Windows Support Forum

HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing?

Q: HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing?

Ok here s the history of the problem I have GB Hard drive quot Samsung sp c quot and I am using it since two years with my old desktop system with this S M A R T error at the startup BIOS TWO YEARS BACK I think there are some bad sectors involved at the last part of the HDD space There were partitions initially I e C D E amp F The problem started with partition #83" attribute "1720-SMART failure failing? drive detects imminent hard failed: ... HDD error F with following issues Always took so long copying files into F System got stuck up when some file s folder s from F drive were opened and then automatic restart That time ran CHKDSK on F drive but in the middle of scanning it always restarted the PC automatically Sometimes system restarted when I was copying some HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing? random data in the F partition Whenever this restart thing happened at the start up it displayed that there is no primary hard drive detected Then eventually it came back live after - attempts always I also deleted the Partition F and then recreated the partition but same problems persisted YEAR BACK Due to above issues HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing? I left the partition F as it was and used others like C D amp E but an year before the partition E started to do things same way F was doing and at that point F was not accessible with error popping The disk is not formatted Do you want to format it now I formatted the partition F and ran following HDD tools afterwards Partition Table Doctor HDD Regenerator Surface tests for C D E was fine but when it started scanning the HDD somewhere in F partition area these tools messed up with something took so long stuck at sectors for long time without repairing it MONTHS BACK I came to know that there are some serious issues in the HDD sectors inside the last GB part of HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing? the hard disk I made partitions C D E F G The G partition was for GB space and I never opened this drive since I created it because this will cause same problem what the F was doing before NOW I don t have much issues with C D E amp F while operating them Don t use F too much to be at safe side But I feel that HDD is very slow overall and and every time I turn this system on I get quot -SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure Attribute failed quot Wondering if it could be fixed or not and I know and understand that my hard disk was failing ever since and most of you guys will advice to back up and purchase a new one but I am still on to fix this one and as if there s any way to get it right up Many Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: HDD error "1720-SMART hard drive detects imminent failure attribute failed: #83" ... failing?

The fundamentals still apply:

for every partition ?X?
chkdsk ?X? /f /r​
The /R will remap bad sectors in an effort to avoid future I/o errors.

a} fix all partitions
b} get the SMART data and save it for reverence (it will not be reset to zero by chkdsk)
c} view the SMART data every day
d} look for increasing statistics

PLAN on getting a new HDD asap

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-error-1720-smart-hard-drive-detects-imminent-failure-attribute-failed-83-failing.190152/
Relevancy 214.52%

Ok here s the history of the problem I have GB Hard drive quot Samsung sp c quot and I am using it since two Drive #83" "1720-SMART imminent Attribute failure Hard failed: HDD error detects years HDD error "1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure Attribute failed: #83" with my old desktop system with this S M A R T error at the startup BIOS TWO YEARS BACK I think there are some bad sectors involved at the last part of the HDD space There were partitions initially i e C D E amp F The problem started with partition F with following issues Always took so long copying files into F System got stuck up when some file s folder s from F drive were opened and then automatic restart That time ran CHKDSK on F drive but in the middle of scanning it always restarted the PC automatically Sometimes system restarted when I was copying some random data in the F partition Whenever this restart thing happened at the start up it displayed that there is no primary hard drive detected Then eventually it came back live after - attempts always I also deleted the Partition F and then recreated the partition but same problems persisted YEAR BACK Due to above issues I left the partition F as it was and used others like C D amp E but an year before the partition E started to do things same way F was doing and at that point F was not accessible with error popping The disk is not formatted Do you want to format it now I formatted the partition F and ran following HDD tools afterwards Partition Table Doctor HDD Regenerator Surface tests for C D E was fine but when it started scanning the HDD somewhere in F partition area these tools messed up with something took so long stuck at sectors for long time without repairing it MONTHS BACK I came to know that there are some serious issues in the HDD sectors inside the last GB part of the hard disk I made partitions C D E F G The G partition was for GB space and I never opened this drive since I created it because this will cause same problem what the F was doing before NOW I don t have much issues with C D E amp F while operating them Don t use F too much to be at safe side But I feel that HDD is very slow overall and and every time I turn this system on I get quot -SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure Attribute failed quot Wondering if it could be fixed or not and I know and understand that my hard disk was failing ever since and most of you guys will advice to back up and purchase a new one but I am still on to fix this one and as if there s any way to get it right up Many Thanks nbsp

A:HDD error "1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure Attribute failed: #83"

You can't "fix" bad sectors.

You can however, decide if it's worth spending anymore time on an old 80GB hard drive with bad sectors that can fail at any moment.
Whatever your time is worth to you, only you can decide.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hdd-error-1720-smart-hard-drive-detects-imminent-failure-attribute-failed-83.1090859/
Relevancy 168.95%

I keep getting this error message at boot up, have performed a back up and computer operating ok.  do i need to replace hard drive.  I have external hard drive I disconnected from the all in one due to another error message indicating windows detected hard disc problem WDC WD5000AAKX-6OU6AAO Volume:C:/D:/

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/1720-smart-hard-drive-detects-imminent-failure-attribute/td-p/5734478
Relevancy 141.98%

I have a 466 mhz Compaq Deskpro with Windows 2000 loaded on it. When I boot the computer I get the following message: "1720-smart hard drive detects imminent failure. Your hard drive is detecting an imminent failure. To ensure no data loss, backup contents and replace this hard disk."
I've tried 3 different hard drives, flashed the bios, upgraded the bios and yet the error message still remains. When I hit F1 the system boots into Win 2k fine. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this error would be appreciated.

A:1720-SMART hard drive detects an imminent failure

go into your bios and disable the SMART drive feature for a few days, and then re-enable it. Just a guess, but it can't hurt.

Good luck,
Richard

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/1720-smart-hard-drive-detects-an-imminent-failure.86471/
Relevancy 141.98%

Alright - My wife has had my computer for the last six months while I ve been working away from home When I get back to it it s hanging up periodically It would be a random hang up EXCEPT when I would run Disk Scan - then it would ALWAYS hang So over the weekend I tried running Disk Defrag SMART imminent hard 1720 drive detects - failure When I got back home to it my cursor was blinking in the top left corner of a 1720 - SMART hard drive detects imminent failure blank monitor I removed the drive and brought it to work where I have access to some crack IT guys Looks like my boot sector is visible but there is no directory tree to access files and I can t even seem to get a letter assignment out of the drive Took it to Circuit City with the same results Then took it across the street to a shady little place called Dr Dan From a back room he claimed that he got it to boot to the desktop three times in a row but then could not access any programs The error - SMART hard drive detect imminent failure Attribute I m sure the drive is close to full failure I d like to get the data off of it and onto a clean new HD but if I can t even see the drive am I hosed em My computer eMachines T OS Win XP Home Memory MB HD GB WD Any help would be greatly appreciated Money IS an issue TIME is NOT I ll do anything until my options run out but I don t want to have to spend Thanks in advance Jim

A:1720 - SMART hard drive detects imminent failure

Hi VentureForth,Pro hard drive recovery is VERY expensive. That doesn't sound like an option. I have had some success using Norton's system works. It can look at the drive and see if things can be recovered. Your local guys may have done that. You can try to boot to a DOS boot disk and navigate over to you data. The key there is drive recognition. All Windows/DOS fixes need to at least see the drive. I would also take a shot with the manufacturer's software. Western Digital has data lifeguard tools. Let me also point you here: Leurgy's hard drive postThis post has all types of hard drive info. As a last resort, try hard drive CPR. Don't laugh, I have seen this work many times. With the computer OFF, remove the hard drive and rap it on the side (The side 90 degrees from where you plug it in - not on its top or bottom). When the drive has ran for long periods of time and then gets cut off for an extended period, I have seen the drive arm get stuck in the parked position. This is a do at your own risk thing and should be done only when you are sure the drive has to be replaced.Question to you... Is the hard drive clicking as it tries to start?Good luck, Rigel

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/31916/1720-smart-hard-drive-detects-imminent-failure/
Relevancy 122.45%

When I boot up, I am getting this message "1720 Hard Drive detects imminent failures". I did a Google search and learned (through computerhope.com/issues/ch000184.htm) that Compaq has S.M.A.R.T. and this message comes from that. Could it be that there is a glitch in SMART? It mentioned a patch. Will my hard drive actually fail? My computer is 5 years old.
Please help me.
Gloria

Relevancy 120.9%

hello my computer started this morning with a black screen that said quot SMART failure predicted on hard disk -S M A R T hard drive detects imminent failure back up contents of hard drive and run HDD self test failure" drive detects "Hard imminent in F to continue quot What do I do I need your help ASAP please please please "Hard drive detects imminent failure" Veronica here is the hijack this log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe C "Hard drive detects imminent failure" Program Files HPQ One-Touch OneTouch EXE C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator DragToDisc DrgToDsc exe C WINDOWS System carpserv exe C Program Files Common Files InstallShield UpdateService issch exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr Acrotray exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe C Program Files McGill NetConnect ArubaService exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus DefWatch exe C WINDOWS system HPConfig exe "Hard drive detects imminent failure" C Program Files HPQ Notebook Utilities HPWirelessMgr exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C WINDOWS System MsPMSPSv exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C WINDOWS System wuauclt exe C Documents and Settings Veronica Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www hotmail com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName F - REG system ini UserInit userinit exe N - Netscape user pref quot browser search defaultengine quot quot engine C A CProgram Files CNetscape CNetscape Csearchplugins CSBWeb src quot C Documents and Settings Veronica Application Data Mozilla Profiles default s q r slt prefs js O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - BHO AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - AE CD -E - f- - EE - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS System msdxm ocx O - Toolbar Adobe PDF - -D C - - FA - E EAAC - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Acrobat AcroIEFavClient dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run ATIModeChange Ati mdxx exe O - HKLM Run ATIPTA quot C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI Control Panel atiptaxx exe quot O - HKLM Run TV Now quot C Program Files HPQ Notebook Utilities TvNow exe quot RK O - HKLM Run Display Settings quot C Program Files HPQ Notebook Utilities hptasks exe quot s O - HKLM Run QT HPOT quot C Program Files HPQ One-Touch OneTouch EXE quot O - HKLM Run SynTPLpr quot C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe quot O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh quot C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe quot O - HKLM Run RoxioEngineUtility quot C Program Files Common Files Roxio Shared System EngUtil exe quot O - HKLM Run RoxioDragToDisc quot C Program Files Roxio Easy CD Creator DragToDisc DrgToDsc exe quot O - HKLM Run Cpqset C Program Files HP... Read more

A:"Hard drive detects imminent failure"

hello again, now it is posting that message everytime i start my computer. here is a more recent hijack this log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 9:02:48 AM, on 5/5/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe
C:\Program Files\McGill NetConnect 2.0\ArubaService.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\One-Touch\OneTouch.EXE
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\ALUSchedulerSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 6\DragToDisc\DrgToDsc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\carpserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\DefWatch.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Distillr\Acrotray.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPConfig.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\SYMANT~1\VPTray.exe
C:\Program Files\HPQ\Notebook Utilities\HPWirelessMgr.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\MSN Messenger\MsnMsgr.Exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\SavRoam.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Symantec AntiVirus\Rtvscan.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WLLoginProxy.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Veronica\Desktop\HijackThis.exe

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.hotmail.com/
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
F2 - REG:system.ini: UserInit=userinit.exe
N3 - Netscape 7: user_pref("browser.search.defaultengine", "engine://C%3A%5CProgram%20Files%5CNetscape%5CNetscape%5Csearchplugins%5CSBWeb_01.src"); (C:\Documents and Settings\Veronica\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\default\s5q3462r.slt\prefs.js)
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {7E853D72-626A-48EC-A868-BA8D5E23E045} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEToolbarHelper Class - {AE7CD045-E861-484f-8273-0445EE161910} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O3 - Toolbar: Adobe PDF - {47833539-D0C5-4125-9FA8-0819E2EAAC93} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Acrobat\AcroIEFavClient.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIModeChange] Ati2mdxx.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATIPTA] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI Control Panel\atiptaxx.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TV Now] "C:\Program Files\HPQ\Notebook Utilities\TvNow.exe" /RK
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Display Settings] "C:\Program Files\HPQ\Notebook Utilities\hptasks.exe" /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QT4HPOT] "C:\Program Files\HPQ\One-Touch\OneTouch.EXE"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPLpr] "C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPLpr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-detects-imminent-failure.709264/
Relevancy 120.9%

hello
everytime i start my computer a black screen comes up that says "hard drive detects imminent failure. 1720-S.M.A.R.T hard drive detects imminent failure, back up all contents, run an HDD self-test in F2". What do I do? it is running very slow and crashing a lot. please please please help ASAP!

veronica

A:"Hard drive detects imminent failure"

Hi Veronica,

I would suggest copying anything you value off of the hard drive right away. S.M.A.R.T. is short for "Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology" that is built into many hard disk drives. Your hard drive may be telling you that it may fail completely (as in total loss of all contents) at any time.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-detects-imminent-failure.709817/
Relevancy 112.53%

Dear, 1720-SMART Hard Drive detects iminent failure.Failing Drive: SATA0 (DARK BLUE)Failing Attribute: #184

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Commercial-PC-Software/1720-SMART-Hard-Drive-detects-iminent-failure/td-p/5474156
Relevancy 99.2%

I've just built a new computer that has a 2nd hand HDD as the secondary drive. It was causing messages to appear like "Hard drive failure imminent - do you want to back up the drive". Since I was still setting up everything on the primary drive I disabled the messages by clicking "Do not show these messages again". Now I realise I should enable the message and remove the offending HDD. I'm running windows 8.1.

How do I re-enable these messages?

A:How to enable "Hard Drive Failure Imminent" messages

Hi chrisg42,

Any chance you unchecked this Maintenance Option in the Action Center. i can't say for sure but it might be worth checking. seems like it might be somehow tied to a periodic SMART check:

Action Center Messages - Turn On or Off in Windows 8

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/33283-how-enable-hard-drive-failure-imminent-messages.html
Relevancy 98.58%

I have a computer where it receives an error message upon startup from the SMART monitoring predicting that the primary master may have imminent hard imminent error drive failure message SMART failure and to please back up all data Then it states to press F to continue or DELETE to enter setup If you press F it just reloads the same page and error SMART imminent hard drive failure error message message Press DELETE and you go into the BIOS No where are you given an option nor will the computer boot normally into windows Also unable to boot into Safe Mode I went into the BIOS to disable the SMART monitoring in case that was preventing the computer from booting into Windows Lo and behold SMART is already disabled I enabled it and then rebooted Same message same problem unable to boot into Windows Went into BIOS and disabled SMART no change upon reboot The computer seems to be in this error loop with no option to boot into Windows XP The user has not backed up any files since March We need to access the hard drive in order to do a back up This all happened after the user did Windows updates and then the computer automatically shut down for a reboot At this time I don't have a boot disk for it I went into the Recovery Console on the Windows XP CD to look at the bootfile When I tried to look at the boot list Bootcfg list is says there are none When I attempted to rebuild bootcfg rebuild I got an error message and then it failed Does anyone have any suggestions on how to boot the computer into windows Also can I restore to a previous restore point from the BIOS Or is there some way to fix the hard drive failure error message we keep getting Thanks for any help

A:SMART imminent hard drive failure error message

Hi celkiar04 and welcome to TSF !

The best solution would be to attach the drive to another computer. Is this a laptop or a desktop ? Is this a SATA or an IDE drive ?

If it's a regular 3.5'' drive then simply hook it as a slave on another computer. If it's a 2.5'' laptop drive then you'll need a 2.5'' USB enclosure or a 2.5'' to 3.5'' IDE adapter.

Once you've backed up your files, you can run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility on the hard drive, though usually when you start getting S.M.A.R.T. error messages the only option left is to replace the drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/smart-imminent-hard-drive-failure-error-message-205338.html
Relevancy 97.96%

Well I finally bought a new harddrive to replace my failing drive however when I tried to use the Data Lifeguard tools to duplicate the data from the old drive to the new one it failed The drive so far still works though access time is slow and all sighs show that its starting to fail the HD diognostic disk showed that the data error ratio and seek time are in the critical range Now roughly of the data 1720: Failure Imminent Detected Drive Hard on the drive I dont really care if it is lost since most of the data is programs that I still have the original cds for and can 1720: Detected Hard Drive Failure Imminent just as easily re-install However the other is data I do not have backed up Yes yes I know im stupid for not making backups in any way and I really dont want to loose data like school projects passwords accounts personal art programming projects etc THIS data I cannot afford to loose if I can help it And data recovery is out of the question I coule buy three new pcs for the price of one standard data recovery Now that you know the background of my problem heres my questions I started a through scandisk itll take a few hours the drive is GB Smart idea or Stupid idea on a drive that is near-failure I know there is no DEFINATE time but roughly how much time do I have until the drive fails so bad that I cant even access the data on it anymore If even after the scandisk I cant duplicate the drive my next plan is to make it master and my new drive the slave then to manually drag and copy the critial files on my drive After I copy my non-backed up files this way if I can I plan to copy the files on the root of the drive the windows directory and the program files directory if I do this will windows be able to boot without re-installing If not what else do I have to copy to make it boot nbsp

A:1720: Detected Hard Drive Failure Imminent

Just a thought, rather than strain the old drive. Put the new one in as master (for now leave the old one unhooked but set it to slave while in there). Install all your software on the new drive. Once this is done, hook the old one as a slave and copy your data to the new one. The old one could fail at any time and this may be the best chance of saving the data.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/1720-detected-hard-drive-failure-imminent.112083/
Relevancy 97.96%

Hey Well i was just cruising the web watching a TV show online normal like always then there was a power outage minutes later when the power came back up i turned Is "Hard Imminent" Drive Failure on the computer Wasnt responding so restarted eventually after waiting minutes at the start screen a message came on the screen Reading at the bottem quot Please back up your hard drive failure is imminent quot well along those lines Bottem line is its saying my hard drive failing is imminent Is that true Should i do what it says and take my computer to the shop im really short on cash Iv got some inportant files on my computer though that i cant lose What should i do Has this ever happend to you Also iv got a spare GB HD thats not installed because the case is too small Is there any way i can back up all my info on that if i have to Thanks nbsp

A:"Hard Drive Failure Is Imminent"

When SMART tells you to start backing up, you better start backing up. You can buy an external enclosure pretty cheap, put the 500GB drive in an enclosure to back up your files.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-failure-is-imminent.806738/
Relevancy 97.65%

Hi! I'm wondering if anyone can help me.

On booting the computer the other day the S.M.A.R.T diagnostic program suddenly came on saying that a "hard drive failure may be imminent", when I open up Intel Matrix storage console it says that the hard drive in port 0 has had a S.M.A.R.T event recorded against it but the one in port. 2 is"normal".

Is port 0 the volume with the operating system on it and if so what would be the best way to back up the drive and does anyone know how to change the hard drive and how much approximatly would this cost ?.

Thanks for any help inadvance.
Paul.

A:Satellite Pro P200 - Smart error "Hard drive failure imminent"

Hi!

In my opinion you should backup all data as fast as possible. In worst case you could the HDD could completely die and then you are not able to backup the data on it.

After this you should exchange the HDD. It?s depending on the HDD model that you buy how much it will cost but HDDs are not so expensive these days. I think it be possible to get one for 50 Euros.

Bye

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?47243-Satellite-Pro-P200-Smart-error-Hard-drive-failure-imminent
Relevancy 91.76%

So when I startup the computer, or any restart from an install, I get this message...
1170 Hard Drive detects immenent failure, F1 to boot, F10 to setup...
I just hit F1, and everything has worked thus far, but no telling how many more times I can bypass this thing with no f**kup...

Anyone have anything like this before??
Know how to fix it.

I have already run the scandisk util, with no success...
Thanks.

A:1170 Hard Drive Detects Imminent Failure, F1 to boot, F10 to Setup

First I`d back everything up,and then download some diagnostic tools,either from the maker of your HD or here- http://tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/1170-hard-drive-detects-imminent-failure-f1-to-boot-f10-to-setup.42870/
Relevancy 88.97%

My aunt sent me the following email outlining a problem she s having again with her hard drive This same thing has happened before maybe a year or two ago and she had to replace the hard drive quot I m afraid my hard drive is failing again It s been running slower and Slooooower and harder to get booted up This morning I got the DOS message again that the Master Hard Disk SMART Hard SMART Drive imminent status bad failure Solved: - status was bad and failure imminent Is there a problem in the computer that s quot killing quot the hard drives I have backed everything up I think on the external drive which is Gig BTW so won t be devastated if there s nothing we can do I m afraid to turn it off now It still does some things O K although quite slowly Solved: Hard Drive SMART status bad - failure imminent Is there anything I can do to save Solved: Hard Drive SMART status bad - failure imminent it quot She has an fairly new eMachine I can get the exact model and other specs if it would help I know she has GB of RAM Could there be some problem with the motherboard or other component that would cause the gradual demise of two different hard drives the original and now this replacement Any suggestions are greatly appreciated Thank You nbsp

Relevancy 81.53%

I was copying cut and paste data from one external hard drive a GB IDE Maxtor in a Adaptec USB enclosure to another external a GB IDE Samsung in a Roswill USB enclosure During the move During this move my Thinkpad T p encountered a NMI Parity error to which I m still unsure what caused it though I think it may have been my Dock II screwing stuff up I did memtest times over and my memory passed so I am assuming its my Dock II ANYWAYS So the NMI Parity error "Hard Catastrophic is dawn" Failure" or Drive before night darkest "The was a blue screen and I restarted the computer After the restart I noticed the Maxtor external hard drive was missing from my drive list and in disk management it show as an uninitialized disk Okay no biggie I ve dealt with this before I tried using GetDataBack for NTFS that failed to recover Also failed were Active Partition recovery Data Doctor Recovery File Recovery Restorer TestDisk and ZAR I m guessing my Master File Table is trashed and I can t recover it Does anyone have any ideas nbsp

A:"Hard Drive Catastrophic Failure" or "The night is darkest before dawn"

Zar should have recovered it (if the data is recoverable)
Also (you may already realize this now) in future Copy and paste

More recovery tools here

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-catastrophic-failure-or-the-night-is-darkest-before-dawn.113336/
Relevancy 81.22%

Hello,

I need help with this Diskette issue please. "Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure"
I've had this problem a few times in a couple of years and I have been able to fix the error by pressing F2 and going to the SETUP. And I've done this with no issues. But this time I thought I fixed it but now I get this new error: "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". After I press Ctrl+Alt+Del it takes me back to the same error massage "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". Need help please. This is a Dell Desktop, Windows XP.
Thank you.

Sue

A:"Diskette Drive 0 Seek Failure" Error Then "A disk read error occurred Press Ctrl..."

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/diskette-drive-0-seek-failure-error-then-a-disk-read-error-occurred-press-ctrl.1112549/
Relevancy 108.36%

I received Failure FAilure Drive Hard Error Seek Imminent Rate Imminent Warning on April nbsp nbsp I don't know but thought you might find this interesting I have backed up my hard drive several times since the first warning nbsp I downloaded and used Hard Drive FAilure Imminent Seek Error Rate the Hard Drive Sentinel and it said that my hard drive performance was Excellent but that it was about to fail and I had a health of and zero days left before it failed for several days in a row nbsp I have kept a daily log of what I have done and what warnings I keep getting over and over since April nbsp nbsp This is the second year in a row this has happened in the same month but then went away for a year nbsp After a few days on for some inexplicable reason when I turned on my computer and it booted up I did not receive a full page warning or have to hit F To continue before I logged in nbsp Then the Hard Drive Sentinel came on the screen as it always does and tells me that performance is Excellent and the Health is Excellent and that I have more than days remaining on it no problematic sectors and no data transfer errors and that NO Actions were Necessary nbsp Everything was just all of a sudden Hunky Dorey again nbsp It continued this way until nbsp On the Same Warning appeared again and continues to this day nbsp Hard Drive Sentinel says that it is the seek error rate indicates problem with the servo high head temperatures can also cause this problem nbsp Since this happened twice now once a full year ago this month and then went away can anyone tell me what to do or how to prevent this nbsp Or how to fix it nbsp Or do I have to purchase another Hard Drive nbsp This one is only two years old nbsp I hope my explanation and question are not too convoluted nbsp

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Hard-Drive-FAilure-Imminent-Seek-Error-Rate/td-p/5614575
Relevancy 108.36%

April I received a Failure Imminent warning about my Hard Drive nbsp I bought a new blank one and was going to replace it but the warning went away and I ran SMART tests and they said Hard Drive was fine nbsp One year later nbsp April I received a Failure Imminent warning about & Hard Drive "Failure tha... Error warning Suspicious Imminent" my Hard Drive nbsp I ran SMART tests they said the same nbsp nbsp I cleaned up the nbsp drive and deleted programs installed Hard Drive Sentinel nbsp Disk Performance was nbsp Health nbsp nbsp Five Days later FOR NO APPARENT REASON the Hard Drive nbsp Performance nbsp and nbsp Health was nbsp NO FAILURE IMMINENT WARNING NO FAILURE IMMINENT WARNING nbsp Hard Drive Sentinel statistics were Excellent at for six days then I got the Failure Imminent warning again nbsp Failure Predicted--Attribute Seek Error Rate Rate of Suspicious Hard Drive Error & "Failure Imminent" warning tha... positioning errors of the read write heads nbsp Indicate problems with servo head nbsp High Temperatures can also cause this problem nbsp Temp was degrees nbsp Celsius nbsp Replace Hard Drive Immediately nbsp My question is nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Since it did this a year ago and recovered by itself and lasted a full year before giving the same warning in the same month and then recovered for several days and then gave the same warning again nbsp Is there something I can do to fix the servo head nbsp or nbsp reduce the temperature nbsp nbsp or do I have to just replace the Hard Drive nbsp nbsp such nbsp a pain to start all over again as I replaced the Hard Drive years ago with a reconditioned one nbsp This all just seems so very odd and suspicious as Microsoft has been relentless in its pursuit to get me to update to Windows which I refuse nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Suspicious-Hard-Drive-Error-amp-quot-Failure-Imminent-quot/td-p/5616989
Relevancy 107.5%

Okay I m on a sony VAIO desktop model PCV-RX running WinXP with a ghz processor with mb of RAM and two been failure "Sysem but for weeks! this it's saying two Imminent".. hard drives C and D Recently like in the last two weeks it s been giving me a warning as I boot up saying essentially quot Failure may be imminent Immediately back up data and replace hard drive quot Then you have to press F to "Sysem failure Imminent".. but it's been saying this for two weeks! continue I know i m dumb for not having done what it said immediately but I can t help but feel like this is some sort "Sysem failure Imminent".. but it's been saying this for two weeks! of prank I ve had the quot blue screen of death quot one pulled on me a few times by various friends Before all this I had downloaded a few small programs for personal use that turned out to be quot empty quot That is I opened them and a small box popped up and then dissappeared I ran a full virus scan Nothing If it is a fake then this would be where it came from But then it might NOT be a fake Aaargh The fact is that it s been showing this error message for nearly two weeks and nothing s happened Not even a flicker in the system Everything s running fine I don t know what on earth would have caused a problem so serious that I would need to get a new hard drive and not even cause a wrinkle or in the visible OS I m running and error-check on both drives as we speak so maybe that ll come up with something Why would this happen Does anyone have any advice -Peanut nbsp

A:"Sysem failure Imminent".. but it's been saying this for two weeks!

probably not a prank as the warning pops up so early.
found this:
S.M.A.R.T. monitors the disk's performance, bad sectors, calibration, CRC errors, disk spin up time, distance between the head and the disk, temperature, features of medium, heads, motor or servomechanism. In all, over 35 attributes are covered by S.M.A.R.T. When errors for a particular category exceed a threshold defined by S.M.A.R.T., the BIOS or the S.M.A.R.T. application will display a warning message, which might look like this:

WARNING: Immediately back up your data and replace your hard disk drive. A failure may be imminent.

The failure may then be logged in the hard drive's firmware, and return a negative health status to the system. At such a point, it is usually a good idea to check that your drive has not overheated, and to perform an immediate backup.

S.M.A.R.T. Phase-II is a set of extensions to the original S.M.A.R.T. specifications designed to improve failure prediction accuracy. Also known as SMART Off-Line, the failure prediction diagnostics may take several seconds or even minutes to run and therefore should only be initiated when the hard drive is not servicing user I/O requests. There are two different techniques or commands for executing Off-Line Diagnostics. The first technique is "Off-Line Immediate" which starts a single off-line failure prediction diagnostic run in the drive upon command receipt. The second technique is "Off-line" automatic which regularly schedules failure prediction diagnostic to runs at timed intervals when I/O activity to the drive is quiet. Upon completion of any failure prediction diagnostic run, the firmware permanently records updated SMART failure prediction information on the drive. If a user I/O request is received by the device while running an Off-line diagnostic, the diagnostic is terminated within two seconds such that the I/O request may complete in a timely fashion.

S.M.A.R.T. is also known as Predictive Failure Analysis (PFA), which is used in IBM technology, while Compaq, the first to implement this technology, calls it Drive Failure Prediction (DFP).

Note that S.M.A.R.T. can slightly reduce the performance of your hard drive, as well as very occasionally causing strange hard drive problems. However, early warning of failure may well be worth the very minor performance trade off.

All current hard drives from all manufacturers, both IDE and SCSI, feature S.M.A.R.T. support in firmware Activating BIOS Support is generally found in the BIOS under Advanced Configuration or under individual IDE device settings.

you can switch it off in the bios if your sure its a fals alarm...maybe switching it off and then back on will re-set it?

good luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sysem-failure-imminent-but-its-been-saying-this-for-two-weeks.115339/
Relevancy 105.78%

Hi Everyone I'm hoping to get some help I had a power outage while my WD Elements TB Hard drive was on I wasn't accessing it but apparently that was enough I had a lot of important data on it but losing External "Bad failure. after Hard power disk" Drive failure hope after unsuccessful attempts to use PhotoRec to get items off it It doesn't show as accessible in MyComputer but is detected I've included what it shows under the quot Manage quot view of the drive I've also tried MiniTool Partition but it doesn't seem to be able to fix the partition I've also tried Partition Bad Disk and it just shows the whole TB drive as one bad block It won't let me fix it either Does anyone have any other bits of advice I'm at a loss as what to do It seems the data is not recoverable I can't figure out how to get it to show or even how to use it again Please see attachments I'm grateful for any ideas help please Thank you

A:External Hard Drive failure. "Bad disk" after power failure

Hello dime5150. Welcome to the forum

In PW, did you try "Rebuild MBR"?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/348517-external-hard-drive-failure-bad-disk-after-power-failure.html
Relevancy 105.35%

Hey guys Recently my computer's been having an infinite reboot issue so I looked on various websites on how to fix said problem Each website I went to directed me towards the alt F method but whenever I try to use this method it says quot Please wait a moment quot for about - minutes then gives me an error report saying quot ERROR failed to copy napp exe to ram quot So far I've Tried to reset my CMOS to "ERROR: Alt+F10 Failure Aspire Acer copy to ram" napp7.exe failed to - default did not work Tried to go to Advanced Boot Options laptop just kept restarting Tried to see if my D D recovery was enabled in BIOS it was Tried to use alt F did not work I really don't Acer Aspire Alt+F10 Failure - "ERROR: failed to copy napp7.exe to ram" have the time or money at the moment to buy a recovery disk hopefully it can be voided so I Acer Aspire Alt+F10 Failure - "ERROR: failed to copy napp7.exe to ram" was wondering if a Anyone had another troubleshooting tip or b If anyone knew how to fix the alt f method I tried Thanks in advance

A:Acer Aspire Alt+F10 Failure - "ERROR: failed to copy napp7.exe to ram"

Quote: Originally Posted by isohix

Hey guys. Recently my computer's been having an infinite reboot issue, so I looked on various websites on how to fix said problem. Each website I went to directed me towards the alt + F10 method, but whenever I try to use this method it says "Please wait a moment..." for about 10 - 20 minutes then gives me an error report saying "ERROR: failed to copy napp7.exe to ram."

So far I've...
Tried to reset my CMOS to default, did not work.
Tried to go to Advanced Boot Options, laptop just kept restarting.
Tried to see if my D2D recovery was enabled in BIOS, it was.
Tried to use alt+F10, did not work.

I really don't have the time or money at the moment to buy a recovery disk (hopefully it can be voided), so I was wondering if
a.) Anyone had another troubleshooting tip.
or
b.) If anyone knew how to fix the alt+f10 method I tried.

Thanks in advance.

It looks like your recovery partition is corrupted. You never want to rely on the recovery partition, because if your hard drive fails, the recovery partition goes down with it. The erecovery manager should've prompted you to make the recovery discs when you first started up the computer. It doesn't cost any money to make them. Since you don't havbe erecovery discs, it looks like you are going to have to clean install Windows 7 (which I prefer because it doesn't have all of the bloatware that you would have if you ran erecovery) To clean install Windows 7 on your computer, please follow this tutorial and post back with any questions: Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/234032-acer-aspire-alt-f10-failure-error-failed-copy-napp7-exe-ram.html
Relevancy 104.49%

Yesterday when I switch on my computer it automatic diskcheck on my E disk I have HDD which is C My main partition installed Windows on this HDD D is for all my game files Installed games and E is for all my music movies unreadable" Hard failing? is segment disk Error record is message"File game installer software etc So back to the point when I switch on my computer and get to the quot Windows is Starting Hard disk is failing? Error message"File record segment is unreadable" quot and it stuck right there for about - minutes Firstly I have no patient so I restated the computer and second or third time also have the same problem So I choose to wait patiently after - minutes it have a black screen for about to a few minutes then it started the disk check on my E drive Once the process started I have total file record as shown on the disk check and continue to file record it started to give me message stated quot File record segment is unreadable Hard disk is failing? Error message"File record segment is unreadable" File record segment is unreadable quot and so on and sometimes it continue to go smoothly without the message but not long or sooner it will appear again Almost the whole process I get these message which worried me and I wonder if my hard disk is failing badly and unable to recover It continues to finish the process and attempt to fix the bad sector And after that it successfully log onto Windows so I can use it normally again But I notice my E HDD cannot access and the quot My Computer quot screen is loading very slow and sometimes goes unrespond One thing very weird is that after I few hours I log on to Windows it pop up a message saying quot Do you want to scan and fix Removable Drive quot Then I choose to scan and fix it and it goes the same process which scanning the file record and everything and it fixes some bad sector I done two things with the statement I said on top Red colour word first I did not run the scanning and fixing and continue to use my Windows the second attempt was I do the scanning and fixing When everything is done I can see that quot My Computer quot runs is a little bit faster when I double click on quot My Computer quot but it doesn't remains long After I few test or trying to access to the E HDD everything back to the same problem again I cannot access the HDD again So what should I do about it I haven't restarted my PC for now when I posted this post because I still want to use my computer so I'm waiting for reply I hope you guys can help me out Here is my computer spec Code Operating System Windows Professional -bit Build Service Pack win sp gdr - Motherboard Asus P H -M BIOS BIOS Date Ver Processor Intel R Core TM i - CPU GHz CPUs GHz Memory MB RAM DirectX Version DirectX If I miss out any information please inform me and sorry for the long story take your time to understand my situation Thank you

A:Hard disk is failing? Error message"File record segment is unreadable"

The "File record segment xxx is unreadable" error is an indication of failing hard drive. You should backup the data from this drive before it's too late.

Next, run some diagnostic testing on the failing hard drive; most HDD manufacturers have the diagnostic software available from their website. Software from Seagate will work with most brand.

If this drive would be mine, I'd just get a new one, the drive certainly will not get better...

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/256331-hard-disk-failing-error-message-file-record-segment-unreadable.html
Relevancy 102.77%

I'm trying to check the health of my hard drive, but I'm not certain what the best way is.

I have a hard drive (manufacturer unknown, though I believe it is a Seagate 250Gig HD) that supposedly has SMART technology built it.

BIOS check confirmed that it was enabled.

However, I've downloaded several disk check software tools that don't recognize that the C: drive is there, or that it has SMART ability.

It is also SCSI.

Any suggestions?

Relevancy 102.77%

Hello,
I can't reload Win 7 on this nice old Latitude E4200. 
Repair and reload from restore from restore point don't work, always bombs out with Win restore error detail "Bad Patch".  (There is no 'Dell' option in the repair/ diagnostic menu.)  So, I downloaded a boot image to USB port as instructed. 
On Win7 re-install from USB boot, Step 1 diagnostics and Step 2 backup worked cleanly, but wouldn't proceed to Step 3, with the following error: Samsung SSD PB22-JS3 FDE TM 128GB: "Cannot get Smart status".
Can anyone please enlighten me?
THANKS

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19994958
Relevancy 101.48%

I ve been getting the quot delayed write failed quot error message every time I try to backup a DVD with DVD Shrink to my externail USB hard drive I ve backed up a good on shrink during failed" "delayed external write dvd hard drive many DVDs this way and haven t had "delayed write failed" during dvd shrink on external hard drive this problem before Meanwhile I continue to be "delayed write failed" during dvd shrink on external hard drive able to copy other somewhat smaller files MB vs GB in DVD Shrink to the drive without any trouble When the error message appears it seems that the computer suddenly no longer recognizes anything on the external drive Sometimes it still recognizes that the drive is there even tells me how much space is used up on it but when I look at the files in Windows Explorer the files show up as empty or not at all When I try to safely unplug the drive I m told there s a problem with ejecting the drive that it can t be stopped right now I ve waited for several hours to be allowed to stop it but keep getting the same message I usually turn off the computer and finally unplug it When I plug it back in it sometimes autoplays and all the files are there sometimes it s not recognized at all until I unplug and plug it back in repeatedly I ve looked online and there are so many people having problems with that error message I can t make heads or tails of the issue The only thing I ve tried from the Microsoft site is that I turned cache writing off for the external drive not the internal one under policies which I thought is supposed to make it possible to unplug without all the hassle but it s solved neither the quot delayed write failure quot nor the problem ejecting it once it fails I ve looked at my Event Viewer and the only thing that looks like it could be related under Applications are a couple of Warnings right as I m rebooting with quot Userenv quot under Source and quot quot under Event Under Description in its Properties it says quot Windows saved user XPLAPTOP user registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off The memory used by the user s registry has not been freed The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use This is often caused by services running as a user account try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account quot I have a lot of warnings under System in the Event Viewer that look like they were during the time I tried to backup the DVD Most of them are quot quot under Event quot disk quot or quot cdrom quot under Source with Properties Description saying quot An error was detected on device Device Harddisk D or quot Device CdRom quot during a paging operation quot There is also Source quot ftdisk quot Event quot quot saying quot The system failed to flush data to the transaction log Corruption may occur quot These two happen right before Source quot ntfs quot Event quot quot quot Delayed Write Failed Windows was unable to save all the data for the file The data has been lost This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection Please try to save this file elsewhere quot In the popup it specified the file quot E Mft quot And there is one Error in the midst of all of that today Source quot sr quot Event quot quot quot The System Restore filter encountered the unexpected error xC E while processing the file change log on the volume HarddiskVolume It has stopped monitoring the volume quot All that s quite over my head The only things that are different from previous times I ve backed up DVDs on the drive is that the drive was recently finally put into an enclosure I m using it at someone else s house and it was accidentally unplugged without the safe remove feature a few days ago but I think I may have had the problem right before that already - I m not sure I ve wondered if it s only a matter of a wonky cable connections either the outlet str... Read more

A:"delayed write failed" during dvd shrink on external hard drive

I would upgrade the Laptop ram to 512 or a gig, see if the problem stops.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/delayed-write-failed-during-dvd-shrink-on-external-hard-drive.888653/
Relevancy 101.48%

Let me apologize in advance if this is Drive on "Delayed Failed" External Write Hard the incorrect place to post this query - I ve seen other similar issues posted in quot Hardware quot so I "Delayed Write Failed" on External Hard Drive m hoping I m in the right area I ve seen this issue posted before and I ve Googled my heart out but I still haven t been able to find answers to my exact problem I have a GB Western Digital MyBook external hard drive which holds all of my music files as well as back-ups of movies and pictures Whenever I plug it in I don t have ten seconds before I get the quot Delayed Write Failed quot error message and if I happen to be in Explorer at the time it freezes I ve also got Windows XP on my Dell Inspiron laptop if that s relevant I got the error message two days ago for the first time while trying to import a cd using iTunes It imported the first two songs on the album before giving me the error Since then I haven t been able to use the drive at all and when trying to get files from it I ve gotten errors saying the path was incorrect as if the hard drive weren t plugged in I tried using the hard drive yesterday on my dad s IBM laptop also running XP and had no problems sifting through the files in Explorer however opening a movie in Windows Media Player caused that program to freeze Today I plugged it into the IBM laptop again and tried the same previous album in iTunes but this time it didn t get past the first song before it gave me the quot Delayed Write Failed quot error This confirms my suspicions of it being possibly a connection problem with the hard drive but my question is quot Why quot and does this mean I need an entirely new hard drive I ve tried defragging virus scans etc but I m never able to keep the drive working properly long enough for either of them to complete When it comes to drivers and connections I haven t got a clue what I m doing so I was hoping someone could guide me in a general direction I was given great help on this forum once before when I had a virus problem so fingers crossed that some lovely person is daring enough to work with me again and figure this out Thank you very very much in advance nbsp

A:"Delayed Write Failed" on External Hard Drive

Check for malware. Also, a delayed write failure is this:

this is how external drives work with xp:

1. you tell a file to be copied to the ed (external drive)
2. Windows checks the file size and compares it to the free space on the ed.
3 Windows allocutes the space needed and queues segments of the file to be copied. (usually 1 file = 1 segment)
4. Windows starts copying segments to the drive in order of the queue.
5. the files finish and the transfer completes.

The delayed write failure is when one of the queued segments fails to copy.
This could be because of the hard drive failing so check for hdd errors but its more likely a windows issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/delayed-write-failed-on-external-hard-drive.688280/
Relevancy 101.05%

Hi everyone nbsp A longtime Dell enthusiast I love my 15 hard (3521) Assist -- on Inspiron "failed" Support drive self-test Dell laptop and haven t had really any problems with it nbsp But today the Inspiron 15 (3521) -- hard drive "failed" on Support Assist self-test Support Assist self-test said that the hard drive had quot failed quot its test nbsp It gave the following error codes for the hard drive ST LT - WS nbsp nbsp nbsp WHD - GP nbsp SMART short self test nbsp Inspiron 15 (3521) -- hard drive "failed" on Support Assist self-test quot failed quot nbsp nbsp nbsp WHD -J C nbsp Targeted read test nbsp quot Inspiron 15 (3521) -- hard drive "failed" on Support Assist self-test failed quot So obviously I m just wondering nbsp Does anyone know exactly what this means nbsp And how serious is it Though running a little slower my laptop is still working Whatever help info you all could offer I would really truly appreciate it nbsp I ve already started looking into a replacement hard drive--and the cost is minimal but I fear the aggravation of a full install of software I ve never done that nbsp Anyway that s where I m at thanks everyone nbsp - Robert P S This laptop is considerably past the expiration of its warranty

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19993643
Relevancy 101.05%

Hello, my xps 8500 has been showing "no boot device available" on start up. I understand this to be hard drive failiar but am hoping for a temp quick fix just to access and transfer files to a memory stick.
When enitialy starting up, raid volumes status is displayed as "disabled" and bootable No
But when pressing F1 at the "no boot device available" screen and it restartes, the raid volumes status reads "normal" but bootable remains No.
Running windows 8 and have cheacked that boot mode is UEFI and secure boot is disabled and such. Have also run the diagnostics using f12 and got error code 2000-0142.
Would appreciate any help, what I could try thanks.
Also if I were to buy a new hard drive, how would I install windows again, as I never received a copy on disk from dell.

A:"No boot device available" failed hard drive help

Buy and install a new hard drive and download the Create Media Tool to make your own windows installation disk.
support.microsoft.com/.../windows-create-installation-media

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19988073
Relevancy 101.05%

Hi everyone! I am new to this forum, so this is my first post. Here is my issue: A few nights ago my desktop (Dell dimension E510) started saying RAID status rebuild during start up. Then went to degraded, and finally failed. I ran hard drive diag. and found one of the 2 hard drives (Western Digital WD2500) has indeed failed. I was able to retrieve all of my data, thankfully. So, I removed the bad hd, changed the BIOS to non-raid, erased the good drive and tried to do a fresh install of XP. Everything goes smooth, until I get to the select, delete, or create partition screen. Instead of seeing a partition I see "unknown disk: there is no disc in the drive" four times. I have searched the web but haven't been able to secure any solid info yet... any help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

A:Hard drive failed... now computer can't "see" drives?

sounds like the second drive is bad too I just put in a new harddrive in my dell laptop this afternoon and am loading xp pro on it as we speak. if you booted to xp disk and it was trying to get to the point of formatting a partition on the remaining good drive, you thought was good, then it should have seen the remaining good drive...did it just have one partition? then it should have shown the one partition and the full size of that harddrive that it would ask you to format....

thats what it appears to be telling you from my perspective.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-failed-now-computer-cant-see-drives-370078.html
Relevancy 100.62%

Hey all I just bought and installed a TB Seagate Barracuda LP ST AS hard drive in addition to my existing hard drive It was not detected by Windows XP although the serial number ST AS showed up in BIOS I noticed that for a split second as i started up there was a screen with the up to FAILURE" install hard "DISK BOOT drive; 2nd ended with Attempted word quot RAID Attempted to install 2nd hard drive; ended up with "DISK BOOT FAILURE" quot and instructions saying quot press ctrl I quot so i restarted pressed quot ctrl I quot and it took to me to something that said it was for the setup of a raid disk or something like that I thought quot Oh this must be where you format the new hard drive so that it will be recognised quot So i went through a very simple menu that had me select stripe size and some other features that looked very basic an un-threatening and then finished the RAID setup thing I restarted the computer and now it says DISK BOOT FAILURE INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER At that point i had a heart attack Can anybody help me I have no idea what is going on nbsp

A:Attempted to install 2nd hard drive; ended up with "DISK BOOT FAILURE"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/attempted-to-install-2nd-hard-drive-ended-up-with-disk-boot-failure.947552/
Relevancy 100.62%

I selected "Install updates and shut down" and the next morning my Win7 PC wasn't recognizing my hard drive according to BIOS. Now what? Do I need to get a new hard drive or can I fix the problem myself?

A:Hard drive not recognized after updating Windows: "media test failed check cable"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-recognized-after-updating-windows-media-test-failed-check-cable.1101505/
Relevancy 99.76%

Hi,

"pri master hard disk: s.m.a.r.t. command failed
Press f1 to continue"

I get the above error when I turn on my computer, but when I load windows after pressing f1 everything seems to be fine, do I need to worry about this? It started occuring after I installed my q6600 cpu last night.

A:"pri master hard disk: s.m.a.r.t. cmd failed" error

If your drive or PC is still under warranty, I would have the drive replaced. The SMART diagnostics are used to tell you if the drive is running outside of the specs designed by the manufacturer. If the drive goes outside the specs, then there is usually a 72-hour timeframe before the drive fails completely.

But with the error you are getting, it sounds like it's an error with the SMART diags themselves - which should be replaced anyway.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pri-master-hard-disk-s-m-a-r-t-cmd-failed-error.639921/
Relevancy 99.33%

I noticed this morning when I turned on my computer that it wouldn't complete it's load...the screen said that there was a primary hard drive failure.I cut the power and tried again and everything seems OK.Question...could this be a sign that I could need a new hard drive?

A:"Primary hard drive failure?"

Could be a drive failing, and I'd definately back it up.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/primary-hard-drive-failure.321102/
Relevancy 98.47%

Hello TSG Just yesterday I was using the computer normally until I got a Blue Screen Getting a blue screen is usually something normal that occurs to my every so often so I didn t mind it and rebooted the computer normally Disk not 1 Solved: found" and problem "Drive "Floppy Failure" However I got two more blue screens within the next hour The rd time rebooting my computer starts to act strange as if it had a virus Upon powering up the monitor would just display a black screen with two lines about something --- which I don t remember sorry --- and stayed like that unless I plugged out the power cord or held on the power button to shut down Then when after a few tries it boots and displays a message quot Floppy Disk Failure quot and quot Drive not found Serial ATA SATA- quot and the same message for Drives and show up Also it asks me to continue loading by pressing the F Key When Windows loads the first time it displays a message saying a bunch of hardware has just been installed and ready for use Also Solved: "Floppy Disk Failure" and "Drive 1 not found" problem my internal clock resetted itself back to Monday November Which if I recall is the date when I got the computer and my speakers do not work TL Solved: "Floppy Disk Failure" and "Drive 1 not found" problem DR Version Solved: "Floppy Disk Failure" and "Drive 1 not found" problem blue screens within a short time Floppy disk fail Drivers - not found Serial ATA SATA- - Anyway I browsed through Google but I haven t seen anyone with both problems I disabled my Floppy Disk Drive and that message doesn t show up anymore but the others do and my computer still isn t fixed I ran a virus scan over night but I woke up to a black screen I use avast Antivirus with COMODO Firewall Is this a virus Is this because my hardware is old Here are the Specs Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Pentium R D CPU GHz x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Radeon X X X Series Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Dell Inc X CN G WL Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated Yes On-Demand Scanner Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 98.47%

Hope this query is in the right section -tried to use my LDS 1881 England Census CDs last night - but having problems with the Viewer.

I have V4 which up to now has worked perfectly - tried to re-install it
and I keep getting "Failed to extract file "Dll_ini" from binary table"
error message.

BUT no problems on my laptap which has the Viewer installed from the
same CD.

Have had a few problems with computer of late - it was in the workshop
3 weeks ago because of some corrupt Windows files - could that be the
problem?

Grateful for any advice, suggestions as to what to do!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/install-error-failed-to-extract-file-dll_ini-from-binary-table.354576/
Relevancy 98.47%

I lost the hard drive on one of my Compaq d530 computers, and have obtained a replacement drive. I am operating with Windows XP Professional and used the Windows disk management to format the new drive. When I installed the replacement drive and turned on the computer I got the following message:

"1720 - SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure
Your hard disk drive is detecting an imminent failure. To ensure no data loss, backup contents and replace this hard disk."

I have tried this several times with the same result. If I hit F1 to select the disk as the boot location the screen has a curser in the upper left hand corner of the screen and nothing else happens. Is there something else required to be able to install Windows from my installation CD?

A:Error Message 1720 Smart drive ...

I'm actually typing this from the exact same type of PC.

Did the "original" drive fail...why did you have to replace the drive?

Is the replacement drive faulty by any chance, or is it a new drive?

Have you checked the IDE cable as well as the connection to/from the motherboard?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-message-1720-smart-drive.1005871/
Relevancy 98.47%

Hi Everyone I have a Windows XP computer that is causing me a bit of grief It is connected to a Domain and yesterday when I started the computer I was presented with a message along the lines of quot Delayed Write Failed quot The computer then quot hung quot just before the CTRL ALT DEL logon screen "Delayed with restore XP Failed" failing [SOLVED] boot Write / to is presented Today I successfully booted into Safe Mode and I performed a System Restore - however once the computer restarted the message below was presented Now when I start the computer I am met by the quot We apologise for the inconvenience but [SOLVED] XP failing to boot / restore with "Delayed Write Failed" Windows did not start successfully quot screen and several options one of them being to start Windows normally When I select this option and hit enter the computer either Restarts instantly or Shows the logo screen with progress bar amp the bar inevitably stops progressing I am looking for advice on how to fix this issue Any help will be greatly appreciated Kind Regards Davo

A:[SOLVED] XP failing to boot / restore with "Delayed Write Failed"

Your IT dept should be able to help you with this.
A Delayed Write error means that the HDD is having trouble communicating with the computer. This may be caused by a failing HDD. If you are the IT dept, then try replacing the Data cable on the HDD. Also try a different power plug.
If you can boot into Windows, go to Start/Run and type chkdsk C: /R and press enter. In the Command Prompt type a Y for Yes and restart the computer. Check Disk will run through 5 stages and check the HDD.
On another computer, download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature, burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the Short and Long tests on the HDD. If either test fails the HDD needs to be replaced.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-xp-failing-to-boot-restore-with-and-quot-delayed-write-failed-and-quot-692885.html
Relevancy 98.04%

Hi Everyone I have a Windows XP computer that is causing me a bit of grief It is connected to a Domain and yesterday when I started the computer I was presented with a message along the lines of quot Delayed Write Failed quot The computer then quot with XP boot / Failed" failing Write "Delayed to restore hung quot just before the CTRL ALT DEL logon screen is presented Today I successfully booted into Safe Mode and XP failing to boot / restore with "Delayed Write Failed" I performed a System Restore - however once the computer restarted the message below was presented Now when I start the computer I am met by the quot We apologise for the inconvenience but Windows did not start successfully quot screen and several options one of them being to start Windows normally When I select this option and hit enter the computer either Restarts instantly or Shows the logo screen with progress bar amp the bar inevitably stops progressing I am looking for advice on how to fix this issue Any help will be greatly appreciated Kind Regards Davo nbsp

A:XP failing to boot / restore with "Delayed Write Failed"

Hi Everyone,

I used the Seatools for DOS boot disk to test the hard drive and surprisingly no errors were detected. Both the short & long tests passed with flying colours. I now know that my RAM & my HDD are in good health. What else can cause this kind of Delayed Write error?

Any further help will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-failing-to-boot-restore-with-delayed-write-failed.1096244/
Relevancy 98.04%

I've tried restarting, using the Adobe Cleaner thingy, but nothing seems to be working! I just can't install DreamWeaver because I keep getting the same message: "installer failed to initialize" HELP!!

A:DreamWeaver failing to install "installer failed to initialize"

Click on the "Installer failed to initialize" link in this Adobe KB article.

Troubleshoot error messages | Bootstrapper CS5, CS5.5

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/188183-dreamweaver-failing-install-installer-failed-initialize.html
Relevancy 98.04%

HELP I m in Western Australia in the area hit by the big storms last week We had a major day power outage and a lot of surges etc when the power came back on Since the Drive Imminent Failure!!!! Hard power has come back on my computer hasn t been working properly Firstly it started freezing up completely CTRL ALT DEL wouldn t solve the problem so I had to use the reset switch Then the scary stuff started happening It wouldn t locate my Main Hard Drive during the start up process and I d get an error message saying PRESS ANY KEY TO REBOOT I quot d reboot and the same thing would happen I Imminent Hard Drive Failure!!!! d have to turn off the power and let cool down for a while before it would start up Then it would fail to get past the windows start up screen so I d reset it again Then it would start up properly and I could log in as normal However it was excruciatingly slow and would take ages to open any programs etc Before this happened I d installed the latest windows updates including IE which for some reason will not work properly on this computer I ve since uninstalled this upgrade done a check disk a clean disk an adware scan a virus scan and a spyware scan But to no avail as it still crashed Today s plan was to baby it to life get a hijack this log off it and post it on here to see if you guys can help me However on turning it on I got an error message saying that it had hung during the last start up due to an improper CPU Speed which I ve had a couple of times before I ve reset it all restarted it again it s done the inital start up tests etc found the hard drive that it s been having problems with no drama then I get this horrible message RECOMMEND TO BACK UP ALL DATA ON HARD DRIVE AS HARD DRIVE FAILURE IS IMMINENT HELP I ve turned the computer in question off and am thanking my lucky stars I got a laptop just before xmas or I quot d be sunk But that hard drive has all my financial records wages for our family farm etc and lots of very important stuff on it I m quite happy to put a new hard drive into the computer great excuse to get a bigger hard drive lol but I want to turn it on and back it up first Is it safe to turn it on is there some way I could install windows on one of my other hard drives i have in the computer all up and then access the dodgy drive from within the computer to back up the data on it without using it to boot up the computer I m not game to turn it on till I can back it up incase it dies on me completely which means I cant get a hijack this log off it either Thanks in advance for any help Jo nbsp

Relevancy 98.04%

I'm getting this error after POST:
"170-smart Hard disk drive is detecting an imminent failure. To ensure no data loss backup contnents and replace this hard disk. attribute failed #5"
Is there anything I can do to fix this besides replacing the hard drive?

Relevancy 98.04%

What should I do if my Vista HE (32 bit)/I] says "Windows Has Detected An Imminent Hard Drive Failure - Back Up Your Files Now"?

Relevancy 98.04%

Running windows xp on an HP desktop a1025 computer. The computer would not boot. It did show a screen that said "hard drive failure imminent back up your files and replace hard drive". I got the files and then was told the mother board was bad. I was also told to replace the battery and it probably would work. I replaced the battery and the unit works perfectly. However, I am reluctant to trust that it will not actually fail. What do you think?

A:Imminent hard drive failure

See this:
Modern computer bios contain a technology called SMART (Self Monitoring Analysis & Reporting Technology) that interfaces with modern disk drives using the EIDE specification and contains a log of many hard disk working attributes. If you download the free DiskCheckup program from the Passmark website (http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm) it will read this log and report the attributes. This is a small program and downloads fast. It also does not have to be run until you want to read the log, so takes no system resources when it isn't running.

To check your hard drive:
- Start the DiskCheckup program.
- At the top of the program window you will find a ''Select Drive'' drop down list of your disk drives. Select the drive you want to check from that list and click on the ''Get Info'' button.
- The list in the top box will give you drive information, but this isn't what you need to see how the drive is doing. The bottom box will show you the SMART attributes and this is what you really should be looking at. Even thought some of the attributes may not be familiar to you, there is a column named ''Status'' that will tell you how the drive is doing. If it says "OK" on all the attributes your drive is working fine.Click to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/imminent-hard-drive-failure.795427/
Relevancy 98.04%

on boot up with an hp laptop with vista os I get hard drive failure imminent back up / and replace hard drive , but it won't complete boot up process. What can I do to rectify this problem?

A:Hard drive failure imminent

What part of the boot process does it stop at?
You can attempt to repair the operating system using a vista DVD. If you don't have any files on the system you should just replace the drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-drive-failure-imminent-583459.html
Relevancy 98.04%

I just resolved an issue I had with the wireless connectivity of my Acer notebook computer and now I am getting strange error messages. When I try (not every instance) to open device manager I will get the message "Failed to open empty document." From there I will occasionally get "Parser" messages that say "Value creation failed at line 843" or "line 422." I read what I could find about these messages and it points to MMC as the cause. How do I go about fixing this annoying problem if anyone knows?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/failed-to-open-empty-document-parser-error-messages.653756/
Relevancy 98.04%

hello new to this forum so be gentle please,

i have recently experienced this problem for the first time and researching the internet has got me very worried

i run a maxtor 53073h4 hardrive, i also run a 80gb portable hardrive which has all my documents on it

basically my questions are

-is there anything that can be done, and what do i need to do to fully diognose?
-the maxtor hardrive has windows on it, so if it crashes can i back windows up somewhere else as i haven't got the original disk, and can't afford a new one?
-can i just by a new hardrive and are they expensive to install?
-is it possible to transfer windows over to my USB portable hardrive and run it through that?

thanks for the answers in advance, sorry for the wordy question

A:1720 hardrive detects iminent failure

Download Seatools to verify that your drive is in fact dying.

There are programs you can use to create a backup image of your entire drive. Programs like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image (though these programs are usually not free).

New harddrives are relatively cheap, and are a breeze to install yourself, or should be cheap to have someone else install.

It is possible to transfer your windows to the USB drive, but someone else will have to help with that as it would take me a while to walk you through it since I have never done it myself.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/1720-hardrive-detects-iminent-failure-303175.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Hi nbsp this afternoon Windows started giving me nbsp repeated warning messages saying nbsp Windows detected a hard disk problem and said nbsp that I should Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss and then contact the computer manufacturer to determine if messages? Imminent" "Hard Failure Drive you need to repair or replace the disk nbsp nbsp I also got a pop-up from the Intel Rapid Storage Technology saying my hard drive was at risk "Hard Drive Failure Imminent" messages? nbsp When the system boots up it stops at the BIOS screen and says Hard Drive Failure is imminent nbsp Googling this issue makes me confused as to whether I've got a Hard Drive about to fail or some sort of virus that I need to get rid of nbsp I've backed up my "Hard Drive Failure Imminent" messages? files I did a lengthy CHKDSK "Hard Drive Failure Imminent" messages? which revealed nothing Norton hasn't alerted me to any virus issues nbsp Where do I go from here nbsp nbsp My equipment is nbsp HPE- a Pavilion Elite Desktop PC nbsp http h www hp com bizsupport TechSupport Document jsp objectID c amp lang en amp cc us amp taskI nbsp OS Windows - bit Solved View Solution

A:"Hard Drive Failure Imminent" messages?

Hard Drive failed. Replaced with WD 1TB and all is well again.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/quot-Hard-Drive-Failure-Imminent-quot-messages/td-p/1431273
Relevancy 97.18%

I receive the hard drive "imminent failure message" upon boot up.I bought a completely new hard drive,installed OP and still get same message.Updated the BIOS from HP site and still nothing..Where do I troubleshoot now,bad motherboard??Any ideas out there??

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Hard-Drive-quot-imminent-failure-message-quot/td-p/5666523
Relevancy 97.18%

My machine HP G opens up to DOS instead of a Windows blue screen and the DOS message s are Imminent hard-drive failure Below that are options to test the start-up menu hard-disc etc Solved: Imminent hard-drive failure or press enter to start-up After I press enter usually the Windows blue screen appears and can Solved: Imminent hard-drive failure enter my password and everything is fine albeit a little slow thereafter but now the Internet freezes a lot at least when I use the Google Browser so I m using the Explorer Browser right now it s not as slow and it takes longer and longer for me to get to the blue screen the DOS screen is also asking for me to install the operating system and I just turn the computer off until when I press enter I finally get the windows blue screen again System Mechanic came with this computer and after it expired I started seeing trouble so I downloaded the free version and it works on everything except the hard-drive because that is not free QUESTION Should I pay for the bucks to download the full System Mechanic software will it help QUESTION Also I made a backup of the computer about weeks ago but there was a message the last disc was copied incorrectly and I didn t have the heart to start the backup all over again because it took hours Can I still use that backup except for the last disc nbsp

Relevancy 97.18%

I am suddenly getting a warning in Win operation and at reboot that one of my Hard Drives is about to fail It is Recommendations please? Failure Hard - Drive Imminent a TB Spinpoint that I have Imminent Hard Drive Failure - Recommendations please? had for about years I installed Hard Disk Imminent Hard Drive Failure - Recommendations please? Sentinel to check the information Windows is giving me and this gives me the same basic report quot Failure Predicted - Attribute Raw Read Error Rate Errors occurred while reading raw data from a disk Indicate problem with the disk surface or the read write heads There are weak sectors found on the disk surface They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk Replace hard disk immediately quot So I guess the information is reliable and I need to buy a new disc right Will re-formatting it and or running DiskCheck with recover bad sectors help Anything else I can do Disk working Ok for now Assuming the answer is no what would folks recommend as a good not-too-expensive disc available in the UK to replace the failing one Fortunately it s a disc I use just for backups albeit important ones not a disc with the O S or similar on it I thought these Samsung discs were supposed to be reliable Thanks Martin nbsp

Relevancy 97.18%

Hi Guys A noisy bearing type noise has started coming from my PC I thought it was one of the cooling fans but I ve checked all of those and they are all OK It must be coming from the Hard Hard ??? - Imminent Drive Noisy Failure Drive IDE Is there a test I can do to see if Drive Failure is imminent Can I put a spot of thin oil on the bearing to make it quieter If I have to replace the Drive what software do I need to Copy the whole PC from one drive to another as I do not want to re-install everything Any recomendations on a new IDE Drive Looking forward to your comments Regards Paul TSG Info Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack bit Processor AMD Sempron tm Processor x Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ALL-IN-WONDER RADEON DV Microsoft Corporation Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard EPoX COMPUTER CO LTD K M Noisy Hard Drive - Imminent Failure ??? DDR HMMI-A Series x Antivirus None Antivirus Update Although the TSG Info didn t pick it up Norton Internet Security is running on this machine nbsp

Relevancy 97.18%

I am currently running Windows XP Home Edition on my PC eMachines model T - Mhz and gigs of RAM Anyway about weeks ago I noticed that every once and a while my PC would slow Solved: Hard imminent? Drive failure down to a crawl and take forever to respond The only way I could solve the problem was to re-start the machine Process Manager showing that the CPU was not being overworked Virus and spyware scans revealed nothing save for the annoying tracking cookies which I removed so I don t think it s malware Thinking it might be the hard drive I downloaded HDD Health v from http www panterasoft com I ran the program and it revealed that my main hard disk s health was at but Solved: Hard Drive failure imminent? my older smaller slave HD is temperature - for both which I Solved: Hard Drive failure imminent? found weird and that failure is imminent I also ran chdisk afterwards and found nothing so my question is how concerned should I be Perhaps the software isn t working correctly If this is the case then what could be the problem Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 97.18%

Hi guys and girls I m not sure whether this is a hardware or a virus issue so please push this thread elsewhere if necessary My laptop has recently started acting horribly It takes about an hour to boot windows and even then it isn t always fully booted Typical windows icons in the corner by the clock don t always load the network volume and battery icons for instance - but this is the least of my worries The hard drive is much noisier than it used to be It isn t making scary scratching or thunking noises but it does sound a little like a typewriter while it is booting Windows After Windows is loaded it quiets down a bit Also for the first couple hours the computer is on the hard drive light is on steadily It will eventually flash on and off normally after I ve been on the computer a while or restarted it from hibernation Because this computer is going on years old and I tote it around and use it daily I would imagine all of these problems point to imminent hard drive failure but I wonder if it may be a virus issue that isn t getting caught by my Norton scans All of these problems started after I accidently and stupidly downloaded some malware in an effort to help a coworker I thought I cleared them away immediately but this all started hard Imminent failure Virus? or drive happening on Imminent hard drive failure or Virus? the very next reboot I've also done physical scans of the hard drive surface and Imminent hard drive failure or Virus? no errors are turning up I would love to not have to unnecessarily invest in a new computer right now for financial reasons and because aside from this issue I love this computer so could someone please look at Imminent hard drive failure or Virus? a hijackthis log for me or advise on some other course of action Thank you so very much PS I should also mention about months ago I had an apparent fan issue which overheated my computer and fried my keyboard I replaced the keyboard and strangely haven t had problems with the fan since

A:Imminent hard drive failure or Virus?

Sounds like your pc is infected and you need to work on that. However you can also download the hard drive manufacture diagnostics and test the drive. I can't provide a link since you left out all info about your pc. When asking for support your pc specs and os version is customary to provide.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f50/imminent-hard-drive-failure-or-virus-612098.html
Relevancy 97.18%

I am suddenly getting a warning that one of my Hard Drives is about to fail It is a TB Spinpoint that I have had for about years I installed 'Hard Disk Sentinel' to check the information Windows is giving me and this gives me the same basic report quot Failure Predicted - Attribute Raw Read Error Rate Errors occurred while reading raw data from a disk Indicate problem with the disk surface or the read write heads There are weak sectors found on the disk surface They may be remapped any time in the later use of the disk Replace hard disk immediately quot So I guess the information is reliable and I need to buy a new disc right Will re-formatting it and or running DiskCheck with recover bad sectors help Anything else I can do Assuming the answer is 'no' what would folks recommend as a good not-too-expensive disc available in the UK to replace the failing one Fortunately it's a disc I use Hard please? - Failure Recommendations Imminent Drive just for backups albeit important ones not a disc with the O S or similar on it I thought these Samsung discs were supposed to be reliable Thanks Martin

A:Imminent Hard Drive Failure - Recommendations please?

For backups I would always recommend a powered external HDD on the table top, which will never - as far as possible - never removed, and switched on only when backup is required. ( Look for an on-off switch on the drive, so that you need not connect and disconnect the drive to the PC every time to bring it into action )

(The reason is an internal drive will keep spinning all the time (needlessly) and thus reduce its lifetime and imminent early failure.)

Immediately backup all your files to the external drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/297824-imminent-hard-drive-failure-recommendations-please.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Keep getting this message every time I do a RESTART :BIOS Revision: 6.11 ST3750528AS:Hard Disk failure is imminent please backup your hard disk and have it replaced ! !

A:Hard Drive Failure Is Imminent Message

Also, I installed and new HDD, re-installed Windows 7 and to my surprise the error was still displaying upon computer reboot every time.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-7/hard-drive-failure-is-imminent-message/19585.html
Relevancy 97.18%

Hi

I run Win 7 home on Lenovo Thinkpad. recently windows Lenovo diagnostic programme warne of "imminent hard drive failure". I ran SeaTools long test which also indicated disk failure. Then I ran windows chdsk. All went well till stage 4 of 5...checking file data -it has twice replaced bad clusters up till now - its been busy with stage 4 for the past 3 hours.....

One of the files affected according to chdsk is AgCx_SC1.db - is this a Trojan? Both Malwarebytes and MSE came up with a clean scan.

My question is : must I replace the HD or is there a virus lurking somewhere?

Your help would be appreciated

A:Solved: Imminent hard drive failure

If the lenovo diagnostic and seatools are indicating a disk failure I would suggest an immediate backup of as much as you can / need and replace the drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-imminent-hard-drive-failure.1014159/
Relevancy 97.18%

ok, I'll try to describe this the best I can

I have a Western digital HDD. When I start my computer it will tell me drive failure imminent, back up hard disk and have it replaced, F2 to continue. When I hit F2 I get a black screen and nothing happens. Now I've tried to put the HDD in my other computer (the one I'm using now) as a slave so I can run scan disk on it but heres the prob with that.

I start the second computer up, it does the IDE drive check and everything is fine, goes to the second load screen (where it shows bios info ect.) and stops on the WD HDD and won't do anything else.

thats the best I can explain it at this point. HELP!!!!

A:hard drive failure is imminent, won't boot

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

It sounds to me like your hard drive has already failed.

It might be possible to revive your hard drive just long enough for you to get your data off of it.

Take a look at this article HERE

I can`t guarantee that this will work, but it may be worth a try.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-failure-is-imminent-wont-boot.34997/
Relevancy 96.75%

Hello I upgrade my pc with SSD everything seem to go fine but of my TB drive giving me a Smart error now i wonder if SSD has anything to do with Drives failing My theory is that SSD runs on a flash based chip it is very stable but mean time it has huge access point of data that why it is fast The reason i am thinking that SSD is killing my other drives is because my setup is a Media center Software such as windows media center and media browser keep accessing my TB Hitachi drive for movies TV show and so on SSD in my opinion is running other ! SSD SMART failed Hard drive Error Can ? drives Kill other drive to max point of spin and read write in same time which could caused these drive either over heat or over used that is just a theroy of mine Can SSD Kill other drives ? Hard drive failed SMART Error ! MY Setup Media center pc Can SSD Kill other drives ? Hard drive failed SMART Error ! with TB Hard drive Hitachi and GB SSD drive Error Message Smart error bad backup and replace Thank you

A:Can SSD Kill other drives ? Hard drive failed SMART Error !

Ther's not a chance that an SSD caused that. Really, what is a mechanical hard drive supposed to do? They spin up and read/write data. A Mechaninal hard drive would be reading/writing more if the OS was installed on it. That is constant.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/212406-can-ssd-kill-other-drives-hard-drive-failed-smart-error.html
Relevancy 95.46%

"0x80070057" error. I was simply trying to copy a folder or group of files to another hard drive.
Hard drive to Hard drive, no SSD or External was involved.

Any solutions to this issue?

It literally refuses the copying to be performed ...

I'm trying to copy folders/files from a Seagate SATA II 320 GB Hard Drive to a newer Western Digital SATA II 1 TB Hard Drive.
thanks

A:"0x80070057" Error copying files from hard drive to hard drive??

Quote: Originally Posted by axelrose

"0x80070057" error. I was simply trying to copy a folder or group of files to another hard drive.
Hard drive to Hard drive, no SSD or External was involved.

Any solutions to this issue?

It literally refuses the copying to be performed ...

I'm trying to copy folders/files from a Seagate SATA II 320 GB Hard Drive to a newer Western Digital SATA II 1 TB Hard Drive.
thanks

That error sometimes refers to a read write problem. That could be caused by a controller, too little ram, or a busy cpu.

How bis are the copies?

What does it say in event viewer about it?

There are several ways to find what the problem is. The best is to go into event viewer (type eventvwr in search). Go to the windows log>application tab.

You want to look for critical errors (they have red in the left column ).

When you find them you want to look for critical errors that say app hang, app crash, or anything that relates to the problem.

When you find them please note the event ID, and the source codes and tell us what they are.

Let us know if you need help with any of this.

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/134720-0x80070057-error-copying-files-hard-drive-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 95.03%

Please I keep recieving 1720 SMART failure on my PC, what should I do?

A:1720 SMART failure

This is an imminent hard drive failure warning.

Backup any data you want to keep immediately, buy a new hard drive.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/632345/1720-smart-failure/
Relevancy 95.03%

Issue Secondary hard drive on a desktop computer reported quot cyclic redundancy data error quot Chkdsk was run took too long for satisfactory completion and thusly canceled On bootup the machine reports imminent hard drive failure on secondary hard drive Various tests run and observation indicate no errors or file corruption Blue screen whn running seemingly Slow Causing Imminent down Drive Hard Failure secondary normal operation Programs running The Sims Pets quot PAGE FAULT IN NONPAGED AREA STOP x xA B CF x x x Hitachi HDT SLA ST A B quot CheckDisk run again to be sure took a time frame of days in order to finish Desktop still reports imminent hard drive Imminent secondary Hard Drive Failure Causing Slow down failure requiring input to continue start up Imminent secondary Hard Drive Failure Causing Slow down Entire computer experiences slowdown now particularly when accessing the secondary hard drive No physical damage to secondary hard drive No physical damage to secondary hard drive The secondary hard drive is not the one with the OS installed on it and is solely used for data storage System specifications Hardware Compaq Presario SR NX Desktop PC OS Windows XP Home SP CPU AMD Athlon Memory GHz GB RAM Mainboard ASUSTek Computer INC Amberine M Graphics ATI Radeon HD Series RV Secondary Hard Drive Hitachi HDT SLA ST A B Space GB NTFS nbsp

Relevancy 95.03%

Hi My "Smart Failure", recover? to how friend asked me to recover all his data from his hard drive that damaged I plug it to my computer as slave and i get this message at boot SMART "Smart Failure", how to recover? Failure predicted on primary Master Maxtor F L WARNING Immediately back-up your data and replace your hard disk drive A failure may be imminent After a search i saw that this is normal in WD disks it seems that they really suck When i boot the pc windows recognizes the drive but i access explorer and the disk isn t there I ran Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and it detects the two hard drives but the WD smart status is fail When i try to see more info i get raw read error rate value -red Then i try to make a quick test and i get cable test - read diagnostics sector error I really need to recover the data from this disk how can i do it Is it possible to do it by booting xp cd recovery console and then try the chkdsk command What else can i do to recover the data Every suggestion is appreciated Thanks a lot nbsp

Relevancy 95.03%

This is a Pavilion notebook that will not boot. Looking like it needs a new hard drive.I can find very little about this error code the smart check gives me:       hard drive SMART check failed: error ID: QC0J10-82S86V-RXG2LK-60CL03 HP pavilion 17-g131ds 1TB 5400RPM hard drive    (I got this from the product specs)http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04764806 Any information would be a great help. Also if it does need a hard drive what would yourecomend to be the most compatable? 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/hard-drive-SMART-check-failed-error-ID-QC0J10-82S86V-RXG2LK/td-p/5719370
Relevancy 94.6%

The hard drive is a Western Digital 320 GB that I've had plugged into this computer before (and worked). Then i got a virus and had to do a recovery of windows.

Ever since then I can't get windows to recognize/show it in my computer. I just "disabled" and "enabled" it in device manager to no effect. I have a C, D, and E drive which are: two partitions on the hard drive, and then the CD drive (respectively).

So i'm stuck, not sure where to proceed since it's obviously not the hard drive itself, I use it on my xbox all the time. What next?

A:External Hard Drive doesn't show up in "my computer" but does in "device manager"

Does it show in Disk Management ? ?
Right clik My Computer...select Manage...then Disk Management.
Find the drive...right clik it and select Properties.
Report back with your findings.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/276295-external-hard-drive-doesnt-show-up-my-computer-but-does-device-manager.html
Relevancy 94.6%

Ok first off I want to say I've searched and searched and searched to no avail in trying to find a solution to this I've come failure not "disk Hard boot found Drive enter" and system insert press disk to the conclusion it's software and Hard Drive not found "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter" not hardware based Let Hard Drive not found "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter" me start from the top I've had an older computer HP Pavilion a x out Hard Drive not found "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter" of commission for a while due to a 'sploded psu I finally get around to ordering one install it and everything is good I bring it back to my office and hook it up to the internet and as expected there's updates So I up date it and after the updates are installed the computer restarts automatically weird yes and as it's coming back on it detects errors and runs CHKDSK So I let it run and it gets to part of At this point in time my partner is really needing to print sometime and all computers print through this computer So after about minutes CHKDSK is still on part at only So I'm like quot screw it quot and manually shut down and restart It's at this point I get a quot primary master hard disk failure quot at the boot screen Letting start up continue I get a quot Stop c unknown hard error systemroot system ntdll dll quot At this point I realize something is delectably wrong Found this thread which didn't help much At some point the c error stops and I start getting quot disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter quot and I found this thread which didn't help much either I have also been searching other sites as well Here's what I found out that's important HDD shows up in BIOS HDD shows up at the boot screen Recovery console does not find the HDD Repair does not work becuase HDD is not detected HDD does not show up in other computers shows failure at boot screen Removed CMOS battery and replaced didn't help FDISK did not detect the HDD Drive is currently in the freezer Changed jumper to Cable Select no help Tried unsuccessfully to create a boot disk This drive is only gb I'm trying to retrieve files that are valuable to me If I can get these and the drive dies I'd be happen gb drives are laughable these days Any help would be GREATLY appreciated This is the first problem I haven't been able to solve with information that's already been posted Thanks in advance Get error quot Windows XP could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem Could not read from selected boot disk Check boot path and disk hardware Please check the Windows XP TM documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information Boot Failed quot

A:Hard Drive not found "disk boot failure insert system disk and press enter"

Anything would be super helpful, even if it's bad news. I just need to know if I can get this remedied or not.

Another thing I noticed is that the HDD activity light on the front of the computer does not blink or show any activity.

Thanks!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-not-found-disk-boot-failure-insert-system-disk-and-press-enter-469255.html
Relevancy 94.17%

I just installed a new 60gb hard drive as a back up to put my movie files on,it installed fine and it works fine but i get "windows milenium emergancy boot" when i boot the system up .I don"t know if this error is serious but I do know that the system seems less stable in this boot mode..can someone please help? thanx

A:after installing new "hard drive" it starts with "windows emergency boot"

closing duplicate, view this thread
http://forums.techguy.org/t76279/s5b1a29d68c715c9a36d25291025adddb.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/after-installing-new-hard-drive-it-starts-with-windows-emergency-boot.76282/
Relevancy 94.17%

infected with quot vbs quot used quot Flash folders with on hard don't open afte infected all "vbs", drive "Flash_Disinfector" Disinfector quot amp folders on hard drive unable to open HI i got infected with quot vbs quot through someone's usb i ran quot Flash Disinfector quot then installed quot kaspersky quot scaned the whole computer it also deleted vbs trojan However after that when i infected with "vbs", afte "Flash_Disinfector" all folders on hard drive don't open tried to open my computer by clicking on its icon it did not open i tried to open it fron strat up but the result was same all others like my documents etc were all right i open my computer through my documents opened my c drive when i tried to open further any folder present present in the C drive it gave me the error that is this item quot vbs quot that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved so this shortcut will no longer work properly Do you want to delete this shortcut infected with "vbs", afte "Flash_Disinfector" all folders on hard drive don't open Howerever all my folders were not having any shortcut sign amp it was same with all folders present in all my drives but when i wrote the name of the folder in the address bar it opened normaly so now i cannot open my computer through its icon plus all the folders present in my hard drive please help me to sort this thing out dds DDS Ver - - - NTFSx Run by Nadeem Ahmad at on Sat Internet Explorer Microsoft Windows XP Professional GMT AV Kaspersky Anti-Virus On-access scanning disabled Updated C D BC - - -A F -E C Running Processes C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe C WINDOWS system svchost -k DcomLaunch svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe -k netsvcs C WINDOWS system Ati evxx exe svchost exe svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe c program files idt wdm STacSV exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Quick Launch Buttons QlbCtrl exe C Program Files Apoint K Apoint exe C Program Files IDT WDM sttray exe C Program Files Apoint K ApMsgFwd exe C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus avp exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Microsoft ActiveSync Wcescomm exe C Program Files Apoint K Apntex exe C PROGRA MI AA rapimgr exe C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Anti-Virus avp exe C Program Files Symantec Norton Ghost GhostStartService exe C Program Files Intel Intel R Management Engine Components LMS LMS exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe -k imgsvc C Program Files Intel Intel R Management Engine Components UNS UNS exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exe C Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static ccc exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Shared hpqwmiex exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard HP Quick Launch Buttons Com QLBEx exe C Documents and Settings Nadeem Ahmad Desktop dds scr Pseudo HJT Report uStart Page hxxp www msn com uDefault Page URL hxxp www msn com uInternet Connection Wizard ShellNext wmplayer exe ICWLaunch uInternet Settings ProxyServer socks uWindows Load quot c windows system smss exe vbs quot BHO HelperObject Class c d-c - c - -fce ad c - c program files techsmith snagit SnagItBHO dll BHO QvodExtend ac - de - - a e-a af add - c program files qvodplayer QvodExtend dll BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - c - d -b f - bbc d a e - c progra micros office GRA E DLL BHO MSN Toolbar Helper d ce e -f a- - e- dc f c f - c program files msn toolbar msneshellx dll BHO Ask Toolbar d c f- a- -a ad- d - c program files ask com GenericAskToolbar dll TB SnagIt ff e -abde- eb-b e-d aab cabe - c program files techsmith snagit SnagItIEAddin dll TB MSN Toolbar e ed c- cb - d -b e -ab c c - c program files msn toolbar msneshellx dll TB Ask Toolbar d c f- a- -a ad- d - c program files ask com GenericAskToolbar dll TB FF E -ABDE- EB-B E-D AAB CABE - No File TB BC A- - D - AC -E B A BA C - No File uRun ctfmon exe c windows system ctfmon exe uRun H PC Connection Agent quot c program files ... Read more

A:infected with "vbs", afte "Flash_Disinfector" all folders on hard drive don't open

Hello buct,

It will require more than 1 round to clean the system. Please stay with me until given the 'all clear' even if symptoms seem to abate.

Download ComboFix from one of these locations:

Link 1
Link 2

* IMPORTANT- Save ComboFix.exe to your Desktop

====================================================

Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications as they will interfere with our tools and the removal.

====================================================

Double click on combofix.exe & follow the prompts.

As part of it's process, ComboFix will check to see if the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed. With malware infections being as they are today, it's strongly recommended to have this pre-installed on your machine before doing any malware removal. It will allow you to boot up into a special recovery/repair mode that will allow us to more easily help you should your computer have a problem after an attempted removal of malware.

Follow the prompts to allow ComboFix to download and install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console, and when prompted, agree to the End-User License Agreement to install the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console.

**Please note: If the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is already installed, ComboFix will continue it's malware removal procedures.

Once the Microsoft Windows Recovery Console is installed using ComboFix, you should see the following message:

Click on Yes, to continue scanning for malware.

When finished, it shall produce a log for you. Please include the C:\ComboFix.txt in your next reply for further review.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/infected-with-vbs-afte-flash_disinfector-all-folders-on-hard-drive-dont-open-468423.html
Relevancy 94.17%

HI i got infected with quot vbs quot through someone's usb i ran quot Flash Disinfector quot then installed quot kaspersky quot scaned the whole computer it also deleted open used & drive "vbs", on unable with folders "Flash_Disinfector" to hard infected vbs trojan However after that when i tried to open my computer by clicking on its icon it did not open i tried to open it fron strat up but the result was same all others like my documents etc were all right i open my computer through my documents opened my c drive when i tried to open further any folder present infected with "vbs", used "Flash_Disinfector" & folders on hard drive unable to open present in the C drive it gave me the error i am including the error meggage in attachment howerever all my folders were not having any shortcut sign amp it was same with all folders present in all my drives infected with "vbs", used "Flash_Disinfector" & folders on hard drive unable to open but when i wrote the name of the folder in the address bar it opened normaly infected with "vbs", used "Flash_Disinfector" & folders on hard drive unable to open so now i cannot open my computer through its icon plus all the folders present in my hard drive please help me to sort this thing out

A:infected with "vbs", used "Flash_Disinfector" & folders on hard drive unable to open

Hello and Welcome.

We want all our members to perform the steps outlined in the link I'll give you below, before posting for assistance. There's a sticky at the top of this forum, and a
Quote:

Having problems with spyware and pop-ups? First Steps

link at the top of each page.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please follow our pre-posting process outlined here:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f50/...lp-305963.html

After running through all the steps, you shall have a proper set of logs. Please post them in a new topic, as this one shall be closed.

If you have trouble with one of the steps, simply move on to the next one, and make note of it in your reply.

Please note that the Virus/Trojan/Spyware Help forum is extremely busy, and it may take a while to receive a reply.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f100/infected-with-vbs-used-flash_disinfector-and-folders-on-hard-drive-unable-to-open-468303.html
Relevancy 92.88%

I used a DriveWire - Universal Hard Drive Adapter IDE PATA SATA to USB HDD Adapter to hook up A quot Hard Drive Samsung model HD HJ to my desktop in an attempt to get my wife's files off her old desktop machine and merge Drive Hard ready",won't Initialized", recognize "Not "device is not them into mine It all started off fine the drive was recognized and I could see the files Hard Drive "Not Initialized", "device is not ready",won't recognize when I plugged in the USB cord I started a NOD scan of the drive and a few minutes later a spark flew off my power strip and the fuse blew - looks like a Hard Drive "Not Initialized", "device is not ready",won't recognize letter opener shorted between two of the plugs I think I killed the hard drive I replaced the power strip and started everything back up The drive spins but no longer is recognized by the computer when Hard Drive "Not Initialized", "device is not ready",won't recognize plugged in no drive letter for it Under Disk Management I see the disk listed as quot unknown quot and quot not initialized quot Originally I had the option to right click and select quot Initialize quot and I was given option to use two partitiion styles MBR or GPT I tried both to no avail and get the quot device is not ready quot message I can right click select quot Offline quot and get the same message right-click quot Properties quot say the device is working properly I plugged in another drive on the hard drive adapter and it works so it's not the vault of the adapter I try the same setup on my laptop and get the same results So I'm pretty sure I killed the drive I just care about getting pictures and documents off it Any advise I know there are data recovery services out there that can probably help me but I'd rather not pay the big bucks if I can avoid that

A:Hard Drive "Not Initialized", "device is not ready",won't recognize

If you have killed the drive, there isn't very much you do about it. Even experts cannot sometimes recover anything, and it's just a wast of money.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/267704-hard-drive-not-initialized-device-not-ready-wont-recognize.html
Relevancy 92.88%

My hard drive not showing in "my computer" or "Disk Management" but is showing under device manager. I got the hard drive from a friend and his dad had put a Password encryption on it. Any Ideas?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/60253-hard-drive-not-showing-my-computer-disk-managment-help.html
Relevancy 92.88%

Mods if you feel that this thread is more of a quot Windows quot issue please feel free to move this thread Here last year I did my second build because I was having quot boot quot issues Wasn t certain what exactly the problem was at the time But something some how screwed up the boot sequence in my system failed a selection required "The because "0xc000000e" device......... code Error boot and where everything was pretty much quot outdated quot I just went ahead and did another build Though since then I ve been pondering around with the thought of using a SATA to IDE adapter so that I can retrieve Error code "0xc000000e" "The boot selection failed because a required device......... what ever salvageable data I can from one of the two HDD s that was in my last build So I finally broke down and ordered a couple different one s earlier this week Unfortunately I ve been running in to some problem s when I try to launch with the IDE in place Upon initial launching the boot sequence seem to take some time longer than it normally does with out the IDE HDD in place Though after a - sec lapse I ll get an error screen displaying an windows error code of quot xc e quot with a prompt message below stating quot The boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible quot I searched all over online to see what that error code represents only to get quot pages after pages quot of sites with each site telling me something different I have no intentions of using this as a third HDD in my system I just want to retrieve select data from it nbsp

A:Error code "0xc000000e" "The boot selection failed because a required device.........

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-code-0xc000000e-the-boot-selection-failed-because-a-required-device.1041435/
Relevancy 92.88%

I have a big problem here,
I have used my hard disk for 9month,
Yesterday when I watched movie on the half way,
My hard disk suddenly disfuntion,
And I thought my laptop problem due to always lagging so I restart my computer.
But after that I can't read my hard disk (WD)in my computer.
It can read in computer management there.

Ways I try:
1)I try to uninstall and reinstalled again,BUT it doesn't work.
2)I try to unchecked the hide folder and device at view.
3)I try to update the software BUT it still disfunction.
4)I try to use disk management and initialized it BUT there appeared CANNOT INITIALIZED Due to I/O device error.

Any solution for me ?

A:Hard Disk can't read in "my computer ", "initialized",I/O device error

The most usual cause is that the Hard Drive is beginning to fail. Back up your stuff. Go to the website of the manufacturer and test the drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/335190-hard-disk-cant-read-my-computer-initialized-i-o-device-error.html
Relevancy 92.88%

I'm hoping this is a simple fix. I'm trying to fix my elderly uncle's Asus laptop. System Repair pops up and fails. I booted to command prompt and found out it may be hard disk space. 400+ GB Hard drive (only one drive) and there's only 1024kb Free. I'm thinking that could be the issue. Hardware was checked out at the computer store and is fine. But they were going to charge him $200 to fix this failure to boot up issue. I told him to let me try first.

Can I possible "compact" this drive from the command prompt screen?

Note: I have no other Win 7 systems, so can't create a disk, and I have no original disks.
Also, no restore point has ever been set, and there are no partitions on the drive.

A:"Startup repair" failing - hard disk space issue?

Normally, I'd tell you to download a program or two to examine what's using the space or to clean up unnecessary files.

But with only 1024 kb of space, you probably can't install anything.

So--try this:

Start button, search box, type in "disk cleanup" and then poke the disk cleanup listing that shows up.

Let it clean up the drive and report back with how much space you then have.

You'll see an option in disc cleanup where it asks if you want to clean up system files as well. Say yes.

It should calculate how much space it will recover.

Let it run to completion. Might take a few minutes.

Then check your recycle bin to see if it's empty.

Report back with available space.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/366324-startup-repair-failing-hard-disk-space-issue.html
Relevancy 92.45%

Let me start Test" Failed Failure Monitor "System w/o CPU by giving you my specs AMD "System Failed CPU Test" w/o Monitor Failure Athlon Processor I gig of RAM Radeon AGP Graphics Card SoudMax Digital Audio Speakers Asus Motherboard though I can t be sure of what number it is it should have been one of the newest ones at the time I bought it last September fans Alright so I wake up this morning and my speakers are continually looping quot System Failed CPU Test quot I can mute the system but that doesn t work the only way to stop it is to unplug my speakers from the back of my computer I ve read other people who have this problem with one major difference My computer is still fully functional I can see my screen and type and use is just as if nothing was wrong knocks on wood It COULD be that it just hasn t gotten to that point yet but others have said that it started with a crash All of my fans are running as the SelectTech guy suggested I check So I m stumped How do I get my speakers to shut up Bobbi nbsp

Relevancy 92.45%

I have a new Gateway laptop and all last week I was using Error" "Disk Read SATA Laptop Drive Hard it to connect to my home pc using Remote Desktop I noticed a few times that after shutting the lid to the laptop SATA Laptop Hard Drive "Disk Read Error" and walking away when I would come back and open the lid the laptop would be froozen I wonder if it was becuase I was leaving the remote desktop connection open and then the laptop would go into sleep mode and it woudnlt wake up properly Either way the only way I could unfreeze it was by restarting the lapt by forcing it to power down Well the last time it happened after I held the power button and forced a shut down when I powered it back on it said quot Disk Read Error quot I have yanked the drive and connected it via usb to my dekstop pc The drive shows up in disk management but has a red circle in the top left hand corner of the partition and doesnt show up in my computer I put the drive back in the laptop and booted of an XP CD and choose the quot repair quot option I tried to do a quot MIXMBR quot but got a return message that NO partition could be found Does anyone have any ideas how I can recover from this I have Acronis disk director suite installed on my desktop pc and I can reconnect my laptop hard drive to the desktop pc but I don t know if it can do the job Does anyone have any ideas I really can t afford to loose my data Please Help nbsp

A:SATA Laptop Hard Drive "Disk Read Error"

This thread can be closed as #1 the issues has been resolved and #2 it doesn't look like anyone will be repying anyways.

Now, in the case that someone does stumble onto this thread here is an update....
Turns out the hard drive was physically damaged (or so I'm told). Since there was sensitive data on the drive I was being extra cautious and after removing the drive and connecting to another pc and seeing the drive but not the partitions or data I didn't even try FixMBR or anythinhg else becuase I didn't want to take the chance of further damage. I took the drive to a data recovery specialst who was able (for a small fee ofcourse) to recover the data. Since the laptop is still under warranty I took it into the store I bought it and told them the sit. Tehy gave me a new hard drive on the spot and I have now restored it back to normal. Thank You all and goodnight.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-laptop-hard-drive-disk-read-error.637884/
Relevancy 92.45%

I found" Drive "Operating Hard not system BIOS - error? or switched my Fujjitsu-Siemens Amilo li- the other day and was met with the dreaded "Operating system not found" - BIOS or Hard Drive error? operating system not found message I haven t changed anything big recently and it s more or "Operating system not found" - BIOS or Hard Drive error? less been working fine for a long time now I had however just had it in a bag and moved it across town so after reading up I thought maybe something might have come loose inside But I also read that it could be a BIOS problem and after going in there I noticed that under hard drive in main it said None Changing it to auto or user didn t seem to make much difference as it still wouldn t load and would always revert back to none However I also read that if the computer keeps resetting itself to an arbitrary time and date that it can be symptomatic of a CMOS problem my computer had been doing this occasionally for a month or two before this happened I also tried making a windows vista recovery CD and tried to boot off that but still got the same Operating System Not Found message Basically I want to make sure i ve tried everything before I open the case and go poking around inside as I d really have no idea what i m doing but i m hoping it s just a loose wire that will be pretty self-evident when I open it up Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 92.45%

athlon 2600+, Gigabyte NNXP Mobo, Windows 2000, adding a new 250Gig slave HDD (Seagate ATA).
Plugged it in and booted up, bios sees it, boot windows, starts hdd install, instead of success message, a message comes up that there was an error with the install and data services were locked, click finish.

Once windows had fully finished booting, no second drive visible, did "find new hardware", and selected exclamation marked hdd, and installed drivers from win update. The hard drive still does not appear in the My Computer drive tree.

Please, does anyone know what's happening here? Can this be fixed?

A:Hard drive instal error "data services locked"

Check your Disk Management. You can find this in:

Control Panel
Administrative Tools
Computer management
Disk Management

It should tell you if it is properly formatted, healthy, or degraded. Post results.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-instal-error-data-services-locked.80595/
Relevancy 92.45%

On one system I am getting this error message once every day or two. The hard drive has over 300GB available. The verbatim error message shows nothing in Google.

It reads:
"The space on the hard drive is running low. Currently only xMB is free. Please free space by deleting unused files."

Now it shows 71MB free. Any thoughts?

A:Error Message "The space on the hard drive is running low" isn't true

so do you have 300 gb? or only 71 mb? because if its 71 mb, u have got some major cleaning to do. I doubt that though, some viruses clutter the hard drive. If you have plenty of room, and your still getting the message then you can follow these instructions to remove the annoying message.

Low Disk Space Warning in Vista - Vista Forums

1. open regedit
2. go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer
3. Right click explorer and then select new then DWORD (32 bit value)
4. name it NoLowDiskSpaceChecks
5. right click it and press modify
6. change its value to 1 in hexadecimal form then press ok
7. log out and back in and message should be gone.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/248067-error-message-space-hard-drive-running-low-isnt-true.html
Relevancy 92.45%

I installed Windows 7 on a new (smaller) hard drive using recovery disk. After installation went successfully (according to the pop up the dialog box), the machine restarted and I got the error "No bootable device". The machine is Acer Aspire one netbook with Windows 7 Starter.

The computer detected the hard drive in BIOS. I also connected the hard drive to another machine externally and here's the partition info:

12GB Healthy (Recovery Partition)
102MB NTFS, System Reserved, Healthy (Active, Primary Partition)
97.67GB NTFS, Acer, Healthy (Logical Drive)

How do I get this laptop to boot up with the new hard drive?

A:"No Bootable Device" error after win 7 installation on new hard drive

did you check your bios and make sure the new harddrive is set to the first device to boot from?

scrooge

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/191689-no-bootable-device-error-after-win-7-installation-new-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 92.45%

Hey Gang,

I'm using Norton Ghost 9.0. I'm trying to back up my C and D drives to an external drive. Its a WD Caviar 250 GB. Its Brand New. I got it today from Tiger Direct.

I've Fdisked, Formatted and Scandisked. However when I try to create a backup with Norton Ghost 9.0 I get the following error:

I have Goback on my machine but I've disabled it.

Can anyone help me out?

thanks,
HULK!

A:"Externally Altered" Error on Brand New Hard Drive

It sounds like something running on the system has changed a file that GHOST was trying to copy. I don't believe this has anything to do with the new drive, it's something running on your system. Try using the bootable CD to do the backup, that precludes any files being open and/or modified during the backup.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/externally-altered-error-on-brand-new-hard-drive.526065/
Relevancy 92.45%

Hey guys I need Getting on data Error" drive "Hard SATA Disk second one of you hardware geeks to help me here I finally bought the Maxtor DiamondMax hard drive Its SATA Gig with a Meg Cache and NCQ I already Getting "Hard Disk Error" on second SATA data drive have a SATA WD Raptor as my main drive and Getting "Hard Disk Error" on second SATA data drive trying to install this one has a data drive I have an Asus PW D Premium Board When I boot up it takes a long time about a minute to do anything than I eventually get a quot Hard disc error quot and I have to hit F to continue The BIOS recognizes the drive but Windows does not I ve swapped out the cable and tried a different controller same result While I have like hard drives laying around they are all PATA--no SATAs to try I think the drive is damaged I downloaded Maxtor s PowerMax but its worthless--goes through some tests and the inital ones pass and later ones fail but its the same thing on the other drive the Raptor and that one works fine Tells me eventually to contact Maxtor Tech Support on both drives Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 92.45%

Hello,
Today morning when I turn on my laptop, I got an error from Intel Rapid Storage that the laptop may fail and I must take a bacjup. I tried running Boot time Diagnostic and it gave me following message:
Error Code 2000-0151
Validation 116622
Msg: Hard Drive 0 - S/N W0VAY77L, Incorrect status = 3E 
SMART Predictive Failure.
Please guide me if HD need to be replaced. My laptop is under warranty.

A:Error Code 2000-0151 - Hard Drive incorrect status 3E Smart Predicitve Failure

Hi navedalamalam,
2000-0151 error indicates your hard disk drive (HDD) has failed and may be nearing the end of its life. Please backup the data from the system if it’s booting up. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, select the OS, then download the BIOS from BIOS section onto the system and install it. Then run the diagnostics again.
http://dell.to/18r60nI
Please refer to the video in the link below for updating the BIOS.
http://dell.to/164n7sH
Please let me know if this helps.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19640886
Relevancy 92.45%

This is kinda long and I've fixed it but could use your input So after waking up my parents informed me that the computer was shutting down randomly I turned it on and quot a "a press " restart disk ctrl+alt+del to Drive, error occurred Hard disk error occurred press ctrl alt del to restart quot appeared It's a Sata hard drive so I checked the cables to make sure they were plugged in correctly and they were and then I tried connecting it to another computer with that computers cables and that didn't work either My parents not wanting to buy one online decided to just go to bestbuy and buy one there since we already had the Windows Disk at home I formatted it partitioned it and installed Windows Home Premium on Hard Drive, "a disk error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart " it and everything worked I decided to connect the Hard drive that didn't work while the computer was still on and it immediately started downloading the drivers it needed and up popped all the hard drive I'm going to start transferring all the important things like music videos and games and after Hard Drive, "a disk error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart " all I can see are the following things after getting all the data we want off it should I reinstall Hard Drive, "a disk error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart " windows to see if my other computer will recognize it Even though it couldn't before format it and just use it as extra data though since it already couldn't boot up the ability to keep data on it may fail in a couple of days weeks or just put it away and not use it at all What would you guys reccomend I do

A:Hard Drive, "a disk error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart "

First get the data you need off it.

Then go to the mfr and get their HD testing utility and run it.

If it were me I wouldnt trust it. I have been burned before.

You certainly could use it for storage of, say one set of backups, for the chances of losing your OS HD, and that backup at the same time are nil.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/224382-hard-drive-disk-error-occurred-press-ctrl-alt-del-restart.html
Relevancy 92.45%

My Windows configuration is relatively bullet proof ha ha nervous laughter My OS and programs are on C which I image using RDriveImage every month after Patch Tuesday My data is on software-mirrored D F drives So as long as I don't have a catastrophic event affecting my computer a routine quot drive failure quot should be recoverable with the worst-case being I'd be out a month of updates but with a good recent image of the OS drive Anyway I was recently looking at my event viewer and I have quot Disk errors quot that occur whenever I run a full image of C to when event invisible "Disk error" viewer, hard except drive imaging The complete error text is Quote Log Name System Source Disk Date PM Event ID Task Category None Level Error Keywords Classic User N A Computer xxxxxx Description The driver detected a controller error on Device Harddisk DR Event Xml lt Event xmlns "Disk error" invisible except to event viewer, when imaging hard drive quot http schemas microsoft com win events event quot gt lt System gt lt Provider Name quot Disk quot gt lt EventID Qualifiers quot quot gt lt EventID gt lt Level gt lt Level gt lt Task gt lt Task gt lt Keywords gt x lt Keywords gt lt TimeCreated SystemTime quot - - T Z quot gt lt EventRecordID gt lt EventRecordID gt lt Channel gt System lt Channel gt lt Computer gt xxxxx lt Computer gt lt Security gt lt System gt lt EventData gt lt Data gt Device Harddisk DR lt Data gt lt Binary gt E B C D D C FFFFFFFF C E A FAFFFF A FAFFFF lt Binary gt lt EventData gt lt Event gt There were two errors in February none before that three in March four each in May and July In April and June I did incremental images so the quot bad quot area wasn't imaged so no error With all the above as background what's the safest way for me to isolate and or repair the area s of the disk with the errors The errors are always logged within - seconds of each other so I suspect it's just one bad area And I have never ever seen signs of a disk error No BSOD no clicking noises no impaired performance even for a moment

A:"Disk error" invisible except to event viewer, when imaging hard drive

Try going into your BIOS to see what it has to say about the drive. Some BIOS's can read the drive's SMART status and can run tests on it. You could also download the disk manufacturer's drive diagnostics to check it out. Or see what Seatools (from Seagate) has to say about it:

SeaTools | Seagate

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/240332-disk-error-invisible-except-event-viewer-when-imaging-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 92.45%

I have a problem with windows saying my 1TB WD HDD isnt there. When I boot my computer up i can see it on the boot menu, but when i log into my computer an error message pops up and says "error: core library not found", and my D: is gone. I boot off of a 64gb SSD. It also seems the problem is getting worse, earlier I could access the HDD but it would randomly disconnect sometimes, and a restart would solve the problem. Awhile after that (few hours or so) it would disconnect whenever i tried to access it. And when i rebooted I could see it again, but if I tried to access it would continue to disconnect. Now whenever I boot I can see it in the boot menu but when I get into windows I get that error message.

A:2nd internal hard drive wont appear "error: core library not found"

Have you re-seated the power & data cable to the 1TB HD ?

How does in show up in Disk Management ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/151787-2nd-internal-hard-drive-wont-appear-error-core-library-not-found.html
Relevancy 92.02%

Hello,

I am connecting a 640GB Samsung G2 Portable External Hard Drive to my HP Pavilion 15 Laptop.
The external hard drive works on other desktop and laptop computers here at work, but when connected to the HP Pavilion (Windows 8.1 OS) it shows up as a Local Disk (H: but when trying to Open the drive it says:
?Location Not Available H:\ is not accessible The device is not ready.?
What should I do?
Assistance is much appreciated...

A:External Hard Drive - Error - "Location not Available"

Welcome to Windows EightForums, jhnel.

Is the drive in the correct format?

Windows key + X > Choose Disk Management. It should tell you format and partition info there.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/40470-external-hard-drive-error-location-not-available.html
Relevancy 92.02%

My Dell laptop is displaying this message upon booting up I have no idea how to start fixing it or figuring out "Internal detected" Error Drive not HDD - Hard whether it is fixable My dell charger is worn out and the computer has not recognized it -- it still gets power to the computer but the computer does not recognize it as a dell charger and therefor I can run the computer on AC power but it cannot charge I haven t needed to use my HDD Error - "Internal Hard Drive not detected" laptop out of my house in HDD Error - "Internal Hard Drive not detected" awhile so I haven t really worried HDD Error - "Internal Hard Drive not detected" about it but can the fact that the battery has been totally drained for awhile about a week I think -- and totally drained if I unplug the charger it turns off immediately have something to do with it I have it on a working charger right now trying to revive the battery but the battery light is not on so I don t think it s even charging If trying to charge it doesn t help what do I do I can still run setup and the boot menu but I have no idea what to do when running these nbsp

A:HDD Error - "Internal Hard Drive not detected"

"My dell charger is worn out, and the computer has not recognized it"...

Your post is confusing. Are you talking about the AC adapter (charger) here? If the charger isn't being recognized by the laptop, how is the charger able to power the laptop?

The laptops internal battery is probably dead. They don't last forever. What about this " HDD Error - "Internal Hard Drive not detected"...?"

This means that there is something seriously wrong with the hard drive. This hard drive stores all your data, pictures, email and Operating System

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hdd-error-internal-hard-drive-not-detected.82332/
Relevancy 92.02%

My computer is a bare bones kit from tigerdirect.com, there are no problems with the computer, just the hard drive, for about 6 months I had Fedora Core 1 installed, with a just a boot error (GRUB loading stage2Read error) this weekend my friend gave me an XP Pro CD with SP1, I have completly formatted the drive, I boot the XP CD, create the partition, format the partion, copy files for XP install, reboot, and then I get "A disk read error occured, press CTRl-ALT-DEL to reboot" I in the proccess of doing a "zero-fill" format, just from the error I get, I am leaning towards faulty drive or bad MBR.

if anyone needs more info then please ask, if anyone has any suggestions then please post them

Specs:
120gb seagate 7200 RPM 8mb cache

Relevancy 92.02%

I am receiving these 2 error messages (see below). Message #1 pops up first and then is followed by Message #2

Message #1:

"hpqthb08.exe-strong name Validation Failed which says, (Strong name validation failed for assembly C:\Program Files\HP\digital imaging\bin\hpqthb08.exe The file may have been tampered with or it was partially signed but not fully signed with correct private key )"

Followed by Message #2:

hpqth08.exe Common Language runtime Debugging Services. Click OK to Terminate or Cancel to Debug

HELP!

A:ERROR MESSAGES: ""hpqthb08.exe-strong name Validation Failed..."

Closing duplicate to: http://forums.techguy.org/windows-nt-2000-xp/545998-error-messages-hpqthb08-exe-strong.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/error-messages-hpqthb08-exe-strong-name-validation-failed.545981/