Windows Support Forum

Win XP failed, repair failed -- can I access hard drive?

Q: Win XP failed, repair failed -- can I access hard drive?

I was running Win XP which finally failed and I was able to enter in safe mode (only, no networking) and ran all the tests I could think of. Hard drive is ok and so I attempted to repair WinXP from the installation CD. However, the PC failed to shut down and restart so I eventually force closed it. Now it won't even load past the initial black windows screen, don't even get the option of going into safe mode.

Is there any way I (or someone) could access the hard drive to retrieve the data? I guess I could reinstall the OS but don't want to do that yet as I'll definitely lose the data.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Win XP failed, repair failed -- can I access hard drive?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Win XP failed, repair failed -- can I access hard drive?

Sure, there are many ways. Depending on what you want in the end decides how to proceed.

If you have a lot of space free on the drive, you could boot off a linux dvd and create a new partition. You'd have to shrink the existing, then make a new one. Then you could just copy over the data from the old one to the new one. Then reinstall windows onto the old partition, and copy your stuff back (then delete the partition and expand the remaining to fill the rest of the space).

You can also just boot off a linux disk and copy it to a thumb drive or whatever.

Or you could remove the hard drive and place it in another computer.

Also, I'm not convinced you lose the data if you install Windows again. I'm pretty sure you can install without formatting the drive. Your programs won't work, but it shouldn't overwrite any of your data. This is a non-ideal solution though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win-xp-failed-repair-failed-can-i-access-hard-drive.179446/
Relevancy 101.91%

A while back my second hard drive failed while I was moving the PC tower via car Along the way it simply ceased to work I m using Vista on a fairly new system and the Second home drive hard attempting repair. failed, primary file system is NFTS The second hard drive is pretty old and from a previous computer It s been a while but I m fairly sure it was FAT I had to purchase a couple of adapters to be Second hard drive failed, attempting home repair. able to install it into my PC but for the life of me I can t Second hard drive failed, attempting home repair. remember what they were called I m capable of taking pictures if that s relevant I put off trying to fix it but removed it earlier to check for any visible damage I didn t see anything particularly amiss besides a bent pin I straightened it and reinstalled the hard drive but still no luck Given that it s been around for a while and has a lot of stuff on it I d be sorry to lose I would much rather repair it if I can on my own at home but if it s lost it s lost and I ll just buy a new and more compatable one I checked computer management and found no sign of it nor is there any sign of it when I hit F on the boot screen If there s something physical I can check or some software I can use to allow my computer to discover it I d really appreciate it Thanks for reading nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/second-hard-drive-failed-attempting-home-repair.949237/
Relevancy 100.19%

So this really irritates me because I just spent hundreds of dollars sending my laptop to HP last year because the hard drive completely failed. I have a 1TB hybrid hard drive and 22Gb solid state used for caching.  When I booted up my computer Intel Rapid Storage Technology said there was an issue.  When I opened it, it says that the status of: SATA disk (932 GB)(System) Accelerated, is Failed.  My SATA_Array_0001 22GB is fine though.  So I ran a System Quick Test,everything passed except Hard Drive Short DST Check: FAILEDFAILURE ID: Q4MP7Q-6RA82U-MFGJWK-60W303 This is weird because other than the computer telling me there is something wrong every time I restart it, It seems to run just fine.  Im just worried because I don't want it to randomly die on me one day.  

A:SATA disk failed and Hard Drive Short DST Check: Failed

Hi there @nmulji,  Thank you for joining in on the HP Support Forums and Welcome! This is a great place to ask questions, find solutions and get help from others in the community! I read your post on the HP Support Forums and understand that the Hard Drive in your HP ENVY TouchSmart 15t-j100 Select Edition CTO Notebook PC failed the Short DST Check.  SMART (Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology System) uses a technology known as predictive failure analysis to tell you when a hard drive failure is imminent. Have you tried to Restore the BIOS? If not, please try this step first. Then, just to be on the safe side, back up your data that way it does not get lost. However, there might be certain conditions that cause a hard drive failure message to display when a problem does not exist (a false positive). To fix false positive hard drive errors, please try updating the hard drive firmware. You can check whether an update is available by going to the  Get software and drivers page. You will need to put in your Model Number and then click the links that pertain to the computer configuration and see if a hard drive update is available.  You could also try to do a  Disk Defragment to consolidate files and move them to another section of the drive where errors are less likely to occur. Did this reply resolve your issue or answer your question? If yes, then please share the good news! Let others know this reply was helpful by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation by clicking the Thumbs Up. If you require further assistance, I would be more than happy to continue to help you. Please re-post with the results of the troubleshooting. Thanks! 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/SATA-disk-failed-and-Hard-Drive-Short-DST-Check-Failed/td-p/5596311
Relevancy 98.9%

The computer had a corrupted pci.sys file error. I tried to copy the file from a xp sp1 cd, and it wouldnt let me from the repair console. I did a repair and got an error message saying pci.sys was corrupted or something along those lines.

I decided to try the repair console with a windows xp home sp2 cd and it let me copy the pci.sys file to c:\windows\system32\ so now I think I have fixed the file.

When i go to load the computer xp automatically jumps to the installation screen because of the failed repair.

How can i get that to go away and have the computer boot to the hard drive?

do i need to edit the mbr or something?

thanks guys

A:XP Repair failed, no boot from hard drive now, jumps straight to install xp screen

could i boot into safe mode and edit the boot.ini file so it won't load that partial repair on boot up?

-update ... i tried to boot into safe mode and the comp throws an error that says windows can not boot into safe mode computer will be restarted.

Can I edit the boot.ini through repair console?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-repair-failed-no-boot-from-hard-drive-now-jumps-straight-to-install-xp-screen.808831/
Relevancy 94.17%

The hard drive in my laptop had to be replaced.  I had managed to back up the data to an external hard drive (which unfortunately did not also back up program files...).   Now, for most, but not all, of the folders in my Pictures library, there are no thumbnails, just a generic picture.  If I try to open a picture file, I get an error message saying "Photo Gallery can't open this photo because you do not have permission to access the file location."  I checked the permissions, and it appears that I have full permissions for these files, except for "special permissions."

I can create new folder on the desktop and then drag one of the inaccessible files into the new folder.    I get a message saying I need to provide administrator permission to move this file.  At this point if I click on "continue" the correct thumbnail shows up in the new folder.  

Ideas?

A:Hard drive failed, restored from backup, cannot access images in many folders

There's a few access control changing software applications... Here's one here that works.
edit: or here's some code to do it if you feel like being in control
We can change permissions recursively on drive c: (as described here), but one first have to take ownership of all files and folders by using the following command (on a command line "run as an administrator")
takeown /f "c:" /r
One then have to take explicitly ownership of the system folders such as windows, program files, program files (x86), ProgramData, and any other system file or folder that you want to change the permissions (you can determine which folder you have to take explicitly ownership, by seeing which folder windows denies to change permissions, or by right clicking the folder and trying manually to edit to permissions).
For example to change the ownership for the windows folder execute the following command
takeown /f "c:\windows" /r
After having correctly the ownership, then changing the permissions recursive will work

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/507978/hard-drive-failed-restored-from-backup-cannot-access-images-in-many-folders/
Relevancy 93.31%

Xp would not start because my hard drive went south. At least that's what Dell says. They got into my system to take a look see, and the conversation lasted all but a few minutes. Apparently that was the problem the whole time and i didn't know it. I have a refurbished one on order and hopefully it will be here soon. Gonna do the surgery myself. It looks pretty easy. I think installing the new burner was a little more diffucult. I didn't want to spend a whole lot because i'm gonna get a new computer in February. Any advise would be appreciated.

A:XP failed because hard drive failed....

Remember when installing the drive to unplug the computer and take out the battery if it is a laptop. Also avoid carpet or any static.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/365210/xp-failed-because-hard-drive-failed/
Relevancy 92.02%

I installed the latest round of Windows updates for my Win x install and it never completed ran for about hours so I powered off the machine Upon restarting it said Code quot Windows failed to start A recent hardware or software change might be the cause quot and has instructions for 7 failed Startup update failed boot. Windows and won't laptop repair using Windows 7 update failed and laptop won't boot. Startup repair failed system repair then at the bottom File Boot BCD Status Oxc f Info An error occurred while attempting to read the boot configuration data So I booted off a Windows recovery disk and figured Startup Repair would fix it Alas after it says quot Windows found problems with your computer's startup options quot and asks me if I want to repair I click quot repair and restart quot and it says quot Failed to save startup options quot Code The quot repair details quot are Name bootmgr Identifier The following options will be added Name Windows Recovery Environment recovered Path Recovery Winre wim Windows Device Partition D I've tried running Startup Repair from the manual options screen and it says it cannot repair automatically I have two partitions the MB windows System partition which Recovery Console mounts as C and my main windows partition which it mounts as D and I can see all of my files on it Running quot bootrec repairbcd quot gives me quot Total identified Windows Installations quot I'm not sure if there might be something fishy with the way it's detecting my partition table I just have a single drive and a single installation of Win on it When I run diskpart in recovery and do list vol I get Code Volume Ltr Label FS Type Size Status Info Volume C System NTFS Partition MB Healthy Volume D NTFS Partition GB Healthy It seems that it's detecting the MB recovery partition or whatever that is as C I'm not sure if one of these is supposed to be active or how Windows updates would even screw that up but something is weird because it won't detect my windows install This sucks Help

A:Windows 7 update failed and laptop won't boot. Startup repair failed

Have you run bootrec /fixmbr and bootrec /fixboot?
Then, if it doesn't boot, run bootrec /RebuildBcd (from this KB article: How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows )

c0000005 is STATUS_NO_SUCH_FILE - which means it can't find File: \Boot\BCD

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/164865-windows-7-update-failed-laptop-wont-boot-startup-repair-failed.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Hello Windows has been failing to boot and when I ran a startup repair I got the following Problem signature Problem Event Name StartupRepairOffline Problem Signature Problem Signature Problem Signature unknown Problem Signature Problem Signature AutoFailover Problem Signature Problem Signature BadDriver OS Version Locale ID No new devices have been added to this computer recently Problem first started with extremely long boot time into Windows FRST Report shows Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST x Version - - Ran by SYSTEM on Start Offline Driver Failed To Startup Failed Bad Windows Repair 7 MININT-DP NLO - - Running from g Platform Windows Professional Service Pack X Language English United States Internet Explorer Version Boot Mode Recovery Default ControlSet ATTENTION gt If the system is bootable FRST must be run from normal or Safe mode to create a complete log Tutorial for Farbar Recovery Scan Tool http www geekstogo com forum topic -frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool Registry Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist Windows 7 Failed To Start Startup Repair Failed Offline Bad Driver the registry item will be Windows 7 Failed To Start Startup Repair Failed Offline Bad Driver restored to default or removed The file will Windows 7 Failed To Start Startup Repair Failed Offline Bad Driver not be moved HKLM Run RTHDVCPL gt C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtkNGUI exe - - Realtek Semiconductor HKLM Run RtHDVBg gt C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVBg exe - - Realtek Semiconductor HKLM Run IAStorIcon gt C Program Files Intel Intel reg Rapid Storage Technology IAStorIcon exe - - Intel Corporation HKLM Run AtherosBtStack gt C Program Files x Dell Wireless Bluetooth Suite btvstack exe - - Atheros Commnucations HKLM Run AthBtTray gt C Program Files x Dell Wireless Bluetooth Suite athbttray exe - - Atheros Commnucations HKLM Run MSC gt c Program Files Microsoft Security Client msseces exe - - Microsoft Corporation HKLM-x Run USB MON gt C Program Files x Intel Intel reg USB eXtensible Host Controller Driver Application iusb mon exe - - Intel Corporation HKLM-x Run Client Access Service gt C Program Files x IBM Client Access cwbsvstr exe - - IBM Corporation HKLM-x Run C Program Files x D-Link D-ViewCam MainConsole EXE gt C Program Files x D-Link D-ViewCam MainConsole exe - - D-Link Corporation HKLM-x Run APSDaemon gt C Program Files x Common Files Apple Apple Application Support APSDaemon exe - - Apple Inc HKLM-x Run ScanSnap WIA Service Checker gt C Windows SSDriver fi SsWiaChecker exe HKLM-x Run HP Software Update gt C Program Files x Hp HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe - - Hewlett-Packard HKLM-x Run gt X HKLM-x Run StatusAlerts gt C Program Files x HP StatusAlerts bin HPStatusAlerts exe - - Hewlett-Packard Company HKLM-x Run iTunesHelper gt C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe - - Apple Inc HKLM-x Run EEventManager gt C Program Files x EPSON Creativity Suite Event Manager EEventManager exe - - SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION Winlogon Notify GoToAssist Express Customer C Program Files x Citrix GoToAssist Remote Support Customer g ax winlogonx dll Citrix Online a division of Citrix Systems Inc Services Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist it will be removed from the registry The file will not be moved unless listed separately S Cwbrxd C Windows cwbrxd exe - - IBM Corporation S GoToAssist Remote Support Customer C Program Files x Citrix GoToAssist Remote Support Customer g ax service exe - - Citrix Online a division of Citrix Systems Inc S HP DS Service C Program Files x HP HPBDSService HPBDSService exe - - Hewlett-Packard Company S IAStorDataMgrSvc C Program Files Intel Intel reg Rapid Storage Technology IAStorDataMgrSvc exe - - Intel Corporation S IconMan R C Program Files x Realtek Realtek USB Card Reader RIconMan exe - - Realsil Microelectronics Inc S MsMpSvc c Program Files Microsoft Security Client MsMpEng exe - - Microsoft Corporation S NisSrv c Program Files Microsoft Security C... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599441/windows-7-failed-to-start-startup-repair-failed-offline-bad-driver/
Relevancy 90.73%

I am currently using windows ultimate x I was in the middle of a process restoring my computer to a few days back and suddenly it froze i did a power shut down and when i turned it back on i wasn't able to get back into windows i was brought to startup repair and it gave me errors 'Boot manager failed to find OS loader quot there was options for restoring but all my restore points were gone recovery wasn't able to find image backup quot startup repair cannot repair this computer automatically quot so i did some research before i came here i was told to go into safe mode to restore but whenever i enter safe mode startup repair would FAILED Repair Failed Find Load. to Startup OS take over and shows the same errors also i read a tutorial Failed to Find OS Load. Startup Repair FAILED using a repair disc made a copy of it on someone elses ultimate x computer and i get the x e error if i boot from disc what can i do as of now i dont have the installation disc with me i wont be able to get hold of it until tomorrow theres a lot of important files in that hard drive and i really Failed to Find OS Load. Startup Repair FAILED cant lose any any help would be greatly appreciated thanks

A:Failed to Find OS Load. Startup Repair FAILED

If you can't use a system repair disk, then you could simply reinstall Windows on the same hard drive. You don't need to format the hard drive during installation, just select your main hard drive and install, that way you can preserve your files. The files will be in "Windows.Old" after installation in your "Local Disk".

Also, make sure your repair CD is 64-bit, like your system. Try to access your BIOS, by pressing the "Delete" key; it's different for various mktherboards, and select your CD-ROM to be first to boot. Might help, I'm not sure. If it helps, we'll start from there.

You'll want to select "Command Prompt" from the repair disk, we'll need it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/190150-failed-find-os-load-startup-repair-failed.html
Relevancy 89.01%

I forgot to turn off the external cooling fan when closing the laptop(putting it to sleep). It eventually drain the battery and didn't hibernate gracefully & caused disk error. 1. Win 7 Home premium couldn't boot up, tried repair & just hang. 2. Diagnostic disk check shows 303 error, which means the disk is toasted. Ordering new disk. 3. I have the HP recovery disks but they are not bootable. All the other recovery solutions rely on running recovery manager but I can't even load windows. 4. I tried to find win 7 iso file but they are no longer available or the OEM product key won't let me download one from microsoft.http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-from-digital-river/https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7 5. I have backup all the important files using Paragon so I am ready to wipe the disk clean. What should I do next to reinstall the system?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Windows-7-failed-to-start-amp-repair-failed/td-p/5683122
Relevancy 88.15%

Hi There I'm getting the errors below and but I have not got any BSOD The errors I'm getting in nbsp eventviewer are Pku ulog failed to start xC-- Negolog failed to start IDListenLog failed to start P PLog failed to start and HomegroupLog failed to start all with the same failure code xC-- This is what the logs files says about each error Pku ulog Unknown GUID c a fb- a -d - -dc e a No Format Information found p plog Unknown GUID fc d ca -e c - c-be -e e a bbf No Format Information found negolog Unknown GUID f- f start, failed to Negolog and all P2PLog to Errors failed start, 0xC-- Pku2ulog HomegroupLog 0xC--35, failure to 35. start, to with failed start code IDListenLog the failed same start to failed a- -ddb - ab ad d No Format Information found idlistenlog Unknown GUID a f-b - - aa- ef No Format Information found homegrouplog Errors Pku2ulog failed to start 0xC--35, Negolog failed to start, IDListenLog failed to start, P2PLog failed to start and HomegroupLog failed to start, all with the same failure code 0xC-- 35. Unknown GUID f a a- - ede-ff b-dd dafeed No Format Information found However the 'Unknown xx ' number changes times to times Could you help me please Thank you very much for your attention Best Regards

A:Errors Pku2ulog failed to start 0xC--35, Negolog failed to start, IDListenLog failed to start, P2PLog failed to start and HomegroupLog failed to start, all with the same failure code 0xC-- 35.

Hi,
If you have Home group set up, please go to Control Panel ? Network and Sharing Center. Choose homegroup and sharing options and click ?Leave the homegroup?.Juke Chou
TechNet Community Support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/15c580c0-cbfd-48aa-b058-2de145336920/errors-pku2ulog-failed-to-start-0xc35-negolog-failed-to-start-idlistenlog-failed-to-start?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 86.86%

Hi Thanks for running this taken: failed : Action Clean : - Access failed denied Symantec Quarantine great service I get the following msg from Symantec AV Corporate Edition Program Scan engine Scan type Realtime Protection Scan Event Virus Found Virus name Infostealer Symantec - Action taken: Clean failed : Quarantine failed : Access denied Wowcraft File C Program Files Common Files AOL ACS buymnell dll Location C Program Symantec - Action taken: Clean failed : Quarantine failed : Access denied Files Common Files AOL ACS Computer JAI User J A I Action taken Clean failed Quarantine failed Access denied Date found Mon Apr System Config XP SP Here goes the Hijackthis extract Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System WLTRYSVC EXE C WINDOWS System bcmwltry exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Cisco Systems VPN Client cvpnd exe C Program Files Symantec Client Security Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C Program Files Google Common Google Updater GoogleUpdaterService exe c program files mcafee com agent mcdetect exe c PROGRA mcafee com vso mcshield exe c PROGRA mcafee com agent mctskshd exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C PROGRA McAfee com PERSON MpfService exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Microsoft SQL Server MSSQL MICROSOFTSMLBIZ Binn sqlservr exe C Program Files Symantec Client Security Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system wdfmgr exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C WINDOWS system WLTRAY exe C WINDOWS stsystra exe C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C WINDOWS system igfxsrvc exe C Program Files McAfee com VSO oasclnt exe C PROGRA McAfee SPAMKI MskAgent exe C Program Files McAfee com VSO mcvsshld exe C PROGRA McAfee com PERSON MpfTray exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe c progra mcafee com vso mcvsescn exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD DVDLauncher exe C Program Files Symantec Client Security Symantec AntiVirus vptray exe C WINDOWS system RunDLL exe C Program Files Google Google Talk googletalk exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exe C PROGRA Yahoo MESSEN ymsgr tray exe c progra mcafee com vso mcvsftsn exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C PROGRA McAfee com PERSON MpfAgent exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Skype Plugin Manager SkypePM exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe c program files mcafee com vso mcmnhdlr exe c program files mcafee com shared mghtml exe C Program Files Symantec Client Security Symantec AntiVirus VPC EXE C Program Files HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL www google com ig dell hl en amp client dell-usuk-rel amp channel us amp ibd R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www dell com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www dell com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search Default Page URL www google com ig dell hl en amp client dell-usuk-rel amp channel us amp ibd R - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - no file O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO McAfee AntiPhishing Filter - D ED - CFF- - A - EBB AF - c PROGRA mcafee SPAMKI mcapfbho dll O - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS syst... Read more

A:Symantec - Action taken: Clean failed : Quarantine failed : Access denied

Hi, Welcome to TSG!!

You have two anti-virus programs running, which will cause trouble. Uninstall one of them. Restart the machine and post a new HJT log.

Download this tool to your desktop:
http://www.uploads.ejvindh.net/rootchk.exe
Run the program. After a short time a logfile will turn up. Copy the contents of the log into the thread.

Notice: Some security-programs prevent the creation of dummy drivers with certain names. This may cause false positives. If the log of rootchk contains a lot of hidden drivers, you may want to turn of your security programs while rootchk is scanning (you should then unhook your network connection as well)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/symantec-action-taken-clean-failed-quarantine-failed-access-denied.563079/
Relevancy 82.99%

I had x TB drives in a parity pool It started to fill up so i added a fourth TB drive and months later one of the original began to fail on me Performance was slow then slower then it showed disconnected I retired the drive and added a replacement literally the same model TB drive I cannot however get it to remove the failed physical disk and repair the pool I even tried adding another TB drive i had available in case it needed the extra space didn't make sense but i was Drive - Repair Unable to / Remove Spaces Storage Failed Pool reaching I get the quot drive could not be removed because not all data could be reallocated add an additional drive to this pool and reattempt this operation quot Any ideas on what i need to do I have searched a lot and don't really seem to be getting anywhere The only way i was able to retire the drive was through powershell I'm assuming it's a GUI issue and perhaps i'm not approaching it correctly via powershell Attempting to repair virtual disk didn't work Any help is appreciated I really don't want to lose this data I wasn't able to backup much before the drive failed completely

A:Storage Spaces - Unable to Remove Failed Drive / Repair Pool

Nada??

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/41018-storage-spaces-unable-remove-failed-drive-repair-pool.html
Relevancy 82.13%

Had this laptop for about 6 years, had a few issues in the past, but nothing major like this. After, I ran a system dianostic, the result shown that the Hard drive short DST failed. Not totally sure how to do a recovery, I do have the Recovery Discs, so I searched up how to run the discs; turned on the system- press f11-  window loading files- window starting- then it just stuck on a window blue screen with nothing but the cursor. Can I even use the Recovery Discs? I want to replace the old HDD with a new SSD, but I'm not sure if I have to install a new OS or can I recover the old hard drive OS and transfer to the SSD?

A:Hard Drive failure (Hard Drive Short DST Check: Failed)

DST:Fail means  the hard drive has failed and will need to be replaced. If you are still in warranty HP will send a replacement. If not a retail laptop SATA hard drive can be used. Just be sure to get one of at least equal capacity as the original in order to use Recovery Discs. It can be larger, but not smaller capacity.For instance if you have a 500GB hdd you could use a 750GB hdd but not a 320GB hdd.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Drive-failure-Hard-Drive-Short-DST-Check-Failed/td-p/5789622
Relevancy 82.13%

hi all,
i hope someone can help me out, i am a newbie to all this so bare with me.
my hard drive failed over a month ago but i managed to do a system image with win7 to my new 2tb internal hard drive. i cannot get the image recovery to work as i says "no image can be found on hard disk". i am at a loss from there. I have tried and cried over this as its driving me mad as i have no pc.

Leroy

A:hard drive failed, system image not found on hard drive

just to add really that the system image is on my new hard drive (2tb internal). i use the boot dvd and i get a far as "repair my computer" click on it, sometimes i get message saying not compatable with this version of windows other times it lets me on to next bit, then says no image can be found on hard drive. if i go through the load drivers i can see my hard drive with items on it. ie windowsbackup and others. again i am at a loss with this, any help would be greatful.

Leroy

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/314470-hard-drive-failed-system-image-not-found-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 81.27%

So, I just bought Windows 8 Pro less than two weeks ago and my hard drive failed. So I had to install Windows 8 on one of my other drives but now I can't activate it with the same code.

A:Hard Drive failed.

Microsoft normally does not consider a hard drive change as a "system change" like they would for some other hardware such as a motherboard. Are you positive you are entering the correct product key?

You may have to contact Microsoft to get it activated. I had to do that with Windows 7 on a motherboard change (exact replacement for a failed motherboard).

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/13335-hard-drive-failed.html
Relevancy 81.27%

i have a almost year old computer. i have a 80 gb hard drive and this morning i downloaded ares and downloaded some music(ya i know stupid.) well later today i was talking to my friends on aim and the computer just froze so i just restarted it and the computer came up as if saying it needed to boot off a cd. so i used my windows xp cd and put that in and that just ended up saying the hard drive had failed or something very similar to that so i used my rescue disks and it says the boot has failed so i have no clue what to do. i really need some help here. thanxs.

A:Com. says hard drive has failed

my brother says he can do a system restore but he wont be home till monday. so any of u guys could tell me how to that would be great!!! thanxs

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/com-says-hard-drive-has-failed.17602/
Relevancy 81.27%

Okay I was sure that my hard drive failed I booted up my computer and it hung at the post Detecting IDE drives Hung think... Hard drive I ? failed... there for ages and the only way I could Hard drive failed... I think... ? turn it off was by forcing it to shutdown holding down the power button I tried rebooting several times after that Hard drive failed... I think... ? with zero results Power was on and fans were cranking It even seemed like the hard drive was spinning But nothing was coming thru The monitor stayed in power save mode My assumption was that the hard disk failed and wasn t providing any quot boot up information quot So of course I buy a new hard drive Now that I think about it though it sounds like I have a different problem Even with the new hard drive installed I Hard drive failed... I think... ? have the same problem power fans hard drive spinning but nothing I ve reset the CMOS with no success Any suggestions Please help Running AMD XP on Soyo Ultra Dragon KT M B Mb RAM GeForce Ti Mb Vid nbsp

A:Hard drive failed... I think... ?

One of your ram sticks has probably died. Put the original hd back in and take one ram stick out and see if it boots. If it dosn't, take the other stick out and put tthe first stick back in.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-failed-i-think.207201/
Relevancy 81.27%

My computer just suffered a massive failure I m not sure where to start but I decided to post in the Windows XP section since it failed to boot After installing a program I was promoted to restart I did so and Windows froze at the sign-in screen It says quot Windows is starting up quot and shows the Windows logo Normally that would go Hard RAM? Failed Drive or away quickly and I would be shown the three different users Except it never comes up It just stays saying quot Windows is starting up quot Here the plot thickens I have an older verison of Ubuntu installed on my PC for any such emergencies I do a hard shutdown and tell my computer to reboot into Linux Ubuntu tries to run a consistancy check on my hard drive and it fails and Ubuntu fails to boot This is where it gets interesting and the only point that makes me Failed Hard Drive or RAM? uncertain that this isn t a failed hard drive I put Failed Hard Drive or RAM? in the Ubuntu Live CD to go on the internet and look for help but that failed to boot I assumed that Linux Live CD s used RAM not hard drives to boot up So it doesn t seem like it matters Both my slave and my master drives are older the slave is years old the master is years old Windows is installed on the master and Ubuntu is installed on the slave and I find it unlikely that both failed Which makes me wonder if its the RAM or or something My computer s stats Intel Pentium Ghz NVIDIA GeForce MB MB SDRAM Master Drive Hitachi GB Slave Drive Seagate GB Does anybody have any suggestions Maybe just let the drives cool down and they ll boot nbsp

A:Failed Hard Drive or RAM?

X: http://www.memtest86.com/download.html. Go there and download an ISO image of Memtest86, burn it to a CD and use it to test your memory. Of course, you'll have to do this on another machine that boots
Boot with the disk in your CD drive and it will run. Run for about 7 passes or longer.
If it's not the memory problem, then go to the HDD maker's site and download their Diagnostic tool. It, too, will boot and run a check of your HDD. At least you'll know if those 2 devices are problematic.
Another way is to boot with your XP disk in the drive and go to the Recovery Console.
At the prompt, type chksk /r, press Enter. It will check the HDD. When it finishes and there is no problem, at the prompt, type fixboot, press Enter. Then see if it will boot.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/failed-hard-drive-or-ram.608430/
Relevancy 81.27%

The hard drive failed on my computer last week it has now been replaced.
Is there any way the stored information can be recovered from the disc.
If not what should i do with it destroy the hard drive or are they repairable.
thanks
adrian jones

Relevancy 81.27%

Have to replace my hard drive,The old one is finished and no data is recoverablehave some back up dvd s made with rescue and recoverywill that restore my computer to that date or one is better to use  8cd recovery disksto reinstall windows to the original factory state. next if one is able to get a copy of xp pro   how does one install the os if one does not have the sata driversthanks in advance for your help  

Lenovo 3000 J105 (8258HBU)

A:HARD DRIVE FAILED

Hi North450,

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!

I?m sorry to hear that the HDD was not working and is replaced in your J105 Desktop, if you have created the recovery discs before the HDD got crashed. I suggest you to install the OS (Operating System) using the Recovery discs to factory reset as it will create the default recommended partitions required for the computer and I?m sorry to inform you that the SATA drivers are not available in our support website for Windows Xp, but can be download from the Intel. Below is the link to download the driver:

Intel Download Center

Do post us back for further queries.

Best Regards

Shiva Kumar

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Beacon-Stick-300-D-J-and/HARD-DRIVE-FAILED/td-p/1339989
Relevancy 81.27%

I have two hard drives in my computer, but it seems one of them is not longer working. The computer can not longer detect the hard driver, and I hear noises as the HD is trying to turn on, and is like turning on and off.

My question is can I use the system restore to recover any files from this driver?

I'm using XP pro, with service pack 2.

Thank you for your time.

Relevancy 81.27%

The laptop was purchased In Drive Hard Failed hard drive failed and was replaced For the past - months the system has been very slow and unable to Failed Hard Drive run certain applications Two days ago I decided to do a reset recovery and it failed One of the options listed after failure was to return Failed Hard Drive to Windows when selected that option the system would not reboot and the Dell logo would just flash off and on nbsp I tried doing a recovery restore with the USB key and it failed nbsp Via directions from your website I ran a test and received the following error - validation HARD DRIVE FAILURE nbsp AGAIN REALLY A new hard drive every year nbsp I believe this machine falls under the term quot LEMON quot There is something wrong with a laptop that requires a new hard drive every year nbsp When I contacted Dell support all I received was confirmation of the error code notification that my warranty had expired and nbsp instructions on how to have the machine serviced and what it would cost to do so When I questioned the need of a third hard drive in three years I was told heavy usage could cause it such as gaming nbsp The laptop was not used for gaming purposes and he could offer no other reason why a hard drive would continue to fail nbsp I m really leery of spending the money to replace the hard drive again nbsp wondering if this time next year I will be faced with the same dilemma Suggestions thoughts HELP nbsp If a new hard drive is indeed needed based on the history of the laptop I truly believe Dell should offer to replace it at their expense We have several Dell products and some with a lot heavier usage than this one nbsp and have never had such problems This laptop is a LEMON If you are unable to help would you please forward me information to someone in the DELL organization that can

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19990933
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi. My HP laptop was 4 days over the one year when the Hard Drive failed (well the test says it has failed). If I buy a new hard drve, how can i get the Windows 10 re-applied?Also, how easy is it to find the original Microsoft code that i was provided with when i bought th laptop, from what i have read, i need to first put the Windows 8 that the laptop came with back on, and then put it through for the free upgrade to Windows 10 (which i did last August).Many thanks. rpb218 

A:Hard Drive Failed

Hi, As you've previously upgraded to Windows 10, a hardware profile of your machine will have been saved by the activation servers. As long as the previous installation of Windows 10 had activated Ok after the upgrade from 8.1, you can just create your own installation media and perform a clean installation as detailed in the guide on the following link.  Note: At the activation screen, select 'I don't have a Product key' - Windows will activate automatically once the installation has completed. http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/ Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Drive-Failed/td-p/5688704
Relevancy 81.27%

Hey everyone!

I was told hard drives can break down & have to be replaced.
hard drives with moving parts that is.
My question is if my hard drive where to fail, I would have to buy a new one and install windows vista first to go to my windows 7 or can i just install windows 7 on it?
Not sure if you understand what I mean, if not let me know please.

I just want to keep this in mind because you never know what can happen.

Happy birthday to me (-:

A:failed hard drive

Well it depends if you bought a full install of windows 7 or just the upgrade. If you only bought the upgrade then you have to install vista then go to W7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/140507-failed-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 81.27%

My hard drive failed and i can not boot up my computer or even reinstall windows 7. Is there anyway to fix my hard drive? I've read somewhere that putting it in an anti-static bag and then in the freezer will help it be usable. So overall, is there anyway to continue using this hard drive or do i have to buy another one.

A:Hard Drive Failed, anyway to fix?

If you're like to freeze your Hard Drive and it is one that goes cheap...i guess you better buy a new one...
or
If you have Data to recover perhaps you could give a try.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/256452-hard-drive-failed-anyway-fix.html
Relevancy 81.27%

After hours of work i have concluded that my hard drive (500gb 340 used data gone) has failed *sigh*. Not looking for suggestions just bored so i posted this. Until the new hdd comes in i'm having to use this really old laptop that is on its last leg.

A:Hard Drive Failed =[

Are you positive? It doesn't spin?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-failed.794112/
Relevancy 81.27%

I Have a Western Digital 20 GB Hard Drive that when i start up system it says primary hard drive failed. how can i get the info that is in hard drive and transfer to another drive i have been told that i can change the logic board will this work. help[/ U]

Relevancy 81.27%

Help, my new hard drive failed

I just got at new Wd 160gb hard drive. It was working fine originally but since I have a old computer I have to upgrade the BIOS to use up the new HD potential. Problem is the HD disappear with the new BIOS. ** Everytime it pluged in (New HD) the HD auto detection can't find any hard drive (No matter it was placed as single master or dual master/dual slave). Remove the new HD and everything work fine. ** Go back to the OLD BIOS and the problem is still there. Can you please tell me what 's the problem. Should I return the HD for a different one ? THank

BIOS Type : Award Modular BIOS V4.51DG
Date : 02/26/99
ID : 02/26/99-i440BX-W83977-2A69KTG9C-00
OEM : TRM-P6B40-A4x-V1.07
Chipset : Intel 440BX/ZX rev 3

A:Is my new hard drive failed

HD's that size for a while were coming with a PCI expantion card because windows doesn't allow for a hd of that size.
This could be your problem.
Otherwise without know your o/s etc.. it's hard to say

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-my-new-hard-drive-failed.10573/
Relevancy 81.27%

Hi, I have one SATA 2 hard drive gone down in a Raid Array 0-Stripe
Is there any way I can salvage or back up any information on the Array?
I've got the PC running off another IDE drive with the array being seen, but one disk in the array has an error
Dave.

Relevancy 81.27%

On the computer of mine that crashed, apparently the hard drive failed and it scraped a few things off with it. Is there a program that detects damaged files and will tell me what those files are? It's apparently only stuff in my account, and some pictures are half-missing their thumbnails, but with programs, videos, and music, it's hard to tell what is damaged. Can anyone help?

A:Hard Drive Failed

A good freeware program is PCInspector File Recovery ( http://www.pcinspector.de ) But it is a bit confusing to use.A good program for checking your drive for what you can recover is provided at http://www.runtime.org (it's called GetDataBack) - it's easy to use and it's free to check and see what's recoverable. BUT, it's a bit expensive ($80 US) if you choose to use it to recover your stuff.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/105064/hard-drive-failed/
Relevancy 81.27%

Help seems like my hard drive may have failed can anyone advise

A:Help hard drive failed

Sure but first you have to help us help you. What kind of laptop are we talking about?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Help-hard-drive-failed/td-p/5717432
Relevancy 81.27%

We have a Dell XPS One 2720 that was setup at our Rescue Squad and is out of warranty. No problem, I can replace the hard drive but non on created system discs or backups and my look at Dell.com for drivers will not allow me to download the drives ahead of time so I can install them when I install the new drive and install Windows 10. It appears I may be able to order the system discs from Dell that I think will have Windows 8 Pro and hopefully the drivers/programs that would bring the system back to where it was when new.
Is there a way to download just the drivers that won't try to auto install or expand when downloaded? I want them on a USB memory stick ready to install after loading Windows 10. Suggestions welcomed. 
Thanks,
Steve

A:Failed Hard Drive

Was the PC already upgraded to Win 10 or did it only have Win 8.1?
Dell no longer provides reinstallation media since it's available from Microsoft.
If the PC had Win 8.1, you can clean install Win 10 by using the ISO file to create your own bootable DVD, and it should recognize the Win 8.1 product key in BIOS and activate itself. If it previously had Win 10, it will activate again.  
You should be able to manually download all the Win 10 drivers here, and save them on a USB stick for transfer to the 2720. You will just have to know what hardware you have (eg video card), but you can find that info using your Service Tag on the Support site by checking the System Configuration link. Just don't add the drivers to a "Download List".
And remember that drivers have to be installed in the correct order, starting with the chipset drivers...

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19974575
Relevancy 80.41%

Hello! I tried to start up the system but it failed with an error: 1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure.Failing Drive: SATA0Failing Attribute: #B8 After the system test it showed Failure ID: 9GDUHL-7QX83T-GXPSMG-60DL03Product ID: J4W69AA#ABL Could you help on forum or we should contact repair service. Thanks!

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Failed to start Hard Drive 301

Hi, You're welcome. Check Newegg or Amazon for a replacement HDD. Here's what is in your PC now. You have a Hybrid HDD.Size: 1 TB HDDCache: 8 GB SSD for fast accelerationInterface: SATAWidth: 6.4 cm (2.5 in)You can replace with the same or buy a 1 TB SSD. The 1 TB SSD is somewhat pricey but will provide better performance by not being limited to only an 8 GB SSD cache. Stick with a 1 TB size drive or you will have a problem reinstalling the HP factory image.  Win 10 will install on any size SSD. So you can buy a 500 GB SSD or even a 250 GB SSD. You just won't be able to install the HP factory OS on those drives. Jay  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Failed-to-start-Hard-Drive-301/td-p/5605589
Relevancy 80.41%

Hello everyone I recently purchased a brand spankin new HP computer running Vista Home Premium It is a Ghz Core Duo processor GB of Dual channel RAM and it used to have GB HDDs in a RAID configuration However all that changed earlier today I came home from the mall and on my computer screen was something very unusual Instead of my desktop the screen was black with a blinking text entry area in the upper left I Drive? failed Reformatting Hard hit enter and a message appeared quot Disk read failure Insert system disks and reboot quot However the computer had come pre-installed with Vista So I just rebooted and during the normal startup procedure I came to a setup screen It displayed both of my hard drives and said that both were unbootable However I reset not reformatted my first hard drive and Reformatting failed Hard Drive? ta-da RAID saved the day and I was able to boot into Vista This still leaves an issue I have an unbootable unusable HDD in my computer Is there anyway I can reformat the second hard drive so that I can use it again and set up my RAID again Or is it completely gone and I should buy a new HDD Any thoughts or comments are appreciated Thank You robot nbsp

Relevancy 80.41%

Hi all I am having a huge problem at the moment I purchased a new Hitachi Deskstar K TB hard drive MAR a few days ago and transferred all my data to it after a few hours use including Hard Need FAILED:( Drive Help ASAP important documents and now it has stopped working it does not Hard Drive FAILED:( Need Help ASAP spin at all I have purchased from the same store another hard drive of the same model all the firmware is the same FM and I switched the boards but this has not made a difference I really need help in this matter as I will be loosing a Hard Drive FAILED:( Need Help ASAP lot of data some very important I have not contacted the store yet as I dont want to risk someone getting access to that data Is there any way I can recover this data should I try the freezer option if not can I destroy the data so there is no chance Hard Drive FAILED:( Need Help ASAP of future recovery if I return it to the store put a magnet on it Any help is greatly appreciated thank you

A:Hard Drive FAILED:( Need Help ASAP

I would suggest contacting Tech support with your problem, they may say that the can attempt to recover your data when you RMA the drive
In the event of destroying your data a "very strong" magnet may very well work but the only sure way i know of is to take a lump hammer to the drive its self which OC you wont want to do if your planning on retuning the drive....
If you RMA back to Hitachi then they must deal with the drive and your data in the most professional manor
Im sorry i cant be of more help to you than i have but hold out and someone may very will have a solution

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/180089-hard-drive-failed-need-help-asap.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I wanted to post my experience so that other members of the greater community can gain from my mishap and the overcoming of it I plugged a wrong power supply into my external hard drive which fried the circuit board on the back of the drive The Hard drive would not power up or show on my computer This posed a problem to me in several ways the major of which was that it was full with gig of important information like all my childrens photo s of the last years needless to say I panicked I scoured the internet to see what I could do - praise to Google I learned that it could be failed internally the board on the back of the drive has failed or something else The drive failed to work in another external case so I knew it was the drive and Failed drive dead hard not the case I learned that I was up for anywhere from AUD - AUD to have the data professionally Failed dead hard drive recovered As I rang each company they would state how they were the best and put doubts in my head as to other companies This was confusing for me and something that Failed dead hard drive I would have to do as a last resort the data was more important than the money I went to a computer store and bought the same HDD - seagate GB Upon returning home I swapped the Boards on the back My failed drive jumped into action and powered up I heard the heads of the drive release and then it started to read then powered down I later learned that the drive has a firmware and the board must match the drive When the drive read the firmware it conflicted and shut the drive down This indicated to me that the drive was ok it was the board on the back of the drive that was the problem I came to the conclusion that if fixed the original board then the drive would perhaps work My research took a different path now I was looking for a company who fixed circuit boards I rang a few companies who stated that they did not do that kind of work I then rang and spoke to Bruce Rowe from TESTRONICS a small company in Melbourne Although Bruce could not promise anything he did say that he would have a look at the drive and see what the problem was I sent Bruce both the drives and the external case giving him permission to use the other board as parts for the drive Bruce worked his magic and determined that there were dead components on the failed drive and using the new drive he was able to fix the old drive I now have all my precious data back and backed up of course Bruce also kept me informed of where he was up to at each stage of the process I post this message out of sheer gratitude for Bruce and his company TESTRONICS He pushed his boundaries broadened his skill base and helped me in my time of need without taking advantage of me financially like all the other data recovery companies Please I am not trying to have a go at other data recovery options - if my drive was damaged internally then it would have been my only approach to get my data back They too have a vital role to play in data recovery I just don t understand how they justify for recovery Thanks for reading and hope that this information helps any other person stuck in my position Testronics website is below http www testronics com au contact us htm nbsp

A:Failed dead hard drive

Glad you got your data!

One tool that might prove handy to keep on hand and that has rescued me in the past is a usb hard drive cable. I have IDE ones; I am sure by now they probably have ones that will also read SATA drives. It lets you connect to the pins on the back and then to a usb port on a computer. They don't cost alot and I have been successful getting data off drives that were otherwise unbootable.

Of course, regular backup would save us all. But....who's got time for THAT? :O

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/failed-dead-hard-drive.686121/
Relevancy 80.41%

All if sudden my system began running a pc diagnosis and was stuck for hours. After taking the steps to run a quick and extensive test they both failed on hard drive. Failure ID 6BSNKV-7PN83S-MFPV6K-60T303

A:Hard drive test failed

Your hard drive has failed and needs to be replaced.  Once you replace the hard drive then you'll need to reinstall the operating system (OS) and software/drivers so that your system is operational.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Hard-drive-test-failed/td-p/5605067
Relevancy 80.41%

I have hard drives in a RAID span set up and one of them finally bit the dust It was Hard now? proceed How - failed to drive a Maxtor that failed the other is a WD They are both GB drives Now mind you I knew this was coming as the drives had been exhibiting erratic behavior for some time now and refused to be defragmented I have backed up most of my important stuff so I have chosen to format the WD drive the one that is still good I checked both with the tool on the Maxtor site and just use that one drive by itself Now how would I go about doing this Would I simply unplug the Maxtor and leave the WD by itself and install windows on Hard drive failed - How to proceed now? it after formatting it What about the RAID will I Hard drive failed - How to proceed now? have to get rid of it somehow IE is it implanted into the mobo itself Sorry for all the questions and I am typing from a different computer obviously I guess so I can still provide feedback during the harddrive changing process I am running Windows XP home nbsp

Relevancy 80.41%

OS failed

I was trying to ghost(image)a 80 gig hard drive from a 30 gig when the 30 gig winxp os failed. I could read the drive in slave mode and I was trying to manually transfer files and I ran into a problem. To accounts on the old 30 gig have administration rights and won't let get into the files. Is there any way of getting into it? I tried safe mode and the slave drive doesn't even open.

A:Winxp pro OS failed/hard drive

try this
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=308421

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/winxp-pro-os-failed-hard-drive-94927.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi all.

Recently one of my hard drives failed , I tried a different SATA port but it did not help. I disconnected it as it was making the system lock up for minutes at a time. About a week later I plugged it in again replugged the power connector and, lo and behold, it works perfectly . I got it about a month ago so it is still on warranty, but it's working now. What should I do? I don't want to have it fail again and this time lose my data for good. Is this likely?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Relevancy 80.41%

Smart Hard drive: failed MBU0Q0-6NP85Q-MFGJXG-60CD03Was attempting a factory restore and this error came up?Thanks

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Smart-Hard-drive-failed/td-p/5676681
Relevancy 80.41%

I have a 250gb Lacie usb2.0 hard drive that stopped working today. The computer doesn't recognize it and hangs up or doesn't restart if the drive is connected. It powers up and makes a series of ticking sounds. I took the enclosure off and connected the internal drive (barracuda) to the IDE port - same symptoms. I tried it with different computers to no avail.

I went out and bought a duplicate drive, opened it up and opened the cover of the inner drive itself only to see 2 platters. I read somewhere that there is no way of swapping double platters between the drives. I did NOT open up my own drive.

Can I try anything else? The 200gb data in it is extremely important. Is the next step to send it out to a service? Which one is the best? Thank you..

Relevancy 80.41%

When I woke up this morning I saw that something on my computer went haywire and every external drive and memory stick was ejected It was still on though so it wasn failed Hard just External drive t a power surge But then when I go to re-plug in my GB xHDD it tells me the quot This device has malfunctioned quot message For a while I m sad but then I swap cord only to find it it connects YAY However then the quot You must format this disk before you can use it quot message pops up and I get sad again This xHDD had everything on it My music my files and all my backups Is there anyway to get External Hard drive just failed into the disk and copy stuff out without formatting I would really like to save my files EDIT Update with a picture of my Disk Management screen K is the external Hard drive What the heck How could a disc go from functioning NTFS to raw in hours nbsp

A:External Hard drive just failed

The 1st thing to do is to remove the hard drive from the enclosure, and connect it to a desktop machine. You can then see how Windows reads the drive when connected directly to a desktop motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-just-failed.838894/
Relevancy 80.41%

How to fix this problem can I get my pictures off?Codes areFailure ID: Q0F3XG-000839-9XPJW1-60TB03Product H2N64AA#ABA

A:Hard Drive DST short failed

Kyle, welcome to the forum. This error message is telling you that your hard drive has failed.  Your only option is to replace it.  You can test it further using the SMART test from the BIOS.  When you replace it you should buy one the same size or larger.  If you didn't backup your personal data, you will not be able to retreive it.  You should begin doing this immediately after you replace the drive. Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Hard-Drive-DST-short-failed/td-p/5586053
Relevancy 80.41%

I have a failed hard drive. At boot time BIOS says Slave Hard Drive Error and then the drive does not show up in the Computer Manager. Is there any way to mount it (either in Linux or whatever) and run chkdsk or at least copy files?

I am running Windows XP Pro.

A:Anyway to mount a failed hard drive

Unless the bios IDs the drive, you are wasting your time attempting to run any type of diagnostic app.

Reseat the data and power cables for the drive. Power on and see if the bios recognizes the drive.

Have you tried a new cable and or different power connector?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/anyway-to-mount-a-failed-hard-drive.788712/
Relevancy 80.41%

Do I have to rebuild a fresh Windows XP in this situation before I can restore my recent Drive C backup from external drive Background year old internal Western Digital GB ATA hard drive crashed will not boot just clicks Contacted WD support who said drive is toast Also tried the freezer trick as well as the heating trick still clicks will not boot Have ordered a new GB ATA Western Digital hard drive When new drive hard failed Question regarding with drive XP arrives I plan to partition it Question regarding XP with failed hard drive with a GB larger partition for Drive C and format the partition My question is specific Am I going to have to rebuild a fresh copy of XP on the new Drive C before restoring the recent backup from an external drive or is there some way I can avoid the time-consuming system Question regarding XP with failed hard drive rebuild before Question regarding XP with failed hard drive I try the restore assuming that I will not be disallowed to restore a backup to a different size partitioned Drive C BTW the failed drive clicks in an unusual pattern clicks followed by a pause then clicks followed by a pause then clicks then spins down Does this - - pattern signify anything significant nbsp

Relevancy 80.41%

my dell vostro 3550 64 bit i5 windows 7. has just done a self test and come back saying hard drive critical

hard drive
model WDC WD3200BEKT-75PVMTO
SIZE 298.1GB
MARKETED SIZE 320GB
CACHE SIZE 16MB
ROTATION SPEED 7200RPM
STOREAGE 227.03 FREE OF 283.34GB

THE FAILED TESTS WERE
SMART SHORT SELF TEST WD16-F7B
TARGETED READ TEST WHD20-NPC

do i have to take to repair shop for new hard drive or is there anything i can do/try 1st. it is out of warranty and approx 3-4 years old

cheers peter

Relevancy 80.41%

My Dell laptop won't boot up. I pulled the hard drive and put it in a HD case and can access it through my desk top but, I can't get my documents to display...Is there free software that will fix this problem so I can recover any non damaged files?

Thanks

A:Xp Laptop Hard Drive Failed

Hello,

When you say that the documents wont display, could you give some more information on this area?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/149395/xp-laptop-hard-drive-failed/
Relevancy 80.41%

My out of warranty Pavilion All-in-One Desktop computer took about twenty tries before starting. I ran HP Self test and came up with"Hard Drive long DST Failed"  Failure ID RGD5VO-000840-PXPAXF-61SG03.  i haven't seen this code in any other posts.  This is a Windows 8.1 computer.  I'm wondering if an upgrade to Windows 10 might repair the Hard Drive.  I did defrag the Hard drive which was 12% fragmented.  It didn;t seem to optimize automatically, so I did the defrag manually.  Haven't turned the computer off since. Not sure it will reboot if I do.

A:Hard Drive long DST failed

The hard drive fail code means your hard drive has failed or is damaged changing the operating system won't fix this you need to buy a new hard drive and replace it. James

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-Drive-long-DST-failed/td-p/5613263
Relevancy 80.41%

I have a PC that recently started giving me some kernel errors and is not able to boot any longer gets stuck at the boot in Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration screen I Me Drive Hard My Please Read Help Failed have tried various methods to repair the Windows installation without any success I am now Please Help Me Read My Failed Hard Drive focused on retrieving the data from the drive So far this has proven to be difficult I removed the drive and put it in a powered external enclosure and tried to read the drive from different PCs I cannot get the drive to come up on the My Computer screen It is recognized as a new device in the task bar though This drive was supposed to be in a RAID array with a drive exactly like it But as I have discovered as part of my work to retrieve data I did something wrong in the setup and it was not mirroring second drive appears to be blank I tried one data recovery software tool and the drive is not being seen as a logical drive but does show as a physical Please Help Me Read My Failed Hard Drive drive so I cannot get the software to get the data off I would love to hear any other suggestions about how I can get this drive to be recognized so I can save a bunch of music and movies Here are some specifics to the PC I am dealing with Motherboard - MB DFI RS INFINITY XPRESS - Retail http www dfi com tw Product xx pr RODUCT ID amp CATEGORY TYPE INFINITY amp SITE NA OS - Windows XP Hard Drive - WD GB don t have model number handy but it is SATA and about yrs old Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 80.41%

Did a system quick test and it told me hard drive short dst check: FAILED and also gave me a failure id. I don't know what to do

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-drive-short-dst-failed/td-p/5808413
Relevancy 80.41%

I received an error message indicating a Hard Disk Error, in which I was instructed to run the Hard Disk Test in System Diagnostics.   The exact error was:HARD DISK 1 (3F1) I then ran the Smart Check of which it passed.  I then proceeded to run the Long DST of which it failed after about 30 min with the following error: Failure ID:  PLPNXF-6T870H-MFGJWK-61F603Product ID:  E0K76UA#ABAHARD DRIVE 1 I just bought this machine brand new on Dec 22, 2013.  Based on the error above it seems that the hard drive has some serious issues and may need to be replaced.  I should be under warranty since it is less than 30 days old.   If anyone knows what that error means and possible solutions to it that would be great. Other information:  The laptop is an HP 2000 Notebook PC with a Core i3 processor.

A:Long DST Failed on Hard Drive

Hi: The hard drive has definitely conked out on you and needs to be replaced and the operating system reinstalled. Contact HP technical support and file a claim under warranty to get the drive replaced. Tell them all the steps you have taken thus far and the errors reported. Also, make sure they send you a set of recovery media with the replacement hard drive, or all you will get is a blank hard drive.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Long-DST-Failed-on-Hard-Drive/td-p/3382289
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi I have a WD external portable hard drive which i have been using to store all my life on work folders family photos everything It was working fine on Thursday It has not been dropped Help!! Failed drive?? hard external damaged nothing has Failed external hard drive?? Help!! changed to it s use You guessed it on Friday it stopped working When i Failed external hard drive?? Help!! plug it in USB it makes the bleep noise so i know it s been detected by the computer It shows up in Device Manager as working properly The power light is on all looks good but it does not appear in My Computer nor can i access any files at all When i normally plug it in a window pops up asking me if i want to play view files this now does not happen What can i do I have tried using different USB ports i have tried different computers When i opened the casing it goes directly to USB so you cant just change the connector Can you advise me of costs and timescale I do hope someone might be able to help me somehow or recommend someone who can Like i said this has my LIFE on it Fingers crossed x nbsp

Relevancy 80.41%

Searching the internet it seems a lot of similar problems come up but I still haven t found a solution yet The situation is that I have a external hard drive in a IDE to USB enclosure The hard drive when turned on will be detected by Windows and then attempt to install The installation fails and the hard drive disappears Windows thinks it been disconnected I am running XP Pro install to failed Hard USB Drive SP The USB device connection and disconnection sounds play on both occasions Checking in Device Manager the hard drive is properly identified as USB Mass Storage Device and being supplied enough power However after a short time I either get the installation failed may not work properly bubble or no message at all before the drive disconnects USB devices work fine my GB thumbdrive also works fine The hard drive itself works perfectly on my old computer on an older copy of XP with SP installed A different hard drive in an identical enclosure also fails USB Hard Drive failed to install in the same manner This drive used to be attached to this computer and worked perfectly I use it to move files back and forth from the old PC For a few months I needed the storage on the old PC and it sat with USB Hard Drive failed to install the old PC Now it won t work Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 80.41%

My notebook wont start and stack at black screen with loading circle in the bottom. Help i tried the diagnostic test and im having failed short dst hard drive. ( i dont even know what is that) i need help!!!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Short-dst-hard-drive-failed/td-p/5765255
Relevancy 80.41%

I am serviceing a four year old IBM Aptiva with a failing 8 GB hard drive. The maximum size hard drive that this machine can accomodate is 10 GB because of addressing limitations. Unfortunately, the smallest hard drive I can find is 20 GB. Is this a viable substitute? What problems can I get into and what precautions do I need to be aware of? Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.

A:Replacing a failed hard drive

If you can't get a bios update to increase the hard drive limitation the next best thing would be to use the overlay software from the hard drive manufacturer, this will bypass the limit and should allow you to install the drive at full capacity.

Bios update would be preferrable, check ibm's site first

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/replacing-a-failed-hard-drive.153165/
Relevancy 80.41%

My second hard drive just failed It s a Western Digital Green Gb SATA I ve been using it as a second hdd for storage for about years I can t see it with Explorer Error messages quot E is not accessible Data error cyclic redundancy error quot and quot You need to format the disk before you can use it quot This happened suddenly today out of the blue When I failed, Hard drive crashed! go to Disk Management after a long time it says that the drive is RAW and healthy I ran a test with SeaTools after rebooting and it Hard drive failed, crashed! shows that quot test failed quot and some codes Here are the images http box c yimg jp res box-s-m p a f - f f a amp etag bd http box c yimg jp res box-s-m p -e eae aafc e amp etag c ce http box c yimg jp res box-s-m p - c f e c amp etag eea The hdd gave little signs of problems before like cyclic redundancy error so at that time I ran check disk at boot but it never happened to fail Please help what can I do nbsp

Relevancy 80.41%

warranty has expired how do I do myself? please

A:I am getting a warning that my hard drive has failed the SMA...

bigmack62 If you can, follow these directions for testing the hard drive:  Testing a Hard Disk from the BIOS | HP® Customer Support If your PC does not have those options, then you will have to boot into the HP utility menu.  Since each PC is different, you will have to press (repeatedly) one of the following keys to get that menu: Esc, F2, F9, F12. Good Luck========================================================================I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.---------------------------------------------------------------If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".========================================================================

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/I-am-getting-a-warning-that-my-hard-drive-has-failed-the/td-p/5668412
Relevancy 80.41%

Laptop will start but will not get as far as the HP logo.Cannot open in safe mode.Ran a system test which gave the following negative result: Hard Drive Shot DST Check: FailedFailure ID : 9GFT7T-82G89A-MFPX61-60T203Background: Laptop is under a year in my possession bought new and unused, within the last week it has shown some signs of slowing down, (firefox not responding just when a new tab is opened).Last night, went to open league of legends, adobe air could not locate files (which is odd as I was on the game 2 hours earlier).Woke up today, turned on the laptop and was greeted by nothing, not even a system logo, now whenever I start it up I just get a black screen.Able to enter bios.

A:Hard Drive Short DST : FAILED

Whenever the Hard Disk Short DST test fails that indicates that the Hard Disk Drive has failed and that requires a replacement to resolve the issue This issue could be due to Application or driver conflicts, virus issues, file corruptions due to incompatible applications, improper shutdowns, update failures due to conflicts, sudden power surges, if notebook is dropped etc.. HP will provide a replacement Hard Disk Drive if the Notebook warranty is Active, If not you need buy a SATA Hard Disk Drive from a retail shop nearby Please make sure you are getting at least equal capacity as the original one in order to use Recovery Disks. If you need you can buy a larger, but not smaller capacity Hard Disk Drive. For example if you have a 500GB Hard Disk Drive you can upgrade it to 750GB Hard Disk Drive but not 320GB Hard Disk Drive Please try the below shown troubleshooting steps once:Step 01. Remove the battery and unplug the AC/Power AdapterStep 02. Press and hold the Power button for more than 30 SecondsStep 03. Plug in the AC/Power Adapter (leave the Battery out for now)Step 04. Press the Power button and check if the Unit works normal If the above mentioned steps does not help, then you can try reseating the Hard Drive on your Notebook If the issue persists again please Contact HP if your HP Notebook is under warranty, HP would replace the Hard Disk Drive and provide you a Recovery media to restore factory operating system after replacement (if you've not yet created Recovery Discs/USB Media) Note: Back up all the personal data to an external drive if it's possible. Otherwise you could connect the failed HDD via SATA to USB adapter with another PC or same PC after replacement of HDD & re-installation of OS and try copying /recovering the files. You can also refer to the below shown link for further supporthttp://www.wikihow.com/Recover-Data-from-the-Hard-Drive-of-a-Dead-Laptop Please click on the link In order to Identify, Prevent, Diagnose & Recover from Drive Failures on HP Notebook Hard Drives & Solid State Drives :http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02876562.pdf  You can Check your warranty Here to verify the status and Click Here to order a new Hard Drive  Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again  **Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem. Thank You,GBL84I am not an HP Employee

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Drive-Short-DST-FAILED/td-p/5818551
Relevancy 80.41%
A:My hard drive failed so I replaced it but how do I...

To reinstall Windows 8 on your computer, you can follow the instructions mentioned on the links below:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/clean-installhttp://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-8 Hope this will help you.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-8-1/My-hard-drive-failed-so-I-replaced-it-but-how-do-I-get-my/td-p/363038/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 80.41%
A:My hard drive failed so I replaced it but how do I...

To reinstall Windows 8 on your computer, you can follow the instructions mentioned on the links below:http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/clean-installhttp://www.wikihow.com/Install-Windows-8 Hope this will help you.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Windows-8-1/My-hard-drive-failed-so-I-replaced-it-but-how-do-I-get-my/td-p/363038
Relevancy 80.41%

My hard drive failed last Saturday reading quot operating system not found readable) hard drive? recovery an old (failed vista using of new a partition still Installing the drive on but quot BIOS testing resulted in error Installing vista on a new hard drive using the recovery partition of an old (failed but still readable) drive? replace hard drive At this point the drive won t boot but data can still be read I have a new hard drive The backup disk I made for Vista isn t working I thought of borrowing one from a friend but my OEM key on the bottom has completely worn off Installing vista on a new hard drive using the recovery partition of an old (failed but still readable) drive? HP says they cannot help and Microsoft wants me to pay for a replacement key I d like to avoid that if possible Is there any way to use the recovery partition on the old drive to install Vista on the new drive My laptop has two hard drive bays but I only have one caddy so ideally I d like to connect it using an enclosure Also I do have access to another computer that I could use as a quot go-between quot if needed For example if it s possible to simply copy and paste the recovery partition files I could use the enclosure to copy them from the old drive to the working computer then put the new drive in the enclosure and copy the files onto that Any advice appreciated Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/414230/installing-vista-on-a-new-hard-drive-using-the-recovery-partition-of-an-old-failed-but-still-readable-drive/
Relevancy 79.98%

My C Drive failed last week, I was able to restore a recent Windows Image Backup on a new drive. When I connect the failed drive, the Documents & Settings directory is locked out. Is is possible to "unlock" that directory.

Thanx in advance.

A:how to access Docs & Settings on failed drive

Hi Mikeh,

I don't know what do you mean by "locked out"? Few weeks ago I have had a crash in which the HD could not be anymore recognized. I used a program called (GetDataBack Data Recovery) (GetDataBack Data Recovery - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com) which helps me to get back lots of my data. Of course there are some data which is completely corrupt by the crash and could not be recovered but it was not really that much.

There is another freeware program called (Pandora Recovery) (Pandora Recovery - Free software downloads and software reviews - CNET Download.com) which you can try. Both program's are not running on Win7! So you should take the HD and connected to a computer which is running on Win XP or Vista.

Hope this will help.

Anne

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/159336-how-access-docs-settings-failed-drive.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Notebook just stopped working. Repairing disk errors is on screen. Can anyone help with this. The error message says Failure ID: PTQ7W8-7NN858

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-Drive-short-DST-check-failed/td-p/5657954
Relevancy 79.55%

To start off XP SP home machine with gig RAM and gig WD HD I thought I was having the same issues that needsalittlehelp was having where my XP machine kept rebooting like rebooting after now failed - BSOD getting Drive kept XP seems Hard my when I tried to start it I was reading his post and decided the first thing I should try was the WD check disk utility Well it went from bad to worse I inserted the WD boot disk that came with HD and tried to boot up And system tried to start XP bypassing the WD boot disk So went into Bios to XP kept rebooting - now seems like my Hard Drive failed after getting BSOD set Boot Sequence set the CD-ROM as number floppy disk was with XP kept rebooting - now seems like my Hard Drive failed after getting BSOD CD-ROM but didn t work on frist try anyway Hit restart and got message quot reboot and select proper Boot device or insert boot media in selected Boot device and press a key quot So it doesn t want to boot from WD CD I XP kept rebooting - now seems like my Hard Drive failed after getting BSOD then went back into Bios to make sure CD was and the CD-ROM doesn t even show up in the Bios now as a choice Long story short for this - when ever the HD and CD-ROM are connected to the mother board CD-ROM does not show When I disconnect the HD then the CD-ROM will show in Bios and is number I even disconnect the floppy drive so there was no other choice Now when I boot with HD disconnected the WD CD boots just fine and I get the prompt after some initial lines of test Run Data Lifeguard Create Data Lifeguard Bootable Diskette Create Data lifeguard Diagnostics Bootable Diskette Quit If I select with HD re-connected w o rebooting I get quot Batch file X L BAT missing Strike a key when ready quot if I hit a key that message just scrolls As soon as I disconnect the HD the WD CD comes up and I get the Data Lifeguard Tools menu And then if I try to run any on the utilities with the HD connected I get quot utility znc could not be found It seems that anytime I have the HD connected I get errors Does it sound like the HD has become a paper weight Thanks for help in advance I ve been to this site several times and it s saved me more then once - I appreciate all the help M fan

A:XP kept rebooting - now seems like my Hard Drive failed after getting BSOD

Your difficulty with booting to the CD may be a cable connector position &/or CD-ROM jumper setting issue.The preferred position for a boot device is at the end connector position of an IDE cable.The preferred jumper setting is as MASTER (in preference to "cable select").Check, and change if necessary, those two things and try again.You said: "when ever the HD and CD-ROM are connected to the mother board, CD-ROM does not show."That is a bit of a puzzle and seems to indicate that something is wrong somewhere, but I don't know of a solution.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/270385/xp-kept-rebooting-now-seems-like-my-hard-drive-failed-after-getting-bsod/
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello all We are a computer repair shop we seem to be having the failed Hard a or windows with 8.1 8 Reloading Drive same issue other shops and or people are having Reloading windows or on a system that the product key is embedded in the Bios We have research this problem and a lot of the time the answer is completely wrong or off topic Scenario only Reloading windows 8 or 8.1 with a failed Hard Drive concerning windows or any version also data recover is not a concern Systems are coming in that are built by a manufacturer Dell Toshiba HP Compaq Emachine ect the system s are out of Reloading windows 8 or 8.1 with a failed Hard Drive warranty They are either in a boot loop blue screening when loading windows or the hard drive has crashed and isn't loading windows at all The customers never created recovery disks nor can we due to windows not loading We can not get to advanced mode and even if and when we can creating recovery Reloading windows 8 or 8.1 with a failed Hard Drive media is not available So let us be clear We have a system that had windows or preinstalled by manufacturer it was used for multiple months no recovery media create now the operating system is not loading recovery partition corrupt or not accessible refresh not available windows product key is embedded in the Bios and is out of warranty What we have tried System with failed hard drive with windows sticker on it Ran software that extracts product key from BIOS Inserted an OEM disk for windows and when asked to input key we used the key that was extracted the installation tells us that the product key is not a OEM key We do not have a skip button to continue How in the world can we reload windows or on these systems We have gone through all of the BIOS settings and have tried everything we can think of If the product key for windows or is embedded in the BIOS what do we need to do to make the installation find the key and use it to continue the installation and activate From what we are seeing we are not the only one s asking this question the problem is that the reply s are use system refresh use recovery partition use recovery media We understand the reasoning behind having the product key embedded but it shouldn't be this hard to use what the system already has Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank You

A:Reloading windows 8 or 8.1 with a failed Hard Drive

edit:

How to clean install Windows 8.1 if you have an OEM computer with UEFI firmware (BIOS) embedded Windows 8/8.1 product key? -> link

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/49298-reloading-windows-8-8-1-failed-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Ok so my computer has been on the downhill for awhile Stupidly enough I put off backing up my hard drive too long although I had intended to do so but that intention didn t end up helping me at all A few days ago it finally gave way and I was flooded with errors pertaining to the hard drive I purchased an Failing/Failed Advice? Drive Hard external hard drive and tried to salvage what I could Luckily most of Failing/Failed Hard Drive Advice? if not all of the information I wished to save most is still there and intact and I have been able to transfer some of it already to the external hard drive However this is severely hindered by the fact that after varying amounts of time ranging from - minutes errors pop up about files from the system folder not being saved or something of the sort and the computer restarts after barely transfering any items To complicate things furter all of my Failing/Failed Hard Drive Advice? files have now automatically become quot hidden quot initially I mistook this for them being deleted so it is difficult to locate and move the files in such a short time span before the next restart Would you recommend just continuing with this process as long as it takes Or is there a better alternative such as removing the hard drive and transferring the data through another computer I have access to a desktop at the moment Thank you in advance for your help nbsp

Relevancy 79.55%
A:HARD DRIVE SMART Check failed

Hi, The 24 character error code does confirm a Smart failure and would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced. If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - If needed, you can check your warranty status Here. If you live in the US, contact HP Here. If you are in another part of the world, start Here. If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know - include the full Model No. and Product No. of your notebook - see Here for a further explanation. Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HARD-DRIVE-SMART-Check-failed/td-p/5609160
Relevancy 79.55%

My main HD, just went kaputz on me.. can't get into XP, Recovery Console, Safe Mode, etc...

So,.... 1. I have a backup clean/empty HD, so I'll clean install XP, and i'll make it master
2. then the messed up HD i'll make it slave, right??

now... how do I copy the files from the old HD into the new one... it's mp3's and picture files, and I know the exact directories... do I use XCopy???

But another question... on XP, the repair-install feature.... is that a total reinstall, wiping out everything... or is existing data protected???? and if it's true that data is protected, how do i do the "repair install" on XP???

THx
Julio

A:Restore files from failed hard drive

I put this in your own thread. When you have a problem, please start your own thread. With one problem per thread it is difficult at best to follow what has/has not been done. With two or more, it is impossible.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/restore-files-from-failed-hard-drive.699720/
Relevancy 79.55%

Getting black screen error boot device not found/no OS daily.  Been trying to do a backup which then results in this error. Ran UEFI quick test which gave failure ID: GK763H-6KA88D-MFPX0K-60S703 The quick system test passed but gave SOFTWARE ERROR for the HD Short DST check. Please advise.  

A:Hard drive short DST check failed

The hard drive is going to need replacement. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-drive-short-DST-check-failed/td-p/5779108
Relevancy 79.55%

hard drive smart check failed   failure ID  MBX2XW-7R689H-MFPV7F-60CP03 PROD  G6Q75VA#ABA

A:hard drive smart check failed

The electronics on the disk-drive have 'S.M.A.R.T'.SMART does real-time monitoring of many characteristics of the disk-drive, e.g.,* how many milli-seconds from "off" to "ready",* maximum temperature,* number of hours of usage,* number of "bad" sectors that have been mapped to some "spare" sectors,* and so on. So, a "SMART failure" is an indication that the "observed" values have exceeded the "normal" values, i.e., "out-of-range". Take the notice as a warning that your disk-drive is "dying". Google-search for 'download SPECCY free'.Download, install, and run it, to look at all the measurements in the SMART categories. Make a "backup" of your files/music/pictures/bookmarks onto an external disk-drive,or buy a brand-new disk-drive, connect it, and "clone" your current disk-drive onto the new disk-drive,and reconfigure your computer to boot from the new disk-drive. Is your disk-drive relatively "new", e.g., less than 2 years old?If so, it may still be warrantied by the manufacturer,i.e., ship them your disk-drive, and they will ship you an *EMPTY* replacement drive.You'll need to reinstall Windows, and reload your files from your "backup".   

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/hard-drive-smart-check-failed/td-p/5828558
Relevancy 79.55%

Hard Drive SMART Check Failed..Failure ID: QCSN6M-7T785K-MFPWMF-60BL03Product ID: L0T31UA#ABAModel: HP 15 Notebook PC

A:Hard Drive SMART Check Failed..???

Unfortunatly this error indicates that the hard disk needs replacement. You could call HP and setup a service or take the unit to a authorized service center.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-Drive-SMART-Check-Failed/td-p/5670250
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi, i have format my hard drive recently with window xp sp3, my local D is not format so i format it by click on my computer>right click D drive and format...
a box appear said the drive is not format successfully and a blue screen of death appear with error code 0x000000f4(0x00000003,0x85c749f8,0x85c74b6c,0x805d2970) what should i do to fix this problem??

PS: i try to delete the partition and reformat the computer again but same problem occur when i format D drive

any expert can help?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bsod-appear-after-i-failed-to-format-hard-drive.152694/
Relevancy 79.55%

My laptop isn't starting , when i open it i get the hp logo then a black screen , when i made a fast system test the hard drive short DST check failed with a failer ID: PLW6J2-6SL88N-MFPWXG-60RR03 and a Product ID: E2G95EA#ABV.my main concern is the data stored on the hard disk what can i do to get the laptop working a don't loose the data ? 

A:hard drive short DST check failed

Stop using the laptop. Replace the hard drive with a new one. Get a SATA to usb adapter to connect the old drive (which you will remove) to another computer to try to salvage data. There is a good chance data is still recoverable this way. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/hard-drive-short-DST-check-failed/td-p/5793458
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello my laptop fell from a table and stopped working. Just a blank screen from then onI tried to re install windows in it but won't work.so i formatted everything and now when i try to reinstall OS into it, it shows error loading operating system.Then when i run the hard drive check, it says hard drive short DST check failed. What are the possible suggestions ? Please help

A:Hard drive short DST check failed.

According to the message you have recently posted I would like to confirm that this is a hardware issue and the hard disk drive needs to be replaced to resolve the issue. I strongly recommend you to Contact HP Technical Support over the Phone for further assistance without any delay to get your Notebook diagnosed and serviced by an authorized HP Certified Engineer You can also Check your warranty Here to verify the warranty status Hope this helps, for any further queries reply to the post and feel free to join us again  **Click the White Thumbs Up Button on the right to say Thanks**Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem. Thank You,K N R K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-drive-short-DST-check-failed/td-p/5698102
Relevancy 79.55%

System pentium dual core T GH GB G hard 72 failed drive help recovery needed. ram nbsp drive that failed GB Toshiba from HP nbsp I purchased a new PNY GB DRIVE that my first set of recoverry disks G 72 hard drive failed recovery help needed. used once before stopped nbsp at copy file fail e preload base wim to C can't read G 72 hard drive failed recovery help needed. my own writing nbsp I opened my nd set of system recovery disk still factory sealed and got the exact same results nbsp I searced the web forums everywhere I could for help nbsp I read the a smaller hard drive may cause the recovery to fail nbsp I took a GB WD Scorpio Blue hard drive I had reformatted when my Pavilion failed nbsp Tried recovery again exact same results nbsp I checked out the hard disk at cmd and I found X recovery still there but with the original date from nbsp I have tried diskpart nbsp format and killdisk to get the hhard drive ready to restore nbsp any ideas nbsp

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/G-72-hard-drive-failed-recovery-help-needed/td-p/5716437
Relevancy 79.55%

Hard drive test failed with following message Short DST FailedFailure Id: GU417R-5AT89V-MFKQ2K-60VM03Product Id: XL280AV What are my options? Thanks

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/XL280AV-HARD-DRIVE-TEST-FAILED/td-p/5846466
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi guys,So my friends hard drive failed and unfortunetly he has lost everything.I've replaced the broken hard drive for him and reinstalled Windows 10. However when I went to check if the OS was activated, it was showing as not been activated?? I thought machines after Windows 8 had their licance saved in the BIOS so we didn't have this issue?Also there is no sticker on the back or under the battery containing the product key for Windows.I also spoke to Microsoft but they were uable to help.Any help is appreciated!Thanks. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-drive-failed-and-I-ve-lost-my-product-key/td-p/5658051
Relevancy 79.55%

FAILURE ID; RGDWKX-87489J-XD7X61-60CF03PRODUCT ID; T3M29PT#ABGHARD DRIVE CAPACITY 500GBHARD DRIVE 1.

A:Computor failed the hard drive test.

Hi, The 24 character error code is a Smart HDD failure and would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced.  If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP ( with the 24 character code ) and arrange to have the drive replaced - If needed, you can check your warranty status Here. If you live in the US, contact HP Here. If you are in another part of the world, start Here. If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know. Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Computor-failed-the-hard-drive-test/td-p/5828767
Relevancy 79.55%

Bought this Pavilion 17t in December of 2014.  Upgraded to Windows 10 about 6 months ago.  Just last week the laptop got stuck in an automatic repair loop. I tried a hard reboot and that didn't work.  I ran the diagnostics test and got a Hard Drive Short DST check Failed.  Failure ID Q4JF9G-7G189F-MFPV7A-60SU03  Product ID J7B57AV.   Does this mean my hard drive is failing after such a short time?  Is there any solution other than an expensive repair?

A:HP Pavilion 17t Hard Drive Short DST failed

Yes unfortunately it means the hard drive must be replaced. If you are willing to do it yourself, hard drives are probably not as expensive as you fear. We would need your precise model number to provide the correct manual and instructions and likely a video. Since you had Windows 10 installed and activated you can use media downloaded for free direct from Microsoft. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Pavilion-17t-Hard-Drive-Short-DST-failed/td-p/5826145
Relevancy 79.55%

I HAVE JUST TRIED TO RUN A HARD DRIVE TEST AND THE RESULTS CAME BACK fAILED. MY COMPUTER HAS BEEN RUNNING EXTREMELY SLOW THE LAST FEW DAYS AND I DO NEED IT FOR WORK. CAN YOU HELP? TEST DRIVE: 1Hard Drive SMART Check: FAILEDFAILURE ID: 67G61D-7B2882-XD7V6K-608G03PRODUCT ID: K7T99UA#ABA

A:Hard Drive SMART Check: Failed

Hi, The 24 character error code does confirm a Smart failure and would indicate that the Hard Drive is failing and needs to be replaced. If your notebook is still under warranty, contact HP and arrange to have the drive replaced - If needed, you can check your warranty status Here. If you live in the US, contact HP Here. If you are in another part of the world, start Here. If you are out of warranty and would like a guide on replacing the Hard Drive yourself, please let me know. Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Drive-SMART-Check-Failed/td-p/5762657
Relevancy 79.55%

Hello everyone I hope this is in the right section if not then I apologise What happened was about a month ago I installed Windows Vista on my main hard drive stupid me I know I had no problems with it but a few days ago I got a message that there may be an error with my hard drive and to back up my files It was late so I shut down for the night and was going to do a backup the next day So the next morning I go to turn my computer on and it crashes before Vista loads I tried booting in safe mode didn't work I tried using the Windows XP boot CD that came with the computer but as I tried to boot from the CD it stopped at quot Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration quot Then I tried creating my own boot CD hoping that would be different but it got stuck at the same message So then I attempted to boot from Drive Hard Failed Vista Running While my MB flash drive I followed the Windows In Your Pocket tutorial and everything worked fine until the system got stuck on quot Searching for Boot Record from USB RMD-FDD quot All I need to do is be able to access the hard drive to get some files off of it I can always buy a new hard drive What I haven't tried yet is Installing my hard drive onto another computer and seeing if I can get into my files from there And my computer also came with an restore DVD but that would be a last resort for me as it erases all data and partitions on the hard drive So I guess what I'm asking is if there is any way to either get the boot CD or the flash drive to work I'm thinking that the fact that I installed Vista is part of the problem Also I have a GB external hard drive that I could install Hard Drive Failed While Running Vista either XP or Vista on and possibly boot from there if anyone knows how to do that Thank you in advance for any help you can give me -Geozgomer

A:Hard Drive Failed While Running Vista

If you have another computer available I would slave the drive there and see if you can retreive your files, or you could Download your Disk manufacturers Diagnostic Utility and boot from it and check your drive for problems

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-drive-failed-while-running-vista-109113.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hola, El portatil no arranca. He hecho un system extensive test y falla hard drive short dst. Por lo que he visto en lis foros es posible que el disco duro este roto. He hecho chkdsk c: \r y no se soluciona. Pueden decirme algun disco duro para comprar y como arreglarlo yo mismo. Gracias David

A:Hard drive short dst check failed

@Kokirulo

Thank you for visiting our English HP Support Forum. We are only able to reply to posts written in English. To ensure a quick response it would be advisable to post your question in English. The following links are here to assist you if you prefer to post in the following Language Forum.

German: HP Kundenforum
Spanish: Foro de usuarios de HP
French: Forum des utilisateurs
Portuguese: Fórum dos usuários HP
Chinese: ??????????
Korean: HP ??????
Thank you for your understanding.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-drive-short-dst-check-failed/td-p/5673626
Relevancy 79.55%

Hey,I've run a system quick test after my laptop wouldn't start because of ' no bootable device' and ' no hard drive detected' problem when I wanted to start up my laptop. So I ran a quick system test and it failedHere's the failure ID: 94MXWX-7JE87U-XD7V7F-60BV03here's the product ID: J8E21EA#ACQI need help ASAP because I need to access it as I'm writing an exam in a days time and all my data is on it, please help

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Drive-SMART-check-FAILED/td-p/5754975
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi, I have two internal 500Gb SATA drives and one external 500Gb ESATA drive.
I wanted to have 2 backups images of my drive as a safety measure. One on the internal and one on the external ESATA drive.
The backup image on the internal drive took about 25 minutues and seems OK. The image size is about 75Gb.
I then tried a second backup on my external drive. ESATA is supposed to be faster than USB. After about three and a half hours the backup stopped and said that it had failed. Any ideas please?
Thanks in advance!
Graham

A:External hard drive image failed

What did the error say? and i assume you create your image using the "Backup and Restore"

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/34368-external-hard-drive-image-failed.html
Relevancy 79.55%

My 60GB Toshiba hard drive failed in my Portege M200.

I tried fitting a hard drive I had in my old laptop a 30GB Hitachi hard drive but the laptop doesn?t seem to recognise it. Does it need a Toshiba hard drive or is the laptop dead, when I put the hard drive in I get invalid boot disk message.

The old hard drive goes to a blue screen then reboots laptop.

A:Portege M200 - hard drive failed

No it must not be Toshiba HDD only. I found the list of some compatible HDDs for this old Portege.
You can use follow HDDs:
- TOSHIBA HDD2193B
- TOSHIBA HDD2171B
- TOSHIBA HDD2184B
- TOSHIBA HDD2194B
- HITACHI G8BC00014410
- HITACHI G8BC00014610
- HITACHI G8BC00015610
- HITACHI G8BC00014810

Anyway, when you try to use new HDD set BIOS to default settings and check if new HDD will be recognized properly in BIOS settings.

Is old HDD recognized properly in BIOS settings?
Have you tried to install OS using old HDD?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?67548-Portege-M200-hard-drive-failed
Relevancy 79.55%

My wife has an HP Pavillion that came with Windows7 home Premium pre-installed. Last week, the hard drive failed (it starts to spin up, clicks several times and stops turning). I have a new WD hard drive coming, but neither HP nor Microsoft will give me an installation disk. HP says I have to get it from Microsoft and Microsoft says that I have to get it from HP Is there any way to obtain one without having to purchase operating system?

A:Failed hard drive, no installation disk

Presumably you have a product key on a sticker somewhere. Sometimes under the battery.

If so, you only need to find installation media.

This is what you need:
en_windows_7_home_premium_with_sp1_x64_dvd_u_676549.iso

SHA1: 6C9058389C1E2E5122B7C933275F963EDF1C07B9
ISO/CRC: 4A182640

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/365046-failed-hard-drive-no-installation-disk.html
Relevancy 79.55%

Hard drive SMART Check : FAILEDFAILURE ID: GGA9V9-7AM873-GXPR7F-60EE03PRODUCT ID: J1G18AA#ABG Hard Drive 1 Can someone please advise what this means? I purchased the computer in Dec 2014 surely the hard drive shouldnt fail after only 20months?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/hard-drive-smart-check-failed/td-p/5725455
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi my Hp notebook short DST test failed .Error code:gk441d-6rt84j-mfpwxp -60u503Product I'd:e9j77ea#abuWhat does that mean and what can I do now ?

A:Hard drive short DST TEST FAILED

Hi,            The failure ID refers to Hard disk drive failure. If the unit is under warranty, then you can call the HP Support to get the Hard disk drive replaced if not you have to get the Hard disk drive replaced yourself and then reinstall the operating system using recovery disk.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Hard-drive-short-DST-TEST-FAILED/td-p/5634623