Windows Support Forum

Laptop won't recognize keyboard OR external usb keyboard

Q: Laptop won't recognize keyboard OR external usb keyboard

Hi,

Everything was working fine. Suddenly, when I typed on the usb keyboard, nothing happened. So I put it in a different usb port on the laptop, and it still didn't work. So I tried the laptop's own keyboard and still nothing. I'm not sure what is going on. 

I tried deleting the keyboard driver from Device Manager but that did nothing. I tried searching for this problem but all the results seem to not apply to this specifically. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

Also... I'm a n00b that knows very little about computers so bear with me

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Laptop won't recognize keyboard OR external usb keyboard

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Laptop won't recognize keyboard OR external usb keyboard

When you deleted the keyboard driver for the laptop...did you reboot after doing so?

Does your BIOS call for USB  boot via USB device?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/573633/laptop-wont-recognize-keyboard-or-external-usb-keyboard/
Relevancy 87.29%

someone please help me.. i dont know what happens to my wireless keyboard(im using usb mouse). i cant typing. just play/pause, next, previous vol up, vol down and mute.. 

A:Inspiron One 2320 - USB Will Not Recognize Keyboard(wireless and usb keyboard)

* Turn the mouse and keyboard off* Replace the batteries in both the mouse and keyboard* Turn the mouse on, then the keyboard* Disconnect and reconnect the KM632 USB Receiver into a USB port on the computer

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19992497
Relevancy 86.43%

On thinkpad X30 using XP Pro . . . System insists that keyboard is "Standard 101/102-key or Microsoft PS/2 Keyboard" and thus only some of the keyboard keys function correctly. Using Device Manager I have uninstalled the "Standard 101/102-key or Microsoft PS/2 Keyboard" and then rebooted expecting the system to recognize the actual thinkpad keyboard, but no luck. Cannot use "Add New Hardware" wizard to find keyboard either . . . ?

Additional info - I do no use an external keyboard (MS Bluetooth) when ThinkPad is in docking station.

Thank you for help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-doesnt-recognize-own-keyboard.194299/
Relevancy 85.57%

I am currently running Windows Pro bit on my PC new computer I have found that in the last couple of months my keyboard has ceased working properly By this I mean most of my special characters no longer work properly Everything from quotes to question marks exclamation marks etc are no longer working or I get completely foreign characters AFter considerable investigation I have determined what is actually happening is that the OS is not recognizing my actual keyboard and is defaulting to the On Screen Keyboard OSK When looking at my device manager it shows an HID Keyboard device and an HID compliant Mouse I am actually using a Dell KM My keyboard and mouse are wireless I have tried uninstalling both working thru safe mode and recognize OS to Win keyboard, On Screen will Keyboard 7 not defaults uninstalling I have tried re-installing the correct drivers on several occasions and in several different ways but all to no avail The keyboard was even swapped out and tried on Win 7 OS will not recognize keyboard, defaults to On Screen Keyboard a nd computer it works on the nd computer I have also tried installing a completely different wired keyboard on the malfunctioning computer with the same negative results Existing restore points have the same issue and consequently none work I have tried searching for an updated driver but it tells me the best driver is already installed and I have searched the internet for other suggestions all to no avail It is clear to me that it simply will not accept any other keyboard or mouse driver I have also tried disabling the OSK but that too fails it still continues to go to the OSK even when configured not to Can anybody tell me or suggest something new for me to try I have even tried tech support for the computer manufacturer and their suggestion is to re-install windows This is NOT an option for me I feel my only recourse may be to go into the registry settings to try and fix which Im not afraid to do but I dont know where or what the correct settings would be Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/394026-win-7-os-will-not-recognize-keyboard-defaults-screen-keyboard.html
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi everyone

Just bought a USB to PS/2 adapter for my latop. Operating system is XP. I can't get the keyboard or the mouse to work. Is ther a setting I'm suppose to make so my laptop recognizes the PS/2 hardware? Thanks for your help

Beaglehound

Relevancy 82.13%

Hi All,

My laptop had a blue screen and keyboard stops working as well, I plugged the external keyboard and re-install the windows, now half of the keys are working and half dosent.

I am wondering has the kyboard damaged, I am also not sure if the I replace the keyboard will it work?

is there any settings in bios or any utility can fix the problem, could some one please advise?

Thanks
Nysoh

A:Keyboard stops working - USB external keyboard is fine

Hello Nysoh

On this virtual way nobody can say for sure what the problem is but if the internal keyboard is not working properly first step is keyboard replacement. If the problem still persists then troublemaker can be keyboard port or keyboard controller.

As far as I know BIOS has nothing to do with this issue.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?62419-Keyboard-stops-working-USB-external-keyboard-is-fine
Relevancy 82.13%

After plugging in my external keyboard both my external and laptop keyboard no longer function The keyboards cannot type or execute shortcut commands When clicking download links it results in downloading download htm This problem persists after unplugging the keyboard but only seems to begin after the external keyboard has been plugged in After a restart computer use without plugging in the external keyboard results in no issues though I haven't done so for extended periods of time The external keyboard functions normally when plugged into another computer though it was a Mac so I'm not sure if the different operating system could have an effect here I've run a Malwarebytes scan already and it didn't pick up anything I think it's likely a virus but I can generally just use Malwarebytes to solve the vast majority of my problems so I don't know where to go from here At the moment I'm running a Spybot search and destroy scan to see if that picks up anything Malwarebytes could have missed Any help would be appreciated thank you Edit Spybot managed to pick up and delete a virus called win downloader external functions keyboard in after Keyboard no longer plugging gen I also ran TDSSkiller and picked up no root kits The problems still seems to occur

A:Keyboard no longer functions after plugging in external keyboard

Try a System Restore to a time before the problem began. If you have such a Restore point available.

1 - Restore:

restore.png   6.3KB
  0 downloads

2 - System Restore

System Restore.png   17.49KB
  0 downloads

3 - Choose a different Restore point:

choose a different restore point.png   26.24KB
  0 downloads

4 - Show more restore points
- Select a Restore point
- Scan for affected programs

show more restore points.png   18.47KB
  0 downloads

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/567844/keyboard-no-longer-functions-after-plugging-in-external-keyboard/
Relevancy 82.13%

After plugging in my external keyboard both my external and laptop keyboard no longer function The keyboards cannot type or execute shortcut commands When clicking download links it results in downloading download htm pressing F results in opening the browser menu in chrome and clicking website links results in downloading url htm This problem persists after unplugging the keyboard but only seems external plugging longer Keyboard after in functions keyboard no to begin after the external keyboard has been plugged in After a restart computer use without plugging in the external keyboard results in no issues though I haven't done so for extended periods of time The external keyboard functions normally when plugged into another computer though it Keyboard no longer functions after plugging in external keyboard was a Mac so I'm not sure if the different operating system could have an effect here I've run a Malwarebytes scan already and it didn't pick up anything I think it's likely a virus but I can generally just use Malwarebytes to solve the vast majority of my problems so I don't know where to go from here At the moment I'm running a Spybot search and destroy scan to see if that picks up anything Malwarebytes could have missed Any help would be appreciated thank you Edit Spybot managed to pick up and delete a virus called win downloader gen I also ran TDSSkiller and picked up no root kits The problems still seems to occur Edit I have used the computer without plugging in the external keyboard for several hours without issue

A:Keyboard no longer functions after plugging in external keyboard

No replies here yet ....

Download and scan with Adwcleaner. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
Copy and paste the log in this thread or read the instructions carefully on how to use ADWCleaner on the linked Webpage.

Which Brand is your external keyboard?
I am thinking there might be a driver conflict and you may be able to fix it by downloading the latest drivers from the keyboard manufacturer's Website.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/567876/keyboard-no-longer-functions-after-plugging-in-external-keyboard/
Relevancy 81.27%

I am trying to use a Logitech PS/2 media keyboard with a ps/s to USB adapter. The problem is that the laptop won't recognize the keyboard -- it gets power, the number lock light comes on -- but the keyboard doesn't show up under devices and attempting to use it has no impact on what happens on the screen. Does anyone know what I can do to get the keyboard to work with my probook? Thanks.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Laptop-won-t-quot-See-quot-external-keyboard/td-p/5830395
Relevancy 80.41%

Hello all This seems like it would be an easy one I have this Acer laptop running Windows Home Premium and I ve plugged in an external keyboard The keyboard itself has a PS connector and i ve plugged that into a ps to usb adapter and that into a usb port and ive tried multiple ports on the laptop After being plugged in the keyboard receives power through the usb the num lock key toggles the led indicator as does the function mode key but the capslock key Keyboard External Laptop Detected Not By doesn t nor does the scroll lock key and the computer detects no hardware changes and doesn t receive any input from the keyboard The keyboard is an External Keyboard Not Detected By Laptop older one id estimate about years it s a logitech the model number is Y-BH --RT R External Keyboard Not Detected By Laptop and just Y-BH resolves to this media keyboard on logitechs website http www logitech com en-gb The ps to usb adapter is also an older one i m guessing it came with an old dell dimension from the early s and i have no information on it currently The sysinfo specs are as follows Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - M CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics Family Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Acer JE HR Antivirus None i really hate typing on laptop keyboards and it accounts for much of the lazy typing in this post any ideas any help at all would be appreciated nbsp

A:External Keyboard Not Detected By Laptop

I wouldn't be surprised if a new laptop didn't work with an old PS/2 keyboard via an adapter. You can pick up a USB keyboard for $10.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-keyboard-not-detected-by-laptop.1044133/
Relevancy 80.41%

Hi all I hope someone working not laptop on keyboard External USB can help me with what is probably the strangest and most annoying problem I ve ever had with a computer I took my old Compaq Presario V and connected peripherals to it to use like a desktop PC However the external keyboard just won t work I ve tried eveything imaginable - installing updating uninstalling and reinstalling drivers again and again - nothing helps Right now all drivers are up to date keyboard is detected and according to the Device Manager working properly The strange part is that the keyboard actually works in the BIOS and when I boot from a LiveCD but not in normal External USB keyboard not working on laptop mode or Safe mode And here is what s even stranger if I uninstall the keyboard and all External USB keyboard not working on laptop Human Interface Devices there are I think and then install ONE HID - the keyboard will start to work but only until the PC is rebooted Installing the second HID will cause the keyboard to stop working immediatey The laptop is running Windows XP Home Edition SP The mouse is working perfectly If someone can help me fix this - it will be immensely appreciated I really have no idea what to do at this point nbsp

A:External USB keyboard not working on laptop

In the BIOS is USB legacy support on or off?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-usb-keyboard-not-working-on-laptop.1142300/
Relevancy 79.55%

Hi,
I am trying to connect my laptop to an external keyboard and external mouse. I bought a PS2 to usb converter as my laptop doesnt have a PS2 connector. When I connect the converter, it detects the usb device and install the drivers, the mouse works but the keyboard doesnt work. I have checked the device manager and and there is HID keyboard device and standard 101/102-key or microsoft natural ps/2 keyboard. I just cant find what is the problem.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Relevancy 79.55%

Im trying to decide if it would benefit me using a seperate keyboard than the one on my laptop, thanks

A:Using external keyboard for laptop, good idea?

I guess it would depend on how comfortable you are using the one on the notebook. I use an external keyboard and mouse on mine when I am home because it is easier for me to type and navigate the mouse.

wrs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-external-keyboard-for-laptop-good-idea.341989/
Relevancy 79.55%

Anyone else here use an external keyboard Benefits Laptop external Users: of keyboard using and think it benefits greatly I find over long periods of time on my lappie that I get soar with looking down too low and typing Laptop Users: Benefits of using external keyboard and being on a laptop for hours a day is not the most comfortable So I got an external keyboard BenQ X read good reviews on it how it has laptop keys It doesnt quite but its close I really wish I didnt sell my Macally IceKey keyboard that was the best keyboard to type on ever - but also But this BenQ isnt bad for reg Anyways Im typing on it right now and just wondering if it is worth keeping using an ext keyboard on a laptop I propped up my laptop about inches off the table so its at a better height What would you do BTW Ive only had my toshiba laptop for months and the keyboard keys are sticking so Monday my new replacement comes in do you think a laptop keyboard shouldnt be used for hrs a day every day or it will wear down and get all mucky and dirty fast Meaning a sooner replacement and the next time I would have to pay for it since the warranty will be over What do you think Laptop keyboards are like to replace Wise to use ext keyboard on a laptop keep the laptop keyboard for when Im out and cover it up with plastic when not used so the crap doesnt get the keys to stick Just lookin long term protecting my investment I know you will say a laptop keyboard should last years without having the keys stick But you would be surprised with mine I even used a plastic cover for when I was out for long times never ate around it and still so much sticky gunk - gross haha nbsp

A:Laptop Users: Benefits of using external keyboard

I'm not sure what the question is, but if I have to use a laptop extensively, I normally use an external mouse and keyboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-users-benefits-of-using-external-keyboard.366115/
Relevancy 79.12%

So I plugged a mac keyboard into my pc laptop and now ....

Some of the keys in my laptop keyboard work and some end up typing something completely different than what they are.

Anyone know how to fix this? I googled for a solution and couldn't find any results

A:Solved: Plugged a keyboard into my laptop. Now my laptop keyboard doesn't work

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-plugged-a-keyboard-into-my-laptop-now-my-laptop-keyboard-doesnt-work.854159/
Relevancy 78.69%

I currently have a Yoga Pro laptop that has Bluetooth USB ports micro HDMI port and a x resolution I want to connect it to a pair of desktop monitors lower resolution and a wired USB keyboard as effortlessly as possible since I will be moving the laptop back and forth a lot What hardware is needed to accomplish this Let s say I wanted to connect it to this EVGA dual-monitor stand haven t purchased it yet which appears to use two DVI inputs would I need some dual DVI into HDMI adapter if such a thing even exists Or would I be better off just trying to connect it to a laptop docking station If I don t go the docking station Solved: laptop external to monitors/keyboard Connecting route Solved: Connecting laptop to external monitors/keyboard I would like to connect to my wired USB keyboard via Bluetooth if possible Just googling around Solved: Connecting laptop to external monitors/keyboard came up with a few USB - gt Bluetooth adapters Does anyone have any experience with these or better recommendations Lastly will jumping from x resolution to something like two X resolutions cause any issues I don t care if the picture quality is lower on the monitors but I do want to make sure they re working full-screen I have no experience connecting a laptop to normal desktop hardware in this way so I d really appreciate any input or suggestions If you have any hardware recommendations including a docking station or better dual-monitor setup I d love to hear them Thank you nbsp

A:Solved: Connecting laptop to external monitors/keyboard

Take a look at Lenovo's USB 3.0 docks here, type your model in to get the recommended ones: http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/accessories/dock-port-replicators/
One USB cable will connect everything back to the Yoga.

The converting to Bluetooth makes no sense, you're just adding more devices and hassle. A simple USB hub would be better if you didn't go for a full dock. Connect the wired mouse and keyboard to the USB dock or buy a new Bluetooth keyboard/mouse.

Once you undock the Yoga's screen should kick back in and work at it's supported resolution.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-connecting-laptop-to-external-monitors-keyboard.1133278/
Relevancy 77.83%

Hi all. I have already posted this once here. The topic had quite a few views and not a single reply. I'm giving this another try, as the problem persists and is not getting any better.

The keyboard on my Aurora m9700 is having some strange issues. I cannot figure if it is software or hardware related, either. At random intervals, the keyboard will cease function. But when I go into standby, then come out of standby the problem seems to be magically fixed! In fact, the problem just happened right after I finished typing the last sentence. I checked event manager, nothing changed. I had to go into standby and come out of it...

So please, is there anyone on here that can help me out? I have reformatted the computer since this started happening and nothing has changed, so I do not know what could possibly be causing this!

A:Weird keyboard laptop issue. Keyboard randomly stops functioning until I standby.

Just going to keep bumping this until I get a reply, or bet banned. Every thread has some form of reply...maybe I smell or something?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/weird-keyboard-laptop-issue-keyboard-randomly-stops-functioning-until-i-standby.879922/
Relevancy 77.83%

I am using windows 8.1.
1. Go to Control Panel -> Keyboard -> Tab HardwareIn list Devices is null.
2. Go to Control Panel -> Mouse -> Tab Hardware
In list Devices is null.
How to fix this error.
Thank you!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19990117
Relevancy 77.83%

I already have the issue that when I put my E to sleep and wake it up again that the keyboard and touchpad do not work So I have disable the sleep options in the BIOS Now I run into different issues Yesterday I booted the laptop and it hang on the DELL logo After a while it stated that - External to - resons E5570 do display/keyboard/mouse work display, Black Latitude no keyboard/touchpad my EFI file would not be correct Force reboot and it booted straight to Windows What s more annoying is the fact Latitude E5570 - Black display, no resons to keyboard/touchpad - External display/keyboard/mouse do work that the laptop boot the DELL logo is shown and then the screens go s black as if it s not connected SO it looks like it hangs BUT an external monitor through HDMI does work and show the windows logon The keyboard and touchpad also do not work External mouse and keyboard do work So pretty much I got a brick when I do not have external display keyboard and mouse available When I reboot the laptop it works fine again Am I the only one with this Loads of issues with the laptop and wondering if I just have a faulty laptop Clean Windows Pro install is done times Used the nbsp DELL Command Update to install all drivers and patches Issues keep existing

A:Latitude E5570 - Black display, no resons to keyboard/touchpad - External display/keyboard/mouse do work

I have been spending a lot of hours in troubleshooting this week.
Diagnostics are 100% ok.
Reinstalled Windows 10 about 15 times.Installing drivers by hands, installing drives trhough the dell update management application.The issues keeps existing.
To sum the them up:- Cold boot (laptop is off) to Windows. Keyboard/Touchpad do not work. (Reboot and they work again)- Resume from sleep. Keyboard/Touchpad do not work. (Reboot and the work again)
After I got the laptop I installed 32Gb of RAM and an 512Gb Samsung 950Pro PCIE M.2 NVME drive.The drive should be support as Dell states on the product page and in the manual that PCIE with NVME is supported.
"Advanced features, like industry-leading M.2 SATA and M.2 PCIe/NVME solid state drives, provide data transfer speeds up to 4x faster over traditional hard drivers. "
In order to get the drive visible and running on PCIe I had to disable the sata controller in the BIOS.This way the drive is detected in Windows as an PCIe NVME capable drive.
Just to verify if the issues I went back to default with the delivered 256Gb M.2 sata drive and 8Gb RAM.To install Windows I had to turn the Sata controller back on.
Installed the drivers manually updated WIndows and tested.The issues do NOT occur.
Retested by installing the drivers using the Dell Update Application.The issues do NOT occur.
So I figured out that the SATA controller somehow is the guilty part for all the issues.I mean when enabled to ACHI or RAID the sleep and non working keyboard/touchpad issues do not occur.
When disable the issues DO occur.

So DELL can you please tell me how I can fix this as you state PCIe NVME drives are supported??

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19675844
Relevancy 77.83%

Hey guys!

I recently got a Casio keyboard, with a new MIDI cable.

I'm a music artist and I'm totally new with this 'keyboard-to-computer-via-MIDI' stuff.

I don't know how to connect my Casio Keyboard to my computer with a MIDI cable. I've mostly been using Mixcraft's music library, but I want to start something new with my new keyboard.

Can someone PLEASE tell me how I can connect my keyboard to my laptop via MIDI?

I've looked at other forum posts and contacted a few music artists..........they had nothing.

Please help!

Thanks!

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/53665-midi-keyboard-connecting-casio-keyboard-lenovo-z51-laptop.html
Relevancy 76.97%

Port?g? R700-184
Part Number : PT311E-02Y01JEN

Hi,

Can anyone tell me how to toggle wireless on/off using an external keyboard for the R700 whilst it is on it's docking station?

We only seem to be able to toggle wireless using the built in keyboard (Fn + F8) key.

Also, is there anyway that wireless can be set to off as default at boot up? Is this something that can be done through the BIOS or perhaps by tweaking a registry key?

Grateful for any assistance.

:-)

A:Enable/disable wireless whilst Laptop is docked (External Keyboard)

may seem like a silly question, but why can't you simply use the laptops keyboard????? or is it just a niggly type issue that you'd rather use external one?

unfortunatley the R700 doesnt have a hardware switch for the wireless so its purely mapped to the Fn key which is a toshiba function, so an external k/b is unlikely to be able to replicate it

you can always disable the wireless through W7 network and sharing centre -> change adaptor settings, so few clicks with the mouse or even shortcut it to taskbar/start menu for easy access.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?62358-Enable-disable-wireless-whilst-Laptop-is-docked-(External-Keyboard)
Relevancy 76.97%

I had a problem with my laptop not Several laptop keyboard working keyboard - keys on problem not which is certain key on my keyboard is not functioning The weird is it happened without a reason because Several keys on laptop keyboard not working - not keyboard problem after I shutdown doing my work when I turn it on again I discovered my quot s quot quot d quot quot g quot quot h quot quot quot quot m quot quot left shift quot quot caps lock quot and quot quot key did not work at all I try taking the key off cleaning underneath but nothing seems to be working After that I try to use usb keyboard and it seems the key can be entered So I thought my hardware is the problem than I replace into the new one but still having the same problem I already waste my money buying new keyboard Does any one happen to know what sort of problem this is and how I would go about fixing it Is it related to the registry My laptop is Acer aspire G ram GB processor i GHz I hope someone can help me to solve this problem nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/several-keys-on-laptop-keyboard-not-working-not-keyboard-problem.181333/
Relevancy 76.97%

I have a Dell M Laptop that has New different function like keys laptop (: Help! keyboard has old keyboard? layout, served me quite well for several years I just replaced the keyboard the other day and everything is working fine except that the new keyboard has a slightly different layout than the old keyboard did For example with the new keyboard all the F F F etc keys have function secondaries on them like multimedia brightness antennae toggle and so on My old keyboard New laptop keyboard has different layout, keys function like old keyboard? Help! (: didnt have most of these and so when I attempt to use them on the new New laptop keyboard has different layout, keys function like old keyboard? Help! (: keyboard they simply do not work In fact when I use function keys as if I still had my old keyboard installed the functions work which means it is the software interpretation of the keys that I need to change Does anybody know how I can fix this so that the keys of the new keyboard and functions match what the keys New laptop keyboard has different layout, keys function like old keyboard? Help! (: actually say Another thing to add is that some of the new function keys on the new laptop such as antennae toggle were not on my last keyboard at all because they are softkeys on the case of my computer and I am not sure a function like that would be able to be added to the keyboard mapping at all but I m not sure Also I would prefer to not install third party software to accomplish this even if it means I need to delve into the registry manually Can anybody help nbsp

A:New laptop keyboard has different layout, keys function like old keyboard? Help! (:

You might try holding the 'fn' key while you tap the fnumber key.
Vicks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-laptop-keyboard-has-different-layout-keys-function-like-old-keyboard-help.1042592/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hey I am pretty desperate usb does fine not keyboard but keyboard works work with laptop now as I recently got a new Lenovo z laptop keyboard does not work but works fine with usb keyboard ideapad laptop which i think its months old only All of the sudden one day the shift laptop keyboard does not work but works fine with usb keyboard key started to automatically been pressed down as if its like its being 'possessed' in simple terms and it happened at random times After much forums some say hold shift key down for secs or x amount of secs disable sticky keys filter keys bounce keys or even continue press shift keys continuously etc etc Did all those disabled sticky keys bounch keys filter keys and now whenever i on my comp the shift key will automatically be pressed down so i have to hold the shift key for like - secs to disable it than it works fine and no more occurence However a new problem occurs now certain keys on the laptop is not working like the right shift key when the right shift key is pressed down none of the letters are being capital or none of the symbols are showing BUT the left shift key does the job Than the left shift key could not caps the letter z t y m and a few more but it works prefectly fine with other keys Now i am pretty sure its not a keyboard malfunction because without pressing caps all the keys are fine but only these certain keys wont be caps when the left shift key is pressed So i decided to use an external keyboard and everything works out fine right shift key is working left shift key caps those letters which could not be caps on the laptop So what is the problem actually and how to solve it is it a keyboard driver or software problem or hardware problem Novice here Ps now i know you guys would say send in for warranty but I'm now in Australia and unfortunately i bought this machine in malaysia and my international waranty wont work cause my model is not sold in Australia yea bloody stupid for calling international warranty thanks and hope you guys could somehow help out

A:laptop keyboard does not work but works fine with usb keyboard

The fact that a USB keyboard works fine when your built in one doesn't, proves that it is the keyboard itself (or connectors) that is damaged/defective, otherwise, if it were a software problem, the external keyboard would do the same.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/548387/laptop-keyboard-does-not-work-but-works-fine-with-usb-keyboard/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi, I do a lot of typing at night time and the click of my keyoard's keys can be quite noticeable when there is pure silence. I have a Logitech K520 which isn't so loud but I would really love a keyboard that has the same type of keys as my Samsung laptop which are practically silent. Most laptops I've tried have similar keyboards in that the key doesn't travel far at all and there is no 'clicky' sounds either.

I have no idea what I would search for as I don't know what the style of keyboard is called. There are various names on the market, 'soft touch', 'quiet touch', 'low profile' etc etc but nothing that specifically identifies a laptop style.

I would just like a wireless laptop keyboard basically, even if it's the same size as a laptop keyboard but preferrably full sized.

Thanks very much for any advice

Relevancy 76.97%

I want keyboard laptop all-in-one I into trackpad my and want turn keyboard an and mouse to to remove the monitor basically gut it and turn the keyboard and trackpad of my laptop into a keyboard with built-in mouse for my desktop It s an old laptop that I was I want to turn my laptop keyboard and trackpad into an all-in-one keyboard and mouse thinking about throwing away anyway so I might as well turn it into something useful look at attachment I want be able to connect that to my desktop with USB and be able to use I want to turn my laptop keyboard and trackpad into an all-in-one keyboard and mouse it as both keyboard and mouse have both I want to turn my laptop keyboard and trackpad into an all-in-one keyboard and mouse the keyboard and trackpad work My desktop is right next to my bed so I sometimes swing the monitor around and put the keyboard and mouse on the bed But it s damn hard to use a mouse when you have bedsheets and blankets and other stuff that s soft as a surface Also I can t have any compatibility problems it needs to work with all systems in my house that I may want to connect it to Mac OS Windows XP Vista and Linux Ubuntu and Fedora nbsp

A:I want to turn my laptop keyboard and trackpad into an all-in-one keyboard and mouse

would anyone happen to know, and can give me a step-by-step?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-want-to-turn-my-laptop-keyboard-and-trackpad-into-an-all-in-one-keyboard-and-mouse.785581/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi folks I've had success on this forum before and I'm hoping someone with more knowledge of IT than me can Cannot and in laptop to keyboard on-screen unresponsive keyboard ? W7 log no suggest Cannot log in to W7 laptop ? unresponsive keyboard and no on-screen keyboard a workaround solution Cannot log in to W7 laptop ? unresponsive keyboard and no on-screen keyboard to an issue I currently have with a Windows Home Premium laptop This is an old laptop that I only use from time to time but it still has a number of files and photos on it that I don't have saved elsewhere Last time I used the laptop it was acting as if the Ctrl key was being pressed every - seconds which made the keyboard difficult to use because it triggered shortcuts as I tried to type Ctrl O Ctrl S etc Because I don't use the laptop as my main machine I decided that I'd uninstall the keyboard driver from within the Control Panel and just use the on-screen keyboard going forward Following this I powered the machine on a couple of days ago and panicked when I discovered that I couldn't get the Ease of Access dialog box to display on the login screen to allow me to enable the on-screen keyboard It doesn't produce any kind of error it simply does nothing when the button located in the left-hand corner is clicked At this point I was still hopeful that I could get around the issue by connecting a standard USB keyboard but this is also completely unresponsive although it does appear to be getting power from the laptop because the Caps Lock indicator light is lit I've tried a few alternatives connecting the keyboard before powering up during the start up process and also at the log in screen Additionally in the hope that it would automatically install a driver in the background and eventually allow the keyboard to function I left the machine running for about minutes but still nothing So just to confirm the machine has only a single user account set up on it which is password protected I can't proceed past the log in screen at all the laptop's default keyboard is unresponsive Ease of Access OSK dialog box will not display and the standard USB keyboard I have here doesn't appear to be helping either I also considered trying the above in safe mode before realising that I couldn't even do that without a keyboard unless there's another way of accessing this that I'm not aware of Any ideas - Thanks

A:Cannot log in to W7 laptop – unresponsive keyboard and no on-screen keyboard

If you are just interested in recovering your data to save elsewhere you could purchase an external enclosure for about $8.00 at Newegg, remove the HDD from the laptop and install it in the external enclosure.  You can then attach it to another computer via a USB cable (which comes with the enclosure) and access your data to recover what you want.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/591884/cannot-log-in-to-w7-laptop-unresponsive-keyboard-and-no-on-screen-keyboard/
Relevancy 75.25%

I have a HP vt6200 Omnibook laptop with German Keyboard. Recently my internal harddisk crashed and I replaced with a new IDE disk. I installed Windows XP (English US) afresh. Also installed the necessary drivers downloaded from HP site. Now the german keyboard is not working. It types multiple characters & behaves erratically. When I connect an external US English Keyboard, it works perfect. I tried changing the language/keyboard settings. It didn’t work.

I donot want to use German anymore on that laptop. All I want to use is only English. Now I am unable to use the laptop keyboard at all. Pls help !

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/keyboard-issue-on-laptop-with-german-keyboard.782753/
Relevancy 75.25%

My grandmother was in the middle of typing an email. When she hit the shift key to make a capital letter, a box about sticky keys came up, and now neither keyboard will work. She has restarted the computer, unplugged/re-plugged in the auxilary keyboard, (before, even with the auxilary keyboard plugged in, she could still use the laptop keyboard), pressing the scroll lock key didn't do anyting either.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Kirsten

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-keyboard-auxilary-keyboard-not-working.829998/
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi, I have an old Time laptop (so getting any drivers/chipsets will be a pain) that I'm using as a Home Theatre PC under my TV. I can wake up from standby with its power button, but not from its keyboard. Also, I can't do this using my Microsoft Wireless Desktop Keyboard, connected via USB (laptop doesn't have any PS2 ports).

I want to be albe to keep the laptop lid closed at all times and placed above my VCR, so having to open it every time I want to wake from standby is not ideal.

I've looked at all the APM properties for m/board and keyb but nothing. The BIOS says nothing about power management either.

Running Win XP SP2

Any suggestions? Thanks.

A:Laptop can't wake-up from Standby with own keyboard or USB keyboard

Hi

Were u able to do that before? Are u sure that your laptop is set to standby and not to sleep/hibernate mode?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-cant-wake-up-from-standby-with-own-keyboard-or-usb-keyboard.722999/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi,

On my win7 64bit Thinkpad x230i I can no longer type with either the onboard or external keyboards.  The onboard mouse does not work either.  The only thing that does work is an external USB mouse.  

So far I have tried to reinstall the Synaptics drivers from Lenovo, reinstall USB drivers from Lenovo, download a BIOS update, and update Logitech setpoint. None of those worked.  

Also, when I go to Device Manager and I right click on the mouse and keyboards it says that I have the most up-to-date drivers.  I tried to do a System Restore, but Windows says that I do not have have any restore points created.  

Is my only option to reinstall windows?

Thanks in advance!!

A:Onboard keyboard, onboard mouse, and external keyboard do not work--please help

I would go into Device Manager...uninstall the native mouse and keyboard drivers...and then reboot the system.  Those drivers should automatically reinstall with (hopefully) undamaged new drivers that return original functionality.

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/606289/onboard-keyboard-onboard-mouse-and-external-keyboard-do-not-work-please-help/
Relevancy 72.24%

I have a system running Windows XP Pro. For several months, I've been using a USB keyboard. I decided to move the USB keyboard to a new system, so I reconnected the old PS/2 keyboard.

Windows does not recognize the PS/2 keyboard now. During boot, is says hit F1 for Setup, and the F1 is ignored.

It gets as far as prompting me for my password, and since I can't type, it does not allow me to get in.

I guess I can reconnect the USB keyboard and reboot, but what can I change to get it to recognize the PS/2 keyboard.

- Chuck

A:XP won't recognize PS/2 Keyboard only USB

I did not mention that the 3 lights on the KB are lit when rebooting, but then there is no light once reboot is complete.

Also, I am using a PS/2 mouse, which has always worked.

- Chuck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-wont-recognize-ps-2-keyboard-only-usb.677186/
Relevancy 72.24%

1 out of 5 times when I boot up my computer it will say that the keyboard is not corrected properly. and when I take it out and plug it back in nothing changes. It forcesme to reboot, sometimes a few times before it will work.
What can I do? Would I be better off getting a USB keyboard?
thanks for your time.
Luke

A:PC won't recognize my keyboard.

Have you tried a new mouse, PS2 or USB?

You may have a dieing mouse, bad driver... well lets take this one step at a time. Does another mouse work?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-wont-recognize-my-keyboard.403326/
Relevancy 70.52%

i powered up this machine, and it won't even recognize the keyboard and mouse. can't use them at all. the machine is running widows XP.

any suggestions.

thanks in advance

A:machine won't recognize mouse/keyboard

New computer? PS2 mouse and keyboard? Are they plugged into the right ports? You can try the keyboard by itself and see if it will work. Try going into the computers bios with the keyboard and see if you can move around the different screens. If the mouse and keyboard are both PS2 then the ports could be blown. Some motherboards had the votage used on PS2 ports fused.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/machine-wont-recognize-mouse-keyboard.262697/
Relevancy 70.52%

I am using a home built computer with dual boot Windows 98 and XP Pro. With 98 the computer recognizes the keyboard on boot.
With XP the keyboard is not recognized on boot up. I go to system then hardware and uninstall the keyboard then tell the computer to search for new hardware. It finds the keyboard and it works. Microsoft PS/2 Intellitype Pro keyboard, I have tried two others with XP with the same result.
I have manually installed the software, gone to Microsoft for keyboard updates and XP updates. No success. I also noted a couple of other people with similar keyboard problems with XP but nothing suggested helps. Any other ideas?

A:XP Pro doesn't recognize Keyboard on first boot.

I get a keyboard error on boot and was told it was cause it is a USB keyboard??? always worked though.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-pro-doesnt-recognize-keyboard-on-first-boot.216954/
Relevancy 70.52%

I have an interesting dilemma with a client that has me stumped. Hope someone has some ideas for me. She dropped off a Dell Inspiron desktop, about five years old, for cleaning, etc. No keyboard, mouse or monitor! I plugged in a monitor from another computer--works fine. We scared up a USB mouse (Logitech) and three different keyboards. The USB keyboard plugs in, but there appears to be something wrong with the connection for the old-fashioned round-plug keyboards--cannot get them to plug into the port. I suspect bent prongs. Anyway . . . the computer will not recognize the peripherals, and because I have no keyboard or mouse, I cannot load drivers for them, or get past the user account page at all! No setup or CD screen, because I have no functioning keyboard or mouse. I thought the "plug and play" feature would automatically recognize them, but no luck.

Help!

Relevancy 70.52%

Ok so a few nights ago I got Computer doesn't recognize keyboard a little drunk at my house I don t remember everything detail for detail what happened but I ll try to list it as best as I can I Computer doesn't recognize keyboard decided the party I was throwing was lacking good music so I stumbled into my bedroom and started my computer Everything Computer doesn't recognize keyboard was fine I realized my computer was in my room and the party was in the living room so this was quite the useless endeavor I shut my computer down A couple hours and a few drinks later I forgot about my first adventure and tried it again I repeated step and I came back to my room I m not positive why but I think it was to show one of my buddies the Kratom page on Erowid My computer all of a sudden would not recognize my keyboard The next morning I tried troubleshooting the problem I tried all USB slots failure I tried using my PS adapter and that failed I ran over to my buddies hung out for a few minutes then borrowed his keyboard which I know for a fact works Didn t work with the USB or the PS adapter None of the LED s on either of the keyboards light up when the computer starts up However my Webcam LED light does turn on The computer does BIOS and I m certain that Windows will load however before it loads XP it gets to a screen that says quot No keyboard detected press F to continue quot ironic huh I can t think of any solution I know my computer had a virus on it at one point however I have ran several top of the line licensed anti-virus programs on it and as far as I can tell it was clean at the time of the problem However I also know there s really no way to be certain unless you reformat which I just so happen to have lost my WinXP disk and can t find any good torrents I appreciate any ideas suggestions nbsp

Relevancy 70.52%

I am trying to do a clean install of Windows XP Pro on a Dell Optiplex 740. My problem is that once I'm in the install program, I am stuck. The installation/setup program will not recognize the keyboard. I can't hit Enter, F3, R or anything.

Yes, I have tried different ports and different keyboards. I ran diagnostics and they came up clean with no problems.

These machines do not have PS/2 ports.

Any suggestions? Is there a setting that should be changed in the BIOS?

Also, the PCs do not have floppy drives so I can't boot from a Windows XP, 98 or anything else floppy either.

Relevancy 70.52%

i am trying to do install of Windows XP Pro on a on a new hard drve. My problem is that once I'm in the install program, I am stuck. The installation/setup program will not recognize the keyboard. I can't hit Enter, F3, R or anything.

Yes, I have tried different ports and different keyboards.

Can you Please Help????

Relevancy 70.52%

After an update, Windows 8 won't recognize my mouse and keyboard. I can't enter any info or get past my
login screen. How do I get this resolved.

A:Windows 8 won't recognize my mouse and keyboard

Try this first: unplug computer from AC. If a laptop also remove battery. Let it sit overnight. Plug in and try again in the morning

Otherwise try System Restore at boot. System Restore - How to Do in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/71634-windows-8-wont-recognize-my-mouse-keyboard.html
Relevancy 70.52%

Ok, well I recently acquired an older pc and when I plugged the mouse and keyboard into back, and booted up the pc it does not recognize either one of them. The computer goes through it's boot sequence but then brings up a window after the window 98 loading screen, saying if I want to plug in a mouse or a keyboard, I need to start the computer over again. If you guys need any of the computers specs. I can only give you a limited amount as I can't get the computer to boot up fully because getting past that window prompt would require hitting enter on the computer

Relevancy 70.52%

Hi,

I have a dell optiplex GX 620 with 2.8GHZ processor and 2GB of memory. It has Windows XP Home installed. The computer has 4usb ports in the rear with two additional in the front. My problem is that only a mouse and keyboard are recognized when plugged in those ports. A hard drive was tested and it powers it up, but not recognized as a device. I've checked the bios settings and everything to do with usb is activated. Also, checked Widows XP device manager shows that all drivers and usb devices have no errors. Last, I have checked inside the computer and found all connections to be secured via ribbon cable in the rear and soldered down in the front panel. I am stuck at this point. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

IB4GAINS

A:USB does not recognize devices except keyboard and mouse

When you were in the device manager, did you click "view" then click "show hidden devices"?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/usb-does-not-recognize-devices-except-keyboard-and-mouse-136814.html
Relevancy 70.52%

When I reboot the computer won't recognize my keyboard. I bought a new keyboard with a usb port but still does the same thing. Please help. Thanks Gord

A:Computer doesn't recognize keyboard

Have you set your BIOS to use USB keyboards?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-doesnt-recognize-keyboard.421769/
Relevancy 70.52%

Ok so a few nights ago I got a little drunk at my house I don't remember everything detail for detail what happened but I'll try to list it as best as I can I decided the party I was throwing was lacking good music so I stumbled into my bedroom and started my computer Everything was fine I realized my computer was in my room and the party was in the living room so this was quite the useless endeavor I shut my computer down A couple doesn't recognize Computer keyboard hours and a few drinks later I forgot about my first adventure and tried it again I repeated step and I came back to my room I'm not positive why but I think it was to show one of my buddies the Kratom page on Erowid My computer all of a sudden would not recognize my keyboard The next morning I tried Computer doesn't recognize keyboard troubleshooting the problem I tried all USB slots failure I tried using my PS adapter and that failed I ran over to my buddies hung out for a few minutes then borrowed his keyboard which I know for a fact works Didn't work with the USB or the PS adapter None of the LED's on either of the keyboards light up when the computer starts up However my Webcam LED light does turn on The computer does BIOS and I'm certain that Windows will load however before it loads XP it gets to a screen that says quot No keyboard detected press F to continue quot ironic huh I can't think of any solution I know my computer had a virus on it at one point however I have ran several top of the line licensed anti-virus programs on it and as far as I can tell it was clean at the time of the problem However I also know there's really no way to be certain unless you reformat which I just so happen to have lost my WinXP disk and can't find any good torrents I appreciate any ideas suggestions

A:Computer doesn't recognize keyboard

cmos reset
turn the computer off
remove the power lead from the back
take the side off
remove the cmos battery
move the cmos jumper from pins 1 and 2 to pin 2 and 3 and the back to pins 1 and 2
reinsert the battery
put the side on
replug in the power lead
boot the computer

there can be 2 solder points you touch with a screwdriver
2 pins you touch with a screwdriver or use a jumper
a cmos clear switch or button
there will be a diagram and instructions in your manual

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-doesnt-recognize-keyboard-366844.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I took it to the tech guys and it worked for them, brought it home, didn't work. Took it back the next day, it worked for them with me as a witness, got it home and it didnt recognize it again. This time I made sure that the keyboard I was going to use was the one they tried it out with, and it worked, so is there some connection somewhere thats not working?? And I do know how to connect things, I've done it a million times. The mouse is recognized and works fine. PLEASE HELP I'm going insane )

Relevancy 69.66%

Hello, Recently had a power outage (my computer is on a surge protector) however since then it won't boot. It immediately loads to the HP 'Press the Esc Key for Startup Menu', and does not recognize my keyboard or mouse. Normally when booting it flashes this screen up but immediately proceeds to boot itself. I have tried:- Unplugging from power, holding down the power button, leaving it for ten minutes, replugging (i think this is for laptops though)- Tapping F8/F10 - doesn't help because it doesn't seem to power on the USB keyboard Any thoughts, help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. HP Pavillion intel i7 desktop, Windows 7.

A:Press Esc to Startup, Won't Recognize Keyboard/Power it On.

Hi @saladbread,Welcome to the HP Support Forums! It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. I understand you are having an issue with the USB keyboard not being seen. I will be glad to help you.Please post the full product number of your computer. See the following, if you need help with that information.How Do I Find My Model Number or Product Number? Please get back to, so I can help you.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Press-Esc-to-Startup-Won-t-Recognize-Keyboard-Power-it-On/td-p/5587108
Relevancy 69.66%

Hi,

I have a POS system that uses windows XP as the OS (this is how it came when new). I use a wireless mouse and keyboard with this system. 
I like to use Google Chrome as my browser however I rarely have a need for a browser. Just gmail.

My question:
I have a keyboard that has convienence buttons on it: "computer"; "home"; "email"; "volume" etc Now when I push the button that takes me to email it takes me to outlook express which I don't want to do. I would like to push that button on the keyboard and have it take me to gmail on Chrome.
Anyone know how to do this? Would I have to open Chrome first before accessing gmail? <- If so, this would be inconvenient but I am hopeful that I can make my keyboard take me to gmail without any hassles.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jim

A:making my keyboard recognize gmail as default

Who is the manufacturer of the keyboard and the model? You probably have a setup menu for the keyboard for the keys. But since gmail is browser based I don't think the email function can be mapped that way. It appears that your 'convenience buttons' are linked to executable programs/applications. Hence email opens a mail client. Not a browser and specific URL.What you can do is set gmail to be read in outlook express, instead of a webpage. That would be the easiest workaround for the convenience buttons.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/617223/making-my-keyboard-recognize-gmail-as-default/
Relevancy 69.66%

During a storm, our computer got a power surge. It will turn on but it says there is a " Boot Disk Error or disk cannot be found". The computer also doesnt detect the wireless keyboard, so I cant F11.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Computer-doesn-t-boot-or-recognize-the-keyboard/td-p/5676723
Relevancy 69.23%

I had a wireless keyboard "hooked" to my desktop but one day I came back to my computer and it had the famous blue screen on my monitor. My keyboard was not recognized  and so I bought a wired keyboard to see if that would work but unfortunately the wired keyboard was not recognized either. So I am trying to figure out what be wrong with my computer and if someone can tell me how I can fix it. Is it the motherboard? I can't seem to press F10 or F11 to restart or reset the system from the blue screen...... 

A:Famous blue screen and computer does not recognize keyboard.

Brigitte45 Hello;Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!I read your post about blue screen and keyboard not working, and wish I had good news for you --but I don't. You said F10 and F11 don't work, so try pressing F1 repeatedly to at least see if that will get you into the BIOS setup screen. IF that works, then try pressing F9 or F12 to see if either of those presents a one-time boot menu. If none of those keys work, then sorry to say, there is nothing we can do for you from here.  Since we have no way to remote into the PC and run any diagnostics ourselves, we have no way to examine the PC ourselves.  This limits us to providing written diagnosting steps in the hopes that those will reveal the problem and how to fix it.  Without a working keyboard, even if you can read the diagnostics from another PC screen, you will not be able to implement them in your PC without pressing some keys. Sorry, but at that point, your only recourse is to take the PC to an authorized HP service center to see if it can be fixed.Here is a link with information on HP Service Centers:  http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00372730?jumpid=reg_r1002_usen_c-001_title_r0004Good LuckI am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.========================================================================If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Famous-blue-screen-and-computer-does-not-recognize-keyboard/td-p/5588188
Relevancy 69.23%

It is model number AM -EB P I bought it earlier today from Best Buy and here is the link to it Acer Desktop Computer does Aspire Acer any My not new keyboard. PC brand Desktop recognize featuring rd Gen Intel Core i - Processor AM -EB P Performance amp Gaming Computers - Best Buy Canada My problem is that after turning on the power for the very first time it will not recognize my keyboard I have several different keyboards and I tried them all- including the Acer keyboard that came with the PC Before turning on the power I plugged in both an HDMI connection to my TV as well as a DVI connection to an Acer quot monitor It took me a while to figure out that it defaulted to the HDMI connection I started out by looking at my monitor and couldn't figure out why there was no activity on the monitor But once I switched the TV input to quot HDMI quot I saw the output was displayed on my TV Unfortunately it doesn't seem to recognize any keyboard although My brand new Acer Aspire Desktop PC does not recognize any keyboard. it does make a quot clicking quot sound when I press keys on the keyboard I tried to press WIN P to change the HDMI output to duplicate both the TV and the monitor but it seems to default to quot side by side quot and the only thing that I can think to do now is to pull out the power cord plug and try to re-boot with just the monitor connected and without the HDMI connection Any other ideas or suggestions

A:My brand new Acer Aspire Desktop PC does not recognize any keyboard.

Hello.

It seems the sensible thing to do is take it back to the seller and let them sort it while it's under warranty.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/248197-my-brand-new-acer-aspire-desktop-pc-does-not-recognize-any-keyboard.html
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi, I am trying to save old documents from a friend's Sony Vaio VGC-RC110G prior to disposing of it. It starts up using my Dell Monitor, but will not recognize any of the 2 USB keyboards or 3 USB mice I have tried (all confirmed working on another computer). Each time I have made a change to mouse or keyboard, I have restarted by holding down the power button. Tried all the USB ports with same result. Any ideas?

A:Sony Vaio VGC-RC110G Won't Recognize USB Keyboard or Mouse

Meant to add that the Vaio is running XP Media Center Edition.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sony-vaio-vgc-rc110g-wont-recognize-usb-keyboard-or-mouse.1087794/
Relevancy 69.23%

I am trying to help a Photographer friend, he was trying to download Itunes last night, he does not remember if it was a direct site or not, it was going really slow so he canceled it, goes to log onto his computer today, he has Xp btw, it will not recognize his keyboard, he has all accounts PW protected even the Guest account. He has tried USB and the adapter that he said he has, even his other keyboard and the lights light up on them.

I believe it is some sort of virus, is there any way to bypass this so he can do some sort of scan or does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks

A:Need help ASAP, Windows will not recognize keyboard and computer is locked

Does this happen in Safe Mode?
Try a repair install:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-asap-windows-will-not-recognize-keyboard-and-computer-is-locked.937908/
Relevancy 68.37%

I am using a Dell precision M4800 W7 64 bit and Dell Pro 3x docking station
I hibernate my computer every night.
When I place my computer on the dock in the morning, the secondary monitor, power and network connection are recognized immediately, but the mouse and keyboard are a different story.
Pretty much every day it will take 2-3 minutes minimum for the K&M to work, but the other days they will not work at all and I have to remove the laptop from the dock, wait a moment, then re-dock for the K&M to work a few minutes later.
Any ideas? This is beyond annoying, and defeating of the purpose of a dock. I should be able to dock and go.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19993233
Relevancy 68.37%

I have followed several similar threads and their fixes for this problem with no result After downloading the Win upgrade my system then said quot loading updates quot Then it restarted with a blue login screen saying quot Welcome Back quot And a box to enter my password The cursor is blinking in the box but neither my mouse or keyboard works I have hard booted several times since the ctrl alt delete does not work I am also not able to access safe mode as none of the quot F quot keys work during boot up I have tried the following Unplugged all USB devices except keyboard does at 10 windows recognize keyboard or stuck screen mouse login not Turning off internet at the router I have a Dell desktop and upgraded from Windows with a Netgear router modem I do NOT have an animated avitar as someone else mentioned in the forum The windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard only way I can get the system to move is if I power off at the main switch after booting up which goes into bios and disc diagnostics but I don't know enough about computers to know what to do there HELP PLEASE My computer is useless now

A:windows 10 stuck at login screen does not recognize mouse or keyboard

Booted up again and let it run for several hours. I noticed some flashing under the power button like it was processing info, but it stopped after about 20 mins. Still frozen at login page. Help Please!

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/12355-windows-10-stuck-login-screen-does-not-recognize-mouse-keyboard.html
Relevancy 68.37%

It is model number AM -EB P I bought it earlier today from Best Buy and here is the link to it www bestbuy ca en-CA product acer-acer-desktop-computer-featuring- rd-gen-intel-core-i - -processor-am -eb p-am -eb p aspx path c d cb b e b cdd c en My problem is that after turning on the power for the Solved: My Desktop keyboard. my recognize new PC Acer not will brand Aspire very first time it Solved: My brand new Acer Aspire Desktop PC will not recognize my keyboard. will not recognize my Solved: My brand new Acer Aspire Desktop PC will not recognize my keyboard. keyboard I have several different keyboards and I tried them all- including the Acer keyboard that came with the PC I think my mistake was that before turning on the power I had plugged in both an HDMI connection to my TV as well as a DVI connection to an Acer quot monitor Then when I powered up the PC it defaulted to the HDMI output but I didn t realize that and was expecting it to displa on the monitor It took me a while to figure out that it defaulted to the HDMI connection I started out by looking at my monitor and couldn t figure out why there was no activity on the monitor But once I switched the TV input to quot HDMI quot I saw the output was displayed on my TV Unfortunately it doesn t seem to recognize any keyboard now although it does make a quot clicking quot sound when I press keys on the keyboard I tried to press WIN P to change the HDMI output to show the same output on both the TV and the monitor but it seems to default to quot side by side quot and the only thing that I can think to do now is to pull out the power cord plug and try to re-boot with just the monitor connected and without the HDMI connection When I hit the quot power off quot button it has no effect Should I pull out the power cord from the outlet Or is there some other way to get it to reboot Any other ideas or suggestions nbsp

A:Solved: My brand new Acer Aspire Desktop PC will not recognize my keyboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-my-brand-new-acer-aspire-desktop-pc-will-not-recognize-my-keyboard.1066051/
Relevancy 68.37%

I was on my computer last night and suddenly my keyboard and mouse stopped working.  I replaced the batteries on both and tried reconnecting to the receiver following the protocol (pressing the reset button on the device and within 15 seconds pressing the button on the receiver).  No luck.

1) I took the receiver, mouse, and keyboard and was able to use them on a difference computer, so they check out.

2) I tried different USB ports on the Dell and could not get it to work

3) I tried a wired USB mouse on the Dell and it did not work

Since I have turned the computer on and off trying to troublshoot this, I can only get to the initial login screen but I can't interact with the computer.  I think if I can interact with the computer I have a chance of troubleshooting and fixing this, but for now I am dead in the water.  thanks.

A:Dell Dimension 8300 will not recognize wireless mouse or keyboard

Press CTRL-ALT-DEL twice at the welcome screen and you will get the classic logon. Once you get logged on, use your keyboard to navigate.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/492520/dell-dimension-8300-will-not-recognize-wireless-mouse-or-keyboard/
Relevancy 67.51%

I am running a Shuttle SG G Intel G Express Chipset Intel Core Quad Q Kentsfield GHz http us shuttle com barebone Models sg g pro spec html The initial problem was that web pages would load very slowly and hang during loading The simplest pages would take a long time whereas a streaming video from wont driver startup recognize Tried - install Windows on Keyboard USB new to chipset youtube could play uninterrupted quite easily Other computers on the same network performed up to par no problem I looked in Device Manager Device Manager did not recognize the Ethernet Controller or the SMBus Tried to install new chipset driver - Windows wont recognize USB Keyboard on startup Controller I found the driver for the Ethernet Controller and it became recognized no problem However web pages still loaded very slowly I could not find a driver for the SMBus Controller A forum I read referred me to this page http www intel com support chipsets sb cs- htm which addresses the problem of - Windows does not recognize Tried to install new chipset driver - Windows wont recognize USB Keyboard on startup the SMBus controller - Device Manager shows a yellow question mark for the SMBus controller - Device Manager lists the SMBus controller under Other Devices However the file on this page was not for my G Chipset So I found another chipset driver at http www intel com support chipsets sb CS- htm and downloaded the Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility I shut down all programs and ran the exe file Everything seemed to work fine until I was prompted to press quot Next quot and my keyboard and mouse no longer worked They are wireless connected to a USB receiver There were no lights on the USB receiver I tried swapping them out for another but no dice After about minutes I gave up and powered Tried to install new chipset driver - Windows wont recognize USB Keyboard on startup off the machine Now when I reboot I have the same problem I get to the Windows login screen but the keyboard and mouse do not work If I unplug the wireless USB receiver during startup I get the quot press F to continue Delete to enter setup quot screen At that point I can plug in the USB receiver and use my wireless keyboard to enter setup What can I do to get back to Windows with functioning USB ports nbsp

A:Tried to install new chipset driver - Windows wont recognize USB Keyboard on startup

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/tried-to-install-new-chipset-driver-windows-wont-recognize-usb-keyboard-on-startup.852834/
Relevancy 66.22%

The detachable keyboard on this computer is faulty and so I'm using it as a tablet at the moment, but working and typing is nightmarishly slow without a keyboard, so I'm wondering whether it's possible to use a generic keyboard with this model.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Using-external-keyboard/td-p/5815217
Relevancy 65.79%

I m using a year old Gateway won't laptop WIN external HD USB 7 recognize NV laptop running WIN Home premium and I bought a new WD tb USB HD The HD was immediately recognized when first connected HD software loaded properly and initial backup performed successfully The next day when I booted up the computer there was a WIN 7 laptop won't recognize USB external HD message saying an unrecognized USB device was connected I ll update this WIN 7 laptop won't recognize USB external HD thread with the exact language when I next reboot Checked Computer amp WIN 7 laptop won't recognize USB external HD Libraries and it wasn t listed I shut down and connected the HD to a different USB port and as before all was normal Backup files were there and accessible Backed up more files and shut down for the day The next day same problem opening message that an unrecognized USB device was connected The solution recommended by the error message was to disconnect and reconnect the device and if still unrecognized replace the device I ve used an older smaller gb WD USB HD in the same port for several months with no problems nbsp

Relevancy 65.36%

I bought a brand new Libretto-U100. It is very nice. I connected a USB keyboard for convenience at my work place. But I am not able to key in the special characters like @ # " etc. The emulation seems to be same as the laptop key board. Is there a way to make the external keyboard to work normally. I will appreciate any suggestions.

Regards
Ramaswami

A:Libretto - external keyboard

Hello

Did you check the ?Regional and Language settings??
As far as I know there a little difference between English US and English UK keyboard settings. In my opinion you should check if you have the right language settings for a right keyboard layout.

Bye

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?7884-Libretto-external-keyboard
Relevancy 65.36%

An elderly friend of mine has an HP Smart Screen PC with a wireless keyboard and mouse (running on a shared USB.) The other day she got a message stating that the keyboard batteries needed replacing which she did. Since she changed the batteries, the PC recognizes that there is a keyboard, but the message that the keyboard is being used is not getting to the PC. The USB and mouse are both working fine. Windows 7 diagnostics do not see a problem with the keyboard. I tried a separate wired USB keyboard which also did not work. This makes me think that there is some "switch" in the software that was turned off. Does anyone know if this is possible? Thanks

A:External Keyboard Shut Off

Welcome to Sevenforums.

At the back of the keyboard when wireless, there's in general a small button so called "Connect" to push when in first use. Might replacing the batteries have reset the keyboard?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/299970-external-keyboard-shut-off.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Dear all

Pls help me use external keyboard for laptop. My laptop has only USB port as external ports and Vista Ulitmate 32 bit O/S. When external USB keyboard is inserted in my laptop, the keyboard status lights ( Num lock, cap lock ) didn't blink . So I uninstalled PS2 driver, restarted and installed Driver which has been provided together with that keyboard. But it is still not working though it worked in other desktop computers which has window XP without installing any driver. I tried to fix this for several hours and times. I hope u all will help me solve this problem.

A:External USB Keyboard Problem

What laptop have you got and what external keyboard are you using?
Is it wireless?
Are you using a PS2 to USB converter?

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/185455-external-usb-keyboard-problem.html
Relevancy 65.36%

I am now working with a Windows 10 laptop as well as my Acer Chromebook 15.  Is there any way I can use an external (say Bluetooth) keyboard with the Chromebook?  If so, any recommendations?Thanks.

A:Can I use an external keyboard on my Chromebook 15...

Dishmantex,

You should be able to pair a Bluetooth keyboard with your Chromebook, here is an article that lists some devices that will/should work on your Chromebook.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Chromebooks/Can-I-use-an-external-keyboard-on-my-Chromebook-15/td-p/393400/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 65.36%

How to activate Function key on a external USB keyboard, 
Model: Latitude E5450

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19987575
Relevancy 65.36%

I have an HP Windows 7 laptop that's rather worn down but I can't afford a new one. The keyboard stopped working and I need to press Enter for my computer to start (I get a message about the fan that I need to press Enter to bypass or it shuts down in 15 seconds). Does anyone know how I can get on my computer, or of an external keyboard I could purchase that doesn't need to be installed? Would REALLY appreciate any help! Thanks!

A:How to get an external keyboard for boot up?

any external usb keyboard should work.
just bring it to a store, tell the tech your problem, test a usb keyboard. if it works, buy.

note that in some laptops, the bios must be set to "see" usb stuff on startup

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-get-an-external-keyboard-for-boot-up-1027290.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi I am being driven mad by the clicking sound every time I do a keystroke on my wireless keyboard, how do I turn it off? Have disabled windows sounds so none play. I have gone into typing in PC settings and the turn sounds off is not there. Any easy newbie instructions much appreciated.

A:External Keyboard typing clicking!!

Originally Posted by stokeybobby

Hi I am being driven mad by the clicking sound every time I do a keystroke on my wireless keyboard, how do I turn it off? Have disabled windows sounds so none play. I have gone into typing in PC settings and the turn sounds off is not there. Any easy newbie instructions much appreciated.

Ok I have now figured this out!! To be honest I don't get it but hey who am I! For anyone else out there who was thinking of launching there pc into the ether, if you have the "filter Keys" icon on your taskbar, double click and open window, scroll to bottom and uncheck beep when keys are pressed or accepted. Voila sanity restored!

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/42688-external-keyboard-typing-clicking.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi I have a Dell Inspiron that's been a nightmare I'm running Vista -bit home basic Last week the 'n' 'b' space bar question mark and arrows stopped working suddenly I attached a PS Failures! Keyboard Internal and External keyboard using a USB adapter and all was well I shut the computer down days ago and when I restarted the next morning I received an Internal and External Keyboard Failures! error that the computer no longer recognizes my USB device I tried the repair option on the Vista disc and two other keyboards - no luck I even tried System Restore I've wiped the laptop and reinstalled Vista times in the last months I've ordered a new laptop but it won't arrive for weeks and - of course - I run my own writing business so I can't afford to lose ANY time on this I have work due this a m and I'm now using a combination of my laptop keyboard and the on-screen kb to get my work done I type at wpm and I'm just about ready to lose my mind I also deleted reinstalled and upgraded the kb driver PLEASE HELP

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/internal-and-external-keyboard-failures-399286.html
Relevancy 64.5%

First of all I would like to clarify that by saying External keyboard it means Bluetooth not USB keyboard on PC USB and or Bluetooth keyboard on laptop I have tried searching the internet but haven't see similar situation even though I have this issue on different machines Win amp Win I first notice the stutter when I play Sonic Generations amp Dynasty Warriors on my brother's Win PC When I use PS or USB keyboard and move the character by holding any of the W-A-S-D keys the movements are smooth Same goes for the other buttons Then he bought a Bluetooth keyboard and the games are practically unplayable Holding W-A-S-D would still move the character but it stutters As if I repeatedly hitting the key Sometimes the character just stop moving even though I still holding down the W key on the keyboard The same goes for my Win laptop If I use the attached keyboard I can play Counter Strike smoothly But if I plug a USB keyboard and start the game pressing W key would make my character stutter when walking forward and even stop moving at all Would be very grateful if someone could help me Thanks

http://www.eightforums.com/gaming/71528-external-keyboard-cause-stuttering-movements.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I have a Windows laptop and I have problems with it The keyboard will not respond When I press a button it makes a loud quot beeping quot noise and it will not work I restarted it a few Problem*** External Drive CD-RW and ***Keyboard times and got the same effect each time Also sometimes it loads the setup when I did not press the button and I press the escape and it does not do anything because the buttons are not working Is the keyboard shot and I need a new one or what can I do to fix it also I bought an external CD-RW drive yesterday and since I ***Keyboard and External CD-RW Drive Problem*** have Windows SE I had to download the drivers which I did and I plugged everything in right but my computer does not recognize the drive I reinstalled the driver and it says that there is no driver that would support it I really need that CD drive but nothing seems to be working now If you need more info please ask Please help me Thank you in advance Jonathan This post has been edited by jdw jesus Today AM nbsp

Relevancy 64.5%

Hello people,

I got this problem with an external keyboard I borrowed from a friend. First two days it worked without a problem, but two days later it stopped working. I tried to reinstall it a couple of times and sometimes it worked for a couple of seconds, but then it just stopped working again. After a couple of tries it started to give me an error 0x80070015. I tried a system recovery to earlier today, but it didn't work.

I just can't get it to work. PLEASE HELP!

A:Borrowed external keyboard is not working.

Welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

To avoid a lot of Q & A about your hardware and OS configuration, please click on this link to
Edit System Specs

Filling this out, at least partially, will save a lot of time. Another advantage is when posting a new problem, the person answering can just click the My System Specs link in the bottom of your post. No need to search for the information.

If you have multiple systems just indicate that in the System Specs so that we know why many of the fields are blank.

=============

The more hardware info the better.

By the way, the error msg is "device not ready." If this keyboard has a cable, maybe the cable has a problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/263467-borrowed-external-keyboard-not-working.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I have a Hp laptop set on a docking station. I have a microsoft kb and mouse attached to it. The problem I am having is when I run any code debugger and want to use the funtion keys, I am not able to do that from the external keyboard. I can only do it on the laptop kb. Also the special buttons on the keyboard dont work like zoom, volume etc. But on the mouse everything is fine.

Any advice is appreciated.

A:External keyboard functioning wierd

Looks like some incompatibility with your external keyboard. How about trying another keyboard (other than a microsoft kb)?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/external-keyboard-functioning-wierd-346867.html
Relevancy 64.5%

How to activate Function key on a external USB keyboard, 
Model: Latitude E5450

A:Latitude E5450 external USB keyboard Fn key

Hi YEUNSIN_LEE,
What is the exact issue with the system? Does the fn key on the laptop work or not? 
The fn key is driver dependent and hence we cannot emulate the fn key on an external keyboard. If the fn key on the laptop is not working, then we can remap any key that you do not use to be used as the function key - see this link - http://bit.ly/1bYnbUs 
See these threads for reference: http://bit.ly/2ak1KCi | http://bit.ly/2aUgl8w 
Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.
Let us know if you have any other queries.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19987681
Relevancy 64.5%

- sony vaio vpceh2p0e
- windows 7 64bit
- advent wireless [with usb wireless adapter] keyboard K312

Water damage, solely, to built in keyboard a year ago. Some keys do not register while others register random keys. Since then I have been using the advent external keyboard without any problems; until today. The external keyboard almost mimics the built in one now. I've tried troubleshooting and re installed the device drivers multiple times however nothing has changed.

Some help and or advice would be greatly appreciated,
thanks in advance!

A:External keyboard not functioning correctly.

try another keyboard as the first and easiest -if you have one or can borrow one - troubleshooting method

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-keyboard-not-functioning-correctly.1142525/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hi,I'm planning to connect external keyboard and mouse usb and work with the yoga tent mode, like a simple monitor, so you can have it up I want.Has anyone experienced this?Thank you

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/external-keyboard-in-tent-mode/td-p/3342968
Relevancy 64.07%

Windows Start - Settings - Ease of Access - Keyboard Everything here is off If i turn on instead soft&hard opening shortcuts Keyboard keyboard ) of letters ( typing the On-Screen Keyboard no keys are Highlighted indicating they are depressed stuck When I use the hard keyboard and sometimes even the onscreen keyboard its as if either Ctrl Alt Win or something are pressed down as it just types shortcuts EG -H- typed into chrome browser address bar via onscreen keyboard types as normal -H- typed into chrome browser address bar via hard keyboard brings up -Chrome history- But now also on the onscreen keyboard Ctrl is Highlighted I click on the onscreen keyboard to deactivate the now highlighted Keyboard opening shortcuts instead of typing letters ( soft&hard keyboard ) Ctrl button and try again Now things are different as now both the onscreen keyboard and the hard keyboard both bring up Chrome history- when -H- is typed Shift Keyboard opening shortcuts instead of typing letters ( soft&hard keyboard ) is not depressed This seems to randomly cycle one min onscreen keyboard works fine next the keyboard works fine or they either work or none of the work rendering the computer useless I cant help feel it s a software issue but im no pro and I don t have an additional external keyboard to try but as the onscreen and hard keyboard work ok for a while sometimes I assume something is up and that s what brought me here Hopefully this is clear enough to be understood and to help others who may have the same issue Thank you so much for your time OTHER NOTES In -Device Manger Keyboards- The keyboard driver is dated so tried to update the driver but says I have the best driver software for my device is already installed Noticed there are entries for the HID Keyboard Device both are the same driver version Maybe I should delete uninstall one Both under event tab dated Device migrated Device configured keyboard inf and Device started kbdhid It was prob around this date I first started having probs Pressing Ctrl on hard keyboard highlights Ctrl on onscreen keyboard only whilst being pressed Let go of the hard key the soft key turns off Sometimes the gets stuck and does but saying that I just restarted the machine and pressed the key -d- and it acted like a stuck as in not dddddddddddddddddddddddddddd Very odd Ive NOT tried the following System restore seems harsh Rolling back the keyboard driver not sure how on win Deleting the keyboard from System not sure how on win

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/keyboard-opening-shortcuts-instead-of-typing-letters-soft-and-hard-keyboard-1078970.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Can a Portege A100 notebook be used with an external USB keyboard? If yes, does it matter which brand I use? I have finally persuaded my wife to learn to type but using the laptop's keyboard is not the easiest of keyboards to learn on.

A:Can I connect a external keyboard to Portege A100?

Hi

Of course it?s possible?. It?s no matter what brand you will use but the connection is important.
It should be an external USB keyboard because the prot?g? A100 supports only this interface for keyboard connection

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?22420-Can-I-connect-a-external-keyboard-to-Portege-A100
Relevancy 64.07%

Hey fellas' and (Ladies) working on a Dell Inspiron 1545 With Windows 7, and I am getting no response from the keyboard, or even when I install an external keyboard I get nothing. I think it may be a virus, but I did a scan and it comes up clean.. Could it be a multimedia or BIOS setting? Stumped

Relevancy 64.07%

I have a dell inspiron 600m with xp sp2. I have an external keytronic keyboard and a logitech mouse hooked in through one usb port using a micro innovations dual ps/2 to usb adapter. The problem I'm having is when using the external key board if I pause while holding the shift key down then start typing again it has 'timed out'. If I do the same thing with the laptops built in keyboard it doesn't occur. A co worker with a similar set up but a different laptop and keyboard has the same thing occur. I went through and made sure all the accessibility options were off and removed the HID drivers and reinstalled them.
Hoping someone else has run into this and can help.

Thanks
Jim

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/winxp-external-keyboard-shift-key-timeout.444371/
Relevancy 64.07%

We've had a few HP 1020 and 1040 models in recently and all have the same issue. When the laptop is docked, the external keyboard does not work in the Bitlocker screen. It works in BIOS and in Windows itself, but not in Bitlocker. This means we have to open the laptop screen to input the Bitlocker PIN, then leave it open and GPO dictates that the machine hibernates when the lid is closed. We have tweaked the GPO, but to no avail. ANyone else seen this or have a solution?

Solved!
View Solution.

A:External keyboard not working in Bitlocker screen

if the bios is up to date, i would look at BIOS settings. I believe Fast Boot setting is Enabled in your case, which might cause usb devices not to be seen at the stage Bitlocker requires

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/External-keyboard-not-working-in-Bitlocker-screen/td-p/5556449
Relevancy 64.07%

Another issue with the external mouse and keyboard.   I am using 8 and my mouse/keyboard have been working up until Friday when there was an update and then both units no longer worked.  The USB key storage works but the other items not. 
I tried them in another computer and it works perfectly.  I am not as versed in Bios etc but have attempted to correct with driver udpates (all good), and add new hardware etc...nothing is working and I too need some help with getting this set up. 
MS please respond re this and options...I have been working on this for some time and need an answer and some tech help. 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/c573d775-5c93-41ed-b887-259d2ce6824a/external-mouse-and-keyboard-just-stopped-working?forum=w8itprohardware
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello nbsp In our company we are using amongst others T s and PI... issue when entering keyboard bitlocker external T laptops Those laptops are Bitlocker encrypted external keyboard issue when entering bitlocker PI... nbsp After switching on the laptop and when entering a Bitlocker PIN with the integrated keyboard everything is fine nbsp But when using nbsp an external keyboard we are facing a strange behaviour When typing a Bitlocker PIN or also the recovery key it randomly occurs that several nbsp keystrokes are interpreted as DOUBLE keystrokes This holds for typing the PIN or the recovery key but also for deleting already entered PINs and keys by pressing the backspace button nbsp I tested this issues with several different external USB keyboars and also WITH and WITHOUT the Lenovo docking station nbsp I am not sure whether this is a Bitlocker or an hardware issue Affected are ALL T and T computers in the company For all other Lenovos everything is working fine nbsp btw an update to the newest BIOS version did not change the issue nbsp Please let me know thanks Christian

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/external-keyboard-issue-when-entering-bitlocker-PIN-on-Lenovo/td-p/3371255
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello, the title pretty much says it all. I have tried both USB wireless keyboard/mouse combo and USB hardwired keyboard and neither work at login. Very inconvenience as the laptop is on a stand and must type awkwardly on it to login.

Once logged in, it works fine. Any ideas?

Many thanks in advance

A:External keyboard and mouse not working at Login

Who is the manufacturer of the USB wireless keyboard/mouse combo?

sounds like the driver isn't loading until Windows is at the desktop.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?86240-External-keyboard-and-mouse-not-working-at-Login
Relevancy 64.07%

A Yahama YDP-223 piano is connected to a Lenovo computer on Windows 10 with a Yamaha MIDI-USB cable. In the "Red Dot Forever" program, I can record MIDI piano to the computer and play it back as long as I am in the program. If I try to play back any recorded MIDI files, they only play on Windows Media and not on the keyboard. How can I direct MIDI playback to the piano?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/437716-play-midi-files-through-external-keyboard.html
Relevancy 64.07%

My company has several hundred T430 laptops being used with the ThinkPad Mini Dock Series 3, type 4337-15U.  The scenario is:* A USB2.0 Keyboard is plugged into the dock.* A completed powered off laptop is put into the dock and powered on.* The keyboard is not detected.* We have keyoards from various manufacturers (Dell, Lenovo, Microsoft).* There are no problems if the keyboard is plugged directly into one of the laptop USB ports.* Other USB devices seem to work fine (i.e., Mouse, printer, etc.)* We're running Windows 7 SP1.  All laptops have Bitlocker encryption enabled. I checked the BIOS settings and nothing really stands out.  Has anyone seen this before?  Any thoughts on how to remediate the issue? Thanks!

A:Docked T430 - will not detect external keyboard at...

Hi Wes,

Welcome to Lenovo Community Forums!

I?m sorry to hear that external keyboard is not working in your Lenovo ThinkPad T430 when plugged into dock.

Could you try the below mentioned steps?

Go to control panel, Open Device Manager.

Scroll down to the bottom of the Device Manager Window, and click on ?Universal Serial Bus Controllers? to expand it.

Right-click on the first entry in the expanded list named ?USB Root Hub,? and select Disable from the context menu.

Right-click once again on that same ?USB Root Hub? entry, and select Enable from the context menu.

If it works, the list of items under ?Universal Serial Bus controllers? should refresh, and you should see some additional items in the list.  The USB ports on the docking station and devices connected to them should be working once again.

If the above said didn?t help resolve your concern, try uninstalling all the drivers listed under USB Root hub. Restart the system and click on scan hardware changes in device manager. System will auto detect all the new hardware and will install the drivers appropriately.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Mithun.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Docked-T430-will-not-detect-external-keyboard-at-boot/td-p/1313723
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi everyone,

I accidentally messed up my keyboard settings in Excel 2010--I didn't notice the book sitting on the keyboard while working on something else on my desk--and can't figure out how to restore all of them to defaults in a blanket action. I fixed them one-by-one, but I can't figure out how to fix one last problem: I keep having the keytips pop up when the '/' key (no ALT or CTRL) is pressed. It doesn't matter if the slash is in the QWERTY or the 10-key. The keytips still pop up.

Can someone help me figure out how to return the normal function?

Thanks,
Kurt

A:How do I restore keyboard settings in Excel? Book on keyboard = unknown changes.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-do-i-restore-keyboard-settings-in-excel-book-on-keyboard-unknown-changes.1044405/
Relevancy 63.64%

After latest update, I can't login. Only buttons i, delete and enter work in login box.
Same behavior with on-screen keyboard.
Audio readback works for every key, and letters are in correct order, but in login box, only letter i advances login query. So hardware is OK.
Desktop HP Pavilion, Windows 10, USB-keyboard.
What should I do?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/441351-keyboard-problem-only-i-outputs-also-screen-keyboard-login-impossible.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello, I am running LenovoX260 with Windows 7, I additional installed the lenovo updatecenter. All drivers are updated according to lenovo7 update center. Symptom: Basically, when the machine boots on battery all keyboard strokes are delayed for roughly 5 seconds or an easy touch of touchpad or trackpoint -- whatever comes first. The machine has not a high load at this time and no keystroke is lost. It is just delayed strongly. To make it more complicate, this symptom disappears until next reboot when I lock the screen with win+l and reunlock the screen with my password. It also disappears when I plugin the powerplug, but it also reappears when I unplug it again on the login screen. Once I relogged/unlocked this effect does not reappear. Booting with power plugged in is fine. Any ideas?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X260-Windows-7-keyboard-battery-mode-keyboard-input-delayed/td-p/3414170
Relevancy 63.64%

Im having a problem in windows 8 embedded standard

On the Thin Client ( HP ) is a keyboard connected (HP UK-1156)
In device manager there is the HP Elite USB Keyboard but it is not working. (says no driver installed)

On other computers with the same keyboard it does work. Even installs a driver without a problem. (default keyboard driver)
So its not the keyboard..

A: how come its not getting its driver? 
B: anyone know where to get the driver for this keyboard?
C: any other solution to this problem? 

Please no standard answering as reboot the computer or uninstall device in device manager. this has been done.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/deb89ee2-9cd6-4e0e-ad04-207d1cdd597e/usb-keyboard-cannot-be-installed-hp-uk1156-as-hp-elite-usb-keyboard-in-device-manager?forum=MTCWin8
Relevancy 63.64%

I prefer the Comfort On Screen Keyboard Pro and have installed it. After every sleep or reboot I have to manually disable the standard Touch Keyboard from  Toolbar entry on the Taskbar.

A:XPS 12 - anyone know how to permanently disable the standard On Screen Keyboard (a.k.a. Touch Keyboard).

Hi johnwprice,
Go to Control Panel -> Ease of Access -> Ease of Access Center -> ?Use the computer without a mouse or keyboard? and uncheck the ?Use On-Screen Keyboard" option and click Ok.
Then, click on ?Change administrative settings" options and check the "Apply all settings to the logon desktop" and press Apply.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19495683
Relevancy 63.64%

hi all. i have a compag white internet keyboard, older model, and it works fine in bios and any other time, but when trying to hit F8 to enter the windows startup options it doesnt work. ive tried enabling usb legacy device support in bios but it didnt seem to help. this keyboard doesnt need drivers to work, so i dont think its that. and my old keyboard could do it. any ideas??

A:Usb Keyboard Can Not Enter Safe Mode (keyboard Wont Work)

Use a PS/2 keyboard instead.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/usb-keyboard-can-not-enter-safe-mode-keyboard-wont-work.22918/