Windows Support Forum

Create user with limited admin rights

Q: Create user with limited admin rights

Is it possible to create user account with limited administration permissions?
I would like to create user with permissions for installing and removing programs and access to "basic" setting.
It must not have access to Local GPO, Registry... - "advanced" settings.

Please advise.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Create user with limited admin rights

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Create user with limited admin rights

The only way to do this would be to control the PC via Group Policy. There is no other way of limiting someone's administrative power.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/create-user-with-limited-admin-rights-1065250.html
Relevancy 27.95%

Hello, I'll try to be as clear as I can.

I have my computer hooked up to my router with an Ethernet cable. About an hour ago the Limited sign popped up. With the cable connected it says Limited, but I can freely use the internet. When I take the cable out, under connections it still only says "Ethernet Limited" and I can't use the internet. I'm not sure about any specs to my comp. All I know Is I'm using windows 8 and it's from Toshiba. I know it's not much to go on, but I'm losing my mind and any help would be wonderful. Thank you.

This picture is how it looks when the cable is, and isn't, plugged in.

A:Limited Access with Ethernet, even when not connected

With the cable pulled out, the picture is correct (for a wired Lan Connection).
When it is attached AND you have access to the Internet, it should not be limited.
SO, get a command prompt ( start->run and enter CMD ) and enter

IPCONFIG /ALL >myTCP.txt
then NOTEPAD myTCP.txt
copy the contents and PASTE that as your follow-up

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-access-with-ethernet-even-when-not-connected.217393/
Relevancy 25.8%

I have my house wired for separate gigabit Ethernet networks I want to create one network let s call it quot A quot that everyone can get at for backups AV files etc That network would have specific physically separate hard drives in the Win server I want to then create a second network let s call it quot B quot that is only for SOHO stuff It too would have physically separate drives in the server Can I do that Also do I 7 Create 2 NIC Networks? - Dual Can Machine Win Diff. I need anything special with the dual NIC arrangement I can use a Dual NIC Win 7 Machine - Can I Create 2 Diff. Networks? x dual NIC or get a board with dual NIC s And of course I have different gigabit switches as well I am guessing one network would need to be X and the other X which is fine The main thing I want to do is make sure that the hard drives assigned to network A can t be read or altered by network B and vice-versa As a matter of fact I don t want A drives shares visible on the B network or vice versa What do I need to do in terms of IP range static or DHCP subnets drive assigning etc I ve never tried something like this before I don t want to do something like give drive shares different passwords because all that does is create quot forbidden fruit quot and such If Dual NIC Win 7 Machine - Can I Create 2 Diff. Networks? the drives are never seen they are never wondered about Thanks for any thoughts nbsp

A:Dual NIC Win 7 Machine - Can I Create 2 Diff. Networks?

Yes, it's doable. The layout (wiring) can be two variation:

Code:

(A)
modem == router----pc----NAS/hd's
|
+------- other devices

(B)
modem == router1---- pc
|
+---- router2 --- other devices

Whether wired or wifi connected, the controls are similar - - which layout to you favor?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-nic-win-7-machine-can-i-create-2-diff-networks.209011/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello,

I bought a R9 270X by XFX. My current specs are:

CPU: AMD A10 7800k (Standard Clock Speeds, Graphics Disabled)
RAM: 4GB (2 sticks, both working)
Motherboard: FM2, Gigabyte
PSU: 500 watt 80+ Cert Silver
HDD: 500GB WD Blue

So the issue is that the R9 card consistenly crashes out of all games no matter if I uninstall the drivers or reinstall them. I have tried removing the drivers through catalyst control center and through application based tools (DisplayDriverUninstaller). Once I uninstall and reinstall, it works, until the computer is restarted and then rinse and repeat.

Is this the card saying it is dying? If so it is a weird way of graphics card dying.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/r9-270x-doa-or-user-error.209138/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi,

I am playing around with Server 2012. If I want to have a laptop configured for "at office use" with option to go on site, what would be the best way to do that in order to retain access to shared locations on server that is "at office"?

Should I create a standard windows account unrelated to my domain controller, and have them VPN regardless if they are in office or on site? Or is there a way to have a laptop configured for domain use, where it will still be functional (local computer use) on site outside of the office, even without internet connection (I know you can's VPN without it).

Thanks

A:Best way to set up local and remote user with Server 2012

Well this is kind of interesting. You can in fact use a domain laptop away from the local network as long as you have logged into int once on the domain so it can cache your password for future log ins. Now comes to the more difficult part of your question's. Accessing files remotely while not online, you can set up what is called offline files. Offline files will give you acess to your files away from domain network. So if you choose to do offline files any changes made to the file while away from the domain controller where you shares are set up will have to be synced once back on the domain network. So if you make changes to lets say docA while off domain network, once you get back to domain network you will have to sync offline files to the server to update any changes you have made. This set up would not require offsite network but can bring problems when syncing once you reconnect on domain. But now lets say you have the same shares and now you have multiple individials with the same access to the shares. Say you make changes to docA and the other person makes changes to docA while offiste. Once you both reconnect and sync to server you could have issues with data such as duplicate information or doc merging. VPN would be the best option for sure....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-way-to-set-up-local-and-remote-user-with-server-2012.206403/
Relevancy 21.07%

I bought a ADSL Modem D-Link 2730U

We are connecting to the Modem via Laptop, PC, Phone,... at the same time.

I want to know how can I monitor network(Receive/Send) for each user who connected to the Modem.

Can I do such thing?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitoring-network-for-each-user-connected-to-adsl-router-modem.206910/
Relevancy 27.52%

jobeard Hi jobeard In the beginning of the month you seemed to have solved this issue http www techspot com community topics internet-connection-through-ethernet-but-not-wifi You or someone else might be a great help for me as well since I have a similar issue At home I don t have access to wifi it says limited access although the internet is working fine by an ethernet cable at home In addition I do have access to wifi at work or in public places like a hotel I have already browsed the web but I still cannot figure it out An TCP wifi Limited but at home, other acces not places at IP Limited wifi acces at home, but not at other places reset did not work the drivers of my wifi adapter Limited wifi acces at home, but not at other places should be fine My system information - HP Elitebook - Windows Enterprise Edition bit - wifi router DrayTek Vigor AP this device acts as an access point that broadcasts wifi it is not the actual modem If you have any advice for me please let me know it is strange that I only have this wifi probem Is it maybe because there is an homegroup actually I don t know whether there is one Is it maybe because of the AV program I have McAffee but since it this the laptop from work I can t uninstall it I really don t know anymore I have included files with the output of the commands IPCONFIG ALL and ROUTE PRINT Thank you in advance nbsp

A:Limited wifi acces at home, but not at other places

Hello maarten747 ,

As far as I can see from the ipconfig output your laptop doesn't seem to obtain IP address.
You could try configuring one manually to test this theory. Something like: IP address 192.168.1.128, Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0, Gateway: 192.168.1.1, DNS1: 192.168.1.1, DNS2: 8.8.8.8 . Just keep in mind that the details listed here are just a guess as I'm not fully aware of the specifics of your home network and a static IP configuration for the wifi adapter is not a good idea actually, so once done testing change it back to obtain IP address automatically.

Also in what wireless operation mode is your DrayTek configured?
Do you have any other wireless devices that are connecting to the same DrayTek ?
When you connect your laptop with ethernet cable, is the ethernet cable connected to the same DrayTek or a different device?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-wifi-acces-at-home-but-not-at-other-places.205603/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have joined a computer (PC1) to a domain control server (2008), and user able to login using their domain user account - although recently I have found out that even though the computer (PC1) do not connect to a server, user still able to access using their domain account.
Is there a way for me to restrict domain account user from accessing the computer (PC1) if they are disconnected from server?
Hope my explanation make sense to you guyz.

Thank in advance

A:Prevening domain user from accessing Computer

Lots to be considered. Joining a domain is intended to give the company admin configuration control of all the company users.
This is normal, expected and even proper for the company to do this.

restrict domain account userClick to expand...

hmm; only the company admin should be able to do this and almost always it is done using some scripts, NOT by loggin into your PC. So - - who is accessing your PC remotely, the admin - - how do you know this occurs?

PCs joined to a domain usually get a replacement for PC Login - - the network form and that creates a link to the domain controller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/prevening-domain-user-from-accessing-computer.204127/
Relevancy 21.93%

I finally found out why my wireless keyboard didn't work as I mentioned in another thread several months back.
Evidently the USB wifi thingy was in a USB port that didn't work. When I was going thru this thread http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unknown-device.202706/
I removed it thinking it might be the unknown device.
Anyhow, I've been trying to find the manual for my wireless KB & can't find it.
I'm not sure which number(s) I need. MS PART NO. X820309-001
Serial number or Product ID? Here it is

A:MS Keyboard user manual help

Well, I went here http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/en-us/d/wireless-keyboard-3000 & despite the fact its default language is English, the downloads are in any language BUT.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ms-keyboard-user-manual-help.202759/
Relevancy 20.64%

I have networked PCs before many times successfully so this is not my first time trying to network PCs in a home environment Though I m wondering if Windows is part of the problem I would have thought that for sure until one of the name credentials bad password? user with unknown even correct failure: or "Logon new laptops running W would not connect to any of the other three PCs Laptops running W Yet these other three W PCs Laptops CAN connect to this laptop Then it gets a little more "Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password? even with correct credentials interesting this same laptop that couldn t connect to those three W PCs Laptops CAN connect to a Windows desktop and a XP Laptop and those two can also connect back to it without issue It s almost like my network is divided in half and only half can talk to each other But then when I thought it couldn t get any more interesting I realized the first three W PCs Laptops can talk to the others it s just that the others W Laptop W Desktop XP Laptop can t talk back to them without getting the error quot Logon failure unknown user name or bad password even though the username and password are correct I don t fully understand this error because on the surface it s just WRONG My username and password are correct but it appears something somewhere is interfering or hijacking the authentication process Three of the computers laptops are brand new just purchased last week and setup this week The HostPC is also fairly new just purchased last month I am not using a HomeGroup and have removed all computers that were part of a HomeGroup I have enabled file sharing and network discovery and enabled Use user accounts and passwords to connect to other computers on all PCs I have DSL and am using the wireless modem provided by my ISP which has router functionality built into it It is a Sagemcom Model F ST N All computers are connected wirelessly Time is correct on all PCs I cannot use Group Policy since they re all Standard or Home edition DHCP is enabled and all computers are on the same subnet using the x range of ip addresses The six computers are as follows I figured this may make is easier to visualize the layout HostPC HP Desktop W PC Name DrsBlend U N DrsBlend p w not showing my real password PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Laptop W PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC HP Desktop W SP PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W PC Dell Laptop XP SP PC Name DrsBlend- U N DrsBlend P W Every PC stated above has the same user name and password and is logged-in with the username DrsBlend and the password The quot Logon failure unknown user name or bad password happens when trying to access HostPC PC or PC from PC PC or PC The HostPC can see and connect to all the PCs but only PC and PC can talk back or access the HostPC It s like the HostPC and PC and PC are in their own little clique and can talk back and forth to each other Those three PCs can also talk to PC PC and PC as well but PC PC and PC cannot talk back to them HostPC PC PC Profile corruption I would have entertained that thought but the fact the first three PCs can access and talk to one another kind of defeats that idea and the fact the PCs were just recently setup Firewall Disabled and disabled TrendMicro with no change With them on off the first three PCs can still talk to each other and the rest of the PCs Anyone have any additional suggestions nbsp

A:"Logon failure: unknown user name or bad password” even with correct credentials

I experienced a similar problem when I was trying to network my 8.1 machine the host network. As you say the host PC can see and connect to all of the machines, but not the other way around. Not sure if it is the same in your situation but I found that Microsoft's idea of network sharing on the Windows 8 class of OS differs greatly from previous OS's in that you can connect to it from an external host, but when trying to do the other way around it doesn't "see" the PC in question due to differing network sharing protocols included in the OS.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I am speaking only from what happened with my network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/logon-failure-unknown-user-name-or-bad-password%E2%80%9D-even-with-correct-credentials.201313/
Relevancy 27.52%

So here is the deal I 27-inch monitor 2560x1440 (limited options) am in search of 27-inch 2560x1440 monitor (limited options) a -inch monitor with a x resolution so I can use it with my early -inch retina MacBook Pro and also with other laptops such as my girlfriend s Asus VivoBook and any other 27-inch 2560x1440 monitor (limited options) laptop that I decide to buy I have alrady discarded a x model as I learned that my retina MacBook Pro will not support such a high resolution on an external screen I do not use it for heavy photo or video editing or anything It is basically web browsing and productivity office applications First an explanation The fact is that I live in Brazil and offers of p monitors here are very limited I cannot just order a monitor from the US or from other country such as Korea because the huge taxes charged by the government will make it just not worth it I have made the calculations Even a very cheap US monitor will end up costing about US when it arrives in my home due to the magic of Brazilian taxes And a US monitor may end up costing almost US And that is only after the Brazilian customs office decides to release the product which may take a few months Perhaps you have heard of some guy who sends products to Brazil at no additional cost and that really exists It is calling smuggling and people may get caught doing that and I am not ordering a monitor through a smuggler to save a few bucks No workarounds here So the option of not buying in Brazil is pretty much non-existant so that is why I am stuck with the limited choices and therefore I am asking for your help here So the choices are pretty much limited The Apple Thunderbolt Display costs about US here and I will not buy it apart from the price also because it will not work with laptops which do not support Thunderbolt The following monitors are available here for a reasonable or at least payable price and not all of them are readily available Philips P QPJKEB US Dell UltraSharp U HM US weeks to be delivered Samsung SyncMaster S A US LG EA R US sold out for now Basically these are the only options I have The Dell is the cheapest one to buy in the credit card but it will take something like a month to arrive or maybe even more The LG model one is sold out for now but it comes and goes all the time so I might end up finding one The Samsung and the Philips models are ready for shipment and will be delivered in about a week or so As I understand the LG and the Dell models use the same IPS panel as the Apple Thunderbolt Display The panel is made by LG and is has a nit brightness The Samsung and the Philips on the other hand both share the same PLS panel made by Samsung and they sport a nit brightness PLS is supposed to be Samsung s answer to IPS I would like to know which of these monitors is better and would be more recommended First which panel is the best Second which monitor is the best and most polished Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/27-inch-2560x1440-monitor-limited-options.201230/
Relevancy 25.8%

I recently built this computer see other a thread on building a PC using Windows on a ssd drive and I used my sata drives for storage audio video The other drives folders using Can't 7 storage create Windows on drives are from my old system and they were set up for RAID I re-formatted the drives but now they automatically create a system info folder and a recycle bin folder I don t know why but Can't create folders on storage drives using Windows 7 I can t create a folder on these drives They are patitioned NTFS Does this have something to do with the RAID configuration from my old system I need to create folders to manage my projects but it will not allow it Also I installed Norton on the system I am using the internet for downloading programs I need once everything is going smooth I will no longer access the web with this PC The Norton has an error on it and when I try to fix it it gets stuck on trying to optimize the storage disk E My SSD is drive C with a partition D for B U the next drive is E Does anyone know what I am doing wrong Thanks to anyone who can speak to this problem nbsp

A:Can't create folders on storage drives using Windows 7

Which RAID Configuration are you in? I think you may have have it set up incorrectly. Depending on what RAID you are using will depend on how your drives can be used. Let us know what RAID you are running which you should be able to find this in your RAID control panel when you boot into it. Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-create-folders-on-storage-drives-using-windows-7.200888/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi been awhile since I last posted. In the house we have a desktop and 2 laptops on the go in the house.The desktop is wired internet while the laptops are run on wifi.This worked fine until my isp UPC upgraded my internet speed from 50mb to 120mb.. The desktop and one of the laptops still works fine but the acus laptop has web access for between 20 mins to 45mins before the wifi drops off and becomes limited access. The wifi needs to be renabled to regain access to the wifi which lasts another small while until it gets limited access again.

The laptop specs are:
Acus K53e
Windows 7 home premium 64bit
intel Centrino N100 wifi adapter
Ram 6gig

At the moment its running for 30 mins then wifi cuts off for a few seconds before starting up again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-gets-limited-access-after-period-of-time.201028/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have a Dell Inspiron 2200 still running XP that has an administrator account, as well as a guest account (where the important docs I need are stored). It has a faulty DC jack, and I plan on having it recycled due to the fact the repair would cost more than the computer is worth. If I remove the hard drive and put it in a USB housing, would I be able to access the info stored under the guest account without any problems?

Relevancy 28.38%

Good day,

I wanted to post my fix for my connectivity problem since another thread here steered me to the right fix but it was quite a bit different from the fix they had posted. That thread has since been closed. The poster suggested removing anti virus programs on a computer that could connect to a network but got Limited Connectivity error. When I tried to manually remove AVG I got an error, used AVG removal tool which removed it fine but didnt fix the issue.

What fixed the issue immediately for me was manually disabling "AVG network filter driver" which I found in each network adapter properties. This filter driver was present even after running the removal tool which I find very strange.

Hope this helps someone

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-connectivity-fixed.199199/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi,
Whenever I try to connect to a wireless router from my laptop, the network icon shows yellow mark, which says limited connectivity. Every time I have to <ipconfig/release and renew>, wherein it starts to work properly.
Its an office environment.
Kindly your views on what's the issue?

Regards,
Kiran

A:Limited connectivity

The yellow mark is telling you the driver for the WiFi needs to be replace/installed

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-connectivity.199070/
Relevancy 21.93%

I issue An logins with user have a former company PC Earlier I was attempting to remove the company An issue with user logins domain from it so that I didn t have to An issue with user logins log in as the previous user every time just to get to the desktop So I changed the computer name right click my computer properties computer name I then clicked on Network ID and set to this computer is for An issue with user logins home use and then it went wrong I restarted the computer as instructed and tried to log on as the user as before but it is telling me the password is incorrect The username is correct and so is the password It s clear that whatever I did with the Network ID has caused this I have logged on as administrator but need to access the other user due to the saved files on there etc Can someone help me revert back access that user account from admin Is there a way to completely detach the PC from the previous domain so that it is like a normal home PC with no log in Thank You nbsp

A:An issue with user logins

Administrator account has permission to access files from other users. Just go to the C:/Users section or whatever.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/an-issue-with-user-logins.198449/
Relevancy 28.38%

I have a personal computer at the boarding school I attend Access Limited an Asus G VW and whenever I try to connect to the main internet connection it says limited access I have also tried using Ethernet and it says unidentified network with the Ethernet Here is my IPCONFIG ALL below I also have Windows if that helps --------------------------------------------------------------------- Microsoft Windows Version c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Herman gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name ASUS Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List cefpub local Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Wi-Fi Direct Virtual Adapter Physical Address E- -DE- E-FC- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description VPN Tunnel Adapter Physical Address -FF- B- - B- E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Ethernet Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Anchorfree HSS VPN Adapter Physical Address -FF- -F - D- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Bluetooth Device Personal Area Network Physical Address DC- -DE- E-FC- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi Connection-specific DNS Suffix cefpub local Description Qualcomm Atheros AR WB-EG Wireless Net work Adapter Physical Address DC- -DE- E-FC- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe cc ba c f fc Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Monday December PM Lease Expires Monday December PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -EE- B-E -DC- -DE- E-FC- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Ethernet Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire Limited Access net Description Qualcomm Atheros AR PCI-E Gigabit Eth ernet Controller NDIS Physical Address - - D-EB-AA- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap cefpub local Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix cefpub local Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address d abd a e ef f dd Prefer red Link-local IPv Address fe a e ef f dd Preferred Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -EE- B-E -DC- -DE- E-FC- NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled C Users Herman gt nbsp

A:Limited Access

Well its probably the school network, do you have to register the machine with the network and enter passcodes etc. That sounds like it maybe the issue.

Also I would take down that stuff you posted with your subnet, IP, etc, its alot of personal information about your PC thats a little too much if you catch my drift.

Back on subject, I would first check if you have to register it or something first, then we can go from there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-access.198300/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi I have the same problem message quot An Operation was attempted on something that is not a socket quot etc appeared Also my Node Type is unknown I tried all steps mentioned above and I never made it to have Node Type hybrid It appears to be unknown even after adding node type and value And about this quot You should see a complete set of TCP values and using IP problems connection Limited with release/renew the command Prompt ping nslookup quot I got something completely different it says for nslookup that default server is not available server unknown cant find server for address etc Any idea how can I try to fix Limited connection with IP release/renew problems problem It all started with Limited connection with IP release/renew problems IP address conflict Once it was solved thanx to this cmd netsh int ip reset resetlog txt netsh winsock Limited connection with IP release/renew problems reset catalog But it does not work any more It shows that local area network is connected and there is still message about IP address conflict Many thanks in advance Moderator note Moved from this thread http www techspot com community topics limited-connection-with-ip-release-renew-problems nbsp

A:Limited connection with IP release/renew problems

It's a little difficult to pin down what your problem is without knowledge of your network and router setup, but IP collisions and connection issues that get fixed temporarily with release and renew are usually related to misconfigured DHCP settings. Such as when two routers are distributing IP addresses to the same range of systems, or when some devices list static IP address, or sometimes if a wireless device is also plugged in with a network cable, claiming the same IP address with both connections.

if you ping those google dns addresses (8.8.8.8, or 8.8.6.6) and you get errors instead of replies it just means your not connecting to the internet.

Like I said though this is generic stuff and no one will be able to be more specific until you describe a bit about your overall network layout, and types of connections.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-connection-with-ip-release-renew-problems.197582/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi, I've been away camping for a couple of weeks and now that I'm back my desktop computer no longer connects to the internet. As I state in the title, however; the signal strength says it's "very good".

I've tried removing the connection and re-adding it, I've tried moving the wireless USB/removing and potential disturbances, but to no avail.

Any help would be much appreciated!

A:Signal strength: Very good, Access: Limited connectivity

Turn off the Modem
Turn off the Router
Turn off the PC
Turn off all network gear

Do this for 30 seconds.

Then slowly turn on the modem (DSL or Cable)
Then the router
Any switches
Then the PC
Then the rest of your network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/signal-strength-very-good-access-limited-connectivity.195843/
Relevancy 21.5%

I have a Windows 7 computer wired into my home network. It has a printer attached to it that I have set to share. I have a windows 7 laptop and an XP laptop. Both 7 machines can see open the shared drives on the XP machine but when I try to access the shared drives of either 7 machine from any of the other machines I am asked to give a User ID and a password. This is a private Home network. I have no passwords set up on any of the machines. I'm trying to set up the printer on the two laptops and I can't access it without the User ID Password window popping up. Does anyone know what the problem is?

A:Home Network asking for user ID and password

This is all normal operation for print/file sharing. If you really want sharing without using passwords (imo a security risk), then you need to google for "anonymous sharing"

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-asking-for-user-id-and-password.194484/
Relevancy 27.95%

Hi, I have been trying to solve my problem for two days. I spent some hours on the phone with my internet provider (Bell) to solve the problem and they finally told me that the problem would be my computer or my config.

The problem is that I can connect to internet with my cellphone and my tab but I cant connect with my computer. It says limited connectivity on my windows8. I tried disabling my firewall and most of the turotials posted on the net but still nothing works.

I would love to be able to solve this problem .ty

Ps: sorry if I am difficult to understand I usually speak french =)

I already tried to reinstall my network drivers (Broadcom) and it still doesnt work. My computer is a Dell AMD phenom X6 operating with windows 8 (64)

...I also tried the ip release and renew

A:Limited connectivity issue at home

Hey Math.Is your router secured?. If so,I would verify that you can connect using an Ethernet cable. If so, I would go into the router's setup and change the broadcast channel the router is using, change it to 10 or 11 and save the changes. Remove the cable, wait a minute, then try to connect.What is the make and model of your router?.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-connectivity-issue-at-home.194246/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi Friends ... I have this laptop that has been given to me by my company and the USB ports have been blocked in manner such that I can copy stuff from my USB drive on to the machine but cannot copy in the reverse direction, ie. from the hard drive to the USB. Obviously it is to safeguard against theft of data. However, I do not deal with any confidential data and like to back up things every few days. Please tell me a shortcut to unlock my USB entirely even though I do not have administrator rights on the machine.

A:How to unlock USB ports without admin password?

Sorry, we will not assist in circumventing such security features, especially when the machine belongs to someone else.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-unlock-usb-ports-without-admin-password.193100/
Relevancy 25.37%

Help please?

I have recently moved to a rented property and have had fibre broadband installed. The hub is next to the modem which had to be placed at the main telecom entry point to the house. This means that the hub and modem are in the sitting room. I want to have my printer upstairs but do not wish to run a cable all the way from the hub to the printer. I do have a couple of old wireless hubs - a Belkin and a 2-Wire. Would it be possible to put one of these upstairs hardwired to the printer and configure one of these to pick up the wireless signal from the new hub? Or am I mad??

A:Using a router to create connection from a wireless network to a wired printer

Hey winkent. I see a need for more info.

Is your "modem" a combo modem/router, and if so, is it a wireless model?
How many pc's are being used and how do they connect, wired or wirelessly?
Is this printer a network printer (has an Ethernet jack)?
Are these hubs or are they switches?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/using-a-router-to-create-connection-from-a-wireless-network-to-a-wired-printer.192877/
Relevancy 27.95%

HI this limited connectivity Wireless connection, is my dilemma My laptop is M Dell bit operating windows Am trying to connect to the internet keep getting a limited connectivity error Ive install new window updates on the th and the th of this month Ever since I installed those specific driver updates I do not recall which updates I installed am not able to connect to the internet via wireless nor Ethernet Ive tried to use System restore points every time I try to restore Wireless connection, limited connectivity prior or before the th I end up getting a error saying the system restore points can t be found etc Ive done some researching to see if I can find a Wireless connection, limited connectivity solution to the problem Wireless connection, limited connectivity but yet nothing Am sure the router is not the problem am able to connect via wireless thru my phone other laptop tablet Am sure the issue revolves around the updates I install I open up cmd I type ipconfig the results that I get Windows Up configuration Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media diconnected Connection-specific Dns Suffix is there any solution to this issue that am encountering Much appreciated for the help -Thanks Rock nbsp

A:Wireless connection, limited connectivity

Based on the data you have provided you have no network cards installed. How was your laptop connected with the ipconfig results (wired or wireless)? Check device manager (devmgmt.msc) for installed network adapters.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-connection-limited-connectivity.189781/
Relevancy 26.66%

Anybody here where can I watch how to create a system ? I want to learn to create a system .. can u help me.. thanks

A:How to create a system?

Probably the best PC building tutorial around. Make sure you watch all 3 parts.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-create-a-system.188978/
Relevancy 25.37%

Win XP defragger is having a hard time defragging external USB 2TB drive because of the back up .iso image files on it. What do you think about the cause of this problem and possible solutions? Diskeeper?

A:Should I create a separate drive partition just for .iso files or do I just need a better defragger?

CORRECTION!

I just realized the actual file type causing this issue is .mrimg , a back up image file created by Macrium Reflect. Some of the big .iso files I have seem to stress the defragger, but at least they're not completely crashing XP and the drive. I end up having to unplug the drive to get XP responding again, even to reboot. I'm pretty convinced it's the .mrinmg file. Not sure if I should create a separate partition just for them, or get a better defragger.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/should-i-create-a-separate-drive-partition-just-for-iso-files-or-do-i-just-need-a-better-defragger.185691/
Relevancy 27.95%

Trying to connect to a hotspot and get the error message above Current IP Config indicates the following Microsoft Windows XP Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and limited has no connectivity Dell My or system Settings Administrator gt ipconfig release Windows IP Configuration No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection while it has its media di sconnected Ethernet adapter E B- AEF- F- F-E CDE A FDC Connection-specific DNS Suffix IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Windows IP Configuration Host Name TUUSNYCLAP Primary Dns Suffix tcco org Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter E B- AEF- F- F-E CDE A FDC Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Nortel IPSECSHM Adapter Physical Address - - - - - Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Broadcom NetXtreme xx Gigabit Cont roller Physical Address - -B - -C - Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Dell Wireless Dual Band WLAN Mi ni-Card Physical Address - - E-CC- A- B Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Any Ideas on the My Dell system has limited or no connectivity issue nbsp

A:My Dell system has limited or no connectivity

Should be simple... The hotspot should give you the SSID and passphrase. It may be the type of encryption that is not compatible with the computers setup. Also make sure that your cell phone company has enabled the hotspot feature

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dell-system-has-limited-or-no-connectivity.184925/
Relevancy 21.5%

I?ve never had to set the BIOS password, but the kids are growing up and I need to lock access to my PC.

My Bios has two Password Options: Supervisor and User.

The Supervisor password was accepted, and before I attempt to change the BIOS settings, the Supervisor password is asked for.

Then I set the user password.

However, when I boot up the PC, I am not asked for any password and windows loads as usual.

What am I missing?

The BIOS is Award Software International, Inc. F4 HI 07/03/2007

A:Unable to set BIOS user password

Do you have the option mentioned below?

Setting a BIOS Password

Now you'll want to set your system to ask for that password every time it boots, so select the BIOS FEATURES SETUP option, to see a menu something like this:

Fairly obviously, it's the Password Check option we're interested in, so select it and change the setting to ALWAYS.

etc....Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-set-bios-user-password.183774/
Relevancy 28.38%

hi all got router in other room then another pc in another room on wireless I got no internet but it says full strength fully working and connected but keeps coming up limited or no connectivity and cant get on internet . put in wep key etc and says connected but nothing what could be the problem please help

A:Limited or no connectivity on wireless

Can you please post your IP config file so we can see what settings you have.

And have you tried using a USB wireless key, or do you just use an internal wireless adapter?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-or-no-connectivity-on-wireless.180803/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hey guys every time i restart my laptop it wipes all the user profiles, leaves one and wipes all the custom settings on that profile. I have no idea and any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks again

A:User profiles deleted on start up

This might be caused by a virus or other malware infection, a corrupt hard drive or Windows itself is corrupt... Can you do a destructive laptop restore? This is a way that the laptop is put back just like it was when you turned it on when you first bought it

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-profiles-deleted-on-start-up.175534/
Relevancy 27.95%

I wasn't able to connect through my wireless router to the internet on any of my wireless devices until I plugged in my wireless usb stick. I plugged it into one laptop, and now I can use both. Why would this happen? My mother has the same connectivity issue, and do you think I should try the same thing? It seems as though that every wireless connection that I come across has this problem lately. Every single one. I am confused, is it just me?

Renewing your IP address. For assistance, contact the person who manages your network. I used to get that error every time I tried to repair connection.

A:I have solved my limited connectivity and need some answers

I think the lack of responses here may be the result of everyone else being confused as well.

Try explaining that a little better, its not exactly clear what your problem is.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-have-solved-my-limited-connectivity-and-need-some-answers.174540/
Relevancy 21.93%

In our network we have many remote sites. We are currently all WinXP Pro but are starting to transition to Windows 7 (64-bit) when we cycle PCs out.

We have been using RealVNC for years instead of RDP because RealVNC allows shared control of the PC between you and the local user (ie: "Show me what you are talking about"). I've tried Tight (which leaves lots remnants after uninstalling), Real (simply does not work unless you buy the Enterprise version, for ~800 computers that just isn't going to work) and Ultra (works, but randomly resets its options and closes down once you log out of a profile).

Is there a way to allow shared control during RDP? If not, is there another VNC-ish program I can try (freeware) that's as reliable as RealVNC has been under XP?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/allow-local-user-control-in-rdp.171996/
Relevancy 22.36%

Hello everybody, I have a home network with about 3 computer connected. I am using a laptop and when ever I use the net view command in cmd, I can only view my laptop. Why can't I see the other 2 computer?

All the computer have Win. 7 Home Premium Installed. Is there a way to send messages to those computers within the network, without the use of 3rd party applications... Perhaps by cmd?

I know you can, but I am unsure how.

A:Net view/net user

examples

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>net view $SYSTEM_NAME
Shared resources at $SYSTEM_NAME
[B]lt-beard[/B]

Share name Type Used as Comment
--------------------------------------------------------
Italy-1 Disk
Italy-2 Disk
RealEstate Disk
SharedDocs Disk
The command completed successfully.

C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>net view emac
Shared resources at emac

Mac OS X

Share name Type Used as Comment
--------------------------------------------------------
homes Disk User Home Directories
i860 Print Canon i860
jeff Disk User Home Directories
MP470 series Print Canon MP470 series
It should be clear that NET VIEW SYSTEM is dependent upon getting Print/File Sharing working correctly.

Code:
C:\Documents and Settings\Jeff>[B]net user jeff[/B]
User name Jeff
Full Name Jeff
Comment primary user(LUA)
User's comment
Country code 000 (System Default)
Account active Yes
Account expires Never

blah blah ...

Workstations allowed All
Logon script
User profile
Home directory
Last logon 9/2/2011 10:55 AM

Logon hours allowed All

Local Group Memberships *Users
Global Group memberships *None

Would appear to be Policy settings for the user

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/net-view-net-user.170621/
Relevancy 27.95%

This is my first post so please forgive me if I don't give all the right information.

I'm trying to connect a desktop computer running xp to the internet and I'm getting limited to no connectivity though I am connected with a Ethernet cable.

I was able to connect to the internet in safe mode but that was it.

I'm not really sure what other information you need.

A:Limited to no connectivity when connected with Ethenet

"I was able to connect to the Internet in safe mode but that was it"...
You have a program loaded that is interfering with your Internet connectivity. What antivirus/firewall are you using?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-to-no-connectivity-when-connected-with-ethenet.169915/
Relevancy 21.07%

Okay here is the story My laptop has a ton of valuable information on it recently my Norton protection ran out and was unable to renew it Well somebody hacked my system and now I have a ton of viruses trojans and malware So I was still able to use my Copy to drive external profile user entire hard PC for internet usage and my music still played in Windows Media Player So all in all my laptop still worked Now today I go to turn on my laptop and it will not boot up at all I can t even system restore or repair it with windows repair However I do need to back up my files and since my hard drive is what is wrong in the first place I think it might be better instead of copying the entire hard drive to my terabyte external hard drive if it would make more sense just to copy my entire user profile onto my external I am wondering if this is possible i have heard of LiveCD s and Parted Magic from this forum But I am wondering if I can just back up all of my files that way If I can back up all of my files like that I might save money instead of taking to a repairman and just fix it myself So is it possible to copy and back-up the entire user profile of a laptop that will not boot up to an external hard drive Basically I want to copy the entire contents of my User Profile on Vista onto an external drive so I can use my reboot CD to reboot my laptop without losing any of my files and folders or Copy entire user profile to external hard drive anything for that Copy entire user profile to external hard drive matter I figure the best way to do that would be to copy the user profile so all the contents of that profile would go onto my external Then I reboot my computer and put Copy entire user profile to external hard drive the User Profile back on Simple nbsp

A:Copy entire user profile to external hard drive

Have you tried a repair install? If that is possible that will leave your files intact.. It is a good idea to back on a regular basis anyway.

The other possibility is connecting your hard drive as a slave drive on another pc.

If the repair install is not possible there are a number of ways using boot cd's to access your data.

Here is one solution that is free and should do what you want
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/rk-express/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/copy-entire-user-profile-to-external-hard-drive.169549/
Relevancy 25.8%

[resolved] Toshiba laptops plays DVDs but can't create them

Bizarre; I can r/w CDs and play DVDs but can not create a DVD.

Toshiba Laptop with Win/XP Pro and a combo DVD/CD HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4243N No upper or lower filters are on the device registry entry

XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip was applied anyway.
aspi_471a2 was installed and provided
aspi32.sys & winaspi.dll

NTSC Pan & Scan.zip was loaded to provided sample *.VOB files for testing

Instacodecs.exe was loaded to get a flock of CODECs (just in case)​
Tools and symptoms: Photo DVD Maker always complains: Device Not Found
Express Burn: wants to ONLY create *.iso & will not access the DVD
ImgBurn: Finds the Device
insert media
add a video (aka *.mp4)
Calc size = 1.24 mb, free= 684mb
and the lower window status reads
Device Not Ready (No Reference Position Found)​

A:Toshiba laptops plays DVDs but can't create them

Just for laughs you should beg or borrow a USB DVD burner and see what happens with that.

I think there are separate read / burn lasers for DVD, but I'm not certain.

In any event, swapping out the drive would vector your search for the problem.

By the way, (IMHO & experience), Toshiba drives suck, and do crazy s*** like this. At least the two I've had certainly did. (2 TSST 162's in Emachines desktop. 1st desktop went back, bad drive, 2nd drive replaced by a Pioneer DVR 111).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-laptops-plays-dvds-but-cant-create-them.165481/
Relevancy 27.95%

So, not too long ago I upgraded my internet connection to the 40mbps. but my computer is not achieving this speed. the best ive seen was 25mbps, wired directly to modem with ethernet cable. But i do know that the the speed is there with the service, because the cable guy ran a test with his laptop and he got 38mbps wired and wireless. So something with my computer seems to be limiting my speed. just dont know what. I have disable all programs that would slow my connection down.. so that is not the issue here. anybody have any ideas as to how to fix this problem?
The cable tech mentioned something about me running win 7 ultimate on my computer and that my computer wasnt designed for win 7, but for win vista. he said that could be part of the problem. is there any truth to that?

A:40Mbps Internet limited to around 20Mbps

I just wanted to send out an update on this problem.. this problem is solved.. it was Avast web shield that was slowing down my internet connection.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/40mbps-internet-limited-to-around-20mbps.165393/
Relevancy 21.93%

Hello,

I have a lynksis wrt400n wireless router. I noticed today that there is a user named 'scotty-PC' in my network.

I do have it password protected.

I'm thinking the easiest way would be to shut off the wireless if that is possible. My wife and I are both hardwired into the router anyways.

How do I go about shutting off the wireless signal from the router?

Thank you in advance!

A:Need help with unknown user in my network

use your browser to reconfig the router - - use the IP address 193.168.1.1 as a URL
login: leave user name empty, password is admin
(obviously this needs to be changed too - - read on)

the Users Guide is here

Option one would be to DISABLE the radio - - read thru to find that

Option two would be to use WiFi Mac Filtering; -- pg 14
This option will allows ONLY defined systems access, so set a dummy, like the MAC
address of your wired NIC

Before you quit, DISABLE remote management on port 8080
and CHANGE that admin password

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-unknown-user-in-my-network.164009/
Relevancy 28.38%

i will be online and i randomly get limited connectivity for like 20 seconds then it goes back to normal this happens all day long 40 mins pass by and it happens an hour passes by again it happens.

im using a linksys router wireless. when i had it connected ethernet it did the same thing and i have tried different IPS my laptop does not do this

i am using windows 7 as well as my laptop

i believe the correct term is packet loss. it only happens in game

A:Randomly get limited connectivity

hello? some help please

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/randomly-get-limited-connectivity.162286/
Relevancy 27.52%

I ll do my best to describe the problem I m sure I ll miss some important information Last week my computer running winxp bit service pack lost the connection to the internet All it says on the connection status is limited or IP connection with release/renew Limited problems no connectivity I thought my wireless adapter died so i bought a new one I was on the phone with them for an hour We came to the conclusion the adapter is working properly The last thing they Limited connection with IP release/renew problems had me try was an ipconfig release The message that came up was quot No operation can be performed on local area connection while it has it s media disconnected quot Then i did ipconfig renew Same message but also quot An error occurred while renewing interface wireless network connection an address incompatible with the requested protocol was used And I tried renew again Same message to start and also An Operation was attempted on something that is not a socket I should Limited connection with IP release/renew problems also add that I was looking around the internet and found something that sounded like my problem and did some registry changes deletions It did fix one of the problems but not the connection one One more thing I tried that I found on a post somewhere Since the ip address wasn t renewing someone said to put it in manually The address was and the subnet was This did work to say I was connected but still couldn t access the internet I changed it back to find ip address automatically My question is this Is there a patch or something out there that I can put on a flash drive and install to fix the problem Thank you Kyle nbsp

A:Limited connection with IP release/renew problems

Limited connection with IPClick to expand...

This typically occurs when you see your ip address as 169.x.x.x use run->ipconfig to see the ip-address of the failing system​If you see the 169.x.x.x, then your system is unable to contact the router with the DHCP broadcast request.

Use run->ipconfig /all and verify that you haveNode Type . . : Hybrid​Follow-up with your findings . . .

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-connection-with-ip-release-renew-problems.162242/
Relevancy 27.52%

Can anyone tell me what this means I am thinking of buying a new pc and am not confident enough to build it myself. Have been looking in the usual places that people who build there own rigs probably disapprove of, when am looking at a certain pc from dell it says this

The memory speed of 4 DIMMS configuration will be limited at 1066MHz with Athlon II X4 630 and Phenom II X4 820 processors. ...

If the memory works at 1300 Mhz and the Processor only supports 1066 Mhz what does that mean ?

A:AMD processors limited to 1066MHz memory speed?

AMD CPU's have the memory controller built into them. Faster memory will just have the speed of it set to what the memory controller can support.

So if the memory works at 1300Mhz, but the controller only supports 1066Mhz, then the 1300Mhz memory will just slow down to 1066Mhz.

But Dell only says that the speed of the memory will be limited on those CPU's only if all 4 ram slots are filled with memory. Unless you will be upgrading the memory in the system when you get it, you dont need to worry about it.

Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-processors-limited-to-1066mhz-memory-speed.161784/
Relevancy 27.52%

I m sorry - I know this has been asked more than a few times or connectivity/cannot IP on Limited wired renew network no but couldn t find a thread on this particular problem with regards to a wired network Basically at my work there s a public IT room and the internet is fine but every now and again on or computers it isn t At the moment for the last few days computer says limited or no connectivity and if I press repair it says IP address cannot be renewed I took the ethernet cable out and reconnected it I ve rebooted a few times and I also started Limited or no connectivity/cannot renew IP on wired network a cmd prompt and did ipconfig -flushdns as I read somewhere this might sort it Don t really know what to do On the other computer that had this problem I pressed diagnose problem or whatever in explorer and did the reboot and reconnect cable thing and it seemed to fix it I d really appreciate any help you can give me edit I d just like to add that I ve also attempted the winsock fix thayou download and run and it tells you to reboot but to no avail nbsp

A:Limited or no connectivity/cannot renew IP on wired network

Does this computer work fine if plugged in somewhere else? Does another machine (one that you know connects) work if plugged in where this one is?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-or-no-connectivity-cannot-renew-ip-on-wired-network.160622/
Relevancy 21.5%

I ll try to shorten this some I was having some problems that I determined were either caused by the hard drive corrupted WinXP Media Version or my RAM I ran MEM Test user paste Can't switch copy can't and and it failed so I replaced the RAM with one G Can't switch user can't copy and paste stick That solved several issues I still had an issue with switching users I had the computer set up for users with myself as the admin My partition is that what it s called works just fine but if I log into one of the other three it will not allow shutdown restart log off or change user It forces me to do a hard shutdown I decided that my OS may be corrupted so I took the opportunity to install a bigger faster HD and installed WinXP Pro The problem did not go away This doesn t make sense to me What else could cause this I also have a new problem Sometimes the copy and paste feature will just quit working It seems to copy but then the Paste will not quot light up quot when I right click in the program I want to use Could this be driver related nbsp

A:Can't switch user can't copy and paste

It's possible that the group policy is keeping the regular users from doing things like log off, or shutdown. You may want to check what the settings are or put all those users into a single group and give them the proper permissions to do whatever you want.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-switch-user-cant-copy-and-paste.159642/
Relevancy 27.52%

okay I hope im posting this in the right place sorry if I didn't. okay I have an hp presario desktop 2004 and i a unable to use the internet because my ipadress has disappeared i have tried turning off everything restarting new cables and everything ipconfig/release renew restore and nothing it won't show up and when i tried the releas it says that it has been released but theres nothing there with the renew it says unable to connect to the RPC driver. I have a cable connection so it's just a modem no router and i just use and ethernet cable to connect to the internet they are all working fine called cable company and they were unable to help either sais it must have something to do with the compter. so if there is anyone who can help please do i am desperate here....

A:Limited no connectivity unable to renew IP address

You have a computer that appears to be sic years old... after six years, several components are often damaged... especially the hard drive.
Do you have the software to format and install a new hard drive?
What is your configuration...
And HP Presario should be a Compaq Presario... I would borrow a computer to download all the drivers, or get somebody to download them for you. If you don't have install disks, you can buy them from HP via a phone call... if they have any left.
When is the last time your computer worked properly and what happened to apparently make it stop working properly.
Do you have a friend who is tech smart to help you take a look at the computer and its components?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-no-connectivity-unable-to-renew-ip-address.156056/
Relevancy 28.38%

Ok here is my problem and i will try to be as descriptive as possible Please bare Limited/no connectivity with me because it was very late last night when I was trying to fix this For starters I have a linksys e router which is working fine I think Since the router is dual band I split the ghz and the ghz frequencies since i have many g devices that I didnt want to slow down my more important n devices I have the ghz band for all a b g devices and the ghz only for n devices My laptop has Win bit and is on the n Limited/no connectivity network which is running outstandly however my wife s laptop Toshiba w WinVista can t remember if its or bit will connect to the a b g network but won t access the internet I Limited/no connectivity checked to make sure that it wasn t the a b g network but I have several other devices connected to it but none of them are PCs ipod Wii nintendo DSlite and DSi to name a few Vista is saying limited connectivity but I can t get anything over the network I did a loop back ping and the NIC is working right i tried ipconfig release and renew and they keep failing with an error that says something about not being able to get to the DHCP server I tried a netsh refresh but that also keeps failing I don t understand because just a few weeks ago we turned her laptop on and it connected to the network and internet with no issues I have not changed any router or config settings on her computer since then Anybody have any ideas or suggestions Please help and thanks nbsp

A:Limited/no connectivity

First, go back to basics on your router. Remove the old install on the computer and reinstall. Be sure it is working as it did before.
Then follow the instructions provided in the router documentation exactly. Do not overlook the parts you do not understand.
You have likely misunerstood or overlooked one step. We have all done it.
I would be most interested in, "...the router is dual band I split the 2.4ghz and the 5.0ghz frequencies since i have many 802.11g devices that I didnt want to slow down my more important 802.11n devices..."

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-no-connectivity.155885/
Relevancy 28.38%

I tried to uncheck the "Notify me when this ... connectivity " button and restart my machine , but it didnt work.

I tired with rinstalling the LAN ddriver but in vain as well.

Ones I run a network diagnosis , it shows that both the Network Adapters and the Internet Explorer Web Proxy 127.0.0.1 are FAILED in RED.

Could please help me solve this problem.

A:Connection limited or no connectivity

Which OS? You could have a BAD NIC? They do fail. If on board NIC that would need to be disabled and replaced with either Card or USB to LAN.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connection-limited-or-no-connectivity.155863/
Relevancy 25.37%

Could somebody help me with a quick batch program to remove, network addresses, gateway, broadcast, etc.? Also include cookies, browser history and that sort of thing but really I want the network code if you could help out with that.

I know I could just use ccleaner but this is something that will be constantly worked on until all the functions I want will be in this one batch file instead of possibly running a couple programs.

Used these two but need to know from the experts!!

ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns

Also when the the wireless card is pulled from the pcmcia slot, like to know what wipes any trace of the hard coded ip, mac ip.

A:Create a batch file to remove network activity

any help putting this code together for me. windows 7

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/create-a-batch-file-to-remove-network-activity.154433/
Relevancy 27.95%

Okay so recently i have been able to connect to my router Via Wireless But then a couple days ago my internet crashed and when i clicked "Repair" It Gets stuck at "Renewing IP Address" I have tried ipconfig/refresh,renew and etc None of it work and my internet is still limited or No Connectivity.But when i use an Ethernal Cable it works. Please Help I'm really frustrated, Any Advice or Suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
PS I have another laptop in my house and it connects to the internet fine. Thanks Again

A:Limited or no connectivity/can't acquire an IP address

verify that the NIC is set to use DHCP for both IP & DNS addresses; remove any static values found

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-or-no-connectivity-cant-acquire-an-ip-address.154138/
Relevancy 28.38%

hi all,

I am having a problem with my wifi. i am currently using a 1000HE netbook. my pc crashed a few days ago and need to reformat my hdd and reinstall everything

everything was working like a charm in the past though

basically i am using a modem cum router to connect to the internet

if i uses the LAN line, i can connect to the internet without problem

but when i try to connect using wireless, it gave me the "limited or no connectivity issue"

again, i used the same netbook and same modem cum router in the past without problem.

not sure what's wrong this time

pls help

A:Limited or no connectivity issue

Did you install all the drivers for your netbook after you "reformatted"?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-or-no-connectivity-issue.153858/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hello friends
i have 10 pc,s all the pc,s have desktop application.now i want to Connect all the pc,s through LAN.
i want 1 computer in which server is created.is this possible that when user is doing work on other 9 computers all the data is store in server conputer.
Can anyone help
I am new in this field.

A:Create a network

16-port network switch
4-port wireless router

Do you have the above?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/create-a-network.153032/
Relevancy 25.8%

I have a Linksys WR54GS router as my main router attached to the internet. I run a Bed & Breakfast and I give my guests free access to the internet via WiFi. My problem is, I also use that network for my business and personal computers and I am afraid that a tech savvy guest could hack into my files. I thought that if I connect a second WiFi router, I could set up a second network which my guests could use to access the web thru my main router.

Does anyone have a clue if this is possible?

A:I want to connect 2 Wi-Fi routers to create 2 separate networks

It mostly depends on the company that is your internet provider... With their sayso, you can do it easily... just be sure the channels are widely different, and that you can control them through your client setups so the customer understands what and where.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-want-to-connect-2-wi-fi-routers-to-create-2-separate-networks.152424/
Relevancy 21.5%

Explanation:

Ok so I work in a small office and I have a networked printer that takes user numbers for passwords to print. This way we can keep track of print jobs and charge the employees accordingly. This user # is setup thru printer preferences. Normally only one user # is required for each computer as each employee has their own computer. Well there are two open computers at my office that anyone can use, these two have their own user #'s.

Question:

What i'd like to do is set it up so these open computers prompt for a user number before being able to print instead of having a user # saved under the preferences. Is this possible?

Relevant information:

Computers - Windows Xp Pro sp3
Server - Windows server 2003
Printer - Sharp Mx-6200N

Thank for any help regarding this situation.

A:Prompting for user # on a network printer

hmm; this is a commercial Charge Back process. Home users would hardly ever need or want
something like this.
I would think you would find such options in the software you are using to capture the user#,
likely on your Domain Controller ...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/prompting-for-user-on-a-network-printer.150482/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi

By visiting the Event viewer for my BSOD I noticed that two warnings are appearing in the list whose source is Kernel processor power and it is shown in the list every time that if i have booted my PC.
Had i not visited event viewer for BSOD purpose I would not have known these warnings!.

Warning 1:
The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

Warning 2:
The speed of processor 1 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 71 seconds since the last report.

What is this? Does this show any prob with my processor or is it a normal thing to appear.

Hasnain.

A:Speed of processor limited

What type of CPU and which motherboard do you have? It's possible that the CPU is being slowed/throttled due to excessive heat.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/speed-of-processor-limited.150234/
Relevancy 26.23%

I have an hp mini 1000 netbook with the admin passwords in the bios and win xp. It was my cousins who is no longer with us, so my aunt gave it to me. Noone knows the passwords. How can I bypass them or override them? I can get in as a guest but it is too limited. What are my best options?

A:HP Mini admin password unknown

You need to talk to HP, after changing the registered ownership, and may need a document about the fate of the previous owner. You may have to send it to a certified HP service center with a formal notice of change of ownership included.
As for TechSpot, there is a policy to not provide assistance with passwords.
What you want to do is usually very difficult in the best of circumstances.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-mini-admin-password-unknown.148971/
Relevancy 25.8%

I know this has been all over the boards, but I cannot find a solution, I know there has to be one.

I have installed Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 for my son on my gaming machine (quad core 3.0 w/ 4gb Ram. I am running DX11 with an ATI 4850 (Windows 7). I have installed all the latest drivers (so that is not the problem) I have tried to force dx9 at startup (didn?t work), I have tried editing the option.txt (didn?t seem to work). I am not the most tech savvy guy, but this problem should not be happening. I way exceed all the hardware requirements for this software. This problem has been reported on this software before; by others?they seem to be having trouble with an old video card or bad drivers. Atari doesn?t seem to be monitoring their help forum?..Any ideas?

A:Failed to create direct3d divice

This game was designed for older operating systems before Windows 7 was released. Install the game patch and change the compatibility mode to Windows XP and see if it helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/failed-to-create-direct3d-divice.148173/
Relevancy 28.38%

I have a linksys wireless g router, it has worked for over a year, but recently, it will stop working. It shows that it is connected but that there is limited or no connectivity. Then it says that the network failed to assign an IP address.

Unplugging the router and replugging it makes it work fine, but I would like to not have to do this every time.

I had another router last year that did this ever since I had bought it, and that's why I finally just got this one. At Best Buy, they said that the cheaper routers tended to do that. Any idea why this one used to work, and now doesn't? And is there any way to fix it?

Thanks for your help, and I apologize if this has been asked numerous times before.

A:Limited or no connectivity

you can try editing the connection settings manually (i.e. IP address, DNS servers) or vice versa. this is a common problem, but sometimes you may need to edit router settings too. open your web browser and type "192.168.1.1" in the address bar. when it asks for a password use "admin" and you should have access to the router. make sure DHCP is enabled and that the broadcast is set to the correct frequency. save changes and reconnect.

lol @ the Best Buy "techs" claiming it's a cheap router...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-or-no-connectivity.145003/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi I hope I m not reposting but as of yet I can t find any solution to either of my problems Firstly I recently got faster internet installed and replaced my router with and 20Mbps Internet 50Mbps icon trouble to limited persistent one that could utilise the faster 50Mbps Internet limited to 20Mbps and persistent icon trouble bandwidth The router is supposed to be capable of enabling up to Mbps whilst my wireless card 50Mbps Internet limited to 20Mbps and persistent icon trouble is supposed to receive up to Mbps The speed of my internet provided is Mbps which is the speed that I get when I connect to the router via ethernet but when I am in the same room with my laptop I only get Mbps tested using speedtest net Help pleaseee Also after tinkering a little my wireless icon in the bottom right corner has permanently become the logo that is attached i e the icon that pops up in windows when the ethernet connection is disabled not working Everything seems to work fine though so it s not a major issue but it s just really 50Mbps Internet limited to 20Mbps and persistent icon trouble annoying I keep thinking something is wrong and every time my internet cuts out I never know Anyway thanks in advance nbsp

A:50Mbps Internet limited to 20Mbps and persistent icon trouble

it could be a problem with your wireless card....u mention, does it work well via ethernet? if yes then u cant blame anything but your wireless card OR the wireless radio of the router itself....u can try tweaking the setting of the wireless radio in the router's config

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/50mbps-internet-limited-to-20mbps-and-persistent-icon-trouble.144228/
Relevancy 28.38%

So, here's the deal. I recently got that error. It says that I have Limited or no connectivity. I can't figure out what's wrong. I get an IP like 169.xxx.xxx.xxx. WTF! I tried almost everything I found on Google, but no results.
I tried :

Repair connection
Disable/Re-enable connection
Delete/Re-install adapter (NIC)
WinSockXPFix
Manually assign IP address
Re-setting BIOS
Changing modem and cable
Using many IPConfig commands (Release/Renew/etc)
Editing registry (EnableDHCP/etc)
Editing MAC address
Even resetting/reconfiguring modem
And EVEN reformatting PC
But nothing. I am totally confused.
Oh! And I tried my network card on my old PC, somehow, it works. For now, I'm using USB modem, it's quite slow, that's why I want Ethernet back. I know that the problem isn't the modem. My laptop (Win7) works both Wired and Wireless with both modems. I would appreciate your help.

A:XP Limited/No connectivity problem

Here's some more detailed info

Code:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : *****-*

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : gateway.2wire.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : **-**-**-**-**-**

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.***.**

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::20d:87ff:fe50:8bd2%7

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%4

fec0:0:0:ffff::2%4

fec0:0:0:ffff::3%4

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 80-00-FB-EC-B3-BE-6A-C7

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e74:8000:fbec:b3be:6ac7

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::ffff:ffff:fffd%4

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : A9-FE-81-1F

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:169.254.129.31%2

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%4

fec0:0:0:ffff::2%4

fec0:0:0:ffff::3%4

Tunnel adapter Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : gateway.2wire.net

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Automatic Tunneling Pseudo-Interface

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : C0-A8-01-40

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.64%2

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : fec0:0:0:ffff::1%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::2%1

fec0:0:0:ffff::3%1

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-limited-no-connectivity-problem.144116/
Relevancy 21.5%

What software to use, user friendly. Take *.avi movie covert and burn it so it will play on a dvd with a splash screen (menu) title to play movie and title(2) to include a small video clip of myself including a a message.

Was trying to use DeVeDe but I am having trouble with title 2 being authoritative with my video and both titles go straight to the movie. DeveDe is for Ubuntu but let me know of software for ubuntu or windows xp

A:User friendly video to dvd with menu

Rather use a windows xp app anyways and I am sure, much more. ubuntu machine not as powerful for decoding videos, or this devede program, audio came out of sync and still had the title allocation issue. I really want to get my video message in the dvd menu.

thanks !

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-friendly-video-to-dvd-with-menu.143608/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi I have a Sony Vaio laptop with wireless internet and have windows Vista The other day I was on a website and it appeared to start to download something I thought might be a virus so I panicked and turned off my laptop When I turned it on afterwards an error message always comes up saying jjeueswb exe has stopped working and has had to be closed or something like that A byproduct of this is that I cannot get on the internet The wireless connection is strong but there is a little exclamation mark next to the internet connection where there is normally a little blue circle When Limited Connectivity I go into the network Limited Connectivity it says I have limited connectivity and I am connected Limited Connectivity with limited access I get the feeling that something has gone wrong with my security settings when I turned off the computer in a panic but I really don t know what to do now I have tried going into internet explorer without add-on s and it still does not work Do you have any idea what I can do to sort out this problem Much appreciated Rob nbsp

A:Limited Connectivity

Didn't Work

Thanks for that Matthew but it didn't change anything. Anyone got any other ideas? Have tried to do a system restore but my computer wont let me do it, even in safe mode. Dont know what is going on.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-connectivity.143455/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi all,

Well the message was not clear, but here is the problem I am having.

I own a Acer Aspire 5920G and I accidentally spilled water onto it, was not a lot and thankfully my laptop lived. However, there is only one slight problem. My Keyboard is malfunctioning, as it is typing random stuff and doing random things. Not like a backdoor. It goes like "eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwxxxxxffffggggghhhhh" it somtimes backspaces and does random inputs. I don't know what's going on and I hope someone here can help me solve this problem.

*Note I think it's a problem within the computer because the keys are not sticky and I can still type but not with all the kets.*

A:Help! Keyboard Inputting into Laptop without User!

Hi

laptop keyboards are delicate at the best of times, any liquid spilt into it will dry and cause this issue,

you can use an external keyboard and see if it does this, you will have to remove the keyboard from the laptop, this is usually done by removing some screws and then undoing the ribbon connector from the board, or by unclipping the keyboard from the housing and disconnecting the ribbon cable.

keyboard go for about 15 on ebay dependant on who is selling it, dont try and repair it you will be wasting your time.

regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-keyboard-inputting-into-laptop-without-user.142568/
Relevancy 21.5%

Hi all,

Well the message was not clear, but here is the problem I am having.

I own a Acer Aspire 5920G and I accidentally spilled water onto it, was not a lot and thankfully my laptop lived. However, there is only one slight problem. My Keyboard is malfunctioning, as it is typing random stuff and doing random things. Not like a backdoor. It goes like "eeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwxxxxxffffggggghhhhh" it somtimes backspaces and does random inputs. I don't know what's going on and I hope someone here can help me solve this problem.

*Note I think it's a problem within the computer because the keys are not sticky and I can still type but not with all the kets.*

A:Help! Keyboard Inputting into Laptop without User!

Probably your notebook's keyboard shorted out when you spilled water on it.

I would advise you to leave your notebook alone for few days to dry out completely and see if the shorting sorts itself out. Otherwise, you may end up having to replace the keyboard; for which you'll be better off consulting an technician.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-keyboard-inputting-into-laptop-without-user.142569/
Relevancy 26.66%

Hello,

About a week ago at my parents house, my wireless internet stopped working. The status says "limited or no connectivity" and when I attempt to repair the network it tells me "unable to renew ip address."

At first I thought maybe there was a problem with the home router, but the internet on the other computers in the house were working fine. Then I came back to my house and its the same thing: the internet on all of my roommate's computers is working fine, but mine is still having thte same problem.

Can anyone help?

A:Wireless network connection status: limited or no connectivity/Unable to renew IP add

your LAN card must be death

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-network-connection-status-limited-or-no-connectivity-unable-to-renew-ip-add.140740/
Relevancy 23.22%

I have a Dell Latitude D630. It has an admin password for the bios. Nothing is locked except for the settings. I can't change any of the settings in the bios. It lets me boot to windows just fine though. My question is, since I don't know that admin password for the bios, if I upgrade the bios firmware, will the admin password be deleted? Since I'm flashing the bios, I would think that all the settings will be lost. Is that the case?

A:Will upgrading the bios firmware on a Latitude D630 delete the bios admin password?

What?

Didn't you reply here, and say it worked (after the unusual 9th try ) http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic109612-109.html#post747024

Awfully strange!

A bios update can't remove passwords. As You Must Know

Oh and thanks for the extended long Title. I'm thinking this Topic of yours would be best removed? What do you think?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-upgrading-the-bios-firmware-on-a-latitude-d630-delete-the-bios-admin-password.138281/
Relevancy 27.52%

I m not an expert on computer tech really so I m stuck in a bit of a dialema I read through the thread started by vnf ultra about gaming with PCI not PCI-e and it gave me a little bit more insight into the issue that an upgrade will help instead of abuse about having conventional PCI but I still have a few questions that need answers Well basically I m an under-privileged gamer stuck to a very low budget and stuck with a Dell Dimension I recently upgraded it to GB s of ram and acquired a GB external harddrive just to clear up the internal harddrive But my main issue is I badly need to upgrade my graphics card I m still using the In-built chipset The Intel quot extreme quot and its horrible But possibilities graphics limited on upgrade Advice card I ve only come across the funds to upgrade lately Its been a tight year and I just don t have the funds to upgraded to a better system or to build from a naked motherboard I have my eye on cards and I ve only got a limited selection due to the obsolite PCI slots that I have But my concern is what effect would a -bit in comparison to a -bit card have And compatibility factor between a MB card and MB card The AXLE nVidia Geforce FX MB is no at the moment no would be the Geforce but any of them I ve seen Advice on limited graphics card upgrade possibilities are a different sort of PCI Are they compatible Amazon is only for reference any better deals please link My computer is at the moment just barely able to cut my audio work as far as recording with low latency goes anyway but its okay I don t need anything more from what I m getting from it now but its my final upgrade is the video graphics for gaming I love gaming and really would like to play games smoothly not the frame a second effect I have now I just need a little advice really I don t wanna end up spending money for nothing nbsp

A:Advice on limited graphics card upgrade possibilities

Your first limitation is the power supply, which on most Dell Dimension 2400's is about 240 watts.... certainly no more than 300 watts... then your video graphics card must be a PCI card... and there are not many cards that will work very well in that system.
So you need a PCI video graphics card, and a power supply that can handle it.. I would get the 256 GB video graphics card... The 2400 cannot handle anything larger... but a 128 GB card would be more likely to work with your power supply, whereas the 256 might overload the system.
If it were my system, I would start a savings program, and get a better computer for gaming... rather than trying to make the 2400 work.
The Dell Dimension 2400 is a good computer with few failures... But, it is a basic budget low end computer, and it is already at least three or four years old... some components may be close to an upgrade anyway.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/advice-on-limited-graphics-card-upgrade-possibilities.137453/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello,

I am trying to create a drive somewhere on the web, that I can access it anywhere in the world using my laptop. Just like any additional computer hard drive, but on a web.

Thanks

A:How to create a webdrive that I can access from anywhere

Wow. Tell us more about how you envision this working.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-create-a-webdrive-that-i-can-access-from-anywhere.134528/
Relevancy 21.07%

A user has been using her laptop for several years and uses Outlook for her POP3 email.
When we installed a server and joined her laptop to the domain she was unable to see her email without logging out of the server and logging back into her local account.
How do I let her domain profile be the same as her local profile?

A:User loses access to outlook email after being joined to domain

You can't, it's considered as a different user. Just take the settings from Outlook and import them into the other account name.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-loses-access-to-outlook-email-after-being-joined-to-domain.134427/
Relevancy 27.95%

My wireless internet was working fine for about 3 weeks then all of a sudden it says i have limited or no connectivity on my hp laptop but my ps3 and iphone still get full connection? when i click repair it says invalid ip address and that i need to contact my network provider.... well i did that and everything with them was fine then i contacted my wireless router provider and that was fine.... so i am at a loss i went into ctrl panel and went to network connections and its an automatic IP address ... how do i get my internet working again ?

A:Invalid IP Address- limited or no connectivity

You probably should have asked this problem in the Storage and Networking forum. You might try checking out my reply to a similar problem under the following post: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic134190.html. I hope this is helpful.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/invalid-ip-address-limited-or-no-connectivity.133926/
Relevancy 21.5%

Ive got an Acer 7250g and it was working fine until today.When i turn it on i get "User profile service failed the logon" i cant sign in or do anything-help please.

A:User profile service failed the logon

Welcome to Techspot
If you haven't already done so, this may be a grat place to start and get the 'feel' of this forum,
http://www.techspot.com/vb/menu31.html
The following link may help solve your login problem,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/user-profile-service-failed-the-logon.133880/
Relevancy 27.52%

I ve read a few forums online regarding this issue but have not found one that will resolve my problem I have an HP ze that will not connect to the internet I have tried wirelessly and can connect to my router with other devices so I know that is not the issue via ethernet and have even tried using my blackberry as a modem With both wireless and ethernet it says it s connected with limited or no connectivity When trying to repair it gives an error that it can t renew my IP address With the Blackberry thru Standard Modem it shows that it s connected but still no access to the internet I have to admit I m not that tech savvy but I do learn quickly and can comprehend well I ve already tried with the hep of a tech support rep Limited No Unable IP Connection - to or Renew Address most of the steps listed in the previous forum www techspot com vb all windows t- - Unable-to-renew-ip- Limited or No Connection - Unable to Renew IP Address address--limited-connectivity html remove spaces This includes checking Device Manager checking Network Connection properties checking Windows Log errors running Winsock don t remember exactly what but I just wrote in what the tech guy said and I know it had something to do with renew refresh and some other stuff as well as restarting after cancelling all the startups and system stuff in msconfig to make sure nothing was interfering and still get the same the one thing I haven t done is to uninstall and reinstall the driver but I m not sure if that would even help considering it s happening on the ethernet Realtek wireless broadband wlan and standard modem I also pulled up ipconfig all because that was suggested in another forum but not sure what to look for listed below is some of the stuff I noticed not sure if it has to do with anything IP routing not enabled Wins proxy not enabled Wireless Net Connection AutoConfig enabled default gateway is blank IP address physical address and subnet mask all listed Not sure if this makes a difference but I ve also tried connecting to my router s settings url and am unable to pull that page up also I m not sure if I ve tried a static IP or manually setting my IP address because I was doing a lot that the tech rep had me try could someone ellaborate on how I would do that so I could see if I have yet or not I was also thinking of just removing and reloading windows on it anyone think that will help Thanks a bunch Adi P S I have Windows XP home edition Service Pack nbsp

A:Limited or No Connection - Unable to Renew IP Address

Dweebit22 said:

P.S. I have Windows XP home edition, Service Pack 3Click to expand...

What is the security level of your router?
Many people claim they have issues trying to use WPA-PSK2 scurity with Windows XP, and WEP encryption is better.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-or-no-connection-unable-to-renew-ip-address.133080/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi, everyone
I have an serious problem, ive buy an hp 6730B on ebay but when i want to upgrade the bios, my computer wants an administrator password for the flash.
The seller told me he have maybe do an error of typing, beacause his password don't work.
this computer is an compaq 6730B
S/n : CNU8466GNS
P/n : GB987ET#ABF
Service tag : C6730bUP8400W5X16GIBNNF20Qa

Thank you

A:HP 6730B bios admin password problem

hi,
I asked for the same problem in this forum but my threat was deleted with the suggestion to read the Forum FAQs.
I read them but I didn't find why they did it. So I want repeat the question adding it to the yours one:

HP CompaQ nx9005
hash code [ 15656]
I need the system password

I wrote and I just wrote again at the hp forum about it whitout any help, and the hp chat doesn't start because of a bag (I'm not the only one having this problem).

I read all messages of the reference topic about the same problem (as suggested) but I didn't find my needs.
I think I will have to ask about it a lot of time. Hope to find someone who can help me.
thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-6730b-bios-admin-password-problem.132944/
Relevancy 25.8%

I want to transfer big files from my laptop to my pc, I'm not sure how to, i use to do networking via using XP but Vista is totally different from what I have tried, which I couldn't do. I tried to connect but my PC internet connection then disconnects for some reason, I tried to map drive but that didnt work, created files and changed to viewing public but doesnt work (if the computer both have same name would it effect sharing?) Anyone know how to do it? I have a Ethernet switch going between the 2 computers to share internet connection from my broadband modem, both use the ethernet cable. Anyway its both running on Vista 32 bit.

Much appreciated if anybody could help me out

A:How to create a network connection with my PC and laptop?

Have you tried the free FileZilla? or other FTP (File Transfer Protocol). They work pretty well, and can be setup on a USB cable if there are just two machines.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-create-a-network-connection-with-my-pc-and-laptop.132265/
Relevancy 21.07%

Our school is moving from a Workgroup setup to a Domain (Active Directory.) I'm having a problem though. When I set up new users all of their local settings disappear. So now I'm looking for an easy way to migrate User Profiles from the Local User to the new active directory user. I know microsoft has the Active Directory Migration Tool but is that truly the BEST way to do it?? The guide is like 100000 pages long so I'm not even sure if I want to go that route. Thanks in advance guys.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/migrating-from-workgroup-to-domain-user-profile-migration.131944/
Relevancy 26.23%

OK, my subject line might sound cryptic! Here is my set up: first router (main) is connected to the cable modem and provides std addresses as 192.168.1.2 (base is 192.168.1.1) etc. I have a second router (same brand) as a gateway connected to my main. This second router base address is 10.10.10.1 and all that are connected to this one have manually provided IP addresses (such as 10.10.0.2, etc). The main one provides WIFI access as for the second one do not.

Now my question: from my laptop who uses the WIFI network, how can I reach or connect to the other network (the one that is managed with the router with the 10.10.10.1 address? The purpose? I would like to access the computer connected to it as if they were part of the WIFIed network. And be able to access the router management page. Any clue?

A:Cascading routers - how to access admin features from one to the other?

first some basics;

examine the router (the box itself). everything attached to a LAN slot will default to
routing upwards using the WAN slot -- that's a big clue as to what the routing tables looks like.

second; to manage the configuration of a specific router:
a) WIRE a system directly to it
b) login to the router config page using the current router's ip-address

if your network is
modem---router#1----router#2---router#3

then a system attached to routerX will route upward to router(X-1) and NOT downward to router(X+1)

if you wish to have ALL systems (wired and wireless) see and share with each other, then you have too many distinct address.
Leave router#1 as is. disconnect router#2 from #1 and wire router#1 to a LAN port on router#2, leaving its WAN port empty. Log into router#2 and disable DHCP.

Now do the same for the wire from #2-->#3 and disable#3 DHCP.

All systems (wired or WiFi) will get ip-assignments from router#1 and will be able to
ping and share files.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cascading-routers-how-to-access-admin-features-from-one-to-the-other.130510/
Relevancy 26.23%

I recently setup a network at home for 7 computers between me and my brothers. I've been given the task to setup a server. My questions are?

Would it be easier/better to just setup an old pc to be accessible by the whole network to hold files, or do something different?

I've been reading about NAS setups. Are they worth the money being as though this is just for simple mp3 and various movie format storage.

Comparing redundancy and speed, which one is better for a pc, raid 1+0 or raid 5?

Thx for the help

A:Trying to create a home server. 5 tb

Thanks rick, your response was very clear and helpful.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-create-a-home-server-5-tb.130854/
Relevancy 21.93%

hi all i'm new here so be patient and gentle pls.

my question is can i read a report or log file that will tell me how long users have been logged into my server. i run sbs2003 and have some users on remote access via vpn, does the monitoring on the system allow me to view log in times for each user and how long they are logged in.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitoring-user-log-in-times.129887/
Relevancy 28.38%

I have a linkysys cable modem and a netgear wireless modem hooked up to my computer downstairs(Running Xp). Upstairs I have a laptop with wifi(Running Vista).

All day I can have working internet on my downstairs computer unless I go use wifi on my laptop. I go use my laptop for around 10 minutes and then i get "This connection has limited or no connectivity" on both computers. What I do is unplug and then replug the modems, and everything is back to normal until I go use wifi on my laptop again! It's very annoying does anyone know a fix to this problem? Thanks for any help

Also...I would like to add that it seems like everytime one computer watches a video, this problem occurs.

A:Connection limited when using wireless

Hi

the problem is what i call flooding or soaking of the router, not sure what the technical term is though, i get this when i have been downloading anything of a large size on a torrent program, i even get it when my son runs Xbox live for a long time.
My answer like you is to reboot the router and the NTL modem,, not good i know..

I never rated Netgear stuff perferring Belkin and Linksys, however thats not the issue, have you tried the tech support for the router to see if there are any known issues or checked to see if there is an update for your router.?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connection-limited-when-using-wireless.129225/
Relevancy 27.95%

If someone could please help me i would REALLY REALLY appreciate it and wouldn t be able verge or of no with the Limited connectivity myself BS this shooting On to thank you enough First some general info I am connected to the Internet through my Wireless Laptop Whenever i On the verge of shooting myself with this Limited or no connectivity BS connect another router or my Xbox with the God Dam ethernet it keeps saying limited or no connectivity and shows the IP in xx xx what do i do this is really annoying i have tried everything possible reinstalled drivers like times disabled and enabled the ethernet This is what i am getting when i do an ipconfig all Microsoft Windows XP Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings Harris Durrani gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name sonic- c ecf Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List cogeco net Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix cogeco net Description Intel R PRO Wireless ABG Networ k Connection Physical Address - B- -E - C- Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Thursday June AM Lease Expires Friday June AM Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom NetLink TM Gigabit Ethern et Physical Address - D- - - - Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers This is really frustrating someone please help thanks nbsp

A:On the verge of shooting myself with this Limited or no connectivity BS

I was having a similar problem...
This tool helped me resolve in seconds a matter I had struggled with for days...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914440

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/on-the-verge-of-shooting-myself-with-this-limited-or-no-connectivity-bs.129097/
Relevancy 25.8%

I am trying to management partition new windows Can't disk with create create an approximately gb partition for and OS instalation on my gigabyte media drive When Can't create new partition with windows disk management I go to Disk Management and try to shrink the volume it just sits there with the busy mouse symbol I ve left it for about minutes with no change and I ve tried this Can't create new partition with windows disk management twice After I close out computer management and I reopen it Disk Management will not find my disks until I reboot the computer It just says quot Connecting to Virtual Disk Service quot I ve also tried making a partition on my gigabyte hard drive but it will only let me make a megabyte partition even though there are gigabytes free on it The drive has free I ve made a partition on the media drive before though it didn t have as much stuff on it then but I removed that partition Is there another free partitioning tool I could use that won t erase that data on the drive Or is there some way to fix the problem Thanks TC nbsp

A:Can't create new partition with windows disk management

hi Techno.
I have had great results with partition majic http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-Disk-Utils/Partition-Magic.shtml

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-create-new-partition-with-windows-disk-management.129140/
Relevancy 27.95%

ok heres the deal I have a desktop with vista ultimate and a Asock Motherboard also a dual core processor with 2 gb of ram but when I try to connect to the internet I get the Low connectivity issue thats not all I try and put in the ip manually and i put in everithin as it should but when I click ok twice and come back to the same windows it has deleted the ip adrres and net-submask :S my router is a speedtouch 500 series

Thanks in advance

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lan-limited-connectivity-and-network-issue-please-help.128690/
Relevancy 24.51%

well my friend called me up today and told me his PC was running really slow and connectivity" Internet no "Status connection >> is or limited he was having alot of errors I asked him if he ever cleaned it of spyware and such and he said no so I drove over and downloaded and installed AD-aware SE I use the program alot and it works well for removing spyware and adware I scanned his PC and it found over objects most being Internet connection >> "Status is limited or no connectivity" high risk so I removed it all and after a reboot his internet stopped working I tried everything I knew to get it on again and nothing worked he has a wireless Linksys router setup on a cable modem and I tried rebooting the modem and router which did not work we also tried hooking the router up directly to the network adapter and using a nd connection for that forgot what it was called and disabling the wirless connection but that also didn t work we ran a signal test for his Internet connection >> "Status is limited or no connectivity" router and it says it has a strong signal and it can find the router but it cant find the Internet connection >> "Status is limited or no connectivity" internet and the status on his taskbar keeps reading quot Status is limited or no connectivity quot I also tried to log on to his router but it can t find that either S so I am baffled any help is appreciated nbsp

A:Internet connection >> "Status is limited or no connectivity"

Try WinSockFix: http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Network-Tweak/WinSockFix.shtml

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-connection-status-is-limited-or-no-connectivity.48057/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi,
My Hotel has limited my Internet bandwidth to around 5-7 kbps. I was surfing/downloading at around 150 kbps 4-5 days ago.

Is there any way around it by changing the MAC or IP address??

Regards,
Shyam

A:Limited bandwidth issue

If they are controlling bandwidth for one, it will be applied to ALL, so don't waste your time.

If you need more, try some local hotspot

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-bandwidth-issue.125816/
Relevancy 25.8%

When I try to listen to radio audio broadcasts I get the box saying "cannot create direct show player" What can I do? Does this have something to do with directx system? How can I fix this to listen to radio streaming on the internet? Thanks for any suggestions. :knock: :knock:

A:cannot create direct show player

depends on file format

What is it you are trying to listen to? Url?
It depends on the file format the streaming audio is being broadcast in.
Real player, Media player, winamp and others can hi jack the
format comming in.
Make sure you have the right player installed and configured. :giddy:
G'Luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-create-direct-show-player.25349/
Relevancy 28.38%

I tried networking my two home computers.. I simply connected the UTP cables to my router and I set up a home or small office network.. But the icon appears with an X-mark on it and when I view the status it says limited or no connection. What am I suppose to do?

A:LAN status: limited or no connection

More details please.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lan-status-limited-or-no-connection.125163/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hello to all Thanks for accepting me I have a serious trouble with my computer in getting it into net I reloaded the Win XP Pro and the MB drivers ever since the computer failed to connect to internet Still the problem is not solved Prologue Reformatted amp loaded XP Pro Loaded MB Drivers tried the Microsoft patch KB --- No improvement tried running WinsockXPFix exe a Visual Basic programme-- No Progress tried to get Intel R pro network connection drivers- No Improvement tried SP files --No Improvement tried to change the IP Address ipconfig all borrowed from the other working computer -- Still the same connected to same router wired In fact whatever was visible from Internet I did try them all Might have missed some clue running ipconfig all from the problematic returned the following Hostname ipsa Prmry DNS suffix Node Type Unknown IP routing enabled No Wins Proxy quot No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Phsical address - -ED- DHCP enabled Yes Autoconfig enabled Yes quot IP Adress subnet mask default Gateway --- Whereas from the other I get IP Adress subnet mask Default Gateway DHCP connectivity Msg in No Err XP or Win Limited Server DNS Srvers Lease Obtained Lease Expire I am at my wit s end Happy to receive solutions from you all Regards nbsp

A:Limited or No connectivity Err Msg in Win XP

What are your computers specs? What kind of network connection, card or on-board NIC?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-or-no-connectivity-err-msg-in-win-xp.125020/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi all Weird problem that s driving me insane - If I put an external USB drive I ve tried a gb quot gb brand new USB key gb friend s USB key to Able folders USB drives not but files create on into my Dell D XP laptop I am unable to do any update activity on files So the following doesn t work right click select New - gt Able to create folders but not files on USB drives Text Document renaming a file touch a file using Cygwin copying a file from the internal drive to the USB drive If I try I get Unable to create file blahblah Access is denied Copying a file to the USB key gives me quot Cannot copy blah blah Access is Denied Make sure the disk is not full or write protected quot and that the file is not currently in use I ve tried all sorts of files and I get the same error But these will work leading me to believe it s not a write-protect problem Right click select New - gt Folder rename folders even if they contain Able to create folders but not files on USB drives files mkdir a folder from Cygwin All the things in the list about the doesn t-work list on another Windows laptop Can anyone think of where I can start looking to see where the problem is coming from Thanks in advance Michael nbsp

A:Able to create folders but not files on USB drives

What are your computers specs and Operating System?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/able-to-create-folders-but-not-files-on-usb-drives.124138/
Relevancy 28.38%

Hi,

Having been away for the weekend, I have turned on my desktop today and found that the wired ethernet connection is showing "Limited or no connectivity". I can access internet by wireless on this laptop and everything works fine. I have also disabled the wireless adapter and taken the same ethernet cable that was plugged into desktop and plugged into laptop and the laptop connects without a problem.

Am I right to assume that this is a hardware issue on the desktop? I recently rebuilt the computer into a different casing and reformatted the hard drives however I have had the system running for over a week with no problems until today.

Thanks in advance for any help

A:Limited or no connectivity

Ok, does the desktop and the laptop using the same OS?

If yes then try to unplug the network(ethernet) card and power on PC, then shut down and plug in and test if everything is ok.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-or-no-connectivity.124155/
Relevancy 28.81%

I got a intel celeron d 2.13 ghz, fsb 133. i OC it to 2.43 @ 153(or 154..) multiplier 13.
but when i go over 155, the POST starts, it shows no line(the first line is like processor:intel celeron ..bla bla bla.. ).
and it restarts, and its again the fsb on 133 @ default. any suggestions? i have tryed upping Vcore( options are- default;+0.05v;+0.10v;+0.15.)|i have tryed all but with 0.10 and 0.15 it is unstable and giving BSOD'S.)
thanks in your coming advice!!!

A:Limited FSB?

155 must be the systems OC limit

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-fsb.123680/
Relevancy 28.38%

i have a speed of 1.76bit per second+or more(on www.bandwidthplace.com) <- is it only in USA?
on www.speedtest.net it shows-

^^ there is no server near me, so it's about 100km from where i live.
on torrents, there are MANY seeds but it downloads only 300-390kbps.
same on IE7. mayby there's some limits that can only do 400 kbps?
thanks!

A:Limited speed?

So are you having trouble opening up or connecting to Internet pages? I'm running 4000 kb/s 233kb/s. Your router can affect Internet speeds too

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/limited-speed.122764/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi all having successfully cleansed said laptop from various nasties thanks in part to Kimsland and Bobbye i have an issue with the admin login Ok when booting up xp is set to fast user switching and the welcome screen login screen with user accounts Administrator is not included in the list So i hit ctrl alt del twice which then brings up the secure login dialog box So i key in Administrator and the Pavilion DV1000 login? HP admin password that i set and it comes up with quot Unable to log you on HP Pavilion DV1000 admin login? because of an account restriction quot WTF is that The only way i can log in as admin is to reboot into safe mode when it presents itself as another user in the welcome screen list giving in total which quite frankly is ridiculous The main reason the lappy was infected was due to uneducated users installing all kinds of crap as their accounts had admin rights I need to restrict them to limited accounts whilst having full access to the admin account without the need to reboot into safe mode I ve google searched for answers but couldn t find any I m looking for a way to solve this issue so with respect please don t come back with workarounds like quot press shift right-click run as kind of suggestions because i m after full access to admin account without rebooting So any help you can offer would be most appreciated thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-pavilion-dv1000-admin-login.121078/