Windows Support Forum

I can't see the other two computers on my workgroup network.

Q: I can't see the other two computers on my workgroup network.

I can't see the other two computers on my workgroup network.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: I can't see the other two computers on my workgroup network.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: I can't see the other two computers on my workgroup network.

Well, have you turned on the sharing on ALL machines?

Do you have the same Workgroup listed on all machines?

Do you have a common account on ALL machines, this accounts needs to the same user name and same password?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-cant-see-the-other-two-computers-on-my-workgroup-network.1166858/
Relevancy 76.97%

I could 'see' my shared XP machine and my MacBook from my Win7 computer over my wireless network last night be cannot see them now. I can 'see' the Win7 from the XP machine on Workgroup computers but I cannot 'see' any computers from my Win7 network now.

I have seen another post like this but the solution there was to buy another wireless router but I just bought a new Netgear 11n router and it is working fine for internet access.

A:Workgroup Computers come and go on Network

This may be due to the changes in the network stack of windows 7 (and Vista), the changes require an update to XP to utilise the Link Layer Topology.

I believe this is included in later service packs and updates but it can be downloaded manually if needed.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

As for the MAC i'm not sure what updates are available there

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/34464-workgroup-computers-come-go-network.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I want to view all computers in my network. If I click "view workgroup computers", I can view only computers in my workgroup. There are more computers with different workgroup name in the network. I would like to view them as well. Is it possible?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-view-computers-in-different-workgroup-in-the-same-network.979397/
Relevancy 75.25%

We have 4 desktop systems namely A, B, C & D under work group by name "MSHOME". While we could access three systems namely A,B & C thro network places, last system D could not be accessed from all the three namely A, B & C. Similarly from system "D" we could not access other systems A,B & C. While viewing work group computers option, it is showing all 4 systems. Can you help me out

A:workgroup computers not showing in network places.

Assuming that you have enabled file and printer sharing on "D" the problem is likely a firewall on "D" blocking the desired access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/workgroup-computers-not-showing-in-network-places.1163873/
Relevancy 75.25%

I have 2 computers (2 desktops, both desktops have a wireless connection to the internet via a Netgear router and USB adapters). Both computers have the same workgroup name and all use Windows XP Home SP2. Both computers connect to the internet fine, however,I can open a file or folder from workgroup computer PC 2 from PC 1, but when I try to access a folder on PC1 from PC 2 I get an error message states that the file is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. The network path was not found. Also, when I try to view workgroup computers from either PC I see only the comptuter I am searching from.

Other information that might be useful: Windows Firewalls are on, AVG Internet Security is installed and running on one and McAfee Security is running on the other one. I can ping each one to the othe fine. All permissions are properly set for sharing.

A:Cannot view workgroup computers via Wireless Network?

Can you ping both ways by computer name? Have you disabled all firewalls to see if this is a firewall issue?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-view-workgroup-computers-via-wireless-network.614697/
Relevancy 73.53%

What I am about to not computers workgroup off... Wireless or connecting dropping Network: occasionally describe does not happen all the time and rarely happened until I added a rd machine to the network Three computers on network - call them A B and C A is connected to router by cable B and C by wireless cards both DLink just like the router Router is DI dynamic IP and DHCP I share files directories betweeen all three machines I have experience in doing this Sometimes when I turn all three machines on one or more Wireless Network: workgroup computers occasionally not connecting or dropping off... of the three machines is unaccessible to the others vis a vis shared files directories Wireless Network: workgroup computers occasionally not connecting or dropping off... For example from A looking at C from My Network Places C s resources are quot Wireless Network: workgroup computers occasionally not connecting or dropping off... unknown quot Sometime C can t see B s resources Once they hook up though the almost always stay hooked up Nevertheless getting into the Internet is never a problem - only the file sharing This is ALWAYS fixable by one of the four following ways a reboot the offending computer b disable and encable the offending computer s network connection c the most fun - If A and C can t see B s resources go to B go to My Network Places and let B find the resources of the other two and d start MSWord on one machine and try to open a Word file on the offending machine s shared folder Eventually I always get in and share the resources I have disabled the Windows firewall because I have ZoneAlarm installed on all three machines On all three the network loopback adapter are in trusted zone I have also defined an IP range to which is also trusted The syndrome above seemed to have been worse with dropping even after an initial successful connection before I went into the Windows Firewall advanced tab and unchecked all of the Network Connection Settings boxes although this might be my imagination since Windows Firewall was disabled in the first place I have tried to delete the shared resources and define a new workgroup add network places etc Does not completely solve the problem I have done some checking on this message board before posting Sorry for the length of this but I am quite perplexed especially since the machines CAN share resources ultimately nbsp

A:Wireless Network: workgroup computers occasionally not connecting or dropping off...

If you always have all three PCs on your network, the problem may or may not be as follows.

If you sometimes just have one PC on, sometimes 2, sometimes a different pair, and sometimes all three, your "problem" is a "feature" of the Computer Browser service.

My simplified explanation: My Network Places is designed to be a convenience for stable workgroups. When you visit it, it shows what it remembers from the last time. With a stable workgroup, this is fast and great. But beware if you add or subtract PCs or even add or remove shared folders or their contents. What is shown in My Network Places is dependent on the Computer Browser service, which polls the network and gets an updated list of resources across the network. It is sorta like a cat--it does exactly what you tell it to do. Eventually. When it feels like it. This is why you often "see" computers that are not on and folders that were deleted and fail to see recently joined computers or folders.

For a technical explanation see http://www.comptechdoc.org/os/windows/ntwsguide/ntwsnfinding.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-network-workgroup-computers-occasionally-not-connecting-or-dropping-off.452810/
Relevancy 61.92%

This is a question for information about why my networking problem finally was resolved I have four PC s on my network one Windows and three Windows XP The Windows PC always sees all three of the other computers However the Windows XP computers sometimes don t see the other XP computers when I press My Network Places Quite by accident I discovered that "View when Network Places" Why "My does Workgroup Computers" doesn't? work if I press View Workgroup Computers then ALL the other PC s in the network DO show up Furthermore if I click through quot View Workgroup Computers quot and access edit a file on one of the other computers then this computer will ALSO show up in My Network Places This behavior seems to be quite consistent and works every time I have tried it Apparently this is a workaround to the long vexing problem of why Why does "View Workgroup Computers" work when "My Network Places" doesn't? my networked PC s sometimes don t show up under My Network Places My question why does View Workgroup Computers apparently always show all the networked PC s when My Network Places does so only intermittently or sometimes not at all Thanks for Why does "View Workgroup Computers" work when "My Network Places" doesn't? any response Why does "View Workgroup Computers" work when "My Network Places" doesn't?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/why-does-view-workgroup-computers-work-when-my-network-places-doesnt-487868.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a Laptop that I just installed Windows 7 on, and an XP machine. All is working well, including the networking, but I have what might be a silly question.

From the XP machine, why does the 7 machine not show up when I "View Workgroup Computers". I can get to it when I look in "My Network Places", but when I View the Network Computers, only the XP machine shows up when I'm on the XP machine.

The XP machine shows up on the 7 machine when I "View Network Computers and Devices" FWIW.

Just curious.

A:Workgroup computers

Quote: Originally Posted by cherivo

I have a Laptop that I just installed Windows 7 on, and an XP machine. All is working well, including the networking, but I have what might be a silly question.

From the XP machine, why does the 7 machine not show up when I "View Workgroup Computers". I can get to it when I look in "My Network Places", but when I View the Network Computers, only the XP machine shows up when I'm on the XP machine.

The XP machine shows up on the 7 machine when I "View Network Computers and Devices" FWIW.

Just curious.

Hi and welcome
XP and win 7 do networing differently. XP uses IPv4, Win 7 in homegroup uses IPv6. If your two machines were both win 7 it would show up correctly. I suspect MS is expecting all of us to go buy as many win 7 licenses as they can sell. If you use work group in win 7 it might show both machines correrctly.

Ken J

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/39426-workgroup-computers.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I am thinking of getting wireless so i am concerned about others using the network. I currently have an adsl router and this is the main (usually the only) computer connected to it. When a laptop is connected to the router (network cable), this computer only shows itself in the workgroup list, but on the laptop, it shows both itself and this computer. How can i make it so that this computer shows all the computers connected to the router? Also how do I password it?

Thanks

A:workgroup computers

Let's start with some basic information.

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

What country are you located in.
Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
Make and exact model of the router (if a separate unit).
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Make and model of your computer.
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP1-SP2, Vista, etc.
The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/workgroup-computers.679712/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have three computers in the same office, 2 are Windows XP Professional and the other is Windows 7 Professional. They were all linked through a workgroup so I could share folders between them all. Recently only the Windows XP machines are able to see each other through the workgroup. The Windows 7 can't see the XP and the XP can't see the 7. I have the network discovery turned on and all the firewalls are off. I have double checked they all share the same workgroup. Any suggestions so I can see all the computers on the workgroup from every computer?

A:Can't see computers on workgroup

There is a hotfix for the problem that may help.
You cannot view other workgroup computers on the network on a Windows XP-based computer

Apparently this is a common problem but with many possible solutions. The following links show more solutions that may help.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...ee-xp-machines

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-workgroup-pcs

Of course checking that they are all using the same "Workgroup" name is required and from what I have read if you change the Workgroup name on the Windows 7 machine to something else like Workgroup1, then change it back to Workgroup it may fix this problem.
Workgroup Name - View and Change

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/301147-cant-see-computers-workgroup.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I just bought a new IBM Thinkcenter pre-loaded with XP Pro After joining my workgroup can't XP in other computers see workgroup which consists of win pc s I wanted to map a few drives to the PC that houses the main shared directories a quasi-server if you will Anyway I can t see the other members of the workgroup or map any drives to them I can ping the PC I m trying map to station but keep getting quot path not found quot errors when trying to map Also when I try to see XP can't see other computers in workgroup the other workgroup members via the link located in quot My Computer quot I get an quot workgroup cannot be accessed quot error message This should be a fairly routine operation so I can t see what the problem is I tried looking on microsoft s support pages but no help there I have no problem joining the workgroup Any suggestions Oh yeah when I run the network scan in the Help fix a problem networking section the scan passes everything but the IP Address portion It seems to think there s an IP conflict but I tried ipconfig release then renew but kept getting the same IP address So I tried configuring the IP address to an address that I know wasn tconflicting with any computers in my workgroup but that didn t solve anything This is pretty urgent I d appreciate any help Thanx in advance nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

Hello Since last hrs I was trying to fix this with no success I have a laptop with Vista business and a desktop with XP pro both are connecting to a cable modem desktop with USB and the laptop with LAN cable Alraedy instaled the LLPD for the XP and enabled the NetBIOS for both workgroup Cannot see computers computers All setting in Vista is OK and I have no firewall and also if I turn off win firewall and also antiviros in both computers I have same situation From the Laptop I only can see the desktop when I press on quot map all network quot From desktop I can not se the laptop at all As I see the subnet are same in both but the default gateway in desktop and on the laptop in one case after reset of the modem the subnet was in both and the gateway was same Also I can not ping computer name of laptop from the desktop but can ping IP of laptop More than that from the Cannot see workgroup computers laptop Cannot see workgroup computers I can not ping the laptop and the desktop computer name but I can ping the laptop and the desktop IP PLEASE HELP Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

I just bought a new IBM Thinkcenter pre-loaded with XP Pro After joining my workgroup which consists of win pc s I wanted to map a few drives to the PC that houses the main shared directories a quasi-server if you will Anyway workgroup other in computers can't XP see I can t see the other members of the workgroup or map any drives to them I can ping the PC I m trying map to station but keep getting quot path not found quot errors when trying to map Also when I try to see the XP can't see other computers in workgroup other workgroup members via the link located in quot My Computer quot I get an quot workgroup cannot be accessed quot error message This should be a fairly routine operation so I can t see what the problem is I tried looking on microsoft s support pages but no help there I have no problem joining the XP can't see other computers in workgroup workgroup Any suggestions Oh yeah when I run the network scan in the Help fix a problem networking section the scan passes everything but the IP Address portion It seems to think there s an IP conflict but I tried ipconfig release then renew but kept getting the same IP address So I tried configuring the IP address to an address that I know wasn tconflicting with any computers in my workgroup but that didn t solve anything This is pretty urgent I d appreciate any help Thanx in advance nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

Ok I've done my best workgroup W7 computers cannot see due diligence this afternoon and am crying quot UNCLE quot My W machine cannot see other workgroup computers a vista laptop and a linux box The vista laptop CAN see the other two can access files on the linux box but i get the error quot network path not found quot when trying W7 cannot see workgroup computers to explore W7 cannot see workgroup computers the W box I'm using a trendnet tew wireless router the the linux box is wired to the vista laptop and W box are wirelessly connected there is a linksys range expander used as well Web connection is fine I have not created a quot homegroup quot I have created the same quot W7 cannot see workgroup computers workgroup quot for all computers I have enabled network discovery and file sharing with no passwords I can ping the linux box and the laptop from the W machine no problem I beleieve i have enabled all appropriate services The Linksys WMP RangePlus Wireless PCI Adapter has the current driver proper NIC's are enabled i think thats the right term and i enabled netBios over tcp ip Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated

A:W7 cannot see workgroup computers

I don't believe he ever created a homegroup in the first place.

Can you reach the network shares using the UNC?

like \\Win7 computer\Share_Name

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/55631-w7-cannot-see-workgroup-computers.html
Relevancy 59.77%

On computer 3 I can't see workgroup computers!

I can ping every computer by name and ip on all computers.

But computer 3 can't see any workgroup computers except it's own, what should i do??

A:HELP! Can't see workgroup computers!

nevermind! I just waited a bit, and it finally found it..Thanks anyway!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-cant-see-workgroup-computers.600622/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello there,
I am running Windows XP Pro on 6 different machines and I am having problems with just one of them. It can't see any of the other machines within the workgroup. Whenever I try to browse I get a error that tells me the workgroup is either unavailable or that I do not have permission. I am logged in as Administrator on all the machines. I have everyone in the same workgroup, all machines are running XP Pro. and I have even run the networking wizard. This one has me stumped, any ideas?

A:Can't see other computers in a workgroup

I have found the problem, it was the personal firewall, once I disabled it I was able to see the other machines.
Thanks anyway.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-see-other-computers-in-a-workgroup.235879/
Relevancy 59.77%

i have computers running windows Xp and they are all under a work group named LAMAS workgroup computers NET all running the same IP address range and same subnet mask i Installed server on the th machine and want to join it on the workgroup computers same workgroup even if i put them on them same subnet and ip range i am not able to ping the Xp machines or the reverse the server is a HP pavllion a cn brand which has an internal ethernet card inbuilt the problem is it has no drivers so instead i installed realtek ethernet drivers on it it worked and shows that it is connected to the LAN but cannot connect to the XP machines the question is can u join a server machine to XP machines undre a work group if so what steps should u use the server has a a pci device that is not installed does this affect the ethernet card thank you nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

i have set up a basic home network many times. i recently reinstalled xp on my computer and now i have internet, but cannot see any other computers on the network, or any of them see me. The rest of the comps can share with eachothers, but not mine!!
-i can ping other computers
-i have enabled file sharing
-i have set up the network under the same workgroup

nothing shows up in my net. places when i click 'see workgroup computers'!!!!!

Relevancy 59.34%

Just recently setup home network between 2 computers. Using fast ethernet hub into pc's with win XP home. Did network setup on both. Setup for internet sharing through my pc's dialup service(main reason to network). It seems to work fine 99% of the time.

Problem: Cannot access file or printer sharing. Yes, I did set up for both to share. Get a message on my PC that access is denied and to contact server administrator? Other PC just "Does not Respond" when trying to access and must be closed by task manager. I don't suppose it is that big a deal to file or printer share, but could be useful. I have tried numerous trouble shooting fixes as suggested by XP Help but to no avail.

I am sure this is a simple explanation, but I can't see it. So Help me if you can. Thanks!

A:Cannot access workgroup computers

azcondor said:

Just recently setup home network between 2 computers. Using fast ethernet hub into pc's with win XP home. Did network setup on both. Setup for internet sharing through my pc's dialup service(main reason to network). It seems to work fine 99% of the time.

Problem: Cannot access file or printer sharing. Yes, I did set up for both to share. Get a message on my PC that access is denied and to contact server administrator? Other PC just "Does not Respond" when trying to access and must be closed by task manager. I don't suppose it is that big a deal to file or printer share, but could be useful. I have tried numerous trouble shooting fixes as suggested by XP Help but to no avail.

I am sure this is a simple explanation, but I can't see it. So Help me if you can. Thanks!Click to expand...

Please explain what you mean by "Setup for internet sharing through my pc's dialup service(main reason to network)".

Here is what Help and Support says about "file and print sharing" configuration setup on my WinXP Pro SP2 system - should be similar for XP Home:

To enable file and printer sharing using the Network Setup Wizard
You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to complete this procedure. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings might also prevent you from completing this procedure.

Run the Network Setup Wizard.
Click the connection method that applies for your computer.
Accept the default computer description and computer name.
Accept the default workgroup name. This name should match the workgroup name of the other computers that you want to share files with.
On the File and printer sharing page, do one of the following:
To enable file and printer sharing, click Turn on file and printer sharing. Windows Firewall will be configured to allow file and printer sharing on your network.
To disable file and printer sharing, click Turn off file and printer sharing. Windows Firewall will block file and printer sharing on your network. If you currently have shared files or printers, they will no longer be shared.
Complete the rest of the wizard.

Your situation sounds like the Windows firewall could be denying access if file and printer sharing is turned off. First, check that out - its the simplest explanation. Next, explore your network policy settings as they may be involved. While you are at it, suggest you look at services that are either disabled or manual, and might need to be Automatic if they are related to file and print sharing. Run services.msc from Run window and check out dependencies for related impact.

If that is not the case, try setting up as above to see if it clears up the problem.

-- Tom

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-workgroup-computers.379285/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello geeks I have a problem with my networked computers The main host is ahp computer running on windows xp SP and the host computers about are running on windows xp SP but only two of them are SP At first I was able to see my work grouped computers in the network On the host computer when I go to quot My Network Places quot and click on View workgroup computers I see all the computers listed there together with the server which is the name of the host computer but just recently it has messed up I can t seems to view my client computers and when I click on view workgroup computers on the host computer it takes more time before appearing or giving me a respond like quot access is denied just that blah blah thing quot I have tried using the small or office setup wizard and have set both as in the same workgroup names but still I can t find my network computers On the host computer when I type something like pc or pc I can view them but they don t appear in view workgroup computers list Also on the clients computer I can see other computers except the main server which is the host What might be wrong here Any suggestion would be very much appreciated please nbsp

A:Workgroup Computers Problem

Remember, you can have a maximum of 10 connections to an XP-Pro machine, and 5 to an XP-Home machine. If you have 11 clients, one of them is going to be left out in the cold at least.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/workgroup-computers-problem.731992/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi Tech Guy,
I was reading another post and I have a similar problem, but your solution did not work for me so I am asking for advice.

I have two computers that I share files and printers with. The desktop is wired to the wireless modem/router combination and the laptop uses the wireless connection. I used to be able to share the printer and files connected to the desktop with the laptop, but that is no longer working. I have tried to set up the network again, but still nothing. The only thing affected if file sharing. I can still access the internet on both computers. Here's my info...

ISP: Verizon
Modem/Router Make/Model: Westell 327W
Main Computer: Wired
Laptop: Wireless
Main Computer OS: Windows XP Pro version 5.1/service pack 2
Laptop Computer OS: Windows XP Pro version 5.1/service pack 2
Browser: Firefox (both)

Copy of files for Laptop and Desktop are attached.

Thanks for your assistance.

Relevancy 59.34%

XP Pro SP1

Click on "View Workgroup Computers" and Internet Explorer crashes. System will only show network folders if each one is individually added using "Add a Network Place". When computer is started in "Safe Mode with Networking", all the network becomes visible.

Any ideas please.

A:Can't view workgroup computers

Assumption: All computers are XPSP1 and using the same workgroup...

Are you using simple file sharing?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-view-workgroup-computers-56767.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi I few see/access computers Cannot workgroup days ago I received Cannot see/access workgroup computers an error from my computers that the print spooler was not running I found out that it was a corrupt driver and reinstalled the driver The printer works fine now The problem is that I had my network set up to share files and a printer connected to another computer Originally the network was wired now it is wireless My computer connects to the wireless router dlink DI- through an Ethernet cable the other computer uses a USB wireless adapter So after i reinstalled the printer drivers i tried to find the printer on the network but could not then i attempted to set up the network again using the windows networking wizards For a while i didn t have any luck both computers had the same workgroup name and still do but they could not see each other i finally decided to restart and upon doing that was able to see the printer and the other computer so i turned off the computer and went to sleep thinking i would get up in the morning and set up the shared printer I turned the computer on the next morning and again the workgroup showed no sign of the other computer and the add a network printer utility could not find the printer connected to the other computer I ve checked for malware and spyware and found nothing The shared internet connection work fine on both computers as well I tried to ping the other computer from mine and vice versa but it failed both ways I think i will power down all the devices and see if that helps If anyone has seen this before and may have a solution please help me out Thanks in advance Kashif nbsp

A:Cannot see/access workgroup computers

Don't know if this applies, but remember that it can take about 15 minutes or so before all computers get up-to-date network information after the network changes (computer or share added or subtracted).

If ping by IP address fails it's almost always because a firewall is blocking.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-see-access-workgroup-computers.560878/
Relevancy 59.34%

heyg uys, so i accidentaly made 2 workgroup computers on the same computer and i would like to know how i can wipe all of the workgroups from my computer. if i remember correctly i read somewhere that you have to go into run or something and type cmd, but then i dont know where to go after that, can u guys guide me through

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-delete-workgroup-computers.658747/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hey all,
I was resetting my D-Link DWL-G820 Gaming Adapter because it intermittently drops the wireless connection. To do that I have to connect it to my computer and set a static ip on my computer. That went ok, but when i went back to the original settings, when i try to access another computer on my workgroup, i am now promted for a username/password. This goes for both computers going both ways. I have a laptop with vista ultimate with one admin account and a password. I have one wired desktop with windows xp with one account and no password. I have tried all of the username/password combos i have and none work. What happened and how can i get rid of this?

Relevancy 59.34%

I have three XP computers on a network. I am able to access files which have been defined as network places but not able to browse the workgroup computers.

I checked the MS knowledge base and have enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP and have checked the Computer Browser service. Neither of these made a difference.

I recently had to reinstall Windows on one computer, but it makes no difference if that one is turned off. I also downloaded and installed "Total Access" from Earthlink, which could have made same changes as well. (I have since uninstalled it).

What else can I check? These computers have been on a network for two years and have not had a problem prior to this week.

A:workgroup computers not accessible

Checkout this TechNet article, which should help: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...winxppro/proddocs/sharing_files_overviewW.asp

Also: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tr...prodtechnol/winxppro/reskit/prde_ffs_flez.asp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/workgroup-computers-not-accessible.192667/
Relevancy 59.34%

not able to view the workgroup computers
When I click on the work group computers, the following message displays. " ____ is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this net work resources.Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The server service is not started.

Please help

A:not able to view the workgroup computers

Go to Start -> Run
Type services.msc
A list will present itself of all your currently installed services
Look for a service called Server
It's status should be started and automatic

If not right click on the service and click Properties
Set the startup type to Automatic and click the start button then click ok

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/not-able-to-view-the-workgroup-computers.779079/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi I few days ago I received an error from my computers that the print spooler was Cannot computers see/access workgroup not running I found out that it was a corrupt driver and reinstalled the driver The printer works fine now The problem is that I had my network set up to share files and a printer connected to another computer Originally Cannot see/access workgroup computers the network was Cannot see/access workgroup computers wired now it is wireless My computer connects to the wireless router dlink DI- through an Ethernet cable the other computer uses a USB wireless adapter So after i reinstalled the printer drivers i tried to find the printer on the network but could not then i attempted to set up the network again using the windows networking wizards For a while i didn t have any luck both computers had the same workgroup name and still do but they could not see each other i finally decided to restart and upon doing that was able to see the printer and the other computer so i turned off the computer and went to sleep thinking i would get up in the morning and set up the shared printer I turned the computer on the next morning and again the workgroup showed no sign of the other computer and Cannot see/access workgroup computers the add a network printer utility could not find the printer connected to the other computer I ve checked for malware and spyware and found nothing The shared internet connection work fine on both computers as well I tried to ping the other computer from mine and vice versa but it failed both ways I think i will power down all the devices and see if that helps If anyone has seen this before and may have a solution please help me out Thanks in advance Kashif nbsp

A:Cannot see/access workgroup computers

Is it possible that the wireless computer could be connecting to another nearby wireless access point? Double-check which network you are connecting to. If you can, rename the SSID on the wireless router to something unique if it happens to still be set to the manufacturer's default such as 'Linksys' or 'Netgear'. Just a thought, it just sounds like they are on separate networks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-see-access-workgroup-computers.560880/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello and thanks in advance for your help This one is really ticking me off So I setup a network for a customer She had two computers one a desktop PC running working 1 of computers, 3 not Workgroup windows xp home w sp The other was a laptop running windows xp home sp I also configured and setup a quot storage quot computer running windows xp pro sp The laptop is wireless and the other two are wired I setup the network on Sunday and all the computers were configured properly and sharing files On Monday she had high-speed satellite internet installed dial-up AOL before The technician that installed her internet would not set it up on the network so on Wednesday I went back to her residence to setup the network w the high speed internet I completed all the neccessary cabling and am able to access the internet on all three of her machines Workgroup of 3 computers, 1 not working I am also able to share files on both the laptop and the quot storage quot computer that I setup However her desktop which works on the internet is not able to access the workgroup I tried turning off her firewall Norton Personal Firewall I reinstalled her NIC repaired the connection reset TCP IP and ran the network setup wizard all with no luck The Desktop computer that cannot access the networked workgroup can ping both of the other computers and gets a reply So at this point I am trying to figure out what changed between Sunday and Wednesday The customer did uninstall her AOL software as well as reinstalled her Norton Internet Security software The high speed internet company did not install any software on her computer however they did setup an Automatic Configuration Script in her LAN Settings any ideas everything is much appreciated Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 59.34%

Please help .. I have Three computer on my workgroup.. I cant see the one I call bedpc on the other two machine..However I can see the other two machine on the bedpc..

Relevancy 59.34%

When I click on the work group computers, the following message displays. " ____ is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this net work resources.Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The server service is not started.

Please help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/not-able-to-view-the-workgroup-computers.779077/
Relevancy 59.34%

I have two desktops with XP Pro SP2 and a laptop with XP Pro SP2 put into a wireless network thru a Linksy's G-router.

However, for some reason, my laptop can see itself and computer 2, my computer 2 can see computer 1 and computer 2 and my computer 1 can see computer 1 and 2. How can I change it so that all 3 computers can see all 3?

Relevancy 59.34%

Sometimes, generally when I first set up a workgroup, when accessing the shares on another computer for the first time, it will prompt you for your username and password, a lot like this:

I was under the impression that workgrouping in XP you could only 'log onto' another computer using an account that was mirrored on both computers - but in this instance it seems possible to log onto the other computer using an account only on the remote machine!

How can I recreate this log-on request on other workgroups?

Relevancy 59.34%

I have two computers linked and networked via a switch. Both computers have Norton 360. I can view the workgroup computers when the Norton firewall is disabled. And I have the Windows firewall enabled. My question is: Is just the Windows firewall enough for the computers? One computer is connected to the internet - the other is not. If I turn on the Norton firewall, I can't view my workgroup computers.

Thanks!

A:Workgroup computers and Firewall

You should be able to setup Norton to permit the individual IPs of each computer on another, and very likely, permit incoming traffic from remote ports 137, 138 and 139 and 445 for TCP and UDP protocols from trusted computers on your network for SYSTEM. Likewise, permit the same local ports outbound to trusted computers on your network. Do the same for port 135 for SVCHOST.exe.

But I think Norton has a concept of a trusted network (or similar description) which would make it simpler than what I wrote above.

I don't use Norton, so can't help more. Do they say anything about setting up for Microsoft file and printer sharing in the Help file?

Windows firewall is not sufficient. And many firewalls don't play well when it is turned on.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/199171/workgroup-computers-and-firewall/
Relevancy 59.34%

Pop up this message The following error occurred while attempting to read the properties for the user UserName The Server service is not started But when i check is running Here is ComboFix log ComboFix - computers Win open XP can't workgroup - - Acer - NTFSx Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT Running from c documents and settings Acer My Documents Downloads ComboFix exe - REDUCED FUNCTIONALITY MODE Win XP can't open workgroup computers - Other Deletions c windows system secupdat dat Files Created from - - to - - - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers mbamswissarmy sys - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data Malwarebytes - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers mbam sys - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings Acer Application Data Sun Java Deployment SystemCache ec bf - c a-n msvcp dll - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings Acer Application Data Sun Java Deployment SystemCache ec bf - c a-n jmc dll - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings Acer Application Data Sun Java Deployment SystemCache ec bf - c a-n msvcr dll - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings Acer Application Data Sun Java Deployment SystemCache a- -n decora-sse dll - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings Acer Application Data Sun Java Deployment SystemCache a- -n decora-d d dll - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files Wireshark - - - - --sh--r- c windows system igfxdp exe - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files Common Files Java - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings Acer Local Settings Application Data Mozilla Find M Report - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files Java - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data avg - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings user Application Data AVG - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data Grisoft - - - - ----a-w- c windows system deployJava dll - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers uaevegkg sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers ndisvvan sys - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings user Application Data Sun Java Deployment SystemCache ec bf - b -n msvcp dll - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings user Application Data Sun Java Deployment SystemCache ec bf - b -n jmc dll - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings user Application Data Sun Java Deployment SystemCache ec bf - b -n msvcr dll - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings user Application Data Sun Java Deployment SystemCache a- b d -n decora-sse dll - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings user Application Data Sun Java Deployment SystemCache a- b d -n decora-d d dll - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings user Application Data Sun Java jre gtapi dll - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings user Application Data Sun Java jre lzma dll - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings user Application Data Macromedia Flash Player www macromedia com bin fpupdateax fpupdateax exe Reg Loading Points Note empty entries amp legit default entries are not shown REGEDIT HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Run quot IMJPMIG quot quot c windows IME imjp IMJPMIG EXE quot - - quot PHIME ASync quot quot c windows system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE quot - - quot PHIME A quot quot c windows system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE quot - - quot IAAnotif quot quot c program files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager Iaanotif exe quot - - quot IgfxTray quot quot c windows system igfxtray exe quot - - quot HotKeysCmds quot quot c windows system hkcmd exe quot - - quot Persistence quot quot c windows system igfxpers exe quot - - quot AzMixerSel quot quot c program files Realtek InstallShield AzMixerSel exe quot - - quot SynTPEnh quot quot c program files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe quot - - quot LManager quot quot c progra LAUNCH LManager exe quot - - quot CAP ON quot quot c windows system Spool Drivers w x CAP ONN EXE quot - - quot CAP ON quot quo... Read more

A:Win XP can't open workgroup computers

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.Please take note:If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If you are unable to create a log because your computer cannot start up successfully please provide detailed information about your installed Windows Operating System including the Version, Edition and if it is a 32bit or a 64bit system.
If you are unsure about any of these characteristics just post what you can and we will guide you.Please tell us if you have your original Windows CD/DVD available.If you are unable to perform the steps we have recommended please try one more time and if unsuccessful alert us of such and we will design an alternate means of obtaining the necessary information.If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review your topic an do their best to resolve your issues.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan again:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HEREWe also need a new log from the GMER anti-rootkit Scanner. Please note that if you are running a 64-bit version of Windows you will not be able to run GMER and you may skip this step.Please first disable any CD emulation programs using the steps found in this topic:Why we request you disable CD Emulation when receiving Malware Removal AdviceThen create another GMER log and post it as an attachment to the reply where you post your new DDS log. Instructions on how to properly create a GMER log can be found here:How to create a GMER logThanks and again sorry for the delay.Regards,Georgi

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/380000/win-xp-cant-open-workgroup-computers/
Relevancy 58.48%

I've got 2 laptops connected to a wireless network. Both can connect to the internet. I've gone through the networking wizard, disabled ALL firewalls on both computers. I can ping my own IP's on each. My Dell can ping my Toshiba, but my Toshiba can't ping the Dell (yes, I am pinging the proper IP's). Neither one can see the other one through network connections. Both computers have the TCP/IP box checked under the wireless network connection properties. When attempting to view the workgroup, I get the "home" network is not available. I've also enabled file sharing on both computers from the root drives. Anybody have any ideas?

Relevancy 58.48%

Hello, I have 2 PCs (One vista HomePrem, One 7 PRO)that I am able to connect to each other via WORKGROUP. I try to access each others computers Hard Drives and I get a prompt asking for username and password(on the Vista machine) and a password(on the 7 machine, the username is alreay there). I've tried my username and password for the computer I'm currently on, and I tried the username and passord for the PC im connecting too, niether give joy. How can I access these computers from the other? I'm sure its something simple that I am not thinking of.

Relevancy 58.48%

Hi all,

I'm finding Windows 10 enjoyable and pleasant for the most part.

Unfortunately, some things that are easy to find or to do (probably due to years of experience) in Windows 7 and 8/8.1 are not easy to find, assuming they exist at all, in Windows 10 build 10130. For instance, I've looked high and low for "Change PC Settings" and it is like the proverbial needle in the haystack.

My present problem is that I can't see other computers in my network/workgroup. They are visible to my Windows 7 and 8.1 computers. My network is set to private in Windows 10. Find devices is set to on.

Anyone got any ideas?

Thanks,

keseyken

I note that I can ping all my devices, Squeezeboxes, WDMycloud hard disk, chromecast, computers etc., and the squeezeboxes, Logitech Media Server , WDMYcloud and Chromecast are showing up as devices.

A:Can't see other computers in Workgroup on Windows 10 computer

There's a Settings icon in the start menu, just about the All Apps button and Power Buttons. This is the same as "Change PC Settings" in Windows 8.x

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/7386-cant-see-other-computers-workgroup-windows-10-computer.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi all,

I have a problem: in the classical P2P windows network the computers cannot see each other as well as no shared printers are visible. Last week everything was working just fine, but after that some changes were made (reinstalling 2 PCs, adding 2 more) it doesn't work. Weird point is, that all the computers with the previously installed printers can still use that, evethough it is not possible to add any new.

In the network, there are about 15 computers, majority of them on Win XP SP3. All the computers are within the same workgroup, all the IP and DNS settings are on automatic.
The network is built on 1 router and 4 switches.
It is used basically only for printers sharing, not for file sharing (separate Linux server is designated for that).

Anyone has any ideas what might be wrong? Thanks a lot!!!

Relevancy 58.48%

Hi,

Recently i purchased a D-Link 8 Port Switch to link my two (2) laptops on the network at home. One laptop is running Vista Home and the other is on XP Pro.

I assiged static IP address on both laptops and left Workgroup name as default (WORKGROUP). I'm able to ping it's laptop local IP address but not able to ping the other laptop IP address nor i cannot view the laptops in My Network Places & vice versa.

When i changed the IP address and used the same IP address which is already used on the other laptop, I'm prompting with IP Conflict or IP already used on the network.

Need your instruction what to do next.

black_tiger

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/181417-unable-view-workgroup-computers.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I have been trying to computers' get to work to 'view workgroup How solve this problem for a long time A little background I have been fooling around with windows computers my whole life and I know that getting windows How to get 'view workgroup computers' to work networking on xp to work is like solving world hunger its close to impossible I have made sure all of the settings are correct in windows file and printer sharing is enabled no firewalls etc the computers are configured correctly on the the network they can all ping each other and access the internet yet whenever I try to 'view network computers' I either get nothing or an error saying that I might not have access BTW I am not running any kind of AD its just a standard WORKGROUP I have been reading online lately about the Computer Browser service and its registry keys IsDomainMaster and MaintainServerList although I can't find a solid explaination about this service Does anyone here know how to configure the service or its registry keys so that I will be able to 'view network computers' and have it actually work And further more how do I designate which computer MaintainsServerList or IsDomainMaster Any additional comments on the topic of the browser service would be greatly appreciated Thank you all in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-get-view-workgroup-computers-to-work-228416.html
Relevancy 58.48%

i have 4 computrs in network, all running windows xp.My network was working fine, but when i setup broadband on one of my machine, i m not able to browse network from tht computer on which i have installed broadband and vice versa, other three computers were working fine in network.But i m able to share internet connection.I have installed two lan cards, one to connect to network and other is connected to modem.Even after disconnecting broadband problem is still there.
After tht i tried to reinstall xp on machine which i used to connect broadband,then everything is ok all my 4 machines were able to access each other.but when i connected to broadband again my macine is out of network, and other 3 machines were working fine.I dont have any firewall installed in any of my computer.

can anyone help me plz

A:not able to see workgroup computers after installing broadband

Do yourself a huge favor and pick up a broadband router.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/not-able-to-see-workgroup-computers-after-installing-broadband.505902/
Relevancy 58.48%

My first post to workgroup Unable other in to computers connect here and potentially a long Unable to connect to other computers in workgroup one but I'll try to keep it brief as I desperately need help One of the main problems is that Unable to connect to other computers in workgroup the symptoms are different every time the computer boots up thereby making it difficult to describe as what happens sometimes does not happen other times The problem is basically that my laptop the main machine from which I work cannot connect to my server and nothing I have tried has fixed the problem The network quot Managed quot by an ADSL router with NAT DCHP etc There are clients They are all set to acquire settings via DCHP Several IP addresses are reserved by MAC address so the machines retain them always and there is a small pool of spare addresses on top of that The workgroup is called Plesbit The clients are Plesbit- running XP Pro acts as a file server and runs Plesbit- running XP Pro a laptop and the workhorse Network drives K-N map to the appropriate shares on the server All work is Unable to connect to other computers in workgroup done from those drives and all data therefore stored on the server Plesbit- running Win SE you can pretty much ignore I tell you it's there only for completeness It's almost never turned on All connect via g wireless For over a year this network has happily run to my original config - boot up the laptop as soon as you log in it connects to the wireless and the network drives automatically map Open any program and your files from the server are there for you But all that stopped about weeks ago Now when I boot up the laptop a bubble appears informing me my network drives could not be reconnected If I launch Windows Explorer go to My Network Places and Microsoft Windows Network it takes quite some time about secs to open and then usually displays the workgroup quot Plesbit quot If I click on Plesbit one of many different things happen - it's different each time It pauses for about secs and then tells me I don't have authority to view the computers I press F and it does the same again repeatedly As but I press F and now it can see the other machines a As but when I click on the server and it gives me the same error as b As and when I click on the server it happily connects giving me access to all the resources it should It opens quickly but displays no member computers at all Repeatedly pressing F does nothing After minutes or so Plesbit- itself appears in the workgroup but Plesbit- the server never does Any idea why this has suddenly started happening So far I have - Uninstalled ZoneAlarm from both computers and rely now only on the router's firewall No effect - Wiped the network settings on both machines and re-created everything from scratch both manually and using the Network Setup Wizard No effect - Tried two different wireless adapters on the laptop and plugged it directly into the switch by cable Uninstalled the wireless adapters completely and updated to the latest firmware No effect - Borrowed another laptop and set up that up for access to the network The problem could not be replicated and it functioned as mine always used to with the network drives always connecting on startup as they should - Removed and re-installed Client For Microsoft Networks - Removed and re-installed File amp Printer Sharing For Microsoft Networks I have yet to find a way to remove and re-instal the TCP IP stack on XP IIRC correctly you cannot do this Even when it absolutely will not connect to the server I can still - Browse the internet amp connect to the router interface - Ping the server by IP address It will NOT ping by name - Log in to the server using Remote Desktop - See the laptop from the server when using Remote Desktop but not connect to it - See the laptop from the router interface listed as an quot attached device quot However it used to be listed as quot Plesbit- quot and now it is listed as quot Unknown quot... Read more

A:Unable to connect to other computers in workgroup

Give these two a try, you did say XP-SP2, right?

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset [log_file_name]

Note: the log_file_name needs to be specified, e.g. netsh int ip reset reset.log

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/unable-to-connect-to-other-computers-in-workgroup-48519.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I am having an issue and cannot seem to figure out what happened and what is wrong.

I have five computers all running windows xp professional. For some reason I cannot seem to view the "workgroup" computers...

I have checked to make sure they all are using the same "name". I even set-up the network again.

I restarted the routers and computers.

I looked uninstalled and reinstalled microsoft tcp/ip version 6 protocol

I have done everything I can think of.

The strange thing is that synergy still allows me to use the mouse and keyboard on all networked computers. I just can't view their contents.

Thanks in advance for the help.

A:Windows XP can't view workgroup computers

Each computer should have a unique name, not the same Computer name, or they will conflict. They should be under the same Workgroup name, not the blank Workgroup. Make sure each computer has a User Name and Password to login to the computer. Make sure Simple File Sharing is turned on and that there is something shared on each computer. Go to each of the computers Start/Run and type CMD and press enter. In the Command Prompt type ipconfg /all and press enter. Write down the IP address of each computer. Make sure all computers have the same Default Gateway (your routers IP Address). now Ping the the IP address of a remote computer (eg) type ping 192.168.1.12 and press enter. You should get an answer from each computer.
Now go to Start/Run and type the computer name of a remote computer (eg) \\computer this should open the remote computer and show you the shared files and printers on the computer.
If this fails, turn Simple File sharing off.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-cant-view-workgroup-computers-947314.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi workgroup can't windows 7 see suddenly computers all I have had a home network for ages set up with a workgroup It consists of a freecom network drive a buffalo linkstation a mac g an xp desktop a windows desktop and a windows laptop Various other machines join in occasionaly too For some reason the windows 7 suddenly can't see workgroup computers win laptop which used to be fine will no longer see or be contacted by anything other than windows machines It can be seen on the network by everyone but can t be accessed except by the win desktop This may have coincided with a decision I made to no longer keep off line files on the laptop which had been synchronised to a folder on the Freecom Netdrive I did this because it was creating lots of temporary xl files in the synced folder on the netdrive which were not self deleting when the documents were closed on the laptop Any one got any idea what is wrong I have gone through every sharing and network adapter setting I can find and made sure they are the same on both win machines The only difference I can find is NODE TYPE in ipconfig all On dektop it is Hybrid laptop it is Peer-Peer Could this be the problem and if so how do I change it in very simple idiot proof terms please Cheers

A:windows 7 suddenly can't see workgroup computers

Make sure you have the proper network option selected, as in 'Home', 'Work', or 'Public'.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/361578/windows-7-suddenly-cant-see-workgroup-computers/
Relevancy 58.48%

We have 4 computers at home.
2= old gateways
1= 8 month old e-machine
1= HP slimline
All desktops
We are on a linksys wireless router.

On my emachine computer it only
shows 2 of the computers when I
hit "View Workgroup Computers"

Where are the other 2 computers? And how can i get them to show?

Thank You,
Michael

Relevancy 58.48%

I have a PC and a Laptop connected with each other with a crossover cable i assigned them an IP address i can ping from each of them computers workgroup view Can't Solved: i can view network computers from the Laptop the PC and access its shared folders but i can t do it from the PC From the PC i doubleclick on quot My Network Places quot icon-nothing on the screen here then i click on quot View network computers quot Solved: Can't view workgroup computers and nothing happens no computers appear on the screen no error message and in the quot Address quot field above it continues to show it is written quot My Network Places quot it doesn t change the Workstation service is enabled automatic not started and i can t start it error shows up the dependency service or group failed to start this service depends on the MS OrganizationUnit Exstension service when i try to start it the error shows up the executable program that this service is configured to run in does Solved: Can't view workgroup computers not implement the service Computer Browser service is not started because it depends on Workstation service and so error shows up the same for Net Logon service and Remote Procedure Call RPC Locator service I hope that you can help me Please Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 58.48%

Hello,

I've added a new laptop to my home network (now 3 computers, all of them with win 7 ultimate 64) . I didn't use home group because i don't like it, so i configured everything manually and everything worked great, file sharing. printer sharing, everything.
And then I added a password to my user on the new laptop to protect it and the sharing between the laptop and the two other computers stopped working. when i try to access the laptop from another computer it reports i have no access, and when i try to access one of the computers from the laptop it asks for a user name and password.
i uninstalled firewall - didn't help. reinstalled. i removed the password - problem solved. added password again - problem returns.
all users on all computers are administrators.

maybe something about group policy...
anyone have an idea ?

A:Problem accessing computers in workgroup

Hello and welcome to the forum,

Does every PC on the network have the same username? I'm guessing that you dont have a password on the other PC's which have the shares on?

If so, add the same password to the other PCs and this should work again. When your computer attempts to access a share it will use the current username and password of the PC that you are logged on to as the default authentication credentials. So when you access a share it uses these credentials.

Another alternative is to make sure that the everyone group has full permissions on the shared folders on the other PCs. This needs to be done in both the Security tab and the Permissions tab within advanced sharing.
Dave

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/199933-problem-accessing-computers-workgroup.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I had a netgear router and a perfectly operating network between my 4 computers (3*XP and 1* Vista) and good but slow internet connection. To speed up the internet connection I have installed at first a 300 MbS Engenius router and later a 300 MbS Netgear router. In both cases I am not able to get my internal network back.
I tried with and without firewall.
The PC's have the same workgroup names.
Folders are shared.
In fact I changed nothing on the PC's when changing from the old to the new router. What can I do wrong?

Relevancy 58.48%

hello there all I will try and keep this as short as I can I have a HP Laptop that is Running See 7 Solved: Windows workgroup Won't computers Windows bit home preimiam I can t access any of my Nas drives or XP Solved: Windows 7 Won't See workgroup computers Laptop like Solved: Windows 7 Won't See workgroup computers I used to be able to As far as i know nothing has changed I know that this is software issue for windows as my Virtual Machine running windows xp with in windows can see everything fine The windows laptop can connect to the Nas settings page via Http internet explorer Hear is a list of things that I have tryed Using a cat cable Changing the workgroup name and back again everything is all the same Changeing the Ip address from DHCP to manual Resetting Router Enabling Netbios over TCP IP Setting my network to a work location Disabling Home Groupe Disabling Windows Firewall I only have Windows Essentials running with a scan recentley compleated IT Did find the Java Update Trogen but cleared it The laptop in questian is HP G gb Ram Intel Pentium Processor The Network Items are Wireless Atheros AR B G N Wired is a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controler Microsoft Virtual WiDi Miniport Adapter Was enabled but I disabled it VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet These are not causing a problem as they have been installed on there for VMware Virtual Ethernet Adapter for VMnet over a year now I did try and disable them to no avail If you need any more info please let me know I am downloading as i type Win Service pack so I will report back if this changes things Thank you Kind Regards Steve nbsp

Relevancy 58.48%

I have 3 PC's (2 connected wirelessly) in the standard MSHome workgroup. I can see all 3 PC's in my workgroup. I turn on my laptop, connect to the router (DLink DI-524) but cannot see the other computers in the workgroup. I checked to make sure the laptop is setup as part of MSHome workgroup, it is, but when I try to look at the other PC's I get a message stating that MSHome is not accessible, I may not have permission...etc. The last line states "the list of servers for this workgroup is not currently available". Could this be a security setting in the laptop that is configured wrong? Any advice would be greatly apppreciated. Thank you.

Relevancy 58.48%

I am running windows 7 x64 enterprise on 11 workstations in a workgroup (no domain access). These computers are connected through a larger university subnet. When I click on network to see the computers in my workgroup, my system show hundreds of other systems, not just my own workgroup. I am assuming these other computers are ones connected to the university subnet(s). I did not have this problem when I was using WinXP, which only displayed my workgroup computers in Network Neighborhood. How can I limit the display to only the computers in my workgroup? Any help will be appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win7-sees-computers-not-in-workgroup.903432/
Relevancy 58.48%

This is the second time this has happened. The first time one by one (after Windows SP3) the PC's slowly stopped being able to browse the other Workgroup Computers (but they could still talk to them with Quickbooks or ACT).

I solved it by creating a new workgroup name and moving them all onto that. But now we are having the same problem again. I would rather figure out what is up than keep creating new workgroups.

The only thing I can think of that would interfere would be either Norton (2008) or some M$ update that changed something. I have tried disabling Norton and it doesn't seem to change anything.

Network 5-10 XP Pro and Media Center PC's with SP3

Relevancy 58.48%

I have a simple home network with a win7 and a win 8.1 desktop. I have set up my workgroup and put both into that workgroup. I have set a directory with access to everyone on each computer. File sharing is on. I use windows firewall and microsoft security essentials appropriately, I think. Neither computer allows access to the shared directory on the other computer. My message is "Windows cannot access .... Contact administrator. I think I have read everything on the internet about how to solve the problem, but am at my wits end. This should be a slam dunk, 5-minute task, but I have spent months trying to get it to work.

A:workgroup with win7 and win8.1 computers

Turn off the firewall on both computers. No need to have the firewall enabled, if the computers are going to be on your own LAN and on a Router.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/55591-workgroup-win7-win8-1-computers.html
Relevancy 58.48%

One of my Win2K computers doesn't seem to be able to access the Workgroup. I can access the files and folders from my different Workgroup computer(s) but not the other way round. The usual message is something like this:
"Workgroup not accessible. You have used up all the network resources (or something similar)."
I have gone to the Microsoft site and done the bit of NetBios over DHCP and going to services and trying to restart the Computer Browser services which was already as 'started'. I have disabled the Firewall (NIS) . Nothing seems to work.
Can anybody help?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/workgroup-not-accessible-on-one-of-my-win2k-computers.42780/
Relevancy 58.48%

I noticed a foreign computer listed in my Workgroup Computers I got this message in Event Viewer quot The master browser has received a server announcement from the computer KIRO that believes that it is the master browser for the domain on transport NetBT Tcpip CAE D - D F- A- DE The master browser is stopping or an election is being forced quot br Has someone hacked into my network div class messageTextEndMarker nbsp div blockquote article div div class messageMeta ToggleTriggerAnchor div class privateControls span class item muted span class authorEnd a href members timsueoc class username author dir auto timsueoc a span a href threads foreign-computer-in-my-workgroup-computers title Permalink class datePermalink span class DateTime title Oct at AM Oct span a span div div class publicControls a href threads foreign-computer-in-my-workgroup-computers title Permalink class item muted postNumber hashPermalink OverlayTrigger data-href posts permalink a div div div id likes-post- div div li class message div class messageUserInfo itemscope itemscope itemtype http data-vocabulary org Person div class messageUserBlock div class avatarHolder span class helper span a class avatar Av m data-avatarhtml true img src styles default xenforo avatars avatar m png width height alt a div h class userText Sponsor h span class arrow span span Computers?! Workgroup Foreign in my Computer span div div div class messageInfo primaryContent div class messageContent article blockquote class messageText ugc Foreign Computer in my Workgroup Computers?! baseHtml Foreign Computer in my Workgroup Computers?! ins class adsbygoogle style display inline-block width px height px data-ad-client ca-pub- data-ad-slot ins blockquote article div div li li li id post- class message data-author StumpedTechy div class messageUserInfo itemscope itemscope itemtype http data-vocabulary org Person div class messageUserBlock div class avatarHolder span class helper span a href members stumpedtechy class avatar Av m data-avatarhtml true img src data avatars m jpg width height alt StumpedTechy a div h class userText a href members stumpedtechy class username dir auto itemprop name StumpedTechy a h div class extraUserInfo dl class pairsJustified dt Joined dt dd Jul dd dl dl class pairsJustified dt Messages dt dd a href search member user id class concealed rel nofollow a dd dl div span class arrow span span span div div div class messageInfo primaryContent div class messageContent article blockquote class messageText SelectQuoteContainer ugc baseHtml If your not familiar with the computer name it sounds like someones been on your network You may want to run something like look at lan and see who all is currently on it div class messageTextEndMarker nbsp div blockquote article div div class messageMeta ToggleTriggerAnchor div class privateControls span class item muted span class authorEnd a href members stumpedtechy class username author dir auto StumpedTechy a span a href threads foreign-computer-in-my-workgroup-computers post- title Permalink class datePermalink span class DateTime title Oct at AM Oct span a span div div class publicControls a href threads foreign-computer-in-my-workgroup-computers post- title Permalink class item muted postNumber hashPermalink OverlayTrigger data-href posts permalink a div div div id likes-post- div div li li id post- class message data-author timsueoc div class messageUserInfo itemscope itemscope itemtype http data-vocabulary org Person div class messageUserBlock div class avatarHolder span class helper span a href members timsueoc class avatar Av m data-avatarhtml true img src data image png base iVBORw KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAAGAAAABgCAYAAADimHc AAABHklEQVR u dvWrCUBiA c fSkVEWvACOik KI OvWEvontxdKg KNI KIhKqnFqt ZwCUgR Hm hC cyJNz hQGb Of NUqegUAAAgAAAEAIAAABACAAAAQAAACAEAAAAgAAAEAIAAABACAAAAQAAC vPK Fu WlGtPP OvPlKqaL dn bvMlGk v tdcoj cQOcATpPo gzT JQ rKNftcr WpmH rx QUyTHN ex zrm A iYfeaefe o SQAay xjPvxxBAgBAAAAIAAABACAAAAQAgAAAEAAAAgBA... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/foreign-computer-in-my-workgroup-computers.409464/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi I have a nas device IB-NAS computers Solved: not are workgroup showing -B This device works fine and I can access it from all my networked computers apart from one The network is primarily run through a Netgear router amp all pcs are given a static ip address The computer which cannot access it is running xp home sp with all updates Solved: workgroup computers are not showing to op sys amp drivers It connects to the Solved: workgroup computers are not showing nw wirelessly It is also running KIS I have tried deleting amp reinstalling the network on this pc I have also tried turning off KIS I can ping the nas amp other nw pcs I can connect to the nas using an internet explorer interface either by name or ip address I cannot map it as a network drive as it is not in my network places nor will it map if I manually type in the correct parameters I want to use this drive just for random backup and be able to see access it through my network places as I have numerous folders in the root amp I do not want to mapwork each one individually Lastly I know that network pcs can sometimes take a while to be shown amp the nas device can sometimes be seen by this pc but very rarely Also any other computers connected to the network are not visible to this computer but if the nas is shown then they are also visible amp vise-versa Hope someone can help with this prob Rob nbsp

A:Solved: workgroup computers are not showing

I may have solved this.
DNS Client was not starting in services.
i'll post back later as to whether changing this setting has worked or not.

Rob

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-workgroup-computers-are-not-showing.890378/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello!

I've been trying to set up a password for a computer in a workgroup. I have 3 computers in LAN, everyone has Win XP Professional installed.
So I have tried this method:
http://techgurulive.com/2008/08/21/how-to-password-protect-a-shared-folder-in-windows-xp/

Problem is that when I type my password it doesn't accept it even if it is correct. And if it's incorrect I don't get any error message. So everytime I type something there (correct or incorrect password) I just get the login window again without any warning and stuff.

I would really appreciate your help!

Greetz,
draak

Relevancy 58.48%

I have a network with two XP Pro amchines and one Vista Bussiness machine. I have them on the same workgroup but the the Vista machine only sees it self and the router. Any ideas on how to get it to see the rest of the network?

A:Viewing Workgroup Computers in Vista

Are you sure you have them all on the same workgroup name? Vista default is WORKGROUP, XP default is MSHOME. Make sure all are the same, it should work.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/viewing-workgroup-computers-in-vista-188565.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi guys!
I have a comp and a laptop connected in LAN trough a router
I'm having problem with my "workgroup computers" on my computer.
It seems it doesn't show computer names so I cant access shared files.
They are pinging each other in cmd they are in the same workgroup,I have netbios enabled, and weird enough my brother played counter strike with his friend on LAN
My node type is unknown on computer and I dont have enableproxy in registry
Thank you for every help available

Relevancy 58.05%

I have the exact same problem between 2 identical PCs working on XP Professional SP2. When I click on "view workgroup computers", I can only see my own.

Help!

A:View Workgroup Computers only shows mine

Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread when you have a new issue. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread.

I've created a new thread for your issue here.

Thanks for your cooperation.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/view-workgroup-computers-only-shows-mine.565761/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello,

I'm connected to a workgroup via a wireless network. Some of the computers in the workgroup are windows xp and some have windows 7. We need certain harddrives on the computers to be accessible to all workgroup users. My problem is that in the windows 7 computers, I can't manage to make hard drives accessible, although I went to advanced sharing and to permissions, and allowed 'everyone' to read edit etc, in short, gave all possible permissions. I still cannot access those harddrives from other computers in the group, even though the computer itself (to which the drives belong) is part of the network, and I can access its public folders.

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Dina

A:sharing a hard drive with other computers in a workgroup

Hello Lipkind and welcome to the forum.

In order to share an entire harddrive in Windows 7 you need to set the permission settings as you have already done but also the Security settings need to be set to allow Everyone to access it. This is an extra layer of security that has been added for drive sharing with Windows 7.

To share the entire drive:
Open My Computer -> right click Local Disk D or which ever drive letter your drive is using -> select Properties -> select Security tab -> click Edit button -> click Add button -> enter the name of the User you want to set Security permissions (it is the same user name you've set the sharing permissions for, ex. Everyone will set the read permissions to every user. Put check marks in the boxes for full access and control -> click OK hit apply-> select with check marks the desired permissions -> click OK -> wait while permissions are set -> and your Done.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/113010-sharing-hard-drive-other-computers-workgroup.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Any ideas guys? Our workgroup network keeps going funny. Any pre-existing shortcuts work fine, and any of the 'My Network Places' links are fine, but to find a place that isn't showing in 'My Network Places' I have to view workgroup computers, and that tells me " MSHOME is not accessable"

Any idea how I can fix it? Restarting the router doesn't seem to help.

A:Cant 'view Workgroup computers' but shortcuts work.

I'm not sure but try naming all of the workgroups on the computers to the same thing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-view-workgroup-computers-but-shortcuts-work.704867/
Relevancy 58.05%

hey everyone ive got what i think is a pretty interesting question here i have a linksys wireless router which other/unknown computers workgroup Sending messages to does not have the generic linksys ssid but it is unsecured i am planning to secure it but i am not ready yet as i am still tweaking some other things with the router and my computers anyways i have a neighbor who keeps logging onto my router even after i check the dhcp log and delete them they just reconnect a little while later after ive kicked them off my question is this i would like to send them a friendly message but i cannot figure out how to i am familiar with the basics of netsend but as far as i know to use netsend the computer has to be in the same workgroup is this correct if so is there a way that i can find their workgroup or even send them a message without sending them a message lastly if they have netsend disabled on their computer is there a way that i can send a message by another means i know that this is a pretty interesting question but i would just like to be able to send them a message nothing harsh before securing my network so i would greatly appreciate any help thanks in advance Sending messages to other/unknown workgroup computers note i posted this message in two forums on techspot because i wasnt sure of the right one to Sending messages to other/unknown workgroup computers use nbsp

A:Sending messages to other/unknown workgroup computers

to use netsend the computer has to be in the same workgroup.Click to expand...

No, but both computers must have the messenger service enabled.

You're solution is to secure your network - either by encryption or by allowing only your own mac addresses - possibly both.

Being a neighbor, you could also drop a note through their door

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sending-messages-to-other-unknown-workgroup-computers.50149/
Relevancy 58.05%

new laptop running windows 7 home premium. brought to work, plugged into work network cable, networked with all other computers ie servers, xp, printer, worked all day.
came back the next day plugged in network cable, called it "unidentified network" could not connect to the internet or any other computers.
system settings are workgroup- i have changed the name and rechanged the name.
switched off ipv6
network sharing is on
I have tried every possible suggestion but cannot get it to work.
When i connect through wireless to work, i am also limited to only being able to see only vista and no xp machines, printers or servers.
does anyone know what is going on? 

A:cannot connect to workgroup computers using windows 7 home

Hi,
You may kindly refer to the following steps:
1. Update your network adapter’s driver to latest version.
2. Change your network adapter’s MAC address to have a try.
3. Check whether the wired cable is too long.
4. Uninstall the adapter, then try to reinstall it.
Also, as chicagotech says, please post the result of ipconfig /all.Please remember to click ?Mark as Answer? on the post that helps you, and to click ?Unmark as Answer? if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ec8dd7cf-4b4a-43f6-b86a-0f402a0d511f/cannot-connect-to-workgroup-computers-using-windows-7-home?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi am having problem sharing files and veiwing my workgroup computers. pls help

A:sharing files and viewing workgroup computers

More info please.  The more info we have the easier it is to help.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532658/sharing-files-and-viewing-workgroup-computers/
Relevancy 58.05%

I run a small office network consisting of computers Three computers run Windows one Vista and two XP Professional We also have one Seagate file server that we just installed back in December All computers each Windows accessible. Workgroup other see can longer XP computers not is no reside on a local area network and up until last week all computers could see each other on the network and share network resources All computers need access to one XP machine which serves as a print server for a large plotter with an old parallel port Last week the Windows XP computers seem to have dropped out of the workgroup and are no longer visible to the Windows and Vista PC s over the LAN The Windows and Vista PC s can all see each other in the workgroup but they cannot see the Windows XP Workgroup is not accessible. Windows XP computers can no longer see each other computers and vice versa When an XP PC tries to view all workgroup computers we get the message quot Worgroup is not accessible You may not have permission etc quot The Windows and Vista PC s all see each other on the LAN One Windows PC and the Vista PC can still plot through the XP machine even though it is not visible on the network Lastly ALL PC s can still see and access the Seagate file server on the network This is really odd although it is Windows Everything worked fine until a week ago and had been working just fine for more than months I am baffled I tried several ideas I found in threads on this site but none worked Thanks for any help nbsp

A:Workgroup is not accessible. Windows XP computers can no longer see each other

A top suspect is a non-Windows firewall or security suite on the XP machines. Also ...

Make sure the following services are Started (Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services).

Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper
Workstation

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/workgroup-is-not-accessible-windows-xp-computers-can-no-longer-see-each-other.985569/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have recently formatted my computer. I have installed Windows XP on the machine and now I cannot access my workgroup.

I am connected to my network via ethernet, I have made sure I am on the right workgroup and I am.. but I still get the message..

"Workgroup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The list of servers for this workgroup is currently not available."

Thanks

Josh

Relevancy 57.19%

I have set up a network consisting of an XP desktop , Windows Home Server Desktop & XP Netbook & router.

The network works as it should when the netbook is connected to the router by ethernet. However, when I connect the netbook wirelessly it (the netbook) cannot view the other computers & an access error is returned when trying to access networked folders on the desktop & server. (the desktop can see the laptop though).

When I reconnect wired all is OK again.

Disabling the security software made no difference nor did resetting winsock.

So the problem lies with connecting wirelessly

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I go from here?

Thanks

Relevancy 57.19%

I have 3 laptops on the same router under the same workgroup name. Over the wifi they can not view or even successfully ping each other. However, if I plug anyone of the 3 laptops directly into the router via ethernet I can view/ping the wireless computers and the wireless computers can view/ping the wired computer, over the network.

I'm pretty sure I have all the firewall restrictions set correctly and have the right services running. What am I doing wrong here? I've viewed multiple forums and have tried multiple things but still no dice.

Any ideas would be more than welcome. I've been going through forums on this topic, for hours now; trying different things but nothing has worked... obviously.

I will post the ipconfig for 2 of the laptops... the third is being used for work right now.

A:Solved: Cannot view or access computers wirelessly under the same workgroup.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cannot-view-or-access-computers-wirelessly-under-the-same-workgroup.1019169/
Relevancy 57.19%

Ok, all of my machines show all the other computers on my network.
Except from one machine.

For example...

Machine A sees = b-c-d-e
Machine B sees = a-c-d-e
Machine C sees = a-b-d-e
Machine D sees = a-b-c-e
Machine E sees = none...but can access the internet just fine.

I checked the workgroup name. I not only disabled, but uninstalled all firewalls, etc.

Still no change.

Any ideas?

I can explore the offending machine from all the other machines also.

Thanks
Thanos255

A:Workgroup showing all computers except from 1 specific machine.......confusion....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/workgroup-showing-all-computers-except-from-1-specific-machine-confusion.530975/
Relevancy 57.19%

I have a network of XP and Win computers and from time to time the quot veiw network computers quot stops working and hangs the computer for several minutes This is true on XP machines and also true on Win machines in quot Network neighbourhood quot Running computername in Start Run can still access some computers and shortcuts to some computers previously placed on the desktop still work Ping still works and each machine can still access the internet Finally after View hangs solved - workgroup computers computer years of debugging I have worked out the answer The problem is when a computer invariably gets so bogged down with viruses it needs a complete reinstall Part of the reinstall process involves creating a firewall And firewalls usually have a quot trusted View workgroup computers hangs computer - solved zone quot of IP addresses eg to The problem is if you forget to add the quot trusted zone quot especially as this setting may be hidden in a sub menu eg on Zonealarm Clicking quot view network computers quot sends out a message to all machines on the network and they all then are supposed to respond But if View workgroup computers hangs computer - solved there is just one machine on the network with a firewall that is blocking the request the requesting machine will hang waiting for the other machine to respond So one machine on the network that is incorrectly set up can disable the View workgroup computers hangs computer - solved entire network It is even more confusing if that incorrectly setup machine is only on sometimes - the quot view network computers quot hang now becomes an intermittent problem I m posting this here to hopefully save others wasting time going and changing their perfectly good hardware setup and perfectly fine TCP IP settings etc I hope this helps someone nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/view-workgroup-computers-hangs-computer-solved.736158/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hey everyone I m suffering from a rather strange problem that I ve only just today come across I m trying to enable file sharing across my Desktop PC and my new Notebook Unable Workgroup responding. Description/ set Viewing Computers Computer not to As always I went through the usual routes going to Network Connections Advanced Network identification and so forth But my problem is this While all is fine on my new notebook the area where I d input my Desktop computer Description is greyed out The name is Unable to set Computer Description/ Viewing Workgroup Computers not responding. fine as is the Work Group In addition if I try to access My Network Places - gt Workgroup Computers it fails to respond My notebook also can t see my Desktop PC on Unable to set Computer Description/ Viewing Workgroup Computers not responding. there even though the network is enable and healthy as far as I m aware I m fairly sure this isn t a router problem but something OS specific And yes unfortunately I m Unable to set Computer Description/ Viewing Workgroup Computers not responding. on XP Home Not the best system for File Sharing activities Any help would be fantastic Many thanks nbsp

A:Unable to set Computer Description/ Viewing Workgroup Computers not responding.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-set-computer-description-viewing-workgroup-computers-not-responding.740737/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello I ve set up home networking on three computers all connected to a nat router at home All is well except for an oddity in quot computers" workgroup networking Win xp home "View question Solved: My network places quot My workgroup is named Franklin and in this workgroup there are computers named Big Lan Lan For some reason Big Solved: Win xp home networking question "View workgroup computers" Lan and Lan computers can not see Lan Solved: Win xp home networking question "View workgroup computers" s icon in the Franklin workgroup Even stranger in Lan s quot My network Places quot I can see all of Lan s shared files but quot Big quot pc cannot In other words when I go to Lan and look in the franklin workgroup it does not list itself like the other two computers do Yet also I can manually share lan s files with Big by typing in the path LAN then it works Lan has always been able to pull lan s files ok its just that the icon doesnt show for lan in quot View workgroup computers quot on all three computers this is the main issue Can you help me figure out a way for Lan to show in the quot view workgroup computers quot area on all three pc s Thanks Tate nbsp

A:Solved: Win xp home networking question "View workgroup computers"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-win-xp-home-networking-question-view-workgroup-computers.361837/
Relevancy 51.6%

I tried to find an existing thread about this but couldn t I have two computers computers" workgroup restart fails Solved: link "View after set up in a home network One is a desktop running XP Pro x Edition The other is a laptop running XP Home Both have SP The desktop has Eset Smart Security which has antivirus firewall spam blocker The laptop has Eset Antivirus which has no firewall or spam blocker and uses Windows Firewall They connect through a Dlink DI Rev C Router The router firewall has default settings Both computers have Netbios over TCP IP enabled and each has the IP address of the other one set up as a WINS Server Each computer has files that it shares with the other The desktop shares it s printer with the laptop The files that show up in quot My Network Places quot share correctly and the printer works The problem is after I restart the laptop with the desktop running the quot View workgroup computers quot link in the desktop gives Solved: "View workgroup computers" link fails after restart this Error Message quot Mshome is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions The list of Solved: "View workgroup computers" link fails after restart servers for this workgroup is not currently available quot I can t access the workgroup computers The shares in quot My Network Places quot and the printer still work Everything works right in the laptop Then if I restart the desktop with the laptop running everything works correctly again I have tried this with a stand alone Antivirus and with the ESS firewall disabled in the desktop with the same results I don t know what else to say about it Weird problem huh I always get the weird ones I ve been beating my head against the wall for a while over this one Does anybody have an idea what s wrong here nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

As the topic says, I'm having an issue where a computer on a network cannot see the other computer on the network.  It is able to connect to the internet, and I double-checked based on earlier threads and the network discovery IS ON.  This computer
is able to create a Homegroup and the other computer on the network is able to see the shared folders when it joins the homegroup, but I cannot create a homegroup on the
other computer and have this computer see it to join it.  The other computer sees this computer in Windows Explorer under Network, but as far as the problem computer is concerned, it is the only computer on the network.
Despite this, when I open up the Network Map, it shows both computers, the router, and the modem.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6789f7fd-6dc6-4b5f-b997-32480bd340c0/windows-7-cannot-see-other-win7-computers-on-network-other-win7-computers-on-network-can-see-this?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 51.6%

Windows Home Network Issue Go Figure "View PC Workgroup when a Computers" powered Solved: on is certain works only I have a home network with two XP desktops an XP laptop and a Windows desktop The Windows PC is almost never turned on It s basically a backup computer in the house For whatever reason the only time any of the three XP computers can successfully browse the network via the view workgroup computers link is when the Windows PC is powered up and the computer browser service is running on it Possibly helpful info The netbios protocol isn t enabled on any of the PC s in the home network and they are all setup for netbios over tcp ip Everything fails if I stop the computer browser service on the windows pc or shut the pc down I ve tried changing the workgroup on all the PC s and get the same results I tried changing the master browser via the registry edit but it did me no good The windows pc isn t set up as the master browser I don t know much in this area so maybe I did something wrong I tried disabling the computer browser service on all PCs as someone suggested and it didn t help Thanks -Kyle nbsp

A:Solved: "View Workgroup Computers" only works when a certain PC is powered on

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-view-workgroup-computers-only-works-when-a-certain-pc-is-powered-on.673752/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi,
I have a problem in that I can no longer see the link to "View Workgroup Computers" There is normally a link in the task pane in Windows XP (which is the OS I am on W/SP3), but I havenít been able to see it for quite a while. Anyone know how I can get it back or how I can otherwise show workgroup computers? I did have a problem with my network (not being able to see other computers), but I can't even begin to sort that out if I can't even ask it to show workgroup computers! Can anyone help?
Thanks
Ash

A:Solved: Where has the "View Workgroup Computers" link gone!?

First, let's reset the stack.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2/SP3.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold for the following commands.

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults, type: netsh int ip reset reset.log

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults, type: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reboot the machine.

Next, let's check this.

Check your Services are Started:

COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations only)
WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations only)
Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic (or perhaps manual).

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-where-has-the-view-workgroup-computers-link-gone.853296/
Relevancy 51.17%

Ya ya I know its real easy.... till you try....

I have a desktop on Vista and a laptop on Win 7.
The desktop is connected directly to the router and the laptop
connects remotely.

Anyhow, before I get to the nitty gritty, a question or two.

Do I do the setup from one machine or the other, or on both ?

Now, what is the easiest way to do this ?

p.s. looking into this a bit I see Vista has "workgroup'" and Win 7 has "workgroup'" and "homegroup" ?

Thanks

A:How to set up a workgroup and network

Welcome
Not that easy. If it were there would not be long articles about the subject. Hope this helps
How do I make Windows 7 HomeGroup content accessible to Vista and XP? | TechRepublic

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/291398-how-set-up-workgroup-network.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I am trying to setup my home network. I have a Dell laptop e1705 and a custom rig. Both machines are running XP PRO w/ SP3. I ran the Network setup Wiz. They are both on the same workgroup. Now here is my problem. Now every time I go to My Network Places then click on View Workgroup Commuters that window freezes. I have let it run for over an hour to see if it would find something, but it just froze. So I attempted to search (via windows search) for all computers on the network. As soon as I click search it to Freezes and does not respond.

The laptop is wireless and the desktop is wired. Any ideas or do you need any more information?

Thanks in advance,
Eric

Relevancy 50.31%

Hi I What to fail my workgroup causes network have four pc s connected through a GX-D ASUS switch which is now a few years old Two of the pc s have just been upgraded to windows the other two are on windows Also into the switch goes my BT broadband router and my network hp printer n Suddenly I am losing the complete network during normal use Instead of having green lights on my switch one of them goes amber and another has no light on at all If I unplug the switch from the power and then power back up all the What causes my network workgroup to fail lights go orange What causes my network workgroup to fail and then turn to green and the network comes back on This has never happened before until today and it has happened twice really frustrating I am not very techy and think the switch has became faulty Should I go buy a new switch or might it be something else Need it explaining in layman terms please as I don t have a clue Thanks for your help nbsp

A:What causes my network workgroup to fail

Hi Shelley123. If your router has at least 4 Ethernet ports at the rear, there is no need for a switch as you have 4 pc's. If your "router" only has 1 Ethernet port, what you have is a modem. Normally, your Internet signal comes in and goes to a modem first, and if you have more than 1 pc or devices that need wireless connectivity,you would connect a wireless router to that single modem port and connect your 4 pc's to the 4 ports found on most routers.If you had at least 5 devices that need to be connected by Ethernet cable, you would use a switch which you would connect to one of your router's ports, then connect the fourth pc and any other Ethernet device to one of the 4 or more ports on the switch. Are you sure you are using a switch and not a hub? Could you tell us what other hardware you have in your network besides your 4 pc's which you connect by Ethernet cable?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-causes-my-network-workgroup-to-fail.197556/
Relevancy 50.31%

Please help! I have a router and two (laptop and desktop) XP professional pcs connected as a workgroup. When I browse the network from the desktop it sees the laptop but cannot connect to it or ping it. The laptop can ping the desktop but doesn't see it when I browse from network places. Both computers are getting DHCP from the router and they can both browse the internet. I want to beable to share files and printing to each. Can anyone tell me what I'm missing. Oh, I have also created shares on each computer and have the same user account on each machine.

Thanks,
Zahr

A:[SOLVED] XP Pro Workgroup Network

Well you should be able to ping them if one can ping the other and get a response. Lets see the results of ipconfig /all on each machine first

start > run > cmd > ipconfig /all

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-xp-pro-workgroup-network.157245/
Relevancy 50.31%

I have just set my laptop and my pc on a home workgroup. I have shared everything needed from the pc, I was able to map a network drive for my files and a seperate drive for my wifes on the pc. I can connect to the X: with my files from the laptop but am unabble to connect to the Z: with my wifes files on it. I get the error message,
Z:\ is not accessible, access is denied, any help would be great!

A:Workgroup network drives

Are you referring to her My Documents?
Did you give yourself file and share permissions to her files on that comptuer?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/workgroup-network-drives.569497/
Relevancy 50.31%

I am trying to setup my computer so they can share files in a workgroup. I have set a workgroup on my 2 computer however when I look at the workgroup in My Network it is only showing the respective computer and not the other computer. I have set up files to share and a printer and nothing shows. I am accessing the internet via a Actiontec DSL Modem that also has a Linksys Broadband Wireless Router (WRT54G) attached. One of my computer is directly connected to the router via a Ethernet connection and the other computer connects wirelessly. Both computers get onto the internet fine but they just don't see other regarding the files/printer I want to share between them. I hope someone can help me figure out this problem.

Thank you,

Mike

Relevancy 50.31%

I have five computers in the network, all identifiable, and another one, called Anonymous. I have two workgroups, and Anonymous is in both of them.

I connect all computers either wirelessly or wired through a router/modem wireless.

I have zonealarm and firewall, wpa password set on router/modem.

Then after 30 or so minutes, anonymous disappears!?!?

What is the possibility of this being a ghost? I never had this pop up until recently. Did virus check and nothing came up. I'm concerned someone may have hacked into my account.

I recently installed Windows XP Black on one of my PCs (pirated), and sometimes I wonder if people who create these pirates can have access to your computers?

A:Workgroup network - Anonymous

Remove that copy/delete and Use genuine Windows XP OS from your CD. Turn off the XP Black from your network what happens if you do that?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/workgroup-network-anonymous.130299/
Relevancy 50.31%

I'm running Windows 7 Pro. I noticed tonight when I clicked on Network in Windows Explorer that in addition to my home PCs there is a PC with someone's name on it. There's also a "Router" listed. My suspicion is that my wireless ISP has screwed up in some way. I ran SoftPerfect's Network Scanner and don't see any strange IP addresses, so this stranger's PC is not on my subnet. What tools are available to scan my network and give me more info about the stranger's PC and the "Router"? (I do not think the Router is my actual router since that's not its name.)

Relevancy 50.31%

Trying to set up a home network with 2 computers, both XP Pro and using a router for internet and network access. I've gone through the procedures several times. On computer 1 ("network" printer attached), when I try to "view network computers," I get a message that says that I am not authorized to access my workgroup. On computer 2, I can see both computers through the network when I "view network computers," but, when I try to see what is on computer 1, I get a message stating that computer 1 is inaccessible. In both cases the message also indicates that I may not have the required permission. I am logged on as an administrator on both PCs, so I think that shouldn't be an issue, but who knows!!!

A:Can't Access My Own Workgroup on a New Network

Closing duplicate to another thread already in progress: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/673583-can-t-access-my-own.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-my-own-workgroup-on-a-new-network.673661/
Relevancy 50.31%

I am trying to connect my computer to MSHOME workgroup I have reviewed several other posts dealing with similar issues Checked quot Services quot and have included ipconfig nbtstat and net view info below Pinging this machine returns packets and pinging from this machine returns packets I am getting a system error when i run net view and can t find any more info Network adapter is functional workgroup to connect Can't network and still can access internet Just can t access other computers on my home network quot MSHOME is not accessable quot Microsoft Windows XP Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings Jeff gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name DW Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel Can't connect to network workgroup R PRO MTW Can't connect to network workgroup Network Connec tion Physical Address - F- F- - - C Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Monday October PM Lease Expires Tuesday October P M C Documents and Settings Jeff gt nbtstat -n Local Area Connection Node IpAddress Scope Id NetBIOS Local Name Table Name Type Status --------------------------------------------- DW lt gt UNIQUE Registered MSHOME lt gt GROUP Registered DW lt gt UNIQUE Registered MSHOME lt E gt GROUP Registered C Documents and Settings Jeff gt net view System error has occurred A device attached to the system is not functioning Click to expand nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

i have a little problem with uninstall workgroup that i install.
when i go to: My Network Places -> View workgroup computers i see a network with a name "home". when i double click it i see one computer. and i don't need this "home" network at all. how i can uninstall it?

thanks.

A:network/workgroup uninstall help

Every computer has a workgroup or domain assigned to it. You can't get rid of it. It doesn't really matter if its the only machine you have anyways. It probably just shows your machine. If it is showing other machines and you don't want it to, then you can change your workgroup to something else so nothing shows up. The workgroup name is just something for peer to peer networks. If you only have one PC, then you don't need to worry about it. It is probably just showing your computer.

That's just like saying that you don't need a computer name. You have to have one, even if it is no use to you. Just the way it is.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-workgroup-uninstall-help.440686/
Relevancy 49.88%

I have various issues communicating among three computers win XP win in a workgroup on my peer to peer home network The network has functioned well in the past but apparently I have changed something One symptom -- right now I am looking at the workgroup with Windows Explorer on the XP computer With Windows Explorer I select the workgroup icon and click its in the left pane All three computers display below the workgroup But only two of the three computers display in the right pane Explorer on the XP LEFT PANE Network Places Entire Network MIcroSoft Windows Network Servicco Homebuilt PC Homebuilt OS XP-Pro Ethernet to router Dell Studio Studio OS WIN -Pro laptop WIFI to route Northgate tower OS WIN Ethernet to router RIGHT PANE Homebuilt PC Homebuilt Dell Studio Studio Windows Explorer on the WIN It sees only itself Studio in the left and right panes of Explorer Windows Explorer computers my workgroup. display all within peer Can't peer to on the WIN It sees only itself tower in the left and right panes of Explorer What could be my problem that the three computers cannot see each other

A:Can't display all computers within my peer to peer workgroup.

After about a half hour after posting the previous post I checked the screens of the XP and the Win7. Both Windows Explorers have changed. On the Win7, the XP icon now displays in both windows and its folders and files are accessible.

On the XP, the Win7 displays as before and its folders and files are accessible. But the Win98 no longer displays in the left pane as before.

On the Win98, it still displays only itself.

Note: Earlier, on XP the Win98 icon displayed in the left pane only. But by high-lignting the Win98 icon in the left pane I could display in the right pane the Win98's folders and files (those that were shared) -- as they should.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/343917-cant-display-all-computers-within-my-peer-peer-workgroup.html