Windows Support Forum

Computer won't boot sometimes without hard reset

Q: Computer won't boot sometimes without hard reset

My mother has Computer sometimes hard boot reset without won't an HP that runs Windows Vista Premium Home Its about - yrs old Two weeks ago the power went off for a few minutes when it was on Computer won't boot sometimes without hard reset or in sleep mode When she tried to turn it back on she could see the quot cd light quot blink once or twice the fans came on but no power I found the directions to unplug all the cords and hold the power button down to reset it Well it worked I then ran Malwarebytes and it did find one or two things but they were removed Today she called me to tell me the same thing happened But the power never went out She had it on and it must have gone into a sleep mode and Computer won't boot sometimes without hard reset nothing worked to bring it out She had to reset it again Does anyone know what would be causing this to happen I m wondering if its something I could easily fix myself or if we need to bring it to someone to be repaired

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Computer won't boot sometimes without hard reset

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Computer won't boot sometimes without hard reset

Hello kat91119,Some people have been able to awaken the monitor when the computer is in "sleep" mode by pressing CTRL-ALT-DEL (not holding them) and then clicking cancel. You could try going through this troubleshooting guide: How to Troubleshoot a Vista or Windows 7 Sleep Mode Problem.You will note that they recommend updating the display drivers and the system bios, first. I wouldn't worry about the bios at this point but would check the computer manufacturer's web site to see if they have an "updated" display driver. How to determine the dispaly adapter name and version then go to manufacturer's website:First, click "Start" (the globe) and right mouse click on "Computer" and click "Properties."Select "Device Manager" then click on the (+) next to "Display Adapters." Write down the make and model number.Next, right mouse click on the Display Adapter and click "Properties," "Driver" tab, and write down driver date and driver version.Now you can go the computer manufacturer's web site (i.e. Dell, HP, Acer, etc.), look for "Download Drivers and Software" (may have to click on Support, first). Enter either "Tag number" or exact "make and model number." Select the computer operating system (Vista 32 or Vista 64).Look for your exact display adapter, note date and driver version. If newer, download and install.Finally, proceed with the troubleshooting guide.I hope it helps.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/433786/computer-wont-boot-sometimes-without-hard-reset/
Relevancy 64.07%

Built my computer about months ago worked fine up until now My PC randomly freezes completely and suddenly Task manager wont open and I have to reset it however even after reset it takes forever to boot and it goes straight to the wont up, reset UEFI Computer to boot till full shutdown/reset goes button locking UEFI and not to Windows even if I exit the UEFI it won t boot into Windows until I shut it off completely then turn it back on My M g SSD Windows Drive doesn t show up in the Computer locking up, reset button goes to UEFI wont boot till full shutdown/reset boot menu but does in device manager my computer however this is not a new thing I suspected the SSD might be failing The freezing started after having my computer off for days it s never been Computer locking up, reset button goes to UEFI wont boot till full shutdown/reset shut off for more than a day or two I can think of no other unusual things Computer locking up, reset button goes to UEFI wont boot till full shutdown/reset I might have done or changed So far I have tried Resetting the BIOS overclocks to quot default quot they have been stable Running memtest for a period of hours with no errors Running MSI Kombuster burn-in-test for about half an hour This was happening while playing Battlefield I thought it might be the game GPU but it happens even while watching VLC or browsing Firefox and Chrome on their own Didn t crash Freeing up space in the Windows SSD It had less than GB now it has GB and the problem still occurs Checked all temperatures of CPU GPU Drives Mobo nothing is overheating Under GPU stress test It doesn t lag or give warnings it just locks up There were several large tmp files taking up space - gb in my windows SSD g M I deleted them but one reappeared I forgot the folder location it was a Temp folder I think under AppData it wasn t the windows temp folder The reason I mention it is because they were never there before I don t use my Windows SSD for anything beside a few quot essential quot small applications and then suddenly it was full which I didn t see until I was troubleshooting my current issue They were all hours old My only guess is BF was putting them there for some reason because my g SSD was too full They all started with SRA then random letters or numbers tmp nbsp

A:Computer locking up, reset button goes to UEFI wont boot till full shutdown/reset

The SSD might be failing. Is it still under warranty?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-locking-up-reset-button-goes-to-uefi-wont-boot-till-full-shutdown-reset.204640/
Relevancy 60.2%

After spending after boot reset. only hard will PC many hours perusing various threads on numerous sites I find myself no PC will only boot after hard reset. further on troubleshooting the following boot problem The PC will not boot from cold but will work perfectly after a hard reset Apologies in advance for this massive post but it will prevent exploring places I have explored already I built the following system for my son for Christmas ABIT NF V mb AMD PC will only boot after hard reset. Sempron Boxed with fan single stick mb Kingston DDR Memory ATI Radeon mb video card Sony DVD drive Single Western Digital WD JD rpm SATA gb HDD Zoom G-Wireless USB mbs card TV XP global TV tuner card PCI LG S TFT monitor W PSU with V on the V rail Windows XP home On first assembly everything booted up and worked fine The following day on a cold boot the system hung before during POST No single normal beep and fans were turning and both HDD and DVD drive lights came on The reset button did not have any effect A couple of hard power-offs did the trick - system booted into windows fine Again the following day on a cold start the system hung but I had a couple of different POST codes at different times Two tone siren short beeps repeating longer beep about sec long but did not self shut down just continued with the beeping until I switched the power off reset had no effect On investigating various web sites threads I decided on replacing the PSU two tone beeps out of limit voltage detection and on looking on ABIT TEQ the V rail was a bit unstable about - I also increased AGP and Vcore voltages by small amounts as recommended on the Abit Forum threads but no improvement I replaced the PSU with a Jeantech W unit Bet you can guess though New PSU did not help I have since done three clean installs of windows and formatted the HDD to try to eliminate virus driver snags Incidentally on the windows install the soft reboots initiated by windows setup resulted in single repeated beeps and system hangs Hard power off and reboot again enabled a normal boot back into windows Other threads suggest that the single repeating beep is not a terminal main board problem and I suspected the CMOS battery not enough juice to store the configuration hence the hanging on cold boot but changing it has not helped either I have also swapped RAM and graphics card ATI radeon XT from my other PC to eliminate those components as suspect Also tried running the RAM as rather than - Symptoms remained each time I then noticed that the DVD rom was not always recognised in the BIOS and so suspected an IDE channel failure After discussion with tech support people at ABIT I then RMAed the motherboard and replaced it for an ASUS K V X SE Since fitting the ASUS board the only remaining problem is that the PC will still not boot first time from cold You have to do a hard reset and then it boots fine and runs very well into windows I have now been investigating threads about the WD JD hard drive and its compatibility with the VT R chipset I have jumpered the HDD to lock at mb s Have also swapped in a different DVD drive but no change I am left with thinking that this is a BIOS setting issue or a SATA IDE conflict or BOOT issue I have tried play with boot order and the RAID screen but there appears to be nothing to change there I have also flashed the BIOS to from the ASUS web site I have checked for motherboard shorts seems clear I am also thinking of getting an EIDE HDD just to see if this is the problem but can t see why SATA shouldn t run with IDE on the same board So far I have Changed PSU twice Changed the mainboard Swapped in RAM Swapped in Graphics Card Changed GPU fan supply source Changed CMOS battery Changed voltages in the bios at the advice of the tech support man in UK Run various software based hardware checks eg PC Check and memtest which have all passed Sorry bout the war and peace but having read many threads it seems to pay to be thorough I really am starting struggle... Read more

A:PC will only boot after hard reset.

Wow, sounds like you've essentially swapped in a brand new computer.

You didn't put jumpers on the hard drive, did you? I've heard of that messing up SATA drives. Poke around the BIOS and mess with the drive settings, including raid configs that might not exist. it definately sounds like a BIOS problem related to your hard drive.

That does seem like a royal pain though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pc-will-only-boot-after-hard-reset.68670/
Relevancy 59.34%

Sometimes after a power failure, the computer wont reboot from the hard disk. Instead we get a statement which says, and I loosely quote: Boot hardware not found. Insert disc and press F1 or press F2 for setup.

Last night the disc wouldnt let it boot up either. I went to F2 and tried to change the boot from the CDROM to the hard disk, the problem was HARD DISK was not in the window as a selection. Finally after doing some things that now I cant remember, I went back to the same window and low and behold Hard disk is now a part of the selection. The computer then booted from the hard disk, and is now operating fine.

Can someone explain to me what I did to get it working so that when this happens again I have the method of repair at hand. Thanks so much.

Mike

A:How To Reset Boot From Hard Disk

You probably clicked on Automatically detect hard drive in the Bios. You should purchase a UPS device to stop your computer corruption from power failures. In time your hardware will be damaged.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/81082/how-to-reset-boot-from-hard-disk/
Relevancy 58.91%

Yesterday my laptop suddenly stopped responding. I followed the tutorial and removed the battery and tried booting up the laptop using the charger. It doesn't work. I can see the charger port going from white to orange and then blank in quick succession. Then I tried keeping the battery and the charger plugged in for a long time without turning on the laptop. The charger remains orange for more than an hour before turning white.   I tried running the laptop after couple of hours and it boots up fine. But on the other hand, charger starts to act up again cycling through nothing, orange and white. So when the battery charge falls below 15%, it goes through low battery and then showing a bit of charge then again warning.  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Laptop-doesn-t-boot-up-even-with-hard-reset/td-p/5701676
Relevancy 57.19%

System locks up needs time before it can be restarted I have a newly built computer that locks up usually to min after booting usually I am browsing the internet then pages to Freezes, reset, until hard can have Windows 10 I 7 back then wait min Solved: boot won t load then my browser freezes and I can t Ctrl apt Del Then everything freezes and I have to hard reset but the computer won t boot up unless I Solved: Windows 7 Freezes, have to hard reset, then wait 10 min until I can boot back let it rest for min Everything in the computer is brand new I have it running the bare minimum stick of memory The hard drive I noticed in the bios that the v and v are low The v is running around The v is around I ve spent days trying different things any help would be greatly appreciated I have tested the CPU and even re installed it I have tested the memory it seems fine I have checked the wires I have reset the bios Its a new ultra watt PSU a new asus m a l-m lx plus mb An amd HD phenom ll x processor a wd blue gb hard drive hyperx red gb ddr memory modules a radeon hd GPU Running win nbsp

A:Solved: Windows 7 Freezes, have to hard reset, then wait 10 min until I can boot back

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-7-freezes-have-to-hard-reset-then-wait-10-min-until-i-can-boot-back.1122176/
Relevancy 56.76%

I have been experiencing problems with my PC locking up and needing to hold down the power button to shut it off It seems to be more of an issue during the summer months leading me to believe it is a heat issue I downloaded Core Temp to see if I could get a temperature reading when it locks up I started the program left it running on the desktop and let the computer sit idle When it locked up the last reported temperature for Core was C and Core was C which did not seem very extreme Is there anything else I can do to try and see if a specific component is failing due to heat I have tried using compressed air to clean out my case made sure all case fans are working and reapplied Arctic Silver Silver thermal compound on the CPU PC Details Antec Performance Plus AMG Asus P Q SE Intel Core Duo E Wolfdale GB Kingston HyperX DDR RAM MB GeForce GTX Sound Blaster Audigy ZS Windows XP Pro SP

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/computer-locking-up-need-to-do-a-hard-reset-701746.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello im quite new to this forum so please be patient with me Im decently tech suavy able to do my own hardware and software upgrades and identify some problems but still learning My computer is just over a year old and it began acting up nearly a month ago The problem occurs during gameplay I only currently have games on my computer WoW and CoD MW and during both games and no given specific time the computer freezes and the monitor loses signal I have recently noticed that during this freeze I still receive audio which makes me think it has something to do with the video card My specs are as follows Processor Intel Core Quad CPU Q GHz Ram GB bit Operating system running on Windows Vista w service pack I have a newly installed PSU about months old running at amps i believe And a GeForce GTX Video card installed around the same time as the PSU If you could help me with my situation in any way it would be greaty appreciated nbsp reset. Computer freezes, hard requires

A:Computer freezes, requires hard reset.

Bumping for reply!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-freezes-requires-hard-reset.962745/
Relevancy 55.9%

Good evening fellas The Problem This is an issue I have never run into before on numerous builds My computer wont reset from pressing the reset button or through software reset I was able Computer wont reset (Hard or Software) to get through windows installation by pressing the power button and powering back up This is when I noticed a second issue My computer wont boot to windows with the USB mouse and key board plugged Computer wont reset (Hard or Software) in Front panel or back panel its just a black screen It will post with the USB mouse and keyboard plugged in as I am able to press F to get into bios I tried rearranging the front panel connectors on the mobo running with only the power button hooked up running with the front pannel usb hooked up and looking around bios for any relevant settings cant find anything there related to boot Once in windows I test my hardware by playing about hours straight of AC and doing burn in tests with no errors I am at a loss The Background I recently bought Computer wont reset (Hard or Software) a replacement mobo and power supply to replace a pair that fried due to moisture I bought a new case because I fell out of favor with my old case that had a window pane and led lights and I upgraded my ram to gb x gb modules Essentially I only kept my TB HD DVD-RW Video Card and CPU I tested all of the hard ware I kept in a friends system he let me use for the purpose and those components all burned in well after about hours of benching and burn in testing with no errors The Hardware Mobo Asrock N C-GS http www asrock com mb NVIDIA N C-GS FX CPU Phenom X BE GPU Pallet GT Sonic Edition http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E RAM GB PC http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E PSU Raidmax Hybrid W Modular http www newegg com Product Product aspx Item N E nbsp

A:Computer wont reset (Hard or Software)

A strange problem indeed.

Triple check your wiring is correct using your motherboard manual. Be sure the motherboard is mounted correctly on the standoffs and no grounds are occurring.

Faulty buttons on the case itself?

Reset bios to optimal defaults, clear cmos.

After that I would return the mobo.

Sorry I cant be more specific, Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-wont-reset-hard-or-software.196539/
Relevancy 55.9%

have posted another topic on bleepingcomputer about this I just want some extra help as responses could be slow...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/549415/computer-freezing-randomly-and-having-to-reset/

tldr;

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/UEPn5RnXvn6cXGWsGZ16EVa

error code 800B0100 and error code 80070570 when trying to update

Relevancy 55.9%

Hello im quite new to this forum so Computer freezes, reset hard requiring please be patient with me Im decently tech suavy able to do my own hardware and software upgrades and identify some problems but still learning My computer is just over a year old and it began acting up Computer freezes, requiring hard reset nearly a month ago The problem occurs during gameplay I only currently have games on Computer freezes, requiring hard reset my computer WoW and CoD MW and during both games and no given specific time the computer freezes and the monitor loses signal I have recently noticed that during this freeze I still receive audio which makes me think it has something to do with the video card My specs are as follows Processor Intel Core Quad CPU Q GHz Ram GB bit Operating system running on Windows Vista w service pack I have a newly installed PSU about months old running at amps i believe And a GeForce GTX Video card installed around the same time as the PSU If you could help me with my situation in any way it would be greaty appreciated nbsp

A:Computer freezes, requiring hard reset

Ive recently installed Speedfan, and am now noticing my GPU runs at 65C whilst no games are running... any tips on getting this down? (Not a laptop)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-freezes-requiring-hard-reset.156649/
Relevancy 55.47%

well i was cleaning my computer (no water involed) and after i put the computer back togetter i tryed to turn it on but after window xp screen loads up a blue screen flashes for 1 second and resets the computer
Anyone know how can i fix this computer proble

PS: i am on the laptop of someone elses

A:Computer reset on boot

Hi Evilcookie and welcome to TSF

Check you haven't loosened any IDE or power cables. A loose IDE cable on the hard drive could mean it will be detected successfully but may not be readable

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-reset-on-boot-106218.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello,

I recently reinstalled Windows 7 on my custom built PC. Since doing so I have random freezes that allow me to do nothing other than hard reset the computer. There is no particular time that it does it, and it has mostly been noticed while either on the desktop or using Firefox.

Attached you will find the files from the Seven Forums Diagnostics Tool.

A:Random Computer Freeze Requiring Hard Reset

Welcome to the forums Watson1,

Code:
BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa80045668f8, 0, 0}

Probably caused by : AuthenticAMD

Code:
Usual causes: Hardware, Incompatibility, May be driver corruption

Code:
2: kd> !errrec fffffa80045668f8
===============================================================================
Common Platform Error Record @ fffffa80045668f8
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Record Id : 01ce6f6c49e47881
Severity : Fatal (1)
Length : 928
Creator : Microsoft
Notify Type : Machine Check Exception
Timestamp : 6/22/2013 17:17:00 (UTC)
Flags : 0x00000002 PreviousError

Section 0 : Processor Generic
Descriptor @ fffffa8004566978
Section @ fffffa8004566a50
Offset : 344
Length : 192
Flags : 0x00000001 Primary
Severity : Fatal

Proc. Type : x86/x64
Instr. Set : x64
Error Type : BUS error
Operation : Generic
Flags : 0x00
Level : 3
CPU Version : 0x0000000000100f53
Processor ID : 0x0000000000000000

Section 1 : x86/x64 Processor Specific
Descriptor @ fffffa80045669c0
Section @ fffffa8004566b10
Offset : 536
Length : 128
Flags : 0x00000000

Local APIC Id : 0x0000000000000000
CPU Id : 53 0f 10 00 00 08 04 00 - 09 20 80 00 ff fb 8b 17
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00

Proc. Info 0 @ fffffa8004566b10

Section 2 : x86/x64 MCA
Descriptor @ fffffa8004566a08
Section @ fffffa8004566b90
Offset : 664
Length : 264
Flags : 0x00000000

Error : BUSLG_GENERIC_ERR_*_TIMEOUT_ERR (Proc 0 Bank 4)
The first parameter or argument has the value of 0x0, which is a Machine Check Exception, which means the CPU has detected a hardware problem and the address points to a processor error because the CPU has found one, so it could be a different form of hardware which is causing the issue.

We can see that the CPU detected a Timeout Error, but wasn't able to identify what caused the error.

In such a situation, it is best to use these steps:Hardware - Stress Test With Prime95
Enable "Round off checking" before the test (see first post below tutorial).
Stop 0x124 - what it means and what to try
All the hardware seeming to be running stable and tests reporting no errors, could mean a bad motherboard.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Side Notes:

Although these steps are not strictly related to the issue, these steps will help to avoid any BSODs in the future.

You seem to have only 88 Windows Updates installed, I currently have 206 Windows Updates installed, please check for any Windows Updates and install all the listed Important, Recommended and Optional updates (ignore anything associated with Bing).Start
Type: Windows Update
Check for Updates/Install Updates
Reboot (if prompted)
Remove:

Code:
Start Menu\Programs\AVG
AVG is known to cause BSODs with Windows 7, please remove the program completely with the AVG Removal Tool, and then install these free and proven alternatives which work best with Windows 7, due to their lightweight nature on system resources and compatibility.

Install and perform full scans with:Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware download
Microsoft Security Essent... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/294869-random-computer-freeze-requiring-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi all I've been having this problem for quite some time now I would say a year or more where my computer completely freezes up without any prompting It's quite frustrating to diagnose since it happens on such a random basis -there seems to be no trend as to what kind of programs I have running what kind of things I am using it for etc Sometimes it happens when I'm just browsing the net other times it happens when I just have some files up ie not memory intensive tasks -today it even happened when I put a USB stick in I am at a complete loss as to what might be the cause I have already deleted some old programs that I'm not using but that hasn't seemed to have done anything I've done a disk cleanup and run a scan for viruses The freeze can only be resolved with a hard restart which I know is not good for the computer I've already had to do this some or so times already I've attached the event viewer taken computer reset requiring Random freeze hard about - minutes after the last freeze I had the one when it froze after I put my USB stick in Any help or advice at all would be much appreciated

A:Random computer freeze requiring hard reset

tactilation,

please refer to here:
Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/289748-random-computer-freeze-requiring-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I encountered The error code xc a upon startup I then contacted microsoft as I realize this is a windows problem but even with their help I was unable to restore the computer to an earlier version of windows so they said the only solution would be to do a hard reset do computer Unable to throug... but a to backup Need reset hard nbsp I can do the reset Need to do a hard reset but Unable to backup computer throug... but first I need to backup some important documents that I hadn't yet copied nto the cloud So i went onto the system recovery manager that is available upon pressing esc on startup and tried to backup the files nbsp It started off well and managed to compile a list of files to backup but afterwards upon finalizing the file backup it fails before even reaching stating the error code FFFFFF C as the problem nbsp Is there any way to resolve this or do I just have to say goodbye to the files and do the factory reset nbsp cheers nbsp JP

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Need-to-do-a-hard-reset-but-Unable-to-backup-computer/td-p/5686341
Relevancy 55.47%

I have had this problem for months and now I am at the end of to causing permanently, me reset Computer freezes hard my tether Basically if I have to explain it this crash can happen any time any where Browsing the internet clicking an icon on the desktop playing a game watching a video or just leaving the computer sitting there It just stops instantly the clock stops all peripherals like my bluetooth dongle turn off however the screen doesnt loose its image itll just freeze on what it was on the power still functions and If I dont hard reset then It will sit there for hours doing nothing On rare occasions I get a blue screen very rare I dont know if its hardware or software Ive done RAM checks they all come out fine everythings upto date driver wise But this happened when I had vista installed now I have windows and its the same problem just alot more frequently at least once or twice a day or it wont Computer freezes permanently, causing me to hard reset happen for days then out of nowhere bam computer crashes I used a program called everest to get Computer freezes permanently, causing me to hard reset my computer specs but it got LOADS of info lines to be exact so I Computer freezes permanently, causing me to hard reset dont know how Iam going to be able to tell you my specs as I cant put links in If I could Id place it in rapidshare rapidshare com files Report txt html nbsp

A:Computer freezes permanently, causing me to hard reset

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don?t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don?t Zip each one individually.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-freezes-permanently-causing-me-to-hard-reset.149502/
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello,

I am running two 7950s in crossfire on my computer. Anytime I launch a game, my computer just locks up and this hardcore buzzing sound playing right when it crashes, the sound continues while the computer is frozen.
This problem has happened in both Battlefield 3 and Splinter Cell Blacklist. I have enabled Crossfire and Crossfire for applications that have no associated profile. In GPUz, it says my cards are enabled for crossfire.

Any ideas on this? I'm wondering if it's my psu? If I disable crossfire, the games work, but the second gpu is at 0% utilization.

Here are my specs:
Windows 8 64bit
AMD 13.8 beta 2 drivers
ULPS is disabled via MSI Afterburner (and I did restart after)
CPU: 4670k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z87x-UD5H
RAM: 16GB Gskill
HDD: OS on a 120gb ssd, games on a 2tb WD Black
PSU: 750w Corsair

A:Crossfire 7950s lock up computer, hard reset required

Since the games work fine when you disable Cf it seems like it is a driver issue, try downloading the latest 13.10 Driver and see if it fixes your issue.
Driver: 13.10 AMD Catalyst

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/30103-crossfire-7950s-lock-up-computer-hard-reset-required.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Originally I thought my issue was game or even driver specific but I ran into it again on a different game today so I figured I should ask on here So here goes My issue is that my computer will randomly freeze sometimes while playing games and its usually in locations that aren't really graphics intensive The three places it's happened so far are World of Warcraft multiple times several of those in the same area Arma only once and now Tom Clancy's The Division Open Beta twice in the same area I originally Computer - Hard Sound Requires Freezes Continues Reset - thought it was just an issue with World of Warcraft but then it happened on Arma and after a while it stopped happening altogether Just today I tried the Division Open Beta and it happened again I can still hear sound just Computer Freezes - Sound Continues - Requires Hard Reset fine which in and of itself isnt that strange a sound file could be really long and just continue to play while the computer is frozen but I can still hear people talking over VOIP too however unlike other similar issues that I've read about I cannot interact with the program at all Clicking pushing buttons etc do not produce any new sounds and the people on VOIP cannot hear me talking to them I cannot alt-tab ctrl alt del or really do anything I have to hard reboot What drives me insane is that no errors show up in Event Viewer or even in WhoCrashed so I have no idea what is causing it I have an Antec W PSU so I dont think it's a lack of power I've read around and didnt see anything that helped and the few threads I saw that were similar didn't sound like my issue Here's what Ive tried -Updating graphics drivers clean installation-Ccleaner-Checking Event Viewer nothing shows up there were event logs for Nvlddmkm crashes but the critical crashes produce no events except loss of power to the kernel when I hard reset -Turning off power save in the Ethernet adapter options-Benchmarking drives via Defraggler both turned up GOOD -Ran mdsched with passes returned no issues -Rolling back graphics driversIm running a GTX with GB RAM on an i k bit Windows I think the CPU has been factory overclocked from GHz to GHz since I get an error message saying overclocking failed whenever I hard reboot my computer Ive read people suggesting a mobo issue but really I'd like to see if there's anything else it could be since Im not really in a position to replace my mobo right now I can post dxdiag and msinfo reports if needed Thanks for your help

A:Computer Freezes - Sound Continues - Requires Hard Reset

I should note that turning all the settings down from High (auto-detected) to Medium kept me from crashing in that area, and turning down one of the settings on WoW has kept me from crashing since too, but why are graphics causing my whole computer to freeze? Especially on a GTX 770?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/606010/computer-freezes-sound-continues-requires-hard-reset/
Relevancy 54.61%

So my computer has been kinda laggy and running slowly so I figured I would do a clean reset of Windows It noted that it Windows - Computer Failed 10 Reset Can't Boot would take hours which was fine However about an hour into it it said there was an error resetting It then restarted the computer however I can't get passed the quot ASUS quot start up logo It goes black and then loops I hit F but none of the options work for me - automatic repair won't work because it says my computer doesn't have an administrator and when I try to reset again Windows 10 Reset Failed - Can't Boot Computer from there it tells me that quot a required drive partition is missing quot I don't have the greatest knowledge on computers so I really don't even know what that means I've read that I might have to reboot from a USB - how would I go upon doing that Is there something I can download on the Microsoft website I don't have a key because Windows 10 Reset Failed - Can't Boot Computer the computer came pre-loaded with Windows and I upgraded to Windows for free last year Will I still be able to boot from a USB

A:Windows 10 Reset Failed - Can't Boot Computer

I've done some research and I think I may have confused myself even more.

When I tried to reboot from F9, it gave me the option to refresh and reset (both did not work) or "continue to windows 8" ... so is my Windows 10 gone? Even if I boot from a USB, will it still work? I read that it will work without a key but did the failed reset remove the activation?

Once I create a USB, how does it work? When I put it into my computer, will it just start? or is there something I need to access to get it to work?

I apologize if these questions sound dumb/easy, this is very new to me and I don't want to do the wrong thing.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/42100-windows-10-reset-failed-cant-boot-computer.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hey guys,
I just came back from college and my computer has been packed away in the closet for over 3 months. I plugged everything in today, and upon pressing the power button, the fans spin up and stay on, but the computer doesn't do anything more.
On the back of the computer, a red light that says CLR CMOS is on. The power LED's in the front are not on.

Also, it's an ASrock p67 extreme 4 mobo
Looking inside, their is a code that is displayed on the mobo "A3" and the Power and Reset lights are also lit up

Any help would be appreciated!

Relevancy 53.75%

I have a Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700(I5 Core) and i am trying to factory reset to the default settings again because of the stupid problems i am having on the tablet.
Here is the problem i am trying to get into the BIOS which is the 1 step on the Acer website but for some bizarre reason when it is completely off i press the Windows button and the power button to get in to the BIOS as it says on the Acer Website but it keeps going to the start menu/desktop now instead of going to the BIOS. :/
I have factory reset/hard reset on my Acer Iconia W700 a couple times and i never had this problem before, i gone in to the BIOS no problem!!!
Can someone help me please?? Thanks!!!

A:Windows 8 tablet factory reset/hard reset problem!!! HELP!!

Is it still under warranty? You should try contacting Acer.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-tablet-laptop-discussion/397817-windows-8-tablet-factory-reset-hard-reset-problem-help.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi there So in April I decided to go all in on an Alienware which I use for business and pleasure After a couple weeks I started noticing the computer would not wake from sleep - after on BSOD long reset Hard periods needed computer Invisible wake during extended times such as over night I would simply close the lid at night and open it in the morning where Invisible BSOD on computer wake after long periods - Hard reset needed the HDD light would come on and then the computer would be frozen in a state with a black screen before bootup where I am forced to hold the power button down to reset It would then tell me that the computer was Invisible BSOD on computer wake after long periods - Hard reset needed shut down incorrectly etc I finally had Dell tech support work on it who were absolutely fantastic at the time They went through all kinds of system setting changes including how the computer sleeps updated video and MANY other drivers including a reinstall of windows Problem persisted Next they sent a tech out to replace the Video cards problem persisted Next they replaced the HDD's motherboard and video cards again problem persisted They were completely stumped so they sent me a brand new system which is even better than the last one I had After a few days I noticed this system is doing the exact same thing I called tech support and the original guy is now in another department so I'm dealing with a new guy now who is starting from scratch again with this system I spoke with their manager as this guy wanted to reset the computer to factory again and he also suggested that they are sure that a reinstall of windows or an alien respawn they call it would solve my issue I tried to explain to them that this would be the third run of windows and I can't logically see why it is going to solve the issue now This is why I am now reaching out to this community This is a business computer as well so I don't really find it optimal to keep wiping it clean as I'm sure you can understand The strange thing is that times out of when I wake the computer in the morning it will be completely locked up and I have to hard reset so it doesn't do it all the time Even stranger is the fact that I have only managed to capture dump files that seem to be triggered from this event So for some reason it is not always creating a dump file but each and every time it says the computer was shut down incorrectly I look forward to anyone being able to shed some light on this as the entire team at Dell seems to be stumped Stevieb

A:Invisible BSOD on computer wake after long periods - Hard reset needed

Welcome to 7F.

Your dumps ared indicating a device driver as being the problem but none are showing.

Driver Verifier will stress your drivers and cause BSODs if any fail and will flag them up in the dump files. Follow this tutorial to enable/disable it. Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable

Information
Enable Driver Verifier but only enable these options:
Standard settings and IRP logging step 3.
Don't enable Force Pending I/O Requests

Warning
Make a System Restore point before enabling Driver Verifier.

Note
Your system will act very sluggishly while DV is enabled, this is normal as your drivers will be being subjected to heavy testing in order to make them crash.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/349752-invisible-bsod-computer-wake-after-long-periods-hard-reset-needed.html
Relevancy 53.32%

HELP Computer won t boot Tried everything Ok so this is my set up DDR mb Ram Asus A N X-X motherboard sapphire radeon xt mb GFX amd athlon cpu ghz gb HD just some cheap one- i forget brand perhaps seagate edit a floppy In BIOS? HELP! won't HELP! Computer Reset CMOS Outed Battery? it. it. and boot! and dvd burning drive Ok and the problem is I installed a ripped off ty version of XP Never really worked splendidly I changed somehting in the bios i had no idea what it was i m stupid for doing so i realise it was something to HELP! Computer won't boot! BIOS? Reset it. CMOS Battery? In and Outed it. HELP! do with speed it was at about mhz and i changed it to mhz also note i had the quot bios virus alert thing quot ON the next few boots were dodgy and it only HELP! Computer won't boot! BIOS? Reset it. CMOS Battery? In and Outed it. HELP! booted up every second or third attempt if it didnt boot up it wouldnt boot and just went beep long beeps and repeated -in no code this worked for boots before it never booted again it just beeped until i moved the jumpers on the pins from the two pins closest to the battery position to the furthest two and turned HELP! Computer won't boot! BIOS? Reset it. CMOS Battery? In and Outed it. HELP! the pc on it didnt beep the monitor didnt respond and but it seemed to be turned on the cpu fan was going and a green LED on the mobo was on i then turned the power off and stuck the jumper back on the original pins and turned it back on hoping the BIOS would be reset but the beeping sequence continued and nothing seemed to start So then i took out the battery for over half an hour then put it back in with the jumper still on the original pins- nb the comp power was off it booted - well it half booted i mean the LED was on on the mobo and the cpu fan was running but it never boot nb no beeps now either - that is my current situation has my mobo been toasted is it my sweet as gfx card lt whats up the ram Help list suggestions and steps on how to do them like a guide-by-guide for newbs like me P S edit do you think a system repair or flash bios would work THANKS IF YOU READ IT ALL nbsp

A:HELP! Computer won't boot! BIOS? Reset it. CMOS Battery? In and Outed it. HELP!

The Athlon XP 2600 that runs at 1917MHz runs on an FSB of 166MHz and has a clock multiplier of 11.5 (166 X 11.5 = 1909Mhz).

So if you have a system bus setting of 200MHz and the clock multiplier is set a 11.5, you were running it at 2300MHz, which is seriously overclocking it.

The processor might not have been up to that much overclocking and died.

Find out what BIOS settings do before you change them!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-computer-wont-boot-bios-reset-it-cmos-battery-in-and-outed-it-help.49267/
Relevancy 53.32%

My conputer was running slowly so i decided to factory reset it and after i did that it got stuck in a continuos boot loop. It will start and do some weird stuff then go to a black screen, then it repeats non stop. Ive watched multiple videos and people say i need to boot from a usb and stuff like that but i dont have windows on a usb so i dont think that will work. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,157926.0.html
Relevancy 53.32%

I recently reset my Gateway NV52L15u laptop computer in order to empty it out and restart back to factory basics. However, now if I turn it on, it goes straight to BIOS, telling me I need to "Insert Boot Media". I tried using my recovery drive, but that did nothing at all to fix it. Please help me, I need help on how to fix this.

A:Computer stuck in BIOS after reset? Insert Boot Media 8.1

In order to access the Recovery Manager you must repeatedly tap the F11 key at boot. However, if you have formatted the drive before hand, the recovery partition is gone and you will have to use Recovery Disks hopefully you made when you first got the computer. If no disks, you may be able to order them from the manufacturer.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/59308-computer-stuck-bios-after-reset-insert-boot-media-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 52.46%

hi,i wanted to know if hard reset and factory reset are the same things?my laptop won't turn on and i found out that i can hard reset that, but i do not want any of my data on hard disk to be erased. is it possible?(i've shut it down before so there is no data on RAM)thanks in advance.

Solved!
View Solution.

A:are hard reset and factory reset the same thing?

Hi, No, factory reset will bring your machine back to facory status (the time opening the box) byt hard reset won't. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/are-hard-reset-and-factory-reset-the-same-thing/td-p/5676772
Relevancy 50.74%

My computer will not boot. Boot device not found Hard Drive (3F0) I have a G7-3ried reset4OUS WINDOWS 7 64 bit. I have tried to reset BIOs  HELP

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/My-computer-will-not-boot-Boot-Device-not-found-Hard-disk/td-p/5671164
Relevancy 49.88%

I recently installed windows blinds i made my PC look awesome with a Windows Vista theme i came back on today and my theme was gone windows blinds somehow had a missing dll one program had completley vanished all of my quick launch buttons that are in the start menu are gone my custom tool bars were gone my icons were all put in a curtain order and not the way i Reset, Reinstalled? And Program Single Or Computer Reset Registrey> Every layed them out when i go into program files it says that showing this data might harm the pc or something like that the thing it says when you first go in there for the first time and you have to click on quot Show quot it Computer Reset, And Every Single Program Reinstalled? Or Reset Registrey> is saying that i am not admin when i am my close and minimize and maximize buttons are small and wont go big even when i change the setting i cant get a wallpaper to go on background it just stays blue This quot is now when it was in the right place it seems like my whole operating system has just been reinstalled WHAT THE HAS SOMEONE DONE TO IT OR WHAT THE HAS HAPPENED BECAUSE Computer Reset, And Every Single Program Reinstalled? Or Reset Registrey> IM PISSED OFF BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS ED PLEASE HELP ME GET MY PC BACK Computer Reset, And Every Single Program Reinstalled? Or Reset Registrey> And i have got to reinstall Windows Media Player again and probobly the Windows Updates i avnt got a clue what has gone and what hasnt anyone please help me im desperate for help with this one plus the pic of my theme is there so is something covering up my theme and windows blinds says it needs reinstalling that vista theme that is on now is a theme i downloaded it is not the theme that is ment to be on it did look like this nbsp

A:Computer Reset, And Every Single Program Reinstalled? Or Reset Registrey>

Can you get to System Restore and Restore it to a date before this happened......

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-reset-and-every-single-program-reinstalled-or-reset-registrey.591017/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello every one I've been having a long term problem that has basically plagued my computer since I've built it Yet the issue manifests itself in different ways through out the years The issue is At certain seemingly random points my computer screen freezes with no BSOD Computer is still running with Firefox freezing Random, Life. Hard in Second hard and reset required. fans going No error message Sound stops Mouse is not responsive on screen Nothing works Screen is frozen on the last picture A holding down of the power button for a hard reset is the only way to recover Through out the years since I've changed graphics cards and RAM chips in order to try and solve this Random, hard freezing in Firefox and Second Life. Hard reset required. problem I've found that the RAM had no effect on the issue but the graphics cards perhaps did Back in I had constant random freezing at random intervals during the days of the week whilst basically doing any thing An SLI set up of two Geforce s I finally discarded one of the graphics cards to only run one and that seemingly fixed most random freezing issues for some time Though it did happen on some rare occasion that I could not explain How ever In I upgraded my graphics card to a GeForce GTX OC and found that issues immediately arose again I could not activity render videos in Adobe Premiere Elements whilst working on the video editing software with out a hard freeze Basically unable to render videos in real-time whilst working on them any more More issues started occurring later with this same card When watching Youtube videos in Firefox browser Occasionally with increasing frequency watching videos in the browser were causing this problem Then I discovered the option to disable 'hardware acceleration' and the problem hasn't arisen in the browser since Come Using a program known as 'Second Life' that does tend to use a lot of resources When computer resources were being strained too hard this problem did return on a rare occasion when I was running dual clients of this program In this same program known as 'Second Life' had gone through some updates and now for some reason the freezing issue has reared its ugly head in a big way Some times I can't be on this program for even an hour and the hard freeze occurs To fix this issue from that point I've tried updating to the latest graphics drivers No success I've even upgraded my graphics card to a GeForce GTX Ti and again updated to the latest graphics drivers The issue still persists and renders use of them program unusable I am able to play games such as Guild Wars Grand Theft Auto Trove etc with out issue how ever I do not know what is causing the issue in order to know what I need to fix My current setup is ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report Operating System Windows Professional -bit Build Service Pack win sp gdr - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd System Model X A-UD BIOS Award Modular BIOS v PG Processor Intel R Core TM i CPU GHz CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Available OS Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found User DPI Setting Using System DPI System DPI Setting DPI percent DWM DPI Scaling Disabled DxDiag Version bit Unicode ------------ DxDiag Notes ------------ Display Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Input Tab No problems found -------------------- DirectX Debug Levels -------------------- Direct D retail DirectDraw retail DirectInput retail DirectMusic retail DirectPlay retail DirectSound retail DirectShow retail --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name NVIDIA GeForce GTX Ti Manufacturer NVIDIA Chip type GeForce GTX Ti DAC type Integrated RAMDAC Device Key Enum PCI VEN DE amp DEV C amp SUBSYS amp REV A Display Memory MB Dedicated Memory MB Shared Memory MB Current Mode x bit H... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/396853-random-hard-freezing-firefox-second-life-hard-reset-required.html
Relevancy 48.59%

After factory resetting my pc, it was installing windows and i accidentally turned it off. now everytime i turn it on it says i have to click ok to restart as it was turned off during windows installation  when i do it just repeats the same time no matter how many times i click ok and it restarts. please help as my computer is not booting up

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Had-to-factory-reset-my-computer-after-the-reset-i-was/td-p/5842411
Relevancy 46.87%

Windows XP sp2 wont boot from hard disk.

After much to do turns out my computer doesnt recognise the hard disk.

I have a seagate 500Gb SATA hard drive, its about a year old, the computer doesnt get hot in the slightest and it shouldnt be dead. I checked the wiring, as far as i can see, its all fine.

only conclusion i come to is that my hard disk is kaput which it shouldnt be. Can anyone give me any other possible solutions to try out before i cry and/or spend money on a new one? theres a lot of data on it i dont want to lose.

If not, ill plug it in to another computer to check, i havent done that yet because it will take me hours - i can only unscrew the hard drive from one side without rearranging the room.

ty!

A:Hard disk boot failure -> computer won't recognise hard disk

Is your Seagate the 7200.11 series?

We've been seeing a lot of harddrive issues layely that has nothing to do with the drive itself but bad SATA cables aas the cause. Do you have another one you can switch out?

When you say the computer doesn't recognize it we're talking the BIOS here, correct?

Another suggestion is what you have already suggested but I would "slave" it in antother system and see if you can access it that way.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-boot-failure-computer-wont-recognise-hard-disk.150755/
Relevancy 46.87%

I've got a Western digital 250g drive with win7 on it, and a western digital 500g with data on it. computer boots fine with just the OS drive, but won't boot when I add the data drive - hard drive failure. BIOS has the right sequence, i've tried all manner of jumper settings, using different ports, etc. I just realized that the BIOS doesn't and won't recognize the data drive when i run the auto detect. I'm thinking this is the problem (or at least part of it), but don't know where to go from here. How do I get the bios to recognize the drive?

Relevancy 46.87%

My except Drive off anything Computer boot of Hard Won't computer crashed Computer Won't boot off of anything except Hard Drive the other day while I was working it pretty hard It would not boot It kept telling me quot could not load OS quot I figured my hard drive was shot We tried to boot off Computer Won't boot off of anything except Hard Drive of windows cd as well as other boot CD s Removed HD and tried in different computers and it would not boot XP Anyway took mother board out and installed in a nother computer After workin about half a day finally got it to boot off of HD HD working fine The problem I don t understand is It will not boot off of anything but the Hard Drive If you place any device before the hard drive it will not boot It stays on that device whether or not a cd in loaded It will not boot even if a bootable cd is loaded We are talking different dvd cd drives You can t set one of the drives as first boot because it can not find OS if you do This is the same mother board that after about months decided that it would hang at bootup if you used more than stick of memory Don t know if problem is mother board or something else Computer self built AMD Gigabyte MB MB memory Maxtor boot HD Western Digtal HD Seagate HD BenQ Liteon Liteon S Liteon LTR S nbsp

A:Computer Won't boot off of anything except Hard Drive

Good Afternoon redneck572, that problem can happen sometimes if the IDE lead is reversed or damaged.
Check that the longer end is toward the M/B.
Also check your BIOS to ensure both IDEs are enabled if both M/B outlets are being used.

Confirm drive bridges are properly set.

Obtain and run memtest86 Ver 3.2 this is a memory test program that gives a good idea of memory problems. Accept no errors. Let it run for an hour or so if possible.
http://www.memtest86.com/

You could obtain this HDDRegenerator program and give it a run, it has a nice little scanner in it and gives a good idea of drive condition without causing any effect to it.
It makes a nice useful bootable disk and may be rerun.
http://www.dposoft.net/

There is a good chance your hard drive has a problem and is affecting the IDE Buss in such a way as to kill other devices, but other odd things like odd problem ethernet cards can also do the same thing, so don't get too focussed on logic.
Take the PCI cards out also if the problem persists.

Your description of memory hangups is symptomatic of mismatched memory, it might be an idea to investigate matched memory for that particular M/B if you have problems, that can be a real pain and can also be an intermittent problem.
It is best to begin with the best matched memory set and avoid problems like that.
Cheers, qldit.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-wont-boot-off-of-anything-except-hard-drive.471241/
Relevancy 46.87%

My Little Asus Terminator died in december after years of good service - needless to say the hard disk is full of important data It was running on Win XP pro service pack When I took the case off I was supprised at the amount of dust covering everything - the worst i've seen - lesson there clean the inside of the computer every year I had to remove the hard disk from my biggi computer which was working perfectly on win I think its gig proccessor I fitted new computer in Hard boot disk not will the Asus h disk and zip drive switched it on post went ok went over to boot up - would not boot just got an quot zebra crossing line at the bottom of the screen which went full white from left to right - then just stopped I reset and managed to get it to Safe Mode it started to find driver files Hard disk will not boot in new computer then just stopped again the screen full of file Hard disk will not boot in new computer strings I reset again and used the repair option but did not help I do not have the XP pro cd thanks to the person I loaned it to to sort their problem out Can anyone help - please

A:Hard disk will not boot in new computer

you will have to get the disk back and run a repair install

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-disk-will-not-boot-in-new-computer-331013.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello I currently have two hard drives and run a dual boot into Computer hard boot doesn't drive(s) setup On my main hard drive I have a partition for Windows XP and a partition for the rest of my crap On my other hard drive I run Ubuntu Normally I have been using Ubuntu and have had no virus issues whatsoever Today Computer doesn't boot into hard drive(s) I seemed to have gotten an quot antivirus scanner virus quot I have had great Computer doesn't boot into hard drive(s) success using Malwarebytes in the past so I kicked Computer doesn't boot into hard drive(s) off a scan of that and left my computer alone Turns out this virus shut down Explorer and eventually gave me hard drive error messages I don't remember exactly what it said but they were along the lines of this Cannot write to disk Hard drive clusters failed Hard drive is running out of space not true I decided to let my Malwarebytes scan continue figuring these might be bogus messages trying to scare me Anyway Malwarebytes finished scanning found some infections and needed to restart to complete the removal process I reboot and find out that it goes through trying to boot from my CD drives and then just hangs when trying to boot from my hard drives Neither hard drive appears to boot up Both are visible in BIOS I can boot from a Live Ubuntu CD and access data on both hard drives as well Is there anything I can do Or should I just try and use the Live CD and reinstall everything I'd prefer not to do something that extreme If you need any additional information let me know Thanks for any and all assistance

A:Computer doesn't boot into hard drive(s)

When you say it hangs when trying to boot from your hard drives, do you get any kind of message? Or just a blinking cursor in the top left of your screen?

Also, I'm assuming you are using the default boot manager to choose which OS to boot?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-doesnt-boot-into-hard-drive-s-545858.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I decided to built a new custom made computer and would like to know if I can just attached the old sata hard drive to the new motherboard?

I read that I have to have the same motherboard for the hard drive to work or else it will reformat the hard drive, is this true?

A:How do I get files out of hard drive if computer will not boot...

If you build a new computer and use a new hard drive, set it up as usual - but without the old hard drive with your data being installed. Once it's up and running, shut it down, attach the old hard drive, then copy your data over.

If you build the new computer and do not get a new hard drive, I would let it boot and detect all the new hardware. 95% of the time this will work and your data will be right where you left it. (The other 5% of the time leaves you in trouble.) I would recommend that you back the data up and do a clean install afterwards.

For future reference, either of these scenarios involve some risk. You are taking the chance that the sole location of your data will survive a major change in the system. Do yourself a favor and put a good backup plan in place so you never have all your eggs in one basket again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/220093-how-do-i-get-files-out-hard-drive-if-computer-will-not-boot.html
Relevancy 46.44%

So I messed up pretty hard I got a new hard drive and I have been trying to make it my boot drive by cloning my old hard drive to my new hard drive hard unless Can computer, boot two connected. drives not I never altered the old hard drive sure of this I was never able to clone and then add unallocated space to the partition and i spent Can not boot computer, unless two hard drives connected. hours on it so I just said it so I put the new hard drive wiped into a new comp I am building Here is the issue now My old comp won t start up unless both hard drives are present With the old hard drive it Can not boot computer, unless two hard drives connected. just won t start up With the new hard drive it says I am missing windows files this is odd because the new hard drive is wiped clean Not even a partition all unallocated space Windows will only start up if I have both hard drives connected to my comp and even then I can t even show the second drive in Disk management OR My computer I really need help Appreciated -Windows -Phenom Quad Core ghz doubt any other specs matter for this issue I can not remember what motherboard I have nbsp

A:Can not boot computer, unless two hard drives connected.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-not-boot-computer-unless-two-hard-drives-connected.1049645/
Relevancy 46.44%

I have to switch the computer of at the mains. When i came to switch it back on i get an error bootmgr is missing, so i put the windows 7 dvd in drive and windows starts.

I have three hard drives two internal and 1 external, what the pc is doing is looking on the HDD that does not have Windows on (J = Disk 0) but windows is on (C = Disk 1).

How can i change these around so that i do not need the DVD in the drive all the time.

I think i can use Disk Management, but i have forget how to do this

A:Computer looking at wrong hard drive on boot

Start your computer and press F8 to access the Advanced Boot Options menu. Select Repair Your Computer.

Select the Command Prompt option.

Type bootrec /rebuildbcd and press Enter.

The scan should identify your correct Windows installation and you will be asked to Add installation to boot list?  Type Y and press Enter.

You should see the message The operation completed successfully.

Restart your computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/523812/computer-looking-at-wrong-hard-drive-on-boot/
Relevancy 46.44%

When I let my computer run unattended, usually but not always, it will freeze and I must manually shut it down and reboot. Often the laptop feels very warm as if it is locked in a infinite computing cycle. On two occasions, out of the blue, I have seen flashing lines and a frozen screen requiring manual shut down. The word and excel icons have been replaced with generic icons but work normally. Spinrite finds no hard drive problems and several antiviral programs detect no viruses.

Occasionally, when I must manually reboot, the cursor hangs in the upper left corner and the computer is totally unresponsive to any command including manual shut down. However, if I close and open the lid, windows start up is initiated.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

John

A:computer freezes and requires hard boot

check your memory and be sure to remove any dust inside your laptop to increase airflow

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-freezes-and-requires-hard-boot.906417/
Relevancy 46.44%

Long time no post which seems to be a good thing since my computer wasn't acting up till now I cannot seem to troubleshoot my Windows installation I'm using Win Pro bit that was to my knowledge completely up to date until it started acting up - days ago I remember my computer freezing up in which case I did what I usually do and I force closed some programs None of the programs were integral to the operation of Windows After restarting my computer was able to POST to the BIOS and start to load the OS At this point it would just sit at quot Starting not drive boot and up booting (both CD) Computer hard Windows Computer not booting up (both hard drive and boot CD) quot and never move on no matter how long I sat in front of it I tried safe mode with and without networking and the file it would freeze at was a driver for my on board Computer not booting up (both hard drive and boot CD) graphics card I assumed since Computer not booting up (both hard drive and boot CD) it had ATI in the filename Since it wasn't booting properly I thought I might have to do a fresh install So I booted into a Live Boot CD of Ubuntu and moved my files I needed to a different Hard Drive I then booted into my install disc of Windows Pro bit and never got past quot Starting Windows quot Does this sound familiar to anyone I was still able to access my hard drive and copy files off of it so I don't think it's a bad hdd I ran Start Up Repair and it couldn't find a fix I tried System Restore and that didn't work I do have earlier restores I could try but they are weeks old I also tried the Memory Card Diagnostic tool I didn't actually see the results since I assumed the results would stay on this screen until I did something with it I was using my monitor for something else at the time so I don't know if my RAM is bad but I'm assuming since I can move past the BIOS and I can boot a Live boot of Ubuntu my RAM is OK I'm on the verge of installing Ubuntu so I can at least get online with it but I still have Windows programs that I need to run Any insight would be appreciated Thank you okami

A:Computer not booting up (both hard drive and boot CD)

I clean installed Ubuntu over my Windows installation. I don't have time tonight to try booting the Win7 CD but I can successfully boot Ubuntu without a disc.

This still baffles me so any insight would be helpful.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/251561-computer-not-booting-up-both-hard-drive-boot-cd.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have been having a problem recently. I've just installed windows vista ultimate sp1 x64 on my PC. It installed without a problem, but when the computer resets, all I get is DMI update suceeded, then the computer stays there for awhile and then attempts to boot from a CD, and I have to reinstall vista to bring back the computer.

I have gotten the computer to come back up occasionally, and I already checked the BIOS settings to ensure it boots from the hard drive first, and reinstalled vista on a new hard drive in case my old one died on me. I even tried running a vista recovery disk but it unable to even see my OS.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Any help would be greaty appreciated.

A:Computer refusing to boot from hard drive

Specs please.... Also, I know you have it set right in the boot order sequence, but have you checked so the hard drive is listed FIRST in the Hard Drive Priority or Boot drive priority?

Boot Order:
CDRom - 1st
Floppy - 2nd (if you have one)
Hard Drive - 3rd (boot drive)Hard or Boot Drive Priority
Hard or Boot Drive Listed FIRST.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-refusing-to-boot-from-hard-drive-330125.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello,

I built a new computer a bit ago, and I had used my second hard drive from my old one.

Now I am unable to boot up my old computer, and I cannot even get anything to display on a monitor.

The computer starts, and it appears everything is running.

What mistake did I make?

Relevancy 46.44%

I'm sorry this might be a long story Basically I need a list of all the possible causes for a computer not reading a hard drive on boot up It's hooked up properly and it was reading that it was there before About Boot-up. Computer Read Hard Won't on Drive a year ago my PC started acting suspicious I moved across the country with it It took a while to get here I plugged it in and it wouldn't read the hard drive I assumed the drive had failed I Computer Won't Read Hard Drive on Boot-up. didn't have any money to replace it so I had to wait until Christmas to get a new drive But I also couldn't afford to buy a Computer Won't Read Hard Drive on Boot-up. system disk I had to wait until today to get one Now I have the disk I disconnected the extraneous drive checked the connections on the new drive and booted up the computer with the system disk in place It started installing but then the install program said that there was no drive I rebooted and pressed F The BIOS program-a-ma-bob said the drive was there It listed the serial number and everything on Channel It said Channel had no drive Not a surprise since there is no Channel I only have my new drive hooked up I called my brother who used to work in a computer store We figured out that I had the cable hooked up to the wrong SATA input on the mother board Oddly I'm pretty sure that I was running my old slave drive off that connection just fine I hooked it up to the one marked PRI SATA I booted the computer up again and it no longer had the BIOS error and appeared to be booting up just great Then all of a sudden it gave me some clock error My brother told me what it meant but I forget Basically the computer had been doing too much at once or something So we powered it down and I pulled the watch battery of the motherboard for a minute Then I snapped it back into place This was supposed to reset something in order to fix the error We booted the computer up again This time it wouldn't read the drive at all It doesn't give me an F option If I press TAB at the right time I get a menu that lists the drives It isn't on there Just my floppy and my DVD drive I have no idea why All the cables are connected I'm starting to wonder if it might not be the hard drive at all I tried rebooting a million times and I keep getting the same result I can't figure it out My brother lives kms away so he can't actually look at the computer He threw his hands up in the air I desperately want to get this computer running so I can set up a recording program on it and finally record some music But I just can't afford to take the thing into a computer store Any help advice

A:Computer Won't Read Hard Drive on Boot-up.

As for the drive not being recognized now, you either don't have the power plug plugged in or the CMOS battery is not plugged in properly. Check you power connections and reset the battery. The computer looks to the Prim SATA channel first to boot off of, so you must have the SATA cable plugged in. You may need to look for a setting under Drives or SATA or something in the Bios that is set for Legacy or IDE not AHCI. Once that is set, the install disc should recognize the drive. If not then you will have to slipstream your SATA drivers for your motherboard into your XP Disc using nLite.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-wont-read-hard-drive-on-boot-up-408689.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Downloaded Windows 10 upgrade and now my computer won't boot at all all I get is blinking light on the caps lock button and the f12 internet light is on

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Computer-won-t-boot-up-no-noise-from-hard-drive-at-all/td-p/5598309
Relevancy 46.44%

Please help The prob started months ago and I just shelved the computer to work on later pulled it computer drive won't hard boot Windows from 98 out again this week and it worked fine Windows 98 computer won't boot from hard drive for a couple of days Now it s back My computer will not boot from it s hard drive searches for bootable drive and can t find one except for A and I never made a rescue disk The BIOS setup progarm can t find the hard drive Drive spins up fine cables in the case seem to be seated firmly sounds from the computer are normal I have a cd-rom drive and a cdrw drive the cd-rom is fine but the cdrw does not have any power at this point in the boot process And now on top of all this my moniter has just quit Windows 98 computer won't boot from hard drive coming on I don t have to have any of the data on the drive but I want to have the computer working I NEED advice I am stumped nbsp

A:Windows 98 computer won't boot from hard drive

In order for me to help you, you have to help me out and tell me some information about your computer.
How old is it?
What hardware devices are in it....etc...

BTW it sounds like the harddrive is going bad. Just cus it's spinning, doesn't mean it's working correctly. but since I have little info on your computer that was all i can come up with...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-98-computer-wont-boot-from-hard-drive.19607/
Relevancy 46.44%

I m having a couple of problems that started at the same time Sorry in advance for this post being so long Problem I restarted my computer with a disk in not drive. Computer up automatically hard boot from will the floppy disk drive I forgot it was in there It popped up and error telling me that the floppy was not a bootable disk and asked Computer will not automatically boot up from hard drive. me to insert a bootable floppy I took the disk out and tried to ESC out of the error message which didn t work I restarted the computer thinking that since the Computer will not automatically boot up from hard drive. floppy wasn t in there it would just boot up normally but it popped up another error saying that the computer was unable to boot up and to insert a bootable disk into the floppy drive I can t ESC out of this error either The exact error message is Boot Failure Insert BOOT diskette in A Press any key when ready The only way I can start windows is by hitting F and starting windows through the menu that comes up I tried a few things to fix the problem -I went into the bios setup program by hitting the DEL key at startup and looked at the boot order It had the floppy drive first I changed the order so that the hard drive was first and the floppy disk drive was second but it didn t fix the problem -In the F menu I tried starting with the last known good configuration That didn t work -I used system restore to restore the system to a point before the problems started but that didn t work either -I ran CHKDSK F R but no change Problem I also noticed that since this happened that windows will glitch up and I can no longer drag and drop icons on the desktop or in folders and one time the right-click menu and the start menu stopped working Everything else still works I can run programs browse the web and even drag program windows around with the mouse but the icons won t move I can temporarily fix the problem by restarting windows but the fix doesn t last long I don t think it s a virus or anything like that because everything was working fine until I tried to boot up with the floppy in the drive Anyone have any ideas on what might be causing these problems Any help will be greatly appreciated I m running Windows XP Service pack and everything is up to date up to the last few updates which were released after the problems started so I didn t want to install them while the computer is on the fritz I haven t recently installed any new software Thanks -PhilD p s Unfortunately my Windows XP disk is packed away in a box somewhere at the moment and I can t get to it I don t know if this ll matter to any fixes or not but I thought I should mention it

A:Computer will not automatically boot up from hard drive.

Let's start with the boot problem. IF the hd is the first item in the boot device order in bios and IF the drive and boot sector are good, the system will not even know there is a floppy drive during the boot process. I'm guessing you did not save the boot order when you made the change in bios - please check and see if the hd is still at the top of the device boot order. Also, just fyi - the /f switch in checkdisk is redundant if you use the /r switch. Just boot to the recovery console and run chkdsk /r

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/481906/computer-will-not-automatically-boot-up-from-hard-drive/
Relevancy 46.01%

I have an emachines T-2798 and the techs say the mother board is bad which they are replacing. In the meantime I bought a used HP Pavilion a350n. I have a backup hard drive that I made with XXClone that works perfectly on the emachine. Is there anyway to get the backup to work with the HP? I've got it working as a slave but I would like to have it as the boot drive but it doesn't seem to do it. I guess the different processor and computer does that?
I thought I had the downtime covered with a backup hard drive and then...the board goes bad.

A:Solved: Boot backup hard drive to new computer?

Way too different hardware configurations.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-boot-backup-hard-drive-to-new-computer.932141/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi everybody I am having a horrible problem with the disk drive OK let me explain By the way my OS is Windows XP Professional SP As my detailed explanation is very long let me tell you the summary of my problem first Summary I switched on my computer but an error message appeared saying quot Boot failure Insert BOOT disk into A Press any button when ready quot Used Windows CDROM and selected the repair Windows option But the repair process failed up can't boot hard Solved: disk detected! not and Computer because it said that there are no hard disks in my computer eventhough I have a primary disk and slave disk in my computer Used BOOT diskette Following options appeared First harddisk first partition First harddisk second partition First harddisk third partition First harddisk fourth partition Second harddisk first partition Second harddisk second partition Second harddisk third partition Second harddisk fourth partition Previous Operating System on C Selected first harddisk first partition Following error message appeared quot Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem Could not read from the selected boot disk Check boot path and disk hardware Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information quot Entered Solved: Computer can't boot up and hard disk not detected! BIOS Statistics showed that primary hard disk and slave hard disk not installed although I have a primary hard disk and slave hard disk in my computer Used auto detect Could not detect ANY primary and slave hard disk Solved: Computer can't boot up and hard disk not detected! on my computer Only CDROM and floppy drive detected Until now whenever I switched on the computer the message always appears quot Boot Failure Insert BOOT diskette into A Press any key when ready quot How to slove this problem Please help Detailed explanation It all started one night I switched on my computer to play my Solved: Computer can't boot up and hard disk not detected! games But suddenly when the system splash screen appeared it did not disappear like it usually would I waited for awhile It then disappeared But instead of seeing the Windows XP loading screen I suddenly saw quot Boot Failure Insert BOOT diskette into A Press any key when ready quot I was shocked The last time I used my computer it started up properly and also shut down properly I didn t modify my computer at all I then created a boot diskette using the same computer I used to post this thread After inserting it into my problematic computer it started In MSDOS mode it showed me a screen containing the following First harddisk first partition First harddisk second partition First harddisk third partition First harddisk fourth partition Second harddisk first partition Second harddisk second partition Second harddisk third partition Second harddisk fourth partition Previous Operating System on C I selected first harddisk first partition but it said quot Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem Could not read from the selected boot disk Check boot path and disk hardware Please check the Windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information quot Then I tried using the Windows CDROM to help boot up The disk started I could select options that is a Set up Windows b Repair Windows c Exit setup Of course I chose repair windows But a strange problem happened A message appeared from the CDROM saying that it could not detect any hard disks installed It said that a hard disk must be installed first then try again Repair process failure BUT I HAVE A HARD DISK IN MY COMPUTER WHAT ARE THEY TALKING ABOUT I HAVE A PRIMARY DISK AND A SLAVE DISK SO HOW COME THEY CAN T DETECT IT Then I entered BIOS to use it to detect my hard disks In the statistics I saw that the primary disk and slave disk are not installed I used... Read more

Relevancy 46.01%

i recently had blue screen error due to memory ram. i bought a new ram installed it now when i start my computer the hard drive light stays solid red i get no signal for my monitor. and the cd & cdrw (both are seperate slots) lights keep blinking even though i have no cd in them. please help!

A:Computer won't Boot, hard drive light stays on

clear the CMOS (best to unplug the system and pull out the battery on the motherboard)
Do that for 30 minutes then connect back and turn on the system. If you still have issues then the RAM Voltage is not compatible with your mother board.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-wont-boot-hard-drive-light-stays-on.140501/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi all,

Windows 7 doesn't boot while external drive is plugged in. The moment I take it out...it boots up.

Could anyone help me out?

Thank you in advance!

D

A:Computer doesnt boot external hard drive

When you say it does not boot up do you mean it does not power on or it boots to a blank screen. I am not sure this would be your problem but do you have USB set to be the first boot device in BIOS? 

Try the following steps here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576198/computer-doesnt-boot-external-hard-drive/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello everyone My problem occured this morning when I went to turn my computer on Normally it would boot up fine and go straight into windows However this morning when I turned it on the DOS screen came up showed my computer processor name and then froze Nomrally it would display my computer informtion because of the POST however the only thing it displays is my processor then everything Computer RAM, Boot...Windows, Drive, Hard POST? Won't freezes My computer beeps once as it normally does But you don't hear the sound of the hard drive booting up Also it completly freezes delete and F dont work it I have also tried booting off the Windows XP CD but it also doesnt work So I'm not quite sure what the problem is Does anyone possibly know how to fix this or what might be wrong Heres some of my computer info if its needed It's an AMD Anthlon XP with GB of Computer Won't Boot...Windows, RAM, Hard Drive, POST? RAM and a GB Maxtor hard drive Thanks for reading

A:Computer Won't Boot...Windows, RAM, Hard Drive, POST?

Hi,

Disconnect the hard drive and see if it will clear post and if you can enter bios.

What motherboard do you have?

if you get into bios check your boot order and set to

1st floppy
2nd cdrom
3rd hdd

Now see if you can boot from cd but don't do anything just let us know, if this works we will have you download some hdd manufactuers tools to check the drive

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-wont-boot-windows-ram-hard-drive-post-111713.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi all,

First post here, trying to fix my sister's computer.

Everything powers on, hard drive, fans, dvd drive etc, but will not boot. The hard drive makes 3 quiet clicking noises but that's it. The red 'working' light is not flashing.
I would have thought that the hard drive is dead but i have put it into another computer, wiped it and reinstalled windows and everything worked perfectly. However, once i put it back into my sister's computer it goes back to the 3 clicking noise, which makes me think it's another component.
Any ideas?

A:Computer Won't Boot - Hard Drive clicks 3 times

What brand/model PC is it?

Try unhooking both the CD/DVD and hard drive and see if it will post to the Bios setup screen.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/computer-wont-boot-hard-drive-clicks-3-times-644514.html
Relevancy 46.01%

I am unable to boot up my computer without the windows 7 installation disk. If I try without an installation disk, an error message comes up saying that there is no bootable device and a bootable disk must be inserted. However, when running the computer with the windows installation disk, it goes directly to the windows setup screen without prompting so. Then, to top it all off, when asked to select an existing drive to work with, no drive appears and thus, the selection box is blank. When trying system repair, the problem cannot be identified and system restore cannot fix the problem either. But, I am certain that the drive still works because it can be heard within the computer when it is working. What should I do? Nothing seems to work...

Jeff

A:Computer will not boot up and does not recognize the internal hard drive

Can you check your BIOS whether the hard disk are showing up or not?

it is the only way to tell whether your HDD is detect by the BIOS after the POST

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/computer-will-not-boot-up-and-does-not-recognize-the-internal-hard-drive-656386.html
Relevancy 46.01%

My hard drive light is amber and my computer will not power on. Battery light is white when power cord is plugged in. Ran updates earlier today and now computer will not power on.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/hard-drive-light-is-amber-computer-will-not-boot-on/td-p/5828998
Relevancy 46.01%

OK this has happened before but I overlooked what was causing it I posted a from Hard Solved: drive Computer boot wont thread about the previous problem here To make a long story short I added RAM into the computer and then it wouldn t load XP I was mixing ECC and non-ECC I thought that had something to do with it I reinstalled XP and it worked fine so heres the quot new quot problem I think I only shut down the computer once after reinstalling XP But I shut it down over night then when I turned it on the next Solved: Computer wont boot from Hard drive morning it wouldn t load XP It just hangs on the screen just before the Windows logo Solved: Computer wont boot from Hard drive screen is suppose to pop up The screen that says quot verifying DMI pool data quot I know it doesn t freeze because the cursor is still blinking at the bottom left I don t understand why this is happening I cant afford to reinstall Windows again because I have files on the HDD that I need to save Worst comes to worst I can slave the HDD on another computer to rescue them but I still want to try and get this HDD to work as normal on this machine I m thinking could it be some kind of driver problem Firmware or something Although I don t know why for two reasons everything else works fine and the motherboard is older then the hard drive The computer ran fine when I was using it The HDD is recognized in the BIOS Maybe this HDD is screwy Maybe some sort of incompatibility with this computer Any way this is a huge problem for me since this IS my backup computer Dell E Because of Microsoft s activation codes and what not I m forced to use Windows SE on an older HDD I have It took me forever to install my network card then because of the old browser it took forever to install everything else Windows update site couldn t even work on the version s browser Took me over an hour to install the audio drivers So I ve been enjoying blue screens of death and error messages like quot AOL has performed an illegal operation and has to shut down quot Haha remember those I didn t even have everything set up yet and I had start up error messages Damn Well I took care of all these problems this is all besides the point Any way I can t think of any more relevant information for this problem My computer stats are listed below I ll list all the info I can on the hard drive Thanks for any and all input DFI WT -EC MB RDRAM P CPU nVidia GeForce FX CD-RW DVD floppy drive XP w SP all up to date GB Seagate HDD Barracuda ATA V model ST A serial KCOH W Firmware edit I was just reading on the Seagate website that you don t need any special drivers and that the drivers are updated via Windows update nbsp

Relevancy 46.01%

Hi I believe this question best fits here rather than in the security section so here it goes I have a Dell Inspiron laptop which was running Windows XP service pack or off Hard Computer Cannot Boot Start Disk! Drive Two days ago my laptop began running extremely slowly which I believe to be the side effect of a virus The slow running happened immediately after I approved a program - I don't know which one- for outbound internet access Also I had not installed any software or hardware recently I had resolved to install some anti-virus software to correct the problem as the software I had was Cannot Start Computer off Hard Drive or Boot Disk! out of date but I found that my computer was running so slowly that I could not install or run programs anymore I decided I would reformat the disk I restarted the computer one last time to see if I could get a few word documents off that I want to retain and was given a blue screen which reads quot UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME Cannot Start Computer off Hard Drive or Boot Disk! quot then at the bottom of the screen reads quot Technical Information STOP OxOOOOOOED Ox F EE Oxc OxOOOOOOOO OxOOOOOOOO quot I have tried starting windows on subsequent attempts using the following options -Safe Mode -SafeMode with Networking -Safe Mode with Command Prompt -Last Known Good Configuration Each time getting the same quot UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME quot error I figured I should try and boot the computer off a bootable CD i e my Windows XP disk however when I change the boot sequence and try to boot off the CD I get the error quot No bootable devices--strike F to retry boot F for setup utility quot I have also tried going into the bios and loading all the default values for the startup fields without any luck Anyone here have any ideas

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-start-computer-off-hard-drive-or-boot-disk-296597.html
Relevancy 46.01%

OK Here is all disk Unable to Bad. computer. boot status S.M.A.R.T. Hard that I have done and the message HP Pavillion Intel My computer has been running slow the last few months I have run Adaware CCleaner and Norton AV and have found the usual spyware tracking cookies etc I did a disk clean up and then decided to run defragmenter yesterday I went and watched tv and came back to this screen Top left it says American Megatrend www ami com usb storage device auto detecting PRI master IDE hard disk bunch of lines showing devices Then Primary Master TQ - Samsung SV n Ultra D lt A Mode- S M A R T capable and status Bad Then at the bottom Primary master hard disk S M A R Unable to boot computer. Hard disk S.M.A.R.T. status Bad. T status bad backup and replace Press F for setup F to continue Here is what I did I pressed F and it started up normally I ran Norton AV and it ran through about files the last I checked I went and did something else I came back and the above screen was back I tried to press f again and it keeps going to the XP screen and back here in a loop I cannot load in safe mode or to an earlier time when it worked I did the f button but it goes to the computer setup and then back to this screen I turned it off and this screen pops up right away I did hear a few weird ticking noises like when you load a program before this happened Question Is my hard drive fried I have had this computer a few years probably all they last If it is--is there any way to get files off of it Go to Best Buy or something I have ALOT of songs I purchased from ITunes I would like to have and a bunch of family pictures And my taxes-already filed and printed just the info Please help Thanks Tony

A:Unable to boot computer. Hard disk S.M.A.R.T. status Bad.

The S.M.A.R.T. bad means that your hdd is failing, the clicking that you hear is know as the "click of death". I'm afraid you can count on the hdd failing completely.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/205854/unable-to-boot-computer-hard-disk-smart-status-bad/
Relevancy 46.01%

I'm new to sevenforums and would appreciate the help of some of you I have updated my user profile with all of the details and specs of my system that is having my issue Recently my computer will not wake up from sleep mode Once it enters sleep mode the only way to get it functioning again is to hold the power button completely shut it off and then boot my system back up It sleep, wake only not will hard Computer boot from solution appears as Computer will not wake from sleep, hard boot only solution if everything starts back up once I open the lid or press the power button to wake it up but the screen never turns back on The fan starts up the backlit Computer will not wake from sleep, hard boot only solution keyboard lights up the leds all blink but nothing I try will turn the screen back on forcing me to press and hold the power button for a complete shut down I have reinstalled the latest Intel HD Graphics driver as well as the latest NVIDIA graphics driver both the stable and beta release I do not get a Computer will not wake from sleep, hard boot only solution blue screen or any sort of error Upon the restart I am not prompted with any error from windows or any signs of the forced shut down I have been messing with this issue for a few days now and am asking for some help from the community here at sevenforums If you need any additional info let me know Thanks

A:Computer will not wake from sleep, hard boot only solution

Try the steps here: Sleep Mode Problems - Vista Forums

I would also work through the Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7

Report back the results you find for more steps indicated.

As a last resort use the tool the pro's use to find the exact cause: Gathering a Startup, Shutdown, Sleep, Hibernate, or Reboot Trace - Windows 7 Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/266722-computer-will-not-wake-sleep-hard-boot-only-solution.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I was on my desktop I think with not even a browser opened then suddenly lots of window error messages popped up saying a problem with a file in system folder I got pretty scared at that point and Virus or failed drive? Computer boot. hard wont planned to take a Computer wont boot. Virus or failed hard drive? screenshot but when I Computer wont boot. Virus or failed hard drive? went to start menu the paint program I usually go to wasn t listed so decided not to That s when a new error popped up but only once saying your hard drive has crashed or something like that I turned off my computer at that point and turned it back on but now it would only go to black screen thing that says something like Sec Master Disk LBA GB DDR at Bank s Sec Slave Disk None IDE Channel Master Disk HDD S M A R T capability ENABLED at first it said disabled but I enabled it not sure what it does PCI Device Listing bus dev fun vendor device svid ssid class device class C USB Host Cntrlr etc lots of stuff similar to the last lineAfter trying to turn off and on my computer a few times I tried to enter safe mode by pressing f but it wouldnt go to that screen like normally just would go to that same black page with all that text Then I tried going to the bios and changing the boot order to different things Then tried changing any settings in the bios that might make it work In the bios I also did the auto detect HDD and it was able to detect the hard drive After that I opened up my computer to listen to the hard drive to make sure it was making weird noises like it was damaged it sounded normal like the rest of the stuff running in my computer Then I asked some people what they thought was the problem and they said it wasnt a hard drive failure like I thought but some virus that corrupted system files or something I then tried to use avg kaspersky booting from a flash drive but I got some quot syslinux no default ui or configuration error quot so wasnt able to test that They suggested I use my windows CD to repair but I lost that CD so wasnt able to do that and not sure what exact windows version I had I just know its windows vista x What I am planning on trying next is to try to format my USB or whatever to be able to boot properly some free OS to maybe try to repair my system files with some anti virus no idea if that is possible Anyway still not sure if its a harddrive failure some really bad virus or something else I also want to know do I have to have the exact windows version to repair properly Like would I be able to repair with a windows vista x when I have windows vista x OR will windows vista x home premium work with home basic not sure which I had OR would windows laptop repair cd be able to repair my windows vista x I already tried and I couldnt get it to work but still wondering I wont be able to buy a new cd for like a week so would rather do something else to fix it faster

A:Computer wont boot. Virus or failed hard drive?

Hello and to the BC forums.

Please sit tight and be patient.

I have requested that an experienced helper who specialises in malware-related un-bootable computers respond to your topic.

Thank you.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/432844/computer-wont-boot-virus-or-failed-hard-drive/
Relevancy 45.15%

I'm using windows haven't had many problems until now I just moved into a new apartment and i worry it's some power related damage Windows boot from won't on or CD Computer Hard Startup, Drive. Freezes i don't know I had the computer running when i moved in Then i went to buy groceries came back accidentally kicked the power strip on off switch beneath the desk with my foot and windows hasn't started since When i start the computer i have full access to my bios if i boot Computer Freezes on Startup, won't boot from Windows CD or Hard Drive. from my HD i am shown a windows error recovery screen asking me to start windows startup repair or Computer Freezes on Startup, won't boot from Windows CD or Hard Drive. start windows normally Selecting startup repair gets me a loading bar then a black screen maybe after min i will get a blue screen like the background of the ui when installing windows If i start windows normally i get the windows logo then a very fast BSOD flash then the computer restarts Booting from my windows install disk lets me choose between install and repair language selection then it freezes and i get the same windows style back slash ad infinitum Thanks guys i really hope i don't have any permanent damage Anxiously awaiting your replies

A:Computer Freezes on Startup, won't boot from Windows CD or Hard Drive.

What Brand and Model PC?

Since you can get into the bios look for a PC(hardware) Health page and check the temps and voltage listings(12v, 5v, 3.3v).

If it a stock OEM PC reset to factory defaults save and exit the bios.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/computer-freezes-on-startup-wont-boot-from-windows-cd-or-hard-drive-660434.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I managed (don't know how)
a, to get my 8100 to fail to boot.
b, try an incorrect restore disc (that created an invalid partition)
c,then enable a hdd password i can't remember or bypass(using DELL)

If that lot doesn't seem unlucky enougth after loosing my mobile i now realise my (lil millenium bug) is the only HD with my childrens pictures on it.

Been diviorced with a real bunny boiler of an x i would be grateful for any asssistance in getting to the stored data...(that can't be replaced)

I aplologise if this thread isn't writen the best but is first forum i've ever visited...

Can anyone offer assistance as i would really like to be able to retrieve the pic's some taken 10yrs ago that can never be reproduced

Thanks in advance (a stupid beginner)......

A:Computer will no longer boot, how to retrieve data off hard drive ?

I'd suggest paying someone to do it professionally as then it will get done properly, as opposed to someone here telling you how to DIY.

Just my 2 cents.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-will-no-longer-boot-how-to-retrieve-data-off-hard-drive.86735/
Relevancy 45.15%

I just restored my computer to factory settings and it had me do an asus update (its an asus laptop) and now when ever I press the power botton I get a blank black screen no cursor or anything and my fan spins at full speed. I've had this problem in the past,but I do not remember how to fix it. I've tried unplugging everything and holding the power button for 30 seconds to a minute but that did not work.

A:Computer will not boot bios/hard drive wont spin up

Make sure the monitor cable and adapters connected securely. Can you login to BIOS setup utility screen, does the computer display any image or text on the monitor soon as you start the computer. Can you remember name of the update was is BIOS firmware update.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/582421/computer-will-not-boot-bioshard-drive-wont-spin-up/
Relevancy 45.15%

I recently received the blue screen of death I restarted it and it continuously gives me the error quot windows-delayed write failed quot and this happens for multiple quot folders quot or something files computer (when up) drive boot Backing on wont hard up Anyway after restarting again or just turning it off because I cannot click on Backing up files on hard drive (when computer wont boot up) anything it fails to boot up at all I cannot even do it in safe mode And when I could I couldn t do anything anyway I CANNOT lose my files and I was told to use the program UBUNTU to get the files off of my hard drive and then continue to reinstall windows to wipe everything out However I am very confused on how to do this They said that UBUNTU is a watered down version of windows and I should be able to get my data and save it somewhere else even though I cannot even get on my computer right now How will I be able to get this program off my CD when I put it in my CD drive if I can t do anything on my computer AHHHHH HELP PLEASE nbsp

Relevancy 45.15%

The Problem I have a Fully Functional USB External Hard Drive that does not appear in quot My Computer quot when my Laptop is quot Cold Booted quot It is identified in Device Manager under Disk Drives and under Universal Serial Listed in Hard Not My Computer Drive After External Boot Cold Bus Controllers as USB Mass Storage Device It also External Hard Drive Not Listed in My Computer After Cold Boot is listed in Disk Management with the status of Healthy Active and the correct Capacity However it does not show a letter assigned to Volume does not show the File System and is External Hard Drive Not Listed in My Computer After Cold Boot indicating that the entire External Hard Drive Not Listed in My Computer After Cold Boot capacity is Free which is not correct If I Unplug and Replug or Turn it Off and Back On every thing is as it should be i e The Drive Volume indicates quot I quot The File System is NTFS the Free Space is correct and the drive is identified in quot MY Computer quot Various things I have tried Un-installed the Drivers and let Windows reinstall them again Move the USB Cable to a different port and confirmed that no other devices are listed under quot Generic USB Hub Properties quot - gt quot Power quot - gt quot Attached Devices quot Un-Installed all items listed under quot Universal Serial Bus Controllers quot and let Windows reinstall them Changed all USB Root Hub - gt Power Management - gt Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power options to Unchecked Used a different cable Verified Bios Settings regarding USB and Plug and Play Attempted to search every Internet posting possible that had USB or External Hard drive associated with it Applied all Microsoft Updates several times Various other things but do not recall at this time Additional Comments I have several External Hard Drives that I have connected to my laptop at one time or another but I am only using one on a regular bases and leave it always connected Previously I have Cold Booted my Laptop and the external hard drive was listed with all other Drives in My Computer This has been going on for many months and I have not been able to find a solution I do not know of any changes updates or events that seem to have occurred around the time that I first noticed the drive was not being listed and I had to disconnect and reconnected it to make it work As I said before I am positive that my External USB Hard Drive has not required me to reset it before it would be fully recognized by the Operating System System Details OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version Service Pack Build System Manufacturer Dell Inc System Model Precision M System Type X -based PC Processor x Family Model Stepping Genuine Intel Mhz BIOS Version Date Dell Inc A SMBIOS Version Total Physical Memory MB Mouse Logitech USB Wheel Mouse Keyboard Microsoft Natural Multimedia Keyboard Connected via Standard PS cable Additional Monitor Dell FP Digital Dock Dell Docking Station which is always powered on with all devices attached If I have missed a detail which I am sure there may always be something please feel free to ask Thank you in advance for you help nbsp

A:External Hard Drive Not Listed in My Computer After Cold Boot

If it shows in Disk Management, try right clicking on device and select change drive letter.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-listed-in-my-computer-after-cold-boot.652718/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello,

My computer had a problem with the Board so I am trying to boot the hard disk (the O.S is Windows 7) in a diferent computer but when it Shows the Welcolme Screen I always get blue screen. The other computer is a diferent model but I had done this before With Windows XP and it Worked with some drivers problems but It worked.

It is not possible connect a Hard disk with Windows 7 in a diferent type of computer??.

Thank you.

A:Can not boot hard disk With Windows 7 in a diferent computer (BSOD)

Quote:
It is not possible connect a Hard disk with Windows 7 in a diferent type of computer??.

Some PC, yes, Some No.

Download the Paragon free try Rescue kit, this may/mayno work for you:
Rescue Kit Free Edition | PARAGON Software Group - free partition software, hard disk partitioning

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/265669-can-not-boot-hard-disk-windows-7-diferent-computer-bsod.html
Relevancy 45.15%

First off, I'm using Windows 98 SE. I have just installed a new 120 Gb Western Digital Hard Drive as my primary slave drive. BIOS successfully detected the new drive. I used the bootable diskette (as supplied by WD) to run the installation software, formatting and partitioning the drive as an additional device. This went successfully. However, when I reboot, I get the message:
"NO OS found. Insert OS setup disk and then press any key." Everything in BIOS seems to be okay, but I cannot get the computer to start up Windows from my original drive. When I unplug the new WD drive, everything works fine and the system boots up as normal.

A:computer will not boot after installation of new hard drive as primary slave

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-will-not-boot-after-installation-of-new-hard-drive-as-primary-slave.313081/
Relevancy 45.15%

My computer won't boot I took it to Geek Squad just this week and they said it's not a hardware problem and that it boots fine in safe mode Now that I have it home it won't boot at but docked laptop drive boot, won't hard Computer works to when all which is what it was doing before I took it to them I have no idea how they got it to boot Sometimes when I power it on it immediately powers off Most of the time the power stays on but nothing happens i e I can hear Computer won't boot, but hard drive works when docked to laptop the fans turn on or the drive spin Computer won't boot, but hard drive works when docked to laptop for a couple seconds but nothing happens on the monitor which is on and works I know this because I've connected the monitor to my laptop and it works fine So I'm unable to do anything with the function keys I've tried booting from the Windows CD a repair disk and a bootable hardware diagnostic tools CD and nothing happens i e the monitor remains black So I can't even run a system restore However I took the hard drive WD EADS out of the computer and using a docking station connected it to my laptop That worked fine and I was able to see all the files on the hard drive Is it possible for me to fix the hard drive while it's docked to my laptop Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

A:Computer won't boot, but hard drive works when docked to laptop

I'd like to know what's wrong with the computer and how to make it boot again. Of course I'd rather not erase everything on the hard drive (I know that, if need be, I can use the docking station, my laptop, and a new hard drive to back everything up). Thanks!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/303317-computer-wont-boot-but-hard-drive-works-when-docked-laptop.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Alright guys here's my question:

I am running a Vista Premium laptop and I would like to boot XP Pro from an external USB hard drive. This is a very important problem as I'm having compatibility issues with some of my programs.

I cannot partition my hard drive because the last time I tried it damaged essential system files and I had to reformat. I will not risk going through that process again. Besides, I'm already running low on space spending 10gigs on XP files won't help.
Any thoughts on how to do this?

A:Dual boot XP on a Vista computer using an External hard drive.

You can NOT run and Windows OS from a USB external drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-boot-xp-on-a-vista-computer-using-an-external-hard-drive.629165/
Relevancy 44.72%

Very confused here and not a hugely experienced IT person.

I decided to lean out the dust from inside my Alieware Aurora R3 today and so disconnected my hardrives (2 1tb drives in Raid 0) before putting them back after removing the dust. However I must have either connected the Sata cables to the wrong drives or put one in the wrong place or something, because now I can get past the boot screen on the computer

I have tried every combination of wires and putting them in this way or the other but still I get the Alienware bios boot screen, then it shows me the Intel information screen followed by a black screen with a cursor for a second...then just blank. THe computer continues to make noise but instantly turns off by pressing the shutdown button on the front.

What am I doing wrong here or what have I done wrong :/
Any help appreciated!!

A:computer wont boot up after taking out Raid 0 Hard drives and replacing

Update: on the boot splash screen pressing F2 and F12 does nothing

and the keyboard is connected and working

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-wont-boot-up-after-taking-out-raid-0-hard-drives-and-replacing.1124676/
Relevancy 44.72%

New custom computer running working. cold Hard Randomly Computer to boot New requiring Freezes get windows pro New Computer Randomly Hard Freezes requiring cold boot to get working. with SP I installed the Os and drivers from the Asus motherboard disk on the first day I got it and from the nd day the computer started having random freezes that vary from - times per day The first time was while watching a video after that freezes would occur during virtually anything Sometimes even just from leaving it on without being used These are hard freezes and a hard reboot is the only way to get the computer working again During the freeze the mouse cursor disappears audio stops if on and the keyboard and mouse produce no response whatsoever I can still open the dvd drive but that's it I've dealt with a lot of PC problems over the years using different computers but none like this When I check the Windows event viewer logs there's nothing I've been able to find about what's causing the freezes Just the error message of quot unexpected shutdown quot from me having to do a reboot I have quot WhoCrased quot installed on my computer and that reports nothing about the freezes either My temperatures seem to be fine I have quot CoreTemp quot installed and quot System Information for Windows quot I ran Memtest with no errors I flashed the Bios and there were less freezes for a few days Then they started reoccurring I ran a stress test with no problems I updated all of the drivers from the manufactures website My computer is Intel i rd Generation k Samsung Evo SSD as primary Harddrive Seagate TB HDD for storage an Asus H M-A Motherboard Crucial DDR Ram GB mhz Onboard graphics and Orion watt power supply I can post more specs about my computer In Bios settings it looks like almost everything is set to default and to automatically detect Other troubleshoots I've tried Troubleshoot Went on Intel Asus and Realtek player's site and updated all of the drivers Troubleshoot Checked computer for errors with sfc scannow None were found Troubleshoot Turned off all unnecessary services and start programs Troubleshoot Changed my Power setting to quot High Performance quot Troubleshoot Installed Windows Hotfixes for freezes Troubleshoot Installed all Windows updates Troubleshoot Resat The Ram in a different slot Troubleshoot Tested my Drives with Seagate fitness Troubleshoot Checked and replaced all of the cables connected to the Harddrives and tried different ports I can have the motherboard Cpu or whatever replaced but I'm trying to figure out what's causing the problem first All of the hardware is new As far as the SSD I used it for weeks before getting this computer so I don't think it's that

A:New Computer Randomly Hard Freezes requiring cold boot to get working.

Did you substitute another power supply? Did you reseat all connectors?
Another thing -you say that you Flashed the BIOS and that produced a temporary fix. You might want to contact Asus about the issue based on this alone.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/330901-new-computer-randomly-hard-freezes-requiring-cold-boot-get-working.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Very confused here and not a hugely experienced IT person.

I decided to lean out the dust from inside my Alieware Aurora R3 today and so disconnected my hardrives (2 1tb drives in Raid 0) before putting them back after removing the dust. However I must have either connected the Sata cables to the wrong drives or put one in the wrong place or something, because now I can get past the boot screen on the computer

I have tried every combination of wires and putting them in this way or the other but still I get the Alienware bios boot screen, then it shows me the Intel information screen followed by a black screen with a cursor for a second...then just blank. THe computer continues to make noise but instantly turns off by pressing the shutdown button on the front.

What am I doing wrong here or what have I done wrong :/
Any help appreciated!!

Relevancy 44.29%

How do I do a hard reset on my hp lap top

A:How do I do a hard reset on my hp lap top

Hi: Here is a link with information for how to do a hard reset... http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768/

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/How-do-I-do-a-hard-reset-on-my-hp-lap-top/td-p/5743314
Relevancy 44.29%

when using hardware buttons to perform hard reset it does'nt work. i cant reach recovery mode, the phone just powers on normally every time

A:why cant i do a hard reset

If you can't figure out the hardware keys, you can reset the phone through settings > about > reset my phone.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/443752-why-cant-i-do-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I need to run a hard reset on an Pavillion notebook as it won't start up at all/slowly. If I do this will it delete any saved files on the notebook as my daughter has all her exam work on it.Thx

A:Hard Reset

A reset will delete all of the files on the notebook. It is not a hard reset. that is something different. Have you tried booting to the usb recovery media that you should have created by now?If you do that, you can use Windows system restore to resolve the issue.  Do you see it below the Precautions heading in the image? Windows System refresh will also fix the issue without deleting any personal files.    

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Reset/td-p/5566689
Relevancy 44.29%

Will hard reset result in loss of valuable data (data in hard disk)?

A:Hard reset

No. A hard reset will not caue data loss.  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-reset/td-p/5788091
Relevancy 44.29%

Im locked out of my phone, and Ive tried to do all the steps for a hard reset and it doesnt work.
Tried - Volume down and power the phone keeps cycleing through the boot up with an (!) on the screen
Tried - Volume down, Volume up, power off, no change

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/439847-i-cant-hard-reset.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi so I have an HP Pavillion Elite HPE that I bought about two years ago new For the past few months what I assume to from whirring boot, Computer strange sounds hard coming dr minutes takes 8-10 is the hard drive has been making a strange Computer takes 8-10 minutes to boot, strange whirring sounds coming from hard dr loud whirring noise at odd intervals not necessarily when I'm opening programs or doing something I assume is processer intensive I've attached a recording of it so you can get an idea it sounds like different cycles are phasing and the tone oscillates up and down until it peters out i've noticed my computer seems noticeably slower these days with explorer often crashing the most disconcerting part is that whenever i restart it actually takes about - minutes to boot back up It gets past the Windows splash Computer takes 8-10 minutes to boot, strange whirring sounds coming from hard dr screen and just goes blank there for a long time then shows the desktop wallpaper and hangs there for forever too Any ideas here's a link to the sound http www zippyshare com v file html and here's some details regarding my computer's specs OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel reg Core i - CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card LogMeIn Mirror Driver Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB N Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard PEGATRON CORPORATION AB Antivirus avast Computer takes 8-10 minutes to boot, strange whirring sounds coming from hard dr Antivirus Updated and Enabled Thanks in advance

A:Computer takes 8-10 minutes to boot, strange whirring sounds coming from hard dr

Unfortunately the sound is very indistinct so I can't tell what's going on.

Please download and run Speccy.  Once the scan has completed:

Click File, and then click Publish Snapshot.
In the Publish Snapshot dialog box, click Yes to enable Speccy to proceed.
Speccy publishes the profile and displays a second Publish Snapshot dialog box.  Copy the URL to the clipboard, and paste it in your next post.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526646/computer-takes-8-10-minutes-to-boot-strange-whirring-sounds-coming-from-hard-dr/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi,I seem to have corrupt bios.  I was setting up the system with Xubuntu 16.04 so I went into the bios settings to change it from "Legacy" to "UEFI with CMS" after I saved it and rebooted it went to a blank screen with the backlight on.  Since then I've gone through the hard reset proceedures posted here using the external method with both of the bios versions posted. So far nothing has worked but it is accessing the usb drive and the screen backlight does come on and off but only in the early stages of the process.  After that, nothing! I've tried holding the "win" key and "b" for several minutes so I'm fairly sure I'm not letting go too early.  No flashing lights or beeps! So is this the right proceedure?  Any suggestions?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Hard-reset-on-a-14-d004au/td-p/5714711
Relevancy 43.86%

I shut down my laptop today and went shopping. When I came home, it wouldn't turn on. This has happened a couple of times before and I've tried giving it a hard reset. I tried turning it on without the battery and just the power cord and nothing. The light where the power cord goes in is on when it is plugged in. I tried everything and still won't start. My warranty for this laptop is gone and don't know what else to try. Please help!

A:Won't start. Tried hard reset and everything

Hi @krakaholyknight, Thank you for your query. I am happy to lend a helping hand. To confirm that I have the correct product, yours is a HP Stream Notebook-11-d007na? I understand that your notebook was working when you shut it down. When you tried turning it on again it would not start. This has occurred a couple of times before and a hard reset  resolved the issue. You tried removing the battery but that did not help. You do see a light on the power port when connected to AC power.  Here is a link to HP Notebook PCs - Computer Does Not Start (Windows 10). Please let me know the outcome. If this has helped you to resolve the issue, please click on "Accept as Solution" on said post. To show that you 'like', or are thankful for my post, kindly click the ?Thumbs Up? below. If there is anything else I can do to help, please be sure to let me know!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Won-t-start-Tried-hard-reset-and-everything/td-p/5760886
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi, I've been working on a computer that has had a lot of recent issues with its hard drive, and I'm getting tired of trying to fix it with the computer utilities. Could I have a link to instructions on how to completely reset my hard drive, erasing everything on it? The computer is a Dimension 8250 and doesn't have a warrantee any longer, nor does it have anything valuable on it, although I could easily transfer the few remaining files that I would like to keep onto another computer. I also have the XP boot disc, so I should be ready to do this. Thks.

A:Reset Hard Drive

Hi .

If "reset" means delete everything...

You can just use the XP CD...to delete everything on any drive, before creating a new partition/formatting/installing XP.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176180/reset-hard-drive/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hey guys I am frustrated I wanted to dual-boot Windows on my Windows Home Premium laptop and shrinked my Drive Hard Reset disk by about GB I went on to create a new volume as you can see in the screenshot below I actually re-installed Reset Hard Drive Windows and succesfully managed to do so but now when I boot the Windows installer I get to the quot select volume quot part and the only option I can choose is my Windows volume Windows II in the screenshot For every other volume all the options like formatting deleting and creating a new one are greyed out Trying to install on unallocated space also does not work Now I have almost given up I have got almost no space left on my active volume and can not increase it nor can I install a new operating system because it doesn't work any of the virtual volumes What I would like to do now is to either be able to extend my active volume or to reset the whole harddrive and to re-install Windows all over again Please help me sevenforums

A:Reset Hard Drive

Well, for starters your disk is dynamic - no good. If you want that many primary partitions, initialize it in GPT.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/367494-reset-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Is there any way to disable a hard reset of a laptop (i.e. holding the power button down for five seconds)? Could one use C sharp or something like this to achieve this goal? Any help would be appreciated.

A:Disable Hard Reset

There's usually a setting in the BIOS to control this behavior. In XP and Vista you can adjust the settings for the Power button in the Control Panel...Power Options applet.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/157338/disable-hard-reset/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hello,I have recently smashed my screen so i am using a tv screen with a HDMI cable. I was doing a PowerPoint presentation and then it froze so I restarted my NoteBook but when I went to turn it back on the screen remained blank but it does turn on. I have tried hard reset on the notebook but I can't see it in the HDMI tv screen. And was wondering if there is a way to get everything back up and running again? Thank You.

Solved!
View Solution.

A:HDMI Hard Reset.

Hello,Sorry just got everything sorted thanks.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/HDMI-Hard-Reset/td-p/5823200
Relevancy 43.86%

Product # N9T28AV (X360 15 inch convertibles)How do you do a "Hard Power Reset" as the battery is not accessible?...on older HP laptops with access to the battery, you would remove power plug, remove battery, hold the power button in for 30 seconds. Reassemble.I can find other reset references to different types of convertible devices but not the N9T28AVIf this is posted in the wrong section, please move to the correct locationIn anticipationThank you

A:Hard power reset

I asked HP about this earlier today.   There is no current documentation that describes how to hard reset an x360 notebook.   I have no idea as to how long it wil take before the Hard reset document is updated. As soon as it happens I will let you know. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Hard-power-reset/td-p/5450011
Relevancy 43.86%

i want to hard reset my laptop bac to out of the box factory settings but everytime i try it with the f11 option it keeps asking for a disc to continue. laptop didnt come with a operating system disc. and if i try to fully reset it throught the options menu it doesnt do anything, all it does is say this will take a moment then that screen closes and nothing ever happens it takes me back to my desktop but never resets my computer.

A:i can not hard reset my laptop

Hello, Your PC came with Windows 8.1. The Win 10 upgrade killed the recovery partition. You need an HP Recovery disc set . The Grzy

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/i-can-not-hard-reset-my-laptop/td-p/5825375
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi! I've a great problem. I've activated HP Drive Encryption with no fingerprint access and my tablet dowsn't recognize my password. I can't login and I don't know how to enter in the BIOS. How can I do a hard reset?Thanks!

A:Hard Reset on HP Elite X2

Hard reset documenthttp://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01684768/  You will need to contact HP directly for your issue. See the following web document for contact options.http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/help/contactHP/home/ 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Hard-Reset-on-HP-Elite-X2/td-p/5540680
Relevancy 43.86%

Initially I was facing a problem wherein the keys A,S,D,F and some other keys were not working. The mousepad was also not working fine. I searched the net and got a page that suggested hard reset. Hence, I did the followingStep 01. Turned OFF the NotebookStep 02. Un-plugged the Power/AC Adapter and also removed the BatteryStep 03. Pressed and Held the Power Button of the Notebook for a full minuteStep 04. Re-inserted the battery back in  As soon as I re-inserted the battery, the following happenedPower button with LED indicator - is continuously onBattery charging LED indicator - is continuously onPower/standby LED indicator - is continuously onScreen is blank. Nothing is displayed on screen If I remove the battery the lights shut down. As soon as I put the battery the lights are on. Pressing the power button continuouslt doesn't help. Can someone please help in resolving the issue and starting my laptop.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Video-Display-and-Touch/does-not-start-after-hard-reset/td-p/5679394
Relevancy 43.86%

My -month-old laptop was running poorly so I backed up my data to an external drive and used the Settings menu to reset the computer to its original state including deleting all data files nbsp The reset hung up at for many minutes without change so I tried a hard reset per the instructions on hard to reset Unable the HP Support website nbsp I removed the battery held down the Power button for seconds to discharge the capacitors reinstalled the battery and hit the Power button nbsp I get a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner for a few seconds then the HP logo appears for a few seconds then the screen goes dark nbsp This repeats endlessly nbsp No startup menu ever appears Ctrl-Alt-Del has no effect and repeating the hard reset instructions has no effect nbsp The startup seems to get caught in a never-ending loop nbsp I just want to reset the laptop to its original configuration Any suggestions nbsp nbsp

A:Unable to hard reset

There are other ways you could run Reset/Recovery:http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04758961

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Unable-to-hard-reset/td-p/5826966
Relevancy 43.86%

If I make a hard reset to my phone, will be deleted also the content of the memory card?

A:Hard reset WM10

If you initiate from the settings menu you will be asked whether or not to erase the SD card. If you initiate using the key combination from a phone that will not start, I don't know what the default behavior is. I suggest you remove the card before using the key combination just to be safe.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/438052-hard-reset-wm10.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi so I have an HP Pavillion Elite HPE that I bought about drive takes coming strange from to sounds hard whirring minutes 8-10 boot, Computer two years ago new For the past few months what I assume is the hard drive has been making a strange loud whirring noise at odd intervals not necessarily when I m opening programs or doing something I assume is processer Computer takes 8-10 minutes to boot, strange whirring sounds coming from hard drive intensive Computer takes 8-10 minutes to boot, strange whirring sounds coming from hard drive I ve attached a recording of it so you can get an idea it sounds Computer takes 8-10 minutes to boot, strange whirring sounds coming from hard drive like different cycles are phasing and the tone oscillates up and down until it peters out i ve noticed my computer seems noticeably slower these days with explorer often crashing the most disconcerting part is that whenever i restart it actually takes about - minutes to boot back up It gets past the Windows splash screen and just goes blank there for a long time then shows the desktop wallpaper and hangs there for forever too Any ideas here s a link to the sound http www zippyshare com v file html Oh and I tried running TSG SysInfo and it says it s not a valid Win application Thanks nbsp

A:Computer takes 8-10 minutes to boot, strange whirring sounds coming from hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-takes-8-10-minutes-to-boot-strange-whirring-sounds-coming-from-hard-drive.1121236/
Relevancy 43.43%

After working fine (well mostly) for the last couple of years, my network has been crashing for the last week or so. While connected to the internet, minding their own business, suddenly all 3 of my computers will lose internet access. I've tried everything, including following the instructions received on the D-Link help line (model DI-624), and I can get the system back up for a while, but inevitably it will crash again almost immediately. The only thing that has worked so far is doing a a hard reset (is that what it's called?) where you stick a paper clip into the reset hole and hold for 20 or so seconds.

Question 1: Does this mean my router must be replaced?

Question 2: Could the problem possibly be an adapter card in one of the clients? Would that cause the whole shebang to crash?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I am so frustrated!

A:D-Link Router Needs Hard Reset

'Could the problem possibly be an adapter card in one of the clients?'

Possibly.

The obvious test is to run only 1, and if it happens, keep alternating one out and another in. If all 3 get the router failure 1 at a time, then the router is toast. If single comp causes the fail, then the comp NIC is bad.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/d-link-router-needs-hard-reset.109730/