Windows Support Forum

Viewing network computers

Q: Viewing network computers

I have a network at the office that has 15 computers on it all running Windows 7. Everything has been working fine but I have something very strange happening right now.

I am putting a new computer online and when I go to the network window only 7 of the computers show up and unfortunately the file server isn't one of them so I can't establish a connection to the shared files. All the othe computers in the network are showing the same thing in the network window. Since they already had maps to the shared folder they are still able to access files through that mapping.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/380583-viewing-network-computers.html
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Viewing network computers

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 74.82%

I need some help. I was using a router for my network. I out grew my 4 port router so I connected a switch to the router and now I am unable to view my workgroup computers.
Here is the set up. Internet into router (wan port) then I have a single connection running from the router to the switch and then I have all of my computers plugged into the switch. No computers are hooked up to the router anymore. Why am I not able to see my workgroup computers? I am able to search for them and it will list their shared files but I cannot use My Network Places to view the shared documents. Please email me with any question or answers.

Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 73.96%

i recently networked my computers (home and work)using tcp/ip protocol. i tried to connect my home computer to work computer; i got connected - the little icon connection shows connected. my question is "how can i view my work computer files? so i can access them. thanks

A:viewing files on network computers

What OS are you using and did you set up as a PPTP? How far away are the computers? Same building or different city???

[This message has been edited by Doolies (edited 11-22-2000).]

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-files-on-network-computers.29452/
Relevancy 73.53%

is there a way of viewing which computers are connected to a wireless network at any one time?
without logging into router settings?

A:Viewing which computers are connected on my wireless network

A free program like Angry IP Scanner can give you a list of connected computers for a given block of IP addresses. It does not separate wired vs. wireless connections.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-which-computers-are-connected-on-my-wireless-network.621246/
Relevancy 58.05%

I was wondering if its possible if i can view what my daughter is doing on her computer in her room as we share the same wireless connection. She has a computer in her as do me and my husband. I am worried on some illegal things she is doing and she has numerous security checks on her computer to get into it. I was wondering if there was a way i could see what she is doing on her computer at the same time i am on mine. Thanks

Relevancy 57.19%

Hello, having a problem on my home network. I have 7 computers set up , all in same work group. I have some TV programs downloaded on one computer and would like to access and view them in another computer. I can see the files but cant open and view them , am I missing an important step? Could anyone walk me through how to do it? Thanks for anybodys help. Best wishes.

Relevancy 56.76%

I have a network with two XP Pro amchines and one Vista Bussiness machine. I have them on the same workgroup but the the Vista machine only sees it self and the router. Any ideas on how to get it to see the rest of the network?

A:Viewing Workgroup Computers in Vista

Are you sure you have them all on the same workgroup name? Vista default is WORKGROUP, XP default is MSHOME. Make sure all are the same, it should work.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/viewing-workgroup-computers-in-vista-188565.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi am having problem sharing files and veiwing my workgroup computers. pls help

A:sharing files and viewing workgroup computers

More info please.  The more info we have the easier it is to help.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/532658/sharing-files-and-viewing-workgroup-computers/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi, hoping someone can give me the easiest way to view files between PC's

I have one desktop PC running Win 7 with all my media connected via ethenet to my router

and one laptop running XP plugged into my TV in another room which i browse the net on via WiFi

(there is no phone line in the living room)

So, is it possible to remotely connect to media on the desktop PC using the laptop?

I want to access the files i have on the desktop and play them on the laptop in the living room

Ive heard of homegroup for win7 but the laptop has XP,

Hope someone can help!

thanks in advance

Relevancy 55.04%

Hey everyone I m suffering from a rather strange problem that I ve only just today come across I m trying to enable file sharing across my Desktop PC and my new Notebook Unable Workgroup responding. Description/ set Viewing Computers Computer not to As always I went through the usual routes going to Network Connections Advanced Network identification and so forth But my problem is this While all is fine on my new notebook the area where I d input my Desktop computer Description is greyed out The name is Unable to set Computer Description/ Viewing Workgroup Computers not responding. fine as is the Work Group In addition if I try to access My Network Places - gt Workgroup Computers it fails to respond My notebook also can t see my Desktop PC on Unable to set Computer Description/ Viewing Workgroup Computers not responding. there even though the network is enable and healthy as far as I m aware I m fairly sure this isn t a router problem but something OS specific And yes unfortunately I m Unable to set Computer Description/ Viewing Workgroup Computers not responding. on XP Home Not the best system for File Sharing activities Any help would be fantastic Many thanks nbsp

A:Unable to set Computer Description/ Viewing Workgroup Computers not responding.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unable-to-set-computer-description-viewing-workgroup-computers-not-responding.740737/
Relevancy 51.6%

As the topic says, I'm having an issue where a computer on a network cannot see the other computer on the network.  It is able to connect to the internet, and I double-checked based on earlier threads and the network discovery IS ON.  This computer
is able to create a Homegroup and the other computer on the network is able to see the shared folders when it joins the homegroup, but I cannot create a homegroup on the
other computer and have this computer see it to join it.  The other computer sees this computer in Windows Explorer under Network, but as far as the problem computer is concerned, it is the only computer on the network.
Despite this, when I open up the Network Map, it shows both computers, the router, and the modem.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6789f7fd-6dc6-4b5f-b997-32480bd340c0/windows-7-cannot-see-other-win7-computers-on-network-other-win7-computers-on-network-can-see-this?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 49.02%

Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network screen I have a home network with laptops and desktop The desktop I use as a quot file server quot in that all work done on the laptops is stored to the to Explorer Unable network computers Windows in see scree home Network desktop The desktop computer name is HAL One laptop is fine and sees the network The other just stopped seeing it rebooted the laptop rebooted HAL did a number of refreshes without any luck I opened EXCEL and found a worksheet that was listed that I knew was saved Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree on HAL Was able to open the file and when I tried the SAVE AS I could navigate through all of HAL just as normal Went to Windows Explorer and still no HAL listed as a COMPUTER on the NETWORK I have a internet connection so I know I am making it to the router at least And when I check NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER it shows an active home network Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree The laptop is running Windows Home Premium Service Pack Build Thanks in advance for any help George

A:Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree

Still working on the problem. Tried to do a system restore back to the point where everything was working. Still no HAL showing as a network computer; Excel now does not recognize the path that worked yesterday. But now I am able to create a shortcut that will take me to HAL on the network. Guess this is a good enough fix for right now. When I go to Windows Explorer, Network it still only shows the 2 laptops and not HAL......WHY????

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/229783-unable-see-home-network-computers-windows-explorer-network-scree.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I am about to return this brand new computer running Vista since it won t connect to my exiting computers on my wireless network It will however connect to the wireless netork to get out to the internet Here is what I have Brand new computer runnig Vista home premium Wireless netwrok external netgear ma network tomy connecting on but computers other not vista wireless network connection that can vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network see the internet I am using it now It can see a windows computer as well as my laptop running Windows Xp but when I try to connect to those computers it gives me an error message I googled this problem and disabled my vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network firewalls I created same user accounts on all with same passords I also tried same user accounts with no password neither works Any suggestion before I return this i relaly want to make Vista work since it at last looks different I like new interface - makes my life more interesting - I know VERY SAD Any suggestions nbsp

A:vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-connecting-tomy-wireless-network-but-not-other-computers-on-network.631622/
Relevancy 48.59%

I'm preparing to set up my XBox to my W/LAN using a spare Belkin F5D7230-4 as an access point connecting to the Linksys WRT54G. The set-up will be something like this:

Cable - Cable Modem - WRT54G - PC

Laptop with built-in Wireless----

Xbox - Belkin F5D----

Belkin have supplied me with instructions on setting up the router as an access point, and mentioned needing to set it to an IP in the Linksys' Range.

Now, the Linksys defaults to 192.168.1.1, so can I set the Belkin to 192.168.1.254, or any 192.168.1.X?

Also, how can I see all the devices connecting to the network on one machine? For example, would I use the PC to see and identify the network devices: Router, Laptop, Belkin, etc., or would I use the Linksys' interface?

Thanks for any help, guys.

A:Viewing Network Items

You can log into the Linksys, and look at the DHCP logs. It will show you all of the active DHCP Leases. It won't show up any static IPs. You can try something like "[email protected] Network Monitor". I googled it, and it looks like it will scan you LAN for nodes.

Jim

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-network-items.491493/
Relevancy 48.59%

When connected by way of wireless connection to online internet at times a notification from McAfee will pop up and alert me of a connection activity When I receive a notification that concerns a connection activity the notification message Begins with an I in circle Icon then states is on line so no IP address or Computer Name is given Then when I access the Network Map from that pop up I see several devices onor off line I can not know which device is the one that connected I only know that it is not me who has caused Hackers Viewing Map Network ID to the security notifcation How can that be How can I enable a reliable security if the program can not tell me which device or computer came on line and when I realize after speaking to a McAfee technician that they would investigate hackers etc for a one time fee etc but what's the story here I mean is that it I am about to do some process of elimination as I use an extension to connect the router and two other computer users are in the house but there names are titled into the connection Viewing Network Map to ID Hackers icons on the Network Map but there are still to or three connection that are only identifiable by the IP addresses and there is no other determining information such as the time it connected

A:Viewing Network Map to ID Hackers

I now have identified 5 of 7, with this Verizon Security Suite Multi Device Powered  by McAfee,
in the program Network Map, . . I marked the un-identified ones as Intruders, 

What happens now ?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/552087/viewing-network-map-to-id-hackers/
Relevancy 48.59%

When I click 'show characters' when viewing my network security key on my wifi connection, the security key is completely different to the one i originally added and is set on my router.

This isn't causing any problems, its set to auto connect and does so fine, and still does if I re type in the original key. I was just wondering why this is happening?

A:WEP network security key changes when viewing

wasn't set properly re run configuration to set your actual key if not anyone can connect

I found this the hard way I set key and password and to my suprise it was open connection for all

Had to go through it again and cut -off the freeloaders

After re configuring my router and code it took place and i can see the network under the name i made

If you dont correct it soon you will be open to anything

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/210110-wep-network-security-key-changes-when-viewing.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I have 4 computers on a network. One of these machine has weather instrumentation connected to it through a serial port. My question is, how can I monitor the live data on the other machines?

Thanks,
Steve

Relevancy 48.59%

I have 3 computers, 2 of the computers can see the other computes in both the network and home group, my computer that I created the homegroup on can see all, but cannot see all 2 computer only 2
I have checked setting and all are set the same, I have tried disabling both the anti-virus and firewall still can not see the computrer

A:network viewing problem

Try this and see if it works. How can I share any files on my network ?
Also, try this, run command prompt in admin mode,
sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/36953-network-viewing-problem.html
Relevancy 48.59%

We operate in a Windows 2003 Domain. We have over 200 workstations with twelve different locations. Each location is on a different subnet. (192.168.25.0, 192.168.10.0, etc.) EX. When I am using a server in our data farm, which is its own location and I am looking in My Network Places> Entire Network> It only shows the computers in that location. Same with all of my other locations, it only shows local computers. We have various models of netscreen firewalls. My question is, What are the specific ports that I need to enable between locations so that each office can see each other in the Entire Network. So When I am browsing our Data Farm in Nashville and I select Entire Network, I want to be able to see all of my computers in Florida offices and Alabama offices, and our other offices. Thanks for anyones help.

Relevancy 48.59%

I am using Windows XP OS service pack 2. I am also sharing a network with an iMac via a TRENDnet router and "Airport". When clicking on >Start>My network places, the window sometimes opens up and sometimes it does not; the hourglass does not appear and the cursor arrow just remains as is. I know the network places are there because I can connect.

Is there something in my setup which can be causing this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

herc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-my-network-places.687492/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi,

I have an iMac G5 and I want to be able to look at the same webpages (at the same time) as a person on a Windows PC in another room. Is this possible?

Relevancy 48.59%

I just switched computers, upgraded from XP to W7. I had "Linksys Easylink" on my only computer, but can't seem to find the disk. It brought up a diagram of network status, showing my Wii, WRT54G, Computer, & Phone adapter. Is there "somewhere" in W7 that brings up devices connected to the router? All I get is this:

A:Viewing Network devices

You can click on see full map to know the devices connected.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/96648-viewing-network-devices.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I guess I need to explain today my teacher was abusing his network administrator privileges by using some program that allowed him to see what I had on This Odd network viewing an is one: Anti my computer screen on his computer He also has the power to stop all of my input like my mouse and almost all of the keyboard shortcuts I know At first I was impressed by this but then I said to him I ll bet you I can beat it He laughed and said This is an Odd one: Anti network viewing have fun with that so here I am First I need to know what this program is called because I d like to get one for my home network and Second is there any software out there that can block him from doing this again I already know about unplugging the CAT network cable but that screws A LOT OF STUFF up because we run almost everything through the network Oh and don t worry about if I need Admin privileges or not we figured out how to do that years ago nbsp

A:This is an Odd one: Anti network viewing

Getting access to the TCP/network traffic is one thing but seeing the screen and
controlling/watching the mouse is another. Yes there are programs like this but
the better ones cooperate with the user, not fight or 'spy upon' him/her.

Techspot does not condon or support these activities while your teacher has the
need and authority to perform as he/she wishes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/this-is-an-odd-one-anti-network-viewing.89380/
Relevancy 48.59%

I am having problems viewing any computers on my workgroup. I'm in a work environment working off of a workgroup. No pc's are able to even ping my computer. When I go to network and sharing, the network discovery is set to on. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Any information would be helpful. My network has about 80 pcs on it ranging from windows 2000 to Vista. I am the only one who has windows 7.

Thanks so much!
ITGIRL

A:Problems viewing pcs on network

Does your company have an IT department? If so, have they reviewed any of the tutorials on how to configure Windows 7 to network with older operating systems?

How to make Windows 7 work with older Windows versions for networking and file sharing.

Sharing a printer on Windows 7 Vista XP network

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/39956-problems-viewing-pcs-network.html
Relevancy 48.59%

After starting my Windows laptop if I go to the Control Panel Network and Internet View Network Computers and Devices a device is listed that is not on my network It is listed as either a Ralink wireless client Model RT U or a full ariel Model KFARWI and if I right click on the device and view the properties the Model Name and MAC Address are shown I checked the Device Manager and it was not listed in the Device Manager Also my router did not show it as an attached device I have Win laptop a Win laptop an iphone android phone ipad WD NAS and HP wireless printer connected to a Netgear AC wireless router with MAC address filtering enabled When I log into the router I have never seen either device mentioned above listed on the router list of attached devices nor do any of the devices I have on my network have the MAC address listed for either device After a short period of time the device disappears I have set up my network as a private network My concerns are Are the devices a security issue and can they access my network How come my computer detects them The devices do not list either a work group or a network location so am I correct in assuming the devices are not connecting through my router Is there anything I can do to prevent it from being detected

A:Unknown Network Device in CP\View Network Computers, Dev.

Do you have a Kindle?  This (KFARWI) looks to be an Amazon Android device - of which the Kindle is the most common device (IMO).
Search Google for Amazon KFARWI

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/579758/unknown-network-device-in-cpview-network-computers-dev/
Relevancy 48.59%

I have created an ad hoc wireless network by the name quot Trial quot and created a network key as quot letstry quot Now I am trying to login to this network from other computer which is in the same room at ft distance This ad hoc network appears files in to network copying ad ad network computers connecting from hoc hoc and in the list of available networks When I connecting to ad hoc network and copying files from computers in ad hoc network try to connecting to ad hoc network and copying files from computers in ad hoc network login it asks for the network key I provided network key and then confirmed it now when I click connect instead of getting connected to first computer I am getting pop up window mwssage In the title bar of the pop window it says quot Wireless configuration quot In the message it reads quot The network password needs to be bits or bits depending on your network configuration This can be entered as or ascii characters or or hexadecimal characters quot Then I changed network key to quot letstry quot i e exactly ascii characters and now I am able to connect to the ad hboc wireless network of first computer Does it mean that network key has to bne exactly or ascii characters and nothing else than that If not then quot letstry quot network key has ascii characters between and ascii characters then why am I getting this kind of message But now I can not browse files of fisrt computer from second computer or vice versa When I am connnected to ad hoic network and open network and sharing center I see only one link quot My computer - gt internet quot which is broken Usually the link diagram is shown as quot My computer - gt Network - gt internet quot When I am connected to ad hoc network quot network quot part from the diagram is missing If there is quot network quot part in the diagram may be I can browse computers in the network and see other computer But since I can not see other computer this way how can I connect to other computer Whats the way to browse other connected computers in the ad hoc network How do I copy files from one computer to other When I click on computer I can not see the files or folders of other computer Please guide me how to copy files

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/connecting-to-ad-hoc-network-and-copying-files-from-computers-in-ad-hoc-network-479434.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello all I assume this is the right not Network In Places...or Viewing JPEG's place for this question I ve looked around and can t see any mention of this problem Basically I have a web site which I access using Network Places with Windows Viewing JPEG's In Network Places...or not XP SERVICE PACK On this pc just to muddy the water I can click on a jpeg in a folder in Network places and it opens in IE so I can see if it s what I want to use and I can copy the address etc It cannot be viewed as a thumbnail in Network places when given the chose of for instance thumbnails tiles icons etc Not a problem at this time However I have a friend with a similar set up and he cannot view jpegs while in Network places He gets whatever program he has set to view jpegs opening but with the message file cannot be viewed I have tried changing his default jpeg viewer to anything and everything he has on the pc with no success Network places does not give the user a choice to open with as in regular folder view so how can I get the jpegs to open while in network places I have spent days surfing the net and Viewing JPEG's In Network Places...or not microsoft sites trying to find out how to set a default IE view of jpegs in Network places and there is no answer that I can find anywhere If anyone on here can answer this question which has been bugging us for years now you will be able to sell the answer and retire there s a lot on the net with this same trouble IE does not appear to be the issue as I have had all versions since IE with the same problem I also had this problem on an older PC after initially finding I could open jpegs in network places and then for some reason one day it stopped doing it I am planning to get an answer before this pc does the same I am guessing if I were to remove all jpeg programs that can view pictures from the pc in questiion then Network places would revert to IE to open a jpeg But that s hardley practical and just a guess as I say I have posted questions on this site in the past and had great help to resolve unrelated issues and have told this friend I ll get the answer here for sure Thanks to all and anyone that can solve this enigma Fingers crossed in anticipation

A:Viewing JPEG's In Network Places...or not

Hi .

Well...I don't understand why a .jpeg or .jpg file...should be expected to open with IE, regardless of file location on a networked system.

I have a home network, I can view any file on my other system. If I open said file, the default program for opening it (assuming that my file settings are proper) will open it.

I don't believe that a graphics file of any sort...should have IE set as the default view/open choice. IE should be the choice for viewing .htm, etc. files...files which relate to Internet connection.

A graphics program of some kind should be the default program to view graphics images.

I guess that I don't understand what is going on with either system.

FWIW: I just connected to an .mpg file on my other system and double-clicked it. I was greeted with the "access denied" message indicating that I needed to designate a program to open said file. I selected WMP and the file opened, as it should have (WMP is my default program for viewing/opening .mpg files).

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/207720/viewing-jpegs-in-network-placesor-not/
Relevancy 48.16%

I am connected to a network domain. When I go to My network places>Entire Network>Microsoft Windows Network>Domain I can see all networked computers when I am wired in but when I connect wirelessly I cannot. I use a "Wireless access point" connected to my firewall router. I have tried disabling the wireless firewall and assigning a static IP. I am logged into the domain but the only way to can view the other computers on the network is to connect through a wired connection. I'm thinking it has to be a setting in my Wireless router but I cannot figure it out.

A:Viewing Microsoft windows network

Hi

when you connect via the wire, and via wireless is the ip address,subnet and default gateway in the same range ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/viewing-microsoft-windows-network.131090/
Relevancy 48.16%

HELP I am having trouble with two computers on my network Both computers are showing similar symptoms I am in a small office with computer stations and two of the computers can t see the shared folders printers on the network However I am able to ping all of the computers from each station using the IP address as well as the computer name All computers are running Windows XP all four computers are connected through a Linksys router all Windows and McAfee firewalls are turned off no other firewalls are present except on the router all computers can access the internet that is connecting through the router and all stations Problems Solved: The Network Viewing are in the same work group One of the weirder symptoms is that we are able to access files over the network if we launch them through the appropriate program but we are unable to navigate to the same file using Windows Explorer We are also able to search for a computer through the Windows search feature and all the shared folders printers are visible Also similar to being able to open a file through a program Solved: Problems Viewing The Network but not through Windows Explorer we are able to print to shared printers through a program but we can t find them through the Printers and Faxes in the Control Panel Because of this we are unable to add any new network printers All of this is very confusing because it seems that the two problematic computers started this at the same time and have the same symptoms The other two computers don t seem to have any trouble but they still can t see the shared folders printers on the two problematic computers I have made sure that all computers on the network have a different name that can be changed in the Control Panel gt System gt Computer Name I feel like I have tried so many different ideas I am just going to leave it at that Please let me know if you have any suggestions I am at my witt s end Thank you Wade nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

I m not sure if this is the forum for it but here goes I am still connections Viewing Wireless Network pretty dense Viewing Wireless Network connections with networking and only know enough to make things work for the moment but I am learning My question is when i set up a wireless router network and you can take any old laptop with wireless builtin and find the network and logon before having the proper security measures enabled how can I - from the main PC - tell who is connected via wireless to my network I have been in the process of setting up security measures and for jollys wanted Viewing Wireless Network connections to see if I could see my test laptop when it was connected and couldn t see it I can see the hardwired PCs but they are already part of the established work group I was trying to simulate seeing an outside PC that gained wireless access to the network I am cornfused but then I am much of the time - Castleheart nbsp

A:Viewing Wireless Network connections

I have a menu in my router called 'Attacjed devices'. What router do you have?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/viewing-wireless-network-connections.535901/
Relevancy 48.16%

I recently decided it would be cool to be able to see a list of all the devices that are connected to my wireless internet Problem is I cannot for the life of me figure out how I've read that most routers modems have a way of showing you this but a my devices Viewing wifi network my on modem is really old and I don't know if it supports this and b I think the modem has a way to attach a special router to it but I have a completely separate router connected to it So while wifi works fine all the Viewing devices on my wifi network wireless setting on the modem are greyed out because it doesn't think I have any routers attached to it So maybe there's a way to view it under those settings and I can't because it's all greyed out My modem is an Actiontec M and I'm not really sure what the router is If someone can tell me how to see devices AND THEIR NAMES not just IP MAC addresses from that router that'd be great But what I'm really looking for is a program I can run on my computer to show me all the devices I've tried net view in cmd but that only gives me computers on the network and not devices like iPhones or iPod Touches I know McAfee Security Center has a Network View or something that does a pretty good job of at least showing all the IP addresses but a I'm trying out some different free AV Firewalls since McAfee is too resource-heavy and that's not at my disposal at the moment b it only shows IP address not device names very important to me and c I really want a standalone program to do this with Any help would be great Programs for Vista or are what I need not XP I say that because I did find one that might potentially work called SuperScan but it only works on XP Thanks

A:Viewing devices on my wifi network

Edit: I found Wireless Network Watcher - Show who is connected to your wireless network and it's almost what I'm looking for. Simple, small, no hassle. But it still doesn't show the device names of things like my iPod.

I'm fairly certain that it should be possible to see its name because a while back, my school sent out warnings to everyone that was connecting to their wifi saying that we had to stop because almost all the students were using it and it couldn't handle all that traffic. (A little while later they got smart and put a password on it) But I asked one of the people in charge how they knew who was on it, and they told me that most of the devices (including my iPod) had a device name that somehow identified the owner (In my case my iPod's device name was my full name so that was pretty obvious). So I'm sure there's got to be a way that I can see that info on my home network as well.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/293524-viewing-devices-my-wifi-network.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I ran through the Network Wizard again, and put in the address of my desktop computer and voila!, the icon came back. I'm not a tech wizard by any means, and didn't know what the address of my desktop computer looked like, but I found some hints online and tried them. Thanks for the help guys.

A:Resolved: Network Places - Can't see one of the computers on My Network

No need to post a new thread to tell us this, just respond in the original thread. Also, you can mark the thread solved using the thread tools at the top of the page.

Here's your original thread: http://forums.techguy.org/networking/667123-network-places-can-t-see.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/resolved-network-places-cant-see-one-of-the-computers-on-my-network.667264/
Relevancy 47.3%

Preface I am running a laptop which I upgraded from windows to windows I also have a desktop that is still running windows One of the hard drives on my desktop is shared and I often-enough will copy files from my laptop to my desktop The laptop connects wirelessly and the desktop is wired Today however I could not get my laptop to see my desktop on the network It is connected to in Other network showing; computers not shows old instead. network the network I am receiving internet just fine When I first click the network tab in the navigation pane it does not list any section for any computers Other computers in network not showing; shows old network instead. So I tell it to refresh and after a moment it now displays three computers all of which were ones I would see on the network from a house I no longer live in Now as it just so happens one of those computers is my desktop as I had it back then but when I try to access it it just gives me the spinning wheel for a while and then just says it can't access it If I click quot diagnose quot it doesn't find anything that's wrong This is pretty much the same result I get form trying to connect to one of the computers from my old house I haven't changed any settings and I was indeed able to connect to that computer at this house just a week or so ago Not sure what the problem is but I haven't tried much other than resetting the computer I'm open to suggestions

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/62461-other-computers-network-not-showing-shows-old-network-instead.html
Relevancy 47.3%

When I'm networked to my laptop and I go to view, copy or open a file on the laptop from my desktop pc, it freezes for about 20 second before opening. It only does this every 3 or 4 attempts and not every time but when It happens it will lock up and i get the egg timer as if it's waiting for something to happen.

However this ony happens one way. When I view or open files on my desktop pc from the laptop I don't get this problem. Thing is I don't know what's causing it or which machine is at fault but I suspect it's the desktop pc because I'm also getting long delays when opening Internet Explorer window and the Network Icon in the system tray is showing no activity for about 20 seconds.

Can anyone shed a bit of light on this for me?

A:PC Freezes when viewing/copying network files

Fix for slow network browsing, Stop Browsing Scheduled Tasks.
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type regedit in the text box and click the OK button.

Once the Registry Editor has loaded, expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key.
Next, expand Software and Microsoft, then Windows and expand that as well.

You will want to be editing the main system files, so expand CurrentVersion, then Explorer key.

Next, you will want to modify the remote computer settings, so expand the RemoteComputer key and then expand the NameSpace key to show all of the features that are enabled when you browse to a remote computer.

In the NameSpace folder you will find two entries. One is "{2227A280-3AEA-1069-A2DE-08002B30309D}" which tells Explorer to show printers shared on the remote machine. The other, "{D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}," tells Explorer to show remote scheduled tasks. This is the one that you should delete. This will prevent the system from browsing the scheduled tasks on the remote computer which seems to take forever for some strange reason.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-freezes-when-viewing-copying-network-files.692150/
Relevancy 47.3%

Specs are Bell Sympatico DSL Modem DI- Router Router goes to two switches SMC -port amp D-Link Gigabit -port SMC to computers plus another small switch with computers on it -port goes to three other switches throughout the complex less than foot runs In total about - computers behind the router including a file server that handles the DHCP work Computers are running web browsers I E email Outlook and Outlook Express Logmein software Hamachi software on computer only up to clients coming into it for anti-virus updates control a few MSN messengers for I T admins on offsite communications a couple streaming radio links FTP links minimum of but up to could be running at one time resets when Network DI-604 website Business - viewing Now I know you are going to say you need a bigger router but until the below problem started the D-Link was handling everything quite well It started about - months ago and we have been playing with it ever since trying different things but we keep coming up with the same results The would just reset sometimes a couple Business Network - DI-604 resets when viewing website of times per minute period depending upon what is going on sometimes every other day At first we thought ISP so after a couple of months fighting with them we switch to Bell and it was still happening ended up cheaper too for more bandwidth Found out one day that I could almost trigger it at times by going to weathernetwork com or a couple of other sites BestBuy Canadiantire Home Depot etc and doing some quick searchs through their products The router would reset as we would lose all links to the internet and then it would start working again Depending upon the website we could leave it for a couple of hours and all would be fine but it may reset the router when visited the next time The router is on the most recent version of software and it has been unplugged along with the DSL modem and plugged back in starting with the modem and then the router then plugged the rest of the network back in once they are both up and running numerous times over the months DSL light stays lit when all of the problems are happening so I would think there is nothing wrong with the ISP side of things I have tried various levels of MTU s on it as well including but still have problems One of the admins has a Netgear router FVS G that I set up and tried but it had the same problem it would reset as well at times Actually had it working for close to days once but then all hell broke loose Switched back to the and had close to a week and a half of problem free running Then it started resetting again Sometimes it is only once per day other times it is quite often during the day Logs don t show nothing other then some dropped TCP packets from WAN My biggest question is what would reset the router by just visiting a website like weathernetwork com or one of the other sites and doing a search on it I am looking at a bigger router just not sure how big I want to go at this point Been reviewing the Linksys Cisco RV and RV along with the Cisco ASA and so far I would like to keep the control in house as none of the admins have Cisco training or knowledge on their programming hence looking at the RV and the We could set them up ourselves and keep the control ours incase of problems we can get it figured out without costing us more money We try to keep things simple and control things ourselves Any help on this would be greatly appreciated as we are at the end of our knowledge base and well Google is not coming up with any good answers either Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 47.3%

I was at a buddies house with my laptop, connected to his wireless internet connection and connected to his file sharing network. But whenever we tried to view other computer's shared files on the network the whole network would lose internet connection for a few moments and then would come back once we stopped viewing other computer's files.

I have no idea what would cause this or how to fix it. If anyone has any idea's it would be greatly appreciated because I will be moving here at the end of this month and would like to get this problem out of the way now.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lose-internet-connection-when-viewing-network.886235/
Relevancy 47.3%

I m running Windows Home Premium on the three Preventing folders others viewing from shared network on my machines I have at home All three Preventing others on network from viewing my shared folders are connected to the same network I would like to share files between two of the machines so I created a homegroup and added only these two machines For the folders I would like to share between the two I changed the folder s sharing permission from Everyone to Homegroup What I have noticed is the third machine that is not part of this homegroup it is owned by a student who is temporarily renting a room in our house is still able to view the other machines from within windows explorer and even double click on them to get a listing of folders that are being shared Granted when they try to open any of these folders they get a message saying they do not have the required permission Ideally I would like to have the homegroup machines only visible in explorer to users who are part of the homegroup Likewise any user not in the homegroup would not be able to see the other machines in explorer Is this setup possible

A:Preventing others on network from viewing my shared folders

It sounds to me like you do not want this student to be a part of your regular network at all.

Some routers "like mine" have a guest zone for a wireless connection that is outside your normal network. That would prevent them from seeing those folders. The set up and options for routers is different so it's difficult to give exact directions for this.

For a wired connection you may be able to set up a static IP address outside the normal range of your regular network for them to connect too.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/222626-preventing-others-network-viewing-my-shared-folders.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I am haveing trouble viewing files that I share among my computer network, I was shareing a couple of files on it the network.When I went to My Network Places last night to access one of them all the files appeared then disappeared off of my other computer.
All of my computers have Windows XP sp2

Computer 1
Sony Viao desktop

Computer 2
HP desktop

Computer 3
Gateway laptop

Relevancy 46.87%

Whenever I select my wireless adapter right click and choose quot Properties quot the properties window freezes and results Viewing freezing. properties network adapter a in along with Viewing a network adapter properties results in freezing. it the explorer Viewing a network adapter properties results in freezing. window Some time ago I had disabled a bunch of services some of which were related to networking I had done so because they were causing intensive CPU use problems while they were being loaded I realize now I should of set them to manual and I have set as many as I can remember to manual but the problem still exist Is there something else I could try to undo this problem and aside from this everything else works fine with no internet or network problems nbsp nbsp Quote Originally Posted by vpwin Name --Description ----Status ------Startup Type --------Log On As ActiveX Installer AxInstSV --Provides User Account Control validation for the installation of ActiveX controls from the Internet and enables management of ActiveX control installation based on Group Policy settings This service is started on demand and if disabled the installation of ActiveX controls will behave according to default browser settings ------Manual --------Local System Adaptive Brightness --Monitors ambient light sensors to detect changes in ambient light and adjust the display brightness If this service is stopped or disabled the display brightness will not adapt to lighting conditions ------Manual --------Local Service Adobe LM Service --AdobeLM Service ------Manual --------Local System Akamai NetSession Interface --Provides networking protocol and file transfer technologies If the service is stopped those applications that depend on the service may fail to transfer files or otherwise function properly ----Started ------Automatic --------Local System Apple Mobile Device --Provides the interface to Apple mobile devices ----Started ------Automatic --------Local System Application Experience --Processes application compatibility cache requests for applications as they are launched ----Started ------Manual --------Local System Application Identity --Determines and verifies the identity of an application Disabling this service will prevent AppLocker from being enforced ------Manual --------Local Service Application Information --Facilitates the running of interactive applications with additional administrative privileges If this service is stopped users will be unable to launch applications with the additional administrative privileges they may require to perform desired user tasks ----Started ------Manual --------Local System Application Layer Gateway Service --Provides support for rd party protocol plug-ins for Internet Connection Sharing ----Started ------Manual --------Local Service avast Antivirus --Manages and implements avast antivirus services for this computer This includes the resident protection the virus chest and the scheduler ----Started ------Automatic --------Local System Background Intelligent Transfer Service --Transfers files in the background using idle network bandwidth If the service is disabled then any applications that depend on BITS such as Windows Update or MSN Explorer will be unable to automatically download programs and other information ----Started ------Manual --------Local System Base Filtering Engine --The Base Filtering Engine BFE is a service that manages firewall and Internet Protocol security IPsec policies and implements user mode filtering Stopping or disabling the BFE service will significantly reduce the security of the system It will also result in unpredictable behavior in IPsec management and firewall applications ----Started ------Automatic --------Local Service BitLocker Drive Encryption Service --BDESVC hosts the BitLocker Drive Encryption service BitLocker Drive Encryption provides secure startup for the operating system as well as full volume encryption for OS fixed or removable volumes This service... Read more

A:Viewing a network adapter properties results in freezing.

Can you share with us your list of services, and if they are enabled/manual/disabled or whatever. We may notice one more that might need to be enabled.

Once that's ruled out we can look at other causes? Any suggestions any1?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/91559-viewing-network-adapter-properties-results-freezing.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Hi,
This is a strange one. I have an Acer netbook, Win7 Starter, which will access the internet fine, and which will view share folders on the LAN fine. But if I open up a share folder and view its contents in explorer, the machine will freeze within ten seconds.

Using ethernet, there is no problem.

I've updated drivers. Acer only had version 14, but the Intel site had version 16. This is an Intel N 100 wifi card.

I also swapped cards from another same model Acer, with no change.

The card's settings seem fine. File sharing is turned on on both machines. I'm not even framing the why's of this problem very well at this point.

A:Viewing network share over wifi freezes laptop

Hi there,

How big is the file that you are trying to transfer using Wi-Fi connection? Have you tried a smaller file?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/312365-viewing-network-share-over-wifi-freezes-laptop.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I am setting up a ubuntu server on an old box.
I need to clear my login credentials frequently to log into the same share with a different username/password.
After I have opened a network share i'll open a console and use the net view command to clear out my session.
When I open up the network view and attempt to re-open the previous network share, windows 7 will blue screen and reboot before I can see what it says. The error states something about hardware.
I have looked for the memory.dmp file but I don't think it is being written.

This sounds like a unique or new problem. Does anybody have an idea of what is going on?

A:blue screen crash when viewing network folders

Have you checked for updated drivers for your network hardware?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/blue-screen-crash-when-viewing-network-folders.909242/
Relevancy 46.44%

I have some network folders with and files It's very slow opening those folders just to see the files anywhere contents Win7 of large viewing slow network folders very from - sec I've read lots of google articles and even several from this forum Many articles are several years old so I'm not sure how relevent I've customized the folders in Win for general items and checked quot also apply this template to subfolders quot I went to power options and chose Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders advanced and changed the setting quot turn off HD after min to min hours I've disabled sleep mode I have indexing off for all my HD's because this is an audio recording computer and I Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders try to stop as many Windows background tasks from operating in the background If turning indexing back on will solve this problem then I'd try it As soon as I boot up into Win and try to access those network folders I get this long delay yet if I try to access local win folders they open up right away and have files So my problem is with the network I have XP network computers wired and the latest updated Win Is there a solution

A:Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders

Age old problem but with many possible solutions, many of those solutions are mentioned in the following link.

It could also be that updating the routers firmware or using a different router could fix the problem as is described in the link but there are quite a few other possible causes and solutions in the link.

Extremely slow file transfers and network access...

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/320530-win7-very-slow-viewing-contents-large-network-folders.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi,

I need to find out which process on my system is using a ton of bandwidth, does anyone know of a free utility that will provide this information? I couldn't find anything using Google.

TIA,

D.

Relevancy 46.44%

I have some network folders with and files It's slow network of Win7 viewing very contents large folders very slow opening those folders just to see the files anywhere from - sec I've read lots of google articles and even several from this forum Many articles are several years old so I'm not sure how relevent I've customized the folders in Win for general items and checked quot also apply this template to subfolders quot I went to power options and chose advanced and changed the Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders setting quot turn off HD after min to min hours I've disabled sleep mode I have indexing off for all my HD's because this is an audio recording computer and I try to stop as many Windows background tasks from operating in the background If turning indexing back on will solve this problem then I'd try it As soon as I boot up into Windows and try to access those network folders I get this long delay yet if I try to access local Windows Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders folders they open up right away and have files So my problem is with Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders the network I have XP network computers wired and the latest updated Win Is there a solution

A:Win7 very slow viewing contents of large network folders

How fast is the network?

Practically speaking I think your solution is to break the network folders into subfolders with fewer files each. Or get faster network hardware.

Edit: depending on file type another way to speed up would be to disable thumbnails and use Details View.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/320632-win7-very-slow-viewing-contents-large-network-folders.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have two Windows 7 computers and one XP machine on a wireless network. Two machines can see the others but one running Windows 7 can't see the other two. While trying to find out why, I noticed that whenever trying to view the network status on the problem machine, it knocks out the internet for everything. The computer that is causing trouble is wired directly to the router. Help?

A:Solved: Internet connection is dropped when viewing network status.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-internet-connection-is-dropped-when-viewing-network-status.939546/
Relevancy 46.44%

Just joined the forum so I have installed on Viewing a remotely. Ent. network remote printers Win7 this is the correct subforum for my question Here goes Back during the XP days in a domain setting you could browse to a remote computer and view what printers were installed on that machine local printers via usb etc AND printers who's queue reside on a print server I cannot do that in a Windows environment Win clients Win R print server Turned off the firewall on the clients and server Put Viewing installed network printers on a remote Win7 Ent. remotely. test machines and print server in an OU that doesn't get any Group Policy Turned on Network Discovery Turned on file print sharing Turned on public folder sharing there's no antivirus rd party firewall etc in place On my test machine I installed a printer printserver testprinter On my work machine I browsed to my test machine by opening Windows Explorer testmachine Click on 'View remote printer' I can see the default local printers Fax Microsoft XPS Doc Writer etc but I do NOT see the printer I installed who's queue is on the print server I've been googling and testing this all day Is there something I'm missing here Cheers

A:Viewing installed network printers on a remote Win7 Ent. remotely.

What does net view \\testmachine from a Command Prompt show you?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/199963-viewing-installed-network-printers-remote-win7-ent-remotely.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Was working about a week ago, now "my network places" is blank. I can ping all other netwrk computers by ip and name. I ran network setup, no change. Work group is the same. Tried turning off Windows firewall, no change. Also using MSE. Nothing has changed as far as I know on this computer.

Thanks for the help.

Relevancy 45.58%

Running Windows XP Home Service Pack It seems that what I m trying to do should be simple Yet I ve literally been trying to do it for over a year I stumbled upon this forum so maybe you can make my dreams come true and actually give me a shared network angels singing Keep refusing Home Network computers Windows show Places" network to XP "My in mind I once Windows XP Home "My Network Places" refusing to show network computers had a shared network and everything was fine Then one day it mysteriously stopped and hasn t run since even after hundreds literally of attempts to set it up again For the moment all I want to do is have my computer we ll call this computer quot Sony Laptop quot appear in its own quot My Network Places quot window - not concerned with Windows XP Home "My Network Places" refusing to show network computers the other networked computer at the moment I have tried quot Set up a home or small office network quot and quot set up a wireless network for a home or small office quot dozens of times chosen every single combination possible completed them restarted but quot Sony Laptop quot still never appears in quot My Network Places quot I cannot for the life of me understand it If that s all the info you need please respond If you want more observations read below FRY S DESKTOP Windows XP Home "My Network Places" refusing to show network computers is connected to BELKIN ROUTER via ethernet SONY LAPTOP is connected to BELKIN ROUTER via wireless -- ethernet ----- FRY S DESKTOP BELKIN ROUTER --wireless -------SONY LAPTOP I can receive wireless internet with the SONY LAPTOP through the BELKIN ROUTER I can ping FRY S DESKTOP from SONY LAPTOP I cannot ping SONY LAPTOP from FRY S DESKTOP I tried pinging SONY LAPTOP through both the wireless IP address and a connected ethernet cable Local Area Connection IP address connected through the BELKIN ROUTER Neither worked Some things I ve encountered When I explore the network gt My Network Places gt Entire Network gt Microsoft Windows Network I get a funny message quot Unable to Browse the Network - The Network is not present or not started - For more information click Help quot Of course in classic Windows style when I click quot Help quot the window hangs and never goes anywhere kind of ironic - don t you think It s called quot Windows quot and can t function within a window I was told by some others that I should check the quot Services quot and more specifically Workstation Server TCP IP Netbios helper Computer Browser Now of those four two of them had not been started Workstation and Computer Browser I tried starting these double click them and up will pop a window that allows you to start but each of them came up with an error message Here are those two error messages Computer Browser quot Could not start the Computer Browser service on Local computer Error The dependency service or group failed to start quot Workstation quot Could not start the Workstation Service on Local Computer Error The specified module could not be found quot If anybody knows anything about these errors and how to fix them let mek now So that s it That s my experience so far As you can see I m neck deep in it and nothing would make me happier than finally figuring it out after months Chris nbsp

A:Windows XP Home "My Network Places" refusing to show network computers

You need to look at the dependency list for each service. In the case of Computer Browser, it's Workstation and Server.

Since Workstation is failing, that's probably the place to start.

Do you have WKSSVC.DLL in C:\Windows\system32? That's the workstation service, and it appears to be the missing module. I'd first try copying that from the installation disk, if it's missing, and then register it too by:

Start, Run, regsvr32 wkssvc.dll

If you can't find the DLL, you can run sfc /scannow to restore missing files.

A shortcut may be to download the file from DLL Dump and register it as described above.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-home-my-network-places-refusing-to-show-network-computers.536504/
Relevancy 45.58%

I am running a peer-to-peer LAN Vanish from Wizard" Network Install Network Using Places Printer Computers My "HP of Win XP Pro SP boxes Over of them in a particular workgroup All static IP addresses All machines have File and Print Sharing set up and Windows Firewall turned off I have used quot HP Install Network Printer Wizard quot to install a couple of HP s Computers Using "HP Install Network Printer Wizard" Vanish from My Network Places and Computers Using "HP Install Network Printer Wizard" Vanish from My Network Places a HP d printer each of which have JetDirect N cards installed But my problem isn t with the installation and use of the printers In fact this software works fine and everyone prints happily Here s the catch all machines using HP Install Network Printer Wizard mysteriously disappear from My Network Places no matter what machine I use to look at My Network Places after minutes If I reboot one of them it s back for about minutes then gone Now they re pingable and in fact you can find them using the Search button But they re not visible and to my staff this is a major obstacle I have boxes without the HP wizard and they re visible on My Network Places Using a couple different boxes as guinea pigs I can affirm that deleting the printers uninstalling HP Install Network Printer Wizard and eliminating references to it in the registry does not reverse the situation and fix the problem Ugh I can also affirm that disabling our Kaspersky Anti-Virus does not solve the quot vanishing quot problem A call to HP Support and subsequent discussion with their reps yielded no help although they did get a good chuckle out of it nbsp

A:Computers Using "HP Install Network Printer Wizard" Vanish from My Network Places

OK there is a catch here you know how the printers after 20 min of no using them is going in stand by mode ... for some reason the network card is going in standby mode for the printer also if you try to print over the network you gonna see that the printer is going back visible.
Solution: There was a option in Network Monitor Devices for don't going on that "standby mode" check and see if this will help you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computers-using-hp-install-network-printer-wizard-vanish-from-my-network-places.596562/
Relevancy 44.72%

I am running windows 8.1 and have other computers on the network running windows 7.
I haven't quite got my network settings correct, but am not sure what is going on.
If I am connected to the homegroup, none of the other computers is displayed.
If I disconnect from the homegroup, they are all displayed but I can't access them.

Im sure it is something simple but can't work it out

Thanks
Rob

A:can't see other computers in network

Which PC has created the homegroup? Once the home group is created, have the other PC joined that homegroup with the password created by the PC that created the homegroup? Have you checked the settings for each PC to make sure that each is set to "turn on network discovery". Is the "turn on password portected sharing" been enabled/disabled. I find it easier to have all PC's have that set to disable while in the homegroup. Basically, the homegroup is a small network with in your home network strictly for file sharing.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/38762-cant-see-other-computers-network.html
Relevancy 44.72%

ok... I have 2 computers and a printer I want to get it so that both computers can print stuff to the printer, right now my set up is, the internet goes directly to the router then the router splits it between the 2 computers then the printer is hooked up to the one computer, but the two computers can not see eachother but they both get the internet How can i make them be able to print?

A:Trying To Network My Computers

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trying-to-network-my-computers.432640/
Relevancy 44.72%

I network computers won't Two have computers both running XP Pro SP Two computers won't network that used to be networked I use one as my main machine and the other as a test backup system I switched machines some time back when I had a power supply failure in my main machine I preferred the speed of my backup machine so I kept Two computers won't network it as my main computer for daily use When I replaced the PSU the former main computer was put back in service The only other changes that occurred was a computer name change my backup which used to be the main I didn t think that would make any difference in networking but I guess it did I tried to do a backup shortly after and couldn t I checked the file sharing properties both are set to share all files and folders and to allow file changes I also ran the Network Wizard but they still won t network This is the error message I get computername is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions The network path was not found Click to expand Here is the results of IPConfig Code Microsoft Windows XP Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings Grump gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name oxywhisper Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Peer-Peer IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List digitalpath net Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix digitalpath net Description Broadcom NetLink TM Gigabit Ethernet Physical Address - F-EA-EB- D- Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Friday October AM Lease Expires Saturday October AM C Documents and Settings Grump gt ----------------------------------------- Microsoft Windows XP Version C Copyright - Microsoft Corp C Documents and Settings Jim gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name TheFloorPro Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Peer-Peer IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List digitalpath net Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix digitalpath net Description Intel R PRO CT Network Connection Physical Address - C- -BD-F - Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Friday October AM Lease Expires Saturday October AM C Documents and Settings Jim gt Pinged both IP addresses with no loss of packets Pinged name of remote and could not find host If I have to remove the networking for both of these and start over fine Please step me through any procedures to get me networked again Thank you for your help Grump nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

Alright so I've searched and searched for solutions but I just Using Computers a in Network can't find any Hopefully you guys can understand what I want to do NOTE I refuse to use TeamViewer Remote Desktop Connection LogMeIn or any other kind of remote connection software Well I've had this in my mind for a year or so now more or less over the past few weeks because my room has been occupied by my mother and I prefer not to Using Computers in a Network move my laptop from it's dock it's docked Using Computers in a Network with the charger usb hub mouse keyboard etc What I want to do is basically have Network Accounts I guess you could call it I want to be able to logon to my account and see my Desktop Documents etc when I login But I want to be able to do this from any computer within my household Now I guess I would have issues when traveling We all have gb hard drives so I still want them to be used besides the fact I don't want to go out and purchase a home server from Staples or something I don't want to have to purchase an online server If I have to buy a domain I'm fine with that Let me know of ANY solutions you have

A:Using Computers in a Network

Start with this article.

Start here to set up a home network in Windows 7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEI2dQPODrQ

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/213011-using-computers-network.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi Network 2 computers guys I was wondering if anyone can help me to network my computers so I can share files between them I am just trying to create a Network 2 computers simple network with a etheret cable The desktop is a novatech barebones that I have had for a long time Network 2 computers and the other is a new Acer laptop They are both running the same version of Windows ultimte edition On the desktop 'network and sharing' page I see this When I d-click on the 'unidentified network' icon it 'sees' the laptop but when i d-click on that it says quot Laptop is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the admiistraotr of this server to find out if you have access permissions The Server service is not started quot On the laptops 'network and sharing' page i see Network 2 computers this and when I d-click on the multiple networks icon at the top it just shows the laptop and a laptop media area No desktop If I d-click on the park bench icon it tells me to name the network and choose an icon but then wont let me make any changes Can anybody tell me what I need to do to get these to computers to communicate properly I'm quite happy to start again from scratch creating a new network as obviously what I've done so far is obviously not correct as its not working properly Please feel free to ask any questions as I'll happily give any information you need in order to help me get this sorted I am a noob to networking though so the more straight-forward and simple you can make this the better for me Step-by-step would be perfect but anything that helps me with this will be very much appreciated Thanks

A:Network 2 computers

Also, when I click "see full network map" I get this...

I can drop down the bar at the top and select the direct connection between the two computers but then it tells me...

"Windows cannot create the network map because the network type is set to public. In order to view the network map, you must set the networks location type to Home or Work in Network and Sharing center."

Going back to the network and sharing center I cannot find anything clickable that will make these changes. This is on the laptop. When doing the same thing on the desktop I get the same map and when I drop the tab down and select the 'unidentified network' I get...

"Windows cannot create the network map. Responses from the other devices on the network are delayed or there is an incompatible router on the network."

hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/213602-network-2-computers.html
Relevancy 44.72%

i'm having the same problem now. i was able to access my share folders from my laptop when i first bought it. n now all the sudden i can't view my desktop anymore.

i tried to do all those settings i did before n it doesn't seems to work no more.
help please.

A:Can't see all computers on network

my laptop is running on Vista
n my desktop is running on XP

with XP, i only have ZoneAlarm installed. after shutting it down, i still cannot see my laptop
no firewall program are installed in Vista.

how do i resolve this??
cheers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-see-all-computers-on-network.814391/
Relevancy 44.72%

I just got my desktop and laptop hooked up to my wireless Linksys router. How do I see one computer from the other? One has XP and one has Vista. I don't know if that makes a hoot but I thought I'd add it. One more thing. How do I set up the printer to be used by both systems?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/seeing-other-computers-on-the-network.552736/
Relevancy 44.72%

I m trying to get my Server computer and my Desktop computer to see eachother I have done it before through the Network Setup Wizard but it doesn t seem to be working now I recently switched my Server from USB over to Ethernet My Desktop and My Server are both connected into the Same Router Linksys WRT GS through ethernet but for some reason they aren t able to see one two same the network over to see another computers Getting eachother I want to get it back to where Getting two computers to see one another over the same network it was where they could see eachother so I can transfer my music over Getting two computers to see one another over the same network to my server and save the room on my desktop I have my Wire set into Bridge mode so the Linksys acts as the primary device The Ethernet cord Getting two computers to see one another over the same network from the Wire runs directly into the Internet Ethernet port of the Linksis and the other computer Server Desktop are connected into the back of the router into the other ethernet ports I see the following when I typed in IPCONFIG ALL on both computers SERVER Windows IP Configuration Host Name SERVER Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel -Based PCI Ethernet Adapter er lt Generic gt Physical Address - - - - A- B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Saturday July PM Lease Expires Sunday July PM ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ DESKTOP Windows IP Configuration Host Name DESKTOP Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel lt r gt PRO VE Network Connection er lt Generic gt Physical Address - -D -DC- - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Saturday July PM Lease Expires Sunday July PM If anyone can help I would really appreciate it nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

hi to everyone this is my first post here so i would like to start by saying quot thank you quot to all who can help me we actually have computers laptops and desktops but i just want the to network together laptop which is HP running on computers 3 network can't vista home premium and the desktops running both on windows xp pro i ll label them as PC laptop pc can't network 3 computers desktop pc desktop pc and pc can see each other but pc is not in the network they are on the same workgroup checked that for the nth time but still pc won t show up i ve also tried pinging it on pc and all went well packets sent packets received what seems to the problem i ve read on one of the posts here that i should try to make the network and file sharing as private not public but im not well acquainted with vista yet thanks to all nbsp

A:can't network 3 computers

Here are some basic debugging steps to take first, you need to establish basic connectivity first and deal with any firewall issues.
Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt.

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands:

PING each remote computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. Open a command prompt as described above and type.

PING <ip address>
or
PING <computer name>

Where:
<ip address> - is the x.x.x.x IP address
<computer name> - is the computer name

A failure to PING is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Any failure to PING needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Note: You can obtain the IP address and computer name of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG /ALL. This should work for any Windows version. The IPCONFIG /ALL display will provide a wealth of useful information for debugging your network connection.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:

COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Connections
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Wireless Zero Configuration (XP wireless configurations)
WLAN AutoConfig (Vista wireless configurations)
Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All of these services should be started, and their startup type should be automatic.

If a service is not running, open it's properties and check the dependencies. Check each of the dependencies and see which one is preventing the service from running. Checking the event log is also a good idea here, there may be clues to what is failing.
All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Places (Network and Sharing Center in Vista), make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login. NOTE: Vista's default is to require a password on the account to enable file/print sharing.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing. You can open a command prompt as described above and type the following command: nbtstat -n. This will display the status of NetBIOS or indicate it's not configured.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-network-3-computers.836222/
Relevancy 44.72%

None of the other computers in my house can see me (4 others), but I can see them and transfer files to their computers. I used to have Norton Systemworks 2005, but I uninstalled that so I doubt it's firewalling me. I d/l'd AVG free and ZoneAlarm free versions and added the network IP range to allow it (which allowed me to see them, but not the opposite). Anyone know what it could be? Windows firewall is off.

Oh and we all have XP (Though I have Pro and I think everyone else has Home)

Relevancy 44.72%

I recently came to own a new computer, I've been using it for a while and set up Remote Desktop connection on it with a friends help. Now i'm going back to my old machine to try and set it up as a media server. Its not going to have a monitor connected to it so i need some way to connect and see whats going on.

Both machines are Win 7, although my old one is running 32bit.

I have a linksys e1200 router and both are wired connections. If you need more info please ask and i'll do my best to answer it.

I need help connecting it to the network so i can remote into it. I've set it up as best i could but it still wont allow me to connect. I think i'm missing something but whatever it is alludes me

A:How do i set up two computers on the same network to RDC

Have you tried Network Sharing..
Look at Doc's suggestions #2 and #3
Setting up a Home Network

Hope this is what you are looking for!
THW

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/206986-how-do-i-set-up-two-computers-same-network-rdc.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Good morning.
I've been setting up a new computer in my daughter's room. How do I network hers with mine?
Thanks!
Amy Jo

A:How do I network two computers?

There are a few different things you can try. Are you wanting to just hook them both up to each other, or allow them both to access the internet?

If you are just wanting to hook them up together you can simply use a crossover cable to hook them up directly to the Ethernet ports.

But if you want to allow them both to access the internet you need to get a router. There are plenty of articles in TechSpot describing them thoroughly. Have a look around.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-network-two-computers.18188/
Relevancy 44.72%

As the title states, I'm trying to start a homegroup. I start one up, and being that both of my computers have the same name, they don't see each other.

I've got that part figured out, I just need to rename the laptop!

Woo, that's all fine and dandy, except when I renamed my laptop from Ken-PC (the name shared by both laptop and desktop) to KenLaptop and rebooted, there was a whole slew of problems caused by the namechange. Very long story somewhat shortened, it looked like I was booting up win 95.

Multiple error screens, very retro GUI, all fixed by renaming my laptop Ken-PC again.

I'm just trying to be able to share my files between the two computers! HEEEELP!
I thank you for reading, and at the very least, being able to vent if nobody can help.

A:Trying to network. Both computers Have same name.

I'm for sure no network expert but this great site has many Tutorials that can help you such as this one.
Map Network Drive
Hope this helps. Get back to us and let us know.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/212055-trying-network-both-computers-have-same-name.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi,

I'm sure this is a simple problem, but I have a direct line from the school network into my flat. If I plug in my laptop to the school network through an ethernet cable, I can see all the other network computers and shared drives under 'Network' in explorer. When I connect the network to my own wireless router so I can have wifi in the flat, I can't see any of them under Network. Is there a way to make them visible so I can access shared drives and folders when using the wifi connection?
I am using windows 7 professional, and my wireless router is a TP-Link WR840N.
Thanks in advance,

Robin

A:seeing other computers on the network

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/...th-computers-not-appearing-on-the-network-map

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/seeing-other-computers-on-the-network.1011160/
Relevancy 44.72%

My HOME network setup is seen in the attached jpg.
I have a windows xp sp3 with wired internet.
I have 3 wifi laptops all able to connect to the internet.
1 laptop is windows 8
the other two are windows 7
When i open up my network and sharing center all i see is the one
latop as seen in the other attached photo.
How do i get all computers on one
wifi network so i can see all of them and share files between them?

A:All computers on the same network, each cant see others

theyre all set to home network and all have the same workgroup name
PLEASE HELP ME GET TO LOOK LIKE IN THE ATTACHED PHOTO

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/22511-all-computers-same-network-each-cant-see-others.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Good day all,

PC1 (Windows XP), PC2 (Windows XP),
PC3 (Windows 7), PC4 (Windows 7)
- Connected all to a wireless router;
- Same Workgroup
- All C drives are shared and with full permissions;

When I click on Network, I can't see any of those PCs!!

Please advise.

Thank you

A:Can't see computers on network

Dear all,

Just solved the problem;
I had to make the network 'trusted' in my internet security application (Kaspersky).

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/288179-cant-see-computers-network.html
Relevancy 44.72%

running win7 in new hp pc
xp pro in the old pc
have a motorla sb5100
cable modem ethernet
can I connect the old pc to the new? how?

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi there, I have had soo many problems with my network because the signal from my router could not reach to my computer with the external adapter installed. I Have tried linksys router with linksys adapter and still no go. I bought a new Belkin router which is a wireless pre-n router with 3 antennas instead of the two antennas that are on most routers. I am still using my kinksys adapters . The computer that I was having the problem with is 150 feet from the router in another building. My network is now working great, No dropped signal's and no problems on any computer. In the house where my main computer and router are setup I have a lot of electrical appliance's near by, Microwave/2.4 meg phone/Lights etc, and every thing works great.Check out the Belkin.

A:Network with three computers.

I have seen the opposite.. The Linksys connects where the belkin doesn't..

Different brand routers may show different performances due to the enviroment they are used in, the firmware of the router, the technology used, the sub channel of the wireless connection, and other various reasons.

Therefore, I see no reason to bad mouth linksys, or to set a preference here.. It's like a ATI vs Nvidia debate, it really depends on what works for you.

I'm glad you found something that works for you particular circumstances.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-with-three-computers.370317/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi there and thank you for your help Two PC s Nr XP Prof SP with Kaspersky Internet Security Nr XP Prof SP I have just formatted this machine No Anti-Virus installed yet I have installed Resource Kit Tools for XP on this machine and applied the following settings net user guest active one Network another don't see computers yes ntrights r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest Network computers don't see one another I have NOT installed RK Tools on PC yet but have run the network wizard on this machine My network s name is quot Kantoor quot Afrikaans language for Office For some reason these machines don t see one another It picks up the network but the moment I click on the network it bombs out saying it can not connect to the network as it is not available What is the simplest way of getting my network up and running I need this to work as my printer is installed on PC I have done this many times before and now I can not get it working Do I need to run the quot Network setup Wizard quot Please help me to get this network working I am on the brink of formatting PC as well should I need to Regards Deon nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-computers-dont-see-one-another.865866/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have two Win 7 computers on my wired network and 6 Win XP computers on this same network. This main computer was Win 7 and just upgraded to Win 10 in November. For a year this network has worked just fine, plug and play basically when I set it up, now after Christmas shutdown (2 weeks), I can't see any of the computers on this network. The only thing I can see is the media drive on a computer called 6Head2. All I really do is transfer files from this main computer out to those 8 other computers.

What is wrong with my computer? Network discover, file sharing all checked, network location was changed from Public to Private today by me. But it did work last year, even with the network location being public.

A:Can't see other computers on my network

And I can connect to these computers using Teamviewer.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/36215-cant-see-other-computers-my-network.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello it was working fine until suddenly it changed.
we are on a domain network of 20 PC and server we can't see each others but we can access by writing the IP
any help?
I am connected to the network, Internet is working fine but only this problem.

A:Can't see computers network please help

Hi there

Has the server blocked the SMB ports (445 etc). I assume you CAN connect to network drives on the server.

I think a lot of people are getting away from using NETBIOS or things like that to resolve host names.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/58191-cant-see-computers-network-please-help.html
Relevancy 44.72%

How can I send a file from one computer to the other using Linksys WRT54G router? They are both hard wired to router.

A:Network 2 computers

Make sure both machines has File Sharing enabled.

Then in Network Places / Network Neighbourhood, you should see the other computer. Open that up and then drag the files there for copying.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-2-computers.589556/
Relevancy 44.72%

I just started my new computer HP h network? computers Why all not on - I also Why all computers not on network? have my old computer HP s f as well Why all computers not on network? as a laptop all running Win and IE and wireless printer I have a wireless network which was set-up by my ISP using UBEE router Everything works fine on my network I'm able access the internet with all computers as well as my printer I'm trying to set-up a homegroup and have searched far and wide on how to's as well as video tutorials from MS I have followed the instructions to a quot T quot I created a homegroup with my new computer and allowed access to all items documents photos videos etc I also have enabled all items under Advanced Sharing options on both computers Here's my problem On my old computer when I go to Computer and Homegroup my new computer is there and I can access the Libararies but nothing else On my new computer when I go to Computer Homegroup it tells me there are no other computers see two atchs Can anyone tell me what I might have done wrong I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable in these things but I'm at a loss on this one as I've been trying for two days to figure it out Hopefully someone can quot bruise my ego quot and tell me what I need to do Thanks for any responses Jack

A:Why all computers not on network?

Hi there,

Have you verified that Network Discovery is turned on?
Enable or disable network discovery

I'd check for a 3rd party firewall software installed if you have any. If you are using built-in Windows firewall make sure that Files/printer sharing is allowed.

It won't hurt to verify your current setup, please see this Tutorial.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/276950-why-all-computers-not-network.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I ll try to be as descriptive as possible Certain computers that I have simply cannot be seen on the network I ve got computers on a port switch that s plugged into a Wire Gateway All are on certain network computers see the Cannot running XP Pro of the computers cannot be seen on the network although they can see the quot working quot computers and browse the internet Here are the things you might ask me to do that I ve done I ve tried with and without Cannot see certain computers on the network NetBEUI installed I ve completely turned off Windows Firewall and do not have any other firewalls installed These pcs all have a fresh xp install They are all on the same Cannot see certain computers on the network workgroup A folder on each is shared I ve tried with Simple File Sharing on and off I can ping all the computers by both ip and name The computer browsing service is started I ve even resorted to using the networking disk to make SURE all the settings were the same on all computers I m baffled Any ideas PLEASE nbsp

A:Cannot see certain computers on the network

>All are running XP Pro

SP1 or SP2?

> I've completely turned off Windows Firewall and do not have any other firewalls installed.

this is not as effective as one would assume. ALL firewalls must enable
Ports 136,445 to allow the systems to be seen.

in addition, LAN address x.255 will be used for the broadcasting.

Using COMODO FW and having another system on the LAN, I see access on
ports 139 & 445 when attempting to Map Network Drive->Browse->Workgroup

There is a security hack that inhibits Share enumerations -- have you run any
lockdown scripts?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-see-certain-computers-on-the-network.97924/
Relevancy 44.72%

I am running a laptop and a desktop, both running XP home, dell dimm 8400 and laptop inspiron 5100. Using Wireless router Linksys SRX200. I have had this problem before, went back to my notes but this time it did not fix the situation. both computer can access the Internet. Not sure where to start looking, I have checked everything that I know. Have taken down firewalls, no luck. Somehow I get the suspicion that through one of the microsoft fixes or updates, something change. Looking forward to someones reply and help. Gary

Relevancy 44.72%

I am using Windows 7 HP, with a broadband connection, on an Intel i3 quad core, and a DLIINK router.

I was browsing the internet, when all of a sudden it stopped (browser=Chrome) loading pages, and a pop up appeared saying there was an error, and 2 computers on my network were sharing the same IP address.

I don't have 2 pc's, just the one, and don't understand how this could happen. I did have a virus last week - Trojan.ADH.2 but do not know if that is related to this problem.

I closed my browser, and opened a cmd line and typed ipconfig /renew, then restarted my computer, and since then I have not had any problems I am aware of.

Does this mean I have a virus or mal/spy ware on my PC?

A:Two computers, same network, same IP?

hi there and welcome to seven forums

i would run this to check for virus etc Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2011

Quote:
Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2011
is a free software intended to disinfect infected computers, removing viruses, Trojans, and spyware, as well as any other types of malware. Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2011 uses the same highly efficient algorithms for detecting malware as Kaspersky Anti-Virus. Algorithms include a full-functional anti-virus scanner, technologies developed for detecting vulnerabilities in installed applications and operating systems, and a technology for running scripts intended for removing complex and compound viruses. The utility can be used as a free anti-virus software.

Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool 2011 is not intended for real-time protection of computer. After the disinfection of the computer is complete, the application should be uninstalled from the hard drive and replaced with the real-time protection anti-virus:

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/181052-two-computers-same-network-same-ip.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I have 2 computers (computer 1, and computer 2) running XP, standard road runner connection thru a linksys 5 port switch(10/100 i think), and a printer connected to computer 1. What are the steps I need to take to make these computers 'see' eachother? each of them has internet access. I just don't know what I need to do xp-wise (what do i do to each computer?) If anyone can give me step by step instructions I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Matt

"today i learned how to fly, now i'm never coming down"Click to expand...

- Rise Against "Heaven Knows"

A:How do I network 2 computers?

I think there have been some two dozen posts on the same subject this year. Yust use the search feature or browse this forum.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-network-2-computers.11734/
Relevancy 44.72%

well last week I bought too network cards and I put them into the computers. both the computers detected them and so I installed them. and I can't get past that. so any can of help I would love it thanks little mac.

------------------

A:need help to network my computers

Go to Network properties and make sure TCP-> is bound to both network cards. Then double click on TCP/IP--> your network card and designate an IP address for each machine as follows:
1st machine - 192.168.0.1
2nd machine - 192.168.0.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.0

I assume you have a hub to connect both computers. This way you will have a TCP/IP network between both computers that can also share internet access. If you're going to use a gateway in order to connect the second computer to the internet, use the 192.168.0.1 address for that computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-to-network-my-computers.29425/
Relevancy 44.72%

i have set up a wireless network using a D-LInk 108g MIMO wireless router and a pci card for the pc with a notebook adapter for my laptop.

All the cards match up and connect to the ADSL line via the router so i know the network is working.

but i can't figure out how to connect the laptop to the pc through the router to share files.

any help would be great as i need to fix this asap.

harry

Relevancy 44.72%

Hello Everyone I m a newbie within (8 My Network computers) the IS IT industry I have eight computers that are ready for networking On my console I will be using window advance Server net working operating system NOS I have a net gear cable DSL Web safe router model RP four ports and a net gear port Fast Ethernet Switch FS At the console I started the DC promo to add the Active Directory and DNS At a point within the add-on I got a prompt asking for my Domain Name I don t want to be compelled into a name at this point however my objectives are to Have computers on my network using advance Server as my NOS Be able to connect to the internet at each workstation Do I need to purchase a Domain name to add Active Directory and DNS If not what is the process Where should I add the net gear port Fast Ethernet Switch FS device on the network And if this information is needed on the other computers servers will have pro and or XP as their operating systems Amir nbsp

A:My Network (8 computers)

The domain name Active Directory is asking has nothing to do with domain names on the internet. It is just a name you can give to your group of computers and how your computers know they belong to that group.

You don't need Active Directory or any of that Microsoft mumbo jumbo to share the internet connection and files between the computers. Ignore all this domain stuff, set all computers to belong to the same workgroup (so you can share files between computers). Your router can take care of sharing the internet connection.

Plug the switch to one of your router's local ports.
BTW my finger counting shows that you don't have enough ports in your switches to hold 8 computers.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-network-8-computers.10747/
Relevancy 44.72%

Small office network, just moved into a new building. Trying to connect a laptop to the network to use shared resources. Machine is running XP, Workgroup name is the same (has been checked several times) and no other computers show up in My Network Places. Can connect to the internet just fine, can also connect to computers on the network if the path is entered manually. I need however to connect to a shared printer on another computer and if it cannot locate the computer on the network I'm not sure how to connect to the shared printer. This happens whether the laptop is connected to the network wireless or wired.

Relevancy 44.72%

I can go into all other computers files except this one laptop. In the networks on both of them they have all the file sharing turned on. On the computer I don't see the laptop pop up, and on the laptop if i click on the computer's files it has a password for it.

A:How can I see other computers on my network?

assuming not all comps on your network are same system vista/xp/7?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-see-other-computers-on-my-network.942878/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello All I work in a small office environment see Computers other on network cannot each which has computers that share a single internet connection cable I have recentley changed the swith and the modem they went bad due Computers on network cannot see each other to a lightning strike and since them I not able to see the other computers on the network and I am also unable to share files or printers My setup is as follows Two of the Computers on network cannot see each other computers run to the router switch Linksys Wirless router w port switch and from there it goes directly to the cable modem The other machine in the office is connected directly to the cable modem This is the exact same seup that I had previously but now it will not work I am able to ping all of the ip s and everything works fine there but cannot see the computers in the workgroup The internet does work on all three machines I have made sure that the workgroup name is the same on all machines also have disabled all firewalls amp antivirus software and still will not work I feel that this must be a configuration problem as I am unable to locate any problems with the hardware Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated as I have struggled with this for days I really don t want to pay someone an hour when it is probably something that I have overlooked Again thank you nbsp

A:Computers on network cannot see each other

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computers-on-network-cannot-see-each-other.460947/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a problem I'm trying to help my sister's systems configured so that she can share a printer Here is her setup She has a Windows XP computer to which her printer is attached It is connected via cable to a Linksys WRT G wireless router to which her cable modem is connected She also has a Windows laptop with a wireless network adapter which uses the same Linksys wireless router to connect to the internet Both computers connect through the wireless router to the internet with no problem Now for the problem I cannot get either computer to see the other computer on the network though both can see and successfully use the shared internet connection through the wireless router I've run the Network Setup Wizard on the XP machine and have checked the settings for the Win machine to make sure that the network is NOT trying to use the HomeGroup feature and that the network locaton is set as HOME I've also checked that the Network Advanced options are correctly set Other See Can't on Network Computers to enable network discovery file and printer Can't See Other Computers on Network sharing public folder sharing and media streaming Password protected sharing is turned off and encryption is set at bit In checking the router I wasn't there when the router was set up and my sister remembers little about how it was done she THINKS that maybe the cable guy who installed their cable internet service did it it shows an Unprotected connection While I have explained to her that this is dangerous everything I have read indicates that though it is ill advised it should still function She is hesitant to have me fiddle with the router--since with some justification she fears that she may lose her internet connection which as I said works fine now I readily confess that I am not a networking expert by any means I did successfully set up a similar setup of my own wireless router Win system and Win XP system cable modem But when I did it once I had configured everything each computer showed up on the other and file and printer sharing works fine If anyone has any suggestions as to what I may be missing or something I can check I'd be very appreciative Just a caveat that I may be slow to reply since checking anything or trying anything requires a physical trip to my sister's house Any suggestions welcomed

A:Can't See Other Computers on Network

Have the two computers been assigned to the same WorkGroup name ?

You can save trips to your sisters house by setting up a TeamViewer remote connection to access here computers.

See Here: TeamViewer

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/105158-cant-see-other-computers-network.html
Relevancy 44.72%

My Notebook is running Windows Bit and my Main PC runs Windows Bit and they are linked by wired Ethernet through a Router Gateway The Main PC also has two printers attached and cannot Sometimes see Network Computers shared across the Network My issue is that when I go to access the Main PC from the Notebook I sometimes cannot see anything under the Network Folder sometimes I can see Sometimes cannot see Network Computers the Router only sometimes I can see just the Notebook When I can Sometimes cannot see Network Computers see both computers everything works fine When I cannot see both computers is anyone's guess When I cannot see both computers I can go into Network and Sharing and open Sometimes cannot see Network Computers the full network map and can see everything but cannot see the same under the Network Folder The two printers attached to the Main PC are never impacted upon by the Network computers not being visible under the Network Folder and are always available for printing from any program used on the Notebook back through the Network I have checked all the settings suggested by other Forum suggestions related to these sorts of issues and the settings are as they should be I have tried rebooting both PCs and have changed Firewall settings on both PCs updated Network Card software and drivers and nothing has changed the intermittent nature of my problem An hour ago I had the problem and had given up after a day of trying different measures and when I started to write this forum text everything was working OK Can someone please HELP

A:Sometimes cannot see Network Computers

Hello GavinJ,

Which antivirus software are you using on those machines?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/103693-sometimes-cannot-see-network-computers.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a siemens router set up with my main computer operating on an xp 64 bit system. I would like to set up another computer operating on the xp32bit to share the online connection, so that I can use the smaller computer to access the palm hotsync for my handheld tungsten t3. Can anyone advise me please, on the easiest and cheapest way to achieve this? Thank you in anticipation.

A:How do I set up a network for two computers?

Plug the XP computer into the router along with the Vista machine. On the XP computer select Control Panel, Network Setup Wizard and follow the instructions

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-set-up-a-network-for-two-computers.123226/
Relevancy 44.72%

As the title, say, two network computers, only one can see the other. Computer 1 can see computer 2's resources fine but computer 2 CAN'T see Computer 1's resources. Never seen anytime like it. Both are running XP Home edition and are using TCP/IP setup. Both are in the same workgroup. I was working on getting the ICS to work. Obviously, computer 1 is sharing its connection with 2 but....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/two-network-computers-only-one-can-see-the-other.406801/
Relevancy 44.72%

I'm clueless here...

Computer 1 is plugged into the modem via ethernet.

Computers 2 and 3 connect to a router via WiFi, which is then connected to the modem via ethernet.

How do I get all three computers on the same network so they can share files between each other?

A:How to have three computers on the same network

What OS do all the PCs have?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/296303-how-have-three-computers-same-network.html
Relevancy 44.72%

As the title, say, two network computers, only one can see the other. Computer 1 can see computer 2's resources fine but computer 2 CAN'T see Computer 1's resources. Never seen anytime like it. Both are running XP Home edition and are using TCP/IP setup. Both are in the same workgroup. I was working on getting the ICS to work. Obviously, computer 1 is sharing its connection with 2 but....

A:two network computers, only one can see the other

Read this thread, and see if it helps
http://forums.techguy.org/t403205.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/two-network-computers-only-one-can-see-the-other.406800/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a home network with two computers running W-7. I'm trying to add another computer as a media center PC. It is running XP but having no luck adding it to this network . Can someone help me out?

P.S. I'm trying to set up a wireless connection.

A:Add computers to a W-7 network

Well...what have you tried?

Did you use the Win 7 default name (Workgroup) when trying to add the XP system, rather than mshome?

Sorry, I don't know anything about wireless...I still prefer wired .

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/328761/add-computers-to-a-w-7-network/
Relevancy 44.72%

I think that s what I want to do I How network do computers 2 I have an How do I network 2 computers HP desktop with vista and cable high speed modem and a linkys attached to it for How do I network 2 computers wireless My laptop is a toshiba with wireless running windows and I use it upstairs wireless to connect to the net There are times I need a file from the desktop and I have to go down and put it on memory stick to copy it over Is there any way I can access the desktop from the laptop without having to do that Would need step by step instructions to set it up if it can be done with different operating systems I did a free trial of log me in and loved it but I only need to do this in the house but while I was in the free trial I had a friend sign up and it allowed me to fix a problem she had since she lived many miles away so another question is if I want a set up like that how is it done I mean when you call for tech support and they are able to take control of your computer to fix something is it a paid program you have to get or is there something free you can get It s only one friend I have to help and it s really hard to help her through email when she has a problem and she is too far for me to physically get at the computer so thought I would investigate into how all that works Mary nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

Hello everyone I have an XP machine that is unable to see any other computer on the network I disabled the firewall and I can ping any device on the network with no issue I have set several other computers to the same workgroup which is mshome Lastly I have read several other post and tried the ideas there including this one Finally let s do the stack repair TCP IP can Network. XP computers other see on not stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP Start R B un CMD to XP can not see other computers on Network. open a command prompt In the command prompt window that opens type type the following commands Note Type only the text in bold for the following commands Reset TCP IP stack to installation defaults type netsh int ip reset reset log Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults type netsh winsock reset catalog Reboot the machine That did not seem to work As I am still in the same situation Any ideas another note This is the only XP on the network Everyone else is Windows Also on a side note the reason I am doing this is to install a printer on this one and allow the other computers to print from it and seeing folders is helpful also Windows IP Configuration Host Name Upstairs Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled Yes WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List hsd nh comcast net Ethernet adapter Hamachi Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Hamachi Network Interface Physical Address A- -F -AF- - D Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server Lease Obtained Saturday June PM Lease Expires Sunday June PM Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix hsd nh comcast net Description NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller Physical Address - E-A - C- B- C Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Saturday June PM Lease Expires Sunday June PM C Documents and Settings Patricia Troy Demers PTD-E B D gt nbsp