Windows Support Forum

Hard drive recovery and re-activate

Q: Hard drive recovery and re-activate

Hello Guys. I really need you guys help. I had been using my portable external drive for about a year. as of today all in the sudden my computer doesn't read it anymore. I tried to go to Disk Management to change the disk path. However it doesn't work. Please help!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Hard drive recovery and re-activate

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Hard drive recovery and re-activate

Confirm the portable hard drive status in Disk Management like RAW, unrecognized etc. please.
Try Recuva from piriform to recover your hard drive data, if its recoverable. Ask for replacement from your manufacturer if its still in warranty period.

HOpe it helps!!a

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-recovery-and-re-activate.188399/
Relevancy 64.5%

I have a removable SSD as my windows drive to boot from. It has issues and I can't change any IP stuff on any of the network adaptors because I can't remove the VMWare Bridge Protocol.
I have ordered a new SSD same brand and size. I plan to pull the old drive out (was upgraded from Win8.1 to Win 10) and pop the new drive in and start fresh. The other drive is there in case it does not work and I can just pop it back in.

Plan to do a fresh install of Win 10. Now the question is will it activate okay and keep the other disk activated as well or will it fail to activate? I want to keep the old drive fully operational till I have everything transferred which may take a while.

Thanks.

A:New Hard Drive. Will it still activate okay

Hi veldthui,

Yes it will activate as the MS servers will recognise your system and know you have previously activated W10 on it. Make sure you skip the activation step during installation of W10 and leave it to do it itself once you have finished.

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/34705-new-hard-drive-will-still-activate-okay.html
Relevancy 64.5%

Folks I've got I drive? hard How a de-activate do two hard-drives installed in my Vista Ultimate rig The How do I de-activate a hard drive? boot disk is quot C quot EVERYTHING is on it The other hard-disk is quot D quot it is purely a backup disk quot D quot was filled up with old backups I deleted How do I de-activate a hard drive? them all by selecting and deleting the folders Next I tried running backup and restore It goes into a quot searching for backup location quot infinite loop It doesn't recognize that quot D quot is there Hey it used to see and use quot D quot just fine I went into Disk Manager and noticed that quot C quot is quot active quot and quot system quot That seems good quot D quot was quot active quot as well My understanding is that quot D quot cannot be active if I am going to backup TO it I have no idea how quot D quot became an active drive If I make it inactive will it then be a viable backup destination If so how do make the quot D quot drive not active Thanks Ken

A:How do I de-activate a hard drive?

Please open an Elevated Command Prompt, and run the following command

DISKPART

you'll get a new prompt - type
LIST VOLUME

EXIT

Copy and paste the output to your response.

Here are some instructions to make life easier
1) To open an Elevated Command Prompt Window (the CP window), click on Start, All Programs, Accessories – then right-click on Command Prompt, and select Run as Administrator. Accept the UAC prompt.
2) To run the commands easier, highlight the block of commands, and right-click on the highlight – select Copy. In the CP Windows, click on the black/white icon at top left – select Paste. The commands will run but may not complete the last command, so hit the Enter Key once.
3) To copy the results... click on the Black/White icon in the top left, and select Edit... 'Select All', and hit the Enter key - then use Ctrl+V or r-click+Paste to paste it into your response.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/297426-how-do-i-de-activate-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi,

I have an activated copy of Windows 10 running on my system. I am thinking of replacing my old HHD with a new SSD. I would want to do a clean install of Windows 10. My question is if Windows 10 will activate. Will it know its the same computer after I've replaced the disk drive?

Thanks.

A:Will Windows 10 Activate If I Replace Hard Drive With New One?

Originally Posted by SeanFilidis

Hi,

I have an activated copy of Windows 10 running on my system. I am thinking of replacing my old HHD with a new SSD. I would want to do a clean install of Windows 10. My question is if Windows 10 will activate. Will it know its the same computer after I've replaced the disk drive?

Thanks.

Hi there

Usually always. I've never had a problem with windows activation after replacing a HDD. Take backup image from old HDD and restore to new one. Simple - as easy as that.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.tenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/39096-will-windows-10-activate-if-i-replace-hard-drive-new-one.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi,

Thanks.

A:Will Windows 10 Activate If I Replace Hard Drive With New One?

Originally Posted by SeanFilidis

Hi,

Thanks.

Hi there

Usually always. I've never had a problem with windows activation after replacing a HDD. Take backup image from old HDD and restore to new one. Simple - as easy as that.

Cheers
jimbo

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/39096-will-windows-10-activate-if-i-replace-hard-drive-new-one.html
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi,

I've swapped my laptops hard drive following a fault. Dell gave me a usb restore drive which I used to build the hard drive to Windows 8.1

I've now found that Windows will not activate and I'm being prompted to enter a product key.

I don't have a registration key as its injected into the bios.. Can support please resolve this? I believe I need to provide you with my service tag?

Thanks

A:Windows 8.1 won't activate after hard drive swap

Hi,
Thank you for writing to us.
We would like to know if the Motherboard was replaced on the system ,in case the motherboard was replaced you would have received Key with it.
Kindly provide us with the service tag and email address.
Thanks
Robin

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19979888
Relevancy 62.35%

Hello, I had replaced my harddrive after it failed a few day ago, and I tried to reinstal windows 8 with my recovery disk. However, the setup is not pulling the Activation Key from the BIOS and w8 computers do not come with activation keys. What can be done to resolve this issue? So far I have used the Generic W8 key to at least install windows on the new drive, but I am stuck because I cannot activate. Any help is greatly Appreciated.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Failed-Hard-Drive-Can-t-figure-out-how-to-activate-Windows-8/td-p/5814584
Relevancy 62.35%

This is for a buddies laptop. I've attached the near dead hard drive and extracted, or tried to, the product key using Nuclear Coffee recovery keys but I'm pretty sure the key its brought up is the factory image key (my buddy tried a factory reset) not the proper COA one. (it didn't activate on a fresh install)

Does anyone has any experience with Microsoft activation support giving the COA over the phone? If they have a record of the COA on their system and my buddy can prove he owns the laptop and sends them a picture of the COA sticker that is rubbed out......

Its such a dumb idea for these COA stickers to be on the bottom of a laptop where after a few years use the are going to rub off. If Microsoft dont help him out I'm tempted to tell him to install a hooky copy

A:COA sticker rubbed out - need to activate but hard drive is toast

1. If this is a system that was originally installed by the manufacturer, then the key that is in the system is a generic OEM key that is no good for a reinstallation.

2. Microsoft has no track record of the COA keys. Those are different for each PC and specific for that PC. The manufacturer gives that out.

3. Your best option now is to ask the manufacturer of the PC to send you an installation disc. They usually charge $20 for that.

4. A 'hooky' copy is not an option. That will give you nothing but trouble. If #3 is not possible, I would install Linux Mint Mate. That is a fine easy to use system and it is for free.

If you download this PDF from my Skydrive, you find the controls for 7 video tutorials on how to setup Mint Mate.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/311775-coa-sticker-rubbed-out-need-activate-but-hard-drive-toast.html
Relevancy 62.35%

Hi I recently had to reinstall Windows Home Premium bit on my Dell XPS z In so doing I formatted the hard drive Now when I try to activate using my product key I get error code xc e Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how I can go about activating All the best Leon edit For further clarification I reinstalled Windows using this guide and the Digital River download of Windows Home Premium bit Code Diagnostic Report ----------------------------------------- Windows Validation Data-- gt Validation Code Cached Online Validation Code x Windows Product Key - -QCPVQ-KHRB -RMV Windows Product Key Hash Rj N 7, windows activate can't reinstalled Formatted hard drive, NLM JqoBO OzgzTZXgbY Windows Product ID -OEM- - Windows Product ID Type Windows License Type OEM SLP Windows OS version ID B CF- D D- - C - B C A Is Admin Yes TestCab x LegitcheckControl ActiveX N A hr x Signed By N A hr x Product Name Windows Home Premium Architecture Formatted hard drive, reinstalled windows 7, can't activate x Build lab win sp gdr - TTS Error Validation Diagnostic Resolution Status N A Vista WgaER Data-- gt ThreatID s Formatted hard drive, reinstalled windows 7, can't activate N A hr x Version N A hr x Windows XP Notifications Data-- gt Cached Result N A hr x File Exists No Version N A hr x WgaTray exe Signed By N A hr x WgaLogon dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Notifications Data-- gt Cached Result N A hr x Version N A hr x OGAExec exe Signed By N A hr x OGAAddin dll Signed By N A hr x OGA Data-- gt Office Status Formatted hard drive, reinstalled windows 7, can't activate N A OGA Version N A x Signed By N A hr x Office Diagnostics D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - D FF - - Browser Data-- gt Proxy settings N A User Agent Mozilla compatible MSIE Win Default Browser C Program Files x Google Chrome Application chrome exe Download signed ActiveX controls Prompt Download unsigned ActiveX controls Disabled Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins Allowed Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe Disabled Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control Disabled Active scripting Allowed Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting Allowed File Scan Data-- gt Other data-- gt Office Details lt GenuineResults gt lt MachineData gt lt UGUID gt B CF- D D- - C - B C A lt UGUID gt lt Version gt lt Version gt lt OS gt lt OS gt lt Architecture gt x lt Architecture gt lt PKey gt - - - -RMV lt PKey gt lt PID gt -OEM- - lt PID gt lt PIDType gt lt PIDType gt lt SID gt S- - - - - - lt SID gt lt SYSTEM gt lt Manufacturer gt Dell Inc lt Manufacturer gt lt Model gt Dell System XPS Z lt Model gt lt SYSTEM gt lt BIOS gt lt Manufacturer gt Dell Inc lt Manufacturer gt lt Version gt A lt Version gt lt SMBIOSVersion major quot quot minor quot quot gt lt Date gt lt Date gt lt BIOS gt lt HWID gt FE lt HWID gt lt UserLCID gt lt UserLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt SystemLCID gt lt TimeZone gt Romance Standard Time GMT lt TimeZone gt lt iJoin gt lt iJoin gt lt SBID gt lt stat gt lt stat gt lt msppid gt lt msppid gt lt name gt lt name gt lt model gt lt model gt lt SBID gt lt OEM gt lt OEMID gt DELL lt OEMID gt lt OEMTableID gt QA lt OEMTableID gt lt OEM gt lt GANotification gt lt MachineData gt lt Software gt lt Office gt lt Result gt lt Result gt lt Products gt lt Applications gt lt Office gt lt Software gt lt GenuineResults gt Spsys log Content x Licensing Data-- gt Software licensing service version Name Windows R HomePremium edition Description Windows Operating System - Windows R OEM SLP channel Activation ID d c e -c dd- -b f -f f d d Application ID c -d - d - e-d ec f f Extended PID - - - - - - - Installation ID Processor Certificate URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkID Machine Certificate URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkID Use License URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkID Product Key Certificate URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkID Partial Product Key RMV License Status Initial grace period Time remaining minute s day ... Read more

A:Formatted hard drive, reinstalled windows 7, can't activate

Welcome to the forums, can you tell the experts where you got your product key from ? Did you format the whole drive including the recovery partitions ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/330788-formatted-hard-drive-reinstalled-windows-7-cant-activate.html
Relevancy 62.35%

I have two laptops, a ThinkPad T30 and a Latitude C840 (they are both working with XP SP2, except the T30 doesn't have a screen). I'd like to move the T30's drive into the C840, but when I do this, the C840 will hang right after the BIOS screen (incl. the XP CD's Press a key to boot off the CD if I tell it to boot from the disc drive first).

My first thought was to try Recovery Console from the XP CD. I can log into the install, and I've already tried fixmbring and fixbooting it. This doesn't help.

This leaves the option of the drivers not being right. I installed the C840 chipset drivers, nothing.

I'd really rather not go on a wild goose chase trying to figure out what'll get things up and running, so can you guys gimme a suggestion?

Thanks!
Ethan

A:Moved hard drive and cannot boot; hard drive accessable from Recovery Console

You can't simple move one drive from one machine to another because the drivers are specific to the hardware. Did you receive recovery CDs for the Latitude? If so, you could use them to "restore" it to its factory default with the new drive. This may actually be on a partition of the hard drive.
As an alternative, you could create an image of the original drive and restore it to the new one using some freeware such as DriveImage XML. To restore the image to the new drive, you'll need to boot to a bootable CD using something like UBCD4WIN and restore the image from somewhere on your network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/moved-hard-drive-and-cannot-boot-hard-drive-accessable-from-recovery-console.528901/
Relevancy 60.63%

Hi Folks nbsp I have an XPS which was running a fully updated version of Windows nbsp Using Dell Backup and Recovery free edition I created a Factory Backup of Recovery Media to DVD nbsp So far so good So now the hard drive failed and I ve installed its replacement nbsp I boot off the 8.1 How for Recovery Recovery after to Windows use Drive Media Hard Replacement Recovery Media How to use Recovery Media for Windows 8.1 Recovery after Hard Drive Replacement but there are NO OPTIONS to recover that actually work nbsp On the initial screen I get Troubleshoot or Turn off your PC So I choose Troubleshoot nbsp I m then presented with Refresh Reset Advanced Options and Command Prompt nbsp Refresh says the drive is locked and to unlock it first huh nbsp If I choose a quot Reset quot I m presented with a seemingly related issue quot Unable to Reset your PC A required drive partition is missing quot Why isn t there a quot Press this stupid button and we ll reinstall everything off the Recovery Media you created quot nbsp This seems totally absurd nbsp Am I losing my mind Thanks in advance

A:How to use Recovery Media for Windows 8.1 Recovery after Hard Drive Replacement

Hi Spamcop01,
I would suggest you to try booting the system with the recovery discs again so that this time it will boot using the disc. If you’re still facing the same issue the recovery disc may be corrupt. Please send me a private message with the computer's service tag, Name registered during the system purchase and email address so that I can check and assist you further. To send a private message, click on my name and send private message.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19537766
Relevancy 58.48%

The hard drive on my Inspiron 3521 laptop recently failed and I had to replace it.  I ordered the recovery USB from Dell.  I was able to restore Windows, but it will not activate.  This is preventing me from upgrading to Win10.  I get the following error message on the windows activation screen:
Error code: 0xC004C003
Activation server has determined that the specified product key has been blocked.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

A:Windows 8.1 won't activate after system recovery with Dell Recovery USB

Try to Clean Reinstall Windows 8.1, see here:
http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/
Let me know if it activates from a direct Clean Reinstall.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4677/t/19647768
Relevancy 57.62%

Sorry I am a computer novice; but, I am running out of hard drive C space and I thought maybe I could put Recovery Drive D on a flash drive in order to free up drive C space.

If this is possible, can you refer me to some instructions on how to do this?

Thanks in advance for your help.

A:Can you put Recovery Drive D on a flash drive to free up hard drive

To be honest a recovery drive won't give you much space (10 GB or so?). You are better off with a USB external HDD and move your less accessed data to the external.

I wonder what others will say.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/370017-can-you-put-recovery-drive-d-flash-drive-free-up-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 57.19%

My hard drive failed last Saturday reading quot operating system not found readable) hard drive? recovery an old (failed vista using of new a partition still Installing the drive on but quot BIOS testing resulted in error Installing vista on a new hard drive using the recovery partition of an old (failed but still readable) drive? replace hard drive At this point the drive won t boot but data can still be read I have a new hard drive The backup disk I made for Vista isn t working I thought of borrowing one from a friend but my OEM key on the bottom has completely worn off Installing vista on a new hard drive using the recovery partition of an old (failed but still readable) drive? HP says they cannot help and Microsoft wants me to pay for a replacement key I d like to avoid that if possible Is there any way to use the recovery partition on the old drive to install Vista on the new drive My laptop has two hard drive bays but I only have one caddy so ideally I d like to connect it using an enclosure Also I do have access to another computer that I could use as a quot go-between quot if needed For example if it s possible to simply copy and paste the recovery partition files I could use the enclosure to copy them from the old drive to the working computer then put the new drive in the enclosure and copy the files onto that Any advice appreciated Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/414230/installing-vista-on-a-new-hard-drive-using-the-recovery-partition-of-an-old-failed-but-still-readable-drive/
Relevancy 56.76%

hi guys. the external hard drive, here at work, cannot be detected by any of the computers. my thoughts are that the data was wiped clean. i've removed the hard drive from the case and installed it onto my computer as a slave drive. a) how can i view if these files still exist. and b) if they are missing, can you recommend a software recovery program?

Relevancy 56.76%

I just noticed that I am only able to use ~500GB of the 750GB I have on my hard drive. On Disk Management, it says that "System Reserved" takes up 100MB, "RECOVERY" takes up 179.67GB and "C:" takes up 518.87GB.

A:Why is my recovery drive taking up 179GB of my 750gb hard drive?

Post a screenshot of Disk Management as described in Disk Management - Post a Screen Capture Image

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/373864-why-my-recovery-drive-taking-up-179gb-my-750gb-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I was uploading very important pictures to my old HP and i got a BSOD. I tried to reboot but the main partition for the HDD seems to be corrupted. If i put the HDD as a slave drive in my gaming comp i can access every partition except the main boot partition. Is there any program i could use to recover the files from this partition? I would rather not take it into a repair shop because it would be cheaper for me to buy the software and do it myself.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-recovery-248959.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hey everyone! first post!

So i messed up and changed something around with how the partitions work on my slave drive and rendered it unusable. Now the drive is in RAW format. I ran Easeus data recovery and was able to get access to the files on that drive.

I have two options, since i haven't enough space to put all this data somewhere else (over 1,000 GB)

1. Format the hard drive so its readable and in the correct format, THEN do a recovery of the drive and then save onto said drive.

2. Try and save the recovered files on the drive

So my question is...are either of those options possible? or do i have to find another way?

thanks in advanced!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-recovery-help.1154685/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have only had this laptop for about 4 months. I am trying to reset it back to default due to clutter and it says that the recovery part is missing. I check the hard drive and it is there.I have reinstalled the bios as support tells me but it still won't work. It won't let me do the full reinstall and it won't let me do a quick one either.I don't want to take it to a shop as it's new and it shouldn't be happening.Please help it is getting on my nerves.Thankyou to whoever can help me.

A:Recovery By Hard Drive

panther039 Hello;Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!I read your post about problems with your new HP PC and wanted to help.You should not be having problems with a PC this new.While this PC is still under warranty, you should contact HP Customer Support directly to have them put you in touch with HP Technical Support to see what they can do about diagnosing and repairing your machine remotely.I did this recently and the HP Tech was able to remotely access my PC from the Internet and do the needed repairs.If you live in the US or Canada, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/phone-assist.html#section1If you live elsewhere, contact information is on this page: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/contact-hp/ww-contact-us.htmlNOTE: After you get through, stay on the line until you are finally able to talk to some one -- it can take a while!Good Luck

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Recovery-By-Hard-Drive/td-p/5737989
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi,

I have an external Samsung 160 gb hard drive that was loaded with about 90 gig of music. I tried cloning it to a brand new Maxtor larger 250 gb drive. The clone said it finished successfully and now when I plug EITHER drive in, it shows they both are empty. The crazy thing about the original Samsung drive is that it only shows it having ONE 30gb partition. I am assuming somehow my partition that actually had the music on it has been corrupt or damaged to where it can't be read. When ever I try to access to drive through 'my computer' it asks me if I want to format!!??? I know all this data MUST be on this drive.. Why does it say the drive only has one 30gb parition? Any help would be appreciated! Its making me sick to my stomach to think all my music could be lost!

Thanks.

Chris

A:Hard Drive Recovery Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try recovering the files first. If that doesn't work, try recovering the partition tables.

Free recovery applications:

1) Recuva
2) PCI File Recovery
3) Restoration
4) Free Undelete (NTFS only)
5) Softperfect File Recovery
6) ADRC Data Recovery Tools
7) Undelete Plus
8) Data Recovery
9) Recover Files
10) DriveRescue
11) Ultimate Data Recovery
12) Disk Investigator

Partitions:

Free:

Testdisk Documentation
Testdisk Download
Partition Find & Mount
Free DTIData NTFS Partition Repair Tool

Commercial:

Diskinternals Partition Recovery (Demo)
[email protected] Partition Recovery
Bootmaster Partition Recovery
ZAR Partition Recovery
DIY DataRecovery DiskPatch
Partition Table Doctor

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-recovery-help.647790/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi I owned an HP G - DX laptop which about a month or two ago would no longer power on After trying multiple batteries power adapters Hard Recovery Drive and replacing the power outlet panel itself there was no success - the blinking light would not illuminate That is a different story however I'm not interested in fixing it as it is old and I've purchased another laptop from a friend with some better specs I've been having some issues with the wifi on the new laptop but that is for another Hard Drive Recovery thread I also have a custom-built desktop PC that I am using While I've given up on repairing the old laptop I wanted to recover data from its hard drive It is a GB drive I removed the HD put it into a ziplock and brought it to a Micro Center nearby intending to buy a SATA to eSATA cable to hook it up to my new laptop and transfer data The clerk instead suggested that I buy a plug-and-play hard drive enclosure which would allow me to effectively turn my HD into an external USB device So I purchased that an Inland GD Model Series IL -U After installing my HD into the enclosure I plugged it into my desktop The corner pop-up appeared quot Installing device drivers quot and after a few seconds quot Device drivers installed successfully quot The drive is appearing in my device manager under quot Disk Drives quot as quot USB Device quot and though it appears to be working properly it is not appearing in quot My Computer quot and I cannot access the data I headed over to the quot Disk Management quot tab and it appears as quot Disk quot Disk being my internal drive and next to it is an icon with a red down arrow and the text quot Unknown quot and quot Not Initialized quot Right clicking the icon gives me the option to quot Initialize Disk quot which I selected and was prompted to choose a partition style either MBR or GPT Upon selecting either option I am met with an error popup reading quot The request could not be performed because of an I O device error quot After a google search and reading a few articles about the error I began troubleshooting I made sure the connections were all good tried restarting and tried different USB ports but with no changes Some articles suggested that I may need to change the transfer mode in the IDE channel properties however I was unable to follow their steps as my device did not seem to appear as the advanced settings that it said to change do not appear for me At this point I am unsure how to proceed

A:Hard Drive Recovery

Can't seem to find the "edit post" option now, sorry.
Some additional information that might be important. I've also plugged it into my newer laptop and had the same experience. Also when using the "Safely remove hardware" function it appears there as "USB to ATA/ATAP bridge"
I've also tried another USB connection cable with the same result. I'm beginning to worry that the hard drive became damaged at some point. I may test swapping the drive with the one currently in my newer laptop to see if it works, as that would probably determine if the drive itself is unrecoverable.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-drive-recovery-1107081.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello everyone I have a HP P6-2011 running Windows 7 Home Premium. The hard drive is going bad and I have purchased a Western Digital WD10EZEX that I am going to install to replace the bad drive. I want to make sure I do things properly. I have already backed up my files and created the recovery discs. What do I need to do after I remove the old drive and install the new one? Can I go right to the recovery using the discs I created? Or do I have to power it on first without the disc in and format the new hard drive? Like I said I just want to make sure I do everything right....thanks for everyone's help in advance!!!

A:Add New Hard Drive and then do Recovery

It is even easier than you think. Since you purchased a WD drive, you can download the free version of acronis true image from WD.
http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119

1 Download and install the WD acronis software. Reboot if prompted.
2 Shutdown and connect your new drive to the system. Do not attempt to partition or format the drive; just connect pw and data cables.
3 Select clone drive. Select source [old drive] and destination [new drive]
4 Complete the clone process
5 VERY important. DO NOT reboot with both drives connected. When finished with the clone, shutdown the system and remove the old drive. Connect the new drive to the same sata cable used for the old drive. Fully install the new drive; ie secure with screws, etc.
6 Once finished with the connections, pw ON and make sure drive letters are correct, etc.

Done and you did not have reinstall anything.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/add-new-hard-drive-and-then-do-recovery.1108708/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a hard drive that I need to recover data from (the drive is a WD Scorpio Blue). I have a laptop that I want to pull the information to via a SATA USB to HDD cord. My laptop is an MSI Stealth Pro running an i7 core (and a 970m GTX, if it matters). By all accounts my laptop should be able to handle whatever is thrown at it, its not even more than 2 months old. However, every time my HDD is connected via USB 3.0 port the laptop slows down and freezes. Nothing will work, including file explorer, CMD, or any of the HDD recovery software I've tried. Is there a way to fix this, or an easier way to recover this lost data?

A:RAW Hard Drive Recovery

Well it could be one of two things: either your sata adapter does not like your USB3.0 ports or the drive itself could be electrically or mechanically defective and that would surely cause the behavior you described, I have seen that many times. To be totally sure, try to hook it up to a different computer and see what it does.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/raw-hard-drive-recovery.1155059/
Relevancy 55.04%

I was using my hard drive and it suddenly crashed. Now, the computer is saying I must format it before I can be able to access it. Is there any way of getting the data back - it is quite important? I still haven't formatted it.

Relevancy 55.04%

I have a IDE/SATA cable Adapter to convert an internal hard drive to an external hard drive. Using Windows XP home. When I plug in the USB to the working computer the computer doesn't recognize the drive. I have connected another hard drive and it assigned a drive # but it has no files on it.

I know both drives have files on them. Is there anyway to recover the files without paying someone big bucks?

Relevancy 55.04%

I have a year-old hard drive in a laptop that inexplicably crashed about a week ago I had to do a hard shutdown Since then XP will not boot up I ve done everything I can think of in the recovery console It failed the read test in the diagnostics but chkdsk says everything is fine I ve also removed the hard drive and placed it in an enclosure to try to copy the files off of it I could hear the disk spinning but the computer won t recognize it Using the recovery CD in DOS I tried to copy my files to a USB key I was able to access the disk and can view the C Windows DOS using Drive Hard recovery directory However I had a user password to protect my account and when I try to copy files it tells me that access is denied I have three main questions Is there a way to circumvent the password in DOS Is there a way to get to a point where I can enter my password to gain access to the files in DOS Are there any other tricks anyone has up their sleve that might help save my files If I can t figure this out I m going to run fixmbr in the recovery console and hope it doesn t erase my data Will that erase everything too Thanks a lot nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

Hi All
My primary slave hard drive ,started making mad clicking noises yesterday,before i had a chance to back it up it has failed completely.My problem is i used that drive for all my photos over the last 2 years virtually and silly me have not backed them up.Is there any way i can recover these at all {wife and kids will kill me otherwise}.

Relevancy 55.04%

ok guys I recovery hard drive have a Toshiba MK GSX GB SATA Laptop HDD which i have been told has failed I finally got a Sata Pata converter card only goes SATA TO PATA in an attempt to recover the data When i hard drive recovery boot my desktop with my regular HDD PATA and the SATA HDD as the secondary it would detect that it was a Toshiba MK GSX but would not boot SO I plugged the primary HDD in on its own cable in pl and the SATA on its own cable in hard drive recovery pl I hard drive recovery then was able to boot The black screen at the boot showed the drive but when windows came up and I checked in MY COMPUTER XP the drive was not there So i then went to ADD NEW HARDWARE and there was no help ALSO I have a second PATA HDD that i use to store files so i know i can have more than Thanx in advance for assist P S I have other posts with attatchments leading up to this b i got the adapter if want to research or see the adapter nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-recovery.747318/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi

I am having a problem with the accessing the hard drive on my computer. When I turn my PC on the hard drive is not being detected at all, and Everything stops. I tried pressing del to enter the setup, but nothing happens, the same happens when I restarted the computer and Pressed f8, absolutely nothing. I think the drive is finished. Any advice Welcome.

Do you have the operating disk or floppy boot disk??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-recovery.400565/
Relevancy 55.04%

my Acer laptop is dead due to lost power input supply. Adapter broke off. is there some way i can recover the info from the hard drive. are there another laptops they i could slip my old hard drive into and recover the files. is there an adaptor i can attach to the HD to read the file through dome port on my other laptop (Compaq).
thanks

Its a bit difficult to fit a second HDD to a laptop unless you buy an external USB or FireWire case/interface, but conversion cables to allow a laptop drive to be installed and read in a desktop PC are very cheap.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-recovery.214690/
Relevancy 55.04%

Didn't quite know where to put this thread Hard drive Windows or XP I have a Windows PC OS is on my C drive I installed my old C drive from my last computer now D drive It had XP on it old Windows files still there plus documents and pictures Didn't copy files over merely linked them to D with shortcuts recovery hard XP drive which Windows does nicely My girlfriend wanted XP on her latop which had to XP hard drive recovery be formatted I gave her my old XP found out I needed to delete XP off my old drive in order to re-license it Attempted XP hard drive recovery to delete it needed quot administrator status quot wouldn't delete XP hard drive recovery Formatted my old hard drive instead Found out all my files are lost my own stupidity Downloaded recovery program got back all my pictures but NOT my documents in I assume quot documents and settings quot Work lost in this folder is very important Is there any way I can get my old documents back including word and abode Preliminary investigation tells me I may be screwed but I would love some advice Yours Griff

A:XP hard drive recovery

I would add the old drive you need to recover files from into another computer as a secondary drive. Don't install any programs or files on the old drive. Doing so may overwrite files you're trying to recover.

Try running a program like Recuva or EaseUS Data Recovery and see if you can recover your files. I prefer EaseUS because you can image the old drive then do your recovery from the image. It's a time consuming process

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-hard-drive-recovery-629677.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I accidentally did something bad to a hard drive of mine that has information on it that I want to keep but I think it should all still be recoverable Here is the overview of what I did and I was hoping someone might know how or what software I need to Recovery Hard Drive recover the data on my hard drive if possible First off the drive is a data drive not a system drive there is no OS installed on the drive Its a GB Pata Maxtor HD I was making a dualboot linux XP machine Installed XP on a different drive I didn t have SP installed for XP yet and forgot that XP wouldn t recognize the full size of HD without SP So in quot My Computer quot XP showed a GB hard and said it was unformatted if I tried to click on it I went into Adminstrative Tools Storage to view the partitions and it showed a partitioned GB HD with NO Filesystem on it it was a GB single partition NTFS drive Anyway stupidly I right clicked the drive and said activate Anyway now after installing SP i see the drive as a GB partitioned but with Hard Drive Recovery no filesystem and then the rest of the drive as Hard Drive Recovery unpartitioned space I have not done anything to the drive since haven t actually changed any partitions formatted etc So currently I can t access the drive in Windows unless I Hard Drive Recovery either format or repartition and then format I don t want to do this and I was hoping there would be some sort of partition recovery software that would let me convert the two partitions back into one and specify NTFS system and that hopefully all my data would still be there If you know of anyway I can recover this HD without having to wipe it clean and reformat it I would be much appreciated Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-recovery.669802/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi,

I have an external Samsung 160 gb hard drive that was loaded with about 90 gig of music. I tried cloning it to a brand new Maxtor larger 250 gb drive. The clone said it finished successfully and now when I plug EITHER drive in, it shows they both are empty. The crazy thing about the original Samsung drive is that it only shows it having ONE 30gb partition. I am assuming somehow my partition that actually had the music on it has been corrupt or damaged to where it can't be read. When ever I try to access to drive through 'my computer' it asks me if I want to format!!??? I know all this data MUST be on this drive.. Why does it say the drive only has one 30gb parition? Any help would be appreciated! Its making me sick to my stomach to think all my music could be lost!

Thanks.

Chris

A:Hard Drive Recovery Help!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please don't double-post.

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?t=647790

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-recovery-help.647789/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a friend's computer that crashed. He asked if I could retrieve all of his information from his hard drive. So now I'm here. I put his hard drive into my computer and it did not work. So I found out that I need to put it as the secondary (slave). I tried that and it didn't recognize it. I heard that I have to jumper it to my hard drive. Now my question is how do you do that??? I would really appreciate any help. I'm sure that it is pretty simple just need some guidence. Thanks in advance!!!

A:hard drive recovery

There are pins on the back of the HD called jumpers. The HD should list 3 different settings
1. cable select (CS)
2. master
3. slave
depending on what kind of ribbon cable you have connecting the HD to the MB you would set the clip covering the pins to either CS or slave for a slave hookup.
But it sounds like the HD is toast to me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-recovery.365456/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have an old Gateway c computer that got struck by lightning or had a severe power surge and pretty much ruined the computer My insurance company paid me to replace it and I had a computer built for me by a local shop The lady at the store told me that she tried to hook my old gb HD the gateway HD into another computer to see if she could save some of the data on the drive She told me that the drive would not even appear in Hard Recovery Drive windows I don t believe that she tried very hard She talked like all she did was connect the HD to the IDE connector and that was Hard Drive Recovery it So Hard Drive Recovery my question is if I hook up the HD to the IDE connector will the old gb HD automatically appear in windows when I restart or do I have to install drivers or change BIOS settings I would like to attempt to save the HD or some data at least so if anybody has any ideas comments or website articles that would be great Thanks nbsp

You can slave the old drive so you can still boot with the existing drive.
You have to check the jumpers and make this drive a slave, see the mfg web site if you are not sure how to do this.
You need to change the bios settings to see the additional hd, probably setting it to auto detect will work.

If you are sure you have all the settings correct and still cannot access the old hd you can try putting it in the freezer for a few hours. I've had that work.

Helpful URL

Good luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-recovery.99743/
Relevancy 55.04%

What are some good services to recover hard drives confidentially and not so expensive?

Do you mean deleted files or bring some life back to a dead hard drive just to take your files off. If your trying to recover files you can try this program its open source so its free I haven't tried it so its up to you to try the link will be posted below. If your trying to bring some life back to a dead hard drive i hear it works if you put it in a plastic bag and stick it in the freezer and try that after a few hours... it sounds weird haven't tried that either but worth a try.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk_Download

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-recovery.665499/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hey,
I had watched on The Screen Savers, way back about a couple of years ago, that it was impossibe to get rid of all of your data on your hard drive unless you took a sledgehammer, and bashed it.

However, I formatted my hard drive, and I was wondering if there was a possibe way to recover ANYTHING if at all possibe on the formatted drive (that still exists).

Relevancy 55.04%

My computer would not shut down so I had to turn off manually When I rebooted Windows XP would not restart and I received messages about FAT and NTFS that I did not understand so short story I reinstalled Windows XP and did not have back up files I downloaded a program called Magic Unerase in an effort to retrieve important files ie taxes photo albums but didn't get proper tech support and now have a really big mess recovery drive Hard One of the directions in trying to retrieve files form the hard drive was to send the recovered files to a different drive but I didn't have anything other than a D drive and not being computer savvy I told tech support I didn't understand so they told me I could send files to my regular drive The files I have recovered have been showing up on my Hard drive recovery desktop but I cannot open most of them I cannot find my taxes or photos Now I am reading articles that say NEVER retrieve files to the hard drive that you're trying to find lost files on I am so lost and confused can anyone offer any help

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-recovery-202051.html
Relevancy 55.04%

My hard drive was somehow cleaned out. I lost all my files, photos, etc.
I understand that there are ways to resurect data from drives.
Does anyone have experience doing this? I need help. I have Windows XP Pro.

A:hard drive recovery

Hmmm, there are only 3 main ways a hard drive is wiped, one you repartition or delete it, 2 you manually delete all of the files on it (or a malicious software does it for you), and three you plug in the drive wrong (ie. you set it to master with another master already online!)

The question is, which do you think has happened to your hard drive?

I have experience in recovering data, but there is no 100% garauntee to recovery of a lost hard drive, sorry. You can try to get lost files using a file recovery program (if the files are still readable), but again that depends upon HOW your hard drive was wiped.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-recovery.876811/
Relevancy 55.04%

One of my PCs has been running chk disk recovery for days.

Blue xp screen with these messages scrolling....
Recovering orphaned file 455567~1 into directory 89187.
Recovering orphaned file xxxx-xxx-blah (212603) into directory 89187.

It was on (168000) Monday morning now at (212651).

I've never seen one of these run so long. Is there any hope of this thing actually recovering?

I saw this coming and backed up important data.

A:Hard drive recovery - maybe

Just a quick update for the 1000s following this thread...I've let this thing recover orphaned files for over a month now and it working on 1,392,050 now with no end in sight. I'm going to shut it down.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-recovery-maybe.887548/
Relevancy 55.04%

I'm trying to recover some data off a hard drive for my g/f, and I was out of town so she had to take it to a PC shop, and they said her hard drive was bad and they were unable to recover any data. Well, I just put the HDD in my PC and it recognizes it in the add hardware list and when I POST, but it doesn't show up when I go into Windows explorer, etc. Please help! Thanks.

Relevancy 55.04%

I just had a pleasant experience where I learned a couple things I thought I share A relative gave me very old IDE PATA hard drives of very small capacity way obsolete a WD and a drive recovery Hard gig Samsung from an HP box He asked if I could recover the Hard drive recovery data photos mp s etc I dragged out my yr old XP build with the IDE mobo and installed Recuva and the EASE US data recovery app The WD drive was fine and mounted and I could see the data so recovering it with Windows and dumping to a gig thumb USB drive was no problem The HP Samsung drive on the other hand was corrupt and appeared to Windows as unformatted Recuva came up empty and did not see it I used the EASE US partitioning app to see the drives so I Hard drive recovery could confirm that the WD had partitions and the Samsung was zip zero nada and looked unformatted Windows kept asking quot do you want me to format quot NO but the data still had to be there After running EASE US recovery app I was able to reclaim ton s of jpg s mp s and other docs from the bad drive and dump to the thumb drive it just took lots and lots of time for the tiny gig drive that tells you how old it was It had a Windows OS on it too so was the main drive Now here s the kicker In the interest of science I decided to do an experiment since the drives are going to be recycled trashed anyway I let Windows XP reformat the bad Samsung drive It took a very long time like well over an hour I then ran the EASE US recovery app again AND IT STILL FOUND THE SAME GOOD DATA Since it still looked empty from Windows recovering with Windows Explorer was not an option Going one step further I then ran the CCleaner HD wipe app in pass mode and it said it wanted - days to do it I aborted and ran just one pass in about an hour No idea why the big difference I again ran EASE US recovery and it found nothing at all with it s quot deep scan quot mode That single pass with CCleaner did a pretty good job Maybe the FBI forensic lab could find something So what s this prove since after reformatting Windows still could not see anything Maybe nothing since I still had to run the recovery app but maybe the free Recuva would have worked forgot to try it and it s good to know that reformatting a bad drive does not wipe the quot lost quot data Now a question for any experts out there If I d have taken the drives to a good PC shop is this all they d have done or do they have a heavy duty industrial grade app that would restore the drive to be searchable from Windows thus eliminating the need for many hours of deep scanning and loss of file names Thanks for listening nbsp

A:Hard drive recovery

Thanks for share this , looks interesting.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-recovery.1171858/
Relevancy 55.04%

Attempted to install the recovery discs on my new hard drive and it stalls in the second disc everytime.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Recovery-of-New-hard-drive/td-p/5843843
Relevancy 55.04%

I spotted that it's named Recovery, i open it and there's nothing in it...but when it's in a .rar it shows everything that it has in it, when i extracted it showed nothing, i think they're hidden...anyone knows how to make them visible?

Relevancy 54.18%

This is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

If I put a hard drive with windows 7 into an almost identical laptop it'll know the keys don't match BUT the new laptop has a key on it that is matched to the BIOS, the trouble is that the key on the new laptop was for Windows 8.

What do you think the odds are that the key for Windows 8 that matches the new Laptops BIOS will be accepted by the Windows 7 hard drive and allow it to work?

A:Can I use a Windows 8 OEM COA to activate a Windows 7 OEM hard drive?

No, definitely not, and would have been illegal even if it did.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/388144-can-i-use-windows-8-oem-coa-activate-windows-7-oem-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 54.18%

This is probably a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway.

If I put a hard drive with windows 7 into an almost identical laptop it'll know the keys don't match BUT the new laptop has a key on it that is matched to the BIOS, the trouble is that the key on the new laptop was for Windows 8.

What do you think the odds are that the key for Windows 8 that matches the new Laptops BIOS will be accepted by the Windows 7 hard drive and allow it to work?

A:Can I use a Windows 8 OEM COA to activate a Windows 7 OEM hard drive?

No, definitely not, and would have been illegal even if it did.

http://www.sevenforums.com/windows-updates-activation/388144-can-i-use-windows-8-oem-coa-activate-windows-7-oem-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 54.18%

If I have system recovery disks for my computer do I need the recovery portion of my hard drive?

A:Recovery Portion of Hard Drive

Yes ,you need that one also
I have a recovery disk but i do not the recovery partition
So it does not work

You can also try without the partition

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovery-portion-of-hard-drive-464737.html
Relevancy 54.18%

recovery DVD stok on 3 dvd...... Or fail to windows installation.....I have formated my disk comple   ERecovery Management stuck on windows install ...3 on dvd or it not installe completely fail error messages are missing some files

http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire-Desktops/New-Hard-Drive-Will-not-Boot-Using-Recovery-DVD-Aspire-x3995/td-p/441899/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi guys I've got an External USB Hard drive WD Elements GB HELP! Hard Recovery Drive Please External which has suddenly stopped working What do I mean by not working well Please HELP! External Hard Drive Recovery the Disks don't show up in 'My Computer' The device IS however showing up as a USB Device It has partitions Two FAT and NTFS So I searched the web for a solution got messing about in DISK MANAGEMENT It showed that my HD was online bit did not show the partitioned Please HELP! External Hard Drive Recovery drives just showed GB of free space UNFORTUNATELY I tried 'Convert to MBR' thinking this might help It didn't No change I'm not sure what format the drive was in before if the formats are compatible or if I just destroyed my access to any data that was previously on the HD I went into the DISKPART menu in the Command Prompt and got the disk details WD ELEMENTS USB DEVICE DISK ID A F B TYPE USB Status Online PATH TARGET LUN ID LOCATION PATH UNAVAILABLE Current Ready only state No Read-only No Boot Disk No PageFile Disk No Hibernation File Disk No Crashdump Disk No Clustered Disk No My QUESTIONS ARE Is there any way to salvage my data Have I fu ed up by converting to MBR Will I have to send my HDD to the Data Recovery people min quote Thanks for reading this far any Help is MUCH appreciated

A:Please HELP! External Hard Drive Recovery

What you can try, which will cost something, but a lot less than professional data recovery, is using a well-known data recovery app to see what it can find and recover. The download and trial is free -- so at least you can see how well it works without spending anything. Since this does not use the partition table to find files and directories, it tends to work well in these situations.

The actual recovery requires purchasing a license -- but that can be installed without rebooting or reinstalling the app. If you're interested in this, go to Runtime Software and read about their RecoverMyFiles app.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/292922-please-help-external-hard-drive-recovery.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Unfortunately like many other posts I have seen, my laptop has been operating extremely slow. It recently will not boot.Hard drive DST test code 6c54xs-5kp85p-xd014j-60ul03.Is there any way to recovery data from drive? We have a backup but it is a little dated.Thanks for the input.

A:Hard Drive Failure and Recovery?

slprrex Hello;Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!I read your post about needing to recover data from your hard drive and wanted to help.As long as the drive spins up, there is always a chance of recovering some of the data. What you will need to do is the following:1) Remove the drive from the laptop2) Connect the drive to a working PC using a USB-to-HDD adapter3) Install data recovery software on the working PC4) Run that software to retrieve files and folders from the drive. In terms of data recovery software, here is a free one: Recover Data in 3 Steps With MiniTool Power Data Recovery Free Edition - MajorGeeks If that doesn't find what you need, this is a better app but it is only free to try out: [email protected] File Recovery searches for lost & deleted files, recovers damaged volumes, disks & RAIDs Good Luck========================================================================I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.---------------------------------------------------------------If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".========================================================================

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Hard-Drive-Failure-and-Recovery/td-p/5675773
Relevancy 54.18%

I want to recover data (pics) from our Pavilion. SSD is an LBT-64L6G-HP (part #735315-001) by Hewlett Packard. My current tech can't find a cable/connector for transferring/retrieving the data. Any suggestions? Thanx!   John

A:SSD Hard Drive data recovery

Does something called M.2 NGFF sound like the right kind of product?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/SSD-Hard-Drive-data-recovery/td-p/5675032
Relevancy 54.18%

Here s the problem My old internal IDE hard drive is in a computer that has power problems I know this because there is the smell of smoke inside coming from the power supply This computer was given to me The computer will not power on but the hard drive is supposed to be good I ve swapped when On Hard PC will not Recovery Power Drive out the power supply with Hard Drive Recovery when PC will not Power On a known good one and therefore have isolated the problem as either a button or button wiring problem button Hard Drive Recovery when PC will not Power On will not fire As you know whenever there s a power problem it is also possible that there s also a motherboard problem so fixing it so that the hard drive works in this system may not be possible and if it is then it maybe akin to buying another PC I have another PC However I know that most hard drives are not swappable into other systems How can I at least recover those files and after that implement that drive into Windows as a second drive I know about jumper settings and hookups Any other help would be appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Hard Drive Recovery when PC will not Power On

Most HD's are not swap'able into other systems as the Primary, or C: drive. They can be attached as a slave drive, or on the secondary controller. So if you do have access to another PC, put the drive in as a slave to the current master. Then you can copy off any data you want....that's not corrupted.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-recovery-when-pc-will-not-power-on.556308/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi guys A friend of mine has asked me to look at her PC to see if I can get the data off her HDD for her Whenever the PC boots up it states the SMART test has failed so the HDD is on it's way out I've been trying different things Firstly tried putting it into my own system as another drive and couldn't get past the 'Windows Starting' screen Windows Then tried putting it back into hers inserting a Windows disc and booting from Hard issues recovery Drive that to attempt to create another partition install Windows on that partition then hopefully grab the data that way Anyway no luck Hard Drive recovery issues there either No hard drives show up recognized by BIOS If I click 'Load drivers' then it only comes up with Boot X I'm guessing something to do with the boot CD So gave up with that Installed a Linux distro onto a USB stick popped it in and booted from that Can't access the drive through that either but the HDD diagnostics tool on Linux can't remember what it's called does recognise it telling me it has errors The only Hard Drive recovery issues error it showed was 'Reallocated Sector Count' or something along them lines From what I can make out too many sectors have errors So tried popping it back into my PC HAZAR It started with the drive in Nowhere to be seen Not in device manager and not in Disk Management Restarted this time it recognised it to an extent It loaded drivers for it and it was visible momentarily in My Computer but it made it EXTREMELY slow to the point that it was virtually unusable so I shut down and unplugged the drive From what I can deduce of it so far the HDD is still accessible in someway but possibly only briefly Has anyone got any ideas of what I can do to be able to access the drive on my PC at a reasonable speed grab important stuff that she hadn't backed up she actually does it now and then before this happened Any help would be appreciated Thanks Chris

A:Hard Drive recovery issues

Hello Barsby and Welcome to SeVen Forums,

There a few Linux based rescue live cd's that I have had luck with. See here
You can also try EaseUs data recovery if you can get a winPE cd or usb to load.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/302710-hard-drive-recovery-issues.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I recently installed windows 7 and formatted my hard drive from the old windows vista, the problem is my recovery hard drive (D) went from having almost 400GB to 10.4GB

I cant find an answer to my problem please help me

Thank you

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovery-hard-drive-problem.975165/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi,

My son spilled milk all over one of my laptops, which basically killed it.  I opened up the laptop and dried everything off, but It just will not boot at all.  Fortunately, however, the Hard Drive actually survived and still works.

I connected the hard drive as an external drive on my other laptop using a USB adaptor, and can open the drive in Windows Explorer.  However, when I try to navigate to my Users folder, I get an error dialog box that says the folder "is not accessible.  Access is denied."

Does anyone know how I can get passed this so I can retrieve my data before I reformat the drive?

Thank you

A:Hard Drive Data Recovery - PLEASE HELP

Hi jamespeck

Please try this links http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810881
http://ask-leo.com/how_do_i_gain_access_to_files_that_windows_says_i_dont_have_permission_to_access.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/496622/hard-drive-data-recovery-please-help/
Relevancy 54.18%

I have (yet another Maxtor) hard drive that has crashed - It is visible in the BIOS as a Maxtor ares 40gb drive, but invisible to any operating system. Maxtor's own low-level utlity can't pick it up and hangs - others do, and show the drive's parameters, but cannot read the drive. The platters are spinning. Anybody know any software that might get data off this drive? Have tried all the usual stuff, Spinrite, Easy Recovery, etc.

A:Hard drive data recovery? Can it be done?

If the drive is physically damaged enough there is no software that will recover the data. Have you tried the freezer trick yet? It may make the drive available long enough ot get the data off of it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-data-recovery-can-it-be-done.463433/
Relevancy 54.18%

I have a Dell Inspiron 15r N5110, and i replace the harddrive to a one with higher capacity, the thing is that i want to restore this new harddrive with all the functions and the SO i have in the first one, because i install an SO, and i download the drivers from dell, but is everything just a mess, i dont know which one is which, and my computer is just freaking out, i want to restore everything like the firs harddrive, but i read that the restore only work in the firts hard drive because of the restore partition, and i dont know what to do, :c pleas esome help here.

A:Recovery Disc One Hard drive to another

If the old Hard Drive is still working, meaning you are just upgrading to a larger size drive. you could clone the old drive, to the new one.

Free Disk Copy, Disk Clone Software download to Clone Hard Drive - EaseUS Disk Copy Freeware

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/recovery-disc-one-hard-drive-to-another-737466.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I know this topic Hard Drive recovery Crash Help! has been talked about many of times I have read most of the old post in regards to this topic The situation I have is a little unique and I need some aid from the experts I was running two hard IDE drives Maxtor primary gig partition and WD slave gig partition My primary hard drive Maxtor T H was making hissing sounds the other day Therefore I decided to reboot and see if that would fix the problem As I rebooted the Maxtor locked up at the Win k splash screen and started to make clicking sounds followed by hissing sounds repeat I have Win k Help! Hard Drive Crash recovery on my slave drive WD so the next thing I tried was to make the WD my primary drive and the Maxtor the slave drive I booted up the system and it made it to the Win k splashdown screen My slave drive Maxtor began to make the now familiar clicking and hissing sounds Eventually after about minutes Win k loaded all the way up now running off the WD drive There were two problems here First I started getting errors that I had unplugged the Maxtor at two minute intervals all the while it still clicking hissing The second problem is all applications would operate properly for about seconds and then the lock up while the Maxtor made the hissing clicking My main concern is data recovery The hard drive is still under warranty and can be replaced I know I should have been more vigilante about backing up data I have tried various solutions that I gathered from the previous posts I tried the freezer trick no success I tried the Direct Force Calibration no success I gave Ontrack Easy recovery a shot partial success I have looked at many other recovery software The problem with most of these Data recovery software is that you have to run it in from within Windows This is my main problem because I cannot even run Win k properly if I load up both hard drives together Anytime the system makes it to the Win k splash screen the Maxtor begins to click hiss and then everything runs super slow and eventually the hard drive disconnects reconnects disconnects I need some recovery software within dos Something I can load before Win K loads A friend of mine had a copy of Easy Recovery Pro a So I decided to give that a try I could not run it from Windows because the software could not detect the Maxtor Then I tried the Emergency Boot Disks dos that Easy Recovery Pro creates Lo and behold it worked great except for hitch I was able to see all of my gig worth of data on the Maxtor hard disk However the only place that it allowed me to save the data to was the floppy disk drive or the corrupt hard disk It could not see my WD which the boot disk did recognize when it initially scanned the system I noticed that when running Recovery Pro from the boot disk that it does not assign drive letters to any of my partitions When I run it within Windows there is a drive letter for every partition I m at a loss here Been working on this problem for the past days I see the data but cannot save it any where while running it from Easy Recovery Boot disk Any aid greatly appreciated kcauq nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

Two of my friends computers broke and I am trying to recover the drive recovery/reformatting Hard data from their old HDs Both HDs had Windows XP one was German XP and the other was US English and I tried putting them in my computers to see if they worked After some fiddling around in the BIOS and the boot sequence I started up XP from my HD with one of the two other HDs They showed up as D but said they needed reformatting I understand there are programs out there that can possibly recover the data on these HDs so I can reformat them without losing all these files Hard drive recovery/reformatting My questions to you guys are What Hard drive recovery/reformatting programs are there if any that could recover this data Is there any other way I can access this data I thought that with the same OS the disks wouldn t need reformatting but I was apparently wrong or something else is the case Thank you for your help Oh and another thing - I don t think the HDs are broken or anything because one of my friend s computers worked before I took the HD out I was putting in a bigger one along with some RAM and a new graphics card I think it would be too big of a coincedence for it to magically stop working like that but I could be wrong nbsp

A:Hard drive recovery/reformatting

did you try setting the jumpers to slave and running it as a slave, thats how i usually transfer data off of an old HDD

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-recovery-reformatting.70108/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello,

I have been having great difficulty trying to figure out how to recover all of my data on my hard drive that just stopped working three nights ago. I was foolish to not back anything up. I have attached a picture of what my desktop looks like with two windows open. One being Disk Management and the other being Minitool Partition Wizard. They both show the hard drive that I am trying to recover. That hard drive will not show up on "My Computer" but I can see it in those two windows. What can I do to recover this data? I have tried a couple tools, but they could not see it, and the Minitool Partition Wizard was still at 0% after 18 hours of scanning. Thank you.

A:Data Recovery on Old Hard Drive

Hi Mat the w,

Welcome to Seven Forums.

I presume it is an internal drive on your desktop.

Please run the manufacturer's diagnostic/repair utility. ( Since you did not tell us the make/model number of the drive, I can only give this general statement.) Check whether it is able to repair your disk.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/311217-data-recovery-old-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I had a bad virus and decided to start over using my original XP installation disc. I have found my old files in a "back-up folder". Now I have two outlook 2003 programs and Microsoft articles say to search for .pab and .pst files to manipulate. When I use search, I only find 'email' Microsoft databases. The one in the back-up is very large so it is probably the old one. The one in my new programs list is quite small probably only contains new emails and the few contacts I have re-entered. Is there some way of combining the old with the new? Do you need a screen shot of what I am seeing in search results?
I also have many duplicated program items so is it OK to delete them from the back-up? Thanks

A:Outlook (After Hard Drive Recovery)

Hi ken S,

I've moved this thread since it's more of an Outlook question than a virus removal question at this point. That being said, I can still help you. There are ways to combine them. Are they both pst files?

-etavares

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/480160/outlook-after-hard-drive-recovery/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello everyone!

My brother accidentally hit his LENOVO laptop and it won't boot anymore with "unmountable_boot_volume" error showing.

I have tried connecting the damaged harddrive to my computer using 2.5'' enclosure for SATA harddrives. My computer was able to see the hard drive but wouldn't let open it, saying there was an input/output error.

I have also tried using chkdsk, but not to avail - chkdsk said it cannot get direct access to the drive.

Is there anything I can do myself besides taking the drive to a data recovery service?

A:Please help with hard drive data recovery

see this to get your DATA off the drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-help-with-hard-drive-data-recovery.83535/
Relevancy 54.18%

I hate to ask this question but I read tons old drive? hard recovery File from of posts that didn t seem to help me maybe someone can help a very inexperienced computer owner I hope so I have a hard drive from my old emachines T the hard drive is a Seagate Barracuda GB File recovery from old hard drive? quot PATA- MB File recovery from old hard drive? Cache RPM Internal Hard Drive that I had put in to replace the original drive with when it died Recently I purchased an external hard drive case hoping to save all the files from this old drive Although the hard drive works fine in the enclosure it works the motherboard in the old pc died and I can see File recovery from old hard drive? file folders I get an quot access denied quot message to the owner folder so all my saved information is not available Is there a way to access these files I hate being web illiterate and without this forum I d be lost Thanks so much in advance for any help If you need more info let me know and I ll do my best to supply you with what you need Oh my system is windows XP pro but the old harddrive was windows XP home if that makes any difference Thanks again Rick nbsp

A:File recovery from old hard drive?

See this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-recovery-from-old-hard-drive.902447/
Relevancy 54.18%

I have an oldish (2002) laptop whose CDROM is very sluggish. Trying to reinstall XP from the recovery disks results in frustrating failure coz the darn thing is designed in a way that the slightest CDROM hickup causes the installation process to terminate.

Is there ANY way to transfer and run the files from the hard drive? I have linux on the laptop right now, so I was wondering whether I could "safely" transfer the files little by little and then (again, "safely") run the process from the hard drive

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

A:Can You Run XP Recovery Disks from Hard Drive?

I've never tried it, but you should be able to copy all of the files from the CD onto the HDD and run setup from there.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/can-you-run-xp-recovery-disks-from-hard-drive-408552.html
Relevancy 54.18%

My hard drive went bad so I recently put in a new hard drive in my Compaq Presario SR NX computer I also got recovery disc from HP to put the windows XP media center system back on the hard drive but am having problems After running the recovery disc for about a hour I get a message that says quot A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer If this is the first time drive? use I new HP from recovery hard Can on a disc you ve seen this stop error screen restart your computer If this screen appears again follow these steps check for viruses on your computer Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers check your hard drive to make sure it is Can I use recovery disc from HP on a new hard drive? properly confirgured and terminated run chkdsk f to check for had Can I use recovery disc from HP on a new hard drive? dirve corruption and then restart your computer quot I have had the hard drive checked to make sure there is nothing wrong with it My other concern is Can I use recovery disc from HP on a new hard drive? it is not exactly the same hard drive that came out of it does that make a difference It is a western digital Caviar A MZN-LA with GB but it was a Seagate A M N-LA GB nbsp

A:Can I use recovery disc from HP on a new hard drive?

Hi DLPSOCCER, and welcome to TSG.

DLPSOCCER said:

It is a western digital Caviar A8MZN-LA with 250 GB but it was a Seagate A8M2N-LA 160 GB.Click to expand...

You might want to check and give us the model numbers right off the labels attached the drives. As far as I can tell, an "A8MZN-LA" model number is for an Asus motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-use-recovery-disc-from-hp-on-a-new-hard-drive.667023/
Relevancy 54.18%

I have a hard drive that would not boot Windows XP. I replaced the hard drive reloaded windows xp and I am trying to retrieve data. When I plug the drive in using a USB to IDE adapter the compuiter recognizes the drive and it even shows in computer manager as the correct size, however the file system type is blank. When I try to look at it in My Computer it comes back as says the drive is not formatted do I want to format it now, I said NO.
also when I first plug it in the autoplay starts on that drive but does not give me options.

Any Thoughts??

Tom

I have tried a couple USB to IDE adapter same results also the to plug it in directly to the IDE controller no luck

Relevancy 54.18%

Hello. I had a PC, of which the motherboard fried. The PC was dismantled, so obviously now I'm using a different one. I have some of the parts, including the hard drive, but it's loose. I was wondering what would be the best/easiest method to check it and get my files off of it/see if I can still get some files off of it. I don't know about compatibility issues and such, so I don't really know where to start. Any help would be much appreciated, thank you.

Relevancy 54.18%

Skip the first paragraph below unless you want to know the reason I m asking this question My Macbook OS X hard drive has failed When I try starting it up it doesn t go past a white screen with a quot no trespassing quot symbol on it I have tried using the reinstall disks but nothing happens and the disks just get stuck The data may or may not be recoverable The Genius Bar could not handle my case so they recommended me to Tekserve I went to Tekserve and they told me they would try to get the desired data off and place it onto an external hard drive However they said that if they got everything off that I wanted then the charge would be something over I have done some research and discovered that the price is most likely around the same and can be more wherever you go Before I shell out this amount of Recovery Questions. HELP! Drive Hard cash does anyone know how data recovery works exactly To narrow this question down I m wondering specifically about two things Why can t they just automatically get all of my data off instead of asking me what specific data I want off How secure is my data can I trust that they won t be opening files or even looking at file names that may suggest important private information nbsp

A:HELP! Hard Drive Recovery Questions.

(1) Why can't they just automatically get all of my data off, instead of asking me what specific data I want off?

All of the data may not be recoverable. When I do data recovery for customers I ask them specifically what data they want recovered, and where it was located. Also, the price may change if there is a huge amount of data to be recovered.

(2) How secure is my data (can I trust that they won't be opening files, or even looking at file names that may suggest important private information?)?

I can't speak for that company, but when I recover data I never really look at what was recovered, however at times I may have to ask a customer the names of some files to make sure that I recovered what they wanted. What they have on their hard drive is of no interest to me, and I believe I would betray their confidence by reading any of their files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-hard-drive-recovery-questions.863715/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi again and drive all, recovery, Hard windows help I have a HP dv with Hard drive recovery, windows and all, help a GB HDD I used to have a windowe partition a recovery partition and the main data partioion now I have only single partition with slightly less than GB The computer was in for repair and thew erer told not to format it They are swapping between telling me that they didn t format it and that it Hard drive recovery, windows and all, help must have just happened when my motherboard died to telling me that the data is my responsibility I have told them that they either formatted it or put the wrong drive in and they are adament that they have done nither this isn t helping me though I have basically lost a bucket load of data and my factory installed windows I know it should have been backed up but whenever I tride it would crash for some reason or tell me that i needed DVD s I need to recover my files and would also like to get my windows back as I can t afford to replace it does anyone have any ideas on whether this can be done thanks alot Steve nbsp

A:Hard drive recovery, windows and all, help

Hi

tricky this...the shop that fixed it would have told you that any data on the drive would be lost, this is common practice and you are always advised to back up any data to an external source on a regular basis.

However, if they are asked not to format the drive and they have then again the fault lies with yourself, you should have removed the drive before sending it in for repair, any good repair shop will use a test HDD to make sure the unit is working.

Unless you have it on paper that you asked them to do a non destructive repair then you are in a state of loss.

However...you also say that their is now no windows installed on the drive, is this correct, by rights a repair means that the unit comes back to you in a working condition including software that was on the drive, even if the shop have swapped the drive, it would be down to them reinstall windows and ensure it was in a working condition, as this is what you have paid for.

But your first port of call might be to a citizens advice bureau for further help and then trading standards, you might get the cost of the repair back on the basis the unit was returned unworking however on the point of the lost data, you wouldnt be able to claim for that.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-recovery-windows-and-all-help.129171/
Relevancy 54.18%

Just yesterday I ve lost all access to my gig hard drive It was my secondary drive in my system with no OS or programs running off of it The drive was formatted to be FAT so my dual boot system Windows and Mandrake Linux could use it as a swap drive of sorts At the time I failure, possible? drive recovery Hard was booted into win k and I was trying to access some mp s on the secondary drive Hard drive failure, recovery possible? but winamp kept crashing When I went to the music folder on the drive only a few of my songs appeared instead of the hundreds of files in the folder The window I was browsing with suddenly crashed and I decided a restart would be a good idea It went to the loading screen of win k the blue bar filled to the top and then stopped for a few minutes before I restarted again Same thing again I unplugged my playstation that I recently hooked up but had no problems with in months past and the system booted up again this time it showed that my D drive was missing I have unhooked both hard drives connections and reconnected them but nothing changed If I go to my Device Manager in win k it tells me there are two hard disks still and the properties of both of them tell me they re working properly obviously one of them isn t When I boot into Mandrake Linux it tells me that if fails to mount a hard disk and quot ls mnt windows quot returns an empty directory instead of the normal file filled one that I am used to seeing With further searching I came across the program in Linux quot dosfsck quot which should work with FAT However it won t work because the hard disk can t be mounted So my next choice would be to buy a copy of Norton Utilities and see if that works Is there anything else I can do though Will Norton really work for me It seems that all I have is a file system corruption that can be repaired but I don t know how Any help would be appreciated and I ll supply even more information if asked nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

Hey everyone I m having a problem installing my recovery disc onto my new hard drive Here s some info I have an HP Pavilion Notebook model dv us with Windows Vista Home Premium I started having hard drive issues so I bought a new hard drive Well before the hard drive went out I was having issues with the DVD drive The drive was not being detected and was not showing up in My Computer nor was is showing up in the device manager I talked to someone with HP support and they told me that I could order the HP recovery discs and it will install Drive Trying Use To Hard New Disc On Recovery Windows Vista onto my new hard drive However I was not having the DVD drive issues at this time My hard drive ended up completely going out so I was worried that I might have a problem installing the recovery discs with the DVD drive issues that I was having Today I installed the new hard drive turned on the computer chose to boot from the DVD drive and inserted recovery disc and all it says is quot operating system not found quot No matter what I try I cannot get the recovery disc to start up The DVD drive is powering up because the green light is coming on and it ejects but it just wont start the recovery disc Any ideas Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

I have a Sony vaio laptop PCG-FXA36, and i donīt have any recovery cd or anything, is there anyway i can format the hard drive to go back to the original factory os? Is there anywhere i can buy the sony setup cd?

A:Format hard drive without recovery cd

some companies put the restore software on a seperate partition on the harddrive which you can access via a F ket during boot - anything in the documentation that came with the laptop.

otherwise I dont think you will get back to how sony shipped the device - you could try calling sony for recovery CD's

http://www.epinions.com/content_62866034308

a place to purchase recovery CD's
http://www.nexttronics.com/recovery disks.htm
never used do not know what they are like - so buyer beware

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/format-hard-drive-without-recovery-cd.307293/
Relevancy 54.18%

I m trying to recover data from a friend s hard drive that suddenly failed to boot It s a Samsung SATA Hard drive recovery data I ve got it connected directly Hard drive data recovery to the motherboard of my computer as a slave It is seen in the Hard drive data recovery BIOS Device Manager and Disk Management but not in Windows Explorer The drive spins and doesn t make any unusual noises I tested it with HDTune the SMART data is all OK and a quick sector scan showed no bad clusters I ve tried Spinrite computer froze O amp O Format and Recovery Scan started then computer froze A couple of other recovery apps froze too and some just didn t see the drive GetDataBack found a few things but not much and couldn t recover Trial version I installed Ubuntu on an attached drive it couldn t see the drive So I m about ready to throw in the towel but thought I d run it by the gurus at TSG first Is it possible that password protection on the drive limits what can be seen recovered or do the recovery apps look beyond that Anything I ve missed here Thank you in advance nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

replaced my dead hard drive on my t60. running windows 10. but no recovery disks. how can i obtain disks or usb to recover? other pc's here running vista, so i cannot download recovery for the original windows 7 that it came with either.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T61-and-prior-T-series/lenovo-t60-new-hard-drive-no-recovery/td-p/3358488
Relevancy 54.18%

Help. Can I recover the data on my hard drive which is in a desktop PC that died last week? Take the HD out, hook it up somehow, move the data to a backup or portable HD?
Thanks from Pacejo

Relevancy 54.18%

I have a friends HP Pavilion a518x. He needs me to make him a recovery cd and they told him its on the hard drive. How would I go about this?

A:Creating a recovery cd from hard drive??

The HP website has the instructions:

Create a set of recovery discs or a recovery DVD

Some HP and Compaq PCs have recovery CD creator software that can create a recovery CD or DVD set. To determine if the PC has Recovery Creator software installed click Start, All Programs, PC Help & Tools, and look for one of the following:

HP PC Recovery CD-DVD Creator
Compaq Recovery CD-DVD Creator

NOTE: If PC Help & Tools is missing from the Start menu, look for:
Hewlett Packard
HP Pavilion PC Tools
HP PC Recovery CD Creator
PC Recovery Tools
Compaq Recovery CD-DVD Creator

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/creating-a-recovery-cd-from-hard-drive.485218/
Relevancy 54.18%

Haiz,       Today was a nightmare for me bcos ACER aspore  E11 E3-112M hard drive die instantly warranty out and so far i never done image backup or recovery and there are no clue or help can be done so what i done mean done and  i create a recovery and image backup from another acer ICONIA W7 install to new hard drive for Acer ASPIRE

A:Hard drive died and no way to recovery and never i...

Was there a question or are you saying it worked and your E11 is up and running?

http://community.acer.com/t5/E-and-M-Series-Laptops/Hard-drive-died-and-no-way-to-recovery-and-never-image-backuo/td-p/429407/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 54.18%

A couple of days ago my Windows recovery FAT32 drive USB Hard XP laptop died badly e g hard drive partitions and boot files I was trying to save my docs and pictures so I booted from a CD and used Volkov Commander or or so to access my files Then I connected my USB external hard drive FAT Fantom Drive gb RAID and to my big surprise I could access this drive as well as my laptop drive from Volkov So I simply decided to copy my data from one drive to another It took about hours to do so After the process was completed I opened my external hard drive and got stunned Not only new data but also all previous data became an mess Every singe file and folder name has changed into something like amp amp USB FAT32 Hard drive recovery amp amp The save dates now range from to The only thing I could think about at this point is to run Norton Doctor and take care of lost chains After process was done I got a nice hard drive with files and folders left Its properties show however that the drive still has gb of gb full I really need some pros help I can undo the Norton Doctor procedure Can I recover my data At least in theory Please help Data is very important for me nbsp

A:USB FAT32 Hard drive recovery

Yes I am guessing here!

From what I have read about Volkov Commander, it is a DOS program. So I am amazed that you were able to use it with a USB hard drive setup let alone one that involved RAID drives...although your external RAID may be transparent to the OS?

DOS and Volkov(to my knowledge) don't do long file names so that would also cause a problem.

It is very possible that the data is FUBAR at this point, but if it is "really" important I would seek out a profession data recovery company before going one step further down the path.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-fat32-hard-drive-recovery.554633/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi,

I just cloned my hard drive to an SSD.

Nearly 14 GB of that SSD is partition RECOVERY - pretty sure this is a hold over from what HP installed.

I backup to an external USB hard drive.

Do I need the HP recovery partition?

Wondering if that's part of their bloatwear.

A:Do I need the HP Recovery Partition on my hard drive?

Recovery Partition is there to help you to restore your computer to factory settings i.e. completely reinstall Windows and HP's collection of third party applications on your machine. In other words the PC is after factory recovery as it was when first time booted, a "virgin" .

It includes some bloatware, yes, but HP today is not so bad as it was regarding bloatware. Today the HP's include mostly only a trial version of an antivirus application, MsOffice trial or ad-financed MsOffice Starter and HP's useless media apps, network assistant, update assistant and so on. These elements are easy to remove after first boot or factory recovery.

Your HP has / had a tool in Start Menu to burn a set of recovery DVD's (= copy recovery partition to DVD's), after which it is safe to delete this partition. Depending on the model, a normal HP Recovery DVD set needs 3 or 4 single layer DVD's.

I am a long term "HP Fan Boy" , always burning the recovery disks. It is of course up to you to decide; if you are sure you never need to restore your computer to its original state, you can freely remove the partition.

Kari

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/205984-do-i-need-hp-recovery-partition-my-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi,

I have recently upgraded to a new system from XP and was hoping to recover some data from my old hard drive which has the 40 pin connector. I was hoping to find the grey ribbon inside but instead there is what I think is a SATA cable connecting the hard drive. Therefore I'm a wee bit confused as to what I connect the slave to.
There is a grey ribbon, but that is connected to the DVD drive although it does have a second connector halfway down.

Thanks for the help!!

Relevancy 54.18%

I CANT SEEM TO FORMAT HARD DRIVE IN E RECOVERY HOW CAN I FORI CANT SEEM TO FORMAT HARD DRIVE IN E RECOVERY HOW CAN I FORMAT IT BACK TO MANUFACTURE RESET ASPIRE 5536

A:I cant seem to format hard drive in e recovery how can i for

Formating will effectively erase the hard drive & setup a new file system (usally NTFS or possibly FAT32), the drive will then be ready to accept a new Windows installation or used for data storage.If you're trying to do a factory restore, try the following from the manual:1. Click on Start, All Programs, Acer, Acer eRecovery Management.2. Switch to the Restore page by clicking Restore.3. You can choose to restore the system from a factory default image orreinstall applications and drivers.4. Follow the instructions on screen to complete the process.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-vista/i-cant-seem-to-format-hard-drive-in-e-recovery-how-can-i-for/13545.html
Relevancy 54.18%

can someone help me with hard drive recovery? I have a damaged laptop hard drive hooked up to my computer using usb to sata/ide cables. I'm trying to get my files off of it but under the hard disk section on the computer screen it shows up as Recovery ( F : ). Can anyone tell me what i need to do to access the files? thanks!

Relevancy 54.18%

Okay, my harddrive in my laptop is corrupt. So I have got it plugged in to my desktop pc at the moment. I used GetDataBack to try and recover all my files. It found then all, and can play/open all of them. But when I try to copy, nothing happens.

Does anyone know of a free (or under $15-ish) hard drive data recovery program that works? Also, my hard drive is NTFS.

Thanks in advance.

A:Hard Drive Data Recovery

Some people have had luck with PC Inspectorhttp://www.snapfiles.com/get/pcinspector.htmlHome page:http://www.pcinspector.de/Sites/file_recov....htm?language=1

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/234551/hard-drive-data-recovery/
Relevancy 54.18%

I have an external hard drive that failed. I guess there was a problem with the USB power out input on the hard drive. I bought a hard drive enclosure and now the drive powers up just fine and my computer sees it in disk management but I can't access the data on it. It's requiring me to initialize it and make a new partition. As you all know, this will wipe all data and I'm wondering what software is out there that I can use to recover the data before initializing the drive (preferably free or very cheap). Or is there anywhere that could do this type of recovery services that wouldn't charge much for this type of recovery? I know that most tend to be very pricey.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Relevancy 54.18%

My colleague has accidently formatted his hard drive  as he had one connected externally ... I have connected the hard drive to my laptop and I can see the partitions and data files , and have used recover software to re-instate the missing files ... although I can recover pdf files , I am unable to read some of the saved files as they used to be saved on the desktop as links .. so when clicked the I am being advised the link doesnt exist ( which is true )  I understand this is saved as user files ? .... How can I re-instate the drives and desktop files  and user files ? I felt this could be undertaken using a DOS command OR able to interegate the recovery softwtare that is stored in a seperate partion ?  to bring these back ???    Any help really appreciated  regards all 

A:hard drive format recovery

Usually a recovery program will let you save the files to where ever and if you have a PDF reader you could read them.If you are using a trial version, it's probably not letting you save them.It could also be that the files are corruptedand it could be the program isn't very good.

http://community.acer.com/t5/Veriton/hard-drive-format-recovery/td-p/384936
Relevancy 54.18%

recovery DVD stok on 3 dvd...... Or fail to windows installation.....I have formated my disk comple   ERecovery Management stuck on windows install ...3 on dvd or it not installe completely fail error messages are missing some files

A:New Hard Drive Will not Boot Using Recovery DVD , ...

Ti-Noir, I don't think you're supposed to partition or format your new hard drive prior to running the recovery discs.  The recovery discs should know how to partition and format a new hard drive automatically.  Just let the recovery discs automatically partition and format your new HDD. So to fix that, so you can start over......and to put your hard drive back to new (unallocated space), you can use diskpart clean.  Be careful when using diskpart clean and make sure you select the correct drive (correct disk). Diskpart clean will wipe your hard drive so you can completely start over with your recovery discs. "Diskpart clean" works on both hard drives and solid state drives.   Be careful!! http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Reset-your-SSD-to-factory-settings-Windows-DiskPart/ba-p/162503 http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/005929en After you use "diskpart clean" on your hard drive, don't partition or format it.   Just insert the recovery discs and let them automatically partition and format your hard drive.......which they should do during the recovery process.    

http://community.acer.com/t5/Aspire-Desktops/New-Hard-Drive-Will-not-Boot-Using-Recovery-DVD-Aspire-x3995/td-p/441899
Relevancy 54.18%

Well this is the problem I came back from a trip to new york and when I got back the blue screen of death was waiting for me knock dead It said that if you haven t tried restarting your computer to restart it So I did After that it would just say operating system not found I was checking in the BIOS and drive failure, need Hard recovery the hard drive wasn t even being found I tried reimaging it but that wasn t working because I still couldn t locate it So I sent my laptop back to Sony and they replaced the harddrive but I asked for the original drive Hard drive failure, need recovery back so I could recover some files There is my problem do you think it is possible to recover files from a harddrive that won t show up If there is a way do you know where I can do this for less than because all those sites I found are charging The hard drive is not physically connected right now and just sitting here The hard drive is for a laptop and its a Toshiba if that helps Any help appreciated angel THANKS nbsp

A:Hard drive failure, need recovery

Locate a program called "ERD Comander 2005" by Winternals. Boot your computer from that cd and have your old hard drive conected. ERD Commander has several tools you may find useful. I'm not sure if it would still work if you can't find your HDD, though.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-failure-need-recovery.35542/
Relevancy 54.18%

Seeking low-level data recovery tools ---

I have an external drive (WD10TMVW-11ZSMS5; was in a "Passport"). The drive was dropped; hard -> head crashed and diver board circuit was damage... Tried to transfer plattens to new drive, but plattens became misregistered in process (duh) [Oh yeah... The head mechanism was damaged too; otherwise I'd have just replaced the circuit board and not tried to transfer the plattens (would that it were that simple)].

Does anyone know if there exists an app that will allow me to control the disk; read heads individually; transfer bit patterns to another media for reconstruction of the image?

I know it's a long shot, but I have to try.

Thanx, from Hell.

Relevancy 54.18%

can anyone advise please? The hard drive has failed, we have a new hard drive to put in, but need to get the recovery partition from the old drive installed and enabled so we can 'refresh' and get the system back on. Whether it will work without needing to put in a PID I don't know - the folks got the machine with Win 8.00 pre-installed so have no disk or PID - but I said I would give it a go.

A:how to get Win 8 Recovery partition onto new hard drive

How to Create a Windows 8 Installation DVD or USB Drive

If you have the same "bitness" on your PC, 64 or 32 bit, then that link may be useful. If there's another way to get a Windows 8.x iso file I don't know it. Perhaps someone else will chime in if so.

Edit: I'm not sure but the USB option may give you the choice of 32 or 64 bit.

Edit2: You may want to point out, if the people you are helping are capable of using it, that the way to avoid his in the future is to get an external drive and image the HD to a file on it. There are free softwares like Macrium Reflect.

For a list of free imaging programs see The Free Country

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/56733-how-get-win-8-recovery-partition-onto-new-hard-drive.html