Windows Support Forum

motherboard is bad can I download data from the hard drive?

Q: motherboard is bad can I download data from the hard drive?

my old e-machines T2742 has a fried motherboard, (according to the folks at Best Buy). I had a bunch of stuff on the hard drive that I of course failed to back up anywhere. Is there a way I (not a tech type guy), can access and download the data on the hard drive? And while I'm at it I have the computer opened now and am wondering just where the motherboard and hard drive are located. I did manage to upgrade the ram by myself. Thanks for any help.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: motherboard is bad can I download data from the hard drive?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: motherboard is bad can I download data from the hard drive?

Did you get the license number of that Emachine.....?

I'm not familiar with the number you gave, but, if it has a PATA (IDE) HDD, you must change the jumper on the drive to the slave position and then install it in another computer in the "slave" position on the ribbon cable. (The connector in the middle). You can usually get the HDD jumper diagram by downloading the manual to your drive at the manufacturer's web site.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-is-bad-can-i-download-data-from-the-hard-drive.84312/
Relevancy 74.82%

I am apologizing before I start because I have limited knowledge and hope not to waste anyone s time The story I am trying to recover a few from recovering laptop Problem drive motherboard hard data after failure data files from Problem recovering data from laptop hard drive after motherboard failure my old hard drive I have removed my hard drive from my laptop in which the motherboard crashed The hard drive is about a year old laptop years old I placed the removed drive into a usb drive enclosure The failed computer had Vista OS my new computer has Windows OS The failed drive has a password on it at the level of logging into windows When I connected old drive to new computer via usb the new computer recognized it and gave it a drive letter If if clicked on the drive I could see the files in it When I tried to go to the files that contained my data I got a message that I did have permission to open them Then the new computer continuously tried to open the file This process wouldn t stop even trying to kill it with the Task Master I had to pull the drive out of the usb and reboot my new computer questions What should I do Is this a problem with conflicting OS systems passwords too many OS I have looked at forums but could not find anything that I could understand and use Any suggestions Thanks nbsp

A:Problem recovering data from laptop hard drive after motherboard failure

Try to take ownership.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-recovering-data-from-laptop-hard-drive-after-motherboard-failure.166676/
Relevancy 61.92%

hi i have a scSi disk GB i [Hard header sql recovery] data Drive / extractors data lost information from it and tried to recover with other recovery softwares to no avail finally i got winhex amp got the professional licence i can now data extractors / sql header [Hard Drive data recovery] be able to see all the information on the whole NTFS partition but the problem is that i data extractors / sql header [Hard Drive data recovery] can t be able to recover it when ever i open the logical drive i can see all the information and most of the information is stack up in a quot free space quot which is around gb which i can be able to see has all the information that i need i have tried to recover the free space but its only copied to the location that i specify and no recoveries are made recovering the files by type name has bore no fruits a freind told me i have to curve out that area and use data extractors to get the information out of that area freee space the information in that drive are sql data bases and zip files whats the header for sql what techniques do i use to curve out that space and be abele to extract the information for i can even read the information in text format which are the data extractors available in the market kindly assist its quite urgent i get this information out nbsp

A:data extractors / sql header [Hard Drive data recovery]

I don't know where this thread properly belongs -- but I suspect the question may be too esoteric for most here.

Since it involves data recovery from a hard drive I'm going to move it to Hardware, I think "all other software" is not likely to have anyone with this type of experience.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-extractors-sql-header-hard-drive-data-recovery.438131/
Relevancy 60.2%

Is there a program taht will allow for this, that is relatively cheap, or is there a way to do it without using a program?

Relevancy 59.34%

Hi,

I have two hard drives(40 GB & 160GB both internal) installed in my system. Earlier I had installed windows XP on the first hard drive (40GB) and was using second hard drive as additional storage. I had partitioned my second hard drive into 5 partitions P, Q, R, S, T. Recently I reformatted my first hard drive and reinstalled windows XP. However this has also affected my second hard drive. Now Windows shows only two drives C: (my first hard drive) and D: (second hard drive) as only one partition each. Moreover it is not showing any data on the second hard drive. I want to get back my parition info and data on the second hard drive. I thought that formatting my first drive will not affect second drive and therefore didn't take back up of the second drive. What shall I do to get back my data and partition info.
Regards,
Ansh

A:How to get data from second hard drive after reformatting windows on other hard driv

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-get-data-from-second-hard-drive-after-reformatting-windows-on-other-hard-driv.861162/
Relevancy 58.91%

I know, seems like a silly question, but here is the specific situation.

My MB seems to be going, half the time won't boot up completely, won't recognize the Intel onboard raid chip etc. I already replaced the power supply and no help.

So my question is this.

If the raid (just 2 drives) was built with the MB onboard Raid and I replace the motherboard, what is the best way to do it without losing all my data?

If I remember correctly, when I go to build the raid again, it will erase all data on both drives.

For the record I do have a backup, I am just trying to see if there is a way to do this without having to go through the restore and everything.

Thanks for the help!

A:Will replacing motherboard erase drive data in RAID?

Never tired it, but I would assume if raid is enabled in the bios of the new board, it will recognize the array just fine, the real issue is it probably will not boot, since the hardware is too different.

Moving a windows installation from one mobo to another has its challenges.

See "Replace a failed Motherboard" section

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-replacing-motherboard-erase-drive-data-in-raid.877378/
Relevancy 58.05%

With drive sectors, health drive smart hard 2 bad my is good but shows data my Seagate GB sata hard drive the re-allocated sectors count shows bad sectors in the Ubuntu disk utility for the smart data In this multi-boot desktop PC the XP with a my hard drive smart data shows 2 bad sectors, but drive health is good drive monitor program called Active Smart shows this drive health status as good including that reallocated sectors count item so is this not to worry about for now or what I do monitor the hard drive temperature which does stay cool enough in the seventies up to about F Or can this be caused by mixed partitioning methods since the new way is now align to MiB and not align to cylinder as it was I used the GParted tool to create and change partitions when it was set as default to align to cylinder but then I recently used both my Vista Disk Manager and the newer version of GParted to re-size some of the partitions which both now use that align to MiB method by default which often has near MB gaps between partitions then nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-hard-drive-smart-data-shows-2-bad-sectors-but-drive-health-is-good.955462/
Relevancy 58.05%

i can't get my puter to read the data on an external hard drive. wants me to format it even though it recognizes the drive letter i gave it when i did format it. don't want to lose the 100+ gigs of data i have on this drive.

A:my computer recognizes the drive letter but not the data on external hard drive

Does the external drive work on another machine?

Also, while the drive is still connected, can you go into Device Manager (right-click My Computer, click on 'Manage...', click on 'Device Manager') to check for any yellow exclamation marks or red crosses next to anything in there?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computer-recognizes-the-drive-letter-but-not-the-data-on-external-hard-drive.472352/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello, I'm fairly new to these forums but would like to request help for upgrading my laptop. I am thinking of adding a 120GB Msata and 1TB HDD to it (to replace 500GB). My question is how would I go about transferring my dat,a(Pictures, music, videos) to the new hard drive and setting the Msata as a boot drive(for OS and programs)? I would also like recommendations on which Msata/hdd to put in it? I have been considering these:

Amazon.com : MyDigitalSSD 128GB (120GB) 50mm Bullet Proof 4 BP4 50mm mSATA Solid State Drive SSD SATA III 6G (120GB)(128GB) : Computer Internal Solid State Drives : Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Seagate 1TB Solid State Hybrid Drive SATA 6Gbps 64MB Cache 2.5-Inch ST1000LM014: Computers & Accessories

but would like to know if there are better options available? Thanks in advance

A:How to migrate data to bigger hard drive and set Msata as boot drive?

I don't think you can use the Msata SSD as boot drive. It is configured in Raid with the spinner and serves solely as cache. It is just a fancy SSHD.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/323738-how-migrate-data-bigger-hard-drive-set-msata-boot-drive.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I had this idea, see if anybody has an opinion about this. My wife has an old XP computer I want to buy her a new one but she doesn't like the vista and she wants to keep the old xp operating system. What I want to do is take the old hard drive and put it in the new computer as the master and take the new hard drive and put it in as the slave erasing the vista off it. Then using the master slave way can I transfer the xp operating system and all her files and data from the old hard drive to the new one.

A:Transfer data from Hard Drive to Hard Drive

You cannot simply put the hard drive with XP on it in the new system to have the new system running XP either from the old drive or by transferring to the new drive. It just does not work like that
You need to install XP a fresh on the new system AND you will need a new XP license to do so.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transfer-data-from-hard-drive-to-hard-drive.758878/
Relevancy 57.19%

I want to install a 2nd hard drive and put all my apps and data on new drive then reformat my original drive with original
operating system (windows ME). What is the easiest way to do this? If I do this, how do I get all my programs back in the
START\PROGRAMS list and in the add/remove programs list? Thanks in advance for your help

A:I want to install a 2nd hard drive and put all my apps and data on new drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-want-to-install-a-2nd-hard-drive-and-put-all-my-apps-and-data-on-new-drive.101826/
Relevancy 57.19%

My C: drive only has a 9.43G capacity and I only have 240MB of free space left. I bought a 500G external hard drive, but I need to know if I can transfer all the files and programs from the C: to the external hard drive? Helpppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

A:Transfering c drive data to external hard drive

You can transfer all your data files safely - the operating system (windows XP Pro) should stay on an internal drive and I wouldn't attempt to run programs from your external drive - internal hard drives are quite cheap and easy to install - I would be inclined to get a bigger internal drive into your computer and use the external one for portability and back up purposes.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/transfering-c-drive-data-to-external-hard-drive-320844.html
Relevancy 56.33%

When i went to turn my comp on it wouldnt fully boot up.. all that happend was the fan was running... no beeping or anything.. so i thought it was my power supply so i put a brand new one in and went to turn on the comp and its still doing the same thing.. so now im thinking its either the mobo or hd.. i have no clue how to figure this out so if someone could help me that would be great...

A:Motherboard or hard drive?

I'm having the same reply as you. One thing I hope for me its the motherboard. It suck if it was the HDD. Have so much stuff on the HDD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-or-hard-drive.25987/
Relevancy 56.33%

My Dell Inspirion 6000 Notebook has the dreaded Blue Screen with c000021a (Fatal System Error) and will not boot to Windows. This has happened numerous times and the problem has been resolved by reloading Windows XP and the drivers and software. The system will work temporarily, but eventually shuts down and returns to the blue screen. It seems Windows XP gets erased every time the system crashes. I'm assuming the problem is either my harddrive or the motherboard. How can I tell which one is causing the problem?

Relevancy 56.33%

Hey guys, in couple days im getting a new MB, cpu, ram and case. I was wondering, can i put my old hard drive in, than just install drivers and bios for my new MB?

Relevancy 56.33%

I have a Latitude 600 and when I turn it on, it may take up to 10 minutes or not at all. It will only stay on about 10 minutes or so then has a message saying preparing standby in order to eject.... The battery died just before this started happening. I have been in contact with Dell support 3 times...one said hard drive dying, another said motherboard, another said power supply...so which is it? I tried to do the test by pressing Fn and the power button but that does not work. I doubt this old thing is worth putting a new motherboard. I was also advised to never try working on a laptop myself..is it really that bad? Thanks

A:motherboard or hard drive?

Try replacing the power adapter first. Does the computer boot normally and are you able to access all of your files and folders. If the hard drive was failing those wouldn't be the symptoms in my opinion. Also go into the control panel and change the power settings to never hibrinate and to go into standby after say 60 minutes of inactivity and turn off hard disks after at least 60 minutes. See if those things help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-or-hard-drive.54831/
Relevancy 56.33%

this all started last saturday I woke up and i was hearing clicking coming from my computer I moved the mouse to get out of the screen saver and it froze up I restarted and windows xp pro wouldn t boot up maybe drive Hard then motherboard? it would just sit at the loading screen and i would watch the little blue thing go from right to left o o after that i restarted and got into safe mode to try and run chkdsk it stoped at and the system started to freeze up but i would move my mouse and move widows around but thats about it from there i rstarted Hard drive then maybe motherboard? again the drive no longer shows up on the ata onboard controller I took the drive to a shop and they ghosted the drive to a new one the guy mentioned that the drive was giving him some trouble and that it was definatly bad Anyway i got the new drive yesterday I plugged it into the same spot and all worked well until i was watching TV on the TV tuner card it started to freeze up again the tv was still playing but i couldn t do anything so i restarted and then couldn t get into windows then the drive didn t show up SO i moved the drive over to the primary IDE controller where i am now in safe mode cause windows xp still wont load this time is seems to hang after i log in and durring quot loading personal settings quot System specs Gigabyte PE Ultra onboard promise ata raid p ghz gb ddr pc radeon pro gb Western Digital hd system drive that originaly screwed up gb Western Digital hd another hard drive for storage gb Maxtor hd more storage x DVD-rom Pioneer DVD-rw all the harddrives are located on the ata onboard controller not using the RAID function the dvd-rom and dvd-rw are on the normal IDE controller Right now i have the two other drives diconected from the ata and also disabled it and have the system disk on the normal ide controller which seems to be working fine except getting into windows the system drive was on it s own cable while the other two shared one Also when the system drive wouldn t show up the other two did those other two drives don t seem to be harmed though My thoughts are part of the ata controller failed while i was sleeping and caused the original gb system drive to fail also Then with this new drive i caught it sooner My concern is that the rest of the motherboard will fail also and i will lose more then just another harddrive if it is the motherboard So here i am to see what you guys think and how i should go about fixing it i think i gave all the info but in this state of tiredness i dunno if you need more details then say so did i mention already that there were no error messages any yea no errors just that the system hung kinda and the drive didn t show up Pwolf nbsp

A:Hard drive then maybe motherboard?

You could have some kind of virus that destroys your hard drives.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-then-maybe-motherboard.242078/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hey guess i drive? motherboard? or hard m new but we ll save that So my laptop compaq presario years old was running very slow and choppy i ended up defrag etc and ended up getting the blue screens of death It was at the point the computer would work for - mins then BSOD SOOO I reformatted totally hard drive? or motherboard? wiped the hard drive etc and did hard drive? or motherboard? a fresh install hard drive? or motherboard? of xp home i was running pro before Anyway that went fine and I thought I was in the clear Next thing I know same thing same BSOD x F x x CDA x CF x C A While this happend for awhile i began to get upset Now the laptop is doing the PXE-E check media cable blah blah Long story short I took it to get serviced they told me nothing was wrong with ram OR the hard drive wow thanks Then out of spite I took it somewhere else the guy there basically just used an HD of his and installed XP and said well it looks like a new HD is what you need Tried that but when I installed it I still couldnt get passed the media cable errors which he didn t even have Yes i ve tried changing boot orders etc Weird thing is sometimes it will load windows othertimes it won t And usually when I try to install windows it says no hard disk found blah blah F to exit Furthermore in bios times it will say NO IDE found for the diagnostic test and only one or two times have I been able to run the test both times giving an error something along the lines of - fail which i m assuming is a problem So with this all said its off warranty what s wrong I need this thing fixed I don t want it to be the hard drive controller nbsp

A:hard drive? or motherboard?

Well, if you replaced the HD and it still doesn't work right..

It could be a bad connection. Does your laptop use some kind of a tray or an adaptor for the hard drive? It may not give good contact. Maybe get another one?

I have also seen a ThinkPad that would lose the HD if you didn't bend the corner of the laptop right. Took it to the repair shop and had them re-solder all the hard drive connectors. Fixed it.

And yes, it could be plain bad HD controller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-or-motherboard.76113/
Relevancy 56.33%

The other day we had a storm, the power went out for a few minutes. When I restarted the computer, my hard drive was bare, it wasn't even formated. This has happened when the power goes out (not all the time). What I'm trying to figure out is if it is the motherboard or the hard drive. I have a Western Digital WD1600-JB hard drive and an Abit KV8-MAX3 (VIA K8T800) motherboard.

Thanks,

Ted

A:Motherboard or hard drive?

Replace the hard drive... Then if the problem persists, look at replacing the power supply before going for the motherboard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-or-hard-drive.85421/
Relevancy 56.33%

Here im like an amateur Technician I know a BAD MOTHERBOARD!? Bad drive? Hard lot of things although there's something that really questions in my mind These are like the performance of my PC Normally a hard drive can go like mb or more per second copying some files or something like that Installing Black Ops takes less than or minutes Loading a Counter Strike Source game takes around less than minutes or something like Bad Hard drive? BAD MOTHERBOARD!? that For some reason My friend's PC its like fried Back then he told me that its not that slow Of course i can see that it doesn't really seem to be so slow before After doing a format due to some reason that his PC became so slow kinda realized that something weird is happening to his PC Loading a Counter strike game takes like Minutes Installing Black ops took like an hour Loading a Modern Warfare Mission takes like minutes In the middle of battle takes like minutes Frame Rate was really damn smooth but its like when it reloads the sound file it takes like a minute to load it Mid Battle of some game shooting a shotgun one time sounded like BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZRRRRRRRRRRZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT then another shoot was normal We did another format but it doesnt seem to budge One time his BIOS is telling him that his hard drive doesnt exist anymore in the system so No boot Next day i opened it and checked the cables and turned it on it now tells me that it does exist So Bad Hard drive or Bad motherboard

A:Bad Hard drive? BAD MOTHERBOARD!?

Have your friend run a diagnostic test on his drive.
It is best to use a diagnostic program from the drive's manufacturer.

However, I have found that Hitachi Drive Fitness Test works on most any hard drive.
Downloads
Use the bootable Linux CD.

If the drive comers out clean, then you can start to suspect the motherboard.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/162945-bad-hard-drive-bad-motherboard.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a Dell XPS 4100 running Windows XP Pro with 2 hard drives 1)Western Digital(master) 2)Seagate(slave) both are 80 gig 7200 rpm. The problem I am having is this: When trying to access my Seagate drive a box popped up saying the drive needed to be formatted. It was already formatted to NTFS. When I tried to format another message said it could not be formatted. To make a long story short I somehow eventually was able to format the Seagate drive. Now when I boot up I get a message saying this drive needs to run check disk, which it does and then continues booting. I can write files to the drive but when I try to access them the PC will sometimes freeze. I purchased this drive about 6 months ago because a previous drive went bad. Can my motherboard be the cause of my drive issues? Thank you

A:Bad Motherboard or Hard Drive

Welcome to TechSpot

In PCs anything is possible, but I don't think the mobo causes it.
Rather, check the cables and the jumper-settings on the harddisks.
Those HDs would prefer a 80-wire flat-cable, rather than a 40-wire cable.
Check that the colourcoded connectors correspond to the instructions. Check that the red control-band is on the side of the connector where pin 1 is. Check all power-connectors.
Try another IDE-cable if you have it (or borrow one).
The first (WD) should be set to Master (or Master with Slave present), not to Cable-select. The second (Seagate) should be set to Slave, again not Cable-select.
Check in the BIOS that both HDs are recognised, write down their parameters.

In the Storage & Networking forum is a "sticky", get the HD-util for Seagate from there and run it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bad-motherboard-or-hard-drive.16425/
Relevancy 56.33%

My one-year-old out-of-warranty HP Pavillion dv laptop Windows XP Home has been slow or unable to reboot so I m trying to diagnose it and figure out if I just need a new hard drive where can I find instructions on upgrading a hard drive on this laptop or have Motherboard Hard vs. drive to replace the whole laptop with a new Hard drive vs. Motherboard one One of the problems found was the hard drive was in PIO mode so I had to repeatedly switch it back to DMA mode using the DMA-to-PIO registry hack or remounting the hard drive This occurred weekly until I ran SpinRite then it stayed in DMA mode for a month What I think is relevant from my Event Viewer Log include atapi event s The device Device Ide IdePort did not respond within the timeout period atapi event s The driver detected a controller error on Device Ide IdePort a single atapi event The driver has detected that device Device Ide IdePort has old or out-of-date firmware Reduced performance may result I think this may just be a generic message when it gets too many errors cdrom event The device Device CdRom has a bad block disk event An error was detected on device Device Harddisk D during a paging operation disk event The device Device Harddisk D has a bad block ftdisk event The system failed to flush data to the transaction log Corruption may occur Recently the main hard drive went to PIO even though it crashed while trying to Hard drive vs. Motherboard burn a DVD strange huh was unable to reboot until I ran SpinRite The Event Log has a couple strange events Event Type Error Event Source Service Hard drive vs. Motherboard Control Manager The HP Pci Information service failed to start due to the following error The system cannot find the path specified Event Type Error Event Source Service Control Manager The following boot-start or system-start driver s failed to load PCIIde What is PCIIde and how to I correct this or should I just ignore it My guess is that quot hard drive paging error quot events probably point to a hard drive malfunction but I just want to make sure I m not missing a simple software issue PCIIde or something else easy battery problem Would appreciate opinions on whether you would replace the hard drive or buy a new computer Let me know if posting an entire Event Viewer log would be helpful Thank you so much nbsp

A:Hard drive vs. Motherboard

It could be a bad drive, a bad connection or a bad controller.

Ideally, you would take the drive out of your laptop and test it with the manufacturer diagnostic utility.

In reality, you could just take the drive out, clean the contacts, put it back in and do the diagnostics in this computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-vs-motherboard.71096/
Relevancy 56.33%

I had all the parts for my computer selected and then I noticed that the MB and the HD might not go together. Im not goog with campat stuff at all Im thinking of building a computer. Could anyone tell me if this Hard Drive will work with this motherboard?

MSI P4N SLI-FI Socket T (LGA 775) ATX Intel Motherboard

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

A:Need help with Hard Drive to Motherboard

Yes, they should work fine. The motherboard has 4 sata ports, and that drive will take one of those ports. The motherboard also should come with the data cable, so you're covered in that area as well. The thing to consider is whether your power supply has a sata power connector, like this.

There are also molex(4pin) to sata adapters, so even if you don't have one, you can get an adapter. Sata drives can sometimes be troublesome to setup, but I doubt you'll have problems with that board, as it's newer and name brand.
Good luck on the system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-hard-drive-to-motherboard.35626/
Relevancy 56.33%

I m having trouble with my new system Drive? Hard or Motherboard The system is as follows Asus P N-D nForce i Intel E Core Duo ghz not overclocked gb of Ram x gb XFX nVidia GTX mb Motherboard or Hard Drive? - Latest Drivers Samsung gb SATA HD LG Optical Drive on ATAPI port Corsair w PSU External gb HDD on USB interface Vista x SP w all Updates I m getting these errors in my system log from disk or nvstor The driver detected a controller error on Device Harddisk DR A parity error was detected on Device RaidPort Reset to device Device RaidPort was issued I don t Motherboard or Hard Drive? use a RAID - I m running the Samsung gb drive that came with the system but this sounds like either a bad motherboard or a bad hard drive I m not willing to go out and buy a motherboard and or a hard drive to see if that s the problem so I m hoping you can help Please let me know how we can work this out ASAP I bought a nice new fast gaming PC so I d like to actually play a few games I ve ripped out and reinstalled the nForce drivers several times including using DriverCleaner in Safe Mode to really get rid of them I ve installed the previous version of the nForce drivers I ve disabled command queing and write caching I ve tried another SATA port on the motherboard I ve opened a topic on the iBuyPower forum where I bought the system recently in case there s more info there that might help http www ibuypower com ibpdri tm aspx m I don t want to run out and buy a hard drive in the hopes that that s the problem and I -really- don t want to swap out a motherboard for the same reason I need to nail down what the problem is or if it s just a software issue I somehow can t seem to trace Thanks in advance for any help you can offer nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

Hello

I am replacing my hard drive, is thier a way I can transfer the data over to the new drive myself without reinstalling my OS again?

A:Hard Drive Data

Most new drives from major manufacturers come with an image utility that will allow you to move everything to the new drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-data.166408/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a machine that has been sitting for about 6 months because either the PS or MO died. Can I take the hard drive out and put it in another machine as a slave so I can still get to my old data?

p.s next thing to buy is a flash drive to save my stuff on!!!!!!

Relevancy 55.9%

I have a broken laptop which I have removed the hard drive from, and I would like to get some pictures off of it. Is there any way to connect it to my working laptop without taking it apart? This is the hard drive that I need to connect:

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/nine-notebook-hard-drives-make-their-debuts,review-358-4.html

Thanks for any help.

A:Need to get data from an old hard drive

Howdy,

You need a IDE Enclosure that will hook up to your laptop via USB

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...aps&field-keywords=laptop+enclosure&x=16&y=17

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-to-get-data-from-an-old-hard-drive.966102/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all

I am trying to get the photos etc of my hard drive that i have taken out of a netbook that broke

i have the drive connected to a laptop running vista

Have been looking on here and have gone through the steps to asign a new owner

I can get to the folder i want ie pics but it wont show them and it says i donnt have permission even in safe mode i get this

Any ideas where ive gone wrong

Regards

A:getting data from hard drive

Just take ownership of the files/folders

Take Ownership of a File or Folder
Add "Take Ownership" to Explorer Right-Click Menu in Win 7 or Vista - How-To Geek

if the above does not work try enabling the super admin account

Enable the (Hidden) Administrator Account on Windows 7 or Vista - How-To Geek

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/getting-data-from-hard-drive-643939.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I have Windows pro and suddenly got the error STOP x B xeb b c xc x x inaccessible boot device If this is the first time you have this stop error screen restart computer If this screen appears again follow these steps Check for viruses on your computer Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard driver controllers Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated from Please data drive get me help hard Run chkdsk f to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer ----------------------------------------- I have done the windows repair and it would not work so I have a couple of questions The computer shop said they would have to format the c drive and there s alot of data on it I do not want to lose I can boot from a dos floppy and see the c drive Wouldn t the fact that I can read the c drive tell me that there s NOT a hardware failure but some sort of error in Windows that needs fixing Also could someone PLEASE tell me exactly how I can get the data off of Please help me get data from hard drive my hard drive I would like to copy it to a cd or dvd - I have both on Please help me get data from hard drive the pc because diskettes would be nearly impossible If I could borrow a copy of symantec ghost would that work And if so exactly how would I do it Thanks nbsp

A:Please help me get data from hard drive

If it was a hardware error, then a format would not fix it anyway, so you can probably rule out a hard disk failure. Thats no guarantee that the data is still salvageable though.

If your HDD was formated originally with the NTFS file system, then DOS will find the drive but not read the contents. DOS only understands the FAT system, not NTFS.

Its not a practical consideration to extract the contents via DOS anyway. The best way would be to re-jumper the drive as a slave and temporarily connect it in another Windows 2000 or XP computer and extract the data that way.

Since you have a DVD drive and burner, one should ask why the data was not backed up?. Its a salutory lesson, as hard drives fail quite regularly.

Get the computer shop to recover the data at the time they reformat?

Have you looked at the cost of a new hard drive, then fit your old one as a slave? Might be an economic proposition?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-help-me-get-data-from-hard-drive.289945/
Relevancy 55.9%

I recently had a few too Help off need data my Me hard please!!! I drive many memory-intensive programs open at once on my old computer I DO know better so I rebooted after it had frozen completely a process that I have done many times without a hitch Well this time there was a Help Me please!!! I need data off my hard drive major problem I got the following error message during the re-boot Windows could not start because the following file is missing Help Me please!!! I need data off my hard drive or corrupt C WINNT SYSTEM CONFIG SYSTEM I tried the Repair option after booting with the installation disk to no avail Nor was I successful using the Emergency Repair Disk I hade made with a floppy ages ago So I did the following Instead of using the R option while rebooting from the installation disk I typed C and entered into the Recovery Console There I renamed the above-mentioned corrupt SYSTEM file to SYSTEM OLD and then copied -- into the same directory -- a new SYSTEM file from C WINNT REPAIR Long story short it seemed to boot into windows OK CHKDSK then ran and showed lots of orphaned files which it supposedly repaired I had to re-install the graphics card and monitor and got everything working pretty well albeit squirrelly At this point I just wanted to backup some of my critical work data and had resigned myself to probably doing a clean re-install Well I couldn t back anything up to any external storage and shortly after that nothing worked whenever I clicked anything I got a prompt to run CHKDSK I rebooted and got the message ERROR LOADING OS Not good So I took that drive out of the computer thinking I might be able to get the data off of it another way I had another drive in there which I set as the master drive formatted and did a clean install of Windows I put the old drive back in as a slave and this is what happens now It shows in windows explorer but that s about all When I try to open it I only get a prompt to format it When I run COMMAND COM I get the following information in DOS C gt DIR F The volume does not contain a recognized file system Please make sure that all the required drivers are loaded and that the volume is not corrupted C gt CHKDSK F The type of file system is RAW CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives Can anybody help me access this drive I have design files on it need for work nbsp

A:Help Me please!!! I need data off my hard drive

im afraid the same has happened to 2 of my external drives . it sounds like you got a head crash on your drive thats when the head that reads the platter comes into contact with eah other.you need to get the drive to pc world or some data recovery place, where they take the platter out of the drive case using a clean room it is an expensive process theres plenty of rip off places doing it ranging between 80 & 759. pc world will do it for 99 and if they dont retreive data you want you dont have to pay a penny. so if you want to pay these rip off companys for you own data just have a real think so see if that data is really important to you.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-me-please-i-need-data-off-my-hard-drive.646968/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have two hard drives in my system. One is a Maxtor and the other Western Digital. Both have operating systems. I am trying to get data off of my WD hard drive by booting from the Maxtor hd. However, I am unable to view my WD hd in My Computer to get the data I need. I've already changed the jumpers with Maxtor being the Master and WD being the slave. So what do I do now???

A:Need help getting data off of hard drive?

Be sure your cables are snugly installed... Check the EIDE socket on the motherboard. Then check each drive individually. I am assuming you already have the newer 80 conductor, 40 connector EIDE cables... but you might try exchanging those ribbon cables with others, as the 80 conductor ones are very fragile, easily crimped, scratched or have wires pulled loose.
Double check the jumper settings for the Western Digital because they are different on some WD models when another drive is also on the system, than when installed alone.
Then run the Western Digital, then the Maxtor drive fitness tests, if still not working properly.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-getting-data-off-of-hard-drive.70934/
Relevancy 55.9%

I have 2 data hard drives D and E with about 130 Gigs of data one each one which has the same data because they are backup drives. When I do a select all to see how much data I have they both tell me about 130 gigs and when I go to My Computer and select the partition Drive D say's 130 gigs and drive E says 230 gigs. I'm the administrator and there are no hidden files or folder. One drive is a 750 Gig and the other is a 1T drive. It's my 1T drive that is giving me the 230 gigs. I think maybe the clusters are bigger, need to be defrag or something and I thought I would post to see if anyone know about this?

A:Data on the Hard Drive

Download windirsat and see exactly what is there
http://windirstat.info/

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/148128-data-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 55.9%

If I have a hard drive that I need information off of and I ran fdisk and deleted the primary dos partion and the recreated the primary dos partion and then set that partition as active.... how can I reverse or undo this or what can I do to get to the information on that disk? I did not format it.

Please help...
Other post is linked to this one but previous problem solved.

Thanks Byteman.

Relevancy 55.9%

I have a 40G hard drive partitioned into two 18.5G partitions. One partition (C:) for the operating system (XP) and programs has 16.3G used; the second partition (D:) is for data files, 9.66G used.

The C: drive is badly fragmented and does not have enough free space to run Defrag.

I want to put in a larger 150G hard drive and move all the operating systems, program files and data files to the new drive. I tried to run a back-up to no avail (not enough free space I think).

If I copy the files from the D: drive to an external hard drive, can I delete the D: partition? Would the space from the deleted D: partition automatically be transferred to the original C: drive partition?

I do not have the Windows XP disk or any disks for the programs. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

A:Too much data on hard drive

Yes, you can delete the partition in Disk Management. Start> right click on My Computer> Manage> Disk management.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/339964/too-much-data-on-hard-drive/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello I ve run into some issues in Getting off Drive Data Hard Old attempting to get files off of an old hard drive I had an old computer that my folks had been using and on which they had files that I would like to retrieve The hard drive on this computer was actually a replacement drive rather than the original The original was MB whereas this particular drive was GB Because of the computer s BIOS limitations when the hard drive was installed a program that came with the hard drive called quot EZ Drive quot was used to create two separte partitions one with GB the rest on the second partition The system orginally ran Windows but was upgraded to Windows even before the hard drive upgrade Windows was also run on this hard drive Well this computer has recently bit the dust but as far as I know the hard drive is still in working order In attempting to retrieve some of the Getting Data off Old Hard Drive files on the hard drive I have put it into another computer Before connecting it I moved the jumper on the hard drive to the slave setting The computer that it was placed into is a Pentium III running Windows ME I was hoping that by adding the hard drive as a slave drive I would be able to pull the files that I wanted off of it However when I booted the computer after installing the old drive it did not appear as a drive in My Computer However when I go into the Control Panel open System Properties click on the Device Manager tab and take a look at the Disk Drives I can see that the slave drive is at least being seen by computer because it is included on the list of attached drives However unlike the main drive which when you look at its properties it shows that it is Drive C the properties for the added slave drive does not indicate a drive letter I have no idea how much of that information is relevant but thought that I would provide as much as I could I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have on being able to access the data on this old drive Thanks nbsp

A:Getting Data off Old Hard Drive

EZ Drive is an overlay program (acts in place of the system BIOS) that has to be loaded at boot time.

Try setting the old drive as a primary master and booting from it. With luck, Windows 95 will boot at least in safe mode. If not, the DOS mode should still work. After that you can try copying the files to another (slave, FAT32) hard drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/getting-data-off-old-hard-drive.66533/
Relevancy 55.9%

I was wanting to ask if anyone knew of a way that I could transfer data from my old laptop, an IBM Thinkpad to a desktop PC hard drive. The laptop is incapable of being powered up as the motherboard is defunct but the hard drive itself is still ok. So what would I need in order to connect the two up and what software if any would I need to use. Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

A:Hard Drive Data

You will need a Laptop Hard Drive Converter kit which will enable the 2.5" laptop to fit the PCs 3.5" bay. It all comes with cable conversions.

Do a search for them, and you will find loads of places you can buy them. They run about $10, from what I have found

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-data.223932/
Relevancy 55.47%

My Dell Dimension turns on but the green light does not light up I can hear the fans running I can open and close the dvd and cd parts I can plug in my mp players and charge it but the monitor does not show anything but a black screen Nothing comes up Is my motherboard fried or did I crash my hard drive I dont know what to try my sister gave me the tower from her old compaq presario s wm but it wont work with my dell monitor I also tried and old mv compaq monitor but that didnt work either I thought I could use the old one drive hard fry crash or did my I my motherboard? until i got mine fixed or bought a new one if I cant get mine fixed then can someone offer some advice on how to get the monitor to work with the compaq tower I am on my nephew s laptop and he is staying until tomorrow so after that i wont be back for help so if I disappear its not because I dont care lol thanks so much for any advice nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

I'm thinking about doing a complete upgrade on my computer.

All I really want to save from my original tower is my 128MB of RAM and the processor. My motherboard was the 'onboard' type, so I'll be needing several new parts. I have a Pentium II 400MHz processor that I want to keep. What type of motherboard should I buy (keeping in mind the $$$)? (make personal recommendations). What type of hard-drive (10GB+ of course)?

Also, if someone could point out a good site for rebuilding a PC with my specs, I'd appreciate it.

Oh yeah, would anyone know of a good place that I could get a full copy of WIN98 SE for cheap?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Col

Relevancy 55.47%

I have won't Motherboard hard recognize drive a EP -UD L motherboard from Gigabyte A few days ago I got some IDE to SATA cables to add some hard drives to my computer I Motherboard won't recognize hard drive already had one internal hard Drive hooked up with my current operating system on it I wanted to hook up two more hard drives that I had from an old computer of mine The first hard drive I tried to hook up was a Maxtor brand hard drive I plugged it in booted up the computer and went to My Motherboard won't recognize hard drive Computer Computer in Vista the hard drive Motherboard won't recognize hard drive was not visible So I tried hooking up the other hard drive I had witch was the main hard drive on my old compter a Sony VAIO When I tried hooking that one up it tried to run Windows XP but could not I did not know it would try to run Windows XP I just wanted to format it and use it as an extra hard drive So I tried plugging my hard drive with Vista back in the motherboard The motherboard won t recognize it at all no matter where I plug it in at Strangely it does recognize the other two hard drives but the system disc won t boot up nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/motherboard-wont-recognize-hard-drive.923634/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi can anyone advise me please with regard to the following epic story I have an Acer Aspir g which new and motherboard windows and hard drive New act... came out of the box with windows vista ultimate bit pre-installed I bought it eight year ago approximately When Microsoft released windows and it was on special offer for the first three or six months can't remember exactly how long I went to CurrysPcWorld and purchased windows Pro whic New motherboard and new hard drive and windows act... cost me pounds sterling In the package was a bit amp a it DVD seeing as my machine is compatible New motherboard and new hard drive and windows act... for installing bit I decided to install bit My original hard drive had three partitions PQService partition whatever that is I don't understand A D partition with windows vista bit which i presume is your recovery partiton and C partition which had windows vista bit installed on it I inserted the bit DVD got into New motherboard and new hard drive and windows act... auto install on the upgrade or custom install I clicked the custom and then I clicked on the D partition and I either deleted it or formatted the D partition and merged it into one with the C partition so that left me with only PQService and a C partion Before I go any further the windows I purchased is not an OEM which I believe is tied to the motherboard you install it to I then did the clean install of windows Pro bit which went ok I then got notificaation to upgrade from Microsoft to windows which I did and was successful I then got notification to upgrade to windows Pro which although Acer didn't do a compatibility for my machine ie no new drivers I installed windows Pro bit and everything ok I also made a USB stick from windows media tool for windows Pro My motherboard malfunctioned so I managed to source a new one and also purchased another hard drive TB as my old one is only GB The shop who are installing my new motherboard and hard drive asked me for the Activation product key for my windows Pro which I gave them Now the technician that is doing the work has told me that he cannot activate my windows Pro which I want to install and then upgrade to amp He has told me that he thinks the windows Pro I purchased is an upgrade only DVD and that he'll have to install windows vista and then install windows As I understand it you can only upgrade from bit to bit on the same windows ie vista to vista So if he says my windows is only an upgrade DVD how has it done a clean install on a reformatted partition I also asked him how come I've installed my windows on many occassions doing a clean install if its only an upgrade DVD he said that it installed and activated because it used some of the windows vista files from my original system but I deleted my original system and or reformatted the partiton and merged it with the C partion I said to him that after he re-installs my windows and activates it with the windows activation key if I have any problems I can just re-install from my windows DVD he said I won't be able to do that and that it would require a Vista installation before i could re-install windows again i'm not a tech by any stretch of the imagination but the windows DVD that I purchased from CurrysPCWorld says on it that it can be used for upgrade It does not say for upgrade only so I presume its a full windows Pro version licence only which I believe is not tied to a motherboard but can only be used on one machine and I believe that if you have problems activating it with your key you can phone Microsoft and get them to activate it online is this correct i would really appreciate as much feedback on this as possible because the shop where my laptop is the owner has told me that i have to buy a new Microsot licence if I want to re-install either windows or windows without having to firat install windows Vista again nbsp Thanks any help nbsp nbsp Johnj

http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/New-motherboard-and-new-hard-drive-and-windows-activation-key/td-p/463626
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi all I was wondering if you could provide me with some feedback on a hard drive issue that started when I booted up my pc yesterday Hard Drive is WD GB SATA I received this error at boot up Read Disk Error or Failure WD Motherboard? Drive Hard CTRL ALT DEL to restart I restarted and luckily I was able to get to the desktop took longer then normal tho WD Hard Drive Failure or Motherboard? Checked Event Viewer nothing showed Checked Performance Logs no errors showed Decided to double check all the connections all plugged in nice and secure Rebooted Got the Read Disk Error again this time it took me x to get to desktop I decided to try another SATA connection on motherboard REbooted got error again I ran a chkdsk r and when system rebooted the Read Disk error showed up again After another ctrl alt del reboots I was able to get into Windows I downloaded the Diagnostic Tools from WD and my drive failed both the Quick and Extended Tests Not surprising lol Anyhoo here is a screenshot of my WD Diagnostic test results I was wondering if it was a HDD issue or a motherboard issue Any thoughts I would rather replace a HDD then a motherboard This WD SATA drive is less then a month old also BIOS sees the hard drive also tried setting BIOS back to default sometimes that works but not this time tho - I think I am living on borrowed time with this HD but before I replace I wanted to get more opnions Thx for the input

A:WD Hard Drive Failure or Motherboard?

Did you create the bootable CD ? ?
The results are more accurate then running it inside Windows.
Also you should be running the Long test.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/4976-wd-hard-drive-failure-motherboard.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I'm thinking of buying a new hard drive and want to make sure my motherboard will support it.
I have a ECS K7S5A MoBo and I'm looking a buying a :

Hitachi Deskstar 7K80 80GB Hard Drive (Serial ATA II, 7200, 8MB)
Interface: SATA II (Serial ATA II)
Interface Type: Serial ATA - 7 pin
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Cache Size: 8 MB
Maximum Transfer Rate: 3 Gbps
Access Time: 8.8 ms

Any help would be appreciated.
I just don't want to have to return it.

Thanks,

Rob

Relevancy 55.47%

hey guys unfortunately i can t get the name and model of my mboard but i i have the specs of the current hard drive that s in the machine and that works perfectly i ve never installed a hard drive before could someone tell me how difficult it is thanks Disk Manufacturer Seagate Model ST AS Size GB Firmware Version Serial Number MT P A Interface Serial ATA Standard ATA ATAPI- ATA ATAPI- T D version Transfer Mode Current Max SATA- SATA- Features S M A R T bit LBA NCQ Temperature C F Drive Letter s C E Controller Buffer Size on Drive KB Queue Depth Removable No Cache Enabled Read Write Yes Yes SMART Support Yes Attribute Name Attribute Value Worst Value Threshold Value Raw Data Raw Read Error Rate ED Spin Up Time Start Stop Count Reallocated Sector Count Seek Error Rate E Power On Hours Count C Spin Retry Count A Power Cycle Count C B HDA Temperature C ECC On The Fly Count C drive is my motherboard? with What hard compatible ED Current pending sector count C Off-line uncorrectable sector count C Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate C Multi Zone Error Rate C Data Address Mark Errors CA nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

Quote from my friends problem recently removed my computer drives - master and slave- when i went on holiday I put the system back in order and recently noticed my slave drive has not shown up in quot My Computer quot list I tried swapping the ribbon cables with no changes So i swapped the position of both drives in case it was the power cable Both are SATA so they use the same power cable But still no changes I removed motherboard or it drive this the of Is which or hard bios , is cause the slave drive F Drive and placed it into an external caddie and booted up It started to install driver for it and is running fine from there So after that i re installed it into the PC and still no change It simply does not exist I have run the boot set up on startup and it is not listed there It is simply a ghost to the PC Any ideas what it could be or how i could sort this issue out Also in hardware profiles under show hidden drives it is listed and clicking this states it is not connected Is there any solution that would help my friend Is it motherboard or hard drive or bios , which is the cause of this solve his problem N B please take that internal hard drive instead of slave

A:Is it motherboard or hard drive or bios , which is the cause of this

Quote:
recently removed my computer drives - master and slave

Both are SATA

There's some confusion from the start. There is no such thing as master and slave with SATA drives! Master and slave drives come from the old technology, EIDE (PATA) drives where you could have two drives attached to one "data" cable and one motherboard connector. With two drives on one data cable, there needed to be a way for the system to keep track of the drives, so one drive was designated as master, the other as slave. And this was determined by a jumper on the back of the drive and where on the cable the drive was connected.

But with SATA drives there is only one drive per data cable. Every drive has it own data cable and motherboard connector. So no master or slave designation is needed.

You can have more than one drive on a power cable with SATA, but that has nothing to do with master and slave - as again, no such thing with SATA drives.

The boot drive is determined by the boot order set in the BIOS.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/398368-motherboard-hard-drive-bios-cause.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi, I have a 1TB Hard drive in my HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition CTO Notebook PC and I would like to upgrade to a M.2 SSD.  I looked at the service manual here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03943414 Can this really only support 24GB mSATA SSD? Do I have any better options? I checked and I have a hp 1963 (ue31) motherboard. I couldn't find documentation on the motherboard to see if it was compatiable. Can someone help me?Thanks. 

A:Want to upgrade Hard Drive to M.2 SSD. Is my motherboard com...

An M.2 SSD is not compatible with your notebook. There is no M.2 slot on the systemboard to plug it into.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Want-to-upgrade-Hard-Drive-to-M-2-SSD-Is-my-motherboard/td-p/5723309
Relevancy 55.47%

My desktop computer's motherboard just died (had it confirmed by qualified tech people.) The computer was about four years old. It was a standard machine running XP home.

I am going to put together a new system, but someone mentioned that the new motherboards might not accept my old hard drive as the primary drive, which is a WD 40G drive. I can't believe this is true; won't a new motherboard just recognize it? That would save me the huge hassle of reinstalling everything....(as far as data, etc, I'm well backed-up in any case.)

Can anyone advise me on this?

thanks,
BJ

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi,

My motherboard is a DFI LanParty UT SLI-DR (details about the SATA-plugs can be seen here), and I'm currently looking for a new hard drive. The one I want to buy is the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, with a capacity of 1,5 TB.

What I'd like to know is whether my motherboard can support a drive of this size?

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-my-motherboard-support-a-1-5-tb-hard-drive.963699/
Relevancy 55.47%

Just got a new board/memoru/cpu. and our old hard drive does not like it. we get a blue scree...

i know formatting and re-installing xp would be a soulution, but a hassle.

we are looking for a way to avoid formatting.

llemee kno soon
thanks

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi everyone. I'm attempting to build a computer on my own. I've done minor things like switching video cards, upgrading processors, etc., but never started from scratch.

I've run into a problem, I think.

I purchased a Fujitsu 15k Ultra SCSI320 80pin hard drive. The connection doesn't match the one on my motherboard, Asus A8N SLI Deluxe.

Am I out of luck, or am I supposed to have an adapter of some sort? Sorry for the clueless questions. I'll try to supply as much information as required for an answer.

For information, I've only gotten to the "connect the parts" steps. Just got the motherboard in the case, and the processor and heat sink in place. Then I saw this problem and decided to come ask before I screwed something up.

Thanks in advance!

Relevancy 55.47%

Hello all,

I just got a SATA2 1TB HD but my motherboard (MSI KT3 Ultra I think) only has IDE ports. What's the cheapest solution to link the two but still utilizing SATA2? I could go USB2.0 (solution: external enclosure + USB2.0 PCI card since my MB only supports 1.1) but I would much have the faster connection of SATA2. Also, if I do have to add a SATA2 PCI expansion card, it should recognize the whole TB right? I know in some instances with older MB's, if you plug in a HD it will only register X amount of GB's. Any input is very much appreciated. Thanks!

A:How to add a SATA2 hard drive to IDE-only motherboard.

Buy a quality sata controller card. Yes, the card should "See" the full size of the drive as long as you read the specs on the card and it says it will recognize drives of that size.

I use and recommend either promise or highpoint controller/raid cards. There are cheaper ones however you get what you pay for.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-add-a-sata2-hard-drive-to-ide-only-motherboard.716132/
Relevancy 55.47%

I just installed a new hard drive on my computer, I am replacing an old 7 mb HD, with a WD 60 5400. I installed the hard drive and installed Windows XP, it was working fine, then I unplugged everything to put my computer back together and it would not read the disk. I thought maybe it was a bad disk so I hooked up my old HD and it too could not be read. Is my motherboard bad? I am using a Soyo K7VTA-PRO? Any help would be appreciated. Also, I noticed when my computer was looking for the IDE controllers, there was a line that said no 80-conductor cable, could this be the problem? I know this cable makes them run better but should it keep it from reading it?

A:New hard drive on Soyo Motherboard

You need to use an 80 pin IDE cable. One should have come with the new hard driver. Your old drive most likely uses a 40 pin cable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hard-drive-on-soyo-motherboard.21649/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have a Motherboard that is supposed to be SATA 150 ready. However, the HD I bought is a SATA 300 one. Will the HD work?
Thanks.

A:Hard Drive - Motherboard Compatibility

ftgml said:

I have a Motherboard that is supposed to be SATA 150 ready. However, the HD I bought is a SATA 300 one. Will the HD work?
Thanks.Click to expand...

Will it work, most of the time yes. If the drive is not compatible at a 3Gb. transfer speed you should be able to put a jumper on the drive to limit the transfer rate to 1.5Gb. and it should work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-motherboard-compatibility.700046/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi I recently bought a motherboard memory and processor bundle.

I also bought a hard drive which has 15000 RPM. Only when I received it its not SATA or SCSI but SAS harddrive

Supplied by Misco. Manufacturer is Fugitsu but Toshiba has now taken over that part of their business.

Model MBA3300RC
Can't post a link to the hard drive but google the model and it will come up.

I have then gone to much trouble to source a cable which is a SATA to SAS.
I then connected it to the mother board but the motherboard doesn't recognise it for love or money.

I know the mother board is fine because I tested it with another hard drive.

Do regular PC motherboards capable of supporting SAS hard drives?

Its an ASROCK Motherboard Model H61M-S

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-not-recognizing-sas-hard-drive.169466/
Relevancy 55.47%

I am looking to upgrade my motherboard, but keep my current hard drive and the content on it (due to having alot of programs and software plugins on it). I am running Windows 7 32 bit with and AMD Phenom II x2 CPU. My current motherboard is one I went to when my compaq desktop died a while ago and I wanted to upgrade my operating system and hard drive capacity anyway. So, the first link below is the motherboard I have and the second link is the motherboard I am looking at upgrading to (since the two are somewhat comparable in specs/give or take a few things). Any suggestions or help is welcome. Thanks!

1) My current motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135246

2) Motherboard I am looking to purchase
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394

Relevancy 55.47%

I have an intel CELERON MHZ CPU MB PC MHZ with drive hard problems or motherboard? PIN SDRAM which I bought second hand It has always had problems with sound and video programs when problems with hard drive or motherboard? opening other applications it bogs down and freezes has trouble problems with hard drive or motherboard? reading videos from CDs and takes a long time copying etc the hard drive seems noisier than it should be and grinds a bit now and then It also started having problem with freezing during the memory check when bootingI imagined that the root of the problem would be the hard problems with hard drive or motherboard? drive itself judging by the symptoms To check it out I installed a different hard drive and the computer turned on but would not boot no beeps no nothing at all and the screen remained blank or gave me the quot NO SIGNAL INPUT quot message I tried removing the battery and putting it back in to clear the CMOS but this did not work I put the original hard drive back in and took the same steps again and still nothing I also check the screen and hard drive on another computer They were fine Is it reasonable at this point to imagine the problem may be with the motherboard and not the hard drive thanks babalu nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

Good Evening I have a Dell Inspiron r intel core i GB Memory originally with a built in Microsoft Windows Purchased in It has since been updated to Windows and Windows nbsp I upgraded to Windows as soon as I found out Windows was free for people who had Windows Windows was working fine until July and then that s when the Motherboard gave out I tested it and it said the Motherboard is fine it s just the HDD Well the Hard Drive and Motherboard overheated and both died I have replaced a Heat Sink AND Fan to attempt to save it Yes I used a rice size amount of Thermal Paste to reinstall So now I purchased a nbsp New TB GB MB Cache RPM SATA quot mm Notebook Hard Drive and that was fine I also purchased a replacement Motherboard and Hard Replaced Drive Motherboard for my Laptop which came with no Software Replaced Motherboard and Hard Drive leading me to purchase Microsoft Windows Pro I have had trouble downloading Replaced Motherboard and Hard Drive the Windows pro as it would turn off during download and refuse to actually go on and give me the proper download for a while After days of trying I finally realized I had to remove the CD once it was installed and Windows Pro was installed on my computer After a few downloads Skype Google Hangouts and Roblox Online game to be exact the motherboard fried out I recently got a Motherboard on ebay from China and now I am trying a USA seller instead Is Windows Pro frying my Laptop I know I cannot download devices from Dell any longer but I would at least like it to work Can I get the Windows back for free Can I call Microsoft and Verify my Old Motherboard s Information for a new installation I have my old items still and serial Number I just no longer have a Warranty due to the time expiration Should I upgrade the Memory and can my computer s Motherboard handle that A couple of notes with the new Motherboard My computer no longer had a Serial Number tied to Dell but it was called a Inspiron Windows pro seemed to not work with the Motherboard Thanks for answering my questions any help would be appreciated

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19991457
Relevancy 55.47%

was wondering if it was at all possible to take the e-machines hard drive that has windows XP installed on it and run it on a new motherboard... and it be able to read the drives???

A:Hard Drive with XP to new motherboard/processor.....

you will be able to read the drives but you wont be able to run windows. You will need to reinstall windows on the hard drive after you install it in the new computer. then you will have to activate it also. It is also illegal to move the type of OEM version of WinXP liscensed to be installed on and Emachines computer on any other computer. It is called Piracy.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-with-xp-to-new-motherboard-processor.215833/
Relevancy 55.47%

This is what I want to do.Transfer everything from my ide on my computer to a sata drive on my computer and then use it in a new computer that I"m building.I had to slow down the drive to sata1 to get it to work in old computer.Drives are maxtor ide and Western Digital sata 2.I have both softwares.Running win xp pro all updates applied.Any help is going to be appreciated.
TIA,Allenv

A:Changing Hard drive and motherboard

You can transfer files and data but you will need to install Windows clean on new build...fine to have files and data on the drive in a separate partition so you do not format the whole drive by accident and lose everything, or use sata drive for clean install and then jumper the ide drive as slave and use whatever you want from it in new build.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-hard-drive-and-motherboard.556525/
Relevancy 55.47%

I recently had to purchase a new system. I could not re boot my old system because it would start a reboot then go back to a message stating that the system got interupted during start up. Could not open in safe mode, system restore or open in any setting. Not sure if it was a virus, but would now like to reformat the drive to give to my father in law. Does this problem seem to be a hard drive issue or a spent motherboard issue. I just replaced the hard drive last year?

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi I am planning to replace my motherboard and memory new Existing motherboard. on hard drive on my Win Home premium b I've been updating MBs for years and now I Existing hard drive on new motherboard. am getting conflicting Existing hard drive on new motherboard. answers regarding booting existing hard drive on new MB My present Win installation was installed on my present MB Before I have always been able to use an existing hard drive and OS on a new MB Now when I asked Gigabyte if a reinstall would be required they said no but the registry may be full of unneeded drivers etc which would affect performance This seems a solvable issue using registry cleaners and editors But I am also getting opinions that Win will not boot up on a new MB and reinstall OS would be required Existing hard drive on new motherboard. Considering the number of programs some on disks others from downloads activation keys etc this is a major problem Has MS gone bananas Who would benefit with this approach Does anyone have a definitive answer Thanks Bill

A:Existing hard drive on new motherboard.

First, Windows 7 is a lot more flexible with hardware changes, but at the very least, you should run Sysprep before moving to the new board. I would greatly recommend a clean install, especially if you plan ahead to cut down on how long that would take. However, Sysprep can remove some of the drivers to allow the system to be a little cleaner.

As for the copy of Windows 7, that all depends on your license. If you have a retail license, then you are fine. It should activate on the new system without issue, and it will be legit. If you have an OEM license, then that opens the door to a whole lot of gray areas, in terms of what is considered to be a new computer, and how legit your license will be, assuming you can activate it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/271148-existing-hard-drive-new-motherboard.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I just bought an AMD XP1700 board and a new atx case. In my old machine, I had a 40gb hd for primary, and a 20 gb for a slave. Now, my 40 Gig drive is not being read by the new board. Fdisk won't partition it or format it. I can't install anything on it, and the machine wouldn't boot off of it when I still had my OS on it. My old machine reads it fine, and the new board reads by 20 Gig drive fine. I installed Windows 98se on it, installed partition magic 7.0 and tried to partition the bigger drive from there, but its still not working. HELP!!!!

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi guys

basically im building my own pc, like new motherboard, RAM, graphics card case the lot. but i like my 500gb IDE hard drive and the mother board is sata compatible,. i have a cable converter for this but im wondering if my windows 7 OS will just run on the new mother board or not?

A:Can i just plug my old hard drive into my new motherboard using my win 7 OS?

Your old hard drive will be recognised as a hard drive, but windows 7 wont be able to use it, as the windows drivers were for your last computer, so the motherboard chipset, sound , LAN, and graphics card were all set for your last system.
If you have a spare hard drive back up all your own data first, then connect it to your computer.
It may work with a default display resolution but will then probably complain about the sound hardware, lan, chipset etc. You may be able to load these drivers from your install disks.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/can-i-just-plug-my-old-hard-drive-into-my-new-motherboard-using-my-win-7-os-501653.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I just bought the new motherboard with new parts but not hard disk.
I am still using the old IDE Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm hard disk.
After all the connection applied, although the pc has detected the hd, but finally failed to boot in to my windows xp.

Is IDE hard disk cannot be used in new motherboard? My motherboard is MSI-7270 K9N-U.

Thanks.

A:IDE Hard Drive with latest motherboard...

Howdy,

If you put a Hard drive into a new Motherboard with a Operating System on it it will not work unless the motherboard is exactly the same as the one it was formatted on.

You will have to re-install the Operating System while it is on that Motherboard for it to Recognize it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ide-hard-drive-with-latest-motherboard.546780/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey all I just built the machine below last night and have encountered a problem Connecting Motherboard Hard to Drive I just got a Gigabyte GA- INXP P Titan Motherboard which has IDE connectors of which are RAID I also have an ATA Maxtor hard drive and simply want to connect it on its own to one of the RAID connectors to utilise the ATA capabilities of the Hard Drive as the other IDE connectors on the Motherboard only support up to ATA according to the manual Can this be done The Promise RAID manual only talks of installing Hard Drives on the RAID connectors I have connected the Hard Drive to one of Connecting Hard Drive to Motherboard the RAID connectors - IDE yet when I boot up past the BIOS screen quot Verifying Pool Data quot appears and it just hangs there If I try and install Windows XP the Windows setup tells me that there is no Hard Drive installed yet the Hard Drive appears on boot as quot Maxtor Ultra DMA quot Do I have to change something in the BIOS like the quot RAID Controller Function quot because I changed this from ATA to RAID and back a few times yet still nothing I say all this because in the manual the specifications state that the RAID IDE connectors support quot RAID Ultra ATA EIDE quot Any help much appreciated nbsp

A:Connecting Hard Drive to Motherboard

Did you install the drivers for it? Did you press f6 at the prompt to let XP know you have an extra driver disk?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-hard-drive-to-motherboard.121160/
Relevancy 55.47%

I've come across this problem about 3 times in 1 year....it seems that one particular motherboard that I have just chews up my HDDs!! is this possible....I would alwys get the Unmountable Boot Volume BSOD after a few monbths of use with this Motherboard....It's an MSI P4M800 Series board...Has anyone ever heard of a prblem like this one??

A:Could My Motherboard Be Messing With My Hard Drive??

I guess it could be possible. Never heard of a similar situation though.
Does the MB have the latest BIOS and drivers?
Could possibly be an overheating issue with the specific computer case not having enough ventilation.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/could-my-motherboard-be-messing-with-my-hard-drive.711635/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have just bought a new motherboard/processor and had it put into a new case with a better PSU (given that my older system died recently ).I deliberately didn't get a new hard drive.
I intend to put my old ram and graphics cards on the new motherboard (they are compatible).
My question is - can I simply attach the old hard drive from my older computer with my operating system (XP) and files settings etc and expect there to be no conflicts when it boots up .?

A:Adding old hard drive to new motherboard.

Hi ohisay, and welcome to TSG.

Unless your new motherboard, BIOS and CPU are just about identical drop in replacements for the original parts, you will most likely have problems with hardware driver conflicts and getting Windows XP to run. If your PC came with an OEM version of Windows XP, I believe that the Microsoft license ties it to that that specific motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-old-hard-drive-to-new-motherboard.571400/
Relevancy 55.47%

Can't install win 7 stops at starting win insignia. Any Ideas on what the problem. And how to fix.

A:XPS 7100 new motherboard and hard drive

Are you booting to the windows 7 install disk and selecting Custom Install, Drive Options to allow windows to format the new drive? Read this for instructions--
windows.microsoft.com/.../installing-reinstalling-windows

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19669539
Relevancy 55.47%

I have not been able to resolve a problem which has been affecting my computer for a few weeks now please see below for my system spec -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Symptoms -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- hard drives motherboard, drive, ...is the hard or PSU? the the it a Want challenge? are failing to show in windows plugged in set up computer hangs frequently on the very Want a challenge? ...is it the hard drive, the motherboard, or the PSU? first boot quot push x to enter bios quot screen quot starting windows quot screen while booting can take minutes strange sounds from the hard drives Want a challenge? ...is it the hard drive, the motherboard, or the PSU? when they are trying to load data I had Windows upgraded from vista installed on my GB sata hard drive for about years and everything has worked flawlessly Recently it started to quot choke crawl quot on a pulse every seconds the computer would stop responding for minute and then work normally again I decided to start fresh for the first time in about years and installed Windows bit to my TB drive It has worked flawlessly for about days and now I am beginning to identify the same problems I had when the OS installation on the GB drive started to die slow boot some freezes unable to see hard drives -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Cause -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Any of these seem possible Faulty PSU voltages using too many devices without a surge protector I have the computer logitech Z surround sound quot LCD monitor all plugged into the same socket but this has worked flawlessly for years Faulty motherboard sata connections corrupt bios -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Solutions I have tried -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Using a different PSU on my GB OS installation had the same problems Trying different combinations with the cables from my PSU modular when I couldn t get the GB sata drive to boot at all using different sockets in the back of my PSU yielded different results they are labelled V V etc I m not savvy on what it all means though Error checking tool Defragmenting - no effect Maybe I should try another defragmenter Error checking tool - nothing to report -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Remaining solutions -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- upgrade motherboard BIOS try another motherboard i would have to RMA the motherboard for this try my quot faulty quot sata drive in another computer results could be interesting buy a more reliable PSU I use a Jeantech W and used a W arctic when trying to isolate the PSU from the equation maybe BOTH of these are faulty not providing enough juice to power my components note when I tried the W I booted ONLY my GB sata drive and an nvidia GS No x pin GTX no DVD drive no sound card - also this W PSU works fine with it s original computer AMD Dual core gb GS two sata HDD s -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- System Spec -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Q GHZ GIGABYTE EP -DS R GB PC mhz x gb x gb Nvidia GTX mb Asus Xonar DX soundcard Windows x Jeantech W PSU Operating system is on TB drive two TB data drives one GB drive all sata drives -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- History ----------------------------------------------------------------... Read more

A:Want a challenge? ...is it the hard drive, the motherboard, or the PSU?

It could be the PSU beginning to break down, as the different results using different connectors of the power supply certainly raises questions as to the state of it.

However, then seeing the problem persists even when using a different PSU then makes you wonder if the issue is entirely unrelated to the PSU, and in fact something entirely different.

If it was me, and the motherboard was under warranty, my first port of call would be to RMA it, and get a replacement. I highly recommend you stick to Gigabyte, they make outstanding motherboards generally.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/want-a-challenge-is-it-the-hard-drive-the-motherboard-or-the-psu.161414/
Relevancy 55.47%

I Have about a 3+/- year old Compaq
Win XP Home SP1
AMD Athlon XP 1600+
Maxtor 40GB Hard drive (original)
MSI motherboard [(new) reason; apon turning on the system would get "System board failure" message nothing else]
The hard drive is seen in the BIOS and in the first post screen but will not boot. I hooked up one of my old hard drives with 98SE on it and booted right up. Slaved the old hard drive off the 98SE hard drive. Both show in BIOS and post but only the 98SE shows in "My Computer"
Have yet to check old motherboard with 98SE hard drive to see if it is bad or the hard drive caused the problem.
What are the chances that the motherboard took out the hard drive or vise versa?
Everything was original before I changed the motherboard.
Thanks in advance for any help.
GrandPops

A:Motherboard/Hard drive problem

It's possible. but more likely that you need to do a repair install so that the old XP system ( I guess? ) can start up on the new board. . . what message do you get when you try to start it?

wrs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/motherboard-hard-drive-problem.341713/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi
I purchased a foxconn mother board bundle into which I intended to place my old hard drive cd rom, cd writer and dvd writer in.
I first formated my hard drive while it was in my old machine, then placed it along with my cd rom into the new case and instaled windows X/P.
I then went on to place my cd and dvd writers into the new machine one as master the other as slave, I also slaved the cd rom off to the hard drive. When I rebooted the machine windows would not recognise my hard drive I disconnected both slaves setting the hard drive back to master but only the cd writer is being reconised in post and the bios.

Relevancy 55.47%

My Aopen AX-33 motherboard will not detect my new Western Digital WD800JB hard drive unless it is the only hard drive in the computer. I've tried every possible ide configuration that leaves the old hard drive, that has windows on it, at primary master, and none of them work. The only way the computer will recognize the new hard drive is if the old one's removed. Help.

Relevancy 55.47%

I have a laptop and the motherboard is Dell 0rp6c8
How many internal hard drive can support ?

I used Speccy and it show that it has :
Slot PCI-E x16 "In use" and (5) Slots PCI there are (2) Available
does it mean I still can connect (2) hard drives ?

I would know the way to know that please !

A:How many hard drive can motherboard support ?

On a laptop you can only attach additional harddrives via USB or if you have a PCI-e slot. For the latter you need a PCI-e card - one like these:

Laptop Express Cards - Newegg.com

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/59598-how-many-hard-drive-can-motherboard-support.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Just had one of my drives lock up with some bad sectors and a raw data message what is the best way
to unlock it?

A:Raw Data hard drive lockup

What do you mean exactly? Is bitlocker on it? By the looks of things it's not since you said it "raw" ?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/285031-raw-data-hard-drive-lockup.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I have an older Pc but still works well, I am running windows xp sp2. I recently acquired a much larger hard drive than the one I am currently using, and a friend of mine mentioned changing them out, but I have no idea how to accomplish this.

I also would like to delete the information that was on the new hard drive previously, I took out my cd-rom and put the new hard drive in its place as a slave and it was recognized on startup, but I would like to have it as master with all my files and Os from my old hard drive.

Relevancy 55.04%

Is there an easy way to transfer everything from one hard drive to another if I put one in as master and the other as slave. Can you just do a disk copy?? Want to replace a smaller hard drive with a larger one and just want to transfer everything on to it. Thanks in advance

A:hard drive data transfer

Most harddrive manufacturers have a utility on their support web site that will do it for you. Check their site first.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-data-transfer.34292/
Relevancy 55.04%

I am hoping beyond hope that I did not just do what i think Recovering drive hard data on I did My laptop suddenly died and from what i have been able to diagnosis I lost the mother board or the processor I am getting ready to box it up and send it to HP but before I do i removed the harddrive to back it up At work I have a brand new desktop that is running windows vista I created a folder Recovering data on hard drive on the machine and copied all of the files except the administrator file not sure why from the laptop drive to the desktop When prompted by Window I took control of each folder and let it copy for an hour Later in the day I went to access a document that was on the laptop drive from my backup folder but cannot find any files from My Documents So I brought the laptop drive home to attempt the same backup on a machine that has Windows XP like the laptop I see everything except My Documents When I click on the folder where they should be a pop up says access is denied I try to take ownership of the file but to no avail furthermore when I look at the properties it says that the folder has files and bytes When I backed it up or tried to on the desktop at work there was like GB in there I am very afraid that I have lost all of my files that i really cared about and use most often Can anyone shed some light on what I did wrong or what I might be able to do to recover this important data thanks in advance nbsp

A:Recovering data on hard drive

this is just a theory but i seem to remember that if you used a password on your old drive then the files wont be accessible if it's ran as a slave drive -
one suggestion i found - dunno if it will work- is go into bios and change boot order to slave first then when you reboot hit f8 and boot in safe mode from you slave drive - might work....

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/recovering-data-on-hard-drive.621457/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hey everyone I'm not exceptionally computer savvy so please bare with me My previous computer manufactured in Feb was rendered inoperable last week due to a fried motherboard My Data Need Drive Help Hard Old Transferring From new computer arrived today and I have removed the GB hard drive from the previous computer and am attempting to transfer the data on it via a SATA IDE to USB adapter I purchased online This particular hard drive is SATA When I plug everything in the new computer recognizes the hard drive but it shows it as System Reserved and misrepresents the drive's size as being at around MB when in actuality it is GB None of the data on the hard drive shows when I access the drive it shows as being Need Help Transferring Data From Old Hard Drive empty with the System Reserved title After some research I have discovered that this is a partition of the Windows OS installed on the previous computer the current PC Need Help Transferring Data From Old Hard Drive also has Windows installed Per a friend's suggestion I tried accessing the hard drive via the converter on a friend's Chromebook Presumably due to the differing OS all of the files appeared as intended without issue However being a Chromebook I cannot complete the transfer there as there is not enough room I also do not have an external hard drive I need to transfer the data from the Need Help Transferring Data From Old Hard Drive old HD to the new PC's HD Now that I know the data hasn't been compromised I am relieved but I cannot figure out a way despite hours of Googling to get the new PC to recognize the folders on the Hard Drive I have found some suggestions for similar issues but all involve formatting the hard drive or removing the partition options that I fear will delete the very data I am trying to retrieve If any of you can provide any suggestions at all it would be much appreciated My last resort is having to pay Geek Squad too much to do the transfer for me Thanks in advance

A:Need Help Transferring Data From Old Hard Drive

You could try downloading an ISO for Ubuntu and burning it to a CD.  Then, with the old HDD attached via USB, booting from the CD and running Ubuntu as a Live CD (Try It mode).

You should be able to see all the files on the old HDD and copy & paste them to the new system.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/524908/need-help-transferring-data-from-old-hard-drive/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi,

I have recently upgraded to a new system from XP and was hoping to recover some data from my old hard drive which has the 40 pin connector. I was hoping to find the grey ribbon inside but instead there is what I think is a SATA cable connecting the hard drive. Therefore I'm a wee bit confused as to what I connect the slave to.
There is a grey ribbon, but that is connected to the DVD drive although it does have a second connector halfway down.

Thanks for the help!!

Relevancy 55.04%

Okay, I just installed a Wireless card in one of my PCI slots on my only computer, a Dell Deminsion 8300 from six years ago. I plugged the power cable in the power supply and sparks blew everywhere. I tried 3 different power supplies and no power at all. Now I've decided just to build a new PC.

My problem is that I have all of my tabs and lyrics on the old hard drive and need to get it off of the old IDE hard drive and on to the SATA hard drive. The old hard drive has XP on it and I'll most likely be installing XP on this new one until 7 comes out.

How can I get my data from the old hard drive?

A:Needing To Get Data Off IDE Hard Drive

Place the old hard drive in a USB external enclosure and attach it to the new system when the new system is up and running. You will be able to access the data that way

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/needing-to-get-data-off-ide-hard-drive.131547/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a storage drive inside my desktop tower (F. It is a 1tb drive. According to windows ex it only has 288 GB of free space on it.

When I click the drive and look at the files I can see, they all only add up to 229gb. That means there should still be 700 + gb left on that drive.

There is a system backup "TRUMBLE-DESKTOP" there and I don't know how large that file is.

Why is it displaying so full? Does it really make sense that the system backup would be that large? The OS drive is a 120gb and it has 42gb of free space, so how could the system backup be that big?

A:Hidden data on my hard drive?

Windows will actually save many backups to that folder. Depending on how often you do a backup, they could go back weeks and be the size of your system drive.

For example:
100 GB system drive x 7 backups = 700 GB

That may explain the size of that particular file/folder. If you delete some of your old backups, you should regain the space.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/307469-hidden-data-my-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I had lots of data on my portable hard drive, like 200 GB. i moved my computer, and unplugged my hdd drive, now its saying there is nothing inside it.

but when i go into my computer, its showing this

A:Data just gone off my portable hard drive

Try disconnecting power to the portable drive for an hour, then try again.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-just-gone-off-my-portable-hard-drive.922880/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi,

I recently got windows 7 and installed it onto an empty hard drive in my pc.
I now have my old hard drive with vista on and my new hard drive with windows 7 on.

The only problem is i have hundreds of programs and updates etc on my old hard drive that i really want to use with windows 7 on my new hard drive.

Does anyone know how i can transfer over all the programs and data from my old hard drive to my new hard drive? I tryed just copying the files over but i dont have the registry settings on my new hard drive with windows 7, so none of the programs work.

Any help with this problem would be great thanks.

A:Help Transfering data from old hard drive to new one.

Sorry but for 99% of programs a reinstall is required

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/249602-help-transfering-data-old-hard-drive-new-one.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I recently purchased a new computer for basic home use. My old HDD contains
roughly 10GB of pics, vids, files, etc that I need to transfer to my new computer.
What would be the best & easiest way to transfer the data?

I searched, but didn't come up with much. I'm sure this is a simple process.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dan

Relevancy 55.04%

I think regular back up of the data is the safest way and most probably the best way. But the other options are most suitable if the hard disk needs to be run for longer periods. Is it true?. Is windows recovery console help to protect hard drive data. I am working at top essay writing service.I think here are several ways to back up hard drive data.Please give me other  hard drive data protection methods.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,158380.0.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Yikes! My 250 GB Ide HD has seemed to have failed. On boot up it clicks and rattles and the computer doesn't seem to recognize it. I then installed it as a second drive but the computer won't boot up with it in the system. Any ideas as to how to "fix" this or recover my pictures and music from it?

I've replaced the bad HD with a smaller hard drive from another computer and all seems well except I can't put the "bad" drive back in and have the computer work.

Thanks,

Bill
XP Home OS

A:Recovering data from bad hard drive

There is a 'trick' for bad-bearing issues like that.

You put the drive in a sealed and as-airless-as-you-can-get freezer bag and put it in the freezer for several hours.

Then pop it in the comp and try and access the files and copy them quick if you can.

The jumpers should be set as slave obviously (or cable select and on the appropriate lead as the case may be).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/recovering-data-from-bad-hard-drive-398828.html
Relevancy 55.04%

You saved an old hard drive (or three) from previous computers and now you?d like to get at the data on them. Is there an easy way to access the data without cracking open your current computer and mounting the hard drives inside?

Read more

A:How to Get Data Off an Old Hard Drive (Without Putting It in a PC)

very good. I was trying to explain this to someone. Now I think I will just send then the Web Page.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-get-data-off-an-old-hard-drive-without-putting-it-in-a-pc.200129/
Relevancy 55.04%

Ok so recently i bought a new WD tb internal had drive as my old hard drive was making noises when the to drive hard Transferring Data new a hard drive was being used my situation is that i want to transfer Transferring Data to a new hard drive all of the data on the old HDD to the new hard drive I have tried various quot cloning software quot but i kept getting errors revolving around some CRC error cyclical Redundacy check and it would not let me continue that cloning procedure all i want to do is basically keep all my data but just use it off the new hard drive that i got Thanks OS Version Microsoft Windows Ultimate bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - K CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card AMD Radeon HD Series Mb x Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB G Total - MB Free - MB J Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd Z XP-UD Antivirus Kaspersky Internet Security Updated and Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

Hi I have a hard drive from a Toshiba laptop that is toast I connected it to my desktop running USB off Drive Connected by Hard Data Need Windows via a USB adapter I right-clicked on Computer selected Manage which took me to Computer Management and selected Disk Management The hard drive shows up as Disk Basic GB online The partitions are MB Healthy EFI System Partition GB Healthy Primary Partition and MB Unallocated This drive will Need Data off Hard Drive Connected by USB not let me give it a drive letter and it does not show up on Computer PLEASE help I need this data Many thanks Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Ultimate Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - K CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics - Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB F Total - MB Free - MB L Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC P Z -V PRO GEN Antivirus avast Antivirus Updated and Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

Hey all Right now one of my hard drives is almost full It s a gig and I ve got like gigs left to use on it lol But then I also have a totally unused gig HDD it s already installed though What I want to do is transfer some of my stuff well MOST of my stuff from the gig to my gig But I want to do it the right way so I don t corrupt any files or anything Basically the biggest things are all of my games my music I have like gigs of mp s lol and some other media The only way I can think of to move the stuff from one HDD to the other is to just sit there and drag all the stuff folder by folder file by file to my gig but that just seems a little too easy Is that not the right way to do it I figured there would be some kind of formal Windows XP method to do it but I wasn t sure Any help with this would be appreciated Thanks in advance folks BTW yes I am using Windows XP SP nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

Greets I have serial ATA drives IDE that were used with Windows XP last year on another computer NTFS format and for which I need to recuperate the data I unplugged my internal CD DVD access drive data..HELP! cannot hard my I drive and plugged in one of them Vista recognized it and instantly updated the drivers However the data does not show under Windows Explorer i can see it under the device manager as unallocated technically I know the data is not deleted nor lost The question is How can I retrieve this data The devices and models are Maxtor H GBs rpm ATA- Western Digital Caviar WD JB - gva GBs rpm ATA- PS I cannot access my hard drive data..HELP! I also tried the evaluation copy of BinaryBiz Virtuallab data recovery software and was able to see the data However the I cannot access my hard drive data..HELP! save feature was turned off I don t think I have to resort to a data recovery program do I There must be a simple way to perform this PS Could the problem be that my PC will only read SATA hard disks of PS If I buy an external enclosure connected through a USB cable will Vista recognize the data then so many questions - Thanks for any help Acer Aspire E AMD Athlon X dual core processor Windows Vista Home Premium D-Link DI- router Nvidia GeForce GS video card RAM MB nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/i-cannot-access-my-hard-drive-data-help.632253/
Relevancy 55.04%

I do this quite often and I am very annoyed. Everytime I connect a hard drive [xp, vista, or windows 7] and try to access it I get the message that I don't have the right to view it.

I have to use the "take ownership" feature. I am an administrator so what gives.

running windows 7 professional with microsoft security essentials and windows firewall

A:saving data from another hard drive

Are the files on these hard drives you are connecting yours? Did you originally create these files?
Are you installing/connecting these hard drives to your motherboard, SATA connector, or by USB?

If you did not create these files on the PC that you are trying to open/view them on this is as it is supposed to be. All the data on those drives has permissions set be another username and PC. Until you change the permissions and or add your username to grant you permission to view/open/whatever you will get this message.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/159159-saving-data-another-hard-drive.html