Windows Support Forum

Save Data from old hard drive on New computer

Q: Save Data from old hard drive on New computer

Hi
I have just bought a new pc, as my old one COMPLETLEY died and i have managed to save the old hard drive.

is it possible to install the new hard drive on my new system with out having to format it using disk management so i can use all the data that is on old drive.

I have no issue installing drive etc, just wanting to know how i can save the data on old drive.

Thanks in advance for responses.

James
Australia

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Save Data from old hard drive on New computer

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Save Data from old hard drive on New computer

Just connect the drive (mind you, the old hard drive should become after the one currently installed or Windows will be very upset). All your data will be there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/save-data-from-old-hard-drive-on-new-computer.51641/
Relevancy 79.98%

my h/p shows operating system not found. i'm running xp home but cannot repair. a friend made the hdrive a slave and put xp on a different hdrive, but no luck in transferring files or even viewing bad hdrive. it did show up in "my computer" though but unable to do anything with it.

question? is there a online program that can trouble shoot or fix sectors on a hdrive as its running in the slave position. i was told my sectors are bad.

i'd really like to get photo's off the drive before having to reformat.

thanks for any help 727scott

A:Sys Crash, Trying To Save Hard Drive Data

Try running chkdsk on the drive: chkdsk X: /f
Replace the X with the letter of the drive.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/54426/sys-crash-trying-to-save-hard-drive-data/
Relevancy 79.98%

I ve got a year old Western Digital GB mb cache IDE hard drive that s failing There s no O S on it - it s my slave drive in a Win K Server I have it partioned into sections I m never really on that server much but I map to it from my XP PC amp my RedHat PC It started acting really slow and doing strang things so after several scan disks and reboots on purpose and BSOD s it now gets the following on startup quot Sec Master Hard Disk S M A R T Status BAD Backup and Replace Press F Hard save failing... Drive to the how data? to continue quot It ll boot up into the OS and sometimes I can access parts of it Hard Drive failing... how to save the data? and sometimes it doesn t even show up Also every once in a while it ll say it was unplugged or removed - that message that you get when you unplug a USB device I had tons of stuff on that drive Most I have backed up somewhere or I can get off CD or whatever But I kept all the pictures I ve ever taken with my digital cameras in the past several years I d like to get those back When I try to access the drive the quot pictures quot folder does not even show up Others do and I can access them sometimes That one never does Is this drive dieing and past repair or is there something I can do to get the data off it It s formated NTFS I tried a several DOS based floppys that had NTFS support on them This was back when I could see the quot pictures quot folder I was only able to copy a couple pics and then it crashed and the scan disk on bootup said I had bad sectors or unreadable sections or something like that - I can t remember exactly what it said Any help would be appreciated Cory nbsp

Relevancy 79.98%

Hi folks hopefully someone out there can help me with this as I rather stupidly didn t make backups for quite a lot of data Here is the story About a week ago my PC randomly blue screened I didn t make a note of the error message which was another of my many mistakes I tried rebooting and it just hung on the Windows splash screen tried booting to safe mode and the same thing happened tried booting to last known data I can drive? hard chance Any save from this old some good config and same thing Inserted the Windows XP install disc and set BIOS to boot from that tried doing a repair and it just sent me to DOS prompt so after a little Googling I tried running chkdsk r which was plodding along all night so I left it be Before leaving for work the next morning noted it was at Came back from work hours later and it was still at so I gave it another couple of hours and still no change so assumed it had crashed and powered off Next I tried running the Windows CD and going back to start the chkdsk again but this time as soon as it started a message same up saying the volume has one or more unrecoverable problem Sensing the worst I ordered a new hard drive and also a caddy as my PC only has one space for a hard disc so I planned to mount the old drive as a slave and see if I could have any more joy that way or at least run some diagnostics Both arrived this morning so I powered up the new drive in my system formatted installed Windows and drivers etc Then tried connecting the old drive in the caddy as external storage Sounded to be spinning up ok and Windows recognized it and said the storage was ready to use but there was no icon to access the storage in my computer Did a bit more Googling and saw a page with a method I hadn t seen before to rescue a hard disc using the Windows CD so just to see what happened I tried remounting the old hard drive back in the system and booting to the CD again This time I couldn t even get to the welcome screen of the CD as after a few minutes it went to another BSOD So have now put the new hard drive back in and posted this to pray for divine inspiration In hope more than expectation nbsp

Relevancy 79.12%

Anyways, I posted a while back about my click of death signaling my hard drive failing. Well, it finally crashed, and i haven't been able to use it for a month, until for some reason, today, it my laptop began to work. Point:

1) Bought new HD to replace failing one, I first am wondering how i can transfer my XP? For some reason, can't find anywhere to make a CD, (bootable diskette can be found everywhere) to boot and install XP. I do have an Operating Recovery CD Windows XP SP1 that came with my old destop, will this work?

2) I can back up all the data, but does that include drivers back up? For example, does this include software already installed, and will automatically work on the other hard drive (like a copy paste action?)

Basically replacing hard drive, any tips on the whole process would be great, Thanks a bunch.

Relevancy 79.12%

Dear all,

I am a novice at trying to backing up my files and data before my hard drive crashes but guess what, I am here to say that my hard drive has crashed and I cannot do that now. I get an error message : <Windows root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe

which means I have to either reinstall my Windows XP (which I hope works and I still have to find) or reformat my computer.

My question is: how can I save the files on my hard drive manually since my computer technically won't get past this error message?

Please let me know asap.

Sincerely,

coomstop

A:Hard drive to be Reformatted but need to save data and files first

Read How to recover your folders/files when Windows won?t boot

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-to-be-reformatted-but-need-to-save-data-and-files-first.137683/
Relevancy 70.95%

I'm trying to wipe secure erase my computer hard drive and put it back to factory settings--the computer is getting sold From reading the forums I realize I can use clean all or other programs to write over the quot deleted quot data with ones or zeros However my plan of action was to Use system recovery to system the a data save "deleted" hard on image Does drive put the computer back to factory settings Create a system image Use clean all from the command prompt to wipe the drive Reinstall Windows via installation CD Restore via system image The one problem is that I don't know if a system image saves absolutely everything including data that had been quot deleted quot and is still present on the hard drive but is designated by the computer to be written over I'm worried that if I do this I'll just be undoing my attempt at securely erasing my hard drive and the quot deleted quot data will still be available for people Does a system image save "deleted" data on the hard drive to find if they tried Does anyone know If this is true I'll Does a system image save "deleted" data on the hard drive just do all of this and just reinstall the HP drivers and software that came with it manually and the hard drive won't have a recovery partition for the next person

A:Does a system image save "deleted" data on the hard drive

I'm not sure I follow your steps. I'm missing why you'd install Windows 7, then restore. Do you have a Recovery Disk ?? If not can you still make one ?? If either is yes, then I'd wipe the drive and restore and be done with it.

On the other hand, if I was that concerned I'd probably just put another HDD in it and restore to it.

In answer to your question though, it depends on what you use to capture / apply the image. Imagex, by nature, simply gets the "meat" of the OS install and leaves behind anything else. Other stuff may well carry the "ones and zeros" of deleted data as well. I seem to recall once using a utility that grabbed the entire partition to apply elsewhere. I quit using it because it was more trouble than it was worth.

But by far the most secure method is to replace that hard drive and keep the drive that "might" have recoverable data and use it yourself as a spare or external drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/246416-does-system-image-save-deleted-data-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Every time I try to save files to my portable hard drive on work computers (Intel Xeon Win XP SP2 machines with deep freeze on the c: drive) the computer says it's saving to the hard Drive and gives an appropriate amount of moving time but the HD lights don't flash and I hear no activity. When I look at the drive the file is there and can be read. However when I turn the HD off and then back on it dissappears. Occasionally it will successfully write to the HD and stay there. Moving large amounts of data i.e. several movie files seems to have a bigger chance than say a single picture.

A:Computer pretends to save to portable hard drive

Update it actually worked once today but then went back to screwing up. Ha anyone ever encountered anything like this?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-pretends-to-save-to-portable-hard-drive-67321.html
Relevancy 70.09%

I do that? The computer is completely virused-out, I can do nothing with it. I need to save a bunch of stuff; I have a laptop to put the hard drive on, but I haven't a clue how to do this..

A:I need to remove a hard drive and put it in another computer to save things, how do-

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-need-to-remove-a-hard-drive-and-put-it-in-another-computer-to-save-things-how-do.704809/
Relevancy 70.09%

Hello! Recently a friend and I built a new PC running Windows 10. This build had 2 SSDs installed along with my 1TB Seagate harddrive. However, a friend who helped with the building process apparently only set it up so that only the SSD shows up under my computer. How can I make it so my computer will see the hard drive and other SSD?

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,158039.0.html
Relevancy 69.66%

i can't get my puter to read the data on an external hard drive. wants me to format it even though it recognizes the drive letter i gave it when i did format it. don't want to lose the 100+ gigs of data i have on this drive.

A:my computer recognizes the drive letter but not the data on external hard drive

Does the external drive work on another machine?

Also, while the drive is still connected, can you go into Device Manager (right-click My Computer, click on 'Manage...', click on 'Device Manager') to check for any yellow exclamation marks or red crosses next to anything in there?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-recognizes-the-drive-letter-but-not-the-data-on-external-hard-drive.472352/
Relevancy 67.51%

I went to Fry's to have my computer (HP Windows XP) looked at because it wouldn't turn on. I was told that my mother board was fried. So, I bought a new computer (HP pavillion with vista) and a hard drive enclosure and the guys at Fry's put my hard drive in it and told me that I would just need to hook it up, turn it on and drag and drop my files. I've tried that but it's not working. Could someone please take pitty on me and tell me how to do this. I've got very simple computer skills. I appreciate any and all advice!! Thanks in advance. Jen

A:How do I transfer data from hard drive to new computer?

Hi, Jen, and welcome to the forums.

First off, some info:
What was your old OS? What OS are you running now? What have you tried to do, and what happened when you tried that? Have you gotten any error messages?

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/164061-how-do-i-transfer-data-hard-drive-new-computer.html
Relevancy 67.51%

My computer decided to die on me, so now I want to transfer my data from the hard drive in the dead computer to my new one. I am not sure how to do this. I have heard of using an external hard drive or some way where you make it the slave I'm not really sure.
I have an IDE, 80gb, 5400 rpm, 3.5 in hard drive.
All help will be appreciated!

A:How can I transfer data from old hard drive to new computer?

Put the drive in the second bay jumpered as a slave or on the second SATA cable.

Then drag and drop or use recovery software.

Or buy a good Powered (Addonics, for example) USB external drive Enclosure. Put the old drive in there, and plug it into a USB port where you can see everything... then drag and drop all the data... etc.

You can take as long as you need to get it right.

You might want to read up on where Outlook Express, Outlook, Firefox and so on keep their files... Quicken, Quickbooks, etc. But it is relatively trouble free.

You want the enclosure that has its own power adapter that plugs into the wall, as it really taxes your system to run this external drive off the USB power.

Be sure to shop for the correct enclosure. They have them for both SATA and EIDE and are not usually interchangeable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-can-i-transfer-data-from-old-hard-drive-to-new-computer.109502/
Relevancy 67.51%

I m planning on building a new computer My old computer has two hard drives with Putting Drive new Hard data into a a computer. in it One Putting a Hard Drive with data into a new computer. the main drive with windows and such is reasonbly older The other is a Gig SATA drive Its got a lot of my larger programs on it and such What I want to do is take the Gig drive and put it in the new computer I build but try Putting a Hard Drive with data into a new computer. to keep all the data on it I m Putting a Hard Drive with data into a new computer. just wondering what options I ve got Would it be at all possible to take the drive which is the F drive on the old computer and make it the main drive in my new computer I m thinking that I wouldn t be able to install Windows on it and keep the data thats already there but maybe I m wrong Otherwise would there be many issues just making it the second drive in the new computer The only main issue that I can think of is that my old computer is XP and most likely I ll get Vista for the new computer I don t know if that could cause some problems Thanks for the help nbsp

Relevancy 67.08%

Problem:

My computer crashes every time I transfer large amounts of data onto the D drive of my computer. There is no such problem with my C drive.

First detected this problem while I was transferring some data through LAN. This problem occurs even when I am copying data from my C drive to D drive. I was able to copy a 700MB file onto the drive.
Steps taken:

-Ran a complete scan of my computer, found some viruses, but the problem persists
-Did a Disk Check via Windows as well as the TuneUp Utility, no problems detected.

Specs:
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo t7200 @ 2.00GHz
RAM: 1 GB DDR2 - SDRAM
Hard disk: TOSHIBA MK1234GSX ATA Device(120GB)
No of partitions: 2

A:Computer crashes while copying data onto the hard drive

Is this drive on some sort of RAID array or other disk controller that may need updated drivers? Have you run disk diagnostics from the hard drive manufacturer? How much free space is on this particular drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-crashes-while-copying-data-onto-the-hard-drive.1005122/
Relevancy 66.22%

I recently transported my external 1TB Simpletech drive to a friends house to transfer some .avi files.

When i returned home and re connected to my computer the drive wouldn't be detected "J: is not accessible. The File or directory is corrupted or unreadable.

I found a good recovery program. Power Data Recovery 4.1.1 it is fairly fast depending on the amount of data recovered. At least i can reformat and see if it happens again. If it does I will be taking it back

You can find the software on torrent sites if you don't want to pay for it

A:possible to recover data from simpletech hard drive that computer won't recognize

You can find the software on torrent sites if you don't want to pay for it Click to expand...

It is against forum rules to discuss torrents or P2P file sharing, sorry.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/possible-to-recover-data-from-simpletech-hard-drive-that-computer-wont-recognize.876169/
Relevancy 66.22%

I got myself a new bare system, with no hard drive or disk drive included, except for a floppy disk drive. I bought it for my old hard drive, so I just attached my hard drive to it as the primary master.

So I boot it up, and there's a floppy disk error. It halts at this error, and I choose Continue rather than going into the BIOS and fixing it. I would do that later.

Once I continue, everything runs okay, until I get to "Verifying DMI Pool Data". It just continues to "verify" to no end. Seeing as this is a new computer, do I need new booting software? On my old computer, I was able to boot without any problems, using only that hard drive to boot with.

Relevancy 66.22%

Hey, Firstly i was having a dell latitude E6500. But due to some issues i can not access the old dead pc. But misfortune was that hard drive contains password. I knew the password but unable to access the hard drive on another of my laptop

A:Data Redundancy Error when i connect my hard drive to another computer

is there anyone to help me

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19638491
Relevancy 66.22%

I managed (don't know how)
a, to get my 8100 to fail to boot.
b, try an incorrect restore disc (that created an invalid partition)
c,then enable a hdd password i can't remember or bypass(using DELL)

If that lot doesn't seem unlucky enougth after loosing my mobile i now realise my (lil millenium bug) is the only HD with my childrens pictures on it.

Been diviorced with a real bunny boiler of an x i would be grateful for any asssistance in getting to the stored data...(that can't be replaced)

I aplologise if this thread isn't writen the best but is first forum i've ever visited...

Can anyone offer assistance as i would really like to be able to retrieve the pic's some taken 10yrs ago that can never be reproduced

Thanks in advance (a stupid beginner)......

A:Computer will no longer boot, how to retrieve data off hard drive ?

I'd suggest paying someone to do it professionally as then it will get done properly, as opposed to someone here telling you how to DIY.

Just my 2 cents.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-will-no-longer-boot-how-to-retrieve-data-off-hard-drive.86735/
Relevancy 65.36%

I have a Seagate external hard drive hooked to my XP computer and it is working and backing up fine When I initially set up my Vista computer - I simply hooked up the drive with USB port - and opened like an extra drive and copied what I wanted on the new computer When I went to add some files today - it will not reveal those files and keeps telling me access is denied I have searched and cannot find solution to this When I look at properties on the Vista - it shows the space is taken will longer computer vista my data no hard on drive read external My the up but will not open to the files that are clearly visible on the XP - My vista computer will no longer read the data on my external hard drive most of the research I found talked My vista computer will no longer read the data on my external hard drive about security settings and nothing I did made a difference - and the mystery is that it worked just fine the last few times I have done this - over period of months Hope I am in the right spot - posted first message today and got a great solution so hoping that someone will know how to fix this easily Thanks so much

A:My vista computer will no longer read the data on my external hard drive

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-securi...s-folders.html
I found the fix - it took me LOTS of searching - and two tries as I chose the wrong identity the first time - not sure if it is consistent but needed to pick the administrator as the owner and now it works as it did.
Hope this helps someone else.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/my-vista-computer-will-no-longer-read-the-data-on-my-external-hard-drive-216835.html
Relevancy 65.36%

Ok So I ve got this - gig external maxtor Diamondmax -model L R - GB PATA HDD in data external allow or hold shows computer but won't drive my reformat hard -NO JUMPER DS SLAVE -CS ENABLED -MANUFACTURE DATE APR Ok so the problem is it used to have my entire schoolwork business music files and so forth on it It worked great and as soon as I got all of my information transfered onto it it external hard drive shows in my computer but won't hold data or allow reformat went kaput Ever since then I ve been unable to view any data on it The way it works is it connects via USB and lights up the icon usually not always but usually appears in my computer I can open it but there is nothing there it is just an empty window So even though all my data is there I say whatever I need the storage space so I external hard drive shows in my computer but won't hold data or allow reformat ll just reformat it well it allows me to right click and select reformat but nothing ever loads or happens I have tried copying and pasting files there and none of them actually pastes or transfers I ve searched the forums and tried bringing it up in computer management gt disk management or removable storage but it doesn t show up there Please help me to figure out a way to either A get it working again with the data still intact or B allow me to reformat it so that I can just use the darn thing for storage Really either option would be great amazing excellent I just really could use some help and am willing to try whatever you can recomend but I just need it to work PLEASE HELP ME I am ALL EARS Thanks in advance for a quick reply it means a lot to me Thanks nbsp

A:external hard drive shows in my computer but won't hold data or allow reformat

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-shows-in-my-computer-but-wont-hold-data-or-allow-reformat.578293/
Relevancy 64.93%

I have a hard-disk of 250gb with load of nearly 200gb. Unfortunately there is no backup and the hard-disk not detected in another computer, means possibly damaged. Is there any process to save some or entire data from the hard-disk. It consists of some important data.
Please help..

A:Save data from damaged hard-disc

Is it an external hard drive?

Please connect it to your computer and see how it appears in Windows Disk Management.

Will help us give a focussed solution if you could upload a screenshot of the same.

[If the external disk appears as RAW, then

Download and install MiniTools Partition Wizard Home Edition 7.6 from Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

Use the Partition Recovery Wizard in it and try to recover the partition.

More help here: Recover a flash drive turned RAW ? Partition Wizard and TestDisk.

( Scroll down to Recovery with Partition Wizard: SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16GB and follow the steps therein.It applies to external Hard disks too though I performed it on a USB flash drive.)]

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/272444-save-data-damaged-hard-disc.html
Relevancy 63.64%

One of my WD Green 2tb drives has become raw and can't be used.
Windows will not complete a format of it.
Shows up in my computer.
Is there any way of saving this drive?

A:Save RAW drive - Don't want data

Open Admin command prompt, then type:
diskpartlist disk ======> Take note of disk # of the RAW driveselect disk # ======> is the number in step 2cleanexit
Open Disk Management and initialize it, Create Simple, format.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/32601-save-raw-drive-dont-want-data.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Okay so as ridiculous as it sounds I forgot to make a back up, sue me.

But anyway, I have a lot of important data on this USB that I need to save or recover somehow, and I don't want to just format it and try to recover it that way in case I lose it all forever. I have tried several programs that are meant to be able to recover the data, but all have been unable to even detect the drive even though it appears in the Computer folder.

I attached some photos, can someone help me?

Error message displayed when inserting USB:

Properties of the USB:

Error when attempting Chkdsk:

A:USB drive needs formatting? How do I save my data?

Just for information, tell us: What all recovery programs did you run?

From the chkdsk operation you carried out, I see your drive appears RAW.

To confirm please post a screenshot of Windows Disk Management - with your external drive connected.

If it does appear RAW,

Download , install and Run MiniTools Partition Wizard Home Edition 8.1.1. http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

Run the Partition Recovery Wizard in it, selecting your external drive.

Partition Recovery>Full Disk>Next> Quick Scan>Next

Post the screenshot of the resulting screen.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/352750-usb-drive-needs-formatting-how-do-i-save-my-data.html
Relevancy 61.92%

hi i have a scSi disk GB i [Hard header sql recovery] data Drive / extractors data lost information from it and tried to recover with other recovery softwares to no avail finally i got winhex amp got the professional licence i can now data extractors / sql header [Hard Drive data recovery] be able to see all the information on the whole NTFS partition but the problem is that i data extractors / sql header [Hard Drive data recovery] can t be able to recover it when ever i open the logical drive i can see all the information and most of the information is stack up in a quot free space quot which is around gb which i can be able to see has all the information that i need i have tried to recover the free space but its only copied to the location that i specify and no recoveries are made recovering the files by type name has bore no fruits a freind told me i have to curve out that area and use data extractors to get the information out of that area freee space the information in that drive are sql data bases and zip files whats the header for sql what techniques do i use to curve out that space and be abele to extract the information for i can even read the information in text format which are the data extractors available in the market kindly assist its quite urgent i get this information out nbsp

A:data extractors / sql header [Hard Drive data recovery]

I don't know where this thread properly belongs -- but I suspect the question may be too esoteric for most here.

Since it involves data recovery from a hard drive I'm going to move it to Hardware, I think "all other software" is not likely to have anyone with this type of experience.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-extractors-sql-header-hard-drive-data-recovery.438131/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello I mistakenly formatted a terabyte drive and wish to use Minitool Power Data to formatted Recovery using Data save Power Minitool drive Recovery to save the data onto another hard drive while preserving the original directory folder files structure The support page for this freeware is fairly clear on how to run the program and get to the point where LOST and RAW folders are displayed The LOST folder has many ROOT entries and the RAW folder has entries for many file types BMP GIF using Minitool Power Data Recovery to save formatted drive JPEG etc I have been able to save files and then access the data using Minitool Power Data Recovery to save formatted drive on the output drive many of the images seem a bit corrupted but many are OK If any of you folks have much experience using the Minitool Power Data Recovery using Minitool Power Data Recovery to save formatted drive software please help me out with this task Again I want to save the recovered data from the formatted drive onto the output drive so that there is the same directory tree is that the correct term Thanks ----HulaBear PS The files found by the Minitool total more than terabytes from a terabyte drive What s up with that

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/356088/using-minitool-power-data-recovery-to-save-formatted-drive/
Relevancy 60.2%

Is there a program taht will allow for this, that is relatively cheap, or is there a way to do it without using a program?

Relevancy 59.34%

Hi,

I have two hard drives(40 GB & 160GB both internal) installed in my system. Earlier I had installed windows XP on the first hard drive (40GB) and was using second hard drive as additional storage. I had partitioned my second hard drive into 5 partitions P, Q, R, S, T. Recently I reformatted my first hard drive and reinstalled windows XP. However this has also affected my second hard drive. Now Windows shows only two drives C: (my first hard drive) and D: (second hard drive) as only one partition each. Moreover it is not showing any data on the second hard drive. I want to get back my parition info and data on the second hard drive. I thought that formatting my first drive will not affect second drive and therefore didn't take back up of the second drive. What shall I do to get back my data and partition info.
Regards,
Ansh

A:How to get data from second hard drive after reformatting windows on other hard driv

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-get-data-from-second-hard-drive-after-reformatting-windows-on-other-hard-driv.861162/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hello. My hard drive recently started acting up, and i discovered that it is my HD and it probably won't last for much longer. I've never had a HD fail on me, so I never was in the position of having to save all my files.

I'm not sure what to do. I don't know how to save all my files, and my OS, so its like starting my computer up just like any other day.

Any detailed advise would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure how to go about this.

A:How Do I Save Everything To A New Hard Drive?

I never was in the position of having to save all my files.Actually, you were. You should always back up any files that are important to you. There are only two kinds of hard drives: those that have failed and those that will.That said, here is how I back up my own files:First of all, you need media to back them up. Most computers these days have a CD burner. This is probably the cheapest way to back up data, since CD's are around thirty cents and will save about 750 MB of files. Since I don't know how many files you have, or how much space they require, I don't know how hard this will be for you.You cannot backup programs or your operating system. These need to be reinstalled from their original media. Program installation files which are downloaded from the internet can be saved. Sometimes, with such things as antivirus programs, it is better to get the latest version of the program anyway.You need to backup your favorites unless you are one of those people who don't often use them.You can back up your email accounts, if desired, but some people don't care.You should have any passwords you use saved somewhere, so that you can get back into sites that require a password, such as this site or ebay or other forums. You need to know your username and password for your ISP.Many people keep most of their files in the My Documents folder. (I don't - I keep them all over the place.)You need some kind of program to use to burn the CD's. I don't use backup programs because I hear too many horror stories about how the restore didn't work. You can use a program like Sonic or Nero to back up files, and if you don't have anything like that but you're using XP, you can download CDburnerXP for free. Depending on which program you're using, you would backup your files by simply adding them to a data disk. If you have lots of music files or lots of pictures, you can back up as many as possible on a single CD. Backing up your Favorites/Bookmarks can be done from within whichever browser you're using - in Firefox, it's "Manage Bookmarks" and then File -> Export and then choose a folder to put them in, such as My Documents. You can then restore them by going to the same place and importing your bookmarks backup.To install your operating system, you'll need the operating system disk and the 25-number Windows key. If you don't have that, you can use a program like Magical Jellybean Keyfinder to find out what it is and write it down. The number is usually on the holographic sticker on the side of the computer. Note: if you have the operating system on a partition on the hard drive itself and no actual install disks, you may have a problem.Using the instructions for whichever program you're using, back up your files to the CD by adding them to the list that you want to back up. When you have them burned to the disk, put the disk back in the drive and make sure you can open the files - no sense having a backup that doesn't work.If you have any programs such as Quicken or Microsoft Money that have data, you should follow those programs' instructions to back them up. You can back them up to the hard drive, then when you're burning the backup files to disk, you can include those files in the backup.Take your time. Be thorough.If you have any games that you're part way through, chances are you can back them up, too, and save the backup to CD's.If you have a fast internet connection, you can back up stuff online. There are many places that will let you do this, such as this one. Just do a google search for "backup online." Then, when you get Windows and your other programs re-installed, your backups will be secure and ready to download back to your computer.You do not have to backup all the contents of your hard drive - just the files such as pictures and music and anything else that you want to keep. If you want to back up things like your email... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/56650/how-do-i-save-everything-to-a-new-hard-drive/
Relevancy 58.91%

My 4 or 5-year old Northgate says I'm not authorized to save on either my DVD drive or on a USB stick we have. Since I'm working from home part-time, I'd rather like to be able to work from my laptop occasionally.

A:Can't save anywhere but my hard drive

What is a 4 or 5 year old Northgate?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-save-anywhere-but-my-hard-drive.836624/
Relevancy 58.91%

I recently had a problem with my computer freezing, so I tried cleaning the fan coil and making sure the fan itself was working. Unfortunately before I could do this other people were using the computer and turning off the power every time it froze, then they started skipping the disk check. Long story short, it no longer loads windows. I'm gonna get a new motherboard and cpu chip to help with the freezing problem.

For now I have my old hard drive connected as a slave on someone else's old computer/ server. I tried using it as the master but it still won't load. I've ran a disk check, and I have a windows xp sp3 setup disk but it doesn't run on startup when I restart the computer, only when windows is already loaded.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-save-my-hard-drive.1037197/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi I have been having trouble with my computer shutting down unexpectedly and pop-ups that wont leave the screen saying that my system is hard me my Please save drive! help infected with spyware Please help me stabilize my cpmputer thanks Here is my HJT Please help me save my hard drive! log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS System Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support bin AppleMobileDeviceService exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C WINDOWS System CTsvcCDA EXE C Program Files M-Audio Fast Track Pro MAUSBInst exe C WINDOWS system slserv exe C Program Files Viewpoint Common ViewpointService exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgemc exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgnsx exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgcsrvx exe C Program Files AVG AVG avgrsx exe C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exe C Program Files QuickTime QTTask exe C WINDOWS System M-AudioTaskBarIcon exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ee AOLSoftware exe C Program Files SyncroSoft Pos H O cledx exe C Program Files Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Surround Mixer CTSysVol exe C Program Files Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SB Performance Utility CTPowUti exe C WINDOWS CTHELPER EXE C Program Files Creative Sound Blaster Audigy DVDAudio CTDVDDET EXE C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe C Program Files Adobe Reader Reader Reader sl exe C WINDOWS Temp ex- exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files Creative MediaSource Detector CTDetect exe C Program Files Creative Shared Files Media Sniffer MtdAcq exe C Program Files NETGEAR WG v WG v exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - URLSearchHook AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - C Program Files AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dll O - BHO WormRadar com IESiteBlocker NavFilter - CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - C Program Files AVG AVG avgssie dll O - BHO AVG Security Toolbar BHO - A BC A - F - -AA - D C - C Program Files AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dll O - Toolbar AVG Security Toolbar - CCC A -B CA- -B A - F DD - C Program Files AVG AVG Toolbar IEToolbar dll O - HKLM Run SynTPLpr C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run SiSUSBRG C WINDOWS SiSUSBrg exe O - HKLM Run RemoteControl quot C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exe quot O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime QTTask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run NeroFilterCheck C WINDOWS system NeroCheck exe O - HKLM Run M-Audio Taskbar Icon C WINDOWS System M-AudioTaskBarIcon exe O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKLM Run IPHSend C Program Files Common Files AOL IPHSend IPHSend exe O - HKLM Run HostManager C Program Files Common Files AOL ee AOLSoftware exe O - HKLM Run H O C Program Files SyncroSoft Pos H O cledx exe O - HKLM Run DigidesignMMERefresh C Program Files Digidesign Drivers MMERefresh exe O - HKLM Run CTSysVol C Program Files Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Surround Mixer CTSysVol exe r O - HKLM Run CTPerformanceUtility C Program Files Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SB Performance Utility CTPowUti exe O - HKLM Run CTHelper CTHELPER EXE O - HKLM Run CTDVDDET quot C Program Files Creative Sound Blaster Audigy DVDAudio CTDVDDET EXE quot O - HKLM Run ATIPTA C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe O - HKLM Run Adobe Reader Speed Lau... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-me-save-my-hard-drive.860409/
Relevancy 58.91%

Can anyone tell me how I save my backup mp3 files (which are on a disk) onto my hard drive please? When I put the dvd into the drive I cannot see any option to save. thanks! I am using windows xp

Relevancy 58.48%

Can you save to hard drive and One Drive at Same Time?

A:Can you save to hard drive and One Drive at Same Time?

When you save to OneDrive it actually saves to your OneDrive Folder on your disk and then this is synchronised. So the answer is yes - it does it automatically.

See this tutorial for the setting up OneDrive - OneDrive - Available Offline or Online in Windows 8.1.

If a file is "online only" it is not on your disk until you try to open it. If it is "available offline" then a copy is also kept on your disk. Assuming you have space I find it more convenient to have everything "available offline" and so on my disk.

http://www.eightforums.com/browsers-mail/48523-can-you-save-hard-drive-one-drive-same-time.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello frequent admirer of the site first time poster In short should I replace it? save drive I my hard try replace or Should to my Vaio laptop PCG-Z WAMP WinXP SP hard drive Toshiba MK GAS GB or try harder to save it perhaps finding some other cause of my problems After months of great performance I started getting long system hangs as my laptop tried to access the Should I replace my hard drive or try to save it? hard drive-- the drive would just rhythmically go crunch crunch crunch for minutes at a time allowing nothing to be done then my system would start responding again until I tried to do something else whereupon it had a good chance of again hanging with crunch crunch crunch --I did a virus scan with updated definitions Nothing found --I wiped all partitions and reinstalled Windows The laptop then worked fine --I installed several key programs Still fine --After reading these forums out of curiosity and suspicion I ran chkdsk p from the recovery console It found errors I used chkdsk r to fix them I know chkdsk is not the best program but it was all I had at the time --I loaded on a bunch of documents and programs --All was well for several days --I loaded on a few more GBs of documents --It started again with the crunch crunch crunch hang and rapidly got worse I considered cybercide but calmed myself --I did chkdsk r from the recovery console again It said quot The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems quot --Honoring my Irish stubbornness I ran chkdsk r again After working all night it said it found and fixed a number of errors --Now it is quot fine quot again --I have used Norton SystemWorks CheckIt diagnostic and it says no error found on the drive --I used the Hitachi IBM - DFT quot Drive Fitness Test quot and it gave no errors disposition code x Despite this I don t trust my drive to not keep developing these bad sectors So now I m wondering should I just go ahead and replace the hard drive because it is likely writing these bad sectors and will continue to do so I doubt this has been virus activity since everything I installed should have been clean and an updated Norton scan did not find a virus while my system was showing the problem But any theory is welcome I can crack open the laptop to check fittings and wires and such but I did not want to muck with that unless you all think the above behavior can be explained that way I ve not been moving my laptop except scooting it around on my desk so I did not think it could be a loose fitting causing this I don t like the idea of replacing the drive see my other post for an idea as to why but I can accept that if you fine people here think that s my best bet I just don t want to go through that cost and hassle to discover something else shudder is causing this I have two related questions in two posts The other post will ask how to replace the hard drive if in fact that s what I need to do Any help there would be appreciated Many thanks in advance Matty nbsp

A:Should I replace my hard drive or try to save it?

I would also be suspicious about bad sectors. My suggestion will be The DiskCheckup program from PassMark. It's free and can be downloaded from the following address:

http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm

You can read the page to get more information.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/should-i-replace-my-hard-drive-or-try-to-save-it.40553/
Relevancy 58.48%

I get the blue screen of death "Registry_Error" whenever I try to save a document to the hard-drive.

I recently installed XP Service Pack 3 on my laptop (Thinkpad Z61t). I had to reset the registry and file permission as suggested from the microsoft website to avoid getting the "access denied" bubble during installation.

The problem happened after successfully installing service pack 3 whenever I tried to save to the hard drive.

-Adam

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/registry_error-cant-save-to-hard-drive.789784/
Relevancy 58.48%

Could someone please list steps involved to take the Sony Mini Dvd and save the files on my hard drive. Some software programs I have on my computer are: By the way, I would prefer to just put the Mini DVD right into the DVD drive and go from there. I would rather not have to hook my camcorder through my PC.

Image Mixer (hate it)
Ulead
Adobe Premiere (very difficult to use)
Windows Movie Maker

Thanks for any help.

A:how to save from mini dvd to hard drive

You don't provide much detail, but assuming that you are using Windows of some recent vintage, you ought to be able to create a folder (on the desktop maybe) and just use Copy, Move or 'drag' the files into it. I am also assuming that the DVD drive can handle the mini-DVD, and that you can 'open' the DVD drive from 'My Computer'.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-save-from-mini-dvd-to-hard-drive.331234/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello I can't find a hard drive monitor that displays all files speed read write etc like Resource Monitor does But Resource Monitor cannot save a log of the displayed data it is a very option-less program indeed usual of microsoft I need to save the file so I have time to see it but there is too much for me to screenshot it everything fast enough Otherwise I will make a C app since I think the diagnostic module should also have the perfmon stuff as I did previously hard to drive save log. activity need I for memory stuff In this case it is not important how accurate the speeds total bytes are because I just want to pinpoint the location and ID of certain files to see what another program is I need to save hard drive activity log. loading The Disk activity in Resource Monitor is also not perfect some stuff shows up after the moving was made other stuff keeps going when it's already done sometimes and also how speeds and written read bytes are displayed is total bullcrap since I can't make anything out of it and it's basically totall inaccurate anyways i'm moving gigabytes and it shows XX XXX bytes thanfully i don't care about this now but I surely may be welcome in another case The refresh rate is slow typical of microsoft the stuff that is not being used by the system doesn't get greyed out it's okay they keep it on list for a minute but it I need to save hard drive activity log. should be greyed out immediately when it's not being written read or accessed so you can see clearly which ones are active Is there such a program in WDK or DDK i have the latest WIN edition downloaded already I will make a program my self If I can't find it no doubt about that I will not be dependant on the web Thanks a lot I need this ASAP

A:I need to save hard drive activity log.

I am familiar with event audit and tracing, but that goes through gpedit, on the other hand I remember Perfmon having data collection stuff and I haven't really looked deep into it except some memory stuff. This is what I'll explore in the meantime.

UPD: Now scrolling through Event Trace Providers ... hmm

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/301146-i-need-save-hard-drive-activity-log.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hello,
My HP Media Center Computer with Vista has 500GB of memory, but it's divided into 2 drives, C: and E: I have yet to fill the C: drive, and I have no idea what will happen when that occurs. Will it just overflow into E:? Or will it be a pain to access all the stuff that goes into E:? To prevent this unknown for me, my real question is, is there a way to just save all my recorded TV to this E: drive? I can't find a setting in Media Center anywhere.

Julie

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/save-recorded-tv-to-second-hard-drive.655026/
Relevancy 58.48%

I have no idea whats going on I can delete and copy files from windows explorer file manager When I open a web-based email in explorer Yahoo and try to save the file to my hard drive I get a message saying Saving file as web page complete or web archive Western to Hard Cannot drive HELP emails save my European ISO TitleBar Error Saving Web Page quot The web page could not be saved to the selected location quot I can save Cannot save emails to my Hard drive HELP the file as text only When I try to save it as html only I get another error message staying that it can't save the file because one of its files is missing I'm pulling my hair out over this and about to throw everything out the window A real glass window I am logged in as a user that is a member of the administrators group I have disabled Norton Internet Security disable Spybot browser protection lowered my settings for all zones security settings Why is this happening Last night I re-installed new partition format everything to get rid of this problem Now it's back again Of course I have spent hours trying to secure this darn thing from spyware etc I must have set something that's causing this Other things I've done involve tweaking tcpip to increase throughput but none of those registry entries should have anything to do with this problem

A:Cannot save emails to my Hard drive HELP

Seems to be a Microsoft issue

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=235589

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-save-emails-to-my-hard-drive-help-101045.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Hey you guys I was trying to backup my entire hard drive using Paragon so that if I ever get a virus I can just restore the backup, but I don't have an external hard drive to save the backup to. I also can't save it as a partition on my computer's hard drive because I already 4 partitions on my hard drive and that's the most it can have. Paragon also offers the option to save it to a network drive but I have no idea what that is? All I have is a 8gb flash drive, but I don't think that's enough for a backup.. so any ideas where I can store this backup? Thanks.

A:Where can I save my hard drive backup?

I would buy a external hard drive for backups.
Also have you made your HP Recovery Disks.

How to make HP Recovery DVD disks:
Recover Windows Vista Operating System Using HP Recovery - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

How to make HP Recovery USB disk:
Creating a Recovery Disk on a USB Flash Disk HP Pavilion dv6700z CTO Entertainment Notebook PC - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

or
You can Order HP Recovery Disks from here:
Compaq Mini CQ10-500 PC series*-* HP Notebook PCs - Order Recovery Discs for Windows 7, Vista, or XP - c00810334 - HP Business Support Center

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/182281-where-can-i-save-my-hard-drive-backup.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Can someone walk me through "how to" make a new file that I can use to save my financial info to a file on my hard drive. Probably very easy, I just don't know the steps.
Thanks

A:need to save info to hard drive

Right click an empty spot on the desktop or inside a folder, select new and then folder and name it what ever you like.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-to-save-info-to-hard-drive.526086/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi there,

I have a Dell Inspiron 530s... I can't remember if it's a Western Digital Drive or a Maxtor...... but when I boot up the computer I get this message or something of the like:

Notice: The primary IDE Master Hard Drive SELF MONITORING SYSTEM has reported that a parameter has exceeded its normal operating range. A parameter out of range may or may not indicate a potential hard drive problem.

Am I going to have to replace my hard drive or is there anything I can do to save it? I know how to do a wipe/clean/reformat/repair/whatever but I've never had a problem like this before. Any help would be much appreciated!!

Relevancy 58.48%

I can't save my emails to my hard drive. Why not?
I use XP home, Firefox browser and yahoo free email.
Is it yahoo? I asked them but I never got a response.
Is it Firefox?
When I click on emails I thought I saved, instead of opening, they try to connect to the internet, or else they open but my emails are not there.
I need to save my emails, but they're not saving.
Why not?
Sincerely perplexed,
Troy

Relevancy 58.05%

With drive sectors, health drive smart hard 2 bad my is good but shows data my Seagate GB sata hard drive the re-allocated sectors count shows bad sectors in the Ubuntu disk utility for the smart data In this multi-boot desktop PC the XP with a my hard drive smart data shows 2 bad sectors, but drive health is good drive monitor program called Active Smart shows this drive health status as good including that reallocated sectors count item so is this not to worry about for now or what I do monitor the hard drive temperature which does stay cool enough in the seventies up to about F Or can this be caused by mixed partitioning methods since the new way is now align to MiB and not align to cylinder as it was I used the GParted tool to create and change partitions when it was set as default to align to cylinder but then I recently used both my Vista Disk Manager and the newer version of GParted to re-size some of the partitions which both now use that align to MiB method by default which often has near MB gaps between partitions then nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-hard-drive-smart-data-shows-2-bad-sectors-but-drive-health-is-good.955462/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello, I'm fairly new to these forums but would like to request help for upgrading my laptop. I am thinking of adding a 120GB Msata and 1TB HDD to it (to replace 500GB). My question is how would I go about transferring my dat,a(Pictures, music, videos) to the new hard drive and setting the Msata as a boot drive(for OS and programs)? I would also like recommendations on which Msata/hdd to put in it? I have been considering these:

Amazon.com : MyDigitalSSD 128GB (120GB) 50mm Bullet Proof 4 BP4 50mm mSATA Solid State Drive SSD SATA III 6G (120GB)(128GB) : Computer Internal Solid State Drives : Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 2.5-Inch ST1000LM014: Computers & Accessories

but would like to know if there are better options available? Thanks in advance

A:How to migrate data to bigger hard drive and set Msata as boot drive?

I don't think you can use the Msata SSD as boot drive. It is configured in Raid with the spinner and serves solely as cache. It is just a fancy SSHD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/323738-how-migrate-data-bigger-hard-drive-set-msata-boot-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I had this idea, see if anybody has an opinion about this. My wife has an old XP computer I want to buy her a new one but she doesn't like the vista and she wants to keep the old xp operating system. What I want to do is take the old hard drive and put it in the new computer as the master and take the new hard drive and put it in as the slave erasing the vista off it. Then using the master slave way can I transfer the xp operating system and all her files and data from the old hard drive to the new one.

A:Transfer data from Hard Drive to Hard Drive

You cannot simply put the hard drive with XP on it in the new system to have the new system running XP either from the old drive or by transferring to the new drive. It just does not work like that
You need to install XP a fresh on the new system AND you will need a new XP license to do so.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transfer-data-from-hard-drive-to-hard-drive.758878/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello
Is it possible format a hard drive and save a program ? The problem is I want to install Windows XP onto a hard drive that has windows 98, when I try installing over top of 98 I keep getting error messages saying it can not be done.
There is only one program I want keep that I have not got a disc for so I'm not bothered about losing the rest.
Thanks

A:Format hard drive but save program

No, If you format that's pretty much it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/format-hard-drive-but-save-program.302137/
Relevancy 57.62%

I bought a language CD set, and I do like it. The one thing I do not like is using the CDs every time I want to work with it. I have a Dell inspiron mini 10 with the external CD drive. The reason I bought the mini was for portability, but carrying the CD drive negates some of the advantages. How can I load the CDs on the hard drive and work from it, rather than the CD? I appreciate any help with this.

A:How do I save my language CDs on my hard drive and work from there?

This all depends on the software.
Not all programs let you copy the CD to your HD to make it work. If you tell us what software it is, it may help. What does the program access the CD for? Is there an option in the program, of where to look for certain files?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-save-my-language-cds-on-my-hard-drive-and-work-from-there.132190/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have two internal hard drives on this computer. I want to access the second hard drive to store my photographs from my Adobe Lightroom program. However, I cant find the second hard drive listed under my PC. How can I access and save to the second internal hard drive?

A:how do i access and save to my second internal hard drive on...

Hi, Hold down the Windows key and press R. Into the Run box type diskmgmt.msc and hit enter and let this load. In the lower graphical view, do you see the missing drive listed? If it is listed, is it formatted and assigned a drive letter? Post back with a screenshot if needed. Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/how-do-i-access-and-save-to-my-second-internal-hard-drive-on/td-p/5619222
Relevancy 57.62%

Hey guys my first time on this forum I heard this is the best when it come to tech support well I got this big trouble that just happend to me my recent PC died on me with a bad mobo save hard and contents want to I my upgrade drive's I have I want to upgrade and save my hard drive's contents been searching all over the net for a similar board and its impossible to find it my spec was as follows MSI board with G -ICH chipsets core quad processor gb hyper X rams DDR all the boards with same chipsets are DDR so meaning I have to buy new RAMS with these boards I wanted to step up to the newer processors and DDR but the thing is I dont have back up of my HDD and EVERYTHING on it is VERY important and I dont want to format anything my question was is there a way of keeping everything but still upgrade to a newer system guys sorry for my bad english not my native language and I hope you guys understand what im trying to say and get some help from the pros Thanks nbsp

A:I want to upgrade and save my hard drive's contents

Well if you built a new system you'd need a new hard drive (or Linux CD) to boot from and you can get the data from your old hard drive that way.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-want-to-upgrade-and-save-my-hard-drives-contents.185870/
Relevancy 57.62%

When i get mail to my 'in-box' of Outlook Express and would like to save it other than letting emails 'sit' within either 'inbox' /deleted/drafts, etc. within O.E . Is there a way to save these emails on my Harddrive or send them to a CD so i can clear all that i have saved? how would be accomplished? thanks in advance for any suggestions....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/way-to-save-outlookexpress-mail-to-hard-drive-cd.619923/
Relevancy 57.62%

I want to know why I can't save my Hard-drive settings in My BIOS? I have to set it in the BIOS each time I do a cold boot. Is it because the BIOS Battery going bad. HELP PLEASE!!!

THX

DAN

A:Cannot save Hard drive settings in Bios

If you select save and exit on leaving the bios area, then yes, the cmos battery must be dead.
Replace the battery and see if it works

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-save-hard-drive-settings-in-bios.49332/
Relevancy 57.62%

About weeks ago windows started complaining my hard drive was failing I turned off the computer bought a new TB drive installed the drive couldn't boot into windows so got a Windows install disk Installed to the new drive spent two days installing updates and having windows tell me that the hard drive was failing I went from Vista to Win pro I have made back ups of the old drive and copied all the documents On boot the computer pauses until I acknowledge the failing drive f to continue Then when I get into Windows it warns me about the failing drive What I want to know is now that I've backed up or copied all the data can I save the drive Is there something I could run to reset it I read another thread and got the SMART data see below I ran the fast off line scan and it said that it completed with out errors Can I save this hard drive or should I just pull it and enjoy my new rare earth magnets Thanks

A:Windows says my hard drive is failing: Can I save it?

Seasons Greetings
Do not use that drive to store and important documents, it will fail. You may be able to postpone the inevitable by performing a scan disc. In step 4 check both boxes
Good luck
Disk Check

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/356321-windows-says-my-hard-drive-failing-can-i-save.html
Relevancy 57.19%

My C: drive only has a 9.43G capacity and I only have 240MB of free space left. I bought a 500G external hard drive, but I need to know if I can transfer all the files and programs from the C: to the external hard drive? Helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

A:Transfering c drive data to external hard drive

You can transfer all your data files safely - the operating system (windows XP Pro) should stay on an internal drive and I wouldn't attempt to run programs from your external drive - internal hard drives are quite cheap and easy to install - I would be inclined to get a bigger internal drive into your computer and use the external one for portability and back up purposes.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/transfering-c-drive-data-to-external-hard-drive-320844.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I want to install a 2nd hard drive and put all my apps and data on new drive then reformat my original drive with original
operating system (windows ME). What is the easiest way to do this? If I do this, how do I get all my programs back in the
START\PROGRAMS list and in the add/remove programs list? Thanks in advance for your help

A:I want to install a 2nd hard drive and put all my apps and data on new drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-want-to-install-a-2nd-hard-drive-and-put-all-my-apps-and-data-on-new-drive.101826/
Relevancy 57.19%

We have a Dell running WIndows XP. Last week our hard drive crashed and burned. We installed a new one, but now iTunes claims it won't recognize our iPod since it is synced to a different computer. Is there anyway to get the songs off of our iPod onto our new hard drive?

A:Old Hard Drive Crashed. Any way to save iTunes Library?

This may help:
http://forums.ilounge.com/archive/index.php/t-197173.html
Pay special attention to the part about backing up.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/old-hard-drive-crashed-any-way-to-save-itunes-library.835012/
Relevancy 57.19%

hey guys, was just wondering if it's possible for software to save a list of a filelist in a particular drive or folder. in case my hard drive crashed, i thought it would be much easier to get all the files back if i had a list of what was on the drive.

thanks guys

Relevancy 57.19%

Hi guys,

I have a hard drive with some fairly important information. I hooked it up to a hard drive dock and it comes up but sometimes it loses connection and then randomly connects back again and I see the drive in "My Computer". I dont hear any clicking, is there still something I can do to get this hard drive running long enough to image it? Thanks!

Relevancy 57.19%

My computer has been running much less than ideal. Plus I don't have a ton of space on the hard drive, and often find myself having to delete stuff I never use to create space. I figure the best thing to do would be to save my essential stuff, and start clean.

Things I would like to keep would be most of my operating system, music, pictures, videos, documents, and firefox settings, saved passwords, bookmarks, etc... Is there software that makes this process easy to save this stuff, then wipe everything else clean? Also potentially have a chance to restore if i dont like the result of the wipe, but ultimately delete everything completely if I choose to do so? If so, what software is recommended? Thank you.

Relevancy 57.19%

A few months ago enough to void my warranty I purchased a gb Seagate portable external hard drive Since then I ve seen how poor the drive really is encased in cheap metal it has received many dings Now however it has become unusable as the USB connection has become loose meaning the connection has to be held in place constantly or it is lost I have been looking at enclosures as a possible fix to the connection problem such ashttp www amazon co uk IOMAX-External-Enclosure-Laptop-Powered dp B EEQQ Q Would this solve the loose USB connection and ideally the bad quality casing Or is there a far easier fix that I m missing DRIVE SPEC Seagate FreeAgent Go GB USB Portable External Hard USB connection interface year external save drive! hard my Help Seagate rubbish manufacturer warranty bit encryption security software for maximum digital file privacy Windows XP Vista compatible If I ve left any details out just ask this Help save my rubbish Seagate external hard drive! is my first post so be kind nbsp

Relevancy 57.19%

Hello, when viewing a live stream on websites such as webcam video chat sites, live sport streaming sites or any kind of live streaming site does any of the stream save/store it's self on my hard drive whether it's hidden, hard to find etc...? I'm a windows 7 user. Also once watched do videos on youtube get stored or saved onto my hard drive?

Thank you. I have tried google but no luck. Sorry if this post is in the wrong part of this forum.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/do-live-streams-on-websites-save-onto-hard-drive.1112062/
Relevancy 57.19%

I am running Vista Home Premium on a HP Pavilion Entertainment PC. I have a 160Gb hard drive with 86Gb of free space. I have been trying to build a mapset for my Garmin GPS in Garmins Mapsource program. The program compiles the mapset ok but cannot save the file because the system says the hard drive is full. I have saved this file on this computer before and it worked ok. How do I get rid of the hard drive full error?

A:Cannot save file due to hard drive full error

It may be a simple case of temporary folder space. A cleaning of temp folders is where I would start.

Here is a link for CCleaner:

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

One time I could not get a well known Firewall & Antivirus package to install. It turns out it crashed because it requires >2GB of space in the temporary folders which was not available. A cleaning fixed that.

I hope this is all it is, if not, have you looked at the compiler's log file? What about Event Viewer?

Regards. . .
jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-save-file-due-to-hard-drive-full-error-213291.html
Relevancy 57.19%

My husband was on a newscast last week, and the archive expires today. Is there a way to save it to my hard drive or a CD? I'd appreciate your help.

Sue

A:Solved: How to save an online newscast to hard drive or CD?

It depends. There are likely copyright issues. Unless they provide a download option, that is probably the case. You will have to read the Terms of Use of the site in question or contact them directly to ask for permission or obtain a copy from them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-to-save-an-online-newscast-to-hard-drive-or-cd.930810/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hello all,

I'm having problems with my laptop trying to install windows 7 ultimate.

It all starts fine but gets to the point as where do you want to install windows and there is nothing there to select, no hard drive to save it to.

Here is a link as to where I asked on another site if you need a few details and see what I've done already to try and fix it.

https://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/m.../807089#807089

Chris

A:cant get windows 7 to install hard drive not found to save it

Where did you get Win7? Did you burn the DVD, and how? How do you plan to activate it?

If you still have an OS onboard the make your Recovery disks first.

Boot the installer to wipe the HD first with Diskpart Clean Command.

Then follow these steps to get a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/250772-cant-get-windows-7-install-hard-drive-not-found-save.html
Relevancy 57.19%

i tried to add a hard drive to my computer a day ago and i changed the cable from the board to the hard drive to support two hard drives but it turns out that that messed up my comp not Hard wont drive save partitions working, so now i put my computer back to its original set Hard drive not working, partitions wont save up with Hard drive not working, partitions wont save the cable to the hard drive from the board and the original hard drive im using an HP pavilion a n whats happening is im trying to install windows XP and its not working at all i cant even get it to start because it says i cant install it on any of my partitions ive tried a few partition editors i tried formatting the hard drive and that got to and before it gave me any other options it restarted i tried killdisk and that freezes without even starting unless ESC isnt supposed to work while thats on should i try leaving it on all day the computer keeps restarting over and over and sometimes i get a BSOD for something about a USBsomethhinsomething SYS not sure what is going on here i looked online to figure out how to do the hard drive install when i started and i did everything it said could someone please help me get this computer working again so i can install windows xp thankyouu nbsp

Relevancy 57.19%

Had this problem about 2 weeks and can't get it figured out. My hard drive keeps filling up to 0kb available even after I have deleted 10 gig of files. I have ran malware bytes and it found a trojan and adware files that I removed. I downloaded AVG, but it will not run except in safe mode. I ran the scan last night and it came back with a Luhe.Sirefefe.A virus, but gave an error message and could not remove. I am at a loss on waht to do, since the hard drive keeps maxxing out after I delete files I can't download anything to help get rid of the problem. This machine has Vista OS. Any suggestions and thanks for the help.

A:Hard Drive filling up can't save anti virus

Well I finally got AVG to run in safe mode and got it successfully healed the LUHE virus. I am still getting redirected when trying to go to a webpage though. Also my HD is still filling up.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/479667/hard-drive-filling-up-cant-save-anti-virus/
Relevancy 57.19%

Is there a way i can save attachments that i get in oulook to a folder that is not in outlook? for example i receive everyday with this as my subject "00083-06EComCC". This email has two attachments. I want to save them in file C:\imports\. If anyone can help me out that would be great. Thank you for the help

A:How to save attachments in outlook to the hard drive automattically

I got it to work here is the code!

Public Sub saveAttachtoDisk (itm As Outlook.MailItem)
Dim objAtt As Outlook.Attachment
Dim saveFolder As String
saveFolder = "c:\imports\"
For Each objAtt In itm.Attachments
objAtt.SaveAsFile saveFolder & "\" & objAtt.DisplayName
Set objAtt = Nothing
Next
End Sub

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-save-attachments-in-outlook-to-the-hard-drive-automattically.1120825/
Relevancy 57.19%

If I know the URL of a video file and I put it in the address bar it will automatically open in Windows Media Player. If I want to save the video to my hard drive I have to click File Save As in Windows Media Player and then save it while the video plays in the background. How can I save a video file to my hard drive by just knowing the URL without having to open it in Windows Media Player first. Keep in mind that I am not clicking on a link to view this video Im actually typing in the URL in the address bar. Thanks.

Relevancy 56.33%

I ve had my HP Simple Save TB External Hard Drive for a few of years now it s served me great I used it for storing all my photos but the usb connector has snapped off from the small CD drive inside the casing This has simply been through use it was working fine not wobbly or mistreated in any way it must have just came to the end of it s life and now I can t hook it up to my computer to get the photos I m desperate to get them back wedding photos birthdays etc most of you must know how I m feeling So I looked up Simple 2.0) TB Save (3.5-inch, 2 External HELP! Drive Hard Broken USB HP a few solutions one was to buy a USB-to-IDE SATA adapter and use that to connect to the computer well it works as far as recognising that a device is connected but won t load the files or folders to view As I ve looked around apparently the small CD drive that s inside the HP Simple Save 2 TB External Hard Drive (3.5-inch, USB 2.0) Broken HELP! case has software that my computer automatically loads Now this is where I m lost how do I manage to get this to work I m almost at my wits end as far as looking every single day on Amazon and eBay to buy a new one to transfer the CD drive onto the broken one to load it up and get my photos back IF that would even work I m not sure So if you have any suggestions help please please get in touch thanks nbsp

A:HP Simple Save 2 TB External Hard Drive (3.5-inch, USB 2.0) Broken HELP!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-simple-save-2-tb-external-hard-drive-3-5-inch-usb-2-0-broken-help.1127335/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi everyone, my software(data acquisition software) works well and saves data in the folder with full control permissions, but when I try to save my data in the restricted folder(only delete permission is denied) it displays an error access denied.
Is there any workaround to disable the delete option and keeping the normal functioning of software intact, as my intention is to allow the users to generate the data and restricting them from deleting the generated data
Thanks in advance

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/026639d7-2c52-4c20-aca4-d5e6675b5611/if-i-setup-folder-restrictions-i-am-unable-to-save-data-through-the-data-acquisition-software?forum=w7itproappcompat
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello

I am replacing my hard drive, is thier a way I can transfer the data over to the new drive myself without reinstalling my OS again?

A:Hard Drive Data

Most new drives from major manufacturers come with an image utility that will allow you to move everything to the new drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-data.166408/
Relevancy 55.9%

I recently had a few too Help off need data my Me hard please!!! I drive many memory-intensive programs open at once on my old computer I DO know better so I rebooted after it had frozen completely a process that I have done many times without a hitch Well this time there was a Help Me please!!! I need data off my hard drive major problem I got the following error message during the re-boot Windows could not start because the following file is missing Help Me please!!! I need data off my hard drive or corrupt C WINNT SYSTEM CONFIG SYSTEM I tried the Repair option after booting with the installation disk to no avail Nor was I successful using the Emergency Repair Disk I hade made with a floppy ages ago So I did the following Instead of using the R option while rebooting from the installation disk I typed C and entered into the Recovery Console There I renamed the above-mentioned corrupt SYSTEM file to SYSTEM OLD and then copied -- into the same directory -- a new SYSTEM file from C WINNT REPAIR Long story short it seemed to boot into windows OK CHKDSK then ran and showed lots of orphaned files which it supposedly repaired I had to re-install the graphics card and monitor and got everything working pretty well albeit squirrelly At this point I just wanted to backup some of my critical work data and had resigned myself to probably doing a clean re-install Well I couldn t back anything up to any external storage and shortly after that nothing worked whenever I clicked anything I got a prompt to run CHKDSK I rebooted and got the message ERROR LOADING OS Not good So I took that drive out of the computer thinking I might be able to get the data off of it another way I had another drive in there which I set as the master drive formatted and did a clean install of Windows I put the old drive back in as a slave and this is what happens now It shows in windows explorer but that s about all When I try to open it I only get a prompt to format it When I run COMMAND COM I get the following information in DOS C gt DIR F The volume does not contain a recognized file system Please make sure that all the required drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted C gt CHKDSK F The type of file system is RAW CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives Can anybody help me access this drive I have design files on it need for work nbsp

A:Help Me please!!! I need data off my hard drive

im afraid the same has happened to 2 of my external drives . it sounds like you got a head crash on your drive thats when the head that reads the platter comes into contact with eah other.you need to get the drive to pc world or some data recovery place, where they take the platter out of the drive case using a clean room it is an expensive process theres plenty of rip off places doing it ranging between 80 & 759. pc world will do it for 99 and if they dont retreive data you want you dont have to pay a penny. so if you want to pay these rip off companys for you own data just have a real think so see if that data is really important to you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-me-please-i-need-data-off-my-hard-drive.646968/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all

I am trying to get the photos etc of my hard drive that i have taken out of a netbook that broke

i have the drive connected to a laptop running vista

Have been looking on here and have gone through the steps to asign a new owner

I can get to the folder i want ie pics but it wont show them and it says i donnt have permission even in safe mode i get this

Any ideas where ive gone wrong

Regards

A:getting data from hard drive

Just take ownership of the files/folders

Take Ownership of a File or Folder
Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win 7 or Vista - How-To Geek

if the above does not work try enabling the super admin account

Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista - How-To Geek

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/getting-data-from-hard-drive-643939.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I have 2 data hard drives D and E with about 130 Gigs of data one each one which has the same data because they are backup drives. When I do a select all to see how much data I have they both tell me about 130 gigs and when I go to My Computer and select the partition Drive D say's 130 gigs and drive E says 230 gigs. I'm the administrator and there are no hidden files or folder. One drive is a 750 Gig and the other is a 1T drive. It's my 1T drive that is giving me the 230 gigs. I think maybe the clusters are bigger, need to be defrag or something and I thought I would post to see if anyone know about this?

A:Data on the Hard Drive

Download windirsat and see exactly what is there
http://windirstat.info/

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/148128-data-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a machine that has been sitting for about 6 months because either the PS or MO died. Can I take the hard drive out and put it in another machine as a slave so I can still get to my old data?

p.s next thing to buy is a flash drive to save my stuff on!!!!!!

Relevancy 55.9%

I have a broken laptop which I have removed the hard drive from, and I would like to get some pictures off of it. Is there any way to connect it to my working laptop without taking it apart? This is the hard drive that I need to connect:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/nine-notebook-hard-drives-make-their-debuts,review-358-4.html

Thanks for any help.

A:Need to get data from an old hard drive

Howdy,

You need a IDE Enclosure that will hook up to your laptop via USB

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...aps&field-keywords=laptop+enclosure&x=16&y=17

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-to-get-data-from-an-old-hard-drive.966102/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello I ve run into some issues in Getting off Drive Data Hard Old attempting to get files off of an old hard drive I had an old computer that my folks had been using and on which they had files that I would like to retrieve The hard drive on this computer was actually a replacement drive rather than the original The original was MB whereas this particular drive was GB Because of the computer s BIOS limitations when the hard drive was installed a program that came with the hard drive called quot EZ Drive quot was used to create two separte partitions one with GB the rest on the second partition The system orginally ran Windows but was upgraded to Windows even before the hard drive upgrade Windows was also run on this hard drive Well this computer has recently bit the dust but as far as I know the hard drive is still in working order In attempting to retrieve some of the Getting Data off Old Hard Drive files on the hard drive I have put it into another computer Before connecting it I moved the jumper on the hard drive to the slave setting The computer that it was placed into is a Pentium III running Windows ME I was hoping that by adding the hard drive as a slave drive I would be able to pull the files that I wanted off of it However when I booted the computer after installing the old drive it did not appear as a drive in My Computer However when I go into the Control Panel open System Properties click on the Device Manager tab and take a look at the Disk Drives I can see that the slave drive is at least being seen by computer because it is included on the list of attached drives However unlike the main drive which when you look at its properties it shows that it is Drive C the properties for the added slave drive does not indicate a drive letter I have no idea how much of that information is relevant but thought that I would provide as much as I could I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have on being able to access the data on this old drive Thanks nbsp

A:Getting Data off Old Hard Drive

EZ Drive is an overlay program (acts in place of the system BIOS) that has to be loaded at boot time.

Try setting the old drive as a primary master and booting from it. With luck, Windows 95 will boot at least in safe mode. If not, the DOS mode should still work. After that you can try copying the files to another (slave, FAT32) hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/getting-data-off-old-hard-drive.66533/
Relevancy 55.9%

I was wanting to ask if anyone knew of a way that I could transfer data from my old laptop, an IBM Thinkpad to a desktop PC hard drive. The laptop is incapable of being powered up as the motherboard is defunct but the hard drive itself is still ok. So what would I need in order to connect the two up and what software if any would I need to use. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

A:Hard Drive Data

You will need a Laptop Hard Drive Converter kit which will enable the 2.5" laptop to fit the PCs 3.5" bay. It all comes with cable conversions.

Do a search for them, and you will find loads of places you can buy them. They run about $10, from what I have found

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-data.223932/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have Windows pro and suddenly got the error STOP x B xeb b c xc x x inaccessible boot device If this is the first time you have this stop error screen restart computer If this screen appears again follow these steps Check for viruses on your computer Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard driver controllers Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated from Please data drive get me help hard Run chkdsk f to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer ----------------------------------------- I have done the windows repair and it would not work so I have a couple of questions The computer shop said they would have to format the c drive and there s alot of data on it I do not want to lose I can boot from a dos floppy and see the c drive Wouldn t the fact that I can read the c drive tell me that there s NOT a hardware failure but some sort of error in Windows that needs fixing Also could someone PLEASE tell me exactly how I can get the data off of Please help me get data from hard drive my hard drive I would like to copy it to a cd or dvd - I have both on Please help me get data from hard drive the pc because diskettes would be nearly impossible If I could borrow a copy of symantec ghost would that work And if so exactly how would I do it Thanks nbsp

A:Please help me get data from hard drive

If it was a hardware error, then a format would not fix it anyway, so you can probably rule out a hard disk failure. Thats no guarantee that the data is still salvageable though.

If your HDD was formated originally with the NTFS file system, then DOS will find the drive but not read the contents. DOS only understands the FAT system, not NTFS.

Its not a practical consideration to extract the contents via DOS anyway. The best way would be to re-jumper the drive as a slave and temporarily connect it in another Windows 2000 or XP computer and extract the data that way.

Since you have a DVD drive and burner, one should ask why the data was not backed up?. Its a salutory lesson, as hard drives fail quite regularly.

Get the computer shop to recover the data at the time they reformat?

Have you looked at the cost of a new hard drive, then fit your old one as a slave? Might be an economic proposition?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-me-get-data-from-hard-drive.289945/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have two hard drives in my system. One is a Maxtor and the other Western Digital. Both have operating systems. I am trying to get data off of my WD hard drive by booting from the Maxtor hd. However, I am unable to view my WD hd in My Computer to get the data I need. I've already changed the jumpers with Maxtor being the Master and WD being the slave. So what do I do now???

A:Need help getting data off of hard drive?

Be sure your cables are snugly installed... Check the EIDE socket on the motherboard. Then check each drive individually. I am assuming you already have the newer 80 conductor, 40 connector EIDE cables... but you might try exchanging those ribbon cables with others, as the 80 conductor ones are very fragile, easily crimped, scratched or have wires pulled loose.
Double check the jumper settings for the Western Digital because they are different on some WD models when another drive is also on the system, than when installed alone.
Then run the Western Digital, then the Maxtor drive fitness tests, if still not working properly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-getting-data-off-of-hard-drive.70934/
Relevancy 55.9%

If I have a hard drive that I need information off of and I ran fdisk and deleted the primary dos partion and the recreated the primary dos partion and then set that partition as active.... how can I reverse or undo this or what can I do to get to the information on that disk? I did not format it.

Please help...
Other post is linked to this one but previous problem solved.

Thanks Byteman.

Relevancy 55.9%

I have a 40G hard drive partitioned into two 18.5G partitions. One partition (C:) for the operating system (XP) and programs has 16.3G used; the second partition (D:) is for data files, 9.66G used.

The C: drive is badly fragmented and does not have enough free space to run Defrag.

I want to put in a larger 150G hard drive and move all the operating systems, program files and data files to the new drive. I tried to run a back-up to no avail (not enough free space I think).

If I copy the files from the D: drive to an external hard drive, can I delete the D: partition? Would the space from the deleted D: partition automatically be transferred to the original C: drive partition?

I do not have the Windows XP disk or any disks for the programs. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

A:Too much data on hard drive

Yes, you can delete the partition in Disk Management. Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Disk management.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/339964/too-much-data-on-hard-drive/
Relevancy 55.9%

I've ordered a new hard drive for my laptop to replace the current 160 GB it has. It should arrive very soon so I've just tried to create a system image of my C:/ drive but when choosing where to save the image I am not able to select my external hard drive, instead it blanks it out the on hard disk option and goes straight to the DVD or Network option.

The hard drive works fine in Windows 7 for normal operation, it is a IOMEGA 250 GB USB 2.0 Hard Drive. It does however have files already on it, it's free space is 195 GB.

Does it need more free space, or am I missing something?

Thanks,

James

A:Unable to select external hard drive to save a system image

I don't know what I did, but after messing around with drive letters and paths I managed to get my external hard drive to appear in the list and it is currently saving a system image of my C:/ drive right now. Fingers crossed.

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/151138-unable-select-external-hard-drive-save-system-image.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I am a beginner with tablets and networking. This should be an easy answer.

I have a new tablet. TCL 9020A Android ver 5.0. This is thru At&t network LTE cellular data. My question is, can I use wifi to save on data usage? I have this tablet and Galaxy S5 that both have mobile hotspots available.

Do hotspots use more data? Is there an app available to reduce data usage while on the internet?
Is there any way to get cheaper wifi than paying for tons of data use?

I downloaded the TSG sysinfo utility but my at&t Trek HD would not let me open it. Please advise.

I love this site. I have learned a lot. Thank you.

A:new tablet on data plan want to use free wifi save data

Yes, if you use your own WiFi network or free WiFi hotspots, you won't be using your cellular data. You can connect to those in your wireless network settings.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-tablet-on-data-plan-want-to-use-free-wifi-save-data.1152577/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi I have a hard drive from a Toshiba laptop that is toast I connected it to my desktop running USB off Drive Connected by Hard Data Need Windows via a USB adapter I right-clicked on Computer selected Manage which took me to Computer Management and selected Disk Management The hard drive shows up as Disk Basic GB online The partitions are MB Healthy EFI System Partition GB Healthy Primary Partition and MB Unallocated This drive will Need Data off Hard Drive Connected by USB not let me give it a drive letter and it does not show up on Computer PLEASE help I need this data Many thanks Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Ultimate Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - K CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics - Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB L Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC P Z -V PRO GEN Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated and Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

Okay, I just installed a Wireless card in one of my PCI slots on my only computer, a Dell Deminsion 8300 from six years ago. I plugged the power cable in the power supply and sparks blew everywhere. I tried 3 different power supplies and no power at all. Now I've decided just to build a new PC.

My problem is that I have all of my tabs and lyrics on the old hard drive and need to get it off of the old IDE hard drive and on to the SATA hard drive. The old hard drive has XP on it and I'll most likely be installing XP on this new one until 7 comes out.

How can I get my data from the old hard drive?

A:Needing To Get Data Off IDE Hard Drive

Place the old hard drive in a USB external enclosure and attach it to the new system when the new system is up and running. You will be able to access the data that way

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/needing-to-get-data-off-ide-hard-drive.131547/
Relevancy 55.04%

I recently purchased a new computer for basic home use. My old HDD contains
roughly 10GB of pics, vids, files, etc that I need to transfer to my new computer.
What would be the best & easiest way to transfer the data?

I searched, but didn't come up with much. I'm sure this is a simple process.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan

Relevancy 55.04%

I have a desktop which has bad virus. I ran couple of anti malware softwares but still not getting my files and icons back on my desktop. Can someone suggest me what can do so I can recover all my files and icons on my desktop. I really appreciate.

A:Retrieve data from hard drive

Hello and Welcome to TSF.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined here:

NEW INSTRUCTIONS - Read This Before Posting For Malware Removal Help - Tech Support Forum

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new thread, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/retrieve-data-from-hard-drive-615046.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Is there an easy way to transfer everything from one hard drive to another if I put one in as master and the other as slave. Can you just do a disk copy?? Want to replace a smaller hard drive with a larger one and just want to transfer everything on to it. Thanks in advance

A:hard drive data transfer

Most harddrive manufacturers have a utility on their support web site that will do it for you. Check their site first.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-data-transfer.34292/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi,
I think my hard drive is dead because after a physical memory dump blue screen occurs, I can't reboot my computer in any way. When I try to reinstall Windows XP, it says the hard drive is not accessible. However, I still hope that there is still some way where I can get my data out of the hard drive. Do anyone know how to do this? Thanks a lot for any input.

A:How to restore data from bad hard drive

Howdy innewton...

Can you get into the BIOS to see if the pc see's the hard drive ?

Or during BOOT up does the hard drive show up ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-restore-data-from-bad-hard-drive.236493/