Windows Support Forum

Laptop not shutting down

Q: Laptop not shutting down

Hi, I need help with my laptop, I bought it a few years back and it has Windows Vista Home now I downgraded it to Windows XP because I'm not very comfortable using Vista and now it's not shutting down..What should I do? Thanks.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Laptop not shutting down

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Laptop not shutting down

Since XP was discontinued about a year or so ago I'd simply suggest re installing Vista & get used to it. It aint that bad.I've had it too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-not-shutting-down.210451/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello I have recently bought a laptop from a friend I dont know a lot Laptop down.. shutting about it it is a Smartbook but with no other manufacturer details on it Have looked it up on the net and the website is www smartbook de It is a Celeron M gig mb ati ddr ram mb ram gb hd other than that i know very little about it When i got the laptop it had a running version of windows xp but it needed to Laptop shutting down.. be activated so I did this over the phone and everything went as planned I then tried to do some updates for it These seemed to work also until i rebooted the machine and when it got to the welcome sreen it shut itself down I thought it may be a one off so i rebooted Laptop shutting down.. and it died in the same place So i went into safe mode with no problems and did a system restore Back to normal after having to activate windows yet again So i tried installing service Laptop shutting down.. pack sp with the machine and again after a while it froze the machine Rebooting caused it to shut down after a short while again before finishing loading windows Ok will do a fresh install but that wont even let me finish get half way through the setup and switches off Went backwards next time had an old version of windows from one of my other pcs that does the same setup gets so far then the machine shuts down HHHEEELLLPPP possible hardware fault all the cooling appears to be fine cleaned out and running ok nbsp

Relevancy 43.43%

bcamus hotm said Hello From Montreal Surfing thru the internet I came across this site and I fiqured it might be a lot of fun and at the same time straigten out some issues Regards BryanClick to expand I bought an HP laptop a while back and I have some very peculiar problems with it It is a Vista dv pavilion and actually it is a very impressive machine The problem goes like this when I brought it home I started to work with it after about two weeks it just shutting Laptop down. Keeps went off When I tried to get it going it would stay on for a few seconds and then go off Even in safe mode it would not stay on I brought it back to where I bought it and the guy told me that it needed to be re-formatted and that it was a software problem he was on about the fact that there was Laptop Keeps shutting down. no firewall But this is impossible This Laptop Keeps shutting down. model comes with so much software it s almost unbeleiveable And yes it comes with norton But the guy starts telling me that that the norton was not activated But the funny thing is the laptop went off just after I finished using norton There was a language issue going on and in the end I ended up paying for the format job because It was either that or start a war also HP does not supply the backup discs when you buy a laptop so you guys out there keep that is mind They fiqure anybody can fiqure how to make their own discs So when I got home I fiqured everything would be allright but after about ten days the same thing happened Now I m getting a bit frustrated So I went back again with my laptop this time with my brother-in-law because because he speaks french Again the salesman insisted its the way it s set up So he re-formatted it this time for free and also he made back-up discs or else When I picked up the laptop the next day I started the laptop right up in front of him and completely deleted norton and downloaded the AVG firewall the exact Laptop Keeps shutting down. same thing I ve been using for about two years on my other computer without any problems I brought it home and after about ten days the same thing happened again So now I m sitting here wondering what I m supposed to do now Fortunately I have a two-year extended warrenty but this only covers the hardware Where are the Nexium s also the brightness goes up and down I think the battery is finished but every time I try to test the battery it tells me to put the laptop on AC power But this thing is possessed because it is plugged in Now the battery is possibly screwed and I can t get a reading Because the laptop is telling me it s working on battery power but it s not nbsp

A:Laptop Keeps shutting down.

Post moved to it`s own thread.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-keeps-shutting-down.77002/
Relevancy 43.43%

My laptop keeps shutting down, I have taken it back to where it was purchased and told it was because it had a virus, i have scanned computer and no virus appears to be there. They say that the fact these 3 boxes
C:\windows\system32\igfxtray.exe
C:\windows\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\windows\system32\hkcmd.exe
come up everytime it restarts means there is a virus, you have to click run on each box.
Told to install recover disc and go back to full factory settings but don't want to do this yet as i have just recently install microsoft office 2007 and assume won't be able to install again unless i purchase another copy! and i'm not convinced there is a virus
Can anyone suggest what may be wrong.

Relevancy 43.43%

wheen i first poweron my lapi yesterday,it starts normally but after 15secc it shhutdoown..and when i try to power on it it doesnot open and shut down again and again... but after some time i just searh in hpp support then i unplug the charger and put out the battery from laptop then hold the power button for 20 sec then plug in the charger and battery and power on the laptop...my caplocks blink continuously ...suddenly my laptop open and i copy my imp file... but after 15min it again shut down now its not opening and there is red blink in cpu signal/battery signal at the front side of lapi... plz help me... caan any one guess what is the problem 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/laptop-shutting-down/td-p/5635695
Relevancy 43.43%

Hey guys,

My laptop, a Fujitsus Siemens keeps shutting down as soon as I start watching a video on youtube, skynews or movies as well as series on internet. Can anyone help me please?

thanks in advance

A:My Laptop keeps shutting down

Hi,
What type of laptop is it? (what processor, what type of graphic card)
Does it go black all of a sudden or does it say "windows is saving you settings", blah, blah? This could be caused by overheating, especially if it happens during graphics heavy operations.
You could check if there are new drivers for your laptop/graphics card.
Also if it does the windows shutting down part it might be a virus, so a virus scan is welcomed.
Hope this helps.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/my-laptop-keeps-shutting-down-638277.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Every time I boot it up, all it takes is around 20 minutes of use (estimate) and then the laptop shuts down for no reason. There's also something else that's rather weird; even though the charger's plugged in as I'm using the computer, it still says that the battery's at 0%, but it does state that it is connected to a power source, so why isn't it charging? Could this be related to this whole thing?

The hard drive is far from full, there's less than 10 applications installed, and there's nothing suspicious in the startup list, so I doubt it's malware or viruses and whatnot.

What could be causing this? Overheating? Problems with the charger itself, maybe?

Cheers.

A:My laptop keeps shutting down

My guess is an overheating issue and a dead battery issue.

What's the brand name and model name and model number of that laptop, and how long have you owned it?

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-laptop-keeps-shutting-down.1170799/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a Toshiba L-305D that is sitting on a cooling pad and it keeps shutting itself down when ever it feels like it. I have tried everything that I can think of. System repair didn't work, system restore didn't work so I did an SFC/scannow and I am attaching the report. I did the scan 3 times and it didn't fix the problem. The report is from the third scan. I have windows vista premium home edition, 32 bit and I have the product ID but I don't have the physical disc. The disc didn't come with the laptop. Can someone please explain to me in detail what it is I need to do to fix my laptop before it drives me crazy. Thank You

A:Laptop keeps shutting itself off

Welcome
Dont worry about the disc, if you have a legit key I can give you and ISO to burn the disc. The problem may be hardware related, however and a new OS would not help that.
Can you give us these reports?
Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/298369-laptop-keeps-shutting-itself-off.html
Relevancy 43.43%

i have had an asus w3000 for a few years and it is great. does run hotter than any other laptop i have used. i'm not sure if that's the issue, but my laptop keeps turning itself off. i'm not very technically talented but my staff at the library is and they have been cleaning it up all day. it is running better. i made a slide show on movie maker and have been trying to download it off and on for days. it starts to download, then shuts off. i have been researching the heating aspect and carefully cleaned the dust off the fan and put it back together, turned it on and tried to download again. it turned itself off again. any ideas? thanks.

A:Laptop shutting itself off

You might want to check your RAM with Memtest86, download the ISO version burn it to a CD and then put this in your Laptop after this go into your BIOS (normally F2 or F5) and check that the CD drive is the first bootable option and then save these options, the comp will start again with the CD, you set the test going and let it run for 3-5 hours (minimum of 7 passes) or overnight. - http://www.memtest.org/

If Memtest86 doesn't find any errors then download your HDD manufacturers test and test your HDD.
After this post back if you find the problem or have any questions.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-shutting-itself-off.108746/
Relevancy 43.43%

My cousin gave me her laptop because it wont boot. ive been trying to run SpinRite to check the hard drive but it keeps shutting down after about 10 mins, so i tried to run mem86 to check the ram but same thing.

Is there anything else i can run or do to find where the problem is?.

Im running the laptop with the mains lead in.

Thanx
Paul

A:laptop keeps shutting down

can you boot into safe mod tap F8 as booting

it may be an overheating problem - can you blow out all the vents ??
lots of laptops are fixed by cleaning out the vents using compressed air

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-keeps-shutting-down.535470/
Relevancy 43.43%

My laptop (running windows XP) keeps shutting down on its own every few hours, it will shutdown once, then I will turn it back on and it will shut down again, and it does this like 4-5 times before I can get it to work again, and then a few hours later it will keep shutting down again, and the pattern keeps continuing. Since it is a laptop.... I dont think it can be overheating or anynthing like that, and it has a power supply plugged in all the time and the battery is in, so it cant be anything like running out of power. Could it be a virus or spyware or something like that perahps? Please, if anyone knows anything about why this may be happening, and how to fix this problem, please reply to this thread, thank you.

Relevancy 43.43%

My laptop keeps crashing with and without internet connection... everytime I try to sign on, I get as far as the desktop, my icons will not load and a message pops up saying:

"This system is shutting down. Please save all work in prgress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was intiated by NT_AUTHORITY

WINDOWS MUST NOW RESTART BECAUSE OF THE DCOM SERVER PROCESS LAUNCHER SERVICE TERMINATED UNEXPECTEDLY."

I have Windows XP.

Any ideas on what the problem could be. The laptop is an IBM Thinkpad

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-keeps-shutting-down.575529/
Relevancy 43.43%

My Dell laptop keeps shutting off while connected to AC - I thought somehow it was going to standby (did not know how to remedy that ) but now I cant even start it up
This all sems to have happened since installing NAV 2003 - the only think I have done recently -

Any suggestions
I have tried two outlets at home to insure the outlet was not faulty and thus using battery until used up

Thanks for this great service - how do I post a thank you on this site for the help I receive

Relevancy 43.43%

Toshiba Satellite. I was going to make a video of what it's doing but basically it's just going dead. I'll turn it on, sometimes it dies (it doesn't 'shut down' it just 'dies') right away, sometimes it'll stay on for a few minutes before dying.
I've heard these laptops have an issue with the power button and the machine overheating and that causing it to shut off, and I've had that problem in the past.
It's shutting off constantly lately. Wondering if I have an old, bad battery or if the power cord and pack or going bad, or both? The spot where the power cord plugs in is also loose (I problem I had on my old Dell) sometimes I have to jiggle it (bad, I know) to even get the laptop some juice.

I swear I'll buy a second desktop PC before I ever buy a laptop again...no luck with them at all.

A:Laptop keeps shutting off

I need to do a search before I post a problem that everyone seems to be having LOL
I've taken the battery out and fired it up...we'll see what happens.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-keeps-shutting-off.195853/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi,

I have come back to my laptops serveral times now and I get the message saying Windows has recovered from an unexpected shut down. My laptop is a Sony Vaio VPCEC1M1E. I have attached the Minidump files and would be grateful if someone could please take a look and let me know what the problem might be?

Thanks

A:Laptop Shutting Down

Your display driver, ATI radeon was the cause
Remove the current version and install the latest one
Sony eSupport - Electronics - Select Your Model

Code:
BugCheck 3B, {c0000005, fffff880048d1817, fffff88007369900, 0}

Probably caused by : atikmdag.sys ( atikmdag+90817 )

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/146525-laptop-shutting-down.html
Relevancy 43.43%

(Not sure if this is where to post this kind of question but whatever!) Okay, so recently my Laptop won't let me shut it off. All I can do is go on Stand By, can anyone help?

A:Laptop not shutting off!??

same with mine.. it says saving ur settings then it just freezes

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-not-shutting-off.15247/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello, I have weird problem with my Dell Inspiron 5521

It's shutting down itself every exactly 30min

I believe that it is not heat issue because I send this laptop to clean up fan and replace themal silicone at cpu with Dell Authorize shop.

** Last temp. before shutdown is 45 Celcius **

I have log this shutdown event with several condition and its still shut itself every exact 30 min

With Chillpad - 30 min
On/Off Wifi - 30 min
No Batterry 30 min
Power by Battery 30min
Shutdown even in BIOS mode

Solution I have try
Format and install Window 7/8
Flash Bios

Thank you for your help!

A:My Laptop keep shutting down at exactly 30 min

Are the power down, sleep and hibernate settings properly set?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-keep-shutting-down-at-exactly-30-min.203521/
Relevancy 43.43%

My windows xp laptop keeps shutting down on me after like 10 mins. Is it overheating? If it is, is there a way to fix it?

thanks.

Relevancy 43.43%

hi all,

bit of a strange problem. i have an Acer 1362LC laptop and i decided to rebuild my laptop. well when i start the XP install process i get to the screen where i can create the partitions and format the HDD but randonmly the laptop switces off. i have the charger plugged in when doing this and it stills goes off. have removed the ram modules and tried the install with i=each slot on its own in different slots and also tried the install while only running off the charger(removed the battery). i get no warning when the laptop shuts down.

any ideas??????????

A:Laptop keeps shutting down

colin321

hi Im newby and feel like a fish out of water have no tech know how jus looing for infomation

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-keeps-shutting-down.79410/
Relevancy 43.43%

Problem:

Laptop seems to shut down after indeterminant amount of time for unknown reason.

Ideas:

Overheating? Looked up my CPU information, determined that normal operating temperature was 80C. Downloaded SpeedFan to monitor temperature. Upon starting up laptop, CPU was still below operating temperature, yet still shut down.

Video card? I have gotten Windows pop-ups telling me my video card has errored after screen has flickered. Under "Action Center" it shows an error (which recently disappeared) and that I should search for drivers to rectify, upon searching Windows finds drivers up to date.

Virus/Spyware? Frequenly run Comodo antivirus and Spybot S&D as well as have an operating Comodo Firewall. Also have (but don't use as frequently) Windows Defender and whatever firewall Windows has.

System Information:

Display Information:

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advanced!

A:Laptop shutting down out of nowhere.

Hi,

How old is your computer? Have you had this problem from the beginning, or did this start happening recently? Before the problem came about, did you make any changes to your system (e.g. new software/hardware installation/uninstallation), or did you notice anything else unusual happen before the problems started manifesting? When you say your computer shuts down after a certain period of time; does it display any kind of BSOD or other error prior to the shutdown, or does it simply go to a black screen and then restart? Or is it none of the above? Also when you say the 'normal operating temperature' for your CPU is 80C; are we talking about the maximum operating temperature the CPU will run at before shutting down for safety reasons, or did you mean the current temperature of the CPU at the time you checked? If it's the latter, then I'd be worried if I were you . It could be either an improperly connected or faulty CPU cooler/heatsink, or it could be missing or improperly applied CPU thermal grease. Also see if you can determine the temperature of the graphics card, if you don't already have a tool for this you can download a program called HWMonitor. Finally what is typically the last thing you are doing before the computer shuts down, is it always the same thing or is there no pattern in this respect? Post back here and let me know how this all goes.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Jon.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/laptop-shutting-down-out-of-nowhere-463132.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone was able to help me find out what is the problem with my laptop because it is shutting itself off every 10-20 minutes and it is not because of overheating since I have a heating cooler on this laptop so I don't know what is the problem?!

Please help!
Thanks in advance!!

A:Laptop shutting off by itself

Right click on My Computer -- Manage.
Go to Event Viewer and under System check for errors just around the time your Windows reboots.

You can export the system events into a .evt file and post it here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/259629/laptop-shutting-off-by-itself/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a Gateway It is a couple of years old It has a Pentium in it I am Running XP My virus protection is AVG I regularly run Windows Defender yeah I know and Adaware Within the past week my computer has started shutting off I will be working on something and it will just turn off When it turns off It just immediately powers off No shut down process Usually within - minutes A couple of times it has gone more than an hour before shutting down If I try to turn it on immediately it won laptop keeps shutting My down t come on If I wait at least an hour I can turn it on again The left My laptop keeps shutting down top quarter of the keyboard gets very hot Especially on the underside of the computer I have PC Wizard installed and it indicates the processor temperature is around F which from what I could find is pretty average Any ideas on what could be causing this I am writing this from work since my home computer isn t working right Thanks in advance for any help nbsp

Relevancy 43.43%

This is a challenger for the forums My laptop is randomly shutting itself off It will power down with the sound that you get when you hold the power button for seconds It will sometimes make it into windows most of the time it only Laptop itself Shutting down makes it just past boot I can get into my bios settings but everytime I boot up my laptop I have the error saying CMOS is incorrect and Laptop Shutting itself down my computer time has been reset To make matters worse I know my power supply is fine used it on other computers my laptop doesn t stay on long enough to overheat and all my fans are running In order to reboot the computer after it shuts down I need to disconnect all power sources and then reconnect one I just want to know if my motherboard is screwed or there is an underlying issue that I might be missing There are no beeps at startup and from what I know no lights flash any code during the time the laptop is on nbsp

A:Laptop Shutting itself down

malak2004 said:

I know my power supply is fine, used it on other computersClick to expand...

Using a laptop power adapter on another computer is not advisable

I would start by checking the Ram cards and Hard Drive, by at least reseating them
There is also a CMOS battery holding your CMOS settings, but to get at it may require you to dismantle the laptop (anyway you mentioned c\o Mobo, so you must know how to do this)

There may also be a Bios update or some patch or something, you can contact most large manufactures and update drivers or software from THIS thread

You could also run Memtest on your Ram

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-shutting-itself-down.127090/
Relevancy 43.43%

I'm trying to trouble shoot why my asus g75vw isn't shutting down.

When I hit shutdown, it basically gets all the way to turning off the screen, but the fans and power stay on. It will stay like this until it runs out of power or I kill it.

I'm trying to use the system configuration tool to diagnose it. When using the Diagnostic Startup option, it only has only these services running on startup.

* Group Policy Client
* RPC Endpoint Mapper
* User Profile Service
* Plug and Play
* DCOM Server Process Launcer
* Application Information
* Remote Procedure Call

When trying to shutdown, doesn't work.

I started in safe mode, it shuts down perfectly.

In the system configuration under diagnostic startup, when trying to check off the few services that are checked and hit apply, They re-check themselves. I can't seem to check them off.

Could I possible get some help on what to look at next?

Thanks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/385156-laptop-not-shutting-down-need-help.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a laptop that will spontaneously shut itself off. This gets VERY annoying at times, and sometimes happens at the least convenient time (like now when I'm trying to do virus/spyware scans). Is there any way I can tell what is making it shut off? Any program out there that will log if it's software or hardware causing it? I know this is a long shot, but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Sometimes it will go days before it shuts off, other times it will only stay on for a few mins. It also seems to shut off if something I REALLY want done is being performed (like now, I'm trying to do a spybot scan, I've tried 4 times now, and it shuts off every time. Before that it shut off during an AdAware scan), so it may just be the evil leprechauns doing it... but I don't know.

Relevancy 43.43%

I was on my laptop and its battery went down so it went in to hibernation. When I plugged it in it still wasn't coming on so I press the off button until it went off. Now it keeps saying "we appologized for the inconvienince but windows did not start successfully." I pressed "start windows normally" and it just keeps doing the same thing over and over again! Please help!!!!!!

Relevancy 43.43%

Good evening Greyknight and friends I am writing to ask some help with a laptop Laptop keeps off shutting my brother has For some reason it shuts down the moment you log into an account I am thinking this could be the result of some Laptop keeps shutting off sort of virus trojan I can get the laptop to work fine in safe mode and sometimes working with networking as well The fan seems fine so I don't believe this to be the problem I know the laptop has problems with 'mysearch' programs but I'm guessing there may be more problems with the laptop Please help The laptop runs on Windows Vista I am now going Laptop keeps shutting off to Laptop keeps shutting off post a Hijackthis log as I know you will ask for it many thanks for your help Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Safe mode with network support Running processes C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows helppane exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Users Jt Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www fujitsu-siemens com index R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http search mywebsearch com mywebs Bf OqL MP xCSQ R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www fujitsu-siemens com index R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - C Program Files AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dll R - URLSearchHook no name - A FAF - E- cf- - F A D - no file O - Hosts localhost O - BHO MyWebSearch Search Assistant BHO - A FAF - E- cf- - F A D - C Program Files MyWebSearch bar bin MWSSRCAS DLL O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO mwsBar BHO - B EA -A - -B BB- DE CCA - C Program Files MyWebSearch bar bin MWSBAR DLL O - BHO WormRadar com IESiteBlocker NavFilter - CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - C Program Files AVG AVG avgssie dll O - BHO Windows Live Family Safety Browser Helper - f ed cd- - a - f -d f d ac - C Program Files Windows Live Family Safety fssbho dll O - BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO no name - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - no file O - BHO Search Helper - EBF - F- bff-A F-B E AAC B - C Program Files Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack Search Helper SEPsearchhelperie dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - C Program Files AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live Toolbar Helper - E A DC - - A - EA-DC EC ACF - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar wltcore dll O - Toolbar amp Windows Live Toolbar - FA EF- D- D - B F- A D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar wltcore dll O - Toolbar AVG Security Toolbar - CCC A -B CA- -B A - F DD - C Program Files AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dll O - Toolbar My Web Search - B EA -A - -B BB- DE CCA -... Read more

Hello and Welcome to TSF.

We no longer use HijackThis as our initial analysis tool.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link I'll give you below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/laptop-keeps-shutting-off-426561.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Literally just blacks out while I'm in the middle of something, shuts down and I have to power it up again. Last night it happened three times in maybe 15 minutes, and even that is rather generous.

It's happened both while plugged in and while on the battery, so common sense says it can't be a battery problem. I only had a browser with three tabs and one Word document running, so I doubt it can be due to overload. It doesn't seem hot to the touch and I didn't get the overheating notification thing on my screen.

I've seen in earlier threads on this topic that some advice-givers suggested running the HWMonitor to check the temps, so I did that, but the figures don't mean anything to me. Here's a screenshot, if someone can tell me whether these temps are normal.

I am not really sure whats wrong, but I can reassure you that it is probably not the CPU overheating. As long as the sensors are correct, and they are displaying the right temperatures, you should be fine. The thermal limit of the i3 380M is 90C according to specs online. I hope someone else can chime in on other possible solutions.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-keeps-shutting-off.204846/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a Compaq C700 and when windows try to load it says configuring updates Stage 3 of 3 0% Complete Do not turn off your computer. THis keeps happening over and over. I have tried to do recovery from hard drive but no success. Any help would bew greatly appreciated! Thank you!!

Relevancy 43.43%

? windows 7
? x86 (64-bit)
? What was original installed OS on system? Windows 7 x86(64 bit)Home premium
? Is the OS an OEM version? It was pre-installed
? Age of system (hardware) About 2 years
? Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? Since Aug 2010 No i have not.

? CPU AMD Athlon? 64 TF-20
? Video Card ATI RadeonTM HD 3200 Graphics
? MotherBoard Acer mb.n672.001
? Power Supply - brand & wattage ACPI 3.0 & 48.8 W 4400 mAh

? System Manufacturer eMachines
? Exact model number E627 kawgo

A:My laptop keeps shutting down.

NOTE: I have severe eye problems. If I do not respond to your postings, please PM another staff member for assistance.

FYI: I am having eye surgery on Wednesday, October 19, 2011.
I expect to be back online (barring any complications) within 2 days.
If I'm not back online by then, please PM another staff member for further assistance.

Only running the Oct 2011 memory dumps (1 from June 2011 and several from 2010 not run)

Please do the following to update Windows:

Quote:

Installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1
1. Visit the PC manufacturer's website and update ALL drivers. DO NOT use Windows Update or the "Update drivers" function of Device Manager.
2. Check Device Manager for any unknown/disabled devices - if there are unknown/disabled devices, fix them with the latest drivers from the device manufacturer's website (not the PC Manufacturer)
3. Visit Windows Update and get all updates
4. Visit Windows Update and get Service Pack 1 (usually under Important Updates). Read these notes for installing SP1: Steps to follow before you install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 from the Microsoft Download Center
5. Visit Windows Update and get any other available updates

No network card listed in systeminfo.txt - is the system able to go on the internet?

MSINFO32 shows a problem with SPLDR. This problem usually occurs due to a virus infection. Please follow this suggestion to see if the system is infected:

Quote:

Please run one of these free, independent online malware scans to ensure that your current protection hasn't been compromised: Free Online AntiMalware Resources (read the details at the link)
There are also free, bootable antivirus disks at this link: Free Online AntiMalware Resources - Bootable Disks
If you find malware, here's a link on how to post in the Security Center: NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

MSINFO32 shows 6 memory dumps
2 that I'd suspect were related to a malware infection (STOP 0xF4 blaming wininit.exe)
4 STOP 0xD1 blaming athrx.sys (your wireless drivers) - this makes the question about network cards from above more important.

I am not a big fan of Norton 360 - so I'd suggest doing this to test to see if it's the cause of your problems. It's much easier to do this than it is to troubleshoot the problem (if it's the Norton):

Quote:

Anti-Virus Removal:
Please do the following:
- download a free antivirus for testing purposes: Free AntiVirus
- uninstall the Norton from your system (you can reinstall it, if so desired, when we're done troubleshooting)
- remove any remnants of Norton using this free tool: http://us.norton.com/support/kb/web_...080710133834EN
- IMMEDIATELY install and update the free antivirus, then check to ensure that the Windows Firewall is turned on.
- check to see if this fixes the BSOD's
NOTE: NEVER run more than 1 anti-virus, firewall, Internet Security/Security Center application at the same time.

If the Norton removal doesn't fix things, then try replacing the wireless driver (available from teh manufacturer's website). If that doesn't fix things, then I'd have to wonder if the damage from the virus infection was preventing the repair.

In short, at that point, your options are:
- to see if the Security Center folks can repair the OS
- a repair install of Win7: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...r-install.html
- a backup of your data, wiping the hard drive, and reinstalling Win7

Quote:

For testing purposes, it's best to install Windows "clean".
This is, basically, installing it the way that Microsoft intended (using drivers from Windows Update).
This procedure is for Windows 7, Vista is similar (but has 2 service packs)

You will need your installation/recovery DVD(s) before you start. Once you wipe the hard drive there's no going back!!!

1. Backup all y... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/my-laptop-keeps-shutting-down-606679.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi, I am having a few problems with my laptop. I have an emachine M6811 and I switched to microsoft Beta 2 yesterday. For the past few months my computer would randomly shut it self down. Sometines it would do it while I was at work and it was just downloading from edonkey. But in the last few weeks it would do it while I was using it, today it has done it twice, and I am trying to work on my masters. The other issue is that the screen keeps flickering. When it does that I shut the screen and reopen it and it seems fine. If you can help, please let me know!!

A:Laptop shutting down

To be honest, I would never recomend Beta software since it designed for use by IT specialists only. I dont think the problems are caused by software but its worth uninstalling the Beta software and trying again.

Regards,

korrupt

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-shutting-down.57791/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi my laptop keeps shutting off or getting stuck while on it. I use to get a message system your cooling system not working but did a system restore so that doesn't come up. on the back of my laptop it does feel hot I let a tech look at it today and he used a compressed air and he sprayed the fan and computer . he said he see's no dust , corrosion , or damage to the laptop. and gave it back to me so far it didn't shut off yet but the computer is still hot and feel like it will again. Anything else it could be or any advice on how fix this problem?

A:My laptop keeps shutting off

Lift it up off the desk. It's overheating. Buy a laptop cooling pad.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-laptop-keeps-shutting-off.204609/
Relevancy 43.43%

From time to time when powering down my Laptop (Dell Inspiron 17) , the two blue lights in front remain on & I need to take out the battery
I would like to know what is possibly causing this and how I can get it corrected

A:Shutting down Laptop

Fast Startup maybe?

Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/41521-shutting-down-laptop.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a five years old Dell laptop that has been working fine until a month ago. I had Youtube on for couple hours and my wife got mad. She pounded on the left corner of the laptop, right under the keyboard. The screen started to flicker and the laptop just shut off. I was able to format the hard drive and re-installed Windows XP after several attempts. Now the laptop keeps shutting itself off. I am thinking about replacing the hard drive, but I'm not sure if that will solve the problem. Does anyone know which componet is causing the laptop to shut itself off?

You can just remove the Hard Drive and see if it shuts off by itself or not
If not, it may just be a Windows issue

Here's a couple of helpful threads:

Tutorial: No POST (Power On Self Test)
UBCD4Win (backup and re-install Windows clean)
Dell Drivers and info

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-keeps-shutting-down.124117/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi,

I know that this isn't a W7 related querstion, but you folks are so smart with this sort of thing, and this is such a terrific Forum, I thought I'd take the liberty of asking here anyway.

Family member has a 5+ year old Dell laptop running XP.

Runs it with the PC plugged into the wall 110 V outlet.

While working on the PC, every 5 minutes or so, it shuts itself off.

When actually working, it's fine.

Any thoughts as to why this might be ?

Could it be overheating ? Or,...?

BTW: do laptops (usually) have a built in fan ?

Thanks,
Bob

A:Laptop Shutting Itself Off ?

Quote: Originally Posted by Robert11

Hi,

I know that this isn't a W7 related querstion, but you folks are so smart with this sort of thing, and this is such a terrific Forum, I thought I'd take the liberty of asking here anyway.

Family member has a 5+ year old Dell laptop running XP.

Runs it with the PC plugged into the wall 110 V outlet.

While working on the PC, every 5 minutes or so, it shuts itself off.

When actually working, it's fine.

Any thoughts as to why this might be ?

Could it be overheating ? Or,...?

BTW: do laptops (usually) have a built in fan ?

Thanks,
Bob

Yes, laptops have a built-in fan.

What do you mean, when it's actually working it's fine?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/52233-laptop-shutting-itself-off.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi there everyone,i have recently started experiencing the above issue with my Acer Aspire laptop.This happens more often when i am playing games on Facebook,the system shuts down without any notice on warning.
Any kind of help would be much appreciated.

A:laptop shutting down by itself

Games are very resource-intensive & that generates more heat from the CPU & graphics adapter. Keeping the temperature down to a safe level is a challenge on a laptop (compared to a large PC) because of the restricted space. They are therefore not ideal for gameplay and not designed for such use (with the exception of purpose-built gaming laptops, but even then I would argue they are not ideal for gameplay as they are still cramped inside).

Shutdown is triggered automatically when the temperature reaches a critical level, to protect the hardware from permanent damage. Check that all the cooling vents are clear, and have the laptop sitting on a hard surface, not your lap.

If you want a better gaming experience, avoiding the overheat shutdowns, buy a full-size PC, a gaming laptop like Dell's Alienware series or, better still, a games console.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-shutting-down-by-itself-669858.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I purchased a refurbished Toshiba Tecra off of ebay two years My shutting laptop HELP! keeps just off.. ago When I bought it the battery didn t really hold a charge and so I would always use it plugged into the wall A couple months ago I had to replace the powercord because it was coming apart and didnt have any problems with it until a couple days ago when my computer just shut off when I was in the middle of using it I turned it back on and didnt have a problem after that The next day it shut off several times in a row and then wouldnt even turn on for long enough to get to the windows screen even though it was plugged into the wall I thought it was the new cord I bought so HELP! My laptop just keeps shutting off.. I switched back to the old one I had no problems for a several hours with the old cord until finally it started shutting off for no reason again I tried the newer cord again and still had the same problem What could be causing this Do I need a battery replaced or is it some kind of virus PLEASE HELP thanks nbsp

A:HELP! My laptop just keeps shutting off..

Remove the battery and see if the laptop powers normally. If it does, the battery is shorted and it will need to be replaced, or left out of the laptop permanently

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-my-laptop-just-keeps-shutting-off.91502/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hello, My Acer eMachines E529 laptop is shutting down itself, It's not battery problem or Ac problem. It could be overheating but all fans are working, what else can be his problem?

A:Laptop shutting down itself

It's overheating, my cpu goes till 90 and shuts down, what can be done about it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-shutting-down-itself.215820/
Relevancy 43.43%

Each time I start my acer laptop it goes to system repair screen. When I run this screen it says "cannot repair system" .
I have tried opening with f8 key in safe mode but no go.
Can get to open dos screen but dont know what to do.
If you can help... ?? !!
Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-keeps-shutting-down.717646/
Relevancy 43.43%

hiya wondering if anyone can help me got a acer aspire laptop it s just under 2 yr old when turn it on it last s 5 mins even with the charger plugged in it sound s the same when starts up and it s not to hot either was wondering if any one could tell me does it need new battery or is it possible that the hard drive need s replacing

A:laptop keeps shutting down

Are you able to check the state of the battery charge?

Remove the battery. Connect the power adapter. Turn on the laptop. Does it turn on? If not, the adapter isn't working. This could be due to a dead adapter or a bad connection, damaged power plug receptacle (where it connects to the computer).

If it turns on, the power adapter is good.

Get back with your result.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-keeps-shutting-down.905376/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a dell inspirion 5100 running XP home, trend mirco internet security, office 2003 For some reason it has started to just shut down on its own. I thought it was getting to hot, but do not think that is the case as it has run form quite some time and never shuts off. then it may be up for 5 minutes and shuts down. Had trouble with a power adapter, have a new one so that should not be the problem, it is a dell adapter. Where should I begin chanking for problems. Look forward to your comments.

Gary

Relevancy 43.43%

My laptop (a latitude 6520), displays a black screen and shuts down without warning or explanation. It does so within 20 minutes of booting up. Sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less.
I connected my laptop to a monitor and set the display on the monitor only. Within a few minutes, the monitor went to a yellow screen and my laptop again shut down.
Windows Event Viewer doesn't provide any insight, other than an improper reboot.
I ran the BIOS test and and the LCD cable test failed with error code 2000-0415. The display works fine before the laptop shuts down. Is this failure causing the shutdowns?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19995693
Relevancy 43.43%

I have been having trouble with my pc for some time now. It runs fine until I try to stream anything or do a basic Malwarebytes scan. As soon as I do either of these the fan turns up real high then the pc shuts off. I have tried numerous fixes found on these forums but none of them have fixed the problem. Any further suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Melisa

Sounds like it is overheating and shutting down to prevent damage. I recommend dusting out the computer intake and exhaust. Dust can get built up in the vents and cause over heating. Use canned air or an air compressor to blow through the intake and exhaust where the fan is, if you use an air compressor, use no more than 40psi, you do not want to overspeed the fan. You could also take it to a tech shop, the one I used to work at would do this for free. Call first as I am sure not all will.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/534181/laptop-keeps-shutting-down/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi I have an HP Laptop and for the past week or so it has been shutting down If I m on the online game I like to play with my friend it shuts down after about - minutes If I m just on the internet it will shut down after about an hour depending down laptop shutting HP on what website I m on When I turn it back on it displays the overheating message that is on Windows I know HP laptop shutting down that it isn t overheating or is it because at one point I left it turned off for a day and a half and it shut off a few minutes after I turned it on My father thinks it might be an issue with the fan I usually have the laptop on a table in my room when I m using it so I m not blocking any air vents Will someone please tell me what s happening to my laptop and or tell me how to fix it I would gladly appreciate all the information I can get I ve also used all I think computer cleaning programs that come with windows maybe a few more that I installed and even though I ve cleaned it in every way possible it s still not working Thanks for the help Edit Oh yes and when it turns off I have to wait about - minutes before trying to turn it HP laptop shutting down back on otherwise it will just shut down again in the middle of turning on Just thought it might be useful to know because I m sure you guys out there fixing computers need all the information you can get And if it can t be fixed then does anyone have any advice on a laptop that would be able to handle lots of gaming Because I m kind of leaning toward putting all of my documents on a flashdrive buying a gaming laptop and putting my stuff on their to get rid HP laptop shutting down of this one that I was talking about I do a lot of gaming so I m guessing that might be why my laptop isn t working nbsp

A:HP laptop shutting down

The fan draws in dust over time and it gets lodged into the cooling fins for the CPU and video processor. This causes the motherboard heat sensor to shut down the laptop. A person with laptop repair experience can fix this easily, but the thermal paste on the CPU and the thermal pads may also need to be replaced

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-laptop-shutting-down.178721/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a toshiba satellite a215-s4807. It randomly gives me a blue screen with lots of weird numbers & letters on it, then restarts. It also shuts down on me. please help!!!

Hopefully Mailpup will see this and move it to the BSOD forum.
May I suggest that you start by reading this post.
Then, follow the suggestions there, for posting your minidump files.
Whether or not mailpup moves your thread to the BSOD forum, just make your next post in answer to mine.
One of us will be glad to look over you minidumps and try to help you sort out the problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-keeps-shutting-down.155477/
Relevancy 43.43%

my NEC i-Select M4610 laptop keeps shutting down it trys to start up again but with no sucsses its only recently started doing this and the only change ive made is to get BT broad band. it works fine in work so its not a case of over heating ive evan reset back to factory settings and started again with no change ive replaced the power pack with a new one and i have tryed direct to power socket without the battery as i know its knackerd it no longer holds a charge but i still get the same thing it somtimes makes it as far as getting my dek top up but not for long and it starts shutting down and starting up again. can anybody help its starting to get annoying now.

Hard drive failure, memory failure, dirt-dust-lint in cooling fan, or other hardware failures can be causes of this problem. It can take some time to track it down... Also can be an infestation, bad cable to power block, damaged connector or socket, or defective CMOS battery. Sometimes, the screen inverter causes this when it goes bad... have you had any flickering or darkening of images on the screen.

First, try to start in <SAFE MODE>

If you can, go to Start->Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager and look for red, yellow, or black flags by any of the devices listed... that will give you a clue as to where to start.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-shutting-down.148472/
Relevancy 43.43%

my acer laptop keeps cutting out completely (turning off)
i do not think it is a overheating problem as it happens within no more than 15 minutes after turning on and does not feel hot.

any ideas please?
i need it to work quick - i have coursework due in!!!!

I put this in your own thread. When you have a problem, please start your own thread rather than posting on someone else's thread. The reason for this is that with one problem per thread it is difficult to follow what has/has not been done. With two or more problems per thread, it becomes impossible.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-shutting-down.774594/
Relevancy 43.43%

Can anybody advise if this is normal?

Had laptop 3 years and last 2 nights its shut down by itself. I switch it back on and its fine but obviously its very annoying and worrying.

A:Laptop shutting down on own

Hi have you cleaned out any dust or debris fron the airvents and fan with a can of compressed air,have you run your anti virus and malware scanners to check for any issue there,do you use it on your lap,bed,couch

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-shutting-down-on-own-570853.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hey guys,
I made a post about this problem last night but I had a new idea and wanted your opinion. Basically my laptop shut down one day after I bought it and now turns off at random times (sometimes after 5 mins, sometimes 30, sometimes it won't turn on at all). Now I assumed it was a motherboard problem, but I've heard people have a lot of issues with RAM on notebooks. The actually light that drops out when it dies or won't turn on is the 'disk' light and the power and monitor don't turn off for maybe another 30 seconds after. I was just wondering if this is possible (i.e. for RAM problems to cause this) or whether I'm just clutching here. Acer or the distributor should fix it either way, but this would be a quicker and easier fix hopefully.

Its less likely, but theoretically possible, along with 1,042 other things.

Warranty call is essential without any DIY attempts!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-shutting-down.698464/
Relevancy 43.43%

I have a Toshiba laptop and it keeps shutting off every few minutes I've researched a bit and found that these laptops have an overheating problem and I have it shutting Laptop down keeps on a fan so I don't think that's the problem This problem comes and goes and I'm wondering now if it might be due to some virus I tried to follow the directions for what I should do prior to posting a hijackthis log but my computer won't stay on long enough to do that Here is my result log from the hijackthis analyzer Any help advice would be appreciated Log was analyzed using KRC HijackThis Analyzer - Updated on Get updates at http www greyknight com download htm programs Security Programs Detected C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgamsvr exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe O - BHO SpywareGuard Download Protection - A E - F- - B - B DDD DB - C Program Files SpywareGuard dlprotect dll O - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe STARTUP O - Service AVG Alert Manager Server Avg Alrt - GRISOFT s r o - C PROGRA Grisoft Laptop keeps shutting down AVGFRE avgamsvr exe O - Service AVG Update Service Avg UpdSvc - GRISOFT s r o - C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgupsvc exe Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C Laptop keeps shutting down Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files ewido security suite ewidoctrl exe C hj HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http www toshiba com search R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www my yahoo com O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - Extra button no name - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin npjpi dll O - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Sun Java Console - B E C - FCB- CF-AAA - C - C Program Files Java jre bin npjpi dll O - Extra 'Tools' menuitem Yahoo Messenger - BBE - E - D -AD - D AD - C Program Files Yahoo Messenger yhexbmes dll O - DPF E E - AF- - C -A ADCBF BD HouseCall Control - http housecall trendmicro com housecall xscan cab O - DPF D BDCE-D - D -BF - EA E BlueStream Flash Class - http www rovion com Controls Rovio ffiliate fox O - DPF BC F - A - D -BEB - AA B AE Symantec AntiVirus scanner - http security symantec com sscv S in AvSniff cab O - DPF CF - F A- B-A -FD C C F Blockwerx Control - http mirror worldwinner com games blockwerx cab O - DPF B-B - D-A D -FCFDF E C WUWebControl Class - http v windowsupdate microsoft co O - DPF E F- D - A - DD -E EEEC Symantec RuFSI Utility Class - http security symantec com sscv S bin cabsa cab O - DPF E A- D- EE - C-DC FA D FC MUWebControl Class - http update microsoft com microsof O - DPF D D - - D -BDCD- C F A B HouseCall Control - http a g akamai net ll xscan cab O - DPF EB FF E- A - - D- BA D CB F-Secure Online Scanner - http support f-secure com ols fscax cab O - DPF D -D E - D -BE B- B BDE CamImage Class - http traf murfreesborotn gov acti CamControl cab O - DPF A A - DA - DAF-B - F E E ActiveScan Installer Class - http www pandasoftware com activescan as asinst cab O - DPF B C - - - - DFBD F IWinAmpActiveX Class - http cdn digitalcity com radio amp en dl cab O - DPF D A-B A- C C-AEA - B A DFCB iTunesDetector Class - http ax phobos apple com edgesuite ITDetector cab O - DPF F E CEF-A - C -BA E- CAF EE C MSN Chat Control - http chat msn com bin msnchat cab O - Service ewido security suite control - ewido networks - C Program Files ewido security suite ewidoctrl exe O - Service InstallDriver Table Manager IDriverT - Macrovision Corporation - C Program Files Common Files InstallShield Driver Intel IDriverT exe O - Service IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service ImapiService - Roxio Inc - C WINDOWS System ImapiRox exe O - Service iPodService - Apple Computer Inc - C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe End of KRC HijackThis Analyzer Log

Is this laptop new to you? Is the issue recent or ongoing?

I know this seems oversimplified, but have you checked the power saving settings? Laptops are set up to shut down swiftly if left unused for even a few minutes.

Start>Control Panel>Power Options>Power Schemes

There are several to choose from, the default in most has a short time before it shuts down. Check your setting.

Is the laptop's own fan blowing warm air out of the case?

If this is not the issue, as I'm not seeing anything in that log, it may be difficult to check with most of our scanners, as they take some length of time.

Here is one scanner which takes a short time to run, although it sees different things than an online virus scan would:

Download StartDreck http://www.greyknight17.com/spy/StartDreck.zip

Unzip to its own folder and start the program:
Press 'Config'
Press 'mark all'

Uncheck the following boxes only:
System/Running Process -> List Modules
System/Drivers -> NT Services
System/Drivers -> NT Kernel- and FS-drivers
Press 'OK'

Press 'Save' and select the location to save the log file (default is the same folder as the application)

Post the log in this thread.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/laptop-keeps-shutting-down-75826.html
Relevancy 43.43%

From time to time when powering down my Laptop (Dell Inspiron 17) , the two blue lights in front remain on & I need to take out the battery
I would like to know what is possibly causing this and how I can get it corrected

A:Shutting own Laptop

Fast Startup maybe?

Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/41521-shutting-own-laptop.html
Relevancy 43.43%

I've tried to keep my drive clean by running scans. The last couple of weeks my laptop has just been turning off on it's own. I tried to run Avast earlier and it shut down while I was running it. I did run spybot last week and cleaned up the stuff it found. I don't know if this is some type of hardware issue or if I might be infected with something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Debbie

A:laptop shutting down on it's own

Does the laptop feel hotter than normal? Does the fan seem louder than normal? You can try purchasing a can of compressed air and stick the nozzel in all of the vents and blow out the lint build-up If you use Spybot's Teatimer function, disable it for now------------------------------The process of cleaning your computer may require you to temporarily disable some security programs. If you are using SpyBot Search and Destroy, please refer to Note 2 at the bottom of this page.Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.alternate download link 1alternate download link 2Make sure you are connected to the Internet.Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:Update Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareLaunch Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareThen click Finish.MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself.Press the OK button to close that box and continue.If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.On the Scanner tab:Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.Then click on the Scan button.If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button. The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.Back at the main Scanner screen:Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.Note:-- If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you may be asked to reboot your computer so it can proceed with the disinfection process. Regardless if prompted to restart the computer or not, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware. Note 2:-- MBAM may make changes to your registry as part of its disinfection routine. If you're using other security programs that detect registry changes (like Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere with the fix or alert you after scanning with MBAM. Please disable such programs until disinfection is complete or permit them to allow the changes. To disable these programs, please view this topic: How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/216454/laptop-shutting-down-on-its-own/
Relevancy 43.43%

i was sitting in bed trying to get into game servers on world of warcraft and my computer just shuts off randomly nor error message or anything. this isnt the 1st time it happend the 1st time my computer got really hot so i thot that was it, well no my computer wasnt hot this time so it hink its somthing else. also the time after that when it shut down the power wasnt plugged in so i thought it could have been it draind the battery, nope it just shut down on me 5 mins ago.

i ran a disk check the other day and it froze on stage 5 at 55% i tried it again, same thing. also no viruses i ran a scan, and no new installed programs

sorry about the length i jsut thoguht it would help if you knew what i was doing at the time

A:laptop help plz, it keeps shutting down

Try letting disk check run overnight. Sometimes it can take a long time.Also, blow out the vents of your laptop with compressed air to make sure they aren't choked with dust, which could cause overheating. Putting your laptop on a soft surface, such as a bed, can also cause overheating if airflow to the vents is restricted.Have a look in the Event Viewer for any errors at the time of the shut down.To open the Event Viewer go to Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer. Alternately, go to Start > Run and type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter.Check in all the categories.If you find an error that occurred at the time right-click on it and select properties. Copy the information in the window and post it back here. This will help us diagnose your problem.How To Use the Event Viewer

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/232673/laptop-help-plz-it-keeps-shutting-down/
Relevancy 43%

Hi, my sister has a Sony Vaio laptop running XP Home and she is having problems with it shutting down on its own while she's using it. Does anyone know what might cause that?

Relevancy 43%

im running windows xp media edition on a laptop these are some error messeges i got from event viewer computer is shutting off on own side by side generate activation context failed for c windows winsxs x microsoft vc mfcside by side resolve partial assembly failed for microsoft vc mfclocdcom serveroh heres the highjthis logLogfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWSSystem smss exeC WINDOWSsystem winlogon exeC WINDOWSsystem services exeC WINDOWSsystem lsass exeC WINDOWSsystem svchost exeC WINDOWSSystem svchost exeC Program Off Laptop Byself Shutting FilesVerizonVerizon Internet Security SuiteFws exeC WINDOWSsystem spoolsv exeC Program FilesCommon FilesAuthentiumAntiVirusdvpapi exeC WINDOWSeHomeehRecvr exeC WINDOWSeHomeehSched exeC WINDOWSsystem inetsrvinetinfo exeC Program FilesCAPPRTbinITMRTSVC exeC WINDOWSsystem lxczcoms exeC WINDOWSsystem nvsvc exeC Program FilesRaxcoPerfectDiskPDAgent exeC Program FilesCommon FilesNew BoundaryPrismXLPRISMXL SYSC WINDOWSsystem rpcnet exeC WINDOWSSystem snmp exeC WINDOWSsystem svchost exeC WINDOWSsystem mqsvc exeC WINDOWSsystem mqtgsvc exeC Program Laptop Shutting Off Byself FilesRaxcoPerfectDiskPDEngine exeC WINDOWSsystem dllhost Laptop Shutting Off Byself exeC WINDOWSExplorer EXEC WINDOWSehomeehtray exeC Program FilesVerizonVSPVerizonServicepoint exeC WINDOWSsystem rundll exeC WINDOWSAGRSMMSG exeC Program FilesVerizonMcciTrayApp exeC WINDOWSsystem ctfmon exeC Program FilesAdobeAcrobat Readerreader sl exeC Program FilesLimeWireLimeWire exeC WINDOWSeHomeehmsas exeC WINDOWSsystem wuauclt exeC Program FilesInternet Exploreriexplore exeC Program FilesCommon Laptop Shutting Off Byself FilesMicrosoft SharedWindows LiveWLLoginProxy exeC Program FilesMySpaceIMMySpaceIM exeC Program FilesMySpaceIMMySpaceIM exeC Program FilesTrend MicroHijackThisHijackThis exeR - HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain Default Page URL http www yahoo comR - HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain Default Search URL http us rd yahoo com customize ie defaul www yahoo comR - HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain Search Bar http us rd yahoo com customize ie defaul rch search htmlR - HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain Search Page http us rd yahoo com customize ie defaul www yahoo comR - HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftInternet ExplorerMain Start Page http www yahoo comR - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program FilesYahoo CompanionInstallscpnyt dllO - BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - C Program FilesYahoo CompanionInstallscpnyt dllO - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program FilesAdobeAcrobat ActiveXAcroIEHelper dllO - BHO Pop-Up Blocker BHO - C EA -E A - E -A -D B C A - C Program FilesVerizonVerizon Internet Security SuitepkR dllO - BHO Yahoo IE Services Button - BAB B B- BC- B - D - FC DE A - C Program FilesYahoo Commonyiesrvc dllO - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program FilesCommon FilesMicrosoft SharedWindows LiveWindowsLiveLogin dllO - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program filesgooglegoogletoolbar dllO - BHO Windows Live Toolbar Helper - BDBD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program FilesWindows Live Toolbarmsntb dllO - BHO Browser Address Error Redirector - CA C - B - E-A -A C DB F - c windowssystem BAE dllO - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program filesgooglegoogletoolbar dllO - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program FilesYahoo CompanionInstallscpnyt dllO - Toolbar Windows Live Toolbar - BDAD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program FilesWindows Live Toolbarmsntb dllO - HKLM Run ehTray C WINDOWSehomeehtray exeO - HKLM Run VerizonServicepoint exe quot C Program FilesVerizonVSPVerizonServicepoint exe quot AUTORUNO - HKLM R... Read more

A:Laptop Shutting Off Byself

Hello there and welcome to BleepingComputer. My name is Charles and I will be dealing with your log today. As you can probably see our HijackThis Team is incredibly busy at the moment, but I apologise for the delay you have experienced. If you are still having problems please post a brand new HijackThis log as a reply to this topic. Before posting the log, please make sure you follow all the steps found in this topic:Preparation Guide For Use Before Posting A HijackThis LogThanks,Charles

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/136925/laptop-shutting-off-byself/
Relevancy 43%

Hello out there,

I have a Toshiba Satellite A100 series Laptop that keeps shutting off when windows starts. I am able to log in through safe mode and safe mode with network. But whenever I let the system start normally it shuts off. I have recently changed the battery. I got my new battery fully charged and had no problems starting the computer. I turned the computer on using battery power only and it worked till it ran out of juice. But again it has reverted to shutting off when I log into my account and I can't seem to charge the battery back up or get any power from the power supply.

Is this a connection problem with my power supply or is something wrong with my motherboard?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

A:Laptop shutting off suddenly

Ok. New information. Looks like if I start my system with the AC power only, it works. But if I start my system with battery then it shuts off and I cant get it to power up at all. Seems like there was a short and the system needs to wait a few minutes to re-boot. That's how I see it not what it's actually happening.
If I start my laptop with only AC power and log in and then put the battery in, I can disconnect the AC and the battery takes over and everything is fine. I know it's bad to connect the battery once the system is on, but that's the only way I found it would work.

Any thoughts?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-shutting-off-suddenly.148580/
Relevancy 43%

Hi, I own a Dell Inspiron laptop. Recently it keeps on shutting down every time I try to run my laptop, randomly.. Some times it shuts down during the Windows loading screen, sometimes on startup, sometimes during logon screen..and so on I tried turning on without the battery connected to see if it was the issue of the battery but didn't help, then tried blowing air on the ariels to see if it was heating issue but didn't same didn't help .. I havent used any malicious software or opened up malicious sites lately I have updated my os which is win 7 to it's latest version, have got an antivirus, didn't show any virus lately. Any help would be appreciated very much..

A:Laptop keeps shutting down randomly.

How old is the laptop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-keeps-shutting-down-randomly.177361/
Relevancy 43%

We have a Asus K Jc running Windows Home Premium x I started getting complaints that the laptop would randomly shut down I took a look at it and found that the fan was seized Laptop issue & shutting off fan not and not cooling down the laptop I ordered in a new fan and replaced it The new fan works wonderfully the only issue is that is seems to run full Laptop not shutting off & fan issue blast almost the entire time I installed speedfan and it says that the fan Laptop not shutting off & fan issue is running at about RPM This starts with the little Windows flag when the operating system boots up and continues this way the entire time I checked the task manager and not much is running CPU usage is very normal nothing high Also the temperatures reported are low as well The heat-sink was cleaned when I replaced the fan so this is not the problem either Another issue I Laptop not shutting off & fan issue noticed after replacing the fan is that the laptop does not power off completely when Windows is shutdown If I press the shutdown button on the start menu it goes through the motions of shutting down yet the fan keeps turning and the activity indicator buttons keep blinking The only way to turn everything off right now is to press the button in for a few seconds until everything shuts off Pressing restart works fine though -I ran windows updates and installed the updates -updated the BIOS to the latest version -booted up in safe mode and then shut down from there no difference

A:Laptop not shutting off & fan issue

Have you tried opening into safe mode and running a deep AV and Malware scan?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/296792-laptop-not-shutting-off-fan-issue.html
Relevancy 43%

log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v BETA Scan saved at hijackthis off help. shutting log keeps laptop PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe hijackthis log help. laptop keeps shutting off C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG mdm exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files CyberLink Shared Files RichVideo exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe C Program Files Macrogaming SweetIM SweetIM exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exe C Program Files MSN Messenger usnsvc exe C Documents and Settings God Desktop HiJackThis v exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www techsupportforum com secu this-log-help R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - URLSearchHook SweetIM For Internet Explorer - BC FFE -DE F- fa-B -AAD B F - C Program Files Macrogaming SweetIMBarForIE toolbar dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO SWEETIE - A AADCD- A - b f- F-E BB A E A - C PROGRA MACROG SWEETI toolbar dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C PROGRA MICROS Office GRA E DLL O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar SweetIM For Internet Explorer - BC FFE -DE F- fa-B -AAD B F - C Program Files Macrogaming SweetIMBarForIE toolbar dll O - HKLM Run SynTPLpr C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run GrooveMonitor quot C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe quot O - HKLM Run SweetIM C Program Files Macrogaming SweetIM SweetIM exe O - HKCU Run swg C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe O - HKCU Run MsnMsgr quot C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe quot background O - HKCU Run SweetIM C Program Files Macrogaming SweetIM SweetIM exe O - HKCU Run Yahoo Pager quot C Program Files Yahoo Messenger YahooMessenger exe quot -quiet O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS Office EXCEL EXE O - Extra button Send to OneNote - A- - f c- - EE C C - C PROGRA MICROS Office ONBttnIE dll O - Extra 'Tools' menuitem S amp end to OneNote - A- - f c- - EE C C - C PROGRA MICROS Office ONBttnIE dll O - Extra button Research - B - CC- C -B BE- C C A - C PROGRA MICROS Office REFIEBAR DLL O - Extra button no name - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe file missing O - Extra 'Tools' menuitem xpsp res dll - - e e dd -d - - b -f ba - windir Network Diagnostic xpnetdiag exe file missing O - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C ... Read more

Relevancy 43%

I've got my laptop set up to warn me when it's got a charge left and go into hibernation at and usually that's no problem But lately it's been abruptly shutting off Laptop shutting at charge down 50% when I Laptop shutting down at 50% charge should have a couple hours left on it When Laptop shutting down at 50% charge I plug it back in and turn it on- it shuts off and doesn't go into hibernation -I immediately check the battery status and it's always between - Laptop shutting down at 50% charge depending on how long start-up took I try to turn it back on after it dies without plugging it in but it acts like it's completely dead and won't even pretend to turn on I have an HP g- Pavilion and I already know that they like to overheat I killed my last battery by letting my computer overheat to the point I could only use it like a desktop until I was able to order a new battery they're too expensive for me to just up and buy one But since then I always use one of those lap-fan things that the laptop sits on I always use the fan when it gets warm and that always cools it down so I know how to keep the laptop cool That's definitely not it What's happening to my computer

A:Laptop shutting down at 50% charge

This happens because your battery is giving incorrect information about its remaining charge to your computer. Don't worry, this is a pretty common thing with batteries that have been in use for a while. Their performance degrades aswell as their capacity. Your battery is the culprit, not your laptop.

Replacing the battery will probably fix your problem.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/66134-laptop-shutting-down-50-charge.html
Relevancy 43%

I have a toshiba laptop which was working fine but then suddenly it just turned off. Everytime I boot it up after about 15 minutes it automatically switches off. I've tried taking out the battery but it keeps turning off.

Does anybody know if this is a virus or a problem with the hardware.

Thanks.

A:My laptop keeps shutting down randomly?

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Please download this program here: CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

Post back with a screenshot of the program.

Does the computer turn off with just the power cable? or just the battery?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/my-laptop-keeps-shutting-down-randomly-652131.html
Relevancy 43%

I have an Asus K V series laptop - with an I m CPU and Nvidia m GPU The laptop is around two years old and I have a friend who has had the exact same laptop for the same amount of time Around one year ago the laptop began to shut down randomly I e no indication of it shutting down just a black screen as if you hold the power button down on a computer not press and release until it instantly shuts down Originally it did not shut down anymore than once every couple of months however now it has drastically increased In the UK unexpectedly keeps down shutting Laptop as it s summer it reached degrees celcius a few days ago the laptop shutting down about times that day I am certain it s not a software issue as I ve tried multiple system rollbacks all having no effect I Laptop keeps shutting down unexpectedly keep the laptop on a cooling pad I ve also downloaded two hardware temperature monitors Realtemp and HWMonitor the results of these show that when idle the laptop is around degrees Celsius On load games etc it can reach around Laptop keeps shutting down unexpectedly However what I don t understand is as I m monitoring the temperature idle and on load when it was degrees it shut down but when it reached it did not The shut downs occur mainly at mid day when the room is hottest and less frequently when I have not been using it for a while I keep the laptop s software and hard drives etc maintained defraggs disk cleanups antivirus checks malware checks - so I m positive it isn t a software issue As there s a strong correlation between the temperature now that it s summer and the shutting down it leads me to believe it s an over heating problem Any help greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Laptop keeps shutting down unexpectedly

Yes laptops are more prone to have over-heating issues than desktop computers. After a time, the laptop's cooling ports may let in dust and dirt clogging these ports, and heat may cause drying out the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU causing them to over-heat

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-keeps-shutting-down-unexpectedly.216249/
Relevancy 43%

Hi. Every night I close my laptop before going to bed. And some mornings I wake up, and open my laptop, only to find out that it has shut itself down while I was sleeping, and now windows wants me to send an error report. This has been getting rather annoying, so I thought I'd post here and see if anyone can guess what the problem is, or give me some way to troubleshoot it, or something. I really don't know what other information to give, so, if anyone wants to help, i'll give you whatever information you might need upon request. Thanks.

A:Laptop Shutting Down During Hibernation?

When you are Hibernating, it is effectively shutting off the PC or Laptop. You mean, the system is crashing right in the middle of a Hibernation operation? Need some clarification here, Hibernation saves ALL of your open processes and files and then shuts down your puter, when you open it back up, it goes right back to where you were before you Hibernated. But Hibernation is a complete shut-off, it is not a "low power" mode. If you are talking about Standby, well, Standby has never worked right form Windows since Windows ME. But Hibernation works well. So, are you telling your system to Hibernate when the lid is closed? That mans it is powering OFF. If you are telling it to Stand-By when the lid is closed, that's a Standby mode. Standby mode has always been unstable in Windows systems, but should work right if you have all of the best Drivers installed for your Chipset.

I have Three Windows 8 Installs and they all Hibernate fine. Depending on if you upgraded your Laptop to Win 8 or bought it that way, you might have to download Windows 8 Drivers for your Power Block, AHCI, etc. Install the current version of Aida64, and find your Motherboard make, then look it up and find if there are any new Power drivers for it. It's a Program like Speccy, which reads your system and tells you what you have under the hood, but unlike Speccy, it actually identifies each piece of Hardware, including if it is not installed properly on the OS, this way you can look up the drivers and find the right one.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/23614-laptop-shutting-down-during-hibernation.html
Relevancy 43%

Hi, Im new to this site and wondered if someone can diagnose a problem for me?

I have a Toshiba Satellite A30-514 laptop and recently it keeps on shutting down without warning, the fan kicks in (quite loudly) and then total loss of power. It comes back on as soon as i press the on button and it doesnt feel too hot. I would really appreciate somebody shedding some light on this for me.

A:HELP - My laptop keeps shutting down for no reason

maybe

I don't know much about laptops, but on a desktop, those symptoms would lead me to suspect overheating, esp. the processor. Does your CPU have thermal sensing/protection? My P4 will shut the system down if it gets too hot.

That's just an idea- wait for someone with more laptop smarts to show up.

Welcome to Tech Spot!! :wave: :giddy: :grinthumb

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-my-laptop-keeps-shutting-down-for-no-reason.44705/
Relevancy 43%

I have a brand new battery in an Acer travelmate 5720. It has a BRAND NEW battery in it. at 50% power, the laptop dies as if the battery is totally drained. Will not even post to bios. Just dead.
I adjusted the settings for the battery in windows to alert and shut down the computer at 50% to save whataver data is there, but this is not a good fix. There are no settings in the bios for adjusting the battery. What is going on in windows to cause this?
I've read thru the threads and saw a lot of people with this problem only to be told that it's their battery or the laptop, and blah blah blah. Anything but Windows 7. I'm going to insisit that this problem is definitely caused by windows.

A:win 7 shutting down laptop at 50% battery

yes I think alot of ppl here are backing up windows 7 but YES it is probably a windows 7 problem because ALOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT and when I say alot i mean thousands of ppl are saying it's a windows 7 problem because, most Battery problems occur AFTER the installation of windows 7, my problem is that it drains alot of power it use to have 3hrs battery life after installing windows 7 BAM! 15 mins of battery life it made my Laptop a Desktop computer now and I don't think it's when your computer is turned on because I also noticed that when my laptop is turned off and after like 8-10 hrs it would already be unable to boot up so now what i know is that It screws up battery life it's most likely NOT in the system but windows does something to the laptop's battery. a solution for the broken computer NONE
the solution GET A WINDOWS 7 LAPTOP THAT THE DEFAULT OS IS WINDOWS 7 thats the only fix available. this problem is very common AFTER the installation of windows 7 so I'm sorry microsoft but you kinda screwed up somewhere here

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/152135-win-7-shutting-down-laptop-50-battery.html
Relevancy 43%

I have an HP Laptop that is shutting down randomly. To test it, I have been running it 24/7, and it seems to shutdown on it's own maybe once every five days. After it shuts down, I can turn it back on immediately, and it will stay on, so I don't think it's a heat issue. I also noticed that when defragging, it seems to get stuck on some ADS files (C:\WINDOWS:$SDS:$DATA ?).

The laptop had several viruses, but they have all been removed (but ya never know...).

Any suggestions on how to diagnose this? It's very difficult, since it's so hard to duplicate the problem.

Justin

A:laptop shutting down randomly

It could be anything at all causing that. Failing battery, hard drive, memory, any part of the motherboard, or any of a hundred other causes that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I think the first thing I would check would be the hard drive. Run a chkdsk on it from the command prompt just to see if it has any errors or bad sectors. If something shows up there, I'd start with that. If nothing shows in a simple chkdsk, take the drive out to get the manufacturer and then go to there web site and get their own drive testing software. Use their software to test your drive. If nothing comes of that either ........... your guess will be as good as anyone else as to what is causing it.

Sorry, but problems that are 5 days intermittent are very hard to nail down. You could check your Event Viewer before trying anything. It may show something in there. Go into Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Event Viewer. If you need help using the Event Viewer, go to the Action menu once you've opened the Viewer and click Help.

Good luck!!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/224343/laptop-shutting-down-randomly/
Relevancy 43%

Hi.

I installed XP Home on my Samsung NP-R20 Plus Laptop yesterday. I also went through my Device Manager and updated certain drivers.

Now when I restart or shutdown it will freeze when it says 'Windows is shutting down' after about 5 - 10 seconds of it first appearing.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

A:Laptop freezes when shutting down

Worth a look: http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.phpAs you can see...shutdown issues have many possible causes and resolutions.Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/250050/laptop-freezes-when-shutting-down/
Relevancy 43%

Hi My dell Inspiron n 5010 Shutting down while entering to BIOS and in F8(Diagnostic)..

A:Laptop Shutting Down in BIOS

Assuming it is connected to AC power (to eliminate a battery issue), it sounds like a hardware fault. Power Supply or motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-shutting-down-in-bios.1114660/
Relevancy 43%

A few days ago I noticed that every time I tried to wake my laptop, instead of it lighting up and bringing all the active programs up, it is booting up.

I tested it by simply clicking the "sleep" option and it instead simply shut down.

I'm running Windows 8.1

Any suggestions on where to start?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/601092/laptop-shutting-down-instead-of-sleeping/
Relevancy 43%

Hello, I'm using windows XP right and my laptop shuts down pretty often and pretty randomly. The screen sort of flickers and all the windows either go haywire and start opening and closing on their own or the windows just freeze up. either way it shuts down immediately after that and i have to start it again.

Anybody has any ideas as to what could be wrong? software or hardware problem? Thanks!

A:Laptop Shutting down all the time

I would be inclined to check how much video ram is allocated. I say this because you say ALL THE WINDOWS , so I am assuming you have several programmes running.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/laptop-shutting-down-all-the-time-190500.html
Relevancy 43%

for some reason or another my laptop acts like it crashed and the power stays on and then I have to force the power to go off and when I turn it back on it comes back on and then it says that I got the blue screen on the error and when I try to check for a solution it doesn't show me any solution whatsoever, this has happened to me 3 times since Saturday, any solution that I can use to stop this from happening because my computer is no longer under warranty and I can't afford to replace the hard drive and I just had the hard drive replaced back in April because it crashed and I most certainly can't afford a new computer

A:laptop shutting off without warning

Sounds to me like it could be faulty power supply and or power management. If you can; can you upload the logs from the event viewer so we can have a look?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/317611-laptop-shutting-off-without-warning.html
Relevancy 43%

My Acer Aspire 7720-6569 has recently started to power off suddenly after 20-30 min. Always shuts down when watching videos, U-tube, e-mail videos, etc. Any solutions??

A:Acer laptop shutting down

Does the fan work? Can you feel air blowing out of the vents when it's on?
Have you tried using canned air to blow out the vents? DON'T use an air compressor or a vacuum as they can damage laptop components.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/acer-laptop-shutting-down-497364.html
Relevancy 43%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit, Toshiba Satellite A665 series
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3890 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1721 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 463566 MB, Free - 282592 MB;
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, NWQAA
Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Frontier Secure, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware

So my computer keeps shutting down. I just bought a replacement battery for my computer so I don't think it's a battery issue. Similarly, my AC power adapter is still able to charge my computer.

I don't use up a lot of memory either. I ran my virus protection software and it said that my computer was clean. Additionally, my computer doesn't seem to be overheated and there's nothing blocking the fan.

Any suggestions for narrowing down the problem? It started a few days ago.

Relevancy 43%

Problem started within the last month and I've had this laptop for almost 2 years. About a month ago, I noticed my laptop was very sensitive to movement. If I moved the laptop around, a lot of times it would just turn off. Sometimes static lines would appear across the screen and freeze the computer until I manually turned it off and sometimes the computer would just turn off itself. Yesterday, for the first time, the laptop randomly shut down while I was browsing the internet and plugged in to charger. Today the same thing happened three times. The laptop is not overheating and I am unsure what is causing this problem.
Sometimes, I will also get a memory management BSOD, but mostly it's just random shutdowns. Any ideas?

SPECS:
Laptop is Acer Aspire V3-571G-6602
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 630m
CPU: Intel Core i5 2450m
Windows 7 64bit

A:Laptop randomly shutting off

Hi have you tried running any diagnostics like memtest 86 + on your ram or furmark on the graphics

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/laptop-randomly-shutting-off-822498.html
Relevancy 43%

My friend is having a really hard time with his laptop, It is shutting down without warning, mostly when downloading and when he is on msn or opening an application. He gets the msg 'FILE DETECT...' but the system shuts down before he can read the msg. the machine is running slow. He has tried to scan for viruses but the machine shuts down before the scan can complete, he cannot boot into safe mode and cannot boot from the CD! Is it a lost cause???

A:Laptop Shutting Down Without Warning! Please Help

Try disabling the automatic reboot to see if you can read the entire error message.How to Disable Automatic Reboot Option

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/94171/laptop-shutting-down-without-warning-please-help/
Relevancy 43%

Hi, my dell 6400 is shutting off while it's starting up. To describe with a bit more detail:

it's on the windows xp loading screen, then the 'blue screen of death' very quickly flashes up before it goes black, followed by the "we apologise for the inconvenience, but windows did not start successfully......."

safe mode
safe mode with networking
safe .....

Last known good config...

etc

My best guess as to what has caused the problem (im no expert) is an external hardrive (from china) which i used yesterday and i left it connected while i switched the laptop off. I've hardly used it since i got it and when i have done, i have safely removed it before the laptop was switched off. This is only time i have done that since i got it and it just seems like too much of a coincidence.

Any ideas would be great, thanks.

A:My laptop is shutting down while loading up

Try uninstalling the drivers for the external hard drive, was it running fine before you connected this hard drive?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-laptop-is-shutting-down-while-loading-up-328760.html
Relevancy 43%

Please help!
I'm not sure exactly what you need.
I have a toshiba laptop, satellite model, and it will shut down while I am working online, there is no warning, and it is happening more and more.
Also, some internet sites will work fine, then others will display "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage". If I click several times, then it will come up, but other sites will work fine.
I have ran Malwarebytes and it does not find anything.
Can you please help?
Thanks

Relevancy 43%

Hi,

I just performed a PC Recovery on my friends Compaq laptop with Windows XP Media Center Edition and now after installing Framework, Java, FlashPlayer, AntiVirus and a webbrowser etc I have this problem...

When I hit Start --> Shutdown the laptop just freezes for about one to two minutes. I can still move the cursor but I can't do anyting. When it gets back I get the normal Shutdown and Log off window, I hit Shutdown. It just completely freezes at this stage and refuses to shutdown, it just says "Shutting down Windows".

What is this all about?

Thanks!

A:Laptop freezes when shutting down!

here are some liknks i hope will help you.
Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooter

Troubleshooting Windows XP Shutdown Issues

WinXP Shutdown and Restart Troubleshooting

You may also want to check the event viewer for any errors

How To Use the Event Viewer Applet
How To Use Event Viewer
How to view and manage event logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/laptop-freezes-when-shutting-down-592137.html
Relevancy 43%

Hello So lately I have been having lots of trouble with my Compaq Presario Cq WM laptop computer which i bought from a few years back Up till now the laptop has been working fine until around a month ago So within the past month the laptop has gotten BSOD Now that s not the only problem recently it has been shutting down randomly when using it for normal web browsing activities No gaming no extreme applications nothing that would put the cpu and gpu at high loads I realised that it shut down more frequently and that this could possibly be a cause of overheating issue So I bought it a cool master cooling pad which did not solve the problem Even after it would shut down I thought that maybe the heat sink is clogged with dust and maybe we needed reapply fresh thermal paste as it had been stock thermal paste ever since I got it I opened the laptop up and disassembled the heatsink cleaned all the dust off the mobo and cleaned the heatsink very thoroughly Wiped off all the gunk thermal paste thermal paste had gotten very hard and applied fresh Artic silver thermal paste to both the CPU and GPU Reassembled it and it would still get very hot with the cooling pad turned on and Solved: Laptop down shutting I downloaded an Solved: Laptop shutting down application to check the CPU and GPU temps and they were at a sky rocketing c when simply browsing the internet Also I thought it would be a good idea to run a memtest test to make sure the ram isn t faulty Very strangely I ran memtest with both sticks of ram times and every time it would shut down at around Then I tested stick by stick Both sticks worked just fine on the bottom bank but when I put one of the sticks on the top bank it shut down Now I m not sure if this is being caused by overheating or faulty ram I have done everything to my knowledge and I am stumped as to what is Solved: Laptop shutting down causing these shut downs I am sure it is caused by the overheat however there is not much I can do to solve it I have applied new thermal paste cleaned all the dust in the system bought a cooling pad Almost everything recommended What should I do Any help would be grateful Update I wanted to make sure that when I tested the top bank with the ram stick the computer was not overheating So i left the computer aside for a few hours and let it fully cool down and retested it with the stick of ram and again when it got to in memtest the laptop shut down However when i tested the other stick of ram on the top bank right after the first one shut down it passed The same stick of ram that shut down on the top bank worked just fine on the bottom However the other stick worked fine on the bottom and top banks I am soooo confused as to what the problem is caused by nbsp

Relevancy 43%

I just down of shutting restarts Laptop instead spoke to my daughter at college who is having trouble with her Acer laptop running XP SP Intel Celleron GB RAM and using Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite When she clicks quot shut down quot the laptop appears to shut down but then restarts quot Restart quot is not selected I did a Google search and found a known problem with Roxio Easy CD Creator and with Direct CD but as best I can tell she has neither program installed she looked in quot Laptop restarts instead of shutting down programs quot folder and in control panel under quot add and remove programs quot and couldn t find either listed I also had her right click quot my computer quot quot properties quot quot advanced quot quot startup and recovery - settings quot and uncheck the quot automatically restart quot box in quot system failure quot section But her laptop still restarts at shutdown Any suggestions She s away at college so I m going to have to try to help her remotely - so it may be a slow process getting answers back to you Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 43%

Screen keeps shutting down - Help Hello shutting laptop Help! screen down - keeps all I just obtained a Compaq Armada PII laptop computer running XP and I keep experiencing this unusual phenomenon of the screen simply blanking and shutting off The computer seems to continue running normally i e when I m watching a DVD I can laptop screen keeps shutting down - Help! still hear it playing I ve tried adjusting all the display and power settings so I m pretty sure that the problem lies elsewhere ------------------ A few curious points Initially this quot blanking quot of the screen was occuring in fifteen minute intervals now it s happening every minutes this would lead one to think it is the settings On occasion this computer has a tendency to quot time out quot in which case I have to unplug its C-mos battery for about one minute plug it in again and then restart the computer This seems unrelated to the screen problem however My keypad retains it functionality i e I can hear beeps when I press the keys during a quot blank screen period quot yet neither striking the keys or the touchpad has any affect on the display The laptop appears to be continuing normal operations I can hear the fan and the hard-drive working I can hit either the quot suspend quot or power button on the laptop to shut the unit down Restarting with the suspend button brings the computer back to its previous state for instance where the DVD left off If I am continuously using the laptop i e creating a document it laptop screen keeps shutting down - Help! stays on One question for all of you Is XP too cumbersome for a PII If so would I be better off running or What about Linux Well I guess that s it Any help would be most appreciated since this has rendered my computer all but unusable Regards John nbsp

A:laptop screen keeps shutting down - Help!

Try to disable any power managment feature, like stand by...
Also test in safe mode and VGA mode to see if issue is persists.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-screen-keeps-shutting-down-help.217552/
Relevancy 43%

Hi everyone Working on a Gateway laptop running windows XP home It is SO slow it won't connect to the user's home DSL connection and now she is getting returned e-mails of things she didn't send out This started over the weekend when the computer took about minutes to turn on - it would show the desktop without the icons on it One day it just shut off on her - it took her to Shutting Down Laptop Slow And the screen where you can change to safe mode or regular start up then it would show the Gateway logo then a blue screen she didn't write down that error message then a windows screen then back to the black screen It did that a few times Also before she brought it to me she ran the spybot S amp D scan and it stopped in the middle and said it couldn't continue because it said something about quot Laptop Shutting Down And Slow Virtual Bouncer quot It didn't give you the option to remove it and it wouldn't scan any farther I've run a virus scan ad aware spybot S amp D Here is our HiJack This Log Thanks NikkiLogfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC Laptop Shutting Down And Slow WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXEC WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXEC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exeC Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exeC Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exeC Program Files Norton AntiVirus IWP NPFMntor exeC Program Files Common Files New Boundary PrismXL PRISMXL SYSC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exeC Program Files Venturi Client ventc exeC Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SpySweeper exeC Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exeC Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC Program Files QuickTime qttask exeC Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exeC Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exeC Program Files HP hpcoretech hpcmpmgr exeC Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SpySweeperUI exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files BigFix BigFix exeC Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqtra exeC Program Files MSN MSNCoreFiles msn exeC Program Files Webroot Spy Sweeper SSU EXEC Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeC Documents and Settings Owner My Documents My Downloads hijackthis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http g msn com SEENUS SAOS R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http vvmls com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localO - BHO Yahoo Companion BHO - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn ycomp dllO - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelp... Read more

A:Laptop Shutting Down And Slow

Hi! Was just hoping I could get some help with this HiJack this log. I would appreciate it. Thanks!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/81553/laptop-shutting-down-and-slow/
Relevancy 43%

I have a similar problem but only when the laptop is UNplugged I can run it and more when Shutting Off Acer Laptop it s plugged When it s unplugged I can t seem to do Acer Laptop Shutting Off anything with the laptop I barely have time to open my email or go on the net and it seems to shut down screen turns grey I have to manually press power off Acer Laptop Shutting Off then power on then usual quot windows didn Acer Laptop Shutting Off t shut down normally quot message and then everything is fine untill the next time in other words i cannot use it without a power cord any clue thank you More INFO Aspire bought the demo demo was not more than month old i ve had it for weeks legit Windows vista installed has had that problem since the st time i tried to use the NEW sealed battery Battery shows full charge when I unplug it power goes normally down slowly going down - - etc I even went down to lower than that ish but it will eventually get that grey screen shut down Longer Ive used it unplugged has been about hour however lately i cant use it more than mins unplugged Have tried replacing the battery Still has the same problem with another new sealed acer battery nbsp

A:Acer Laptop Shutting Off

Alex Ethridge said:

Be sure your fan is running and that the vents aren't obstructed. Sounds like a heat problem.Click to expand...

about mine, im pretty sure it's not a vent problem, fan is running well, and i don't have the problem when the cpu is plugged.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/acer-laptop-shutting-off.605442/
Relevancy 43%

Basically, I have a laptop that, whenever I play certain games, I get about ten minutes of game-play, then it just shuts down like I had held the power button for so long. would like an answer to the problem, as I'm getting guild wars 2 this Sunday and want it to be playable.
Games it has shut down on:
TF2
games that it hasn't shutdown on:
Diablo 3

specs
manufacturer: e-machines
model: eME732
processor: intel core i3 m 370 @2.4ghz
ram: 2GB or 2048mb
DirectX: 11

A:Having problems with my laptop shutting down

1 is your graphics card suitable for playing the games I would say on the said laptop go to google then type can you run it then click on link thise will take u to a site that will help determine the games you can play so once on there theres 2 drop down boxes in the 2nd box look for your games then click then after click on canurunit tab and wait then the system will tell you pass or fail and on what parts for instance it might say core i3 pass but on graphics it might say fail .. if passes on all then let us know and then can look further

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/having-problems-with-my-laptop-shutting-down.185935/
Relevancy 43%

I have a gateway M C laptop that s about years old It has windows XP pro Service Pack an intel celeron R processor at gHz MB of RAM and it s running right now at between and CPU and a commit charge M out of M I have minimal processes running in fact just the bare minimum to operate the computer AIM is open and my internet browser firefox I have a shutting Is overheating? my laptop because it's off cooling pad that s on right now and my Is my laptop shutting off because it's overheating? laptop fan is still running all the time and never stops I turn my computer off to let it rest but it shut off about minutes ago by itself Maybe because it overheated This hasn t happened to me since summer before I got the cooling pad and didn t happen again even after I stopped using said cooling pad until a few weeks ago Now even with the cooling pad on my laptop still shuts off possibly from overheating Someone suggested applying arctic silver on the CPU is that ok Are there any other possible issues What can I do to prevent this from happening in the future Is there a program I can download buy that tells me which processes I can eliminate close Will running my OS for optimal performance help Please don t tell me to get a mac as a solution nbsp

Relevancy 43%

Hello out there @ bleeping computer.
My laptop has a problem were it will just shut down and not start up again for a while. It had this problem last year and I sent it in for service. Then I got a chill pad for it, but it still acted up and I had to call HP for tech support. They walked me through it, but now my warranty is over, and I need some professional help. The other day it would lite up, but a black screen. My daughter finally pulled the battery, and at least the screen came back, but it cuts off on me at least 2 times a day now. Help

A:my laptop keeps shutting off, won;t restart eight away

The symptoms you describe could be symptomatic of a variety of things to include hardware/software issues, overheating caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing or underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, faulty or unsigned device drivers, CMOS battery going bad, BIOS and firmware problems, dirty hardware components, programs hanging or unresponsive in the background, and even malware. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to shutdown/restart on a more regular basis. If you're not finding any malware then its sounds like one of the latter problems.When was the last time you cleaned the inside of your computer? Dust restricts the airflow and prevents proper cooling. This in turn can cause overheating and faulty processor fans which can result in unexpected shutdowns, random restarts, booting problems, etc. If you use a notebook, they get dirty too and need to be cleaned.Clean out the vents on the computer with a can of compressed air to ensure that they are not clogged with dust.Unplug the computer, open the case and clean out any dust and debris you find inside. Be careful not to aim the compressed air directly at the circuit board or electronic components.Check all the electrical connections and make sure the fans are all operational.Remove the cards and RAM modules, clean the contacts and reseat them.Check the heat sink on the processor to ensure it is not blocked with dust or debris.Remove the CPU's cooling unit and clean the fins on the heat sink that sits under the CPU with a can of
compressed air.Feel the CPU heatsink when it powers down. It should be warm to very warm but not hot.Inspect the thermal compound between the CPU and heat sink as it can deteriorate over time so. You may need to remove it, scrape away the old thermal gel that makes contact with the processor, then apply a very thin coat of fresh thermal gel on the surface and fit the heat sink back in place again.Monitor the temperature of your CPU, motherboard, hard disks, voltages, and fan speeds.How to Clean a Computer Tutorials with Screeshots:Cleaning the Interior of your PCGetting The Grunge Out Of Your PCCuring Laptop OverheatingVideo: How to Clean your notebookHow to Clean Common Computer Parts and DevicesNote: Some video cards can generate such intense heat while playing games with high quality graphics that they require a separate cooling system. If the fan fails after wear and tear with age, the video processor will not be far behind and your system may start crashing.. If the video card needs replacing, see "Illustrated How to Replace an AGP Video Card".When Windows XP detects a problem from which it cannot recover, it displays Stop Error Messages which contain specific information that can help diagnose and resolve the problem detected by the Windows kernel. An error message can be related to a broad number of problems such as driver conflicts, hardware issues, read/write errors, and software malfunctions and malware. In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error or crash occurs. You may not see the error code because the computer reboots too fast. An easier alternative is to turn off the automatic reboot feature so you can actually see the error code/STOP Message when it happens - this is also known as the Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD). To change the recovery settings and Disable Automatic Rebooting, go to Start > Run and type: sysdm.cplClick Ok or just press WINKEY + Pause/Break keys to bring up System Properties.Go to the Advanced tab and under "Startup and Recovery", click on the "Settings" button and go to "System failure".Make sure "Write an event to the system log" is checked and that "Automatically restart" is unchecked.Click "OK" and reboot for the changes to take effect.Vista users can refer to these instructions: How To Disable the Automatic Restart on System Failure in Windows Vista.Doing this won't cure your problem but ... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/234794/my-laptop-keeps-shutting-off-won;t-restart-eight-away/
Relevancy 43%

It only turns on bout 5 seconds turns off and I got it to stay on longer than 5 seconds but now it's saying preparing auto repair and I don't know what that means please help I don't know what to do

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/My-HP-laptop-I-got-about-a-year-ago-keeps-shutting-off-on-me/td-p/5763012
Relevancy 43%

After working on laptop shutting randomly Laptop is down G62 HP for - minutes it shuts down in this interval nbsp Laptop HP G62 is shutting down randomly nbsp Last year I had this overheating issue but it laptop worked well after that accident I only got Laptop HP G62 is shutting down randomly alert message at start You should consider replacing your battery Three months ago it started to failure after minutes and that nbsp shut down time was degrading nbsp over the time I brought laptop to nbsp repairman and I think he cleaned dust from the inside and fixed inside charger slot place Laptop HP G62 is shutting down randomly where I put my charger nbsp Problem continues and I bought new batteries and it still pisses me of by doing that same And interesting fact is that when I don't turn on PC for days it can hold longer let's say minutes But everytime it shuts down I have to wait - hours to charge it back for minutes nbsp I hope I explained well this problem Should I throw this lapatop or it has chance to get fix and live once again

A:Laptop HP G62 is shutting down randomly

Hi @ unicorn_dancer_, Thanks for being a part of the HP community. It is a great place to get your questions answered by experts. I saw your post regarding the notebook?s battery not holding any charge and degrading over time.  You have also swapped it out new batteries. It was commendable on your part to also get the charging port checked.  The issue may be hardware related. It could be battery controllers on the motherboard that charge the battery that could be the culprit or it could be a faulty motherboard. You could try a different charger if you are able to get hold of one.  You could visit this link to update the bios on your computer. Link: http://hp.com/drivers  which may fix the issue. You need to enter the unit?s product# and go to  the download drivers page, choose the correct operating system and update the bios. Please follow the instructions on the screen. If that does not work please run system diagnostics from this link: http://hp.care/2cVsiaUPlease run all the diagnostics. Make a note of any failure codes or error messages and reply back. I would also require the product# of the unit. It is found in this link as well. Please make note of that too. Hope this helps. Do let me know how this goes. To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button for my efforts. Please remember to mark "Accept as Solution" if this helps. Thanks and have a blessed week ahead!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Laptop-HP-G62-is-shutting-down-randomly/td-p/5761082
Relevancy 43%

My toshiba laptop has stopped shutting down!!!! I hav to do hard shut down everytime since it just restarts itself. i did a restore to LKGC but no use........... some1 plz help. im really worried.
specifications:
Model: PSL48E-03602NAR
CDS: NO CDS/RECOVERY DISCS/OS CDS
CD DRIVE: NOT WORKING

Relevancy 43%

Whenever I turn off my laptop, the screen does black but the LED remains on, meaning it didn't fully turn off. As a result, I have to manually shut it off by pressing down the power button for a few seconds. Going to the Control Panel and doing "troubleshoot problems with Windows Update" sometimes works, but other times not. Also, I have scanned the laptop and no malware was found.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Laptop-not-fully-shutting-down/td-p/5742792
Relevancy 43%

Recently whenever I wanted to shut down my laptop Laptop Down Trouble Shutting the infamous BSOD comes up every single time It ll restart itself again and I ll have to shut it down from the Log In User screen Everything is fine before I shut down though I managed to write down the codes that came up during the blue screen this morning x f x x E x E BC x Trouble Shutting Down Laptop E F After starting up the computer again the windows repair thing eh I use the Traditional Chinese version will show BCCode f BCP BCP AED D BCP AED D BCP E F Info about my laptop OS Version Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Trouble Shutting Down Laptop Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM Duo CPU P GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce M GS Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer Inc M Vc BSN Antivirus Trend Micro AntiVirus Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Disabled Thanks in advance to anyone who are willing to help me nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-shutting-down-laptop.951806/