Windows Support Forum

Local printing through VPN

Q: Local printing through VPN

Hi there I am new to this forum though I have went through a couple of threads regarding VPN but I can t seem to find my answer through printing VPN Local I work in an IT department and have to users which are not on the business domain To make use of a program hosted on our server they connect via VPN to out network and then join a remote desktop Both of them make use of a network printer Now one of them has a PC with Win and the other one with XP When they connect to the VPN though only the user on the Win PC is allowed to print the other user Local printing through VPN s job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints Both user Local printing through VPN s VPN permissions are the same as I asked the network admin and the printer settings should be the same on both PCs as I checked them Help would be greatly appreciated as I have been working on this for a very long time with no avail Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Local printing through VPN

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Local printing through VPN

the other user's job only goes into the print queue and he has to disconnect from the VPN and then it prints.Click to expand...

Wow, is that strange or what (but that's why your here too I guess). The fact that it is queued says the data path from the user->system->print queue is just fine - - and that says permissions are ok. I suspect that the users program is not closing the output file. Have the user try a simple test using NOTEPAD printing to the remote printer.

Next I would look for software updates to the XP VPN software and then to XP print driver for that device.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-printing-through-vpn.189640/
Relevancy 52.89%

I connect to work through a Cisco VPN. My home office has a broadband router with two computers and a network printer. I can print from either computer as long as I am not connected to the VPN. However, I would like to be able to print when I am connected to the VPN.

I have enabled Local Lan Access on my VPN settings, but once connected the Properties window says that Local LAN access is disabled.

Any suggestions as to how to configure my system so I can print on my network printer while remaining connected to the VPN?

Thanks!

A:Local network printing with a VPN

Are you using a VPN client to connect to the system? That would complicate matters, a lot.

I'm using a VPN here, with a Cisco router. However, to "log on" to the VPN I just use the Windows logon system with my username/password. I just had to add my network printer (HP LaserJet 6 on a DLink server) to the system as a local administrator, and it was available and working under the VPN account.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/local-network-printing-with-a-vpn.14535/
Relevancy 52.89%

Hi-

I am hoping someone has run across this and can offer some advice
My printing worked fine up till a few weeks ago.
I have removed and unintalled the printers, drivers and packages.
Rebooted my laptop
Went to vendor website and downloaded latest drivers
Installed printer first as local LPT1 with the latest drivers from previous step
added port, a TCP/IP port and provided the static IP address reserved for this printer.

When I try to print a test page it sends to printer and after about a minute the print queue
will show "error printing" and that is it.

Print spooler is set to automatic and started
no other jobs are in print queue at time I send the test page

Thanks in advance for any help, tom

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/385393-printing-local-network.html
Relevancy 52.89%

I have VISTA and an HP Photosmart printer. I have tried everything to print locally while using Remote Desktop. Does anyone have any suggestions?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-printing-problem.833600/
Relevancy 52.03%

My Accountant is currently having problems printing. She is accessing our accounting software on our Win 2003 Server Machine. She needs to print to her local printer while accessing our server from her XP machine using Remote Desktop.

She has a local printer connect via USB.

We have installed her printer driver on our 2003 server.

I did the regedit Dword FFFFFFFF trick to redirect the printers, but we still cannot get a printout locally.
Any ideas, or resources we should try? Any help would be appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-printing-with-remote-desktop.383213/
Relevancy 52.03%

I am desperate!! I am working from home via remote desktop, and need to print my reports on the local printer here. However, all 3 of my printers have usb connections, and the remote desktop link does not recognize them. Any time I print it goes to the default printer for the server in my office 10 miles away! 2 of the printers are all-in-one printers and one is printer only....I can however, print w/an old parallel port printer, but the quality is poor. What am I missing? How can a SAP or SAP pro supported program like remote desktop only have the capability to use an ancient printer?
Please-anybody-HELP!

A:Local Printing W/remote Desktop

Have you thought about using a print server for your printer? This would make them available to the entire LAN\intranet.USB Print ServerWireless USB3 port USB Server

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/52181/local-printing-wremote-desktop/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have a network printer and two pc's connected to my router. One of those two pc's is my work notebook that connects to our corporate network via vpn. Is there a way I can print to my home network printer while on vpn on my notebook? I'm learning that the vpn creates a direct connection and it's just passed through the router, so the only way I can print is if I connect that printer directly to the notebook via usb. Is that correct or does anyone know how to keep my printer on my home network but still print while on vpn?

Thanks!

Relevancy 52.03%

i'm connecting an external PC to a PC within my company to use a specific application and need to setup printing so that when connected to the company PC application i will be able to print reports from it onto the local PC?

can someone please explain to me how best this can be done?

thanks a lot

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/terminal-services-local-printing-434486.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I am having difficulty printing ( actually find it impossible ) from my HP 700 series. Have installed all I had to install and also gone through the Support process with no success.

A:Having problems printing from local printer, online and off.

Do you have ANY communication with the printer??(Test page??)
What is the exact error msg (if any)??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/having-problems-printing-from-local-printer-online-and-off.223345/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello all and thank you for reading my post. I have a user at home who access' our terminal server and wants to print to her home printer. I was able to find the drivers, add it as a local printer, and assign it the correct TS Port. This works great until she logs off the TS and back on. When this happens, the TS Port for her printer changes. I do not want to give her admin rights so that she can go in and change the port everytime, and this would also be an inconvinience to the user. So I'm hoping there is a way to set the printer TS Port to static, so it remains the same everytime. Or any other workarounds would be helpful!

Thanks,

-Dlaw

Edit:
Kodak Easy Share 5500
Windows Server 2003 R2 SP2

A:Troubles printing local from terminal server

Anyone?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/troubles-printing-local-from-terminal-server.1039992/
Relevancy 51.6%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Pentium R Dual-Core CPU T GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Mobile Intel R Series Express Chipset Family Mb Hard Drives C Total wireless Card Air Verizon printing local and - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc P H A H XYKK CN M Antivirus Microsoft Security Essentials Updated and Enabled My Verizon USB internet card failed yesterday and I replaced it with Model Verizon Air Card and local wireless printing UML VW which is G and G compatible I have spent at least three hours online with Verizon tech support and still have not completely resolved the issues that I am having with the new device First I could not get the computer to recognize the new device After about an hour online with tech support I went to the local Verizon Air Card and local wireless printing library to go online so that I could download new software and new firmware For the NEW device I was able to use the new device Verizon Air Card and local wireless printing to go online yesterday evening This morning the computer would recognize the device and the VZAccess Manager said that the UML was connected but neither Firefox or Explorer would load a page After another hour online with Verizon tech support the technician told me that the problem must be with either the computer or with the operating system and that I needed to call them for tech support Before calling Dell tech support I took a good look at the VZAccess Manager display and decided to disconnect the local home network USR To my surprise both Firefox and Explorer then worked However the UML would disconnect repeatedly Another minutes with Verizon tech support took care of that problem switched from Global to EDO Repeated tests demonstrated that the UML would now provide reliable internet connection so long as the home network was not connected However my connection to the printer is wireless via the home network Not being able to print while using the internet is quite a problem Another - minutes on the phone with Verizon tech support essentially elicited the response quot Why would anyone want to use the internet and print at the same time quot The suggestion for finding a solution was for me to quot search Google for a solution quot Is anyone else using or trying to use a Verizon air card and a home network at the same time Does anyone know a solution to my problem UPDATE I just got off the line with another Verizon tech support person He finally thought to inform me that the ULM VW does not allow local networking and internet connect at the same time He said that I needed to swap the ULM for the MYFI which does allow both as well as connecting up to five computers to the internet at the same time All this without any additional charge Wow Isn t this a great country or what nbsp

A:Verizon Air Card and local wireless printing

The tech support person may have been correct about Verizon not allowing another network connection, but I wouldn't believe it without farther testing.

When Windows has multiple Default Gateways from which to choose it seems to choose wired over wireless but otherwise I have not detected a pattern--it seems random to me. Try using a static IP configuration for your LAN, leaving the Gateway and DNS servers blank.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/verizon-air-card-and-local-wireless-printing.986489/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have several Windows 7 and Windows XP users using RDC to log in to a Windows Server 2008 machine. Their local printer is a network attached Dell 3110cn. I had to manually install a driver for the 3110 on the Windows Server box.

I have to choose from a tsxx port from the list of ports to get the remote printing working. However, every time a user logs out and logs back in, the mapping of the ts port changes and disables printing. I really need this to not happen. Does anyone know of a solution?

A:Problem with RDC clients printing to local printer

Two simple fixes: 1) Setup a Print server add all the printers to the print server, and remove all the direct network printing from the workstations. 2) Add all the printers to the Terminal Server, , and remove all the direct network printing from the workstations. -WS

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/162315-problem-rdc-clients-printing-local-printer.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have the following:

Terminal Server 4.0 running an application called CLASS

100 seperate users are located at a remote sites, connecting via a WAN Router.
Users running Terminal client. Connects to Terminal Server, and runs
class. Each wants to print to a local printer from Class.

How to configure Terminal Server so that I can print from the terminal
server to my clients' printer, without mapping the printer at the Terminal
Server. In other words, I want to print to my clients local printer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/terminal-server-client-local-printing.29388/
Relevancy 51.17%

I'm dumbfounded...

My client computer is a Win 98 SE system with an Epson C40UX USB printer. The server is a Windows 2000 Server with SP2 installed. I have a connection established between the client and the server using Terminal Services. The Win98 machine is successfully communicating with the Windows server. But, I am unable to print a document to the Epson printer while inside Terminal Server. I am beginning to think it has something to do with the USB connection. Is there a way to fix this? Do you have any thoughts on this matter?
John

A:Printing to a local printer inside Terminal Server

The printer driver will have to be installed on the server.

Here is a link to a document you can download that tells more about it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/technologies/fileandprint/print/terminalsrvcs.asp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/printing-to-a-local-printer-inside-terminal-server.82586/
Relevancy 51.17%

whenever i am taking remote Desktop connection of computer that time printer is not responding every time client machine is windows7 professional 32 bit & server machine is  windows server 2008 standard  edition please  give the needful
solution on it 

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d942bc30-c6c4-4524-9562-61fa791553b8/win-7-remote-desktop-and-local-printing-not-responding-every-time?forum=w7itproappcompat
Relevancy 50.31%

I am testing some Windows Professional clients on my SBS Svc PK domain and I am having a and sends Local a Print will Windows Downlevel 7 NOT Document Printing confusing printing problem nbsp Each day my Win users turn on their machines and it seems like the first prints of the day ALWAYS fail nbsp When they print it actually sends two items to the print que nbsp One item is the appropriate print page even a simple test page has the same result nbsp But the other item is simply listed as nbsp Local Downlevel Document nbsp This is the problem item nbsp it will NOT print nbsp I have to stop and restart the print spooler while trying to delete this item from the que Windows 7 Printing sends a Local Downlevel Document and will NOT Print nbsp Sometimes it takes many many tries before it disappears nbsp Once Windows 7 Printing sends a Local Downlevel Document and will NOT Print it does I can stop and Windows 7 Printing sends a Local Downlevel Document and will NOT Print restart the print spooler one more time yes this extra start and stop seems to help and now my prints will be sent to the que properly and the prints will come out without a problem nbsp Until tomorrow when the process seems to start again Are there any suggestions I can try nbsp nbsp I have updated the printer drivers to the latest I can find on the internet nbsp I have rebuilt my printing ques but always have the same results nbsp Any suggestions at all Thanks for any helpRich

A:Windows 7 Printing sends a Local Downlevel Document and will NOT Print

That is because the printer driver installation does not start because of the error. By default high privilege will be needed when you install driver. The clients may need to install the Windows 7 compatible driver on their client computers. Printer driver installation program will prompt that if you would like to install a local printer or a network shard printer. Then select the correct option and finish the installation.
If the driver installation program does not help in this, follow the steps below to add a shard printer.
1. Click Start, click Control Panel and double click Devices and Printers.2. Click Add a Printer. 3. Select "Add a local printer". 4. Select "Create a new port". Choose "Local Port" as the type of the port.5. In the box "Enter a port name", type the address as the following format.
\\[IP address of the host computer]\[The Share Name of the printer]
Then click Next.
6. Follow the instruction to finish the installation. During installing, choose the correct driver in the driver list.
Also you can try to add the Windows 7 compatible printer driver to the printer server. You need to install the Windows 7 compatible driver in one of the Windows 7 client, then follow the steps below.
1. Install the driver on one of the Windows 7 clients.2. Launch mmc from Start Search box.3. Click File->Add/Remove Snap-in.4. Add "Print Management". Point to the server in "Specify the printer server". 5. Expand "Printer Management"->"Printer Servers"->"Drivers". 6. Right-click, then click "Add a driver".7. follow the instructions to add the Windows 7 printer driver.
After doing so the driver should be added into the server.
If the driver is packed, you can directly extract the driver pack and add the driver from Printer Management in the printer server.
If the printer driver is not found, the driver should be not designed for enterprise environment. In this case you may need to add the printer from the client side manually.
 Arthur Xie - MSFT

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/388395df-737b-4bfa-abbb-33643e7f6f58/windows-7-printing-sends-a-local-downlevel-document-and-will-not-print?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 45.58%

I am running Windows Vista and have recently reinstalled my operating system. Since reinstalling, I have not been able to print from MS Word. Printing from other sources (Acrobat, excel) works just fine.

I dont' get any error's at all, just no response. When I watch the print queue as it spools the document it briefly shows a document named "Local Downlevel Document" spooling, and then it does nothing. What is that all about?

This is REALLY frustrating so if anyone is able to offer any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 39.56%

How to Block Internet on local Windows XP PC but Not "Skype" and other Locally hosted WebPages { I means 192.168.0.2, 127.0.0.1 and etc } ?

Here is my Network :

Internet Lease Line---> CentOS Server(with 2 lan cards)---> Local Lan----> Windows XP ( Gateway defined as server IP)

A:Block Internet but Not Skype and Local WebPages Hosted on Local Lan Server

I have 2 users, admin and agent(limited access)

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/block-internet-but-not-skype-and-local-webpages-hosted-on-local-lan-server-607559.html
Relevancy 38.27%

Does Address Host. Local Local Multiple and anyone know why local IP addresses listed in my packet log would be different than my local IP address given Multiple Local Address and Local Host. me by my ISP In my log I noticed that suddenly I have different local IP addresses apart from my IP I am Local Address and I am Local Host but also listed are different IP s as Local Address and Local Host The ones showing up as local address and local host with me are bas -ottawa - dsl bell ca c- - - - hsd wa comcast net - - - dsl telesp net br - - - dhcp mtgm al charter com - - - dhcp dlth mn charter com CPE cefbe -CM f cpe net cable rogers com All of these on the list sent or more UDP packets to my ISP All of my packets under my IP address are TCP So how can they and I both be Local Address and Local Host and using different IP addresses nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/multiple-local-address-and-local-host.856118/
Relevancy 38.27%

I have a problem I have never seen before on serveral computers running Office 2000 Professional on Windows 98 SE. When you click print, the printer dialog box does not appear. Instead the title bar and the bar only the bottom begin flashing. If you click on the flashing bar the print box appears and it will print, but Word 2000 closes. Has anyone seen this before? I can't find a mention close to this anywhere on Micorsoft's Knowledge base or the Internet. It is somewhat intermittent but it now happens on several different computers. All have current Antivirus protection, latest Windows Critical updates. All systems have Office SP1 installed and some have SP2 and SP3 installed (it does not seem to make any difference).

A:Word 2000 Printing Problem - no Printing but title bar flasehes.

Clean up the PC:

www.theofficeexperts.com/cleanyourpc.htm

Troubleshoot Word:

www.theofficeexperts.com/word.htm

If it still does it, it's the printer/printer driver.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/word-2000-printing-problem-no-printing-but-title-bar-flasehes.117470/
Relevancy 38.27%

I never had this problem before I purchased Vista, but I get some vertical stripes on the right edge of the paper. These stripes correspond to the lines of words, meaning if there is a line of words then there's stripes but no stripes when it's a blank line. (I got these exact words from another poster that had the problem exactly to mine except I have Vista and it prints when I print online on EVERY page) - just as it says above. I have an HP1018 that did not work until finally HP put out a driver for Vista a few months after I bought my Vista machine. I've tried the rotated feature, the fastres1200 as well. Nothing has worked yet. HELP! (I use Internet Explorer)
Oh, also, it prints these black vertical lines if it's a picture OR text and ONLY ONLINE - gmail, ie pages, etc. It is fine with Word, etc.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vertical-stripes-printing-along-right-edge-of-paper-when-printing-ie-with-vista-309476.html
Relevancy 37.84%

Hey,

Im trying to pring out my website which has a lot of transparent gifs on it. when I print it the gifs show a white background instead of the color of the bacground of the site so I end up with a bunch of white boxes with the graphics. does anyone know a way of printing the gifs so that they pring transparent and not white??? I need to know fast....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/printing-webpage-with-transparant-gif-bg-of-the-gifs-are-printing-white-and-the-bg.148092/
Relevancy 37.84%

I have been using a network capable HP LJ T which i added an HP Network card too for years as a network printer I dis-connected it and moved it to a different location and now i can not get my pc When my Printing Error HP to 4050 printing networked LaserJet to print to it I have win bit I have tried the universal drivers and the drivers built in to win mainly HP Laser Jet PCL and or the PS driver all of which work for at some point in the past but now no longer will do the trick After installing the driver i can get the printer to add to the list of devises and appears to be installed Printing Error When printing to my networked HP LaserJet 4050 correctly I can ping the printer however when i try a TEST PAGE it will give error message quot Error - Printing quot very generic Frustrating thing is that i have this issue every time i disconnect the printer it takes multiple tries getting it to connect i e installing drivers and uninstalling rebooting re-setting settings etc I work at it for hours and then what seems to be by luck something i previously had done will work this time or something i found online will work however this time I've tried all those things and others without success It almost seams that i have to trick the computer till it lets me print to it In the past i was able to get my Win XP laptop to print to it as well but i have not been able to re-connect this for over a year I found the previous post SOLVED Laser Printer HP connect to network From this post i I have set up a static ip of in my router for this I had not previously used a static IP i was able to get it to work via DHCP it usually set it to the same IP which was However this post didn't work for me or maybe i missed something Any suggestions on what i need to do or try Is this a Windows issues that it's stopping some HP printing protocol

A:Printing Error When printing to my networked HP LaserJet 4050

When you disconnected the printer did you turn both the computer and printer off and disconnect both from the mains power supply. There is no reason why they should not talk to each other if everything is turned off before one or the other is moved as it would be no different from turning them off, not moving the printer, then turning them back on again.

You don't say whether the printer/computers are hard-wired or wireless networked.

Have you tried going into a program like Word and hitting Ctrl-P and telling it to search for a printer? If the driver software is on the computers it should connect.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/printing-error-when-printing-to-my-networked-hp-laserjet-4050-a-757369.html
Relevancy 36.98%

One of the Windows components in Windows 7 is the Internet Printing Client. Maybe it was there in Vista or earlier, but if so I never noticed it. I've discovered in the past the Microsoft (and other companies) often use 'Internet' as synonymous with TCP/IP. Is that the case here?

I never print across the Internet-but I do have several printers on my local network that use TCP/IP. And I know it's easy enough to remove this client & see if I can still print to my printers-but it doesn't seem like I should have to figure things out by trial & error.

Do you know whether or not this 'Internet Printing Client' is needed to be able to print to any TCP/IP printer, whether it's actually on the Internet or not? Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/is-there-a-difference-between-tcp-ip-network-printing-internet-printing.874708/
Relevancy 36.98%

I have wkscal.exe to run a calendar. All functions
work except when I try to print it. It uses all the
memory, while showing it is preparing to print.
The microsoft wite showed I could fix it by
downloading wkpr60.exe. I did, I ran it, but it
did nothing. Still can only use a live calendar, but
no paper copy is possible.
What office/work/works software uses these .exe files?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/printing-swamps-memory-when-printing-calendar.791205/
Relevancy 36.98%

I tried to print something but it started printing first a whole bunch of pages that I don't need anymore. It must be from the last time I pressed print but didn't connect the laptop with the printer.

A:How can I stop printing things that are printing endlessly

You need to delete everything that is in the print queue.The best way to do it is first open the RUN command. Then type in SERVICES.MSC.When the box opens up, scroll down to PRINT SPOOLER. Right click and chooseSTOP. Then open up the PRINTERS folder which is usually in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\SPOOL.Open the PRINTERS folder and delete the files in it. You then must go back andrestart PRINT SPOOLER.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/26659-how-can-i-stop-printing-things-printing-endlessly.html
Relevancy 36.98%

I tried to print something but it started printing first a whole bunch of pages that I don't need anymore. It must be from the last time I pressed print but didn't connect the laptop with the printer.

A:How can I stop printing things that are printing endlessly

Bit difficult to answer as you do not say what printer you have but it would appear that you had or still have documents in the "Print Queue" If you open the queue you can cancel all the waiting docs!
Try thiss:
With the printer switched off, open a document and click Ctrl + P (Or File then Print) This will open a window telling you to check that the printer is connected. Somewhere on that small window should be a button that reads something like "Print Queue" or View Print Queue". Click that and in there you will see a list of docs waiting to be printed. There you will be able to delete them. The queue builds up when you have a problem when the printer doesn't print for some reason, either it has got disconnected, is not switched on, is out of ink etc. You keep pressing "Print" and nothing appears to happen but the queue just gets bigger and bigger. When you get the printer working again it automatically prints all the docs in the queue. Moral to the story. If you have a printing problem always check the print queue before proceeding!
EDIT Please make sure you come back here and let us know if the above works for you or not as I notice from your previous threads that despite expert help you never give any feedback. You will get much better help if you at least come back and report if the solution worked!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/293961-how-can-i-stop-printing-things-printing-endlessly.html
Relevancy 36.98%

Ok so were using this POS software called Counterpoint. and we used to print our labels, which include the item description, and a barcode for the item on each page to a laserjet 2 printer. Now we have upgraded the printer to a Laserjet 1022n, and the barcode parts are coming out all jibberish. The text for the item description comes out fine, but the barcode parts are jsut a bunch of characters. I changed the printer type in our software from Laserjet II, to Laserjet compatible 150DPI, and am getting the same results. I'm not sure where the problem is here, and will appriciate any input. The other settings in the Software remain unchanged, such as Lines per inch, and characters per inch. i'm not sure if those need to be changed as i'm not sure how it would affect the barcode.

Relevancy 36.98%

Hello I'm currently in the process of testing deploying IE in setup XML - file File Local Enterprise Local List Network, IE11 Manager or HTTP, Site our environment and I've begun testing on the IE Enterprise Site List manager I've read that there are a few different ways to configure the XML file to apply via GPO IE11 Enterprise Site List Manager XML file setup - HTTP, Local Network, or Local File per the article below nbsp HTTP Local Network Local File https technet microsoft com en-us library Dn aspx In my isolated testing I've chosen to use the local file method which is very easy to setup and use on a testing machine It looks like we have the flexibility to choose how we apply the XML file and I was curious what the best options are and why nbsp Also are there examples of each setup being used and the benefits downsides to each Here's the options that I can see using HTTP - setup an IIS website to host the XML file Local Network UNC - setup a UNC path on our DFS where we store the current XML file and users would have read only access to that location Local File - We could just deploy the XML file via SCCM package application when updates to the list are required Could anyone please point me towards some articles etc explaining the pro's and cons of these methods and why I might want to choose one over the other nbsp I'm leaning towards just using a DFS share and option because it doesn't require us to maintain an IIS site for it but I am curious to hear if there might be any downsides to this method or benefits to going with another method Thanks

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/ffeba7b5-ee91-4622-a535-a16b90c4a41f/ie11-enterprise-site-list-manager-xml-file-setup-http-local-network-or-local-file?forum=ieitprocurrentver
Relevancy 36.98%

I have a user is on his personal Win 7 home PC with his Canon printer plugged in via USB. From his home PC, he VPN's and RDP's into his Win 7 box here at the office. The question is that he would like to print files within the RDP session from his local printer connected to his local home PC. Is that even possible to do? And how?

A:How can you print to local printer in RDP from the local PC?

Hi,

Have you checked 'Local devices and resources' within the RDP setting?
Make sure 'Printers' is ticked

Does this help?

Regards,
Jamie

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/340452-how-can-you-print-local-printer-rdp-local-pc.html
Relevancy 35.69%

I have an Epson r300 printer and I want to make my CDs look more professional when I am giving them to clients. I have the option of either getting circular labels and printing to these or else printing directly to the CDs...

Which is the better option or is there much between the two. ??

Relevancy 35.69%

Does anyone know if this is printing method is compatible with with HP CP2025 printers, or does it require a specific printer type to work?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pull-printing-followme-printing.1025261/
Relevancy 35.69%

We have an OKI B6200 and for some reason when we try to print from a website it fails and gets stuck in the queue. I read somewhere awhile ago that there is some sort of security setting that you can set to allow to print from the web but I don't remember where or how. Any suggestions?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/printing-fails-when-printing-from-website-253484.html
Relevancy 34.83%

Hi We upgraded our desktops from Windows XP to Windows Admin Local Admin Group Rights local without Assign with Windows XP we used the resource kit s CDROMLOCK EXE to lock down CD and DVD Once installed a user had to be in the local administrators group to access a CD or DVD on that desktop For Windows it is not Windows compatible so I run the EXE in Vista SP- Compatibility mode which works perfect My question With a user in the local admin group they have access to the CD and DVD but also have full access to the desktop which is of concern Does anyone know how to assign a user name Either local Desktop or a Server domain account to a Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group service or Exe Is there a way to either create a folder with full rights and then put the exe in the folder giving the user full admin rights to the folder or assign full admin rights to s single EXE file I am just not sure how Windows controls local admin rights other than the local Admin Group If Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group this is in the wrong group please move Thanks B nbsp

A:Assign Local Admin Rights without local Admin Group

You should be able to right-click on the exe file, then choose properties. On the "Compatibility" tab, there should be a checkbox for "Run as administrator", which you can check (enable) and save settings.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/assign-local-admin-rights-without-local-admin-group.1123053/
Relevancy 34.83%

Hello I found this forum out of necessity I have done a folder folder Sync pc local local office on w/ Surface Pro??? on fair share of googling this question without any luck resolution Hopefully someone here will have a useful answer I use a program at my office that stores data Sync local folder on office pc w/ local folder on Surface Pro??? in the Sync local folder on office pc w/ local folder on Surface Pro??? local program folder on my pc However i also use this program on my tablet surface pro these are both windows devices respectively so i'm hoping that works to my advantage Most of the resolutions i found on google involved using my OneDrive however the Local folder is approx GB depending on the number of projects so this is not an option I would rather find a solution that does not involve an external HDD at this is just one more piece of equipment to carry and i worry about performance issues while working on the projects In my opinion the ideal solution is Use the program while i am at the office the files save to the Local folder on my PC and then when my tablet is awake the modified files automatically sync over our wifi connection The wifi aspect isnt a deal breaker i am fine with syncing via a USB cord as well The main goal is i want the projects data from the Local folder to sync with either my PC or my tablet depending on which file has the most recent time stamp So obviously if i work on a project during the week and need to view modify it outside the office any changes made will sync to the PC the next time I connect via the wifi or USB I am also open to alternative solutions that i may be missing Cross posted to Windows Forum as well

A:Sync local folder on office pc w/ local folder on Surface Pro???

I would agree that having a cloud storage would be nice should the office server go down. You do know that you don't have to sync the entire share folder and programs right? You can sync just individual files that are actually being used and changed. As far as extra storage goes, no need to tote around an external HD. Why not get a couple USB 3.0 flash drives or sdcards? And I really do mean get 2-3, just in case one should fail you have some kind of a backup. You can never rely on a single backup.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/553249/sync-local-folder-on-office-pc-w-local-folder-on-surface-pro/
Relevancy 34.4%

I am using word 2000 and printing to a HP laser printer. The problem is the the word document
is split into two sections becasue I want to print one section as Landscape and the other section
as Portrait. The first section is Landscape and the section below it is set for Portrait. The problem
is that when I print the document, the Landscape prints fine but the section set for portrait has
the font stretched and looks nothing like arial or courier or any other font. No matter what font
I change to for the portrait section it always prints like the letters are stretched. Have any ideas
on how I can make this print the way I want it too?

Relevancy 33.97%

I once ran across a simple UI item that allowed me to change LOCAL CONNECTION 2 to LOCAL CONNECTION.

It wasn't in the registry, and I am not referring to changing the name of the local connection itself. Just want to drop the "2" designation.

Anyone happen to recall where this is done? Frustrating to forget something that was easily accomplished in the past. ^_^ Thanks.

A:Change Local Net 2 to Local Net

Have a looky here pal

Network Name - Enable or Disable Change

Network Name and Icon - Change

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/193793-change-local-net-2-local-net.html
Relevancy 33.97%

I once ran across a simple UI item that allowed me to change LOCAL CONNECTION 2 to LOCAL CONNECTION.

RESOLVED. Open Network and Sharing Center. Click on the icon for the active connection. Change THAT name.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/change-local-net-2-to-local-net.172565/
Relevancy 33.54%

Hi all this originally started with an issue with the wireless I recently installed a D-Link DIR- wireless router and did computer only" "local with Vista had with "local ethernet only" access wireless, now a basic setup giving it WPA security My Vista computer originally was able to connect to the router with Internet and before that to the modem directly with Ethernet but it was infected by the Vista Security virus which I removed after following some steps and MBAM Since then it can no longer connect to the wireless network so I Googled the issue and did a few things - Norton Remover - In command prompt ipconfig and netsh some commands that reset refreshed IP DNS or something along those lines - Going to wireless settings and disabling ipV - Going to wireless setting and manually giving it an IP Default Gateway DNS Vista computer had "local only" access with wireless, now "local only" with ethernet according to the specs that I found by using ipconfig on my working Windows laptop - Updating the Atheros driver to version Somewhere along the way I must ve nipped something important somewhere because now the Vista machine doesn t connect to the internet wirelessly NOR with the Ethernet cable attached Vista computer had "local only" access with wireless, now "local only" with ethernet The icon in the lower right hand corner shows that the machine sees the router but with Local Access only I ve done an ipconfig all with the machine and here are the results this is with ethernet attached Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Windows system gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name HomePC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR b g WiFi Adapter Physical Address - - B- A- E- A DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL E Family PCI-E Fast Ethern et NIC NDIS Physical Address - F- - F-D - B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe cc c bf a c b cbf Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap CF B -A - C B- DA-FC A D br CD Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap AA -A C- F-AFBB-DC F br A Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap F AFB E -A E - B-A B -A B br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Conn... Read more

A:Vista computer had "local only" access with wireless, now "local only" with ethernet

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vista-computer-had-local-only-access-with-wireless-now-local-only-with-ethernet.1031986/
Relevancy 33.11%

i have been the internet for a couple of months with no problems everything was working fine but a couple of weeks ago my 'access' and internet changing to 'local internet' 'access' keeps only' from 'local started to change and say local only stopping me from viewing certain websites pictures would not load and would then take to to the 'cannot display webpage' when i try to diagnose it it either says that windows could not internet 'access' keeps changing from 'local and internet' to 'local only' find a problem with the connection 'the problem has been resolved' though it doesn't say what the problem actually was and it isn't resolved internet 'access' keeps changing from 'local and internet' to 'local only' as a couple of minutes later it will do it again or it gives me the option to reset the network adapter and internet 'access' keeps changing from 'local and internet' to 'local only' then says it has been resolved again it hasn't im running windows vista using wireless internet connection and it always says that my signal strength is excellent i have no idea what it could be as i had not been doing anything differently with it when the problem started help please

A:internet 'access' keeps changing from 'local and internet' to 'local only'

This happens when the router/dsl/cable modem loses its connection with the internet but your wireless connection between your computer and the wireless router stays up (local only).
The next time this happens run in and take a look at the WAN light on your dsl modem to verify that it is red or flashing orange (depending on your modem). Most likely the connection has dropped but the modem will restore the connection automatically when the line is good again. This is an ISP issue and you should call them when you are having trouble and ask them to diagnose the line. You will have to insist because it takes more than 2 microseconds of their time and you know how valuable they believe their time can be.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f56/internet-access-keeps-changing-from-local-and-internet-to-local-only-347396.html
Relevancy 32.25%

Have you had problems trying to disable your sound when printing on a Dell printer I recently installed Windows and have a Dell printer not sure if this happens with other printers and every time I go to print it says quot printer Printing" Dell "Done 7: Disabling "Now and Printing" sound for Windows Now Printing quot and at the end it says quot Done Printing quot I found this quite aggravating I did find a page on this website that had corrections for Vista but not Windows and the steps are a little different After trying to go into CONTROL Windows 7: Disabling printer sound "Now Printing" and "Done Printing" for Dell PANEL and SOUNDS I found that readjusting these settings did absolutely NOTHING to get rid of these announcements After some more Windows 7: Disabling printer sound "Now Printing" and "Done Printing" for Dell of my own trouble-shooting I figured out how to get rid of these announcements for a DELL printer Click on the Windows icon Windows 7: Disabling printer sound "Now Printing" and "Done Printing" for Dell on the bottom left of your screen and scroll up to DEVICES AND PRINTERS and click on it Left click on your selected printer will have green check mark and scroll to PRINTING PREFERENCES and click on it A box will pop up In the upper right hand corner click on OPTIONS and scroll down to PRINTER STATUS OPTIONS and click on it Another box will pop up Click on the circle to the left of Never Display the Printing Status so that the circle becomes blue Note selecting this option will disable your printing announcements but it will ALSO disable the box that pops up during printing that shows your ink levels and percentage of printing completed If you want to continue to see this printing status box you will have to deal with the announcements as well Hope this was helpful nbsp

A:Windows 7: Disabling printer sound "Now Printing" and "Done Printing" for Dell

I only use HP printers and have never used Dell printers, so I'm not familiar with those "now printing/done printing" announcements.

I keep my printer set to notify me of the ink levels ONLY when something is printing.

That saves me from having to go into the printer toolbox to manually check the ink levels.

----------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-disabling-printer-sound-now-printing-and-done-printing-for-dell.1106559/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hello All,

I just installed Windows 7 Home Pre x64 on my computer. When i was installing i mistakenly didnt format the hard drive befor reinstalling, neither did i parition the drive. Now in my Local Disk Drive (C there is a folder in it called "Local Disk". This folder contains all the computer files, user files, and program files. In the root directory of the Main C Drive, the tw program files folders appear, with the Windows folder also. There is also a folder that says Windows.old, Windows.old.ooo. What do i do?

A:Local Disk folder in Local Disk C

I would reinstall delete the old partition and create a new 1 unless you are wanting to save any of your old files. The windows.old are your old files. You have two operating systems on the same partition, I believe.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-disk-folder-in-local-disk-c.962553/
Relevancy 27.52%

Im having some trouble getting the wireless connection on my laptop to work. It worked once before, then when I plug in my ethernet cable to my laptop, my internet stopped working. Everytime I open the Network and Sharing Center while Im connected wirelessly to my pc, it says Local Only. Ive been reading all sorts of forums and am about to throw my laptop across the room. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks.

Relevancy 27.52%

Since yesterday, and for no apparent reason at all, my computer keeps losing internet connection (but local still stays). Every 10 or so minutes the computer disconnects from the internet and when I put my mouse over the network icon in the task bar, it says Local Only. Not only that, but even when I do have full connectivity, the internet is extremely slow, and I can't seem to maintain a stable connection. I'm using cable internet, I have a router, and I'm running windows vista. I'm pretty sure its not the router because I connected the modem directly to the computer, and it got even worse. I've tried disabling it and restarting my modem and router many times with no luck. My ISP says my connection is strong, and yet the internet is acting so poorly. This just started happening yesterday morning, and I'm completely stumped. Can anyone lend a hand?

Relevancy 27.52%

Hello,

Recently, Id say about a couple of days now I keep getting LOCAL ONLY when I'm on the internet.. and it just randomly just comes and goes.

It's annoying and frustrating at times when I'm trying to use the internet.

Does anyone have any clue as to why??
Any updates I can do and such...??

My Router is Netgear
My network adapter is Atheros Ar5007
My internet is CLEAR

IDK if any of that info could help..

I have unplugged the cables on the back of router and modem and plugged back and internet will come back but it could be a coincidence since I'm noticing that it randomly comes and goes. The router is in the other room, I am connected to it wirelessly.

I appreciate your knowledge in advance. Thank you.

A:LOCAL only (Comes and goes??)

Originally Posted by monirlz

Hello,

Recently, Id say about a couple of days now I keep getting LOCAL ONLY when I'm on the internet.. and it just randomly just comes and goes.

It's annoying and frustrating at times when I'm trying to use the internet.

Does anyone have any clue as to why??
Any updates I can do and such...??

My Router is Netgear
My network adapter is Atheros Ar5007
My internet is CLEAR

IDK if any of that info could help..

I have unplugged the cables on the back of router and modem and plugged back and internet will come back but it could be a coincidence since I'm noticing that it randomly comes and goes. The router is in the other room, I am connected to it wirelessly.

I appreciate your knowledge in advance. Thank you.

Hello monirlz, and welcome to Vista Forums!

The Internet Protocol: IPv6 sometimes causes issues like this. You can disable IPv6 and just use IPv4. Here is a link to one way to disable IPv6: How to disable certain Internet Protocol version 6 (IPv6) components in Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008

Cheers!
Robert

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/277301-local-only-comes-goes.html
Relevancy 27.52%

Hello. this is my first post and i have been trying to find a solution to my problem. My problem is I am trying to connect to a wireless network. It connects but it starts off with it saying limited connectity and then it goeds to Access: Local only. Then I researched and i clicked on the IPv6 box and t worked. This time it doesnt work. I dont think I need to install any drivers or updates bc my PC is a couple of months old. Its a toshiba Satellite A215-S4757. 64bit.

A:Local Only

If you haven't done so - do a complete hardware reset on your router. This fixed my "Local Only" issues (had to do so again when major security updates were installed). I'm no network engineer, but it seems that something in the router code makes Vista a bit unsure about the safety and limits the connection to local.

Good luck!

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/127595-local-only.html
Relevancy 27.52%

using alfa awus036nh i only get local only even though signal is excellent. but i get internet if close enough without the alfa. even if close enough to get internet without alfa using it results in local only. what am i doing wrong?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-only.1004156/
Relevancy 27.52%

Hey guys, I believe I have found that "Local only" internet access fix. I have been searching the forums for months now and nothing seemed to work. Microsoft was no help at all. Even seemed to act like they didnt know it was happening. Anyway I stumbled across it on accident just trying to fix the problem muself. Go to the network and sharing center. Click on view status. Then go to wireless properties. then click on security. Now if it says it is set to WPA-2 personal, change it to WPA personal. Then you will have to re enter your password. Boom fixed. Good luck. It worked for me

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/289265-local-only-fix.html
Relevancy 27.52%

i've connected on multiple wireless and corded networks before, but traveling and suddenly i can't connect anywhere, i've tried two corded networks and one wireless, ?t always says connected, but 'access local only''
can't copy ipconfig as on different machine in intenet cafe currently

but ipv6 shows wierd address (with letters) and ipv4 looks like a good address.. it shows media state for media disconnected.. but i know it's not the router as it is three different places...

uninstalled my avg software virus and software, was going to do windows update, but since can't get on internet can't do that... help

when i look at connections.. i can see connection to network, but x across network to internet.. i try clicking and it says diagnose, but it doesn't say much
\'there may be a problem with your DNS configuration'

vista home premium

casey

A:Local Only

Disable and enable your wireless adapter. See if it finds a new network.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/159645-local-only.html
Relevancy 27.52%

Am using a Hp with Vista Home Basic 32bit SP2, am having a problem in connecting to LAN internet connections, it takes time to identify then at the end says Unidentified Network. Is there a problem with my modems or what could really be the course of this? It drives me nuts to keep on waiting whenever i turn on my laptop. Please help..
Crazier

A:LAN: Local Only

Originally Posted by crazier

Am using a Hp with Vista Home Basic 32bit SP2, am having a problem in connecting to LAN internet connections, it takes time to identify then at the end says Unidentified Network. Is there a problem with my modems or what could really be the course of this? It drives me nuts to keep on waiting whenever i turn on my laptop. Please help..
Crazier

Crazier

First things first. In order to help we need to know what hardware you have could you fill in your system specs (lower left corner). You could also tell us about your networking setup. Is it a homegroup, at school, or work? what modem, router, wifi cards, etc

Thanks

Ken

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/247150-lan-local-only.html
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi I have had my new pc for about years now and from time to time i have used the to net do XP old PC-local maybe What with old XP pc this one HP Pavilion a la Desktop PC Product Specifications HP Pavilion a la Desktop PC HP Support which has gb hard drives and i really dont want to lose the storage space for a long time now i have been use tight vnc to communicate with it What to do with old XP PC-local net maybe doing some small What to do with old XP PC-local net maybe storage and some other stuff but tight vnc is sooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow that i wish there was a better way I think my new and old pc each have one ethernet port so i would still have to go thru my router or do i can i connect them pc to pc for faster file xfter via ethernet or what is the best thing to do with this old thing It still works great but it has xp and the os cannot be upgraded to another version It would have to be as is because as we know xp is no longer supported or updated Any suggestions or maybe even a link to a good video of how to set up a peer to peer thru a router and take tight vnc out of the loop thanks quot

A:What to do with old XP PC-local net maybe

XP and win7 computer are connected both wired to same router? If so... it doesn't use the router part at all. It uses the switch that's built inside the router.

Speed should be 100mb (or 1Gb if using gigbit port). Divide by 8 and you have Bytes instead of bits. About 30% of communication is overhead btw.

Why use tightvnc or any other vnc flavor? That works great for remote control. But you don't need it for windows file sharing.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/353907-what-do-old-xp-pc-local-net-maybe.html
Relevancy 27.52%

Hi Guys,

I so hope that someone can help me. I'm in a bit of trouble with my win 2k pc. I am investigating the local group policy option that is part of the mmc. I noticed that there was an option to
"Run only allowed windows applications" So i followed the instructions, opened up the gpedit.msc and added all the .exe files that i want users to be able to use on the pc. But now my problem is when i log back into the pc as administrator it doesn't let me alter the gpedit.msc file anymore, which is what i altered in the first place. ahhhhhhh.

Please can someone help me.
Cheers
Speckee

A:Win 2k Local GPO

MMC.exe > File > Open > %SystemRoot%\System32\Gpedit.msc

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/win-2k-local-gpo.182842/
Relevancy 27.52%

I can not connect to the internet on my Dell inspiron. In my network ans sharing centre it says I am connected to an unidentified network but not the internet and my access is 'Local only'.

Can any one help?
Thanks,

Relevancy 27.52%

Evening all

Bit of a problem with the new router...! Have just installed Virgin Media through cable modem and Netgear WGR614 to my Dell Inspiron 1720 wirelessly. At the mo, I am connected through it, but when I close the lid (hibernate) and then open up again, the router will only connect to a local only network. The only way I can fix this is by connecting to the router via a LAN wired connection, and rebooting the laptop,then I have the wireless back on again. As you can imagine, this is not ideal at all!

First of all, does this make sense? If so, any ideas on how to sort it?

Ta very much!

Chris

Relevancy 27.09%

I have a Computer which operates on XP Service Pack 2 and has a Maxtor 1TB external Hard Drive hooked up. We do a lot of Video Editing (programs such as DV Storm, Vegas etc.) and up until yesterday the external came up as Local Disk E, but it became unplugged whilst the Editing programs were running.

It now it comes up as Local Disk (I) but the problem is the Edit programs doesn't recognise any of the files (avi., mpg etc.) that are on the drive (comes up as 'invalid path'), and nor does it show them in their previous format.

Could someone please help and explain how I could restore it to Local Disk E so I can access the files again?

Many thanks
Mark

Relevancy 27.09%

I cannot join the second party on command and concor 3 when playing on network. I receive a message states "request time out"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-network.782138/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello everyone,

So I turned on my PC this morning ( vista 64 bit ) and I could not connect to the internet. I hover my mouse over the little internet connection icon in the botom right hand corner and it says local access only. Has anyone else had this problem? Is more information required ( more than likely ) jsut let me know. This is jsut another reason to have vista.

Neil

P.S. I didnt do anything out of the ordinary.

A:Local access only??

Originally Posted by muaddibalonso

Hello everyone,

So I turned on my PC this morning ( vista 64 bit ) and I could not connect to the internet. I hover my mouse over the little internet connection icon in the botom right hand corner and it says local access only. Has anyone else had this problem? Is more information required ( more than likely ) jsut let me know. This is jsut another reason to have vista.

Neil

P.S. I didnt do anything out of the ordinary.

yes, we respect your opinions on vista, unfortunaely we can only help you if your optimistic about fixing the issue, please keep vista bashing to a minimum (you are in VISTA forums).
Now thats cleared up, can you right click the connection icon and go to network and sharing center, and then click on the red x over the network map at the top, it should be where the blue arrow is pointing on the image below.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/213925-local-access-only.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello,

I was attempting to setup my home wired network and messed up something and now i have no internet access on my Vista desktop machine, my Vista laptop connected by ethernet works fine.

C:\Users\Administrator>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Dz-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
System Quarantine State . . . . . : Not Restricted
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : NVIDIA nForce 10/100 Mbps Ethernet
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-19-66-22-F7-B0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IPv4 Address. . : 169.254.120.12(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

C:\Users\Administrator>
Any help would be really appreciated.

A:Internet (Local Only)

Windows didn't Get IP from, probably, your router.
Do ipconfig /all on the other box. This one should look similar.
That said, when you get an IP of 169... release it to zero and then renew like this:
ipconfig /release
Windows should now report IP of 0.0.0.0
ipconfig /renew
Windows should now show your new IP, DNS servers, DHCP server, lease time.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/415176/internet-local-only/
Relevancy 27.09%

Not sure if this is the right forum. My local lan icon in the system try (lower right) is X'd out. I connect my laptop to cable modem thru a USB multibus. It worked fine until I unplugged it to travel with my laptop. Came back, plugged the USB cable back in and got a message saying the USB wasn't high speed and would not get all the functionality, or something close to that. I tried re-seating the USB cable a few times to no avail. Running XP Home on a Dell. If it worked before it must be something simple that I'm overlooking! Help please!

Relevancy 27.09%

Hi
I have posted previously about my problem. I have spent hours and hours.

Problem Vista basic, wireless, connection is Local Only
I have found this site http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/4215a10d-08dd-404a-a43a-635a2f141f0d/ and basically followed everything that i haven't done. From what i gather it is a very regular problem with vista. It seems that the conflict is with the router, previous router worked fine.

There is not yet one solution that has worked for me. This is my last attempt.

If I have no joy i will resort back to XP. THanks

A:Connection Local Only

Hi sometimes it is best to start from scratch http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Setting-up-a-home-network http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Setting-up-a-wireless-network how to remove the old http://www.ehow.com/how_2056400_remove-old-network-connections-windows.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connection-local-only.940397/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi folks,

I just moved into a new apartment where there is already wireless internet set up in my office. I don't actually want/need wireless so I'm trying to connect to the wireless router (Linksys WRT110) via ethernet cable, but am getting "local access only". The other two computers that are connected to this router are connected to the internet and thus are NOT having this problem.

-I can not connect directly to the modem because then everyone else loses their internet access.
-firewall is off.
-ping test doesn't work, I can't ping anything since I can't get online AT ALL.
-I know my cable works; if I connect it to the modem, I can get online.
-I know the router works, because everyone else can get online. I tried to get help from Linksys, but they want $30 for one-time help, which, IMO, is BS.

Please help!

A:Local access only?

One more thing:

This has happened to me before on a couple occasions with a wired connection as well, but has fixed itself after an hour or two each time. My current problem has been going on almost a week now and has yet to self-repair.

HELP!

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/273650-local-access-only.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi! I use 2 computers to access the Internet through the same wireless DSL connection. On one computer, I only get local access but no connection to the Internet. However, I can access the Internet if I use another network connection that is within this computers range, so I guess there is nothing wrong with my computer. Also, I can access the Internet with my other computer through the same DSL modem that just gives local access with the first computer, so I guess there is nothing wrong with the modem either. I tried the diagnose and repair option of my wireless card, but it didn't find anything. What could the problem be and how can I fix it??

A:Local access only

What's the brand and model of your modem? What is the brand and model of your router if you are using one?

Please show for each PC ...

Start, Run, CMD, OK to open a command prompt:
(For Vista type CMD in the Search box after Start)

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If necessary use a text file and removable media to copy the results to a computer with internet access.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-access-only.701358/
Relevancy 27.09%

I am using One local DNS Server for LAN user for accessing internet.Nowthe problem is when I put a new IP in the server it works fine with Windows machine, but the same ip fails to work with Linux machine.I amm using Class C ip address witth mask 255.255.255.192.Previously added IP address in the server working with Linux machine .Please help me to resolve the problem......

A:Local DNS Problem

Your post is unclear

What do you mean by "local DNS Server for LAN user for accessing internet" ? You don't use DNS to access the internet. You use a server with two nics bridged to access the internet via the server.

Your subnet mask limits you to 64 hosts. Any reason why? Is that the same subnet for the server?

What do you mean by "I put a new IP in the server"? You put a new host record into DNS? You changed the ip of the server?

Please clarify.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-dns-problem.694874/
Relevancy 27.09%

Event Viewer returned an Error of EventID 11 - The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2.

My question is which physical device is IdePort2?

Bios shows the following ide channels:

IDE Channel 0 Master - Hard Disk 1
IDE Channel 0 Slave - Hard Disk 2
IDE Channel 1 Master - Hard Disk 3
IDE Channel 1 Slave - Hard Disk 4
IDE Channel 2 Master - DVD drive
IDE Channel 3 Master - Hard Disk 5

Is IdePort2 Hard Disk 3 or DVD drive?

I have disabled the DVD drive in Win7, but still got the same error.

Thanks.

A:How to local IdePort2

Normally, computers start counting at zero, so 0, 1, 2...

IDE port 2 would theoretically be physically the third IDE port or channel 2. I say theoretically, because Windows uses logical drives, and it may not be reporting the actual physical port, but the logical port instead.

I'm not trying to be confusing. Likely, the problem really is in channel 2 (DVD drive). Disabling the channel in Windows may not be enough. You may have to disable channel 2 in BIOS to get the error to go away.

Keep in mind that this could be a symptom of a motherboard problem. Boot into BIOS and disable channel 2 and see if the problem continues, and let us know what happens.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/311224-how-local-ideport2.html
Relevancy 27.09%

I have computers that are not on a domain they are just part of a work group. each computer has a Agent and a Admin account. My employees log into the agent account which is a limited account. However they still can use the cd-rom. The problem with this is they put cd's in and listen to music. this slows down their production and causes issues on the floor. Is there a way to change the local policy on said machines to not allow the limited account access to the cd-rom and keep it from reading it or something?

A:Local pc policy

To be totally honest here....

I think you have more of a personnel management problem than a PC problem.

If you don't want folks listening to CD's while they are working, make the
rule(s) and then enforce them.

BG

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/local-pc-policy-471579.html
Relevancy 27.09%

I happen to safely unplug my imation swivel thumbdrive & i get this in my computer right after.

How do i get rid of this unknown Local Disk?
Is something wrong with my thumbdrive?

A:Local Disk (E:)

worme said:

I happen to safely unplug my imation swivel thumbdrive & i get this in my computer right after.

How do i get rid of this unknown Local Disk?
Is something wrong with my thumbdrive?Click to expand...

Look here in the pic:

start/control panel/system/hardware tab

to see if there is anything that you can find out.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-disk-e.417790/
Relevancy 27.09%

hi everyone.

i have a system in which some files are in sharing.The problem is when i try to access tht sys from the other sys through local admin it wont get connected,if i log in into the domain user or domain admin i can access that computer.
how can i solve tht problem.
domain network
server:win 2000 server

A:local admin

When you're connecting to it, do you remember to prefix the local login with PCNAME\? That is SERVER\administrator or PC1\administrator?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-admin.773275/
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello hope you may be able to help Laptop Acer laptop Vista OP just back from the menders new wireless adapter has been put in or so i was told Now the laptop will no longer only Solved: local connect wirelessly once encryption is enabled i can connect without encryption Can also connect to router via ethernet cable The wireless is showing local only and unidentified name of network i do have other wireless devices that are connected without any problems Did this ipconfig while connected by ethernet cable to the router Microsoft Solved: local only Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users user gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Acer Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR EG Wireless Network Adapter Physical Address - F- A- - -B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c f e Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained April Lease Expires April Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller Physical Address - B- - - -DC DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe ce ee f e Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained April Lease Expires April Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap D EAC E- AB - DD-A - F E A br A D Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe efe Preferred Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Thank you for reading any tips welcome nbsp

Relevancy 27.09%

Anyone at TSGs familiar with this software ? only in beta form at the moment. I have installed it twice then uninstalled it twice. Can't get the beggar to work

LOCAL COOLING

Some interesting stuff in the forum section regarding this software

A:Local Cooling ?

Just another of the many CPUIDLE type of programs. In truth, with modern operating systems and modes, I can't imagine why this kind of utility would have any reason for existing. In the Win9x days, they were a hot item. I think it's biggest feature is the fancy eye candy telling you that you saved three watts of energy yesterday.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-cooling.523061/
Relevancy 27.09%

my operating system is window vista home premium -bit I have been at this for days it happened about to two weeks ago and i switched the router connectiopn only local now i am have the same nagging problem local area only connection I am currently on a laptop that is connected to my network so I know its not the company it my pc local only connectiopn I have tried so many dos commands still nothing i have had the local only connectiopn media disconnect it cannot renew the ip address in my device manager my ethernet adapter is not there help me please Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Administrator gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name CHOCOLATEDRO-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller Physical Address - C- - -E - E DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe a efb f e Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCPv IAID DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap gateway wire net Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users Administrator gt nbsp

Relevancy 27.09%

I added some local policies to a local machine to prevent users from doing some things. Ie; run command, display, clock.

However, its also affected my admin side as well. Is there a way to have the policies jsut enforced to the specified user or group? I know about group policies, but i have not done them locally on 1 machine, to affect one user. I've only done them via domain structure.

Would i basically create a group on the local machine, add the user, and apply the policies to that group? If so, from where do i apply these settings to a group?

Relevancy 27.09%

Local Disk (Z: ) showed up out of no where.  When I try to open the drive I get the following:  I close the window in fear of Malware.When I scan the drive with my Anti-Malware software,what I find is Z:\EFI\Microsoft\ and Z:\EFI\HP\ folders, which I think are boot\system files. One of the file I was able to catch was: Z:\EFI\HP\SystemDiags\SystemDiags.s12. I notice that drive Z:  showed up around the time I was trying to install a new HP Envy 5540 printer.  With this more information can you tell me  what this is? I do not what to hit Continue until I know what it is!!It not a very big Disk either  Could it be deleted?

A:Local Disk Z

Shempstir Hello;Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!I read your post about your drive questions and wanted to help. MS makes this all confusing with their misuse of terminology.  When you or I say "drive", we think of a Hard Disk Drive (HDD) or a Solid State Drive (SSD).  This is a physical piece of hardware. But when MS says "drive", what they actually mean is a partition -- a formatted block of space on an existing physical drive. In your case, the "Z" partition is most likely the EFI System Partition (ESP) which holds the boot information for the OS. Don't worry about this, and don't mess with this -- this partition is vital to your PC booting and should be left alone.Good LuckI am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.========================================================================If you feel my suggestions helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol to say thanks!If they helped resolve your issue, please click "Accept As Solution" to help others find similar information.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Local-Disk-Z/td-p/5567916
Relevancy 27.09%

All right This has been happening as long as I had my computer It s new And it Access: only Local has Vista on it When ever I turn on my computer and everything I get problems when trying to get onto the network Like It will be quot Identifying quot The network for awhile And i ll wait And then I ll connect to it and it will say quot Access Local only quot And I wont have Internet And then i ll renew my IP and restart my Adapter and then restart my computer and then restart my Modem And then after doing all this over and over again I might get internet And some Access: Local only days i ll true on my computer and then I ll have internet and everything will work So let me say this I m on a wireless network NetGear There are other people that are on it too and don t have this problem Also I have the new-est NetGear Router And the new-est NetGear Adapter And they should work together Also my Security is on the highest level WPA-SAK I think thats what it called Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 27.09%

Okay, I give up! I've seen several similar posts to my issue and I've tried just about everything suggested to no avail.

I have Vista Home Premium (32-bit). I've had the same laptop/modem/DSL for over a year and everything worked fine, then about a week ago I started getting the local-access-only message and can no longer connect to the internet.

What I've tried:
1) Taking my laptop to another wireless location - same error.
2) Trying an XP laptop on my home wireless - works just fine.
3) Rebooting in Safe Mode - still doesn't work.
4) Deleting the Network adapter drivers and letting windows reinstall - still doesn't work.
5) Going back to the latest windows update and uninstalling it - still doesn't work.
6) Disabling TCP/IPv6

Any other suggestions? I'm out of ideas and quickly losing my patience!

A:Local Access Only

Have you tried the diagnose and repair option in network and sharing center and resetting your router/network adapter?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/200311-local-access-only.html
Relevancy 27.09%

I have a little network going at my house and i've encountered a problem,
here is my network,

Cable modem ----- D-Link 1005D Network Switch ----- DIR-655 and DIR-825
----- Two Laptops and Two Desktops

I got the DIR-655 a while ago and it worked perfectly, I decided to get the
DIR-825 for the 5Ghz band to stream HD/Regular video and play online, I set the routers so they had 2 different default IP's (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2)
and made sure the IP's of the computers on each router didn't conflict, the DIR-655 still works perfectly (Local and Internet), but the DIR-825 only has local access, both have the DHCP server on but no IP's conflict. I made sure either than that all the settings were the same. Can anyone help?

Relevancy 27.09%

In my office clients are working on different projects and some working on same project so i want to use subversion for them.
first of all how can i use subversion ?
Now 2nd problem is i want subversion on my local server pc. so that every client working on a same project can use subversion feature and get updated file whenever they want from server. It will gr8 for me if server pc take backup from all client pc and do subversion on server. when they come next day they can get updated file and also restore from backup.
Is this posible ? I know i ll get good suggestion from you .. so thanx alot in advance

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/how-to-use-svn-with-local-server-668109.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi I got an o broadband standard package The exchange is just across the road from my house My BT master socket is in the Ground floor I have another socket on only!! local help Internet Please the first floor I set up the connection on friday night through the secondary BT socket which is on the first floor It was working fine I tried using the DSL wire Yellow colour and also tried wireless and It worked perfectly fine The next morning I tried to connect to the internet using wireless and It was not working it said local only I tried connecting the Wire and the internet worked with Internet local only!! Please help the wire I phoned o and they said I have to connect my router to the master socket I did that and still NO internet They said they will change some channels in my router and now Internet is not working with the wire aswell Phoned o several times they said i have to open the BT socket and connect it to test line which I did and They saying now that My BT line might has got some problem and I need to phone BT to get it checked There are small computer on the botton right corner next to the time I clicked that and It show that Access Local only I diagnosed so many times reset the settings reset the router still doesnt work Can some one please help please try to use easy term Im not good at computers Thanks Naveed nbsp

A:Internet local only!! Please help

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.
The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/internet-local-only-please-help.754466/
Relevancy 27.09%

I am trying to connect to a Wifi connection but it keeps saying Local only. There is a big red X in between Unidentified network and Internet. I have tried several troubleshooting solutions found on the internet which don't work. They tell me to play around with various DHCP settings, the cmd feature, and setting the settings the way they already are automatically, so that doesn't help. Also some instructions say to boot the computer. This does nothing at all. Can someone give me the correct solution. This happens at some wifi spots but not others so I don't know what I could possibly be doing wrong since I'm not doing anything differently.

Relevancy 27.09%

When I restart my computer, I mow get an error message that my local profile can not be found, so a default profile is loaded.

How can I find and restore my local profile which has all my info and settings?

A:local profile

In this case I would allow for the dafault file to load and possibly try a system restore.

If at all possible try to see if you can find your profile by going to My Computer>Properties>Advance>UserProfiles....

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/local-profile-573261.html
Relevancy 27.09%

hi again-i have currently split my harddrive into 2 partions-c and d.however for some reason another partion has suddenly appeared-local disk f.how can i remove or even better merge this into another partion.i also have an external hard drive-g.

A:new local disk

Open up Disk Management, and check what devices and partitions are listed on the top and the bottom pane. Chances are the extra drive letters are the result of an optical drive, a USB device, a card reader, or a virtual device like a virtual optical drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/new-local-disk-564304.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi everybody,
I'm new in thios forum and new in Windows 7
I have a question, if someone can help me, i will be grateful.
How can i set to my Win 7 local polocies for users.
I want only my user to LogIn in my Computer, and everybody to have access denied

Tanks !

A:Local Policies

Hello Marian, and welcome to Seven Forums.

The easiest way to do this is to only have one user account (yours) on the computer, and create a strong password for it. This way they will not be able to log on to your user account at startup without knowing the password.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/89843-local-policies.html
Relevancy 27.09%

I have recently switch to cable internet from DSL and subsequently got a Cisco Linksys E1000 router. i have run the Easy Setup CD that comes with it both wirelessly as well as connected via ethernet. I have restet the router multiple times and either get an error message saying the setup has failed or setup completes but I can't connect on my laptop. On my last attempt before i gave up to go to sleep last night my wife's laptop (Dell with XP), iPhone, Wii connect fine, but no luck with my Compaq with Windows Vista. Network is detected but local only wirelessly, it works fine when i connect to the router with a spare ethernet cable, any suggestions?

A:Local Only with new router

Hi, when you say local only I take it you mean can only connect to people on your LAN? When connecting wirelesly on the laptop go to start -> run -> enter "cmd" into the dialogue box and click ok, this will open up a black box, within the black box enter "ipconfig /all" and copy and paste the results please

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-only-with-new-router.982017/
Relevancy 27.09%

First of all i d like to say that i have search the site and indeed found some similar problems but not exactly but still i tried what they suggested but nothing worked Here is the thing i have an hp laptop dv with windows vista home premium i am in a residence provided by my university so all i have to do is plug a cable in the wall and in the laptop and im online this actually worked A year later i returned to the same university and tried Local Vista Only the same laptop and for some reason it didn t work i tried about five laptops all with vista and they all can get online just by plugging the cable i tried the ipconfig release and renew but i get an error saying unable to contact dhcp server i Vista Local Only feel the problem is that my laptop cannot get an ip address from the server as its ip add is always Vista Local Only x x i enabled the RIP listner i checked the dhcp service i tried all the ipconfig and netsh commands you can think of uninstall install disable enable network adapter i tried the registery fix but i didn t know what the GUID is so i added the new value to all the things i found in the directory so now i don t know what can i do im really lost s in case you need it Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Tiko gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Tiko-PC Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Broadcom a b g WLAN Physical Address - A- - E- E-D DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller Physical Address - - - - - DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe ad bf a f Preferred Autoconfiguration IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers fec ffff fec ffff fec ffff NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap FFB -E F- -AD -F C F A br A Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap D- B D- A - - C br F Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap C F BE- - ED- - C CC F br F Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users Tiko gt nbsp

Relevancy 27.09%

My wireless internet worked without any problems for well over years and shared the connection between different laptops Just recently was unable to make connection when powering up laptop so did the reset by unplugging the power to router and modem and reconnecting The wireless router power light wouldn t come back on so purchased a new router and installed it My laptop picked up access only Local the connection from the router to the modem but there is a Local access only red X showing up Local access only on the map from the modem to the internet I tried to directly connect to the modem using the LAN cord and all that shows up is connection to an unknown network with local access only I tried connecting my sons laptop using the LAN cord and the internet comes up fine Is there some setting that I may have changed on my computer that is preventing me from accessing the internet via the LAN cord If I can get that to work then I m pretty sure I can get the wireless network set up to work again My laptop is an HP and is running Vista nbsp

Relevancy 27.09%

Greetings,

I live in a small town rural area. Our phone system is a locally owned enterprise which owns all the local lines. A division of this company also owns the CATV and ISP services. The company does not allow competitors to lease lines and offer low-priced ISP services. In short, they have a monopoly on all telecommunications. Lousy dial-up costs about $28 month and low-end DSL about $65 with a $200 equipment purchase.

My question: Is there a technology to allow us to access the internet by bypassing these local lines short of satellite internet? For example, can WIFI skip over their lines and lily-pad to a cheaper service area?

Thanks

Relevancy 27.09%

hi im have a bit of a problem with my computer at home There are desktops and laptop in my house my desktop being the most recent its is a packard bell and i am using a blue next usb dongol to connect to my wireless internet the router for our internet is in my dads room next bedroom to me connectivity Local and for some reason it shows that it is connected to the router but not to the internet S i am really confused Local connectivity and im thinking of just dumpin my computer i have sat on it for days now and it just will not connect there is a wep security which i have typed in and still no luck what i am mainly confused Local connectivity about is that my laptop is connected to it fine its just my computer S when i hover my cursor above the connection symbol on my computer it either says Curentlly connected to unidentified Network lynksis access local only or currently connected to unidentified network lynksis access limited connection can someone plz help me xx nbsp

A:Local connectivity

Remove all the stored wireless profiles on the nonworking machine and search for a new network. See if that gets you connected.

Did this machine ever connect to that router with the current encryption and key? I'd start by disabling all encryption on the router and trying that way.

Another thing is that Vista sometimes has issues with WEP, and it seems worse with 64 bit than 128 bit, at least for me.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/local-connectivity.822204/
Relevancy 27.09%

When trying to connect wirelessly to the internet through my Netgear router (Comcast);
Password protected I can only connect Locally, not internet.When it is not protected I can connect fine.I can connect fine using a wire.But I can't if it's password protected!!!

Can someone help me connect wirelessly to a protected network?

A:Local only - no internet please help

You are going to need a WEP Key to be able to connect to a Protected Network

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/279690-local-only-no-internet-please-help.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Hi, i am just configuring my first back up using paragon free edition and it shows a local disc holding about 6bg of something. I do not know what it is on it or how to access it or whether I need to back in up in addition to my HDD. My HDD and my external hard drive are the only ones which appear in "my computer"

Any help would be appreciated

Many Thanks

Andy

A:Local disc ????

Quote: Originally Posted by Andyonline

Hi, i am just configuring my first back up using paragon free edition and it shows a local disc holding about 6bg of something. I do not know what it is on it or how to access it or whether I need to back in up in addition to my HDD. My HDD and my external hard drive are the only ones which appear in "my computer"

Any help would be appreciated

Many Thanks

Andy

Could be a backup partition...such as an OEM partition used to restore your computer to factory settings....

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/42379-local-disc.html
Relevancy 27.09%

Hello I today purchased a laptop and run it on a home And soon a Univesity LAN While I am within range of my networks I wish to be able to securely access the files on my main machine Note PC Has TB of storage laptop has GB Usually I would be fine with the usual FTP or open file sharing through Windows VPN? Setting a local up route but the files I will have available and editable will be my work and most of my documents Obviously I wouldn t want those edited or deleted and FTP is tedious and I would want direct editing I hear it is possible to set up a VPN within a LAN under Setting up a local VPN? Windows Vista but I searched to littl avail So how do I set up Setting up a local VPN? a VPN through a LAN I know a little about routing and networking so just a point in the right direction may be enough The issue here is that I ve never set up a VPN before Or is there an easier way to securely share my files through single network between two computers that I have exclusive access to Thank you in advance nbsp

Relevancy 27.09%

When you add a second clock to the menu, the main time says "Local Time" and the others whatever you named them. Is it possible to change "Local Time" so I don't have to add more clocks and can use the main one?

Also is it possible to add more then 2 additional clocks?

A:Local Time

Hello Copyright,

You cannot change the name "Local Time", but you can change your Time Zone to have a different time as your main time if that is what you meant.

You can add more than 2 additional clocks with a gadget.

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/5977-local-time.html