Windows Support Forum

Multi-drive setup

Q: Multi-drive setup

Hey Guys,

I recently got a new laptop with two drives, my 120GB SSD which I boot from, and a 750GB HDD.
Right now I am trying to figure out how to keep crap that I don't want off my SSD as I would like to actually be able to install a few programs on it. I have tried going into the registry and changing "ProgramFilesDir", "ProgramFilesDir (x86)", ProgramW6432Dir", "CommonFilesDir", "CommonFilesDir (x86)", and "CommonW6432Dir" to my HDD with limited success - I cant remember if I rebooted before I tested it out, but I believe I did.

At anyrate, if you have and tips/suggestions for managing my files with multiple drives I would love to hear them!

Thanks,

Matt

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Multi-drive setup

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Multi-drive setup

The single best thing you can do is map the "home" folders over to the mechanical disk. A SSD with 120GB is more than enough for the OS and pretty much all applications, as I currently use a 64GB SSD to do the same thing.

What you want to do is click start, then go to your "home" folder, and you'll see this:

All of your folders can be mapped to another disk, stopping files from building up on your SSD. To change the location of the folder, select a folder, then click the right mouse button, and choose properties.

Click the location tab, and then click move, and select the new location (create the folder on your mechanical disk with the same name e.g. my example is "Desktop," and I have it located on my 2TB mechanical disk.

Here is the folder I've created on my larger disk:

Select the folder, and press "select folder", then click apply, and "yes" when asked if you'd like to move the files in the existing folder to the new location. Repeat for all of your "home" folders.

In future all files will build up in the "home" folders on your mechanical disk, not your SSD.

I have several Adobe CS6 titles, as well as Office 2013, and around 50 other applications all installed on my SSD along with Windows 7 Pro, and I've still got 14.4GB free, so you should have considerably more free space on yours.

Installing applications on the SSD means they can use the increased performance it offers. However, there is little point installing games on the SSD, as the difference it makes is minimal, as the only time it "feels" faster is when loading maps or between turns. Games also use considerably more space than most applications do, so its not a very cost-effective way of utilising the SSD's limited storage.

You can install applications to another disk by changing the install location during setup. I'd advise you either create a separate partition for them if you intend to do so, but also keep to the same format (e.g. create a Program Files and Program Files X86 folders, and install them as required inside there.

As you'll see from the "my computer" image above, I have my games on a separate partition, and data on another (both make up a 1TB disk) which I use as a second location should I need to install storage heavy applications.

It is not recommended to make registry changes or to manually drag and drop "Program File" folders onto the mechanical disk as it can cause all manner of problems. If you want to move them, I recommend you first uninstall the application, then re-install it in the new location.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/multi-drive-setup.184798/
Relevancy 70.52%

I'm a little confused as to internal vs external DVD drives.

According to comparison chart, a 16x DVD drive will read at 21MB/s. This will be the bottleneck for an internal drive, since SATA is well above that speed.

For an external DVD drive connected through USB 2, the DVD speed is still the same at 21MB/s, but then we add in the effective USB 2 transfer rate of 40MB/s. This would mean the bottleneck is still with the DVD spin speed.

So my question: how much faster will an internal DVD drive be over an external DVD drive?

I need to view data from multiple DVDs at the same time, and I don't want to copy it all to the hard drive. This means I need multiple asynchronous DVD drives, but I'm not sure if external will be too slow.

Thanks much for any help!

A:Multi-DVD Drive Setup

Given a choice and if you have enough room I would go with internal always

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/multi-dvd-drive-setup.833746/
Relevancy 66.65%

This is probably the most painful issue I have with Windows right now and likely previous versions as well but I didn't have a multi-DPI on text Blurry in monitor multi-resolution, secondary setup multi-monitor setup back then Blurry text on secondary monitor in multi-resolution, multi-DPI setup The monitors I have are as follows x K UHD monitor with preferred DPI x Full Blurry text on secondary monitor in multi-resolution, multi-DPI setup HD monitor with preferred DPI Whenever one of these monitors are set as primary all desktop applications displayed on the secondary monitor doesn't matter which has blurry text Exceptions are Blurry text on secondary monitor in multi-resolution, multi-DPI setup the Windows Store Apps like Windows Store and Microsoft Edge along with the Taskbar Start Menu the Taskbar Start Menu settings screen the Taskbar context menu and the desktop context menu which passes the DPI test with flying colours with crispy text on both monitors occasionally a DPI switch bug gets in but I can mostly ignore that The problem is as you can probably guess is that gt of the applications I use aren't Windows Store Apps Here are some screenshots The quot Taskbar and Start Menu Properties quot text is what the text should look like while the Visual Studio text is an example of the text most desktop apps get The blurry image is what happens when the UHD monitor is not the primary monitor Attachment Attachment Note Both of these screenshots came from the DPI monitor so it's best viewed at that DPI level The DPI monitor is similarly affected Things I've already tried Reinstall the graphics driver this was unhelpfully given by a Microsoft Support Engineer Did this multiple times in fact for unrelated reasons Reinstall Windows through Reset This PC recovery option I did this for also unrelated reasons but it definitely doesn't fix this issue Use the XP Explorer quot fix quot Merely worsens the problem Adjusting ClearType options Alleviates the issue a bit but see next point Disabling ClearType on the affected monitor The text obviously sharpens but it's painful to read and a close inspection of the text reveals the issue isn't solved at all only mitigated slightly Replacing the video card I swapped this in with my older GTX Ti but it's obvious the problem remains Both it and my current card are NVIDIAs though so it's vaguely possible the drivers or the cards themselves are the cause I don't have an ATI AMD card that still works at least to test the setup and every Intel iGPU I have either has only one monitor output or is incapable of handling UHD resolutions Things I won't try Setting both monitors' DPI to Text would become microscopic considering the UHD monitor's actual size Use the text resizing feature instead I'm going take a wild guess that this is not monitor-specific and would cause everything on the HD monitor to be far too large to the point that I'd rather unplug it Does anyone have a multi-resolution multi-DPI multi-monitor setup with or without this issue The text is painful to read on whichever is the secondary monitor right now and is extremely apparent whenever the background is dark

A:Blurry text on secondary monitor in multi-resolution, multi-DPI setup

Hi Seally,

I have exactly the same problems and I am searching for a solution. I have noticed the problems after upgrading Windows 10 to TH2. But may be I havn't noticed the problems before :-)

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/30147-blurry-text-secondary-monitor-multi-resolution-multi-dpi-setup.html
Relevancy 66.65%

This is probably the most painful issue I have with Windows right now and likely previous versions as well but I didn't have a multi-monitor setup back then The monitors I have are as follows x K UHD monitor with preferred DPI x Full HD monitor with preferred DPI Whenever one of these monitors are set as primary all desktop applications displayed on the secondary monitor doesn't matter which has blurry text Exceptions are the Windows Store Apps like Windows Store and Microsoft Edge along with the Taskbar Start Menu the Taskbar Start Menu settings screen the Taskbar context menu and the desktop context menu which passes the DPI test with flying colours with crispy text on both monitors occasionally a DPI switch bug gets in but I can mostly ignore on multi-resolution, monitor multi-DPI text Blurry setup secondary in that The problem is as you can probably guess is that gt of the applications I use aren't Windows Store Apps Here are some screenshots The quot Taskbar and Start Menu Properties quot text is what the text should look like while Blurry text on secondary monitor in multi-resolution, multi-DPI setup the Visual Studio text is an example of the text most desktop apps get The blurry image is what happens when the UHD monitor is not the primary monitor Attachment Attachment Note Both of these screenshots came from the DPI monitor so it's best viewed at that DPI level The DPI monitor is similarly affected Things I've already tried Reinstall the graphics driver this was unhelpfully given by a Microsoft Support Engineer Did this multiple times in fact for unrelated reasons Reinstall Windows through Reset This PC recovery option I did this for also unrelated reasons but it definitely doesn't fix this issue Use the XP Explorer quot fix quot Merely worsens the problem Adjusting ClearType options Alleviates the issue a bit but see next point Disabling ClearType on the affected monitor The text obviously sharpens but it's painful to read and a close inspection of the text reveals the issue isn't solved at all only mitigated slightly Replacing the video card I swapped this in with my older GTX Ti but it's obvious the problem remains Both it and my current card are NVIDIAs though so it's vaguely possible the drivers or the cards themselves are the cause I don't have an ATI AMD card that still works at least to test the setup and every Intel iGPU I have either has only one monitor output or is incapable of handling UHD resolutions Things I won't try Setting both monitors' DPI to Text would become microscopic considering the UHD monitor's actual size Use the text resizing feature instead I'm going take a wild guess that this is not monitor-specific and would cause everything on the HD monitor to be far too large to the point that I'd rather unplug it Does anyone have a multi-resolution multi-DPI multi-monitor setup with or without this issue The text is painful to read on whichever is the secondary monitor right now and is extremely apparent whenever the background is dark

A:Blurry text on secondary monitor in multi-resolution, multi-DPI setup

Hi Seally,

I have exactly the same problems and I am searching for a solution. I have noticed the problems after upgrading Windows 10 to TH2. But may be I havn't noticed the problems before :-)

http://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/30147-blurry-text-secondary-monitor-multi-resolution-multi-dpi-setup.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I have three monitors connected to my rig, 2 x 20" in portrait on the sides and a central 27" in landscape. For months I have been using this without issue, today however when I woke up the 'main display' (i.e. where the start button and taskbar is) has shifted to to the left display. Nothing I do will seem to fix this, Windows thinks the central monitor is still the main one according to the display settings. Restarting (the traditional fix for anything!) doesn't help.

Not sure what else to try!

A:Multi Monitor Setup

Could be a Windows Update caused the change, you might consider doing a System Restore back 2-3 days and see if this resolves it, if it does stop automatic installation of updates and set it to be asked then do them one at a time so you can find which one did it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/97364-multi-monitor-setup.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi, having problems setting up a multi display using a hdmi splitter. When I go into the nvidia control panel, there is no option for multi-display mode or cloning, it just comes up with the "use single display". I have had the hdmi splitter tested from the store I bought it at. The only really useful information comes from the monitors thamselves, they have a dialog box that says "check signal cable" however the cables are brand new and are hdmi to dvi cables (previously tried hdmi adapters on the dvi cable that came with the monitors- with the same result) so... according to the store, the splitter works and I have tried to hook the monitor up to the video card directly and they work in single display mode. (dvi into the card) please help!!

Relevancy 55.47%

Hello everyone!
I need to build system that will be able to handle 4 or more monitors attached to it. Can someone tell me what i need for that? I know there are motherboard that have more than two PCIe x16 slots. Does that mean that I can just install two or three same graphic cards with two DVI outputs each into those slots and it will work fine? Also, is SLi feature needed to link several graphics cards to work as one or is it a requirement for multimonitor setups?

Any help is appreciated!

A:help with multi monitor setup

You can just use two gfx cards with two dvi ports on each to plug in four screens.

You dont need SLI to do it, but it would be easiest if the cards matched.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-with-multi-monitor-setup.798842/
Relevancy 55.47%

I was going to build a new computer, but I'm still unsure of how to get 3+ monitors to work in harmony. I'm not looking to mirror the same display on 3+ monitors, but use it to create a larger desktop.

I am able to get 2 monitors with just 1 video card, that's not a problem. The problem is, do I need 2 video cards in order to get more than 2 displays? Also, do they have to have the same bus type, same brand, same make/model and such? Also, how does SLi & Crossfire work with them? Would I be able to get a multi monitor display using SLi or Crossfire?

Thanks,
Daniel

A:Multi Monitor Setup

Hey,

You will need another card to output the graphics to the other monitor, either PCI or PCI-E would be the best bet, though the quality will be lesser on the PCI card as opposed to the PCI-E. You won't need SLI or Crossfire to get the desired output.

Regards,
Nick.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/multi-monitor-setup.576588/
Relevancy 55.47%

I was wondering if someone could guide me on how to set up a muti-boot system using ME and 2000. I currently have a 30 gig hard drive with ME loaded and want to also load 2000. If it would be easier to add a second hard drive to load 2000 I could do that. What would the boot procedure be in either case. I want to use ME as my primary os and 2000 just to tinker with. My current 30 gig with ME on it has the entire partiton used and is a FAT 32 partition. Can I just add 2000 on this partition or should I go with the second hard drive dedicated to 2000. Any suggestions and help would be great.
Thanks,
Hamill

A:Multi-Boot Setup

You could either use PartitionMagic (or similar) to repartition your current disk or add an additional disk for 2000.
Once you decide if the above, the process itself you will find rather painless. When you install 2000, it will ask you which disk/partition you would like to install it on and also how you would like it formatted. Just be sure not to touch your current ME partition. Windows 2000 will detect ME is installed and provide a boot menu for you to choose your OS on boot.

Be sure to look through Microsoft's Hardware Compatibility List to be sure your current hardware will work with Windows 2000 - you may find it difficult to find some drivers for 2000.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/multi-boot-setup.53332/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey all, I'm having a little problem I am in need of some help with.
I am tying to setup multiple monitors, the 2nd monitor actually being an LCD tv (I am using the S-video out port from the computer to show on the TV). I can only seem to set the TV up as an extention of my desktop, I would like to have it so that both monitors are showing the same thing. I cannot seem to find the option to do that, anybody know how to do this?

Thanks.

A:Multi Display Setup

if you have an nvidia then:

go to desktop and in a free space:
rightclick>nvidia control panel

under display it should say set up multiple displays, choose clone [second option]

you need to tell us which Graphics accelerator you have, wether it's ATI or Nvidia or intel integrated

go to desktop and in a free space:
rightclick>properties>settings tab

above screen resolution is what your graphics accelerator is

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/multi-display-setup.792217/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi all

Recommendation on Video Cards required for Multi Monitor setup.

I'd like to have 4 monitors connected simultaneously with independent controls (for using Photoshop CS4 etc).

Do I need video cards with Multi monitor input or several different video cards installed (even if this IS possible on most Mobos I think I only have 2 possible slots anyway for this).

Any ideas anyone (need it all to work on W7 x-64).

I currently have an old card working on XP which has 2 Monitor inputs -- I don't need all the 3D etc for Photoshop processing.

The W7 system I'm using has 16 GB RAM so there's enough for the Video.

Cheers
jimbo

A:Multi-Monitor setup

Photoshop CS4 actually uses gpu acceleration. See at:

edit | preferences | performance | GPU settings

Two dual-dvi output cards should do well for you operating independently, for the total of 4 monitors.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/10593-multi-monitor-setup.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Greetings, I was anticipating this to be a headache, since it only worked in Win7 by throwing spaghetti at a wall.

Essentially, I have a dual monitor display. The right monitor is primary, the left is to be used by art programs, movies, games, and other more specialized work (as well as workspace in a large project and running code next to blah blah).

So, my problem is getting the movies and 3d apps (especially games) to render on the left monitor, but keep all of the main functions on the right one, as it is now.

A side problem... I don't totally dislike the Start Screen; I think it can be useful putting it up on that left monitor when not in use as a live feed reader when not running a program there, while leaving the right monitor "classic". Any way that is possible?

Thanks in advance.

A:Multi monitor setup

I have the same configuration, but I play games in the primary display. anyway many games have into their options, the option to choose which monitor to use. The bad thing is that if an application is running full screen on a monitor, you can't move the mouse outside of that monitor, and this is the reason why I run the games windowed (or in a way called windowed-full screen, if available), and in the windowed mode you can of course move the window in the monitor you prefer.

I also hope the start screen will be allowed to stay opened in the side monitor, while you work on the main one... it would be also nice if you could run 2 metro apps in 2 monitors, now it can uses only one... you can't run mail in the side monitor and the browser in the other, this is quite a bug...

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/10739-multi-monitor-setup.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I have a Latitude E5570 with a 2.6 GHz i5-6440-HQ and Intel Intergrated HD 530 graphics chipset. I run this off an E-Port Plus K09A base.

My question is, is this setup sufficient to run 2 4k monitors (via DisplayPort) for everyday tasks? Not heavy gaming or anything, just basic business functions with some possible streaming from a 4k camera (which is processed by the CPU not the GPU).

A:Multi-Monitor Setup

Hi remulous,
Thanks for posting.
I've checked the internal specifications for the E-Port Plus, and am unable to find an exact answer to your question.  Does your dock look like this?

We may have to wait to see if other users have tried what you're asking about and maybe they will post it here.
Regards,Robert

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19991539
Relevancy 54.61%

Hello
At the moment, I have a Nvidia GeForce 9400 GT. This graphics card has 3 ports, which are; VGA, HDMI and DVI. This has two monitors connected up through the VGA and DVI, to use as a dual monitor setup.
Whenever I try to connect 3 monitors to it, I get a message which says 'This GPU can only support up to two monitors'
The question is:
Is there a workaround this problem? Like some sort of third party software I could use?
If not.. would I need a new graphics card to have a multi monitor setup (3 monitors)?
And could I add a PCI Graphics card and connect another one using that, or would it all just conflict?

Thanks in advance!
-Dan

Relevancy 54.61%

Hi there!
I have switched from ATI cards to Nvidia and right of the bat I am having issues setting up the dual view. With ATI I just told the software that I have to displays and want to have two separate desktops and voila, it was done. With Nvidia I can't do that. I chose the dual-view, but the second desktop does not have the taskbar and when I go full screen with any program the secondary desktop gets moved off screen and part of the first one moves unto it. I am frustrated. Can someone please walk me through it, if it's possible.

A:Multi display setup help needed.

This thread may help (regarding nVidia's Control Panel):
http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=108715&highlight=nvidia+dual+monitor

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/multi-display-setup-help-needed.111876/
Relevancy 54.61%

I've been asked to do a multiple monitor setup at work with around 10 monitors. Buying high end graphics cards isn't an option though, so it would have to be in an inexpensive method. Multiple computers isn't a problem, if something like that is possible. Windows 7 would be the ideal OS, but if it's not possible on there XP or even linux would be ok.

Anyone know of a way to do this? If so, your input would be great.

A:Multi Screen Setup (without after market gpu)

Moved to peripherals board.

You don't need to spend money on high end graphics cards...a couple of cheap low end cards will do as long as you're just doing basic tasks on them.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f78/multi-screen-setup-without-after-market-gpu-276114/
Relevancy 54.61%

I'm trying to install an HP Laserjet Pro 400M401n multi-tray printer on my W8 computer. The install went fine. However, previously, with Windows XP, it was set up on a single virtual USB printer port but it had like three iterations of the printer in the PRINTERS AND DEVICES folder and each one had it's own name that corresponded to a different tray on the printer. How can I set up it up so that it will allow me to choose a different tray as default for the three different types of documents I want to print? For example, if I want to print general correspondence, I use tray one. If I want to print out job tickets, I use tray two, and if I want to print out a delivery memo, I use tray three. I have heard the term "ghosting" but am not familiar with how to do that on W8. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/41379-multi-tray-printer-setup.html
Relevancy 54.61%

I need help from you SME out there, How to setup a Multi-OS boot system using <Win98> <XP Pro> <Vista Ultimate 64> on three separate SATA hard drives. All there is required for operation.
First, I created a RAID stripping with three SATA drives. Using XP Pro partitioned the Array and formatted into three logical drives. Installed XP Pro first without a problem, but my Plextor optical drive would not recognize Win98 CD and stopped any attempts for installation.

Questions.
1. Is it even possible to setup multi-boot OS in RAID configuration?
2. Can multi-boot OS be setup on separate HDD in non RAID configuration?
3. Which sequence should the OS be installed? Assuming Vista 64 is last.

Windows 98 ? drive 01, FAT32
WinXP Pro ? drive 02, NTFS
Vista Ultimate 64 ? 03, NTFS

Thanks in advance.
Myarkangel

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-setup-multi-boot-system.103431/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi I got a client that gave us a unused juniper Netscreen GT NetScreen 5GT IPs) Help Setup Need (With Static Multi Juniper with MIP Firewall that needs to be setup What I am trying to accomplish is we have static IPs Let say to I want to mapped them to RDP port for several internal desktops so that different users can remote into their desktops with each of the IPs Right now we are using as our primary IP for the entire network How do I setup to point to to point to to point to to point to Need Help with Juniper NetScreen 5GT MIP Setup (With Multi Static IPs) to point to My actual netmask is for my public IP as provided by them I read that I need to use MIP to do this I have so far under the untrusted interface of i setup a MIP Mapped IP Netmask tried also Host IP Host Virtual Router trust-vr This Need Help with Juniper NetScreen 5GT MIP Setup (With Multi Static IPs) did not work I have already created the service RDP and try creating a policy around it Name RDP Source address Destination address MIP Service RDP nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-with-juniper-netscreen-5gt-mip-setup-with-multi-static-ips.1039231/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hey there I m having a setup monitors monitor multi in working Two Solved: not bit of trouble with a multi monitor setup Two of my monitors don t seem to be detected by the computer I have Solved: Two monitors not working in multi monitor setup two VTX D Radeon HD graphics cards on CrossFireX In one I have plugged in A Hanns-G AG D Monitor Using a DVI cable A Dell FPW Monitor Using a VGA cable and the VGA-DVI adapter bundled with the graphics card An LG TV Using an HDMI cable On the other one I have connected A Proview PL Monitor Using a VGA Solved: Two monitors not working in multi monitor setup cable and the VGA-DVI adapter bundled with the graphics card I also have a Daewoo DLT- W connected to the motherboard with an HDMI cable The Dell and Proview monitors both connected with a VGA-DVI adapter don t seem Solved: Two monitors not working in multi monitor setup to be detected by the computer at all Nothing saying it s detected but failed to install can t find them in the device manager not detected in Catalyst Control Center or Control Panel etc Any ideas whats gone wrong Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Professional Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - K CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD Series - Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd Z XP-UD x x Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated and Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 53.75%

Here s the sitrep Had an old PC sitting around the router setup dsl Solved: cable Multi-port house with Win se os on it Decided to upgrade and connect to the internet I purchased a Linksys port cable dsl router Solved: Multi-port dsl cable router setup and tried following the setup procedures to link the two computers I had the old compuer with Win se and the newer computer Solved: Multi-port dsl cable router setup with WinXP Couldn t get it to work So since and don t have much time I gave up One year passes give or take a few months I still want to link the two computers and get access the internet on both though the router which to this point i haven t been able to get to work So I decide that the old computer Win se is too old to link with the other WinXP I purchase a new tower with Vista home basic os Connected the new tower and old monitor and go though the setup and connection to get the two computers setup though the router to the internet I do it Both computers are connected to the internet Happy as lark and proud that I d finally got the problem beat I go to shutdown both computers but I can t log off my dsl account no problem I quot ll just shut down the computers leaving the dst link open and all will be well The next day I boot both computers and only have internet access to Winxp computer and no access to the Vista computer I mad now I call Linksys and calmly go though the process and problem The reply was the router was out of warrenty and they would be glad to help for the orginal cost of the router Aint no way I can t help but wonder that I did something wrong during the setup or there was I something I was suppose to do to sync or allow the two computers to access the internet though the router Of course the provider isn t any help they state that a hard wire router should work with the present dsl modem I know it s a long story any ideas or help nbsp

A:Solved: Multi-port dsl cable router setup

from your post, just a little confused,
are the router and modem separate?
[and it IS a wired router, not wireless, right?]
just curiosity, what model router?
did you try to just 'reset' everything?
turn everything, modem, router, computers, off,
let set for few minutes,
then power on, one thing at a time,
power on the modem first, if separate,
power on the router, let lights stabilise,
push the reset button on the router,
[usually just push a little recessed button on the back / bottom with a paper clip],
let lights stabilise,
power on a pc,
renew the ip configurations settings,
reboot,
check internet access,
do same to other pc,

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-multi-port-dsl-cable-router-setup.803203/
Relevancy 53.75%

Here is my problem. I had a 32 bit Vista installed on my machine first. Then I installed Windows 7 on another partition, thinking that I'd have a dual boot set up. But the second OS became the default system to appear after a bootup and the bootup manager did not appear at all.

So I tried creating another partition and installing another OS there -- this time XP. Now XP became the default OS, and bootup manager still did not appear.

Using EasyBCD, I made sure that the other OSes were properly recorded in the bootup manager. They were. But still...the bootup manager did not appear during bootup.

What do you think I should do? Obviously Windows' bootup manager is somehow impaired. Should I try GRUB?

A:How to make bootup manager appear in multi boott setup?

Hi picardo,
Post a screenshot of Disk Management and the contents of bcd from the Easybcd program.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/22841-how-make-bootup-manager-appear-multi-boott-setup.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Here is my problem. I had a 32 bit Vista installed on my machine first. Then I installed Windows 7 on another partition, thinking that I'd have a dual boot set up. But the second OS became the default system to appear after a bootup and the bootup manager did not appear at all.

So I tried creating another partition and installing another OS there -- this time XP. Now XP became the default OS, and bootup manager still did not appear.

Using EasyBCD, I made sure that the other OSes were properly recorded in the bootup manager. They were. But still...the bootup manager did not appear during bootup.

What do you think I should do? Obviously Windows' bootup manager is somehow impaired. Should I try GRUB?

A:How to make bootup manager appear in multi boott setup?

Make sure the timeout hasn't been set to 0
Open an Administrative Command Prompt (Click Start, type cmd, press CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER, hold CTRL+SHIFT until the window opens)
type bcdedit |findstr "timeout" and press Enter
If it's set to 0, type this to change it to 15 seconds (or what ever you choose):
bcdedit /timeout 15

HTH

Jerry

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-make-bootup-manager-appear-in-multi-boott-setup-409252.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Anyone tried a 5000/6000 series Radeon for video, HDCP, etc., along with FireMV low-end 2D multi-monitor display cards?

I'm trying to build a dual-use system where a couple of the monitor can be driven by a Radeon capable of transcoding, Blu-Ray, HDCP, etc. and the others are just low-wattage DisplayPort 2D cards for financial screens.

Can they co-exist in the same system, assuming the correct drivers are installed to each, etc.?

I don't need or want the power consumption or dual-slot use for 6 2D displays, nor do they have to do any digital "heavy lifting", but I don't mind, and sort of need, if possible, a modest 4000/5000/6000 Radeon card for a couple of the monitors.

Odd, I know, but has anyone tried anything approaching this?

Thanks.

A:ATI HD5000 or HD6000 & FireMV multi-monitor setup - can you?

Any HD4000 series card or above is capable of displaying two screens, either mirrored, or extended across two displays.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ati-hd5000-or-hd6000-firemv-multi-monitor-setup-can-you.166439/
Relevancy 53.75%

I am looking for ideas on the best server, OS, hardware and software configuration for a multi-user (5-8 computers/terminals) to share a broadband link, files, backup system, and printers. The software being run would be AutoCAD in addition to MS Office and accounting software.

The existing hardware are several desktop and notebook systems running Windows XP.

I don't know anything about server technology and don't want to become an expert. My preference would be to get something configured that someone else (a third party service company) could monitor and maintain. I just want to run the software quickly and efficiently without worrying about security, etc.

Any and all ideas and websites or companies to check out would be appreciated. Thank you.

B

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/best-setup-for-multi-user-system-running-autocad.809435/
Relevancy 52.89%

So I have an Asus M4A78-E motherboard which has an onboard Radeon 3300. As well, I have a Radeon 5850 in the PCI-E slot. When I try to force the BIOS to have them both activated, like I did with Windows 7, Windows 8 gives me this system thread exception error thing. The screen goes by too quickly to catch more of what it says. Does anyone have any solutions? I really don't want to lose access to my third monitor.

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/52722-multi-monitor-setup-using-onboard-radeon-3300-woes.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have more than one email account more than several quite a few actually And often I need to find a person or setup across pre-defined search to multi-inboxes? How Outlook Genious? subject across all of these folders multiple inbox foldersand Outlook Genious? How to setup pre-defined search across multi-inboxes? multiple sent folders at the same time Now I can quot instant search quot across all mail folders but I would like a folder or button to click for each of the many searches that I need to perform It SEEMS that I can only have search folders WITHIN a mail folder I need to search across Outlook Genious? How to setup pre-defined search across multi-inboxes? them all Examples Show me all the email messages in my converstations with my buddy James across all email accounts FYI No my buddy James does not email to me at just a single account Show me all the Agile community messages from LinkedIn my blog subscriptions etc Show me all messages with quot properties to consider quot in the subject across all accounts Show me all messages with quot Statement now available quot or quot Your VISA account quot or quot payment is due quot in the subject across all accounts Show me all messages with attachments across all email accounts While I can dynamically manually construct a search for these things each time I would really appreciate a single-click solution I currently use Outlook but I would upgrade to if neccessary Thanks for helping

A:Outlook Genious? How to setup pre-defined search across multi-inboxes?

Hi Soho,

Im not sure if its the same in 2007, but in Outlook 2010 when clicking the the Search Tools icon (circled below) there is an option to nominate which accounts to include in the search. In my case, I have two email accounts, and both are ticked, so I think thats the default setting in Outlook 2010.

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/microsoft-office/155811-outlook-genious-how-setup-pre-defined-search-across-multi-inboxes.html
Relevancy 48.16%

So my issue is that when I log into Monitor side under over side resets environment setup not Multi to by my computer it will some times not all the time revert from a side by side multi monitor setup to a over under setup Like if you go into screen resolution settings I will have it set to monitor on Multi Monitor environment resets to over under setup not side by side the left and monitor on the right then when I Multi Monitor environment resets to over under setup not side by side lock the computer and then log back in it will have monitor positioned over the top of monitor nbsp I'm thinking there is possibly a default that it keeps going back to but I'm not sure where I would look for that other than the screen resolution settings Another possibility for the origin of this problem could be Microsoft User Experience Virtualization Agent which we have installed on all our computers here to synchronize the various setting we have connected to our profiles It looks like UEV might synchronize monitor layout settings and with that it could be some how defaulting on an over under set up Overall I am unsure of what to do about his nbsp

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4290bed6-9fe9-4bad-bdd1-90bcb1179fa8/multi-monitor-environment-resets-to-over-under-setup-not-side-by-side?forum=w7itproui
Relevancy 48.16%

I have a setup with 6 monitors. Today my main monitor broke and I couldn't find a way to shut the PC down since I couldn't access the main desktop to get to the Start menu.

Is there a way to change which monitor is the main monitor without having access to the current main monitor?

A:How do I access my main monitor if broken in a multi-monitor setup?

Unplug that monitor and reboot? (power button)

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/97966-how-do-i-access-my-main-monitor-if-broken-multi-monitor-setup.html
Relevancy 48.16%

So my issue is that when I log into my computer it will some times not all the time revert from a side by side multi monitor setup to a over under setup Like if you go into screen resolution settings I will have it set to monitor on the left and monitor on the right then when I lock the computer and then log back in it will have monitor positioned over the top of monitor I'm thinking there is possibly a default that it keeps going back to but I'm not sure where I would look for that other than the screen resolution settings Another possibility for the origin of this problem could be Microsoft User Experience Virtualization Agent which we have installed on all our computers here to synchronize the various setting we have connected to our profiles It looks like UEV might synchronize monitor layout settings and with that it could be some how defaulting on an over under set up Overall I am unsure of what to do about his Any one Monitor by to over resets side under side environment Multi setup not have any ideas

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/386366-multi-monitor-environment-resets-over-under-setup-not-side-side.html
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi I m here Vista setup XP boot on multi-boot Can't or either to ask for some help and try to save a Windows installation that went south last night probably due to an impestuous push of a few wrong buttons I ll try to be as brief as possible to highlight steps leading up to the failure My system Dell Inspiron laptop vintage on home network with a separate but nearly identical machine Three partitions C OEM Vista GB gb free D XP Pro SP add-on program files GB gb free E Data and Storage files GB GB free On this multiboot system I d removed most of the Dell fluff it came with except the necessary drivers XP Pro is my working OS and has been tweeked and twisted ad infinitum Vista apart from Windows updates remains virtually untouched The event I d finished a week of some major overhauls to various video editing software most kosher some not Numerous reboots etc and no problems At the end of the mission the combination of fatigue a few Can't boot either XP or Vista on multi-boot setup bin files that wouldn t open and an argument with a family member led me to do a rash clean-up of my system temp file which by the way is on the E partition Basically I removed Can't boot either XP or Vista on multi-boot setup most anything Windows would let me And I also Can't boot either XP or Vista on multi-boot setup emptied the trash can Windows seemed to shut down normally Upon reboot I reached the multi-boot screen selected XP per usual the XP loading logo started up and then stayed there No further R W disk movement Nothing To investigate no problem I thought to simply fire up Vista to have a look Except Vista wouldn t boot either Following the boot choice Vista would turn over a few seconds a very brief blue screen with a message would flash for a fraction of a second and the computer would reboot all over again The blue screen message is A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer UNMOUNTABLE BOOT VOLUME It then goes on to inform me to restart check hard and software installs disable new hardware disable BIOS memory cache shadowing etc Last good configuration on either system was of no use But I was lucky to be able to get into Vista s safe mode On XP safe mode led to a multidisk boot screen that scrolled down to system drivers AVGIDseh sys and then stopped cold I never even reached the welcome screen My personal intuition re the problem in decreasing order of priority Driver deletions virus hard disk pre-failure I mention the latter since I know there are a few bad sectors I ve done far too many defrags of big files on this comp and have even started to hear muffled clicks here and there coming from the left side of the machine In fact I was just on the point of installing a second external back up drive A further detail that may or may not be relevant One of my programs loaded a new version of Microsoft Visual C Redistributable Package with the option to restore the old dlls which oddly remained on my E partition And as for viruses I always run new third-party exe files past either AVG and Malwarebytes and don t think anything got past them But who knows If it s not a virus it seems it must be one or more common dlls to both OS installs before the branching off to the respective GUI setups But what I really would appreciate some help on this especially if it is other than the Re-install the OS variety Believe me my setup is so full of odds and ends and weird configurations that it s certain I d never fully recover my setup Even if XP had become extremely bloated over the last months This is the first disaster I ve had with this comp and it really hurts So thanks for any help you can offer

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/372907/cant-boot-either-xp-or-vista-on-multi-boot-setup/
Relevancy 46.01%

OK I get this brand new LG GSA B for Christmas I install it and it won t read blank DVD s nothing doesn t matter what name brand I tried everything I can think of I uninstalled both the drive and the IDE controller and rebooted Nothing I checked of the internal windows burning software nothing Updated the firware nothing Flashed my system bios nothing pissing Multi drive off me LG Tride several different softwares eg Nero and Roxio plus others Nothing It s on the seconday IDE controller Master because its the only drive I have read every single post on this forum about DVD burner problems and nothing And this be the second drive The first one I took into the shop because LG Multi drive pissing me off I thought it was a dud they worked on it replaced the drive did some quot software tweaks quot which cost me and It worked for a couple of days then stopped I know it LG Multi drive pissing me off s a windows problem I just dont know what PLease for the love of god help me blackeye nbsp

A:LG Multi drive pissing me off

this is family forum what the cussing
just calm down it's not worth blow a vain over
it's new ask the perso who bought it if you can do return
contact LG for return info
at this point I would suggest pio mode or check for eror in udma mode,but not sure that would help and I think you spent enought time on it
dump the drive

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lg-multi-drive-pissing-me-off.42639/
Relevancy 46.01%

I have a LG Super Super-Multi DVD-RAM on in Drive WXP Multi Drive and read about DVD-RAM s ability to read and write just like a hard drive deleting and over-writing etc and thought that was perfect for backing up files that change slightly without having to re-format a DVD RW disk every time to do so So I bought a -pack Panasonic DVD-RAM disks for the price of DVD-R s I might add and tried them Windows XP opens a window says the disk needs to be formatted try to format it in FAT type but format cannot complete for unknown reason So WXP is not the medium to do this SO try Nero Burning Rom it also formats the disk then writes to it just like any other but still no magical ability demonstrated to deleted and add files as easily as various websites suggested unless hidden deep in some arcane part of ther software Also tried Ashampoo Burning Studio with same effect as Nero In other words apart from quality of brand-name disks and perhaps x more rewrites than the best DVD RW I am not sure what I got for my money As for the rewrites I am sure that no matter how careful I am I cannot keep the surface of the loose DVD-RAM free of scratches for uses So PLEASE someone tell me how to achieve the pot of gold namely to DVD-RAM on Super-Multi Drive in WXP use a DVD-RAM disk just as if it were a hard drive nbsp

A:DVD-RAM on Super-Multi Drive in WXP

FAT or FAT32?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-ram-on-super-multi-drive-in-wxp.455419/
Relevancy 46.01%

My computer is giving me an error message that says the multi function drive is tryng to run 16 bit and 32 bit drivers at the same time. How can I fix this?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/multi-function-drive.614716/
Relevancy 46.01%

Just wondering., as a friend who owns a recordings studio wishes to duplicate mass-style, he has 5 PCs on the go at the moment, but would be much handier having a dedicated burning machine. Getting such an amount of drives together is no problem (Controller cards etc), but what software can address multiple drives at once?

A:Multi-drive burning?

Tick a checkbox in Ahead Nero..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/multi-drive-burning.94470/
Relevancy 46.01%

I have two IDE channels on my mobo(ASUS TUSL2-C) and am currently running C drive (system) as Master, D Drive (audio files) as slave both on channel 1.

CD-RW as master on channel 2.

(Running Cubase SX)

I have heard that I would be better off having the disk with the audio files on as the secondary master.

How can I reconfigure the setup as the CD drive only has a 40 way cable and not an 80.
I'm not sure that the Drive even supports UDMA ( its a Yamaha CD-RW 8424).

What I would like to do is have the CD-RW as the slave on channel 1 and put the audio files drive on its own on Channel 2

Can I still attach the CD-RW as the slave on channel 1 using the 80 way, and will this actually make any noticable improvement in performance?

Thanks.

Relevancy 46.01%

ga x38 quad 6 mb, with vista question is can I run two sata drive in system with one having 32 bit os and the other with 64 bit. the 64 bit is 500gb 32 bit is 80gb. I used the 32 bit for games because 64 bit does not allow me to run the games when I go online.

A:multi hard drive

Your post is somewhat difficult to understand.
If you are asking if you can dual boot vista32 bit and vista64 bit, yes you can.

Each os needs to be installed in it's own partition or drive. Note if you use two drives, the vista boot files ie BCD will be installed on the root of your boot drive. If you remove the boot drive, the other one will not boot until you repair the BCD files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/multi-hard-drive.685304/
Relevancy 46.01%

I have a desktop with several hard drives. I want to find all mp3 files [on every hard drive], and copy to an external drive.

Any suggestions

A:multi drive search help ?

If you are on Windows 7, go to the start menu, then Computer, and type in *.mp3 into the search box and it will search all drives. This may also work on Vista but I haven't seen Vista in years so not 100% sure.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/multi-drive-search-help-694831.html
Relevancy 45.58%

My problem is that I have a 500 gig sata hard drive, and im trying to run windows xp. i want to split that hard drive into 2 partitions, im guessing like 120 for 1 and the rest for the other partition, but here is my problem, I split the hard drive into like around 130 gigs and installed windows xp and i do not see the rest of it anymore. what did i do wrong? did I need a program ? I even went into computer management/diskmanagement and i still dont see any other space availble on that hard drive. do i need to remove everything and start over or is it that sata cant be split?

Relevancy 45.58%

Hullo there,
Im new to these forums and this is also my first time posting in a forum. Anyways, the above mentioned dvd burner (LG GSA-H10N) is only recognized as a CD-Rom drive and so doesn't burn dvds. I've read some of the other threads and others have similar problems but they neither seemed to get solved, or just didnt work for me. I just bought it today and I dont think the drive is defective. Sorry if there is someone else who already posted this problem and any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks

A:LG super multi DVD drive not recognized in XP

Hello, Welcome to Techspot. Please read the link in my signature so you can know what to expect and how to behave.

What software are you using to burn dvds? What is the error message? What have you tried in these that "just didn't work" for you?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lg-super-multi-dvd-drive-not-recognized-in-xp.67463/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi,

Is it possible to enable my DVD drive on my computer to be multi region?

A:Enable DVD drive to be Multi Region

no worries, I just tried in vlc media player and that will play different regions for me

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/enable-dvd-drive-to-be-multi-region.848614/
Relevancy 45.58%

I have a custom built tower PC
Win_7 x64 bit

Drive "C" = SSD for OS and programs only
Drive "D' = internal HHD data only

Desktop > Recycle Bin > RClick > Properties ...
... lists both drives "C" and "D"

My concern is that deleted files/folders are assigned to "C"
Can recycle bin be located in "D" drive ?
I am trying to keep my SSD as "uncluttered" as possible
-----
I have also noticed all external HDD have a hidden "recycle-bin"
Can items be recovered from that "phantom" folder ? Or is it just a mirage. ?
When I reformated a thumb drive to NTFS it auto created a hidden "Recycle Bin" on the thumb drive.

Thank you

A:Recycle bin location on multi drive PC

W7 creates a recycle bin on each hdd as default. This link well give you additional info.

Change the Recycle Bin settings

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/304112-recycle-bin-location-multi-drive-pc.html
Relevancy 45.58%

Had no idea were to put this so I posted the question here Recently I have had more bootable recovery programs than flash drives so i was wondering to myself if it is possible to set up a massive multiboot flash drive Now I would like to know if it is possible and how hard it would be to partition a flash drive If it is possible i would like to set up partitions as i believe that is the max that the old bios system can support on a single disk After that I would like to put on several flash want boot.......on drive. multi set to I up a a bootable programs such as these Kasperky rescue disk An antivirus Linux Probably Mint or maybe Mint mate You can suggest the best version Windows XP I would like it on there A bootable partition manager such as minitool partition wizard A bootable undelete program I have done some work with them recently and I want to set up a multi boot.......on a flash drive. find them fascinating Something to repair a bios if a flash goes wrong Basically a full rescue package Feel free to add on if you like Here are some questions I dont know if what i am trying to do is possible I would want a boot manager to give me the option of witch os i want from the flash drive The reason I want multiple partitions is some programs like different file formats Such as Fat Ntfs and i heard linux likes ext file system If the operating systems have the same file extension such as all FAT than can i put them all on the same partition Sorry dumb question but I don't do dual boots much What do you guys think of this project Is it doable Thanks Edit I would like the operating systems to be extracted Not installers For example xp boots just like if it were on your hard drive

A:I want to set up a multi boot.......on a flash drive.

Use YUMI YUMI ? Multiboot USB Creator | USB Pen Drive Linux

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/323673-i-want-set-up-multi-boot-flash-drive.html
Relevancy 45.58%

I have a new PC which has a SONY CD/DVD combo drive and also a SONY DVD RW drive.

For the first 5 uses of each they are multi regional, but after that they default to last used region, if I don't set it in the meantime. Now the question is, is it possible to prevent this happening and keeping them as multi regional or not?

I know I can set one a R1 & one at R2 but I don't really want to do that.

Can anyone help please

Relevancy 45.58%

Is the data on the other physical drives safe through an installation?
Hopefully this is not a completely unusual installation.

I have a
32GB SSD drive with the windows 7 evaluation build (7100) running well.
This was and will be my Windows 7 ultimate Installation drive and Boot disk.

Multiple other Sata drives previously used as Data Storage (MP3's, JPG's) AND program file installations for the evaluation period.

The question is, can I leave the current data directories in place and utilize them for the new installation? I'd rather leave the music and pictures in place.

I can always go back and clean out the old program folders I think....
Anyone out there have a clue?

A:Multi-Drive 7 Ultimate installation on top SSD

Yes, your files should remain safely on other HD's during reinstall as if on an external. Of course, a second backup is extra insurance.

Suggest you place your programs on same HD as OS, since they have to be reinstalled anyway.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/68646-multi-drive-7-ultimate-installation-top-ssd.html
Relevancy 45.58%

I have an ICY Dock bay drive enclosure that drive enclosure multi Accessing is attached to a Win machine that i would like to be able to access from a few other machines an iMac a mac book pro and another Win Ultimate machine In the past I have been able to access the Icy Dock ID Accessing multi drive enclosure through a very convoluted and bassackward form of windows sharing Accessing multi drive enclosure I had to go into advanced sharing and change permissions and a half dozen other things that eventually let me access the ID most of the time I recently had to buy a new port hub and a wireless router and since doing that I have been unsuccessful in reestablishing a connection to the ID I have not tried much yet because all of the setting are still Accessing multi drive enclosure intact in the advanced sharing of the folders on the drives Can someone help me establish a way to share this drive bay with these other machines Please don't suggest a NAS setup that will not work for me I have been down that road and it is not the solution for me Windows home group does not seem to work for any number of reasons and I don't know if the home group feature will allow an OSX machine access I will gladly supply all of the network equipment model numbers if needed I would like to know if I am in the right area for this question before I go too far Thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/400328-accessing-multi-drive-enclosure.html
Relevancy 45.58%

after pc was infected both these drives do not work wny longer. Virus/trojans were found and removed with helo from other forum.

these drives worked before virus.

please help.

Relevancy 45.58%

I have a CANDY multi DVD drive-----a USB pluggable thing.

Good little unit, and handy.

Wouldn't ya know it, but I've lost the key the mfr supplies with it. I normally put key cards carefully in the box, and tape them in place. But, for some reason, I've lost this one.

I have a different computer, both run Windows XP. To plut the software for this on my 2nd computer-----you guessed it----I need the key.

I wrote to CANDY (a Taiwan firm), no response.

Is there anything to do? I wonder if this is a "throw it away" deal -- or ????

Relevancy 45.58%

I was just wondering, what does a "multi-read CDROM drive" mean? I am writing to a CDRW on a HP CD WRITER PLUS 7200i, and Roxio EZ CD Creator 5 told me that since the CD is a CDRW, it can only be read on a multi-read CDROM Drive. What does this mean and how do I know if I have a multi-read CDROM Drive?

A:What is a multi-read CDROM Drive?

Hi ilusha2,
It means that your cdrom must be able to read CDRW's.Check the documentation with your cdrom drive. Or go to the manufacturers web site to get the specs. Im not sure but you should be able to read the CDRW on your CDRW drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/what-is-a-multi-read-cdrom-drive.97991/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi I ve thought of building a NAS recently as in a Home NAS with custom Computer Parts The problem is that I don t really have enough room to fit a Full Solved: Multi-Bay Drive enclosure? ATX case as I have Solved: Multi-Bay Drive enclosure? a spot reserved for a small Nas Box in the corner of a room So what I want to do is have a separate enclosure to stack on top of that case so the System takes up space in the Z direction and not the X Y direction I know there are Solved: Multi-Bay Drive enclosure? lots of Multi-Bay NAS Boxes out there Problem is they re NAS boxes and have more than just Solved: Multi-Bay Drive enclosure? basic housing IE they include a chip or a board inside that allows it to control the bays to be set for RAID and that raises the price by - from what I ve seen I do not need that additional add on as I would have already built a nas Box for that purpose and do not have money to burn on a function that I would never use Also my reason for a custom nas built from computer parts is Flexibility and Options Also I ve seen some NAS boxes built with a USB Out Does that not bottleneck the transfer speed of their NAS boxes This is why I would prefer a Enclosure for a USB or thunderbolt I appologize for the long wording just wondering if anyone would happen to know of a multi Bay Drive enclosure at around Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Solved: Multi-Bay Drive enclosure?

If you want multiple drives in this 'unit' then it will have to have a chip of some kind to make all those drives function, ie. RAID or have an individual connection for each drive which would also likely make each drive independent and an individual share. If you don't need RAID then an single drive enclosure would suffice.

Why not just install an internal drive in the PC you wish to use as the NAS instead of making it external? You don't need a full size ATX case for a PC tasked as a NAS. You can generally install several drives in most cases, even using the 5.25" bays with adapters to install 3.5" or 2.5" drives.

A NAS is Network Attached Storage, a box you connect to a PC via USB would not be a NAS but a USB drive enclosure or a DAS; Direct Attached Storage. That whole PC with that box that includes the drives could be considered a NAS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-multi-bay-drive-enclosure.1101469/
Relevancy 45.58%

hello, can anyone help me please???? I have 6 hard drives on my system. 4 of which are connected through IDE cables to a promise ATA card plugged into a PCI slot. The other drives as well as 2 DVD/RW drives are connected through the IDE connections on the mobo. I have split wire 39 on the IDE cables for separate activity LED's. the ones connected through the mobo, work perfectly, but the ones on the ATA card will not be detected in the bios, or windows unless pin 39 is connected together. All the drives are configured correctly with the Master/Slave jumpers in the correct place, and none are set to CS. Please help me resolve this issue with the separation of channels on the ATA card. I can build circuits if need be. Thanks in advance for any 411 anyone may provide.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/multi-hard-drive-activity-led-help.563534/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hello everybody I'm reletively new on this forum and I've spent a lot of time reading posts here concerning innovative installation methods and various With SSD Multi-boot, Partition of Multi-Disk Cons / Pros Scheme approaches to partitioning This forum really has some great info and users I'm an old school guy going back to the days before PCs even existed Electronics has always circulated in my bloodstream I'm an old dog but open to new tricks I decided to overhaul my primary workhorse computer See this thread for full description by adding an SSD and rearranging my drivespace as one Pros / Cons of Multi-boot, Multi-Disk Partition Scheme With SSD of my drives was failing I had an GB Vertex SSD scavanged from another system and thus I hatched my new partition scheme to use it Long story short is that after multiple trials I came to the conclusion the SSD was causing me much trouble probably failing due to it's age GB was a mighty tight fit anyway to boot operating systems So today I ordered a new SSD a low cost GB Sandisk Plus from Amazon paying less than including shipping by using a discount coupon I had At this point I'm asking myself whether I should scrap all of the MBR partitioned disks and use only GPT disks In reading this thread I see it's now possible to boot Windows installed on GPT using a non UEFI legacy BIOS which is good b c that's all my mobo supports That thread also requires at least a minimal MBR image be it on a floppy VHD or other virtual image or via some other clever quot trick quot to allow either winload exe or bootmgr to live in the MBR world but still be able to find the SYSROOT partition on GPT media I think this reboot pro post is the approach that best matches my requirements and I am going to use it if I can It's a matter of whether I can obtain all of the pieces like the modified wimboot My days of Windows development are long gone and I am no longer familiar with the tools Almost everything is Net now Linux on the other hand is where any dev work I do takes place I'll have to look at the github info and see if the changes to wimboot are within my skills and desire to do On the other hand I could stick with the simple MBR scheme for the SSD as I began with and avoid the need to use clever tricks to boot Windows That won't work to boot Windows I'll need to use the bag of tricks for that So that being the case why not go GPT all the way So I'd like to hear from any of you out there who have built a similar multi-boot system and have input as to the pros and cons of a GPT only vs mixed MBR GPT partitioning scheme or if you have any words of wisdom regarding optimmizing Windows for use with an SSD I've been reading those threads here too good info for sure but if you have anything to add I quot m all ears

A:Pros / Cons of Multi-boot, Multi-Disk Partition Scheme With SSD

To the best of my knowledge MBR will work just find for drives smaller than 2 TB.
Drives bigger than that need to be GPT.

A little info from Microsoft.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2581408

Quote:
In order for an operating system to fully support storage devices that have capacities that exceed 2 terabytes (2 TB, or 2 trillion bytes), the device must be initialized by using the GUID partition table (GPT) partitioning scheme. This scheme supports addressing of the full range of storage capacity. If the user intends to start the computer from one of these large disks, the system’s base firmware interface must use the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) and not BIOS.

More helpful info from one of Brinks tutorials.

Hard Drive - GPT or MBR

More information if need be.

How to Convert a MBR Disk to a GPT Disk
How to Convert a GPT Disk to a MBR Disk

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/389632-pros-cons-multi-boot-multi-disk-partition-scheme-ssd.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Does anyone know of a way to take several different ISO's (multiple Windows ISO's, Ubuntu, Hiren's Boot CD, etc.) and put them onto a flash drive from which I can boot and select one?
I've tried several different utilities thus far - unetbootin, YUMI, XBoot - but none have allowed me to successfully add all my images.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

A:How to create multi-boot flash drive

Hi,
Are you looking to enable "persistence" (your settings etc saved) for your images?
If so have you tried this ...
"Saving Changes: Persistence can be added to Ubuntu based distributions by using the PDL Casper-RW creator to first create the file on your USB. Then, simply add the word persistent to the append line of corresponding .cfg file found in the /multiboot/menu directory. Only one distribution can use persistence."
From here: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/yumi-multiboot-usb-creator/ and scroll down to 'Known Issues'.

Hope I'm not barking up the wrong tree?

Richard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-create-multi-boot-flash-drive.1049329/
Relevancy 45.15%

My boys want to play multi-player between our 98 & XP but I can't seem to get it to work. Readme says the client & host have to be using the same executable which they are but the 98 system says it "could not create DirectPlay connection" neither when hosting nor joining. As host the XP system connects without a problem using the default perameters however, I'm not sure that is right with our wireless network for it to be connecting to a comm port.

Any help would be appreciated.

Please & thank you,
Terspichore

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/test-drive-off-road-2-multi-player.372857/
Relevancy 45.15%

Does anyone know of a way to take several different ISO's (multiple Windows ISO's, Ubuntu, Hiren's Boot CD, etc.) and put them onto a flash drive from which I can boot and select one?
I've tried several different utilities thus far - unetbootin, YUMI, XBoot - but none have allowed me to successfully add all my images.

Any input would be appreciated!

A:How to create multi-boot flash drive

To do it with Win7 and Vista either 32- or 64-bit or mixed, write the Win7 ISO to stick using UltraISO trial version: on File tab open ISO, on Bootable tab Write Disk Image, Format, Write. This extracts the files to stick. Sweep them into a folder for storage when not booting - they must be out in root to boot.

Now you can extract the other Win7 and Vista ISO's into their own folders to use the same way to boot the stick which is already bootsected with /nt60.

As for the other tools you mention, if they use nt60 to boot then you can try to get them to boot the same way placing extracted files into the root with no other bootable ISO's extracted in root at time (keep in folders). If not you may need to install GRUB or another boot manager to stick to boot them - more trouble than I'm willing to do on the 16gb tools stick I carry in my pocket which has everything I need stored alongside the ISO's.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/224449-how-create-multi-boot-flash-drive.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I have been  seeing lots of event id 11 cdrom errors in my event log for the last few weeks, is my drive failing?Computer is running Windows 7 and according to system information there are no problem devices.If I put a disc in it, you can see it light up but thats all, nothing else happens, no other message is shownI've tried reinstalling it but still no joy, any other suggestions I could try especially as it hasnt been used that often,Thanks

http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/Aspire-5750-multi-drive-error/td-p/449560
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello, I am wondering if anyone could tell me how to make both a bootable flash drive and bootable cd similar to hirens boot cd. I have about 5 boot utilities that I use on a daily basis for my job and am just wondering how to put those utilities on a single flash drive and cd and choose which one I need from a menu. it doesn't need to be anything fancy. thanks in advance!

Relevancy 45.15%

I noticed there was a problem similar to mine at techspot com vb topic Strange problem drive multi-hard html Mine though has hit all my HD s except C When I try to double click the drive it comes up with an error msg My drive icons are all folders I can type in the drive letter in the address bar and access the drives luckily and when I open my Strange multi-hard drive problem task manager I have a winlogon exe file loaded that is in my C Documents and Settings user Application Data I have tried to get rid of the winlogon exe and autorun inf files manually also editing my msconfig startup and services and also the run entries in registry I have used norton av avast avg mcafee and a few other virus and mal spyware programs Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don t want to format again It seems everytime I go onto Strange multi-hard drive problem youtube com I get some kind of Strange multi-hard drive problem virus I stopped using it but a friend of mine used my computer and went on youtube and screwed my computer up Is there a way to stop certain programs from running on a computer without using third party software I am using WinXP sp nbsp

A:Strange multi-hard drive problem

Hey,

if you believe this issue to be related to viruses (and seeing as your winlogon.exe is in your documents and settings I would agree) then you should post here:
http://www.techspot.com/vb/menu28.html

they will have you do all the steps necessary steps to try and get rid of the infection as well as any others that may be there. Be aware that you may have to go to the point of re-formatting and re-installing windows to get rid of the problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/strange-multi-hard-drive-problem.161251/
Relevancy 45.15%

Firstly let system from problems Boot drive multi me explain my setup I have just installed a new TB hard drive the plan being to test drive windows on one partition of a triple boot with windows amp There is a th partition named Data Windows amp are installed and both work when I can get them to boot Windows in an empty partition at present There are other TB drives for data in the system Problem is the TB data drives Disc amp both have bootmgr on them but they should not have It depends on how I cable the drives as to what Boot problems from multi drive system choices of operating system I get presented with I'm writing this on a clean install of Windows but as can be seen Boot problems from multi drive system from the screenshot of EasyBCD it shows Windows as entry number one This was on my old hard drive now removed from the computer How can I get just the main drive to be the one to boot with a choice of operating system regardless of which cable is plugged into which disk

A:Boot problems from multi drive system

I suppose some info might be in order. When you install an MBR configured system, the install will put the boot files on the drive listed as primary in the Bios. This is probably what happened when Disk 2 was made the System partition and it boots into Windows 8 on Disk 0.

Any active partition has the potential to be a System (boot Files) partition and able to boot your system if configured to do so.

The system will boot to the first active partition it comes to following the drive priority in the Bios. When you change the connections, you are effectively changing that order, but it is better to change it in the Bios.

You might want to set the current Disk 0 as first priority in the Bios and see where the System partition is. If it doesn't boot, set it back to its present configuration.

Have you made any changes using EasyBCD, and if so do you remember what they were?

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/55192-boot-problems-multi-drive-system.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I ve been reading and watching tutorials on this for weeks There always seems to be something wrong Either it works until I get to the install screen which gives me some junk about DVD Drivers or there is an error in Grub DOS Sometimes I stumble upon a tool that works like EasyBCD for example but I can only get one installation on it because I can t use sub folders So the other OS s would just overwrite the previous ones At first I found it quite interesting that Flash Installation Need Drive? Multi-OS on creating help a I could create a boot menu with a custom background and text even color the text But after failing so many times I d like to have just a basic black background with the white text kind of like the screen on a dual boot PC Then I can back it up to my desktop and mess with it all I want The problem being that only takes that portion out of the tutorials I still of course still need to go though the set up of the menu even for basic layouts The truth being it s not much easier even without the eye candy which is why I m here If I didn t already Need help on creating a Multi-OS Installation Flash Drive? throw you out of this thread with the lack of Need help on creating a Multi-OS Installation Flash Drive? point and thoughtless speeches here is some real info Main Point Create a USB Flash Drive that can be booted off of to install any Windows but XP Because of its format Problem Error in coding installs not supported or limited to one install per partition Possible Solutions but Failed Making multiple partitions for each install using sub folders to contain each install within the root of the Flash Drive and making my own version of the BCD Tech Sheet USB Gb Flash Drive FAT Default prefer NTFS Windows Enterprise but using Ultimate for now because I don t have anymore VL CD-Keys Install Files are iso and wim formats if needed Except XP of course which is restricted to iso for now If any more info is required I ll do my best to supply it Thanks for any help DWreck nbsp

A:Need help on creating a Multi-OS Installation Flash Drive?

The info here might help :- http://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/multipartufd

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-on-creating-a-multi-os-installation-flash-drive.1110882/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi,
I am having a problem with my DVD burner (LG GSA-4167b). It is failing to read ALL of my cds and DVDs. When i insert a disc it makes a kind of laser reading noise and then stops. I my computer it changes to a cd-rom drive.

My first inpression is that the drive had failed but i only have it for 6 months.
The last thing i did on it was burn a movie to dvd, after that it has this problem, i have made no hardware or software changes only installed Lavalys Everest Ultimate Edition, which im sure isint part of the problem.

Any help would be great as i need this urgently to burn some data.

A:LG Super Multi DVD Drive Failing To Read !!!

Hi

From the threads I have read on here, most DVD burners have a very short life span, the more you use the less time it lasts basically. it is possible that the disks you have may be faulty, that to has been mentioned here before and people who have changed their brand of disks sometimes find the problem stops.

I dont think there are any DVD test tools you can use to test it but I may be wrong.

If it is faulty, I would suggest buying a better brand than LG, these are the cheapest on the market and use 3rd party boards inside. I'm no definative expert on what is the best make to buy, but like anything else you get what you pay for.

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/lg-super-multi-dvd-drive-failing-to-read.67398/
Relevancy 45.15%

My Matsu****a uj-846s doesn't seem to want to burn any cd or DVD at all.

I think that it may have started when I updated the firmware. playing DVDs are fine but playing some cds previously burnt on the same drive seems to be a problem as it doesn't recognise the data written on it.
Other external CD drives can read it when connected to the same laptop.

Has anyone had the same issue and more importantly can anyone help solve this?

A:DVD multi drive of mu Qosmio G doesn't burn anything

Can you please tell us what was the reason for firmware update?

Which notebook model do you have?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?57934-DVD-multi-drive-of-mu-Qosmio-G-doesn-t-burn-anything
Relevancy 45.15%

I have a table that lists every MLS system,the state and coverage area. There are multiple entries for each county

I am trying to convert this to a table that has one entry per county and includes all the MLS that are active in that county.

I have attached a sample set of data to display the current and desired table structure.

Is there a way to do this in excel via a formula/s?

I have attempted multiple combinations of index and match but I can't seem to figure it out. I need to match on the state and then look to see if the county is in the range of County 1 to County 3. If it does exist I need to display the name of the MLS system.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Relevancy 44.72%

I recently fixed my DVD drive on my laptop using a DVD Multi a few Recorder drive dying...and like issues sounds other it's method found on this site upper and lower registries I ve then had a few issues with it The main one is that the DVD drive sounds as if it s falling to pieces and DVD Multi Recorder drive sounds like it's dying...and a few other issues is almost unable to play DVDs only tried movies My stepdad says that he s been having the same problems and when I tried DVD Multi Recorder drive sounds like it's dying...and a few other issues to play a DVD on his laptop in Windows Media Player the following error came up - quot Windows Media Player cannot play DVD video You might need to adjust your Windows display settings Open display settings in Control Panel and then try lowering your screen resolution and color quality settings quot When I first attempted to play a DVD on my laptop after I fixed the drive I got the exact same error I then installed VLC DVD Multi Recorder drive sounds like it's dying...and a few other issues Media Player and attempted to run it using that it was unable to play can t remember error message nd attempt I managed to get to the title menu video was unable to play rd attempt next day with a different DVD video played fine which odd jumping then spontaneously stopped playing WMP still didn t work According to my stepdad s workmate he says that it s just a software problem and that he made a disc that ll fix it My laptop specs should be in my signature shortly after writing this but my stepdad s laptop s are - OS Windows Vista Home Basic Memory MB ooh careful there CPU GHz GHz HDD GB capacity Not much that I can put down as I refuse to use Vista Other issues with my laptop s drive are - In My Computer it shows different drives E as DVD drive D as DVD-RW drive Had to reboot once to install software that was on disc Music CDs work fine which is quite confusing Thanks in advance for any assistance EDIT Okay so signatures don t show up on this forum Here are my laptop specs - OS Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Memory MB CPU Intel Celeron M Processor GHz Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon MB DirectX version Sound Card Drivers SoundMAX Digital Audio BIOS PhoenixBIOS Release nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-multi-recorder-drive-sounds-like-its-dying-and-a-few-other-issues.759675/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello,

after installing Win XP SP3 in the last windows update, the Toshiba tools as well as other CD/DVD-burning software don't recognize the DVD-ram drive as such, only as a CD-rom-drive.
Thus, software like recordIt doesn't work.

I have already removed the drive from the hardware list and have reinstalled it.
The driver used is "Mat****a DVD-RAM UJ-841S"
That is correct, so far. But it doesn't burning CDs/DVDs.

Has anyone noticed this problem as well?

Thanks.
Bjoern

A:Satellite M100 - DVD-Multi-Drive not recognized as CD/DVD recorder (!)

Hi

I think it?s a lower upper filter issue and I think you could solve this following this step by step instruction.

First of all remove the ODD (CD/DVD) drive from the list in device manager.
Then access the registry and remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Finally you should reboot the unit.

After that windows will recognize the ODD again

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?49593-Satellite-M100-DVD-Multi-Drive-not-recognized-as-CD-DVD-recorder-(!)
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi,
Can someone help me and tell me where can i buy DVD Super Multi drive (Double Layer)
DVD model: UJ-846-C flop in 12.7mm
Qosmio g20-126

Thank you
:)

A:Qosmio G20-126 where can i buy DVD Super Multi drive (Double Layer) ?

Hi

Did you try to search for some online dealers who provide such part?
Additionally you could contact an Toshiba authorized service provider in your country to order such part.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?71409-Qosmio-G20-126-where-can-i-buy-DVD-Super-Multi-drive-(Double-Layer)
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a new NB510-10D with 1Gb factory-fitted memory and purchased the Toshiba recommended external multi drive (PA3834E-1DV2) But I can't get it to run on my machine even when connected to 2 USB ports and on AC power.

The drive works fine when plugged into my desktop computer, what do I need to do or add to get it to run on my netbook?

A:NB510-10D: Cannot get to run external multi drive PA3834E-1DV2

Hi

There are no special requirements needed.
The drive is just an USB 2.0 plug and play device so you don?t need any drivers or software to get it running.
As you said, the drive works in connection with desktop PC so it seems the ODD is OK.

In your case I recommend checking the drive in all USB ports.
Set also the BIOS to default to ensure that right BIOS settings would be used.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?69537-NB510-10D-Cannot-get-to-run-external-multi-drive-PA3834E-1DV2
Relevancy 44.72%

I want to reformat an existing external HD for backup. Currently it has 3 partitions:
1 x Primary NTFS; 1 x Free Space; 1 x Logical NTFS.
Can someone please advise how to reformat this into a single NTFS partition? I'm running Win7.

A:How do I Reformat Multi Partition External Hard Drive

If there's no data on the drive that needs to be saved, just go into Disk Management and remove the partitions, until you have a blank, unallocated drive. Then create a new, solid partition for the entire drive.

I don't mess with extended and logical partitions, but you may have to delete the logical first, then the primary.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/234952-how-do-i-reformat-multi-partition-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a satellite m60-164 laptop, i put windows 7 on it and windows doesn't recognize it as a multi drive only a dvd-rw.
can anyone help me find a drives that works on windows7?

PLEASE

A:Satellite M60-164 need Win 7 driver for DVD Super Multi TS-632B Drive

There is no driver for optical drives. Windows supports them internally.

Where does it say DVD-RW in Windows? It may be just the drive description.

If you use Nero or another burning program to burn a DVD+R disc, the drive and disc should be detected properly.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?63079-Satellite-M60-164-need-Win-7-driver-for-DVD-Super-Multi-TS-632B-Drive
Relevancy 44.72%

FIX with SavePart tried other partition utilities and editing MountedDevices to no avail Hope this helps someone else with Wrong Drive Letter Problems Installed WIN RC and all was well with XP Dual Boot After some experimenting BSD LINUX etc WIN would not boot so popped in the DVD and let WIN repair the boot WIN now booted but when booting XP on E it was now assigned the wrong Drive letter D and would boot to just before the Logon Prompt and hang same in safe mode Multi-Boot Letters Drive XP,Vista, W7 *FIX* Wrong in After much research and trial including editing the HKLM SYSTEM MountedDevices hive of *FIX* Wrong Drive Letters in Multi-Boot XP,Vista, W7 the XP install from within WIN to change the drive letter this was the fix This particular XP boots from Partition Drive E in Windows directory yeah i know been this way for years FIX FREE downloaded SavePart quot AKA Partition Saving quot Partition Saving Boot from a FreeDOS Floppy or USB stick and run SavePart exe within SavePart navigate with TAB key Selected items turn BLACK Choose Update Windows XP Vista Registry then Choose element where boot configuration are stored Disk number in this case then Choose element where boot configuration DATA are stored Partition where the XP or Vista is located then Select the Directory where the XP or Vista is located Windows on D Drive in this case You then have access ability to the change Drive Letters for that particular Windows Installation In this case Drive D which needed to be E and Drive E which needed to be D

A:*FIX* Wrong Drive Letters in Multi-Boot XP,Vista, W7

Quote: Originally Posted by 8253timer

FIX (with SavePart, tried other partition utilities and editing MountedDevices to no avail)

Hope this helps someone else with Wrong Drive Letter Problems

Installed WIN7 RC and all was well with XP Dual Boot.

After some experimenting(BSD,LINUX,etc), WIN7 would not boot, so popped in the DVD and let WIN7 repair the boot.

WIN7 now booted, but when booting XP on E: , it was now assigned the wrong Drive letter D: and would boot to just before the Logon Prompt and hang(same in safe mode.)

After much research and trial (including editing the HKLM/SYSTEM/MountedDevices hive of the XP install from within WIN7 to change the drive letter) this was the fix.

This particular XP boots from Partition/Drive E: in Windows.0 directory (yeah, i know, been this way for years)

FIX: (FREE!)
downloaded SavePart "AKA Partition Saving " Partition Saving

Boot from a FreeDOS Floppy or USB stick and run SavePart.exe

within SavePart Choose: (navigate with TAB key, Selected items turn BLACK)

Update Windows 2000/XP/Vista Registry
then
Choose element where boot configuration are stored (Disk number 0, in this case)
then
Choose element where boot configuration DATA are stored (Partition) where the XP(2000 or Vista) is located
then
Select the Directory where the XP (2000 or Vista) is located (Windows.0, in this case)

You then have access/ability to the change Drive Letters for that particular Windows Installation:

In this case:
Drive D (which needed to be E) and Drive E(which needed to be D)

Hi and welcome to sevenforums. really thorough first post. It probably would be seen more if it was in setup and installations. if you want some one can move it for you

Again welcome

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/14716-fix-wrong-drive-letters-multi-boot-xp-vista-w7.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I have WIN 7, but the Windows Explorer does not regonize my external dvd-drives (LG Portable Super Multi Drive). the drives are working on a different computer fine, so it can not be broke. What do I do wrong? Or what can I do to get it run?

Thank you for help!!

A:Problems with external DVD-Player (LG Portable Super Multi Drive)

Hi,

Check in Device Manager and update the DVD driver.

1)   
Click the Start Button, type Device Manager in the search bar and press Enter. Click Continue if necessary.
2)   
Expand the "DVD/CD-ROM drives" category.
3)   
Right click "LG Portable Super Multi Drive" we are using and click Update Driver Software…
4)   
Select the “Search automatically for updated driver software” option.
5)   
Let the system scan for the updated driver online.

Check the following registry and delete related upperfilter and lowerfilter.

1)   
Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.
2)   
Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3)   
Right click the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file
is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4)   
Highlight this key ({4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click
on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.
5)   
Restart the computer.

Change the DVD-drive letter. To change the drive letters of the DVD-ROM devices, we need to manually adjust them. Please refer to the following steps to do so:

Please Note: The steps assume
the DVD-ROM drive letter is currently set to D:

1)   
Click the Start Button, type diskmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.
2)   
Right click the DVD-ROM D: drive and click "Change Drive Letter and Paths".
3)   
Click "Change" and select another drive letter, such as "H:". Click "OK".
4)   
Click "Yes".

Best Regards
Dale

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3f59a8f6-157c-4b4a-b9e0-9dd83f5e3f01/problems-with-external-dvdplayer-lg-portable-super-multi-drive?forum=w7itprohardware
Relevancy 44.29%

Recently I reinstalled the OS on my computer. It was shipped with Windows XP HE SP2, but I formatted and put Win98 onto the system. Needless to say, it froze up at the Windows splash screen. So, I uninstalled it and put XP back on. My question here is, is there any possible way to put Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows XP all on one hard drive, and it work? I know how to partition the hard drive accordingly for the deed, it's getting the computer to actually run 95, 98, and 3.1. I'm cheating fate here, since I know 3.1 probably won't run on my 32-bit structure system, but it's worth a try.

My system is a Dell Dimension 4700 with 3.0 gHz CPU, 256 mb of RAM, and an nVidia 64 mb video card. Any help is greatly appreciated.

A:Multi Partition Boot/Multi OS install

The XP boot loader will let you boot XP and one DOS-based Windows version (Win 9x or Win3.1). However, you can't run multiple versions of Win9x and Win3.1 on the same system -- unless there is potentially some 3rd-party boot loader that can do this, but I can't recommend one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/multi-partition-boot-multi-os-install.433132/
Relevancy 44.29%

I ve recently purchased a second GB disk for my rig already containing a GB disk I ve read quite a bit about partitioning strategies and I ve still got a few questions that I couldn t seem to find subjective answers for First off I m looking at have a multi boot partitioning hard Multi multi o/s disks, system with at least OS primary XP install secondary XP install with only my CAD programs vista install then I m also looking Linux Ubuntu one of my concerns in if I put a small partition at Multi hard disks, multi o/s partitioning the beginning of the first disk then my th partition for OS ends up being a extended logical partition no I read somewhere that Multi hard disks, multi o/s partitioning O S can only start from Primary partition But I also read at http partition radified com that he s put O S on Extended logical drives here s how I propose to setup my disks DISK - OGB TOTAL ACUTAL GB P - GB - FAT - for DOS based utilities programs P - GB - NTFS - Primary XP w most programs P - GB - NTFS - Secondary XP w only CAD programs P - GB - NTFS - Vista E - GB - FAT - Linux Ubuntu E - GB - FAT - Linux swap E - GB - NTFS - MULTI CD DVD PROGRAMS E - GB - NTFS - RESERVE E - GB - BACK-UP IMAGES DISK - GB TOTAL ACTUAL GB P - GB - NTFS - PAGEFILE P - GB - NTFS - BACK-UP O S P - GB - FAT - RESERVE E - GB - NTFS - DATAT MY DOCUMENTS FOLDER E - GB - NTFS BACK-UP IMAGES let me know what you guys think nbsp

A:Multi hard disks, multi o/s partitioning

The Windows OS has issues starting from anything other than the C:\ drive, so you may have to load the OS in separate directories on that partition and utilize a boot menu to select which configuration you desire at boot.

As for Linux, I am not aware of any such limitations, but YMMV. Good Luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/multi-hard-disks-multi-o-s-partitioning.763326/
Relevancy 44.29%

OK. My computer multi-boots to Windows 7 & 8 right now. 8 is on an SSD.

I am thinking about adding another HDD, moving 8 to the new HDD, and installing Windows 10 [Technical Preview] onto the SSD. If I disconnect the drives with 7 & 8 during the install, then add them to the boot menu after, can I make the computer boot to the HDD with 8, have that boot menu default to 8, with 7 & 10 as options, and if I make the computer boot off the SSD default to 10 with 7 & 8 as options?

A:Multi-Boot & Multi-Harddrive booting

Clone or image Windows 8 to a partition you create on the HD, boot into it or Windows 7 to add the other OS to a Dual Boot menu using EasyBCD (click Download - no Name or Email required).

Unplug the 7/8 hard drive, plug in the SSD to Clean Install Windows 10 Technical Preview.

After install plug back in the hard drive, boot it when needed using the one-time BIOS boot menu key, leaving the SSD as drive set first to boot in BIOS setup.

If this is not to your liking, then boot into the hard drive OS from which you set up the Dual Boot with EasyBCD, add Windows 10 to the Dual Boot menu using type Windows 8.1. You'll now have a Multi-Boot menu for all OS's, but the drives will still remain independently bootable, whereas if you'd installed TP to SSD with the hard drive plugged in, it will configure a Dual Boot which makes the SSD's boot entirely dependent upon the HD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/355370-multi-boot-multi-harddrive-booting.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I have a 9800 GX2 card and always want to run two monitors. In the Nvidia Control Panel set-up under 3D settings and sub heading "Set Multi-GPU Config" I have the recommended option of Multi-GPU Mode, but if I select that, the second monitor stays blank. I assume because my card has two GPU's internally SLI connected and you (to date) can't run two monitors when SLI invoked?

Assuming that is correct

1. Is Nvidia working to overcome this major hurdle of SLI and 2 Monitors?
2. If I use Triple Head to Go, will this allow me to select Multi-GPU and still have two monitors and will I have better performance?

Kotuku

A:Multi GPU Mode Versus Multi Display

When you use SLI, the secondary GPU shuts the output off, so you can't connect a monitor to the second GPU. It's always been like this with Nvidia SLI. I'm quite sure if you use an external multi-monitor device, you could set multiple monitors up while still haveing SLI enabled.

http://www.vistax64.com/graphic-cards/173980-multi-gpu-mode-versus-multi-display.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi everyone Putting together my new system core i Gigabyte EX -UD P MSI R Patriot DDR x GB PC - Its my first home build fortunately after putting everything together it boots up appropriately on first try into Windows Vista Ultimate bit My hard drives are WD FALS x RAID storage and WD AAKS x non-RAID Main drive My computer sees the main drive assigned automatically as standard problem RAID1 setup and - Unallocated Combo Drive Drive C and the storage drive in the Disk Manager however only the main drive C where Vista is installed is quot allocated quot The RAID storage drives are recognized and listed but are quot unallocated quot What do I need to do next to make this setup useable The only thing I can see in Disk management is to quot make a new simple drive quot but then the warning says this is only for a SINGLE drive Is this the option I want to make things work even though it's logical drive made of physical drives Is there a hidden format button do I need to format Combo RAID1 and standard Drive setup problem - Unallocated Drive the discs to get them allocated I never get an option to quot format quot I will attach pictures of my screen Each picture shows which part of the disk management was right clicked see mouse pointer and I get different kinds of submenus Neither of them offer the opportunity to format Any thoughts Thank you kindly to the Gurus of windows

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/234160-combo-raid1-standard-drive-setup-problem-unallocated-drive.html
Relevancy 43.86%

from error post: drive "couldn't during open multi(0)disk(0)... the bios product name compaq pc processor type amd-k - processor speed MHz memory mb system rom date system rom famly s i swapped in a error during post: "couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)... different motherboard from an hp pavilion c and i can get my pc to boot with video now at least i got that far but now i can't install windows because the bios on this older error during post: "couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)... motherboard won't even recognize the cdrom tried various error during post: "couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)... cdrom drives and all i keep getting is this error couldn't open drive multi disk rdisk partition NTLDR couldn't open drive multi disk rdisk partition in the bios under quot boot order quot all that appears is floppy drive a hard drive c i'm wondering if i should try to update the bios i've looked through the very basic bios menu and i can't find a version number or anything but i can tell by the simple menus that it's pretty old but i'm not sure where i would find a more recent bios and how to update it burn an iso to a cd but if i can't get the pc to recognize the cdrom then how do i update the bios please help i'm desperate

A:error during post: "couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)...

First, just swapping new motherboards cause this type of problem because your WinXP install is for the old motherboard. Just too much of a hardware change.

You MUST do a Repair Reinstall WinXP... (voice of experience)
Do this:Boot to your WinXP Setup CD
At the 1st window with Repair listed in the bottom Statusbar, select to install (skip this Repair)
Setup should see you have Windows already installed and you'll get a window with a 2nd Repair listed in the bottom Statusbar, use this to start a Recovery Reinstall.
A Recovery, aka Repair, Reinstall will reinstall all the original system files but leave your present configuration and applications as is, including installing updated drivers for a new motherboard.

There MAY be other drivers required for your new motherboard, but these can be installed from the motherboard's CD later (BEFORE Win Updates).

Note, you will have to redo ALL Win Updates. Highly suggest you only install 3 to 5 at a time:De-Select ALL
Select the first 3 to 5 updates
Download and install
IF all install correctly, REBOOT asked to or not
Repeat until all updates are installed
You can make this run of Win Updates shorter IF you install SP3 first.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/error-during-post-couldnt-open-drive-multi-0-disk-0-a-351591.html
Relevancy 43.86%

i tried to reformat my computer and i get this very annoying error.

Couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)
NTLDR: Couldn't open drive multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)

i want to reformat using xp home. yes its legal. i actually set up windows xp but after it reboots the first time then i get this error. i tried partitioning it as a FAT file system and an NTFS. still same problem. i have the xp home cd and a boot up disk.

PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!! thx in advance

Relevancy 43.86%

Hi everyone I have a multi-partitioned hard drive Partitions in total C OS D Programs E docs F docs After years Windows began having shut down problems so I decided to reinstall the OS Booted from the Windows DVD and picked the first partition and formatted it and then installed the OS instead of just installing the OS over the old OS I did this because in my mind I figured if I didn't format the C drive I would have left over files on the C Drive Disk now 7 Dynamic) (Basic Windows Reinstalled Multi-Partition drive Not sure if that is true or not All other partitions were fine mind you Anyways the install went fine I then went and booted off the Acronis Media Rescue CD to make a full backup of the install Acronis would not see the disc because it was now dynamic This is where I noticed that Windows had converted the disc from basic to dynamic Now I am trying to figure out why would Windows convert the disk to dynamic just Reinstalled Windows 7 Multi-Partition Drive (Basic Disk now Dynamic) because I deleted the first partition

A:Reinstalled Windows 7 Multi-Partition Drive (Basic Disk now Dynamic)

When windows converts 3 primarys to 4, it turns the disk dynamic. Don`t know how it happened in your case, as you didn`t add any more. Strange Are you on this pc ? can you post a shot of disk management ?

Convert a Dynamic Disk to a Basic Disk

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/275804-reinstalled-windows-7-multi-partition-drive-basic-disk-now-dynamic.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I have a similar problem to a question asked in 2011- mine is on an Acer Veriton without optical drive. So I followed the advice there and changed the SATA BIOS from AHCI to Native IDE. The result of that was that I never go as far as the select partition screen - just the BSOD!I reset the BIOS and got the same result. So now I can't get anything to work on installing XP - yuck!The BSOD gave advice to use CHKDSK /f but as I don't have anything yet installed, I have no way of doing it. Now I have an unusable PC, thanks to WinToFlash.Tony

A:Fail to install from flash drive; setup says drive corrupted

Can't comment on that old post unless you give a link - no idea how you found it. Maybe it (or your hardware) was not similar enough."I reset the BIOS"Do you mean you put the settings back to the way you found them or did you do a BIOS reset?Please provide the model number of your computer.Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanksmessage edited by Derek

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/fail-to-install-from-flash-drive-setup-says-drive-corrupted/203386.html
Relevancy 43.86%

SATA drive detected as an atapi drive by windows xp setup I m an drive xp atapi drive setup. SATA as by detected windows wanting to install windows xp for backwards compatible with order programs st primary partition is W size is GB NTFS maximum it will shrink down nd primary partition is setup as GB FAT can expanded space SATA drive detected as an atapi drive by windows xp setup. later after installing SP After installing XP I will use the windows system boot disk and do the following from the command prompt Bootrec fixmbr Bootrec fixboot Bootrec rebuildbcd Is it ok to install windows xp since it sees the drive as an atapi and don't need to worry about the sata driver Is the boot fix correct Thank You I also added a logical partition which has been removed Out of curiosity I put a windows setup cd It didn't see the Fat nd partition but it did see the logical fat partition as a normal dos primary partition It makes me wonder on SATA drives if windows se can be installed onto logical partition There SATA drive detected as an atapi drive by windows xp setup. was a size limitation it only saw around GB

A:SATA drive detected as an atapi drive by windows xp setup.

Quote:
2nd primary partition is setup as 99.97 GB FAT32

Why FAT32?

Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

SATA Drivers - Load in Windows XP Setup on Dual Boot
SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD

Use EasyBCD 2.0 in Win 7 & Win XP.
EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/321876-sata-drive-detected-atapi-drive-windows-xp-setup.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Greetings, I was anticipating this to be a headache, since it only worked in Win7 by throwing spaghetti at a wall.

Essentially, I have a dual monitor display. The right monitor is primary, the left is to be used by art programs, movies, games, and other more specialized work (as well as workspace in a large project and running code next to blah blah).

So, my problem is getting the movies and 3d apps (especially games) to render on the left monitor, but keep all of the main functions on the right one, as it is now.

A side problem... I don't totally dislike the Start Screen; I think it can be useful putting it up on that left monitor when not in use as a live feed reader when not running a program there, while leaving the right monitor "classic". Any way that is possible?

Thanks in advance.

http://www.eightforums.com/graphic-cards/10621-multi-display-multi-purpose.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I would like to purchase a full version of Windows 7 Home Premium (not an upgrade) and install it on two different machines. Is this possible or do I need to buy 2 full copies of Windows 7? Can I just buy the one copy and get like a multi-license? Amazon sells Windows 7 Family Pacs for but it's an upgrade version. I couldn't find any info on Microsoft's web site regarding multiple licensing at all. Thanks in advance.

A:Multi-Machine, Multi-License?

Bug67, I also have not found any multi copies of windows 7 full versions for sale. Outside of buying OEM copies which are a lot cheaper than the full box versions.
Beware of anyone telling you that the copies they sell are for multi installs which could be a technet or msdn copies which are not for resale.

Rich

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/199717-multi-machine-multi-license.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Is it necessary to connect a slave or secondary drive while creating an image of hard disk?

A:Multi software on multi computers

Hmm, that actually depends on how are you gonna image the hard drive. If you are using an external hard drive to store the image of your internal one, you don't have to.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/multi-software-on-multi-computers-550652.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi,

I have a series of applications that depend on an INI file being in the Windows directory.

Also, many diffeent users are allowed to log on and change the INI file.

But Windows 7 places changed INI files in USER directories for the logged-on users.

So my Apps never get to see the changes!

How do I get Windows 7 to place my INI file in Windows directory where I need it?

A:multi users, multi ini files

Uhhh...An application storing its configuration in the Windows directory is foolish, what are these broken applications you are using?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/144002-multi-users-multi-ini-files.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Hello everyone,

I just joined the forum, have a nice day for all of u

The question is, im gonna buy a new hdd actuall ssd and i do not want to format my pc or take a backup.So, i want to setup win 7 on the ssd. But i have already C and D partitions. I dont know whats the next partition name when i setup the new ssd. Lets call it X. i want to setup win 7 on X drive without formatting my pc or changing other drives names (C and D wont change). People says its possible and i saw that one time but there is no tutorial or video for that. At least i didnt see.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/384849-setup-os-different-drive.html
Relevancy 40.42%

I'm trying to install XP pro on a 30 gig IBM Deskstar, but XP setup only sees 2 gig. I've tried formatting it in DOS, or using fdisk, but it still doesn't work. Any idea how I can get XP to see the whole drive?

Relevancy 40.42%

Ok, I have 2 dvd burners. What setup types are their I mean by connection. Also if there are a few types which are the best. Also which are the best rounded ribbon cables around?

Relevancy 39.99%

Hopefully my explanation of this problem Win8.1 Win8.1 Multi & in Data seen not - Boot-Win7 Drive is Multi Boot-Win7 & Win8.1 - Data Drive not seen in Win8.1 not too confusing this my first post My system is a multi-boot for Win Win amp XP I boot into Win Multi Boot-Win7 & Win8.1 - Data Drive not seen in Win8.1 most of the time The multi-boot is controlled via EasyBCD in Win My data drive is a separate disk - F I have been running this configuration for over a year without any major problems The system is an older Dell-XPS Core Quad CPU Q A GHz with Gb memory System drive - Tb with four partitions Data drive - Tb one partition Recently I booted into Win after a few weeks of using only Win The data drive F was not available It does not show up in Disk Management and under Device Manager it shows as not connected to the system when the Unavailable Devices are displayed Booting back to Win the data drive is available no problems with it There are not any errors in the event system logs in Win or Win related to the data drive F One possible cause might be that the motherboard battery was replaced about a week ago I had to go in the BIOS and make changes for problems encountered when Win was booted Unfortunately I didn't boot Win to see if it had any problems I've looked at the BIOS but don't see anything that might cause this problem The config for the EasyBCD is below for boot into Win There are a total of entries listed in the bootloader Default Microsoft Windows Timeout seconds Boot Drive C Entry Name Windows BCD ID a c -c - e - b- c a Drive D Bootloader Path WINDOWS system winload exe Entry Name Earlier Version of Windows BCD ID ntldr Drive C Bootloader Path ntldr Entry Name Microsoft Windows BCD ID current Drive C Bootloader Path Windows system winload exe Entry Name Microsoft Windows XP BCD ID d e - f- e - b c- e ce d b Drive C Bootloader Path NST ntldr Thanks in advance for your assistance

A:Multi Boot-Win7 & Win8.1 - Data Drive not seen in Win8.1

First off, why so many entries in BCD ?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/56158-multi-boot-win7-win8-1-data-drive-not-seen-win8-1-a.html
Relevancy 39.56%

quot Setup Drive failed There was an Int h error reading Drive cyl head sect count quot What the heck is this I am installing a WD gig drive on a Ami bios board with a Setup 1 failed Drive Intel Setup Drive 1 failed cpu Bios auto detected after the third attempt system stalled seconds into the floppy seek Tried to use WD s Data LifeGuard Tools program the drive tests quot perfect quot installed EZ-Bios it asks for system disk put in a Win disk starts to read and then that darn message appears The bios check tells me that the system bios is not controlling the drive correctly and Setup Drive 1 failed another check revealed that the Int h was put in sec the drive only has BUT I can boot the system and EZ bios takes over gives me the A or C selection I insert a system disk and the darn thing stalls I press quot C quot and i get quot No PT insert system disk quot Drat darn Shucks Oh dear HELP ME thanx in advance nbsp

A:Setup Drive 1 failed

Never used ez bios but I found this, hope it helps

EZ-BIOS no longer loads after booting my system directly from a
non-system floppy disk. What can I do?

User turns on the machine with a diskette in the floppy drive that
does not contain bootable system files. The message "NON SYSTEM
DISK" or "DISK ERROR" is displayed on the screen. Noticing the error,
the user removes the floppy and re-boots the system. Now EZ-BIOS
will not load and the computer hangs. All cases of this error have
been linked to a virus on the floppy disk which infected the hard drive
and overwrote EZ-BIOS. The following procedure will restore EZ-BIOS
to the drive:

NOTE: This process requires EZ-Drive 8.01W or later.

1.Boot directly from a bootable floppy diskette.
2.Insert the EZ-Drive diskette.
3.Type ez /mbr and press Enter.
4.Remove the EZ-Drive floppy disk and reboot the computer.
EZ-BIOS should not load normally.
5.Run virus scan software on your hard drive and floppy disks.

http://www.westerndigital.com/service/FAQ/ezdrive.html#hang

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setup-drive-1-failed.42795/
Relevancy 39.56%

Trying to re-install xp pro - everything works fine until it tries to boot from the cd, when I get the "windows xp professional setup setup cannot find a cd-rom drive" message. I tested the cd drive, and it works fine. HELP!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon processor, x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 2030 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M, 512 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 145692 MB, Free - 22395 MB; H: Total - 953835 MB, Free - 405845 MB; X: Total - 145692 MB, Free - 22395 MB;
Motherboard: LENOVO, 6459A34
Antivirus: ESET Smart Security 5.0, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

A:Setup cannot find a cd-rom drive...

hiya,have you set the BIOS to boot from th CD/DVD Rom drive?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setup-cannot-find-a-cd-rom-drive.1075018/