Windows Support Forum

Windows 7 login screen switch user button problem

Q: Windows 7 login screen switch user button problem

I have hide all of my administrator account from login screen on windows7 by editing registry entry "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows NT \CurrentVersion \Winlogon\SpecialAccounts". Now I have only one power user account. I can't
login with admnistrative account because there is no switch user button on login screen. Even if I click on switch user button from start menu this will load the login screen with the power user and I don't have any option to change the username.

How can I get rid from this?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows 7 login screen switch user button problem

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows 7 login screen switch user button problem

Hi,
I see two choices:
-by safe mode (pressing F8 before windows load), you should be able to modify your regkey
-by right click maintening "shift" key on regedit then "run as different user" you should be able to enter your other credentials

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9002ccce-8f0f-434a-b55c-f44323d61c9f/windows-7-login-screen-switch-user-button-problem?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 97.18%

Friend of mine has got problem with his desktop (XP SP2) , when he starts the PC it boots normally till it reaches where it shows windows XP logo then the screen gets blank (i.e he can not see the login name for users).

What he used to do: is press the sleep button on the wireless keyboard, then after that press the hardware switch on/off button (not the reset button) on the tower of the hard box.

After pressing switch on/off button, he gets directly (pay attention to this) to the login screen where he can see the usernames for all users.

He has to do this procedure every time he would like to boot the desktop

A:Press sleep button and switch on/off button to be able to see login screen

VGA is NiVida with dual outputs, similar to below image

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/97/PCI-Express-graphics-board.jpg

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/press-sleep-button-and-%1Cswitch-on-off%1D-button-to-be-able-to-see-login-screen.729006/
Relevancy 86.86%

Hello,

I've searched the forum and could not find an answer to this problem.

I have a Windows 7 Enterprise machine where at the login screen the "Switch User" button is missing and so I am unable to clear the last user.

Just about all the results I got back on this topic was how to re-enable the "Switch User". This doesn't help because I can't login to make the change.

TIA!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/385049-how-switch-users-login-screen-when-switch-user-missing.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Hi all Some Background I'm currently administrator of a couple different groups of computers at a university and I've been looking into changing the layout of the logon screen I've found a lot of information but something that I have wanted from the start has eluded me What I'm trying to and button switch screen logon Trying to with make user guest account do I'd like to set the logon screen or welcome screen I suppose to display only one available account the guest account that I have personalized for professors or students to use not the same as the default Windows guest account I would also like to have the option to switch users at the logon screen preferably Trying to make logon screen with guest account and switch user button with the on-screen button that says switch users which I can't seem to get to display using my methods System Specs All of the PCs I am administrating have some differences Simply put I have a bunch of desktops running Win Pro x and a bunch of NetBooks running Win Starter x What I have tried I've made my attempts on one of the NetBooks thus far since I can carry it around On Win Starter it seems that quot Switch User quot is disabled but I think it is still in the PC because when I tried a Registry Hack that hides all user accounts except the one that was last logged into I had the option to switch users but only when the account I last used had a password The guest account does not and cannot have one Anyway the registry hack I just mentioned involves going to HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft WindowsNT CurrentVersion ProfileList and creating a bogus key under the ProfileList key I also tried a similar thing to the above which didn't work I can't remember what it was though I have also tried hiding the default administrative account I made while keeping the other account visible but this results in me not being able to log into that account from the Login screen and the system will automatically login to the guest account because it doesn't have a password Not necessarily a bad thing but I need a way to get into the other account This was done by changing HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft WindowsNT CurrentVersion WinLogon SpecialAccounts UserList and adding the account to hide as a bit DWORD Don't hide all of your administrator accounts in this fashion or you'll be screwed FYI The third thing I tried was adding an entry for fast user switching and enabling disabling it in HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Polcies System and adjusting the quot HideFastUserSwitching quot key This didn't seem to have any effect I also tried various combinations of the above but that didn't get me the outcome I was looking for either This has all been on the netbook but I'm looking for a solution that will work on the NetBooks and the Desktops Closing Statements That's it thanks for any help

A:Trying to make logon screen with guest account and switch user button

Your best bet probably would be do not display any accounts.
Log On with User Name and Password

But your users would have to memorize login. Or you can write a little note right on the Welcome screen wallpaper by editing it in Paint and changing it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/178002-trying-make-logon-screen-guest-account-switch-user-button.html
Relevancy 86.86%

there is no switch user option available at windows 7 start up/lock screen (when you are asked to enter your password) i want to log in as a domain user but i can't log in due to there is no switch user option available at start screen, 
can any buddy help me in this regards

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2a5eecce-6d03-4bf6-be21-7fa604fb626c/switch-user-button-is-not-there-at-lockstart-up-screen-how-to-join-domain?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 86.43%

Hi All,

Whenever someone in my family walks away from using the computer with Windows Vista, after the Screen Saver, I'm always taken to a screen that allows only the last user to log back in, but when someone else wants to log in, they need to hit the "Switch User" button to go back to the regular login screen.

My question is... Can I have the computer just go back to showing all the user's names (so I don't have to click the "Switch User" button to login as me). I would like this to work, just as XP did... so if the last person who used the computer has to log back in, s/he would just have to click their name again...just like XP did.

Thanks so much!
CG

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/133381/how-do-i-bypass-switch-user-screen-to-login-as-another-in-vista/
Relevancy 78.69%

Earlier today I turned on my Toshiba laptop Satellite P -S and got some sort of error screen and then it brought me to a screen asking if I wanted to do a system repair or start windows normally I chose system repair but then it seemed to get stuck in that process It was taking forever and nothing was happening so I turned off the laptop I know big no no booted in safe mode and did a system restore to a restore point from about a week ago The quot starting Windows quot screen came and went no problem Everything seemed fine till I got to the User Selection screen the default blue one with the little hummingbird or whatever Then it just sat there on that screen I could see the hummingbird and the little squiggly lines but there were no buttons to click my user I just let it sit there and after about minutes the user names popped up and Windows takes the screen 7 user forever load select user/switch to I was able to continue using the computer without any problems no other speed Windows 7 takes forever to load the select user/switch user screen issues whatsoever It now makes me wait every time always about Windows 7 takes forever to load the select user/switch user screen minutes before the user names pop up It does this when I restart the machine and when I try to switch users It is a Pentium Core i Ghz GB RAM Windows Home Premium bit Let me know if you need any other specs Any ideas Thanks Tim

A:Windows 7 takes forever to load the select user/switch user screen

Work through these steps for Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start.

The steps begin with disinfection from Safe Mode or boot disk, since if Win7 is badly infected it may not repair until cleaned up. Then everything possible to start it is sequenced.

I would also do the hardware tests provided before rescuiing the data to run Recovery or get the superior Clean Reinstall.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/274499-windows-7-takes-forever-load-select-user-switch-user-screen.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi All,

Whenever someone in my family walks away from using the computer with Windows Vista, after the Screen Saver, I'm always taken to a screen that allows only the last user to log back in, but when someone else wants to log in, they need to hit the "Switch User" button to choose a different name.

My question is... Can I have the computer just go back to showing all the users' names (so I don't have to click the "Switch User" button to login as me). I would like this to work, just as XP did... so if the last person who used the computer has to log back in, s/he would just have to click their name again...just like XP did.

Thanks so much!
CG

A:How do I bypass "Switch User" screen, after ScreenSaver to login as another in Vista?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-bypass-switch-user-screen-after-screensaver-to-login-as-another-in-vista.687787/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi All,

Whenever someone in my family walks away from using the computer with Windows Vista, after the Screen Saver, I'm always taken to a screen that allows only the last user to log back in, but when someone else wants to log in, they need to hit the "Switch User" button to go back to the regular login screen.

My question is... Can I have the computer just go back to showing all the user's names (so I don't have to click the "Switch User" button to login as me). I would like this to work, just as XP did... so if the last person who used the computer has to log back in, s/he would just have to click their name again...just like XP did.

Thanks so much!
CG

A:How do I bypass "Switch User" screen to login as another in Vista?

Is this after the screen goes to a screensaver, or just anytime you switch users?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/134435-how-do-i-bypass-switch-user-screen-login-another-vista.html
Relevancy 77.4%

On windows professional -bit sp if a current user is screen locked the lock screen indicates the current user name and account is logged on and the computer is locked I am using Classic Logon in group policy and under local policy-security options-interactive logon i have it set to display username and account info the option with most information the problem i have is say a user is logged in and then I need to use the computer at that point the lock screen says so and so is logged in and locked I do a switch user log in and do my thing then log out Now the screen goes back to the base login screen saying 'ctrl-alt-del' not saying any user is currently logged in Now if that original user does log back in all his stuff is still here and everything acted like a basic screen lock happened so no problem there but what i want to happen is after a switch user logs out the screen goes back to the lock screen displaying who has the computer locked is there a way to do that thanks

A:Switch User then logoff, back to ctrl-alt-del login not previous user

At a guess, I'd say Classic Logon is the culprit here, as I do not have this issue with Windows 7 64-bit SP1 with the default login screen. Changing this is likely impractical next to the simple solution of ditching Classic Logon (It's an ancient artifact by now)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/332214-switch-user-then-logoff-back-ctrl-alt-del-login-not-previous-user.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hello All
Is it possible to get rid of the 'Swicth User' option when logging off from only a selection of account users?, the reason i want to do this is that i have four users on the one computer, which is running Windows XP, and one of the account users needs the 'Switch User' facility to allow various programs to run constantly.

Or, is it possible to have a Warning message display before being able to log-off, or when choosing to log-off.
Any help or ideas would be grateful

regards
Livio

Relevancy 75.25%

I have a computer in the breakroom at work, which is running Windows 8. We normally don't use W8, so I am new to it. Apparently an employee logged into the computer with their personal account, then left the company. The screen shows her account logged in, with a blank password box, and no option to switch user. A reboot of the machine comes back to the same screen.

I was able to get into the Advanced Boot Manager and go into Safe Mode, but the same user login screen comes up in Safe Mode also.

I just need to get this user logged out and get back to the main login screen so that anyone can login to the machine. This is a simple step in W7, just can't seem to get it done in W8.

A:Cannot Switch User or Logout User, no one else can login

Hello kc5hwb, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Do you have a back arrow in a circle button at the top left of the user's picture on the sign in screen?

Signing in to Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/55794-cannot-switch-user-logout-user-no-one-else-can-login.html
Relevancy 74.82%

I have modified the registry so that HideFastUserSwitching = 0
Makes no difference.
I need this button back.  No one but me can log onto this computer.
Thank you.

A:Cannot Enable Switch User Button

StrongEagle,
You do not mention what Operating System you have installed. At the link below is a link that shows instructions for enabling/disabling Fast User Switching in the registry.
Enabling/Disabling Fast User Switching

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19674651
Relevancy 73.96%

Well some months ago our switch user button just disappeared from the start menu. I tried fixing it myself and looking around on the internet but I could not find an answer nor could I get it to work again. I am afraid to use system recovery or backup because I do not want to uninstall virus protection or anything.

How can I do this please. I sometimes do not want to log my account off and have to log back in and wait for everything to load.

A:Switch User Button Involuntarily Disabled

In the start menu, type services.msc then hit enter.

Look at the Secondary Logon service and make sure it is set to automatic and started too. If not started, do so and reboot.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/switch-user-button-involuntarily-disabled-485090.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi,

I have Windows 7 Pro and have two accounts, a Standard User and an Administrator account. The logon screen by default shows two icons, one for each account. I want the logon screen to default to only showing the Standard User account and have the admin account accessible by clicking the Switch User button. Is there a way someone knows of doing this?

thanks

A:only display one account with Switch User button

Try this

Run>secpol.msc

Local policies -> Security settings

Find the entry "Interactive Logon: Hide last user..." and set it to activated.

Reboot.

For 7 and Vista

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/94...ount-hide.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/93371-only-display-one-account-switch-user-button.html
Relevancy 73.96%

I am having an intermittent problem logging into Windows 7 and it seems to be getting worse, so I was hoping someone might be able to help me.
What happens is: After turning on my Computer and selecting my profile. I type my password, then hit Enter on my keyboard to log in. Nothing happens. And if I try to click on the log-in arrow nothing happens either. To fix this I can sometimes click the Switch User button, which will quickly switch to a black screen and then back to the profile chooser(then it sometimes works to log-in), but other times it just displays the log-in background, then I have to restart my computer to try again.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thank You,
Tristar

A:Windows 7 Login Screen button stops working

Hello Tristar and welcome to Seven Forums.

Depending on how long you've been experiencing this problem, you might be able to use a restore point to return your computer to a date/time prior to when the problem first began.

System Restore

If you have difficulties logging in you might have better success by accessing Safe Mode through Advanced Boot Options.

Safe Mode

Malware could also cause the problems you're experiencing. If you haven't already done so, do a full scan with your installed anti-malware suite. Since no anti-malware program is 100% effective 100% of the time (if there was such a thing we'd all be using it), I also recommend running full scans with these free products:

Malwarebytes

ESET Online Scanner

Windows Defender Offline (This requires you to make a bootable CD/DVD/Flash drive because it will bypass the usual startup procedure. Best to create the bootable media on a machine that is known to be malware free.)

It's also possible that you might have damaged or corrupt system files. Try running a system file checker scan from an elevated command prompt (option two.) If problems are found, run th escan 3 times and reboot your computer after each scan.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Please post back if anything helped or not.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/258299-windows-7-login-screen-button-stops-working.html
Relevancy 73.1%

everytime my laptop go sleep then when i wake it up everytime the switch user screen shows up but no password needed
how do i remove this or disable this

A:how to disable the switch user screen in windows 7

Hello nfsworldpinoy,

It sounds like you may need to change the Require a password on wakeup setting to No in your advanced power plan settings.

Password - Require on Wakeup

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/249295-how-disable-switch-user-screen-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hello, I use wake on lan to boot my pc to access and use it remotely. On Windows 7 I remember being able to auto log on with the set password to my account and then have it switch users right away so it was still password protected but my remote connecting software would load. I do not remember how I achieved this on 7 and wish to be able to do this since I have moved to Windows 10. Any help us greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/45449-auto-login-then-switch-user.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hello, I use wake on lan to boot my pc to access and use it remotely. On Windows 7 I remember being able to auto log on with the set password to my account and then have it switch users right away so it was still password protected but my remote connecting software would load. I do not remember how I achieved this on 7 and wish to be able to do this since I have moved to Windows 10. Any help us greatly appreciated. Thanks!

A:Auto login then switch user

Hello Firebird5150 Welcome to the Ten Forums!

I haven't been running anything with a lan or other form of wake up method but perhaps what I use on both 10 as well as 7 and even on VMs to connect desktops back and forth as well as see VMs and a new 10 laptop connect remotely could prove to be a help there. Without spending on a commercial license you can use the Team Viewer program for the substitute of the usual remote access function seen in Windows.

Once the remote pc is woken up you would then simply connect to it by way of the TV program where you can switch from one account to another even when having the hidden built in system administrator account enabled. The process would be a fast logout of one and sign in to the other. That would mean having to re-enter the next account's password being the only inconvenience.

With 10 as well as with 7 the main account still requires a password there for the autologon option. The guide you will need to look over is seen in the 10F tutorial section. Sign in User Account Automatically at Windows 10 Startup - Windows 10 Forums

That's one I still have to go over here since between desktops and vms I get too busy signing in at times! I'm quite sure you are also looking to cut that time down a bit as well. The TV program will get timed out after any lengthy period of inactivity however since you are accessing one to the TV servers to see this type of connection work. Each machine connects to each other by way of the server.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/45449-auto-login-then-switch-user.html
Relevancy 73.1%

I have only one user account in the login screen Recently when I try to log in after my laptop has gone to power saver mode my password is rejected initial login startup is not a problem I try multiple times being very careful and it always gets rejected every time for days now It says quot locked quot under my account icon above the password entry field I hit the quot switch user quot button and the screen refreshes showing my icon and says quot logged on quot above the password entry field I can then successfully enter my password excatly the same as I did before and it is accepted CAP LOCK is off Nothing changes accept the word quot locked quot changes to quot logged on quot What is happening and how can I get rid of this annoying feature bug I have not switch user i until Login locked installed new Login locked until i switch user software I already changed my account password to see if that would help I also deleted the ASP net account Neither one did anything After reading I probably should have keep the ASP net account Help with this new login problem on resuming from sleep mode would Login locked until i switch user be greatly appreciated Thanks

A:Login locked until i switch user

Welcome
try a system restore from a few days before the problem
System Restore

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/131494-login-locked-until-i-switch-user.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Everytime I switch user. Windows automatically puts a password for all the profiles and the administrator password doesn't even work. Everytime I log off to go to another profile. It gives me this error message as soon as i click on it.

A:Login/switch user Error

What version of Windows and what patchs have you installed?

Also are you using Fast User Switching?

See: http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/accessibility/fastuserswitching.mspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/login-switch-user-error.424564/
Relevancy 70.52%

Ok, This has been happening the last few days and it's really getting to me, Anyway the problem consist of error messages on my login password into my windows xp account.

This problem only occurs after i've logged in, for example.

I will get on my account play for awhile then go afk, my screen saver then comes in, I return to my computer type in my password to get back on my windows account and I recieve an invalid password error on my name. I run 3 other accounts on the same computer none are passworded, so I try to enter on one of those accounts and for some reason, they are ALL passworded. really weird.

Eventually to fix the problem I'll restart my computer completely and it'll let me log back into my account.

A:Weird login error after I switch user or screensaver appears

Try to create a new user? Keep all files of the previous account when asked for?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/weird-login-error-after-i-switch-user-or-screensaver-appears-120260.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Originally, when I transferred to another user, I was presented with the user names and could choose one without logging off completely from the current user, i.e. when I returned, open files would remain open.. Something unknown happened and now it is necessary to log off completely from the present user (and close all files) before selecting another user. How do I get back to the original procedure?

Rouoghhew

A:Windows XP, Switch User Problem

Maybe the feature got disable, to enable it see: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/279765

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-switch-user-problem.513506/
Relevancy 70.52%

Recently Problem Windows XP Switch User i started having problems switching users on XP Im able to run user at a time only Windows XP Switch User Problem Every time i try switching to another user i get a quot MediaAccess exe - Application Error quot and from there i have no choice but to restart because it completely blocks everything im doing I have noticed it running in the task manager as MediaAccess exe and MediaAccK exe there may be more im not sure And also in the control panel Im just not sure if its safe to remove it from there because its probably some sort of adware Here is my Hijackthis log file Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMax PNP exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX Smax exe C WINDOWS System hkcmd exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Media Access MediaAccK exe C Program Files Ykeitv Bhds exe C temp salm exe C Program Files Media Access MediaAccess exe C Program Files Internet Optimizer optimize exe C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMAgent exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www ontariodsl ca bandwidth htm R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http red clientapps yahoo com cust ch search html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Internet Explorer provided by Sympatico R - Default URLSearchHook is missing O - BHO BHObj Class - - F D- C- E - A C E C - C WINDOWS nem dll O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run IMJPMIG quot C WINDOWS IME imjp IMJPMIG EXE quot Spoil RemAdvDef Migration O - HKLM Run PHIME ASync C WINDOWS System IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE SYNC O - HKLM Run PHIME A C WINDOWS System IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE IMEName O - HKLM Run SoundMAXPnP C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMax PNP exe O - HKLM Run SoundMAX quot C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX Smax exe quot tray O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS System igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS System hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run REGSHAVE C Program Files REGSHAVE REGSHAVE EXE AUTORUN O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run Media Access C Program Files Media Access MediaAccK exe O - HKLM Run Rqvgo C Program Files Ykeitv Bhds exe O - HKLM Run salm c temp salm exe O - HKLM Run vyz C WINDOWS vyz exe O - HKLM Run Internet Optimizer quot C Program Files Internet Optimizer optimize exe quot O - HKCU Run msnmsgr quot C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe quot background O - Global Startup Adobe Gamma Loader lnk C Program Files Common Files Adobe Calibration Adobe Gamma Loader exe O - Global Startup Microsoft Office lnk C Program Files Microsoft Office Office OSA EXE O - Extra context menu item amp Google Search - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmsearch html O - Extra context menu item Backward Links - res c program files google GoogleToolbar dll cmbacklinks html O - Extra context menu item Cached Snapsho... Read more

A:Windows XP Switch User Problem

You need to do a virus scan. I have been fighting a trojan downloader that installs this and lots of other fun spyware on the computer. Norton does not see this as a virus, but every other AV program I have run does.

You may want to run an online virus scan. www.antivirus.com is the one I use. Make sure to click auto clean.

After removing the virus, I have had to run spyware removal tools to get the rest of the garbage off the machines that had this. I used spybot, ad-aware and microsoft AS to do this. Took all 3 to get it all.

I submitted this to Symantec and they called it spyware and would not update their defs to catch this. Avast did a great job of cleaning it up.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/windows-xp-switch-user-problem-52256.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi, My uncle cannot log into Windows because somehow the user account names are gone from the Windows XP login screen. I mean I can't do a system restore without logging into Windows can I? I tried booting with the Windows XP installation cd. I got to a point where I thought I was about to reinstall windows but I wasn't sure so I stopped. I would rather not reinstall Windows for him if there is a way to get back onto the Windows desktop. Someone let me know what I should try. Thanks.

Relevancy 70.09%

I posted this question earlier but I fixed the problem. Now the answer to what I'm looking for is how can I stop avast from making a black screen popup. I used this tutorial-
How to solve Windows 8 black screen problem after login | Ask4pc
It didnt work. Anything else that will work?

A:Windows 8 Black screen after user login

I've seen something here

Windows 8 and Avast black screen problem with moveable cursor |SOLVED

http://www.eightforums.com/system-security/28098-windows-8-black-screen-after-user-login.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi,
Is it possible to change the background of user login screen in windows 8.1.1 like the attached Photoshoped image??

A:How to customize Windows 8.1 user login screen

Hi TDas and welcome to Eight Forums,
Yes it is possible to customize it all you need to is to right click your taskbar at the desktop then click propreieties then go to "Navigation" tab then check "Show my desktop background on start" Like this:

Now your Desktop background is applied in start and your log-in screen
Hope that helps.

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/52625-how-customize-windows-8-1-user-login-screen.html
Relevancy 70.09%

The other day, a freind of mine was on my computer checking his email, but he didnt check them all, so whenever I log on or off the login screen says I have 13 unread messages (on his hotmail account)
How can I get rid of that message? He likely wont be on this computer again, so I dont want that message staying there forever.

A:Windows user account login screen.

Download TweakUi from microsoft, there is a option to diasble this

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p.../powertoys.asp

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-user-account-login-screen-95471.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hey Folks I have a Windows XP Professional SP running on my desktop PC The problem is sometimes when i start my PC the screen at which we choose Login User Screen Windows frezzes at our Windows User account freezes The pointer is moving fine but the accounts cannot be accessed The icon in the lower left corner used for restarting or shutting down the PC doesn t work Besides this sometimes the screen freezes at quot Windows is loading quot screen Sometimes it just shows a black screen with the pointer in the middle All i can do about this is press the restart button There is no specific pattern about this It happens randomly I have tried running the quot chkdsk quot utility from the cmd but that doesn t seem to help I have a Quickheal Total Security antivirus running on my PC I have performed Screen frezzes at Windows User Login a full system scan but Screen frezzes at Windows User Login nothing has changed I tried scanning using the Spybot Search and Destroy but it does not open I hope you guys can help me with this Cheers

A:Screen frezzes at Windows User Login

I tried scanning using the Spybot Search and Destroy but it does not open.This in itself may point to a problem = infection. You may want to post in the am I infected Forum.Sorry but am totally unfamiliar with your current AV program.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/249543/screen-frezzes-at-windows-user-login/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi there I have had this problem for awhile - the screen dims and brightens dims and brightens constantly but in the past this would Windows user *after* flickers continuously Screen login occur briefly and on reboot be fine for Screen flickers continuously *after* Windows user login several months I am using the high performance power setting and it happens whether I am plugged in or running on battery My screen res is x and the refresh rate is hz the Intel graphics media accelerated driver for mobile interface does not seem to allow me to change the refresh rate This week this has become a constant problem It seems to have started after I downloaded an updated Intel wireless driver The only things other recent changes are that I recently went through a thorough and successful malware removal process using the forum here and since then Windows and possibly unrelated on shutdown and startup attempts to install updates but this process fails I assume it fails because it attempts to update every single time with the same message which I will try to get down and edit into this post on next shutdown login Here are my pc op system specs Windows Vista Home Premium on an HP Pavillion dv laptop Copyright Service Pak Intel reg Core Duo CPU T Ghz GB RAM bit operating system Mobile Intel reg Express Chipset Family Let me know if there is other information that would be useful Thanks

A:Screen flickers continuously *after* Windows user login

I have had the same problem for quite a while. I googled "flickering screen on monitor" or similar and found A windows help page which suggested that I degauss the monitor via buttons on the monitor itself. It also suggested that the problem could be caused by electrical interference, so I moved my wireless phone further away from the computer. Another possible cause is tangled cables; I'm trying to motivate myself to check this. In conclusion, I found that degaussing the monitor worked for a while but requires repetition. I should add that I have a rather old CRT monitor.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/335556/screen-flickers-continuously-after-windows-user-login/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi there
I'm using Windows 8.1 Enterprise RTM

At the login screen I see my user ID and a Guest user. Can I hide the guest user at login screen - I only want to see my user.

I DON'T want to boot in bypassing the sign on screen. (Note this is NOT the same as booting direct to desktop !!!).

This is new in Windows 8.1 RTM - I never had this in previous editions of windows.

(Note I really don't want to DISABLE the account - I just don't want to see it at login).

Cheers
jimbo

A:At login screen Hide Guest User (Windows 8.1 RTM)

Hello Jimbo,

By default, Windows 8 only shows the last account that signed out at sign in. Normally, you would have to click on the back arrow button to see all accounts at sign in.

Other than disabling the account, the only other way that I know of is to set Windows to require users to enter both a user name (email address for Microsoft accounts) and password at sign in instead of just selecting an account and entering it's password.

Sign in with User Name and Password in Windows 8
Hope this helps.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/31734-login-screen-hide-guest-user-windows-8-1-rtm.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello,

Windows did an update the other day automatically (I know, I should turn them off) and when I turned the computer back on it won't take me past login - won't even let me input a password, it just brings me back to the login screen.

Windows Error - YouTube theres a recording of the issue.

Things I've tried;
- Booting in Safe Mode
- Windows repair
- Freeing up space through the command line through the system repair menu. (SSD was near full)
- Unplugging peripherals

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/385615-windows-7-returns-login-screen-after-selecting-user.html
Relevancy 68.8%

OK so I fear I may have messed up a bit but I'm hoping the gurus on here will save me Previously until mins ago when switching my laptop on I was prompted with the login screen where I could select either the Administrator account or Windows login Missing - accounts please help screen user start up on / my Missing user accounts on Windows start up / login screen - please help own personal account I decided that I wanted to hide the Administator account and have only Missing user accounts on Windows start up / login screen - please help my personal account at startup login so began searching online for a how-to and Missing user accounts on Windows start up / login screen - please help found this How to hide the administrator account in Windows - How-To - PC Advisor Followed it step-by-step to the end and then restarted my laptop Now when I switch the laptop on I am prompted with a blank Windows username and password login screen Now of course this wouldn't be a problem if I had a username or password but unfortunately I do not and currently have no way of getting back in to my own account Please can someone shed some light on this I would be forever grateful Thanks in advance

A:Missing user accounts on Windows start up / login screen - please help

Did you try hitting Enter when the User Name screen is on? That should let you proceed if there is no Password. If that works there is a way eliminate the User Name and Password screen.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/398108-missing-user-accounts-windows-start-up-login-screen-please-help.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Our Windows 7 now has all of the user login icons being displayed during boot up. Can this be changed back to the last user to login with the "switch user" login. I work for a K12 district. Our users do not want to see all of the other user's with login capabilities and neither do I. Our other logins are designed for our techs to assist users with computer problems.

Can anyone give me any information on how to return this screen to its original version instead of listing all users. We tried the other choice and that will not work either. Users do not want to type their username very time.

Thanks!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/387226-windows-7-professional-64bit-user-login-screen-change.html
Relevancy 68.8%

My screen hanged and turned black some desktop icons reappear when I move the mouse around http i imgur com tZWSakr jpg I pressed the restart button to restart loading slow and waited at the 'welcome' and 'preparing your desktop' for a few mins and finally reached inside windows and to Profile Cannot Screen cannot login be Hang loaded User Windows, desktop black screen and showed error popup http i imgur com vtS BoE jpg http i imgur com ItQuHNc jpg http i imgur Cannot login to Windows, User Profile cannot be loaded and Screen Hang com o TTU R jpg I pressed the restart button to restart again and this time it cannot login it showed me a quot The User Profile Service failed the logon user profile cannot be loaded Cannot login to Windows, User Profile cannot be loaded and Screen Hang quot error message http i imgur com qzQwOpc jpg pressed restart button few more times and same thing happened Unplugged harddisk wire connector and replugin to ensure firm connection restart again and same problem happens Restart PC and pressed F when PC starting up to go to advanced boot options tried quot repair your computer quot and tried again quot last known good configuration advanced quot http i imgur com K mggc jpg tried all the options in quot repair your computer quot http i imgur com cfyFuI jpg but did not solve the quot The User Profile Service failed the logon user profile cannot be loaded quot problem Tried Method in this article You receive a quot The User Profile Service failed the logon error message but it did not fix the problem so now I am unable to login and stuck with the error quot The User Profile Service failed the logon user profile cannot be loaded quot I can only login to safe mode Sometimes it is slow and hangs in safe mode too Please help Thanks Sometimes I do experience BSOD http i imgur com X yenDU jpg and distorted colors http i imgur com LJoHPD jpg Some misc errors yesterday today screenshots http i imgur com gBaHsNg jpg http i imgur com ippaHof jpg http i imgur com Te Pn jpg http i imgur com XSV B jpg

A:Cannot login to Windows, User Profile cannot be loaded and Screen Hang

Hello Pcwin,

Sorry to hear you're experiencing this issue, so let's work together to solve it.

Please can you run System File Checker - SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker
Please can you run Disk Check - Disk Check

When you are in Safe Mode, please download the following programs off the Internet and run a scan with them:
https://www.malwarebytes.org/
AdwCleaner Download
TDSSKiller Download

Malwarebytes will produce a scan log, upload it here for further investigating.

Thank you,
VinnyBuxton

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/338087-cannot-login-windows-user-profile-cannot-loaded-screen-hang.html
Relevancy 68.37%

If auto-login is enabled there is NO User picture on Login screen
This issue started with Redstone builds.
This was not an issue with TH2.

Many other Insiders have reported this on the Feedback Hub.
I thought it would be fixed by now, but it still exists in Build 14393.5

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/58102-if-auto-login-enabled-there-no-user-picture-login-screen.html
Relevancy 67.94%

When you enter the login screen, one of the user account options is pre-highlighted so that if you simply press "enter" instead of selecting one with the mouse or arrow keys, it'll attempt to log you into that account. I've the need recently to create a standard user account, which for some incredibly frustrating reason is always pre-selected instead of my administrator account (the one I use). I have no idea how to change this so that the administrator account is the one pre-selected.

Yea this is a stupid thing to complain about. But I've gotten used to logging in one way, and it's super annoying every time I forget and try the old way. Especially if I'm not in the best state of mind lol.

Oh, and for some reason creating a Guest account doesn't do this. Admin keeps priority. But Standard users are evidently more important than the admin >.>

A:Changing the automatically selected user account on login screen - Windows 7

Does my description of the problem not make sense, or is there just not a solution?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/changing-the-automatically-selected-user-account-on-login-screen-windows-7-a-652634.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Is it possible to have users but not have their login icon appear on the login screen?

A:Remove user login icons from login screen?

Hello AAAHome,

You could have it where users must enter their username and password at log on to not have any user icons displayed.

Log On with User Name and Password

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/122109-remove-user-login-icons-login-screen.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hello nice people Windows is asking me for a password despite I've never had a password Here's what happened I've never had a password and choose during the win install to have local account without password I used to have login name screen Changing user login on the local the a user login name with an non ascii character and it was causing me some trouble Hence Changing the local user login name on the login screen I decided to change it with ascii only characters Control Panel users etc properties changed the name of the local user Reboot and boom Windows asks me for a password and is displaying the former user name But there's no option to change the user name I've read that there should be a back arrow but it's not here probably because windows quot thinks quot there's no point since there is only user I don't know what to do I used a Linux live usb distro to use some tools that can reset password and unlock account however it can only reset password which seems not to be the issue here the issue is the wrong user name the linux tool shows local user with the last update name So I'm guessing windows is not using the proper name to login but doesn't provide any mean to change it If anyone has an idea that would be greatly approciated

A:Changing the local user login name on the login screen

Hello Bob, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Double check in Netplwiz to do step 4 to set Windows to automatically sign in to your user account at startup. If you had this set before, then it may not have been updated after you removed your password, and needs to be setup again.

Log On User Account Automatically at Windows 8 Startup

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/54730-changing-local-user-login-name-login-screen.html
Relevancy 67.51%

My screen hanged and turned black some desktop icons reappear when to login BSOD error Profile Windows, to Unable and Hang User Screen I move the Unable to login to Windows, User Profile error and Screen Hang BSOD mouse around http i imgur com tZWSakr jpg I pressed the restart button to restart loading slow and waited at the welcome and preparing your desktop for a few mins and finally reached inside windows desktop black screen and showed error popup http i imgur com vtS BoE jpg http i imgur com ItQuHNc jpg http i imgur com o TTU R jpg Unplugged harddisk wire connector and replugin to ensure firm connection I pressed the restart button to restart again and this time it cannot login it showed me a quot The User Profile Service failed the logon user profile cannot be loaded quot error message http i imgur com qzQwOpc jpg pressed restart button few more times and same thing happened Restart PC and pressed F when PC starting up to go to advanced boot options tried quot repair your computer quot and tried again quot last known good configuration advanced quot http i imgur com K mggc jpg tried all the options in quot repair your computer quot http i imgur com cfyFuI jpg but did not solve the quot The User Profile Service failed the logon user profile cannot be loaded quot problem Tried Method in this article http support microsoft com kb but it did not fix the problem so now I am unable to login and stuck with the error quot The User Profile Service failed the logon user profile cannot be loaded quot I can only login to safe mode Please help Thanks Sometimes I do experience BSOD http i imgur com X yenDU jpg and distorted colors http i imgur com LJoHPD jpg Some misc errors yesterday today screenshots http i imgur com gBaHsNg jpg http i imgur com ippaHof jpg http i imgur com Te Pn jpg http i imgur com XSV B jpg nbsp

Relevancy 66.65%

Ok I have a situation. I recently bought some laptops for my employees. I used to work in IT so i'm not technically challenged. But I have been out of the game for a few years so I haven't been keeping up with the latest stuff (i.e. windows 8). Anyway on to my problem. One of the employees that I bought a laptop for walked out on me without saying a word and now I can't login to the laptop he was using because I don't know his pw and I need this laptop. Any suggestions on the best way to get logged in to this laptop without having to reinstall windows? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/48926-how-do-i-switch-users-login-screen-need-help.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Ok this morning I started up my computer and at the login screen the only option I had available to use to login was (Other User)? I normally have (my login) and (guest login). I'm using WIN7 64BIT it's a custom built computer I put together in 2011. I'm using three HD, OS 256GB SSD, FLTSIM 256 SSD, Storage 1TB. I last used the computer last night around 7:30pm and I had no issues. I've restarted three times but to no avial. Is there a fix for this??

A:WIN7 login screen just has (Other User) available and I can't login?

Hello bankheadd, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if you may be able to do a system restore at boot using a restore point dated before you had this issue to hopefully undo and fix it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/355528-win7-login-screen-just-has-other-user-available-i-cant-login.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hey guys So it starts like this I wanted to network with domain, user SP3, [SOLVED] Pro XP login.. problem Windows my Win comp to my mums XP pro laptop in order to do this i had to or so i read set the workgroup to the default quot WORKGROUP [SOLVED] Windows XP Pro SP3, problem with domain, user login.. quot on her laptop Now in the system settings it was set on Domain [SOLVED] Windows XP Pro SP3, problem with domain, user login.. with domain name being quot SOUTHCITY quot i went ahead and selected Workgroup and input quot WORKGROUP quot After restarting i could no longer log in using her account or the admin account for that matter safe mode still required me to login so no luck there Created a boot cd changed the admin password I now have admin access and can login using admin account Now i went to undo what i had done in the first place selecting Domain and setting it as SOUTHCITY and i get the error as seen here http filedb experts-exchange com i n-join-err JPG I have a hint that its because the laptop is not connected to the server at school where she normally uses it But if that is the case then why was it working as it was at home maybe its an offline mode idk Either way i cant change it back And also under control panel - user accounts - there are only admin accounts setup and one called quot user quot Even though her account is named otherwise and i can even find her user files under documents and settings folder so why is there no user account showing there Any help would be appreciated let me know if more info is needed

A:[SOLVED] Windows XP Pro SP3, problem with domain, user login..

Have you tried VNC? RealVNC - Download VNC? Free Edition 4.1
You could then fix mom's computer as well as accessing files. One caveat. Without a VPN it's not secure.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-windows-xp-pro-sp3-problem-with-domain-user-login-604029.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi,
after the driver updates switch user button disappeared. I can see switch user button in start.But I want it to reappear in my log in screen. How to do it?
I have windows 7 Ultimate x 64

A:There is no switch users option on the login screen

Hello Unknownme, and welcome to Seven Forums.

See if enabling Switch User using the method in both tutorials below may be able to sort this for you.

Ctrl+Alt+Del and Start Menu - Add or Remove Switch User

Fast User Switching

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/344651-there-no-switch-users-option-login-screen.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I just installed ZoneAlarm Security Suite, and when i reset after it finished installing my account button was gone! I logged into a different account, and found that all my documents and settings where there (in, c:\Documents and Settings\) and when i try to make my account again with my name, it tells me i already have an account (because my folder is still there). I tried renaming my account folder to something else, so i could make my account again and rename the folder, but it was In Use. any solutions?

A:My Login button on the startup screen is gone

A User Account Does Not Appear in the User Accounts Tool (297221)

~GICodeWarrior

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-login-button-on-the-startup-screen-is-gone-13003.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Greetings friends,
This is my problem. I suddenly discovered that I could no longer switch user, the firewalls was disactivated and I had problem connecting to the internet. A message came up saying netware services have disactivated the welcome screen. I disactivated the netware services and another message came up saying an unknown programme has disactived the welcome screen. use vrlogon.dll to get hint to the programme. Can anyone help?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-welcome-screen-or-switch-user.833997/
Relevancy 64.93%

I get the screen 20 to 30 min of idle I have all the settings set to never or 1 to 2 hours sleep, hibernation, hard drive etc. it's not password protected
all I have to do is click on user name & it OK. As long as I am using it I do not get the screen. This is my desktop with win7 pro 32 bit
Thanks Jerry

A:Switch user screen

Hello Bongo.

Have a look at, right click desktop, personalize, "bottom right" screen saver, is this box checked; not sure if this is it or not but worth a look; be sure to post back to keep us informed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/86430-switch-user-screen.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Normally when logging on, the welcome screen shows Dell Icon and My Name which I click to log on. Then, "Switch User" under that. Now I am only getting "Switch User" and when I click "Switch User" nothing happens. Can't log in. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. (I am posting from a different computer as I can't log in to mine.)

A:Windows welcome screen only showing "Switch User"

Hello T Clouatre, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if doing a system restore at boot using a restore point dated before this happened may be able to undo and fix this for you.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/316711-windows-welcome-screen-only-showing-switch-user.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I just got my computer back from repair, and the power button on my login screen is missing. Does anyone know how to enable it? I guess Acer disabled it while repairing it.

Help, time, and understanding would be greatly appreciated.

A:How to put Power Button back on Login Screen?

Hello Jesse,

This may be able to help restore the power menu on your sign in screen.

Shutdown Power Menu - Add or Remove from Sign in Screen

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/58529-how-put-power-button-back-login-screen.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I'm about ready to throttle this Dell Dimension 3000, W2K SP2. Finally resolved a modem/port issue, now (coincidentally?!?), the monitor goes "dead" (blank, no cursor, has raster) after switching between users. No restore via keyboard or mouse, no CRTL-ALT-DEL acknowledgement. Have to hard power down. All is then fine.

I've not changed any of the power settings (1 hr each on monitor and HD; never hibernate). Only "new" aspect of this 7 month-old machine is the Dell Service Tech forced the malfunctioning modem port to another port (not physically... not sure what the correct terminology is) last week. I cannot isolate whether this blank screen is after the screensaver kicks in (20 mins), but DO know it's not immediately after switching users.

Help, please?

Thanks!
pieper

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/screen-goes-blank-after-user-switch.389360/
Relevancy 64.5%

When I click the "Switch user" button the screen goes black, & the only way I get it back is to restart. Any ideas? Thanks.

A:Switch user black screen

I seem to love clean boot today, LOL

Try booting to windows via a Clean Boot, then try the switch user, does the problem persist? If it works fine, then you know it is a third party application or service causing the problem.

If it doesn't fix the problem, hit the manufacturer of your pc for updated drivers.

Check the event log for errors around the time you tried to switch users.
Open Event Viewer

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/switch-user-black-screen-694408.html
Relevancy 64.5%

My PC Acer Windows Pro -bit Lately when I leave my pc alone for awhile the screen turns off in min's which is the setting I chose However when I press Windows user" screen "Switch itself to 7 going by any key or click the mouse to turn back on the screen I'm taken to the quot Switch user quot screen with my user ID and those of others Windows 7 going to "Switch user" screen by itself I have to click on my user ID icon enter my password press enter Windows 7 going to "Switch user" screen by itself and then I'm taken to where I left off This is tedious I've checked all the display settings I can but Windows 7 going to "Switch user" screen by itself I can't find the setting I need to stop this behavior Under Control Panel Hardware and Sound Power Options Edit Plan Settings I've got quot Turn off display quot set to quot minutes quot and quot Put the computer to sleep quot set to quot Never quot I DO want the screen to turn off after min's when I've left the pc but I DON'T want to have to keep clicking my user ID and entering my password to resume where I left off I just want to come back click any key or the mouse turn on the screen and continue where I left off What controls this behavior and how do I change it HALP

A:Windows 7 going to "Switch user" screen by itself

Control panel, power options, require a password when computer wakes. Check that setting!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/384636-windows-7-going-switch-user-screen-itself.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I have Windows Ultimate x One day I turned my computer on and it booted up to just my desktop background My icons the task bar even the windows login screen were gone it was just my desktop background I could see and move my mouse and right click for the desktop menu but nothing else would work or show up CTRL ALT DEL would just make the screen go black I read about how it could be a corrupt user profile or something like that I followed most advice I read disabling non-microsoft services booting to safe mode making a new user profile deleting certain registries entries running system restore Nothing worked Although everything would appear in safe mode I Start login Icons, gone. Taskbar, screen button, was getting mad so I said screw it and just formatted the hard drive and and reinstalled Windows It installed just fine but when it Taskbar, Start button, Icons, login screen gone. booted up to the desktop for the first time everything was gone again So I used a separate Windows Home Edition x I have for my wife's computer and installed that to just see what happened same thing I have no idea where to go from here gt lt Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Taskbar, Start button, Icons, login screen gone.

Quote:

formatted the hard drive and and reinstalled Windows

Is this a Desktop computer or a Laptop?
Can you please supply the specs:
Computer Make and Model#
Processor,
RAM
Video Card (make, model#)
Power Supply Unit (make, model and Wattage)
HDD capacity (manufacturer)
When you turn on the computer, do you get the computers Logo screen, or the Black POST screen? Have you tried a different monitor? Did you try replacing the video card? Can you boot into Setup (Bios)?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/taskbar-start-button-icons-login-screen-gone-640231.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Running Vista 64 Ultimate and have never been able to get the computer to automatically power down (hibernate, sleep etc) while in an account. Did some troubleshooting and realized that the computer will power down from the Switch User screen (with users logged on or not), but will not if a user account is running. Any ideas?

A:Won't Hibernate, sleep unless at Switch User Screen

Hi, rglowitz, and welcome to the forums.

Have you tried going through Power Options and Sleep Mode Problems to see if you can fix your problem?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/164290-wont-hibernate-sleep-unless-switch-user-screen.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I have an Acer switch user to screen Unsleep straight laptop with a fingerprint reader and Windows and don't like the way the Sleep Switch User options work My family and I all use the laptop and usually several of us are logged in at once When one of use wants to use the laptop they fire it up log in surf the net for a bit or whatever then send it to Unsleep straight to switch user screen sleep The next person to use it unsleeps Unsleep straight to switch user screen logs in with their account uses it then sleeps again So now accounts are logged in and available to continue work etc That way any work or websites we had open are available immeadiately from where we left off if we log in later on Yes this does mean that occasionally we lose our work if the laptop has to restart for an update or another user manually reboots but we rarely sleep without saving work and usually it's just websites up so staying logged in is more a convenience thing rather than critical thing so we're willing to live with that Anyway I have a slight annoyance with how this works When we unsleep Windows goes to the log on screen for the last user - quot helpfully quot assuming the last person to sleep the computer is probably the person who is unsleeping it and allowing them to log on quickly This is often not the case for us and in fact since we all usually use the computer each day at some point more often than not it's actually a different person waking it If it's a different person using it this time he she has to click quot Switch User quot button to go back to the main login screen with all the accounts and chose their account to log in An extra click so hardly the end of the world but annoying none the less If you've logged on using your fingerprint instead of the password it's even worse When you unsleep it goes to a single user log in screen for the last user to use it and asks you to swipe your fingerprint to log in again If it's a different user this time then you have to click the quot Other Credentials quot button - which takes you to the normal login screen for that same user ready to type the password in instead of authenticating with your fingerprint Then you have to click quot Switch User quot to get to the main multi-user login screen as above and finally you can log in as above clicks now which again is annoying That seems strange as from the main multi-user login screen you can swipe your finger and Windows automatically recognises which user that is and logs in without you even having to choose the username So you never even have use the password screen to log in so it's all very smooth - but not when unsleeping In fact when using fingerprint to log on the specific user login screens are pretty pointless since you can log in directly and so conveniently from the multiple user screen Is there anway to unsleep straight to the main login screen with multiple users Have searched around both the security settings and the web but can't find a way to do it Note I do NOT want to auto login to my main account as I know how to use this We have multiple accounts with finger prints and passwords and want to keep them I just don't want Windows to assume the same person sleeping will be the same person waking the computer Make sense

A:Unsleep straight to switch user screen

Try the modern Hibernate function which is perfected in Win7 andd may solve the issue for you since it does everything sleep does but writes the desktop to the HD (instead of just RAM) and shuts down the PC. But it starts up twice as fast to the Log-In page.

If fingerprint reader bothers you, turn it off and use strong passwords.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/275451-unsleep-straight-switch-user-screen.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi!

I have recently noticed a problem when using the Switch User option in Windows XP Pro SP2. Twice in the last two or three days, when I click on Switch User I got a blank screen with just an hourglass. The hourglass is moving on the screen when I move the mouse, but that's all - I cannot invoke any command whatsoever, and none of the keys is functioning, not even the Ctrl-Alt-Del combination! So, I have to use brute force, i.e. to reset my machine.

This doesn't happen always, however. I think it happened both times when I was downloading something from the Net. I got a broadband cable connection to the Internet, had recently disabled Zone Alarm, and am using AVG Free Edition, which hasn't warned me about any viruses on my system.

I am pretty much puzzled about this problem and am eagerly expecting anyone's support. Thanks!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blank-screen-after-clicking-on-switch-user.489602/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi, on one of my XP Home computers (Service Pack 3), everytime I switch users (Win+L and then log on as another user), I will get a blue screen of death. I've tried doing a clean boot to isolate the problem but to no avail. Windows is fully updated as well. Does anyone have any solutions?

A:XP Home blue screen on user switch

Can you please create a zip file of all the files in the folder C:\Windows\Minidump and attach it to your next reply (More Reply Options > Choose Files).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528311/xp-home-blue-screen-on-user-switch/
Relevancy 63.64%

I have a problem, I get to the Windows login that says to sign in but on the right there is not a user name it is just blank. Can anyone tell me what to do. This does this in Safe mode as well. I click ctrl. alt. del and a user login box comes up but still will not take password. This is a Windows XP Home SP2. Very strange. Thanks....

A:Can't login Windows XP Home Login page missing user names

This happened to me one time, I think it's a corrupt profile. I really don't remember how I solved it.

Do you use XP's System Restore? That would be my first idea.

Best suggestion that I can think of is to run chkdsk /r or the equivalent and see if that helps.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/191067/cant-login-windows-xp-home-login-page-missing-user-names/
Relevancy 63.21%

I find it ridiculous that they split up 'Lock Screen' and Switch User screen like Windows 7.
In all previous windows, by pressing Windows+L; brings you a switch user screen which acts like a Lock Screen too.
Is there a way to make it like this? So that Lock Screens allow you to choose which user you want to log into?

I have found this that stops the annoying thing about disabling auto sign in on startup:
Sign in - Show All Users or Last User in Windows 8
but this is only half a it.

A:make Lock screen fast switch user

Ctrl + Alt + DelFrom start screen

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/24335-make-lock-screen-fast-switch-user.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi Guys,
A very minor question. I was wondering if it's possible to show the "Welcome Screen/Switch User" screen after the computer is woken up from screensaver or standby. I know it's really easy for a user to click on the "Switch User" button on the "lock page", but still I want to make it easy for my mom.

Thanks.

A:Switch User screen after Screensaver/standby wakeup

Hello SimFox, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You can set Windows 7 to show the log on screen when the computer resumes from wakeup, and after a screen saver (step 9). She can also switch users from the log on screen as well if she wanted to.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/34188-switch-user-screen-after-screensaver-standby-wakeup.html
Relevancy 63.21%

XP Home, SP2
When we Switch Users, very often the computer goes to a blank, dark screen and becomes dead and frozen. ALso a problem with one user account when he Logs Off - almost always causes the dead screen. But not every time. We can't turn the computer off via the power button when it happens, we unplug from the power source and replug, press power button to turn it on again.
The thing is, it doesn't always happen, maybe about every fourth or fifth Switch User. With the one account Logging Off, it's more like every other time.
It's done this since Day One and I'm tired of it. We never know WHEN it will decide to do it. I read some old posts but no solution? Fast User Switching is enabled. Any new info on this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-switch-user-log-off-make-screen-go-blank-have-to-reboot.338146/
Relevancy 63.21%

I have noticed my system HP pavilion xp media center ver sp amd x dual ghz gig ram has slowed down considerally in the past month Also when my wife is on her screen several times it goes blank just desktop picture shows and I can blank switch screen user slow computer/ not log off unless I shut down the computer via the on off button Could ther be something in my combofix log that is doing this I will attach Poetb Running from c downloads ComboFix exe slow computer/ switch user screen blank Resident AV is active Other Deletions c temp slow computer/ switch user screen blank tn c windows arservice exe c windows system drivers npf sys c windows system IoctlSvc exe c windows system Packet dll c windows system wpcap dll c windows IE Error Log txt c windows kb exe c windows r exe c windows system gsvrrxfj dll c windows system hyrwbrhv dll c windows system ikkfmcts dll c windows system jwodiouk dll c windows system swhrbrrk dll c windows system sxsvsiwd ini c windows system vakeieru dll slow computer/ switch user screen blank c windows system wxdibavt dll D Desktop ini Drivers Services ------- Service NPF ------- Legacy ARSVC ------- Legacy PLFlash DeviceIoControl Service ------- Service ARSVC ------- Service PLFlash DeviceIoControl Service Files Created from - - to - - - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files hpclasses - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data Lavasoft Ad-Aware update Ad-Aware exe - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data Lavasoft Ad-Aware update AAWWSC exe - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data Lavasoft Ad-Aware update AAWTray exe - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data Lavasoft Ad-Aware update AAWService exe - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings HP Administrator Application Data Mozilla Firefox Profiles xwnjql default extensions B D-F E- e e-A B- A D CEFB components IBitCometExtension dll Find M Report - - - - -------- d---a-w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data TEMP - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data Google Updater - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files BitComet - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data Malwarebytes Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbam-setup exe - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data FLEXnet - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data DVD Shrink - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers mbamswissarmy sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers mbam sys - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data Lavasoft Ad-Aware update Drivers lbd sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system drivers Lbd sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system localspl dll - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings HP Administrator Application Data Vso - - - - ----a-w- c windows system wininet dll - - - - ----a-w- c windows system ieencode dll - - - - -------- d-----w- c program files QuickTime - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings All Users Application Data QuickTime - - - - -------- d-----w- c documents and settings HP Administrator Application Data RipIt Me - - - - ----a-w- c windows system win k sys - - - - ----a-w- c windows system rpcrt dll - - - - ----a-w- c documents and settings Administrator Local Settings Application Data GDIPFONTCACHEV DAT - - - - --sha-w- c windows SMINST HPCD sys Reg Loading Points Note empty entries amp legit default entries are not shown REGEDIT HKEY LOCAL MACHINE software microsoft windows currentversion explorer shelliconoverlayidentifiers BackupIconOverlayId quot EE E C- F - AAB- A -D A CD FEDAD quot HKEY CLASSES ROOT CLSID EE E C- F - AAB- A -D A CD FEDAD - - ----a-w- c program files Webroot Spy Sweeper Backup CtxMenu dll HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Run quot ctfmon exe quot quot c windo... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/slow-computer-switch-user-screen-blank.836282/
Relevancy 62.78%

I have a domain 8.1 login to boots screen "Other instead with of Pro Username Windows and User" Password joined Surface Pro running Pro The following GPO settings are in place Assign a default domain for logon Do not display last logged on user Disable logging in with Microsoft accounts - uses the following registry setting - MACHINE Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Policies System NoConnectedUser - Value The end goal is for the machine to boot Windows 8.1 Pro boots to login screen with "Other User" instead of Username and Password to the login screen that just displays empty user name and password fields The problem at the moment is that instead of doing that the client boots to a screen where the only option is to click on quot Other user quot Only then does the login screen I want where they enter their username and password in full actually appear These Surface Pro 's are to be used by small children and have the quot Other User quot screen appear is confusing for them as well as being very annoying for me It's completely unnecessary I've searched all over the 'net looking for an easy way to get the client to boot straight to the standard domain joined log in screen but every time it just boots to this quot Other User quot screen that has to be clicked on in order to get the correct login screen to come up Is there any way I Windows 8.1 Pro boots to login screen with "Other User" instead of Username and Password can get this to boot straight to the login screen I want nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/973ac221-15da-4815-ac30-acbca40003de/windows-81-pro-boots-to-login-screen-with-quotother-userquot-instead-of-username-and-password?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 61.92%

When I login to windows (7, Ultimate x64) on most profiles (created a new one, affected, logged into my admin account, 1 of 2 user accounts, a clean one for lightweight surfing with no load time for all 3rd party s/w) and my monitor goes from extended (blank) (1920x1080) to ... looking like it has a FAT black border (on secondary monitor).

Also some issues with network adapter connecting and mounted volumes attaching (instead of being instantaneous they take minutes) event viewer doesn't mention anything significant... any ideas?

Interestingly, I can't open Intel's CPanel (desktop context > Graphics Properties) (gfxui.exe) on other profiles.. will get details

A:User Profile Corruption/RegIssues? How to monitor windows (user login)

Sounds to me like something in one or more of the user profiles has gotten corrupted. you might have to delete one or more user accounts and then re create those accounts which should hopefully fix the corruption issue. I know u might not want to do that; but at this point i dont see any other choice to fix the problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/325836-user-profile-corruption-regissues-how-monitor-windows-user-login.html
Relevancy 61.92%

I have a Dell laptop that I have tried many times to password but it sort of doesn t work screen login No User The laptop No User login screen has Windows XP Professional on it Version with Service pack My husband bought it No User login screen from a buddy at work who s wife wanted a laptop but then decided she didn t like it She didn t delete her account so it s still under her name I have set up a user account in my name on it and passworded it When I reboot the No User login screen laptop it goes straight into quot her quot account I want the screen where it gives me the User names so you have to type my password in order to even access the laptop It always totally bypasses that screen I tried setting up a dummy account and turned on the Guest account and rebooted the laptop I STILL don t get the User login screen I really want this to work because for the laptop is being used only for backing up personal family pictures and I d really rather be able to password my children out of it and when I go to my girlfriends house her mother seems to think she can just help herself to my laptop whenever she feels like it I d logged off - it s the only way to get the User login screen - but somehow she managed to bypass it I KNOW the only way around it is to reboot the laptop but she swears up and down she just opened the lid and the account was open Can someone help me figure out how to get the User login screen on Startup Please Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 61.92%

Hi,
I've been searching through the forum's tutorials and all through Google to find out how to change the size of the user picture in the login screen. I don't have a password set to my account and I am currently the only one with an account on the computer, so the picture is very small on my 22" 1680*1050 monitor.

Thanks in advance

A:User Pic in Login Screen

Hello Spd2Last,

Sorry, but there is no option in Vista to allow you to change the size of the user logon display picture.

You can change the logon background image if you wanted to do that instead.

Logon screen - Change

hope this helps some,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/169823-user-pic-login-screen.html
Relevancy 61.92%

Whenever i get to my login screen on my computer, it is in the crappy windows 98 look, with basic name and password. when i try to go to user accounts to change, my virus scan pops up and says that mshta.exe is running suspiciously, and then no matter what i do(ignore or find out more info) about the virus, an error msg comes up saying that client services for Netware are blocking something, and that i have to uninstall it. I cant find client services or netware anywhere. Plz help. Thanks

A:User login Screen

Go to "Control Panel"--"User Accounts"--"change the way user log on or off"

select "Use the welcome screen" ,and apply options

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-login-screen.558717/
Relevancy 61.92%

windows vista home premium dell inspiron avast free version i got home from running some errands to a blank screen with a working cursor it s not a bsod my daughter s boyfriend is real apologetic said he downloaded a game then extracted it onto my desktop tried the exe file and nothing happened so user no screen login he tried the readme file got a no user login screen quot notepad is not working quot message and clicked on the quot find a solution the web quot link got a quot firefox is not working quot message at this point he panicked i guess and deleted the game folder and the zipped rar file and shut down rebooted entered the computer password yes my daughter knows it and everything seemed fine cept he never got to the windows icon that precedes the user login prompt it s just sittin on the dark screen with the working cursor no harddrive activity whatsoever near as i can tell anyway so i shut down and booted into safe mode and i see a lot of error messages in the event log surrounding this game windows security firewall is turned off and won t turn i don t know if this normal for safe mode or not pretty much a technodope tried a system restore to a time early this morning when i downloaded some updates and rebooted no difference i logged in in safe mode again and changed to boot settings to safe mode with diagnostics thinking that might help remember technodope booting up that was leaves me at the same screen as a normal boot i m currently running a scan through avast and plan on posting a hijack this log as soon as i can but i wanted to lay this out and see what sort of comments y all got nbsp

Relevancy 61.92%

The User Accounts screen appears continually on my desktop, always when I click "Start", and possibly other times too. I recently changed from Norton AIS to MSE but it's been happening since before then. This is using my own administrator level account.

I have not changed my password, and it appears that I have not lost any actual functionality or access. It's just a nuisance I would like to be rid of. I've seen one or two years-old threads about this here, but for me this just started a week or so ago.

Has anyone run into this recently? I suspect a recent Windows update was the cause, but I'm not sure.

A:User Accounts screen appears whenever I use the Start button.

this link should help
'User Account Control' appears whenever I start Outlook 2010 - Microsoft Answers
i do applgz that is not the right link, ill see if i can get you the right 1 again sry

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/289624-user-accounts-screen-appears-whenever-i-use-start-button.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Everytime I switch users it automatically logs in to my brothers user name which is very frustrating, any way to change it?

A:Switch User Problem.

Hello adz3d,

One method that would stop this would be to create a password for your brother's account. Afterwards, it will no longer auto sign-in to the account. This would be the recommended method.
Another method is to use step 1 in OPTION ONE of the tutorial below to always have all users displayed on the sign-in screen to prevent this. However, if you click on your brother's icon, it will still sign into it without having to enter a password since it's not password protected as recommended above.

Sign in - Show All Users or Last User in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/17295-switch-user-problem.html
Relevancy 61.49%

whenever i go to start - log off - switch user...

and it goes to the first windows screen where you see the list of users.. if i click on another user, it just turns black and nothing ever happens. i went to the control panel and changed it so you can do fast use switching, and i think mcafee security center doesnt like that, because i have to set it to allow the script change every time...

but it still doesn't work.
someone pleeeeease help!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-switch-problem.408901/
Relevancy 61.49%

For me, I have 4 accounts on my computer. I am the administrator. When I switch user to log onto another account, I click the name, and the screen blinks for a second, and brings me back to the Welcome Screen.

Any ideas?

Thanks

A:switch user problem

Can you login to any accounts? Do allo the accounts do the same? How much RAM do you have? I think there is a requirement, something like if you don't have 128Mb RAM FREE (not total) then the fast user switching functions won't work.

Does this help at all?

Eli

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switch-user-problem.578188/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi,

I searched the forums before posting, but couldn't find anything on this.

Basically, the switch between windows button that brought up the 3D windows used to work fine on my computer, but after having to reinstall windows, it doesn't work. Now it just shows the same menu as pressing alt-tab. The preview of windows when hovering on the start bar also doesn't work.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium.

Any help would be great!

Chris

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-switch-between-windows-quick-launch-button-407868.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Friend of family had a stroke can't remember user password It happens I'm an old ex network admin so pretty savy here yet Totally stumped short of spending money to buy Cannot windows login to User 7 get Login past something Here is what I've tried to do to get to the command prompt so I can run net user to enable the administrator login which is defaulted as disabled on Of course she never made up any backup image disks or anything duh who does On boot up pressed F to get to command prompt with safe mode That works when selected option given here still boots up to the user name login So I can't get to the command prompt Tried the other safe mode options with same result Toshiba also has a F boot option same result Started windows when it was loading I shut it down with Power On button restarted repair mode to get to command prompt cancelling the repair when it starts but can't get to command prompt this way either Tried my Windows disk but still loads and comes up to user login so I can't enable the administrator option I think she has windows 7 Login Cannot get to past User login this locked down pretty good nothing in the BIOS to secure the user access I have a bootable Flash drive but it will not work on this Toshiba Satelite laptop will not boot as there is no option in BIOS to enable it I tried with a bootable CD disk and it boots up but I still go to the user login like above Would like to help her out I doubt she'll be working again and is only in her late 's Doing this for no compensation of course as friend of family Any ideas step by steps that might work Short of that any low cost software boot apps to get me to a command prompt so I can reset her user password or enable the administrator login Post here or drop me an email from profile I need to fill that out here shortly Thanks Much New

A:windows 7 Login Cannot get to past User login

On the bottom lefts of the login screen click on a blue button with a spiral inside, it should open the cmd.
Run this command:

Code:
REG ADD "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\sethc.exe" /v Debugger /t
REG_SZ /d "C:\windows\system32\cmd.exe"
Hit enter and wait then run this command:

Code:
net user [user_name] [new_password]
[user_name] is your Username and [new_password] is the password you will use to login

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/355449-windows-7-login-cannot-get-past-user-login.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I have had to rebuild both my PC's (and my network) over the last fortnight.
I installed Client Service For Netware in an effort to solve a problem (it wasn't the answer) then deinstalled it.

Ever since then I have been getting the Netware Login Screen (single account name & password) rather than the XP screen (multiple account names visible).

The pain now is that if another user wants to use the PC I get logged out completely, as opposed to being able to switch user while keeping my programmes running.

Anyone know how I solve this please (its driving me nuts!)?

Thanks

WB

Relevancy 61.49%

Hi Tried several times to search the forum and got this Fatal error Allowed memory size of bytes exhausted tried login windows problem screen. with to allocate bytes in home tsf public html search php on line I am trying to install a Spanish version of XP on a machine for my cafe Everyting is working fine except for the fact that I can't get it to display a login screen when XP starts up There are three user accounts Two user accounts have passwords Administrador note the different spelling and rjw There is problem with windows login screen. one account w out password which is what I want amigos When XP starts it automatically starts with the Administrador account and bypasses the login proccess and does not ask for password AFTER XP started I did several things First I tried each account by closing the sessions The login screen that I want to appear at startup appears and requires the passwords for two accounts that require passwords GOOD Second I tried to restart the machine when I was logged into the amigos account and it started back up in the Administrador account BAD Third I tried the obvious in the User Accounts from the Control Panel where you change how a user logs on and set the appropriate check boxes and restarted DID NOT WORK Fourth When that didn't work I went to the registry HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion Winlogon SpecialAccounts UserList added the all of the users and set the DWORD I restarted and this DID NOT WORK I still don't get a log in panel for the classic windows or the regular version of XP during startup I am out of ideas Thanks

A:problem with windows login screen.

This is incorrect, if your account has a password it wont bypass it, you need to go to user accounts in the control panel and give "Administrador" account a password.

The password you setup during the xp install is for the safemode account.

Adding a password to "Administrador" will give you what you want.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/problem-with-windows-login-screen-512177.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Alright I don't know a lot about computers I probably definitely shouldn't own one seeing as our last one crashed because I accepted an User I'm Gone Screen - :/ Login desperate Please, IM from a friend that they didn't actually send Anyway my problem now on a diff User Login Screen Gone - Please, I'm desperate :/ computer is that I cannot login I've searched the web countless times for an answer to this and other people that have had this problem always say the screen is stuck on the welcome page where it says 'click on user name' Mine however doesn't even say that It just has the Windows Icon that says Windows xp in the middle of the blue screen I think what caused this is that I got the virus 'XP Antispyware ' and when I went on forums like these to find solutions I went into regedit and might have deleted some stuff I shouldn't have Then I couldn't open IE everytime I clicked on the desktop icon it gave me a shortcut icon instead Eventually I shut it down and when I turn it back on there is no User Login Screen Gone - Please, I'm desperate :/ option for logging in I tried rebooting in Safe Mode and I tried rebooting to when it was last running properly or whatever that option is - both don't work To make matters worse I can't find the XP Windows CD Is there any hope for me at all Please and thank you

A:User Login Screen Gone - Please, I'm desperate :/

Your could try pressing Control, Alt, and Delete twice at that blue screen and see if that helps.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/user-login-screen-gone-please-im-desperate-300541.html
Relevancy 61.49%

At the login screen there administrator and user1 . I want only user1 to appear. And when i want to log into administrator i would click switch and the administrator login would appear. Is this possible or does administrator is always display. And no i don't want to delete the administrator account. Thanks.

A:Displaying only 1 user at the login screen.

There is a method in the group policy editor to revert the logon to the old system whereby you have to press CTRL-ALT-DEL to bring up the log in box but I am unaware of an option to hide a user

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/23461-displaying-only-1-user-login-screen.html
Relevancy 61.49%

I ve been running Windows XP SP for Stuck User screen at Login years Stuck at User Login screen Went back to school and I m taking Japanese When I installed activated the Japanese fonts it asked me to restart the computer I did so and now where previously I would go directly to the desktop I am taken to the User Login screen When I click on my name it moves for a moment and says that it s loading my preferences Then the icon snaps back to its original spot and does nothing If I click it again the exact same thing happens If I try to login in safe mode it does the same thing except I also get the administrator login icon Anyone have any idea why this is doing this and or if there s anything I can do short of reinstalling that will help In looking around the internet I have found two instances where someone has had this same problem but no luck on solutions Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Stuck at User Login screen

When you log into the administrator account, does the same thing happen?

Also, do you have any of the following:
-Windows XP CD
-Recovery CD
-Recovery Partition

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/stuck-at-user-login-screen.1071722/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi All I logged into a computer as an administrator to install an application client citrix client on a users computer The installation went successfully and worked fine on the administrator account however when the user try to login in to trying when login screen User to get black the computer the computer goes black screen after welcome message and stay black until it gets shutdown manually Nothing works in this state of User get black screen when trying to login black screen ctrl alt del etc doesn't work although the mouse cursor is visible and movable - thats it Technicals Windows Pro bit OEM HP probook The user has administrator privilieges The user can login in safe mode but a restore to a previous restore point didn't User get black screen when trying to login work sfc scannow completes without any errors Windows update doesn't work in users safe mode with network Shouldn't it supposed to be working Tried Prevx fix for black screen explorer not running User is on company AD domain so i need the user account to be working User get black screen when trying to login again Disabling all startup programs doesn't help Administrator account works fine with normal login drivers loaded etc Any suggestions on how to either fix the problem or get the user account to work again Thank you Nicolai

A:User get black screen when trying to login

Hello Nicolai, welcome to SF!

A question, as I don't know how you AD is setup...
Would it be possible for you to save the users local data if any, and completely re-create that user on the pc?
That might be easier than finding a UAC / AD authorization issue

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/176539-user-get-black-screen-when-trying-login.html
Relevancy 61.49%

My daughter has a Toshiba Microsoft windows 7. She tried creating a guest user login in, when she tried to toggle between the admin log in and the guest all it would show is the guest. She went in and disabled the guest login now she does not have either option. How do I fix this?

A:disappearing user login screen

Sounds like she disabled the Admin account.

You might try and boot into the safe mode, and see if you can get into the Control Panel and re enable the accounts.

Windows 7 has a "Guest" account, but a account can not be made to be a guest. The only type that there is, is Administrator and Standard.

The system spec would be helpful.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disappearing-user-login-screen.1065342/
Relevancy 61.49%

I have my user account which is connected with ms account which shows my email along with my user name on login screen. I made one more admin account without ms account and made it a default user with password. Now on login screen on left side both my accounts show up. Is there way to hide my original account from this login screen because I do not want anyone sitting with me could know my email as this account shows my email along with user name.

A:Hide other user name from login screen

Hello Sam,

If you like, you could use the tutorial below to set Windows to not display user names on the sign in screen. This will force all users to have to enter both their user name and password at sign in.

Sign in Screen - Do Not Display User Name in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/29708-hide-other-user-name-login-screen.html
Relevancy 61.49%

Hey sorry if i posted this in the wrong section but this one looked like the right one Recently i had a trojan that totaly screwed up my computer it would play sound clips at random moments and everytime i googled something it would take me to phishing sites So i downloaded trojan remover and ran that it got rid of something for me but Login When screen Cant select to User get it stopped and asked me what to do to userinit exe It said that file is suspecous so i choose it recommended advice and just renamed it The trojan didnt go away so i ran it again in safe mode and this time with trojan remover i clicked delete I then realized it was a system file and now i cant log in it takes me to the user select screen i pick any user and then he screen goes black and a window pops up saying an unathorized change has been made to windows learn more online or close So now i dont know what to do P S Now it doesnt let me go to safe mode i dont have that option anymore What i tried so far Put in vista cd boot from optical drive and tried to run system restore and i keep on getting catastrphical errortried scanning the file in the command promptNow im downloading ubuntu and gonna boot from that disk and while im in ubuntu im gonna try to copy the userinit exe file from my fash he hard drive Thats my last attempt So basicly i am asking Cant Login When get to User select screen how to resolve my issue with the not being allowed to log in I really would not like to reinstall vista but it looks like a possibility now All advice is welcomed Thanks alot Atomic

A:Cant Login When get to User select screen

Well since i didn't get any replies i've decided to reinstall windows. My last attempt was using unubuntu trying to cope a friends userinit.exe file into my system32 file. But no such luck. I'am starting to think that the problem was not with userinit.exe W/e just wanted to let you guys know.

~Atomic

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/215138-cant-login-when-get-user-select-screen.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I know how to set the sleep mode in Control Panel - System & Security - Power Options but how can I bypass the User button in the middle of the screen when it wakes?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/400085-sleep-mode-user-button-middle-screen-wakeup.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Last night, I switched from the standard Windows log-in to fast user switching. After logging off, I realized that my user name is no longer accessible from the welcome screen. I think this might be because I have 4 user accounts on my computer, but I'm not sure. The problem is that my user name is the only admin account. How do I make my own account accessible once again?

A:Fast user switch problem

Welcome,

Try getting into Safemode and use the Administrator Account
How to Start in Safemode

1. Restart your computer.
2. Before the windows logo you should gently tap the F8 key repeatedly until you are presented with a Windows XP Advanced Options menu.
3. Select the option for Safe Mode using the arrow keys.
4. Then press enter on your keyboard to boot into Safe Mode.
5. Do whatever tasks you require and when you are done reboot to boot back into normal mode..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fast-user-switch-problem.549127/
Relevancy 61.06%

Now my switch User is not working. I can log out but i can not switch user. Any suggestions anyone?

Carla

Relevancy 61.06%

The fast switch user option is enabled on my windows xp home edition. When we go to switch users, a blue screen comes up for approx. 25 - 30 seconds, and then the user screen comes up, but does not respond for another 30 seconds. I have tried doing every maintenance and scan available, and do not come up with any problems. This has only occurred in the past week. Nothing new has been downloaded. Any suggestions?

A:Fast Switch User Problem

Depending on the specs of your system, you may not have enough resources to use Fast User Switching (FUS). FUS keeps both profiles in memory when it's used - so you're using up twice the memory (and associated resources) when it's running.

If it used to work fine and now it's slow - I'd suspect Windows "bloat" was taking up too many of your resources. A good system cleanup (and maybe more RAM) will help out there.

If the change was rather sudden, you may want to also check your video drivers. Updating them is the usual fix for this problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/88050/fast-switch-user-problem/
Relevancy 61.06%

The USB mouse no longer works once you switch users. I have tried several wireless units and they all stop working once you switch user. Going back to original user does not help, only removing and reinserting the USB wireless transmitter gets it going again. I have seen quite a few posts regarding this issue but have seen no solutions. HP acts like they never heard of the problem.

Waiting for help.....

A:HP DV9910US Switch User Problem

Hi rbringh

Welcome to the forums.

Have you checked the vendors website for a software/driver update?
Raj

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/177201-hp-dv9910us-switch-user-problem.html
Relevancy 61.06%

hi every body
i have inspiron n5110 R15 and it cames with pre-installed windows 7 and the laptop have 3 buttons more in the upper right corner one for switch off display and other one for dell support center and one for system settings after i bought a windows 8 and install it non of these buttons are working any more, please help
thanks

A:R15 n5110 Switch off display button dont work with windows 8

Hi Amrr,
It seems that the ‘Dell Quickset’ driver is not installed on the computer. You can install it from the link http://dell.to/O4tysq 

Click on ‘Download File’
Check on the radio box ‘Single-file download’
Click on ‘Continue’
Choose the location as desktop,
Click on ‘Save’, save the file on the desktop
Double click on the file; choose ‘Continue’
Click 'OK' on ‘Select the folder’ where you want to unzip the files (make a note of the folder location)
Click ‘Yes’
Click ‘Ok’, follow the on screen instructions and install the file
Restart the computer

In case you do not get prompts on the screen for instructions, then

Browse to the folder where the files were unzipped and locate the setup file
Double click on the file; follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation

Please reply if you have any questions.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19490040
Relevancy 60.63%

I got a problem with my windows it get to the point right after the loading with the squares and after that the screen just start to turn off and on every few seconds lasting for ever i watched it go for about an hour before i just Windows 8 on and off turning screen Problem. login before cut the power this happened after i downloaded and installer the windows driver for my Geforce xfx graphic card something similar happened when i installed my driver to my mother board but when i got it to reset my hard drive i just didn't bother re installing the motherboard driver but graphic card driver i kinda want so any solutions on how i can fix this or at least a way for me Windows 8 Problem. screen turning off and on before login to be able to reset cause i can't figure out how i get back into the menu posting this from my laptop Edit i got my computer run again after a Refresh but still would like to know how i can update my drivers without windows crashing Windows 8 Problem. screen turning off and on before login on me

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/18159-windows-8-problem-screen-turning-off-before-login.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Please help me i have a problem with my computer it goes black screen after i login
my desktop is hp pavilion a5055d my os is windows 8 i dont know what the problem
i have a ati radeon xpress 1100 for videocard ..
I tried to restart many times. 

A:WINDOWS 8 BLACK SCREEN AFTER LOGIN PROBLEM

Hi,

Did this issue occur before?

Try to logon with Safe Mode to see if the same issue occurs.

Furthermore, you can try to update BIOS for your machine?

You can refer these article to update BIOS if your machine cannot boot:
http://www.ehow.com/how_7356859_update-bios-windows-won_t-boot.html
http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-PC-Which-Won't-Boot

Hope that helps.Leo Huang
TechNet Community Support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d543f46a-ac0e-4830-9e6c-36efe9fcc9c8/windows-8-black-screen-after-login-problem?forum=w8itproinstall