Windows Support Forum

My DVD ROM does has not worked since Win8.1 upgrade, I now have Win10.

Q: My DVD ROM does has not worked since Win8.1 upgrade, I now have Win10.

I have been trying every fix possible or either the fixes I find are not compatible w/ my system. My burner is a Toshiba CDDVDW TS-L633N,

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/36776-my-dvd-rom-does-has-not-worked-since-win8-1-upgrade-i-now-have-win10.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: My DVD ROM does has not worked since Win8.1 upgrade, I now have Win10.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 82.77%

I have been trying every fix possible or either the fixes I find are not compatible w/ my system. My burner is a Toshiba CDDVDW TS-L633N,

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/36776-my-dvd-rom-does-has-not-worked-since-win8-1-upgrade-i-now-have-win10.html
Relevancy 78.69%

I Had Win8.1, tried Win10, had huge problems (Win10 problems and Saitek Drivers non-existent for Win10), went back to Win8.1, Now want to go back 2 Win10 , now that Saitek has newer Win10 drivers for peripherals. (Saitek, was all screwed up refused to make Win10 drivers for a very long time.

Will Win10 install over my Win 8.1 and keep my applications, or will I have to re-load al my applications and programs?

Thanx

I have DCS, IL-2 and also, Steam with Flight Simulators. Also Flight Sticks, etc. Drivers, Software, etc.
All in the Win8.1 install.

A:Had Win8.1, tried Win10, huge problems, back Win8.1, bak 2 Win10

If you use the Media Creation tool to do an upgrade, and as long as you chose "Upgrade this PC now" , you should be fine. The only problems you may encounter are incompatible drivers. You can also create a bootable media, but upgrading it directly is better IMO.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/32613-had-win8-1-tried-win10-huge-problems-back-win8-1-bak-2-win10.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Since I've upgraded from Win 8.1 to Win 10, I can't turn off my PC without getting an exception in .NET Framework, and then a message that it is preventing shutdown. Google shows that this problem isn't exactly new and already happened to some people with Win8, but for some reason I've not been able to find a working solution yet. Does anyone know of a way to fix this other than doing a clean reinstall (which I really don't want)?

I've already tried some ".NET repair tool" from Microsoft, downloaded various offline installers of .NET and tried forcing them to re-install via command line. No luck - they just keep telling me that .NET is already installed, already a part of the OS, or sometimes even "installed but not activated", which is just plain wrong according to the feature selection dialog...

A:.NET framework prevents shutdown after Win8.1 -> Win10 upgrade

I got the same problem too :\

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/12735-net-framework-prevents-shutdown-after-win8-1-win10-upgrade.html
Relevancy 76.97%

At first I'd like to say hello to everyone here. This is my first post here. It looks like this is the forum I've been looking for a long time. I'm an IT support guy and I hope I get some useful information here or share with you my experience as well.
--
Right now I was wondering: I need to install at client's laptop fresh system. Originally it comes with Win 8.1 (already installed but with no updates at all) so I assume the icon with Windows 10 offer will show up after some time but is there any way to bypass downloading the whole bunch of Win8.1 updates and get faster way to switch to the Windows 10? Or maybe downloading first all upadetes in Win8.1 is mandatory?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fresh-win8-1-installation-how-to-make-fast-upgrade-to-win10.1158457/
Relevancy 76.97%

I bought a cheap Acer Aspire computer from Wally World that has Windows on it I had to have something for internet access while I was rebuilding an XP box I figured that I'd do the free Windows upgrade on the Acer upgrade win8.1 win10 fail updates, completing insists which on once I had everything working on the XP box I have tried different ways of doing the Win upgrade and all spend HOURS downloading Win and then insist on checking for Win updates and installing them before upgrading to Win again win10 upgrade insists on completing win8.1 updates, which fail taking HOURS in the process In all cases many hours are spent downloading all the updates and then the updates start installing The progress bar gets to then a restart occurs Then I'm told that the updates are being worked on and the progress bar gets to every time Then I'm told that the updates have failed and many hours are spent putting everything back the way it was I ran sfc scannow which failed to repair dozen files My only saving grace is that I bought a spare G hard drive and used MacriumReflect to clone the original drive from Wally World over on to it so that at any time I can repeat that process to get my original drive back onto the cloned over drive Obviously I don't actually touch anything on the original drive except having put Avast AV on it win10 upgrade insists on completing win8.1 updates, which fail plus Firefox and MacriumReflect and using the McAfee uninstaller which I did before the first cloning I need to do an upgrade because the UEFI contents on this drive are uniquely matched to the mother board I don't think that a scratch win10 upgrade insists on completing win8.1 updates, which fail install of WIN will have all the drivers proprietary files etc that this motherboard is going to look for By the way while I'm trying to do all this the only things connected to the computer are a cable connection to the router a monitor a USB mouse and a USB keyboard I also turn off file and network protection in Avast indefinately since it's taking so many hours for all the shenanigans that Windows insists on doing Does anyone have any suggestions on how to install the Win updates I could take the time to install them one at a time but I can't find an inclusive list that tells what order to do them in A lot of them are security updates for Windows and the various NET frameworks from to Thanks

A:win10 upgrade insists on completing win8.1 updates, which fail

Personally, because you have a backup drive, I would clean install Windows 10 to the new drive. You can download the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool . You can pull the key with produkey and use it during the Windows 10 install.

You most likely will not need many drivers after the install. If you do then check your Aspire's website for Windows 10 specific drivers. 

What is the model number of the Aspire?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/613301/win10-upgrade-insists-on-completing-win81-updates-which-fail/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hey all I SP2? Win8.1 and to Win8.1 Product Win10 Keys BIOS on have been going crazy trying to find the nitty-gritty details of what goes on under the hood with the upgrade from Windows to Windows Win8.1 to Win10 and Win8.1 BIOS Product Keys on SP2? on a Surface Pro I am considering upgrading I am aware the many Windows devices have OEM Product Keys embedded in the BIOS I am trying to find information on how Windows if installed from a ISO bootable media interacts with this key and how Digital Entitlement plays into all of this It's currently hard for me to make sense of a lot of this Can anyone help clarify how all these elements play with one-another Another question regarding this process I have currently If I use a NEW Windows product key during installation would the new key replace the previous OEM one in the BIOS The more I find out about all this the more mystery there seems to be to it I am just trying to find the cleanest way to install Windows on a Surface Pro and this BIOS OEM key and Digital Entitlement vs Product Key thing is really confusing me Sorry if this isn't the best place to ask I'm just pretty lost right now and could really use advice from someone who's really knowledgeable about this stuff currently Thanks all

A:Win8.1 to Win10 and Win8.1 BIOS Product Keys on SP2?

Activation in Windows 10 - Windows Help

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/72368-win8-1-win10-win8-1-bios-product-keys-sp2.html
Relevancy 65.36%

How I can get E220 worked with Win10 without going into Device manager and messing with drivers, usb xci complaint controllers etc.?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/59196-huawei-e220-how-get-worked-win10.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Well the Title about says it I have a Motorola Xoom Tablet Now the reason I come to Win forum is because it tablet worked once wireless transfer and when I did a factory restore on this fairly new Win pc now the problem exists THE PROBLEM I used to be able to connect up wirelessly from the Xoom to the Pc to transfer files with an Android program called FileManager HD Always worked great piece o' cake Then the restore on the Win and no dice Now the Xoom will connect up with other wireless devices only the Win is blocking it What in the Win could be doing it I have checked firewall settings even turned it off blocking It once! What Xoom? be Win8 could my worked in and still wouldn't connect up I never thought What in Win8 could be blocking my Xoom? It worked once! was I supposed to reboot Anyway that's the deal Any ideas why it's hung up on that The Xoom see's it but when trying to transfer What in Win8 could be blocking my Xoom? It worked once! files it' balks Thanks Jack quot -D

A:What in Win8 could be blocking my Xoom? It worked once!

Try Control Panel > User Accounts > Make changes to my account in PC Settings > HomeGroup > Media Devices switch on/off.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/32323-what-win8-could-blocking-my-xoom-worked-once.html
Relevancy 64.5%

... or so, then nada, zip zero - "can't find/launch CR print engine" from Time$heet Pro
but
they continue to work together making invoices & reports on the XP laptop
reinstall is not a solution in this case

Reward

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/42719-crystal-reports-worked-win8-1-64-but-only-month.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Folks, I built a Haswell computer with a ASUS Z87 mobo. I took my SSD from my ASUS Z77 mobo computer and stuffed it into the new computer. Win8.1 just did a couple of readying devices and booted right up. No need to reinstall Win8. VERY nice surprise.

A:Moving SSD mobo build to another worked with Win8.1

Thanks for the info. Good to hear it works, even it is not the recommended way of implementation. I hope it will work with my installation as well. I currently have an older Gigabyte P35-DS3 board and want to upgrade to an Asrock Z87. Since it took me several month to adjust Windows, I will try this method first before I face the hazard of an annoying installation and adjusting process.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/32131-moving-ssd-mobo-build-another-worked-win8-1-a.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I have repeatedly encountered Win10 Envy 860-1... to 10240 14393 Win10 Failed Upgrade From on a failures in trying to upgrade Win from version to the current version I used Upgrade From Win10 10240 to Win10 14393 Failed on Envy 860-1... the Windows Upgrade exe program - failed I used the MediaCreationTool to download the iso and create a bootable DVD for upgrade - failed Created virtual drive for the iso to upgrade - failed The normal Windows Update function appears to work properly - I get windows and other updates on the usual time basis The relevant files for diagnosing what went wrong seem to be A The WINDOWS BT Sources Panther setupact logB The WINDOWS BT Sources Panther setuperr logC There are also small files with these same names in the WINDOWS WS Sources Panther folder i e another setupact log and setuperr log Here is the file WINDOWS BT Sources Panther setupact log - - Info SP CSetupPlatform Initialize Setup log starts - - Info SP Host system information VM NOFirmware type UEFIManufacturer HPModel - stBIOS name A BIOS version A BIOS release date Total memory Number of physical CPUs Number of logical CPUs Processor manufacturer GenuineIntelProcessor name Intel R Core TM i - CPU GHzProcessor caption Intel Family Model Stepping Processor architecture x Processor Upgrade From Win10 10240 to Win10 14393 Failed on Envy 860-1... clock - - Info SPVerifyFootprint Starting verification of footprint section Footprint Basic - - Info SPVerifyFootprint Could not find footprint file C Windows WS Sources reagent admx - - Info SPVerifyFootprint The requested footprint Upgrade From Win10 10240 to Win10 14393 Failed on Envy 860-1... is not present - - Warning SPGetFootprintCapabilities Footprint Footprint Basic incomplete the platform capability will not be available - - Info SPGenerateCopyListFromConfigFile Didn't find file list in C Windows WS Sources setupplatform cfg section Footprint Servicing x - - Info SPVerifyFootprint Starting verification of footprint section Footprint Servicing - - Info SPVerifyFootprint Could not find footprint file C Windows WS Sources compatprovider dll - - Info SPVerifyFootprint The requested footprint is not present - - Warning SPGetFootprintCapabilities Footprint Footprint Servicing incomplete the platform capability will not be available - - Info SPGenerateCopyListFromConfigFile Didn't find file list in C Windows WS Sources setupplatform cfg section Footprint ICB x - - Info SPVerifyFootprint Starting verification of footprint section Footprint ICB - - Info SPVerifyFootprint Could not find footprint file C Windows WS Sources cmi migxml dll - - Info SPVerifyFootprint The requested footprint is not present - - Warning SPGetFootprintCapabilities Footprint Footprint ICB incomplete the platform capability will not be available - - Info SPGenerateCopyListFromConfigFile Didn't find file list in C Windows WS Sources setupplatform cfg section Footprint Migration x - - Info SPVerifyFootprint Starting verification of footprint section Footprint Migration - - Info SPVerifyFootprint Could not find footprint file C Windows WS Sources cmi migxml dll - - Info SPVerifyFootprint The requested footprint is not present - - Warning SPGetFootprintCapabilities Footprint Footprint Migration incomplete the platform capability will not be available - - Info Initializing diagnostics helper data file NULL - - Info No existing diagnostics data - - Info Key CollectTrace is not available - - Warning SP CSetupPlatform Initialize Failed to initialize tracing - - Info There is already a running setup user mode etw session - - Info VDS available - - Info Key CollectTrace is not available - - Info SP Attempting to resurrect a new system from C Windows BT Sources - - Error SP CSetupPlatform ResurrectNewSystem Cannot resurrect new system Win Exception C Windows BT Sources NewSystem dat The system cannot find the file specified x thiscall UnBCL FileStream FileStream const class UnBCL tring enum UnBCL FileMode enum UnBCL FileAccess enum UnBC... Read more

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Upgrade-From-Win10-10240-to-Win10-14393-Failed-on-Envy-860/td-p/5749396
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello to an do i Pro?, upgrade install beggin help Win8.1 thanks Win8.1 members from Can Guru Members I work for a small charity organisation for the elderly not trying to pluck heart strings and the situation is that we were granted new computers these computers have Windows and because we have an existing domain network we actually need to have Windows Professional installed So prior to knowing that Windows could not connect to our network I had already started getting all the Windows updates and cleaning the PC s of all the Lenovo add-on s software Once I realised that it was not Windows Pro on the PC s but Can i do an upgrade install from Win8.1 to Win8.1 Pro?, beggin members help thanks only Windows being a charity we were able to purchase from the Microsoft Volume Licensing Centre Windows Professional licences I tried to use the VLC licence through the Windows Add-on s feature in Windows but a Volume Licence key is not accepted and i have also been told that I must download the Windows Professional ISO from the Volume Licensing Centre and install this particular download version But my question is when I do the installation from Windows to Windows pro will it give me the option to do an upgrade installation I worried as I don t want to lose all the previous Can i do an upgrade install from Win8.1 to Win8.1 Pro?, beggin members help thanks windows updates and Lenovo hardware driver files Or is there a way to get the Volume Licence Key into the existing Windows to unlock the Pro features or even a clever way to trick the Windows installation Any members help would be really helpful kind regards Livio nbsp

A:Can i do an upgrade install from Win8.1 to Win8.1 Pro?, beggin members help thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-do-an-upgrade-install-from-win8-1-to-win8-1-pro-beggin-members-help-thanks.1140849/
Relevancy 60.63%

Recently bought a new laptop that comes with windows 8 pre installed.
Is there a way I can get win 10 on it
Please help.
Thanks

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/445223-how-get-win10-new-win8-laptop.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I have updated my Pavilion from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 (BIG mistake!!).Now I would to revert back to Windows 8. I have a set of recovery disks fromHP that I think can be used to accomplish this? But I want your input.What I want is a complete fresh install of Windows 8 with no remnants ofWindows left on my hard drive.Can this be done, and how do I do it? HP has never let me down in the pastfifteen or so years, so please don't start now. 8-)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Win10-back-to-Win8/td-p/5727416
Relevancy 59.77%

The topic title should already make it clear what I want to ask but I will ask none the less Today I used Internet Explorer and immediately I got a pop-up that advised me to download the file GetWindows -MSN exe so that I could upgrade to Windows Now because I have the Homepage of Win8.1? Is worth to it Win10 upgrading from IE set to the Is it worth upgrading to Win10 from Win8.1? official Microsoft website Address below I thought it to be save to Is it worth upgrading to Win10 from Win8.1? download that file and it was TSE - MBAM and Virustotal gave no warning what so ever My IE Homepage Microsoft Official Home Page Now of course I have not installed it because I know very little about Windows at the moment So one of my questions is is it worth upgrading from Windows to Windows Yeah I know it looks like a obvious choice does it but still An other question is if I decide to upgrade to Windows will I keep everything I have on my Desktop or would I loose everything on both my SSD On which I have Windows and my HDD Yeah I know DVD are cheap but if I where to loose everything then I will first need to buy a big pack next week nbsp

A:Is it worth upgrading to Win10 from Win8.1?

You have about 30 days to switch back if you don't like it, which is a good thing.

Firstly - You may lose your data due to unforeseen errors. It's a rare occurrence, but you don't want to be a statistic.

Secondly - In a lighter vein, Windows 10 is the biggest Junkware in the world. Be careful when you try to remove Potentially Unwanted Programs, Windows 10 doesn't get removed.

Thirdly - Are you aware that Microsoft wants Windows 10 to aggressively collect as much data about you as possible? This is no different from what Google and others do, obviously, but the exploits and their data collection policies are alarming. If you're privacy conscious, you may want to tweak a few settings during the installation. If you're paranoid about a company's data collection policies - Use a Guide to reduce privacy risk.

It also depends on what kind of computer you have, really. Is it a touchscreen? Are most of your important software Windows 10 compatible?

Everyone on here can give you great advice - better than mine, frankly. They'll list all the pros and cons more accurately, but it really depends on how you feel about using it. Are you comfortable with it? Do you like the smoothness and the interface and the settings? You have to decide it yourself within a month. Nobody can decide better than you yourself, no matter what we say, really.

Like it or hate it, Windows 10 is a good product despite its many exploits, bugs, data policies and flaws.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/is-it-worth-upgrading-to-win10-from-win8-1.56261/
Relevancy 59.77%

I got me a laptop which has Windows10 on it. For personal reasons, and I do not want to start an argument as to why I would want to "downgrade". Can I activate Windows 8.1 with my Windows10 license?

A:Can I use win10 license to activate win8.1?

Short answer - No

Basically every licence is tied to a particular OS and type, Also OEM licences which are the type supplied with new hardware also have additional limitations. You would also have to source drivers for 8.1, which may or may not be available. There have sometimes been included downgrade licences available on previous OS versions( mostly to business, but sometimes to home users), these are not, as far I I know, being offered at all with Windows 10

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/74411-can-i-use-win10-license-activate-win8-1-a.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I have an Acer Aspire S3-391-6046 and am wondering if it is eligible for a free Windows 10 upgrade?  (i.e. Was the stock Windows 8.1 installed with the PC actually Win 8.1 RT? How do I find out? Thanks, Jim

Solved!
Go to Solution.

A:Aspire S3-391-604 with Win8 eligible for Win10?

jlandwehr61,

The system in question is not on Acer's eligible model list, but that doesn't mean that it cannot be upgraded. What that means is Acer will not be providing driver support for the upgrade to Windows 10. In fact I upgraded one of our S3-391 notebooks here for Windows 10 use and it is working just fine. 

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-10/Aspire-S3-391-604-with-Win8-eligible-for-Win10/td-p/372126
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi.
We have some computers with Windows 8 installed in a public library for the public to use. They are locked down tight with local GPO and is not in a domain since they need only Internet access. We have now switched to Windows 10 as OS on new computers and I was wondering if I could some how just copy the local GPO from the old Windows 8 computer so I did not have to run through all options and set the them again in order to lock the new computers down as tight due to security. Has anyone any idea if this is possible?

Relevancy 59.77%

I have an Acer Aspire S3-391-6046 and am wondering if it is eligible for a free Windows 10 upgrade?  (i.e. Was the stock Windows 8.1 installed with the PC actually Win 8.1 RT? How do I find out? Thanks, Jim

Solved!
Go to Solution.

A:Aspire S3-391-604 with Win8 eligible for Win10?

jlandwehr61,

The system in question is not on Acer's eligible model list, but that doesn't mean that it cannot be upgraded. What that means is Acer will not be providing driver support for the upgrade to Windows 10. In fact I upgraded one of our S3-391 notebooks here for Windows 10 use and it is working just fine. 

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-10/Aspire-S3-391-604-with-Win8-eligible-for-Win10/td-p/372126/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 59.77%

I upgraded two computers from win8 retail to win 81. One totally failed and had to removed the hard drive and put it in my working computer, to roll it back to win 8.0. It would not boot at all not even to bios after that fiasco. The other computer went just fine. The MSI P7N motherboard with core2duo did not work after running and first reboot, it was left with a black screen. Had to remove hard drive put in other computer (newer with quad core, etc.. win8.1) and roll it back then put it back in the computer which had the fail. I still don't know what failed. I think that computers older than 5 years just don't have the proper hardware for Win8.1, but maybe wrong.

A:win8.1 upgrade win8.0 to 8.1 2 computers, one failed

New Windows 8.1 requirements strand some users on 8

I think that computers older than 5 years just don't have the proper hardware for Windows 8.1, but maybe wrong.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/34549-win8-1-upgrade-win8-0-8-1-2-computers-one-failed.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Is it possible to upgrade from Win8 32bit to Win8 x64bit or trick the PC into thinking its x64bit so I can install x64bit programs

A:Is it possible to upgrade from Win8 32bit to Win8 x64bit

No, you cannot trick it and you cannot upgrade. You can format and start over.

Is there a particular reason you want to get 64bit apps? Is it to take advantage of more than 4GB of RAM?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/17535-possible-upgrade-win8-32bit-win8-x64bit.html
Relevancy 59.34%

News broke today, 1/12/16, that Microsoft stopped its support for Windows 8, as well as IE. All of this in favor for Windows 10, which has been on the news alot, and even popping up in my computer, like all of you have experiencing.

So if support for Win8 has stopped, two questions I have to ask:

1) Is Windows 10, both getting it and having it, bad?

2) If you want to stick with Windows 8, what can you not do anymore, and what can you do if something happens and you need them?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/73439-so-microsoft-stopped-supporting-win8-win10-bad.html
Relevancy 59.34%

My Y500 will not run many games in Window 10. A few have worked but most will not run. Tried installing with Admin privileges, setting compatibility as suggested but only steam games and Crysis will run. Odd because my desktop comuter running Win 10 seems to run them fine. Most of my games are FPS and are older, COD series and the like. COD2 MW runs in steam but now steam has trouble starting. UT3 works but thats a steam game. 

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-P-Y-and-Z-series/Goodbye-Win10-hello-Win8-1-clean-install/td-p/3449850
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello

I have a asus vivotab8 that had windows 8.1 on it. I used these reg edits from this post

Power Options - Add or Remove "Min/Max processor state"

to create the minimum and maximum processor state entries on my windows 8.1 tablet power management entries (which didn't have them).

Now that I have updated to windows 10, those power management options have disappeared again. i dont know why they were missing in the intial windows 8.1 and now in the windows 10 upgrade version also. But the registry edits really helped a lot. As my tablet suffers from severe lag otherwise, unless I set minimum cpu to 40%.

I was wondering is it safe for me to use those windows 8 registry edits on the windows 10 operating system to bring them back? As desperately need to set a higher minimum cpu use.

regards

A:Min Processor State in Win10 Missing - can i use win8 fix?

This is the Windows 8 forums. You would do better asking your question in our sister site -- the Windows 10 forums: Windows 10 Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/71138-min-processor-state-win10-missing-can-i-use-win8-fix.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I have an Acer Aspire 5755-9674, which came with Win7.  I got the "Upgrade to Win 10" pop-ups like everyone else, and proceeded.  After the upgrade process, I did a clean install of Win 10.  All is mostly good.I get a random FREEZE once per week or so - there is no pattern. Researching the issue, the first advice is to ensure drivers are all current.  This leads to my question: When running Windows 10 on a laptop which only has driver support for Win 8.1, is it better to use the Acer Win 8.1 drivers, or the Microsoft Win 10 drivers that were installed during the upgrade? For example, my current SATA AHCI Controller driver is a Microsoft driver from 2006!  The Acer driver for Win 8.1 is 2012.  I am concerned that installing a Win 8.1 driver on Win 10 will disable my laptop! Advice or other experiences appreciated.Mike

http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/Acer-Aspire-Use-Win8-drivers-for-Win10/td-p/448635
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi everyone while there seems to be lots of discussion around Win and its phoning-home abilities Windows - Shut down Windows telemetry with Win updating to Win7 Win10 Prevent Win8.1 Spy Disabler I ve found less info on solidly preventing Win and Win from downloading Win updates in the first place I ve just spent a bit of time tightening my system to prevent Win here are the steps I ve taken remove individual Windows Updates responsible for downloading Win delete the hidden folder where Win gets stored C WINDOWS BT re-configuring Windows Updates checking your system with GWX Control Panel Here are the steps in detail I started with the How-To Geek article How to Stop Windows Prevent Win8.1 Win7 updating to Win10 or from Downloading Windows Automatically which links to the software GWX Control Panel and AddictiveTips article What Is The WINDOWS BT Folder On My Hard Drive Win users need to locate and uninstall KB and KB Win users need to uninstall KB and KB Uninstall both updates and reboot Search for the folder WINDOWS BT located on your C drive and delete this hidden folder Open Windows Updates gt Change Settings and make sure Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them is selected With this option selected you can monitor your future updates to prevent the updates KB KB KB getting reinstalled see st screenshot Finally I then downloaded GWX Control Panel checked it with Virustotal and ran it Happily it came up with no Win whatsoever see nd screenshot Please note as I uninstalled KB some time ago I didn t have the WINDOWS BT folder I came across the How-to-Geek and AddictiveTips articles and decided I needed to do these extra steps This guide is really just a combined summary of the two articles so Thank You to both Thank You also to the Ultimate Outsider for creating GWX Control Panel Time will tell if these steps are enough Hope this is of use to you nbsp

A:Prevent Win8.1 Win7 updating to Win10

@Chigwells

Here is alternative method for W8.1 only.

1. Clean install OS using Media Creation Tool
2. Select "Do NOT download\install Windows updates" option
3. When setting up newly installed Windows, disable "Automatic Windows Updates"
4. When perform very first Windows Updates, hide (right-click on KB) the following updates (NOTE: some KBs shown below are not related to W10 upgrade - search online for KB # to get infos & make list)

NOTE: In configuring Windows Updates you should choose "Download, but let me decide which to install..."

https://malwaretips.com/threads/prevent-win8-1-win7-updating-to-win10.54766/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hey,
I am currently looking to buy a 2 in 1 laptop - a lot of those are still from Windows 8.1 days and come pre-installed with it. Does anyone know if there will be any option to upgrade them to Win10 for free in the future?

A:Upgrading pre-installed Win8.1 to Win10 after July

Not that I know of.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/433574-upgrading-pre-installed-win8-1-win10-after-july.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi I am Newbie Win8.1 Win10 needs advice ==> moving new here I need to update my laptop and my desktop both of which are running Windows Pro x On both computers there is quite a lot of software installed and Window is quite old and running rather slowly A Newbie needs advice moving Win8.1 ==> Win10 I should do a clean install If so exactly how do I do this OR B I should I just follow the instructions on the screen about how to upgrade to Window And if I do this after I run the upgrade will I need to find and re-install all licenses for all my software And will I lose all my settings if I do this I have already taken a copy of my documents and email files onto an external hard disk But - Should I take a copy of all my documents onto a DVD-R for archive too - Should I try to take a copy of the whole disk using a freebie such as Macrium Reflect in case it all goes wrong Anything else I need to know J

A:Newbie needs advice moving Win8.1 ==> Win10

Originally Posted by ship69

Hi

I am new here.

I need to update my laptop and my desktop, both of which are running Windows 8.1 Pro x64. On both computers there is quite a lot of software installed and Window 8.1 is quite old and running rather slowly...

A) I should do a clean install ? If so exactly how do I do this?

OR

B) I should I just follow the instructions on the screen about how to upgrade to Window 10?
And if I do this, after I run the upgrade, will I need to find and re-install all licenses for all my software?
And will I lose all my settings if I do this?

I have already taken a copy of my documents and email files onto an external hard disk. But:
- Should I take a copy of all my documents onto a DVD-R for archive too?
- Should I try to take a copy of the whole disk using a freebie such as Macrium Reflect, in case it all goes wrong?

Anything else I need to know?

J

A) The method for doing a clean install is given in the tutorials here: http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/

B) If you do an upgrade install, your software should continue to work. There is a chance that some of it won't work properly unless it is re-installed, but that is fairly rare. Most settings should be carried over, but a few may not be.

Saving documents: always a good idea.

Imaging the Windows installation before doing an OS upgrade: always a good idea.

I haven't been following the discussion about when the free upgrade expires, but you're perilously close to being out of time, if it isn't already too late. Ah, well, it's only money. (Something over $100US per license, I don't know what MS wants in ?.)

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/57680-newbie-needs-advice-moving-win8-1-win10.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I bought 3 win8 keys from MS way back in 2012. Two of them are unused. I can not find the actual keys. They were on a piece of paper I can't find. I do have the "Registration Confirmations" acknowledging the keys will be sent. And I did get them.

Does anyone know if there is anyway I can get those keys?

I have tried googling for a key but everything it shows seems to be a crack of some sort.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/75440-need-win8-long-enough-install-win10-cant-find-my-key.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I updated my Acer Aspire E 15 (E5-521-23kh) 8.1 to windows 10. the next day my password wouldn't work. Also the power off icon has been remove from password page. What can I do???

A:Password not working day after I upgraded Win8.1 to Win10

Did you link your user account to a Windows Account during update/installation? If so try you Win Account password.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/password-not-working-day-after-i-upgraded-win81-to-win10/501.html
Relevancy 59.34%

A year ago I bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 that came with Windows 8.

Unfortunately, I upgraded to Windows 10 several months ago. It has been such a nightmare I want Windows 8 back.
Can I just buy a new copy of Windows 8.1 and clean install it on my laptop? Someone told me once its been upgraded to Windows 10 that I can't do that, but that just doesn't seem right.

I'm not very savvy when it comes to doing a reinstall. I'm not sure what to buy and I want to make sure trying this won't brick my computer. OEM, Full, etc seems like there is so many things to consider when trying to buy just a regular old version of Windows 8.1.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

A:Can I do a clean install of Win8.1 after upgrading to Win10?

Check whether you have a recovery partition. You could reset to 8.1 from there without any problems with the key, etc. You have a legal 8.1 system. No need to buy an 8.1 key.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/43104-can-i-do-clean-install-win8-1-after-upgrading-win10.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Does anyone know how to get rEFInd to recognise Windows 10?
Currently it just ignores Windows 10 and boots in Windows. Halfway into the Windows booting, an MS screen (blue) appears asking me to choose between two different Windows 8.1 installations. One of them is in fact the Windows 10. I want to choose from the rEFInd menu at bootup.
Any idea how to achieve this?

A:rEFInd with dualboot Win8 - Win10 and Linux

In My Case.. This Link helped.
[Solved]dual boot windows 7 and arch linux / Installation / Arch Linux Forums

Windows 10 repairs Bootloader on every boot.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/56701-refind-dualboot-win8-win10-linux.html
Relevancy 59.34%

We've applied our corporate image to many Surface Pro 's without issue nbsp All of those came with out of box nbsp However we just received our first new Surface Pro that came with Windows installed nbsp After applying our Windows image using MDT the exact same way as we image all our machines including surfaces the TPM is locked out and bitlocker protectors aren't added nbsp When I try to quot Prepare the TPM quot manually in TPM MSC console I get the message quot The TPM on this computer is currently locked out quot and I never get the option to Clear Reset etc as those remain greyed out nbsp I've tried leaving the machine on for over full day and the quot timeout quot has not expired nbsp I don't even know how it's possible that the TPM is locked out nbsp This was new freshly unboxed nbsp Did Win do something different with the TPM that Win doesn't like nbsp Will we need to do something with our Surface hardware that comes with Win to prepare it before we simply re-image it with our Win image Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e25a4cbd-7f39-46eb-9042-3fa053615431/tpm-lockout-after-reimage-to-win81-from-win10-out-of-box-on-surface-pro-3?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 59.34%

A year ago I bought a Lenovo Yoga 2 that came with Windows 8.

Unfortunately, I upgraded to Windows 10 several months ago. It has been such a nightmare I want Windows 8 back.

Can I just buy a new copy of Windows 8.1 and clean install it on my laptop? Someone told me once its been upgraded to Windows 10 that I can't do that, but that just doesn't seem right.

I'm not very savvy when it comes to doing a reinstall. I'm not sure what to buy and I want to make sure trying this won't brick my computer. OEM, Full, etc seems like there is so many things to consider when trying to buy just a regular old version of Windows 8.1

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/74275-can-i-clean-install-win8-1-after-upgrading-win10.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi to all,It looks that since I migrated from windows 8.1 to windows 10 (on an HP laptop), no program can successfully write to a CD drive (either built-in or external USB). It looks that any CD will not be recognized (medium error message or so), Any idea on the problem ?Thanks in advance for your help.

A:No Win8 program in Win10 can successfully write to CD drive

I'm using Nero 2016 Platinum on Windows 10 without any problems.What error messages are you seeing if any or what happens when you try to burn. What is the failure?Were you able to burn with these drives when you had Win8.1 installed?message edited by THX 1138

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/no-win8-program-in-win10-can-successfully-write-to-cd-drive/369.html
Relevancy 58.48%

This what my disk partitions are What are those partitions numbered I have not changed the partitions from beginning In the beginning while installing win i partitioned the complete hdd GPT like C D E F X C for Default Windows and D for any other OS for dual boot Now at starting There was no dual boot I installed Win on C and D was empty When Win prev came I installed w on D with dual boot After that How Win8.1 to from Win10 boot dual remove compleeeetely I installed different builds of w on D few times but w was not reinstalled on C it was as it is after st installation In Jun I reinstalled w on C And I also reinstalled w after its release on Jul I'm writing all these because I don't know in which partition the boot manager is I know in How to remove Win10 compleeeetely from Win8.1 dual boot disk management it's showing C but I don't know why but now-a-days system starting process from pressing quot on quot key to w user login screen has became bit slow After pressing quot on quot it takes min secs to reach OS selection screen So I want to remove w and it's boot manager if any completely and make the w just like if it's installed in empty hdd without dualboot

A:How to remove Win10 compleeeetely from Win8.1 dual boot

3 healthy partitions:
1 of windows 8.1
1 of windows 10
1 of the manufacturer

I don't know about the unallocated partition.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/70109-how-remove-win10-compleeeetely-win8-1-dual-boot.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I'm wondering how to use my migrated Win8 Retail license on my next machine. It will be a few years from now and well past the free upgrade offer.

I've used Showkey and I'm not sure if what it returns will be usable. If memory serves me (don't trust it myself) I think it's either the default Win10 Pro key or my Win8 Key (I'm on Win8 now, will post an image next time I'm on Win10).

The default Win10 certainly won't activate and the Win8 key will not upgrade after 29 July 2016.
The digital entitlement won't be valid - that's for the old machine.

It will most likely require phone activation and that's not a problem. I'll just have to remember that's how Win10 will activate given this scenario.

Remember: it's a Retail licence
I understand and comply with all of the legalese (one machine, remove from old...)

Any thoughts?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/53943-retail-win8-upgraded-win10-use-license-new-machine.html
Relevancy 58.48%

how can I find bitdefender I installed bitdefender on windows 8-1,up graded to windows 10, cant find bitdefender

A:Can't find Bitdefender program on Win10 upgraded from Win8.1

Does Bitdefender appear in "Control Panel > Programs & Features"? If it's the free version you could uninstall it then install it again to see if that gets you out of trouble. If it's the paid version you would need to be sure you have what is necessary for the re-install.Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanks

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/cant-find-bitdefender-program-on-win10-upgraded-from-win81/78.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Note Please don't ignore this question if you think that it is a wxWidgets application without reading complete question and should look by wxWidgets development community Hi I work on a wxWidgets application project say X It works fine on Win but it crashes on Windows and Windows nbsp My application X calls an executable say Y issue Win8.1 on Ntdll.dll!_NtWaitForMultipleObjects@20() Win10 and crash as blocking call as mentioned below wxString lName WDir wxT quot my log quot int ReturnCode wxString lCmd IDir wxT quot Y exe -l quot lName ReturnCode int wxExecute lCmd wxEXEC SYNC the argument quot wxEXEC SYNC quot alone or with wxEXEC BLOCK or wxEXEC NOEVENTS In times Y crashes and so X crashes to Ntdll.dll!_NtWaitForMultipleObjects@20() crash issue on Win8.1 and Win10 times and the call stack points quot Ntdll dll NtWaitForMultipleObjects quot When I calls Y in standalone mode in a test program Y called by other executable with the same argument mentioned above it does not crash It crashes only when nbsp I call from my wxWidgets application project In the code Y it sometime crashes while creating a file or closing a file So my question is nbsp quot When an application X calls an executable Y and the executable Y do some operation where it requires switching the Win or Win system API sends the parent thread X as dead status for Y and X starts to dispatch the event loop for closing Y but Y suddenly wake up after completing the operation Since parent X thread already detached it as a result Y did not get its parent and crashes in quot Ntdll dll NtWaitForMultipleObjects quot quot But the same behaviour is not in the standalone mode Y launches by other exe say Z Why this happens nbsp I hope you understood my question if not please ask you concern Regards Nilesh

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/553c70b8-9f7d-4dcc-806c-99d5578ada1a/ntdlldllntwaitformultipleobjects20-crash-issue-on-win81-and-win10?forum=w8itproappcompat
Relevancy 58.48%

I have Windows 8.1. I booked a Windows 10 before its premiere, and on the release he appeared for download in Windows Update. But I changed my mind and I do not want upgrade. But now I can not install the updates to Windows 8.1 because it always starts install Windows 10 even though it unchecked. I canceled my reservation but it did not help. What should I do?

A:How to stop installation of Win10 but install Win8 updates

Hello after, and welcome to Eight Forums.

If you like, you can use the tutorial below to disable the "Upgrade to Window 10" update.

Upgrade to Windows 10 Update - Enable or Disable in Windows 7 or 8.1 - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/71530-how-stop-installation-win10-but-install-win8-updates.html
Relevancy 58.48%

I've got a question for the Pro's ...

This is regarding my ASUS Tablet with Windows 8.1 Professional x86 installed (Windows is activated of course).

The Tablet currently has Windows 10 reserved and after looking at this post, i took a curious look at the KB used to reserve it and noticed that KB2952664 was applied .

Can anyone let me know as to why Windows Update applied KB2952664 to reserve Windows 10 when that is a Windows 10 Reservation for the Windows 7 x86 systems ???

I am pretty well versed in Computer Hardware and Software (though i am no Master in those fields) and this is kind of a confusing update applied.

I am all ears LOL !

Thanks a bunch!

A:Why WU Reserved Win10 in a Win8.1 System Using a Win7 KB Update??

I'm not sure why Windows applied that update but the update to reserve Windows 10 is KB3035583 for both Windows 7 and 8.1.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...gnin1.0&s=myce

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/375780-why-wu-reserved-win10-win8-1-system-using-win7-kb-update.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi System Image Win8.1 Win10 using Macrium of from Reverting Help answering a few questions please would be appreciated If I revert from Win back to Win by restoring an old Macrium system image am I going to have any activation issues under Win And given that Win has now been activated on my machine what'll happen if I keep Win until after th July next year and then decide that I need want Win after all My machine's Win activation is on Microsoft's servers now so maybe as a result of that I'll now be able to put Win back after the free upgrade offer deadline Or will reverting to Win undo that ability And also another option for me is Reverting from Win10 using Macrium System Image of Win8.1 to revert to Win as suggested above and then dual boot with Win on a second SSD using as my update license an old deactivated copy of Win Home Premium Retail that I have from an old machine How long will it be until the newly Reverting from Win10 using Macrium System Image of Win8.1 publicised option is available to clean install a Win ISO using Win or Win license keys rather than having to do the annoying in place upgrade before being able to clean install Thanks

A:Reverting from Win10 using Macrium System Image of Win8.1

Yes you can Restore Windows 8.1 without issue using Macrium..

Since your PC has a recorded windows 10 activation -
you can clean install windows 10 anytime, forever on that PC..
Just skip over when asked for product key..

Yes it is also said the new version will accept 7/8.1/10 product keys as well..

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/71870-reverting-win10-using-macrium-system-image-win8-1-a.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello,

I received the free win 10 upgrade from an invitation to reserve the upgrade. The other day, a Ransomware hit me, and though I believe I may have immediately tracked & deleted all affected files I could find, I hardly believe I could be so skilled as to be successful.

I had this happen last year, and ended up formatting the unit, and reloading Win 7. I don't want to have to go back to 7, but how do I get another Win 10? Is there a key I need to find & save? A free site that I can get a copy on a flash drive to load from? Any help would be appreciated. I have no clue how to proceed since it's an online download, and once formatted, the unit won't be able to get online without the OS

Thanks

A:I have Win10 from upgrade, must reformat PC. How do I get Win10 again?

you can download the newest build of windows 10 > http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softw...load/windows10

boot from the setup media - remove every partition (wipe) the HDD

and clean install widows 10

since you already had win7 and windows 10 on that PC - if asked for product key - just skip that screen

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/32366-i-have-win10-upgrade-must-reformat-pc-how-do-i-get-win10-again.html
Relevancy 57.62%

What's better, upgrade a Win8 to Win8.1 or purchase Win8.1 ?

Harold

A:Win8 Upgrade or Win8.1 New Install

Upgrade the Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 is FREE.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/31929-win8-upgrade-win8-1-new-install.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Last Fall I bought my wife a Dell All In One with Win8 installed. I seldom, if ever use it for I am sticking with 7 for now. She has Live Mail, Firefox installed and that is about it. No apps other than those that came with the machine.

Is it worth while upgrading to 8.1 and then 8.1Update?

If so, what is the simplest way to go about it?. Not necessarily the cheapest but the easiest.

Thank you very much.

A:Upgrade from Win8 to Win8.1Update

To upgrade from 8.0 you have to do it through the Microsoft store. When you do the upgrade from the Store to 8.1, you automatically will get 8.1 update 1. I just did the upgrade about 10 days ago and discovered this when i did the upgrade.

Windows 8.1 - Update to from Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/44773-upgrade-win8-win8-1update.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I just downloaded the Technet version of Win8 Pro. When trying to UPGRADE the RP version, I keep getting a message to "remove install media, boot windows normally, and then add the install media afterwards". Of course, nothing happens when I reboot, heh. It LOOKS like I will have to do a clean install on my SSD which I just cloned so no big deal. BUT, if someone manages to upgrade, please post the procedure!

EDIT
Will I be able to upgrade WIndows 8 Release Preview to RTM without - Microsoft Answers

Nope, looks like a clean install is needed but the personal files can be kept... I will let you know.

A:Cannot upgrade to Win8 Pro Retail from Win8 RP.

The way I had heard was you would be able to use an Upgrade Version of RTM if you had RP installed. It would still do a clean install but save your personal files. It was to satisfy the requirement to have a previous version installed for the Upgrade key to work.

Jim

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/8321-cannot-upgrade-win8-pro-retail-win8-rp.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hoping for some help Superfly with a similar issue sorry if i'm threadjacking can move it if needed Thinkpad W purchased last summer shipped with Windows Pro but i do not have an email or car with the license key I added on media center which required a separate key which I have Earlier this year i kept getting the upgrade to message and i finally gave in to end the annoyance It went fine though i had to recreate various settings and such About a month later i started to get the activation notifications I spoke with MSFT to said i was not on a Windows Pro retail license thanks to their pushed upgrade instead of my OEM which i suppose makes sense None of the license keys i had work for activation Trying to make it go away by throwing money at it instead of time i bought licenses of Windows Pro Windows Pro and Windows Pro Pack None of them worked So now I don't know Win8 upgrade To gone Win8.1 wrong what to do which has lead me Win8 To Win8.1 upgrade gone wrong to this thread See below for a diagnostic tool report Any ideas on what i can should do I'm hopeful to find a license key and or hot fix to make this go away as i Win8 To Win8.1 upgrade gone wrong really do not want to have to do a clean install of Windows Thanks Tool Version Licensing Status In Notification Licensing Status Reason xC FE Local Genuine State Invalid Licence Local Genuine Result P Last Online Genuine Result Grace Time Minutes Total Grace Days Validity Expiration Active Partial Product Key JK QT Active Win8 To Win8.1 upgrade gone wrong Product Key Pid - - -AA O S Version Product Name Windows Pro with Media Center Processor Architecture x Edition Id ProfessionalWMC Build Lab winblue r - Time Zone Eastern Standard Time GMT- Active Sku Id fd e -c dc- ba -a a-e d Active Sku Description Windows R Operating System RETAIL channel Product Uniqueness Groups c -d - d - e-d ec f f Active Product Key P Key Id ac f-c c- - -f df c a Active Product Key Pid Ex - - - - - - - Active Product Key Channel Retail Active Volume Customer Pid Offline Installation Id Domain Joined false Computer Sid S- - - - - - Product L C I D User L C I D System L C I D Code Signing SIGNED INFO PRS SIGNED Service Available true Oem Marker Version x Oem Id LENOVO Oem Table Id TP-GN Manufacturer LENOVO Model BH LUS Install Date - Result PASS Tampered Items Server Props xc f Errors from Event Log Message Installation of the Proof of Purchase failed xC F Partial Pkey FDG ACID Detailed Error Time Written - Message Installation of the Proof of Purchase failed xC F Partial Pkey M ACID d b c- cd - f - a-f f d a Detailed Error Time Written - Message Installation of the Proof of Purchase failed xC F Partial Pkey M ACID d b c- cd - f - a-f f d a Detailed Error Time Written - Message Installation of the Proof of Purchase failed xC F Partial Pkey M ACID d b c- cd - f - a-f f d a Detailed Error Time Written - Message Installation of the Proof of Purchase failed xC F Partial Pkey BQH ACID Detailed Error Time Written - Message Installation of the Proof of Purchase failed xC F Partial Pkey BQH ACID Detailed Error Time Written - Message License Activation slui exe failed with the following error code hr xC C Command-line arguments RuleId e c - da - a f-ad - d a c ba Action AutoActivate AppId c -d - d - e-d ec f f SkuId fd e -c dc- ba -a a-e d NotificationInterval Trigger TimerEvent Time Written - Message Acquisition of End User License failed hr xC C Sku Id fd e -c dc- ba -a a-e d Time Written - Message License acquisition failure details hr xC C Time Written - Message Acquisition of End User License failed hr xC C Sku Id fd e -c dc- ba -a a-e d Time Written - Message License acquisition failure details hr xC C Time Written - Message Installation of the Proof of Purchase failed xC F Partial Pkey PJ Y ACID e -b e - d d-b a- c af b f Detailed Error Time Written - Message Installation of the Proof of Purchase failed xC F Partial Pkey PJ Y ACID e -b e - d d-b a- c af b f Detailed Error Time Written - Message Installatio... Read more

A:Win8 To Win8.1 upgrade gone wrong

Hi and welcome to EF.

Seems you have tried a few key installs that failed ( currently you have the correct key installed which is a full WMC key that should not rely on a base qualifing Pro licence)
Anyway, the licencing store got corrupted - although there are no specific corrupted files as such, it may be prudent to run command prompt - admin:
sfc /scannow

Then try to activate with:
slmgr -ato

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/67907-win8-win8-1-upgrade-gone-wrong.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Before I upfrade to win 10 I'd like to upgrade to win8.1 pro I have legit disk I bought, but when I try to install I get a message "serial number not match any on system" or something like that. I wiped the C drive but kept the recovery drives and still the same result. Restored the system to factory. Any ideas short of buying a new HD, and if the number is embedded in the MB then it won't help anyway.

A:How to upgrade from preinstalled win8 to win8.1 pr...

the product key is embedded on BIOS and honestly is not worth upgrading to windows 8.1 and then windows 10, it's better if you upgrade directly to windows 10. if your system has Home version sand you want the Pro version, you can simply upgrade to widnows 10 and then change the product key on it, it will switch to Pro version automatically. or you can do a clean windows 10 install and once at desktop change the product key http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7209-product-key-change-windows-10-a.html 

http://community.acer.com/t5/V-and-VN-Series-Laptops/How-to-upgrade-from-preinstalled-win8-to-win8-1-pro-Have-disk/td-p/427317/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 56.76%

After upgrading to Win10, and installing all available drivers for my system from support.dell.com, Device Manager shows that an "Other Device" called "PCI Encryption/Decryption Controller" has no driver installed, and cannot find one. From stuff I've found online, it appears I may need the Intel Trusted Execution Engine, but obviously I'm not sure, and I don't know if Intel has even released a version that is compatible with my machine and Windows 10.
The PCI Encryption/Decryption Controller's Hardware ID is: 
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_0F18&SUBSYS_06671028&REV_0E
Anybody else have this issue, and has anybody figured out a solution?
Thanks!

A:Upgraded Inspiron 15 3531 from Win8.1 to Win10, need driver for PCI Encryption/Decryption Controller

I have the same issue on a Dell Inspiron 2 in 1 but no solution.  Did you find one?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19656412
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello,

The basics (FW/BIOS and HW make) for this post are contained in:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/foru...p-1080977.html

I made dual-boot HP PROBook 450 G3 using ONLY UEFI settings in 64 UEFI BIOS (legacy OSes excluded). I installed two of them: WIN10 64 PRO and WIN8.1 64 PRO.

While passing through BIOS it nicely ends within WIN bootloader showing me two entries: WIN10 and WIN8.1.

While using the same entry from before, it nicely ends up in OS. But while switching from one to another OS, it ALWAYS passes via one more BIOS warm restart/reboot.

The question here: why it does that?

Thank you,
_nobody_

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/while-switching-from-win10-to-win8-1-and-vice-versa-one-additional-bios-warm-reboot-1080985.html
Relevancy 56.76%

once the update started it rained go maybe 15 seconds and just shut my computer off entertainment a bloatware screen say that the software ran in to an error and it would restart itself. I let the computer along for over an hour and finally restarted the system muse us in the power button.  once I went to restart the system I only got a blackberry screen my computer is out of warranty and your dell bios update killed my motherboard I called dell they told me in not so many words my motherboard was Fried and they would not replace it.  If I gave some on software I wrote and they installed it and it had no warning it would fry the I computer thatbwould be data to someone's personal property... DELL is this how you value your customers?

A:got the windows 10 free upgrade and used the dell diagnostics tool to upgrade driver and bios everything worked fine until the update of the bios!!!!

I called dell they told me in not so many words my motherboard was Fried and they would not replace it.

Dell just saying it's a "possibility" the motherboard might need to be replace. No one can tell you that motherboard is definite "Fried" without first looking at the system.
What is the system model number and version of windows before upgrading to windows 10? Example: Dell Inspiron 3543, windows 10
You're able to boot into BIOS(F2 key) and diagnostic (F12 key) ?
1. Power off computer
2. Power on computer, quickly start tapping F2 key ( BIOS) or F12 key( BIOS) continuously

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19988802
Relevancy 56.76%

once the update started it rained go maybe 15 seconds and just shut my computer off entertainment a bloatware screen say that the software ran in to an error and it would restart itself. I let the computer along for over an hour and finally restarted the system muse us in the power button.  once I went to restart the system I only got a blackberry screen my computer is out of warranty and your dell bios update killed my motherboard I called dell they told me in not so many words my motherboard was Fried and they would not replace it.  If I gave some on software I wrote and they installed it and it had no warning it would fry the I computer thatbwould be data to someone's personal property... DELL is this how you value your customers?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19988802
Relevancy 55.04%

I upgraded Vista x64 Ultimate to Win 7 x64 Ultimate.

The upgrade went fine - no major issues with the upgrade process.

I am, though, having some small issues when running 7:

1. Outlook 2007 process remains open after closing Outlook.
2. Very slow closing certain programs/games.
3. Gadgets doesn't work.
4. Occasional empty folder pops up on taskbar that I can't close.
5. WEI for my SATA3 HD is 2.9 - 500GB Seagate
6. System shutdowns take forever

The system, overall, seems to be quite responsive but the problems I'm running into are somewhat frustrating

Not sure if these have been addressed in other threads yet, as I'm still searching them. I'm guessing that part of it may be due to MB driver issues, but not sure - running an EVGA 780i MB.

Thanks,

Terry

A:Win 7 Upgrade worked fine, but a few issues...

Your problems are probably all related to the fact that upgraded instead of a fresh install either that or you have disabled UAC

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/1728-win-7-upgrade-worked-fine-but-few-issues.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hmm, we can't reach this page.

Try this

Make sure you?ve got the right web address:

This has been the message, I've gotten ever since trying to use Microsoft Edge, any suggestions?

A:Microsoft Edge has never worked since my WIN 10 upgrade

Does any browser(s) work? For example, Firefox, Chrome or Internet Explorer 11?

http://www.tenforums.com/browsers-email/43318-microsoft-edge-has-never-worked-since-my-win-10-upgrade.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I am not sure if I have win 8.1 pro or win 8.1Says 8.1 pro in mscinfo but doesnt allow me to install win 8.1 pro features. Anyway that is not the issue I am writing about. Issue is , I had my laptop crashed 1 month after I installed Win 10. it required HD replacement by HP, at which stage I was told not to ugrade to win 10 as my laptop will not handle it. My Question is:free upgrade to wn 10 ends soon.what happens when my OS will no longer be supported by MSWhat is actually the problem that causes HP notebooks to crash? Is there a feature in win 10 that can be turned off to avoid causing the crash?Atleast we can keep up with the updates!! Need some help to understand what the actual issue is and if there has been some workaround found by now.SD

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Win10-upgrade-deadline-arrived-cannot-upgrade-what-next/td-p/5688369
Relevancy 53.75%

2 out of my 3 computers were upgraded no issue.

My last one is a 2008 with an Asus P5N-MX with a E8400 processor.

As stated in the title, I was able to complete the upgrade but I have a black screen if I leave a video cards. I swapped many and the video cards are ok. I will get a display if I use the port on the motherboard. Unfortunately, it won't do better than 1024 x 768.

I was able also to install NVIDIA utility and I saw my GT 630 listed in the device managers, it even ran 1920x1080.... until in a reboot it rejected it and uninstalled it. I did the same with my RADEON/AMD card and same result.

Is it enough to conclude that my motherboard is not compatible with W10 or should I try something else?

A:W10 upgrade worked, but it won't accept any video card + no sound.

I'm not sure.

That motherboard uses the nVidia nForce 610i chipset. The latest drivers at Visual Computing Leadership from NVIDIA for it are for Windows 7.

The 32 bit US English version is here:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/30521/en-us

There are also drivers for 64 bit:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/drive...px/30520/en-us

You may have to manually install them to get them to go on. (I had to do something like that with a laptop from 2008 with an nVidia chipset and an AMD CPU. Its 8200m g graphics were officialy supported by nVidia for Win 10.)

I'm not sure that it's worthwhile upgrading such a system from Win 7, but I wouldn't bet that it's impossible.

http://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/28145-w10-upgrade-worked-but-wont-accept-any-video-card-no-sound.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi guys.

I'm currently trying to update windows 8 Pro to windows 8.1 Pro on an Asus laptop. When I tried to update from the app store, it prompted a message saying that "something has happened..." and the update was not able to download. Is there any way to update it? Please let me know what is required.

If more details are needed, please do let me know also.

A:Upgrade Win8 PRO to Win8.1 PRO

Have you tried here---

Update to Windows 8.1 from Windows 8 - Windows Help

Are you using a Microsoft account ?

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/53636-upgrade-win8-pro-win8-1-pro.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi

I'm surprised that nobody else has this problem, but I've searched and can't find an answer...apologies if I've not looked hard enough but I decided to post a question because this is 'urgent' to me.

I had 2 children's accounts in Win 8, and had local Parental Controls. Upgraded OS to Win 10, and now I can't manage Parental Controls in Win 10 locally, so I 'think' I need to set up 'online Profiles' for them.

However, all their game progress, profile settings, etc are on their local profiles - how can I get all this data to be on their online Profiles? I didn't want to copy and paste folders (such as AppData) without knowing that this was a 'safe' way to do this.

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Rgds,
Andy

A:How to copy user accounts in Win8 to online accounts in Win10

Hello Andy,

Have a look at the following tutorial which shows how to change a local account to an online one.

Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 10

Hope this helps

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/38452-how-copy-user-accounts-win8-online-accounts-win10.html
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi I had Windows Pro x on an old hard drive GB I installed a new hard drive GB and did a clean install of Windows on the new hard drive using my Win CD key It worked fine for two weeks I never booted into Win again but every time I booted it gave me the option of Windows vs Windows Always picked Windows Then last night I wanted to use that old hard drive with Win for storage I formatted it via Windows and secure erased it via gparted on a live USB--this did require disabling secure boot but I re-enabled it after secure erasing After rebooting Windows won't boot quot no bootable devices detected quot The hard drive with Win is still recognized in the BIOS no problem But even in the BIOS it's not seen as a UEFI bootable device What I've tried so far Startup Repair using the Win USB live installer tool thing -- quot Startup repair couldn't repair your PC quot Log file is blank sadly bootsect nt C mbr Win8, old Previous Win10 boot now dual-boot: deleted won't - gt it works successfully saying quot successfully updated NTFS filesystem bootcode quot and quot bootcode was successfully updated on all targeted volumes quot but I still can't boot bootrec fixmbr - gt completes successfully still can't boot bootrec rebuild bcd - gt finds the Win install I select it and then it says quot the requested Previous dual-boot: deleted old Win8, now Win10 won't boot system device cannot be found quot I ran diskpart and here's what I'm looking at Code List Disk Disk - Online - GB - B under free - blank under Dyn Previous dual-boot: deleted old Win8, now Win10 won't boot - under Gpt That makes me worried Should it be Gpt It shouldn't right Code List Partition Partition - Reserved - MB under size - KB under offset Partition - Primary - GB under size - MB under offset Shoot this looks bad too right Shouldn't I have partitions I did a clean install and it was with quot raw unallocated space quot But somehow only two partitions Code List Volume Volume - C - NTFS - Partition under type - GB under size - Healthy under status - blank under info -- Am I SOL Is this unsaveable I had no idea it was so bad to format a hard drive I hadn't even booted from in weeks but maybe that Win hard drive was handling some UEFI booting responsibilities that weren't passed onto the new Win clean installed hard drive

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/51565-previous-dual-boot-deleted-old-win8-now-win10-wont-boot.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I have been having so many problems with the Windows 10 installation I'm thinking about going back to Win7 until MS works out all the bugs in Win10.

My PC came with 8.1 and updated to Win 10. Win10 was fine until the last major update when everything went h--- in a hand-basket. Update reset everything to defaults, installed apps I'd uninstalled.

Question: Can I remove the HD with win10 and put it on the shelf until MS gets it running. I want to install a bare HD and install a valid genuine Windows 7 OS on the bare drive. Is there anything I need to know before I give this a try? I know I'll have to reinstall all programs and all missing win7 updates...

Will I be able to install the Win 10 HD at a later date, install updates and be back up and running under Window 10 user accounts?

A:Install Win7 to replace OEM win8.1 w/Win10 install

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
Since you're talking about a separate win-7 installation on the machine your plan is sound and exactly how you should do it

You might in your bios have to disable fast start and possibly secure boot but otherwise you shouldn't have any problems installing win-7 fresh
You might have to gather drivers if this is a laptop but a desktop would have no issues windows updates will provide most
If you review device manager and see if any unknown device listings are there just post about them same goes for installation of win-7 issues.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/388231-install-win7-replace-oem-win8-1-w-win10-install.html
Relevancy 51.17%

When I upgrade my 32 bit win 7 computer to win 10 can I choose to upgrade to 64 bit win 10?

A:Upgrade from 32 bit win 7 to 64 bit win10

You cannot do an in place upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. Going from 32-bit to 64-bit requires a clean install.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/56098-upgrade-32-bit-win-7-64-bit-win10.html
Relevancy 51.17%

At the moment there is a promotion up to 29 July to upgrade to win10 from win7 home premium 64bit ok
So I downloaded the Microsoft upgrade assistant to win 10 and all ok. But it get stuck at 99% and stop there ok
Then the worst is it is a hell of a job to get win7 back cause it comes up with a black screen ok
Contacted Microsoft and told me to contact you to help me solve this issue
Already contacted you through twitter few days ago but no reply
Thanks if you try to solve this problem before expires tnx
mind you get stuck 99% during installing ok
contacted Microsoft and told me to get in touch with you maybe you already came through such a problem
please thanks for trying to solve before promotion expires
regards
John Mifsud
product serial # [personal information removed]

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrade-to-win10/td-p/5690815
Relevancy 51.17%

My wife's computer could not upgrade to win 10 cause it had an old video card. I upgrade motherboard and video card. Win 7 is registered, but can not upgrade. The free upgrade tool still shows the other video card. Tried the media creation tool and still goes back to the upgrade box with the old card. Is there anyway to erase that upgrade box and redue it?

A:Help with win10 upgrade

Check for any left over files or drivers from your old video card. Windows is still finding it somewhere. Check your device manager 1st just to see if its listing 2 video cards, then check your program folders for any left overs. Also just for backup reasons, download a program on this forum called Showkey which will give you the information on your currant Windows Key, incase you need it to upgrade to Windows 10.
Showkey

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/35032-help-win10-upgrade.html
Relevancy 51.17%

I have an older laptop (probably 6-7 years old, Dell Inspiron running Windows 7) and its been running fairly slow lately. I saw a notice that today is the last day to upgrade to Win10 for free. Just looking for some good advice on whether or not I should even consider upgrading.

My first thought is that, with an older machine, I probably have a lot of junk on my hard drive causing the slowness so I need to clean it up (which means I'll miss the "today is the last day" bit...but do I really care?). I also think maybe my processor won't be able to handle the new version, but not sure if that's really a concern or not.

Can I ask for some advice? Thanks

A:Should I upgrade to Win10?

I saw a notice that today is the last day to upgrade to Win10 for free.Click to expand...

it not - July 2016 is
whats the exact model and also the service tag number
make sure there are windows 10 drivers available for the PC

you could always make a recovery set of DVDs (if you havent already , and i would advise you make them anyway) and do a windows 7 clean install

you may have a lot of startups or even malware on the PC slowing it down

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/should-i-upgrade-to-win10.1163500/
Relevancy 51.17%

my pc is   HP TouchSmart tm2-2150ca Notebook PC       with win7.   tried to upgrade to win 10  but failed.   ideas?   Thanks!

A:win10 upgrade

Hi, Do you know what is the error message ? No error message we or Microsoft won't be able to help. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/win10-upgrade/td-p/5610594
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi Folks,

I just found this on my Laptop.

Windows 10 Specifications.pdf

A:Win10 upgrade is not possible.

Hi,
Not sure why you wouldn't just use this to fill in your system spec's page instead of posting a pdf :/
System Info - See Your System Specs

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/375534-win10-upgrade-not-possible.html
Relevancy 51.17%

Has anyone upgraded to Windows 10 on the hp 110-414 have you got any problems or bugs with it and is it running well on it and do you think I should upgrade

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Hp 110-414 Win10 Upgrade

Because you may find that you need to install the Windows 10 driver for it after upgrading. With most notebooks there are two or three different adapters that could be installed. It helps to what is installed in yours.  Use the search functiion in the forum and search for windows 10 wifi driver. You will notice that many members did not take the time to either locate the driver or know what is installed. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Hp-110-414-Win10-Upgrade/td-p/5579588
Relevancy 51.17%

When Win10 was released, I was offline.
Now I can't upgrade! I've reserved an upgrade, but it won't ask me to upgrade!

A:Can't upgrade to Win10

Welcome to the forum,

It hasn't asked me yet either, but that doesn't mean you can't upgrade.

You can do it manually, starting at step three here,

Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/377550-cant-upgrade-win10.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I upgraded my WIN 8 Pro laptop to 8.1 and now it appears that I only have the standard 8.1, not 8.1 Pro. Stupidly, I assumed that the system would recognise the fact that it was replacing the Pro version and install accordingly. How can I confirm the version I have and, if it is the standard 8.1, how do I retrieve my Pro license?
Any help gladly received. Thanks, Stu

A:Win8 Pro upgrade to 8.1

to check version open run or command prompt and type in ,winver

did you get the update from the Microsoft store

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/53365-win8-pro-upgrade-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 50.74%

On a friends laptop, the error code 0xC1900101-0x40017 comes up.
It reverts back to win8.0?

A:win8.1 non upgrade

Following the instructions here..

Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/40390-win8-1-non-upgrade.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I think my hardware is inadequate to the task.

"Windows Setup" - "This platform is not supported." seems to be all I can get from Microsoft.

Probably the limitation is my AMD Sempron 3000+ CPU and not the motherboard (Asus M2A-VM) or the RAM (4GB).

Where can I learn which Socket AM2 CPUs will work? Is there a truly definitive source?

Thanks in advance for all your help (and comments and cute shots about shoddy old equipment).

A:Upgrade an Old XP Box to Win8

More digging.
Coreinfo reports NX, PAE, SSE2 in place. Further it indicates PrefetchW, LAHF-SAHF and CMPXCHNG16B are all present.
Could not find any NX switch in BIOS, so consensus is NX is enabled.

Stumped.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrade-an-old-xp-box-to-win8.213777/
Relevancy 50.31%

who and why is anyone going for the free Win10 upgrade ? I do online stuff and gaming.... I do not have a tablet.... at current our computer run Win 8.1. I signed up a while back for the free Win10 upgrade.... is there a thread for this discussion already?

A:who and why is anyone going for the free Win10 upgrade ?

Lots of Windows 10 news here ... Windows 10 News - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/68757-who-why-anyone-going-free-win10-upgrade.html
Relevancy 50.31%

hi everyone!
i am runing a toshiba satelite using windows 7. the laptop originally came with windows 8, i couldnt bear the change so i switched back to 7 and today i want to get a legit copy of windows 10 -- that will last for over 1 year -- installed after reinstalling windows 8 (my win 7 isn't licensed). after running "ProduKey" i found a "windows BIOS OEM key" that apparently belongs to the OEM win 8.

can i install 8.1 with my win 8 OEM product key?
can i upgrade directly from windows 8 to 10 or do i need to update from 8 to 8.1 and from there upgrade to 10?
can i use the retail win 8 istallation files with an OEM product key or do i need the toshiba OEM installation files?
thank you very much for any help!
Udi Perets

A:in need of help with OEM win 8 istall and upgrade to win10

No need to install windows 8 - just install windows 8.1 via ISO and then upgrade to windows 10 via ISO
windows 10 just needs to see the activation of windows 7 or windows 8.1 to activate itself..

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/69802-need-help-oem-win-8-istall-upgrade-win10.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I have now decided to bite the bullet and go for the Win10 upgrade. Before I do I would like to know more about the procedure, Can anyone direct me to a good source of information on the subject.

A:Info on Win10 upgrade with ISO.

What version of windows are you currently running

Make a back up of all your data

Download the ISO file and upgrade from this site
https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/info-on-win10-upgrade-with-iso.1166347/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi all trying to upgrade my desktop self-built from Win to Win but it keeps getting stuck at configuring settings Since at that point there is no task manager or anything and my system has Win10 at upgrade keeps stuck 86% getting no hdd activity light it's hard to tell if anything is still happening The system has an ssd so should not be slow I've updated several laptops also crappy Win10 upgrade keeps getting stuck at 86% ones with slow hdd and it worked for all of them never taking longer than couple of hours Now the upgrade on my desktop has been running for hrs mostly stuck at that point I tried to upgrade it once already last fall and then I did not have this issue But system was very unstable and hence unusable with win and hence reverted back to So what are my options to troubleshoot I only have keyboard and mouse attached both USB and no other USB devices There are lots of applications installed and configured dev environment for my personal projects so I would really really like to avoid a clean install If it matters it it win professional and there is enough free space on c drive Should I unplug mouse and keyboard or even display dvi-d

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/57202-win10-upgrade-keeps-getting-stuck-86-a.html
Relevancy 50.31%

My current computer has a retail copy of Win8. I'm building a new PC this weekend and I want to utilize the free upgrade to Win10 from my current retail version of 8, but I understand the free upgrade is tied to hardware.

Would my best option be to migrate Win8 to the new PC and upgrade from there? Alternatively, would I be better to just upgrade to 10 now and then migrate to the new PC afterwards? I imagine I can just discover the product key using something like Belarc Advisor, but then I don't know if the key will be accepted for activation on the new hardware... Thoughts?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/win10-upgrade-and-migration-to-new-pc-1082401.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi everyone, this is my first visit and post and I hope you can assist
where others have failed. I have tried to install Win 10
on two machines and neither of them would work, both telling me that the CPU was not
good enough or words to that effect.

PC1 has Intel Pent G3220 3.00 GHz Haswell chip.

PC2 has Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00 GHz.

Both of these are way over the required
minimum spec so I cannot understand why Win10 will not install.

A:Unable to upgrade to Win10 or even try it out.

Welcome to the forum. Its likely either your cpu cant handle PAE, NX and SSE2 or its not set in the bios

To test for PAE, NX, and SSE2, download a program called "CPU-Z" and run it. On the main window, look under the "Instructions" heading for SSE2, EM64T (which also indicates the processor supports PAE) and either VT-d or VT-x, which is required for NX support. If you have all 3, then you are good to go.

http://www.pchelpforum.com/windows-7-a/127011-unable-upgrade-win10-even-try-out.html
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello i have a L50-B-1P1 laptop and i`m experiencing a few problems after windows 10 upgrade
1 R7 video driver missing so no catalyst present therefore i have low frames and frezess in games
2 Microphone producing garbeld voice when recording

I know that the series is discontinued but there should be some kind of fix for the problems i`m experiencing atm.

I don`t want to downgrade to wind 8.1/7

A:Sattelite L50-B-1P1 after win10 upgrade

What are your exact spec, Processor, RAM and OS type 32 bit / 64 bit

Depending on what it is you may be able to use the new AMD Crimson drivers instead. I have a L50D-C-13G and I abandoned the catalyst drivers for Crimson drivers and my machine is running great. I have an A10-8700P Carrizo R6 with windows 8.1 and it works great for me. The driver lists compatible hardware, read through it and see if your machine is supported.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-arti...tion_16.2.aspx

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?90722-Sattelite-L50-B-1P1-after-win10-upgrade
Relevancy 50.31%

The WIN10 free upgrade deadline is here, and I cannot seem to upgrade my Split X2 easily... at least by using SETUP.  Is there a known way to do so?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/I-would-like-to-upgrade-my-HP-Split-X2-to-win10-but-cannot/td-p/5703508
Relevancy 50.31%

After installing the Win10 Home Premium Upgrade to my HP G60-549DX Notebook, It tells me it did not activate and I get error code 0x803F7001. Can/Will someone tell me what do do PLEASE. Thank you.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Win10-Upgrade-not-activating/td-p/5705607
Relevancy 50.31%

You have Win10 Upgrade questions?  THIS has Win10 Upgrade answers

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/583598/win10-upgrade-answers/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi,
I am having issues with USB devices dropping since I upgraded to windows 10. I have tried updating device and use drivers, reinstalling devices and changing power settings for devices. This is a pain as I need to regularly make skype business calls and can't now via headset. Any help greatly appreciated.
Later
Anthony

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/windows-29/usb-dropping-win10-upgrade-4598526/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi all, i have a Precision M4700 with windows 7 SP1 OEM, i'm confused, can i install windows 10 pro for free or do i have to purchase an upgrade license (if i do it now, before the 29th July) ?
Consider i work in an Enterprise environment but the license applied to my PC is the OEM, not the one under Corporate agreement.
Thanks for a clarification/confirmation.

A:Win7PRO OEM upgrade to Win10

HIRYU79,
Yes, you can upgrade to Windows 10 for free. You will also need to update the drivers to Windows 10 as well. Click the link below to download the drivers for your M4700.
Dell Precision M4700 Drivers and Downloads

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19985747
Relevancy 50.31%

I know someone with a Vista (Business) PC and he received a free upgrade notice to Win10. Is this correct and if so does it just mean that the OS will be installed without saving apps and files?

A:Free Win10 upgrade

I know someone with a Vista (Business) PC and he received a free upgrade notice to Win10. Is this correct and if so does it just mean that the OS will be installed without saving apps and files?Click to expand...

The free upgrade applies to qualified computers that are running Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8/8.1.

It does NOT apply to computers that are running Windows Vista.

-----------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/free-win10-upgrade.1152502/
Relevancy 50.31%

Been a long time 5+ years since I reloaded windows. Is it better to reload it and go to Win10 or
Just go to Win 10 and hope for the best.... Only problem is the browsers are running a little slow
and have to be restarted

Gary

A:Win 7 from scratch before Win10 upgrade?

Going straight to Windows 7 and using Windows 7 key to activate it is generally more reliable than upgrading.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/45754-win-7-scratch-before-win10-upgrade.html
Relevancy 50.31%

l had an issue with windows update which required me resetting components.. afterwards l made sure to check for the updates l dont want, not one of the get windows 10 ones was present (granted l didnt look at each support article as l was behind by a few on the laptop which l havent started in a little).

however l do have a list of the updates l dont want to install.. yet the win 10 upgrade is back l removed the program dir manually because l couldnt find an associated update.

just wondered if anyone knew if there was a newly labelled one.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/396053-there-new-win10-upgrade-update.html
Relevancy 50.31%

How long generally does it take to upgrade to Win10 from Win7. Does it depend on HD & Processor?
I have an SSD and AMD Triple core 3.10GHz.
Win7 is pretty new clean install about 1&1/2 weeks old.

A:Time: Upgrade to Win10

Roughly 1 hour maybe 1.5.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/40961-time-upgrade-win10.html
Relevancy 49.88%

I had a media center upgrade key for some time which I got for free. Recently I decided to activate it so I could watch digital TV on my PC. However, I noticed that this key is now is now the new product key for my machine and the original seems to be gone forever.
Can I re-install and activate Windows 8 using the media center upgrade key if I need to, cause it's the only key I've got now?
If this isn't possible, can someone recommend some kind of disk imaging backup software that will preserve my activated copy so that I'll not have to install from disk/usb again. Thanks.

A:Need to re- install Win8 but only have a WMC upgrade key..

Hello Nalydyenlo, and welcome to Eight Forums.

If this is an OEM PC that came with Windows 8 preinstalled, then the W8 product key is embedded in the UEFI firmware and will automatically be detected and entered whenever you install the same edition of Windows 8 on that PC.

A WMC key will not activate W8. A WMC key is only good to add WMC to W8.

If you like Macrium Reflect Free is a good option to create a system image with.

Imaging with free Macrium - Windows 7 Help Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/38109-need-re-install-win8-but-only-have-wmc-upgrade-key.html
Relevancy 49.88%

Would all computers using Win7 be upgradeable to Win8?? I'm thinking about buying a Toshiba all in one touch screen with win7 installed.I read a review that stated the model could not be upgraded because drivers were not compatable. The model is LX835-d3250. This is a recent model release with few reviews and find it hard to believe that's the case. If true I will not buy the model since I want win8 with touch screen.
I can find no info on this in any spec. or manuf.web site. Any knowledge of this??

A:Win7 to Win8 upgrade..??

Welcome to EightForums.

Take a look here:
Upgrade to Windows 8 - Toshiba

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/14580-win7-win8-upgrade.html