Windows Support Forum

Freeze - Black Screen - Can't Start Windows

Q: Freeze - Black Screen - Can't Start Windows

Was in the middle of writing an email when my screen froze for a minute or so, then computer shut down. When restarting I get option to repair or start windows normally. If I start normally I just get black screen for a while then computer shuts down again.
Tried the repair option several times but still the same outcome.
I am able to boot into safe mode. I have run chkdsk /r and if found no problems. I have tried setting back to the last two restore points and no luck.
Samsung NP700Z5B laptop Windows 7 Home Premium.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Freeze - Black Screen - Can't Start Windows

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Freeze - Black Screen - Can't Start Windows

could be a RAM defect. Try memtest86+, burn it on cd and boot from it for an overnight test

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550705/freeze-black-screen-cant-start-windows/
Relevancy 73.1%

A while back I downloaded a movie to watch Some flash player install file came up when I tried to open it and of course it was a virus Since Flash, Unable Programs, Black on Install Freeze Up Can't Start Virus/Malware Update Search to Screen Redirect, then I get search redirects have vitamax erectile ads on every ad box on pages am unable to update AVG or Spybot S amp D or Malwarebyte programs receive a script error when AVG tries Search Redirect, Unable to Install Flash, Can't Update Virus/Malware Programs, Black Screen Freeze on Start Up to run receive clean scans when I do run them just ran Malwarebyte full scan minutes ago found infections in files am unable to update or load Flash onto Firefox get occasional lockups when launching IE and most recently I freeze up at a black screen or at the log in page on Windows startup I am typing this in a Safe Mode launch of my PC Attached is the DDS file I also ran Hijack This and ComboFix if those logs are needed as well Thanks for any and all help I would like to avoid having to reformat my stuff DDS Ver - - - NTFSx NETWORK Run by Jeffery at on Tue Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT - AV AVG Anti-Virus Free On-access scanning enabled Outdated Running Processes E windows system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe E windows System svchost exe -k netsvcs svchost exe svchost exe E windows Explorer EXE E windows system ctfmon exe E windows system logonui exe E Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe E Documents and Settings Jeffery My Documents Downloads Firefox dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www yahoo com uSearch Page hxxp red clientapps yahoo com customize ptec defaults sp http www yahoo com uWindow Title Windows Internet Explorer provided by Yahoo uDefault Page URL hxxp www yahoo com uSearchMigratedDefaultURL hxxp search yahoo com search p searchTerms amp ei utf- amp fr b ie mDefault Page URL hxxp www yahoo com mStart Page hxxp www yahoo com uInternet Settings ProxyOverride local uSearchURL Default hxxp red clientapps yahoo com customize ptec defaults su http www yahoo com BHO D -C F - efb- B - ECA - No File BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper e f-c d - d -b d- b d be b - e program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelper dll BHO f d - - d - c -aa e ed - No File BHO AVG Safe Search ca f - f e- b -a e- e e c c - e program files avg avg avgssie dll BHO Spybot-S amp D IE Protection - f - d - - d f - e progra spybot SDHelper dll BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - c - d -b f - bbc d a e - e program files microsoft office office GrooveShellExtensions dll BHO SSVHelper Class bb-d f - c-b eb-d daf d d - e program files java jre bin ssv dll BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper dbc -a - b-bc - c c c a - e program files java jre bin jp ssv dll BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class e e f - ce- c -bc -eabfe f c - e program files java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll TB E C F -A A- F C- FEC-FD DC A F - No File TB AAC-C - - E A- E A E - No File EB - a - b-a - c a a - No File uRun Aim quot e program files aim aim exe quot d locale en-US ee aol imApp uRun BgMonitor E - C C- d f- C - D A B AA quot e program files common files ahead lib NMBgMonitor exe quot uRun DW quot e program files the weather channel fw desktop DesktopWeather exe quot uRun SpybotSD TeaTimer e program files spybot - search amp destroy TeaTimer exe uRun ctfmon exe e windows system ctfmon exe mRun JMB X IDE Setup e windows raidtool xInsIDE exe mRun X Raid Configurer e windows system xRaidSetup exe boot mRun GrooveMonitor quot e program files microsoft office office GrooveMonitor exe quot mRun Kernel and Hardware Abstraction Layer KHALMNPR EXE mRun Bluetooth Connection Assistant LBTWIZ EXE -silent mRun NeroFilterCheck e program files common files ahead lib NeroCheck exe mRun SecurDisc e program files nero nero incd NBHGui exe mRun InCD e program files nero nero incd InCD exe mRun RTHDCPL RTHDCPL EXE mRun Alcmtr ALCMTR EXE mRun SunJavaUpdateSched quot e program files java jre bin jusched exe quot m... Read more

A:Search Redirect, Unable to Install Flash, Can't Update Virus/Malware Programs, Black Screen Freeze on Start Up

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.comDDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERER,K

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/219338/search-redirect-unable-to-install-flash-cant-update-virusmalware-programs-black-screen-freeze-on-start-up/
Relevancy 72.67%

Hey all,
I am having problems with the screen freeing when running multiple windows (Chrome, office etc etc). When I try to swap between windows, I get a freeze and I am unable to do anything.
The cursor can be seen moving around the screen but has no effect in any area. The Windows Key doesn't ppear, nor can I tab into another programme.
If I try and start task manager to see which program is causing this, it will not appear over the frozen image.
Is there a way of telling from an event log what program is failing?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?93064-Screen-freeze-and-black-screen-with-problems-multiple-windows
Relevancy 72.67%

Hi screen windows (black screen startup BSOD and freeze all i have a problem with my pc it randomly freeze at startup BSOD (black screen and windows startup screen freeze getting me black white or distorted screens after min the pc reboot and all go normal this problem can come or times at the same time after the pc BSOD (black screen and windows startup screen freeze finish his reboot it get me an error like this Firma problema Nome evento problema BlueScreen Versione SO ID impostazioni locali Ulteriori informazioni sul problema BCCode BCP FFFFFA B C BCP FFFFF FECBAE BCP FFFFFFFFC A BCP OS Version Service Pack Product and if i go on operative center it get me this Firma del problema Nome evento problema LiveKernelEvent Versione SO ID impostazioni locali Ulteriori informazioni sul problema BCCode BCP FFFFFA AF F BCP FFFFF F C BCP BCP OS Version Service Pack Product ID bucket X x Tdr IMAGE nvlddmkm sys Informazioni sul server e f a - - b - f - c b d here are the information that i see in the bsod post introduction OS -windows x its an assembled pc by me and i ve installed original win Full reatil version the system have week i have upgrade it from an old one created by me year ago the OS has week i have re intsalled it after the upgrade cpu-- gt i K with an after market cooler video card- gt Nvidia GTX with afetr market cooler motherboard - gt asus p z -v gen power supply - gt corsair tx v System Manufacturer gt by me XD here are the output from Windows Vista jcgriff and from perfmon PS sorry for my bad english - -''

A:BSOD (black screen and windows startup screen freeze

Ok 116 error is caused by your Graphics card.
First thing to do is update your drivers from the NVIDIA website.

If BSODs continue Try HDD tests,
download gpu-z to check if your card is getting too hot, also is there lots of dust in the card?

Do you overclock your video card?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-black-screen-and-windows-startup-screen-freeze-622591.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I will just be generally using my laptop browsing the internet or using programs such as photoshop and my system will freeze up for about 10 seconds and then will turn to a black screen forcing me to shut the system down via the power button. This happens at least once a day and most commonly occurs when opening photoshop. My laptop is a Packard bell EasyNote TE69KB, ive been looking for solutions for days but nothing seemed to help.
Please help me if you can, thanks

A:Windows 8.1 freeze then black screen please help

Your computer might not be able to handle PhotoShop.

System requirements | Photoshop

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/39550-windows-8-1-freeze-then-black-screen-please-help.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Please help...

Windows XP SP3

I have often error on my laptop, suddenly my windows screen is black and freeze.

Details error:

source: system error
event id: 1003

description:
Error code 100000c5, parameter1 5776414a, parameter2 00000002, parameter3 00000001, parameter4 805515a1.

how to fix it?

A:Error Windows XP - suddenly black screen and freeze

"suddenly my windows screen is black and it freezes"...

What are you doing when the laptop freezes? Does the freezing show after some time? If so, the laptop may be overheating

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/error-windows-xp-suddenly-black-screen-and-freeze.174387/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi i m axl and i m quite desperate about the actual situation of my only windows installation i hope that someone here can help understand the problem because i ve been working hours trying almost every with lower Ultimate black 7 Windows Boot logo with screen freeze single fix with every single combination i could find on internet pc specs notebook hp pavillion dv entertainment no battery using o s specs windows ultimate edition x last operating scenario i was happily Boot freeze with black screen with lower Windows 7 Ultimate logo using windows everything worked perfectly my utorrent open and watching a film in streaming then i had the brilliant idea to try to install this shit software Windows Theme Installer Install Apply Delete Themes Easily - door windows to try change windows appereance i run it and it showed up some errors so i quit it before it would complete the installation closed utorrent and rebooted boom i got this shit screen without the possibility to do ANYTHING i can t open the task manager i can t send the computer in sleep mode the only buttons showing are the red one for shutdown and the handicap s one the only thing that s moving is the mouse pointer over the black screen and logo if someone could maybe know what files that shit theme installer changes i could try to reset them but i-ve also tried this a little searching in the registry for it s name shell and exploer exe seem to be working i tried everything from the windows repair and F mode i tried kaspersky recue disk i tried ubuntu linux things there s no error with the boot or the mbr windows boots normally and it just get stuck before the login loading module guaranteed there s no viruses or trojans as i run a scan with many antiviruses and antimalwares not so long ago i removed the theme pack i was trying to install but didn t help here is attached the ntbtlog

A:Boot freeze with black screen with lower Windows 7 Ultimate logo

i restored files and dll components that the shit-installer should have modified, except for this TwinUI.dll that i can`t find anymore in my windows system folder. i don`t know what that one is but windows is still stuck there exactly like before.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/346147-boot-freeze-black-screen-lower-windows-7-ultimate-logo.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hey there any help is much appreciated After a lot of headache ive realised that updating anything through windows update that requires a restart causes my computer screen to go black after the windows loading bar on startup If i leave the computer for about minutes it eventually opens the login screen and works as freeze comp on my black screen Windows update on making restart normal until i restart it again I can fix the problem by putting my windows disk in and doing a system restore but i want to fix the problem properly i would like to be able to update i have done a myriad of things to clean the computer including registry cleaning optimising startup list physically cleaning dust out of the box and fans etc as initialy i thought it was a hardware problem before i noticed it was windows update causing it thanks in advance for any help Adam p s some system specs if needed Windows Vista Home Premium Windows update making my comp freeze on black screen on restart bit ECS P M T-M Intel Core GHz gb ddr RAM geforce gs DirectX

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-update-making-my-comp-freeze-on-black-screen-on-restart-429763.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi Can someone please help me I'm a first-time forum user I've got an Acer Aspire laptop here that has decided to stop loading starting up When I turn the power button on - I can see the Acer logo screen and also get into setup if I press F - The cursor blinks won't Acer to / start screen start, Windows failed Black once or twice - Then the screen just goes black blank and stays that way Twice when I have left power on at the black screen I have eventually seen this Windows Boot Manager message maybe after minutes each time Windows failed to start A recent hardware of software change might be the cause To fix the problem Insert your Windows installation disc and restart the computer Acer won't start, Black screen / Windows failed to start Choose your language settings and then click quot Next quot Click quot Repair your computer quot If you do not have this disc contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance Status xc f Info The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible Unfortunately I do not have the Windows installation disk I have tried using a System Repair Disk on DVD burnt from another laptop with same OS but got stuck when the broken laptop didn't detect or couldn't read the disk I also tried the Alt F system recovery but after minutes on the quot Please wait a moment quot screen I gave up and turned the power off Please help Thanks

A:Acer won't start, Black screen / Windows failed to start

Hello noob and welcome to Seven Forums.

Can you get into Safe Mode via the Advanced Boot Options menu? If yes, you can check for damaged or corrupt system files by running a system file checker scan from an elevated command prompt (option two in the SFC tutorial.) If problems are found, run the scan 3 times and reboot the computer after each scan.

Safe Mode

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Another possibility from Safe Mode is to try rolling back your computer to a date/time prior to this problem occuring using a system restore point.

System Restore

If the above desn't help, one of the Forum experts prepared a troubleshooting guide for failure to start issues.

Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/261652-acer-wont-start-black-screen-windows-failed-start.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Please help?!?

Had a couple of laptop crashes and re-booted too quickly to log errors. Happened again today and since have been unable to get past entering my password in start-up. Enter my password and the screen freezes. Able to access my desk top via safe mode and the net via with networking where have added RegCure, but still the problems re-occurs. Also tried running virus scan in safe mode, again showing now threats, tried logging on as another user account with and without passwords and system restores to previous dates, all failing. Have checked the net for other possible solutions, but getting no where. Have no WP XP cd, so unable to perform recovery restore.

It's obviously something to do with the drivers or recently installed hardware, which I don't recall adding recently. These issues have occured whilst online and have the new NAV version.

Any ideas please?

Toshiba Satellite Pro user

Steve

A:Screen freeze following password in Windows XP SP2 start-up

when you say screen freezes it totally freezes or the mouse still moves but no icons come up and you cant access task manager?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/screen-freeze-following-password-in-windows-xp-sp2-start-up.105763/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi I would really appreciate any advice i've been trying to fix for four hours without any luck.

I have an Acer aspire 5732Z. I turn my laptop on and it shows the starting windows screen then just goes to a black screen with a cursor. I tried to do systems restore but it said that i did not have a system restore point. I cannot start in any safe mode.

I have all my pictures, uni work etc and im terrified i've lost it all. I've only had the laptop a year.

Any suggestion would be amazing

Thank you

A:Black screen after windows start up doesn't go to login screen

Hello seven11 and welcome to SevenForums!

I think this article will be fairly interesting to read.

Why is my screen black when I start Windows 7?

Carry on.
Frederik

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/196945-black-screen-after-windows-start-up-doesnt-go-login-screen.html
Relevancy 65.36%

A friend of mine asked me to look at his old XP machine because it simply will not fully startup. It does make it through the initial boot routine and the "Windows XP" splash screen appears but, shortly after that, the screen goes black. All you can see is a black screen with a white cursor in the middle of it. The system does not respond to mouse or keyboard input.

I used a Hiren's Boot CD boot disk to look around his system. He has about 40% free space left on the hard drive which seems to function correctly. I am presently running a virus scan (via the Hiren's Boot CD).

I've never seen an XP machine do this so I'm not sure what is going on. I believe he is running SP3 but I'm not certain of this because I can get it fully loaded to check.

Any help would be appreciated.

A:Windows XP Will Not Start - XP Spash Screen Then Black Screen

Can you boot into SAFE mode? If you can, try updating the video driver for starters.

Mike

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-will-not-start-xp-spash-screen-then-black-screen-532382.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Hi I Up 3 Loading Freeze Screen On Stays Sims Windows Game on XP After on Start have a new pc recently built about Windows XP Stays On Loading Screen on Start Up After Game Freeze on Sims 3 weeks ago and was working fine with everything to anything until I decided to installs the Sims I ll let you know that this first time this problem happened yesterday I formatted my pc and tried it again and have the same results Heres the details I installed Sims everything fine then I loaded the game up and on the loading the screen before choosing the town or load game to those familiar with the game and the game froze on the loading the cursor was still moving and could move it around the screen but I could not alt f or ctrl alt del out of it so I decided to just restart via reset button THe problems started after this I loaded up pc again but it was stuck on the Windows XP loading boot up screen the loading bar moves but it stay on there continously like in a loop So i booted in safe mode and it worked tried the chkdsk in command prompt and restarted but it won t do chkdsk and i tried it via the c drive gt properties gt tools etc and restarted and still won t do it So like i said i formatted it last time and loaded everything up everything was fine and now its done it again and I don t want to format but now it s not even letting me into safe mode normal with networking or with command prompt and it is very frustrating and I find it hard to believe a freeze on the sims would cause such damage to my pc so any help would be grateful I would like to say I have looked at other topics regarding this problem and tried system restore but to no avail and as i have said chkdsk is not working or im not doing something right Thanks just to add i un plug all usb ports welll i dont have that many connected just keyboard ext HD and wireless connector so i disconnected the ext HD lol views no replies awesome well i formatted my drive again cause I can t spend forever waiting as i need my pc but any opinions on how to fix and why would still be appreciated thanks nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-xp-stays-on-loading-screen-on-start-up-after-game-freeze-on-sims-3.152503/
Relevancy 64.5%

Whenever I turn on my computer which start won't (Black Windows XP Screen) is windows xp it wouldn t start It takes a longer time to load during the page where the bars goes on the screen and says quot Windows XP Windows XP won't start (Black Screen) quot After that part the computer just turns black the screen remains black for a long time Also the keyboard stops responding I think it doesn t respond because when I press quot Windows XP won't start (Black Screen) caps lock quot the light doesn t turn on like it usually does I am also unable to enter Safe Mode When I click enter safe mode a bunch of words pop up but then it stops responding at a point so I don t know what I did The point where it freezes is at quot windows system drivers mup sys quot Does anyone know what may be the cause of this or a solution I am quite sure that I did not install any software Thank you for the help I really appreciate it nbsp

Relevancy 64.5%

Hi first of all thanks so much Black Screen Windows 7 Start All-Just Not at Will for your help I have searched EVERYWHERE for this solution and have had no relief I try to research so I cn figure it out myself but I need help this time OS Windows Problem I first started having problems where I was able to get my comp started but the display was skewed and I hard to restart to that to fix I did that twice then it decided to not load at all the Windows 7 Will Not Start at All-Just Black Screen computer starts you hear the fan kick in and the comp trying to read the drive I tried a million and one times Then today it decided to start so I put that sucker Windows 7 Will Not Start at All-Just Black Screen in Windows 7 Will Not Start at All-Just Black Screen Safe Mode w Networking I ran Windows Defender Avast Quick Scan and I would get negative results I wasn't able to turn on Windows Secuirty on and it would not let me update my Avast definitions or turn it on I had to do a manual quick scan I wasn't convinced that I was virus free so I went to Panda Secuirty scan in the middle of that the display shut off the computer was on because the green indicator light was on but the computer was useless Also everytime I try to put it the fan kicks in you can hear the clicks of the computer trying to read the drive but I get a black screen and that's it I don't even get my Toshiba splash screen I've tried and have been unsuccessful doing the following Avast Scan Windows Defender Recovery Disc won't load or boot up from Repair Disc won't load or boot up from Avg Boot Utility on USB stick won't load or boot up from Removed the hard drive and put it back Removed the battery and tried to boot without it Removed the Ram and put it back in I don't even know what to try anymore Thanks in advance

A:Windows 7 Will Not Start at All-Just Black Screen

Unfortunately it sounds like hardware problems.  It's possible that your CD/DVD drive is the cause of your not being able to boot from discs, so I'd try cleaning it using an inexpensive kit you can buy at most stores that sell computers.  Since it won't boot from flash drives though, it might be more serious.  You could try getting a new SODIMM stick and replacing your existing RAM to see if it's the RAM since that's the next least expensive thing you could do (probably $25 give or take for a 2 GB DDR3).  If that doesn't work, I'd suspect motherboard problems, possibly bad caps.  That would be expensive to repair, possibly more than the value of the computer (I'd guess $250 to $300 in local repair shops).  If you have data you don't want to lose, you could remove the hard drive, put it in an enclosure, and plug it into a USB port on a working computer.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/536033/windows-7-will-not-start-at-all-just-black-screen/
Relevancy 64.5%

I've I install Windows 10 operating system on the computer .. The excuse I have a problem .. please help as the two began when the system shows I have an empty black screen ! .. I've watched all the videos extension has been discussed about this problem, but I have not found a solution. . When began operation gives me a black screen remains for a period ranging between 5-9 minutes and then turns to show me the desktop ! Please help me

waiting for reply ..
Thank you 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Black-screen-on-start-windows-10-64-bit/td-p/5619838
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi there,

When I tried to boot this morning, just at the point where the blue screen with the desktop choices should come up, the screen went black and nothing happened -- no drive access. I tried more than once; on subsequent tries I attempted to use "last settings that worked" or whatever that option is, but with the same result. I'm now on a backup hard drive I have in my machine, but I know the main drive is still working fine.

What should I do next?

Thanks so much for your help.

Best wishes,

Jason

Relevancy 64.5%

Hi everyone, I'm sort of new to these tech forums. I'm here to seek help for a problem I have when I start up my computer. Before windows loads up and brings me to the desktop, I get this black screen for 30 seconds, no error messages, nothing, just a 30 second black screen. I've tried so many things, but with no result. I realised it has something to do with the hard drive, or the way I install windows / create a new partition before I format, because I put my hard drive with its current xp installation in another computer, and I still got the 30 second black screen. I refered to the support part of the microsoft site for help, but that site needs help more than I do... Anyone know how to solve this problem? Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

A:30 second black screen before windows start up

does the same thing happen when you start in safe mode? you can select safe mode by pressing F8 when windows starts to boot.

if it doesn't you could start up as normal. then click on start>run
type
msconfig
then deselect all under the startup tab, except what ever antivirus software you have listed in there. see does that help.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/30-second-black-screen-before-windows-start-up-111162.html
Relevancy 64.5%

if i choose normal startup, it begins to load the and u can see the loading bar but then it just goes black........but the laptop is obviously still on just everything black. i can startup using safe mode though.

i think its because i shut it down manualy by pressing on the power button because its an old laptop and it seemed to freeze i had a bit torrent program on. but i used to do that all the time and have nothing happen to it. i froze once before too and i did the same thing and it could still startup fine.

its the first time iv had this problem with this laptop.

also iv tried to system restore to yesterdays date just a while ago and it didnt work.

A:cant start up windows, only goes to black screen

If you start up from safe mode and do a normal shut down then try and start up regularly, do you still get it shutting down on you?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cant-start-up-windows-only-goes-to-black-screen-461528.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I'm trying to connect my new pc with a SyncMaster 940bw monitir. The screen stays black during setup (BIOS) phase and operates flawlessly when windows XP Pro (SP3) starts. I check the pc in a lab and all hardware devices work flawless.

The system includes the following components:

Gigabyte GA-P43-ES3G intel P43
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz
Samsung 1TB 32 MB 7200RPM
Seasonic SS-500ET Active PFC
Transcend 2GB DDR2 800
Samsung DVD-RW SH-S223F x22
Gainward 9500GT 512MB GDDR2
I checked my device manager and found no exclamation symbol.

When I connect the unit to another Samsung monitor (SyncMaster 173v) and works as expected.

When I connect the SyncMaster 940bw to another unit, it works as expected.

Do you see and solution? Do you need more information? Iíll gladly provide.

Relevancy 64.5%

It seems every time i start up my pc i'm always getting this screen and can't get rid of it http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/billybobjoemoma/screen1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v348/billybobjoemoma/screen2.jpg

A:Black screen at the Windows XP start up

It;s difficut to read, but looks like it has found an error in PCI slot 1 . . what do you have in that slot?

Have you added anything new lately?

wrs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-at-the-windows-xp-start-up.340193/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi, I'm in trouble...I was about to use my friends new ASUS laptop this morning, and soon the Windows update started. But after a while, the battery was out because the plug was not connected. So that I restarted. But this time normal windows 7 looked like started with comment updating something. But it took very long time and next time when I looked at it, it was just black screen.

After that I shut it down and restarted. But nothing happened on the screen. I tried to press Alt+F10 at the same time, but didn't work.

Please someone let me know how to fix it!!! My friend said there was no recovery cd when he bought it.

Thanks in advance.

A:Black screen and cannot start windows

Hi,

I would suggest booting the system in ?Safe Mode/ Safe Mode with networking?. If the system boots fine in ?Safe Mode/ Safe Mode with networking? then I would suggest you to restore your system back to a date when it was working fine. System Restore will affect Windows system files, programs, and registry settings only.

For System Restore steps, you can refer to the URL mentioned: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/features/system-restore

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/260299-black-screen-cannot-start-windows.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello I've recently been having trouble getting Windows to boot normally on my desktop black Windows screen 7 start, won't Whenever I turn on my computer I see the Windows starting screen and then it hangs at a black screen There Windows 7 won't start, black screen are no error messages it's just a blank black screen I can boot into Safe Mode just fine I'm using Windows Home Premium -bit Service Pack I've tried Startup Repair Last Known Good Configuration updating drivers and none of those fixed it I ran a disc check in the System Recovery command prompt twice and both times it hangs for several Windows 7 won't start, black screen hours with the message Correcting error in index I for file Someone advised me that this could mean a failing HDD I know very little about hard drives so I wanted to get another opinion to see if that is truly the case or if there are other options I could explore before having to replace the HDD Any help I can get is greatly appreciated

A:Windows 7 won't start, black screen

Probably a failing hard drive.

[edit: Well, I should say Back up your files first,]

Run gsmartcontrol and do the short test (don't do the long test, because it would be better to backup your files first before stressing the drive) and look at the SMART info on there. That will tell you if the drive is failing.

Then, if it is failing, first backup any files you don't want to lose, then, if it's a seagate drive, burn the iso of seatools for dos and burn it to a cd and boot to the cd. From there you can "repair" the drive, but keep in mind the drive is no longer trustworthy (assuming it is actually failing), this "repair" just hides the broken sectors of the drive basically, so windows will run better. Then the drive will either keep getting worse, or be ok for a long time (no way to know).

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/552579/windows-7-wont-start-black-screen/
Relevancy 64.5%

When I turn on my laptop, it says "starting windows" then after awhile goes into black screen and stays there, will not do anything else, not sure what to do here as I dont want to screw it up any further, suggestion are greatly appreciated and please let me know if further info is needed, thank you!

Windows 7 MSI A6200

Relevancy 64.5%

Hello guys,
I am facing a strange issue, whenever I start my system after the Windows XP load screen there is no display/black screen but I can hear the Windows XP load music/sound however if I restart my system by pressing the restart button of my CPU windows loads normally and I am able to view everything. I formatted my system and installed a clean version of XP SP3, downloaded and installed latest video drivers. Also have 2x1GB RAM which I interchanged but still I am facing the problem. Can you guys please help me out in fixing the issue? Thanks !

A:Black/ No screen after Windows XP Start up

Gotta be the vid card then.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/505206/black-no-screen-after-windows-xp-start-up/
Relevancy 64.5%

When I start the computer (DELL Inspiron 610) it runs the DELL screen giving the Option for F2 (Bios) or F12 (Boot Option).

Then goes to a black screen with curser. Nothing can be done on that screen.

I have ran the XP Reinstall software for Recovery. That takes me to a C:\Windows prompt in a DOS screen. I can CD C: and see all the files. Did a CHKDSK /r and everything was fine.

I ran the Reinstall to Repair the current install. Goes through the whole Windows install process with the 100% progress bar and then restarts. STILL goes to black screen.

I then ran a complete reinstall of Windows. Same outcome.

I pulled the hard drive and can open all the files using it as an external drive. So it seems to be OK.

What must I do to boot up???

Thanks

A:Windows will not start - black screen

You can boot into console mode (using recovery option).
Can you press F8 and boot into windows safe mode?
I think you are missing a graphics driver and your windows is booting into a resolution
that your monitor cannot display.

Booting into safemode then trying to install either monitor ot graphics card drivers may
fix this,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-will-not-start-black-screen-506821.html
Relevancy 64.5%

hi all i got pc with win pro sp3 and when i turn it on i get black screen saying NTLDR is missing press ctrl alt delete to restart but thats all it does is restart then back to same thing please help as i do not want to reformat as i will lose everything . but if this is only way then is there anyway to save my photos applications etc thanks in advance

A:Windows Pro SP3 black screen on start up

hi found compaq recovery disc so tried a press r for recovery its done but now still blk screen but msg now says NTLDR is compressed help help i dont want to do full reformat as will lose everything

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-pro-sp3-black-screen-on-start-up.180036/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello! I just encounter a problem with my asus desktop i had this for about 3 years now and this is the first time I saw this black screen. Anyway, just as I stated aove, I have a black screen on when I start my pc. I don't hear any beep when I turn it on, i hear the fan working though. I did try to clean the fan and take the gpu out but that won't seems to solve it. Anyone know what seems to be the problem? I'm really not that techy about pc. Is the problem the hard drive, gpu, motherboard or anything else? I need help badly. Thanks in advance!

Asus desktop
16gbram
Amd radeon hd 7850
1tb hd
Stock fans

A:Black screen windows won't start

See if a BIOS hardware/software reset fixes the problem. It often does in these strange situations.
Shut down and turn off the computer.
Unplug the computer from the wall or surge protector.
"Remove the computer from any port replicator or docking station, disconnect cables to printers or devices such as external monitors, USB memory sticks or SD cards, headset or external speakers, mouse or auxiliary keyboard, turn off WIFI and Bluetooth wireless devices." ( Use Hard Reset to Resolve Hardware and Software Issues HP Pavilion dv5000 Notebook PC series - HP Customer Care (United States - English)).
Hold down the power button for 30 seconds. This closes the circuit and ensures all power from components is drained to clear the software connections between the BIOS and hardware and clear any corruption in the temporary memory.
Plug the computer back into the wall. Do not reconnect any unnecessary peripherals; monitor, keyboard, and mouse should suffice and be the only peripherals reconnected.
Turn it on to reinitialize the software connections between the BIOS and hardware.

-----

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/black-screen-windows-wont-start-679254.html
Relevancy 64.5%

My computer had started acting a little funny before this issue had arived It showed a significant slowdown on startup and applications took a while to start and sometimes would not work at all but i did not address the issue because i did not install anything recently other than software to enable a ps controller on my computer from motioninjoy I have heard seen many negative things about this program and regret ever installing it on my computer Also the emulator I was using was pcsx I am not able to start in safe mode because the screen goes black before i get the chance I only get the initial boot up screen where i can press f or f and then it goes black i have been using my computer on this particular setup for months now and nothing has ever caused a problem please help me i need this computer for school work my specs are dell studio xps radeon hd gb ram intel i hooked up to a hp w a monitor using a dvi connection some additional information when left on for an extended period of time my graphics card starts to work hard but nothing comes up and the screen evenually turns a pale blue not the normal bluescreen and no text comes up I think it is a driver issue but I am not sure any feed back would be appreciated

A:Windows 7 Black Screen on start up

Do a System Restore to before you installed the ps3 controller software, see if that resolves the problem. The easiest way to start SR is click on Start then type system restore and press enter.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/310552-windows-7-black-screen-start-up.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Lost and confused I recently added some security software on to my computer And everything was great rebooted after installation ran everything it asked me to It was a registered copy no bootlegs I did buy it from a comp store Of coarse no one there could help me those sorry a lil frustrated anyway I started the computer up to show this great software off and i not Windows will xp black help!!!! only screen! start, get the compaq screen with the F F ect prompts then a black screen sometimes after i Windows xp will not start, only black screen! help!!!! reset it again it will act as if windowsxp is loading with the progress green bar under windowsxp then agian a black screen any advice will be much appreciated I was advised to use safe mode f key after compaq logo and sometimes i will get the safe mode sometimes i wont only when i get into the safe mode i can t highlight anything with the arrows the keyboard is still working i checked the num lock and the light does go on and off but nothing gt it is a desktop nbsp

A:Windows xp will not start, only black screen! help!!!!

OH it is a PC!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-will-not-start-only-black-screen-help.849123/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello.,

this is so frustrating.

i have a computer suddenly just happend to do this ;
the screen goes all black when windows starts,
i did the following to try to fix the problem
- format and reinstall windows XP but still it goes to black as soon as windows try to start.
- format and reinstall win ME, same thing
- change hard drive, thinking may be the MBR is curropted, still doing same thinkg on the other hard drive.
- look into the BOIS try to see what has changes, nothing
- the question, whay suddenly
- what happened
- how can i fix it

A:black screen when windows start

So can you still get to bios? I have seen a problem where a computer would start to load up, go through to the xp splash screen then everything would go black. It looked as though the monitor was turning off. It turned out to be a video problem. The way i got around it was to use a tv through the video card and i re-installed the video drivers. But i don't know if you have that option. What video card do you have?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/black-screen-when-windows-start.276636/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi guys I currently have a laptop with a problem I have tried searching google but the problem seems to be a bit different than all the ones I found When I turn on the laptop it loads as normal to which I can go to bios etc but once the page is passed the laptop turns to a black screen and in the top left corner the white flashes once and then that is it I cannot get passed this point I have tried loading up in recovery etc but the same thing happens and will not pass the black screen I will run a windows disc Windows 7 start on Black screen up tonight and see if it will accept that but for now I am stuck at work so I am just wondering if there are any other solutions that may get me passed this screen in advance Thank you ---------------------------------------------------------------- Just as an update I left it on the blank screen and kept checking back and after about an hour it went to the home screen and seem to work fine from there I restarted to see what happens and Windows 7 Black screen on start up I am at the black screen again Is there any tests I Windows 7 Black screen on start up can do once it loads up again Thanks

A:Windows 7 Black screen on start up

Quote: Originally Posted by Harlem

Hi guys, I currently have a laptop with a problem.
I have tried searching google but the problem seems to be a bit different than all the ones I found.

When I turn on the laptop, it loads as normal, to which I can go to bios, etc, but once the page is passed, the laptop turns to a black screen, and in the top left corner the white _ flashes once, and then that is it, I cannot get passed this point.

I have tried loading up in recovery etc, but the same thing happens, and will not pass the black screen.

I will run a windows disc tonight and see if it will accept that, but for now I am stuck at work so I am just wondering if there are any other solutions that may get me passed this screen in advance.

Thank you

----------------------------------------------------------------

Just as an update, I left it on the blank screen and kept checking back, and after about an hour it went to the home screen and seem to work fine from there.

I restarted to see what happens and I am at the black screen again.

Is there any tests I can do once it loads up again.

Thanks

Hi Harlem,

I understand that system is working fine at the moment. However, you can check the below link which might be useful if this problem happens in future as well.

Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Boot

Also, update your system specs here by following this.

If you have any further queries, please feel free to contact us.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/301861-windows-7-black-screen-start-up.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi there I'm new to the forum so on 8.1 Black screen up after upgrade windows start i hope this thread is where it should be I believe this might be a BSOD issue but yet again I'm not computer wiz I've just upgraded from windows to windows via the Windows Store Prior to upgrade i had no issues whatsoever with the windows before the upgrade i ran the Windows Upgrade Assistant And found only softwares to have conflict with the upgrade these are as followed Apple QuickTime iTunes and Bitdefender Total Security - Version I uninstalled both of the apple software's and upgraded the Bitdefender to a version compatible with Windows I had no issues with the download amp Black screen on start up after windows 8.1 upgrade installation of windows however the instant between windows loading screen and the switch to user log in screen is blank black for a good minutes if Black screen on start up after windows 8.1 upgrade not more Normally after the shut down screen the computer would power off completely however now my computer screen is blank black and the computer is still powered on for about - minutes I know that it is on as all the fans HDD LED are active This time fluctuates and I'm not sure why I've checked with windows update and no updates are available all of my softwares and third party applications are up to date On Microsoft Community forum and so on all i can say is that there are many others experiencing a issue only with a blinking cursor and their circumstances are different so i don't believe its related I've updated my BIOS to the current version and my display driver and chipset are up-to-date all drivers offered on the asus website i even installed the realtek sound driver which i wasn't using previously Reset BIOS removed battery for CMOS removed all components -by- ran CHKDSK no problem found only standard keyboard mouse display connected no change whatsoever I've tried safe mode and its the same only the transition to logging in and shutting down have improved slightly Tried clean boot at the result was the same Checked the WER and found a lot of this quot DRIVER POWER STATE FAILURE x f quot I've already run the SF diagnostic tool and will load the zip file here Hopeful someone can help me out as i rather not do a clean install of windows and I'm not sure if restoring my pc to windows before the upgrade will resolve the issue if it is driver related

A:Black screen on start up after windows 8.1 upgrade

Originally Posted by 8years

Bitdefender Total Security

Normally after the shut down screen the computer would power off completely, however now my computer screen is blank/black and the computer is still powered on for about 10-15 minutes

There's your problem right there. Logs or nothing like that tell me this. It's just something I know.

This below really needs to be removed for a stable machine, but if you really need this badly for something, you can instead try to update it or leave it be if there is no update, after you see how BitDefender removal fixes your shutdown issues. But at a very basic level, it needs to go:

Code:
0: kd> lmvm vuhub
start end module name
fffff800`01a4c000 fffff800`01a5b000 vuhub (deferred)
Image path: \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\vuhub.sys
Image name: vuhub.sys
Timestamp: Fri Nov 16 10:31:13 2007 (473DB7C1)
CheckSum: 0000C82F
ImageSize: 0000F000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4

Driver Reference Table - vuhub.sys

USB was responsible for your crashes. Highly likely BitDefender as cause of that too (or the vuhub driver above). For good measure, update USB 3.0 driver from motherboard maker, if available and install any updates available to anything you connect to the machine by USB at all.

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/38918-black-screen-start-up-after-windows-8-1-upgrade.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi, I think my PC has updated from Windows 8/8.1 to 10. Now, when swithching on the device there appears to be no signal coming from the PC to the monitor and the monitor goes in to sleep mode. Keyboard or mouse activity has zero effect. The monitor and cable functions as I have used it as a screen extension from a laptop. Any ideas/solutions would be greatly appreciated.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Computer-will-not-start-black-screen-Windows/td-p/5807512
Relevancy 64.07%

I turned on my computer (Compaq Presario 5000--Windows xp) this morning to find that it could not get past the Compaq screen. Seemed to be frozen. Couldn't even get to Safe Mode. I switched it off and restarted only to get the same results. Upon searching on line for hours to find a solution, I disconnected all power supplies and pulled the battery off the motherboard. Now I get nothing but a black screen with a small blinking line in the upper left hand corner with a v01.05 in the bottom left hand corner and a Compaq (F10=Setup) in bottom right corner. Is it time for a new computer?? And if so... is there any way I can get some info off it before I toss it? I back up often but there are a few pics I would like to have. Thanks for any info you may have for me!!

A:Compaq black screen... no Windows start up

Worth a look, http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=96382&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=96382&objectID=nph00225 .

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/419633/compaq-black-screen-no-windows-start-up/
Relevancy 64.07%

When I start up my computer I have a black screen show up.... I then have to choose between two windows 7 which are highlighted....

I can enter down and go to safe mode or other options.
I do not know why this is happening on each start-up.
I think perhaps there are still two copies of the windows 7 Operating system on the computer. I had to do a reinstall and I assume one was not removed.

How can I correct this situation?

Thanks for your support.....

A:Black screen and two windows 7 to choose to start-up

you cam try the, following:
open "system configurations" (msconfig), on the boot tab (second one), in the window should be all your booting options, delete the one you don't want to be there.
just make sure you are in the correct windows.

i would feel more comfortable if someone can assure that what i wrote is correct.
i did it to my computer and it turned out okay.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/98475-black-screen-two-windows-7-choose-start-up.html
Relevancy 64.07%

My screen goes black in the early stages of bootup. I can start safe mode and have done a system restore to like 9 days ago before Windows Update but my computer still will not start normally. Read some advice that this may be due to conflict with Vista Update and I have asked and recieved via email a hotfix application from Microsoft but this will also not run when the computer is in safe mode. I have also uninstalled recent Windows updates (10th Feb). I have also scanned using Zone Alarm and no virus was found.In Device Manager, I found that 6TO4 network adaptor cannot start. I have searched this forum and did not find a solution. Kindly assist! Thanks!

A:Black screen on Windows Vista start up

I have also scanned using Zone Alarm and no virus was foundZone Alarm is a firewall Program not an AVIf you can see your screen in safe mode, it's a driver problemWhen in safe mode, see if you can roll back to a previous video driver.From Device Manager, expand Display adapters, right-click on your adapter & choose Properties, select the Driver tab & click Roll Back Driver.If Roll Back Driver is not an option, it means no driver is available to roll back toThen I'd try installing an updated driver for your display adapter.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/297418/black-screen-on-windows-vista-start-up/
Relevancy 64.07%

I relocated my 500gb hdd to insite. Before i had it as exernal hdd. But i get black screen when i start my pc. I get even if i remove it.in black screen here is also flashing "_". When i installed win7 i didnt have it coneted witht pc. Sorry if here is some miss spells using mobile to write.

A:windows dont start, black screen

Your USB devices may have tried to protect themselves from a power surge and shut down. Do the following to reset the ports. Shut down and turn off the computer.
Unplug the computer from the wall or surge protector (then remove the battery if it is a laptop).
Hold down the power button for 30 seconds. This closes the circuit and ensures all power from components is drained to clear the software connections between the BIOS and hardware and clear any corruption in the temporary memory.
(If it is a laptop, plug the battery back into the laptop and then) Plug the computer back into the wall.
Turn it on to reinitialize the software connections between the BIOS and hardware, and post back your results.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/213142-windows-dont-start-black-screen.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi guys,

my computer don't start there is only black screen and nothing is happening. After restarting it few times somehow it started. Please if you can look on the .dmp file I attached if there is any clue to what the problem might be. I tried some antivirus scans but nothing popped up.

Thanks a lot.

A:windows dont start only black screen

please post the following: Windows Genuine and Activation Issue Posting Instructions

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/281250-windows-dont-start-only-black-screen.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Windows AMD t Thuban Cpu 7 won't Black Screen Issue Windows start GB Ram Asus Extreme Crosshair motherboard Dual Radeon GPU's watt power supply The CPU and one of the graphics cards is water cooled I have been using my custom built computer Windows 7 won't start Black Screen Issue for about a year and a half now with no real problems but recently I have been moving it around quite a bit The problem is that this last time I was setting it up it booted to the motherboard logo and then froze I tried to get to the bios or any ware else but it would not do anything I restarted it but this time the logo screen did not even show With my motherboard beeps once to show that my components are working properly and this is one of the reasons I am confused because it does I Windows 7 won't start Black Screen Issue checked my hard drive to see if it spins up and from what I can hear it is working I noticed that when it is booting up some labeled lights flash then go away but now the one labeled boot stays on My Cpu always ran around c and topped around c so I don't think overheating could be the problem If you have any ideas or suggestions they would be much appreciated

A:Windows 7 won't start Black Screen Issue

Hi and welcome to TSF check all the cables and connections also reseat your ram and graphics cards and ensure the heatsink and fan is properly seated and secured

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-wont-start-black-screen-issue-669673.html
Relevancy 64.07%

hi guys,on my second computer,at the very start i get the black screen with f2 or f12 then i get this message-windows can not start because of problem with software:load needed dlls for kernal......plz help!

A:black screen then message saying windows can not start

What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/375279/black-screen-then-message-saying-windows-can-not-start/
Relevancy 64.07%

my hp notebook has a black screen with a white curser. i have tried a recovery disc, running a system diagnostic which tells me it all passed, i have tried a hard reset, and my safe mode wont come up. i have tried just about everything someone please help.

A:windows 7 wont start up and gives me a black screen

For some reason your OS partition may not be set to active, or your boot order in your bios may be wrong. First thing I would check your boot order in the bios, and check to make sure it can see your hard drive.

How to set a partition to active, I found a thorough guide here.

http://www.thpc.info/how/make_active.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-wont-start-up-and-gives-me-a-black-screen.1081077/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello, the other day I installed a SkinPack for Windows 8.1, using SkinPacks.com. However, when I uninstalled the skinpack, I was greeted with a completely black screen. My computer starts up, I get the login screen, I login and the screen is completely black. Though I am still able to use Task Manager through Ctrl+alt+Delete and any other option in there.

Anyone have a fix to this, or a way I can use System Restore without having to login? ( Note, I upgraded to Windows 8.1 digitally )

A:Windows 8.1 | Start-up problem | Black screen

Try the suggestions near the bottom of the page. It appears to be a common problem where it hasn't uninstalled properly. I woul boot in safe mode. Whislt you are at the login screen, don't login but hold down the shift key (keep holding it) and click restart from the icon in the bottom right corner. You can either try to deleted the files or restore from safe mode.

Good luck

edit: link here
Help & FAQ | Skin Pack

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/36917-windows-8-1-start-up-problem-black-screen.html
Relevancy 64.07%

windows did an update now every time i start up my computer i get a black screen i can get taskm working and i can get programs to work, thats how im asking this now. how do i fix this? also there is no task bar.

A:black screen on start up after windows 7 update

So you get logon? But no deskopt at all, all is black? Any text cursor? if so, is it blinking?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/282198-black-screen-start-up-after-windows-7-update.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi I have checked several forums but did not help me very much so I post it here I have an screen with black at freezes start-up Windows older system and was using Linux Pardus dist for a while and since I wanted to check some games I have tried to installed windows xp sp I have the following configuration amd asus a v x-x bios updated gb Windows freezes with black screen at start-up ide Samsung n hdd cdrom mb ram msi radeon pro rx red with rv gpu tv card winfast expert xp monitor connected via vga new psu W For linux i use a different hdd gb but everything works fine I have installed winxp pro sp but my computer is crashing on every startup with a black screen after the winlogo I tried several video drivers omega catalyst old drivers supplied with graphic card I manage sometimes to see the desktop which ends in some seconds as black and frozen I can startup in safe mode and in vga mode Windows freezes with black screen at start-up I think it might be a driver problem but dont know what should i try next Thanks andro nbsp

A:Windows freezes with black screen at start-up

If you installed Windows to an added partition, after having already installed Linux, that could be the problem. Windows XP must usually be installed first, unless you know all the tricks.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-freezes-with-black-screen-at-start-up.104097/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello I have been asked to try to fix a friends son s laptop It is a Toshiba Satellite L -S When powering it up I get the Toshiba start up screen and I can 7 Black Windows start fails Screen up. to hear the fan working It seems to proceed Windows 7 fails to start up. Black Screen normally then a screen comes up that says windows failed to start A recent hardware or software change may be the cause I am not aware of any changes to either one I get two choices Launch start up repair recommended and Windows 7 fails to start up. Black Screen start windows normally With either choice it attempts to start up but then the screen stays black I can move the cursor around normally but that is as far as it goes I can get Windows 7 fails to start up. Black Screen to the bios using f The version is which appears to be the latest I can also get to the advanced options I have tried the repair your computer safe mode safe mode with networking and safe mode with command prompt but it always ends up with the black screen I am also able to get the the boot menu They don t have a boot disk or recovery disk for me to use I have tried using another monitor with the same results I have also tried unplugging the computer removing the battery and pressing the start button for both and seconds with no success I have done a little research and it sound like he may have the zero access root kit but I m not sure I am unable to post any logs since I cannot get past the black screen using any of the options I have tried I thank you in advance for any help S Terry

A:Windows 7 fails to start up. Black Screen

Hello sterry31,

Please start your computer and tap F10 until the Edit Boot Menu options come up. Let me know what you see there between the brackets ([..... ])

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/462109/windows-7-fails-to-start-up-black-screen/
Relevancy 64.07%

My friend was having problems with her computer. So I ran a few programs to check it out and clean it up.. (AVG, CCleaner, AntiMalware...)
But then after running the last one and rebooting, the screen goes black once Windows starts to load. Then the mouse appears but still nothing.
I tried safe mode and still nothing...
Not sure what to do, but just gaining access to copy files to an external hard drive is important. I was planning to reformat anyways...
Thanks for any help.

A:Computer screen goes black when trying to start Windows

hiya.more info please,desktop/laptop.make model.ram-etc,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-screen-goes-black-when-trying-to-start-windows.1072148/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi Just recently I ve been encountering an issue when trying to start up my computer Windows upon start screen Black trying Solved: XP to The computer would seem to run Solved: Black screen upon trying to start Windows XP normally up until the Windows XP loading screen After that the computer screen would just stay black no matter how long I leave my computer on for with no cursor Occasionally I would get a blue screen flicker and it would lead to the computer trying to reboot but failing The blue screen however flickers for less than sec So pretty much I am unable to boot up my computer normally I am able to boot up in Safe mode with or without network Whenever I boot up in these modes my resolution is messed and am unable to change it I have scanned my computer with Trend Micro and Malwarebytes for possible infections and have removed all infections that were present I recall seeing quot rootkit quot The computer seems to be clean of any infections now but I am still having trouble booting up my computer normally Any help is appreciated Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 64.07%

Hi guys again I have posted my issue before AFter installing windows ultimate my laptop worked fine for like month and now it begins to slow down and i believe the same problem might occur again freeze up windows stuck at start up logo After doing chkdsk for like times now my laptop up black screen windows 7 slow start and works but sometime when Hard drive light is not blinking constantly on for few sec windows freezes but then it goes back to normal I have windows 7 slow start up and black screen posted my logs after doing chkdsk at o'clock pm and o'clock pm o'clock log fixed my laptop So my question is do i need to replace hard drive in order to fix it I feel like same problem might occur again in few months Edit KB total disk space KB in files KB in indexes KB in bad sectors KB in use by the system KB occupied by the log file KB available on disk Can i fix bad sector using hdd regenerator

A:windows 7 slow start up and black screen

Hello,

Can you provide a link to the previous thread?

Did you replace the HDD last time, or repair bad sectors?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-slow-start-up-and-black-screen-673171.html
Relevancy 64.07%

I have two XP computers with the same problem These computers are at seperate locations They both have a black screen at start up It flashes the Explorer logo and the curser blinks and then nothing I have tried safe mode rebooting to the installation disk and the ubuntu boot cd You can see things flash onscreen but it goes away before you can even click on anything I have read that there is many computers with this problem and they think it occured after the most recent windows update on October All the solutions posted would be great if I could actually type something or click on something but there is nothing on screen to work with Task manger doesn't work or F F F or any other F key You can hear the computer trying to boot getting Two screen up computers black start xp windows at and the ubuntu program seems to load but it only flashes on the screen and then I am back to the black screen of death Safe mode flashes on the screen and then disappears very quickly Any help would Two windows xp computers getting black screen at start up be great

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/two-windows-xp-computers-getting-black-screen-at-start-up-427697.html
Relevancy 64.07%

the issue is:my windows xp suddenly start in black screen when i try to open it in regular modwindows in black screen will mouse cursos show only.i try to tyes f8 and go in safe mod.All the things i could do is:boost into safe modboost into safe mod with internetboost into command the things i tried and cant work:return to the last best settingctrl+alt+delete i dont have windows xp install dicsi am on os windows xp ,with 2GB ram,intel core 2 duo e7400 2.8GHzno display card install.No any driver was update this week.the system restore was cleaned,no check point was saved.please help me anyway you can.i just find the solution with these issue for a month already,that was so annoying at home without a computer.HELP ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A:windows xp start with black screen and mouse only

Boot into safe mode.Create a new user account.Reboot ans use the new account.Does that work?

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,144948.0.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi all!

My other laptop will not start up at all. I have Windows XP. When I turn it on, this message displays on a black screen:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or currupt:
system32\DRIVERS\isapnp.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting Windows Setup using the original Setup CD-ROM.
Select 'r' at the first screen to start repair.

And nothing continues from there. I don't know what to. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 64.07%

Hi all I was wondering if someone is able to help me try to solve an issue with my laptop I have a HP laptop running windows and at the moment cursor - screen start with Windows up 7 won't black I can't get it to Windows 7 won't start up - black screen with cursor start up It gets past the screen with the windows logo and then just displays a black screen with white cursor I don't Windows 7 won't start up - black screen with cursor remember recently having installed any updates or any other software which may have caused this I did however go away for the weekend and accidentally left my laptop on standby When I came home the battery had drained so I tried starting it back up and it loaded the 'windows shut down incorrectly' screen Trying to start windows normally after seeing that screen now Windows 7 won't start up - black screen with cursor won't work I've tried a few basic fixes Starting in safe mode - also loads black screen with white cursor Letting the black screen load and pressing ctrl alt delete - task manager doesn't start Going to advanced boot options and enabling low resolution video mode System restore - tried restoring to points one weeks ago another even older Both try the restore and then I get an unspecified error x ffff A hard reset Pressing F on startup and selecting 'restore to last known configuration' Any ideas for for what I can try next The laptop is fairly old but it's the files on it I really care about so would like to try to fix it or otherwise recover my files before doing a clean install My laptop came with windows preinstalled on it but I burnt a series of recovery disks when I got it and still have those HUGE thank you to anyone that can help me Edit I have also seen this thread Although it's the same symptom I think his situation is slightly different to mine as the computer does different things when starting up I hope my HD isn't totally broken

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/550539/windows-7-wont-start-up-black-screen-with-cursor/
Relevancy 64.07%

OK, last night my computer crashed. I have no recovery disk and it won't even start in safe mode. I tried all the different things that you could do from the DOS program, and nothing works. The computer is just a year old so Vista was on the computer when I got it. I did not install anything or change anything. My daughter was on AIM and she clicked on a link her friend sent her...couple minutes later...BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH! No matter what I do I cannot get windows to start at all..in when starting safe mode it get so far and stops.

Anyone have any ideas what happened or what I can do?

A:Windows WON'T START~~BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH

I think you need to get more information out of your daughter, as to WHAT the link was and what is was suppose to do?
You just may have LOST everything.

NOTE:
By adding MORE posts is NOT going to get any one to help any faster. We are ALL volunteers here and 2 minutes is NOT even enough time to read your post and think about it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-wont-start-black-screen-of-death.683090/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hi there I have recently run into a problem with my desktop that I was hoping you could help with I shut it down nights ago in the usual way but when I turned it on the next morning windows failed to load up I get the usual PC model page In my case zoostorm and then the screen goes black no windows loading screen or anything I've tried getting into safe mode with f but that doesn't work and I've also gone into the page where you can do a Troubleshoot System Restore or Reinstall Windows Sorry I don't know the name of that screen I am unable to do to + start screen Windows black fails a system restore as I don't have any restore points and trying to re-install windows failed because when it restarts during the installation it takes me back to the same black screen as before and stays there Another curious thing is that when I press the power button to turn it off again it instantly turns off there's no few seconds where it does its closing down thing it just Windows fails to start + black screen instantly turns off as Windows fails to start + black screen if its not actually Windows fails to start + black screen running anything I'm at a total loss I cant think what may have caused it and have run out of ideas on how to fix it If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate some help with it as my job involves me being able to use my computer Thank you James

A:Windows fails to start + black screen

Assuming windows 10.
download the media creation tool from here USB or DVD
boot from the media and try the startup repair or the reset keeping data.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/windows-fails-start-black-screen-4603786/
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello all I am in dire need of assistance and any help is most welcome I am running a Sony Vaio with Intel Core Duo GHz processor and Windows XP SP Media Center The computer boots with the Windows splash loading screen as normal afterwards when it would normally show the desktop I am left with a black screen with the XP w/ cursor start; black won't screen Windows cursor in the middle not blinking I have control of the cursor but can't do anything else Ctrl Alt Del does nothing and pressing Shift times does nothing I have attempted the normal Windows XP won't start; black screen w/ cursor system restore booting in Safe Windows XP won't start; black screen w/ cursor Mode Safe Mode with networking and Safe Mode with Command prompt All of these result in the same black screen with cursor control I am not aware of any viruses that might be on the machine I regularly run SuperAntispyware Malwarebytes and virus scans with Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition None of them detected anything earlier in the day prior to the problem However Firefox had frozen up an unusual number of times yesterday When it froze I noticed that there was always an advertisement on the site that didn't load properly so I attributed it to that Also the night before I received a Cicerouiwndframe not responding error on shutdown but that is not particularly unusual as I have seen it before though not recently Further I noticed yesterday that my computer was having trouble recognizing my printer in one of the USB ports but when I switched to one of the other ports it worked fine In trying to resolve this issue I have disconnected all auxiliary hardware mouse wireless adapter printer but this produced little effect Once I get to the black screen with cursor the only way for me to turn the computer off is to disconnect the power cord the back of the computer and remove the laptop battery Pressing the power button does nothing I was working in Excel last night with a couple of Firefox windows open when the computer suddenly froze up Today I'm left with the black screen and cursor There are some important files that I need to retrieve from the hard drive so at the very least some help in accomplishing that would be most appreciated Thanks

A:Windows XP won't start; black screen w/ cursor

Do you have another user account you can try logging in with?

If you don't log in as administrator normally, at the log in screen type administrator and your admin password. If you have the login screen that shows icons, press cntrl+alt+del twice and the standard log in window will appear.

It's possible that an application is attempting to load at start up that cannot complete and keeps the computer from finishing it's boot up. Another user profile might not have this same issue.

If you have another account to sign in with, give it a shot and let us know.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-wont-start-black-screen-w-cursor-422312.html
Relevancy 63.21%

First off my PC:Processor: Core2Duo E7400 @ 2.8GhzMotherboard: Asus P5KPL-VMGPU: Nvidia 9400GT (128-Bit with 512MB)HDD: 1x 250GB SATA, 1x160GB SATA (OS Installed) and 1x60GB SATA (Small LAPTOP HDD)RAM: 4GB DDR2 running in Dual Channel (USB to FSB RATIO is 1:1)Windows: Windows 10 PRO 64BITI have been facing this issue for a while now. Whenever I start my PC from a cold start it sometimes gets stuck on a black screen after the Windows Logo with the responsive mouse cursor. I then have to force reboot the system.Things I have triedReinstalling Windows and Letting Windows Install the Latest Drivers and did not install anything else and tested. Problem remained.Updating Graphics Drivers to the latest from Website.Problem remains. What could be wrong? I have been having this problem since a few months and this was present even on the older Windows 10 build.Computing Tech Netmessage edited by agalpha

A:Black Screen With Cursor WINDOWS 10 COLD START

"Whenever I start my PC from a cold start it sometimes gets stuck on a black screen"You lost me there. Does it do it every time you start from cold or just sometimes? It will be more easy to diagnose if it is not intermittent.A good start is to use Clean Boot to see if you can work out what is causing it: http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-perf...Also see if it does it in Safe Mode (see link on page).Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanksmessage edited by Derek

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-10/black-screen-with-cursor-windows-10-cold-start/661.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Every time I enter my password my screen just goes black with only my cursor visible, after about an hour or so my start menu was visible but I still couldn't do anything. Everything was black and empty. Is there a fix for this? I'm attempting a system restore/restart but if that does not work what are my options?
Also whenever I do open up my computer it says something about a media failure. I'm not sure if this is in regards to my graphics card as it tells me the card itself is running fine.
My computer is a Dell Inspiron 15 3000 series.
PS: Is there an easier way to access the troubleshooting menu? It took me an hour to access it no matter how many times I pressed the function keys, it only seems to open whenever I constantly force reset my computer...

A:Black Screen on Windows 10? After logging in I can only see my start button.

ctrl + alt + delete open task manager. go to process select explorer.exe end process tree. is this does fix the issue the go to file open new process then type explorer.exe

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/406562-black-screen-windows-10-after-logging-i-can-only-see-my-start-button.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Turned on the Dell this morning....would not load windows. All I get is a black screen. I tested monitor, and it is ok. I can hold the start button in for about 10 seconds, and the computer has a rush of fan, then blinks and goes to 3 green lights across the front, but will not shut off. . I tried putting a WINDOWS 7 REPAIR CD in the tray and boot, but still will not go to windows....just a black screen, The only way to get the computer to shut down is to physically unplug. The lights are on the front panel, and the power button is also on... and only go off with it unplugged..

After I unplug the computer, wait for about 5 minutes and restart.....it blinks the CD drive, and goes to the 3 green lights on the front and wont start just freezes with the green lights on front.
Where to start?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/590883/windows-7-wont-start-blinks-with-black-screen/
Relevancy 63.21%

I am not a computer expert The problem is I am running windows Xp HOME EDITION When I go to start windows I keep getting the screen We apologize for the inconvenience but windows did not start successfully If I Black Did Successfully Start Windows And Not Screen White highlight start windows normally nothing happens and the system keeps circling back to this page over and over So I went on the web I read many articles that stated to use your windows XP disk as a boot disk so I installed it and get the WINDOWS SET-up Blue screen On the bottom of the screen it goes through a process SETUP is loading files SeTup is starting windows Welcome to setup This portion f the setup program prepares Microsoft Windows to run on your computer To set-up windows XP now press Enter To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console press R So I press Black And White Screen Windows Did Not Start Successfully R I get to a C gt My question is what do I need to type in this line to get the recovery process started PLEASE HELP I DO NOT WANT TO FORMAT over existing system losing all my data

A:Black And White Screen Windows Did Not Start Successfully

I believe what you are trying to do is a "Repair Install". See the link below for detailed instructions on how to do this.How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/140621/black-and-white-screen-windows-did-not-start-successfully/
Relevancy 63.21%

I made a clean install of Windows and noticed that after restarting PC I see black screen instead of desktop the BIOS loading and windows loading screen are okay If I turn monitor off and on then everything is working I can see the desktop After another windows restart I have the same issue and have to turn monitor off and on again It also worth mentioning that if I start PC by pressing power button not a restart then everything works fine Previously I had windows running with this monitor for more than a year without any problems so I think that it s related to windows compatibility Installing windows drivers from DELL s site didn t help What is the digit alpha-numeric monitor serial number CN- TG - - - VL nbsp nbsp there is also quot T quot letter after some free space dont know if it s related to the serial number What specific computer model DELL U H What operating system Windows PRO x What video card GTX Video card driver version latest clean install What video out ports are available on the video card HDMI DVI-I DisplayPort What video out port are you using from the video card to what video in port on the monitor HDMI What cable are you using to attach the video card to the monitor HDMI cable What windows power plan Example nbsp High performance PCI-e Link State Off High performance sleep is turned off Press the monitor Menu button to open the monitor OSD On Screen Display The bottom of that screen should show a resolution What is listed x Was the nbsp monitor purchased from Dell or some reseller reseller 10 Windows at black U2414H start screen Dell

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19987458
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi

After updating my Yoga 900 Windows to 1607,When I power on the system, 3/4 of the screen is black!! I had to plug in my external monitor so the screen appears fully (4/4).

What should I do ?

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/66252-my-windows-10-laptop-start-3-4-screen-black-after-update.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Greetings Friends,
Gateway Laptop, NV53

Will not turn on (black screen), no bios screen, the power light is on (blue), battery light is blue, but the screen is black, when I press and hold the power button, it will power down.  The CD drive works, but how can I run the recovery disks created due to the fact that nothing appears.

Could it be the hard drive or a monitor issue?

Please help.
Thanks in advance

A:Windows 7 Wont Start - Black Screen, None Responsive

Hi,
Not to be a smart A but the answer is yes. Could be either. If you have a monitor you can plug into the laptop that might help eliminate one. Is there any HDD activity [blinking light] to indicate thae drive is active? If both are non-op then I'd look at the power supply
Keep us posted

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/510885/windows-7-wont-start-black-screen-none-responsive/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello. I have a Toshiba Satellite C655-S5132 and it started with a virus in my svchost.exe file. Now my screen goes from the Toshiba logo at the beginning to a black screen with a blinking cursor. I I tried System Restore but it said it could not be performed, no matter what date i choose because of a damaged/missing file. I tried Toshiba Recovery Wizard and it asks me to put in the last cd of a Toshiba Recovery cd set, and I dont have one. I do have a bootup disk but it still is not solving the problem. How do i reset it back to Factory settings?

A:Windows 7 will not start-just black screen and blinking cursor

Hi Black Frank,I would recommend posting in the Am I infected? What do I do? as you may still be infected. Please read Before You Post About A Problem before posting.Pauline

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/432168/windows-7-will-not-start-just-black-screen-and-blinking-cursor/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello all I am in dire need of assistance and any help is most welcome I am running a Sony Vaio with Intel Core Duo GHz processor and Windows XP SP Media Center The computer boots with the Windows splash loading screen as normal afterwards when it would normally show the desktop I am left with a black screen with the cursor in the middle not blinking I have control of the cursor but can t do anything else Ctrl Alt Del does nothing black won't Windows movable screen start; XP cursor w/ and pressing Shift times does nothing I have attempted the normal system restore booting in Safe Mode Safe Mode with networking and Safe Mode with Command prompt All of these result in the same black screen with cursor control I am not aware of any viruses that might be on the machine I regularly run SuperAntispyware Malwarebytes and virus scans with Symantec Antivirus Corporate Edition None of them detected anything earlier in the day prior to the problem However Firefox had frozen up an unusual number of times yesterday When it froze I noticed that there was always an advertisement on the site that didn t load properly so I attributed it to that Also the night before I received a Cicerouiwndframe not responding error on shutdown but that is not particularly unusual as I have seen it before though not recently Windows XP won't start; black screen w/ movable cursor Further I noticed yesterday that my computer was having trouble recognizing my printer in one of the USB ports but when I switched to one of the other ports it worked fine In trying to resolve this issue I have disconnected all auxiliary hardware mouse wireless adapter printer but this produced little effect Once I get to the black screen with cursor the only way for me to turn the computer off is to disconnect the power cord the back of the computer and remove the laptop battery Pressing the power button does nothing I was working in Excel last night with a couple of Firefox windows open when the computer suddenly froze up Today I m left with the black screen and cursor There are some important files that I need to retrieve from the hard drive so at the very least some help in accomplishing that would be most appreciated I don t have an original Windows XP Media Center Edition disc since the computer never came with one Apparently Sony includes a recovery kit as a special partition on the hard drive but it s not clear what this recovery will do or if it would allow me to use the Windows XP Media Center repair function that would be found on an original Microsoft disc nbsp

A:Windows XP won't start; black screen w/ movable cursor

The only time I ever used that recovery option on a Vaio, it performed a destructive return to factory settings with no further warning so I recommend leaving that one alone for the time being. Tap F8 to bring the Safe Mode menu up and try the option for VGA settings, which might just let your graphics card show with reduced functions. If you can get in that way, try updating the drivers for the graphics in Device Manager.

As for getting the files out, you could Google for Hirens BootCD and download that, burn it to a disk and use MiniXP to gain access to your files and move them to memory sticks of an external hard drive. Using MiniXP would also tell you if the graphics are working but that your own system lacks some files or settings somewhere.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-wont-start-black-screen-w-movable-cursor.868674/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi, I'm really hoping someone can help me. My wife's laptop (Dell Inspiron E1505) won't start windows XP. It goes from the dell startup screen and then just goes black. It doesn't seem to be a monitor issue. She told me that the day this happened she got a warning about a trojan virus. I downloaded the XP recovery console on another computer and was able to boot it directly from the cd drive. I've only run chkdsk on it and that's about as far as I got. Any help would greatly be appreciated!

Also as a note, I cannot boot in safe mode either.

Thanks.

Mat

A:Dell Laptop won't start windows XP - screen goes black

Do you get an error when you try to boot into safe mode, or does it just go black? When you say it 'goes black' does the drive still turn?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/359837/dell-laptop-wont-start-windows-xp-screen-goes-black/
Relevancy 63.21%

I have this problem on my screen freeze XP SP3 black Win HTPC which is on all the time It has Win XP SP3 black screen freeze a problem of totally freezing every couple days with a black screen can t get out of it until I reset the tower Every time it happens I look at the event log Win XP SP3 black screen freeze and I see these Event Type Error Event Source atapi Event Category None Event ID Date Time AM User Win XP SP3 black screen freeze N A Computer JASON-HTPC Description The device Device Ide IdePort is not ready for access yet Event Type Error Event Source Disk Event Category None Event ID Date Time AM User N A Computer JASON-HTPC Description The driver detected a controller error on Device Harddisk D They come in pairs and occur every - minutes until about half an hour later which I suspect when the machine totally freezes up no more log entries of these problem I read it could be cable I ve switched the sata cable on the HD and the sata port it s plugged to on the MB I have no problem reading from the disk otherwise I suspect something s wrong with my MB but odd that I don t see a log event for my C only on the D and the DVD writer why does it log it as ide it s sata Any help will be appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Win XP SP3 black screen freeze

Do you have all of the newest drivers? Have you tryed switching which port you plug your hard drive into?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-xp-sp3-black-screen-freeze.864691/
Relevancy 63.21%

I run windows xp. I have 4 accounts set up: two admin and one each for my wife and grandson. These are not admin accounts. when my wife logs off, the computer often will switch to a black screen and it freezes. F drive is my main drive. Need help. Thanks

Looking for help.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3326 Mb
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6670, -2048 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 305234 MB, Free - 147823 MB; F: Total - 953859 MB, Free - 805067 MB; G: Total - 476929 MB, Free - 83979 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P5N-D
Antivirus: Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

A:xp pro log off black screen and freeze

If it is only her account and you are sure the computer is virus free, the easiest thing to do would probably be to create a new user account.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-pro-log-off-black-screen-and-freeze.1096326/
Relevancy 63.21%

When I launch a game I have to wait like a minute until it launches after that a black screen appears, no sound and i cant do anything. I tried pressing windows key l, alt tabbing, ctrl+alt+delete, alt+f4 nothing helps only power button.
I have all the latest drivers, did a virus scan, checked for windows updates, defraged my hard drive. This happens for all my games but not always.

http://www.tenforums.com/gaming/37640-black-screen-freeze.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello, I'm having an issue with my PC I've put together and am not sure what is causing it. When I am playing games Like Team Fortress 2 and Command and conquer my PC locks up with a black screen and sound loop. There is no particular time when it happens, sometimes it takes an hour or two and then happens every ten to fifteen minutes. and sometimes it happens after twenty minutes and sometimes it doesn't happen at all. I can leave my computer on for hours and no problems, only when I play games. Anyone have any Ideas?

PC Components:
Lanparty UT ICFX3200-T2R/G Motherboard
Pentium D Extreme 840 @ 3.2Ghz
2 x 2Gig Buffalo pc6400 single channel RAM
ATI Radeon 4830 video card
WD 320 Gig SATA harddrive
hec Orion HP585D power supply 585 Watts
Alpine DVD drive

A:Black screen freeze up

If it only happens when you are playing games, and at different times during the games, it's probably a graphics card issue. You may want to install and graphics card fan to keep the temp down, or possibly consider upgrading your graphics card.

I would first suggest running a quick diagnostic on it, search for the burn in diagnostic tool from the downloads section of the site and let it run, it will test your graphics card.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/black-screen-freeze-up.126900/
Relevancy 63.21%

I was searching Youtube and then suddenly the whole screen went black and comp froze. Nothing responds so had to hold power button to shut down. When I turned it on again, all my preferences are gone like my Facebook. When I normally go to facebook, it shows my homepage but now it tells me to log on. Same with Youtube, Windows Live Messenger and this forum. (These are the only ones I came across)
Whats wrong with my computer?

A:Black Screen Freeze

Hi -

What web browser are you using? (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome etc)

Just looks like your saved form information within your browser has been deleted. If, you log back in to these sites (Facebook, TSF etc) and accept any dialog (or checkbox) that asks you whether you want the form information (username/password etc) to be saved that should take things back to how there were before.

As for the black screen, it is difficult to tell what caused in, however if it should happen again, reply here, and I will attempt to assist in finding the cause/solution.

Let me know how you get on.

Regards, - GJ

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-freeze-557743.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hello I ve came here again with the same issue yet it s way worse than before I have an Asus K SC laptop running Windows Ultimate My issue is that my laptop freezes followed by a total black out the laptop is still running but I can t do anything even the cursor disappears and if I have a sound on background it repeats the last syllables forever screen freeze Black Sometimes it occurs without a freeze just my monitor Black screen freeze turning black and other times I get a blue screen What I ve seen Black screen freeze during my troubleshooting tries is that whenever I don t get the blue screen when only the monitor turns black the event is not recognised as a crash This occurs when I browse the internet most of the times when I watch a video having pictures loading in the background gifs it even occurs when I m watching movies or playing games it occurs while playing and alt tab it Another thing I observed is that it occurs more often when running on High Performance Entertaining Mode while when on Battery Saving it only occured while watching movies or playing games I have tried to reproduce the problem in Safe Mode but for some reason it never occured Initially it was only occuring when I was alt tabbing games now it expanded to all other situations I previously mentioned My spec OS W Ultimate bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - QM CPU GHz CPUs RAM GB Graphics Intel HD Graphics I also have a Nvidia Geforce GT MX GB but I never find it mentioned in my specs I hope someone can help me any ideas are welcome I m desperate I suspect a GPU problem but meh what do I know I hope I posted in the right section Thank you in advance nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

Hello i have this issue with my computer for about two years Ive taken it to people who are supposed to know about freeze screen Black / it so they could solve it but the problem came back one or two months after being fixed I ve searched help in many forums but no one could help me This is the problem i found Some things are in spanish since its my native language Hope u can understand Descripci n Windows dej de funcionar correctamente por un problema con el hardware de v deo Firma del problema Nombre de evento de problema LiveKernelEvent Versi n del sistema operativo Id de configuraci n regional Archivos que ayudan a describir el problema WD- - dmp sysdata xml WERInternalMetadata xml Ver copia temporal de estos archivos Advertencia si la causa del problema es un virus u otra amenaza a la seguridad el equipo se podr a da ar al abrir una copia de los archivos Informaci n adicional sobre el problema BCCode BCP FFFFFA FCD BCP FFFFF C BCP BCP OS Version Service Pack Product ----------------- The error occurrs while gaming when im idle Black screen / freeze or chrome or at any time ----------------- I runed checkdisk and had no errors Memtest gave no errors Updated nvidia drivers I tried every version of them with a clean install using Driver Sweeper AVG full scan on safe mode shows that my cpu is clean ------------------ System Information ------------------ Time of this report Machine name JUAN-PC Operating System Windows Enterprise -bit Build Service Pack win sp gdr - Language Spanish Regional Setting Spanish System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd System Model H M-D BIOS Award Modular BIOS v PG Processor Intel R Core TM i - K CPU GHz CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Available OS Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX Setup Parameters Not found User DPI Setting Using System DPI System DPI Setting DPI percent DWM DPI Scaling Disabled DxDiag Version bit Unicode ------------ DxDiag Notes ------------ Display Tab No problems found Sound Tab No problems found Input Tab No problems found -------------------- DirectX Debug Levels -------------------- Direct D retail DirectDraw retail DirectInput retail DirectMusic retail DirectPlay retail DirectSound retail DirectShow retail --------------- Display Devices --------------- Card name NVIDIA GeForce GTX Manufacturer NVIDIA Chip type GeForce GTX DAC type Integrated RAMDAC Device Key Enum PCI VEN DE amp DEV C amp SUBSYS amp REV A Display Memory MB Dedicated Memory MB Shared Memory MB Current Mode x bit Hz Monitor Name Monitor PnP gen rico Monitor Model W Monitor Id GSM EE Native Mode x p Hz Output Type HD Driver Name nvd dumx dll nvwgf umx dll nvwgf umx dll nvd dum nvwgf um nvwgf um Driver File Version English Driver Version DDI Version Driver Model WDDM Driver Attributes Final Retail Driver Date Size bytes WHQL Logo'd Yes WHQL Date Stamp Device Identifier D B E E- - CF-A F- EC C Vendor ID x DE Device ID x C SubSys ID x Revision ID x A Driver Strong Name oem inf NVIDIA SetA Devices NTamd Section pci ven de amp dev c Rank Of Driver E Video Accel ModeMPEG A ModeMPEG C ModeVC C ModeWMV C Deinterlace Caps CB - - - E - C DB Format In Out YUY YUY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech PixelAdaptive F F DA - B - B F- D -C E EAAB Format In Out YUY YUY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY A A C -C EC- BD - EDE-F C DC B Format In Out YUY YUY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY AA E- - A - C - F FAF E E Format In Out YUY YUY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech BOBVerticalStretch CB - - - E - C DB Format In Out UYVY UYVY Frames Prev Fwd Back Caps VideoProcess YUV RGB VideoProcess StretchX VideoProcess StretchY DeinterlaceTech PixelAdaptive F F DA - B - B F- D -C E EAAB Format In Out UYVY UYVY Frames Prev Fw... Read more

A:Black screen / freeze

Quote:

description
Windows stopped working properly due to a problem with the video hardware.
Problem Signature
Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
Locale ID: 11274
Files that help describe the problem
WD-20130705-2242.dmp
sysdata.xml
WERInternalMetadata.xml
View temporary copy of these files
Warning: If the problem is caused by a virus or other security threat, the equipment may be damaged when opening a copy of the files.
Additional information about the problem

It looks like your video card is failing.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/black-screen-freeze-701714.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi all I Screen Black Help! freeze after just started having this problem with my PC It is home built and has been running fine for quite a while It is tyan thunder K X motherboard AMD MP GHz processors GB DDR ECC memory Nvidia graphic board forget which Help! Black Screen after freeze one Ok so here s the Help! Black Screen after freeze symptoms I shut the machine down at night When I power up in the morning it is fine boots up and runs for maybe minutes then will either completely freeze or blue screen with various error messages When it froze this last time I hit the Help! Black Screen after freeze reset button and it goes to a black screen no blinking cursor nothing it is most definately NOT booting The power button or additional resets don t do anything So I remove power Turn it back on same thing Black screen Hit the reset button now it will boot and run all day without a problem Pretty weird So in my first troubleshooting effort this morning instead of booting windows I popped my memtest floppy disk in and let it sit and spin Figured I wanted to eliminate the OS and or drivers from the problem After about minutes I got a bunch of multi colored random characters on the screen Went through the same power up sequence with the same issues as above and now it is happily spinning away in memtest without issue Any ideas what could be going on here Some sort of temperature problem problem when cold If so where do I even start Any help GREATLY appreciated Patti nbsp

A:Help! Black Screen after freeze

when you get the error message, make a note of the error code then post again. if the blue screen is not up long enough try and take a picture of it (it works you just have to be quick lol).

when we have the code it will be easier to figure out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-black-screen-after-freeze.44777/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi so as you can read from the title Windows won t start up and doesn t make any normal start up beeps and just presents me with a black no signal screen I assume it automatically installed updates when it last shut down as it was telling me that there were updates ready to be installed and I do remember start won't 7 after and screen Windows Update, up no 'star no PC Windows black signal that one of the updates was for nVidia graphics drivers However I have already tried the following to try and get it working -Removed both graphics cards PC Windows 7 won't start up after Windows Update, black screen no signal and no 'star and replaced them with one old ATI graphics card -Removed the power cord and held the power button for minutes apparently this was a solution -Removed all USB devices -Replaced the keyboard with a PS keyboard -Tried only one of the current graphics cards -Tried using one monitor with each graphics card -Removed each RAM stick one by one however when I only had one RAM stick in it made Sharp beeps on start-up and then turned off and turned back on by itself -Unplugged the hard drive -Plugged the hard drive into a different SATA port -Removed the motherboard battery for minutes in attempt to rest the bios So far nothing has worked and I wondered if someone had a solution The spec of the PC is Windows Home Premium Bit Intel Core i OEM Possessor LG Blu Ray x GGC-H L Drive LG DVDRW x IDE Drive OEM Cardreader Samsung TB SATA Hard Drive x GSKILL i DDR GB RAM Corsair PSU W x nVidia Geforce GT PC Windows 7 won't start up after Windows Update, black screen no signal and no 'star GB

A:PC Windows 7 won't start up after Windows Update, black screen no signal and no 'star

cmos reset
turn the computer off
remove the power lead from the back
take the side off
remove the cmos battery
move the cmos jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pin 2 and 3 and the back to pins 1 and 2
reinsert the battery
put the side on
replug in the power lead
boot the computer

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/pc-windows-7-wont-start-up-after-windows-update-black-screen-no-signal-and-no-star-582767.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hello my problem started when I realized that my email account was hacked and sending out random messages to my contacts From there I ran MalwareBytes It found like files and deleted them After that windows would not start in normal mode From Bleeping Computer I downloaded the Farbar recovery scan tool used it and then ran it again to fix Computer worked cursor black with mouse -- Windows will not only screen start white fine until I tried to download Norton Security Now I back to the same black screen What should I do now Here is the Farbar log Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST x Version - - Ran Windows will not start -- black screen with white mouse cursor only by SYSTEM at - - Running from G Windows Home Premium Service Pack X OS Language English US The current controlset is ControlSet Registry Windows will not start -- black screen with white mouse cursor only Whitelisted HKLM Run TouchORB C Program Files x TouchSettings TouchPortalOBR exe - - Acer Corp HKLM Run TouchPortalV Launcher C Program Files x Gateway Gateway TouchPortal TouchPortalLauncher exe na - - Acer Corp HKLM Run RTHDVCPL C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVCpl exe -s - - Realtek Semiconductor HKLM Run THXCfg C Windows system RunDLL exe C Windows system Windows will not start -- black screen with white mouse cursor only THXCfg dll RunDLLEntry THXCfg - - Creative Technology Ltd HKLM-x Run YouCam Mirage C Program Files x Gateway Gateway TouchPortal YouCam YCMMirage exe - - CyberLink HKLM-x Run YouCam Tray C Program Files x Gateway Gateway TouchPortal YouCam YouCamTray exe s - - CyberLink Corp HKLM-x Run Norton Online Backup C Program Files x Symantec Norton Online Backup NOBuClient exe - - Symantec Corporation HKLM-x Run Adobe ARM C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe - - Adobe Systems Incorporated HKLM-x Run TouchPortalV Launcher C Program Files x Gateway Gateway TouchPortal TouchPortalLauncher exe na - - Acer Corp HKLM-x Run MDS Menu C Program Files x Gateway Gateway TouchPortal MediaShow Espresso MUITransfer MUIStartMenu exe C Program Files x Gateway Gateway TouchPortal MediaShow Espresso UpdateWithCreateOnce Software CyberLink MediaShow Espresso - - CyberLink Corp HKLM-x Run TouchMovieService C Program Files x Gateway Gateway TouchPortal Touch Movie TouchMovieService exe - - CyberLink Corp HKLM-x Run Hotkey Utility C Program Files x Gateway Hotkey Utility HotkeyUtility exe - - HKLM-x Run THX Audio Control Panel C Program Files x Creative THX TruStudio Pro THXAudioCP THXAudio exe r - - Creative Technology Ltd HKLM-x Run UpdReg C Windows UpdReg EXE - - Creative Technology Ltd HKLM-x Run MoneyStartUp C Program Files x Microsoft Money System Activation exe - - Microsoft Corporation HKLM-x Run B C AGENT C ProgramData LGMOBILEAX B C Client B CNotiAgent exe - - LG Electronics HKLM-x Run APSDaemon C Program Files x Common Files Apple Apple Application Support APSDaemon exe - - Apple Inc HKLM-x Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe - - Sun Microsystems Inc HKLM-x Run TkBellExe C Program Files x Real RealPlayer update realsched exe -osboot - - RealNetworks Inc HKLM-x Run iTunesHelper C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe - - Apple Inc HKLM-x Run DATAMNGR C PROGRA SEARCH Datamngr DATAMN EXE - - Bandoo Media Inc HKLM-x Run SMessaging C Users cheyenn AppData Local Strongvault Online Backup SMessaging exe - - Stronghold Online Backup HKU cheyenn Run Messenger C Program Files x Strongvault Online Backup ClientMessenger exe x HKU cheyenn Run PCSpeedUp C Program Files x PC Speed Up PCSUNotifier exe x HKU Default RunOnce ScrSav C Program Files x Gateway Screensaver run Gateway exe default - - HKU Default User RunOnce ScrSav C Program Files x Gateway Screensaver run Gateway exe default - - HKU HUNT Run Shop To Win C Program Files x Shop To Win ShopToWin exe - - Jackpot Rewards HKU HUNT Run DAEMON Tools Lite C Users HUNT Desktop DAEMON Tools Lite DTLite exe -autorun x HKU HUNT RunOnce Application Re... Read more

A:Windows will not start -- black screen with white mouse cursor only

Greetings anhunt and to BleepingComputer's Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum.My name is Oh My! and I am here to help you! Now that we are "friends" please call me Gary.If you would allow me to call you by your first name I would prefer to do that. ===================================================Ground Rules:First, I would like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please try to match our commitment to you with your patience toward us. If this was easy we would never have met. Please do not run any tools or take any steps other than those I will provide for you while we work on your computer together. I need to be certain about the state of your computer in order to provide appropriate and effective steps for you to take. Most often "well intentioned" (and usually panic driven!) independent efforts can make things much worse for both of us. If at any point you would prefer to take your own steps please let me know, I will not be offended. I would be happy to focus on the many others who are waiting in line for assistance.Please perform all steps in the order they are listed in each set of instructions. Some steps may be a bit complicated. If things are not clear, be sure to stop and let me know. We need to work on this together with confidence.Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise. Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems simply stop and tell me about it.When you post your reply, do not use the button but use the button instead.In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see the button. Click on this then choose Immediate E-Mail notification and then Proceed and you will be sent an email once I have posted a response.If you do not reply to your topic after 5 days we assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide for you detailed information about how you can combat future infections.I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so.Now let's get started ===================================================Now that I am assisting you, you can expect that I will be very responsive to your situation. If you are able, I would request you check this thread at least once per day so that we can try to resolve your issues effectively and efficiently. If you are going to be delayed please be considerate and post that information so that I know you are still with me. Unfortunately, there are many people waiting to be assisted and not enough of us at BleepingComputer to go around. I appreciate your understanding and diligence.Thank you for your patience thus far. Please allow me some time to review the information you have provided and I will reply as soon as possible.and then ran it again to fixCan you tell me what "fix" you did with Farbar's Recovery Scan Tool? And currently can you boot into Safe Mode?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/488568/windows-will-not-start-black-screen-with-white-mouse-cursor-only/
Relevancy 62.78%

hallo dear experts,

my system crashed yesterday due to gpu overheating. now it boots till windows animated logo but at the point right when welcome screen usually comes there is nothing now but a moveable mouse cursor on a completelly black background.

now i have following stuff to get back to normal: two very old restore points and a recently created macrium reflect system image but no repair disc. i will be very happy, if there is a way to use the image since i know that some of you prefer macrium reflect insted of microsofts system image solution. unfurtuntelly my restauration points are way to old (april 2011). ill be very glad to hear your suggestions

A:Black Screen but cursor after crash; after windows start animation

You can create the Macrium Reflect disc on any system running Windows. Just make sure you create the disc for the correct version of Windows and the correct 32-bit or 64-bit version.

If your external drive is recognized by the Linux version of Macrium, you have even more options and can create the Macrium disc with any OS.

Do you have access to another system, or friends who could let you use theirs?

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/216157-black-screen-but-cursor-after-crash-after-windows-start-animation.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I recently did a hitmanpro, piriform cc cleaner, part of defrag, and when hitman pro rebooted my computer it now logs to a black screen when I log in. I tried doing a restore point, but nothing. The desktop and stuff shows up in safe mode but in regular mode it's just a black screen with a cursor and I have to manually start explorer.exe through task manager. What do? x-x

A:Windows 7 64 logs to black screen- have to manually start explorer.exe

Hi and welcome to SevenForums,

If Hitman Pro rebooted the PC it was because if was trying to clean some malware, right? Then I guess Hitman Pro is stuck/failing or the infection is preventing the PC to start.
If you don't have a system image backup you can restore, you can try using a rescue disk to clean your system. For example Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10

Another thing you can try is Using Last Known Good Configuration - Windows Help

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/348175-windows-7-64-logs-black-screen-have-manually-start-explorer-exe.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I know there's another thread and I've checked out the links posted for the Black Screen but none Screen Withing a of Windows Appearing Start Black Up 7 Minute seem to work My promblem is I shut down my computer earlier in the afternoon yesterday I come back and turn it on and after running a Windows 7 Black Screen Appearing Withing a Minute of Start Up minute or two the fans are going like crazy and screen goes black monitor goes to sleep I manually hold down the power button restart and choose the option to repair Once again after a minute or so fans start running hard blacked out screen monitor goes to sleep My husband has tried F and we've tried going back to a restore point It will Windows 7 Black Screen Appearing Withing a Minute of Start Up start and sound normal but when the fans start to run Windows 7 Black Screen Appearing Withing a Minute of Start Up hard we know the screen will go black Opinions from various people I know and from websites are stating it's my ATI Radeon graphics card We've even tested the RAM yet within those two minutes after start up monitor goes black and states no signal or it's sleeping We've also tried numerous monitors just for sake of process of elimination I can't get to the desktop I can't get past anything no matter what option I choose Could it truly be the graphics card Or something worse like the motherboard Any help is appreciated thank you

A:Windows 7 Black Screen Appearing Withing a Minute of Start Up

You had the Radeon card before and everything was fine, right? I don't see the card itself as the issue if that's the case.

When EXACTLY does the screen go black and fans run towards 100%?

Is there anything you installed or modified software-wise or hardware-wise before you shut down yesterday?

Do you own a dog that perhaps could've urinated on your computer?

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/218859-windows-7-black-screen-appearing-withing-minute-start-up.html
Relevancy 62.78%

A few days ago I turned off my dell laptop and everything seemed fine, the very next morning I turned it on and and everything seem ok, until it went passed the welcome screen the screen turned black and just the mouse cursor appeared and it just doesn't go passed that it stays in the black screen with the cursor, I'm able to get in in safe mode and I sis a complete virus scan and malware but everything was clear, I tried system restores but i don't have the disks for it and it says that it is required, I tried restore point but i forgot to create them i was wondering if there can be any other way to fix this.

A:Windows 7 Fails to start: Black Screen with mouse cursor

My laptop just had same problem. couple of hours ago.

What i did was I press f8 when windows were starting up and then I clicked on "Repair system"

Afterwards man options came like system restore, memory diagnostic etc. I clicked on Command prompt then type this command without quotes. "chkdsk /f /r C:"

This command will do chkdsk and repair any hard drive issue. My laptop seems working for a moment.

Running Chkdsk on Windows Hard Drive - YouTube .

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-fails-to-start-black-screen-with-mouse-cursor-673168.html
Relevancy 62.78%

After Windows start up all I can see is a black screen and an active mouse cursor.
I am able to get task manager to open and even to activate Chrome (from task manager).
Other things doesn't work (e.g. can't open folders).

I've checked the "shell" value in regedit (it's "explorer.exe") but I really don't know what else to do.
I'm working with Windows 7 Professional.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

A:Black screen+Mouse active+Windows wont start

Work through the steps for Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start
which try everything possible to start the OS, leading up to if necessary rescuiing your files to run Dell Windows 7 PC Restore or do the superior Clean Reinstall Windows 7

If this is the Dell in your specs then there is a built in Dell Hardware Diagnostics from F12 Menu to test your hardware first. If necessary to reinstall and not run Recovery, be sure to save the Dell Utilitiy partition to keep these bootable diagnostics.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/359037-black-screen-mouse-active-windows-wont-start.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I didn't know where exactly this should go so let me know if there is somewhere else it should be I was cruisin' through the internet next thing stuck, wait with start as is Please usual. a black Windows up screen. I know the Windows start up as usual. Please wait is stuck, with a black screen. only page that will load is the new tab page So like any hard working male I restart my computer Well when i try to restart it after the windows graphic screen I get the 'Please wait ' and after a Windows start up as usual. Please wait is stuck, with a black screen. few seconds it goes to a black screen A few more seconds it goes back to the 'Please wait ' screen If left enough times it will go back to the windows start up graphic and the process will begin again I have tried to access the boot menu but I am unable to because of the use of a USB keyboard I have the availability of the mouse cursor and I can use the keyboard in the 'Please wait ' and blank screen but when it goes back to the start up graphic I am unable to use it I have tried a few things I could think of Plugging the USB keyboard into a different USB slot to see if my mother board gave it precedent multiple restarts spamming all manner of key combinations and none of it has worked Any help with this situation would be Windows start up as usual. Please wait is stuck, with a black screen. greatly appreciated

A:Windows start up as usual. Please wait is stuck, with a black screen.

You will have to plug the keyboard as PS2. PS2 keyboards are not very expensive and a usb-to-ps2 adapter is about ?1. I am afraid that there is no way to get the USB keyboard recognized before the drivers have loaded.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/330176-windows-start-up-usual-please-wait-stuck-black-screen.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi Windows have start mode. to black 7 on screen safe in startup, guys I ve got a nasty virus on a laptop that I cna t get rid of not yet anyway I have not yet run HijackThis or GMER however I have run ComboFix it found and deleated a file on the D drive called installer exe Windows 7 black screen on startup, have to start in safe mode. No changes Here are the symptoms When booting into normal startup it Windows 7 black screen on startup, have to start in safe mode. takes about minutes to get to the Windows 7 black screen on startup, have to start in safe mode. desktop That is from the time I see the Windows Loading screen until the screen goes black Once I have officially logged in the screen is black All I see is the mouse courser Pressing ctrl alt del does nothing Neither does pressing the Windows key Booting into safe mode brings up the desktop and the computer workes fine then All of the System Recovery files have been deleated Going to the Avast website brings up the quot This site has been marked as harmful and is being blocked quot screen If I make any changes to startup using the msconfig command and then restart the computer the system will hang on the Windows loading screen restart and then revert itself back to the way it was before black screen I cant run a virus scan or do anything else in Avast this isnt really the virus s fault avast dosent work in safe mode I ll post the logs of HijackThis tonight but I would like if anyone has any suggestions to help me out before then

A:Windows 7 black screen on startup, have to start in safe mode.

Try going into safe mode with networkingRun MBAM (MalwareBytes):Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.Download Link 1Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.Make sure you are connected to the Internet.Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:Update Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareLaunch Malwarebytes' Anti-MalwareThen click Finish.MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.On the Scanner tab:Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.Then click on the Scan button.If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button. The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.Back at the main Scanner screen:Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.Exit MBAM when done.Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware [/quote]

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/403757/windows-7-black-screen-on-startup-have-to-start-in-safe-mode/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hi guys I've got a nasty virus on a laptop that I cna't get rid of not yet anyway I to mode. 7 Windows start in screen have black on startup, safe have not yet run HijackThis or GMER however I have run ComboFix it found and deleated a file on the D drive called installer exe No changes Here are the symptoms When booting into normal startup it takes about minutes to get to the desktop That is from the time I see the Windows Loading screen until the screen goes black Once I have officially logged in the screen is black All I see is the mouse courser Pressing ctrl alt del does nothing Neither does pressing the Windows Windows 7 black screen on startup, have to start in safe mode. key Booting into safe mode brings up the desktop and the computer workes fine then All of the System Recovery files have been deleated Going to the Avast website brings up the quot This site has been marked as harmful and is being blocked quot screen If I make any changes to startup using the msconfig command and then restart the computer the system will hang on the Windows loading screen restart and then revert itself back to the way it was before black screen I cant run a virus scan or do anything else in Avast this isnt really the virus's fault avast dosent work in safe mode I'll post the logs of HijackThis tonight but I would like if anyone has any suggestions to help me out before then

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/windows-7-black-screen-on-startup-have-to-start-in-safe-mode-580565.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Recently my computer has Screen, Freeze, Black Restart been freezing at certain times I ve come to think it must be a problem either with my hardware or my windows but I thought it would be best to get more expert info instead of diving head Freeze, Black Screen, Restart first into the problem The main problem that occurs is the random freezing My computer will suddenly freeze and I would have to manually restart it in order for it to work again I have noticed that the frequency of the freezes start to decrease after a few manual restarts via power button but it can still tend to freeze later during use Sometimes the screen will freeze and after a few seconds will be followed by a grayish black screen and then a restart At certain times when I recover from a restart Windows will provide an error report Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode BCP E DC BCP BCP C ED BCP OS Version Service Pack Product Files that help describe the problem C Windows Minidump - - dmp C Users gene AppData Local Temp WER- - sysdata xml Any help in diagnosing the problem and fixing it will be appreciated

A:Freeze, Black Screen, Restart

Download BlueScreenView (in Zip file)No installation required.Unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe file to run the program.When scanning is done, go Edit>Select All.Go File>Save Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt.Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content, and paste it into your next reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/375357/freeze-black-screen-restart/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello,
I bought this new computer 2 months ago and i've been having some problems.
It randomly freezes while playing games (mostly WoW) or just doing other things, first the picture freezes while the mouse is still working, then the sound and the mouse cursor stop and the screen goes black saying "No Signal" and after few seconds the computer restarts.
I have attached the last 2 minidump files (only have 2 since i re-installed the windows not long ago).
I bought a new PSU few weeks ago and still i get the same crashes.
My computer configuration is:
MB: Asus M4N98TD Evo
CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 260 3.2GHz
VGA: Asus EAH5750 1GB DDR5
RAM: 4GB DDR3 1333MHz Kingston
HDD: WDC WD1600JS
PSU: Delux ATX 800W P4

Can you help me about this problem? Because at the moment i have no idea what might be causing the problems.
Thank you.

Relevancy 62.35%

After a period of time with the machine not rebooting (just fan running, no screen, looks like no disk i/o) it finally booted and it seemed like it was working. Then the cursor froze again, then black screen, and now I can not reboot again. I noticed that wuauclt.exe (supposedly windows update) was running as well as some other suspicions apps before it froze. What would you recommend I use to eliminate any malicious software, provided I can get this machine booted up again?

Relevancy 62.35%

Thank you in advance for any help that can demystify what is going on with this box The PC is a intermittent black freeze and screen custom build about years old running XP SP AMD Athalon GHZ GB ram NVIDIA Gforce display with no apparent conflicts Not a screamer by today s standard but well built and reliable until now Recently while accessing a website s quot map location quot feature my screen froze and went black for about intermittent freeze and black screen seconds before recovering The symptom can be best described as a crash or quot labored quot Refresh Coincidence perhaps Unfortunately since that episode intermittent freeze and black screen the problems began Although in Normal Mode - the pc still intermittent freeze and black screen boots up fast displaying the desktop as normal however it continuously freezes the screen goes black and comes to a crawl while start up processes load In all processes listed in TM the CPU usage is between - After start up the symptoms continue every seconds- black screen and intermittent freezing The mouse freezes and are also intermittent Click events are non reactive or take an inordinate amout of time minutes to respond Rightclick context menus are ghost translucent in appearance Programs are slow or won t load at all I made several attempts to stop running processes via the task manager and misconfig in effort to pinpoint rule out the possibility of a software causing the problem Processes are impossible to stop via task manager since the mouse locks up and screen continues it s second freeze blackout cycle The machine works flawlessly in Safe Mode where I attempted to tick off several start up processes in misconfig Applying the settings and rebooting into normal mode unfortunately had no effect on the problem I opened the box case cleaned and blew out any dust and debris with psi including the power supply Removed the ram two gig sticks and tested then one at a time in combination and alternating slots No change in the symptoms The only recent changes made before the problems occurred- were software installed iTunes about two weeks ago with no problems and with no problems to the machine AVG - up to date scans reveal no threats in the past daysMbam - up to date full scan mode reveal no threatsSAS - up to date full scan mode reveal on threatsI just updated the NVIDA driver as I m typing this- The new driver threw the pc in a continuous loop causing it reboot on it s own times in a row I am not that skilled in trouble shooting- Anyone have any ideas or procedures to check against hardware vs software diagnosis Thanks again

A:intermittent freeze and black screen

You didn't post the make and model of the motherboard. Does it have integrated graphics? If it does, pull your graphics card and use the integrated to see if this makes a difference.

Edit:

Does the computer boot to a working state now?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/376971/intermittent-freeze-and-black-screen/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello I am having problems with my computer which i cannot solve myself so i will describe my problem and i hope someone will help me The problem is that when working on the computer either playing World of Warcraft or watching movies facebook youtube that kinda stuff sometimes my screen freezes while the mouse cursor is still moving for another secs and the sound is still on then after those secs the mouse stops and the sound stops either and i get black screen on my monitor saying quot No Signal quot and i have to restart the computer so it goes back to work again I tried OCCT tests for the CPU and my VGA but i get no errors and normal temperatures I Black screen freeze then Computer tried Computer freeze then Black screen MemTest on my RAM and the first time i did it the computer crashed the same way it does after mins of the test the next day i started the test again and it ran smoothly for couple of hours with no errors So if anyone can help me with this problem I would be very grateful I dunno for sure if its Computer freeze then Black screen the RAM that is cosing the problems or anything else like the graphic card or something else My computer configuration is Motherboard Asus M N TD EVO CPU AMD Athlon II X GHz VGA Asus EAH Formula GB DDR RAM x GB DDR Mhz Kingston I'm looking forward to hearing from you

A:Computer freeze then Black screen

when testing the ram did you run memtest with one stick in at a time?

what is the make model and wattage of your power supply? if youdo not open the case and have a look at the label on the psu.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/computer-freeze-then-black-screen-577876.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello there to keep this post as short as possible heres the long story short I a fairly old computer I got some upgraded parts for it a few weeks ago here are the statistics of the computer Old means its been there for a long time year and new is the stuff I got recently Pentium Ghz Processor Old GB Corsair DD RAM New NVIDIA GeForce GTS New x MB Hard Drives New Windows XP And the motherboard is old and Im not sure what model sry The problem is sometimes when I am playing my games the computer sometimes freezes as in I'm playing the game and suddenly the game freezes and the screen goes black and indicates theres quot no signal quot on the monitor dispite the computer still making running noises also if I bang the computer by accident eg bumping into it I also goes to a black screen usally after restarting after this error I does not load just gives multiple beeps so I have to leave it offline for about minutes before it loads again I doubt its overheating as I checked for blockage dust on the fans non-working fans etc but they are all running fine anyone know what wrong with my computer Black Computer Odd Freeze Screen /

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/odd-computer-freeze-black-screen-198457.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi guys I m not entirely sure but I think this problem started around the time I upgraded my GPU to an ATI Its really strange and VERY annoying Doesn t happen all the time but only right after logging in to Windows XP and while the windows chime is playing the sound will cut off and the monitor will turn off freeze log & screen XP after black Solved: in no signal and then nothing happens no restart Solved: XP freeze & black screen after log in no blue screen I have to restart the PC manually I can t even get into damn safe mode because all I am faced with is a black screen monitor is on but no picture I have done all the basic steps i e Virus Scan even root kit scan Check Disk Memory Test tried disabling services and programs also did a Windows Repair to no avail If only I could get into quot Safe Mode quot I could do some more testing I have a feeling its got something to do with the graphics card problem is I don t have a spare card that I can test or a spare PC to test it in at this time Any ideas Specs XP Pro SP ASUS M N-SLI Deluxe AMD Athlon X ghz Gb Ram non dual channel ATI Radeon Really appreciate any help from experienced Support guru s out there nbsp

A:Solved: XP freeze & black screen after log in

$20 to the person who helps me resolve this, I promise.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-xp-freeze-black-screen-after-log-in.973889/