Windows Support Forum

windows 10 problems - start menu doesn't appear, windows key doesn't work, etc

Q: windows 10 problems - start menu doesn't appear, windows key doesn't work, etc

Updated to Windows from Windows two weeks ago Had problems with Firefox Tried to download to replace existing Firefox CNET site appeared to be correct but something seemed wrong so I killed the download But - The windows start menu doesn't come up when I click on the icon but if I right-click a text menu does appear and lets me for example shut down - If I click on the Windows End icon in the task bar the screen flashes but End does not come up Ditto for the Windows Store icon - Somewhere SpyBot S amp D was erased etc windows - problems 10 doesn't appear, menu windows doesn't start key work, but I was able to download it - If I double-click on a photo in Windows Explorer I get a popup that lists the name of the jpeg and says Invalid Entry to Registry If I right click on the photo and go to any of the options the photo is opened except if I choose Photo - Firefox cannot properly display the Yahoo mail page though Pale Moon windows 10 problems - start menu doesn't appear, windows key doesn't work, etc and Opera can - I have Avast Anti-Virus and MalwareBytes Anti-Malware and when I run their scans they find no issues SO there are a few issues that I need help with

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: windows 10 problems - start menu doesn't appear, windows key doesn't work, etc

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: windows 10 problems - start menu doesn't appear, windows key doesn't work, etc

Hello,
Well the first thing you should try is to Run System Restore to before all of these problems started or to when you first installed Windows 10.
Then try to download Firefox from there website
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/
Third thing is I would recommend to get rid of Avast it is low end and could be allowing virus I recommend ether McAfee or Norton Security.

Those are some things to think about
but it is all up to you when making your final decision

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/588007/windows-10-problems-start-menu-doesnt-appear-windows-key-doesnt-work-etc/
Relevancy 88.04%

Very recently I began encountering an issue where randomly windows will stop appearing as they should If I open task manager Steam Firefox etc the contents of the window will appear as black The top bar and borders around the window will appear however everything inside the window will be black Additionally the start menu does not display any options To make matters more confusing any windows already open BEFORE encountering this bug will continue to work Windows start black, doesn't are menu work So if Firefox was opened before encountering the issue it will work just fine However any window opened after this Windows are black, start menu doesn't work point will appear as black Since I was unable to save screenshots I have attached pictures of the issue In the picture you can see Firefox open and working just fine However I noticed the problem when a Steam notification appeared as a black box You may also notice that the task bar does not show any open windows You can also see how the start menu has stopped functioning System info I have updated my graphics drivers to the latest version Windows is also up to date Gigabyte GA-Z A-D H-B Intel i k Sandy Bridge x GB DDR MHz Windows are black, start menu doesn't work G Skill Sniper Low Voltage WD Velociraptor GB SATA GB s Seagate Barracuda GB SATA GB s WD Black TB EVGA GTX HD in SLI Silverstone OP - W PSU Super Writemaster DVD drive The only significant change before I started encountering this problem was updating the graphics drivers however that at least week before I encountered the issue However the other day windows notified me Windows are black, start menu doesn't work that the graphics drivers crashed but fully recovered I'm not sure what to think Edit I will also add that I was able to close and then re-open firefox while encountering this issue When re-opened Firefox was NOT black and functioned normally Additionally even though the options in the start menu were not visible I could still click shut down

A:Windows are black, start menu doesn't work

The first thing I would do is backup your data to another drive.

Run GSmartControl to see SMART attributes and to run the Long generic test on the drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/368579-windows-black-start-menu-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 88.04%

My xps 420 came with vista. My hard drive crashed So Installed a new one with window 8.1. I recently got a windows 10 upgrade and now my computer freezes and crashes and has be restarted a lot. My start menu doesn't work either. I am running 3gb of ram. would a higher ram help with my problem?

A:Windows 10 keeps crashing < start menu doesn't work

anyone have any ideas?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19650495
Relevancy 86.18%

So the th of July i went ahead and installed the Windows update Menu, Start microsoft or 10, Search doesn't any apps Windows work... It installed correctly and ran smooth without any problems for a few hours Suddenly i realized that my Windows 10, Start Menu, Search or any microsoft apps doesn't work... Start Menu button didn't open the start menu when i clicked it Neither did the search button I didn't really think Windows 10, Start Menu, Search or any microsoft apps doesn't work... about it much and continued gaming with one of my friends Later that night i tried to restart my pc to see if that fixed any of my issues Unfortunately nothing was fixed Now i Windows 10, Start Menu, Search or any microsoft apps doesn't work... can't open any microsoft apps other than the Health and training app through the Task Manager and then the apps tab Theres no way to access the settings or Windows Update so im stuck with just using non-microsoft apps if i can find them that is under my HDD Edit I can't rightclick anything in the taskbar or manage my internet connection Any help to fix this is highly appriciated Methods i have tried found around the internet Using the Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers Foreach Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register quot InstallLocation AppXManifest xml quot command in Windows PowerShell as admin Running this troubleshooter from this link Neither of them fixed anything

A:Windows 10, Start Menu, Search or any microsoft apps doesn't work...

Similar problem only I could not get Windows installed apps to open properly. I have a Lenovo G560 with a Dynadock plugged into a USB port and two additional monitors connected to the laptop (one directly and one through the Dynadock. In anticipation of installing Win 10, I upgrade my RAM and replaced my hdd with an SSD drive. I am upgrading from Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium. I did the upgrade and not a clean install. The upgrade seemed to go just fine. The first thing I noticed was and Notices icon so I clicked on it and some notices appeared. I tried to click on those but as soon as I moved the mouse off of the notices icon the list disappeared. The same thing happened when I went to Start. I rebooted the computer and the above problems went away. So I began exploring around the Start Menu. I got cortana to recognize Hey Cortana and she even told me a joke. When I asked her to play Rock Paper Scissors, she started having problems. Again I rebooted, and she could tell a joke but no RPS. Then I asked her to open MS Edge but that did not work. Tried myself by clicking on the E icon and I got an error message saying it could not find Internet Explorer.exe. Went to Start Menu and tried to start Edge. It looked like it was going to but nothing appeared. I went to Task Manager and there it was running so I ended the process and tried again. No joy. Again reboot. First thing was to open Edge from Start Menu. That worked-- it opened. Tried to go to settings in the Start Menu but it acted like Edge above. It was running in Task Manager but not visible to me. Chrome, Lync, Word, Outlook, all worked. Cortana worked but when I tried other apps like Calculator, they did not work. My keyboard has a calculator launch button and that did not work either. I did notice that the apps that appeared not to work actually were running but closing them in Task Manager did not help. I could get the app to work if I rebooted and clicked on the app first before anything else. After about 2 hours of rebooting only to not have apps work and not really able to see what Win 10 could do, I restored Windows 7.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/10875-windows-10-start-menu-search-any-microsoft-apps-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 105.78%

Pasting in contextual information from another post OBconflicker Bi nf worm keeps reappearing windows defender monitor stops working slow computer windows search protocol windows pop up Malware virusPop up windows keep appearing quot Windows search protocol host stopped working stopped, protocol search work, doesn't firefox work microsoft host windows slow, itunes doesn't and was closed quot Itunes occassionally doesn t work Media Sync doesn t work Hard Drive keeps working microsoft windows search protocol host stopped, slow, firefox doesn't work, itunes doesn't work in the microsoft windows search protocol host stopped, slow, firefox doesn't work, itunes doesn't work background Windows Defender no longer monitors the running programs End of added information microsoft windows search protocol host stopped, slow, firefox doesn't work, itunes doesn't work OBLogfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C Windows system taskeng exeC Windows system Dwm exeC Windows Explorer EXEC Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exeC Program Files Digital Media Reader readericon G exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files Intel IntelDH CCU CCU TrayIcon exeC Program Files Common Files Intel IntelDH NMS Support IntelHCTAgent exeC Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager IAAnotif exeC Windows WindowsMobile wmdc exeC Windows System hkcmd exeC Windows System igfxpers exeC Windows sttray exeC Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exeC Windows ehome ehtray exeC Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exeC Users Owner AppData Local Temp nkapg r exeC Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnscfg exeC Windows system wbem unsecapp exeC Users Owner AppData Local Temp smss exeC Program Files BullGuard Ltd BullGuard BullGuard exeC Windows system igfxsrvc exeC Windows system WerFault exeC Users Owner AppData Local Temp win exeC Users Owner AppData Local Temp csrss exeC Users Owner AppData Local Temp system exeC Program Files Intel IntelDH CCU CCU Engine exeC Users Owner AppData Local Temp Low services exeC Users Owner AppData Local Temp Low smss exeC Users Owner AppData Local Temp Low notepad exeC Windows system wuauclt exeC Windows system taskeng exeC Users Owner AppData Local Temp Low Low win exeC Users Owner AppData Local Temp Low Low win exeC Users Owner AppData Local Temp Low Low login exeC Program Files BullGuard Ltd BullGuard BGScan exeC Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXEC Program Files Internet Explorer ieuser exeC Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http home mywebsearch com index jhtml pt amp n ce dR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName F - REG system ini UserInit C Windows system winlogon exeO - Hosts localhost Inserted By STOPzilla O - Toolbar McAfee VirusScan - BA B -B - c -B - F F - c progra mcafee com vso mcvsshl dllO - HKLM Run readericon C Program Files Digital Media Reader readericon G exeO - HKLM Run Recguard WINDIR SMINST RECGUARD EXEO - HKLM Run Reminder WINDIR Creator Remind XP exeO - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Progr... Read more

A:microsoft windows search protocol host stopped, slow, firefox doesn't work, itunes doesn't work

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/289777/microsoft-windows-search-protocol-host-stopped-slow-firefox-doesnt-work-itunes-doesnt-work/
Relevancy 105.78%

Howdy here s as much detail about my problem as i can find Windows XP Pro SP For some reason after Menu doesn't work Start a while of having been booted up the start Start Menu doesn't work menu ceases to appear I can click on it hit the Windows key hit Ctrl-Esc and NOTHING only a reboot makes it function properly Also right clicking on the task bar the Toolbars gt disappears as well When i reboot the Quick Launch toolbar is not displayed and when i enable it the order in which it was originally in seems to have been lost The start menu is in Classic mode but switching it to normal mode will get the menu Start Menu doesn't work to appear but nothing works Ie the program list won t expand Neither will network connections control panel etc even the programs shortcuts that normally appear on the left side of the menu are blacked out Anyone else having a similar problem Or anyone have a possible solution My system has been AdAwared amp SB SnD to be crystal clean i can post a HT log if you want but there s nothing much there I m trying to avoid an O S reinstall Anyways any help would be much appreciated cheers yt nbsp

A:Start Menu doesn't work

Try running a repair...but your probably headed to a reinstall. I've seen the dissappearing taskbar problem your describing but never as dramatic as what you describe. It sounds like a bad install (not your fault/bits fell in the wrong bucket) to me..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/start-menu-doesnt-work.352909/
Relevancy 104.92%

So I've tried to shutdown my PC 2 days ago with the shutdown key in the settings menu (or windows menu because I'm using Start8) and it doesn't work, same for restart, sleep and all that option, so what to do?

A:Shutdown/Restart from windows menu doesn't work

Try turning fast startup off: Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/21828-shutdown-restart-windows-menu-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 104.49%

For some odd reason when searching for documents of any kind by title or tag does not work in the start menu search bar.
I can search in explorer, but unless i copy and paste in the file path into the start menu, there will be no search results. Could it be that my documents are in my b drive not c? I have indexed all my files as well.
Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

A:Start Menu search doesn't work

Is there another user account on that PC? If so log into that one and see if it works in that account, if it does, there is a problem with the user account. If you do not have another user account go to Control Panel/User Accounts and create a new one with admin rights, log out of the current account and log into the new one you just made.

If the New user account works using Start Search, then migrate your old user account profile to the new one.
Delete the old corrupt user account after a few weeks using the new one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/start-menu-search-doesnt-work.915215/
Relevancy 103.2%

I ran CC cleaner amp that did not help I can only use the trackpad because the mouse will not respond to clicks the whole system feels wierd amp sluggish I can't do anything normally DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by chris at on - - Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT AV ESET NOD antivirus system On-access scanning enabled Updated E E D - - F doesn't menu work & disappears Start mouse - FB -D ACA F Start menu disappears & mouse doesn't work C Running Processes C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs svchost exe svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files TOSHIBA TouchPad TPTray exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C WINDOWS RTHDCPL EXE C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C Program Files ScanSoft OmniPageSE OpwareSE exe C Program Files Eset nod kui exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService ISUSPM exe C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat Acrotray exe C WINDOWS system igfxsrvc exe C Program Files Skype Phone Skype exe C WINDOWS BricoPacks Vista Inspirat RocketDock RocketDock exe C Program Files Chameleon Clock ChamClock exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Picasa PicasaMediaDetector exe C Documents and Settings chris Local Settings Application Data Google Update GoogleCrashHandler exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynToshiba exe C WINDOWS BricoPacks Vista Inspirat UberIcon UberIcon Manager exe C WINDOWS BricoPacks Vista Inspirat YzShadow YzShadow exe C Program Files Yahoo Widgets YahooWidgets exe svchost exe C WINDOWS system agrsmsvc exe C Program Files Skype Plugin Manager skypePM exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Eset nod krn exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Common Files Macrovision Shared FLEXnet Publisher FNPLicensingService exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Yahoo Widgets YahooWidgets exe C Program Files Yahoo Widgets YahooWidgets exe C WINDOWS system NOTEPAD EXE C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C WINDOWS system NOTEPAD EXE C Documents and Settings chris Desktop dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www google se uSearch Page hxxp www google com uSearch Bar hxxp www google com ie uDefault Search URL hxxp www google com ie uInternet Settings ProxyOverride local uSearchAssistant hxxp www google com ie uSearchURL Default hxxp www google com search q s BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper e f-c d - d -b d- b d be b - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelper dll BHO Adobe PDF Link Helper df c-e ad- -a -fa c ebdc - c program files common files adobe acrobat activex AcroIEHelperShim dll BHO Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper ae cd -e - f- - ee - c program files adobe acrobat acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper dbc -a - b-bc - c c c a - c program files java jre bin jp ssv dll BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl Class e e f - ce- c -bc -eabfe f c - c program files java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll TB Adobe PDF -d c - - fa - e eaac - c program files adobe acrobat acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll TB SYSTRAN Toolbar daa - def- a d- d - a a - mscoree dll TB Zend Studio - f- -a d-eab bd - c progra zend zendst toolbars ZENDIE DLL EB Adobe PDF ec be- - c -a -beb d a b - c program files adobe acrobat acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll uRun Skype quot c program files skype phone Skype exe quot nosplash minimized uRun RocketDock quot c windows bricopacks vista inspirat rocketdock RocketDock exe quot uRun HomeAlarm c program files chameleon clock ChamClock exe uRun Google Update quot c documents and settings chris local settings application data google update GoogleU... Read more

A:Start menu disappears & mouse doesn't work

Hello and welcome to Bleeping ComputerWe apologize for the delay in responding to your request for help. Here at Bleeping Computer we get overwhelmed at times, and we are trying our best to keep up. Please note that your topic was not intentionally overlooked. Our mission is to help everyone in need, but sometimes it takes just a little longer to get to every request for help. No one is ignored here.If you have since resolved the original problem you were having, we would appreciate you letting us know. If not please perform the following steps below so we can have a look at the current condition of your machine. If you have not done so, include a clear description of the problems you're having, along with any steps you may have performed so far.Upon completing the steps below another staff member will review and take the steps necessary with you to get your machine back in working order clean and free of malware.If you have already posted a DDS log, please do so again, as your situation may have changed.Use the 'Add Reply' and add the new log to this thread.Thanks and again sorry for the delay.We need to see some information about what is happening in your machine. Please perform the following scan:Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scrDDS.pifDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run.A small box will open, with an explaination about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running.Notepad will open with the results.Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Close the program window, and delete the program from your desktop.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run. After downloading the tool, disconnect from the internet and disable all antivirus protection. Run the scan, enable your A/V and reconnect to the internet. Information on A/V control HERE

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/270675/start-menu-disappears-mouse-doesnt-work/
Relevancy 103.2%

hi all

my start menu doesn't work. clicking on task bar items does not work. (wifi, notifications)
opening apps doesn't work. WIN + I or trying to open update from Win + R doesn't work (message "the app didn't open")
clicking the search doesn't work. Clicking the windows (to the right of search) works.
Thoughts?

A:Start menu doesn't work and apps won't open

Hi, an often reported issue- tho' yours has the added run box report.
As I don't know the history... as in 'did this ever work' 'is it a clean install or an upgrade' 'what did you do before this happened' etc I'll take a simple view.

I will assume you don't use disk imaging, else you would have restored an image you'd created prior to this happening. Highly recommended strategy to back up, preserve your PC and your sanity without tech help.

You could have conflicting 3rd party programs from an AV ovwards, so yuo could check whether these work
a. after clean boot
b. in safe mode

You could try the standard
chkdsk c: \F from an admin command prompt.
Then
sfc /scannow from the same.
Finally there is a DISM command you can run.

However, I would recommend you run chkdsk, then do an in place upgrade install, one of the really good things about Win 10.
This keeps most settings and all your progs.
(Note disk imaging can provide a much faster fix).
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

You can also search this forum, as there are many threads on this topic.
Good luck!

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/39609-start-menu-doesnt-work-apps-wont-open.html
Relevancy 103.2%

Turning the HomeGroup option on in the start menu:

+ clicking it:

= this:
Using the HomeGroup option in File Explorer = it works:
Has anyone else encountered this problem, or is it just me? If someone has encountered it, could you let me know how to fix it? I'd like to be able to go to HomeGroup from the start menu instead of File Explorer. Thanks in advance.

A:HomeGroup Start Menu Option Doesn't Work

Bump, still having the same issue.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/40462-homegroup-start-menu-option-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 103.2%

hi all

my start menu doesn't work. clicking on task bar items does not work. (wifi, notifications)
opening apps doesn't work. WIN + I or trying to open update from Win + R doesn't work (message "the app didn't open")
clicking the search doesn't work. Clicking the windows (to the right of search) works.
Thoughts?

A:Start menu doesn't work and apps won't open

Hi, an often reported issue- tho' yours has the added run box report.
As I don't know the history... as in 'did this ever work' 'is it a clean install or an upgrade' 'what did you do before this happened' etc I'll take a simple view.

I will assume you don't use disk imaging, else you would have restored an image you'd created prior to this happening. Highly recommended strategy to back up, preserve your PC and your sanity without tech help.

You could have conflicting 3rd party programs from an AV ovwards, so yuo could check whether these work
a. after clean boot
b. in safe mode

You could try the standard
chkdsk c: \F from an admin command prompt.
Then
sfc /scannow from the same.
Finally there is a DISM command you can run.

However, I would recommend you run chkdsk, then do an in place upgrade install, one of the really good things about Win 10.
This keeps most settings and all your progs.
(Note disk imaging can provide a much faster fix).
Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade - Windows 10 Forums

You can also search this forum, as there are many threads on this topic.
Good luck!

http://www.tenforums.com/performance-maintenance/39609-start-menu-doesnt-work-apps-wont-open.html
Relevancy 103.2%

Hello guys,

Does anyone know how to fix the "Computer" Link in the Start Menu? When I click on it nothing happens and when I try and click properties on it, it brings up this screen instead of Explorer:

A:Computer Link in Start Menu Doesn't Work.

That is the proper screen you get when you click properties.

You could try running a system file check.

In an elevated command prompt type sfc /scannow

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

In the meantime, just type co in search, then choose computer from the list.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/272596-computer-link-start-menu-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 103.2%

In Win XP (and other "modern" versions of Windows), if you pull up the the Start menu and then right-click on an entry, you get several options, one of which is "Explore", which should open an Explorer window on that part of the file system.

I'm just getting into Win XP and after installing various programs and Microsoft updates, I'm finding that the Explore option no longer works (it doesn't do anything). Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks...

-- jeff

A:Win XP right click on start menu, Explore doesn't work

Try right clicking on the start button itself..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-xp-right-click-on-start-menu-explore-doesnt-work.164573/
Relevancy 103.2%

My Start >> Documents menu doesn't work anymore, i.e. my recently-used documents don't show up on it at all. It stays empty no matter what. Same for recently used programs on the Programs menu. Windows XP Home SP2.

A:Start >> Documents Menu Doesn't Work Anymore

Have you checked your settings for the Taskbar and Start Menu?They may be set to not show these items and may explain why they do not show up in the Start Menu.Open up the Taskbar and Start Menu properties applet by doing one of the following:| right click the Taskbar >> select Properties |-OR-| Start >> Control Panel >> Taskbar and Start Menu |From the Taskbar and Start Menu properties applet, click the Start Menu tab. Verify that you the choice is selected for Start Menu (not Classic Start Menu) and click the Customize radio button. This will open the Customize Start Menu applet.The Customize Start Menu applet contains two tabs General and Advanced. On the General tab, in the middle of the applet should appear the Programs selection tool with up and down arrows to increment or decrement the number of programs to show, ensure that this is not set to 0. On the Advanced tab, at the bottom of the applet should appear Recent Documents, ensure that the check box is checked for List my most recently opened documents.Click OK to close the Customize Start Menu applet. Click Apply to apply any changes, then click OK to close the Taskbar and Start Menu properties applet.Open up 3-4 programs, and open up 3-4 documents from My Documents. Close the programs and close the documents. Click on your Start Menu and verify if there are any programs or documents which appear on the Start Menu and My Recent Documents lists respectively.If that does not work, there may have been registry settings that were changed to prevent the Start Menu -> All Programs links and My Recent Documents links from working. If you think this might be the case, refer to link below on how to reset the registry settings which control the Start Menu:http://windowsxp.mvps.org/AllPrograms.htmhttp://windowsxp.mvps.org/usershellfolders.htmHopefully that helps you out, good luck and happy hacking!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/111224/start-documents-menu-doesnt-work-anymore/
Relevancy 103.2%

This is really strange.. i have noticed for a few days that the search in the star menu isn't working... i shrugged this off the last few times because i didn't really need it(just being lazy trying to find a program)... but today... i typed run... and instead of finding run like normal it shows a few options "programs", "control panel", "documents", and "files" now these all have blank icons and when i click on programs(the obvious selection) i get a pop up from windows security that says:

"These files can't be opened

Your Internet Security settings prevented one or more files from being opened."
and in "show details"... "Programs"

Thanks for any help or suggestions in advance

Relevancy 102.34%

hi, I know there are many in the forum who have the same problem as mine. 

my computer was running fine last friday. I tried to start it on saturday, it says it can't startup and need to repair startup. I did run the repair but still can't startup. I tried to use system restore to earlier dates, it still can't startup. The computer has trojan virus before and I tried the anti-malware from internet to kill them. seems that it create more problem for my PC. I have some important files in the computer that I wish I have archived. 

wonder if any one can help. thx in advance.

A:can't start up computer-window7, repair doesn't work, restore doesn't work

I'll report this topic to appropriate helpers.
Hold on there...

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/493688/cant-start-up-computer-window7-repair-doesnt-work-restore-doesnt-work/
Relevancy 102.34%

Hi there I seem to have an odd problem which is certainly not very important but just a bit annoying For some time now it used to work in the beginning I had my computer I can t get the Right-Click Explore to work on the start menu items I use Windows XP Professional Version Service Pack on a lenovo T laptopIt works fine on the quot Start quot button as well as on the quot All Programs quot button in the start menu But if I go one more step like pointing on quot All Programs quot and then on quot Accessories quot when I right-click on it I get the following context menu -----OpenOpen All UsersExploreExplore All Users--------------------DeleteRename--------------------Sort by NamesProperties -----none of the first entries will work just nothing happens when the others do work fine As I said this is not very important and I live with it since quite a while but if I just could fix on start "Right-Click/Explore" items doesn't menu work it that would be great Any suggestion Thanks in advance for any help Tohan

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/176125/right-clickexplore-on-start-menu-items-doesnt-work/
Relevancy 100.62%

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad X41 tablet PC running Windows XP Professional. Yesterday I went to click on my Start button to shut down and it was non-responsive. No menus would open. I had to shut down via Ctrl Alt Del.

Today the Start button worked but in when I clicked on Shut Down, nothing happened. I had to again shut down via Ctrl Alt Del. This occurred 3 times.

I run Kasperksy Internet Security 7 and recently ran a Registry Mechanic scan, and believe my system to be free of adware, spyware, etc.

Any thoughts on how I might counteract this odd behavior would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

A:Windows XP Start button doesn't work

How long are you waiting after you click "shut down" before using ctrl+alt+del? Sometimes programs will be non responsive when Windows tries to shut them down and the system will stall for a bit. You might try typing "msconfig" in the run console and unchecking some of the programs that start up with your computer. I have a feeling you will find that there are allot that are active.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-xp-start-button-doesnt-work-227528.html
Relevancy 100.62%

More often than not the start button doesn't work. It happens when I log into my computer. It doesn't get any better from being logged in.

A:Start button in Windows 10 doesn't work

Hi, Just to be certain, are you referring to Windows 10 Start Menu button? If that's correct, try the following. Right click the Start Menu and select Command Prompt (Admin) and click 'Yes' to the uac prompt. In the command prompt window, type powershell and hit enter. Copy the following, paste it in to the command prompt and then hit enter. Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"} When this has completed, type exit, hit enter, then type exit and hit enter once again. Restart the notebook. Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/Start-button-in-Windows-10-doesn-t-work/td-p/5590675
Relevancy 100.62%

I installed an Windows Pro 8 to 8.1 Pro x64 on a desktop computer. Both were clean installations, no other software was installed. With Window 8.1 Pro, the start button worked for a day after all the updates, then booted the computer. Now, if I try to right
click on the Start button with the mouse; nothing happens. Thinking it was a virus, I used Windows Defender to search to the for a virus and nothing found. No other Windows updates to fix the problem! To me it just another glitch in Windows!

I updated a laptop at the same time with Windows 8 to 8.1 X64, not the Pro version. The laptop was a OEM version of Windows 8. The laptop works fine with Windows 8.1 after upgrading it.

A:My start button doesn't work in Windows Pro 8.1

Hi, 
Please try to copy WinX folder under C:\Users\Default\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows into C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows.
If it doesn't work, please run following command to repair system: 
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
If the issue persists, let's test the issue in New user account. 
If all these steps doesn't fix your issue, please capture the actions during this process by using Process Monitor:
Process Monitor v3.05
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx
How to use, please refer to this article:
Using Process Monitor to capture system events
http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/119038.aspx
Keep post.Kate Li
TechNet Community Support

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/86ab5451-ad10-4071-b998-63ac13903f80/my-start-button-doesnt-work-in-windows-pro-81?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 99.76%

I have an ASUS notebook running windows 7 64-bit. I am using the QuietOffice power profile, however the screensaver won't kick in no matter what I do, and the display does not turn off even though I set it to be after 5-minutes of inactivity. I don't know if there is something running in the background... I have turned off my usb wireless mouse, and nothing....

Any ideas?

THanks.

A:HELP: power option doesn't work - screen saver doesn't start!

This is another case of factory bloatware interfering - in this case a useless factory utility overriding Win7's superior built-in version.

Googling the Quiet Office feature of Asus there are multiple reported problems. Best to default to the Win7 built-in Power Options in Control Panel. Set up a Balanced Plan unless you're a gamer then use High Performance.

Here are other tips for cleaning up factory bloatware

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/144080-help-power-option-doesnt-work-screen-saver-doesnt-start.html
Relevancy 99.76%

I have a 4y old Sony VAIO (VGN-NS11J) that stopped working today morning after making a whirring noise

Repeated attempts to restart failed and after many attempts, I managed to get to the Startup Repair mode - after a long time, startup repair says it failed to automatically repair the problem

I managed to run system restore but after a while I got the following message: "System restore failed due to an unspecified error. The disk strucgture is corrupted and unreadable (0X80070571)

My laptop did not come with a Windows Vista CD/Recovery disk

My first priority is to recover a few files in the laptop - if I am able to do this, then I dont mind junking the laptop

Since this is an old laptop, I would prefer not to use an expensive professional to recover the data

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated!

Rgds

A:Sony VAIO running Vista doesn't start-up, system restore doesn't work

You may be able to retrieve your data by using Ubuntu. Post #3 in this topic provides instructions.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479918/sony-vaio-running-vista-doesnt-start-up-system-restore-doesnt-work/
Relevancy 99.76%

Cant get it to updateand when i use thr troubleshooternit doesnt work either Farbar Service Scanner Version - - Ran by Administrator doesn't doesn't troubleshooter and work 7 update Windows administrator on - - at Running from D Users Administrator Downloads Microsoft Windows Ultimate Service Pack X Boot Mode Normal Internet Services Connection Status Localhost is accessible LAN connected Google IP is accessible Google com is accessible Yahoo com is accessible Windows Firewall mpsdrv Service is not running Checking service configuration The start type of mpsdrv service is OK The ImagePath of mpsdrv service is OK MpsSvc Service is not running Checking service configuration The start type of MpsSvc service is set to Disabled The default start type is Auto The ImagePath of MpsSvc service is OK The ServiceDll of MpsSvc service is OK Firewall Disabled Policy System Restore SDRSVC Service is not running Checking service configuration Checking Start type ATTENTION gt Unable to open SDRSVC Windows 7 doesn't update and troubleshooter doesn't work registry key The service key does not exist Checking ImagePath ATTENTION gt Unable to open SDRSVC registry key The service key does not exist Checking ServiceDll ATTENTION gt Unable to open SDRSVC registry key The service key does not exist Windows 7 doesn't update and troubleshooter doesn't work System Restore Disabled Policy Action Center Windows Update Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy Windows Defender WinDefend Service is not running Checking service configuration Windows 7 doesn't update and troubleshooter doesn't work The start type of WinDefend service is set to Demand The default start type is Auto The ImagePath of WinDefend service is OK The ServiceDll of WinDefend service is OK Windows Defender Disabled Policy HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows Defender DisableAntiSpyware DWORD Other Services File Check D Windows system nsisvc dll gt MD is legit D Windows system Drivers nsiproxy sys gt MD is legit D Windows system dhcpcore dll gt MD is legit D Windows system Drivers afd sys - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation D B DA D A E EB A DD D Windows system Drivers tdx sys - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation FE A DFA C A E AE C AAB D Windows system Drivers tcpip sys gt File is digitally signed D Windows system dnsrslvr dll gt MD is legit D Windows system mpssvc dll gt MD is legit D Windows system bfe dll gt MD is legit D Windows system Drivers mpsdrv sys gt MD is legit D Windows system SDRSVC dll gt MD is legit D Windows system vssvc exe gt MD is legit D Windows system wscsvc dll gt MD is legit D Windows system wbem WMIsvc dll gt MD is legit D Windows system wuaueng dll gt File is digitally signed D Windows system qmgr dll gt MD is legit D Windows system es dll gt MD is legit D Windows system cryptsvc dll - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation CA BECEA DE ADDAD E A C D Program Files Windows Defender MpSvc dll - - - - - - A Microsoft Corporation CF F FAE DE AD EB D Windows system ipnathlp dll gt MD is legit D Windows system iphlpsvc dll gt MD is legit D Windows system svchost exe gt MD is legit D Windows system rpcss dll gt MD is legit End of log Edit Topic moved from Windows to the more appropriate forum due to FRST log Animal

A:Windows 7 doesn't update and troubleshooter doesn't work

Hello,

Please follow the instructions Here to run the System Update Readiness Tool. When the SURT finishes installing, copy (Ctrl + C) and paste (Ctrl + V) the contents of the SURT log into your next post please:C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.logC:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CheckSUR.persist.log

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561979/windows-7-doesnt-update-and-troubleshooter-doesnt-work/
Relevancy 99.33%

Ok so ill try and put this in as much detail as i can but here is what ive had trouble with all night My brother brought a laptop in for me to look at A Toshiba Satellite L D Part Number PSLT A- HDD Model Fujitsu MJA BH I could see straight away this wasn't going to be easy Firstly the loadup was fine until i got passed the options of bios then nothing except a little cursor in the top left corner blinking like it was about to load something nothing happens So i went and had a look at similar problems they mentioned about pulling the battery out and powering it to see what happens still nothing Then i went into bios to see if there were any issues also checking the boot order was right i reset them to default settings and saved it not register. start, to f8 fails Usb and work will Windows doesn't Once it had reset from that it came up with a new error which said PXE- Media test Windows will not start, Usb doesn't work and f8 fails to register. failed Then i tried using a Usb Multiboot with Yumi installed on it i decided to use Kaspersky because i have used that one before Windows will not start, Usb doesn't work and f8 fails to register. and i knew it would work but still no success the computer froze on the Toshiba load up screen but when i unplugged the usb it would work till the next screen with the little blinking line in the top left corner then do nothing I have also tried restoring the comp to factory settings by holding the button and pressing the power button once but all that comes up is HDD RECOVERY in the bottom left corner with no selections So it doesn't let me boot from usb it won't let me do any recovery and it won't go into safe mode im out of options i was wondering if there was something else i could do to fix this poor computer before just replacing something would appreciate some help

A:Windows will not start, Usb doesn't work and f8 fails to register.

Hi, welcome to the forums if you have a copy of the windows seven OS DVD change the bios order to boot cd rom first and boot with this in. Use the repair your computer option and run startup repair , if this fails then open a cmd prompt try a chkdsk c:/r at the x sources prompt.

The symptoms you describe indicate a failed HDD, may need to replace this, and reinstall, is there data on the hdd that you want to keep? The pxe media error indicates trying to boot from the network card.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-will-not-start-usb-doesnt-work-and-f8-fails-to-register-777106.html
Relevancy 99.33%

Hi So I'm going to try to be as specific as possible About a month ago I finally updated to Windows from Windows on a Sony Vaio laptop It seemed to work fine but I started getting an error every time Windows would start up or if I would awake the computer from Sleep mode The error was please insert disk into removable disk E I never had this error before Apparently this drive was my SD card and I've never even used that drive at all Other than being an annoyance though this error didn't seem to have any impact so I rolled with it for the time being figuring I could fix it later or just deal with it Well after about two weeks my computer froze up so I tried to restart and it wouldn't startup again I would turn it on and it would just go to a black screen with a white arrow and stop Sometimes it would take me to a black screen and say Operating System Not Found After several failed startup attempts Windows seemed to take me to some diagnostic screen and I went through several prompts following whatever advice Windows was giving me to fix the startup error After several failed attempts somehow miraculously I got it started again Quickly in fear of this happening again I Start, Work Doesn't Repair Windows Startup Won't decided to revert back to Windows hoping this would fix any problems I let Windows Won't Start, Startup Repair Doesn't Work it run over night and the next morning the computer was back to Windows as normal I was able to use the laptop as normal and there were no error messages It seemed everything was fine Well things were fine until I shut it down and tried to turn it back on Now Windows won't start up It takes me to a screen that says Launch Windows Normally or Launch Startup Repair Launch Windows normally doesn't work of course When I launch start-up repair it runs and says Startup Repair cannot fix this computer automatically I tried to do a System Restore but it says I have no restore points I tried to start windows from the last known good configuration and this doesn't work either Here are the specific Problem Details I get from Startup Repair Problem Event Name StartupRepairOffline Problem Signature Problem Signature Problem Signature unknown Problem Signature Problem Signature AutoFailover Problem Signature Problem Signature BadPatch OS Version Locale ID When I go under Diagnosis and Repair Details I do see a message that says A patch is preventing the system from starting Any help would be greatly appreciated I was smart enough to back up my most important files before I reverted back to Windows however I'd rather not wipe my laptop clean if I don't have to Thank you in advance

A:Windows Won't Start, Startup Repair Doesn't Work

Please run System File Checker

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Click on the Start orb and then type cmd in the Search programs and files box.

In the pane above the search box Programs will appear with cmd below it, right click on cmd and select Run as administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This will open the Elevated Command Prompt, it will look similar to the image below.

Copy and paste sfc /scannow in the command prompt, then press Enter to start the scan.  

If the scan finds no integrity  problems the scan will stop.  Type in exit, then press Enter to stop the scan.

When the scan is finished and if intergrity issues are found (corrupt files that couldn't be repaired), please do the following.

Click on the Start orb then copy and paste the following in the Search programs and files box.

findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt"

This will place a new icon on the desktop titled sfcdetails.  Double click on this icon to  
the CBS log, copy and paste the log in your topic.

If this fails to place the icon on your desktop run the command from the Command Prompt.  Use the instructions I provided at the start of this tutorial.

This log may be very large, if you have problems posting it try breaking it into smaller parts.  When you copy these parts you will highlight the section you are going to copy.  If you leave that section highlighted it will give you a quick reference for where you left off.  

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/614730/windows-wont-start-startup-repair-doesnt-work/
Relevancy 99.33%

Hello everyone Thanks for taking the time to read this post work... disc recovery won't start, doesn't Windows I have an Acer Predator G Computer Specs TB hard drive GB DDR memory AMD Phenom X quad-core processor DVD-Super Multi drive NVIDIA Geforce GTX ti Recently replaced with an ASUS GTX ti Windows Home Premium -bit LITEON PS- - Watt Power supply ADATA XPG SX GB SSD Added by myself Now I also have a picture of Windows won't start, recovery disc doesn't work... the motherboard I'm not sure of the brand The SSD was only not secured because of testing reasons when trying to figure out the problem So my problem began with me going away from home and putting the computer on restart before I left I use splashtop to access my computer when I'm not home During the following evening and night there was a lightning storm in town I got home the next day with the computer being off I tried to turn it on by pressing the power button and there was no reaction I checked the power and unplugged the computer and plugged it back in again I tried again and It powered up Everything was loading fine until it started to load the OS Windows Home Premium at that point the screen froze and the longer I waited the faster the CPU and Case Fan ran until it was what I assume at I turned the computer off and restarted it into BIOS CPU was stable at just about Degrees Celsius I left it to cool off for a bit and restarted it It froze again when loading Windows I made a Windows recovery disc from my Laptop Windows and tried running it same thing after it started to load the files from the disc the screen froze again I tried launching in Safe Mode drivers were loading and then a freeze at storport sys Every time I try safe mode It always freezes at storport sys I restarted and ran Memtest to check for faulty RAM after almost passes - hours no errors had showed up so I tried checking for faulty drives with SEAGATE's Tool DOS After another hours it checked out with no errors I'm going to try and run Linux on a live CD now I'm suspecting something is wrong with the Motherboard loading drivers But I'm not so that's why I'm wondering what you guys might think it could be And could the problem be solved if that's the case Or am I just going to have to buy new hardware I appreciate any help I can get Friendly Regards David

A:Windows won't start, recovery disc doesn't work...

I've seen this happen a few times with jumps in current (which may have came from your lightning storm). It's not the SSD/HDD, and in my case, it was the southbridge controller failed, which houses the SATA ports. Specifically, voltage regulators were overheating, and after 15-30 seconds of attempted use on the SATA ports, it would halt it's process.

Possibly the most irritating part of the whole thing was that I could idle a system or RAM process (BIOS/memtest/etc...) with no problem. It was once I tried to use any mass storage controller that I had no luck.

I've heard of ways around this, like rigging a case fan to hang perfectly over the regulators and run at full speed to keep them cooled, but that was ridiculous for me, I just replaced the board.

For fun, have you tried swapping your SSD with a spare drive (if you have one) and loading a clean install of Windows to rule out what I'm referring to? If you can get up and running with a test installation, it will help determine where the issue lies.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-wont-start-recovery-disc-doesnt-work-703822.html
Relevancy 99.33%

so i cant click the windows start button to get to tiles,nor use the charm to search.

i have had this happend before on another system.

ive read that it can be caused by an update but i havent downloaded nor installed an update.

my anti virus is avast but i do have malware antibytes installed so i can scan with that.

malware found nothing, i ended up having to restart explorer, but i want a perm fix.
is there an perm fix for it?

A:windows start button and charms doesn't work

Make sure that all Windows Updates are installed.
From and Command Prompt (Admin) type sfc /scannow
If all corrupt system files are not fixed type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Then run the sfc command again
It may appear to be frozen but let these command run their course.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/60675-windows-start-button-charms-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 99.33%

For the last month or so, every time I log off my account, the keyboard does not register at the Windows Log In screen. This makes it so I have to restart the computer and then it works fine.
There are three accounts on the computer, the casing has been half removed for the last 3 months, a DVD burner and driver recently installed 3 months ago and I am using a wireless off brand USB keyboard and mouse.
As for the second part, the computer requires several restarts to boot up, sometimes up to twenty minutes of turning on and off to boot up. Only started doing this a week ago.

A:My Keyboard doesn't work, and the computer turns on but doesn't start.

It sounds like something is wrong with your Windows XP drivers. Something like that happened to me while building my computer, and when I boot up the keyboard did not work because my copy of windows XP was bad. You could try reinstalling windows XP, and It might work better, but I dont have a definite answer to your problem.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/my-keyboard-doesnt-work-and-the-computer-turns-on-but-doesnt-start-381732.html
Relevancy 98.47%

I have an HP Pavilion dv - dx laptop I don't know what went wrong but I randomly have a amp quot Windows Error Recovery amp quot screen when i turn it on amp quot Windows Failed to Start A recent hardware software change Doesn't Failed Work!!!! Start & Startup Windows To Repair might be the cause amp quot and i can either choose amp quot Launch Startup Repair amp quot or amp quot Start Windows Normally amp quot BUT when i attempt Windows Failed To Start & Startup Repair Doesn't Work!!!! to start windows normally it goes back to the amp quot Windows Error Recovery amp quot Screen If i click amp quot Launch Startup Repair amp quot it doesn't do anything but stay on another screen and i've let it be on that screen for a whole day and nothing happens I've tried safe mode and again it goes back to the amp quot Windows Error Recovery amp quot screen I've tried all the debugging options and it goes back to the error screen When I shut it down and tapped F to enter the bios menu i Windows Failed To Start & Startup Repair Doesn't Work!!!! went under the diagnostic tab and ran both the Hard Drive Test and Memory Test Here are the results Windows Failed To Start & Startup Repair Doesn't Work!!!! lt br gt Primary Hard Drive Test- Hard Disk Full lt br gt Memory Test- Passed lt br gt But i have no idea what that means because my laptop is brand new and it has gb so the harddrive shouldnt be full I'm in need of help because I don't know what to do after looking through abunch of forums Please help me

A:Windows Failed To Start & Startup Repair Doesn't Work!!!!

Hi: If you can live with losing your files, etc, you can try a system recovery back to factory specs. Boot up the PC and tap the F11 key at the beginning of the HP welcome screen to launch the recovery manager. Follow the prompts to reset the PC to factory specs. That is probably your only choice at this juncture. Paul

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Windows-Failed-To-Start-amp-Startup-Repair-Doesn-t-Work/td-p/1722551
Relevancy 98.47%

Hello, I hope you guys can help me. I have A Dell Laptop with Windows 7.

Today my laptop stopped working. When I try to turn it on normally, it will go to request to either launch the start up repair or to try booting it up normally again. When I try to launch the start up repair it will state that it's loading, but then it will stick to the windows 7 blue screen and stay there, nothing will happen. I tried to see if I can launch the Recovery manager by pressing F8 while the dell logo appeared and selected the 'Recover your Computer' option but it gives the same windows 7 blue screen. It also wont work on Safe Mode.

I hope there is a solution for this, I do not have a recovery disk.

Thanks in advance.

A:Windows 7 will not boot, repair start up launch also doesn't work

Hi Welcome to the forum

i would try running the dell diagnostics. start computer start tapping F12 and run the tests on hard drive

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/358326-windows-7-will-not-boot-repair-start-up-launch-also-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Hi there!
A friend gave me his Acer notebook  running on Windows 7 because it stopped working hoping that I can fix it.
It fails to start, safe mode doesn't work, last known configuration doesn't work, system repair doesn't work, system restore doesn't work.

The computer is extremely slow.

The Windows Repair Problem SignatureProblem Event Name: StartupRepairOfflineProblem Signature 1: 6.1.7600.16385Problem Signature 2: 6.1.7600.16385Problem Signature 3: UnknownProblem Signature 4: 21200033Problem Signature 5: AutoFailoverProblem Signature 6: 4Problem Signature 7: NoRootCauseOS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1Locale ID: 1040

I'm pretty much in this situation
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/448339/

So, in the meantime I've used Farbar Recovery Scan Tool, so I'm attaching the log file hoping that it can help.

Thank you for now.
Cheers!

A:Windows fails to start. Safe mode doesn't work

Hi,
After some a few clean up tries, no changes all remain the same...here's the latest log.

Cheers!

Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST.txt) (x64) Version: 08-02-2015
Ran by SYSTEM on MININT-J1LFDSN on 11-02-2015 16:22:53
Running from H:\
Platform: Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 (X64) OS Language: Italiano (Italia)
Internet Explorer Version 11
Boot Mode: Recovery

The current controlset is ControlSet001
ATTENTION!:=====> If the system is bootable FRST must be run from normal or Safe mode to create a complete log.

Tutorial for Farbar Recovery Scan Tool: http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic/335081-frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool/

==================== Registry (Whitelisted) ==================

(If an entry is included in the fixlist, the registry item will be restored to default or removed. The file will not be moved.)

HKLM\...\Run: [Power Management] => C:\Program Files\Acer\Acer ePower Management\ePowerTray.exe [1831016 2011-08-02] (Acer Incorporated)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [BackupManagerTray] => C:\Program Files (x86)\NTI\Acer Backup Manager\BackupManagerTray.exe [297280 2011-04-23] (NTI Corporation)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [StartCCC] => C:\Program Files (x86)\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe [336384 2011-02-08] (Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [NUSB3MON] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Renesas Electronics\USB 3.0 Host Controller Driver\Application\nusb3mon.exe [113288 2010-11-16] (Renesas Electronics Corporation)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [ArcadeMovieService] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Acer\clear.fi\Movie\clear.fiMovieService.exe [177448 2011-05-09] (CyberLink Corp.)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [Adobe ARM] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe [959904 2013-11-21] (Adobe Systems Incorporated)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [EEventManager] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Epson Software\Event Manager\EEventManager.exe [979328 2010-10-12] (SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [MobileBroadband] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Vodafone\Vodafone Mobile Broadband\Bin\MobileBroadband.exe [408576 2011-04-19] (Vodafone)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [APSDaemon] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Apple Application Support\APSDaemon.exe [43848 2014-04-23] (Apple Inc.)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe [254336 2013-07-02] (Oracle Corporation)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [ApnTBMon] => C:\Program Files (x86)\AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\Updater\TBNotifier.exe [2039192 2014-11-24] (APN)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [NBAgent] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Nero\Nero BackItUp & Burn\Nero BackItUp\NBAgent.exe [1086760 2010-03-14] (Nero AG)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [iTunesHelper] => C:\Program Files (x86)\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe [152392 2014-05-15] (Apple Inc.)
HKLM-x32\...\Run: [QuickTime Task] => C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\qttask.exe [98304 2014-09-01] (Apple Computer, Inc.)
HKU\Andalu\...\Run: [EPLTarget\P0000000000000000] => C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\E_IATIHLE.EXE [283232 2012-02-28] (SEIKO EPSON CORPORATION)
HKU\Default\...\RunOnce: [ScrSav] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Acer\Screensaver\run_Acer.exe [154144 2010-07-29] ()
HKU\Default User\...\RunOnce: [ScrSav] => C:\Program Files (x86)\Acer\Screensaver\run_Acer.exe [154144 2010-07-29] ()

==================== Services (Whitelisted) =================

(If an entry is included in the fixlist, the service will be removed from the registry. The file will not be moved unless listed separately.)

S2 ABBYY.Licensing.FineReader.Sprint.9.0; C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ABBYY\FineReaderSprint\9.00\Licensing\NetworkLicenseServer.exe [759048 2009-05-14] (ABBYY)
S2 APNMCP; C:\Program Files (x86)\AskPartnerNetwork\Toolbar\apnmcp.exe [166296 2014-10-30] (APN LLC.)
S3 GamesAppIntegrationService; C:\Program Files (x86)\WildTangent Games\App\GamesAppIntegrationService.exe [227904 2014-01... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/566460/windows-fails-to-start-safe-mode-doesnt-work/
Relevancy 98.47%

I'm house-sitting for my friend while he is out of town and one day I came home and turned on his computer and It said that Windows had failed to start, this wasn't unusual; it had happened once or twice before. but, when I selected tried to run startup repair (whitch had worked last time) It just took me back to the same "windows has failed to start" screen. I don't want him to know that this happened, cause I'm afraid he'll think I did something to cause this, so I dont want to wipe it or anything like that. I don't want to spend any money taking it into a shop or anyhting but if it's my only choice I'll do it. Someone help !

A:Windows 7 fails to start, startup repair doesn't work

Just experienced a similar failure.
Windows repair failed - at least the 3 times i tried.
1) In another forum removing any memory card - even the dummy card -and reboot may solve the problem...??

2) My solution was the "Win 7 Repair disk" - not recovery disks. First I had to enter the bios and change the boot -order to get the laptop to boot from the disk.
The process was sloooow but finally i got a repair menu: fix start problems 2) restore ect.
I choose "start problems" - Again slowly the laptop went back to normal

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/windows-7-fails-to-start-startup-repair-doesnt-work-504757.html
Relevancy 98.47%

Last night I decided to update my Windows since it was highly recommended by Windows After about updates mostly security updates doesn't will resorting but Windows start I it am up; Recovery not XP work? Console to I turned off my computer This morning my computer could not start up it would go into a loop where it shows a black screen apologizing and saying that Windows was unable to start Windows XP will not start up; I am resorting to Recovery Console but it doesn't work? up successfully I am given boot options It looks like this We apologize for the inconveneince Windows did not start successfully etc Safe ModeSafe Mode with NetworkingSafe Mode with command promptLast known configurationStart Windows normallyI tried all options and none worked The reboot loop went on and on I tried to install a Recovery Console using my CD and followed the instructions here http support microsoft com kbid note while typing in the commands there were captions that said quot Windows was unable to recognize the command quot whenever i typed in commands such as quot c windows etcetcetc quot but never for quot copy c etc quot or quot delete c etc quot When it went to the procedure involving going into Safe Mode I was unable to My computer just kept rebooting

A:Windows XP will not start up; I am resorting to Recovery Console but it doesn't work?

Try changing the boot order of your bios setting and boot from CD to do a repair see if that works !

* Many computers out there are not configured to boot from the CDROM. If you cannot boot from the CDROM, this is probably due to the boot order of your computer being incorrect for CDROM booting.

You have two options:

1.) You can change this in the BIOS during POST, which is usually the very first screen displayed by your computer when you turn it on.

2.) Many newer computers have a selectable boot menu by tapping F8, F10 OR F12 right during/after the first POST screen. This will allow you to temporarily boot from a CDROM.
To enter your BIOS, most users here will press the DEL key.

Most users with Dell, Gateway, Sony & HP systems will press F2.

Many Toshiba laptops are F2 or require you hold the ESC key when you turn the system on. Your notebook will report an error and prompt to press F1 to enter setup. Do exactly that.

Compaq users will usually have to press F10.

IBM typically uses F1 or F2.

Other brands may have different keys to press to enter setup, but F1, F2, Del, Tab and CTRL+S or CTRL + ALT + S are the most common ones I'm familiar with. Often, the BIOS will display what button to press to "enter setup" during POST.
When you enter the BIOS setup, you need to change the boot order. The CDROM should be setup before the Hard Drive. Each BIOS is different !

Once changed then start a re-install from there !

Good Luck hope this helps !

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/283123/windows-xp-will-not-start-up;-i-am-resorting-to-recovery-console-but-it-doesnt-work/
Relevancy 98.47%

So there I am sitting on my computer typing up an English assignment with AVG running a test on my computer there was a Trojan in the list but I wanted to wait until it finished scanning everything So suddenly the computer freezes I try restarting but it goes to a black screen with my mouse visible and then gets stuck at the quot welcome quot windows screen I immediately got on my laptop and started searching for possible solutions so I came upon the Windows XP Recovery Console I put in my xp cd got recovery running access my drive and started the recovery process It got stuck at and now I honestly don t know what options I have left without having to format everything and lose a ton if important Word Files My comp OS is Windows XP if that s any help Thank you for reading my post and I m looking forward to a response Edit trying Recovery again it appears that it was just working very slowly so I ve mistaken it for a problem It s at atm What can I to solve my issue once the recovery process is finished nbsp

A:Computer Won't Start Due to Trojan; Windows Recovery doesn't work

Recovery is finished, Do I just start windows normally again or what?

edit : restarted computer after it finished recovery, stuck at black screen still...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-wont-start-due-to-trojan-windows-recovery-doesnt-work.754875/
Relevancy 98.04%

So I changed my theme in colors to the dark theme I also in-toggled the three toggles transparency show color on start taskbar and show color on title bar For other windows that worked fine For example the Settings window is full black However for some reason my taskbar and start menu are NOT Anniversary menu doesn't make Update dark Windows and start taskbar black? the theme 10 my Why black They are a dark gray I restarted my system thinking that perhaps it needed to be restarted to fully implement the change but no luck the start menu taskbar and notifications windows are still a dark gray very clearly not black especially when viewed beside a window that has fully implemented the dark theme The preview window above the color swatches clearly shows that my start menu and taskbar SHOULD be completely black but they aren't I've seen screenshots from articles on the dark theme update and they showed Why doesn't the Windows 10 Anniversary Update dark theme make my taskbar and start menu black? a black start menu taskbar and notification area Any ideas on why this would be the case

A:Why doesn't the Windows 10 Anniversary Update dark theme make my taskbar and start menu black?

what have you set for transparency? I think it should be off

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/435572-why-doesnt-windows-10-anniversary-update-dark-theme-make-my-taskbar-start-menu-black.html
Relevancy 92.45%

I am having serious issues with a laptop I ve recently acquired Studio Windows SERIOUS Plays Doesn't Invisibly Dell Has Work. 1558 IE Repair Problems. I Dell Studio 1558 Has SERIOUS Problems. Windows Repair Doesn't Work. IE Plays Invisibly cannot get the Start Up Repair to work at all It either goes back to the selection option for quot Repair Your PC quot or quot Start Windows Normally quot or loads straight into Windows after being selected and Internet Explorer and annoying ads run invisibly in the background Dell Studio 1558 Has SERIOUS Problems. Windows Repair Doesn't Work. IE Plays Invisibly I have a HJT log available Would LOVE to get some help sorting this thing out as it s a pretty good system just seems Loaded down with viruses and SAS MBAM and Avira say there s nothing there Here is the HJT logfile Any help would be GREATLY Dell Studio 1558 Has SERIOUS Problems. Windows Repair Doesn't Work. IE Plays Invisibly appreciated Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Program Files x Common Files PC Tools sMonitor SSDMonitor exe C Program Files x Avira AntiVir Desktop avgnt exe C Program Files x Trend Micro HiJackThis HiJackThis exe C Program Files x Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Windows SysWOW DllHost exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO FCTBPos Pos - F D -D E -F B - E-F A F - C Program Files x SocialRibbons LP Toolbar dll O - BHO Canon Easy-WebPrint EX BHO - D AD-BFFF- F -BF B-A C FED - C Program Files x Canon Easy-WebPrint EX ewpexbho dll O - BHO no name - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - no file O - BHO Search Helper - EBF - F- bff-A F-B E AAC B - C Program Files x Microsoft Search Enhancement Pack Search Helper SearchHelper dll O - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files x Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files x Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO DCA - B FC- - -A CB-C A A A EEC - C Program Files x Common Files FreeCause DCA dca-bho dll O - BHO FCTBPos Pos - BFE B CB- F - A - - D B F - C Program Files x Dogpile Bundle Toolbar Toolbar dll O - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live Toolbar Helper - E A DC - - A - EA-DC EC ACF - C Program Files x Windows Live Toolbar wltcore dll O - Toolbar amp Windows Live Toolbar - FA EF- D- D - B F- A D - C Program Files x Windows Live Toolbar wltcore dll O - Toolbar Canon Easy-WebPrint EX - D - C F- -BAB - A F C C F - C Program Files x Canon Easy-WebPrint EX ewpexhlp dll O - Toolbar Dogpile Bundle Toolbar - C BDEB - - C -BD -A CCD A - C Program Files x Dogpile Bundle Toolbar Toolbar dll O - HKLM Run SSDMonitor C Program Files x Common Files PC Tools sMonitor SSDMonitor exe O - HKLM Run avgnt quot C Program Files x Avira AntiVir Desktop avgnt exe quot min O - HKLM RunOnce Launcher C Program Files x Dell DataSafe Local Backup Components scheduler Launcher exe O - DEFAULT User Startup Dell Dock First Run lnk C Program Files Dell DellDock DellDock exe User Default user O - Extra button Blog This - C - CB - a-A C -D FCDDC D - C Program Files x Windows Live Writer WriterBrowserExtension dll O - Extra Tools menuitem amp Blog This in Windows Live Writer - C - CB - a-A C -D FCDDC D - C Program Files x Windows Live Writer WriterBrowserExtension dll O - Options group ACCELERATED GRAPHICS Accelerated graphics O - DPF E F FC-BD - CBA-B A- AF D SysInfo Class - http content system... Read more

A:Dell Studio 1558 Has SERIOUS Problems. Windows Repair Doesn't Work. IE Plays Invisibly

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps.===HijackThis is not able to provide accurate information for 64 bit systems.In your case we need to see a DDS Log.I would remove HijackThis using the Add/Remove Programs list.Please download and run this DDS Scanning Tool. Nothing will be deleted. It will just give me some additional information about your system.Download DDS by sUBs from one of the following links if you no longer have it available. Save it to your desktop.DDS.scr DDS.pifDDS.COMDouble click on the DDS icon, allow it to run. A small box will open, with an explanation about the tool. No input is needed, the scan is running. Notepad will open with the results. Follow the instructions that pop up for posting the results.Please note: You may have to disable any script protection running if the scan fails to run.Please just paste the contents of the DDS.txt log in your next post. DO NOT attach the log.===Third party programs if not up to date can be an open door for an infection.Please run this security check for my review.Download Security Check by screen317 from here.Save it to your Desktop.Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.===Please post the logs for my review.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/456622/dell-studio-1558-has-serious-problems-windows-repair-doesnt-work-ie-plays-invisibly/
Relevancy 89.44%

I have four computers running Win10. On two of them the windows "Start" button on the task bar doesn't work. So I can't get to Settings or Apps. I can right click on the Start button and get the "right-click menu". All of the other task bar buttons work.

What's going on with this? It used to work. For a while it didn't work on my laptop, now that is working but on two other desktop computers it doesn't work. All computers have same Win10 version and latest updates (although hardware differs some between them).

Can I add the "Settings" and "All Apps" shortcut I would normally get left-clicking on the Start button to the Start button's "right-click menu"?

A:The Windows "Start" button on taskbar doesn't work with left-click

Hey CountryBumkin-

See if there's anything in HERE that might offer some help.
b1rd

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/37535-windows-start-button-taskbar-doesnt-work-left-click.html
Relevancy 88.58%

Anyone else had it not work. Did the reg from Brinks tute, did it with TweakIE9, did it manually. restored to default and did it all again. The reg key is there and set to 1, but the menu bar never moves.

Attachment 143652

It's not a huge deal, but I've always had a way to get it on top. Glad Opera is my default.

A Guy

A:IE 9 Menu on top doesn't work

Hello Bill,

It appears that his no longer works in the final RTM Internet Explorer 9 version. It did work in the IE9 RC and Beta vesions though.

Internet Explorer Menu Bar - Always on Top - Vista Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/150646-ie-9-menu-top-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 88.15%

Help my windows 7 laptop just keeps rebooting and i cant get to safe mode or recovery what should i do ?

A:system recovery doesn't work and safe mode doesn't work and just keeps reboting

System manufacturer and model?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/631274/system-recovery-doesnt-work-and-safe-mode-doesnt-work-and-just-keeps-reboting/
Relevancy 87.72%

Most of the time, my context menu key works great when something calls for a "right-click", but it doesn't work for everything, like for an icon in the system tray, so I need a program to let me do this.

In case your wondering, I ditched my two-button+wheel mouse for a one-button mouse. I have Cerebral Palsy, and a one-button mouse works better for me.

A:My context menu key doesn't work for everything.

Sometimes I get the same thing, but it mostly happens inside Firefox.

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/55878-my-context-menu-key-doesnt-work-everything.html
Relevancy 87.72%

Hello, i have a problem with my context menu, it doesnt show up on my Decstop, Folders, Files, basically i did something wrong with my Regedit options and i dont know how to restore it back to default.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/20a47928-d111-4ee9-8c53-3d4b4fd293dd/windows-7-context-menu-doesnt-appear?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 86.86%

After running an anti-malware scan with Spyware Terminator and having it remove some spyware, I have lost all my right-click (context) menus, and I can't get them back unless I perform a System Restore operation (which, incidentally, also brings back the spyware ).

What can I do to bring back my right-click menus safely?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/right-click-menu-doesnt-work-anymore.497454/
Relevancy 86.86%

My laptop povilliondv5 keeps restarting, message appear press the esc key for start the menu.I already press but still beeping.Pls tell me how?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Re-Press-ESC-Key-for-Startup-Menu-ESC-key-doesn-t-work/td-p/5613111
Relevancy 86.86%

I have noticed when I restart my computer or bring it out of hibernate the computer will show the HP logo and a message saying press ESC key for Startup menu.  I press the ESC key and nothing happens.  If I hold it, the computer beeps.  My work around for this is to turn off the computer and turn it on.  My laptop cold boots fine.  I have a HP Pavilion DV6 running Windows 7, 64-bit.  Intel Core i3 processor.  I have looked at  other posts regarding this topic but none of them mentioned if the computer could cold boot.  I inferred from some posts that the computer was not starting at all.   I only experience the problem after hibernating or restarting.  

A:Press ESC Key for Startup Menu - ESC key doesn't work

Hi, so what happens if you do not press the ESC key? Does the unit boot into WIndows?the message is normal during a boot - hitting esc allows you to get to diagnostic functions. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Press-ESC-Key-for-Startup-Menu-ESC-key-doesn-t-work/td-p/1188279
Relevancy 86%

My lap top doesn't want to shut down through start menue. Whenever I try to shut it down it  puts it self into a non responding mode. And the only way I can shut it down is by pressing the On off button. Please help me how to solve this issue. Thank you in advance, Dasa

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/HP-lap-top-doesn-t-want-to-shut-down-through-start-menu/td-p/5615572
Relevancy 86%

I installed vista transformation pack 8.01 and the vista menu bar (bottem) bar is still xp. I went to screensaver options, and i found out, it the display says the bar is vista.... help plz.

A:Vista Transformation pack menu bar doesn't work

Bump!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-transformation-pack-menu-bar-doesnt-work.755009/
Relevancy 85.57%

We
distribute four shortcuts via GPO
in %AppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs.
They all start the same program, but from a
different folder. The problem is that, since
Windows 8 tiles, if you look in
Start menu, all applications,
you only see one shortcut and not four.
If I copy the .exe three times
and each shortcut so that each shortcut
uses a different .exe I see four
shortcuts. What should I do to get
four shortcuts, but with the
same folder/file?

ps.: this issue is in Windows 8, 8.1 and 10

With Kind Regards, F. van 't Hoff

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5ebe9b7a-c116-4c94-ab9f-07cf2478dc88/windows-apps-with-same-target-doesnt-appear-in-tiles-menu?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 85.57%

see attachment pls Code Diagnostic Report ----------------------------------------- Windows Validation Data-- gt Validation Code Cached Online Validation Code x Windows Product Key - -GJY -VJBQ -HYRR Windows Product Key Hash W nm F UPXrCkY xUhXb g Windows Product ID -OEM- - Windows Product ID Type Windows License Type OEM SLP Windows OS version ID C - DE - D - E - EC F AF F Is Admin Yes TestCab x LegitcheckControl ActiveX N A hr x Signed By N A hr x Product Name Windows Ultimate Architecture x Build lab win sp gdr - TTS Error Validation Diagnostic Resolution Status N A Vista WgaER Data-- gt ThreatID s N A hr x Version N A hr x Windows XP Notifications Data-- gt Cached Result N A hr x File Exists No Version N A hr x WgaTray exe Signed By N A hr x WgaLogon dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Notifications Data-- gt Cached Result N A hr x correctly Windows doesn't Update display Menu Version N A hr x OGAExec exe Signed By N A hr x OGAAddin dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Data-- gt Office Status N A OGA Version N A x Signed By N A hr x Office Diagnostics D FF Windows Update Menu doesn't display correctly - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - Browser Data-- gt Proxy settings N A User Agent Mozilla compatible MSIE Win Default Browser C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Download signed ActiveX controls Prompt Download unsigned ActiveX controls Disabled Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins Allowed Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe Disabled Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control Disabled Active scripting Allowed Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting Allowed File Scan Data-- gt Other data-- gt Office Details lt GenuineResults gt lt MachineData gt lt Windows Update Menu doesn't display correctly UGUID gt C - DE - D - E - EC F AF F lt UGUID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt OS gt lt OS gt lt Architecture gt x lt Architecture gt lt PKey gt - - - -HYRR lt PKey gt lt PID gt -OEM- - lt PID gt lt PIDType gt lt PIDType gt lt SID gt S- - - - - - lt SID gt lt SYSTEM gt lt Manufacturer gt MSI lt Manufacturer gt lt Model gt MS- lt Model gt lt SYSTEM gt lt BIOS gt lt Manufacturer Windows Update Menu doesn't display correctly gt American Megatrends Inc lt Manufacturer gt lt Version gt V lt Version gt lt SMBIOSVersion major quot quot minor quot quot gt lt Date gt lt Date gt lt BIOS gt lt HWID gt FE lt HWID gt lt UserLCID gt lt UserLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt TimeZone gt China Standard Time GMT lt TimeZone gt lt iJoin gt lt iJoin gt lt SBID gt lt stat gt lt stat gt lt msppid gt lt msppid gt lt name gt lt name gt lt model gt lt model gt lt SBID gt lt OEM gt lt OEMID gt ACRSYS lt OEMID gt lt OEMTableID gt ACRPRDCT lt OEMTableID gt lt OEM gt lt GANotification gt lt MachineData gt lt Software gt lt Office gt lt Result gt lt Result gt lt Products gt lt Applications gt lt Office gt lt Software gt lt GenuineResults gt Spsys log Content x Licensing Data-- gt Software licensing service version Name Windows R Ultimate edition Description Windows Operating System - Windows R OEM SLP channel Activation ID cfd - a - af -af -ff d b b c Application ID c -d - d - e-d ec f f Extended PID - - - - - - - Installation ID Processor Certificate URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkID Machine Certificate URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkID Use License URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkID Product Key Certificate URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkID Partial Product Key HYRR License Status Licensed Remaining Windows rearm count Trusted time AM Windows Activation Technologies-- gt HrOffline x HrOnline x HealthStatus x Event Time Stamp ActiveX Registered Version Admin Service Registered Version HealthStatus Bitmask Output HWID Data-- gt HWID Hash Current LgAAAAEAAgABAAEAAAACAAAAAQABAAEAln HMIWEsJuYFpCaPgUKl GXMcucw OEM Activation Data-- gt N A OEM Activation Data-- gt BIOS valid for OA yes Windows marker version x OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent yes BIOS Information AC... Read more

A:Windows Update Menu doesn't display correctly

The easiest thing is to try the MS Fixits in order. If the 1st one resolve the issue, then you don't need to run the 2nd one.

[Run Now]: Automatically diagnose and repair Windows Update issues that Windows Update doesn?t work or fails because Windows Update is broken or disabled.

[[Run Now]: Diagnose and fix Windows security settings for IE, Windows firewall, group policy, Registry, UAC; check Windows Update and antivirus software status.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/307463-windows-update-menu-doesnt-display-correctly.html
Relevancy 85.14%

I cannot get Windows Media Encoder to home, Encoder work at does work Windows at Media doesn't work at all at home but I have no problems with it at work so I Windows Media Encoder doesn't work at home, does at work know I m not trying to do something with it that it can t handle At home every time I try to convert either an AVI or a VOB to WMV either using the wizard or the custom settings it lets me get through it all and then when it starts Windows Media Encoder doesn't work at home, does at work trying to encode it throws up the message quot Windows Media Encoder has encountered a problem and needs to close We are sorry for the inconvenience quot It never gives me any more information than this just crashes and closes I ve tried repairing it through the control panel as well as completely uninstalling it and reinstalling it but it hasn t helped At home I m running Windows XP Media Center At work where I ve never had it crash I m running Windows XP Professional Is there something in Media Center that causes it to crash Is there any patch I can download or thing I can do to get it to work on my home computer Thanks for your help nbsp

A:Windows Media Encoder doesn't work at home, does at work

I'm currently having the same problem . I open the .vob file set the output folder , settings etc etc . just as it was about to start converting , WME just stops and crashes . I use windows xp home edition so if your company's xp professional can make it work im thinking it is something in the professional edition which allows it to work not something in our edition that doesnt allow it to work. Are there any alternatives for encoding a video? i dont have much cash right now so i was hoping i might find some freeware alternatives . thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-media-encoder-doesnt-work-at-home-does-at-work.582955/
Relevancy 85.14%

Hi, my name's Pedro and I'm using Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 14332.
I have a laptop Lenovo Yoga 11s, Intel I5 3339Y, 8GB, Intel HD Graphics 4000 (last driver) and 128GB SSD card.

In the last build (14328), after a good install and a normal work short period, the All Apps in Start Menu has disappeared. It doesn't appears in Start Menu anymore since then.
I've installed the new build (14332) hoping that this could be solved, but that doesn't happens. I've changed the video driver but that did not work either.

So I'm asking here if anybody has some information about this that could help me to solve it.

Thanx in advance

A:All Apps doesn't appears in Start Menu

I do not understand your question.

Since 14238, theete is no longer an "all apps" link. All Apps are just shown now.

http://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/48623-all-apps-doesnt-appears-start-menu.html
Relevancy 84.71%

So my AVG's right-click "Scan with AVG Free" menu option doesn't work anymore. I click it, and now nothing happens. How can I fix it?

AVG 7.5
Windows Vista Ultimate

A:AVG 7.5 context menu scan doesn't work in Vista Ultimate

Bump

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/avg-7-5-context-menu-scan-doesnt-work-in-vista-ultimate.594510/
Relevancy 84.71%

Hello everyone, I would like to address a problem I ran into while trying to restore my Dell XPS M1330 to factory settings. When I boot into advanced boot menu by pressing f8 (I have tried ctrl+f11 and it doesn't work) I press enter on the "Repair Your Computer" option however, when doing so, it only boots up windows like it would normally. I'm not sure at all what the problem is and I'm kind of new to this. Does anyone know what to do? Thank You so much in advanced!

A:Advanced Boot Menu: Repair Your Computer Doesn't Work

Post HERE and ask Peter (Ex_Brit) to send you the link to the versions of Vista you need, 32 or 64. Include your E-mail address mucked up, like abc at xyz DOT com then edit your post and remove it as soon as you receive the link.

The ISO Peter provides has both SP1 and SP2 applied which can save a lot of time. Otherwise, follow this tutorial: Vista ISO - Download and Create Installation DVD or USB. You then need to create the ISO which will not have SP1 or SP2 included.

Pick up this Tutorial: How to Download a Vista ISO and Create an Installation DVD or USB here:

STEP THREE
To Create Vista Installation DVD or USB Flash Drive with ISO File

then do a Clean Install of Vista as described here: Clean Install with a Full Version of Vista

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/337323-advanced-boot-menu-repair-your-computer-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Can get the menu bar up with the file edit view favorites tools help
windows 7 I no you go to the Tools on the toolbar and the dropdown box shows toolbars and you go there and you should see menu bar but it is not there. Googled it and it says the same thing

To maximize website viewing, the File menu may be hidden by default. Most menu options can be accessed from the toolbar. You can make the Menu Bar (File, Edit, View, Etc.) appear by clicking the Tools menu, located near the upper right of the screen, and then Toolbars and then Menu Bar

Can someone help me to get it back? It is a friends computer and I am cleaning it for him the regular stuff cookies history temps and ran Malware bytes it caught one item but he wants the menu bar back can you help?

A:Solved: windows 7 no menu bar and it doesn't show up in the tools dropdown box under

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-7-no-menu-bar-and-it-doesnt-show-up-in-the-tools-dropdown-box-under.962060/
Relevancy 84.71%

I upgraded my T61, Type 8897, to WIndows 10 from WIndows 7 Home Premium x64, with relative ease and patience.  I never could get Windows 7 to update so I took the plunge and am overall happy.  The only problem I've got is the hard wired LAN connection doesn't function.  If I go to Device Manager, I see the Network adapters are Intel 8256MM Gigabit and Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN.  Both adapters are listed as functioning properly. WiFi works but when I plug in a LAN cable and shut off the wireless then I get an error message "No internet access"  Troubleshooter's result is "Local Area Connection" doesn't have a valid IP configuration   Not fixed.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T61-and-prior-T-series/WIndows-10-LAN-doesn-t-work/td-p/2196520
Relevancy 84.71%

I had been using the Windows key to switch back and forth from Metro to desktop. When I am in Metro, pressing it does nothing, but it works everywhere else. I simply click on the desktop icon, so it's no big deal, but is there a solution?

A:My Windows Key doesn't work

Hello Vince,

It works, but the Windows key only takes you to the "Start" menu.

If you want to go to the desktop, then you would need to press the Windows + D keys instead.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-d...shortcuts.html

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/5941-my-windows-key-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hey there I have a huuge problem my windows doest start I cant even start it in safe mode the thing that really botters me is that I formated all of my disks and everytime I start my pc this strange letters appear in my screen( ok I realized I cant post links but anyone that wants to see the photo of my screen plz send me a message) I dont know if its a virus or something and if it is where the hell is it i formated everything and I also tried to solve it with ubuntu even with live CD but my screen turns black with blue stripes plz help me I miss my pc

A:Windows 7 doesn't work

Juampiep said:

I formated all of my disks and everytime I start my pc this strange letters appear in my screenClick to expand...

You did actually re-install Windows 7 after formatting the hard disks yeah?

Your post isn't very clear, it would help those that can help you to know more. Why did you format it to begin with? What exactly did you do once you formatted it?

The more complete the information the easier it is for a member to provide you with assistance.

P.S. If you had formatted the hard disks during Windows 7 install, you wouldn't have any virus issues if it was a genuine disk.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/windows-7-doesnt-work.157089/
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi guys Im Stelios , new here, I'm having a situation here with my pc regarding a Windows shortcut, the one in the title. All default windows shortcuts work fine ,all of them but the win +x ... My system is a desktop Windows 7 64bit and on my searching around the net , I found out that Windows Mobility Center is by default deactivated on desktops, on the other hand I found and correctly use these instructions. Now I'm able to use Windows Mobility Center but without the use of that specific shortcut. Whenever I try the shorcut, that known ''bing'' sounds and then nothing. I also tried this and this. please help.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-key-x-doesnt-work.1148468/
Relevancy 84.71%

Okay here's the thing, my computer worked fine and all but one day i turned the computer off and now i can't get in to windows.. let me explain

When i start my computer everything works fine until the windows logo shows up it's loading but never finishes. after a while it gets BSOD for like a millisecond then restarts and when that happens it says ''Starting Automatic Repair'' and it loads up the thing is i can't see anything except my mouse so i can't do anything.

Things i've tried:
-Removing other potencial boot devices (USB, CD's etc.)
-Removing Graphics card.
-Changed the boot order.
-Install Win XP With Disc (doesn't work since windows don't boot up)

PLEASE HELP ME AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

A:Windows 8 Doesn't work! Please Help!

Can you boot into safe mode? If so, boot into Advanced Boot Options - Windows 7 Help Forums > Safe Mode with networking and post it following the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) Posting Instructions .

http://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/23642-windows-8-doesnt-work-please-help.html
Relevancy 84.71%

turn on my computer and goes to the menu with safe mode and other options. When i click any of the options it seems like it starts windows but then it goes back to the same menu. what can i do?

A:windows doesn't work...again

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive, and then restart the computer. Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.Type: chkdsk /rIt's important to have a space before the "/".To exit the Recovery Console and restart the computer, type exit at the command prompt, and then press ENTER.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/234697/windows-doesnt-workagain/
Relevancy 84.28%

I have my Dell Recover Media and it is for Windows 8 , however I upgraded to Windows 10 and my keyboard stopped working...I am trying to reset the computer with the Media Recovery Disk and it is not recognizing the CD 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19988533
Relevancy 84.28%

I am trying to use my CD-ROM drive and it doesn't work here are the list of things I have tried

Uninstalled and reinstalled the cd-rom driver it is a Matbleepa UJ-840D CD-ROM/DVD/CD-RW in my HP laptop (Didn't work)

Read stuff about code 39 and removed in the registry edit screen Upperfilters, Upperfilters.bak, Lowerfilters, Lowerfilters.bak and rebooted (Didn't work)

Removed itunes from computer (didn't solve the issue with cd-rom player)

Went back to a system restore point that was before the last time I used the CD-rom player and it worked and that (didn't work as well)

Read a lot of different posts about code 39 and nothing is given after the above steps are taken if it still won't work except to reformat which I would prefer not to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:CD-ROM doesn't work, code 39 error, tried many things still doesn't work

1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.or...2. Delete Upper & Lower Filters http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982116Restart computer.or...3. Download, and run Restore Missing CD Drive patchDouble click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.Accept registry merge.Restart computer.or...4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.You'll see two items:- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/443264/cd-rom-doesnt-work-code-39-error-tried-many-things-still-doesnt-work/
Relevancy 84.28%

ok so i am currently on my laptop but my desktop computer is doing terrible. it shows the background but nothing else. not start menu or icons now most people say go to task manager but mine is disabled. and might say go to run and all that to enable it but i cant access run either. any help would be greatly appreciated

Relevancy 84.28%

Untill now Windows 7 has been my system of choice, but since i've upgraded from 7057 to 7068 (i've always made upgrades and always went superb) my start menu doesn't show up, the shortcuts are all intact in All users and current user ( "%programdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu" and "%appdata%\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu").

1- I have already taken ownership of all shortcuts in those folders (my account is an administrator account) and set full permissions.
2- I have made a new user account to check if using this account it solved the problem.
3- Changed location of start menu in registry. HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

No success.

The search start menu function is working (i.e. it manages to find the hidden shortcuts in those folders)

Basically the system is working very well (+/- 1 week uptime), only this "small" problem... Any ideas?

A:Start Menu doesn't show after upgrade to 7068

Hello JJmourajr, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Usually a clean install is recommended instead since Windows 7 is still in the testing phases to avoid potential issues with remnants from the previous OS installation. However, you might see if doing a repair install may be able to fix this for you.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/6507-start-menu-doesnt-show-after-upgrade-7068-a.html
Relevancy 84.28%

My desktop started having icon issues, so I did a little reading up and saw that it could help by deleting the iconcache.db file. I did so, and now my icons are completely gone. I can still see the text under the icons and can still access the programs, however they are running slower than normal.

Also, on a related note, nothing happens when I click the start menu button.

I am running Windows 7 Home Pro 64 bit. I have tried all the fixes to no avail, even launched in safe mode. Here is my video explaining my issue.

Thanks All!

Icon cache issue - YouTube

A:W7 Iconcache doesn't exist, won't rebuild, no start menu, need help

Hi davidgbayard, welcome to 7F!

Try: Icon Cache - Rebuild
The start button may be related to you deleting the iconcache.db file its an icon too.

I will look around to see if there is a correlation between the two.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/204013-w7-iconcache-doesnt-exist-wont-rebuild-no-start-menu-need-help.html
Relevancy 84.28%

When I go to my start menu just recently, my most used "favorite" programs don't show up anymore.I tried restarting and looking at techguy forums but what they were saying didn't helpThis is what it looks like:Not my screen shot but that's what it looks like.Thanks

A:Start Menu "Favorite programs" doesn't show

Right click the taskbar at the bottom of your screen, select properties, then in the window that opens, select the start menu tab at the top.Make sure both lines highlighted below are checked, click apply and OK.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/248814/start-menu-favorite-programs-doesnt-show/
Relevancy 84.28%

Under previous Classic Start Menus for XP Pro and NT, a Shortcut of a Folder on a UNC path would display it's contents as though it was a folder when the mouse hovered over it.

Under the "forced" new Start Menu in Windows 7, a Shortcut to a Folder on a UNC path doesn't display it's contents when hovered upon--you have to click the shortcut/folder. But under 7's Start Menu, shortcuts do not display their contents--they display a file named "target".

Is there any way to change this so that the contents of the folder shorcuts work as they did in the XP Start menu? Not being able to explore folder shortcuts in the start menu is crippling for us....

I have explored Junctions, but they do not work properly with UNC filepaths (you can create them, but not explore them).

A:Start Menu doesn't honor folder shortcuts?

Use symbolic links....
Open an administrative command prompt....

Code:
mklink /D "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\[Documents]" \\remote-system\[Documents]

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/57073-start-menu-doesnt-honor-folder-shortcuts.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi, I usually just read from the forums here when I have an issue, but I'm honestly confounded by something that happened recently. I logged in last night(4-2-2014) and when I clicked on my start orb, my menu is around an inch to the right of my screen. I've moved the taskbar to left/right/top position and it worked perfect again. Scans from Mwb and avast haven't found anything, I've tried returning the settings to default even. I'm sure that I'm not seeing something obvious and was hoping someone could help me. For an older machine, my laptop has been doing ok and now I'm at a loss as what to do. Thank you anyone that can help!
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/BpMEtJc5r4EvdpHOzmXfqBC

A:Start Menu doesn't line up when the Taskbar is on the bottom.

Cool skin, What is it? How is it applied?  Was it an installer?  You download it and click an exe to install it?  Was it an engine like Windows Blinds? Is it just a Windows theme? Did you need to modify anything( hack is such an ugly word) to make it work?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/529875/start-menu-doesnt-line-up-when-the-taskbar-is-on-the-bottom/
Relevancy 84.28%

icons on desktop are gone text is still there & start menu doesn't open.

I have searched and searched for an answer and this doesn't seem like the easy fix. I have tried the task manager explorer.exe thing. I have also right clicked on desktop and tried changing the view settings. I have scanned for viruses using stop sign I have deleted all that has showed. Also I have gone in safe mode and it shows the same problem... one more thing! When I change folder options to "show invisible folders and files" it doesn't show anything new.

Someone please help I've been on this Frickin problem for a few days...

Thank you in advance
Paul Dice

A:icons on desktop are gone text is still there & start menu doesn't ope

Scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware free too.

Then try a System Restore to a prior date (before the issue).

And run the scan again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/371911-icons-desktop-gone-text-still-there-start-menu-doesnt-ope.html
Relevancy 84.28%

HI, All

As you can see from the attached screen shot, Any one can help to figure out why my Win7 start menu doesn't have the drop shadow? I'm using ThinkPad T500 with Window 7 Professional.

Regards,

William

A:Why My Win7 start menu doesn't have the drop shadow

It doesn't have a drop shadow naturally.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/72819-why-my-win7-start-menu-doesnt-have-drop-shadow.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi There is a lot of software on this PC I just found that when I go to Start- gt Programs it is not showing all the software Basically start- gt programs pops up a short menu to the right of 'start- gt programs' menu it has two downward pointing arrows at the bottom of the menu If I take the mouse-pointer to the double-arrows it shows more programs and also pops up another menu next to the popped menu Start->Programs all progs doesn't show in up menu But some of the programs that I want to access are not in the popped up menus These popped up menus one from start-prog and two to the right of it take up the whole screen and there is no space for another menu to the right of it I was expecting a double-arrow on the right-most popped up menu so that I could access the programs that are not now visible on these menus But I cannot I end up going to the Program Files folder and then run the executable from there I don't know if I have been able to describe the problem Start->Programs doesn't show all progs in menu so that it can be understood or not Is there anything I can do to rectify this problem I have already tried to clean up the PC and remove as many programs as I can Thanks for any suggestions

A:Start->Programs doesn't show all progs in menu

When you click on start/all programs, those with a black arrow will expand, as you noted. Within the expansion, any with arrows will further expand. If no arrows are present, it only means that you have reached the end of the tree...not neccessarily an error.
As for the programs not appearing in the start menu, that can happen alot of ways. Most will, by defualt, appear there when installed, but not all. Or, the default options could have been changed during the install, or they shortcut may have been removed at a later time.
Browsing to the program files to open the program is tedious. Once you find the .exe file, right click on it, and chose "send to desktop". That will create a shortcut for you.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/start-programs-doesnt-show-all-progs-in-menu-120907.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I have no idea what my sister and her friends were doing on the comp for a couple recov not work computer shut down loading right, sys right, doesn't programs doesn't of days that i decided not to use it but now - a few programs take forever to load or don't load at all but they do show up under the processes tab in the task manager - after pressing Ctrl Alt Del the task manager icon appears in the system tray but the thing only shows up a minute later - my system recovery is quot not able to protect my computer quot and restarting does nothing - actually when restarting or shutting down Windows it stops at where it only shows my desktop background and cursor which is still able to move and nothing else after that so i have programs not loading right, computer doesn't shut down right, sys recov doesn't work to hold the power button and force it to shut off - when I right click the desktop and click on quot Properties quot or something similar to programs not loading right, computer doesn't shut down right, sys recov doesn't work this action it doesn't show up at all and whenever I try to open any application after that they don't even load at all either - and probably other stuff that I haven't took note of yet Things i've tried to get rid of these problems - Virus scan with programs not loading right, computer doesn't shut down right, sys recov doesn't work avast a couple viruses found and fixed but nothing changed - disk clean up nothing changed - registry clean nothing changed - CURRENTLY defragging my C drive hope something changes Anyone know what the heck's going on Anyone got any suggestions on what to do next Anything helps and would be greatly appreciated

A:programs not loading right, computer doesn't shut down right, sys recov doesn't work

no replies yet? :(

anyway, just stopped by to say that when shutting down, it takes forever to get to the "Saving your settings..." screen, and that's where I decided that it stops and nothing else after that.
Defragged my C drive, still no results besides the computer feeling a bit smoother-running o_o

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/programs-not-loading-right-computer-doesnt-shut-down-right-sys-recov-doesnt-work-316544.html
Relevancy 83.85%

I've never seen this problem before in my life and it has me mortified.

My Sony VAIO starts. It's plugged in normally. The power lights flash, it checks the CD-RW drive, and then remains on with the main power light on and the fan on, but the screen remains black and nothing else happens. Windows XP doesn't load. No Sony logo, no "Operating system not found," nothing. It's like it's had a lobotomy.

I haven't installed anything new, and the notebook has just been sitting around unplugged for a few days. The last thing I used it for was to burn a CD with Windows Media Player. The only change I can think of is that my USB tablet isn't plugged in.

Any suggestions? Thanks, everybody.

A:Solved: XP VAIO laptop starts, Windows doesn't, screen doesn't seem to.

If it has a battery installed, try removing that. Then with the laptop power plug UNplugged press and hold the power button for a second or two.

Then plug the power adapter back in WITHOUT replacing the battery and see if you can get a normal start.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-xp-vaio-laptop-starts-windows-doesnt-screen-doesnt-seem-to.351731/
Relevancy 83.85%

I just tried running a backup on my Windows 7 Pro and got "backup application could not start due to internal error: Class not registered (0x80040154)"
I put a snip of it in (attachment) Why would that happen if I'm trying to set it up?

A:Windows backup doesn't work?

Still looking for some help on this one. I really wanted to get that fixed before installing SP1. I thought installing the SP might fix what ailed it but it didn't.

I contacted support but they didn't get back to me, they sent me a request number but when I ran the diagnostic it said it couldn't send it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/149996-windows-backup-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 83.85%

My computer was recently infected.  I think we got it cleaned, but I'm not 100% sure.  Now when I try to use Windows Update, it says computer has to be restarted; if I restart, it just goes back to the same thing.  I've tried the various windows update repair tools, and they haven't solved the problem.  If a file has been corrupted, can anyone help me resolve that?  Any other help is also appreciated.  Thanks.

A:windows update doesn't work

Please complete your topic in Malware Removal area as there are items that still need attention -fireman4it closed it on 08 April as you did not reply to any questions -See > http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/489699/possible-zeroaccess-infection/#entry3021737 You can still request for the topic to be continued - Thank You -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/491250/windows-update-doesnt-work/
Relevancy 83.85%

My Windows Update was working fine up until about two weeks ago.  Two weeks ago my Kaspersky ran out and I switched over to Bit Defender.  I am trying to install a new program and get the message that my Net Framework needs to be updated, there is a current Net Framework 4.0 update but it won't download.  I ran the troubleshooter and tried many other things to get Windows update working.  I get the message "Windows cannot search for new updates"  code 80080005.  My most recent check for updates was on 8/20/2013.  Checking my update history I had numerous updates up until 9/10/2013, I was also able to download one two days ago, but there are two more and they will not download.  I might add that the numerous updates until 9/10/2013 were all installed successfully, and it was not until I installed Bit Defender that I cannot use Windows Update. 

No guarantees but you might like to try the following sequence:

Uninstall Bit Defender using their removal tool:
http://www.bitdefender.com/uninstall/

Uninstall Kapersky using their removal tool to remove any remnants:
http://support.kaspersky.com/common/service.aspx?el=1464

(Windows Defender now active?)

Run the MS Windows 7 Update Fixit Tool:
http://support.microsoft.com/mats/windows_update/

Test Windows Update functionality.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/509455/windows-update-doesnt-work/
Relevancy 83.85%

Hello,

I have a small problem with a recently downloaded .MSI file. Whenever I try to run it, I first get a window that says: ''Windows Installer is preparing setup'', as expected.
Afterwards, the window closes and nothing happens. No error messages or installation, just nothing.

I tried redownloading, but with the same result. However, when I try to remove the file, I get an error that I can't, because it's opened in Windows Installer.

I remember having the same problem with an older laptop with a different installation file, but after a few weeks it suddenly just worked.
Does anyone have an idea how to fix this (other than just wait )?

A:Windows Installer doesn't work

Are you using MucAfee or one of the paid bloatware AV's? Replace with Microsoft Security Essentials

Try System Restore to a point before the problem occurred.

Try a Clean Boot: in msconfig>Startup uncheck everything (add back in AV later), then in msconfig>Services choose Hide All MS Services then uncheck all again. After reboots check back for any which snuck back in and turn them off in Program Prefs or Uninstall.

Try the Windows Installer Fix from this list #94: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

Run SFC -SCANNOW Command

Next try a Repair Install..

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/197030-windows-installer-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Here's hoping someone can help When I click on Start Search nothing happens When I go to Windows Explorer and right-click on Local Disk C and select Search nothing happens But if I click on the Search magnifying glass on the toolbar I get to search Here's a copy of my HijackThis Logfile Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Work Doesn't Search Windows Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C WINDOWS System CTsvcCDA EXE C WINDOWS System GEARSec exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C Program Files Symantec Norton Ghost Agent PQV iSvc exe C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe C WINDOWS MMKeybd exe C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C Program Files Winamp Winampa exe C PROGRA ZONELA ZONEAL zlclient exe C Program Files Symantec Norton Ghost Agent GhostTray exe C WINDOWS System ctfmon exe Windows Search Doesn't Work C WINDOWS System devldr exe C Program Files Netropa Windows Search Doesn't Work Traymon exe C Program Files Netropa OSD exe C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus SAVScan exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc Windows Search Doesn't Work exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM ZoneLabs vsmon exe C WINDOWS System MsPMSPSv exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C HJT HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www dellnet com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www dellnet com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride dynhost inetcam com register inetcam com localhost N - Netscape user pref quot browser search defaultengine quot quot engine C A CProgram Files CNetscape CNetscape Csearchplugins CSBWeb src quot C Documents and Settings Steve Application Data Mozilla Profiles default c d d slt prefs js O - Hosts localhost O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocx O - BHO no name - B AA B-F - C - FD - C CBBCF - no file O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - HKLM Run UpdReg C WINDOWS Updreg exe O - HKLM Run AHQInit C Program Files Creative SBLive Program AHQInit exe O - HKLM Run AdaptecDirectCD quot C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe quot O - HKLM Run DellTouch C WINDOWS MMKeybd exe O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java j re bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run Windows TCP IP wintcp exe O - HKLM Run Dell AIO Printer A quot C Program Files Dell AIO Printer A dlbfbmgr exe quot O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run WinampAgent quot C Program Files Winamp Winampa exe quot O - HKLM Run AOL Messenger aolmsngr exe O - HKLM Run SSC UserPrompt C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Security Center UsrPrmpt exe O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE NvQTwk NvCplDaemon initialize O - HKLM Run Zone Labs Client C PROGRA ZONELA ZONEAL zlclient exe O - HKLM Run Norton Ghost C Program Files Symantec Norton Ghost Agent GhostTray exe O - HKLM RunServices Windows TCP IP wi... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/windows-search-doesnt-work-18667.html
Relevancy 83.85%

As most should know, windows update or microsoft update uses i.e. (internet explorer) as the default web browser. But for some reason when i go to windows update page the screen turns up blank and says done. Need help.

A:Windows Update Doesn't Work

Hello Are you using windows XP ? Then you might want to try this:http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFIX.htmGood luck

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/39680/windows-update-doesnt-work/
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi Here is my problem I have Outlook Express and Internet Explorer in my task bar When I click on either of them to open them nothing happens I get the hour glass for a few seconds but it goes away However if I try to open them then I go to the task manager and close quot explorer exe quot IE and OE will open Of course I can t really do much after this Also I am unable to open any folders drives etc because explorer is messed up However I am able to open most programs on my desktop and start menu including Word games etc I can t open IE or OE from here though Netscape does work including the mail program MS Messenger does NOT work I hope someone can help me I ve run Antivirus AdAware Spybot and HiJack this Logfile of HijackThis v work Explorer doesn't Windows Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS System Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Mixer exe C Program Files Adaptec Easy CD Creator DirectCD DirectCD exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe C WINDOWS System dwwin exe C PROGRA SYMANT SYMANT vptray exe C WINDOWS System devldr exe D opware exe C WINDOWS System ctfmon exe D Adobe Acrobat Distillr AcroTray exe D AnalogX POW pow exe C Program Files Symantec Client Security Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug Windows Explorer doesn't work mdm exe C Program Files Symantec Client Security Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Outlook Express msimn exe D Netscape Netscape Netscp exe C Documents and Settings account Desktop HijackThis exe Thanks for any help Mike nbsp

Relevancy 83.85%

Hey The last time an update was installed was in January since the Windows work Update doesn't next time i was offered an update Windows Update or any of the programs that use windows update fail to update Also i can't download the updates manually standalone msu installers also dont Windows Update doesn't work work windows defender IE installations also fail to update And unfortunately i have deleted the recent system restore checkpoints before i knew about this problem Windows Update gives error i have tried the quot solution quot to delete temp update files and all other solutions i could find on the internet Windows defender gives the same error The updates can be downloaded from windows update but cannot be download not even manually in msu package I also lost many shortcut files of MS Office the icon Windows Update doesn't work turned white and they lost their target Some shortcuts of rd party programs are also lost which were supposed to be in c windows installer blabla I have Windows Vista Home Basic with SP SP came with the ssytem when i bought it This is very weird I have no other choice than to reformat drive and use recovery disk Please help

A:Windows Update doesn't work

Originally Posted by Huki

Hey,

The last time an update was installed was in January..since the next time i was offered an update, Windows Update or any of the programs that use windows update fail to update. Also i can't download the updates manually..standalone msu installers also dont work.. windows defender, IE8 installations also fail to update. And unfortunately i have deleted the recent system restore checkpoints before i knew about this problem.
Windows Update gives error 80070002, i have tried the "solution" to delete temp update files, and all other solutions i could find on the internet. Windows defender gives the same error. The updates can be downloaded from windows update, but cannot be download (not even manually in .msu package)
I also lost many shortcut files of MS Office (the icon turned white and they lost their target). Some shortcuts of 3rd party programs are also lost (which were supposed to be in c:\windows\installer\blabla\

I have Windows Vista Home Basic with SP1 (SP1 came with the ssytem when i bought it). This is very weird. I have no other choice than to reformat drive and use recovery disk. Please help.

Hi Huki,

Have a look here;
http://www.vistax64.com/software-too...air-tools.html

Also check that your system date and time are correct

Pooch

http://www.vistax64.com/windows-updates/217718-windows-update-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Ever since I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 last week, voodoshield doesn't seem to work.  I even tried restarting the computer.  In addition to restarting, I tried uninstalling and installing again but still it doesn't work.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.Mod Edit:Moved to AV & AM Software ~~ boopme

A:Voodoshield doesn't seem to work in Windows 10

What are the System Requirements for VoodooShield?
For PC's, VoodooShield is compatible with Windows XP* SP2 through Windows 10 (32 & 64 bit).
For Servers, VoodooShield is compatible with Windows 2003 Server* and above (32 & 64 bit).
*VoodooShield is compatible with Windows XP and Windows 2003 Server, but does not offer all of the features or quite the level of security that the more modern operating systems offer.

Source: VoodooShield

According their site it's compatible with Windows 10.
I have no experience with it so I cannot help you, maybe/hopefully another user can?

Greets!

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/604720/voodoshield-doesnt-seem-to-work-in-windows-10/
Relevancy 83.85%

I recently got a new laptop with Windows 7 already installed and it was working fine until one day the sound on youtube stop working!
I've tried multiple things like the Codec K-Lite package and checking all my sound settings in vain.
Then I tried to see if my sound worked on Itunes, it didn't. The one thing that strikes me as truly odd about this though is that when I test my speakers the test sound come through loud and clear.
I have absolutely no idea what is wrong and any suggestions would be kindly appreciated!

A:Sound doesn't work for Windows 7

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Tips-for-fixing-common-sound-problems

you could try the fix it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sound-doesnt-work-for-windows-7.929961/
Relevancy 83.85%

A while ago i cleaned out my keyboard. Later after that, both my CTRL keys don't work properly, and the button to turn wireless off and on does not glow blue. When trying to copy something, Right CTRL+V just prints out L;j. Pressing it in general turns the volume up or down. It makes generally hard to play games and i have to rebind crouch in all my games.

A:CTRL key doesn't work, Windows 8.1

Your specs say PC/Desktop but Keyboard says Built-in HP Keyboard. I don't understand, can you explain more please?

Have you tried another keyboard (external if necessary)?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/71146-ctrl-key-doesnt-work-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 83.85%

when i click windows update i get "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." i can open other pages in iexplorer, except windows update pages. i had Thinkpoint, which appears to be gone thanks some advice from this forum. system restore attempts have also been unsuccessful. i'm not sure if the windows update and system restore issues started before the thinkpoint infection. thanks.

Hi -
As a side note , please do not use System Restore until an expert has finished malware cleanup and tells you it is OK -
You may re introduce some of the infection back to your system -

Thank You -

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/365570/windows-update-doesnt-work/
Relevancy 83.85%

I purchased a Gateway desktop with Win7 installed, but no installation disc. When I try to run Windows Update, it takes me to the site, but the shield is X'd out, and it tells me the service is not running, although in fact it is. I have seen others reporting this same problem, at sites all over the Internet, and have seen about a dozen suggested solutions, none of which works for me (or for a lot of other people). Any advice on this, apart from waiting for Microsoft to fix it (and deliver the fix in some way other than WU)?

A:Windows Update doesn't work

Have you tried turning off your firewall for a few minutes?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/172960-windows-update-doesnt-work.html
Relevancy 83.85%

This is the second time this has happened. I had to reinstall Windows 10 the first time, via an excellent tech in India. Help!

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/439865-why-doesnt-my-windows-10-store-work.html
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi guys,
Well I've had my computer for like the past, 1 year or so.
Just like a few months ago, during August, there was a popup at the taskbar saying that windows can't download the update or something like that.
So, yesterday, I used the Operating System disc that I got when I first got my (gateway) computer, and reset everything. But, it still doesn't work!! I can't even download itunes anymore. I keep pressing the "Try again" button, and it doesn't work. The error code I get is "Code 8007000B".
CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME!?

A:Windows update doesn't work! :(

Using 'Windows Help & Support' feature

Windows Update error 8007000b

If you receive error 8007000b when you try to install Windows Vista updates, the Windows file system transaction log has become corrupted. The transaction log is used by the Windows file system to recover when a file error occurs. To correct this update error, you need to clear the log. Here's how:

To clear the file system transaction log
Click the Start button . In the Search box, type Command Prompt, and then, in the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.

In the command prompt window, type fsutil resource setautoreset true C:\. (This assumes that C: is the drive in which Windows Vista is installed. If Windows is installed on another drive, change the drive letter accordingly.)

Restart your computer.

Download and install the update again.

If the problem persists after you have followed the steps above, go to the Windows Update Support Center website to try to find more information about the error code or to request support by e-mail.

Help and Support search term: WindowsUpdate_8007000b

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-update-doesnt-work.905929/
Relevancy 83.85%

i'm using windows xp service pack 2. i try to go to the windows update page and all i get is a blank white screen and on the bottom left hand corner of the screen, it says done. but nothing is there. if i edit the top url, i can go anywhere i want but just not windows update. i have no viruses, spyware, adaware as i have a thorough check of all and came up empty.

Any suggestions.

Relevancy 83.85%

Im running windows vista ultimate x and for the past few months the windows updater hasn't been working I had a virus malware problem for the last few weeks and I think I cleared that up the guy in the HJT forum told me my log was clean The Update Doesn't Work Windows problem is that I currently have important updates - Windows Update Doesn't Work and ive always had updates for the past few months Whenever I try to update them most of them fail sometimes all After this I restart and it takes a while to configure the updates before loading desktop Then the next time I restart the Windows Update Doesn't Work same updates are back in windows update There are also ultimate extras that always fail whenever I try to update Anybody have any idea what the problem is Maybe they are blocked from updating or something I have Windows Update Doesn't Work roomates who might have messed with some of the settings I should also mention that I don't think im receiving new updates either Its been the same updates for a few months I still dont have SP etc I just now tried updating again and I took screenshots The Updates Ultimate updates The updates failed My update history the failed ones go all the way back to April and the ultimate extras have failed ever since february As you can see all the same updates keep failing And im pretty sure I haven't been getting any new updates for a long time either

A:Windows Update Doesn't Work

Cmon guys, somebody please help.

Just give me ideas, any suggestion that might come to mind that could possibly be the problem fell free to post. I am absolutely clueless and I know somebody on this forum knows something helpful.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/153921/windows-update-doesnt-work/
Relevancy 83.85%

Hi

Recently i update my graphics card and install a new one Sapphire HD 4670 1gb ddr3 the problem is after installing the driver the aero disabled itself and when i troubleshoot the problem a error message comes windows desktop manager is disabled even i tried the latest driver but nothing help. I update my system drivers like bios,chipset,sound and others but nothing seems to work. I am using Windows 7 ultimate x32bit I really wanted to use this card under win7 but because of this problem i couldn't.

A:Windows aero doesn't work

You can start the desktop windows management by going to Start>Run>services.msc
Locate the Window Manager Session Manager and start the service
Re-enable Aero
If it is disabled, set it to start automatically

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/59476-windows-aero-doesnt-work.html