Windows Support Forum

Network not sharing

Q: Network not sharing

I have all the computers in the network shown, but none of them can be reached from another they say u do not have permission. may I get a way to fix this?

thanks in advance
nickc

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Network not sharing

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Network not sharing

Which versions of Windows are on ALL of your systems?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-not-sharing.189257/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi all,

I have a wireless network set up in my house and I want to share some of the folders on my computer so that other family members can listen to my music etc. When I click to turn Network Discovery on, and click apply, it just stays off, same goes for File Sharing.
When I try to turn public folder sharing on, after I click apply I get an error message saying "incorrect function". I have shared stuff on my work network so I'm not sure what's wrong here.

Thanks
MrsB

A:Can't turn Network Discovery, File Sharing and Public Folder Sharing on

Make sure your network is designated home or work; NOT public.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cant-turn-network-discovery-file-sharing-and-public-folder-sharing-on.896468/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have a netbook home bit win and a PC bit pro win sharing the same wired hub I want them to be entirely 'un-networked' so that no communication between them is possible I have tried to turn off 'file and printer sharing' on my PC because and printer sharing sharing auto-enabling file and Network i assume i should but when i reboot i find Network sharing and auto-enabling file and printer sharing it turned back on I've seen this problem addressed in this and other forums but no solution that i could comprehend I also have a VMP media player running off the Network sharing and auto-enabling file and printer sharing hub and would like to access video files on my PC from that device but only if that does not compromise access between netbook and PC I should add - in case it's not obvious - that i really don't have much of a clue what i'm doing and am very confused with the myriad options Particularly the 'local' 'home or work' 'public' 'all' and media streaming options whatever they are I'd be grateful if someone could explain and or confirm what radio buttons to tick to achieve what i want to do Many thanks

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/387954-network-sharing-auto-enabling-file-printer-sharing.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I have a peculiar issue where I would need to have "Network and Sharing Center" open to be able to see that my my laptop's wireless connection. I would see the signal bar and also see the dreaded red x.

Even when I have it open, I can see it refreshing each second; like its losing connection and reestablishing.

My internet connection is working and has no issues.

What can this be?

Network and Sharing Center - Open
Network and Sharing Center - Open and refreshed

Network and Sharing Center - Closed

A:Correct Network Tray Icon - Requires Network and Sharing Center Open??

That will probably be your Ethernet connection, not your wireless adapter, you can disable it in the bios if you don't use it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/245622-correct-network-tray-icon-requires-network-sharing-center-open.html
Relevancy 47.73%

So i'm having an issue connecting my desktop to my home network for file sharing. My Desktop is connected to the internet like so: Desktop ->(Ethernet cable)-> Uverse 2wire router -> Internet.

I have no issues with my internet connection, and in fact I am posting this from my desktop now. Windows Network Diagnostics finds no issues when I run the trouble shooter. and when I try to connect to a home group it refers me to the network issue.

This issue has plagued me for about 6 months now. I have talked to Uverse tech support, and many of my friends who are into computers and have gotten no answers. Computer is running windows 7 SP1 and again the router is the Uverse 2wire router

How can I make my desktop available for network sharing?

Also here is a screenshot of the network map according to this computer

A:Network Sharing Problem. Connecting Desktop to home network

Have you set up a home network? What is the workgroup name? Are there any passwords of any kind? Have you set your shared settings on each PC in the workgroup?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/207840-network-sharing-problem-connecting-desktop-home-network.html
Relevancy 47.73%

This is a desktop PC with Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Up until yesterday the PC had perfect internet access via ethernet When I came to use it last night - no access The situation The sys tray icon has a red cross and mouse over produces Not connected - no connections are available The network Adapter is a Realtek PCIe Solved: and not Centre Network Adapter Network in Sharing showing GBE Family Controller and is showing in Device Manager and according to the properties is working correctly The network diagnostics troubleshooter finds the following - Windows could not automatically detect this network s proxy settings When I open Network and Sharing Centre and then click on Change Adapter Solved: Network Adapter not showing in Network and Sharing Centre Settings there is nothing showing in the Network Connection If I click on Connect to a network I get No connections available If I click on Set Solved: Network Adapter not showing in Network and Sharing Centre up a new connection I get Windows did not detect any networking hardware What I have tried I have uninstalled the network adapter from device manager and then reinstalled it Still showing as ok I have run netsh int ip reset quot and quot netsh winsock reset quot I have downloaded and installed the latest adapter drivers I noticed a Windows Critical update had been done at so I restored the system to before that update I restored further back than that update to two days previously None of the above worked and I m not sure what else to try Has the actual hardware failed or is there something else I can do nbsp

Relevancy 47.73%

Hello,

I am currently living in a college dorm and my only source of internet is their registration-protected wifi. The problem is that I cannot install my printer on their wi-fi network and share information between all of my devices.

So, what I would like to be able to do is connect my mac desktop to their wi-fi (I've got that done), and then share the mac desktop's internet connection with my Airport Express router via ethernet. The Airport Express would then broadcast the internet connection to my other devices. I understand how to activate internet sharing on my mac, but I really need help configuring the ethernet port's IP, the Airport Express' settings, DHCP and DNS stuff, etc.

Thank you so much in advance!

Relevancy 47.3%

whenever i connect to the internet through dial up connection the network icon in the notification area still displays (not connected ) and when i go to the network and sharing it says not connected, ALTHOUGH i can surf the internet with no problems , AND when i insert the Ethernet cable it doesn't connect !!!!???????
please i need your help

A:problems with network icon and in network and sharing center

Welcome to Seven Forums TruthSeeker.
Click on the big red X in the Network window and see what it shows. You might have to clone a MAC address, looks like you have several net adapters.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/176590-problems-network-icon-network-sharing-center.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Hello Im New Here

Why i Cant See the Wireless Network Connection And if i Search Manage Wireless Networks in Control Panel It Says

"Wireless Is Not Currently Enabled"

What Should I do??

Relevancy 47.3%

I have windows 7 Ultimate installed (was originally installed as a clean install) and have ever since it was RTM. Everything has been running flawlessly and still is except for one thing. My network cards don't show up under Network and Sharing Center, but they do show normally under device manager and my network connection is rock solid. Currenly I'm plugged into a 10/100mb At&t U-Verse Residential Gateway (router). Because of this I can't manage either of my NICs and I can't join my homegroup.

The NICs are intergrated into the motherboard. The NICs are Nvidia nForce adapters.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? Or at least know where I can go to figure this out?

Thank you!!

A:Network Adapter Not Shown in Network and Sharing Center

Have you tried downloading and installing the latest drivers from Nvidia?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/74958-network-adapter-not-shown-network-sharing-center.html
Relevancy 47.3%

I have a linksys usb600n (v2) using the Win7 driver from linksys. It installs and is displayed correctly in Device Manger - BUT it doesn't appear in the Network and Sharing Center as an adapter. This same device and driver were previously working just fine in this system - but I rebuilt the OS (clean install) after testing a number of security products out.

The initial install went fine - no problems that I remember - just plug in the adapter and install the drivers obtained from Linksys (Ver 3.00.01.0). I tried the same thing on the re-build and it looks fine until I go into the Network Center and can't set up wireless networking since the adapter does not appear.

SIW shows TWO (2) linksys USB adapters under Hardware/Network Adapters, but does not show the network adapters in the Network Information section.

Any ideas?

A:Network Adapter Not Shown in Network and Sharing Center

Quote: Originally Posted by dhartmann4030

I have a linksys usb600n (v2) using the Win7 driver from linksys. It installs and is displayed correctly in Device Manger - BUT it doesn't appear in the Network and Sharing Center as an adapter. This same device and driver were previously working just fine in this system - but I rebuilt the OS (clean install) after testing a number of security products out.

The initial install went fine - no problems that I remember - just plug in the adapter and install the drivers obtained from Linksys (Ver 3.00.01.0). I tried the same thing on the re-build and it looks fine until I go into the Network Center and can't set up wireless networking since the adapter does not appear.

SIW shows TWO (2) linksys USB adapters under Hardware/Network Adapters, but does not show the network adapters in the Network Information section.

Any ideas?

Hi dhartmann. Welcome to Windows Seven Forums!

It would seem that your computer is confused!! I would suggest, while the usb adapter is plugged in, you remove all drivers in "Device manager". Then unplug the usb adapter and reboot the computer. After Windows has loaded, check "Device manager" again for any remnants of usb adapter drivers. If it is clean, plug the adapter in again so that the usb driver can install again but this time with only one instance. That should un-confuse your computer and allow the adapter to appear in network adapters again.

Let us know if this provides a solution or if we need to try something else?

Robert

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/22044-network-adapter-not-shown-network-sharing-center.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hello,

I have a BT modem which incorporates a wireless modem and 4 switches for hardwiring via ethernet.

I have had to set up a long ethernet cable because the wireless signal does not reach. The ethernet cable is less than 100 m. (About 30m).

I know that the ethernet cable works properly. I know that the modem receives the internet becasue I can connect to it wirelessly via another computer (laptop).

I also know that the wireless modem requires a password.

When I connect with the ethernet cable and bring up 'Network and Sharing Centre'. I find that I get 'Unidentified Network' (Public Network). When I try repairing with Windows Network Diagnostics this does not solve the problem.

Any ideas?

Nevica

A:'Unidentified Network' in Network and Sharing Centre

If you are trying to setup a Wireless connection then the logon name and password must be EXACTLY the same as the original setup.
If you can position the receiver( the comp) close to the sender( router/modem) then when it is up and running you will be able to see how strong the signal is. Then when you move the comp to where it is going to be used you will see how much drop off you are getting. If you are getting substantial drop of in signal strength then look around for how to improve the signal .
NB. Signal strength can be affected by moving the Modem as little as 25mm.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/263793-unidentified-network-network-sharing-centre.html
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi all,

I've recently encountered a ...glitch Every time I connect to wifi (haven't tested with LAN yet) I see original network duplicated

Both "connections" brings up same connection parameters' window.

Any ideas what's the problem and how can I fix it ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/397187-duplicated-network-network-sharing-center.html
Relevancy 46.01%

so I just went into my network and sharing center to turn off IPv6 connectivity on my laptop because it was affecting my ISP and all of a sudden I find out there is a wireless connection 2, any idea on what this is for because I have never seen it on that window and when I go and disable my regular wireless connection they both go away and when I re-enable the normal one both come back up if anybody knows what this is for please let me know I am attaching a screenshot

A:wireless Network 2 in Network and Sharing Center

Kindly read my 2nd and 4th post in this thread: Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter....???

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/320447-wireless-network-2-network-sharing-center.html
Relevancy 43%

My network says I have a couple devices connected that I'm not sure what they are when I click on them they say unavailable how can I monitor or check what is all on my home network

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/74216-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 43%

Hello,

I have a laptop running windows Vista Premium and a home computer running Windows XP. I seem to be having a problem accessing my shared folders from my Vista on my XP computer. I go to "My Network Places" in XP" then go to View Workgroup Computers, and I see the icon for my Vista Computer's name. I click on it and it opens a "Connect to (name)" window. It asks for a username and password. I don't know what this is. Where do I find it. Also, is there a way to get rid of that connect to menu popping up evertime I want to access my laptop shared folders. Thank you.

-Tom

A:Network Sharing

when you see username and password prompt.
try put username and pass you use to login to vista.

or
create user account in vista (give username and pass same as xp machine)
right click on the share folder (in vista), click on properties, then click on security
in the users list box, click "Add" then type in the user name which is same as username from xp.
give any permission you want, apply the settings

best.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-sharing.675553/
Relevancy 43%

Hey guys,

Ok so I'm new here at SevenForums. So what I want to do is connect my Vista PC, and my Windows 7 laptop to my XP laptop which has a printer. I have two printers, one connected to the Vista Desktop and one to the XP laptop. I would also like to enable file sharing. All of these computers are connected to my wireless Internet network. The XP is connected with an Ethernet cable though. Could you guys please help me with this?

Thanks,
Mega99

A:3 PC Network Sharing

Quote: Originally Posted by Mega99

Hey guys,

Ok so I'm new here at SevenForums. So what I want to do is connect my Vista PC, and my Windows 7 laptop to my XP laptop which has a printer. I have two printers, one connected to the Vista Desktop and one to the XP laptop. I would also like to enable file sharing. All of these computers are connected to my wireless Internet network. The XP is connected with an Ethernet cable though. Could you guys please help me with this?
Thanks,
Mega99

Hello Mega99, and welcome to Windows Seven Forums.

In my home network, I have three Windows 7s, a couple of XPs, a couple of Ubuntus, and two printers happily co-existing.

Since the Vista and XP computers cannot use Windows 7's HomeGroup, you will have to add 7 to your Workgroup. In Windows 7 you might as well remove any traces of HomeGroup and disable IPV6: Start here by leaving and removing HomeGroup

Then look at this MS link: if your computer does not have this reg entry, add it with the "dword 0xffffffff" as instructed to disable IPV6 How to disable certain Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) components in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008

Next have your Windows 7 computer join your Workgroup:

To share files between computers you will have to select or create folders, open their properties and "share" with "Everyone".

Also in the Advanced Network Sharing you might want to have setting like this: these are for a simple (not secured) home network

You will need at least one identical user account (with administrator privileges) on each computer to simplify access. You will only need to login once with this account to be given access.

Windows 7 will only be able to print to 7 compatible printers, ie those with drivers. To find out if your printers will work with 7, one way is to temporarily connect the printer directly to the 7 computer. If drivers are found and loaded and you can print, then you will be able to print via your home network. You can also check the printer manufacturer's web site for updated printer drivers. For example, both my printers are connected to my XP computer. 7 has no problem with my HP PSC 1610, although I have not been able to use the scanner yet. However, my Canon S600 is to old and Canon refused to write drivers for Vista or 7, so to use it I have to copy the file to my XP computer and print from there.

Windows 7 uses WPA or WPA2-Personal network security. If you are now using WEP you will have to change to WPA. It is better anyway.

I hope this will get you started, I am sure I have forgotten a few things. No doubt you will have questions along the way. There are many skilled, knowledgeable Gurus here at Windows Seven Forums with networking experience to answer your questions. Feel Free.

Cheers!
Robert

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/66050-3-pc-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 43%

I am trying to share my computer on my network. I am using 2 desktops with a wireless router. Both hook up to the net just fine but I want to do a file share. I went to the hard drive and activated file share on both but dont know why it isnt working. Thanks for any help.

A:network sharing

Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

More details about how to network XP can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting usually works. If browsing is a problem, you might set it to Enabled. But do not Disable it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-sharing.357672/
Relevancy 43%

Is there a way I can find my network password? When I try to access other computers on the network it asks for a username and a network password. I tried the homegroup password but that doesn't work.

Hi brockbeckman001. I guess you are trying to access network shared folders trough a computer which its OS is Windows XP, is that true??

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/131884-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 43%

Hi, My name is Minal and I have this small office set up with 9 laptops and 1 main computer .. i want to connect all these laptop to each others because there is a lot of file that we all need to update everytime ... I cant expected my employees to keep mailing the updated files everytime ... Is there any way I can create a folder in the desktop and keep all the files that needs to be shared in this folder and share it with everybody on the network ???

Please help...

These tutorials should help you. If this is a business you need to make sure that the permissions are setup correctly so no one does the wrong things with the files.

You only need to choose one way. Let us know if you have any issues.

Sharing and Permissions

Public Folder Sharing

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/264747-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 43%

ok heres my situation, there is a main desktop pc with a printer and internet/router connected directly to it and there is also another desktop and a laptop. the main pc can access internet print and access shared files from the other desktop but not the laptop. The secondary desktop can access internet, print from the shared printer and shre files FROM that computer to the main one, but not access files on the laptop or the main desktop. The laptop can access internet, but no printer or file sharing at all. So id like to get all the sharing up and running.
Thanks alot

A:network not sharing right

all systems must be in the same WORKGROUP name.
XP likes XPHOME and the others like WORKGROUP.

do you SEE all system names when opening
My Network Places- Entire Network- MS Network - $workgroup-name​on each system?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-not-sharing-right.57380/
Relevancy 43%

Hi,

I have a cable wireless internet connection at home, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
But when it doesn't work and I try to see what's happening with the internet, I go to Network and Sharing and the page freezes.
Could someone help?
I tried to follow the following steps, but it seems in Systems Tool, I don't get given the Local users.

Could someone help please?

Thnak you

Angy

A:Network and sharing

Originally Posted by angy

Hi,

I have a cable wireless internet connection at home, and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
But when it doesn't work and I try to see what's happening with the internet, I go to Network and Sharing and the page freezes.
Could someone help?
I tried to follow the following steps, but it seems in Systems Tool, I don't get given the Local users.

Could someone help please?

Thnak you

Angy

Angy I would love to but need alot of info abt your comp. OS, and network setup

Ken

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/240845-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 43%

I have laptop and desktop. In order to make taking things from one to the other I have enabled sharing of the Public user documents on both so that they are visable to people on the network. However, they are now just open, and don't have to be logged into. Is there a way to password protect them so they are visible but in order to open them you need a password? I just don't want people who get on the WiFi or others who are here to have access to all my work.

Thanks.

Relevancy 43%

We have 3 computers (two with Win98 & 1 with Win2K) and just purchased a 4th unit (Gateway Pen4 2gig) with Windows 2000. We have all hocked up to a network but the new system will not share with the other Win98 computers. From the new system we can see all the other computers so the network is fine, and the other Win2K can share with the new computer as well but not the Win98's. Instead of asking for a logon and password like the Win2K unit the Win98's get a "Enter Network Password" window that has a Resource:\\PC$ and asks for a Password. We have set up everything under the sharing with the new computer but the 98's cannot get past the "Enter Network Password" window.

Can anyone help,,, Please

A:Network sharing between 2K & 98

So..neither of the Win2k PCs can share with the Win98 machines?

Try these directions: http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/w2kwin9x.htm

Be sure to follow what step 5 says. Good luck!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-sharing-between-2k-98.118460/
Relevancy 43%

Hi I have this kind of problem I bought a new desktop computer with Windows Home Premium I get internet connection with a G USB stick and 3G network Sharing it Sharing 3G network s working fine Now I need to share this connection to my laptop with Windows Vista I m using a Tenda twl r router to do that I ve configured everything to work fine when I connect the laptop to the desktop comp with ethernet cable so I can get online with the laptop through the desktop comp this way But when I use the same cable to connect the desktop comp to the router and try to get a wireless connection from the laptop it doesn t work anymore My network connection properties are like this The G modem properties network tab using only TCP IPv sharing tab selected the Allow other network users to connect through this computer s Internet connection and Enable on-demand dialing The network adapter s TCP IPv properties which shares the connection ip address network mask default gateway empty Sharing 3G network primary dns empty secondary dns empty And on the laptop s wireless network adapter s TCP IPv properties are to Obtain an IP address automatically So what I m doing wrong in here Maybe the router settings I have tried to change those though but without any luck Thanks in advance Sam nbsp

A:Sharing 3G network

My guess is that you do not have the router connected and configured properly. Short story is to connect only to its LAN ports and disable its Dhcp server. Complete procedure follows.

JohnWill's procedure (Aug. 30, 2008) for configuring a secondary router as a switch and, optionally, wireless access point follows.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. [You will not need a cross-over cable if one of the "routers" is a computer.] Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-3g-network.997575/
Relevancy 43%

I have a client NETWORK sharing who has a Linksys N router NETWORK sharing with both wireless and wired settings They NETWORK sharing have computers connected to the router and can all share the Internet perfectly well The computers are mostly running various versions of XP and have different levels of virus scans and firewalls The network is MSHOME The ip address is and all users have ip addresses running from to with most computers connected both wirelessly and wired I ve just added a VISTA Home computer to the network For some reason I can ping the vista computer I can see it but i can t access it I ve turned off all Firewalls all Virus protection all password protection I ve enabled the sharing of the documents and the printers without any requirements I don t understand why I can t access the resources does anyone have any ideas All computers are updated and the firmware on the router is the most updated I chatted with Linksys and they said it should work Thanks Lauren nbsp

A:NETWORK sharing

PC Chuck's Windows XP And Vista On The LAN Together

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-sharing.828568/
Relevancy 43%

i need help on how to get a network sharing tab b/c i dont have one on my properties

A:network sharing tab

What is your OS? Vista or Windows 7?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/network-sharing-tab-415764.html
Relevancy 43%

I have a LAN connection between desktop(XP) and laptop(Vista), since laptop has WiFi and desktop PC doesnt have any internet connection, can I share WiFi to the desktop PC, like tethering with android phone? If I can, how?

A:Network sharing over 2 PCs with LAN

Here's the link you need to review - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Using-ICS-Internet-Connection-Sharing

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-sharing-over-2-pcs-with-lan.181141/
Relevancy 43%

Hello,

I have a laptop running windows Vista Premium and a home computer running Windows XP. I seem to be having a problem accessing my shared folders from my Vista on my XP computer. I go to "My Network Places" in XP" then go to View Workgroup Computers, and I see the icon for my Vista Computer's name. I click on it and it opens a "Connect to (name)" window. It asks for a username and password. I don't know what this is. Where do I find it. Also, is there a way to get rid of that connect to menu popping up evertime I want to access my laptop shared folders. Thank you.

-Tom

You would need to enter a user account info from the Vista machine (either the account you use all the time, or the administrator account). To avoid that, you could map a network drive to the vista computer shared folders. (open cmd prompt and type)
Code:
net use [driveletter of your choice that is not being used e.g. h:\] [\\Vista machine name, or ip address\shared folder name]
Alternatively, you could right click My Computer and select "Map a network drive" for a GUI of the same process.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/network-sharing-214927.html
Relevancy 43%

I turned on network sharing on my computer. when i try to connect to it it asks for a password but i didnt set one

It's likely looking for the admin / primary user account password. (for the target computer, not the one you're trying to connect from.)

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/183415-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 43%

I have a network with 7 computers (USING WORKGROUP). I use one for a "server" and there is one program on it that needs to be accessed from the other computers. I need to map a drive to a certain location on this "server" to run the program. All computers work fine except this laptop. when trying to log into this program with the client, I get the map address and a message that the "server" does not exist. It has to be something with the laptop. Any thoughts.
Thanks
Sailor

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/50554-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 43%

Hi there, need some assistance. I need to share infomation ( client folders) on & business accross a network, problem is, client wants only some people to access certain info, how do I setup this feature. ie shared folder. C:\designs only to be accessed by steve in accounts and lilly on factory floor and no-one else. Been trying for days with only frustration to show for it. 8 XP pc's and " Server" on 7 business
Is this possible?

How, please assist

Thank you

Ant

You could create Groups and add users into them. Then in the permissions of the folder, add those groups...etc

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/64157-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 43%

Someone told me it is possible to enhance the performance of one computer by networking it to another. Is this true?

Relevancy 43%

I have windows 7 pro. I have a internet dongle and a windows 8 mobile. How can I use my dongle internet in laptop to mobile.

Quote: Originally Posted by jakharnaren

I have windows 7 pro. I have a internet dongle and a windows 8 mobile. How can I use my dongle internet in laptop to mobile.

Connectify is made for setting up a hosted wireless network.
Connectify - Turn your PC into a Wi-Fi Hotspot and Get Faster Internet

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/286873-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 43%

This really isn't so much a question about the router. I am currently at school running off their LAN line; I’m taking that line and running it into a router to split the connection. If I share folders they can only be seen by those connected to the router unless I was to plug directly into the schools LAN and share that way. Is there any way I can in a way bypass the router so sharing on the schools LAN is still enabled?

To clear anything up, I want to share on the schools lan while keeping my PC's plugged into the router without having to connect them directly.

A:Network Sharing Dl-524

figured it out... just had to disable dhcp and switch the ethernet cord over same thing you would do if you had to connect 2 routers together.

thanks anyways all

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/138778-network-sharing-dl-524-a.html
Relevancy 43%

hey im trying to share files between 2 computers using "network" in windows explorer. BUT i get these errors:

1. Error 'code: 0x80070035 The network path was not found (i get this when i try to connect from my laptop to my pc)

2. COMPUTERNAME// Not accessible .. ... (i get this when i try to connect from my pc to my laptop)

*In the worst case scenario are there any alternatives like windows explorer network or somethin that will work for me?

Please help me if u can :/ thnx for reading and God bless u

A:Network Sharing Between 2 PC's[Please Help me]

In both PC's Control Panel>Network and Sharing Center>Advanced settings: Turn on File and Printer sharing and Network discovery, Turn off password protected sharing.

It's easiest to just knit them together using Homegroup password from one PC, then rightclick every folder you want shared to Share with Homegroup. Homegroup - Add Computer or Join - Windows 7 Help Forums

To do this only via Network sharing, you'll need to rightclick the folder to Share with Specific People or Everyone, choosing Read or Read/Write permissions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/288141-network-sharing-between-2-pcs-please-help-me.html
Relevancy 43%

My network is showing it is public how do I m?ke it a priv?te network? I appreciate any step by step replies. Thanks in advance!

This will run you through it: Change Network Sharing
Good luck.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/389178-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 43%

Hello this is my first post If I did anything wrong I am very sorry I am setting up a computer as server in my office so certain people in my office can access the shared drive from their own computers and I want to restrict other people from accessing the files on this shared drive I have had this shared drive to everyone with full access and this server computer does have its own login password When I first sharing help on Need network had it setup I remember Need help on network sharing any computer trying to access it require a password credential like this And all the computers I did try to access the server had the quot Remember my credentials quot unchecked However now seems any computers as Need help on network sharing long as it gets connected in our office network can access it without credential anymore I have checked all these computers' credential manager and there is no saved credential at all So where did I do wrong on this

A:Need help on network sharing

Quote: Originally Posted by ilovejdmtoy

Hello, this is my first post. If I did anything wrong, I am very sorry.

I am setting up a computer as server in my office so certain people in my office can access the shared drive from their own computers. (and I want to restrict other people from accessing the files on this shared drive)

I have had this shared drive to everyone with full access and this server computer does have its own login password.

When I first had it setup, I remember any computer trying to access it require a password (credential) like this. And all the computers I did try to access the server had the "Remember my credentials" unchecked.

However now seems any computers as long as it gets connected in our office network can access it without credential anymore.

I have checked all these computers' credential manager, and there is no saved credential at all.

So where did I do wrong on this?

You didn't do anything wrong.

The problem is that once a machine as been accessed using credentials, Windows tends to remember those credentials so you don't have to type them in the next time. I believe there is a local security policy where you can change this behavior so it requires a user name and password to be typed in each time.

There are other ways to share with only certain Users but it involves setting up a Homegroup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/285068-need-help-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 43%

I have my network up, I think. I have two desktops hooked up to to a linksys BESFR41 wired router. Both have access to internet. How do I set up my desktops to share documents and files? In a most simplistic way. Like click here, then click this and type in this and your done. What research I have done, seems to speak to those who know at least a little about it. I know nothing about it. I am doing this all on my own. I would like my desktop to be the host computer. Any body have any step by step instructions that I can't mess up. Thanks.

A:network/sharing

Same workgroup on both
Same subnet network
Same user and password on both
Setup the shares and that username

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/165535-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 43%

On an old computer running XP, I have designated the entire C: drive as being shared. It is "seen" by my other computer running Win 7, and when I doubleclick on the network C: drive, all of its subfolders and files open and are shown by Explorer, as usual. However, when I try to view any of the subfolders, I get an "access not allowed" message.

This is a private network, accessible by me, the administrator. How can I fix this? I was of the understanding that if the root directory was shared, that all of the subdirectories would be shared as well.

Thanks in advance.

A:Network sharing

It's generally bad practice to share the system drive. For one thing the XP All Users folder is already shared by default. Also attempts at modifying system files on the XP machine would likely trigger "file is already in use by another process" errors.

I usually get everything working copying files between the already shared folders. When that works as expected I share other folders. If I want to share the entire drive, say a USB external, I make a folder that contains all other folders, then share it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/325051-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 43%

I have two XP machines. I have an old unreal tournament game. I have installed the game on both machines but they both require the CD. I have seen gaming setups that allow a game cd to be shared via LAN. I tried just sharing the drive and I can see the CD but when I try to play the game on my kids computer I get a no disk error "No Disk in drive D:, Please insert disk" I did a regedit to see if I could find where to point the unreal.exe to my shared drive but no luck . Does anybody know how to share the game, if its even possible.
Thanks for any help,
Jeff

A:sharing a CD rom across the network

You should be able to create a shortcut on your desktop that point to the mapped drive and the excutable file. Reserach something called virtual drives also.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-a-cd-rom-across-the-network.518733/
Relevancy 43%

Hello Sharing Network I am unable to connect to Network Sharing my desktop s shared folders and get the message quot network path not found quot when attempting to go into the desktop The desktop is connected to the router wirelessly a pace wire gateway and wirelessly on the laptop I Network Sharing can see it in the list of devices connected to the gateway as well as the network folder I am unable to ping my desktop from the laptop but i can do so the other way around desktop can ping my laptop This is despite turning off windows firewall on the desktop This started happening right when i got the SP upgrade for the desktop it s a vista system The laptop is a windows computer Prior to this my laptop could access the public folder without a problem Network Sharing on the desktop My android tablet could as well Now it can t With the firewall off I still can t access it The desktop can access everything on my laptop It can access all files on it I have heard that fixing the ping issue is the very first issue that must be addressed Any ideas Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Frosty gt nbstat -n nbstat is not recognized as an internal or external command operable program or batch file C Users Frosty gt nbtstat -n Local Area Connection Node IpAddress Scope Id NetBIOS Local Name Table Name Type Status --------------------------------------------- FROSTY-PC lt gt UNIQUE Registered WORKGROUP lt gt GROUP Registered FROSTY-PC lt gt UNIQUE Registered WORKGROUP lt E gt GROUP Registered WORKGROUP lt D gt UNIQUE Registered MSBROWSE lt gt GROUP Registered C Users Frosty gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Frosty-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List gateway pace com Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix gateway pace com Description Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Physical Address - A- D- - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe d b a c da d Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Wednesday June AM Lease Expires Thursday June AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -F - - C- - A- D- - - DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap gateway wire net Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes All these services are on COM Event System for WZC issues Computer Browser DHCP Client DNS Client Network Connections Network Location Awareness Remote Procedure Call RPC Server TCP IP Netbios helper Wireless Zero Configuration XP wireless configurations only WLAN AutoConfig Vista wireless configurations only Workstation nbsp

Relevancy 43%

Hello and Happy Holidays to Everyone My daughter recently won a MSI- Windows Starter Netbook from her school I got it to connect to my network and surfing the net is fine I have three computers also on the network which are XP versions my desktop is the main server and two other netbooks that are xp as well a Sharing Network for my other daughters I m trying to get the Window to see the other comps but its not bringing them up when I click the quot search quot Sharing a Network link under network sharing center The strangest thing is that I was able to share the printer I have on the network It sees that But it did not pull up the printer when I did the search I had to actually put in the address and printer name then it worked fine I have two folders that I share on the network it won t bring them up in the network group or places Like I said the strangest thing is that when I first got it and did all the network stuff without actually reading about Windows everything worked I could see everything on the network status window NOW I don t know what happen I ve been trying and can t get it to work Can anyone show me the steps on how to properly network windows starter to the other three XP computers Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 43%

I am trying to access files on my desktop computer from my other desktop computer. I can access the files fine going from PC 1 to PC2 but when I go from PC2 to PC1 it pops up with a credentials box and wants a password. Since I never set a password before, and it rarely ever wants this screen anyway, I am not sure how to proceed. Why would it want this screen only occasionally, and how do I disable it completely?

Thanks

Relevancy 42.57%

i need help becos i  cant on my network sharing centre

A:cannot on my network sharing center

Can you provide us with more details? Operating system version, hardware specs, when this begasn, what you were doing just before it began, etc.? It's hard to guess the problem when we know nothing about the system.

Dick

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/569014/cannot-on-my-network-sharing-center/
Relevancy 42.57%

How can I share a folder to a specific pc on a network instead of sharing it to anyone that's inside the same network? I'm on windows 7 64 ultimate and the other pc is using xp 32. Is this possible?

A:Sharing to specific PC on a network?

Quote: Originally Posted by curbb

How can I share a folder to a specific pc on a network instead of sharing it to anyone that's inside the same network? I'm on windows 7 64 ultimate and the other pc is using xp 32. Is this possible?

Sure it is possible and relatively easy if it is a home network. Is it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/157131-sharing-specific-pc-network.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi everybody,
I have a drive on my main PC (D:\) which contains all my videos and music. I would like to be able to share this drive with my laptop so I can watch movies on my laptop without messing around with USB drives, but I can't find a clear guide anywhere. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
Cheers

A:Sharing a drive over a network

\\computername\d$ would be the share name, but this is for administrative purposes.

Is your Media organised into folders?
It would be better and more secure to share the folders you need access to rather than the entire drive.

To browse a share by UNC path you could type the UNC Path into your address bar of any explorer window, e.g. \\computername\sharename

If you want to see a list of the folders the remote computer is sharing just browse to \\computername

If you wish to map a network drive to the share Right Click the Computer icon and from the menu select Map Network Drive
In the window that pops up, select an available drive letter and then type in the UNC path of the share you wish to connect to.

Hope that helps

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/248808-sharing-drive-over-network.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I have vista HP and have a few home notepads and PC's Network Folders Sharing mainly running W I have the main pc on cable to a router BT Homehub bringing the internet in All remote stations work wireless through the 'setup a wireless network' using the usb I added folders from the Main pc using 'MUSIC' for example and Network Sharing Folders set up sharing properties and unlocked all permissions Done this a few weeks back and all works However any new files added to these folders cannot be seen in the network I deleted network and sharing and rerun the process using usb but still could only see the odler files I manually added a sub folder and sharing permissions which then showed as a seperate network folder but when clicked it said you do not have the rights even though all permissions were unlocked Thus I am stumped how can I get folders to auto refresh so new files are instantly available and why canot view some folders when all permissions are unlocked many thanks in advance

A:Network Sharing Folders

Hi neil2jo,

When setting sharing for the new folders, I'd wager you get access denied when trying to set Advanced Sharing as well. I discovered the same problem on my system. Right click on the folder being shared (with access denied) and click on properties and then click on Security. Then click on advanced and check the special permissions to see if Everyone has Deny access set (I'll bet it does) - there's probably one that says Deny and one that says Allow. If so, that Deny is overriding everything else. Select that entry and delete it. You should now have access to the folders and should also be able to set advanced sharing for everyone and that should take care of that problem.

If you fix that sharing problem for all the other shared folders (and set advanced sharing), I suspect the new files will show up just fine and be shared (but I'm not certain - that may be something else - though it's worth a try).

I hope this helps.

Good luck!

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/286167-network-sharing-folders.html
Relevancy 42.57%

ok, i have 2 computers, one has windows 7 x64 the other x32. the x64 iz the one i wanna share. on the x64 i have wireless coming in and want to share it from the wired coming out the back, it iz gigabit but the x32 iz not. idk what other info u need. i tried searching the forums but i didn't see no help
please help

A:crossover network sharing

Quote: Originally Posted by Fozzy1990

ok, i have 2 computers, one has windows 7 x64 the other x32. the x64 iz the one i wanna share. on the x64 i have wireless coming in and want to share it from the wired coming out the back, it iz gigabit but the x32 iz not. idk what other info u need. i tried searching the forums but i didn't see no help
please help

Easy go into network and sharing, shift click on the two service (wifi and lan) RIGHT CLICK and bridge them. It should then work
Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/161768-crossover-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Hello,

i have network of computers which are currently running windows 10 and they are connected to work group and i can able to share files to and from the other computers connected via network. Now i have a older pc which is new addition to the network running windows xp sp3 and this pc also needs to be connected to the network but i am unable to see other windows 10 pc on network places and also unable to see xp on windows 10 network. Both windows 10 and xp runs on same workgroup name: Workgroup and no domain. Any help in connecting windows xp to network i am eagerly waiting to have a hands on xp which i love the best as xp is my first pc.... cheerss!!!!!

A:Network Sharing xp to windows 10

FWIW:  http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/2129-sharing-files-windows-10-windows-xp.html

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/628924/network-sharing-xp-to-windows-10/
Relevancy 42.57%

i have quite a few computers at my house, my laptop is connected through my wireless router and the pcs are connected to the router by ethernet .... i just have a few questions

i have set certain folders on various computers to be shared on the network ( sharing and security).... they dont always show up on other computers, or they will be there then dissapear ... does anyone know how to fix this?

also does anyone know how i could make it so i could connect to the computer upstars from downstaris? like at school or work where you have a a user name and it connects to your user whereever you are? does any one know what this network is called so i can google it , or know how i can create one?

thanks you in advance lewis

A:sharing files and other network help

also does anyone know how i could make it so i could connect to the computer upstars from downstaris? like at school or work where you have a a user name and it connects to your user whereever you are? does any one know what this network is called so i can google it , or know how i can create one?Click to expand...

I think your talking about roaming profiles and this is something that comes up with a domain setup (not a home workgroup) usually you log into the domain and the computer contacts the server in order to get the informatuion from it.

The other way is use something called VNC or Terminal services (is using XP pro) to connect to another PC even though your sitting at a different PC. this will not have lal your information on the one PC your sitting at but the VNC will let you remotely manage the other PC.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-files-and-other-network-help.478936/
Relevancy 42.57%

Hey guys,

I'm trying to set up an ad hoc network. I finally got it to work (after reactivating some services I'd thought were useless) and got an ipod touch connected to it. I'm connected to the internet through my university network. I want to share internet on my ad hoc network, so I enable internet sharing and choose to share my local area connection. As soon as I do that, the LAN becomes unidentified and I lose internet on my computer. I could never get it on the ipod.
I'm running windows 7 on a toshiba satellite.
By now the things I'm trying to find out are too lengthy to explain to google so I came here.

A:Ad Hoc Network Internet Sharing

It could be that the University network is sensing this and doesn't allow for it.
It may be best to talk with the University help desk. I don't see whty it would be a problem and it may just need a quick setting from them to allow it.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/ad-hoc-network-internet-sharing-553627.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi there, I would like to know is it possible to connect pc's on different wireless network, I have wireless internet at my office and home, i would like to connect to my pc at the office remotely to access the files and sync it with my laptop
2) i would also like to connect to another pc remotely at a different location to allow file sharing and syncing of files to laptop

A:network and file sharing

First, make sure you're allowed to remotely access your work computer and install software on it.

For remote access, use LogMeIn.
https://secure.logmein.com/

For file syncing, use Dropbox.
http://www.dropbox.com

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-and-file-sharing.1040173/
Relevancy 42.57%

I posted this in general, but it does not appear there so I am posting it here too.

I have a desktop PC with VISTA and a laptop with VISTA. The DT is connected to a router via a cable. The laptop is connected to the router via wireless. I have set all permissions that I can find and share wherever I can find. I can't access files on either PC from either PC. I get the message "Windows can not access \\Lu-PC\C" or what ever folder I try to access. I can get into the folder called "public", but my files are not in that folder on either PC. The permissions for Lu-PC\C is everyone full control, change and read. Please help, TeamanFL

A:Network sharing permissions

hi eamanFL,

Can you please provide with more information as to on the laptop and pcs what is the ip address range your using. also make sure you can ping from the laptop to the pc. can you please first tell me this information ping the pc from the laptop. If the ping doesnt not ive u a reply then you need to check your setting on the router and the pcs and laptop.

Hope this helps

Cheers !!!!

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/215175-network-sharing-permissions.html
Relevancy 42.57%

OK I have main PC office PC On that network sharing selective on PC is basically everything music pics videos etc It is the primary computer but I also have a laptop and a tablet that access selective sharing on network that data too selective sharing on network I need want full access to everything on the office-PC read write no problem easily done and I have had no issues currently until today bit win system My daughter saved up and purchased a netbook Morgan-Netbook OS win starter I got her on the network and when connected it asked about homegroup so I said yes and now I see her and she sees me BUT she has full read write access to everything on the PC I can access everything I would expect via the homegroup but then under the quot network quot icon I can see all my shared folders and she has way more access I would like her to have READ access to pics videos and specific folders but not necessarily everything else I have tried adding her as a user in the sharing permissions but my Office PC only wants to see LOCATION as quot office-PC quot so I cannot choose her from a list to restrict her access specifically If I limit the access globally then I lose it for me as well I have toyed with homegroup privs but they seem to be all homegroup users I'd love to say homegroup morgan-netbook and limit it that way but it doesn't seem to work How do I limit access to just her so that she can see the folders we want but she only has READ access thanks Shawn

A:selective sharing on network

HI Docthomas,

this link should help you

File sharing essentials

Cheers !!

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/184861-selective-sharing-network.html
Relevancy 42.57%

hey guys
problem with network sharing i have windows 7 64bit starter version

and i set up a ad hoc but the " turn on network sharing " doesn't shows!

+

and another problem when i enter name and password and next it say's that network connot set up !!

i wenna share my network in the pc to my iphone with wifi
and i have wifi cart in my hp probook 4520s

A:problem with network sharing

Hi

Can we have some more information....

I assume that you have a wireless router? If so, which one?
Does this have any security enabled?

Regards
UKMedia

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/183739-problem-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Does anyone know if there is a way to setup a log that shows what people have downloaded from my local network, and what their computer name is? It isn't a big deal, but would be kind of nice to see what certain people wanted.

A:Log for local network sharing

I think you should find an app from Network Information Tools - TotalShareware Software Archive

If you want to go overkill - check out the ultimate network analyzer: The Ethereal Network Analyzer. I was quite amazed of how much information is being transferred all the time on LAN.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/log-for-local-network-sharing.2785/
Relevancy 42.57%

My work computer was connect to a different ADSL connection last night and now that it is back to my work I am unable to share the network. Please help ASAP

A:Lost Network Sharing

What do you mean by "share the network"? Internet Connection Sharing (ICS)?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lost-network-sharing.1147527/
Relevancy 42.57%

I have 4 PCs on my network and all with Win 8 Pro installed. All have the same workgroup and are included in the same HomeGroup. Three of them have my user name and password for login and the fourth has another user and PW as login. Both users have Windows accounts (Hotmail) as their login accounts. One of the PCs I use as a server for all our data, pix, downloads, etc. The PCs with my login, including the server, can log onto the other PCs without using a PW, including the PC with the other user name. The PC with the other username cannot log onto any of the other 3 without a username & password. On that machine I can log onto the server by entering my username and PW when I try to access it, but can't use the username of that PC.

A:File sharing on network

I am assuming you want to share the contents of your user folders across the machines. If not, then modify what I say accordingly. I'd start by making sure password protected sharing is not enabled on any machine. Next, I would (1) be sure that all the checkbox items available in HomeGroup are shared on each computer (or modify accordingly) and (2) share any other folders you want to share by right clicking on the folder to be shared and selecting "Share with" HomeGroup (Note that you may not have to share the Users folder; it appears typically to be shared with "Everyone" default in Win8). At this point, I'd restart all the machines and see how everything is working. If things aren't satisfactory, then I'd examine the sharing/security settings for the machines that are working properly and set the setting on the machines that are not working satisfactorily analogously--and restart all the machines again. If you still have disliked peculiarities, then I'd live with them. Also, after the second restart, you might just use the machines for a while before spending more time trying to get things exactly as you want them. Things can change unexpectedly after a little time elapses. Oh, and make sure that your network is shown as a Private network on each computer.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/15022-file-sharing-network.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I am unable to access network shared documents and programs on Windows 7... the problem is more that I am simply unsure of how to proceed more than some sort of hardware or software problem. If someone could explain to me how to veiw/access these files, that would be great.

A:Network sharing on Windows 7

Click on Start - Network (or on Network in the Navigation pane in Windows Explorer). Devices with shared folders/files should appear there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-sharing-on-windows-7.1057750/
Relevancy 42.57%

I wish to have Network sharing on so that I can use the printer to print documents on my mums network printer. I do not wish however for any of my personal files to be accessable from any other computer on the network., not even some folders that require a password.

How can I set this up please?

A:Selfish Network Sharing

Ideally,, thename of my PC wouldn't even show when other people look under their network folder, but I could still print to the netrk computer. Doable?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/selfish-network-sharing.1168017/
Relevancy 42.57%

You just have to love it!

I now finally have a use for The Olde Shuttle XPC in the living room. Now it's not just a big mess of switching the external harddrive back and forth between the two computers, but now the sharing options work, and I have to say they far exceed my expectations.

Sharing is made so much easier with the Homegroups, and it is a pure breeze setting it up.

A:Windows 7 Network and Sharing

instead of starting a new thread, ill continue on in here..
network sharing in windows 7 can be rough to set up.
sharing on the homegroup is annoying aswell. i set things to share and they dont show up on other computers.
only thing i could do was jam files in the public folders which defeated my point of trying to share a folder directly.
i still cant manage to get this working. any ideas?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/2426-windows-7-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Is there anyone who could help me with this

I've bought an aver revo pc to use as a media centre and have installed xmbc in it

My problem is even though I have specified which files I want to share over the network I'm getting an error asking for a user name and password on the revo

It looks like my windows 7 pc has some sort of password on my files??

Is there any way to make sure I can share all my files with no restriction on them?

A:File sharing over network help

Go in Network and Sharing Center, on the top left, select 'Change Advanced Sharing settings'.
You will find a setting to turn off password protected sharing...

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/134627-file-sharing-over-network-help.html
Relevancy 42.57%

i have a Dlink 524 router connected to a desktop through a cable (windows xp) and i enabled simple sharing this pc has an administrator account only (guest not active)

and on the 2nd pc (laptop) i have windows xp connected through wireless i have also enabled simple file sharing but the problem is that i can see the other pc in the workgroup but i can't access the default share C$

When i try to do it \\pcname\C$ i have no authentification for the username & password , i only get the authentification of the guest account which is not active

Relevancy 42.57%

Is there a way to install programs on one pc then run them from multiple pcs on the same network

A:Sharing programs over a network

Not directly. You can use a remote console utility to run some application, obviously not graphic intensive ones.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-programs-over-a-network.888895/
Relevancy 42.57%

Hello,

I would like to know the steps on sharing my printer with my computers. First of all I have two desktops on my 2WIRE wireless modem. The second desktop is wired to the modem to gain access to the internet. Now I have 2 additional HP mini netbooks that I want to share my printer with my daughters. Both of them are connected wireless. So with that said all four computers are connected to the interner without any problems. I just want to share my one printer with all four comps so I won't have to buy another printer.

So do anyone have the steps so I can chare the printer? And do all comps. have to have the drivers on them to work? If so the 2 mini netbooks don't have cdrom drives. How will I put them on there?

A:Sharing a printer on network

Here are the steps for sharing a printer:

To share the printer, opene the Printers and Faxes folder on the computer that is connected to the printer.

To open the Printers and Faxes folder

Click Start and then click Control Panel.

Click Printers and Other Hardware, and then click Printers and Faxes.
In the Printers and Faxes folder, click the printer's icon and, in the tasks pane, click Share This Printer.

Open the printer's Properties dialog box, and clicked on the Sharing tab.

Click Share Name, and then click OK.

That's it—the printer is available for other computers to use.

To connect to the printer and print from other computers on the network:

To connect to the printer
Open Control Panel, and click Printers and Other Hardware

Click Add a Printer.

Instead of adding a local printer, though, click Printer Connection and then browsed the network for the printer.

As far as will you need the drivers for the printer on the other computers, I am fairly certain that the answer is yes. Since you do not have an optical drive on the netbooks, a possible solution would be to go the printer manufacturer's web page (using the netbooks to get to the Internet) and download the drivers from there.

If you already have file sharing on your network, you might also try installing the drivers over your network from the computer that already has them installed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-a-printer-on-network.888818/
Relevancy 42.57%

I'm new to all this, so here goes. I have a Compaq 6400 running XP that is wired with a HP832C printer. I have a laptop HP dv9206 running Vista. Both computers share internet via Linsky WRT54GS router. My guestion is how can I share the Printer. Do I need to purchase something else? I did the Network wizard on the XP, sharing. workgroup names and all that. I'm lost on the Vista network set up. Can anyone direct me?

Relevancy 42.57%

I have a local area network of 4 computers. Two have wireless cards. All can access the internet with no problem. One wireless Sony laptop is the problem It can see all the computers and their shared drives but when any of the other computers attempt to access the Sony, they receive a message that "Sony is not accessable, etc". All computers are in the same workgroup, all are properly named, all have sharing set up correctly and there are no active firewall other than the internet connection. This problem occurred after resizing the partitions using Partition Magic. Doe anybody have a cure or encountered a similar problem after using Partition Magic?

A:Network sharing problem

This won't exactly fix your problem, but you can try to browse by their local IP instead of the computer name. Like \\192.168.x.x instead of \\sony. I would try that first as it is a temporary solution, but it should work nonetheless.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-sharing-problem.17658/
Relevancy 42.57%

How can I disable network file sharing.

A:Disable Network Sharing

yousaf465:

Got to Control Panel/Local Area Connection/Properties

Uncheck: File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks

In fact, the only thing you need to have checked is: Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)

The rest aren't needed on a stand-alone computer.
---
The Client is only needed if you're on a network.
QoS is only useful on large networks.
Link Layers are only needed if you're going to be connecting to non-Windows 7 computers.
IPv6 can be left checked if you like, but I don't think it's being used at the moment.
---

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/127710-disable-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi, i was wondering if someone could tell me how do i set up a connection between 2 PC's that are hooked up using a modem/router a 2WIRE white box and how do i do it so i can transfer music,pictures and like microsoft projects to the other using this connection , if possible. They both work on the same internet and work on ethernet wires. This is my 2nd post but the last one gave me too little deatial. Thank You for taking the Time =]

A:Sharing network and files

If you had replied to JW's question on the last one you would have gotten plenty of help.

http://forums.techguy.org/networking/645720-how-do-i-connect-my.html#post5276725

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sharing-network-and-files.646619/
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi Guys,

I'm having difficulties hooking up my printer to our home network. I've never had problems with this before, so it must be something to do with the computer I currently have it hooked up to.

Based on my apartment setup, its not convenient to have the printer (hp laserjet 1020) hooked up to my pc, so i have it hooked up to my girlfriend's laptop in the hall. We are both running Windows 7, I have enabled sharing of printers, as well as shared the specific device. We are both on the same homegroup as far as I can tell, yet i still can't find the printer. I suspect her computer is on a school domain, but I cant be sure, and this may be the problem. Anyone have ideas?

Thanks

df

A:Sharing a Printer on a Network

You need to see what network and domain her PC is on and see if the printer is on it as well when her laptop is running for you to see it, the shares must be done while it is attached to your network. If this is impossible you might want to invest in a network print device which will attach to the router and allow you to share it that way w/o her laptop or your PC being on for either of you to use it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/113913-sharing-printer-network.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Well I've spent several hours trying to get my network sharing to work But it brought be nothing but grief Here Problems sharing? network with is a list of many specific problem messages I am Problems with network sharing? getting maybe some of you can make heads or tails of it When I try to connect my printer hooked up to my desktop via USB to my laptop via wireless network sharing I get this message quot Samsung CLP- Series Installer cannot connect to HaroldIII-PC CLP- Either the printer name was typed incorrectly or the specified printer has lost its connection to the server quot -Keep in mind that my printer has been on this whole time and I can print from my desktop whenever I want I also changed my printer's sharing name and followed instructions on how to enter the correct network address for my printer -The printer's settings are also set on quot shared quot When I try to connect to my desktop via my laptop I get this message quot Network Error Windows cannot access HAROLDIII-PC Check the spelling of the name Otherwise there might be a problem with your network To try to identify and resolve network problems click Diagnose quot -The same message appears when I try to access quot HAROLDIII-LAPTO quot from my desktop The only thing I can think of is maybe my network sharing settings are screwed up Here they are -Both Turn ON network discovery -Both Turn ON file and printer sharing -Both Turn ON sharing so anyone with -Media Streaming OFF on desktop ON on laptop -Both Use bit encryption -Both Turn ON password protection sharing -Both Allow Windows to manage homegroup connections Anything else you guys need to solve the problem please let me know

A:Problems with network sharing?

#1 Seems that Windows 7 does not share USB printers well.

My suggestion as I have given in other threads is to purchase a USB to Network device and put the printer on the network directly. Then all machines can print to it, plus you don't have to leave the desktop machine to print. This seems to work the best and will give you the least headaches.

#2 Try turning off the firewall and retesting.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/114254-problems-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi,

One of the 3 computers on our network, a laptop, has two folders saved in our Shared Documents file that contain images done in Adobe that I cannot access. I can open the folders but clicking or Opening the selected image receives a "Can't Read" with items in one folder and a "Cant access" with reference to the network in the other. I can access other folders and items in the Shared Doc. folder and view images and documents with no problem. Is this a network problem or something in the way the items in the two folders were saved - the path Seems the same as the ones I can read and older of the two folders of images was fine in the recent past. One might say, something happend.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Relevancy 42.57%

I recently installed a new wireless router, and my network seems to have gone haywire. I have a printer hooked up to my computer - a Dell running XP, and my wife has a HP - running Vista. Her computer sees my computer on the network - but when we click on it, it says unauthorized access, etc. We need to reinstall the printer onto her computer so she can connect to it via mine.

My router is a linksys wireless broadband router.

I've checked all the settings, the workgroup name is Roffe - and all computers show this. What should I do?

Relevancy 42.57%

Hi All Thanks for reading here is my question I have a TV PC downstairs with windows XP x on it Since the wireless router is so close to it I have a hard-lined ethernet connection to it Upstairs I have my main PC which has Windows x All of my files are located on the Win machine what I'm trying to do is make it to where I can share certain folders so and XP 7 Network sharing between files I can access them from downstairs When I go to my computer from my win computer in the network places it shows my TVPc but I cannot access it When I get on my xp PC I cannot see my win pc in network places Note I have network discovery turned on in public under my network settings I also have a Network sharing files between XP and 7 homegroup set up on my win machine but the xp machine doesn't see that to connect to either Do I need to set up an ad-hoc wireless network or is there a simpler way of doing this I'm kind of stumped Network sharing files between XP and 7 and figured it's probably something easy I'm just not quite sure which direction to go in Any advice would be much appreciated

A:Network sharing files between XP and 7

Unless you have another Windows 7 machine you won't be able to use Homegroups so you should first leave the Homegroup from the Windows 7 machine. Homegroup - Leave

After that set up a workgroup from the Windows 7 machine first.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...te-a-workgroup

Once you create the Workgroup on the Win 7 machine you should run the network set up wizard from the XP machine and be sure and use the same workgroup name as you used to set up the Windows 7 workgroup.

Use the tutorial below to help you set up your network.
Sharing files and printers with different versions of Windows - Help & How-to - Microsoft Windows

To set up permissions for everyone you need to add "Everyone" to the "share with" list.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...rmissions.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/92160-network-sharing-files-between-xp-7-a.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I have a 2nd hand compaq CQ100EM with Vista home basic 32bit, which won't recognise my PS3. I've tried everything and I'm at my wits end!! my goal is to eventually share my internet connection (which is 3g USB modem) via crossover ethernet cable, I keep getting won't enable internet connection error (null). I would be very greatful to anyone who can solve this fraustrating issue

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/262769-help-having-network-sharing-issues.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi. Can anyone tell me how to share my program files folder over my home network?

A:Sharing Folders Over A Network

Hi glynnmania

Welcome to BleepingComputer

You could try rightclicking on the folder you want to share, select properties and the Sharing tab.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/101056/sharing-folders-over-a-network/
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi dears.
I have a small problem with my network and sharing center.
The problem is that it takes maybe more than 2 minutes to open it. I mean when i click on Network and Sharing center in the control panel or i click on the network icon in my task bar, it takes minutes!! to open.
I was told it may solved with installing the network driver but i got the latest one from the net but it didn't differ.
Please help.

A:Network and sharing problem

How many objects are tied in to your network?

This could help:

Windows 7 Network Slow - 6 Easy Ways to Make it Fast

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/144925-network-sharing-problem.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I have a Home Made XP Desktop and have had it for about years now Works well and have never had any major problems with it I recently bought a Vista Laptop and I am trying to make it accessable Vista/ Network Sharing XP over the network I want to be able to pull things off my laptop to my desktop or watch a movie from my desktop bigger sceen and better sound that on my laptop I have tried everything i can to make my laptop grant my desktop access to my files but i cant seem to get it to work If i go to My Network on my desktop the shared places on my Laptop are there but when i try to open it an error message pops up saying quot locaion is not Accessible you might not have premission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission Access is Denied quot it seems stange to me but i can access everything from my desktop on my laptop no problem at all Any help would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 42.57%

Recently I purchased a new Desktop, running W7 HP 64bit.
I have an external hard drive plugged into that desktop and I want to share the files on it across the network, primarily to my laptop using the same version of windows.

I have the same work group for both, same network and neither computer shows up on each others' network locations.

Though for both my xbox 360, when on does show up on both.

Im not running any third party firewalls.
Network sharing and discovery are both on.

I've also tried using the homegroup feature with no luck on either end.
Something is blocking both or one the computers to communicate (probably the new one)
I used to run workgroup with my previous desktop running xp, and it worked fine.

Help, solutions, suggestions?
Thanks

A:Network Sharing Issue

Hi ShadowFactoryX and Welcome to SF,

Verify that all your Network Services are Started from Control Panel=> Performance and Maintenance=> Admin Tools=> Services:
• COM+ Event System (for WZC issues)
• Computer Browser
• DHCP Client
• DNS Client
• Network Connections
• Network Location Awareness
• Remote Procedure Call (RPC)
• Server
• TCP/IP Netbios helper
• Wireless Zero Configuration ( XP wireless configurations only)
• WLAN AutoConfig ( Vista wireless configurations only)
• Workstation

Also, create an Identical User Account on all your of your computers in your Network.

If you're using the Windows built-in Firewall, make sure that Files and Printer sharing is Excluded.

Verify that Netbios is enabled on all the computers in your Network.
Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP ? TTC Shelbyville – Technical Blog

Disable Password Protected Sharing.
Disable Password Protected Sharing — MAXIMUMpcguides – Windows 7 tips, tricks, help, and how-to guides

Please post an update.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/141419-network-sharing-issue.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I have an old Dell Dimension 3000 running XP, a Dell Inspiron 1525 laptop running Vista and now an Acer Aspire AS5738PG-6306 notebook running 7 and I want to be able to network all of them together over our FiOS wireless internet so that everybody can use our ONE printer, a Dell AIO 922.

Problem is I do not know if Vista and 7 can communicate with XP like this and since our printer is six years old, it does not support wireless so I NEED that XP desktop to manage this, but that means if XP and Vista and 7 cannot communicate together, this won?t work.

So, if this is possible I would really appreciate a point to the right direction on this (preferably with detailed instructions).

Thank you in advance!

A:Network Sharing with XP, Vista and 7?

Should be no problem in networking the three systems here

first
make sure that all are on the same ip subnet
All are in the same workgroup
the same usernames are present on all systems
file and printer sharing are on on all systems
network discovery on for all systems

then

share the printer on the xp system - using advanced sharing andset permissions to everyone

Also

you may need to add the vista/win7 drivers in the additional drivers section of the xp printer setup or install them on the relevent machines and point the port to the XP machine

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/63049-network-sharing-xp-vista-7-a.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Trying to share the drive with my other laptop on my network. I can go all the way into the share file after right clicking the drive and share but the box pops and I'm not able to click the share in that box. Help ?!?

Relevancy 42.57%

How can I enable Windows Network Sharing to allow guests to connect without entering a password?

Can I give guest read only rights while giving specific accounts read/write rights?

A:Guest Network Sharing

Hey, I have this same problem. Did you ever get a resolution?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/11704-guest-network-sharing.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I have already posted this in the Widows 7 section without any luck so decided to post it here also.

As shown in the picture below, the connection to my home network is not showing up in Network and Sharing Center. In wireless network connection it says im not connected..but im connected to my router..Please any help to resolve this issue is greatly appreciated.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 42 Stepping 7
Processor Count: 4
RAM: 3979 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000, 1797 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 303743 MB, Free - 121344 MB;
Motherboard: LENOVO, 4286CTO
Antivirus: Panda Cloud Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

A:Network and Sharing Center

but im connected to my routerClick to expand...

and is everything working OK ?
just the information thats incorrect

can we see an ipconfig /all
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply
Note: you will see entries named Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface: we dont need to see that information - JUST the infomation above those entries

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

This should work for all windows version, XP, Vista, W7
Hold the Windows key and press R
For Windows 8
to open a Cmd Prompt or an Administrator Cmd prompt from the Desktop. Use Win + X and choose Command Prompt or Command Prompt (Admin) from the list.

then type CMD

then press Enter to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-and-sharing-center.1089269/
Relevancy 42.57%

i have been using vista home premium on my pc for few years with no real problems. I recently added a windows xp home edition pc to my network and now my vista pc wouldn't work! It loads up ok but sits on the egg timer when i try to open anything. Is it possible that if i hadn't set the network up correctly it would cause vista not to run correctly? Secondly i downloaded a free tool from internet onto the vista pc on the same day I connected the xp pc so its possible it may have been infected although my security is very good (I have McAfee installed on all comps)? xp works fine as does my windows 7 laptop. Can't run security scan as cant get into safe mode and dont know were to go now??! HELP!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-sharing-vista-and-xp.945265/
Relevancy 42.57%

Good day,

i downloaded Google drive to my computer, now i want this folder to be shared to the rest of the people working with me. i did share the file but it won't open on the other people's side. it gives an error message stating "you don't have permission to open the folder"

Could you please assist.

A:Document Sharing on a Network

Check out this link:

http://gappstips.com/docs-tips/view/98/protect-your-google-drive-folders-by-setting-permissions

I think this part should help:

"A folder permission is set exactly like a document permission. Select the folder in Google Drive/Doc view and choose More --> Share. Under Who has access set the Edit / View permissions, and add any individuals or groups you need."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/document-sharing-on-a-network.1104478/
Relevancy 42.57%

Hey all,

I seriously need help with this issue I have in hand. I have set up a network in my office between a few computers. However, there are some files and folders which I do not wish to share with everyone in the network. Is it possible to only assign the access to a sharing folder to only one other computer in the same network?

Wes

Relevancy 42.57%

I have 2 computers networked through a router. I would like to use one of my two computers as an MP3 player with the sound card connected to my stereo. I will access the files through the network. (I only have one monitor) I was told I could share the MP3 player application through my LAN. I do not know how I can select the MP3 on one computer and output through the sound card on the other into the stereo.

A:Help! application sharing over a network

First, you need the application to play the MP3's on the PC with the sound card. Set up file and printer sharing on the PC with the files on it. can you see resources form both computers when looking in Network Neighborhood?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-application-sharing-over-a-network.56719/
Relevancy 42.57%

I have right-clicked a folder, selected "Share With" then "Share".

I have right-clicked a folder, selected "Share With" then "Specific people" then added "Everyone".

My computer name shows up as a list item on the left panel but does not show up as an Icon in the Main Screen.

My other computers on the network do not show the Icon or the left panel entry.

What am I forgetting?

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/62623-sharing-folder-network.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I have a home network with 2 desktops connected. 1 running XP Pro the other running Vista Ultimate.

I am trying to set up file and printer sharing, but the Vista machine can not see the XP one, or the network printer.

The printer is connected to the XP machine. The network groups are the same, but I can not see the pc or the printer.

Confused.com

A:Network sharing between Vista and XP Pro

Have you tried doing the other way..? viewing the vista from xp?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/182472-network-sharing-between-vista-xp-pro.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I have 3 computer(mine,mum and bro) all running on window 7 and connected to the same workgroup.
i would like to make all d drive public.. however photo folder i wan access to mum and video folder access to bro.

A:need help on file sharing on a network

Setup Homegroup

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/278951-need-help-file-sharing-network.html