Windows Support Forum

My laptop freezes when I connect an external HDD

Q: My laptop freezes when I connect an external HDD

Whenever I connect my external hard disk to my laptop, my computer freezes as soon as I My Computer to access it or click on 'Open to view files' in the autorun menu. I cannot do once this happens. Not even task manager can be opened. The computer unfreezes and starts working fine after I unplug my hard disk. But it works just fine on my friend's laptop.
This started happening a few days ago. Till then I could use the hard disk normally without any problems. Can anyone please help me out with this problem?
My operating system is windows 7 and I am using Avast Internet Security 7 antivirus

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: My laptop freezes when I connect an external HDD

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: My laptop freezes when I connect an external HDD

What type of external HDD is it? Of what Brand?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-freezes-when-i-connect-an-external-hdd.180809/
Relevancy 61.49%

So, my external worked fine the other day, but now it just won't work. I connect it, try to open it in My Computer, and the window freezes. The rest of the computer is fine. It doesn't show up in the My Computer folder either. I have to disconnect it to unfreeze it. It unfreezes immediately when I do, and says "You must format this hard drive to use it. How'm I supposed to format it if it's not in? Plus, I have important stuff in it, so I really don't want to.

What can I do, what's the issue?

Relevancy 58.05%

When I try and copy some files onto my external HD, Windows freezes and in the end, I have to hold the power button and shut it down myself. So far, only 2 files have this problem:
- A pdf (110mb)
- A rar file (60mb)

I have also run CrystalDiskInfo and got a Caution health status.
These were yellow flagged-
05 Reallocated Sectors Count: Current- 100, Worst- 100, Threshold- 36
C5 Current Pending Sector Count: Current- 100, Worst- 100, Threshold- 0

My HD (in the laptop) is a Seagate Momentus ST9320423AS 320GB SATA
Processor - AMD Athlon II Dual-Core M320 2.10 GHz
RAM - 4.00 GB (3.50 usable)
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium
Brand/Type - Compaq Presario CQ61 Notebook PC

Any help on how to fix this would be appreciated thanks.

A:Laptop freezes when trying to copy files to external HD

The Crystal Disk Info is for the file on the laptop or the external drive?

Also when copying the files, are you able to copy other pdf and rar files to the external without locking up, and are you able to copy other files of equally large size with no problem. Is the problem with these two actual files, or certain kinds or sizes of files?

Do you think the problem is with the internal or external drive? Do you have other problems with the system, or the freezing only occurs when trying to copy these two files?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-freezes-when-trying-to-copy-files-to-external-hd.158198/
Relevancy 58.05%

hello i am having trouble with my toshiba external hard-drive. everytime i plug in my external hard drive it causes my laptop to freeze and causes "my Computer" to be "Not Responding". but when i take it out my laptop works fine. what can be the problem with it?

A:External hard drive freezes my laptop

How long have you had the external drive?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-freezes-my-laptop.154031/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi there, I have seen some posts on internet, concerning connecting an external CRT Monitor with a Laptop computer. They pretty much said that there might be a blue cable with, and one can use it to connect that monitor with laptop. Now I am confused that mine monitor has two cables; one of which is blue and the other one is white, having three larger pins inside. Both these wires are connected to my desktop CPU. Now my question is that, it is obvious that the blue wire can be connected to my laptop but what about the other one, this wire is connected to the power supply of my desktop pc, and when it comes to laptop, would mere one wire (blue) suffice for the electricity or other things? Thank you for reading, waiting for your replies. Thanks!

A:How to connect an External Monitor with Laptop?

Typical video connections on a laptop are

VGA usually blue

DVI usually white

HDMI usually gray or black but can come in other colors..

What connection does your laptop have and match that to your monitors connector..

do not plug your laptop video output to you computer video output!!

connections are from computer or laptop to monitor

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/25002-how-connect-external-monitor-laptop.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi

I have an Acer Aspire 2920Z. I have been connecting it to a Samsung Syncmaster 2333t external monitor using a VGA lead and it has been working fine for about a year. Today, it stopped working. At first when I connected the VGA lead, I got a message "Multiscreen application error monitor not found". Then a 'check signal cable' floating box appeared on the Samsung screen.

Now when I try to plug the VGA lead into my laptop, my laptop screen goes black.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

A:Laptop cant connect to external monitor

Did you try to re-install the video card drivers ?

http://www.vistax64.com/graphic-cards/291594-laptop-cant-connect-external-monitor.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello I'm new here so I hope I put this thread in the correct location I've been having an issue with my computer when I try to connect external monitors to it one via HDMI and one via VGA The ports are right next to each other on my laptop so I ended up cutting the blue plastic protection layer so Connect laptop to a monitors 2 external I could fit in it Anyway I can connect both monitors fine but I can't seem to get the laptop monitor to stay on and working when I extend the displays In other words I have the laptop monitor and external monitors which I'm trying to connect and the laptop monitor doesn't connect when Connect 2 external monitors to a laptop I connect the other two When I push the windows key p I click on the extend option but the laptop monitor doesn't extend it only extends on the two externals Now I'm wondering if my graphics card only supports two monitors being on at a time or if it's some random Windows problem I haven't thoroughly gone through some of Here are some specs of my computer and monitors so you can get the picture HP ENVY dv CPU Intel Core i - GHz RAM GB OS Windows -bit Graphics card Intel HD Graphics Monitors ViewSonic VX Series inch monitor Westinghouse L HW inch monitor I appreciate any help given in advance

A:Connect 2 external monitors to a laptop

Originally Posted by Ymerejliaf

Now, I'm wondering if my graphics card only supports two monitors being on at a time, o

You answered your own question. Common Mobile graphic cards only support 2 displays any given time, be it internal+external or external+external.

Common low to mid-high NV or AMD cards do the same.

Only the new Haswell will support 3 monitors in the case of Intel.

EDIT: You could also try a USB to VGA adapter for the 3rd monitor.

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/26079-connect-2-external-monitors-laptop.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a pavillion n201ax... as m video editor.. i need to connect source monitor (second monitor) to my laptop.. i hav tried a lot but its not detecting the external monitor... plz help me out my laptop has hdmi ... i hav connected hdmi to vga adapter to external monitor but its not connecting thanx 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/How-do-I-connect-my-laptop-to-an-external-monitor/td-p/5622433
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi. I have a Dell Latitude E7440. The laptop boots to the desktop fine while its connected to the AC adapter. It also boots fine while on battery to the desktop and operates normally. But the problem occurs when I connect the AC adapter while the laptop is powered on, it freezes, for example when its on the desktop and i connect the AC adapter, it freezes and doesn't respond. When I disconnect the AC adapter, it resumes and operates normal again. When I connect the AC adapter again it freezes and when I disconnect, it resumes to normal operation. The third time I connect the AC adapter, it does not freeze. What could be the problem? Any help appreciated please.

A:Laptop freezes when I connect AC adapter

Hi Dwaine David, 
Thanks for writing to us. 
When did the issue start? Was there any hardware or software changes done recently? 
Please update the BIOS if not done yet, from support.euro.dell.com and observe for any changes, 
If possible please try another adapter as well. 
Please provide us your system tag#, email  address and name via private message. 
Regards

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19984416
Relevancy 57.19%

I was wondering if there was a device I could plug into the male usb lead on my hard drive and connect it to my computer over wifi or through another usb dongle on my laptop, this would allow me to watch movies without having to go to where my HD is stored and moving them to my laptop manually. I have a lot of files on my external hard drive, it is not portable and it needs to be plugged into a wall socket so I cant just carry it around with my laptop. My hard drive is a western digital 1TB external hard drive and I am using windows 7.

A:usb wireless adaptor to connect external HD to laptop

I don't know if that is going to work the way you describe it.

They make adapters like this:
TRENDnet - TU2-ET100 - Hi-Speed USB 2.0 to Fast Ethernet Adapter at TigerDirect.com
but a device connected to the router must be able to identify itself on the network with an IP address and MAC identifier.

Most likely you will need something like this:
D-Link 2-Bay Network Storage Enclosure

or this:
LaCie - LaCie Wireless Space

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/214791-usb-wireless-adaptor-connect-external-hd-laptop.html
Relevancy 57.19%

my xp crashed i have wd mybook external storage and i am trying to connect to laptop to recover some files however i cant get mybook to work on laptop. any ideas?

Relevancy 57.19%

Hi,
I am trying to connect my laptop to an external keyboard and external mouse. I bought a PS2 to usb converter as my laptop doesnt have a PS2 connector. When I connect the converter, it detects the usb device and install the drivers, the mouse works but the keyboard doesnt work. I have checked the device manager and and there is HID keyboard device and standard 101/102-key or microsoft natural ps/2 keyboard. I just cant find what is the problem.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Relevancy 57.19%

Hi I ve been trying for hours to get my Lenovo Thinkpad notebook to connect to the monitor I use for my home computer I have unplugged the cable in the computer and connected it to my notebook as I usually do to duplicate the screen across two monitors Only this time it to monitor external doesn't Laptop connect hasn t worked The main reason why I want to do this is because my notebook display looks stretched on the notebook screen but when I connect it to the external monitor it always goes normal This is something that also doesn t want to Laptop doesn't connect to external monitor change no matter what resolution the screen is or however Laptop doesn't connect to external monitor many Google suggestions I read Any help My notebook isn t registering that I have connected the monitor I have tried changing it from PC to AV and back again pressing Fn F simultaneously which usually does the trick and I also tried pressing the windows button on the keypad and P simultaneously but the mouse only briefly shows an hourglass next to it then nothing happens In the setting connect to an external display it doesn t detect that there is an external monitor plugged in If anyone knows any miracle tricks I would really love for their advice Thanks for any suggestions nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-doesnt-connect-to-external-monitor.1121984/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi all Im a student currently in overseas for school project program and stay in a motel Recently my laptop keep giving me problem where it freezes when loaded into window with wifi automatically Laptop when connect to freezes motel network connect to motel wifi paid service the computer freezes at various interval or oni the mouse arrow point moves while Laptop freezes when connect to motel network keyboard are unresponsive The mouse cannot select any program or click on anything but just moves and my laptop freezes as rapid clicking I have to use on button to forcefully shut down the laptop and tried many times however When my laptop is connected to my school wifi or the wifi was closed it work like a charm this puzzle me alot I have tried to forget the motel network and reconnect to the motel wifi initially it works for a while however it when back to the same old problem Especially using skype can anyone help me I am way behind in project work Sorry for the long msg and poor english Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Laptop freezes when connect to motel network

Take it somewhere else and try connecting there; if you get the same problem, then suspect your wifi driver? how do you connect when at home or at school?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-freezes-when-connect-to-motel-network.203663/
Relevancy 56.76%

The usb port from my external 500gb sata hard drive broke, when I opened the case inside is a regular desktop hard drive. I bought some sata cables to retrieve the data but when I hook it up to the computer nothing is displayed on my computer. I do see that the computer is reading it or atleast see's it under the disk management, it says 465 Gb unallocated. How do I fix this problem, I need to retrieve the important data on hard drive. Thanks

Relevancy 56.76%

Dear all external to How monitor to LCD (IBM ThinkPad connect laptop R50e)? I am encountering the following problem and would very much appreciate your help with it I am using an somewhat dated IBM ThinkPad How to connect external LCD monitor to laptop (IBM ThinkPad R50e)? R e which I d like to run with an external monitor Now I have connected the monitor Fujitsu Siemens Scenicview A - A to the external monitor connector using a DVI How to connect external LCD monitor to laptop (IBM ThinkPad R50e)? - VGA SVGA XVGA monitor adapter How to connect external LCD monitor to laptop (IBM ThinkPad R50e)? I have then switched the display output location to quot LCD amp external CRT monitor quot using the Fn F key combination but the external monitor seems not to receive a signal at least none that he d be willing to transform into some type of display -- it remains all black I also installed the monitor device drivers from Fujitsu on my laptop but to no avail Any suggestions on what the problem might be and how I might be able to get the external monitor to work with my laptop Thanks a lot in advance Nathan nbsp

A:How to connect external LCD monitor to laptop (IBM ThinkPad R50e)?

You just need to push the plug in securely (even tighten the thumb screws, if it has any)
Then turn on

It should default to the external, straight away
If not use the Fn+F7 keys as you said (note: I haven't downloaded your manual to confirm this)

By the way, the monitor works normally, and all, doesn't it ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-connect-external-lcd-monitor-to-laptop-ibm-thinkpad-r50e.120615/
Relevancy 56.76%

My laptop screen went black otherwise the laptop seems to be working. My friend said I could connect an external monitor and hit fn key and f4 key and It would connect to external monitor. I made the connection and hit both keys but to no avail.. Monitor states no signal..

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/My-laptop-screen-died-can-I-connect-a-external-monitor-to/td-p/5765827
Relevancy 56.33%

So, if my system is working fine on the power supply and I disconnect it to run on battery, this works fine... but when I plug the laptop back in, the system locks up. Any ideas?

A:Dell M1710 Laptop - System Freezes Applying External Power

same happens there. Dell studio 13 with Windows 7 64 bit

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/3266-dell-m1710-laptop-system-freezes-applying-external-power.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I have a Dell XPS 13 laptop running Windows 10. I have just purchased a Dell U2515H monitor which I am waiting for delivery for as we speak. I believe the monitor has quiet a few inputs however I am not 100% sure which lead to get to connect them both and which port I use on the Dell Laptop. Looking on the left hand side of my laptop there is a port with a lightning sign next to it, is that called Thunderbolt? and is that my monitor/display port? and what lead do I need? it looks like some sort of micro socket!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19981508
Relevancy 48.59%

hi please help me i can XP laptop connect TOSHIBA VISTA won't LAN/wired laptop HP connection but can connect t figure out what s wrong with my hp dv laptop vista bit i have a broadband connection witch doesn t require username LAN/wired connection can connect XP TOSHIBA laptop but won't connect VISTA HP laptop and password i m using a LAN wired connection my problem is when i use my hp laptop to connect internet it won t connect me but giving me limited connection but when i use my toshiba xp laptop it will connect me and can access internet so i thought maybe something s wrong with my hp laptop or its LAN Card Then the other day i went on a vacation and tried my hp laptop to their internet connection and i was surprised that it worked both wired and wireless now i don t know what s wrong and i don t know what to do with my own internet line and with my hp laptop i did that ipconfig thing and here s what i got Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation LAN/wired connection can connect XP TOSHIBA laptop but won't connect VISTA HP laptop All rights LAN/wired connection can connect XP TOSHIBA laptop but won't connect VISTA HP laptop reserved C Windows system gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name leiyah-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL E Family PCI-E Fast Ethern et NIC NDIS Physical Address - - B-DA- -BA DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d f dafe a b Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Windows system gt my TOSHIBA laptop can connect getting xxx IP address while my HP laptop won t connect getting a XXX IP address nbsp

A:LAN/wired connection can connect XP TOSHIBA laptop but won't connect VISTA HP laptop

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lan-wired-connection-can-connect-xp-toshiba-laptop-but-wont-connect-vista-hp-laptop.918872/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi everyone I have three computers connected wirelessly to the same router Two of them are working perfectly and are able to connect to the router via One of them cannot It can t connect to or to any page on the internet Internet Explorer comes up with the message Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage Firefox gives a similar message Here is the info that I got with ip config all Windows IP Configuration Host Name President-Eden Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Mixed connect Laptop to too to Unable Solved: internet. cannot connect to 10.1.1.1. IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R WiFi Link AGN Physical Address - -FA- -B - DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c d f b Preferred Solved: Laptop cannot connect to internet. Unable to connect to 10.1.1.1. too IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - A-E - - - - B- A- - DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Marvell Yukon E PCI-E Gigabit Ether net Controller Physical Address - - B- A- - DHCP Enabled Solved: Laptop cannot connect to internet. Unable to connect to 10.1.1.1. too Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap D ADEE- B - F F- E-C B br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap E BA-CDDA- -AAEE-C E E br CF Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes suggestions anyone thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Laptop cannot connect to internet. Unable to connect to 10.1.1.1. too

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-laptop-cannot-connect-to-internet-unable-to-connect-to-10-1-1-1-too.892711/
Relevancy 43.86%

Just to start off I am COMPLETELY clueless and have no tech savvy whatsoever so simple language would be appreciated I ve owned this laptop for a little over a year and all this time I ve been able to connect to Wifi without a problem This morning the icon at the bottom left of but Laptop with Ethernet will Wifi, won't cord an to My connect connect the screen told me there was no Internet connection available when I troubleshot it it suggested using the Ethernet cord to connect The Ethernet cord connects them fine and the internet connection becomes available but I m still unable to use the Wifi This is an issue with my laptop because all the other devices My Laptop won't connect to Wifi, but will connect with an Ethernet cord in my house are able to connect to the Wifi and the modem is showing all the appropriate lights and such I ve tried turning it off and on again but alas this once that method has failed I ve also tried resetting the modem and it made no difference Last night I was uninstalling various programs that I didn t need and that s the only thing I ve done differently to my usual computing habits I don t think I removed anything unless I knew what it was but it s possible I accidently removed something important I don t know if that has any relevance or not but it s all I can think of as the reason for this My laptop is a Toshiba Qosmio and the system I use is Windows My modem is Telstra Bigpond Please help D nbsp

A:My Laptop won't connect to Wifi, but will connect with an Ethernet cord

How far from the router are you? I experience the same thing occasionally on my laptop.
I usually have to switch the wifi switch off on the laptop & on then I reboot & I'm back online. My laptop & tower are both about 50' away & on the lower floor where the router is. Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-wont-connect-to-wifi-but-will-connect-with-an-ethernet-cord.197531/
Relevancy 43.43%

recently I got a Western Digital external Hard Drive, and I proceed to plug it into my USB 2.0 port. The very second I plug it in, when it should start loading its drivers, it just completely locks up my PC. I'd restart, try again, and the same thing would happen.

Any Ideas?

Relevancy 43%

Hi

I've recently gone to win7 and now my external hard drives keep freezing they didnt do this before win7 they were fine in xp I have read the other post like mine but I dont think its a corrupt file as they only started doing this in win 7 can you please help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-freezes.1013107/
Relevancy 43%

Hi. When I'm copying files (350MB+) to my Samsung STORY 1.5TB External HDD after one files is copied the file transfer freezes. After a few seconds I get a message saying the files cannot be located in H:/VIDEO and suddenly it says my external HDD is empty. I can't access the HDD (which has over 300GBs on it already) again until I reboot. I have installed this hotfix: You encounter problems when you move data over USB from a Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2-based computer that has an NVIDIA USB EHCI chipset and at least 4GB of RAM. It doesn't work however relevant it is to my problem. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

*Also my iPod will have trouble being detected in iTunes. After reboot it works fine.
**Just noticed the "External USB Hard Drive Problems" thread. Unfortunately only the hotfix seems to be suggested.

A:External HDD File Transfer Freezes

Hm...sounds like either one of two things...

1. Faulty chipset driver...reinstall your chipset drivers
2. You are having faulty power issues on the USB which would in turn mean hardware failure

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/46926-external-hdd-file-transfer-freezes.html
Relevancy 43%

So I just bought a WD caviar WD6400AAKS 640GB SATA HD and an Icy Dock MB559US-1SMB external enclosure:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136218
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817198011

I had some problems getting this drive to work at first through the USB connection, though Windows XP would recognize it. So, I hooked it up via SATA, windows found it and I was able to format it. Now, when I try to use it through the USB connection, windows will not recognize it and the system freezes. And by freeze, I mean that nothing will work (other than the mouse) unless I disconnect the drive. If I hook it back up to SATA, it works perfectly fine.

I tried searching, and tried the solutions I found, but they didn't work. Please help! Thanks.

A:Solved: External USB HD unrecognized and freezes

I recently bought a cheap 2.5" disk usb housing, which wouldn't work on my laptop, thought it was the housing (usb external box) they sent another, that didn't work on the laptop either, now the laptop has died, I replaced it with a desktop, thought I would try the box again, I found it was very cable sensative, did not like being connected to a hub, (usb device malfunctioned message) but with a 'good' usb cable, no problem at all
Rog

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-external-usb-hd-unrecognized-and-freezes.769476/
Relevancy 43%

I have a WD 250Gb external hard drive that I tried to format and use as a backup. I unchecked the tick box that said 'quick format' and left it to format. It took over and hour before i got the message along the lines of 'formatting failed'. Now when I plug it into my PC I can't access it and it freezes as it constantly tries to find it. The external HD is working, and the little white light is flashing.
In Computer Manager, the disk is showing up in RAW file system, rather than NTFS, and says it's healthy primary partition. I've tried to do a quick format from there, but that fails too.
Any advice please?

A:External HD freezes after formatting failed

Additional info - when I unplug the HD now, i get the message 'device inaccessible, parameters incorrect'.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/279045-external-hd-freezes-after-formatting-failed.html
Relevancy 43%

Hello to everyone A few months ago I bought an External Toshiba E Store quot TB I use it on Acer Aspire One-Netbook Processor Intel Atom GHZ gb ram When I wanted to External HDD Files Copying To freezes copy some files regardless the amount of the files or their capacitive the copy just ended well I use Teracopy A bit after my copy is just freezing Netbooks is working well ram was not at high percents neither cpu I had to open Task manager to close teracopy Other times the -file copying- was ended well other times not I did a Copying Files To External HDD freezes format to my netbook because I have searched and I found that maybe on my operating system was the problem After the format nothing changed After a lot of search again I found that chkdsk may help on the solution of this problem days ago I pluged my hdd and the disk checker sorry if this is not the name appeared I choose to AutoCorrect file system errors detection and recovery of bad sectors on the disk sorry again if this is not exactly what is saying I'm using win greek edition This check was going well but hangs a lot of hours at a sertain number of file I stopped the check restarted windows and opened Safe Mode to run check here Same problem appears Check hangs at the certain number of files But my hdd seams to be working like the blue light is blinking I saw on a forum that one person had a complete full TB external hdd and he took hours to made check done I am desperate for help I can't copy a file bigger than mb- gb Here is a picture ImageShack - Online Photo and Video Hosting or The check hangs at number of files language is greek Please help me with that copying problem I can't copy Sorry if I long posted

A:Copying Files To External HDD freezes

I also did from cmd chkdsk /r and hanged at the same number of files,but chkdsk /f completed,but nothing changed

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/255861-copying-files-external-hdd-freezes.html
Relevancy 43%

How do I connect a Windows 7 64bit and Windows 8.1 64bit both to the same external hdd at the same time so that either can pull and return files to it?

A:How do I connect two PCs to the same one external hdd?

This isn't possible as you describe it. The usual way for multiple computers to access the same drive is to attach it to one computer and connect the computers in a network.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/71789-how-do-i-connect-two-pcs-same-one-external-hdd.html
Relevancy 43%

I got a new laptop (HP dv6700t running Vista Home Premium) that I need to hook my external HDD (500GB WD in generic case) to via USB. Windows Explorer freezes and the external HDD activity light constanly runs as soon as it's plugged in and it unfreezes as soon as it's unplugged.

I deleted "INFCACHE.1" from "C:\\Windows\INF" at the instruction of a blog and it worked for a few minutes, but it froze during the transfer of a few movies and hasn't worked since.

All help is appreciated.

Relevancy 43%

I got a new laptop (HP dv6700t running Vista Home Premium) that I need to hook my external HDD (500GB WD in generic case) to via USB. Windows Explorer freezes and the external HDD activity light constanly runs as soon as it's plugged in and it unfreezes as soon as it's unplugged.

I deleted "INFCACHE.1" from "C:\\Windows\INF" at the instruction of a blog and it worked for a few minutes, but it froze during the transfer of a few movies and hasn't worked since.

All help is appreciated.

A:Cannot Connect To My External HDD

This thread suggests how to un-confuse Vista. Deleting the file did not trigger the self-healing protection in Vista. Follow the thread if there are important differences.

Have you applied all updates to Vista?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-connect-to-my-external-hdd.99883/
Relevancy 43%

hello,

i have a toshiba hdd from my old notebook that doen't work anymore (lenovo, bought about 1.5 years ago) with some data i want to rescue. there's win7 installed on it.

i tried to connect the drive to my new notebook (hp with windows 8, the old hdd is in a box with SATA/USB 2.0) but it doesn't show in the list. i tried several things, all ports are working fine, drivers are updated etc. but nothing worked.

can anyone help?

thanks.

A:how to connect external hdd?

You could try this fix from the windows 7 forums, don't know if it will help.
Solved External hard drive not showing up in Windows Explorer - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/16310-how-connect-external-hdd.html
Relevancy 43%

Hi everyone.

I have a desktop PC that connects to the internet with an ethernet cable through charter dsl. I have my friends dell laptop here and need to connect to the internet but when I take the plug out of my ethernet and put it into the back of the laptop it doesn't allow me to connect to the internet. Does anyone know how I can setup the laptop to allow me to connect to the internet using my dsl connection? I only need it to do it for right now.

A:Setup Laptop to connect to internet using dsl connect

IS the DSL box limiting MAC addresses of computers that can connect?
If so you need to add friend's MAC address.
After connecting the laptop did you reboot?
Chances are it will automatically sort itself out after the reboot.
If not, open Network connections Start > Settings > Network Connections,
Fnd the connection that you think should work (the same as on your computer),
Click Properties,
On General tab look for one of the last items, "Internet protocol TCP/IP"
Click on it
Click Properties
It might have a fixed IP address, so change it to Obtain IP automatically
Do the same for the DNS, or do whatever is on your computer.
OK few times and wait a bit. It might work.
If not, post some detail so that someone can help.

You can also post information from ipconfig:
Start > Run, type cmd
on the black screen type ipconfig /all and hit enter
copy the text and paste here

Finally, in the same cmd window try this
ipconfig /release
it will clear the current IP and make it 0.0.0.0
then type ipconfig /renew
in order to get a new IP. I don't think it will work if your earlier attempts failed though.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/247821/setup-laptop-to-connect-to-internet-using-dsl-connect/
Relevancy 43%

I could really use some help. I've tried so many things and I'm under so much stress I'm near to tears with this. I really don't know what to do. If you have the time please help me.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/my-laptop-would-connect-to-lan-but-not-the-internet-i-did-everything-now-it-wont-connect-to-lan.63944/
Relevancy 42.57%

About a month ago I got a virus on Freezes IE Connect on 8 my computer I believe it was worm win netsky It also lead to giving me the Internet Security virus I reopened in safe mode ran malware bytes ran smitfraudfix exe and then the basic Webroot virus sweep It seemed to work for the time being with one difference IE 8 Freezes on Connect I had to use Google Chrome as a browser because IE freezes when IE 8 Freezes on Connect attempting to connect and Firefox flat out won t open I don t even think it tries to open because I open task manager which I had to regain use fo by dleting a registry key that was blocking it and it doesn t show that it is running or not responding it just isn t there Google Chrome migth be acting weird as well I am not sure since I have never really used it before But if I do a google search and click on a link it doesn t bring me to a link it brings to some popup I went about my business and then it came back once again It occurred when I went to nfl com to look up some stats I did the same thing that I did the first time and it put me back in the same boat with my browsers but at least my computer was functioning It came back yet another time and this time it would even load up in safe mode but I battled through this stupid virus and got it back once again to the same state that I was able to return it to This time it came from going to a google search and clicking on a link I honestly don t recall what it was though It returned a fourth time and it was a little more severe this time The same issues occurred but When I went to my quarantine in Webroot I deleted a few files that were there that were malware and shut down the computer When I tried to restart it to do the process again it gave me a blue screen with a stop error Using the OS disk for Windows XP I was able to use recovery mode and get things situated again to the same spot This time the site I was trying to access was twoplustwo com So I sit now with a computer that won t even open Firefox and has weird issues with Google Chrome although if I remember to open the link a new tab instead of just left licking it I never get problems And IE of course just freezes at connect I figure I have no network connection issues because as I said I can open and use Google Chrome I run malware bytes and perform a virus sweep and it comes back clean yet I still have these browser issues I can t help but think that this is tied to the problem It is not detecting a virus at all but maybe I have not remedied damage done to the computer or something Would that make it easier for these pests to return Or has it never actually left int he first place It seems they were gone because I get them when I go to websites right as the page is loading I am thinking if I can possibly resolve this issue than maybe all f my issues will be resolved Maybe not but it is an issue regardless If anyone can offer help I would really appreciate it I have looked on google for a solution and I have not had much success so I figured this would be a good place to try to solve the problem If anyone needs more information from me to try to solve this problem I will be more than happy to provide it I won t be home for a few hours though but will provide it then Thanks for any potential help as I said it is definitely appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 42.57%

Been having this problem for a little while and can t seem to nail it down When connecting to on connect freezes IE8 IE sometimes the program freezes The tab at the top says connecting but the screen is completely white and IE8 freezes on connect it never connects I am able to select other minimized programs for example Outlook if i go to task manager there is usually incidents of Internet explorer and both say not responding if I click end task neither one will end and if i look at my CPU usage it is usually Prgged at I noticed that there are several processes called dumprep exe and if i stop those the frozen IE s will close I ve gone in and turned off the automatic reporting and now at least when IE freezes I can usually close it and CPU usage isn t at I still need to find out what the initial problem is and what s causing it to freeze My wife seems to think it happens most often after running iTunes I don t see that corelation but she uses it more than I do during the day Here is the hijackthis log I ran tonight Thanks Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSvcHst exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AppCore AppSvc exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Common Files Creative Labs Shared Service CreativeLicensing exe C WINDOWS system CTsvcCDA exe C WINDOWS eHome ehRecvr exe C WINDOWS eHome ehSched exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C WINDOWS system drivers KodakCCS exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG MDM EXE C Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton Internet Security Engine ccSvcHst exe C PROGRA NORTON NORTON NPROTECT EXE C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C PROGRA NORTON NORTON SPEEDD NOPDB EXE C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Common Files TiVo Shared Beacon TiVoBeacon exe C Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton Internet Security Engine ccSvcHst exe C WINDOWS ehome ehtray exe C WINDOWS system fxssvc exe C Program Files Dell Media Experience DMXLauncher exe C Program Files Creative SBAudigy Surround Mixer CTSysVol exe C WINDOWS system Rundll exe C Program Files Canon MyPrinter BJMyPrt exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C Program Files Google Google Talk googletalk exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C DOCUME JAMESB LOCALS Temp clclean C Program Files Common Files TiVo Shared Transfer TiVoTransfer exe C Program Files TiVo Desktop TiVoNotify exe C Program Files TiVo Desktop TiVoServer exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService ISUSPM exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy TeaTimer exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system dllhost exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS eHome ehmsas exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C PROGRA COMMON INSTAL UPDATE agent exe C PROGRA COMMON INSTAL UPDATE ISUSPM exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go mic... Read more

Relevancy 42.57%

My computer is an Alienware M x R yes yes gripe all you want I like them running Windows Premium bit Okay so since the in with freezes plugged randomly external HDD Computer day I Computer freezes randomly with external HDD plugged in got my M x it has been freezing randomly No one could find the source of this problem though I seem to have located it recently Whenever I have an external HDD plugged in my system will completely lock up randomly Can't move the mouse or do anything the last sound that was playing hangs Ie if a song was playing the song would go kind of quot zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz- quot continuously and I have to shut it off by holding the power button It can go for a week without locking up or it can lock up two times in a single day It also does this with some random programs Computer freezes randomly with external HDD plugged in that it just doesn't seem to like very much Can anyone help with this I just went out and bought a new HDD to see if it was a compatibility problem the old external I was using was fairly old and it just Computer freezes randomly with external HDD plugged in froze up again while using the new one My warranty is out and now it seems I'm out from this new HDD Please help Thanks Alex EDIT - I also forgot to mention that the programs that make it freeze tend to be things like antivirus such as quot Avast quot

A:Computer freezes randomly with external HDD plugged in

Anyone?...

I looked for errors and found something about the Dell DataSafe thing so I disabled it on startup... Haven't had any freezes yet but, like I said, it's always completely random (seemingly).

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/235072-computer-freezes-randomly-external-hdd-plugged.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I'm new here so here goes. I have a 1TB WD external hard drive here (USB 3.0) but it recently stopped working. The light blinks every half second. I try to access it with Explorer or 7-zip but they freeze, YET when i unplug the drive everything instantly comes back to normal and Explorer works fine again. I tried WD's Data Lifeguard, same problem. I tried other recovery software, same problem. Tried many USB cables and at least 3 computers, but I've encountered the same problem. What do I do? Should I just look for professional services? (I use Windows 7 Ultimate.)

A:WD external hard drive freezes my computer

sounds like a fault on the WD external harddrive thats causing an issue on the PC
i would get it replaced under the warranty , not sure how long the warranty is - but most drives come with more than 1 year.
the issue maybe getting data off the drive, if its the case thats broken, as some of the WD drives with encrypted using a chip thats on the Case USB circuitry
http://www.prosofteng.com/blog/western-digital-hardware-encryption/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wd-external-hard-drive-freezes-my-computer.1134077/
Relevancy 42.57%

I am hoping that this is the proper forum to seek assistance for problems with external hard drives. I will pose my question and see if anyone has had a similar problem and if so, how was it resolved:

I have a Maxtor external HDD and a Seagate FreeAgent external HDD and when I attempt to copy large files or videos to these drives I get an error message that tells me Windows XP Home failed to copy all of the files and suggests it is a network or driver problem - then usually my PC freezes up and I have to do a power shutdown and reboot. The file I attempted to copy is incomplete.

I have Win XP Home on a Compaq pc with 960 MB of RAM.

Seagate tells me it is a Windows problem - could it be a USB driver problem? if so how do I troubleshoot it?

Many thanks for any input.

Mary

A:PC freezes when copying large files to external HDD

Because AntiVirus is probably scanning the files
And Windows is using lots of memory
And the USB HardDrive may be fragmented or even in need of a check Disk
It's hard to tell.

You could try in Safe Mode (F8 Repeatively during system startup)
Then go to My Computer and try again
If it fails in Safe Mode, it's probably:
Faulty Ram: run Memtest for 7 Passes
Faulty HardDrive run CheckDisk on the drive (right click-Properties-Tools)
Or it can be Pagefile set too low (Right click My Computer-Properties-Advanced...)

I'd also recommend CCleaner (in Normal mode again) and Defrag both drives

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-freezes-when-copying-large-files-to-external-hdd.105033/
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi

I bought an external hard drive (Seagate FreeAgent) and it was working fine up until one day where I couldn't find it anymore in My computer or Device Manager. If I plugged it in while windows was running, my whole system would just freeze, Ctrl Alt Del wouldn't even work! I re-installed windows XP and started from scratch but this didn't work. I took the hard drive back and replaced it. This then worked on a family member's laptop but back on my computer it's the same old story.

Any help would be greatly received!

Thanks

I have just plugged in my ipod too and it froze so it may be a USB problem! However it doesn't freeze with a cheap mp3 player, i'm really confused, can anyone help??

A:External hard drive freezes windows

A friendly and needed bump to this question.

I am also having a similar problem as this. A while ago I installed a second hard drive and everything works fine on it currently. The problem is that afterwards whenever I try to plug in an external hard disk of any kind, through a USB port, the computer will immediately freeze. Now this includes ipods, cameras with memory disks, and others of that nature. I have tried searching all over the web and have yet to find an answer. It would after all be nice to update my ipod playlist .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-freezes-windows.617467/
Relevancy 42.57%

Im running Vista x64. Tried to transfer files from another computer to my home pc. Its a new 2.0 external harddrive (compatible with Vista) with 100gb/320gb used up. When I plug in the HD, the computer recognizes it and there is no problem. The problem comes when I open up explorer and try to view the files inside the external HD. The computer gets extremely slow (basically frozen) and the task manager says that the explorer uses 1,100,000 KB. The harddrive works on every other computer I have tried it on.... Whats the problem???

I need some help desperately. Thank you!

A:Computer freezes after plug in external harddrive

My guess would be it's not compatible with 64bit Vista. Were any of the other PC's 64bit?

Check with the external HDD manufacturer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-freezes-after-plug-in-external-harddrive.714288/
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi - Here's a puzzle for you - I wonder if anyone has a clue as to how I can sort this problem that has been going on for months My Athlon XP ghz GB RAM KT Ultra mobo WIn XP SP PC kept locking up screen freeze no freezes if not drive System External in... plugged activity possible at random times up to or times a day so I ran System freezes if External drive not plugged in... virus checks spyware checks disk tests replaced one of my RAID array disks monitored temperature replaced the PSU etc etc Reinstalled Windows and all my essential software all to no avail There were no relevant looking alerts in the System freezes if External drive not plugged in... system logs so it didn't seem like a software failure which was to be expected IMO It looked to me like time for a new system and I started pricing it up Then one day I plugged my USB external hard disk back in to the usb hub it having been unplugged for some time and it stopped happening Ran it for a few days no problems Unplugged the disk and the freezes started again I have since then kept the disk plugged in and have had no real problems so it seems as though it is something to do with this A caveat is that if I switch my computer on and wander away leaving it for a while I sometimes come back and find it frozen but if I do stuff on it straight after boot up it's fine for the rest of the day Has anyone got the faintest idea what might be going on or how I might go about tracking it down I have worked with computers daily for years and I have never come across anything like this one Thanks in advance for your thoughts amp contributions the Woosh

A:System freezes if External drive not plugged in...

What do you have on the the external drive?

maybe your computer is trying to search for something on that drive?

or maybe it needs something there.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/system-freezes-if-external-drive-not-plugged-in-191636.html
Relevancy 42.57%

All of a sudden, having my HP external drive plugged into my computer freezes the computer. It will stop a boot up, or freeze a program from running. This happens when I plug it into either of 2 Different Windows XP computers! When I unplug it, all works. The only two things I was doing prior to this happening was updating my Norton Virus definitions and I also plugged in my GPS for the first time to get downloads. Any ideas.

Relevancy 42.57%

Can't connect external monitor to my dell Inspiron 15,
it works with my 65 inch tv but not with my crt monitor
please help

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19995773
Relevancy 42.57%

I have had a Yoga for years and have in the past connected to a couple of monitors using the HDMI port and cable nbsp nbsp For the past three months I was on the road and monitor to Cannot connect external never used an external monitor nbsp nbsp Now I try to connect to a monitor that I used before with a cable I used before and the monitor does not detect a signal I have tried another monitor with the same cable Still get the messsage no signal detected I have switched to two other cables - same issue nbsp I have updated the Intel graphics driver etc I have spent several hours updating various drivers etc nbsp I suspect one of two things nbsp I may have upgraded to Windows in the last three months and that is the cause of the problem nbsp nbsp The micro mini HDMI port on the Yoga is dead nbsp Any ideas on what to do next

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Cannot-connect-to-external-monitor/td-p/3355816
Relevancy 42.57%

hello everyone

I am trying to connect two external drives to my computer and i am using
a four into one usb connection, but it does not seem to work, I do not get the two drives to show up in my computer menu, and they do not work.
When I plug them in to my computer seperately they do show up as "F" and "G"
drives, and they work OK.
Can anyone please help

regards calmat

A:cannot connect two external drives

Is the hub mains powered?

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/296198-cannot-connect-two-external-drives.html
Relevancy 42.57%

a webcam so that I can hear audio. I've plugged the microphone into the back of the computer and turned on my speakers but get no sound from the speakers when I talk into the microphone. Don't understand why I hear no sound. I'm trying to set up for a webcam.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-connect-my-external-microphone-to.875137/
Relevancy 42.57%

I have an old XP Home desktop tahe I still use to edit music.  The software I use works great on XP and that's about all I use the computer for.

But.... I have a 1.5 TB hooked up to the XP desktop and I seem unable to find a working method to enable me to 'see' that HDD on my other networked computers.  

I seem to have no problem getting my other external drives to be readable (and writable) from my other 2 Windows 7 computers (1 a laptop, and the other a desktop).  Each of them has a large external drive plugged into a USB port.  But the external drive on my XP machine is, so far, not accessible from any of those other computers.

My modem/router is directly connected to the XP, and it has no USB ports.  The external drive has no ethernet ports.  

A:How Do I Connect External HDD To Network

Lemmie see if I can remember bitsNpieces of my following my dad's son-in-law's hired network/database dude in my dad's company.
  First, how is the external HD attached?  How does your Windows XP communicate, read from, write to, this external drive?
[I remember the olde IDE, older SATA, new SATA connections.  Is this ext HD always connected to the computer.  Does it have an assigned drive letter?
** I only have Windows XP Mode, a Virtual Machine XP.  I never worked on a networked computer with full Windows XP; except as
a substitute teacher at 3 different ISDs; and nobody changes anything on any school computer except teachers and their IT people.
Can you share this external drive?  Within my Windows 7 Pro, I can right-click on my internal partitions and share them.  Once I've shared them,  if I properly boot the computers, starting with Number One computer, all three computers see each other's shared partitions.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592926/how-do-i-connect-external-hdd-to-network/
Relevancy 42.57%

Hello,OK I've just bought a Lenovo Yoga 700 laptop.  Looks great and the reviews are good.My previous (clapped out) Samsung netpad was connected to an external Dell monitor using a cable with what I think is called a VGA connection at both ends. What's the simplest / cheapest way of connecting the monitor to the Yoga?   I seem to need a micro HDMI connection for the Yoga.  Is there any alternative to a new cable - they look pricey when I did a search.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/How-do-I-connect-an-external-monitor-to-my-new-Yoga-700/td-p/3318043
Relevancy 42.57%

My daughter's desktop computer won't start up at all. When she hits the button, nothing happens. She needs to know if there is any way to connect a desktop's internal HD to her laptop as an external HD temporarily so she can get her banking records off of it. No backups, of course.

If not, shouldn't she be able to install it as slave into another computer and boot up and retrieve the files?

Thanks for any suggestions
Peg

A:Internal HD connect as in external

You can get an external enclosure, put the drive in there and then connect it to the laptop with a USB cable. Find out if it's an IDE or SATA drive. Here's an example of an IDE enclosure http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817193019 and a SATA enclosure http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817201025. There are also a few that will handle both IDE and SATA.

She could also put it in another desktop (one that will hold more than one hard drive) as a slave drive.

If she gets an access denied error, take ownership of the files or folders http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internal-hd-connect-as-in-external.682323/
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi, I'm trying to connect my laptop to two external monitors and extend across the three of them. What would be the best way to achieve this. (my laptop has 1 x hdmi port and the screens have 1 x dvi, 1 x vga, 1 x display port) Many thanks, rtselby

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/connect-2-external-monitors/td-p/5781762
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi there,
I'm trying to connect to a website hosted from my home computer using wampserver, however I can only access it either by typing 'localhost' or '192.168.2.2' in my browser. If I go to my external ip, 81.96.32.204, it takes me to the Belkin router setup page. Here's the weird thing, if I type my external IP into a proxy then the website I wanted to see appears, does anybody know why this is, or how I can fix it?
I'm on Windows XP SP3 with a Belkin F5D7231-4, version 1103UK Wireless G Router, and have port 80 forwarded on my router virtual servers list.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Bri.

Relevancy 42.57%

Cant servers Connect External Cannot to download drivers cant go on windows update server can download from Dell website for drivers cd and dvd drive also dont work hence requireing drivers World of Warcraft launcher quot cannot connect to news server quot etc the dell Cannot Connect to External servers website did helpfully provide this report though PLATFORM VERSION INFO Windows Win NT Common Language Runtime System Deployment dll netfxsp - mscorwks dll GDR - dfdll dll netfxsp - dfshim dll netfxsp - SOURCES Deployment url http xserv dell com dm DownloadMan IsSecure false ERROR SUMMARY Below is a summary of the errors details of these errors are listed later in the log Activation of http xserv dell com dm DownloadMan IsSecure false resulted in exception Following failure messages were detected Downloading http xserv dell com dm DownloadMan IsSecure false did not succeed Unable to connect to the remote server No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY No transaction error was detected WARNINGS There were no warnings during this operation OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS Activation of http xserv dell com dm DownloadMan IsSecure false has started ERROR DETAILS Following errors were detected during this operation System Deployment Application DeploymentDownloadException Unknown subtype - Downloading http xserv dell com dm DownloadMan IsSecure false did not succeed - Source System Deployment - Stack trace at System Deployment Application SystemNetDownloader DownloadSingleFile DownloadQueueItem next at System Deployment Application SystemNetDownloader DownloadAllFiles at System Deployment Application FileDownloader Download SubscriptionState subState at System Deployment Application DownloadManager DownloadManifestAsRawFile Uri amp sourceUri String targetPath IDownloadNotification notification DownloadOptions options ServerInformation amp serverInformation at System Deployment Application DownloadManager DownloadDeploymentManifestDirectBypass SubscriptionStore subStore Uri amp sourceUri TempFile amp tempFile SubscriptionState amp subState IDownloadNotification notification DownloadOptions options ServerInformation amp serverInformation at System Deployment Application DownloadManager DownloadDeploymentManifestBypass SubscriptionStore subStore Uri amp sourceUri TempFile amp tempFile SubscriptionState amp subState IDownloadNotification notification DownloadOptions options at System Deployment Application ApplicationActivator PerformDeploymentActivation Uri activationUri Boolean isShortcut String textualSubId String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension BrowserSettings browserSettings String amp errorPageUrl at System Deployment Application ApplicationActivator ActivateDeploymentWorker Object state --- Inner Exception --- System Net WebException - Unable to connect to the remote server - Source System - Stack trace at System Net HttpWebRequest GetResponse at System Deployment Application SystemNetDownloader DownloadSingleFile DownloadQueueItem next --- Inner Exception --- System Net Sockets SocketException - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it - Source System - Stack trace at System Net Sockets Socket DoConnect EndPoint endPointSnapshot SocketAddress socketAddress at System Net Sockets Socket InternalConnect EndPoint remoteEP at System Net ServicePoint ConnectSocketInternal Boolean connectFailure Socket s Socket s Socket amp socket IPAddress amp address ConnectSocketState state IAsyncResult asyncResult Int timeout Exception amp exception COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS No transaction information is available which to me looks like my firewalls are up and extremely aggresive but turned off windows fire wall and the version of AVG free i'm using appears to have none have nontice in my quot internet connections quot window that Skype and Spotify have port details set up and work fine any idea what this madness is help would be ama... Read more

A:Cannot Connect to External servers

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLAVocals

+ No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it 127.0.0.1:5577

I wonder if "actively refused" means the site is blacklisted, i.e. by malware. They sometimes prevent you from accessing sites that will allow you to become aware of their existance, and/or fix them, such as windows update, mcafee, symantec, etc...

If it's firewall, then turning off/disabling the firewall should fix the problem.

Have you tried that?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-connect-to-external-servers-533588.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I have formated the system i am not able to use d shortcut keys (F1 to F12) is not working please provide the steps to do properly......             Thank You.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/I-am-not-able-to-connect-external-display/td-p/5733703
Relevancy 42.57%

I want to connect my lapyop to my DVR (external harddrive). How do I set up this connection?

Relevancy 42.57%

Can I attach the keyboard that I use with my desktop computer (i.e., it has a cord that plugs into the back of the desktop with a round "jack" that appears to have 6 pins) to my notebook pc?  If I cannot plug it in directly, is there an "interface cable" or fitting of some kind that can be plugged into the notebook and that will also accept the keyboard's plug?  Do I have to have a wireless keyboard?  

A:connect external hardware

jamesthompson Hello;Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!The connector that you are talking about used to be called a PS/2 connector -- and they were used for both keyboards and mice.  The keyboard had a purple connector; the mouse had light green. And yes, you can buy an adapter such that the keyboard ps/2 connector plugs into that, and the adapter plugs into any USB port on the laptop.Good Luck

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/connect-external-hardware/td-p/5741833
Relevancy 42.14%

I have an HP 512 ram mem, pent 4, and have done all of the obvious things, spy ware, defrag, rid cookies, etc. when I connect to the internet ( dial up) everything freezes and I have to reboot, thats if I get to open a page. Before I connect everythings works fine.
what do I do?
tnanx

A:pc freezes after I connect to internet

has ya removed ya temp internet files and checked you internet settings. also have you contacted you isp?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-freezes-after-i-connect-to-internet.486962/
Relevancy 42.14%

My daughter is doing some home school HD an while on running freezes external application an randomly Computer programs that are ran from an external HD Sometimes it works and other times it will randomly freeze or kick her out of the program and go back to the desktop The application changes the resolution of the screen while in use so when the application has issues it will leave the resolution at the readjusted size The drive never makes any disconnect sounds so I don't know if the drive is being unmounted and remounted The program is Computer randomly freezes while running an application on an external HD able to be reloaded just fine if it goes back to the desktop but if it freezes then I have to do a reset The first time it had issues it gave this error One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognize it Device Properties says Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems Code When device is unplugged and the system is restarted the device says There might be a problem with some files on this device or disc This can happen if you remove the device or disc before all files have been written to it when it is plugged back in It give the options to Scan and fix recommended or to continue without scanning I selected Scan and fix and since Computer randomly freezes while running an application on an external HD it has not given any error it Computer randomly freezes while running an application on an external HD just freezes or kicks out of the application Does this sound like an issue with the USB drives on my computer registry program installs some stuff to the computer or an issue with the external HD I know that the HDs returned and are reused after the school year is over it may be possible it is old and getting wore out Just want to fix my computer if that is the issue before talking to the company Thanks for your help

A:Computer randomly freezes while running an application on an external HD

Remove the USB external drive...run the chkdsk /r program on the Windows partition.

Re-attach the external drive, run the chkdsk /r command on the exernal drive.

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/510783/computer-randomly-freezes-while-running-an-application-on-an-external-hd/
Relevancy 42.14%

Could someone please help me with this .dmp file? I was dj'ing outside with my laptop two days ago and a gust of wind launched it off the laptop stand and slammed it onto the paved sidewalk. I believe there is something wrong with the hd.

I've been trying to copy my music library onto an external hd but 2 or 3 minutes into the copying process the comp freezes and restarts.

Any help would be appreciated. I'll have to send it back to Dell but i'd like to know what's going on before I talk to them at customer service.

Thanks,
-MB

A:Computer freezes and restarts while copying files to an external HD

>Something wrong with the hd

Given the report of what happened it is likely.

It may be possible that the drive is okay.
I would use CrystalDiskInfo to do a quick-check on the the drive.
Then, unless you get a flag that your drive health is bad, I would follow that with ChkDsk.
ChkDsk may allow you to recover / repair at least part of your drive.

To use chkdsk,
using windows explorer, right click on your drive then, click properties.
Click the tab that says "tools" .
Under "error checking" click the button that says "check now".

In any case, given the "abuse" that has accidentally happened, I would suggest changing the hard drive, and reinstalling windows.
It may be possible to recover some of your data afterward, using a product like Apricorn's DriveWire.
http://www.apricorn.com/product_detail.php?type=family&id=39
Or perhaps even just a usb enclosure for your drive...
but read that as "maybe", not "should be possible".

You may have issues beyond the hard drive.
Let us know how these starting ideas go for you, and we'll go from there.

HTH

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-freezes-and-restarts-while-copying-files-to-an-external-hd.153248/
Relevancy 42.14%

My Elements drive,  wdbaau0010hbk-01, is only detected by Device Manager and nothing else. The light on the actual drive is flashing consistently. When I open Disk Management, the app freezes and I can't use it. I've tried Data Lifeguard and it won't load with the drive plugged in, as well. When I 'disable' the the drive in Device Manager, or uninstall the 'USB Mass Storage Device', Device manager freezes with both of those. The drive is not making any unusual sounds, it sounds normal. I've also tried it in another pc and the same issue remained. Please help me. Thank you.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,158807.0.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I have an Intel D946GZIS mother board ,Core 2 duo-1.86 GHZ processor.,400 W power suply,SATA Seagate-160 GB.

The external HDD is Seagate Barracuda-160 GB IDE.

Off late Ive been getting errors stating that there is a power surge on USB when I connect the external IDE HDD and all the USB slots are dead until the PC is restarted inspite of my HDD having an external power source.Why does this happen?

When I disable 2.0 in BIOS there is no such problem.But the USB connection is very slow.What could be the cause of the problem.What is the solution?

A:External IDE drive with power supply connected via USB 2.0 freezes PC .why?

If the External is faulty you could wind up with probs with the system itself. I would stop trying to force something into a system that may well have a current problem and see if I couldn't test it after I purchased a new usb wire for the thing at the very least.
Your External could very well be bad. Jazz

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-ide-drive-with-power-supply-connected-via-usb-2-0-freezes-pc-why.792473/
Relevancy 42.14%

I m running WinXP sp I ve had my external hd for quite some time not sure what changed but turned it on for but freezes External up Hard drive when accessed in PM shows the first time in awhile and it would quot ding quot like plug and play recognized it but nothing happened I go to Windows Explorer and it freezes I have to turn off the switch to the External Harddrive it s an Ultra to get anything to load Then I try to External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed turn it back on and I look at Device Manager I can see it in there but when I right-click on it to see what s going on it freezes Any program that would access the HD freezes when it External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed s turned on I External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed ve been browsing the net for hours for a fix Here s what I ve tried nothing has worked Changing the jumper settings using tweakui to change drive letters changing usb cables power down and try all over any ideas BTW- my harddrive is not clicking or doing anything out of the ordinary it won t mount in Safe mode either nbsp

A:External Hard drive shows up in PM but freezes when accessed

TweakUI to change drive letters? No wonder you are having trouble. What version of TweakUI?

Drive letter changes need to be made in Disk Management. I don't recall any TweakUI's tha changed drive letters since Win 98 and that program is for a whole different family of operating systems.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-shows-up-in-pm-but-freezes-when-accessed.785498/
Relevancy 42.14%

I have a Toshiba Satellite and when I plug in the external power supply the computer freezes and I have to do a hard shut down. This has also happened when I unplug the power supply, thought not as often.

Curiously if I keep the mouse moving when I unplug it does not freeze. I've tried keeping the mouse moving when I plug in the power supply and sometimes it works but most of the time it does not.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

A:Computer freezes when pluging in external power supply

Hi Bob,
Is this a new problem or has it always been like that with your laptop?
First thing come to my mind was that your charger may be too small for your computer.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-freezes-when-pluging-in-external-power-supply-483266.html
Relevancy 42.14%

When I attempt to move data (eg. a avi movie less than 1 GB) from my c: drive to my WD Elements USB External hard drive, Windows freezes. It will start to move the file and then freeze being finishing the task. Windows explorer doesn't respond and if I try to close that program in Task Manager and reboot, the computer freezes and will not reboot. I have to push the button on the front of the case to get it to restart.

I have installed the new firmware for the Intel chipset (I've already looked into the Nvidia patch) and I'm running Microsoft Security Essentials as my anti-virus.

The external hard drive is a Western Digital Elements 2 TB and is formatted in NTFS.

Thanks in advance.

A:Windows Freezes/Crashes when moving data to external HD

...no one has any help?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/188430-windows-freezes-crashes-when-moving-data-external-hd.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I leave my workstation idle over lunch and leave my web browsers ( FF and Chrome) active on my external monitor, which is a Samsung Syncmaster B2030.   I have used this same setup for the past 3 years with no issues   Now when I come back from lunch both my browser sessions are hung.  I kill them both with task manager and look for any errant proccesses but this never works.   The screen will paint in very slowly over the window I am selecting and show shadow images.   This always requires a full system restart to clear it.   I have checked all the drivers and messed with every setting I can but nothing helps Anyone got any ideas?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-P-and-W-Series-Mobile/Lenovo-Thinkpad-W540-External-screen-freezes-every-day-at-lunch/td-p/3390339
Relevancy 42.14%

I bought an HP v w GB USB flash drive off of Amazon and when I plugged it into my USB port and tried to transfer files to it my computer froze and I had to hold the power button to shut it down This happens every time I try to access the flash drive Additionally I have other external hard drives that has always Drive Accessed Computer External Hard is Freezes When worked for me for years and now those too are freezing my computer when I try to access them It seems like the HP flash drive affected my computer in such a way that it is preventing other devices from working properly I have gone into Device Manager and uninstalled the USB Host drivers and restarted my computer That did not solve the problem I have tried using different USB ports on my computer and that has not made a difference I have tried uninstalling the drivers for the individual external hard drives and then have them be reinstalled the next time I plug them in That has not worked For some reason though when I connect my old external hard drives through a powered USB hub I do not experience the freezing What sucks is that I think my USB Hub is USB so it takes forever for anything to transfer Every time I plug in the HP flash drive into the USB Hub I get a message saying the driver could not be properly loaded or that I don't have access to the drive et cetera I am pretty sure the HP flash drive is no good and needs to be returned but does anyone know what I can do to prevent my old external hard drives from freezing my computer without the use of a USB hub

A:Computer Freezes When External Hard Drive is Accessed

Hello and welcome Ben mate a little more specs would help mate because to see what speed USB the machine supports we need at least the model and more inportnatly the motherboard.
Use this to find those details out.
Using HW Info
You can test the volts on the PSU with HW Info HWiNFO, HWiNFO32/64 - Download < download the right bit version and close the right hand window select Sensors and scroll down to the power section where you will see what the volts are doing see my pic.
The original right hand window shows the machine running and is handy for that but for looking at the components in some detail close it and use the main left hand side panel
FOR OTHER COMPONENTS
Open each + down into the component itself and then click on it - in the right hand side will appear all sorts of details including brands speeds and other essential info that device. See pic for example.
Use the lower part and find the model of the motherboard please.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/364179-computer-freezes-when-external-hard-drive-accessed.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi,

I have got a Western Digital Elements External Hard Drive Model WDBAAU0010HBK on it I have many home videos etc.
I would like to know if I could connect it to one or both of these devices which are connected to the TV to watch the movies:
the DVD player is Nortek NDVX 2504 which has a USB2 connection, or
a digital television receiver box which is Sansui DVB 01. This also has a USB2 connection.

Thanks for your help

A:Can I connect my External drive to a DVD Player or something else?

I could be wrong...but...the external drive is nothing but a computer file cabinet.

The programs that allow you to read the files on that drive...are probably on your C: partition, either as part of Windows or as a program installed on Windows.

Connecting the drive to some other mechanism is possible, but that mechanism must have a function of reading the files...in order for you to be able to watch the videos. If your DVD player can read/play files from a hard drive with USB connection...then it would be possible. It's easy enough to check the specs/capabilities of the player.

Example...if you have a device that can access/read files on an external drive...that would seemingly allow you to achieve your stated objective. It's the reader function that is important...for the file locations to have any significance.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/344489/can-i-connect-my-external-drive-to-a-dvd-player-or-something-else/
Relevancy 42.14%

I have a portable speaker from Brookstone with a USB connector.  When I plug that into my Acer I get no sound.  Am I missing some important step or setting, or just whistling in the wind?

A:How do I connect an external speaker to my Acer As...

installed OS? check on playback devices under audio if the USB speaker is set as default speaker and is enabled.

http://community.acer.com/t5/XP-Vista-or-earlier/How-do-I-connect-an-external-speaker-to-my-Acer-Aspire-6442-in/td-p/351125
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi,

I'm having problems to connect this Laptop to an external projector.

When i connect the cable, he recognize the projector and screen appears, but after 15/30 seconds the screen goes black and computer keeps trying to connect again to projector, and problem keeps when its connected.

The connection to projector is made trough VGA cable with approx. 10 meters, i tested on several other projectors with other cables and the problem continues.

The computer is new and i have installed the latest drivers. What can i do to solve this issue?

Thanks.

A:Cannot connect Satellite Z30-A-1D8 to external projector

Did you try to use an shorter cable?
Not quite sure but it could be possible that the issue appears due to the long (10m) cable.
How about the usage of HDMI cable? Did you test it?

At the other hand I would recommend you also a graphic card driver.

By the way: to toggle between the external and internal monitor, you should use the Fn + F5 key combination.
Note: if you use the simultaneous mode you must set the resolution of the internal display panel to match the resolution of the external display.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?80302-Cannot-connect-Satellite-Z30-A-1D8-to-external-projector
Relevancy 42.14%

I have a Toshiba Satellite P855. it has an i5 processor, 8 gig of RAM, 64 bit os. running windows 8. 3 USB ports. Im not sure if they are all usb2. MY problem is that i can't connect any of my external hard drives to my laptop. When I plug them in to my desktop running windows xp, and my other laptop running windows 7, everything is fine, but my laptop running windows 8 doesn't even recognize that anything is plugged in to my usb ports. very frustrating. i have a lot of files, pictures music, and video files that i would like to have easy access to on my new laptop. any ideas? any and all help is appreciated.

thank you

Relevancy 42.14%

I use an external xdsl modem. I just received an HPv40 fax/copier/printer. I want to be able to use my fax even if I am online. I can't figure out the correct connection configuration. By the way, the HPv40 uses a usb connection.

Thank you for any help at all!

A:Connect Fax & External adsl Modem

You need a filter for the phone line that you're connecting the device to, and then the fax machine can dial out while you're on the internet. It's the same as all the other phones in your house.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connect-fax-external-adsl-modem.63019/
Relevancy 42.14%

It has a parallel connector and my newer computers don't have parallel ports. Is there an adaptor cable to connect it to the USB port?

A:How can i connect an external floppy drive?

Hi alanbk

Looking for something like this?
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.a..._-2426621151&gclid=CP_ihozGlJYCFQgRFQodcSCYEw

More here:
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&newwindow=1&q=adapter+parallel+port+to+usb&btnG=Search

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-connect-an-external-floppy-drive.756860/
Relevancy 42.14%

I ve got a Windows network that I m maintaining and am having an interesting problem with it From our Exchange server I am completely unable to communicate with one of our partner s mail server I cannot ping it by either the host name or IP address Trace route times out at the final hop The firewall is disabled and antivirus ESET is temporarily disabled I to connect network one Can't our just from external an on IP computer cannot access the IP through the web browser either everything times out However every other computer on our network can connect fine I haven t seen any other problems with any other IP addresses it seems to be only this one that I can t connect to and only from our Exchange server All computers are going through the same gateway using the same internet connection and using the same DNS servers The computer that I m having the problem on is a static IP All settings look correct and match another server that I can access the IP from I ve checked the hosts file for anything Can't connect to an external IP from just one computer on our network and it is in it s default state Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated I m losing my last little bit of hair that I have over this Thanks in advance Chris nbsp

A:Can't connect to an external IP from just one computer on our network

I reset the Exchange server's TCP IP stack this morning. After rebooting, it worked. It had switched from a static IP to DHCP though, which won't work for us. Upon changing the IP back to its old static address, the same problem came up.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-connect-to-an-external-ip-from-just-one-computer-on-our-network.1088612/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hello, I have a Simpletech Simpledrive External Hard drive. It works on my desktop running xp. When I connect to my Asus N56DP Laptop, I hear the binging and all. But I do not see it in my control panel. I can see it in the device manager. Not in Disc MAnagement. Is there something I can do to get it to install and be accessible? I have some race car pictures I would like to post to Facebook.
Oh yeah, when I run the troubleshooter, it see a problem but cannot correct it.
Thank you in Advance!
Blessings

A:I cannot get my External Hard drive to connect

It most likely does not have a drive letter assigned to it, please check again in your disk mgmt and see if there are drives with no letters.

If you can attach a screen cap of your disk management we can verify if it is or is not being recognized.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/29566-i-cannot-get-my-external-hard-drive-connect.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I use my laptop at home and can connect to my WEP wireless network OK. I have just been on holiday and could connect to open networks with no problems. However when I tried to connect to any protected hotel or hotspot network I always got a message saying acquiring network address and then failure. I was using the correct key but failed every time.
It also failed on my daughters secure netowrk, where it had worked before.
Now I am home it connected immediately to my own network again.
Any idea what it could be?

Cheers
Jim

A:Cannot connect to external protected networks

Unlikely, but maybe the other networks are using WPA or WPA2 and your adapter doesn't support it. A driver update may add that capability.

Maybe the other networks are using an ascii passcode with WEP and your computer/adapter translate it differently (which is why one should always use a HEX key when WEP is necessary).

Maybe something else but it would be necessary to have access to the AP to do trouble shooting.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-connect-to-external-protected-networks.721251/
Relevancy 42.14%

Hey I have a Windows Vista and recently I had alittle accident where my laptop fell from my bed windowsvista not get to monitor can external connect to so this caused the screen to crack I got a new monitor a dcl lcd monitor and when I first got it it would only let me veiw the external monitor via safe mode One day I was messing with it and I actually got the monitor can not get windowsvista to connect to external monitor to work in normal windows mode It worked can not get windowsvista to connect to external monitor for about a week but one day I forgot to plug my laptop back in so it ran out of battery and ever since I have not been able to get it to work in normal windows mode I have tried starting it normally and pressing Fn F and nothing happens that I can see because my laptop screen lights up when in Windows mode but the screen is so cracked I cannot see a thing can not get windowsvista to connect to external monitor i've also tried going into windows normally and pressing the windows button X to bring up the quot mobility center quot but as I said previously I cannot see anything I've tried going into the mobility center via safe mode but it does not let me do ANYTHING in safe mode with minor exceptions of being able to go online to try and figure this out I'm thankful for any help anyone can give me Thank you

A:can not get windowsvista to connect to external monitor

All I can recommend is you get the laptop screen replaced.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/can-not-get-windowsvista-to-connect-to-external-monitor-662351.html
Relevancy 42.14%

We got two new Dell XPS 13 for users and there does not seem to be any video out ports like on previous models.  This runs Windows 10 Professional and has an internal screen resolution of 1920x1080.  Looks like there is 2 USB 3.0 super speed ports and possibly a (thunderbolt)??? port?
I've heard of USB-C so I'm not sure if this one port on the left side is that, or if its thunderbolt.  I googled thunderbolt to hdmi adapter and in all the images I find it always shows a mini display port on one end despite the descriptions saying thunderbolt.

So whats the cheapest way to get HDMI out on this laptop?

A:How do I connect an external monitor to a new Dell XPS 13?

Hi,
The Thunderbolt( USB Type C port) on the Left Hand side deals with the video output on the system. You will need to purchase a USB Type C to HDMI adapter to display video.
The cable is available on the Dell website here

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19667331
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi - I am not able to connect an external screen to the laptop. Nothing happens when I connect the screen to the laptop. Screen says: no signal. Laptop does nothing. Mirring says didn't found another screen. Might be realted:Ther is an error in Device Manager: ISB-IF xHCI USB Host Controller has an exlamation mark in a yellow triangle. Thanks,Zoltan 

Zoltan

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Cannot-connect-external-monitor-via-HDMI/td-p/5800463
Relevancy 42.14%

Specs
Toshiba a665-s6050 Laptop
Core i3 M350
8GB RAM Dual Channel
Intel Graphics

I have no idea how external video card works so here are my questions i hope somebody will be able to answer these

1.) i have no background knowledge about this so, is this even possible for a notebook?
2.)if this works, what kind of slot/port do i need to make it work
3.)are there 3rd party devices that i need to purchase (adapters etc.)
4.)specifically what kind of graphics card can i hook up with my laptop?

i would really appreciate legit replies, and if possible for me to understand the topic, i know its too much to ask, can i get a graphical presentation(diagram) or youtube links that can help me thanks and godbless

A:How to connect external Graphics Card

1. Yes but it won't be a good idea given the specs of that laptop especially the low end i3 which would bottleneck graphics performance.
2. A spare mPCIe or Express Slot
3. Yes adapters and an external PSU to power the card.
4. Anything but your laptop will create a bottleneck.

DIY eGPU experiences

It would be better to invest in a gaming PC, it's not worth pairing an external GPU with such a low end laptop.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/295526-how-connect-external-graphics-card.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I'm thinking of buying Tecra Z50, but one of the features I need is the option to connect two external monitors.

Is it possible to have one monitor connected to HDMI and one to VGA (with notebook lid closed)?

*Hi-speed port replicator III is not an option since it is not available in my country (Croatia).

A:Tecra Z50 - need to connect two external monitors

Hi

I don?t think that you will be able to connect two external monitors to this notebook using the HDMI and RGB port simultaneously due to different kind of signal.

The RGB/VGA port supports analogue signal.

The HDMI port provides the digital video output and when the external monitor is connected to the HDMI port the display out device is set to HDMI.

> *Hi-speed port replicator III is not an option since it is not available in my country (Croatia).
How about the Dynadock? Its an external device connected to the notebook?s USB port.
It supports own graphic unit and you could connect another 2nd external monitor to such Dynadock.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?78002-Tecra-Z50-need-to-connect-two-external-monitors
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi guys

I have 1TB external Iomega harddrive which i want to connect with Dlink router by which i can share my files on my all 4 computers through router. My router have all ethernet ports not any USB point. I also have a connector which attach USB cable to ethernet. If i link through connector how i can access that drive on my computer? Please help me...

Relevancy 42.14%

Hello guys I've been looking for help however I cannot access my media server at all, even though I was connecting to to it last night. However in the middle of the night it disconnected and I couldn't access it anymore. The server was on and my computer is DMZed and I haven't installed anything really different other than windows update and the Media server Emby update either? however I had installed the server update before the disconnectivty issue. Could someone please shed some light on this topic please?

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/47305-cannot-connect-media-server-via-external-ip.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi Please bare with me as Im not a very tech savvy person We have four computers laptops and a desktop The desktop is about years old but we just got it for my son We had to buy an external Webgear wireless card that fits in the usb port to go online The three other computers all use internal wirelss cards We have a Belkin wireless router and a lynx router for dsl All use Vista Everything was working fine with all computers able to go online effortlessly until a few days ago thru connect Cannot wireless card external All of a sudden after being unable to download a picture from Funnystuff dot com the desktop stopped being able to go online at all I did all the regular diagnostics that vista suggests We also uninstalled and reinstalled the Netgear wireless card When that didnt work we called Belkin because our DSL provider thought it wass related to the Belkin router Belkin walked us through installing and uninstalling a password and a new name for the wireless network The new name even showed up when we tried to go online with the desktop but even though Cannot connect thru external wireless card the new name amp password worked for the other computers and they could go online the desktop sees the belkin as one of the available wireless networks but keeps saying that the password isnt correct which cant be the case as it works with the other computers We still cant get online and Belkin says its not an issue with their router I am at my wit s end we have done everything three time and still cant get back online with the desktop through the netgear nbsp

Relevancy 42.14%

My Motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth 990fx R2.0, I have everything up to date. When ever I plug in my Toshiba 3TB HDD it gives me a BSOD about something in Sysport.sys Error in non-paged area. I removed Daemon tools since lots of people say it causes BSOD.
Attachment 281766

A:Random BSOD when I connect my External HDD

Greetings, dear.
Please try to install the storage driver, it's caused by file storport.sys, the driver of storage port.
I suggest you can get the installer from its official site.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/301392-random-bsod-when-i-connect-my-external-hdd.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I have two problems cannot connect 8 Firefox external to but can IE addresses, with IE not sure if they are related First IE will not connect to external addresses e g yahoo com google com or my router at It does however connect to Google Desktop works All I get is Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage What you can try Diagnose Connection Problems More information This problem can be caused by a variety of issues including Internet connectivity has been lost The website is temporarily unavailable The Domain Name Server DNS is not reachable The Domain Name Server DNS does not have a listing for the website's domain There might be a typing error in the address If this is an HTTPS secure address click Tools click Internet IE 8 cannot connect to external addresses, but Firefox can Options click Advanced and check to be sure the SSL and TLS protocols are enabled under the security section For offline usersYou can still view subscribed feeds and some recently viewed webpages To view subscribed feeds Click the Favorites Center button click Feeds and then click the feed you want to view To view recently visited webpages might not work on all pages Click Tools IE 8 cannot connect to external addresses, but Firefox can and then click Work Offline Click the Favorites Center button click History and then click the page you want to view Second A few moments after closing IE I get the following popup error iexplore exe - Application Error The instruction at quot x ff d quot referenced IE 8 cannot connect to external addresses, but Firefox can memory at quot x d dd ab quot The memory could not be quot read quot Click on OK to terminate program If I click on quot Diagnose Connection Problems quot connectivity is fine quot Windows did not detect any problems with your internet connection quot Firefox works just fineI've tried Tools- gt Internet Options- gt Advanced- gt Reset Reinstalling IE from the Microsoft support siteReset advanced settingsTools- gt Internet Options- gt Connections- gt LAN Settings No boxes are checked e g no proxy is set What else should I try Thanks Scott

A:IE 8 cannot connect to external addresses, but Firefox can

Open Device Manager and see if there are any red x's or yellow flags next to your network adapter. Next, open a command prompt, Windows Key + R, type cmd and then type the following without the quotes and paste all the results back here, "ipconfig /all". Also check, open IE, click Tools, Internet Options, Connection Tab and then the LAN Tab and in the window that opens make sure that all the check boxes are clear, if not clear them and close IE and re-open IE.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/345936/ie-8-cannot-connect-to-external-addresses-but-firefox-can/
Relevancy 42.14%

I have a portable speaker from Brookstone with a USB connector.  When I plug that into my Acer I get no sound.  Am I missing some important step or setting, or just whistling in the wind?

A:How do I connect an external speaker to my Acer As...

installed OS? check on playback devices under audio if the USB speaker is set as default speaker and is enabled.

http://community.acer.com/t5/XP-Vista-or-earlier/How-do-I-connect-an-external-speaker-to-my-Acer-Aspire-6442-in/td-p/351125/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 42.14%

I need some help My manager s HD in the XP onto to Installing Windows HD laptop laptop) (then an external implanting her Dell Latitude laptop which lacks a cdrom has caught a boot sector virus The only solution was to take its HD out and put it into an external shell that connects to my computer via USB I was able to install the first half of Installing Windows XP onto an external laptop HD (then implanting to the laptop) the Windows XP step but when that was done and my computer restarted it did not complete the rest of the setup for the usb HD Basically I am wanting to install windows using the Latitude s code then putting the HD back in hoping it we be as if it s a new install Not sure if I have cleared up the entire situation but hope so If you follow and know what I am look for please help If you would like to help and need more explaining I have all the time in the world I appreciate any response have a good one nbsp

A:Installing Windows XP onto an external laptop HD (then implanting to the laptop)

Why not just put the drive in your machine and give it the basic install, swap it back, and then load the drivers.

Then, tell your Mgr to buy an external CD drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installing-windows-xp-onto-an-external-laptop-hd-then-implanting-to-the-laptop.680754/
Relevancy 41.71%

my friend built me a new computer, we got almost everything brand new, except we reused my old modem, which worked great on my other old computer. anyway, we re installed xp pro, and installed all the drivers, and my isp disk, but when i try to connect to the internet, as soon as i click "connect" or "dial" my computer freezes. i've been on high speed internet through an ethernet cable, and it worked just fine, but i cant use my dial up for some reason. i tried diabling my NIC port, and then the dial up started dialing, then it froze again, and now it freezes as soon as i hit connect. my computer teacher at my school couldnt figure this out... someone help plz!

A:Computer Freezes When I Try To Connect On Dial Up

In the bad old days of command line and ISA slots, it made a difference by putting your communication card in the last slots.
Check your Event Viewer in the Administrative Tools, located in the Control panel, for error messages. Post the last four error message here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/90227/computer-freezes-when-i-try-to-connect-on-dial-up/
Relevancy 41.71%

Hello this is my first post here Here is my PC AMD Internet when connect to Wireless ONLY Freezes Phenom ATI Radeon Crossfire w ATI Radeon GB PC mhz RAM GB Hard Drive Windows Vista Home Premium My question is My PC runs perfectly fine However when I go to connect to my wireless internet it will connect then the PC will freeze up shortly after I can't move the mouse or get to the task manager It won't do it everytime but it will I would say times It didn't always do this had the computer for about a month and it is just now starting to do this I went to a LAN Party last weekend and it has started doing this ever since Here is my wireless card incase anyone thinks that info may help GIGABYTE GN-WP Freezes ONLY when connect to Wireless Internet GS PCI WLAN Card Turbo I have already tried reinstalling drivers installing Freezes ONLY when connect to Wireless Internet new drivers etc Freezes ONLY when connect to Wireless Internet more side problem I would say once every days or so I experience the quot blue screen quot This is one other problem that never started until after the LAN party The freezing up is the most concerned problem for me right now as it happens way too often Thanks everyone and I am happy to join here

A:Freezes ONLY when connect to Wireless Internet

Please someone have the solution to this, I had to hard reset my computer twice this morning because it did it again.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/freezes-only-when-connect-to-wireless-internet-226590.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I have a gateway fx400s desktop--for years had no problem with this--have comcast internet--once it is on screen has everything like normal--try to click on a program --NOTHING
I also have a laptop(i'm suing now)--has no problem getting online--I need my desktop , what is wrong--I had to replace the monitor on Sat--it worked ok after that--now this--I have to shut it off and on but just pushing power button on tower

A:desktop on cant connect it freezes when i try to go to a program

http://www.user-guides.co.uk/cddown...P-Driver-CD-Recovery-Restore-Disk-244385.html if you have a disk run it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/desktop-on-cant-connect-it-freezes-when-i-try-to-go-to-a-program.957603/