Windows Support Forum

Windows 7 going to "Switch user" screen by itself

Q: Windows 7 going to "Switch user" screen by itself

My PC Acer Windows Pro -bit Lately when I leave my pc alone for awhile the screen turns off in min's which is the setting I chose However when I press Windows user" screen "Switch itself to 7 going by any key or click the mouse to turn back on the screen I'm taken to the quot Switch user quot screen with my user ID and those of others Windows 7 going to "Switch user" screen by itself I have to click on my user ID icon enter my password press enter Windows 7 going to "Switch user" screen by itself and then I'm taken to where I left off This is tedious I've checked all the display settings I can but Windows 7 going to "Switch user" screen by itself I can't find the setting I need to stop this behavior Under Control Panel Hardware and Sound Power Options Edit Plan Settings I've got quot Turn off display quot set to quot minutes quot and quot Put the computer to sleep quot set to quot Never quot I DO want the screen to turn off after min's when I've left the pc but I DON'T want to have to keep clicking my user ID and entering my password to resume where I left off I just want to come back click any key or the mouse turn on the screen and continue where I left off What controls this behavior and how do I change it HALP

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Windows 7 going to "Switch user" screen by itself

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Windows 7 going to "Switch user" screen by itself

Control panel, power options, require a password when computer wakes. Check that setting!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/384636-windows-7-going-switch-user-screen-itself.html
Relevancy 83.7%

Normally when logging on, the welcome screen shows Dell Icon and My Name which I click to log on. Then, "Switch User" under that. Now I am only getting "Switch User" and when I click "Switch User" nothing happens. Can't log in. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. (I am posting from a different computer as I can't log in to mine.)

A:Windows welcome screen only showing "Switch User"

Hello T Clouatre, and welcome to Seven Forums.

You might see if doing a system restore at boot using a restore point dated before this happened may be able to undo and fix this for you.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/316711-windows-welcome-screen-only-showing-switch-user.html
Relevancy 82.46%

Hello,

I've searched the forum and could not find an answer to this problem.

I have a Windows 7 Enterprise machine where at the login screen the "Switch User" button is missing and so I am unable to clear the last user.

Just about all the results I got back on this topic was how to re-enable the "Switch User". This doesn't help because I can't login to make the change.

TIA!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/385049-how-switch-users-login-screen-when-switch-user-missing.html
Relevancy 108.36%

Hi All,

Whenever someone in my family walks away from using the computer with Windows Vista, after the Screen Saver, I'm always taken to a screen that allows only the last user to log back in, but when someone else wants to log in, they need to hit the "Switch User" button to choose a different name.

My question is... Can I have the computer just go back to showing all the users' names (so I don't have to click the "Switch User" button to login as me). I would like this to work, just as XP did... so if the last person who used the computer has to log back in, s/he would just have to click their name again...just like XP did.

Thanks so much!
CG

A:How do I bypass "Switch User" screen, after ScreenSaver to login as another in Vista?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-bypass-switch-user-screen-after-screensaver-to-login-as-another-in-vista.687787/
Relevancy 108.36%

Hi All,

Whenever someone in my family walks away from using the computer with Windows Vista, after the Screen Saver, I'm always taken to a screen that allows only the last user to log back in, but when someone else wants to log in, they need to hit the "Switch User" button to go back to the regular login screen.

My question is... Can I have the computer just go back to showing all the user's names (so I don't have to click the "Switch User" button to login as me). I would like this to work, just as XP did... so if the last person who used the computer has to log back in, s/he would just have to click their name again...just like XP did.

Thanks so much!
CG

A:How do I bypass "Switch User" screen to login as another in Vista?

Is this after the screen goes to a screensaver, or just anytime you switch users?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/134435-how-do-i-bypass-switch-user-screen-login-another-vista.html
Relevancy 107.93%

I'm running a generic Acer laptop Windows home premium Fresh Install about results screen in black User" "Switch months ago I am now working from home and had to create a quot work quot profile call it profile- I just created a secondary profile and named it quot work quot there is nothing really special about it other than I had to install some proprietary software in order to access the company website along with modifying a few settings to allow access through firewall UAC etc however this software settings will work for all profiles it is not profile specific Now If I am in my quot normal quot profile profile- and I go to Start gt gt Switch User the pc pauses that profile and gives me the screen with all the user profiles However if I am in profile- and Start gt gt Switch User it results in a black screen which requires me "Switch User" results in black screen to hold power button and do a hard shut-down and restart also clicking shutdown from profile- ends the same way stuck on black screen requiring hard-shutdown It only happens when in profile- profile- works perfect in every way Windows can I know it has something to do with the company software settings and that might require me to access the company help desk but that is such a pain and I figure I'm not the first person to have this problem so I thought I would give you guys a shot at solving it first So if anyone has any ideas or if "Switch User" results in black screen you need more information please let me know Thanks in advance

A:"Switch User" results in black screen

Can you Log Off and Log back onto any other profile with no problem? That may need to suffice.

Check for infection, spyware, System File Integrity, try another AV to compare (frequent solution), establish a Clean Boot for all Users, cull logs to resolve repeat errors and the other Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/350051-switch-user-results-black-screen.html
Relevancy 106.21%

Ok this is my third attempt after re-booting and re-booting This is my wife s Sony abt years old P WinXP HE k ram For a long time now it has been quot temperamental quot Among the latest is I can no longer quot switch user quot as normally Clicking Start log off switch user does absolutely nothing now it functions. "Switch Solved: no "Password"? longer User" merely reverts to the former screen Start log off log off does work however And the shortcut that I used to use the Win logo key L now goes to quot UNLOCK COMPUTER quot a pop-up message that tells me the pc is in use and locked and only I presumably as an administrator with the proper password can now unlock it Problem what the heck is the password We don t recall ever setting one Control Alt Delete does nothing here Once at this screen my only recourse is to reboot quot Cancel quot is greyed out I think though that a few days ago it wasn t and I could cancel Is that my faulty memory or is this thing getting worse A side note I did recently download and Solved: "Switch User" no longer functions. "Password"? utilize a reg cleaner freeware quot Regseeker quot which I used to delete only several items it said Solved: "Switch User" no longer functions. "Password"? were not used or broken links It also allegedly created a back-up before deletion but darned if I can see where or how I can get them back I also disabled thanks to another tech quot advice quot several services via Control Panel Administrative Solved: "Switch User" no longer functions. "Password"? Tools Services However that techie claims nothing I disabled in his list should affect this Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 102.77%

My company technical team member initiated an update 5 installation to Visual Studio 2013 but as I had to head for a meeting, I had to use the computer. So i tried the switch user option. My questions are

1. I can see a process VS2013.5.exe in Task Manager with some memory allocated. So even if i am logged in, whether the installation still continue and complete it?

2. What is really happening when one user switch in Windows OS? Is there any technical documentation from Microsoft side?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9d5ccd4e-41c5-40b1-91dd-fb765a1018a6/how-does-quotswitch-userquot-works-internally-in-windows?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 101.05%

So got windows 8 Dev installed so far so good, I thought I would like the left screen bump to go to last app or program used feature till I installed some games and tried to play them suddenly my left side of my screen is no good if needing to scroll to the side say in a game like Starcraft II, Civilization, ect. Anyone know how to disable it?

A:Disabling the left screen "Bump" or "quick switch"

I want to know how to activate it, sometimes my quick switch is unavailable

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/2520-disabling-left-screen-bump-quick-switch.html
Relevancy 94.17%

I have the exact same issue as Howie DESKTOP ICONS MOVING AFTER ANOTHER USER LOGS IN VIA quot SWITCH USER quot ie When one logs back into one's own user space - all the icons have moved I too have two users on my new quot notebook quot with Vista Business Both have groups of Icons placed in different areas of the desktop But after my daughter has logged into her user space via quot switch user quot almost ALL bar or out of icons IN MY USER SPACE get moved move icons "switch after user" Desktop out of any logical order and pushed to the left side again I have to sort them all out all over again which is such a gross time water however if they stay this way for a while it is a time saver coz I know exactly where EVERYTHING is when its in my well sorted way on the desktop This doesn't happen at all after quot shutdown quot just switching users causes it PLEEEEEEZ help somebody - this is immensely frustrating amp time wasting Surely there must be a little box somewhere in Vista that says quot save desktop Desktop icons move after "switch user" setup quot or something similar I Hope Howie has found Desktop icons move after "switch user" a solution as I totally understand your issue Howie Good luck to us hOPe somebody else out there has worked it out PS Howie's thread was a while ago in Desktop icons move after "switch user" case ur all wondering quot who's Howie quot

A:Desktop icons move after "switch user"

Hello Janeeni,

I had this same problem myself when I first updated my rig. The problem in my case was a weird issue, but it is now fixed. Try unchecking "Align to Grid" and "Auto Arrange" on the desktop by right clicking and hovering over "view"

~Lordbob

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/221287-desktop-icons-move-after-switch-user.html
Relevancy 94.17%

Starting several weeks ago, after someone used it, my computer started going to the page I after the log off, switch user page when it was not being used. This is the page I would get to if I delibertly went to the start menue, clicked " log off" then clicked "switch user"

In order to get back to the main screen I now have to click onto the block with my user name. .

When the computer is not being used , the screen goes blank (as it did before) (because of power managment), but once I hit any key, what comes up is the little box I have to click to switch on as a user, instead of the main screen. .
How can I get the computer to work the way it did before.

A:computer goes to page after "switch user" by iteself when not in use

Right click the desktop, properties, screensaver tab, power, advanced tab, uncheck "prompt for password when computer resumes from standby" and click ok.
In the screensaver tab, uncheck "on resume..." and click ok.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-goes-to-page-after-switch-user-by-iteself-when-not-in-use.262435/
Relevancy 93.31%

I have two users on the computer it will let me login but not the other user A message comes up like this quot A recently installed program has disabled the welcome screen and fast user switching To restore those features you must uninstall the program The following file name might help you identify the program that made the change quot I have done a complete scan of the C drive and no such file name is present What else can I try with computer on User" "Switch Problems in Problems with "Switch User" on computer order to fix the problem This user cannot log in in turn he cannot locate in files folders pictures etc What do you suggest Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack bit Processor AMD Athlon tm X Dual Core Processor x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce LE Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc CT Antivirus Norton Premier Edition Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 93.31%

Here's the scenario:
We have 4 users on a home pc--1 admin, 3 limited users.
Administrator logs off. Limited user logs on. Limited user logs off. Administrator attempts to log on but screen goes black and appears to loose signal. Monitor displays loss of signal. Eventually a single limited users icon will appear on a blue screen and the system is locked. Must do a hard restart to reset. Also, Task Manager appears to not function. Ctrl Alt Del does nothing except put icon in task bar. Have checked to make sure it isn't disabled. Have run Nortons, AdAware, Spybot. All systems appear clean. All systems are updated. I have searched but cannot find any help on this.
Any suggestions would be greatly apprreciated.

PS...I just discovered i cannot shut down from the start menu...have to use hard shutdown.

A:Can't "switch user" to administrators desktop--Please Help!

"Administrator attempts to log on but screen goes black and appears to loose signal."

Might try booting to safe mode, log on as Administrator, and set your screen resolution again.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-switch-user-to-administrators-desktop-please-help.660529/
Relevancy 92.88%

I have a domain 8.1 login to boots screen "Other instead with of Pro Username Windows and User" Password joined Surface Pro running Pro The following GPO settings are in place Assign a default domain for logon Do not display last logged on user Disable logging in with Microsoft accounts - uses the following registry setting - MACHINE Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Policies System NoConnectedUser - Value The end goal is for the machine to boot Windows 8.1 Pro boots to login screen with "Other User" instead of Username and Password to the login screen that just displays empty user name and password fields The problem at the moment is that instead of doing that the client boots to a screen where the only option is to click on quot Other user quot Only then does the login screen I want where they enter their username and password in full actually appear These Surface Pro 's are to be used by small children and have the quot Other User quot screen appear is confusing for them as well as being very annoying for me It's completely unnecessary I've searched all over the 'net looking for an easy way to get the client to boot straight to the standard domain joined log in screen but every time it just boots to this quot Other User quot screen that has to be clicked on in order to get the correct login screen to come up Is there any way I Windows 8.1 Pro boots to login screen with "Other User" instead of Username and Password can get this to boot straight to the login screen I want nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/973ac221-15da-4815-ac30-acbca40003de/windows-81-pro-boots-to-login-screen-with-quotother-userquot-instead-of-username-and-password?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 92.45%

Okay first hello and thanks for any info you could provide.

First my screen resolution is 1920x1200

The logon screen is this same resolution, thus the User Account Picture on Logon Screen size looks about 1 inch squared

Is there anyway to change this to make it larger

Note: I'm talking about the User Account Picture not the logon screen

A:User Account Picture on Logon Screen size "Windows 7 Ultimate x64"

Quote: Originally Posted by ZeroProfile

Okay first hello and thanks for any info you could provide.

First my screen resolution is 1920x1200

The logon screen is this same resolution, thus the User Account Picture on Logon Screen size looks about 1 inch squared

Is there anyway to change this to make it larger

Note: I'm talking about the User Account Picture not the logon screen

If you're the only person that uses that pc, set a password and it will help make your pc more secure, plus you will have a bigger user account picture.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/239347-user-account-picture-logon-screen-size-windows-7-ultimate-x64.html
Relevancy 92.45%

I've set up a secondary account on my Windows 7 machine and I need to find out how to disable the switch user thing.

In Windows XP, I could hit winflag+L and switch user as I would instantly be taken to the user list.

In Windows 7, for some reason they had to complicate everything. When I hit winflag+L it just displays a picture of my account and a "Switch User" button, which for me serves no purpose what so ever.

Is there any way I can regain Windows XP's user switch functionality in Windows 7, where winflag+L takes me directly to the user list on the login screen?
Thanks in advance

A:Disable "user locked" screen in windows 7

First, everyones situation is important to them. Bumping does not speed up the process, in fact it may slow it up, since we all think that you just posted.

Click Start button>
Little arrow at bottom by shut down
Switch user.

Hope this helps

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/112256-disable-user-locked-screen-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 91.59%

My OS is WinXP SP2 and recently the "Switch User" function stopped working... there is no problem with logging off, restarting or any other function just with "Switch User".
It doesn't crash the computer or something it just does absolutley nothing...
anyone knows how can I fix this?

Relevancy 90.3%

May I know is it possible to show domain user's "Display Name" instead of "User Logon Name" as owner in print queue? Our company's domain using generic "User Logon Name", i.e. 001, 002, 003 and so on, each "User Logon Name" will have personalized "Display Name", e.g. Mary, John etc., but a problem is when a print job printed by a user is hold in the print queue of a network printer, other users won't know who is it (the owner of the print job may shown as 001, 002 etc.) and so not able to ask that user to remove the print job. Any ideas? Thanks a lot!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/show-users-display-name-instead-of-user-logon-name-as-owner-in-print-queue.616719/
Relevancy 89.44%

In Windows XP, fully updated, I have several folders full of mp3's and want to see the bit rate and duration. I right click on a column heading and select "Bit rate". I then click on "More..." so I can get to "Duration", and I select that one too.

But all the figures in the "Duration" column appear to be in "hours" and "minutes", so I see "00:04" or "00:03", but what I want is "minutes" and "seconds".

Any thoughts as to how to change this?

A:Solved: Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes.693037/
Relevancy 89.01%

I'm using XP-SP2 Pro on a stand-alone PC. There are multiple user accounts.

When there is no keyboard or mouse input for x minutes (I haven't measured "x"), XP performs a switch user operation, and returns to the "Switch User" screen. To resume working, the user has to login (again).

Note: in this configuration, CTRL-ALT-DELETE is not necessary at either the original login or this moronic re-login.

I have tried tweaking various settings in Control Panel -> Power Options, including "Advanced" options, to no avail.

How do I disable this Microsoft Madness?

Bonus points: Rhetorically speaking, when those folks in Redmond give users choices, why do they always (and I mean ALWAYS) make the stupidest / most useless option the default? Should I start a new thread to ask that?

A:Solved: xp pro - when idling, returns to "switch users" screen

Welcome Screen Appears After Your Computer Has Been Idle
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/810607

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-xp-pro-when-idling-returns-to-switch-users-screen.697275/
Relevancy 88.58%

Good Day People,

I have a little problem with my computer and its running right now on windows 8.1, When i tried to switch other profile from my main profile i will stuck on the scree "Please wait" i've tried to wait for it for a day and its still stuck on that screen and i am forced to manually shutdown the computer and reboot it back. Is this a known issue on windows 8.1? Can anyone help me with this one.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/39282-stuck-please-wait-screen-when-trying-switch-profle.html
Relevancy 88.15%

I am running Windows XP SP fully updated on an Acer Explorer Column Windows no "Minutes" "Seconds", "Hours" just "Duration" - and lap top PC I have several folders full of mp 's and want to Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" see the bit rate and Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" duration To Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes" do this I right click on a column heading and select quot Bit rate quot I then click on quot More quot so I can get to quot Duration quot and I select that one too The two new columns appear but the format of the quot Duration quot column appears to be quot hours minutes quot so I see quot quot or quot quot for most mp 's when what I want to see is 'hours minutes seconds quot e g quot quot This also happens for video files avi files e g all my episodes of quot Heroes quot sad I know have a duration of quot quot instead of quot xx quot Here are two pictures showing the problem with the mp 's The first is of Explorer showing the Duration as quot Hours Minutes quot The second picture is of the properties window of the first mp in the list above I copied some mp files to another old PC on my home network and it displayed the duration field correctly Also the properties window correctly shows the duration also I'm not the only person to have this problem I received a private message from a member of another forum where I posted about this problem several weeks ago That person also has the same problem with the duration field The tech guys on that forum were unable to find the source of the duration field problem But after I had such a great success on this forum with my hard disk problem here I decided to try to get help here Thanks in advance for any suggestions

A:Windows Explorer "Duration" Column - no "Seconds", just "Hours" and "Minutes"

* bump *

Tricky, this one!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-explorer-duration-column-no-seconds-just-hours-and-minutes-253928.html
Relevancy 87.29%

I can't copy and paste "User name" and Password" in Windows Mail (Vista 64 bit SP2)

I have already try both mouse and keyboard (ctrl+c and ctrl+v)

I would like to know how to setting then I can copy and paste "User name" and Password" ?

Kind Regards,

A:I can't copy and paste "User name" and Password" in Windows Mail (Vista 64 bit SP2)

I'm no expert, but I'd imagine it's a security measure.

http://www.vistax64.com/system-security/230180-i-cant-copy-paste-user-name-password-windows-mail-vista-64-bit-sp2.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Please help us to troubleshoot the following problem in our Compaq NX 9000 Machine with Windows XP Professional Operating System:-

- An error shows with two options "Switch to" & "Retry" after booting the machine, which forces to press "Retry" button in the error window repeatedly and as you press this "Retry" button, "Start Menu" automatically opens and it then again asks to press "Retry" Button.

Thanks to all helping members.

Regards,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/an-error-shows-with-two-options-switch-to-retry.238755/
Relevancy 86.43%

Hello

Interestingly on boot up I see "another user" but the picture is blank, with a frame around it (I can see through it to the boot wallpaper that I have changed to prove) ..

Who is another user?

Please help as I have been on the 2 days now

A:Created admin User but can see on 'Switch User" cntrl/alt/del

Sorry to bump but things have changed somewhat, and yes could start a new topic but will try the edit function as I am not here often. I see 110 views and that's promising

Please advise who is this "another user" icon/picture is blank, with a frame around it (I can see through it to the boot wallpaper that I have changed to prove) .. on control /alt/ delete.

I now have admin rights back (previous problem) but this "another user" can't be found anywhere (I know of) except at login. I am stumped..

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/243941-created-admin-user-but-can-see-switch-user-cntrl-alt-del.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Greetings I have an XP machine which I only ever user myself lists "user" users" start and [SOLVED] program Merging "all menu as in there are no other users on the machine [SOLVED] Merging "user" and "all users" start menu program lists no guest account and it logs in without a password I'm trying to sort out my expansive and bloated Start Menu Programs list but it seems that there are two separate lists One for quot Joe quot the main user account and one for quot all users quot I guess because some programs give the option of installing for just one user or for everyone All of the programs show up in the Start Menu when I click on it but when I go into Windows Explorer to try and sort them out there are two separate folders C Documents and Settings All Users Start Menu Programs C Documents and Settings Joe Start Menu Programs I know I can move them around in these folders ie putting them in related groups such as quot system tools quot etc but can I move all of them from the main user to the quot all users quot folder or vice versa without any problems Thanks Joe

A:[SOLVED] Merging "user" and "all users" start menu program lists

Yes, you can consolidate them all in one, or slit them up as desired.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-merging-and-quot-user-and-quot-and-and-quot-all-users-and-quot-start-menu-program-lists-493670.html
Relevancy 84.28%

After and Login Control" Account Dialog screen "User Corrupted a clean install of Windows and installing both current NVidia GeForce GS AGP drivers and monitor driver ACER W Login screen and "User Account Control" Dialog Corrupted X I was able to get Windows amp to run in my monitor's native resolution x but no matter what resolution I run in I get some weird effects When in the 'Login Screen' I get short black lines scattered about the screen and the controls are all corrupted Once logged in and on the desktop the graphics are all good with no issues at all That is until I try to do something that requires Windows to toss me the quot User Account Control quot dialog The dialog is corrupted see attached except for the quot No quot button which is obviously the default and therefore has focus As I move the mouse over the quot Yes quot button it gains focus and it becomes clear and visible The background although dimmed displays just fine If I drag the dialog around the screen the quot No quot button leaves copies of itself like mousetracks When I click yes or no Login screen and "User Account Control" Dialog Corrupted and the dialog closes the display goes back to normal This occured both during Windows installation and after it was completed I just assumed that once the updated drivers were installed it would go away NOT I am guessing Windows is changing the display resolution when dimming the screen or in the login screen I have exhausted myself trying Vista drivers XP drivers Windows default drivers I have tried about different versions and still no change Suggestions Is this an AGP PCI issue with W

A:Login screen and "User Account Control" Dialog Corrupted

Video card memory gone bad maybe? Overlap conflict between video and system memory. Possibly need a updated video driver?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/196590-login-screen-user-account-control-dialog-corrupted.html
Relevancy 84.28%

OK this is one WEIRD problem User Agree" Cannot buttons on "I reach Agreement screen but also extremely frustrating I have Cannot reach "I Agree" buttons on User Agreement screen a new Asus Cannot reach "I Agree" buttons on User Agreement screen netbook computer running Windows and on certain User Agreement screens where you have to agree by hitting a button Cannot reach "I Agree" buttons on User Agreement screen on the bottom of the page the screen is too quot long quot to even see much less reach the buttons I have tried fiddling with the quot encryption quot when I would right-click on it I have tried to quot grab quot the screen's edges and shrink it--no luck On my Windows Live Messenger screen in quot Options quot I cannot hit the quot Apply quot buttons at the bottom of the page I can only quot grab quot the pale blue border on top of the screen and edge it up about a half-centimeter soi I can just see the tops of the buttons but as soon as I let it go the screen falls back down nd the buttons are inaccessible OK--is there a fix for this Something that a noob like me doesn't know This is maddening--to not be able to see PDF's sent in emails because I can't open Adobe Acrobat Reader I wonder what ELSE I can't do with Windows Can anyone offer suggestion

A:Cannot reach "I Agree" buttons on User Agreement screen

Hitting the TAB key will advance the cursor one field at a time..

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/53045-cannot-reach-i-agree-buttons-user-agreement-screen.html
Relevancy 84.28%

As a desktop power user (large screen monitor(s), several windows open, complex programs, writing, spreadsheet, coding, picture manipulation, etc.) have you found any "Metro" (full screen on your monitor) apps that pull you away from the desktop?

A:Desktop Power User, what "Metro" full screen apps get your attention?

:thumbup: The Fud would ask -> "Is this wun of dose twicky kwestions?!!"

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/11321-desktop-power-user-what-metro-full-screen-apps-get-your-attention.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Srry i know this post is a bit old but i recently just got this problem i can access the internet fine but i cant access my network settings, user settings, or see the the properties of my pc. i tried running your solution Brink but the scannow showed

"Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
C:\Windows\system32>sfc /scannow
Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service.
C:\Windows\system32>"

i then ran sfc /verifyonly but got the same answer.

i then ran findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt. and the txt file came up blank.

idk wat to do rite now i am at my witts end.

A:Can't access "Network and Sharing Center" nor "User Accounts"

Hello Jayrrus, and welcome to Vista Forums.

I would recommend that you use Microsoft Standalone System Sweeper to scan your system with at boot to help make sure that your system is malware free first.

Afterwards, you might see if you may be able to do a system restore at boot using a restore point dated before you had these issues to see if that may be able to fix them.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/292657-cant-access-network-sharing-center-nor-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I am going 'round & 'round with this issue. I log on as limited user account for security. However, when I am on that acct, I cannot copy files to the external HP drive - I have to switch over to the admin user account to do so. In order to use the limited account for this operation, I have read that you should disable simple file sharing, (on admin acct), then rt clik on the file u want to copy - this then opens a menu with security tab where you are supposed to be able to give full control to the limited acct for that file. My admin acct that brings up this menu has those boxes to check grayed out. Also, do you have to rt click and give full permission for any file that you want to copy? (once you have this all figured out) - Seems a bit cumbersome. Any ideas anyone?? Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-hp-pocket-media-drive-as-limited-user-not-admin.912069/
Relevancy 83.85%

I'd like to assign a few select "domain users" to be local admin over their test machines which log into a domain. The test machines are Windows 7 64bit and the domain is Win2k8 R2. I have been searching around for the best way to do it but I've come up short on my search.

Anyone know off the top of their head?

Thanks

A:Assigning "domain user" to "local admin" on select PCs

Create a new group in AD, for example, TestUsers
Add the required users to the group
Go round each machine and add the group as a member of local admins.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/47604-assigning-domain-user-local-admin-select-pcs.html
Relevancy 83.85%

The control panel opens fine. I can access all items in the control panel
except "Network and sharing center" and the "User accounts" (I can't access this sections via the taskbar either).

What happens when I open one of the two items is I get a popup saying the
following; WINDOWS EXPLORER HAS STOPPED WORKING.

I used to be able to access these items. And one day, I just coulodn't anymore...

Anyone knows how to solve this? Thanks.

I'm using Vista Ultimate x64

A:Can't access "Network and Sharing Center" nor "User Accounts"

Hello Newbie,

See if running a sfc /scannow can find and fix bad system files that may be responsible for this.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/187690-cant-access-network-sharing-center-nor-user-accounts.html
Relevancy 83.85%

The search box in Windows Exploer is a real pain the ass. I regularly need to find files in a large directory with a lot of sub directories, with thousands of files.

The annoying thing is the way that as soon as I start typing it decides to start searching - but with so many files this just jams things up and stops me typing. I have to wait for it to sort itself out before it will let me type any more and this is becoming extemely tedious.

It's getting to the point where I have to type the search into notepad then cut and paste it into WinEx, which is clearly a ridiculous state of affairs.

How do I switch this highly annoying feature the hell off?

A:Windows Explorer "auto search" is a real pain - how do I switch it off

That is not possible, but something similar is possible.

See point number 51 on this page: Windows 7: 77 Windows 7 Tips

Tip
Type faster! LOL!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/284522-windows-explorer-auto-search-real-pain-how-do-i-switch-off.html
Relevancy 83.85%

After a Windows update and restart the following problem appeared nbsp When the Windows machine is started it boots correctly then immediately goes to a blue quot Configuring Windows quot screen followed after a couple of minutes by the quot Failure Configuring Windows Update Reverting Changes quot screen After around hours this eventually changes to quot Shutting Changes Do "Failure Locked out Windows - Update - off..." Configuring switch by computer not Reverting of down quot This has been left overnight and still says quot Shutting down quot During start up I don't get to the log-on screen and don't have access to any settings A shared partition on the machine is visible from other computers and a SQL database can be accessed during the Reverting Changes stage I can restart the machine successfully in Safe Mode and have tried a clean boot Chkdsk has been run Microsoft Help says use FixIt but FixIt doesn't run in Safe Mode and I can't access the machine after a normal boot to run it then Diagnostics doesn't work in Safe Mode For the same reasons I can't turn off Windows Update or attempt a reinstall An attempt to restore to a previous version doesn't work giving an x error code Reinstalling the OS from disk seems like overkill and a huge investment in time bringing back up to date and reinstalling software Surely there must be a way of bypassing or deleting the failed update or the service that is trying to configure it Our small business is reliant on this machine so we are quite desperate for a solution

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/e9b78715-ada5-4ccf-b8c9-715ba5e07618/locked-out-of-computer-by-quotfailure-configuring-windows-update-reverting-changes-do-not?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi,

I would like to rename the "Other User" tile at the logon screen to something different like "BOB GENERIC" (not what we would use).
Dont know if it matters or not, but we have enabled policy "Do not show last logged user".

THanks

A:Rename "Other user" tile in logon screen

Hi,

Based my research and knowledge, we may not be able to achieve this request.Kim Zhou

TechNet Community Support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/eb92da85-a682-4fb2-92db-73163f7da673/rename-quotother-userquot-tile-in-logon-screen?forum=w7itprogeneral
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi,

My computer is in domain and i am using third party software for login (2FA).
i want to disable the "other user" option on logon screen or if i click on other user nothing should happen.

i should authenticate only using third party software via domain.

Kindly help to fix it.
Bachchulal varma

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/51319-i-want-disable-other-user-option-logon-screen.html
Relevancy 83.85%

When i turn on my computer, in the step when windows ask you for choose one User to login... the option "Other User" to introduce my domain user account and pass is not showing.

Also, the witch option is not showing after log in with another account, i have to use the sig out option, this is not a big problem, in fact i dont care, i just mention this because maybe have relation with the first problem.
I need the option Other User... Anyone knows how to fix this?
Windows 8.1
Im connected to the network and the domain is showing up

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/84a8d3d3-049c-4df8-a624-21b5ddb6c6b5/quotother-userquot-option-at-login-screen-is-not-showing?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 83.85%

Laptops on Windows Pro seems to show this useless quot Other User quot option which is defaulted This requires people to the (Domain What on is purpose User" "Other of the Env) screen login click quot Local or domain account password quot in the lower left in order to be presented with fields for their username and password Is there a way to eliminate quot Other User quot or at least have the system present username and password fields under this option My desktop on Windows Pro seems to show username and password fields under the quot Other User quot text much like it does in this how to Sign in Screen - Do Not Display User Name in Windows - Windows Forums Not sure what makes a laptop different or how I can make the behavior match The only special options we What is the purpose of "Other User" on the login screen (Domain Env) have configured via Group Policies are these Default Domain GPO elements regarding What is the purpose of "Other User" on the login screen (Domain Env) login Computer gt Windows gt Security gt Security Options gt Local Policies Interactive Logon Do not display last user name - What is the purpose of "Other User" on the login screen (Domain Env) Enabled Interactive Logon Message text for users attempting to log on - Defined with our AUP Disclaimer Interactive Logon Message title for users attempting to log on - Defined with our company name Computer gt Administrative Templates gt System gt Logon Assign a default domain for logon - Enabled and defined with our domain name Always wait for the network and computer startup and logon - Enabled Hide entry points for Fast User Switching - Enabled via local policy because I am testing if this makes a difference or not I noticed I need to have quot Hide entry points for fast user switching quot enabled in Windows so on a reboot it does not show the last user name when trying to log in

A:What is the purpose of "Other User" on the login screen (Domain Env)

This is not exclusively a Windows 10 issue. It used to happen in earlier versions as well.
Check here: Group Policy \Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Logon\Exclude credential providers
Disable the MS account credential provider (you need to check which entry it is).

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/24405-what-purpose-other-user-login-screen-domain-env.html
Relevancy 83.42%

Anyone found a solution, to desktop icons being immoveable ?

A:Windows 8.1 "Align icons to grid" does not switch off

I switched mine off straight away without a problem in the normal way.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/33381-windows-8-1-align-icons-grid-does-not-switch-off.html
Relevancy 83.42%

As the subject line mentioned... i recently had to replace the screen in my Dell Precision M4800.  Now Whenever i am running Photoshop with my Wacom Cintiq tablet, the screen will freeze after a few minutes.  I updated the video driver but am still having the same problem.  I ran a diagnostic test and g everything checked out except for the "Notebook Panel" section.  there I get the error message "Video - User provided no input for graphics test"

Any idea how I can fix this?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19992586
Relevancy 83.42%

of 0x80070b4 and something about time out. How do I re-install please?

A:Security check is telling me that Windows Defender is "off" Attempts to switch back on show an error

Have a loo at THIS link.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/threads/security-check-is-telling-me-that-windows-defender-is-off-attempts-to-switch-back-on-show-an-error.4069527/
Relevancy 82.99%

update Just found out that most of ProgramData's cleared out too Yea can't really restore that stuff Didn't lose anything thanks to User" User" profiles? and Restore "All "Default my ocd filing system Sigh all nighter restoring my system here I come So now changing the focus please enlighten me as to how this happened Why did folders appear inside my quot oldwindows quot that had ties back to my active user account Why did deleting folders inside quot oldwindows quot specifically quot protected operating system files quot affect the active ones in C Users Why did some apps that I've installed only on this new image have files and folders inside the old Does Windows read everywhere for files and such Does putting old in folder names prevent this And how Restore "All User" and "Default User" profiles? do All Users Public and Default User work ------------------------------------------------------ Hi there I messed up really really bad Long long long story short I made the mistake of renaming my windows old file to oldwindows not to sure what I was thinking at the time Used quot take ownership quot to delete some Restore "All User" and "Default User" profiles? of the old files like the system folder and others quot Hide protected operating system files quot was unchecked when I was deleting things because of the above Windows ended up reading associating some files folders and services with the old user I think My permissions got screwed up Ended up with like or security permission profiles for some folders Not too Restore "All User" and "Default User" profiles? big of a deal didn't realize this at the time so I just used a couple of fixes here and there Today I went in and deleted more old stuff and I deleted the quot Default User quot and quot All User quot profiles inside the oldwindows folder among lots of other things that I just can't remember right now Didn't know they would be associated with my current user folder Now my C Users only has my current user and Public Kinda bad I just don't have the time to do a full re-install right now believe me I'm going to There's just a couple of things purchased programs with licensing windows update etc that I can't use right now because of those missing folders that I need So anyone know how to restore them And kindly describe their functionality too Thanks

A:Restore "All User" and "Default User" profiles?

Deleting stuff from windows.old folder doesn't affect the current win7 installation! Are you sure you changed permissions on windows.old only (or files within)? Only deleted stuff in windows.old?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/280155-restore-all-user-default-user-profiles.html
Relevancy 82.99%

windows 7 ultimate(64 bit) my display screen goes to "locked screen/change user" if idle for 1 or 2 minutes. I hit the space bar and it goed back to where I was. I can't figure out how to fix this. Very annoying.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/394952-locked-screen-change-user.html
Relevancy 82.99%

After install a program called DigitalPersona which is used to login to Windows by fingerprint ID
it has created an extra user on the logon screen.

This user has no name and is not listed in the Local Users and Groups > Users

I have since uninstall the software, but the user still remains on my logon screen.

How to remove it?

IF anyone wants to test this software, to replicate the problem

HP Software and Driver Downloads for HP Printers, Laptops, Desktops and More | HP? Customer Support

Click software - security
Digital Persona Fingerprint Reader Software

A:Remove "no name" user from login screen

Give this tutorial a try.
User Account - Delete

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/396137-remove-no-name-user-login-screen.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi,
I have one big problem. yesterday i was having problems with my laptop, Dell XPS 14z. It was going way slow. Dont know why. I did a complete restore to the date that i but it. Everything went fine. But instead of setup screen where i can create username, it shows login screen. where only "Other User" with a blank icon is. I cant login to it. I did the restore 3 times, but the problem is still there. Im stuck. I have read serveral threads on different forums, but they arent for any help because peoples screens it shows Other user and last user loged in. But in my case it only show Other user. please help...

A:problems login screen - "Other User"

Boot to the Advanced Options Boot menu by pressing F8 during startup.
Select Safe Mode, see if you can login there.

When you say I did a complete restore to the date that i but it do you mean you used the built in System Recovery to put it back to factory new state?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/240808-problems-login-screen-other-user.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Windows 8 pc is coming up to the last user logged on (with an e-mail login). I need to select a local user to loggin in with.

A:How to get past "last user" logged on screen.

Hello Baiter, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Usually, you could click on the back arrow button at the top right to then see the other users on the sign in screen.

If you like, you could use OPTION ONE in the tutorial below to always see all users on the sign in screen instead of the last user.

Sign in - Show All Users or Last User in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/41713-how-get-past-last-user-logged-screen.html
Relevancy 82.99%

I like the "Classic Windows View" which I have been using ever since Windows '95. I kept it on classic through Me, XP and Vista and now I want to use it for Windows 7.

Does anyone know how I can set that setting? I cannot find it anywhere

A:How do I switch to "Classic Windows View"?

Quote: Originally Posted by BriGuy

I like the "Classic Windows View" which I have been using ever since Windows '95. I kept it on classic through Me, XP and Vista and now I want to use it for Windows 7.

Does anyone know how I can set that setting? I cannot find it anywhere

Go to control panel personalization themes

finally modified themes

http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/43403-how-do-i-switch-classic-windows-view.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hi
I've upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1 and stupidly created a Microsoft account during the upgrade procedure rather than using a local account (which is what I was using before). I want to go back to using the local account and have tried going to "Your
Account" - "Disconnect" - "Switch to a local account". However, as I want everything to go back to how it was before I upgraded I've tried entering the same username as before but I keep getting the following message "Windows
is already using that name. Please enter a different username". Is there anyway I can log into a local account using the same username as before or do I need to create a new username (and therefore a new account?).
Any help to make this problem go away would be much appreciated!
Myzo.

A:Switch to local account - "Windows is already using that name"

Hi,
According to your description, I think you may made a misunderstand for your operation. In the interface of ?Switch to a local account?, it means to create a new user account, as you already had a same name local account, you would receive this error report.
If you want to switch to your local account, you can follow the steps below to access other account.
Firstly, check your current user account. Control Panel\User Accounts\User Accounts\Manage User Account. Verifying whether your local account still exists.
Secondly, WIN+C, click Power, then choose
Switch User Account. After that, choose your local user account.Roger Lu
TechNet Community Support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/19d0127d-3f3a-4190-8de9-a8e08d1dfb2e/switch-to-local-account-quotwindows-is-already-using-that-namequot?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi all,
I recently created a new user account on a win 7 home premium machine before I'd had much experience with win 7 (but years with 2000 and xp).
Instead of users\Roger\ it created users\user which I now realise is not correct. (I didn't call my account "user", either, before you ask. )
Can I fix this without deleting the profile and starting again, as I've done hours of work since that little stuff up.
Thanks in advance,
Roger.

A:Account "Roger" appears as "c:\users\user"

Roger I assuming you have tried change the account name in Control Panel??

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/319254-account-roger-appears-c-users-user.html
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi All,

Is there an easy to "split" a 40 Gb user file area into ten 4 Gb "chunks", for the purpose of backing up onto ten DVDs? In other words, is there an easy way to copy a 40 Gb file area onto ten DVDs?

Operating System is Windows 7 Enterprise (64 bit).

Thank you for your time and help,
Best regards,
James

A:"Splitting" 40 Gb user file system into ten 4 Gb "chunks"

Perhaps if you save to a FAT32 formatted partition.
This is automatically done by image backup software such as Macrium and Acronis.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/237706-splitting-40-gb-user-file-system-into-ten-4-gb-chunks.html
Relevancy 82.56%

So I have my entire hard drive backed up to an image file. I had to format and put a new hard drive in my machine. All is fine and dandy, but when I try to access my user's folder in "documents and settings" on the mounted "image" all I get is "access is denied" - anyone know how to fix this, or get around it?

A:Accessing a user's "documents and settings" when it's "protected"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/accessing-a-users-documents-and-settings-when-its-protected.397781/
Relevancy 82.56%

I have Windows XP Pro., sp3.

When you install a new program, what determines where it is listed: All Users>Start Menu>Programs or "user name">Start Menu>Programs?

reoneill

A:What determines if a program is installed under "All Users" or "user name"?

Usually some of the programs give you an option to install it under your user name or for all users during the setup process. So say if I was installing (CVTae) a resume programming on a Windows XP computer it will after the installation process ask me if I want to install it as all users (so it will show up on the all users start menu so everyone can see it) or just for me. That's where you can decide for yourself where you want to install it.

'So usually it's the user's choice of where it's listed in most cases, but certainly not in all cases.

Hope that helps mate.
Dan

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-determines-if-a-program-is-installed-under-all-users-or-user-name.744798/
Relevancy 82.56%

I manage the Networks for several companies remotely and not all users are computer friendly enough to know both their username and password, only their Password. So, when doing maintenance and I log on to a PC as an administrator or other user I will often
get a call the next day that their "password is not working" because it is using the last logged on user, which this time is me.

Is it possible in any way to set either a default domain user, or set it to a most often logged on model instead of the current last user or the alternative of prompting for user name every time?

ijerry

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/db8a182c-a93e-490e-ba99-dbe636d445ef/changing-from-a-quotlast-user-to-loginquot-to-quotdefault-userquot-login-prompt-model?forum=w8itprosecurity
Relevancy 82.13%

I am running Windows bit Apparently I scanned my system using full system scan AVAST and left my computer on thinking it would take screen or wait" off turn [SOLVED] "Configuring windows. not on Do "Please Stuck your for many hours When I came back my computer automatically shutdown because it was left standby for about hours I don't know if the scan was finished When I try to boot the screen gets [SOLVED] Stuck on "Please wait" screen or "Configuring windows. Do not turn off your stuck on quot please wait quot screen or quot configuring windows Do not turn off your computer quot I already tried going to System Recovery Options screen then going to Troubleshoot then Advanced Options but I tried everything there and still the issue persists even when I tried to boot in safe mode I tried going to command prompt and type sfc scannow but it says it can't scan right now I also [SOLVED] Stuck on "Please wait" screen or "Configuring windows. Do not turn off your tried chkdsk R but it says the same I don't know how to run cmd as administrator from the System Recovery Options So now I tried to use system restore but I am stuck to the windows logo for about and half hour I don't know if I should wait for this or it is already stuck In other forums I read they used system restore with only the quot C quot disk group connected Should I also do this I am thinking to remove AVAST or somehow disable it Please help me

A:[SOLVED] Stuck on "Please wait" screen or "Configuring windows. Do not turn off your

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Do you have your Windows 8 CD?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/solved-stuck-on-and-quot-please-wait-and-quot-screen-or-and-quot-configuring-windows-do-not-turn-off-your-702996.html
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi all So I'm kind of stuck I currently have the problem where I am in an endless cycle of quot loading files quot - gt quot Windows Boot Manager quot see How To Boot Into Safe Mode On Windows The Easy Way I have tried to load all of the options -- and none successfully load I also end up at a OneKey Recovery as well unfortunately the laptop does not have initial backup or user backup Manager" -> files Boot ..." "Loading "OneKey" "Windows -> images I have a Windows CD for repairing purposes however I cannot load the BIOS UEFI to change "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" the boot order to load the optical drives first I have also tried to remove the CMOS battery to fix it did not work Also - Windows "Loading files ..." -> "Windows Boot Manager" -> "OneKey" Boot Manager Windows Setup EMS Enabled -- does not load properly leads to OneKey Recovery Safe Mode does not load properly Safe Mode with Networking does not load properly Safe Mode with Command Prompt doesn't load - tries to boot and load all files onto partition that is too small can't change partition Enable Boot Logging Enable Low-Resolution Video Debugging MOde Disable automatic restart on system failure Disable Driver Signature Enforcement Display Early Launch Anti-Malware Driver Start Windows Normally Any ideas would be greatly appreciated Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/55670-loading-files-windows-boot-manager-onekey.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I have acquired a window which asks me if I want to save the passwords and other data, and now, when I go into the browser and need a password, this screen "select user" comes up.

Annoying, but also if I have typed a wrong address in there, it wont let me delete it - or is there a way, does anyone know?

I may have acquired this program when I downloaded Mozilla and SealMonkey.

Regards
Judy

A:"Select User" screen

Oooops - wrong forum, can someone please move it for me?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/select-user-screen.562774/
Relevancy 81.27%

Dear Friends;

I have a system with windows XP installed. I want that when i power on the PC, it directly go to desktope without asking any password as no password has been set. Presently, when I start the PC, it stands at "Log on to Windows" box then i just click ok and it go to desktop. Is there any way?

Relevancy 81.27%

I cannot open User Accounts in Control Panel, I keep getting ...

Microsoft (R) HTML Application host has encountered a problem and needs to close.

Anyone with a fix? . My appreciations in advance!

A:"User Accounts" in Control panel wont Open-Error is "Html application Host Error"

Do you have a recovery restore install disc or partition?
You can try doing a repair or system file check...
Scan For Missing/Corrupt System Files...

Windows XP comes with a wonderful tool called System File Checker (SFC)
Itscans and verifies the versions of all protected system files after you restart your computer...
To Do This:
Click Start menu, and then click the Run icon.
In the small box that Opens, type the three letters: cmd then click the OK button.
In the command prompt window that just opened (a black background and white text), type the following command:
SFC /scannow
And then click OK
You must be logged on as a member of the Administrators group to run SFC..
You will need your Windows XP CD during this procedure if SFC needs to get an original file. Please remember that Windows XP can have multiple instances of a .DLL file and remember which version is for which program.
Notes....
I have been asked if it is possible to have a "progress meter" show when SFC runs... This is the registry hack you need. PLEASE do not go messing with your registry if you do NOT know what you are doing!
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
Value Name: SFCShowProgress
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts-in-control-panel-wont-open-error-is-html-application-host-error.744934/
Relevancy 80.84%

I'm trying to fix my brother's computer after he opened a trojan attached to an email The email was the one saying your credit card had been charged Mode screen detected" "Spyware and "Black Screen" Safe for airline tickets The computer is a Dell Dimension running Windows XP SP The first problem is that after normal login there is a blue screen with a yellow window in the window with the message quot Warning Spyware detected on your computer Install an antivirus or spyware remover to clean your computer quot There are no icons visible The only action I can perform is CTL-ALT-DEL to bring up the Windows Task Manager I told my brother to start in Safe Mode from which he scanned the computer using AVG Free Edition which was installed before the infection This did not fix the problem Starting Safe Mode I now get a black screen with Safe Mode "Black Screen" and "Spyware detected" screen Safe Mode in the corners and the operating system name at top The blue login screen then comes up with Administrator and my brothers account I click on Administrator and I get the same black screen as before with Safe Mode in the corners and the writing at top My brothers account does the same There are no icons or Start button visible Again the only program I can bring up is the Windows Task Manager Using that I managed to install and run SmitfraudFix which was given as a solution to quot Spyware detected quot screen After rebooting this did not fix the problem I also installed SpyHunter which found Zlob Trojan Rogue AntivirusXP plus some other spyware cookies and files These were removed from the computer Unfortunately this did not remove the Start Mode black screen and quot Spyware detected quot screens The only thing I can find to do next is a Windows XP repair using the Windows XP install CDROM However before I try that is there anything else you could recommend to get rid of these screens

A:Safe Mode "Black Screen" and "Spyware detected" screen

Anyone want to answer this?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/safe-mode-black-screen-and-spyware-detected-screen-282897.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Would like to not have UAC pop-up for files & folders on non-C: drives, so expect they need to have "full control". Default is Special Permissions. Is there a way to default to "full control" when new folders are created, or do I need to mod permissions for each one? Note that I am NOT talking about anything on the o/s drive C:.

A:Permissions for non-system, "user" drives; not "c:"

How about right clicking the non C drive - clicking Properties - Security tab? Setting full control there for the entire drive? Does that work for you bro?

Thanks,
Robo

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/286493-permissions-non-system-user-drives-not-c.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Hello and thank you for reading my post.

If I'm logged in Windows as user "u1", I can execute "cmd.exe" "as administrator" by choosing

Code:
"Start" -> "cmd.exe" and right-click "Run as administrator".
I would like to start another "cmd.exe" console as "u2" and "as administrator".
(So, "u2" is not the current logged in user).

The following command:

Code:
u1 cmd.exe> runas /user:u2 "cmd.exe"
runs "cmd.exe" as "u2" but not "as administrator".

I would like to do this in command line. Can you tell me how?

Best regards.

Nota:
u1 cmd.exe> means: I'm running "cmd.exe" as "u1".

A:Run "cmd.exe" as a given user and "as administrator" in command line

Hi Lea,

I don't believe that what you want to accomplish is possible. This is because Windows only "runs" one login at a time, unlike some true multi user operating systems, such as Linux.

If your logged in as U1, then you can only perform operations as U1, or as the Administrator. As far as running things as the Administrator is concerned, I believe in this case that you simply inherit the Administrators permission levels, thus permitting you to perform elevated activities.

If your U1 login has Administrator privileges then running as Administrator will be no different to running as U1!

Good luck

Davo

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/235987-run-cmd-exe-given-user-administrator-command-line.html
Relevancy 80.41%

Something happened today and I can no longer access my regular "user" account.

There are five "users" showing in the MMC program in Windows 7 and only one is working. The problem with this is that it does not contain any of the information and links that I use daily.

The accounts are as follows;

Administrator (disabled)
D (not disabled)
DCM (disabled)
Guest (disabled)
Homegroupuser$ (not disabled)

I cannot remove the "disabled" status or rename any of these users. An error pops up saying "access denied".

Is there some way to do this that I have not found?

I tried "googleing" this but did nothave any luck.

Thanks

Relevancy 79.12%

I know that there are versions of Win7 that have this as an option, but is it possible to disable Fast User Switching in the Home Premium version?

Specifically, Windows 7 Home Premium, SP1

Thanks

A:Disable "Fast User Switching" in Windows 7 Home Premium

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/disable-fast-user-switching-in-windows/#premium

If the correct section doesn't appear, scroll down to
"How to disable Fast User Switching in Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows Vista".

-----------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/disable-fast-user-switching-in-windows-7-home-premium.1163715/
Relevancy 79.12%

I'm using the current version of Windows Live Mail, which will not allow the user to print only a "selection" of an email message. The user is only allowed to print the entire message or selected pages.

The prior version of Windows Live Mail (2009) did include this feature.

Why has this feature been deleted from the current version?

It is not an efficient use of the user's time to have to highlight and paste a selection of an email into another program in order to print only the selection desired. Alternately, it is wasteful of paper to have to print an entire email message when only a selection from it is needed.

I cannot fathom why Microsoft removed this essential feature from Windows Live Mail.

Please, please, please put it back!

A:Windows Live Mail won't let user print only a "selection"

Keep dreaming

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/298195-windows-live-mail-wont-let-user-print-only-selection.html
Relevancy 79.12%

I'm having a bit of a problem. As far as I know, my comouter is completely free of viruses and spyware. For about a month and half now, I've been receiving the error message "Windows cannot open user accounts control panel" every time I double-click on User Accounts in Control Panel. I've been to many sites and I'm still stumped. I think the problem lies in the file nusmrgr.cpl being damaged or defective. If anybody can't offer me some advice or point me in the direction of a download or a recommended piece of software, I would really appreciate it.

P.S.

My computer is (obviously) Windows XP and I've already tried System Restore and Roxio GoBack.

I need help!!!!

A:"Windows cannot open user accounts control panel"

HI..and welcome...
Run a online Virus scan just to be sure...http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
If you haven't got already Spybot..A-Aware..links below..
Check fpr up-dates..scan remove what they find..
Run a HJT log...www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTsetup.exe
Close all windows let it scan>save to notepad>edit>select all>edit.copy>paste on your thread..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-cannot-open-user-accounts-control-panel.366585/
Relevancy 79.12%

Hi This is my first post I bought a PC from a website years ago Cube in a bit of a rush The website in retrospect was a bit dodgy and based on other reviews of the site I am lucky I got something for my money at all It was stated to have Windows on it - which turned out to be not true After spending my cash on a PC I then did not want to fork out for an OS as it did not have a default one so alas I used a copy of a friend s It worked fine initially but then I was greeted with the familiar message to many of This copy of windows is not genuine At first I thought I would just ignore it but eventually went down the route of getting a product key online This worked fine for a while but then required me to do it every couple of weeks NOW this has finally caught up with me and I cannot access my user accounts It comes up with an error message relating to user profiles being unavailable I have tried many things such as going on as a guest which works fine and doing a system clock back or system restore but when it asks for months Cannot of user "not windows genuine" after accounts access the administrator s password I get the same Cannot access user accounts after months of "not genuine" windows error relating to user accounts Ultimately I am looking for any way to restore the system so that I can access my user accounts as I now do not really want to buy Windows for the PC if the error still occurs Any help would be appreciated and just contact me for queries Thanks Isaac

A:Cannot access user accounts after months of "not genuine" windows

Hello Isaac,

You're just going to simply need to purchase a legal copy of Windows, and do a clean install an activate.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/324445-cannot-access-user-accounts-after-months-not-genuine-windows.html
Relevancy 79.12%

Did a fresh install of 8. After a few minutes the screen blinked and all the apps were gone. Restarted the computer and it gave me the sign in error.
I attempted to go through safe mode and change some registry keys as instructed by another forum. No luck. I tried creating a new account and no luck. I Reinstalled 8 with another CD and it gave me the same error.

So then I installed windows 7. Same thing. after a few minutes it said windowsexplorer.exe had crashed and all my programs were gone. Restarted to the same login error.

Performed a hard drive diagnostics and everything came back good. Currently running memtest. Anybody run into the same issue or know what may be causing this??

A:"user profile service failed the sign in" windows 8/7

BTW, it is an HP g6z-2200.
500gb Hard Drive
6gb Ram.
AMD A4 APU
Originally came with windows 8.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/user-profile-service-failed-the-sign-in-windows-8-7-a-757337.html
Relevancy 79.12%

working on a Dell 15r that has the thumbnailextractionhost.exe bug so it is effectively impossible to do any repair functions that requitre a functioning windows 8. slaving the disk, I see the default user profile was migrated/recreated around the same time the users issues began, recently, and it has no other archived default-user profile that I can identify. I don't have media, of course, its windows 8.

can someone point me to an online source for a microsoft-issue default user profile.?

if anyone knows how to STOP the loading of thumbnailextractionhost.exe - a method that does not imply/depend-on a WORKING windows 8... amazing the things microsoft thinks up. their 'fixes' require the system to be working

A:Where to find CLEAN Windows 8 "default user" profile?

i wold suggest creating a bootable anti-virus scan,
https://www.google.ca/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=...+virus+scanner

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/54965-where-find-clean-windows-8-default-user-profile.html
Relevancy 79.12%

A close friend and his wife are having a problem, and I being not that familiar with XP was hoping you could help.

They have I believe 5 profiles on their computer that seem to work properly, with the exception of an error they all get on logout:

Error: Failed to set Data for 'CPL Top'

To me it sounds like a system resource registry setting missing its required setting, like a field parameter in a document.

Could you please help me.

A:Windows XP User With a "Failed to set Data for 'CPL Top'" Error on logout

Hi and welcome. Seems to be related to the control panel, but I can't find any information on it.

EDIT: Found this info for Windows ME, am wondering if following the renaming instructions might fix it?

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=276405&sd=RMVP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-user-with-a-failed-to-set-data-for-cpl-top-error-on-logout.381166/
Relevancy 79.12%

Hi.

I accidentally pulled the plug out of my computer when it was in the middle of shutting down. Now that I've tried to reboot it, I get a screen saying:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode With Networking
Safe Mode With Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration
Start Windows Normally

Whenever I click on any of the options above, I always ends up back at the same screen, suggest the above options again. I've tried rebooting I again a few times but nothing works?

Any ideas?
Thanks.

Relevancy 79.12%

Hey peoples, i've just reinstalled windows (mylast installed killed itself).
I backed up my documents and settings folder (dads important business stuff in there). After installing this fresh copy of windows. I realised that dad had made the acount private.
OUCH! I'm in trouble!!!!
Theres a lot of stuf fin there we really need (most of its backed up though, thank god).
It wont let me access it. Anyone know how to get in? is it even possible!?

I really need this to work guys, plz help!

Thanks!

A:Windows XP "Private User" Problem. Cant access VERY IMPORTANT FILES. NEED HELP ASAP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-private-user-problem-cant-access-very-important-files-need-help-asap.249194/
Relevancy 78.69%

Picked up a cisco a/b/g card on Ebay for my daughters laptop.

Works great, however I used to have separate user accounts (myself as administrator) and her own, just so I could ensure settings would not be changed by accident.

After installing the drivers, only the administrator account is usable. I can't seem to figure out how to configure so that they all still work. To be able to logoff and logon under a different account is what I want. It's definitely something to do with the Cisco card settings, not the computer.

Would really appreciate if someone could give me any ideas how to configure so that those accounts work.

Thanks

Relevancy 78.69%

I recently installed an SSD in my PC, and did a fresh install of Windows 7 in the process. I unplugged the HD with the existing install of Windows 7 during the installation process, and plugged it back in after.

Now I'm trying to retrieve some settings for an app I had on my previous installation. But when I go to my old Windows 7 boot drive (now D: ) and try to access the AppData folder, it seems to be showing me the contents of my current AppData folder on C: instead.

Is this what Windows does? If so, is there any way around it, so I can retrieve the application data that I'm after?

A:Do Windows 7 user settings get "aliased" after an upgrade?

Quote: Originally Posted by OneTwoThree

I recently installed an SSD in my PC, and did a fresh install of Windows 7 in the process. I unplugged the HD with the existing install of Windows 7 during the installation process, and plugged it back in after.

Now I'm trying to retrieve some settings for an app I had on my previous installation. But when I go to my old Windows 7 boot drive (now D: ) and try to access the AppData folder, it seems to be showing me the contents of my current AppData folder on C: instead.

Is this what Windows does? If so, is there any way around it, so I can retrieve the application data that I'm after?

What are the exact steps that you're taking to access it from start to finish?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/273422-do-windows-7-user-settings-get-aliased-after-upgrade.html
Relevancy 78.69%

I work at a local public access tv station where people come in and make there own tv show then have it aired. We are getting a lot of files piling up that are from past members and past projects and want to make it so that they MUST use their own storage and whatever they do/change when they are on the computer is deleted/restored, so I want to make a temporary user account. This account type seems to be just what we need and it is builtin to Windows but the only guides that I can find are how to disable it, not set it up.

So to summarise, I need help setting up a temporary user account in Windows 7 Pro

Thanks
Justin

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/383158-how-do-i-make-temporary-user-account-windows-7-pro.html
Relevancy 78.69%

trying to see the hidden folders, I accidentally checked the hidden box. Now Windows 7 has hidden my userid folders. How can I get it back. I tried restoring it from the copy of this morning but it won't. Help from a person that should have known better.

A:I accidentally checked the "Hidden" box for userid under "network/user

Are you saying that you right clicked and toggled the hidden box from the properties window?
Or was this something you did in folder properties.
I'm a little fuzzy on exactly what you've done here.
A screenshot would be helpful, you can attach them here easily using the paperclip icon.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/224117-i-accidentally-checked-hidden-box-userid-under-network-user.html
Relevancy 78.69%

Earlier today I turned on my Toshiba laptop Satellite P -S and got some sort of error screen and then it brought me to a screen asking if I wanted to do a system repair or start windows normally I chose system repair but then it seemed to get stuck in that process It was taking forever and nothing was happening so I turned off the laptop I know big no no booted in safe mode and did a system restore to a restore point from about a week ago The quot starting Windows quot screen came and went no problem Everything seemed fine till I got to the User Selection screen the default blue one with the little hummingbird or whatever Then it just sat there on that screen I could see the hummingbird and the little squiggly lines but there were no buttons to click my user I just let it sit there and after about minutes the user names popped up and Windows takes the screen 7 user forever load select user/switch to I was able to continue using the computer without any problems no other speed Windows 7 takes forever to load the select user/switch user screen issues whatsoever It now makes me wait every time always about Windows 7 takes forever to load the select user/switch user screen minutes before the user names pop up It does this when I restart the machine and when I try to switch users It is a Pentium Core i Ghz GB RAM Windows Home Premium bit Let me know if you need any other specs Any ideas Thanks Tim

A:Windows 7 takes forever to load the select user/switch user screen

Work through these steps for Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start.

The steps begin with disinfection from Safe Mode or boot disk, since if Win7 is badly infected it may not repair until cleaned up. Then everything possible to start it is sequenced.

I would also do the hardware tests provided before rescuiing the data to run Recovery or get the superior Clean Reinstall.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/274499-windows-7-takes-forever-load-select-user-switch-user-screen.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Hi, I have two user accounts used by my wife and myself and Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) works fine on both user accounts. Very occasionally our daughters visit and use our pc. They use the Guest account. I just happened to log into the Guest account and got a pop up message saying that Microsoft Security Client User Interface has stopped working. When I closed the message I noticed that the MSE icon was missing from the Notification Area. When I tried to open MSE from the Start Menu I just got the pop up message again and MSE would not open.

I would add that I have no other anti-virus software running on my pc apart from MSE.

I would appreciate any help that anyone could give me

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/300805-security-client-user-interface-has-stopped-working-message-guest-user-account.html
Relevancy 77.83%

I have Windows XP Pro, SP3.

I always hear about the user profile in Windows, and that it stores all kinds of user information, and user preferences. I don't know exactly where this information this is stored, or how it stores this information. Can somebody please explain this to me? It can't be too in depth.

Thank you,

royeo

A:What is the name of the file that is the "user profile" in Windows

Everything under your name in Documents and Settings.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-is-the-name-of-the-file-that-is-the-user-profile-in-windows.807298/
Relevancy 77.83%

Current setup
- Windows XP Pro SP2
- Joined to a Domain

Issue: I'm trying to enable "Power Users" to install software and devices so I'm not bothered day and night for my admin rights. I've gone under Local Security Settings > Local Policies > Load and unload device drivers and have added "Power Users" and I get nothing.

I've added even "Users" and "Everyone" and still nobody is able to install software or drivers. When "Users" are added people are able to add local printers however.

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas? I'm at a complete loss. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 77.83%

After setting up an application to "Run as other user" is there a way to have the Username, password and domain boxes already filled in with the appropriate info so the user doesnt have to fill that in every time??

Thanks!!

A:Windows 2000 "Run as other user" question

there should be an option to save the password or somthing like that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-2000-run-as-other-user-question.166612/
Relevancy 77.83%

quot dependency chain quot quot windows quot internet quot windows explorer quot At the time of this writing this search in Google will produce one result at best Am I searching the wrong things I have tried a couple handfuls of variants and "dependency 7" chain" internet "windows explorer" "windows I am coming up with zilch Though I am fairly well versed in Windows from working on other people's machines I decided to stick with good old XP because of one issue above "dependency chain" "windows 7" internet "windows explorer" all else When I instructed my firewall to block Windows Explorer from accessing the Internet it completely cut me off from the Internet no ifs ands or buts My understanding of why this is happened leads me to believe the dependency chain for Internet access goes through Windows Explorer I have long had a habit of blocking my File Manager of choice access to the Internet because well it's a file manager Admittedly my one experience with Windows on my own machine was a retired student version of Server R but as soon as I found out that was the case I decided not to make the move to Windows and went back to my XP installation I believe I was using Sunbelt Personal Firewall at the time I now use PCTools Free Firewall Is this still the case with Windows Is there a workaround if it is I haven't tried to recreate this on another person's machine KronKyrios

A:"dependency chain" "windows 7" internet "windows explorer"

Hi KronKyrios, welcome to 7F!

I did find some very old information that may shed some light:
http://www.pctools.com/forum/showthread.php?17198-explorer.exe-(W98)&p=58079#post58079

"Launch Browser Windows in a Separate Process" Setting Is Not Available in Internet Explorer 5.01 or Internet Explorer 5.5

You can go into Services and check:
Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)
Network Connections
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Windows Management Instrumentation

R-click on each one, then Properties, then the Dependencies Tab.
You would have to cross check each one that is listed.

Here is a good list to help you: Black Viper’s Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Service Configurations

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/206824-dependency-chain-windows-7-internet-windows-explorer.html
Relevancy 77.83%

These are in Firefox. I'd like to turn off all of these dumbo messages. If you know how, please let me know how too.

Thanks,
Burt

A:How do I turn off "Share Location," "Allow Full screen,"

Follow this guide from Mozilla support: https://Permissions Manager - Give certain websites the ability to store passwords, set cookies and more | support.mozilla.org
You can set individual web sites or you can do like I did and follow the second part of the guide and set for "all sites". You'll see the settings to ask or block either request to the right.

For further exploration try typing about:about into the address bar, be careful using the resulting page, all the links are mozilla/firefox related; Some of the links are benign, and others can get you into trouble.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/374450-how-do-i-turn-off-share-location-allow-full-screen.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Hey guys.
Can you pleas explain me what does Hardware Acceleration means and why is that when it is turned on, it causes a green screen on the video (with audio working).
It happened to me once in YouTube, where I had to go in to settings and unpick the "Enable Hardware Acceleration", then it worked!
And 2nd time similar thing happened in Cyberlink PowerDirector 10, when I imported .mp4 and flv video files and it showed me green screen with audio. After unpicking "Enable Hardware Decoding " it was fixed.
My Sony VAIO has:
CPU - Intel Core i5 M430 2.27GHz
RAM - 4GB
GPU - AMD Radeon HD 6500M/5600/5700
Does this mean that I have a problem with my hardware, or maybe I need to set up something??? to ba able to use Hardware Acceleration. As I understand I should be able to use it!!??

Thank you
Have a nice day

A:Enabled "Hardware Acceleration" causes "green screen"

I don't know what the problem is but the only time I had this issue is when I installed a VM and get black screen on youtube so I had to enable that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/218469-enabled-hardware-acceleration-causes-green-screen.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hi,

I have several icons/files from my "User" folder showing up in the "Computer" folder (several in duplicate), PLUS numerous blank icons...

This seems to have occurred after the Common Files folder became corrupted, after I somewhat riskily decided to power off while Vista was attempting to come out of Sleep mode - it had already taken about 3 mins and I was in a hurry - bad move, I know. That delay appears to have been due to an old version of Online Armor, and has now been fixed (by an update). Chkdsk scanned and (apparently) corrected some errors, and I also ran SFC which said it had corrected some errors but had also found some that it couldn't correct. Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

A:Icons/Files from "User" folder showing up in "Computer" folder

Hello Aster, and welcome to Vista Forums.

You might see if doing a system restore using a restore point dated before this happened may be able to fix it.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/261502-icons-files-user-folder-showing-up-computer-folder.html
Relevancy 77.4%

Hello , I recently changed my username in win-7, beside changing it in the "User account" panel, I also changed the user profile folder and registry entry for that, the only thing I could not change is the value in "Net users"...

The problem that I have with that is wen trying to login remotely with RDP I still need to use the old username.
I know I can add a new user but can I change the exiting entry instead? what is it exactly? what's the difference between "Net users" and "User accounts" ?

Thank you.

A:"User accounts" and "Net users"

Hi, when you first install windows it cretes a user who is registered owner , you need to change this to your new registered owner or it will crop up all over the place. Open regedit do the appropriate backup first and navigate to this key:-

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion in the right pane locate the entry for registered owner(may also have registered organisation populated as well) and right click select modify, type your new user name in the value data box.

For net user have a look through this:-
http://www.slashroot.in/command-line-user-administration-tutorial-windows-user

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/user-accounts-and-net-users.1124783/
Relevancy 76.97%

My office just upgraded and I can no longer use Windows XP On this system I was able to add a separate taskbar to facilitate quick access to commonly-browsed folder locations on our vast network and another one expedited the launching of useful programs and lists Each task on each taskbar was represented with a big custom icon to save eye strain I had them installed in opposite vertical margins and they "Launchpads", to "Toolbars" for "Docks" (MSese "TASKBARS" NOT add Need were set on auto-hide to keep them out of the way when not being used Just move your mouse pointer to the left or right margin and BAM Sorry for the cliche but I really got used to the convenience of what I had set up and I just don't think I Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars" can be as efficient without anything comparable Now there appears to be nothing comparable in the Windows GUI and it's making me sick with rage I see only the option to put a quot toolbar quot on an existing quot taskbar quot and no option to create any additional taskbars This cramps up your one-and-only taskbar plus the tiny toolbar access buttons require way too much precision for anything that's supposed to be quick When you've figured out how to bring up that ridiculous button the list that it yields is small enough to cause painful eyestrain - nothing efficient much less cool about this at all I have seen customization options in other OS GUIs that may have resolved some of these issues but I see none such in W I have tried every google search string that I can think of and found no answer that deals with anything other than adding that stupid toolbar to the only taskbar that Microsoft will allow you in W So If I'm wrong and have missed some options how do I access them Otherwise I'm hoping there are developers who know what I am talking about and have software to enable the creation of separate taskbars launchpads Can anybody help with either

A:Need to add "TASKBARS" (MSese for "Launchpads", "Docks" NOT "Toolbars"

Several possibilities here: Second taskbar in windows7? [Solved] - Windows 7 - Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/306313-need-add-taskbars-msese-launchpads-docks-not-toolbars.html
Relevancy 76.97%

hi i m new here nice to meet all of you just like a lot of folks i m sure i ve come here because there are some weird things running on and "winsilly" disk" "win956temp" "windows no my pc that shouldnt be in there please help heres the hijack log thanks in advance i don t know much about this computer virus stuff eric Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v "windows no disk" and "winsilly" "win956temp" SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Dantz Retrospect retrorun exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System "windows no disk" and "winsilly" "win956temp" ZoneLabs vsmon exe C WINDOWS System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update "windows no disk" and "winsilly" "win956temp" OB realsched exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM qttask exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C PROGRA VERIZO HELPSU VERIZO EXE C PROGRA VERIZO HELPSU SMARTB MotiveSB exe C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe C PROGRA Sony SONICS SsAAD exe C Program Files Common Files Verizon Online ConnMgr cmisrv exe C Program Files Windows Media Components Encoder Wmencagt exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs isafe exe C Program Files Common Files Verizon Online AppMgr vzOpenUIServer exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Common Files MotiveBrowser MotiveBrowser exe C Documents and Settings Wave Computer Local Settings Temp HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http g msn com SEENUS SAOS R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http lvboard arcynic net index php R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C WINDOWS SYSTEM blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Verizon Online R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride lt local gt O - BHO Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - EFB- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C PROGRAM FILES ADOBE ACROBAT READER ACTIVEX ACROIEHELPER OCX O - BHO no name - B F FDF- - BF-B D- F C FE - C WINDOWS system admparsek dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO ST - EDE -C B - E- - BF AF E - C Program Files MSN Apps ST en-xu stmain dll O - BHO no name - A F C C- A - DB - AF -B E D - C WINDOWS compstuih dll O - BHO MSNToolBandBHO - BDBD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files MSN Apps MSN Toolbar en-us msntb dll O - Toolbar MSN - BDAD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files MSN Apps MSN Toolbar en-us msntb dll O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - HKLM Run SystemTray SysTray Exe O - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINDOWS System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C WINDOWS SYSTEM qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run A Verizon App C PROGRA VERIZO HELPSU VERIZO EXE O - HKLM Run Motive SmartBridge C PROGRA VERIZO HELPSU SMARTB MotiveSB exe O - HKLM Run Zone Labs Client C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe O - HKLM Run SsAAD exe C PROGRA Sony SONICS SsAAD exe O - HKCU Run msnmsgr quot C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe quot background O - HKCU Run googletalk quot C Program Files Google Google Talk googletalk exe quot autostart O - Global Startup Adobe Gamma Loader exe lnk C Pro... Read more

Relevancy 76.97%

Hi,

When our website users click on an html attachment embedded on a web-page in IE9, the download manager will not display the "Open" option. It will only display "Save" and "Cancel" which our users don't like, having to save the
html document in a folder to open it. Whereas, when downloading attachments like pdf, word etc. all three options are displayed. 

Is there any setting to tweak , which will display all the 3 options for HTML attachments as well?

A:IE9 download manager will not display "Open" option (only "Save" and "Cancel" is displayed) for downloading HTML documents.

Hi,
As you know, the Open-Save-Cancel dialog box helps you prevent your computer from affecting by virus while downloading. 
So I suggest you test to reset all zones to a lower level temporarily and then please attempt to download this html attachment again.

However, since you can normally download the other documents, I suspect there is some restriction in the website which you are trying to view. I recommend you to contact the administrator of that website if possible.
could you please send me the link of the website from where you are trying to download the html attachment?
Thanks!

We
are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this
interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3094ac49-8d49-4a60-a7cf-fb12c823e500/ie9-download-manager-will-not-display-quotopenquot-option-only-quotsavequot-and?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 76.97%

Howdy All -
I'm thinking I'm not the first nor the last to have MS trick me into changing my User Name from Local to (in my case) an outlook.com email account. Now I'm forced to sign in every time I log on. And FWIW, I prefer to be fully in charge of my devices.
-
I surely would appreciate some guidance on the proper way to switch back to a Local User and disassociate my computer from outlook.com. Many thanks in advance for reading this and all replies.

Best,
/jdU

A:Proper (Safe) way to change from "Microsoft.com" User to Local User

Settings>>Accounts>>Under your Microsoft Account listing, click on "Change to a Local account instead".

Local Account - Switch to in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/49640-proper-safe-way-change-microsoft-com-user-local-user.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi I'm getting this error message I did a google search and found this You receive a quot The User Profile Service failed the logon But did not help me I also did a search here and found a few topics with this error message though they didn't solve my problem either because mine problem seems to be different I can login to existing accounts But I can't login to new ones So when I go to the registry editor there's no folder for the new accounts They just don't exist at all Only the existing ones I create failed..." user accounts create Can't service profile "The new user a new user account at the Users menu in Control panel and they show up at login screen When I click them it starts the waiting icon saying quot Logging in quot then after a few seconds this error message pops up I can click OK and then it says quot logging off quot and goes Can't create new user accounts "The user profile service failed..." back to the login screen I do have access to an administrator account and a standard account I can log in to both I don't have any system restore points before this started happening i'm using ESET Smart Security as my antivirus but I don't think it's causing the problem I uninstalled it and it didn't work then either so I reinstalled it back Please help me what could be wrong

A:Can't create new user accounts "The user profile service failed..."

Can you yell us when the problem started and were you on the system when it is doing this if so what were you doing when it started.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/362154-cant-create-new-user-accounts-user-profile-service-failed.html