Windows Support Forum

Hard drive not showing up in BIOS

Q: Hard drive not showing up in BIOS

I have a previously functional hard drive that is no longer recognized by the BIOS Other drives are working fine Just not this one It has no scary not up drive in showing Hard BIOS clicking or grinding noises It sounds lovely in fact Normal health read and spinning sounds It even has the gyroscope Hard drive not showing up in BIOS feel if I pick it up Stuff I have tried unsuccessfully Restart the computer Restart the computer again just in case Swap out cabling Use an external power source Use a SATA-to-USB adapter Use a different motherboard Hard drive not showing up in BIOS with a different BIOS and a different power supply Use a different motherboard with the USB adapter Swap out the controller board for a new one--same model and revision but stole the flash memory chip off the old board so it had its calibration information right I m thinking that the platters and read head and all are good I seem to have ruled out the controller board as the culprit Anybody have any ideas what might be the issue nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Hard drive not showing up in BIOS

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Hard drive not showing up in BIOS

You've pulled out all the stops. If the BIOS doesn't see the drive, there's not really anything more you can do. Drive has failed somehow. Send back to mfg. if still under warranty. Hope this helps!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-bios.180980/
Relevancy 78.69%

Help my hard drive isnt showing up in my bios ive tried reseating the cables and occasionaly the hard drive will show up, then when ever i try to to do
any thing like reboot or put xp set up disk in it will disapear again.

I also tried connecting it to another machine but the same thing happens.

When the computer froze i put in a disk restore to factory image could this have any effect on the drive or has the hard drive packed up?

Relevancy 77.83%

i have an old dell optiplex gx 240 when i put it on no primary or secondary drive showing they are plugged in right i think

A:no hard drive showing in Bios or in Boot

You must check the jumper settings, if they are plugged into the same IDE cable, most likely they are both set to master, or both set to slave. I always set my harddrive to master, and my cd/dvd to slave.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/no-hard-drive-showing-in-bios-or-in-boot.992549/
Relevancy 76.97%

Hi guys I m not exactly sure how to explain this so I ll try and give you as much information as possible I am currently running Win XP SP on my PC with hard drives Whilst doing in in Drive Hard but can't XP? BIOS - access showing Solved: all my usual diagnostics maintenance I noticed that my second HD which is a SATA btw is showing up with unreadable files and errors whilst running a CHKDSK Solved: Hard Drive showing in BIOS - but can't access in XP? F The process seemed to stall so I was forced to reboot However when I rebooted I found that the SATA HD was not being recognized by XP So I Solved: Hard Drive showing in BIOS - but can't access in XP? rebooted again Solved: Hard Drive showing in BIOS - but can't access in XP? and checked the BIOS The SATA drive was still there Again I let XP load and again it was not showing up Since then the SATA drive shows up intermittently in the BIOS when I check it but it never shows up in XP All I want to do is to somehow get access to this SATA drive so I can reformat it in an attempt to fix the problem even just temporarily If anyone has any suggestions I would be most grateul I m also happy to give you any further information you need if I know Much obliged nbsp

Relevancy 62.78%

I am having issues after doing a format of my Main hard drive (C: Drive). My secondary hard drive is not showing up at all now. Not in windows but OK in BIOS. Also not showing in Disk Management I am not sure what to do as I am not familiar with doing secondary hard drives.

Before the reformat the drive was working fine and I have tons of data on it so definitely don't want to reformat THAT drive. Not sure what to do here and any help would be appreciated.

A:My IDE Hard Dreive Detected by BIOS but XP is not showing

Disconnect the good drive with all the data on it.
Then format the "Main hard drive C:" and install your operating system. Once that is done, the "secondary" or storage drive will be detected and recognized...
You have to be certain that they are both jumpered as Cable Select or by Main and Slave drives, and taht your cables are good and not damaged by crimpling or any of the wires being pulled out of the drive socket... If SATA, bad SATA cables have been a big problem this year. If EIDE, wires get pulled out of the 80 conductor 40 connector socket. Check carefully with a good light and perhaps a magnifying glass.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-ide-hard-dreive-detected-by-bios-but-xp-is-not-showing.132861/
Relevancy 62.78%

My primary HDD was failing so I backed it up and replaced it with a larger 1TB drive.  After reinstalling everything the new drive is displaying the same size as my old drive and the extra space available is unallocated.  I can allocate it as
a separate drive but I find that annoying and would prefer to just have my primary C: drive show up with all of the available space.  I formatted the extra space and made it available separately as drive G hoping that I could EXPAND drive C but that option
is not highlighted as selectable on drive C for some reason.  Should I just live with this extra space or is there a way to easily combine C and the new G space?

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5d2dcad7-8be2-43d0-ab11-051f2d407984/replace-with-larger-primary-hard-drive-in-laptop-now-showing-old-drive-size-windows-7-650gb-to?forum=w7itproperf
Relevancy 61.49%

I have an IDE storage drive with two partitions on it. Earlier today they were showing up. I had some problems with the PC and I had to restore Windows 7 to the main drive. But when I went to put the storage drive back in it didn't show up.

The boot drive is a sata. The drive shows up in the bios.

What do I do?

Relevancy 61.49%

hi folks, my problem is this, added another hardrive to pc and it shows up in explorer but not in bios so i can,t set it to start, any help/advice will be much appreciated, thanks in advance.
Bill.

Relevancy 61.06%

Hi,

I have 2 drives connected to my computer, an IDE and a SATA. They both work fine from within Windows but I was just wondering why only the IDE drive shows up in the BIOS?

A:SATA drive not showing in BIOS

Check jumpers on the unit, drivers, or maybe (hopefully not) may be defective?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-drive-not-showing-in-bios.132186/
Relevancy 59.77%

I have a Samsung s2 1tb external hard drive.

Today when I hooked it up to my laptop it would not load. It will shows local F drive when it usually will say samsung Drive.

A pop up box will then appear stating "you need to format drive"

I know if I reformat it I will lose all my data which I will not do.

When I look in device manager it states that the external hard drive is installed.

I attempted to go through start menu and type cmd then F: and it states "The volume does not recognize this system file. Please make sure all required system drivers are loaded and the volume is not corrupted."

PLEASE HELP I DONT WANT TO LOSE ALL MY FILES

A:Samsung s2 external hard drive not loading showing local disk F drive

With the external drive connected, Go to Disk Management (Start > type: "computer" > click on Computer Management > click on Disk Management)

Determine which disk is the external drive.
If the external drive shows here as a healthy volume, Right click on the large box to the right of the "Disk 1" / "Disk 2" lable and choose: Change Drive Letter and Path.

If there is nothing but a grey box or "Unallocated Space" next to the disk number then Right click on the disk number (the box) and choose: Change Drive Letter and Path.

Change the drive letter to anything else > OK.

If you can't do any of the above post back. If you can post a screen shot of the Disk Management window that can help.
Do not initialize the disk or format it or you will lose your data.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/209492-samsung-s2-external-hard-drive-not-loading-showing-local-disk-f-drive.html
Relevancy 59.77%

i'm using windows 7, my external hard drive shows up in my devices and printers section but it won't show up as a drive, so i can't view any files in that external hard drive. if i put a memory card in, it shows up as a drive and a flag shows up for when i want to unplug that drive and it asks if i want to remove my external hard drive too.

normally when i turn on the external hard drive it autoplays but it doesn't do that anymore.

i don't understand why it shows up in my devices and printers but not as a drive when i open windows explorer.

i've looked into the external hard drives properties and it all says that the device is working properly.

A:problem with external hard drive not showing as a drive in windows 7

Go into Control Panel (classic view) ---> Administrative Tools ---> Computer Management ---> Disk Management.

In bottom-right pane, if you see a horizontal band representing a drive with no drive-letter assigned to it, that's the cause of your problem. You need to give it a drive-letter:

Right-click that horizontal band and choose "Change drive letter and paths".

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/problem-with-external-hard-drive-not-showing-as-a-drive-in-windows-7-a-505756.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Hi guys I'm hoping you can help On Friday I purchased an Intel NUC DN FYKH Installed the correct RAM and HDD and installed windows through USB The system installed the OS and booted normally However when I shutdown the mini-pc and later turned it back on Drive not Intel BIOS in showing NUC SATA DN2820 it would not recognise the SATA drive I assumed something must have gone Intel NUC DN2820 SATA Drive not showing in BIOS wrong so I removed it formatted it in another machine and repeated the process Intel NUC DN2820 SATA Drive not showing in BIOS Eventually I re-installed windows To check I shut down the computer immediately and the same problem occurred The initial startup screen showing F for setup hangs when the drive is plugged in but the bios still shows nothing I tried mounting the drive in an external caddy and connecting it by USB and the computer was able to see it again On Friday I updated to the latest BIOS fy I rolled the BIOS back to fy and tried every update since then without luck I don't think its a hardware fault as a format fixed it until I booted into windows Before I booted into windows I was having a bit of trouble finding the right installer and the drive was showing up fine It seems that it's only once I've booted into windows that the drive vanishes on shutdown I am using a trial copy of Enterprise from MS website Please note I have also posted this question on the Intel forums https communities intel com message but in the past have had quicker and more relevant help from this forum Does anyone have any ideas Max

A:Intel NUC DN2820 SATA Drive not showing in BIOS

Is BIOS set to legacy or UEFI and are you formatting as MBR or GPT? Is strange it won't appear in BIOS though, could be a hardware problem.

Try deleting all partitions and start over.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/54891-intel-nuc-dn2820-sata-drive-not-showing-bios.html
Relevancy 59.77%

I just bought a harddisk for my ,8 years old dell inspiron 6000 laptop. It a wd Scorpio blue 250 Gb drive but in my bios it is just showing 137gb. So I thought low level format will solve this. Although in Windows setup it shows 250 Gb.

A:Scorpio blue 250 Gb drive but in my bios it is just showing 137gb

If the Windows setup is able to identify it and it sees the full capacity, I would suggest that you just install it.

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/8096-scorpio-blue-250-gb-drive-but-my-bios-just-showing-137gb.html
Relevancy 59.34%

BIOS AMD v I have an IDE hard drive that slides in and out of the computer to connect disconnect from the IDE cable When I had two internal hard drives it booted up using the correct C regardless of whether the removeable hard drive was in or out I have now installed a third internal hard drive that contains the C that it should boot from One of the other drives has a mangled XP Pro OS that does not function well enough to use So I installed XP on the drive that I just installed Problem is that when I set the Boot Settings hard disk drive to be the new hd while the removeable drive is plugged in it all works the way I want it and BIOS the drive hard hard drive settings removeable to However if after having backed up to the removeable drive I remove it BIOS hard drive settings and the removeable hard drive for safe storage the computer will then boot up from the wrong hd When checking in the BIOS setup I see that the Hard Disk Drive setting has been changed I just want it to stay with what I specified and not change things on its own Is this possible nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-hard-drive-settings-and-the-removeable-hard-drive.818288/
Relevancy 58.91%

i have a freecom external hard drive. it was working fine until one day it decided to stop working.

this light on the drive lights up but i can't hear anything working inside it. and now it won't show up as a drive when i open windows explorer.

please help?

A:External hard drive not showing as a drive in windows 7

Hi have you tried it in another computer to see if it works there

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/external-hard-drive-not-showing-as-a-drive-in-windows-7-a-541782.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I just purchased new parts to upgrade my system. I got a new cpu, mobo, and a 1 tb hard drive. I had install windows on the new drive because my new mobo only has Sata inputs and my old hard drive is not Sata. I installed Windows XP. This was an older version without SP1. I have since updated it to Sp3. I thought this would solve the problem but it has not. Please help. Thanks

A:My hard drive is only showing up as 137 GB

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303013

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/395490/my-hard-drive-is-only-showing-up-as-137-gb/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi,
I have upgraded my comptuter with a new mother board.
I only have 2 PCI hard drives.
but this new motherboard takes SATA drives.
There is also one slot for a PCI drive.
Problem is, I need to plug my second PCI drive.
So I bought a PCI to serial ATA RAID & IDE Controller so i can connect my second hard drive.
This controller is connected on my mother board.
My second hard drive is connected to the controller with its big flat wire.
I booted Windows XP, the device manager seems to recognize it but my hard drive is not showing...
Can anyone help me with this.

Also I bought a nVidia graphic Card with 256 MRAM.
My motherboard is also using 256 MRAM because when I look at my nvidia card's properties, it shows 512 MRAM.
Should I disable the RAM from the mother board because it is using my RAM (i have 2 gigs)

Thanks guys!

Relevancy 58.05%

I have a problem,

I was recently installing windows xp pro on my pc and got onto the partition screen, I accidently deleted the partition from the slave drive (all my files) and when i booted off the primary then the slave drive was missing.

I tried going to control panel>admin tools>computer management>disk management, and although this allows me to add a partition i can only access that partition and none of my old files.

Is there anyway i can get my old files back?

Cheers

AdamBaz

Relevancy 58.05%

My nd hard drive which I store all my media on is no longer accessible About a week ago I started up my PC which is attached to my TV and my Avast antivirus popped up with warnings about a bunch of viruses I posted in the Security Malware forums for help but have not received any yet I also lost access to my nd hard drive where my media is stored 2nd Drive showing not up Hard so I am unsure 2nd Hard Drive not showing up if they are related It was showing up in My Computer and my Device Manager just not accessible Every time I would try open it I would get an I O device error message Today is the first time it is not even showing up in My Computer or Device Manager I m a computer noob and do not know how to approach this problem I am good at following directions and Google and is the only reason I was able to install the nd HDD on my own Where do I start Is there anything that I can do I would really like to salvage the data on the HDD if it is possible It is a Seagate Barracuda ST N A AS-RK SATA Gb s TB RPM MB Cache Here is my PC info Microsoft Windows XP MCE Ver SP Intel Pentium CPU GHz ABIT AA DuraMAX motherboard GB of RAM x Corsair Value Select MB PC - DDR SDRAM Seagate Barracuda ST AS SATA Gb s GB RPM MB Cache Seagate Barracuda ST N A AS-RK SATA Gb s TB RPM MB Cache ATI RADEON X XL MHz MB L amp C LC-B E V W Hz Thanks for any help in advance nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/2nd-hard-drive-not-showing-up.1026630/
Relevancy 58.05%

I just plugged in another Hard drive to my PC... yes I set it as a slave and the main one as master and all that jazz.

When I Turned my comp on I got all the windows is installing your hardware meassages but I went into My computer and its not there. Only the Master is there.

I found it in the Bios at start up and it is set as master and I found it in device manager and it is "working properly".

I also tried adding new hardware and i just got the message at the end saying your horware is working correctly....

Any Ideas people?

A:Hard Drive not showing

Change the jumper on the slave to CS or take the jumper out completey and reboot

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-not-showing.62416/
Relevancy 58.05%

ok, ive been browsing through the site looking for the solution to my problem for 2 days, and while ive come apon quite a bit of usefull info, none of it was 2 helpful. so in any case heres my probelm:

i had an 120 GB western digital drive in my old computer, and figured id slap it on my new computer. its installed and the jumper setting is on slave, but it refuses to work.

it shows up in the device manager, but when i go to the drive manager its not there.

i dont know if this makes a differance but my master hardrive is on a serial ATA cable while the slave hard drive is on a parallel ATA cable.

Any one have any ideas?

A:2nd hard drive not showing up

Is there a master device on the ata cable too?
Have you tried setting it to cable select?
Does the new drive show up in bios?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/2nd-hard-drive-not-showing-up.50553/
Relevancy 58.05%

Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to answer this up Not Drive New Hard Showing I just bought a WD gig SATA Hard drive from newegg I already have drives in this system but they are PATA drives My Bios is not recognizing this drive from what I can tell I ve never put one of these in but from what I understand they are supposed to be pretty plug and play On my boot up screen where it shows what the bios is doing and detecting it does say quot th master External Disk RGL Ultra DMA Mode- S M A R T Capable and Status OK quot Then after the detection is done it tells me th Master Hard Disk Error When I go into my Bios I don New Hard Drive Not Showing up t see the drive at all listed in my hard drive section But on the main screen that fourth IDE master slot shows external Disk and when I click on it it says the device is a Hard Disk but that the size is MB Its like it sees it but not all of it I have tried disconnecting all drives except this one changing cables changing slots The cables I m using are the ones that came with my mobo and say serial ata on them so I am assuming they should work My power supply should be big enough and I m using the power cable coming from it that is designed for sata I can t think of anything else to put on here but if you need more info I ll try and supply it I have RMA d this to newegg but I m afraid I might be missing something and don t won t to pay the dollars shipping to get a new drive and have it do the same Should I go ahead and send it back Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

I recently formated drive new not showing help hard please up , my computer due to it being well a stupid computer however last time i had this computer in the shop I had a gig please help , new hard drive not showing up hard drive added to the gig hard drive i already have However the gig drive wont show up When it was in the shop right before I left i booted it up and it was doing the same thing the guy there ran some program from startup to well what i think was some sort please help , new hard drive not showing up of partion thing to get the computer to recognise the drive as D I need the computer to recgonise D because i put all my stuff such as music and games on the D drive Now it wont show up and im in dire need of assistance I dont really wana take it to the shop so they can run some simple program and charge me for it someone please help me and i will be forever grateful nbsp

A:please help , new hard drive not showing up

fixed it ....

i fixed it .. im an *****... just had to install the right driver

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/please-help-new-hard-drive-not-showing-up.33668/
Relevancy 58.05%

This is my sons laptop. It had vista and 7 installed on it. I am positive it had a virus before it tore up. It wont load windows but I got a disk and when I load it, it doesnt show my harddrive. It shows a drive letter x: This seems like windows is installed on it. I am not sure if it is tho. I downloaded easeus to recovery the drive and it has found the drive. So if the drive was shot, it wouldn't be able to find it would it? When I go into bios it says no ide device. It use to show it. I was going to do a clean install fo windows and went to partition the drive and I messed it up. If anyone could help that would be great!!

A:my hard drive is not showing up

First Drive X is the windows installation DVD, it is not the hard drive. I think the first thing to do would be to go to the hard drive manufacturers site and download their hard drive diagnostic test. That would at least give you a pretty good idea if it is a hard drive problem or not. Assuming it passes. I would follow this tutorial on How to Ready an SSD / HDD to Reinstall an Operating System. Is the hard drive making any unusual noises and can you hear it running? Sometimes when you turn the computer on you can hear it spin up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/217506-my-hard-drive-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 58.05%

hi folks i have a win- se pc pentium II showing up. not drive hard mhz i recently installed a western digital g hard drive on it using w-d s utility called datalifeguard I installed this drive as d drive all worked ok after a couple of weeks my pc started freezing on boot up and during normal operation frequently i copied all my data from c drive onto this d drive i finally decided to reformat my c drive and re-install win- se i did and after install i couldn t get the d drive to show up everybody suggests to reformat the new d drive and it should work ok but i have data on it and i can t do an fdisk the drive shows up on bios and even shows up on western digital s utility program on drive info is there anyway i can hard drive not showing up. get this drive to show up on explorer or on quot mycomputer quot how can i get my data back please help me nbsp

A:hard drive not showing up.

hav eyou check your cabling or drive jumpers
I would make the D drive a slave on 2nd ide
it will change the drive letter
this utility you used may have cuased 98 not to read the drive now.
paragon partition manager may be able to remount the drive for you
there are other disk mangers out there also like acronis
these 2 I am familiar with
I think 98 has issues with drives larger than 32gb
may want to read up on that

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-not-showing-up.36255/
Relevancy 58.05%

my hd was showing and working in windows 7 x64, but now it doesnt show in win8 x64 but shows correctly in disk management. the drive is formatted and a seperate drive from windows.

Gazzer

A:hard drive not showing

No drive letter assigned -> hidden. Right click on Disk1 and assign a drive letter for it.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/19090-hard-drive-not-showing.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I'm troubleshooting a computer where it runs through the safe mode select screen over and over. Can't get to safe mode or anyplace else. Slaved drive to my computer and it doesn't show up. I've tried jumpers in every position but it's still a blank in my computer. Does this mean the hd crashed?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-not-showing.609862/
Relevancy 58.05%

I have a gateway computer running windows 7 ultimate and im trying to add another hard drive but its not showing up anywhere. My primary hard drive is a 3.5 sata 500gb and im trying to add a 3.5 IDE 200gb hard drive. I've looked in computer management and everything but the hdd is not showing anywhere. Can anyone explain what i should do?

A:2nd hard drive not showing up

You didn't fill out your specs completely so I don't know what kind of motherboard you have. Does it support IDE? If you could fill in your System Specs it would help. Could you also post a Snip of your expanded Disk Management so we can look at that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/253582-2nd-hard-drive-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I normally do a backup by cloning a second hard drive using Ghost. The backup drive is configured the secondary master and removed from the caddy after cloning.

This time the drive is not recognised in Windows XP although it is showing OK in the BIOS as the secondary master.

Any help please. Could it be about drive letters? The cloned disk is C drive as is the primary master disk.

Relevancy 58.05%

Hello people I'm new to the forum and the reason was a problem It all started when I had a Windows PC I did some customizations tweaks in the 'System ' folder which affected the explorer exe Then I tried to rescue it by booting Mint from a flash drive but due to some errors I decided to change the OS to Ubuntu Everything was fine but my father disliked it 'cause I erased each and every data while installing Then he took it to the repair workshop and had Windows installed which I'm currently using I had a hard drive of about gb We bought a new hard drive of gb Windows But after install the old HDD did not show up in the 'My computer' But when Hard showing Drive up not I tried booting from a flash drive it was there and all data was safe but not my dad's I knew it Now when I booted again in Windows it disappeared again Happens every time What should Hard Drive not showing up I do If this was too 'story-ful' then sorry

A:Hard Drive not showing up

Open Disk Management (computer - right click - manage - disk management) and see if it is listed there, and has a drive letter assigned to it.

Also, if it is Linux formatted Windows won't see it. Hence no drive letter. You can boot into Linux and copy paste the data to Windows disk. Linux can see NTFS (sometimes need to mount the drive)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/372037-hard-drive-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 58.05%

hey i just added a new hard drive and its not showing up under my computer.. its only showing the c drive. i know my jumprer is set it slave. when i go under device manager i can see both hard drive and it says the new one is working properly but i cant see it when i go to my computer.. what do i do :S

A:hard drive not showing up

go [right click my computer>manage>disk management]
find your new drive there, then format it or partition it etc.

alternatively you can download an app from teh hdd manufacturer's website and use that to initialise your new hdd.

http://seagate.com/support/disc/drivers/discwiz.html

http://maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxto... Kits/ATA-SATA Family/Utilities&downloadID=57

http://support.wdc.com/download/index.asp?cxml=n&pid=999&swid=1

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-not-showing-up.49471/
Relevancy 58.05%

So I just installed a nice shiny new Western Digital WD Caviar SE 300GB hard drive into our computer and it's listed as having no problems under the device manager, but it doesn't appear at all when I look at "my computer"

Relevancy 58.05%

Well I've just bought a new Hard Drive, a Maxtor 160gb IDE drive. I've installed it(was my first time).

When I did everything that needed to be done(My Computer>Manager>Disk management>etc) and even before that, the drive was saying that it is a 31Gb hard drive, when it ain't. It shows up everywhere where you can see how much disk space it has and how much is left.

Have I done something thing wrong? Portioned wrong? Like I said, I'm new to it, I don't know what else to do, so this is my best resort.

Any help would be greatly accepted.
Thanks-Matt.

Relevancy 58.05%

I had an old (6 months old) internal hard drive that I had setup as an external drive go bad yesterday so I replaced it with a brand new internal drive that I am trying to connect using my esata connector. It is the same exact setup as I had for my old drive that did work for 6 months.

The new hard drive shows up in Device Manager, and in the Devices and Printer panel, but it does not show up in my Computer Panel under Hard Disk Drives.

Does anyone have any idea of what can be happening and where I should look to make this new hard drive visible as an accessible drive?

A:New hard drive not showing up as an accessable drive

Hi,

When you click Start & right-click 'Computer', select manage. See if it comes up under drive management and if so it may be showing as unallocated space.

Try...Partition or Volume - Create New and skip straight to Step 4

OS

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/121447-new-hard-drive-not-showing-up-accessable-drive.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi everybody. I have a problem My 3TB Western Digital Hard Drive is not showing up on any PC I connect it to. The light on the drive itself is on, but no where on the PC does it register.

I am pretty sure the disks aren't spinning either, but that is probably because the computer isn't picking it up, and no vice-versa. Any help with this?

A:External Hard Drive not showing up anywhere

Please fill in your specs.
http://www.piriform.com/speccy
Some motherboards require that you configure the BIOS to accept larger drives (2, 3Gb>).
If you're positive that the disks aren't spinning, then that's a red flag as to why the computer doesn't see the drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/220795-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-anywhere.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I have an external hard drive that I have used regularly with a Windows 7 machine via esata
that does not show up when plugged into my Windows 10 notebook via USB.
I can see it under the disk management, but there is no drive letter assigned so I cannot access it.

?

A:External Hard Drive not showing up

If there's no letter assigned to it then it's hidden. Right click on it -> Change Drive Letter.... then assign a letter for it.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/37434-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 57.62%

i have a Hitachi HDS721010KLA330 1 terabyte hard drive. my problem is it is only showing 931 GB, even after compressing. is there any way i can increase the space to full capacity? i use a lot of programs so the extra space will come in handy. i used Acronis Disk Director Suite 10 to increase the space after i formatted and reinstalled Windows, at that time it was only showing 128 GB until i used it to increase it to the current size. any help is appreciated.

Relevancy 57.62%

hi

ok i have just bought a brand new maxtor 200gb hard drive i have installed it as a slave drive.

The bios has recognised it and it shows up in device manager it is also showing the full 200gb in the bios i am running xp but when i go click my computer to look at my drives there is nothing there for the new hard drive.

I did also run the big drive enabler for this hard drive.

Is there anything i can do to get a drive letter for this device.

Thanx.

A:200gb hard drive not showing

Right click.. My Computer > Manage > Disc Management

Does it show up here ?? ...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/200gb-hard-drive-not-showing.398892/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi, I added a second hard drive for storage in my computer (Win XP Pro). I can see the drive in the device manager but it doesn't show up in My Computer. How do I fix that?

Relevancy 57.62%

hp pavilion p6320uk desktop pc, windows 7 32/64bit, ms-7613 (Iona-GL8E) motherboard have updated bios installed new 3tb hard drive but it is only showing as 746 gb any help please.

A:3tb hard drive only showing 746gb

Hi, Review this HP Alert for SATA hard drives.  It may or may not apply to your situation. Please explain Windows 7 32/64 bit?  Are you using Windows 7 64 bit? What make and model of drive are you using as the hard drive? Your PC is only going to support the 3 TB hard drive for data only and not as a boot hard drive.  

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/3tb-hard-drive-only-showing-746gb/td-p/3486533
Relevancy 57.62%

I have an external hard drive that I have used regularly with a Windows 7 machine via esata
that does not show up when plugged into my Windows 10 notebook via USB.
I can see it under the disk management, but there is no drive letter assigned so I cannot access it.

?

A:External Hard Drive not showing up

If there's no letter assigned to it then it's hidden. Right click on it -> Change Drive Letter.... then assign a letter for it.

http://www.tenforums.com/general-discussion/37434-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I recently bought an internal hard drive (A Samsung HM320HJ) for my Toshiba Satellite A...300 I think? Anyway, I used Macrium reflect to clone my old drive to my new one. When I put the new hard drive in, everything works, but when I got to My Computer, it shows the drive as only having a 140gb capacity. I'm not sure what to go by, because in Macrium Reflect it still says that my new hard drive is 320gb. Why is my computer displaying it as a 140gb hard drive, and how do I fix it?

A:Hard Drive only showing 140 of 320gb.

what does diskmanagement show? right click my computer or computer, click on manage, click on disk managment. It should show the drive in the right column. Are there any other partitions

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hard-drive-only-showing-140-of-320gb-640758.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hey i just got a new Western Digital 500GB Caviar Green Hard Drive, and it will show up in my computer, but will not show up in my Windows 7 Installation screen. I currently have 2 hard drive's in my machine the 500GB and a 320GB, and Windows 7 is installed on my 320GB Hard Drive. How would I make the 500GB Hard Drive show up in the installation, so that I can install Windows 7 to it?

A:New Hard Drive Not Showing up in Installation

Did you use the WD Lifeguard software to format and partition this disc? Register the drive with serial number on WD's site and you can have access to all sorts of other free and useful software. I believe the lifeguard is openware and works with all manufacturers drives.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/78971-new-hard-drive-not-showing-up-installation.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi
I have just bought a second hand PC .
It has sata connections on the Motherboard but when i installed a sata hard drive its not showing.
And i cannot find any setting in the bios that says sata its says ide.
Please HELP
Kind regards
Adamakajohn

Relevancy 57.62%

I usually use the hard drive with the desktop, however the other day I plugged it into the laptop, it was running at the time, and was accidentally unplugged, since then it doesn't seem to be recognized in either computer. The laptop will make the noise when I plug in the external drive, and it shows up in device and printers. It does not show up in computer management though. I have tried the chkdsk, but it wont work, I am pretty sure I have the right letter, but says no volume. Please help.

Just an add on, the hard drive does light up, but does not spin. I did try installing it in the desktop, but it was not recognized when I tried that.

After awhile of being plugged in the hard drive shows up in disk managment, however when I try to Initialize it, it says I/O Error

A:External Hard Drive not showing up.

Hello jimithing33 ,

Getting an I/o error usually isn't a good sign as often it's related to failed hardware. I guess you already tried using different USB port and cable. What model is this HDD? Is it power fed through the USB cable? You could run the manufacturer’s diagnostics tool to see if it will detect it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/347304-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I recently purchased a xt While I was installing it I foolishly plugged in the Floppy Drives power supply into the hard drives jumper settings slot plugged in the power supply of my samsung GB HD and turned on the PC s power Fired something on the HD Don t know what though most likely the jumper pins Is there any way to get my data from the not showing My Hard up Computer in Drive HD I have over years of family photos and over GB or songs Have them on my mp player but the software that I got with the Gigabeat added a SAT encryption and now it can t be removed Being Hard Drive not showing up in My Computer the lazy bum I am I never printed them or took any backups Any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks Edit Here a couple of pictures http img imageshack us my php image dscf ns jpg http img imageshack us my php image dscf hf jpg http img imageshack us my php image dscf qw jpg nbsp

A:Hard Drive not showing up in My Computer

Its not a at-home job, unless u can get hold of some software & hardware that can do it for u. But otherwise, u can only go to one of those disk-recovery companies and give it to them. They'll probably get it for ya, but it'll cost ya.....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-my-computer.39771/
Relevancy 57.62%

So I recently purchased and installed a new hard drive in my PS To do that I had to reformat my Western Digital GB hard drive to FAT format Ok so that's all well and good but I then decided to take my PS GB HD the brand escapes me but it's a big manufacturer of hard drives and put it in an external hard drive enclosure I figured that it's a perfectly good hard drive so there was no sense wasting it Anyway as technologically impaired as I might sound after this which I'm really not I feel compelled to divulge that I actually did not know that two external hard drives shouldn't be too close to each other As soon as I put one on top of the other the GB hard drive beeped and a message popped up saying it needed reformatting So after reformatting everything a second time I plugged in the hard drives and the GB one showed up but my GB one did not External hard not drive showing up It's showing up everywhere else disk management device manager but not in My Computer So I have no access to it at all Also I did not need to reformat the GB HD since my External hard drive not showing up computer gave me no message indicating that I should I'd rather only use reformatting as an absolute last resort since it takes HOURS but if it's necessary that I'll have to break down Throw other options at me first though If I lost you in the midst of all that jumble tell me I'd be happy to explain further

A:External hard drive not showing up

Hello!

Have you tried assigning the drive a letter in Disk Management?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/54802-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 57.62%

i recently got a trojan virus. it took me a long time to remove it but i finaly have. after i realised when i went to 'my computer' my c: drive and d: drive was not shown.

i opened disk management and i saw my drives there, then i went to defragment to see if my drives were there, they were.
so i went on to explorer to see my drives, they still were not showing.

i can see my drives on programs but not on windows explorer, my computer. however, i can see them on my network devices.

can somebody help me try and solve this problem as ive tried all sorts of programs to fix, restore my hard drives and nothign is working.

please help. cblair91

A:Hard drive not showing on my computer

This one is meant for CD\DVD Drives missing (It might work, and it can't hurt trying)

Xp: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

Vista: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929461/en-us

Restart, once complete, and test again

Otherwise, have a look at:

Viruses/Spyware/Malware Preliminary Removal Instructions

Also
Please put your System Specs information in your Profile

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-not-showing-on-my-computer.113886/
Relevancy 57.62%

bought a 320GB int. Drive to replace the 40GB internal i use in an enclosure.The 40GB is set to MASTER & i did the same to the 320GB i can hear the the system make that familar sound when you plug a USB device but don't see the drive.When i unplug the USB i could hear that sound again.This is a brand new HD strait out of the static free bag.Please help...

Rgds.

John

A:New external hard drive not showing

The new external drive needs to be formatted. With the external drive connected, Right-click on My Computer and select "manage" disk management, and right-click on the external drive in the list and select format

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-external-hard-drive-not-showing.122965/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have posted this message below on the not showing network. again. on the Hard drive Help th and have not gotten any reply I am trying again Additional information is that when I do quot Map network drives quot with the laptop C I can see the C drive in quot My Computer quot Help again. Hard drive not showing on the network. and can access it from there but is still does not show up in My network Place Please help I have posted this message on the th andMy Network Place shows all the shared files on my network properly Except recently it stopped showing the laptop hard drive C It shows all the shared files on Drive C and allow access to them Previously it showed both quot C on Maincomp quot and quot C on Laptop quot and all the other shared files on both computers Now it shows everything except quot C on Laptop quot it is the same listing on both computers If I map the network drives I have no problem to access laptop C I tried to unshare the C drive Help again. Hard drive not showing on the network. and to re-share it but Help again. Hard drive not showing on the network. to no avail This problem really baffles me Why can I see the C drive on the main computer and not on the Laptop I did not do any changes to the security or the administration privileges The only updates are the ones that are done automatically by Microsoft via the internet I really need to be able to access the C drive on the network directly Many of the files on the laptop the ones I don t use often I access just by navigating from the C drive nbsp

Relevancy 57.62%

Hello SEVEN FORUMS,
Im here to write an HELP thread for my external hard drive.
Well first off its a SeaGate 250GB Hard-drive (USB) i plug it into the USB port with cable and the light comes on saying its connected.
I go onto my computer and nothing comes up? Its not in My Computer or anything.
DO i need to Do Something Thanks?

PS: im on Windows 7 Home Premium - 64-Bit

CHEERS

A:External Hard-Drive Not Showing Up

Can you post a screen shot of Disk management?
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials...en-forums.html

Screenshot tools.
A Preferred Method of Uploading/Posting Screen Shots
How to Use the Snipping Tool in Vista - Vista Forums
Snipping Tool - Windows 7 features - Microsoft Windows
Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots
Screenshot with Paint
Screenshot and Upload using MWSnap
fscapture free download

Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/179291-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I have had someone working on my computer and now I have just noticed that my 2nd hard drive is not showing in my computer I have looked in belarc and it shows there I have looked in bios my main drive shows but not my 2nd. I am thinking that something is not connected have I got to go inside and operate??

Relevancy 57.62%

Hey,

I have a Western Digital Caviar Se WD 2500 hard drive that does not show up in 'My Computer' anymore and gets extremely hot on the circuit board closest to the middle of the drive within about 30 seconds to the point it will burn your hand.

I'm guessing something has ceased etc...?
Thanks.

A:Hard Drive very hot and not showing in my computer

R.I.P. hard drive

If there is data on the drive that is worth spending loads of money on to recover then it may be possible if you take it to a specialist. Otherwise, hit it with a large hammer and then bin it.

Slainte

midders

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-very-hot-and-not-showing-in-my-computer.875202/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello, I just installed windows 7 and its great except for one thing, my secondary hard drive (not partition) shows up nowhere. (not even device manager or disk management) If I boot back into Vista (Vista and Windows 7 are on same hard drive, different partitions) I can see my secondary hard drive and everything is fine. The secondary drive is just for data (pictures and documents). I have no clue as to why it will not work under windows 7. Both drives are SATA and work under Vista. Drive 2 does not work under windows 7.

A:Secondary hard drive not showing up

Issue solved!

When using a P5Q Pro motherboard, do not connect your secondary hard drive to the white SATA connector.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/31115-secondary-hard-drive-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I've just installed a new hard drive into my computer that is not showing up in Windows It doesn't in New not showing Windows 7? Drive up Hard show in My Computer It doesn't show in Device Manager It doesn't show in Disk Management Does anyone know New Hard Drive not showing up in Windows 7? what the issue is and how to fix I seem to be having dreadful luck recently I ordered a new drive because the present hard drive in my system the SMART system has given me a message of quot PREDFAIL quot so I need to clone it ASAP to a new replacement disk I ordered a replacement drive but unfortunately it arrived damaged It was sent in just a plastic mailer with no protection and one of New Hard Drive not showing up in Windows 7? the corners were all the ports are for data and power at the back left of the drive was damage I had to send that back and got a replacement yesterday The replacement there is no visible physical damage to this disk and I'm pleased to say they sent it in more secure packaging this time However after installing connecting SATA cable and power cable and powering on the system it simply isn't showing up anywhere Have I received a replacement drive that is DOA Or is there something I haven't done that I should have to get the drive to show Is there a driver I need to install I'm suspecting DOA but I seriously hope not I don't want to have to send back for the second time and go through the whole RMA process again

A:New Hard Drive not showing up in Windows 7?

Hello john10001!

There is really not much to the installing process of a new hard drive.
You'd need to connect it to the SATA and power cables on your motherboard and PSU and start the PC, from where in Computer Management you should be able to Partition and Format it from there.
Right after you connect the cables for the first time, you should be able to see your new drive in the BIOS menu. Is it listed there?
If it's not, it's most probably DOA. The other case would be the cables or SATA port. If you've received the cables with the drive, they may too be DOA, so use some of your own, that you know are working and to a SATA port you've tried something else on and also know it's working.
If not, the drive is dead, and you'll probably be better off ordering from somewhere else.

Best of luck!

CK_WD

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/353479-new-hard-drive-not-showing-up-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 57.62%

So I have a hard drive that is pretty old and has been sitting there (HP 1000H 1TB hard drive). I wanted to start using it again so I plugged it in and nothing showed up. Absolutely nothing, anywhere. It's like if I never plugged it in. Anyway, I tried displaying all hidden files and folders, going through computer management, and running diskpart. Nothing worked. Is there any way to fix this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Hard drive not showing up on computer

Greetings, Please refer to this Microsoft MSDN document for help. Cheers!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Hard-drive-not-showing-up-on-computer/td-p/5605251
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a western Digtail Drive till earlier tonight the Files on the drive were showing up, Now there no When i check the prorpties the Drive is full But it's only showing one file up when i click on the hard drive.

Is there anyway at all to recover this as it's a huge amount of files

A:File not Showing up on Hard Drive

Do you have your folder options set to show hidden and system files? The best data recovery program I've ever used is [email protected] Recovery, I had a Western Digital that was absolutely trashed, and in the process of the recovery the program actually fixed the S.M.A.R.T status from Bad up to Good. I got all my files back, too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/file-not-showing-up-on-hard-drive.56323/
Relevancy 57.62%

I got given 2 IDE hard drives which I put into a computer of mine. After some BIOS issues I got it into windows where it only recognises one of the drives. I have the 2gb original C drive and E drive which is one of the new hard drives.
Only the two shown in my computer show in Disk Management.
ALl 3 show in device manage
All 3 show in HD Tune 2.53

Any ideas on how I can get to use it? Doesn't matter if a format is needed.
Thanks

Relevancy 57.62%

I just bought a new hard drive from best buy, its a western digital Blue 500gb hard drive, the old one was failing and causing windows to run slow so I bought this one to fix it. When I try to install the new OS into the blank hard disk it doesnt show up on the list, nothing does. Any tips?

A:New Hard drive Not showing up on HP laptop

Have you assigned a drive letter to the new hard drive ?

Go to diskmgmt.msc > right click at the drive > click Change drive letter and paths > then assign a drive letter > Add > OK

Does that work ?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/38222-new-hard-drive-not-showing-up-hp-laptop.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I have a western digital 2tb hard drive and I am unable to access any of the information on it. It is listed in the devices and printers, but it doesn't give me many options to do much, just view it.

I know that it works on my hp laptop, but the laptop has since crashed. I purchased a new hp desktop and this is where my troubles are.

I tried to find it in disk management, however, it is not found there either. I'm not sure what else to do to access my information.

Any ideas?

A:External Hard Drive Not Showing Up

Hello Trixi

Try a different USB port with the WD Ext HD power turned off. Then power it on to see if the device is found & added. Then check Disk Management.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/284411-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi I have a TB Western not Drive up! showing Hard External Digital External harddrive that i purchased couple of months ago still under warranty Last night whilst browsing my files External Hard Drive not showing up! in the external it frooze so i did a restart I noticed that it made a funny noise not really grinding but not sure how to describe it it powered on blue light turned on but then the hard drive didn t show up in windows explorer and windows re-installed the driver software I let it External Hard Drive not showing up! install still nothing so i went to disk management and turns out that it s not intialised so i went intialise then it went do you want to partition by MBR or GPT i did MBR i got an error saying incorrect function I went into device manager and surely the WD was there I plugged it in my PC and same issue I put it on the laptop again and this time it didn t show up in disk management just device manager I am not sure what else to do Please help me out nbsp

A:External Hard Drive not showing up!

Call WD, see if they have any tech bulletins on that model, does not sound good.

They had a bunch of problems with 1.5 tb drives when they first came out.

I hope you had your data in more than 1 place, it may be gone on that drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-showing-up.903566/
Relevancy 57.62%

and i know it works just fine had it installed b on the same comp til it crashed and i had to reinstall windows now the drive doesnt show up in my comper but hard one drive my can showing computers not my help some second it show up in the device properties page on on bootup and i cant get it to work again gt CAN SOMEONE PLZ HELP Logfile of Trend Micro my computers not showing my second hard drive can some one help HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Avira AntiVir Desktop sched exe C windows system hpsysdrv exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging Unload hpqcmon exe C HP KBD KBD EXE C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C Program Files WildTangent DDC DDCManager DDCMan exe C WINDOWS System igfxtray exe C Program Files Avira AntiVir Desktop avguard exe C WINDOWS System hkcmd exe C PROGRA NORTON navapw exe c Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files Avira AntiVir Desktop avgnt exe C Program Files Nero Nero Nero my computers not showing my second hard drive can some one help BackItUp NBService exe C Program Files YourWare Solutions FreeRAM XP Pro FreeRAM XP Pro exe C Program Files Common Files Nero Lib NMBgMonitor exe C my computers not showing my second hard drive can some one help Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exe C Program Files Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter Wireless Network Monitor WLService exe C Program Files Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter Wireless Network Monitor WUSB GC exe C Program Files Common Files Nero Lib NMIndexingService exe C Program Files Common Files Nero Lib NMIndexStoreSvr exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http us hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http srch-us hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http srch-us hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http srch-us hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http us hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http us hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http srch-us hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http srch-us hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http srch-us hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http us hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant http srch-us hpwis com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch http srch-us hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http us hpwis com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localhost O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocx O - BHO RealPlayer Download and Record Plugin for Internet Explorer - C E -B - BC - - C CA - C Program Files Real RealPlayer rpbrowserrecordplugin dll O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - c Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar hp toolkit - B E - D D- DEB- B - D BCF F - C HP EXPLOREBAR HPTOOLKT DLL O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - c Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - HKLM Run hpsysdrv c windows system hpsysdrv exe O... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-computers-not-showing-my-second-hard-drive-can-some-one-help.897918/
Relevancy 57.62%

Long story short ive had many problems with this ext hhh turned dock hd. This hd does have 4+tb of data on it.
It shows up in Device Manager and windows makes the sounds when connecting it but it never pops up in windows with the drives.
When i also open disk management it wants me to initialize the drive and im sure this will erase the data wont it?
Is there a way to by pass initializing it to be able to get windows to see the whole drive again?
I already have a drive on the way to copy it over and then will do a RMA for this drive but i need to be able to get back into the drive again.

A:Hard drive showing in DM but not in my computer

Doubtful....it sou DS like the boot files corrupted.....its possible could be repaired but unless you have third party software and equipment for data recovery I suggest you take it to a data re oceey expert at a local shop if the data is important to you

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-showing-in-dm-but-not-in-my-computer.1168616/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello,
I recently added a 1.5GB WD Green drive to my system (after Win XP has already been installed). I went into disc management and I added and formated the drive. It now shows in My Computer and I can copy and paste stuff to it. But I tried to use two different cloning programs and both of them did not see that drive. The only thing I can think of is that that drive shows as a Dynamic type instead of Basic like the other ones.
Here is a screen shot to illustrate what I'm talking about. Drive P is the one in question. I'm trying to have the P drive be a duplicate of the D drive. I appreciate the help.

A:[SOLVED] Hard drive not showing up

You didn't say what tools you tried? Have you tried Easeus Disk Copy? FREE Copy & Clone Dynamic Volume to basic disk or convert dynamic disk to basic disk. Repartition/Resize Dynamic Disk under Windows 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7/8 and Windows Server 2000/2003/2008 by using EaseUS Partition Master.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/solved-hard-drive-not-showing-up-680736.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I have just formatted my hard drive and re-installed windows 98. I have 2 hard drives, one c (the defult one that came with the pc)and another mainly for games and thing like that. But when i started my computer back up i can only see my c drive my not my other. This did not happen last time i added the same hard drive. I have tryed using a start up disk but all it came up with was a cd support but when i just tryed to follow it it didnt wokr and ened me in dos.

Relevancy 57.62%

I have a Seagate 7200.12 Barracuda 1tb drive. If I go into my drive and highlight all items, including hidden ones, it shows up at 392gb, which should be give me approximately 540gb left. However, if I click properties of my drive, it shows that I only have 14.9gb left. I already tried the whole shadow drive and it was originally set at around 250gb, now I've changed it to 15% of my drive, but the amount of free space remains the same. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

A:Hard drive showing less space than I actually have

Ill be up front with you, I cannot answer the question.

The good news is, THIS can.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/96930-hard-drive-showing-less-space-than-i-actually-have.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I put a second hard drive in a PII running window 98 SE.. drive is reconginzed in bios but not in wondows ... shows in device manager without a drive letter... if marked as a removalbe drive (it is not) windows will assign a drive letter... any idea's on how to correct this

Relevancy 57.62%

Today, my external hard drive has not appeared on my PC. It did work before I went to sleep yet when I began my PC in the next morning, it didn't show. Can you please help me how to fix this?

A:External hard drive not showing up on my PC

Hello there,

There are a lot of different reasons for an HDD to stop showing. A few things you can try are:

Try using a different USB cable, make sure it is as short as the original one, or even shorter. This is important it terms of providing enough power for the drive to function properly.

Try connecting it to different USB ports.

Try connecting it to a different PC.

Sometimes the drive can misbehave due to insufficient power even if it appears to be spinning make sure you connect the HDD directly to the USB port and not through a USB hub.

Check if you can see the HDD in Windows Device Manager and in Disk Management. Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-on-my-pc.209548/
Relevancy 57.62%

I m having quite a problem here My external hard drive Astone - Tb isn t showing up on my computer - or anybody else s I lent it to a friend and I believe he may have been rough with it The base is missing screws and after receiving drive external hard is showing not My up it back My external hard drive is not showing up the following My external hard drive is not showing up day I plugged it into my laptop It came up with quot Installing device driver software quot which My external hard drive is not showing up is odd since I ve used it on there many times before Afterward it would flash in My Computer for a second coloured grey then disappear It does not appear in Safety Removal Hardware either I ve tried this on several computers but with no difference and the blue light still works The problem is definitely with the Hard Drive since thumbdrives still work fine Reformatting isn t an option because there are important irreplaceable files on there It does however show up in control panel gt Hardware and Sound gt Devices and Printers I still can t access it though - When I right-click and go to browse files quot Removable Disk D quot is written in grey Is there anything you tech geniuses can do to help I m really getting desperate here nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-external-hard-drive-is-not-showing-up.170588/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi hi This doesn't seem to me to be particularly a ubuntu or windows problem though i made the problem through windows so I'll post it here and on a Ubuntu forum and cross my fingers someone will be able to help SO My computer had too many failed OSs and partitions on it and I got a free windows upgrade CD from Dell so I decided to nuke it and start fresh I put the CD in there was the simple upgrade button didn't want that went to the other option because i wanted to erase everything and start showing Not recognizing 500 GB 300 of hard - all drive the again The next screen was a list of partitions I deleted all partitions except the BIOS in the end Not recognizing all the hard drive - 300 of 500 GB showing And popped windows on but it was only reading GB Windows just says Local disk no mention of other partitions under quot Disk Management quot when there was blank space or linux partitions in the past it read them I was hoping all this would be solved when I tried to install Ubuntu Lucid but it's only reading the GB as well Because of this I assume Gparted will have the same problem and there's no point consulting it If I did something wrong there's no problem with starting everything over again all i've installed is firefox But is there anything I can do and will starting again even help Thanks for any help in advance

A:Not recognizing all the hard drive - 300 of 500 GB showing

You need to do a full clean of your HD.

SSD / HDD : Optimize for Windows Reinstallation

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/98150-not-recognizing-all-hard-drive-300-500-gb-showing.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Last night I shut my computer down, okay no problems there, I turn it on this morning and explorer is not showing my second drive. It is shown in the bios screen and also when it is booting up but once windows xp loads its not there or in the device manager

Can someone help me please? thanks in advance

Relevancy 57.62%

I started up pc and a black screen came up telling me to hit f1 to retry or f2 for utility setup.
In setup hard drive is showing n/a. checked cables still wont register. any help would be appreciated.
dell dimension 4600
windows xp home

-maxtor 80gb ata/133 hdd

Relevancy 57.62%

My entire life is on my external hard drive - it's supposed to be my back up. Now I have an issue with that.

I'm running XP with all updated security profiles and the latest SP. I have an external hard drive that has been working fine on this box, but recently, the computer isn't recognizing it. It gives me the whole "driver not found" scenario. But it can't find the driver anywhere on the net, my computer, or anywhere else.

It's a Western Digital hard drive, and I think it's called a Passport drive. Apparently, talking to my dad, they're ****ty little drives. Which sucks. All my music, pictures, and writing (freelance and published fiction writer) was on this drive cause I was going from one box to another.

Help! Please tell me that my data is at least salvageable!!!

Relevancy 57.62%

My WD external harddrive will not show up on my macbook pro and I just bought it. I want to format it but as I said it doesn't show up, even when I go to disk utilities. The harddrive does show up on my windows. What to do?

A:WD external hard drive not showing up on Mac

http://support.wdc.com/product/install.asp?wdc_lang=en

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wd-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up-on-mac.184234/
Relevancy 57.62%

I have an asus gl752V it comes with a 1T HDD and 128gb SSD. I got the laptop last week and it comes without windows, only MSDOS installed on the SSD. So I have installed windows 10 on the SSD. Everything was perfect until I found out that the HDD isn't recognized. So I went to disk management and made "new simple volume" then format and then added a letter to the hard drive. Then it had shown up in "This PC". I wanted to change storage directory under System, but unfortunately the HDD doesn't appear in that screen. So I restarted the laptop thinking that changes apply after reboot, but then the HDD disappeared again from "This PC" and to make it show up again I had to do the above once again, but after I reboot it disapears again. Any idea what the problem might be?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/69701-second-hard-drive-not-showing-up-windows-10-a.html
Relevancy 57.62%

i was putting in a new floppy drive on my comp, i put it in, it works. and then when i turn it back on my 2nd harddrive isnt coming up, it only reads the C drive. i think the IDE came out a little and i pushed it back in during the floppy install but i dont see how that would mess it up. why would it just all of a sudden dissapear?

Relevancy 57.62%

I've just bought a new Western Digital Caviar Green 2tb Hard drive, plugged it all in, checked that it was in bios, it is recongized under slave(it is), but it's not showing up in My Computer.
It's in Device Manager as well.
anybody able to tell me how to get it visible in My Computer so i can use it?
thanks in advance,
Bunney

A:Solved: New 2tb hard drive not showing up

just got help from a friend, had to format it. DUH
cheers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-new-2tb-hard-drive-not-showing-up.878322/
Relevancy 57.62%

Hello,

I am not sure how to describe my issue here but for some reason this happen for 3rd time now
First 2 times i had to re-install OS but this time i want fix the issue

Hard drives wont show up or the images wont show up so the only way to access the files is by \\ to the them

please look at screenshots

can someone please advise on how to fix this
Thanks

A:Hard drive images are not showing up ?

Ok mate first some system specs please because I cannot tell how many drives you have or what is connected up when you do the install. If I see correctly there seems to be a some large storage somewhere with a heap of TV stuff on them.
System Info - See Your System Specs

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/306774-hard-drive-images-not-showing-up.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I have an external hard drive, which was one where i bought the case and wiring, and just put in the hard drive from an old computer of mine. It worked great for two years.

Now, whenever i hook it into my usb, it will not show up in my windows explorer. It does, however, show up in my device manager, as "USSB Mass Storage Device". This, combined with the do-DO noise my computer makes when i turn the hard drive on, i know my computer recognizes it, as there. it just wont let me see any of the files on it.

i have un and re installed it several times.

Ihave lots of pictures and such on it, and i do not want to lost them at all.

any help would be great.

Relevancy 57.62%

i installed a new western digital 160gb SATA hard drive and i have another SATA hard drive that has windows on that i was using before

the hard drive will show up in the device manager but will not show up under my computer

both hard drives are show up on the boot screen

im still goin to use the old one to boot windows off of but i needed the new one for more space

thanx in advance for any help

A:Hard Drive Not Showing up in my computer

It sounds like you haven't formatted your new disk yet. Right click on My Computer and choose Manage. Then browse to your disks and find the unformatted disk and format it as NTFS or FAT32, should be all better.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-not-showing-up-in-my-computer.18581/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi,

I would like to NOT have my two SATA hard drives and my DVD/CD player not showing as removable hardware in the list on my task bar. Any ideas anybody?

Regards

Neville

A:Hard Drive showing in removable devices

In BIOS - Is your drive controller enabled as AHCI? This allows SATA drives to be hot swap - removable. You and I can both search SevenForums for a reg hack to remove the two drives from the Safely Remove Hardware (SRH) icon list. I think there is a registry setting.

I'm a bit tired tonight, but I think you can change the BIOS setting to IDE without ill effect (not true for changing IDE to AHCI, but I think AHCI to IDE is OK).

Somebody stop me if I am wrong.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/25169-hard-drive-showing-removable-devices.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I have just purchased and installed a portable hard disk drive. The enclosure is a Flex-HDD and the drive is an IBM. Can someone help me please. This is quite urgent as I am supposed to be onsite tomorrow morning at 10am.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/portable-hard-disk-drive-not-showing.65348/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello every one! My computer drive E is not showing data and from properties it is shown that data is still there and occupying space. This problem started two days ago when i started my pc and when i opened E there was nothing shown and before it was working properly... kindly help me....

A:Primary hard drive not showing data on it...

Use A43 File Manager. This is a replacement for Explorer.

Your files are still there, probably hidden by malware infection

at the CMD prompt type these

E:
CD /
ATTRIB -S -H /S /D

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/primary-hard-drive-not-showing-data-on-it.169993/
Relevancy 56.76%

From my thread on the Hard drive forum Quote Today I was on the comp browsing the internet when I started to get error messages Code One or more IDE SATA drives has hard issues Virus drive showing stopped working All desktop items disappeared nothing came up when I hit the start menu except solitare and the calculator i believe Ctrl alt delete did not allow me to pull up task manager A program called windows recovery came up this is why I think it is spyware Windows recovery listed the following errors Code Read time of HD Clusters-FAIL of HD is unreadable Problem Virus showing hard drive issues detecting OS files Bad sectors Drive C initialize error File Placement errors RAM defrag errors RAM temp C Boot sector damaged HD doesnt respond Also when I go to computer gt Local disk c gt it says no files found How does it boot up at all if the HD is messed up so bad How do i go about fixing this When windows come up on both regular and safe mode no icons appear on the desktop and only on the start menu C shows no files which is impossible The OS loads fine Can I remove the HD and take it to another system to get the files i need off of it then to a clean Win install or will that risk spreading to this other system Thanks

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/virus-showing-hard-drive-issues-578385.html
Relevancy 56.76%

i just ordered a 320 gb hard drive from newegg. its a sata drive. I work on computers for the local ballet company and the computer i am putting this in is a hp pavilion a1540n and for some reason the last guy who worked on the computer pulled the sata 1 connector out so i have the drive plugged in on the sata 2 port and its showing up in the windows install as only 130gb. only and in the hp bios it shows as the correct 320gb. What am i doing all wrong??

A:320gb hard drive only showing 120gb

see this thread

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/320gb-hard-drive-only-showing-120gb.113242/
Relevancy 56.76%

I have put an hard drive into a hard drive enclosure. I double checked this was working by plugging it in as a slave in my pc. It showed up and I formatted it to ntfs. It does not show up in my computer only in device manager as a usb mass storage device, it says that this device is working properly. Its also plugged in by usb to the rear of my pc.
Please help otherwise this is going in the bin

A:Solved: New external hard drive not showing up

Set jumpers to master.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-new-external-hard-drive-not-showing-up.600778/
Relevancy 56.76%

I have had a WD Hard drive connected to my computer for over a year and since added a second one in a 'firewire' daisy chain. The original is a 250G and the new one is a 500G. BOTH have been working for months but, on occasion, one or the other "disappears".

In the past I have restarted my computer and it shows up but, that is not happening this time. Oddly enough the one that is NOT showing up is the original 250G HD. My computer recognizes the 500G that is 'daisy chained' to it but NOT the original 250G.

How does this happen? Can I prevent this in the future? And...more importantly ... how can I fix this??

Thank you for any help you can provide

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hard-drive-not-showing-in-my-computer.734557/
Relevancy 56.76%

my external hard drive is not showing in my computer even though the computer recognizes it !! I want to see it again but without having to delete everything on it, cause they are pretty important !! PLEASE HELP !!

A:External Hard Drive is not showing in (my computer)

my external hard drive is not showing in my computer even though the computer recognizes it !! I want to see it again but without having to delete everything on it, cause they are pretty important !! PLEASE HELP !!

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/external-hard-drive-is-not-showing-in-my-computer-684430.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I bought a 1TB drive the other day and installed it in my box. I tried it in my hotswap bay and nothing came up (i might need a driver, never used hotswap before). Then I put it IN my box (sata) and nothing came up either. I googled it and was told to look in disk manager and see what the problem is. But the drive isnt even there!
Any help would be perfect. I'm running out of room!
Thanks

btw, I tried the HDD in my Ubuntu box and it worked fine..

A:Hard drive not showing up (even in disk manager)

I would start by going into the bios and making sure all unused sata ports are set to "Auto". But does it spin up when you power on? Can you see it in the bios? Also what mode is the controller set to in the bios? ide, ahci, raid?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/67326-hard-drive-not-showing-up-even-disk-manager.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello, i have just recently started having some weird performance problems with my computer. It has been locking up a lot lately and a few times when i had to hard-reset it, my main WD 160GB hard drive would not show up on the list of drives in startup. I would then have to restart and try again maybe 2 more times and then the drive would finally show up and i'd have to change the boot priority back to it. Is the drive failing? Might it be a memory / processor issue as well? (with the locking up and 1 BSOD)

Relevancy 56.76%

if i go to Devices & Printers, it shows up

if i go to Computer, it doesnt

running Windows 7 thru Bootcamp on an iMac from 2009