Windows Support Forum

RAM memory not in dual channel, why?

Q: RAM memory not in dual channel, why?

My system is one month old, or something. I assembled it together with a friend. Since 1st day, CPU-Z does not report dual channel with my DDR3 Corsair Vengeance LP CML8GX3M2A1333C9 8GB ( 2X4GB ) 1333MHz. The sticks are in the slots the mobo manual recommends (A2 B2).

In the BIOS, I could not find the information if they're in single or dual channel.

My chipset and mobo drivers are all up to date.

Edit: Solved (by myself) . All I had to do was uninstall an re-install a newer version of cpu-z. I'm a hero.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ram-memory-not-in-dual-channel-why.182412/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: RAM memory not in dual channel, why?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 90.73%

Here's the problem, I'm building my new PC as we speak and I bought this mammoth cpu cooler (which while I knew it would be big I didn't read any reviews stating it covers a memory slot) which fully covers up my first ram slot and the heat spreader is too tall on the memory to try and weasel it in there. The Gigabyte's instructions tell me that there are two "dual channels" one using 1 and 3 and the other using 2 and 4. I installed the RAM into 2 and 4 because there is no other way for it to work. Is there any reason I wouldn't get the same performance out of slots 2 and 4 as opposed to 1 and 3?

A:Solved: Can dual channel memory be installed in channel 1 rather than channel 0?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-can-dual-channel-memory-be-installed-in-channel-1-rather-than-channel-0.930609/
Relevancy 85.57%

Would it just clock the ram down and if so would there be a huge performance hit?

Thanks,

Kevin

A:Dual-Channel Memory in Single-Channel Motherboard

They would work in a single channel motherboard, and it wouldn't effect the speed of the actual RAM however it would effect the overall speed because the memory wouldn't be able to send data back and forth as fast as it could in Dual-channel motherboards.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-in-single-channel-motherboard.71276/
Relevancy 85.57%

I have a problem and I think it s memory related I read the post about quot Dual-Channel Memory in Single-Channel Motherboard quot But it didn t help plus it was memory channel Dual board? single in Channel from Here s my computer it s old I know I don t have the money to upgrade all of it - Intel Pentium D GHz - EVGA GeForce GS MB GDDR PCI Express - Intel D GGCL ATI Socket Dual Channel memory in single channel board? MicroATX Motherboard - GB x MB PC DDR MHz CL Memory - Ultra -Watt power supply - Windows XP bit I recently bought a memory upgrade GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR PC Dual Channel Kit My computer worked fine minus the small memory amount before I installed the new memory After I installed the new RAM my computer posted got to the windows splash screen got to the log in screen let me log in then loaded the OS While loading the OS and launching other start-up programs my computer froze I restarted many times and it fixed it It never got past a few seconds after loading the OS and a few programs I reinstalled my old memory and it worked fine again without a hitch What is the problem Is it the fact that the new memory is dual channel and the motherboard is single channel I re-read the specs of my mobo and it said that dual channel is optional However when I go to the BOIS menu F on startup it says quot single channel mode quot whith the new dual channel kit is in Is there something in the BIOS I should change Something to download Please Help Thanks in advance - Veng nbsp

A:Dual Channel memory in single channel board?

Well, I can say I solved my own problem.

After I spent the last 4 hours trying to find the problem. I ran a bunch of mem tests, cleaned the mem slots, etc... It turns out it wasn't a hardware issue at all. I was wiggling my mouse on start up and noted the time it froze... and every time it froze an application was launching in the system tray.

Turns out it was Norton F'ing Anti Virus....

The second it launched the computer froze. So I booted in safe mode and disabled the start up and all other functions of Norton. Rebooted in normal mode, and sure enough, it worked! Without a hitch!

Now here comes the Beach of it. Since I couldn't uninstall Norton because I disabled it (i.e. nothing would run because all the extensions, shells and services for it were dead), I rebooted in safe mode to uninstall, BUT Norton doesn't work in safe mode... WHAT!? The damn program specifically states in a condescending dialog box that you "must reboot in normal mode to access Norton... blah blah blah"

What kind of Virus program doesn't let you access it in safe mode? Isn't that the point, to run a virus scan in safe mode? Piece of crap! But anyways, I digress.

So now I finagled a way to run in normal mode without Norton launching to uninstall it. Uninstalling as we speak, actually.

*SO*

To answer my own question:
Yes, dual channel kits work in single channel boards (Just make sure you uninstall Norton before you put the new RAM in, haha).
- Veng

p.s. After this... I'm switching to McAfee or some sh*t.... Christ. YOU HEAR ME NORTON!? GO SUCK A FAT HAIRY LOBSTER C*CK!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-in-single-channel-board.141757/
Relevancy 83.85%

My current computer, which I bought late 2004, came with 512MB dual-channel RAM. Because of the 70 updates to Win XP that have occurred since then, with their attendant security crap that burdens the system, I decided today to double my RAM to 1GB. I did that by buying a single 512MB PC 3200 DIMM.

However, my PC has 2 pairs of memory slots. The original 512MB were installed as two 256MB DIMMs, one in one slot in each pair of slots so it was accessed as "dual-channel" RAM. My ASUS MoBo book says that if you insert a SINGLE DIMM in any slot, the entire memory will be addressed as single-channel. So my question is, what's the difference in speed between dual- and single-channel memory? Am I cheating my computer out of higher memory speed by installing a single 512MB DIMM vs. using two 256MB DIMMs which would run as dual-channel memory?

A:Dual-channel vs. Single-channel memory

Yep, although the actual effect may not be that noticeable. You are cutting the memory bandwidth in half.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-channel-vs-single-channel-memory.559931/
Relevancy 79.55%

I've been running Kingston HyperX 240-Pin DDR2 675 (PC2 5400) Dual Channel SDRAM for over a year now. I just realised that it is only running in Single Channel mode. I'm pretty sure it's because my mobo Foxconn 915A01-P-8EKRS only supports Dual Channel with a bandwith of up to 533 (PC2 4200). My question is, if I purchase the 533 version will I be able to run the new pair with Dual Channel while running the old pair with Single Channel?

(I know that the old pair will probably jump down to 533 also.)

Also, do you think it would be worth it for $100? Is there a noticeable difference?

Thanks for the help.

A:Mixing Dual Channel Pair and Single Channel Pair Memory question

need more specs

does your mobo have 4 ram slots if so use the 1st and 3rd that should run it in dual channel !!

also make sure you on have 2 sticks in not 3 :slurp:

and the answer is to your question what ever the lowest speed ram is. the other ram will be clocked down to run at that same speed the lowest speed
takes the rains !!!
and you will notice the difference running dual chanel

but for reall speed difference ditch your ram and buy GEIL ULTRA

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/mixing-dual-channel-pair-and-single-channel-pair-memory-question.42151/
Relevancy 78.26%

I have a computer I built and used since 2010 running well. It has two matched 4GB sticks of DDR3 for a total of 8GB. I have two remaining slots (empty) for ram on the motherboard to add more ram. Do I need to find the exact same memory as the ram I am currently using or does it matter?

A:Question regarding Dual Channel Memory- Mix or Match Memory

If you can get the same kit again it would be best but if you can get a kit with the same timings, speed, and voltage you should be okay. You should use cpu-z to find out your kit model and timings it supports. CPU-Z | Softwares | CPUID At the moment your two current sticks should in the white slots.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/377014-question-regarding-dual-channel-memory-mix-match-memory.html
Relevancy 77.83%

Hello I just registered on this board after learning a bit about dual channel memory from posts here Didn Channel memory & Dual P-805 Core Dual t learn enough though First off thanks for the scoop on why dual channel doesn t work with Athlon XP I once had it in an ASUS board Dual Channel memory & Dual Core P-805 that was supposed to run dual channel I could not tell the difference in performance when it booted up in dual channel mode vs single channel The BIOS displayed Dual Channel memory & Dual Core P-805 which it thought it was running on boot-up I am now building up a system with a Pentium D in a ECS P M Pro-M mobo This is claimed to support Dual Core operation A couple of general questions Regarding Dual Core and Dual Channel Memory operation Dual Channel memory & Dual Core P-805 are they totally independent Will both features work together or can you just get one or the other or neither on this combo I see NO mention of dual channel memory in the mobo manual I plan to run Win on this machine Does that support Dual core Dual Channel or both Or are these modes totally independent of the operating system software My understanding of Dual Core operation is minimal I guess it means you could have one core running MS Word while the other runs MS Excel or plays a game Is this correct If so is the operator in any way aware of the machine operating in this mode or have to do anything to make it operate in the dual core mode Or is the operator totally unaware of the dual core operation except for hopefully better performance Should I be looking to stuff the memory in this mobo with quot dual channel quot single-sided pair of DDR PC dimms MHZ for best performance the top mobo rating If so is there any reason I should NOT use PC MHZ dimms for the sake of possibly overclocking or using them in a faster mobo in th future I am currently using PC dimms with an AMD Sempron in a MSI mobo rated only for PC memory It is working fine In general I would guess faster memory would work in a slower system but I don t really know that can be expected in all cases I realize this is a lot to choke on all at once My apologies and thanks a bunch nbsp

A:Dual Channel memory & Dual Core P-805

Faster memory will work at a slwer speed, you can use both at the same time, and I think your Mobo supports Dual-Channel, but im not sure. You will notice the differance either way with more memory.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-dual-core-p-805.69178/
Relevancy 76.54%

I do some memory Dual-channel computer work for a small non-profit company where the workstations are HP dc MT s P processor with two MB PC DDR DIMMs for total RAM of MB WinXP is the OS The DIMM frequency is probably - or MHz The computers all have memory sockets actually two pairs if you run them in dual-channel mode I want to improve their performance at minimum cost so thought I would add more memory which since DDR memory is outdated will be relatively cheap However I also want to ensure that I don t force the workstations to a run in single-channel mode or b wind up with memory that runs at the speed of the slowest DIMM Here s Dual-channel memory what HP says about adding memory quot In dual channel mode the DIMM pairs must be identically matched DIMMs in the XMM and XMM black sockets must be identical DIMMs in the XMM and XMM blue sockets must also be identical Therefore if you have one preinstalled DIMM in socket XMM and are adding a second DIMM it is recommended that you install an identical DIMM into the XMM socket If you are populating all four DIMM sockets use identical DIMMs in each socket otherwise the system will not operate in dual channel mode quot I know the DIMM pairs must be identical in sockets amp and in sockets amp But if I buy two GB MHz DIMMs to put in sockets amp leaving the MB DIMMs where they are now in sockets amp will all of the memory run a in single channel mode and or b only at the MHz frequency of the original DIMMs -- in which case it s a waste of to buy MHz DIMMs If that s the case what I would do is pull the MB DIMMs from some workstations and install them in other workstations as a pair to increase total RAM to GB I would install two GB DIMMs only in the - workstations that have the quot heavy quot users I know this is a long explanation but wanted to give you all the details Need your advice nbsp

Relevancy 76.54%

I am building a new system in about a month. I am not a hardware wizz, and have a question dealing with RAM selection. I have been told that Dual Channel memory is the way to go, offering more speed than normal RAM.

My real question is, what is the difference between a pair of 2 x 512 Dual Channel memory sticks, and a pair of 2 x 512 "normal" memory sticks? And do you think it is worth the extra (about) $60 for the Dual Channel over the non Dual Channel?

A:Dual Channel Memory help...

I wasn't aware that "normal" memory couldn't be run in dual channel Is it worth $60?

Not to me...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-help.16821/
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi, If I buy a motherboard with 4 RAM slots that are 800Mhz ready. Should I fill 2 slots with 1gb modules in each or have all 4 full with 512mb in each. Will this make it work in dual dual channel because I have identical memory in both the 2 yellow slots and 2 black slots? Any help will be great thanks.

Jack-O-Bytes

A:Dual Channel Memory

Identical memory in both slots of a bank (sometimes the slots of the bank aren't the same color, check the manual) will enable dual channel operation. 2x1 GB is preferable over 4x512MB as it creates less of a strain on the memory controller and you can avoid many issues by doing it that way, as well as having room for an upgrade later.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-channel-memory.865602/
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi everyone I have an oldish computer which has an ECS NFORCE -A V mobo and Im Dual Help Memory Channel running Windows Professional It uses DDR RAM I currently have X MB Corsair ValueSelect VS MB modules running in dual channel which I have been running with for years I have Dual Channel Memory Help just purchased X MB Corsair ValueSelect VS MB modules to fill up the remaining slots to add a bit of a boost DDR is pricey As I don't actually have the computer with me at the moment so I have some questions If I add the new modules to the motherboard will I still run Dual Channel Memory Help in dual channel X and X The new sticks are single sided chips and the older modules are double sided I have heard nightmares about using these together only after I bought them Will this pairing work fine How do I determine which sticks are older manufacture age The ones I just got have Corsair printed on the PCB in gold and Value Select written on the chips My ones have no PCB logo and have the sail logo on the chips So which are newer How much of a noticeable speed boost will there be going from GB on bit Windows to GB I would really appreciate the help because I dont know if everything I have mentioned is compatible Oh and heres my mobo link if it helps http www ecs com tw ECSWebSite Pro uID amp LanID Thanks

A:Dual Channel Memory Help

1) If I understand the question like I think I do, yes. absolutely.

2) the reason the new ones are single sided is because they half as much ram, so the have half as many...of those things I can't recall the name of. I have never heard of such an issue arising from this. I have heard of issues with different speed sticks being used together, and some people might not realize that that is the actual problem. Hopefully someone else has heard of it before and can provide more info

3) I thought you said you just bought them. Did you get them used? If not, they can't be too old. If yes, I'll try to figure out how.

4) In 64-bit windows, I would think you would see a significant performance increase. Honestly, 64bit Windows on 1gig of DDR ram sounds horrible to me. The usual recommendation is 4gigs, but that could cost you $100 to buy.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/97798-dual-channel-memory-help.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I just purchased everything i needed for my new system except the memory as the motherboard supports dual channel pc3200/2700/2100 up to 2 gig. Here's the deal though, i can find 1 gig of dual channel memory but it is 512x2, is there no such thing as 2 gig dual channel 1024x2? I want to max out the memory but am unable to find what i need.

Chris

p.s. i only have 2 memory slots that's why i need two 1024's

A:dual channel memory in over 1 gig

i dont know anyone that makes pc3200 1gb's

what speed are u looking for? obviously lower down the speeds its easier to get 1gb's tho... such as pc2100 ecc stuff is common for servers and the like

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-in-over-1-gig.7834/
Relevancy 76.54%

I have a question in dual channel memory The answer is probably here i just missed it Anyways i have an Abit IS MOBO whit dual channel capability And so i went and bought a pair of Kinkston Pc Dual channel Mb sticks that came together for that reason So slot and are taken up If i buy more to put in slot and but a differnt brand PNY will i have have dual channel on both kinds of memory memory channel Dual keeping in mind that they are all Pc Mb for a total of GIGs or do all the memory have to be the same brand and also if the new ones PNY don t come in a package for dual channel would it be better to get just one GIG pny now having dual channel for the kingston but not for the PNY or will that totally shut off the dual channel capabilaty Thanx for any help Oh and how do i know if i am even running in dual channel right now I have a P so i can t change the multiplier but my FSB is running at or whatever it is will that mess up the dual channel process too nbsp

A:Dual channel memory

O.K. i found out it is running in dual channel mode witha prg called "HWiNFO32". Just need to know if i can add The (PNY) brand witch i know is cheep but if it comes in pairs it should also have dual channel. if not i hope adding the 1GIG stick of (PNY) will not sut the Dual channel down across the board.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory.49770/
Relevancy 76.54%

I want to install another 1x2GB ram stick in my dual channel slot...will it run with a stick that is simply 667Mhz or i have to buy a new dual channel it...
i have 4 ram slots on my board (max-8Gb)....
plz help>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

System spec-
CPU - Intel C2D 2.20 GHz (E4500)
BOARD - Intel DG33FB
SMPS - Odyssey 450 watt
DRIVE - SONY Optiarc DVD RW AD-7190A
HDD - ST3802110A (80 GB) - 7200 rpm
Video - XFX 8600gt 512 MB: DDR3
RAM - Simmtronics DDR2-667 Mhz
-(PC-5300) Hyundai 2 GB DDR2-667 DDR2DRAM (5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz)
(4-4-4-12 @ 266 MHz) (3-3-3-9 @ 200 MHz)

A:Dual Channel Memory

You simply have to put one stick in each channel of the board. I think Intel usually uses a blue socket for the primary in each channel. So, 1 DIMM in each blue socket and you're good to go, dual channel capable. You would only need to use the black sockets if you were installing 4 sticks of RAM.

Are you sure you don't mean 2 sticks X 1 GB each? You do need 2 identical sticks for true dual channel operation

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory.111005/
Relevancy 76.54%

i have a 3.00 ghz processor a 512 mb ram a 256 vram and 160 gb hard disk
will it help me if i install a 1 gb dual channel memory ? in total i will have 1 gb and 512mb ram, am i correcet? will my computer work well if i install de dual channel memory???

i have a 3.00 ghz processor a 512 mb ram a 256 vram and 160 gb hard disk
will it help me if i install a 1 gb dual channel memory ? in total i will have 1 gb and 512mb ram, am i correcet? will my computer work well if i install the dual channel memory???

A:please help....about dual channel memory...

Please stop opening new threads/posts for this problem.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-help-about-dual-channel-memory.62343/
Relevancy 76.54%

Im just wondering about dual channel memory.

Say there is 2gb kit (2x1gb) 667MHz Dual Channel, would each card have 333 each? or each seperate one have 667MHz?

also if i had more memory faster than 667MHz, say 800MHz, they would be running at the slower speeds of 667MHz yes?

A:Memory - Dual Channel

nope.its much faster.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/memory-dual-channel.875079/
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi
I plan to buy a mobo with dual channel enable.
Now I already have 2 x 512 MB bars ( PC 3200 ) in my old PC.
Will they work " dual " in my new mobo ? or do I have to purchase " dual DIMMS " ?
Excuse my ignorance.

Relevancy 76.54%

I have a biostar M7NCD ultra (8.x) motherboard (i think that's the right letters) and it supports dual channel memory, so i have kingston 2x256mbs stuck in the slots. is there any way i can tell that they're operating correctly?

A:Dual channel memory

Everest Home Edition will tell you about your configuration, including the memory mode. You can also run it's memory benchmark with one and two modules installed, you should see the difference.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-channel-memory.314617/
Relevancy 76.54%

I need to know if my memory is dual channel or single channel so I can put it in the same slots as my mobo manuel tells me to. I have two sticks of Samsung 512MB PC3200.

A:How can I tell if my memory is dual channel?

You should have 3 RAM slots, 1-2-3. For dual channel install the sticks in 1-3 or 2-3. 1-2 will be single channel.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-tell-if-my-memory-is-dual-channel.19615/
Relevancy 76.54%

i have a total of 5gb of 5300 memeory in 4 slots,it shows in windows as 5gb but only as single channel.
is it better to be dual channel memory and how do i go about making it so.

A:dual channel memory

Dual channel is better, you need matched sticks to do it, if it's in single channel mode then at least 1 pair of the ram is not matched.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/dual-channel-memory-359192.html
Relevancy 76.54%

I was looking at RAM sticks for my laptop and I read that my computer does not support dual channel memory. What exactly is dual channel memory and is it important?

A:dual channel memory

Dual channel memory, is just another upgrade, one step up, from normal memory. Humans enjoy making things better. DDR2 DDR, you've seen that right? If your laptop does not support dcm, then it is probably old, or just built with single memory. Some computers, don't let you change anything inside of them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-channel-memory.654868/
Relevancy 76.54%

Will dual channel memory give me better performance than just one stick of the same quantity if my motherboard doesn't support dual channel.
i.e. is 2 X 512mb better than 1 X 1gb

A:ram memory dual channel

CDBongo said:

Will dual channel memory give me better performance than just one stick of the same quantity if my motherboard doesn't support dual channel.
i.e. is 2 X 512mb better than 1 X 1gbClick to expand...

Hi,

If your motherboard does not support dual channel, then it makes no difference which you use. I would suggest the one gig stick, and that way it is easy to purchase another one gig stick to take you up to 2 gigs.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ram-memory-dual-channel.487198/
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi

I'm just about to buy myself some new guts for my machine and have decided I can stretch to

Asus A7N8X-L Deluxe motherboard http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/motherboards/asus/motasua7n8x/motasua7n8x.htm

and a AMD XP 2600
http://www.microdirect.co.uk/companypages/products/cpus/amd/athlonxp/cpuxp2600/cpuxp2600.htm

my question is about RAM I can only afford 512mb at the moment what I need to know is, is it more beneficial performace wise to buy 2 x 256mb or 1 stick of 512mb and are there any other issues with RAM that I need to be aware of?

Thanks

Relevancy 76.54%

Hi there I have just memory Channel Dual DDR for SP2 XP purchased an additional Meg stick of DDR RAM for my system I have a ASRock Dual- GL Motherboard with Intel P g which does support Dual Channel The stick that was in my system is DDR Dual Channel memory for XP SP2 PC U mhz Check my main board at asrockamerica com Products i GV htm lt --- i have had to place spaces in that u r l as to allow it to be DDR Dual Channel memory for XP SP2 posted When i shove it in excuse the expression it does boot up first as normal and tell me that it is now in Dual channel mode and has the total of meg but the problem i have is with XP It then starts up XP and within a minute or so it shuts back down gives me a critical error message when it restarts again My only option is to run XP in safe mode with networking I have tried a restore which did work in that the settings were restored but still the same result I have also frigged around with the BIOS settings in the hope of configuring it to suit the new stick but no changes i make there including a quot flexible memory quot option seem to make any difference at all When i removed the stick and restarted back on my single stick as i am now it works fine but have me an critical error message when logging into XP stating that my pc had RECOVERED from a major incident and the crash diagnosis tool directed me to Intel to update my graphics controller driver I will likely try the new stick again now that i have updated this driver since then but as i hate using XP in safe mode browsing is SOOOOO tedious can anyone shed any light on this Is there an easy way to configure XP BEFORE i put a new stick in Also the sticks i have are ALMOST identical They are both M and are both x meg boards but the part ID code is SLIGHTLY different The make is ELIXIR and the part ID of the new one is M U DS HB G- T where my new one is M U DS HC G- T There is B instead of C Should this really make any difference seeing as though my system recognised the Dual Channel mode immediately And is this likely to be effecting XP Could this be a clocking sync issue Id be so grateful if someone could give me ANY info at all here Cheers Heath thebuckstopshere at yahoo com lt ----- spaces here as well nbsp

A:DDR Dual Channel memory for XP SP2

Download this app, put it on a floppy as the instructions will tell you.
Boot one stick in from the floppy, then boot with the other stick in.
If you get errors, the stick is bad.

In the future I would stay away from Elixer, In my opinion you can't buy a lower quality brand of ram.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ddr-dual-channel-memory-for-xp-sp2.402817/
Relevancy 76.54%

Dual Channel Memory - Using DDR400(PC3200) Memory Modules

Channel A
DIMM 0
DIMM 1

Channel B
DIMM 0
DIMM 1

CHANNEL A DIMM 0 + CHANNEL B DIMM 0 = 6.4 GB/s transfer rate
(3.2 GB/s) (3.2 GB/s)

CHANNEL A DIMM 1 + CHANNEL B DIMM 1 = 6.4 GB/s transfer rate
(3.2 GB/s) (3.2 GB/s)

6.4 GB/s + 6.4 GB/s = 12.8 GB/s accumulated transfer rate

Does this sound right? I am confused about the concept of Dual Channel. I read many detailed articles on Dual Channel DDR based memory, but am slighty side-tracked. One DDR400 memory module on channel A in position 0, and one DDR400 memory module on channel B in position 0 take their individual transfer rates of 3.2 GB/s and added together = 6.4 GB/s, correct? Vice versa for Channel A and B position 1. Maybe someone can lend me a URL with a more detailed description? This is one of the articles I have reviewed.
http://www.kingston.com/newtech/MKF_520DDRwhitepaper.pdf

Thanks for the advice in advance.

Relevancy 76.54%

I have 512MB of RAM (2 sticks of 256MB). If I want to upgrade to a gig (by getting another 512) do I have to get two more sticks of 256?

Thanks.

A:Dual Channel Memory....?

In terms of reliability, lowering latency, resources and possible further expansion in the future - you'd be better advised to get two 512 modules.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-channel-memory.486018/
Relevancy 75.68%

Back in August I did something I know I shouldn t do I installed two new hardware components and upgraded to Windows XP Service Pack at Dual-Channel Possible Memory Problems the same time which meant that when I started Possible Dual-Channel Memory Problems to have problems I couldn t trace it to a specific item or action Anyway after I did this I began experiencing random shutdowns in Windows XP SP The system would operate without a problem sometimes for several hours sometimes for days sometimes for only minutes but the random shutdowns would inevitably occur When the system recovered I got a quot Windows has recovered from a serious error quot message followed by a Web site message informing me that a device driver caused the error although never stating which one I ran the Windows memory diagnostic utility on the memory modules Kingston kit of two matched MB DDR PC modules and they checked out OK When a Microsoft support rep told me his review of my system minidump files identified my ATI video driver as the culprit I replaced the ATI card with a nVidia FX AGPx card I replaced the power supply with an Antec NeoPower and I even replaced the motherboard after short-circuiting the original BTW my motherboard is a Shuttle AN N-Ultra and my processor is a AMD Athlon XP None of these remedies worked and I was attributing the random shutdowns to Windows XP SP Recently on a whim I removed one of the two Kingston memory modules Possible Dual-Channel Memory Problems which I was running in dual-channel mode I ran MemTest on the remaining module and it checked out OK even after passes My system has been stable for days now and I m going to give it another week just to be sure I then plan to swap memory modules test the replacement module and then run my system for two weeks to see if it remains stable If what I suspect is true the dual-channel mode of operation may be responsible for my system s random shutdowns I was running my system with a single memory module prior to the installations noted above Is this possible If that s the problem how do I correct it to effectively use dual-channel mode and get the most out of my system Thanks for your help Regards Ron nbsp

A:Possible Dual-Channel Memory Problems

I solved my problem with random shutdowns, and I wanted to share the solution with everyone. After experiencing the problem on three separate motherboards, I isolated the problem by identifying the common components and concentrating my troubleshooting efforts on those.

I experienced the random shutdowns on two separate iterations of the Shuttle AN35/N Ultra motherboard. By way of explanation, I short-circuited the first motherboard while replacing the ATI Radeon 9200SE video card I originally suspected as the culprit with a nVidia GeoForce FX5200. To avoid going through the Windows and MS Office product activation process, I ordered another Shuttle AN35/N Ultra as a replacement. The random shutdown problem persisted, however. Thinking perhaps the Shuttle motherboard was the problem, I replaced it with a Gigabyte GA-7N400-L motherboard, but the random shutdowns continued.

Perplexed, I decided to identify the components common to both motherboards, and that narrowed my troubleshooting options down to the nVidia nForce2 Ultra400 chipset, the Kingston KVR400AK2/1GR memory kit, and the AMD Athlon XP 3200+ Barton CPU. I tested each of the memory modules individually using MemTest86, and they passed with flying colors. When I tested them together in dual-channel mode, however, I got several errors. This was borne out in real-world testing; when using only one memory module, my system was stable, but when I added the second and ran the system in dual-channel mode, it would shut down randomly and without warning.

I did some research on the Web and learned that AMD chipsets are notoriously finicky when it comes to timing issues between the memory modules and CPU. Apparently, if they are not running in synchronous mode, then the systemís operating stability is affected. I checked in the BIOS and found that the memory frequency setting was ďBy SPD,Ē which meant the system was retrieving the memory timing from the modules themselves and not basing it on the front-side bus speed of the CPU. Since the modules were rated at 400 Mhz, and the FSB was also at 400 Mhz, I didnít think this setting would be a problem. I changed it, however, to ďAutoĒ so that the memory timing was synchronized with the FSB speed. Iím happy to report that I havenít had a random shutdown in a month, even with both memory modules operating in dual-channel mode at 400 MHz (398 MHz according to SiSoft Sandra!).

This has been a frustrating yet educational process. I hope this solution is helpful to someone else who may be experiencing this problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/possible-dual-channel-memory-problems.287518/
Relevancy 75.68%

I am currently running XP, and I have dual channel memory.

Right now I have x2 1GB DDR2 RAM chips (so 2GB of RAM)
They are in the corresponding slots.

I'm thinking of getting more RAM, but because XP can only see up to below 4GB of RAM, would it be better to get 2 more 1GB chips? Or just one 2GB chip? (I can get 2GB cheaper)

If I was to have the two existing chips running on dual memory, am I still able to just put in one more chip of ram, while leaving its other corresponding slot free?

Thanks a lot.

A:Dual Channel Memory on XP questions

read: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic65114.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-on-xp-questions.129574/
Relevancy 75.68%

Is slots of memory in performance better than slot using the same amount of RAM e g x GBs of DDR Laptop Memory or x GB of DDR I think I know the obvious x GB in slot correct Also I have seen some lower ended laptops - say with just a skylake i U perform better with DDR than overkill of DRR - DDR seemed to have latency issues like bottle necked traffic I have seen where there is this second lag before a program responds when opening a new application using DDR where an i th gen seems to utilize DDR laptop memory much smoother instant gratification while opening up a new application BUT overall while the application is up and running DDR has the advantage to perform better being its at a higher frequency - HZs as opposed to DDR at HZs so is there sometimes a trade off using DDR over DDR in lower ended Channel Memory? or Dual is Better What Single laptops say those who do not have a dedicated graphics card One more unrelated question if I can While swapping out a mechanical drive is as easy as they say correct I am not concerned about my programs I have on the mechanical drive I just want to swap that mechanical drive out for an SSD I do the swap use a USB boot to Windows downloaded on that USB media created tool boot using the USB option correct or just boot normally and your BIOS will automatically detect the USB Media created tool Just a bit confused on just how easy all of that is while doing a swap like I say not worried about saving previous programs and files they all exist on an external drive anyway Hope that isn't asking too much Hope my usual windows forum responders reply -

A:What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory?

Hi,

In theory a set of matched 2*8GB modules should be faster. In practice however I'd doubt anyone would notice a difference.

I have a machine equipped with DDR3 (I7 4770) and another running DDR4 (I5 6500). Not a fair comparison but I haven't noticed the impact of the type of RAM used. The amount of it, yes. Of course the I7 CPU is much more powerful than the I5 too.
Swapping a HDD out for a decent SDD makes the most difference overall.

Cheers,

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/69011-what-better-dual-single-channel-memory.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Is slots of memory in performance better than slot using the same amount of RAM e g x GBs of DDR Laptop Memory or x GB of DDR I think I know the obvious x GB in slot correct Also I have seen some lower ended laptops - say with just a skylake i U perform better with DDR than overkill of DRR - DDR seemed to have latency issues like bottle necked traffic I have seen where there is this second lag before a program responds when opening a new application using DDR where an i th gen seems to utilize DDR laptop memory is Memory? Dual Single What or Better Channel much smoother instant gratification while opening up a new application BUT overall while the application is up and running DDR has the advantage to perform better being its at a higher frequency - HZs as opposed to DDR at HZs so is there sometimes a trade What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory? off using DDR over DDR in lower ended laptops say those who do not have a dedicated graphics card One more unrelated question if I can While swapping out a mechanical drive is What is Better Dual or Single Channel Memory? as easy as they say correct I am not concerned about my programs I have on the mechanical drive I just want to swap that mechanical drive out for an SSD I do the swap use a USB boot to Windows downloaded on that USB media created tool boot using the USB option correct or just boot normally and your BIOS will automatically detect the USB Media created tool Just a bit confused on just how easy all of that is while doing a swap like I say not worried about saving previous programs and files they all exist on an external drive anyway Hope that isn't asking too much Hope my usual windows forum responders reply -

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/69011-what-better-dual-single-channel-memory.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I am currently running my system using 2 of my 4 banks in dual channel with a matched pair of 512MB PC 3200 sticks of Ram. So riddle me this, I now want to fill the other 2 banks with another 2 sticks of 512MB PC 3200 Ram. If the new pair I'm getting is comparable specs, the only difference being that the set I already have is Corsair, and the new set will be Kingston, should that create any problems for me? I'm not worried about very small drops in effeciency, b/c I'll just overclock untill I am back to normal or beyond, but I just want to make sure that all 4 banks don't have to be identical, just each set of two.?

A:Dual channel memory, all 4 banks

& we are supposed to guess the system specs on which you will install the extra Ram ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-all-4-banks.20037/
Relevancy 75.68%

I have amd 3200+ cpu on motherboard abit nf7-s2 with dual channel support
and 2 identical memory sticks each 512MB DDR400.

When I ran the latest sisoft sandra, it reports:
memory bus speed 2x200MHz (400MHz data rate)Click to expand...

But I have DDR400...
Does it mean that each memory stick should work at 400MHz and NOT at 200 as reported by sisoft sandra?

A:dual channel memory speed

DDR stands for "double data rate". So an easy way to look at it is that it does things twice every clock cycle. That's why it's 2 x 200 or 400MHz.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-channel-memory-speed.280379/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hows everyone doing this is my channel help Dual in AV8 need I some memory an mobo with fifth forum ID i have created trying to find answers to this problem i am having with my new I need some help with Dual channel memory in an AV8 mobo ram I just can t find anyone with the same problem or adequate knowledge to help me Anyways this is whats going on if anyone could help me please do I have an Abit av with VIA k t pro vt chipset the bios version is k t p- - a L a c- I had a stick of corsair mb xms pc memory in DIMM for some time until I wanted to upgrade I bought Corsair twinx pc DDR memory gig http www corsairmemory com corsair x - pdf the latency for this pair is this memory is also double-sided this is what I need some help with Dual channel memory in an AV8 mobo happened I took out the old mb ram and put the two new modules in Dimm and dimm just like the manual says to do so now out of the four dimms dimm and are the only ones occupied So i turn the power back on and reboot Everything is fine and dandy for day then BAM out of now where while playing a memory intensive game my system crashes reboots but nothing comes up on screen So i then open up the case and find that the computer is posting c I look up this code in the manual and it says quot expand compressed memory bios code dram quot I have no idea what this means but i decided to take the module from dimm out just to see what happens i shut the power off and take it out reboot and i get back to windows Now listen to this lets call the two sticks of I need some help with Dual channel memory in an AV8 mobo ram i have ram and ram ram and ram in dimm and equals no boot black screen post code c ram in dimm equals boot to windows HOWEVER ram in dimm no boot black screen post code quot C quot this then leads me to believe I have a bad peice of ram However i don t understand why it is bad when it worked for one day Anyways Lets say it is not bad ram what BIOS configurations could i do to make the ram work together like it is suppose to Also does the latency of this ram have a combatibility issue with this mobo and chipset I know there are alot of latencies out there but do not know how they relate with my system nbsp

A:I need some help with Dual channel memory in an AV8 mobo

Might have some bad memory I would next run a test on both sticks to see what it comes up with. You can download a memory tester here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-need-some-help-with-dual-channel-memory-in-an-av8-mobo.44983/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi i just built my first computer and everything is running fine except my memory wont run when i try and put it in dual channel. i had to put it in single channel to make sure it wasnt my RAM and its running fine. when i ask some friends they said it was always default for them any help would be much appreciated thanks.
im running a AMD 3200+ CPU ASUS a8n7x mobo and 2 512 sticks of corsair RAM

A:Dual channel memory issue

werent there some issues with asus Nforce boards and corsair ram a while back? have you changed any bios settings? and are you running the latest available bios?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-issue.37987/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi I m having trouble getting two mb memory sticks to work properly in dual channel mode on my computer My system specs are as follows Gigabyte GA-K NF- Latest bios drivers - F nForce x AMD Athlon S GHz x DDR mhz CL memory sticks is branded RAmos the other has no brand name ATI Radeon X XL MB Memory Dual Channel Problem PCI-E The problem I m having is to do with getting dual channel mode to recognise GB of memory on my system because at the moment it is only recognising Dual Channel Memory Problem MB of memory My system only reads both memory sticks when they are working in single channel mode I took the memory sticks to my computer parts supplier he tested both sticks on his computer and had no problems I m not sure if he was running the memory in single or dual channel mode though I ve read the manual for my motherboard I ve read through different forums including this one and I ve read the article explaining dual channel memory at this website www hardwaresecrets com article None of these helped with my problem There is an interesting part in the article though that discusses how instead of the chipset controlling dual channel mode Athlon S cpus handle dual channel memory via an embbeded Dual Channel memory controller Page Does anyone here have a solution to my problem nbsp

Relevancy 75.68%

Please could anyone help me out with the benefits of having a dual channel memory controller on a motherboard like on the new Nforce boards Im going to upgrade my pc channel dual memory controller and want to make the right choice Also does it mean that to get the benefit of the dual channel feature that you have to install two seperate DIMMS I know a DIMM is dual dual channel memory controller inline memory module so for example is dual channel memory controller one stick of pc DDR ram already memory modules in one So by implication DIMMs would occupy slots on the m board but would be like memory modules I have a suspicion that I may be a bit confused on dual channel memory controller the subject I want to get a top flight board to offer some future proofing the only demanding application I forsee is for games I would like to upgrade new m board amp cpu myself if I could track down the procedure somewhere and pitfalls to avoid can anyone reccomend a site covering this for amateurs like me Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-channel-memory-controller.127450/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hello giddy I have a question about dual channel memory How can I tell if my memory is running in dual channel mode I know the motherboard will running in Memory channel? dual determine whether or not it runs in dual channel by the configuration of the sticks on the board But is there any way of knowing for sure I ve read somewhere about checking for bit versus bit But I m not sure about where to check and what to look for Currently I m running sticks of PC mb Kingston I know I should be running PC I Memory running in dual channel? plan on upgrading in the future I have stick in slot on Channel quot A quot and stick in slot on Channel quot B quot I thought with GB of memory I would Memory running in dual channel? be able to notice a difference between Single Channel both sticks on Channel quot A quot or Channel quot B quot and Memory running in dual channel? Dual Channel stick on each channel but there doesn t seem to be a noticable difference Am I doing something wrong or just not running the programs or games that I d notice the difference with I don t really play games anyway just basic PC usage Here are my system specs Processor Intel P C GHz w MHz FSB Motherboard MSI G Neo -PLS Memory Kingston ValueRam GB x MB PC Hard Disk Western Digital GB RPM IDE Please let me know if you need any more information Thanks in advance for your replies ahnadahodo nbsp

A:Memory running in dual channel?

hello, ahnadahodo.

I think Dual Channel (a.k.a. DDR2) will only run on latest 9XX chipset. I think I875P works too. It works in latest AMD Chipset nForce3. Dual Channel has memory on both sides.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memory-running-in-dual-channel.20338/
Relevancy 75.68%

When time allows, please read my signature--red print. The motherboard manual tells me that with two sticks of ram stuck in the proper DIMMS will give me dual channel memory. Well, my new computer came with 512MB DDR400 and so I ordered another stick just like what I had; even the same brand name. One stick is in DIMMA and the other stick is in DIMMB just as my manual says they should be.(The third DIMM is empty) Now, other than the computer recognizing the GB of ram, how do I know that the dual channel feature is working? I don't know that I am seeing faster processing but according to my reading, I should be. All comments are welcomed. And as usual, TIA

Relevancy 75.68%

My questions are:

1. If I get a new motherboard and would like to keep my data on my hard drive without having to make back-ups and reformatting/reinstalling the OS, how would I do that?
2. For Dual Channel memory, you have to put the memory on the same color memory slot, correct? And once you do that, is it listed as dual channel memory, or is there something in the BIOS or windows that I have to configure to enable dual-channel?

Thanks.

Relevancy 75.68%

Hello,

I have a Dell 4700 Desktop with two sticks of 256MB (PC2-3200) DDR2 RAM. These are installed in the 1 and 2 DIMMs in order to take advantage of Dual channel memory.

However, I am planning of adding two more [different] sticks (1GB each) to DIMM slots 3 and 4. Will the system still take advantage of the dual channeling, in this setup?

Also, I am wondering greatly if I buy this new RAM, and it operates at PC2-4200, 5200, or 6400, will this disable the dual channel? What PC-xxxx RAM should I go for?

Also what is a good CAS latency to look for on RAM? What exactly does the PC2-xxxx number refer to?

Thank you.

Relevancy 75.68%

Can anyone tell me how to get Dual Channel memory working on an Asus A7N8X-X, 2 sticks DDR pc2700, XP2400 cpu, FX5700. I have checked the Bios and cannot find the option to enable/disable this feature. The board has 3 slots for ram..1 and 2 are together and 3 is apart from them. I have tried all configurations with slots and with different sticks from my other Pc. I have read the manual start to finish but no help. Any help will be gratefully accepted.

Andrew.

A:Dual channel memory problem

The A7N8X-X motherboard ( based on the nForce 2 400 chipset ) does not have a Dual Channel memory controller. Only the A7N8X-E Deluxe or A7N8X Deluxe.

Have a read -> The ASUS A7N8X-X / A7N8X / A7N8X Deluxe Thread.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-problem.11962/
Relevancy 75.68%

I was having problems with quickpar and newsbin pro, all files were corrupted or missing. i ruled out application and OS errors so i decided to test my ram with a microsoft ultility. One test failed. So i tested the sticks individually, both fine. So i then put them in dimm 1 and 2 and everything was fine. I only get errors when in dimm 3. Do you think mt new motherboard is duff?

Its a gigabyte ds3 and im using kingston 667mhz ddr2 ram.

I havent checked if that was causing my corrupted downloads yet though, but if the mobo is duff i can send it back. thanks for reading.

A:Memory dual channel problem

Are yolu trying to say that you have two sticks of RAM (2 X 512), or three sticks combination of 1 gig of RAM.
If you only have two sticks and seat them in DIMM 1 and DIMM 3, skipping a DIMM slot, ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memory-dual-channel-problem.59842/
Relevancy 75.68%

I am currently running my machine with two 512 mb sticks in dual channel mode. I have a third stick laying around but according to my mb manual I must either populate all four memory slots or just two of them in order to run in dual channel mode. My question is: Will I get better perfomance running 1.5 gb ram in single mode or should I stick to 1 gb ram in dual channel mode?

A:Dual vs single channel memory

Most things out there now unless you are doing some serious multitasking or video/graphic rendering 1GB is plenty of memeory and you probably won't see that much of a differnence with 1.5 or even 2. Unless you do some of the other things mentioned or play BF2. From what I have heard that game really seems to like running on 2GB of memeory for some reason.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-vs-single-channel-memory.52372/
Relevancy 75.68%

Sup guys Overkill!!!!! Channel Memory Dual Possible HELP!!!!! would really appreciate some info and advice here I have an Intel D PBZ motherboard and i previously had sticks of DDR Corsair Platinum Series XMX MHz I wanted to upgrade in memory so i recently installed gigs of A-Data DDR to fill out my slots I find that with the sticks installed i have serious sound issues loud screeching noises when trying to run video games and then when exiting the games the noises continue when running Possible Dual Channel Memory Overkill!!!!! HELP!!!!! any application using sound When i used just sticks the games became stable Am i stuffing in too Possible Dual Channel Memory Overkill!!!!! HELP!!!!! much memory that this mobo cannot support also is there some type of software to adjust the memory voltage on this mobo or will i be forced to get a new mobo that will allow me Possible Dual Channel Memory Overkill!!!!! HELP!!!!! to change the voltage on It does ask when installing to adjust to V Please help Thank You Specs Processor Pentium GHz Video Card Geforce Ultra Mobo D PBZ AGP Memory GHz Dual Channel A-Data nbsp

A:Possible Dual Channel Memory Overkill!!!!! HELP!!!!!

What model of A Data PC3200 did you get?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/possible-dual-channel-memory-overkill-help.42127/
Relevancy 75.68%

Ok what does this mean:
"If only one memory module or three memory modules are installed
in the DDR3 DIMM slots on this motherboard, it is unable to activate​the Dual Channel Memory Technology."

Does this mean i have to install two sticks of ram for it too boot or am i able to place one stick of ram if it helps i have a Asrock M3A77ODE motherboard and the ram im going to be getting is DDR 1333 4 GB just one stick.

Edit: Also do ide to sata converters work?

Relevancy 75.68%

My motherboard supports dual channel DDR but I'm not sure how to use it. I don't see any reference to it in the bios and the motherboard manual isn't clear on its setup. How do I activate dual channel mode? Does the memory controller automatically do it?

A:Dual Channel Memory Question

what is the make and model of your motherboard? if you have 4 Ram slots and are using two sticks of ram then slots 1 and 3 should hold the ram for dual channel operation.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-question.41140/
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi I m having trouble getting two mb memory sticks to work properly in dual channel mode on my computer My system specs are as follows Gigabyte GA-K NF- Latest bios drivers - F nForce x AMD Athlon S GHz x DDR mhz CL memory sticks is branded RAmos the other has no brand name ATI Radeon X XL MB PCI-E The problem I m having is to do with getting dual channel mode to recognise GB of memory on my system because at the moment it is only recognising MB of memory My system only reads both memory sticks when they are working in single channel mode I took the memory sticks to my computer parts supplier he tested both sticks on his computer and had no problems I m not sure if he was running the memory in single or dual channel mode though I ve read the manual for my motherboard I ve read through different forums including this one and I ve read the article explaining dual channel memory at this website www hardwaresecrets com article None of these helped with my problem There is an interesting part in the article Problem Channel Dual Memory though that discusses how instead of the chipset controlling dual channel mode Athlon S cpus handle dual channel memory via an embbeded Dual Channel memory controller Page Does anyone here have a solution to my problem nbsp

A:Dual Channel Memory Problem

I think I found my problem. I just checked the specifications for each of my memory sticks using cpu-z. I found out that both sticks are different, not only in brand, but also in specs. The RAmos is a 512mb PC2700 166mhz. The other memory stick, which is made by AM1 I think, is a 512mb PC3200 166mhz. That's probably why dual channel mode isn't working. I'm going back to test out some other memory at my supplier's store tomorrow. If none of the memory there works, I'll probably order in a new RAmos memory stick, since my RAmos memory stick (I found out a few days ago was bad RAM) is still under warranty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-problem.34428/
Relevancy 74.82%

Hi my problem is my ram won't work when i put it in dual channel memory mode, when i switch the PC on it will sound continueous short fast beeps? HELP

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P55-USB3
CPU : Intel i3 540 3.06Ghz
RAM : OCZ Gold 4GB(2X2GB) DDR3 1600

A:Ram Won't Work in Dual Channel Memory Mode

Did you built the PC yourself?
I would first check if they are put in the place correctly, and not backward or something (I did it myself :lol) both little flaps should be folded down.
If they are, remove one module and try to boot that way, then try with the other 1 in another slot.
Keep us informed!

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/179378-ram-wont-work-dual-channel-memory-mode.html
Relevancy 74.82%

How do I check to see if my RAM is running in Dual Channel? I have an ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe and I put the two identical sticks of Corsair RAM into slots 1 and 3....might have been 2 and 4, I'm not sure which. Anyways, how do I check to see if they are running in Dual Channel? Would Belarc Advisor tell me this? PC Wizard? Anyone know? Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 74.82%

Hi there!
I am way behind on my terminology and so on. I have two sticks of 512MB Kingston dual channel on a ASUS M2A-VM. My question is what dual channel means? How can I benefit from this. I also have read the manual for mobo, but I still can't figure out which slots I should put the memory in for best performance. Apparently they see a difference and made two slots specially for it, but it says I need three sticks to benefit.
I am so confused.

Thank you.

A:Dual channel memory explanation needed

Section 1.7.2 of your manual is VERY clear on ram placement for dual channel operation.

What part of that is hard to understand?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-explanation-needed.99903/
Relevancy 74.82%

i believe my mobo only accepts single channel memory, i tried to upgrade my system with dual channel, and it reboots constantly. please advice!!!!!

A:single or dual channel memory does it matter?

There is no such thing.....

The memory DIMMs are neither single or dual channel, it's the motherboard that determines how the RAM is accessed. Did you match exactly the specifications of the original RAM when you upgraded?
Please follow this link to Tedster's guide for upgrading RAM: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic47210.html

When RAM is sold as "dual channel" it simply means that there are two DIMMS (each with half the amount of the upgrade value), one for each channel of a dual channel motherboard.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/single-or-dual-channel-memory-does-it-matter.83917/
Relevancy 74.82%

hi,

i have an asus M2N-MX SE Plus motherboard...it has only two DIMM slots and under specs it says that the motherboard supports dual channel memory...i got myself two 1gb transcend 800MHz rams..my problem is that when i check (using cpu-z) if my memory is working on dual channel it shows as single channel only..please help..

A:Memory doesn't run in dual channel mode

The only Transcend (by Micron) that passed Asus testing was the 512 st 533 Mhz.

They list other brand 1Gb sticks but NOT Transcend at 800 Mhz.

Therein may lie your problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memory-doesnt-run-in-dual-channel-mode.113593/
Relevancy 74.82%

As far as I can see I have currently dual channel DDR3 RAM memory modules.
Assume it would not be written on a label sticker on the ram modules:
How can I find out if a ram modules support dual channel or not?

As I learned I have to put dual channel mondules into different channel slots to get full speed.

My motherboard has current 4 slots:
Channel A: slot 1 + slot 2
Channel B: slot 1 + slot 2

Assume I put the 2 modules into the 2 slots of channel A.
How much performance/speed loss do I get approximately?

What happens when I have two single channel ram modules:
Does it matter where (in which slots) I put them?

Peter

A:Mis-insert Dual Channel RAM memory modules?

Quote: Originally Posted by pstein

As far as I can see I have currently dual channel DDR3 RAM memory modules.
Assume it would not be written on a label sticker on the ram modules:
How can I find out if a ram modules support dual channel or not?

You can buy sets of RAM that work together,
If you have more RAM modules that are the same you can try them out in your PC It will work or it won't
Dual Channel is selected in the BIOS (this can happen automatically on some boards)

Quote: Originally Posted by pstein

As I learned I have to put dual channel mondules into different channel slots to get full speed.

My motherboard has current 4 slots:
Channel A: slot 1 + slot 2
Channel B: slot 1 + slot 2

Assume I put the 2 modules into the 2 slots of channel A.
How much performance/speed loss do I get approximately?

What happens when I have two single channel ram modules:
Does it matter where (in which slots) I put them?

Peter

Refer to your motherboard manual or have a look here as a guide only; RAM issues Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/156516-mis-insert-dual-channel-ram-memory-modules.html
Relevancy 74.82%

I want to know the different of the two dual memory channel controller....
Thanx in advance.....

A:Help:Need to know different between AMD n Intel dual channel memory controller.....

The dual channel memory architecture is both present in Intel and AMD based processor chipsets nowadays. But how does it work? Well, the original DDR specification called for a single 64-bit memory controller on the chipset, transmitting 1 bit every half-clock. Memory could be upgraded 1 DIMM at a time. (DIMM's are 64-bit) The fastest DDR standard at the time before dual channel became commonplace was PC3200 which corresponds to 200Mhz x 2, creating a possible 3.2GB/s memory bandwidth. Now the AMD Athlon XP is on the downside as far a dual channel memory goes because the front side bus doesnt go any faster than 400Mhz at the moment, so it cant take full advantage of the features dual channel memory has. Now what are the features? Dual channel specifications call for 2 independent 64-bit memory controllers, each with its own pipeline and bandwidth. So if you used 2 dual channel PC3200 memory modules in a dual channel environment, you wound have 3.2GB/s per module as long as they are on separate controllers. Most AMD boards use 3 slots with one by itself, and Intel boards use four, in sets of 2. This creates 6.4GB/s of memory bandwidth for the system, but AMD CPU's can only support 400Mhz FSB. (3.2GB/s) So AMD cant take advantage of the extra bandwidth without a FSB overclock. Intel on the other hand has the Pentium 4 on a 800Mhz FSB. (6.4GB/s) So Intel boards can take all of that extra bandwidth and use it, because before dual channel, Pentium 4 boards were limited to the single 64-bit DDR controller, which only could feed about half the bandwidth the FSB has. (a single DDR 400Mhz module can push 3.2GB/s max on a 6.4GB/s max FSB so 3.2GB/s FSB bandwidth is thoeretically unused until dual channel memory was introduced) To use the dual channel architecture, you must have at least 2 DDR DIMM's, both on separate channels. Today Dual Channel DIMM's are sold in pairs because even if you buy each module separately and they are the same, they may be fabricated differently, by buying a dual channel kit you have two tested modules that are the same. For P4 boards, its a plus, but AMD Athlon XP boards cannot use it. The newer Athlon 64 on the 800Mhz FSB can use it, as well as the Opteron and Athlon 64 FX. I hope this answers your question.

------
Stack Overflow: Too Many Pancakes...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-need-to-know-different-between-amd-n-intel-dual-channel-memory-controller.9092/
Relevancy 74.82%

Hi

I would like to know, what happens with 3Gb dual channel configurations when they are 2Gb and 1Gb sticks (or any other odd config)..?

I was told that up-to 2Gb its dual-channel and the other 1Gb is single channel...but I'm not sure if thats correct. I would have thought that the computer cant initialize dual-channel config due to the mis-match of memory modules (size) and would run in single channel mode..

can anyone clarify this issue?

thanks in advance

EDIT: changed to make it more clear i mean size of sticks and not types/brands/timings/chips etc

Relevancy 74.82%

Hi,

I have an MSI P45D3 Platinum motherbord and 2x2GB Kingston memory sticks in it connected in dual channel mode.

After I installed Windows 7(before that I used XP) my computer randomly freezed or rebooted. I found out that a memory problem caused it.

When i removed one memory stick it worked perfectly, and when I tried it with the other one it worked with it also.

If I put the second memory stick back, the freezes appear again. I tried putting them into different slots but it never worked when both of them were in it.

I also tried testing them with Memtest86+ when both were installed, but no errors were shown.

I have no idea what could cause all this. Please help me!

-MSI P45D3 Platinum motherboard
-Kingston ValueRam KVR1333D3N9K2/4G RAM
-Intel Core 2 Quad Q9400 CPU
-Gigabyte Nvidia Geforce 9800GTX+ graphics card
-Western Digital 500 GB hard drive

A:Strange memory problem with dual-channel

Those symptoms can happen if the motherboard is defective, or if the voltage to the RAM is not up to specs.

Your RAM is on the MB's compatibility list and has all the correct specs. Each stick works alone and both stick pass Memtest. There is not many other places to look.

Are you overclocking, or have you made any changes in your BIOS?
Does you BIOS settings have any advanced configuration options?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/230369-strange-memory-problem-dual-channel.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Hello All

I am building a new machine and am a bit puzzled about whether all ddr2 pc2-8500 is dual channel, specifically the Crucial Ballistix kit, part # CRUCIAL TECHNOLOGY BL2KIT12864AA1065 Ballistix 2GB PC2-8500 (DDR2-1066). I saw it advertised as DC on one website only, no where else does it say that. I have seen other brands all prominently displaying the DC banner but not this one. Clarification on this matter would be appreciated. Thx lots peoples.

A:Solved: Is all PC2-8500 memory dual channel?

In matched pairs it will run dual channel. The memory controller determines that. You just need to have matching sticks installed to make sure it runs properly.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-is-all-pc2-8500-memory-dual-channel.620431/
Relevancy 74.82%

I just put it 2 new 1GB memory sticks where my former 512mb sticks were.
The former sticks were 512MB PC2-4200's.
The ones I put it are 5300's and are both the same make and brand. Identical...
When I run CPU-Z it shows that I'm still in single channel... Before with my former memory sticks it showed dual... Now when I throw the former ones in there it will remain single...
Anyone know how I would go about going back into dual channel? Hopefully with these new memory sticks.
Thanks in advance.

Here are some specs if they would help.
Motherboard
Manufacturer: Micro Star International
Model: MS-7248R

Processor
Intel Pentium D 805

New Memory
2x 1GB PC2-5300 Hyundai Electronics

BIOS
Phoenix Technologies, LTD
Version: W7248AG2 1.0K

Video Card:
ATI Radeon HD 4550

A:Dual Channel Memory Stays in Single

Ensure that you put the modules in slots having the same colour. Dual channel slot pairs are usually colour coded. If not, then check your mobo manual to determine which slots constitute the pairs.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-stays-in-single.137591/
Relevancy 74.82%

Hello,

I have been having some memory issues and I am going to run some memory checks tonight to find out where the culprit lies.

I am running 2x 500mb and 2x 1gb sticks. I believe the culprits are one of the 1gb sticks. My question is, if I find that only one of the sticks is in error, will I be able to simply remove one of the sticks and still run the other two as dual channel? I have a friend that says he's not sure if you can run a single stick of dual channel memory without it's mate (if sold in a kit). I don't know if that's true or not... so I'm coming to you guys (and gals) for help.

A:Dual channel memory issues and question

There is no such thing as Dual channel Ram
ie all Rams single, double or triple (whatever) will work
But your motherboard supports 2 Ram cards making Dual Channel (making them quicker)
Single Ram cards will therefore not utilize Dual Channel, but will still work

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-memory-issues-and-question.138377/
Relevancy 74.82%

Hello all Quick background I have an Asus A N-SLI Deluxe board running a socket AMD X with Gb x Mb memory sticks I believe were manufactured by Infineon I noticed my computer was blue screening quite a bit recently while trying to encode burn DVDs I took the standard advice and ran memtest while I had my x Mb sticks in slots A and B for dual-channel mode After passes it had errors I proceeded to test each stick individualy in the B slot and both were allowed to run passes with no errors I also ran both sticks in the B and B slots and allowed it to run passes with no errors Last night I tried dual-channel again but this time the memory was in slots A and B Considerably less errors but still had errors and all were on test I ve deduced it must be a problem with the motherboard likely the northbridge chipset that controls the memory Any other ideas to get my memory running in dual-channel mode again or should Mode Problems in Memory Dual-Channel I just forget it and use the solution I discovered nbsp

A:Memory Problems in Dual-Channel Mode

You might try changing the memory voltages/timings in the bios, and make sure that memory type is supported by your Asus motherboard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/memory-problems-in-dual-channel-mode.106534/
Relevancy 74.39%

Quote With motherboard makers having already started announcing the debut of their first P -based motherboards it comes as no surprise Kit Out P55Ready New OCZ Rolls Dual-Channel DDR3 Memory that all the other hardware vendors are OCZ Rolls Out New P55Ready Dual-Channel DDR3 Memory Kit also showing support for the new mainstream platform On OCZ Rolls Out New P55Ready Dual-Channel DDR3 Memory Kit that note the San Jose California-based OCZ Technology has announced today the debut of its new low-voltage DDR memory specifically designed to provide users with support for the new Intel P Chipset and the upcoming series of Core i Core i and Core i socket LGA -compatible processors The new DDR memory will be available in dual-channel kits boasting a capacity of GB OCZ is excited to introduce a complete range of new DDR dual channel memory kits that are engineered specifically for Intel s cutting edge P platform commented Alex Mei CMO for the OCZ Technology Group These gaming kits make use of high quality hand screened chips to deliver exceptional performance and stability at surprisingly low voltages when paired with the latest Intel processors and chipset The memory vendor has released several new memory kits available as part of the company's Gold and Platinum lines of low-voltage memory modules Available in kits of x GB modules the new DDR memory from OCZ can be found in several configurations boasting different latency specifications From - - - to - - - these new solutions are expected to provide consumers with a memory choice for their upcoming Intel-based mainstream desktop systems Aside from the high level of performance that they can provide the new modules have been equipped with the company's XTC Xtreme Thermal Convection heatspreaders designed to effectively dissipate the heat over the memory ICs Unfortunately OCZ hasn't released any details regarding the pricing and availability of its new memory kits but they should become available really soon following the official introduction of Intel's much-anticipated mainstream platform refresh Source

A:OCZ Rolls Out New P55Ready Dual-Channel DDR3 Memory Kit

I thought they were already making low voltage triple channel kits for a while. I saw triple channel and dual channel low voltage kits listed on the site months ago designed for the i7. Is there a difference between those and the ones this mentions?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/22272-ocz-rolls-out-new-p55ready-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi, I have a computer with a DFI Lanparty Nf4 sli-dr motherboard, AMD Athlon 64 3900+, and 4 sticks of 512mb of PC3200 ram. I had a friend tell me that because of the way i have it set up (the ram along with the processor) that because of AMD's memory controller archetecture it will slow my memory down to PC2700 (333mhz), but if I only had 2 1gb sticks it would be at it's supposed clock speed. Is this right?

A:AMD/Dual channel memory combo = decreased speed?

Download CPU-z & see at what speeds they're running.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-dual-channel-memory-combo-decreased-speed.54153/
Relevancy 74.39%

I have a dual-core laptop with 3 gigs of ram running Windows 7x86. If I understand correctly it's not running in dual channel mode because of the size mismatch. I can replace the 1gig stick with another 2gig stick which should enable dual channel mode, but will it make much difference? Is there a synthetic benchmark I can run to test the bandwidth? The extra memory isn't expensive and I would get a little more usable ram, but I'm guessing the benefits will not be dramatic. Any thoughts?

A:Will dual channel memory noticeably improve performance?

I think you are guessing right. A lot will depend on the RAM usage pattern. You may get a small hit for the caching of Superfetch, but for running your apps you will most likely stay below the 2GB mark anyhow. That is easy to check in Resource Monitor > Memory tab.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/206994-will-dual-channel-memory-noticeably-improve-performance.html
Relevancy 74.39%

My laptop - Toshiba A135-s2276 (released in feb 2007)
Is it possible to determine for certain if my laptop supports dual-channel memory??

Currently it has 512mb and am thinking of adding another 512 (if it supports dual channel)

other users of the same laptop reported that cpu-z doesn't show any indication of dual-channel.
Any way to be certain of this? Its a new laptop so i am hoping its supports dual-channel.

A:how to determine if laptop supports dual-channel memory

Your laptop can be upgraded to upto 2 gigs of ram. However, it doesn`t support dual channel memory operation.

If you need further info, you can phone Toshiba on 800-457-7777.

Regards Howard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-determine-if-laptop-supports-dual-channel-memory.88533/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi Guys,
My first post on this fourm so please excuse any mistakes...

This is a new build.
msi z97-g43
G3420 CPU
16g vengence 2400 ram running at 1333
OS on SSD runing win 7 sp1

I've mem tested both sticks of ram independently and now also in dual ch configuration and all tests are positive after 9+ hrs. But when i boot into windows i get ramdom BSOD error 124 or c9 but only when in dual ch config.

Ive enclosed the mini dumps for you to check over.

I have also ran the verify driver win 7 app and got BSOD on HIDCLASS.SYS

reading about this issue some people say its a usb problem?

FYI - Ive tried cmos clear (as recomended from msi support)
Ive increased the ram voltage

but both have had no affect.

Any help would be amazing as im at a loss and want to throw this pc out the window!

A:random BSOD in dual channel memory mode 0x00000124 or c9

Hello timmy2x2, I will try to help you, if I can, but it may take me a while. First I would like you to do a couple of things for me. If you haven't already, please disable driver verifier. The purpose of driver verifier is to make your system crash. We may go back to it later, but for now, please disable it. You did a good job with your system specs, better than most. But I would like you to add as much detail to it as possible. We often have to look up the specs of a component and need the Manufacturer and model to do that. Also, please add your PSU and CPU cooler. Hopefully this will help you, in case you don't know some of the info. Please also include what anti virus you are using, in case you didn't already.
Please fill out your System Specs

Information
Your System Specs will help us to help you, and doing it in this manner will make them available to all helpers in every post and keep us from hunting for them. We ask that you fill them out in as much detail as possible including Desktop or Laptop, Model number if it is an OEM computer and all components with the Manufacturer and Model number if possible.

If you will go to your last post and click the 'System Specs' in the bottom left of the post, you will find a link to update your system specs. Please fill those out in as much detail as possible, making sure to click save at the bottom of the page. If you would like to know what we would like, you can click 'My System Specs' at the bottom left of this post to see mine. If you do not know what your components are, this will help you accomplish this task. System Info - See Your System Specs

Can you please tell me if you did a clean install when you built the computer. Also, where did you get the motherboard drivers you installed?

What I am seeing right now is

Code:
BugCheck 124, {0, fffffa800d228038, ba000000, 58000402}
Probably caused by : GenuineIntel
Followup: MachineOwner
A bugcheck 0X124 is a generic code for a hardware failure or a bad driver that makes the hardware act as if it has failed.

Code:
DRIVER_VERIFIER_IOMANAGER_VIOLATION (c9)
The IO manager has caught a misbehaving driver.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000220, IRP_MJ_SYSTEM_CONTROL has been completed by someone other than the ProviderId.
This IRP should either have been completed earlier or should have been passed
down.
Arg2: fffff880053bb710, The address in the driver's code where the error was detected.
Arg3: fffff9801823ecf0, IRP address.
Arg4: fffffa800e4c0040, ProviderId.
An I/O violation is many times a hard drive read or write.

Code:
BugCheck C2, {60, fffff88003545000, 0, 0}
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for amifldrv64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for amifldrv64.sys
Probably caused by : amifldrv64.sys ( amifldrv64+1a04 )
Followup: MachineOwner
That, I believe is a driver for the MSI utilities that come with the motherboard. At least for now, please uninstall all MSI Utilities.

Hopefully we will get this sorted out soon, but for right now, I haven't looked at all your dumps, and need to spend some time on them.
Please go to your motherboard's web site and download all of the most current drivers for your computer. After installing them, please open an elevated command prompt ( click start, type cmd in the search box, right click on the cmd entry and select run as administrator) in the black box that opens, copy/paste sfc /scannow. If you decide to type it, notice the space between the sfc and the /. It is a system file checker which will scan your system files and attempt to correct any missing or corrupt files. What we want are the results to say windows found no integrity violations. If it says files were found but could not be repaired, close the box, reboot and run it again, after opening the administrative command prompt. You may have to reboot and run it three times for it to repair all system files. If it can't repair them after 3 ... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/367120-random-bsod-dual-channel-memory-mode-0x00000124-c9.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Components Gigabyte GA- A-D Rev AMD Phenom tm II Dual-Channel Constant w/ Memory BSODs/Soft-Locks X Processor G Constant BSODs/Soft-Locks w/ Dual-Channel Memory Skill Sniper F - CL - GBSR GB x NVIDIA GeForce GTX Windows x CPU-Z txt report attached as well Problem My system runs mostly stable with RAM in single-channel configuration When I put my RAM in dual-channel mode I get a BSOD roughly every - minutes I've tried the following -Ran MEMTESTx against RAM in dual-channel mode for hours No errors -Swapped RAM out with known-good RAM GSkill RipJaw GB x put in dual-channel mode Issues continue -Re-formatted system Issues continue -Re-installed and verified latest available drivers Despite having my recovery options set to generate a memory dump file and to not automatically reboot the BSOD flashes on the screen for a few seconds before rebooting without displaying anything Occasionally the BSOD will actually come up with a specific bug check code which changes frequently but is usually KMODE EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED but the 'collecting information' section stays at and never increases I've ran Driver Verifier to see if I could track down what was causing the issues but that's causing an immediate BSOD at login which I ran through the debugger and came back with a 'non-fatal error' according to Microsoft's bug check reference web site As of this morning I put my friend's RAM in in dual-channel mode and started incrementing the voltage for the RAM per some various forum threads indicating that that may resolve stability issues It was originally at v issues persisted at v v and v I've also ran the following tools -Prime hours no issues -FurMark hours no issues -Microsoft's memory checker All RAM good -SeaTools Drive Check hours no issues I also ran Prime FurMark and SeaTools all at the same time to try to identify any issues with insufficient power cooling issues with rails etc for hours No issues at all Any ideas

A:Constant BSODs/Soft-Locks w/ Dual-Channel Memory

I have the same problem:

870-UD3 Rev2.0
Phenom II 965
Gskill Sniper F3 1600mhz
R9 280x

BSOD During playing games all the time

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/constant-bsods-soft-locks-w-dual-channel-memory-968665.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hi, i bought this notebook with AMD A10-8700P CPU and i would know if is possible upgrade the ram, with 2 modules (2x4gb or 2x8gb), using Dual Channel. This information is very important, because all AMD APU, works better in Dual Channel than Single Channel. Thank you very much.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?91635-Toshiba-Satellite-L50D-C-18X-Dual-Channel-memory-support
Relevancy 72.67%

If you install a single DIMM in an Intel Dual Channel Memory system you will achieve only half the Memory performance that should be possible Installing matched pairs of DIMMs in the correct sockets will double the Memory Performance and increase the overall system performance always matched of DIMMs memory - Channel pairs install Intel Dual by - compared to systems with the single Intel Dual Channel memory - always install matched pairs of DIMMs DIMM Background Intel Dual Channel memory - always install matched pairs of DIMMs For background information on the Intel Dual Channel Memory Architecture please see these documents Intel Dual Channel DDR Memory Architecture White Paper http www kingston com newtech MKF DDRWhitepaper pdf Dual Channel DDR memory can balance the performance of the Intel Pentium processor with MHz front side bus http www intel com design chipsets dual ddr sb pdf Personal Experience I bought a PC from a major manufacturer that had a single factory-fitted MB DIMM I installed a matched pair of PC DDR DIMMs - in the correct sockets - and measured the following memory performance improvement Pentium GHz Single DIMM MBytes sec Dual DIMMs MBytes sec SiSoft SANDRA benchmark The Intel and Kingston documents suggest that this results in a - improvement in overall system performance I did not learn about this possible performance improvement by reading the manufacturers literature as this aspect was poorly documented or by calling their Technical Support line I hope that this helps users understand this subject better nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/intel-dual-channel-memory-always-install-matched-pairs-of-dimms.32762/
Relevancy 72.24%

There are several cases I ve wanted to install memory in pairs to achieve dual-channel memory speeds but I ve come across a caveat or two about whether or not this is worth it Questions How do I calculate whether or not the FSB is fast enough to take advantage of the memory speeds I ll see cpuz refer to things like Calculating Channel the & Dual it???) bottlenecks FSB: Worth Dual-Channel (Is FSB Dual-Channel & FSB: Calculating the bottlenecks (Is Dual Channel Worth it???) memory as quot quot which I m not sure refers to the memory controller taking advantage of the up and down side of the clock waveform or if it s saying quot give up we re half the speed we need quot How do I calculate dual core beasts Do the internal quot processors quot share the FSB or do they each have their own resulting in double access speed attempts to dual ported memory note not dual channel Forgive me please my questions may be tripping all over themselves It s been a longgggg time since I ve calculated any of this out during my stint as a DSP software engineer I ll be glad to rephrase this in any way you all like nbsp

A:Dual-Channel & FSB: Calculating the bottlenecks (Is Dual Channel Worth it???)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dual-channel-fsb-calculating-the-bottlenecks-is-dual-channel-worth-it.868383/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hey soo I have a question about installing my memory on my motherboard These are the display, no question CO stuck on memory Abit channel - boot code AX8/dual parts i have put together all Abit AX8/dual channel memory question - no display, stuck on CO boot code brand new built last year Abit AX Abit AX8/dual channel memory question - no display, stuck on CO boot code VIA K T Motherboard socket AMD Athlon Corsair XMS x DDR Dual Channel TWINX - C PT so basically I built this computer last year and have had the memory in slots and But today Abit AX8/dual channel memory question - no display, stuck on CO boot code I was reading an article and it seems that in order to actually take advantage of my dual channel ram i need to put the memory in slots and I don t know why I waited so long to examine this but I was wondering if someone knew if i want dual channel support what do i have to do What slots do i need to put the ram into When i tried booting up with the ram in slots and just as the article said it booted up okay but there was nothing showing up on the monitor just black as if the video card wasnt being read or something Also the boot state number on the mother board was CO or C So after this happened i just turned it off hard stop Just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get my dual channel ram working do I need to change settings in the bios Is my motherboard actually running dual channel with slots and Any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Abit AX8/dual channel memory question - no display, stuck on CO boot code

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/abit-ax8-dual-channel-memory-question-no-display-stuck-on-co-boot-code.628770/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hey Everyone I am brand spankin new here and I have a question for someone out there I currently have a SOYO motherboard which I have been having issues with and I am going to be switching to a ECS Elite Group board in a few weeks My question is when I bought RAM for my SOYO I bought Patriot Dual Channel DDR gb pair but the ECS board I am switching to does not support Dual Channel so can I still use the the sticks normally on the new board or I do I have to get new memory or a different board I would think it would just run Motherboard, on DDR will it work? Channel NON-Dual Channel Dual them as sticks of but Dual Channel DDR on NON-Dual Channel Motherboard, will it work? I am not sure and I wanted to know if anyone else knew this or not Thanks in advance for any help and sorry if I missed this being posted somewhere else I did try and search for the answer but didnt see anything Riika nbsp

A:Dual Channel DDR on NON-Dual Channel Motherboard, will it work?

rmsilver7 said:

when I bought RAM for my SOYO I bought Patriot Dual Channel DDR 3200 1gb pair, but the ECS board I am switching to does not support Dual Channel, so can I still use the the 2 512 sticks normally on the new board or I do I have to get new memory or a different board?Click to expand...

1. Yes.
2. No.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-ddr-on-non-dual-channel-motherboard-will-it-work.18506/
Relevancy 69.66%

My ASUS P4V8X-X Motherboard does not support running in dual channel mode. But can I still run dual channel DDR PC3200 400mhz non-ecc unbuffered ram in it? Seems I could, but I won't have the additional performance gains of running in dual channel mode. Does anyone know for certain if I can or can't?

A:Solved: Dual Channel ram in a dual channel unsupported mb.....?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-channel-ram-in-a-dual-channel-unsupported-mb.778836/
Relevancy 68.37%

My spec is in my profile, but I will also list it here.... I just noticed today that my RAM was running Single Channel mode, so I thought I would change it to Dual Channel mode... so I did.

It completes the Windows XP loading screen, then reboots... constantly, until I change it back to Single Channel mode.

Is there something wrong with my RAM? or is it the motherboard? or my PSU not giving the mobo enough power? I dont have every power cable plugged in, I have a 20 pin ATX power in the 24 pin plug, and the 4 pin ATX power plug and a 4 pin molex cable plugged into the motherboard. Could this not be giving it enough power?
Many thanks, system spec =

AMD Athlon 64 4000+
DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D
2 x 512mb Crucial Ballistix PC3200 DDR400
Connect 3D X1800XT 256Mb
2 HDD's etc.
Antec TrueBlue 480W PSU.

A:System reboots constantly, when I change my RAM from Single Channel to Dual Channel

Check your mobo manual, to see in which slots you need to put memory sticks to make it work in Dual Channel mode.
AFAIK you need 1 each of the same size/type in slots 1 and 3 (yellow) for DC.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/system-reboots-constantly-when-i-change-my-ram-from-single-channel-to-dual-channel.58206/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hey everyone I got a bit of a problem here and I'm at a loss on what to do to fix it Some background about the situation would be a good place to start A few days ago I came home from work and found my PC in a quot lights are on but no one's home quot state The power button was lit up and the fans were in motion but the monitors were in power saver mode not the normal on state with the blank screen saver I tried moving the mouse mashing on the keyboard but nothing happened So I reset the machine and it just went to a blank screen no beeps or messages just the same ole lights on no Stopped Suddenly Single Working, Remains Only Dual Channel Channel ones home deal again Now before this I had been having memory problems with blue screens saying quot memory management quot and quot IRQL not less than or equal quot So I thought it might be a bad strip of ram and even bought two Dual Channel Suddenly Stopped Working, Only Single Channel Remains more strips to replace the ones I had removed In the process of testing each strip I discovered that one was bad That was not the fix by the way After putting in the new ram in for a total of GB's of ram figured if I'm gonna buy new ram might as well increase the total amount it booted up and no more blue screens after loading into windows YaY it was fixed or so I thought Dual Channel Suddenly Stopped Working, Only Single Channel Remains A few weeks later the above incident occurred and the only way to get the PC to boot up was to pull two strips of the ram and insert the remaining strips into slots and for a single channel configuration Didn't matter which set of ram I used just so long as I didn't mix two different brands on the same channel It's never needed to be set in that manner before CPUID reports it as single channel with a blank entry in the DC mode so I assume its ganged up and in single channel YUCK While the PC is operational since I'm typing this up on it I know its not at its optimal configuration which annoys me to no end After researching the problem via Google and numerous forum post with info unrelated to my exact problem I decided to write up a post in the hopes that some one out there can help me to figure out if the problem lies in my motherboard doubtful or in the processors integrated memory controller I think its the Phenom's memory controller that is faulty or failing It's been in operation since almost continuously and its been a good computer and still is I think the new ram might have been the culprit that shot my memory controller in the back There CAS RAS ratio's do not match by one number one is at CAS the other set CAS and when all GB's was installed the ram would run at not the mhz it's rated to run So like a dumb ass not knowing enough I went in the BIOS and overrode the auto setting for the ram and set it mhz vs the mhz it was defaulting to Did I inadvertently over work the memory controller All the current Ram I have is working and not faulty So that only leaves the Mobo and the processor I don't have tons of cash to spend I'm a poor man So before I bite the bullet and buy a new Phenom to replace the one I have I'd like to try and verify if that is indeed the problem System Info Asus M A -M Motherboard AMD Phenom II X B E Ghz unlocked and over clocked it once but it was unstable back in NVIDIA GT GB mhz Core mhz Bit Width Bit to GB's of Ram when it worked it was at GB's now it's at GB for now SATA Hard drives all independent of each other not raided W OCZ PSU I think that's the gist of the system info one would need If it is indeed my processors memory controller and there is nothing that can be done with what i have on hand to correct the problem then I plan on buying a Phenom II X It's about the same price as my X was in Plus it has the same socket and should work with my motherboard Could the motherboard some how be at fault how can I test this without additional hardware Here is more information about my memory Sorry I didn't post enough information he... Read more

A:Dual Channel Suddenly Stopped Working, Only Single Channel Remains

Britton, go to the asus site for your motherboard. Download and install the latest drivers. Download a copy of your manual and review the bios settings. If need be manually input the correct timings for your ram. Also make sure to follow the ram installation documentation for which slots to use to enable dual channel.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/285468-dual-channel-suddenly-stopped-working-only-single-channel-remains.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Single channel Nforce dethrones its dual channel stablemate quote quot ENTHUSIAST SITE amdmb com discovered this unexpected anomaly which could have far reaching Socket-A repercussions Soltek s bottom dollar SL-NV - motherboard which is based on the single channel nForce chipset is the cause of all this news What is amazing is that it beat Asus dual channel flagship product - the A N X Deluxe in the majority of benchmarks Ryan Shrout the amdmb com reviewer who put Soltek s motherboard through its paces suggests that its performance lead in UT K is down to the dual dethrones Single its channel 400 stablemate Nforce2 channel additional overhead that a dual channel system board has to deal with Looking at the rest of the results I would apply that comment as a general across the board statement Soltek s motherboard retails at a new egg price of - the version without LAN will apparently be sold for under Asustek Single channel Nforce2 400 dethrones its dual channel stablemate s flagship adds an additional which would buy you a Thoroughbred and its cooling kit Will this more for less attribute drive more enthusiasts to buy Soltek s better performing solution Soltek s overall performance lead is not earth shattering but like everything else in this industry perception is everything Of the benchmarks that were run Soltek s board won of them drew and lost only one For the record Quake Evenly matched results UT K to lead D Mark K Wins by a nose PC Mark K Two out of three is good enough SiSoft Sandra K A win in memory but ties in CPU Cachemem to lead Business Winstone K amp K A win in both CC Winstone K K amp K Soltek takes the Triple Crown SPECviewperf Asus only win ScienceMark Pretty much a draw quot nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/single-channel-nforce2-400-dethrones-its-dual-channel-stablemate.6274/
Relevancy 68.37%

I'm trying to decide what would give better performance, Dual Channeled 2x256 DDR400...or Single Channeled 2x256 DDR400 and 512 DDR2100 totalling 1gb RAM. I don't seem to notice much of a difference so far, but I haven't tried much. I figured I'd ask the pros at techspot for advice. :grinthumb

A:Dual Channel 2x256 DDR400 or Single Channel 1gb Mixed DDR RAM

& we are supposed to get your system specs how ? You could be using that Ram on a 600mhz Celeron for all we know.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-2x256-ddr400-or-single-channel-1gb-mixed-ddr-ram.17766/
Relevancy 67.51%

I m facing an unusual predicament Channel Question Channel/Single Solved: Dual RAM at the moment I currently have Solved: Dual Channel/Single Channel RAM Question Windows Ultimate installed on my custom tower The Solved: Dual Channel/Single Channel RAM Question tower runs an Solved: Dual Channel/Single Channel RAM Question Intel Pentium ghz the OS is bits and initially was installed with one gig of RAM MB sticks dual channel DDR Windows wasn t sluggish surprisingly and I used the upgrade advisor to determine if my system was ready and I found it was I was hoping to add a little quot juice quot so I tore into an old system and found a GB stick of DDR RAM Now I can change the dual channel configuration to single channel operation and run Gigs of RAM or I can keep the dual channel at Gig I ve read on Tom s Hardware that the difference wasn t noticeable in dual vs single but I also know that my processor was built for dual channel Are there any recommendations Make the single channel upgrade or keep the dual channel configuration At some point I will likely purchase another chip but for the time being I m curious about anyone who has been in my position or knows memory well enough Thanks for any input nbsp

A:Solved: Dual Channel/Single Channel RAM Question

depends on you applications. When math is very important, dual channel might out weigh more RAM. If the system is generally sluggish, then more RAM is more important than dual channel.

Honestly, With Vista/ 7... I'd bump to 2GB period.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dual-channel-single-channel-ram-question.870420/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi.. So as usual im an idiot and i looked into my case and am still debating if my ram really should sit right next to eachother and i started Speccy and it said that i had single channel ram 2 different channels with 16GB total. I got confused becouse the motherboard manual said i should put the ram like i did.. So now i moved one ramstick, Whent into bios to check if everything was working like it should and now i have dual channel 16GB ram 8x2.
This started a question.. What performance boosts does dualchannel give over single channel.. I know its better but just. In what cases will it be "better" and will you notice it? And in witch scenario will you notice it?

A:Single channel VS Dual Channel RAM performance boost?

almost all mother boards that have 4 ram slots have colour coding. the 2 the same colour, normally a space in between is the dual channel setup.

dual channel effectively doubles the memory bandwidth and halves the cache.

in real world terms youll get a 5-20% performance increase with dual channel when running bench marks.. you probably wont notice it in terms of speedyness though.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/324907-single-channel-vs-dual-channel-ram-performance-boost.html
Relevancy 67.51%

This is probly a very simple question, but i'm after converting my ACER Aspire 5600 laptop from using Dual Channel RAM to Single Channel. I've been told you can do this in the BIOS, but i'm not exacly sure how. I've had a breif look on google but can't seem to find anything of any help.

Thanks a lot,
- Lee

Relevancy 67.51%

Hi guys,
I want to purchase more ram sticks for my desktop. It already has 3GB in it. 2x1GB sticks and 2x512MB sticks. I would like to take it all the way to 4GB. If I replace the two 512mb sticks am I better off getting a matched pair of sticks for dual channel. A matched pair in most stores seems to be more expensive than just buying two sticks of the same type. What is the difference? My motherboard does support dual by the way.
I think when I bought the two 1GB sticks I just bought 2 of the same make in pc world, but not a matching pair.
I would like to know, does it really matter?
Thanks.

Posted via Mobile Device

Relevancy 67.51%

Hi, I currently have 2x2GB Corsair DDR3 1333MHz RAM which I had bought around 3 years ago. I am currently thinking of upgrading to 8GB. However, my vendor tells me that 2GB sticks are no longer available for Corsair and that I have to either get a 4GB or 8GB stick.

My current 2x2GB runs in dual-channel mode. If I buy an additional 4GB stick, it will run in single-channel. I use the desktop mainly for gaming purposes. So, I just need to know if mixing 2 modes will cause any problems?

A:Any drawbacks to mixing single-channel and dual-channel for RAM?

Shouldn't cause any problems assuming it is otherwise compatible.

The difference between single and dual channel is minimal for most usage scenarios. If the RAM you have now magically went to single channel 5 minutes from now, you likely wouldn't notice.

You could discard the 2 x 2 you have now and replace with 2 x 4 and get dual channel, but nothing at all wrong with instead spending that money on cigareets, whiskey, and wild, wild women. At least you'd have something to show for it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/335110-any-drawbacks-mixing-single-channel-dual-channel-ram.html
Relevancy 66.22%

hello everyone this is my first post. any help would greatly be appreciated.

Well my question is can dual channel and single channel be used at the same time? My abit board supports single and dual channels. Right now I have one single channel stick of ddr memory. i'm thinking of adding memory, and i wondered if I get a dual channel set, can i still use the existing single memory stick? let me know thanks.

A:can dual channel ddr be used at the same time with single channel ddr???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-dual-channel-ddr-be-used-at-the-same-time-with-single-channel-ddr.358189/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi, I have 2x1GB DDR400 single channel memory. I was wondering if I could add 2x1GB of dual channel memory? So i would have 2gb dual 2gb single.

A:single channel and dual channel ddr400?

There's no such thing as dual channel memory,if the two sticks you've got now are exactly the same,then you can probably run them in dual channel.It depends on which slots you use,it's either 1&2 or 1&3.Check your manual to see,or post your motherboard make and model.Also,is there any reason why you want 4gb of memory.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/single-channel-and-dual-channel-ddr400.39586/
Relevancy 66.22%

Is it possible to fill all of the memory slots on a motherboard that supports dual channel with non-matching ram (one chip at a time as I need/afford it)? If I just put more ram in will the motherboard recognise all of it and just not take advantage of the second channel, or will it not recognise that non-matching ram in the second channel sockets?

Thanks!!

A:Dual channel RAM in single channel mode

It will recognize it but not run in dual channel if the pair are mismatched.
Ps; The pair don't have to be exact matches by the way, same speed, type, size, and timings allow for two different brands to run in dual channel.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dual-channel-ram-in-single-channel-mode.124024/
Relevancy 66.22%

Well, as it says in the title:
Is single channel 1gb as good as dual channel 2*512 mb.

I have tried to add memory to my mobo, but something went wrong and now my mobo only sees the first memory module. Really, I've tried everything and now I give up to return to normal life until I buy a new system.

So at first I had 2 * 512 mb memory at 800 mhz, dual channel.
Now I have 1* 1g memory at again 800 mhz, but single channel.

So is that ok, or is running at single channel much inferior to dual channel, even if I have the same amount of memory?

A:single channel 1gb as good as dual channel 2*512 mb?

No. Single channel is NEVER better than dual channel. Dual channel is always better and runs faster.

read: http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic65114.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/single-channel-1gb-as-good-as-dual-channel-2-512-mb.80600/
Relevancy 66.22%

im looking at a lga 2011 x79 board. namely this one>
Newegg.com - ASRock X79 Extreme6 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

but am looking at this ram>
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8Q-16GBZH

do i absolutely need to place 8 sticks of ram in? or can i get away with staggering 4 sticks accross the board instead?

A:dual channel ram in quad channel inputs.

I haven't seen any reviews of the x 79 boards, but I would be very very surprised if 4 sticks would not work.

Or even two sticks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/225782-dual-channel-ram-quad-channel-inputs.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Heya, I'm new here, recently, my friend said I had a computer that could have a "dual DDR channel"? I dont know much about computers, and i wanted to know more, so he checked my computer with a program thats called "Cpu-Z" and it said my DDR channel was Single, even though all my "RAM" slots are filled with DDR 512mbs, any reasons why?

A:Switching from Single DDR channel to Dual DDR channel?

Well there may be a setting in Bios to set it for dual channel
Or even a little jumper on the Motherboard that must be placed on the correct pins

You will need to download your computer's (or motherboard's if it's not a name brand) Manual

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/switching-from-single-ddr-channel-to-dual-ddr-channel.114512/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi, can anyone tell me if there could be a benefit buying 4 x 1 GB DDR2-800 DIMMs, as opposed to 2 x 2 GB DDR2-800 DIMMs? I know the difference between single channel and dual channel is pretty huge, but I'm not sure if it would matter going to quad from dual. I haven't found anything that really helps on the internet.

The reason I am asking is because 4 x 1GB DIMMS are about 25% cheaper than 2 x 2GB DIMMS, however for future upgrade purposes I will have to get rid of DIMMS with the 1 GB sticks, where with the 2 x 2GB I wouldn't. I think the differences between saving now and saving later when upgrading is negligible...so if there is a noticeable performance difference that would help choose.

Thanks!

Relevancy 66.22%

Will dual channel RAM work in a single channel RAM motherboard?

Relevancy 66.22%

I just bought a Dell Studio XPS with an Intel Core i7 chip and fell into the trap of buying 8GB of DDR3 SDRAM (config 2x2GB/4x1GB), which has to be dual channel. My understanding (now) is tri channel is a better way to go. Dell will not refund or exchange sticks.

Dell tells me that the mother board will support tri channel. Can I convert to 6GB tri channel simply by pulling out 2 1GB sticks and creating a 2, 2, 1+1 config, or would it have to be 3 2GB sticks. In the same way, could I buy another 1GB stick from Dell and create 9GB tri channel using a 2+1, 2+1, 1+1+1 config (or does it have to be 3 3GB sticks)?

How does 8GB dual channel compare with 6GB or 9GB tri channel memory?

Are tri channel memory sticks inherently different from dual channel sticks?

A:Question: Dual channel vs. tri channel SDRAM

Hi milrobo,
just to add to what Rick said about memory amount, have a look at this test.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/memory-module-upgrade,2264.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-dual-channel-vs-tri-channel-sdram.128834/