Windows Support Forum

How to set up a network on 7?

Q: How to set up a network on 7?

With XP I cold have done this without looking, but with Win 7 I have not bothered with it and I would like to share files with computers in my house. Would some one please tell me how.

I have 4 computers all connected through a router and would like to be able to share files between the 4.

Thanks
nickc

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How to set up a network on 7?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How to set up a network on 7?

It's very similar to XP. The NEW hitch is the Network Type {Home, Work, Public} setting.
Unless you're using a Laptop @ hotspot, always select the Home Network. This configures the firewall to
allow Print/File sharing.

If you've done this before, then you know that the workgroup name on all systems MUST be the same.
MS has fussed with the default setting across the versions {XP, Vista, Win/7} so verify all of them.

Take the point of view, System-X is my master where the others come to get picture, video, music - -
(does not mean the others can't host files however) and use that systems workgroup name as the one for
the whole network.

Have you shared folders previously?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-set-up-a-network-on-7.188531/
Relevancy 32.25%

PCs are Win Ultimate All are joined to the Domain Domain Controller DNS DHCP Server on same instance is Server standard The network topology is like this Router as Internet Gateway gt Switch identifying Cards will only or intermittently, Inside the Domain-Joined no Network when network Connections will Network longer, Network join Domain PC from gt Wired to Server and PC's SIP phones and Wireless Access Point Domain-Joined PC Network Cards will no longer, or will only intermittently, join the Domain Network when identifying Network Connections from Inside network all on same subnet DNS and DHCP have been offloaded Domain-Joined PC Network Cards will no longer, or will only intermittently, join the Domain Network when identifying Network Connections from Inside network to Server Roles and switched off on the router All of the PCs have network cards that have joined the domain network at least some of the time since I set them up Some of them have always picked up the domain network and continue to this day Some of them intermittently pick up the domain network and other times join whatever other unmanaged network is available Some of them have stopped picking up the domain network altogether and will no matter how many times their NICs are restarted always join a non-domain unmanaged network When the NICs are not joining the domain they are unable to ping hostnames of any devices on the network but nslookup of the hostnames usually works The DC DNS DHCP server's IP can be pinged without issue ipv or ipv I am recording DNS Client Errors ID on all of the PCs during the intervals when their NICs are identifying which network to join -On the PCs that are catching the domain network I am only getting a single error about the root domain eg the domain is ad domain com and I am only getting errors about how the configured DNS servers cannot resolve domain com nothing with fully qualified domain names eg server ad domain com -On the PCs that are not catching the domain network I get a few different instances of the same error substituted quot domain quot for my root domain name Name resolution for the name WPAD ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Name resolution for the name lt DC-DNS-DHCPSERVERNAME gt ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Name resolution for the name LDAP TCP DC MSDCS ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Name resolution for the name ISATAP ad domain com timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded Based on what I've read about NLA service choosing the domain to log into I believe this rd error is the big one although I guess the big error is that my configured DNS servers are not responding except to NSLookups From what I understand the Network Location Awareness Service Provider will roughly do the following look into the registry to see if there is an entry for a domain network to join and if there is it will attempt to contact the domain controller of the same domain name If it is successful with both parts it will join the domain network named quot ad domain com quot If not it will fall back to one of the other options ie home private public quot whatever its called network quot I have tried many of the fixes presented for similar issues but I haven't found anything that's worked A few things I have tried while cycling my NICs on and off to test -turned off the firewall nbsp -poked holes in the firewall for TCP UDP port -poked holes in the firewall for TCP UDP port -ipconfig flushdns ipconfig registerdns -netsh int ip reset -netsh reset Winsock catalog and restarted -route f and restarted -turned off DHCP Client Service -restarted DHCP client Service -turned off IPV on NICs -hard-coded DNS servers IPV and -hard-coded static IPs and DNS Servers only IPV -sfc scannow to scan for integrity violations All of these and also some combinations of these and more that I can't remember One more p... Read more

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/303bcde4-6a0b-4bc4-baff-929f0b6b4261/domainjoined-pc-network-cards-will-no-longer-or-will-only-intermittently-join-the-domain-network?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 28.81%

i have windows 7 and i installed virtual box (ubuntu) to do this.

i want to have two linux gateways and those two machines should either have the same NAT or public routable ip address.
basically i want to install openswan and configure the ipsec. in order to do this i need two linux gateways.

can anyone guide me how to setup two linux gateways to do this??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/configuring-network-to-network-hosst-to-host-network.1045773/
Relevancy 26.23%

I have a peculiar issue where I would need to have "Network and Sharing Center" open to be able to see that my my laptop's wireless connection. I would see the signal bar and also see the dreaded red x.

Even when I have it open, I can see it refreshing each second; like its losing connection and reestablishing.

My internet connection is working and has no issues.

What can this be?

Network and Sharing Center - Open
Network and Sharing Center - Open and refreshed

Network and Sharing Center - Closed

A:Correct Network Tray Icon - Requires Network and Sharing Center Open??

That will probably be your Ethernet connection, not your wireless adapter, you can disable it in the bios if you don't use it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/245622-correct-network-tray-icon-requires-network-sharing-center-open.html
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi everyone This past weekend I went out of town and took my Windows laptop with me -- since I returned home it has been unable to connect to my wireless network Other connect card network can't wireless to AR9285 Atheros laptop network with Windows 7 devices in my home connect to the network just fine and the problem laptop Windows 7 laptop with Atheros AR9285 network card can't connect to wireless network has always been fine Windows 7 laptop with Atheros AR9285 network card can't connect to wireless network until now My network card is an Atheros AR and I m attempting to connect to a Medialink router with WPA password protection and AES encryption My wireless network icon in the task bar has a yellow sign with an exclamation point in it It says quot No Internet access quot I have tried -rebooting the computer -unplugging and restarting the modem and router -going to the command prompt and renewing my IP address with the command IPCONFIG RENEW None of this works Like I said all other devices in my house connect to the wireless network with no problem It s just this one laptop Any guidance would be greatly appreciated Thanks nbsp

A:Windows 7 laptop with Atheros AR9285 network card can't connect to wireless network

Three things to try ...

If you have McAfee please see the sticky thread at the top of this (Networking) forum.

Disable encryption on the router and try to connect. If successful you can probably re-enable encryption and reconnect.

Revert to a System Restore Point before the weekend.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-laptop-with-atheros-ar9285-network-card-cant-connect-to-wireless-network.1065995/
Relevancy 26.23%

Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network screen I have a home network with laptops and desktop The desktop I use as a quot file server quot in that all work done on the laptops is stored to the to Explorer Unable network computers Windows in see scree home Network desktop The desktop computer name is HAL One laptop is fine and sees the network The other just stopped seeing it rebooted the laptop rebooted HAL did a number of refreshes without any luck I opened EXCEL and found a worksheet that was listed that I knew was saved Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree on HAL Was able to open the file and when I tried the SAVE AS I could navigate through all of HAL just as normal Went to Windows Explorer and still no HAL listed as a COMPUTER on the NETWORK I have a internet connection so I know I am making it to the router at least And when I check NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER it shows an active home network Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree The laptop is running Windows Home Premium Service Pack Build Thanks in advance for any help George

A:Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree

Still working on the problem. Tried to do a system restore back to the point where everything was working. Still no HAL showing as a network computer; Excel now does not recognize the path that worked yesterday. But now I am able to create a shortcut that will take me to HAL on the network. Guess this is a good enough fix for right now. When I go to Windows Explorer, Network it still only shows the 2 laptops and not HAL......WHY????

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/229783-unable-see-home-network-computers-windows-explorer-network-scree.html
Relevancy 26.23%

To establish a NETWORK FOLDER CONNECTION [add network place] with a hosting account I have in Registar godaddy.com, what to do in vista 32bit ? Is the same and in 64bit, isn't it ?

I want to copy a hosting account's data to my HDD ...

By registering VISTA I get FREE email support from Microsoft ? This also applies in Networking using ADSL Modems to get WLAN , LAN or broadband connections using vista ?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/223193-establish-network-folder-connection-add-network-place-hosting-account-i.html
Relevancy 26.23%

My rig uses a Centrino Advanced-N 6230 wireless mini half-card. It reports the correct name except within the wireless network list. Instead of 6230 it reports 6320. I searched the registry to see if I could find the error, but nothing found. It's only a nuisance, and a minor one at that. Anyone else seen this? Any way I can correct it? See image below:

A:Network card name reporting incorrectly in wireless network list area

Can only suggest you may not be using the latest wireless driver, but if you are, it must be a typo in the signature file written into the card's firmware which can only be changed by the manufacturer and may be noticed by them in the next release.

If its working, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/211612-network-card-name-reporting-incorrectly-wireless-network-list-area.html
Relevancy 26.23%

I have an Actiontec GT701-wg DSL modem running a wireless network. I currently have two laptops with XP sharing the Internet connection. Since the modem has an open Ethernet port in the back, I was wondering if it might be possible to plug in a networkable external hard drive and have it available to both of the laptops wirelessly.

If it is possible, what setting would be required on the laptops to enable them to see the external drive?

Thanks!

Relevancy 26.23%

Okay, usually when you hover over the networks listed and available from the taskbar icon, you get a nice little window with a few helpful tidbits of info for each listed network when you mouse action hover over the names. It tells you the encryption type, and the SSID, plus a few other details.

Well, on my computer, the information is appearing behind the list to where I can't read it. The network list is overlapping on top of the hover info. Talk about annoying. I searched for various things on google, with no luck. I tried:

Windows 7 network list obscuring hover details, and various other combinations to no avail. Anyone here have a clue what might be breaking this? I'd like the hover details to appear properly so I can read it. In the meantime I've installed the free version of Acrylic Wifi to work around the issue. Thanks.

A:Wifi Network info/details appearing behind Network List on hover.

The problem must be driver based or an add-on program because I don't get any of that. All I get is the name and whether it's connected or not. Check that your adaptor driver is up to date and/or the program you use to display the data is up to date.

Forgot to mention:
Dell adds "bloatware" to their PCs to "improve the user's experience" so I would check Dell Support for your specific model and look for updates.

Dell Support

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/366682-wifi-network-info-details-appearing-behind-network-list-hover.html
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello,
I have a Tablet PC with Windows 8 Release Preview installed.
The Tablet PC is equipped with a x86 Intel Atom Z670 processor and the Marvell 88w8787 Wifi/Bluetooth chip.
(Also ref. as AZUREWAVE_AW-NM387 WiFi/Bluetooth)

Previously, Windows 7 installed with wifi connection was working good via the Marvell AVATAR Wireless-N Network Controller (SDIO) - Network adaptor driver installed. File version: 14.57.8025.39, dated: 02/29/2012.

After doing both a upgrade install(keeping Win7 files) and also a CLEAN install of Windows 8 onto this same Tablet PC, my Network Adaptor is stating errors, and not working.

Kindly, how do I go about fixing this problem?

Sincerely, HWayne.
Flatoak Co., Ltd.

A:Marvell AVASTAR Wireless-N Network Controller (SDIO) - Network adaptor

Hello,
I'm still having trouble installing a driver that supports by x86 Intel/Atom Z670 Tablet PC running Windows 8.

The WLAN module inside my Tablet PC is from Azurewave.

To be specific, '88F105-012000 WLAN CARD.AW-NM387..802.11 b/g/n SDIO...W/BLUETOOTH(V3.0)..LEAD-FREE..AZUREWAVE'.

My Tablet PC wifi connection worked OK with Windows 7, but now fails with Windows 8.

Any advice and/or recommendation?

BTW, this is related to the earlier POST: Marvell AVATAR Wireless-N Network Controller (SDIO) - Network adaptor driver installed. File version: 14.57.8025.39, dated: 02/29/2012.

This driver installed and worked for Windows 7, but fails in Windows 8.
This driver is the driver that automatically gets identified by Windows UPDATE for my Tablet PC type.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/7036-marvell-avastar-wireless-n-network-controller-sdio-network-adaptor.html
Relevancy 26.23%

hi all

sony vaio pc desktop pcvrs620 g, dell A940 all in one printer (wired to sony desktop) and a toshiba satellite laptop connnected through a wireless linksys router to the network...
all xp sp2

here's the trouble. we want to be able to share this printer, but right now cannot make the laptop print on the wired printer. of course it will print if i connect the usb cable, but i want to be ablet to print wirelessly.

have done "share this printer" on the wired pc
when i try to add the drivers /install the printer on the laptop it wants me to connect the laptop to the printer...i am not sure that i want to establish this connection since my ultimate goal is wireless printing...

ok? thanks!!

sorry, edited, i am posting this question in the more appropriate "networking" forum...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-solving-a-wireless-network-network-printer-wont-print.614708/
Relevancy 26.23%

Ok I have computers on a home network Windows XP and one Redhat Linux Fedora Core About a month ago one of the windows boxes 1 computer network now has file transfer on network slow a internet suddenly and on suddenly went 1 computer on a network suddenly now has slow file transfer on internet and network from about Kb s download to Kb s download from various newsgroups Also when trying to pull AND push files to that same box it is a very slow file transfer I didn t load any new 1 computer on a network suddenly now has slow file transfer on internet and network software in that time and I waited so long because at the time the newsgroup server that I am using reported problems associated with Hurricane Rita This of course doesn t explain the network speed I ve run speed tests on all the other computers and they all report download speeds of about Kb s and upload speeds of about Kb s except the one and it has download speeds of about Kb s and upload speeds the same about Kb s After I noticed the speed reduction I loaded a firewall Protowall and I downloaded the latest beta of Microsoft Anti-Spyware and ran it Also I have Norton with the latest updates and it reports no problems Please let me know if you need more info or if someone had any general tips to try I am about at the end of my rope and reformatting looks like the only other option to me Thanks Mike in Ohio Edit Forgot to say I went to differnt speed testing web sites and they all report the download speed the same on that one box about Kb s and the others are around Kb s nbsp

A:1 computer on a network suddenly now has slow file transfer on internet and network

Are all the computers wired similarly? All run to the same router/switch?

You should check the cable of the problematic machine, try using ping to the router with 1400 byte packets. Also, boot up some CD Linux or equivalent and see what speeds you get from there - helps to rule out any problems with the operating system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1-computer-on-a-network-suddenly-now-has-slow-file-transfer-on-internet-and-network.35247/
Relevancy 26.23%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5250 @ 1.50GHz, x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 1014 Mb
Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family, 384 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 57231 MB, Free - 41659 MB; D: Total - 57231 MB, Free - 14579 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, Inc., Nestos , Not Applicable, LXAJL0X031734074722500
Antivirus: None

Hi. I have a problem with my wireless connection. The tab under network connections does NOT show wireless connection. This happened after I reinstalled winxp. I installed the wireless driver but it did not work. I can only connect to the internet using the wired connection. What should I do?

Relevancy 26.23%

I just ran the Windows XP Help and Support, Network Diagnostics and I got a FAILED for the following areas:
Network Adapters FAILED
[00000010] Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection FAILED
DNSServerSearchOrder FAILED
198.153.192.50 FAILED
198.153.194.50 FAILED

I've been having some wireless issues and I am not sure what this is telling me and what I can do about it to fix it. I checked with the Intel web site for network adapters and it appears that I have the latest driver.
Any helpful suggestions?

A:Network Adapters, Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection, DNSSer

howdy and welcome. start > run > sysdm.cpl > hardware tab > device manager > are there any yellow exclamation points, and if so, what are they next to?

thanks,

v

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-adapters-intel-r-pro-wireless-3945abg-network-connection-dnsser.1142923/
Relevancy 26.23%

This sounds really noobie of me but is it possible to improve local network transfer speed by adding a 2nd network card. I was planning to connect one exclusively for lan transfers and another one hooked to a separate wireless router.

Right now only a maximum of 3 users can stream SD videos off the PC before it gets a little choppy.

The pc in question runs on windows 7 and it's board has built in gigabit, I happen to have a spare gigabit card.

A:Will adding a 2nd network card improve local network transfer speed

That won't really help the way you are describing the problem, although adding access points will help with streaming to wireless devices.

Although there is a setting in Group Policy that allows you to use two connections at the same time, I don't believe it will help in this situation.

I've done many HD movie streaming tests on my system.

I can stream from my media PC to at least 7 other machines at the same time, 4 wired, 3 wireless, plus my TV, and have no problems at all, no skipping, no freezing, even with the same movie in the same place or with 8 different movies at once, my TV is connected to my media center PC so counts as the 8th one.

This is Gb LAN, and 300Mbps wireless but even the 65Mbps limited laptop has no problem.

I'm not really sure why you are seeing these limitations but it may be the router.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/275341-will-adding-2nd-network-card-improve-local-network-transfer-speed.html
Relevancy 26.23%

Here is the deal I am running Windows XP SP on my home tower custom built The tower is hardwired to a Linksys WRT GS Solved: office ready not Network printer home network will to connect router The tower does not have a wireless NIC There are a few other computers that access this small network at various Solved: Network ready printer will not connect to home office network times The router is using WPA-PSK encryption Wireless MAC address connectivity is enabled I bought an HP NW Laserjet printer and tried connecting it to the wireless network using the enclosed getting started guide I initially tried connecting it in ad hoc mode because I believe this is what I should use in my home office No dice Nothing was recognized The only printing success I got was when I hooked an Ethernet cable directly to the router After unplugging the cable I had no luck printing wirelessly even though I tried also configuring the installation for infrastructure mode where the printer was recognized but still would not print once the cable was removed I have taken the printer s MAC address and added it as a trusted endpoint in both my router s configuration table and in my firewall Norton Internet Security However that has also not helped Some advice I have read is making sure QoS is disabled on the router and also making sure that the SSID and pass key for the printer match that of the router It should be easy to make these changes to the printer but I cannot access the embedded web server in this printer to make these changes Also one source said to make sure the printer is on the same subnet as the router I only have one subnet in my network and that is the xx xx range of addresses that I use for two of my laptops with wireless NICs and a third Dell tower with a Linksys wireless NIC Any ideas on what else I can try I am pretty much out of ideas Thanks Elizabeth K nbsp

A:Solved: Network ready printer will not connect to home office network

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-network-ready-printer-will-not-connect-to-home-office-network.581074/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi I have no more ideas on what to try next Any help greatly appreciated My laptop is running Windows Professional bit and is fully patched The Ethernet adapter Marvell Yukon E is enabled and the wireless adapter Intel PRO Wireless ABG disabled via software and the hardware switch Symantec Endpoint Protection provides AV security via group policy It is highly likely the problem was self inflicted and not caused by a virus malware I use the cisco lock application. network. held the configuring configuration another by 'iphlpsvc.dll' network is is now VPN client and wanted to upgrade it a reinstall may have been sufficient but as I was going 'iphlpsvc.dll' is now configuring the network. network configuration lock is held by another application. to the bother I thought I would upgrade as I was having some annoying timeouts when using the client immediately after logging into my desktop I started by removing the existing old version During the removal the screen went black and the laptop was not responding ie I couldnt get the screen to wake up I ended up powering off by holding the power button for secs On reboot it appeared that the old vpnclient had been removed and everything else was functioning as normal So I tried to install the new version The vpn setup program gets as far as quot Installing Network Components quot and produces error quot Error The network configuration lock is held by another application Close all applications and run Setup again If this message re-appears after closing all applications reboot then re-try the install the application holding the install lock may be hung quot The install is then rolled back I noticed that if I try to access the LAN card network properties ie IPv settings I get the error quot Some of the controls on this property sheet are disabled because one or more other Network proprty sheets are already open To use these controls close all these property sheets then reopen this one quot I tried closing all applications rebooting and installing again but got the same error I tried a safe mode boot but couldn t install in safe mode I modified the registry to allow safe mode installs with networking but got the same error I used msconfig to disable all non-windows provided software on boot and got the same error I disabled Symantec Endpoint as much as I could and got the same error I did lots of Googling and found lots of references to this type of issue but no good answers Many of the solutions seemed to involve reinstalling Windows - not a good option for me Some of the Google results indicated that the Deterministic Network Enhancer DNE part of the VPN client may be the problem I found a link to DNE and downloaded winfix exe and dneupdate msi bit the msi content was created Running winfix produced an error indicating it couldn t access the network resources sorry I don t have a copy of the exact message Running dneupdate msi bit also produced an error quot Another application is holding the Network Configuration Lock quot Some of the Google results indicated removing network adapters might help so as I couldn t remove the LAN adapter Marvell Yukon E I updated the driver to the latest version and tried to install again with the same results I deleted all the additional network interfaces I could find VMware mobile phone modem and other VPN client interfaces There is one virtual adapter I cannot remove - quot Fujitsu IPCOM SSL-VPN Virtual LAN Adapter quot When removing the Fujitsu VPN adapter software it gave some more clues quot iphlpsvc dll is holding the network configuration lock quot and quot Install queue is trying to configure the network quot Could the IPCOM virtual interface be causing the issue winfix exe now worked as did dneupdate msi bit Trying to install the vpn client in normal boot mode still gives me the same error as before quot Error The network configuration lock is held by another application quot I also sometimes get quot Error There is a problem wit... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/455646/iphlpsvcdll-is-now-configuring-the-network-network-configuration-lock-is-held-by-another-application/
Relevancy 26.23%

hello. i have a windows 7 professional 32 bit
i have been having problems trying to connect to the internet today. last night it was perfectly fine
it either says identifying... unidentified network. when i troubleshoot it says windows cannot automatically detect this network's proxy settings
my other netbook (the one i am using right now) can connect as well as other computers here, to the same network
i tried connecting through a cable but it also says unidentified network.
for six hours i've been trying solutions i've read but to no avail. i tried system restore but it keeps on failing.
please help. thanks

A:UNIDENTIFIED NETWORK windows could not automatically detect network's proxy settings

i used this with win7 to overcome the problem

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/71408-unidentified-networks-set-private-public.html?filter

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/unidentified-network-windows-could-not-automatically-detect-networks-proxy-settings.1098970/
Relevancy 26.23%

i'm using a dell inspiron 8600, sp3. i've never had problems accessing the internet until a few weeks ago when i moved. i was slated to join in on my roommmates network, but for some reason I cannot connect. Or more precisely, I connect for about 2 seconds, and I'm immediately bumped off. My roommates tried to fix it, but in vain. the signal is coming in strong on my computer, so I'm not sure what the issue is. any help is definitely welcomed.

A:perpetual acquiring network address/unable to connect to roommates network

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/perpetual-acquiring-network-address-unable-to-connect-to-roommates-network.936682/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hello. I am after some help regarding installing some software called Pensions Profiler on a clients computer.

Firstly the computer - Windows XP Pro, all windows updates installed.

Pensions Profiler - Installed on their server but installed on each pc. Everyone's pc is fine except one. They have a mapped network drive linking them to the pensions profiler section of the server.

When installing, it does not get very far before displaying the following error.

Pensions Profiler Installer Information
Error 1606. Could not access network location CMNet\Network Path\.

I have checked the Microsoft site but nothing comes back into relation with "CMNet\Network Path\." part of the error.

Look forward to reading some replies.
All registry has been checked in relation to similar problems on the Microsoft support website and all registry entries appear to be fine. Error message attached as a pdf.

Thanks
Jason

A:Error 1606. Could not access network location CMNet\Network Path\.

If the installation file is an 'MSI' file (ie it uses the Microsoft Installer), this may help: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/msi1606.htm

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-1606-could-not-access-network-location-cmnet-network-path.1061831/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi Have a problem there Just reinstalled a fresh copy of Windows XP and WAS having problems having my Linksys B wireless card but now it finally detected just reinstalled the driver Now another problem is Connect Internet Wont but Wireless to Network network?? Detected, Explorer when I double clciked INternet Exploroer webpages dont load up A box Wireless Network Detected, but Internet Explorer Wont Connect to network?? pops up tp ask if I want to workoffline or Connect I click on COnnect and the box then said quot No connection to the internet is currently avaiable quot The thing is that my wireless adapter is already connected to the DSL in perfect signal connections I then went to to Network COnnections folder There are icons one says Incomming the other in the LAN or HighSpeed Internet section says Connection and Wireless Network Connection Enabled On the far left column i clicked on Create a New Connection I clicked the option Wireless Network Detected, but Internet Explorer Wont Connect to network?? of quot Connect to the internet quot then quot Setup my Connection Manually quot Then quot Connect Using a broadband connection that is always on quot because I dont need a login name and password After clicking NEXT and Finished Wireless Network Detected, but Internet Explorer Wont Connect to network?? nothing happened i clicked on IE again and same thing pops up I tried doing the nd option to let u enter the ID and password BUT disable the prompt to log in with a username and pw still dont work What gives How do i fix this problem Any help is appreciated thnx nbsp

A:Wireless Network Detected, but Internet Explorer Wont Connect to network??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-network-detected-but-internet-explorer-wont-connect-to-network.586274/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi all,
I've some users added to 'Network configuration operator' on Windows 7x64 Pro SP1 and they cannot open the properties dialog of network interface. I've tested the KB2157332 on Windows 7 x64 Pro
without SP1 and it works, but I cannot install it on W7SP1 computer, . I'm looking a SP1 version of the hotfix but I cannot find it. 
I've read
this and
this post but still getting the issue
Any idea to solve it?
Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/bd6896d1-1e9d-49ac-955a-2492179ed728/network-configuration-operator-cannot-open-the-properties-dialog-of-a-network-interface?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 26.23%

I installed iogear bluetooth on my pc sometime last year but didn't use it but now I need it to communicate to my cell phone. When I inserted the adapter I get the error: network cable unplugged.

I can see the software is there but not sure how to proceed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-bluetooth-network-error-network-cable-unplugged-windows-xp.1113865/
Relevancy 26.23%

The vista machine connected via wire to the FIOS actiontec router can see and access the vista laptop but not vice versa. However, when I bring up the network map from the laptop network/sharing center full network, i do see the desktop but when I click on the network from the start menu, I do not see it? Why different and how can I make it work?

Thanks Patti

Also, using McAfee but both machines can be seen in the mcafee network map.

A:2 Vista Machines not networking - Shows in Network Map but doesn't show in Network

A good place to start would be to reference this MS article to ensure all of your clients are configured correctly...

File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

I would be interested to hear back if any of the topics listed addresses your specific problem.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/266695-2-vista-machines-not-networking-shows-network-map-but-doesnt-show-network.html
Relevancy 26.23%

I I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 and since then I have had a problem connecting to the internet with IE8. connection to internet via the wireless router is ok as virus etc is updating, but every tim I try and open IE I get the message Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage, then the option for Diagnose problems is offered, I have clicked this and still no joy. I have also reset IE.

Sparodically it will connect and this is what is confusing me

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks

A:Wireless Network Detected, but Internet Explorer Wont Connect to network in Win 7

Have you tried any other browsers? SeaMonkey is a good one to try if you don't have another. You can still keep IE as default and have SeaMonkey for backup for web pages that may not display correctly in IE or when you have access problems like you are having now. Being Mozilla-based, it uses a different rendering engine. For those web sites that support pipelining, you may also find that it is considerably faster.

Check your connection settings under Internet Options. In the LAN section, try toggling the "Automatically Detect Settings" option.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-network-detected-but-internet-explorer-wont-connect-to-network-in-win-7.935568/
Relevancy 26.23%

So guys I have been having this problem for several days One day I noticed that my wireless internet icon was gone from the taskbar I thought that s easy I d set it to show from Network Connections However when I went to Control Panel Network Connections would not open no hourglass or Network service Solved: start, wireless no Connections cannot network icon anything Nothing So I went to services msc and sure enough Network Connections was disabled I set it to Manual and tried to start it I got the error quot Could not start Network Connections on Local Computer xc quot This is bringing me down because I ve searched for an answer online for days nothing worked I tried using regsvr to register netshell dll but I got the error quot netshell dll was loaded but the DllRegisterServer entry point was not found This file cannot be registered quot I have Windows XP Home Edition SP I have scanned for viruses with avast Home Edition Solved: Network Connections service cannot start, no wireless network icon found nothing And very surprisingly I still have internet But I travel so I need to choose my wireless networks and this way I can t Thank you in advance for any help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-network-connections-service-cannot-start-no-wireless-network-icon.758745/
Relevancy 26.23%

Hi all This is all on my home network - both PCs are local to each other I have a Win PC which hosts all within network Remote loses network home drive randomly desktop and connectivity mapped my media and documents which I connect to via remote desktop and share a drive on the network It has no monitor so remote desktop is my main method of access Very occasionally I will turn it on and be unable to connect to it or the mapped drive In fact my main PC Win cannot find it on the network anywhere But it IS on the network - I can connect via my mobile using Splashtop and I can also connect via TeamViewer from the main PC This is not a solution though as I need to be able to access the shared drive on my main PC Remote desktop and mapped network drive within home network randomly loses connectivity Both PCs use Bitdefender Makes no Remote desktop and mapped network drive within home network randomly loses connectivity difference with the BD firewall temporarily turned off As I mentioned sometimes it connects fine with no issues and sometimes it can't find it In these situations I can't even ping the Media PC's IP address timeout nor can the Media PC ping the main PC It can obviously ping the router Usually a restart of the Media PC fixes this although that's annoying - but today it isn't The error that I get is 'The network path was not found' and for remote desktop 'Remote Desktop can't find the computer 'MediaServer quot This might mean it does not belong to the specified network quot etc I also thought it work mentioning that this is what comes up when using the net use command Status nbsp nbsp nbsp Local nbsp nbsp Remote nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Network ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Unavailable nbsp X nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp MediaServer D nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Microsoft Windows Network The command completed successfully If I then muck around with deleting the share and reconnecting it will sometimes reconnect Today - no can't find the network path Any help appreciated

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1a303e2f-6cbb-4147-8cdd-2009aa384661/remote-desktop-and-mapped-network-drive-within-home-network-randomly-loses-connectivity?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 25.8%

Hello I need to start by saying I only have a patchy knowledge of networking I have been involved in the Networking of a museum with a set of quot Show quot computers which display video and for this reason cannot have anti virus installed becuase of the performace hit and also the risk of pop-ups on the videos They do however need to be connected to the internet as some are interactive and allow people to send simple emails and they all need to allow remote support when things go wrong It seems the networking was not thought out very well initially and there is a single wireless router which serves the staff and public on a secured wireless network but wired network a wireless a secure alongside network Creating also serves the quot Show quot machines via a wired connection from one of its ports which then connects to a master switch which serves the show machines Now the wired and wireless is on the same network and everything shares the same IP subnet xxx and this is not a good situation in terms of the securuty of the show machines on the wired network So I need to work out a Creating a secure wired network alongside a wireless network way to totally separate the wireless network which will be very prone to people Creating a secure wired network alongside a wireless network opening viruses in their emails etc Creating a secure wired network alongside a wireless network from the wired network which will be the show machines which wont be touched by anyone I want to achieve this in the simplest and easiest way and have been reading about the possibility of setting up a second wired router behind the current wireless one with a different subnet IP address to which the quot Show quot machines could be connected The WAN port on this second router would connect to a LAN port on the wireless router and thus the show machines could get their internet but separated from the dangerous wireless network Does this sound like a sensible start Will the fact that the wired router and show machines are on a completely different subnet to the wireless router and wireless devices mean that the wired network will be protected Or do I need to do more And is this likely to work Many thanks for any advice Cheers nbsp

A:Creating a secure wired network alongside a wireless network

That's the standard way to protect one set of machines from another, while allowing all to use the same internet access. The reason it works is the NAT layer on the second router--it protects its LAN from the other machines the same way it protects from the big scary internet.

If you are using Windows on the "show" machines try Microsoft Security Essentials. It should not adversely impact performance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/creating-a-secure-wired-network-alongside-a-wireless-network.1021598/
Relevancy 25.8%

So i'm having an issue connecting my desktop to my home network for file sharing. My Desktop is connected to the internet like so: Desktop ->(Ethernet cable)-> Uverse 2wire router -> Internet.

I have no issues with my internet connection, and in fact I am posting this from my desktop now. Windows Network Diagnostics finds no issues when I run the trouble shooter. and when I try to connect to a home group it refers me to the network issue.

This issue has plagued me for about 6 months now. I have talked to Uverse tech support, and many of my friends who are into computers and have gotten no answers. Computer is running windows 7 SP1 and again the router is the Uverse 2wire router

How can I make my desktop available for network sharing?

Also here is a screenshot of the network map according to this computer

A:Network Sharing Problem. Connecting Desktop to home network

Have you set up a home network? What is the workgroup name? Are there any passwords of any kind? Have you set your shared settings on each PC in the workgroup?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/207840-network-sharing-problem-connecting-desktop-home-network.html
Relevancy 25.8%

hi guys so I have this weird problem that is driving me nuts since some weeks here's the thing at work we have a corporate set up with Win Professional everything is setup on a quot domain quot we all have Dell computers and we can connect either via cable or via wireless pretty standard these days anyway if I connect via cable and login everything works perfectly access Cannot over Network on Network Corporate Drives Wireless Shared I can see the local network shares and no problems at all Problems start to arise on wireless Here's the crazy scenario - if I start PC on cable with wifi turned off via hardware switch then say I undock the PC for going to a meeting room AND I turn on the wifi everything works fine I can see the network drives all good it crunches for a few moments when I load explorer the Cannot access Network Shared Drives over Corporate Network on Wireless first time and then he quot finds quot the network drives - if I decide to go back to my station turn off wifi re-dock the PC back to cable everything works fine BUT - if say I am on cable undock the pc put on the wifi and THEN I restart the PC when the computer boots win it takes some time at boot then I cannot access the network drives anymore they have the red X and it says quot connection cannot be restored quot or something like that internet browsing always works fine and I DONT do any login on wireless I think because it's on a quot domain quot setup that is tested times in a row basically if I don't give him the cable at boot I cannot see the network drives and also when it cannot detect correctly the network drives if I restart the laptop it literally gets stuck and I have to force a reset on cable it restarts in like seconds I also noticed that when I am on cable if I go to quot network quot then I see some of my colleague's computers there BUT if I am on wifi when I cannot access the network drives then I see just myself this would make sense in a way things I already tried that didn't change a thing - enable files and printer sharing check - check client for Microsoft networks - TCP IP gt advanced gt NetBIOS quot enable NetBIOS over TCP IP quot from default that was before - flush DNS - restart winsocks with the net something command sorry cant remember the syntax nothing seems to make a difference to complicate things some of my colleagues with older dell computers don't have any issue at all in fact they are always on wifi for me it's a personal choice I like to be on cable when at the desk faster connection overall and when I go to meeting rooms I use the wireless obviously but it's very annoying that I have to remember quot not to restart quot if I am in meeting room otherwise I cannot see the network drives where we have work stuff sorry for the rant help highly appreciated thanks Gabrio

A:Cannot access Network Shared Drives over Corporate Network on Wireless

What is the make/model of Wireless Access Point(s)?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/308581-cannot-access-network-shared-drives-over-corporate-network-wireless.html
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi Operating system is Windows Enterprise Edition SP and Office Professional is installed nbsp User clicks one the file opens fine Change one character or a bunch then click SAVE nbsp We get quot There has been a network or file the error. has been file may network a lost be permission connection or network there permission error The network connection may be lost quot If I attempt to save it as a new filename the new filename is written in the shared folder but has a size there has been a network or file permission error. the network connection may be lost of K and the Save As window pops up again nbsp Any attempt to save as ANOTHER name produces the same results K size file written Save As window pops up I found a document from MS that says to save to your desktop or map a new drive but this was working just fine a short time ago This issue happens for only one machine If the same user logins to the different machine and it works Who ever login to the laptop get the same error nbsp Below did not help as nbsp it was for Office and Windows XP https support microsoft com en-us kb https support microsoft com en-us kb https support microsoft com en-us kb What has to be done for this Regards Boopathi

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/4eb5d0af-32bb-4640-9691-b90a6406d24c/there-has-been-a-network-or-file-permission-error-the-network-connection-may-be-lost?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 25.8%

Hello,

I am currently living in a college dorm and my only source of internet is their registration-protected wifi. The problem is that I cannot install my printer on their wi-fi network and share information between all of my devices.

So, what I would like to be able to do is connect my mac desktop to their wi-fi (I've got that done), and then share the mac desktop's internet connection with my Airport Express router via ethernet. The Airport Express would then broadcast the internet connection to my other devices. I understand how to activate internet sharing on my mac, but I really need help configuring the ethernet port's IP, the Airport Express' settings, DHCP and DNS stuff, etc.

Thank you so much in advance!

Relevancy 25.8%

Hi I m new to this so bear with me I know there are a lot of forum posts on this on this forum and many others but manager connections network in network 7) available and no No device adapter (windows after hours of trawling through them and getting nowhere I No network connections available and no network adapter in device manager (windows 7) thought I would make a thread with my specific problem and see if anyone No network connections available and no network adapter in device manager (windows 7) can help I got my new graphics card yesterday and after hours of trying to get that to work it s in and working but now I have a red cross where it says my internet is connected and when I click on it it says No Connections are No network connections available and no network adapter in device manager (windows 7) available I have a wired connection and the ethernet cable is in there is no light on my mobo to confirm this When I troubleshoot it says Windows did not detect a properly installed network adapter If you have a network adapter you will need to reinstall the driver I have got my MOBO CD and attempted to do that but the gigabyte interface is completely missing and I can t find the network adapter on there I have also tried downloading the new drivers first on my laptop and running them on the PC but that had no success and the second time through my Iphone personal hotspot but with the same results I know the ethernet cable works because I have put it in my laptop I have a Gigabyte H MA-D v Mobo i K GB Ram GTX Running Windows Any help with this would be greatly appreciated because I m close to putting my foot through my PC Thanks James nbsp

A:No network connections available and no network adapter in device manager (windows 7)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-network-connections-available-and-no-network-adapter-in-device-manager-windows-7.1117129/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi there Apparently as the result of malware I suddenly received many detected viruses using Avira and Malware Bytes empty All is adapters connections and lost window network network I can no longer All network adapters lost and network connections window is empty access the internet The Network Connections window is completely blank and in the Device Manager every single driver All network adapters lost and network connections window is empty under Network Adapters net Adapter Direct Parallel Intel Pro Wireless Realtek WAN Miniport etc has a yellow exclamation mark I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers In some cases I got a message saying uninstallation is not allowed But in all cases even where I could uninstall and reinstall it didn t help at all I also already tried running regsvr netshell dll regsvr netcfgx dll regsvr netman dll Each routine was successful but didn t help Running quot Start netman start quot gives a response that it is already running Any advice Is there any way around reinstalling XP Will that even help I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro M running XP Professional Any advice is greatly appreciated I have been working on this to no avail for over hours nbsp

Relevancy 25.8%

I've freshly installed Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit on my system that previously had Ubuntu installed, and prior to ubuntu had win7 ultimate installed. With the fresh install of win7, I receive an unidentified network/no network access issue.

Heres a list of things ive tried:

- reset the network adapter
- restarted the modem and the router
- messed around with homegroup
- reset tcp/ip
- tried connecting to a specific ip/dns/default gateway (which i retrieved with a laptop)
- ip /release /renew although i wasnt successful

Ive tried almost every single thing I could find on google. Nothing works. I connect fine on ubuntu and I connected fine on ultimate.

I havent tried installing drivers though. Because I cannot access the internet on that machine to install those drivers. Help is much much appreciated as I am tired of ubuntu.

Thanks,

j

A:Fresh install of Win7 *unidentified network/no network access*

Welcome to the forums bietzshe,

I don't know much about 7 Enterprise, but I imagine you would need to install the Lan/Network drivers for your Motherboard.
Is your motherboard the P67 FTW? Do you have a driver CD for it? If not then you will need to head over to EVGA - EVGA Download Center find your motherboard from the drop down list and download and install the Network driver there.

Paul.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/292757-fresh-install-win7-unidentified-network-no-network-access.html
Relevancy 25.8%

hello engineers,
how r yo all? Guys i need your help.
My problem is windows 7 hangs and freeze when access 2003 server Enterprise edition . This is not a small network, one of the biggest network.
i have doubt on individual users on domain.before 2 months we had department wise users mean, for example Accounts@domainname.local. But after we created the individual users like john@domainname.local to all users.
this is i believe the cause of problem. When we acess the server via the software it freezed for 5 seconds and then repeat to normal state. And after some time it hangs for 2 minutes.
we r a big company ,producing daily basis.hmmmm Openly very large media and press company. please any one know the exact problem? Thanks

A:windows 7 client and 2003 server: network Slow in very big Network !!

Hi Mohamed and Welcome to SF,

Pls. check your Server's Event Viewers error logs, especially DNS errors.

What type of Security or AV Software do you have installed in your Server?

Will it be possible for you to post an ipconfig /all output of one Win7 machine and the Server?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/185072-windows-7-client-2003-server-network-slow-very-big-network.html
Relevancy 25.8%

I have to plan this project would need some help an configure a gateway? Hardware internet and Install Network Network to how to do it The organisation would like all their users to have access to the internet The business has requested that you configure an internet gateway for their users in the office The meeting identifies it needs to incorporate the following Install Network Hardware to a Network and configure an internet gateway? requirements Internet service via a reputable service provider Ensure minimal disruption to current LAN services when implementing Enable required security measure Part Assess the client s hardware requirements with consideration to their requirements for an internet gateway Part contact vendors and obtain technical specifications in obtaining any hardware software and configuration the existing LAN with internet access Part In the form of a presentation provide a recommendation to the management of the business for configuration of internet access that includes a plan for implementation The presentation also should incorporate the specific of hardware software and ISP that will be required to detailing any costs that may be involved nbsp

A:Install Network Hardware to a Network and configure an internet gateway?

I suggest you do your own homework, what would be the point in us doing it for you?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/install-network-hardware-to-a-network-and-configure-an-internet-gateway.875691/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi all Not too good with computer issues but I have been reluctantly chosen as the household tech wizard lol Husband updated his laptop network password no enter no conn connection = ability to no = network to Windows several months ago So far it's been good and he likes it that is until this morning He opens the laptop no internet connection It shows our wifi network but won't connect He enters his password says he needs to enter password for that device Enter password from before Windows no good Enter password for micorstoft no good Using my laptop Windows to find fix Suggestions I've tried Troublshoot network connection by right clicking Right Click won't work nothing happens Maybe keyboard language is wrong no settings button available to look at keyboard properties Try connecting directly to router won't make connection We've rebooted the computer a couple of times to no avail Our phones are connected my laptop is connected our no network connection = no ability to enter password = no network conn chromecast is connected so we know it's not the router no network connection = no ability to enter password = no network conn There is something up with his laptop Playing ring around the rosey is not the best way to spend a Sunday morning no internet connection no ability to enter password not able to troubleshoot internet connection no internet connection no ability to enter password

A:no network connection = no ability to enter password = no network conn

Ok. Here goes...His phone worked, my phone did work then quit working, our Smart TV quit working. My laptop continued to be connected, etc. Reset modem, problem solved. OMG!!!!!! Weird that some devices worked while others didn't.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/40019-no-network-connection-no-ability-enter-password-no-network-conn.html
Relevancy 25.8%

Hello I m currently experiencing a new problem with a customers machine Its Local Area Connection under network connections flips between the enabled state and Network Cable Unplugged I ve went Connect and 'enabled' 'Network flips Cable Network Unplugged' between through the line and confirmed its plugged in and the ports lights are blinking properly I m unsure whats causing the problem but have a feeling its either a windows networking Network Connect flips between 'enabled' and 'Network Cable Unplugged' service or the driver I m tending to lean toward driver since it connected fine yesterday and downloaded MB of updates I have tried re-installing the same driver that i used yesterday to get it on the internet with no success Device manager says there s nothing wrong with the Ethernet driver Network Connect flips between 'enabled' and 'Network Cable Unplugged' but it does list another ethernet controller although I m pretty sure that it is the wifi device which I haven t been able to get its driver to work either Network Connect flips between 'enabled' and 'Network Cable Unplugged' The computers model is an quot HP Pavilion DV - DX quot it is running a fresh install of Vista Home Premium bit Any help would be appreciated thanks nbsp

A:Network Connect flips between 'enabled' and 'Network Cable Unplugged'

Have you tried manually setting the port duplex/speed?

For this to work you need to be able to specify the speed/duplex on both ends of the connection (i.e. at the switch as well as the machine).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-connect-flips-between-enabled-and-network-cable-unplugged.931244/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi,
One domain user recently can't see network drives and use printer. When you join a domain it automatically maps those drives and ads that printer, and it did, but now it is all gone. You can't even see disconnected drives in My computer. I am able to ping
those drives, but that's it. And this occurs only on one computer on one user. If log in to different user on that computer everything is fine and if I log in with that user on different computer it also works. Tried looking for disabled services, but couldn't
any that would be turned off from the most important (Workstation, Network location awareness, Network list service). Any suggestions?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/cfdf0bb8-f959-472b-90da-7dbe588fa0ed/domain-user-cant-map-network-drives-and-print-on-network-printer?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi So recently I have removed a nasty zeroaccess rootkit virus es from my laptop My Windows Firewall Defender and Updates would not work still won't my browser kept redirecting to unrelated websites and I was just overall having a TON of irritating issues I installed MalwareBytes and Zone Alarm in addition to my Microsoft Security Essentials and restarted my computer once - everything seemed fine I went to delete a few programs from my computer via the control panel just unneeded things like Canon software I don't even use anymore My computer told me I needed to restart so I did and when connection wireless driver adapter network Problems with and network it turned back on I suddenly had no more Internet access It registers that my Internet providers are being picked up on as in it says Silver Moose is emitting a signal yet I have quot limited access Problems with wireless network adapter and network connection driver quot and all other devices using the network in my home are working just fine I tried troubleshooting and it says that there Problems with wireless network adapter and network connection driver are problems with the wireless Problems with wireless network adapter and network connection driver network adapter and the driver for wireless network connection adapter I've read that removing a access will render someone Internet-less but some people have overcome this However every thread I've already taken a look at don't exactly fit with my problems computer model so I wanted to stay on the safe side and get help fitted exactly to me I have Windows bit a Gateway model NV I don't know if my processor Intel R Core details are needed If so I'll gladly provide them I ran ipconfig all and was about to transfer a copy of it from my messed up computer to this one via a flash drive but suddenly I've found that my computer doesn't recognize a flash drive at all anymore So it's very very messed up indeed I would REALLY like to know what I can do to try and make this situation better or if a system restore is the best option I don't know how to use system restore or what it all does so if you do recommend that can you please offer and explanation of the options it'll give me Will it give a time period I want to backtrack to I feel really helpless here so thanks a ton for any and all help

A:Problems with wireless network adapter and network connection driver

First with this remove Zone alarm, while it use to be a great product, it cause more issues than it's worth these days.
Next, Start menu-> All Programs -> Accessories -> Right click on command prompt and run as Administrator.

Type in netsh winsock reset and reboot, see if the combination of these will help.

Otherwise, system restore is very simple to use and will only affect programs installed, not your personal files. If this doesn't solve the issue pick a time before the rootkit, a couple weeks if possible, and just restore it. You can scroll through all the date to make note of any changes that will be made. Make sure to re-install your AV and Malwarebytes afterwards to keep you protected.

Also, I do not work for Malwarebytes, but $29 for a lifetime license and an active protection module is absolutely worth it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/252548-problems-wireless-network-adapter-network-connection-driver.html
Relevancy 25.8%

I am trying to add a new network-ready printer Brother MFC- N to my existing wireless network The printer is connected to a LAN port on the back of a wireless router The pre-existing wireless network consists of a Linksys BEFW S wireless router a wired Windows XP Home desktop and a wireless Windows XP Home laptop The network has MAC address filtering and WEP security enabled I wired WEP network with Solved: security wireless printer on network turned off both MAC and WEP security when installing the printer and the wired desktop was able to detect the printer after going through quot add network printer quot I got the printer s MAC address from the printer test page and added that to the router and turned the MAC filtering back on and still ok I was able to detect the printer from the wired desktop and print I then turned on the WEP security Solved: WEP security with wired network printer on wireless network and suddenly the wired desktop no longer detects the printer tried pinging printer s IP address If I turn off WEP the desktop again recognizes the printer I m not sure why WEP is affecting communication between two components that are both wired into the router I haven t even tried to get the wireless laptop to communicate with the printer yet since I can t even get the wired desktop fully working first I don t want to disable WEP security so that is not an option Brother support says Solved: WEP security with wired network printer on wireless network its an issue with the router Is there some setting I need to change on the router Alternatively I think if I got a wireless print server and entered the WEP Solved: WEP security with wired network printer on wireless network key into the print server it would work but then there was no point in getting a network-ready printer in the first place I could have just kept my old non-network printer Any suggestions would be much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 25.8%

I saw another post that had the exact same problem I m having just that my problem is on a desktop We got wireless internet a few months ago and my desktop was working fine with it Have a wireless adapter for Wireless Losing Adapter Computer and Network Network Recognition the internet Then a few weeks ago the internet started randomly disconnecting from only my computer I thought it was a network problem But then I hit something and the internet was working fine again for a few weeks Now it s Computer Losing Wireless Network Adapter and Network Recognition on the fritz Computer Losing Wireless Network Adapter and Network Recognition again starting yesterday When I try disconnecting and then reconnecting to the network it will tell me that there were no networks to connect to And when I unplug the adapter and plug it back in to the usb ports it ll tell me that my computer can t recognize the adapter that it s malfunctioning I ve tried the adapter in all the ports and it gives me the same message I have to restart my computer to get it to both recognize the adapter and the network so it ll connect again once it s restarted The internet will last for random periods of time When the internet goes out I get the yellow triangle error thing first on the network icon it doesn t just go right to there being nothing period and having the X symbol only after I try disconnecting from the network Sometimes all day then I ll leave the computer on over night and find the internet is out again on it in the morning Or it ll last for only a few minutes Sometimes the computer won t lose the network if I try disconnecting and reconnecting from the network It ll reconnect to the local network but when it s trying to find the network to connect to the internet it can t find it It ll say undiscovered network I thought maybe the adapter was faulty so I ve tried switching it with the adapter from another computer It still did the same thing with the other adapter And nothing is wrong with the adapter I was using it worked fine in the other computer when I put it in Both adapters are good When the usb ports stop working for the adapter it s only the adapter having problems Everything else still works fine I have no clue what the problem could be I never had any network internet problems when we had wired internet Here is the system info for my computer I really need help this is causing me heart attacks x x I really don t understand much about computers so if any help could be explained really simply and in a lot of detail so I can understand I d really appreciate it Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor AMD Phenom tm Quad-Core Processor x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GTS Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB E Total - MB Free - MB K Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ECS Nettle Antivirus AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition Updated and Enabled nbsp

A:Computer Losing Wireless Network Adapter and Network Recognition

Do other usb devices work fine on the computer? For instance, if you plug in a thumb drive the computer, is the computer able to recognize the drive as well as read/write data to it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-losing-wireless-network-adapter-and-network-recognition.1056416/
Relevancy 25.8%

and made a fundamental mistake of network as So I uninstalled my adapters my was address... network acquiring laptop uninstalling adapters hastily without looking into it Now when I try to re-install the adapters I m running into difficulties Specifically I don t have the CD-ROM I originally must have used and the following message So I uninstalled my network adapters as my laptop was acquiring network address... is popping up quot Files So I uninstalled my network adapters as my laptop was acquiring network address... Needed - The file atl k sys on Atlansic Fast Ethernet Adapter Installation Disk is needed Type the path where the file is located and then click OK quot Unfortunately I don t have any idea if there is a path where this is located so installation cannot complete The reason I took this option to begin with was that the wireless connection on my laptop Asus Windows XP was acquiring network address without ever connecting fully to the internet I had previously tried another of other methods such as manually entering an IP address to no avail Now I think I ve gone and added to the problem exponentially Any help or advice to somebody unfamiliar with such teething problems would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:So I uninstalled my network adapters as my laptop was acquiring network address...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/so-i-uninstalled-my-network-adapters-as-my-laptop-was-acquiring-network-address.1053973/
Relevancy 25.8%

After reinstalling OS, I was fiddling around to change the name of the user folder until I accidentally added network path from folder sharing option as you can see from the screenshot below:
Is there a way to remove such path or make that space "not shared" like before?

Thank you, help would be appreciated it.

A:How do I remove network path? (network file and folder settings)

Click on the Advanced Sharing button and then un-check the Share This Folder link and it will remove the share.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/322581-how-do-i-remove-network-path-network-file-folder-settings.html
Relevancy 25.8%

i recently bought a windows 7 home premium tablet with the intent of using it as a portable media player. for some reason i cannot connect to my media server's shared drive. the server is running windows xp and share permissions are configured properly. but any time i try to open the share on the tablet i get a the network password is incorrect. the thing is that i can remote desktop into the server using the same username an password. so please for the love of god fix this because my sanity relies on it.

mike

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/426992/urgent-cant-access-network-drive-incorrect-network-password/
Relevancy 25.8%

The problem ocurred because the network did not assign a network adress to the computer
This is the message that I get everytime the I conect my d link wbr 2310 rangebooster g router

and when I click in properties
it says limited or no connectivity

This is my 1s time connecting this router to this computer
I have connected with this modem

I dont I know if this can be connect it with this

Thank You

A:The problem ocurred because the network did not assign a network adress to the comput

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/the-problem-ocurred-because-the-network-did-not-assign-a-network-adress-to-the-comput.969321/
Relevancy 25.8%

I'm preparing a laptop for transfer to someone else and have deleted all my network accounts (wireless) in the Control Panel. But over in the Sys Tray, when I click on the network icon, my two connections are still listed (name and name-guest). How do I delete those? Win 7x64. Thanks,

A:Deleting my own network connections listings (sys tray network icon)

When you click on the network icon in the System Tray, it will always list all of the Available Wireless Networks in the area, including those of your neighbours if their signal is strong enough. However, if you've already deleted your own networks in Control Panel, the computer won't be able to connect to them again until the encryption key is re-entered.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/266076-deleting-my-own-network-connections-listings-sys-tray-network-icon.html
Relevancy 25.8%

PRODUCT: HP Chromebook 11 G4S/N: 5CD5515QDCGoogle Chrome OS Version 50.0.2661.103Platform 7978.74.0Firmware Google_Kip.5216.227.25 This device is frustrating my spouse to no end.  It keeps dropping our home wifi network connection.  I have to shutdown power, wait, and power back on and it refreshes.  This is annoying. I am seriously considering returning this device.  The whole point of this purchase was stability and ease of browsing and light internet use.  Frustration is not part of the purchase.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Network-Connection-Error-Dropped-Home-WiFi-Network-only-on/td-p/5638654
Relevancy 25.8%

I am having a frustrating time with my network I work for an animall hospital and we have a wired wireless network with computers mixed vista ultimate and xp pro with server sp on the server I am using a Linksys WRT n router My main problem is with my wireless computers a desktop with a US Robotics g turbo and one of my laptops a Dell Inspiron They are and network drops Wireless slow network is Solved: signal no more then feet from the router and Solved: Wireless network drops signal and network is slow always have a strong signal but will drop their connection and have to be logged of and logged back on It is very frustrating because there is no rhyme or reason for it Sometimes it will stay connected all day without dropping and other days it will drop - times I am not sure if this is related or not but there are several wireless networks that can be seen by these computers including a Comcast WIFI and an Optonline WIFI Also the network will slow down every so often wired as well as wireless and I am no sure what the is about Our applications that we run are not very intence no graphics or large packets being sent Some one said they thought there might be a some sort of a Windows Sharing App running on the server Solved: Wireless network drops signal and network is slow that was bogging it down but I am not sure Any help would be appreciated Thanks in advance Supergroomer nbsp

Relevancy 25.8%

IGNORE IGNORE.... fixed it thanks anyway
Hi there,
I am having trouble connecting to the internet from my laptop via a D-Link wireless ADSL router.

This is a new problem on a laptop that has been used on this wireless network many times - very strange?

When i click "repair" it seems to hang at the point of acquiring my IP address.
Any ideas?
Thanks

A:Solved: Wireless network connection can not acquire network address?

Through the web browser on my desktop i changed some settings on the router i.e. the WPA, and it seemed to work? Magic

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wireless-network-connection-can-not-acquire-network-address.620247/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi All Please can anyone help I have done something and I don t know what I have just bought a new a IP Connection' Solved: does Help have Network not 'wireless a valid adapter network computer a compaq running windows AMD athlon tm IIx processor I had no problems connecting it to the internet it has Solved: Help network adapter 'wireless Network Connection' does not have a valid IP a a wired ethernet cable which plugged to my Thompson router and worked straight away I also have a Toshiba satellite L - laptop running Vista with wireless internet connection At this stage I was getting internet on my new PC and wireless internet on the laptop The problem came when I tried to set up a home network I have done it previously on the old pc running Windows XP with no problems however I am not sure what I have done but I can get internet on the PC but on the laptop it is connecting to the wireless network but not the internet In the network and sharing centre it shows the laptop connected to an Unidentified network but then there is a cross through the line connecting it to the internet In Network and Internet Network connections I double clicked on Wireless Network Connection and then on diagnose I got a box with the heading - The network adapter quot Wireless Network Connection quot does not have a valid IP Configeration I am a bit bewildered what to do and thought it better to seek help rather than fumble around in the dark Hope someone can help Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Help network adapter 'wireless Network Connection' does not have a valid IP a

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-help-network-adapter-wireless-network-connection-does-not-have-a-valid-ip-a.1016800/
Relevancy 25.8%

I am about to return this brand new computer running Vista since it won t connect to my exiting computers on my wireless network It will however connect to the wireless netork to get out to the internet Here is what I have Brand new computer runnig Vista home premium Wireless netwrok external netgear ma network tomy connecting on but computers other not vista wireless network connection that can vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network see the internet I am using it now It can see a windows computer as well as my laptop running Windows Xp but when I try to connect to those computers it gives me an error message I googled this problem and disabled my vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network firewalls I created same user accounts on all with same passords I also tried same user accounts with no password neither works Any suggestion before I return this i relaly want to make Vista work since it at last looks different I like new interface - makes my life more interesting - I know VERY SAD Any suggestions nbsp

A:vista connecting tomy wireless network but not other computers on network

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-connecting-tomy-wireless-network-but-not-other-computers-on-network.631622/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi peeps here s a seemingly unsolvable problem I have I want to network my two PCs An Acer Vista Laptop and my old HP XP Desktop so that I can play network games Operation Flashpoint So I connect them both wirelessly to the Places My show problem: router XP PC Network other won't Wireless Network or in the router a cheap SWEEX one Now when Iook on my Vista Laptop s Wireless Network problem: My XP won't show the router or other PC in Network Places Network place I can see Wireless Network problem: My XP won't show the router or other PC in Network Places the Laptop I m using the router and can access it s page and everything but I can t see my XP desktop from here And when I go into the Desktop s network places I can t see the router or either of the computers I m using And I assume that this network problem is why I can t see a server in my game Now I understand that file and printer sharing is turned the firewall is definately turned off and I think the appropriate services are turned on well to make sure I turned every single service on There must be some more complex reason why my XP hates to network Although I am by no means a noob to general computing I am reasonably new to networking Can you clever lot help me nbsp

A:Wireless Network problem: My XP won't show the router or other PC in Network Places

I am surprised that the old XP desktiop has wireless functionality. Did you add wireless to it, recently? If so, is it shown as operating correctly in Device Manager?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-network-problem-my-xp-wont-show-the-router-or-other-pc-in-network-places.114583/
Relevancy 25.8%

Have had this problem for awhile, when I first boot up I can access the network through my wifi router at home with it being the default gateway. After being up for maybe 5 minutes with network activity, I then time out trying to reach my default router and cannot access anything else.

I'll attach the files below. Note that the ark2 file is after running a full scan and the ark.txt was the initial scan. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 25.8%

I'm having issues connecting to a secure wireless network. Network key is definitely correct. I'm running Windows XP...and using a Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card. Things are set to acquire address automatically. When I try to connect though, I get stuck on "acquiring network address"

I've never had issues connecting to any other wireless network before, and am fairly confident this is not a hardware issue.

I'm really not technical...so I don't even know where to start wrt troubleshooting...or what other info to provide here.

Any help would be appreciated!

A:Trouble connecting to wireless network...can't acquire network address

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-connecting-to-wireless-network-cant-acquire-network-address.837022/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hello This computer had malware like vosteran multioplug seachextensions goobzo rockettab installcore I was able to remove them using Malwarebytes The computer seemed to be fine for a few days after that until the network stopped working The wireless network icon has a red x I can't open the the -Can't open network, can't connect Log network adapter HickJackThis to settings Open Network and Sharing Center unless I'm in safe mode and HickJackThis Log -Can't connect to network, can't open network adapter settings I can't open the network adapter settings it says that windows explorer has an error and closes the window I also tried to connect a usb network adapter and an ethernet ExpressCard but it wouldn't install them It won't read usb memories either unless they were installed previous to this incident I booted the computer with bitdefender and scaned it It found a few trojan infected e-mails that were removed No more viruses have been found after that Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v FIREFOX x en-US Boot mode Normal Running processes C PROGRA Lenovo HOTKEY TPONSCR EXE C Program Files x Fortinet FortiClient FortiTray exe C Program Files Lenovo Communications Utility TpKnrres exe C Program Files x Intel Intel reg USB eXtensible Host Controller Driver Application iusb mon exe C Windows SysWOW rundll exe C Program Files x Intel IntelAppStore bin ismagent exe C Program Files x Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Endpoint Security for Windows avp exe C Program Files x Adobe Acrobat Acrobat acrobat sl exe C Program Files x Adobe Acrobat Acrobat acrotray exe C Program Files x Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C PROGRA ThinkPad UTILIT SCHTASK exe C Windows SysWOW RunDll exe C Program Files x Symantec VIP Access Client GreenList exe C Program Files x Symantec VIP Access Client WhiteList exe C Users Administrator Desktop HickjackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink p LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink p LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Windows SysWOW blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook no name - B D - D - A B-AE - A DA - no file F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C PROGRA MICROS Office GROOVEEX DLL O - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files x Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Partner BHO Class - FF F - C - b -B BA-C DDD E C - C ProgramData Partner Partner dll O - BHO Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files x Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - C Program Files x Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Conversion Toolbar Helper - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEFavClient dll O - BHO URLRedirectionBHO - B F A - E - -BA - B E FF - C PROGRA MICROS Office URLREDIR DLL O - BHO IEPlugin - C CD -A CB- D -A F -D F A BE - C Program Files x Symantec VIP Access Client VIPAddOnForIE dll O - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files x Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO... Read more

A:HickJackThis Log -Can't connect to network, can't open network adapter settings

Greetings justreboot and to BleepingComputer's Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal forum.My name is Oh My! and I am here to help you! Now that we are "friends" please call me Gary.If you would allow me to call you by your first name I would prefer to do that. ===================================================Ground Rules:First, I would like to inform you that most of us here at Bleeping Computer offer our expert assistance out of the goodness of our hearts. Please try to match our commitment to you with your patience toward us. If this was easy we would never have met. Please do not run any tools or take any steps other than those I will provide for you while we work on your computer together. I need to be certain about the state of your computer in order to provide appropriate and effective steps for you to take. Most often "well intentioned" (and usually panic driven!) independent efforts can make things much worse for both of us. If at any point you would prefer to take your own steps please let me know, I will not be offended. I would be happy to focus on the many others who are waiting in line for assistance.Please perform all steps in the order they are listed in each set of instructions. Some steps may be a bit complicated. If things are not clear, be sure to stop and let me know. We need to work on this together with confidence.Please copy and paste all logs into your post unless directed otherwise. Please do not re-run any programs I suggest. If you encounter problems simply stop and tell me.When you post your reply, use the button instead.In the upper right hand corner of the topic you will see the button. Click on this then choose Immediate E-Mail notification and then Proceed and you will be sent an email once I have posted a response.If you do not reply to your topic after 5 days we assume it has been abandoned and I will close it.When your computer is clean I will alert you of such. I will also provide for you detailed information about how you can combat future infections.I would like to remind you to make no further changes to your computer unless I direct you to do so.Now let's get started ===================================================Now that I am assisting you, you can expect that I will be very responsive to your situation. If you are able, I would request you check this thread at least once per day so that we can try to resolve your issues effectively and efficiently. If you are going to be delayed please be considerate and post that information so that I know you are still with me. Unfortunately, there are many people waiting to be assisted and not enough of us at BleepingComputer to go around. I appreciate your understanding and diligence.Thank you for your patience thus far. While I review our situation please run the below for me.===================================================Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (FRST)--------------------Download Farbar Recover Scan Tool for either 32 bit or 64 bit systems and save it to your desktop <<< ImportantIf you are unsure if you have 32 bit or 64 bit simply download and try one. If that doesn't run properly the other one shouldDouble click the iconClick Yes to the disclaimerMake sure the Addition.txt box is checkedClick Scan and allow the program to runClick OK on the Scan complete screen, then OK on the Addition.txt pop up screen2 Notepad documents should now be open on your desktop.Please copy and paste the contents of both in your reply===================================================System Summary Information--------------------Press the windows key + r on your keyboard at the same timeType msinfo32 and press EnterLeft click on System SummaryClick File, Save, and name the file SummaryZip and attach the file to your reply===================================================Things I would like to see in your next reply. Please be sure to copy and paste any requested log information unless you are asked to attach it. FRST resultsAddition logSys... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/565566/hickjackthis-log-cant-connect-to-network-cant-open-network-adapter-settings/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi. We have 3 computers connected to our router via cable and the network works just fine. Recently 2 friends of ours have joined our network with their laptops via wireless and it still worked fine. However, when another friend stopped by and wanted to connect (again via wireless) as soon as she connected to the router the whole network stopped working for everybody. I tried to give her a static IP so there wouldn't be a conflict anywhere but that didn't help. If I connected her through the cable, then everything was fine. But as soon as she tried wireless, the whole network stopped working again. None of the other computers cause this problem, just hers. Whenever she tries to connect, the network always stops working for everybody.
All the systems are win 7. the router is : cisco RangePlus Wireless Router, WRT110

A:network stops working when a laptop joins the network via wireless

Make sure she has the latest and correct wireless driver (from the laptop manufacturer's site if the adapter is integrated).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-stops-working-when-a-laptop-joins-the-network-via-wireless.1086673/
Relevancy 25.8%

I have a network problem and it may be a bit hard to explain my situation fully but I ll try to cover the pertinent information Basically when I do anything network intensive like a file transfer the file transfer will work but it will kill all other network activities I can t browse the web or IM during this time as Firefox will say that it s timed out and IM will drop off and disconnect The network setup I m using is hard to explain fully but the basic core of it is a router with an access point linked via WDS The router provides wifi through the house and also connects to the AP with WDS full g signal The AP basically just gives me hardwired Ethernet ports for my equipment which is in a location where it would be very difficult to hardwire Both the router and AP are running the latest quot tomato quot aftermarket firmware FWIW Almost all of my transfers involve going from wired to wireless I tested my transfer network stops other network Wireless activity? file all transfer speed during several file transfers and got just a tad over MB s mbit s which seems ok to me since it s going from wired Wireless network file transfer stops all other network activity? to wireless g If I do a transfer over Wireless network file transfer stops all other network activity? ethernet to ethernet no wireless it does not seem to cause the problem Basically it seems like the router is not dividing up wireless bandwidth as it should It seems to be only allowing the one transfer to use the wireless at any given time Is there a setting that might help me I was thinking maybe a QOS setting might help but I m not really sure what I m doing in that respect This is what my QOS menus look like if that helps Any help is appreciated I m no network whiz so take it easy on me Thanks nbsp

A:Wireless network file transfer stops all other network activity?

Have you tried another router or changed the routers location?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-network-file-transfer-stops-all-other-network-activity.111523/
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi I to network connect Unable network wireless to addressaddress acquiring am hoping that someone can help me We have three computers at home two which are connected to router and working fine and my laptop My laptop was connecting to my home wireless network until my daughter used it last Now it will not connect at all I used to have to follow the steps below for some reason and then it would connect fine Wireless network connections Change advanced settings Wireless Networks tab I would have to tick the checkbox USE WINDOWS TO CONFIGURE MY WIRELESS NETWORK SETTINGS Then into properties for my wireless Unable to connect to wireless network acquiring network addressaddress network and in association retype my password and then it would connect it seemed like to Unable to connect to wireless network acquiring network addressaddress much work every time but it still worked There was other networks in the list Unable to connect to wireless network acquiring network addressaddress which i deleted and wireless network connection shows that the network connection strength is excellent but it just seems to get stuck aquiring the network address I have tried repair etc Can someone please help me with this as maybe it s just something simple nbsp

Relevancy 25.8%

Hi BC I am using XP My wireless network is using the quot G Wireless Modem Router by Belkin It is running unsecured The network normally runs adequately - there are annoying moments when it just seems to freeze but seconds later it comes back to life Yesterday it was performing as usual ie adequately Today I cannot connect to the internet at all either with IE or Mozilla my normal browser When I look at the network status all seems well - it is shown as connected and the signal strength is quot excellent quot But the efforts to connect just time out Mozilla says that quot the connection was reset quot lets you quot try again quot but it never connects I have AVAST running in fully protected mode network - has wireless fine works failed network neighbour's My I decided to run Malwarebytes to check for anything unusual It asked if I wanted to update the virus database - I agreed - it then hung presumably because it could not make its connection I ran it again this time refusing to do the update and it completed a Quick Scan reporting no problems found I disconnected from my network My wireless network has failed - neighbour's network works fine and connected to a neighbour s unsecured network and everything worked fine I switched my router off and on and tried my network again - same problem I tried doing a quot repair quot on the connection by right clicking on the taskbar icon - this operation rarely seems to complete normally on my computer It frequently times out with a message like My wireless network has failed - neighbour's network works fine quot unable to connect quot but when you then examine the network status you find that the connection has been made and all is well It is not unusual therefore to have an error message However this time there was a different error message - I didn t take special note of it at the time but it was something about being unable to clear some kind of cache - this is the only truly unusual thing I can point you to I have recently been through a successful detox of my system courtesy of BC which was very successful It has been a couple of weeks since that and there have been no problems since so I dont think the current problem is related but thought I d mention it anyway Can you help please Kenny

A:My wireless network has failed - neighbour's network works fine

When you rebooted your router, did you unplug every wire from it, for atleast 30 seconds?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/377122/my-wireless-network-has-failed-neighbours-network-works-fine/
Relevancy 25.8%

I come to you as a PC ignoramus in need of some expert advice with regards to a serious issue I am facing I have had hackers completely takeover my network and have not only taken control of all webtraffic from the network on all devices but also have installed some form of software which stops me from changing AV etc Only reason I noticed is I went TCPview Will attach pictures and noticed these connections i have tried reinstalling and it only comes on as soon as I connect to the network Also I have run Spyhunter and it is consistently coming up with large amounts of cookies threats Namely Sex - Name Media Path C Users Owner AppData Local Google network hijacked HELP!! Infected traffic - takeover Whole + Network PCs Complete Chrome User Data Default Cookies ipinfo stat com Severdyby and numerous others I have no idea what to do and need your assistance Its much appreciated BC members Complete Network takeover - Whole network traffic hijacked + PCs Infected HELP!! DDS Ver - - - NTFS AMD Internet Explorer BrowserJavaVersion Run by Owner at on - - Microsoft Windows Professional GMT AV AVG AntiVirus Free Edition Enabled Updated E C - B - FA - AB - E CB ECD SP Windows Defender Disabled Updated D DDC A- F- fae- E -DA C ACF SP AVG AntiVirus Free Edition Enabled Updated B F C - - E- - BB D A FW AVG update module Enabled AFA E - CDC- EF - EE-C C ABA Running Processes C Windows system lsm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k DcomLaunch C Windows system nvvsvc exe C Program Files x NVIDIA Corporation D Vision nvSCPAPISvr exe C Windows system svchost exe -k RPCSS C Windows system atiesrxx exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalSystemNetworkRestricted C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalService C Windows system svchost exe -k netsvcs C Windows system atieclxx exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkService C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation Display nvxdsync exe C Program Files Common Files SPBA upeksvr exe C Windows System spoolsv exe C Program Files Dell Dell Data Protection Access Advanced Wave Trusted Drive Manager TdmService exe C Windows System svchost exe -k LocalServiceAndNoImpersonation C Windows system svchost exe -k LocalServiceNoNetwork C Program Files x Common Files Adobe ARM armsvc exe C Program Files x Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Intel iCLS Client HeciServer exe C Windows system IProsetMonitor exe C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Management Engine Components DAL jhi service exe C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamscheduler exe C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice exe C Program Files x Common Files Microsoft Shared VS DEBUG mdm exe C Windows system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Windows system taskhost exe C Program Files Dell Dell Data Protection Access Advanced Wave Authentication Manager WaveAMService exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files x Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbam exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSVC EXE C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLIDSvcM exe C Windows system svchost exe -k NetworkServiceNetworkRestricted C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtDCpl exe C Program Files x Common Files Apple Internet Services ApplePhotoStreams exe C Windows system taskeng exe C Program Files x iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files x ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C Program Files Enigma Software Group SpyHunter SpyHunter exe C Program Files x SpyShelter Firewall SpyShelter exe C Program Files x Common Files Apple Internet Services APSDaemon exe C Program Files x ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CCC exe C Windows system SearchIndexer exe C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation Display nvtray exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmpnetwk exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Windows system wbem wmiprvse exe C Users... Read more

A:Complete Network takeover - Whole network traffic hijacked + PCs Infected HELP!!

Anyone able to help me?

Would be much appreciated

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/547083/complete-network-takeover-whole-network-traffic-hijacked-pcs-infected-help/
Relevancy 25.8%

This is a desktop PC with Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Up until yesterday the PC had perfect internet access via ethernet When I came to use it last night - no access The situation The sys tray icon has a red cross and mouse over produces Not connected - no connections are available The network Adapter is a Realtek PCIe Solved: and not Centre Network Adapter Network in Sharing showing GBE Family Controller and is showing in Device Manager and according to the properties is working correctly The network diagnostics troubleshooter finds the following - Windows could not automatically detect this network s proxy settings When I open Network and Sharing Centre and then click on Change Adapter Solved: Network Adapter not showing in Network and Sharing Centre Settings there is nothing showing in the Network Connection If I click on Connect to a network I get No connections available If I click on Set Solved: Network Adapter not showing in Network and Sharing Centre up a new connection I get Windows did not detect any networking hardware What I have tried I have uninstalled the network adapter from device manager and then reinstalled it Still showing as ok I have run netsh int ip reset quot and quot netsh winsock reset quot I have downloaded and installed the latest adapter drivers I noticed a Windows Critical update had been done at so I restored the system to before that update I restored further back than that update to two days previously None of the above worked and I m not sure what else to try Has the actual hardware failed or is there something else I can do nbsp

Relevancy 25.8%

Hi, I'm trying to connect my computer again after it all of a sudden stopped connecting. I have a linksys wireless-g usb network adapter with speedbooster. I can connect to crappy unprotected networks and i can see my own network, however, I can't connect to it. When it says "waiting for network" it just gives up after a minute or so. When it says detecting network type, it says the network could be out of range. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Instructions would be even more appreciated, because I am not very computer-literate.

Thanks!

Relevancy 25.8%

I have a small office network I had to reset the network password key and now I can enter wireless No secure network to [SOLVED] for otpion network key not get one of the laptops to connect to [SOLVED] No otpion to enter network key for secure wireless network the secure network All other wireless devices connect with no problem The network is available and has a bar signal strength When I select the network I do not get asked for the network key Instead there is an attempt to login and shortly thereafter I get an error message saying quot Windows is unable to connect to the selected network The network may no longer be in range Please refresh the list of available networks and try to connect again quot As stated above the strength is at bars and all of the other wireless devices are connected to the same secure network I am trying to connect to I have manually a ded the network SSID and network key and still can not get this laptop to connect to the secure network I am able to connect to several unsecure networks in the area but not my secure one My question is how do I get Windows to stop trying to login without asking for the network key Last note I have even tried uninstalling all the network adapters in hopes of resetting so that windows asks for the network key This also failed Thanks for any and all assistance

A:[SOLVED] No otpion to enter network key for secure wireless network

Hi and welcome to TSF I have moved you to networking support for more help

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/solved-no-otpion-to-enter-network-key-for-secure-wireless-network-569931.html
Relevancy 25.8%

So I have 4 computers connected into a gigabit switch,
If I drop power to the switch, all 4 computers' ethernet connections (obviously) go offline.
When I power the switch back on, I would expect, after a few seconds, that they would pick up their connections again.
One of the machines does this, the other 3 get themselves stuck in a state where they think they're online, but can't access anything on the network, and don't respond to pings.
If I disable/reenable the adapter, then do ipconfig /rel /ren
they start working again.
But I'm scratching my head trying to work out why 1 machine is fine, and 3 aren't. They are the same exact hardware (and cost $US3800 each)
and have the same windows image on them...

??? Also note that they are on DHCP with reservations.

Any ideas would be cool. thanks!

A:Some workstations network connections don't recover after network switch outage

When the switch comes back up, do these machines still have valid IP addresses, or do they switch to 169.x.x.x APIPA addressing? Also, if you hard-code IP address information (rather than rely on DHCP) as a test, do the machines all network properly after the switch drop and re-up?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/some-workstations-network-connections-dont-recover-after-network-switch-outage-560092.html
Relevancy 25.8%

Hello,

due to the fact that we are a small business firm and don't have a server OS I'd like to create a network drive folder tree for Lawyers, Secretaries etc. with different access rights and so on.

On our Storage-Workstation I'm able to deny access or free access to folders completely, but if I wanna allow access only for special users, I don't succeed.

I can specify groups and users in Computer management - Local users and groups, but I can't include the computers of our workgroup, I don't see them, only the workstation pc name is given. Can somebody help me?

A:Client-based network for small business with network-drives (without using AD)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/client-based-network-for-small-business-with-network-drives-without-using-ad.792760/
Relevancy 25.8%

I am connected to the internet, but there is a red x on my network icon (yet when you hover over it, it says internet access.) I tried to go into the network and sharing > change adapter settings, yet the Network connections folder is COMPLETELY blank.

I tried reinstalling the driver. Initially, I get a message that says "the parameter is incorrect" Although, I tried to do it a second time, it said that the driver is up to date.

I dunno what else to do. I'd like to have access to my LAN connection. I'm running Win 7 Ultimate x64.

A:Network Connections Blank - Red X on Network Icon- but Internet works

Well, after 3 hours of trying to find a solution, I immediately found it after creating this thread. Sorry!!!

Anyway, the solution was to open the registry editor, go to: "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network" and delete the “Config” value. I restarted my computer, and all was well.

Still wondering: why did this happen in the first place?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/224729-network-connections-blank-red-x-network-icon-but-internet-works.html
Relevancy 25.8%

I use a Comcast broadband gateway, say that this network is called 'Home'.
Connected to the 'Home' LAN I have multiple PC's, a Wii, and a Linksys E2500 Router.
Connected to the Linksys routers LAN I have 1 PC and 1 network storage device. I would like to map a network drive from a PC on the 'Home' LAN to the storage device on the Linksys router LAN.
The PC on the Linksys LAN is mapped just fine to the storage device because it's on the same LAN, I cant seem to connect anything from my 'Home' LAN to my Linksys LAN. Is it possible to do this type of mapping?
Both PCs use Windows 7.

roadmaster

A:How can I Access a Child Network From a Parent Network in Win7 64bit

Why did you add a second "router" (i.e. the E2500)? You describe only a PC and NAS connected to it, which I assume are both wired-connected to the E2500. Doesn't sound like you need any of the wireless capabilities of the E2500.

What you really should have done is get a "switch", not a router, to satisfy your needs to connect that PC and NAS. A switch has none of the firewall and security features that a router has. It's simply a "port-multiplier" which has one upstream connection port (say to a wired port on your primary Comcast gateway, i.e. modem + router combined), same as your E2500 is currently connected through its WAN port to your Comast router. The switch also has an additional number of downstream ports, to allow devices in its physical vicinity to be wired-connected, same as your router did. So to the downstream wired devices currently connected to your E2500 the "switch" device looks identical, and provides the identical access to the Internet.

But the switch will provide unblocked access to all other devices on the primary LAN hosted by itself as well as by the Comcast router. And it will also provide unblocked access to all downstream devices, to any upstream device (like your first computer). Everything connected through the switch appears identical to how it would look if connected directly to the primary router, and access between ALL devices is now possible and unrestricted by firewalls and security (since there's no second router involved).

The net effect is to provide wired connection of all the downstream devices to the primary router, as if they each had their own individual wired connection to the primary router. But they don't each have their own wired connection obviously, they're simply sharing the one upstream connection from switch to router, splitting the bandwidth (of that one upstream connection) as needed whenever they need to.

So, using a simple inexpensive reliable "gigabit switch" such as the Netgear GS105 instead of your E2500, you would connect the same cable between the Comcast router and your current E2500 to one of the ports on the GS105. Then you'd connect your second PC and the NAS to two more ports on the GS105. Bingo, presto, the second PC and NAS are now part of the primary Comcast LAN's attached devices, exactly as if they had been connected directly to one of the wired ports on the Comcast box.

That's my suggestion. A home LAN with two or more routers isn't "friendly" because of the firewall and security issues (which can be disabled, but really shouldn't come into play at all). You simply want the "port-multiplying" function of a "switch" at the remote room locations around your house, to provide additional wired Internet connectivity (say to smart TV's and players) where you have only one ethernet cable run to that room.

The multiplexing effect of a switch provides no greater than the upstream maximum speed to any of its downstream connected devices, but as long as they're not all working at the same time you might as well have full speed to each downstream device. Otherwise, they will "share" the upstream bandwidth.
NOTE: if you actually do need wireless capability in the neighborhood vicinity of that GS105 switch (which itself only has wired capability) because the wireless range of your primary Comcast WiFi router doesn't reach far enough with sufficient connection quality and speed, you can add an inexpensive "wireless access point (WAP)". This is another form of "switch" which includes both wired and wireless capability (like a WiFi router). The wireless network radiating around the WAP is a SECOND wireless network in your house, and is facilitated by the wired connection between the WAP and the primary router.

If you need this (i.e. remote WiFi to areas of the house where the primary WiFi network can't get to), we can talk more about it. But th... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/355300-how-can-i-access-child-network-parent-network-win7-64bit.html
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi folks This forum has been extremely helpful for me in the past so I'm testing your awesomeness unrelated card Inconsistent networking or problems, network to network once again I've had an Inconsistent networking problems, unrelated to network or network card unusual networking problem for about a year and a half When browsing the web certain requests will just never complete on any browser Downloads are often interrupted anything larger than MB is nearly impossible Even large transfers between this machine and others on my local network will fail SCP connections will sometimes abort in the middle of a transfer It's quite inconsistent I don't have this problem for any particular resource Inconsistent networking problems, unrelated to network or network card and the failure point is different every time If a particular page isn't rendering I can often go to my yahoo com which for some reason always seems to work and hit the back arrow and then the request will often complete normally Google is a little unique when I encounter this problem on Google I have to wait for the original requests to be aborted after about seconds before any further requests to Google will succeed I can't say exactly when it started but it was reasonably close to the time I updated a driver for my network adapter as instructed At the time I was on a wired network using a Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller adapter connecting through the wired port of an old Netgear router sorry I don't have the model number to cable broadband with NuVisions Since then I have changed just about everything except my motherboard I've disabled my old network adapter though it's still connected I'm on a wireless network using a Netgear WNDA N Wireless Dual Band USB Adapter connecting through a Linksys E to Verizon FIOS Unfortunately nothing about my problem has changed I fear a motherboard issue but I don't know how to find out Can you please help

A:Inconsistent networking problems, unrelated to network or network card

Sorry, I didn't complete the checklist!

I have no anti-virus, security or firewall software. I've run numerous scans since the problem began, and they've always been clean.

Attached is the output from ipconfig /all.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/332865-inconsistent-networking-problems-unrelated-network-network-card.html
Relevancy 25.8%

I'm having the most bizarre issue with like machines in my network all Windows Ent x Basically for some reason these machines lose the Domain network profile once a day randomly and it's always after the GP is applied automatically The thing is I got another couple of hundreds of machines under the same set of policies confirmed with GPResult and only are affected so a GP is not the issue of the affected machines is in another location with a different subnet router switch ISP different everything network-wise There are no local firewall rules there was however a rule blocking inbound Explorer exe connection for domain profiles only but this can't cause any harm the rule was deleted just in case though nbsp Running GP update manually or waiting for the automatic policy request does not changes to after GPO network applied None/Public/Identifying Network randomly is profile reproduce the problem The issue can happen at any time and under any circumstance whether Network profile changes to None/Public/Identifying network randomly after GPO is applied the user is logged on or not computer locked or not etc When the issue happens the network icon has a yellow exclamation sign and it is quot Identifying network quot until the next policy update On the Firewall service logs I can see how the Network profile changes back and forth a few times ending in Network Profile None The computers are different models Network profile changes to None/Public/Identifying network randomly after GPO is applied between HPs and Dells An IPConfig renew or a computer restart fixes the issue until next day when it happens again I have set a scheduled task to renew the Network profile changes to None/Public/Identifying network randomly after GPO is applied IP every morning and provided a script for the user to manually kick of the task in case it happens anyway But for the life of me I can't figure out what's causing this issue on out of hundreds of computers in different physical locations I enabled GP debugging in the affected computers to look in detail what may be overlapping or triggering what should not be triggered I lean towards a GP issue because the affected users are all part of the same group user policy maybe Not sure Any ideas will be greatly appreciated maybe I'm missing the obvious or you have experienced an issue like this and want to share your experience Thanks ahead nbsp Miguel Angel Mojica IT Administrator Server Administrator MTA CCNA CCDA

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/6cfa7496-dfff-460f-815d-8947b0e37a6e/network-profile-changes-to-nonepublicidentifying-network-randomly-after-gpo-is-applied?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi there, I use Wireless internet for both my pc and laptop, and connect through my BT Homehub. But whenever I open the wireless connections tab, it always shows a Talk Talk Wireless option along with the BT one which I use (and sometimes a 3rd connection that is unknown to me).
I think my network is secure, as I have to put a network key in before it will connect to the internet on the PC, but when I connect to the internet on the laptop no key is required, (so unsure a bit now) but I just wanted to make sure that the Talk Talk connection and the other one that is showing, is not somebody who can see all of the files on either my pc or laptop.
Just wanted some advice really, to make sure I dont have anybody viewing my files etc. Thank you in advance.

Relevancy 25.8%

I've installed this on 3 client machines now (all win7 pro) and each of them has the same result: "none of the network adapters are bound to the netmon driver" when I try to capture.  I've run as admin, checked membership in teh NetMon Users
group on the local machine.  Nothing seems to help.
Any suggestions are welcome.
thx,
DML

DLovitt

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ba435695-84bf-48ff-9a52-c2588b4f3941/network-monitor-34-none-of-the-network-adapters-are-bound-to-the-netmon-driver?forum=netmon
Relevancy 25.8%

Just put XP Home on 2 computers. One with 128MB and the other 512. I just plugged everything into the new router and the pc w/ 512 works instantly, but the other says that it cannot assign or renew a network addy for the computer. Ran the wizard on both computers, still says limited or no connectivity, and the other error mssg. Any help is a big help. Thanks. Silvertip

A:Ethernet Router, 2PC's XP H. = Network Did Not Assign A Network Addy to the Comp.???

Are you sure the router is connected properly? Good cables?

Let's see this on the working computer and for the non-working one.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ethernet-router-2pcs-xp-h-network-did-not-assign-a-network-addy-to-the-comp.532974/
Relevancy 25.8%

What I want is the most secured pc possible disabling all the network connections except my private network made with hamachi I use it to play games on lan with my friend but when I get malicious tools from internet all my system is f ed up and I need to reinstall windows softwares and all my games one by one -I use the standard windows firewall my computer is xp pro SP -I deleted every web browser I had explorer not completely removed -Our hamachi network is secured with a password only the two of us using it -I plan on freezing my system partition after making all the changes needed deepfreeze So how can I reinforce my pc security without buying an AV that will ruin me What setting should I change in my firewall or is there a better one aviable for but hamachi block all to network connections private network? How not free Is there an alternative to freezing my system since I need to turn it off even for the smallest change Hope you can help me on this nbsp

A:How to block all network connections but not hamachi private network?

From what I've read, you have to allow Hamachi to contact its server in order to login.

Apart from that, go to Windows Firewall, Exceptions tab, and uncheck everything that you feel is not used.

A stateful packet inspection (SPI) firewall will only allow networks packets to come in if it has seen packets going out to that address. So if an application talks to a server, then that server is allowed to reply back. Otherwise all other inbound connections attempts are blocked. The Windows Firewall is an SPI type. So, that should fulfill your requirement of "disabling all network connections" .

One thing you should consider. Windows Firewall on XP doesn't block outgoing applications. So if you downloaded a malware and it starts calling home, Windows Firewall will not stop it. There are free firewalls available, like Comodo and Online Armor, which have outbound blocking. These 2 have a built in white list of safe programs to allow online. If an unrecognized program calls outbound, it will ask you for permission.

I don't understand why an antivirus will ruin you. I'll assume that you mean financially. There are a number of antivirus programs that are free: AVG Free, MS Security Essentials and Avast.

You stated that you want the 'most secured pc possible'. So I'll add some other advice.

Get a router if you don't have one. Even if you have only 1 PC. The router will act as a basic hardware firewall. The Windows Firewall is ok, but you need that router as an additional layer of defense.

It is best not to tamper with Internet Explorer, it is too integrated into Windows. Besides, you will need a browser to configure your router. But you can use Firefox, Opera or Chrome.

A secured Windows is one that is configured to do Only the things you need, and nothing more. When you have extra features that you don't need, it just enlarges the 'attack surface' that an attacker can use. First things to look for are the 'network facing' features, because hackers can tamper with anything that respond through the internet.

Go to Network/Properties and uncheck all protocols that you do not use. A minimal configuration just needs TCP/IP v 4.

There are some services running on XP that you'll never use. See this article:

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=354

Note, you better write down the list of services that you disable, and what the original settings were - automatic or manual.

Go to Secunia and install their PSI program. This program will inspect your installed applications and notify you when one of them have security updates. You will want to run this weekly.

Also keep Windows Update on Automatic. Most patches nowadays are security related, and you do NOT want to delay installing them.

If your programs can work when using a non-admin account, then use a non-admin account for your daily activities. The administrator account is all powerful, and if someone successfully attacks a program running as admin, they will gain admin rights on your system too. Then it's game over.

Someone with physical access to your PC can do a lot of damage. So you should have a long and complex passphrase for logon. For example, the phrase "Kirk is the captain of the USS Enterprise" will become "kitcotusse". Throw in a number and it becomes "k444itcotusse". I recommend passphrases longer than 16 characters.

Part of keeping your Windows secure is to keep up with all security fixes. A lot of successful attacks are based on vulnerabilities that already have patches, just because people don't do Windows Update. Never fall behind on patches. This is especially important for XP, because unlike Vista or Win7, it doesn't have ASLR, services hardening and other technologies to foil attacks.

Security is part 'setup' and a lot of maintenance. To use a physical analogy, you want to lock a door to keep the room safe... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-block-all-network-connections-but-not-hamachi-private-network.940976/
Relevancy 25.8%

I'm building a subscription wifi network for our area.

Cisco Aironet 1550 series: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps5679/ps11451/data_sheet_c78-641373.html
Proxim Orinocor series: http://www.proxim.com/products/enterprise-wireless-lan-wi-fi-mesh/orinocor-wi-fi-mesh-series

The Proxim seems like the better product, and sells for a bit less.

Will I need to purchase anything else besides several of these for the network? I'm assuming the 'home' router connects to a PC (or the PC via the gateway address) for managing the network.

Thanks allot for your insight.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wifi-wimax-network-creating-a-subscription-network.1011867/
Relevancy 25.8%

I have a Win XP host desktop running a wireless home network using a router hub I have successfully set up my laptop Win XP locate network cannot setup hardware Network wizard as a client and am attempting to set up Network setup wizard cannot locate network hardware my older desktop Win SE as a client I created the Network Setup floppy disk from the Win XP host When running this on the Win SE desktop an error is received that it cannot locate network hardware I know the network hardware is installed properly as I am able to access the internet and e-mail from the Win Se desktop I can successfully quot ping quot the Win XP desktop and the Win XP laptop from the Wn SE desktop Also I can see the directories I set up as quot shared quot on the Win SE desktop from both the Win XP Network setup wizard cannot locate network hardware desktop and laptop When I open the quot Network Neighborhood quot in Win SE the only icon listed is the quot Entire Network quot Clicking on this results in an error window quot Unable to browse the network The network is not accessible For more information look in the Help Index at the topic Network Troubleshooter Network setup wizard cannot locate network hardware quot which is no help btw The crazy thing is I had it working great sharing files and the printer on the host until I tried to set up a new printer During the installation it crashed and I can t quot see quot the host and the laptop from the Win SE desktop anymore I uninstalled and reinstalled the Bellsouth home networking software thinking that would fix it but it didn t The network hardware I am using is a Samsung Netopia b WLAN USB Adapter It was packaged with a WIRE router I recieved from Bellsouth after signing up for DSL and wireless home networking - FYI Thanks nbsp

A:Network setup wizard cannot locate network hardware

Is the Win98 machine directly connected to the router or is it a wireless connection? Could a firewall be the problem? Are all computers a member of the same workgroup?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-setup-wizard-cannot-locate-network-hardware.440261/
Relevancy 25.8%

This morning I installed an optional update from Windows Update. It was Ralink Technology WLAN 802.11 wireless LAN card.

Since then, when I try to print to my wireless network printer, the network would disconnect then come back on after a while. The update shows up in Update History as successfully installed but not in the installed updates. System restore is of no help here. The network configuration page shows normal. The web does not appear to be affected. I made a new network connection for the printer but it did not help.

Is there a way to reverse this update or should I uninstall the 802.11 LAN card and let windows re-install anew.

The printer is a HP Officejet Pro 8600e

A:Random network disconnect to wireless network printer

You can go into device manager -right click the network card and roll back the driver - then search for this in windows search - "change device installation settings" and select never let windows install driver updates - also hide the driver in windows update - that should do it - if it still installs u can turn off a setting in maintenance - from memory.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/21201-random-network-disconnect-wireless-network-printer.html
Relevancy 25.8%

I am gravely in need of your help and assistance We have a problem with our logon and startup to our Windows Enterprise system We have more than Windows Desktops situated in roughly buildings around campus Almost every Issues Network with Group Network and Policy Logon computer on campus has the problem that I will be describing I have spent over one month peering over etl files from Windows Network Logon Issues with Group Policy and Network Performance Analyzer A great product and hundreds of thousands of event logs I come to you today humbled that I could not figure this out The problem as simply put our logon times are extremely long An average first time logon is roughly - minutes depending on the software installed All computers are Windows the oldest computers being years old Startup times on various computers range from good - minutes to very bad - Our second time logons range from seconds to minutes We have a gigabit connection between each computer on the network We have domain controllers which also double as our DNS servers Initial testing led us to believe that this was a software problem So I spent a few days testing machines only to find inconsistent results from the etl files from xperfview Each subset of computers on campus had a different subset of software issues none seeming to interfere with logon just startup So I started looking at our group policy and located some very interesting event ID s Group Policy The processing of Group Policy failed because of lack of network connectivity to a domain controller Group Policy The processing of Group Policy failed Windows could not resolve the computer name This could be caused by one of more of the following a Name Resolution failure on the current domain controller b Active Directory Replication Latency an account created on another domain controller has not replicated to the current domain controller NETLOGON This computer was not able to set up a secure session with a domain controller in domain OURDOMAIN due to the following There are currently no logon servers available to service the logon request This may lead to authentication problems Make sure that this computer is connected to the network If the problem persists please contact your domain administrator E kexpress Intel LM- Gigabit Network Connection Network link is disconnected NetBT The driver could not be created WMI - Event filter with query quot SELECT FROM InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN WHERE TargetInstance ISA quot Win Processor quot AND TargetInstance LoadPercentage gt quot could not be reactivated in namespace quot root CIMV quot because of error x Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected More or less with timestamps it becomes apparent that the network maybe the issue - Group Policy is trying to discover the domain controller information - The network link has been disconnected - The processing of Group Policy failed because of lack of network connectivity to a domain controller This may be a transient condition A success message would be generated once the machine gets connected to the domain controller and Group Policy has successfully processed If you do not see a success message for several hours then contact your administrator - Making LDAP calls to connect and bind to active directory DC ourdomain edu - Call failed after milliseconds - Forcing rediscovery of domain controller details - Group policy failed to discover the domain controller in milliseconds - Periodic policy processing failed for computer OURDOMAIN name in seconds - A network link has been established at Gbps at full duplex - The network link has been disconnected - NtpClient was unable to set a domain peer to use as a time source because of discovery error NtpClient will try again in minutes and DOUBLE THE REATTEMPT INTERVAL thereafter - A network link has been established at Gbps at full duplex - Name resolution for the name Name timed out after none of the configured DNS servers resp... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-logon-issues-with-group-policy-and-network.1059952/
Relevancy 25.8%

I'm trying desperately to set up my network on Windows but have hit a bump in that it just cannot find my network I checked Device Manager Network Setup Card) Network (Belkin Cannot N1 Wireless to see if the card was found - it was with a troubleshoot exclamation point on it I removed the card used the installation disc and am not able to get very far After the install after which nothing happens I click on Cannot Setup Wireless Network (Belkin N1 Network Card) the Belkin Wireless Networking Utility icon on the desktop and it says quot missing shortcut searching for Belkinwcui exe quot after Cannot Setup Wireless Network (Belkin N1 Network Card) which I get a window saying quot The item Belkinwcui exe that this shortcut refers to has been changed of moved so this Cannot Setup Wireless Network (Belkin N1 Network Card) shortcut will no longer work properly quot That exe file isn't anywhere in my computer searching through Explorer In fact in the Belkin install folder Program Files x - gt Belkin - gt FSD v there just looks like maybe a driver AegisE dll and an application AegisI that doesn't run My next choice I guess is to take my PC upstairs and line it into my modem base station directly but I'd rather not move it Am I missing something Why won't this work How come I can't install my Wireless Card Please help if you can Thanks

A:Cannot Setup Wireless Network (Belkin N1 Network Card)

I'm experiencing an almost identical issue. I had the same problems with the installation disc. After multiple install / unistall / restarts I was able to get the client installed. However, when I click to open the .exe nothing happens.

On top of that, the system is not recognizing the card. I tried all 4 PCI slots with no success.

I installed this same card (same model, different physical card) on a pc running xp sp3 very easily. Since that was so easy I bought another card for my windows 7 machine.

However, I was lazy and didn't do any research. Before I came upon this forumn I found a couple of google links saying this card was incompatible with vista (therefore incompatible with w7?).

Any else out there get this card working?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/30807-cannot-setup-wireless-network-belkin-n1-network-card.html
Relevancy 25.8%

I have created an ad hoc wireless network by the name quot Trial quot and created a network key as quot letstry quot Now I am trying to login to this network from other computer which is in the same room at ft distance This ad hoc network appears files in to network copying ad ad network computers connecting from hoc hoc and in the list of available networks When I connecting to ad hoc network and copying files from computers in ad hoc network try to connecting to ad hoc network and copying files from computers in ad hoc network login it asks for the network key I provided network key and then confirmed it now when I click connect instead of getting connected to first computer I am getting pop up window mwssage In the title bar of the pop window it says quot Wireless configuration quot In the message it reads quot The network password needs to be bits or bits depending on your network configuration This can be entered as or ascii characters or or hexadecimal characters quot Then I changed network key to quot letstry quot i e exactly ascii characters and now I am able to connect to the ad hboc wireless network of first computer Does it mean that network key has to bne exactly or ascii characters and nothing else than that If not then quot letstry quot network key has ascii characters between and ascii characters then why am I getting this kind of message But now I can not browse files of fisrt computer from second computer or vice versa When I am connnected to ad hoic network and open network and sharing center I see only one link quot My computer - gt internet quot which is broken Usually the link diagram is shown as quot My computer - gt Network - gt internet quot When I am connected to ad hoc network quot network quot part from the diagram is missing If there is quot network quot part in the diagram may be I can browse computers in the network and see other computer But since I can not see other computer this way how can I connect to other computer Whats the way to browse other connected computers in the ad hoc network How do I copy files from one computer to other When I click on computer I can not see the files or folders of other computer Please guide me how to copy files

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/connecting-to-ad-hoc-network-and-copying-files-from-computers-in-ad-hoc-network-479434.html
Relevancy 25.8%

I've just about given up on this but maybe someone can help I have Windows my wife's computer has Windows Vista There are also other computers on the network in the backroom using and XP I believe but they are not involved in this problem directly My wife uses the Linksys version USB Wireless Adapter My HP is a wireless adapter that is built in and I can't Network When Crashes Wireless Network Transferring Internet Across check from here but I believe the problem is being caused by her computer or some kind of incompatibility between hers and the router which is a Linksys wrt g Anyways the problem occurs when trying to transfer files between the two computers normally mine to hers It's fairly slow at only meg per minute as displayed by the dialog box and it Wireless Network Crashes Internet When Transferring Across Network crashes the internet completely As soon as we transfer anything it seems to just kill the network We can both download and surf from the internet but computer to computer it just seems to die Now I believe I've transfered to other computers when my mom was visiting with her laptop without issue but with my wife's vista computer it just dies Any clues as Wireless Network Crashes Internet When Transferring Across Network to why this might happen

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/287764-wireless-network-crashes-internet-when-transferring-across-network.html
Relevancy 25.8%

I have several colleagues who have had their Network Places screwed up. When they click on one, they are taken to a folder with a desktop.ini file and "target" folder. Clicking on the target folder takes them to the network place they should have gone to in the first place. Something has changed in Win XP (SP 2) that takes these users to this "middle man" location instead of directly to the network places they have created. Anyone know what causes it? Anyone know how to fix it (without recreating all of their network places)?

Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-network-places-go-to-shortcut-before-going-to-actual-network-location.635119/
Relevancy 25.8%

Is there a way to setup network profiles or something so that when I bring my Surface Pro to work and connect to the wireless network there it will use the static ip address I have but when I disconnect and then connect to my home wifi it will go back to DHCP? On my MacBook Pro I can go into the network settings and change the location profile I have setup for networks but I don't see anything like this for Windows 8.

A:Specific network settings based on wifi network

You can go into IPv4 Properties of this NIC, then you can use the Alternate configuration tab to set up the alternate IP, or use the Advanced tab to add a static IP/gateway/DNS etc. to TCP/IP.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/29158-specific-network-settings-based-wifi-network.html
Relevancy 25.8%

My computer is a bit Win SP with Pentium Dual Core Ghz and Gb of Ram on a wired network My wife has a Cannot Network from Computer Wired Network Ping a on Wireless similar system using a wireless network She can ping my IP Address but I cannot ping hers We both have full access to the Internet We are using the same workgroup and both computers have file and printer sharing enabled and IPv addresses and DNS server addresses selected automatically The problem appears to be with my computer but I don t know how to solve it Please help Here are my system stats Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Pentium R Dual-Core CPU E GHz x Family Model Stepping Cannot Ping Computer on a Wireless Network from Wired Network Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R G Express Chipset Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB M Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC P G -M LE Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials Updated and Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 25.8%

Hello all,
I have tried all the similar solutions to my problem but non eworks.

I have just installed WIndows 7 Home 64bit.
Wireless works (slooooooow).
The cable from my Billion router/modem is recognised but does not work.

In network and sharing centre I can see Wireless as Home Network and cable as:

Unidentified network - Public Network (no link = can't change it).
The 4 TCP/IPv4 is set at automatic. Even if I put the Billion default address 192.168.1.254 and subnet and gateway nothing.

Tried going into ipconfig and it gives me a 169.254.176.23 (=no internet connection then, but I knew that).

The wireless IP is correct at 192.168.1.2

From what I have understood from all the fora I have to change the network from Public to Home.

How do I do it?

I would be very grateful for any sort of help.

A:unidentified network - public network Windows 7 64bit

Hi Villas

Networks\Connections is not my area but this will show you how to change from public to home network - Network Location - Set as Home, Work, or Public Network

Danny

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/181627-unidentified-network-public-network-windows-7-64bit.html
Relevancy 25.8%

Hi Guys,

Just joined this site thinking i will get an answer to my long burning question.

I have two network connections. one WIFI and the other is through my phone nokia E63. (NPCIA) connection. I need this Nokia connection to assign to a particular program. and for all other purpose i need wifi to be used.

phone is slow connection so i need this particular program to access only through that. wifi is fast so i can use for downloads etc..

is there any way i can do this?? or even a third party software which can do this??

I am using windows 7. x32

A:if have multiple network. Assign a program to a specific network

I don't understand why you won't just use the WiFi connection for everything.

What you're asking for is a router/layer 3 switch which can do policy based routing (PBR).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/if-have-multiple-network-assign-a-program-to-a-specific-network.1104225/
Relevancy 25.8%

Sister has Lenova 3000 c200 series laptop, approx 5 years old which has onboard network card which according to specs (as I haven't looked inside), has
IEEE 802.11b and IEEE 802.11g,her linksys router is about same age too and am sure they both need updating, especially as she is moving to area where broadband speed check shows it will be even slower than where she lives now...

Question is :-

Can I upgrade to IEEE 802.11n, and if so, do I have to change the old internal card, or can I buy and insert an external network card adaptor, and then change BIOS settings to disable internal one and enable new one.Just want easiest solution please.
Will also upgrade her router.
Any help much appreciated

Relevancy 25.8%

Help! I'm looking for a network tool to monitor network users, sort of an MRTG, that will graph bandwidth use (packets in, packets out) for each client machine. However, I also want to see where the packets are coming and going. The tool I'm looking for should allow me to retrieve the logs or graphs remotely.

Thanks for anyone who can help.

A:Network Monitoring Tool to view how clients use the network

try Ethereal
http://www.ethereal.com/

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-monitoring-tool-to-view-how-clients-use-the-network.30401/
Relevancy 25.8%

I have two wireless networks, one main and one guest. My laptop is unable to connect to my main network, but it has no problem connecting to my guest network. My phone and desktop connect to my main network just fine, and my laptop connects to any other wifi network just fine too. But the laptop-main home network combination is one that I have never been able to make work.

Well, I have made it work once, when I went and bought a little plug-in wireless adapter. The laptop would connect to the main network if and only if I had this adapter plugged in. I left this adapter in another country (yeah, stupid mistake), and I really don't want to buy another one.

Is there any way I can connect my laptop to my main network without an adapter?

Thanks in advance.