Windows Support Forum

Start Menu on Windows 10 won't load and cannot access apps...only on admin account

Q: Start Menu on Windows 10 won't load and cannot access apps...only on admin account

Start Menu on Windows 10 won't load and cannot access apps...only on admin account. I see that a lot of people are having this issue...is there a fix?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/f2f408ef-13a6-4704-9918-7de0d1c5cfb9/start-menu-on-windows-10-wont-load-and-cannot-access-appsonly-on-admin-account?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Start Menu on Windows 10 won't load and cannot access apps...only on admin account

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 86.86%

I noticed that my Icons seem to be refreshing often and not too nippy... so I searched for a fix... I used the MaxCachedIcons D_WORD 2048 registry hack but since doing so they seem to be even slower? I deleted that reg entry then rebooted and its still the same? just when I view "All Programs" in start menu all the programs listed at top icons are slower to load and I have Admin Tools on star menu too and when I mouse over that they take 1 second each to load, all 14 of them - even if I close it then go straight back

why is this happening?
is there a fix?
cheers

A:Icons slow to load in Start Menu & Admin Tools

bump!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/icons-slow-to-load-in-start-menu-admin-tools.920092/
Relevancy 82.56%

Hi I wondered issues Windows / Antivirus 10 menu Menu, Apps, Context Metro / Start if anyone out there has had a similar experience to me For some weeks now I have had problems where the START MENU wouldn't launch metro apps OneDrive Tweetium Money News etc would fail to Antivirus / Windows 10 / Start Menu, Metro Apps, Context menu issues launch just a blank window up right mouse clicks wouldn't work internet browsing slowed up Signing out of my windows account then back in again solved it FOR A WHILE After an hour or two gradually one app after another etc the same problems would occur Researching this I came to the conclusion that Windows was corrupt or at least my user profile was and a re-install was necessary OR I also read of compatibility problems with Windows in my AV software Kaspersky Internet Security and wondered if the problem lay there Yesterday I uninstalled Kaspersky and relied on Win Defender For days now unprecedented recently my laptop has behaved impeccably no problems as above So am I to blame Kaspersky Am I safe with Just Win Def Any other AV suites throwing up problems Any Kaspersky users with any experiences to share Thanks

http://www.tenforums.com/antivirus-firewalls-system-security/54439-antivirus-windows-10-start-menu-metro-apps-context-menu-issues.html
Relevancy 80.41%

My computer was set up using a single user account with admin privileges and all apps have been installed. In order to minimize the virus threat I now want to create a user account without admin privileges, but be able to access all apps and itunes library that I have already installed using the admin account.

Please let me have a step by step method how I should set about doing this

My system : i3 windows 8.1 4GB RAM 500GB HD

Thankyou

A:How 2 transfer apps from Admin account to ltd user account

I'd go to Control Panel, Users Account and add a new Standard account. The new name only has to be one character different. The new account should be able to do most things but will be quite limited in making changes to the computer.
How Microsoft Overhauled User Accounts In Windows 8
I'd leave the existing account alone, should always have at least one that has administrative rights. There is an actual Administrator account but it is hidden on purpose.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/59044-how-2-transfer-apps-admin-account-ltd-user-account.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Hello !
Apps icons do not appear in Windows 10 start menu also disappear and icons from the taskbar.

It really is annoying. Can you help me ?

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/47026-apps-icons-do-not-appear-windows-10-start-menu.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Windows 10 Start Menu is Locked.
Cannot Pin or Unpin Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu.
I have also tried this command in Powershell -
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} But my problem was not solved.

I am showing a Video regarding this Issue.
Win 10 Start Menu Problems - YouTube

Please provide a Solution as soon as possible ?

A:Cannot Pin or Unpin Apps in Windows 10 Start Menu.

Run a sfc /scannow.
I won't post the "how-to" because I assume you know the drill.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/46398-cannot-pin-unpin-apps-windows-10-start-menu.html
Relevancy 76.54%

days before my Windows pc My won't Start menu Windows 8.1 apps the start from wasn't working during log in it showed up with My Windows 8.1 apps won't start from the Start menu quot The System Event Notification Service service failed the sign in quot I posted this thread but no one replied then back yesterday I ran it into Safe Mode and used the CMD and put these quot sfc scannow quot then the PC booted into Safe Mode But in my Start Menu many apps won't open accept Facebook Twitter Photos and the Store opens and when I goto install apps it shows quot This app wasn't installed quot And my Start menu is like this And the quot sfc scannow quot command shows that there are Corrupted or Missing Files Then I also did these DISM exe Online Cleanup-image ScanhealthDISM exe Online Cleanup-image Restorehealth But then also no luck please suggest me what to do I updated my PC from Windows to Windows days before And this happened days before And the PC started to My Windows 8.1 apps won't start from the Start menu boot from yesterday Please reply Please

A:My Windows 8.1 apps won't start from the Start menu

Store - Re-register in Windows 8 and 8.1

Store Cache - Clear in Windows 8

Apps and Tiles Not Working or Responding: Fix in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/40729-my-windows-8-1-apps-wont-start-start-menu.html
Relevancy 76.11%

I'm used to only ever having one account on my computers because I don't share them. I (regrettably?) upgraded my laptop to Win 10 months ago and yet I've only now noticed that I can't run certain apps including Calculator and Edge because my account is an 'Admin' account. I searched the net and this is an old problem but a) why am I noticing this only now? Is this restriction being rolled out slowly across different countries? b) Why is it okay for me to run other apps like PowerPoint and Inkscape?

c) How should I proceed? Can I make a new admin account and then downgrade the privileges of my current account or do I have to create a new user account and use that? Won't I lose all my user account cookies and desktop stuff and preferences and recent documents and so on and so forth?

A:All of a sudden I can't run some apps with my admin account?

This behaviour only happens if you are running with the built-in admin account which is very risky from a security point of view! All the modern windows apps will not run but the traditional programs will run. I'm not sure why you ended up with this but I suggest you do the following:

1. Create a new user account and set it up as a local account with administrator user settings , log into this account and copy over any personal files and settings from your previous admin account.
2. Disable the built-in Admin account
3. You can optionally convert your local account to a Microsoft Account if you wish to.

These tutorials will help:

User Account - Add in Windows 10
Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10
Microsoft Account - Switch to in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/49101-all-sudden-i-cant-run-some-apps-my-admin-account.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hello everyone, since few weeks, I started notice many problems on my Win 10, after 2 months of my update to windows 10 version 1511 (official), these problems are:
-I can't add any tile to the start menu and can't remove or move them, and their context menu has less options.
-Some built-in apps have a problem like "Microsoft Photos", "Microsoft Camera"..... I can't open any photo or take a picture using them. And their name in the start menu is like (@{Microsoft.Windows.Photos_16.122.14020.0_x86_8wekyb3d8bbwe?ms-resource://Microsoft.Windows.Photos/Resources/AppFriendlyName/}), I tried to make an update on Windows store but I couldn't update them because I had an error: 0x80070003, I tried to reinstall and uninstall them using powershell but it didn't work.
Can someone help me in my 2 problems and thank you for your help!

A:Windows 10 Built-in apps ans start menu problem

Please do the suggestions in the order they are listed :

1. Do a system file check to look for corrupt files. If any found, it will try to repair.
Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
It will take quite sometime.
When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
1. No integrity violation.
2. Found corrupt files and repair successful.
3. Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
If the report is #3, use this method................
In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
Again it will take some time.
When finished, it will give you a report.
If you get a "Source files could not be found" message, please post back. There is a fix for that.

2. If the above does not fix, do a Repair Install.
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/45180-windows-10-built-apps-ans-start-menu-problem.html
Relevancy 75.68%

After the upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10, I discovered that not all of the applications that were in the Start Menu under Windows 7 showed up in display that showed up when the "All Apps" button is clicked. I've installed additional programs
and found that the shortcuts were not installed in the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs folder, so I created my own directories for the new applications and put shortcuts for the missing items in the folder. However, the new folder
is not displayed when I click on the "All Apps" button, even though it's in the appropriate location for such information.
How does one refresh the information that is displayed when the "All Apps" button is clicked?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2284ddc9-48e0-4857-ad26-da1ef6d1402e/windows-10-some-folders-in-start-menuprograms-do-not-appear-in-all-apps?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 75.68%

An issue with the new Windows Start menu means that those with more than Windows Too menu Start MORE apps it bugs! many BREAK 10 application MORE Windows 10 bugs! Too many Start menu apps BREAK it shortcuts will have missing entries In Windows the Start menu includes an All Apps list which you can search for quick access to installed applications Start menu shortcuts are MORE Windows 10 bugs! Too many Start menu apps BREAK it still shortcut files placed in the same special locations as previous versions of Windows but the Start menu app appears to be driven by a database on which some optimistic Microsoft coder has placed a limit of entries The bug is documented to some extent here where a user complains I had a little over apps listed and after a secure reboot all my start menu links were gone and they re missing now from all apps too There is no way to get Windows to recognise them again Very annoying bug I brought down the number under by de-installing some stuff but it still doesn t work Journalist Peter Bright tweeted about the problem attracting the attention of Microsoft Program Manager Arunjeet Singh who said The issue seems to affect people with more than apps in their quot All apps quot list To tell whether you re one of them Bring up the Start menu and search for Windows Powershell Run Windows Powershell Run the command quot Get-StartApps measure quot without the quotes in the command window If you see a number larger than or equal to you are affected by this issue We are working on a fix to this issue The workaround is to use a third-party Start menu such as Stardock s Start Since the underlying shortcuts are intact these solutions still work correctly Another good idea is to defer upgrading to Windows until this kind of annoyance is fixed Source MORE Windows bugs Too many Start menu apps BREAK it PS the news goes back to but it seems that the bug is still present nbsp

A:MORE Windows 10 bugs! Too many Start menu apps BREAK it

500+ apps !!!! I barely have 50 apps. And most comes from MS Office.

https://malwaretips.com/threads/more-windows-10-bugs-too-many-start-menu-apps-break-it.51058/
Relevancy 75.68%

I need your help i recently just used my laptop and then suddenly the desktop is empty except the bin, all the apps are gone! , some of the files are missing when i looked to the directory it was all shortcuts ( some aren't )
Pls reply back i need help getting my files back

A:Windows 8 files,apps,start menu, missing

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Sounds like the PC may have been refreshed.

Check to see if you can restore to an earlier date.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/windows-8-files-apps-start-menu-missing-976729.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hello All I'm delighted No to accounts change /Cannot Admin admin user account existing Access to have found you and after a long day of trying to help myself i am now requiring your much appreciated assistance please I'm not a techy person at all and am hoping someone can help Last week my husband purchased a new hp laptop which No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account came with Windows On setup i used my No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account microsoft account to login with a pin the account was setup as administrator No Admin Access /Cannot change existing user accounts to admin account thinking i could change things later About days later i added a standard user account for my husband with a microsoft account login with pin I wanted to make his the administrator account but thought i had better change mine to a standard account first My mistake Now i cannot change anything i have tried to use the cmd prompt to run as administrator - it asks for administrator permission and does not allow me to enter a password or yes I have tried all suggestions to enable the hidden windows account but all ask for the same permission I have tried to go to setup recovery troubleshoot advanced option system restore - it requests an administrator password and when i entered what i thought is mine it does not work Feeling a little Does anybody know anyway i can go back in time to start again or how do i access administrator rights as i really need to add programs etc Thank you for any help given

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/61945-no-admin-access-cannot-change-existing-user-accounts-admin-account.html
Relevancy 75.68%

I have Windows 7 Home x32 on a laptop and I want to make a admin account and hide it from the user screen, I not only want to hide it but I want to be able to "load it" from the log on screen if I want (no CMD commands on the user accounts to use it) is this possible with 7?

Before on XP I had a hidden admin account and all I had to do was CTRL+ALT+DELETE and it would bring up my account, with windows 7 it doesn't seem to work this way. Now to be 100% clear, I don't want the default admin account (for trouble shooting) all I want is a second admin account that if needed can access user accounts on my laptop from the log-on screen by hitting some combination of keys.

Thank you.

A:Windows 7 Home Admin Account Hidden Access

I found this on another site. I also checked three other Internet references and they pointed to the following. It seems this may help you. However someone with more experience may have some other suggestions. Please read the following:

In order to hide a user account (which also means create a hidden user account) in Windows XP, Vista, or Windows 7, just go to Control Panel User module and create an additional user as usually do (Control Panel -> User Accounts and -> User Accounts in Windows 7 and Windows Vista). If you already have an existing user that wants to be made hidden, invisible or disappeared from Welcome Screen, then go straight to guide below.Run (RegEdit.exe).
Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

Note: If SpecialAccounts and UserList is not found, create new sub-key and name them accordingly.
Select UserList, and in the right pane, right click on any blank space, and point to New -> DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Name the new DWORD registry as the exact same name that match the name of the user account to be hidden. For example, if the user ID of the user account is John, the name the registry value as John.
Double click on DWORD , and set the value data to 0 in oder to hide the account from Welcome Screen. Tip: To display the user account on Welcome Screen again so that it’s visible again, delete the registry entry, or set the value data to 1.
Exit Registry Editor.
Log off or restart computer to make the change effective.
Tip: In order to login into Windows using an user account that has made hidden and invisible, just press Ctrl+Alt+Del to bring up Windows Logon dialog, and then type in the user name and password manually.

Hope this is what you were asking about.

Still Learning, Learning Still.

Curtis

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/277815-windows-7-home-admin-account-hidden-access.html
Relevancy 75.68%

Hi

Ive stumbled across a problem that has been causing me grief for a few days now, every time I try to access my hard drive (C disk) it says, access is denied. Also, i cant edit permissions because I've lost admin rights. Ive tried many things including unlocking the system admin, this lets me access a few extra things like being able to use the sfc command in cmd, however, it doesn't allow me to access the C disk or change permission because it also has lost admin rights? I fear that this is a bad problem and I don't know how it happened. I have tried restoring to a previous date and that doesn't work either.

Any help and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Shimin4tor

A:[SOLVED] Access denied to C disk and lost admin rights to system admin account

Hi and welcome to TSF so you have tried win 7 hidden admin Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista
have you installed or downloaded anything in the recent past

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-access-denied-to-c-disk-and-lost-admin-rights-to-system-admin-account-693530.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi,

I want to know if it makes a difference whether I install applications under the Admin or standard account. When I upgraded from XP to W7, I decided to setup an admin and a standard account. I know computers well but all my life, I always had one account but now want to be more secure.

I have been installing some applications under the Admin account and others under the Standard.

Does it matter? Is there any difference? Will I have a problem doing one over the other?

Thanks

A:Installing apps - Admin or standard account?

mkarias, usually you will have to log in as admin or provide an admin password to install an application. In the end, Win7 will see you as the admin. Standard accounts can't do many changes to the computer (that is the idea actually)

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/38512-installing-apps-admin-standard-account.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hello,
Just updated to 8.1. Still undecided. Specifically I somehow managed to get the admin apps shown on the was M$ account, now my local account start page. I can not figure out how to get rid of them. I hope someone with more experience can guide me.
Also can not figure out how to put the admin apps in my admin account.
Thanks for all assistance!
glennc

A:Put admin apps in local account and can't remove

Hello Glenn,

Please go ahead and post a screenshot of this to see if it may help to ID the issue.

Do you mean the Administrative Tools on the Start screen by chance?

Administrative Tools - Hide or Show in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/33936-put-admin-apps-local-account-cant-remove.html
Relevancy 74.82%

I have a problem with my Administrator Accounts in that I cannot access the below although I CAN access them from a Standard User Account???

1 When I try to start Windows Update (START / ALL PROGRAMS / WINDOWS UPDATE)
I get the following: Application not found

2 When I wish to access ANYTHING from the Control Panel (START / CONTROL PANEL / anything in Control Panel) or try to access START / DEVICES AND PRINTERS I get the following: a long string of numbers

3 When I try to get to Default Programs (START / DEFAULT PROGRAMS) I get the following: another long string of numbers.

Did try to attach screen shots but didn't work.

I can however access everything from a STANDARD USER account????

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate N

I would appreciate any assistance as the only assistance on the web is of no use as I have tried the limited suggestions without success and am totally at a loss now!

Thanks

A:Admin Account Cannot Access Contol Panel or Windows Update

Try this: Set Program Access and Computer Defaults - Enable or Disable

Have you attempted a AV scan?

Hope this helps,

Harry

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/255025-admin-account-cannot-access-contol-panel-windows-update.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Hi guys when my pc gets to the first screen where you choose your account my admin account has changed from my name to 'Other user' and when I click on it it asks for a username and password. Also trying to access files from the admin account when it prompts me with a password I enter it and the dialogue box goes away as if it has accepted the password but does not let me access the files. Any help appreciated thanks.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/381483-admin-account-corrupted-cant-access-files-using-admin-p-w.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I have upgraded to windows from and been using it for the last week now with no problems Today during a mandatory update my pc went blue screen and said it had to restart Once it restarted it updated and booted fine However after the update I realized that my start menu stopped working If I press it nothing shows up It is the same with my search menu Also none of my taskbar icons will work like the volume and notifications I have searched the internet and tried all the solutions provided like windows powershell and uninstalling antivirus and restarting explorer but nothing seems Windows icons 10 Menu, taskbar working not apps, Start and metro to work for me I can't reformat and clean install at the moment because it's really inconvenient for me and have some important files and big programs that I can't back up Can anyone please provide me a solution for Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working this bug Is there anyway I can reinstall the last update again manually Or if I revert Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working back to win would this problem still persist I can't afford to lose anything since I am away and need my computer for work

A:Windows 10 Start Menu, metro apps, and taskbar icons not working

Right click the start button and click on Programs and Features. (It's at the top.)
In the window that opens click on 'View installed updates'
Click on the updates you want to uninstall and Bob's your auntie's live-in lover!

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/15219-windows-10-start-menu-metro-apps-taskbar-icons-not-working.html
Relevancy 74.39%

So the th of July i went ahead and installed the Windows update Menu, Start microsoft or 10, Search doesn't any apps Windows work... It installed correctly and ran smooth without any problems for a few hours Suddenly i realized that my Windows 10, Start Menu, Search or any microsoft apps doesn't work... Start Menu button didn't open the start menu when i clicked it Neither did the search button I didn't really think Windows 10, Start Menu, Search or any microsoft apps doesn't work... about it much and continued gaming with one of my friends Later that night i tried to restart my pc to see if that fixed any of my issues Unfortunately nothing was fixed Now i Windows 10, Start Menu, Search or any microsoft apps doesn't work... can't open any microsoft apps other than the Health and training app through the Task Manager and then the apps tab Theres no way to access the settings or Windows Update so im stuck with just using non-microsoft apps if i can find them that is under my HDD Edit I can't rightclick anything in the taskbar or manage my internet connection Any help to fix this is highly appriciated Methods i have tried found around the internet Using the Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Foreach Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register quot InstallLocation AppXManifest xml quot command in Windows PowerShell as admin Running this troubleshooter from this link Neither of them fixed anything

A:Windows 10, Start Menu, Search or any microsoft apps doesn't work...

Similar problem only I could not get Windows installed apps to open properly. I have a Lenovo G560 with a Dynadock plugged into a USB port and two additional monitors connected to the laptop (one directly and one through the Dynadock. In anticipation of installing Win 10, I upgrade my RAM and replaced my hdd with an SSD drive. I am upgrading from Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium. I did the upgrade and not a clean install. The upgrade seemed to go just fine. The first thing I noticed was and Notices icon so I clicked on it and some notices appeared. I tried to click on those but as soon as I moved the mouse off of the notices icon the list disappeared. The same thing happened when I went to Start. I rebooted the computer and the above problems went away. So I began exploring around the Start Menu. I got cortana to recognize Hey Cortana and she even told me a joke. When I asked her to play Rock Paper Scissors, she started having problems. Again I rebooted, and she could tell a joke but no RPS. Then I asked her to open MS Edge but that did not work. Tried myself by clicking on the E icon and I got an error message saying it could not find Internet Explorer.exe. Went to Start Menu and tried to start Edge. It looked like it was going to but nothing appeared. I went to Task Manager and there it was running so I ended the process and tried again. No joy. Again reboot. First thing was to open Edge from Start Menu. That worked-- it opened. Tried to go to settings in the Start Menu but it acted like Edge above. It was running in Task Manager but not visible to me. Chrome, Lync, Word, Outlook, all worked. Cortana worked but when I tried other apps like Calculator, they did not work. My keyboard has a calculator launch button and that did not work either. I did notice that the apps that appeared not to work actually were running but closing them in Task Manager did not help. I could get the app to work if I rebooted and clicked on the app first before anything else. After about 2 hours of rebooting only to not have apps work and not really able to see what Win 10 could do, I restored Windows 7.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/10875-windows-10-start-menu-search-any-microsoft-apps-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 73.96%

Hi.
My start menu on windows 10 cannot click any programs to launch.
Also the new settings app. i cannot click anything on that either.
I have tried to restart explorer.exe but still doesnt work.

Any help would be appreciated

A:Windows Start Menu and Windows 10 Apps Dont Click

nvm it started working again :S

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/32453-windows-start-menu-windows-10-apps-dont-click.html
Relevancy 73.53%

I have a set of folder I encrypted from my user account. I haven't figured out how to access them from my admin account.

In reverse, while logged on my admin account, I droppped some files into folder encrypted by my user account. I can't access those files when I log on as a user.

How can I get access to all my encrypted files regardless of which logon I use?

A:Access my user account encrypted files from my admin account?

Umm...if you could access encrypted files from another user that would remove the whole point of encrypting the files to begin with.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/180997-access-my-user-account-encrypted-files-my-admin-account.html
Relevancy 73.53%

When I m in the middle of anything - typing in Word or just browsing with the mouse the Start menu pops up IE closes apps start opening and closing i e control panel printer etc It s crazy to watch - like someone has taken control of my computer Xp Windows & Erratic And Behavior Apps Start Pro Close In - Automatically. Open Menu I was given this Dimension PC recently The problem started occurring after I received it even though it never occurred during the years that I used it at my sister s company I checked for viruses but found none I reformatted the hard drive reinstalled Win XP Pro and straight away - it started happening Erratic Behavior In Xp Pro - Windows Apps & Start Menu Open And Close Automatically. again I have Verizon DSL w a DLink router using WEP Windows XP Pro w sp amp Firewall enabled I ve upgraded to the latest bios version chipset firmware drivers etc I ve looked in the event log - there are no errors Someone on the Dell msg bd suggested that I may have speech recognition enabled It didn t appear to be installed but I renamed quot sapisvr exe quot just to be sure Has anyone ever heard of this before I have a few holiday projects that I need to get done and I m desperate The computer is super fast but unusable with this random annoying behavior Thank you mj

A:Erratic Behavior In Xp Pro - Windows Apps & Start Menu Open And Close Automatically.

sounds like the symptoms of some type of virus. wiping the hard drive generally should do the trick. i suppose unless a virus has deeply affected the hard drive that a regular format wont touch.how did you format? did you run a utility that writes zeros on the drive?which deletes all existing partitions?then create a new one? or, did you simply do format c:?if you did format c: at the command prompt, the problem could be a lurking virus on that partition.delete the partition and create a new one either using a startup floppy and the fdisk command at the prompt,or a utility that writes zeros to the drive....for that i use powermax, works with maxtor, WD, and quantum drives,not sure about other brands, a full low level format and reinstallation of windows is what i recommend.run the full low level format.then use the setup cd, that guides tou through creating a new partition andformattinng it for windows{xp} not sure if you can do this with other OS, you made need to create your new partition using a startup floppy and fdisk.http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Hard-D.../Powermax.shtml

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/38032/erratic-behavior-in-xp-pro-windows-apps-start-menu-open-and-close-automatically/
Relevancy 70.95%

I am experiencing the following very strange intermittent problems and evil behavior in XP.

My Start Menu sometimes only appears for a split second when clicked and will not stay displayed. Also minimised apps. wont maximise and apps. and short cuts on the desktop wont launch when double left clicked and instead show properties as if they were right clicked!!

I have done the following to try and resolve these issues.

1. Updated from SP1 to SP 2 as well as all the security updates.

2. Ran Adaware and Spybot to find any unwelcome visitors. Adaware only found one minor issue.

3. Ran Symantec Antivirus which found and quarantined several viruses.

4. Ran WinDoctor which found and said it resolved quite a few issues.

This is really a pain as it makes the system virtually unusable except for when it is behaving which is rare.

Would be grateful for any suggestions, solutions, incantations or workarounds for this issue/s

Kind regards

Binaryboy

A:Start Menu flickers/dissapears, apps. wont launch & minimised apps. wont maximise!!

Hi binaryboy, Welcome to TSG!!

Please post a HJT log for us to review.

Click here to download HJTsetup.exe: http://www.thespykiller.co.uk/files/HJTSetup.exe
Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.

Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the Select Addition Tasks dialogue.
Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
Click on the Do a system scan and save a log file button. It will scan and then ask you to save the log.
Click Save to save the log file and then the log will open in notepad.
Click on "Edit > Select All" then click on "Edit > Copy" to copy the entire contents of the log.
Come back here to this thread and Paste the log in your next reply.
DO NOT have Hijack This fix anything yet. Most of what it finds will be harmless or even required.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/start-menu-flickers-dissapears-apps-wont-launch-minimised-apps-wont-maximise.435131/
Relevancy 70.95%

I've been trying to fix my Windows Desktop computer for a few weeks now with no luck I tried Googling the problem and it seems hard to find people having the same issue THe closest I could find anywhere on the Internet was the thread here that looks similar Windows no text no menus nothing However reading the thread I couldn't see a clear resolution that applied to me So a few weeks ago my startup crashed I think from having too many interrupted startups I ran the Windows diagnostic tool so my computer could boot up again It boots up again However now - and cant on Fonts desktop start Windows 7 dissapeared menu load there the follow problems - Windows 7 - Fonts on desktop dissapeared and cant load start menu Start Menu won't launch Basically you click it and it won't respond along with any items on taskbar - No fonts show up below the icons on the desktop - Can't use Windows explorer as the icons and fonts are ridiculously small So I can't navaigate even through the file Windows 7 - Fonts on desktop dissapeared and cant load start menu directory at all - And the system seems to take forever to load and seems like its always quot working quot and then eventually crashes and get blue screen However I can seem to run some of the programs on my desktop I want to save against doing a fresh install since I have years of programs installed with a bunch of configurations that take me forever to remember the settings I tried a bunch of things Trying to download stinger exe and the command line Via bootup to command line and running that Can't seem to do that as the program doesn't work System Restore also doesn't work either Just gives me some quot x ffff quot error after it seems to finish the process Safe mode doesn't do much either Still have the same windows navaigation problem The only thing I can really seem to do cleanly is be able to get into a command prompt So if there is a way I could do fixes there that would be ideal Please help it's been really frustrating Posted are some screenshots of how the problem looks Screenshot Fonts on Desktop Icons don't show and start menu doesn't respond However SOME fonts show up on some clickable programs www soulmeld com windows-problem screen jpg Screenshot Windows Explorer not navigational Fonts and icons are illegibly small http www soulmeld com windows-problem screen jpg

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/382847-windows-7-fonts-desktop-dissapeared-cant-load-start-menu.html
Relevancy 69.66%

Ok, having some strange problems..

On one profile I'm missing the start menu. I can access task manager with CTRL+ALT+DELETE, but I don't get any user names for the process'

On another profile there is a start menu but I just get an hourglass when I mouse-over it.

Relevancy 69.66%

Hi

Need a help regd

In start menu when right click a app i don get option Pin to start r remove apps ...just app r app icon get selected...a tick mark appear. Can't remove also. No menu option shows..don know HW suddenly this happened. Made win 8.1 updates. Using 8.1 core edition x64

Can't resize also.

Tried to open gpedit.MSC . it throws error can't open gpedit. Make sure u typed properly

A:Pin to start r remove apps not working in start menu

search group policy and open it from there.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/65011-pin-start-r-remove-apps-not-working-start-menu.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I have a Dell running Vista Home Basic. There are two accounts set up. One was for a family member who is no longer with us, and I do not know the password. The other account , "Jan", did not have a password, but is now messed up so I cannot log in. When I choose "Jan" I get the following: the user profile service failed the login - user profile cannot be loaded. I read some about this on another forum and it was suggested that I go into safe mode and try to get the "real" built-in administrator account enabled. I did so, but then when I re-boot I do not get that built-in admin account as an option. Can you help further?

A:cannot login, user profile cannot load, cannot run built-in admin account

Originally Posted by Jeff Eriksen

I have a Dell running Vista Home Basic. There are two accounts set up. One was for a family member who is no longer with us, and I do not know the password. The other account , "Jan", did not have a password, but is now messed up so I cannot log in. When I choose "Jan" I get the following: the user profile service failed the login - user profile cannot be loaded. I read some about this on another forum and it was suggested that I go into safe mode and try to get the "real" built-in administrator account enabled. I did so, but then when I re-boot I do not get that built-in admin account as an option. Can you help further?

Jeff
there is a tutorial here for when the user profile fails to start. you might want to take a look. its here User Profile Error - Logged on with a Temporary Profile

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/255341-cannot-login-user-profile-cannot-load-cannot-run-built-admin-account.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Is this really a limitation for win Obviously apps can be pinned as tiles but it's impossible to pin them to the left area It seems that only a select list of folders can be pinned there but not apps or any personal folders You're stuck with some automated process to determine which apps appear and which don't recently used most used etc That's useless if an app doesn't fall into those categories Coming from win this is extremely dissappointing It seems the new windows start menu is all about showy tiles and seriously lacking in function I guess folks were so used to win that any improvement was seen as a revolution Am I missing something here - Is there some way to remove all those quot NEW quot signs beside all the apps in the All Apps directory - Any way of narrowing the widith of the tile panel I mean the height can be changed but not the width I have a narrow strip of small tiles within a massive panel If I remove all of them it dissappears but can't simply decrease the width

A:Can't pin apps to start-menu.

Hello sleepless,

You might see if the tutorial below may be able to help add shortcuts of apps in the All Apps area of your Start menu.

All apps in Start menu - Add or Remove Items in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/53341-cant-pin-apps-start-menu.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello all, is there a way to have the apps menu opened when i press the winkey instead of the start menu?

I like how everything is organized in apps, icons, sizes, etc but i can't find a way to open apps without opening the start menu first, or press win-x or click on search.

I have a lot of shortcuts in different folders and i'd like to have them organized the way the apps menu organizes all the programs.

thx all in advance

A:Apps instead of start menu

Hello Gallo, and welcome to Eight Forums.

Actually, the Start screen may be better for this since you could organize and arrange them how you like in Start where you can't in Apps. The tutorials below can help show you how to if you like.
Start Screen - Pin or Unpin App, Folder, or Drive in Windows 8Start Screen Apps - Organize into GroupsStart Screen - Name or Rename a Group of Apps in Windows 8http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials...ndows-8-a.html
Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/7083-apps-instead-start-menu.html
Relevancy 68.37%

it seems windows has more clutter than any before it there are so many apps i'll probably never use i feel like deleting all of them but i need to know what they are are apps... necessary? menu any start i suppose all these music movie reading and game links go to websites so i could probably get rid of start menu apps... are any necessary? all those wildtangent games - isn't that a virus even the one that says microsoft solitaire collection looks suspicious to me what is it where does it go the thing that bugs me the most is how microsoft ignored flash all these years now suddenly all my flash videos open with windows live movie maker which is some online thing with all these start menu apps... are any necessary? agreements and such and who knows what and every time i accidentally click on one there it is again and it yells at me for not accepting windows live essentials If you use the software to access content that has been protected with Microsoft Digital Rights Management DRM the software may automatically request media usage rights from an online rights server and download and install DRM updates in order to let you play the content i'd like to get rid of all of this all this cyberlink stuff all this hp stuff who knows if i need it or not there's like sixty programs installed is there a list somewhere of all the apps installed that would let me know what and where they are that would help me make an intelligent decision i could click on everything and see where it goes but i really don't want to do that thanks for any help you can give

A:start menu apps... are any necessary?

You could try Should I remove it.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/59365-start-menu-apps-any-necessary.html
Relevancy 68.37%

For anyone NEW to Windows The start screen is NOT a replacement for the start menu The all apps area IS the replacement for the start menu The start screen is a place for links to get pinned It is a launcher A start screen Similarly the desktop screen is a all start new apps menu the is typical dumping ground for shortcuts that you might or might not want there It would be up all apps is the new start menu to the user whether to keep them there or not The same holds true for the start screen The start screen is an application launching area Whether you think the metro or the Windows Store is all apps is the new start menu bad or good does not matter here The start screen is not designed to manage everything and all installations on the computer The all apps area is where the Operating System manages sorts labels and organizes everything installed on the computer NOT the start screen The all apps area uses a feature called semantic zooming point your mouse to the bottom right corner where you see a minus sign or press Ctrl and roll your mouse scroll wheel in the all apps area that summarizes the contents of what is installed on the computer Here every block is alphabetically organized and labelled into their own program group The zooming feature is highly adaptable to many installations and takes one to the screen where your program is located Unzoomed all apps is a new design to eliminate nesting and hierarchical menu structuring Any frequently needed program can be pinned to the start screen or taskbar on the desktop That's it Apps Screen - Open in Windows Start Screen - Pin or Unpin App Folder or Drive in Windows quot All Apps quot Shortcut - Create in Windows

A:all apps is the new start menu

There is another thread, arguing the pros and cons on this subject. I can see your point, but I see the (call it Metro) screen differently.
In windows 7 and earlier, I spent time, after an initial install, arranging the Start menu into folders. I knew the contents of those folders and, when I required an app, I could go there with the necessary clicks. (Start Globe - Programs - Folder - Application). I have arranged my Metro in groups, in a similar way. But I find a spin off here. I would like the groups folded. But I have eliminated those I use infrequently, and have finished with about fifteen "dailies". This , to me, is directly comparative to the old menu.
When I select "All Apps", I get a shortcut to every .exe on my computer. Not quite so good as my earlier, more selective, system, as I said, the folders are all open, but it works for me. One sweep and I am across to the other side. I have now got used to knowing which side particular apps lie, so it takes an instant of my time. With my method of customisation, I certainly do not regard it as a Start menu. It is what I find when I open respective folders.
My opinion only: I have never liked the idea (I know it is popular!) of cluttering my desktop (that is, the legacy desktop) with shortcut icons and, frankly, I see not a single advantage over the Metro screen, of the Desktop in you picture.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/9789-all-apps-new-start-menu.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi all, my son has a windows tablet which i activated using my existing windows live account. I have downloaded him some games to play but it seems he can only access these when he is logged in as me. Is there anyway that i can give him access to all of his games etc when logged in as himself. I do not want him to always log in as me, as he will have full access to all of my private stuff such as email and family safety etc. Thanks

A:account access for apps

From the title I am assuming these are games downloaded from the Windows Store? I think he will have to download these himself when he is logged in in order to have them set up on his own account. I believe the store apps get associated with the user who downloaded rather than all users on the device.

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/38777-account-access-apps.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I forgot the password to my admin account, so I have to use the guest account. However, the guest account won't let me change or download things without the admin password. I've tried downloading software to get the password, but it won't let me. Please help, I can't afford to reboot my computer.

--James

Relevancy 68.37%

Hi guys fairly new to win but I do remember quite fondly and everything else leading up to this leadbelly software Ok first and last bitch My son account access HELP!! admin Cant decided to give my mother his new then PC She has a slow dial up and in the transition of adding her as admin and deleting him the network failed long enough to HELP!! Cant access admin account not allow her admin status to take effect but oddly enough allowing him to be deleted as admin no big deal I thought clueless as to the throttling grip MS has added to to date I have tried everything to resolve this issue but foiled at every turn Problem is the YES button is never highlighted in every event to add an admin password I have followed pretty much most quot solutions quot only to be be mocked at the finish line with no YES button ANY assistance would be welcomed Thanks Rob By the by I have since bought the Princess Bride and myself laptops each with Win and was quite happy until I upgraded to and lost my desktop pic Bizarre goneski and after searching forever found the pix in some obscure folder not of my making What is this dark majic you dabble in Mister Gates

A:HELP!! Cant access admin account

Have you tried to turn on the built in Administrator account?

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

You can use this to then make a new Administrator type user.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/35097-help-cant-access-admin-account.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Can't access my admin account. Mistakenly replaced the standard and admin accounts. I tried creating an admin account with gmail adress. Didn't get any email on google account or a password for the account. Now I can't access it and I'm stuck with a standard account. Did anyone have the same/similar problem?

A:Can't access admin account on win 8.1

Hello Mario, and welcome to Eight Forums.

You might see if you may be able to use OPTION TWO in the tutorial below to enable the built-in Administrator account at boot. Afterwards, sign in to it to fix your account.

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/59414-cant-access-admin-account-win-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I cannot access my admin account on my pc. I get as far as the log on screen, enter my password, then the following error message appears: "Your account has been disabled. Please see your system administrator".
I only have 1 account on this machine (the account i cant access!!!). The computer is connected to a network.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Dougie

Relevancy 68.37%

Hi, I've been given a works laptop windows 8 with a user account but need to make changes to settings at will,as the administrator is virtually impossible to get hold of. I was wondering if I managed to hack that account whether it would affect the overall company domain or just the pc.hope you can understand my explanation as I'm no cyber chimp.also is there a way to access admin status without being found out!!

A:Access to admin account on pc

If it's a works machine then no you're out of luck. IT have purposely limited the machine for a reason of security. If you do hack it they will know.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/access-admin-account-pc-4605090/
Relevancy 68.37%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium , Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 2.80GHz, x64 Family 15 Model 6 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2046 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 7100 GS, 256 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 211033 MB, Free - 113066 MB; D: Total - 27439 MB, Free - 17447 MB;
Motherboard: iQon.ie, 945GZM-S2, ,
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011, Updated and Enabled:

eek:
when i try to access the admin account, it says "The user profile service service failed the logon. user profile cannot be loaded.
i cannot delete programs in control panel, the pc has 4 accounts, all password protected as well as admin. dya think it's something fixable or pc hospital. i asked for (and got, yay!) an external hard drive for my bday but am scared of messing and still not sorting the problem.
any advice gratefully received.

A:cannot access admin account

I've encounter this problem in win xp not in vista yet. But I believe the solution maybe about the same. Do you now using guest profile,normal user profile or admin profile? Because you say that the pc has 4 accounts that has password protected as well as admin. I suggest you read:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/1...-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html

make sure that you read carefully instruction on both of the website. If you can try to obtain at least one admin account to do this fix. Have you try to boot in safe mode to delete the account?? I believe that maybe that the admin account that you want to access is corrupted. well good luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-admin-account.986520/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi Guys,

This is driving me crazy (again!) I am trying to fix my friends laptop as I believe possibly some malware is around. He has set himself up a a standard user which was not the smartest of moves. I cannot run any applications without UAC blocking my every move. When I try to open the command prompt (run) and run as administrator it asks me to contimue, "type an administrator password and then click OK". BUT BUT there is nowhere to type this password and indeed the last time I opened up the hidden admin account I was granted access in through ...no probs....this time nope!! I read somewhere that this could be a high level malware attack which takes control of UAC apart from this the PC "seem" to be operating ok.

Any ideas??

Many Thanks

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/215347-no-access-admin-account.html
Relevancy 68.37%

The firm in which I work has a Lenovo PC with Windows 10 installed. There are two user profiles on the computer, the admin and another normal account without administration rights. We have only the password of the account without administrator rights.

The network administrator had left the company surprisingly in without giving the administrator password of the PC and we cannot contact him anymore.

Now we want to install another programme and we cannot do this without an administrator account.

I disabled secure boot and have tried to boot the PC with an Linux USB Stick, but it do not boot from the stick.

Any suggestion how I either can reset the password of the administrator account or create an new account with administrator rights.

A:Windows 10 admin password reset or new account with admin rights

Although there may be techniques to recover a lost password it is forum policy that we do not discuss these here - your best bet would be to visit a local security specialist and get them to recover/reset it for you - and a change to the policy for the replacement admin may be a good idea, I always wrote a list of all passwords and stored it with the Managing Director and also in a fireproof safe

http://www.tenforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/38274-windows-10-admin-password-reset-new-account-admin-rights.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I am Arun Kumar Kushwaha and I have discovered one Big Loophole Security Leak in Microsoft's Windows Operating System worldwide through which we can Access Delete Copy Replace Important Data without Cracking Resetting the Login Password in Windows OS and for this we not need any can windows want user locked login I is access (locked microsoft with password) to Admin/ know account we know OS rd party Software CD DVD Pen drive CMD Script or any other means of hacking Devices tool only through Windows OS we can Access anybodies Computer Around the world and user will never get to know that his her computer has accessed by someone else This is purely Microsoft's Negligence towards user's Around the world I want to know is microsoft know we can access locked windows OS (locked Admin/ user account with login password) U can assume how much serious is this Issue if anybody can steal confidential Important data of Company Govt data or any other Sensitive Personal data of anyone who are using windows OS I have Talked through telephone to MS India regarding this Issue and they told me that there is no loophole in their OS and can't be accessed by anyone without having Login Password or User need to Reset login Password with tool software available also i have mailed to MS Technical support Team and also asked about this issue on Windows worldwide official support forum but not get any meaning full response from them I am asking this message to here coz i want to Spread this issue around the world so every user can secure their Data and also MS can rectify this issue by releasing an OS Update Thanks for reading Your's Truly Arun Kumar Kushwaha

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a5bb2b05-44c4-40de-9de5-f98791edc8bf/i-want-to-know-is-microsoft-know-we-can-access-locked-windows-os-locked-admin-user-account-with?forum=mata
Relevancy 67.94%

Is there a way to move apps from the Start Menu to folders on the Desktop? I want to put all games that are now tiles in my Start Menu to a Games Folder on my Desktop.

A:Start Menu Apps to Desktop?

Just drag/drop the app to desktop, or to the corresponding desktop folders.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-support/46338-start-menu-apps-desktop.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I think i am kinda stupid for asking this(seeing how it seems like it should be such a simple thing. Also, how i do i get an email sent to me when someone replys to my treads?
Thanks,
Ben

A:How do i restore apps to the start menu

Hello Neverhavemoney!

First r click on the prog / app in question and click "Pin To Start Menu".
Second go to "User CP", above then "Edit Options", "Messaging & Notification" change it to what you want.

Keep us informed!

Later Ted

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/189281-how-do-i-restore-apps-start-menu.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I deleted a browser a long time ago and, today, when looking for an app I noticed the browswer software was still in apps list in start menu. It would not delete, so did this route and got it. Dont know if this is of any value but thought I'd tell you.

C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/60578-deleting-apps-start-menu.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I personally enjoy the Windows 8 Start Menu and I was wondering whether I could directly go to Apps when I press the Windows key instead of going to the Start Menu first, then right clicking, and then going to All Apps. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

A:Is there a way to go directly to Apps in the Start Menu?

From the desktop or start screen - move mouse to top right (or bottom) - get charms -
select the search - 1 click to ALL APPS
or - start screen - Winkey + Z / press enter
or from the desktop - Winkey + C / search / press enter

Unfortunately, we cannot speak to the computer and say:
"Computer > Start Screen"

or

"Computer > ALL APPS"

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/8663-there-way-go-directly-apps-start-menu.html
Relevancy 67.94%

My wife has a Lumia 550 with Windows 10 mobile and recently decided to uninstall an app called 6tag. When she returned to her start menu most of her apps had disappeared. I checked using the storage app and they're all still on the phone but she has no way of accessing them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/434717-all-my-apps-phone-but-cannot-seen-start-menu.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I've got a MP-202 VoIP router which was given by our ISP to make landline phone calls.
The problem is that there's no access to its Web configuration interface.ISP rep told me that if anything ,THEY will access it remotely themselves.My mail server stopped working...
I tried to access MP-202' web interface by typing http://mp202.home in the browser (According to the manual),but it didn't work.Also I tried to type an IP and that also didn't work.
Any ideas?
I forgot to mention that it was probably a special edition of MP-202 customly made by AudioCodes to avoid customer's tweaking of the device.It does NOT have a reset button.

A:How to access routers admin menu ?

It is probably only remotely accessible by your ISP, however i haven't personally came across any company that does this - you should still be able to access your administration menu, so you can diagnose issues and resolve issues. Your only hope i guess would be to talk to your ISP again, maybe a different rep.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-access-routers-admin-menu.839894/
Relevancy 67.51%

I decided to unistall the Search function from windows setup so it took out indexing, as no matter what I tired it always turned itself back on and started indexing crap again (even stuff I took out of its options etc.) Very annoying. But now that I don't have the Start Menu search box (like in step 7,) I wanted to know if there was a way to run stuff with the 'run as admin' from the 'Run' box in the start menu?
Thanks,
Ick

A:Run stuff with 'run as admin' from 'Run' box in start menu?

Quote: Originally Posted by Icarus

I decided to unistall the Search function from windows setup so it took out indexing, as no matter what I tired it always turned itself back on and started indexing crap again (even stuff I took out of its options etc.) Very annoying. But now that I don't have the Start Menu search box (like in step 7,) I wanted to know if there was a way to run stuff with the 'run as admin' from the 'Run' box in the start menu?
Thanks,
Ick

HowToGeek have a guide on disabling (and therefore enabling) the Search feature, maybe you can just enable it again? Check this page for more.

Otherwise, browse to the Windows folder through explorer, right-click on CMD.exe and run as admin. That should work just fine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/215520-run-stuff-run-admin-run-box-start-menu.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Omg my comp is so screwy First thing I noticed was that my help and support didn't work but i managed to reinstall some dll's and fixed it on Access Denied Admin Account! My system restore doesn't work It just says windows can not find lt link tree gt please type in name correctly and try again I could not fix that one Then I changed my SID with a SID generator to use a program Then after that my sister can not access her files in her account ne more It just said access denied as soon as she logs in Only recycle bin is on the desktop Wallpaper reverted to original All her icons on desktop is gone I tried accessing her account through my own whcih has full admin priviledges but i got denied btw i also get denied looking at d and e drives sometimes I tried making a new admin account but that one couldnt access my sisters account also Then I read somewhere I should go Access Denied on Admin Account! into safe mode and make a new admin account But when I tried I couldnt even load into safe mode My comp loaded a bunch of what I assumed to be files or processes or sumthing and then restarted saying it failed to load So now I had to load in normal mode and create an account here and type all this HELP ME I AM CRYING

Relevancy 67.51%

i need help im tired of watching silent videos from youtube im pretty decent at looking up information fix account admin to can't driver access on the web but i couldnt provide this time so bare with me as this is my first time posting anything in any forum i have a computer that my download happy stepmom screwed up and crashed it worked great untill she went can't access admin account to fix driver crazy and spent - hours a day everyday on myspace and she evidently followed every lead from myspace to download something a total of about gb worth can't access admin account to fix driver of downloads and then it crashed when i was on vacation and because can't access admin account to fix driver she couldnt get off myspace for a week untill i got home she did a system recovery herself without any technical knowledge or experience and ever since then there has been no sound she had me try to fix it once but she had withdraws after about minutes and kicked me off to go download more crap she moved out and i finally have unrestricted time allowances four months later with no way of backing up all my music videos documents and almost legal programs i cant seem to log on to the admin account to replace the driver manually XP home legacy with downloaded SP and as for a list of programs way to extensive to list when i boot into safe mode the screen pops up with the user account and the admin account no password but when i click on the admin account it says quot loading personal settings quot and then thats it i have control of the mouse up untill a time several hours later but it never leaves that screen when i click on the user account the thing logs right in i figured since the user account has admin abilities i could delete the defective driver manually but it says i dont have rights to do that i dont know what to do next so whatever anyone can do to help thanks nbsp

A:can't access admin account to fix driver

can everybody say something even if they dont know anything that way this post stays at the top please im tired of watching silent youtube videos

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-admin-account-to-fix-driver.730029/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi, hope someone can help me with this.

I switched on the Guest account and changed the account type to admin, then turned my only other account from admin to standard, then turned off guest account, i done this as i was told it is best to only use a standard account on a day to day basis, anyway i now cannot access the "manage another account" page, i get a popup with "To continue, type in an administrator password and then click yes" point is there is no password setup in either the guest account or the standard one, cannot do anything without that popup happening. I cannot access the guest account because it is switched off.

any advise is most welcome.

A:Can't Access Admin Account to make changes

See here:

User Account - Reset Password in Windows 7 - Sevenforums
How to Reset Your Forgotten Windows Password the Easy Way - How-To Geek
How to Reset Your Windows Password Without an Install CD - How-To Geek

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/269456-cant-access-admin-account-make-changes.html
Relevancy 67.51%

hope this is the right forum, apologize if it isn't.

I'm running xp sp2 on my laptop. I was having trouble getting Inet Explorer 7 to run ( I use Mozilla) so I created a new user account to see if it would work there. . I gave it admin privileges and a password. Now, my other admin account is gone and I can't access any admin files from my new account. I reviewed the forums and found this is a common problem but I couldn't find any resolution for my specific problem. Please help! I would hate to erase my hardrive and re-install windows! I have too many files that I'd hate to lose.

Relevancy 67.51%

Hi Guys,

Out of the blue my windows Xp crashed. It kept rebooting the moment windows was about to load. I tried to use the system recovery using the repair utility with a bootable disk.

Since then, I am able to log into two guest accounts but not into the main admin account which still reboots on start up. Any ideas how I can recover the main admin account or repair it?

Regards,
Sanjay Nair

A:Admin account keeps rebooting on start-up.

Can you boot into safe mode? If so try instead "Last Known Good Configuration"?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/admin-account-keeps-rebooting-on-start-up.614678/
Relevancy 67.51%

I installed coreldraw on my laptop running Vista Home. The installation went fine but now that I want to run the program it says that for the first time to run I must be an Administrator . The problem is that there is no other accounts on my machine and I am the administrator. Can anyone help me to regain the decisionmaking power over my machine or is something like that completely impossible. PLEASE HELP !!

Relevancy 67.08%

I recently purchased a game from the Windows Store. It said it was installed. I went to the start screen to find it and it is not there. I did a search and it does not show up. I went back to the store to re-install it but it says I own the app,

Anyone have any ideas how I can sort this out. I am running Windows 8.1 Preview.

A:Purchased Apps not appearing in start menu

does it show when you view the 'all apps' screen or use the search option using the app name?

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/32287-purchased-apps-not-appearing-start-menu.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I've tried the tutorial Here and it does not work.

I'm trying to add the app 'DotA 2' and have put it in the \programdata\microsoft\windows\start menu\programs and then restarted my PC. It is still not showing up.

A:How can I add programs to the All Apps start menu list?

Same problem here. It just ends up pinning it to the right. :/

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/12802-how-can-i-add-programs-all-apps-start-menu-list.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Made a clean install format HDD etc with W AU Since then I can not press the Win-button and start typing the name of an app it will just Search apps! does Start on any Menu How to find not fix? find documents and other stuff with Search on Start Menu does not find any apps! How to fix? a matching name not the app itself There are a few apps like Notepad and Powershell that shows up but not apps like Calculator or E-mail or any third party apps for that matter I live in a EU region without Cortana I have realized that I am not the only one with this problem but fixes that work for others does not seem to work for me I have tried Running Powershell command Get-AppXPackage -Name Microsoft Windows Cortana Foreach Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register quot InstallLocation AppXManifest xml quot which just gives me Deployment failed with HRESULT x D Deleting the reg key HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Explorer FolderTypes ef b cb-f ce- - - ca c e c TopViews - - - - Run the search troubleshooter and rebuilding the index This is so annoying I am very thankful for any ideas what to try next

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/441478-search-start-menu-does-not-find-any-apps-how-fix.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi guys Long time reader first time poster I've searched the forum as well as I could here to check if anyone else had a similar problem and I even glanced through the first six or seven pages of General Discussion in case someone posted it differently there unfortunately it seems either no one else has noticed this issue or I'm the only one experiencing it I've noticed this on both a clean install of the -bit version and an upgrade from x Vista Ultimate Start running menu/Run Problem apps from in on a separate system It seems every time I launch any application by typing the name in the start bar or through Run Windows seems to redirect to my user folder and that too incorrectly For eg My username on the computer is quot Rohit Kapur quot If I try and Problem in running apps from Start menu/Run open Notepad by typing as much in start Windows responds with this And this is what pops up every time I open any application or even if I try and open a folder without typing the direct path eg Appdata Any ideas Oh also if I DO try and open the quot file quot to see what exactly it's doing it tells me that the file's name is quot C Users Rohit quot I guess it encounters a problem as soon as the space comes in between the username and cuts off there Help would be greatly greatly appreciated

A:Problem in running apps from Start menu/Run

Not sure if I follow you but I just typed "notepad" in the start menu and that's what it opened.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/1921-problem-running-apps-start-menu-run.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hey,

I just upgraded to Windows 7 from Windows XP and I have run into a snag. I have my hard drive split into 2 partitions. One (the C drive) is for the OS, the other (D drive) is for everything else. I installed Windows 7 on the C drive, and performed a clean install. Everything installed fine, but none of my files populated on the desktop or the Start menu. Both drives are recognized and permit access in my computer and Disk Manager. Some files (movies and music) can be directly accessed from the D drive but all other programs (games, files, internet browsers) state that they must be installed before they can be used. Is there anything I can do or do I have to wipe my D partition and reinstall everything?

A:No previous apps in Start menu or Desktop

Unfortunately, unless you had used the upgrade version of windows 7 to start with and not used the clean install ever, all your programmes, games, whatever ( on "c" ) will be gone and you will need to install them all again ( if they are compatible with windows 7 ), you may have moved the folders of the programmes but there are also registry keys and hidden folders that you would not have been able to export or move to windows 7.

also, now you have overwritten or formatted your hard drive, even if you installed windows xp again.. you will be in the same situation, so the best advice I can give is to carry on to get it all working again.

That is what a 'clean install' is, it removes everything in that hard drive and installs windows onto it

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/40643-no-previous-apps-start-menu-desktop.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi, my name's Pedro and I'm using Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14332.
I have a laptop Lenovo Yoga 11s, Intel I5 3339Y, 8GB, Intel HD Graphics 4000 (last driver) and 128GB SSD card.

In the last build (14328), after a good install and a normal work short period, the All Apps in Start Menu has disappeared. It doesn't appears in Start Menu anymore since then.
I've installed the new build (14332) hoping that this could be solved, but that doesn't happens. I've changed the video driver but that did not work either.

So I'm asking here if anybody has some information about this that could help me to solve it.

Thanx in advance

A:All Apps doesn't appears in Start Menu

I do not understand your question.

Since 14238, theete is no longer an "all apps" link. All Apps are just shown now.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/48623-all-apps-doesnt-appears-start-menu.html
Relevancy 67.08%

On my Start Menu, the All Apps doesn't always include the items I want (I solved that problem) but MS added a bunch of garbage/stuff that I do not want. If I want them, I'll add them myself. I don't need all the clutter.

Examples are Java; Get Office; Calculator; Get Skype, etc. Some aren't even installed. I don't need this stress in my life. I'm a simple man that only runs a few programs.
Any help?

thanks

A:Delete items from the Start Menu / All Apps that you do not want

These are only links, as you yourself state, "not even installed".
If this causes stress either stop using W10 or get some tranquilisers.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/40349-delete-items-start-menu-all-apps-you-do-not-want.html
Relevancy 67.08%

So, I've been trying to add a few things to the app list in the start menu for a while now. Every site I've gone to says to put the shortcuts in "%AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs". I have done that multiple times, checked to make sure the shortcuts were pointed at the correct executable, moved the short cuts up a directory and then back to the Programs folder. I have restarted my machine since then, and I'm not quite sure where I'm going wrong.

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/66649-cannot-add-shortcuts-apps-list-start-menu.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hello All,

After the nightmare update we have all be enjoying, which has reset a lot of my customisation and fonts as well as killing one app, I have also got all my apps showing in my start menu instead of the convenient 'All Apps' button which made my start menu so neat and tidy before.

Anyone have an ideas on how to hide all my apps again? My start menu is ginormous with them all taking up space in the middle there, and everything I need quick access to is there in icon form anyway.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice,
LMX

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/65275-how-return-all-apps-option-start-menu.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hello All,

After the nightmare update we have all be enjoying, which has reset a lot of my customisation and fonts as well as killing one app, I have also got all my apps showing in my start menu instead of the convenient 'All Apps' button which made my start menu so neat and tidy before.

Anyone have an ideas on how to hide all my apps again? My start menu is ginormous with them all taking up space in the middle there, and everything I need quick access to is there in icon form anyway.

Thanks in advance for your time and advice,
LMX

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/65275-how-return-all-apps-option-start-menu.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I can place a new folder or custom shortcut in the correct start menu location (current user or all users) but it will not appear in the All apps list. If I go to the folder or shortcut and right-click Pin to Start it will appear as a tile in the start menu, but still will not show up in the All apps list. I think this behavior started with Version 1511 since it was working for me in the previous version.

A:Unable to add to All apps list in Start Menu

Hi, a quick test seems to show the same. The representation of traditional start menu items and structures in Win 10's start menu is (in my experience) garbage. And not just since the November upgrade. Sorry to have to say that, but it flattens all the subfolders inherited from a 'normal' menu used in Win 7 and 8, loses the sub-folders, including those created by each program's installation, leading to things like

Help
Help
Help

where each 'Help' is from a different program.

If you want a meaningful start menu without these quirks and oddities, try e.g. Classic Shell.

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/32855-unable-add-all-apps-list-start-menu.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi guys,

Just got this error and couldn't find anything like this solved.
The icons (or maybe the apps) are missing from the start menu.

Thanks,
Gabriel.

A:Start menu icons/apps missing

If you have one you can try a system restore to a time before this happened. You could also try down loading the ISO from MS and doing a in-place repair install. Windows 10 ISO Download - Windows 10 Forums
To do the in-place repair mount the ISO by double clicking on it. Then look for the install.exe and clicking on it. This will repair Windows 10 without you loosing anything and hopefully fixing your problem.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/40753-start-menu-icons-apps-missing.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi all I have a problem. I can't access my boot menu because it asks me for admin password that i never set. Then it gives me code which is 60455956. Please Help!

A:How do i access boot menu without admin password?

@dsing96? Enter    75533398 Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/How-do-i-access-boot-menu-without-admin-password/td-p/5648323
Relevancy 67.08%

I recently had some problems with my desktop reconfiguring each time I logged in and rebuilding Access after problems account admin deleting all my files Nothing I found on online and fix this problem So this is the approach I took Created a temporary administrator account quot mine quot Deleted my account quot Robert quot Rebooted the machine to be doubly sure that all changes had taken effect Recreated my account quot Robert quot configured as administrator Deleted temporary account quot mine quot The This seemed to work I had a stable desktop Access problems after rebuilding admin account and I was able to reload all my data files from a backup Now we come to the situation that I Access problems after rebuilding admin account am hoping someone can help me with A lot of three files and folders on the system will not give me Access problems after rebuilding admin account an immediate access any longer as I have to use UAC This as affected my backup program SyncBackFree and all so free download manager There are now two user accounts that appear to be mirrored quot Robert quot amp quot Robert machinename quot the latter I have never seen before until now and there are no other users on the machine except for myself Can someone tell me how I can get it back to be able to the way it should do with out having to do a reinstall Thanks Robert

A:Access problems after rebuilding admin account

Try Take Ownership Shortcut.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/306597-access-problems-after-rebuilding-admin-account.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi Guys,

I bought this Laptop pre-installed with windows 8 couple of months ago. I created a new user with admin rights and was working fine. Then, I created new user (an invalid microsoft account) and assigned it admin rights. This account is like a junk account [email protected] and assigned admin rights. I never set any password for this. For some reason, I changed my original admin account to normal user. Now, I cant login using the invalid microsoft account and lost my admin rights to my laptop. Also, I dont have recovery cd created.

What options do I have to get back admin status?

A:Lost access to Admin account - urgent help pls

Download Hiren's BootCD 15.2 - All in one Bootable CD ? www.hiren.info , burn it to CD/USB, change BIOS to boot from it then use
Offline NT Password Changer 2011-05-11

Please report back if this solves your problem.

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/21745-lost-access-admin-account-urgent-help-pls.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I have two user accounts on Vista Home Pro.
One is a standard, limited user account (password protected) and the other is my admin account (obviously with admin privileges and password protected).

I am not sure when this started happening but I am unable to launch control panel under my admin account.
I get a pop-up of "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item".
The title bar of this pop-up has "::{26EE0668-A00A-44D7-9371-BEB064C98683}"

What I can do is launch control panel from my standard/limited user account and, when prompted, enter the admin password.
Seems my Admin account has somehow become corrupted. If so how can I fix it?

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Walter

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/123126-admin-account-cant-access-control-panel.html
Relevancy 67.08%

So I've been recently having issues with permissions or something related to it I first noticed it when I would always get this security prompt when attempting to open a shortcut to Teamspeak Now I'm just trying to install a program and Admin Denied account while using Access 5: Error it's saying that I don't have rights to the Local Temp folder Obviously the first Error 5: Access Denied while using Admin account thing I checked what whether or not my account was still an administrator Check Then I made sure UAC was turned off Check Then I went ahead and attempted Error 5: Access Denied while using Admin account to give myself Full Access permissions to the entire C drive Then I get these Access Denied errors using Error 5: Access Denied while using Admin account this process and I have no idea why Which also says the same thing about Program Files It did allow me to take ownership of the drive s though Of course I attempted to Google the issue and tried many methods including several from these forums Error applying security http www sevenforums com tutorials rmissions html I don't know what else to try thus why I'm here Thanks

A:Error 5: Access Denied while using Admin account

I was able to resolve the File Security prompt for opening shortcuts (i.e. Teamspeak 3) by enabling 'Launching applications and unsafe files' in Internet Options. BUT I'm still getting the permissions error and cannot give myself full access!

I've also noticed that there are about three updates that I cannot install. I'm sure this has to do with my permissions issue as well. If any of you are wondering my OS is installed on my primary SSD (C:\) which is one of the drives I'm trying to alter. The other drives seemed to work fairly OK with a few minor issues.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/273283-error-5-access-denied-while-using-admin-account.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Okay guys this actually happened a while back and I never got round to fixing it, but basically when I turn my PC I see my guest account and what used to be my admin account, it used to be called Curt and now is saying Other user and I actually have to type the name and password in and it says that it is incorrect. It's also running very slowly so it takes a while for normal actions. Help is hugely appreciated, thank you.

A:Admin account corrupted, can't access it or any of its files.

Quote: Originally Posted by curtfh

...I actually have to type the name and password in and it says that it is incorrect....

I would use the tool mentioned in option 5 of this tutorial to remove the password:
User Account - Reset Password in Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/390781-admin-account-corrupted-cant-access-any-its-files.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Unable to change User Account Control settings in Windows 7

I am unable to access my User Account Setting in Windows 7 when I click on it nothing comes up , even though I'm logged in as an administrator. When I click on "Change User Account Control Settings", absolutely nothing happens.

I am not able to access cmd as a admin.I have only one account and that is my admin account.When I click on admin cmd it open but when I right click and try to access it as a administrator nothing comes up.

I am also not able to install any new software on to my computer it show a Pop-up window user account control do you really want to allow this file to make changed on your computer I say yes and nothing happens

Can anyone please help me with this Thanks!

A:I am not able to access User Account Control on win 7 Pro using admin.

Sounds like you have lost administrator rights.
Are you sure your password is correct?

Check and see if you can go to a restore point before this happened.
It might not let you do this either.

http://www.sevenforums.com/system-security/321132-i-am-not-able-access-user-account-control-win-7-pro-using-admin.html
Relevancy 67.08%

I cannot find the solution to this anywhere for months now. I've had to do a clean reinstall of my win xp HE. My old user account has dissapeared from user accounts. its still in win explorer is "documents and settings" but every time i try to access it, it says access is denied. Also tried doing so in dos, and with other various programs. I've managed to get the files from within the folder using "getdataback for ntfs".
Would appreciate it if you could help me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-access-a-user-account-in-admin-mode.328985/
Relevancy 67.08%

I've posted about this the other day, and I now have reason to believe that a virus is part of the problem. I have an admin account, and every other account on my computer is an admin account, yet none of them can access MSCONFIG, or install stuff. I get registry errors when I try to install, but I can still access REGEDIT.

Anyone had this problem and knows how to fix it (short of re-formatting)?

Relevancy 67.08%

Hello I reset the Windows OS on a laptop I am giving to a friend I had set them up as the Admin but when I wanted to reinstall Office it asked for the account under which Office was originally installed So I added myself as an Admin and changed my friend to a standard user I restarted teh computer and now it does not recognize either one of us as an Admin I have gone through all of the advanced options in Troubleshoot but they all end up at PC; start admin to no account recognized Unable teh same point quot You need to sign in as aqn administrator to continue but there aren't any administrator accounts on this PC quot Below that it says quot Forgot your passwword or don't see your account quot Unable to start PC; no admin account recognized When I click on that it says quot This list only shows administrator accounts that have previously signed into this PC and does not include standard user or domain accounts You need to be signed in as an administrator to use some repair and restore tools If you don't have a password for any of these accounts you can restart to try singing in to Windows to manage your user accounts quot I have restarted it about a dozen times and it goes straight from a bootup screen to a blue screen that says Automatic Repair Your PC did not start correctly Press quot Restart quot to restart your PC which can sometimes fix the problem You can also press quot Advanced options quot to try other options to repair your PC I'm stuck in a loop of that It won't let me make corrections without being signed on as an admin but it won't sign me on as an admin

http://www.eightforums.com/user-accounts-family-safety/54643-unable-start-pc-no-admin-account-recognized.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi I am using a windows Home prem bit I want a computer with no administrator privilege The start up screen should only show one standard account There should be no other account to see when I start up the PC And when the standard account wants a admin privilege a box should appear where I the screen up start admin hide account at can type in the password What I tried was activating the default administrator account by quot hide admin account at the start up screen net user administrator active yes quot After setting the password I deactivated the admin account inorder to hide it at the start up screen But when the quot standard account quot wanted to use the admin privilege it asked for the password with no field to type it into Apparently disabling the administrator account means not able to use the admin password either I had to restart the PC in quot Safe Mode Command hide admin account at the start up screen Prompt quot go into the admin account activate the admin account net user administrator active yes restart the PC and so on Long story short I don't want to have the admin account to be like quot IN YOUR FACE quot when ever the user quot STARTS UP quot this computer Is this thing possible

A:hide admin account at the start up screen

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

Is this the one that you need ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/210730-hide-admin-account-start-up-screen.html
Relevancy 67.08%

Hello and I am new to this forum as I need help with quot Hide admin account at the start up screen quot I did download the file Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable I saved the file in download folder then extract this file to desktop Then I click the quot DisableUACforAdmin quot now my question is that where is this registry go to Because of asking is that after I start at admin Hide account up screen the clicked this and the message popped up on the screen and said below Registry Editor Adding information can unintentionally change or delete values and cause components to stop working correctly If you do not trust the source of this information in C Users Mackay Desktop DisableUACforAdmin reg do not add it Hide admin account at the start up screen to the registry Are you sure you want to continue Yes No And I did go ahead to click this and not sure if it is working because I tried again to restart the computer and the icon on the screen still show What have I done now with this Forgot to add that my operating system is Windows x Home Premium Your help would be appreciated Thank you John

A:Hide admin account at the start up screen

Is Mackay in the Administrators Group ? If so do the following

Built-in Administrator Account - Enable or Disable

Open up an Elevated Command Prompt. Click on in type CMD . Right click on CMD under Programs (1) choose . On the User Access Control window click on the Yes button . Command Prompt opens up to C:\Windows\System32>_

Inside the command prompt type in the command below

net user administrator /active:no

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/302071-hide-admin-account-start-up-screen.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi I bought a Fujitsu Lifebook T- off Craigslist about a month ago nbsp It came with XP Pro installed nbsp A couple of weeks later I had a problem with a virus and after scanning and cleaning with Microsoft Security Scanner I couldn t get Windows Firewall to let me back onto the internet so I installed Comodo Firewall So last night I was trying to open start other various menu/taskbar can't Windows XP - issues c: access drive, up some PDF files files I ve opened before but Comodo Firewall kept popping up asking for permissions nbsp I was telling it to allow everything and then Windows XP - can't access c: drive, various other start menu/taskbar issues everything went wrong nbsp I could no longer open any files couldn t start task manager and couldn t access my c drive said I didn t have the right permissions nbsp When I restarted most of the task bar icons were missing internet connection Dropbox Comodo sound etc but task manager says all the processes are running nbsp When I click on the Start Menu it pops up but I can t click on anything in the menu Windows XP - can't access c: drive, various other start menu/taskbar issues nbsp I ve run scans from AVG Avast Microsoft security scanner Malwarebytes and several other programs and only Malwarebytes came up with anything at all several PUP objects related to Softonics nbsp No changes to my task bar start menu or ability to access c drive out of safe mode nbsp I don t know anymore if this is even a virus nbsp I ve looked online for remedies to my symptoms but hardly any match exactly what I m experiencing and apparently thousand different things could be causing any of them Help very much appreciated Here are the logs AdwCleaner v - Report created at Updated by Xplode Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack bits Username Administrator - LIFEBOOK Running from C Documents and Settings Administrator My Documents Downloads adwcleaner exe Option Scan Services Files Folders Shortcuts Registry Key Found HKLM Software InstallIQ Browsers - Internet Explorer v - Mozilla Firefox v en-US File C Documents and Settings Administrator Application Data Mozilla Firefox Profiles nzaowmbt default prefs js - Google Chrome v File C Documents and Settings Administrator Local Settings Application Data Google Chrome User Data Default preferences AdwCleaner R txt - octets - EOF - C AdwCleaner AdwCleaner R txt - octets Malwarebytes Anti-Malware www malwarebytes orgDatabase version v Windows XP Service Pack x NTFS Safe Mode Networking Internet Explorer Administrator LIFEBOOK administrator AMmbam-log- - - - - txtScan type Full scan C D Scan options enabled Memory Startup Registry File System Heuristics Extra Heuristics Shuriken PUP PUMScan options disabled P PObjects scanned Time elapsed minute s second s Memory Processes Detected No malicious items detected Memory Modules Detected No malicious items detected Registry Keys Detected HKCR TypeLib DCABB - E- C - -ECBEE AF PUP Optional Smart - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully HKCR Interface AC D- E- - F B- B B F PUP Optional Smart - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully Registry Values Detected No malicious items detected Registry Data Items Detected No malicious items detected Folders Detected No malicious items detected Files Detected C Documents and Settings Administrator Local Settings Temp Offer exe PUP Optional Conduit A - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully C Documents and Settings Administrator Local Settings Temp DownloadManager exe PUP Optional Smart - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully C Documents and Settings Administrator Local Settings Temporary Internet Files Content IE IG NKWY SearchProtectPerionInstaller exe PUP Optional Conduit A - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully C Documents and Settings Administrator My Documents Downloads GOMPLAYERENSETUP EXE PUP Optional OpenCandy - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully C System Volume Information restore E A- F - F- F E- E D CB RP A exe PUP Optional ExpressFiles A - gt... Read more

A:Windows XP - can't access c: drive, various other start menu/taskbar issues

Hello and welcome to Computer Hope Forum. My name is Dave. I will be helping you out with your particular problem on your computer. 1. I will be working on your Malware issues. This may or may not solve other issues you have with your machine.2. The fixes are specific to your problem and should only be used for this issue on this machine.3. If you don't know or understand something, please don't hesitate to ask.4. Please DO NOT run any other tools or scans while I am helping you.5. It is important that you reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic.6. Your security programs may give warnings for some of the tools I will ask you to use. Be assured, any links I give are safe.7. Absence of symptoms does not mean that everything is clear.If you can't access the internet with your infected computer you will have to download and transfer any programs to the computer you're using now and transfer them to the infected computer with a CD-RW or a USB storage device. I prefer a CD because a storage device can get infected. If you use a storage device hold the shift key down while inserting the USB storage device for about 10 secs. You will also have to transfer the logs you receive back to the good computer using the same method until we can get the computer back on-line. *************************************************************************The CF log shows that you have two AV programs on your computer. (AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2014 and avast ! Antivirus  Please make sure that only one AV is active at any time on your computer otherwise, they will cause conflicts.Please run the defrag  tool on your harddrive soon. (SSD means Solid State Drive.) If you need help with that, please let me know.Please download Unhide by Grinler from here and save it to your desktop.Double click unhide.exe to run the tool.It will take some time to go through all your files, so please be patient.If this tool doesn?t fix the problem, please let me know.*******************************************Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.?Warning! Once the scan is complete JRT will shut down your browser with NO warning.?Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.?Temporarily disable your Antivirus and any Antispyware real time protection before performing a scan. Click this link to see a list of security programs that should be disabled and how to disable them.?Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista or Windows 7, right-click JRT and select Run as Administrator?The tool will open and start scanning your system.?Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.?On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.?Copy and Paste the JRT.txt log into your next message.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,141540.0.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I hope it's kosher to post a link to another post I made in the XP forum (I'm only doing this because someone suggested I do). I dont think I have a virus/malware problem, but maybe someone here will recognize it.http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/top...tml#entry844517ThanksUPDATE: I just finished running the a-squared command malware tool and all that it came up with was 19 cookies.

A:Failed To Load Dll, No Start Menu, Programs Wont Start, Etc

Please try using this to repair the broken registry entry that may be causing this.Download Autoruns, search for the related entry and then delete it.Create a new folder on your hard drive called AutoRuns (C:\AutoRuns) and extract (unzip) the file there. (click HERE if you're not sure how to do this.)Open the folder and double-click on autoruns.exe to launch it.Please be patient as it scans and populates the entries.When done scanning, it will say Ready at the bottom.Scroll through the list and look for a startup entry related to the file(s) in the error message.Right-click on the entry and choose delete.Reboot your computer and see if the startup error returns.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/150704/failed-to-load-dll-no-start-menu-programs-wont-start-etc/
Relevancy 66.22%

After disabling and uninstalling Cortana, Edge and others as well as Search I ended up with 2 dead icons in the All apps menu one for Search and one for Edge. When I drag the Search icon to the desktop it's named as:
@{Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.4.8.176_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewyms-resource--Microsoft.Windows.Cortana-resources-TileDisplayName} but not sure I want to start deleting various reg entries where this shows. I also tried in all the usual places where the shortcuts are supposed to be but nothing worked and the icons are still there so wondering if anyone has an idea how they can be removed if at all. It's more of a cosmetic problem as I have no issues with Windows otherwise

A:Removing dead icons from Start menu All Apps

Originally Posted by shimshom

After disabling and uninstalling Cortana, Edge and others as well as Search I ended up with 2 dead icons in the All apps menu one for Search and one for Edge. When I drag the Search icon to the desktop it's named as:
@{Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.4.8.176_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewyms-resource--Microsoft.Windows.Cortana-resources-TileDisplayName} but not sure I want to start deleting various reg entries where this shows. I also tried in all the usual places where the shortcuts are supposed to be but nothing worked and the icons are still there so wondering if anyone has an idea how they can be removed if at all. It's more of a cosmetic problem as I have no issues with Windows otherwise

Here you go brother, shimshom

Get a yourself the Unlocker 1.9.2 ( install it )

Get your self also take ownership right click command tool
Here is the task after you get both tools

You need to remove the entry from AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\Database\vedatamodel.edb or rename it to vedatamodel.edb/temp after you pushed the ownership command and the unlocker tool in rename mode

Also take a extra backup copy of it, just in case something does go wrong.

*** Reboot your windows and the broken link or dead link within your windows 10 menu should be gone.

You might need to add new short cuts again yourself example office and other apps you have installed, after the menu system sector has been flushed after the main reboot that's an easy fix

PS: you might also get a access error that's also a an easy fix if you get nailed for an area after the menu reset or flush

Go back into the location and delete the vedatamodel.edb/temp and your set and do a clean total update check and cleanup and take a back up restore image and your set and good.
AcuraTML ; )

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/25406-removing-dead-icons-start-menu-all-apps.html
Relevancy 66.22%

I purchased this all-in-one about 3 months ago and have used it fine until today when I started it, I could not get the start menu to pull up and can't open any of the apps on the tool bar, including the window app store, explorer or pandora that I have a link for on my desktop. I can only open programs I downloaded separately (AutoCAD and Firefox), but nothing that came installed. I tried to download the detector from dell.com to run a diagnostic but it won't install. I've restarted a few times and it's the same.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19996758
Relevancy 66.22%

One final hack/adjustment and I will be at peace.
So far no-one has come up with a way to remove the stupid letters from the start menu apps list... have they?

Please do NOT suggest third part apps.
I value the right click menu features on the Start button and all the third party Start Menu apps screw with this.
I don't want another program, I just want the stupid clumsy letters gone!

Any creative geniuses out there?
I'm not the only one who wants this, surely!

And it doesn't even work...
Is the name of the program used to determine where the app goes or the name of the company that makes the program.. or even whether it's free or not!
(See image F for Free!)
Useless and pathetic Microsoft!

A:Kill the letters! (Start menu apps list.)

All apps in Start menu - Open and Use in Windows 10

There is no way to remove the letters.
They are a carry over from 8.
The Windows 10 menu is an updated desktop version of the metro UI in 8.

It is designed to reduce or eliminate scrolling.
Clicking a letter takes one to an install title.
It is up to the developer to generate a proper name.
The menu can only work with what it is given.

http://www.tenforums.com/customization/16698-kill-letters-start-menu-apps-list.html
Relevancy 66.22%

hi all

my start menu doesn't work. clicking on task bar items does not work. (wifi, notifications)
opening apps doesn't work. WIN + I or trying to open update from Win + R doesn't work (message "the app didn't open")
clicking the search doesn't work. Clicking the windows (to the right of search) works.
Thoughts?

A:Start menu doesn't work and apps won't open

Hi, an often reported issue- tho' yours has the added run box report.
As I don't know the history... as in 'did this ever work' 'is it a clean install or an upgrade' 'what did you do before this happened' etc I'll take a simple view.

I will assume you don't use disk imaging, else you would have restored an image you'd created prior to this happening. Highly recommended strategy to back up, preserve your PC and your sanity without tech help.

You could have conflicting 3rd party programs from an AV ovwards, so yuo could check whether these work
a. after clean boot
b. in safe mode

You could try the standard
chkdsk c: \F from an admin command prompt.
Then
sfc /scannow from the same.
Finally there is a DISM command you can run.

However, I would recommend you run chkdsk, then do an in place upgrade install, one of the really good things about Win 10.
This keeps most settings and all your progs.
(Note disk imaging can provide a much faster fix).
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

You can also search this forum, as there are many threads on this topic.
Good luck!

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/39609-start-menu-doesnt-work-apps-wont-open.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi guys. I've recently needed to disable Windows 8 Start Menu due to the reason for laziness and that I wouldn't go unpinning each program one by one, after I installed the Office suite and K-Lite Codec Pack, the start menu was flooded by all the programs!

Any ideas? Thanks

A:Is there a way to massively remove all pinned apps in Win 8 Start Menu

As far as I know no there isn't I also like this screen to be "simple" If you think about it, it is a touch screen start menu and all these entries (as annoying as I personally find them) really and truly belong to the start menu

http://www.eightforums.com/customization/3254-there-way-massively-remove-all-pinned-apps-win-8-start-menu.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hey all,

So as the title says, Im unable to remove the icons from the Start menu "app" section, not a huge deal, but makes it look ugly having a whole bunch of unusable tiles there

so I followed Brink's walk-through

"Apps" Screen - Add or Remove Items in Windows 8

and still having them there and not able to be deleted..

so any ideas of what I can do?

A:Uninstalled Apps still show in Metro start menu

when you right click the icon - choose Open FIle Location - then delete the shortcut or folder from start menu
may have to do it for %user% and %allusers%

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/68552-uninstalled-apps-still-show-metro-start-menu.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi I tried installing the anniversary update on a PC I upgraded from disappeared apps and start [HELP] All menu taskbar and from programs windows that worked well with TH The first attempt failed and restored TH I cleared windows update and [HELP] All apps and programs disappeared from start menu and taskbar tried again but it failed again however this time after restoring TH everything was fine at first and after a few minutes when I tried to open the start menu windows explorer crashed and relaunched and all apps and programs pinned to the taskbar except windows explorer got unpinned What's worse is that my start menu is virtually empty I cannot launch settings and all apps only shows D builder OneNote Photos and Xbox Cortana search cannot launch any apps or programs but will launch edge to perform a search however the icon does not show in the taskbar What I find strange is this problem only affects one user and another admin test account has no problem I ran DISM restorehealth however I do not see any difference I tried rolling back to a previous windows build that was saved on my disk windows old but this failed Anyone know how I can restore the start menu and all apps list for this user Thanks in advance for the help

A:[HELP] All apps and programs disappeared from start menu and taskbar

creating the user account again? Or is that not an option?

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-10/436483-%5Bhelp%5D-all-apps-programs-disappeared-start-menu-taskbar.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Hi Launching an app such as weather or easy gmail will sometimes bring up the app freeze on opening and never open and then I can't use the start menu anymore I have tried running sfc no problems I have tried using the powershell to reinstall all apps but it just happens again soon after This last time I logged out of my account and then back in and it was fixed but so far the apps freezing locking 10 Win menu randomly & up start freeze rate is at least of the time and I used to use the weather app all the time and don't Win 10 apps randomly freezing & locking up start menu want to have to keep logging in and out as it is very disruptive to work flow Sometimes when I click on the magnifying glass it will pop up but I can't type Win 10 apps randomly freezing & locking up start menu to search for things This is on a fresh install on a new hybrid hard drive All I've done is installed a few programs apps that were already on there and if it matters anti-spyware beacon which I had on before without issue Windows is fully updated although yesterday it seemed like update had frozen when trying to download windows defender updates Thank you

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/56654-win-10-apps-randomly-freezing-locking-up-start-menu.html
Relevancy 66.22%

hi all

my start menu doesn't work. clicking on task bar items does not work. (wifi, notifications)
opening apps doesn't work. WIN + I or trying to open update from Win + R doesn't work (message "the app didn't open")
clicking the search doesn't work. Clicking the windows (to the right of search) works.
Thoughts?

A:Start menu doesn't work and apps won't open

Hi, an often reported issue- tho' yours has the added run box report.
As I don't know the history... as in 'did this ever work' 'is it a clean install or an upgrade' 'what did you do before this happened' etc I'll take a simple view.

I will assume you don't use disk imaging, else you would have restored an image you'd created prior to this happening. Highly recommended strategy to back up, preserve your PC and your sanity without tech help.

You could have conflicting 3rd party programs from an AV ovwards, so yuo could check whether these work
a. after clean boot
b. in safe mode

You could try the standard
chkdsk c: \F from an admin command prompt.
Then
sfc /scannow from the same.
Finally there is a DISM command you can run.

However, I would recommend you run chkdsk, then do an in place upgrade install, one of the really good things about Win 10.
This keeps most settings and all your progs.
(Note disk imaging can provide a much faster fix).
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

You can also search this forum, as there are many threads on this topic.
Good luck!

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/39609-start-menu-doesnt-work-apps-wont-open.html