Windows Support Forum

problem with the local network having the same domain name as the public network

Q: problem with the local network having the same domain name as the public network

HI,

I have installed server 2003 on a small network and created a domain that is the same as the public domain name (ie the companies website).

This is now causing a problem because when i type in the public address (for example www.company.com) it is trying to resolve it locally - because the local domain name is also company.com.

Does anyone know if there is a way to get round this problem?

Many thanks in advance

Dave

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: problem with the local network having the same domain name as the public network

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: problem with the local network having the same domain name as the public network

add 'local.' to the internal domain or change it altogether.

Your public domain should not have any connection into your private infrastructure,
but you may have references from private->public; not very common.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-the-local-network-having-the-same-domain-name-as-the-public-network.69968/
Relevancy 101.91%

PCs are Win Ultimate All are joined to the Domain Domain Controller DNS DHCP Server on same instance is Server standard The network topology is like this Router as Internet Gateway gt Switch identifying Cards will only or intermittently, Inside the Domain-Joined no Network when network Connections will Network longer, Network join Domain PC from gt Wired to Server and PC's SIP phones and Wireless Access Point Domain-Joined PC Network Cards will no longer, or will only intermittently, join the Domain Network when identifying Network Connections from Inside network all on same subnet DNS and DHCP have been offloaded Domain-Joined PC Network Cards will no longer, or will only intermittently, join the Domain Network when identifying Network Connections from Inside network to Server Roles and switched off on the router All of the PCs have network cards that have joined the domain network at least some of the time since I set them up Some of them have always picked up the domain network and continue to this day Some of them intermittently pick up the domain network and other times join whatever other unmanaged network is available Some of them have stopped picking up the domain network altogether and will no matter how many times their NICs are restarted always join a non-domain unmanaged network When the NICs are not joining the domain they are unable to ping hostnames of any devices on the network but nslookup of the hostnames usually works The DC DNS DHCP server's IP can be pinged without issue ipv or ipv I am recording DNS Client Errors ID on all of the PCs during the intervals when their NICs are identifying which network to join -On the PCs that are catching the domain network I am only getting a single error about the root domain eg the domain is ad domain com and I am only getting errors about how the configured DNS servers cannot resolve domain com nothing with fully qualified domain names eg server ad domain com -On the PCs that are not catching the domain network I get a few different instances of the same error substituted quot domain quot for my root domain name Name resolution for the name WPAD ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Name resolution for the name lt DC-DNS-DHCPSERVERNAME gt ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Name resolution for the name LDAP TCP DC MSDCS ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Name resolution for the name ISATAP ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Based on what I've read about NLA service choosing the domain to log into I believe this rd error is the big one although I guess the big error is that my configured DNS servers are not responding except to NSLookups From what I understand the Network Location Awareness Service Provider will roughly do the following look into the registry to see if there is an entry for a domain network to join and if there is it will attempt to contact the domain controller of the same domain name If it is successful with both parts it will join the domain network named quot ad domain com quot If not it will fall back to one of the other options ie home private public quot whatever its called network quot I have tried many of the fixes presented for similar issues but I haven't found anything that's worked A few things I have tried while cycling my NICs on and off to test -turned off the firewall nbsp -poked holes in the firewall for TCP UDP port -poked holes in the firewall for TCP UDP port -ipconfig flushdns ipconfig registerdns -netsh int ip reset -netsh reset Winsock catalog and restarted -route f and restarted -turned off DHCP Client Service -restarted DHCP client Service -turned off IPV on NICs -hard-coded DNS servers IPV and -hard-coded static IPs and DNS Servers only IPV -sfc scannow to scan for integrity violations All of these and also some combinations of these and more that I can't remember One more p... Read more

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/303bcde4-6a0b-4bc4-baff-929f0b6b4261/domainjoined-pc-network-cards-will-no-longer-or-will-only-intermittently-join-the-domain-network?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 95.46%

Hi,

I have a few domain client computers running Windows 7 Pro SP1 (both x86 and x64) which on daily basis have problem with network profile. For some reason network profile changes from domain to public, blocking myriad of ports and making computer isolated
from the rest of network for many services. MS has some hotfix (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2524478) and I found x86 version
also. Today one client had problems, I solve it temporarily via PS remoting and afterwards I tried to install .msu but with no luck - there was an error saying that update package was not applicable. What might be the cause of this error? Also is there any
other better solution for this network problem since it has become very annoying. Fortunately PowerShell remoting is very capable of doing virtually anything but in this case problem happens all over again.

Thanks in advance!

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5df26a93-54f4-4b45-ae55-676b2d54e25a/network-profile-changes-from-domain-to-public?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 94.6%

Most of my clients get their internet connection from the same central hub server at corporate HQ They are located in various buildings across the state We have been having a strange issue where at seemingly random times they get booted off of our domain Let's just say its called aaa com Now or domain. of public 1,2,3,4, private Computers 5 have instead Network this usually occurs at times where they turn on the computer in the morning they lock the computer or even after a period of inactivity at random intervals that make no sense We think that it may have something to do with degrading lines but even new lines with switches causes the routing to go to a different computer This all started when we noticed that we were losing our default gateway on random computers which is X Always The x variable ranges from - based on whatever location you are at The weird thing is it's not a total loss of network connection In some cases they can still access email surf the web and we can even remotely connect to Computers have public Network 1,2,3,4, or 5 instead of private domain. them They don't even truly get booted off the network Their computer is still registered on aaa com The network connection is just changed public network though under computer and properties you still see computername aaa com My thinking is that there is a Computers have public Network 1,2,3,4, or 5 instead of private domain. yet unidentified rouge device lingering somewhere on the network but with a total of locations It will difficult to track down and sometimes there are different IPs that take the network over otherwise I wouldn't be getting different public networks popping up all over Could a rouge device from one location affect all the others Would it have to be in corporate HQ Or is this something else entirely on the fault of the ISP It's a really annoying problem that I would love some help on

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/379553-computers-have-public-network-1-2-3-4-5-instead-private-domain.html
Relevancy 92.88%

Hi guys I m trying to fix this laptop for a friend of my dad As the title of the thread says when I try to connect to any wireless network Network and Sharing Center shows the network to be Public and refuses to connect displaying Only Access: Local Solved: (Please - Public help!) Network quot Access Local Only quot Currently my network is set up as ATT Solved: Public Network - Access: Local Only (Please help!) DSl -- gt modem -- gt router which is then connected to my wired connection and broadcasts wirelessly AN IMPORTANT POINT I have another computer running Windows connected wirelessly and another running Solved: Public Network - Access: Local Only (Please help!) Windows connected via wired connection The Vista laptop connects to the internet perfectly when an ethernet cable is used but a wireless connection results in the aforementioned error I ve browsed through what seems like thousands of pages of people with the same problem but no one really seems to know what the cause is Here s all the stuff I ve tried so far TCP IP refresh repair pinging sites timeout uninstalling Norton uninstalling Mcafee turns out they had them both installed disabling UAC trying to connect to router homepage while wireless failed DHCP disabling installing SP SP updates Windows network diagnostic generic answers and no working solutions disabling firewall windows generic multiple system restores disabling IPv making sure IP Addess and DNS are assigned automatically connecting to an unsecured network in the hopes that it might have just been my network booting Linux and wirelessly connecting to the router working updated all device drivers Atheros AR Don t know what else to do I m currently writing this from the problematic computer which is directly connected to the router via ethernet cable and its working fine I can usually figure this stuff out pretty easily but I m totally stumped My suggestion to my dad s friend was quot Downgrade to XP upgrade to quot but he doesn t want to spend money on upgrading a year-old laptop and can t afford to buy a new one If you need any screen caps or ping results or anything please let me know I ll get them ASAP Oh yeah running VISTA HOME PREMIUM SERVICE PACK bit on a Compaq C Notebook PC Thanks again nbsp

A:Solved: Public Network - Access: Local Only (Please help!)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-public-network-access-local-only-please-help.983081/
Relevancy 92.45%

I have a group of Windows PCs on a VLAN that get all correct DHCP addressing including IP Gateway Subnet DNS Suffix ETC but they do not get a domain connection they get a public connection This is only happening reverting finding public Connection to unidentified network domain, not to Connection not finding domain, reverting to public unidentified network random PCs some connect while others will just not and get public everytime I have had others eventually connect for no apparent reason so i am trying to find the root cause They are Connection not finding domain, reverting to public unidentified network all DHCP clients and they only work for sure if I static the addresses with the same info except put them on the non DHCP VLAN Any ideas or areas to start troubleshooting I know the addressing information is right and the routing is correct because the phones works regardless and the printers worked static'd It just is an issue with a few random Windows Domain Clients on DHCP that keep getting public network unidentified Please help They have the correct DNS Suffix as well yet still do not find Domain Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/782a298d-e045-4b9b-9a14-af3362dff372/connection-not-finding-domain-reverting-to-public-unidentified-network?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 91.16%

Hello and thanks in advance for your assistance My mom's laptop will not connect to the any wireless network It connects to the network local only and public network on a secured network that she had to enter the password to get on to It has been problematic for the last months or so At first it was an intermittent loss of connection for a few minutes here and there or low connection quality We got her a WAP to get her closer to the signal and that didn't solve a thing We got her an amplified deal but no dice On the network we have a lot of machines that do overnight backups and she's normally only No Wireless Public "Local Only Vista SP2 Internet Network" Connectivity on her machine late at night and considered that their traffic was blocking her out so we set up a second wireless network just for internet but that didn't help either We replaced the router somewhere in there too I should note that we have an IT guy that does most of this for us but he just got out of brain surgery last week so he cannot help us now nor am I Vista SP2 Wireless "Local Only Public Network" No Internet Connectivity sure of every last thing he did previously to try and fix her stuff More recently I started seeing Vista SP2 Wireless "Local Only Public Network" No Internet Connectivity this Vista SP2 Wireless "Local Only Public Network" No Internet Connectivity Local Only business but it DID sometimes go away and give her internet access after a brief outage Last night it went to local only and never went back to normal Considering all of the equipment changes and stuff and the fact that I didn't want to be at her house all night banging my head on the wall I decided to take her laptop home with me and try it on my trusty network which knock on wood has been humming along with all sorts of old weird new things on it for ages SAME PROBLEM HERE Full disclosure - I really don't know anything about computers but I am over so there's that osmosis thing I still run XP on my machines because I need DOS for my day-to-day operations I'm still using FoxPro from the 's LOL And I really really really don't know crap about navigating in Vista Holy hell I could barely find the command prompt If no one here can help me her little Dell is destined for target practice The problem child Vista Home Premium SP Dell Intel Pentium Dual T ghz GB RAM -bit It uses all of the Cisco networking stuff EAP LEAP PEAP I thought of uninstalling this and trying to use the native DELL stuff or a rd party app but got scared and didn't want to without help Already done Naturally as a good little 'IdontKnowWhatTheHellIamDoing' tech-support daughter I rebooted after applying any fixes Ran Norton Removal Tool Updated Driver for Marvell Yukon E PCI-E Ethernet controller WLAN card driver was up to date Applied these MicrosoftFixIt's on the offending machine this is the DHCP flag thing disabling ipv default gateway this last one is the corrupted Winsock fix From Command first thing I tried was releasing the IP failed with 'disconnected media' tried to RENEW too but since I didn't really have an IP I assume that failed too Ran a DNS Flush then tried release renew again no dice I deleted route about ten times using several different commands In the ipv advanced settings I set a preffered DNS server to the address of the router both in the properties dialog for ipv settings and in the advanced TCP IP dialog You'll see this in the ipconfig stuff below I also tried setting the default gateway to the router address but changed it back I also simply un-checked the ipv under the connection status properties did nothing There are probably or other things I tried during the night that I no longer remember I read two threads about this issue on this forum last night and tried all the fixes listed in those posts but none seemed to work I now have a feeling that some of the things already done might have worked if they were done in a different order hence my new thread Alm... Read more

A:Vista SP2 Wireless "Local Only Public Network" No Internet Connectivity

Forgot that I also set the 'connection specific DNS Suffix" in the ipv4 advanced settings dialog at some point.  I did this based on comparing my IPCONFIG to hers.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/524319/vista-sp2-wireless-local-only-public-network-no-internet-connectivity/
Relevancy 87.72%

I have a domain network with about 25 XP workstations. Currently they are all local admin users. We want to try to stop them loading unapproved software and other junk. Can I remove the local admin rights and just make them a standard user? If they are set as a standard user will the Windows Updates still install without entering an admin password?? Also, what about Java and Adobe updates? What is the best way to handle this?

thanks

Relevancy 87.72%

I am usually the person to go to when someone has computer problems however this time I am stumped I am running on average thirteen computers on my network Recently we switched nine of those computers over to (unauthenticated) domain.local Solved: error network Windows I Solved: network error domain.local (unauthenticated) am unsure if it is just a Windows problem but every time someone docks their computer in the morning most of the employees here take their computers home they do not connect to the network properly an they get domain local unauthenticated with the yellow triangle warning Solved: network error domain.local (unauthenticated) sign This problem has not been specific to any computer just the ones with Windows and sometimes it happens sometimes it doesnt What happens is while trying to figure out what Solved: network error domain.local (unauthenticated) is wrong the error goes away and the computer connects to the network but only for a period of time sometimes most of the day and sometimes only ten or fifteen minutes I tried disabeling the TCP IP - no difference I tried removing the computer from the network and reconnecting it - no difference I called in outside IT people - no difference nbsp

A:Solved: network error domain.local (unauthenticated)

More details about your network, please. What version of Windows 7? You have a domain, or just a router? Connecting by ethernet or wireless? If by wireless, does ethernet work OK?

For a time when there is a successful connection please show for one of the machines ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

[Note that there is no space between the slash and ALL.]

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-network-error-domain-local-unauthenticated.952789/
Relevancy 80.41%

I'm having the most bizarre issue with like machines in my network all Windows Ent x Basically for some reason these machines lose the Domain network profile once a day randomly and it's always after the GP is applied automatically The thing is I got another couple of hundreds of machines under the same set of policies confirmed with GPResult and only are affected so a GP is not the issue of the affected machines is in another location with a different subnet router switch ISP different everything network-wise There are no local firewall rules there was however a rule blocking inbound Explorer exe connection for domain profiles only but this can't cause any harm the rule was deleted just in case though nbsp Running GP update manually or waiting for the automatic policy request does not changes to after GPO network applied None/Public/Identifying Network randomly is profile reproduce the problem The issue can happen at any time and under any circumstance whether Network profile changes to None/Public/Identifying network randomly after GPO is applied the user is logged on or not computer locked or not etc When the issue happens the network icon has a yellow exclamation sign and it is quot Identifying network quot until the next policy update On the Firewall service logs I can see how the Network profile changes back and forth a few times ending in Network Profile None The computers are different models Network profile changes to None/Public/Identifying network randomly after GPO is applied between HPs and Dells An IPConfig renew or a computer restart fixes the issue until next day when it happens again I have set a scheduled task to renew the Network profile changes to None/Public/Identifying network randomly after GPO is applied IP every morning and provided a script for the user to manually kick of the task in case it happens anyway But for the life of me I can't figure out what's causing this issue on out of hundreds of computers in different physical locations I enabled GP debugging in the affected computers to look in detail what may be overlapping or triggering what should not be triggered I lean towards a GP issue because the affected users are all part of the same group user policy maybe Not sure Any ideas will be greatly appreciated maybe I'm missing the obvious or you have experienced an issue like this and want to share your experience Thanks ahead nbsp Miguel Angel Mojica IT Administrator Server Administrator MTA CCNA CCDA

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6cfa7496-dfff-460f-815d-8947b0e37a6e/network-profile-changes-to-nonepublicidentifying-network-randomly-after-gpo-is-applied?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi:

When I click on the wireless icon in the taskbar it shows connected to my home network and an unknown public network. However, in the network sharing center it shows both networks connected to the same SSID which I find strange. How do I get rid of the public unknown network? Also in windows explorer when I expand the 'Network' list it lists my own PC name on the network and also under media devices. Could these be the source of the public unknown network? Although my wireless is working fine,
this thing just bugs the hell out of me .

Thanks in advance.

A:Network Connection Shows Unknown Public Network

Quote: Originally Posted by seven15heaven

Hi:

When I click on the wireless icon in the taskbar it shows connected to my home network and an unknown public network. However, in the network sharing center it shows both networks connected to the same SSID which I find strange. How do I get rid of the public unknown network? Also in windows explorer when I expand the 'Network' list it lists my own PC name on the network and also under media devices. Could these be the source of the public unknown network? Although my wireless is working fine,
this thing just bugs the hell out of me .

Thanks in advance.

I think a picture of the problem might help because I'm not completely sure about this.

It sounds like you may have inadvertently set up a wireless guest network when you set up your router.

Sometimes this is automatic on certain routers but there should be a way to disable it from the routers set up page.

Since they are both using the same SSID I'm assuming this guest network is set up outside the regular network so as to keep anyone connecting from accessing your data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/304925-network-connection-shows-unknown-public-network.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Aight let the fun begin When I turn on my computer I roll some dice to see if my internet is going to work If I role anything besides a my internet doesn't work It starts with trying to identify a public network and continues to try to identify it for hours on end I have tried many solutions spent hours on the phone with HP customer support linksys router support my internet company time warner cable and many other chat sites which as you can see since im here have had no success On my network Unidentified Networks followed by by Network Network Public followed Multiple Vista and XP computer as well as a Xbox I've tried every combination on the network to see if something unplugged would fix the problem no success The best part is when my Vista computer is connected to the internet sometimes my xbox cannot Unidentified Network followed by Public Network followed by Multiple Networks connect to xbox live When I unplug the Vista ethernet cord or disable the internet connection my suddenly can connect to my router and the internet flawlessly There are no conflicting IP addresses on my system I already checked for that Identifying Public Network Solutions Unidentified Network followed by Public Network followed by Multiple Networks to try and fix this None of them work effectively if I say a prayer it might work for half a day then go poopy again -Restart modem -Unplug modem -Restart router ive checked for any router fixes updates as well as bought a new router to see if helped no success -Unplug router -Static IP Fun fact about this one I made a static IP doing all that good stuff even have my port forwarded which is a Linksys and does a funky thing I am allowed to play online games and am also able to use instant chat messangers like skype aim and msn However when I attempt to connect to browsers such as Firefox Internet Explorer Google Chrome Opera or any other web-based browser it shows a constant loading screen followed by a unable to connect to internet screen If I take off the Static IP it goes back to trying to identify a public or unidentified network -Disable Enable the Network -Uninstall Network Driver Reinstall -Update Driver -Diagnose -Restart Computer -Went into regedit and tried their registry edit solution Windows Vista cannot obtain an IP address from certain routers or from certain non-Microsoft DHCP servers Fun thing about this one When doing their solution to this it had no effect When I am not recieving a Public or Unidentified network my Vista loves to throw a curve ball at me and tell me their are multiple networks connected I've tried directly connecting my Vista computer to my modem thinking quot Hey that should fix it quot Wrong Any help would be much appreciated Thanks in advance I'll try to check this post as often as I can but since my Vista computer cannot connect to web browsers I'll have to check it when my XP computer isnt in use by another family member Thanks again

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/197968-unidentified-network-followed-public-network-followed-multiple-networks.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hello all,
I have tried all the similar solutions to my problem but non eworks.

I have just installed WIndows 7 Home 64bit.
Wireless works (slooooooow).
The cable from my Billion router/modem is recognised but does not work.

In network and sharing centre I can see Wireless as Home Network and cable as:

Unidentified network - Public Network (no link = can't change it).
The 4 TCP/IPv4 is set at automatic. Even if I put the Billion default address 192.168.1.254 and subnet and gateway nothing.

Tried going into ipconfig and it gives me a 169.254.176.23 (=no internet connection then, but I knew that).

The wireless IP is correct at 192.168.1.2

From what I have understood from all the fora I have to change the network from Public to Home.

How do I do it?

I would be very grateful for any sort of help.

A:unidentified network - public network Windows 7 64bit

Hi Villas

Networks\Connections is not my area but this will show you how to change from public to home network - Network Location - Set as Home, Work, or Public Network

Danny

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/181627-unidentified-network-public-network-windows-7-64bit.html
Relevancy 79.98%

Hi Guys and Gals So i have a problem trying to connect unidentified home change network network to - Public cant my PC Via Ethernet wireless can connect but i m wanting wired as the signal strength is poor and of cause wired is faster ive never had wired connection on my PC and the problem has only just came about after moving home Public network - unidentified network cant change to home i digress so in network sharing its is showing my wired connection as unidentified public network - IPv Connectivity - no network access IPv Connectivity - no network access Now i have tried the following - resetting router i have fibre so reset both - reset pc - uninstalled reinstalled and udated drivers for Broadcom NetXtreme xx Gigabit Controller - turned off firewall - turned of anti virus anti spyware - manually assigned IP - automatically assigned IP - installed protocol on IPv and IPv - deleted network from my computer and reconnected - changed my security settings to low disabled then reset them back after no change ip config - Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Ryan gt ipconfig Windows IP Configuration Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link-local IPv Address fe c f c fd e d IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link-local IPv Address fe b fe a Autoconfiguration IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Tunnel adapter isatap F D- - - C -AD A B Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix IPv Address ef fb f f ff Link-local IPv Address fe f f ff Default Gateway Tunnel adapter isatap FF F D- BF - A-A D- A F E Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap E A - - BD -B - B FDD A D Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Any help with this would be great as i said i have a connection via wifi so im not gonna hang my self just yet but would really like some insight into the problem Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 78.26%

Dumb question here: I have just one computer. When I connect to the internet via dial-up, my computer says I'm part of a network and it wants me to choose between Public Network and Home Network.

I'm assuming the "network" detected is my dial-up connection and that I should choose "Public Network". Am I assuming correctly, or is my network type selection irrelevant to my dial-up settings.

Thanks.

A:Home Network, Public Network & Dial-Up

The security is different between the two. Unless you are out looking for wifi hot spots "public", then you should use the Home networking feature, although the workgroup may work better for you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/44562-home-network-public-network-dial-up.html
Relevancy 78.26%

Can't get Public Network to change to Home Network! This is with my ethernet cable. Also does not connect to the Internet. I have Googled but the way it shows how to do it is not available to me! Oh I am using Windows 7 professional. [IMG][/IMG]

Thank you in advance

A:Can't get Public Network to change to Home Network!

See Fix Windows 7 Network Connection Stuck In Public Mode - gHacks Tech News

If it is not obvious the link to fixit - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2578723/

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/377238-cant-get-public-network-change-home-network.html
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi,
One domain user recently can't see network drives and use printer. When you join a domain it automatically maps those drives and ads that printer, and it did, but now it is all gone. You can't even see disconnected drives in My computer. I am able to ping
those drives, but that's it. And this occurs only on one computer on one user. If log in to different user on that computer everything is fine and if I log in with that user on different computer it also works. Tried looking for disabled services, but couldn't
any that would be turned off from the most important (Workstation, Network location awareness, Network list service). Any suggestions?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cfdf0bb8-f959-472b-90da-7dbe588fa0ed/domain-user-cant-map-network-drives-and-print-on-network-printer?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 75.68%

This sounds really noobie of me but is it possible to improve local network transfer speed by adding a 2nd network card. I was planning to connect one exclusively for lan transfers and another one hooked to a separate wireless router.

Right now only a maximum of 3 users can stream SD videos off the PC before it gets a little choppy.

The pc in question runs on windows 7 and it's board has built in gigabit, I happen to have a spare gigabit card.

A:Will adding a 2nd network card improve local network transfer speed

That won't really help the way you are describing the problem, although adding access points will help with streaming to wireless devices.

Although there is a setting in Group Policy that allows you to use two connections at the same time, I don't believe it will help in this situation.

I've done many HD movie streaming tests on my system.

I can stream from my media PC to at least 7 other machines at the same time, 4 wired, 3 wireless, plus my TV, and have no problems at all, no skipping, no freezing, even with the same movie in the same place or with 8 different movies at once, my TV is connected to my media center PC so counts as the 8th one.

This is Gb LAN, and 300Mbps wireless but even the 65Mbps limited laptop has no problem.

I'm not really sure why you are seeing these limitations but it may be the router.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/275341-will-adding-2nd-network-card-improve-local-network-transfer-speed.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Step Close Network Unifentified Network Public - everything from router modem to your tower unplug everything literally everything and let it sit for a minute or two read windows unidentified network No internet access Eversince i came back from a short vacation my pc has being acting up and hasn't being able to get back to work No connection slow shut down x f errors I have no idea where to start so i figured i should start with the networking problems I am currently using my laptop to communicate in the internet hoping to find a solutions Unifentified Network - Public Network to the problems which my current Tower are having so i could move on to tackle the f Unifentified Network - Public Network errors Im currently using Windows Ultimate x gb corsair Inter r Core TM Quad CPU Q Ghz Nvidia Geforce GTX TP-Link TL-WR G Router Thing is Both of my Laptop and Tower are connected to the router via cable My laptop is working perfectly fine despite of being old Window XP but my tower's LAN is not working eventho i had enabled it just a couple minutes ago Unifentified Network - Public Network but a few reboots ago the LAN took forever to quot enable quot I had being going tru a few of the thread regarding the same problem here in this forum but i have yet found any solutions

A:Unifentified Network - Public Network

If updating the drivers does not fix the issue, to narrow down the prime cause of the crash let’s put the computer in a clean boot state and troubleshoot the issue.

Putting your system in clean boot state helps in identifying if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue. If yes, you may go ahead and disable or uninstall the same.

Follow the below steps to put your computer in clean boot state:

1. Log on to the computer by using an account that has administrator rights.
2. Click Start, type msconfig.exe in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER to start the System Configuration Utility. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.
3. On the General tab, click Selective Startup, and then click to clear the Load startup items check box. (The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.)
4. On the Services tab, click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box, and then click Disable all.
5. Click OK, and then click Restart.

The above steps would put the computer in clean boot state.

You should be able to tell if an installed program is causing this problem or not.

You might try running the sfc/scannow command to see if there are any file integrity problems.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/265448-unifentified-network-public-network.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Heyy i got some error when i wana connect to the internet using my other computer i got 2 computers 1 with the internet modem in (my sisters room) and the 1 in (my room) connecting to the internet through from my (sisters computer) my sisters computer has her internet running as i speak im using it.. but when i click "network and sharing center" i got (Unidentified Network (Public Network)) can anyone please help? im using a Realtek RTL8168B/8111B Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0) network card. so only my network is working with no internet my internet in (my room) used to work, but seems like when i changed xp to vista 32bit help plz thanks everyone

A:Unidentified Network (Public Network)

You dont happen to be running AVG 8 are you? Seems like there are some cases where it is causing problems with the network stack that Vista uses. I have found it to be the culprit on my Vista Ultimate x64 system but on my Vista Home Basic x64 laptop it has no problems (granted I am using wireless connection for the laptop and wired for the desktop).

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/198073-unidentified-network-public-network.html
Relevancy 75.25%

Hi, I've had this for some time, but I rebooted my PC to get a message on the right side of my screen (Windows 8) asking me if I'd like to join some network. I stupidly clicked it without actually thinking about it (I had previously actually tried to connect my Windows 7 laptop to my desktop and failed and was thinking this was that). But after clicking yes I had second thoughts and wondered exactly what I had accepted. Did it open my PC/Internet to hacking or something? I've attached a pic of my Network Connections and Network Sharing Information (with personal information blacked out). Have I done something silly? Is this dangerous? If so, how do I undo? And what's with the Network 3 thing? Why isn't it Network 2? My internet works fine (with the occasional hick-up, simply requiring fixing with the usual tools). Are there any problems? Should I be worried?

A:Unidentified Network Public Network

Anyone? I've seen posts regarding how to make it private, but not posts explaining whether it is a problem or not, and why. I want to know whether it's OK or whether I should actually follow instructions to make it private.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/71174-unidentified-network-public-network.html
Relevancy 75.25%

First time here and hope somone can Public Network Network Unidentified - help I know this issue has been raised before and does appear with SOLVED attached to it - but they do not work for me History - Windows machine that has worked perfectly through a netgear router since windows first came out Switched it on three days ago and it would not connect My wifes XP and a laptop using XP connect - no problems whatsoever So far I have tried all the fixes that have been listed in these forums with no success So as a last resort I have done a clean install of windows and still have the same problem - Unidentified network I have disconnected the other pc's on the network and have reset the Routers status back to its original settings and then tried to 'Set up new connection or network' but the system will not find the router I have already checked the ethernet cable and swapped it with a new one So here I am on a laptop wondering whether to throw my computer down the nearest mineshaft I have noticed that when I tried to enable disable the network adaptor - a Nvidia nforce networking controller which is an onboard LAN on my Asus P N-E sli motherboard - it 'hangs' or becomes unresponsive which means I have to power down the computer and re Unidentified Network - Public Network boot I have Unidentified Network - Public Network 'flashed' the bios on the motherboard and still no joy I m starting to believe that it may be a motherboard issue as opposed to windows - any help would b greatly appreciated as I have websites that I desparately need to update Cheers

A:Unidentified Network - Public Network

Would try 2 things:
remove/update the NIC drivers on the motherboard
Bypass the router completely and see if the issue remains

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/164896-unidentified-network-public-network.html
Relevancy 74.39%

I have two computers connected to the same modem with a printer connected to the one. The problem is that I can neither find the printer through Windows from the other computer so that I'll be able to print documents from both computers nor can I create a local network between the computers. I can't understand what the problem is because both computers connect to the internet without any problems.

Relevancy 74.39%

I use window 7 professional and have a local network to connect to internet, but when i connect, network and sharing center appear 2 networks connected,one of them is allways unidentifined networks, both of them are local area connection and i cant connect to internet. How can i resolve it, please help me

A:Local network problem

The unidentified networks, are these wireless? Any probs connecting over a fixed wired Ethernet setup?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/73369-local-network-problem.html
Relevancy 74.39%

Hi folks

Hope somebody can help me here.
I'm in charge of our present network here at work, however i'm no geek (no offense), only just manage to somehow keep it running
The network is setup with a Domain server (NT4) and all of the PC's that are in it are either XP Pro SP1 or SP2.
My problem is actually allowing laptop PC's outside of the Domain (in say a Workgroup) to use printers inside of the Domain.
PCs with the original version of WinXP Pro SP1 installed can be seen and also the printers by the Laptops.
PCs with WinXP Pro SP2 installed can be seen but I am unable to see the printers. from the Laptops, WHY???
Laptops are connecting via a wireless connection and are able to surf the internet.
Hope this makes sense to someone and you are able to help me here.

Thanks inadvance

Relevancy 73.53%

My computer is telling me a local area connection cable is unplugged. I looked behind the computer and didnt notice anything "unplugged". Any ideas what this could mean?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-area-network-problem.726852/
Relevancy 73.53%

I have been having problem connecting to my wireless modem through LAN cable out of a sudden 4 weeks ago.

Whenever I try to connect now, it will say "acquiring network address" and it will subsequently fail or says "limited or no connectivity". I've tried repairing the connection but it doesn't seem to work.

To check whether it is the problem with my modem, I have tested using my wireless connection and it seems to work fine. I've also ping 127.0.0.1 and got the response immediately.

Laptop - Dell Inspiron 640M
Modem - Dynalink RTA1025W
Network Card - Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller

Thank you in advance for advice.
JY

A:Problem with Local Area Network

The symptoms are you have either a driver issue, bad cable, bad port on the router, or a bad NIC.

I'd start by reloading the NIC drivers, if that doesn't do it, use a new cable and a new port on the router. If all else fails, you'll need a new NIC. Since that would be part of the motherboard, let's hope it's not the NIC.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-local-area-network.858621/
Relevancy 73.53%

I am having trouble with transfer speeds on my local network. 3 x Windows 7 PC's and one Linux Ubuntu. All computers are connected via gbit LAN setup in homegroup sharing (Ubuntu PC via Samba share).

When transfering files via Windows Explorer between the Windows PC's I get about 60-70 MB/s which is good. However when I transfer via FTP I only get about 11-12 MB/s, looks like speed is limited to 100mbit.

Also transfers in Windows Explorer between Ubuntu PC and any of the Windows PC's is limited in the same way (100mbit).

Anyone know what the problem could be? Any help greatly appreciated.

A:Local Network speed problem on LAN

Quote: Originally Posted by flikker

I am having trouble with transfer speeds on my local network. 3 x Windows 7 PC's and one Linux Ubuntu. All computers are connected via gbit LAN setup in homegroup sharing (Ubuntu PC via Samba share).

When transfering files via Windows Explorer between the Windows PC's I get about 60-70 MB/s which is good. However when I transfer via FTP I only get about 11-12 MB/s, looks like speed is limited to 100mbit.

Also transfers in Windows Explorer between Ubuntu PC and any of the Windows PC's is limited in the same way (100mbit).

Anyone know what the problem could be? Any help greatly appreciated.

What malare/firewall. FTP uses different ports through them than IE (25 vs 80)

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/206204-local-network-speed-problem-lan.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Ive tried basically evrything.
Ive tried Ip/tscp dumps
bios lan checks
system restores
2 separate other wireless network adapter
tried sharing network with another computer
to no avail, im alas stuck.
What to do?

A:There was a problem with a local area network driver

Hi Welcome to Seven Forums ... Can you please fill in your System Specs ..

The Link below will help you achieve this ...
System Info - See Your System Specs
Have you any errors in the Device Manager ? ....

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/345475-there-problem-local-area-network-driver.html
Relevancy 72.67%

I have WinXP Pro and WinXP Home running on a local network... When I boot them both up I cant connect to either PC... I am on the same workgroup (MSHOME), I can see both computer names but when I want to access a shared resource I get a denied message... How can I connect to each computer??

BTW, if I map a drive to the other computer shared folder it works just fine but when i want to go through this method:
My Network Places--View Workgroup computers--<computer name>, I cant get through...

Relevancy 72.67%

Hello,

I work in a company with almost 80 Windows 7 computer and another 200 or 250 Windows Xp computers in the domain, sometimes when users try to copy information to the File Server (Windows Server 2008) or to the network, the copy starts but never finish. It just stay there and the only way is to force the shut down to the computer and start over copying files one by one, this only happens in Windows 7 computers and does not always happen but it is very common

Is this a Know issue in Windows 7? What can be happening in our Network??

If I try to do the same copy locally on the computer the copy ends successfully, the problem only hapends when the copy is to the network (Just Windows 7 computers, Xp computers works fine)

Thank you all.

A:Windows 7 Domain Computers Problem with copies to network drives

I would like to suggest you update the network card driver and run Windows Update to install all the important updates first.

If it does not work, I also would like to suggest you disable the automatic adjustment for the TCP window size on the network to check the issue.

1. Click Start, click All Programs, and then click Accessories.
2. Right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, type your password, or click Continue.

3. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

4. Exit the Command Prompt window.
5. Restart the computer.

Thanks,
Suren

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/243616-windows-7-domain-computers-problem-copies-network-drives.html
Relevancy 72.24%

I'm running into a problem with connecting to network drives over a VPN. The common difference is whether or not the computer is part of the domain by default.

1) Computers connecting to VPN using local account on computer: Prompted for a domain login when attempting to use the network drives. Can get in.

2) Computers connecting to VPN using a domain account (but on another network): Unable to connect. Specific error changed based on below info.
A) Computer logged on and connected to an outside network. Never connected to domain network: Can't find folder error.
B) Connects to domain network at some point before connecting to an outside network and using VPN: Might be in use error, attached.

A:VPN Network Shared Drive Error Domain/Non-Domain Differences

Sounds more like the network the VPN connection puts you in has trouble making kerberos connections to domain controllers, but NTLM connections work fine (kerb might be blocked). The errors are likely bogus if you can get #1 to work - if the computer is connected to a domain it's going to want to use Kerb before NTLM, and if the machine still has (what it thinks is) a viable kerb ticket, it's going to try and validate that with a DC (to achieve auth), and if this fails, so does the connection.

This may not actually be the case, of course, but it sure has the symptoms of it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/209567-vpn-network-shared-drive-error-domain-non-domain-differences.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hello,

Yesterday i installed the Linksys BEFSR41 DSL router. The connection to the internet works from every port/switch (1 to 4). But the pc`s that are connected to the ports can't "see" eachother, so i can`t share files or printers. If i put another switch on a port of the linksys and i connect the pc`s to that switch then they "see" eachother and they can connect to the internet. But then i don`t use 3 ports of the Linksys :-(
What could be the problem? I think it should be a setting in the Linksys, i tried some but it didn`t work. Which setting could it be?

Greetz,

DJ

A:Connection Problem with local network Linksys BEFSR41v4

May be problem with subnet mask

Hi ,

As for my knowledge,
If you want to connect to another system on your router , all the connections should have the same "Sub net Mask"

You can see the subnet mask assigned using start -> run -> cmd

and "ipconfig/all"

Regards,
-Sidhi

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connection-problem-with-local-network-linksys-befsr41v4.41816/
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi all first post hopefully someone here can help with this perplexing problem I'm in Iceland and the local ISP's tech couldn't solve so I'm hoping someone here can The simplified version I have adsl through my ISP which provides both TV and internet I am connected through their router directly cat e through one switch which splits off to main floor cable box and then into the computer room Here's the interesting part when connecting directly to my laptop I get a internet connection no problems Take the same wire over to the desktop and nothing works only rarely is it even able to do a ping or tracert At this point I figured a possible hardware issue onboard ethernet So I used a wireless NIC and then a normal expansion NIC with the same results Figured at this point likely motherboard problem So at this point when I was about to buy a whole new mobo I wen't to my brothers house with my desktop hooked up the computer and bam the internet worked instantly with no problems So this is a very unusual one I'm not a total noobie and have tried lots of fixes from these and other forums The specific error message I get when using win diagnostic on the adapter is Ip config error doesn't have a valid techs can't local IP network Unusual problem, solve ip configuration So the ultimate question is if the hardware is ok why does my desktop refuse to work with the same connection that works perfectly on my laptop Thanks for any help I'm at a loss and anxious to finally figure out what is going on here

A:Unusual network problem, local IP techs can't solve

If you can post your ipconfig /all of the problem machine while it's connected that might help to figure out this problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/115946-unusual-network-problem-local-ip-techs-cant-solve.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I have two network cards in my PC. One of them connects to the internet while the other connects to my home network.

The issue is enabling public folders for the home network in "Network and Sharing Center" enables public folders for the public network also. In other words Windows grants permission to people on the internet to access my c:\users\Public folder.

Disabling public folders under public network settings disables public folders for the home network also, preventing people on my local area network from accessing my PC.

Refer this screenshot if you don't get my problem: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/6878074832/

In other words Windows grants permission to people on the internet to access my c:\users\Public folder.

A:Cannot turn off "Public Folder Sharing" for public network

I think it's because you set up a Public Network as your first interface. Because of this it may not be possible to turn off the Public file sharing option.

You don't need to use both interfaces to share the wireless connection with your wife. You can do that with a single interface by just setting up a Home Network on one of the interfaces then sharing out from that interface using software to make it easier like Connectify.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/221552-cannot-turn-off-public-folder-sharing-public-network.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Can I access a network share on the domain with a non-domain computer? I would connect the computer directly to the corporate network. 
For what reasons could this be blocked (firewall? policy? settings on server-side?) and what configuration is needed to make sure it is possible to access a network share with a non-domain computer?
Thanks already for your help!

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/18527e9e-f0d1-44cf-99e3-1cee06f9ed29/can-i-access-a-network-share-on-the-domain-with-a-nondomain-computer?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 71.81%

I've got a machine running Windows 7 logged on the network domain but when I try to map a share to a machine on the network, but not registered on the domain I cannot connect (even though I have a local account on the networked machine).When attempting to connect Windows 7 prompts me for my connection credentials and it automatically fills in the domain name.  How can I connect to this network share using credentials that are local to that network share?

A:Logging in to Non-Domain Network Share from computer on Domain

When you say local credentials I assume you mean local on the "TestServer", not local on the Windows 7 box. Then you should be able to just type in TestServer\LocalAccount and the password (the domain you see should automatically switch to "TestServer")Also; have you tried mapping the drive using the IP address (i.e. \\xx.xx.xx.xx\TestShare)?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/55f8cd00-3053-4201-af27-864cafff0693/logging-in-to-nondomain-network-share-from-computer-on-domain?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 71.38%

Hello I looked up this Wireless Local - only/unidentified Solved: problem network connection forum today as I saw it is a great place to get Solved: Wireless connection problem - Local only/unidentified network some help so I thought I d Solved: Wireless connection problem - Local only/unidentified network ask We switched our Solved: Wireless connection problem - Local only/unidentified network internet provider yesterday virginmedia to talktalk and the switch has been easy as pie for everything we have from the xbox to PCs to phones etc but my laptop simply will not do the same It picks up the network but no data comes back It just says unidentified network and local only I ve been fiddling with settings looking up troubleshooting guides looking at youtube help videos and yet I still have the same problem I ve been doing this for about hours now and it s driving me nuts It s a Toshiba laptop and runs vista if that s important I ve also seen that taking an ipconfig all shot and a xirrus screenshot also helps in this situation so i m posting below Please help Thanks for your time ipconfig all Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Rob gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name blahblahblah Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List dlink com Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR EG Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - -D - -AE-EE DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c bf cdba f e Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - C-D - C- - E- -A - - DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix dlink com Description Realtek RTL E Family PCI-E Fast Ethern et NIC NDIS Physical Address - E- -A - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d a eabd e Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained September Lease Expires September Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - C-D - C- - E- -A - - DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap FF D ED- C- - BF- F AB E br F Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Click to expand Note the top two results above are both our wifi networks we have a repeater upstairs too nbsp

A:Solved: Wireless connection problem - Local only/unidentified network

you have the : Atheros AR5007EG and vista - which have proved problematic - see the solutions below

DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
however , you have a fixed IP on the wireless adapter - although that looks ok if the cable works
change to a dhcp - yes - see how below

If you connect to the router by cable is that working OK

Setup to Automatically get IP and DNS
VISTA
-----
Setup to Automatically get an IP and DNS (DHCP) - for Vista
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Change-TCP-IP-settings

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Atheros Wireless Adapter - AR5007EG & AR5007

Over the last couple of years we have been seeing a lot of problems with the above adapters, mainly concerning WPA and WPA2 encryption and mainly on windows Vista.
We have seen just a couple of issues on other windows operating system, windows XP and windows 7.

Windows XP:- A driver update has resolved the issue
Windows 7 :- No conclusive results for a fix

The wireless adapter gets an IP configuration, and shows as connected, but communication is non-existent or sporadic.

Log into the Router and disable the wireless security and see if you are now able to connect to the internet and surf OK.
Please post back a reply here, and let us know if that works or does not work.
If you post back the make and exact model of the router - we can advise how to disable the wireless security

Here are a number of possible solutions

--- 1) In Device Manager right click on the wireless adapter and "update driver."

--- 2) Download and install the latest wireless driver from your laptop manufacturer's web site support section,

If you post a reply here with the Make and EXACT model of your PC, along with the windows version you are running. we will see if we can find a link to the driver and will post a reply with the link here.

--- 3) On one occasion re-setting the router back to factory default and re-configuring the router settings has resolved the issue

--- 4) The majority of members, have now used the drivers from the atheros driver site, which has resolved the issue.
- see below for direct links for windows vista and the link for all Atheros adapters and supported operating systems
AR5007
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007 and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started
AR5007EG
Vista 32 / 64 Bit
Direct link Drivers for Atheros AR5007EG and Windows Vista 32 / 64 bit
You only need to click on the green download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started
Drivers for the other windows operating system
http://www.atheros.cz/atheros-wireless-drivers.php
You need to look down the page for your particular adapter model and then look across the columns to find your windows version.
Now click on the blue tick mark in the column under your windows version.
This will open another page for that particular adapter and that windows version.

Now click on the download button labelled " Click to Download " and wait, the file will download - you do not need to click on any other buttons to get the download started

Assuming that after all the above the wireless still does not connect to the internet, all I can suggest is to use wireless security of WEP or to get an external USB wireless card.

Please post a reply here , and keep us informed of the situation and how you finally resolved the issue.

To install the driver you will need to do the following

Extract the downloaded zip file into a folder on the PC
then

For Vista;
> Start Globe
> Control Panel
> System and maintenance
> Scroll down to Device manager
> network adaptors, click on the + &... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wireless-connection-problem-local-only-unidentified-network.1069076/
Relevancy 70.52%

i am creating a local network of just 2 PCs. 1st one is using windows 7 OS and the 2nd one is using windows 8.1 . Error i am facing is when i click on TCP/IP(v4) properties in 2nd PC(win 8.1 pc) it says that ""In order to configure TCP/IP, you
must install and enable a network adapter card.". 1st pc is working fine and showing shared drives and files in network but 2nd PC is not showing anything in network because id donot allow me to configure IP settings. 
Please Note that i have also connected WiFi connection to my 2nd PC and that connection is working fine and showing all the TCP/IP Properties correctly without showing any error. 
I have disabled Network adapter in Device manager and installed again but nothing happens. 
Help me in this Please
Thank you!!

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/2990769a-8c77-41b4-9f7a-3dc0ae0c39e7/error-while-opening-local-network-properties-in-windows-81-ampquotin-order-to-configure-tcpip?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 70.52%

Okay so the laptop a couple of years old Acer Aspire won t connect to the internet all of a sudden and it Problem (Vista)? Conflict Internet Only Address Local - Network/IP Unidentified appears to only have occurred since we first connected the Ipad to the same network Often when we turns the laptop on around times out of it says local only where the internet information is but sometimes after several times of repeatedly turning it on and off and the router it will finally connect This morning however it won t at all Often when trying to connect to the internet a dialogue comes up explaining an IP address conflict the computer runs windows vista and we have tried literally everything under the sun we have attempted to update the driver this morning only to be told it is already the latest version Don t know what to do We have tried everything to our knowledge and more and none of the fixes on google seem to be effective PC World failed to do anything of any use also When connected via ethernet etc there is no problem so I am pretty sure its to do with the wireless and possibly this IP conflict nbsp Unidentified Network/IP Address Conflict Problem - Local Only Internet (Vista)?

A:Unidentified Network/IP Address Conflict Problem - Local Only Internet (Vista)?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unidentified-network-ip-address-conflict-problem-local-only-internet-vista.1023613/
Relevancy 69.66%

I am using Windows 7, when I startup I get my network and a public network with no internet availiable. I only get internet access when I disable and then re-enable my network connection. I have tried to disable this public network permanently, but without success as the same problem occurs after reboot. Any help would be greatfully recieved.

A:network and public network

Fill out your system specs. The link is in my signature.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/39359-network-public-network.html
Relevancy 69.66%

HI ALL I HAD THIS PROBLEM TRIED ALL THE RECOMMENDATIONS THAT CAME UP AFTER GOOGLING THIS PROBLEM BUT WORKED NONE FOR ME AFTER TWO WEEKS HEADACHE I FOUND A VERY SIMPLE SOLUTION AND NOW MY INTERNET WORKS ABSOLUTELY FINE WHAT internet UNIDENTIFIED SOLUTION SIMPLE only wifi) / PROBLEM, (local VISTA NETWORK no I DID WAS A SIMPLE SOLUTION BUT TO DO THIS YOU NEED TO CONNECT YOUR PROBLEM COMPUTER TO INTERNET SOMEHOW MAY BE USING CABLE NET VISTA UNIDENTIFIED NETWORK (local only / no internet wifi) PROBLEM, SIMPLE SOLUTION OR USING YOUR MOBILE PHONE A MODEM THEN SIMPLY UPDATE FOLLOWING DRIVER AND ALL PROBLEM DIES ----- gt open gt gt NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER ------ gt then from the left hand pane open gt gt MANAGE NETWORK CONNECTIONS ------- gt then right click on WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION and select PROPERTIES -------- gt in the new window that has opened under the Networking tab click CONFIGURE --------- gt in the new window you have DRIVER tab in the middle click it then on this page click UPDATE DRIVER ---------- gt then select SEARCH AUTOMATICALLY FOR UPDATED DRIVER SOFTWARE as i told you at start that you have to connect your computer to internet somehow to do that you will see windows will find updated driver and install it after this installation UNIDENTIFIED NETWORK problem disappears and WiFi starts working fine Hope this helps and saves others from going through the pain that I had to for last two weeks Good Luck Khurram Bhatti UK nbsp

A:VISTA UNIDENTIFIED NETWORK (local only / no internet wifi) PROBLEM, SIMPLE SOLUTION

Almost always it's best to get the latest driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site for an integrated adapter, otherwise from the adapter manufacturer's web site. But sometimes, as you say, you get lucky and whatever Windows finds works.

You can mark this solved using the button at the upper left of the page.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-unidentified-network-local-only-no-internet-wifi-problem-simple-solution.1008474/
Relevancy 69.23%

Hi,

My LAN (local area connection) is automatically on a Public network, I'm not sure why or if its always been like this. My Broadband is on home. I cant change the LAN to home. A message popped up and said something along the lines of "this network has too many internet connections".

I'm wondering what it means if my unidentified network is public and if there is anyway to change it to home?

Thanks =)

A:LAN on Public Network

My understanding is that any network with Internet access is, by definition, a public network.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/49736-lan-public-network.html
Relevancy 69.23%

From the beginning that i install windows 10 i had a homenetwork (network 1).Now it is switchd to a public network (network 2).How is that happen?
How can i back to my home network (network 1) ?

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/44257-public-network.html
Relevancy 69.23%

I have come accross a problem with a pc that sees every network as a Public Network, so it will not connect directly to a Broadband supplier. Is there any way to reset this without reinstalling the O/S?

A:Public Network

Quote: Originally Posted by SatSteve

I have come accross a problem with a pc that sees every network as a Public Network, so it will not connect directly to a Broadband supplier. Is there any way to reset this without reinstalling the O/S?

This should help you to fix this problem.
Windows 7 Network connections are stuck in Public mode

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/252820-public-network.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi folks.  This is after doing an upgrade from Server 2008 to Server 2008 R2 mind you.  Not sure if that matters.  

I was having problems with RDPing to my Win7 clients so I checked that remote desktop was enabled.  When doing so I saw that it informed me that I had to allow rdp access in the firewall which I know had been done before.  After looking around I realized that my network profile had been changed to "Public".  I also noticed that my active network shows as "unauthenticated".  What does this mean and how can I fix this?  How did this happen?  Thanks.

A:Network shows as "Unauthenticated"....Changed my network profile to "Public"

How many DCs are there in the domain?
I suggest that you remove the Windows 7 computer from the AD, and exit the Windows 7 computer from domain. Then, re-join the computer to the domain. How does it work now?
If the issue persists, please temporary disable the firewall on both computers. Also, please check if Network Location Awareness service is enabled on the server and Windows 7 computers.Arthur Xie - MSFT

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ca343a3c-c61e-4816-9a96-d973386db2e2/network-shows-as-quotunauthenticatedquotchanged-my-network-profile-to-quotpublicquot?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 68.37%

So I have fibre optic broadband and I connect my PC and Xbox together through my PC motherboard LAN connections To explain what I have done is I have two LAN connections on my EvGA i motherboard and I have bridged out these two ports because I Changes Network to Public Homegroup find it is is easier connecting the Xbox this way as I don't have to deal with the firewall Homegroup Changes to Public Network issues and programme each file to access it and it is just smoother with no dropouts The problem that I have though is as soon as I start up the Xbox then my PC and any other laptop Homegroup Changes to Public Network has this issue Firstly the two laptops connect wirelessly As soon as the Xbox fires up firstly it switches on my partners HP DV laptop and this might be because it is a media laptop and has an infra red remote which perhaps frequencies are crossing I can live with this The issue is the network Both my PC and the laptops automatically switch from a homegroup to a public network My PC is fine if I reboot it will revert back to the homegroup but my partners laptop will not It stays on this public network and so she can't access the internet I have tried changing and managed to change back to a homegroup but it is confused in that it does not know which homegroup to connect to I have typed in the WPA code but it does not appear to recognise this as our network Has anyone experienced a similar situation please Is it because I have bridged the LAN ports and it is confusing Windows All are using Windows PC and HP laptop are Ultimate and other laptop is Professional

A:Homegroup Changes to Public Network

A homegroup is different from a network identified in the network and sharing center as a "home network." From context, you're talking about a home network rather than a homegroup. To rephrase your issue using normal terminology, network recognition on your Windows 7 PCs is misidentifying your home network when your Xbox is connected.

What happens if you plug your Xbox directly into your wireless router rather than bridging it through your PC? It shouldn't happen, but using bridge mode might be confusing your other Windows PCs.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/207146-homegroup-changes-public-network.html
Relevancy 68.37%

everytime i reboot computer, it connect 2 network " work network & public network", i can't access to the internet. so i disconnected and reconnect again . the public network dissappear and detected "work network" automatically, then internet is working fine.... anyway to disable " public network", so i do not need to disconnect and reconnect again everytime i boot the computer?

A:how to disable public network? please help me ...

This tutorial should help you get that fixed.

Unidentified Networks - Set as Private or Public

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/95056-how-disable-public-network-please-help-me.html
Relevancy 68.37%

WIN7 SP1, Comcast Cable (internet only), Motorola gateway, Ethernet Cable,
Onboard Realtek LAN, IPv6 disabled.

My IP address of 192.xxx keeps changing to 169.254.52.105 and to public network.
I tried manually setting IP in v4 properties but that doesn't work nor does modem refresh
or ipconfig /renew.

I used to use a Netgear wnda3100v2 but it kept losing the internet signal for no apparent reason so I went to the ethernet cable. Unfortunately I failed to see if the IP was changing at that time.
Any help will be appreciated.

A:Static IP Changes To Public Network

If you are connecting your PC to your Motorola cable modem directly (that is, not through a router), then your IP address should be assigned by the Motorola, which is assigned by your ISP.

I'm going to assume the second octet is 168 (192.168). If that is true....

This is a class C address (like 192.168.x.x), which are private addresses that cannot be used on the Internet.

Since it sounds like you are connecting to your Motorola directly, then you would not be using NAT, so there is no translation from the 192.168.x.x (LAN) address to the ISP assigned (WAN) address.

The 169.254 address is assigned as a "generic" (public) address when your computer cannot get an address from your DHCP server, router or modem.

At least, that's how it works here in Australia.

I would contact your provider and check with them as to the address that should be assigned.

If the second Octet is not 168, for example, your IP address is 192.0.1.0 - 192.167.255.255 then such addresses are valid for internet usage, but I would still contact your ISP.

hth

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/238992-static-ip-changes-public-network.html
Relevancy 68.37%

Hello

I came home today and switched my Vista pc on to discover a yellow warning triangle on my network icon. This was showing as "Unidentified network"

I have had this problem before, and resetting the modem allowed me to connect to my usual "Home network"

After doing some research, i believe the issue is caused by a program called bonjour which comes with itunes. I have since disabled this, but i am still curious about this "Unidentified network"

It shows up directly beneath my normal home network in the network and sharing centre, and i am concerned as to what it is? e.g can other people access my network through this?

Thank you.

A:Unidentified public network?

I doubt it, I suspect it's just a network definition that doesn't have a connection, hence the error indication.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unidentified-public-network.869627/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi,

I've set up free wireless internet in a guest house is there any way I could see which rooms are logged on to it. Currently I have Network Magic which only shows the name of the computer and the OS. Sorry I'm new to networking.

The router is a Belkin G.

A:Solved: Public network

All you can figure out is what you see, since the router has no knowledge of a specific location of a wireless connection.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-public-network.807244/
Relevancy 68.37%

Hi I have managed to get my two home computers to see each other The one ICS Public and / Network Private runs Public / Private Network and ICS Windows Vista Home Premium and the other runs Windows Vista Home Basic I can dial both computers up to the internet perfectly if I attach the modum to them and I can share files and access them however nothing I do seems to allow me Public / Private Network and ICS to do Internet Connection Sharing ICS I have reset the quot Workgroup quot name Public / Private Network and ICS on both computers I have disabled password protection and I have loaded both user accounts on both machines What I can see is that whenever I turn the machines on it says of the network quot Unidentified Network quot and sets the status as quot Public quot I have to reset this to quot Private quot on both computers in order for the two computers to see each other I have never been able to get the computers to do proper file sharing had them for two years now but have been able to print to one printer doing printer sharing So this proper file sharing is good But I need the internet connection working too Can someone help me please I have scanned the web and these forums which is how I got the file sharing going but need help I would like to be able to do the ICS and not have to change the network status each time I turn on the computers

A:Public / Private Network and ICS

Hello, and welcome, i need a bit more info please : Have you got both computers connected to a router ? Or are you just using a modem ?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/294638-public-private-network-ics.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I'm trying to connect an Xbox 360 to my University's wireless network using a bridged connection between the wireless adapter and the LAN adapter. I can connect to the internet on the Xbox, but not Xbox LIVE. I get an error message stating that my MTU setting must be 1364 or higher. I obviously cannot access the router settings because they are the schools routers and I do not have administrative privileges. So, Is there some other way to modify MTU settings without that access?

A:Change MTU on Public network?

Should be able to take care of that by following the directions at the bottom of this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/826159) page....

Any time you change the registry, be sure to set a restore point and/or make a backup of the registry, just in case you run into trouble. That's all in the instructions tho.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/change-mtu-on-public-network.1014242/
Relevancy 68.37%

Besides using a VPN connection when using a public WIFI, what other precautions should I take?

Let's say I'm connected to the WLAN but not surfing the net, is Windows firewall enough to protect me?

A:What precautions should I take when using a public network?

These articles have some suggestions:

Public Wireless Networks

How to Stay Safe on Public Wi-Fi Networks

How to stay safe at a public Wi-Fi hotspot | Ars Technica

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/275280-what-precautions-should-i-take-when-using-public-network.html
Relevancy 68.37%

I use a public network that doesn't seem to permit downloads including anti virus updates Windows updates etc. It begins to download but stops within the first 10%, and if downloads do complete the installation process fails. is there any way to get around this restriction?

A:Public Network downloads

Nope, in doing so you're violating the rules of the network. Any work arounds would be a no no.

Besides, not knowing anything about the network, it'd be right hard to even begin on a work around.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/283529-public-network-downloads.html
Relevancy 67.94%

This just happened out of nowhere yesterday morning My local "Network a - internet? to the network to not Connected 7" but Solved: roommate was using her laptop with no issues until suddenly the connection cut out She tried reconnecting but had no luck so she waited still no signal She was able to see our network name but it would not allow her to connect to it Same thing when I tried my laptop I could see it scanning wi-fi and showed available connections including our own but it wouldn t let me connect The desktop in our home office has internet The modem is showing all the proper lights flashing indicating there is ethernet DSL and internet When we open our laptops and get a signal even for a brief moment it kills the connection on the desktop and all lights on the modem go off except the power light which starts flashing slowly Totally loses connection As soon as we close the laptop the connection comes back on the desktop I noticed that the icon in the Solved: Connected to "Network 7" a local network - but not to the internet? tray that indicates connectivity the two computer monitors flashing blue back and forth looks different than normal There is no little globe in Solved: Connected to "Network 7" a local network - but not to the internet? front of them there are just two monitors and there is usually a globe showing internet access So I clicked it and it says we re connected to quot Network quot Access local So I took a screen shot of this What is going on can someone help me out I have no idea what to do but we need internet on the Solved: Connected to "Network 7" a local network - but not to the internet? laptops If you need any more information from me feel free to ask Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Connected to "Network 7" a local network - but not to the internet?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-connected-to-network-7-a-local-network-but-not-to-the-internet.1073683/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi.
I have a non-domain computer (win 10 basic).
Can it connect to a Aerohive wireless domain network?
Any links to a tutorial on the net?

Thanks...

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/49689-non-domain-win-10-computer-domain-network.html
Relevancy 67.51%

My home laptop with Windows 7 firewall settings said that my home or work (private) networks had firewall connected, but the public one isn't connected. I don't remember setting this; what should it be set at? Thanks.

Relevancy 67.51%

Okay so I m staying at this crappy hotel for the next months while on a job I brought my desktop PC thinking their would be an ethernet port in the room but there isn t I went out and bought a Belkin USB Using network SLOOWWW - public access Wireless N network adapter and I download things at Using public access network - SLOOWWW roughly kbps which just sucks I tried to ask the quot tech guy quot here what type of router they are using and he said quot W-E-P quot so I just said quot okay quot and walked away knowing that he barely speaks english What can I do to get any more speed out of this I don t know if it s a B G or N If it s a G would buying the N i think it s quot N quot or the N Dual Band help at all What settings can I change What can I buy I ve also got my Xbox hooked into my PC via the ethernet port and shared the network connection with it to play Xbox Live it s slow but not unplayable Any advice on getting better speed here would be appreciated although I m pretty sure anything that would help would be answered to my first paragraph If the people will let me have access to the router apparently I m the only one that has even asked to see if they have wifi this place is practically a ghost town what can I do then MY PC SPECS intel core duo conroe asus p q mobo gigs kingston Windows Vista bit Ultimate nbsp

A:Using public access network - SLOOWWW

In my experience, even the "we're quite expensive and we still charge you 25$ for internet every night" hotels have crappy, slow internet. I would buy a 3G USB modem instead and try and expense it. Hotel internet suuuucks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-public-access-network-sloowww.1026662/
Relevancy 67.51%

first of all the reason this is in the win forum and not the networking is to home network changing public that i have different models of computer in the network and only one is having the issue sometimes usually after a power loss on the switch the server computer switches the network from home to public thereby blocking the pos machines from logging in the system is like this pos machines acer all in one and a dell desktop one server an hp all in one all running windows bit updated and installed from the same disk quickbooks pos foxit pdf reader office zip and firefox the network is a dlink router home network changing to public to a cisco switch for the hard wired pos network and a separate nettrend router for wifi for the customers they use a x ip scheme with dhcp on all but the server the hosts file on each has the server added i was told that when searching for an available network that it sometimes took longer to get the home back up the computer would latch on to a public network first and that there was a hotfix for this but when i downloaded all three two bit and a bit it said they were not for my machine or not needed is there some sort of registry hack or something i can use to make it always use the home network that would be the easiest solution or a hotfix or something i tried swapping out home network changing to public the server with a pos but it would take a total reinstall of the os to home network changing to public change the server at this point any help is greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

If you have a solution pretend like I am years old when you explain it Thanks OS is Vista Home Basic Windows says I m connected but DNS Solved: prob public network my internet browsing is terrible Most pages won t load can t find server timeout errors some load partially some load slowly and when I click on the link it Solved: DNS prob public network timesout There doesn t seem to be any pattern it is never the same pages that load or don t load I Solved: DNS prob public network am at a public library using a public network When I started coming here everything worked fine the problem just started in the last days Windows network diagnostic error message cannot communicate with dns server Tried changing to opendns Same error message Here is some info Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Windows system gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Adrienne-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR X Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - - D-A - -F DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe f e be a f e Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Tuesday July AM Lease Expires Tuesday July PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL x Family Fast Ethernet NIC Physical Address - -D - - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap F A E - B - -A BA-F F D D br F Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe efe Preferred Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address e ee ef ff Pref erred Link-local IPv Address fe ee ef ff Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap EF AB- B A- A -AB B- A FC C br E Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Windows system gt ping Pinging with bytes of data Request timed out General failure Reply from bytes time ms TTL Reply from bytes time ms TTL Ping statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost loss Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds Minimum ms Maximum ms Average ms C Windows system gt ping www yahoo com Pinging www yahoo-ht akadns net with bytes of data General failure Request timed out Reply from bytes time ms TTL Reply from bytes time ms TTL Ping statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost loss Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds Minimum ms Maximum ms Average ms C Windows system gt Thanks in advance Jason nbsp

A:Solved: DNS prob public network

Did you ask other people there if they're also having an issue? This sounds like a network issue that would be the library's problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dns-prob-public-network.600008/
Relevancy 67.51%

Just recently when I have access.... suddenly net public network and no boot up cold I have no net access When I look at network and sharing center I have listed a private and public network The public network is new If I click on view status for the public network and disable it both networks disapear from the list I suddenly have public network and no net access.... then tell system to repair and the private network comes back on and all is well Why is a public network suddenly showing up and how do I stop this from happening By the way once I get rid of the public network and reboot the public network does not show up again but will show up again on a cold reboot ie shut system down restart and it's there Also this morning after going through all suddenly have public network and no net access.... of this I noticed the network notification icon in the taskbar now has a little blue thingie in it's lower right hand corner and I can't for the life of me figure out what that is what it means All help welcome I am running vista ultimate bit on a desktop PC No wireless on this PC though the router is wireless Thanks

A:suddenly have public network and no net access....

Hello nelsonsdavis and welcome to VistaX64!

Can you provide a screenshot of your Network and Sharing Center? It should make it easyier to see whats going on and give you a better idea how to fix it also the blue thingy over the network icon shows you your local network internet status.

dmex

http://www.vistax64.com/browsers-mail/147748-suddenly-have-public-network-no-net-access.html
Relevancy 67.51%

In supporting a Community Assocation I have the need to create a public network and a private one that shares the same internet connection. The way this is shaping up is:

Modom (dial up)
D-Link Router (DI-704 w/ serial port)

Public Network
16 Port Hub

Private Network
LinkSys Router (BEFSR41)
8 Port Switch (currently a hub)

Some devices will need to connect to the routers and the hubs/switchs because of location. (no big deal, I ***-u-me)

Currently I have the settings as:
D-Link (Public)
IP : 192.168.1.64
Range : 65 to 127
Default IP mask (Can't find one)

LinkSys (Private)
IP : 192.168.1.32
Range : 33 to 47
Default IP mask

When connected to the Private network, a PC cannot ping the public ones or get the Internet (I need both). The public ones have Internet access, can ping the LinkSys but no PCs (As it should be).

So what how should this work and what am I missing?

A:Creating a Public and Private network

Welcome to TechSpot

I think the following might be helpful:

D-Link (Public) connect to your modem.
Router-setup WAN:
Protocol: Fixed IP
IP-address, Subnetmask and default Gateway: as per ISP-information
DNS-servers: as per ISP-information
Enable NAT

Router-setup LAN:
IP-address: 192.168.1.64
Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
DHCP-server: disable
You selected Range : 65 to 127

PC-Settings (Public)
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Use the following fixed IP addresses: 192.168.1.65 (66, 67 etc. - 126)
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.64 (IP-address from your Router)
Use DNS Server address: 192.168.1.64 (IP-address from your Router)
Second DNS: leave blank or put in first DNS-server from WAN-part in Router

Reserve the IP address: 192.168.1.127 for the Linksys (Private)
which will plug into the D-Link
============================================================================

LinkSys (Private) connect to the D-Link router.
Router-setup WAN:
Protocol: Fixed IP
IP-address: 192.168.1.127
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.127
DNS-servers: 192.168.1.127
Enable NAT

Router-setup LAN:
IP-address: 192.168.1.127
DHCP-server: disable
You selected Range : 33 to 47

PC-Settings (Private)
Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
Use the following fixed IP addresses: 192.168.1.33 (34, 35 etc. - 47)
Default Gateway: 192.168.1.127 (IP-address from your Router)
Use DNS Server address: 192.168.1.127 (IP-address from your Router)
Second DNS: leave blank

============================================================================

Valid for both Routers:
Some System-settings (depending on your router)
Optional SNTP (time): e.g. 194.35.252.7 for UK/Ireland (GMT)
uPnP: disable
Dynamic routing: disable
Remote config: disable
Dynamic DNS: disable
Firewall: Block hacker attack: enable
Firewall: Block WAN request: enable
VPN: disable all settings unless you need it

PC-Settings (Public & Private)
Make sure all PCs are in the same WORKGROUP.
Enable File/Printer sharing if you wish (works only within local network)
Check individual printer(s) that they are shared as well (in printer-settings)
In the software firewall, enable/block the other PCs IP-address(es)

I am not 100% sure, but this should work.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/creating-a-public-and-private-network.17048/
Relevancy 67.51%

So I have a computer that I remote desktoped through neorouter private I cannot remote desktop to it through the hamachi interface It's set to public but I can ping the machine and even browse the files However it does not accept incoming connections I want to set it to private except in the network control panel there is no clickable quot public quot it's read only So I saw some guy's fix except NetworkList does not exist in windows in the registry Registry key for those looking at least on Win HKLM SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows NT CurrentVersion NetworkList Profiles There will be a bunch of keys with GUIDs as names Within each you'll have everything you need the ProfileName is what you'll recognize as the Wireless SSID The combination of Category and CategoryType seem to determine whether a network is Public Work or Home Catgory and no CategoryType seems to denote Public Category and CategoryType seems to be Work to public Can't private from network change I don't have any Home networks so I don't know how those are defined Hope this helps someone out How do I fix this I also don't have physical access to this computer Also I saw this downloading the registry file did nothing under windows http www sevenforums Can't change network from public to private com tutorials Can't change network from public to private -unidentified-networks-set-private-public html - - I disabled and re-enabled I tried doing it myself manually except those settigns don't even exist under windows Why the heck is somethign so simple so hard Even Linux is easier to set network adapters and that's saying a lot rofl EDIT My windows computer lets me connect through RDP through the hamachi interface even though it's public I don't understand what's going on gt

A:Can't change network from public to private

Helo jigglywiggly,

You might see if the tutorial below may be able to help with this.

Network Location - Set to Private or Public in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/12830-cant-change-network-public-private.html
Relevancy 67.51%

please help

i have laptop running vista wireless conection to netgear router

home pc running wired xp conection to router

2nd laptop wiv xp wirless conection to router

all computers are connected to the the router and internet fine, i am trying to share files between all three computers.
my vista laptop can see all computers on the network. it an open its own public folder and the public folder on the 2nd laptop (xp). it cant open the pc message: may not have permission, login failure: user has not been granted requested login type.

the xp laptop cannot see the 1st laptop or pc.

the pc wiv (xp) can see and open both computers

so my prob is wiv the xp laptop

firewalls are disabled all folders are the default share folders soz if missed N E thing
thanx in advance

A:cannot open public folder on network

On the XP machine with the shared folder do this.

Logon failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer

If you see this message the following should be done on the computer containing the shared files:

Download the following and install it

Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=4544

after installation is complete, click on: Start, All Programs, Windows Resource Kit Tools, Command Shell

Then enter the following commands. (Attention: they are case sensitive.)

net user guest /active:yes
ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

The first command enables network access for Guest, the two subsequent ones change two different policies to allow network access for Guest.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cannot-open-public-folder-on-network.594873/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi Guys!
I don't know enough English for explaining the problem i give the screen shot.

A:Can't change Public Network to Home

Hello Aram,

Have you tried this method below to change it?

Network Location - Set as Home, Work, or Public Network

Could you repost your screenshot using the method below instead?

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html

Hope this helps for now,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/102169-cant-change-public-network-home.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Under "Advanced sharing settings", one can really turn off a lot of network sharing features to secure a computer.

The "Public folder sharing" switch allows one to turn off Public folder sharing, but people logged on to "this" computer can still access these folders. Does anyone know if this means *remote* login? If so, is there a way to deactivate this so that it is only accessible at the "console"? And by Public folder, does that mean a folder that is user-specific (and controlled by owning user), but open to the public? Or does it mean a file space "commons", accessible and controlled by all users?

The "Password protected sharing" switch allows one to restrict access to the computer to only those who have an account and password on the computer. Again, is there a way to ensure that access is only possible from the console?

A:Windows 7 Public network profile

It's probably best and most important to understand that access to shares (locally or across a network) are actually an aggregate of two seperate security settings defined in the properties of the individual file or folder being shared.
1. Share Permissions (for users comming at you from across the network) defined under the sharing tab in file and or folder properties.
2. NTFS Permissions (for users setting at the console) defined under the security tab in file and or folder properties.
When these two permissions are defined, they are combined and the most restrictive is what is actually applied to the share.
For years it has been a generally accepted practice to configure share permissions (Everyone = Full Control) and then use the NTFS Permissions to more granularly define explicitly who has access and how much access they have. I still consider this a good practice if for no other reason than it saves a lot of back checking between the two permission sets to make sure nothing is conflicting.
Additionally you need to understand that permissions can be applied to both individual users as well as groups and you need to consider this when a user is having problems accessing a file or folder to which he has explicitly been granted access. What group does he belong to, what permission does that group have to the same file or folder. If he has write access but the group he belongs to only has read access, then he will only have read access.
Here's a very good reference if you can suffer through it and learn it, you shouldn't have any permission problems going forward.
Good Luck
Randy

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/169068-windows-7-public-network-profile.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I need help doing this for windows 7 home ed. x32
I have my xbox 360 connected via cat 5. I cant access files unless the network is private

A:Make a Public Network Private?

I don't know if this will help, but go to your Network and Sharing Center, then you should see all of your connections. Then change whatever network you want from a Public location to a Home or Work network.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/96396-make-public-network-private.html
Relevancy 67.51%

So this is my home pc that I run a private network on with my brothers computer and mine.. No idea now after a ran a tweak program I have public and private setup.

How do I just keep the private setting on rather then the public trash to? Also My jump drives no longer work on my computer but work on his.

Please help thanks!!

A:Check this out.. Private and public network?

go to the Network and Sharing Center and change your network type to "Home".

There are three types

Home, Work, and Public

The firewall has different policies for each.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/21751-check-out-private-public-network.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I want my 3G phone to access my computer via the internet.

However I type the IP address of my computer which has IIS running. But this computer connects to the Internet through a NETGEAR Wireless Router.

I am not using the Local IP (192.168.0.1) to try and connect. I am using the ADSL IP number provided by my ISP. But it doesn't respond.

What am I doing wrong?

When I type http://localhost/ - I can get a webpage but not when I type in the correct external IP address I get the NETGEAR ROUTER CONFIGURATION LOGON Request

Relevancy 67.51%

I posted a reply on a similar topic but figured I'd start a new thread even though it seems this has been discussed a lot I have a verizon wireless cell access point I connect a w hp pc to it and set it as a home network I also have a nic in the same w hp box connected to a local g switch with a bunch of HP 7 Windows public network unidentified is other stuff on it an xp pc a ps a directtv dvr and a majicjack That's my home LAN I'm letting the w hp machine do the Windows 7 HP unidentified network is public dhcp as part of internet connection sharing which mostly works fine I had to hard set an ip address for the dvr There's even a registry entry that you can control the dhcp local subnet What I'm finding is that with windows home premium even though you can share an internet connection there is no way to change an independent home LAN network to be a quot home quot location Because w hp decides the home LAN is quot unidentified quot it won't let you change the type and it's stuck as a quot public quot network So none of your home computers can talk to the windows computer They can use the internet but that's about it There's a lot of fixes floating around but none seem to correctly fix the problem It's not a problem if you have w pro because you can edit the security settings for unidentified networks and let the admin change them But I can't even find the security registry entries in w hp Has anyone actually fixed this short of shelling over the money to upgrader to w pro Seems to me that w hp ought to be enough to run a home network Help

A:Windows 7 HP unidentified network is public

Update. This particular powerscript Change does change it to a "work" network. I still can't make any changes to it myself though. This fixes file sharing since a work network will permit this. From what I've read the fix has to be reapplied if the network gets recreated.

Sort of a "partial" solution but not exactly the one I was looking for.

I've got another machine on my network running xp pro and I'm sort of leaning towards making it my "ICS" machine to connect the cell access point to my local home lan. Then perhaps the xp hp box will see that the local lan connection has internet access and give me the option to set it as "home".

Also not my ideal solution as I'm assuming eventually I will have no xp machines and will be back revisiting this.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/210394-windows-7-hp-unidentified-network-public.html
Relevancy 67.51%

As the title says my network connection keeps switching between public and private despite my configuring it to a private network Private and Keeps Switching between Public Network Because of this my PS is unable to connect using laptop as media center to Network Keeps Switching between Private and Public stream data to PS We are using a DLINK DIR- at the moment I also have Linksys WRT GS that I could switch back to but I had problems with my laptop staying connected with that and we had the Dlink kicking around so we swapped to see if my laptop would stay connected with it and so far it has Or atleast when it switches to quot local only quot it reconnects right away Anyway my problem is that I'm trying to stream movies and music to my PS But whenever it flips to quot public quot I can no long stream the files How can I get it to stay set as a private network Does this make any sense Edit to add Playing around with things I've changed some firewall settings but now when my PS is turned off it changes back to a private network and as soon as I turn it on it flips to public

A:Network Keeps Switching between Private and Public

Hello Trypnotized,
Welcome to vista forums!

Does your PS3 make the network private? A few google searches will give you the answer you desire.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/267575-network-keeps-switching-between-private-public.html
Relevancy 67.51%

From within my W7 machine, have been trying to save a simple file to my network public folder and W7 is telling me I need permission. What am I overlooking.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/400879-cannot-save-my-network-public-folder.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello I have some questions about what access administrators and techs of public servers have to personal computers and what I can do to protect my laptop and the information on and tips need help security I public on network a with it when I m on a public server First I m going to tell you about I need tips and help with security on a public network an experience I had today and last week I was at the library with my mom s laptop trying to update Vista and install some software on it I ve been installing some basic security stuff like MSE and some utilities from piriform and adobe reader X and Flash installing firefox and some addons like AdBlock Plus NoScript and Firebug GreaseMonkey and a bulk downloader I want to I need tips and help with security on a public network try Downloadthemall And something that maybe in retrospect I shouldn t have gotten on a public server Flashgot And OpenOffice zip Quicktime All this has taken me days Last visit I had updates to install My mom s laptop has needed work for over a year I m pretty sure I didn t download any malware I ve used most of these programs on my home computer for years and they ve never given me any trouble The last two visits I could barely use the computer right after I logged on to the public server It was extremely laggy and unreponsive and my cpu usage meter was jumping into the red Today after much lag I lost control of the computer completely for about half a minute right after NoScript found an IP address on the page I was on and I tried to block it It seemed weird to me so I shut of the wifi with the button on the laptop and regained control after a minute A tiny little box came up right then that said quot Clear his quot because that s all it had room for I think it meant quot Clear history quot I need to state first that I don t know much about computers Windows Vista is new to me I use XP Pro at my home and up till now I ve only used my iPhone on public servers so at first I thought I was being hacked by another user on the server inside the library The IP address was I WOT scorecarded that and read that if it came from outside the server it was a spoofing attack So I called a librarian right away who contacted the tech The tech told her everything was fine and that I was to reboot I rebooted and still had lag so bad I couldn t surf I googled the IP with my phone and read a bunch of stuff about networking I didn t understand but I did figure out that the IP was internal and that it was the server IP and I googled whether I had remote desktop and I did and it was on so I disconnected reboot and shut it off After that things really seemed to improve but the tech put me on a limited connection I ve never had to deal with this stuff before and I have no clue My usual internet is satellite with an average kb s DL speed and a MB download limit I live out in the middle of nowhere so my usual defenses are MSE NoScript and Adblock I m connected on the laptop right now through my phone I had a terabyte key attached to my laptop with a bunch of files some movies about pictures when I was on the server earlier today and last week and none of it is password protected so there was lots for someone to see Can anybody tell me what actually happened here Was the tech or somebody else in the library going through my computer Did I fix the problem by turning off remote desktop or is there still stuff I need to do I also need some tips for keeping techs at an appropriate distance I do want them to know that I m sticking to the TOS when I m on their server but I don t want them looking at my kids baby pictures or reading my sorry attempts at writing fiction And if I ever do want to bulk download a bunch of sims meshes and recolors is there an appropriate speed and way to do it or should I be doing bulk downloads on a public server at all Thanks for reading all of this I m looking forward to a reply nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 32 Bit SP1 and McAfee Security Center. McAfee's firewall is turned on, and Windows Firewall is turned off, as Windows claims that it is not a good idea to run multiple firewalls at the same time. I am living in a college dorm. While in my dorm, I access the internet through the Ethernet jack in the wall. I have told Vista that the network is a public network. I have internet access, and when I view the Network, I do not see my computer. However, when I run Windows Media Player 11, my computer becomes visible as a "Media Device" with my computers name, even though I have Meida Sharing in WMP turned off. Is this a security risk? Is there some way to stop this from happening without denying WMP access to the internet so it can automaitcally get track information?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wmp-makes-me-visible-on-a-public-network.752686/
Relevancy 67.51%

My apartment came with free wireless for the or so residents which was a nice perk but poses some problems for me I need to figure out a nice secure way to share files between my mac and windows computers currently i have my linksys running dd-wrt set up as a bridge all my computers are connected to this box none connect via their own wireless cards and i have a linux server with huge shared folder accessible by the windows box I have not been able to get my mac to connect to this folder nor any other windows PCs the linux installation is quirky smb won t allow changes and since it s password protected and even i can t find a way in i assume it s safe I ll be adding a mac pro sometime in the new year and changing the linux box over to windows sounds odd i know but the linux box is only a year old while my windows box is almost years old now i need windows for a few graphics programs not available for mac i timed the opening of a RAW image file at minutes last week currently when i need to share files between my mac and windows computers i share a folder on the windows pc openly for a few minutes then shut it back off quite a hassle when trying to manage a digital photography workflow and for the worst news my public files network Sharing on landlord refuses to password protect the wireless i ve tried multiple times to illustrate how other people in the neighborhood can and do steal his wireless but he really Sharing files on public network just doesn t care want the hassle i ve given up on that battle and i don t need to become the IT guy for the Sharing files on public network building being blamed when something goes down paying for new parts fixing computers doling out passwords no thanks Before everyone tells me to get my own broadband let me also say that we get free cable tv too from the landlord so getting cable internet would be a large ordeal with the landlord not to mention paying an extra a month for what i m getting free and our apartment is oddly quot not serviceable by DSL at this time quot equipment list in case it matters -linksys wrt gl dd-wrt running as bridge netgear gigabit switch -homebrew PIII windows xp pro -homebrew Sempron windows xp pro or possibly vista if my software will run and i have to burn -imac quot intel -mac pro I like the way my linux share is just a nice network drive always available on my windows box and a similar alias for the share on the desktop of the macs would be just as nice Sorry for the incredible length just wondering what people think would be my best option to share files effectively and securely Thanks nbsp

A:Sharing files on public network

Pick up a wireless bridge to receive the wireless, and a broadband router. Connect the bridge to the WAN/Internet port of the router, and you'll be isolated from all the other folks on the wireless link.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-files-on-public-network.522760/
Relevancy 67.51%

It's a DSL line but the admin uses some kind of server setup to distribute the internet on a group of users, some sort of dial up connection VPN server i'm not sure, can someone give me a little idea about this kind of setup and whether it's a good idea to subscribe to such network to get cheap internet access? will the admin know all the websites i browse? can he block websites? is there away to get around blocked websites? will he know my monthly download traffic? is there a way to protect my privacy? will using TOR (onion routing) work with this kind of setup? thx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/getting-internet-from-a-public-network-server.1083020/
Relevancy 67.51%

My work and home networks of Vista, XP, and 7 are all happily sharing with each other, my question is about 7's public network configuration.

When I am on a public network I turn off file sharing including public folders, media, etc., enable 128 bit and user passwords, but then I find I am unable to log onto any secure remote sites unless I enable file and print sharing. What am I missing here, can someone explain what I am doing wrong?

A:Strange public network behavior?

Well you can keep the file sharing on, just turn off publick folders.

that should fix your problem.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/84824-strange-public-network-behavior.html
Relevancy 67.51%

The network has been set as public.  How to change it to be private?  I suppose I used to be able to right-click somewhere and simply change it over.  However I can't find such option.
I try to disconnect it and re-connect it again.  Doing so I hope that it will ask what type of network to be set to but it won't ask again.
This is only Windows 8.1 Home system, not Professional.  So I don't have secpol.msc at my disposal.  Perhaps somebody can tell me where the regedit data setting is.
I do not want to change only the advanced sharing settings.

A:How to change a network from public to private?

Hi healee, 
On Charm, 
Settings -> Change PC Settings -> Network -> Connections -> <Connection you want to change>
You can see Find devices and Content. 
If you turn on the toggle, it is changed to Private profile.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3818b688-cbc4-4e21-9ddb-e31238324a7c/how-to-change-a-network-from-public-to-private?forum=w8itproinstall
Relevancy 67.51%

I Public frustration Network Service am writing this from a public library Public Service Network frustration in NE Scotland where there are Public Service Network frustration a couple of terminals providing free access to all sorts of things including the Internet Very nice thank you although we do ultimately pay for it through local taxes of course And it is available to visitors on the same basis The system is run I think by a computer in a town and sprays out stuff to libraries and schools throughout the county mostly by some sort of broadband Except to four small village libraries including this one Public Service Network frustration where it uses dial-up speeds This seems to be about kb s at maximum My home computer does about kb s from Tiscali ISP consistently Unfortunately the library connection is of very variable speed It often struggles to match my home speed and it all too often is despairingly slower So slow that visitors from North America say it is the worst that they have experienced in their worldwide travels and an English visitor said that he had been to a public library in a small village half way up a rock in Italy and found a marvellous service And yet they also say that if it just did what little it is capable of say or even they would find it acceptable as they only want to do e-mails So my question is does anyone have experience of such systems that can say whether the speeds to the slow-connection sites can be made to go at their full capability by some tweaking by the operators perhaps by the slow-connection sites being given a higher priority than the broadband sites A visitor from Canada thought that it might ensure that the few slow connections would always be guaranteed to get the maximum squirted down the wire and that the broadband users would never know the difference Is this possible nbsp

A:Public Service Network frustration

If you are limited to dial up speed there is nothing you can do to make that different.

Can't make a purse out of a sows ear.

Unless the ISP supports modem teaming which is where you can use two phone lines and two modems to combine them together for increased bandwidth. Most ISP's don't support this because they lose two modems and two lines for one user.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/public-service-network-frustration.741218/
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi,

I'm also trying to change my public network to private.

"Hit Winkey + R to open Run prompt and type gpedit.msc" When I followthis advice I get an error message saying that gpedit.msc can't be found. I'm running win 8 on a Lenovo Think Pad. Thanks for any help.

Jan

A:trying to change my public network to private

Hello Jan, and welcome to Eight Forums.

The tutorial below can help show you more on how to toggle between having a public or private network in Windows 8.

Network Location - Set to Private or Public in Windows 8

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/23727-trying-change-my-public-network-private.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi I've got the following problem on my Lenovo ThinkPad SL running Windows Enterprise x When after connected problems public to network DNS running my PC in my home network everything works fine I can ping IPs on my network and i can ping their hostnames However when I have been logged DNS problems after connected to public network in into the wifi network at my school WPA -Enterprise and return home and logon to my home network I DNS problems after connected to public network am not able to ping or connect directly via Windows Explorer to the hostnames anymore Using the IP instead works fine I can only get rid of this problem if I do DNS problems after connected to public network a system restore Start Menu - gt Accesories - gt System Tools - gt System Restore using a restore point created before I logged into the school network This problem is reproducable I have tried allready - ipconfig renew - flushing dns cache - deleting the school network - disabling IPv on all network adapters - changing the network node type to quot Hybrid quot via registry - seems the school network changes this setting I seriously doubt that this problem has something to do with either my router or the other hosts in my network This is the ipconfig all output at the time the problem occurs Code Windows IP Configuration Host Name sl Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Peer-Peer IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R WiFi Link BGN Physical Address - -C - -D - E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c a e f a Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Donnerstag Dezember Lease Expires Freitag Dezember Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - -D - - -EB- - -AD- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address -EB- - -AD- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap E B ABE-DC D- C -A BD- ECAB EA DD Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap DAD -A E - - BB-AEBE FCBD Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap BEBDF - BA - C- CC -D DE Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap EC DDBF - - CBB- C - E A D A Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Please help me Thank you all Regards Jan

A:DNS problems after connected to public network

those dns servers are from public Ip's where your DHCP/DG are internals... are those set statically?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/128384-dns-problems-after-connected-public-network.html
Relevancy 67.51%

is there anyway to know whether your current wired network is public or home without going into control panel or nework and sharing.

Like mouse over the network icon on the taskbar it will show its public or home?

Is there any way to know WITHOUT going to any place that allows you to change setting?

I don't want to click or change any setting by accident

A:is there anyway to know whether your current network is public or home

Can i ask why?

You could create a shortcut on your desktop so its only one click away

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/338452-there-anyway-know-whether-your-current-network-public-home.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Let s say I have a specific area where I need to have a functioning laptop but I don t want it to have access to the internet This is an urban area where there are several free public wifi networks available In other places the computer should have normal access to wifi networks The laptop is a sony viao running windows I figured out a to block it possible Is public wifi network? how to use the netsh command line utility to filter these unsecured networks from the list of available Is it possible to block a public wifi network? networks That doesn t Is it possible to block a public wifi network? really solve the problem though because it s easy to run netsh again and remove that filter although maybe the utility has some other capabilities I m not aware of I m striking out trying to figure out a way to do this although you d think it would be something that parents or corporate IT people would want now that free wifi is proliferating all over the place There has to be some way to block the networks or require a password for access Thoughts nbsp

Relevancy 67.51%

hey i have a little problen here i need to switch from public network to home and i cant seen to be able to due need help please

A:switch from public network to home

Hello Nancy, and welcome to Seven Forums.

The tutorial below can help show you how to.

Network Location - Set as Home, Work, or Public Network

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/160703-switch-public-network-home.html
Relevancy 67.51%

I own a restaurant and currently have a DSL connection that is networked for my POS system and internal computers running Win XP. DSL line comes into a 2-Wire wireless router which is connected to a couple of hubs for wired network. Currently, everything works including wireless access. I would like to be able to offer both wired and wireless access to customers but want to keep them out of my internal network. What is the best way to do this? Do I need additional hardware? Do I need additional software? Or is this just a router setup issue? Is there somewhere on the web where I can get educated on this subject?

Thanks everyone for any insight you can share.

Relevancy 67.51%

How many setup methods are there: Host pc share internet to both local connections at the same time?

Let's imagine I have 3 pc's running public network.

1x Host pc connects to internet through local connection 0, and share internet only to other pc's through
local connection 1, and local connection 2, ect.

2x client pc (to be selectively internet enabled on the host connection)

I got windows 7 32bit on all pc's, just thought I'd ask, did not realize there could be many possible setup methods.

A:Public Network share help & info

You will want to use ICS

Unless you have 3 NIC's on your PC then you will have to purchase a switch.

This is where i will recommend that you purchase a router then connect all the PC's to the router.
(with a router all 3 pcs will have a private address and be able to communicate easily.)

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/266807-public-network-share-help-info.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi,
I use Win 7 OS 64 bit on Dell Laptop 6420 model.

Under advanced sharing settings I want to permanently "Turn Off Network Discovery" both in Home/work and Public profiles.

The problem is that, everytime I reboot my Laptop the setting get changed to "Turn On Network Discovery"in all profiles.

How do I ensure that these settings are Turned off permanently, unless off-course I want to turn them on.

Thanks.

A:Network Sharing--Home and Public

A. Click Start, type services.msc and hit enter.

B. From the list of services, double click on "Function Discovery Provider Host" service, change the startup type to disabled and stop the service which will turn off the service.

Or if it's set to Automatic change it to Manual which should keep it from turning back on Automatically.

Changing the service to Manual should keep it from turning back on, it may have been set to Automatic.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/220272-network-sharing-home-public.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hi
Whut th heck is going on?
Since xp the same ol' same ol'. Why after trouble shooting and getting access to my network folders does windows ALWAYS revert back to inaccessibility? You get it working for a short time and then it goes back to not being able to transfer simple files. This has been driving me nuts for years.

Two os's win7 64 to and from 32bit could transfer files for about a week.
AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH

A:Public folders on network become inaccessable.

are you really running the RC version of win7????
maybe a 'real' version would help....anyway...here is a link to a win7 networking tutorial
Windows 7: Understanding Network Administration and Configuration

or READ the forum tutorial(s) about homegroups

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/237944-public-folders-network-become-inaccessable.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello this is my first time posting a thread on a forum site but here we go lol I recently upgraded to windows and everything was working perfect very impressed overall I ip help! with public invalid network unidentified please have cable internet through comcast I had my modem plugged into a wireless router then my desktop was directly connected to the router and internet was working fine please help! unidentified public network with invalid ip I decided to unplug my router because my roommate moved out so no more need of a wireless adapter please help! unidentified public network with invalid ip however since removing the please help! unidentified public network with invalid ip wireless router I have no more internet connection When I open up network and sharing it says I am connected to an unidentified public network but I have no connection I called comcast they said everything looked good on their end All the lights are on on the modem and all connections are secure I tried running all the networking wizards and they all say windows could not determine the problem however one window said I had an invalid ip address And another window said my modem or other connecting device has had an error how can this be when everything was working fine until the router was unplugged Please help

A:please help! unidentified public network with invalid ip

Did you power cycle the modem. Check your internet settings in windows Local Area Connections properties and make sure IPv4 is set to obtain IP address automatically. Go to cmd and type ipconfig /all a post it here too.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/87725-please-help-unidentified-public-network-invalid-ip.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Note: This information is intended for a network administrator.  If you are not your network's administrator, notify the administrator that you received this information, which has been recorded in the file C:\Windows\debug\dcdiag.txt.

An error occurred when DNS was queried for the service location (SRV) resource record used to locate an Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for domain "Domain99.Local".

The error was: "An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host."
(error code 0x00002746 WSAECONNRESET)

The query was for the SRV record for _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.Domain99.Local

i am getting the above error while accessing server domain. Please any help will be much appreciated

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5623fa48-86b2-443d-a15d-d0f0ce9d93f0/local-domain-problem?forum=w7itpronetworking