Windows Support Forum

Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access

Q: Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access

Hi I m hoping someone can help as I ve spent many evenings on access cannot allocated Flash not drives being and letter drive this problem and getting nowhere Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access When attaching a flash drive The autoplay pop up doesn t appear The device does light up initially The device doesn t show up in quot Computer quot The device doesn t show up in Disk Management - just Disk system reserved C and I and CD ROM The device appears in Device Manager under USB controllers as a storage device but I can t access it This happens with all memory sticks and occasionally with ipod etc but sometimes for no apparent reason they work All devices works ok with other computers times out of plugging in a device or turning on the USB attached printer will cause the computer to BSOD usually with IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL X A Devices are never allocated a drive letter The only thing I can think of is that I repartitioned the external hard drive which I attach to back up which may have confused the computer with driver numbers Possibly But this problem doesn t seem to have stemmed from then And I did fiddle with the System Reserved drive as I had back up issues and one of the solutions was Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access to rename it then I renamed it back again I think Sorry if I m vague on this but I m not at all computer savvy and the kids are Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access trying to access their homework on the memory sticks I m running Windows Home -bit Avira anti virus and the computer is about months old working ok until a month ago Can t think that we downloaded anything about the same time as the problem started but possible I ve tried to update all drivers that I can think of but the only one that needed doing was the Nvidia GeForce which was outdated All devices etc say they are working properly Anybody got any ideas But keep it simple if poss please Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Flash drives not being allocated drive letter and cannot access

Have you tried Uninstalling the Mass Storage Device that shows up in Device Manager? sometimes reinstalling it can fix issues like this.

Do they work properly after a fresh restart?
Do they stop working after being in standby/sleep?

Other suggestion would be to reinstall Chipset Drivers and USB Drivers if your motherboard has seperate USB Drivers (Generally only for 3.0 boards)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/flash-drives-not-being-allocated-drive-letter-and-cannot-access.179377/
Relevancy 91.59%

Hi I have Drive flash with drives letter problems been having a few Drive letter problems with flash drives drive letter problems with my computer and flash drives and I was hoping you wonderful people might be able to help diagnose the issue Whenever I connect a Drive letter problems with flash drives flash drive both my USB stick and my flash Drive letter problems with flash drives mp player it installs properly but does not show the drive letter in my computer When I go to my computer- gt Disk management the device does show up If I assign it a drive letter it goes smoothly but still does not show up in my computer I can still access the drive if i open it from the disk management console but where the drive letter name usually are it is just blank When I restart my computer it still doesnt show in my computer and when I try to assign the drive letter again the one that I had previously assigned to my device is not in the drop down list meaning that it still thinks it is in use Computer Specs Toshiba Laptop M Windows XP service Pack This is a rather annoying problem and I would really appreciate all the help I can get on this issue Thanks and cheers bluemouse Edit To add when I try to format it in device manager i get quot The operation did not complete because the drive or partition is not enabled To enable the partition or volume restart the comptuer quot However restarting does not work Disk management says the device is healthy Moreover when I go to Device manager two of the same drive are present under disk drives This may be due to the mp player having two partitions one being a small hibernation partition but i dont know S It is a Sandisk e player just for that added bit of information Just to add a bit more odd information When I go into a program such as notepad or anything where I can see the drive letters when clicking quot save as quot or something I can see the drive letter that I Cannot see in My computer The old drive letter before disconnect was still there as well although nothing is attached to it I can however access all the folders I am also experiencing problems with my usb drive disconnecting which is when I get all these unused but still there drive letters Every time it disconnects i have to go into disk management and assign a new drive letter again Edit The problem with my device disconnecting was the power supply to the usb drives I got an external and it doesnt disconnect but I am still having problems with that damn drive letter All the quot used quot ones clear upon reboot Hm still can t figure it out I just keep running out of drive letters when I continuously disconnect reconnect reassign drive letter with my mp player nbsp

A:Drive letter problems with flash drives

How many drives you have in that M30?

C:
D:
E: (should be your USB2 drive)

You can go into adminstrative tools and change the drive letter for D: (DVD/ROM or DVDRW drive to F: this is a quick work around. This problem also comes up on a corp domain, I have to change mapped network drives letters around so that a USB2 drive will should up correcly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/drive-letter-problems-with-flash-drives.60378/
Relevancy 89.44%

Bought Sandisk GB USB sticks for using on a USB No drive letter - stick allocated floppy disc emulator The emulator software effectively divides the USB stick into virtual floppy discs This I did on the first stick on my Win PC where the USB stick was E drive then I did something wrong probably removed without 'ejecting' and all of a sudden the Win PC is not seeing the USB stick Disk Management within Computer Management sees the stick but when I try to allocate a drive letter I get the message quot the operation has failed because Disk management view is not up USB stick - No drive letter allocated to date quot refreshing amp restarting as instructed does nothing Trying it in safe mode is no different On my XP laptop the stick is seen OK and accepts files the only difference I can see between the offending USB stick and another identical one is that there is bytes allocated on the stick the Win PC sees whereas the offending stick is fully unallocated when reformatted FAT I know its only a cheap USB stick but it must be something simple and I dont want to be defeated by the little so and so Any thoughts

A:USB stick - No drive letter allocated

have you tried simply reformatting the stick on the xp machine and assigning a letter there?
you really should be using fat32 anyhow, compatibility is much better for fat32.

In fact I'm not entirely certain win 7 supports the ancient standard fat table.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/183374-usb-stick-no-drive-letter-allocated.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi I'm having a helluva time with getting my Lenovo Y P to recognize any USB flash drives or external HD Laptop is virtually new Came with Win but I installed Windows Pro Service Pack Immediately downloaded and installed all Windows updates From Lenovo I installed all of the latest drivers and updates including BIOS Genesys USB mass storage device Intel chipset driver and Intel rapid storage technology Laptop works great except for this issue I can see the flash drive in device manager but nothing in Computer folder Same goes for Disk Management no flash drive appears I have no virtual drives installed so currently no Daemon Tools or similar When I plug the drive into any of the USB ports are is the laptop makes the typical sound that you've connected something These flash drives and external HD work fine in my other computers here at home laptops and desktop Some run Win the other Win I tried going to Device Manager and uninstalling all USB controllers and hubs including drivers then hard can't external access flash drive drives or restarting My OS reinstalled everything as soon as I plugged in my mouse and or flash drive if I recall correctly but same issue persists I also ran can't access flash drives or external hard drive DriveCleanup claims to be quot command app that helps to can't access flash drives or external hard drive remove orphaned entries of various drives from the device tree of your system quot Same issue persists In case useful I'm posting a few photos including one of the flash drive properties from a working computer and one from this problematic laptop Obvious differences are that on the working computer the flash drive can't access flash drives or external hard drive properties under General tab the status says quot device is working properly quot and location is quot USB mass storage device quot under Driver tab it displays the specific model of the flash drive and the MS driver information On the bad computer the general tab says quot No drivers are installed for this device quot and location is quot Location quot but under the Driver tab it shows has correct model and MS driver information as when connected to the working laptop Any ideas or troubleshooting tips are greatly appreciated Thanks for reading Josh

A:can't access flash drives or external hard drive

FYI here are pix of BIOS main page and configuration info (USB legacy is enabled).

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/356703-cant-access-flash-drives-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I ve been digging around forums not drives a letter drive USB assigned for USB drives not assigned a drive letter hours but can t find anything useful among all USB drives not assigned a drive letter the hardware driver issues I have a server completely updated that will not automatically assign a drive letter to any external storage device that is plugged into the USB ports I ve verified that this happens with every external storage device I ve been able to get my hands on - several flash drives and many external hard drives BEHAVIOR When any device is plugged in the drive is detected and shows up in Disk Management but I have to manually assign it a drive letter typically the next available drive letter Once the drive letter is assigned it works fine If I unplug the device give it time to remove and plug it back in it is once again detected but no drive letter is assigned I get the same effect no matter what drive letter is assigned whether it s the next available or something out in left field like W TROUBLESHOOTING ATTEMPTS As stated above I ve tried every different device I can get my hands on I ve made sure all available updates have been applied to the OS I removed and reinstalled the USB Controller drivers I even removed USB drives not assigned a drive letter the USB controller card and installed a different model with a different chipset I m at wit s end here nbsp

A:USB drives not assigned a drive letter

Are you sure that it doesn't show up in "computer". Any usb storage device I have ever used always shows an an external device.
Vicks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-drives-not-assigned-a-drive-letter.991033/
Relevancy 70.09%

So I know that going into disk management allows me to change the letter assignments for hard drives and such, but there are no dvd-drives listed there. Where do I go in win7 to change the drive letters for my installed burners?

A:Changing the drive letter for DVD Drives?

mine are listed on the bottom pane, and if i right click i get the change drive letter path option.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/111606-changing-drive-letter-dvd-drives.html
Relevancy 70.09%

How do I do it? I've changed the drive letters for logical drives/hard drives before using partion magic and other programs like that, but how do I change the drive letters for my DVD-R and Zip drives? I used to know how to do it in Windows 98, but I'm using XP now and I don't know how. Any help is appreciated.

A:Changing the drive letter of my DVD-R and ZIP drives...

Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Storage - Disk Management (local)

Right click on the disk drive in the lower panel, select "Change drive letter and Paths"

The drive will probably not show in the upper panel unless there is media in it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-the-drive-letter-of-my-dvd-r-and-zip-drives.275633/
Relevancy 69.23%

I just noticed my computer doing this today, i don't think its done it before.. anyway every time i insert my flash drive its a different drive letter, going in order. Like it went from N to O to P to Q.. Why won't it just use the same one (first available) each time? I've gone into disk management and set a drive letter but it doesn't stick, when I reinsert the drive its different again. It seems like windows doesn't want to recognize that this is the same drive, so each time it thinks its a new device.

A:Different drive letter each time i insert my flash drive.

Do you remove is safely (using the icon in the system tray that looks like a oblique shot of a card with an arrow pointing down and left?)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/different-drive-letter-each-time-i-insert-my-flash-drive-102621.html
Relevancy 69.23%

OS XP questions I inserted a Cruzer SD drive into an open USB port The computer assigns the drive the letter K I wish for the drive to be assigned G Flash assignment letter USB Drive The Cruzer is already in the uppermost of two USB ports Is there a way I can force XP to call the Cruzer G instead of K Someone had apparently inserted and removed a USB flash drive several times on this same computer without properly closing and ejecting the device As a result XP had cycled through the alphabet to the next available letter I had set a third party backup program to go to a particular drive letter I know that I could and did reboot the computer allowing the computer to recognize that the drive letters it thought were in use were not and for the computer to then reorder all available drive letters However IS THERE a way to force XP without rebooting to reset available drive letters Clicking on my computer in explorer and hitting the View Refresh does not work

A:USB Flash Drive assignment letter

You can reset them yourself manually, using Device Manager. If a letter is already in use, you cannot use it...unless you change it to something else that is not in use.

I start at the end of the alphabet and assign drive letters to storage partitions. C: is the system partition by default, D: is the optical drive by default...anything between D: and the latter characters of the alphabet will be assigned letters E:, etc.

Aside from doing a repair install or something similar...I don't know of a way to force an automatic reassignment of letters.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/329349/usb-flash-drive-assignment-letter/
Relevancy 69.23%

Is it possible to assign a USB flash drive a specific drive letter that would be the same on all computers.

For instance, assign a flash drive the letter X: and if I plugged it in your computer it would also be shown as X:

What I'm trying to do is have a program on the C: drive send its data to the flash drive regardless as to what computer it is plugged into.

Thanks.

Jim

A:Assign USB Flash drive letter

No. NT based systems don't actually assign a letter to a drive like DOS did. It will be assigned on a first-come, first-served basis unless the machine has registry settings for a drive letter for that device already. It will then assign the same letter the next time (usually). In fact, NT doesn't need to use drive letters at all.

But it's easy to change in Disk Management.

Right-click Computer > Manage > Disk Management.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/assign-usb-flash-drive-letter.767842/
Relevancy 69.23%

This may be a simple question from a simple mind, it has me stumped and I don't know why.
I have 2 flash drives to backup files, one gets assigned as E: drive, the other gets assigned as F: drive. What gives?
This is a problem because of scheduling the backup.
Jeff

A:Flash drive letter assignment

So what's the problem?

Basic Drive Assignments:
A, B floppies
C primary boot drive
D second hard drive or CD/DVD R/W drive
E thru Z other devices. Virtual drives, USB drives and devices

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/flash-drive-letter-assignment.89780/
Relevancy 69.23%

I am wanting to use 2 usb drives for backup. i am using one drive at a time and when one backs up i swap it with another so that i can take one offsite. does anyone know how to assign 2 drives with the same drive letter. I wouldnt be plugging them in at the same time. I want it this way so that i wont have to change the drive letter every time. Is there any drive management software out there that will do this? Please help me!!!

A:making 2 usb drives share the same drive letter

You don't have to assign them drive letters. I have a number of clients that I do exactly what you want to do (off-site back-up we call it). Plug one in and note what letter it is assigned. As long as you don't keep plugging in device after device, it will always get the next available drive letter.

You are better off assigning your other HDD's that are fixed into your PC drive letters, leaving your USB HDD's to always take the next available letter (which is common behaviour, if nothing is assigned E:, it will get E: ).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/making-2-usb-drives-share-the-same-drive-letter.68275/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hey I have an interesting problem with SanDisk Cruzer Blade amp Edge thumbdrives Whenever I put them in my computer I get the sound that Windows has detected I have plugged something in but nothing appears I go into Computer Management - gt Disk Management and they aren't listed at letter) Drives (not not USB recognised drive Thumb all Explorer 'hangs' when I plug it in If I plug another USB drive that I know works USB Thumb Drives not recognised (not drive letter) into the computer there is no sound and nothing is recognised until I unplug the 'faulty' thumb drive When I unplug them something flashes for an instant in My Computer and Windows makes the device removed sound This happens with multiple thumb drives all SanDisk Cruzer Blade amp Edge thumbdrives Here is the catch They work perfectly fine in any other computer I suspect that as I have used a lot of thumbdrives in this laptop is there now an overload of sandisk thumbdrives in the memory bank Not sure if I am barking up the right tree or not I have attached a screenshot from my registry in case it sheds any light Thoughts Thanks in advance

A:USB Thumb Drives not recognised (not drive letter)

That overload does indeed have the potential to derail things.

Whether my recommendation below will resolve the problem or not , it is a good practice to periodically flush out the non-present devices eliminating the chance for Windows getting "confused".

So start now.

Download drivecleanup.zip v0.8.1. Drive Tools for Windows

Extract it to a folder named say DriveCleanup. You will have two folders Win32 and x64 each containing DriveCleanup.exe for 32bit and 64bit Windows respectively.

Remove all USB devices on your system (except KB/mouse) and then rightclick on the appropriate .exe for your bit version and Run as administrator

Once the cleanup is over reboot your system.

(Mine is a 32bit Windows)

Please do report whether your problem is solved.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/298744-usb-thumb-drives-not-recognised-not-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 69.23%

You know how in Windows XP, you can map a drive letter to a network share? Well, that only allows you to map 26 drives, minus your system drives. So is there a program I can download that will map one network drive, and when I go into it, I see folders, and when I go into a folder, it is going to a network location?

So what would normally be one network drive mapped to a drive letter is then viewed as one drive letter with folders, each of which point to seperate shares, and therefore, by the way, the permissions stay intact too, because it's accessing the shares.

My whole problem in this case, is that I've got more than 26 drives I need to share, and at least one user, needs them all mapped at one time. So if I simply viewed it as a single mapped drive in that case, it would work perfectly.

Relevancy 69.23%

I just formatted and installed afresh Win7 Ultimate N on a WD1000GB. Since setup screen it recognized only 3 of 5 disk drive (all of same HDD).
Before that I resized two of the drives with `EASEUS Partition Master 8.0.1 Home Edition` but I did so for the drives he actually recognized. (I accessed those drives through another OS which is installed on another HDD).

It would see them in disc management but it can`t assign drive letter, it says : Disk Management Console view is not up-to-date...
even the program can`t assign letter ot mess with the size of the drives.

I can fully access the drives through my other OS (xp).

Any suggestions please?

A:Disc drives unvisible (no drive letter)

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management?
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html

Screenshot tools.
A Preferred Method of Uploading/Posting Screen Shots
How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums
Snipping Tool - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows
Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots
Screenshot with Paint
Screenshot and Upload using MWSnap
fscapture free download

Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/169748-disc-drives-unvisible-no-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I'm working on a project that will run off my flash drive. Due to various limitations of the software I am using, the software must always look in the exact same directory for referenced files.

I don't have the option of installing a program on every computer I try to use it on, nor will I have administrator access.

Is there any way to force a drive to mount to the same drive letter on all host computers with these limitations? Perhaps by using the autorun.inf file?

A:How do you mount a flash drive to a certain letter on any computer?

Right click on My Computer>Manage>Disk Management>You should see the USB drive in the list - right click> Change Drive Letter and Paths.
Should work without admin rights.........

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/331488-how-do-you-mount-flash-drive-certain-letter-any-computer.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello everyone I recently purchased a new computer to which I transfered my existing Windows XP install copied the partition with Partition Magic then did a recovery off the Windows XP disk because it wouldn t boot I am now having a strange problem with my USB flash drive I plug it in it is detected as normal but it is not assigned a drive letter I can go into disk management and assign it an unused drive letter but it still does not appear in My Computer or Windows Explorer If while still in disk management I right-click the drive and choose quot Explore quot Windows Explorer pops up showing the drive contents for just an instant then automatically refreshes to My Computer which still does not show the drive letter I ve tried refreshing the view going to is a not is but drive letter assigned Flash browsable... run and typing the drive letter all to no avail Rebooting the machine changes nothing And my Flash drive is assigned a letter but is not browsable... Firewire iPod has the same problem Any suggestions would be greatly Flash drive is assigned a letter but is not browsable... appreciated Thanks Jacob nbsp

Relevancy 68.37%

I tried out a program called Cryptainer which created a virtual drive, but it took the drive letter I use for my Flashdrive (G). I've unistalled the program and run CCleaner and Norton WinDoctor to clean up anything it may have left behind, but everytime I plug in the flashdrive it keeps getting assigned the letter H, even though there is no G drive listed in my directory tree anymore. How can I get that G drive letter back?

Thanks much,
Harold

A:Solved: Can't Get Flash Drive Letter Back

See if you can change it manually using the Disk Management interface and have the change hold up:

To change the drive letter assignments in Windows XP, follow these steps:
1. Log on to the computer as Administrator.
2. not applicable
3. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Manage.
4. Click Disk Management.
5. not applicable
6. Click the removable drive, click it, click Change, click the drive letter that you want to use, and then click OK.
ref: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330137

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cant-get-flash-drive-letter-back.461546/
Relevancy 68.37%

I've bought three WD Tb Elements external USB drives they were on special The problem is that Windows is not seeing them as separate drives If you plug in one then the next one simply doesn't appear either in My Computer or in the Disk Management utility This has happened to me before with two identical Tb WD Elements drives but I was able to fix the problem by manually assigning drive letters to each one Once I did that they were recognized as separate drives Unfortunately this doesn't seem to be working with these ones Specifically I plug in drive and assign it the drive letter S I then unplug it and plug in drive It appears also as drive S this is what normally happens I manually assign this second disk the drive letter T What SHOULD happen at as drives How USB do stop showing identical WD same drive letter the I this point is that when I now plug in How do I stop identical WD USB drives showing as the same drive letter the first drive again it will still have drive letter S and the two will both show Instead only one of them will register at a time and they both now separately show as T Both in My Computer and in Disk Management the second is simply invisible Any ideas How do I make the drive letters 'stick' to their drives as I've been able to with other similar drives in the past

A:How do I stop identical WD USB drives showing as the same drive letter

This happens because all the three drives have the same Unique Id.

Connect all the three drives and go to Windows Disk Management.

Only one drive will get the drive letter and the other two may be offline because of the signature collision.

Right click on the drives with a red arrow pointing down and bring them online.

Plug out the drives and plug in. Now all the drives will get a different drive letter.

EDIT: You may also check and change the Unique ID of the drives using diskpart. http://www.laurentkempe.com/post/Win...collision.aspx

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/342432-how-do-i-stop-identical-wd-usb-drives-showing-same-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I'm getting around to getting my new Lenovo Notebook set up to Drives New Notebook Have Assigned Need Letter New in Plugged Drive prior to replacing the stock HDD with a Sammy EVO New Drives Plugged in New Notebook Need to Have Drive Letter Assigned and I'm having a couple of problems that have me stumped The first time I plug in an external drive be it HDD or flash drive via a USB port I have to go into disk management to assign a drive letter to it even though it already has one and was working fine when I would plug it into my desktop machine Once I assigned the drive letter it would work fine from then on except for problem Once the drive has a drive letter reassigned I have to go into Computer to find it since the little window with the Autoplay context menu doesn't appear I've checked the Autoplay settings and have everything set to ask every time the way I prefer it What am I missing here Edit Ok this just got weirder I just now tried plugging in the external HDD into the preferred USB port and the little Autoplay window decided to pop up like a good little window should After ejecting and disconnecting the drive I then tried rebooting the computer then plugging in the drive The little window popped right up Same for the flash drive I had trouble with before when I plugged it in I then tried plugging the external drive in again and had to go into disk management yet again to reassign the stupid drive letter again Yeeesh

A:New Drives Plugged in New Notebook Need to Have Drive Letter Assigned

Wow! 167 views and no responses. This really must be a stinker of a problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/351217-new-drives-plugged-new-notebook-need-have-drive-letter-assigned.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I have 2 Cd's in my system; one is a burner that is currently not working. When it worked it was drive E. When I plug in my new flash drive it is seen as E but quits working and drops off the system within a minute or two. I'm thinking I need to change something somewhere until I get my CD-R working again but am not sure where to do that. If it makes any difference, my CD player is drive D and I am running XP Home.

Relevancy 67.94%

It has no problem if I used a usb1.1 flash drive. However, when I tried a usb2.0 flash drive, there is no drive letter appearing in Windows Explorer.

I am running XP Pro with SP1. My colleague has a PC with the same hardware configuration and I had no problem plugging the usb2.0 flash drive in his machine.

Device manager did show the usb2.0 flash drive when I plugged it in the usb port.

Any idea?

A:XP Pro SP1 won't assign a drive letter to usb 2.0 flash drive

For grins can you try changing the drive letter in device manager while it's plugged into a USB 2.0 port?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-pro-sp1-wont-assign-a-drive-letter-to-usb-2-0-flash-drive.17470/
Relevancy 67.94%

New user here! I have a Sandisk Cruzer Mini USB Flash Drive 128 MB, and my computer will not recognize it. I am on a network, have a CD-RW drive, DVD drive, Zip disk installed and my first network drive is F:\ Does anyone know if you can designate the drive letter to be used by a usb flash device? Or can I change the first letter of the network to a different letter? I am on Windows XP Pro.

Thanks in advance!

Rig.

Relevancy 67.51%

I have a dual Raid 1 configuration with (2) identical 500GB (C and 1TB (D drives. When connecting my (2) external hard drives, one of which needs to be named (F (I have numerous files, folders, icons and programs linked to it), I see that (E and (F are the only two drive letters unavailable for use - presumably because they have been allocated as the invisible/dynamic? drives for (C and (D, respectively. How do I know which one's RAID Mirror is? And can I just rename that drive so the letter becomes available without interrupting/changing/affecting the RAID configuration? Thanks in advance for anyone that can offer insight.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/64884-renaming-drives-raid-1-configuration-necessary-drive-letter-shows.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi,

Like the topic states I wonder if it's possible to assign a specific drive letter to a PCMCIA flash card in WinXP? For instance, when the card is plugged in, that it recieves d:\, nothing is for the moment occupying that drive letter.

Now the card get's e:\ everytime.

The computer it self is a Dell Latitude D610 if that matters.

Thanks in advance,
Kristofer

A:Possible To Assign A Specific Drive Letter To A Pcmcia Flash Card In WinXP?

Hiya

Drive letters can be assigned IF the card is formatted using NTFS. Obviously the camera must support NTFS or you will render the card unusable.

Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> computer management ->disk management.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/possible-to-assign-a-specific-drive-letter-to-a-pcmcia-flash-card-in-winxp-227863.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi,

Like the topic states I wonder if it's possible to assign a specific drive letter to a PCMCIA flash card in WinXP? For instance, when the card is plugged in, that it recieves d:\, nothing is for the moment occupying that drive letter.

Now the card get's e:\ everytime.

The computer it self is a Dell Latitude D610 if that matters.

Thanks in advance,
Kristofer

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/possible-to-assign-a-specific-drive-letter-to-a-pcmcia-flash-card-in-winxp.690828/
Relevancy 64.93%

When i am trying too burn a CD drive letter access is using my CDburner or it say that i most insert a CD but i have allredy don that. What shall i do?

A:drive letter access

Is the drive capable of burning CDs? What software are you using to burn these CDs?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/drive-letter-access.511167/
Relevancy 64.93%

When I open an e-mail with an attachment,I get the message-drive letter access component has encountered a problem.I have to download it into my documents,then it will open.What is the problem?

Relevancy 64.93%

In the limited research I have done with the problem posed in post #56, I believe the reason the user is unable to use the drive is it is GPT and is protected. Is there a way to reclaim the drive and data in Windows 7?

I am unfamiliar with GPT and do not know how to get Windows 7 to give access to the drive without changing to MBR, but changing to MBR will wipe the partition table and make the data inaccessible. Any ideas? Anyone else seen this problem before?

A:No access to GPT drive in Windows 7, no drive letter can be assigned

Hi,

I stumbled across a forum post (TomsHardware) that claimed TestDisk and PhotoRec have the ability to recover data from GPT drives. Is it worth a go?

PhotoRec - CGSecurity
TestDisk - CGSecurity

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/206382-no-access-gpt-drive-windows-7-no-drive-letter-can-assigned.html
Relevancy 64.93%

hi guys, I am new to this forum. My PC is stopped recognising my pen drive after i re installed my windows XP. before it was working perfectly. please any one help me???
my pendrive is kingston 4 GB
my system configuration is P4 3.2 Ghz,512 MB ram, 160 GB hard disc

A:Can't access USB FLASH drives.

Have you installed the drivers that came with your motherboard? Usually you should create your own thread for your own problems, but I think it's fine to use this aswell...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-usb-flash-drives.740759/
Relevancy 64.93%

I have just encountered this problem recently. Whenever I try to open my Flash Drives on my laptop, it tells me that "The drive is not formatted and that I need to format" when I do click on format, it says "format cannot be completed" I am honestly lost, this has never happened to me, I have memory sticks of 64mb all the way to 2GB and all of them cannot be opened on my labtop, but on all other computers they do.

But the weird thing is that my wireless mouse works, I can still use the printer and the light on the Cruzer lights up.

I have searched these forums and tried many of the tips that where given and yet my laptop still cant seem to let me get into my flash drives.

Please Help.

Relevancy 64.5%

How would I get rid of this?

A:Drive Letter Access Component

Perhaps if you told us enough to have an idea what the real issue was, we could help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/drive-letter-access-component.521652/
Relevancy 64.5%

"Drive letter access component" add on version 1.0.0.1 is not compatible with IE8.
Im running XP and upgraded to IE8. Online support only advise is to buy Reg repair and cleaner.
Is there other method to fix?

Thank you

Relevancy 64.07%

Hi drives denied USB flash Access to I hope I m in the right sub and someone will be able to help me This happened out of the blue a few days ago I hadn t updated installed or changed anything Any flash drive I try and use results in the same error - Location not found is not accessible Access Denied The drives which are connected and shown all show as being completely empty when I check properties The stranger thing than this is my external hard drive has no issue as I ve Access denied to USB flash drives used But both drives and then a friends which he uses regularly all gave the same error I d be really grateful if someone could help me out with this issue Here s my sys info just in case Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Pentium R Dual-Core CPU T GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Mobile Intel R Series Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - Access denied to USB flash drives MB Free - MB Motherboard LENOVO NITU Antivirus ESET Smart Security Updated and Enabled nbsp

A:Access denied to USB flash drives

Really would appreciate any advice guys, maybe it's something simple but i've googled the hell out of variations of my issue and haven't been able to come up with anything.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-denied-to-usb-flash-drives.1047507/
Relevancy 63.64%

o/s-win98, HP Pavillion
I need to reinstall my sound/audio driver, but the autorun.bat and .inf programs on the application recovery disk refer to drive M. My cdrw is drive D. Per instructions from a HP support doc, I went in and changed the drive letter to M, but when I inserted the disk, I got errors stating that the cd drive D was not ready. I just recently installed a new cdrw so I'm not sure if that changed the drive letter from M to D.

Is there a way I can manually get these autobat programs going? Or can I simply install the riptdrv file without needing other files or processes to be performed?

Thanks!

Relevancy 63.64%

Preamble Cannot up access no letter drive because backed partition I keep my system in one partition and documents in a second on drive Recently i attempted to set up xp in even another paritition That's a whole other story I ran into trouble gave up ended with a fouled up boot manager and decided to reinstall windows from the install cd Before reinstalling windows I made a partition on a second exterior hard drive and backed up my documents partition in it Problem With Windows reinstalled and with the exterior hd connected the partition with the documents does not show up in My Computer It does however show up in Disk Management But it has no drive letter And if you open Cannot access backed up partition because no drive letter the right click menu on that partition everything is greyed out except quot delete partition quot and quot help quot Maybe I neglected to assign a drive letter on the back up partition But wouldn't the Cannot access backed up partition because no drive letter system do that automatically Maybe the drive letter assigned by the system conflicts with a drive letter on the inside hd How do I rescue my backed up documents

A:Cannot access backed up partition because no drive letter

Change, add, or remove a drive letter - Windows Help

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-access-backed-up-partition-because-no-drive-letter-1107465.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I like OneDrive and use it on an almost daily basis, but I don't like the syncing. I wish I could access it as a drive. Does anyone have any suggestions?

A:How can I access OneDrive as a drive letter without syncing?

Hello OCMS213, and welcome to Ten Forums.

You might see if mapping OneDrive may work for you.

OneDrive - Map OneDrive in This PC in Windows 8.1

Another alternative, would be to use OneDrive online instead.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/60326-how-can-i-access-onedrive-drive-letter-without-syncing.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I assign greyed Paths... Change drive letter. out. and Can't Drive Letter have a drive that has a lot of information on it that I need A user left our company and all of his files are on this drive I was handed it and asked to build a VM with all his information on it When I plug the drive in it loads the drivers and shows up just fine Change Drive Letter and Paths... greyed out. Can't assign drive letter. in Computer Management shown below but not in Computer So I think ok I'll just add a drive letter but that option is greyed out and won't let me The disk Change Drive Letter and Paths... greyed out. Can't assign drive letter. is initialized and appears to be healthy I have gone to device manager and made sure there were no problems there as well It was also an external drive so I removed it and made it an internal drive on my machine but got the same results It shows up in BIOS but obviously can't boot off of it since it is not an OS drive Deleting formatting the drive is not an option Is there a way to get this drive accessible without that Deleting it is the exact opposite of what I want done here nbsp Thanks

A:Change Drive Letter and Paths... greyed out. Can't assign drive letter.

That looks like a mac formatted drive, that's why it wont work on your PC. Try installing Paragon HFS+ for Windows.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1ba097f6-8a0b-43d8-a826-928458c4ba15/change-drive-letter-and-paths-greyed-out-cant-assign-drive-letter?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 61.49%

hi there just recently my pc started to fail to notice my internal dvd drive and it wont accept any plug in flash drives-have tried to find solution on net but thought it more prudent to ask somebody that actually knows their business-according to the device driver it is working but alas it does not appear in the computer panel-my pc is only a few months old and i admit it may haver been my fault as i have done similar things in the past-sabotaging my own system-the general concensus on the web is that it is a registry problem which is way above my head-any help and/or guidance would be greatly appreciated-i am running win7 pro 64 bit it's an asus 501jseries-dual core i really have no idea and would be eternally grateful for a solution to this problem many thanks jessiepal38

A:dvd drive & flash drives not recognised

Hi, go to the start orb and in search type devmgmt.msc under device manager does the drive show up? Any yellow exc marks?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dvd-drive-and-flash-drives-not-recognised-501349.html
Relevancy 61.49%

dear all

the os is windows xp.

i normally use a pen drive and a mobile phone (as usb).

i inserted these in two usb ports. when i click the "safely remove" button, it shows both K and G drives.
but when i tried to open my computers-> only one drive's name is shown.

when i safely removed one drive say "K", drive "G" appears on the screen.

another problem is that F drive (DVD-RAM) Disc appears where as there is no disc in F Drive.

kindly help solve my problem.

thanks

m.s.narayanan

Relevancy 61.06%

sir,

i have windows 7 desktop. there are some partition on it.but there is problem with these partition. All the three partition have the same drive letter.i attach a link showing the picture. all three partitions are dynamic , simple. if i open these drives only the contents of one drive are appeared. another two drive data are not shown in any manner.

i don't want to lose any data from any drive ......
please help me sir...
my windows is installed in c:\ drive which is also dynamic and there are no recent changes.only one change i did which is i shrink dynamic volume 50 GB from 206 GB and again mixed with 206 GB without allocating free space.

and only the c drive is on and d drive is off.but in my other desktop same configuration exist.
please help me...and please don't say change and remove drive letter...........waiting for response

A:changing one drive letter all 3 partitions change to that drive letter

First thing you're going to do is fill in the specs of the desktop whose snips you are showing us.

Then you're going to do the same with the second pc opening a second post with snips. Give it a different title like "Second pc with drive letters the same". Don't forget the snips.

You should not have dynamic disks in either machine. What did you do to accomplish this?

There exists a bevy of spectacular experts on this site that will be happy to help you. But give us ALL the info please.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/281527-changing-one-drive-letter-all-3-partitions-change-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 60.63%

It's not really annoying, just has bugged me forever. Every single computer I've ever used weather it be Windows 98 through 7, OS X, Ubuntu, laptop or desktop. If you plug a flash drive in the CD drive(s) will spin up to see if their is a CD in them. Why? Lol I can't find anything online saying the reason.

A:Why do CD drives spin up when a flash drive is plugged in?

Hi there .. I cannot say i have ever noticed that .. So just tried it on two Laptops no spin at all .. Though that was a DVD/CD drive which i assume you meant

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/300054-why-do-cd-drives-spin-up-when-flash-drive-plugged.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I'm trying to copy 40 flash drives.  I have a USB Hub that will allow me to plug in 40 flash drives, and I have software that will image one flash's contents drive onto all of them. 

However, when I plug in the so many flash drives and reach letter "z"  I can't plug in anymore.  Sure I can just do two batches, but I'm hoping there is a tech solution that someone is aware of.

Let me know your thoughts.

A:Duplicating more flash drives, than drive letters

Not unless there is something in the documentation that came with the USB Hub.  I believe you're pretty much stuck with the 26 drive limitation in Windows.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/533680/duplicating-more-flash-drives-than-drive-letters/
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello
I got this problem with my computer
Whenever I use a USB flash drive the files get corrupted
the same flash drive when used on another computer works fine as long as the files don't come from my computer
the DVD drives don't read or burn disks (both CD and DVD)
and the computer is working REALLY slow
it even takes about 7 minutes to boot up

can someone help me?

A:USB Flash drive problem and DVD drives not working

I suppose there probably are some bad sectors or delays on your hard drive. You can use HDD Regenerator to check if bad sector or delays happen on your hard drive. If you unfortunately find some, you still can repair the bad sectors or delays with HDD Regenerator. Well, scan the hard disk first.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/517002/usb-flash-drive-problem-and-dvd-drives-not-working/
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi,

Trying to put some music on a flash drive, but I can only use 50% of the drive. Tried three different drives, all are over 1gig, but only can use abou 500mb if I'm lucky.

Any help would be great.
Cheers

A:Usb Flash Drive/Thumb drives problems

HP USB Disk Storage Format Utility
Http://downloads.pcworld.com/pub/new/utilities/peripherals/SP27608.exe

Will format any USB flash drive
It can be known to recover Flash drives that are un-responsive too.

Warning: This program will remove all contents of your USB flash drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-flash-drive-thumb-drives-problems.104603/
Relevancy 59.77%

I want to rename drive E (10gigs) to lets say drive S...is it as simple as right clicking and renaming the drive in most cases right?. This is a one owner non networked home pc. (windows xp)

thks

T

A:Solved: renaming extended partition drive letter to another letter...plz help

Right click on My Computer . . select Manage . . then Disk Management . .

In Disk Management, right click on the Drive an select change letter assignment . .

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-renaming-extended-partition-drive-letter-to-another-letter-plz-help.349348/
Relevancy 59.34%

I know I'm dreaming but no harm in asking:

software to combine a few USB flash drives connected to a hum to form a bigger flash drive?

A:software that can bombine flash drives to form a bigger drive

You might be able to set up a simple RAID array (similar to what people do with traditional hard drives.) But from what I've read, it doesn't work real well with flash drives.

USB Flash Drive RAIDers of Windows 7 ? IT Expert Voice

And more info about RAID in general:

Giz Explains: What a RAID Hard Drive Array Is (and Why You Want One)

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/284511-software-can-bombine-flash-drives-form-bigger-drive.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I have had this issue for several weeks now & there is very limited info about it on the net, and what I have found about it hasn't resolved the issue.

Basically my external hard drive & my flash drive appear as folder icons in My Computer & not drive icons.

I am guessing that the virus is on my laptop and then transfers itself to any external media I connect to it. Then if I put that same external media into a different PC/laptop, it transfers itself to that PC/laptop too...

Does any one have any ideas on this one?

A:My Flash & Ext HD Drives Appear in My Comp as Folders Icon, Not Drive Icons

Hi CT-77,

We can't help you without more information than that. Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in your next reply.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

**Please note this section of the forum is very busy, so be sure to familiarize yourself with the Bumping Rules also found in our sticky topic mentioned above. One of our Analysts will review your log as soon as possible.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/my-flash-and-ext-hd-drives-appear-in-my-comp-as-folders-icon-not-drive-icons-420587.html
Relevancy 59.34%

We are suddenly having a problem with USB flash drives and USB external hard drives in our organization Users started reporting Show) Flash (Takes Problem to Drive Forever New Drives USB for that their flash drives either were not working or took a long time to be recognized by the computer so that they could be used It could take up to minutes for the drive to be usable Once it works you can take the drive out and put it back in and it will work with no problem If you kill your network connection before plugging a USB drive in you will have no problems at all I have made a some observations regarding this problem When you plug a USB drive in on a computer with the issue you hear the connect sound and you see the installing New USB Flash Drives Problem (Takes Forever for Drive to Show) drivers icon The icon quickly reports that the drivers are successfully installed but the drive does not show up in my computer The drive shows up in Devices and Printers but you cannot do anything to access it Device Manager shows an Unknown Device You can either try to update the driver or wait If you wait the unknown device will change to your USB drive in Device Manager and you will be able to use your drive This is the big one If you kill your network connection USB drives quickly show and are usable as they would normally be Has anyone else seen this problem Is there a specific Windows Update that could be doing this Thanks Spike

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/383592-new-usb-flash-drives-problem-takes-forever-drive-show.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I lost my Event Viewer, and had to do a repair installation to fix it. Unfortunately, during the repair install, Windows decided to rename my second HD as the D: drive... it was K: before that. Now I cannot access any of my docs, pictures, music, or videos through the normal means... they don't show up in libraries or explorer, and apps like Restorator and Sure Thing (CD labeler) cannot find them. I think that means the paths are broken..?

It won't allow me to rename the HD back into K: (it's not listed as available). I can access the data by clicking Computer > D, and I can see the data is there, but its unusable as of now. Any ideas?

A:Can't change hard drive letter to needed letter

Hello Stevie,

To be safe, you should create a restore point before doing this in case you make a mistake and need to use it to do a system restore.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...ndows-7-a.html

1. If the K letter is not being used by another internal drive, then you can open regedit and navigate to:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices
2. In the left pane, Take ownership (step 2 in Option Two of METHOD TWO) of the registry key MountedDevices and "Allow" yourself "Full Control" of it as well.

3. In the right pane of MountedDevices, right click on \DosDevices\K: and click on Delete and OK.

4. Restart the computer to apply. You should now be able to change the second hard drive letter to K.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/39481-cant-change-hard-drive-letter-needed-letter.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Want to Assign a drive letter to a partitioned device but the letter is not in the list

I created a partitioned drive I went to assign letter G but I don't see it in the list. no drive is using the letter G I do believe that some USB is using letter G, but I don't see my USBs ( see image)

What can I do?

Thanks
CE

A:Want to Assign a drive letter to a partitioned device but the letter i

Do you have any USB storage devices like a card reader hooked up? Those would take up extra drive letters but not show up in Explorer until you put some media in.

I also notice you have disk drives C: and F: and a DVD drive on D: which makes me wonder where E: is...

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/192372-want-assign-drive-letter-partitioned-device-but-letter-i.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello

I had to open my pc and remove drives. Once re-installed, one of the drive has seen it's letter allocation modified. Since 2 application is pointing to G drive, I would like to be able to get it back.

Hard disk (2) Was G: Now, show has a D:
CD drive was D: Now show has E:

G: appear had a "movable" drive

What can I do to replace all drive letter allocation has it use to be

Any info appreciated

Martin

A:modifying drive letter: Letter to choose not in the list

To find out why the preferred letter is not available. Type disk management in the search bar on the start menu and select "create and format hard disk partitions". Look to see if the letter you want to use is already in use. If it is you will have to change it first.

This link might be helpful.
How to change drive letters--even when the letter you want isn't available | PCWorld

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/363437-modifying-drive-letter-letter-choose-not-list.html
Relevancy 58.91%

If this is in the wrong forum please move it to the right place thanks Alright so this all started a lot of months ago but now it's getting really annoying At first I noticed my laptop acting up with my Sandisk flash drive that I've had for years It'd take a while to connect then after it did whenever I'd eject it through the devices panel it'd say that the flash drive needed to be troubleshooted It could never find what the problem was Plugged in my newer flash drive and it acted the same Finally tried my Seagate Slim Portable and the same thing happened Then after a while whenever I'd plug in one of them my laptop fan would kick up on high and my cpu would start to spike pretty high It wouldn't happen immediately but after at least a minute of having it plugged in this would happen Once I ejected it the cpu would still be spiking and I'd have to restart the computer to get it to stop Also sometimes when plugging one in my cursor would really slow down or freeze for a bit then be normal again This happens no matter what usb port I try Just recently when I decided to plug in my external hard drive into a different port the screen literally FROZE even my cursor disappeared and no keyboard input so I had to force it off I've tried checking if the ports needed driver updates but they're supposedly up to date I've scanned my computer but nothings there My computer has the latest updates too I've even checked my settings to high performance Is there any way to find out what's causing this

A:External hard drive/flash drives causing high cpu and slowdown

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,
How long have you been using Trend Micro
Not a good sign imho
Often to correct problems a system needs to be clean installed.
Use Panda instead.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/380306-external-hard-drive-flash-drives-causing-high-cpu-slowdown.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello I have an issue I have not have before I am running XP pro SP with all updates installed I use AVG free for everyday protection with a router Drive Access Flash drive denied Infection/Removable disabled: configured as a firewall as well as Flash Drive Infection/Removable drive disabled: Access denied the standard Win firewall I also use Windows Defender Windows malicious software removal too I was using LiveOne Care but it no longer exists I also use Malwarebytes free version regularly and RUBotted So here is the issue I was at a work conference and took my flash drive to transfer my presentation to the laptop that is used for the projector in auditorium Got it back threw it in my purse and never thought anything more about it Today I started to transfer another presentation to the flash drive and wala AVG pops up with quot threat detected move files to virus vault quot The message initially said Recycler exe So of course I click yes to transfer to virus vault It appears the file is in my virus vault I then ran AVG on the flash drive and it came up with another virus CNN and sent it to the virus vault as well I then ran malwarebytes AVG Windows Defender as well as BitDefender online I tried to use Kapersky as well but it appears it is being updated and not available All came up clean So I am thinking the problem is taken care of So I set up AVG to run on the flashdrive again on and it says quot no infection found quot But when I try to access the flash drive as usual it said K access denied that is my USB drive HMMMM now what So I check the drives from My Computer and the K drive has a file folder picture instead of the drive picture When I right click to explore it says K access denied So I went to Windows Explorer to see what files were on the flash drive and it shows my usual files In checking this I looked at the hidden files and found these entries in gray Trojan horse Agent TRI K Recycler helper exe and Trojan horse Dropper Generic AXHE K CNN A Lic exe and autorun inf So I guess the flashdrive is still infected but what is up with the K removable drive issue My computer seems to run okay not slow doesn t redirect to any sites when on the internet either with Firefox or IE I can access the other drives okay My programs seem to run okay Task manager works and my CPU is not showing unusually high demands So what is with the flash drive folder and do you think I am infected or just the flash drive is infected Thanks for your consideration and help Theresa

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/316298/flash-drive-infectionremovable-drive-disabled-access-denied/
Relevancy 58.05%

Greetings I have a GB HDD currently partitioned into C and D drives I want to do something pretty common which is extend a allocated currently D C into to drive space Extending nearly full C drive from the current GB to GB and shrink the remaining partition D drive by the same amount I tried using Disk Management and shrunk D by GB but when I went to extend C it couldn't because the free space wasn't directly Extending C drive into space currently allocated to D to the right of the C drive though it was technically to the right of the drive which pissed me off a little Extending C drive into space currently allocated to D because all these threads are saying you can do it if the free space is to the right of the drive and that's not entirely accurate It must be space immediatly to the right of the drive you want to extend not to the right but separated by another logical partition Since the whole purpose in having the D drive in the first place was to hold the kids large game files there are approx GB of games on it Here's my sitch I want to use Disk management to do this not some other rd party software I have another separate HDD E with GB of free space on it Can I just move the contents of the D drive onto the E drive temporarily delete the D partition extend the C part then rename the remainding space to D move everything back in and expect the kids games to work as they had before Or will the registry get screwed up If you are an IT pro and you think there's a better way to do this by all means I'm all ears Thanks in advance for your help

A:Extending C drive into space currently allocated to D

Quote: Originally Posted by Tongwa

Here's my sitch:
I want to use Disk management to do this; not some other 3rd party software.
I have another separate HDD (E: ) with 250GB of free space on it.

Can I just move the contents of the D drive onto the E drive temporarily; delete the D partition; extend the C part.; then rename the remainding space to D, move everything back in and expect the kids games to work as they had before? Or will the registry get screwed up?

If you are an IT pro and you think there's a better way to do this, by all means.. I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance for your help

There is an easier way to do it.

But you have rejected it with your first condition stated above.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/233579-extending-c-drive-into-space-currently-allocated-d.html
Relevancy 58.05%
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi friends,
I can't find one of my drive after i made my system triple boot (windows 7, ubuntu and fedora).

If you see picture there is a drive of 155 GB un allocated. I can't see that drive any where. how can i get back my drive back.

A:How to make my un allocated drive visible

Unallocated means its not formated and unformatted drives don't get a drive letter. Format it and windows will assign it a drive letter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/185168-how-make-my-un-allocated-drive-visible.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Today my drive just quit showing up in "My Computer" The drive letter E: is gone and in disk management it shows up as unallocated. How do I get all my info back? I have 2 drives one 250G that is in 2 partitions (C: with XP on it and D: games) and a 80G (E: for all my documents).

Thanks for any help.

Relevancy 57.62%

I have same problem like PCuser When when I try open DVD drive from My computer I have message Please insert a disk into drive despite Virus to and USB something access DVD drive or flash drive. else block I have DVD in the drive When when I try open USB flash drive I have message like this The disk is Virus or something else block access to DVD drive and USB flash drive. not formatted Do you want to format it now Yes No despite USB flash drive working on other compute Virus or something else block access to DVD drive and USB flash drive. here is a log Sorry becouse of my bad english thx a lot DDS Ver - - - NTFS x Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Dusko at on - - Microsoft Windows Ultimate GMT AV AVG Internet Security Enabled Updated E C - B - FA - AB - E CB ECD SP Windows Defender Disabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP Spybot - Search and Destroy Disabled Outdated BC DF - CCA- D-A -C CA F A B SP AVG Internet Security Enabled Updated B F C - - E- - BB D A FW AVG Internet Virus or something else block access to DVD drive and USB flash drive. Security Enabled AFA E - CDC- EF - EE-C C ABA Running Processes C PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exe C Windows system wininit exe C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system WLANExt exe C Windows system conhost exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Adobe ARM armsvc exe C xampp apache bin httpd exe C Program Files Common Files Autodata Limited Shared Service ADCDLicSvc exe C Program Files Autodesk Content Service Connect Service ContentService exe C Program Files Common Files Autodesk Shared Service AdskScSrv exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgfws exe C xampp apache bin httpd exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgidsagent exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C Windows system drivers CDAC BA EXE C Program Files Connectify ConnectifyService exe C Windows system crypserv exe C Program Files Connectify ConnectifyD exe C Windows system conhost exe C Windows system FsUsbExService Exe C Windows system inetsrv inetinfo exe C Program Files Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamscheduler exe C Program Files Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamservice exe C Program Files Moborobo MoboroboDeviceService exe c Program Files Common Files Protexis License Service PsiService exe C Program Files RealNetworks RealDownloader rndlresolversvc exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgnsx exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgemcx exe C Program Files TeamViewer Version TeamViewer Service exe C Program Files Common Files AVG Secure Search vToolbarUpdater ToolbarUpdater exe C Program Files Common Files AVG Secure Search vToolbarUpdater loggingserver exe C Windows system conhost exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exe C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Windows Microsoft NET Framework v mscorsvw exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Program Files Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware mbamgui exe C Program Files TeamViewer Version TeamViewer exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files SlimDrivers SlimDrivers exe C Program Files TeamViewer Version tv w exe C Windows System igfxpers exe C Windows System igfxtray exe C Windows system igfxsrvc exe C Windows System hkcmd exe C Program Files Launch Manager HotkeyApp exe C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtHDVCpl exe C Windows VM STI EXE C Program Files Launch Manager WisLMSvc exe C Program Files Connectify Connectify exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgui exe C Program Files AVG Secure Search vprot exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Program Files uTorrent uTorrent exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Windows system taskhost exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Windows System WUDFHost exe C Windows system conhost exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system SearchProtocolHost exe C Windows system SearchFilterHost exe C Windows system conhost exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C Wi... Read more

A:Virus or something else block access to DVD drive and USB flash drive.

Anybody?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/508424/virus-or-something-else-block-access-to-dvd-drive-and-usb-flash-drive/
Relevancy 57.62%

Virus block access to DVD drive and USB flash driveXP PRO SP2 updated to SP3HP desktop computercpu intel e2140When when I try open DVD drive from My computer I have message Please insert a disk into drive despite I have DVD in the driveWhen when I try open USB flash drive I have message like this: The disk is not formatted Do you want to format it now? Yes Nodespite USB flash drive working on other computerWhen I boot from cd-rom Windows PE the DVD drive and usb flash drive working fine no problemsSo far I run rkill, ComboFix found many items, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware full scan found 8 items, Microsoft Security Essentials full scan found 1 item, after all cleaning same problem I try run XP in Diagnostic Startup from Msconfig but still no access to DVD drive and USB flash drive.I appreciate any help

A:Virus block access to DVD drive and USB flash drive

Hello,You will need to Download and Run DDS which will create a Pseudo HJT Report as part of its log..If for some reason you cannot perform a step, move on to the next.Please follow this guide. go and do steps 6 thru 8 ,, Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help . Then go here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs ,click New Topic,give it a relevant Title and post that complete log.Let me know if it went OK.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/297535/virus-block-access-to-dvd-drive-and-usb-flash-drive/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello first of all I would just like to point out that I am not a native speaker so I apologize in advance for the mistakes I might make I have a problem with my external hard drive The drive is Verbatim Last year I unplugged the drive without safely removing it first When I plugged it in again it asked me to format the drive As I didn't wanna loose my files I tried using Recuva and it worked However the process took too long and I was leaving allocated hard drive- initialized, External not for ten months the next day so I had to stop the process I wanted to continue when I got back but the drive wasn't working at all I couldn't even turn it on I kept trying and after some time it started to work again When I plug it in I can't find it in my External hard drive- not initialized, allocated computer But I can find it in the disk management I'm attaching a picture it says it's uninitialized and that it needs to be initialized I don't know what it means and I'm scared it might delete my files It also says that it's allocated and unknown https postimg org image zci fe h External hard drive- not initialized, allocated I downloaded MiniTool External hard drive- not initialized, allocated Partition Wizard and it says that my disk is bad I don't know how to proceed can you please help me Or should I give up https s postimg io mkjzqz f Bez n zvu jpg

A:External hard drive- not initialized, allocated

Welcome to the forum if it's blank it's lost the partition you need specific partition recovery software you don't want normal recovery once the partition is recovered file should be there if you Google free partition recovery there is lots of good free ones

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/399687-external-hard-drive-not-initialized-allocated.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a portable HDD that has a great deal of important stuff on it. It has worked fine, but now when I plug it in nothing shows up and disk management shows it as being not allocated! Is there any way to fix this without losing data, or possible a way to get the data off the HDD?

A:Portable hard drive showing as not allocated

Managed to fix it using http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
Had to rebuild the broken partition table from what I can tell.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/portable-hard-drive-showing-as-not-allocated.642216/
Relevancy 57.62%

I shouldn't say suddenly. It's a 2TB drive I had in an enclosure that took a bump off a short table the other day. It seemed fine when I tested it and pulled up all the folders. But when I went to move a file off of it, the drive disappeared. It shows up in drive manager as not initialized and not allocated. Working with a friend I tried Minitools Partition Wizard, Power Data Recovery, and Easy Recovery. None of them found anything, no partition and no files. I just wanted to check if there were any other suggestions before I gave it up. Seemed weird the folders and files showed up after the drop, then trying to actually access them made it trash itself. I figure it would be gone from the start. Thanks for any tips (if there are any).

A:Drive suddenly shows not initialized and not allocated

It looks like the drive is probably wrecked. It only takes a small knock to irreparably damage the heads particularly if the drive is actually powered & working at the time.
Some firms specialise in data recovery, but I have heard it is very expensive & would only be worth looking into, if the data on the drive was absolutely essential.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/362035-drive-suddenly-shows-not-initialized-not-allocated.html
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi all My wife had a flash drive which was obviously carrying something Its a problem I have had before It duplicates imitates folders on the drive and when clicked computer, - all no flash dirty infects external options, by slower drives drive Reinfected a folder it Reinfected by a dirty flash drive - no folder options, slower computer, infects all external drives infects the PC Lately I see that my PC puts Reinfected by a dirty flash drive - no folder options, slower computer, infects all external drives an EXE file on he flash called data user it doesn t try hide it as a folder but in any folders on the flash appears another EXE with the same name as the containing folder This time my task manager runs fine but my folder options are not available As mentioned it attaches itself to any external drives The PC is running XP Home SP I have another PC at home which I believe to be infected GMER doesn t want to work well I have tried it times it takes hours and eventually freezes up the PC DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Robert at on Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition GMT AV AVG Anti-Virus Free Enabled Updated DDD - FF- F- E B- D D BF Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs svchost exe svchost exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgchsvx exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgrsx exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe svchost exe C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Elements PhotoshopElementsFileAgent exe C xampp apache bin httpd exe C Program Files e syFile Service offlineService exe C Program Files EMACHINES eMachines Recovery Management Service ETService exe C Program Files InFocus LiteShow II TLA ifclsmrsvc exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C WINDOWS system lxdqcoms exe C xampp mysql bin mysqld exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvc C xampp apache bin httpd exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMIndexingService exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXE C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C WINDOWS system igfxsrvc exe C Program Files Cyberlink Power Go CLMLSvc exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVD Serv exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C Program Files Lexmark Z Series lxdqMsdMon exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMBgMonitor exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C PROGRA MI AA rapimgr exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files D Technology d d d exe C Program Files Common Files Intuit QuickBooks QBUpdate qbupdate exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMIndexStoreSvr exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgnsx exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgemc exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exe C Program Files Windows Live Mail wlmail exe C Program Files Windows Live Contacts wlcomm exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe C Program Files Skype Plugin Manager skypePM exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync wcescomm exe C Documents and Settings Robert Desktop dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www DoBroadband co za uInternet Connection Wizard ShellNext hxxp homepage emachines com rdr aspx b ACEW amp l amp s amp o xph amp d amp m ez mSearchAssistant hxxp www google com ie uURLSearchHooks AVG Security Toolbar BHO a bc a - f - -aa - d c - c program files avg avg toolbar IEToolbar dll mURLSearchHooks AVG Security Toolbar BHO a bc a - f - -aa - d c - c program files avg avg toolbar IEToolbar dll BHO Adobe PDF Link Helper df c-e ad- -a -fa c ebdc - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelperShim dll B... Read more

A:Reinfected by a dirty flash drive - no folder options, slower computer, infects all external drives

Hello and welcome to the forums!My secret agent name on the forums is SweetTech (you can call me ST for short), it's a pleasure to meet you. I am very sorry for the delay in responding, but as you can see we are at the moment being flooded with logs which, when paired with the never-ending shortage of helpers, resulted in the delayed responding to your thread.I would be glad to take a look at your log and help you with solving any malware problems.If you have since resolved the issues you were originally experiencing, or have received help elsewhere, please inform me so that this topic can be closed. If you have not, please adhere to the guidelines below and then follow instructions as outlined further below:Logs from malware removal programs (OTL is one of them) can take some time to analyze. I need you to be patient while I analyze any logs you post. Please remember, I am a volunteer, and I do have a life outside of these forums.
Please make sure to carefully read any instruction that I give you. Attention to detail is important! Since I cannot see or directly interact with your computer I am dependent on you to "be my eyes" and provide as much information as you can regarding the current state of your computer.
If you're not sure, or if something unexpected happens, do NOT continue! Stop and ask!
In Windows Vista and Windows 7, all tools need to be started by right clicking and selecting Run as Administrator!
Do not do things I do not ask for, such as running a spyware scan on your computer. The one thing that you should always do, is to make sure sure that your anti-virus definitions are up-to-date!
Please do not use the Attachment feature for any log file. Do a Copy/Paste of the entire contents of the log file and submit it inside your post.
I am going to stick with you until ALL malware is gone from your system. I would appreciate it if you would do the same. From this point, we're in this together ;)
Because of this, you must reply within three days failure to reply will result in the topic being closed!
Please do not PM me directly for help. If you have any questions, post them in this topic.
Lastly, I am no magician. I will try very hard to fix your issues, but no promises can be made. Also be aware that some infections are so severe that you might need to resort to reformatting and reinstalling your operating system.
Don't worry, this only happens in severe cases, but it sadly does happen. Be prepared to back up your data. Have means of backing up your data available.____________________________________________________Rootkit UnHooker (RkU)Please download Rootkit Unhooker from one of the following links and save it to your desktop.Link 1 (.exe file)Link 2 (zipped file)Link 3 (.rar file)In order to use this tool if you downloaded from either of the second two links, you will need to extract the RKUnhookerLE.exe file using a program capable of extracing ZIP and RAR compressed files. If you don't have an extraction program, you can downlaod, install and use the free 7-zip utility.Double-click on RKUnhookerLE.exe to start the program.
Vista/Windows 7 users right-click and select Run As Administrator.Click the Report tab, then click Scan.Check Drivers, Stealth, and uncheck the rest.Click OK.Wait until it's finished and then go to File > Save Report.Save the report to your Desktop.Copy and paste the contents of the report into your next reply.-- Note: You may get this warning...just ignore it, click OK and continue: "Rootkit Unhooker has detected a parasite inside itself! It is recommended to remove parasite, okay?".NEXT:Running OTLWe need to create an OTL ReportPlease download OTL from one of the following mirrors:This is THE MirrorSave it to your desktop.Double click on the icon on your desktop.Click the "Scan All Users" checkbox.Push the button.Two reports will open, copy and paste them in a reply her... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/385463/reinfected-by-a-dirty-flash-drive-no-folder-options-slower-computer-infects-all-external-drives/
Relevancy 56.76%

I know that GB Problem space un-allocated ?? - Disk only Hard 500 GB - Drive 371 HDD manufacturer's use one unit of measurement while OS's use another unit of measurement for HDD disk capacity Hard Drive Problem - 500 GB Disk - only 371 GB un-allocated space ?? I expect my quot GB quot drive to have about GB of actual free space Yet Windows DISKPART and different hard drive testing software programs all indicate that the actual free space on the used HDD I am installing is reported at GB The drive shows up in Windows Disk Management as signed and initialized and sized as GB I thought there might be a hidden partition or a shadow copy of some kind on the drive but I found nothing I ran the drive through the Diskpart command's quot Clean quot process with no change in the free space available I do have Windows system protection ON but only on my quot C quot drive and not on the HDD I am concerned about The HDD did not show up in Systems Properties System Protection I purchased the HDD online as quot used quot I must be missing something but I do not know what Any help will be appreciated bfb

A:Hard Drive Problem - 500 GB Disk - only 371 GB un-allocated space ??

Make & Model of HD ? Sata or IDE ?

a screen shot of Disk Management ?

Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/298698-hard-drive-problem-500-gb-disk-only-371-gb-un-allocated-space.html
Relevancy 56.76%

When when I try open DVD drive from My computer I have message Please insert a disk into drive
despite I have DVD in the drive
When when I try open USB flash drive I have message like this:The disk is not formatted Do you want to format it now? Yes No
and then windows 7 show me error ''windows was unable to complete the format''
despite USB flash drive working on other computer same problem is with the Sd cards.

Previous MRL topic:   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/508424/virus-or-something-else-block-access-to-dvd-drive-and-usb-flash-drive/page-2

:Please help, I do not know what to do anymore.
Sorry because of my bad english.

A:Blocked Access, DVD drive and USB flash drive

Please download Minitollbox from here. And save to your desktop.

Run it and select following options:
List last 10 event viewer errors
List Installed programs
List Devices >>> Problem only
List Users, partitions and memory size
List Minidump files
List Restore points
Then click GO and wait, the logfile will open, copy all its contents and paste in your next reply.

Thank you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/508951/blocked-access-dvd-drive-and-usb-flash-drive/
Relevancy 56.76%

I suddenly lost access to a USB flash drive while using my laptop on the road The laptop went into hibernation when I woke it up the flash drive had suddenly disappeared Plugging it into different USB ports didn't help or for that matter plugging it into USB ports on a different computer When I plug it in Windows sees that a removable drive is available accurately Can't USB drive flash access reports it as a Silicon-Power G USB drive in Device Properties and even assures me that it's working properly But that's it I can't check for errors because Windows reports that it can't access the disk If I try to access the flash drive with the command line Windows reports 'There is no disk in the drive ' I downloaded the free recovery tool 'Recuva ' as recommended at data recovery tools for SD Can't access USB flash drive cards USB drives and more - Computerworld and that didn't Can't access USB flash drive help If anyone has any ideas I hope you'll share them My unhappy guess is that I either hire a professional data recovery firm or kiss the files goodbye

A:Can't access USB flash drive

See if the device is missing a drive letter assigned to it in disk management.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...#1TC=windows-7

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/330620-cant-access-usb-flash-drive.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I have a 4gb GigaBank from GS Magic that I have used on several computers. All of a sudden I can no longer access it.
It show up as a drive (Drive F: on this Computer)
It gives me a message stating...
F:is not accessable
The parameter is incorrect

It shows up in My Computer & also in Device Manager
Any thoughts or Ideas

Tom

A:USB flash drive Cant access it

Try reformatting it in Disk Management.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-flash-drive-cant-access-it.559359/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi, Happy New Year. Just bought a Scandisk Cruzer 2Gb USB Flash Drive, it seemed to be accepted and indeed appears as a USB drive letter on, "MY Computer" list, however, when I try to do anything with it, the message appears, "You do not have access to the folder 'G:\'. See your administrator for access to this folder". What is the procedure for obtaining access to this drive, I have never had cause to access the administrator before.
Cheers, Gordon.

A:Cannot access USB flash Drive

One possibility is that there are file permissions on the drive that are blocking your access. See this for an explanation.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-usb-flash-drive.974664/
Relevancy 56.76%

I cannot access my flash drive. When I inserted it into my computer, an error message popped out and asked me to format it. Can this be fixed? I cannot format it since there is a great amount of data. What should I do to access it again?

A:I cannot access my flash drive.

Don’t worry! “Not formatted” error problem is not difficult to fix, provided that you follow the right steps.
Firstly, plunge this flash drive to your computer via a USB cable and stop writing anything new data on it till you’ve restored all your data back. Any new data would rewrite your original data and make it gone permanently. So, you should pay attention.
Secondly, download a third-party data recovery tool to regain your inner data. There are many data recovery tools online. If you want to have much more security of complete data recovery, you could pay for a data recovery software online or data recovery service of a data recovery company. If you have no extra money for this stuff, don’t worry, you also could select some data recovery freeware online, such as Recuva, iCare Data Recovery Free and PhotoRec, etc.
Thirdly, follow the instruction of this software to restore your data back.
Fourthly, format this flash drive to return its functional use after successfully restoring all your data back.
Edit: In the future, you are supposed to back up everything important on different drives in case of data loss.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-cannot-access-my-flash-drive.1096339/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi If someone could help me would be very appreciated My usb flash drive was working without problems until today I dont know if the problem can be caused by the laptop that run out of battery So now when i enter My computer it loads a while and when if drive letter appiers i can rightclick the drive and chose to open it gives message Please insert driver I tried to chkdsk and it will give me message that cant open volym for directaccesss Now i also tried to see in prog GetDataBack for fat and it Usb access CANT Drive Flash wont find the drive letter i used another prog as well wich gave CANT access Usb Flash Drive me the following error File or device error the parameter is incorrect so i think the drive CANT access Usb Flash Drive lost its formatting can i get the data back that was stored on it Now when i rightclick the driver in properties there is bytes in free space bytes used I have done somehting similiar before but it was a usb hd not a usb stick This one is a verbatim Store n go Pls help me CANT access Usb Flash Drive to get back the data

A:CANT access Usb Flash Drive

someone out there who have a clue
any ideas would be appreciated.
Maybe there is some magic tool to get my data back.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/242683-cant-access-usb-flash-drive.html
Relevancy 56.76%

did a repair of xp pro and now i cant get to my flash drive.
it shows in my computer but when i click an error message says cant access h:
had the problem with sp2 then installed sp3. if i put one of my other flash drives in it works fine. the problem flash drive works fine in my other 2 computers. i have reformat the drive in one of my other computers but did not help. when i try to format on the problem computer it says i do not rights to perform. i am the only person using these computers so i have admin rights. when i tried to do a defrag of my hard drives i got an error messages about not having rights.
any help would be appreciated.

A:cant access my flash drive

I wonder why it is H:?
Do you have something using letter E: on the problem computer?
What drive letter does the flash use on the computer that works?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-access-my-flash-drive-311776.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I have a Ultrapro USB flash drive. I do not have the drivers or software..how can I access the files on the drive! HELP!!

Relevancy 56.76%

I have an mp3 player from mpman, and it's worked fine (actually it does some strange things, but that's perhaps besides the point), but recently whenever, I connect it to my computer through USB, I can't open it. When I attach the mp3 player my computer, it does the usual search for autoplay, and then when it finds none asks me what I want to do. If I click select open with windows explorer, it works fine. if I close this window and try to access it through my computer, I get the following message:

Windows Script Host
Can not find script file "G:\.MGT_reg32.dll.vbs".
[OK]

I can still sync it with Windows Media Player though, but the problem is getting worse because it no longer gives me the option of selecting what to do after it searches for autoplay. What should I do?

A:Can't access flash drive

Does this drive work in another computer? Please try if you do not know then you will know if it is the drive or the port in this computer even though it works for mp3....

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-access-flash-drive-256248.html
Relevancy 56.76%

i did a repair of xp pro and now i cant get to my flash drive.
it shows in my computer but when i click an error message says cant access h:
or please insert disk.
please help

Relevancy 56.33%

Hey guys, quick question. I just allocated more space to my system restore to ensure that when i back up files/docs there will be sufficient space. But does the allocated space for system restore affect at all how much space is allocated for backup? If not, i will would like to turn back down the allocated space for the restore. Dont want too many restore points Thanks alot for the input!

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
Service Pack 1
Computer is ASUS laptop
4 gb of ram
64 bit system

A:Does allocated space for sys restore affect allocated space for backup

System restore data is kept on your primary partition, backup data would need to be stored on another partition or better still - another drive, so the answer is no.... but that said if you're asking will the space allocated for System Restore affect drive imaging backups, then the answer is it will increase the size of the backup images...

That said, why would you need to operate both System Restore and Drive Imaging?

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/207002-does-allocated-space-sys-restore-affect-allocated-space-backup.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I just reinstalled my OS and inserted the flash drive. It installed properly, but after I checked it the files looked like in the screenshot I attached and I can't open them. I don't want to format it because I have a lot of important files on it. I'm not sure but I think it has something to do with Virtualbox which I installed before inserting the flash drive but overall, I really don't have a clue about what's happening with it so can someone please help me?

A:Cannot access files on USB flash drive

I think that's just the shortcut file.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/294750-cannot-access-files-usb-flash-drive.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all,

I create a new XP Mode in win7, but when I was try to access my usb flash drive in the XP Mode, prompt a error message: "Could not attach the USB device. You can attach the USB device to a different USB port or restart the
virtual machine and try again."

I already try to restart virtual machine and my physic machine but still not work... And I use the same way to install the XP Mode in the other machine can access usb flash drive. So.. Can someone tell me why I can't access my UFD?
Thanks in advance! :)

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/830e472e-f397-47b3-90eb-ea5ad17ebf21/cant-access-usb-flash-drive-in-xp-mode?forum=w7itprovirt
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello I have a gb flash drive and some how when I was formatting it the computer only Able Access Drive Entire Not Flash to formatted mb out of the available gb I have no idea how to get the computer to format the rest of the drive The computer sees the rest of the flash drive but it wont let me delete the original partition and it wont let me partition the gb i locked up When I try to format the gb part it says quot An unexpected error has occured Check the System Event Log for more information on the error Close the Disk Management console then restart Disk Management or restart the computer quot I have restarted the computer and the disk management console to no avail I have poked around the application event viewer and I cold not pinpoint this error so I don't have anymore details from the computer Here is a screen shot I took of the disk manager Disk is the flash drive that I am having trouble with When I right click to delete the mb partition the 'delete' option is grayed out and unclickable I am running Windows Professional x Thank you for your time Adam

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/not-able-to-access-entire-flash-drive-446379.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I think this flash USB Cannot drive access Solved: is pretty much hosed but I thought it would be worth a shot posting it here and see what experts think I bought Transcend JF V gb few months Solved: Cannot access USB flash drive ago and it was working fine until few days ago I cannot access ti anymore Here s the problem My windows recognizes the drive and installs drivers and says it s ready to be used but it looks like it doesn t mount it as a USB storage but as a removable drive and assigns it a letter E When I try to double click on it it says quot Please insert a disk into drive quot like it was a CD ROM or something I cannot format it because it gives error quot quot there s no disk in drive E quot I have tried different format utilities manufactures low level and HP with no luck When I go to Disk management in XP it sees it as a empty CD drive or something since I can t right click and choose format It won t let me install manufacture s software since it it says there s no drive it won t let me low level format since it sees it as a CD drive Friend of mine tried access it on his BSD and linux box but there it just doesn t sees it I did research on this and others have same issue but I found no solution I would say if someone founds a solution I would buy them lunch or a drink but the best I can do online is big thanks so Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Solved: Cannot access USB flash drive

I think your first conclusion is the correct one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cannot-access-usb-flash-drive.783491/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi there I am having a wee bit of trouble with my flash drive I did read this http www techspot com vb topic html thread and it s not that sort of problem Basically what happened is my flash drive worked fine then I re-installed Windows XP on Monday and since then I have been unable to access the flash drive There is nothing wrong with the flash itself it opens on both a friend s computer and the one at work I have tried both the front Problem flash access drive USB plug ins and the ones at the back no luck I don t think there is anything wrong with the computer itself because my tablet still functioned as normal when I plugged it in My Mp player is generally Problem access flash drive treated as a flash drive by my computer as well and while I could charge it I Problem access flash drive couldn t access any of the Problem access flash drive files on it either The same also happened when I tried someone else s flash drive Windows does recognise that the flash drive is there it gives me the little quot new hardware found quot message and the flash drive appears in the Device Manager where it is enabled and supposedly working fine When I click on the safely remove hardware icon in my tray the flash drive is listed and closing it tells me its safe to take it out Only when I open My Computer or Windows Explorer there is no drive for it listed where there should be an E drive there is just nothing Is there somewhere else I have to go to enable it nbsp

A:Problem access flash drive

do other USB devices work properly when plugged in to your computer?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-access-flash-drive.53570/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello I have a gb flash drive and some how when I was formatting it the computer only formatted mb out of the available gb I have no idea how to get the Not Entire Access Drive to Flash Able computer to format the rest of the drive The computer sees the rest of the flash drive but it wont let me delete the original partition and it wont let me partition the gb i locked up When I try to format the gb part it says quot An unexpected error has Not Able to Access Entire Flash Drive occured Check the System Event Log for more information on the error Close the Disk Management console then restart Disk Management or restart the computer quot I have restarted the computer and the disk Not Able to Access Entire Flash Drive management console to no avail I have poked around the application event viewer and I cold not pinpoint this error so I don t have anymore details from the computer Here is a screen shot I took of the disk manager Disk is the flash drive that I am having trouble with When I right click to delete the mb partition the delete option is grayed out and unclickable I am running Windows Professional x Thank you for your time nbsp

A:Not Able to Access Entire Flash Drive

You may be looking into this for some time!
As a quick workaround, try and follow the same procedure on a different computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/not-able-to-access-entire-flash-drive.889657/
Relevancy 55.9%

I am running Windows XP on a Dell drive files Cannot flash on access USB Vostro but my Cannot access files on USB flash drive Gb USB Cannot access files on USB flash drive flashdrive has suddenly stopped working The removable drive F does appear on the Windows Explorer screen but - Windows Explorer yields the response Please insert a disk into drive F - The format command yields There is no disk in drive F Please insert a disk and try again - The Properties link shows that the drive has capacity zero all fully used - I tried using the Device Manager but without success - Easeus Data recovery program does not recognize the existence of the F drive All the data on the drive was backed up and a replacement costs about so I have not lost anything but I would very much like to learn what has happened Could this have been caused by inadvertently unplugging the USB while it was not safe to do so Is there some software that would permit me to recover the files or at least reformat the drive Or Is this just a hardware malfunction and I should discard the drive Thanks in advance Thoughtful Skeptic

A:Cannot access files on USB flash drive

Hello,How to Format a Flash Drive

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/338805/cannot-access-files-on-usb-flash-drive/
Relevancy 55.9%

When I try to access (doubleclick in My Computer) the USB drive's contents a dialog box appears, saying "The disk in Drive H is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?" with a yes and no button. When I choose yes, it says "The disk in Drive H cannot be formatted". I have tried accessing the drive in another different computer (with Windows XP SP1) and the same thing happens.

I use WinXP SP1, the drive is a JetFlash 256mb USB 2.0 Flash drive.

A:Cannot access and format USB flash drive

i would suspect that the drive is bad...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-access-and-format-usb-flash-drive.37548/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi there,

HELP! I did read the Flash drive recovery post and it's not looking good for me but would like some input if anyone can help....

The issue: Using a 8gb USB flash drive and I'm unable to access the files. I am able to see it as a removable device - however the name is now "removable device" as opposed to the actual name - I can see in the properties the storage capacity and what is left - but it says "this folder is empty"?

Did I somehow screw this thing up? Is there a way to get my files back?

I get the same result when I plug it into any computer.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
z

A:Can see flash drive, but unable to access

u can try using this utuility to format the drive.

HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool - v2.1.8

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-see-flash-drive-but-unable-to-access.160477/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a HP pavilion 8562 computer running windows 98se operating system.
My sbc dsl 2wire network went down. After I re-establish the network and dsl I could not access my floppy disk drive or my cd-rom drives (2).
I checked the ide cables and anything is connected correctly. My Computer shows all 3 drives but when I try to access them I get access denied message. The drives are as follows:
Aopen CD-RW CRW 3248
Liteon DVD-Rom LTD 163
Mitusmi 1.44 standard floppy disk drive
I have tried to download drivers but to no avail. How do I get my computer to recognize the 3 drives ? Thanks for your help.

A:access floppy disk drive and cd-rom drives

Boot into dos (hit F8 repeatedly when the machine is booting and select safe mode command prompt only)
and see if you can access the floppy drive under dos,

if so something is fudged, you will probably need to reinstall your motherboard drivers. (there are no drivers for a floppy)

If that doesn't work you can try deleting the devices while in safe mode from the system panel and see if they properly reinstall.

Last ditch effort would be to reinstall windows

Play around and see. From what I gather on the net once you see that error, usually you have to reinstall windows

If you can't access the floppy drive under dos something is really wrong, I would suggest resetting the cmos and seeing what happens.

Good Luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/access-floppy-disk-drive-and-cd-rom-drives.218206/
Relevancy 55.9%

Have Dell Dimension 9150
Local Disk C 39.6 GB Free of 60.4 - Win 7 O/S only is loaded on here - OK
Local Disk D 86.2 MB free of 99.0 MB - How can I see whats loaded on here?
Local Disk E 168 GB free of 168 GB - I want to load Programmes on here ie Office/AVG/Security Software
/My Docs/Pics/etc - What is best way to do this?
Local Disk F 3.97 GB free of 4.01 GB - Really don't need this could move space to Disk E if that's possible

Any advice would be much appreciated Than You.....

A:How to access drives to see what software is loaded on each drive?

Please post back a screenshot of Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image. It sounds like you installed on the Recovery partition and have abandoned the 100mb System Active Boot partition. But let's see the screenshot to be sure.

I would consider doing a proper Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 reading the SPecial Note to Dell OWners at the end about whether Diagnostics will still boot so you can save that partition if so . Then during install set up one large OS partition for OS and Programs which should be together. You can separate data out to its own partition if you want to keep the OS image smaller.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/349490-how-access-drives-see-what-software-loaded-each-drive.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I realize there are other posts regarding flash drives and access denied but this is a little different At the community college they use Flash Drives to hold the excel files with data on students The computer which is a Dell Precision running WinXP recognizes the Kingston MB USB Mass Storage Device but when I click from My Computer it says F Access Denied It also says Access Denied if I right-click and select Explore or Open The only time it allows me to access the USB is when I right-click Auto-Play - gt View Files and Folders I realize that since there is a solution there really Drive F:/ Access Kingston Flash Denied isn t any need to post But not everyone is computer savvy and therefore wouldn t know to do the Auto-Run if they closed the Auto-Run dialog and later had to access it The computer is ran through a Network if I m not mistaken But since I m just a workstudy it s not like they tell me everything about the system specs and Kingston Flash Drive F:/ Access Denied things of any nature similar nbsp

A:Kingston Flash Drive F:/ Access Denied

perhaps its just an 'ownership' issue and you have to 'Take Ownership'
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421
and HERE

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/kingston-flash-drive-f-access-denied.947151/
Relevancy 55.47%

New to drive no but loads access USB files FLASH to the USB FLASH drive loads but no access to files forums here because I just recently started using Win Last week I purchased three HP Compaq Elite computers with Win Pro for a client to upgrade their small business network Last night I went out to set up the last two first one stand USB FLASH drive loads but no access to files alone system Everything went well with getting them to communicate but then I pulled off the data from the old computer Win XP Pro to a new flash drive I inserted the flash drive into the new computer It proceeded to find it load the driver and tell me it was available But when I go to get the files it tells me that it is empty I need to run home for something else so I take the flash drive with me and check it against my computers at home XP pro and Win home it shows up and gives me access to the files No big deal I think I'll just use my external HDD so I take it back and transfer the folders and files to it I get the same issue W finds it loads the drivers tells me it's available for use but tells me there are no files or that I don't have access to the drive I try to take control of the drive through the security but still no love I've tried searches for this issue and I've found some who have said that they went into disk management and changed the drive letter did that no change I've gone into the security settings within W and gave everyone access permissions This HP computer has some sort of HP security system built in I can't remember the actual name I've been through the settings in it and gave permissions to access removable drives Nothing I've done makes any difference Now sometimes when I insert the flash drive it doesn't even show up in quot My Computer quot Even after all this I didn't think it would matter since they have this computer backed up with Carbonite but we had trouble downloading the data but that is another issue I'm at the end of my rope Please any help to resolve this problem would be greatly appreciated Sorry for the long post but felt like you needed all the info I could supply Oh I won't be going back out there until this evening Thursday

A:USB FLASH drive loads but no access to files

Is this a major brand flash drive bought from a reputable dealer?

The market is flooded with cheap fakes from Asia, usually marked with brands such as Sony. They are counterfeits, using low-end chips that are modded to display a large but fake capacity. When you try to save files to them, failures are common. You'll see loads of eBay listings for such counterfeits, with prices unrealistically low for large capacity when compared to the legit brand name models.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/268936-usb-flash-drive-loads-but-no-access-files.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey i'm new here and I need some help Log My Drive Hijackthis Can't Flash Removable (fd)! Access - I hope I can get it Recently I had to insert a friend's Flash Drive FD into my computer as I needed to transfer files However as I put it in Kaspersky detected Hijackthis Log - Can't Access My Removable Flash Drive (fd)! a virus and something got deleted i'm not sure what but I think it Hijackthis Log - Can't Access My Removable Flash Drive (fd)! was deleted So whenever I put in an FD into the computer now under 'My Computer' I can still access the folder via right clicking and 'autoplay' but I can't access it by double clicking and instead by double clicking an 'Open With' dialogue box pops up I have got some reports and they are shown below Main txtLogfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exec program files common files logitech lvmvfm LVPrcSrv exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC Program Files PowerISO PWRISOVM EXEC Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exeC Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus avp exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC WINDOWS system LVCOMSX EXEC Program Files Logitech Video CameraAssistant exeC WINDOWS system ElkCtrl exeC Program Files D-Link AirPlus G AirGCFG exeC Program Files ANI ANIWZCS Service WZCSLDR exeC Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exeC Program Files Mediafour MacDrive MacDriveD exeC Program Files Windows Live Messenger MsnMsgr ExeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeC WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E FATICDP EXEC Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync wcescomm exeC Program Files OpenOffice org program soffice exeC PROGRA MI AA rapimgr exeC Program Files OpenOffice org program soffice BINC WINDOWS system devldr exeC Program Files ANI ANIWZCS Service ANIWZCSdS exeC Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exeC Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus avp exeC WINDOWS Microsoft NET Framework v mscorsvw exeC Program Files Digidesign Drivers MMERefresh exeC Program Files Mediafour MacDrive MacDriveServiceD exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Viewpoint Common ViewpointService exeC Program Files iPod bin iPodService exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC Program Files Windows Live Messenger usnsvc exeC Documents and Settings Asad Khalid Desktop dss exeC WINDOWS system wuauclt exeC PROGRA TRENDM HIJACK Asad Khalid exeR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C PROGRA MICROS Office GRA E DLLO - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dllO - BHO Windows Live Toolbar Helper - BDBD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar msntb dllO - BHO FlashFXP Helper for Internet Explorer - E A B-D - -AD - B EE - C PROGRA FlashFXP IEFlash dllO - Toolbar Windows Live Toolbar - BDAD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar msntb dllO - HKLM R... Read more

A:Hijackthis Log - Can't Access My Removable Flash Drive (fd)!

HIPlease run this Flash_Disinfector tool by sUBs ... http://www.techsupportforum.com/sectools/s...Disinfector.exe Just download the exe file and double click on it to run it...then follow instructions A box will pop up telling you to plug in your flash drive and click OK to start the disinfection ... by the way if you try to cross the box of with the X in the corner ... it will run anyway ... after a few seconds a box will pop up saying "done" -When you have done that ... please download "Mountpoints Diagnostic.zip" by Mosaic1 http://www.help2go.com/index2.php?option=c...oad&id=1450Unzip it & Double click to run it. It will create a report named Diagnostic.txt. When finished, upload Diagnostic.txt in your next post ...steam

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/141342/hijackthis-log-cant-access-my-removable-flash-drive-fd/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi I get the following error when attempting have Flash access "You permission currently don't Drive to to access my drive quot You don't currently have permission to access this folder Click Continue to permanently get access to this folder quot Upon clicking Continue another error pops up quot Flash Drive "You don't currently have permission to access You have been denied permission to access this folder To gain access to this folder you will need to use the security tab quot Security tab is an underlined link that opens the properties manager for the drive however there is no security tab I assume because the flash drive is considered a virtual drive which is typical so I can't take ownership of the drive as suggested by all the Google searches I did This is GIGABYTE laptop runs Win single language -bit upon testing my flash drive in other desktops around the office it works perfectly fine it also works just fine on my desktop at home but not on my laptop The account on my laptop is also an admin however I am Flash Drive "You don't currently have permission to access the only user

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/61094-flash-drive-you-dont-currently-have-permission-access.html