Windows Support Forum

Windows 7 Updates-Checking and Downloading stuck at 0%

Q: Windows 7 Updates-Checking and Downloading stuck at 0%

This issue started this past Saturday Dec Per Windows Update Posting instructions Downloaded SURT When first tried to download SURT on Saturday it would not download But when tried again yesterday Sun Dec - it was successful However although it said the installation and 0% Windows at 7 Downloading stuck Updates-Checking of was successful and it showed up in Update History it did NOT show up in Installed Updates I tried it twice SFC Scan I read about doing this on other websites as well The first time I ran it it came back with the message that it fixed errors The nd time I ran it the results were no violations and when I ran Windows 7 Updates-Checking and Downloading stuck at 0% it a rd time which the attached CBS log is from it also had no errors Windows Update Error Codes The biggest problem is the check Windows 7 Updates-Checking and Downloading stuck at 0% updates Windows 7 Updates-Checking and Downloading stuck at 0% or the downloading updates just don't go anywhere I did get an error message when I tried to download SURT as mentioned above but I was able to get it downloaded yesterday The other error code I got was when I did a System Restore Point It came back with the xc code and said it didn't restore the system But it must have because the Update information was different and reflected the date of the restore points Plus any changes I had done were gone and reflected the date of the restore points And the other error code was from the Diagnostic Tool from the help feature in Windows I think it was the error that it said it couldn't fix It did list some other issues that it said it fixed but I did not write it down or get a screenshot I could run that tool again if needed to verify Log Collection I was not able to attach the CBS log - I tried times and each time received a server error And then realized it's because of file size Even my zip file is just too big Please advise on how to get the information Start New Thread Hopefully I did that correctly I spent quite a bit of time trying various other things - such as the restore points clean disk and I also did a Checkdisk from the cmd prompt I did foray into a slight addition to the registry from a suggestion from another website but ended up deleting it because I didn't think it fixed anything at all and I don't like messing with the registry I did a system restore point after that I also did the SoftwareDistribution folder thing that is mentioned on many websites but that didn't help either I did try the start and stop services from cmd prompt as well with no change either Currently my workaround is copying the updates from the Update Catalog and installing them one by one manually Obviously that is quite time consuming and as I did get months behind will take awhile to get through them all Plus I am concerned about the order I am doing the oldest first and also worried about making a mistake and or missing some So far I've managed to get installed and have verified they are showing up in Installed Updates I also ran the Fixit and the other diagnostic tool recommended on the MS websites The Fixit tool didn't seem to do anything at all and the other tool returned the error code mentioned above I also called my AV company AVG Internet Security and had them do a disable AV with me over the phone and attempted to download updates There wasn't any change I also disabled the AV again yesterday and there was no difference I have done full computer scans for viruses with no issues reported I greatly appreciate any and all assistance to get this resolved and thank you in advance for your time Regards Hank

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows 7 Updates-Checking and Downloading stuck at 0%

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows 7 Updates-Checking and Downloading stuck at 0%

I went online to try again tonight and it appears that the Updates are working. I don't know how or why but I'm now thinking it was more of an overloaded server than anything else.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/387673-windows-7-updates-checking-downloading-stuck-0-a.html
Relevancy 89.87%

As the title says, I have problems with Windows Update. I tried some fixes like: Reset_Reregister_Windows_Update_Components, Reset_Windows_Update_History, MicrosoftFixit50362 (which is a Microsoft Installer Fixer that couldn't install PowerShell), MicrosoftFixit50202. But what I really need is installing .NET Framework 4. I tried forcing it to install, installing it step by step, but it couldn't go further than .NET Framework 3.5. I need that Framework, the other updates don't really matter. And the interesting thing is that my antivirus doesn't say that Windows is not up-to-date, which is not normal, in ESET Smart Security, if Windows is not up-to-date.
If specs matter:
6 GB RAM
AMD Athlon ll X4 750K
AMD Radeon R7 240 4GB GDDR3
Vista SP2

cbs.txt:
http://www.mediafire.com/view/jsoeje0nxt30g5u/cbs.txt

I don't know how to obtain CheckSUR.log.

A:Windows Update stuck at Checking for Updates and can't install Updates manually

Hi antoniu200:

Many other Vista users have reported that Windows Update seems to get stuck at "Checking for updates..." for long periods of time, and this problem dates back to the August 2015 Patch Tuesday updates - see my screenshots in ScousaJAY's thread windows update just seems to hang while checking in the VistaForums. This month's December 2015 Patch Tuesday updates required a full hour on my machine before it finished the  "Checking for updates..." phase and finally presented a list of available updates, so you might want to try running a manual Windows Update and leaving your computer alone for an hour or so to see if it eventually runs to completion.

You might also want to read Nikilet's recent thread Updates were not configured correctly in that same forum.  Some Vista users, including myself, received an error message this month stating "Updates were not configured correctly. Reverting changes. Please do not turn off your computer" when they tried to install the December 2015 Patch Tuesday updates.  Six updates for the Vista OS and one cumulative update for IE9 were marked as "Failed" on my machine after Windows forced an automatic rollback and re-boot of my machine.  I re-ran Windows Update today and all Important updates that failed yesterday eventually installed successfully ("Checking for updates..." still took about one hour and I declined one Recommended update KB3112148 for Vista and one Optional update KB3106614 for Silverlight today) so the secret might be to install updates in smaller batches instead of trying to install all dozen or so available updates in a single update session.
-------------32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox v42.0 * IE9 * NIS (2014) v21.7.0.11 * MBAM Premium v2.2.0
HP Pavilion dv6835ca, Intel Core2Duo [email protected] GHz, 3 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/598963/windows-update-stuck-at-checking-for-updates-and-cant-install-updates-manually/
Relevancy 88.58%

I installed windows 7 yesterday but windows update is now stuck on checking for updates all the time. Doesn't download or install any updates

That said i looked up and tried a lot of solutions/fixes online but no luck, nothing worked.

Any help is much appreciated. I don't wanna upgrade to windows 10 by the way.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/399633-windows-updates-stuck-checking-updates-hours.html
Relevancy 86.86%

I have a Windows Enterprise x virtual machine that I use as a template in my vSphere environment that I keep up to date with all Windows updates This VM only contains Windows in its disk Last time I was able to fully patch this machine was back in May a few nights ago I tried to update Windows updates and Checking at for Windows 7 Updates stuck updates ... it's stuck at Checking for updates I let it sat there for hours I read several blogs on resetting Windows Updates services stopping BITS and Windows Services then deleting all files in Windows SoftwareDistribution and none of them seem to work I also ran a Windows 7 ... updates stuck at Checking for Updates Windows Update troubleshooting tool that is supposed to Fix problems with Windows Updates - didn't work either as it tries to get updates from the internet Next I decided to create a brand new Windows machine and tried to run Windows Updates nothing still Windows 7 ... updates stuck at Checking for Updates gets hung up at Checking for updates Anyone has any ideas on how to fix Windows Updates so Windows 7 ... updates stuck at Checking for Updates I can get updates It seems that something changed recently that broke it Windows patching seems to work just fine as I've had no issues with my Windows machines Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/fbe997ca-3340-4587-ba5c-a3c573511cdc/windows-7-updates-stuck-at-checking-for-updates?forum=w7itprosecurity
Relevancy 86.86%

I can not get windows to update its always stuck on checking for updates. i have google it and did microsoft fix it and windows update diagnostic? it say it fixed it but when i try update again? it still stuck. im trying not to reinstall windows. because i have a lot of games and movies on my PC. i think it might have some thing to do with that windows 10 up grade. because my pc is a alienware. and alienware says Aurora-R3, its not compatible with the up grade

Relevancy 86.86%

I'm a experienced user amp know my way around the PC both HW amp SW wise However I have come up against a problem amp I have tried everything to fix it to no avail I had to re install Win on my laptop which is a pretty modern one Anyways installed win Ultimate activated without problems So I attempted to check for updates amp nothing happens It is constantly stuck on Checking for updates with the green slider moving as usual I have tried the Microsoft Update fixit tool which told me problems with installing updates fixed then I run again it says Not fixed amp then again fixed I've ran sfc scannow which didn't show any problems amp I checking for Windows on 7 updates stuck don't imagine it would because Windows 7 stuck on checking for updates its a fresh install on a formatted HDD Its a SP edition Windows 7 stuck on checking for updates amp I'm used to a bit of a wait usually for detect all updates but I have formatted re installed amp left the machine to check for updates times now for around hours with it still checking for updates Any suggestions Oh I've stopped the windows update service amp deleted the folder contents of SoftwareDist with no effect Thanks in advance

A:Windows 7 stuck on checking for updates

You are stuck in the forever Windows 7 update mode.
Let me explain.
Every sense W-10 came out Windows 7 Update has become very very slow.
If every thing on you system is correct it could take from 8 hours to 48 hours to download updates. Their will over 200 of them after a Clean Install.

I think a lot of it depends on what Microsoft server is being searched.
Some are very busy and some are less busy.

Some times when your system is still Searching you can reboot and try again.
If your lucky you will get a Microsoft server that is less busy.
The only cure I know of is just patients. Just leave your computer on and wait.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/387491-windows-7-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Hello,

yesterday I made a format of my second PC and I installed Win7 Ultimate x64 again. Now I have a problem with updates. For about 5-6 hours I see only "Checking for updates". Can anybody help me with that?

My 2nd computer is really old
Intel Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66GHz
Gigabyte EP45-DS3R
4GB RAM Kingston
ATI Sapphire HD5850 512MB

All I need is to create DLNA from old computer to watching movies on TV.
Thank you very much

A:Windows 7 stuck on Checking updates

Finally! After a lot of hours I found solution I think.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2700567

I followed Solution #1 and now I'm downloading 233 updates.

Will inform you if everything works fine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/397503-windows-7-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 86%

earlier it was windows 10 updated from windows 7, recently i compolete new install windows 7 after installation i m not able to update this PC. always i am see Checking for updates so many time i restarted and trying to update no use. i even ren software
distribution folder and tried no use. 

Regards, K Suresh

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0ca42601-a340-4d34-9955-ce1bd4c049ea/windows-7-pro-not-able-to-update-stuck-at-checking-for-updates?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 86%

i can't check for any updates windows update always get stuck at and i tried most fixes on the internet like sfc dism , windows fix it tool , troubleshooting windows update. pls help i need to fix this so i can upgrade to windows 10

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/69301-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 86%

Hello So after running Win Windows Checking Forever at for Stuck Updates for a couple of months I decided to downgrade today to Win because my PC stopped working since today morning probably due to corrupt Win sys files I couldn't even get it to repair or Windows Stuck at Checking for Updates Forever reset Anyhow I formatted my SSD and clean installed Windows x today evening and since then it has installed a few updates When I check for updates manually it just goes on checking and checking I downloaded and installed the Windows Update Troubleshooter Tool from https support microsoft com en-us e-issues en-us and ran it and it came up with an error Please check the attached screenshot Can someone kindly advise what this error is about and how do I resolve this I saw many threads here about Windows getting stuck at Windows Stuck at Checking for Updates Forever Checking For Updates but I thought of mentioning the error message here so that I can get some advise from the experts Please help Many thanks UPDATE - I downloaded an ran the MS FixIt utility for update troubleshooting and even that is stuck at Checking for updates online

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/384770-windows-stuck-checking-updates-forever.html
Relevancy 86%

I have tried several solutions to get the updates working but nothing is helping at this point.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

A:Windows 7 new install stuck on checking for updates

You can use this offline updater : WSUS Offline Update
It doesn't solve the problem but at least you can update Windows.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/windows-7-new-install-stuck-on-checking-for-updates.51145/
Relevancy 86%

I recently installed Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. Previous operating system was Windows 10. When I run a Windows Update, it doesn't stop Checking for Updates. I left it for a 24 hour period yesterday, restarted, and then let it go over night again today.

When I was installing the Network Adapter driver, I received this message: Microsoft SNMP Service was not detected. You must install this service for the Advanced Server sub-agent to work properly. Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) is checked when I look at the Windows Features under Turn Windows features on or off in the Control Panel. The driver installation finished and I am able to make network connections. I am not sure if this is related to the Windows Update issue so I though I would mention it.

Thanks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/402045-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 86%

I have a for Update at stuck Checking Windows updates? Toshiba T D-S running Windows Home Premium version SP Build currently on my bench trying to Windows Update stuck at Checking for updates? work out extreme slow-downs for a friend While I have seemed to have solved the slow-down issues when running Windows Update it seems to just spin it's wheels indefinitely while quot Checking for updates quot I am running Windows Update from the system control panel not a browser I tried the steps detailed in this thread Windows Update - Reset running the third batch file as administrator restarting when it's done Did not resolve the issue I also tried running the Windows Diagnostic utility as described in that same thread and it did find and fix several problems but Windows Update still seems to sit checking for updates for hours never completing The HDD activity light does go on and off somewhat furiously during this time I did notice that there are very many failed updates in the update history list before running the BAT or Windows Diagnostic utility Windows Update stuck at Checking for updates? Any ideas How long should I typically let Windows Update run before giving up hope Any help would be appreciated I wasn't sure if it was better to post a new thread for this or post in the thread linked above figured a new thread made more sense Thanks

A:Windows Update stuck at Checking for updates?

> How long should I typically let Windows Update run before giving up hope?
Typically, 20 minutes.
Currently, 20+ hours.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/381529-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 86%

To whomever can help:

I was given a computer for my daughter. It was JUST installed with Windows 7 home Premium sp1 when we got it. When I have tried to check for updates, it gets stuck- even if I leave it for hours & hours, it still continues to "check for updates" (& I have very fast internet). I have ran microsofts windows update troubleshooter, but it still does the same thing. I have ran the things listed in the sticky needed to be done for problems with windows update, with no issues. Please help.

Thank you for your time & assistance.

Dell Vostro A860
Windows 7 Home Premium (clean install) sp1

A:new install Windows 7 sp1 stuck checking updates

Noel is our expert on Windows 7 Updates and he is off line.

Just a note:
I just did a Clean Install yesterday and it took 5 hours to download and install Updates. Their will be over 200 of them.
The bar that goes across the screen lies. I watch my router activity light to see if things are being downloaded.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/379929-new-install-windows-7-sp1-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 86%

I have let the Windows Update running for more than 24 hours and still nothing to show to download the files from Windows Update for my desktop. I did ran through one program trying to fix Windows Update and got one problem. Here is below:

Windows Update error 0x80080005 ( 2016-11-07 - T_12_04_56P ) not fixed.

I am not sure what is that and won't be able to fix this problem.

Any idea to fix this problem so I will be able to run Windows Update.

Thank you,

John

A:Windows Update stuck at checking for updates

Also run Windows Update Troubleshooter as well but stuck at checking for updates online.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/402340-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 86%

Dear all,

my windows update on W10 is checking for updates forever. It seems to have stucked. How can I solve this, please?

Thank you in advance!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/windows-update-stuck-while-checking-for-updates-1045689.html
Relevancy 86%

Terminal has POS7 imaged on it, I know it usually takes 5-6 hours for first round of updates to run, but it has been going for almost 24 hours. I thought there is a package out there somewhere that has the other SPs in it to make the process a lot quicker. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

A:Windows 7 stuck on checking updates after re-image

Go to this site: http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=kb3125574 .  
That has all the updates from SP1 through April 2016.  The 64 bit version is 477 GB, the 32 bit one is 316 GB.

Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616788/windows-7-stuck-on-checking-updates-after-re-image/
Relevancy 86%

hi everybody im having a really tough time trying to get updates for win7 windows update stays stuck on the checking for updates screen non stop without showing any signs of progress at all i have tried numerous fixes like renaming the software distribution and catroot2 folders as well as running batch files that completely reset all windows update components and cleans the update history completely to no avail. I have also tried restore points and have scanned for viruses and nothing comes up nothing seems to be working anyone have an ideas at this point i might have to do another clean reinstall which i really dont wana do

A:windows 7 update stuck at checking for updates

how are you trying to get the updates? if manually, what browser? did you try another browser? also try going into safemode with network and see if you can get the updates

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-update-stuck-at-checking-for-updates-782321.html
Relevancy 86%

this is not fixed by anything i've tried everywhere, i left the computer in question sit for 12+ HRS, and still checking for updates, and it will stay like that for days upon days if i let it, i don't know how to fix it, windows vista home basic sp2, i've even tried microsoft's fixit tool to no avail either, anything that will fix my problem is appreciated minus reinstalling, as i really don't want to.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-update-stuck-at-checking-for-updates.1168530/
Relevancy 86%

I have installed Windows 7 starter on my netbook. Now it's time to update

WU first said it had to update a component and seems it did correctly.

After each boot, WU says "Check for updates for this computer" (I have it set to check but not download them)
Windows Update is stuck at checking for updates, and while that, CPU usage remains at 50% with occasional spikes at 100% by svchost.

No error codes, SFC scannow returns OK, no log files, and no error codes as per the "Windows Update Posting Instructions" thread.
I have defragged, cleaned registry, reset Windows update as per the "Windows Update - Reset" thread, and waited for hours and hours.

I searched and can't get a clue some say to simply wait but I've waited too much.
What else can I do?

Thank you-

A:Windows Update stuck at checking for updates

Hi,
Well you can always close the update window and shut down or restart and see if that shakes it up
Resetting windows updates also removes any wifi or lan drivers that are loaded that I know of pretty much resets everything which there are hundreds of updates to display

You might check but reset also reset updates settings to default which is to download and install so you might double check that if you haven't already.

I've always gotten in a habit to use wired internet connections when checking for or loading updates.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/380021-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Microsoft Windows 8.1 Update stuck checking for updates.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do?

A:Microsoft Windows 8.1 Update stuck checking for updates

Microsoft has released a script to run which resets the Windows Update service by correcting some errors.
This file called WUReset.bat can be downloaded for Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 and also for Windows 7.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...-windows/14b86efd-1420-4916-9832-829125b1e8a3

https://malwaretips.com/threads/microsoft-windows-8-1-update-stuck-checking-for-updates.63800/
Relevancy 85.14%

nbsp nbsp Quote Originally Posted by sleepless nbsp nbsp Quote Originally windows update updates... for 7 at stuck "checking Posted by Mayank Parmar is the computer booting in Safe Mode if Yes then run a disk cleanup seems to be working after a run in safe mode thanks all for your time I know this is an old thread but what exactly did you do in safe mode I have the exact same problem I tried to boot in safe mode Tried opening Windows Update but nothing at all happened it would not open I seem to have found info saying that Windows Update cannot open in safe mode Anyway nothing new windows 7 update stuck at "checking for updates... when I rebooted again and tried to check for updates in Windows Update again It just keeps checking and checking and checking for hours I've also tried the Microsoft Fix It tool but what happens there is that it says quot Checking for updates on the Internet quot and is stuck there So basically the same thing as in Windows Update Btw I have just done a clean install of Windows Professional x SP on this computer so this is the first time I run Windows Update after that meaning no updates have ever been installed I am not tech savvy at all so now I'm clueless

A:windows 7 update stuck at "checking for updates...

Please follow the Windows Update Posting Instructions and post the requested data

If the file is too large (8MB compressed), remove the older CBSPersist cab files until the final file is below the limit - you can always post them separately after zipping them. (the forum doesn't allow the upload of bare CAB files, for a number of reasons)

Please also post the C:\Windows\windowsudpate.log file

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/379117-windows-7-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Same issue here. Fresh install of Win 7 Pro x64 w/SP1 in a VM. Also tried installing Win 7 Pro x64 and manually adding SP1 ( from .iso )-- after SP1 is added, Windows update just runs and runs and never finishes. Been running for the past 4 hours.

Installs earlier this year did not have this issue. Wondering if since the Windows 10 rollout started maybe something changed on MS update servers?

This tutorial needs to be completed.

Windows Update Posting Instructions

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/379119-windows-7-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum to post this?

But I need help.  When I go to Windows Update and click "Check for updates", my laptop just gets stuck there on "Checking for updates...".  I gave it about 6 hours and it never changed.  

This is for an older laptop that I don't use anymore.  I just turn it on every couple months to try to keep it updated.  It runs Windows 7 Home Premium.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

A:laptop stuck on "Checking for updates..." during Windows Update

Please answer to these two questions,
When current Windows 7 was installed, and whether SP1 is installed.
When did you last got an upgrade? Was it ever updated after installed.
I had similar problem couple days ago that's why I ask.  Now it is solved. So, maybe is the same problem.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628954/laptop-stuck-on-checking-for-updates-during-windows-update/
Relevancy 85.14%

I recently purchased a new Samsung 850 PRO SSD. I did a clean install using the recovery partition from my HP DV7 HDD and then cloned to the SSD.

The very fist thing I did was Windows Update and it just has the window that says "Checking for Updates Online..." with the bar constantly going.

I managed to download and install the SURT (KB947821) and that is the only update listed as installed under the Windows Update history.

SFC Scan passes with no issues.

On the Windows Update screen, no error codes appear. Just says "Never Checked."

Error code that I have come across in my CBS log file (multiple instances):
HRESULT = 0x800f0805 - CBS_E_INVALID_PACKAGE

CBS.zip attached

A:Windows Update Issues / Stuck at Checking for Updates

Did you try searching for the topic? Many recent posts about the issue including several that provide tips as to how to get it to work better.

edit: Here is one that was just below yours. It may link to some of the potential solutions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/397696-windows-update-issues-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi i'm having a hard time with Windows Update When i check for for updates it gets stuck and even at for Update stuck "Checking updates' Windows if i dont check for updates the Windows Update service starts anyway In both cases it is accompanied by high CPU usage as shown here List of things Windows Update stuck at "Checking for updates' i did Anti-virus scan nothing Windows Update Troubleshooter didnt fix it Check Disk for Errors no problems were detected I eventually tried Resetting Windows Update Componets Manually following step using the proccess described here https support microsoft com en-us kb I ran into trouble Reregistering files step Many dlls were NOT successful such as regsvr exe shdocvw dll pop-up message said something along the lines of quot Connected but failed to register check if dll is vaild and try again later'' and some more which i cant remember That said i completed all steps because i didnt know what else to do The results were the same as before apart from having my Update history whiped and new folders in Windows don't know if i need the two them in each file No solution to this has been found yet Please help

A:Windows Update stuck at "Checking for updates'

This is a common problem now with many many people that started here over a year ago and has gotten progressively worse. There are threads on various forums (Wilders, DSLR) about it and so on. It took 4 hours and 15 minutes of "checking for updates" on my Win 7 system yesterday, but eventually they did show up and I then had no trouble installing them. All I can suggest is patience, just let it run until it shows the list. I hope MS will fix this issue at some point, because a lot of people are getting very very frustrated with all this. And yes, the entire time mine was checking, the cpu usage was at a constant 50% more or less. However, I was still able to use the machine during this time, so not too much of a hardship. This issue needs fixing though, for sure!

PS: Various people have posted various temporary fixes, but nothing sticks. The next month the same problem occurs on the next update check. So at this time, there is no real solution. Don't bother looking for one, in other words...

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/394744-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 85.14%

Same issue as josefine. Recent clean install. Got some updates done, including service pack 1, then Windows Update updated, and now I'm stuck. No earlier version of Windows Update detected, so I can't roll back, tried the above fixes (including Windows Fix It, which wasn't able to install properly), and in Safe Mode with networking, Windows Update won't run at all

Here's my log file

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/379118-windows-7-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 84.28%

I had to do a clean install for a user of mine and I cannot get Windows Updates to install. I've ran the torubleshooter, stopped the wuauserv service and renamed the softeware distribution folder, restarted the BITS service but it's just hung on that screen
When I check the WindowsUpdate.log I have many line like the one below for many KB's:
DtaStor WARNING: Attempted to add URL http://download.windowsupdate.com/d/msdownload/update/software/secu/2016/04/windows6.1-kb3145739-x64_b9ae7ee29555dce4d1a225fd1324176a2538178a.msu for file ua5+4pVV3OTRoiX9EyQXaiU4F4o=
when file has not been previously added to the datastore

how can I get this fixed?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e8592be4-ae22-45b7-ac59-f18cb6edea33/fresh-windows-7-install-stuck-at-checking-for-updates-for-hours?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 83.42%

I have been attempting to install Windows Updates as well as the Windows 10 upgrade over the last few days but each time the Update gets stuck at "Checking for updates". I haven't seen any error codes however it was stuck at this status for 8+ hours today. I have attempted to install updates via the standalone installer as well and that gets stuck at "Searching for updates on this computer".

Link for CBS .zip file. --> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/19966449/CBS.zip

Thanks in advance for your help.

A:Windows Update Stuck at Checking For Updates - Missing Manifest Files

Am getting the same and mine is for a fresh installation of 7 as I had a problem with mine so have nothing installed yet apart from the IE11 upgrade.
Someone mentioned in another forum that there are some fixes (in the shape of some KB to install first) but I don't seem to be able to find them.
Will do more research.
Could be the servers are having problems of course..

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/397942-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates-missing-manifest-files.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Basically my old HDD died from bad sectors and I had to format and install Windows Enterprise on a back up hdd that was flooded and stuck on install) fresh clean checking updates Update (on Windows with useless documents from the past Went ahead done what I had to Windows Update stuck on checking updates (on fresh and clean install) do Windows Update stuck on checking updates (on fresh and clean install) and left Windows to check for updates Steam install some games and League of Legends update However everything finished but Windows was still checking for updates and I noticed the svchost exe netsvcs one uses about GB out of RAM Immediately knew that this was caused by the Windows Update service that's under it However turning Windows Update off is never a smart thing to do and I don't have the kind of time to manually download updates I know that it will probably blast me with updates has happened in the past but never used up so much RAM and finished way faster than hours with all my usual post installation stuff Anyways some info you should probably know -I'm using a Wireless adapter TP-LINK TL-WN N and I have read threads here that Windows Update would sometimes fail to do what it should with Wireless adapters unfortunatelly that isn't an option at the moment -Resetting Windows Update manually and through Fix It doesn't work So first thing I'm looking at is updating the Windows Update client please do tell if you think otherwise or if not link me to the newest Windows update client or probbably any hotfixes that could fix the problem never done this before and wouldn't want to mess up so I decided to ask you guys Another short question I have Does editing the group policy to stop Windows Update from auto restarting after updates still work as before I have not done this yet on this computer yet just want to know

A:Windows Update stuck on checking updates (on fresh and clean install)

Hi Qualtrox,
might be due to fact that Enterprise and Ultimate, are different versions.
If you using the Ultimate key on an Enterprise install, or visa versa, then it will hang as its failing validation.
We can check if you run this too, copy/paste the output
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=52012

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/398302-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates-fresh-clean-install.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Note : This thread is not Windows 7 only, but for newer and older Windows versions

Guys, I'm really get annoyed about this. Is really Microsoft didn't have a solution that doesn't requires users to do complicated steps?

The problem is, when I want to update the Windows using Windows Update, the CPU usage kicks to full usage by svchost.exe

I have 2 laptop victims here :

Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E135 (Windows 7 Home Basic, not updated for 2 years) : Takes about 6 hours to show 120+ updates

Sony VAIO VGN-CR220Q (Windows Vista Home Premium, fresh install) : Takes about 4 hours and still stuck now

Sony VAIO VGN-CR220Q (Windows 8.1 Pro, fresh install) : Takes about some hours to show 50+ updates

Why the Windows takes so much time to just shows... a hundred updates? It is not thousand updates o_O

Well I know the CPU is so slow, but can't Microsoft optimized the process? I mean what are Windows doing? Why it takes so much time?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0e217a8c-8183-4f1e-9c38-d9840d524330/everytime-i-want-to-update-the-late-windows-it-takes-so-much-time-stuck-at-checking-for-updates?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 81.27%

Just a few hours ago I installed a fresh W7 SP1 x64 and I looked at Win Update, it just keeps searching and searching for hours, and nothing happens.

A:Windows 7 SP1 Windows Update stuck checking for updates

did you turn it off and reboot and try again

Originally Posted by Steffan

Just a few hours ago I installed a fresh W7 SP1 x64 and I looked at Win Update, it just keeps searching and searching for hours, and nothing happens.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/65377-windows-7-sp1-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 81.27%

like in the last post i made i made a video since its easy on me then typing.

Windows 7 Bootcamp. Updates stuck - Video Dailymotion

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/397432-windows-7-updates-stuck-checking-updates-bootcamp.html
Relevancy 80.84%

This has never happened before but I can't download the latest batch of updates! I've tried downloading one at a time but it makes no difference, just stuck on downloading 0%. I've tried to go into services.msc to switch off windows updates but it says 'stopping' with the options to stop/re-start greyed out.

I've tried the windows trouble shooter which detects problems and then says resolving but again after 20 minutes or so it still says the same thing. Does it take a long time (perhaps I'm being impatient)?

I've run out of time tonight but will try the windows update system readiness tool tomorrow.

In the meantime, does anyone have ideas I could try? As I say, I've never had problems downloading updates before.

LevelBest

A:Latest windows updates stuck on downloading at 0%

You mean, it's searching for updates, takes a while, finds the updates, but when you select to install, it takes forever to download?

If that's the case, how long did you wait for it to start downloading before cancelling?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/397423-latest-windows-updates-stuck-downloading-0-a.html
Relevancy 79.98%

please help with specify;thanks;Everytime I start windows update it won't download the updates. The bar keeps on running but nothing downloads and the percentage stays at 0%.
Whats wrong? Anything I can do to fix this?

A:Windows update will not download updates - stuck at 0% downloading

Hi shawn What version of Windows are you using?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/618661/windows-update-will-not-download-updates-stuck-at-0-downloading/
Relevancy 79.98%

During a busy period, aware that Windows 10 can install itself by a sneaky update and being too busy to check each update that comes my way, I had disabled Windows Update. Only now did I remember to check for updates. I know, dumb.
There are 80 important updates that need to be installed. They all seem okay.

However, they've been downloading for over 90 minutes now, and the progress bar is still stuck at 0%. "Downloading 80 Updates (0 KB Total, 0% Complete)".

I thought these updates might solve my "slow PC issue" (referred to in my other thread), but the inability to download updates, makes me think there might be something seriously wrong with my computer.

Can it still be just a visual issue if nothing has happened after waiting for 90 minutes?
Thanks in advance,
Katarn1
This has been posted twice (?) I don't know how that has happened. Sorry. If you can tell me how to delete it, I will.

A:Downloading Windows Updates, Stuck at 0%; or a False Alarm (?)

You can Shut Down your computer and install updates.
Or you can download the Windows 7 Update Convenience rollup. Microsoft Update Catalog
As for your Slow computer, you did not paste a link to your other post, and your post history does not show anything about a slow computer.
Click on the link in my signature for PC Running Slow? and try those things.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/downloading-windows-updates-stuck-at-0-or-a-false-alarm-1123762.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Yesterday when I started downloading windows update, only one update could be downloaded i. KB3114431. After that may be there was some sort of problem on the network and I could not download the other updates as my network was down at that time. so I disconnected from network and cancelled the downloads and shut down the computer. It normally installed the downloaded update. after that from today morning I am unable to download any updates. The network is fine, as I can browse the internet normally. But windows update screen keeps stuck at 0%. Though now the shut down button shows the alert icon for update installation as you can see in screenshot. Is there any way to fix it? Thank you.

A:Windows update stuck at downloading updates screen

The problem has been resolved automatically. Thank you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/599869/windows-update-stuck-at-downloading-updates-screen/
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi is checking updates 7 Windows 32-bit at for Windows Stuck guys So this is work related We have computer in a lab that are not on our Domain They're probably years old it's mainly used for training so ppl use VMs on it Every month we do updates so Windows adobe flash reader and java In the settings it was set at Install updates automatically Stuck at Windows is checking for updates Windows 7 32-bit I decided to change them all to Never check for updates and did the same for flash reader and java I thought I was doing these machines a favor Well when the next month came for updates things fell apart The machines were stuck on checking for updates for a whole week I restarted the Windows update service and set it back Stuck at Windows is checking for updates Windows 7 32-bit to automatic and still nothing I found a Microsoft fix it that ran some repairs and it found errors on most of the machines and fixed them all said registry fixes other said updates taking too long can't remember the third I rebooted and tried again and no luck Fortunately we got computers working however the other are still searching for updates it is now week I've searched forums and can't figure out wth is going on how can me changing that settings screw things up My co worker had been doing this for years with no problems then I come along and screw everything up I feel like crap She has decided if nothing happens by tomorrow we will be re imaging them all ugh Any ideas of what could've gone wrong

A:Stuck at Windows is checking for updates Windows 7 32-bit

I'd say just reimage them all anyway.

Why aren't they on the domain? IMO all machines should be - at least on a separate VLAN to keep them separated if they're training systems or something. If they're just running VM's....why not just switch to VDI's / zero-clients and just have rows of monitors/mice/keyboards hooked up to the zero clients and have all the training systems use VDI's? Easier to manage, I'd think.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/stuck-windows-checking-updates-windows-7-32-bit-277567/
Relevancy 78.26%

I had to take my desk top back to factory specs, win 7. Went to win 10 upgrade page and ran update. Started down load then computer went to check for updates. It appears as if it is stuck there. Has been checking for updates 2 hours now. Am going to bed and letting it run. Will check back in morning. Any one have that problem. The desk top was upgraqded and running Win 10 before I had to take it back to factory specs.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/44637-stuck-checking-fo-updates.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I had to take my desk top back to factory specs, win 7. Went to win 10 upgrade page and ran update. Started down load then computer went to check for updates. It appears as if it is stuck there. Has been checking for updates 2 hours now. Am going to bed and letting it run. Will check back in morning. Any one have that problem. The desk top was upgraqded and running Win 10 before I had to take it back to factory specs.

A:stuck in checking fo updates

Many people have had the problem. Letting it run overnight will probably allow it to finally complete.

Check Google: windows 7 checking for updates

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/44637-stuck-checking-fo-updates.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hi All,

I reinstalled my factory W7 Home Premium x64 on a new ssd before upgrading to 10.

Once I got up and going, fully activated windows 7.

Both W7 (updates) and W10 installer get stuck "checking for updates".

Neither W7 or W10 will get any updates.

Any thoughts?

A:Stuck Checking For Updates

Welcome to Tenforums HiddenTalent.

Win7 is checking for updates and W10 installer is checking for updates? That doesn't sound possible, if Win7 is installed and activated you can upgrade to W10, it should install/upgrade via windows update, or with USB/cd upgrade install. Win7 would no longer be running, or available to run.

You don't have to check the "check for updates" box when W10 is installing. I waited until it was installed, then W10 checked for updates, sometimes W10 takes much longer than it feels like it should take, be patient.
Try one thing at a time, you can't check for updates on Win7 and install/upgrade to W10 at the same time if you're using the Win7 install as a qualifying OS for upgrade to W10.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/40852-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 78.26%

My dad's computer is a Dell Inspiron E1505, it's been stuck at checking for updates for about 2 hours. I did the bat files listed on the tutorials page but no luck. I installed a tool called Readiness tool by Microsoft, and it got stuck on the installing part, I ran it for an hour. My dad's computer is a Windows 7 Ultimate x32 bit, help?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/394714-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 78.26%

nothing has worked for me so far, when i run fix-it tool i get this error:

This is a fresh install of win 7, SSD drive is healthy, ran disk cleanup, still persists!

Any help will be appreciated as i've run out of ideas.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/382332-still-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 78.26%

I recently had to do a full recovery of my system with Acronis TrueImage, which went fine. Everything seems to be working except Windows Update. I seem to be stuck on Checking for Updates screen. The green bar keeps rolling and no updates are shown. Any ideas on how I can fix this problem?

A:Stuck on checking for updates

Mine's been doing this since yesterday too. Either taking a very long time or just the green bar keeps going. Dunno what's up.

I'll also note that if I start it and let it go for awhile, restarting the system takes a really long time. I'm not sure what it's doing. My desktop is working fine, only the laptop is acting up.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/20321-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 78.26%

A:stuck in checking for updates

Many people have had the problem. Letting it run overnight will probably allow it to finally complete.

Check Google: windows 7 checking for updates

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/44637-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hi All,

I reinstalled my factory W7 Home Premium x64 on a new ssd before upgrading to 10.

Once I got up and going, fully activated windows 7.

Both W7 (updates) and W10 installer get stuck "checking for updates".

Neither W7 or W10 will get any updates.

Any thoughts?

A:Stuck Checking For Updates

Welcome to Tenforums HiddenTalent.

Win7 is checking for updates and W10 installer is checking for updates? That doesn't sound possible, if Win7 is installed and activated you can upgrade to W10, it should install/upgrade via windows update, or with USB/cd upgrade install. Win7 would no longer be running, or available to run.

You don't have to check the "check for updates" box when W10 is installing. I waited until it was installed, then W10 checked for updates, sometimes W10 takes much longer than it feels like it should take, be patient.
Try one thing at a time, you can't check for updates on Win7 and install/upgrade to W10 at the same time if you're using the Win7 install as a qualifying OS for upgrade to W10.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/40852-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Like many other users I'm currently experiencing the issue of Windows Update being stuck while in the Checking for updates phase I last successfully installed updates for updates... Stuck Checking forever on thanks to a third party tool that does such things although I would like to get Windows Updates working again I do have SP installed I've tried many different versions of the Stuck forever on Checking for updates... Windows Update Reset dance deleting SoftwareDistribution catroot I've tried running the System Update Readiness Tool I've tried running SFC which only finds d d libraries Stuck forever on Checking for updates... as corrupt makes sense because Virtualbox overwrites them I've also tried running Tweaking com's Windows Repair tool the official MS Windows Update repair tool and the NET Repair tool because why not No luck anywhere Since the update process gets hung up while Checking for updates there do not appear to be any error codes to report I've tried searching the System event log and the WindowsUpdate log without any success svchost exe will consume a full thread's worth of Stuck forever on Checking for updates... processing time which indicates to me that the update search has stopped The last line in the WindowsUpdate log file to be found before the update search stops is this Code - - a PT ServiceId F -A - - - A D EFE D Server URL https fe update microsoft com v ClientWebService client asmx Please see the attached WindowsUpdate log file for a full view of the update process from when I start the wuauserv service to when I eventually kill it Stopping the service apparently causes it to issue an x B error Please also find attached my CBS log folder as requested in the posting guidelines Thank you

A:Stuck forever on Checking for updates...

Hi and Welcome.

I have found lately, with Windows 7 on multiple systems, that I needed to let it search for updates over night. I would then get a large number to install and after that, Update seemed to return to a somewhat normal response. The downloading also takes a long time to even start. This is obviously not an ideal situation and I really don't know what has caused this. Good luck.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/394788-stuck-forever-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Whenever I click check for updates for the first time it just gets stuck on checking for updates for ages is there anyway of fixing this thanks

A:Stuck forever on Checking for updates...

Hi,
Yes
Some preparations if doing a clean install will help a lot if that is what you're doing,
It's a lot easier to clean install these days with the unofficial sp2
There are essentially 3 updates needed for a clean install of windows that will get you updated through April of 2016

KB3020369 & KB3125574 & KB3172605 all can be downloaded from the M$ catalog using internet explorer
Microsoft Update Catalog

Simplifying updates for Windows 7 and 8.1
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/...ows-7-and-8-1/
When manually installing updates you need to switch your update settings to Never check for updates and restart the machine first.

After restart you will need to ensure the built in windows update service is stopped and set to manual first too or it will conflict with the stand alone installer.

Afterwards reset the windows updates service to what it was before and update settings to your preference and check for updates
Should be only 50 or so updates left to install.

I have all three updates needed on my OneDrive too if you can't or don't want to deal with the catalog
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AsjD7o6P3KLKj2TjShn8-SumV1rr

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/400846-stuck-forever-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hi,
I'm at my wits end.
I've recently installed Windows 7 Home Premium.
The problem is trying to install updates.
Basically its stuck at checking.
I've had numerous phone calls with Microsoft who went through their troubleshooting steps to eventually come up with...no resolution. Apart from the offer of starting a paid subscription so I could receive help from a 'senior technician'. Family budgets curtailed that particular route.
Prior to this I'd scoured the internet for help with the problem and come across various solutions that didn't help or were to technically detailed for my modest 'skills'.
I've also tried WSUSOffline, which seemed to be going in the right direction until my anti-virus software went into overdrive insisting I remove the accumulation of Trojans that were manifesting. Any help would be much appreciated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/394787-overcoming-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hi

Just reformatted my HD and reinstalled W7 64bit. Doing all the updates from the Windows Update tool and after installing about 40 updates and SP1 and trying for the next load of updates it is just stuck on checking for updates.

I haven't any AV installed yet and have tried a few things in the last hour such as running Microsofts own tool and a couple of reg fixes and nothing.

Can anyone advie what i can do?

Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/stuck-on-checking-for-updates-after-installing-sp1-1053994.html
Relevancy 77.4%

I think the "updates freezing" issue has come up in another thread and apologies if it has, but I can't find it momentarily.

The screen shots show what I've been looking at for two days now. Obviously something is amiss with Automatic Update but I dunno what, or what to do about it.

Any advice, help????

Mods, please feel free to move me to the other thread I suspect exists.

Cheers

ausgumbie

A:Windows Updates - Stuck on "Downloading updates 37%" for 2 days!

G'day mate!

Have a look here.

Windows Update stuck downloading updates in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/18005-windows-updates-stuck-downloading-updates-37-2-days.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I've gone Windows in Updates" Stuck Update Cycle Perpetual for "Checking through several threads relating to this issue with zero luck so far nbsp Have had this installation of Win x for over a Windows Update Stuck in Perpetual "Checking for Updates" Cycle year with no WU issues nbsp Hadn't updated in Windows Update Stuck in Perpetual "Checking for Updates" Cycle a few weeks so I went to do a manual check today nbsp The netsvcs process w WU locks one of my cores CPU use nbsp Initially Windows Update Stuck in Perpetual "Checking for Updates" Cycle this process accesses a variety of files on the drive but after a few minutes there is absolutely zero further file access from this process nbsp Process never shuts down or releases that CPU I've run the Windows Update Troubleshooter nbsp Had problems the first time rebooted stopped the crypt BITS and WU process nbsp Ran it again it quot fixed quot four issues and claimed that everything was swell nbsp Rebooted ran WU perpetual quot checking quot Walked through the manual process from https support microsoft com en-us kb though I did get a number of errors when trying to register many of the modules in step six nbsp So didn't have much confidence nbsp Anyway continued through the steps rebooted ran WU nbsp No dice Manually downloaded and ran the two updates from https support microsoft com en-us kb and https support microsoft com en-us kb nbsp Both told me they were already installed At this point I'm looking at a complete wipe and reinstall which I'd really rather avoid nbsp Any other bright ideas to resolve this nbsp WU log at https www dropbox com s mt kb qtrjfc WindowsUpdate log dl Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/195eaaa2-eb0a-42d4-aa40-8023d49560a7/windows-update-stuck-in-perpetual-quotchecking-for-updatesquot-cycle?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi I installed win recently and activated it The updates dont seem to install automatically I have tried many FixIt and manuall installation past to days but nothing worked The maximum I could go was getting quot updates available quot alert Even if I select one update out of those it just loops forever in checking searching for updates I installed Win hoping that would resolve it but coudnt activate win due to clean install So I have now reinstalled win but again stuck in same place I tried installing System Update readiness tool and its running for around hours now But the CBS log file's stuck updates" Update forever Windows for in "Checking last update timestamp seems to have stopped an hour before I checked the posting instructions and it says wait for few hours after running SRUT before posting I see a dialog box with title quot Windows Update standalone installer quot and message quot Searching for updates on this computer quot Attached CBS folder Please advise Regards Shah

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/383711-windows-update-stuck-forever-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi
I've been trying to set up a few second hand laptops for a charity youth club. One went without a hitch, one won't update Windows at all.

It's running Windows 7 SP1, I've tried various fixes but nothing seems to be working.

I've followed the instructions on the post. Attached is my CBS log zip file. I don't have any error codes as it just sits on "Checking for Updates".

Interestingly the first time I ran the SURT it just sat for over 8 hours on "Checking for Updates" as well. Second time, after a power down & reboot it did it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. This was meant to be a quick favour & now turning into a long job!

Thanks

Nick

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/401970-windows-update-reset-but-still-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi Guys... the below fix worked perfectly on my Home Premium machine... my Win Professional wasn't originally affected...

Stop the Windows Update Service (wuauserv).
Download and install KB3050265 reboot Download and install KB3102810

However, this week, my Win Professional machine suddenly got stuck on Checking for Updates in another endless loop. I tried the above fix again, no luck.

Any advise would be appreciated..

Again, thanks!

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/401585-stuck-checking-updates-second-machine-fix-not-working.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I work for an IT firm in The Bahamas and as a result do a lot of Windows reloads nbsp However I have noticed that recently within the last year Windows has a very difficult time updating after a fresh reload with SP nbsp When I check for updates it starts scanning and says quot Checking for Updates quot but never finds any nbsp It just keeps checking nbsp I've left it running for hours without ever finding a single update Here's the thing it isn't a particular computer nbsp As I said I do a lot of reloads for Stuck "Checking Update at updates" Windows nbsp This happens Windows Update Stuck at "Checking for updates" on almost every computer after a reload of Windows regardless of brand nbsp Sometimes I scan before activating Windows sometimes after nbsp There is no antivirus installed and I've tried it with Windows Firewall both enabled and disabled nbsp Sometimes after scanning for a long time it will automatically install updates without having me select any of the updates nbsp It still says quot Checking for Updates quot Other times it just never finds or installs any updates but it still says quot Checking for Updates quot nbsp I'm not the only one who has recognized the problems my colleagues have also experienced it nbsp I've also tried updating on many different networks home work customers network etc nbsp Same result I have done lots of research online to see if other people have been having this issue but I have not found anything nbsp Has anybody else been experiencing this problem nbsp Is Microsoft having an issue with Windows update or are they intentionally trying to discourage the use of Windows nbsp I'm not sure how it has been such a big problem for my colleagues and I in the last year but no one seems to know anything about it

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3b0c65d7-c93f-4208-a2dd-dcbb19f2f9c4/windows-update-stuck-at-quotchecking-for-updatesquot?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 76.11%

When I use Windows 8.1 to look for windows updates, it keeps looking for ages and nothing loads. Please help.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/75858-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi everybody I am running in to a problem where the Windows Update is stuck on checking for updates now I have freshly upgraded a Windows machine from Enterprise to Professional with a new product key - which it did work activated as a Genuine But it might not be just the Windows Update any other software would be doing Update "Checking for on stuck Windows updates" the same thing as for Windows Update - checking for updates so I am just wondering if there is a one way click to solve this problem Everything else works except from the Windows Update what is doing is just checking for updates and it hangs on checking for hours and hours - so I had enough and I want to find a best solution that would work Now I am not quite sure if the Windows Update is taking time to get all the updates gathered in or it might be stuck But I don't know I can't really tell on what the computer is doing in the background Windows Update stuck on "Checking for updates" process During the research for finding this solution and I have came up with different solutions but I don't want to risk too much on registry or doing manual servicing including in with deleting a few files from the C drive downloading a few tweakers fixers applications such as Microsoft FixIt - but none of this solved the problem apart from being patient and wait The only thing I haven't done is doing a sfc scannow check disk clean up or reinstall Windows Professional and doing a disk check before startup I just want the Windows Update to work so that the computer is ready to receive updates before June and it can be ready to process and upgrade to Windows if possible This picture below shows the same problem to what is happening right now Thank you for reading Best Regards Ben

A:Windows Update stuck on "Checking for updates"

Mines doing this too tonight. Can take a while but tonight's patches is the worst - it took over an hour to find and pull them in. But now it's just stuck on 0% downloading for last twenty mins. Good old MS !

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/392826-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Already tried everything I read on a lot of threads here. The Windows Update is stuck at the "green bar"

I'm using Windows 8.1

1) Already used the Microsoft Fixit from this KB topic: How do I reset Windows Update components?
2) Tried all the fixes I could use from this page: https://www.winhelp.us/reinstall-windows-update.html
3) Tried "sfc /scannow"
4) Tried "Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth"

Still nothing, the green bar keep going for more than 4/5 hours

Is there anything left to do? Or just re-install? Uninstall/Install windows again?

A:Windows Update stuck at "Checking for Updates"

Temporarily disable your antivirus program if it helps.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/62521-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 76.11%

hi, windows 7 never seems to complete the update check. it just stays stuck at "checking for updates...". it will stay like this for days. most recent check for updates is listed as 7/9/2014 (almost 3 months ago). i tried the fix and the reset listed here:

windows 7 update stuck at checking for updates - Tech Support Forum

nothing has worked so far, please help.

A:windows 7 update stuck at "checking for updates..."

See if there are any methods in this Tutorial you haven't tried: Windows Update - Reset

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/347490-windows-7-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi,
Current issue: Windows 7 sp1 update stuck at "checking for updates" for more than a week
My computer: windows 7 professional sp1 installation originally
Last automatic checked and updated successfully: May 11, 2015
CCleaner cleaned up: once every week
Anti-virus: AVG for more than 10 years

Self - troubleshooting done so far but did not work:
1) CCleaner cleaned up & Disk cleanup under safe mode
2) Reset Update following this instruction: Windows Update - Reset
3) Temporarily turned off AVG anti-virus while checking for update
4) System restored to the earliest restore point: July 15, 2015

Please help.

A:windows 7 sp1 update stuck at "checking for updates"

This is currently a common issue - partly caused by a poor update from MS which slows the process down, and partly caused by throttling of the MS servers.

Simply leave WU to do it's thing overnight - or longer if necessary - it will get there in the end.
If it's still not completed a scan after 24 hours running...
Please follow the Windows Update Posting Instructions and post the requested data

If the file is too large (8MB compressed), remove the older CBSPersist cab files until the final file is below the limit - you can always post them separately after zipping them. (the forum doesn't allow the upload of bare CAB files, for a number of reasons)

Please also post the C:\Windows\windowsudpate.log file

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/381224-windows-7-sp1-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 76.11%

When I click to search updates, it stays stuck at the screen "Checking for updates...". I left there for 20 hours and it is still stuck.
My computer is having other problems too. sfc /scannow doesn't works (Windows resource protection could not start the repair service)
My computer isn't shutting down. It stays on this screen: Screenshot by Lightshot
Recently my computer failed on updating windows and I couldn't initialize my machine. So I entered in secure mode and typed this command on cmd: Dism /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions. But the problems were happening before I did this.

*Sorry for bad english

A:Windows stuck at "Checking for updates" and other problems

Hi Gabriel,

been using slmgr /rearm, by any chance.

Looking back over your earlier posts, Axe0 was wrong, your install was/is non-genuine.

If you have purchased yet another key, run this tool copy/paste the output

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/398127-windows-stuck-checking-updates-other-problems.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I recently re-installed Windows Home Premium on my Alienware X after getting a lot of random freezes After the installation completed I noticed that Windows Update was getting stuck at quot Checking for updates quot for at "Checking stuck Windows Update updates..." and would not move forward even after I Windows Update stuck at "Checking for updates..." left the computer Windows Update stuck at "Checking for updates..." on overnight I was ultimately able to get Windows Update to function by updating the Windows Update Client as described here https blog krissmilne tech Windows Update stuck at "Checking for updates..." windows ng-for-updates However that only worked once Windows Update is now getting stuck at stuck at quot Checking for updates quot again The last few entries from WindowsUpdate log are as follows Code - - cc PT PT Synchronizing server updates - - cc PT ServiceId F -A - - - A D EFE D Server URL https fe update microsoft com v ClientWebService client asmx - - db AU No pending client directive - - cc Driver Matched driver to device PCI VEN amp DEV amp SUBSYS amp REV - - cc Driver Status x a ProblemNumber - - c AU Getting featured update notifications fIncludeDismissed true - - c AU No featured updates available - - c AU Triggering AU detection through DetectNow API - - c AU Piggybacking on an AU detection already in progress - - cc Agent WARNING Failed to evaluate Installed rule updateId A D - E D- D E-AA E- A EDC hr - - cc Agent WARNING Failed to evaluate Installed rule updateId AF- - C -BD E- AD D hr - - cc Misc Validating signature for C Windows SoftwareDistribution WuRedir F -A - - - A D EFE D wuredir cab with dwProvFlags x - - cc Misc Microsoft signed NA - - cc Misc Validating signature for C Windows SoftwareDistribution WuRedir F -A - - - A D EFE D TMPDE tmp with dwProvFlags x - - cc Misc Microsoft signed NA - - cc Misc Validating signature for C Windows SoftwareDistribution WuRedir F -A - - - A D EFE D v -muredir cab with dwProvFlags x - - cc Misc Microsoft signed NA - - cc Misc Validating signature for C Windows SoftwareDistribution WuRedir F -A - - - A D EFE D v -muredir cab with dwProvFlags x - - cc Misc Microsoft signed NA - - cc Misc Validating signature for C Windows SoftwareDistribution WuRedir F -A - - - A D EFE D wuredir cab with dwProvFlags x - - cc Misc Microsoft signed NA - - cc Misc Validating signature for C Windows SoftwareDistribution WuRedir F -A - - - A D EFE D TMPDF tmp with dwProvFlags x - - cc Misc Microsoft signed NA - - cc Misc Validating signature for C Windows SoftwareDistribution WuRedir F -A - - - A D EFE D wuredir cab with dwProvFlags x - - cc Misc Microsoft signed NA - - cc Misc Validating signature for C Windows SoftwareDistribution WuRedir F -A - - - A D EFE D TMPDF tmp with dwProvFlags x - - cc Misc Microsoft signed NA - - cc PT PT Synchronizing extended update info - - cc PT ServiceId F -A - - - A D EFE D Server URL https fe update microsoft com v ClientWebService client asmx - - cc DtaStor WARNING Attempted to add URL http download windowsupdate com msdownload update software updt ebb a c a c eac ecdcd cab for file Kjd BsNpRlIiRRqckurD NzXE when file has not been previously added to the datastore - - cc DtaStor WARNING Attempted to add URL http download windowsupdate com c msdownload update others d ac b e e fc b bd ed ea ec b b cab for file qwTO nn fwWsb kTtjqY XsOws when file has not been previously added to the datastore Here are the entries from the previous attempt Code - - ac AU Install complete for all calls reboot NOT needed - - ac AU Setting AU scheduled install time to - - - - ac AU Successfully wrote event for AU health state - - fc AU Getting featured update notifications fIncludeDismissed true - - fc AU No featured updates available - - fc AU All updates already downloaded setting percent complete to - - fc AU All updates already downloaded setting percent complete to - - fc AU No featured updates notifications to show - -... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/400383-windows-update-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hello, my MalwareBytes Anti-Malware program gets stuck on "checking for updates".  I can still run a scan if I click "skip update" but I'd like to keep the program updated.  Can anyone help me fix this problem?  Thanks.

A:MalwareBytes Anti-Malware stuck on "checking for updates"

Hello clefty123:

A very small number of MBAM users have reported similar experiences.  It would be far better to open your own topic in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware sub-forum within their forum.
Within your topic there, and through a command prompt, please report the results of:

$ nslookup data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

and

$ ping data-cdn.mbamupdates.com

Thank you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628484/malwarebytes-anti-malware-stuck-on-checking-for-updates/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hello everyone, Windows Update has been stuck at 0% every time I've tried in the last couple of days (see screenshot). These are the two updates available:
Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3103688).

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3105213).

A:Downloading updates stuck at 0%

Originally Posted by TomStrong

Hello everyone, Windows Update has been stuck at 0% every time I've tried in the last couple of days (see screenshot). These are the two updates available:
Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3103688).

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3105213).

Please run the Windows Update Troubleshooter:
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262
Please provide the exact details of any problem it reports as not fixed.

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/34487-downloading-updates-stuck-0-a.html
Relevancy 73.1%

Hey
So had to format my system yesterday,it usually takes around 2-3 hours for WU on"Checking for Updates" but this time it toke more than 12 hours to find them,when checked to start downloading them it wont download,it's been an hour now just " Downloading 246 updates(0 KB total,0% Complete)" is there any way to avoid this ? or is Microsoft that desperate ?

A:Downloading updates stuck at 0%

You are correct, MS is desperate, let it run overnight.

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/398771-downloading-updates-stuck-0-a.html
Relevancy 72.24%

Hi Everyone....

I have been struggling thru this Win 7 update hassle on my two Dell PCs both running Win 7 , 64 bit, SP1, Windows firewall, and Avast Free. In the past, updates just took a while, but eventually, they went thru OK.

Suddenly, after this week's updates, one of my PCs got stuck at 0% downloading 5 selected updates since Tuesday. The other PC updated properly with no problem.

I have left the system on for hours on end, but it is still 0%.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/400758-win-7-updates-stuck-downloading-three-days.html
Relevancy 72.24%

My Windows 10 version 1511 is set to download and install updates automatically but this morning, the updates download got stuck at 0% for a long time. Even after a reboot, it would not budge.
Do you guys have the same problem here?

Maybe during the downloading of the updates, I had turned off my notebook, so would that have a negative effect on the way the updates are downloaded or in process of downloading?
So for example, next time if there is a Windows Update and the downloads are in progress, is it OK to turn off my machine while Windows 10 is downloading the patches or security updates?

The only way I could recover from this mess, is that I read these steps from the below link.
?www.thewindowsclub.com/w ??? -updates

But overall in general, the way Win10 handles these updates is a PURE MESS, and I hope in Redstone, this will be fixed.
I never had these issues in Win7...

A:Win10 Updates stuck downloading

I had a hard time updating my 10586 (1511) Version so I let it update and download over night. DON'T !! it also downloaded the "Feature update", meaning the anniversary update and tried to install that. I interrupted the update so Windows will be forced to go back to the 1511 Version.
Whenever a new cumulative update is available, I made it a habit to download it from the catalog:
Microsoft Update Catalog

that way I do not rely on the Windows update and can do that even disconnected from the web.. Has always worked for me...

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/63733-win10-updates-stuck-downloading.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I need help fixing this issue:The problem is its connected to the HP servers but for some reason it stops at "downloading messages and updates definition". Ive tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, then rebooting my laptop but it still doesnt work.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/HP-support-assistant-is-stuck-on-downloading-and-updates/td-p/5840180
Relevancy 68.37%

I'm trying to add the latest updates on my Windows 8 (64-bit) laptop (Asus Q400A-BHI7N03) and the checking for updates... never completes. I've even tried leaving it over night with no success.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A:Windows Update never finds updates (Checking for updates never ends)

try running the Windows Update Troubleshooter:
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9830262"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/394bc1f4-4afa-45b2-85d8-3b1bbd48b684/windows-update-never-finds-updates-checking-for-updates-never-ends?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 67.94%

I've decided to upgrade my Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 with the free upgrade. Unfortunately, it has been stuck "Checking for Updates" for the last 30-45 minutes. Is this normal? I've updated two laptops, one Windows 7 Home and one Windows 8 and it didn't take nearly this long. I'm afraid I'm stuck in some kind of loop. I've searched the forum and couldn't find anything.

A:Upgrade Install Stuck on "Checking for Updates"

Originally Posted by ARAMP1

I've decided to upgrade my Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 10 with the free upgrade. Unfortunately, it has been stuck "Checking for Updates" for the last 30-45 minutes. Is this normal? I've updated two laptops, one Windows 7 Home and one Windows 8 and it didn't take nearly this long. I'm afraid I'm stuck in some kind of loop. I've searched the forum and couldn't find anything.

Well, please disregard. It finally started installing.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/40287-upgrade-install-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hiii Sevenforums Team,

Plz help in this out as me facing this prob from when...
even though i repair/reinstall windows7 thru installation disc...but still the prob is not been solved.

I try my best.. but still no positive results.so i give up and came here...By hoping that anyone here will sort out my prob ...my last hope

It will keep on checking...for hrs..but nothing happens

i even run this tool "WindowsUpdateDiagnostic" so many times... but it always says error repair but nothing happens..same errors it shows again on reboot.

says repair/Fixed...

just an eyewash,,,nothing getting fixed....

A:Help.. Windows update just keeps checking without downloading anything

Hello truemate, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if using OPTION THREE in the tutorial below to completely reset Windows Update may be able to help.

Windows Update - Reset

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/390294-help-windows-update-just-keeps-checking-without-downloading-anything.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hate to beat a dead horse here but having some very similar update issues as others have recently reported I actually installed the base HP version Win updates worked fine until I got to SP That installed fine rebooted but then there was update indicating Win Update needed to be updated before it could continue updates LOL Once I did that now it just sits there forever quot Checking for Updates quot Self-troubleshooting I've done so "Checking Stuck Win7 Updates" for at HP SP1 far but to no avail CCleaner cleaned up amp Disk cleanup under safe mode new install not much to clean up Reset Update following this instruction Windows Update - Reset System restored to the earliest restore point But that just gets me back Win7 HP SP1 Stuck at "Checking for Updates" to quot Checking for Updates quot Tried to manually install KB from this thread windows sp update stuck at quot checking for updates quot I guess I will let it continue checking been going for about hr now but wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions Thanks in advance

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/381510-win7-hp-sp1-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi I've purchased a refurbished Dell notebook that has Windows home Prem Have had it for a few months and everything works great However it has never been able to do a stuck 7 "checking Win for update updates" Windows update Been trying to get the update to work on and off since I bought it It's a valid Windows install and has a registered product code I mention that because it is compatible for a free Windows upgrade it's a notebook that can be used as a tablet and I really like how Windows works on my other PCs Win 7 update "checking for updates" stuck I have been trying to get the regular windows update to work so I can start off with an up to date to upgrade I've tried everything with no success BTW the update history shows only two MS file updates and when I start the update process the first screen says quot Most recent updates Never Updates were installed Never And it continues in a quot Win 7 update "checking for updates" stuck Checking for Updates quot mode I've even left it overnight It's not frozen and the activity bar is moving Network activity is zero and I'm using percent of my memory with nothing else running So I can not update my OS On a whim I tried the MS windows upgrade I've done it on a couple of other computers without issues The upgrade goes smoothly and quickly and get all way to the last point where it checks for any OS updates and then sits there not frozen running and doing nothing So at that point I find I can not cancel or go back and my only option is to kill the program using the top task bar quot X quot At that point it switches to a quot cleaning up quot stage and THAT gets stuck there I ultimately have to use the Windows task manager and kill the process and program I did not get a Windows disk with the notebook so I'm thinking of downloading Win Home Prem ISO from MS and then format the hard drive and Win 7 update "checking for updates" stuck do a clean install of Win from scratch From my research about this I've found there are almost as many quot fixes quot for the Windows Update problem as there are people who have it I think I've already tried at least or more fixes that worked for or more other users but none of them work for me Anyone want to have a go at this one

A:Win 7 update "checking for updates" stuck

I do it by integrating updates into install.wim before installing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/385692-win-7-update-checking-updates-stuck.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I have two PCs, Dell laptop and desktop, both with windows 7 sp1 and both with the same problem. I've read other post and followed the instructions and nothing helps. Downloaded SURT but it wasn't applicable for my computer. I've stopped the update services, switched to manual and all updates I've been told to download are already on the computer. I tried booting in safe mode, but couldn't see how to check for updates from safe mode. Neither PC is used for internet surfing so if I have to live with it I can, but it's sort of bugging me and I'd like to fix it.

A:Stuck in "checking for updates"

I don't know what else you followed but

Follow these instructions exactly.
First, set Windows Updates to never check for Updates.
Next restart your computer, then install KB3020369, if not installed.
Then install KB3172605.

Windows updates should return to normal. You can then reset your updates to automatically check for updates if desired

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3020369

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3172605

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/402498-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 65.79%

This is an Acer netbook that I just installed a SSD into. Windows 7 64bit is activated.
After install I tried to get the latest updates and it just sits there checking, left it alone for an hour. I don't get any error messages at all. Ran SURT (It also searches for updates and gets stuck). I've also tried the fixes that I've seen here: Windows Update - Reset[3]=Windows Updates

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/383401-stuck-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 64.93%

So we have this Acer laptop that of course came with all Update Windows checking. stuck kinds of crap installed that starts up with it Getting tired of hearing about how slow the thing is I disabled a half dozen things MyWinLocker LaunchManager some other crap that aren't essential leaving a few things from Intel MSSE etc Having done that I restarted it All was well Then I opened the Task Manager to kill the GWX process I hadn't disabled it on that machine yet and noticed two things TrustedInstaller exe would eat a bunch of CPU power then a large amount of memory then go back to normal Immediately following that one particular instance of svchost exe starting using of the CPU and used a massive amount of memory around and just stayed there So I started looking in to that problem It shouldn't be sitting there idling at CPU usage for various reasons I waited and waited it would not go away One of the possible solutions I found was to disable Microsoft Update I checked Windows Update settings and MS Update was indeed enabled so I disabled that and also set Windows Update to NOT install anything automatically The option to re-enable MS Update is now gone At this point Windows Update thought I'd never updated the system so I clicked quot Check for updates quot and that's where it sits Also worth noting there was a bunch Windows Update stuck checking. of failed updates from yesterday including the Upgrade to Windows Home For obvious reasons I'm waiting to decide whether or not I upgrade That was the plan for that laptop too but because Windows Update was set to automatically download AND install stuff apparently tried to upgrade and it failed Also worth noting Windows has started telling me that the product is not genuine via WatUX I'd actually poked around and found an old thread from these forums about a possible fix for that which involves rebuilding the Licensing Store I have not done this yet I want to fix these other issues first However the system properties show Windows as both activated and genuine No idea what's going on here Anyway does anyone have any suggestions here I've sat and screwed with this thing for a good hours now and am fixing to send it in to orbit instead Edit I'm also just now seeing the posting instructions for this particular forum As far as downloading those utilities and collecting logs goes I'll have to do that and amend my thread later as the laptop in question is currently in use I didn't notice any error codes for the failed updates from yesterday either as I can only see in the update history that they failed And didn't poke around as to why But I'm still certainly open to what people think I should do here

A:Windows Update stuck checking.

Update:

Posting from the laptop now. Windows Update quit having whatever problem it was having, and displayed found updates again. However, I just noticed they have failed.

Errors:

Code 8E5E0147
Code 8E5E0152

All 6 "Important" updates failed. They consist of one IE11 cumulative update, and five Windows 7 Security Updates.

Edit: Downloading the Windows Update Readiness Tool, and will run it once it's complete, followed by the other instructions in the Instructions thread.

Edit2: The Readiness Tool installed one update, and succeeded. After which, I ran sfc /scannow, which found some corrupted files and could not repair them. Now, normally, I'd be updating this post to include the zipped CBS.log... however, this particular instance of the log, crated today, right after that SFC, is 158MB. That seems... rather unusual, and I'm unsure what to do at this point, as I'm sure that's well beyond the upload limit here.

Meanwhile, the TrustedInstaller/svchost 50% CPU issue is still happening.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/378672-windows-update-stuck-checking.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I had to reinstall windows and I ran a restore from a backup I made and I think that might have messed up Windows Update I know there's checking Windows stuck update a way to delete the cache or data folder and make Windows Update like new again if that Windows update stuck checking makes any sense Or reset it I just forget how What do you suggest It's been checking for the last minutes I ran a few troubleshooters from Microsoft and they said they fixed it but they didn't I got error and I'm checking online to see what to do right now I did a CMD prompt and I stopped wuauserv and did this rd s q systemroot SoftwareDistribution old I also downloaded a file from Microsoft to fix Windows update And I even left the thing on to check for updates for a good hour But all it does is have the little green line move left to right saying that it's checking for updates and I'm sitting here waiting I think I'm going to download the Tweaking com Windows Repair tool What's weird is that quot System quot says I have Service Pack Am I just impatient or is this an actual problem I restarted my PC and it's been checking for the last half hour

A:Windows update stuck checking

Probably not the solution but to commiserate I Upgraded a WinVista 32-bit computer to Win7 yesterday then install SP1. That went well so I started the update process and like yours did not go beyond that same screen so I left it running overnight. This morning I had update telling me there were 228 updates to do, 4 hours later it is installing number 145 of that 228. May be finished late today?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/387970-windows-update-stuck-checking.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I keep getting Error message: Install Failure after Windows updates are downloaded and Windows attempts to install those updates.

The download is successfull, however, after Windows 7 attempts to install those updates I get this message:

Configuring Windows Update. Do Not Turn off computer.

After Windows attempts the installations of those updates, I get the following message: Failure configuring Service Pack. Reverting Changes. Error_install_failure (0x80070643).

I contacted Microsoft on the problem via emails....they went through a number of trouble shooting techniques....but after all of their recommendations, all they could tell me was to reinstall Windows 7.

I really would not like to do that. Do you have any idea what the problem is?

I have HP Pavilian dv6-3010 us Entertainment Notebook
Windows7, 64bit syatem, 8 gigabytes of Ram, 320Gig Hard Drive
Thanks
Dieter

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-after-downloading-current-updates-failes-to-complete-intall-of-updates.1015802/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi guys so I got this new-to-me Acer Aspire laptop as a gift from a friend whose new laptop I just cleaned still angry about lenovo's bloatware obsession For the complete specs I included the full DxDiag txt output So I freshly installed Windows Ultimate for updates Windows keeps Updates checking x Windows Updates keeps checking for updates SP on it and for three days now whatever I do Windows Update will just keep Checking for updates forever The first time I ran Windows Update it updated itself then re-ran itself and then goes on looking for updates in outer space or something What I tried so far booting into safe mode and running the disk cleanup checked everything using the windows update full reset bat file rebooted installed the update readiness tool thing I had to kill the windows update service for the muddathing to actually install because the installation was freezed on checking for system updates Tried grabbing the latest windows update agent from microsoft's website same thing tried redoing my installation of windows to rule out any install problems sfc scannow reports nothing I guess it's worth mentioning I'm dual booting with Linux Mint which is working and updating perfectly fine The thing is I need Office and Windows as this laptop will be used for school

A:Windows Updates keeps checking for updates

How long have you let it run? I've worked on maybe eight machines in the past few days, and every one of them took north of an hour to gather the data. But generally only on the first run. Win10 fallout, probably. You could try it on a Diagnostic Boot via msconfig.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/379003-windows-updates-keeps-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi,
I am attempting to update a new install of Windows Vista that is currently at SP1.
Initially, attempts to run the update failed with error code 80080005, but I got by that with the help of a post on this forum. The advice there was to change the settings to never update, exit Update, re-enter it and and set it back to update automatically. That worked fine.
Now, however, when I open Windows Update and click on Check for updates, the screen flashes immediately and no update are found. I don't even think it's checking.
Any help with this problem would be appreciated.
Thanks,
s660117

A:Windows update not checking for updates

I should have mentioned that both "Most recent check for updates" and "Updates were installed" are both set to "Never".

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/301662-windows-update-not-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I am trying to update my new laptop to windows 10. It starts checking for windows updates but that process never completes, it will run for days until I stop it.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/184a1844-dff8-4ff7-8203-701978830b89/windows-checking-for-updates-never-completes?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello!
I've got a Windows 7 fresh installation, and the first thing I did was to try to update my windows. The problem is that windows keeps checking for updates without coming up with any results (and I did wait a lot).

I had to change my HDD, because the previous one failed altogether. I wouldn't see why there could be any compatibility issues. I have a HP Pavilion dv5-1141en and the hdd inside is a 500GB Seagate. The previous one was a 320GB WD.

I tried resetting my windows update components (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058), but it didn't work.

I really have no idea where to go from here. It's weird, given that the installation is new.

Appreciate any suggestions,

Thank you!

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/384840-windows-update-keeps-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi there I just re-installed Windows XP Home Edition yesterday It is a genuine validated copy I opened IE to the site quot windowsupdate microsoft com quot and installed updates that were available That worked perfectly However now for updates checking hangs Windows while whenever I open that site and click on quot Express Updates quot IE indefinitely searches for updates quot Checking for the latest updates for your computer quot The green scroll bar at that page just goes on and on I have automatic updates turned on I manually downloaded IE hoping that it might resolve the issue but IE setup fails at the point quot Installing Windows updates required for Internet Explorer quot Try as I might I am unable to install IE too I followed the checklist on this site too - http www telus net dandemar updtlp htm in vain Here is a link to my windowsupdate log http frugalware org paste Only the lower part of the file is pasted complete file file is uploaded here http cs one net rohan files WindowsUpdate log I have checked for viruses using Avast Antivirus too Please help me resolve the problem nbsp

A:Windows hangs while checking for updates

Try this site:
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

You may need a new version of MS intaller?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-hangs-while-checking-for-updates.548937/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi all, I have an old laptop that has seen better days but I keep it around as a backup.  Due to slow performance and the fact that it will be minimally used, I did a factory restore to speed things up a little.

The problem is, since the restore, it will not update. I run the Windows updater but it just hangs on "Checking for updates".

Has anyone had this problem, and a suggested resolution?  The laptop is 7 years old so since I did a factory restore I would expect a plethora of updates.

Thanks in advance!

A:Windows 7 SP1 - "Checking for updates" hangs

Hi BigD_NC,

Have a look at this thread, it seems you're not alone

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/608538/windows-7-clean-install/

It has some good links and a fix

Good luck

Hedge

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/608588/windows-7-sp1-checking-for-updates-hangs/
Relevancy 62.35%

I am currently using windows 7 64-bit.

I downloaded windows 10 from the ms site (the automatic icon never appeared on my pc), and am using the media creation tool.

All goes fine until 'Getting Updates', when it hangs on 'checking for updates'.

I have tried playing with the settings in Windows update, but suspect the problem lies in there somewhere... my windows 7 was recently proving unable to install all its updates also. I've tried various solutions for that but no luck.

Is a clean install the answer?

Thanks!

A:Windows 10 setup: hangs on Checking for Updates

Create a flash drive or ISO using the MCT.
Disconnect from the internet then run setup.exe from the flash drive or mounted ISO (right click on it and select Mount).
Don'tcheck for updates, just begin the install. When complete, reconnect to the internet and continue.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/20160-windows-10-setup-hangs-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi, I would be grateful for any advice or help with the following issue I am having with this laptop.

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
Samsung RV510

I noticed Windows Update was getting stuck on Checking for updates and tried to troubleshoot the issue. (WindowsUpdateDiagnostic, KB947821, manually updating update agent etc)
I eventually did a a system restore (built in samsung recovery solution 5) to the condition it was sold in.
Microsoft Update was working but stopped working again after updating to SP1.

Have run SURT and SFC. CBS logs attached.

A:Windows Update checking for updates issue

Also;
When using WindowsUpdateDiagnostic, sometimes the following error appears and is or isnt fixed.

Windows Update error 0x80070005

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/379578-windows-update-checking-updates-issue.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello all,

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7000. Restored it recently to scratch and following this, windows update has been stuck on checking for updates ever since. I've let it run overnight several times and tried various fixes to no avail. 

So far I've tried

- restarting,
- the windows troubleshooter,
- http://www.kapilarya.com/windows-updates-troubleshooting, but half the commands failed.
- https://windowsforum.com/threads/windows-update-keeps-checking-for-updates-forever.73958/page-2
- A fix on youtube which involved deleting two folders
- A fix that just shows all the taskbar icons

However it never passes checking for updates. Everything else seems to be working fine and I have only recently restored it so I can't imagine restoring again would help.

Thanks to anyone who tries to help as this is damn frustrating!

A:Win 8.1 - Windows update "checking for updates" eternally

Forgot to mention that I tried twice to upgrade to windows 10 straight away, but they failed again. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601212/win-81-windows-update-checking-for-updates-eternally/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello everyone!

This is my first post

At some point my Windows Update started to take forever when checking for updates. I don't know why. So I decided to re-install Windows 7 (Ultimate 32-bits edition on my DELL Dimension 9150) to see if this could get fixed. My HDD is partitioned so before installed I formatted the partition with diskpart (NOT a quick format, took long but I thought it would be better than quick format) and proceed to install Windows 7.

To my surprise Windows Update still keeps on checking for updates for ever.

I have my Windows 7 activated. I haven't installed anything else but Windows Explorer 11 (which managed to download some updates) and followed the instructions to make this post: ran SURT and SFC Scan (which found nothing wrong).

Find my CBS.zip attached.

Hope you guys can help me with this.

Thank you!

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/387897-windows-update-never-finishes-checking-updates.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi I got a used Thinkpad T laptop which had Windows Professional installed Since I can't change the GUI language on Professional I reinstalled the laptop with Windows Ultimate x en windows ultimate with sp x dvd u iso directly from MS The fresh install won't install any updates the quot Checking for Updates quot bar Update Windows for updates checking forever simply Windows Update checking for updates forever doesn't do anything I waited over - hours Installed SURT KB no change sfc scannow says that everything is in order Error codes in the WindowsUpdate log I see a warning with hr or sometimes the codes x B or x C The CBS folder doesn't allow me to compress it's contets so I can't post that not enought permssions The only time I got a reaction was after manually installing KB Windows Update Agent to the latest version After this it found important and -something recommended updates About of the important updates were installed but then it hanged After a reboot I'm back at square one the quot Checking for updates quot bar does nothing anymore I searched the Internet for days now and tried more suggestions that I can count but nothing helped I also reinstalled the laptop that didn't help either Please guys I need the laptop done by tomorrow I hope somebody can help me Another thing I could install WUA and SURT only by pulling the LAN cable from the laptop Otherwise the manual updates also hang at quot Checking the system for updates quot or some similar text

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/393818-windows-update-checking-updates-forever.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi All I've been having a major problem with windows updates for checking never update stops Windows update for the last week or so it's getting stuck quot Checking for updates quot Not only that but I'm seeing this problem on different installations with different underlying hardware The systems are - VitrualBox Linux Host running Win Pro bit This was last used July and was fully updated then Windows update never stops checking for updates - Thinkpad X with SSD which does NOT report k physical sectors advanced format Clean install this week of W Pro bit SP from official Microsoft retail disc so no manufacturer extras - VirtualBox Linux Host different underlying hardware to install running Win Pro Bit clean install this week I did this one as an experiment after the other failed to work All systems exhibit the same problem when trying to update the quot Checking for updates quot process never completes and after a period of activity the svchost exe process will sit at the top of the process display with unchanging memory usage and it will consume of a single processor core indicating to me that it is stuck in a single thread race condition This continues to be the case even if I leave the computers for several hours I have used the automatic Windows quot Fixit quot for windows update on all systems it did no good I have followed all of the instructions on this page https support microsoft com en-gb kb to no avail I have used the SURT tool and run sfc scannow There are no error codes to report CBS Logs from system attached I have spent probably to hours over several days trying to persuade the updates to install and have followed numerous suggestions from Google searches Nothing makes any difference to any of the above installs The Linux installs on the VirtualBox based systems report no hardware problems and are working perfectly I have one further Windows native install the only one I use regularly which is successfully receiving updates this is the only one which isn't trying to download more than one months worth of updates Since I'm experiencing this problem on multiple systems with different hardware and only seemingly where more than a months worth of updates are being looked for I am seriously wondering if Microsoft have put out a combination of updates in the last few months which causes an endless loop of dependency resolution for some setups if you haven't been installing updates every month Has this ever been known to happen Linux update tools will sometimes fail for a similar reason although they don't normally get stuck in endless loops I can conceive of it happening I'd appreciate any suggestions but I suspect that I may have to wait until the next patch Tuesday and hope that somebody at MS deals with this then If this was just one system I would assume a fault with the computer but installations of them new with the same fault makes me very suspicious

A:Windows update never stops checking for updates

Quote: Originally Posted by tim1mw

...the "Checking for updates" process never completes and after a period of activity,
~~~
I'd appreciate any suggestions,
~~~

Patience :-)

Set the computer not to sleep.
Manually start the check for updates.
Leave the computer alone for at least 24 hours.

For some people, the check for updates ends after 20 minutes. For others, it takes many hours. Lots of speculation; but no hard facts as to why this is happening. Perhaps you are connecting to busy servers.

If you want, delete your experimental VM and create a fresh one. Before checking for updates, manually download/install the latest Windows Update client: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083324 Then manually check for updates and leave it alone.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/382249-windows-update-never-stops-checking-updates.html