Windows Support Forum

Shared printer problem with windows 10 printer default manage

Q: Shared printer problem with windows 10 printer default manage

Hi to all.

I am having an annoing problem with shared printers.

The user that share a printer lose the default printer in any case when another user print on this shared and it turn immediatly default printer only for the user that share the printer.

The printer shared is a label printer without network port and all was working very well before this , in my opinion, unusefull improve.

All user have the " not manage default option" , win 10 pro but seems that "default option" do not effect at all with shared printers.

It is clear that is a very bad working for the sharing printer user that have to check every time what the actual default printer.

any suggestion or is it a win 10 bug ?

ciao

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Shared printer problem with windows 10 printer default manage

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Shared printer problem with windows 10 printer default manage

Not a Windows bug. Helps to know the model and manufacturer of thr label printer.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/42647-shared-printer-problem-windows-10-printer-default-manage.html
Relevancy 80.91%

Help I understand that Windows has a new feature that automatically = printer default Problem "Manage OFF" my -- Printer Default sets your effective default printer to the last device used unless Default Printer Problem -- "Manage my default printer = OFF" you explicitly turn OFF the quot Let Windows manage my default printer quot feature I have turned this feature OFF and checked that it is off a thousand times slight exaggeration However Windows keeps moving my default printer to my DYMO label printer Every other day when I do a Quick Print of a WORD document Default Printer Problem -- "Manage my default printer = OFF" it prints to my DYMO label printer instead of the printer I have set as my default Dell laser printer -- Default Printer Problem -- "Manage my default printer = OFF" and spits out multiple DYMO labels with the contents of my WORD doc I had experienced a similar problem on work PC when Windows was first installed Our IT folks searched for a solution for weeks and yes the new Windows feature was turned OFF but after trying several fixes they gave up and did a clean re-install of Windows which fixed the problem With this success at work with a clean install last weekend I bit the bullet and did a full clean C Drive format and full re-install of Windows including a re-format of my C drive but the problem is back I wondered if Windows was missing my turned OFF feature however when I do a test of using the DYMO Printer it does not move the default printer to the DYMO -- so at the very least the problem is not caused everytime I print to the DYMO label printer Also when you turn ON the quot Let Windows manage my default printer quot the word quot Default quot against your desired printer is replaced by the words quot Last Used quot When this problem is happening the word quot Default quot magically moves from my Dell cn to my DYMO printer on my Printer amp Scanner control panel display in Windows If DYMO driver was doing this switch I do not even know if it has the power to do this you would think it would be consistent on every use of the DYMO however it is not The only regularity seems to be that it happens about once a day -- often on the first use of the PC that day as if gremlins move the default printer setting in the wee hours every night This is driving me off the deep end and every time I search for help on this problem I find of posts explaining that I should turn off the quot Let Windows manage my default printer quot feature BUT I HAVE I just sat down at my PC this morning and again the default printer has switched again to my DYMO and here is a screen shot I took of the stupid Windows feature turned off Is anyone else experience this frustrating problem Can you help Gary

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/48182-default-printer-problem-manage-my-default-printer-off.html
Relevancy 94.6%

I install a printer on windows 7 desktop and shared it so my laptop can print to the printer, but when i tried to install it on my laptop i get the error message "Operation could not be completed (error 0x00000709) Double check the printer name and make sure that the printer is connected to the network."
The printer is in fact installed and it is possible to print a test print, just not set the default printer.i can not set it as default either even after changing the printer from USB to TCP/IP

Relevancy 93.31%

I share a Lexmark Problem Windows Shared 8.1 Printer Platinum Pro printer on my home network I upgraded a Dell WinXPSP machine to a new Dell XPS with GB of ram - Win -bit Both computers act as printer host by Windows 8.1 Shared Printer Problem sharing the USB connected Pro printer The old Dell ran since - and was still functioning when I replaced it with the Dell The Dell is running the recommended -bit Lexmark driver and software LEXMARK Pro wcr en v - All other computers on my network are Win - -bit and are set to print to this Lexmark Pro by installing the print driver by accessing the Pro from the list of network printers The prints fine to the directly connected printer and all other networked computers can print but with significant delay There were no delays with the Win XP machine acting as the network print server I purchased Microsoft Assure and had MS remote into my machines Win and Win but they have found nothing yet I am reaching out to see if a solution to this poor slow shared network printing for Win exists One would expect year newer hardware and software would be at least on par with the old system and Win XP

A:Windows 8.1 Shared Printer Problem

Hi there,

I have moved this Thread to Networking forums to better assist you.

=================================
You might want to fiddle with the ethernet adapters Speed & Duplex settings from Device Managers from the problem computers. Please see image attached.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f138/windows-8-1-shared-printer-problem-888714.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I am having a problem printing on a home network The printer Epson Stylus Color D inkjet is connected by USB to a desktop and Shared Problem Printer is also installed as a shared printer on a laptop The network is set up Shared Printer Problem and running properly - the laptop can connect to the internet via Shared Printer Problem the desktop and file sharing between the two Shared Printer Problem PCs operates normally The printer can be seen on both PCs - on the desktop it is set up to share while on the laptop it shows as a shared printer with the icon underlined in yellow When I send a print job from the laptop it appears in the print queue on the desktop with status as printing and owner as guest but the job never prints OS is Windows XP Home SP I have tried the following - Reinstalling printer on both machines Installing latest Epson driver Setting printer to print direct rather than spooling Checking that print spooling service is started and set to automatic at startup None of the above has made any difference - can anyone help please

A:Shared Printer Problem

Make sure the proper port is configured on the remote computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/48032/shared-printer-problem/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi,
We have five terminals in our parts department, all running Windows XP-PRO. We had an Epson cx6600 printer on one of the stations and set to share with the others. We switched the printer to another terminal and set it up the same way but it will only work from the terminal it is slaved to. We have shared it and added it to the other terminals. We have even gone back to the original set up with the printer attached to the original station and it will now work only with that station!!! We are able to use all of the other shared printers in our network with no problems. We have uninstalled and reinstalled twice but have had no luck. We are going "nuts" trying to figure this out. Any ideas? Thanks.

A:shared printer problem

When you added it to the other terminals did you also remove the original instance of it?
That is to say on one of the non-printer connected terminals you had the network printer "Epson on T1" installed. Now you have added "Epson on T2". If you did not remove "Epson on T1" then your applications may still be defaulting to that (absent) printer.

What apps are you printing from and what error messages do you get when you try to print? If you find the printer on one of the non-printer connected terminals and right click on it to select properties there is a 'print a test page' button. What happens when you try that?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/19807/shared-printer-problem/
Relevancy 84.28%

I have machines one is a desktop running xp sp the other is a laptop running Windows They connect to the internet and with each other through a linksys router I cannot print remotely from the laptop to the desktop which has a printer attached to it I can hook the laptop directly to the printer via usb cable and it prints fine so it isn t a driver problem I have already disabled all firewalls and tried that route it still doesn t print I am able to share folders on the XP machine and access them from the Windows laptop I was able to print to the printer remotely from the laptop prior to upgrading to Windows on the laptop which Shared Problem Printer is what I am trying to print from but it can t be a driver issue because I can print Shared Printer Problem directly to the printer when attached by usb to the printer The router configuration has not changed the xp machine configuration has not changed When connected through the network the Windows laptop quot sees quot the printer and installs it But when I print it says spooling and then the printed item disappears into the ether when printing to the shared printer through the network Any thoughts Oh one other Shared Printer Problem thing if this means anything The printer on the XP machine is set up on USB there is no USB or USB ports that I can select Help David W Norman nbsp

This is a procedure that may work for installing network printers when the normal install doesn't work properly.
Select: Control Panel, Printers, Add Printer
Choose Add Local Printer.
Uncheck the box marked :Automatically detect my PnP printer.
Click Next
Select Create a New Port and leave the default in the drop down selection as Local Port.
Click Next
Windows displays a small dialogue box asking a port name.
Key in: \\<computer_name>\<printer_name> See note below
Click OK
Windows will show a list of printer vendors and models. The list looks just like the Windows Add Hardware Dialog. Select your printer manufacturer and printer model from the list. If your specific printer isn't shown, you can click on Have Disk and browse to the folder where you have the unpacked drivers for your printer.

Note:
<computer_name> - Computer name from Control Panel, System status display.
<printer_name> - The actual name of the network printer viewed by browsing to the shared printer on the network.​

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-printer-problem.880726/
Relevancy 84.28%

HI,

THIS IS THE PROBLEM WITH ONE OF THE CLIENT SYSTEM ACER LOADED WINDOWS XP IN WHICH WE ARE UNABLE TO GIVE PRINT.

KINDLY SEE THE BELOW ATTACHMENT AND PROVIDE THE SOLUTION.

WITH REGARDS,

KESHAVA.K.

A:Problem With The Shared Printer.

Download the driver from HERE and install it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-with-the-shared-printer-289618.html
Relevancy 84.28%

First the specs on the problem pc Pcpitstop link http pc) problem Printer another from (Shared www pcpitstop com techexpress asp id KKBQLWGUL NSPE E It s connected to a Linksys router and can connect with my other pc s just fine But I can t seem to get it to work with my HP OfficeJet v All-In-One printer I have the printer set to shared But when I try to print Printer problem (Shared from another pc) an error pops up telling me I have to install the printer When I double click the add printer wizzard nothing happens The icon goes blue just like when you single click it but nothing else happens Everything was working fine until I had to do a LLF on the host machine due to RMA ing the Abit mobo Reinstalled my old ECS K S A Pro and XP Reloaded W K on the system Everything else seems to work fine On it right now Running W K on all systems Any ideas why I can t get that machine to see the printer nbsp

Relevancy 84.28%

I am having a problem printing on a home network The printer Epson Stylus Color D inkjet is connected by USB to a Printer Problem Shared desktop and is also installed as a shared printer on a laptop The network is set up and running properly - the laptop can connect to the internet via the desktop and file sharing between the two PCs operates normally The printer can be seen on both PCs - on the desktop it is set up to share while on the laptop it shows as a shared printer with the icon underlined in yellow When I send a print job from the laptop it appears in the print queue on the desktop with status as printing and owner as guest but the job never prints OS is Windows XP Home SP I have tried the following - Reinstalling printer on both machines Installing latest Epson driver Setting printer to print direct rather Shared Printer Problem than spooling Checking that print spooling service is started and set to automatic at startup None of the above has made any difference - can anyone help please

can you print okay from the desktop? when the status is 'printing' from the laptop, does it stay that way indefinitely or does it report an error printing at some stage?

when you installed the printer on the laptop you did install it as an network printer?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/shared-printer-problem-94646.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hello all I just recently started setting up a home network have computers in the same workgroup now I have cable broadband hooked to a Linksys-N router with computers wired to it The computer downstairs has the HP Officejet v problem Printer Shared all-in-one printer connected to it via USB Now on my Shared Printer problem PC here I can go to add printer--------- gt network Printer or printer attatched to another--- gt browse for a printer-- gt see the Shared Printer problem computer under the workgroup--- gt double click to see the printer Shared Printer problem attatched to it--- gt then click ok and I now see the network printer icon in my Printers and faxes folder with the big check mark The computer downstairs with the printer is XP-Home mine is Media Center but that shouldn t matter anyway Both PCs have the up to date HP Basic Feature software drivers installed They do have one that says No Network support but I did not D L that driver Now the PC downstairs can print fine but when I try to do just a test print from my computer I crash When I try to just print the web page I am looking at to see if it works it appears to send the job to the printer it activates rolls a piece of paper through but it doesn t print out any data just a blank page Now something odd I did notice is that if I go to print preview for this web page here the preview is gray just blank so I figure this is defnitely why the job goes to the printer and it spits out that blank page I guess this could be a driver issue I know printer sharing is enabled on the downstairs computer someone help me Please nbsp

A:Shared Printer problem

I'd try uninstalling the driver, then install it like you have the printer locally connected. You willhave to pack the printer down and connect it for the install. After the install and getting the drivers working with a local printer, put the printer back on the original machine. In the properties of the printer on the remote machine, go to the Ports tab. Create a new local port and for the port name, use the full network path to the printer, i.e. \\<computer name>\<printer name>

See if that resolves the issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-printer-problem.690837/
Relevancy 84.28%

I am having a problem printing on a home network The printer Epson Stylus Color D inkjet is connected by USB to a desktop and is also installed as a shared printer on a laptop The network is set up Shared Printer Problem and running properly - the laptop can connect to the internet via the desktop and file sharing between the two PCs operates normally The printer can be seen on both PCs - on the desktop it is set up to share while on the laptop it shows as a shared printer with the icon underlined Shared Printer Problem in yellow When I send a print job from the laptop it appears in the print queue on the desktop with status as printing and owner Shared Printer Problem as guest but the job never prints OS is Windows XP Home SP I have tried the following - Reinstalling printer on both machines Installing latest Epson driver Setting printer to print direct rather than spooling Checking that print spooling service is started and set to automatic at startup None of the above has made any difference - can anyone help please nbsp

the problem could be owner 'guest'. 'guest' is a limited account, probably don't have authority.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-printer-problem.453398/
Relevancy 84.28%

Hello all I just recently started setting up a home network have computers in the same workgroup now I have cable broadband hooked to a Linksys-N router with computers wired to it The computer downstairs has the HP Officejet v all-in-one printer connected to it via USB Now on my PC here I can go to add printer--------- gt network Printer or printer attatched to another--- gt browse for a printer-- gt see the computer under the workgroup--- gt double click to see the printer attatched to it--- gt then click ok and I now see the network printer icon in my Printers and faxes folder with the big check mark The computer downstairs with the printer is XP-Home mine is Media Center but that shouldn't matter anyway Both PCs have the up to date HP Shared problem Printer Basic Feature software drivers installed They do have one that says No Network support but I did not D L that driver Now the PC downstairs can Shared Printer problem print fine but when I try to do just a test print from my computer I crash When I try to just print the web page I am looking at to see if it works it appears to send the job to the printer it activates rolls a piece of paper through but it doesn't print out any data just a blank page Now something odd I did notice is that if I go to print preview for this web page here the preview is gray just blank so I figure this is defnitely why the job goes to the printer and it spits out that blank page I guess this could be a driver issue I know printer sharing is enabled on the downstairs computer someone help me Please

A:Shared Printer problem

Can you test by turning off any firewall software on the computer downstairs? Sounds to me like it's having some sort of communications problem.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/shared-printer-problem-227796.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I have a printer attached to my W2K machine that is shared out to my home network. A laptop running XP SP2 was always able to print to the shared printer before now cannot print. I have the settings set to save the spool files on the W2K machine that has the printer direct attached so I can see what was printed and reprint if necessary.The problem is that everytime the XP machine prints, the spool shows the print entry and a status of "printed". However it does NOT print. Nor can I restart the print job. The weirdest part is that when I print a test page from the XP machine it works fine and shows a status of "printed". Does anyone have any ideas for me?
TIA
Len

Relevancy 84.28%

Hi Guys,

I'm getting quite frustrated with this issue and wondering if anyone has seen it, and able to resolve the issue. The issue is I have a network printer selected as the default in Windows 10. I have the option "Let Windows manage my default printer" turned off. At one point randomly, the default printer goes back to the Adobe PDF as the default.

Steps taken:

* I have checked the registry settings to ensure that the options "let Windows manage my default printer" is switched off. I can confirm this.
* Switched the default printer back to the network printer and performed a reboot. The network printer remains as the default. At some point of the day it goes back to Adobe PDF.
* Had a Microsoft support dude to look at the issue, but he has no idea either.

A few of my pilot users has also experience the same issue. Any ideas anyone?

A:Default network printer randomly defaults to the adobe PDF printer

Originally Posted by eichenbe

Hi Guys,

I'm getting quite frustrated with this issue and wondering if anyone has seen it, and able to resolve the issue. The issue is I have a network printer selected as the default in Windows 10. I have the option "Let Windows manage my default printer" turned off. At one point randomly, the default printer goes back to the Adobe PDF as the default.

Steps taken:

* I have checked the registry settings to ensure that the options "let Windows manage my default printer" is switched off. I can confirm this.
* Switched the default printer back to the network printer and performed a reboot. The network printer remains as the default. At some point of the day it goes back to Adobe PDF.

How mine is set up is
In settings
Go to Printer icon
Make sure your named printer is in default.
Turn on let Window manage your default printer.

Printer - Turn On or Off Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer

That way if your printer you named was the last one used
The next time you go to print
Your printer should appear

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/38644-default-network-printer-randomly-defaults-adobe-pdf-printer.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi Guys,

Steps taken:

A:Default network printer randomly defaults to the adobe PDF printer

Originally Posted by eichenbe

Hi Guys,

Steps taken:

How mine is set up is
In settings
Go to Printer icon
Make sure your named printer is in default.
Turn on let Window manage your default printer.

Printer - Turn On or Off Let Windows 10 Manage Default Printer

That way if your printer you named was the last one used
The next time you go to print
Your printer should appear

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/38644-default-network-printer-randomly-defaults-adobe-pdf-printer.html
Relevancy 83.42%

This morning we installed Win2k service pack 4 on our server. Shortly after, our networked HP LaserJet 4si stopped printing correctly. Test pages still printed fine, but everything else would come out blank or with a single line on it. I remember having a similar problem last year and I found advice somewhere that said to install the LaserJet 5si drivers, and it worked at the time. I tried that again and it didnít work. I brought the printer over to my desk and installed it locally with the 5si drivers and it worked perfectly (I have W2k sp3). I put it back on a network connection, deleted and reinstalled it on the server, and I still get the problem of being able to print test pages but not anything else. Also it now shows one document in the printing queue that canít be removed by pausing and canceling all documents. Any suggestions?

A:Shared Printer: HP LaserJet4si problem

I got a chance to restart print spooling so I at least got rid of the document in queue, I'm still having problems printing. I thought for a second it was a problem with file size since I could print a 1-line txt file but not a 1-line MS Word file. Then I tried a 21kb txt file and it worked while a 19kb Word file doesn't...

I am now fairly certain that it is a fonts problem since Notepad works but Word doesn't. Also I can print out the google homepage but it comes up with just the big "Google" (a jpg) and the underlines for the hyperlinks, but no text at all. I'm curious as to why there would be a problem with fonts all the sudden even though they printed fine from my computer and they used to print fine from the server computer as well. I'm kind of stuck now...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-printer-hp-laserjet4si-problem.147146/
Relevancy 82.99%

Have home net with 5 XP machines, one new Dell with Windows 7 (x64). Printers are attached to xp-Pro machines. Printer is Lexmark x8350. Went to Lexmark for drivers for Win 7, downloaded and executed. Loaded the (x64) drivers. Printer works fine directly attached to Win 7 machines. When printer is connected to XP, can see the machine and printer, when attempt to connect it gives "Cannot Connect error". Tried to create Local Port pointing to xp machine. Did not work. When trying to add new printer, asks for driver accepted driver installed and starts to install printer. Computer hangs on install. Help

A:XP shared Printer Win 7 cannot connect though can see printer

Within your router is uPNP enabled?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/215097-xp-shared-printer-win-7-cannot-connect-though-can-see-printer.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hello TSG's. I hope u can help with this one. I will try and give as much info. as I can. I have a PC running Winxp Pro. with an HP 1220 all in one printer connecting through USB. Printer works fine as stand alone. The problem is when I try to print from my IBM laptop (Win2k) or my wifes' laptop (WinXP Pro.), nothing happens. I have file and printer sharing enabled on all PC's. I can even browse and find the printer and setup with no problems. If I even do a test page, it will spool and if you look at the status, it says Error-printing. This printer is connected via USB on the XP desktop. Any ideas?

A:Problem printing from laptop to shared HP printer

are you sure the printer works? and if so...do you have the correct drivers installed?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-printing-from-laptop-to-shared-hp-printer.214590/
Relevancy 82.56%

Dear friends

I have two pcs with Vista, and in one of them Im trying to share a printer

In the other vista machine I cant see the server machine in the network, so I opened Explorer and accessed it trough \\machine_name, and I could succesfully add the printer

However when I try to print the print job remains in spool till I reboot the server machine.

I applied these policies as suggested in other threads

Local Computer Policies\Administrative Templates\Printers
Allow print spooler to accept client connections > to enabled

User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Control Panel\Printers\ Point and Print Restrictions > to disabled
and tried to disable the bidirectional support, but when I do that it wont let me print even locally, so I had to enable it back

What else can I do?

Thanks in advance for your help

A:Problem printing in vista's shared printer

I know this is simple and you probably already tried but I had the same problem and went into "network and sharing center" and found a combo of printer sharing "on" and password protected sharing "off" seemed to do the job. You may check these settings and see what happens.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/214362-problem-printing-vistas-shared-printer.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Why does my default printer keep changing to microsfot XP printer? I have tried deleting it changing it and every time with in a matter of hours it changes back. I am running the windows 10

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/eaa0f2d7-39ac-4287-b1fd-c2e11365be92/default-printer-keeps-changing-to-microsoft-xp-printer?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi Can anyone tell Windows problem Printer with and Printer HP8650 Vista me and give me a step-by-step instruction how to synchronize MS Outlook with the printer HP Office Jet Pro All I want to accomplish is to make a Scan to Email and Printer problem with Windows Vista and HP8650 Printer MS Outlook being the program responsible for it and therefor automatically should open I had done this with dozens of printers but somehow can t get it accomplished with the HP Office Jet Pro What I do is - Click Scan on the printer touch-screen menu - Click Scan to Email on the printer touch-screen menu Then the following message appears No Network Connection To use Printer problem with Windows Vista and HP8650 Printer this feature the All-In-One must be connected to the network For more information see the documentation I DO NOT want a network connection or anything I just want MS Outlook to be the responsible program plain and simple - nothing fancy or special Everything else fax printer amp copy work without any problems at all Please help Thanks a lot Manny nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/printer-problem-with-windows-vista-and-hp8650-printer.839264/
Relevancy 81.27%

I am having what seems to be a very common issue - Windows computer unable to access a shared printer connected 7 shared XP to Windows a access on printer to an XP Home machine I have tried tried several of the quot fixes quot suggested in this forum but no luck Here is the configuration I have an HP printer connected to an XP Home machine The Windows 7 access to a shared printer on XP printer is shared and I can access it from another desktop XP Home connected to the local network via a cable and a laptop XP Professional connected via a wireless connection I have another Windows laptop Lenovo X tablet where I am having trouble First I can see the computer and printer in the networking section When I click on the printer to access it I get an quot Windows cannot connect to the printer Access is denied quot I have gone through the procedure of installing a printer on a local port using the configuration hostcomputer sharedprintername This allowed me to install the printer and driver The printer show up on my list of device I can print to it from applications - it will move through the printer Windows 7 access to a shared printer on XP queue but nothing will happen on the printer Any suggestions would be welcome thanks David

A:Windows 7 access to a shared printer on XP

Thanks for the reply. I checked all the settings as you suggested. The only one that was not correct was the one to use passwords and user accounts to connect.

When I use the add printer wizard it sees the printer but then gives me the access denied. See snapshot below. Also, I can see all the computer connected the network. When I click on the computer with the shared printer I can see the printer. If I click to connect I get the same error - please see snapshots.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/21951-windows-7-access-shared-printer-xp.html
Relevancy 81.27%

okay so i have 2 laptops and an XP machina on m desk wich is connected to a printer, I created a homegroup for for the 2 windows 7 laptops but windows XP couldn't join so I left the homegroup account and am now trying to conect to the shared printer of XP, any help on how to do this would be great

A:how does windows 7 connect to shared XP printer?

Quote: Originally Posted by Thijzzzzz

okay so i have 2 laptops and an XP machina on m desk wich is connected to a printer, I created a homegroup for for the 2 windows 7 laptops but windows XP couldn't join so I left the homegroup account and am now trying to conect to the shared printer of XP, any help on how to do this would be great

This tutorial on the subject should be helpful.

Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/280812-how-does-windows-7-connect-shared-xp-printer.html
Relevancy 81.27%

i have been running windows 7 rc1 for a while now, I have a HP laserjet 1018 installed as a shared printer on a windows xp machine. From windows 7 rc1 I send jobs to this printer no problem. However, on my new retail version of windows 7 professional 32 bit the printer does not respond to print jobs. The document sits in the que for a few seconds then it just disappears.

A:installing a shared printer on windows 7

Quote: Originally Posted by techieguy

i have been running windows 7 rc1 for a while now, I have a HP laserjet 1018 installed as a shared printer on a windows xp machine. From windows 7 rc1 I send jobs to this printer no problem. However, on my new retail version of windows 7 professional 32 bit the printer does not respond to print jobs. The document sits in the que for a few seconds then it just disappears.

Hello techieguy, and welcome to Windows Seven Forums! Nice to meet you.

You could try plugging the printer into the 7 pro 32 machine and allow windows to install the driver. See if you are able to print directly. Then put the printer back on the XP machine and setup the device (the printer) again as a networked printer and check.

Question: Do all computers networked belong to the same "workgroup name" (not homegroup)?

Cheers!

Robert

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/25170-installing-shared-printer-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I am running Windows on two systems a desktop and a laptop printer. Solved: and shared non 7 Windows I am trying to share a printer on the desktop I had the sharing accomplished by assigning each computer to the same workgroup I then took my laptop to my son s house where they have a wireless network Next I returned to my Solved: Windows 7 and non shared printer. house and when I tried to print it refused stating that the printer was offline I did not mess with any printer settings while at my son s house just used the wireless connection to connect to the internet I am using ZoneAlarm Firewall Pro and ZoneAlarm Antivirus I Solved: Windows 7 and non shared printer. hope that someone can help me Troubleshooting I tried pinging the desktop from the laptop and the laptop from the desktop from the cmd interface This worked fine a The shared files showup as expected I stopped ZoneAlarm from running and then stopped Windows Firewall from running Then I tried to print from the laptop again Still the printer was reported offline Then I changed the workgroup names on each computer and restarted Still the printer was reported offline The ipconfig all for the desktop is Windows IP Configuration Host Name GatewayDesktop Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List Belkin Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Belkin Description Intel R PRO VE Network Connection Physical Address - C-F -CF-B - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday August PM Lease Expires Friday October AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled C Users Owner gt a The netbios for the desktop is Local Area Connection Node IpAddress Scope Id NetBIOS Local Name Table Name Type Status --------------------------------------------- GATEWAYDESKTOP lt gt UNIQUE Registered MSHOME lt gt GROUP Registered GATEWAYDESKTOP lt gt UNIQUE Registered MSHOME lt E gt GROUP Registered C Users Owner gt The ipconfig all data for the laptop Windows IP Configuration Host Name LaptopComputer Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List Belkin Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address Solved: Windows 7 and non shared printer. - - D-E - -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Belkin Description Realtek RTL SE Wireless LAN n PC I-E NIC Physical Address - - D-E - -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe b a d Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday August PM Lease Expires Friday October AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -B - -B - -AE- D- B- C-DF DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Belkin Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address -AE- D- B- C-DF DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap Belkin Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Belkin Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address e d d a Pref erred Link-local IPv Address fe d d a Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled C Users Ow... Read more

A:Solved: Windows 7 and non shared printer.

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

PING each remote computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. Open a command prompt as described above and type.

PING <ip address>
or
PING <computer name>

Where:
<ip address> - is the x.x.x.x IP address
<computer name> - is the computer name

A failure to PING is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Any failure to PING needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Note: You can obtain the IP address and computer name of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG /ALL. This should work for any Windows version. The IPCONFIG /ALL display will provide a wealth of useful information for debugging your network connection.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:

COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic.

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.
All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Places (Network and Sharing Center in Vista), make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login. NOTE: Vista's default is to require a password on the account to enable file/print sharing.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing. You can open a command prompt as described above and type the following command: nbtstat -n. This will display the status of NetBIOS or indicate it's not configured.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-7-and-non-shared-printer.946858/
Relevancy 80.84%

Hello i Have the above problem while I try to share a printer on a domain network.
My windows firewall (localy) is also damage, is that the problem that I have to solve first?

Windows 8  - cannot share a printer error message appears "[Window Title] Printer Properties  [Main Instruction] Printer settings could not be saved.  There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper.   [OK]

A:Windows 8 - cannot share a printer error message appears "[Window Title] Printer Properties [Main Instruction] Printer settings could not be saved. There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper. [OK]

You may need to reinstall the printer. Remove the printer driver from Control Panel\Programs and Features, then add the printer from Devices and Printers.

Please note that if the printer driver is not in the list in Devices and Printers, I suspect that the printer is currently not compatible with Windows 8. In this case I suggest you contact the printer manfuacturer for more information.
Please remember to click ?Mark as Answer? on the post that helps you, and to click ?Unmark as Answer? if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c50023fb-6450-40ee-8239-5ab532f29b7d/windows-8-cannot-share-a-printer-error-message-appears-quotwindow-title-printer-properties?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 80.84%

I have a home network consisting of a company-issued WinXP Pro desktop HP and a personal Win Home Premium laptop HP The WinXP machine has a HP printer hp PSC connected via USB This printer is quot shared quot by the WinXP machine shared as quot hppsc quot Unfortunately the WinXP machine uses a work-related domain name and can't be changed It's not on a quot WORKGROUP quot Both machines are on the same LAN but aren't in the same WinXP shared creating network from printer Problem on Win7 workgroup homegroup or domain WinXP Problem creating network printer on Win7 shared from WinXP box is on Win box has ip I want to create a network printer on my new Win box for this printer If I use quot Add a Printer Add a network wireless or Bluetooth Printer quot the Win box does not quot see quot this printer even though it's shared I assume because of the domain group differences So I try quot My printer wasn't listed quot and I try to use the quot Select a shared printer by name quot When I try to specify the name hppsc I get a Error quot Windows failed to connect to the printer quot operation failed with error x f Can anyone suggest a remedy

A:Problem creating network printer on Win7 shared from WinXP

If you want the printer to be in the network, then all the computers has to be in the same work group.
See, how to change the work group of your computer:
How to change your Computer Name (or Workgroup) in Windows XP – Simple Help

Then only the printer can be configured with those computer. Even if your printer is not wireless capable and your wireless router has a USB port, printer can be made as a network printer.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/215109-problem-creating-network-printer-win7-shared-winxp.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Windows 8 and 10 PCs were able to access printer and drive/files through shared printer and network sharing (map network drive) from Windows 7 PC. Upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10 and now those other PCs cannot access printer nor the drive/files. I have been googling and searching on answers and nothing seems to help. Can finally map to network drive on windows 8 PC, but then is says access denied.

A:Trying to access shared files and printer from Windows 10 PC

Your question isn't clear. Are the shared files/printers located on the recently upgraded PC? And, you're trying to access them from the Windows 8 and Windows 10 PCs?What type of Home Sharing did you setup on the newly upgraded system? Have you verified permissions?

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/trying-to-access-shared-files-and-printer-from-windows-10-pc/502.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I have a shared printer on this network, I'm trying to connect to it from another pc and it is asking me for user name and pass word for the printer on the network which I do not have. The pc I want to connect from has 2 accounts one connected but the other won't without credentials I'm not sure whats going on any help?

A:I'm Dumb. shared printer wants credentials windows 10

Try this tutor Share a printer - Windows Help

http://www.pchelpforum.com/network-help/126712-im-dumb-shared-printer-wants-credentials-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi guys,

I was trying to search the web and this forums for an answer to this question but I couldn't find any sing of solution...

Problem is with this single PC in our LAN that is running windows 7 pro.
Whenever user reboots the computer and tries to print something on our shared printer he will be prompt with the re install driver message.

Other PCs are using shared printer without any issue and there are all kinds of PCs, running XP, Windows 7 x64, Windows 7 x86 etc...

Although after re-installation printing is successful this can be quite frustrating as sometimes happens few times on a daily basis.

Any ideas why this is happening?

btw, there is only one user account on problematic PC and that user account has administrator privileges.

Thanks
Dean

A:Windows 7 pro keeps re installing shared printer driver.

Hi Dolke , I am not an expert on this.. but.. could you give specs on the problematic computer.. I am sure it has all its updates.. this issue should not be happening if set up correctly for sharing .. i am stumped ..give us more info on the one computer and the type of network connections you have made for it to share .. lets see if we can get this sorted out..

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/354687-windows-7-pro-keeps-re-installing-shared-printer-driver.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi Everyone I have setup a Kyocera FS- D KX printer on a Windows x computer On the Windows computer the printer is connected by LPT port Within Windows the printer is set to Share so that it is available over the network to other Workgroup Computers On an XP computer I have added the printer by using the Add Printer dialogue During initial setup of the printer XP stated that it would quot automatically get a driver from the host computer quot however it failed to do this and as a result presented me with an additional dialogue which I used to browse for an appropriate driver file I am unable to print a test page from the XP computer furthermore there is some strange behaviour when right clicking on the printer and selecting Printing Preferences I have created a YouTube video explaining the issues at hand please take a look Kyocera Driver Issue I believe that there is a basic incompatibility between the host Windows x computers drivers and those of the guest XP more specifically I think that these are driven by the fact that the host is bit and the guest is bit If anybody has any advice on how to overcome this issue whilst leaving the printer connected by LPT to Windows x can you please let me know Kind Regards Davo nbsp

A:Can't print from XP to shared Windows 7 Kyocera printer

You need to add the XP drivers for the Windows 7 machine. Go into devices and printers, highlight the print and click server properties at the top of the Windows. Click over to the drivers tap and click add, it will prompt you for the location of the Windows XP driver.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-print-from-xp-to-shared-windows-7-kyocera-printer.1093757/
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi Everyone printer Windows 7 XP shared Kyocera print Can't from to I have setup a Kyocera FS- D KX printer on a Windows x computer On the Windows computer the printer is connected by LPT port Within Windows the printer is set to Share so that it is available over the network to other Workgroup Computers On Can't print from XP to shared Windows 7 Kyocera printer an XP computer I have added the printer by using the Add Printer dialogue During initial setup of the printer XP stated that it would quot automatically get a driver from the host computer quot however it failed to do this and as a result presented me with an additional dialogue which I used to browse for an appropriate driver file I am unable to print a test page from the XP computer furthermore there is some strange behaviour when right clicking on the printer and selecting Printing Preferences I have created a YouTube video explaining the issues at hand please take a look Kyocera Driver Issue I believe that there is a basic incompatibility between the host Windows x computers drivers and those of the guest XP more specifically I think that these are driven by the fact that the host is bit and the guest is bit If anybody has any advice on how to overcome this issue whilst leaving the printer connected by LPT to Windows x can you please let me know Kind Regards Davo

A:Can't print from XP to shared Windows 7 Kyocera printer

I would just try to get the matching 32 bit XP driver from Kyocera and install in manually. That's how I did it decades ago when the printer ran on a W2000 server and I had to use it from WfW Desktops

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/283140-cant-print-xp-shared-windows-7-kyocera-printer.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi I'm on 4printer pc printer Problem driver othr connected&shared installing facing a dilemma here Windows is awesome with automatic driver detection for new hardware however now I'm facing a problem PC is running Windows and is connected to local Problem installing printer driver 4printer connected&shared on othr pc area network PC is running Windows XP and is sharing my office printer connected to LPT Printer LaserJet pcl shared Printer is installed on XP using drivers from HP website A few months ago Microsoft released a driver for Windows Problem installing printer driver 4printer connected&shared on othr pc for the HP LJ so when you connect this printer to your computer it can automatically install the driver from the Microsoft Windows online driver database This is also what HP says and because of this it's not making the driver available for download This makes me sad because when I want to connect to the printer shared on my other machine running XP using windows it tells me the drivers aren't found on the network which is logical because it's offering XP drivers How do I proceed to get the drivers for Windows so I can print over my local area network from PC to PC Kind regards and thanks for your time P S It tells me the drivers aren't found on the network and lets me select a location to install them from but since I can't download them from the HP site and I don't know where to download the ones microsoft is offering I can't use that option

A:Problem installing printer driver 4printer connected&shared on othr pc

You can try running the vista installation in compatibility mode.
I think it will work as it's a very basic driver type anyway.
HP LaserJet 4000 Printer series*-* Download drivers and software - HP Business Support Center

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/204304-problem-installing-printer-driver-4printer-connected-shared-othr-pc.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello posted this in Office but I think its more of a windows problem if anyone can help me please ?
Hi, new to this and not a techy Since either installing a new hp 7500 or doing my windows updates i cannot set the printer as the default. Its there and installed and I can print Word documents but cannot print excel or web stuff. Tried MS helpline who say its the hp printer called them who took me through some checks and they say all ok with the printer. Im kinda thinking aaaaaaaah Can anyone help
Cheers Col.

A:Default printer problem

It's a good idea when you come on this forum to use the Quick Links(you should see it near the top right section of the forum page in your browser - may vary depending on the forum skin you are running) then click Edit System Spec.

Otherwise it's almost unavoidable that the next 10 posts in this thread will be asking you what hardware, software, and amount of memory you have, etc..

Also if you post another problem clicking the specs button is all that's need to find your info.
If you have HP equipment it's well worth signing up to this forum:
HP Business Support Center

Even though it says "business" it's not a paid support. It's just people who all own HP equipment. I find there are many people on that forum who have used HP for years. Often they are more knowledgeable than phone support staff. A hotmail address works fine for signing up. It's free. Also there are downloads with original drivers and updates, and the software package as well as User Manual in PDF for any HP hardware you are likely to have.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/298148-default-printer-problem.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Here is a very annoying problem...

I have several printers listed in Control Panel/Printers and Faxes. The one I use most of the time is the fourth one in the alphabetical listing. I select "HP Photosmart 6100 series" and set it as default printer and use it..prints just fine. Later on, when I try to print, I find that the default printer is now set for "Auto HP...", the first alphabetical entry. Haven't figured out what causes the reset; different program, different session, etc.

Any ideas?

John

Relevancy 79.55%

I have switched over to Vista Business Operating System, I can print to the local Printer but cannot print to any printer attached to Windows'98 Computers within the same workgroup.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/unable-to-print-from-vista-to-a-windows-98-shared-printer-330477.html
Relevancy 79.55%

I m having some trouble setting up a network printer on Windows I have it shared out on a closed LAN and all the other PCs on the network which are running XP have no problem finding the printer and adding it The system also does not appear to have a problem seeking out and finding the shared printer and it adds it in but when you go to print a test page nothing happens Upon looking at the Ports tab under the printers Properties window it looks like the port it s associating with this printer is some sort of quot Virtual USB quot port instead of server d All of the buttons in this ports tab are greyed out shared XP on printer from Solved: Printing to 2000 Windows so I can t create a new port to add at this point I can right click on the printers inventory window and click Server Settings and create a port that reflects the port server dserver printer name as is the way it s presented to the network but when you go back to the ports tab for the printer properties it doesn t show up and I can t change the selection from one port to another anyway Windows is running service pack if that helps anyone out there I don t know if there are reverse-compatibility Solved: Printing from Windows 2000 to shared printer on XP issues involved here nbsp

A:Solved: Printing from Windows 2000 to shared printer on XP

Nevermind. For some reason, after rebooting 2000, it just worked. Go figure!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-printing-from-windows-2000-to-shared-printer-on-xp.834225/
Relevancy 78.69%

I have a HP Photosmart 8250 attached to a Linksys wireless print server. Everything works great except that the Photosmart keeps taking the default role. The printer is installed on 6 workstations and it happens on all of them. I've tried reinstalling the print driver and the print server driver. Any suggestions?

A:My printer keeps making itself the default printer

........ .......

How many other printers do you have?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-printer-keeps-making-itself-the-default-printer-80508.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Solved issue about sharp AR M-236 in Windows 8. I've been trying to connect to a shared printer on an OS running on Windows XP. No drivers were given for Winows 8. The first thing to do is disabling driver signature in Windows 8 that is given as default:
Disable Driver Signature Verification

Then you have to install the driver (depending on 64-bit or 32-bit architecture):
http://www.tradenet.sharp.co.uk/file.../ARM236664.exe
http://www.tradenet.sharp.co.uk/file.../ARM236615.exe

During installation you will be asked to specify whether the printer is shared or directly connected. Choose shared and then specify the canonical windows path, for example:
\\John\SHARPAR-236

where John is the computer where the copier Sharp Ar-m236 is installed and working...

Hope it helps

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/17025-solved-issue-shared-printer-sharp-ar-m236-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi everybody, I have a dilemna. A user on our network doesn't like the name of the HP laserjet printers she uses. These printers are set up on our Windows 2000 server with standard names such as '\\server\Executive Level 1 B&W Laser' and similar. The user wants us to change this to something like '\\server\Black and White'. Now we aren't going to do this on the server, it will be to confusing. Is there a way in Windows XP to change the display name of such a printer, only on the client PC? A registry hack perhaps? I have searched around, but can't find anything relevant. PLEASE HELP!

A:How can I change the display name locally of a Windows 2000 shared printer

I don't believe there is a way to change just a local name for the printer, windows will only recognize the printer exists with one name, assigned during install. It effects both the driver and the OS, the name has to be constant or you risk possible communication errors with the printer, creating more headaches for you. Sorry for the bad news, if anyone out there does find a reg hack for you, post it so I can see, I would be curious to see it work.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-can-i-change-the-display-name-locally-of-a-windows-2000-shared-printer-15214.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hello In my office I have three computers two of them running Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate and the third running Microsoft Windows XP Professional The three computers can all access each others files through shared folders and they all operate off a wireless network The desktop computer running Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate and the desktop computer running Microsoft Windows XP Professional both access the shared printer a Canon MP without any problems and the print normally However the laptop computer running Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate is awfully slow to allow to print For example if I have text in Notepad that I wish to print when I click on File Print it can take up to two or three minutes for the dialogue box to appear When I click Print from there it can take up to five minutes before the printer becomes active and begins to print the document How can I fix Vista With Windows Microsoft Slow On Printer Shared Printing this Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 77.83%

I hooked up a printer to my grandmother's laptop. Everything installed fine and it is set to be the default printer. However, whenever we hit the print button in whatever program we're using an error message pops up and tells us that no default printer is selected. Furthermore, when I check the print dialog box the installed printer is selected in the drop down menu, but the print button in the same window refuses to light up. I'm guessing this might have to do with old drivers, but if not how do I get the printer to be recognized as default. The printer is a Lexmark x1270 and she's running Vista Home. Thanks all.

A:Default printer is not being recognized as the default printer.

You probably need the updated driver.

Try here:
http://windows-vista-updates.blogspot.com/2007/09/lexmark-x1270-vista-driver.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/default-printer-is-not-being-recognized-as-the-default-printer.763417/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hello there I have a pc with win vista bit who has attached to it a Konika Windows connection printer shared workstations 7 Vista err and Windows Minolta Bizhub copier who does not have a network card All computers on the network that are running windows xp or vista bit or bit are connecting and printing without problems but the machines that are running windows bit or bit are not Windows machines are able to connect to the shares on that machine read or write files can see the Windows Vista shared printer and Windows 7 workstations connection err shared printer but when it comes to connecting to it they all fail with the same error Could not connect to printer error x d I've tried defining a local port with the name address of the printer ip port with the ip of the print server i have been searching the microsoft database and nothing i found so far didn't help me The fun part is that they all worked fine before but suddenly windows machines stopped printing In that day or previous days the print server did not installed any updates has updating feature turned off nobody did anything to it neither to the other machines actually they all had updating feature turned off because we do not love microsoft quot fixes quot and blue screens So any suggestions for me from the community

A:Windows Vista shared printer and Windows 7 workstations connection err

You might try to uninstall any recent Windows 7 updates that may have been recently installed.

I can't think of any other reason why this problem would just appear.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/319187-windows-vista-shared-printer-windows-7-workstations-connection-err.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello again Thanks to this forum over last two weeks I have now set up my new laptop - but there are just two further poinst I need help with When I went to print a PDF yesterday I had a problem as my HP attached printer did not show It only showed as an email printer However when I clicked on 'more' below this it appeared and I was able to print my document The problem is that when I went back in next time I had to do the same Can I somehow make printer 'default' Windows Making a 8.1 in this the default printer as I use to in Windows then it would appear at the top of the list in future when I press Cntl Making a printer 'default' in Windows 8.1 P On my previous Win laptop I was able to see all my programs in a list thru 'start' inc accessories and tools such as clean up and defrag Try as I might I cannot sem to find this list anymore Thanks everyone

A:Making a printer 'default' in Windows 8.1

Maybe try---

tools such as clean up and defrag

edit---

A simple test I did was with Notepad---

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/66212-making-printer-default-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi all,

I have 2 pc's both running windows 10 and 1 of the pc's has 2 printers installed.

The samung printer is default and a zebra thermal printers is the other printer.

The problem i have is that the other network pc which access's the printers keeps changing the default printer.

I have changed the "let windows manage my default printer" settings on both pc's but still it keeps changing the default printer.

Any ideas please as doing my nut in !

Thanks

A:default printer keeps changing in windows 10 despite changes

W10 has the ability to sync settings between devices and this is may be what is happening. In the screen below the Other Windows settings category does include printer settings so you could try turning it off and see if it makes a difference.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/52642-default-printer-keeps-changing-windows-10-despite-changes.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hello all!

I just installed the RP and loving it. The only issue I have is that I cannot set my default printer! The option isnt even available when you right click the printer. I know from experience, if you are logged in as a temp profile, you cannot perform any actions such as this. I think I might BE logging in with a temp profile, but under users it shows my name, and administrator so Im confused. Any ideas??

A:Default printer issue with Windows 8

Where are you right clicking? You have tried Control Panel - Devices and printers?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/7845-default-printer-issue-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I have to keep resetting my default printer in Windows 7. This happens at home with my Oki C5100 and at work with a Lexmark C544. I will go to print a document and get a message that I must choose a printer, and I'll need to reset the default. Is there a fix for this?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5bebf38c-a64b-43da-98d7-9f06980f91ed/windows-7-keeps-changing-the-default-printer?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 75.68%

Hey guys,

Windows 7 had a feature where windows would select your default printer based on which network you are logged onto.

I cannot seem to find this feature in windows 10 for the life of me.

Has it been removed? I'm hoping it hasn't or there is at least some kind of registry hack to bring it back. What they seemed to have replaced this feature with "last printer used turns into default printer" is absolutely useless in my opinion. I can think of very few scenarios where that is actually helpful.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/54100-location-based-default-printer-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I found this threat on the site and I am having the exact same default checkmark printer Windows XP disappears problem with client PC s at the credit union where I work Does anybody have any ideas on a fix quot I m a client support technician at a hospital with PC s of them being Windows XP the other techs and I have had this problem for months now where random computers will Windows XP default printer checkmark disappears lose the default printer checkmark no printer has the checkmark and users cannot set a default printer nor print unless the techs reset the print Windows XP default printer checkmark disappears spooler service or re-install a printer which in effect resets the print spooler service anyway This seems to be independent of hardware or specific software Windows XP default printer checkmark disappears or whether or not it is an autologin profile Several of us have spent hours on Google trying to find anyone who has a similar situation but to no avail the closest we have come is to seeing that it is possible that if the profile is sufficiently large the profile is still loading when the print spooler tries to start but since the profile is still loading the service never starts we have looked at a couple machines that this has happened on and the profile in question was indeed large gt MB but I have just seen the same issue on a machine where the associated profile was relatively small lt MB We know it is not a computer-specific issue because given one PC one user will have the problem but another user logs in and the problem isn t there Out of or so PCs this has only happened on about - in our environment quot nbsp

Relevancy 75.68%

I m a client support technician at a hospital with PC s of them being Windows XP the other techs and printer disappears checkmark Windows default XP I have had this problem Windows XP default printer checkmark disappears for months now where random computers will lose the default printer checkmark no Windows XP default printer checkmark disappears printer has the checkmark and users cannot set a default printer nor print unless the techs reset Windows XP default printer checkmark disappears the print spooler service or re-install a printer which in effect resets the print spooler service anyway This seems to be independent of hardware or specific software or whether or not it is an autologin profile Several of us have spent hours on Google trying to find anyone who has a similar situation but to no avail the closest we have come is to seeing that it is possible that if the profile is sufficiently large the profile is still loading when the print spooler tries to start but since the profile is still loading the service never starts we have looked at a couple machines that this has happened on and the profile in question was indeed large gt MB but I have just seen the same issue on a machine where the associated profile was relatively small lt MB We know it is not a computer-specific issue because given one PC one user will have the problem but another user logs in and the problem isn t there Out of or so PCs this has only happened on about - in our environment Any thoughts nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-default-printer-checkmark-disappears.859923/
Relevancy 74.82%

To the point...before I upgrade to Windows 10, I use Windows 8.1 Pro, I can shared printer to Windows xp sp2 but after I upgrade I can't connect to Windows xp..why...can you tell me how to connect to Windows xp sp2 ?
Thanks
Joe

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4ae24275-cc10-4910-af3f-3796a73fa799/how-to-connecting-windows-10-shared-printer-to-windows-xp?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 74.82%

Hi all,

Printer HP Laser Jet P2015 attached and shared on a windows 7 home premium machine and there is no problem if i print to it directly. Other windows Xp machines on the same LAN can connect to it but can not print to it. And there are no error displayed. Pls give me some suggestions. Thanks

A:Windows XP cannot print to printer shared on windows 7

Here your go: Share Files and Printers between Windows 7 and XP - How-To Geek

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/79963-windows-xp-cannot-print-printer-shared-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Hi I am not a 100 percent sure if this a first or not but I have a samsung clp-300 hooked up to my 64 bit win 7 and am sharing on the network with a 32 bit win 7. Every time I try to print from the 32 bit win 7 I keep getting an error "windows cannot print due to current printer setup". I have looked through the internet and this forum but, everyone seem to have problems between different OS's and non of the solution worked for me at all. The printer shows up in all the programs on the 32 bit and I have put it as default yet I cant print anything from the 32 bit at all. Some help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

A:windows 7 64bit and windows 7 32 bit shared printer

You can always try the manual method if you havn't already.
XP to 7 Printer sharing

Are you using Homegroups for networking your Windows 7 machines?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/54513-windows-7-64bit-windows-7-32-bit-shared-printer.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi, having some problems with Windows Default scanner interface. Epson SX410 networked printer (connected to a router and serves a number of PC's, all Win7 64bit).

We have some specific software used to scan customer information into the program, sadly its been designed to use Windows default scanner interface.

The scanner does work through Epson Scan, and a few months ago I had successfully added so it functioned through "Scanners and Camera", accept since then the router has been swapped and for the life of me I can't figure out what, and how I'd managed to do it?

The device is simply not detected by "Microsoft Scan Service".

So the scanner works fine, accept not through the default windows 7 scanning software which is what I need.

Any suggestions?

Ive tried obviously re-adding the printer.

Thanks, James

A:Epson BX310 network printer - windows default scanner.

Hello and welcome Gorlist mate rather obvious I know but have you tried reinstalling the drivers??
Epson Stylus SX410 : Drivers & Software

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/294095-epson-bx310-network-printer-windows-default-scanner.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Windows 7 host with HP printer. 2 laptops (xp,vista ) in network. Have been able to print from both laptops when host is being used. When host times out laptops unable to print. Setting I'm missing?

A:Shared printer

Lucky. I have a similar setup except the host is running XP. I cannot get the printer to show up on the other computers...

Your host PC is probably going to power saving mode (sleep/hibernate) etc severing connections with your network. Change the host PC settings and you'll be fine

Optimize Windows 7 This might help

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/82863-shared-printer.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Okay, I have set up my wireless network and it is purring nicely but now I am totally stumped by my newest problem which is our shared printer. The printer is on my desktop and I have gone ahead and set it all up with both computers but you just cannot print from my wife's laptop. I have gone thru the trouble shooter and went as far as pinging each computer from the other. I can ping the desktop from the laptop but not the laptop from the desktop. Any clues here would be GREATLY appreciated.

A:Shared Printer

"I can ping the desktop from the laptop but not the laptop from the desktop."

My first guess would be a firewall on the laptop is blocking access. Turn off Windows XP firewall and uninstall any others to see if this is your problem. Could be affecting the printing also.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-printer.376442/
Relevancy 73.1%

I have a shared printer connected to an XP machine. I bought a MAC powerbook today and would like to connect to the printer. Could someone be kind enough to provide the steps necessary to connect my mac to the printer?

Printer: canon pixma mp500, connected to PC running XP pro (sp2). Currently just set up as workgroup. The MAC will be connecting to workgroup via wireless

Thanks in advance

JP

A:shared printer

http://iharder.sourceforge.net/current/macosx/winmacprinter/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-printer.690372/
Relevancy 73.1%

I have an hp psc 1410 printer hosted on win98 se machine. There share is set up correctly on the machine as I can see a hand underneath the printer. I am trying to set up network share of the printer on my XP machine. Can someone please help me out with this.

TIA

Relevancy 73.1%

I have a laptop with Windows 7 (home premium, 32 bit); I also have an XP (SP3) computer with two printers attached. An Epson 3800 and an Epson Workforce 30. Both are pretty new. I have installed the Epson 3800 driver on the laptop.

But both printers are connected to the XP computer via USB. When I try to create a new port for the Epson 3800 printer object on Windows 7, I get "Not enough server storage is available to process this command." What I do is right click on the icon in Devices and Printers, then Properties, then Ports then Add Port then I put the path to the printer on the XP computer \\ComputerName\Printer2 and that's when I get the error. Is this how it's supposed to done? Is there another way?

RON

A:Cannot use a shared printer

You shouldn't need to do it manually but sometimes it's the only way that works. Usually the problems are with permissions and sharing settings.

Try doing it this way and see if it works.
XP to 7 Printer sharing

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/46167-cannot-use-shared-printer.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi all. I have a printer hooked USB to my Vista machine. Works fine there. What I would like to do is access the printer from my W7 machine, to print from an app that is W7 only. Can I do this "through" the Vista machine if both are on the same network?

If not - the printer has an Ethernet connector. Should I hook the printer up to my router (technically my switch), and if I do that, can I get the W7 machine to see the printer without having to install the printer sw and drivers?

Thanks in advance.

A:Shared Printer?

Hi you will need to install the driver on the win 7 machine. is your printer wireless? this might help you. Sharing files and printers with different versions of Windows - Windows Help

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/360435-shared-printer.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I have a Home network that was configured as follows Computers XP-Pro PC - connected via USB to a - Shared Photo on W7 Mac PC Help Printer Shared Need Using Printer Mac Leopard - connected via USB to a -Shared All-in-One Printer XP-Pro Laptop I also have an ethernet networked Laser Printer and an ethernet networked NAS Need Help Using Mac Shared Printer on W7 PC With this setup I could print on all three printers from all three computers I stored all documents photos music etc on the NAS and it could be accessed very quickly from all three computers I replaced the XP-Pro PC with a Need Help Using Mac Shared Printer on W7 PC new Win PC Now I cannot see the Shared All-in-One that is connected to the Mac via USB I cannot get into the Mac from the Need Help Using Mac Shared Printer on W7 PC Win machine without an ID and Password which I never set and do not have I can still print on the Mac-attached printer and get into the Mac from the XP-Pro laptop Can anyone help me to be able to access the Mac and to use the Mac-attached shared printer from the Win machine

A:Need Help Using Mac Shared Printer on W7 PC

for the printer install Bonjour.
as for file sharing, i don't really know. is "network discovery" disabled?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/47191-need-help-using-mac-shared-printer-w7-pc.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Ok, what am I missing. I have a home network consisting of a router, cable modem, and two computers. I also have a printer connected to one of the machines. This machine uses Windows ME. The other uses XP. Now I want to be able to the printer from the XP machine. It seems to find it, but it doesn't indicate the ink level, nor can I print. It says, it can't start a print job.

I would appreciate if someone might be able to throw together a step-by-step to see if I missed something.

Thanks.

Couple of things...
1. I assume that you had used windows XP wizzard to install a network printer right?
2. On the windows Me you right clicked on the printer and chosen "sharing" right?
3. Looked in the FAQ of the manufacturer for tips ?
4 Using the lastest drivers for printer on XP or the "generic "microsoft drivers ?
HTH

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-printer.84257/
Relevancy 73.1%

My home network with 3 PC's and 1 wireless notebook can not share a printer anymore.When I go to the PC with the printers attached , properties and change to "share this printer" apply or OK I get the following message, "Printer settings could not be saved.Operation could not be completed" I've tried both my Epson CX 5400 and my HP 3600 , removed and installed several times and I still can not change the printers to share. I feel it must be something in the XP networking , but I am stumped. Any help out there?

You might want to have this moved to the Networking forum here at TSG you would get a much better response for your problem there, Just click on the little triangle at the top right and ask a moderator to please move the thread.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-printer.503879/
Relevancy 72.24%

OK...here's the situation. A user has an HP Deskjet 2200C Printer hooked up locally via Parallel Port. His workstation is running Windows ME. The device works fine when printing from the user's workstation. I made the printer a shared device and installed it on another workstation which is running Win2KPro. I installed it with the latest Win2K driver DLd from HPs website. Test page does not print properly. Went to printer properties and selected "additional drivers" under "Sharing" and installed the same WinME driver on the user's original box. Test page fails to print at all. Any thoughts?

A:Shared Printer Issue

Did you try to install the printer directly on the XP computer, deleting the driver from the ME computer, then adding it again by connecting the networked printer and having XP install the driver?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-printer-issue.139285/
Relevancy 72.24%

I have a laptop running Windows 7 and a Desktop running Windows XP. The desktop is connected to a HP Deskjet F4280 (or something like that). I have set up the workgroup and everything and the printer is shared and I have added the printer to my Windows 7 laptop. I have done this before and it has worked.

However...now I am getting the error: "Spooler SubSystem App has encountered a problem and needs to close" on the Desktop when i try to print anything from the laptop.

When i added the printer I was able to print a test page but now I can't print anything because I get that error on the desktop. I haven't changed anything since I added the printer to the laptop and printed the test page so why is this happening ?

Please help, I really am begging you. It's driving me crazy

A:Shared printer error

It's your Printer Spooler Service Issue, Try to restart the service & make sure its set to automatic. Check Event Viewer to find out what is causing this issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-printer-error.901929/
Relevancy 72.24%

Guys i need a help i have a hp 3515 printer shared from a XP machine but there is a windows 7 machine that i cant add that printer properly this happens only for a one certain local account 
when i click on the shared printer to add it gives a error NO PRINTER FOUND but after refresh da Devices and Printers 
that printer is there but i cant make it as default printer or i cant send prints from adobe reader 
please help me to solve this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0744368b-bef9-42b6-a61e-2ce02857a91e/cant-add-a-shared-printer-properly?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 72.24%

I'm trying to print from a Windows 7 notebook to a XP shared printer. I'm able to detect and 'add' the network printer on the notebook. When I try to print, a document shows up in the printer's queue on the notebook but never goes over to the XP PC. This might be related: I can 'detect' the XP PC on the notebook but the XP PC does not detect the notebook.

Mike

A:Printing to XP Shared Printer

Are both computers part of the same workgroup? Do you have any security software on the XP computer that may be preventing it from seeing the Windows 7 computer? Have you configured the Windows 7 computer to allow file and printer sharing?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/67304-printing-xp-shared-printer.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I'm having problems connecting a shared printer to a Vista system. I have a server with a shared printer; several laptops running win7 can access the printer. My Vista laptop can see the server, can see the printer, but when I try to add the printer, I get an error 0x00000709.

The printer drivers exist on both the server and the Vista laptop, the server and the laptop are on the same router. No errors show up in the event logs on either the Vista laptop or the server. I've tried adding it as both a networked printer and as a local TCP/IP port, all to no avail.

So - any ideas?

A:Shared Printer Madness

Check out the following post about this problem and see if anything there helps: http://www.chicagotech.net/netforums...pic.php?t=5969.

The following thread also addresses the issue, but comes at it from a completely different angle involving the use of a static IP address for the printer (among other suggestions). I'm not sure if this is the issue, but it's worth reading to see if it applies and if the suggestions are worth trying: Error when printing across through a router - Windows Vista Printers & Scanners.

There were many other articles on this error, but I reviewed most from the first 10 search pages and found none that offered any solutions but the two above.

I hope this helps. If not, post back and I'll try looking again (but after the time I've already spent, I'm not sure what else I'll be able to find though I will try).

Good luck!

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/283738-shared-printer-madness.html
Relevancy 72.24%

OK, here's the deal.

My friend had a XP desktop connected to a wireless router. He was sharing his printer that was connected to desktop. His personal laptop running xp worked fine , used the printer connected to desktop fine.

His company issued laptop running xp also connected to the internet fine, but can not find the shared printer.

He got a new desktop running vista basic. He shared the printer and his personal computer connected fine and found printer no problem.

The company laptop connected to internet fine, but can not find the shared printer. The company laptop does have a different workgroup name, since it is used at work ( a large business) but this had never been a problem before???

How can I get his company laptop to find the shared printer?

TIA

Relevancy 72.24%

I have printer on a machine called COMP1 shared as HP.

If i want to connect to that shared printer from another machine called COMP2, do i enter the network printer name as COMP1 so it can connect to the shared printer?

I'm running NT4 on a very small network.

Thanks
All help appreciated
Andy

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-connect-to-shared-printer-help.341720/
Relevancy 72.24%

We have a small computer running Vista Ultimate (not on SP2) with our printer connected to it via USB. I've shared that printer and the other two Vista Home Premium clients (on SP2) connect to it over our Dlink router via ethernet. Since the SP2 upgrade when trying to print from *anything* the connection from the Vista Home clients basically hangs. Any ideas on how to fix?

A:No Shared Printer Connection after SP2

Uninstall drivers for printer,make sure you have the newest version if not update it and reinstall driver again

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/234883-no-shared-printer-connection-after-sp2.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I m running a LAN with a printer attached to and the other computers can t print to it All systems are running XP Pro and this is a relatively new problem because the printing used to work but stopped all of a sudden I ve gone as far as doing a clean install on but it didn t solve the problem From the other systems the printer shows up as print won't Printer Shared quot Opening quot once the printer window is opened then quickly goes to quot Ready quot so that means that the printer is visible to them but when I try to do a test print a popup that says quot Test Print Failed Would you like to see the print troubleshooter Operation could not be completed quot Other info Printer is Canon S D Shared Printer won't print and it is running the most recent drivers and this problem affects ALL systems on the network Your help would be greatly appreciated and happy holidays nbsp

Relevancy 72.24%

I am trying to add a network printer to my Vista Laptop and find that it says that I do not have permision to do this. The printer I am trying to connect to is shared and I am using it wirelessly on another XP machine. All of the help I have read says to right click the printer and use it as an administrator. That would work if I could get the printer onto this machine in the first place. I am pretty sure my user profile is that of an administrator. I have connectivity to all other computers on my LAN. Any suggestions?

Relevancy 72.24%

Hi all Have setup a bunch of computers with Windows Professional with all updates from windows update When my network connection was detected I selected Work Network can't printer 7 shared to 7 win connect Win Installed a HP Officejet G Win 7 can't connect to win 7 shared printer printer using USB Windows automatically installed the correct driver for me And the printer works fine from the computer its attached to I then shared the printer by Start Devices and Printers gt Right clicked on my printer gt selected printer properties gt clicked sharing tab Clicked share this printer and render print jobs on client computers gt clicked apply gt clicked ok From another windows computer i try to connect to the shared printer i've tried using the hostname printer name and ip address printer name but nothing works I've tried Win 7 can't connect to win 7 shared printer disabling the firewalls But Win 7 can't connect to win 7 shared printer that did not fix it either I then tried changing the printer server and another computer to home network instead of work network A homegroup was created and I was issued a homegroup password when I setup the home network on the nd test computer it detected that a homegroup had already been created and I had to enter the password Now I can connect to the printer Is there a way to do with with Work Network setting and is there any good reason to do it that way

A:Win 7 can't connect to win 7 shared printer

Hi Remush, Welcome to Seven forums.

Check out this link

Quote:
Add printer

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/314709-win-7-cant-connect-win-7-shared-printer.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi

I have an Epson 1290 connected to my Windows 7 Pro SP1 x64 PC, and it is shared with my Vista Home premium SP2 PC, the printer works fine when printing from my Windows 7 PC but when I try to print from my Vista PC, nothing prints and all the jobs are shown in the "Open Printer" Dialogue box.

I have tried right clicking and selecting "Restart" on each entry but still nothing happens.

The printer is the default printer for both PC's and shows up in the Control Panel/Printers box.

Any ideas on what can be happening and how to fix it?

Cheers

Daniel

A:Shared printer not printing

Hello,

It might help to download the latest printer driver for Vista from Epson's site.

Please let us know.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/160793-shared-printer-not-printing.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I posted this in the Printing and Faxing newsgroup Shared to x86) Driver (x64 Printer but since it is a driver issue I thought it Shared Printer Driver (x64 to x86) would be alright to post here as well Hello all I would like to thank you in advance for any answers that are given in this thread I am an MCSE and would consider myself pretty savy overall but this particular problem which exists in my home network has me frustrated I have a PC running Vista Ultimate x Attached to that PC via USB is a HP Photosmart C My wife's is running XP Professional x I am trying to allow her to print to the printer attached to my Vista x PC I install the printer properly and confirm it working on my Vista x PC I then share it out under the name HPC I disable password Shared Printer Driver (x64 to x86) protected Shared Printer Driver (x64 to x86) sharing and under the security settings of the printer I give quot Anonymous Logon quot permission to access the printer I know generally I would have to specify the x version of the driver under the quot Additional Drivers quot area in the properties of the printer but in this case I do not know where to get the INF files I can download the drivers for the bit version of XP from HP's site but they aren't self extracting EXE files so I cannot get the INF file out of them to use I even tried setting it up on XP x laptop as a quot Local Printer quot with a quot Local Port quot that points the printer I then tried to use a variety of older and generic drivers At worst it refused to print entirely At best I got some sort of seemingly random output from the printer Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank You Again Richard R

A:Shared Printer Driver (x64 to x86)

you might need to check the HP website...my understanding is that networking a HP printer in an environment that includes Vista 64 bit is not supported very well.

I could be wrong though so please check.

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/117932-shared-printer-driver-x64-x86.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I upgraded my laptop and desktop to Windows 10. Everything OK after re-setting up Homegroup, including file and printer sharing. However, shared printers on desktop suddenly have become invisible to laptop, although shared files are still visible. I deleted the homegroup and set up a new one - same problem, shared printer invisible from laptop, shared files visible. Any ideas how to solve this?

A:Disappearing shared printer

System seems OK now. After resetting and setting all the "sharing" options on thge desktop to which the printers are attached, my laptop has finally rediscovered the printers - for no obvious reason.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/32077-disappearing-shared-printer.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi
I have my main pc in one room which I use on the internet with a Buffalo Wireless Modem/Router, connected to the PC using an Ethernet cable. I have an Epson D88 connected to the PC via USB. I also have a laptop which connected via the wireless network I have setup. I now want to be able to print from the laptop to the Epson via the network, when the pc is switched on. I have gone into Printers and accessed the printer and said to let it be shared and called it EPSON. When I go on the laptop I cannot see it. What do I have to do to see printer

Thanks

Stu

A:Shared Printer over Network

The firewall on the laptop may be blocking the communication to the printer. You must enable Printer and File sharing on both computers by running the "network setup wizard"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/shared-printer-over-network.92040/
Relevancy 72.24%

I have my printer connected to a XP Home box and shared. I can connect to it and print fine on another XP box using my home wireless network.

I have a 3rd computer (laptop) running Vista. I can connect and print but it takes forever. For instance, when I have excel open and simply want to drag margins in print preview, it takes 5 to 10 seconds per margin. I get an hourglass waiting for the margin change. Same thing with Paint Shop, do a resize and it takes 10 seconds. To actually queue the print, is taking a few mins.

Is there something I need to run/install on vista if my printer is attached to a XP box?

A:Shared printer on XP and Vista

Why not connect and run off a home network?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/shared-printer-on-xp-and-vista.102934/
Relevancy 72.24%

A couple of computers will not print to the shared printer unless you go to \\<computer name>\<printer name and type in the username and password for that computer. There are other computers that do not have to do this and can print as soon as the computer is booted.

I have a local account on all of the computers with the same name, but the users login under different user names and not the account name that's on each system.

As soon as you authenticate to the computer sharing the printer, then the printer will work fine until a reboot occurs.

Why needs to be done so that the computers with the shared printer installed automatically authenticate as soon as the user logs in?

A:Shared printer issue

Are the computers having this issue running XP Home by chance?? If so this happens because XP home does not store network passwords

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/shared-printer-issue-342401.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Ok this has been giving me the biggest headache for the past month and any help would be MUCH appreciated as I now have hit Printer Problems Shared a dead end I have a home network set up with one computer serving as the Server for the house it is running Vista Ultimate x All the printers are connected to that computer and are shared The server also contains all of our movies and music for the house I have several computers Shared Printer Problems connected to it ranging from Vista Home Shared Printer Problems Premium x to Vista Ultimate x Now for some reason I am only able to print to the printer when I am logged in on an account with the exact name and password as the one that I made on the server Any other account I just get an error in the printer queue So I figured I just needed to set up everyone with a user name and password on the server I did that and the same thing is happening I've checked the security tab on the printer and set Everyone to have full control over the printer Printer sharing is enabled on the server and I'm adding the printer to the other computers via local port quot SERVER Colour Laser quot So I have no idea what else it could be I'm also installing both x and x drivers on the server and the proper ones on the client computers So to recap I have Server - Windows Vista Ultimate x Printer - HP Laser CP Printer - HP Deskjet Computer - Windows Vista Ultimate x Computer - Windows Vista Ultimate x Computer - Windows Vista Home Premium x Computer - Windows Vista Home Premium x Each computer has one common user name and password quot Tyler quot I can successfully print from any computer while on that account However I am unsuccessful in printing from any other account Any help is much appreciated as I am about to lose some hair over this

A:Shared Printer Problems

Well I have my printers connected to a Dell XPS running Vista 64 Home Premium. The other house computers are XP based desktops and mobiles.

Interesting enough, the file sharing works fine and printing to my Canon printer works fine. Sharing to the HP does not work (it works locally).

This has to be some simple setup (along with something HP did to mess up the driver).

I have seen the reverse -- printer on XP, laptop running VIsta....

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/209298-shared-printer-problems.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I have a friend who is having trouble accessing a shared printer on her local network.

The printer is connected to one of the desktops and is shared on the network normally. All computers can access the printer, except one.

The computer that can't see the local printer is cabled directly into the LAN. However, at login, it connects to her company's domain. It can not see her local network or the printers on it. The only printers it can access are at her office.

Is there any way to make this computer see the printer on the local network?

thanks
mike

Relevancy 72.24%

hi

I have a xp pc with a espon c900 printer shared.
In xp the printer wil be seen as a epson c900 advanced.

The printer also communicate whit the pc exp paper jam?

In vista the xp drivers won't work.
So on other forums a found the solution.
Install the printer local and map a port to the shared printre on xp an use the vista driver

Printing is ok.

But when i whant to install my status monitor in vista he won't commnunicate with the shared printer on xp.

An in xp it works fine. There i can see if the front cover of the printer is open and so on.

The status monitor works fin when the printer is connected on the usb port of the vista machine but not when the printer is connected to the xp machine

any help is welcome.

Glenn

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/interacting-with-a-shared-printer-in-xp.672600/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hey guys,

Does anyone know if you can use the Windows 7 Windows Fax and Scan with a shared printer? I got my computer to print via the shared printer, pero when I attempt to preform a "New Scan," it says no scanner is attached to my computer. Any insight?

Thanks

A:Scan Through Shared Printer

A shared printer is a printer not a scanner so I am thinking it is not possible. Generally scanner functions are not available over the network even for large all-in-one business type machines.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/26942-scan-through-shared-printer.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I have a deck top (Dell with xp) with a printer set up to run from it. I also have a Dell laptop with Vista. I have tried to set up printer sharing for two days with no luck.I went through all the right processes(?) and when I go to print from my Vista I get a script message.

Is there a secret to doing this?

Relevancy 72.24%

Hi I have PC s that have XP that both are connected to a Printer via USB Both printers are shared Lets say PC A and PC B I was able to connect PC A to PC B by going to Run Shared connecting XP Need Printer a to help And then I was able to connect to the shared printer I cant connect PC B to PC A via Run I can t connect to the printer either I tried by going to Add printer gt Add Network printer gt Select a Shared printer by name I tried by going to Add printer gt Local printer gt Create a port gt Local Port Both PC s are in the same Workgroup called Workgroup I only found differences Enable LMHosts is checked off on PC A And PC A has static IP Need help connecting to a Shared XP Printer Address I tried connecting with a Vista amp PC I couldn t connect to the PC via Run I was able to connect to the PC by going to Add printer gt Add Network printer gt Select a Shared printer by name When I tried connecting to the Printer Vista said that the print spooler or server needed to be restarted But I was able to connect to a shared printer from the Vista PC When I tried connecting to the Printer said it couldn t find any drivers But I was able to connect to a shared Vista printer from the PC Any ideas what s wrong with PC B nbsp

A:Need help connecting to a Shared XP Printer

PC's are connected via LAN?
Both printers work properly from their attached PC?

Disable sharing, delete the printer, uninstall any software/drivers for said printer from Add and Remove programs, reboot, and reinstall, configure, and share.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-connecting-to-a-shared-xp-printer.1124694/
Relevancy 72.24%

I'm back. Trying to share a printer on a WIN 7 PRO PC. Was working after much help from this forum but has now quit.

My PC is a Vista Home Premium. If I click on network the WIN 7 PC shows but if I try to open it to see the printer it gives me a message; Windows cannot access \\XXXXX-PC.

If I try to add the printer it doesn't come up so I click option that the printer I want isn't listed and try to add by name \\XXXXX-PC\hp psc 1300 series I get message; Windows cannot connect to printer. Access is denied.

Any short term help as I'm trying to get a report out.

Long term I'm in the market for a print server. Must be able to handle 64 bit.

Thanks
Chas.

Relevancy 72.24%

I am trying to be able to print via shared printer on a home network The desktop where the printer is connected is running Vista home Premium the laptop s that I would like to be able to print from are running windows xp I have created a shared printer on the desktop running vista at first when print Printer seen, Shared but won't I went to add a printer to the laptop I was able to view the desktop computer but not the printer turning off the Norton Anti-virus firewall allowed for me to then see the printer on the network windows firewall is turned on After adding the printing and making it the default printer I am still unable to print It sees the printer even shows in the printer que when a doc is pending on the desktop but then job is not finished and never begins to print and disappears from the printer que Any thoughts Is there a setting in norton anit-virus that is blocking Or could it be windows defender The desktop is brand new nbsp

A:Shared Printer seen, but won't print

This sounds like a port specification issue, or perhaps a driver issue on the remote machine. How did you install the drivers for the remote machine, and what version of Windows is running on the remote client?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-printer-seen-but-wont-print.617800/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi,
I have a LAN on which there's a mix of PC's across different Windows OS's.
One one such PC which is using Windows 7, is an Epson LX 350 which I'm wanting to share with another PC using Windows 8.1

The issue being faced is, the LX 350 keeps disappearing from the list of printers, yet it's always available on the Windows 7 PC to which it's connected.

Would really appreciate some help on this, pls.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/shared-printer-keeps-disappearing.1154765/
Relevancy 72.24%

Having great fun here trying to get an XP Pro machine connected to our new Canon CLC950 running off a Cyclone Colorbus RIP which is running W2K.
Problem is that as soon as the printer is selected (\\clc950\clc950) and press ok, i am presented with a Connect to: dialog and asked for username and password. I have tried the admin password for the cyclone, tried setting up user accounts on the cyclone to match other users on the network, all to no avail. Browsing the network, none of the shares on the CLC950 are available, again it just asks for a username and password, with the same results as trying to install the printer.
Other XP machines on the network have no problem connecting, as dont the Win98 machines.
Any ideas, or further information required that might be useful?

A:Cant connect to W2K shared printer from XP

Sounds like your not logged onto the network? Are all other network resources available? ie: can you see other pc's on the network etc. Are you logged onto the same domain as the PC sharing the printer??

Ed

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-connect-to-w2k-shared-printer-from-xp.90950/