Windows Support Forum

Home network, looking for server to share files between computers.

Q: Home network, looking for server to share files between computers.

I'm thinking something similar to ftp, have no idea what options there are.

Have 3 computers want to network between both in a more convenient manner than msn.

Hopefully can get some recomendations to minimise trauling time. Both computers are running windows XP and are connected through a multi-port router.

Thanks for any input.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Home network, looking for server to share files between computers.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Home network, looking for server to share files between computers.

You should be able to do this simply WITHOUT a server. All you have to do to share files, is use windows file sharing. Let me paint a picture for you...say you have your 3 computers. One is named Suzy, one is Steve, and one is Bill. Once file sharing is enabled (which you can do just by sharing a file), you should be able to do something similar to this. Say your on the computer Bill, and you want to grab some files from the shared folder on Suzy. Open up my computer, and in the address bar (Where is says your location) type in \\Suzy. This will give you access to the files and printers on that computer. BTW if you dont know how to rename a computer, right click on the my computer icon and select properties. Once the system tool comes up, click on computer name and change if necessary. Good luck and I hope this helps make things cheaper than buying a crappy old server lol.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-looking-for-server-to-share-files-between-computers.71651/
Relevancy 91.16%

Hello all I'm a noob so please bear with me I'm trying to share network computers [SOLVED] between share same home two Cannot on files on my two home computers They are on the same wifi network and I've tried really hard to go through the forums and make sure everything is set up right Sharing is turned on the computers are pinging each other they are even seeing each other in [SOLVED] Cannot share between two home computers on same network the Network and Sharing Center When i try to access the files on one computer it gives me an [SOLVED] Cannot share between two home computers on same network error saying access denied error code x When I try to access files from that computer from my [SOLVED] Cannot share between two home computers on same network other computer it asks me for a user name and password The problem with that is that I never put in any passwords on that computer There's a password on the other one but when I type it in it still doesn't let me in I hope that wasn't too confusing I hope someone can at least help me find out what that password prompt is or something that will point me in the right direction Thanks guys

A:[SOLVED] Cannot share between two home computers on same network

Okay everyone, I tried a couple of other things before it finally hit me that I didn't unclick enable password protected sharing on my other computer. I have it working now. Sorry for the post. I appreciate those who read my convoluted question, though. Thanks!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/solved-cannot-share-between-two-home-computers-on-same-network-519157.html
Relevancy 90.3%

I had local file sharing when my home network consisted of XP and Win computers I just right clicked on folders I wanted to share in Windows Explorer and designated them as shared Simple and worked well I used no sign-ins of users and the user defaulted to Administrator Now I have upgraded two computers to Windows share only files home computers local on How to one wired ethernet and one laptop wired and wireless and added one How to share files only on local home computers new Windows laptop that is wireless only Windows has created a default user now with a sign-in but no password I need to move gigabites of data from computer to computer and need to read write and delete files from other computers on my local network My first attempt was to create a Homegroup and then join it with the other two computers It essentially works but the performance on transferring files on the wireless computer is terribly slow - unusable It also seems to kill my internet speed I now have all computers withdrawn from the Homegroup although it seems to have kept the Homegroup and keeps prompting me to join it Can't find any way to kill it My second attempt was to use the File Sharing I have two issues with that First it seems the intent is to allow anyone on the internet to share the file and that is the last thing I want it to do It won't seem to let me name other users on the home network and add them And even when I include Everyone as a share I can't access the folders with other computers On one I get an error message saying I have no permissions On another I get a permissions sign in screen but doesn't let me sign in Any ideas what is going on here I would most like to just use simple file sharing and let named users from the other computers share files with no permissions I have a feeling something is asking for sharing permission somewhere possibly from the Homegroup setup that still seems to be there Help needed

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/57975-how-share-files-only-local-home-computers.html
Relevancy 82.56%

I have two computers are connected to each other with a cross over cable.

One uses windows xp pro(computer A) and the other windows xp media center 2005(computer B)
Computer A can share files and take files from computer B, but computer B can't.

In fact if you go to add a network place in computer B, It only displays its shared folders, I can't add any from computer A, it says that it is not accessible that I don't have network permission to use the resource network and told me to contact this server to find out if I have access permission.

I pinged computer A, and it seems to recieve the file, I checked the lan settings, and it is not locked. Computer A has no firewall, but Computer B has, but it is Computer B having a problem to connect to A.

what should I do?

A:can't share files in my home network

How to connect to another PC on the network

Welcome to TechSpot...

Go into the control panel and switch the view to classic view
Click on System Icon
Click on Computer Name
Give your PC a Name for A-ultraject1 also create a workgroup name ultrajetnet

Give your PC a Name for B-ultraject2 also create a workgroup name ultrajetnet

Now it gets tricky here... You need to look for Administration Tools in the control panel Click on that then click on Local Security Policy
Click on Local Policies
Click on Security Options

Now to your far right you'll see a list of stuff
Scroll down the list for:

Network access: Sharing and security model for local accounts: Guest
Change the Guest to Classic

Now scroll down a bit too
Network security: LAN Manager authentication level: change the default
to: Send NTLM response.

Now go back to the start button
click on start
then on run
type: services.msc

scroll down the list to the far right for
Computer Browse - Make sure this is set to Auto and is enabled
Network Connections - Make sure this is set to Auto and is enabled

Reboot both PCs down.. If you have problem still get a small switch 5-port type and connect both PCs to it. Better than using the crossover cable. Or you can get yourself a router and let that device do the work. But you still need to have the above set in place...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-share-files-in-my-home-network.88531/
Relevancy 81.7%

Hi,

I've tried searching over the internet how to network my Windows 2000 pro computer with my xp home laptop, but somehow none of the sites are helping me.

If someone is reading this and knows what I'm talking about, a response would be greatly appreciated..

What I have configured is that both computers have unique names and they are in the same workgroup. Both of these computers have a folder shared, however none are visible in Network Neighborhood.

I have Norton Firewall on both computers configured to "trust" each other's IP address. I also "permited" the Windows File Sharing to only accept the IP address within the range I specified.

Therefore, I do not know what else I would have to do to get this sharing working.

Thanks,

Note: I'll be subscribing to this thread, so I will be responding quicker.

A:How to network Win2k Pro & XP home to share files

What happens when you shut down the firewall. Are the files visable?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/how-to-network-win2k-pro-and-xp-home-to-share-files-78867.html
Relevancy 81.7%

help please. I have 2 desktops and a laptop on a home network 2xXP machines and 1xVista.My problem is on the vista machine, I have 2 folders already shared on this machine but I want to add another but after clicking "share" and entering share wizard when clicking apply I get a pop up box saying "folder cannot be shared", if I turn off sharing wizard when I then click share, the share box is greyed out, if I try thru advanced option I get a popup box saying "an error occured trying to share this folder..incorrect function"

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/cannot-share-files-folders-on-home-network-418115.html
Relevancy 80.41%

I've got a LAN in my home/office with 5 machines now running Win 10 and I've not been able to transfer files between them due to "permission problems". These were all running Win 7 and sharing files with no problems but now I'm blocked. I've made every "advanced" change I can think of to networking and sharing screens and to firewall screens. The machines can see each other in File Explorer but "access denied" on transferring anything but vanilla homegroup folders. Anybody got some insights on "permissions" to share? I sure need help. Many thanks!

A:"Permissions" problems: can't share files on home LAN computers

When you define your shares, add the Everyone account with whatever access level you want. Read, Read\Execute or Full Control then Share it.

For instance, to make the C: drive available to other network computers:

Add Everyone:

Open This PC
Right click on C: and select Properties
Click on the Security tab
Click the Edit button under Group or user names box
Click Add
In the Enter object names to select box, type everyone then click Check Names.
You should see Everyone
Click OKSelect Everyone then check the Permissions for Everyone boxes in the Allow column that you want to allow
Click OK and OK.

Share drive or folder:

Click on the Sharing tab
Click on Advanced Sharing
Click share this folder
Give the share a name. I use names like Lenovo_C, Toshiba_C or HP_C, something that makes it easy for me to know what shares I'm looking at when viewing over the network.

Turn off password protected sharing:

Right click on Network and select Properties.
Click on Change advanced sharing settings at left.
Click the down arrow next to All Networks at the bottom.
Select Turn off password protected sharing.
Click the Save changes button.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/27158-permissions-problems-cant-share-files-home-lan-computers.html
Relevancy 79.98%

HiHave a server linked to four computers and a laptop for a business and can't seem to access shared files on server from other computers as it keeps asking for username and password to access it. Have tried to change from workgroup to domain that the server is on so to create username and password but error message keeps coming up 'a domain controller for the domain ata.local could not be contacted or if just use ata as domain it does not accept any username or password. Also have tried suggestions in other forums such as simple sharing and creating an account on other pc's with same username and password as server. All of the systems are windows xp and the server is windows standard fe. Would really appreciate any helpThanksHarry

A:can't access shared files on server from network computers

Hello bighaz,

Are you running a Domain Controller(DC) for your domain? If not, go to 1, if you are go to 2.

1)
If you are not running a domain controller then the user credentials will not be present on every machine thus the error. If all users access the same files then you could create a single generic account on the file server and the users will need to use these credentials to access it. If the users need restricted access to certain files and folders you would need to create multiple accounts on the file server.
Once done ensure that all machines are in the same 'workgroup' default name is WORKGROUP and you should then be able to have access.

2)
If you are running a DC you will need to ensure that all machines are members of the domain and that they know of the IP address of the DC(this will either be set by DHCP if you are running a DHCP server or if all machines have static IP's this will need to be set on each machine. You will then need to add the user accounts to the ACL for the file share they require access to. Remember you may need to add the user to both the share permissions and NTFS permissions.

If the above is still not working can you please confirm that you can ping the file server and also see if you can access file shares on any of the other PC's.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-access-shared-files-on-server-from-network-computers.991581/
Relevancy 79.98%

I have recently bought a new router old one had the wireless antenna loose and not always making connection So I had a working network setup with all the devices that I am about to describe before the new router Computers on network - a desktop Win wired connection - a desktop Ubuntu linux wired connection - a laptop Win Starter wired and wireless connections - a laptop Win Vista wired and wireless connections When all devices are connected with wired connections - all devices connect to the internet fine - all devices including the Linux machine can share files When the two laptops are connected via wireless connections - all devices connect to the internet fine - only the desktop wired machines can share files the laptops wireless cannot see any other devices in their network While I was setting up the new router I did however change the wireless SSID to something else but I left the WORKGROUP the same on all devices I have called the router s tech support and I think they either did not understand the issue or that I have something configured improperly since they tried to pass me off to paid support for a device that I just bought last month Thoughts suggestions tips nbsp

A:Solved: Wireless devices cannot share files on home network

Many routers now have some kind of "wireless isolation" feature. When enabled it prevents wireless devices from "seeing" wired devices, and maybe even prevents "seeing" other wireless devices. Browse the user guide or the router's configuration pages for any hint of a feature like this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wireless-devices-cannot-share-files-on-home-network.1102902/
Relevancy 79.55%

I have 5 computers on my home network..4 PC's and 1 Mac. I want to share video files between the computers and when I try I get the screen that wants my user name and password. Trouble is, I don't know which ones they mean. I know I'm a noob here but others setup my main computer and I had an extended health issue And I can't remember the user name or password. Is it the network password? I have that but I have tried every user name I can think of and I can't get it to work. Thanks in advance!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-files-with-different-computers-on-home-network.1163282/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi All
i search other threads but no joy. My flatmate has a server with files on it he shares with others in the house. It is a wireless connection. My laptop detects the wireless network no problem and i connect to the internet and get my email fine. It is password protected but i have that saved to speed connection.

The issue is i cannot see his computter - others connect straight away when they type the server name - and they can see it on windows explorer ok as well. to connect he tells me just type \\scribe to get to it from windows explorer address tool bar( no the real name BTW - by way of example )

i saw in another thread to haev windows firewall / exceptions file share ticked - which it is by default

any clues would be gratefully received.i am running XP2

thanks Andy

Relevancy 74.39%

My wife and I need to work on the same file on two different computers at home.  She has Windows 10 and I have Windows 7.  Step by step, how do we do that, please.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/3c0c1a09-5601-437e-87e1-debf9d79746c/i-want-to-share-a-file-on-two-different-computers-at-my-home?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 73.53%

My wife has win on her machine and I have just ordered a PC with win but I also have older systems with win XP home The problem is that even though I went in and manually put the workgroup name in which always on upLAN file computers share to set my home Need allowed file sharing under XP The win machine only allows Need to set upLAN file share on my home computers files to be pushed or pulled from it to the XP machine I can t originate file transfer to or from while sitting at my XP machine Win wanted me to set up a home group of some kind but when I tried its setup for that it could not see the XP machine to include it in the group So do I need a third party program to allow way file sharing of these computers or is there a way to do this with the tools already available in windows I don t need anything fancy I just want to be able to use windows explorer to drag and drop files from one computer to the other from any folders which I have designated to be shared folders All help appreciated Thx nbsp

A:Need to set upLAN file share on my home computers

to share on W7 with an XP computer, the XP computers need username & a password to be able to connect to W7 via file sharing

it is quite tricky & complicated but this shows the steps
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-7/share-files-and-printers-between-windows-7-and-xp/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-to-set-uplan-file-share-on-my-home-computers.1114194/
Relevancy 73.1%

With XP this was rather simple and it worked With Windows that's not the case I've tried different routers I have Windows x Pro on my desktop and Windows Home Premium on my HP Laptop I want to share my videos and watch pics on between a share you Question: computers? Basic home folder do How my laptop Seems like a rather basic question right However my searches online left me frustrated It's a rather basic and simple question yet I can't any illustrations Basic Question: How do you share a folder between home computers? or guides on how to do so I've tried the right click thing nothing I was able to get as far as the annoying prompt asking me for a User and password on my Laptop but I didn't create one so why is it asking for one Obviously it didn't work I came across the option to map the folder but I dont know where that was I am not sure if that has any benefits compared to sharing a folder I was hoping for a sticky on how to share your drive or folders on a home network but I didn't Basic Question: How do you share a folder between home computers? see one here so I am off to creating a new thread

A:Basic Question: How do you share a folder between home computers?

hi ...! i have shared folder in win7 there is no problem right click on the folder (share with) and i selected the specific peoples because i have more than two computers so i selected (Everyone) and there was no problem ........Good luck

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/315436-basic-question-how-do-you-share-folder-between-home-computers.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Topic..
What is the best way to share files between 2 computers connected via adsl router? (no wifi, just cable)

Pls dont tell me usb key or something like that. Some file like HDD image are pretty huge therefor what method should I bestly use?

Also any hints how to set such thing up would be nice.
thanks.

A:Best way to share files between 2 computers

Just configure file sharing.

This TCP/IP Home Networking and File Sharing Tutorial should get you started.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/best-way-to-share-files-between-2-computers.838890/
Relevancy 71.81%

Here's the deal: yesterday I got a wireless router and one wireless usb adapter. In one room is my main computer hard-wired to the router (SMC wireless cable modem gateway); the other computer is using the usb wireless adapter. Pretty simple. Works just fine. I've done all the instructions to setup to be able to access files from either computer but it doesn't work. How can I share files with the other computer? Thanks.

Relevancy 71.81%

Hi Everyone,

I have a Laptop(winxp sp2) and my PC running the same OS.

I connect to the internet via USB port on the Laptop and run my PC via the extra Ethernet port on my "Voyager 205" B/Band modem/ Router. Is it now possible to share files between these 2 computers? or have i got it all wrong. I have not yet set up any shared network settings. Thanks for all views and replies in advance.

Relevancy 71.81%

I'm wondering if there's a way to share certain resources over a network to specific computers only. Wired and wireless, without a domain controller.

A:Is there a way to only share folders with certain computers on the network?

Welcome
This may help. It is good for Vista and Seven.
Permissions - Allow or Deny Users and Groups - Windows 7 Forums
Permissions for user on networked machine
For network shareing
Network Discovery - Turn On or Off

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/291271-there-way-only-share-folders-certain-computers-network.html
Relevancy 71.81%

Hi guys,
I have two computers on a large desk side by side. Both are running Windows 8.1
I have a drive on computer A which I want to be able to access on computer B.

I have gone into advanced sharing for the drive and enabled sharing.
However, when I go to map the drive on computer B, I get an error that I don't have permission to access that drive.

What am i missing here? Neither computers are using logins/passwords for the admin user account.

help!

A:Share drive between two computers on the same network

Couple of places you want to check:

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/47714-share-drive-between-two-computers-same-network.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I had 2 Win 7 computers that shared files successfully without using a homegroup and with Bitdefender Internet Security 2016 installed. Then both of these machines were upgraded to Windows 10 and they can no longer share files. I get a message that one machine is denying access to the other.

I tried using a homegroup on the Win 10 machines. I was easily able to create a homegroup on one machine but, when trying to join it on the other machine, after entering the password, I get "Windows no longer detects a homegroup on this network."

I have tried disabling Bitdefender and also upgrading Bitdefender to 2017 and neither helps.
The Peer Networking Grouping and HomeGroup Provider services are running on both machines.
Ivp6 is enabled on both machines.

I need to be able to share files either using or not using a homegroup.

Many thanks for any help!

A:Cannot share files between 2 Windows 10 computers

Have you enabled the file-sharing attributes on both PC's?

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/68930-cannot-share-files-between-2-windows-10-computers.html
Relevancy 71.38%

I have a desktop which is connected to the router and modem. I have a laptop that uses wireless. How do you connect the two so I can share files with one another? I tried to set up a network connection and didn't get it to work. Confused..

Thanks!

A:How to connect two computers together to share files?

http://www.geekgirls.com/windowsxp_home_network.htm

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-connect-two-computers-together-to-share-files.104653/
Relevancy 71.38%

hello again!

I'm looking for a good and easy way to share files and folders over the internet. i am not talking about dropbox and so on... i want it to be like windows' network sharing, select computer->browse folders->upload/download.
this seems to be extremely hard to do!

been trying to make SW VPN work but it's just to much of a fuss, my router either does not support it or it just wont open the ports/protocols.

I have also tried ftp, this works but it requires a client and a server at both ends which is not acceptable and to much work to set up.

please guys! any good ideas!?

A:share files via internet between 2 or more computers

How about Logmein?--described briefly. Then, go here.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/17188-share-files-via-internet-between-2-more-computers.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Hey guys,
I need help with my problem. I have 2 computers at home. One is a laptop and the second one is a normal PC. Both of them are connected ia WI-FI to a router which is connected to another router which is outside and connected to WIFI source a few km away ... Anyway, I have a question. I want to share files bewteen these two computers. Each of them have IP which was added to them by the router. When I try to ping the router I do not a problem but when I try to ping 1 computer 192.168.0.153 from the other computer 192.168.0.154 it says: destination host unreachable. I want to create a homegroup but when I create one the other pc just does not see it. Can you help me to solve this? thanks!

A:How do I share files between 2 computers via wireless

Quote: Originally Posted by Bazy

Hey guys,
I need help with my problem. I have 2 computers at home. One is a laptop and the second one is a normal PC. Both of them are connected ia WI-FI to a router which is connected to another router which is outside and connected to WIFI source a few km away ... Anyway, I have a question. I want to share files bewteen these two computers. Each of them have IP which was added to them by the router. When I try to ping the router I do not a problem but when I try to ping 1 computer 192.168.0.153 from the other computer 192.168.0.154 it says: destination host unreachable. I want to create a homegroup but when I create one the other pc just does not see it. Can you help me to solve this? thanks!

This probably has to do with the network arrangement which sounds rather unusual with the signal being relayed by another router from miles away.

If your wifi router is the second one in this network then you need to disable DHCP and assign an IP in the subnet range of the other router. I don't know anything about the first router so I can't really give exact directions here.

For starters, you need to make sure that both machines are using the same default gateway or you won't be able to network those machines, the default gateway for both machines should be something like 192.168.0.1

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/258012-how-do-i-share-files-between-2-computers-via-wireless.html
Relevancy 71.38%

Computer 1: Windows 10 Desktop
Computer 2: Windows 10 Laptop

On both machines, I have:

Turn on network discovery.
Turn on file and printer sharing.
(same for Guest/Public)
Allow Windows manage homegroup connections.

Turn on sharing so anyone with network access can read and write files in the Public folders.
Turn off password protected sharing

I can see Computer 1 and 2 under Network on both machines.

I have a folder shared on both computers.

I've managed to get Computer 2 to see shared folders on Computer 1.

However, I cannot seem to get Computer 1 to see shared folders on Computer 2.

When I click on the Domain name of the Laptop under Network, it requests Network Credentials.

Entering the Username/Password of either machine does not work.

I'm out of ideas.

Anyone?

TIA

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/32524-unable-share-files-between-2-win-10-computers.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi I have had this Network setup at my home for a while There is one desktop which has Windows XP Professional we'll call this XPA antivirus is MSE connected to the router Unable XP Share computers to to connect Network in through Unable to connect to XP computers in Network Share an ethernet port and three Unable to connect to XP computers in Network Share laptops one with XP Media Center we'll call this XPB antivirus is McAfee configured to share files Unable to connect to XP computers in Network Share and printers and two with Professional and Home Premium one is my own laptop -A antivirus is MSE and other is -B antivirus is McAfee configured to share files and printers A few months ago every computer was able to see each other easily through their names and were able to share files and printers easily even with the two laptops having password protection All of them were in the same Workgroup called WORKGROUP and the two laptops were in the same Homegroup sharing files through passwords Now I came back home from college and oddly find that my laptop which is -A Professional with MSE can't connect either XP computers when I type their name coming up with the error code x The network path was not found I can only connect when I type in their IP address It's the same when I try to connect from the XP computers to my laptop I can easily connect to -B though and -B can easily connect to my laptop XPA and XPB and vice versa I have no idea why this is happening now since I haven't really fiddled around with the settings in college other than installing some program that will let me connect to the university network Don't know if this changes much but I have a dual boot set up on my laptop with XP being the second OS and it can easily connect to the other three computers and the other three computers can easily connect to it I know that this may not be a big deal since I can still share through IP addresses but it does get annoying when the IP address for the desktop with XP changes since it has the main printer shared and I have to reinstall it if it changes Could a random reason be due to me using Windows Anytime Upgrade to upgrade my laptop from Home Premium to Professional which somehow changed some firewall port settings

A:Unable to connect to XP computers in Network Share

Disable the firewall temporarily as a test, see if it makes a difference.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/198068-unable-connect-xp-computers-network-share.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Don t know 2 share need to modem & assistance DSL network computers if this is even possible but assume it can be done I ve had two computers networked at home for a while both WinXP Home using a crossover cable between the two and a couple of Netgear cards I was using dial-up modem and this setup allowed both computers to share the single dialup connection so could both be on-line simultaneously on dialup modem as well as swap files need assistance to network 2 computers & share DSL modem and share the single need assistance to network 2 computers & share DSL modem slave printer on the primary computer Well I ve finally got DSL which is sure nice but I can t seem to get everything the way I want it I installed a second network card and connected the DSL modem and I ve got the DSL functioning just fine However I can t seem to get the two computers talking to each other no matter what I do In fact when I try to use the XP network setup wizard it seems to destroy my network settings for the DSL modem I get errors from the crossover network card saying something like quot can t resolve IP address quot or something similar Is it possible to have network card connected to the DSL modem to get out to the internet and a nd card connected via crossover cable to a nd computer and allow internet connection sharing printer sharing file sharing etc Can someone tell me how to proceed I am not an experienced computer person but have some small experience in setting up my original home network stuff Thanks in advance for any help stampede nbsp

Relevancy 70.95%

Right simple set up..2 computers in the house, one currently with broadband, hence now!
I want both of them to be connected to broadband and I know that Ill obviously have to upgrade my service with my provider.
This will require a router, but one thing, will I need to network the computers. I dont want to do this at all, Id prefer having 2 completely separate pcs like it is now.
Thanks for any help!

A:To share an internet connection, do I have to network the computers?

You can either upgrade your connection e.g. get a separate connection from your ISP or network your computers. No need to do both.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/to-share-an-internet-connection-do-i-have-to-network-the-computers.26582/
Relevancy 70.95%

Have a Vista and Windows 8.1 computer on home network (Workgroup). I want to be able to have access to each others "Public Folder." When I try to open the other computer via network, I get a prompt asking for a password (credentials). Neither computer uses a password. Is there a way around this?

Thank you.

A:Credentials needed to share network computers

For both PC's:
Control Panel-> Network and Sharing Center->Change advanced sharing settings

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/52148-credentials-needed-share-network-computers.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hello all Due to horrible noise from my desktop computer cannot put the case on because of an attached hard drive enclosure which has to connect home for server file home Create computers! to power adapters i ve decided to designate this Create home file server for home computers! desktop computer with its attached hard drives to become Create home file server for home computers! my home file server This home file server will be moved downstairs into the storage room so I won t have to hear it and I would like to use it wirelessly attach a usb wireless adapter This one runs Windows XP SP Here s my setup questions that I need advice info on the main points are home computer access ability amp restrictions setup email stored on network drive and backup solutions Once I set the computer downstairs and have it connected to my wireless router how do I get all my other computers to recognize it amp be able to read it see list of computers and OSs below Can I have all computers OSs have full write access to the home file server ONLY if the correct password is supplied Similarily can I DENY even read-only access to certain users or due to lack of password pr n not to be shared with all a at the same time can all users atleast have access to read-only access to certain directories ie music directory available to all in house Can the above be done with my computers if the home file server remains as Windows XP SP a and can above be accessed by my other computers to read write that are on different operating systems like Ubuntu and Windows Vista My main computer I will use is my laptop which has a dual boot of ubuntu and windows vista i want to be able to be free to roam in my house and access files freely on the home server no problem right a With this laptop can I have e-mail stored on home file server ie install thunderbird email application and have all the archive amp live email files stored on network drive on home file server also on the hard drives of the home file server how should i back things up there are gb hard drives and one gb hard drive with music videos and everything i ll have nearly full gb taken up right now all i ve done is a simple copy of one drive to another is there a better easy to setup way for a backup solution if it can be done how do i do it if the above cannot be done and if i should change Operating systems on the home file server what do i change and how do I do it Computer identification computer -home file server windows xp sp has bay hard drive enclosure attached therefore cannot close tower case computer -main laptop windows vista amp ubuntu linux computer -roommates desktop windows xp sp thank you in advance any advice would be appreciated nbsp

A:Create home file server for home computers!

ineedacookie said:

Hello all!

Due to horrible noise from my desktop computer (cannot put the case on because of an attached hard drive enclosure which has to connect to power adapters), i've decided to designate this desktop computer with its attached hard drives to become my home file server!

I can't fathom why you can't put the computer's case on.

This home file server will be moved downstairs into the storage room so I won't have to hear it and I would like to use it wirelessly (attach a usb wireless adapter). This one runs Windows XP SP 3.

Having your server connected wirelessly is a lousy idea performance wise. Moving on...

Here's my setup questions that I need advice/info on (the main points are home computer access ability & restrictions, setup email stored on network drive, and backup solutions):

1) Once I set the computer downstairs and have it connected to my wireless router...how do I get all my other computers to recognize it, & be able to read it? (see list of computers and OSs below)

You can map it as a network drive on each computer. (Use SAMBA on Linux.)
2) Can I have all computers/OSs have full write access to the home file server ONLY if the correct password is supplied?

3) Similarily, can I DENY even read-only access to certain users or due to lack of password?
3a) at the same time can all users atleast have access to read-only access to certain directories (ie music directory available to all in house)?

Yes, but the extent depends on the version of Windows running on those PCs (you don't specify home/pro or the plethora of Vista versions)
4) Can the above be done with my computers if the home file server remains as Windows XP SP3?
4a) ...and can above be accessed by my other computers to read/write that are on different operating systems like Ubuntu and Windows Vista?

Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it. I would switch to a server OS. Ubuntu Server is fine.
5) My main computer I will use is my laptop which has a dual boot of ubuntu and windows vista. i want to be able to be free to roam in my house and access files freely on the home server. no problem, right?
5a) With this laptop can I have e-mail stored on home file server (ie install thunderbird email application and have all the archive & live email files stored on network drive on home file server)?

Should be fine.
6) also on the hard drives of the home file server, how should i back things up? there are 3 500gb hard drives, and one 40gb hard drive. with music, videos and everything i'll have nearly full 450gb taken up. right now all i've done is a simple copy of one drive to another. is there a better, easy to setup way for a backup solution?

6) if it can be done, how do i do it?

Well, outside of automating it, it sounds fine. Make sure to have at least 2 backups of important stuff. CD/DVDs are good too for the monthly backups.

7) if the above cannot be done and if i should change Operating systems on the home file server, what do i change and how do I do it?

I'd suggest a server OS. Again, Ubuntu is fine.
However, in all seriousness, you'd probably be better off with a NAS. The D-Link DNS 321 would be perfect for you. Plus, it uses a heck of a lot less power.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/create-home-file-server-for-home-computers.791909/
Relevancy 70.52%

as above, how do you get media player to allow access/share files across home wireless network. Also how do you tell what version of media player you have? any help appreciated cheers

A:How to share files in media player between computers?

Hi,

Personally, I don't use file sharing in wireless connection. But have a look on this site:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq/sharing.mspx

Note, in firewall settings you should allow sharing between computers.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?55076-How-to-share-files-in-media-player-between-computers
Relevancy 69.66%

HI am i have two computers, computer A running windows 7 pro and computer B running windows 7 ultimate,both computers are hooked to a switch.The network printers are also connected to the switch..internet cable plugged on the switch.
i have assigned the computers and printers with static IP addresses but now that i got internet i don't know what step to take to maintain my Homegroup and be able to share files and connect the two computers to the internet,the last time i tried using the public file sharing i got access denied while opening shared folders and unidetified network

D-Link 8 port switch
Konica minolta Bizhub c220 printer
Hp 2025 dn printers
Two windows 7 machines

Help me My dear friends

A:Connect two computers,two printers to share files and internet

Slickgeek, why don't you let your router assign IP addresses via DHCP then create your Homegroup, setup your shares and be done. Seems your doing to much work when it could be easier. Just checking!

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/216751-connect-two-computers-two-printers-share-files-internet.html
Relevancy 69.66%

My WAN connection (ADSL2+) goes into a Draytek Vigor 2800VG, which is a combo ADSL modem - Firewall - Router - Print Server - Wireless Access Point. It's gateway IP address is 192.168.1.1. There are a number of computers and other equipment connected wirelessly to it, with IP addresses starting from 192.168.1.101. Another unit that is connected by LAN to the Draytek is an Apple Time Capsule and its IP address is 192.168.1.110. The Time Capsule is not in bridge mode. Wirelessly, a MacBook Pro and an iPhone are connected to the Time Capsule, with IP addresses starting from 10.0.1.101. How could I see shared folders on the computers connected to the Drayyek from the MacBook Pro? I can ping the Draytek (192.168.1.1) but if I try to ping 192.168.1.101 I get request timed out? Thank you.

A:Solved: How to Share Files on Computers Connected to Different Routers?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-how-to-share-files-on-computers-connected-to-different-routers.877679/
Relevancy 68.37%

I have a bunch of XP laptops that connect to a W2k Server share just fine. I double click on the share and login with the user.

Now, if I try to access the the same share on a Vista Home laptop I get the login prompt, but it never takes my login username/password. It comes back and tells me incorrect login???

Why is this happening???

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed some light....

Thanks

TJ

A:Stupid Vista Home and W2k Server Share problem

Hi ToolJob,

Do the Following

go to Control Panel

Then click user accounts

on the Lefthand side of the Screen Click the option which says
"Manage Your Network Passwords"

Over there Click Add

Then Add the Username and Password and the server that your connecting to.

This shoud slove you problem

Regards,

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/141905-stupid-vista-home-w2k-server-share-problem.html
Relevancy 67.94%

I did not set up my pc's to share over my home wireless network, but suddenly today I see that all drives and the printer are available between each computer. I had tried to set up the computers to share months ago, but never got it to work and gave up.

The desktop is old, running WinME, one laptop is running WinXPpro, the other laptop is running Vista. They are all connected to a Westell router/dsl modem for internet through Verizon.

So, I turn the desktop off daily. Today I go to turn it off and it says the WinXP laptop is connected and do I really want to shut down. I go to windows explorer on both machines and sure enough I have access to the other drives on each computer. I start the Vista machine and see the same.

Am I compromised?

A:MY home computers suddenly sharing over home wireless network

If you didn't make the change to share all drives, then somebody did. I would assume the worst. Time to reformat and reinstall.

Windows ME is past end of life, and no security updates are provided by MS. I wouldn't run it anymore. Maybe you'd want to try out some linux distros, some are quite good on old hardware. See this review:
http://www.linux.com/feature/52134

It seems you don't have a separate router, I would advise you to get one. I have a modem/router too but I also have a separate hardware firewall/router. The modem/router does NAT but I constantly see connections/attacks making it past the modem/router to my firewall. Having a separate router is a good thing.

Since you are using wireless, did you enable the encryption? If you have WPA or WPA2 use them and setup a long and complicated passphrase. Use WEP if you have no other choice cause WEP can be broken into real quick. You must enable encryption because with wireless, all your machines are sitting ducks when you have close range attackers, whereas with wired, at least you still have a perimeter which you can fortify with a firewall. Also it is especially important to have software firewalls on Each PC when using wireless.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-home-computers-suddenly-sharing-over-home-wireless-network.688238/
Relevancy 66.65%

Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network screen I have a home network with laptops and desktop The desktop I use as a quot file server quot in that all work done on the laptops is stored to the to Explorer Unable network computers Windows in see scree home Network desktop The desktop computer name is HAL One laptop is fine and sees the network The other just stopped seeing it rebooted the laptop rebooted HAL did a number of refreshes without any luck I opened EXCEL and found a worksheet that was listed that I knew was saved Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree on HAL Was able to open the file and when I tried the SAVE AS I could navigate through all of HAL just as normal Went to Windows Explorer and still no HAL listed as a COMPUTER on the NETWORK I have a internet connection so I know I am making it to the router at least And when I check NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER it shows an active home network Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree The laptop is running Windows Home Premium Service Pack Build Thanks in advance for any help George

A:Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree

Still working on the problem. Tried to do a system restore back to the point where everything was working. Still no HAL showing as a network computer; Excel now does not recognize the path that worked yesterday. But now I am able to create a shortcut that will take me to HAL on the network. Guess this is a good enough fix for right now. When I go to Windows Explorer, Network it still only shows the 2 laptops and not HAL......WHY????

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/229783-unable-see-home-network-computers-windows-explorer-network-scree.html
Relevancy 65.79%

I have a Desktop pc with Windows Vista connected to the internet with DSL.
The DSL is connected to a netgear router so my laptop can connect to the internet. My laptop also has windows vista. I want to know how I can send files such as pictures from one to another without using a flashdrive or having to burn it on a cd. Both PC's are Dell.
thanks Tina
p.s. my daughters laptop is also connected to this wireless network if that matters.

Relevancy 65.79%

I just bought a new PC with Windows Professional I want to keep using my old PC running XP Professional but pretty much have it act like a server where I can access or share it's hard drives with my Windows system and my laptop which is also running XP I noticed that XP uses the workgroup name as MSHOME and Windows uses something else I should also add that at times I have found in the past sharing my How home PC to XP? share with network running drives with my laptop kind of flaky where sometimes it wouldn't show or allow the drives In addition I have three profiles or users attached to XP What I plan to do since I only have one monitor is to turn on my How to network share with home PC running XP? old XP PC and then leave it running without accessing a particlular profile or user None of the users are password protected and I have disabled all firewalls including Zonealarm and How to network share with home PC running XP? Windows Firewall to ensure that my connection isn't blocked when I am trying to access the drives Any comments or suggestions on how to network share given my situation I do realize that I am putting myself at risk by disabling the firewall but at the present time I want to ensure all the PCS can communicate with each other S

A:How to network share with home PC running XP?

Read the Tutorial section, you'll find a lot of resources regarding your issue.

zzz2496

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/88285-how-network-share-home-pc-running-xp.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hi
I have a home network consisting of Windows 10 PCs and one Windows XP Pro PC. I used to be able to access the printer from my other PCs not the XP one though. Because of the XP PC I have all the PCs in a workgroup. The printer is attached to what I refer to as a print server. The server can access the other PCs but the other PCs can't access the server.

The issue is due to the Windows Update which took over two hours to complete. I say that because I could access the printer before. The trouble is I don't know what the update has done.

So I have a printer that works fine but my other computers although they can see it cannot access it.

A:Cannot share a printer on a home network

Get a Network Print Server that will work with your printer if only USB.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/65120-cannot-share-printer-home-network.html
Relevancy 65.36%

W2K domain issue:

users can delete files from
\\server.domain.local\data$\folder​but can't delete files from the
\\server\data$\folder​
The server is my domain controller.

When I redirect the "my documents"-folder to \\server.domain.local\data$ , it appears as \\server\data$ in the adress bar, so users can create files but not delete them.

A:Difference between \\server\share and \\server.domain.local\share?

It seems i mapped the driver to \\server.domain.loc\data$ when it can't find it, the computer seems to revert to \\server\data$
Windows is a funny OS.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/difference-between-server-share-and-server-domain-local-share.603477/
Relevancy 64.93%

I have an internet USB modem (TATA Photan). I Installed Driver of modem it creates dialup connection of photan
Can I share this Dialup Connection with Network Address Translation (NAT) to my home network.
Operating System is windows 2008

A:Can I share TATA Photan in my home network?

You could use ICS, which would be the typical way to do that.
Take a look at this Microsoft ICS (Internet Connection Sharing tutorial.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-share-tata-photan-in-my-home-network.798420/
Relevancy 64.93%

From what I've read, it is by design that the Windows folder and all its subfolders cannot be shared. I understand the safety in that. However, I have a lot of fonts on our oldest PC on our network, running Windows XP, and I would like to be able to access its fonts on our other laptops at home. (I'm trying not to clutter up our newest laptop with a lot of unnecessary fonts!)

Is there any safe way to over-ride the non-sharing aspect of the fonts folder?

Thanks,
Lisa

A:Share Fonts Folder Over Home Network

Welcome to TSF!

You must be running XP Home, as XP Pro doesn't have that restriction.

Keep in mind, if you don't copy the Font files over to the laptops, they will not be available unless you are connected to the network, and the old PC is turned on. You might be unable to view any documents created that use any of those fonts when not connected to the network.

First, share any folder to enable File Sharing.
Then we'll use the Command Prompt to share the Fonts folder and give it a sharename of Fonts
Click Start | Run (or press WinKey+R), type cmd, press Enter.
Type the following command and press Enter, there must be a space between the different colors:
Net Share Fonts="%SystemRoot%\Fonts"
Close the Command Prompt window.

Reboot to safe mode (Restart the PC, tap the F8 key as the system starts. When the Options menu is displayed, choose Safe Mode).

Navigate to the Windows\Fonts folder
Right click on the Fonts folder, click Properties
Click the Security tab.
Click the Add button.
Type Everyone in the box, then click Check Names to check for typos.
Click OK.
This will give Read Only access to the Font files.
You can grant Modify and Create permissions, but it's not recommended unless absolutely necessary.
Click OK
Click OK

Reboot. The Fonts folder will now be accessible from the other PCs,

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/share-fonts-folder-over-home-network-514005.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I have 2 machines connected via my router/hub (wired). One is running Windows 8.1 and the other Windows 7. Previously I had them sharing perfectly until I did a reinstall of Windows 8 (upgraded to Windows 8.1). I get this message on both machines whilst trying to access shared drives (permissions enabled to read, write, modify for all users):

I have a local account on the windows 8.1 as per previous installation. I have checked all the usual sharing settings and they are the same as in the previous working installation on both machines. I have left the homegroup and created a new one on the windows 8 machine and rejoined on the windows 7 machine all to no avail. I have read posts here but none seem to help. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

A:Unable to share drives across home network

OK - I now manage to access a shared drive on my Windows 7 PC from Windows 8.1 - read write etc. all good ( found that encryption setting on Windows 8.1 was wrong .
However cannot do the same for the Windows 8.1 machine from the Windows 7. Can't see what I am doing wrong?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/42009-unable-share-drives-across-home-network.html
Relevancy 64.93%

This is perhaps the easiest question ever for some of you. I have just set up a Linksys wireless router using the "wired" ethernet ports for sharing a dsl connection. What is my next step to view files and share files between the 2 computers. Do I go into "my documents" > right click > share > on both computers? Is that it. My main machine is Vista x64 and the other is XP. If i click on the computer I connected in widows explorer, it just gives me an error saying network path not found. I understand because I haven't set up a network, (have I?) I'm just sharing a connection. What is a good set of steps I need to take now. Thanks for any help.

A:Question on home network file share

Hi, Nate42nd

Have a look at this page here and if you have any specific problems post back and will try to help ...

Teach XP and Vista to play nice on networks

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/209971-question-home-network-file-share.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I have 2 XP pro machines, i will call A and B. A have a USB Hard Drive Omega with FAT32 forma file.
I wanto to share the drive with the B XP Machine, but i received an error related with a memory problem.

I share other folder between the machines sucessfully and i suspect a problem related with USB Drive and XP sharing method.

Before this i have a similar configuration on those machines using W2K in the A machine, acting like a network file server and the B machine with XP acting like a client , everything were working well.

Why, when i changed the W2K for XP in the machine linked to USB drive i cannot access the USB Drive over the network?

Any suggestion?

A:Cannot share a USB hard drive over a home network in XP

Did you uncheck the box under "tools" in windows explorer labeled Use Simple File Sharing? Uncheck that box and then your system will share just like W2K does including advanced security etc.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-share-a-usb-hard-drive-over-a-home-network-in-xp-13098.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Oh Boy do I need some help I have read through several other threads on these forums and followed many many sets of instructions all to no avail Here's the deal sorry I'm not terribly tech-savvy but Ill try I setting so up network home a share printer I can help need my best Desktop PC running Windows XP Home connected I need help setting up home network so I can share a printer to and printing to a Canon PIXMA MX Also connects to ADSL through a router DELL Laptop running Windows Vista Home Premium can connect to the net wirelessly through the PC's internet I need help setting up home network so I can share a printer service Question Because the laptop can connect to the internet through the PC does this mean we should be able to share the printer through this 'network' or do I need to set up another home 'network' I have tried setting up a separate work group many times and I can't get them to talk to each other The printer has sharing enabled in the printer properties Question Does the printer need to be somehow added to the network If someone could please come to my rescue with some easy step-by-step instructions I would be eternally grateful

A:I need help setting up home network so I can share a printer

I've just answered this same question, check your firewalls to see if they are blocking anything.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/188278-i-need-help-setting-up-home-network-so-i-can-share-printer.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I want to connect my laptop to my windows computer only to access files.

I have a command line only install of linux so don't want to have to install X just to rdp.

I would like to ssh in. Is this the simplest way? I am only going to be in the other room of my apartment so do I still need to make a server for that?

I want to connect by wifi though rather than cat5.

So is making windows an ssh server the best way to go? In terms of security is making it a server any more of a risk than just being online normally?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f320/do-i-need-to-set-windows-up-as-a-server-to-share-files-with-linux-on-another-computer-1085393.html
Relevancy 64.93%

Hi everybody.

I would be more then happy if somebody could help me.

I have a company with 8 PC on local network. But often we can?t see one of them which is called "server" and sometimes another one. We use one AV (bitdeffender), and Code two publick folder for sharing emails via outlook. The base settings, like visibility or firewall we have set fine.

So please does anyone know where the problem is?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/386417-sometimes-we-can-t-see-server-other-computers-local-network.html
Relevancy 64.93%

I hope someone can give me some help on this one. I work for a small automotive repair shop. We just bought an hp proliant server to run our repair invoice program on. The problem i am having is that I cannot get the server to be able to ping the other computers on the network. I can ping from the other computers to the server though. I need to be able to do this so ican set up the rest of our software. Does anyone know where I might find the problem? By the way, I am running windows xp professional sp2 on the server and windows xp professional sp1 on the other computers.

Relevancy 64.93%

Users have intermittent connectivity to shared folder if they use \\computername\folder, sometimes they can not access it sometimes they can but only see a few folders. However if they use \\computername\root\folder they do not have a problem. We are working
across subnets as our home office is in NC and we are in IA. I have asked our head IT guys what the reason for this is and even they are not aware of the issues. Of course they are on the subnet that we are trying to access from our site.
If someone could please explain why we have to use root in between to get this to work it would be a great help.
And yes at some point access the folders via \\domain\folder worked just fine, but it is hit or miss.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a6b87d3e-c062-4505-9928-97df97216665/network-share-folder-issues-windows-7-to-server-2008?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 64.93%

I have a hosted Linux server running CentOS with Samba Everything is setup and it is accessible via Linux machines by typing smb ip address in a Firefox address bar I am trying to set up a local network share on a Windows Home Premium x SP computer I am trying to map the shared drive as a network drive and am having issues Google provided a wide range of solutions and thus far nothing has worked I have tried entering Create Network to Share Connect Can't to Remote Linux Server the IP address in locations Map Network drive I select a drive letter and type in the ip It asks for credentials and I enter the user info for the user I created on the Linux machine It thinks a moment then pops back up asking for credentials It doesn't say they are invalid just never goes through Connect to a website under Map Network Drive I type the IP http and click connect Can't Connect to Remote Linux Server to Create Network Share and it pops up a dialog saying quot Can't Connect to Remote Linux Server to Create Network Share The folder you entered does not appear to be valid Please choose another quot I have Can't Connect to Remote Linux Server to Create Network Share tried creating a loopback adapter and trying to setup a connection via SSH using the guide found at http www nikhef nl janjust CifsOverSSH VistaLoopback html After completing the tutorial substituting my server IP address for the destination address given I try using the Run dialog as indicated and get a quot Windows cannot connect to quot error and the diagnose connection button One thing that may be causing problems there is that the loopback adapter is labeled as an unidentified network and thus stuck as a public connection and I am unable to change it Searching for solutions to that brings up things I can't access no group policy editor on Home Premium or results in no change setting DHCP server which I tried setting to my router Most tutorials and suggestions follow similar lines I posted the one I did because it was the most concise I appreciate any input on how to resolve this issue What additional settings or changes do I need to make Is there a better tutorial showing how to achieve my goal and if so where Thank you Roger

A:Can't Connect to Remote Linux Server to Create Network Share

Anyone? I have been searching and can't seem to find anything else to try, hoping someone here has some suggestions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/153521-cant-connect-remote-linux-server-create-network-share.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I'm building a new computer and (when it's finished) I'd like to network it with my old one. The old one has an ethernet card and the new one will have an Abit AV8 mobo which has "LAN Gigabit" on it. I have a DSL connection. The two will be near each other in the same room. From what I've been able to learn so far, I'll need a hub to connect them, but other than that I'm in the dark as to what I'll need. Advice would be appreciated.

Relevancy 64.5%

I just installed a fresh installation of Enterprisex a couple days ago As I've been building up the system I mapped a drive to another computer on my network and on home Can't see network computers name) (by continued to setup the new Can't see computers (by name) on home network PC Last night after installing a couple different DVD Burning programs Roxio Can't see computers (by name) on home network amp Nero I rebooted a couple times and noticed that my Security Center was turned off I went into the services turned it to Automatic and restarted the service Then I continued my work on building my system and realized I couldn't Can't see computers (by name) on home network connect to my mapped drive only to realize I could no longer see other computers on my network via Network Neighborhood or by computername My other computers on the network can see each other just not this new box Oddly I can still talk to the new computers though I can ping their IP addresses or open the computer ipaddress Of course this is not the preferred way especially on a DHCP network Extra info Server-less environment Exterprisex has Windows Firewall running on it Exterprisex has Symantec Corporate Edition AV Other computers can still see themselves just fine just not Exterprisex All are connected to a Linksys Router Network Discovery is turned on Can see access Internet without a problemI guess what I don't understand is why did it happen all of a sudden Any suggestions on how I can turn that back on

A:Can't see computers (by name) on home network

Originally Posted by Morph

and noticed that my Security Center was turned off. I went into the services, turned it to Automatic and restarted the service.

Is your firewall configured for the network ?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/153846-cant-see-computers-name-home-network.html
Relevancy 64.5%

I'm trying to use a printer on one computer USB connection on another This was working just fine until last week when suddenly it stopped The two computers are part of the same powerline network Internet access is through a cable modem router on a third powerline adapter They used to be able to see each other -- I added the printer as a network printer by using the quot Browse quot option I'm not using Homegroups but instead just had it as password authentication For whatever reason the computer with the printer now just doesn't show up to the other two home on to network get other computers Cannot see each one and vice versa I've checked that network discovery is on that the LLT protocols are on and they are They were before nothing has changed Strangely when I have windows generate a quot Full Network Map quot for each computer they are different Cannot get two computers to see each other on home network One PC shows Computer gt Gateway gt Internet and the other shows Computer gt Switch gt Dlink router gt Internet Even more weird is that I don't own any Dlink hardware but it could just be seeing a manufacter's part inside another branded device Does anyone have any suggestions Where can I start to even troubleshoot this Thank you in advance for any help you can offer

A:Cannot get two computers to see each other on home network

Did something you know of actually change a week ago, when your home network's configuration apparently changed? Did you replace any hardware? Visits from cable company? Anything?

Can you please do IPCONFIG in a command-prompt on both machines. Please state what each machine shows in its "local area connection" info. I'm looking for IP address details on its IPv4 address, default gateway, DNS router.

Also, you've provided no info in your specs, and you have two machines to describe. So please provide specifics for each machine:

wired vs wireless connection from PC to router? Please list all devices involved, and if wired what they connect from/to.

brand/model of router? brand/model of your powerline adapters. Do you have an actual true "switch" (which is actually a device type), or only a primary router/modem, or what else is involved in your home network. Can you verbally describe your assumed connection path from each computer to the primary router (and then to the modem, unless you have an all-in-one box from your ISP that is both modem as well as router).

are both machines in the same "workgroup"? Right-click on COMPUTER, select Properties, and look down in the "computer name, domain, and workgroup settings" section. What is the "workgroup"?

what are the "attached devices" (presumably and hopefully showing both of your PCs) shown in your router's GUI? Screenshot from a browser window where you've connected to the router (e.g. 192.168.1.1, or whatever the "default gateway" address as shown by IPCONFIG).

A printer USB-connected and hosted by one machine on the network can be shared with other PC's on the network as long as it is set as "shared" in Printer Properties -> Sharing tab, from Start -> Devices and Printers. If that part looks good from the hosting machine, then it's obviously an issue with the two computers not being able to see each other on the network.

We'll get to the bottom of it, but the above info is needed first to get a clear picture of your home setup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/355402-cannot-get-two-computers-see-each-other-home-network.html
Relevancy 64.5%

2 computers connected via router that is connected to cable modem. Both Computer 1 & 2 can connect to Internet just fine. Both computers have the same work group name and unique computer names and user accounts are set as administrative. All was working just fine until a day or so ago. Don't know of anything that changed in particular...computer 2 is kids computer, so who knows exactly??!!!??? Have rerun network wizard to no avail. Also, computer 1 can ping 2, but computer 2 times out when pinging computer 1. Followed the steps listed for same problem listed in the forum, but no luck. Any ideas on what to try next?

Relevancy 64.5%

I have a -computers home network desktops and laptop They all run XP except one with Vista In computers cannot some home on see I network addition there are printers attached locally to desktops through USB One connected thru ethernet the other four use wireless The diagram is as follows I cannot see some computers on home network they all have same workgroup Computer Desktop Vista ethernet Computer Desktop XP Wireless Brother Printer Canon Printer Computer Desktop XP Wireless Computer Desktop XP Wireless Canon PRinter Computer Laptop MacBook Pro OS X XP emulation thru VMWare Wireless There are perplexing problems that keep nagging me for several years now First I cannot see some desktops from others For example all the computers cannot see Computer Second Computer in OS X cannot connect to the printers on Computer The VMWare however successfully connects to those printers so I do have access thru Windows applications only It would be nice to connect for the Mac applications also I suspect some network configurations were not set up properly on these computers Does anyone have any suggestion or a checklist for me to check Thank you in advance Huan nbsp

A:I cannot see some computers on home network

can u check the ipconfig if they are on the same network then ping each pc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-cannot-see-some-computers-on-home-network.802656/
Relevancy 64.5%

My computers are struggling to see each other on my home 'network'. I'm sure it will be something stupid that I have ommitted to do. Can anyone help please?

My desktop PC is wired through a wireless router. My laptop accesses the internet, wirelessly through the router.

Both computers are able to access the internet without problem. I have WEP security enabled. Both computers have the same 'workgroup' name. Several folders are set for 'file sharing'.

I am the only user of the machines and therefore, administrator.

The desktop has never been visible from the laptop.

The desktop, occasionally 'sees' the laptop but the files can never be viewed, being stopped by a message which mentions 'administrator'

What am I doing wrong or missing?

BTW, the desktop is running WINXP Pro and the laptop WINXP Media Ed

Thanks.

Relevancy 64.5%

Home network Linksys wireless WRT G One comp connected to router with lan cable Two others conected with TP-Link wireless cards All running XP SP All set to share folders All machines can ping each other and connect to the internet All set to obtain IPs Automatically My problem is one machine new to me can see shared folders on the other two but will not allow the other two to see its shared folders and printers or see its own shared folders and printer I can see it as a work group computer and see the share folders and printers but when I try to connect to them I sometimes get this error quot not enough server storage is available for this command quot or sometimes it just says I don t have permissions and network path not found I ve tried the IRPStackSize regedit from here http support microsoft com kb but the problem still exits Any help appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 63.64%

Hi all,

Scenario:

1.WinXP w/SP2 Home PC with printer attached, no workgroup or domain, no account sign-on required; internet access via Router.

2. Work laptop with access to company domain, also WinXP with SP2.

At home I connect the work laptop to my home router, untick the proxy setting, and I have access to the internet and via VPN to the work domain.

What I want to do is:
a. print to my home printer from my work laptop.
b. exchange files between my home PC and work laptop.

but I cannot make any changes to the laptop as I do not want to loose the domain account.
What do I have to change on my home pc so that it can share the printer and be seen by the laptop? and the laptop be connected to the VPN at the same time?

advice welcomed please?

many thanks
Hew

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/share-files-printer-at-home-to-work-laptop.423503/
Relevancy 63.64%

I have a 1Tb Iomega home media network drive. It normally connects via the network to all my machines (iMac osx, eee pc W7, ubuntu 10). But, something has happened, so now I can see the folders on the network drive but when I click on it (photos, videos etc), it says Windows cannot access \\Iomega-0E10FD\movies

Error code: 0x80070043
The network name cannot be found

This seems similar to someone elses post but is unsolved by anyone. As he says, the management software which came with the drive seems to suggest everything is ok. For example it reports that 90% of the disk is used, which was the case before this problem.

I have tried disabling the firewall in the router and the W7 eee pc, but nothing has worked.

please help!

Cheers,
Rich

Any help would be appreciated.

A:Iomega 1Tb home network drive missing share drives

I just started having this exact same problem. I'm on a windows desktop using windows 7. I have an iomega home media network drive, and all of a sudden for the last couple of days I am unable to access any of my folders on it. I get the same error message (Error code 0x80070043 Network name cannot be found). The drive and all the folders show up in windows explorer (sometimes they have a red X on them, sometimes they don't) but when I click on the folders, I get that error. I can't access any of the folders using the iomega storage manager software either. I get the same Network Name Cannot Be Found thing. I am also at around 90% of the disc used. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Emily

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/iomega-1tb-home-network-drive-missing-share-drives.984783/
Relevancy 63.64%

Sorry if this question is redundant but I can t make sense of all the acronyms used in network? a internet share connection Can I wireless on home my public the search results I got to know if they apply to me So here s what my situation is I was given an g USB Wireless LAN Adapter and the installation disk that goes with it Now I can connect to the internet via a public wireless network - that s how I got here wave So far so good Now I want to share the connection with my roommate At our old house we used a shared DSL connection through our home network But when I tried to set up the home network at our new place it s ethernet it wouldn t let me share this intenet connection because it says that I am connecting to the interenet through another computer But it s a Can I share a wireless public internet connection on my home network? public access connection There s no land line here so no DSL or dial-up access is available I don t have a very good understanding of the whole wireless internet thing in the first place and there s no help file included with the wireless adapter Is it possible to share this connection or not I don t want to set up a wireless home network - I want to share the wireless internet connection on an ethernet home network I m very experienced with PC s but this is my first time using any wireless technology and I m floundering Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Can I share a wireless public internet connection on my home network?

It does not matter what your connection is - wireless, wired, dialup, carrier pidgeons - it doesn't matter. You can always share it.

What you are experiencing may be some limitation of the Windows ICS or the wizard you are using. Depending on how the public access thing is set up, you may be able to share the connection by bridging the wireless and LAN connections on your computer. (Select both wireless and LAN in your network connections, right click and say that you want to bridge these two.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-share-a-wireless-public-internet-connection-on-my-home-network.42438/
Relevancy 63.64%

I have a Iomega home media network drive. It connects well and can be seen via the network. I can see the folders on the network drive but when I click on it (photos, videos etc). it says Windows cannot access \\<ip_address>\photos

Error code: 0x80070043
The network name cannot be found

However, I can ping the drive ok. The management software which came with the drive seems to suggest everything is ok. It displays the share but with a ? next to folder -- perhaps because it not do a map of the drive.

Any help would be appreciated.

A:Iomega home network drive missing share drives

I'd be looking for a firewall configuration issue first. Try disabling the firewall on this machine and see if that helps.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/iomega-home-network-drive-missing-share-drives.890321/
Relevancy 63.64%

Dear Windows 7 Home Network Experts,

After hours of trying, I can see my 2 compupters on the Home Network. I can share printers, but no matter what I do, I cannot access folders or hard disks. I have:

- encabled sharing
- disabled firewall

The messages I get are:
Windows cannot access \\other computer name\disk or folder name
You do not have permission to access \\other computer name\\disk or folder name. Contact your network administrator to request access.

These are my own computers and I have created and am managing the home network....

Thank you!

A:Home network can share printers but not folders or entire disks

Did you select "everyone" when you try to share a folder?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/226402-home-network-can-share-printers-but-not-folders-entire-disks.html
Relevancy 63.64%

I have a belkin home network and all the computers in my house can connect except mine, so it isn't a network issue. When I log onto my laptop, it says no networks are available so I can't even attempt to connect. Can someone please help me and tell me what to do? Thanks.

A:I can't connect to my home network while other computers can

Do you have the correct wireless drivers for your laptop?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-cant-connect-to-my-home-network-while-other-computers-can.171834/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi all I want to use a new LinkSys Cable DSL Router model befsr but some things are not working I have an older Netgear RP router and with that I can easily see all computers in my home and print etc In other words everything is configured and working at least with the old router The internet works fine on but seen on on old Computers router network on can not new one. home be the new router but I can t see computers in the home network It also can t find a newly added printer that I d like to share If I hook up the old router again then everything works again The printer is also found Once it s seen and shared I can then switch to the new router and print to it from another computer However I d like the new router Computers on home network can be seen on old router but not on new one. to be able to find that printer without relying on the old router every time If I re-install windows on a computer on the network then the printer of course goes away It then starts all over again I need the old router each and every time to find a printer for sharing Also the main problem of course is that I also can t see any computers in the home network with this new router I figure there must be some way to make the new router act Computers on home network can be seen on old router but not on new one. like the old one since the old one is so simplistic I m hoping I m missing something simple in the LinkSys s setup The systems all use Windows XP I d list all computer specs for all computers but this seems to be a problem with the new router and nothing in particular with the Computers on home network can be seen on old router but not on new one. computers To give you an idea one is a ghz Intel on an Asus motherboard with GB ram The other systems are ghz and on similar LAN connections are built into the motherboard The modem is an Arris cable modem All computers plug into the router which is then connected to the modem But again the router is causing the problem that prevents computers from seeing each other At least I think so since I can always hook up the old one and have it works Can anyone see something I ve overlooked Thanks Update I was able to somehow get the home network to be visible with the new router However I still can t get a new printer to be recognized with network sharing unless I hook up the old router nbsp

A:Computers on home network can be seen on old router but not on new one.

A bit more info would be helpful. Are the pc's static or dynamic ips? Can you ping anything? Have you been able to talk to your new router? Does it have the dhcp enabled/disabled? With a bit of info you might be able to duplicate most of the settings from the old to the new router if you can talk to them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computers-on-home-network-can-be-seen-on-old-router-but-not-on-new-one.606178/
Relevancy 63.64%

NETWORKING PROBLEM I have a networking problem that I do not understand and have been unable to resolve It concerns computers on HOMENET OfficeMain runs Windows OfficeSecond runs Windows Laptop runs Windows XP SP OfficeMain can see but not access OfficeSecond and cannot / Network Home XP 3 Computers Win7 see Laptop Attempts to access OfficeSecond from OfficeMain give The specified network provider name is invalid OfficeSecond can see and access both OfficeMain and Laptop However it has read only access to OfficeMain files Laptop can see and access both Home Network 3 Computers Win7 / XP OfficeMain and Home Network 3 Computers Win7 / XP OfficeSecond Laptop has read write access to OfficeMain files The network map on OfficeMain shows both OfficeMain and OfficeSecond but neither can be accessed by double clicking the icons This returns The specified network provider name is invalid The network map on OfficeSecond shows OfficeMain OfficeSecond and Laptop but only OfficeSecond and Laptop can be accessed by double clicking the icons HomeGroup can be created as a one-off but only on OfficeMain which can see but not access shared libraries Restarting Main or Second sometimes loses HomeGroup connectivity Help And please tell me any additional information actions required Thanks OfficeMain data AV temporarily disabled for fault finding Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB H Total - MB Free - MB S Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Acer Aspire X Antvirus PC Tools Internet Security Anti-Virus Disabled nbsp

Relevancy 63.64%

hi let me first thank those who will help So my cannot 3 Home computers, be accessed 1 network problem - I built a home network with computers for file sharing lets call them A B and C A- Dell m laptop runs vista OS THIS is the one giving PROBLEM runs no firewall no virus software actually clamwin but i hv closed it B- Tosiba laptop runs vista OS C- Desktop runs windows XP So From A I can see files of B amp C and can Home network 3 computers, 1 cannot be accessed access them I can ping B amp C from A too However i can see A as a workgroup computer on B amp C I cannot access it nor can i ping A from B amp C Here is the error i get i searched for this error on net tried diff things no help - quot A is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact admin quot The network path was not found PLEASE LET KNOW HOW I CAN ACCESS COMPUTER A FOR FILE SHARING Oh i read a few posts here i dont think there is a firewall issue as windows vista on A says firewall disabled i m also not running anything else besides if you think something is blocking A to be access WHAT is the BEST way to know that THX AGAIN nbsp

Relevancy 63.64%

Hi guys Hope someone can help me on this I've got two computers one with Windows Home Pro and a new computer with on computers to access everything to network set home How up Windows Ultimate I'm trying to set up a network so that I can access everything on both computers The newer computer with Ultimate on it has a SSD drive for my operating system and programs and an internal drive for storage I need to be able to access the storage drive with the computer with Home Pro on it Right now the only thing I can access is my public folder on the main drive The storage drive e is showing up in the network but when I click on it I get a message that I do not have perimssion to view it I've tried every suggestion that I can find on how to fix this nothing works On the older computer with Home Pro on it I'm getting a quot There is a second homegroup on this computer would you like to join it quot message I can't figure out how it got there how to view it how to delete it or even how to join it as all passwords I have do not work Let me know if you need any other information I have screen shots if needed Thanks Linda

A:How to set up home network to access everything on computers

Hello to a Buckeye Gal,

Chev65 is probably one of our most knowledgable members on networking.

I don't use "homegroups" because I have differenet versions of Windows running on my networks. (98, XP, Vista, Win7). I always use business type networks. You have to make sure you get the sharing right on each HD & folders that you want shared on the network.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/290504-how-set-up-home-network-access-everything-computers.html
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello All,

AS always thank you all for your time in reading this.

So here's my problem...

I have a home computer;

Windows XP Pro
Direct connection to high speed cable

I also have a laptop;

Windows XP Pro
Connects to the internet via a Belkin wireless router (that's connected to my home computer)

I'm trying to connect these two computers together so I can work on various files and folders on my laptop in the wee hours of the morning, instead of falling asleep at my computer desk at night.

I've tried the Windows "setup a wireless home or small business" application with little success. Unless I've done something wrong, I can't connect these two computers.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone has to offer.

Thanks again for your time.

A:Help me setup a HOME network between 2 computers PLEASE!

Hi 5DoubleO,

Try setting up the home network on the main computer. CONTROL PANEL > NETWORK SETUP WIZARD. Give it a network name, the most common name is "WORKGROUP". After you complete creating the network, it will probably ask you to restart.

Then, go on your secondary PC (most likely your laptop) and go to CONTROL PANEL > SYSTEM > COMPUTER NAME TAB > CHANGE... > Then enter the network name you created on your main computer. It will probably ask you to restart.

Then you should be able to access both computers shared documents.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-me-setup-a-home-network-between-2-computers-please.703846/
Relevancy 63.64%

We have had 5 computers on our network (p2p) and I'm using two separate workstations as servers for two different database programs. We just added two computers to the network and I'm not allowed to use more than 5 computers at a time to access the one server (with a mapped drive). I can reboot the server and the first 5 computer (counting the server) can access the mapped server. All computer can access each other (excepted for the mapped one). I'm thinking that there maybe sometype of limitation to the number of computer xp home allows on the network.

Any thoughts on how to change this? Thanks!
Banner

Relevancy 63.64%

All computers can see other. on home canít see Computers each network internet and wireless printer I can ping the router from all computers but can not ping any other computer on network Network discovery on Vista machine only sees router and wireless printer Router Linksys WRT G minimal changes from default configuration Configured to login to network through DSL modem Computer Windows XP Pro SP physically connected to router Local Area Connection Properties include Client for Microsoft Networks File and Printer Sharing and TCP IP workgroup MSHOME Windows firewall turned OFF No other firewall or virus software that I know of although I do have Windows Live installed for email access Sees printer physically connected to this computer Also sees wireless printer Computer Windows XP Pro SP Wireless connection Local Area Connection Properties include Client for Computers on home network canít see each other. Microsoft Networks File and Printer Sharing and TCP Computers on home network canít see each other. IP workgroup MSHOME Computers on home network canít see each other. Windows firewall turned OFF No other firewall software installed Recently reinstalled OS Sees wireless printer Computer Vista Ultimate Wireless connection Local Area Connection Properties include Client for Microsoft Networks File and Printer Sharing and TCP IP workgroup MSHOME Windows firewall turned OFF No other firewall software installed Recently reinstalled OS Sees wireless printer nbsp

Relevancy 63.64%

Really appreciate your computer knowledge. Here?s the problem.

I created a HOMEGROUP on computers A with PRINTER hooked up.. No problem with A, B, C printing.

Now I hooked up PRINTER to computers B. Computers A, B, C do not print (unless I hook up to A).

IMHO if all computers are on the same home network, they should be able to share the same functions.
What should I do to hook up the printer to B and A, B, C will print?

I thank you.

A:Print for all computers on the same home network

If the printer is capable of using Ethernet or Wifi, you do not need it connected to a computer to print, since the printer contains an internal print server. Majority of the times, it is either the Windows Firewall is turned on, or a third party Internet Security software, that is causing this issue. Turn off the firewall, things go back to normal.

As for homegroup, do not use it. Disable it and use standard Networking. It also helps to know the manufacturer & model of the router, OS versions and printer manufacturer & model number.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/50268-print-all-computers-same-home-network.html
Relevancy 63.64%

We have two computers in our office that have share of on folders/files opening Office SLOW Solved: Server incredibly slow opening times of folders files that are on our Office Server Solved: SLOW opening of share folders/files on Office Server The Office Server is running Windows Server R sp and the two problem computers have recently been reformatted Solved: SLOW opening of share folders/files on Office Server and are running Windows Ultimate -bit In the office we have computers with of them accessing the Office Server share folder files perfectly Of the computers that are running perfectly eight of them are running Windows and bit and two of them are running XP I even reformatted a few of these recently with no issues On the problem computers when I access the Network share folder it asks for a Username Password and I allow it to save these credentials Now the folders files will open quickly and perfectly The slowness problem occurs when the computers are rebooted Once rebooted I access the Network share folder it can either be mapped as a drive a shortcut or navigated to via Windows Explorer doesn t make a difference and it takes - seconds with a green bar going across the top of Explorer to open any folder file It s worse with larger folder files The only temporary fix I have found is to go to quot Windows Credentials Manager quot and delete the saved credentials for the network folder Then I reboot the computer and access the network folder at which time it asks for the Username Password again and will work perfectly until the computer is rebooted Even when the problem computers are directly accessing the Office Server folders files with no problems there is still an issue with running the FileMaker database which lives on the Office Server as well On the problem computers this NEVER works correctly and FileMaker is unusable taking minutes just to open the database My guess is that the database file is so large the network issue really comes to the forefront when it s attempting to be accessed When the problem computers are slow to open folders files on the Office Server they show zero or close to zero activity in the Networking tab of quot Windows Explorer quot The slow computers are also fully capable of doing other tasks while they are slowly opening the folders files This leads me to believe the problem computers are having an issue with gaining permission to the folders files rather than not connecting to them at all nbsp

A:Solved: SLOW opening of share folders/files on Office Server

I've tried turning off the firewall, antivirus and all other startup programs as well. Still have the same issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-slow-opening-of-share-folders-files-on-office-server.1045053/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hi Everyone This is my first post so be gentle with me I need some networking help please We have wire port ADSL router Server - Running SBS with NICs port switch A load of > Computers Server Switch help. Router Network > config > computers running a mix of XP and vista One of the server NICs plugs into Network config help. Router > Server > Switch > Computers the router the other into the switch The router doesnt plug into the switch The server gets and internet from the switch with no problem I ve plugged all the client computers into the switch - so in theory they would connect to the server gt get their ips dhcp gt then gain access to the net via the server However this is not Network config help. Router > Server > Switch > Computers the case no client computer can ping or rdp into the server altough Network config help. Router > Server > Switch > Computers when doing IPCONFIG it seems to have got an ip from the server If i plug a computer directly into the servers NIC not the internet one I can RDP into it and get an internet connection Why is does it stop working once i plug them both into the switch any help is greatly appreciated as this one has been racking my brain for some time now Thanks Joe nbsp

A:Network config help. Router > Server > Switch > Computers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-config-help-router-server-switch-computers.830677/
Relevancy 63.64%

Hello. I am a complete newbie to server administration. At my current job, I have been tasked with setting up a deployment server. The server is a Windows 2008 server and is not connected to the Internet. The server is a domain controller on its own domain (different from the main domain my job uses). How would I connect this server to the Internet without disrupting other users on the network? By disrupting, I mean connecting to my server instead of the main server for DNS and DHCP. The server has Active Directory Domain Services, DNS, DHCP, and WDS roles set-up.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connect-server-to-the-internet-without-disrupting-other-computers-on-network.200167/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi, i have installed a new linksys wireless router with range booster, (before it was a d-link wired router), i have an hp desktop, and a toshiba laptop. when ever i want to see the computers on the workgroup to share my files,
- the desktop doesnt show anything and gives me an error message saying i have to contact my network server to check and see it i have permission.
- the laptop does show it self and the desktop on the workgroup, but when ever i want to access one of them, i get that the path is not found, and that i have to check and see if i have permition.

What should i do? :s

Thanks for taking the time to help me

A:I cant share files on my network

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt for the following commands.

PING each remote computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. Open a command prompt as described above and type.

PING <ip address>
or
PING <computer name>

Where:
<ip address> - is the x.x.x.x IP address
<computer name> - is the computer name

A failure to PING is almost always a firewall configuration issue. Any failure to PING needs to be corrected before you go any farther.

Note: You can obtain the IP address and computer name of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG /ALL. This should work for any Windows version. The IPCONFIG /ALL display will provide a wealth of useful information for debugging your network connection.

Check your Services are Started on all PCs:

Computer Browser
DHCP Client
DNS Client
Network Location Awareness
Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
Server
TCP/IP Netbios helper
Workstation

Note: You can check the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-cant-share-files-on-my-network.646242/
Relevancy 63.21%

I have 2 laptop with windows 10 pro 64bits on my network how can I make it can send any files to each other ?

P.s I 'm really newbie for this

Btw,Thanks in advance

A:How can I share any files on my network ?

I'm assuming these are your laptops and you don't have others on the same network otherwise there may be some security issues. All of my systems are on my personal network, however Win10 has thrown me a curve and I'm currently have issues access all of the drives on my desktop to my laptops. Following are some general steps.
Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center, on the left side click Change advance sharing settingsSee the following image for the settings
Expand the Guest or Public section and select the first option in each of the two options
Now expand the last section All Networks, see the following image for the settings (the first two options, select the first option, the 3rd option select the 2nd option)
You can now close the control panel
Now open Windows explorer and drill down to the folder you want to share
I'm assuming you want to share the documents folder
Click on the Sharing tab and then click the Share button
Here I selected Everyone because nobody else is on my network. However if somebody hacks into my network then they have access. For the permissions select Read/Write, at the bottom of the window click on the Share button. Depending on the size of the folder this can take several seconds/minutes.
You should see something like the following, note that the folder is shared and then click the Done button
Back in the Document properties windows, click on the Advance Sharing button (note that it states the folder is shared)
In the Advanced Sharing window click on the Permissions button. If you want you can add a comment in the Comments section
In the Permissions for Documents window check the Full Control under Allow if it is not checked. This will automatically check the Change and Read boxes
Now close all three windows, click OK, OK, CloseNow you can use standard mapping procedures to access the folders on each system from the other system

On my desktop I don't share anything on the C drive because I have all my data (this includes the Documents folder) on other drives. I then share at the drive level and use a SyncBackPro to sync the the Documents folder across all of my systems.

Good luck!

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/35143-how-can-i-share-any-files-my-network.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I'm not sure what changed in my configuration, but I used to be able to move and change files between my PCs. Now the only way it can be done is by using the Shared Documents folder in My Network Places. I moved awhile ago and had to re-setup my network. Before I could move stuff between computers without having to send it to My Shared Docs. If I had Something on PC1 on drive C: I could Move to PG 2 Drive D: as simple as cut and paste. All my drives are shared on both PCs, just not sure what has changed. I have a massive amount of files that need to be moved from 1 to 2 and i do not want to pass through the Shared Docs folder to do it. Any Ideas?

Relevancy 63.21%

I have 2 pcs one a laptop they previously shared files but I have a new router and my main pc can not find my laptop when I press "computers near you" do i have to turn anything on also "computers near you " isnt on my laptop for some reason.

Paul

Relevancy 63.21%

I have 2 laptop with windows 10 pro 64bits on my network how can I make it can send any files to each other ?

P.s I 'm really newbie for this

Btw,Thanks in advance

A:How can I share any files on my network ?

I'm assuming these are your laptops and you don't have others on the same network otherwise there may be some security issues. All of my systems are on my personal network, however Win10 has thrown me a curve and I'm currently have issues access all of the drives on my desktop to my laptops. Following are some general steps.
Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center, on the left side click Change advance sharing settingsSee the following image for the settings
Expand the Guest or Public section and select the first option in each of the two options
Now expand the last section All Networks, see the following image for the settings (the first two options, select the first option, the 3rd option select the 2nd option)
You can now close the control panel
Now open Windows explorer and drill down to the folder you want to share
I'm assuming you want to share the documents folder
Click on the Sharing tab and then click the Share button
Here I selected Everyone because nobody else is on my network. However if somebody hacks into my network then they have access. For the permissions select Read/Write, at the bottom of the window click on the Share button. Depending on the size of the folder this can take several seconds/minutes.
You should see something like the following, note that the folder is shared and then click the Done button
Back in the Document properties windows, click on the Advance Sharing button (note that it states the folder is shared)
In the Advanced Sharing window click on the Permissions button. If you want you can add a comment in the Comments section
In the Permissions for Documents window check the Full Control under Allow if it is not checked. This will automatically check the Change and Read boxes
Now close all three windows, click OK, OK, CloseNow you can use standard mapping procedures to access the folders on each system from the other system

On my desktop I don't share anything on the C drive because I have all my data (this includes the Documents folder) on other drives. I then share at the drive level and use a SyncBackPro to sync the the Documents folder across all of my systems.

Good luck!

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/35143-how-can-i-share-any-files-my-network.html
Relevancy 63.21%

hi, hi
here is something for you that may be puzzling --

because i am not sure why you would want to share files in your network or need to.

so the question is, why you would want to share files in your network or need to?

A:Why you would want to share files in your network or need to?

Disclaimer. . . I don't use network shares; I find technologies like Dropbox to be easier to configure and more extensible.That being said, using network shares can be useful for some people. Essentially, a properly configured network share gives you the ability to grab files from your desktop while you're on your laptop across the house. The key however is making sure that they are properly configured and limited. Otherwise they turn into a massive security hole. IMHO, it's not worth the risk, but you can see why the feature exists. It was much more popular in the era before widespread high speed Internet, and the advent of recent file transfer technologies.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/528678/why-you-would-want-to-share-files-in-your-network-or-need-to/
Relevancy 63.21%

I just purchased a home theatre system, with wireless. I can connect to the router and can see the computer on the network, but it won't accept my username or password!! All my sharing and discovery settings are set to "on", and I have shared folders on my computer's network. Anyone?

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi I am having trouble with my home computers Both computers are connected to a hub which is connected to a cable modem Both computers are able to connect to the between home Cannot computers...please files help send internet Both computers are using win xp home I was never able to connect the two computers into a network and not planning to in the near future I used to be able to send large files between the computers back and forth with speeds of around mb sec on MIRC However i stopped and now i would Cannot send files between home computers...please help like to send a file to my other computer again but this time i can t When i am using mirc compB cannot get into my fserve to retrieve any files and when compA tries to push the file it does not connect Both computers are able to connect and retrieve from other fserve I then searched on the internet and done a few tests CompA has a ip that starts with xxx and compB ip starts with xxx their Cannot send files between home computers...please help default gateway starts with the Cannot send files between home computers...please help same numbers but different end numbers CompA s subnet is and compB s subnet is just now i changed the compB s subnet to but kept the xxx ip and tried sending files again and it would not work I am using cable internet so i don t think i can change the ip address CompA used to have norton internet security installed but because of the problem it has been uninstalled I have tried to disable the window s firewall on both computers but it still does not work I went into dos command and tried to ping the other computer but it came back request timeout both computers are able to ping other computers across the world but just not each other The only way i found that i could send files is using MSN but it sends at a very slow rate I used to be able to send files between the computer a few months ago using the same current specs but i don t know why it doesn t work now I don t know if the different ip make any difference but when i tried to ping other computers with different ip it still work both computers can send and recieve files from other computers but just not each other I checked pretty much everything and there doesn t seem to be any block between the computers seperate ip was purchased from the isp so that i am able to use my current setup comp connected to hub---hub connected to cable modem I would just like to know how i can get it so i can send files between the two computers again I d like to keep using internet based apps to send files rather than trying to get the windows networking to work since i have been trying for the past days nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi My home network in Australia links to the internet via a Cisco Linksys Wireless-N ADSL Gateway model WAG N That s connected Solved: computers home Two network on interfere via an ethernet cable to an XNET Ethernet Switch model SH- A which links via ethernet cables to four desktop computers and Solved: Two computers interfere on home network a Cisco Linksys Dual-N Band Wireless Router model WRT N which is in a more central position than the WAG N and so gives better wireless connection in most of the house Whenever my main desktop computer Windows XP ethernet cable to the Solved: Two computers interfere on home network SH- N is turned on it disconnects my son s laptop from the internet Windows XP wireless connection via the WRT N Similarly as long as his wireless laptop is turned on it interferes with the ethernet internet connection on my XP desktop intermittent connection Thunderbird will often not send or receive emails There seems to be no interference with the other desktops all Windows XP ethernet cables to the SH- N or my laptop Windows wireless via the WRT N I ve tried connecting the WRT N directly to the WAG N but that didn t help I d be very grateful Solved: Two computers interfere on home network for advice about how to stop the interference between my desktop and my son s laptop nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

I think i read somewhere that i could route all the comps on my home network through my computer in order to cut down on my kids getting around the firewalls and virus protection. i am fixing to go to linksys E3000 and AE2500 adapters for their comps. can anyone point me in the right direction on how to make everything run through me, so i dont have probs with the kids circumventing the network.

A:How do i route all the computers on my home network through my comp?

You could install free for home use K9 Web Protection - Free Internet Filter and Parental Control Software this way you could control what they are allowed to interact with over the tinternet and at what times etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/200365-how-do-i-route-all-computers-my-home-network-through-my-comp.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi I have a desktop and a laptop setup at home I have recently upgraded both to Windows Both were previously running Windows Home Premium and could identify each other on the network and I could access files on either PC from one or the other at any time With the upgrade to Windows I am still able to see the other 10 on Other Computers Home Network Cannot Access Windows machine on the local network but I am unable to access their folders and move files between machines The error message I get is as follows When Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network I run the network diagnosis no errors are detected and Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network it asks me if I want to explore other options The full error message is I do have shared libraries available across both machines that are part of my homegroup so I can access the video files in the hard drive of my desktop from my Laptop but only to play them - not to move them around I suspect this is either a user validation issue or a firewall issue and I'm not sure how to go about checking whether this is the case or not Any assistance much appreciated IvorTollah

A:Cannot Access Other Computers on Windows 10 Home Network

You have to map the share from the other machine. This is a known SMB-CIFS with Windows 10, no time frame known when it will be fixed.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/25915-cannot-access-other-computers-windows-10-home-network.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I have a questions regarding network sharing.
Can you only share files and folders that are in the 'Public folder' when using Vista.
I have 3 computers at home 2 using Vista and 1 using XP.
Both Vista computers can access all the files and folders on the XP computer but If I try to to access any other folder than 'Public' using the XP computer I get asked for a user name and password. I don't have passwords sert up on my computers.

A:Sharing Vista computers on home network

You have to have User Name and Password on Each computer to share files. Go to Control Panel/Users and set up passwords. Also make sure that you are sharing the files you want on that computer.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/sharing-vista-computers-on-home-network-421745.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Would like to find out why I cannot see a hard drive on another computer on my home network Here is the background I took and put a SSD as C drive on a HP Pavilion and put that HD seeing computers by other home problem drive network ST LM HN-M into the CD drive bay which makes the HD drive D Did the share of that drive right click on D Share with gt Advance sharing gt Advance Sharing gt Permissions gt Everyone In the box Permissions for Everyone checked all boxes Went to my main desktop Gigabyte amp opened Windows Explorer Can see computers that are on Gigabyte Basement Lenovo and the Pavilion Click on Pavilion and I see D amp Users Click on D and home network problem seeing drive by other computers get Network Error box Windows cannot access Pavilion-pc d You do not have permissions to access Pavilion-pc d Contact your network administrator to request access I am network administrator but do not know how to fix this Another thing I did was go to Basement computer amp opened Windows Explorer Clicked on Pavilion and it shows D home network problem seeing drive by other computers Click on D and I can see what is on that drive Can open any file like a Word doc Gigabyte is running Windows Pro -bit Lenovo is running Windows Home When I home network problem seeing drive by other computers open Windows Explorer I see the computers Click on Pavilion and get the same as the Gigabyte Cannot see what is on D Basement is running Windows Pavilion is running Windows I bet this is going to be something that I have overlooked and will be an easy fix for someone that knows what they are doing Thank you for the help

A:home network problem seeing drive by other computers

What Firewall/Internet Security software are you running?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/64859-home-network-problem-seeing-drive-other-computers.html
Relevancy 63.21%

i have a time warner modem with a linksys router attached to it associated with this network are computers one running one on computers connect cannot home network multiple vista and the other ubuntu with a vista partition both have wireless connections the ubuntu machine connects to the internet through a firefox browser with no problems the vista partition on the ubuntu machine also works the vista machine which is at vista update KB cannot get out to the internet through either a firefox multiple computers on home network one cannot connect or internet explorer browser However i can successfully ping internet locations using absolute addresses and i've gotten a yahoo response through a host tx with the help of a friend it appears that the internet is accessible on the vista machine and some unknown function stops normal eg browser initiated usage i've done and tried several things like uninstalling Norten unplugging routers modems etc without success i've scanned Firefox and the I E with AVG and anti-malware and did not find any problems do you have any suggestions on how to debug and solve this problem

A:multiple computers on home network one cannot connect

Try this:

Power off the modem

Power off the router

Plug computer directly into Modem power up Modem

Power Up Vista Machine

See if Vista Machine can connect.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/356741/multiple-computers-on-home-network-one-cannot-connect/
Relevancy 63.21%

Annoying little problem.
I have my desktop, laptop, printer and 3 Raspberry Pi's on a home network.
The laptop and the Pi's can all "see" each other on the network and in the network map but the desktop only sees the laptop,
Otherwise, all machines happily talk to each other, there are no connectivity problems.
Ideas out there?

A:Home network not showing all connected computers

have you tried this fix
Windows Explorer does not display all network computers in Windows 7 SP1 or Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/342418-home-network-not-showing-all-connected-computers.html
Relevancy 63.21%

I have computers on my home network of which are running Windows pro and the other one is Windows Vista home All of 7 Windows my on of Cannot only network. ONE - access home computers the computers are in the same workgroup I tried using homegroup as well but it worked terribly and I disabled it all of them have the same network settings file and printer sharing on network discovery on etc all of them have access to the internet and for Windows 7 - Cannot access only ONE of my computers on home network. the purposes of troubleshooting I have disable all AV software and firewalls For months I was able to connect to all of my computers from any other computer Suddenly my main office computer Windows 7 - Cannot access only ONE of my computers on home network. Windows which I'm also using as a Quickbooks file server so I NEED it to work started losing it's connection and file sharing with the others I would restart it and that would fix the problem for anywhere from minute to week Now I simply cannot connect to it at all with any Windows 7 - Cannot access only ONE of my computers on home network. computers and rebooting doesn't help The problem-computer is usually visible in the network window of the other computers but trying to access it returns an error of x cannot access check the spelling blah blah If I run Windows Network Diagnostics it says my computer is configured correctly but the other computer is the problem If i run the diagnostics on the problem-computer it says THE SAME THING So frustrating I recently learned that if I type the local IP address of one of my computers into the explorer bar of the problem-computer BOOM Instant access However If I type the IP address of the problem-computer into any of the others I get nothing at all Not even an error Just nothing This has been an EXTREMELY frustrating problem for me for the last few months and it is very much inhibiting my ability to run my home office I would really appreciate any help or suggestions Let me know if you need me to post diagnostic reports or anything Thanks everyone

A:Windows 7 - Cannot access only ONE of my computers on home network.

It turned out to be my old, crappy, wireless PCI adapter in the problem computer. Replaced it, problem solved.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/309418-windows-7-cannot-access-only-one-my-computers-home-network.html
Relevancy 63.21%

This is a similar problem to one I saw elsewhere on here.
I have three computers on my Home Network - mine, my wife's and a spare that we have. All are running XP Pro SP2 (fully updated).
My router is a NetComm 1300Plus4.
Until recently all was fine. However, now I can read both the other computers from my own, but get a message telling me that I may not have permission to access my own from either of the others - Access is denied!
Thus far, I have run the Wizard and created a Network Setup Disk and that hasn't worked. I have run the Wizard individually on each of the three machines and that hasn't worked. I have checked the Firewall settings on all three and they are the same.
Any ideas at all, because I am now totally at a loss!

A:Access denied from other computers on my Home Network

Did you try resetting the router?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/access-denied-from-other-computers-on-my-home-network.82062/