Hello there,

My motherboard and CPU were bad, so I changed them out for new ones:

Old board/CPU

ASUS M5A78L M USB 3
FX6300

New board/CPU

Intel Core i5 4460]
Gigabyte Z97 D3H

I was expecting for Windows to crash, and it did, but then it loaded the new drivers, and it shut off, then loaded and was working. I had to phone up to get activated - that was all good. But ever since this, there is no option to put my PC to sleep.

The only thing I can think of, is that the power switch LED is not plugged in properly/or to the right port or the power switch. Other than this, how can I fix my problem? Cheers, qwertyK

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/390808-no-sleep-option-windows-7-after-motherboard-change.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: No sleep option in Windows 7 after motherboard change

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 73.53%

Lately I noticed something strange with my Laptop Whenever I change change sleep Can't idle when option something in the power plan it all works fine except for when I change when my Laptop should sleep after being idle nothing happens For instance if quot Put computer to sleep quot is on quot never quot and I change it to quot minutes quot it won t change the setting even though it ll say quot minutes quot but it will still be quot never quot Here is my PC info if that helps OS Version Microsoft Windows Vista amp Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor AMD Athlon Dual-Core QL- x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce M G Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Wistron C Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated and Enabled Also I attached a screenshot of what I m talking about in the power plan I appreciate any help someone Can't change sleep option when idle can offer me and I Can't change sleep option when idle thank you in advance nbsp

Relevancy 60.63%

I have a new Lenovo machine with Windows 7 preloaded

I normally leave my machine in the 'sleep' option overnight. I then use the mouse to resume Windows 7. On a number of occassions I see a power saving box appear with a countdown and then the Lenovo logo appears on the screen with a Windows 7 recovery panel. I then have to re-boot the machine. I have used the help box that windows provides to 'find the cause' after the reboot, but it does not point the way to resolve the problem. I would guess that this fault appears nearly 30% of the time that I try and resume following the 'sleep' option.

A:windows crash on restart from the 'sleep' option.

http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...tructions.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/254049-windows-crash-restart-sleep-option.html
Relevancy 60.63%

When you go to power options in the control panel for Windows 8, under power buttons and lid >> lid close action >> on battery/plugged in, you should be able to choose
a. Do nothing
b. Sleep
c. Hibernate
d. Shut down
However, sleep is not an option for me ever since I updated to Windows 8.1. Screenshot:

The update also screwed up a lot of stuff. Very annoying. The computer is an Asus Zenbook. Any suggestions?
Thanks a bunch!

A:“Sleep” not an option for “Lid close action” on Windows 8.

Hi bhalps, Welcome to 8 forums.

This tutorial might be able to help you, Power Options Menu - Add or Remove Sleep or Hibernate in Windows 8

Make sure the sleep states are not turned off in the BIOS power management.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/35539-sleep-not-option-lid-close-action-windows-8-a.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello I recently was messing with my old laptop and kinda installed windows There was a lot of problem during installing so before that I tried installing XP and there was a problem of some sort of read error so in the boot option there is still the option for XP Setup for booting So I ignored it and went to install windows I ignored it because there was error when I tried boot problem. option Windows change 7-ish Cannot to install XP I don't really post on forums but I've really ran out of option Windows 7-ish problem. Cannot change boot option So here's my stupid mistake After installing windows I was wanting to make windows boot itself without the XP setup coming so I went to change in the windows Computer gt Properties gt Advance System settings gt Advanced And then boot setting or something I set the default I CLEARLY SET THE DEFAULT TO WINDOWS and then put the timer to So now I restart computer omg it boots into the setup filled with errors instead of w default I've set Now I can't even go into windows and change it what am I to do Please help me out

A:Windows 7-ish problem. Cannot change boot option

Best to clean the HD drive.

To clean install:
1) Clean the HD Drive, using Step one in this tutorial:
SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation
than
2a) clean install with the OEM manufacturer's Recovery Disk.
2b) Clean Install Windows 7
2c) UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/346963-windows-7-ish-problem-cannot-change-boot-option.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I recently upgraded a laptop to Windows Pro from Windows Standard nbsp The sole reason I upgraded to Pro was to be able to join to my companies domain but when I go to switch from the default workgroup to the domain in System Properties the entire domain box is completely grayed out and inaccessible nbsp I am running the command from a local administrator account on the computer with the appropriate permissions not from a Live ID nbsp I can access everything on the network just fine aside from the network drives obviously and I can ping to the DNS server and get to the Internet nbsp There are no connectivity problems The upgrade was successful the first attempt and as far as I know there were no files corrupted in the process My guess is that there is some configuration file that the upgrade failed to change somewhere but I'm really not sure what exactly the issue is Thanks

A:Windows 8 Pro - Domain change option greyed out in System Properties

... but when I go to switch from the default workgroup to the domain in System Properties, the entire domain box is completely grayed out and inaccessible.  I am running the command
from a local administrator account on the computer with the <strike>appropriate permissions</strike>, not from a Live ID. 

Try using a domain administrator account (regarding appropriate permissions for network administration).
The local administrator account only has administrative access to local resources on the PC - i.e. does not have administrative privileges on the network
Regarding access and use of a domain administrator
account:
I.e. you're a user at your company - so you should contact your companys system administrator regarding company policy.

I.e. if this is BYOD (your own device) it will probably not be joined to the domain.
If its a company workstation (laptop) - he will rejoin it to the domain.

As a rule of thumb - and may be confusing you here, do not expect yourself - even though a superuser with local administrative privileges - to finalize redeployment of windows, apps and data in a company domain. I.e. in a company you usually don't control
access to payrolls etc. (you should not have that kind of administrative configuration access - even if a company owner you could mess things up giving "unauthorized" access. Even a domain administrative account is not used as a "user" account - only configuration).
I.e. with user accounts i.e. local administrator you don't control access to private network ressources in the company. I.e. you cannot join network ressources - joining to a domain means connecting with the private web service in the company basically controlling
identification and internal access to company wide resources. So that service hides some complexity as well.  

Delegate the job to your companys system administrator and let him complete the work if this is a company workstation
... that you may have reinstalled yourself using the local administrator account without using the companys deployment services - i.e. automated deployment (i.e. PXE network boot to the companys Windows Deployment Services or Symantec
Altiris etc.). If no automated deployment is available at your company then the component (responsibility) of deployment services are manually executed by  the system administrator (automated deployment availability at your company will typically depend
upon complexity i.e. the number of computers owned by your company - but even for a small number of workstations the benefit of Windows Deployment Services is great ...)

Basically, the finalization of software configuration for a company managed computer must in part be managed by the system administrator, i.e. rejoining the computer to a domain - which effectively means the administration of the computer from this point
on is delegated to the domain controller and thus automated management of i.e. authentication and authorizations.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8f7ca1af-190b-4377-971c-b86d2862136c/windows-8-pro-domain-change-option-greyed-out-in-system-properties?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 56.76%

After reading several threads, I am still not clear: Altho I uncheck the display preview panel button in layout, the panel re-appears every time I restart Mail. This is driving me crazy. Any way around this?

A:Windows Mail - Permanently change preview panel option

Hello Decorlady, and welcome to Vista Forums.

You might consider giving Windows Live Mail a try instead. It is better in my opinion.

It supports Pop3, IMAP, HTTP website (EX: Hotmail) email, and is a lot more stable. Plus, WLM will minimize to a tray bar icon, checks spelling as you type messages, and has a separate Inbox for each email account. WLM will automatically import Windows Mail messages, accounts, and settings into it. Contacts will have to be manually imported from within WLM. (Tools, Contacts, File, Import, Address book for current Windows User.) To see the Menu bar, press ALT+M and check "Show all menus".

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/224744-windows-mail-permanently-change-preview-panel-option.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello, I purchased a laptop form HP which supposedly had the option the upgrade to windows 10, it has a windows 10 sticekd on the bottom, not the usual one with a licence key, but it has come supplied with Windows 7 - What is the best way to ensure a smooth upgrade please? Is there an on screen method or do i need to create a bootable usb media? My only concern was being prompted for a licence key i dont have if it thinks i should have purchased a copy

A:Windows 10 Laptop Supplied with Windows 7 - Option to change...

Hi: If your notebook came with W7 Pro from HP, then there should have been a W10 Pro installation disk in the package. You would use that disk to install W10. If you did not receive a W10 Pro installation disk, I recommend you contact HP technical support in the country you live in and ask for a W10 Pro installation disk. http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.html I have an HP 350 G1 that came with W8.1 Pro downgraded to W7 Pro and there was a W8.1 Pro installation disk in the box.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Windows-10-Laptop-Supplied-with-Windows-7-Option-to-change/td-p/5832663
Relevancy 56.33%

My monitor uses the resolution 1024 x 768, but this morning it's on 640 x 480?
I try to change the resolution back, but the Resolution option is greyed out?
A warning underneath says: If your resolution is below 1024 x 768, some items may not fit on the screen.

Any ideas how to fix yet another Windows problem?

A:Windows 7\Control Panel\Display greyed out my resolution change option

Check your display adapters under Device Manager (Right click My computer>Properties>Device Manager). If there is an exclamation mark next to your video adapter, then there is an issue. Try resintalling the driver (online or CD that it came with, doesnt matter to start). After the install, reboot the system and then verify that the resolution can be changed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/221786-windows-7-control-panel-display-greyed-out-my-resolution-change-option.html
Relevancy 55.47%

For stability and security reasons I can't use the 7 S1)? sleep settings(S3 How to do I change Windows state standby sleep S S or hybrid states for this PC I need to try if S would solve the problems but I don't know how to change switch to S sleep state PC does support S from the reports below and in bios there is nothing in regards to S S closest things would be C C etc which are enabled Fresh install of Windows Ultimate x and the latest drivers Intel K Asus P Z -V Pro GB ram SSD AMD x sound card quot powercfg energy quot energy-report html S Sleep Supported true S Sleep Supported false S Sleep Supported true S Sleep Supported true quot powercfg a quot C Users user gt powercfg a The following How do I change Windows 7 sleep state settings(S3 to S1)? sleep states are available on this system Standby S S Hiber nate Hybrid Sleep The following sleep states are not available on this system Standby S The system firmware does not support this standby state

A:How do I change Windows 7 sleep state settings(S3 to S1)?

Hello and welcome to the forum

I've seen this issue before and I don't know if there is a way to change the default Windows sleep state from S3 to S1.
I've never had a MB with the newer UEFI bios.
Also, never had one that enabled S1 and S3 without the option to choose one or the other.

I also would like to know if anyone has found an solution for this... registry tweek, etc.
I use Sleep and Hibernate all the time, and it's great when it works correctly.

I'm glad I don't have a MB/BIOS like this, and it just adds a requirement for me when choosing a new MB / Build.
From what I know Windows doesn't support changing the default state, and this BIOS doesn't allow selecting one for this MB...

@coffeetime
Is there a newer BIOS for your MB?
Maybe ask Asus about this, and refer them to this thread if that would help ?

You should be able to disable Hybrid Sleep in Windows Power Options / Advanced settings.
You should also be able to disable Hibernate (S4) in Windows with an elevated CMD powercfg.exe -h off
Hibernate - Enable or Disable

This won't solve your S1/S3 issue, but something you can try.
You could also try gathering a Sleep trace and see if one of the experts in the "Crashes and Debugging" sub-forum can help.
Gathering a Startup, Shutdown, Sleep, Hibernate, or Reboot Trace

Personally I don't like S1 sleep, and prefer using S4 hibernate (or turn the PC off) if S3 sleep doesn't work.
With S1 the fans run, more noise, more power used...

hope this helps,
David

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/235299-how-do-i-change-windows-7-sleep-state-settings-s3-s1.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Further to my previous thread about problems getting PC out of sleep I have noticed a change in how the PC behaves when in sleep mode.
Before the re-install I am sure the PC became totally dormant, but now the system fans continue running (haven't checked CPU fan) and the power LED keeps flashing.
Or am I delusional?

A:Change in Sleep Behaviour after re-install of Windows

It sounds like your sleep state is now S1, and previously it was S3.
Check your BIOS settings.

I use S3, and don't like S1 for the reasons you see...fans run, light blinking...
Here is a link about sleep states.
Sleep States - See Available Sleep States

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/231840-change-sleep-behaviour-after-re-install-windows.html
Relevancy 54.18%

How can i get my Windows xp to boot with my new motherboard? I know that the drivers that are currently installed on the hard drive are different but my old mobo died and i don't want to risk loosing my programs installed. So my main question is how can i get it to boot without formatting/reinstalling windows xp? 

A:Windows XP issues after Motherboard change

What is the error message? Is a BSOD with code 0x7B?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566671/windows-xp-issues-after-motherboard-change/
Relevancy 54.18%

right changed my motherboard and thats all, plugged everything in where its meant to go... turned on pc
something about boot device changed came up, i pressed f1 to continue, came up with password screen and my background.

nothing else popped up after logging in other than something asking my to activate windows :S

its already bloody active!

what does this mean, have i lost all my old documents etc.from my HDD? or what? help

if i re-build my old set-up will my HDD still be okay?

thanks alot

A:windows activation after motherboard change

If you change a hardware device you will have to re-activate your Windows installation. Call Microsoft & explain the situation. They'll see if it's legit & give you a new one.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-activation-after-motherboard-change.38953/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi, I came into possession of a quite powerful, but last-gen, PC that came installed with Windows XP Pro OEM. Now at the moment I can't afford to upgrade all the internal parts so I chucked in a new graphics card to help it along and I upgraded it to Windows 8 Pro. My question is, in the future when I can afford proper upgrades will I be able to change the motherboard? I know that with XP OEM that was not allowed, but now it's been upgraded to Windows 8 is it allowed or is it still forbidden?

A:Upgraded to Windows 8, can I change the motherboard?

Hello Spinner, and welcome to Eight Forums.

A Windows 8 Pro upgrade copy uses a retail key, so yes you will be able to install it on any computer/motherboard you like so long as it's uninstalled from any others first.

Clean Install with Windows 8 Upgrade

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/20297-upgraded-windows-8-can-i-change-motherboard.html
Relevancy 54.18%

If I reinstall windows after I replace a motherboard will It let me register windows again since it is already registered?

Relevancy 54.18%

I have just put in a new motherboard and processor and now my Windows 10 states that it is no longer active. I have tried the trouble shooter and it errors out.

A:Had to change out Motherboard and not windows will not activate

I had a similar problem and what I had to do was contact. The PC manufacturer and get the installation disk for Windows sent to me, it was about $29. HP has one for every serial number that they have sold. I imagine the other manufacturers do as well.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/434809-had-change-out-motherboard-not-windows-will-not-activate.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Hello,
I just installed a new motherboard in my HP desktop. It was the same model mobo and it went smoothly. Upon startup I get a windows logo and then it says loading windows files. Then it says startup failed and when I choose system repair it won't repair. I've tried things I've found on other forums but none of them worked. I'm desperate for your help!
I welcome any and all ideas and advice. Thank you!

A:System repair loop after motherboard change. Windows 7

Why...did you replace the motherboard with an identical replacement?  What was going wrong...and what made you think that a MB replacement would solve it?

Is this topic a continuation of This One ?

Looks to me that you did not purchase/replace with an identical motherboard, going by your previous topic.  "Similar" is not "identical" in my world .

Please pursue the earlier topic you initiated, thereby avoiding unnecessary confusion an possbily conflicting comments from BC members.

This topic is now closed.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617116/system-repair-loop-after-motherboard-change-windows-7/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi,

My Dell XPS laptop doesn't go to sleep mode after the set time, any clues, suggestions why?

Thanks.

A:Sleep option?

Where would the Reg key for sleep be located in Regedi, for lap to sleep at 30 mins on charge and 15 mins on battery?

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sleep-option.1126065/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi there, I've bought a desktop hp pavilion 550-117a but can't seem to find the sleep option anywhere either in the options list or on the computer itself. Can you please let me know if there is even an option with this desktop or I'm just not seeing it? Thanks

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/No-sleep-option-on-desktop/td-p/5742269
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi all,

2 days ago my Windows 7 sleep option suddenly disabled, tried to update to the newest video card driver but still couldn't fix it. Does anyone here know how to fix this? Please see picture below.

Thanks

A:Sleep option disabled?

This is for Vista but it applies to Win 7 also: Re-Enable Sleep Mode in Windows Vista

See if that helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/220110-sleep-option-disabled.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I have had to do a complete reset of my computer recently and ever since I did that I have not had the option of putting my computer to sleep even after checking all my drivers to see if they are up to date. I am also having a problem where when I turn on my computer It will stay a black screen even though all signs point to it working just nothing shows on the screen. After a complete shutdown by holding the power button and turning it back on it works but doesn't let me get into BIOS. This problem has been a big annoyance and it would be much appreciated if you could help me.

A:Computer Sleep option gone

Try pressing the Delete key on startup to get into bios.

What I have done in the past to get boot options to appear is to restart & press the power button to shut my computer off & then push it again to restart it.

Doing this 3 or 4 times causes the boot menu to appear because it did not shut down properly.

I have noticed no ill effects from doing this.

Since I installed Macrium Reflect, I added boot options at startup:

This comes in handy.

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition - Information and download

That's all I know to suggest right now.
Maybe someone else here will have better ideas.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/35880-computer-sleep-option-gone.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I am running build 7000 on my Compaq N610c and I don't have the option for sleep mode. Any help would be appreciated as hibernate takes forever to come back.

A:Sleep mode option not available.

Hi Black,

Not sure what you mean - is it not showing here (I disabled hibernation )

Or here

SIW2

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/4554-sleep-mode-option-not-available.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Title says it all. I have all the power down options available EXCEPT Sleep. It is greyed out(even in safe mode). I've searched the forums and found multiple threads. I have tried the registry tweaks, self-executable files to reactivate sleep, etc. all to no avail. The only other unfortunate option left is to reinstall 7
Other suggestions are much appreciated!

FYI: AND no, it's not related to graphics card. This option WAS available until, I believe, after an automatic win7 update. I DID try to revert; no luck.

P.S. I apologize if not in right forum.

A:Sleep Option greyed out.

Press the Start button, then press the right arrow key twice, then press the letter S - what happens?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/150789-sleep-option-greyed-out.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi,

Mine wasn't available. Today, I installed this to make my computer more stylish (Like Windows 8):

UniversalThemePatcher.zip

I got it from here.

It didn't do anything to my machine. I'm not sure if it would work on yours

Then I Disabled Hibernation and Sleep Mode was Enabled. I have no idea what could have caused this.
Any ideas?

I am running A Fujitsu Siemens Computers Amilo M3438G.

Thanks
Thomas

A:Sleep mode option not available

In looking at the link you provided, it says:

Quote:
The themes work on X86 or X64, SP0, SP1, SP2.
The System files only work on Windows Vista SP1 x86.
Notice: This is only can be full use on Windows Vista SP1 x86.

Even though people have said that Windows 7 is just about like Vista, and while it's true there are many similarities, I have to ask why a developer would specifically exclude Windows 7 unless the software really wasn't designed to work on 7.

If it was me, I'd take the developer's advice:

Quote:
PS: Please create a Restore point using "System Restore" before applying anything mentioned in this tutorial so that you can restore your system back to a working state if anything goes wrong.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/228542-sleep-mode-option-not-available.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I have a Windows Vista laptop (specs are in my profile) and there are a few MMORPGs I play where I can vend my items. Back on my old computer, I turn off my monitor but let the computer run while I vend in-game (while I'm sleeping). Now, I'm wondering, is it safe to leave my laptop on throughout the whole night to vend? Is that what the sleep option is for? If not, what can I do to let my laptop stay on throughout the whole night (safely) and let my game run while I sleep?

A:Laptop's Sleep Option

It's fine to leave it on overnight, its the same thing as a regular desktop. The only thing you have to do is make sure it's plugged in. To leave it on, you can either leave it open, or configure it to stay on even if it's closed, which is probably done by going to Start-> Control Panel -> Power options. There should be settings in there for what you need.

Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptops-sleep-option.662159/
Relevancy 52.46%

Dell laptop running Windows 7. Always had option to put computer in sleep mode when closing cover. That option is gone. Also, mic stopped working. And when turning on computer, display has changed - everything is large, and need to go back in and reset resolution. Tried going back two weeks in a system restore. No luck.

A:sleep option gone, mic not working, other

How long has the problem been occurring?

Could be malware/virus related:Download and install Malwarebytes, update it, do not start the free trial, and then run a full scan. Also run a full scan with your antivirus software installed on your system. If you do not have antivirus software installed, see the Good and Free system security combination. for better security steps and scanning tools. Make sure to update the security software before running the full scan.

Let us know the results of the security scans.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/236276-sleep-option-gone-mic-not-working-other.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I have no Hybrid sleep option. It's supposed to be under Sleep, but it's not there. Any thoughts?

A:I have no Hybrid sleep option

Hello Jonathan,

Do you have hibernate disabled? If not, then your computer (motherboard and/or BIOS) may not support this feature.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/40300-i-have-no-hybrid-sleep-option.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Firstly, apologies if I am in the wrong section - I was confused as to where best to aske this.

(I have Windows 7 Home Premium on a desktop pc)

I have been into ...
Power Options
Change Plan Settings
Change Advanced Power Settings
and when I expand Sleep there is no Hybrid Sleep option.

I have been investigating which is best from Sleep, Hibernate etc and think Hybrid Sleep might be the best option but am frustrated that it is not available.

Any help most gratefully received

A:Help please: I have no hybrid sleep option

You fail to mention which Plan you are on though.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/333249-help-please-i-have-no-hybrid-sleep-option.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Both the sleep option and the hibernate option are no longer available on my HP G70 laptop. When I press the Win key both sleep and hibernate are visible, but they are grayed out and not available for use. Power settings show turn off screen after 5 minutes and turn off computer after 30 minutes. Neither action will occur.

A:Sleep Option no longer available on laptop

Update the latest Display driver from the HP SUpport Downloads webpage for your model.

Enable hardware auto-updating via Windows Update (Steps 3 and 6)
then Check for Updates and install all Important and Optional, with reboots, until no more are offered.

Check in Control Panel Power Options to set Display for 20, Sleep 30 and then in Advanced under Sleep set Hibernate to 60.

If these are grayed out in Power Options this means the Display adapter is not sufficient.

Other solutinos for Sleep Mode Problems - Vista Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/364064-sleep-option-no-longer-available-laptop.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I recently purchased this computer used. It has windows 7 ultimate (32-bit) and the computer is a custom build I think.
Anyway, the option to "sleep" is there, but non-selectable. I think I've encountered this before and I installed a driver or something and it was fine. Does anyone know what I have to do here? Also, the desktop themes are limited; I can't customize the aero window/taskbar theme..

Relevancy 51.6%

I had to reinstall Windows and now I'm reconfiguring the power options. When I go to "control what closing the lid does" in my control panel, the option to Sleep is not there. It only allows me to select "Hibernate" or "Do Nothing".

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you!

A:Option to sleep is not there under Power Options

This usually occurs when your display adapter driver is not compatible.
Try checking to determine what states are available to you:

- Click Start Orb > type cmd in the search box > right-click cmd in results above > click Run as administrator
- At the prompt type powercfg -a > press enter

Read the results to determine what sleep states are available
Quoted from
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-desktop/windows-7-professional-sleep-mode-not-available/4dba343d-63e8-40d9-83b3-ba1afe411d60

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/474996/option-to-sleep-is-not-there-under-power-options/
Relevancy 51.6%

i have 2 23 inch acer screen. one hdmi and one vga..
i have the "turn off display" set for 15 mins but it seems the hdmi (which is the main display) only turns off as the second screen stays on.
i know i can just turn off the second display with WinKey and P but sometimes i have to rush out and have work up on both screens
am i missing a setting somewhere?

A:Sleep Option For Dual Screens

Odd. My inputs are reversed, (primary on DVI) but both screens go to sleep.

Do you leave any apps on screen and not minimized?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/155593-sleep-option-dual-screens.html
Relevancy 51.6%

So I can't change the sleep option for AC The Power Configuration will not let me change the value The field which is set to 'Never' is greyed out There is a warning that basically tells me to check the Group Policy settings Note I can change all other power configuration options apart from this one Note This happens on all Windows machines in my network private home Note I run SBS and powercfg.cpl in option disabled Sleep have a domain I am pretty sure that there is no Group Policy that can be set to prevent a user Sleep option disabled in powercfg.cpl from changing the sleep value I have looked and none of the policies are even close All polices that have anything to do with power configuration are undefined Note I have checked the group policy settings on the computers and no I can't find a policy that would prevent anyone from changing the sleep timer Note Yes of course I have admin rights on the computer Please please help This is driving me absolutely bananaz

A:Sleep option disabled in powercfg.cpl

Have you tried creating your own power plan?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/118621-sleep-option-disabled-powercfg-cpl.html
Relevancy 51.6%

My sleep option in windows 7 ultimate is greyed out!!
Also, I have my graphics driver installed etc so please dont comment on that.

I get the follow error when I try to type "powercfg -Hibernate ON" in CMD and I don't know how to resolve it! Please help me , I need back sleep and hibernate!! (The sleep option is still greyed out after installing windows 7fresh install)

The error message : -

"The following items are preventing hibernation on this system.
There are one or more legacy driver installed:
GenPort2 "
Please find me a quick solution.

A:Sleep option is greyed out! Cannot hibernate too!

Quote: Originally Posted by PowerInside

My sleep option in windows 7 ultimate is greyed out!!
Also, I have my graphics driver installed etc so please dont comment on that.

I get the follow error when I try to type "powercfg -Hibernate ON" in CMD and I don't know how to resolve it! Please help me , I need back sleep and hibernate!! (The sleep option is still greyed out after installing windows 7fresh install)

The error message : -

"The following items are preventing hibernation on this system.
There are one or more legacy driver installed:
GenPort2 "
Please find me a quick solution.

Quick solution is to un-install the printer software that is using "genport2" as indicated int the error message. What printer drivers have been installed?????

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/90679-sleep-option-greyed-out-cannot-hibernate-too.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi, I have been searching everywhere for the solution to this problem and couldn't find it. I have a Samsung QX410 Laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit. Under Power Options > Change Plan Settings > Change advanced power settings > Sleep > Allow Hybrid Sleep, The dropdown menu to select Yes or No for on battery and plugged in are greyed out. They are stuck on "On" and cannot be disabled, even when I click "Change settings that are currently unavailable". When I navigate to Hybrid Sleep, it says Your power plan information isn't available. Any suggestions on how to disable hybrid sleep is greatly appreciated. I really want my computer to sleep faster. Right now it's taking 30 seconds or more to fall asleep but only 3-4 seconds to wake.

A:Hybrid Sleep Option Grayed Out

Hi and Welcome to SevenForums,

Lets check your hibernation state. Please follow these steps:

1. Click Start Orb, in the search box type cmd
2. Right-click on cmd, and choose the option "Run as administrator"
3. In the cmd window that opens, type powercfg -a

Post the resultant output here.

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/155892-hybrid-sleep-option-grayed-out.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi all,

2 days ago my Windows 7 sleep option suddenly disabled, tried to update to the newest video card driver but still couldn't fix it. Does anyone here know how to fix this? Please see picture below.

Thanks

A:[SOLVED] Sleep option disabled?

Check your power options Control Panel>Power Options locate your power setting then select advanced power options and see if the sleep option is enabled. Plus you have Windows 7 RC1 upgrade to the final version of Windows RTM.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-sleep-option-disabled-636315.html
Relevancy 51.6%

After disable hibernation and then enable it again, I miss the hibernation opstion in the "shut down"-menu. How do I get it back?

Is it possible to have both "Sleep" and "hibernation" as a selectable point in the shutdown-menu? (I do not use hybrid-sleep)

A:hibernate and sleep option at same time?

Here's an interesting thing about this situation. When Hybrid Sleep is enabled, Hibernate is not disabled. Hibernate is just removed from the power options menu.

It is not possible to have both options in the menu. However, you can have Hibernate be the default button, and have sleep in the menu.

First, disable Hybrid Sleep in the Advanced Power Options window.

Then make Hibernate be the default power button action in the taskbar properties. Mine is set to Sleep, but makes yours hibernate.

You can then enable Hybrid Sleep if you wish. Hibernate will remain the default button, and you will be found Sleep in the menu.

Just out of curiosity, why don't you use Hybrid Sleep?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/72942-hibernate-sleep-option-same-time.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I would rather the default shutdown option be "Shut Down", instead of "Sleep". As of yet I havent found anything on it. Is it one of those obvious things I keep missing? Nothing found in control panel -> power options that I can find.

For now, I've set up a kluge like so:
Created a shortcut to "C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 10" (hard shutdown with a ten second delay), and dragged it to my start menu.

It seems to work fine, but wouldnt it be nice to just adjust the existing shutdown option?

Any insight appreciated!

[edit]
Using Vista Home Premium

A:Vista Default Shutdown Option - "sleep"?

Go to Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Power Options > Change Plan Settings for the power plan you have selected > Change advanced power settings > Power buttons and lid > Start Menu power button.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/100136/vista-default-shutdown-option-sleep/
Relevancy 51.17%

I recently replaced the hard drive in my laptop ASUS K60IJ and contacted ASUS for recovery disks. After installing the recovery disk along with drivers disk, I do not have the option to sleep or hibernate. Also, I cannot have a screensaver because it says my videocard is not compatible, my sound does not work because it says no device is installed, and the webcam will not work because it says it is being used by another program. I have never had any of these issues before replacing the hard drive and performing the recovery.

Contacted Tech support and was told that this problem is not possible.

I appreciate any advice/suggestions.

A:No hiberate/sleep option after system restore

Hello bailey8783,

It sounds like all of your device drivers are not installed.
Set your PC up so it will get drivers via Windows Update using this tutorial:
Device Installation Settings

Then check for updates and see if Windows finds driver updates.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/303959-no-hiberate-sleep-option-after-system-restore.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G2030 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3967 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1791 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 448568 MB, Free - 395704 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0XFWHV
Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2014, Updated and Enabled

Is it possible to setup a power option for hibernation rather than sleep?
All the choices available are delays before monitor cut-off and before system sleep as a custom option. I would like to use an option such as 10 minutes for monitor cut-off and 30 minutes to hibernate.
Is is possible to instruct the Power Option of Windows 7 to hibernate rather than sleep

A:Solved: Power Option to Hibernate not Sleep

Yes, you can set it to hibernate. Go to Control Panel > Power Options and for the power plan you're using click on "Change plan settings".

Then click on "Change advanced power settings", expand Sleep and set the Hibernation time. You can also configure other settings there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-power-option-to-hibernate-not-sleep.1133601/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a Foxconn LS-36 dell motherboard. My dads old computer. It currently has two SLI 512mb 8600 gts cards in it. I want to upgrade the video cards to something much faster. What is the best cards I can buy for this mother board.
Kind Regards,
Chad Jordan

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/best-videocard-option-motherboard-4600786/
Relevancy 50.74%

I recently upgraded my Inspiron 3847 to Windows 10, and the "sleep" option under the power icon no longer appears (Only shutdown and restart). I have updated the BIOS, video driver, and chipset drivers from the Dell support web site, but still have the same problem. Any suggestions?
Update: I narrowed down the issue to an NVidia GT 330 card that I added in the video card slot. After I remove the card, the sleep option re-appears. I'm going to try adding the card back and updating the drivers for it, and see if that doesn't solve the problem.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19985125
Relevancy 50.74%

New to Windows 7 and starting implementation for work.  Like to prevent users from accidently clicking on Lock and or Sleep when they click on Start.  I see in gpedit that I can disable everything including shutdown and logoff, but want to keep the options for shutdown, logoff and switch users.  Thanks in advance.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/044e0e40-6aec-43b8-a084-f59e56f4d50e/how-to-remove-sleep-and-lock-option-from-the-start-menu?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 50.74%

I retired my XP machine and switched the XP's better case with my other Win 7 Pro 64 bit system. ( Win 7 had an older case with less usb ports/options/cooling etc )

AOK except with power buttons...both buttons shut down PC...no sleep for either button. I have sleep enabled for the "sleep" button on case front...but both buttons shut down system. The 2 buttons are as follows: left button has a 'triangle' on it...right button has a 90% circle with a small vertical line at top.
No longer have the info for the case...and no 'brand' is stamped anywhere I can find on the case.

Sleep worked before on the XP system with the right/circle button...but both buttons now shut down PC ?

Thanks...TiminAZ

A:Both case buttons shut down computer...no sleep option on either

By convention, the "90% circle with a small vertical line at top" is the universal symbol for POWER (or the ON/OFF switch). The wire leads from this switch (2) should be connected to the motherboard's PWR connectors - which I am sure it was since the XP days.

In your Windows Power Options there will be a setting that will allow you to select what you want to happen when you press certain buttons. For the POWER button the default is "Shut Down". This can be changed to Sleep or Hybernate. Users choice.

To access settings, go to Start > Control Panel > Power Options
Then for what ever Power Plan is selected > click "Change Plan Settings"
Near the bottom of the next window, click "Change Advanced Power Settings"
Click the plus sign next to "Power Buttons and Lid" > and make your selections.

I am not familiar with the "'triangle' on it" button. But let's assume it is a "Sleep Button", and you can change that too in the same place.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/314947-both-case-buttons-shut-down-computer-no-sleep-option-either.html
Relevancy 50.31%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi A few weeks ago I purchased the following - Intel Core DUO E quot LGA Allendale quot GHz FSB - Asus P N-E SLi nForce Socket PCI-Express DDR MotherboardGeIL Bios - GB x GB PC C MHz Ultra Low Latency DDR Dual Channel Kit - OCUK w PSU - Tuniq - BFG gt - Couple of amber fans Computer motherboard option? only freezes, is - Seagate gb hd - Windows Computer freezes, is motherboard only option? XP I have tried overclocking it but have now put it back to factory defaults Under normal conditions my PC appears fine i e browsing internet or playing games However as soon as I start to download something on usenet the PC will freeze after about mins to two hours It doesn t matter which Newsreader I use the same thing happens with everyone I have tried running Orthos for hours without downloading from the net and it seems fine as does temps in Coretemp I have also tried reseating my heatsink I have also tried swapping out my new RAM and graphics cards for old ones and reinstalling windows with Vista and then back to XP and the problem still exists I have also tried two different hard drives and run Seatools on my Seagate with no errors I am now at a loss for what to try next any ideas or any other way I can test this The only thing I can think of is that the motherboard it broken One of the Sata connectors on the board was broken when I received it but as there were three others I have not sent it back should I Many thanks David nbsp

A:Computer freezes, is motherboard only option?

Bigmonty said:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the Sata connectors on the board was broken when I received it but as there were three others I have not sent it back, should I?

If you have recived an item and it is faulty you should return it straight away. You never know that bit thats broken could come back and haunt you. , or quite possibale having some effect on the issue now...

Dan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-freezes-is-motherboard-only-option.557973/
Relevancy 50.31%

Before and stupid person asks, yes I've shown disabled devices in recording tab.

Now for the problem, I have no stereo mix option... Was wondering if it was something with the motherboard, or what, cause I've never had this kind of problem before.
It's an Asus p5e-vm do. If anyone has any idea's or knows what the problem is please let me know, would be much appreciated.

A:Asus motherboard No stereo mix option, need help.

This has been an issue with some model PC's. When I was doing support on the Dell forums a couple of years ago there were a couple of Dell models that did not have the System Mixer. People tried various non-Dell drivers but non-Dell drivers either did not install, did not work or would not work properly.

You can try other drivers, as I don't know if ASUS systems "must have" ASUS sound drivers, like the Dell's. If you can't find a driver solution, there are some (paid for) software solutions that will function like the system mixer and allow you to record, for example, streaming audio from the internet. I don't recall what the program's are but I remember seeing one referenced in a post a couple of months ago. There was "Total Recorder" that did that function in Windows XP, I don't know if its been updated to work in Vista/Win 7 but you can check it out as a start.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/257671-asus-motherboard-no-stereo-mix-option-need-help.html
Relevancy 50.31%

My Toshiba updated to 1607 the other day and I found it wasn't sleeping with the timeout I have set in power options. So I created a new power plan and set the sleep timeout again. When I went to wake the system I found I'd forgotten to disable the option to require a password on wake up. But the option in the options for all my power plans is gone now.

I've always had the system settings configured not to require a password to sign in to windows when it boots up. And that's still working.

Can anyone point me to where this setting may have been moved?
Thanks

A:No option to disable required password waking from sleep in 1607

Originally Posted by ohante

My Toshiba updated to 1607 the other day and I found it wasn't sleeping with the timeout I have set in power options. So I created a new power plan and set the sleep timeout again. When I went to wake the system I found I'd forgotten to disable the option to require a password on wake up. But the option in the options for all my power plans is gone now.

I've always had the system settings configured not to require a password to sign in to windows when it boots up. And that's still working.

Can anyone point me to where this setting may have been moved?
Thanks

Settings►Accounts►Sign-in options►Require sign-in

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/64365-no-option-disable-required-password-waking-sleep-1607-a.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Thank you all in advance reset State Power every Processor of Maximum sleep/hib Option Serious for any help you can provide I am new to Serious Power Option reset of Maximum Processor State every sleep/hib this forum and I just do not know where else to turn or at least point me to the correct forums to post I just got my new Windows Home Edition Premium bit Lenovo T and I cannot enjoy it for the following reason Under power options I created a custom balanced profile and set my Processory Power Managment settings to - for Maximum processor state on battery and plugged in and - for Minimum processor state on battery and plugged in Everytime i put my computer to sleep hibernate restart shutdown etc the maximum processor state always resets to on on both plugged in battery This means I cannot enjoy my new PC at full processor state ever Is there a startup program that affects this I am running NVidia and Intel chips I have troublkeshooted every setting on both to still get the same result Is anyone aware of have any input onto this Thank you so much in advance I am really desparate Lenovo support has not experienced this problem prior when I called prioirty support Nick

A:Serious Power Option reset of Maximum Processor State every sleep/hib

Have you updated the BIOS on that machine to the latest version available (if it hasn't been already)? I remember issues with their thinkpad line last year where resume from sleep would cause the CPU to throttle itself and not come back from throttle, even under A/C power, until a cold power down and reboot (and thus the IBM tools would set OS values incorrectly at times). A BIOS update mid to late last year fixed this problem, so make sure your BIOS is the latest if you can, and it should be very recent too.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/211158-serious-power-option-reset-maximum-processor-state-every-sleep-hib.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I have attached a screenshot of the properties dialogue. With other utilities I come across a change icon button in the properties but not here. How can I change the icon on programs with this kind of properties dialogue? I looked in all the tabs and did not see a change icon button.

thnx.

A:Icon Change - No Option?

Hello MourningStart,

You would need to create a shortcut from iexplorer.exe instead, then you will be able to change the icon of the shortcut.

Shortcut - Change Icon

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/216331-icon-change-no-option.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hello I just put a music CD in the drive a popup window appeared I only glanced at it and hit ok without thinking about it It said something like quot Rip audio from CD using media player quot with a window ticked with something like quot make this the default option when putting in a CD quot Now every time when I put the CD in the drive windows media player starts up and isn t able to rip the songs and freezes - I m not worried about that - I just want to find the option so that it won t try to automatically start media player and rip what for cd put when change happens option default in it every time I put it in the drive Actually this is one of those little problems that has bugged me over the years but I change default option for what happens when put in cd never asked about it where are the settings to change the default options for when you put in a CD connect something If I ever accidentally click that box that says quot make this the default option for when you do such and such quot I m always stuck with it because change default option for what happens when put in cd I don t know how to change them Thanks

A:change default option for what happens when put in cd

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/AutoPlay-frequently-asked-questions

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/375779/change-default-option-for-what-happens-when-put-in-cd/
Relevancy 49.45%

I wanted to change the default setting for indexing of the start menu, tring to speed the computer. I logged in on a regular account, was able to get to the index menu. I was asked for a administrator password, which I supplied. I attempted to make the changes but was told that an error had ocurred and that the changes could not be made. Can anyone help? I have 64bit Home premium.

A:Cannot Change Indexing Option

Originally Posted by richc46

I wanted to change the default setting for indexing of the start menu, tring to speed the computer. I logged in on a regular account, was able to get to the index menu. I was asked for a administrator password, which I supplied. I attempted to make the changes but was told that an error had ocurred and that the changes could not be made. Can anyone help? I have 64bit Home premium.

I'm guessing you want to turn off Indexing completely? Although I do not recommend this, follow the procedures in this tutorial : Index - Enable or Disable

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/201674-cannot-change-indexing-option.html
Relevancy 49.45%

hi friends,

I wanted to uninstall Norton antivirus on my computer. but the change remove option was not available in the control panel. while for some programs its showing but for some its not. plz help

A:change/remove option not available

Hi saviogonsalvez and welcome to TSF

To uninstall Norton, you will need to use their uninstall tool.

You can download it at this link:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...05033108162039

Hope this helps,
Mack1

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/change-remove-option-not-available-304234.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hello i've bought a new motherboard which is ASUS M A L-M USB It has jack slots I've downloaded the audio driver for it from asus com which is VIA HD Audio Deck I have a option change i How do jack Creative A Sound system Now to what i want Since i have jack slots and my sound system has jacks plus a microphone i get free slots I have a headphone and i usually listen or play my games on that and sometimes How do i change jack option i open the for musics My computer case is a little far from me and i'm a bit lazy to change the jacks everytime i wanna listen music On a motherboard i had in the past it had a function to change line-in to microphone or headphone etc I can't find that option on VIA HD Audio Deck and i can't see the gray jack in VIA What i wanna do is i'm gonna plug my headphones to the green jack and the How do i change jack option jacks of to the rest and change the grey jack to the same with headphones so both will be giving audio and i'll close the when i don't need it Do you know where is it or is there a way to this

A:How do i change jack option

It seems i was lacking in the search department i had a tab left open before i post this, the solution was there if anyone wants to know you have to change the registery
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\System\CurrentControlSet\Service s\VIA HD Audio Codec Default\VDeckINI\VDeck\OPTIONS

In this path you will find a key called "BackPanel_JackRetasking".
Open this key and change this value to 1."

But i still don't know why i don't see the grey jack do you know anything about that?

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/302561-how-do-i-change-jack-option.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi,
This has now happened twice to me in the last 4 months on my Toshiba Windows 8 laptop. I'm not exactly sure what I pressed, but it makes it so the screen resolution become much bigger and the computer game I was playing at the moment (MineCraft) was unplayable, as the game was just too laggy. I've looked through every setting but could not find the source of the problem. When this happened 4 months ago, after about a week, it fixed itself, but this time it is not. I know I am not supplying much detail, but at the time I could have pressed the "Fn" key, "Windows" key, "Left Shift", "Left Ctrl" "F2" or "F3". I wasn't exactly looking down at my keyboard when this happened. If you happen to know the solution or a way to fix the problem, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
-Adam

A:Weird Option Change but No Way to Fix It?

Maybe you're talking about the Magnifier ?
"Start key" + "- (minus) key" zooms out your screen
"Start key" + "+ (plus) key" zooms in
You can turn it off via Control Panel > Ease of Access Center
Click on "Start Magnifier" and reset it back to 100%.
Click on "Make the Computer easier to see" and uncheck "Turn on Magnifier" then click Apply and OK.

The other shortcut I know of that could affect the display is the Display Presentation Mode ( "Start key" + "P" ) : Presentation Mode - Change - Windows 7 Help Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/56359-weird-option-change-but-no-way-fix.html
Relevancy 49.02%

We recently received a new license key for ATA, but we see no option to change the license key via the web interface.
Does anyone know the proper procedure for changing the ATA license key?
Thanks in advance.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2977685a-4e07-44b8-846b-3f761d9ffc43/license-issue-no-option-to-change?forum=mata
Relevancy 49.02%

When I am gtrying to change the BIOS order to boot from a cd I cannot because there is no such option. The cd option reads usb cd. I set that as the first option in the lineup, and the computer cannot find the cd. It says  something like "not detected."; so I cannot reboot from a cd.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/How-do-I-change-BIOS-option-from-usbcd-to-just-cd/td-p/3352982
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi,

I was trying to find the registry value in Vista where you can change the option from shutdown to logoff. By default Vista remember the last option you have chosen and I would like to change that when a user logs in. Any ideas? Will appreciate any help I can get. Thank you.

A:Change option from shutdown to logoff

Check in Control Panel>Power Options. I am not at a Vista computer right now, and I don't remember the exact path, but look around for Advanced Power Options. Check in there for the Power button action.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/261335-change-option-shutdown-logoff.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Yesterday I got a new EliteBook 840 G3 with Windows 10. To use the screen brightness, louder etc Keys I need to press the Fn key. But as I never use the f1-12 Keys but the multimedia Keys a lot, I don`t want to need to press Fn always! In my Bios there is only an option to swap Fn with ctrl, but not to enable/disable. (BIOS-Version/-Datum    HP N75 Ver. 01.10, 31.07.2016) There is no option in the mobility center. I tried pressing Fn with esc, ctrl, num lock and a lot of other keys. I really hope someone can help me!

A:Change Fn Key function (no option in Bios)

Hi  Please try this. http://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c02951398 if this works please not forget  to click Kudos!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Change-Fn-Key-function-no-option-in-Bios/td-p/5852516
Relevancy 49.02%

In Vista Ultimate, classic view, when I go to perform the normal shutdown, I get this little menu, with "Sleep" as the default setting:

I'd like to change that, probably in the registry, from "Sleep" to "Restart".
To restart the system is the only reason I ever go to that menu.
To just shut down the system, I use a shortcut Icon on the Desktop.
I would NEVER want to put the system to Sleep.

Any ideas would be welcome. Maybe even a script?

Thank You,
The Shadow

A:Change Default Shutdown Option??

HeyTheShadowFl

You can create a shortcut on your desktop for restarting your system

1. Right click on your desktop and select New

2. Select Shortcut

3. In the box for Type Your Location Of Your Item type the following:

Shutdown.exe -r -t 00

4. In the box for Type A Name For This Shortcut call it like Restart or something you would like

5. Click Finish, Right Click on the icon and select Properties and then select Advanced

6. Select to Run As Administrator to make sure it runs first time

You should now be able to double click the icon and restart your computer

Regards

Craig

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/change-default-shutdown-option-262647.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Window is too big to get to the buttons at the bottom of change resolution display. Tried left-clicking to move screen but it only moves it a 1/4" All 5 restore points do not work, there was an error when they were saved. Windows Backup and Restore does not work. It got thru 2 1/2 discs, twice before it said there was an error. I have run scans for Virus and Spyware, Nothing was found although i did remove Marketflip.FakeSearchandDestroy about 4 days ago. I'm thinking it's from installing Vista SP1. Vista did run faster after installing it for about 1 day. I've been all over the Internet checking out Vista forums, with no luck, it seems Vista is too new or i did something dumb that nobody else has done yet. Think i'll check into uninstalling SP1.

A:Unable To Change Resolution In Display Option

Hello Winger84 and welcome to BC The issue you are having could be related to the malware on your system. I see that you have an HJT log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/137270/marketflipfakesearchanddestroy/ Because you have that log posted, DO NOT make any further changes to your computer: deleting files, editing the registry, using special fix tools, installing or uninstalling software etc. as this will make it more difficult for the HJT team to help you.Please be patient as the HJT team is EXTREMELY busy. DO NOT bump your log as the team may think that someone is already helping you. If you have not had a response by, let's say, April 7 add a response to the five days no response topic and paste in the link to your thread.To avoid confusion I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log. Once you have been declared clean and if you are still having problems with the issue outlined above and need the topic reopened, send a PM to a moderator.Orange Blossom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/137932/unable-to-change-resolution-in-display-option/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello, My sound is super quiet, when I open the playback device screen I can clearly see that even with the volume on full, the green bars are only ever lit up by around 10%. I have updated all drivers, including BIOS, and audio of course, and also performed all updates. I have even turned it off and on again  Can anyone help? This seems to be a consistent issue. I have Bang & Olfsen speakers on this notebook and that's why I bought it - pretty annoyed that I can't fix this! Any contributions welcome. Thanks!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Audio/No-enhancement-tab-or-option-to-change-the-default-audio/td-p/5830129
Relevancy 48.59%

Anyone know how to change the dual boot option screen from the dowdy black with white lettering?
I seem to remember I once had a blue screen with both Windows logos on before when I had a dual boot system.

A:Change the dual boot option screen.

What OS's are you dual booting with? As it stands now, what ever the 2nd OS is installed, that becomes the default dual-boot screen. Example if windows 7 is the primarey and then you install windows 8, the 8 dual boot screen is now the default. It's vise versa with 8 and dual boot with 7.

To answer your question; You can do with BCDEDIT or EasyBCD...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/change-the-dual-boot-option-screen-904113.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi,
Is there any option available to arrange all files and folder in  alphabetically group.

For Example I have multilple folders name a ,aa ,b,c,d,e,f ,k,l,m,n and multiple files name  a ,b, c,d ,dd,e,g,z,k.
If we will arrange all these files and folders sort and group by name than first it arrange all  folder by name than it arrange all files by name. but I want to arrange  like all files and folder started with A latter should be in A group 
than  same for B  and so and so.

In simple can be arrange files and folders like windows XP

Rakesh Kumar

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0a466854-571c-4919-a524-d7f601c00239/is-there-any-option-to-change-files-and-folders-alphabetically?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 48.59%

Help please I have Dell Optiplex and latest Phoenix Bios version A I have Optiplex-not - ECP from lpt1 Bios change Need option! to new Xerox Docuprint M that will not work with ECP printer port I do not have option in Bios to either make it ECP or change it from ECP Only options are PS and AT In Dell documentation it says will support EPP and ECP via drivers I have tried to change driver Need to change lpt1 from ECP - Optiplex-not Bios option! for port in Device manager to regular port both by changing and also by deleting in safe mode and reinstalling it but nothing works Win keeps finding it and reinstalling as ECP I looked at board printer board is embedded on the board - not a separate card and see no obvious jumpers or anything Dell support has been ignoring me and Xerox support just says talk to your PC vendor I m ready to send printer back Need to change lpt1 from ECP - Optiplex-not Bios option! but like it because it has individual color ink cartridges Does anyone have any ideas I m stumped Pleas help - I m not afraid to go into registry or whatever but don t know where to go from here THANKS nbsp

Relevancy 48.59%

Trying to make changes to my firewall but the button that says 'Change Settings' is greyed out. Already checked to make sure I'm Admin.

A:Firewall 'Change Settings' Option Greyed Out

Hi.

The Change Settings goes gray after you click it. You will notice that your checkmarks are not grayed out, meaning you can check and uncheck programs in that list. So you are already in "change settings" mode. Just go ahead and make the changes you want.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/208144-firewall-change-settings-option-greyed-out.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have Dell Dim whose performance and virtual memory problems have me looking seriously into replacing it by buying a new desktop The three things I do not like in my current system are Low RAM MB but old and expensive to replace This is the main stumbling block as the system slows down and jams up multiple times during a day And frankly I am hesitant to take on the challenge of adding Upgrading 8100 replacing motherboard - option Dim an is a the Solved: Dell memory due to lack of experience I almost bought the memory but Solved: Upgrading a Dell Dim 8100 - is replacing the motherboard an option then worried about bios - and how out of date they were etc USB Drive - I believe it has the old USB drive that is awfully slow The processor is slow although I could live with it I have a large relatively new hard drive GB and other Solved: Upgrading a Dell Dim 8100 - is replacing the motherboard an option peripherals are sufficient for my needs Is refurbishing the system by replacing the two components I do not like an option If so what d I need - and how could I go about it given that I am not technically savvy Would love to find a way to keep on with the same system as it has the software setup I need Thanks a lot nbsp

A:Solved: Upgrading a Dell Dim 8100 - is replacing the motherboard an option

The first thing to consider is if you install a new mobo then you will have reinstall windows and software.
Secondly as I understand it fitting an "off the shelf" mobo may prove differcult as Dell have there own custom mobos.
It might be easier to buy a new case, install new mobo etc and use what you can from the Dell pc, hard drive, optical drives, floppy etc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-upgrading-a-dell-dim-8100-is-replacing-the-motherboard-an-option.482946/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello tenforums I hope you can help A friend of mine who recently upgraded to Windows is legally blind and is struggling with some accessibility options Here is what we are struggling with We need to change the font Icon Change Option Desktop Color - Accessibility color of desktop icons to black Certain contrasts are more visible for some impairments and in this case a yellow background with black bold icon text is the best condition What I've tried Tried high contrast theme modeTried to modify regedit based on a suggestion for here Where I've looked Control Panel - System - Advanced System Settings - Advanced - PerformancePersonalize - Change Desktop IconsPersonalize - ColorsControl Panel - PersonalizationDisplay SettingsThemes - Theme Settings I was able to get the text black when using the white high contrast mode but that option won't work While it does change the icon text to black it also takes over many other options that deliver a less than desirable contrast for the user We originally were thinking we could start with the high contrast theme save as another theme and then systematically roll back the changes we didn't like leaving the black text Does not work - when in high contrast mode it effectively locks out your ability to Desktop Icon Color Change - Accessibility Option make certain changes Any assistance would be greatly appreciated

A:Desktop Icon Color Change - Accessibility Option

I struggled with this for some time but I found a way. If you have the background set to picture, set it to Solid color. Chances are it's black by default. This is forcing a white font color regardless what you select for a picture. Change it to say orange, which will make the font color black. Now change the background back to picture, and you should have a black icon font color.

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/14921-desktop-icon-color-change-accessibility-option.html
Relevancy 48.16%

What I am trying to do is find or create a script or batch file that changes the quot When I script change option How regedit or a to properties power through press the power button on my computer quot option - to always be set to Shut down - this is under the Power Options Properties Advanced tab What we are looking to do is push out this to several laptops to ensure when How to change power option properties through a script or regedit the power How to change power option properties through a script or regedit button is pushed it shuts down and does not go into standby My question is does anyone know of a script or registry edit that I can do to accomplish this as the company is running Server which does not offer a group policy setting or template and powercfg does not have this option I ve read that I can use a program like regshot to look for the changes in the registry but it appears that the system when changing between quot standby quot and quot shutdown quot changes some binary and hexidecimal settings all of which I would like to try to avoid editing if possible Any help would be appreciated Thank you for your time nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-change-power-option-properties-through-a-script-or-regedit.937831/
Relevancy 48.16%

Ok so in a moment of stupidity I was messing around with "folder options" in control panel.

I ended up over my hdd option and I think I set "find" to the defult thing to do when opening/double clicking on a hdd because now that is what happens. Everytime I double click my pc opens search.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks a lot.

Chris

A:[SOLVED] Changed a folder option. Does anyone know how to change it back?

Assuming your single click still alows you internet access, go to Kelly's Korner and use line 215 right hand side to reset the Explore function.

-> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-changed-a-folder-option-does-anyone-know-how-to-change-it-back-525575.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I just got a new computer a few days ago (Acer Aspire X3400) And I have my speakers plugged into the green audio jack in the back and my headphones plugged into the black audio jack in the front but they both come under speakers in my playback devices (as well as rear black port) and if both my speakers and headphones are plugged in sound only plays through my headphones but if I got to my realtek HD audio manager and disable front panel jack detection sound plays out of both, but I want it so sound comes out of my speakers and I can hear people in my skype call through my headphones, but for that my headphones and speakers need to be shown as different devices, just want to know if I can make if show different jack as different audio devices instead of sticking a few under one device. kthxbai <3

A:How do I change my audio jacks from under one playback device option?

Is there any chance you can rewrite that and use more than 1 sentence to make it intelligible?

An occasional period would help. Maybe even some white space or multiple paragraphs.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/202923-how-do-i-change-my-audio-jacks-under-one-playback-device-option.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi all

I'm after some help, I have a shared folder on a Windows 7 machine within a small home network. When connecting to this shared folder from an XP machine and right clicking and taking the customize option there is no option to "Change Icon"
This option is available when trying from the local (W7) machine. Anyone know if there is a way of enabling this ?

see icon.jpg attached for example

Thanks in advance

A:No option to change folder icon when connecting to a share

Hi, did you get a solution for this? I'm having the same issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/265310-no-option-change-folder-icon-when-connecting-share.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hey guys I am looking for things which im having much difficulty the first is during a disk format of a cd-r or dvd-r the OS displays a notification icon for the process until it is complete My problem here is the system runs in a program that is kept in the forground and there is no access normally for the start bar or windows During the time that the notification icon is in the task bar though it allows them full access to the start bar Is there anyway to disable this notification icon for the formatting process My second question Is there a way to auto select like a flash drive for burning everytime Ok so found out that during a format which i did a dvd-r to keep the notifcation open longer that i could then modify the notifications and see that process to hide it and it looks like it stays hidden now to not pop the start bar to the front of the program So now i just need to find a way to auto select like a flash drive for burning option change another Notification icon select and auto everytime Thanks

A:Notification icon change and another auto select option

You can add your Usb (flash drive) to the 'send to' menu with Send To Toys
:: gabrieleponti.com ::
Then send the file you want to burn, to your flash drive.

More information pics here http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...-send-to-toys/

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/124377-notification-icon-change-another-auto-select-option.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I am using windows 7 sp1 x64. I am not able to change my power option button action in start menu. It is just disables and i am not able to change it to anything.

Please help me fix this.

A:Cannot change Power Option Button in Start Menu

Hello Zaidbaby,

With it grayed out, it looks like you may have a group policy (option 4 or 5 below) set for this that prevents it from being changed.

You might see if you may be able to change the Power button action using one of the other options in the tutorial below instead.

Power Button - Start Menu

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/309329-cannot-change-power-option-button-start-menu.html
Relevancy 48.16%

My windows 8 laptop no longer allows me to select an option out of Power Saver, Balanced, High Performance, Power4Gear Battery Saving, and Power4Gear High Performance. It is set to High Performance, and any time I try to click another option it immediately returns to High Performance.

Any help?

A:Unable to change from 'High Performance' power option

For starters, Try sfc /scannow. Another easy to apply attempt at fixing is automatic repair. There are other possibilities, but none more appealing. Incidentally, how long have you had the problem? Did it begin, as far as you know, about the same time you did a significant installation, made a significant change, etc? If not too long ago, then you might be able to system restore out of the problem--without also uninstalling too many programs. You can find system restore in all programs/application, (or whatever its called) in metro. For example, go to start screen, and open all programs/applications.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/19224-unable-change-high-performance-power-option.html
Relevancy 48.16%

My windows 8 laptop no longer allows me to select an option out of Power Saver, Balanced, High Performance, Power4Gear Battery Saving, and Power4Gear High Performance. It is set to High Performance, and any time I try to click another option it immediately returns to High Performance.

Any help?

A:Unable to change from 'High Performance' power option

For starters, Try sfc /scannow. Another easy to apply attempt at fixing is automatic repair. There are other possibilities, but none more appealing. Incidentally, how long have you had the problem? Did it begin, as far as you know, about the same time you did a significant installation, made a significant change, etc? If not too long ago, then you might be able to system restore out of the problem--without also uninstalling too many programs. You can find system restore in all programs/application, (or whatever its called) in metro. For example, go to start screen, and open all programs/applications.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/19224-unable-change-high-performance-power-option.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi.. Just got in a new PC from Dell, Win7 Home Professional. I am setting it up now. I want to add Microsoft Update for Microsoft Products to Windows Update, but there is no pick for this option on Change Settings area only options "are recommended updates" and "allow other users to update".  "Microsoft Update" and Software Notifications" does not appear. I need the office updates... what am I missing??.

Thanks

A:No Option For Microsoft Product Updates on Change Settings?

Office updates are now included with Windows updates.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/535391/no-option-for-microsoft-product-updates-on-change-settings/
Relevancy 48.16%

A couple of days ago a friend told me that he couldn't view his hidden file s and folders and whenever he changed the setting to show them it just went back to hide Bitdefender and Spyware Doctor found numerous infections and one was Rootkit Agent QV which even though Spyware Doctor removes it it seems to reinstall itself Log Hidden files folders option and Attached change cannot after restart This is the Hijackthis Log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C Hidden files and folders option cannot change Log Attached WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe Hidden files and folders option cannot change Log Attached C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe C WINDOWS SOUNDMAN EXE C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files SyncroSoft Pos H O cledx exe C Hidden files and folders option cannot change Log Attached WINDOWS system Rundll exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files BitDefender BitDefender bdagent exe C Program Files Spyware Doctor pctsTray exe C Program Files Messenger Msmsgs exe C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exe C Program Files Common Files Autodesk Shared Service AdskScSrv exe C Program Files DCPFLICS DCPFLICS exe C Program Files Spyware Doctor pctsAuxs exe C Program Files Spyware Doctor pctsSvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system wdfmgr exe C Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SpySweeper exe C Program Files Common Files BitDefender BitDefender Communicator xcommsvr exe C Program Files Common Files BitDefender BitDefender Update Service livesrv exe C Program Files BitDefender BitDefender vsserv exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqSTE exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe C Program Files MSN Messenger usnsvc exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLLoginProxy exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Documents and Settings Vangelis Desktop hijackthis sfx HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http g msn com SEENUS SAOS R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http runonce msn com v msgrv O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - Toolbar BitDefender Toolbar - FFDE - - f -B D-FC A F C - C Program Files BitDefender BitDefender IEToolbar dll O - HKLM Run ATICCC quot C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE cli exe quot runtime -Delay O - HKLM Run SoundMan SOUNDMAN EXE O - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run H O quot C Program Files SyncroSoft Pos H O cledx exe quot O - HKLM Run P Helper Rundll P dll P Helper O - HKLM Run Creative WebCam Tray quot C Program Files Creative Shared Files CAMTRAY EXE quot O - HKLM Run HP Software Update quot C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe quot O - HKLM Run BitDefender Antiphishing Helper quot C Program Files BitDefender BitDefender IEShow exe quot O - HKLM Run BDAgent quot C Program Files BitDefender BitDefender bdagent exe quot O - HKLM Run ISTray quot C Program Files Spyware Doctor pctsTray exe quot O - HKCU Run Creative WebCam Tray quot C Program Files Creative Shared Files CamTray exe quot O - ... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/hidden-files-and-folders-option-cannot-change-log-attached-253132.html
Relevancy 48.16%

On double clicking on a partition in "MY COMPUTER" the SEARCH window is starting instead of showing the contents of that partition. In order to see the contents of a partition I have to right click on the same and select "OPEN" from the options. I am not able to change that default search option.

Please provide me the solution.

A:How To Change The Default Option Of Opening A Partition In The "my Computer"

Welcome to BC aparichitRun CHKDSK on that drive and try Doug Knox's folder_open.vbs if you continue to have problems.Save the file to your desktop and double-click on it to run the script. If you have a script blocking program you may receive an alert and have to give permission to allow it to continue. A confirmation dialog will appear when finished.If the above does not resolve the issue then your symptoms could be related to a flash drive infection. In that case download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.Reboot your computer when done.Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/115172/how-to-change-the-default-option-of-opening-a-partition-in-the-my-computer/
Relevancy 47.73%

I built a new computer for my wife The motherboard is an Asrock FM recognized not Sleep motherboard on new cmd A M Pro with an AMD A - k CPU Everything works fine except for one thing The CPU is an A series which means it has built in graphics similar to a or the like This means that I didn't have Sleep cmd not recognized on new motherboard to buy another graphics card thus bringing down the overall price The gotcha in this case is there is no quot Sleep quot option Windows quot requires quot a graphics card for use of the sleep option I use the sleep option to put the computer to sleep when she forgets which is most of the time and wake it past midnight to backup her work files Macrium then put it back to sleep On the old system I used this with success Rundll exe Powrprof dll SetSuspendState Sleep For hibernation I found variants on this such as Rundll exe Powrprof dll SetSuspendState which works at the command line but not via Task Scheduler If anyone has an idea how to get this working I'd appreciate reading about it Thanks Burt

A:Sleep cmd not recognized on new motherboard

Well; the biggest problem with this is; if your motherboard does not have the option/support for "sleep" mode via the motherboard bios in power management; then there is a chance you might not be able to get it to sleep at all. Now; Ive never heard of any motherboard not having a sleep mode option(via windows even) so you might have to do without it. Best thing i can think of is to check the motherboard manufacturers site for any bios updates that might add sleep to it. Either that or contact the motherboard manufacturer and see what they have to say about it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/331395-sleep-cmd-not-recognized-new-motherboard.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I was wondering if it is possible to programmatically change the Advanced Sharing -> Homegroup connections option? I would like to run a script to set it to "Use User account and passwords to connect to other computers".
I have looked around at different registry settings and the group policy editor and haven't found it yet.
Appreciate the input. Much thanks.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f3eea09b-1fb5-4f7c-ba47-d6a5b16d6beb/change-advanced-sharing-gt-homegroup-connections-option-programmatically?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 47.3%

I posted a thread a Motherboard sleep manual preventing while ago and I thought something was preventing my computer from sleeping Mouse or keyboard but I have tried the lastwake command and it will say my keyboard at first but keeps coming up with something else that awakened it my computer from sleep As I disable all the things preventing sleep from device manager I was talking to my mouse' manufacturer support and apparently it's a setting in allot of motherboards that do not turn off USB devices after the system is shut down The thing I don't understand is I have my computer set to sleep whenever it's left idle for something like - minutes and it sleeps without waking straight after It's just if I click 'Sleep' from the start menu it won't do it Motherboard preventing manual sleep I have looked Motherboard preventing manual sleep around in my Asus M A GTD PRO BIOS but can't find it I tried disabling some things but didn't do as I wanted At this point I don't know if it's my motherboard or if it is indeed a USB device

A:Motherboard preventing manual sleep

In device manager, under Univerisal Bus controllers, usb - right click, power management and make sure you go through and uncheck the boxs that say "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". Double check the same for keyboards and mice, then make sure that the box is checked for Under keyboards and mice, under power management "allow this device to wake the computer".

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/179071-motherboard-preventing-manual-sleep.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Like the title said, the theme program the remove the link to change the login icon on my PC. Yesterday I have to manually removed it since it cannot be uninstall in My Computer. I just remove the login Icon it forced on me but I cannot choose a new icon. Is there anyway to get the option back?

A:Download a theme program and it Remove my option to change login icon

Hello Ryner, and welcome to Seven Forums.

If you like, you could do a system restore using a restore point dated before this happened to undo and fix it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/361488-download-theme-program-remove-my-option-change-login-icon.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I recently built a new computer All is awesome Only one thing urks me When I put the computer into sleep when I am going to step away from it for an extended period of time sleep does not shut off the fans as well So in essence the computer is still running just without a display Its possible it may simply be running a low powered mode with only minimal power going to the processor and the Mobo is simply keeping the fans running There is no way to really identify if that is the case though and I do not want my fans running all the time The mother board I am using is the EVGA FTW put sleep. the Solved: to New into like computer doesn't motherboard x I noticed my brother has the same issue and he is running the Classified version of the EVGA x boards I was wondering is this just a safety precaution EVGA uses and is specific to them or is there a way to configure the board computer to make the computer go into the sleep mode I want it to Solved: New motherboard doesn't like to put the computer into sleep. achieve I have searched the bios high and low and cannot find this option The user manual does not say much about this either Note I am very well versed in what is listed in my bios Thanks for any info Solved: New motherboard doesn't like to put the computer into sleep. you guy may be able to provide nbsp

A:Solved: New motherboard doesn't like to put the computer into sleep.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-new-motherboard-doesnt-like-to-put-the-computer-into-sleep.976228/
Relevancy 46.44%

I have an HP media center PC running x64 Vista, when I usually put the PC in sleep mode (I'm assuming s3?) the case fans, PS fans and CPU fan would all cut off, now they do not. I have been reading and scanning forums all day on the subject and find no fixes. The closest thing I can come to is a registry setting? There are no power management options in BIOS(the BIOS is the most recent release, I checked).

Any suggestions appreciated!
JC Carmichael

A:Motherboard fans won't turn off in sleep mode anymore.

Fans won't cut off as in woon't turn off or keep on going? Have you tried flashing the BIOS?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/244965-motherboard-fans-wont-turn-off-sleep-mode-anymore.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I purchased my Dell Inspiron laptop a year ago and up until recently it had worked fine however recent problems i have encountered have been as change cannot and brightness, sleep, Laptop more. follows -If i close the lid or use any other method to try to put the laptop into sleep mode the screen will turn off as normal but it cannot be woken by any means requiring a forced shutdown then restart -If the laptop is left to idle to long and the screen turns off but not to sleep the same situation as above occurs -Sometimes but not every time when the laptop Laptop cannot sleep, change brightness, and more. is restarted it doesn't recognize any AMD graphics driver or any AMD device which i assume means it cannot detect the card -Sometimes but not every time and seemingly not linked to the AMD problems when the laptop is restarted I am unable to adjust the brightness of the screen by any means the keyboard buttons do not work and the options usually found in the power options are no longer visible -I sometimes get a device manager code for the Intel graphics HD Laptop cannot sleep, change brightness, and more. family Laptop cannot sleep, change brightness, and more. Specs -Intel i - u core - bit proccessor -AMD Radeon HD I had these problems earlier in the year and they were fixed with a factory reset but one day while trying to play a game the laptop crashed and after the forced update these problems arose again I called dell support to no avail and I've searched for an answer but i cannot find it likely due to my lack of technical understanding If anyone can help id be grateful If I've left off important information please ask and i will find it

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/66734-laptop-cannot-sleep-change-brightness-more.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Is it possible to change the default sleep state to S3 ? So everytime i sleep command is sent to the computer, it would enter advanced S3 sleep instead of just the normal sleep state.

The reason i want to do that is because i bought a MCE remote (Rosewill RHRC-11002). It has a sleep button and i want to use it to make my HTPC enter S3 Sleep mode...

A:Change default sleep state to S3

This might help a little: S3.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/23087-change-default-sleep-state-s3.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Recently my sleep mode stopped working. When i choose sleep mode option in Vista instead of sleeping it now goes to User Sign in screen instead of sleeping/hibernating.

Any Thoughts?
Dennis

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sleep-mode-is-going-to-change-user.986093/
Relevancy 46.01%

Created a sleep shortcut using this command: rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0, disabled Hibernate, and the sleep command works perfectly. However, its icon is very generic cr*p, and when I clicked "change icon," the only icon showing was the geneic folder-like icon. What happened to the list of icons? And if I can't get tot he list, how can I change the icon? Thanks.

EDIT: Just noticed that when I brought the computer out of sleep that "Locked" now appears above the password field. Everything worked alright, but I'd also like to know what "Locked" means and why it is there?

A:Can't change icon for Sleep shortcut?

For the icon, after you click on Change Icon, browse to

%SystemRoot%\system32\imageres.dll

that's where all the normal icons reside.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/91773-cant-change-icon-sleep-shortcut.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hey all I'm having a little challenge for you guys I quess It might not be that difficult but I don't know if it is possible Here's my situation I've got a laptop Acer and when I close the screen by default the laptop goes change Quickly mode sleep in to sleep mode which is a good Quickly change sleep mode thing Now I'm using my laptop also as a mediastreaming device dlna to my blu-ray player Now I would like to have for example a shortcut to prevent windows going in to sleep mode when I close the screen while streaming content to the blu-ray player This to prevent that the laptop stops streaming when I close the screen I Quickly change sleep mode would like to have this setting optional so when I don't stream content to the blu-ray player the laptop does go in to sleepmode when I close the screen Is there a way to make this happen By means of two shortcuts for example to prevent sleepmode and to restore sleepmode to default I hope someone knows a way Kind regards Asterix

A:Quickly change sleep mode

Hello Asterix,

As a workaround for this, you could setup two different power plans for this. Have one (ex: High Performance) set how you like when you use the computer normally, and the other (ex: Balanced) set to use for how you like when you are streaming.

Afterwards, you could use the tutorial below to create shortcuts to use to be able to easily toggle between using these power plans for this.

Power Plan - Create Shortcut to Change Power Plan

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/242805-quickly-change-sleep-mode.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hey guys

i just finished my build and i have no idea why i went for a motherboard with 2 slots for ram it can hold up to 16gb but luckly ebuyer sent me out an extra 4gb of kingston hyperx ram so i have 8gb all together but theres a problem theres 4 sticks !

obviously i wouldnt want to send it back so what do ya think either upgrade my motherboard and smash the extra 4 gb in there or keep to my original one i dont have money to blow atall im really struggling if its something that will really make a difference ill go with it if not then ill just keep to my original and when i come to buy a graphics card i will get a 2gb graphics card to help with gaming all i really do is gaming i dont really do anything else

thankyou for your time

A:Motherboard 4gb Max or change motherboard for 8gb ?

I'd go with 4 gigs until you had a major reason to believe it wasn't enough. If that ever happens, consider your next move. Most people do just fine with 4 gigs.

I considered 8 gigs on my 4 slot board but decided against it and don't regret it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/148979-motherboard-4gb-max-change-motherboard-8gb.html