Windows Support Forum

Is it worth overclocking my EVGA GTX 570

Q: Is it worth overclocking my EVGA GTX 570

I recently bought my gtx 570 and love it does everything I want (havent tested very demanding games just yet) and I was wandering is there any game out there that I would have to overclock it

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Is it worth overclocking my EVGA GTX 570

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Is it worth overclocking my EVGA GTX 570

Well what games do you play? BF3 for example would benefit from an overclock. You should be able to get 800-850Mhz without a voltage tweak.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-worth-overclocking-my-evga-gtx-570.181356/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hello, for a long while I were trying to find a good tutorial or a anwser to how to overclock a i5 760 @ 2.80GHz
and I dont really want to fry my CPU so im open for suggestions on how can I overclock it.
CPU cant handle new games and I dont really have money to get a better one...
Thanks in advance

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-a-i5-760.216408/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi All I m planning to build my first ever desktop since my laptop is already having problems and I think it s going to die soon I m going to use the computer mainly for doing D digital artworks editing videos as well as playing games specifically MMORPGs and some like PC First Overclocking) (NO Advice Need Build Gaming Alice Madness amp Skyrim I ll be playing the heavier games on the console so no need to have a monster pc I just First Gaming PC Build Need Advice (NO Overclocking) want something that would accommodate my main use and last First Gaming PC Build Need Advice (NO Overclocking) me a while before I would have the need to upgrade again I also have a budget that I have to stick to I live in the Philippines so it will be Php - Php in USD I think it would be around - As stated above I won t be doing any overclocking whatsoever Here are the specifications of the build I was planning CPU Intel Core i - Processor M Cache up to GHz Motherboard Asus H -PRO GAMER VideoCard EVGA GeForce GTX Ti Superclocked Memory Vengeance Low Profile GB Dual Channel DDR Memory Kit CML GX M A C Storage Samsung GB EVO quot SATA SSD Storage Western Digital Caviar Black TB quot RPM Power Supply Seasonic X W Gold CPU Cooler Cooler Master Seidon V Hybrid Optical Drive ASUS D ST BLACK X SATA Case Obsidian Series D Mid-Tower PC Case Case Fan Scythe Kaze Jyuni PWM mm rpm CFM x Since this is a first opinions are greatly appreciated I m open for First Gaming PC Build Need Advice (NO Overclocking) suggestions if you think there are better parts that should replace the ones listed It would also be very nice if it would be cheaper without losing the performance and quality Thanks in advance nbsp

A:First Gaming PC Build Need Advice (NO Overclocking)

Thorah said:

Hi All,

I'm planning to build my first ever desktop since my laptop is already having problems and I think it's going to die soon...

I'm going to use the computer mainly for doing 2D digital artworks, editing videos as well as playing games, specifically MMORPGs and some like Alice Madness & Skyrim.
I'll be playing the heavier games on the console so no need to have a monster pc.
I just want something that would accommodate my main use and last me a while before I would have the need to upgrade again.

I also have a budget that I have to stick to. I live in the Philippines so it will be Php 50,000 - Php 55,000 , in USD I think it would be around $ 1000 - $ 1200.

As stated above, I won't be doing any overclocking whatsoever.

Here are the specifications of the build I was planning.

CPU: Intel® Core? i5-4690 Processor (6M Cache, up to 3.90 GHz)
Motherboard: Asus H97-PRO GAMER
VideoCard: EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked
Memory: Vengeance® Low Profile ? 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9)
Storage: Samsung 120 GB 840 EVO 2.5" SATA SSD
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Power Supply: Seasonic X650 650W 80+ Gold
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V Hybrid
Optical Drive: ASUS24D3ST BLACK 24X SATA
Case: Obsidian Series® 450D Mid-Tower PC Case
Case Fan: Scythe Kaze Jyuni PWM 120mm, 1300rpm, 74CFM (x3)

Since this is a first, opinions are greatly appreciated. I'm open for suggestions if you think there are better parts that should replace the ones listed. It would also be very nice if it would be cheaper without losing the performance and quality.

Thanks in advance!Click to expand...

What programs do you specifically use for video editing and such?

Also a couple of notes:
1: That PSU is a bit overkill for that build or most builds. I would suggest a Gold Rated 550Watt as being a cheaper better option for you.
2: Save a couple of bucks and grab a Western Digital Blue 1tb HDD or a Seagate Barracuda 1tb HDD. WD Black HDD's are awesome but generally they are a bit more for not much of a difference overall.

Can you link the site from which you are ordering your parts from?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/first-gaming-pc-build-need-advice-no-overclocking.210692/
Relevancy 29.67%

Nvidia has once again decided to prevent some notebook owners from overclocking their Maxwell-based GeForce GTX 900M GPUs, after removing the restriction in a March driver update.

Read more

A:Nvidia quietly blocks GeForce GTX 900M overclocking once again

Why would nVidia do this secretively? This just erodes their relationship with gamers and their buyers... At least give a SIMPLE statement: "Overclocking was shown to make GPUs unstable and lessen their lifespans, so we disabled the overclocking ability in R350 drivers again". No need to keep that secret.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-quietly-blocks-geforce-gtx-900m-overclocking-once-again.213338/
Relevancy 28.81%

Controversy surrounding the GTX 970 aside, the 900 series GPUs from Nvidia is among the most anticipated graphics chips in recent memory. The mobile variants are especially impressive as they narrow the performance gap between their desktop counterparts to 80...

Read more

A:Nvidia removes overclocking from 900M mobile GPUs, a feature advertised on some notebooks

LOL it is clearly a move by Nvidia to force people to upgrade more often. They will probably take the 980m and do the same thing they did with the 680MX -> keep re-releasing it with 10% higher clocks every year.

Problem is that someone with a 680mx could just overclock it 30% and get an 880m. However this should be a problem for Nvidia, not us. If they want us to upgrade, give us something worth upgrading to!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-removes-overclocking-from-900m-mobile-gpus-a-feature-advertised-on-some-notebooks.208906/
Relevancy 31.82%

My current spec is:

Intel Core duo 2 quad @ 2.4 GHz
305w psu
AMD 7770 gfx card
4 GB ddr2 ram
64 bit win 7 home prem.

I mostly play WoW and other mmo's... I rarely (and wouldnt be too bothered if I couldn't play them till next upgrade) play games with super high requirements like battlefield, gta etc and have the option to upgrade my graphics card to a 750 ti tomorrow (can get a new psu if needed).

or should I wait till next week and get a I5 + new motherboard and ram + keep my gfx card... link to exact model - http://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/b72/his-hd-7770-iceq-x.html

How would gaming be on a machine with the specs of:

Intel core duo 2 quad 2.4 GHZ
GTX 750 TI
4GB ddr2 ram

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-it-worth-upgrading-my-gfx-card-in-this-situation.212087/
Relevancy 30.53%

So I recently started to overclock to boost performance out of my old cpu,core i3-530..I could manage 3.6 ghz at stock volt..with more volts, I have clocked till 4.07 ghz..I don't see any point crossing that barrier.Here's my concern..Is it safe to overclocked(say 3.6ghz) and then reset it back to default/stock frequently or rather set to a certain speed and keep it as it is..I am concern with longevity of processor and power consumption since I couldn't set the bios to increase or decrease the clock hertz as windows does at its default..

A:Overclocking and resetting to stock frequently

What voltage did you use to get to 4ghz? If we know that we can kinda say if its a safe day to day OC voltage. If your planning on running your system Overclocked all the time I have always kept speedstep/cool and quiet enabled to allow the cpu to down clock when idle to save on power and I have gotten 3+ years out of every chip I have overclocked while doing that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-and-resetting-to-stock-frequently.208746/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hi all. Simple question.
Would a Intel Q9550 Quad core CPU be worth the $100(AUD) I can get one for, over my current CPU?
I know my rigs old but shes all ive got for now until I built one from scratch in about 2 years time.
Uses are web,email, gaming, some photo editing, storing/opening manuals/catalogues and some 3D work such as google sketch ect....Any/all help appreciated.
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz
4.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 533MHz (7-7-7-20)
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5G41T-M LX (LGA775)
VS248 ([email protected])
1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 5700 Series (XFX Pine Group)
465GB SAMSUNG HD501LJ ATA Device (SATA)
SONY DVD RW DRU-840A ATA Device
ASUS Xonar DGX Audio Device
PSU Silverstone 500w SST-ST50F-230

A:Intel Q9550 worth $100 (AUD)?

The Q9550 is still a solid quad core CPU, especially in comparison to the E7500 which is a bit anaemic thanks to its 3MB L2 cache (the Q9550 of course is blessed with 12MB). If completion time is a priority for content creation then it does represent a decent upgrade for your system.

I wouldn't recommend any overclocking adventures with that board though. While virtually any Q9550 (especially the E0 revision) runs at 400 FSB ( 3.4GHz) or better with anything above the stock cooler, the power draw goes up fairly markedly also, so stability is very dependant upon the voltage regulation of the board and the PSU's capacity.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-q9550-worth-100-aud.207146/
Relevancy 32.68%

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FWD2TW

all the parts etc will they last ? I wont be doing hardcore like using it all the time but I do want top of the line stuff. I don't mind prices at all. I like to pay for stuff thats worth it.

What could I edit in this build to to make it either better bang for its buck and better for performance?

I want to play all games at ultra and I want to be able to not upgrade anything for a couple years or so.
I mainly will be playing old games like modding GTA IV etc...

A:Is this build worth it?

Surprised no one has responded to this yet.
Without knowing what games you might eventually get, its hard to build a computer that can play "ultra" setting. Games being released now are requiring better (if not top of the line - depending on the game) components.
If you were to use the existing setup that you have linked, I would suggest changing a couple things:
The RAM is rated at 1.6V and the motherboard is 1.5V. This is a small issue, but you should try to make sure that it is the same voltage. Makes for less "headaches" while trying to setup the computer. I would also suggest with the RAM - go 16GB (2x8GB) instead of 8GB (2x4GB). 8GB is the norm for gaming now, but who knows in the future. Better to get it now and out of the way, if you can afford it.
I would suggest getting a 800W (or higher) Power Supply instead of the 600W you have listed. This way "if" you do decide to get a different (or add a second) video card, you will have plenty of power to supply to it.
Last thing is you did not include a case to house all of these parts. I would suggest something that has "breathing" room. Get a case that you can add in a couple case fans to create proper air circulation and help eliminate heat buildup.
This is all just my opinion though, so take it as you want. But if you really want to "future proof" as much as possible, my suggestions would help a good deal with doing so.
Let us know what you end up deciding and ultimately come out with when (and if) you build this computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-this-build-worth-it.207207/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hello guys, I've got a simple question I'm looking for anyone who tried to OC this card and could tell me his or hers experience with it. Whether it runs too hot. What is the perfect clock speed and etc.

Thanks for any replies.

A:Gigabyte GTX 780 GHz overclocking

I have one - in an SLI configuration with an EVGA SC.
Without upping voltage mine doesn't really OC that well ( 1070MHz core vs 1020MHz it ships with). Add a bit of voltage and it hits 1120 core (1225 boost) easily enough. It can go a little higher, but the EVGA can't keep pace (the Gigabyte is B1 silicon). Be aware that the Gigabyte's stock clock means absolutely nothing. Gaming with the card will peg the frequency at 1160-1198 depending upon the game or benchmark. Here's a Heaven run to show what I mean...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gigabyte-gtx-780-ghz-overclocking.205418/
Relevancy 33.11%

Hi all I currently regrettably own a hp pavilion t and I m trying to make the thing last a while I do a lot of gaming and have since upgraded the PSU to a corsair w along with adding in an nvidia TI At this point I feel like the processor might be showing its age With the limited cooling GPU stays cool under load but is not going to handle any OCing and the limited MOBO functionality OCing my beloved i is very likely out of the picture to it 950 worth Is me? i7 an My question will the board support an i or Same socket and memory type along with still being X or will the bios limitations of my motherboard make that a moot point Additionally do you think there are any real performance gains to be had with an upgrade such as this Am I coming at it all wrong My main goals are to run The Witcher and Dragon Age Inquisition at reasonable settings on p i s can be had for around - so Is an i7 950 worth it to me? I m not sure how much better they Is an i7 950 worth it to me? perform in gaming with albeit slightly higher clock speed Should I just save for a new build I ll never buy off the shelf again Thanks nbsp

A:Is an i7 950 worth it to me?

Motherboard Specifications, IPMTB-TK (Truckee) HP Pavilion Elite e9150t CTO Desktop PC | HP® Support

This might help you out. In the long run saving for a new build. Would be the better choice. Retail computers are not much for upgrading. Most as you no are very limited.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-an-i7-950-worth-it-to-me.205034/
Relevancy 32.25%

I just got an old GPU, Club 3D GeForce GT220 (CGNX-G222YLI) so I was wondering that is it worth using this as a dedicated physex GPU and if it is then how should I do that?

Just to save your time I'll add my system specs here:
MOBO: Asus P6T SE
CPU: Intel i7-920 @3GHz
GPU: XFX HD7790
PSU: Chieftec 750W

A:Dedicated GPU for physex, is it worth it?

Well first of all naturally you cannot put an AMD GPU and an Nvidia GPU together and use the Physx (Well dedicate it to the GPU). Nvidia disables that technology when it detects an AMD card (as the primary) and you can only use the CPU bound version.

Now then, you can do something called Hybrid PhysX which uses a mod and old driver that allows this idea (AMD main GPU and Nvidia PhysX GPU) to work.

Hybrid PhysX

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dedicated-gpu-for-physex-is-it-worth-it.204686/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hey there,

This was my first time overclocking a computer. After doing everything my computer started up normal. My question is when using "cpu-z" it show's my computer at normal core speed 3.4ghz However if I go back into the bios and check it's telling me I am overclocked to 4.3ghz.

I looked at a lot of video's to give me the basic's and chose this one because it was the same bios.
i5 4670k @ 4.3GHz Overclock ASRock Z87 Extreme4
www.youtube.com

I am running the I5 4670k with the corsair 75 water cooler and GTX 770

A:Not sure if overclocking worked

I'm not an expert but from what I can see the top bit (Specification shows the stock specifications of the CPU when you take it out of the box but the Core Speed is what the CPU is currently clocked at.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/not-sure-if-overclocking-worked.204004/
Relevancy 31.82%

I'm considering the upgrade above. The problem is all the reviews on both coolers were made with different cpus at different overclocking settings. I even tried to narrow the comparisons to a common denominator, like the intel stock cooler, which is sometimes present in most reviews, but even then, different cpus were used, making the info not that reliable. After some reading, I understood that the H60 is more silent and, obviously, occupies much less space, win-win situation. But regarding the performance, the info is rather cloudy.

Does anyone know anything on the subject?

A:CM Hyper 212 Plus to Corsair H60 - worth the upgrade?

Alpha Gamer said:

I'm considering the upgrade above. The problem is all the reviews on both coolers were made with different cpus at different overclocking settings. I even tried to narrow the comparisons to a common denominator, like the intel stock cooler, which is sometimes present in most reviews, but even then, different cpus were used, making the info not that reliable. After some reading, I understood that the H60 is more silent and, obviously, occupies much less space, win-win situation. But regarding the performance, the info is rather cloudy.

Does anyone know anything on the subject?Click to expand...

Personally I have played with H60's and Hyper212's and they both offer very similar performance. I would not count that as a worth upgrade except if you want a more silent system because the Hyper212 is already such an excellent air cooler and the H60 is kinda a low end liquid cooler.

Based on my experience, the same clock on the same chip result in the H60 (The only time I tested something like this was on a Phenom II X6 1100T at 4.0ghz) being a tad bit more silent, but the overclocking headroom remains the same for the most part (Within margin of error).

If you really want to move to Liquid cooling or upgrade for better clocks and a more silent system. Either an H80 style cooler or H100i (Or a likes AIO Liquid cooler) would be the best solution to go from a Hyper212.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cm-hyper-212-plus-to-corsair-h60-worth-the-upgrade.202924/
Relevancy 32.25%

I'm planning on getting Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti, the problem is I got a pc for like 2006 and it's a dual core 2.60 ghz at 2.80 overclocked, ati hd radeon 4650, 2g kingston ddr3 ram.

is it worth getting with this pc or do I need a better one? I mainly play WoW, will this card enable me ultra graphics and shadows, or will the cpu slow me down?

will I also be able to have max multisample

thanks guys

With this settings I can get 60fps when alone questing with low ground radius and low view distance and low shadow, the rest can go max, but multisampling just on x2 makes it really slow

If not which one is recommended for a more independent gpu experience. my wow runs fairly well with max textures at what I have now, will the improvement be worth?

A:Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti, is it worth getting under my situation?

Did you buy your PC as a whole unit or did you build it (or have it built)? Are you running a 32 bit or 64 bit Operating System? What is your wattage rating on the Power Supply? If this was a computer you bought, what is the Make and Model?
Just trying to get more information about your current computer so we can make a better judgment. I could say that yes the card would better your performance, but I would also suggest other things first. Like adding more RAM (2GB is just not enough for modern games). Possibly replacing the CPU with one that is better suited for your needs (if the motherboard can handle it). Also with adding a Video card of that class, you will most likely have to replace the power supply, depending on what it is rated.
But I'm getting ahead of myself, lets get more information from you to start.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gigabyte-gtx-750-ti-is-it-worth-getting-under-my-situation.201110/
Relevancy 35.69%

I AM UPGRADING FROM A RADEON 5700 1G TO A
EVGA SuperClocked 03G-P4-2666-KR GeForce GTX 660 3GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP
is this a good enough step up to play battle field 4 at a high level?
low on cash but this card I found seems to have what I need plus maybe a few yrs in it before a upgrade is needed. any input would be appreciated.
reason I ask is I have a day to cancel and get something else but I am not real good with computers. I am running a phenom quad core with 4 gigs of ram on win 7 ultimate and a 600 watt power supply and 1t hard drive

OH AND MY MOTHERBOARD IS A GA-MA785GM-US2H

A:EVGA SuperClocked 03G-P4-2666-KR GeForce GTX 660 3GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP

This should answer your question. The GTX 660 has 30FPS with ultra quality at 1680x1050. Lowering the quality settings to high, raised the frame rate to nearly 50FPS.
http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/

Final Thought:

If you can live with high settings however, you'll boost your frame rates by around 60%, sometimes as much as 80%, which is enough to make the GTX 660 and HD 7850 practical options. ...
Fortunately, there's less to consider when choosing a processor -- just make sure you have a quad-core chip. It doesn't even have to be a new one, as even the Core i7-920 and Phenom II X4 980 took care of business. ...Click to expand...

Side note:

As was the case with Battlefield 3, as long as your processor has four cores/threads, it shouldn't have a problem in EA's latest shooter. The only processors to struggle were the dual-core AMD Phenom and Athlon CPUs, while the game can utilize up to eight threads if your chip has them on tap.Click to expand...

Another improvement would be to get 8GB memory. In my opinion 4GB is boarder-line to being sufficient.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/evga-superclocked-03g-p4-2666-kr-geforce-gtx-660-3gb-192-bit-gddr5-pci-express-3-0-x16-hdcp.202193/
Relevancy 37.41%

PSU issue I think

heres what it is when I first installed this card (had a 500w antec psu) the comp was fine till I played diablo and poof shut off the comp via psu , so decide to get a thermaltake 2 600w and hook tht up now ot plays for a longer time
but does the same thing,I took the card back and got a new one of the same
same thing happens , so I decided to try a different approach and I have a psu I modded for xbox 360 tht is wired to stay on and I ran the card powered by tht and was able to play for hours and only 2 times it shut that psu off suggestions or now a psu tht doesnt get fooled so easy or what is really going on...lol thank you

A:PSU issue with evga gtx 660 superclocked

If you got a different video card and a different PSU, chances are there is something else wrong unless you got very unlucky and got another bad part from one of the two things swapped out.
My guess would be one of the following just from one you said:
The new PSU is bad as well
The CPU is overheating and shutting off
GPU could be overheating and shutting off (Though this is unlikely)
Those are just a few things to check, I would go into the bios and see what temp the CPU is running at while in there and decide if its running above what it should be. If that's not the issue I would try returning the PSU for a different one and see if that fixes the issue. Though the fact that the machine shuts off with 3 different PSU's points to a different part being an issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/psu-issue-with-evga-gtx-660-superclocked.201615/
Relevancy 32.68%

Ok guys. I am planning to build a system(of course a PC)and I really wanth to know is it worth it, I want to hear your oppinions.
CPU-AMD Athlon X4 760K
MB-MSI A88XM E35
GPU-MSI R7 260X
RAM-Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
HDD-500GB WD Caviar Blue
PSU-Corsair CX430
Case-I am still thinking about it, maybe Cooler Master K280
I am curious are these parts all compatible and can I run Battlefield 3 on ultra with this?
Thanks guys.

A:Is this system worth it?

ace2001 said:

Ok guys. I am planning to build a system(of course a PC)and I really wanth to know is it worth it, I want to hear your oppinions.
CPU-AMD Athlon X4 760K
MB-MSI A88XM E35
GPU-MSI R7 260X
RAM-Corsair Vengeance 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
HDD-500GB WD Caviar Blue
PSU-Corsair CX430
Case-I am still thinking about it, maybe Cooler Master K280
I am curious are these parts all compatible and can I run Battlefield 3 on ultra with this?
Thanks guys. Click to expand...

Well you will not get a smooth 60 FPS on Ultra in BF3 with this system. So I would say no you cannot run it on ultra since at the 1080p realm the card averages above 30FPS on ultra.

If you want a system to run BF3/4 on ultra, might we here your budget so we could help you pick out a better parts list?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-this-system-worth-it.201450/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi, I am planing to build a custom budget gamning PC.
Is this GPU(http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-SUPERCLOCKED-Graphics-02G-P4-2653-KR/dp/B00966IU9W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1396179748&sr=8-4&keywords=evga gtx 650 2 gb) or this (http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-GeForce-Dual-Link-Graphics-02G-P4-3751-KR/dp/B00IDG3PRI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1396179830&sr=8-2&keywords=evga gtx 650 2 gb) really worth it and does it fits to this:

AMD Athlon X4 760K-CPU
MSI FM2 A75MA E35-MOTHERBOARD
Corsair Vengeance 1600 Mhz 4 or 8 GB-RAM
Corsair CX430-PSU
NZXT Source 210-CASE
WD Caviar Blue 500 GB-HDD
Sorry for my english.
Thanks in advance.

A:Is EVGA GTX 650 2 GB worth it?

Do you have a budget for how much you can spend on the Video Card itself? I would suggest shopping around because Amazon doesn't always have the best deals. Depending on where you are located, you could find some really sweet deals. Spending another $10 you can get an EVGA GeForce GTX 750 Ti Superclocked 2GB ( http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487024 ) or for the same price as GTX 650 you can get a PNY GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB ( http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=8906822&CatId=7387 ). I'm not saying you have to buy either of those cards, just showing you that you have options. You could also go with an AMD video card if you wanted to. Let us know how much you can spend (on either just the Video Card or the whole system) and we can help you out.
Also, looking at the specs you included, it looks like you have a decent plan for the build. I would suggest getting 8GB of Ram, not just 4GB. If you want to game on it, then 8GB is pretty much the "safe zone" for gaming.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-evga-gtx-650-2-gb-worth-it.201248/
Relevancy 32.25%

So im getting a new pc next year and I want to make sure it can play next gen games?

http://www.komplett.dk/komplett-winter-gamer/10821#!tab:extra

Specs:
Cooler Master B500, 500W PSU

Intel Core i7-4770 Processor

MSI B85M-E45, Socket-1150

Crucial DDR3 BallistiX Sport 1600MHz 8GB

Gainward GeForce GTX 760 2GB PhysX CUDA

Toshiba Desktop 1TB SATA 3.0

Samsung DVD Writer, SH-224DB

Microsoft Windows 8.1 64-bit

A:Is thic PC worth buying?

I like the PC, but don't know how to interpret the price.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-thic-pc-worth-buying.198251/
Relevancy 30.53%

Since the "turboboost" crap is complete garbage, (thing never goes up from 1.4 to 2.3) i thought i would set it to manually go up to 2.3. I had it working at 2.3 at 1.4125 (MIGHT have been lower...), but it bluescreened after a little while in MW3. And it was getting warm rather fast.
So I was wondering what a good voltage would be for 2.3 GHz (because the 1.3 to 2.3 raised dolphin emulation from 50% speed to 80% speed, which is playable).
I dont want too much heat as I understand that while laptops are designed to get hotter too much heat can prove fatal, and this being a new laptop and all, i want it to last as long as possible. At 1.4, it gets warm, but never too hot to touch.
Also, i upgraded to 6GB of ram, and was wondering if I could change the 512 MB allocated to the chips 6520g graphics card to 2 GB. is that possible?

Thanks!

A:A6-3400M: Overclocking, allocating more VRAM?

I wouldn't OC a laptop as cooling is always an issue.

ikesmasher said:

Also, i upgraded to 6GB of ram, and was wondering if I could change the 512 MB allocated to the chips 6520g graphics card to 2 GB. is that possibleClick to expand...

No.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a6-3400m-overclocking-allocating-more-vram.178335/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hi, what is the most overclockable GTX 770?

Thanks

A:Overclocking a GTX 770

If you want a very good overclock on a 770, you will need a GPU with a custom PCB and 2, 8 pin connectors (recommended). I recommend the MSI GTX 770 Lightning. The Gigabyte GTX770 3x Windforce is also pretty good but lacks the 2, 8 pin connectors that the lightning has. Keep in mind that some of these cards are factory overclocked and dont have much more breathing room for OCing unless you watercool. Also, OC a GPU too a very high level can lower its lifespan considerably.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-a-gtx-770.195996/
Relevancy 31.39%

I have an old PC and want to boost up it's specification using overclock but what does it actually do?

A:What actually is overclocking

Reference Wikipedia:
"Overclocking is the process of making a computer or component operate faster than the clock frequency specified by the manufacturer by modifying system parameters (hence the name "overclocking"). Operating voltages may also be changed (increased), which can increase the speed at which operation remains stable. Most overclocking techniques increase power consumption, generating more heat, which must be dispersed if the chip is to remain operational."

What is the make and model of the computer you are trying to overclock? You say it's an old PC, but how old is it? If you have never overclocked anything before, then you really need to study (read) up on it before attempting to do it. Not trying to discourage you from trying, but if you do something wrong, you could cause damage to the computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-actually-is-overclocking.195958/
Relevancy 30.96%

I have an intel core i7 4770k and I'm not overclocking it at the moment. My idle temps are around 28 degrees Celsius. Is it still necessary to run a program like prime95 and stress test my cpu even though I am not overclocking?

A:Do I need to stress test if I'm not overclocking?

It's not necessary, but you can still check the stability of your system, regardless of whether you are over-clocking. I've heard many times, servers are done so to prepare them for future task. Running the test will allow them to potentially catch any issues before they are brought on-line.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/do-i-need-to-stress-test-if-im-not-overclocking.195749/
Relevancy 37.41%

I have had this card for a little over 2 years. Now I want to upgrade to something better because I not only game, but hook my computer up to my Sony HDTV for movies and such.
My system Specs:
Intel core i7 960 (3.85 GHz)
18GB RAM (corsair vengeance? forgot)
512GB SSD (OCZ vertex 4)
EVGA GTX 560 TI Superclocked (want to upgrade?)
650w PSU

I am looking at maybe a EVGA GTX 760 Superclocked or around that price range of $250. I do not want to SLI my 560 because I don't think my PSU can handle it and heat issues.

Any suggestions or advice? Thank you guys in advance you are the greatest!!!!!

A:Upgrading from EVGA GTX 560 TI Superclocked

The GTX 760 is a good choice. Other option in that price range would be a HD 7950.

Btw playing movies through a TV doesn't warrant an upgrade since it's not GPU intensive. You should see a nice performance bump when playing graphically demanding games though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/upgrading-from-evga-gtx-560-ti-superclocked.195869/
Relevancy 37.84%

Alright so I got a new video card for an old build with a dying video card The new one is an evga GTX non ti non overclocked The problem is upon installing the drivers the PC bluescreens while at the starting windows screen The message says attempt to restart the graphics driver and recover failed or whatever it is along those lines the stop message ix x driver in question is nvlddmkm sys I have eliminated as far as I can tell the possibility of a driver problem I tried driver sweeper once tried two versions of drivers the one on the disc and the latest from online and I simply just uninstalled and reinstalled numerous times Anyway I have eliminated the possibility of drivers im fairly sure and the possibility of a bad motherboard as my GT is working perfectly as I type this on the PC in question Noteably the GT bluescreens 660 Troubleshooting an evga GTX about once a week or so with the same message of driver recovery failed I could not tell you if the stop message is the same if it happens again ill update thread This only happens after a while of gaming or sometimes tabbing in and out of games Temperatures are reasonable not a cause Troubleshooting an evga GTX 660 I might also say that the card DID boot ubuntu live off a USB and display the screen in p quite well It also works fine in safe mode for windows I couldnt get any of the GPU diagnostics tools in ubuntu to work though-most seemed to be unavailable Troubleshooting an evga GTX 660 to download the nvidia drivers didnt like live copy So my question is could the OS itself be the problem Should I attempt to make a small linux partition Or is Troubleshooting an evga GTX 660 it more likely than not just a faulty card Im about done here I just want to know by tommorow if I can send the bloody thing back if it is indeed faulty Specs core quad Q GB ddr w PSU card appears to be working fine on it in terms of fan spinning slight heat generation Intel DG CN example link http compare ebay com like var lv amp ltyp AllFixedPriceItemTypes amp var sbar I know its not a good system to put a gtx on but the rest will be replaced eventually If its relevant my case has more than adequate cooling This is not what I wanted to do upon receiving a new card I wanted to game Please please help and thank you nbsp

A:Troubleshooting an evga GTX 660

The 660 requires a 450W PSU or greater, so you are fine. What OS do you have?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/troubleshooting-an-evga-gtx-660.195526/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hey I was just wondering what sort of overclocks I will be able to get with a sabertooth 990fx r2 and a noctua nh d14. I am also new to overclocking so I am wanting to overclock safely to start off with

A:Fx 8350 overclocking

Well as an owner of an FX-8350 gaming rig and loving overclocking, ill let you in on my system and how its been under my tested overclocks and such (Bear in mind, each chip is different)

I am using the Crosshair V-Z board by Asus so we both have the 990fx chipset and we will probably see similar results at least where the board is concerned. Though I am on liquid which will make things a little harder since your on air, but heres how im doing.

I have mine currently 24/7 at 4.7ghz (I have played with higher, but im still working on it for fun)
Temps Range ~28 idle to ~60 Celcius full load (Thats with video cards in my loop also producing heat)

Now I have my voltage currently set at 1.45 to achieve this overclock of 4.7ghz though that maybe a bit high on air cooling. I would stay no higher than 1.425 on the Noctua to keep temps down and no more than a 4.5ghz overclock on all 8 cores because the heat might get a little high. On the Core temp monitors, going above 60 on each core is considered running warm with 70 being hot. I think the thermal monitoring will not let the cores run above 70 (ill have to re-look that up, its not knowlege I keep on me).

Make sure when doing this to just kick turbo off because it can cause issues ive seen. If you want more advice on exact number, I can let you know some more, but for now I hope this help you in your journey!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fx-8350-overclocking.194093/
Relevancy 32.25%

I am soon building a small server computer and for this computer, I am getting 2 7200rpm drives. I am going to setup raid 1 for these 2 drives so if one fails, I have the other. I have never used any raid arrays before so I was wondering if it was worth getting a raid card supporting raid 1, or should I just stick with software raid. What are the downsides of using both? Thanks to anyone who helps.

A:Is a raid card worth it?

jobeard Will probably know best, but I can offer the little insight I know. RAID cards tend to be expensive, so that is something to take into consideration. Software RAIDs tend to slow down the CPU since the CPU must spend computing power driving the virtual (emulator) RAID array. I would personally avoid RAID, but for reliability purposes especially on servers, it may be worth looking into.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-a-raid-card-worth-it.193182/
Relevancy 31.39%

I have a three year old system and here are my specs everything runs stock right now Its been running stock the whole time but now when I play guildwars I seem to use a bvery high percentage of my cpu so I want to overclock Can anyone help me out with step by step instructions on how to overclock I dont want anything crazy just a little DO overclocking Help 920 i7 with my bump Here are all of my Help with overclocking my i7 920 DO specs that I think are deemed necessary If anything else needs to be known let me know CPU x Intel Core i - Bloomfield GHz LGA W Quad-Core Processor BX DO CPU Cooler x XIGMATEK Dark Knight II SD Night Hawk Edition CPU Cooler with Stealth Aerospace Industry Thermal conductive GPU x XFX HD- A-ZNBC Radeon HD Cypress Pro GB Black motherboard x EVGA E -A -Way SLI x x x LGA Intel X ATX Intel Motherboard GPU Edition -bit GDDR PCI Express x HDCP Ready CrossFire HD x Western Digital WD Black WD FALS TB RPM MB Cache SATA Gb s quot Internal Hard Drive PSU x CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU- TX W ATX V v SLI Ready CrossFire Ready PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible nbsp

A:Help with overclocking my i7 920 DO

There are plenty of great overclocking guides out there, just search "CPU overclocking guide" or something similar and you'll get plenty of good sites. (HERE and HERE are a couple of good ones)

As for my personal tips:
1. Take it slow, go up in small increments and test each setting. There's no point rushing with something like this.
2. Don't keep a stupid overclock. If you can run 2.9GHz at 85 degrees, and you see some good frame-rate improvements, there is no point running 3GHz at 95 degrees for 1 or 2 extra frames.
3. Have fun. Overclocking is cool

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-overclocking-my-i7-920-do.192910/
Relevancy 30.53%

I overclocked to 4.5ghz, and the intelburn test passes.

However, in speedfan I am a bit confused on the temperatures it is showing me.

Specifically the CPU temp vs the Core 0 temp.

The cpu temp stays nice and low during stress test (47c), but the Core 0 temp jumps to 87c.

What's the difference in those two readings and am I running too hot?

A:Overclocking i7-3770k, question about speedfan

I wouldn't even use speedfan to monitor temps. Download real temp or core temp and report back.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-i7-3770k-question-about-speedfan.192653/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hey all I decided I wanted to overclock my i to about Ghz as I ve seen that it can usually deal fairly well with that Overclock I have gone through some tutorials even looked up a guide the Problem i7-3770K overclocking by Asus telling me what I need to do as well however I m not having the best of luck First I ll tell you cooling feature I have a H i Watercooling unit on the processor it runs a load at about degrees Celsius with the odd spike and such for the Air flow management I have a Storm Stryker FT Case with the two fans on the drive bays and a third fan on the back of the case two mm on drive bays mm on back the Radiator with the two fans are on the celling of the case The total air flow is good and the temperature inside the case is about - degrees Problem overclocking the i7-3770K celcius The Motherboard is an Asus Sabertooth Z The UEFI Bios is good and is very informative with the overclocking possibility however it doesn t work for me that well at all I had to switch out my Problem overclocking the i7-3770K PSU and put in a Non Modular Corsair TX untill a new one is shipped out Don t know if that be the cause For some reason I think it is My problem is that no matter how I fiddle and test out the the Frequency and the the voltage I cannot get anything stable over Ghz it seems I did manage to get however it is not stable at all and so is true with anything higher than Ghz and adjusting the voltage core above seems to cut out the PC I managed to get to with Vcore at The DDRM Frequency is at Mhz Two Corsair vengence Gb Mhz ram At the moment I am completely stumped I don t want to go do more testing as I literally spent about hours trying to sort this out and I am fearing for the CPU Health From looking at most Guides Especially the Asus Guide using the same Processor and a Maximus and they all seem to be in accepting in that an frequencies of and a Vcore of about - Seems to be the most common I was hoping someone could help me out as I ve lost count how many times I ve seen that dreadful blue screen PS I will put up some Screenshots if need be but currently cannot as I am out nbsp

A:Problem overclocking the i7-3770K

Well you have to realise each chip will OC to a different level at a different voltage, so maybe you just haven't got a very good one...

Do you actually use any programs which make use of a 4.2+ Ghz OC? If not I would just leave it at 4.2Ghz @1.275V, Ivy Bridge chips get really hot once you start increasing the voltages so the extra heat/noise may not be worth it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-overclocking-the-i7-3770k.191710/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hi,can I overclock i5 3450 from 3.1 ghz to at least 3.2 ghz with using only the stock cpu cooler?
I am using gigabyte b75d3h
I know the following points:-
1.3450 is "non-K" hence cannot be efficiently OCed
2.b75 is not suitable for OCing
3.only 0.1ghz increase wont bring any major improvement

I am doing doing it only for fun!
Also if I successfully OC to 3.2 ghz then will it perform like a 3470?

Thanks in advance

A:Overclocking core i5 3450

Yes, that much of an overclock should not bring any major heat problems.

It's going to be a challenge without an unlocked chip, but you should be able to do it with. Happy overclocking :d

With the specs I've read on the two, besides the boost function it should perform on the same level.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-core-i5-3450.192780/
Relevancy 29.67%

A few months ago I updated my MSI Z A-GD to the latest BIOS quot vP quot which is still the latest settings Z68A-GD55 update won't MSI overclocking changes allow to BIOS after version on MSI s website as of today Since updating to this version the UEFI BIOS screen is totally different the layout has been changed entirely I was able to find the overclocking settings quickly but since the update the board will not allow me to change many settings All CPU Memory chipset voltage adjustments CPU ratio adjustments bclock adjustments etc are all either greyed MSI Z68A-GD55 won't allow changes to overclocking settings after BIOS update out and cannot be selected at all or they are set to quot Auto quot and that is the only available option for them This is a solid overclocking motherboard from what I ve heard online and I m running a K series CPU k so I m really perplexed as to why I can t even adjust the supposedly unlocked CPU ratio on my k I USED to be able to use these settings before the BIOS flash Also I can t seem to find anyone online who s having a similar problem as me As it stands now the only overclocking I can do is with MSI s quot OC Genie II quot which basically automatically overclocks for me I think this is totally ridiculous why is MSI s automated tool allowed to touch these settings when I can t modify them manually Anyone have any idea what s going on My first thought was that maybe there is a setting somewhere in the BIOS that must be enabled first in order to open up the overclocking settings but I searched far and wide and couldn t find one Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:MSI Z68A-GD55 won't allow changes to overclocking settings after BIOS update

Yeah, I think there is a setting somewhere that is checked to auto. Try exploring all the tabs of the BIOS screen and report back if you find anything.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/msi-z68a-gd55-wont-allow-changes-to-overclocking-settings-after-bios-update.191535/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hi, is it safe to overclock a zotac gtx 660 on a b75 gigabyte mother board without a gpu cooler?

A:Overclocking GTX 660

How do you not have a GPU cooler?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-gtx-660.191279/
Relevancy 32.68%

So I've found a laptop for £300 with the following specifications: Intel Core i3-2350M 2.3GHz, 500HDD, 4GB RAM, 15.6inch screen, Intel HD Graphics 3000, 7hours 30mins battery life, Windows 7 (thankfully), 1 year guarantee and Microsoft Office 2010 Starter pack. I was wondering if this is a good deal since a lot of my friends have mixed feelings. Thanks.

A:Is this laptop worth £300?

That is a pretty bad deal. You can easily get a laptop with a newer CPU and graphics for less than 500 USD (300 euros). I am looking at laptops here in the US, but it is most likely the same in the UK.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-this-laptop-worth-%C2%A3300.191130/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hi everyone My current specs are as folllows Intel i K Stock ASUS GTX DCII Stock GSkill Ripjaws x GB Currently gaming on a Samsung SyncMaster B quot monitor The resolution is only x Hz I was thinking that I should pick up a new monitor to justify the rig that I ve built I have been looking at quot monitors that have a resolution of x Now here s the dilemma I see a lot of Hz monitors and people saying that they are much better suited to gaming especially FPS which is what I for -- Monitor worth advice gaming? 120Hz it usually enjoy Upon researching a bit I Monitor advice -- 120Hz worth it for gaming? came upon the BenQ XL T It s quite expensive but I might just be able to pick it up if it s completely worth it So here are my questions Has anyone had any experience with the BenQ XL T and what are your views Is Hz worth it and will there be any noticeable difference Will my single GTX be able to handle it Just for perspective I run Crysis a little over FPS average with all settings Very High FXAA and Transparency AA enabled in nVidia Control Panel I m also open to OCing my GPU and CPU using a Corsair H Any other suggestions Look forward to your responses nbsp

A:Monitor advice -- 120Hz worth it for gaming?

The 670 will be able to give you those 120 fps in less demanding games, however you may end up turning the quality and resolution down for the more demanding titles (such as Crysis 3). So you have a choice, sacrifice image quality for more fluid game-play, or get an IPS monitor, which will give you much superior color, but you'll have to live with 60 fps. (In my opinion, 60fps is enough, although that's a matter of opinion)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/monitor-advice-120hz-worth-it-for-gaming.190206/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi, I've been trying to oc my CPU on this mobo with no luck at all. since the multiplier is locked im playing with the bus speed and the vcore. The mobo has an auto oc utility it got my cpu to 3.3 but it takes down the dram freq to ~900 (why? idk) and sets vcore to 1.425 I think other stuff are the same. 3.3 isnt bad at all but why take down my ddr3 1600 to ~900??

specs:
Mobo: ASUS M5A88-M
CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 240 @ 2.8Ghz (stock)
Memory: 2x4GB kingston hyperX blu Red DDR3 1600 CL9 6-6-6-18
PSU: HEC Raptor 500w
Video Card: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD6670 1GB GDDR5
Cooler: CoolerMaster TX3

PS: Memory Currently running on 1333 not 1600

A:Overclocking AMD Athlon II x2 240 on Asus M5A88-M

Ok freaking bios was acting up updated it to the latest version and everything seems to be working like a charm
got it to 3.3 idle 39c max load 60c also got my memory to run @ 1600 9-9-9-24 vcore 1.425.
currently running prime25, are those settings ok or did I screw something up ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-amd-athlon-ii-x2-240-on-asus-m5a88-m.189323/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi,in the 3dmark 11 score it shows the gpu core clock is 549 mhz,but in gpu-z it shows 1116 mhz
and also in default the score was 6408 and on overclocking 12.5% the score reduced to 6173!!
Please help

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gtx-660-3dmark11-score-falls-after-overclocking.189299/
Relevancy 36.98%

I noticed after I installed beta driver 310.70 that temps at idle were way up, about 41c, so I removed the card and cleaned the fan and heatsink with compressed air (it wasn't very dirty). Still high temps afterwards, started looking at settings, and noticed that the card was no longer idling down (staying at 981 MHz core and 2257 MHz memory all the time). That explains the high temps, but how do I fix this problem. I tried a completely clean install of the stable driver (306.97) per a guide on the proper way to update Nvidia drivers, but the problem remains. Checked all the BIOS settings, multiple monitor is disabled, etc. Checked all settings in Nvidia Control Panel. Any help will be much appreciated! BTW I am running Windows 8 Pro x64

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/evga-550ti-superclocked-wont-idle-down.188189/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hi

What's the recommended procedure of overclocking the graphics card?
Anything else that can go horribly wrong except overheating and noticing artifacts?
Any good software for testing that include 3D animations to detect artifacts?
Been think about OCCT or MSI Kombustor maybe.

Regards

A:Overclocking Asus 7870 2GB DC2

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/radeon_hd_7870_overclock_guide,1.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-asus-7870-2gb-dc2.186623/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hey Guys ,

am new to overclocking for AMD.
can anyone suggest best oc values for Athlon 64 x2 4600+ ????

Thanks in advance

A:Overclocking AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+

I dont think this CPU can be OCed. If it can, you will need a aftermarket cooler and look up some values online because this is a very old cpu

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-amd-athlon-64-x2-4600.186204/
Relevancy 31.39%

I have a i7 860 cpu with 8gb of corsair ram at 1600 clock speeds.
I have a 750 watt psu and a intel p55wg motherboard.
I want to overclock this as high and stable as possible and I have overclocked many amd proccessors but never intel.

Any help would be great, I have found reviews and guides but they dont make much sense. Sorry for bad english this is written on my phone.

A:Core i7-860 CPU overclocking

Saw this one my phone, be home in twenty minutes. Shouldn't be hard to oc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/core-i7-860-cpu-overclocking.186246/
Relevancy 31.39%
A:Razer Megalodon -- does it still have problems? Any other headsets worth considering?

I've never liked remotes on the cable, they get in the way and weigh the cable down when you're wearing the headset. For that reason I got the Logitech G35 which has a roller and some buttons on the earcup, and I can really recommend them. The Corsair Vengeance 1500 also delivers excellent sound. Haven't tried the Megalodon but have owned the cheaper Carcharias and was not very impressed - sound was very average and felt a bit flimsy.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/razer-megalodon-does-it-still-have-problems-any-other-headsets-worth-considering.185392/
Relevancy 31.39%

Just a quick question.

Is it true that more DIMMS = less stable machine / lower overclock?

So if you have lets say 4 slots and you fill them up, you would get better performance and more stable machine with only 2 slots of the 4 filled out?

I heard this somewhere some time ago, not sure if its true or just a random claim.

A:Overclocking and RAM sticks

It used to be very true. Memory controllers used to be a lot more fickle than they are at present, and certain vendors motherboards had OC'ing and stability issues when fully populated (Gigabyte and MSI's P45/X48/X38/P35 range seemed particularly afflicted)
Having said that, with the advent of the memory controller moving to the CPU in Intel boards in recent years, better/cleaner power delivery, lower RAM operating voltage, and dedicated power regulation for RAM operation the issue isn't generally a factor.

So the answer is No...or Yes, depending upon what system you're running.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-and-ram-sticks.184863/
Relevancy 31.39%

What exactly is Overclocking. How is it done (installed?) Once you have it, what does it do, and why.

A:What exactly is overclocking?

Over-clocking is increasing the frequency of which hardware operates. By increasing the frequency, you are forcing hardware to work faster and as a result hardware will reach hotter temperatures. There are several ways to over-clock. Over-clocking used to be done by changing jumper settings on the hardware itself. Over the past fifteen years, over-clocking has evolved in making changes within BIOS configurations. It's now possible to over-clock through Windows by simply pressing a button within an over-clocking application.

However you decide to over-clock, monitoring your systems temperatures is and will always be a full time job. If you are not willing to keep an eye on your system temperatures, over-clocking is not for you. Sure you can get a fantastic cooling system that will operate daily for years, but there is always the chance of failure and when that day comes, you will want to be watching.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-exactly-is-overclocking.183518/
Relevancy 30.53%

I'm not an enthusiast overclocker, so I was wondering if I can safely push my i5 2500K to 4GHz on stock voltages.
I have an ASUS P8P67 motherboard

A:Overclocking i5-2500k on stock voltages

I got to around 4.3Ghz with 2600K on stock voltages. From what I've read you should manage 4Ghz no problem with stock voltages with a 2500K. With no hyperthreading the temperatures at this speed should be less than my 2600K, so it should not even be a problem with stock heatsink from Intel. Although I'd still advocate using the Asus software to monitor the cpu temps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-i5-2500k-on-stock-voltages.169836/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi everyone!

Just received the following components for my new rig:

CPU - Intel i5 3570K
Mobo - ASRock Z77 Extreme 4
PSU - Corsair TX 750 V2
RAM - G-Skill 2x 4GB Ripjaws (1600MHz)
Cooler - Corsair H100
Case - Corsair Obsidian 650D
SSD - Corsair Force Series GT (120GB)
GPU - ASUS GTX 670 DCII

I would like some perspectives on overclocking this particular Ivy Bridge CPU from members who've had prior experience with it.

The same regarding the ASUS GTX 670 DCII (Non Top edition). Which software do you recommend for OCing the GPU?

A:Overclocking the i5-3570K and Asus GTX 670 DCII

Ritwik7 said:

I would like some perspectives on overclocking this particular Ivy Bridge CPU from members who've had prior experience with it Click to expand...

Ivy Bridge overclocking doesn't really differ from Sandy Bridge oc'ing. The base Vcore and maximum multiplier are different, but apart from that you're dealing with the same beast.
I'd suggest this OCN Ivy Bridge overclocking guide for ASRock motherboards -since it deals with precisely the same setup as yours ( no vendor specific UEFI layout/naming convention problems to translate). As for all overclocking endeavours, your achievable results are going to depend on the ASIC quality- and in the case of a CPU, board stability.

Ritwik7 said:

The same regarding the ASUS GTX 670 DCII (Non Top edition). Which software do you recommend for OCing the GPU?Click to expand...

Either Asus' bundled OC utility ( TweakIT, GPU Tweak), or MSI's Afterburner (the latter includes MSI's Kombuster -similar to Furmark - for test stability testing)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-the-i5-3570k-and-asus-gtx-670-dcii.184745/
Relevancy 33.11%

Hey,

a friend told me I should get a ssd in my pc, it will give it a great boost. But my pc is still pretty fast.
I also need to hook it up to the power supply, but in the future I'm planning to get a crossfire 6950 2Gb. So my question is: Is 700w enough for a crossfire 6950 2gb and for a samsung SSD 830 series 128Gb? And if the 700w power supply is enough to handle both is it worth it to get the samsung SSD 830 series 128Gb?
Help is appreciated.

Cheers,

My system specs are:
CPU: Intel Core I7 2600 4 x 3.4GHz
Motherboard: Gigabayte GA-PH67A-D3-B3
Graphics: ATI RADEON HD 6950 2GB GDDR5
Storage: 1TB S-ata2 7200RPM
Case :Cooler master CM 690 II Advanced
Power supply: Ocz 700w stealthxstream
Audio: Asus Xonar dx

A:SSD worth it for my PC?

An SSD will no doubt speed things up considerably. Do some research and make sure you pick the SSD with the technology that you can afford.

Toggle NAND SSDs are the fastest, followed by synchronous NAND SSDs. Asynchronous SSDs are the slowest of the bunch. Prices also follow the trend, with toggle NAND SSDs being the most expensive of the bunch.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ssd-worth-it-for-my-pc.184650/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hi all im looking at this build is it worth £400 its
i5-3570k / 8GB / 500HD / GTX 670 / DRW / 27 / W7 / A

A:Is this build worth the price

I'd like to see where you're getting that for £400 -- In short, if its for real, its a bargain. The GTX 670 starts at just shy of £300 alone. The i5 3570K is another £180. So yeah, it's a good price!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-this-build-worth-the-price.184564/
Relevancy 30.1%

I over-clocked a old celeron D 2.6GHz. after I over-clocked it the computer runs but wouldn't boot. tried clearing CMOS, disconnected the power from wall, PSU... nothing ever replaced RAM and CPU.

A:Overclocking Celeron D processor became dud, suggestions to the problem?

Just to make sure...killing the power to it for a few seconds won't clear the CMOS if there is a battery on the motherboard. If there's not a jumper to clear the CMOS then try unplugging it, taking the battery out for a few minutes then putting it all back together.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-celeron-d-processor-became-dud-suggestions-to-the-problem.183340/
Relevancy 31.82%

im in the market for a speaker system for my computer and I found the Creative A520 for a good price

link below:
http://www.dabs.ie/products/creative-a520---5-1-channel-pc-multimedia-home-theatre-speaker-system

im just wondering are they any good as in quality cos there is only one review on the site and any other speakers that are good and not to expensive

A:Are the Creative A520 speakers worth getting?

I would say they are average. briefly listened to the 2.1 version one sometime ago. but if you can get them very cheap, just go for it... with proper placement 5.1 is going to be huge upgrade compared to identical 2.1 in gaming and movies.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/are-the-creative-a520-speakers-worth-getting.184018/
Relevancy 30.96%

Right so I recently got xfx 6770 and I overclocked it and I done my homework looked at what clocks are stable and searched around a bit and basically I am having some heat issue related problems as when it's under full load in a game it will go up to 80 celsius and thats not it though it then starts freezing getting jumpy and screen tearing and it then ends up with a full lock up and ends up with a screen just with stripes you cant see anything and then forces me to restart. I tried everything and now I decided to turn to this page see if anyone has a solution and by the way I do have my fan at 100% but when on high overclocks it stresses the gpu and causes the same stuff only when on 100% fan cooling

specs:
i7 2.67ghz (920)
8gb ram corsair
xfx 6770
2 hard drives = 1.1tb
2 dvd-roms
atx g7 780w psu

A:Issues overclocking XFX HD 6770

80 degrees is nowhere near the thermal limit of the cards, they are rated for ~105 Celsius. I woulds make sure everything on the car is nice an screwed in, and screwed in solidly. Also what clocks are you getting the 6770 up to, every card is different some may not overclock at all. You could get GPU-Z and just send over the sensors tab, and check the asis quality of the card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/issues-overclocking-xfx-hd-6770.183639/
Relevancy 37.84%

Just installed a new EVGA card This is the card that has GTX Gpu s on it 460 EVGA GTX problems The problem is the PC starts up normally I get one beep and all things start loading fine and I can even hear the windows startup tune Unfortunately I EVGA GTX 460 problems get no video to the monitor I will then hold down the power button and power it down I hit the power EVGA GTX 460 problems button again get the quot Windows did not start up normally quot screen and THEN I am able to get it started and working correctly Now this morning I did all the things I previously did and got quot Startup Recovery quot This ran for a while and then windows came up normally Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated System Asus P Z deluxe mobo evga win gtx dual gpu gb vid mem OCZ Fatality series PSU w Intel Core i k cpu gb Corsair vengeance Ram tb Seagate HDD nbsp

A:EVGA GTX 460 problems

did you upgrade to the latest drivers? If all else fails try updating the BIOS.
if that fails, save yourself the hassle of troubleshooting and RMA the card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/evga-gtx-460-problems.183244/
Relevancy 38.27%

Hi,

I recently bought a new custom pc, but kept old 560 Ti in it.
So System what I have now:
850w PSU Corsair;
16gb Kingston Ram 1600Mhz;
3770k i7 Intel Cpu @ 4.7Ghz
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H;
Gigabyte 560 Ti Video card;

There is 2.2 Cm distance between Cards. I would get a 560 Ti in no time if I wouldnt be worried about the heat.

I want to buy a new video card or add another 560 Ti. But Selling my current 560 Ti would be hard here.
I could get a new 560 Ti for 300$ (Hate prices in Latvia(East Europe))
or Gigabyte's Gtx 680 2gb For 740$(Price here)
or Gigabyte's Gtx 670 2gb for 570$(Price Here)
I have a chance getting Evga's 680 FTW 4gb from US but its gonna be only on october 630$ (Price in the US)

Question is, What would you do if you were me?

EDIT: I am using old Monitor - 1440 x 900 Resoulution, Going to buy 1920 x 1080 Soon

A:What should I get? Another 560 Ti or EVGA's 680 FTW?

My opinion based on the fact that you aren't yet capable of gaming at 1080p resolutions is stick with your 560 till October and then get a much cheaper 670 from the US (instead of the FTW). For $630 you're inching pretty close to a pair of 670s @ $800. The rest of your machine would NOT be a bottleneck to a pair of 670s but I'd be willing to bet you would be happy with just 1 of them.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-should-i-get-another-560-ti-or-evgas-680-ftw.182920/
Relevancy 32.25%

hi all just bought pc tower but wanna find how much it is worth if possible its sparkling clean and more or less brand new probaly few months old its asus pc msi motherboard msi platinum editon win xp pro sp but gonna upgrade to win ultimate cpu dual core amd athlon x mhz mb name MSI K N SLI PLATINUM MS- RAM gig ddr sram kingston KTC G-UDIMM bios type AMI graphics-nvidia Geforce How if much this is worth possible) (rough estimate PC gts mb audio adapter - realtek alc s t nvidia nforce sli disk drive generic usb cf reader usb device x maxtor stm as gb rpm sata number same as above number - ST AS gb rpm sata number ST AS gb rpm sata partitions c d How much is this PC worth (rough estimate if possible) e f ntfs gb on all netword adapters -x How much is this PC worth (rough estimate if possible) nvidia nforce mbps ethernet firewire controller x via vt fire iim ieee host controller phy viavt infared port usb and controller nvidia nforc sli dmi total free memory slots system slots agp-pci memory devices dimm got this all from everest any other info needed please ask thanks for any help nbsp

A:How much is this PC worth (rough estimate if possible)

terry5880 said:

hi all just bought pc tower, but wanna find how much it is worth if possible ..its sparkling clean and more or less brand new probaly few months old.

bios type AMI 31/7/07Click to expand...

Before I can give an approx price tag on your system, one thing for me needs a little clarification, maybe this to will help others slap a price tag on your system.

But I'm a little leery with the use of some words here, "just bought" and "brand new' and "few months old"! But with the BIOS having a version date of July-31-2007, how new can this computer be?

I'll just sit back a while and see if this can be clearly explained by either you and or someone else out there who might have an answer. After that I may slap a price tag on what I feel this system is worth. But do take one thing into consideration when standing by and awaiting peoples approx value of your system. Just like buying a new car, once it's front two tires hit a city street the dealership automatically devalues the car by 1/4 right from the get go, I should know I worked for Chevrolet as a car salesman for 3 years. So as like with cars so true with computers, they can depreciate their value very quickly. Even just by burning some hours on a computer, it can therefor go towards people not looking as the system as brand new anymore, but rather they might now think depreciated value.

Just something to think about!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-much-is-this-pc-worth-rough-estimate-if-possible.182684/
Relevancy 31.39%

never knew that you could overclock the geforce 6200 so I just downloaded the precisionx and put the gpu clock to 400 and it increased the game by 2 fps while I put it on max clock the screen started tearing I guess it cant handle the max clock + werent low profile gfx cards and this old gfx card unclockable?

A:Overclocking madness

Any chip can be overclocked with the right software, the question is how much before it becomes unstable or burns up. Every chip has it's own physical limit but the real limiting factor is cooling; my old 6200 ran so hot under load I never tried overclocking it. Not worth messing with for the miniscule gains. You need a new video card because the 6200 won't run any newer games at all. Since you obviously are using an older motherboard with AGP graphics slot ( or is it PCI?), the choices are very limited. I had the same problem 2 years ago, and I bought the best AGP card available, an HIS IceQ Radeon HD 4670 for $120, and it worked pretty good. It was still available at NewEgg but now it's out of stock and none of the available AGP or PCI cards are any better than the 6200.
Time for a new computer!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-madness.181744/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hi

I'm quite new to overclocking and been trying out som overclocking settings back and forth, also tried unlocking the 2 extra cores - but for gaming it's not too necessary afaik, now I only got the multiplier increased and disabled Turbo Core, my goal is not to push it to breaking point, been running at 4 GHz, right now 3.6 GHz. Use aftermarket cooler, nothing fancy, Hyper TX3 and two 2000RPM 120mm fans, one at front and one at back. 4 GHz rased the CPU temp to about 52-55 when playing Battlefield 3. My question is; Do I make a big mistake increasing only the multiplier and leaving the other settings on Auto?

A:Phenom II X4 960T multiplier overclocking

It's fine to just leave everything at auto if you change the multiplier then again if/when you change the BUS speed you will also have to change the mem.speed (lower it a bit) because when you increase the BUS speed then the mem.speed also goes up = bluescreen / no boot. So use the BUS to finalize the overclock and the Multiplier (and vCore voltage) to do the main overclock with even tho you will need a better cooler for that.

Also a good thing to do is to make a "baseline" and note all default values (vCore, mem.voltage, bus, multiplier, mem.speed), to do that you can use (for ex.) CPU-Z...when that is done change everything manually so that all the values are the same as when they are on auto...then you can go and overclock from there.

Don't forget to have good airflow in and out from your case when you overclock! Here is a small "guide" that you could maybe find something interesting in.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/phenom-ii-x4-960t-multiplier-overclocking.181948/
Relevancy 31.82%

Hi, I'm new here, just wanted opinions on buying parts to buy my own PC and if it would hold up for a couple of years for gaming?

Cpu: AMD FX-6200 3.80GHz 6-core
Memory: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 AMD 970
GPU: AMD RADEON HD 6570 1GB PCIe

I've not included the power supply and hard drive etc. because they didn't seem relevant much.
All suggestions are welcome but I'm limited by a budget of £400.

A:Is this computer spec worth buying?

That's not a great gaming setup, games are mostly dependant on the GPU and the 6570 will likely only play games on low details.

Is the budget just for those 4 components or does it include everything (PSU, hard drive, case, etc.)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-this-computer-spec-worth-buying.181999/
Relevancy 30.96%

While I am aware that everyone is on the bash Bulldozer bandwagon (understandable) thought I go ahead and share some results from the AIDA64 Extreme Edition benchmark section. After becoming more familiar with the hardware and after considerable tweaking I?ve managed to achieve a stable 4.8GHz overclock. Ultimately, this required a CPU multi and BCLK combination overclock as I was never able to stabilize using just the CPU multiplier.

Although Bulldozer clearly failed to live up to the pre-launch hype I would have to say that for the money ($219) the FX-8120P delivers a pretty good punch. If you do a lot of multi-media or other multi-threaded applications this processor is worthy of consideration. If hard core gaming is your primary interest then Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge or SB-E are the better alternatives.

Anyway, here are the results produced using Version 1.85.1600 of the AIDA64 Extreme Edition package.

CpuZ Validation
CpuZ Screenshot

Memory Read

Memory Write

Memory Copy

A:AMD FX-8120P overclocking results

Memory Latency

CPU Queen

CPU PhotoWorxx

CPU ZLib

CPU AES

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-fx-8120p-overclocking-results.173211/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hello there!
Okay, so now I have enough saving for an upgrade, and would love to upgrade to a PCI-E x16 GFX card.

I have a budget of around $50. The possible candidates are a Radeon HD 5550, a Radeon HD 4550, and a Radeon HD 4350. Low-end, but light-years ahead of my current Nvidia GeForce 7025.

Rig specs:
ASRock N68-S
1x PCI-E 2.0 x16 slot
550W PSU,
AMD Sempron 140 2.7 GHz
2GB DDR2 RAM
Monitor's an Acer P195HQ, VGA Interface

So, to make it short, should I go for a cheaper DX10 GFX card, or a somewhat more expensive DX11 card?

A:Is investing in a DirectX11 graphics card really worth it?

first things first... do you use your PC for gaming?

you're not going to find anything too great in that price range that's for sure... but unless you're wanting to play some DX11 capable games then I would buy something more powerful, but perhaps last generation. i will warn you though those low end cards are pretty lackluster. you are way better off putting aside a little money and going for something mid-range. you will be much happier with a card that has some power.

so bottom line is if you like to play games on your machine then you want at least a mid-range graphics card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-investing-in-a-directx11-graphics-card-really-worth-it.179395/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hi all,

I have some questions about overclocking the i5, specifically a 2500k.

Firstly, i don't want to get a massive overclock, I'd like to keep my PC as quiet as possible.
Is there any point in adding just a few hundred mhz as it'll turbo upto 3.7 ghz anyway?

Will any overclock to the base frequency also add a corresponding increase to the turbo?

Is there any way to only increase the turbo limit but leave the base frquency at 3.3ghz?

A:Lightly OCing an i5. Is it worth it?

Most overclockers will just turn the turbo off, 3.7Ghz isn't much considering the 2500k can get to 4.5Ghz pretty easily.

If you are thinking of moderate OCing (or even if you're not OCing) then get a cheap aftermarket cooler, it will be quieter than the stock Intel cooler which is useless.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lightly-ocing-an-i5-is-it-worth-it.179477/
Relevancy 32.25%

Hi, i am currently looking at buying a new PC. I want something that will last and was just wondering your thoughts and opinions on this build, is it relatively safe in terms of not needed to be upgraded anytime soon and is it worth the money... thanks for your time.

Intel core i5 2400 quad core 3.1ghz
asus p8z68-v lx
8gb Ram ddr3 1600mhz
2Gb AMD Radeon HD7850
500gb sata III 6gbHDD 7200rpm 16mb cache
corsair 650w power supply
Triple copper heat pipe Intel CPU cooler
Asus xonar dg5.1 sound card
24x dvd writer
windows 7 inc.
Fancy case with all the fans, lights, bells and whistles required

I also get 7 years breakdown insurance as standard
all for £820 (Equivalent $1312)

A:Buying a new PC.. Is this worth the money?

You could get a better spec if you built it yourself but if you're not into that then yeah, that looks to be a decent build for the price.

If your budget allows it try to incorporate an SSD, it's worth the money IMO.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/buying-a-new-pc-is-this-worth-the-money.179398/
Relevancy 30.96%

First, I'm not a gamer and know virtually nothing about overclocking other than the very basics.

However, for some time now when I start the computer, about 50% of the time it refuses to open Windows and I have to force quit. When I then start it again, I get a message that overclocking failed and I have to either enter Setup or use F2 to use the default settings.

But I never have attempted to overclock.

It's about a 4 or 5 year old self-built unit with an Asus P4c800-E Deluxe motherboard and a Northwoods 2.8 processor & 3g of RAM. Nothing at all exotic.

Is there something I could do to stop this time consuming and annoying restart situation?

Appreciate any help from you "overclockers"!

A:Simple overclocking question

Have you ever changed your internal battery?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/simple-overclocking-question.178122/
Relevancy 31.82%

I am thinking about buying this GB Kingston SSD to be used as cache for a WD Caviar Blue mech drive I can get the drive new for but I have never used a SSD as cache only as a boot The only reason is for cache... worth 64GB it SSD it? Cheap I would be buying this would be the price tag so I m limited to this drive only I know it supports TRIM but I m not so sure about Cheap 64GB SSD for cache... is it worth it? which controller it uses I know there are good and bad reviews on this but since I m not using it as a boot drive I m not to worried about it So my questions are A Do I need to reinstall Win to maximize this drives performance Cheap 64GB SSD for cache... is it worth it? as cache or would it be plug n play B Will I see a bump in performance C Is this even worth price performance D Would using this as cache speed up the read write speeds on a mech drive that is full compared to a mech drive that is full nbsp

A:Cheap 64GB SSD for cache... is it worth it?

Yes, as long as it is not out of production.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cheap-64gb-ssd-for-cache-is-it-worth-it.178280/
Relevancy 29.67%

I am not a for overclocking build selection system Seeking X79 & memory gamer I Seeking overclocking & memory selection for X79 system build play games occasionally but don t build systems for gaming I am a commercial photographer architectural product industrial I shoot high mega pixel files build and save multiple copies layered Photoshop files very large scans and video footage I need a lot of storage space processing speed transfer speed and memory My previous builds have been dual Xeon systems and x Win OS since Win Previous systems have included dual Ghz dual Ghz dual Mhz amp dual Mhz using Asus amp Supermicro boards Besides my workstations I ve built a half dozen other systems The last systems have included drive RAID arrays in RAID config for working video files I haven t built a system in about years My goal is to build a system suitable for my photo video needs that provides modest stable overclocking - targeting Ghz I am also interested in combining a pair of Seagate Hybrid drives Momentus XT in RAID as the OS drive for a balance of space and performance rather than going to SSD I ve never played with Overclocking nor water cooled systems As I start this build I am tight on funds and propose to bake in a planned future upgrade to allow the cost of those components to go down and still see an immediate jump in speed over my current system I expect this new build to be X as fast as my current system minute render in minutes The future upgrade will further potentially double the speed - min Build purchased so far gt Corsair Carbide R case - selected for large side fan USB eSATA amp Firewire ports on front face gt ASRock X Extreme MoBo selected for GB support USB SATA III RAID also for fairly simple Overclocking capability gt MasterCooler Gold w PSU gt Corsair H Hydro CPU Cooler kit extra fans for push pull airflow selected for high efficiency simple liquid cooling also considering Maingear Epic T thermal compound top end but expensive gt LG Blu-ray burner I burn a lot of Blu-rays as part of my Backup Archive strategy hundreds per year gt Front mounted Card reader with additional USB gt EVGA Nvidia GTX Superclocked GPU bought used for selected as a cost saving option that still provides ample CUDA cores for video rendering to be purchased over next - weeks gt Intel i CPU Overclocked to a modest but stable GHz gt GB GBx Mushkin Quad Chan CAS RAM - - - gt Dual Seagate Momentus XT GB Hybrid Drives in RAID for OS I replaced a laptop drive with the GB version and was impressed plus it offers much more space than a midsized single SSD or dual smaller SSDs gt RAID TB Barracuda GB s rpm drive for Data Drive frankly I like the Hitachis better but the Seagates are somewhat cheaper I will probably get these last hoping the cost drops further and production increases gt Windows Developers OS beta free for evaluation amp testing driver issues gt Adobe CS amp CS Suites I also plan to continue using the TB Lacie Big eSata drive I now have as well as a small collection of RAID NAS drives My current workstation will also stay on my desk along with my newer Thnkpad i - QM GB RAM dual GB RAID Future upgrade - gt Intel i X gt GB RAM x GB gt Nvidia GTX gt possible SSD OS drive s Issues amp Questions I have are related to the speed and latency of memory for this system and issues related to overclocking Any suggestions recommendations Much appreciated nbsp

A:Seeking overclocking & memory selection for X79 system build

Not sure how "used" it is but that evga gtx460 1GB SC is $129.99 new.
http://www.amazon.com/EVGA-SuperClo...3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1330282267&sr=1-3

I recommend you stay away from Seagate for there horrible failure rate. Western Digital Caviar Black or Blue is the way to go.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seeking-overclocking-memory-selection-for-x79-system-build.178016/
Relevancy 32.68%

It's 8 months old now, and it's a custom build.

AMD Phenom x6 6 core CPU @ 3.3Ghz (I can possibly OC this to 3.6GHz safely)
8GB Corsair Vengeance Ram @ 1600MHz
Biostar 890FXE Motherboard
Windows 7 Ultimate
Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
600W Corsair CX Series PSU
Corsair H70 Water Cooling system
48x Sony DVD RW
500GB Seagate HDD 7200RPM
Cooler master Elite 430 case with 3x Arctic Cooling 120mm fans

This system also has a fan speed adjuster in the 3.5" bay at the front of the computer.

A:Wondering how much my PC is worth now?

Prices haven't come down that much in 8 months have they?

IMO, thats still a very good build.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wondering-how-much-my-pc-is-worth-now.177472/
Relevancy 37.41%

This is my first time posting on any forum so please excuse me if I miss some things out I recently got a second hand EVGA GTX gb OC from an online auction site I have a Dell XPS which 460 signal! GTX EVGA no Secondhand -- had a w psu in it I installed the card and attached both pin power cables and I got a single beep no signal and my computer wouldn t boot into the operating system I figured this might Secondhand EVGA GTX 460 -- no signal! be due to my power supply being under the recommended wattage so I bought a Zippy w psu and I m still having the same Secondhand EVGA GTX 460 -- no signal! problem My old card still works fine so no problem with the motherboard I ve tried uninstalling the old gpu drivers and still nothing The error code that my computers lights display translates to quot Other failure quot which Secondhand EVGA GTX 460 -- no signal! according to dell means there is most likely a hardware failure Is this a common problem and is there a solution or am I now the proud owner of a paperweight Thanks in advance Nesh nbsp

A:Secondhand EVGA GTX 460 -- no signal!

Maybe Dell don't allow you to change the graphics card? Maybe you can try the card in a friend's PC.

Btw $230 is very expensive for that card, about twice the market value.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/secondhand-evga-gtx-460-no-signal.176297/
Relevancy 30.96%

I am thinking about overclocking my CPU to minimize a possible bottleneck when i put in my new crossfire ASUS Radeon 6970 DirectCU II 2GB cards, should i be putting it up to 4GHZ?

Oh and if you don't know already the standard clock of the 950 is 3.06GHz, i also have a CoolerMaster V10 to cool the CPU so heat shouldn't be a problem

A:Overclocking Core i7-950 processor

DKRON said:

...should i be putting it up to 4GHZ?Click to expand...

That kind of depends on the chip. Always best to OC incrementally. Some chips don't overclock well, some do, and some will but might need a bucketload of voltage tossed into the CPU and chipset. The first couple of 950's I tried OC'ed moderately well, but required close to 1.4v to get them there. The chip I now use won't OC as high (~3.8-3.9) but does so at good voltage (~1.18-1.2v)

DKRON said:

Oh and if you don't know already the standard clock of the 950 is 3.06GHz, i also have a CoolerMaster V10 to cool the CPU so heat shouldn't be a problemClick to expand...

The V10 is a good air cooler. The TEC doesn't work overly effectively until the heat production starts ramping up. Overall it's going to be no more effective than a top-tier air cooler (i.e. Noctua NH-D14, Thermalright Archon) or closed loop all-in-one watercooler (i.e. Corsair H80/H100, Antec Kuhler 920) so keep an eye on the temps during stability/stress testing.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-core-i7-950-processor.176255/
Relevancy 30.53%

I currently have a Lenovo laptop and have had it for 2 and a half years. The battery has always been pretty bad and last about 3 minutes unplugged. The hard drive is a temperamental one from an old laptop as the original broke for no apparent reason, probably didn't help I was constantly having to rebuild it too. I know it is stupid but when I got this laptop I was young and naive and didn't realise how essential recovery disks are.
I realise to replace all of these would be quite expensive so am wondering whether it is worth just buying a new laptop?

A:Worth replacing the hard drive, battery and buying recovery disks?

We need more information to comment.
There are at least 7 levels of Lenovo laptop... Is this a T-series... or just what is it? model and type.
In general, Lenovo laptops are among the most reliable...
This is not a good time to buy hard drives, due to the market over-adjusting to the hard drive factories under water in Thailand.
Batteries, good ones, can be found for $35 to $45
But you can get a 90 GB SATA hard drive for $90 or less.
Tell us the hard drive brand and size, the amount of memory installed.
All in all, we can rebuild a decent Lenovo for $140... and that is a lot less expensive than a new laptop. But a shop would have to charge you $205 or more.
A cheap laptop might cost you $500 to $600, but a good laptop could cost you $1200 to $1800. For long term reliability, I would want to invest at least $1000 to $1500

Tell us more so we can best advise you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/worth-replacing-the-hard-drive-battery-and-buying-recovery-disks.176085/
Relevancy 31.39%

I used Kingston HyperX blu 4GB memory (4x = 16GB total) for my desktop upgrade 6 months ago.

I am curious if there is superior RAM out there. I don't refer to a 0-5% improvement. Is there significantly better RAM available for my setup? (lets say 15%+ faster than what I use)

I am constantly in Adobe After Effects eating up all of my memory. I also multi-task frequently switching between memory intense programs. I will squeeze every bit of performance out of faster memory.

Here is my configuration:

i7 2600K @ 4.4Ghz
ASRock extreme4 Motherboard
16GB RAM (4x 4GB HyperX blu DDR3 1333MHz)
2x Gigabyte 560ti SLI
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
Windows 7 64bit

When I upgraded I was advised to go with 1333MHz. Is there significant performance to be had beyond this? It is an inexpensive area to upgrade so I am very curious.

A:Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1333MHz -- worth upgrading?

Not at all worth upgrading IMO.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/kingston-hyperx-blu-ddr3-1333mhz-worth-upgrading.175525/
Relevancy 33.11%

Would it be worth it? to buy a new 22" monitor instead of my 19",
i use my 19" monitor only for gaming purpose ,because i have a 32" HD LCD and i use it for
watching films.

A:Would it be worth it?

What resolution are you currently gaming at? Do you plan on going to a higher resolution? Can your video card handle the proposed upgrade? If you need to upgrade your video card will you need a new power supply?

Think those are the basic questions. Whether or not it's worth it is really a rather subjective question. Think I would save for a while and go with something in the 24" range. Do you have the option of connecting to your 32" LCD TV?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/would-it-be-worth-it.173983/
Relevancy 30.53%

hello,
guys i am an absolute newbie in overclocking.who just know what overclocking do.i have a very antique pc running p4 2.4 Ghz and since i donot afford to buy a new one till i pass out my college i would like to overclock it.And for that i need your help.please just guide me through the whole process.i am proving log generated by CPU-z below.
i ll be thankful for any kind of help.

A:Help in overclocking Intel P4 2.4GHz Prescott

CPU-Z TXT Report
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binaries

CPU-Z version 1.58

Processors

Number of processors 1
Number of threads 1

APICs

Processor 0
-- Core 0
-- Thread 0 0

Processors Information

Processor 1 ID = 0
Number of cores 1 (max 1)
Number of threads 1 (max 1)
Name Intel Pentium 4
Codename Prescott
Specification Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 478 mPGA (0x2)
CPUID F.3.3
Extended CPUID F.3
Core Stepping C0
Technology 90 nm
Core Speed 2400.2 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 18.0 x 133.3 MHz
Rated Bus speed 533.4 MHz
Stock frequency 2400 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
L1 Data cache 16 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
Trace cache 12 Kuops, 8-way set associative
L2 cache 1024 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control no

Thread dumps

CPU Thread 0
APIC ID 0
Topology Processor ID 0, Core ID 0, Thread ID 0
Type 01001001h
Max CPUID level 00000005h
Max CPUID ext. level 80000008h
Cache descriptor Level 1, D, 16 KB, 1 thread(s)
Cache descriptor Level 2, U, 1 MB, 1 thread(s)
Cache descriptor Level 1, T, 12 KB, 1 thread(s)

CPUID
0x00000000 0x00000005 0x756E6547 0x6C65746E 0x49656E69
0x00000001 0x00000F33 0x00010800 0x0000041D 0xBFEBFBFF
0x00000002 0x605B5101 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x007C7040
0x00000003 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
0x00000004 0x00000121 0x01C0003F 0x0000001F 0x00000000
0x00000004 0x00000143 0x01C0103F 0x000003FF 0x00000000
0x00000005 0x00000040 0x00000040 0x00000000 0x00000000
0x80000000 0x80000008 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
0x80000001 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
0x80000002 0x20202020 0x20202020 0x20202020 0x6E492020
0x80000003 0x286C6574 0x50202952 0x69746E65 0x52286D75
0x80000004 0x20342029 0x20555043 0x30342E32 0x007A4847
0x80000005 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
0x80000006 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x04008040 0x00000000
0x80000007 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000
0x80000008 0x00002028 0x00000000 0x00000000 0x00000000

MSR 0x0000001B 0x00000000 0xFEE00900
MSR 0x00000017 0x000A0000 0x00000000
MSR 0x0000002C 0x00000000 0x12110412
MSR 0x000001A0 0x00000000 0x00040089

Chipset

Northbridge Intel i845G rev. A1
Southbridge Intel 82801DB (ICH4) rev. 01
Memory Type DDR
Memory Size 512 MBytes
Memory Frequency 166.7 MHz (4:5)
CAS# latency (CL) 2.5
RAS# to CAS# delay (tRCD) 3
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 3
Cycle Time (tRAS) 7
DRAM Idle Timer 16

Memory SPD

DIMM # 1
SMBus address 0x50
Memory type DDR
Manufacturer (ID) Samsung (CE00000000000000)
Size 512 MBytes
Max bandwidth PC3200 (200 MHz)
Part number M3 68L6423HUN-CCC
Serial number 0615CB43
Manufacturing date Week 09/Year 07
Number of banks 2
Data width 64 bits
Correction None
Registered no
Buffered no
Nominal Voltage 2.50 Volts
EPP no
XMP no
JEDEC timings table CL-tRCD-tRP-tRAS-tRC @ frequency
JEDEC #1 2.5-3-3-7-n.a. @ 166 MHz
JEDEC #2 3.0-3-3-8-n.a. @ 200 MHz

DIMM # 1
SPD registers
00 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 0A 0B 0C 0D 0E 0F
00 80 08 07 0D 0A 02 40 00 04 50 65 00 82 08 00 01
10 0E 04 18 01 02 20 C0 60 70 00 00 3C 28 3C 28 40
20 60 60 40 40 00 00 00 00 00 37 46 28 28 50 00 00
30 00 00 00 0... Read more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-in-overclocking-intel-p4-2-4ghz-prescott.173513/
Relevancy 31.39%

hi every1 as the title says i need some help overclocking my athlon 2x 240 cuz on most games they just use 100% of the cpu and it heats like crap on 100% usage lasting barely 3-4 hrs on stock cooling, im kinda green on clocking but i got basic knowledge of hardware and stuff here is my pc
amd athlon x2 240 2.8GHz
Mobo gigabyte M61PME-S2P with nvidia chipset
3GB of ram DDR2 800
Video card ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series
Im not sure i should do it from bios or with 3rd party software i found lots of stuff out there but still confused and scared to set my pc on fire lol ! so please whoever has experience in these stuff guide me through.
thank you very much,,

i know my pc is ancient more reason to overclock it

A:Help overclocking Athlon x2 240

Night Fire said:

and it heats like crap on 100% usage lasting barely 3-4 hrs on stock cooling,
amd athlon x2 240 2.8GHzClick to expand...

if you don't have a heat problems on stock clock (2.8GHz),then you can try overclocking it to 3.2Ghz through the bios by increasing the front side bus (FSB)(HT LINK).from 200 to 230 MHz , or to 3.4GHz by increasing the HT Link to 245MHz.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-overclocking-athlon-x2-240.173551/
Relevancy 30.1%

I am really new to overclocking, and my first attempt my have fried my system. I went to the Bios and set my system to overclock to... I don't remember the speed, but when I hit save and exit the system never booted the OS it just blanked the screen. I let it sit for a while and nothing happened. I reset it in hopes to get back to the BIOS but after turning it on the BIOS wont even boot. The screen never turns on but the comp sounds like its running fine. Anyone know what the issue is? Or know how to do a hard reset to clear the changes I made to the BIOS?

A:Problems overclocking, system won't boot BIOS

Remove the CMOS battery from the motherboard for a few minutes, reinstall it and start the PC. That should return the BIOS to default settings. Keep in mind that if you have SATA drives and the BIOS was set to SATA, AHCI or RAID, be sure to reset it to that or you could have trouble starting Windows.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problems-overclocking-system-wont-boot-bios.173410/
Relevancy 63.64%

hey people,

I want to buy a new PC, but I'm not sure what processor I should take. My first option was a i7 2600, but now I'm thinking of a 2600k. But is overclocking worth it? Or should I just stick to a 2600? And if I take the 2600k and start overclocking, are there any risks I should be aware of?

Best regards,

Broeci

A:Is overclocking worth it?

The fact that you are asking if "overclocking is worth it" probably answers your question.

Whether or not you OC is probably dependant upon what workload you undertake, how much you like tinkering, and if you are working under some very tight time constraints - the latter is more applicable to content creation and media applications.

Personally, from the price difference of the two models, I would go with the 2600K. Pricing difference is minimal, and resale -if you plan to upgrade in the future- will be higher. So even if you do not plan on overclocking, the 2600K makes a degree of economic sense.

For most users I would think that Sandy Bridge's turbo option (think of it as automatic overclocking) will suffice. If, however, you want a little free performance- virtually every 2600K will attain a higher 24/7 frequency for little or no extra power draw/heat output- or you want to explore the CPUs performance parameters then light or moderate overclocking will cause no harm so long as you observe some basic procedure. Even motherboard based overclocking ( hardware and/or software) will offer a substantial performance boost (application dependant) with stability and a minimum of user input.

An overview of what Sandy Bridge overlocking can achieve >>here<< and >>here<<

Be aware that overclocking the CPU impacts the RAM (memory) speed as the two are linked via memory dividers ( CPU: RAM ratio's). For overclocking purposes -even the one-click (software) or one-button (hardware) variety- you would need to have DDR3-1600 modules at the least (with DDR3-1866 for high overclocks which I would not recommend if using the boxed Intel cooler).

If it sounds as though I'm fence-sitting, that's because I am. I have overclocked virtually every component I've ever owned that was capable of being overclocked...but then, I really like exploring the capabilities of a system I put together - both from a performance aspect, and judging long term stability.
I presently run two systems, an older Core 2 Quad and a X58 based system. The former runs at either a stock (undervolted) or with a mild overclock (25%) using only stock voltage. The X58 runs at either stock* (again, undervolted), mild OC¹, medium OC² or heavy OC³. Virtually every motherboard these days allows for multiple BIOS/UEFI profiles to be saved as used as appropriate- so you can run the profile that best fits the application(s) you plan on using. Using these different profiles over the same applications then gives you an accurate "hands on" guide to any worthwhile gains you may experience- as opposed to online reviews which may use benchmarks (especially synthetic test suites) which may be of only academic interest.

* Stock for average mixed workload- browsing, email, media viewing
¹ Mild OC - Benchmarking for scaling performance in new applications or major revisions to current applications
² and ³ Med./Heavy OC for intensive applications ( media encoding, achiving (compression), gaming etc.)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-overclocking-worth-it.172938/
Relevancy 36.98%

I wonder if EVGA had the official 'okey-dokey' before pushing out this little gem. It handily bests the GTX 580 while sporting 2GB 's of memory.(only 1GB per GPU however). In many situations it will give the GTX 590 a run for its money...actually for about $200.00 less. At the same price as the average GTX 580, this card would seem to be ready to cannibalize sales of both the GTX 580, and 590 if it is made widely available. It's seemingly an odd move, but a tremendous card according to the folks over at PC Perspective

From PC Perspective:

the review can be had here at PC Perspective
:http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-560-Ti-2Win-2GB-Dual-GPU-Graphics-Card-Review

A:EVGA GTX 560 Ti 2 Win 2GB dual-GPU graphics card

The card more than likely has Nvidia's stamp of approval since at the price point it equals enthusiast territory, and like the dual GTX 460 EVGA launched earlier, I think the card is neutered on being SLI'ed with another of it's kind ( strike one). Nice niche card but...
At $500+ it's also going up against EVGA's own GTX 560Ti DS (with similar cooling) that's clocked faster and would certainly have more OC headroom at the same price point (SLI) (strike two)
Like the dual-GTX460 (and the PowerColor dual HD 6870) I wouldn't think the card would see widespread release. It checks the same boxes as the conventional two card setup ( good price/ perf. relatively cool'n'quiet ..but is still saddled with the 1GB frame buffer and 256-bit bus that makes it less than suitable for Surround/ 3D/ 3D Surround (strike three).

I'm actually surprised that EVGA haven't launched a dual version of their GTX 580 Classified 3GB (just for PR's sake at least) and Nvidia probably would frown upon a GTX 570-2Win, but I'm also guessing that the PCB, extra memory and VRM's would make it prohibitively expensive in any case...so given that those two options are off the table, then a dual GTX 560Ti becomes the de facto choice I suppose.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/evga-gtx-560-ti-2-win-2gb-dual-gpu-graphics-card.172997/
Relevancy 30.96%

I'm new to the world of pc gaming, but I needed a good system to run fsx on without breaking the bank. at the moment, I run fsx on this system:
AMD Phenom II X6 1045t 2.7ghz
ATI Radeon HD 5770 1gb GDDR5
8gb ram
1tb hard drive
Windows 7 home premium
(resolution: 1360x768)

i get around 25-50fps depending on the weather and the aircraft, and the settings aren't all maxed out.
is there any point in overclocking? or could someone suggest optimum settings which give smooth flight and the best graphics possible? thanks

A:Is overclocking going to make much difference to my fps on FSX?

You very well may gain a few FPS by OC'ing. FSX is one of those odd games that is extremely CPU dependent (don't ask me why) :rolleyes: FSX is usually fairly fluid @ 25 FPS, so if you OC your PII x6 up to 3.7Ghz , you may be able to get the next level of settings.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/is-overclocking-going-to-make-much-difference-to-my-fps-on-fsx.172854/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hi would be grate if anyone can help, looking for a software that overclocks the cpu, if their is any. Looking for something like rivatuner. Just want to add that i know i can change it in the bios just want to know if their is a windows prog like rivatuner.

Regards.

A:Overclocking software

Hi foxalot and welcome to Techspot If you happen to be on an AMD platform there is always AMD Overdrive. Motherboard manufacturers also offer assorted OC tools that would be specific to your hardware.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-software.171804/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hello I am a newbie overclocker . So recently I have been trying to get my Intel 2 Duo e8200 (originally 2.6 ghz) to 3.7 ghz. As of now I have been able to get it up to 3.4 ghz without having to increase my ram voltage. So in my bios I am given the option to increase my DDr2 reference voltage my increments of 10mhz. I am wondering what the safe ranges are for ram voltage. Can anybody give me a good idea of what I should do next. And yes I have already run stress test on my cpu.

A:Overclocking Intel Core 2 Duo E8200

i had Intel 2 Duo e8200 and i know a lot about this cpu so i personally don't recommend to overclock your cpu more than 3.4 Ghz to avoid heat and unstable or failure system and that's could damage your cpu , ram or mainboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-intel-core-2-duo-e8200.171758/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hello Techspot,

I would just like to know your opinions on waiting for the Radeon HD 7000 series. It is more discussion like then a personal question.

I would like to know if you will wait for the HD 7000 series, and why.

A:AMD Radeon HD 7000 series -- is it worth waiting?

No, the 6870 should do me if I decide to upgrade my 4870.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-radeon-hd-7000-series-is-it-worth-waiting.170385/
Relevancy 31.39%

hey guys
just finished assemblin my first rig, n i m aimin at overclockin it to 4-4.1Ghz
n since i m new to overclocking, i will need some help doing it without ruinin it
thx in advance
rig-
phenom II 1100T
M4A88TD-V EVO
CM V6GT
Transcend 1x4GB DDR3 1333

A:Help overclocking my new rig

if you have a good cooling you can easily overclocking it to 4 GHz by increasing core voltage to 1.5 volt and set the cpu multiplier to 20.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-overclocking-my-new-rig.170788/
Relevancy 31.39%

Temp very high

CPU
Intel Pentium 4
531 sl8hz malay
3.00GHZ/1M/800/04A

mobo
Asus Ai Proactive
P5GD1-HVM/S
Intel 915 P chipset
Just started up the above cpu and mobo it seems to be heating up very high???any ideas how to check what is wrong?i defo put enough thermal compound on to!

A:Mobo and CPU overclocking?

Too much thermal compound acts like an insulator, so take the CPU/Fan apart and clean off the old thermal paste. Re-apply a small pea sized amount of paste in the center and use the edge of a plastic credit card and wipe it across the CPU die (metal top of the CPU) to make a thin uniform coating of thermal compound without any over-spill onto the rest of the CPU

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mobo-and-cpu-overclocking.167764/
Relevancy 32.68%

What is my computer worth? What is its value?

I am newbie into gaming world as i have very limited knowledge about the hardware's i would like to have your suggestions because i want to sell this computer.I am using this computer since January/2011. It is blazing fast. It will run any and all programs with ease. Adobe Photoshop, the latest games on max settings like sc 2, crysis 2. world of warcraft.

Here is spec.

CPU Dell precision 670
4GB ECC DDR2 RAM
EVGA GTX 460 Super clock 1 GB Card - GDDR5 256 Bits

DaTA storage

150GB SCSI Drive
40GB SATA Drive
150GB SATA Drive

Is my computer is equal to i5 or less than i3?

Please advice me.

A:What is my computer worth?

Where did you get a server if your a newbie lol? its running old motherboard and memory so that will bring down the price but you could get aleast $500-$600 american if you sold it because of it being a fully ready server i would try find a business looking for a server and sell it to them

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-is-my-computer-worth.170026/
Relevancy 32.25%

My cheap old LiteOn keyboard is starting to wear out so I want to replace it with something a bit nicer. Unfortunately there aren't any shops near by that have anything to try out. I don't need to see the keys when I type so it doesn't have to be backlit. I'm not entirely sure about mechanical keyboards, are they very loud? Are any in this price range really nicer than equivalently priced dome switch keyboards?

Here are some of the keyboards I have been considering.

A:Are any gaming keyboards under $75 worth it?

Are any gaming keyboards over $15 worth it? No (IMO).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/are-any-gaming-keyboards-under-75-worth-it.168983/
Relevancy 30.53%

Okay so I have a dell xps 420, don't really want to replace much besides my gfx card, bump up from 4gbs to 8gbs of ram and obviously up my psu wattage to handle to upgrades. I don't want to replace my quad core q6600 cpu yet but I do want to overclock to about 3.0ghz. Obviously you can't overclock the cpu, or any part for that matter, in dells without physically altering the chip because of the bios limitations. My question is, when I transfer these parts into a new case with a new mobo, will I then be able to overclock the cpu?

A:Overclocking Dell parts in new case?

Putting the computer in a new case will not make a difference, but changing the motherboard will let you overclock. Before you do any overclocking, make sure you have a decent CPU cooler. The stock one probably will not be able to handle much of an overclock.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclocking-dell-parts-in-new-case.169080/
Relevancy 30.53%

Hello I am would like to know how much I could OC the AMD Phenom II x T Black Ed with the stock cooler Could I reach up to GHz Would it be stable I am not really confident in OCing with the stock cooler I would like to know what would be a good CPU cooler for the AMD overclocking II 1100T + cooling x6 AMD Phenom Phenom II AMD Phenom II x6 1100T overclocking + cooling x T BE I would like to reach AMD Phenom II x6 1100T overclocking + cooling at least GHz with the aftermarket cooler Would the Cooler Master Hyper be good enough If not could you give me some suggestions I am not looking for anything expensive up to about Euros maybe less Here is the rig I will be using AMD Phenom II x6 1100T overclocking + cooling CPU AMD Phenom II x T Black Edition Motherboard GIGABYTE FXA UD Ram x GB Dual Channel DDRIII GPU GeForce GT - I will upgrade in the future hopefully PSU Corsair TX HDD TB CPU Cooler CoolerMaster Hyper - maybe something else depending on how good this cooler is Target CPU speed at least GHz Thanks in advance nbsp

A:AMD Phenom II x6 1100T overclocking + cooling

While a 4GHz overclock for the Phenom 1100T is fairly typical and taking into account that the CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ is a pretty good cooler for the price; you may be able to achieve a stable 4GHz overclock. That will depend primarily the amount of voltage needed and the corresponding issue of heat, as the saying goes "Your mileage may vary".

Keep in mind that you have the option of adding a second fan in a push-pull configuration for better cooling with your current 212+.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-phenom-ii-x6-1100t-overclocking-cooling.167953/
Relevancy 31.82%

Hello,
I would like to know which of the cards mentioned in the title are worth the money. Is there any significant difference performance-wise?

Thanks

A:HD 6870 1GB vs. HD 6950 1GB - which one is worth the money

Whether they're worth the money is relative to what you are asking of them.

So rather than your question, the one you want to ask is "If I game at this resolution, which one would be more suitable in terms of price?"

Your answer:

Both are worthy if your gaming at 1080p, but the HD6950 is stronger due to being better performing. Seriously, a HD6870 will be fine for gaming at 1920x1080/1200 at high settings. If you have the money spare on top of that get a HD6950.

If your happy to spend the extra money a 2GB HD6950 is the better of the 3.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hd-6870-1gb-vs-hd-6950-1gb-which-one-is-worth-the-money.168543/
Relevancy 30.53%

I have a gb hard drive that came out an old pc It was running slow and was unable to backup I believe it was running Windows XP and I could not remember if it hard the back up facility prior to formating Unfortunately I took that risk and it started the formating process Luckily I switched it off immediately as soon as I saw that this was happening I to format, boot, 10 need photos kids won't Started of recover years worth have tried booting it back up again but files are missing I have tried booting off a downloadable boot CD Started format, won't boot, need to recover 10 years worth of kids photos and that did not work It is a Western Digital WD EB- CPFO Enhanced IDE Hard Drive I am told I can buy a docking station cheaply off ebay to connect it to my modern pc via USB Is this true and what do I have to buy Also I am told that I cannot just read it like an external USB drive the files will not be visable and need software to interrigate the hard drive once again is this correct This is pretty serious stuff as I need these precious pictures from the birth of my children every holiday etc yes big mistake Any advice would be greatly appreciated Craig nbsp

A:Started format, won't boot, need to recover 10 years worth of kids photos

Did you actually start a format or just start a reinstall of the OS? If it's the latter I would say boot from an Ubuntu disk and recover your files pretty simply. If you actually started a format I'm not sure. Maybe one of the other guys here will have more info on that. There might be some sort of utility you can have on a bootable CD that will scan the disk for recoverable files, but I've been out of that side of things for a while now.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/started-format-wont-boot-need-to-recover-10-years-worth-of-kids-photos.167460/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hi!

So I'm now trying to OC a friends computer but I can't change the multipler and when I change the bus speed (or what ever it's called) from 200 (default) to say 220 it also changes the memory speed and HT speed.

So what should or how can a lower the HT speed and memory speed so that if I set the bus speed to (ex.) 250 the memory would still run @ ~200MHz (according to CPU-z)..?

MOBO: A-S78H
CPU: AMD Athlon 4450e

A:Need some advice on overclocking

you are sol unless you have the unlocked cpu.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-some-advice-on-overclocking.166011/
Relevancy 37.41%

Several mos ago replaced OEM GPU that ran hot w EVGA GT When hot weather got here I noticed GT seemed to run hotter than I think it should w normal browsing temp to EVGA before GT up? 240 Max fan cranking allow But also noticed fan speed really didn t increase much until temps were in high s - Max temp to allow EVGA GT 240 before cranking fan up? even then fan might run only - I can get GPU up past C just clicking back forth on some images - like Mozilla themes Yes the GPU fins fan are clean - took em outside amp blew out Can see down thru the fins w a flashlight to check Really wasn t dirty so made no diff under type of use described Installed MSI s Afterburner amp tried the quot User defined software automatic fan control quot - which controls the fan well SpeedFan didn t amp easy on resources Question - at what temp would you really crank up the fan to avoid ever getting above that temp Specs or manuals don t give this info Obviously the stock setup wasn t effective Right now have Afterburner set to at C C see graph This may not be running the fan high enough to keep it below C - still gets there opening a lot of pages Once fan kicks in temp drops fairly quickly amp running at that easily drops it below C or Should note - no other components get nearly as high so doesn t seem to be a problem w the case I know some report GPUs running F amp even higher but seems kinda high amp hard on components if happens very often Still have a lot of room to increase fan speed but don t want to be overly concerned if C isn t an issue I could raise it to or higher C if necessary This also makes me question effectiveness of the factory thermal paste as I ve read so many complain about That maybe I should think about redoing the paste Thanks nbsp

A:Max temp to allow EVGA GT 240 before cranking fan up?

Hi Debbie,
GPU' s are designed to run warmer than CPU's so while cooler is better, 50-60c is nothing to get overly concerned with. increasing the airflow through your case to lower temps would be preferable to running the cards fan at 90% constantly if you can. The upper thermal limit for GPU's (AMD & Nvidia) is 105c. while thats to warm as far as I am concerned, If you can keep idle temps below 50c and load temps to 85c or less, the card will probably outlast your use for it.
Hope that helped

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/max-temp-to-allow-evga-gt-240-before-cranking-fan-up.167388/
Relevancy 31.82%

Hey guys just a quick question about internet speed I recently changed from Mb internet speed as we were paying around a month with Virgin Media M TV M Phone and M Broadband which is Mb- Mb but it was basic Mb most of the times and upgraded to Mb for cheaper Now my question is will I see any difference speed 30Mb Internet worth -- it? in latency when gaming I currently have - MS when playing on EU servers and around - MS when playing on the US servers When SWTOR Star Wars the Old Republic I will be joining a US guild crew clan which Internet speed -- 30Mb worth it? will be playing on the US servers so I was hoping that the Mb package will give me around stable - MS when playing on the US servers I would think there wouldn t be huge difference since anything over XX Mbps download speed would be waste guess the only benefit I will probably have is increase in the upload speed which was Mb on the Mb connection and now Mb on the new Mb connection Will be getting the Superhub this Wednesday still stuck on Mb Hope you can help thanks in advance nbsp

A:Internet speed -- 30Mb worth it?

Bump sauce, anyone? Will there be any difference in ping from 10Mb to 30Mb?

___

Edit

Just got my 30Mb setup and I tell you that there isn't much difference in the ping when gaming, maybe roughly 10ms at max due to the upload speed being higher. But downloading videos, music etc... is 3x as fast which is great! So far SuperHub is doing ok, no problems aroused but within 2hours already downloaded 1GB 244MB of Data (but 2 pcs running so hence why I guess).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-speed-30mb-worth-it.166814/