Windows Support Forum

Inspiron 1720 BIOS does not recognize modular bay HDD in boot sequence

Q: Inspiron 1720 BIOS does not recognize modular bay HDD in boot sequence

I have just added a new SSD drive does recognize 1720 Inspiron in modular boot bay not BIOS sequence HDD in the modular bay of my Inspiron The SSD drive in modular bay is accessible if I boot using my normal harddrive or USB DVD-ROM drive for OS installation which I managed to install on the SSD drive Once boot using my regular HDD I can see the drive is set to Disk in Windows Disk Management And my other HDDs Inspiron 1720 BIOS does not recognize modular bay HDD in boot sequence as Disk and Disk I can boot thru HDD or HDD by selecting them in boot sequence However the SSD drive is not available as part of the boot sequence in the BIOS setup or F boot sequence The BIOS though recognize that there is an SSD drive attached Inspiron 1720 BIOS does not recognize modular bay HDD in boot sequence in modular drive bay My Inspiron is using the latest A BIOS and I could not find a way to include the SSD as part of the boot sequence The boot sequence works when I put back the DVD-ROM drive which boots without any problem with any bootable CD DVD Is there any way I can make the modular bay SSD bootable other than of course putting the SSD in the HDD or HDD caddy which some thing I do not wish to do Please help nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/inspiron-1720-bios-does-not-recognize-modular-bay-hdd-in-boot-sequence.210955/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Inspiron 1720 BIOS does not recognize modular bay HDD in boot sequence

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 148.49%

I have just added a new SSD drive in the modular bay of my Inspiron The SSD drive in modular bay is accessible if I boot using my normal harddrive or USB DVD-ROM drive for OS installation which I managed to install on the SSD drive Once boot using my regular HDD I can see the drive is set to Disk in Windows Disk Management And my other HDDs as recognize does Inspiron 1720 bay sequence boot HDD modular not BIOS in Disk and Disk I can boot thru HDD or HDD by selecting them in boot sequence However the SSD drive is not available as part of the boot sequence in the BIOS setup or F boot sequence The BIOS though recognize that there is an SSD drive attached in modular drive bay My Inspiron is using the latest A BIOS and I could not find a way to include the SSD as part of the boot sequence The boot sequence works when I put back the DVD-ROM drive which boots without any problem with any bootable CD DVD Is there any way I can make the modular bay SSD bootable other than of course putting the SSD in the HDD or HDD caddy which some thing I do not wish to do Please help

A:Inspiron 1720 BIOS does not recognize modular bay HDD in boot sequence

I don't think so.

But, this would be best asked on the Dell Laptop forum, where there are those more familiar with Dell products and BIOS.

Laptop - Dell Community

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/366040-inspiron-1720-bios-does-not-recognize-modular-bay-hdd-boot-sequence.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Hello all I am trying to install Microsoft from Vista I've run into a series of problems -- I downloaded microsoft from the microsoft online store -- I can't complete the setup process until I update the BIOS -- error message is Windows cannot be installed on this computer with the current system BOIS versoin Contact your computer manufacturer for a BIOS update install the update and then start windows instalation again OEM Name Dell Inc OEM Model Inspiroin BIOS Version Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version A BIOS Date -- So I went to dell and downloaded BIOS A -- I went to run it but I am told I have to be an administrator -- After reading online how to be an admin of my own computer I logged in as quot safe mode quot and try to run it again -- now is where the fun starts -- I get a new error -- it tells me that it won't run due to a flash error something like this BIOS Flash A Inspiron X X C I've looked online but don't see a solution I added ram and now have GB

A:Problems with BIOS A09 in Inspiron 1720

Quote: Originally Posted by morganck

Hello all,

I am trying to install Microsoft 7 from Vista. I've run into a series of problems.

-- I downloaded microsoft 7 from the microsoft online store
-- I can't complete the setup process until I update the BIOS -- error message is:
Windows cannot be installed on this computer with the current system BOIS versoin. Contact your computer manufacturer for a BIOS update, install the update, and then start windows instalation again. OEM Name: Dell Inc.; OEM Model: Inspiroin 1720 ; BIOS Version: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A04; BIOS Date: 20071105000000.000000+000

-- So, I went to dell and downloaded BIOS A09

-- I went to run it but I am told I have to be an administrator

-- After reading online how to be an admin of my own computer, I logged in as "safe mode" and try to run it again

-- now is where the fun starts -- I get a new error -- it tells me that it won't run due to a flash error, something like this:

BIOS Flash A09 Inspiron 1720

0X00000610
0X0000043C

I've looked online but don't see a solution. I added ram and now have 4GB.

Hi and welcome

I also have a dell. first did the bios you have recognise the new ram? Second it seems to be better to have less ram when installing or flashing. did you get one of the dell ""exe" updates? the kind you double click and then it extracts the files and installs them? Just to be on the safe side DL again, and try to re-install. I think there might even be an A10 bios, because I have that on mine.

Let us know if you need help

ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/33815-problems-bios-a09-inspiron-1720-a.html
Relevancy 86.86%

I have an Inspiron 1720 running Vista Home Premium and I wish to upgrade to Windows 7.   The Microsoft Compatibility Test indicated there would be no problem.   However when I tried to install Windows 7 Home Premium it stalled saying I needed to update the BIOS version (A03).   Having checked Dell Support the latest version is A09.   When I try to download it all I get is a Download Manager which tells me there are no files to download.   I believe the file I need is 1702_A09.EXE.   How do I install this BIOS update?

A:BIOS Update Inspiron 1720

eusetep
Please download the below BIOS file for your system.
Inspiron 1720 BIOS ZIP
Do let me know if you have any issues, the battery must be charged and connected to the AC adpt during the update.
All open applications have to be closed. Any interruptions during the installation could render the motherboard useless.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19379275
Relevancy 86%

This is my first time posting here so sorry if this is the wrong place. I am beggining to think I got ripped off. I bought a laptop from a person on ebay and it seems to be locked.

I hear I have to get the master bios pasword for it but I am so confused, theres no way I can take the laptop apart that is not an option....

someone please help me get a master password!

A:Dell Inspiron 1720 Bios Password

10$ to who ever gets the master password

I will pay 10 bucks paypal to whoever gets the correct password...

i have a dell inspirion 1720
service tag 42kxqf1

and express service code is 8863227901
email me at email removed. com with password, if it works i gurantee a payment immediatly

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1720-bios-password.104387/
Relevancy 84.71%

If your trying to change a bios setting or Reformat any of the newer Dell Laptop's you may run into this issue! There is an Administrator password you will be prompted for. I believe this is created at the factory and unplugging the bios battery no longer does the trick! I tried many different passwords combos and found that:

<dell> all lowercase and minus the brackets works for a few of the newer Dell Laptops

Good Luck,

Frajile-

A:Dell Bios Admin Password/Inspiron 1720

That makes no sense at all. If it were true then Dell would have to provide the password as part of the information it provides to customers when they buy the laptop. Anything else would subject them to being sued.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/126415-dell-bios-admin-password-inspiron-1720-a.html
Relevancy 80.84%

Alright here goes I am trying to fix my brother-in-law's Dell Inspiron Laptop He accidentally spilt water into 1720 problem Boot Dell Inspiron it And it wouldn't power on I took everything apart and blew it dry and I got it to where it will power on but not start up Windows I also took out the harddrive and put it into my desktop to see if it was okay It is fine It starts up by itself and runs no problem Once I put it back into the laptop It finally got to the point where the Windows OS Dell Inspiron 1720 Boot problem was loading But it would keep freezing on that screen So I took the HDD back out played around with a few things and when I put it back in and now I can't get the OS to load at all again Also I am having a problem getting into the Bios Before It was a - shot of letting me into the bios The Laptop would load all Dell Inspiron 1720 Boot problem the way through the dell screen and go to a black screen with a blinking underscore I want to try to go into the bios and set it to boot from the secondary HDD slot and just move the HDD over cuz the first HDD slot may have gotten messed up with the water The only problem is now it wont let me get into the bios Any ideas on how to get into the bios I tried unplugging the battery and bios-battery to see if it would recognize the new setting cuz thats how I was getting into the bios before But now it wont let me into the bios at all I also forgot to say that the laptop has Windows Vista- bit Thanks Mike P S Now after the dell screen loads It goes to a black screen that says Invalid configuration information - please run SETUP program Its not picking up the re-install disk either IDK whats going on Yet the HDD is fine because it starts right up by itself on my desktop

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/205787/dell-inspiron-1720-boot-problem/
Relevancy 79.98%

My Dell 1720 Laptop (Vista) had the following error:
The file header checksum does not match the computer checksum

I tried to restore to factory settings F11 but the laptop wouldn't let me.

Tried to restore from Dells disk but the computer wouldn't load the restore disk.

Now the computer on startup has a black screen and will not boot up. None of the F keys will work. Keyboard was working fine until this error.

I decided to purchase a new hard drive. Installed the new drive and the computer is doing the same thing.

Any ideas?

A:Dell Inspiron 1720 Black Screen Will Not Boot

1) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) What do you mean the "laptop wouldn't let you" restore to factory settings?

3) What do you mean it "wouldn't load the restore disk"?

4) You replaced the drive and now have a blank hd in the system?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/410097/dell-inspiron-1720-black-screen-will-not-boot/
Relevancy 76.97%

I placed a SSD in my new Dell, copied the HDD to the SSD via Minitool Partition Wizard and now want to change the boot sequence so it starts from the SSD. In the UEFI I only see the options:
Windows Boot manager
NIC IPv4
NIC IPv6
How do I get the laptop to start from the SSD?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19981707
Relevancy 75.68%

I am on a Dell Inspiron and when I boot the system most of the time I get an error before the BIOS loads that reads as follows quot The Device in the system modular bay cannot be identified It may not be completely inserted or may have some other problem Please read and complete the following steps Press the device completely and firmly into the bay Press the ESC-key -- wait issue issue/boot-up bay Dell modular Inspiron for the system to power Dell Inspiron modular bay issue/boot-up issue down Press the power button to retry detecting the device quot My BIOS version was just recently updated as I Dell Inspiron modular bay issue/boot-up issue ran into the problem to BIOS Revision A I Dell Inspiron modular bay issue/boot-up issue called Dell Technical Support and the support told me to remove the optical drive and reinsert it I did as told I booted the system up and before the BIOS loads bam error once again The technical support didn t even know what to do The support said that I may have a failing mobo Now how would one go about seeing if their mobo was failing I d really love to check this before actually going to purchase another mobo Hell purchasing a brand new computer or building my own considering I am sick of Dell s erroneous electronics nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron modular bay issue/boot-up issue

You should first try a second hard drive with a full install. That usually fixes the problems with the 1100, 1150, 5100m, 5150, and 5160 which all seem to have the same problems.
Remember that this optical drive is fragile, and has a history of failure. New models are available with DVD RW that are quite reliable, on eBay. They range from $72 to $85 to $89 to $95. If you are good with tools, you can get the generic one, then revise the hardware to make everything fit just fine.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-modular-bay-issue-boot-up-issue.86568/
Relevancy 74.39%

I recently April bought a Dell Inspiron computer boot using 8? I do How 15 Inspiron in Windows change the Dell order sequence a GB of Ram and GB hard drive with Windows installed I have created a backup image of the OS and also burned a bootable disk so that I can reinstall Windows at a future date My old computer which uses Win XP permits me to change the boot order sequence by How do I change the boot order sequence in a Dell Inspiron 15 using Windows 8? using the f key during the startup process to access the BIOS and then edit the boot order sequence so that the machine boots from a DVD or USB drive This makes it possible to restore a backup image from a previous date or even to use a different OS e g Linux My problem is that the f key does not work on the new machine and I do not know how to create a boot order sequence that will permit me to boot from a DVD or USB drive instead of the hard drive So at this point I cannot use the bootable recovery disk that I How do I change the boot order sequence in a Dell Inspiron 15 using Windows 8? prepared I understand that there is now UEFI technology that controls booting Question How can I make make the new computer boot from a DVD or USB drive Thanks in advance Regards Thoughtful Skeptic

A:How do I change the boot order sequence in a Dell Inspiron 15 using Windows 8?

Immediately after pressing the power button start tapping the f2 key until the BIOS opens.

Be sure to change the BIOS to Legacy, then change the boot order to what you need.

Press f10 to save the changes, you may be asked to press Y to confirm your choice, the exit the BIOS.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/533375/how-do-i-change-the-boot-order-sequence-in-a-dell-inspiron-15-using-windows-8/
Relevancy 73.96%

I am trying to upgrade my OS from Vista to 7 Ultimate. I can not access the bios boot sequence to allow me to change to dvd. It get's to the screen for me to hit f2 or f12 but freezes there. I figured the bios may need to be reset, so I removed the hard drive so it will force me to select a device to boot from and then I would select my 7 ultimate dvd...or so I thought. It starts the process and then interupts. so I jumped the b500 circuit and restarted the laptop to see if that would reset the bios...nothin.
Please help. I have exhausted what I believe is all my efforts and knowledge.
Thanks in advance.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bios-boot-sequence.155739/
Relevancy 73.1%

I have no clue how to change the boot sequence on my older Dell which I am trying to raise from the the dead The option to boot from CD is at the bottom of the list and I assume it should be first The darn PC won t boot from the original CD WinXP Home so I made the floppies After they were installed I was asked to insert the XP Home disk into the drive Fine it started loading some files then it asked me to insert the WinXP Service Pack disk into the drive well I don t have Solved: Help sequence in BIOS boot with that and one would think it should be on the manufacturer s Solved: Help with boot sequence in BIOS CD right I could go no further with that Went to the MS site to see if I could d l it there but I am using the new PC to do it with and Solved: Help with boot sequence in BIOS MS tells me I am up to date and don t need anything else What the heck can I do I am Solved: Help with boot sequence in BIOS hoping it s only the boot sequence causing this I also tried using floppies of the Pro edition and installing XP Pro but it won t copy all the files I was able to get to the Windows Logon screen after installing the Pro edition but then it died and gave me this message quot Non-system disk or disk error quot It did that with XP Home also HELP TIA nbsp

Relevancy 73.1%

I am trying to get to the boot sequence settings in the BIOS and I have forgotten the administrator password. Afgter 3 unsuccessful attemts, I get the following message 50902428. Can you help me get in?

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Need to change the boot sequence in the BIOS

When asked for password try 45660408

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Need-to-change-the-boot-sequence-in-the-BIOS/td-p/5789430
Relevancy 73.1%

I have an old pc that is trying to boot off the floppy. I need to know what in the 1st boot device sequence I need to set it to boot off the harddrive. Thanks in Advance, Gary

A:Bios Boot Sequence help needed

what system make is it..there are different methods for getting into the bios to change the boot order depending on the system make

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-boot-sequence-help-needed.594531/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hello,

I am using the tutorial on resizing a partition using the GParted Live CD.

The computer is an old Compaq Presario 700 with XP.

It has a floppy drive and it will not boot from the CD I made.

The instructions say "Note: You may need to change the boot sequence in you BIOS to boot from the CD drive."

I can't find instructions on how to do that, can anyone help?

Thank you.

I am doing this for practice.

A:change the boot sequence in BIOS

You need to get into setup as the computer first starts to boot, you may have to watch the screen as it goes through the boot sequence to whit key that machine uses. there are few variations, what for hit # so & so to enter setup. Once in setup take time to digest how to get round and what the different screens allow you to do. Amongst the menus you will find where to set the boot sequence, seat it to you CD drive and exit it will ask if you want to save changes. That should do it, if there is any problem or it just won't work on that machine go back into setup and choose default bios settings all will go back to factory board setup.

Phil

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/218706/change-the-boot-sequence-in-bios/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi, i have a Presario CQ61 laptop and i cant change the boot up sequence in Bios. When i do get into bios i cant get the arrows to move up or down,the arrows seem to be 'stuck' which means i cant change it to boot/start from a usb stick or dvd/cd drive. I have tried  pressing other buttons on the keyboard but it still doesnt work.Saying that though i can still move the cursor/arrows left or right,Thx

A:cant change boot sequence in bios

Hi, The boot priority set in the bios is often ignored anyway, but you could try the following. Insert the Boot Media and Shutdown the notebook. Tap away at the esc key as soon as you press the power button to enter the Start-up Menu and then select the Boot Options Menu ( f9 ). Use the arrow keys to highlight the CDROM or USB Flash Driver option, depending on which typre of media you're using, then hit enter - if prompted to 'Press any key to continue....' - do so. Regards, DP-K

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/cant-change-boot-sequence-in-bios/td-p/5606347
Relevancy 72.67%

I was trying to change the boot priority in the harddrive group of the BIOS. It says on the right side to use + or - to move the devices up or down. I wanted to move the 2. disk (Intel) into first place. But with +/- nothing moved. I tried 2 different keyboards, but no luck. Anybody have an idea what could be the problem?

A:Problem changing boot sequence in BIOS

Which plus/minus's are you using? the numpad ones? or the ones on the top row next to bkspace?

If numpad ones, don't forget to enable the numlock

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/43905-problem-changing-boot-sequence-bios.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I have an IDE removeable hard drive. After removing it, the BIOS changes the boot sequence and attempts to start from a drive that does not have an OS on it.

What I want to do is to find a way to, at least, nail down my C: which has its own partition on one of the two hard drives that are permanently in the computer.

Likewise, it does the same thing all over again after I re-insert the removeable hard drive into its slot.

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/stop-the-bios-from-changing-boot-sequence.822559/
Relevancy 72.67%

Im trying to install a fresh clean copy of windows from ISO I put on a bootable usb When I go to change my boot sequence in my BIOS menu before startup I get an order of boot sequences My Usb is detected in the list as well even 7 Loading up in Bios its sequence? the Windows not When HDD boot as my SATA gb HDD with my old windows os HDD Loading up Windows 7 Bios When its not even in the boot sequence? on it Well the problem is I can select the Bootable USB to be the boot sequence Device as well as for the rest of them I can literally make every single one selected to Boot from the USB but no matter what I try my stupid windows keeps loading up and starting from my HDD How is that even possible if my HDD isnt even selected in the boot sequence and why wont my USB work Ive also tried iso to bootable DVD and selected that in the boot sequence but it does the same thing Please help ive been trying to do this for a week bought dvds usb flash drives and still nothings working

A:HDD Loading up Windows 7 Bios When its not even in the boot sequence?

Hi Talksick,
My bios has a remove from boot order option take it yours hasn't.

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/393184-hdd-loading-up-windows-7-bios-when-its-not-even-boot-sequence.html
Relevancy 71.81%

i', trying to fix a friends PC - other post in this forum has provide the details however i cannot understand the boot sequence (note i am trying to fix remotely by phone)

Award Medallion BIOS v6.0, An Energy Star Ally
asus a7v-133 acpi bios revision 1005a

the boot menu
this implies a boot sequence

1) cd rom
2) floppy
3) dvd
4) ide harddrive

however, it wont boot a bootable CD or a bootable floppy - it it does is boot he hardrive - unfortunately the problem with the PC is it boots up logs in and then logs out again

cant find any manual / screen shots so i can see how to change sequence and if indeed this is the sequence.

In order to fix this PC i need to boot from the CD or floppy to copy a system file - or if all else fails rebuild the system.

other post here
http://forums.techguy.org/t279306.html

Relevancy 71.81%

When my bios boot sequence is set to boot from CD, a 'press any key to boot from disk' sign should come up during boot-up.
It doesn't (it always used to when I set CD drive, not HD as first boot). I have not got the bios HD set as first boot, but have set it to boot from CD as first boot. When I boot up it goes straight to my HD / XP OS !

I need to boot from disk and I can't work out why the bios boot sequence I have set and saved is being ignored. My bios is not buggy and has never caused any problems until this issue. I have a MSI K9N Platinum mobo.

Relevancy 70.95%

hello!! i'm a newby, in need of some serious help!! i just bought a new KT333 dragon motherboard, with an athlon 2100 processor, all new everything really. i'm trying to get in to format my hard drives, and when i'm in the bios, it only shows "floppy" as my choice, and i can't get it to change the boot sequence so i can boot from the cdrom (my windows xp disk). please help! i'm tired of calling and being on hold for 30+ minutes with soyo company!! thank you in advance for any help or ideas!!

Relevancy 70.09%

Does any1 have the download for this bios? cauz i dont have it and i need it to fix the pc

BIOS Type: Award Modular BIOS v6.0
BIOS ID: 10/28/2002-I845PE/ICH4/IT8708-P4PE
BIOS Date: 20021028
BIOS Vendor: Award Software, Inc.
BIOS Version: ASUS P4PE ACPI BIOS Revision 1002
BIOS Size: 524288
Chipset: Intel 2560 rev 2
OEM Sign-on: ASUS P4PE ACPI BIOS Revision 1002
Motherboard Model: System Name
System Name: Chassis Manufacture
System Model: Chassis Version
Base Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Base Product: P4PE

A:Award Modular Bios V6.0 Bios Download

Custom built PC? Post the full model number and revision (rev) of the Motherboard, it will be printed on the motherboard.

If it is a Store bought PC, what make and model is it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/award-modular-bios-v6-0-bios-download.903519/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi all
I run win 7 sp1 on dell inspiron 1520
Its dvd-writer was damaged, so i bought an external Transcend dvd-writer and its working properly but when i insert a bootable cd in it and want to boot the
windows from it, the windows does not recognize it and boots normally from internal hard driver as usuall.
I am sure the cd is bootable and have tested it in other systems.
whats the problem ?
thanks.

A:My dell inspiron 1520 does not recognize external dvd rom while boot

Apologies if you have done this:
When you try to boot from the Ext USB DVD drive, you will need to start up the boot menu (most bios's use F12) and select USB-CDROM -- I remember getting caught out thinking it would just be CDROM

Let us know

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/195409-my-dell-inspiron-1520-does-not-recognize-external-dvd-rom-while-boot.html
Relevancy 66.22%

Vista premium
Downloaded and installed SP1, now Laptop woun't boot

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-1720.734649/
Relevancy 66.22%

Hello i wonder if anyone can help me out i have a problem with my DVD RW in my Dell inspiron 1720 in the device manager it shows i have this DVD TSST corp DVD + RW TS-L632H ATA Device but Dell shows i have a GSA T21N 12.7 IDE DVD +/- RW my dvd worked fine when i installed my new McAfee Anti Virus now i hear it run when i put a dvd or cd in it but nothing comes up so in my works CAN ANY ONE HELP ME

A:DVD not working in my inspiron 1720

Welcome
Go to search type device manager, in device manager be sure that you have the correct driver. If not uninstall, go to the website and download the proper driver.
If the problem is tied into the Anti Virus. uninstall and use Microsoft Security its free and awesome.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/286905-dvd-not-working-my-inspiron-1720-a.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi again I ve been having some problems with my computer lately beginning May which began when I finally got tied of fixing XP I defaulted and asked a local computer store to install Gigabyte 8KNXPUltra, Modular *Award FJ settings with BIOS* Win Home Premium onto my WD Gb IDE drive which I Gigabyte 8KNXPUltra, FJ with *Award Modular BIOS* settings had purchased from them months prior About two or three weeks later my MoBo suspiciously started to fail Not one to cast aspersions I took it back and paid them another AUD to tell me that it was the MoBo then paid another Gigabyte 8KNXPUltra, FJ with *Award Modular BIOS* settings Gigabyte reseller to confirm the same who was Gigabyte 8KNXPUltra, FJ with *Award Modular BIOS* settings intrigued that if you flicked the board on the bench it would re- boot as though someone had been a little over zealous in tending to it So three GA- KNXP with DPS and two GA- KNXPUltra FJ MoBo s LATER I finally attached my WD Gb HDD Win to a new configuration thats the configuration not the MoBo they re all nd hand from my mates in China AND WOW Microsoft Critical Updates Conflicts and my Nvidia GeForce AGP card still not updating correctly Call to Microsoft was within the three day window for validation of install who suggested clean install which is fine as in the three weeks Win was in use I was mostly just finding my way around the newest OS offering from Microsoft The Win boot disc would not load The support staff sugested I download a new Win iso incase the Genuine DVD was corrupted Still not working was suggested the Drive might be the issue just happened that I had a new SSD in the draw Was able to atleast format that using the broken Win I actually believe that if I knew how to change the BIOS settings to reflect what I am trying to get the OS to run installed in the bays of my machine I would atleast have a platform to begin to get a stable boot- to-OS Which the gentle folk at Microsoft would at least have a greater opportunity at a successful transition of OS The board I m using is just too OLD for the young- guns of today I have updated my BIOS using the Gigabyte bios program here I need to know the settings needed to configure the board GA- KNXPUltra FJ here with the Award Modular BIOS v PG copyrighted - to see just the HDD SSD just as conected drives NOT as SICI RAID devices A manual to assist with the CMOS Setup quot Award quot Utility perhaps it might be useful Sorry if this seems to be a RANT Does anyone have any recollection of these times gone by please Edit I had a copy of Ubuntu-KK- and when I ran it as a live CD I found that the SSD that I had set as the Boot from device was prefaced with name sici- ID number of drive size of drive in Kb nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/gigabyte-8knxpultra-fj-with-award-modular-bios-settings.188678/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello all,

I have a minor problem.

When I am listening to music, sometimes the sound is distorted for a short period of time.
This also happens if I return from a break, and my display turns on when I move the mouse (while the music is still playing).

If I just listen to music, and don't do other things, it does not occur as far as I tested.

Below is the screen shot of the sound device driver I currently use:

Thanks in advance for teaching me.

zx81

A:SigmaTel dell inspiron 1720

I have an XPS M1710 and the sound has always been messed up. Now that I've installed Win7 I don't have any sound at all.

I think it is an issue with SigmaTel. I've tried about every driver I can think of and still can't get it to work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/36166-sigmatel-dell-inspiron-1720-a.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi all,

I've been working on my MIL's laptop for a while now on and off.
We have completed a fresh install of Win Vista recently which has eliminated many of the issues, but the machine is still occasionally BSODing.

Here's the Speccy URL
http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sakpd0brIy3cRIH78f20KDq

And there's a Viewer output attached as HTML file.

Please let me know your thoughts?!

Andrew

A:Dell Inspiron 1720 BSOD's

Looking at the BSODs...I would start with a check of the hard drive itself.

You want to run the long/extended test...you do not want to do anything other than that so do not elect any other options which the diagnostic utility may offer.

Guide, SeaTools For DOS - http://www.seagate.com/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOSguide.pdf

SeaTools for DOS Download - http://www.seagate.com/support/internal-hard-drives/consumer-electronics/ld25-series/seatools-dos-master/

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516820/dell-inspiron-1720-bsods/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello all!

I want to report that I successfully installed Windows 7 Home Premium x64 on my Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop.

Only driver needed was latest Nvidea driver for Geforce 8600M GT.
You have to enable Aero manualy, I forgot how I did it ;-)

A very minor driver isue is still not solved, but overall everything works great.
Base System Device no driver

Experience Index 4.7, well I am satisfied with the way Windows 7 Feels and look.

Another thing I am investigating is why Windows Vista is still in the boot menu, and this while I deleted the vista partition and formated it before clean install.

Questions are always welcome, I will try to answer them.

Have a nice day!

zx81

A:Dell Inspiron 1720 x64 success!

I was wondering if you've found a work around for the touch pad. I installed W7 home premium 64-bit. The scroll bars on my touch pad don't work any more. I looked for a driver for it and no help from dell. Any input would be most appreciated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/33077-dell-inspiron-1720-x64-success.html
Relevancy 65.79%

have had a new dell computer since late dec. '07. worked fine(although i do not care for vista)until sunday morning. when i powered up the computer it went to a screen that said "windows recovory system" and gave me 4 options to start up. in safe mode, safe mode with networking and with command prompt. or to start it up normally. none of those worked. once past that screen, the screen just stayed dark with the white cursor showing in the middle. tried to fix by going in through the advanced boot options, repairs computer selection. tried to do a start up repair from there and that did not work. so, before i do a factory restore, has anyone heard of this problem happening? and if so, any solution idea's other than a factory restore? thanks All

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-dell-inspiron-1720-wont-start-up.685768/
Relevancy 65.79%

My Dell constantly reboots itself and says it's dumping memory Here's the most recent event 1720 w/Intel Inspiron Dell G It's running slow and I can't run D games from Dell Inspiron 1720 w/Intel G Big Fish We don't do any hard core gaming but we do love Big Fish Here's my stats Intel Core Duo CPU T GHz GB RAM Bit OS Vista Home Premium Serv Pk Product Detected Intel GM Current Driver Installed Can anyone give us a Dell Inspiron 1720 w/Intel G clue as to what to do Big Fish said my graphics card needs to be replaced but it's integrated so do I need a new motherboard inorder to get a new graphics card Any suggestions appreciated Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Files that help describe the problem some files may no longer be available Mini - dmp sysdata xml Version txt View a temporary copy of these files Warning If a virus or other security threat caused the problem Dell Inspiron 1720 w/Intel G opening a copy of the files could harm your computer Extra information about the problem BCCode e BCP C BCP F C BCP C EC BCP OS Version Service Pack Product Server information a da a-e b - bc- e - bd a da

A:Dell Inspiron 1720 w/Intel G

Before we can help solve the problem 100% please upload the dump files that are created from the blue screens.

Its more than likely the video drivers but just to be sure please upload the dump.

Search .dmp in the start box wait for the results then right click it, then choose open containing folder. Find the most recent dump, right click that put it in a zip folder then post it here. Thanks

Please download the latest video drivers here [this is based off the info posted above]

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...17407&lang=eng

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/249665-dell-inspiron-1720-w-intel-g.html
Relevancy 65.79%

My Dell ls ALWAYS USING 1.08 GB OF RAM EVEN IF IM DOING NOTHING! THIS IS GETTING ON MY NERVES! PLEASE HELP
Delinspiron1720

PS I HAVE 3.00 GB OF RAM

A:Dell Inspiron 1720 LAGGGGG PLEASE HELP!

Hi and welcome to TSG.

What process have you got running? Everything in your taskbar and more will use a bit of memory to run.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-1720-laggggg-please-help.843343/
Relevancy 65.79%

Laptop has been randomly blue screening since I bought it around years ago it doesn t matter what applications programmes are running if any there is no pattern sometimes it will be or weeks BSOD Dell help Inspiron please 1720 between crashes other times it can be days or hours There has been no damage to the laptop I m the only person who uses it and can confirm it has not been dropped banged etc I replaced the hard drive in January with a brand new BSOD Dell Inspiron 1720 please help one BSOD Dell Inspiron 1720 please help and the problem was still occurring so this week I replaced it again and it crashed less than an hour after clean install of genuine windows OS OS-Vista home premium came pre-installed with back up DVD -Bit AGE- I have owned for years was sold to me as return unwanted AGE of OS-Clean reinstall this week CPU- Intel Core Duo CPU T GHz GHz Video Card-Mobile Intel Express Chipset Family hope this is the right thing Mother Board- Dell Inc UK Bus Clock megahertz BIOS Dell Inc A Power Supply-Brand Wattage-Dell ac dc adapter input - v A - Hz output v A Thank you for taking the time to try BSOD Dell Inspiron 1720 please help and help it is appreciated Tracey

A:BSOD Dell Inspiron 1720 please help

Hi.

Please do a Windows Update to install Service Pack 2. You are only using Vista without any SP.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/bsod-dell-inspiron-1720-please-help-484460.html
Relevancy 65.79%

My daughter has an Inspiron 1720 which I use when she is away at university. We have bought and installed Windows 7 ultimate, otherwise the laptop is as bought. What upgrades, either hardwar or software can any one recommend? No geek speak please as I am only semi computer literate. A summary of the machine is as follows.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate , Service Pack 1, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7100 @ 1.80GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2038 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 384 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 139738 MB, Free - 88647 MB; D: Total - 10239 MB, Free - 4896 MB;
Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0UW524, , .4L9P13J.CN4864377E0834.
Antivirus: AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition 2011, Updated and Enabled

Relevancy 65.79%

Hello had the quot great quot idea of downloading some up-to-date drivers from Dell Support Center a couple of weeks ago and the result was no sound even though the sound was working perfectly before Never updated any drivers in this year old laptop before Now I have a red cross over the 1720 + 32-bit Dell Vista Inspiron speaker icon and when I Dell Inspiron 1720 + Vista 32-bit click on Open Volume Mixer it says quot no audio device is installed quot Steps I tried in order -rollback the drivers couldn t do it it was greyed out -uninstall and delete the driver software in Device Manager and let Vista install whatever drivers it had in store for it didn t help -did a restart holding the Fn key to check if the sound card had been damaged and was no longer working passed all the sound tests sound card is OK -tried some free tools from the net regarding driver repsir registry repair PC repair etc didn t help -tried some crazy solutions from the net Microsoft Techie Forum such as doing a quot scan for hardware changes quot under Device Manager and turn the machine on and off many times in sequence didn t help -for some reason I had no restore points saved in order to restore the entire machine to a previous date I think nCleaner a free tool from the net cleaned my restore points as well -the DVD-ROM in this machine broke for lack of use I suppose never used it since day because I have an external one I only have the rescue disk from Dell and not the actual Vista disk so I cannot reinstall Vista and reformat the hard drive from the external DVD-ROM I tried and it didn t work even going in the BIOS setup and changing the boot order -Last step paid to Dell Tech Support and wasted hours on the phone with the guy for him to tell me at the end that he couldn t help because my DVD-ROM was broken but Dell can replace my non-working DVD-ROM so that I could reinstall Vista for So I don t recommend anyone out there to use Dell Tech Support for out of warranty machines -I don t have the knowledge to go into the Registry and removing whatever in there is related to the sound card and maybe let Vista treat is as new hardware and reinstall the original quot old quot drivers if that is even possible -Any help will be appreciated before I throw the machine in the garbage Thanks in advance Regards Disco nbsp

Relevancy 65.79%

I have installed windows 7 two day ago from th start i am facing graphics issues when playing video and also when browsing it is smooth experience please suggest any solution for this problem.

System config
Inspiron 1720
Processor: Intel core 2 2.4 gh
display: Nvdia 8400gs

A:Inspiron 1720 Graphics problem

I take it that the laptop is using the generic VGA drivers for your graphics controller.

Dell does not list any Windows 7 drivers, but you could try the Vista ones:

Drivers & Downloads

If they install, you may be able to update then via WIndows Update or with the latest drivers from www.nvidia.com.

If the Vista drivers won't install, things get more complex. It's common for laptop makers to use custom device IDs for their graphics controllers, so standard installers may not recognize the controller.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/171882-inspiron-1720-graphics-problem.html
Relevancy 65.79%

A friend gave this Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop that the hard drive had crashed. when I pulled the the hard drive out and installed a gently used hard drive into it, it would not start windows. It would look like it was going to start but before I could get to a desktop, it would restart. Not a big deal, but when I tried to go back to step one and install windows XP, the installation software acted like if did not have a hard drive in it. What I want to do at this point is reformat the drive and install a clean copy of Windows XP. Any help would be appreciated. Is there a setting in CMOS I need to address?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-1720-woes.959176/
Relevancy 65.79%

I now own my brother's Inspiron 1720 laptop. He passed away in March. I wish to reinstall the OS but I do not have the disk. How can I get the reinstall disk?
It currently has Windows 7 Home Premium on it, so I would like to reinstall that, even though the label says Windows Vista Home Premium, so I would also like to find out how to upgrade it to that again.
I've tried several downloads of Vista and Win 7 with the product keys listed on the label to no avail.
Thank you so much!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19982708
Relevancy 65.79%

I bought this quot Dell Inspiron just over a year ago A week ago I was using it and everything was running just fine I turned around to do something for less than five minutes and when I returned the computer was turned off I pressed the power button no power no lights to indicate any power is going to the unit I checked my power supply tried different power outlets to no avail power 1720 Inspiron Dell on No When I would plug the power supply in the green light would come on indicating the unit was working but as soon as I plugged it into the back of the laptop when I put my ear to the power supply there would be a little zap No power on Dell Inspiron 1720 and the green light would go out Thinking it was the power supply I had some friends bring over their Dell power supplies The P- two prong power supply It did the same with theirs The next thing I checked was to see whether or not the battery had any power left It did When I pressed the button on the back it had lights indicating it was full So before I go and have to more than likely shell out lots of money to someone to fix it I would like to know if any one else has come across this same thing and what it may be Thanks nbsp

A:No power on Dell Inspiron 1720

Remove the battery.
Plug in the power supply. Ensure the system is powered off.
Remove all external peripherals.
Press and hold the <Fn> key on the keyboard.
Continue to hold the <Fn> key while pressing the power button.
Release both buttons.

See if that works. If not, go here and run this diagnostic.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/no-power-on-dell-inspiron-1720.133432/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hello. I need help. My Dell laptop will not power on. It just loads this Dell media direct thing when I hit the bottom with the house. The power button will not power the laptop on. Please help, my kids have to do their homework!!!!

A:Dell inspiron 1720 help needed

have you tried plugging it into the wall with AC Adapter versus the battery?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-1720-help-needed.951314/
Relevancy 65.79%

Wired connection is working in the DM the Network Controller has the Yellow question mark I tried all drivers here http www on Inspiron get 1720? wireless to how connection dell com support drivers us en Product inspiron- but cannot get the wireless working I moved the wireless switch to the right does how to get wireless connection Inspiron on 1720? not how to get wireless connection Inspiron on 1720? light up I looked on the net for help and found this First check if the Wireless Switch is turned on The switch is on left side of the system Then check if you are able to detect wireless networks If that does not work then I how to get wireless connection Inspiron on 1720? suggest you uninstall and reinstall the Wireless Card driver To uninstall click on start right click on My Computer click on properties click on device manager click on the symbol next to Network right click on Dell card and click on uninstall click ok to confirm Once its removed do no restart your computer click on the below link to download and install the updated driver and then restart your computer When I click on the sign next to Network Adapters I am only seeing Broadcom x Integrated Controller help please

A:how to get wireless connection Inspiron on 1720?

Sounds like the switch may be bad. Have you tried a little USB WiFi adapter? They're pretty cheap.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/507634/how-to-get-wireless-connection-inspiron-on-1720/
Relevancy 65.79%

Ok Inspiron Fan 1720 Noise! Clicking so I bought my Inspiron about months ago but it has started to make weird noises coming from the fan And they drive me insane Initially I tough it was the hard drive Inspiron 1720 Fan Clicking Noise! and Inspiron 1720 Fan Clicking Noise! now I have a brand new hard drive brought to me by DELL but after more examination there is no doubt that it is the fan Here are the details - the clicking can be heard only when the fans are on and most notably when they are going slower - the clicks are pretty inconsistent with each other and appear at random times - the clicking disappears if I stop the fans with a program - the clicking kinda disappears if I flip the notebook http forums techguy org hardware -harddrive-fan-making-rapid-clicking html - I believe that this guy has a similar problem My question is - should I begin the dreadful process of contacting dell again or do you like me think that it is a cable or something and that I should open the fan By the way when I was opening to see my HDD there was screw missing so there is some doubt in my mind that the laptop wasn t assembled very thoroughly nbsp

Relevancy 64.93%

Desperation is an understatement. UPto two days ago, my Inspiron 1720 with Windows Vista Home Premium pack 1, worked like magic. Then OUTLOOK hung and stopped responding, until re-launched, followed by Wndows Explorer, Task Manager failed to load, Backup/Restore page loaded but was blank, the Network/Internet wifi connection stopped working and vanished. None of the SAFE boot up versions load. On Dell's test programme it hangs at Memory Event Log Status Test. Windows Explorer can work most of the time on the basis of lottery!
Please, please help.
Kind regards,
Georgebundle

A:Progressive loss of function on Inspiron 1720

Welcome to TSF, sorry to hear your system is causing so much havoc....

Hanging at Memory Event Log Status Test and never completeing would make me suspect faulty memory. I would first remove the ram and then replace, could have had chip creep....if this does not fix the issue try Try Windows Memory Diagnostic Test
http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

The Windows Memory Diagnostic tests the Random Access Memory (RAM) on your computer for errors. The diagnostic includes a comprehensive set of memory tests. If you are experiencing problems while running Windows, you can use the diagnostic to determine whether the problems are caused by failing hardware, such as RAM or the memory system of your motherboard. Windows Memory Diagnostic is designed to be easy and fast. On most configurations, you can download the diagnostic, read the documentation, run the test and complete the first test pass in less than 30 minutes.

Or you can try memtest

Try one of those, please post back the results.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/progressive-loss-of-function-on-inspiron-1720-a-369702.html
Relevancy 64.93%

PLEASE.  HELP  ME.   MY COMPUTER CONTINUES TO  "SHUT  DOWN"  EVERY 20 MINUTES.  I  DO  NOT  KNOW  WHY,  OR  WHAT  IS  HAPPENING.  . . . . . . . . 
I AM UNEMPLOYED AND IN DESPERATE NEED OF APPLYING FOR DIFFERENT JOBS(!), ...but cannot complete ANYTHING in 20 minutes' time.   PLEASE  ANSWER  ME  SOON  -  WITH  THE  BEST  SOLUTION  TO MY PROBLEM...... 
My battery is charging, with 97% full.           *"THANK  YOU"!*

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/704dc36a-853f-4e6d-a6a3-b2d01f8acafa/2008-1720-dell-inspiron-laptop?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 64.93%

If the computer is booted normally, the screen is corrupt during BIOS self-test and then turns completely black when Windows runs.
If the Fn key is pressed to do a diagnostic boot, the screen is corrupt at first.  When the screen is supposed to turn blue with white text for memory testing etc., the screen is black.  When the VGA test starts, the audio tones can be heard.  The VGA test falls back to displaying solid colours instead of stripes.  At that time the screen actually shows the solid colours, changing from each colour to the next, but no text.
What part needs replacing?
Dell Inspiron 1720, Nvidia graphics adapter, WUXGA screen.

A:How to fix Inspiron 1720 video / graphics / display?

The video card needs to be replaced.  There are two -- the nVidia 8400GS and the 8600GT.  Both of these are well known for faulty engineering (nVidia settled a class action years ago regarding these) -- though you can probably still find them around, bear in mind they're all used and likely to fail again, even if you replace the card. 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3519/t/19605251
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi.

Got a socket on the back of my ispiron 1720 to connect tv. It looks like an s-video but it's got holes for 7 pins instead of 4. Will a normal s video cable work?

Any help would be appreciated don't know much about this.

A:how to connect dell inspiron 1720 to television

The manual will show you how to hook it up on page 63. If you don't have the manual:
Direct download to Dell Inspiron 1720 Owner's Manual: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins1720/en/om_en/pdf/DT5494MR.pdf

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-connect-dell-inspiron-1720-to-television.957208/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello out there I have a Dell Inspiron running Vista Home Premium I use Photodex Proshow Producer to author AV presentations using music Refresh Inspiron Rate Dell 1720 with and images Ever since purchasing this laptop months ago I have had problems with what I believe may be Refresh Rate with Dell Inspiron 1720 refresh rate In the AV show transitions from one picture to another in fact any slide activity involving motion seems jerky or flickery The computer is fitted with a NVIDIA GeForce Go M GT graphics card with mb DDR dedicated memory I am using a laptop screen resolution of x In the Windows on-screen help files on refresh rate it recommends a rate of not less than Hertz yet my screen is set at Hertz and there appears to be no options for other rates to be selected Could it be the refresh rate that is causing this jerkyness of operation If so is it possible to change the graphics card for one with a refresh rate greater than Hertz Cheers

A:Refresh Rate with Dell Inspiron 1720

and welcome to the Forum

How much system RAM do you have? I doubt the refresh rate is the probloem, and it can't be changed at any rate. Have you installed the newest nvidia drivers?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/refresh-rate-with-dell-inspiron-1720-a-428038.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I installed a new battery on my Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop. The computer was on most of the day. After it had been shut down the battery light flashed constantly. The same thing happened the next day. Is there something else I should be doing? Surely it doesn't take that long for the new battery to charge?

I have Win7, FF, MSE and Malwarebytes. I also run Word 7.
Can anyone advise me please?

Relevancy 64.93%

I put a new hard drive in my year old Inspiron laptop I installed the Windows Vista operating system Discovered after it was installed that I was supposed to install the Dell Media Direct BEFORE the OS Found instructions online how to install Media Direct if OS already installed Instructions I followed turn on computer Press Inspiron 1720 on install Laptop Windows won't F repeatedly during startup until quot Preparing one-time boot menu quot appears insert Dell MediaDirect CD and arrow down to quot CD DVD quot press enter choose your preferred hard drive partition option I selected Option to designated all hard drive to OS remove the MediaDirect CD insert Windows Operating System CD and reboot computer Press F again for the boot menu Arrow to CD DVD again and press enter to begin installation process This is the furthest I could get Windows won't install on Inspiron 1720 Laptop It will install Media Direct successfully but then I put the OS disk in and hit enter and all it shows on the upper left corner of the screen is quot Press any key to boot from CD or DVD quot It does NOTHING when you quot press any key quot I ve tried to just install the OS and it does the same thing I have NO IDEA what else I can do Any suggestions would be most appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 64.93%

my laptop has an 8600m gt is there any other laptop vid card that is better than this, and can i even upgrade this one? thanks

warranty is not an issue as it is already expired.

thanks in advance for any help or suggestions

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-1720-vidcard-question.760629/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi all
Initially launching windows result in error message ,"NTLDR is missing" as The recovery repair feature couldn't help, we opted for more radical solution nd rebuilt the bootloader using the prompt command from scratch. Now when rebooting screen start loading nd then go blank with cursor..when I press the Dell media command "MD PARTITION MISSING" comes up...
I m trying to avoid reinstalling vista nd loosing my personal files so any advice to help reboot my laptop or somehow safeguard my files would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
B

A:dell inspiron 1720 with black screen

Welcome
Reading your post indicates that your primary concern is your files. Back them up with Ubuntu. If you cannot install Ubuntu it probably means that you have hardware problems. The only way to safeguard your stuff would be to remove the Hard Drive and put in another computer.
Use Ubuntu Live CD to Backup Files from Your Dead Windows Computer - How-To Geek
Anything done to fix a Black Screen may cause loss of your documents. Lets save your stuff, first.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/296125-dell-inspiron-1720-black-screen.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello I have a Dell Inspiron laptop that will not connect to wireless I am sitting right beside my wireless modem and the laptop is showing my modem in the available networks with a full signal My modem is set to WPA Won't Dell 1720 Wireless Inspiron to Connect with an encrypted password I have the Dell Inspiron 1720 Won't Connect to Wireless connection info the same on the laptop to connect I have also tried setting the modem to quot Open quot with no password and still I cannot connect Here are my IPCONFIG ALL results and a screenshot of my network adapters from the device manager Thank you in advance Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Thena gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Thena-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List gateway wire net Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R Wireless WiFi Link AGN Physical Address - F- B- - C-FD DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Description Broadcom x Integrated Controlle r Physical Address - - - - -D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d f b f f dbb Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Saturday November PM Lease Expires Saturday November PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address d abd a d c d Prefe rred Link-local IPv Address fe a d c d Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap E C- - -A - ED CFE br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap F C BAB- FD- F - -E E br D B Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap F C BAB- FD- F - -E E br D B Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap F C BAB- FD- F - -E E br D B Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap Belkin Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap Belkin Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe efe Preferred Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap E C- - -A - ED CFE br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway wire net Description Microsoft to Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Temporary IPv Address b b b b Preferred Default Gateway c c DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled C Users Thena gt nb... Read more

A:Dell Inspiron 1720 Won't Connect to Wireless

Here is the screenshot from the network adapters in the device manager.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-1720-wont-connect-to-wireless.1113203/
Relevancy 64.93%

Recently, I upgraded this laptop to Windows 10. It was working fine. This morning, I turnede it on. The display flashed momentarily, then quit working. What can the problem be?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19984601
Relevancy 64.07%

I purchased my laptop from Dell in November of 2007. In September of this year, the AC Adapter/Charger stopped working. (I would plug it in and the green light would not come on - on the adapter/charger). I got a replacement from Dell (after them sending me the wrong replacement twice!) and now it's not working!
Does this sound like a laptop issue or an adapter/charger issue? Dell keeps trying to tell me it's a laptop issue and my warranty expired last week.

Any help or ideas out there?

Suzanne

A:Dell Inspiron 1720 AC Adapter/Charger Problem

Hi

Get the PSU tested with a volt meter, if its outputting a voltage then the Mobo is faulty, as Dell failed to send you a replacement within the guarantee period you could argue its their fault and that had they sent you the correct PSU inside the warranty period then you would have know it was a Mobo issue and as such it would still have been covered by warranty, however as they delayed sending the correct part out your warranty expired....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dell-inspiron-1720-ac-adapter-charger-problem.115610/
Relevancy 64.07%

pc was mess i reinstalled Wireless failed-dell 1720 driver inspiron OS Wireless driver failed-dell inspiron 1720 vista now Wireless driver failed-dell inspiron 1720 i can't connect wirelessly i have the messge 'windows can not find any network' quot in device manager broadcom n network adapter- quot the device can not start code quot i also have base system device with yellow exclamation quot base system device quot both code but i urgently need the broadcom wireless to Wireless driver failed-dell inspiron 1720 work and i have other questions this is my uncle's pc ad since this pc was a mess it may got virus etc now the pc came with disk for reinstallation media direct and the OS -media direct only format the HD right and make a partition if you want -now the OS disk install a fresh clean copy then why it didn't install correctly those drivers now in this scenario shouldn't be advisable to first wipe offf the hard drive first with something like dban or active killdisk to get rid of everything and then install a fresh copy of the OS

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/296464-wireless-driver-failed-dell-inspiron-1720-a.html
Relevancy 64.07%

My laptop spec 2.6G, 8G RAM , 160G Hdisk, GeForce 8600 , with update DEll System Bios driver

I used to play War craft III with no issue since Feb 2008. But just recently, on each start of game, as it move into 5-10 minutes, the whole system just hung, displaying a still picture of war craft. Then everything else just don't response anymore. Esc, alt_f4, num lock, caps lock, ctrl+alt+del. Only one action can be taken, shutdown by pressing the power-off button.

sad, not sure suddenly wat happen. anyone faced this problem before?

A:War Craft on DELL inspiron 1720 keeping hanging

COULD be the dust in you case, if it just recently starting having problems it could be overheating due to dust, clean it out and see how it goes

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/war-craft-on-dell-inspiron-1720-keeping-hanging.715725/
Relevancy 64.07%

I purchased my inspiron 1720 about four years ago and just replaced the keyboard with part (nsk-d8001).  The keyboard looks identical to my old one except that it has what I assume to be a backlight ribbon sticking out from underneath. Where does this ribbon go? I don't see an obvious location for it and my old keyboard didn't have this ribbon. Can the inspiron 1720 support a backlit keyboard?
Thanks!

A:Installing backlit replacement keyboard on Inspiron 1720

I don't think that system ever had the option of a backlit keyboard, no.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19428944
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello, I'm having issues with a computer. I formatted the hard drives and reinstalled the Vista 32bit OS. Now when I shutdown the pc, MediaDirect reboots the computer. 
I've double checked to make sure the option I chose was SHUTDOWN and not restart.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19987134
Relevancy 64.07%

hi guys
i just install windows 7 in my dell inspiron 1720 .
it's look nice and fast installation.

intel core 2 duo cpu t7100 .80 ghz .
ram 2.00g .
nvidia geforce m8600 gt 256 mb turbocach 512 mb .
windows 7 ultimate x32 .

but the problem is, when i play PES 2011, vram detected is only 256 mb.
i've try to upgrade the driver, but nothing change.

and in wind xp vram detected 512 mb . and the game it's very good and fast

i think turbocach or something like that

A:some help pls.. nvidia geforce 8600gt ..dell inspiron 1720 ..

Quote: Originally Posted by bou3o

i guys
i just install windows 7 in my dell inspiron 1720 .
it's look nice and fast installation.

intel core 2 duo cpu t7100 .80 ghz .
ram 2.00g .
nvidia geforce m8600 gt 256 mb turbocach 512 mb .
windows 7 ultimate x32 .

but the problem is, when i play PES 2011, vram detected is only 256 mb.
i've try to upgrade the driver, but nothing change.

and in wind xp vram detected 512 mb . and the game it's very good and fast

i think turbocach or something like that

The GPU comes with 256MB so that's all that will be detected, the Turbocache drivers are no longer supplied with Windows 7 as most GPU's from yesteryear don't support Windows 7 out of the box, so the turbocache isn't available to utilize.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/186542-some-help-pls-nvidia-geforce-8600gt-dell-inspiron-1720-a.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello Again from the UK I am stuck yet again and turn to you fantastic experts for some much needed help It started when my laptop would not switch on and I got an error message STOP c a Fatal Dell Inspiron Hard Replaced on Drive 1720 System Error the system has been shut down Error Code - Msg unit DST Log contains previous errors Went through all the suggested repairs on the pc but to no avail So I went to the superstore PC World and they told me it my Hard Drive needed replacing and it would cost the set price of for them to undertake the repair I thought this was a mega amount of money to replace a hard drive so I bought one and replaced it myself - it seemed a simple thing to do I had the original discs sent by Dell with the machine I inserted the Windows Re-installation DVD and restated the Computer Had to use the f key to load the Boot Menu and then highlight the CD DVD drive This worked and the programme seemed to be installing and went through menu options that I needed to complete After some time it eventually reached a screen Installing Windows and went through Copied Files Expanded Files Installed Features Installed Updates and Completing Installation and each Replaced Hard Drive on Dell Inspiron 1720 had a green tick It then said Windows needs to restart to continue Replaced Hard Drive on Dell Inspiron 1720 and closed down and restarted It then said in White on a Black screen Please wait a moment while Windows prepares to start for the first time After a few minutes it went back to the Installing Windows screen with all the headings still ticked as previously with a line saying Completing Installation and there Replaced Hard Drive on Dell Inspiron 1720 it sat doing nothing or so I thought After hours the screen has turned black apart from a white arrow head pointer and it been like that for hours Have I done something wrong Should I have run any of the other discs Dell sent me with the machine before running the Windows Re-Installation Disc I have my system backed up on a iomega portable hard drive so hopefully once I can get the machine running again i will be able to reinstate my documents and photos Clearly I only have a very basic knowledge but felt confident enough to change the hard drive but now I m stuck and hope you can point me in the right direction as you have done so well previously Thanks in anticipation nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/replaced-hard-drive-on-dell-inspiron-1720.971655/
Relevancy 63.64%

I was recently given a Dell Inspiron 1720,but the hard drive was bad,so I bought another one,and now I need to do a clean reinstall of windows vista home premium,which is the origional operating system. I have the product key code for the origional windows vista home premium,I need step-by-step instructions,someone please help.

A:Clean reinstall of windows vista on dell inspiron 1720

Contact Dell and see if you can order the installation disc's. There's usually a minimal charge for them....last time I order any was from Dell and for XP Home....and those ran me $20 plus tax/shipping.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/clean-reinstall-of-windows-vista-on-dell-inspiron-1720.1165738/
Relevancy 63.64%

Topic title says it all- I currently have Vista Ultimate 32bit on my Inspiron 1720 laptop and I want to try out 64bit, to see if it runs and utilizes the 4gb of memory I have better- Vista 32bit seems to chug a bit when I'm doing heavy photoshop work.

There is no option for 64bit drivers on dell's driver site for this laptop, does anyone have any clue where I could get them? Or am I out of luck?

A:Where can i find 64bit drivers for Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop?

I'm hoping you have tried the Dell website and also checked for 64 bit compatability especially with your MB and CPU combos

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/194443-where-can-i-find-64bit-drivers-dell-inspiron-1720-laptop.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi all I have an inspiron 1720 that I installed Xp on. The bluetooth driver on dell support says it is only for vista. Is there any way around this I have been searching google and have found no solution to this.

Thanx in advance

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/driver-for-my-1720-dell-inspiron-laptop-bluetooth-bcm-2045-in-xp.738362/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi Guys I read one of the threads here back in Jan of this year that is quite similar to my problem The Bluetooth device driver keeps on turning off on on its own I m using a wireless internet connection with a netgear router and it used to work fine for months Problem started a week ago I have Windows Vista Home Premium with SP Below Device Driver of Intermittent Bluetooth 1720 Dell Inspiron are the items listed under the network adapters of device manager when my internet connection is fine Bluetooth Device Personal Area Intermittent Bluetooth Device Driver of Dell Inspiron 1720 Network - status is disabled Bluetooth Device RFCOMM Protocol TDI Broadcom x Integrated Controller Cisco Systems VPN Adapter - status is disabled Intel R Wireless WiFi Link AGN NOTE No signs of a conflict like a yellow exclamation mark or X And here are the only ones listed when i lose connection Intermittent Bluetooth Device Driver of Dell Inspiron 1720 Broadcom x Integrated Controller Cisco Systems VPN Adapter - status is disabled Intel R Wireless WiFi Link AGN Here are the things I have done Reinstalled the network drivers downloaded from Dell specifically Intel R Wireless WiFi Link AGN Broadcom x Integrated Controller When the first items are visible i tried to check for updated drivers by right Intermittent Bluetooth Device Driver of Dell Inspiron 1720 clicking on it and hitting Update Driver software but it gave me a message that its already updated Enabled items and to see if it will make a difference but not Tried the TCP IP stack repair options by going into CMD running it as Admin and typing in the lines below netsh winsock reset catalog netsh int ipv reset reset log netsh int ipv reset reset log Restarted the machine but still got the same problem Already checked the switch from the side of the laptop and its ON Please help me out on this as I m losing hope I cant think of any other things to check anymore As much as possible I don t want to go into the direction of reformatting the hard drive and reinstalling windows from scratch or worse having my laptop repaired I m guessing this is just a driver or setting problem in windows BIOS that I need to fix Hoping for your replies Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 63.64%

My laptop has had several problems recently, including having to get the keyboard replaced. Whenever I try to get on the laptop in normal mode it either rarely starts or is just a black screen. I started the laptop in safe mode in hopes to virus scan it and make sure everything is okay, but there was a slight problem. Every icon I clicked (Internet explorer, anti spyware, etc) it would pop up with a box on the screen and would show Adobe Reader and Internet Explorer in it saying "open with". Any ideas on how to fix this and make it so I can open icons regularly? Thanks!

A:Problem Openining Things on Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop

Recently, my laptop has been starting to act weird. When trying to open most of the desktop icons or programs, a box pops up and says "open with" and then lists recommended programs like Adobe Reader and Internet Explorer. I tried restoring the computer to the last time it was normal, but that didn't fix anything. I can't open any virus scans or programs to check if a virus is causing this either. Does anyone have an idea about how i could approach this or give me some steps to take? Thanks in advance!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problem-openining-things-on-dell-inspiron-1720-laptop-589030.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Greetings As I am unable to start in Safe Mode and XP Home came OEM-installed I am planning on doing an in-place repair install I am able to get into the BIOS ver A and the keyboard works just fine However once I get into the Boot Sequence pop-up box the and - does not respond The box looks like this Floppy device not installed Hard-Disk Boot Dell BIOS 4600i +/- - recognize not Dimension Seq Drive C IDE CD-ROM DeviceI am able to use the up and down arrows to highlight each of these choices and also am able to use the SPACE bar to deselect the checkmarks it s the - that does not work For example when I have option highlighted then type in lt shift gt nothing happens Pressing lt enter Dell Dimension 4600i BIOS Boot Seq - not recognize +/- gt closes the pop-up and leaves me back in the BIOS with the quot Boot Sequence quot line highlighted The F HELP dialog states that pressing lt gt or lt - gt should raise or lower the device but no-go for me FWIW the keyboard model is SK- Thanks one and all in advance for any assistance Reuben

A:Dell Dimension 4600i BIOS Boot Seq - not recognize +/-

I know this sounds simple but have you tried using the [+] or [-] keys on the number pad without using the [Shift] key? That's how it works on this 4600i, same keyboard.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/360052/dell-dimension-4600i-bios-boot-seq-not-recognize/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi I have a dell e laptop with windows XP SP on my internal HDD I have another HDD with windows located in place of my optical drive I want to be able to boot to either the internal XP or the modular bay Win During boot sequence which is set for internal- gt modular bay- gt CD I select F and choose time boot to modular bay but it skips over my request and boots to the internal drive Is there a configuration I need to set Both harddrives are labelled as C My boot bay HDD modular laptop Cant from laptop is hot swappable but it errors out with message quot Cannot enable because it conflicts with another resource quot So I can neither boot to the modular bay nor can I insert it successfully with XP already running Anyone have Any Ideas By the way I installed windows on the Modular Bay HDD while it was installed in the internal bay then moved it to the modular bay if that makes a difference Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Cant boot from laptop HDD modular bay

Can you boot to the modular if the XP drive is disconnected?

Have you ever been able to boot the modular?

Have you experimented with different motherboard ports?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/230997-cant-boot-laptop-hdd-modular-bay.html
Relevancy 62.78%

Hey, I have a inspiron 1720 that i reinstalled vista home premium (64bit) on. I have all the drivers but one. I was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to find it. it for the base system device. i have already downloaded the chipset for the system and this didnt solve the problem. I also tried downloading the richo version chipset and this didnt work either. so if someone has any idea where i can find the right driver i would be greatly appreciative. thanks cory

A:dell Inspiron 1720 base system device driver missing

I have the same problem.  I'll post if I find a solution

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19331233
Relevancy 62.35%

I have DELL Inspiron Laptop and it caused a Blue Screen of Death error within first couple of hours I begugged the error in the two files that I am uploading The first one says that it is because of some driver error and the second one which was debugged from Memory dmp of about MegaBytes also says in the middle that it was due to Memory Corruption as well Could Dell Death causing Brand new of Laptop Screen Inspiron Blue 1720 someone please explain it more clearly to me which file is right and do I still need to check my Memory because the laptop is still brand new debuglog txt has been debugged from mini - dmp of size K from windows minidump folder debuglogmemorydmp txt has been debugged from windows memory dmp of size MegaBytes Both of the windows minidump and windows memory dmp belong to the same Blue Screen of Death Error The Blue screen of death was very quick and I did not get any chance to note down anything Brand new Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop causing Blue Screen of Death at all thats why I debugged them Then again yesterday I got one more Blue Screen of Death Error while restarting Windows and it was quot IO System Verification error in HIDCLASS SYS WDM DRIVER ERROR HIDCLASS SYS at Af Please help if the Blue Screens of Death belong to software or hardware problems Other than those two Blue Screens of Death the system has been working absolutely fantastic and I have not received any other error messages within the Windows Vista ever since I bought it on April Do you guys think it is serious issue with any hardware so that I can still send them back and get a new replacement XPS a much better system from Dell under their days customer satisfation guarantee The configuration of the Dell Inspiron Laptop is Manufacturer Dell Processor Intel T Core Duo Ghz GHz Memory Samsung GB DDR Dual Channel Memory sticks of GB each Hard Drives Toshiba SATA GB Western Digital SATA GB Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium -bit operating system nbsp

A:Brand new Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop causing Blue Screen of Death

I am attaching the zipped original minidump file. I am still curious to know the reason for that blue screen of death please.

If I can, I will try to get everything out of Dell Australia's Total Satisfaction Policy to avoid any hassles in future with the hardware problems with this laptop.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/brand-new-dell-inspiron-1720-laptop-causing-blue-screen-of-death.103054/
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello everyone to not screen network connecting 1720 Inspiron Wireless blue Dell showing I usually solve my PC problems but this time I gave up I am new in the forum I go to grad school in Cedar Falls IA And last year I bought a Dell Inspiron that gave me a hard Dell Inspiron 1720 not connecting to Wireless network showing blue screen time ever since it Dell Inspiron 1720 not connecting to Wireless network showing blue screen came out of the box Unfortunately I Dell Inspiron 1720 not connecting to Wireless network showing blue screen had to have it replaced a couple of times THe last one they gave me seemed to be ok but not until a couple of months did I realize that the Wireless capabilities are not working Dell's warranty already expired and I don't know what hte problem is I've tried everything I reinstalled windows and just installed the Wireless card that it has built in and it says that there is no connectivity The Wireless card is this model Intel Model AGN MM I am using Windows Vista home premium the Computer is a DEll Inspiron Laptop This a copy of the message I got after the blue screen Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Additional information about the problem BCCode a BCP BCP BCP BCP BA DAE OS Version Service Pack Product Files that help describe the problem C Windows Minidump Mini - dmp C Users Alejandro AppData Local Temp WER- - sysdata xml C Users Alejandro AppData Local Temp WER tmp version txt Read our privacy statement http go microsoft com fwlink link amp clcid x In a nutshell this is the situation I tried to connect to the wireless network It says no connectivity then it shows me nice blue screen that restarts the computer and no time to read but I have noticed something like IRQ Less or not equal that's all I can read Any ideas I'd appreciate your help

A:Dell Inspiron 1720 not connecting to Wireless network showing blue screen

Hi. . .

Glad to hear of Grad school -
Dissertation or thesis subject if I may?

The BSOD you posted has a bugcheck -

0xa (0x64, 0x2, 0x1, 0x81BA4DAE), no probable cause listed.

0xa = IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL = MS or kernel mode app accessed paged memory when it should not have (IRQL too high).

We'll get to wifi shortly - #1 right now is that you must install Vista SP1.

Please run the following to collect system info so I can help you get SP1 in. I wouldn't advise downloading it and install as there are prerequisite Windows Updates & other preps to be done.

Download Live SysInternals Autoruns from Microsoft TechNet and SAVE it to your DOCUMENTS folder. Next, download the attached zip and extract the batch file to your DESKTOP. Then go to desktop, right-click on the batch file and select Run as Administrator.

It will run for approx 5 minutes - you will see status screen. No interaction - just let it run. When finished, go to your documents folder and zip up the newly created folder named TSF_Vista_Support and attach to next post.

In the interim - please run the Vista Clean Manager -
START | type cmd.exe into the start search box | right-click on cmd.exe above under programs | select Run as Administrator | the black cmd prompt/"DOS" screen will appear - type cleanmgr tuneup - check boxes.

Now disk defrag. Use Auslogics - download and install. Go to desktop, right-click on Auslogics icon, select Run as Administrator.

Any ? - please let me know.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/dell-inspiron-1720-not-connecting-to-wireless-network-showing-blue-screen-325060.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I'm sure this has been asked alot, but being dell support asks for individual threads to be made to evaluate individuals issues. I've had my 5720 for a few years now, I disliked windows 8 coming pre-installed and begged for windows 7 from dell when purchased but to no avail, I got windows 8. Windows 10 made the computer almost unbearable to use, so I have made my mind up to go back to windows 7. Unfortunately I can not access the BIOS or Boot selection to boot from my windows 7 USB drive. I've tried in the past to use a disk to install but either dell or windows 8 and 10 blocks the installation. Current BIOS version is a12. Any help would be great, and if there has been a solution my internet searching has failed me.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19989855
Relevancy 61.06%

tried to flash bios to A09 from Dell website. Flash program completed successfully and shut itself down. But now PC will not reboot. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

A:Inspiron 3646 will not boot after bios update

Power off and unplug
Press/hold power button for ~15 sec
Open case and remove motherboard battery. See manual for details
Press/hold power button for ~30 sec
Reinstall battery (right-side-up!)
Reboot with fingers x'd

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19983207
Relevancy 61.06%

I am assuming this is a motherboard issue, the leds come on for power and bluetooth, the cpu fan will still turn on when it hot. the hard drive led never comes on. the screen never shows anything. i have even tested the battery next to the memory to make sure it is holding a charge and it is.

A:Solved: inspiron 1521 will not boot not even bios

Sounds like your motherboard is "Dead."
Another possibility is your screen inverter or backlight failed, but if your computer isn't "posting" at all then it is a motherboard issue (corrupt BIOS or worse case scenario physical damage to a critical mobo component).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-inspiron-1521-will-not-boot-not-even-bios.917003/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi so my friend had gotten this laptop a couple of years ago They used it a few times and then kinda of forgot about it Anyways they Inspiron locked M531R bios/boot had to in a boot password on it and of course they ve forgot what it is I ve already contacted Dell support chat however the supposed passwords they gave me didn t work The reason I say supposed passwords is because if you do a google search for bios password generator it will come up with a page that gives both of these passwords plus others that won t work for Inspiron M531R bios/boot locked the service tag I ve tried to then reset the password by removing the CMOS battery but after waiting a few hours and replacing the battery the bios still remembers it s password setting I ve also looked on the board Inspiron M531R bios/boot locked to see if there a pwd jumper however for the area I can see I don t see any jumpers Does anyone here have any suggestions Or is this laptop pretty much dead now Full model is Inspiron M R-

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19991851
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi All,

PLEASE HELP!! I have a laptop containing important information thats not booting...

I think the problem is with the BIOS chip for the following reasons, i hope im wrong but appreciate any help ye can provide...

RAM: have removed ram and get CAPS key flashing constantly. replace RAM CAPS flashes once then stays off.

MOBO: CDROM drive flashes for a couple of seconds then goes out...

HD: HD access light flashes and goes out.

FAN: i can hear it!

The display shows nothing at all.. so i dont get the BIOS display or cant enter SETUP

The laptop fails to boot from a windows 2000 CD (win XP was the OS)

i used to hate people that kept posted please help messages... now i sympathize...

A:Inspiron 6000 wont boot due to BIOS problem??

Hi

Well it does sound like its a faulty Motherboard, if the info on the drive is important then either put the drive into another I6000 or use a 2.5 to 3.5 adaptor cable and read the drive contents on another machine.

Laptops by nature arent repairable by the common man and need specialist tools to determine cause of failure, that said if the unit is in warranty then ring Dell asap and get them to help you.

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/inspiron-6000-wont-boot-due-to-bios-problem.86872/
Relevancy 59.77%

So I got a Inspiron i Nice laptop for it s price Downloaded all the manuals made my recovery DVDs All was well in my world First thing I noticed Dell Boot UEFI Inspiron to Bios recovery 3537: is that there is no info in the manuals for tweaking the BIOS and since it is Inspiron 3537: Boot to Dell recovery UEFI Bios my first experience with a Inspiron 3537: Boot to Dell recovery UEFI Bios UEFI bios I was a bit disappointed Is there a manual available for it Next I upgraded ATI Drivers to I am an old user who always knew that updates were usually a good thing to do Got in Inspiron 3537: Boot to Dell recovery UEFI Bios the same problem as many others with PC screen not waking up from sleep Thought I would do a recovery from the disk but after trying various combinations Ctl F F F etc I couldn t find a way to boot in the Recovery console I did the recovery from my DVD and the laptop works fine Does anybody know how to add in UEFI bios a boot option to the Recovery partition I undersstand that I have to create a new boot option using quot Add boot option quot and the two options available are to boot to the st windows EFI or nd recovery partition but the path for the recovery efi file to be loaded is unknown you can t have access to the recovery partition to see the contents of it from windows Any suggestions

A:Inspiron 3537: Boot to Dell recovery UEFI Bios

Still haven't found a bios manual, but anyway. I found a combination of drivers for graphics that does work and allows sleep function without a glitch.
amd-catalyst-15.7-without-dotnet45-win8.1-64bit
Intel_Iris_15.36.21.64.4222
Uninstalled amd (complete), reboot, intall iris, reboot, install latest amd. Ati probably fixed the issue that did not allow wake from sleep. I downloaded them using amdautodetect utility and intel driver update utility.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19578364
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi I ve been pulling my hair out for the past days trying to repair an Inspiron It cannot boot from USB its floppy drive is dead and its optical drive isn t working too well The is from and I can tell it s been dropped and cracked a few times A friend gave me this ancient laptop in somewhat working condition It ran Windows XP okay and booted up fine to cannot BIOS; Dell Exclamation Inspiron point next boot. 2600 in HD I thought that it would be faster with Xubuntu a lightweight linux distro And so I attempted to install Xubuntu via DVD using the laptop s DVD drive I was unable to install Xubuntu nor was I able to boot it up as a live OS due to some video problems Determined I quickly downloaded and burned the alternate version of the Xubuntu install This time I was able to install Exclamation point next to HD in BIOS; cannot boot. Dell Inspiron 2600 Xubuntu after a few tries due to the shotty optical drive but it failed to install GRUB a bootloader This resulted in the laptop displaying quot Operating System not found quot I then reformatted the HD and reinstalled Xubuntu this time with GRUB and I still got quot Operating System not found quot Thinking something was wrong with the installation I re-installed Grub probably times until I gave up and decided to re install Windows After completely reformatting the C drive I installed Windows XP Pro SP but I still got quot Operating System not found quot Assuming it was an MBR problem I used a boot cd compilation s various MBR tools and bootloaders to try to fix the problem but no avail I also tried running various live OS s but all have failed so far I used Seagate s diagnostic tool to examine the HD and it insisted that it was healthy I also used a Seagate tool to completely erase the HD which took hrs and format track MBR and re-installed windows but still no avail Then I checked the BIOS boot order and expanded the Hard Drive category and saw an exclamation point next to the hard drive model serial number There is also an exclamation point next to the floppy drive and the Onboard NIC On the boot CD Ultimate Boot CD many of the tools cannot detect or access the hard drive except for a few Before my bright idea this laptop used to be a well functioning semi-productive machine My bright idea has reduced it to a very heavy paperweight that displays quot Operating System not found quot Any suggestions I would appreciate any help or ideas at all nbsp Thanks in advance

A:Exclamation point next to HD in BIOS; cannot boot. Dell Inspiron 2600

Go into BIOS setup options and load default settings. Then try to boot again. You may enter advanced repair options at this time automatically. Scan the drive, let it run it's repairs, and see where that get's you. If that does not work, a wipe and re-load of your OS is necessary. 

Paul M. Roe
DCSE, NTWRK & DBA Engineer, Break Fix Tech, etc. 

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19358037
Relevancy 59.34%

My Dell Inspiron D won t boot even BIOS boot Dell won't D530 projector with ACER Inspiron to connected to the BIOS when my ACER X P DLP projector is connected to the monitor port I am using the motherboard graphics no separate video card The computer works perfectly when I boot it with a standard LCD monitor I boot it with NO monitor attached and then plug the Acer projector VGA cable into the monitor port after the keyboard lights blink If I attempt the boot the computer with the ACER projector attached it turns on front panel power light turns on fans run fast and then slow which is normal network activity light comes Dell Inspiron D530 won't boot to BIOS with ACER projector connected on but the keyboard lights don t blink on and even though the project is getting a x video signal from the display card the screen is totally blank black It will sit in this state indefinitely If I press the power button the power turns off immediately It behaves this way no matter whether the projector is on or in sleep mode I am using the latest released BIOS from Dell Since the BIOS isn t even completing its boot I don t think there is an issue with Operating System or drivers I ve tried both video graphics settings in the BIOS use on-board video only check for separate video first and there is no difference nbsp

A:Dell Inspiron D530 won't boot to BIOS with ACER projector connected

That's an unusual compatibility issue. I assume you have confirmed the projector and VGA cable are fine and work with another system? Have you tried another VGA cable? Could be a damaged cable.

Using a separate graphics card may work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dell-inspiron-d530-wont-boot-to-bios-with-acer-projector-connected.1138763/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi I ve been pulling my hair out for the past days trying to repair point Solved: cannot HD Exclamation Dell boot. 2600 in BIOS; to next Inspiron an Inspiron It cannot boot from USB its floppy drive is dead and its optical drive isn Solved: Exclamation point next to HD in BIOS; cannot boot. Dell Inspiron 2600 t working too well Solved: Exclamation point next to HD in BIOS; cannot boot. Dell Inspiron 2600 The is from and I can tell it s been dropped and cracked a few times A friend gave me this ancient laptop in somewhat working condition It ran Windows XP okay and booted up fine I thought that it would be Solved: Exclamation point next to HD in BIOS; cannot boot. Dell Inspiron 2600 faster with Xubuntu a lightweight linux distro And so I attempted to install Xubuntu via DVD using the laptop s DVD drive I was unable to install Xubuntu nor was I able to boot it up as a live OS due to some video problems Determined I quickly downloaded and burned the alternate version of the Xubuntu install This time I was able to install Xubuntu after a few tries due to the shotty optical drive but it failed to install GRUB a bootloader This resulted in the laptop displaying quot Operating System not found quot I then reformatted the HD and reinstalled Xubuntu this time with GRUB and I still got quot Operating System not found quot Thinking something was wrong with the installation I re-installed Grub probably times until I gave up and decided to re install Windows After completely reformatting the C drive I installed Windows XP Pro SP but I still got quot Operating System not found quot Assuming it was an MBR problem I used a boot cd compilation s various MBR tools and bootloaders to try to fix the problem but no avail I also tried running various live OS s but all have failed so far I used Seagate s diagnostic tool to examine the HD and it insisted that it was healthy I also used a Seagate tool to completely erase the HD which took hrs and format track MBR and re-installed windows but still no avail Then I checked the BIOS boot order and expanded the Hard Drive category and saw an exclamation point next to the hard drive model serial number There is also an exclamation point next to the floppy drive and the Onboard NIC On the boot CD Ultimate Boot CD many of the tools cannot detect or access the hard drive except for a few Before my bright idea this laptop used to be a well functioning semi-productive machine My bright idea has reduced it to a very heavy paperweight that displays quot Operating System not found quot Any suggestions I would appreciate any help or ideas at all Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Solved: Exclamation point next to HD in BIOS; cannot boot. Dell Inspiron 2600

I feel really really really stupid right now. I just realized the exclamation point indicates that a particular boot device is disabled. Simply highlighting a boot device and pressing shift+1 will remove the exclamation point. My problem is now fixed.

It's amazing how overlooking one small detail located on the right help sidebar can lead to such a headache.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-exclamation-point-next-to-hd-in-bios-cannot-boot-dell-inspiron-2600.969539/
Relevancy 55.9%

Problem is similar to Windows bar Boot at boot progress Logo screen sequence with hangs others that have been posted earlier On boot sequence PC hangs on Windows boot screen - with the good old progress bar churning along for eternity It just stays there It is possible to boot into safe mode safe mode with networking etc but never boots up normally Last Known Good quot does not help at all I have tried repairing XP using the recovery console deleting the boot ini file then BOOTCFG REBUILD and then FIXBOOT to no avail Do not know where in the boot process it is Boot sequence hangs at Windows Logo boot screen with progress bar getting hung up and not totally sure how to determine that Using Windows XP Media Center Edition with SP Plenty of RAM and disk space Had this problem once Boot sequence hangs at Windows Logo boot screen with progress bar in the past and it seemed to self correct after about reboots No such luck this time Does this sound like a re-install of XP is required or are there any Boot sequence hangs at Windows Logo boot screen with progress bar other options that might work Cheers GR nbsp

A:Boot sequence hangs at Windows Logo boot screen with progress bar

You have trotry reformat and if that doesn't work replace the hard drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-sequence-hangs-at-windows-logo-boot-screen-with-progress-bar.644002/
Relevancy 55.47%

Good day everyone! I hope you can help me with this newbie question.

My Dell laptop has been nothing but a pain since day 1. I want to remove any possibility of this being a hardware problem by doing a fresh install with a downloaded copy of Win 10 from Microsoft, using a USB.

1) - I need to change the boot sequence to boot to USB. That's primary problem because the Bios menu seems to be different on different brands of computers. I don't understand, what exactly i'm supposed to change in the bios.
2) - Secondly, i want to ensure which partition i use, because I've tried formatting in the past, and the options of partitions has been confusing, and I've been advised to remove the Dell Recovery partition while i'm doing it. I've been advised ( in forums) to have one drive only, for everything, including startup.

Any advice is highly appreciated! Thank you

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/57414-how-change-boot-sequence-usb-boot-fresh-copy-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello I am having problems with direct booting into Windows installed into a VHDX file Possible After Black Fixing Screen Boot From Menu Manager][SOLVED] Only F12 UEFI Booting POST. [Boot Boot Issues: BIOS BIOS This is a four-partition UEFI boot on a GPT drive EFI files are residing on a second partition of disk the ESP partition [Boot Manager][SOLVED] Fixing UEFI Boot Issues: Black Screen After BIOS POST. Booting Only Possible From BIOS F12 Boot Menu in the EFI [Boot Manager][SOLVED] Fixing UEFI Boot Issues: Black Screen After BIOS POST. Booting Only Possible From BIOS F12 Boot Menu folder The boot virtual nbsp disk is residing on the fourth partition of that disk When I turn on the PC it shows black screen after the BIOS POST screen No Windows boot menu no other information is displayed However if I press Shift F or F to start Dell BIOS Boot Menu and choose Windows Boot Manager from the UEFI part of the boot menu Windows starts to boot without difficulties How do I make Windows to boot automatically without having to select Windows Boot Manager in DELL BIOS boot menu I believe I messed up with boot sector somehow What needs to be fixed provided that Windows will boot into VHDX file Thank you Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/0c77735a-be10-4e1e-a4c1-568917f4a54f/boot-managersolved-fixing-uefi-boot-issues-black-screen-after-bios-post-booting-only-possible?forum=w8itprogeneral
Relevancy 53.32%

I have two computers in the household One we recently hooked up directly to a cable television $$ sequence boot during jack in order to watch TV through the computer It is an older Gateway model but has never had an issue Two days ago I got home from work and turned the computer on I walked out of the room to change clothes and when I returned the monitor was off but the PC was still running I did a hard restart and watched a little closer There were signs during the bootup process and it passed the POST Windows XP starts to boot up and then the screen goes black The screen then turns off The PC stays on for a little $$ during boot sequence longer and then powers down on its own I am able to boot up in safe mode and my antivirus comes up nil I have done a system restore both destructive and non-destructive and still have the same issue Following the system restore as soon as the system restarts in order for the Windows installation to complete same thing happens are all over the screen during bootup process Also during startup when it asks if I want to boot in safe $$ during boot sequence mode safe mode with command prompt etc there are also several signs on the screen and most of the letters are mixed up I'm in my second year as a network and internet security student and I'm stumped Any ideas

A:$$ during boot sequence

first suspect is the power supply has gone

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/during-boot-sequence-510596.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Hi,

My PC is set up to boot from HD, CD, FD in that order.

I was under the impression that it was best to have FD first in case the HD messes up, so I can use the Startup disk.
However, at least this way, the FD doesn't buzz when I first switch on.

Can anyone tell me if it matters which order they boot from? Should I alter the sequence?

Relevancy 53.32%

Recently I was playing battlefield 2, when my screen froze. I then shut my computer down to restart it, used it a few times (in 4-bit safe mode), then after I shutdown again, I cant log back in... it just freezes and the screen flashes, I cannot boot into my computer setup (default f2) or into safe mode (default f8), however I can run the XP cd and get into the recovery console, is there any way that I can change the boot sequence from the recovery console? The screen is dotted with a bunch of dots up and down the screen in columns, and is in 4-bit video mode.

I have a Dell xps gen 5 with xp home.

the error I get is:

"Error: Cant enter setup. Video Mode 103 not supported by this video card."

A:boot sequence

What are you trying to change about the boot sequence?

How far into the boot process can you get and what exactly happens after that?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-sequence.646126/
Relevancy 53.32%

hello, i want to change the boot order of win xp pro. currently the order is first floppy drive, second cd rom, third: hard drive. how can i change the boot sequence where the sequence will be first: cd rom, second: hard drive and nothing on third as i will be removing floppy drive from the computer. thanks

A:boot sequence of win xp pro

This is done through the BIOS (also called Setup on some systems). When you first power on the PC, you should see something on the screen that says Press F1 to access Setup/BIOS... or something along those lines. It may be F1, F2, DEL or another key.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/boot-sequence-of-win-xp-pro-585606.html
Relevancy 53.32%

Boot sequence and what are they?

I have a Dell Dimnsion 4100. I have a floppy, DVD, CD-RW.

After installing XP my CDROM does not "auto start". Does that have anything to do with the BIOS boot order and can you tell me what the following abreviations are?

ARMD-FDD
ARMD-HDD
IDE-HDD
ATAPI-CDROM (got this one)

Thanks

Relevancy 53.32%

Hi

Ive been trying to change to boot sequence on my friends PC as it is messed up. The problem is when I try and save my new boot order with F10 it doesn't do anything and doesn't save it.

I couldn't tell you the model number at the moment as I am not there, but it is a Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 motherboard, probably about 5yrs old.

Thanks

A:boot sequence

After hitting F10 save and exit, are you getting Y and N ?

Are you clicking Y yes ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/271990-boot-sequence.html