Windows Support Forum

Tower tipped over, boot issues

Q: Tower tipped over, boot issues

I tipped my tower over and I can't get to the desktop. I have a fan that is not working, so it typically brings up an error screen when booting that I exit out of and start automatically. Now it does the same but brings me to a blue screen after with the options of continue to windows 8.1, restart, or shut down. Every option just loops me back to the error screen followed by the blue screen.

I opened the case and made sure everything was tight, and while I'm no expert, it looks okay. Anything I can do? Any ideas?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/tower-tipped-over-boot-issues-1057810.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Tower tipped over, boot issues

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 55.47%

my entire screen (meaning display) is tilted. in other words, i have to tilt my head at a 90 degree angle to see clearly. i dont know why- i accidently mashed some keys on my keyboard and it happened. help would be appreciated!

Relevancy 54.18%

This morning I turned my computer upside down on my carpet to fix a slow leak at the drain plug of my water cooled computer I need to use some epoxy on the slight crack at the drain so after fixing it I left for work with the computer still upside down I still had water in the system and couldn t replace the plug until the epoxy hardened When I got home from work the computer was on it s side somehow it fell over Since it is water cooled it s rather heavy so I suspect the whole computer took quite a shock Did we have an earthquake sometime yesterday When I set it back up and booted it up the fans work the pumps for the water work the mobo s lights work the hard drives spin up but that s is as far as it gets No beeps No POST screen nothing on the monitor at all I cleared the CMOS tipped now but and doesn't Computer Solved: over up POST fires removed the battery removed all of the RAM but stick removed the hard drives that didn t have the OS on it removed of the video cards removed the CD and DVD drives and just went with a bare bones set up Same thing no beeps POST ect The only thing I noticed when I set the computer back on my desk was that the speaker switch and the power LED switch were pulled out of the motherboard and the pins were slightly bent I straightened them and plugged everything back in and still the computer runs but doesn t boot the OS Can anyone think of anything else I should try nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

I have an eMachines T which I use as up boot Tower Need help. won't a file server I normally leave it running continuously but I inadvertently shut off the breaker to that room while replacing an electrical switch When I tried to restart the computer it won t go It s getting power The fan in the power supply runs but the hard drive doesn t seem to kick in The monitor displays the eMachine logo and says quot Bios information Need help. Tower won't boot up lt F gt quot Need help. Tower won't boot up which doesn t work When I restart the fans kick on but after a couple of seconds - just about long enough for the logo to display on the monitor - but then already the pitch or whine of the fans begins slowing down as it returns to it s resting mode I also tried putting a setup disk in the optical drive but although the drive spins it won t go into the boot mode so it s not looking at those drives I ve tried it more than a dozen times - completely cutting power powering it down and back on using the power button unplugging and plugging back in Nada Someone told me to replace the power supply but I thought I d check here to see if anyone has any experience with this problem Would appreciate any advice or tips Note I do routinely blow the dust out of the fans and from the case It stays very clean since it s in an unused room and it doesn t even get very dusty The company server at work gets a dust buildup like dryer lint about every two weeks but mine wouldn t get THAT dirty in a whole year if I didn t blow it out from time to time so I don t think dirt is an issue unless it s really deep inside the power supply nbsp

A:Need help. Tower won't boot up

Your eMachines is one of those with the infamous failing motherboard. The motherboard failure eventually causes the power supply to fail, and your symptoms are simlar to what we have seen a great number of times... well over 125 times, and we have a lot of failed eMachines in our barn awaiting resolution. Your hard drive, memory, cpu and heatsink are likely still good, and you can rescue the data. But it is possible your motherboard will not work properly again. You might borrow a power supply to test, but I would not waste money on one.
eMachines wants $179 plus shipping for the board, plus $75 for the power supply.

It could also be something as simple as a bad hard drive, and a replacement for $50 or $60 from Newegg, Directron, TigerDirect, Outpost, or ZipZoomfly will take care of it. You can probably still recover the data off the old drive by placing it in an external USB enclosure. Borrow or buy, you can always use another hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-tower-wont-boot-up.122938/
Relevancy 50.31%

hi, I am going to upgrade my graphic card to ATI 5770 so I need a new power supply which has power about 550--600 watt. But the most frustrating problem is that I failed to find a proper power supply with the correct dimension.
I have an HP pavilion e9300 which uses a very wired power supply tower-150mm(W) 86(H) 140(D). But so far all the PSUs I found is the standard size --150mm(W) 86(H) 150(D) which cannot fit in my setup.

So could any PC God give me some suggestion, please??
Is any PSU with the size of my tower or can I just simply install a bigger PSU which can still successfully power up the comptuer?

Thx in adance.

A:Power supply bigger than the tower - frustrated by HP PSU tower

If the power supply will physically fit your case, it should work fine with your computer. Will the extra 10mm interfere internally with anything inside the PC?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/power-supply-bigger-than-the-tower-frustrated-by-hp-psu-tower.148841/
Relevancy 50.31%

Hello experts,
I am really frustrated with my dell optiplex 745. I have been endeavoring to get on when I replaced the power supply but with no success. I have also changed the motherboard and again nothing to be happening. The dell powers up just fine and then the cooling fan goes noisy. There is a green light in the front panel show showing the numbers; 1, 3,  and 4.  I would be grateful if you can help me with this issue.

A:Dell optiplex 745 tower won't boot

Beep code

1-3-1 through 2-4-4
Memory not being properly identified or used

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/optiplex-745/manuals
Power button Solid Amber is Bad CPU/Motherboard.
Power button blinking Amber is Bad Power supply.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19982859
Relevancy 50.31%

Hi, In our computer labs we use an iSCSI boot method with a copy-on-write (COW) partition attached. This allows us to have a single base image and an individual COW for each coputer in the lab. Upon reboot the COW is rebuilt and the OS is like brand new. We previously had DELLs but now we have switched to HPs but we cannot get the iSCSI target to connect for the initial OS (Windows 7 Enterprise) setup. I have the latest, correct, drivers from HP's website for this system. Please help. Cheers,Brent

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/iSCSI-boot-EliteBook-800-G2-Tower/td-p/5780241
Relevancy 50.31%

Okay so my friend wants me to fix his old Dell Tower because it won't boot. I press the power button and the green light on it turns on, but nothing shows up on the monitor, its not the monitor I've tried multiple ones. I cant tell if its a boot problem or a graphics problem or what. I'm really not that good at hardware on computers so try to speak as English as possible please, thanks for the help!

Relevancy 49.88%

Hello my name is Sebastian Todd, I've been using my dell computer for more than 2 years now with absolutely no problems affecting it, due to my proper maintenance. About 1 month ago, I turned it off by clicking the "shut down" button. Ever since then, I haven't been able to turn it back on. When I push the power button on the tower, it emits a yellow/orange light for about a quarter of a second. I know for a fact that there is a sufficient power supply, due to the green light being emitted on the back of the tower. I don't know what to do, and am not economically ready to purchase a new computer. PLEASE HELP! (inspiron 545)

- Sebastian Todd

A:Dell Tower won't turn on/boot - (inspiron 545)

sebtodd
Does the power supply fan run/work?
The green light on the back of the power supply does not indicate that the power supply has not failed, it only indicates that power is reaching the PSU. What colour is the power button light, is it Blinking, Solid or Off?Are there any 'Beeps'?
 The Inspiron 535/537/545/546 Service Manual, is here:
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-546_Service%20Manual_en-us.pdf
The Troubleshooter, is here:
ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_inspiron_desktop/inspiron-546_Setup%20Guide_en-us.pdf
Bev.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19577721
Relevancy 49.88%

Brand New HP Z240 Tower Workstation with HP Solid State Drive will not BOOTHP diagnosticsHard Drive SMART Check: WARNING (1: NOT AVAILABLE)Hard Drive Short DST Check: NOT AVAILABLE (1: NOT AVAILABLE)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/No-Boot-Device-HP-Z240-Tower-Workstation/td-p/5592736
Relevancy 49.88%

Hello all,  I have an HP 8300 Small Form Factor computer. I would like to install Windows 7 using a trio of DVD - RW disks.  When I install the first of 3 disk into the DVD drive and the files start loading then the loading screen show on my monitor as normal. Simultaneously I hear a small whirring sound that turns into a loud whirring sound. I suspected it was my HDD so I replaced it. Yet on my next reboot with the new HDD the whirring noise continued. Now i suspect it is my DVD - ROM drive.  Is there anything else that can be causing a noise like this? All comments are welcome!    

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Whirring-noise-coming-from-my-tower-as-I-boot/td-p/5792597
Relevancy 49.45%

I need to retrieve some old info from my old tower. Is it possible to hook the old tower to the new one and use it as a big memory bank? And if so, how do I do it?

A:Hooking old tower to new tower to retrieve old programs

This TCP/IP Home Networking and File Sharing Tutorial should get you started.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hooking-old-tower-to-new-tower-to-retrieve-old-programs.613660/
Relevancy 49.02%

Client's tower seems to boot to BIOS but does not continue to Win 7 OS. Long continuous "beep". Nothing shows now on screen, was showing BIOS but not now. Screen notice say "No signal". Graphics adapter built on MB and only one open exp. slot and that is for PCI Express mini card. Any thoughts? I'm thinking MB graphics is dead. Client say it just quit displaying a few days ago after being shut down for the weekend. Screen is known good one in my shop.

A:Gateway DX4860 tower has steady alarm and dos not boot from

Start here.Computer never stops beeping or has solid beephttp://www.computerhope.com/issues/...

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-7/gateway-dx4860-tower-has-steady-alarm-and-dos-not-boot-from/19517.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Forgot to ask this in my last thread. Is there any difference between a mid-tower ATX case and a full-tower other than height? Thanks.

Relevancy 42.14%

Hello I am having problems with direct booting into Windows installed into a VHDX file Possible After Black Fixing Screen Boot From Menu Manager][SOLVED] Only F12 UEFI Booting POST. [Boot Boot Issues: BIOS BIOS This is a four-partition UEFI boot on a GPT drive EFI files are residing on a second partition of disk the ESP partition [Boot Manager][SOLVED] Fixing UEFI Boot Issues: Black Screen After BIOS POST. Booting Only Possible From BIOS F12 Boot Menu in the EFI [Boot Manager][SOLVED] Fixing UEFI Boot Issues: Black Screen After BIOS POST. Booting Only Possible From BIOS F12 Boot Menu folder The boot virtual nbsp disk is residing on the fourth partition of that disk When I turn on the PC it shows black screen after the BIOS POST screen No Windows boot menu no other information is displayed However if I press Shift F or F to start Dell BIOS Boot Menu and choose Windows Boot Manager from the UEFI part of the boot menu Windows starts to boot without difficulties How do I make Windows to boot automatically without having to select Windows Boot Manager in DELL BIOS boot menu I believe I messed up with boot sector somehow What needs to be fixed provided that Windows will boot into VHDX file Thank you Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0c77735a-be10-4e1e-a4c1-568917f4a54f/boot-managersolved-fixing-uefi-boot-issues-black-screen-after-bios-post-booting-only-possible?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 41.71%

About issues error issues, Hard drive Boot a month ago my hard drive froze up and I replaced it with a Western Digital Caviar Black gb Sata drive I used an external USB hard drive enclosure to Boot issues, Hard drive error issues remove files etc the old hard drive still worked just wouldn t boot the OS Well since then I had problems with boot up At first it was just that restart wouldn t work out of Windows XP The motherboard would beep display it s identity and stop Sometimes it would stop after detecting the CPU and the memory but not continue on to even look for the Hard drive or anyother bootable device Now it takes two three sometimes four tries to get it to proceed to detect Boot issues, Hard drive error issues the hard drives and occasionally freezes on the Welcome screen to XP When I check the event viewer it Boot issues, Hard drive error issues seems to get into loops of security checks running the same one over and over The last time I checked the System events it showed none prior to the current boot up I am also getting hard drive errors No bad sectors just corrupted files and messed up index entries System Amd Athlon MHz about years old Winfast NF SK AA Motherboard GB Ram x Kingston x Lifetime Asus branded - Nvidia GeForce GS Windows XP Home SP I am also having no problems once the computer actually boots no BSOD s nothing untoward Also after it s going awhile seems to start and stop no problem It s feeling like an old car right now I am wondering whether to replace the current generic W DEER Computer Company ltd power supply with a corsair W model Looking at the Motherboard everything looks clean and appropriate ie no oozing crystallized gunk or anything like that I have not run memtest and will do that at some point too Virus scans keep coming up clean Any thoughts would be helpful nbsp

A:Boot issues, Hard drive error issues

First, I would certainly change out your power supply because generic ones are often garbage. There are tremendous deals in the 450-550 range reputable psu's.

Second, check out this superb tutorial on USB by LookinAround: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic122125.html

Third, run ChkDsk.

Fourth, I think it would be good for you to run a harddrive diagnostics. Your manufacturer will provide a free utility to do so.

* By the way, I have the same cpu on my second rig and it is a solid one. Steady as she goes...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/boot-issues-hard-drive-error-issues.128326/
Relevancy 40.85%

I turned my computer on this morning and usually it does a simple whirring of the fans a couple beeps and it s fine This morning however the fans kept whirring and whirring with a blank screen- It wouldn t boot I manually rebooted and this time it loaded but didn t produce an input signal on the monitor I asked :( Motherboard the Issues. it. Boot isn't Issues. It's Ineternet a forum I use for random questions and someone had a similar problem claiming it was the motherboard I don t want to replace a quad-core Boot Issues. Ineternet Issues. It's the Motherboard isn't it. :( is there anything else it could be It booted fine this time around but it seems that every morning it has issues to start with I recently updated Windows but I don t think that would effect it as it happened once before I haven t updated graphics drivers recently though - a possibility Also my internet keeps cutting out the reconnecting itself I think it could be related This bugs me I ve had to replace my HDD and my GFX card and now this -sigh- I d appreciate any input you guys have Specs coming up nbsp

A:Boot Issues. Ineternet Issues. It's the Motherboard isn't it. :(

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-issues-ineternet-issues-its-the-motherboard-isnt-it.893528/
Relevancy 40.42%

Hi I really need some help here My system has two drives SSD C drive where my win OS boots from call this normal win HDD D drive where I keep my data No issues hard boot manager disk. with virtual Boot windows I created a D virtual win vhd file and installed win on it for testing purposes following these instructions Virtual Hard Drive VHD File - Create and Boot issues with virtual hard disk. No windows boot manager Start with at Boot When I boot I get no boot menu asking me to choose either between normal win or virtual win install By default it boots into virtual win To boot into normal win I need to press F at reboot to enter into Boot Boot issues with virtual hard disk. No windows boot manager Menu and select it I thought I would be presented with a boot menu at reboot each Boot issues with virtual hard disk. No windows boot manager time Those instructions I followed in the link told me the boot manager would be present So I got a feeling something went wrong somewhere These are some things I observed I installed EasyBCD within normal win and it only has one entry listed in the bootloader HTML Code Entry Name Windows BCD ID current Drive C Bootloader Path Windows system winload exe Within System gt Advanced System Settings gt Advanced gt Startup and Recovery there is also only one entry In Disk Management within normal win the vhd does not appear Questions What do I need to do to get the boot menu manager going when I reboot my system to allow OS selection Why doesn't the vhd appear in Disk Management within normal win Is it because it is being dynamically mounted each time it is booted into I thought the vhd would display persistently within Disk Management There is another thing I noticed When i boot into virtual win my D drive is renamed as E drive This now appears as a system drive which I think is because my vhd is being mounted from it I tried to change the drive letter of E back to D but it won't allow me to do this for obvious reasons as it is now a system drive I really need to get it to be drive D again reasons are because I need to run lots of code on D which has lots of absolute paths set and other reasons I thought I could solve this by copying my vhd to my SSD using normal win Then boot into virtual win and rename the drive E back to D But I don't want to break anything How do I do this Any help very much appreciated V

A:Boot issues with virtual hard disk. No windows boot manager

I guess everyone is using win8 these days, or my question is at the cutting edge of technology that no one knows the answer

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/319996-boot-issues-virtual-hard-disk-no-windows-boot-manager.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Okay so I didn t screw up everything but I can t get my boot menu situation straight I have a dual boot of windows xp pro and windows vista business I used EasyBCD to edit my boot menu this way my boot menu listed Windows XP and Windows Vista and it would default to Windows XP The + Windows Xp Menu Boot issues Dual Vista Boot problem now is that I can access F options on windows vista but not on windows xp I messed Dual Boot Windows Xp + Vista Boot Menu issues around Dual Boot Windows Xp + Vista Boot Menu issues with my boot ini for xp but can t get it to do what i want it to do This was my boot ini setup after using EasyBCD - Warning Boot ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems Warning Use BCDEDIT exe to Dual Boot Windows Xp + Vista Boot Menu issues modify Windows Vista boot options boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Windows XP Professional quot NOEXECUTE OPTIN FASTDETECT When the boot ini is listed as above it will automatically just go to Windows XP I want to have my F options back in case I need to get into safe mode I modified the boot ini to do this - Warning Boot ini is used on Windows XP and earlier operating systems Warning Use BCDEDIT exe to modify Windows Vista boot options boot loader timeout default multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS operating systems multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Windows XP Professional quot NOEXECUTE OPTIN FASTDETECT multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Safe Mode quot safeboot minimal sos bootlog noguiboot multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Safe Mode Networking quot safeboot network sos bootlog noguiboot multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot Safe Mode CMD Prompt quot safeboot minimal alternateshell sos bootlog noguiboot multi disk rdisk partition WINDOWS quot XP Pro Debug quot debug sos basevideo noguiboot bootlog Now when the boot menu comes up and says I can boot into Win Xp or Win Vista it defaults to Win Xp like it is suppose to but brings up all those options that I added to the boot ini So instead of booting straight to windows xp it gives me another menu screen with all the options I just added to the boot ini When it brings up the second boot menu for Windows Xp it shows all the options that I added the normal XP option I can hit F and it will bring up the normal list of safe mode and debug options How can I get the main boot screen Windows Xp option to access those advance options by hitting F instead of going through two menus I m sorry if this in confusing I tried to explain it the best way I could nbsp

A:Dual Boot Windows Xp + Vista Boot Menu issues

This is all you should need to start XP. I suggest lowering the "timeout" to 3 or less. To access your F8 options you should do so immediately after starting the XP-os. (right after this "boot loader" processes.)

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-windows-xp-vista-boot-menu-issues.948385/
Relevancy 40.42%

I am dual booting Win7 Ultimate x64 from a SSD and WinXP Pro x64 from a HDD. After POST, i get to a boot selection screen showing the XP 2003 Server edition (XP x64) and Win7. I could enter Win7 but the default is the setup so if I don't do anything the screen times out after 30 seconds, loads the setup, and BSOD. So whatever. I just use arrow up, select Win7 and I'm fine. BUT, I changed the timeout from 30 to 0 seconds in boot options and now I can't figure out how to get back into Win7. To enter XP, I have to press f11 and select the disk from boot options or else it enters setup and BSOD. I need help on getting settings changed so my PC will automatically boot into Win7 and booting into XP is done as it currently is.

Thanks

A:Dual Boot issues, changing default boot option

Try this: https://neosmart.net/wiki/easybcd/ba...default-entry/

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/311935-dual-boot-issues-changing-default-boot-option.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi all I have an HP Elitebook m for work with Windows pro installed I would like to be able to boot a personal copy of windows from my external usb drive western digital elements so i followed this tutorial How to Run a Portable Version of Windows from a USB Drive and got windows on my drive ok Issue is im having really problems getting the option to boot from the boot allowing Win8 boot USB issues BIOs drive to come up in boot options Basically only the notebook hard drive and PXE are an option UNLESS i go into BIOS and mess about with changing boot settings to and from legacy to UEFI with without CSM Win8 USB boot BIOs issues allowing boot eventually on turning on and off it will give me the option to boot to my drive but its really hit and miss when i get the option all boots into win no problem any ideas to get this Win8 USB boot BIOs issues allowing boot to work better i dont really know the settings im changing and i know messing about too much Win8 USB boot BIOs issues allowing boot in BIOs is bad my external drive has partitions for win and for my other files both are NTFS the laptop came with an internal mSATA which is all formatted to NTFS even system reserved I tried creating a partition of FAT for boot and that hasn't helped same behaviour any help or pointers would be really much appreciated thanks Hawke

A:Win8 USB boot BIOs issues allowing boot

No one got any ideas? ive even tried updating the Bios and still does the same. ive got it down to a fine art changing boot mode, reboot, boot from external. kinda a pain

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/55761-win8-usb-boot-bios-issues-allowing-boot.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Howdy,

I'm having some serious issues with my alienware desktop. Its a decently old computer but hasn't provided me with many problems in the past. Recently, however, I had to transport the computer 4 hours to my new apartment. It was working fine literally yesterday, but after the drive I set it back up and it stopped working.

When I try and boot it, it goes through the BIOS as usual but when it gets to the graphics card boot agent it fails abd guves me a PSX check cable error and fails to even launch windows. I tried different graphics cards, HDD's and even sata cables but nothing helped. Is it a problem with a different cable or perhaps the motherboard? Please help, I need this computer for classes and for work.

I also tried changing the boot priorities in the BIOS but that didnt do anything. . .

Thanks,
Slappy

A:Boot issues with NVidia boot agent

Nvidia boot agent is part of the bios on boards with an nvidia chipset.
PXE error means the computer is trying to boot from the network because
it is not finding a bootable hard drive.
Nothing to do with the graphics.
Make sure the hard drive is actually being detected in the bios and the hard drive
that you are using has windows installed on it.
Check your sata and IDE settings in the bios to make sure the proper
channels are enabled.
A bad CMOS battery may also be an issue for older computers.
That is the small battery on the motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-issues-with-nvidia-boot-agent.1036624/
Relevancy 39.13%

Hey all First time posting here Anyway I just upgraded my system a couple days ago and have been Woes...Boot.ini Boot Dual issues. having several issues First Vista wouldn t recognize my onboard sound and LAN from a fresh install No available drivers go figure So I had to install two copies of Win XP SP and then upgrade one of them to Vista A pain but the only way I could get everything to work properly Now I got Dual Boot Woes...Boot.ini issues. everything where I wanted it life is good Then I m booting into Win XP and I have two identically named Win XP OS s in the bootup screen So as not to confuse my wife I went into the Startup and Recovery options menu Again this is in XP and deleted what I thought was the XP I used as an upgrade to Vista Turns out I got the wrong one Now I can t boot to XP but Vista is working fine Basically when I choose quot Earlier Versions of Windows quot I get HD activity for a moment but then everything seems to halt No responce from the keyboard so I have to do a Hard Re-Boot I tried the recovery console but either I didn t enter the right command or did it properly with no results I also tried to edit the Boot ini directly from Vista but it won t let me save saying quot Access is Denied quot I also tried changing the attributes but got the same message I m at my collective limits on this any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated Matt nbsp

A:Dual Boot Woes...Boot.ini issues.

I have noticed how Vista will take command of that boot screen. It used to be the last OS to be used was the default to boot up, but not nay longer. Vista is the default no matter what.
I have XP, Vista, and Longhorn Server all on a Dell D510 laptop and Vista is always the defualt OS loaded. It's a pain but I have not had a chnace to find a fix.
I think your only solution to is reinstall XP and then load Vista on a Virtual machine (it is now free).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-woes-boot-ini-issues.498783/
Relevancy 35.69%

Recently my XP_pro system which is only 4-5 months old on a new lap top seems to hang for about 2 minutes once the windows desktop shows..Its very odd seems to boot quickly I get the destop and about 2 of the 6 taskbar icons in the bottom right hand side then have to wait for the rest while the hard drive seems to not be doing anything?

All very strange and I dont understand what the holdup is all about? Im just getting the Hikack this log and will post it in a second...

Oh.. hello as well Im a new user, thanks in advance to anyone that tries to help me!

A:XP-Pro issues on boot...?

Here is the Hijack this log file......

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 15:40:21, on 03/10/2007
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXBCES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\LEXPPS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Softwin\BITDEF~1\bdmcon.exe
C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\bdagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\FireTrust\MailWasher Pro\MailWasher.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Communicator\xcommsvr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Update Service\livesrv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Softwin\BitDefender Scan Server\bdss.exe
C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\vsserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\JRW\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\4TYRWLEV\HiJackThis[1].exe

O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BDMCon] C:\PROGRA~1\Softwin\BITDEF~1\bdmcon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BDAgent] "C:\Program Files\Softwin\BitDefender10\bdagent.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Dell QuickSet] C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\quickset.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe Reader Speed Launcher] "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 8.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MsnMsgr] "C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe" /background
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\System32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
O4 - Startup: MailWasherPro.lnk = C:\Program Files\FireTrust\MailWasher Pro\MailWasher.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office12\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_06\bin\ssv.dll
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/wind...?1183389489015
O16 - DPF: {6E32070A-766D-4EE6-879C-DC1FA91D2FC3} (MUWebControl Class) - http://www.update.microsoft.com/micr...?1183392722812
... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/xp-pro-issues-on-boot-185575.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Yesterday I tried to upgrade my pc a bit. It is a PII 33mhz with 64mb ram. It had obtained a 10 gig HDD and popped it in as well as a 64 mb stick of ram which i put next to 2 32 mb sticks. I realized that this would not work so i took it out. two boots later while i was trying to get an xp install going i needed to reboot and on my reboot nothing happened. It will come up with nothing i have no display, it wont attempt to boot the floppy is not acessed. I get nothing i have reseated and moved the ram and cpu changed hdds swiched cables all that good stuff and nothing works Help me!

Relevancy 35.69%

I have an old gateway desktop,windows xp home edition, 1.7 pentium 4,1024 memory, nvidia 7600gs video card,....Im having problems with boot up..doesnt seem to matter wether re-start or booting from off,hangs on log in page ...no image exept for mouse pointer which is not moveable,...will not go to error screen, so I have nothing to go by as far as what the problem is...I have the latest and greatest drivers for video card...
At times it will come right back up...others it will take 5,6,7 bootups to come back up....no problem getting into safe mode,but dont even know what to start trying in safe mode.........
Any ideas would be appreciated

A:Boot issues

Start with chkdsk /f on all drives.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-issues.625701/
Relevancy 35.69%

when booting xp pro from HD my laptop (hp elitebook) dies just before getting to the logon page (BSOD RDR_FILE_SYSTEM)

when booting from xp pro disk it runs through checking the system and dies just before getting to the install/repair/exit screen.

i have all drivers for the laptop backed up and am completly willing to format the HD if i could actually get in to do it.

have tried Darik book and nuke disk (fails due to disk with bad sectors ??)

any suggections for help?

A:Cant Boot issues

If you can't boot to a CD, you might have to pull the drive, install it on another computer and run "chkdsk /r" with it installed as a secondary drive. You'll need an adapter to connect to a 2 1/2" drive, but they're cheap.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-boot-issues-325316.html
Relevancy 35.69%

My girlfriend has a windows pc Not positive on service pack or any of that stuff When the computer is turned on I do not see any sort of POST occur instead we get the hp invent splash screen with options to Setup Boot issues. up Boot Menu System Recovery and Diagnostics The computer will boot no further Trying to enter any of these options in BIOS is impossible which I thought at first due to her wireless keyboard not having been initiated yet in the boot process However I switched keyboards to a wired one and got the same effect Even hitting escape or F before anything comes up on the screen yields only quot Loading Boot Menu quot or whichever option I hit Function key-wise It apparently cannot boot from CD DVD as we have tried just booting straight from the Windows Boot up issues. disc I have a bios version number of if that is helpful at all If there is any more information necessary to tackle this problem just let me know thanks in advance nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-up-issues.1008752/
Relevancy 35.69%

my computer started to have issues boot quite a funny issue I would try to turn it on and it would not do anything except turn on the lights and fan and some scanning could be heard after holding down the button until it turned off and turning it back on many times it booted succesfully the cd drive will not work at start up in order to reboot windows vista i have since done deletions cleanups and defrags now it will turn on successfully after turning it on holding the power button until it turns off once and then turning it on however this works when the cd drive is not clicked in so its out like when one is manually putting in a cd internet has more connectivity issues get kicked off network i can't seem to use safe mode cpu usage tends to be at or near it's an hp pavilion dv also i am notified that avg is turned off or that windows firewall is turned off i turn them on through windows but they will still be considered off i do not get this notification everytime i turn on windows only sometimes

A:boot issues

Hello whatthelisa,I see that you have an HJT log posted here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/227875/confusion/ We do not allow more than one topic for the same computer and the same issue as this causes confusion, and in this case may make the disinfection process more difficult.This leaves you with a choice:1) Have this thread reopened and the HiJack This log topic deletedOR2) Keep this thread closed and wait for assistance in the HiJack This log forum. Please note that that forum is VERY busy.Please send a Private Message indicating your choice.Assuming you wish assistance in the HiJack This forum, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond. Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possibleTo avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.Orange Blossom

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/227879/boot-issues/
Relevancy 35.69%

hey everyone how s it going i ran into some trouble last night my laptop decided not to boot and gave me the blinking underscore in the top left corner i was at first worried about overheating so i gave it an hour and switched out the harddrives to one of my older ones and it booted fine so the computer def works so i win boot pro issues xp switched back to the problem hd gig western digital scorpio and booted from the cd-rom into the win xp pro boot issues recovery console and went through these steps changed attributes for boot ini deleted boot ini bootcfg rebuild chkdsk r said f is not a valid parameter i was under the impression that r implies f fixboot everything went fine fastdetect load option chkdsk found some errors but they were recoverable and fixed i hope no f parameter one other nagging thing i hit enter too fast and didn t get to put anything under the quot load identifier prompt quot i don t know if that would mess it win xp pro boot issues up but i am going to do it all over again and make sure i put something in that field anyway i m going to assume the empty load identifier field doesn t matter do i need to next use the FIXMBR command i m not too familiar with the recovery console because i take great care of my computers and have never really had an issue like this before so i feel it is prudent to get some advice on how to use FIXMBR also could the hd be toast i figure if the drive is toast none of the above would work inspiron ghz win xp pro sp gig RAM

A:win xp pro boot issues

The fixmbr command is the standard cure for the blinking cursor, black screen. Has nothing to do with the boot.ini file.Black Screen (fixmbr) - http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;314503 How to rebuild the Windows boot.ini Using Bootcfg - http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000648.htm How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/299552/win-xp-pro-boot-issues/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi Everyone I have decided that enough is enough and I need some help on solving this one I work in a company and one of issues boot xp my users has come to me with a problem Their machine was refusing to boot normally and would each xp boot issues time come up wanting to boot into safe mode machine is an Advent Attempted to boot using BartPE however I get a x B error also get this with the XP CD Resulted to booting into safe mode and ran chkdsk sure enough it found problems Ran chkdsk R and rebooted the machine Check disk ran through fine and came up saying it was complete however did nothing just sat there Left it for a while nothing Forced a reboot and it rebooted into safe mode here comes problem Laptop now doesn't boot into safemode hangs at agpCPQ sys so I can no longer boot at all Any ideas on what could be causing the problems

A:xp boot issues

G'Day lvcjw,

I have been researching your problem, and I'm afraid to say that its not good news.
There are two things to do here...

Firstly, have a look at this troubleshooting article from Microsoft?.

Secondly, once you get the cantankerous machine to boot, I'd suggest that you go to the link "The 5 Steps" in my signature, and read the instructions thoroughly.

Good luck with it, and please post back with the results.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-boot-issues-130199.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Dear All This summer my P C was hacked and some bone head gave me a java script virus and a trojan virus This resulted in many issues after I treated the virus with my virus protection software I formatted my computer and as my computer is custom made I reinstalled all the drivers etc It worked perfectly until I installed all of my programs again as after installing each one it asked to restart I restarted and to my shock it would boot up until the xp logo and then after that a Boot Issues Up black screen appear for minit secs and then it loaded my desktop I find this very unexplainable as I have uninstalled all of my software and reinstalled it and this problem still continues I have done a full system scan with my two spy ware programs and my two virus protection software Now when I boot up it does the same although if I press the restart button when the black screen appears it reboots perfectly although I have to select 'last known configuration that worked' Also when im accessing different folders it is being slow and when I run some games they are juddery Im so confused how this happening I have got a top spec custom Boot Up Issues pc worth I have never encountered this issue before Please if anyone could help I would really appreciate it as its driving me nuts If it helps Im running Windows XP Home edition I have a ASROCK DDR FSB MHZ motherboard A Winfast A DirectX Graphics Card and a Hercules MUSE sound card Thanks J HYT

A:Boot Up Issues

Quote:

I have done a full system scan with my two spy ware programs and my two virus protection software.

My first questions would be, which ones? Some are better than others, and some are far worse

Second, I'd recommend following the steps outlined in this thread.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/boot-up-issues-82162.html
Relevancy 35.69%

my friend recently contacted me and asked me to help fix his comp but before i continue i would like to see what u guys think is the problem so that i can spend less time doing diagnostics.

its a old dell about 5 years old.
when he boots up is stays on the screen that ask do u want start normally, start in safe mode, etc... he has tried everything and i even asked him to reset his bios but with no results he has also tried all the available boot options. i suspect hardware failure because if its a corrput windows then it will say to repair it. all help is appreciated thnx

A:boot up issues..

Could be lots of things, like a corrupt registry, caused by bad sectors on the hard disk or dusty RAM. Sometimes these things have both a hardware and a software cause. First thing to do is test the hardware. First of all, check the inside of the computer for swollen/leaking capacitors and dust buildup, taking care to clean the RAM and RAM slots while you're at it (be careful to avoid static discharge when working inside it). Then test the RAM, I recommend "memtest", it's a free download. Then run Seatools, Spinrite, chkdsk or some other hard disk diagnostic to check for bad sectors.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-up-issues.708532/
Relevancy 35.69%

Ok Guys Help me out.. im doing a data recovery from and old sotec laptop that died,took that hard drive out of dead one put in another and reinstalled winxp pro,(same partition) sotec laptop had winxp home. i see the directory for xp home in the menu but it blue screens fast cant get error.new xp pro boots up fine.problem is that its a 20gig hd but when i do a full properties (hidden files and all) on c drive its only giving me 7gigs total ,and yes i installed to windows1 folder. can see older files and user names on drive, Do i need to access winxp home to see rest of disk..disk managemt sees the whole drive..but where the rest of it is beats me.. I hope i get thru to someone
thanks in advance

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-issues.473645/
Relevancy 35.69%

hello i am lee i am having issues Boot :( major computer problems and i dont know if it is my hardware or bios settings could i have some help please the problem i am having is that when my pc reaches verifying dmi pool data it restarts and im not sure but i think i get a quick flash of the BSoD i have reset my bios and loaded in the optimized settings and also removed everything apart from the basics and still no luck i know by boot sequence and hardware detection is setup right in my bios so i am really puzzled oh and i have also tried a new a drive from my downstairs computer and formatting my upstirs one but when i insert my windows CD for a new installation i get to the blue screen where the first files are loading and it gets to windows is now starting and it reboots before the main setup Boot issues :( starts thank you for your time nbsp

Relevancy 35.69%

Here's my setup:

Corrupt Vista install on Primary HD
Win 7 (and soon to be Linux and maybe XP) on a second.

I want to be able to take out the primary hd to move it to a NAS unit and just have the second hd in. Problem is, the current bootloader is on the Vista drive. I need to know if there is a way to move this to the Win 7 HD without having to reinstall Win 7 at this time, though I know I will have to when it is released.

Hopefully this is possible. Can anyone help me out?

remove the primary hard drive and boot from windows 7 dvd and launch start up repair.

Everything will be fine

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/22759-boot-issues.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi lads Scenario for you here this is what happened in order over a Boot issues period of time last month sometimes computer starts up fine but Boot issues the usb drivers don t work and the mouse and keyboard don t work sometimes computer starts up fine but blue-screens after - minutes sometimes the computer didn t boot at all just stayed blank with the fans going like crazy I get fed up iof this all I try defrag system clean-up registry cleaner etc etc After this fails to help i boot from windows install disk reformat the hard-drive and begin to re-install windows It blue-screens midway through the install I have had some people suggest that the hard-drive has failed is failing Others have said that the PSU may be on the way out Boot issues Others still have said that the motherboard itself may be fried What do you guys reckon to be the problem I have ruled out dirt as i checked and it is fairly clean on the inside I m tech-savvy enough to install any new hardware and windows but not tech-savvy enough to identify the source of my problems Thanks for any and all help Boot issues guys Yours Roy p s if i need to replace an item of hardware where is the best place to go for this i ve heard new-egg is good I m based in ireland nbsp

Hi! My brother's computer had similar problems before the power supply failed. If you can hook up another power supply to the computer, you'll find out if that's the problem. I'm not saying that this is definitely the problem, so don't go rushing out and buy a power supply. Newegg is good, but before buying any parts, make sure they will fit and work on your computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-issues.978398/
Relevancy 35.69%

A friend of mine is having some issues with his computer not booting so I was taking a look at it for him When you push the button to turn it on nothing would happen i brought it to my house and when I hooked it up it came on I did this with only the power plug hooked up to the motherboard So thinking it was ok I hook everything back up and then it wont boot again I start hooking up everything one device at a time and when I got to the cd rom it wouldn t work cool I hooked a cdrom i had and same thing happened Then nothing would happen at all again I switched the power supply from v to v and it booted up strange i thought I then took a psu out of an old computer of mine that I know works put it on boot/psu issues? v same thing switched it to and it works I put the psu from the friends computer in my old computer switched it to v and it works fine I did notice on the motherboard of the friends computer that one of the capacitors looks like it is leaking Any thoughts bad motherboard maybe Thanks in advance nbsp

A:boot/psu issues?

Strange that you have to switch the power supply voltage from 115V to 230V to get it to work. I've never come across that, except for overseas travel.

If one of the capacitors is leaking, it is generally recommended to replace it. Whether there's a link between the two problems, I can't say.

It is best if you wait for a more knowledgable response before reacting.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-psu-issues.469393/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi- I have a T with gb and XP sp It was fast and I was happy I upgraded to a new drive and used the IBM recovery and startup disks to bring the system to the point where it left the factory The startup was slow because of all the Thinkpad junk that is included check issues XP T60 boot the security chip fingerprint control cntrl alt del to login etc I went in msconfig under startup and services and unchecked all the T60 XP boot issues thinkpad Lenovo stuff and rebooted The system hung on the quot checking the status of the security chip quot box I had to reload again from the rescue and recovery disks the only disks they sent with the system All I want is to turn the system on and have the windows account login page come T60 XP boot issues up after the splash page I read searched the forum and verified that my disk is on Ultra DMA not PIO I loaded system mechanic iolo hoping that the quot fix startup quot box would take the stuff out It didn t As of now on boot up I get quot Thinkpad quot processes like Checking the status of T60 XP boot issues the security chip and a manual requirement to hit ctrl alt del to login Previously on boot up the system went directly to the boot page- can anyone help me get back to that and not have the system hang in limbo requiring another multi-hour restore Thanks Koetsu nbsp

Relevancy 35.69%

So about a month ago my desktop just quit all together. Pressing the power woudl get it to turn on, the screen would stay black for about 5 seconds then it would power itself off. So, I was thinking hardware issue. I read about it some and I ordered a new motherboard and ram and put that in there. The problem is still there. Now I get to the screen where it tells me windows was not shut down properly and gives you the choices of how you want to boot. No matter which I choose, it restarts, only to return to that screen. I am running Windows XP Home with SP2 installed. Also, booting with my Windows XP disc in the drive changes nothing.

Dual hard drives, one 160gb, one 80 gb.

ATI Radeon 9800 pro.

Asus P4P800SE motherboard

1gb Corsaire DDR 400 RAM

Intel Pentium 4 2.4 ghz CPU socket 478

Relevancy 35.69%

I just installed a new motherboard, cpu, and graphics card but now my computer wont boot windows. If i boot in safe mode it boots up but if i try to boot normally or with last known configuration it just goes to the windows xp loading screen then flashes a blue screen briefly and then starts the whole process over again. any help will be greatly appreciated.

A:Boot Issues

Hi ... When you installed all your new hardware , Did you also reinstall windows afterward ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-issues.467298/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi For a couple weeks i've been having some booting issues I was running windows xp and when my pc was powered off for an extended period of time like over night it had trouble starting up It would get stuck on various screens during start up and a lot of times once windows was fully booted it would flash the blue screen and restart again The issues were inconsistent and would do the same thing Boot Issues every time sometimes I could get by starting up with just one restart or stuck screen but sometimes it could take up to - mins to finally work And again these problems only happened when the pc was powered off for several hours Boot Issues it wouldn't happen when I restarted or shut down for a few mins- Boot Issues hr or so I at first thought that my OS was corrupt so about a week ago I reformatted and put windows on there but now again after being powered off for a somewhat extended period of time its now having its own issues starting up of the time I have to do a restore to the last known good point and sometimes that fails and I have to put in the system disk and run some repairs or pick an earlier restore point Anyway ive been really frustrated and before I replace anything I was hoping I could get some ideas on where exactly my problem is at Thanks

Let's start with these free, bootable hardware diagnostics:

Quote:

H/W Diagnostics:
Please start by running these bootable hardware diagnostics:
http://www.carrona.org/memdiag.html (read the details at the link)
http://www.carrona.org/hddiag.html (read the details at the link)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/boot-issues-471273.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Hello I have an issue since few days with my Windows Computers When I try to boot windows it shows quot please wait quot quot diagnosing your boot Win issues 8.1 pc quot than the Recovery screen shows up It Looks like Windows didn t load Win 8.1 boot issues correctly quot see advanced repair Options quot or restart the pc If I choose see advanced repair Options - troubleshoot - advanced Options - Startup repair the Computer reboots - gt quot diagnosing your pc quot - gt Startup repair couldn t repair your pc - gt shutdown Then I Switch on the Computer again and without any error the Computers starts normally If I restart the Computer again it starts without an error again but if I restart the comp once more I have the same issue like i descripted above If I choose quot restart quot instead of quot see advanced repair Options quot the Computer boots without an error message Till i make a reboot again I reinstalled the Computer made necessary windows updates installed few apps Office and deepfreeze No issues the next - restarts Win 8.1 boot issues but after few times more the same error occurs I made an Image of the HD and put it on a new HD same issue after few restarts - Win 8.1 boot issues no matter if deepfreeze is activated or not srtTrail logfiles Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log --------------------------- Last successful boot time AM GMT Number of repair attempts Session details --------------------------- System Disk Device Harddisk Windows directory C windows AutoChk Run Number of root causes Test Performed --------------------------- Name Check for updates Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed --------------------------- Name System disk test Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed --------------------------- Name Disk failure diagnosis Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed --------------------------- Name Disk metadata test Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed --------------------------- Name Target OS test Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed --------------------------- Name Volume content check Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed --------------------------- Name Boot manager diagnosis Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed --------------------------- Name System boot log diagnosis Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed --------------------------- Name Event log diagnosis Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed --------------------------- Name Internal state check Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Test Performed --------------------------- Name Boot status test Result Completed successfully Error code x Time taken ms Root cause found --------------------------- Boot status indicates that the OS booted successfully --------------------------- --------------------------- Any suggestions

A:Win 8.1 boot issues

First let me say, I'm a Computer Tech, so I see more PC problems than the average user.
Lately I've had boot failures on two of my 11 Desktop PC's. One was caused by a Power Supply that had several voltages that were out of spec.
A new PSU solved that problem. (but, without a PSU tester, I probably would not have caught that one)

The next boot failure was due to one bad RAM stick, out of four installed. When I pulled out the pair of sticks that contained the bad one, the PC booted up normally. Running "Memtest 86+" from a boot disk, quickly identified the bad ram. I replaced the bad ram and that PC was quickly back in service.

All too often, people think that Windows is at fault, when actually it's a piece of hardware. I've even read posts, in the past, where someone has reinstalled Windows to fix a problem that wasn't even caused by Windows in the first place, only to still have the same problem.

As a technician, I learned years ago to not just jump on the OS as the problem, but check the hardware first.

Just a thought

TechnoMage

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/71474-win-8-1-boot-issues.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi,
I recently removed a virus from a computer. After doing this I restarted the computer to find that Windows 7 will not boot. After it goes through POST and displays the BIOS information it simply takes me to a black screen with a flashing cursor. I CAN however get into windows using the "Boot from Hard Drive-Windows Vista/7 (BOOTMGR)" option from Hiren's Boot CD (Damn I love that thing!). Anyhow, I've tried to get it to start up like it used to using the Windows Startup Repair (finds no problems), System Restore (it always fails because it "cannot extract a file"), SFC, and CHKDSK. I'm afraid to do things with bootrec or bcdedit as of right now because like I said, I CAN still boot into Windows using Hiren's and don't want to screw that as well. Any help is appreciated!

It sounds to me like it is an MBR issue so you will have to run bootrec.exe but I see no reason to think that Hiren's would stop working anyway.
How to use the Bootrec.exe tool in the Windows Recovery Environment to troubleshoot and repair startup issues in Windows

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/boot-issues-639486.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi all.

Last night I feared the hard drive had died on my Vaio. Would not boot and said that ntoskrnl.exe was missing or corrupt.
After booting with an XP disc, it would not allow me to run recovery mode, because it says there is no hard drive (Hard drive shows in bios).
So, I ran Ubuntu live and that has allowed me to access the drive fully. I have recovered my files to an external drive so that is ok.
So... how can I get this drive to run again? The drive is working, so it must be the boot sector that has failed (or perhaps I am wrong).
If I cannot run XP recovery, or access the actual drive then how can I run bootini/rebuild etc

Can I repair it from Ubuntu? Never used it until today.

Many thanks
Steve

Relevancy 35.69%

I recently purchase an HP Pavilion G6 which comes with windows 8 so i have decided to reformat the hard drive and install windows 7.... my problem now it won't boot up from the DVD drive even an USB DVD drive still won't boot up.

Please help me guys...

Thank you

A:Boot up issues

Is Secure Boot disabled? There may also be some kind of "legacy" setting you have to make. I haven't studied the new UEFI challenges much.

For what reason are you doing this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-up-issues.1084348/
Relevancy 35.69%

Turned my PC on about an hour ago, and nothing appeared on the monitor.....

Changed the wire to MOBO graphics...still nothing, unplugged all my SSD's and HDDs apart from 1 HDD, screen came on and asked to boot from Cd/DVD ROM.

I then plugged everything back in and it booted up and got to "Loading Operating System" and its just sits there for ages, then eventually it starts windows.

My OS is installed on an SSD btw.

Why is this happening?

Boot into BIOS setup to set SSD first to boot with only your SSD plugged in. Is it detected? What error do you get then?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/336383-boot-up-issues.html
Relevancy 35.69%

This one has me pretty puzzled I have a PC which I put together from about - years ago A couple of months ago I upgraded with more RAM a new video card a new hard drive and Windows Professional -bit Here are the current specs up Boot issues denotes a new component AMD Athlon ASUS M N-E Motherboard GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR - GB of Corsair XMS DDR - Corsair W PSU EVGA GTX WD Caviar Blue GB HDD Windows Professional -bit Everything went fine on the upgrade and worked great for a month or so Then a couple of weeks ago Boot up issues my machine wouldn t start up The power LED comes on but no HDD light and nothing on the monitor -- not even the splash screen associated with Boot up issues the MB Bios So in the process of troubleshooting my PC Boot up issues I got it to finally do something by attaching a different monitor After it booted I switched back to my normal monitor and it worked fine w that one At this point I thought maybe monitor issues The next time I turned off my PC it happened again It wouldn t boot I powered down This time instead of hooking up a different monitor I just unplugged my main monitor s DVI cable and plugged it right back in Pressed the power button and it booted right up This quot solution quot has worked times Weird So now I was thinking it s a video card issue Maybe it s not seated properly and unplugging the cable moves it a bit However tonight the normal fix didn t work and I went to work and reseated the new card No luck I swapped in my old video card and it did the same thing power LED and fans nothing else happening I got it to boot with the old GPU after a few tries After that I put the new one back in and it booted up and I am running it w that at the moment This machine has been rock solid since the upgrade besides this one issue I usually just put it to sleep and it ll come back from a sleeping state fine I really am baffled what this might be Perhaps the proximity to the upgrade is just a coincidence and this is a motherboard or PSU issue It just seemed like it must be one of the newer components RAM has checked out fine w Memtest Any idea what may be causing this Anything else to try Thanks Bryan nbsp

From your post, I would tend to think it is either the board or pw supply. You tried using the old video card and still had problems correct?
To troubleshoot the problem, I would do the following;
1 With the system OFF, pull the pw connectors from ALL drives both hd and optical
2 Disconnect any usb type device ie printer, scanner, etc
3 If you have any add-in cards like sound, nic, pull those out also. Leave in just your video card.

Now pw ON and see if you get post display. If not, then I would swap in a test pw supply. If you do get a consistent post display, then start connecting devices one at a time until you find the problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-up-issues.961118/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi everyone I ve had and interesting little battle going on since about this morning with no luck so I m turning to any advice you can give (and Boot more!) issues me I have Boot issues (and more!) windows XP Home edition SP installed on my PC and this morning the computer rebooted and would then not get past the windows loading screen However this was not the only issue If I disconnected the ethernet cable or turned off the modem the entire PC would reboot and would not even go to the POST test Monitor stays idle and everything So right now I have to keep the modem on and connected in order to even boot into safe mode Can t boot into networked safe mode because it then behaves the same way as Boot issues (and more!) if I was booting into windows itself Safe mode appears to hang at SPTD for driver loading so I can t get into safe Boot issues (and more!) mode to scan for infected files or anything I have a Windows install cd but it would not give me the option to repair windows I instead installed windows on a different partition and the PC actually boots up However the network card is unrecognized along with video card and sound card so accessing the internet is unavailable I m currently working off my linux distro laptop I tried using a USB device to reinstall AVG onto this new partition but the PC would not recognize it as an external device so I am unable to access it If you can give me any advice as to what s going on I d appreciate it nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-issues-and-more.701334/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hello all. im having thisannoying issue after i attempted to boot into my administrator account where it dosent boot. this is not a password issue! after i upgraded to windows 10 i unlocked windows administrator account for a reason which i at this time do not recall. i tried to log on to said account and wasnt asked for a password, and it seemed to boot. after a while id get a blank screen as if i had the brightness down. when i tried to re boot , their was no option to choose the acciount and the same patteren started again. if you need any other info please let me knowthanks Dave. 

Hi @nycemsmedic,Thanks for becoming a member of the HP Support Forums. I understand you are having an issue with screen dims or goes black after booting. I will be glad to help you.Please post the full product number of your computer. See the following, if you need help with that information.How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number?Please get back to me with above information, so I can help you better.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Boot-Issues/td-p/5691821
Relevancy 35.69%

This is a bit of a long explanation but bear with me -- whoever helps me out will probably need all of these details I have a GB Western Digital hard drive Originally I had partitioned it one partition had Windows XP the other had FreeBSD There was also a third boot partition that I created with Boot Magic so that I could choose which OS would boot when I started up the computer I deleted the FreeBSD partition After that when I tried to boot I would get a Boot Magic error because the boot Boot Issues partition was still trying Boot Issues to run even Boot Issues though I had deleted both it and the FreeBSD partition probably because I never changed my boot ini or anything and thus it was trying to access a boot partition that didn t exist This was not Boot Issues a problem it just said quot press any key to continue quot and I did and it would load to windows Then I started getting an error telling me to insert system disk I inserted the Windows CD and booted to the setup but was unsure what to do After researching some options on the internet I tried resetting the boot order in my BIOS This worked for about reboot I then started getting a NTLDR missing error which I fixed Then I got an error about quot invalid boot ini booting from c windows quot and it would then just restart and be in a loop For all of this the drive would show up as SATA in my BIOS so I really don t think the hard drive is buggered or anything I ve tried disconnecting and reconnecting it and this hasn t helped I installed Windows XP on another hard drive and it doesn t see the original hard drive at all Now I can t boot at all I disconnected the second hard drive with XP on it So all that is connected now is the messed up HD and my DVD drive and neither are booting I just need to access the original HD somehow so I can save my stuff Please help

<<I installed Windows XP on another hard drive, and it doesn't see the original hard drive at all.>>

If that's true...then you probably have a failing/dead hard drive.

Any install of XP should be able to see the hard drive/partition containing another install of XP...when both are connected to the same motherboard.

Attach the second drive with XP installed and use it to boot the system. Go into Disk Management (Start/Run...type diskmgmt.msc, hit OK) and post all info re drives which are reflected at bottom of screen.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/231202/boot-issues/
Relevancy 35.69%

I have a challenging little issue with my pc, and wonder if anyone can think of any resolutions.
Every time, after a boot up, no matter if the computer sits there for five minutes or half an hour before I do anything, there is a slight delay when opening "My Computer" ( see the flashlight for 1 to 2 seconds ) or when opening IE6 with Google as my home page, it takes 1 to 2 seconds for the colorful Google logo to appear.
After that they both open instantly, until I reboot again.
Any idea what might be causing this.

Volks

Windows XP home edition, version 2002
Service pack 3
Pentium(R) 4 CPU, 2.4GHz, 2.00GB ram

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-boot-up-issues.949530/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi I got issues Boot with SSD a samsung SSD evo go and I have some issues with it When booting I Boot issues with SSD often got quot disk read error occurred press ctrl alt del to restart quot I can happen or times then Windows startMore rarely I got a Windows Boot Manager message saying that quot Windows failed to start A recent hardware or software change might be the cause File Boot BCD Status xc f Info The boot configuration Data for you PC is Boot issues with SSD missing or contains errors quot I used a Windows bootable USB device to rebuild the BCD following this post How To Rebuild the BCD in Windows But the Windows Boot message still shows up a few times I don't see BSOD but when entering my Windows session a message tells me that a BSOD happened I check dmp files and the logs times correspond to the shut down hours I attach the file from SF Debug Tool Booting excepted my computer seems to work fine My computer is a desktop computer about month old I assembled it myself Here is some details if needed AMD FX- Black Edition Vishera GHzASUS M A LE R AM AMD SB SATA Gb s USB ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOSXFX Double D FX- A-ZDF Radeon HD GB -Bit GDDR CORSAIR XMS GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR Samsung SSD evo gbRosewill Stallion Series RD W ATX VMy OS is Windows not Thanks for your time Fylim

A:Boot issues with SSD

SATA set to AHCI, connected to SATA_0 (first port) ?

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/42730-boot-issues-ssd.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Recently I installed Windows 7 x64 RTM on my 500gb, on my 320gb I had XP and build 7600 x32 running, I decided to format my 320gb as i was switching over x64 (formatted using windows 7 disc), The OS refused to boot claiming boot files were missing, after running startup repair a few times it was fixed.
Now when I try remove my 320gb it refuses to boot and claims boot files are missing, having a look at my 320gb in computer management I see it has a second partition called system reserved, which has bootmgr and other files in it, so it seems windows 7 installed on my 500gb but put all the boot info on my 320gb, how do i create a boot section/folder on my 500gb so I dont have to keep my 320gb in my pc? Thanks

Remove your 320, and boot from your Setup disk. Then select startup repair.

If that does not work, try using Bootrec as explained in this post.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/33836-boot-issues.html
Relevancy 35.69%

If this is not the appropriate forum, please let me know. I have a dell computer using XP that I have set up for my son. When new, it came with XP. Whenever the computer starts, the results vary. Sometimes the error message refers to <Windowsroot>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe or various system32 drivers are missing. We continue to reboot until it finally loads without errors. Here's the problem. I can fix it with the Dell, XP Reinstallation CD. Then I have to visit Windows Updates and download SP2, then all of the updates, then IE 7.0... once this is done, the error messges return again. This complete process can take 4+ hours and the end result is that I end up with corrupted files. Perhaps it is time to dispose of this computer. Any thoughts?

Have you upgraded the BIOS for your motherboard?
Or Downloaded new Drivers for the graphics card?
If you know what motherboard and graphics card you have message it to me and I'll Give you the links.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-issues.698270/
Relevancy 35.69%

I've been experiencing some puzzling issues My laptop is having some really big issues when booting Windows Pro Primarily the issue is with rebooting which it cant do at all it just hangs on the reboot screen for min seemingly without progressing It also has issues while starting from having been turned off which takes min to Boot issues get to the login screen Likewise shutting down usually takes a lot longer but can be accomplished The only exception to this is when i start the computer up after it has been shut down for a while or entirely drained of power Then it boots Boot issues up in less than sec never timed it but fast anyway which is what i would expect On top of this i have been experiencing some issues with transferring files between my two drives but this might be unrelated My win install is as good as new couple of days old Boot issues and i had this issue before doing the reinstall I've turned the fast startup feature Boot issues of win on and off several times and it seems to have no influence on my boot times Also my processsor power settings are running with when idle and when active An issue i have become aware of during my research on these problems is that my win is installed on drive rather than drive and i'm prolly gonna try to fix this later but afaict that should not give me the issues i'm having Except for some DNS events the primary events i'm seeing in the event logs are Wininit Custom dynamic link libraries are being loaded for every application storahci Reset to device Device RaidPort was issued In all honesty i am not skilled enough to even know what other info might be required for me to be able to get help but if anyone has any thoughts i'd be grateful

Please fill out your system specs, because "my laptop" is inconclusive

1. Turn off fast startup and see if there's a difference. If not ->
2. Upload "C:\Windows\System32\wdi\LogFiles\BootCKCL.etl" to any cloud service and post a link.

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/24551-boot-issues.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Ok this system has xp sp2.. but when booting the system hangs on the booting screen .. so when it does this you hear the Xp booting sound.. when you log into window.. but you still have the xp booting screen.. and then if you wate a few mins.. and hit the power button you hear xp log off. and then the system shuts down..

i have tryed Restoring... the hdd passed all test along with the motherboard...

ANY idea's

should i try and tell it to write a new MBR. ?

i don't want to lose anything.. on the system... if at all possable..

thanks,

-Matt

A:Win xp boot issues.. ?!?!?!

Try doing a repair of the current Windows installation. Boot off of the XP cd and follow the screens. If you use the recovery console you could try a FIXMBR or FIXBOOT first.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/win-xp-boot-issues.56069/
Relevancy 35.69%

my computer boots up to black screen where I have to select start windows normally, instead of to my desk top. Is there a fix for this weird problem? I have checked the boot order and it is correct.

Hi Mowpar
Are you talking about the Advanced Boot Menu, where you have many options? Or only the Recovery Menu where you have the option to boot into Windows normally and run a start up repair?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/564125/boot-issues/
Relevancy 35.69%

Recently acquired a new computer to try and fix up for my dad, but there's a boot issue, which I thought might be fairly easy to fix, but I don't even know where to start!
Basically, when I plug all the computer in, and go to boot it up, after a POST, it pauses on the first boot up screen, and then nothing, even if you plug in a keyboard and try and enter the BIOS screen, nothing happens.
So, as I said, I have no idea where to start, so any ideas would be great
Thanks in advanced,
goodwin24
ps - I didn't really know what forum to put this in, but I thought this might be right?

Relevancy 35.69%

Ok this is my first time posting on here and boy is it a problem. Here goes. First off I have built a computer with all new parts set up for an AMD proc. I have a Soyo Kt600 dragon mobo Amd sempron proc 256mb pc2700 ram 80gb maxtor hard drive and a 64mb video card. I have taken the hard drive from another computer and placed it in this one and now the computer wont boot from the hard drive. I thought the problem might be that it was too much of a hardware change so I repaired the installation and this did not work. The computer was able to boot up the cd and repaired the installation successfully but when I restarted the computer it got to the same black screen blinking cursor in the top left corner. no error messages or anything.

Relevancy 35.69%

I was recently running chkdsk when my power went out in the middle of it. I now get a blue screen onces the xp logo comes up during startup. I have tried safe mode but my system just reboots after loading the files. Any ideas other than formatting?

A:XP SP3 boot issues

Boot from the CD and run chkdsk.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-sp3-boot-issues.814250/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hello hows everyone doing I ve stepped in it here I m pretty sure and I need to fix it to save household sanity and issues use Boot help. more! I TSG, some Hello serious could =) This is how Hello TSG, I could use some serious help. Boot issues and more! =) it is so far My computer crashed and perpetually shuts down and restarts at the boot screen where I can choose normal mode safe mode start with prompt etcetera When I load normally or with the last safe point option it loads the windows screen briefly then flashes a blue screen which I beleive says something about a boot file but its very very brief and restarts again Now when I push Del and enter the bios screen I believe thats what it is I notice that it says I have no primary master or slave and it cant find anything If I remember that should be my hard drive there right Im not sure but I think that has something to do with it I unfortunatley don t have a boot disc for my computer I bought it from a rd party retailer and they were no help Before the computer crashed I was trying to run a virus scan with AVG free edition and it kept saying two things behind the scenes Windows must close Generic host Program for Win or something to that effect and when I close it it sends error report then repeats and so I just chose not to close it I think it has something to do with teatimer exe and my spybot S amp D It told me which was very strange that I was out of space on my hard drive I have two separate hard drives both gb and Im pretty sure one is for the computer and the other is like extra bonus hard drive thats not neccesary And the main one it said in my explorer and properties that it was out of memory I freed up a bunch of space by running disk cleanup and then minutes later it was full again and had no space I m sure thats a virus but I couldnt complete my AVG scan because it bogged down so heavily Then it restarted and I ve been locked out of my computer since Now in order to get to this position I m in now I had to dig out my old computer circa and take the CD DVDROM out of my current comp install it in this one in order to install drivers for my wireless and get this old comp on the internet to try and talk to you guys so I hope you can help me with some of these issues nbsp

A:Hello TSG, I could use some serious help. Boot issues and more! =)

Anyone? Am I in the wrong forum? I'm getting yelled at, a lot!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hello-tsg-i-could-use-some-serious-help-boot-issues-and-more.671859/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi,

i have an Xp sp2 machine which seems to boot correctly and takes me on to the log on screen, however whenever i press 'Ctrl + Alt+ DEL to get onto the logon the machine shuts down.

Also the keyboard layout is also messed up as half the keys dont work and the others peforming incorrect actions.

Iv tried loading in safe mode but makes no difference.

Any ideas?

A:XP Boot issues

Have you tried repairing windows with the xp disc?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-boot-issues-280713.html
Relevancy 35.69%

hey how ya all doing

just set up a new system for my sister

asus a7v400mx mobo (onboard vid, lan and sound)
amd sempron 2200+ 1.5gh
256mb ddr ram
80gb western dig hd 2mb cache

c: - 16gb - active
d: - 64gb
formated and set up the hdd under fat 32

ive installed win xp with sp1
all good

but it won't boot to windows without the windows instalation cd in the drive
and it's driving me up the wall

any ideas?
been through the wd site and asus site and no luck
tested the drive an it says it's all good (what a crappy test program)

Relevancy 35.69%

I have a Western Digital TB external hard drive It recently started powering down after connecting the power supply So when i connect the power supply - V V output the led flickers i can hear the hard drive spinning then it will just power down It works intermittently it s under warranty so i can get a new one However i would like to know if there is anything i up Boot issues can do to fix this problem Most importantly how can i back Boot up issues up my data it s nearly full and i have to try many times with holding the Boot up issues cable at awkward angles to get it to work sometimes The technician ran some sort of the checkup utility and he said the hard drive is fine he also added that someone has tried to open it I don t recall doing that cause i know that voids the warranty In terms of troubleshooting i have tried new power adapter tried it at various locations around the house and on a different computer still the same results So please help me out guys Thanks nbsp Boot up issues

Relevancy 35.69%

hey there i wasn't sure what section to put this in but i think it relates most to this one ok here's my problem when i boot up my computer it goes through two device testing pages in between which i have to press f to continue before it boots up issues boot up windows ok first and foremost i want to figure out how to stop that on the first page it test cpu and memory stuff and on the second it just does a veriety of device testing boot up issues recently its been just stopping in the middle of the memory test and the only thing i can do is reboot and hope it doesnt do it again generally pushing the reset button doesnt do it and i have to power off and on from the back of the computer i recently relocated my computer so i thought i might have just jostled the ram sticks so i reinstalled them and its still doing the same thing thanks a bunch guys if you want me to try and clarify something more please let me know

A:boot up issues

Please follow these instructions to test the RAM: http://www.carrona.org/memdiag.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/boot-up-issues-453643.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Hey So I'm going to issues 8.1 boot few with A do the best I can to explain this but it's a little tough to make sense of Twoish weeks ago I was having issues at boot My laptop would not boot from sleep or from restart randomly until it stopped booting altogether It started going through startup to the windows logo the spinning thing and then all lights would stop except the backlight was on a little on a black screen Nothing would make the machine do anything So the only way to get away was to hold power for seconds A few boot issues with 8.1 then I would restart it same thing So I hammered F to try to boot in safemode but I don't think I was ever able to get that to work It would go to the options screen but safemode would not boot It wouldn't go to a previous savepoint either Startup repair from that screen was of no help Ultimately I made the absurdly stupid decision of doing a system refresh without fully realizing what that meant Cue having to rebuild half my computer and say goodbye to half my files Anyway after the refresh pretty much immediately more weird things began happening Most times upon waking from sleep or restarting two-finger-scroll on my touchpad will not work immediately and then additionally usually within a few minutes of waking restarting the command prompt box pops up sometimes it goes away quickly but sometimes it blinks for a while Eventually it writes some prompt itself and disappears way more quickly than I can read it Then I pretty much run normally until I sleep restart So far running AVG MalwareBytes and CCleaner have yielded what they did and the problem persists Today the system installed updates and freaked out and the black screen boot happened again It would not allow me to boot into safe mode This persisted for about hard resets until for no reason that I can tell the system decided to start up finish installing the updates and allow me to log on and write this Once started the command prompt box thing happened but I had no reason to scroll immediately so I don't know about that issue My touchpad drivers are up to date as of the refresh Any assistance deciphering these oddities is highly appreciated Thank you

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/624249/a-few-boot-issues-with-81/
Relevancy 35.69%

sup guys so i have a toshiba satellite issues boot a with windows vista preinstall i have had it well over a year and love it however for the last couple of months i have not been able to use it boot issues I was using readyboost and i believe that my built in sd reader has fizzled out since then i have boot issues tried to run recovery boot issues bc i dont want to lose the infini-bytes of data that i have on the pc after each recovery it would tell me another file was missing corrupt and try to repair it restart and say another file name after a while i decided to try and get a pata sata converter i have not gotten the item yet and am getting impatient waiting to have my laptop back so i decided to reinstall windows but now that i made that decision my recovery disk all of a sudden will not boot to recovery menu also the sd reader is kinda hard to get to work on or replace without sending in anyway any help will be so greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 35.69%

Folks,

I would appreciate if someone can help me out. When I start up my pc, sometimes it boots up fine, at other times, it says Please insert System Disk. I have tried booting up with a boot up CD. It still does not work. I had purchased a new hard drive and installed it. Still says the same thing.
could it be the motherboard dying on me or is there something else?

any suggestions,

please and Thanks.

DX

Relevancy 35.69%

I want to Issues? Boot start off by saying I know absolutely nothing about computers and am really worried This particular issue happened a few days ago so I looked up for help and one site said to press F or F and it booted up perfectly after that The issue started again today when I noticed that my computer stopped responding I couldn't search anything in the cortana bar or move a window across the screen I shut down the computer and the issue that happened a few days ago reappeared It freezes on the HP screen so I pressed ESC and the menu popped up and I'm not sure what to do I get the errors of IPv and IPv Also the tower I think Boot Issues? its called makes a clicking noise as well My first Boot Issues? thoughts are its the Boot Issues? fan but its moving fine and all Please help for I have no idea what's going on I don't know if your response will be automatically emailed to so if you want please email me at Personal Information Removed Solved View Solution

A:Boot Issues?

there is a possability that there are bad sectors and windows is trying to place files for the drivers there. i may be a good idea to look at replacing the hard drive. several good posts in the os recovery section of the forum for transfering hard drive data. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Boot-Issues/td-p/5561334
Relevancy 35.69%

I wish I had the time to go through the normal introductions and such but alas a tech issue is what brought me here We just moved and had Comcast with Boot PC used issues a Hi-speed Internet Service installed The next day after I rebuilt my existing PC system circa I found that we couldn't get an internet connection Consequently I phoned Comcast tech support and spent quite a while on the phone with them until both IE and OE were functioning properly Along Boot issues with a used PC the way however I was told to shut down my McAfee Anti-Virus software which I did and subsequently forgot about Anyway this means that our used PC was functioning properly to this point The next day however is an altogether different story Shortly after starting my machine in the morning I received the following message on a plain black screen Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt WINDOWS SYSTEM CONFIG SYSTEM You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair At that point I inserted the original WinXP SP disc into my CD-ROM drive and pressed the RESET button on the front of our PC After that I entered the BIOS boot menu and set it to boot from the CD-ROM Shortly after that I received the following perpetual black screen Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration Before I flew off the handle and did something I was sure I'd be sorry for I decided to do a bit of searching via Google I did indeed find information that resembled my issue however it usually came as tech advice relating to dual-boot systems Linux and XP combo mostly In addition I found an interesting post in which the user quot reset quot his PC's CMOS to get his dual-boot system running again Anyway I never found an article or a post that matched my scenario so I thought I'd post here before I tried an iffy quot similar fix quot In case I haven't been clear about this the machine in question has been in use since late and has run XP since I initially built it Other than the usual software updates including SP it has been fairly reliable The only real exception to this has been the system HDDs When the system was originally designed it was spec'd for two Seagate Barracuda SATA HDDs A little more than a year after the PC was built the GB HDD had to be replaced by Seagate About a year after that the boot HDD an GB model also had to be replaced Considering the signature information I included in my profile and the info in this post I hope I've thorough enough I work in an engineering environment and I often don't get nearly enough data to work with If I've gone overboard I was only trying to do as much as I could to inform the reader EDIT As I don't see my signature information I'm including the system tech data here CPU - AMD Athlon A Mobo - MSI K N Neo Platinum RAM - GB DDR Memory Test OK Video - ATI AIW PRO MB AGPThanks very much for your time RoyBatty

A:Boot issues with a used PC

Hi RoyBatty, and welcome to TSF.

First of all, you will not be able to fix anything with the SP1 disk as SP2 has been installed. Don't worry though, its easily fixed. The following fix includes instructions on slipstreaming, which will allow you to use your XP disk, which will then be SP2, to repair your files. You will need to follow these instructions first ( click on the blue link), then try the recovery console again.

Slipstreaming SP2

Please post back and let us know if this works.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/boot-issues-with-a-used-pc-284258.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Ok so i came home today and for some reason my comp turns on all the fans work but Boot-up issues the mobo doesn t beep and theres no message being fed to the monitor So after checking connections swapping out monitors and swapping ram sticks I finally get it to boot up It tells me my hal dll file is corrupt and restarts itself or tries to anyways and Boot-up issues it Boot-up issues freezes up when i try to access the bios and set it to the fail-safe options I was able to eventually set it to them but it didn t seem to help Whenever I boot one of the following scenario s happens Nothing The same thing happens as when i first got home everything turns on but nothing actually gets started I get a long beep loop but nothing loads on screen It starts to boot but gets stuck somewhere along the way I actually make it to the screen that asks me how i want to boot windows and no then it tells me it s missing hal dll and reboots The CD drive light goes on and then the restart button flashes once and it just continues this loop kind of like its stuck on restart A few months ago i replaced my HD with a brand new Seagate GB one so although it would be my best guess it just doesnt seem right What do you guys think nbsp

A:Boot-up issues

Your guess may have merit, because it sounds as though the problem is both hardware and software. Why don't you run a diagnostic of the harddrive:

http://www.seagate.com/training/npfchecklist/unit4/munitintro.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-up-issues.499312/
Relevancy 35.69%

I have bought and assembled a brand new PC about a month ago after assembly it was working fine under Windows XP OS environment weeks ago I took my PC along with me on a flight it was checked in baggage up issues boot which was marked fragile but when I reached my home I took it out of the box and the PC failed to boot up though there was power supply to the CD-ROM Fans LEDS Hard disk was found to be working fine There wasn t any thing wrong with my graphics card I tested it on another PC boot up issues but there was no output on the boot up issues monitor which is fine I checked for boot up issues obvious physical defects on all my PCI and graphics card and the motherboard nothing was visibily wrong I asked several of my mates to help we tried resetting the BIOS but nothing helped Please can anyone help or point me in the right direction I spent the summer working just to buy my new PC Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 35.69%

I have recently built a computer from scratch, with everything being brand new. I installed xp on the hard drive with no problems, but when I go to start it now, I get the message that windows did not start properly last time and no matter what choice I make to start it (start normally, safe mode, etc.) the computer always restarts. I tried different video cards, different hard drives that worked before, I looked at my bios settings and I still cannot get it to start. I was going to reload xp on the hard drive, but I tried the hard drive on my old computer that I know works and I still get the same results. Is there something else I need to do as far as motherboard or bios settings? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Relevancy 35.69%

My computer works normally for the most part. The problem I am having is that when my computer is in the booting process, the action light will blink rapidly, but when it gets to the point when it is loading windows, it stays Idle for a long time (longer than normal, about 20-30 seconds or more!) and the action light stops flashing and stays black. I have configured everything correctly in Bios, so thats no problem, and I have tinkered with windows to solve the issue, but it doesn't seem to work. I noticed that when I reformat my harddrive (write zeros, etc) and reinstall windows, it loads really fast. But a couple of days to weeks later, windows starts loading really slow again. I have Windows 98 second addition. Sorry if I am in the wrong forum. Please give me some tips about how to fix this. I have 320 MB's of Ram too!

Relevancy 35.69%

I have done a silly thing. I have an Acer Aspire 4520 with Vista Home Premium. On my previous pc which was a Windows 98 I did a lot of quick basic programming for fun. On vista though you can't run dos in full screen So I really wanted to load a version of Windows 98 on to a new partition on my new computer. I created a new partition and a windows 98 startup cd and re started the computer. I ran fdisk and set the new partition active and attempted to load Win98. For some reason unknown to me 98 wouldn't install properly so I gave up. I restarted and deleted the partition through fdisk. I then set the Vista partiton active and now the computer won't load vista at all, only a black screen with a flashing cursor.

Is there anyone who knows how to get vista working again.

yup - take your Vista DVD, boot from it, and then when it comes to the install screen, in the bottom left hand corner select repair....

and then read this thread about dual booting Vista / 98.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/159605-boot-issues.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi.

My computer crashes very consistently (80% of the time) during the black XP boot screen.

This happened somewhat frequently (20%) over the past few months, but since upgrading to SP3, it's very common.

Now it simply will not boot any further than that screen.

The last thing I did was defragment my hard drive.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

A:XP boot issues.

Looks like a major OS flaw, you should consider reinstalling XP

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-boot-issues.748183/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hello everyone. I am having a little problem, well more of a nuisance really. When i boot XP, which is XP professional sp3, it boots the 3 cd drives first. That's fine, that's what I have it set up to do. Heres the catch, if I have ANY cd in the cd drive, it boots up fine after asking to either start from cd or HD, and I choose HD. If no cd is present, it wont boot at all.

If i change my boot settings to HD first, it does the same thing. Current setting is CD, Floppy, then HD. It never gets past the CD drives though.

It will start fine with the aforementioned way, but it is kinda annoying. Any thoughts?

Sounds like a BIOS issue, please list the motherboard and BIOS version. Have you applied any available BIOS updates?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/boot-issues-237102.html
Relevancy 35.69%

I left my computer with my father for a week and I return to discover it won't boot up. It gets past the XP loading screen and then will very breifly flash a blue screen with text that I can't read and then the computer reboots. Safe mode isn't helping. I tried to repair my windows installation and when it reaches the "Installing Devices" phase, the same blue screen flashes breifly and the computer reboots again. I'm posting using a SLAX Linux boot disc on this computer, so I don't think the BIOS are corrupted.

Any suggestions please? I'm getting desperate.

Ok, does anyone know a tool that I could use under SLAX to figure out what the problem is? Please, I REALLY need help.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/boot-issues-105834.html
Relevancy 35.69%

My computer will not turn on. it will not boot up but when I plug it up i can open and close my CD drives and plug in my USB devices. i dont get it why cant i start my HP Pavailion.

Relevancy 35.69%

Okay, so I have to Hard drives, 2 OS's Primary = Win XP Slave = Win 98 (some of my old software doesn't run on WIN XP and yes, I've tried everyting...)

I'm thinking the easiest way to boot from either primary or slave HD is to create a boot disk that when inserted into the floppy, boots from Slave, (and when not in floppy, boots regularly to Primary/Master)

I'm just trying to get out of going into the BIOS everytime I want to boot from the different drive...

that's where I'm at, and stuck. I'd appreciate any advice/slternate suggestions, etc...

BTW My primary/master drive is NOT Fat or Fat32 Its NTFS or whatever... (the other OTHER HD format...) whereas my 2nd/slave IS FAT32...

cheers....

PaThErToN

A:2 HdD's 2 OS's = boot issues...

Good Evening patherton, having a dual boot is really useful but there are a few things that can cause real problems.
One idea is to have a hard drive in a removeable caddy set up as Primary master and when the caddy is engaged (fully in) it naturally becomes the master. When that drive is unseated the second drive becomes the first drive.
Of course the BIOS needs to be set for auto on Primary master and slave.
This system works best with W-98 on the removeable drive. It is pretty reliable as an idea.

Another idea is to use the boot manager included with W-xp, this usually needs W-98 to be loaded first on the first drive, and then W-xp loaded on the second drive. The problem with this is that every time something is loaded and a reboot is needed the MBR on the first drive is liable to be lost. And you have to begin again.
This gives a menu at boot as to which system you want up.

Another alternative is to have both systems loaded and then load a program like this Puppy Linux I am using which installs a boot manager to the first drive MBR and gives a reasonable Boot Menu which will include the other systems. This is usually pretty reliable but can be susceptible to problems from reboots with further system program loads.

Probably the best and most reliable method is to obtain a commercial boot manager, this gives better reliability and usually can easily be restored if affected by the mentioned reboots. (W-98 is notorious for affecting the MBR)
I like a boot manager from a Russian Programmer, called Symon3. http://symon.da.ru/
Have a read of the info on it, it is good value for money and easily rstores if it is damaged.
It is a little complex to set up but solid as a rock afterward.

Have a lot of patience with your exercise and plan how you are going to do it. No shortcuts!

Cheers, qldit.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2-hdds-2-oss-boot-issues.431257/
Relevancy 35.69%

Ok, I bought a new motherboard, a Biostar 945P, used my same cpu. My first problem was that my computer would start to boot til it got to the windows start screen then restart itself. so I setup it so my cd drive would boot first to reinstall windows, now when it boots up it says "boot from cd" then just restarts. Any help would be great.

You cannot use windows on a new motherboard without reinstalling it.
You will need to reformat, and reinstall windows.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/boot-issues.72948/
Relevancy 35.69%

Well new here Upgraded all of my PC's recently issues up PC's several 10 different Win boot to Win All ran well for a time All except Win 10 boot up issues several different PC's this laptop have now failed Most act like a bad HDD The last one I just upgraded the other night loaded all my software started to use it all Win 10 boot up issues several different PC's fine several days later system left on around the clock it gave a message saying there was an issue with Win 10 boot up issues several different PC's the HDD I rest and carried on no issues a day later it blanked out on its own while I was working on this laptop both were home grouped through the same net connection the pc reset and said it was repairing itself stayed at for some time than rebooted but as it did it would show the old XP pro win pic briefly and than blank out than it would come up with the recovery screen normal setup safe with without but no matter which I try it just loops back to the same I tried to make a usb boot stick but it does not even see the usb apparently So I guess I need help in salvaging this one first before moving on to the others I'm not a programmer but very familiar with hardware though this newer stuff is getting away from me System is a k Dell OptiPlex intel core vppro with gb ram T Win drive was XP Pro upgraded to Win pro upgraded to win pro Would appreciate help with this mess Thank you Obie Wans out there Your my only hope

A:Win 10 boot up issues several different PC's

If you suspect disk failure you should check that first. What I usually do is to take it out and connect to my desktop computer and check it from there. It's most probably a SATA disk which has same connections as normal, desktop disk. There are many programs for that. HDD manufacturers have their own programs, you can find some here: Download Hard Disk Drive (HDD) Tools Tools for Windows - MajorGeeks
Any bad sectors or even large number of relocated sectors spell trouble.
A look at SMART table can also tell you a lot. Download HDDExpert - MajorGeeks just some of free ones.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/36152-win-10-boot-up-issues-several-different-pcs.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Hey people,

I leant my pc to a friend, now I've got it back and they've buggered it up...

When I turn it on, it starts normally then i get the following message:
Verifying DMI Pool Data......
Boot from ATAPI-CD-ROM : Failure
Boot from ATAPI-CD-ROM : Failure

NTLDR is missing
Press any key to restart

Then when i press any key...... it says:

DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER....

I dont have a system disk, what do i do?

I have 4-5 years worth of mp3's I'd be devestated to lose, but if I have to take the pc back to factory settingd then that's better then having no pc at all. I'd be greatful for some advice,
Thanks guys.......

A:Boot up issues *HELP HELP HELP*

Welcome to TSG....

Try this:

http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes/files/ntldr_missing.htm

After the fix please make one rule:

My golden rule is to never loan my computer out to anybody for any reason without a deposit of $1000.00 for repairs. If they have the $1000.00 then they do not have to borrow your computer and if they do not have the mooney they still do not need to borrow your computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-up-issues-help-help-help.588244/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hello I was recently mapping network drives to my windows machine through windows exporer I mapped two drives I cannot remember exactly but I beleive they had the letters Y and X nbsp on researting the computer I got a bootloader error with a black screen saying there is a problem with boot BSD I have read quite a few posts including the issues \Boot\BSD very helpful ones at http social technet microsoft com \Boot\BSD issues Forums en-US itprovistadeployment thread c - a - dc- be - a bbe and the manual restore help at http support microsoft com kb for another method of manual restore of bootloaders the follwoing website gives some good instructions as well http neosmart net wiki display EBCD Recovering the Windows Bootloader from the DVD And for anyone else having a similar problem I suggest you start here BUT my problem is that none of these will work for me In the windows Recovery console there are no versions of microsoft windows listed and all the atotmated startup repair options \Boot\BSD issues fail in the following ways On starting system repair a dialog comes up saying it is searching for windows instlalations It finishes and says that there are problems with the computers startup options the details say The follwoing startup option will be repaired Name bootmgr Identifier long hex string The following startup options will be added Name Windows Home Premium recovered Path Windows Windows Device Parition C nbsp Name Windows Recovery Environment recovered Path Recovery long hex string winre wim Windows Device Parition C Unfortunately when I hit repair and restart it throws an error saying quot failed to save startup options quot nbsp No OS's are shown and so the atuomated recovery tools cannot run nbsp I do not have a system image nbsp In the advanced menu Startup Repair fails the detials suggest that it cannot find the OS when I try to go to the command prompt to fix it manually it starts in X Sources gt nbsp nbsp however it won't accept any keyboard input Keyboard input works outside of the windows recovery conolse and it is a USB keyboard so I can't do the manual option either I have backups but am trying to aviod re-installing all my programs and doing a full wipe restore as I will loose some data and a lot of time It looks to me like my computer has forgotten where the C is I also just ran DOS Sea Tools on the hard drive and it says that it cannot find the drive However when I go into the load drivers menu in windows recovery I am able to get into the C drive and see all my files Any help would be appreciated Cheers

A:\Boot\BSD issues

Hi,

It seems this is caused by BCD data corruption, but it is odd that you cannot use keyboard in command prompt. I suspect the Windows recovery console is severely damaged.

How about another keyboard?

Do you have any system restore point? If so, try to perform a system restore for a test.

If all steps fail, the suggestion is to use the backup to restore Windows 7 to a normal state.Alex Zhao

TechNet Community Support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0870f480-be99-4857-adc3-304a516af99f/bootbsd-issues?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 35.69%

Hi I recently acquired a laptop from a neighbour the laptop after it had Boot/MBR issues been dropped I replaced the power jack on it and reinstalled Win to get a clean start and to wipe out there data I now get the message no operating system found I have tried installing Linux Boot/MBR issues Mint both on its own and as a duel boot but still get the same issue When installing Windows at the point where it restarts the computer it boots to the DVD and does not complete the installation on that restart but will on others later restarts I can boot in on occasion usually after the computer has been off or on via Mint boot USB or Hirren Boot CD for a long period thou the laptop feels sluggish thou this may just be me I Boot/MBR issues ve tried a number of things including - fixmbr and fixboot from the Windows CD Wiping all the partitions using Partition Wizard in HBCD Cheacking the MBR using MBRCheck in HBCD Using HBCD to Fix MBR I ve run Memtest Windows Memory Diagnostics extended and CHKDSK Checked S M A R T info and preformed a surface scan of the disk All of the above either didn t work or showed no errors The laptop was having issues before I got the machine I just want to know whether this issues if fix able or if the laptop needs a new hard drive or whether to cut my losses and try to part the machine out on ebay Any help is appreciated Andrew nbsp

Relevancy 35.69%

Mod Edit:  Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/626527/windows-7-performance-issues/ - Hamluis.

I need help. Can't boot to user log in screen I get to setup and try safe mode but it tries to boot and starts all over again. Please any advice is appreciated!!mlm

I need help. Can't boot to user log in screen I get to setup and try safe mode but it tries to boot and starts all over again. Please any advice is appreciated!!
Ask Hamlius to split this into a new thread; they kinda frown on piggybacking onto a current thread.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/627085/boot-issues/
Relevancy 35.69%

Hey guys,

I've been getting this error every time I start up my computer. It's been doing this for many months now, but it is starting to get quite annoying, so I figured I'd solve it now.

I am running Windows XP Service Pack 2, have all the current updates, and I am virus/spyware/adware/anyotherware free.

With that taken care of...screen shots!

This is what comes up when first starting the computer:

Then, this pops up (if I let it go, or click cancel):

After clicking cancel (clicking Ok only repeats the disk error), this comes up:

Finally, this comes up:

If I click on continue, it just continues to pop up. The only solution that I have found to make it go away is if I hold Escape. Any and all help would be appreciated because it's really starting to slow down my boot-up.

Thanks in advance,
Yoshe

A:Boot-Up Issues.

hello & welcome to TSF ,

do you have a Windows Xp cd, not the restore cd's that come with some systems, the cd will have the Windows logo & 3D hollowgram/image on it

if you do not maybe you can barrow one from a friend/family member/co-worker as long as it is the same version that is on your system

if you have (Windows XP Home Ed. sp2 ) then the cd will have to be that / if you have a cd with (Windows XP Home Ed. )you will have to slipstream (SP2 ) onto a disk that you create

this also applies to (Windows XP Professsional )

http://www.helpwithwindows.com/Windo...p2-bootcd.html

now if you do have the Windows XP cd with sp2 please follow these steps

--------------------------------------------

performing a (sfc) system file checker

It is a scan that checks the core files & dlls of the (os) operating system and replaces them if they are corrupt or missing with the correct original version

start

#1 then select (run) , then press enter
a window will open
#2 type in ( cmd ) then press enter
another window will open
#3 type in ( sfc )then press enter
another window will open
#4 type in (sfc /purgecache) then enter / your pc will work like crazy / this helps in rebuiding the cache file (notice the space between (sfc & /)
#5 type in (sfc /scannow ) then press enter ( notice the space between the (sfc & / )

now a scan will start , have your (Windows XP software disk ready ) your pc may ask for this disc when it starts or during the scan( so you must sit with the pc while this scan functions ) , if it does then incert the cd into one of your cd/rom/player's , your pc will then reconnize it and continue , you will then have to minimize the splash screen for the cd to see the scan , when the scan is finished you will need to close the cd and all open windows , then remove the cd

you will then need to do a ( Disk Cleanup ) , then empty the caches & temp files thru the (Internet Options) , then do a defrag

restart your pc

then do a defrag again after the reboot

then get back to us

Mike

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/boot-up-issues-224033.html
Relevancy 35.69%

Yesterday I tried to get rid of my old XP partition from Boot Issues a dual boot machine but might have just messed things up a bit Windows wouldn't let me delete the XP partition since it was marked as active system etc So I booted up with a linux distro and deleted the partition and extended my Win partition to take up the extra space while I was there So XP is now gone Problem is I cannot boot Running prompt Boot Issues win disk shows that C is my data partition and D is my windows partition not sure how this happened since C used to be the win partition Tried startup repair it says no partition table found and tries to fix it Doesn't do anything no matter how many times I try I ran command prompt and found that bootrec fixboot says Element not found bcdedit says the same thing Trying bootrec RebuildBcd finds D Windows like it should but selecting to add it yields 'Element Not Found' Looking at the partitions under the 'Install' section on dvd shows both partitions are marked as logical There is no system or active partition Is there any way I can restore this without reinstalling windows I do have the data partition separate which is good but I still have a bunch of programs and such installed and it will take forever to Boot Issues restore all of those All of the guides on restoring the boot record seem to fail and I think it might have to do with the partitions both being labeled as logical and I have no system partition or active partition

I suspect that the key is in recreating the partition that you've deleted. Once that's done, you "may" be able to use Startup Repair to fix it.

If you're not able to recreate it, then I'd suspect that wiping the hard drive and reinstalling Windows is your only other recourse.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/109255-boot-issues.html
Relevancy 35.69%

My Dell Inspiron 6000 notebook w/ 512 MB Ram running XP sometimes takes up to 15 minutes to begin booting up. For 15 minutes there will be a blinking cursor in the top corner before I see the typical "Dell" then "Microsoft" bootup signs. I ran Adaware and Spybot and Antivirus and this seemed to solve the problem temporarily. Now the problem comes and goes. The computer still has Mcafee that was pre-installed, but with no paid subscription. And Mcafee still sends the "update" popups, even after I though I've disabled them. Could the Mcafee be causing the problems?
Any advice short of re-formating and re-installing XP is much appreciated.
Thank you
-HLH