Windows Support Forum

Internet Drops Out, Consistent Speed with Modem, New Router - no solution

Q: Internet Drops Out, Consistent Speed with Modem, New Router - no solution

So basically how the title is.

My internet would drop out/freeze. Router doesn't indicate any change in service. I plug my laptop into the modem, and have prime speeds.

Restart the router. Works for awhile.
Reinstalled the firmware manually on the router.
Set the Channel off of "Auto" and put on various options of 9, 10, 11 to avoid clashes with other networks.

Freezes. Now the router indicates there's no connection. Drag the cord out of modem and test. Prime speeds.

Okay, screw this - I went and bought a new router yesterday because, sure, that Belkin one was 2-3 years old. Set it up with same channel settings, etc.
Same.
Freaking.
Thing.

I have a laptop that runs a VPN (for work) that uses it, plus multiple iphones (3) and ipads (2) an AppleTV and a Samsung smart TV.

Like, help me please here.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Internet Drops Out, Consistent Speed with Modem, New Router - no solution

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Internet Drops Out, Consistent Speed with Modem, New Router - no solution

OK, but lets solve on thing at a time 1) ignore the VPN at work and let's get the home router stabilized.
The mobile devices are difficult to diagnose, so 2) stick with the PC for now.

Standard questions:

did you update the ethernet & wifi drivers on the PC?
have you looked to ensure your new router has the latest firmware?
*if* you have a DSL connection to the ISP, do you have the line filters on EVERY device connected to the phone line EXCEPT the line to the modem? *MUST HAVE*
Got to get these right first.

THEN, find the MTU that's right for you AT HOME and set that into the new router:

get a command prompt
ping -l 1500 -f 8.8.8.8
as long as you see Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set., reduce the 1500 by 8 and iterate with the new number
:: record the MTU that works for your ISP at home
The router conf page is accessible using your browser and HTTP://your_router_address/
You need the router password
set the new MTU. Also set a new router password and save the settngs.

The wired connection should be solid at this point.

The wifi should also be better, as long as you avoid other stations with the same channel.
I assume you've see the post re inSSIDER for wifi setup.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-drops-out-consistent-speed-with-modem-new-router-no-solution.212305/
Relevancy 91.59%

My internet will drop permently if i connect my router ot my modem. I have purchased a wireless router and intended to use it with my Iphone and when firends come over with laptops they could use it as well. Because i live on 3 and a half acres i don't need to protect it well it doesn't bother me. For a couple of days it was working fine until i was playing a game and my internet just dropped and i investigated the issue and found when i unplug the router which is connect to my modems first slot (Ethernet cable) the internet will come back on but when i put the cord back in my net drops. ive tried changing the slots and trying different cables. I tried to google the issue and only found post about wireless internet dropping not all of my net dropping.
Thanks, Flyer.

A:Internet drops when using Modem + Router

Can I assume that even hardwired connections through the router also fail ?
Just to clarify.
Also,just to be sure that all is cabled and started correctly:
Tips on setting up broadband connection, courtesy of Johnwill

You don't need any setup disk to configure a broadband router.
Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on. The following procedure should get you a connection with any broadband modem that is configured to use DHCP for the router connection, such as cable modems, and many DSL modems. If you require PPPoE configuration for the DSL modem, that will have to be configured to match the ISP requirements.
• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
• Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
• Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
• Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
• Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
• Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

NOTE: For the items below in red surrounded with < >, see comments below for the actual information content, they are value substitutions from the previous command output!

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following commands one at a time, followed by the Enter key:

IPCONFIG /ALL

PING <computer_IP_address>

PING <default_gateway_address>

PING <dns_servers>

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

Can I also see this at failure.
Wifi test exe. Hint from Johnwill

Download and run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspecto from
www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
on the problem machine. Post a screen shot of the main screen here.

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file. To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button
to upload it here.

Note that this application requires NET Framework to run. If you get an error about a missing function, download and install NET Framework.

Full details are here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_...g_a_Screenshot

Also,any errror msgs at failure ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-drops-when-using-modem-router.991593/
Relevancy 86.43%

Immediately after a power outage my internet connection predictably drops after a set period of time or usage It is either after about min or - mins of watching Netflix I have a modem hooked up to a wireless router and use the network on my iPhone laptop and Roku Since the problem I have dropped to just having my laptop connected but this has not helped The wireless network will disappear after the - mins predictably connection power wireless internet router after drops outage Modem and the light on the modem and router will show no internet all other lights are normal Internet connection will be reestablished if I either unplug both the modem and the router not just one or the other OR if I unplug the ethernet line from the modem to the router and plug it directly into my laptop the internet light on the modem will go from quot off quot to quot on quot Despite internet connection working from transferring from the router to the laptop if I Modem and wireless router predictably drops internet connection after power outage connect it back to the router the internet lights goes off again resolves upon unplugging and plugging modem and router back in The internet has not yet dropped when it is physically plugged into my laptop I have tried the following -Powercycling temp fix until it crashes again -Plugging into a different outlet Modem and wireless router predictably drops internet connection after power outage I cannot connect it to a different phone line only have with DSL Also I do not have phone service or cable just internet via DSL -Resetting modem -Resetting different routers -Calling ISP their test of the modem was inconclusive Again my wifi does not see my network whenever the internet is dropped or the ethernet cord is unplugged from the modem The outlets I have it plugged into has some type of electrical issue two electrical devices have shorted out in the room they are in I do not think this issue is electrical everything seems to have constant power unless the power outage shorted out something in the modem Below are some details of my modem and router I will provide any additional info requested I will gladly buy a new modem but I want to see if it can be fixed first My modem Westell WireSpeed Dual Connect Model A - - I have no idea what the stats below are I just saw similar things in other forum posts I saw before posting this I ll be happy to provide more DSL Statistics Line State Up Modulation G DMT-Mode Data Path Interleaved SN Margin db --Down Stream Path --Up Stream Path not defined Line Attenuation db --Down Stream Path --Up Stream Path not defined CRC Errors --Down Stream Path --Up Stream Path Router Linksys E keep in mind I tried another completely different brand and it had identical problems Internet Connection Type Automatic Config - DHCP I tried PPPoE and it never got a valid IP address from my ISP I can provide more details upon request nbsp

A:Modem and wireless router predictably drops internet connection after power outage

The outlets I have it plugged into has some type of electrical issue, two electrical devices have shorted out in the room they are in.Click to expand...

After you write that I cannot understand how you can then say

I do not think this issue is electricalClick to expand...

I was thinking electrical just from the thread title. Reinforced by your first five words: "Immediately after a power outage."

Whether the Westell and/or Linksys is damaged or if the whole cause is the "funny" electrical system I cannot tell. I think you should have a qualified electrician check out the system.

Internet Connection Type: Automatic Config - DHCP (I tried PPPoE and it never got a valid IP address from my ISP)Click to expand...

You tried PPPoE where? Unless you have the Westell bridged the PPPoE is specified in the WAN section of its router portion.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/modem-and-wireless-router-predictably-drops-internet-connection-after-power-outage.1086022/
Relevancy 81.27%

I just bought a new modem to replace the one I am renting from Comcast (Motorola SB6120: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16825122009). I have been using an Encore (EHH-WI-G) 802.11g 54Mbps router.

I got everything hooked up last night and I noticed that when I was hooked up directly to the modem (ethernet), my internet was super fast. When I hooked up the wireless router and accessed the internet through it, my speed was noticeably slower. I used speedtest.net to see what my speeds were like:

Wired to modem: download 50+ Mbps (I don't know how in the world it read this high...I'm not even paying for these speeds from Comcast)

Wireless through router: download only around 5 Mbps

Can someone explain this to me? Is there a setting on my router that is restricting the speed in some way?

A:Internet speed - via wireless router (slow) vs. via modem (fast)

Have you tried downloading files in both wireless & wired what speed did u get in both modes.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-speed-via-wireless-router-slow-vs-via-modem-fast.155846/
Relevancy 80.41%

hi i have had the Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router for a while now and have had a tesco's 2.2mbs connection but i have just upgreaded to a tiscali 8mbs connection, i no i can get the full 8mbs speed through the supplied modem but am just wonederind if the Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router's buitl in modem is fast enogh to get the full 8mps or if it wil run slower. would be great to no i was just wondering

A:Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless-G Router WHAT IS ITS MAX INTERNET CONNECTION SPEED

There THe belkin modem/gateway shouldnt limit your speed capabilities. You should be able to find the speed listed inside the modem's status page. To do this..
Click start>run>In run type CMD
In the black window type IPCONFIG and then enter. Note down your default gateway.
Open a browser window and enter the gateway's address into it. Click go
This should take you to your gateways graphical user interface.
Look for a status tab or see if it lists connection speeds on the general page.

Also you can test speeds at different sites. Google search broadband speed test and choose 1 of the millions of sites

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/belkin-adsl-modem-with-wireless-g-router-what-is-its-max-internet-connection-speed.509394/
Relevancy 78.69%

If I do a direct connect from my cable modem to my PC my speeds are 1.4Mbps to 2Mbps. But when I hook up my new Belkin router and direct connect the best I get is 750Kbps. (The wireless connection between the router and my computer is just as bad, which is why I started direct-connecting to test everything out.)

This is a NEW Belkin G router with 64bit WEP turned 'on'. (But WEP shouldn't make a difference in my direct-connect speeds, right?)

Any suggestions before I throw this router up on eBay and start over?

A:Cable modem speed drops dramatically when...

Did you reset the router to factory defaults and test it that way with the direct connect? I can't imagine the router having that much effect on wired connections.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cable-modem-speed-drops-dramatically-when.471345/
Relevancy 76.54%

Hi all. Got a Moto SBG6580 modem/router about a month ago. Several times now, it has kicked out and just sits there rebooting. The "recieve" light will light for a bit but the "send" light will blink a bit and then drop back to just the "recieve".

I've tried:
1) letting it just sit there...sometimes it will reset itself, sometimes not
2) pluggin/unplugging a dozen times
3) pushing the reset button (seems to have the same effect as #2)

It can be out for several hours but if I turn it on/off enough times it will eventually connect again.

Any ideas? Is this a bad modem or is this a Comcast/Xfinity problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sbg6580-modem-router-drops-out.1080801/
Relevancy 76.54%

I am using a Belkin Wireless Router to get DSL internet from my downstairs computer (the computer i use is upstairs). I've never had any problems with it, but over the past week it has been acting funny. I'll be using the internet, playing an online game, when everything goes to a crawl. I'll check the icon in the task bar, and it says the speed had droppes all the way to 1.0 Mbps. Slowly, it will climb back to normal. Then a while later, drop again. The thing normally hovers between 52.0 Mbps and 48.0 Mbps.

I don't know what the problem is, but I do know it's annoying the hell out of me. Any suggestions?

A:Periodic Drops In Speed With a Router

This is the curse of wireless. They all dip sometimes but down to 1.0 is pretty bad. First, change the channel. If it is a 54G channels 1, 6, and 11 don't overlap so go to one of those first (usually channel ,1 is default) so switch to channel 6 and see what happens (helped me with signal losses). Do you have a 2.4 GHZ wireless phone? They interfere big time with wireless routers because they transmit a stronger signal in the same frequency band. Adjust it's channel too, as far away from the routers as possible or better yet junk it and get a 5.0GHZ phone. Move the router around but upstairs to downstairs is tough regardless signal-wise. Try this before spending more money on goodies like boosters etc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/periodic-drops-in-speed-with-a-router.23648/
Relevancy 76.11%

Hi; I have a Dynalink router and on plan which I get really nice speeds for me (downloads a few megabytes a second), using Windows XP via ethernet.
However as soon as a laptop is also plugged in also via ethernet and streams videos, the internet on my Windows XP computer is so slow, web pages can barely open.
Is there anyone to somehow make both of them at least able to both use the internet? What's the problem? Thanks in advance for any help

A:Internet Speed; Fast but as soon as shared, drops down to unusable speed

However as soon as a laptop is also plugged in also via ethernet and streams videos,Click to expand...

sounds like the laptop is hogging all the bandwidth

what speed do you actually have - via www.speedtest.net ?

what happens if the laptop is connected and not streaming videos - it may also have a number of downloads - updates running in the background

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-speed-fast-but-as-soon-as-shared-drops-down-to-unusable-speed.1071015/
Relevancy 74.82%

Hi all First thanks in advance for the help from anyone and everyone My family bought a new router ASUS RT AC U which on Ethernet is pretty decent It gets Mbps on speedtest net However when I try to go on wifi no matter what network adapter I use the speed never breaks Mbps which is not exactly sufficient and drops even more as I move into my Speed router, HP laptop, on USB ASUS Mercury drops wi-fi, room which is further away and Speed drops on wi-fi, ASUS router, HP laptop, Mercury USB places a concrete wall between my laptop phone tablets Speed drops on wi-fi, ASUS router, HP laptop, Mercury USB and the router We have one quot homeplug quot that routes the network via ethernet through our power sockets but this is reserved for the desktop the speed here is insignificant as the desktop isn't used much My current laptop is the HP envy sleekbook -k tx which supposedly has b g n adapter Also a few other laptops wanted to benefit from the new router and our Mbps internet optic fiber service plan so we purchased a Mercury MW TV usb receiver which detects as a Realtek device RTL SU for some reason thanks China The CD that came along with it does not include a working driver so I just tried out of the top results I could find on the internet I have messed with a lot of settings in vain my internet connection is still ridiculously slow on wi-fi Any advice would be appreciated I am ready to post any additional information should it be required Thanks again in anticipation Your responses will be read with gratitude

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/51058-speed-drops-wi-fi-asus-router-hp-laptop-mercury-usb.html
Relevancy 73.96%

I have a small home network - wired connections wireless one of the wireless connections is a quot Win Home premium quot HP laptop My router of years is a Netgear WPN g b MIMO max mbps in theory I just switched from DSL to cable for internet Comcast modem is DPC The cable internet service has been running for day Q Will an older router have problems with the switch to mbps DSL to mbps cable internet I'm noticing frequent router dropouts that seem to be connected to my Win laptop using its wireless connection Then again I'm not sure if wireless and drops of intermittent modem router? Incompatibility cable it's just my router flaking out When it drops out all the wireless and wired connections lose their LAN connections I can't ping any machines etc If I switch back to using my DSL I don't see this problem If I'm using a quot DOCSIS cable Incompatibility of cable modem and wireless router? intermittent drops modem quot DPC do I need to upgrade my router n If so will any N router be reasonable or do I need to look for certain specs If I do upgrade my router do I also need to buy wireless NIC's of the same vendor type in order to achieve decent wireless speed or will my built-in wireless in my HP Win laptop suffice Thanks Fran Maurais fmaurais comcast net

A:Incompatibility of cable modem and wireless router? intermittent drops

Quote: Originally Posted by fmaurais

I have a small home network (3-4 wired connections, 2 wireless, one of the wireless connections is a "Win7 Home premium" HP laptop).
My router of 6+ years is a Netgear WPN824 (802.11g/b, MIMO, max 108 mbps in theory).
I just switched from DSL to cable for internet (Comcast, modem is DPC3000). The cable internet service has been running for 1 day.

Q: Will an older router have problems with the switch to 1 mbps DSL to 12 mbps cable internet?

I'm noticing frequent router dropouts that seem to be connected to my Win7 laptop using its wireless connection. Then again, I'm not sure if it's just my router flaking out. When it drops out, *all* the wireless and wired connections lose their LAN connections. I can't ping any machines, etc. If I switch back to using my DSL, I don't see this problem.

If I'm using a "DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem" (DPC3000), do I need to upgrade my router (802.11n)?
If so, will any 802.11N router be reasonable, or do I need to look for certain specs?

If I *do* upgrade my router, do I also need to buy wireless NIC's of the same vendor/type in order to achieve decent wireless speed, or will my built-in wireless in my HP Win7 laptop suffice?

Thanks,
Fran Maurais
[email protected]

Perhaps upgrading the routers firmware will help fix this problem.
You will need to find out which version of this router you have in order to obtain the correct firmware version.
WPN824 Model

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/215913-incompatibility-cable-modem-wireless-router-intermittent-drops.html
Relevancy 73.96%

I have a dell inspiron laptop. Core i3. It works fantastically. However, it will randomly disconnect from the internet and then reconnect (usually) soon after. Sometimes I need to restart the computer, or the modem/router but that's only a temporary fix. It prevents me from playing any multiplayer games or talking with people. Sometimes I can't even get Netflix to run because of it. Any suggestions? Thanks.

And by the way, my Macbook works fine.

A:Windows 7 laptop drops connection when my router and modem are working

You should look for wireless drivers from the manufacturer.

Also look for a firmware update. A lot of times a firmware update on the router will fix a disconnection issue.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/274802-windows-7-laptop-drops-connection-when-my-router-modem-working.html
Relevancy 72.67%

Hey,

The company that I work for uses a Mac AirPort for their router. I use a PC with Windows 7 for most of my work, although I occasionally use a Mac Laptop that the workplace provides.

My PC is constantly losing its connection to the network. I will be using the Internet when suddenly everything stops loading. If I disconnect and reconnect to the Internet, it works fine again, although it will stop being a "smooth" connection within a few minutes.

However, the Macbook is always connected when I am having these problems. I can't use the Macbook all of the time because it is used by many employees.

My question is: what is causing this problem? And will I be able to fix it?

A:Problem With Consistent Internet Connection - Windows 7 vs. Mac Router

any other windows machines using the router

I would check the dns
do the following when its working and then repeat all the tests when it fails

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste

Ping Tests
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

Start> Run {search bar in Vista/W7}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
post back results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Quote:

For your information only
these tests will check various stages of the connection, the first ping test, ping default gateway checks to see if you still have a connection to the router the next two
Ping google.com & Ping 209.183.226.152 tests the connection to internet , one by name and one by number which checks that the dns is working

Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector
Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.
Wi-Fi Inspector | Xirrus
Direct link to the program is here http://wpc.475a.edgecastcdn.net/0047...etup.1.2.0.exe

{If the above link does not work heres another link http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_download/fid,77196-order,4/download.html}

Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

A user guide is available here http://www.xirrus.com/Products/Wi-Fi...uide1-2-0.aspx

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top leftha... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problem-with-consistent-internet-connection-windows-7-vs-mac-router-639215.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Any time we receive a call on the landline amp somebody answers or the answering machine picks up the connectivity will drop Not a terribly huge deal but I play a lot of online games amp they won t stand for it constantly getting dropped from GTA is no fun So I had done some research into running a quot home run quot using a POTS splitter to isolate the data amp voice traffic from each other After some chasing of wires I got it successfully running last night Modem DSL Internet Drops or for the most part Problem is the modem will not get service when connected to the dedicated data line line black amp yellow pair though the phone gets a dial tone on both DSL Modem Drops Internet To my knowledge the internal network works fine so I assume it doesn t have any effect on Internet connectivity the router isn t doing the pppoe side of things it s an asus RT- U Modem Comtrend CT- T Suttle Outdoor POTS Splitter ISP Snowcrest local provider also providing landline nbsp

Relevancy 70.95%

Hi

ok well i rebooted my computer coz of all the problems i was having previously and i am still having the same problem. I tested my internet connection with nothing else running at all and still my speed goes up and then drops right down. Do you think it could possibly have anything to do with the modem itself? Its a Speedtouch 3330

A:Internet speed drops

im sorry but what was the original problem?
what software or website did you visit to test the speed of your connection?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-speed-drops.446685/
Relevancy 70.95%

I'm now on vacation at my mum, internet connection: 10Mbit/10Mbit, for a couple of months and therefore I have my desktop computer with me. After a couple of minutes downloading at 1,1 MB/s the speed drops below 100 kB/s, and won't return to normal speed until I restart the computer and the same thing happens again. I didn't have this problem at my house, internet connection: 5Mbit/1Mbit, it occurred when I got here. I have also reinstalled windows 7, but no change.
I'm connected to a router, Linksys WRT54GL running DD-WRT v24-sp2, with a Siemens Gigaset usb stick 54. I have restarted, and cleared the router, but no change.
My brother's laptop running vista is fine, full download speed all the way, and on his desktop computer with win 7, full speed there also.

So my download speed drops to 10%, and upload to about 50& after some time.
Any suggestions??

A:Internet speed drops, win 7

Quote: Originally Posted by Mizzhell

I'm now on vacation at my mum, internet connection: 10Mbit/10Mbit, for a couple of months and therefore I have my desktop computer with me. After a couple of minutes downloading at 1,1 MB/s the speed drops below 100 kB/s, and won't return to normal speed until I restart the computer and the same thing happens again. I didn't have this problem at my house, internet connection: 5Mbit/1Mbit, it occurred when I got here. I have also reinstalled windows 7, but no change.
I'm connected to a router, Linksys WRT54GL running DD-WRT v24-sp2, with a Siemens Gigaset usb stick 54. I have restarted, and cleared the router, but no change.
My brother's laptop running vista is fine, full download speed all the way, and on his desktop computer with win 7, full speed there also.

So my download speed drops to 10%, and upload to about 50& after some time.
Any suggestions??

I will bet you are running "homegroup". It has connectivity issues on some mixed systems. You can verify it is the problem by setting up a new network connection using workgroup instead. If it fixes the problem you can disable IPv6 and kill homegroup.

Let us know if you need help with this

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/88623-internet-speed-drops-win-7-a.html
Relevancy 70.52%

recently i have been facing slow speed problems
so every time i log on to my 3com router status page i find that the upload is 256 kbs and download is 32 kbs and it should be 1024 kbs
when i restart the router , the speed jumps to 1024 then an hour or more it sets back to 32 kbs
what can i do ?
is the router defective?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-download-speed-drops.1023424/
Relevancy 70.52%

Hi.When I download from the Internet, my speed is like 10-40 Kb/s.My ISP is Globe(Philippines).Here is the Speedtest.net result:I remember, on October 23, 2010, I had a huge download speed, 130-200 Kb/s.My antivirus malfunctioned that time.(Norton 360, cannot open GUI)So I reinstalled a new AV,(Norton Internet Security)but the download speed suddenly drops.Could the AV software be causing problems?Thanks.-Machinery-

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/358423/internet-download-speed-drops/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hello ....
every time i download something ,the internet speed start very good sometimes its 6 Mb and sometimes its 1 Mb
this is an example :
and after 40 seconds or more its dropped to the half to 50 KB :

this problem is so annoying :'(

driver of network card is updated :
ipconfig /all :
screenshot of xirros :
guys sorry if u want more information about the problem tell me and ill answer quickly . i showed u all the information i know .

and thanks a lot i appreciated so much

A:Why my internet download speed drops to half

no one commented

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/36623-why-my-internet-download-speed-drops-half.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi We recently bought a new LG internet tv Ever since then we have had major issues with our internet Whenever it is turned on the internet speed drops significantly making it near impossible to watch a video online I have read somewhere that this could be due to the TV causing interference with the wifi but the strange thing is it even stops me from going online on my xbox which is connected straight to the router by ethernet cable The effect is so immediate and obvious that I can be streaming netflix on my xbox hear the tv get turned on drops when turned by when connected is ethernet speed Internet on TV even in the other room and instantly get disconnected from live or the video starts trying to buffer forever We don t actually use the internet function on the tv and the problem remains whether it is connected to our router or not The TV is approximately - metres away and a direct line Internet speed drops when TV is turned on even when connected by ethernet from it to the router would go through a wall and a door Any help anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated Apologies in Internet speed drops when TV is turned on even when connected by ethernet advance if I have posted this in the wrong section I wasn t sure where to post it nbsp

A:Internet speed drops when TV is turned on even when connected by ethernet

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-speed-drops-when-tv-is-turned-on-even-when-connected-by-ethernet.1110546/
Relevancy 68.37%

Speed

We recently had Verizon HiSpeed (speeds up to 768 Kbps) installed with Westell(Model 327W) modem/router connected to our desktop.
When we place cursor over the "Network" connection in lower right of screen (of desktoop) it states:
The Internet (2)
Spreed 10.0 Mbps
Sent 141,926 bytes
Received 921,712 bytes

However, in the laptop, when we place the cursor over the "Network" connection, we see:
Speed 36Mbps
Signal Strength Excellent
Status Connected.

What we would like to know is why does our desktop show SPEED of "10.0 Mbps"

while the laptop shows:
SPEED of "36.0 Mbps?"
(Connection speed on both shows: download 705 kbps; upload 133 kbps.)

Is this something to be very worried/concerned about? We are senior citizens and the speed when we connect to Internet appears to be fine as far as we are concerned.
Thanks

Relevancy 68.37%

I've got 15 Mbps internet service from the cable company. When just one computer is connected to the modem without the router, the speeds average about 8-9 Mbps. However, when we attach the router to share the internet, speeds drop off significantly, like down to about 1-1.5 Mbps average and max at about 2-3 Mbps (around 3000 KB/s) and that's when one computer is downloading and the other computer is idle. The router says its capable of 54 Mbps and both computers have 10/100 ethernet adapters. Also, I'm using another router as a repeater since we don't have a long enough cable from where the one router hooked into the modem is.

I don't understand how the router is restricting the speeds since me and my roommate share large files (4-5 gigs sometimes) and we can transfer files of that size in like 4-5 minutes.

Relevancy 67.94%

Hello thank you for taking the time to help me out with this problem A few days ago my internet started really acting up Not the connection to the router the speed would slow dramatically at random points and then come back up to normal speed I could deal with this except for the fact that I run youtube com grimandjakegames a gaming YouTube channel This problem has made me unable to play any online games without the internet connection failing It will run fine for a while but then all of the sudden it just stops and then I'm disconnected from the server I've contacted my ISP but they don't seem to know anything and just had me reset my modem which did nothing The reason I am so confused is because nothing changed from when the internet was working fine to when it wasn't This lead me to believe it was the ISP's problem but maybe some of you could help If you need any more info just reply below when Internet Connection Games Drops Speed Fluctuations. Playing and I will try to help you out as best I can Thanks Hicoga

Relevancy 67.51%

I'm having some serious issues with my internet speed I find Internet can't solution loss, speed am on Virgin Media mb with the ISP provided router We have computer connected via wires and several wireless devices In the last month my computer has been suffering some serious internet issues My regular connection on speedtest net would give - mb s in the Internet speed loss, can't find solution last month after downloading or streaming video online my internet connection would become unusable and sitting around mb s All the other computers and devices on the router remain fine I have tried updating drivers re-installing network devices resetting network settings and different NICs I've also reset the router repeatedly and also tried disabling the firewall As a last ditch effort I re-formatted my computer and re-installed Win The connection worked fine for a while until I was re-downloading some software and the connection went again Like I previously mentioned I have tried different NICs wired and wireless The issues remains on both I've run out of ideas

A:Internet speed loss, can't find solution

Welcome to the Seven Forums.

Sorry that no one had any suggestions on your post back in December. I cannot think of anything for you to try - but I have asked others to stop by your thread and see what comes to their minds.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/276989-internet-speed-loss-cant-find-solution.html
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a cable modem. I use a Netgear WGR614v6 wireless router. It is connected directly to one computer and through a wireless to another. A few days ago, it started dropping the internet connection. Everything on the modem is fine and if I go through the modem directly, it works. I have tried rebooting everything, upgrading the firmware, resetting the router and it is still dropping. I can get it to pick back up by doing a release/renew on the router but this isn't an acceptable solution. Last night, it was dropping about every five minutes or so.

Can you help?

A:Router drops internet connection repeatedly

Are you in a suitable location to receive signal? And, if so, what is your signal strength?

~Simon

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/router-drops-internet-connection-repeatedly.562764/
Relevancy 66.65%

Okay so I recently moved into an apartment like setting where aprox devices are connected to the wifi Most being phones excluding the two laptops and one ps The problem I'm getting is i'll lose connection to the internet but no yellow triangle error appears in on the wifi logo in the bottom right corner Router Connected I but ?? To Internet Stay Drops I seem to be the only device on the network experiencing this problem If i disconnect myself and reconnect myself then i'm good for anywhere from seconds to minutes I tried messing around with some settings within my router but nothing seems to work I even tried kicking every device off except for me and I still get kicked off This laptop is only two weeks old and the first thing I did was put Spy-Bot S amp D on it It seems to have excellent connection Internet Drops but I Stay Connected To Router ?? when I am connected downloaded a game and was getting mbps I have comcast Internet Drops but I Stay Connected To Router ?? internet with the following router Model DPC B Vendor Cisco Hardware Revision Processor Speed MHz DRAM MB Flash MB Here's some logs that I found in the router ------event logs------ Docsis No Ranging Response received - T time-out Critical Docsis No Ranging Response received - T time-out Critical Dhcpc erouter T Expired Enter Renew State Notice Docsis No Ranging Response received - T time-out Critical Docsis No Ranging Response received - T time-out Critical Docsis No Ranging Response received - T time-out Critical Docsis No Ranging Response received - T time-out Critical Docsis No Ranging Response received - T time-out Critical Docsis No Ranging Response received - T time-out Critical Docsis No Ranging Response received - T time-out Critical Docsis No Ranging Response Internet Drops but I Stay Connected To Router ?? received - T time-out Critical Docsis No Ranging Response received - T time-out Critical Dhcpc erouter T Expired Enter Renew State Notice Docsis No Ranging Response received - T time-out Critical Docsis No Ranging Response received - T time-out Critical -----firewall logs----- FW IPv INPUT drop Attempts Firewall Blocked FW IPv FORWARD drop Attempts Firewall Blocked Device MAC Attempts Device Blocked Device MAC Attempts Device Blocked FW IPv INPUT drop Attempts Firewall Blocked Device MAC Attempts Device Blocked Device MAC Attempts Device Blocked Device MAC Attempts Device Blocked ----my firewall is set to completely open btw not sure why its blocking any device connected to it I get disconnected either way no firewall or light firewall System Information Machine name CREATIVE-PC Operating System Windows Professional -bit Build Service Pack win sp rtm - Language English Regional Setting English System Manufacturer TOSHIBA System Model Satellite A BIOS InsydeH O Version Processor Pentium reg Dual-Core CPU T GHz CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM Available OS Memory MB RAM Page File MB used MB available Windows Dir C Windows DirectX Version DirectX DX I hope this is enough information to get an answer I want to throw this laptop through my window Thank You

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/612215/internet-drops-but-i-stay-connected-to-router/
Relevancy 66.65%

I have a problem where out of nowhere the internet goes out i cant even access the my router address the thing is that my macbook that's connected to the router wirelessly even sometimes. Random drops, internet access can't router never loses connection when my desktop that's wired loses connection the macbook Random internet drops, can't even access router sometimes. is still fine virus scan found a trojan yesterday but i deleted the files that Active Virus Shield Random internet drops, can't even access router sometimes. found after doing a scan today i found none on the virus scan ad-aware SE finds this registry problem every time tho no matter how many times ad-aware removes it Name Windows Category Vulnerability Object Type RegData Size Bytes Location software microsoft windows nt currentversion winlogon quot Shell quot explorer exe scvhost exe Last Activity - - Relevance Low TAC index Comment Description General Windows Security Issue Your system security may be compromised The specifics of the possible compromised item are listed in the comments section Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer exe C WINDOWS scvhost exe C Program Files Common Files AOL ACS AOLAcsd exe C Program Files Common Files AOL TopSpeed aoltsmon exe C Other Active Virus Shield avp exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C WINDOWS system HPZipm exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system MsPMSPSv exe C Program Files Microsoft IntelliType Pro type exe C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint point exe C Sound Blaster X-Fi DVDAudio CTDVDDET EXE C Program Files Creative Shared Files Module Loader DLLML exe C Sound Blaster X-Fi Volume Panel VolPanel exe C WINDOWS CTHELPER EXE C WINDOWS system CTXFIHLP EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM CTXFISPI EXE C Other iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files C-Media Middleware CmSkype exe C Other Active Virus Shield avp exe C Other Atomic Alarm Clock AtomicAlarmClock exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C America Online waol exe C Other iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Creative ShareDLL CADI NotiMan exe C America Online shellmon exe C Other iTunes iTunes exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C Other Soulseek slsk exe C Other MySpace IM MySpaceIM exe C Other Ad-Aware SE Personal Ad-Aware exe C WINDOWS system notepad exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Other HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - URLSearchHook no name - CFBFAE - A - D - CB- C FD - no file F - REG system ini Shell Explorer exe scvhost exe F - REG win ini run C WINDOWS scvhost exe O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO no name - E A A C-F -DDA - C- D A B FC - blank file missing O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run type quot C Program Files Microsoft IntelliType Pro type exe quot O - HKLM Run IntelliPoint quot C Program Files Microsoft IntelliPoint point exe quot O - HKLM Run CTDVDDET quot C Sound Blaster X-Fi DVDAudio CTDVDDET EXE quot O - HKLM Run RCSystem quot C Program Files Creative Shared Fil... Read more

A:Random internet drops, can't even access router sometimes.

You have a variant of the SDbot virus showing in your log. Even though the Virus has been identified and can be killed, because of it's backdoor functionality, there is no way to be sure what information has been stolen from your system. If you do any banking or have recently paid for goods or services online you will need to change all passwords where applicable and it would be wise to contact your bank or credit card company to inform them of your situation. This also applies to passwords for any confidential sites you use such as Paypal, Ebay, Email etc... The infection you have has the ability to download and execute files, log keystrokes, Redirect connections, Sniff sent packets for information & Steal personal information so it is a very serious threat.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Download SDFix and save it to your Desktop.

Double click SDFix.exe and it will extract the files to %systemdrive%
(Drive that contains the Windows Directory, typically C:\SDFix)

Please then reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :Restart your computer
After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
Instead of Windows loading as normal, the Advanced Options Menu should appear;
Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press Enter.
Choose your usual account.
Open the extracted SDFix folder and double click RunThis.bat to start the script.
Type Y to begin the cleanup process.
It will remove any Trojan Services and Registry Entries that it finds then prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
When the PC restarts the Fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then display Finished, press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.
Once the desktop icons load the SDFix report will open on screen and also save into the SDFix folder as Report.txt
(Report.txt will also be copied to Clipboard ready for posting back on the forum).
Finally paste the contents of the Report.txt back on the forum with a new HijackThis log

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/random-internet-drops-cant-even-access-router-sometimes-133903.html
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi, this issue has been going on for a few weeks now, i will be using the internet and it will suddenly drop out. My computer is connected to my router, this connection is fine it is just the INTERNET connection that drops out. When this happens all of the computers on the network are affected, please help! If any extra information is required just ask.

Relevancy 66.22%

Hello all Problem Recently I have been getting x freezes at bootup recovery no XP 0x24 - Consistent during via solution Ubuntu? boot, at XP logo whether booting into Safe Mode Consistent 0x24 during XP boot, no recovery - solution via Ubuntu? Last known settings or Normally I m aware this points to HDD failure driver of some kind but the drive itself seems to be working fine I dual boot into Linux and mount the Windows partition of the same HDD and can see and access all files just fine I do have an original XP disc but when I try to enter the Recovery Console or go for the XP new install option it hangs prematurely Consistent 0x24 during XP boot, no recovery - solution via Ubuntu? at the quot Examining MB Disk at Id on bus on atapi quot Thus I cannot do an XP recovery console nor chkdsk which is what most forums seem to be recommending I wish I could run chkdsk r but I can t reach a command line and as far as I know this cannot be virtually run easily from Linux By the way I have let MemTest do a few passes on my RAM and it seems to be OK I m fairly confident this is a non-issue Relevant specs Dual boot Ubuntu Hedghog Windows XP SP Maxtor gb HDD years old My questions for you all how can I get to a command line to run chkdsk when I essentially can t boot to HDD nor XP CD As this seems to be a spontaneous onset of BSOD on an otherwise healthy computer what are the chances of this being a hardware failure What Ubuntu utilities can be used to fix a Windows partition on the same HDD Thanks nbsp

A:Consistent 0x24 during XP boot, no recovery - solution via Ubuntu?

Replace the hard drive and save the old drive to try recovering data with it set as a second drive. Can you boot from the XP install disc? If you can, you can format or attempt to format the hard drive there

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/consistent-0x24-during-xp-boot-no-recovery-solution-via-ubuntu.174945/
Relevancy 65.79%

Hey guys So i've been having internet Router drops Pc's Urgent restore. more. factory There's after some hair pulling issues lately with my internet Here's a short back story to get things started So bout a month ago our house got a free ADSL to Cablenet upgrade With that we got much better and well deserved upload speed and download speed boost along with a new Cable Modem router That being the Arris DG A Our problems started directly after that The internet would cut out randomly on some devices for a bit then come back Then it only happened with my pc After a while it went away After some investigation it turned out that our Pc's internet drops after Router factory restore. There's more. Urgent ISP was just busy upgrading cables constantly Which apparently caused that The issues i was having on this pc was that some web pages wouldn't load while others that i have up would work to some extent After some time passed that went away Fast forward to three nights ago I was trying to port forward Minecraft again after one of my friends failed to join my server Now prior to this all of my ports worked fine They were all open Pc's internet drops after Router factory restore. There's more. Urgent including the one for Minecraft But after hours worth of failed attempts i just couldn't seem to open the port Until i did a factory restore on the router and it worked Now the problem i'm having is that my internet keeps dropping every to minutes it happened semi regularly at a minute interval And I've done EVERYTHING in the book to fix it Done power cycles reconfigured my router about times to the correct settings set up a static IP again and again and again on my pc and still Nothing Yet i would also assume that this only happened because of the power outage we recently had Aside from that everything looks fine on my pc Uninstalled and Reinstalled my network drivers and everything The only thing i can do when this happens that lets me BROWSE the internet using chrome to an extent is by typing in quot ipconfig release quot then quot ipconfig renew quot in my CMD Aside from that all the power management settings for the network on my pc are turned off Yet im sure that if i called my ISP today or Monday they would tell me the problem is with my PC The only thing that permanently fixes this issue is if i restored the router with a save file i thankfully made prior to resetting it to a factory restored state Yet with that old restore file i cant port forward for some reason it would be great if someone could help me fix this issue or give me some clues as to what it could be Oh and i'm using a wired Ethernet connection When my internet drops it only drops on my connected computer Does not drop with my phone that's on the WiFi signal I really really really need help And thanks again Here's my CMD log Code Windows IP Configuration Host Name Phantom-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R Ethernet Connection I -V Physical Address -D - -EE- -BB DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address e b c a f Preferred Temporary IPv Address b f a af Preferred Link-local IPv Address fe e b c a f Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Saturday November AM Lease Expires Sunday November AM Default Gateway fe a cff fe c b d DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - D- - C- -FC-AA- - - - C DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap B A CC -E - C - AF-F F B Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Note that this is with the factory fresh configuration that keeps dropping So if you've gotten confused in that mess my question is how do i fix this problem I dont wanna open up my cmd every minutes to make my internet half functional on my PC Plea... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/385174-pcs-internet-drops-after-router-factory-restore-theres-more-urgent.html
Relevancy 65.79%

Hope this isn't confusing but, my internet provider (my cable company) came in to set up a wireless modem/router when we upped our internet speed today. We have three desktop computers which are hard wired to our existing Linksys router which we have been using previously. Would it be in our best interest to turn off the wireless function of that router (it's hooked up to the new modem/wireless router so the hardwired computers can function since the new unit has no ports to plug in the desktop computers into). Our wireless devices are all 'connected' to the new modem/router (using its passphrase and SSID). Can the wireless capabilities of each interfere with each other? They are sitting right next to each other.

A:Solved: Internet provider wireless modem/router and my hard wired router

It's confusing to me, but can make two comments ...

a. If you are not using the wireless network of a router it's best to disable or turn off the wireless--saves electricity and should extend the life of the router.

b. Two wireless networks whose channel numbers are less than five from each other can interfere. In North America if possible use channels 1, 6 and 11 to guarantee non interference.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-internet-provider-wireless-modem-router-and-my-hard-wired-router.1122336/
Relevancy 65.36%

I am having problems with my internet connection periodically dropping out and for no obvious reason If I leave the PC for a period of time then return to it the internet connection has dropped and neither Chrome nor IE browser internet Wired using periodically DrayTek - out connection drops router can access the web Each time this Wired internet connection periodically drops out - using DrayTek router happens I use the IE option quot Diagnose Connection Problems quot Windows runs the diagnostics check tells me to turn the router off and on again and wait three minutes then press quot Continue quot Within minutes it gives me the message quot Internet connectivity has been restored quot and I am online again The last few times this has happened I have received a screen from my Zone Alarm free firewall saying a new network has been detected I have attached a screen grab to show this - could the problem be with my firewall as well as my router A friend suggested I go into Device Manage Network Adapters section and untick the box labelled quot Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power quot under the Power Management tab Although it looked promising for a few hours this hasn t fixed the problem The broadband is with Eclipse - my employer provides broadband to my home address to enable me to work from home so I may be limited in what control I have over the router settings They have provided a DrayTek router model quot Vigor n quot and I connect using an ethernet cable I also use the wireless function of the router to connect with my work laptop when working from home and I don t seem to have the same problem I read elsewhere that using P P software can affect routers in this way I do have uTorrent on my own desktop so could this be a factor Hope someone can help me - I am happy to provide scan logs or any other info Thanks very much nbsp

A:Wired internet connection periodically drops out - using DrayTek router

Look for interference sources. Be sure none of the equipment is within 10 inches of any surface such as a wall, and is 12 inches or more from any corner... or heat source... or electrical fan or special lighting.

Some TV or video screens can also have an influence if within 20 inches.

Didn't see your screen grab.

Can we assume you have attempted to uninstall, then install to a different setting?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wired-internet-connection-periodically-drops-out-using-draytek-router.150903/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hello. I'm a novice at this. Have connected my main desk top successfully to broadband internet via Belkin Wirelss G Router and Belkin Desktop Network PCI Card. Cannot get second desk top to connect to broadband intenet. Appears to be connected ok to the router but not to the internet. Would appreciate any suggestions as to where I might start looking.

A:Problem networking via Belkin ADSL Modem with High Speed Mode Wirelss G Router

USUALLY, you wire the system to the router first and configure the router
to access your ISP. Typically, you use your bowser to access 192.168.0.1 and log-in to the device.
Once that is working, you enable the wireless feature, set the SSID and your security keys.
Now your ready to configure the desktop to use the wireless.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-networking-via-belkin-adsl-modem-with-high-speed-mode-wirelss-g-router.37610/
Relevancy 64.5%

Hello I own two routers - D-Link DSL- another connect (via Router a Solved: modem) as router Internet used to cannot ADSL not wireless and D-Link DIR- wireless The set-up used to be like this - Internet ADSL cable pluged Solved: Router cannot connect to Internet (via another router used as a modem) in Solved: Router cannot connect to Internet (via another router used as a modem) DSL- router - PC connected to DSL- via Ethernet port - DIR- connected to DSL- Ethernet port to Internet port - DSL- works as a modem - Laptop wirelessly connected to DIR- Everything has worked note it wasn t me who set this up Unfortunatelly I have reseted the DIR- wireless router because of some troubles Now the wireless router doesn t connect to the Internet I can connect either computer via cable with the first router and it works like a dream Computers can also see the DIR- router when connected to it via cable but it does not see the Internet I ve switched the setup on and off several times Cables work Computers work they can see Internet from other sources I guess I need to configure the wireless router in some certain way but I really have no idea how I d be grateful for your help nbsp

A:Solved: Router cannot connect to Internet (via another router used as a modem)

Probably IP Address conflict as both D-Links would usually use 192.168.0.1 for default internal (LAN) IP.

You would need to change the LAN IP address of the DIR-615 to another subnet such as 192.168.2.1 for a modem LAN port to router WAN (Internet) port connection unless the DIR-615 can be set as an access point. Will need to check the User Manual to see. Will pull up a PDF and check.

Another option would be to set up using the following method by John Will.
Connecting two soho routers in a network
Tutorial from Johnwill from the Networking Forum

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

Hopefully one of these will lead you in the right direction.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-router-cannot-connect-to-internet-via-another-router-used-as-a-modem.1082208/
Relevancy 63.64%

gonna try to make this router Solved: to internet! Modem HELP!!! to router, but NO as easy to understand as possible my network is has been set up like this - cable comes from the wall into the modem - a line then goes from the modem to a D-Link Solved: Modem to router to router, but NO internet! HELP!!! wireless router this router supplied a few connections including - a line that went from the D-link to a Linksys WRT-GS wireless router this is the router my PC is hardwired too This network setup worked perfect i had ZERO issues days ago the router in the middle the D-link died i had a few other routers sitting around a linksys wrt-G and a TP-LINK wireless N i thought i would be able Solved: Modem to router to router, but NO internet! HELP!!! to just put one of these in the D-Link s place and i would be up and running again NOPE no matter what i do or try i can not get router to pick up an internet connection from whatever router is directly connected to the modem the router that is directly connected to the modem has internet no problems but that router will not sent the nd router the info it needs to get online as well SO im not sure what the problem is i have spent many hours messing around in the router setup pages for all routers changing IP s DNS s advanced routing options router mode or gateway mode releasing and renewing DHCP s resetting to factory defaults a lot of this stuff i dont understand i even tried swapping places with them to see if maybe one liked being the host more then another no dice is there some magic combination that i am missing here do i need to update firmware Was the D-Link that i used before just THAT special should i go buy another D-link PLEASE HELP i currently connected to the router that is directly connected to the modem so im fine but i need that nd router through the st router because i share this connection with others thank you nbsp

A:Solved: Modem to router to router, but NO internet! HELP!!!

i think i may have found my problem/solution. however im just starting to the process to find out if it will work. im still open to any help and suggestions anyone has for me.

the solution im trying is: to make sure both routers dont have the same IP address, and if they do, change the secondary router IP to something else.

i have learned that what im trying to do is called cascading.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-modem-to-router-to-router-but-no-internet-help.1078837/
Relevancy 62.78%

On my older Windows ME, I was able to see the connecton speed of the modem while I was connected to the internet. Saw amount of send and received bytes, and the speed of the modem itself. All I had to do was to click the icon with the two computer screens which was active when connected to the internet. However I am at a loss about how to do that with Vista. Athough a similar two computer screen icon appears in the lower right bar of my display, when I access it, instead of a pop-up that show me the connection information, I get no information about what the modem connection speed is, or the number of bytes received and sent.
Can anyone tell me just how I can access the similar modem connection speed information with Vista?

A:Modem Internet Connection speed

Click on the right click on the Network icon on your desktop.

Then click on Show Status. There is the info.

I think they should have left it on the systray icon.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/260703-modem-internet-connection-speed.html
Relevancy 62.78%

I am currently signed up with my ISP for a speed of 256K. What does 256K really mean? If I download for example, an email attachment, what download rate should I expect in KBytes, not Kbits. And how about my upload rate? My ISP gave me a free modem, Zoom X5 ADSL. An agent came to set it up. Is my internet speed affected my the modem settings? Should I call back the agent to come and check it again?

Relevancy 61.92%

I have a Belkin wireless modem/router with 3 computers attached. I have ADSL connection with supposedly 1500mbps speed but I am only getting between 900 to 1200 on a good day I have the ordinary telstra phone cable from the output to my modem at present and wondered if I would be wasting my money getting the Belkin High Speed Internet Modem Cable or similar which from their blurb says it speeds up internet bla bla!

Relevancy 61.49%

Guys, i have ADSL broadband connection... ISP reports it to be of 4 Mbps.... i am using Thomson Speedtouch ST585 ADSL gateway... i am getting 1.47 Mbps on 1 port and 3.97 Mbps on rest of 3 ports... kindly help me out... why there is low speed on one port...speedtouch config page shows broadband line speed of 4.7 Mbps......

I have tried connecting my ethernet wire to rest of the modem ports but issue remains the same with my PC.

-Speedtest.net [1.48 Mbps download, 0.34 Mbps upload, ping 30 ms]
-AV [Avira Free Edition - updated]
-performed malware system-scan using updated Ad-Aware which removed around 10 cookies and 1 adware.

I have just updated my Realtek PCI-E Gigabit NIC driver but no improvement.

A:Slow internet speed on 1 port of ADSL modem?

So it's just one Ethernet port and you've applied the same cable to each port with the same set of circumstances?

This sounds like a hardware fault with the router, I would contact your router manufacturer or who ever gave you the router and report the problem; maybe ask for a new router.

I have a similar problem with some USB hubs and that's just due to poor wiring inside the device but for 50p, I won't complain.

A design flaw/ wiring fault is probably the problem.

Oli

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/279485-slow-internet-speed-1-port-adsl-modem.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi folks I have been searching these forums myself for a possible solution to my random network drops when i'm using my full bandwidth and have to network card solution drops Possible noticed that several of you have the same if not similar problems When using the troubleshooter the end result is always that my card has lost its default gateway yet is easily fixed The drops would only happen during times when i was maxing out my bandwidth and once fixed would either never happen till the next day or within minutes I seem to have stumbled upon a possible fix it certainly seems to have cured my problems so I thought i'd pass Possible solution to network card drops it on to you people here as these forums have been extremely helpful with the little tweaks and Possible solution to network card drops bugs in Win Quote Hi Guys and Girls Just wanted to drop a quick message to all of those people who are upgrading to Windows RC from Windows Vista Possible solution to network card drops If you find that your network connection drops and it states that your quot Default Gateway was unavailable quot when you run the fix this issue tool then its more than likely that your network card is at fault I found the best fix for this was to delete the network card from Device Manager restart the machine and hey presto it stops dropping You'll find it tends to drop when you attempt a high bandwidth activity like streaming media from websites It was very annoying but fortunately deleting the NIC seemed to resolve it Just wanted to pass it on Smoke me a kipper Edited byBackForBreakfast Monday June AM My motherboard has an Nvidia nForce series chipset and an Nvidia nForce Mbps Ethernet onboard port times two The source for this tip is Network Connections Drop Periodically in Windows after Upgrading from Windows Vista And like i said two days running no internet drop so i hope this helps you guys out like it has me

A:Possible solution to network card drops

sigh scratch this one, problems back same as usual soon as my bandwidth maxes out *poof* goes the network connection yet my partner on winxp happily surfs away on the net

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/15536-possible-solution-network-card-drops.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello I have a question regarding Mozilla Firefox I notice when I click on the Firefox icon whether in my Quick Launch Bar my Start Menu Shortcuts listing or on the desktop it can Application Up Speed Loading, Up. 2 Url Need To Firefox Not Speed For Solution take up to to seconds for the application to open Now I have heard that installed extensions can slow it down which makes sense I have installed of them as add-ons However I have disabled NOTE NOT un-installed all but to still run The ones running are Adblock Filterset G Updater Adblock Plus Adblock Plus Element Hiding Helper Ask Toolbar for Firefox Forecastfox Enhanced Locator Mouse Gestures Speed Dial Split Browser Test size toolbar and WOT Need Solution To Speed Up Firefox 2 Application For Loading, Not Url Speed Up. I find these still useful Now when I say Firefox is slow to load I do not mean the loading of the web sites I mean the loading of the Firefox application to come up on the desktop I have seen a lot information on the web about increasing the speed of loading of web sites by going into about config amp about cache and changing things like the pipelining and adding a new integer etc and even changing the memory cache size to a bigger size Now this is not going to have any impact on how fast Firefox application will load or will it It only affects the web sites speed for loading up right I also notice the first time after a reboot restart of the system it can take up to - seconds to load Firefox Then after I close the Firefox window and reopen it at a later time it will take less time consistently between system restarts What solutions can you provide me that can speed up the loading of Firefox any more add-on s you recommend to speed up of Firefox application to run Yah more add-ons What are the steps Thank you

A:Need Solution To Speed Up Firefox 2 Application For Loading, Not Url Speed Up.

This article lists some of the extensions that are known to cause unwanted side effects in Firefox: Problematic ExtensionsFasterfox is an Add-On that provides performance and network tweaks for Firefox. Theres alot of information in the FAQ.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/125533/need-solution-to-speed-up-firefox-2-application-for-loading-not-url-speed-up/
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello Happy Holidays I have a question regarding Mozilla Firefox I notice when I click on the Firefox icon whether in my Quick Launch Bar my Start Menu Shortcuts listing or on the desktop it can take up to to seconds for the application to open Now I have heard that installed extensions can slow it down which makes sense I have installed of them as add-ons However I have disabled NOTE NOT un-installed all but to still run The ones running are Adblock Filterset G Updater Adblock Plus for 2 Speed Firefox Speed URL Up Application NOT Need to Loading, Up. Solution Adblock Plus Element Hiding Helper Ask Toolbar for Firefox Forecastfox Enhanced Locator Mouse Gestures Speed Dial Need Solution to Speed Up Firefox 2 Application for Loading, NOT URL Speed Up. Split Browser Test size toolbar and WOT I find these still useful Now when I say Firefox is slow to load I do not mean the loading Need Solution to Speed Up Firefox 2 Application for Loading, NOT URL Speed Up. of the web sites I mean the loading of the Firefox application to come up on the desktop I have seen a lot information on the web about increasing the speed of loading of web sites by going into about config amp about cache and changing things like the pipelining and adding a new integer Need Solution to Speed Up Firefox 2 Application for Loading, NOT URL Speed Up. etc and even changing the memory cache size to a bigger size Now this is not going to have any impact on how fast Firefox application will load or will it It only affects the web sites speed for loading up right I also notice the first time after a reboot restart of the system it can take up to - seconds to load Firefox Then after I close the Firefox window and reopen it at a later time it will take less time consistently between system restarts What solutions can you provide me that can speed up the loading of Firefox any more add-on s you recommend to speed up of Firefox application to run Yah more add-ons What are the steps Thank you

A:Need Solution to Speed Up Firefox 2 Application for Loading, NOT URL Speed Up.

Hi, welcome to TSF

Firefox has always been slow to open compared to IE, because IE is so deeply integrated into the Windows operating system and has most of its components loaded when you boot into Windows.

The about:config tweaks you mention affect various aspects of how Firefox loads pages, but as far as I'm aware they can't improve the program's loading time.

Try creating a new profile with no addons or themes, then reboot the computer and load Firefox with this new profile to see how its start time compares to your normal profile with all its extras.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f131/need-solution-to-speed-up-firefox-2-application-for-loading-not-url-speed-up-204926.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I'm switching from AT&T U-verse to Comcast since comcast can offer speeds up to 5x faster.

As you might know At&T uses ethernet as incoming signal vs. Comcast that uses 75 ohm cable.

I need to buy a new modem and router to install the new Comcast service.

I have two questions:

1) What is better? the combo modem/router units (i.e. Motorola SBG6580) or buying a separate stand-alone modem Motorola 6141 modem + Netgear N750 wireless router)?

2) I do have one issue to overcome. I have one TV in my house that is wired for cable only. That is, it has a cable run going to it. It's too difficult for me to install an ethernet run to it, so I'm stuck having to use the cable run. Are there modem/routers that have a cable OUT so that i can feed this TV its hard-wired signal?

Thanks,
bob

A:Solved: Modem/Router combo units vs. stand-alone modem + router?

see attachment

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-modem-router-combo-units-vs-stand-alone-modem-router.1103612/
Relevancy 60.63%

I ve got a pretty strange problem I was hoping Internet modem, not router only through through somebody could help me with On Sunday September nd I had Comcast internet installed in my house I bought a Motorola Surfboard modem brand new and my cousin dropped off a router later that day The internet worked Internet only through modem, not through router fine both wifi and hard wired connections Great speed in both too That Friday I decided I would try and see if the modem my cousin gave me worked because then I would be able to return the new modem and save At this point my wireless and hardwired connections from the router still worked fine When I switched the modem and had my computer wired directly to the modem my cousin gave me an old Linksys model and opened up the internet instead of going to my homepage I was redirected to Comcast s quot self activation quot page and prompted to transfer service from the modem that I was using when I had my service installed the Motorola to the modem it was detecting now the Linksys I did so and was told everything was active However when I plugged my modem into my router and then my router into my computer I couldn t access the internet My computer saw the hardwired network and was connected but could not get further than that The same for the wifi signal the router was outputting my computer got onto the network but not the internet My roommate s computer did the same thing I then switched back to my original modem the Motorola and still got the same problem Thinking it must be the router I tried an old one from my sister- same problem My roommate then tried an old one his parents had- same problem But if I connect directly from my computer to the modem I have internet which is how I m writing this in the first place I ve tried all the standard stuff like power cycling the modems and the routers switching out the cables resetting the routers going to the configuration pages at Nothing I saw this post earlier but it was locked so I couldn t respond to it It seems like he has the same problem I have but I don t know enough about networking to be able to adapt his stuff to my situation I would love some help here since my only other option is paying Comcast a bunch of money to have an quot advanced technician quot take over my computer through remote service which I doubt would actually fix it Additional details- I ve spent a massive amount of time on the phone with Comcast already today and the only thing they agree on is that the modem again I ve switched back to the Motorola since it s way newer is outputting a strong signal so that s not the problem Even though I was able to earlier I can no longer connect my PS to the internet directly from the modem Again a computer directly connected to the modem works fine just not my PS I m not great at networking stuff but I have some knowledge of computers Just not the inner workings So I apologize in advance if I post really stupid questions I just want to make sure I don t screw something in my system up permanently Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 60.63%

i got this TP-LINK TL-WR641G and my computer is conected with wireless and there is another connected to it via an ethernet cable.
im on a 1.5Mb internet plan and my computer never downloads faster than a max of 30KB/s while the other goes in excess of 200KB/s...why would this be happening?
any help is appreciated.

also i can download a few things at the same time at 30KB/s each which adds to 60KB/s but nothing ever goes higher...

Relevancy 60.2%

Long time listener first time caller Here s my hijackthis log- I ve determined that Norton products are process sucking pieces of crap Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSvcHst exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AppCore AppSvc exe C month! Solved: a speed! performance HELP PLEASE! poor for Consistent and Popups Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware aawservice exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C PROGRA NORTON NORTON NPROTECT EXE C PROGRA NORTON NORTON SPEEDD NOPDB EXE C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Symantec Norton AntiBot agent Bin NABWatcher exe C Program Files Symantec Norton AntiBot agent Bin NABAgent exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C Program Solved: Popups for a month! Consistent poor performance and speed! HELP PLEASE! Files HPQ Quick Launch Buttons EabServr exe C Program Files HPQ HP Wireless Assistant HP Wireless Assistant exe C Program Files Hp HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Symantec Norton AntiBot agent bin NortonAntiBot exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files HPQ SHARED HPQWMI exe C Program Files Microsoft Broadband Networking Solved: Popups for a month! Consistent poor performance and speed! HELP PLEASE! MSBNTray exe C Program Files Symantec Norton AntiBot agent bin NABMonitor exe Solved: Popups for a month! Consistent poor performance and speed! HELP PLEASE! C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C PROGRA Symantec LIVEUP LUCOMS EXE C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Google Common Google Updater GoogleUpdaterService exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C PROGRA Symantec LIVEUP LUCOMS EXE C Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate AUPDATE EXE C Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate LuCallbackProxy exe C Program Files HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN US amp c Q amp bd pavilion amp pf laptop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN US amp c Q amp bd pavilion amp pf laptop O - Toolbar Show Norton Toolbar - -F - -B -FBEE C B DF - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared coShared Browser UIBHO dll O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run SynTPLpr C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run eabconfg cpl C Program Files HPQ Quick Launch Buttons EabServr exe Start O - HKLM Run Cpqset C Program Files HPQ Default Settings cpqset exe O - HKLM Run hpWirelessAssistant quot ProgramFiles HPQ HP Wireless Assistant HP Wireless Assistant exe quot O - HKLM Run HP Software Update C Program Files ... Read more

A:Solved: Popups for a month! Consistent poor performance and speed! HELP PLEASE!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-popups-for-a-month-consistent-poor-performance-and-speed-help-please.621936/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi I can connect to the Internet when my laptop s connected directly to the modem but not through my wireless router My laptop can connect to the router but then I have no Internet access I ve tried resetting my router and modem When I do ipconfig all without connecting to the modem I get Windows IP Configuration Host Name cut Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Peer-Peer IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet connect to internet router Modem can can't but adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TAP-Win Adapter V Physical Address -FF- - - F- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR b g n WiFi Adapter Physical Address - - E- - -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d f e e fbe Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Friday February PM Lease Expires Sunday Modem can connect to internet but router can't February PM Default Gateway DHCP Server Modem can connect to internet but router can't DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - -B -F - - - A-B - -D DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix dc dc cox net Description Realtek RTL E RTL E Family PCI-E Fst Ethernet NIC NDIS Physical Address - - A-B - -D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap dc dc cox net Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap DCBF D - AC - -A - FFCAE DFCCF Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap F - A- F A- F- A FF E A Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Reusable ISATAP Interface A - - C - A - A B EBD Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes I can t ping my router the request times out and or says that the destination net is unreachable I can ping Google and my DNS Thanks to Google I tried netsh winsock reset netsh int ip reset resetlog txt But those didn t work Is my router just busted If you could please help it would be much appreciated nbsp

A:Modem can connect to internet but router can't

connected directly to the modem but not through my wireless router.Click to expand...

make and models of these devices

if you connect by cable to the router will it work ?

any other devices working on the router

make and model of the PC
what windows version, vista, W7 or W8 ?

connect directly to the modem with a cable - as you say this works - and post an ipconfig /all

also do a powercycle whenever you make a change

How to power cycle

&#8220;power cycle&#8221; process to reboot or reset the modem/router

Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
Wait at least 1 to 5 minutes,
Plug the power cords back in, but don&#8217;t switch them on.
First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
Next switch on the router (if a separate device) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/modem-can-connect-to-internet-but-router-cant.1089719/
Relevancy 59.77%

I help out a guy that has a business with telephones and Internet etc I have asked this question to an internet service provider and different techs at two differnt computer stores and no one has an answer for me What is happening is just a few computers you plug them into dsl just through the modem the phone company uses and you cannont get on the internet you get no internet connection But you plug the same computer into a router that is connected even to the same modem to get the dsl and it will work a through through a router will Internet work modem won't but right away Now I understand that the router acts as a dhcp server and the computer is getting its ip address from it but why won t it pick up one from the modem without the router When this happens and it is not very often you can use the same modem with the same cabling and plug in another computer and it will get online right away so it is not the modem that is bad and not the cabling We had this problem about a year ago with like computers would not get on dsl online through the telephone companies modem how ever you would use the same modem Internet won't work through a modem but will through a router and Internet won't work through a modem but will through a router plug it into a router and you Internet won't work through a modem but will through a router could get online right away At that time the telephone company had a real old DHCP server and the date and time and everything was wrong on it I suppose the battery was bad but they did away with it and use a differnt one going through Netins internet service provider At that time before they did away with the dhcp server I had called netins and told them the problem they didn t no what was wrong and like I said I spoke with two other techs from two other computer stores and they had never heard of the problem well now he is having the same problem with two laptops I was just there today and saw they couldn t get online but you could plug another laptop into the same modem and it would get online with no problem I took the laptop home and hooked it through my router and it got online right away So I told him I tnought it was something with there dhcp server that the laptop wasn t getting an ip address from it but then why would another laptop getting plugged into the same modem in a few min get right online I am stumped has anyone got any idea s nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

Hey there. For some time I have had trouble with my internet connection (see http://forums.techguy.org/games/676597-cant-connect-most-online-games.html ), the main issue being that I can not connect directly to my modem, I must connect to the router, however doing this has began to cause more problems than it solves.
I install the modem files without any apparent problems, yet upon the restart it will not make any kind of connection. Anyone have any ideas why this may be? I am not sure which information to put here, so will post on request.

All help appreciated,
Thanks, Friction.

Relevancy 59.77%

First thank you for everybody who will take a time to help me After power outrage I cannot set up my modem router internet connection I ve restarted both several of times different cable configuration with no luck I will post my ipconfig all first is with router so no connection C Users a gt connection Internet No modem+router ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name a-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address C - - - - -B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address No Internet connection modem+router fe ddaa e abc Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - A- - -C - - - - -B DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled This one is without router connected so only modem and I have connection C Users a gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name a-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node No Internet connection modem+router Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List domain not set invalid Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix domain not set invalid Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address C - - - - -B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address No Internet connection modem+router fe ddaa e abc Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Friday June PM Lease Expires Friday June PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - A- - -C - - - - -B DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled C Users a gt Tried many different addresses like - - and more Still cannot access the one which suppose to be default Also tried to flushdsn and renew and I got this message C Users a gt ipconfig flushdns Windows IP Configuration Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache C Users a gt ipconfig renew Windows IP Configuration An error occurred while renewing interface Local Area Connection unable to con tact your DHCP server Request has timed out An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface The sy stem cannot find the file specified Anybody can help Thank you a lot in advance nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

Hi Im going to be switching internet companies within the next month and i have a question if possible for someone to answer Right now i have a modem that came with my internet and its a Speedsteam and Questions modem router about internet and right now all i do is just plug my phone cable into the back of it and it gets the internet but im switching to Eastlink Extreme Speed Canadian and im pretty sure the modem it comes Questions about internet modem and router with doesn t have wireless and im wondering if i buy a router from the store would i be able to just plug my phone cable into that or would i have to have the modem they give me plug the router both plugged in I also have another question about routers if possible im wondering if its possible to limit the wireless speed for other computers in the house so for example i could set another computer to only get a max or certain speed or what Thanks a ton Sorry if its a stupid question nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

Hi Guys,

I am new to networking and I have several questions to ask.

I want to know if I split my internet using router to 4 computers is the speed becoming 1/4 for each computer or the same as original?
What if from the 4 computer only 1 is used, is the speed still 1/4 or original speed?

Is bandwith the same as speed?
Thank you

Relevancy 59.77%

Ok right guys I m gonna explain this the best way I can I have very little know how when it comes to computers internet speeds and routers etc issues/Internet Router speed/PS3 You could Router issues/Internet speed/PS3 say I m n b lol What my problem is I had to move my Playstation from downstairs up into my room My connection so bad I play a lot of Call Of Duty Modern Warfare I can t even get a game sometimes I sit and wait for ages and if I do get into a game it s pure lag I phoned my service provider up which is Sky Broadband to ask for help The man on the phone didn t help me much he was useless He said quot It s because I moved the PS to differnt room The further away it is from the router Router issues/Internet speed/PS3 less it s gonna pick it up Theres nothing you can do quot I can t move my PS back into the living room becuase my brother moved back in with us and sleeps in living room wish he would get back with his girlfriend lol We got Sky broadband unlimited package Is there any way I can look up the speeds on my laptop Windows XP I thought can I run a telephone line extension cable from main box downstairs into my room buy router plug it into that then plug ethernet cable into router then into my PS Surely I would stay connected then Or would that not work If anyone could help me out with suggestions I really would appreciate it It s driving me nuts I can t play COD My NAT Type on MW MW Gone RED STRICT I think I posted this in right part sorry if I got it wrong Many thanks Matt nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

hey today i just bought an asus rt-n11 wireless router and i am getting really slow speed through it and drops out on the occasion, but direct connected i get alot more speed. i check for malware and back door garbage viruses etc. each day, im not too sure what this is or means please help. thanks

A:Slow internet speed through router

I would first uninstall or delete existing install. Reboot, and reinstall. Is it slow in both regular connect and Wireless? Or is only your wireless connect slow?
How do you determine it is slow? What are you using to test the connection speed?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/slow-internet-speed-through-router.121890/
Relevancy 59.77%

When I put a cable from the main router to my pc, I get the speed that I pay for. But when I put a cable from the main to another router, and from there to my pc, I only get 1/3 of the speed.. What do I do?

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/helproom-1/router-takes-23-internet-speed-4610829/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi there, I have a ZXDSL 531B router from ZTE. I'm a network newbie here. Now here's the setup for the DSL router with 4 LAN ports, which all are connected to different PCs. And this happens to be the ONLY source of internet to all of us. Here's my needs, I want to control EACH LAN port speed, as it can be shared equally & not one stealing most / all bandwidth & rest left begging . Every computer uses Windows 7. Please help!

A:How can I control Internet speed from DSL router?

Ohh...God, looks like there isn't any answer to this query!

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/208907-how-can-i-control-internet-speed-dsl-router.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello all I have a really strange problem which has kept me scratching my head for quite a time I ve recently bought a G MBit sec DC-HSPA connection with a ZTE MF Modem and a Dovado GN router When I connect the modem directly to the computer I get around - MBit s which is great and acceptable Problem is when I connect through the router I get max Mbit sec Connected via ethernet cable or Wireless n b g n gives the same low speed results I have used the same APN bredband tre se in my router as is Slow Internet Through Speed Router on the modem I have upgraded to the latest firmwares on the Router latest firmware - I have swaped my modem to another one to the Huawei E latest firmware I have swaped my Router to another Dovado GN and updated Slow Internet Speed Through Router to the latest firmware The modem is placed meters away from the router to reduce interference I have removed all my anti-virus and firewalls and I believe the router has no firewall and prior to that did a virus check also with spyware doctor I changed the SIM card Slow Internet Speed Through Router and got another from the ISP no help The router s support says they recieve full speed like Mbit with the same hardware and firmware combination The G modem is exactly in the same place where I do the speed tests Speedtests done with speedtest net and bredbandskollen se Pings are quite high in both cases when doing tracerts but while doing the speedtests they are between ms and ms quite OK for me I have moved the config to another room same results I have tried using no security on Wifi and also disabling WiFi no help I have tested with differnet computers with totally diffferent configs Tracerts Direct Modem http img imageshack us img tracertmodem jpg Modem Router http img imageshack us img tracertrouter jpg WEB Statistics Direct Modem http img imageshack us img web modem jpg Modem Router http img imageshack us img web router jpg Speedguide Connection Test Direct Modem http img imageshack us img sgmodem jpg Modem Router http img imageshack us img speedguidetest jpg Please let me know if you need any other info I have tried to change all factors but nothing has helped The only thing that I m a bit suspicious on is the Router s firmware which is locked to the ISP but I can t think of anything else Maybe reading the tracerts and the reports could help nbsp

A:Slow Internet Speed Through Router

I can add that I guess the upload speed remains unaffected since it's below 3Mbit/sec in both cases

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/slow-internet-speed-through-router.1007997/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello I have just recently moved out of my house vs. internet Router Cable-Modem Internet and into my friend s apartment At my house my PC was constantly connected to a router in order to gain internet access Verizon Fios Time Warner Comcast were the ISPs I have used on it and now I am trying to make my internet work at this apartment Time Warner but I am trying to plug my ethernet cable into the Cable-Modem I get quot Limited or no connectivity quot and I m guessing it s just a configuration problem since my PC is probably still attached to the router-issued IP addresses or something I Router internet vs. Cable-Modem Internet can t buy a router yet and I m hoping to be able to use this internet by plugging into the cable modem It works for my friend s PC just fine and that s why I believe that the problem lies within my transistion from router to modem Please give me any advice you can I m very good with computers and I can understand almost all quot tech quot talk as some would say Thanks haha Update I tried ipconfig release and ipconfig renew on renew it failed to contact DHCP server nbsp

A:Router internet vs. Cable-Modem Internet

Assuming you have Windows XP SP2.
Have you tried the Network Setup Wizard in the Control Panel?

When the wizard asks you to 'Select a Connection Method', select <Other>
The next screen is for 'Other Internet connection methods', select <This computer connects directly to the Internet. I do not have a network yet.>

Hope this helps.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/router-internet-vs-cable-modem-internet.76416/
Relevancy 59.34%

Please if anyone can Solved: Modem connects to Router but can't? Internet.. help me out that would be great I recently bought a new router because I thought that was the problem I called my service provider Wowway they checked my modem provided by them and said everything coming quot in quot is fine but the router is not functioniny properly So I bought a new one and everything is connected properly I have a Arris TM G modem provided by wowway and a brand new Netgear N wireless router My internet works when the modem is directly connect to the computer but when the router is hooked up my internet doesn t work at all When I do ipconfig all with the router connected this is what I get Windows IP Configuration Host Name Lisowskis-PC Primary Solved: Modem connects to Internet.. but Router can't? Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Physical Address - A- B- - - F DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c e cad eb Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Saturday July PM Lease Expires Sunday July PM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -A - -C - - A- B- - - F DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap DA BD-DBB - F -AE - D E D CA Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes nbsp

Relevancy 59.34%

Ok so here we go, just built a computer installed Win 7 Home Prem 64 on it.

Booted, loaded drivers, updated drivers w/usb key and laptop.

Slow (4 to 5 kb/s dl) internet speed. Did some messing around, had it at normal speeds after messing around (windows updates installed).

Hooked up to my Siemens 567, will not connect to internet.

Hooked up to my DIR-655 router, will connect at slow speed.

Home is brand new, CAT6 Wired, previous Vista machine worked flawless on this Cat6 jack. Wifi works on laptop just fine. (also vista).

Bought a network card, same situation so that rules out my computer hardware and leaves the OS and Router/Modem.

I am pretty darn good at computers but this is making me lose sleep and is turning me into a bad fiance.

Let's get this solved and then beers for all!

A:No internet through DSL Modem, Slow Snail through Router

Also tried a fresh install of windows...nothing but made more work for me having to install drivers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/180003-no-internet-through-dsl-modem-slow-snail-through-router.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi,
I have a just dumped my landline broadband for 3g wireless.
I have:
a e169 usb stick
a siemens speedstream 6520 router (one pc)
a wifly-city wifi usb adapoter. (other pc)
laptop (built in wifi)
i can file/printer share no worries but can't share the internet connection. I've tried everything I can think of!

I'm using:
mobile partner dashboard 16.001.06.01.500
xp 32bit on all systems

tried enabling share this internet connection. tried setting up ad-hoc. Tried manual ip settings.

has anyone succesfully done this before?

thanks in advance

Relevancy 59.34%

Here is my issue: My modem CAN connect to the Internet but my router CANNOT. I've called my ISP (Brighthouse) and went through a whole process of bypassing the router, restarting the modem for 2 minutes, and restarting the router for 30 seconds. Then I even got a little help from the router's maker (Linksys) by switching the IP address of the router, they said this could be the issue if my modem had the same IP address. I switched it to 192.168.2.1, but still no luck.

I'm drawing a blank on this. I think I have tried everything, even buying a new router. Any help would be far-passed appreciated because I do not know what to do now.

The new router is a Linksys E1000. I haven't got the specs of my modem yet, I'll update this post or reply later with them. If I need to post anymore info please specify what and how, thanks.

A:Solved: Router cannot connect to the Internet, Modem can.

Welcome to TSG:
Is this cable or dsl ?
If dsl,have you reviewed this link:
http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.a...&pid=80&respid=0&snid=4&dispid=0&cpage=search

If cable:
http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&login=1&app=search&vw=1&articleid=3686&donelr=1
May we see:
Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista or 7 type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-router-cannot-connect-to-the-internet-modem-can.1001552/
Relevancy 59.34%

When I got my mom a new modem to connect internet router through won't Solved: computer without wireless capability I took her d-link dir- router which was working perfectly with her wavecable box to use so I could connect my laptop wirelessly I was previously using a linksys router connected to a qwest cable modem for my desktop and xbox I can t get the dlink router to connect to the internet through the modem When I followed the set up directions previously posted I got the following results gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name DianeEvans Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List domain actdsltmp Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix domain actdsltmp Description Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Physical Address - - A- -C -A Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Monday August PM Lease Expires Monday August PM C gt ping Pinging with bytes of data Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Solved: router won't connect to internet through modem Ping statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost Solved: router won't connect to internet through modem loss C gt ping Pinging Solved: router won't connect to internet through modem with bytes of data Reply from bytes time lt ms TTL Reply from bytes time lt ms TTL Reply from bytes time lt ms TTL Reply from bytes time lt ms TTL Ping statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost loss Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds Minimum ms Maximum ms Average ms C gt When I connected directly to the modem I got this result C gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name DianeEvans Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List domain actdsltmp Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix domain actdsltmp Description Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet Physical Address - - A- -C -A Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Monday August PM Lease Expires Monday August PM C gt ping Pinging with bytes of data Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Request timed out Ping statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost loss C gt ping Pinging with bytes of data Reply from bytes time lt ms TTL Reply from bytes time lt ms TTL Reply from bytes time lt ms TTL Reply from bytes time lt ms TTL Ping statistics for Packets Sent Received Lost loss Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds Minimum ms Maximum ms Average ms C gt Obviously I have a problem with the IP address How do I fix it HELP Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack bit Processor AMD Athlon tm Dual Core Processor B x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GS Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Hewlett-Packard A h UA BH Antivirus Windows Live OneCare Updated No On-Demand Scanner Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 59.34%

hi i have just bought a bt voyager 205 modem router off ebay.

i want to connect to the internet using this modem using the ethernet cable to my lap top.
i also want to run my xbox 360 through the router to use xbox live.

can someone give me step by step instructions on how to do this, as i have no idea what to do.
i have managed to access the advanced section on the router but after that i dont know what to do.
can someone help me before i pull out all my hair.

thanks

dridgy.

A:connecting adsl modem router to internet?

Who is your internet service provider? Whoever you purchased service through should be able to get your modem setup and initilized on their network. Once you have connectivity, setting up the Xbox and your laptop to get an IP from the router you bought should be a piece of cake.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-adsl-modem-router-to-internet.487423/
Relevancy 59.34%

Okay so i got a belkin router that looks like this http s gadgetreview com Router/Modem Problem Belkin Help? with Internet wp-content up The Router was working for about months semi-perfectly i had to unplug and replug the power everytime on the router when i wanted my laptop to connect or else i would get unidentified network when all of a sudden it one day stopped Problem with Belkin Router/Modem Internet Help? working I tried to see what was wrong and the problem Problem with Belkin Router/Modem Internet Help? was the Internet Light was flashing orange which meant it was quot attempting to connect to the internet quot However it would never connect I reset the router with the pinhole and Problem with Belkin Router/Modem Internet Help? tried reinstalling unplugging all cables and calling belkin all which still gave me the flashing light When i plug my computer directly to the modem however it is able to work perfectly But when i connect modem gt router gt computer then it doesnt work Ive tried researching on the flashing orange light on the router and couldnt find anything Does anyone know why it isnt working and how i can fix it i need my router for everything nbsp

Relevancy 59.34%

Hello,

I have D-Link DVA-G3670B Wireless Router But without the usb Port, a PC running Windows 7 Ultimate, a usb modem that I use to connect to the internet and one Ethernet Cable.

My question is:
How can i share the internet from the usb modem to the wireless router so I can connect my other WiFi devices to the internet?
The router is Factory settings.

Can i get a step by step instruction please?

Relevancy 59.34%

Hi All,

I have this ADSL Modem (DSL-302T) and I have connected it to the computer, I put in the username and password and the VPI and VCI settings and it connected fine to the internet. I can use the net that way. This modem has DHCP function which is enabled and has an IP of 192.168.1.1

But I have a Netgear Wireless router (MR814 v3), and when I connect it to the Modem, it does not connect to the internet. When I ping the modem, it pings fine, and when I ping the router, that also pings fine. But the problem is that it does not connect to the internet. The router is also DHCP enabled with the IP of 192.168.0.1 ....

I dont know what to do and I am stuck. Does anyone have a solution to this. Thanks in advance.

A:Problem with connecting to Internet using Modem and Router

Since you already have a modem/router, why are you connecting the second router? If you're just trying to use the wireless function, try this:

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-connecting-to-internet-using-modem-and-router.462719/
Relevancy 59.34%

i have wireless broadband internet modem & i want to know if there are any routers that supports this. i want to set up a wireless network this way. is it possible? please help!!!!

A:Can you set up wireless broadband internet modem to a router?

If your ISP's cable modem also provides wireless then it's probably also a router. Best way to confirm exactly what it is is to tell us the exact make/model of the device. Look for a metal tag on it (usually on the back where the cables connect or on the bottom) and give us the make/model

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-you-set-up-wireless-broadband-internet-modem-to-a-router.138326/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi,

I have this problem with my home wireless network for quite sometime. I am using cable broadband with the motorola modem and aztech router.

The problem is that my internet connection drops suddenly everyday... I will power off my modem and router, restart it but still cannot get internet access. after a few tries, it might come back...

I have tested my router at my friend's place and it is working fine. So i thought it's the modem problem, so i also went to test the modem at my friend's place and it's working fine too. I even bought new ethernet cable.

I do not know much about hardwares and wireless networking. I do hope I can find the problem and get it solved soon...

A:working router and modem but no internet connection

how many pcs are connected on your network and do they all work ok except yours ?

would you post the following tests when the internet is working OK, and then repeat ALL the tests when the internet disconnects.
Make sure you also indicate on the reply which tests are for what condition.

As you are connected by wireless, please include the xirrus screen shots for both conditions - see how below.

Please post back here the make and exact model of the router and the make and exact model of the modem.

Please make a note of the status of the lights on the modem and on the router when working normally - post that light status here.
Now when the internet disconnects make a note of the status of the lights for the modem and router here again. also note which have changed.

What firewall / security suite or anti-virus do you currently have on the PC - or you have ever had on the PC in the past - any trial ware - like Norton, Mcafee , AVG etc

ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.

Ping Tests
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.

Start> Run {search bar in Vista/W7}> type CMD to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

Ping {then a space and then add the number that is shown against the item labeled "default gateway" shown in the results from the ipconfig /all}
Post back the results in a reply here
right click in the command prompt box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping google.com
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping 209.183.226.152
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste
For your information only
these tests will check various stages of the connection, the first ping test, ping default gateway checks t... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/working-router-and-modem-but-no-internet-connection.1064272/
Relevancy 59.34%

My modem Siemens SpeedStream and router Linksys WRT both function properly but my desktop computer HP-Pavillion Elite m c won't connect to the internet I never had a problem connecting up until a month ago but since then nothing I know the modem and router function properly because all the wireless devices in our house e g Modem/router internet function properly, but no laptops Wii xbox can still Modem/router function properly, but no internet connect and I can plug an ethernet Modem/router function properly, but no internet cable into the router and the laptop and it connects The device manager on the desktops says that the network adapter Intel DC- Gigabit and the wireless adaptor USB wireless b g are functioning properly I tried several things to try to resolve this such as disabling the Windows firewall but no luck At this point I think I need to work through this systematically and that's where I need your help Whatever information you need from me let me know and I'll provide it Below is a screen shot of my ipconfig all Thanks in advance Mike

A:Modem/router function properly, but no internet

According to your ipconfig the wireless connection should be online and should be working.

If you want the wireless to work instead you will need to unplug the Ethernet cable because Windows can't use two connections at once and will tend to choose the wired connection if both are being used.

You may also need to go into the routers setting and make sure the wireless settings have the correct security and encryption. You should also go into the wireless profile for this connection in Windows and make sure the settings match the ones being used in your router.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/241893-modem-router-function-properly-but-no-internet.html
Relevancy 59.34%

hi i have a zte modem and a belkin g wireless router i would wish to share the modems internet with the router so as to access internet wirelessly i have a desktop running on windows bit internet Solved: sharing modem a usb with a router attached is my ipconfig Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name -PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List Belkin PPP adapter Connect Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Connect Physical Address DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers Primary WINS Server Secondary WINS Server NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Belkin Description Realtek RTL E RTL E Family PCI-E Fa st Solved: sharing a usb modem internet with a router Ethernet NIC NDIS Physical Address - - -A - F- DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe dd e e ddd edd Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained September Lease Expires October Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - - B-E -C - - - -A - F- DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap FF E - ABC- D -B - E Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap CE - C D- A - C -FEDE BE D Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users MUMO gt thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 59.34%

Hello I'm new here and I'm sorry to immediately drop such a question on you but I'm in a bit of a rush to get my internet-connection setup properly if it isn't Here are a couple of questions I have Note It's not like I don't know anything about network-configurations but it's safe to say it's limited at least hard or confusing for me Plus Keep in mind I'm speaking of a wired connection by internet/router/modem-settings. on Questions the way First of all is there a way to Questions on internet/router/modem-settings. setup a connection in a secure manner So specific IP-settings and such things or would any settings that connect do the job and security depends on the router or the software on the computers connected Then I've been on sites like PortForward which is probably the best-known one for this It states that you should can setup Static IP and forward ports for each application I understand the difference between a Static IP and a Dynamic IP But I do not understand why you quot have to quot forward ports I mean I've already used different online applications on my PC while having a Dynamic IP at first and a Static IP later without forwarding any ports And it all worked So what does it change Does it make for more stable connections or what does it do It's not like it doesn't work without forwarding the ports so what does it matter My network consists out of a router of course a main PC with a cable attached from the router to the motherboard then also a Laptop Notebook connected with a Powerline Network Adapter to a power-outlet and another adapter on a power-outlet near the router connected to the router Then also a PlayStation connected in the same way So finally what is the best way to set everything in the router and addresses etc To of course make it stable and secure Greetings

A:Questions on internet/router/modem-settings.

Hi DamageIncM, Welcome to 7F,

To secure your network, choose WPA2-AES from your router, then all wireless computers will be prompt to key in the network key to be connected to your secured network. If you need a detail guide on how to do this, please provide the exact Make and Model of your Router.

Quote:
First of all, is there a way to setup a connection in a secure manner?

As for the Port forwarding concerns, you will also configure this in your router, if there are Apps/Programs that doesn't work properly then you'll have to port forward Port Nos. for these to function. I use Portforwarding.com for this.

Your router must have DHCP enabled, so that Dynamic IP (or Auto IP-An IP address that changes every time) will be distributed in all the computers in your network. Static IP or Manual IP is a fixed IP and stays. The recommended settings in your router and computer is DHCP.

Hope this helps.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/131615-questions-internet-router-modem-settings.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I'm having problems with my internet connection and modem/router. It's an Actiontec gt704wg, which serves as both a modem and wireless router. One computer is connected directly to the router and 2 others use wireless. The connection just randomly cuts off, the internet light goes blank, the dsl light flashes, and then it takes about 15-25 seconds to reconnect. I get tons of static on my phones, and the frequency of disconnecting goes up whenever i get/make a phone call. In addition, when I connect the other computers wirelessly, i get tremendous delays and more disconnections, and it takes several minutes to reconnect. The router's not old, about a year, and I've had no problems with it until recently. I've changed all my dsl phone filters, so I know it's not that. Can anyone help me?

A:internet connection, Router/modem problems

It sounds to me like something wrong with the router or, less likely, wireless interference. Looking at the second one first, do you detect any other wireless networks on your same or close to your channel? Any 2.4Ghz cordless phone?

Next I suggest looking for a firmware update for the router. And my final (at least for now) suggestion is to reset the router to factory default settings and reconfigure.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-connection-router-modem-problems.586826/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello everyone,

At the moment I have my home network running through my modem which has a 4 port hub and wireless as well as my internet.

Im looking to put a gigabit router in for the comptuers and ps3 to talk with becuase I want to get a NAS instead of use my main comp.

How would I go about hooking them together so the internet works through it all and the wireless as well, but also the gigabit between comptuers?

Can I just have it in the system and have it set to look at my modem for the DHCP and stuff like that?

Also if you know of any good NAS systems or gigabit routers please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

A:connecting gbit router and internet modem

Connect the gigabit switch to a LAN port on the router and connect all the other devices to the gigabit switch. You don't need a gigabit router, just a switch.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-gbit-router-and-internet-modem.918221/
Relevancy 59.34%

Virgin installed a new router and modem and although my PC one laptop and one netbook are connecting to the internet an Acer Aspire with Vista is not The PC connected to the modem and router is an left modem and 1 laptop new without router internet Advent AIO windows xp and the router is a D-Link DIR- Previously I had installed a Belkin myself and we had no problems with that but new modem and router left 1 laptop without internet everything I have tried like a wired link to update drivers and windows for instance on the new modem and router left 1 laptop without internet Acer has not worked I also tried pinging Yahoo com to no avail I tried the ipconfig thing and some of it does look wrong to me but I dont know how to put it right My husband wants me to put the Belkin back on but given that we have a new modem I m not sure I want to Can you help please Below is my ipconfig thing Windows IP Configuration Host Name dadhsnr-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List cable virginmedia net Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix cable virginmedia net Description Broadcom NetLink new modem and router left 1 laptop without internet TM Fast Ethernet Physical Address - B- -DB-A - A DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix cable virginmedia net Description Atheros AR EG Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - F- A- B- -E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe a bcf bf ed Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained November Lease Expires November Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix cable virginmedia net Description isatap cable virginmedia net Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users dadhsnr gt nbsp

Relevancy 59.34%

Hello everyone,

I'm having this problem for two days already.
I can't access the internet through wifi router, but when I connect the cable modem directly to my laptop, it works perfectly fine. When I try to connect again through the router it says I have "Limited" connectivity or no internet access.

I tried resetting the router but to no avail. I would appreciate your answers.
I'm using Windows 8 btw.

Relevancy 59.34%

I have two wireless routers. One is from my wireless internet provider and allows me to receive wireless internet perfectly. My other router is a Linksys WRT54G2 router. This router does not have any internet capabilities by itself. I am trying to wirelessly connect my internet provider's modem to my Linksys router to create an internet connection on my Linksys. I would like to do this wirelessly. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

A:How to conect an internet modem to a Linksys router?

I dont think you can use the WRT54G2 as a wireless access point without a change to a 3rd party firmware
have a read here http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/Wireless-Routers/Using-WRT54G2-as-an-Access-Point/td-p/278438

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-conect-an-internet-modem-to-a-linksys-router.966027/
Relevancy 59.34%

I m currently trying to have internet in a different place than my main one i have the current modem plugged http www motorola com Business US nd SURFboard Modems Help! Internet connection. / multiple Router Modem and Gateways SB US-EN http www arrisi com product catalog listers index asp id It seems both are plugged On the arris one i see those lights on x Power x DS x US x Online Link x Telephone Telephone x Battery On the Motorola one i got all the lights on I m trying to put internet into a second room by wire I connected the wire from my second computer to the Arris modem in the yellow plug and it still doesn t work Could i please get some help on how i could get multiple internet i m really having some trouble right now Thank you very much Edit If it helps i use Windows Vista If it s not possible to receive multiple internet with those please tell me what i need PS Sorry for my grammar my natal language is french nbsp

Relevancy 59.34%

Hi I m using windows OS and Internet DSL Wifi but Router modem not through connected through using Reliance DSL broadband When I connect to internet directly through modem Internet is accessed but when I use D-Link DIR- Internet connected through DSL modem but not through Wifi Router router Internet connected through DSL modem but not through Wifi Router It shows you are offline and shows limited connectivity Ip configuration through wired connection is as below C Users Hiren s gt ipconfig Windows IP Configuration Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix local Ethernet adapter Ethernet Connection-specific DNS Suffix reliancebroadband co in Link-local IPv Address fe c e b a eb aa IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Tunnel adapter isatap reliancebroadband co in Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix reliancebroadband co in Tunnel adapter TO Adapter Connection-specific DNS Suffix reliancebroadband co in IPv Address bed e d bed e d Default Gateway Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix IPv Address ef fd cc c b Link-local IPv Address fe cc c b Default Gateway When I try to connect with wifi It shows limited connectivity and I can t open login page for ISP Ip config when connected through wifi is below C Users Hiren s gt ipconfig Windows IP Configuration Ethernet adapter Bluetooth Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix local Ethernet adapter Ethernet Connection-specific DNS Suffix reliancebroadband co in Link-local IPv Address fe c e b a eb aa IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Tunnel adapter isatap reliancebroadband co in Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix reliancebroadband co in Tunnel adapter TO Adapter Connection-specific DNS Suffix reliancebroadband co in IPv Address bed e d bed e d Default Gateway Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix IPv Address ef fd cc c b Link-local IPv Address fe cc c b Default Gateway C Users Hiren s gt nbsp

A:Internet connected through DSL modem but not through Wifi Router

I also tried friend's TP-Link router, with my Cable, Then it connects perfectly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/internet-connected-through-dsl-modem-but-not-through-wifi-router.205006/
Relevancy 59.34%

I have a new Belkin router, and we got it set up and running, but have been having some problems.

It will connect no problem, but every 10 minutes or so, the modem light on the router will begin to flash orange instead of blue, and I will lose connectivity.

I have tried the method of unplugging the modem, and then plugging it back in after connecting to the router... But nothing seems to work.

Any help is appreciated!!!

Relevancy 59.34%

Today i bought a router i plugged it in and set everything up as according to the instructions i put my pc on etc and started browsing the internet When i connected a second pc to the router both pcs internet began to run dreadfully Using Slow Dreadfully When Router Speed Internet slowly like so slow Dreadfully Slow Internet Speed When Using Router that it couldn t open webpages Now when i turned off the second PC and disconnected it from the internet totally the internet was still running slow on the original PC Dreadfully Slow Internet Speed When Using Router when it was working fine before I then tried rebooting everything and starting again but the slow internet speed remains While writing this message iam using a direct internet connection from the modem to the PC btw I made sure on both PCs all programs were closed except internet explorer and explorer exe aswell but this made no difference I am using a Mb ADSL connection and iam assured by my ISP that Mb is more than enough for two pcs to use between them Can anyone with experience of this problem help me out i don t really know what is going on here Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Dreadfully Slow Internet Speed When Using Router

You might want to try a few ping tests:

1. Try and ping your router (note the speed in ms, should be 1)
2. Try and png your 2nd PC (should also be quite quick)
3. Try and ping a public ip address in your country (or a website, should be under 100)
4. Try and ping www.ireland.com

If you receive timeout errors or extremely high times (1000+ ms) then something is taking up your bandwidth perhaps. Let me know how u go & if need be i'll guide u further :grinthumb

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dreadfully-slow-internet-speed-when-using-router.55995/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi Team,

I've purchased a DIR 600 router 3 months back, from the time I've purchased it i haven't been able to get it to work...

have been on long calls with the DIR tech team, but all in vein!!!

In the past 3 months I've got 3 replacements for the router.

The Issue is->Every time i connect to the internet via router the internet speed is painfully slow... google takes 15mins to open up

On the contrary when i connect directly using the Modem the internet speed is just fine and the internet line has no issues at all. (its a 2MBPS line)

Please help me get the router to work!!!

Thanks,
Sam

Relevancy 59.34%

Hi I am using the Linksys EtherFast Slow internet speed! Router - troubles Wireless Access Point Cable DSL Router with -Port Switch Model BEFW S V I noticed my internet connection was awfully slow as it is supposed to be up to Mbps I was getting half that at Mbps So through process of elimination I determined it was the router I disconnected the router plugged directly into modem and got Mbps First thing I did was switch out the cable to see if that had any effect It did not So here I am - that s all I know how to do Is there ANYTHING at all some setting or something Router troubles - Slow internet speed! I need to do in order to obtain the highest possible internet speed I am paying for Please help Thanks in advance Ps By the way I already shut down all unnecessary programs to see if that had any affect and it did not Also shut off Windows Firewall - no effect I am using Windows XP MCE SP Gb RAM GB Hard Drive s Pentium Processor at GHz NO viruses malware Router troubles - Slow internet speed! spyware Router troubles - Slow internet speed! or any unnecessary applications are running ALL cache s temps are clear Modem working great as you might have acertained due to the speed it is arriving at without the Linksys Router hooked up nbsp

Relevancy 59.34%

Hi, I have two computers (one a wireless laptop, one a wired desktop), both are running Windows 7. The wired desktop has a download speed of 10 Mbps while the laptop has speed of 30 Mbps. (Both were connecting at the same, fast speed before.

I tried replacing the cable that connects the computer with the router, but that is not the problem. A friend brought his computer over and it also ran at 30 bps.

It has been like this for about 3 weeks, although for one day, the speed was back up to around 30 Mbps, and then dropped back down, and it has not changed since then.

A:Problem with internet speed on one of two computers using same router.

Depending on your router, you can set your MAC ID to receive priority bandwidth. I do it so that my neighbor doesn't suck away the bandwidth when I'm watching Hulu or such. Worked great until my g/f told the neighbor what I'd done thinking she was talking about a different neighbor.

http://www.sevenforums.com/browsers-mail/296024-problem-internet-speed-one-two-computers-using-same-router.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Well, i've got this router 2wire 1701hg gateway and i's VERY old. I'm thinking about upgrading it. Will it speed up my connection? (the router is DSL. if I buy a ADSL it should speed up my connection, right?)

A:Will upgrading my router speed up my internet connection?

Quote: Originally Posted by domdomrys

Well, i've got this router 2wire 1701hg gateway and i's VERY old. I'm thinking about upgrading it. Will it speed up my connection? (the router is DSL. if I buy a ADSL it should speed up my connection, right?)

The choke point is the ISP not the router. What are you supposed to be getting from them?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/199244-will-upgrading-my-router-speed-up-my-internet-connection.html
Relevancy 59.34%

I recently added a Netgear N-300 router to my Dell desktop, less than three years old. The computer is still hard wired into the router, as I am only using the router at this point to stream movies from Netflix onto the tv. Since adding the router into the system, my download speed has slowed from .56MBPS to.20. (Unfortunately I cannot upgrade my speed as I am too far from AT&T's central station. I have DSL service with them.) My upload speed remains unchanged at .32. Is it possible to optimize the router so my speed will return? For now, I have taken the router out of the system. Thanks so much. XP Pro OS, Google Chrome browser.

Relevancy 59.34%

Morning, guys.

I have GPON optitcs coming to my house(FTTH). Optic cable connects to Alcatel-Lucent box. Box is connected to router, router to wifi AP. It looks like this:

---(optics)-----> [Alcatel-Lucent box] <----(cat 5e ethernet)----> [TP-Link LAN Router] <----(cat 5e ethernet)----> [D-Link Wi-Fi Router] < - - - b/g/n mixed wifi - - - > {computers}

Provider says I should have 100 mbit/s internet connection. If I connect my notebook directly to Alcatel-Lucent box via ethernet cable, i get 96.4 mbit/s down and about 50 up(i'll post a speedtest pic soon).

If I connect notebook to Lan router directly:

If I connect it to Wi-Fi AP using LAN cable(say, it's the same):

How can I maximize the speed? Ideas?

Thanks.

Relevancy 59.34%

hey. im having trouble over my router. since i installed it, my internet speed is very low like 20kbps. when i used my modem, speed goes 64kbps (which is my actual speed provided by ISP). im the only one using this router. so my question is what should i do. OS doesnt support modem.

PS: plz dont tell me mozilla 10x fast speed rubbish.

Relevancy 59.34%

Is a router with 11 mbps faster than one with 56mbps? I have sypatico with 100 mbps speed and im trying to find a router that will allow for high speed transfers. does router speed make a difference, does download and upload speed all rely on how fast my sympatico is?

A:Question about router speed and internet connection

No. The router normally allows the full speed from your ISP-provider (which is hardly ever more than 2MB anyway). So any router would do for that matter.
The switch-part of the router allows traffic between PCs on that netweork. That is limited only by the Switch-speed (either 10MB or 100MB) and/or the PC's NIC speed, also normally 10/100MB. Some more expensive routers allow network-speeds of 1GB, provided all the PC-NICs are also 1GB.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/question-about-router-speed-and-internet-connection.19323/
Relevancy 59.34%

I m wondering if someone can help me troubleshoot a problem I have cable get rebooting full to keep internet speed router Have to my internet that is advertised at mbps and when working properly can get closer to mpbs When it s Have to keep rebooting my router to get full speed internet working it s great But I am finding that I have constantly reboot my router a DLink DIR- due to Have to keep rebooting my router to get full speed internet slow internet My speeds will slow to somewhere between kbps and Mbps which is of course painful Rebooting the router seems to solve the problem every time but it doesn t seem to ever go more than a few hours without needing to be rebooted Here are some details about my setup that may help you help me I am using Macs and PC along with a NAS device and a networked printer I also have a second gigabit hub that is connected to the main router for further expansion as needed The DIR- has the most recent version of the firmware My ISP is Road Runner One question I am using Mozy for online backup and it has been processing a large amount of data uploading in its initial backup at around Kbps Is it possible that Road Runner is quietly throttling down my download speeds because of this uploading I m guessing probably not if merely rebooting the router solves the issue however temporarily I welcome any help you can provide and can provide further detail as needed nbsp

A:Have to keep rebooting my router to get full speed internet

If its only a few hours - Stop the Backup
Disconnect the other devices and try with Just ONE PC - see if that also has a probelm after a few hours

Did this happen with the new firmware update ????
How old is the router ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/have-to-keep-rebooting-my-router-to-get-full-speed-internet.892951/
Relevancy 59.34%

I currently have high speed internet through frontier, but I am coming to realize how slow the connection is. The average download speed is approximately 4 to 7 KB/sec, which seems to me to be ridiculously slow. I have a DSL Modem and DIR-655 Router, and everything is slow (it was like this before we had the router as well, so that is not the problem). I was simply wondering if there is a reason that downloads are so slow; my computer in general is very fast (it is only a few months old), but the internet is just plain down slow at downloads. Is this my server or is that speed pretty common? (Or is there something else that I might not be aware of)

Thanks for your time!