Windows Support Forum

Computer on home network

Q: Computer on home network

Is there a way to hook up a computer to a home network without having that computer connected to the Internet. So the way my brother wants it setup is that his laptop has access to the internet (wirelessly). He wants to be able to share files between his laptop and desktop...but doesn't want his desktop to be connected to the internet. Is this possible?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Computer on home network

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Computer on home network

Configure your desktop a static ip address and leave default gateway blank.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-on-home-network.178239/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a home desktop computer, and a work laptop. Over the years I've changed laptops and home computers, and have always been able to get network sharing working so I can transfer files between them by using \\<hostname>

I've had my current setup for about 6 months now, and have been able to share files. Let's call my home computer "alien" and my work computer "laptop".

A couple of days ago, I found I was not able to connect to alien from laptop, but I could connect the other way. Also, alien can ping laptop, but NOT vice versa. alien has a static IP of 192.168.1.200, and laptop has an IP address of 192.168.1.8 via DHCP.

Any ideas about why laptop cannot ping alien (which would explain why I can't connect to it)?

A:Can no longer connect to home computer over home network

Quote: Originally Posted by mbh9700

I have a home desktop computer, and a work laptop. Over the years I've changed laptops and home computers, and have always been able to get network sharing working so I can transfer files between them by using \\<hostname>

I've had my current setup for about 6 months now, and have been able to share files. Let's call my home computer "alien" and my work computer "laptop".

A couple of days ago, I found I was not able to connect to alien from laptop, but I could connect the other way. Also, alien can ping laptop, but NOT vice versa. alien has a static IP of 192.168.1.200, and laptop has an IP address of 192.168.1.8 via DHCP.

Any ideas about why laptop cannot ping alien (which would explain why I can't connect to it)?

You may want to disable the antivirus software for testing. With the ping not working it would seem like something is blocking the connection. Do the machines appear in the network folder under network?

Obviously you should make sure that Network Discovery and File and Printer sharing are turned on in the Advanced Sharing settings.

Make sure they are on the same Workgroup etc. and that file sharing is enabled through the sharing tab >Advanced Sharing> of the C:>Users folder.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/309141-can-no-longer-connect-home-computer-over-home-network.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi First post but I hope to be able to use this Forum to help get familiar with Windows Im used to Windows XP but my Old HP network single Desktop computer on to Work home computer? Compaq Desktop Computer finally died My Buddy gave me one of his Work Office computers that was on a Network system with other computers Im going to be using it for my home with internet access I'd like to change the administrator name and password along with deleting other user accounts but I seem to have problems doing so He gave me his original User name and password to be able to access the computer and clean things out Will I have a problem using this computer at home is it was setup for Work Desktop computer on network to single home computer? a network system I'd like to get it back to basics so I can utilize as much of the Hard drive as possible but I do not have the windows disk Im not much of a computer Wiz but I can do pretty well with guidance and or the proper links so please have patience with me Im also trying to figure out Windows paint on this computer so I can post pics

A:Work Desktop computer on network to single home computer?

It would be best to re install windows on that pc.

What operating system is on it now ?

Does it have a COA sticker on it ?

Can you read the activation key on it ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/323731-work-desktop-computer-network-single-home-computer.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Thanks in advance for the assistance My computer has become unbearably slow One of my servers was infected with a rootkit and when I started investigating this one I found a lot of things that seem risky Here are the logs DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Michael Harris at on Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - AV AVG Anti-Virus Free On-access scanning disabled Updated DDD - FF- network mal-ware other on detected on Very home computer computer, slow F- E B- D D BF AV McAfee VirusScan On-access scanning enabled Updated B EE - - CDE-A A-DD BA FAD FW Sygate Very slow computer, detected mal-ware on other computer on home network Personal Firewall enabled BE FE -CD B- - A - DB DDB Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunchsvchost exeC Very slow computer, detected mal-ware on other computer on home network WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcsC WINDOWS system svchost exe -k WudfServiceGroupsvchost exesvchost exeC WINDOWS system brss a exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exesvchost exeC Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exeC PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exeC Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exesvchost exeC Program Files Belkin Bluetooth Software bin btwdins Very slow computer, detected mal-ware on other computer on home network exeC WINDOWS system cisvc exeC WINDOWS system EloSrvce exeC PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exeC Program Files FolderSize FolderSizeSvc exeC PROGRA AVG AVG avgnsx exeC Program Files Common Files Intuit Update Service IntuitUpdateService exeC Program Files Java jre bin jqs exeC WINDOWS system nvsvc exeC Program Files Macrium Reflect ReflectService exeC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k imgsvcC Program Files Common Files Ulead Systems DVD ULCDRSvr exeC PROGRA AVG AVG avgemc exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exeC WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXEC WINDOWS system rundll exeC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exeC Program Files Visagesoft eXPert PDF vspdfprsrv exeC WINDOWS System svchost exe -k HTTPFilterC WINDOWS system rundll exeC Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exeC WINDOWS Samsung PanelMgr ssmmgr exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exeC Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync WCESCOMM EXEC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files Belkin Bluetooth Software BTTray exeC Program Files BUFFALO NASNAVI nassche exeC Program Files iPod bin iPodService exeC WINDOWS system cidaemon exeC WINDOWS system cidaemon exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC WINDOWS system taskmgr exeC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC Program Files AVG AVG avgui exeC Documents and Settings Michael Harris Desktop dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www google com uSearch Page hxxp www google comuDefault Page URL hxxp www dellnet comuSearch Bar hxxp www google com ieuSearchMigratedDefaultURL hxxp www google com search q searchTerms amp sourceid ie amp rls com microsoft en-US amp ie utf amp oe utf uInternet Connection Wizard ShellNext iexploreuInternet Settings ProxyServer http localhost uSearchAssistant hxxp www google com ieuSearchURL Default hxxp www google com search q smSearchAssistant hxxp www google com ieuURLSearchHooks H - No FileuURLSearchHooks H - No FileuURLSearchHooks AVG Security Toolbar BHO a bc a - f - -aa - d c - c program files avg avg toolbar IEToolbar dllmURLSearchHooks AVG Security Toolbar BHO a bc a - f - -aa - d c - c program files avg avg toolbar IEToolbar dllBHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper e f-c d - d -b d- b d be b - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelper dllBHO AVG Safe Search ca f - f e- b -a e- e e c c - c program files avg avg avgssie dllBHO SSVHelper Class bb-d f - c-b eb-d daf d d - c program files java jre bin ssv dllBHO E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - No FileBHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper d - c - abf- ecc- c - c program files common files microsoft shared windows live WindowsLiveLogin dllBHO AVG Security Toolbar BHO a bc a - f - ... Read more

A:Very slow computer, detected mal-ware on other computer on home network

Hello , And to the Bleeping Computer Malware Removal Forum. My name is Elise and I'll be glad to help you with your computer problems.I will be working on your malware issues, this may or may not solve other issues you may have with your machine.Please note that whatever repairs we make, are for fixing your computer problems only and by no means should be used on another computer.The cleaning process is not instant. Logs can take some time to research, so please be patient with me. I know that you need your computer working as quickly as possible, and I will work hard to help see that happen. Please reply using the Add/Reply button in the lower right hand corner of your screen. Do not start a new topic. The logs that you post should be pasted directly into the reply. Only attach them if requested or if they do not fit into the post.Unfortunately, if I do not hear back from you within 5 days, I will be forced to close your topic. If you still need help after I have closed your topic, send me or a moderator a personal message with the address of the thread or feel free to create a new one.You may want to keep the link to this topic in your favorites. Alternatively, you can click the button at the top bar of this topic and Track this Topic, where you can choose email notifications. The topics you are tracking are shown here.-----------------------------------------------------------If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.If you have already posted a log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Please download OTL from one of the following mirrors:This is THE MirrorSave it to your desktop.Double click on the icon on your desktop.Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.Push the button.Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply here:OTListIt.txt Will be openedExtra.txt Will be minimizedPlease download GMER from one of the following locations and save it to your desktop:Main MirrorThis version will download a randomly named file (Recommended)Zipped MirrorThis version will download a zip file you will need to extract first. If you use this mirror, please extract the zip file to your desktop.Disconnect from the Internet and close all running programs.Temporarily disable any real-time active protection so your security programs will not conflict with gmer's driver.Double-click on the randomly named GMER file (i.e. n7gmo46c.exe) and allow the gmer.sys driver to load if asked.Note: If you downloaded the zipped version, extract the file to its own folder such as C:\gmer and then double-click on gmer.exe.GMER will open to the Rootkit/Malware tab and perform an automatic quick scan when first run. (do not use the computer while the scan is in progress)If you receive a WARNING!!! about rootkit activity and are asked to fully scan your system...click NO.Now click the Scan button. If you see a rootkit warning window, click OK.When the scan is finished, click the Save... button to save the scan results to your Desktop. Save the file as gmer.log.Click the Copy button and paste the results into your next reply.Exit GMER and re-enable all active protection when done.-- If you encounter any problems, try running GMER in Safe Mode.-------------------------------------------------------------In the meantime please, do NOT install any new programs or update anything unless told to do so while we are fixing your problemIf you still need help, please include the following in your next replyA detailed description of your problemsA new OTL log (don't ... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/334842/very-slow-computer-detected-mal-ware-on-other-computer-on-home-network/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello,

I have to computers on my home network. One laptop (dell) and one PC (custom build). I have XP home with SP2 and AVG 7.1 antivirus on both. I have run the network setup on both computers several times to no avail. They are connected through a linksys cable router.

The internet works fine on both and i can ping the computers from the other without a problem. When i try to connect via run->\\12.345.67.8 i get an error saying path not found. They are on the same workgroup, and windows firewall is off on both comuters

help please. I recently formated by PC and put all my music on the laptop and i want it back on the PC

Thanks

A:Cannot see network Computer on home network

ive got a d-link router that does the same thing. if you've got a crossover network cable, i suggest just connecting the two computers directly. gave up on home networking a while ago. good luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-see-network-computer-on-home-network.52336/
Relevancy 51.17%

I am trying to help a friend and don t have any particular knowledge with wired home networks I use WiFi myself and have no problems He uses Verizon DSL with a home wired network and has lost the ability to get his computer Network 2nd Home wife s computer back on the network Here is his email Any help Home Network 2nd computer would be appreciated we have verizon dsl comes through a phone line not dial up to a modem then to a router two lines from the router go to the downstairs and upstairs computers pretty simple one line in two lines out like a sewer pipe the one going upstairs goes thru built into the house jacks I lost the Internet capability several months ago wife s upstairs computer did too I called verizon and got mine back after getting a new icon called verizon online dsl wife s upstairs computer couldn t get on this has been like this for months - she has used the master for the Internet I finally called verizon to get the same for her as mine we spent an hour trying to get a signal to hers to no avail went thru the usual drills her computer simply was not receiving from the router thru the jacks today I bought a new jack connection for upstairs hooked it up same problem nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

Here is my setup Modem - gt Router - gt computers Computer Connected via Wire Windows Ultimate -bit Computer Connected via Wire Windows Ultimate -bit Computer Connected Wirelessly Windows Ultimate -bit This is where it gets horrendously annoying Computer sees Computer and just fine Can browse the folders they have shared etc Computer sees Computer and just fine Can browse the folders they have shared etc Computer sees Computer just fine Computer seems to be somewhat aware of Computer it sees it as a media device for viewing pictures video whatever but it does not see it under the Computer list in Network In other words it can't navigate to it and browse its folders I've messed with everything on Computer I could possibly think of There was never at any point an option to select who had access to what specifically I simply told it to give full permissions to quot EVERYONE quot which I Can't computer see Network Home on would assume is everyone on the network Firewall is off on all three computers Sharing and discovery is on on all three computers File and Printer sharing is on on all three computers Public folder sharing is on on all three computers It can't be a quot -bit and -bit can't talk quot issue since Computer sees Can't see computer on Home Network and is seen by Computer just fine It can't be a quot wireless and wired can't talk quot issue since Computer sees and is seen by Computer just fine At my wits end and hoping there is a simple solution

A:Can't see computer on Home Network

Do all three computers have the same security software installed on them?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/171468-cant-see-computer-home-network.html
Relevancy 51.17%

My husband and I have a home network set up with two laptops. His is a Dell Inspiron 8100 and mine is a Dell Inspiron XPS. I run Windows XP Pro and his runs Windows XP Home.
Router is a Lynksys WRT400N Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Router
Modem is a Motorola SB6120 SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 eXtreme Broadband Cable Modem

We upgraded our modem & router a few months ago and haven't been able to get the 8100 to see the XPS, however the XPS can see the 8100. Before the upgrade both computers could communicate just fine and we were able to get into each others "My Documents" folders. I'm sure it's probably something simple, but have no idea how to fix this. We need to get it resolved quickly because we store all of our college documents on my computer, and my husband needs to be able to access them. Classes start on Tuesday! HELP!

Relevancy 50.74%

Hello I am trying to network computers A Win Vista and a Mac Fun stuff I know this is Win forum but I thought I'd ask The Vista machine keeps on dropping off the network I am able to access it for Computer Dropping on off Home Keeps Network a few hours at a time but then it drops off Computer Keeps on Dropping off Home Network randomly Here are some observations -When I try to access a mapped drive it says quot The Local Device Name is Already in Use quot -When I look at the network map from the Win machine it says that the quot discovered device Vista machine cannot be placed on the map quot -When I look at the network from the Win machine the Vista machine is listed but says the path is not found -I have no problem connecting to the internet from the Vista machine -I cannot view the network map from the Vista machine-- it says quot cannot start mapping on the adapter quot I am trying to figure out how to ping the thing But I am not sure how to do that other than that Im stumped Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Computer Keeps on Dropping off Home Network

Hello justiciero,

Try out this tutorial: Internet Troubleshooting Guide - created by Dinesh

You might try repairing the computer with: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/66...c-command.html and http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/88...all-vista.html, both if they work, or just the first one if the latter doesn't.

Credit:
Last two tutorials created by Brink

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/225502-computer-keeps-dropping-off-home-network.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hey guys i have a really frustrating problem I'm setting up a home network My main computer called ARES network home ping to computer Cannot on new runs windows and has a workgroup called WORKGROUP and shares a folder called SHARED Another XP computer at home Cannot ping to new computer on home network can see ARES and its shared folder - Cannot ping to new computer on home network SHARED I have a DELL GX called LIVING ROOM and have been having a a lot of trouble trying to get it connected to the workgroup So I decided to format and reinstall windows XP on LIVING ROOM After I installed drivers and a wireless card on LIVING ROOM i tried to ping to it from ARES - no dice I can ping from LIVING ROOM to ARES but not the other way around Ping says - Destination host unreachable There's no firewall no antivirus - its a fresh install of XP and connect over a wireless The PC is an old enterprise system - the BIOS could be changed Could anything in the BIOS lock down home networking Please help I'm gonna punch something soon

A:Cannot ping to new computer on home network

UPDATE:

I have found now it is an issue with the wireless card - Dlink DWL-G510

When we connect over ethernet we can connect to the workgroup. But when we pull out the ethernet and connect over wireless - its cannot find the PC's.

What options should we check?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-ping-to-new-computer-on-home-network-664199.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I have two computers connected to the Internet through a router. For two years I had no problem accessing files from one pc to the other. Two weeks ago I noticed that PC2 could not access PC1 anymore, the error said something about the resource being unavailable or something like that. I did not mind it much because I mainly use it for storage and I could still access PC2's content from PC1. Then a couple of days ago I tried to look into the problem to see if I could fix it. I ran the network wizard on PC1. Now PC2 doesn't see PC1 at all, and when I try to access the workgroup on PC1 it says it's not accessible or I might not have rights to use this network resource.

Both computers have XP Home Edition with SP2 installed on them.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Relevancy 50.74%

I have been having this issue on and off for a while now. We have 2 windows 7 computers. Network discovery is on and password protection is off. The folders necessary are shared, but when I try to connect to the computer on the network it asks me for a unsername and password. however, if the other computer tries to connect to mine, they get in no problem. We've tried a homegroup and I can't see any of the files in the folders... EXTREMELY FRUSTRATED. I have read and read on the forums and tried everything I could...Can anyone help?

A:Cannot Connect to another home computer on the network

You should go through the Homegroup walkthrough in the link below. Be sure and check the time/date settings on both machines, just about any A/V software or third party firewall can also cause problems like you are seeing.

Ultimate Troubleshooting Guide for Windows 7 HomeGroup Connection Issues

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/232312-cannot-connect-another-home-computer-network.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a Dell Studio laptop running Windows home Recently my computer has only been connecting to my home network but not to any other network ipconfig Windows IP Computer will connect home only to network Configuration Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link-local IPv Computer will only connect to home network Address fe f d f fe b fd IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap D CF AC- E - D -B -EBFA C A Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix IPv Address e c b b b e a Link-local IPv Address fe c b b b e a Default Gateway Tunnel adapter isatap B CD-C - DD-B - A C C E A Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix nbsp

Relevancy 50.74%

Tech Support Guy sick. Home computer network System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - K CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX Ti Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC P Z -V LK Antivirus PC Cleaner Pro Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Disabled Brand new Comcast install - Internet and telephone Two computers on home network One speed tests at mbs and at the computer end of the ethernet Home network computer sick. cable unplugged the other does too Plug in the ethernet cable and the other reduces to mbs on speed test On the Xfinity test site it shows two values IPv is the mbs but IPv is the mbs it s supposed to be The comcast guy says problem s in the computer and I think he s correct Home network computer sick. My network adapter is RealTek PCIe GBE An interesting Home network computer sick. sidenote Both computers do an actual download at about mbs - nowhere near the on the speedtest nbsp

A:Home network computer sick.

First off, PC cleaner Pro isnt an antivirus, its simply a menace if you got it from a trusted source such as download.com/cnet, and if it actually does anything it claims to, even the legit program will screw up your computer. If yours is claiming its an antivirus, it isnt. IT IS a virus. PC Cleaner is the name of a Misleading Application (rogue software) designed to display false information, such as claiming your system is infected with malicious threats or other system errors. Misleading applications may also perform annoying actions or inconvenience the user in order to coerce them into purchasing software to remove the nonexistent threats or errors reported

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-computer-sick.1131700/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hey guys
how r u all ?
That's my first post , my first request here
The request is how to make a Synchronization for two computers
a PC and LapTop
Both of them is running windows 7 home premium x64

example for what I want :
I am a web programmer , I am at the office , I am working on the PC
there is a project that I have made from lots of files
I have got this files , I want the next time the two computers connected together
They Synchronize their files that I choose
They are connected by a home network
that's all
Waiting for any help

A:how to sync two computer by a home network !?

I recently started using Live Mesh Sync 2011 from Microsoft. It's free, and gives me 5 GB of storage space to sync between any number of computers, and 25 GB of free storage online overall.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/129259-how-sync-two-computer-home-network.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi Everyone,

First time on here and really not that great with a pc.

I was looking at my network and I see a computer other then mine that I dont know who it is. It also has a different Ip address. When i run a whois search it come up with a place in Marina Del Ray, CA (I live on the other side of the country) A company called IANA. My virus protection isnt giving me the option of removing it. I have a cable modem and a Linksys wireless router

Any help would be great

A:Unknown computer on home network

What were you using to "look at your network"? Do you have a router? is it wireless?

Internet Assigned Numbers Authority = IANA

It is a legitimate company and you shouldn't worry about seeing it on your network.

You can read more about them here:
http://www.iana.org/abuse/

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/unknown-computer-on-home-network-320199.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I am trying to set up a home network that was previoulsy working fine until I added a new computer to it. Now it says I cannot access one computer becasue I dont have access rights. I am listed as administrator on every computer. Sometimes I can see one computer but never can I see all three. I have three computers all using XP and a Belkin Wireless router. 2 are wired and the third which is rarely used can go wireless as well. It is the new desktop that is casuing the problems. Does anyone have a clue why I am not allowed to set this network up and access my own computer?

Relevancy 50.74%

My mom and I have 4 computers at home. A Dell desktop with win7 runs as the main. She has a dell laptop with win7 that is hooked up to the home network. I have a sony with xp that is hooked up to the network. also have a hand built desktop with xp and i can't get it to connect to the network.
That computer has a VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter.
How do I get this thing to recognize the network so i use the internet?

Thanx!
Nana PooCH

A:Adding another computer to home network

Humm::Not much to go on here
So,let's get some basics.
Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
Make and exact model and hardware version of any other network equipment, like a repeater, a booster, hi-gain antenna, etc.
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.
The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

&#8226; Have you tried to do a system restore to before the problem occurred?
&#8226; If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
&#8226; For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
&#8226; For wireless laptops, have you made SURE the wireless switch is on?
&#8226; For wired connection issues, have you booted in Safe Mode with Networking to see if that changes the symptoms?
&#8226; Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
&#8226; If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands on separate lines, following each one with the Enter key:

PING 74.125.45.100

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Give us as much info as you can>Ipconfig /all and pings are very important info for us.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-another-computer-to-home-network.924816/
Relevancy 50.74%

I ve added a new computer to my home network After successfully setting home see on Can't network Solved: computer up other computers on the same network over the past few years and having no problems Solved: Can't see computer on home network with file sharing etc I m finding myself totally lost with this problem The new computer has found the wireless network and is able to get onto the internet without any problem From the new computer I am able to see and share files with other computers on the network Now here is the first interesting point I can only see and share files with another computer on the network AFTER I first PING that other computers IP address If I go to My Network Places and search for other computers by name they are not found But if I open the command window and PING the other computer I get a good return Then I can go back into My Network Places and find the other computer and share files without a problem Only the new computer requires this PING activity before finding other computers If I go to any of the other computers on the network and PING the new computer IP address it will OCCASIONALLY give me a good return but most often just times out And I am NEVER able to find the new computer from My Network Places search It s there but I just can t see it The new computer has Zone Alarm firewall installed I ve tried shutting down Zone Alarm but that makes no difference Here is the second interesting point All of the computers on the network run Zone Alarm Any time I turn Zone Alarm off for any reason I always get a pop up message telling me that my firewall is off and to click the message to correct the problem which is Microsoft trying to get me to turn on the Windows default firewall On the new computer when I turn off Zone Alarm I do not get that message as if there is still a firewall running If a firewall were running then that would explain perhaps why I can t see the new computer from others on the network but I have looked at the Windows firewall and it is OFF The computer came with a McAfee trial but that has been removed from the computer Here is the third third interesting point On the new computer from Interenet Explorer most web pages open just fine But a few will open very briefly and then jump to a search window that tells me it was unable to find the URL that I was trying to open This is not exactly the behavior you will see with most pop-up blockers which will just not open the page Here the page opens briefly just long enough to know it did open before being redirected Home page and most others have no problem I have turned off pop-up blocking in Zone Alarm Google and IE Tools but the problem continues This also seems to imply that there might be some other process or program running in the background but I don t find it So I m at a total loss here I m sure the behavior of requiring a PING and no warning message when Zone Alarm is turned off are clues to what may be happening but I am not finding the problem If anyone has an idea what might be going on I would really appreciate some help Thanks Jim nbsp

Relevancy 50.74%

Hi All,

I have a problem with a computer on my home network in a Workgroup. I can make the computer appear using the search function or using the "View Workgroup Computers" under Network Tasks, but when I click on it to try to see the shares, i get an error message:

\\Laptop is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the amdinistrator of the Network.....

Simple File Sharing has been turned on.
All computers are using Windows XP. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
George

A:Can't access computer on home network

Did you run network setup wizard for both computers? If not, then that should be your first step.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-access-computer-on-home-network.54753/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello I recently set up a home network for my computers at home I have two desktops both running XP and one laptop running Vista After I had set up my network I had a little problem that my main desktop the one where i ran the network wizard and my laptop were able to access each on computer I my couldn't a home network!! other without any problem Since I set a password for them both I could type in the account user name and password when i first tried I couldn't a computer on my home network!! to access each other on the network However my another desktop PC which is not password-set can access the other two password-set pcs while those two pcs could not access PC When i tried to access PC from either laptop or main desktop it always asked me for user name and password but it s actually not password-set I had tried all possible username amp password i frequently use and got no help Does anyone know how to solve my problem I highly appreciate it nbsp

Relevancy 50.74%

I have 2 computers using Win XP. I use a KVM switch. I have an AT&T dsl router connection using a single computer. If I want to share a printer with my other computer I could set up a Home Net work. Would that cause my first computer to slow down? Would
if cause my computer to hang up or slow down if I do not turn the second network
computer on? I don't allways have them on at the same time.
How do I set up a home network to avoid problems?

Thank you,

A:Will a home network slow my computer down?

You get an inexpensive Ethernet print server to allow the printer to be independent of either machine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-a-home-network-slow-my-computer-down.716610/
Relevancy 50.74%

hi there i have a vista based pc and laptop, with a wireless network router netgear wpn24. my laptop is connected wirelessly and cpu is wired to router, my problem is a few days ago i lost the ability to access my shared files on the pc. when i try, the id password window pops up and i never had a password or user id set up before.. i have always had that problem with the pc being able to acess the laptop but never the other way around... plz help i have turned firewall off on both pc and laptop and that didnt help.. i can acess the internet through the router with both computers just not eachother

A:Trying to access my other computer on my home network

Turn off Password protected sharing first.

Click on
Start
Control Panel
Network & Internet
Network & Sharing Center
Password Protected Sharing...Switch to off!

Good luck hope this solves your problem...

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/205087-trying-access-my-other-computer-my-home-network.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I now have my windows Vista Dektop computer fixed to the point where the firewall is see computer network Vista Can't on home allowing it to see the other computers on my home network I had two missing registry files as a result of a nasty virus I contracted some months ago The problem is that neither of the other computers -- a mac running Can't see Vista computer on home network OS X Can't see Vista computer on home network and a windows laptop running Windows -- can see the Vista computer although they can see each other For example on the laptop when I click on Network all I see is the Mac I have checked all the settings I can think of and haven't been able to resolve the issue The Vista computer is running Windows Firewall and Microsoft Essentials File and printer sharing are allowed and there is a firewall exception to allow file and printer sharing The homegroup network is set up as Private with no password required The Windows laptop is unfortunately running Norton since it came preloaded on the computer But even when I turn off the Norton firewall it still can't see the Vista computer Help

A:Can't see Vista computer on home network

Are all systems part of the same workgroup?

Check the settings, please .

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/503281/cant-see-vista-computer-on-home-network/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi everyone
I am looking at setting up a small network in my home so my husband and I can have internet access in oru respective home offices. The offices are both on the same floor. We have 2 desktop computers running on Windows XP Pro.
I have absolutely no idea where to start with this, so I need all the help and information I can get.
Much appreciated.

Relevancy 50.74%

hello everyone, I have 3 computers, two of them got successfully connected in a network. except for my laptop. i found that if a change the laptops default gateway to the default gateway of the other two computers, the laptop will be connected but it won't have internet because the DHCP is disable. if i make win7 fix it, it will change the default gateway to a different IP, and back square one with no network connection to the other two computers any help help please!!!

A:home network fail to one computer

Quote: Originally Posted by Apo

hello everyone, I have 3 computers, two of them got successfully connected in a network. except for my laptop. i found that if a change the laptops default gateway to the default gateway of the other two computers, the laptop will be connected but it won't have internet because the DHCP is disable. if i make win7 fix it, it will change the default gateway to a different IP, and back square one with no network connection to the other two computers any help help please!!!

Please give us some info abt the network setup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/116909-home-network-fail-one-computer.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a new HP TOUCHSMART computer with VISTA. It will not read my home network. The only computer that it sees is my XBOX 360. Any suggestions?

Relevancy 50.74%

My apologies for network? computer 98 to Add home Windows coming to you all with such stupid questions but I ve had such great results with you guys that I keep coming back Add Windows 98 computer to home network? for more Ask me anything about software but when it comes to hardware and networking Add Windows 98 computer to home network? I am as naive as they come I have a Add Windows 98 computer to home network? laptop with Windows Vista wireless and a desktop with Windows XP Home Edition networked using a Linksys Wireless G broadboand router and Comcast modem for the internet connection sorry if my terminology is in error but you experts will know exactly what I mean I also have an old Windows computer that has just been successfully reformatted thanks to a moderator on one of the forum boards and wonder if I can network this computer as well Of course just plugging a phone line into the router doesn t work don t roll your eyes -- I told you I m a software gal so I wonder if someone can tell me if it s even possible All I want to do from the Windows computer is to be able to use the internet connection -- don t need to share files or anything Can you help nbsp

A:Add Windows 98 computer to home network?

sure it is possible if it has a working network card. Does it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/add-windows-98-computer-to-home-network.733084/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hello guys

My situation, is that i have an XP and a Vista computer on a home network.
Can anybody tell me how to add a Third computer running windows 7.

A friend of mine linked them up a while ago, but this time i will print any instructions out for future freference.
I could go messing around, and have seen various ways of going about this, as people tell you to do different things, it probably all works the same in the end, but i would like just to follow some instructions and any advice that may be given......

So thats 2 computers already networked thats XP and Vista and just like to know How to network windows 7 with these two........

Windows 7 / home premium / 32 bit

Thanks for any replys in advance....

A:Adding a computer to a Home network

Carl606,
I would like to help, but I need to know a few more things about how your network is setup. You said "XP and a Vista computer on a home network", how do you have this setup? Are you using a router/switch? Did you setup Windows Networking and/or HomeGroups between the two machines? Are both machines in the same room and wired to the network or wireless?

If you already have a network, then just add the Windows 7 to the same "Workgroup" and you should be able to at least see the other machines from there.

The tricky part is sharing and then connecting to the other machines, especially connecting to the W7 box from XP.

If you can reply with some more info, I believe you will get an answer quickly.

cibertek
The Cibertek Blog

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/64606-adding-computer-home-network.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi everyone - I bought a new Dell computer and i can t get it to recognize my home network peer to peer The other computers on the network can recognize the new computer and the new computer can get online thru the router that all computers are connected to when i try to browse the network from the new computer i get the following message network name is not accessible you might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you home Can't Computer Add Solved: network to New have access permissions No more connections can be made to this remote computer at this time because there are already as many connections as the computer can acceptClick to expand It s just a small home office with computers total wireless via CAT I turned off all firewalls actually uninstalled Norton Internet Security because i don t like it and Solved: Can't Add New Computer to home network will use other software eventually I have only installed MS Office so far but i had the problem before and after that installation That s all i ve done with the computer - no games no web surfing - just a new computer that s nice and clean Definately a network setup Solved: Can't Add New Computer to home network problem Thanks in advance for any help Tom nbsp

Relevancy 50.74%

Hi all,

I am currently trying to set up an old machine on Windows XP as a wireless network machine for my house. The purpose of this machine is to always be on and to stream music and videos to our laptop and dvd/media player.

The area I am struggling with is getting the laptop to talk to the network machine. The laptop is running Windows 7 and has detected the network machine, however, when I clicked on the icon to connect to it, it asked me for a user name and password.

I haven't set up a user name or password for the network on the network machine.

Any help would be greatfully received.
Mike

Relevancy 50.74%

Hi All Problem is the Vista Machine connecting to the shared HPG xi AIO on the network I am working on installing a Vista Home Premium Gateway PC on an existing network that consists of a Solved: Printer Vista Home Network Network Home Issues, XP machine two XP home PC s and an XP home laptop With the exception of the laptop all PC s are Solved: Vista Home Network Printer Issues, XP Home Network connected via ethernet cabling to a Linksys WRT G sharing cable internet access One of the XP home machines and the are connected to a Dlink switch which is wired to the Linksys router This XP home machine has the HP connected locally and shared All PC s have printer and file sharing enabled All PC s are in the same workgroup all PC s can see and share files bidirectionally Including the Vista machine All PC s with the exception of the Vista machine can connect and print to the HP When you try to connect the Vista to the HP and it doesn t matter how using Network and connect using Printers to add a printer using add a Printer to set up a new network printer and entering the path whatever the error message is quot Access is Denied quot before you can even install the drivers I used my IBM laptop running XP Pro to serve the HP via the USB connection same as how the XP Home PC is doing it the Vista can connect and print no problem so it would seem there is an issue with the access rights in the XP Home PC sharing the HP I also tested the Vista PC on another network that runs XP Pro and it connected and printed with NO issues I tried using the machine at the same location but connected to the same switch to serve the HP I get the same result as with the XP Home serving it with the exception of the error message It says cannot complete connection error some hex number Is there a way to configure the access right s to XP Home for the Vista to connect to the HP Or am I barking up the wrong tree Help please nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

Two computers on the home network Dell computer access home Cannot on network Vista desktop PJ wired to a Belkin router ThinkPad laptop ThinkPad connected wirelessly The desktop PJ can see the laptop ThinkPad and access it s shares On the laptop the desktop name PJ shows up under NETWORK but clicking on the computer name shows quot Windows cannot access PJ quot I have checked the network settings on PJ and the workgroup name and computername are correct The two shared folders on PJ have quot Everyone quot as quot Co-owner quot The desktop PJ is a Dell Inspiron S The router is a Belkin Wireless G Router Model No F D - Internet is via ADSL connection Any help as to why PJ is not accessible would be much appreciated MiniToolBox by Farbar Version - - Ran by Paul administrator on - - at Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack X Boot Mode Normal IE Proxy Settings Proxy is not enabled No Proxy Server is set Hosts content Cannot access Vista computer on home network localhost IP Configuration Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Local Area Connection Connected ---------------------------------- IPv Configuration ---------------------------------- pushd interface ipv reset set global popd End of IPv configuration Windows IP Configuration Host Name pj Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List Belkin Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Belkin Description Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Physical Address - -E - E- F-D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address Cannot access Vista computer on home network fe c d Cannot access Vista computer on home network cb d Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Saturday July PM Lease Expires Tuesday August PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -CC- - C- - -E - E- F-D DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Belkin Description isatap Belkin Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe efe Preferred Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address e e f fdf Preferred Link-local IPv Address fe e f fdf Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Server resolver opendns com Address Name google com Belkin Address Pinging google com with bytes of data Reply from bytes time ms TTL Reply from bytes time ms TTL Ping statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost loss Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds Minimum ms Maximum ms Average ms Server resolver opendns com Address Name yahoo com Belkin Address Pinging yahoo com with bytes of data Reply from bytes time ms TTL Reply from bytes time ms TTL Ping statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost loss Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds Minimum ms Maximum ms Average ms Server resolver opendns com Address Name bleepingcomputer com Belkin Address Pinging bleepingcomputer com with bytes of data Request timed out Request timed out Ping statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost loss Pinging with bytes of data Reply from bytes time lt ms TTL Reply from bytes time lt ms TTL Ping statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost loss Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds Minimum ms Maximum ms Average ms Interface List e e f d Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Software Loopback Interface e isatap Belkin e Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface IPv Route Table Active Routes Network Destination Netmask Gateway Interface Metric On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link On-link Persistent Routes None IPv Route Table Active Routes If Metric Network Destination Gateway On-link On-link On-link e e f fdf On-link fe On-link fe On-link ... Read more

A:Cannot access Vista computer on home network

My first thought would be the firewall on the Windows Vista pc is blocking access to it. To turn it off, see this link.I would do this as a test. If it works, turn the firewall back on and we will find exactly which policy/policies are blocking access. If it still doesn't work, we'll look elsewhere.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/460606/cannot-access-vista-computer-on-home-network/
Relevancy 50.31%

Ok I have two PCs on my network, both have Windows Vista Home 32bit

When I try to open or explore the other PC from either PC it prompts for a password and log on. We did not set up a password or log on for either PC. How do we go about disabling or bypassing this.

Thank you in advance

RDGM

A:Solved: Connecting to a Computer on a home network

Hey all I figured it out, we needed to make passwords thru the acct. management and then log on to one another's PC with the credentials of the PC we want to conenct to.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-connecting-to-a-computer-on-a-home-network.797667/
Relevancy 50.31%

Any help on cannot Solved: home a computer New network join the following problem would be greatly Solved: New computer cannot join a home network appreciated I have been to http www onecomputerguy com networking Solved: New computer cannot join a home network trouble htm but have not found a solution there I have three computers on a home network and added a fourth All are connected to a simple hub The first three communicate without problem The fourth new one does not Comp XP Home Comp XP Pro Comp Win SE Comp XP Home Same Workgroup name for all computers Same username and password for all computers I have turned off XP s firewall I have tried using similar IP schemes e g x and also tried setting as automatic The first three computers can successfully ping one another I cannot ping other computers IP address or name from The other computers on the network cannot ping Comp can successfully ping the loopback address and its own name I have switched patch cables and switched input jacks at the hub No change in results At this point I have run out of ideas short of replacing the NIC in computer Is there anything else to try before I try that Computer is a new Dell computer that came with the NIC nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

Hello today I discovered a problem with my computer and my home network I have computers networked through my Belkin F d - Wireless G Plus router using a Motorolla Surfboard modem In the past I have had no problem sharing folders and whatnot between the but today when I tried sharing a folder with this computer I was unable to access my MSHOME network The other computers are able to interact with eachother just fine and my computer is even listed in their One access home to computer unable network. workgroup When I try to access the workgroup from the non functional computer I get a message saying quot Mshome is not accessible quot Although I am still able to access the internet on this computer it is a little annoying not being a part of my network Any help or tips would be appreciated Edit Let me just add that in my System menu under the Computer Name tab is says I am a part of the MSHOME network nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

Just reinstalled Win XP on one of my home network computers. I now am denied access to my computer running Win 7, although it has access to the internet connections and can access other network computers. All the other computers (running WinXP) on the network including the Win 7 computer can access the new installed computer.

What could be causing denial of access permission on the new install computer?

Relevancy 50.31%

I took my old desktop which had a direct connect to a DSL modem and setup it up for as the family computer with wireless access it has internet access just fine I changed its computer-name from Shawn under System Advanced settings to quot family quot so that I could use the same name Shawn for my new desktop which connects via ethernet to the DSL wireless modem I can see the old desktop from the new desktop under network in explorer on the new desktop So i have quot Shawn quot new and quot Shawn-PC quot old but I cannot log in via wireless to the or computer: network home log Cannot into password wrong name old computer The old has the new Cannot log into home network computer: name or password wrong login name quot family quot but I understand the network only goes by the original computer name But quot Shawn quot or quot Shawn-PC quot does not get me in I never changed the password on the old desktop but I did turn it off But even using the old password does not work How can I get access to the shared files on the old shawn-renamed-family computer from my new desktop Thanks win SP x

A:Cannot log into home network computer: name or password wrong

To access the machine using the user account 'Family' you would enter the following at that prompt:

SHAWN-PC\Family

Then enter the password for that account on the old machine.

Tip
It is advised to use an Administrator account when providing credentials. For example Family should be a system Administrator

My apologies if I misinterpreted your problem. You could remove all authentication procedures by going to network and sharing centre > Change Advanced Sharing Settings and then turning off Password Protected Sharing

Hope This Helps,
Josh!

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/294788-cannot-log-into-home-network-computer-name-password-wrong.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I have desktops and laptop all running windows is running professional is running Home premium Laptop is running Home premium All are bit systems can access no files on and only user files on laptop can access all shared files and folders on and laptop Laptop can access all shared files and folders on and All computers have the same workgroup and home network name The date and time are set exactly the same on all three I have gone through all the normal steps I can think of File sharing is on discovery is on passwords are off When I try to open a folder on from I get the message quot Windows cannot access folder name quot quot you do not have permission to access contact system administrator I get the same message when trying to open folders in laptop network sharing Home with folders computer. one not from computer I'm about ready to do a system recover on and start from scratch Any help will be appreciated

A:Home network not sharing folders with one computer.

I had the same problem, kept trying to figure out why. 24 hours later it just worked. Someone with more knowledge might know the answer, for me it just needed time.

Check this too:

HomeGroup uses IPv6 for multicast discovery. If you get error code 0x80632094 when you try and enter a valid password, then check that the IPv6 protocol is checked in the NIC properties. Network and Sharing Center, Change adapter connections, right-click and examine Properties for IPv6. You could also try this registry method:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip6\Parameters\

Add a DWORD, DisabledComponents with a value 0xffffffff, this disables all IPv6 components. Restart the computer now edit 0xffffffff to 0. This enables IPv6.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/281114-home-network-not-sharing-folders-one-computer.html
Relevancy 50.31%

We have just gotten 2 new dell computers, both running winxp home. Both dell computer can see each other on the network. However I also have a Nec Laptop runing win 2000 pro, but the dells cant see the Nec or vice versa. I got a D Link wireless router and another router. All can connect to the internet. Help apeciated.

Thanks
Danilo

Relevancy 50.31%

I m trying to make a simple the simplest network connection between two pcs Both are running XP Professional The first machine will refer to as Family has Service Pack installed and is configured for four user accounts all set home 2-computer simple with Problem network to administrator none requiring passwords to log on The second machine will refer to as New is pretty much brand new and has no service packs or updates Problem with simple 2-computer home network of any kind It seems to have a single user account which doesn t require a password I m still not sure whether or not it actually has user accounts because there s no log-on screen I used a yellow ethernet cable to connect the two computers and then followed the Network Setup Wizard first on the Family computer and then on the New one Now the Family computer can access edit shared folders on the New computer through My Network Places however the Family shared folder is not visible in the New computer s My Network Places and when I click View Workgroup Computers and double click the Family Computer icon I receive a message saying quot Family is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resouce Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have acces permissions Access is denied quot I have repeatedly confirmed that the share folder for the Family computer has the options quot Share this folder on the network quot and quot Allow network users to change my files quot ticked off in the Sharing tab of the Properties window but I still can t view the folder on the New computer Is there somewhere else on the Family computer that I may have inadvertantly restricted other computers from accessing it Would greatly appreciate help of any kind nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

I have a desktop and 2 laptops connected to a wireless router on my home network. I used to be able to get internet access on all 3 computers, but suddenly one day I can't get on the internet on my desktop. The 2 laptops have no problem getting on. I am at a total loss as to what to do. I am really good with computers, but networking is all new to me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pulling my hair out!!!

Thanks,
Bob

Relevancy 50.31%

There are two PCs and a printer in my home network. This morning, a new computer "TOM" appeared in my network, which I don't know anythig about and have no idea how added in my network. "Tom" disapeared from Network dialog box this afternoon. My computer is Window Vista Home Premium 32-bit with Kasperskey Internet Security.
I wonder if "TOM" viewed and copy all information in my C-drives...I am very worry. Please help!

Relevancy 50.31%

Do I need to turn on Network Access Protection for our home computers? Three computers are using the same cellular modem/router - Netgear MBR 1210. They are not networked to each other (which is how we want it). We use Windows 7 Bootcamp on an iMac.

A:Is Network Access Protection necessary on home computer?

No there is no need to, then again if the machines cannot 'talk' to each other it is a moot issue and besides it cannot really be enforced in a Workgroup or Homegroup, unless it is a built in feature of your router.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-network-access-protection-necessary-on-home-computer.1147038/
Relevancy 50.31%

I know it sounds weird and it's confusing the hell out of me Basically I have a desktop in my room with Windows on and my dad has an iMac in his office Now for some strange reason when my computer is turned on and when my dad boots his iMac I get the BSOD The weirdest part of this is that it ONLY happens when he boots its fine if his is on then I boot but as long as mine is on and his isn't I get the BSOD every time he turns it on We have done the whole shouting across the house to see if network is computer turned when on in home another my BSOD it is definitely only then and this is how it seems Now they are both connected to the router which is also in the office via an Ethernet cable this is the only way I can think BSOD when another computer is turned on in my home network that they are linked in any manner All I could think of was some setting or maybe a surge which travels to my desktop We are with Virgin if that makes any difference and I just got my desktop yesterday and it's brand new S Any help you can give would be much appreciated as it would be an improvement on any ideas we have at the moment Cheers Alex

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-when-another-computer-is-turned-on-in-my-home-network-645829.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I apologize for the wall of text in advance as I thought this would be the best way to solve my problem I booted it up and everything went smoothly I then proceeded to connect to my home network and enter in the correct network passcode Then it says quot The key or passphrase is incorrect Please try again quot I tried more times and nothing connect computer network. New won't to built home my I then tried to reset my router for seconds and nothing changed Then I decided to go to google to help me out and ended on my command prompt typing in stuff like New built computer won't connect to my home network. quot ipconfig all quot which gives me the information about my network I also tried to do quot netsh winsock reset catalog quot quot netsh int ipv reset New built computer won't connect to my home network. reset log quot and quot netsh int ipv reset reset log quot Then i restarted and nothing changed I had also noticed I did not have an IP address I thought if I manually connected to the network by adding in its name and passcode it would work But all I got was quot The settings saved on this computer for the network do not match the requirements of the network quot What should I do now to connect to the internet My drivers are already updated for the network card Any suggestions All the other computers on the network are completely fine I use comcast as my internet provider I ve been trying to find a solution literally all day The computer s drivers are pretty much up to date except for quot ethernet controller quot quot pci simple communications controller quot quot sm bus controller quot and quot universal serial bus usb controller quot I m not sure if those are causing the problem Please let me know Windows Home Premium bit System Model MS- nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

I recently had to re-install Win 7 Home Premium on my desktop computer. In the setup, it apparently chose to join "Network," which is not the name of the network it was on prior to the reinstall. My laptop is on that other network, which for this discussion I'll call "Something 4". I know I can change the name of the desktop computer's network to match that, but I believe that really has no effect on what network it is actually on. All of this matters because in the current configuration the laptop cannot attach to a virtual hard drive on the desktop computer. Both computers are on the same workgroup and home group. Any help will be very much appreciated.

A:Cannot get computer to join proper home network

You are correct, the network name on the local machine is irrelevant.

Where/what the network is connecting to is important. Is you system connected to the same access point as previously? If you have switched from wireless to wired or are using a mixture of network types, you will need to ensure the router is including both the wireless and wired networks on the home network.

Once you can ping the host from the client you can map a network drive. I usually turn off simple filesharing for this purpose.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/290804-cannot-get-computer-join-proper-home-network.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Can anyone help me network my two home computers?

One is connected to a wireless network through a router; the other is connected to the router via ethernet cable (its wireless adapter isn't working; that's a problem for another thread!)

The laptop's network has a different name from the wireless network. How can I get them on the same network without having to hardwire the first computer or buy a new wireless card for the second?

Both are running Windows 7. Should be easy but I'm stumped.

A:Home network: one wired computer, one wireless

Well, if you want both to eventually be hooked up wirelessly, then I'd suggest that we attempt to fix the other computer's "wireless issue" first. But if you don't want to do that, then here are the steps I'd suggest for now:

Open Network and Sharing Center by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, type network, and then click Network and Sharing Center.
Click Set up a new connection or network.
Click Set up a new network, and then click Next.
The wizard will walk you through creating a network name and a security key. If your router will support it, the wizard will default to Wi&#8209;Fi Protected Access (WPA or WPA2) security. We recommend that you use WPA2, if possible, because it offers better security than WPA or Wired Equivalent Privacy (WEP) security. With WPA2 or WPA you can also use a passphrase, so you don&#8217;t have to remember a cryptic sequence of letters and numbers.

To connect your laptop or desktop computer to your wireless network, follow these steps:
Open Connect to a Network by right-clicking the network icon ( or ) in the notification area.
In the list of networks, click the network that you want to connect to, and then click Connect.
Enter the security key. You can either type in the key or insert a USB flash drive that contains the security key into a USB port on the computer.
NOTE: YOU WILL HAVE TO DISCONNECT FROM YOUR CURRENT CONNECTION IN ORDER TO SET UP A NEW ONE. ONCE YOU'VE DONE THIS, THE SETUP SHOULD BE RELATIVELY STRAIGHT FORWARD.

If you have any questions or need more assistance in setting up a new wireless connection, let us know.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-one-wired-computer-one-wireless.928623/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi there I recently got my laptop fixed after it being out of commission for about a year it turns out there was just too much dust collecting in it and when I got home and tried to connect to my wifi network I didn t have internet not wifi Computer network home identify does access I received a message that said I had sucessfully connected to my network but it was only a local connection - no internet It also shows up as quot Unidentified Network quot This is peculiar to me because my boyfriend s laptop is able to connect to the internet wirelessly just fine and I Computer does not identify home wifi network am currently using the wifi on my iPhone I ran the ipconfig and several ping tests in cmd and used a wifi inspector Windows IP Configuration Host Name owner-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR b g WiFi Adapter Physical Address - E- C- D- - A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe fd c a e e Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Wednesday January AM Lease Expires Thursday January AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - E-F - -BF- - B- -EC- B- A DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description NVIDIA nForce Mbps Ethernet Physical Address - B- -EC- B- A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap A E B - F - B-B E - BE A B br F Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap A F C F- ECB- F - DCB- A D br C Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users Meow gt ping Pinging with bytes of data Reply from Destination host unreachable Reply from Destination host unreachable Reply from Destination host unreachable Reply from Destination host unreachable Ping statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost loss C Users Meow gt ping google com Ping request could not find host google com Please check the name and try again C Users Meow gt ping Pinging with bytes of data Reply from Destination host unreachable Reply from Destination host unreachable Reply from Destination host unreachable Reply from Destination host unreachable Ping statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost loss C Users Meow gt nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

Everyone here seems really knowledgeable so I m hoping that you can help me I have two computers that I connect to the internet through a Linksys BEFSX router The other day my cable modem went caput so we exchanged it for a new one I connected Home Solved: Connect Computer Does One Not Network- the new Solved: Home Network- One Computer Does Not Connect one to the router and one of my computers connected right away with no problem The other however repeatedly gave me a quot limited connection quot error I tried unplugging the cable modem and router and restarting the computer Still no connection so I tried to ipconfig release then ipconfig renew That didn t work so Solved: Home Network- One Computer Does Not Connect I assigned the trouble computer a static IP address hoping that it would solve the problem I no longer receive the quot limited connection quot error but I am still unable to connect to the internet I also tried pinging the other computer connected to my router with no success it simply timed out I ll include the results of Solved: Home Network- One Computer Does Not Connect my ipconfig below Windows IP Configuration Host Name LAPTOP Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Intel R PRO Wireless LAN B Mi ni PCI Adapter Physical Address - - - - - Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL C Fast Ethernet NIC Physical Address - - F- - A-E Dhcp Enabled No IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers The wireless card is currently disconnected we have been using the Realtek ethernet with no problem until I connected the new cable modem I probably just don t know what I m doing so I really appreciate everyone s help If I can provide any more information that might lead to a solution to this problem please let me know Thanks for your time nbsp

Relevancy 50.31%

My new computer (see specs below) is slower than all the otehr computers on the network. The longer i use it online the slower it becomes.

It is connected via LAN cable to a Linksys WAG300N. All drivers etc are up to date.

When i ping a selection of 10 well known sites the average latency is 250ms higher than the other 5 computers on the home network. this does not seam like alot but it takes pages 3-4 seconds extra to load downloads near impossible and to stream a video i need to wait almost an hour. I am an avid online gamer and latency issues are concurrent with these games as well.

Any help apprecated.

Specs:
Intel i7 920
ASUS Rampage II Extreme
6GB kingston RAM
Nvida GTX295
500GB Raptor
Sumo 5225 case
Vista Ultimate x64

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-computer-only-slow-comuter-on-home-network.843232/
Relevancy 50.31%

How can i find the IP address of a computer on a home network?

I have 2 computers and router.

i can find the overall IP address for my internet conection and the IP address of each of the computers from my router but is it possible to find the full IP address of one of those computers so that i could sat access it remotely from another location over the internet.

Relevancy 50.31%

Greetings network computer can to home a How my on I full get privileges I'm not very experienced in matters of networking I set up a wireless home How can I get full privileges to a computer on my home network network between two pcs both running windows The second pc is used by the family It has four accounts on it one for each user I would like to sync files from my work How can I get full privileges to a computer on my home network pc to my account on the family computer so that in the event my work pc fails I can use the family machine as a backup This is important as I run my business from home on my work pc I can access all files on both machines I can see my pc from the family system I can copy files to the c drive of the family machine as long as I don't try to copy to a folder in a user account But when I try to write files to my account on the machine I am denied access and informed that I don't have access rights I went to the c drive and shared it out to everyone on the network me As far as I can see I have the required privileges but there must be something more required to write to a password protected account If it's the passwork I don't know where to enter it from my work pc I've been futzing with this now for hours and got nowhere but here If anyone can help me out I'd be all sorts of pleased and grateful GL

A:How can I get full privileges to a computer on my home network

It's a big security risk to share an entire drive which is one of the reasons it's not easy to accomplish. You would be better off just sharing the User folder instead.

But if you insist on sharing the entire drive there is a way to do that also but you need to use the Security tab for that one.

Open My Computer -> right click Local Disk D,C which ever -> select Properties -> select Security tab -> click Edit button -> click Add button -> enter the name of the User you want to set Security permissions (it is the same user name you've set the sharing permissions for, ex.
Choosing Everyone will set the read-write permissions to every user which will attempt to connect to your shared drive) -> click OK -> select the desired permissions -> click OK -> wait while permissions are set -> and your Done.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/86662-how-can-i-get-full-privileges-computer-my-home-network.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Windows says Network Controller hasn't got a driver. When it tries to install it - fails.

Details: Driver updates aren't automatically installed when detected by Windows Update .

Below that shows computer name and version 6.1 amd64

I have contacted the seller and he said to go to the Gigabyte board which I did but cant see this and also have no idea how to install a driver. I also checked on the thread where all motherboard drivers are listed. Didn't see anything worded as a Network Controller driver.

Previously I always used Driver Genius Pro to install drivers but seller told me all of these type of programs for cleaning or registry or changing are dangerous. Thing is they do the job and install them never gave me a problem on my Dell PC which had only 512mb and told too old to update. Cheaper to buy new one.

Problem also is windows keeps trying to install it.

Help

A:New Computer 64 Bit W7 Home Premium - Network Controller Driver

Hi, Welcome to forums.

Go here ==> GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-H61M-USB3H (rev. 1.0)

Select your OS (Win 7 64 bit)

In the list, look for LAN

Under LAN, download the "Realtek LAN Driver" according to your area. You select APAC. It will be a .exe file. Run that file. If it asks to reboot the PC, do it. Once the PC is on again. Drivers will be installed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/321148-new-computer-64-bit-w7-home-premium-network-controller-driver.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi. I can't seem to connect to my wife's computer on our home network. We both have Vista laptops. I can access her media (through WMP and iTunes), and she can get to my computer no problem, but every time I click on her computer icon on the network, I get this error:

"\\(her computer name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network is not present or not started.

For more information, click Help."

Clicking Help doesn't seem to do anything.

Anyone feel like spending some time on this? It would be immensely appreciated.

Relevancy 49.45%

I recently brought my computer over to my friend s house for some network gaming and all was fine until i returned home and set up my computer in its usual place now my computer which is connected to our local wireless network via a Belkin mbps wireless desktop network card wont connect to the network My computer normally uses the Belkin Network Monitor Utility as its means of detecting local networks and thus far it manages to detect our local network but although ive created a profile with the correct information it doesnt let me Solved: home network. to Computer connect wont connect or i m able to connect and it Solved: Computer wont connect to home network. drops the network frequently and doesnt allow internet access Ive tried using Wireless Zero Configuration also and Windows detects the network and attempts to connect and then says quot Not Connected quot in the top corner and displays Solved: Computer wont connect to home network. the message quot You are now connected to this network quot which i find rather confusing In other attempts ive tried ipconfig to see if i could determine any problem from there but from what Solved: Computer wont connect to home network. i could see there wasnt anything wrong apart from the IP address as listed below Microsoft Windows XP Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings Owner gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name your-dmie v z Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Belkin Mbps Wireless Desktop Netwo rk Card Physical Address - -BD- E-E - Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask IP Address fe bdff fe e e Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Realtek RTL Family PCI Fast Ethe rnet NIC Physical Address - - B- B-D - A Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF-FF Dhcp Enabled No IP Address fe ffff ffff fffd Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled As for other problems theres no MAC address filtering the WEP key is correct WEP is set to shared Ive unplugged the wireless reciever on my computer and plugged it back in disabled the NIC updated my driver changed the wireless channel unplugged the router Belkin g wireless router and plugged it back in as well as turning off the modem etc Anyone have any suggestions as to fixing this problem Thanks in advance Myk nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

I have a home network with two computers. Both comps have Win7 64. The network permission settings that I can find are correct on both computers.

I followed the instructions on this link below even though it is for vista, as it was the closest thing I could find. All goes well but when I do the last step of dragging and dropping the folder or try to simply copy and paste the folder to the folder in the other computer, it simply puts a shortcut in the destination folder which does not even work. It does not copy the folder and I have no idea why. I am obviously missing something and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Copy files to another computer

A:Trouble copying files to another computer on home network

Are you trying to use the Homegroup folders for this?

Because they aren't really designed for copy and paste per say. You should be using the User folders for copy and pasting of files.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/121548-trouble-copying-files-another-computer-home-network.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I need information about how to add a computer running Linux to my home network. Is there anything special I need to know? I'll be running the latest Ubuntu version once it's installed. Is there a setup wizard or something along that line that I need to run? Other computers on the network are running Vista.

Relevancy 49.45%

Hi all I'm going to do my best to describe what's wrong here - I usually find myself a competent computer user but this problem has me completely stumped and I'm hoping someone can help Background info I have Computer Printer Problem Network One Home on - from Not Printing a desktop computer and a laptop at home The desktop is connected via CAT to the modem The laptop is connected to Printer Problem on Home Network - Not Printing from One Computer the same modem and the same network but via a wireless signal Both desktop and laptop are Windows Home Premium x Both desktop and laptop belong to the same homegroup workgroup It is possible to see shared files between the computers no problem File sharing is enabled on both computers and works normally So far so good However I am unable to print from my laptop in a very peculiar way I'll simply say what goes on rather than attempt to analyse so you can judge for yourself When I print from the desktop Print job goes into print queue I am able to see the document in the print queue on both the desktop and laptop i e Laptop detects the correct printer and sees there's a document queued Document prints as expected and disappears from queue When I print from the laptop Print job goes into print queue on laptop only - Only the laptop sees the document in the print queue desktop does not see it at all After some time usually seconds per page the document disappears from the queue as if it was printed normally However the desktop never registers the document in the print queue and most importantly the printer never prints --------------------------- Questions I've already answered from talking to friends - Is this a software issue with Office what I use Not as far as I can tell printing PDFs and from websites also don't work on the laptop - Could it be that the printer you added to your laptop isn't recognised as being the same printer I doubt this because when I print a document on my desktop but check the print queue on my laptop the document is present - What kind printer do you have HP Deskjet F - Is your network preventing the two computers from connecting to each other I don't think so because file sharing is on for both works normally on both machines and I can see the desktop's print queue from the laptop Thank you in advance for any help I'd love to be able to print from my laptop and not have to transfer files over to my desktop whenever I want to print

A:Printer Problem on Home Network - Not Printing from One Computer

This problem has now been solved - through an option I don't recall seeing on any other version of Windows before!

Right click on printer and go to printer properties on the computer the printer is hosted on...go to SHARING tab...uncheck "Render print jobs on client computers". It turned out to be that simple.

Very strange, that!

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/122723-printer-problem-home-network-not-printing-one-computer.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Hi. I can't seem to connect to my wife's computer on our home network. We both have Vista laptops. I can access her media (through WMP and iTunes), and she can get to my computer no problem, but every time I click on her computer icon on the network, I get this error:

"\\(her computer name) is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The network is not present or not started.

For more information, click Help."

Clicking Help doesn't seem to do anything.

Anyone feel like spending some time on this? It would be immensely appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-problem-connecting-to-other-computer-on-home-network.790118/
Relevancy 49.45%

I have a password protected wireless home network with my main PC, laptop and Wii authorized to connect. I noticed in Network & File Sharing - a computer "KEN63VY4H1". I cannot open this computer or login to it. To do so, Iit requests a password and user and I can't. I am the administrator. I have Windows Vista and a Netgear Wireless N router. What do I do? Is this dangerous? I tried shutting everything down and restarting and he is still there. Can you please help me??

Relevancy 49.45%

I have computers running XP Pro in a workgroup on a home network behind a Linksys BEFSR router I am the only person who uses or has access to them The first computer I set the network up on has separate printing issues and network computer accessability Home hard drives and a USB printer the second has hard drive with Home network computer accessability and printing issues partitions I used the Network Setup Wizard to set up both computers and then turned off the Windows firewall because I m behind the router and have extensive antivirus and malware protections enabled I can reboot the first computer and never have any trouble accessing the second from My Network Places After rebooting the second computer and when I open My Network Places and click on any icon for the first computer a Home network computer accessability and printing issues box named quot Connect to quot opens and asks for a user name and password After I enter my name and click OK I can access the first computer with no problem other than as follows Accessing the printer from the second computer is another story The printer icon in Control Panel on the second computer has the same network symbol characteristics as the icons in My Network Places and is checked as default printer there is no other printer installed When right clicked the Sharing and Security tabs show sharing enabled and full permissions for the listed user groups When I right click on anything in the second computer including Notepad and PDF formats and try to print a box appears with the message quot Be sure your printer is connected properly and use Control Panel to verify that the printer is configured properly quot Please tell me how to do the following Permanently eliminate having the username password box or any other security dialogue appear before being able to access the first computer from the second Permanently resolve the issue of printer inaccessability from the second computer Right now even when I can access the drives on the first computer I have to use the printer cd in the second computer to completely uninstall reinstall before being able to print from the second computer And anytime I reboot the second computer I have to go through the whole uninstall reinstall procedure again before being able to print from it Your assistance is greatly looked forward to and appreciated Moderator ---Please advise if this should have been posted in another forum and transfer it there for me if applicable nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

I have two dell desktop computers:

Dell Dimension 2350
Win XP Home SP2
Westell DSL Modem
Broadcom 440X 10/100 integrated controller

Dell Optiplex GX260
Win XP Pro SP2
Connected with network cable
HP EN1207D-TX PCI 10/100 ethernet adaptor

I set-up a home network using the wizard. I can see and access files and printers on both computers(although, it's very slow when opening the GX260 from the 2350) but I can't access the internet on the GX260. The local area connection has "limited or no connectivity" on both machines.

Thanks.

Relevancy 49.02%

I have a home network with an computer using an XP operating system and it is networked via a Linksys WRT54GS router. I also have another desktop that uses windows Vista Home Premuim. Between the two machines we use either a Lexmark e232 and or a HP G85 printer. There has never been a printing or shring issue between these two computers. I was recently given a Dell 922 Printer and bout a Gateway M-Series laptop running Vista Home premium. For the life of me, I can't get the laptop to print via network with the Dell. The laptop doesn't have any problem adding and or printing to the other 2 printers.
The error I keep getting is 0x0000000d. I tried the registry fix that Microsoft recomments, but with no luck. Any help or guidance is appreciated.

A:Can't network a Dell 922 between and XP server computer and a laptop with Vista Home

This is a procedure that I've had success with installing Vista printers when the normal install didn't work.
Temporarily connect the printer to the Vista machine and install it as a local printer using the proper Vista drivers.
Disconnect the printer and move it to the XP machine it normally connects to and make sure that it's configured as a shared printer.
Open the Printers and Faxes folder on the Vista machine, right click on the printer and select properties.
Create a new Local Port for this printer with a name of the full network path name to the shared printer, i.e. \\computer_name\printer_name.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-network-a-dell-922-between-and-xp-server-computer-and-a-laptop-with-vista-home.805658/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi, is there a way to share files from only a single location on a home network? The "server" would be a Windows 7 machine. The others are 7 or 8. We don't want computers on the network to "see" any other computers, only the one w/shared files, and only that specific directory (they s/b able to add folders there).

We have a homegroup set up for printer sharing. Network discovery is currently off. Thank you.

A:Limit sharing to a single computer/folder on home network?

Quote: Originally Posted by pseudoware

Hi, is there a way to share files from only a single location on a home network? The "server" would be a Windows 7 machine. The others are 7 or 8. We don't want computers on the network to "see" any other computers, only the one w/shared files, and only that specific directory (they s/b able to add folders there).

We have a homegroup set up for printer sharing. Network discovery is currently off. Thank you.

Turning off Network discovery should prevent the other machines from seeing those machines on the network.

If you only want one file shared on one of the Homegroup machines then turn off Network discovery on all the other machines then for each folder you need to hide choose "Share With" then "Stop Sharing".

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/315428-limit-sharing-single-computer-folder-home-network.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Back in the days of Windows 3.1 or 95, I kind of forget, I started simply setting the exact same user name and password on each of my home computers, then setting each computer's drive to be shared. I strongly doubt this is the correct way, and now with one of my computers running Windows 10 which does not even allow me to use a common user name but forces an email address, I guess the days of doing things wrong need to be gone.

Can anyone direct me to a good resource that VERY simply will show me step by step how to set each computer's settings so I can access the computers, drives, directories and files? And by "access" I should state I mean Full Access -Read, Write, Create, Delete and anything else one might wish to do?

Thank-you very much!

A:Accessing another computer's files accross my home private network

Quote: Originally Posted by brucemc777

...now with one of my computers running Windows 10 which does not even allow me to use a common user name but forces an email address...

Using a local account is of course still possible in Windows 10. Check these tutorials and posts at our sister site the Ten Forums to see how to install Windows 10 using a local account instead of an MS Account, and how to set up basic networking:Installation tutorial, Step 20 shows how to set up Windows 10 Build 10122 with a local account: Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums
A video showing the same: Solved Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members - Page 24 - Windows 10 Forums
A video showing how to install Windows 10 Build 10074 or older with a local account: Solved Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members - Page 9 - Windows 10 Forums
Basic Windows networking, including Windows 10 networking: Solved Windows 10 instructional videos by Ten Forums members - Page 2 - Windows 10 Forums

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/371138-accessing-another-computers-files-accross-my-home-private-network.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have been trying to set up a homegroup to share between a desktop and two laptops. After many attempts I got the two laptops to work by removing guest from "deny access to this computer from the network" in the local security settings. Both of the laptops were running windows 7 professional. Unfortunately my desktop is running windows 7 home premium which doesn't have the local security settings option. So my question is can I remove the guest account from "deny access to this computer from the network" in windows 7 home premium through some interesting bit of registry editing or something? I really don't want to upgrade to professional if possible.

A:Deny Access to this Computer from the Network Win7 Home Premium

Quote: Originally Posted by Matthew23

I have been trying to set up a homegroup to share between a desktop and two laptops. After many attempts I got the two laptops to work by removing guest from "deny access to this computer from the network" in the local security settings. Both of the laptops were running windows 7 professional. Unfortunately my desktop is running windows 7 home premium which doesn't have the local security settings option. So my question is can I remove the guest account from "deny access to this computer from the network" in windows 7 home premium through some interesting bit of registry editing or something? I really don't want to upgrade to professional if possible.

You shouldn't need to remove guest from anywhere in order to set up a Homegroup. It appears as if you are working around another problem.

Most Homegroup problems can be solved by going through the Homegroup trouble shooter.

Ultimate Troubleshooting Guide for Windows 7 HomeGroup Connection Issues - Help Desk Geek

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/279091-deny-access-computer-network-win7-home-premium.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have a home network that includes a Win desktop and a Win K desktop My problem is that while I can access the Win computer which happens to be named access computer to in for Password network required Win2K home quot Bill quot from the Win computer which is named quot Pat quot when I try to go in the opposite direction I get a window asking for a password to access the Pat files The window reads quot You must supply a password to make this connection quot Then below that quot Resource Pat IPC quot Then a window for the password If I Password required for access to Win2K computer in home network click quot OK quot with or without a password I get a Microsoft Networking Error window quot The password is incorrect try again quot When I click quot OK quot in that window Windows returns to the Enter Network Password window I cannot modify any settings for IPC on the Pat computer nor can I delete it as far as I can see it is a resource that I do not need for my particular needs Nor have I been able to set any permissions that I can find that will allow access from the Win computer The mystifying part is that the Win K computer happens to Password required for access to Win2K computer in home network be a dual boot computer that has an original Win K installation OS and a replacement Win K OS This was done using Partition Magic and each virtual drive is hidden from the other This came about when the original installation developed a lot of problems with viruses and spyware I finally adopted a solution of re-installing Win K on the computer and during the time I was re-installing programs on the C drive I booted back and forth from one OS to the other This old installation of Win K DOES allow access by the Win computer without any question of a password When I click on the icon for the Win computer in My Network Places the icons for the shared folders on the Win K computer come right up and can be accessed without any difficulty I have searched and searched through the two OS settings to see what might be different but have not been able to find anything As an additional tidbit a Win XP laptop is also connected to the home network With the old OS Win K shared icons come right up without any question or request for password With the new OS Win K a window opens asking for the name of the user before the connection is made and I can enter the name of a user authorized by the Win K computer The connection is then completed without any problem and since I do not require a password for the Win K user I do not have to enter a password from the laptop This Win XP window is in contrast to the window opened by Win which does not allow any identification of user and only asks for a password The network connection MAC address IP address network adapter and its settings are all identical for both setups so my problem obviously is a software one and has nothing to do with hardware connections Both installations of Win K were done from the same CD and both have been updated with the same service packs So I am completely stumped Does anyone have an idea of what is happening nbsp

A:Password required for access to Win2K computer in home network

It sounds like your trying to connect to the administrative share on the 2K machine. Try this.

Right click on the drive in question on the 2K machine and select Sharing... Add a new share and grant access rights to everyone.

Create an account on the 2K machine with the same name/password as is used to logon to the W98 machine. It's not necessary to logon to the 2K machine with this account, it just has to have permission to access the shared files.

This should eliminate the password prompt.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/password-required-for-access-to-win2k-computer-in-home-network.430804/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi Hopefully a simple one ""this computer..." boot a Network is home for Dafult Home but unable to figure Dafult boot for Home Network ""this is a home computer..." out a default Dafult boot for Home Network ""this is a home computer..." setting Simply for the home desktop and want to share with other kit on the home network When I boot up it appears I have to always tweak the settings Control Panel gt System gt Change settings gt Network ID and select under quot Select the option that best describes your network quot so I opt for I tick quot this is a home computer it's not part of a business network quot The reboot All works fine and all devices can be seen and read write in accordance with the appropriate share settings Now the issue is when I next reboot the Control Panel gt System gt Change settings gt Network ID and select under quot Select the option that best describes your network quot will default to quot This computer is part of a business network I use it to connect to other computers at work quot So I have to got through steps and again How to I get Windows Pro x to default to the quot this is a home computer it's not part of a business network quot on each boot without having to manual configure Thanks for your time as usual

A:Dafult boot for Home Network ""this is a home computer..."

One it is because you are switching back and forth between two different networks. Second Windows Firewall is borked. You may have to open a Command Window and run sfc /scannow . To see if that fixes it.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/48347-dafult-boot-home-network-home-computer.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Can you stop a computer from hogging the Internet connection on a small home network? This must be a very common network problem. (Of course if there is only one computer accessing the net at the time there is no reason that it shouldn’t use all the bandwidth.)

Any suggestions?

A:Can you stop a computer from hogging the internet connection on a small home network?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-you-stop-a-computer-from-hogging-the-internet-connection-on-a-small-home-network.895805/
Relevancy 48.16%

I have a computer set up at home as a hobby-web server designated quot Server quot running Windows Professional Swedish language version The Server has Norton Internet Security installed Standard port in the firewall is open to allow Remote Desktop connections I cannot connect home Can't access Remote adapter to set internet my Desktop network is Public. computer on when to the Server using Remote Desktop unless When I open Network- and Sharing Center on the Server under View your active networks my internet connection designated quot Network quot by Windows is set to quot Public Network quot I cannot connect to the Server Can't access Remote Desktop on my home computer when internet network adapter is set to Public. I get the error message quot Remote Desktop can't connect to the remote computer for one of these reasons Remote access to the server is not enabled nbsp The remote computer is turned off nbsp The remote computer is not available on the network quot This happens even will all firewalls disabled If I change quot Network quot to quot Home network quot or quot Work quot - then I can connect to the Server using Remote Desktop But if I set my Server's public IP-address network adapter to quot Home network quot isn't my security compromised more than it already is when I'm allowing Remote Desktop I don't want to leave my Internet connection at Home Network because the point of having different settings is because I want to have my internal LAN at a lower security level for network drive access How do I fix this

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4a9a6f4b-1df0-4d19-b82b-697cb871a45d/cant-access-remote-desktop-on-my-home-computer-when-internet-network-adapter-is-set-to-public?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 48.16%

Have DSL and for brower-Use Internet Explorer- WinXp , Netgear router and Earthlink as my provider. It's getting where half the time I cannot connect to the internet, Page not found.

I go thru all the steps:

Reboot computer
unplug and replug DSL Modem
unplug rand replug router
use command line and entering ipconfig, ping ipconfig, etc
use command line to renew and release network

Half the time one of the above steps gets me in and sometimes not.

I called tech support and they say they cant help me be/c my router was not bought thru them. If I disconnect my network , they will be able to help me but then, my configurations would be changed and I replace one problem with another.

Any Ideas what could be happening? Any help is appreciated.

A:Problems connecting to Internet, using simple home network, main computer and laptop

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-connecting-to-internet-using-simple-home-network-main-computer-and-laptop.504952/
Relevancy 47.3%

Situation- month old Dell XPS Win bit Pro as main computer connected by Wired Adapter Upgraded Gateway E also running Win bit pro as says set network no join home can't but network 7 Win homegroup, Home second connected by Wireless Both running Kapersky successfully no network problems for mo Both were successfully linked using homegroup Had to take Gateway to a remote location to do a business demo While there had to link to a local public WiFi While connecting made mistake and left homegroup When Gateway returned to homebase a Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network few days later it was fine had no problems finding wireless but could not see or rejoin Dell machine homegroup It would let me set Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network up a new homegroup Went to Dell box and found homegroup no longer existed router and network and wireless printing no longer found - Red X on the taskbar even though internet was still working fine Took nearly a week of trying differernt fixes on adapter- off adapter- different adapter reboot network router even updated router firmware Yes I went through every ipconfig reset renew redecorate etc I've used netsh functions to try Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network to get evrything to reset Changes services msc settings per other posts Finally in desperation deleted every sub key in the registry related to network locational awareness and got the Dell to find the network let me set it up as a quot home quot network and then even see the invitation to join the Gateway's homegroup Then I hit a wall- when I try to join- Win says I can't join the homegroup because the network is not a quot home network quot Of course troubleshooting is useless and goes into an endless loop Have searched in desperation for any way to make Win return to a clean slate so it can sense that it really is on a home network without success Applied the fix-it and hotpatch for when Win gets stuck in public mode No joy Deleted the hide wizard subkey as suggested elsewhere No Joy Gut feeling says problem must lie in the NLA or peer networking somewhere but where Does anyone know of a method or set of steps short of a clean reinstall of Win to completely clear every thing the OS knows about my network and force it to acknowlege my network is a home network Is there a registry hack that will clear the problem I know I could abandon the homegroup and do conventional file print share but I am concerned that using that solution won't last as whatever is screwing up the homegroup could eventually screw regular sharing and then I'm back to reformating reinstalling I'm just about ready to join the Apple folks so I never have to work on Windows again Help

A:Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network

Just a thought - if running Kaspersky Internet Security (with inbuilt firewall) check that your Internet connection in the settings is set to Home or Private Network vs Public.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/257334-home-network-set-but-win-7-says-cant-join-homegroup-no-home-network.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Windows 7 home premium sp1
Bitdefender tell me it become unresponsive an recommend to reboot
system message tell me  Windows update is deactivated
window defender full scan found nothing
comodo antivirus deactivated and cannot be reactivated
a reboot do not change anything
can you help me please

A:W 7 home cannot conect internet and home network even in safe mode

Welcome aboard

Can you operate computer normally?

Are you running two AV programs (BitDefender and Comodo)?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518785/w-7-home-cannot-conect-internet-and-home-network-even-in-safe-mode/
Relevancy 45.15%

I have Laptop and PC connected with lan cabel They are both with Windows Vista Home Basic bit They both have no problems with internet They have the same WORKGROUP names Both have real IPs I see each other on the Network but i can not connect to them it was all OK when I was on XP gt When I try to connect from the Laptop to the PC i recive quot Error code x quot I click on Diagnose and I on 32bit. Network Home Vista Home Basic Problem see this I tried to turn off the Firewall and the NOD antivirus but nothing changed The Sharing and Discovery Settings are OK like this I give share permissions to my network May be I have to install quot Client Home Network Problem on Vista Home Basic 32bit. quot for quot File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks quot but is no listed 'Client' or 'Servise' to use I found I have to allow permissions in the firewall to some ports like -TCP -UDP -UDP -TCP I did this Give me some help how to manage with my network so I can browse both computers copy files and so on Thanks in advance

A:Home Network Problem on Vista Home Basic 32bit.

I can't help but just wondered why you have made another post not long after your first post with exactly the same question ?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/201692-home-network-problem-vista-home-basic-32bit.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I did not set up my pc's to share over my home wireless network, but suddenly today I see that all drives and the printer are available between each computer. I had tried to set up the computers to share months ago, but never got it to work and gave up.

The desktop is old, running WinME, one laptop is running WinXPpro, the other laptop is running Vista. They are all connected to a Westell router/dsl modem for internet through Verizon.

So, I turn the desktop off daily. Today I go to turn it off and it says the WinXP laptop is connected and do I really want to shut down. I go to windows explorer on both machines and sure enough I have access to the other drives on each computer. I start the Vista machine and see the same.

Am I compromised?

A:MY home computers suddenly sharing over home wireless network

If you didn't make the change to share all drives, then somebody did. I would assume the worst. Time to reformat and reinstall.

Windows ME is past end of life, and no security updates are provided by MS. I wouldn't run it anymore. Maybe you'd want to try out some linux distros, some are quite good on old hardware. See this review:
http://www.linux.com/feature/52134

It seems you don't have a separate router, I would advise you to get one. I have a modem/router too but I also have a separate hardware firewall/router. The modem/router does NAT but I constantly see connections/attacks making it past the modem/router to my firewall. Having a separate router is a good thing.

Since you are using wireless, did you enable the encryption? If you have WPA or WPA2 use them and setup a long and complicated passphrase. Use WEP if you have no other choice cause WEP can be broken into real quick. You must enable encryption because with wireless, all your machines are sitting ducks when you have close range attackers, whereas with wired, at least you still have a perimeter which you can fortify with a firewall. Also it is especially important to have software firewalls on Each PC when using wireless.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-home-computers-suddenly-sharing-over-home-wireless-network.688238/
Relevancy 45.15%

can someone help me sort this I have a bunch of devices on my lan some by ethernet some wireless One Windows Pro desktop on ethernet serves all the other devices - at least in theory Working on 10 won't network: allow Home Pro browse Home shared Windows fldr vs well no big issues But with my Windows Home edition on a Zenbook with networking on network discovery on public folder shared I can RDP into the other windows machine just fine I can map network drives etc Life's good right With my 'droid using ES File Manager I can move files easily between windows machine Windows desktop other droids etc However the ONE MACHINE it cannot get Windows 10 Home vs Pro on network: Home won't allow browse shared fldr coherent is the Zenbook running Windows Home It simply will not connect with the correct IP and credentials I can quot see quot the machine by scanning the network map with the Droid access it setup the credentials but cannot get in I am wild-guessing the firewall may be blocking but I have no trouble doing what's needed with the other Windows machine so stumped Both are fully updated to latest win updates both are essentially set same way networking-wise to my knowledge Anyone have a clue here

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/42276-windows-10-home-vs-pro-network-home-wont-allow-browse-shared-fldr.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Not sure how actively anyone is tracking user needs here but figured I had nothing to lose by asking for help unable to find an understandable Home? Virtual 2007: running access Home...password to Windows on in PC network Win7 10 Win Win98 printer answer here so far I had been happily running Virtual PC on a Win Home system printing on a network physically connected Windows Virtual PC 2007: Win98 running on Win7 Home...password to access network printer in Win 10 Home? via usb cable to a Win XP system nbsp I have now replaced the XP tower with a Windows tower with that printer attached to that tower and functioning normally When I run Virtual PC on the Win system it quot sees quot the Win system but on trying to install the printer it is asking for a password to the Win system I am guessing that it would require a ton of tweaks to get around this and although I am not a full blown novice I never like fiddling with too many settings that might screw up everything else that is working So long story short is there in fact a reasonably simple way to work around this or should I just give up to progress and new operating systems Thanks to anyone who might be willing to point me in the right direction

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a0dafef1-ad4f-4e1b-926e-78fd41964fad/windows-virtual-pc-2007-win98-running-on-win7-homepassword-to-access-network-printer-in-win-10?forum=w7itprovirt
Relevancy 44.72%

I have three computers networked together at home They have different OS s on them One is Vista Home Premium another XP Pro and the home from copy Home Can't Xp on Pro folders network to Solved: Xp third is XP Home My problem is that I can t copy or move any folders or files from the XP home machine to the Solved: Can't copy folders from Xp Home to Xp Pro on home network Xp pro machine I get an error message that access Solved: Can't copy folders from Xp Home to Xp Pro on home network is denied Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and the file is not currently in use I can go to the XP Pro computer and go through my mapped drive and click on the same file and copy it without any errors Why does this only work from one machine I know XP home only uses simple file sharing and XP Pro has more security Is there a setting that I should check on the firewall or within XP Pro I made some changes to get the XP Pro computer to be able to map a network drive to the Vista computer Will this effect the ability to copy files from XP Home I have researched this issue and have not found an answer that will solve the problem None of the computers are password protected or are any of the files password protected on any computer nbsp

Relevancy 44.29%

Hi,
I have a wireless network in my home, which consists of 4 computers. My problem is that 2 of the computers dont seem to see each other, while the others see all the computers.

For the sake of illustration I will number the computers 1,2,3,4

1 sees 2 and 3 but not 4
2 sees all
3 sees all
4 sees 2 and 3 but not one.

I have pinged between 1 and 4 and they see each other this way.

They used to see each other until unit 1 needed a new harddrive, and since being restored, i am having this problem.

computer 1 is an xp machine, while the others are win98.

Thanks for any help.

Relevancy 43.86%

Help,
I had to reformat my computer and am using windows 7 pro 64 bit. After getting Windows 7 back onto my computer, I was trying to use my home network to pass file between my desktop and to the a laptop. It wouldn't let me do either. I then looked at network sharing and it showed that neither my home network or home group was there. So I tried to set up another home group, and it gave me the following error:

"Must have IPv6 to create or join a home group".

When I go and try to start my IPv6 through the trouble shooter, it shows being started, but it still will not let me either join or create a home group.

Any ideas????? I hope this explanation is clear enough.

Dabeartn

Relevancy 43.86%

My main desktop is a Vista Home Premium -bit Dell system connected to a WRT G Router Workgroup with my last name The Laptop originally was XP Home configured to the same Workgroup name connected to the same router and networking was flawless In order to access a newly created Domain at my workplace my Laptop was upgraded to XP Pro SP There were still issues with a program on the work network even though I could connect to the domain so they decided to Home to XP Broke Upgrade Network Pro Home XP just get me a new desktop XP Home to XP Pro Upgrade Broke Home Network and everything there is fine But now I can t get my Laptop seen by my Desktop Here are the details On my XP Pro Laptop I entered the correct Workgroup name and had to XP Home to XP Pro Upgrade Broke Home Network sign off the Domain Now when I log on I am connecting to quot This Computer quot and not the domain From the XP Pro Laptop I can see and Ping the Desktop have Internet access a proper IP Address etc The Desktop shows up on the Network I can Map a Drive etc So from the XP Pro Laptop to the Vista Home Desktop everything works fine in that direction On the Desktop however there is a problem The Laptop does show up as a computer on the Network but when I click on it to access it I receive an Error Message Windows cannot access Dell Check the spelling Error Code x If I click on the quot Diagnose quot button I get Check the spelling of the name make sure the computer is turned on and connected etc I cannot ping the Laptop from the Desktop Time out I have NIS set up on both Computers On the Desktop when I look at the Network Map I do see the Dell Laptop and have given it quot Full Trust quot setting It shows it as quot Online quot But I can t acess the XP Laptop from the Vista Desktop despite the fact that it does show up on the Network as shown by Windows and the Network Map as shown by Norton I tried temporarily turning off the Norton Firewall on the Laptop No change As suggested on one site I found I enabled NetBIOS over TCP IP on the Laptop and rebooted but no change I tried going through the Network Wizard on the XP Laptop but it failed with a non-descriptive suggestion to try again or set it up manually When I look at System Properties the quot Full Computer Name quot of the Laptop is displayed as quot Dell quot with a period at the end even though the name itself is quot Dell quot without the period quot Dell quot is shown as the NetBIOS name I do have the Data partition on the XP Latop quot shared quot as I did before the XP Pro upgrade when everything was working fine Windows File Sharing is enabled I m stumped It seems I ve done everything right but can t figure out why the Vista Desktop can t seem to connect with the XP Laptop Any suggestions greatly appreciated I imagine there s some small switch that needs to be thrown but for the life of me I can t identify it Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 43.86%

Here is the deal I am running Windows XP SP on my home tower custom built The tower is hardwired to a Linksys WRT GS Solved: office ready not Network printer home network will to connect router The tower does not have a wireless NIC There are a few other computers that access this small network at various Solved: Network ready printer will not connect to home office network times The router is using WPA-PSK encryption Wireless MAC address connectivity is enabled I bought an HP NW Laserjet printer and tried connecting it to the wireless network using the enclosed getting started guide I initially tried connecting it in ad hoc mode because I believe this is what I should use in my home office No dice Nothing was recognized The only printing success I got was when I hooked an Ethernet cable directly to the router After unplugging the cable I had no luck printing wirelessly even though I tried also configuring the installation for infrastructure mode where the printer was recognized but still would not print once the cable was removed I have taken the printer s MAC address and added it as a trusted endpoint in both my router s configuration table and in my firewall Norton Internet Security However that has also not helped Some advice I have read is making sure QoS is disabled on the router and also making sure that the SSID and pass key for the printer match that of the router It should be easy to make these changes to the printer but I cannot access the embedded web server in this printer to make these changes Also one source said to make sure the printer is on the same subnet as the router I only have one subnet in my network and that is the xx xx range of addresses that I use for two of my laptops with wireless NICs and a third Dell tower with a Linksys wireless NIC Any ideas on what else I can try I am pretty much out of ideas Thanks Elizabeth K nbsp

A:Solved: Network ready printer will not connect to home office network

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-network-ready-printer-will-not-connect-to-home-office-network.581074/
Relevancy 43.86%

Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network screen I have a home network with laptops and desktop The desktop I use as a quot file server quot in that all work done on the laptops is stored to the to Explorer Unable network computers Windows in see scree home Network desktop The desktop computer name is HAL One laptop is fine and sees the network The other just stopped seeing it rebooted the laptop rebooted HAL did a number of refreshes without any luck I opened EXCEL and found a worksheet that was listed that I knew was saved Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree on HAL Was able to open the file and when I tried the SAVE AS I could navigate through all of HAL just as normal Went to Windows Explorer and still no HAL listed as a COMPUTER on the NETWORK I have a internet connection so I know I am making it to the router at least And when I check NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER it shows an active home network Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree The laptop is running Windows Home Premium Service Pack Build Thanks in advance for any help George

A:Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree

Still working on the problem. Tried to do a system restore back to the point where everything was working. Still no HAL showing as a network computer; Excel now does not recognize the path that worked yesterday. But now I am able to create a shortcut that will take me to HAL on the network. Guess this is a good enough fix for right now. When I go to Windows Explorer, Network it still only shows the 2 laptops and not HAL......WHY????

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/229783-unable-see-home-network-computers-windows-explorer-network-scree.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi all This is all on my home network - both PCs are local to each other I have a Win PC which hosts all within network Remote loses network home drive randomly desktop and connectivity mapped my media and documents which I connect to via remote desktop and share a drive on the network It has no monitor so remote desktop is my main method of access Very occasionally I will turn it on and be unable to connect to it or the mapped drive In fact my main PC Win cannot find it on the network anywhere But it IS on the network - I can connect via my mobile using Splashtop and I can also connect via TeamViewer from the main PC This is not a solution though as I need to be able to access the shared drive on my main PC Remote desktop and mapped network drive within home network randomly loses connectivity Both PCs use Bitdefender Makes no Remote desktop and mapped network drive within home network randomly loses connectivity difference with the BD firewall temporarily turned off As I mentioned sometimes it connects fine with no issues and sometimes it can't find it In these situations I can't even ping the Media PC's IP address timeout nor can the Media PC ping the main PC It can obviously ping the router Usually a restart of the Media PC fixes this although that's annoying - but today it isn't The error that I get is 'The network path was not found' and for remote desktop 'Remote Desktop can't find the computer 'MediaServer quot This might mean it does not belong to the specified network quot etc I also thought it work mentioning that this is what comes up when using the net use command Status nbsp nbsp nbsp Local nbsp nbsp Remote nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Network ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Unavailable nbsp X nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp MediaServer D nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Microsoft Windows Network The command completed successfully If I then muck around with deleting the share and reconnecting it will sometimes reconnect Today - no can't find the network path Any help appreciated

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1a303e2f-6cbb-4147-8cdd-2009aa384661/remote-desktop-and-mapped-network-drive-within-home-network-randomly-loses-connectivity?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 43.43%

PRODUCT: HP Chromebook 11 G4S/N: 5CD5515QDCGoogle Chrome OS Version 50.0.2661.103Platform 7978.74.0Firmware Google_Kip.5216.227.25 This device is frustrating my spouse to no end.  It keeps dropping our home wifi network connection.  I have to shutdown power, wait, and power back on and it refreshes.  This is annoying. I am seriously considering returning this device.  The whole point of this purchase was stability and ease of browsing and light internet use.  Frustration is not part of the purchase.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Network-Connection-Error-Dropped-Home-WiFi-Network-only-on/td-p/5638654
Relevancy 43.43%

So i'm having an issue connecting my desktop to my home network for file sharing. My Desktop is connected to the internet like so: Desktop ->(Ethernet cable)-> Uverse 2wire router -> Internet.

I have no issues with my internet connection, and in fact I am posting this from my desktop now. Windows Network Diagnostics finds no issues when I run the trouble shooter. and when I try to connect to a home group it refers me to the network issue.

This issue has plagued me for about 6 months now. I have talked to Uverse tech support, and many of my friends who are into computers and have gotten no answers. Computer is running windows 7 SP1 and again the router is the Uverse 2wire router

How can I make my desktop available for network sharing?

Also here is a screenshot of the network map according to this computer

A:Network Sharing Problem. Connecting Desktop to home network

Have you set up a home network? What is the workgroup name? Are there any passwords of any kind? Have you set your shared settings on each PC in the workgroup?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/207840-network-sharing-problem-connecting-desktop-home-network.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi there, I use Wireless internet for both my pc and laptop, and connect through my BT Homehub. But whenever I open the wireless connections tab, it always shows a Talk Talk Wireless option along with the BT one which I use (and sometimes a 3rd connection that is unknown to me).
I think my network is secure, as I have to put a network key in before it will connect to the internet on the PC, but when I connect to the internet on the laptop no key is required, (so unsure a bit now) but I just wanted to make sure that the Talk Talk connection and the other one that is showing, is not somebody who can see all of the files on either my pc or laptop.
Just wanted some advice really, to make sure I dont have anybody viewing my files etc. Thank you in advance.

Relevancy 43%

My home network has several componants DSL down up and wireless down up My windows xp computer is connected to the wireless vista ultimate is connected to DSL but both are part of my home network and I am able to share files This part is fine it is hard wired My laptop xp pro wireless or hard wired sees the home hidden network is Vista a my wireless network says home network all is good Problem my tablet vista premium can Vista says my home network wireless is a hidden network only connect to wireless down wirelessly is not able to share files Not part of home network file sharing and discovery are on It will connect to home network hard cable and share files when I get thwwat part figured out It is a member of home network Vista says my home network wireless is a hidden network How do I correct this Vista says my home network wireless is a hidden network problem I am using a DSL modem to a monowall router with wireless to switches through out the house The wireless signal from a different provider Vista says my home network wireless is a hidden network through a meg I think anttena also goes to the mono wall router Monowall router is working correctly at least hard wired The purpose of a wireless home network is to sorry be wireless and able to move around and share files Sorry if it is confusing I had it all working with xp Vista is a problem that I have not figured out yet Help

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/181414-vista-says-my-home-network-wireless-hidden-network.html
Relevancy 43%

Hi Guys and Gals So i have a problem trying to connect unidentified home change network network to - Public cant my PC Via Ethernet wireless can connect but i m wanting wired as the signal strength is poor and of cause wired is faster ive never had wired connection on my PC and the problem has only just came about after moving home Public network - unidentified network cant change to home i digress so in network sharing its is showing my wired connection as unidentified public network - IPv Connectivity - no network access IPv Connectivity - no network access Now i have tried the following - resetting router i have fibre so reset both - reset pc - uninstalled reinstalled and udated drivers for Broadcom NetXtreme xx Gigabit Controller - turned off firewall - turned of anti virus anti spyware - manually assigned IP - automatically assigned IP - installed protocol on IPv and IPv - deleted network from my computer and reconnected - changed my security settings to low disabled then reset them back after no change ip config - Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Ryan gt ipconfig Windows IP Configuration Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link-local IPv Address fe c f c fd e d IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link-local IPv Address fe b fe a Autoconfiguration IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Tunnel adapter isatap F D- - - C -AD A B Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix IPv Address ef fb f f ff Link-local IPv Address fe f f ff Default Gateway Tunnel adapter isatap FF F D- BF - A-A D- A F E Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap E A - - BD -B - B FDD A D Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Any help with this would be great as i said i have a connection via wifi so im not gonna hang my self just yet but would really like some insight into the problem Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 42.57%

My laptop can no longer connect to my home network Laptop will network network home connect every to my except It used to connect fine but I was having problems with my graphics card as every time I went on Youtube it would crash As a result I sent it into ASUS it is an ASUS K J Series and got the motherboard and the hard drive replaced After this Laptop will connect to every network except my home network my laptop seemed to be working great It connected to a variety of networks including home networks and public networks However it cannot connect to the network in my apartment I know this network works and is connectable as my roommate s laptop works perfectly fine So I know it is not a problem with my laptop since it connects to other networks and I know it is not the network since other laptops connect to it I ve tried resetting my adapter I ve tried turning off the firewall and I am simply out of ideas Also I ve tried the trouble shooting option numerous times after trying a variety of things that usually fix the connectivity but it always says that the problem cannot be detected It s starting to be really frustrating especially since I m in university and sharing a laptop when both my roommate and I need to do work is not convenient Thank you Prudence nbsp