Windows Support Forum

Newly installed apps. ot appearing in program menu unable to pin apps

Q: Newly installed apps. ot appearing in program menu unable to pin apps

Newly installed apps. ot appearing in program menu unable to pin apps to start menu.

This happened to me previously and I could find no solution....I eventually created a new admin profile, where newly installed apps appeared in the program menu and I could pin apps tomthe start menu feom a desktopmshortxut etc.

I copied over my video docs pictures and music folders to the new profile. Now a few months later the same thing is happening again. I have created a new admin profile and it all,works fine there. I have searched on the internet and others have the same issue, but of course anything you search for always finds someone else with the same issue...

Hopefully someone can help me with this very annoying problem

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Newly installed apps. ot appearing in program menu unable to pin apps

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Newly installed apps. ot appearing in program menu unable to pin apps

UPDATE
actually resolved the issue....I turned on windows update and did a massive update, the start menu looks a little different, maybe a different font, pinned items can only be mace smaller or bigger, used to be an option for long ( didnt use this anyway ) but new apps now showing and pin to start menu works.....so MS fixed it, there is some advantage to updating, have backed up with true image and turned off updating, will back up again before updating next time......the update didnt like GPU-Z and temoved it plus a few other apps and turned defender back on i think.......shutup-10 sorted all this out.....

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/33888-newly-installed-apps-ot-appearing-program-menu-unable-pin-apps.html
Relevancy 110.51%

Hello let me just say i searched on the forums and found someone with a similar problem as me http forums techguy org windows-n html highlight newly installed programs open and http forums techguy org windows-nt- -xp -new-apps-install-problem html My problem is basically for the past few weeks any newly installed programs wont work What happens is i will double click the shortcut the mouse changes to the hourglass meaning something is loading and then nothing at all happens Nothing opens nothing changes at all Prior to the new installs every other installed thing works This Won't Newly Run Installed Apps is more of a nuisance than anything because if Newly Installed Apps Won't Run i have to reinstall anything it wont work then The installation process happened fine no errors or anything Let me know if you need any more detailed info Newly Installed Apps Won't Run on the Newly Installed Apps Won't Run problem because this is all i could think of to put My specs Intel Pentium CPU GHz GB of Ram Radeon x Graphics Card with MB Windows XP Media Edition SP let me know if you need more spec info i attached a dxdiag and hijackthis log if that can help in anyway nbsp

Relevancy 109.22%

Hi,

In Windows 8, all newly installed apps and desktop programs automatically received a tile on the modern Start screen. That isn't the case in Windows 8.1: Now, you have to dive into the All Apps screen and manually pin new software to the Start screen.

Is there any way to make windows 8.1 (store) automatically pin newly installed apps to start screen? its annoying to search for the app in "All Apps" then pin it manually. why Microsoft made it manually does it even necessary.

A:Annoying Newly Apps Installed

If you right click on the app, you can select "pin to start". I think this is what you are after (I hope).

oops - just spotted that you had done this already

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/34073-annoying-newly-apps-installed.html
Relevancy 108.36%

Hello everyone I am new to this forum menu "All installed showing machine ANY apps apps" not on and was excited to find it as "All apps" menu not showing ANY apps installed on machine there are a lot of people giving great answers to Windows problems and I sadly ran into one recently I have had Windows installed for about months now and things have been going decent A couple of days ago my system received a Windows update that took about hours and looked like it was installing Windows all over again but it wasn't and once this happened I couldn't find the Microsoft Edge application and the start button would not work at all After doing a system restore to a date prior to the update things are back to quot normal quot except for this one problem Currently my start menu does not show any Recently Used or Favorite Apps in it as shown below If I select the All apps button it also shows nothing I made sure that all of the settings in order to see recently used apps and all my apps are correct as below are my settings I have tried a couple of solutions that handled Cortana not searching for programs or quot some quot apps were missing from all apps but I have yet to find a solution to when absolutely no apps are showing in the start menu I know the applications still exist on my machine as I use Firefox and Microsoft Word and Outlook plus many more apps but they aren't showing up at all I am also under a local account instead of my Microsoft account and both have this problem Has anyone ran into this before or know how to fix this situation Any help would be much appreciated Thank you Justin

A:"All apps" menu not showing ANY apps installed on machine

What happens if you try another user profile or load Start10 to see if it shows "Universal Apps".

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/33642-all-apps-menu-not-showing-any-apps-installed-machine.html
Relevancy 106.64%

Hmm, I thought Vista came with a program that would allow the sys admin to choose which programs when accessed to not appear on the start menu. I know there are registry edits that accomplish the same thing, but isn't there a program to do this?

I can't locate the shortcut, but the main reason for this is mainly for programs I don't access on a regular basis, such as paint, or notebook.

Thanks for any ideas anyone can give me.

Relevancy 105.78%

I recently purchased a game from the Windows Store. It said it was installed. I went to the start screen to find it and it is not there. I did a search and it does not show up. I went back to the store to re-install it but it says I own the app,

Anyone have any ideas how I can sort this out. I am running Windows 8.1 Preview.

A:Purchased Apps not appearing in start menu

does it show when you view the 'all apps' screen or use the search option using the app name?

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/32287-purchased-apps-not-appearing-start-menu.html
Relevancy 96.32%

I was given a Windows 8.1 tablet that once had a detachable keyboard which the guy lost. he reset the whole computer and after I got my information on it instead. After the reset, Windows was no longer activated and I had to reactivate it. which neither of us knows why, it was activated before we did a data factory reset. after I created my user, I installed a bunch of exes. now I go to try to see if I could test out the Windows Store to search for apps. but I search "Windows Store" or "app store" and several other things that may bring it up, but it always says, "no apps match your search" like if the Windows store is missing or somehow magically removed with the reset process. How do I get it back?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/588050/unable-to-get-apps-windows-store-no-apps-match-your-search/
Relevancy 96.32%

Does anybody know of a solution to this problem:
A new roaming user logs in, they only see Desktop / Onedrive and Store tile on their start screen.
If they open the store they can install a default app like MSN news or any other app and the app will open. However when the close the app, they cannot find the app anywhere in the start menu even if they search for it. They also are unable to pin anything
to their start screen, it gives the option to pin but nothing happens.

Tried resetting their profile and still the same thing happens. Other users who log in see the default Apps like News, sport etc.
Not a major problem but just strange and very random.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/49e3abb2-1413-4625-bc0d-1a6874b0866f/apps-for-roaming-profile-not-showing-up-in-start-menu-even-though-they-are-installed?forum=w8itproappcompat
Relevancy 95.46%

I can place a new folder or custom shortcut in the correct start menu location (current user or all users) but it will not appear in the All apps list. If I go to the folder or shortcut and right-click Pin to Start it will appear as a tile in the start menu, but still will not show up in the All apps list. I think this behavior started with Version 1511 since it was working for me in the previous version.

A:Unable to add to All apps list in Start Menu

Hi, a quick test seems to show the same. The representation of traditional start menu items and structures in Win 10's start menu is (in my experience) garbage. And not just since the November upgrade. Sorry to have to say that, but it flattens all the subfolders inherited from a 'normal' menu used in Win 7 and 8, loses the sub-folders, including those created by each program's installation, leading to things like

Help
Help
Help

where each 'Help' is from a different program.

If you want a meaningful start menu without these quirks and oddities, try e.g. Classic Shell.

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/32855-unable-add-all-apps-list-start-menu.html
Relevancy 92.88%

I am experiencing the following very strange intermittent problems and evil behavior in XP.

My Start Menu sometimes only appears for a split second when clicked and will not stay displayed. Also minimised apps. wont maximise and apps. and short cuts on the desktop wont launch when double left clicked and instead show properties as if they were right clicked!!

I have done the following to try and resolve these issues.

1. Updated from SP1 to SP 2 as well as all the security updates.

2. Ran Adaware and Spybot to find any unwelcome visitors. Adaware only found one minor issue.

3. Ran Symantec Antivirus which found and quarantined several viruses.

4. Ran WinDoctor which found and said it resolved quite a few issues.

This is really a pain as it makes the system virtually unusable except for when it is behaving which is rare.

Would be grateful for any suggestions, solutions, incantations or workarounds for this issue/s

Kind regards

Binaryboy

A:Start Menu flickers/dissapears, apps. wont launch & minimised apps. wont maximise!!

Hi binaryboy, Welcome to TSG!!

Please post a HJT log for us to review.

Click here to download HJTsetup.exe: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTSetup.exe
Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.

Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/start-menu-flickers-dissapears-apps-wont-launch-minimised-apps-wont-maximise.435131/
Relevancy 87.72%

Real quick. Just installed Win10, and installed all the programs.

So I have a bunch of "New" programs. Is there a quick way to clear New, without having to open every single program?

Can't seem to find an option or anything on google about it.

Also, I go to add more shortcuts to the Start Menu (All Apps List).

I go to both locations here:
%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu (which goes to C:\Users\[Login]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs)
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

But whenever I copy a Shortcut for this one particular program (HexChat) into those locations, it just pins the shortcut to the tile area of the Start Menu, and not in the All Apps list.

It is actually weird, because the first shortcut I added was added to the All Apps list just fine.

Edit: Seems to be only this one program, HexChat

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/44688-clear-new-status-all-installed-apps-start-menu.html
Relevancy 87.29%

Random apps are not showing up in the "All Apps" section of the Start Menu after installing a clean version of Windows 10 (not an upgrade), and re-installing all my favorite software, In other words, finding a launcher to countless programs now means visiting "C:/Program Files/WhateverRandomSoftware/launcher.exe." Well, that;'s no fun.

Is there any better way to do this. Anyone know of a fix or have others experienced this problem?

Thanks!

A:"All Apps" Doesn't Show All Apps Installed

Hello flowingfire, and welcome to Ten Forums.

If you like, you could manually add and remove items from your All apps to help.

All apps in Start menu - Add or Remove Items in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/12383-all-apps-doesnt-show-all-apps-installed.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I've already posted one app-related thread this evening Store app started using Greek language And now yet more crazy things happening I play Microsoft Solitaire Mahjong and Sudoku including the daily challenges I play these almost every day Today I had Solitaire open while I was doing other things including writing the other post When apps! are And ads in now my random appearing I went back to the app it reloaded as normal but then an ad started to play This was an ad for a And now random ads are appearing in my apps! different Microsoft game and it was not possible to close the ad I just had to wait for it to finish after which my game loaded as normal I played a couple of games clicked on the next one and once again got an ad first This happened And now random ads are appearing in my apps! several times sometimes an ad before each game sometimes I could play or games before getting another ad The ads are random I've seen ads for Bingo Solitaire Mahjong Sudoku and some other Microsoft games I tried playing games from a Solitaire Star Collection - same thing - I got ads I tried playing games from the Mahjong Daily Challenges Again I got ads I didn't try Sudoku because frankly I'm beginning to wonder if I'm going mad This DID NOT happen yesterday when I played these same games My partner is sitting next to me playing the same games and he is not getting these random ads appearing What is going on with my Store apps

A:And now random ads are appearing in my apps!

You must have a "guest" on the computer, you can start by downloading and using https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/ it may clean it up. Make sure you decline offer for Pro upgrade.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/57083-now-random-ads-appearing-my-apps.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Installed 10 about a month ago and still getting used to it and like it overall. However, once in a while when starting up the apps do not appear on the bottom. The shortcuts are there and are somewhat usuable. In additon, I can't get the computer to shut down normally as clicking on the windows icon creates no response. Have had to shut down via Task Manager or manual shutdown via power button. Restarting takes a while but it then comes back to normal. Any idea of why this is happening and what can be done to fix this? Don't want to spend money setting up an account with MS!!!

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/54776-windows-10-apps-not-appearing.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hello,
This has been a continuing problem, but of low enough importance that I have waited until now to get some advice. If I install a program it automatically put a startup icon in the start menu. Not pinned in. When I hit remove from list, nothing happens. Eventually, and I can't say how many reboots it goes away. Am i doing something wrong? Thanks for any help!
Glenn

A:Unable to remove from Start Menu list, the last installed program

Hello Glenn,

If you mean the bottom half of the Start Menu under the "Pin to" area (not in "All Programs"), then this would be the recent programs area.

Since the usual "Remove from list" didn't work to remove the program from the recent programs list, you could turn off and on recent programs to remove it. This will remove all the other recent programs as well though.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/216109-unable-remove-start-menu-list-last-installed-program.html
Relevancy 83.42%

While using windows search, the apps don't appear in the search results even though all folders of the ProgramData folder are indexed. Could it be a problem with my newly installed antivirus (ESSET NOD 32) ? Please help me since it is very annoying having to scroll through the entire apps list.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/55153-apps-not-appearing-windows-search.html
Relevancy 83.42%

I am rnning music and the app first appears when I play a file but does not appear in the task. Here is a screenshot.

In order to get to the app, I have to do the thing where you bring your finger in from the left and it opens the most recent program, then I have to minimize it, then I have to click on the desktop icon to get back to the desktop, and then it appears.

Why doesn't it appear when I open it?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/71763-open-apps-not-appearing-taskbar.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Hi About a week ago I downloaded a Super Nintendo emulator app and a couple of games rom files to my PC a Lenovo pc running Windows and found that it had also downloaded a load of some not help! slow 8.1 Windows apps - appearing and please pc really crap along with Windows 8.1 pc really slow and some apps not appearing - please help! it I started getting lots of ad pop-ups and my home page was changed from Google to some other one I can't remember the name now - it was something like adstarsearch or something I then went to Programs Features and uninstalled all the things that had installed on that day deactivated the unwanted search provider ad-ons and ran Malwarebytes which found some malware items and deleted them My computer was running fine from then on or so I thought Yesterday when I switched my pc on I found that after it had booted up not everything had started up properly - several icons that usually appear at the Windows 8.1 pc really slow and some apps not appearing - please help! bottom right of the screen aren't appearing eg my antivirus program Avast dropbox com and I don't have access to the internet I usually have to connect via a Powerline network adapter because wifi's not too good upstairs in our house so effectively a wired connection but this is not connecting now If I try to use any programs or applications Excel Control Panel or anything the computer just hangs and the app never opens If I try to log off I get a message saying Task host window - Task host is stopping background tasks So basically my pc is now unusable I'm guessing I'm still infected by some sort of malware but if I can't even get it to run anything or connect to the internet how can I check this Any help will be gratefully received Thanks

A:Windows 8.1 pc really slow and some apps not appearing - please help!

Did you try system restore to before it happened?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/543804/windows-81-pc-really-slow-and-some-apps-not-appearing-please-help/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hello this is my first post to this forum I am running an English version of Windows XP Pro SP on an Intel-based system in China on my girlfriends computer The OS is in English so I can do maintenance with minimal bother and the apps for the most part are in Simplified Chinese so she can work with minimal bother I have Eastern Language Support installed and enabled and all of the installed IME s work fine Also on all installed Adobe and Microsoft apps the Chinese shows up fine However on kwmusic a popular chinese music player search app the menus and local content windows only show s and garbage characters instead of Chinese The online content windows on the other hand Pro Garbage Windows SP3: apps characters in appearing XP some display the Chinese properly Incidentally the installers for ALL of our Chinese-version apps also display garbage characters instead of Chinese even though all of the apps but one have no problem after installation Just for fun I tried changing the default non-Unicode language to Simplified Chinese but that caused the kwmusic app upon opening to return an error screen in garbage characters and s and shut down immediately After changing the default non-Unicode language back to US English it returned to the behavior initially described Previously we ran kwmusic on a Simplified Chinese version Windows XP Pro SP3: Garbage characters appearing in some apps of XP Home Sp and it worked fine Please advise Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this matter

A:Windows XP Pro SP3: Garbage characters appearing in some apps

Problem solved. I guess I was on the right track originally.

When I changed the non-unicode language to Simplified Chinese, I forgot that it might be best to REINSTALL the malfunctioning app after making that change.

I realized this just now, acted accordingly, and now all is fine.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/241483/windows-xp-pro-sp3-garbage-characters-appearing-in-some-apps/
Relevancy 81.7%

Here, my problem:

The Desktop and Character Map icons are not showing in the windows 8 'all apps' view(when I press my win key).

How can I get them back? Your help would be very appreciated

A:Desktop icon not appearing in windows 8 'all apps' view!

Hello Href Amid, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The tutorial below can help restore your Desktop tile if it is indeed missing.

Desktop - Restore Missing Tile on Windows 8 Start Screen

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/53018-desktop-icon-not-appearing-windows-8-all-apps-view.html
Relevancy 81.7%

When i bring my mouse to the left of the screen, the preview tile for the open apps does not appear fully. Instead it stays as the image of the open app you get when you mouse over the start button at the start screen. Am installing updates now but i dont think that will fix it

This is what it looks like even when i mouse over it.
Help Please!!!!

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/52658-preview-tile-open-apps-not-appearing-fully.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi I wondered issues Windows / Antivirus 10 menu Menu, Apps, Context Metro / Start if anyone out there has had a similar experience to me For some weeks now I have had problems where the START MENU wouldn't launch metro apps OneDrive Tweetium Money News etc would fail to Antivirus / Windows 10 / Start Menu, Metro Apps, Context menu issues launch just a blank window up right mouse clicks wouldn't work internet browsing slowed up Signing out of my windows account then back in again solved it FOR A WHILE After an hour or two gradually one app after another etc the same problems would occur Researching this I came to the conclusion that Windows was corrupt or at least my user profile was and a re-install was necessary OR I also read of compatibility problems with Windows in my AV software Kaspersky Internet Security and wondered if the problem lay there Yesterday I uninstalled Kaspersky and relied on Win Defender For days now unprecedented recently my laptop has behaved impeccably no problems as above So am I to blame Kaspersky Am I safe with Just Win Def Any other AV suites throwing up problems Any Kaspersky users with any experiences to share Thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/antivirus-firewalls-system-security/54439-antivirus-windows-10-start-menu-metro-apps-context-menu-issues.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Hi As the post title suggests I am having trouble with the modern apps and connectivity It feels like half my computer will connect to the internet and the other half won't Desktop apps like Chrome Steam Outlook iTunes etc all work connecting desktop apps apps Modern not fine. to internet, connect to the internet fine but any of the Windows apps like Xbox Modern apps not connecting to internet, desktop apps work fine. Store and most frustratingly Settings will not connect In my Modern apps not connecting to internet, desktop apps work fine. network Modern apps not connecting to internet, desktop apps work fine. and sharing centre in the control panel it says 'You are not connected to any networks' - but in the system tray and in the settings app it shows me as connected to my home wi-fi I am on a desktop and using a USB wireless adapter I don't think the adapter is the problem as I have tried it on another desktop in our house on Windows and it worked fine Curiously also when I click 'Adapter settings' in the control panel it shows the wifi connection I've tried updating the drivers for the wireless adapter both through the Windows update and adapter website but to no avail and as I mentioned it seems the adapter works fine elsewhere I've updated manually to the latest Windows Pro build i've done a DNS flush I've tried disabling firewalls and anti-virus I've tried disabling startup apps I've done a clean install of Windows and still am unable to fix the issue If anyone has any ideas that might help that would be great I'm happy to provide any more information if people need it Thanks very much

A:Modern apps not connecting to internet, desktop apps work fine.

Is your DNS client service running on your system .

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:
Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.In the list of services, click DNS Client.Make sure that the Status column displays Started and that the Startup Type column displays Automatic.If the service is not set to Started or if the startup type for the DNS Client service is not set to Automatic, follow these steps:
Right-click DNS Client, and then click Properties.In the DNS Client Properties dialog box, click the General tab, and then click Automatic in the Startup type list.Click Start, click Apply, and then click OK.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/36508-modern-apps-not-connecting-internet-desktop-apps-work-fine.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Hi I ve been struggling with this problem Internet firefox apps, and for works 3rd IE OS Solved: NOT for or apps party for a few days now The problem is that I do NOT have internet access for firefox chrome dropbox etc but i DO have internet access for IE and certain OS apps like Network Troubleshooter I ve read and tried most of the typical solutions with no avail What I ve Tried Safemode with Networking - same situation I can use IE but not Firefox Chrome etc Reseting Winsock netsh winsock reset etc - didn t work possibly just made matters worse Flushing DNS ipconfig flushdns etc I do NOT have a special proxy and neither firefox nor chrome nor IE are trying to use one I have Solved: Internet works for IE and OS apps, NOT for firefox or 3rd party apps added exceptions in Windows Firewall then just straight up disabled the firewall I have Avira antivirus but it does not contain any firewall features and no place that I can see to add any such exception LSP-Fix exe I tried to fix the LSP registery it found problem from leftover Bonjour dll and I ve repaired it but its changed nothing I ran quick-scan on malwarebytes - found nothing I ran checkdisk and found no errors I have no system restore point Also with firefox I hve tried it in safe-mode and created a new profile but that hasn t changed anything When I try to make a connection with firebug open it says the request was quot aborted quot Because native Microsoft software IE OS software has no problem connecting to the internet I m just trying to figure out what bridge was burned between firefox chrome and the working internet connection It must be at a decently quot low level quot because safe-mode doesn t correct the problem Does anyone hve any new suggestions Or perhaps I am overlooking something obvious with the things I have already tried Thank you so much in advance I really really don t want to have to reformat - I m in law school and don t have the extra time right now HJT Ping IPCONFIG files attached nbsp

A:Solved: Internet works for IE and OS apps, NOT for firefox or 3rd party apps

Ok, so literally nothing was working - I did a "Repair Install" using my windows 7 cd. It took 2 hours, but when it finished up all of my networking was working So, for those of you who are having similar issues, as a last resort I'd give that a shot. Definitely read a few articles about what is required to successfully perform a Repair Install, as you don't want anything going wrong during that process.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-internet-works-for-ie-and-os-apps-not-for-firefox-or-3rd-party-apps.1042498/
Relevancy 78.69%

I'm running 64-bit Windows Vista Home Premium on a system I built myself just the other day. I've recently installed multiple games (Age of Conan, Spore and Warhammer Online) and none of them have created start menu groups. There were no options that I saw during the installation to request their creation. Some applications have created groups like the EA download manager that came with spore, World of Warcraft, Quicktime, etc, so at least it's partially working. Is this a known Vista issue? What can I do to fix it?Thanks

A:Newly Installed Games Don't Appear On Start Menu

Dunno if it's a Vista issue - but it's happened to me on a couple of games.Try posting over in the Games forum for more info: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/20/computer-gaming/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/172646/newly-installed-games-dont-appear-on-start-menu/
Relevancy 78.69%

Hello everybody

Since 2 weeks I have a weird problem with my windows 7. The newly installed programs do not show up in the start menu, however when I type the program's name in "search programs and files" box, it turns out to be right there (see attached screenshot).

Also there seems to be a problem with file association in newly installed programs. For example new matlab installation have the same problem as above plus .m files are not associated.

Does any one know why is it happening? Please help, this is highly annoying

A:newly installed prog. not in start menu

Right-click > pin to start menu

Can you set your associations via properties?

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/165027-newly-installed-prog-not-start-menu.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hi there i am new to these forums and i need help as i cant find help anywhere . My windows 10 start menu under all apps seems to be busted , i click all apps and they listed as they should be A to Z , but when i right click the only option i get is "Pin to start" and nothing else , i am the only user on this machine and i am the admin and i need to fix this asap as i need the " open file location" option . Any help would be great

Thank you

A:All apps menu

The Open file location selection can be found from More submenu:

Notice that the Open file location selection is not available for the Windows Store apps, including the native Windows apps like Camera, Calculator, Mail, Weather and so on.

Kari

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/37595-all-apps-menu.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Having lots of problems after Anniversary Update...can someone help with these two following issues as listed in attached pdf:

Required applications are not installed correctly.

Microsoft.Windows.ShellExperienceHost
Microsoft.Windows.Cortana

Thanks...TiminAz

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/68064-problem-apps-how-reinstall-these-two-apps-win-10-anniversary-vers.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi
i do prefer a local account
but when i try to install new apps from app store
w8.1 asks me to switch to a microsoft account

can i install apps with a local account?
and how can i understand if i have a local account or microsoft account

thanks

A:can i install apps from apps store with a local account?

See the screenshot below for selection you have to make for not to convert your local account to a Microsoft Account:

Windows Store - Sign in with Different Microsoft Account in Windows 8

Screenshot from tutorial Skype App - Use with Local Account in Windows 8.

You of course need an email address (Microsoft Account) but it will only be used for the app in question (Windows Store is also just an app), so in the next dialog either give an existing Microsoft Account credentials or select Sign up for a Microsoft account to create a new one to be used with Store app:

Your Windows sign in account will remain local, it will not be converted to a Microsoft Account.

Kari

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/48228-can-i-install-apps-apps-store-local-account.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Ok so I am trying to figure this out. We have the store disabled through group policy, but would like to give access or deploy a store app to a certain set of users. Is there a way to do this through group policy or just by doing a few steps? Ive been searching around but I cant find anything. Any help would be great, thanks!

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/49115-deploying-apps-installing-apps-when-store-disabled.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Does anyone know how to clear out deleted Windows Store apps from the computer? When you go into the Windows Store and right click and choose 'your apps' the selection 'apps not istalled on this pc' still shows apps that I have deleted. I only installed on one device (unless they auto-install to the xbox360 also?). I cannot see how to clear out previously deleted apps. See attached pic to see what I am talking about.

Thanks!

A:Clear Deleted Store Apps (ie apps not istalled on this pc)

hope its not too soon to rebump...not critical but I want to figure this out...thx!

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/12520-clear-deleted-store-apps-ie-apps-not-istalled-pc.html
Relevancy 77.83%
A:My windows store apps cannot update and i cannot install new apps also

Originally Posted by Windows Central Question error 0x87AF0001 this seems to be a new error, I haven't seen it before
As a standard suggestion - try restarting your device, checking your internet connection, checking time and region settings, checking if your microsoft account is syncing properly or not
What device is this? A pc or mobile?
If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/441352-my-windows-store-apps-cannot-update-i-cannot-install-new-apps-also.html
Relevancy 77.83%

OK i'd Sync, Admin etc??? Be Able As d/l Metro AND To apps, Store Apps Use like to make it clear that i'm using the so-called quot real quot Administrator account that is hidden but can be activated not a regular account with admin privelidges At first i was trying to figure out if Metro apps can be used by this account and it appeared that they cant but managed to find a Use Metro Apps As Admin AND Be Able To Sync, d/l Store apps, etc??? trick to enable it i did it by making sure UAC is on making sure that FilterAdministratorToken is set to a Use Metro Apps As Admin AND Be Able To Sync, d/l Store apps, etc??? value of in the Registry and by enabling quot User Account Control Admin approval mode for the built-in Administrator account quot secpol msc Local Security Policy gt Local Policies gt Security Options So i did a bit more research and toying around only to discover that although i might have found a workaround for running most Metro apps in general i discovered that syncing d l'ing of apps from the Windows Store etc is not possible unless you're using a Microsoft account Please note that any other account with admin privelidges can use the apps without a hitch as well as any Standard account So it clearly is not a limitation of just having an admin account alone Also the built-in Admin is the only kind of account that cant be converted from a local account to a MS Account all other accounts with admin privelidges can do so If you look in the Control Panel and try to make changes to the account you will find that the option isnt available whereas with other accounts it is This brings about the issue of not being able to sync or d l Store apps also note that there is a difference between logging into Windows with a MS Account and simply accessing the apps while using a local account and then manually inputting your MS Account username password when requested By signing in with a MS Account no Metro app will ever prompt you to login after youve done so initially the first time since it remembers your details unless you've reset your password or account security has been compromised etc Judging from what i've read my workaround enables most Metro apps to function except syncing d l'ing of Store apps and perhaps a few other small things issues and so therefore this is not a true solution since other accounts have none of these issues Since the option to convert the real Admin account to a MS Account is not available yet is available to other accounts with admin access as well as Standard accounts then i supposedly cannot use these functions to the fullest extent I am the type of person who prefers to use Windows Linux while logged in as root Admin rather than a limited user all day every day because i trust myself and my abilities am very careful meticulously maintain my systems with the utmost care and caution i do understand that using Admin is considered to be a security risk but it's a risk i'm willing to take and i dont mind learning from my mistakes in the event that bad things happen i do not care to be told by Microsoft how to run my system what i can do on them etc Complete and absolute control is what i demand at least to the greatest extent possible considering that Windows is proprietary and closed-source yet i depend on it for many things like running a business gaming etc I didnt post this to rant or spout my opinions but to solicit feedback on how this issue s can be overcome or worked around without having to use a nd account to get the full features of Metro apps I'm also wondering if there is possibly a way official unofficial or otherwise of being able to run a Metro app as another user account whether local or MS Account doesnt really matter i think while still remaining on the Metro screen of the real Admin account without having to manually log into my nd account and access Metro from there By perhaps using a quot Run As quot command link shortcut or similar Maybe that sounded a bit long-winded and confu... Read more

A:Use Metro Apps As Admin AND Be Able To Sync, d/l Store apps, etc???

Hello Stephen, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Setting that security policy below to be enabled will basically just turn the built-in elevated "Administrator" account into an unelevated administator account that requires UAC approval to open or run anything that requires elevated rights to do so.

This would be why you are able to open the Store afterwards, but you would still need to sign into the Store with any Microsoft account to be able to install any "Metro" Store apps.
Windows Store - Sign in with Different Microsoft Account in Windows 8

You still will not be able to switch the built-in "Administrator" to be a Microsoft account. It can only remain as a local account.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/10356-use-metro-apps-admin-able-sync-d-l-store-apps-etc.html
Relevancy 77.83%

PC Cleaning Apps are a Scam Here s Why and How to Speed Up Your PC nbsp nbsp PC cleaning apps are digital snake oil The web is full PC apps: Why truth Scam Apps Here?s Cleaning The behind (and... of ads for applications that want to clean your PC and make it feel like new Don t pull out your credit card these apps are terrible and you don t need them If you do want to clean your PC you can do it for free Windows includes built-in PC cleaning tools The truth behind PC Cleaning apps: Scam Apps Here?s Why (and... that can do almost all of what the average PC cleaning app will do for you nbsp Let s Investigate a PC Cleaning App nbsp So what do these apps do anyway To investigate we ran MyCleanPC don t try this at home we installed this bad software so you don t have to MyCleanPC is one of the most prominent PC cleaning apps it even advertises itself with television The truth behind PC Cleaning apps: Scam Apps Here?s Why (and... commercials First let s look at its Frequently Asked Questions to see what it promises The full paid version of the MyCleanPC software will attempt to remove issues found with your PC s registry and hard drive including removal of junk files unneeded registry entries Internet browsing traces and fragmented portions of your hard drive We re already on thin ice here Windows can remove junk files clear Internet browsing traces and defragment your hard drive without installing additional software MyCleanPC offers a free diagnosis which is little more than an attempt to scare people into thinking their computers have thousands of issues that can be fixed for an easy payment After running a scan you ll see an alarming count of the number of problems on your computer It found issues on our computer That s an extremely alarming number but what exactly is an issue Every browser cookie and history entry counts as a single issue Every temporary file counts as a single issue no matter how tiny it is Invalid registry entries are considered issues although they shouldn t actually slow down your computer Our registry can be compacted a bit but this shouldn t make a noticeable different in performanceEvery fragmented file counts as a single issue MyCleanPC is measuring fragmentation based on the number of fragmented files leading to a scary-looking data fragmentation statistic For comparison the Windows Disk Defragmenter tells us we have fragmentation nbsp Now that they ve scared you this is the part where you would take out your credit card and give them to clean your PC Don t Believe the HypeTemporary files are not slowing down your computer and neither are browser history entries or cookies Registry entries are generally not a problem there s a reason Microsoft once created a registry cleaner of their own before discontinuing it and advising people not to use registry cleaners Yes your computer can be slow because its file system is fragmented You can fix this by running the Disk Defragmenter tool included with Windows the Disk Defragmenter runs automatically on a schedule anyway Most people shouldn t have to worry about defragmenting their hard drives anymore nbsp nbsp How to Actually Clean Your PCLet s say you want to clean your PC just like a PC cleaner would Here s what you can do Run the Disk Cleanup tool included with Windows It s focused on freeing up space on your hard drive but it will also delete old temporary files and other useless things Just tap the Windows key type Disk Cleanup and press Enter to launch it You can even schedule a Disk Cleanup to clean your computer automatically Clear your browser history or even better set your browser to automatically clear its history when you close it if you don t want to store a history Run the Disk Defragmenter included with Windows This isn t necessary if you use a solid-state drive Don t bother with a registry cleaner If you must use the free CCleaner which has the best-tested registry cleaner out there It will also delete temporary files for other programs ... Read more

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/The-truth-behind-PC-Cleaning-apps-Scam-Apps-Here-s-Why-and/td-p/5638965
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi Everyone I'm superlulu from France sorry my English I'm installing Windows on new computer for my organization I try to configurate one with fresh install package of apps like Libreoffice VLC etc for users and custom desktop describes in this crash apps Sysprep and and apps default windows tutorial Default User Profile - Customize in Windows - Windows Forums It works fine in audit mode I install apps drivers custom desktop Sysprep and default apps and windows apps crash and configure default apps like google chrome for internet browser adobe reader for pdf files etc then I run the command line to enter oobe mode generalize Everything is ok I continue my install Then I create new user local account And when windows starts I have my custom desktop but default apps are removed Microsoft Edge replace Chrome Pdf files are read with Edge etc and Apps Windows like quot Weather quot or quot Actualities quot crash I really don't understand what happened i try many times for same issue Does anyone have an idea Thanks a lot

A:Sysprep and default apps and windows apps crash

then I run the command line to enter oobe mode generalize. Everything is ok, I continue my install. Then I create new user local account. And when windows starts, I have my custom desktop but default apps are removed (Microsoft Edge replace Chrome, Pdf files are read with Edge, etc.)

I never tried sysprepping 10 but i have faced similar issues with 8.1. Turned out that you need to save the default app associations to an XML file using DISM (before Generalizing the image ) and later import it.

Export or Import Default Application Associations

Configure, export, import App File Associations in Windows 8.1

I have used "Setupcomplete.cmd" to auto import the app associations during the last face of install.

Add a Custom Script to Windows Setup
You may also need to disable the new app notification before generalizing the image.

New App Installed Notification - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/17255-sysprep-default-apps-windows-apps-crash.html
Relevancy 77.83%

It's kinda distracting to see the highlight on newly installed programs on the Start Menu. It makes want to click it even if I don't even need to open the program anyway. How do I stop this from happening every time I install a new program?

A:Do not highlight newly installed programs in Start Menu?

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/5508/quick-tip-disable-highlighting-new-programs-in-windows-7-vista-and-xp/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/424933/do-not-highlight-newly-installed-programs-in-start-menu/
Relevancy 77.83%

I just installed XP over a Vista installation, is it possible to use compatible apps without reinstalling them? For example, I have firefox installed on the Vista partition, would I be able to use that installation (and settings, etc)?
I know I can't use an incompatible program, but there are a *lot* that I should be able to use.

A:Using already installed apps

you said you install xp over vista then you say you have a vista partition - which is it???

Anyway, you cannot use any programs installed in another os in a dual boot situation. You will have to reinstall and purchase a second license as needed.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/using-already-installed-apps-348713.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I decided to create a folder in the apps menu for all of my games. I moved all of my game shortcuts from my desktop into the new Games folder I discovered that if there was already an entry for a game in another folder that the new entry would not be displayed. This is not just be title but by the target of the shortcut.

That's all well and good but now I'm puzzled by the order in which the entries are displayed. I would have thought that they would be sorted alphabetically but they are not. Notice that "Crysis 1" is between "Origin" and "Steam."

Any thoughts on how to make the system sort them by name?

A:Apps Menu Sorting

Yeah, Crysis1 seems to be an oddball. There must be something else to it. Maybe you want to have a closer look. Else everything seems OK.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/33936-apps-menu-sorting.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hello all, is there a way to have the apps menu opened when i press the winkey instead of the start menu?

I like how everything is organized in apps, icons, sizes, etc but i can't find a way to open apps without opening the start menu first, or press win-x or click on search.

I have a lot of shortcuts in different folders and i'd like to have them organized the way the apps menu organizes all the programs.

thx all in advance

A:Apps instead of start menu

Hello Gallo, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Actually, the Start screen may be better for this since you could organize and arrange them how you like in Start where you can't in Apps. The tutorials below can help show you how to if you like.
Start Screen - Pin or Unpin App, Folder, or Drive in Windows 8Start Screen Apps - Organize into GroupsStart Screen - Name or Rename a Group of Apps in Windows 8http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/7083-apps-instead-start-menu.html
Relevancy 77.4%

For anyone NEW to Windows The start screen is NOT a replacement for the start menu The all apps area IS the replacement for the start menu The start screen is a place for links to get pinned It is a launcher A start screen Similarly the desktop screen is a all start new apps menu the is typical dumping ground for shortcuts that you might or might not want there It would be up all apps is the new start menu to the user whether to keep them there or not The same holds true for the start screen The start screen is an application launching area Whether you think the metro or the Windows Store is all apps is the new start menu bad or good does not matter here The start screen is not designed to manage everything and all installations on the computer The all apps area is where the Operating System manages sorts labels and organizes everything installed on the computer NOT the start screen The all apps area uses a feature called semantic zooming point your mouse to the bottom right corner where you see a minus sign or press Ctrl and roll your mouse scroll wheel in the all apps area that summarizes the contents of what is installed on the computer Here every block is alphabetically organized and labelled into their own program group The zooming feature is highly adaptable to many installations and takes one to the screen where your program is located Unzoomed all apps is a new design to eliminate nesting and hierarchical menu structuring Any frequently needed program can be pinned to the start screen or taskbar on the desktop That's it Apps Screen - Open in Windows Start Screen - Pin or Unpin App Folder or Drive in Windows quot All Apps quot Shortcut - Create in Windows

A:all apps is the new start menu

There is another thread, arguing the pros and cons on this subject. I can see your point, but I see the (call it Metro) screen differently.
In windows 7 and earlier, I spent time, after an initial install, arranging the Start menu into folders. I knew the contents of those folders and, when I required an app, I could go there with the necessary clicks. (Start Globe - Programs - Folder - Application). I have arranged my Metro in groups, in a similar way. But I find a spin off here. I would like the groups folded. But I have eliminated those I use infrequently, and have finished with about fifteen "dailies". This , to me, is directly comparative to the old menu.
When I select "All Apps", I get a shortcut to every .exe on my computer. Not quite so good as my earlier, more selective, system, as I said, the folders are all open, but it works for me. One sweep and I am across to the other side. I have now got used to knowing which side particular apps lie, so it takes an instant of my time. With my method of customisation, I certainly do not regard it as a Start menu. It is what I find when I open respective folders.
My opinion only: I have never liked the idea (I know it is popular!) of cluttering my desktop (that is, the legacy desktop) with shortcut icons and, frankly, I see not a single advantage over the Metro screen, of the Desktop in you picture.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/9789-all-apps-new-start-menu.html
Relevancy 77.4%

it seems windows has more clutter than any before it there are so many apps i'll probably never use i feel like deleting all of them but i need to know what they are are apps... necessary? menu any start i suppose all these music movie reading and game links go to websites so i could probably get rid of start menu apps... are any necessary? all those wildtangent games - isn't that a virus even the one that says microsoft solitaire collection looks suspicious to me what is it where does it go the thing that bugs me the most is how microsoft ignored flash all these years now suddenly all my flash videos open with windows live movie maker which is some online thing with all these start menu apps... are any necessary? agreements and such and who knows what and every time i accidentally click on one there it is again and it yells at me for not accepting windows live essentials If you use the software to access content that has been protected with Microsoft Digital Rights Management DRM the software may automatically request media usage rights from an online rights server and download and install DRM updates in order to let you play the content i'd like to get rid of all of this all this cyberlink stuff all this hp stuff who knows if i need it or not there's like sixty programs installed is there a list somewhere of all the apps installed that would let me know what and where they are that would help me make an intelligent decision i could click on everything and see where it goes but i really don't want to do that thanks for any help you can give

A:start menu apps... are any necessary?

You could try Should I remove it.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/59365-start-menu-apps-any-necessary.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Is this really a limitation for win Obviously apps can be pinned as tiles but it's impossible to pin them to the left area It seems that only a select list of folders can be pinned there but not apps or any personal folders You're stuck with some automated process to determine which apps appear and which don't recently used most used etc That's useless if an app doesn't fall into those categories Coming from win this is extremely dissappointing It seems the new windows start menu is all about showy tiles and seriously lacking in function I guess folks were so used to win that any improvement was seen as a revolution Am I missing something here - Is there some way to remove all those quot NEW quot signs beside all the apps in the All Apps directory - Any way of narrowing the widith of the tile panel I mean the height can be changed but not the width I have a narrow strip of small tiles within a massive panel If I remove all of them it dissappears but can't simply decrease the width

A:Can't pin apps to start-menu.

Hello sleepless,

You might see if the tutorial below may be able to help add shortcuts of apps in the All Apps area of your Start menu.

All apps in Start menu - Add or Remove Items in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/53341-cant-pin-apps-start-menu.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Been through half a dozen windows installs trying to get it right Im not sure at what point this happened as everything in there from hours days ago works fine I just installed GIMP as im working on fixing my busted iphone icons in devices amp 10 newly installed any click I windows in on start menu programs cant printers and I tried to click on it in the start menu and nothing happens Not like the click even registers whatsoever Its like its not even there might as well be clicking on empty space on the I cant click on any newly installed programs in windows 10 start menu desktop Any ideas Any services that could be the culprit I always set to manual instead of disable and ill be the first to admit i turned off indexing as well as used winaero tweaker but so far so good except this I'm anal enough that I wont proceed with my icon making until I get this resolved and i will DIE if i have to concede to another dump of windows and a wasted day Only so much free time w a y o Rest assured I know one of you guys will know Site is an amazing resource

A:I cant click on any newly installed programs in windows 10 start menu

So fwiw - it will work after a restart.

Question is, what is or is not happening that makes them unuseable until I restart?

I hope this tidbit makes it an easy fix/easier fix!

If i didnt have killer OCD and pride in my overpriced PC, i'd just leave it and restart every time i installed something. That being said, its a pain and unrealistic and means an underlying problem exists.

I'm sure ya'll understand or you wouldnt be here

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/59143-i-cant-click-any-newly-installed-programs-windows-10-start-menu.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Greetings I visit this forum for a while now just reading on problems and eventual fixes But since i got my Vista theres a issue that i wasn't be able to fix yet so i actually signed up today to ask a question myself Heres my problem Vista Ultimate I have a Admin and a Regular User account for surfing gaming etc But whenever i install a program game while usign the user account it installs correctly but programs displayed installed start newly in arent Most menu. there are never entrys folders shortcuts in the Most newly installed programs arent displayed in start menu. start menu Some programs mostly lil tools will show up there but pretty much none of the games i install ever does But if i log into my Admin account i can find all the shortcuts folders in the start- gt programs menu there Yes i can create shortcuts and copy and paste them into the start menu on the user account but i was wondering if theres a setting or option that could fix this annoyance Thank you and i appreciate any help Turrican

A:Most newly installed programs arent displayed in start menu.

Hi Turrican and welcome to Vista Forums

Do these programs/games request administrative privileges to install? If they do, and you grant them the necessary privileges (which you will have to, otherwise they won't proceed), then it could be that you will find the shortcuts if you log in to the administrator account. Some allow themselves to be installed for the current user or for all users, so choose the latter option. For those that do not offer this option, you will have to manually create the shortcuts. Note that, even with the shortcuts present, you might need to right click and select Run as administrator in order to execute it.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/200437-most-newly-installed-programs-arent-displayed-start-menu.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I?ve installed windows eight and it all seemed to go fine but I can?t get the apps to work. Everthing runs ok via the desktop but when I try to open an app it opens, shows the logo for a few seconds and then returns to the Start screen.

When I open my old programs I?m directed to the Desktop and I?m informed that ati catalyst doesn?t work.

Anyone know whats wrong or what I?ve missed?

A:Installed 8 - apps dont work

Sounds like the video card drivers or a resolution problem, what are you running it on and at what resolution.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/10628-installed-8-apps-don-t-work.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi experts, just today. When I boot my machine, I can't see all my installed apps and also can't search them. Please see attached picture.
In my Desktop window I can see my files.
What should I do?

A:No installed apps on Windows 8.1

Hi Gimomars!

Here you go might help you to finding your windows apps.

Getting apps for your PC - Microsoft Windows

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/44958-no-installed-apps-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I stepped on this tutorial which might be useful.

Keep Track of the Apps That Were Installed on Your Windows 8.1 Devices

A:Keep trach of your installed apps

Thank you very much For that idea

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/43316-keep-trach-your-installed-apps.html
Relevancy 76.97%

I want to make iso such that when i install the operating system in future i do not have to install any drivers again.

A:is there any way to make iso of OS with pre-installed apps?

Add Drivers to Windows Installation ISO | Thomas Maurer

How to Create a Custom Windows Installation DVD or USB Install

How to add drivers to Windows 7 installation DVD? - Super User
Not really sure but I think you would still have to install the drivers, I would think having an image would be easier

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/336774-there-any-way-make-iso-os-pre-installed-apps.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Anybody else getting store updates for apps they have uninstalled. Twice now I've got updates listed for Apps I uninstalled. Sports, Finance, News and one or two other of the default Apps that are installed with Windows 8.

A:Getting updates for Apps I don't have installed?

Try wsreset.exe at the command prompt

Store Cache - Clear in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/30573-getting-updates-apps-i-dont-have-installed.html
Relevancy 76.97%

everytime i click on apps it exits back to home screen, was working fine until i had a few updates this morning, any help will be appreciated

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/10938-cant-access-my-installed-apps.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Hello all,

I am new here, although I did come here quite a few times and many times found the solution :-)

My problem is (I am on 1511) that some icons of removed (by powershell) apps reapeared, and there seem to be no way to get rid of them. Nothing I have found had worked (like going to start menu folder and deleting the shorcuts).

Namely it's MicrosoftWindowsAlarms, MicrosoftZuneMusic, MicrosoftWindowsPhotos, and in Apps the name looks like this: @{Microsoft.WindowsAlarms_10.1607.1991.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwems-resource--Microsoft.WindowsAlarms-Resources-AppName-Text}

Moreover, few days ago some "new" apps have materialized - that was a shock........no update, nothing, out of blue I had about 10 unwanted apps in my all apps...............crazy.

Any thoughts?

P.S. Normally I deffer updates by turning the service off and/or metered connection. Now I have left it on by mistake...........still should not install against my will some unwanted apps..........and as I said, no update.....

A:Icons of uninstalled apps showing in All apps

Those left-over icons may be a result of deleting programs instead of using Control Panel, Programs and Features to uninstall the programs. When a program is installed the install routine puts the program files in either C:\Program Files [32-bit] or C:\Program Files for 64-bit or C:\Program Files (x86) for 32-bit depending upon which version of the OS is in use. It will also create the icons, write support files to C:\Windows or other Folders and create Registry entries so Windows knows how to run the program. The uninstall routine is supposed to get rid of everything associated, don't know if PowerShell can do it as cleanly.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/65306-icons-uninstalled-apps-showing-all-apps.html
Relevancy 76.54%

So I just found out that i can't pin left in the start menu anymore.

Now that i'm done complaining. How do i organize my "All Apps" Menu.

Calculator, Contact, Mail, Cortana, etc ALL of this garbage bloatware is something i just want to create a folder called Microsoft Bloat and put it in there. How do i do this?

First time around, i uninstalled all of it using power shell but i ended up needing the store and one other app but W10 went retarded and didn't allow me to reinstall the packages, so this time around. I just want to organize them into a folder that i will never touch

I really hope someone can help me do this, i don't feel like downgrading back to 8.1 which as it stands right now was better for me when using Start8.

A:Hide/Organize Universal Apps in All Apps

RE : So I just found out that i can't pin left in the start menu anymore

What do you mean by " pin left" ? Would you please explain ?

RE : Calculator, Contact, Mail, Cortana, etc ALL of this garbage bloatware is something i just want to create a folder called Microsoft Bloat and put it in there. How do i do this?

I don't believe you can do that. The apps are being organized in alphabetical order and I don't think you can take some of them out and put into a folder.

RE : First time around, i uninstalled all of it using power shell

You don't have to uninstall all of them.
Here is a tutorial where you can pick and choose what to uninstall.
Apps - Uninstall in Windows 10

Have a look at Option Two and Three.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/41505-hide-organize-universal-apps-all-apps.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Hello All

I upgraded from Vista Ultimate 32 to 7 Ultimate 32.

The only quirk I cannot solve is that I see no apps on my task bar. ANd when I minimize a window it does not go to the task bar as it should. It look like a small minimized window. See attached snip.[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Tim/Desktop/Web%20Sites/Capture.JPG[/IMG]

Any ideas?

Tim
http://www.thebartman.com/Capture.JPG

A:Minimized apps and Running apps not on task bar

Quote: Originally Posted by twasmer

Hello All

I upgraded from Vista Ultimate 32 to 7 Ultimate 32.

The only quirk I cannot solve is that I see no apps on my task bar. ANd when I minimize a window it does not go to the task bar as it should. It look like a small minimized window. See attached snip.[IMG]file:///C:/Users/Tim/Desktop/Web%20Sites/Capture.JPG[/IMG]

Any ideas?

Tim
http://www.thebartman.com/Capture.JPG

Hi! Welcome to SevenForums!

Have you tried locking the taskbar? Try it.

If that doesn't work, right click the taskbar and click properties. [See Screenshot Called Properties]

Then under Notification Area click Customize. [See Screenshot called Customize]

Then tick the box at the bottom and click apply. [See Screenshot called Notification Area.]

Try that and report back!

ZeshanA

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/33784-minimized-apps-running-apps-not-task-bar.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi, My name is Roy, ive searched all the other forum threads in this topic and i couldn't find what i was looking for.

Now, my problem is that my Windows 8 apps wont update and i cant install new apps. ive had this problem before, but i forgot how to solve it. I remember it had something to do with a folder not being in the C:/windows folder. I also remember it began with a "A" (Appinstaller?).

i was wondering if anyone who CAN install their apps and update them could look into their C:/Windows folder and write down a list of folders that appear starting with the letter "A".

Thanks in advanced!

Roy (emoteen134)

A:Updates to Window 8 Apps and Installation of Apps

Hello Roy, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Usually when you have issues with installing or updated apps from the Store, you would need to clear the Store cache to fix it.
Store Cache - Clear in Windows 8
If that doesn't help, then double check through the troubleshooting steps in the tutorial below to see if one may be the issue.

Apps and Tiles Not Working or Responding: Fix in Windows 8
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/30111-updates-window-8-apps-installation-apps.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Have the apps being developed for W10M improved in quality or features compared with the old 8.1 apps? Or have they become worse?
I remember reading that Uber in W10M is worse compared with WP8.1 but the instagram app in W10M is better
What are your thoughts? Please state which app or apps you're basing your conclusions on
Thank you

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/437675-windows-phone-8-1-apps-better-new-w10m-apps.html
Relevancy 76.54%

can someone post a comprehensive list of apps that ship with windows 8, and a list of currently available multimedia, web browser, and utilities apps available in the windows store, along with any news and weather apps please?

trying to find a list of apps on the net is a ye olde pain in the tukous...

A:apps that ship with windows 8 and apps available in store

Originally Posted by xraiderv1

can someone post a comprehensive list of apps that ship with windows 8, and a list of currently available multimedia, web browser, and utilities apps available in the windows store, along with any news and weather apps please?

trying to find a list of apps on the net is a ye olde pain in the tukous...

That's because there are thousands of em and more are added daily. So any list would be out of date.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/13851-apps-ship-windows-8-apps-available-store.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Hello, and thank you for being included in the forum.
I am trying to learn Windows 8. I have weeded out a few apps from the Start screen by right clicking and then clicking Uninstall. The apps in question disappeared from the Start screen, however, they remain in the apps folder. How do I complete a total uninstall?
Regards,
Knudane.

A:Apps remain in the apps folder after uninstall

I'm having this issue too, how do I remove these apps?

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/14730-apps-remain-apps-folder-after-uninstall.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I was using Windows 10 build 10316 normally until I use the Razer Game Booster.
After that, All Applications List in the start menu no longer shows any application...

I uninstalled the program but the problem persists.

Now, I update to build 10328 and nothing changes!

Any help?

P.S. Sorry my bad english.

A:windows 10 All apps List not showing any apps

Give this a try...................
How to Reinstall and Re-register All Built-in Windows Apps in Windows 8 and 10
Apps - Reinstall and Re-register in Windows 8 and 10

By the way, please do not apologize for your English.
1. Your English is wonderful.
2. English is not the only language in this planet. Be proud of your own national language.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/48115-windows-10-all-apps-list-not-showing-any-apps.html
Relevancy 76.54%

So I just found out that i can't pin left in the start menu anymore.

Now that i'm done complaining. How do i organize my "All Apps" Menu.

Calculator, Contact, Mail, Cortana, etc ALL of this garbage bloatware is something i just want to create a folder called Microsoft Bloat and put it in there. How do i do this?

First time around, i uninstalled all of it using power shell but i ended up needing the store and one other app but W10 went retarded and didn't allow me to reinstall the packages, so this time around. I just want to organize them into a folder that i will never touch

I really hope someone can help me do this, i don't feel like downgrading back to 8.1 which as it stands right now was better for me when using Start8.

A:Hide/Organize Universal Apps in All Apps

RE : So I just found out that i can't pin left in the start menu anymore

What do you mean by " pin left" ? Would you please explain ?

RE : Calculator, Contact, Mail, Cortana, etc ALL of this garbage bloatware is something i just want to create a folder called Microsoft Bloat and put it in there. How do i do this?

I don't believe you can do that. The apps are being organized in alphabetical order and I don't think you can take some of them out and put into a folder.

RE : First time around, i uninstalled all of it using power shell

You don't have to uninstall all of them.
Here is a tutorial where you can pick and choose what to uninstall.
Apps - Uninstall in Windows 10

Have a look at Option Two and Three.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/41505-hide-organize-universal-apps-all-apps.html
Relevancy 76.54%

My wife has a Lumia 550 with Windows 10 mobile and recently decided to uninstall an app called 6tag. When she returned to her start menu most of her apps had disappeared. I checked using the storage app and they're all still on the phone but she has no way of accessing them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/434717-all-my-apps-phone-but-cannot-seen-start-menu.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Is there a way to move apps from the Start Menu to folders on the Desktop? I want to put all games that are now tiles in my Start Menu to a Games Folder on my Desktop.

A:Start Menu Apps to Desktop?

Just drag/drop the app to desktop, or to the corresponding desktop folders.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/46338-start-menu-apps-desktop.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I personally enjoy the Windows 8 Start Menu and I was wondering whether I could directly go to Apps when I press the Windows key instead of going to the Start Menu first, then right clicking, and then going to All Apps. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

A:Is there a way to go directly to Apps in the Start Menu?

From the desktop or start screen - move mouse to top right (or bottom) - get charms -
select the search - 1 click to ALL APPS
or - start screen - Winkey + Z / press enter
or from the desktop - Winkey + C / search / press enter

Unfortunately, we cannot speak to the computer and say:
"Computer > Start Screen"

or

"Computer > ALL APPS"

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/8663-there-way-go-directly-apps-start-menu.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I deleted a browser a long time ago and, today, when looking for an app I noticed the browswer software was still in apps list in start menu. It would not delete, so did this route and got it. Dont know if this is of any value but thought I'd tell you.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/60578-deleting-apps-start-menu.html
Relevancy 76.54%

When I click 'all apps' in the Windows menu it doesn't respond when scrolling or clicking a program. I can however use the TAB/DOWN/UP keys to scroll through the list and use ENTER to start the program. Is there any fix for this?

A:'All apps' in Windows menu not responding

Troubleshooting suggestion :

Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
It will take quite sometime.
When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
1. No integrity violation.
2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
If the report is #3, use this method................
In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
Again it will take some time.
When finished, it will give you a report.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/40569-all-apps-windows-menu-not-responding.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I think i am kinda stupid for asking this(seeing how it seems like it should be such a simple thing. Also, how i do i get an email sent to me when someone replys to my treads?
Thanks,
Ben

A:How do i restore apps to the start menu

Hello Neverhavemoney!

First r click on the prog / app in question and click "Pin To Start Menu".
Second go to "User CP", above then "Edit Options", "Messaging & Notification" change it to what you want.

Keep us informed!

Later Ted

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/189281-how-do-i-restore-apps-start-menu.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Greetings from Colorado;

There are a couple of Microsoft Excel files that I use quite frequently. Is there a way to Pin these individual files to my Apps Menu? I did a right click on the file name and the only thing close that I saw was to Add to Start Menu. Tried it and it didn't do anything.

Regards, Patric

A:How to Pin an Individual File to the Apps Menu

Hello Patric,

If you mean on your Apps screen, then this may help.

"Apps" Screen - Add or Remove Items in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/60859-how-pin-individual-file-apps-menu.html
Relevancy 76.54%

My apologies for the 'glitchy' video but if you pause it now and then and check the description in YouTube you'll get the gist of it!

A:Clean Up the 'All Apps' Menu in Windows 8.1

In addition to help.

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/44802-clean-up-all-apps-menu-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Can someone look at my brothers log For some reason his computer can't do an anti virus update and when I go to the add remove tap it won't let me uninstall certain programs Also there are some programs in his add remove tab that seem weird Thanks in advance Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system Ati evxx exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system And Update To Unable Unable Uninstall Apps To Anti-virus spoolsv exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgcc exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgamsvr exeC PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgupsvc exeC PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgemc exeC WINDOWS system drivers KodakCCS exeC Unable To Update Anti-virus And Unable To Uninstall Apps WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS system wscntfy exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox Unable To Update Anti-virus And Unable To Uninstall Apps firefox exeC Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Unable To Update Anti-virus And Unable To Uninstall Apps Main Default Page URL http www dell me com mywayR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http us rd yahoo com customize ie defaul rch search htmlR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http us rd yahoo com customize ie defaul www yahoo comR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http us rd yahoo com customize ie defaul rch search htmlR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http us rd yahoo com customize ie defaul www yahoo comR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Microsoft Internet Explorer presented by ComcastR - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer R - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dllO - Hosts idenupdate motorola comO - BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dllO - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dllO - BHO DriveLetterAccess - CA D E- - CF- E - - C WINDOWS system dla tfswshx dllO - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - Toolbar no name - BA B -B - c -B - F F - no file O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dllO - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgcc exe STARTUPO - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottimeO - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exeO - HKCU Run Yahoo Pager quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exe quot -quietO - HKUS S- - - Run AVG Run C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgw exe RUNONCE User 'LOCAL SERVICE' O - HKUS S- - - Run AVG Run C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgw exe RUNONCE User 'NETWORK SERVICE' O - HKUS S- - - Run AVG Run C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgw exe RUNONCE User 'SYSTEM' O - HKUS DEFAULT Run AVG Run C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgw exe RUNONCE User 'Default user' O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - Extra 'Tools' menui... Read more

A:Unable To Update Anti-virus And Unable To Uninstall Apps

Hi and welcome,

Sorry for delay.

if you still need help, please do the following:

Open Hijackthis
Click "config"
Click "misc tools"
Click "open uninstall manager"
Click "save list...."
Save the list and post the log.

Click bottom "back" button so you are back at main Hijackthis window.
Click "scan"
When done click "save log..."
Save log someplace and post it here.

---------------------

What happens when you try uninstalling programs?
Which ones out of the list are you trying to uninstall but will not?

let me know also what you have done so far to try & fix the issues.

Thanks!

If it seems I have abandoned you (no reply in ~24 hours) please PM me. My email is flakey and sometimes I dont get reply messeges.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/100144/unable-to-update-anti-virus-and-unable-to-uninstall-apps/
Relevancy 76.11%

Every time i install a new program or whatnot the start menu folder is always empty.
When i right click and select open it says "You don't currently have permission to access this folder" although when i click continue i can access it so it seems it might be security related...
I am the only user on this PC so i shouldn't be getting these messages, right?
And im almost 100% sure its not a virus (tested with malwarebytes) unless its some kind of super hidden virus.
Any ideas?

A:Newly installed programs show empty start menu folders

What anti virus softawre are you running and is it up to date? What do you mean by the Start Menu? W hat program is this on?

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/247347-newly-installed-programs-show-empty-start-menu-folders.html
Relevancy 76.11%

My upgrade from 7 Pro to 8 Pro was smooth.
I tried to use location on the Bing weather app and it was over 100 miles out. Couldn't figure out how to solve this so uninstalled it.
Then I did something obviously stupid, I did a restore. I thought that by 'all apps' WIndows 8 did not mean programs, but it evidently does (a slight rewrite would make that clearer to those of us who don't identify all apps as including programs).
Ok, I had to reinstall programs, a nuisance but that's all. However, all my Bing apps are now gone.
They appear in 'Your apps' in the store as in my computer named DOUGW-PC but a search doesn't find them. Reinstalling doesn't do anything either. I can install new apps and they show up fine.
Doug

A:Can't view installed Bing Apps

Hello Doug, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You would need to reinstall the app from "Your apps" in the Store instead. "Your apps" is only a reference of what apps you installed for that PC. It doesn't mean that they are currently installed or not.

Option One in the tutorial below gives more information about this to help more if you like.

Apps - Install Metro Apps from Windows 8 Store

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/29965-cant-view-installed-bing-apps.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Does registry base contain info about a time of starting and terminating installed apps?

Thanks

A:A time of starting installed apps

Hi. . .

An installed app can be set to start at a specific time, time elapsed, or when an event occurs - like logon. Many anti-virus packages start up via commands from the registry upon boot-up or user logon. The user has similar options through the use of the Task Scheduler.

There is no scheduled termination although theoretically a time limit could be used, but I've never seen this on a PC - just on a mainframe system.

Certainly, any app or lesser system service can be "killed" by the system should system resources become endangered.

Did you have something in mind?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/a-time-of-starting-installed-apps-227123.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I had a motherboard failure. I moved my 2 hard disks to a new computer, and installed a new OEM copy of Win 7 as drive C:, with new installation of apps.
The old computer had Win 7 and XP dual-booting in two drives on the same physical disk. Both of them, with all their installed apps, are redundant and dead as far as I?m concerned. They?re on a separate physical disk from drive C:.
Is it safe to delete them? I'd prefer not to format because there are also a lot of data files on it.

I used EasyBCD to check where the machine?s booting from, with this result:

?There is one entry in the Windows bootloader.
Default: Windows 7
Timeout: 30 seconds
Boot Drive: C:\
Entry #1
Name: Windows 7
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe?

A:Can I safely delete two old OS and their installed apps?

You can delete the OS files without affecting the user data. However, as you need to have a backup (for WHEN a hard drive fails, not IF) I would copy all the user data to a folder on the new drive, then format the old drive. Use the old drive as backup for the new drive using a full hard drive backup program such as Macrium Reflect (I don't like the Windows backup as it is not a full backup like the commercial backup programs).

BTW. you don't need Easy BCD to find out what is the boot drive. Just go to the System Configuration Panel (msconfig) and display the Boot. Click the Start orb and then enter either "System Configuration" or "msconfig" and press enter. The panel will come up and in the Boot Tab will be what OS (or OS's) are there. In fact if you had a dual boot of say Win 7 and Win XP in that panel and you wanted to remove XP all you have to do is delete it from that panel.

Here is mine, I have a dual boot with Win 7 and Win 8. Win 7 is set as the "default" during boot up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/332693-can-i-safely-delete-two-old-os-their-installed-apps.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I'm using Classic Shell to navigate and I go to the Apps folder. I have tons of apps installed it seams, Weather, Video, Travel, netflix etc.. i don't need any of these and wish to completely remove them from my system. I suspect i should be able to do this from Programs and Features and turning windows features on and off but I don't know where these apps reside.. I can't seem to be able to find any of them in the Windows features area. I also want to uninstall any unneeded apps that show up in the metro start page thing. Not just disable them, or unpin them.. I don't want them on my system at all.

Ideas?

A:How do you uninstall the widows 8 pre-installed apps?

Right click on the app in your start page and choose Uninstall. I don't know if this functionality is there in Classic Shell or not, since I don't use it.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/15014-how-do-you-uninstall-widows-8-pre-installed-apps.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Anyone aware of any utility(s) that will allow for the identification, and extraction of all apps that were formerly installed from an (RegEdit) exported (complete) registry. Sure would save me a hunk of time having to re-install a bunch of s/w. I have many of the activation keys.

Randy Reist
Lairbear
Perpetual s/w Tweaker

A:Recover Installed Apps from Old Registry

Quote: Originally Posted by Lairbear

Anyone aware of any utility(s) that will allow for the identification, and extraction of all apps that were formerly installed from an (RegEdit) exported (complete) registry. Sure would save me a hunk of time having to re-install a bunch of s/w. I have many of the activation keys.

Randy Reist
Lairbear
Perpetual s/w Tweaker

Nothing I have ever encountered provides for that functionality. The only way I would trust the software to run properly with all necessary registry entries would be a reinstall.

HTH

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/304379-recover-installed-apps-old-registry.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I have a refurbished XP Pro box and I want to migrate all the installed apps from an older (doddery) XP Pro machine to this one. Is there a way without re-installing every app?
TIA,
Ken

Relevancy 76.11%

Hi all,

I'm totally new to Windows 8. I would like to know if it is possible to organise this screen:

I would like to make it so that screen just shows a list of my installed programs (rather than including files like README etc.). Is this possible?

Also is it possible to combine the 2 lists into 1? At the moment there is Apps and then another separate list...

Thanks for any help.

Matt

A:Organising apps/installed programs

Hello Matt, and welcome to Eight Forums.

If you like, you can use the method in the tutorial below to remove items that you don't want on your Apps screen.

The Apps screen is not as organizable, but you could use the method in the tutorial below to help some.

Apps Screen - Sort By in Windows 8.1

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/57723-organising-apps-installed-programs.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Couldn't quite come up with a good title to sum up what the issue is Searched around but couldn't 13 installed auto-startup Newly XPS -- program find the relevant topic I have the Dell XPS i non-touch GB RAM GB SSD Win It seems that certain programs that I've installed the most recent one will start up when I boot up the laptop even though I've disabled their start up within options I've checked the Startup folders in the start menu task manager start up regedit both local machine and current user and none have the application inside For example I installed Teamviewer and it always started up during the Windows boot despite startup XPS 13 -- Newly installed program auto-startup being unchecked Then I later installed MacType and the MacType wizard keeps popping up when I boot into Windows now in place of Teamviewer I've installed these on other computers and have never had this issue Renaming the application works but I do need MacType to start up just silently and as a service rather than the Wizard Any ideas XPS 13 -- Newly installed program auto-startup Thanks

A:XPS 13 -- Newly installed program auto-startup

On Teamviewer, according to this page:
Disable TeamViewer From Loading Automatically When Starting Windows | Iowa City Computer Service & Repair

I see this note:
Update: 31 March 2015

Recent versions of TeamViewer may not have the ability to disable it from loading on startup. In such cases, removing the software might be the best solution. Then, install the TeamViewer QS version for occasional use.

For detecting all the automatic starts try AutoRuns

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/68993-xps-13-newly-installed-program-auto-startup.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Couldn't quite come up with a good title to sum up what the issue is Searched around but 13 installed Newly program XPS -- auto-startup couldn't find the relevant topic I have the Dell XPS i non-touch GB RAM GB SSD Win It seems that certain programs that I've installed the most recent one will start up when I boot up the laptop even though I've disabled their start up within options I've checked the Startup folders in the start menu task manager start up regedit both local machine and current user XPS 13 -- Newly installed program auto-startup and XPS 13 -- Newly installed program auto-startup none have the application inside For example I installed Teamviewer and it always started up during the Windows boot despite startup being unchecked Then I later installed MacType and the MacType wizard keeps popping up when I boot into Windows now in place of Teamviewer I've installed these on other computers and have never had this issue Renaming the application works but I do need MacType to start up just silently and as a service rather than the Wizard Any ideas Thanks

A:XPS 13 -- Newly installed program auto-startup

Used AutoRuns to find out that it was an event in Task Scheduler.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/xps-13-newly-installed-program-auto-startup-1021842.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hello All,

After the nightmare update we have all be enjoying, which has reset a lot of my customisation and fonts as well as killing one app, I have also got all my apps showing in my start menu instead of the convenient 'All Apps' button which made my start menu so neat and tidy before.

Anyone have an ideas on how to hide all my apps again? My start menu is ginormous with them all taking up space in the middle there, and everything I need quick access to is there in icon form anyway.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice,
LMX

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/65275-how-return-all-apps-option-start-menu.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I've tried the tutorial Here and it does not work.

I'm trying to add the app 'DotA 2' and have put it in the \programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs and then restarted my PC. It is still not showing up.

A:How can I add programs to the All Apps start menu list?

Same problem here. It just ends up pinning it to the right. :/

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/12802-how-can-i-add-programs-all-apps-start-menu-list.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi guys Long time reader first time poster I've searched the forum as well as I could here to check if anyone else had a similar problem and I even glanced through the first six or seven pages of General Discussion in case someone posted it differently there unfortunately it seems either no one else has noticed this issue or I'm the only one experiencing it I've noticed this on both a clean install of the -bit version and an upgrade from x Vista Ultimate Start running menu/Run Problem apps from in on a separate system It seems every time I launch any application by typing the name in the start bar or through Run Windows seems to redirect to my user folder and that too incorrectly For eg My username on the computer is quot Rohit Kapur quot If I try and Problem in running apps from Start menu/Run open Notepad by typing as much in start Windows responds with this And this is what pops up every time I open any application or even if I try and open a folder without typing the direct path eg Appdata Any ideas Oh also if I DO try and open the quot file quot to see what exactly it's doing it tells me that the file's name is quot C Users Rohit quot I guess it encounters a problem as soon as the space comes in between the username and cuts off there Help would be greatly greatly appreciated

A:Problem in running apps from Start menu/Run

Not sure if I follow you but I just typed "notepad" in the start menu and that's what it opened.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/1921-problem-running-apps-start-menu-run.html
Relevancy 75.68%

On my Start Menu, the All Apps doesn't always include the items I want (I solved that problem) but MS added a bunch of garbage/stuff that I do not want. If I want them, I'll add them myself. I don't need all the clutter.

Examples are Java; Get Office; Calculator; Get Skype, etc. Some aren't even installed. I don't need this stress in my life. I'm a simple man that only runs a few programs.
Any help?

thanks

A:Delete items from the Start Menu / All Apps that you do not want

These are only links, as you yourself state, "not even installed".
If this causes stress either stop using W10 or get some tranquilisers.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/40349-delete-items-start-menu-all-apps-you-do-not-want.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hello !
Apps icons do not appear in Windows 10 start menu also disappear and icons from the taskbar.

It really is annoying. Can you help me ?

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/47026-apps-icons-do-not-appear-windows-10-start-menu.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi guys,

Just got this error and couldn't find anything like this solved.
The icons (or maybe the apps) are missing from the start menu.

Thanks,
Gabriel.

A:Start menu icons/apps missing

If you have one you can try a system restore to a time before this happened. You could also try down loading the ISO from MS and doing a in-place repair install. Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums
To do the in-place repair mount the ISO by double clicking on it. Then look for the install.exe and clicking on it. This will repair Windows 10 without you loosing anything and hopefully fixing your problem.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/40753-start-menu-icons-apps-missing.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Anyone know how to add control panel shortcut to all apps menu? I have a shortcut placed in the start menu folder. its C:\Windows\System32\control.exe but wont show up like al my other items do. I got task manager to work fine but not this.

A:How to add control panel shortcut to all apps menu?

Hello Torrentula, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Control Panel should be on your Apps (All apps) screen by default under "Windows System" like in the screenshot below.

If not, then you can create and add a shortcut to the Control Panel (control.exe) into the hidden folder below to add it to your Apps screen.

C:\Users\(user-name)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\System Tools
In addition, these are some of the other most common ways to open the Control Panel if you like.

Control Panel - Open in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/11880-how-add-control-panel-shortcut-all-apps-menu.html
Relevancy 75.68%

So, I've been trying to add a few things to the app list in the start menu for a while now. Every site I've gone to says to put the shortcuts in "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". I have done that multiple times, checked to make sure the shortcuts were pointed at the correct executable, moved the short cuts up a directory and then back to the Programs folder. I have restarted my machine since then, and I'm not quite sure where I'm going wrong.

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/66649-cannot-add-shortcuts-apps-list-start-menu.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi, my name's Pedro and I'm using Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14332.
I have a laptop Lenovo Yoga 11s, Intel I5 3339Y, 8GB, Intel HD Graphics 4000 (last driver) and 128GB SSD card.

In the last build (14328), after a good install and a normal work short period, the All Apps in Start Menu has disappeared. It doesn't appears in Start Menu anymore since then.
I've installed the new build (14332) hoping that this could be solved, but that doesn't happens. I've changed the video driver but that did not work either.

So I'm asking here if anybody has some information about this that could help me to solve it.

Thanx in advance

A:All Apps doesn't appears in Start Menu

I do not understand your question.

Since 14238, theete is no longer an "all apps" link. All Apps are just shown now.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/48623-all-apps-doesnt-appears-start-menu.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hey,

I just upgraded to Windows 7 from Windows XP and I have run into a snag. I have my hard drive split into 2 partitions. One (the C drive) is for the OS, the other (D drive) is for everything else. I installed Windows 7 on the C drive, and performed a clean install. Everything installed fine, but none of my files populated on the desktop or the Start menu. Both drives are recognized and permit access in my computer and Disk Manager. Some files (movies and music) can be directly accessed from the D drive but all other programs (games, files, internet browsers) state that they must be installed before they can be used. Is there anything I can do or do I have to wipe my D partition and reinstall everything?

A:No previous apps in Start menu or Desktop

Unfortunately, unless you had used the upgrade version of windows 7 to start with and not used the clean install ever, all your programmes, games, whatever ( on "c" ) will be gone and you will need to install them all again ( if they are compatible with windows 7 ), you may have moved the folders of the programmes but there are also registry keys and hidden folders that you would not have been able to export or move to windows 7.

also, now you have overwritten or formatted your hard drive, even if you installed windows xp again.. you will be in the same situation, so the best advice I can give is to carry on to get it all working again.

That is what a 'clean install' is, it removes everything in that hard drive and installs windows onto it

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/40643-no-previous-apps-start-menu-desktop.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Made a clean install format HDD etc with W AU Since then I can not press the Win-button and start typing the name of an app it will just Search apps! does Start on any Menu How to find not fix? find documents and other stuff with Search on Start Menu does not find any apps! How to fix? a matching name not the app itself There are a few apps like Notepad and Powershell that shows up but not apps like Calculator or E-mail or any third party apps for that matter I live in a EU region without Cortana I have realized that I am not the only one with this problem but fixes that work for others does not seem to work for me I have tried Running Powershell command Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft Windows Cortana Foreach Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register quot InstallLocation AppXManifest xml quot which just gives me Deployment failed with HRESULT x D Deleting the reg key HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer FolderTypes ef b cb-f ce- - - ca c e c TopViews - - - - Run the search troubleshooter and rebuilding the index This is so annoying I am very thankful for any ideas what to try next

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/441478-search-start-menu-does-not-find-any-apps-how-fix.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hello All,

After the nightmare update we have all be enjoying, which has reset a lot of my customisation and fonts as well as killing one app, I have also got all my apps showing in my start menu instead of the convenient 'All Apps' button which made my start menu so neat and tidy before.

Anyone have an ideas on how to hide all my apps again? My start menu is ginormous with them all taking up space in the middle there, and everything I need quick access to is there in icon form anyway.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice,
LMX

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/65275-how-return-all-apps-option-start-menu.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Windows 10 Start Menu is Locked.
Cannot Pin or Unpin Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu.
I have also tried this command in Powershell -
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} But my problem was not solved.

I am showing a Video regarding this Issue.
Win 10 Start Menu Problems - YouTube

Please provide a Solution as soon as possible ?

A:Cannot Pin or Unpin Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu.

Run a sfc /scannow.
I won't post the "how-to" because I assume you know the drill.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/46398-cannot-pin-unpin-apps-windows-10-start-menu.html