Windows Support Forum

If I setup folder restrictions, I am unable to save data through the data acquisition software

Q: If I setup folder restrictions, I am unable to save data through the data acquisition software

Hi everyone, my software(data acquisition software) works well and saves data in the folder with full control permissions, but when I try to save my data in the restricted folder(only delete permission is denied) it displays an error access denied.
Is there any workaround to disable the delete option and keeping the normal functioning of software intact, as my intention is to allow the users to generate the data and restricting them from deleting the generated data
Thanks in advance

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/026639d7-2c52-4c20-aca4-d5e6675b5611/if-i-setup-folder-restrictions-i-am-unable-to-save-data-through-the-data-acquisition-software?forum=w7itproappcompat
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: If I setup folder restrictions, I am unable to save data through the data acquisition software

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 24.51%

I am working on a Toshiba Satellite with Insyde H2O bios. It says to use F2 for setup and F12 for boot manager.

I've tried all the function keys, as well as esc and del and they only get me to Windows Boot Manager. (This includes F2.)

The machine has Vista that stops loading when it gets to the network drivers. Could a corrupt BIOS be the cause? If I download a new BIOS can I install it from the command prompt?

If the BIOS is still OK are there other ways to get into setup?

(Meanwhile F2 works just fine on my Dell Lattitude)

A:Can't get into BIOS setup utility

Try using a USB keyboard...

"Could a corrupt BIOS be the cause?"

I don't think you would get that far in the boot process if the bios were corrupt

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-get-into-bios-setup-utility.178271/
Relevancy 43%

I've said time and time again that solid state drives are the future but the truth of the matter is, traditional spinning disks still have a place inside a modern PC as a storage / backup drive. The question then becomes,...

Read more

A:Latest hard drive reliability data reveals it may be best to avoid 3TB drives

Well I'm glad I have never bought a Seagate HD. I usually buy Western Digital, except my SSD is Samsung.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/latest-hard-drive-reliability-data-reveals-it-may-be-best-to-avoid-3tb-drives.208285/
Relevancy 24.51%

Motherboard GA-X79-UD3 socket 2011
CPU Intel Core i7-3820 Sandy Bridge-E Quad-Core 3.6GHz
PSU 850 watt
ram 16 GB
Hard drive 256 GB ssd
at this time I have GPU is GTX 550tix2

A:Best card for my setup

Budget? What do you want this card for, I,e, gaming, video rendering, etc.? As for "best" there are probably several options open to you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-card-for-my-setup.216146/
Relevancy 19.35%

Hi all,
I am new to this forum..
To start, I had just bought an ASUS computer.. wanting to play games like borderlands 1, left for dead 2 etc. But, when I was very trilled waiting to start the games, both of them had blacked screen and forced shutdown my computer every time after the game has been launched!
I had done many researches in the net, changing the registry values in directx11, reinstalling the NVIDIA drivers (halfway black screen upon reinstalling), changing the compatibility to Windows 7, adding missing physxcudart_20 to the games...None of them works..T-T
Any help is greatly appreciated!

A:Unable to install Nvidia driver and also to play games on Windows 8.1

I'd recommend to do the following:

Perform a clean install of Windows

Re-install Nvidia drivers
Download CPU-Z and GPU-Z (or any CPU and GPU monitoring software)
Monitor both while attempting to play games - check for temperature spikes.
Doing the above will help you rule out a lot of potential issues that are causing your problems. The clean windows install will get rid of any OS related issues. You never want to touch the windows registry unless you really have to, especially if you're not very well versed in the way it works. It can cause way more harm than good. With that said, the system crashes were probably due to a bad driver instillation and was causing a BSOD - most modern systems are set to restart / shutdown when this happens. You'll never know it happened unless you changed the configuration to stop the automatic shutdown. It could also be temperature related, if your CPU or GPU overheats, it'll typically trigger a system crash as well and result in the same BSOD sequence.

Let me know how it goes after you've tried what I've mentioned.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-install-nvidia-driver-and-also-to-play-games-on-windows-8-1.213781/
Relevancy 19.78%

So about a few weeks ago (not exactly sure when it started) my computer stopped allowing me to access certain websites. It started out with only a few, but now it is almost 50-80% not connecting. I do not think it is a problem with my browser. I typically use Firefox, but IE will connect to the same ones Firefox allows, and will also not connect to the same websites Firefox will not allow.

I have searched these forums for a couple of hours now and nothing seems to fit my exact problem, and I am hesitant to use the solutions from other forums because it might further hurt my system. I am not tech-savvy/computer literate to say the least, and I would need a thorough walk-through on how to diagnose the problem, as well as how to fix it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

A:Unable to connect to most websites -- not a browser problem

How are you not allowed to view the website? Does the page show "The page cannot be displayed"? or you are not authorized or something else?

Try running cmd.exe, type "ipconfig /flushdns" without quotes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-connect-to-most-websites-not-a-browser-problem.177710/
Relevancy 20.64%

My ext.HDD don't show content of one of folders. It's not hidden! It start playing movies inserted in it when I try to play this folder with VLC player, but that is all what I'm able to do with it. I tried to check disk for errors bot none was found, have anyone idea what could be wrong? Thanks in advance Michal

A:Files in one folder on Ext.HDD don't show - not hidden

And we should play 20 questions as to WHICH directory??

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/files-in-one-folder-on-ext-hdd-dont-show-not-hidden.212643/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi all,

My friend's USB flash memory has data (its drive shows that there is data in it) but when I double click on it to open it and see the contents, it doesn't show any folders and files! I did the following works:

1- I scanned it by my updated kaspersky AV. but no threat found
2- Scanned by windows defender tool. same result!
3- scanned by malwarebytes anti-malware. same.
4- cmd (run as administrator) -> go to its drive (e.g., H:, when H is my flash drive) and typing the attarib -s -h *.* /s /d command. It could not to show the data.

All my attempts faced failure till now.

Can anyone help me please?

A:USB flash memory has data but doesn't show the contents

Salam
Go to cmd (run as administrator) -> go to its drive (e.g. H: where H is my flash drive) and type the attrib -s -h *.* /s /d
Now flash will show the data.
Your attrib spelling was wrong correct them
Try it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-flash-memory-has-data-but-doesnt-show-the-contents.193421/
Relevancy 22.79%

I have a three month old Dell Dimension GHZ P Gig Ram and a gig SATA Hard Drive When I got the computer I used the files and transfer PC Relocator utility And had in Error system drives did hard Message: disk find Setup not your installed any a bunch of unwanted extras that came with it I m having a Satellite Internet system installed and they wanted a clean install of windows XP So I opened the owner s manual and got out the reinstallation disk and the problems began By the way Dell tech support s only response has been to say gee that s not right and would send a tech sometime after Christmas Anyway heres step by step what I did I boot to the Dell reinstallation disk Error Message: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system The windows setup screen appears and loads files The next screen says welcome to setup and offers three options -to setup XP press enters To repair XP press R to exit without installing XP press F I press enter and the following message comes up Setup did not find any hard disk installed in your computer Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected And any disk related configuration is correct ect Press F to quit It dose this if I try repair also Dell had me check the connections to the HD and Motherboard They re good And debug the hard drive No luck Everything worked fine until I put in the reinstallation disk Any help would be welcome nbsp

A:Error Message: Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your system

During Setup, it will ask you if you need any extra drivers such as SCSI (or SATA in your case). If so, press F6. Now you are in trouble, because SATA drivers come on a floppy and new(er) Dells don't have a floppy anymore. Borrow a floppy-drive from another PC and install that in your Dell.
Setting up with the Dell disks, I'm not sure if they are RESTORE-disks or full XP-disks.
That may cause another problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-message-setup-did-not-find-any-hard-disk-drives-installed-in-your-system.18329/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hello friends
i am unable to get sound from the external speakers , when the speaker jack is connected to the cpu i hear sound from the internal speakers, how do i get my external speakers working

regards
Shiv

A:Unable to hear from the hear external speakers

shiv said:

Hello friends
i am unable to get sound from the external speakers , when the speaker jack is connected to the cpu i hear sound from the internal speakers, how do i get my external speakers working

regards
ShivClick to expand...

How about some more info about your system man?

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic33297.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-hear-from-the-hear-external-speakers.174073/
Relevancy 24.08%

Okay so I am having an issue working out if my case will be able to hold my motherboard and graphics card Case Details Available Color Black Materials Steel body plastic Dimension x x mm x x inch (I Computer Building my First setup) changed W x H x D Net Weight kg lbs M B Type Micro-ATX ATX quot Drive Bays exposed quot Drive Bays exposed hidden quot Drive Bays hidden I O Panel USB x int USB x Mic x Audio x supports AC HD Audio Expansion Slots Cooling System Front mm fan x optional or mm fan x Building First Computer (I changed my setup) optional Rear mm black fan x pre-installed Side left mm or mm fan x optional Side right mm fan x optional Building First Computer (I changed my setup) Power Supply Type Standard ATX PS EPS V optional Maximum Compatibility VGA card length mm inch with HDD cage CPU cooler height mm inch Now Ill list my other parts I have They should Building First Computer (I changed my setup) also be links if they are not links just search the name WD quot Green TB WD EZRX SATA M RPM HDD Patriot Signature GB Kit Gx DDR - - PSD G KH Samsung SATA x Black DVD RW Gigabyte N - GI N SL- GL DDR GT PCI-E VGA Card Intel BX G Pentium G GHz MB LGA ASRock H M Anniversary Motherboard nbsp

A:Building First Computer (I changed my setup)

From the case details you have supplied (Motherboard type: Micro ATX or ATX and maximum video card length of 320mm) you are well within the parameters of having everything fit.
ASRock H97M motherboard is a Micro ATX board.
Gigabyte N730-2GI video card is 185mm in length.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/building-first-computer-i-changed-my-setup.210947/
Relevancy 19.78%

A while ago, after accidentally opening the Store app, Windows forced me to restart to install Windows 8.1, which I was unable to weeks before because of driver issues. I didn't need Windows 8.1 yet, so I didn't download it before then.

However, during the installation, it failed (again) due to either my antivirus or the aforementioned driver issues. Upon logging back in, my computer was unable to find any WiFi networks. Seeing as I live in the middle of a densely populated city, this isn't possible. Plugging in an ethernet cord still works, so no issues with that adapter or my home internet. I checked all the drivers for my WiFi adapter, and my Ethernet adapter, and both are up to date and display as working properly. Restarting several times didn't seem to fix this issue, and using system restore didn't seem to work either. I used the Troubleshooting tool, and that didn't give my any helpful advice or answers, so I got nothing.

What can I do to fix this issue?

For reference, I have a Broadcom 802.11ac Network Adapter, Driver Version 6.30.95.14, and a Qualcomm Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller, Driver Version 2.1.0.7.

A:Unable to connect to WiFi after failed Windows 8.1 update

Never mind, it seems to have resolved itself overnight after I put it to sleep for several hours.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-connect-to-wifi-after-failed-windows-8-1-update.210268/
Relevancy 69.66%

This laptop will not save documents or files to the hard drive. They are there when initially saved, but disappear when the system is next switched on.

Anyone help me pls...

A:Laptop Fail to save any data to harddisk

You need to say whether you are new to computers or not and which Windows operating system you have. I remember when we first got a computer many years ago the wife thought that I'd deleted her work. In fact we didn't know whereabouts it was saved and couldn't find our way around. If you are a beginner using Windows 7 try clicking on the Start button and then Documents in the menu that opens to the right. By default that's where things are saved but you can use the Save As option and choose a different location.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-fail-to-save-any-data-to-harddisk.208753/
Relevancy 24.51%

Before I say anything else, I am very new to building a computer. Ive never built one in my life. I am curious if the setup I have to far will work! I am trying to look for pretty cheap but good options for parts. So far I have a case, processor, and GPU in mind. I need ideas for the motherboard especially. I dont know how to tell if everything would work correctly, so if something would be incompatible, could you tell me?

So far I have

GPU: Nvidia GTX 760
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770k
Case: NZXT Phantom 240 Mid Tower
Ram:
Motherboard:
Hard-Drive: Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD
Power Supply:
DVD Drive:
Operating System: Windows 7 64 Bit
Monitor:

Would there be anything else I need? Also what is thermal compound and Heatsink? Are these required for my setup? Please tell me if there is anything wrong with this so far and what items I should use for the unfilled spaces! Thank you all so much!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-this-setup-work.207722/
Relevancy 24.08%

I am trying to set up my Windows Xp computer as a VPN server I have taken the initial steps I get to the Accept Xp setup VPN hanging server Windows incoming connections screen and click okay The computer hangs for about a minute or so and then comes up with the following message Incoming connections depend on Routing and Remote access Windows Xp VPN server setup hanging service which was unable to start For more information check the system event log I presumed I had to go to control panel performance and maintenance Administrative Tools Event viewer I have already made sure that Routing and Remote access are enabled as well as Telephony I could not find Netbios in the services list and don t know where to Windows Xp VPN server setup hanging look for it Also when I try to start Routing and Remote access service manually I get the following message Windows could not start Routing and Remote access on local computer For more information review the System Event Log If this is a non-Microsoft service contact the service vendor and refer to the service specific error code- Can some one give me a step by step walk through of how to resolve this issue so I can connect to that computer from work over the internet nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-vpn-server-setup-hanging.207658/
Relevancy 20.21%

This all started after I reset the router putting in new pass code I m using same name of the old SSID When you click to Windows SSID was to unable connect on the wireless network connection on the name of my SSID on connect it saying Getting information from SSID this sounds like Windows was unable to connect to SSID good thing that windows can see the router and talk to it Type in the network key same thing looks like windows can see the router and talk Windows was unable to connect to SSID to it I type in the network key and OK Than it is saying windows was unable to connect to SSID name I have set up other computers and it can connect but this one computer running windows cannot I have the pass code down on paper and other computers can connect So wrong pass code is not the case The only thing I can think of is is computers using the old profile or my network card may need to be reset When I open networking sharing center and click on manage wireless networks I removed the old profiles in the list But I m not sure if there is still some kind of conflict or the old setting still there some where Well because I m using the same SSID despite the router reset and new pass code I m not sure why I cannot connect unless Windows was unable to connect to SSID the windows thinks I m connecting to the old SSID I tried to restart the computer and no change nbsp

A:Windows was unable to connect to SSID

Force the system to forget that SSD and then reboot.
Now look for it again and enter the passphrase.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-was-unable-to-connect-to-ssid.207365/
Relevancy 24.51%

This is my current setup and am wondering if there's anything that can be improved.
primary hard drive 210GB Samsung SSD
secondary hard drive 931 GB Western Digital
8 GB DDR 3 dual channel memory
2TB Western Digital Passport external hard drive
Intel i5 2500K processor (not overclocked)
After running Winaero WEI tool I was supprised to see my primary hard drive is the bottle neck as it's SSD. Is there a way I can tell that SSD is primary, and not the old hard drive?

I run Windows 8.1 as main computer, then with VMware I run Windows 7 from secondary hard drive (all of its files are on secondary hard drive).

I noticed with the VM running some programs take a while to load the first time. For example Maple and Photoshop take 10 seconds, but if they are closed and open again then they take 2 seconds to open. Also with the VM and Firefox running 75% of memory is used. Does this mean I need more RAM?

A:Best setup with hardware

All that means is drive as far as windows is concerned is slower than the graphics card, memory ,and processor is. that means nothing. u'r computer is fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/best-setup-with-hardware.206940/
Relevancy 24.51%

A few months ago I thought I got a great deal on a Dell Precision T with dual quad GHz processor and MB of RAM The Raid Of Setup Getting Out Need Help upgradable to over MB It also came with GB hard drives but before I figured out that the second drive was just a data recorder set up in a RAID formation in order to safely keep sensitive data safer by duplicating it on a second drive Well the second hard drive went out and I had to re- install Windows on the first drive and I thought everything would be allright but then Need Help Getting Out Of The Raid Setup the first drive went out also I have choices in the bios to change this setup RAID Auto Detect AHCI RAID Autodetect ATA or RAID On Obviously I want the RAID off but it looks like I have to reformat my hard drives to make that happen and I don t know how Can someone please help me fix my computer back to normal With this system I ought to have some serious power put together right I already have an gb new solid state drive but I don t want to mess things up before I put my operating system on the solid state for quick start ups and then add a couple of large hard drives for my large data Also upgrading the video card Can someone help me straighten this mess out because I am afraid I may need a certain format to keep this from happening again and I am in uncharted waters nbsp

A:Need Help Getting Out Of The Raid Setup

If u are only going to have one drive for the OS u need the raid turned off. just make sure to install programs on the other D: drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-getting-out-of-the-raid-setup.206492/
Relevancy 20.21%

So I have a very strange issue with my laptop.
It's a Toshiba a665-06f
I7 [email protected]
8gb ram
500gb Samsung ssd
Running Windows 8.1 pro

I can't get into the bios it boots in less than 10 secs, I've even tryed removing the hdd to get it to boot to the bios but it just sits at a blank screen when I do that. I've tryed tapping the all the f keys the del and esc on start cant get into the bios or even the boot options. Other than not booting into the bois it works great.
Any ideas please?

A:Unable to access bios

"Other than not booting into the bios, it works great"... So this means you can boot into Windows normally, and use the laptop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-access-bios.206928/
Relevancy 19.78%

The (Tp internet connect to 740n) router link via Unable to router worked fine in the past until recently my ISP had a break in the cable line and repaired it Now I am unable to connect to the internet If Unable to connect to internet via router (Tp link 740n) I connect the ISP s LAN cable directly to PC windows and do the following steps Control panel gt View network stats and tasks Setup a new connection or network gt Connect to the internet gt Next Broadband PPPOE gt Next Type in username password gt Connect Internet works fine This means there is no problem with the internet connection However if I connect the ISP s LAN cable to the quot blue quot port of the router and the short LAN cable to my PC then do the following steps Open http tplinklogin net It shows me router config page Click Quick setup gt Next Select PPPoE gt Next Type in username password gt Next Leave the Wireless Page untouched gt Next Click Reboot Wait till router reboots It does not work the router page shows quot Connecting quot but does not connect at all Here s the router log TL-WR N System Log Time - - s H-Ver WR N v S-Ver Build Rel n L M W PPPoE W M G st day OTHER INFO User clear system log st day PPP NOTICE PPPoE start connecting st day PPP NOTICE Standard authentication st day PPP INFO pppd start st day PPP INFO sent PADI Host-Uniq x st day PPP INFO sent PADI Host-Uniq x st day PPP INFO sent PADI Host-Uniq x st day PPP ERROR Timeout waiting for PADO packets st day PPP NOTICE Standard authentication st day PPP INFO pppd start st day PPP INFO sent PADI Host-Uniq x de st day PPP INFO sent PADI Host-Uniq x de st day PPP INFO sent PADI Host-Uniq x de st day PPP ERROR Timeout waiting for PADO packets st day PPP NOTICE Standard authentication st day PPP INFO pppd start st day PPP INFO sent PADI Host-Uniq x d st day PPP INFO sent PADI Host-Uniq x d st day PPP INFO sent PADI Host-Uniq x d st day PPP ERROR Timeout waiting for PADO packets st day PPP NOTICE Standard authentication st day PPP INFO pppd start st day PPP INFO sent PADI Host-Uniq x st day PPP INFO sent PADI Host-Uniq x st day PPP INFO sent PADI Host-Uniq x nbsp

A:Unable to connect to internet via router (Tp link 740n)

Please help me

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-connect-to-internet-via-router-tp-link-740n.206843/
Relevancy 20.64%

I'm attempting to connect my laptop to my Wi-Fi but I'm having problems. I'm able to connect other devices with no problems, but when I try connection my laptop I get a "limited connection" message with a yellow triangle. Someone please help!! Tell me what info about my laptop you need from me.

A:Unable to connect to Wi-Fi

"Other devices"? Do you mean other WiFi networks? If so, then reboot your router. Also make sure your laptop's wireless can handle what your router is outputting (ac, n? 2.4vs5.8Ghz).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-connect-to-wi-fi.205919/
Relevancy 20.21%

I've never come across this and need a few more heads on this. All of a sudden this evening I am unable to upload to the internet. I've tried uploading to Facebook, gmail, and drop box all with a laptop, galaxy tab, HTC one phone, ( these three on wireless internet) and our hp desktop (hard wired). I can download from each program with all devices as well as browse internet and play YouTube videos. I've rebooted each device. Rebooted modem, router, as well as removed the router from the equation. I had my local isp (Wow! Internet) reboot their end twice. They say they have no problems in our area and it's not on their end.... Anyone ran across this or have any ideas?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-upload-can-download.205781/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello all,
Windows 7 doesn't recognize my SSD drive. When I go to disk management, it shows a message to initialize it (image no.1) but when I press OK to do that, one another message appears and says: Data error cyclic redundancy check (image no.2). My computer windows doesn't show that drive and also when I went to cmd->diskpart, again it didn't show that disk to use of chkdsk /f command. How to solve the problem please?

A:Data error cyclic redundancy check ssd

I could to revive that disk in diskpart using PartedMagic in boot. I've uploaded a new image from that. The remained problem here is that I can't delete it there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-error-cyclic-redundancy-check-ssd.204783/
Relevancy 44.29%

My bother had deleted my laptop partition files and folders when attempting to extend my C partition. All my stored partition movies were lost and could not be found in Recycle Bin. Do you know where these partition videos are? I really want to view these videos again. What can I do to rescue them? Thank you for any advice!

A:Delete hard drive partition data

Hey, Luminaton03!

Sorry to hear you are experiencing such an issue.
Your data is stilll there somewhere as long as you don't overwrite it. If you save new data, it would rewrite your previous files.
I did some research for you and I found a threat that you might find helpful:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...back-the/a003d747-b760-42a7-819b-0235e8ec6d2c

I really hope this works for you!
Good luck!

SuperSoph_WD

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/delete-hard-drive-partition-data.204583/
Relevancy 42.57%

I have a sony SD Card 16gb class 4 card. I did use the card for almost 3 months, when I tried to use it now, I am not able to access the card,

I tried recovery softwares like recova etc to recover the file, but I was not able to recover even a single byte.

I have many importants files in the CARD, PLEASE HELP ME...,.

Thanks

A:Data recovery SD Card not accessible, says incorrect function showing unknown format

I think >>this thread<< could help you out . He seems to have the same problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery-sd-card-not-accessible-says-incorrect-function-showing-unknown-format.201611/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello,

Is there any difference between software which are used for recovering data from HDD or flash memory drives and SSD? For example, can we use of the apps used for HDD to recover data from SSD too?

A:Solid state drive data returning

I do not see why the HDD programs shouldn't work for SSDs. Maybe @jobeard can weigh in if I am wrong. I would check out this article.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/solid-state-drive-data-returning.204388/
Relevancy 24.08%

I bought a 250 GB Samsung Evo SSD 840 for my desktop (850 isn't available in Canada yet). I'm running Windows 7 but am considering upgrading to Windows 8 or Ubuntu (or dualboot/vmware). My work is technical and to keep up with the times I am considering Windows 8, though I don't have a touchscreen. I am not sure the kind of configuration to use and am open to ideas. The current hard drive I have is a slow 1TB one. I was planning on setting up the SSD as a cache.

EDIT: my motherboard is Asus p8z68-v le

A:Setup with 1TB harddrive and fast 250GB SSD

I would not recommend setting up a cache at all with that large capacity SSD. Usually people cache with 64GB SSDs, but in your case, you might as well just migrate data to the SSD and use the HDD for bulk storage (large files).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setup-with-1tb-harddrive-and-fast-250gb-ssd.204009/
Relevancy 20.21%

Just to be and Nvidia AMD: Features vs. Software clear I want NO ARGUMENTS This is a reasonable discussion The conflict between the two major GPU developers is as old as I remember and while the obvious answer in which is better depends on how much you want to spend and various subtleties in manufacturing Nvidia vs. AMD: Features and Software and releases the two generally leapfrog each other with every release I want to discuss what in terms of software support features and game coding each has over the other Lets start with what almost everybody knows Nvidia release drivers every time there s an actual update not the regular monthly update that AMD tend to do and while this probably results in better Nvidia vs. AMD: Features and Software updates it can mean a long time between problems getting fixed waiting for small fixes because a Nvidia vs. AMD: Features and Software big bug takes a long time to patch Nvidia have also developed the G-Sync for monitors which I barely know anything about - kind of the point of this thread a can anyone shed light on how this performs I ll update this top post as others provide feedback AMD s Mantle technology is becoming more and more widespread in new releases especially as AMD make more deals with game developers While my AMD GPU is too old to benefit from the Mantle updates it is doing well in trying to convince me to get AMD as my next card as well Again can anyone provide feedback on how the newer AMD cards perform on the Mantle-enabled games Cheers guys nbsp

A:Nvidia vs. AMD: Features and Software

ETF Soldier said:

Just to be clear, I want NO ARGUMENTS. This is a reasonable discussion.

The conflict between the two major GPU developers is as old as I remember, and while the obvious answer in which is better depends on how much you want to spend and various subtleties in manufacturing and releases, the two generally leapfrog each other with every release, I want to discuss what, in terms of software support, features and game coding, each has over the other.

Lets start with what almost everybody knows:

Nvidia release drivers every time there's an actual update, not the regular monthly update that AMD tend to do, and while this probably results in better updates, it can mean a long time between problems getting fixed (waiting for small fixes because a big bug takes a long time to patch).
Nvidia have also developed the V-sync for monitors, which I barely know anything about - kind of the point of this thread, a can anyone shed light on how this performs? (I'll update this top post as others provide feedback)
AMD's Mantle technology is becoming more and more widespread in new releases, especially as AMD make more deals with game developers. While my AMD GPU is too old to benefit from the Mantle updates, it is doing well in trying to convince me to get AMD as my next card as well. Again, can anyone provide feedback on how the newer AMD cards perform on the Mantle-enabled games?
Cheers guys.Click to expand...

Firstly I think both companies release drivers at pretty regular intervals at this point, every major game release at least entitles a beta driver minimum.

Your speaking about G-Sync I believe. It works very well for what it is which makes the monitor and GPU communicate together to change the refresh of the monitor live to match the output FPS in order to keep the game seeming as smooth as possible with no lag, frame tears, etc. Its an excellent piece of technology but you pay a 250+ dollar premium for a monitor with it minimum. Right now DisplayPort 1.2a added this to the VESA standard so now it can be done on monitors without the specific G-SYNC module however AMD is the only one to support this in the future when they start appearing but its still going to require some work from the monitor companies. G-Sync is awesome for high resolution and high refresh setups where stability is a bit harder to achieve.

BF4 with Mantle and surround going (Ill have my Asus UHD monitor today to try) is able to maintain easy 60 FPS ultra and thief is the same way. Those are the only two mantle games I have tried as I have not gotten around to getting one other game that supports it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/nvidia-vs-amd-features-and-software.203796/
Relevancy 19.78%

As the title says I'm trying to connect my HP3050 printer to my computer wirelessly. Problem is I get this:

The story goes that in the past week or so we swapped to a different internet provider and have swapped out the old modem/router for one that the new company has provided.
Prior to this no problems at all.

How do I counter this, I.e. remove the problem of what appears to be the availability of two routers, the new and the old?

Thanks,
Tom.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-connect-my-hp3050-printer-wirelessly.202822/
Relevancy 44.72%

Whenever I connect my Hard-disk to laptop, my laptop slows down and am not able to open the hard-disk folder. Am not able to access my data in it. As soon as I disconnect the Hard disk, laptop gets back to normal. Can anyone please help with the issue ?

A:Recover Data from Damaged Harddisk

If it's physically damaged, nothing you can do it in your own. You need to consult it to a professional unless you have knowledge and experience on some DIY hard drive repair.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/recover-data-from-damaged-harddisk.202712/
Relevancy 44.29%

Okay not really very good at this but my laptop stopped working so I took hd out and connected it to anotherlaptop through usb lead it appears in my disk management (although it shows up grey instead of black or blue if that makes sense to anyone) but it wont show in my computer I have a load od family photos on this drive and would really love some help and will send out good karma to all who try to help me many thanks in advance

A:Trying to recover data from crashed hard drive

Hi techmichellenot. When you say it stopped working,is there anything on the screen when you power up, or any indication that the system passed it's POST procedure (Power On Self Test), usually indicated by a beep before Windows itself tries to boot up?. Any error messages seen?. Sounds like you put the drive in an external case that can connect via USB. If there is indeed a problem with the disk drive and it's not a physical problem with the drive (maybe a corrupted Windows boot file,etc),your system may have a Recovery procedure that will reinstall your OS without erasing your data files (called a non destructive OS reinstall) as opposed to a destructive which erases everything and reinstalls the OS. I would check your documentation to see if your laptop has such a procedure.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-recover-data-from-crashed-hard-drive.189487/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi,

My internal HDD failed due to a sudden power outage. I can hear beeping sounds like the motor is trying to spin the drive up and failing to do so. This drive contains all my important data ( documents, photos and videos), I'm thinking of taking it to a data recovery center, How much would it cost me for a data recovery service? I've been recommended to WeRecoverData data recovery labs by an IT person, Anyone have experience with them? Any help advice? Thanks in advance.

A:HDD beeping. What's the best data recovery option?

Likely thousands. Hopefully in the future you will make backups of important data.

If it was killed by the power outage, you can probably fix it yourself by purchasing the exact same drive on ebay or wherever and swap the PCB.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-beeping-whats-the-best-data-recovery-option.201578/
Relevancy 46.01%

My house was hit by lightening a few years ago and it fried my computers- so I very quickly went out and bought a WD g mybook external hard drive which I have everything stored on Please keep in mind I am not an expert by any means and do not have a lot of experience with these types of things other than simple computer installs ect but I would not consider myself a beginner I am just desperate to recover my files without having to pay someone to try to do it for me A few weeks ago my computer simply me a WD MyBook off Help my get data stopped recognizing it was there When I would power it off or on or reset it it would attempt to load but the blue light would constantly blink First think I did was try a new USB cord which changed nothing- I also have tried it on three different computers- Nothing I read about taking the hard drive out of the casing yes I realize it voids any warranty but at this point I am more concerned with my data than getting any sort of a replacement so I carefully removed it- I put it in my computer hooked up to a SATA drive- It did not show up in Help me get my data off a WD MyBook Disk management or under my computer I went into BIOS and did see a removable disk but if I set it as boot priority obviously it would not work- I do not know if there was something else I should have done to get it to work in BIOS I then hooked it into another computer where I have a second hard drive- Took mine out and put this one in its place since I know that I am able to access my second hard drive on this computer- It simply didnt show up I then took it to Best Buy- And they informed it that the hard drive was trash- That her machine would not even get it to power up at all that data recovery was not even possible and I should throw the hard drive away and start over I took it to another computer store who told me they could send it out and attempt data recovery at the tune of I brought the drive home- Hooked back up the USB board and plugged it back in as if it was again a external- It turned on- light begin to blink as before- but I can also hear and feel it spinning- I am not hearing any strange sounds nothing sound loose inside it just sounds like it spins for a few minutes then stops- and that light constantly blinks I then read online that someone mentioned that with these they often have an encryption built in to the usb connection which makes it so the hard drive will not power up as an internal hard drive or without that usb board on it Anyone know if there is truth to that I am desperate to get this to function so I can get my files off of it- Please if anyone has any ideas what I can do please share Thank you in advance- Brooke nbsp

A:Help me get my data off a WD MyBook

I don't know anything that'll help you, sorry.

But here's your step#1 problem: My house was hit by lightening a few years ago and it fried my computers- so I very quickly went out and bought a WD 500g mybook external hard drive which I have everything stored on.

If your computers get fried, an external HDD will also probably get fried. Remember, having a backup means having a minimum of three copies (original, 'backup', long-term storage backup).

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-me-get-my-data-off-a-wd-mybook.192963/
Relevancy 20.21%

I bought a Samsung 840 SSD (120GB) for my gigabyte GA-770T-USB3 motherboard. I am unable to install win 7 64bit on it. It is a SATA SSD.

I have tried ACHD mode in the BIOS, I have tried IDE mode. The drive works as I have tested it as an external drive on other computers.

I bought the drive specifically to be used as a primary drive.

My regular hard drives work fine on the motherboard.

A:Unable to install SSD on Win7 x64 system

Well, first of all, your motherboard only supports 3GB/s and the 840 is a 6GB/s drive. Just by that you won't really get your moneys worth. And how so are you unable to install? Also can you please list your system specs?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-install-ssd-on-win7-x64-system.190141/
Relevancy 46.01%

Friends and neighbors, last March I had such a system crash that, due to the number of bad HD sectors, I had to replace the HD. The HD with my various tools was not even detectable. My system ran Windows 7 64-Bit and IE9. The computer is an MSI notebook. Anyway, while doing some searching to diagnose another problem, I registered for this site after seeing Puppy Linux, whose page I saved to my Favorites. Having kept the old HD, in case I could salvage any data, is it possible for me to use Puppy Linux on that old HD? Thanks. Your answers will be a great help.

A:Data Recovery Possible?

Hey Louis. We don't know how bad the drive is, but you can try putting the drive in a USB enclosure, formatting it, then install Puppy Linux on it, since apparently Puppy Linux doesn't require a lot of space and can also be run from RAM according to the Wikipedia link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puppy_Linux

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery-possible.200262/
Relevancy 43.86%

So... like most of world my family lives online. Having found that ISP pricing in Alaska is horrendously expensive, I want to find a solution that I can create 4 SSIDs, one for each of my three kids (ages 12, 14, &16) and one for me and my wife, and place a data cap on each SSID so that I can't be hit up with the bills that come with overages. I figure with individual SSIDs they can use what ever device they have with out having to detirmine MAC addresses or IPs used or any of that other stuff.

I would like to have just one router be able to accomplish this. I have an older router, an Apple Time Capsule I bought about 6 years ago, but as I don't use Macintosh computers any more, I would be happy to buy a new router and get it set up to manage this dilema.

Any Advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/router-and-networking-multiple-ssids-and-data-cap-per-ssid.200229/
Relevancy 44.72%

You saved an old hard drive (or three) from previous computers and now you?d like to get at the data on them. Is there an easy way to access the data without cracking open your current computer and mounting the hard drives inside?

Read more

A:How to Get Data Off an Old Hard Drive (Without Putting It in a PC)

very good. I was trying to explain this to someone. Now I think I will just send then the Web Page.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-get-data-off-an-old-hard-drive-without-putting-it-in-a-pc.200129/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hello everyone,

I'm using windows 7 on my pc and try to connect to my home wireless connection .
every time I try to connect and enter the password, it won't be connected.
However, I'm using my laptop and phone to connect and it worked properly.

Please help my problem
Thanks in advance

A:Windows 7 unable to connect to wireless connection

How is your wireless Configured. I have seen many issues when using mixed mode in certain Linksys or Cisco Products. What kind of adapter are you using on y our PC for wireless Connection? Has it ever worked?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-unable-to-connect-to-wireless-connection.199928/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hello
guys please I need your help, my laptop keep saying
Unable to connect to the proxy server what can I do to fit it please

A:Unable to connect to the proxy server

You are getting this message because the laptop can't find a wireless network to connect to...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-connect-to-the-proxy-server.199618/
Relevancy 45.58%

I burned 1 GB of info in a DVD-R disc. Computer could read it perfectly and said 1 GB was recorded and 3 GB still free available for more data.
Next day I tried to add more data, 0.5 GB in a folder. All was OK, I dragged folder to DVD and PC said it was doing the job, after 2 minutes said folder was ready to be burnt. But the previous folders did not appear. I quit burning and tried to check the information on DVD. right- clicked properties and PC says it has 1 GB of data burnt and 3 GB available. But if I try to read the information I had burnt before, nothing, no files or folders.
May I still recover the 1.0 GB recorded first day? HOw?

A:DVD-R with 1 GB info but data is missing

When burning multiple sessions to a DVD-R disk, if the sessions are not left open or closed improperly, then it can "lose" data or make the entire disk worthless. As for recovering data from a DVD-R or any optical disk, for all intents & purposes it's a lost cause, it's not impossible, but it would cost out the wazoo and the likelihood of recovery is slim.
As cheap as DVD-R disks are, don't burn multiple sessions, just burn once and be done with it.

Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-r-with-1-gb-info-but-data-is-missing.198267/
Relevancy 20.21%

Just upgraded form my old EVGA Superclocked GTX 570 to my new Palit GTX 770 Jetstream 4Gb, had to fanny around a lot with my Antec 900 case to get the beast to fit but everything seems fine now, card idles at 30-35c. Underload at around 65c. However the overclocking/temperature control software that came with the card, Thunder Master just does not quite seem up to par with EVGA Precision. Can anyone tell me if I can continue to use EVGA Precision safely and without any adverse effects with this Palit card because I just cant seem to get to grips with this Thunder Master. For some reason it trys to allways achieve 70c.

A:Temperature control software

andy06shake said:

Just upgraded form my old EVGA Superclocked GTX 570 to my new Palit GTX 770 Jetstream 4Gb, had to fanny around a lot with my Antec 900 case to get the beast to fit but everything seems fine now, card idles at 30-35c. Underload at around 65c. However the overclocking/temperature control software that came with the card, Thunder Master just does not quite seem up to par with EVGA Precision. Can anyone tell me if I can continue to use EVGA Precision safely and without any adverse effects with this Palit card because I just cant seem to get to grips with this Thunder Master. For some reason it trys to allways achieve 70c.Click to expand...

My recommendation is to use MSI afterburner for your temperature controlling needs and overclocking. It is non-biased and will work with any video card no matter the type, whether its amd of nvidia, and who made it.

Link here

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/temperature-control-software.199318/
Relevancy 20.21%

I am finding this problem to be a bit of a puzzler I have pc s networked together and connected to the internet through a switch and Unable the browse internet 7 to Windows then to a BTrouter all connected via Ethernet cabling None will connect to any page using IE one Unable to browse the internet Windows 7 has google chrome that will open google do a search if Unable to browse the internet Windows 7 I type in a subject but if I try to open one of the found pages it won t open them if I type in a website address same problem If I go into windows Live mail it will send and receive mails suggesting to me that internet is connected I have ran scans with Combofix and Malwarebytes which found next to nothing and booted into safe mode but still no success I can access the software on the routers so that connection is fine Have rebooted router and also changed the router for a different make and still no success both routers seem to tell me that broadband is connected This was all working OK some days ago and then all stopped working Any suggestions would be gratefully received nbsp

A:Unable to browse the internet Windows 7

Let's try this; using an Admin user login, get the command prompt and then enter:

ipconfig /flushdns
net stop "dns client"
Quit any existing browser, restart a browser and try Google again.
If you can run like this (btw: it will be slower to resolve the url), then we need to investigate youretc\hosts file. If you still can't surf the net correctly, we need to dig deeper.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-browse-the-internet-windows-7.198415/
Relevancy 20.21%

Hi!

I remember when I first lost my Motorolas original CD, I couldn't find the software anywhere to be downloaded and no one that i knew had a motorola rzr mobile phone...

I found my old cd here a few days ago so I made an .iso file of it and uploaded it (as 13 .rar files, the file max size is 50Mb).

Here it is

Tel me if the link doesn't work or something.

http://cid-e198cc24bf261f09.office.live.com/browse.aspx/Motorola Razr?permissionsChanged=1&1

A:Motorola Razr v3 drivers and software

Yep that works for me.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motorola-razr-v3-drivers-and-software.159146/
Relevancy 23.22%

Hey guys,

I'm needing some information that is extremely hard to come by.

The 740m in the HP Envy 17t-j000, does anyone know, or does anyone know WHERE to look (Google failed me, or I failed Google!) to find out whether it needs ACTIVE displayport -> HDMI adapters?

I question this because I know the 57xx series from ATI required active. The card only supported 1 RAMDAC signal (or something?) and the Nvidia's tech seems different. According to HP support, passive will work fine. I need to have the adapters ordered ASAP, but I do not want to order the incorrect ones.

Any assistance is appreciated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hp-envy-17t-j000-w-740m-triple-monitor-setup-questions.197029/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have a 430gt with 3 monitor hooked to it , but I can only display on 2 .So is there a program that is good to use . to make all 3 display at the same time . So I can play games on 1 and have the on another and maybe run something else on the other?

A:3 monitor setup

Well I do believe the GT 430 only supports up to 2 monitors running at the same time if im not mistaken, im looking on NVidia.com and it seems to be so. However if you are running on an Intel Processor, you can set it to support a third monitor by plugging into the Intel HD on board graphics to get a third monitor going.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/3-monitor-setup.196949/
Relevancy 19.78%

Good evening fellas The Problem This is an issue I have never run into before on numerous builds My computer wont reset from pressing the reset button or through software reset I was able Computer wont reset (Hard or Software) to get through windows installation by pressing the power button and powering back up This is when I noticed a second issue My computer wont boot to windows with the USB mouse and key board plugged Computer wont reset (Hard or Software) in Front panel or back panel its just a black screen It will post with the USB mouse and keyboard plugged in as I am able to press F to get into bios I tried rearranging the front panel connectors on the mobo running with only the power button hooked up running with the front pannel usb hooked up and looking around bios for any relevant settings cant find anything there related to boot Once in windows I test my hardware by playing about hours straight of AC and doing burn in tests with no errors I am at a loss The Background I recently bought Computer wont reset (Hard or Software) a replacement mobo and power supply to replace a pair that fried due to moisture I bought a new case because I fell out of favor with my old case that had a window pane and led lights and I upgraded my ram to gb x gb modules Essentially I only kept my TB HD DVD-RW Video Card and CPU I tested all of the hard ware I kept in a friends system he let me use for the purpose and those components all burned in well after about hours of benching and burn in testing with no errors The Hardware Mobo Asrock N C-GS http www asrock com mb NVIDIA N C-GS FX CPU Phenom X BE GPU Pallet GT Sonic Edition http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E RAM GB PC http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E PSU Raidmax Hybrid W Modular http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E nbsp

A:Computer wont reset (Hard or Software)

A strange problem indeed.

Triple check your wiring is correct using your motherboard manual. Be sure the motherboard is mounted correctly on the standoffs and no grounds are occurring.

Faulty buttons on the case itself?

Reset bios to optimal defaults, clear cmos.

After that I would return the mobo.

Sorry I cant be more specific, Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-wont-reset-hard-or-software.196539/
Relevancy 24.51%

Today I boot my 1 year old computer this message appears:

"Please enter SETUP to recover BIOS setting

Press F1 to run SETUP"

I did the F1 thing, reloaded my OC profile and everything seems fine right now. Anyone knows why this happened? And above all: what are the chances of this happening again on my next cold boot? How to fix?

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz 33 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
8,00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P8P67 (LGA1155) 28 °C
Graphics
E2250 ([email protected])
2048MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 (Gigabyte) 30 °C
1024MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Elitegroup) 28 °C
ForceWare version: 326.80
SLI Disabled
Hard Drives
932GB Seagate ST310005 24AS SCSI Disk Device (SATA) 25 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST BDDVDRW UH12LS29 SCSI CdRom Device
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

A:Press F1 to run SETUP

It could be possible your cmos battery is bad. Beings its a year old. I would think this would not be the case. But you never know how long the manufacter had the battery. Before installing the battery on your motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/press-f1-to-run-setup.196470/
Relevancy 19.35%

My computer battery was replaced by a family member and when I boot up my PC which took about 10 minutes instead of 30 seconds. I noticed that the 2 harddrives were displayed in the bios as raid drives. The 2 harddrives are SATA. However in Windows when I right click on My Computer and select Manage then Device Manager they appear as NTFS format.

I sure that this configuration has something to do with response.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to restore my raid drive back to 2 harddrives under NTFS without loosing my data. I would prefer a software tool or a step by step solution since I am not comfortable with manually making changes to computer settings.
Thank you for your advice in advance to this frustrating problem
Regards
Ntracs (Joe)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/converting-raid-harddrives-back-to-ntfs-with-software-tools.196141/
Relevancy 24.08%

Greetings you lovely bunch I am in the process of building myself a new funmachine Unfortunately I have stalled at the sound setup Through extensive research I have established that the following criteria are the most recommendable in order to achieve the best overall sound experience Avoid headsets headphones with microphones Avoid wireless Avoid USB Only stereo headphones I e one speaker per spectacular setup Seeking sound ear Open cup for sound quality I sit in a quiet environment The machine will be used mainly for entertainment purposes being gaming video watching and music listening in order of importance I do not consider myself an audiophile per se I do however value a great atmospheric feeling Seeking spectacular sound setup accurate D positioning and comfort I already plan on getting the Gigabyte GA-Z X-UD H motherboard Will its onboard sound Realtek ALC cover my wishes when paired Seeking spectacular sound setup with some good headphones or should I get a soundcard And what about an amplifier a DAC etc Originally I considered getting the Sennheiser HD as it has garnered much critical acclaim Unfortunately momomo wasn t impressed with its sound stage Despite my highest efforts this leaves me fairly puzzled and in need of your kind help Which sound setup compliments my computer experience the most without being overkill I have a generous budget All response is of course greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Seeking spectacular sound setup

"I already plan on getting the Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H motherboard. Will its onboard sound (Realtek ALC898) cover my wishes when paired with some good headphones ? or should I get a soundcard? And what about an amplifier, a DAC etc.?" You won't need a sound card, just headphones or a low cost wired 2 speaker+ powered subwoofer

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/seeking-spectacular-sound-setup.194793/
Relevancy 24.51%

I have an EVGA GTX 560-Ti graphics card connected to two monitors. The primary monitor is a Syncmaster 2433BW and the second monitor is a Syncmaster 204B. Everything was fine until this morning when I booted up and found the second monitors resolution way off. After entering the NVIDIA control panel I found the monitor simply identified as Digital Display with a very limited resolution table available, the monitor was set to 1024x768. On the control panel resolution screen it is identified as "Generic Non-PNP Monitor with only two resolutions neither of which is the recommended 1600x1200. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver with no improvement.

A:Lost monitor ID in setup

Have u tried This option the Resize? I use this due to my Samsung tv doesnt have really good scaling which I was left to using a random resolution but this random resolution still is read from the tv as 1920x1080 maybe it might work for u

if this doesnt work I havent actualy got which driver did u install nvidia driver or the monitor one? if so this is were u should go
<-this image seems to not be working right click open in new tab

Right click my computer Properties Device manager and rightclick on the monitors and update software

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lost-monitor-id-in-setup.195406/
Relevancy 19.78%

Problem:
I have a PC that has to connect to a server through a modem for security reasons.
While it is connected to the modem, a screen needs to be printed.
The printer that is being used is connected to the local network.
While connected to the modem, attempting to print gives the error "The RPC server is unavailable."

System:
Windows XP Professional SP3
Printer server is Windows Server 2008
Modem is old 56k modem connected by serial port (don't think that matters)

What I've tried:
I have tried modifying the routing table to force connections to the subnet that the computer and printer are hosted on.
route -p add 10.1.0.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 10.1.61.0 METRIC 40 IF 0x2
ip for the PC is 10.1.61.53, ip for the printer is 10.1.61.22, IF 0x2 is the integrated NIC
The RPC service is running, and I have also started the RPC locator

Any suggestions what I should do next?

A:Unable to print to network printer while connected to modem

These are correct

ip for the PC is 10.1.61.53,
ip for the printer is 10.1.61.22, IF 0x2
but this is not

route -p add 10.1.0.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 10.1.61.0
and should not be necessary at all, if the PC gateway is on 10.1.61.x

Instead, get the output of ROUTE PRINT and post that

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-print-to-network-printer-while-connected-to-modem.195362/
Relevancy 39.13%

This could sound confusing but please bare with me So I had a TB HD Sata with win I took it out and used a new SSD which I put Win on Then I hooked up a TB HD Sata as Storage Simple so far right Well now I want to get my documents Bookmarks etc off the quot OLD quot drive I figured simple like with IDE HD s but no When I hook it up as the only drive I get this message EFI Shell Version Current get do How main off Hard Data My Drive? I "former" running mode Map Cannot find required map name Press Esc in seconds to skip startup nsh any other key to continue shell id gt When I hook it up as the second How do I get Data off My "former" main Hard Drive? drive After the SSD the drive doesn t show up I tried to put it in another PC by itself but it said something like it wasn t the disk for that PC Someone please tell me there is an easy way around this I googled a bunch of stuff and tried a few things with no luck I m hoping I m just frustrated and missing the obvious Thanks for any help nbsp

A:How do I get Data off My "former" main Hard Drive?

How about unplugging ssd plug old drive back in then transfer stuff to ur 2tb once done unplug old and replug ssd ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-get-data-off-my-former-main-hard-drive.194502/
Relevancy 44.72%

I was curious if anyone who has Spotify Premium and uses it regularly on their smartphone could tell me approximately how much their monthly data usage is. I was planning on getting 4GB and was curious if this would be enough with using Spotify.

Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-usage-with-spotify-premium.195235/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi. I use a 1tb external hard drive to store music, photos and movies. I use it on my Imac, also on my Asus e-book. I see that the external hard drive is partitioned into two. How or why I don't know. What I do know is that the first part is now full, and I cant see the second part when plugged into the USB on either computer. Could anyone help me by suggesting how I can access the second 500gig? Id appreciate answers in plain English, I really dont understand more than the basics, and the clearer ans simpler the answers the more I will learn, and thanks to all those about to read this !

A:Unable to access both partitions on external hard drive

Back-up all your data on the first partition.​
Right click on "My computer" and click "manage".This should take you to the computer management screen.​
Look at the left, you should see an option that says "Disk Management"; Click on it.​
You should be able to see all the disc partitions, find your External HDD partitions.​
Right-Click on the 2nd partition and delete it.​
After that right click on your first partition and select the option to "Extend Partition"​
​If you are confused, or need confirmation for anything please don't hesitate to ask.​

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-access-both-partitions-on-external-hard-drive.195074/
Relevancy 46.01%

I have an old laptop HDD (I think it's out of a Dell Latitudes laptop) and I need to access data off of it. I have an SATA/IDE to USB adaptor that I've used successfully several times in this type of situation. However, this particular drive won't respond when I hook it up. It just doesn't spin. I took it to a computer shop to see if they could help me, but they weren't able to get it going.
My thinking is, if I was a bad guy and the F.B.I. confiscated this drive, how would they get info off of it? There must be a way. Any thoughts?

A:Data Extraction

Buy the exact same drive on ebay. If the drive isn't spinning up it is a board issue (or a HORRIBLE spinny failure). So, get the exact same drive from ebay or somewhere else, and swap out the PCB. Problem solved.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-extraction.194776/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have lost my important and personal data on my SD card. As I tried to connect it to my Mac, it was asked to format, and I pressed it. So, now, all the data is lost. But, I know the lost data after formatting is not actually erased. It is still there and becomes inaccessible. Therefore, could you help me get it back? Any idea could be appreciated. Thank you!

A:How to get back data from a formatted SD card on Mac?

Hmm as far as my knowledge goes, you cannot, I think mostly every website that offers to 'recover' any type of format is a virus in waiting, as for software goes you may wish for someone with more knowledge, the only safe way I can think of is expensive.

Data recovery is not always 100% so take into account you may pay and not get anything in return,
http://stellardatarecovery.co.uk/ Unsure they do SD or not, but it's more likely best to find one yourself so I cannot be held liable!

Hope this helped!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-get-back-data-from-a-formatted-sd-card-on-mac.193375/
Relevancy 43.86%

Objects available : Laptop with windows vista(32 Bit Home Basic SP 2)
: iPAD
: Tata Docomo internet data card

PROBLEM : I connect to internet via data card on my laptop. I want to share this internet connection on my iPAD which I am not able to do.

After connection to internet via data card on laptop, I created a wireless ad hoc connection. Which creating ad hoc connection I do not get the option of " SHARE INTERNET".
On iPAD this network is detected and the iPAD connects to this network.
On Laptop it is then shown this way :-

MY LAPTOP -------------------- MULTIPLE NETWORKS ----------------- INTERNET

But still the internet on iPAD doesnt get activated.

Plz help. ...

A:Access data card internet on laptop through wifi

GOT THE SOLUTION.!!!
After extensive search on the internet, I got 1 solution. Unchecking the option "ALLOW SHARE OF CONNECTION" in properties of the data card internet. Then setting up of an ad hoc connection, will get the option "SHARE INTERNET CONNECTION".

Thank You

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/access-data-card-internet-on-laptop-through-wifi.193231/
Relevancy 39.13%

I have a WD External SATA 1TB Hard Drive that has ~700 GB of family memories/movies/documents/etc and it is now connected to Windows 8.

The original housing it came in was unsurprisingly cheap and the connection piece broke. I re soldered it on and the connection was made but the drive threw nothing but errors. I figured I messed it up so bought an external case and assembled it. Now however, the drive does not show up under my computer but does in Disk Management.

Disk Management claims that the HD has the full TB unallocated and not initialized. I don't want to initialize it because I don't want to lose the information I have on it. Any idea on how to get this working?

I have downloaded and used the Data Lifeguard available at WD and the External has passed the Quick Test so drivers are all there and working.

Thanks

A:WD External Drive "not initialized" but has data on it?

Umm, I would try first connecting it back to whatever PC version you were using before (Assuming Windows 7) and seeing whats up.

If that does not work, try messing with the connection that you re-soldered and making sure its all done fully correctly, something may have gotten crossed.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-external-drive-not-initialized-but-has-data-on-it.193090/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hello All I have decided on the following Cooler Master Eisberg L Prestige Alphacool NexXxoS XT Radiator mm And I m deciding on a GPU block at a later date when the new Nvidia cards come out I Setup together Linking Watercooling help was hoping to set it up Watercooling Setup Linking together help as Pump Reservoir is built onto the CPU block which makes this all very easy supposed to anyway and is upgradable so you can add an extra few items to the loop I was hoping to mount the mm radiator it comes with to the top of my case and the extra mm radiator to the back of my case I was hoping having the mm radiator cool the water before it entered the graphics card block would help yield better results and thus the fans can run at a slower speed I m not trying to break any records and certainly don t plan on overclocking a whole much I just find water cooling much quieter in general compared to a multi-fan heatsink and a load of case fans plus the fans on the GPU My question is can this be done I m rubbish at checking the tubing sizes and what I need to actually connect it all up preferably white hose Any advise would be very much appreciated nbsp

A:Watercooling Setup Linking together help

Unless getting this kit for the same amount of money would be better?

http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Alphacool-NexXxoS-Cool-Answer-240-LTST-Full-Kit_30211.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/watercooling-setup-linking-together-help.192663/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi all I am going to be buying new HDD s and would setup Raid0 New Here, like to setup a raid on them using New Here, Raid0 setup windows bit I also would like to install a rd SSD for Ubuntu type drive in my optical bay I have no clue as to the proper order for this operation optical replacement first or raid setup first I am not totally new to computers but I have mainly worked with desktops before I do understand my laptop though as I have opened it up for HDD and RAM upgrades and the Optical bay looks pretty simple with only a few screws to remove I need step by step instructions for the raid setup and where to get the drivers for it if windows bit DVD does not have them already The installation of the SSD into the optical bay is no problem nor is installation of the dual Hybrid drives I ll be getting so it s mostly the software setup of things for the raid I was going to enter some links to the gear I would like to get but this site gave me some BS about Kismet So I will leave them out for now Let me know if you need to know the gear to help me here For now my system is the G sx If there is a better bay replacement HDD or SSD that you know and has awesome reviews please let me know I like to buy things on Amazon for the most part as the return process has been excellent for other things before just in case I should point out also that this rig will be gaming mostly with the ssd ubuntu setup for everything else and to play around with Linux for fun Thanks Ahead nbsp

A:New Here, Raid0 setup

HALT, STOP, DESIST;

Rule 1:- never use raid-x for a BOOT device.

Rule 2:- don't assume that Raid-0 is "faster" or that Raid-1 "doesn't require backup"

Rule 3:- Raid is a Server feature, not intended for the home user.

Now then, go read all you can about Raid before you spend $0.10 more.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-here-raid0-setup.192766/
Relevancy 24.94%

Hi I m setting up my PC amp stuck between set of options Both of the setups fits within Rs - which is my budget I will be gaming mostly and no multitasking only single threaded applications I want the best cpu clock speed amp overall graphics possible and also which will serve me good for atleast to years My options are AMD FX- MSI A-G AMD Motherboard AMD ATI HD GB GDDR AMD A - K ASUS F A -M-PRO Motherboard ASUS AMD ATI HD GB GDDR CrossFire-ed with the APU help PC Setup Graphics I don t know whether the MSI mobo I mentioned in the st option is the best but it is surely PC Setup help one of the cheapest If there are any other good amp cheap am mobo and or any gfx card that fits in the budget please mention Also if you think that any other combo of these three viz CPU GPU amp Mobo suits my requirements amp budget better PC Setup help please suggest Thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-setup-help.192000/
Relevancy 25.37%

Gents, built my own machine last year and installed a 60GB SSD strictly for Win 7 only (have two other HD's installed for storage and programmes)

Lately im getting alerts to say my SSD is now full and after doing what I could through the tools on Win 7 I was only able to free up 5 GB's What the hell is on here? Win updates? Everything I do is directed to my HD on the E: drive

Alternative is to buy another - can you transfer the root HD to another HD? really didnt plan for this, I know 60GB isnt that large but it was only ever to use as a boot drive.

Suggestions anyone?

A:60GB boot SSD full, but don't save anything to it

System restore points or pagefile maybe?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/60gb-boot-ssd-full-but-dont-save-anything-to-it.187889/
Relevancy 46.01%

Up until days ago my laptop was working fine Then all of a sudden while transferring files to external hard drive it just froze and that was pretty much the end of it It got to the point where this would keep happening and I know help recovery Need data with it s not good but I ended up just forcing the computer to shut down by pressing the power Need help with data recovery button then the computer wouldn t even boot up I ended up just buying a new laptop btw the external hard drive from my old laptop works fine I bought a hard drive enclosure for the old hard drive from my old laptop to recover some data the hard drive shows up as LOCAL DISK on the new computer but it freezes up when I try to access it everything else on the new computer working fine and can t even eject it Whenever I try to do something with the old hard drive it just takes a long time or there s no response or it freezes It even prevents my new computer from booting up or shutting down Is it hopeless to retrieve some data from this drive or is it a lost cause Really appreciate any help Thanks nbsp

A:Need help with data recovery

The drive may have some sort of malware on it. Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, and run a custom scan on the drive. If it comes up clear, it may have errors. We will proceed from there after you have completed the scan. Best of luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-data-recovery.191310/
Relevancy 20.21%

See the description in full on the Cisco.com/security site

A:Multiple vulnerabilities in Cisco ASA software

I read about this yesterday. This is a big exploit and needs to be fixed. Too bad there are too many newbies that wont know how to update the firmware or arent even aware of this issue.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/multiple-vulnerabilities-in-cisco-asa-software.191502/
Relevancy 19.78%

I want to buy a laptop to run professional recording software. The minimum requirement is an Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 2.67GHz. Can I use a quad core with less speed. What are my options?

Thanks

A:Help understanding minimum processor requirements for recording software

Is there a trial version of the software for you to test on your current system?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-understanding-minimum-processor-requirements-for-recording-software.191471/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello Today my WD Raptor decided to die all of a sudden while using my computer it just froze up blue screen on me and reboot then keeps looping I do regular backups so I have quot most quot of my data on my external drives but this happened so suddenly that I have some recent excel files and pictures that are not on my last backup and I would really like to recover those files I run DFT and result was some sector logical failure I remove the drive installed on another computer and I can see the drive but every time I double click on it I got the message quot You need to format the disk in drive D before you can use died, data Raptor need recovery WD it quot and sometimes when I click on the drive I got quot D is not accessible Data error cyclic redundancy check quot Disk management sees the drive as quot Active Primary Partition quot but still can t open it from there I haven t format it yet but I wonder if there is a way to access it somehow to retrieve the data or the only way is WD Raptor died, need data recovery to format it to access it and then use some software to recover the files Suggestions opinions what do you guys think what options do I have Thanks in advance for all the input nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-raptor-died-need-data-recovery.191410/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi I have a TOSHIBA GB I had much important project data on it and I did the most terrible mistake of my life not to back it up when all my other HDD datas are double if not triple backedup stick data recovery Memory It was working fine till late night till in the morning when I plugged it on my computer it told me it Memory stick data recovery sholud be formatted first The drive letter doesn t show up on My computer nor in My devices I tried using the EaseUS Data Recovery sample version but it too cant detect the drive I went through the flash drive data recovery procedure in this forum but I do not understand that if I format the drive the data will be gone Again I do not have a backup to copy it again I dont want to recover using the drive but just the data Please please please help someone if such a thing is possible Its almost months of my hard work An update Now its appearing as Removable disk on my computer and if I click on it its saying insert disk into drive F If I try exploring it the format option is appearing Please please help I need the data nbsp

Relevancy 23.22%

Our internet goes from:

Comcast modem to a
Dlink DIR-655
To computers or through a switchbox to other parts of the house
In the basement, is another switch box, and off that switchbox is,
Belkin 85c Wireless router, that we use as an access point
Works well but it says it has the ability to have a guest login, that will allow visitors to get to the internet, but are blocked from our LAN.

I've spent hours trying to set the guest login up, the access point can be seen by a computer/etc, but when they connect, they cannot get to the internet.

the windows 7 computers try to set up an unidentified public network.

I'm sure there is something very simple I am missing, but I've got close to 20 hours invested in it, and need to protect my network.

the Windows 7 notebook said that it could not connect with a "homegroup".

A:Belkin 85c wireless router, used as an access point. Guest setup?

Hmm; I cant find "Belkin 85c Wireless router" on the Belkin Support site - -
Are you sure of that make/model number?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/belkin-85c-wireless-router-used-as-an-access-point-guest-setup.190913/
Relevancy 44.72%

Greetings guys, hope you are doing fine.

I'm using ExpatShield to play SCII ( long story ). Anyway, I tried today to download an arcade map from within SC ( 3 MB ) but it was extremly slow. I alt-tab and opened Resource Monitor and here is what I found >> http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/33/expatbug.jpg/
As you can see ExpatShield is downloading at near 70 KB/sec but is not passing data to the original application ( SC in this case ). It actually downloaded more than 70 MB and the map was still at 2%. Moreover, when I exited SCII, Expat kept downloading.
It usually works fine except for this case.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/expatshield-not-passing-data-to-application.190865/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi;
I've got a home network with two wireless access points (routers with WiFi). One router is the main unit for Verizon FIOS. this is the DHCP server. The other router is upstairs, and performs only to allow an iPod or Kindle to be connected upstairs (have trouble getting a good signal from the main router downstairs). This router has no WAN connection, so is really just a switch with WiFi.

So, I'm starting to get security conscious, and wondering exactly what data on the network is getting out on the WiFi.
Does everything going through the router with the WiFi go out on the radio, or is only data being sent to/from connected WiFi devices available over the air?

Thanks for your help

FW

A:What data goes out on Wi-Fi?

Without any devices connected, the only thing "going out" is a base signal (ie the rf channel) and the SSID.

When a connection is made, the data traversing the WiFi is dependent upon what specific services are being used by the connected device; eg for a device with a browser, that would include the HTTP request and the subsequent reply.

For security, we activate one of the encryption protocols so that someone nearby with RF tools may see the signals but not be able to 'read' them - - just like SSL protects a browser session.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-data-goes-out-on-wi-fi.190636/
Relevancy 65.79%

First post and here is the story I have an old broken XP laptop A friend loaned me his IDE SATA to USB cable so I could get some files off the hard drive I proceeded from computer another one Unable data to get to to connect and download what I wanted o my Acer windows computer I put everything into a folder I can open that folder and read the Docs and Unable to get data from one computer to another look at the pictures no problem I copied the info to an external HDD I tried to download it to my wife s laptop but it is not there I tried to load the same info on to a Cruzer Flash drive and transfer it the same way The folder is empty is what I get when I click on the flash drive letter If I put it back into my computer I can read it If I click properties of the drive it shows the space being used I also tried to put the info onto a laptop at work same thing If I add an unrelated file onto the flash drive it works normally These files are possessed Help I guess you can t edit the title nbsp

A:Unable to get data from one computer to another

It could be because you could have "hide hidden files/folders" checked. Just a guess, good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-get-data-from-one-computer-to-another.190609/
Relevancy 43.86%

I have two Western Digital Tb HD making data Problem copy connection to adhoc HD s which I use for archiving and are carbon copies of Problem making adhoc HD connection to copy data each other and my third installed OS HD They are both external to my computer in fact one came as part of a WD My Book Previously I had my Asus P Q Deluxe fitted and I could just plug the two HD s into the PSU with a spare power cable and connect them to the mobo with a couple of Sata cables and copy any data from the main installed HD or replicate data between them No problem However due to RAM issues I have swapped the mobo out for my Asus P W DH Deluxe I just assumed I could go ahead with my adhoc method of plug and play HD connectivity but after shutting down my desktop wiring in just one archive HD and powering up the computer went a Problem making adhoc HD connection to copy data bit funny All the icons had shifted over to my TV display next to my desktop while my monitor s desktop pic got squashed vertically with vertical letterbox lines left and right pretty much as though I had been messing with the AMD Problem making adhoc HD connection to copy data Catalyst Control Centre Any ideas why plugging in an HD or two into the spare Sata EZ Raid sockets would cause this Why didn t it behave like P Q e g plug amp play style or as if I had simply plugged in the HD via the USB One thing I forgot to check was if the HD showed up in My Computer while the icons and what not were on the TV screen Tom nbsp

A:Problem making adhoc HD connection to copy data

Nevermind. I plugged the two archive HD's into the mobo today and all is fine and copying perfectly.

Tom.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-making-adhoc-hd-connection-to-copy-data.190199/
Relevancy 24.51%

Purchased a Epson WF-3540 printer for home use. Cannot get my computer to detect the printer on wireless network during software setup. Here is what I have:

1. Computer detects printer with usb cable connected and prints perfectly.
2. Printer detects wireless network and has 3 green bars.
3. Printer passed all its internal network connection checks and everything seems OK on the network status printout.

Installed software on my laptop and it too could not detect the printer on wireless network.

So I'm able to set the printer on my wireless network but can't the computer to detect or recognize it. Any suggestions?

A:Wireless setup

Make sure you connect with ONE or the OTHER but never both.
I suspect you would rather have the wireless connection, so go to devices & printers and delete the USB connected device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-setup.187949/
Relevancy 62.78%

My computer running Windows Ultimate -bit can no longer access my Western Digital Caviar quot Black quot TB hard drive that s connected but I suspect my data to still be in there so I wonder what data recorvery tools people have used and recommend This is one of the additional drives to my operating system C drive It has been formatted as NTFS and been working fine for several months until with recommendations Data format, from drive please lost recovery software a week ago Now it appears as the E drive on Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please My Computer as originally configured but the volume label is now blank I used to have that named as quot Media quot When I double-click on it to Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please enter the drive I get the Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please error message quot E is not accessible The parameter is incorrect quot In Computer Management -- gt Storage -- gt Disk Management the drive appears but it s File System is now indicated as RAW rather than NTFS I have tried using Active Partition Recovery and that successfully lists my drive with the original label name quot Media quot and as NTFS and also lists the folders located at the root of the drive which is why I suspect my data to still be in there and recoverable However when I use this tool to do a full scan of my disk it freezes after scanning MB There are tools out there with varying reliability so whch ones do people here recommend another tool I trired I forget its name was scanning my disk but prediced days to go over the entire TB so that s out of the question I have been told to use a tool that can recover files onto a separate disk rather then try to repair the original disk and risk losing more of the original data Any advice would be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Data recovery from drive with lost format, software recommendations please

Oh crap. Something like this happened recently to me when I had backed up some data to an USB thumb drive. It worked fine for awhile, then some weeks later, my PC just couldn't read it anymore (kept saying "disk in drive needs to be reformatted/etc"...and the properties for the drive also showed it as RAW format instead of FAT32 like it would have been usually).

I think the issue is drive corruption, which seems to be fairly common with external devices like USB drives, but odd in the case of an internal drive. The remedy for me was to try to access it from a different system, which was easy since being a USB stick I could try it elsewhere easily. If you can use another system to access the drive, preferably a Linux/Ubuntu based one; it is likely your best bet to recoup the data before its lost permanently. An external HDD kit would be ideal, and they are quite cheap also.

Hope this helps!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-recovery-from-drive-with-lost-format-software-recommendations-please.187901/
Relevancy 20.64%

I have two SanDisk flash drives (8 & 32 GB) and a 32 GB SanDisk Micro SD card and, as of yesterday, the folder icons have changed to shortcut icons that refer to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe F/c "start %cd%\sony.exe && %windir%\explorer %cd%\Extras". 'Extras' is just one of the folders on my 8GB flash drive. My files are still on all of my devices, but I cannot access them. After seeing the C prompt statement, I figured I am way out of my league. What do I need to do to restore my folder icons and directly access my files again?

My thanks in advance for your help.

T Smith

A:Folder icons changed to shortcuts

The files have been corrupted, so I don't think they will be recoverable. Always use SD flash drives for temporary storage, and back up important files also on a DVD or on a second standard hard drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/folder-icons-changed-to-shortcuts.187162/
Relevancy 26.23%

windows 7 is taking up a load of space on my ssd 60 gb and its close to full now even with all 3rd party software on a different drive, I was thinking of deleting language packs and possibly amd drivers which come stock, any tips or advice on how I would go about doing this. I have already uninstalled windows media center and internet explorer as I dont use them anyways

A:Save space on SSD

Honestly, I would say get a bigger drive. 60GB isn't really enough for windows and core programs. You can uninstall all you want. Eventually you will run into the same problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/save-space-on-ssd.181792/
Relevancy 46.01%

Okay A data? Can I my recover few months ago I had a major shut down on my previous Laptop it turned to mush it slowly got worse Can I recover my data? and worse and the monitor went blue screened about times an hour and was just overused in fairness I got it second hand and it was already years old but they had it fixed up before giving it to me new pieces inside the computer extra ram and settings etc etc Anyway I ve given up on getting it fixed at this point in time I Can I recover my data? do have a couple things on there saved to the Desktop and other Folders such as Pictures n Such and other things I needed for work I managed to remake most of it and then silly me only had them on a USB I d been using about a month and it stopped working plug it into the computer and Nada the Charger Port is even gone and I can t get it turned on for a minute if I move the laptop even an inch the screen shows sections of rectangles all along it in funky colors until it just comes up black dark black as if the computer s off So here s my question finally is there a way for me to get my files from that computer and hook it up to my new one as like a storage device so I can get my stuff off of it and hopefully not any viruses lt lt quot Oh and as a side question Is there any way to get my files off my USB that just stopped working as I lost about of my work Again I don t need it urgently or anything it would just be nice to have it all back nbsp

A:Can I recover my data?

If a USB stick stops working, it's pretty much bye-bye. There are of course some things you can do, but I'm not going to bother explaining them as I don't believe it will help you.

As for your laptop hard drive: the question is, is it SATA? This is the power/data connectors on the harddrive.

It could be as simple as pulling out the HDD, and plugging it into another desktop computer. Or, into a USB HDD dock.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-recover-my-data.186663/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hi I have a Coolermaster setup the suggestions Fan 922 for HAF HAF case and my computer specs are as follows Asrock N C-S mobo AMD Athlon II X Arctic Cooling Freezer pro GB x GB Corsair Vengeance DDR RAM PowerColor HD GB GPU Coolermaster GX w PSU Running Win Ultimate I also have x HDD s in the case soon to be x HDD s and an SSD Fan setup suggestions for the HAF 922 for the OS when I get time to install it Anyway that s the spec The case had two stock fans- front mm x mm and rear mm x mm The rear case fan wasn t very quiet however so I went ahead and purchased a Sharkoon silent eagle mm This isn t actually as silent as its name suggests but it does seem to create better airflow and it has reduced noise levels slightly What I d like help with is finding an ideal fan setup for my case which will keep it as quiet as possible but also keep it cool I use the computer for gaming using resource-hungry programs like the Adobe suite I know there s going to need to be a compromise and I m fine with that but I think I d prefer it to be more geared towards the silent side rather than performance My questions are Do I need a side or top fan If so what sizes do I need and should they blow air in to the case or suck it out Should the rear fan be sucking air into the case or blowing it out Can I replace the fan on the Arctic Cooling Freezer to a Sharkoon because the freezer fan is the noisiest of the lot What is the actual size of the front case fan I d like to replace this as this isn t very quiet either I m open to any suggestions as I am clueless when it comes to building computers I just know how to use them Thanks Tom nbsp

A:Fan setup suggestions for the HAF 922

Lol, lovely username Tom.

I don't think you're going to get the case as quiet as I know you'd like, but as I've said before, maybe your best option is a fan controller, so you can turn down the noise when your working and then increase the fans for when your gaming to provide additional cooling performance.

If a controller isn't an option, I'd probably pip for Noctua NF-S12B FLX Ultra Quiet 120mm fans (one in top, one in side and one in the rear -- all as exhaust) as 60CFM @ 18dB is about the best you'll get for "silent" fans. Not cheap though, but will last years and years.

Combined with the intake fan at the front of the case and the other three all running as exhaust will cause the case to run negative air pressure, which is exactly how I ran my HAF 912+ -- The downside is the case will get dusty inside faster, but it will suck out heat much faster and run the computer cooler in my experience.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fan-setup-suggestions-for-the-haf-922.186550/
Relevancy 25.37%

Hey guys my first time on this forum I heard this is the best when it come to tech support well I got this big trouble that just happend to me my recent PC died on me with a bad mobo save hard and contents want to I my upgrade drive's I have I want to upgrade and save my hard drive's contents been searching all over the net for a similar board and its impossible to find it my spec was as follows MSI board with G -ICH chipsets core quad processor gb hyper X rams DDR all the boards with same chipsets are DDR so meaning I have to buy new RAMS with these boards I wanted to step up to the newer processors and DDR but the thing is I dont have back up of my HDD and EVERYTHING on it is VERY important and I dont want to format anything my question was is there a way of keeping everything but still upgrade to a newer system guys sorry for my bad english not my native language and I hope you guys understand what im trying to say and get some help from the pros Thanks nbsp

A:I want to upgrade and save my hard drive's contents

Well if you built a new system you'd need a new hard drive (or Linux CD) to boot from and you can get the data from your old hard drive that way.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-want-to-upgrade-and-save-my-hard-drives-contents.185870/
Relevancy 17.2%

I have been doing research on purchasing 4-bay+ external RAID enclosure for myself. I have done research on software vs. hardware raids for this system, but one question still eludes me; so I am going to ask it here directly.

If I buy software RAID enclosure I will have to use some included software to set-up my raid. So, if I take my enclosure to another PC and plug it in (let's say eSATA) I will not be able to read the data, correct? If I get true hardware raid, the raid set up will be on the build in controller so I will be able to take the enclosure from computer to computer, right?

And since TS has new poll feature lets try it out...

A:Hardware vs. software RAID on 4-bay+ RAID enclosure

Regardless of whether you use software or hardware RAID, the enclosure will work whatever you plug it into. The only thing that might not work is connecting an individual disk (used as part of the array) into a device. It all depends on whether the device in question can read the controller used for the RAID set up.

For example, I ran with RAID 1 for two 2TB hard drives in my PC, but I can connect one of them to the same device as a non-RAID disk -- which I successfully did when the RAID broke down for an unexplained reason.

However, it is unlikely to work in a computer, and you should approach it as not working at all in anything but the RAID enclosure. It's also worth pointing out that splitting RAID disks in such a way could corrupt the data. Given that pretty much every decent RAID enclosure worth its salt will include gigabit ethernet at the size you're looking for, availability shouldn't be an issue across your LAN.

Hardware-based RAID arrays are also more reliable in operation, and have the extra benefit of being recoverable in a controller failure by replacing it with the same version as before. Software RAID's are less reliable, slower performing and in the event of a controller failure can be difficult to bring back online.

Basically, when it comes to RAID arrays, don't skimp on cost. The better the quality/controllers the more reliable and better performing it will be.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hardware-vs-software-raid-on-4-bay-raid-enclosure.185358/
Relevancy 45.58%

I have a Crucial 128GB SSD as my OS/Program drive, and a 750GB WD Black drive which contains all my music/movies/photos etc. My issue is that it goes offline or into like a stand-by mode after a certain period of time. So lets say I go to open itunes, it will take 8-10 seconds for it to access the drive and load up the program with my music. It's definitely going into some stand-by type mode, because I can hear when it goes into it, and when it comes out of it when I open a program or file that happens to be on the HDD. So I wanted to know if there is a way to disable that so my access is instant. Any info appreciated, thank you.

A:Data drive question

Could it be the "Turn off hard disk after" setting in the Power Options?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/data-drive-question.185262/
Relevancy 17.2%

Hi All I am having a weird issue with my Cisco router From the router I am able to ping and reach out to the internet but from the client I am able to reach out to the internet but unable to ping I am not sure where is the issue but when I traceroute to it my packets are dropped at my routers interface All my pings from the client time out I checked the Access list to make sure ICMP is not blocked Following is my running conf ip audit notify log ip audit po max-events ip ssh break-string ipv unicast-routing no ftp-server write-enable no scripting tcl init no scripting tcl encdir no voice hpi capture buffer no voice hpi capture destination interface Loopback description abc ip address interface FastEthernet description Connection to officeswitch ip address duplex full speed ipv rip abc enable no ipv mfib fast interface FastEthernet description ISP ip address ip access-group ISP -IN in ip access-group ISP -OUT out ip route-cache flow duplex full speed auto interface Serial description ISP ip address ip access-group Verio-IN in ip access-group Verio-OUT out ip route-cache flow serial restart-delay interface Serial no unable ping Can from router ping from client to but machines ip address shutdown serial restart-delay interface Serial no ip address shutdown serial restart-delay interface Serial no ip address shutdown serial restart-delay router ospf log-adjacency-changes network area default-information originate router bgp no synchronization bgp Can ping from router but unable to ping from client machines log-neighbor-changes network mask aggregate-address summary-only no auto-summary ip classless ip flow-export source Loopback ip flow-export version ip flow-aggregation cache protocol-port enabled ip flow-aggregation cache prefix enabled no ip http server no ip http secure-server ip as-path access-list permit ip as-path access-list deny ip as-path access-list permit ip as-path access-list permit ip as-path access-list permit ip as-path access-list permit ip as-path access-list permit ip as-path access-list permit ip access-list standard Access permit deny any log ip access-list extended ISP -IN permit tcp host any eq www log permit icmp any any log deny ip any log deny tcp any any eq ftp log deny tcp any any eq smtp log deny tcp any any eq log deny ip any log permit ip any any ip access-list extended ISP -OUT permit icmp any any log permit ip any any ip access-list extended ISP -IN permit icmp any any log deny ip any log deny tcp any any eq ftp log deny tcp any any eq smtp log deny tcp any any eq deny ip any log permit ip any any ip access-list extended ISP -OUT permit ip any any permit icmp any any logging trap debugging logging source-interface Loopback snmp-server community apricot RO snmp-server trap-source Loopback snmp-server location S Ellsworth Ave Suite snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication linkdown linkup coldstart warmstart snmp-server enable traps tty snmp-server enable traps config snmp-server enable traps envmon fan shutdown supply temperature snmp-server enable traps bgp redistribute static route-map ISP PATH permit match as-path route-map ISP PATH permit match as-path set as-path prepend route-map SETPATH permit match as-path set as-path prepend I will appreciate any input to help me solve this problem nbsp

A:Can ping from router but unable to ping from client machines

I am able to reach out to the internet but unable to ping Click to expand...

ping is not required to have connectivity - - it is only a test & traceroute tool.

From the client, get a command prompt (or in Linux a Terminal) use nslookup google.com
If it returns the IP address of google, then you can ignore the ping problem

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-ping-from-router-but-unable-to-ping-from-client-machines.185071/
Relevancy 44.29%

I have two Seagate 7200 hard drives than are no longer recognized by the desktop or by my laptop via a usb/EDI/SATA adapter. These were my backup drives and have all my photos, itunes, and doc files. Rather than speed $1,000 to have the files extracted by a recovery firm I wondered if its possible to remove the storage media from one drive and install it in a new drive box. Say buy a $60 internal drive open it up and remove the disks, take the disks out of the non-working drive and install it in the new internal drive. Is that even possible? Would the circuitry on the new drive even recognize the replacement disks? Would the drives need to be the same GB? Inquiring minds want to know!

A:Can I rebuild a hard drive to recover data

I've heard of people buying the exact same drive (needs to be exact so the PCB is the same) and then swapping those out. I've never heard of people removing the platters and putting in a new drive - I think that would be highly risky if not impossible. Try to find a working drive with the same PCB on ebay, then swap the boards.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-rebuild-a-hard-drive-to-recover-data.184927/
Relevancy 24.51%

Hey Guys,

I recently got a new laptop with two drives, my 120GB SSD which I boot from, and a 750GB HDD.
Right now I am trying to figure out how to keep crap that I don't want off my SSD as I would like to actually be able to install a few programs on it. I have tried going into the registry and changing "ProgramFilesDir", "ProgramFilesDir (x86)", ProgramW6432Dir", "CommonFilesDir", "CommonFilesDir (x86)", and "CommonW6432Dir" to my HDD with limited success - I cant remember if I rebooted before I tested it out, but I believe I did.

At anyrate, if you have and tips/suggestions for managing my files with multiple drives I would love to hear them!

Thanks,

Matt

A:Multi-drive setup

The single best thing you can do is map the "home" folders over to the mechanical disk. A SSD with 120GB is more than enough for the OS and pretty much all applications, as I currently use a 64GB SSD to do the same thing.

What you want to do is click start, then go to your "home" folder, and you'll see this:

All of your folders can be mapped to another disk, stopping files from building up on your SSD. To change the location of the folder, select a folder, then click the right mouse button, and choose properties.

Click the location tab, and then click move, and select the new location (create the folder on your mechanical disk with the same name e.g. my example is "Desktop," and I have it located on my 2TB mechanical disk.

Here is the folder I've created on my larger disk:

Select the folder, and press "select folder", then click apply, and "yes" when asked if you'd like to move the files in the existing folder to the new location. Repeat for all of your "home" folders.

In future all files will build up in the "home" folders on your mechanical disk, not your SSD.

I have several Adobe CS6 titles, as well as Office 2013, and around 50 other applications all installed on my SSD along with Windows 7 Pro, and I've still got 14.4GB free, so you should have considerably more free space on yours.

Installing applications on the SSD means they can use the increased performance it offers. However, there is little point installing games on the SSD, as the difference it makes is minimal, as the only time it "feels" faster is when loading maps or between turns. Games also use considerably more space than most applications do, so its not a very cost-effective way of utilising the SSD's limited storage.

You can install applications to another disk by changing the install location during setup. I'd advise you either create a separate partition for them if you intend to do so, but also keep to the same format (e.g. create a Program Files and Program Files X86 folders, and install them as required inside there.

As you'll see from the "my computer" image above, I have my games on a separate partition, and data on another (both make up a 1TB disk) which I use as a second location should I need to install storage heavy applications.

It is not recommended to make registry changes or to manually drag and drop "Program File" folders onto the mechanical disk as it can cause all manner of problems. If you want to move them, I recommend you first uninstall the application, then re-install it in the new location.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/multi-drive-setup.184798/
Relevancy 24.51%

im trying to put together a pc from parts I already own, how ever I have problems with understanding compatbility with hardware. perhaps if someone has the time they might be able to help me?

I have an antec nsk4400 case what type of mother board can I use with this
also I have a pair of 1gig (2gigs total) ram that is PC3200 400MHz DDR Desktop DIMMs I would like to add another pair of 2gig PC3200 400MHz DDR Desktop DIMMs for a total of 6gigs so im assuming the mother board has to have 4 slots for ram and also support PC3200 400MHz DDR Desktop DIMMs
I was hoping to find a compatible setup using these components and also would like to add a processor with built in graphics how hard is this to accomplish? if it helps my main goal is to have a decent gaming pc that can run gw2 and league of legends with ease.

A:Barebone setup

also these are the system requirements for both games thanks for anyone who takes the time to help me out

LOL
Minimum System Requirements:
?2 GHz processor
?1 GB RAM (Windows Vista and 7 users will want 2 GB of RAM or more)
?2 GB available hard disk space
?Shader version 2.0 capable video card
?Support for DirectX v9.0c or better
?Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7. (Note: Mac OS and Linux are not currently supported.)
Recommended System Requirements
?3 GHz processor
?2 GB of RAM (Windows Vista and 7 users should use 4 GB of RAM or more.)
?6 GB available hard disk space
?GeForce 8800 or equivalent video card (Dedicated GPU with 512MB+ Video Memory(VRAM))
?Support for DirectX v9.0c or better.
?Windows XP with the latest service pack installed, Windows Vista with the latest service pack installed, or Windows 7 (As stated above: Mac OS and Linux are currently not supported.)
?The latest update to .NET Framework from Microsoft

GW2
Minimum System Requirements Announced
- Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or better
- Intel® Core? 2 Duo 2.0 GHz, Core i3, AMD Athlon? 64 X2 or better
- NVIDIA GeForce 7800, ATI Radeon X1800, Intel HD 3000 or better (257MB of video RAM and shader model 3.0 or better)
- 25 GB available HDD space
- Broadband Internet connection
- Keyboard and mouse

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/barebone-setup.184510/
Relevancy 20.21%

So about once every 30 minutes, my keyboard, disconnects, and reconnects. Like it's being unplugged, and re-plugged back in. It is not the keyboard, or the USB port I am using. I have tested it in several different USB slots, but the same problem happens. It is software related. And is bugging the living hell out of me. I have reformatted and the same exact problem happens. And my friend has the EXACT problem but with his mouse.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have googled the problem and searched, but nobody has a real solution.

Thanks!

A:Keyboard software issues?

Some relevant system specs-

-Running LEGIT version of Win7 64bit
-8gb ddr3 Corsair Vengeance 1600
-ASUS P8Z77-V LK Intel Z77 Chipset
-Intel Core i7 2600k
-1tb 6.0gb/s 7200rpm Western Digital HDD

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/keyboard-software-issues.183811/
Relevancy 20.21%

I?ve never had to set the BIOS password, but the kids are growing up and I need to lock access to my PC.

My Bios has two Password Options: Supervisor and User.

The Supervisor password was accepted, and before I attempt to change the BIOS settings, the Supervisor password is asked for.

Then I set the user password.

However, when I boot up the PC, I am not asked for any password and windows loads as usual.

What am I missing?

The BIOS is Award Software International, Inc. F4 HI 07/03/2007

A:Unable to set BIOS user password

Do you have the option mentioned below?

Setting a BIOS Password

Now you'll want to set your system to ask for that password every time it boots, so select the BIOS FEATURES SETUP option, to see a menu something like this:

Fairly obviously, it's the Password Check option we're interested in, so select it and change the setting to ALWAYS.

etc....Click to expand...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-set-bios-user-password.183774/
Relevancy 44.29%

I have Windows XP SP that would not boot to the desktop on a Normal boot The system has SATA HDD amp SATA DVD-RW partition HDD XP -- Windows lost data problem on Red SATA ports on the Motherboard amp Black SATA port on the mother board I apologize but sadly I do NOT remember if the DVD drive or one of the HDD was in the Black SATA port I m not REALLY sure I Windows XP HDD partition problem -- data lost understand the difference but The system would boot up almost to the desktop so I was able to boot up in Safe Mode Once I could get to the desktop I looked at the System log in Event Viewer amp it showed that the controller was reporting drive errors on Hard Drive NOT the boot drive It was happening so much that it was virtually filling the Event Viewer amp making it Windows XP HDD partition problem -- data lost hard to see anything else in there amp kept the system from being able to boot to the desktop It never made it to where it said Windows was loading my personal settings I have never seen a NON-boot drive keep an XP system from being able to boot up Once I made it to where I could see the Event Viewer messages I shut the system down amp disconnected the quot bad quot drive amp restarted the system It then booted up fine but when I looked at the event Viewer is STILL showed Hard Drive errors I thought that it might be a bad cable so I shut the system down again amp connected the SATA cable that was connect to Hard Drive amp moved exchanged it with the one on Hard Drive amp booted the system I looked in the Event Viewer amp it was STILL showing Hard Drive errors so I opened quot Disk Management quot amp it thought the hard drive that I took out was still in the system At this point it was actually in another room Disk Management showed hard drive errors so I right clicked on the drive that wasn t even IN the system amp chose quot Delete Partition quot amp that made the drive errors stop Remember THAT hard drive was NOT in the system at the time I rebooted the system amp looked in Drive Management amp it reported quot Drive Missing quot When I looked in Event Viewer it STILL had Hard Drive errors NOW I suspect that this is REALLY a power issue amp NOT a hard drive or controller problem My power supply has leads Has SATA type amp IDE type type power connector Has SATA type Connectors Has IDE type amp Floppy type power connector I shut the system down again put the quot bad quot drive in the system disconnected all of the SATA cables amp power cables Plugged the HDD in the Red SATA ports left the DVD uplugged moved the power cables Of course I figured that since there where SATA power connectors on one lead it would be OK to plug in hard drives Keep in mind that this system has been running this way for years with showing this problem although now that I think about it the boot drive has failed times BUT they were all Seagate GB drives amp I have had those fail in several other systems FAR more often than the Hitatchi or Samsung However the WD drives have failed just as often as the Seagate Since I now suspected that this was a power problem I decided to plug in only of the HDD in the SATA power lead amp plugged the remaining HDD in the SATA power lead that the DVD was using amp I left the DVD disconnected I booted the system NOW my question Problem The drive that I took out of the system thinking it was bad now has NO partition When I deleted the partition on the HDD even though it was NOT in the system at the time that partitions are gone I have not done anything else to the drive since I found this problem so does ANYONE have ANY idea what I might be able to do to bring the partitions amp my TB of data back In UNIX there are format commands commands that can bring back files because they re not REALLY gone the allocation table is just not looking in the right place or something I realize this was a L-O-N-G amp Boring story but I had to go through the whole thing to explain the problem amp hopefully get a solution Thank you ... Read more

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-hdd-partition-problem-data-lost.183526/
Relevancy 45.58%

Does anyone have an opinion on a free, good, and easy to use web site for storage and back up of all my home PC files online?

A:Online data storage?

http://mozy.com/
or
http://www.carbonite.com/en/

Carbonite is better in my opinion, especially for small business backup. Hope this helps, take care!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/online-data-storage.179378/
Relevancy 19.35%

hey can anyone help me out here?

I tried portforward.com's guide and editing the registry game data port, still cant host games

running windows vista 7

A:Unable to host games in StarCraft with Comcast modem on Linksys e1000

Make sure the game is not blocked by any firewall.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-host-games-in-starcraft-with-comcast-modem-on-linksys-e1000.181314/
Relevancy 19.78%

Hi Everyone

I have a laptop with Windows 7 installed, using USB 3G device connect though the Internet. The problem is I have 3 machines and a spare router that I want to share the Internet.

Can you please advise how to share the internet from a laptop through a router ?

A:Unable to share the Internet from a laptop through a router

Hello! Sadly, for all intents and purposes, it just doesn't work like that. I'm not saying it's impossible, because I have read how techies have made this happen - but it requires an insane amount of configuration, 3rd party software, a little programming, and a good grasp of linux. The router has to have the internet connection to share out to other computers. Go and get a wifi hotspot instead of a 3G USB device. The wifi hotspot, depending on the provider, should support up to 5+ connections. Another option is the see what ISPs are in your area, get service at your residence, then you could use the router. Hope this helps!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-share-the-internet-from-a-laptop-through-a-router.179668/