Windows Support Forum

How to safely overclock an AMD Athlon II X2 240 processor

Q: How to safely overclock an AMD Athlon II X2 240 processor

The title pretty much says it all.

Here are my specs: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1808734

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: How to safely overclock an AMD Athlon II X2 240 processor

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: How to safely overclock an AMD Athlon II X2 240 processor

Amd makes a really nifty, comprehensive piece of performance software called AOD. It can be had here:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/amd-overdrive/Pages/overview.aspx
Most x2 2xx models will OC to between 3.5-3.8Ghz depending on the motherboard you are using. You should list the rest of your components so we know what we are dealing with, including the PSU you are using. assuming you have quality components, you have the advantage of many others OC'ing this model before you. using AOD is nice as you can shorten the time to OC before making the final stable settings semi permanent in the bios if you choose, or setup an OC profile in AOD to use only during intense operations or gaming if you like. If you want, you can jump right to a setting of 3.4Ghz by raising the HT ref to 242 and the V-core to 1.475 and running the built in stability test for 15 minutes. from there raise the HT ref by 5-10 Mhz and run the stability test until it breaks. You can then raise the Vcore in intervals of .025-.05 until stable. Remember your CPU has a locked multiplier so you will be OC'ing the whole system when you raise the HT ref clock (memory,Northbridge, etc) you may want to drop the HT/NB/CPU multiplier back while you find the maximum OC to eliminate it as a possible limiting factor. a couple things to keep in mind...

1) watch temperatures. Its a REALLY good idea to have after-market cooling (heatsink/Fan) while OC'ing
2) make sure you have adequate PSU, both in capacity and quality.
3) the maximum Vcore for this generation of CPU's is 1.55v, better yet, stay at or under 1.5v -1.525v
4) with very good cooling (and if you want to push up over 1.5 V) you may get over 4.0Ghz.

Here is TechPowerup's Oc of an x2 240, you can get an idea of the settings they used to get 3.8Ghz OC (typical OC for this CPU if you have decent MB,PSU etc)

Here is a look at the control screen of the AOD

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-safely-overclock-an-amd-athlon-ii-x2-240-processor.165156/
Relevancy 92.45%

Pretty self explanatory...tower specs are in my sig.

A:Can I overclock my Athlon XP 3000+ processor?

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20030210/index.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-overclock-my-athlon-xp-3000-processor.414392/
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi, i'm new to overclocking so can someone help me overclock my system please, i just need to know what to change the units to or if someone can prepare a tutorial for me that would be great!

A:How to overclock AMD Athlon ii x4 645

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=263753http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-overclock-athlon,2161.htmlWhen you are done run IntelBurnTest to check for stability. Also be sure you understand that overclocking voids your warranty.

http://www.computerhope.com/forum/index.php/topic,124140.0.html
Relevancy 67.94%

Hi, i want to overclock my Athlon 64....which i heard are made to be overclocked. Can someone tell me what to look for in my CPU MONITOR that this motherboard came with? My CPU right now is set at 200...what's the max for my CPU (ATHLON 64 3000+)? What do I closely monitor...the temp and the voltage as i slowly raise the frequency?

Relevancy 67.94%

I used SpeedFan and overclocked the FSB on an old Athlon XP 2800+ in my D325 workstation. It was rated at 2.08GHz and it is now at approximately 2.313GHz. Any other suggestions on how to increase it any more? The FSB reached its limit at 185MHz before the PC locks up and the multiplier is at the max of 12.5. I have vista Home Premium x86 on it and it runs great.

Just and FYI...by increasing the CPU clock the WEI went from 3.5 for the CPU up to 3.8.

Thanks in advance and I understand if I can't get any more out of it.

A:Athlon XP Overclock

Hello Blackhawk7188,
Have you tried increasing the CPU voltage ?, this may make it a bit more stable.
Increase in very small increments and check the temp at each increase.
Give it a try and post your results, good luck.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/261444-athlon-xp-overclock.html
Relevancy 67.51%

Hello everyone, I'm currently running on a Yoga 500-14IBD Laptop (ideapad) and I am really curious to find out weather my system can overclock. I have a Intel Core i5-5200U CPU @2.20GHz.  

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-Yoga-Series-Notebooks/Can-my-system-overclock-safely/td-p/3388655
Relevancy 67.08%

Can anyone tell me if i can overclock on my setup? I can adjust the CPU,AGP,DDR and NB voltages on my motherboard. I know that the multiplier is locked on my CPU, but someone mentioned a socket hack to get around that. I've never overclocked and this is my first build so i'm trying to learn this stuff. Is this to risky with this setup or do i need any different hardware? If i can how much performance increase can i get? Thanks for any advise.
AMD ATHLON XP 3200 400FSB
ABIT KV7 motherboard
XFX GeForce 5500 video card
OCZ400512ELPE memory
LITE-ON CDRW
ALPS floppy
ZALMAN CNPS 7000-AlCu CPU cooler
ZALMAN ZM-NB47J northbridge heatsink
ANTEC SUPER LANBOY case
ANTEC SL400 power supply

Relevancy 67.08%

My first time to overclock I have read all the warnings realize there is a chance that I may end up with a fried cpu and yet find myself wanting to do it anyways Part of me hesitates to even ask questions about overclocking 2500+ overclock Athlon as the general mood of what I have read in this forum is how shall I say aggresive when it comes to responding to people like me giddy The ones who know so little about OCing Athlon 2500+ overclock yet dare to go on First question is the risk ONLY to the CPU I figure if I burn it I will just buy an Athalon XP Wrong Am I risking more than just my CPU My mobo is the Asus A V I know Athlon 2500+ overclock it is not the best OCing board but not too bad from the research I have done Yes I have been researching as much as I can on this before I dive on in My memory is PC Mhz sticks of Mb I have the Volcano coming in the mail this week to stick on the cpu and cool it off I will have more questions to those who are willing to walk me through this if there Athlon 2500+ overclock is such a person in here I figure I am going to take it nice and slow Tweaking the settings in very minimal increases over the next few weeks nbsp

A:Athlon 2500+ overclock

DonNagual said:

First question, is the risk ONLY to the CPU? I figure if I burn it, I will just buy an Athalon XP 3200. Wrong? Am I risking more than just my CPU?Click to expand...

Any overclocking can damage more than just the component being overclocked. There is always a risk, that the additional stress of overclocking can break something, particularly when o/cing the cpu, where you may need to up the voltage.

As for actually overclocking an athlon 2500+, all you should have to do is increase the FSB to 200Mhz (400Mhz DDR), and if you are lucky it will boot up as a 3200+. If it doesn't boot up then you will have to clear the CMOS, and will need to increase the voltage (from 1.65 Standard) to 1.7 or 1.75.

I wouldn't recommend increasing the voltage much higher, as more voltage = more heat. Some 2500s work fine as 3200s, but others like the one I have tried don't like it, even when running nice and cool (~45C under load) with 1.75V, I could not get it stable, it would run 3dmark fine, but crash under doom3 etc.

As always Your Mileage May Vary.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/athlon-2500-overclock.16278/
Relevancy 67.08%

hi there!
could anybody help me please!
i like to overclock my cpu,but i need some step by step instructions.
would be very nice if somebody could help me please!
thanks
oliver

Relevancy 67.08%

Now I m trying to get some more performance out of my CPU since it s getting somewhat old now and I think it might help I really 5000+ Please help me Athlon X2 overclock my don t know how to explain my motherboard specs but I ll try The manufacturer is nVidia The model is NF-MCP The chipset - nVidia GeForce Southbridge - nVidia nForce a I also know that there s Biostar somewhere there since their Please help me overclock my Athlon X2 5000+ logo is shown on boot up As for BIOS it s brand is Pheonix Technologies LTG Version PG The other reason I wanted to Please help me overclock my Athlon X2 5000+ overclock is because I have the black edition of the CPU that supposedly has an unlocked multiplier so why not take advantage of that The problem is I don t know how to modify that multiplier In BIOS there s only an option to up the CPU voltage by or percent and up the CPU clock but I think that s actually the FSB clock I didn t fiddle with the voltage but I did try changing the clock The accepted range is - with being the default but when I tried setting it to there was an error on bootup and I had to reset it With some trial and error I found out that the highest setting allowed is which ups the clock of my CPU core from to ghz Unfortunately even though the stability test passed the PC froze up after a short time playing a game Naturally I m a bit saddened by this but I figured I d still ask for advice since there are surely more options to explore I d also like to try software overclocking I m running Win bit and all the software I tried failed to work AMD overdrive wouldn t start since the motherboard isn t theirs nTune only allows me to test the stability the options for overclocking are simply gone ClockGen is also missing the sliders to control the clock Is there anything else that I could try nbsp

Relevancy 67.08%

i really need to figure this out because when my pc boots up it says my athlon is 1050mhz. well, last week it said 1600+ its a 1.6 or 1.7 athlon and this is really bothering me.

Relevancy 67.08%

puke: Hi, I hope someone can help me, I have an Asrock K7S8X mobo, AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1 Gb of Ram (PC 2700 , DDR333), and a Geforce fx 5700 le graphics card. I wanted to know if i can overclock the CPU, at present the processor speed in the bios reads, 2083 mhz. CPU host frequency is 166 Mhz and the Dram frequency is set on auto. It can be set to different speeds eg. ddr333 (133 mhz). Any ideas to set me in the right direction, i have overclocked my graphics card using NVIDIA Coolbits, to a speed of 306mhz/514mhz, runs half life 2 like a dream!

A:Amd Athlon Xp 2600+ Overclock?

The processors multiplier is probably locked but you can bump up the CPU frequency to 400. Most 2500 and 2600's will run that high which will give you an XP 3200. I did it with no problems and no increase in heat. You may also be able to get the RAM up that high too. But check it for heat. If the RAM does run at 400 you may need to put heat spreaders on it. Ive always been able to get 266 RAM to run at 333. You might also want to put RAM heatsinks on the video card RAM . Good luck.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-athlon-xp-2600-overclock.17356/
Relevancy 67.08%

Hi all I recently built my new computer and have been trying to overclock my AMD Athlon x CPU Not Black Edition But for some reason it wont overclock very 7750 overclock won't far Athlon X2 very far at all I cant even get it to ghz before the overclock fails and the bios resets the settings back to default Ive been reading online that this CPU can Athlon X2 7750 won't overclock very far easily reach Ghz on Athlon X2 7750 won't overclock very far air without any voltage adjustment I have an Asus M N -AM PLUS Motherboard a GB of Corsair XMS DDR - Memory I hear that this motherboard can overclock reasonably well and i know the ram can go a long way but i still cannot reach past even Ghz even if i adjust the voltage to Athlon X2 7750 won't overclock very far the cpu ram or chipset Does anyone know whats up with this I would really like to overclock my CPU to Ghz This is a full list of my systems specs Motherboard Asus M n -AM Plus RAM Corsair XMS DDR - Video Intergrated GeForce Graphics Upgrading to a cheap gt soon PSU Thermaltake watt PSU I know the gt is a very bad video card but at least its far better then what ive got Anyway any help would be much appreciated Thanks Nissanman nbsp

A:Athlon X2 7750 won't overclock very far

Hi Nissanman,
Unfortunately I can tell you why that is. i own a 7750 but mine is the BE. I had mine (before i replaced it) OC'ed to 3.4 by using the unlocked multi, the non BE versions however do not like to have their ref clock moved very far at all. if you are getting 2.95 you are doing very well for a non BE version. many non BE 7750 owners cant get their FSB past 208. it looks as if you have yours up to 222Mhz

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/athlon-x2-7750-wont-overclock-very-far.131834/
Relevancy 66.65%

I recently upgraded to a HP,Media Center editon pc, Windows XP, AMD Athlon 64 3800+2.4 GHz Processor.

When trying to install Photoshop Album 1.0, I receive this message, "This operating system is not supported by Adobe Photoshop Album. We support Windows 98SE, ME, 2000 , XP Intel Pentium III or 4 processor".

Could my problem with installation be the Athlon processor? When purchasing this computer, our salesman convinced us that the Athlon was just as good as the Pentinum Processor. Any thoughts on this? My computer is less than a week old and having serious thoughts about returning it. I have had problems with other installations. Am I to expect more problems with software and the Athlon processor. Any helpful suggestions will be appreciated. I am getting desperate for advice about the processor.

A:Athlon Processor versus Pentinum Processor in Windows XP

What the message is telling you is that Windows Media Center Edition 2005 is not one of the operating systems that Adobe Photoshop Album 1.0 supports. It has nothing to do with whether an Intel processor or an AMD processor is installed. I checked the system requirements for the newer version 2.0, and it also is not supported by Windows MCE 2005.

By the way, Adobe Photoshop Album 1.0 has a 13.5 MB patch for it and will upgrade it to version 1.0.1. You can get it from here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/athlon-processor-versus-pentinum-processor-in-windows-xp.440153/
Relevancy 66.65%

I want to know.....

How to overclock the graphics card safely without causing a crash?

Please tell me the perfect or documented answer.

Relevancy 66.65%

I Would Like To Oc This Processor For Him And I Was Wondering How To Go About This And How Far To Go. Also Is This Cpu Any Good? I Use Intel So I Am Not Familiar

A:I Want To Overclock A Friends Amd Athlon 1.15ghz

Give us some information and we can help you out.
You'll need to know:

1) The motherboard being used
2) The FSB being used on the processor
3) The rated clock speed, voltage and core of the processor
4) The speed of RAM being used
5) The average temperature of the processor currently
6) What type of cooling is being used / is available

Read the sticki'ed topics in the Cooling and Modding forum and this one, especially this thread:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic9388.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-want-to-overclock-a-friends-amd-athlon-1-15ghz.29183/
Relevancy 66.65%

Ok heres my question I have those 2 CPU's, can you tell me which is better for overclocking
I have read some topic on this forum so I decided to overclock one of those CPU

my specs
GPU Name NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
4GB RAM
CPU those 2 up wich want to clock
sorry if need something more tell me im new in this

A:Should I overclock AMD Athlon x2 240 and AMD Phenom x3 8450

Both are quite weak. Get a more modern CPU and dont bother overclocking it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/should-i-overclock-amd-athlon-x2-240-and-amd-phenom-x3-8450.197705/
Relevancy 66.65%

Hi i have a Asus A8N32-SLI with a AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Socket 939 and i have it overclocked to 2.9Ghz on a 11x Multiply and it seem pretty stable when playing call of duty 4 etc. But as i lower the Multiply to 9x and put FSB overclock to (325) which makes it 2925 Ghz the pc boots but its not stable on the desktop would high performance DRR 400Mhz OCZ Performance DDR400,corsair xms etc make it more stable on the lower 9x multiply since the Ram iam using now is just cheap

A:AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz overclock

RAM makes a big difference. I've had good experience from OCZ and Corsair. You may want to try adjusting the voltage on the cpu or the memory. Though the cheap memory may not do so good with adjusting the voltage.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-athlon-64-x2-4200-2-2ghz-overclock.92482/
Relevancy 65.79%

to you "professional" overclockers of amd systems, i have athlon 64x2 5400+ black edition. my question is this: is running prime95 a "true" test of system stability? i ran the program for two hours without a hitch, but my system just doesn't seem to run smooth--no errors, lockups, or bsod's--it just doesn't seem to run smooth... i can't explain it in any other way.

stock speed 2.8ghz
oc'd speed 3.3 ghz
so, i upped my core voltage to 1.5
upped the dram voltage to 2.0
increased the multiplier to 16.5
backed the ht link to 800mhz (leaving @ 1ghz produces bsod or random reboots)
backed the dram timing to ddr2 667 (leaving @ ddr2 800 produces bsod or random reboots)
i have good temp readings (screenshot is idle; however, running prime95, kept stable temp of 49c)

is there any other setting i should be giving consideration to or that i'm missing althogeter?

thanks in advance for any help, info, or advice

marv

A:athlon black edition stable overclock

I have an intel cpu (see my specs) so this may not be great for amd but this is what i would do.

As your rams rated for 800mhz id raise the fsb to as close to 400 as i could get i get with the multiplier for the cpu as low as it;ll go to get a ratio of 1:1. Ideally your looking for a fsb of 400 with a cpu multiplier of 8 but i dont know if thats possible with your setup.

My fsb is set to 500 so:

Cpu is 500x6=3000mhz
RAM= 500x2=1000mhz
ratio 1:1

Oh and i dont know what voltages amd take but my intel cpu is set to 1.2volts so your 1.5volts seems high.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/216339-athlon-black-edition-stable-overclock.html
Relevancy 65.79%

hey, i have a problem with my comp when i attemp to overclock it.
I have the X2 5600+, and the ASUS M2N-E m/b, with 4x 1Gb OCZ dual channel DDR2 ram.
trying to overclock from the bios never works, as once windows boots up(usually wont even boot up after you leave bios till you manually restart it), the cpu speed is always back at 2.81GHz.
also using the ASUS tool, allowing overclocking from inside windows doesnt work either, as soon as i attempt the update, either a minute or two later, it resets the clock speed, or the computer will just lock up, and when i restart it, the clock speed will be back to normal.
any ideas as to why this might be happening?

Thanks,
Kevin

A:AMD Athlon 64X2 5600+ Overclock problems

How much are you trying to increase the speed and do you increase the memory speed at the same time?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-athlon-64x2-5600-overclock-problems.94118/
Relevancy 64.93%

Im contemplating on purchasing this:
AMD 35W Mobile Athlon XP-M 2000+ 1.533GHz, 266 MHz FSB, 512K L2 Cache Processor - OEM
Model# AXMD2000GJQ4C
Item # N82E16819103441
Specification
Model: AMD Mobile Athlon XP-M
Core: Barton
Operating Frequency: 1.533GHz
FSB: 266MHz
Cache: L1/64K+64K; L2/ 512KB
Voltage: 1.35V
Process: 0.13Micron
Socket:uPGA socket 563.
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, 3DNOW!, 3DNOW!+
Packaging: OEM(Processor Only)
My question is, if i had a nice fully copper thermaltake heatsink rated to cool up to an athlon xp socket A 3400+, how much could i possibly stabily over clock this processor to?

A:How Much can you overclock a ATHLON XP 2000 mobile (barton core)

http://www.overclockers.com
Detailed Info on how much you can push ur CPUs before they become liquid silicon.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-much-can-you-overclock-a-athlon-xp-2000-mobile-barton-core.260211/
Relevancy 64.93%

hi, i have an Athlon XP 2200+ processor and km400-8235 Mobo.
how can i overclock to get the safest maximum power? is it worth doing?
how much Ghz. should i be getiing out of my processor?
any answers comments or questions asked will be greatly appreciated.........thanks

A:Athlon xp 2200+ km400-8235 mobo overclock?

There is no "do this in this order answer" to your question.
Every system will will react differently when overclocking, even systems
with the same components.
The best thing you can do is read, research, and read some more.

This is a site that has a ton of info for anyone looking to overclock.
Overclockers Forums
The people there are very nice and willing to help.
But do some reading first so you are informed of the hazzards of overclocking.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/athlon-xp-2200-km400-8235-mobo-overclock.275985/
Relevancy 64.93%

Hallo, i've had this computer since about late 2005, and i'm wanting to overclock it but i don't know exactly how far i can go with it, i'm not wanting to go overboard just give it abit of a boost.

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4200+ 2.2GHz

And as far as my computer, here's all of the specs Directly from the HP Site.

h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00620031&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=1847152

i'm currently running on: Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (build 2600)

2 Sticks of RAM: 1 Gig DDR2 400Mhz CL3
= 2 Gigs of Ram.

Basically i'm wanting to know how far i can take it(i'm only looking at taking it to maybe 2.5 tho) And what settings i have to put in, Also i have upgraded to a 500W Power Supply And my Graphics card is: GeForce 9800 GTX

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-overclock-a-dino-amd-athlon-tm-64-x2-dual-core-4200.172826/
Relevancy 64.5%

newly built system Motherboard Biostar TF A CPU AMD Athlon X brisbane RAM G-skill DDR mhz GBx PC- here are the CPU specs Name Athlon X dual core Operating Frequency GHz Hyper Transports MHz L Cache KB KB L Cache x KB Manufacturing Tech nm bit Support Yes Hyper-Transport Support Yes Virtualization Technology Support Yes Multimedia Instruction MMX SSE SSE SSE DNOW Professional Voltage V V Thermal Power W My first problem is this - I installed one gb stick and went to test out some settings The HIGHEST clock with X2 for Athlon CPU an 5600+ AMD 1000mhz DDR2 mem settings (Brisbane) Overclock 64 it allows me to Overclock settings for an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (Brisbane) CPU with DDR2 1000mhz mem put the memory is mhz even Overclock settings for an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (Brisbane) CPU with DDR2 1000mhz mem though this is mhz memory The CPU is set at mhz x THe multiplier can be lowered but not raised and the FSB can be changed Right now the current settings are mhzx and cpu-z is showing my memory as mhz I can t understand why I can t raise above mhz in the BIOS In the manual it says the motherboard supports DDR and by AM cpu Is this not an AM cpu What is the ideal setting I should put for the multiplier FSB HTT and memory to give the best performance Second issue is that this board has on-board video but only Overclock settings for an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (Brisbane) CPU with DDR2 1000mhz mem lets me select mb for IGPU buffer size quot in the BIOS I guess I can t go to Sorry but I am new to AMD s new CPU line-up Thanks nbsp

A:Overclock settings for an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ (Brisbane) CPU with DDR2 1000mhz mem

I think I now see that my cpu is AM2, not AM2+ and thus the highest memory supported is DDR2-800 (400mhz). Should I lower the multiplier and raise the FSB? I heard odd multipliers (its on 14.5 now) are not good. Is this true?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/overclock-settings-for-an-amd-athlon-64-x2-5600-brisbane-cpu-with-ddr2-1000mhz-mem.755848/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi, everyone, I have a question (as always):

I work in my father's cybercafe (kind of) and we have a bunch of old pcs which people mainly uses to login into Msn Messenger. One of them has a aprox 400 mhz processor, and after fiddling with the bios (multiplication factor, etc.) I took it to 800 mhz.

So, here comes the question: What are the chances that it might blow up without changing the cooler or doing anything else? Should I lower it a little, should I take it back to 400 mhz? I need it to work as fast as possible, but if it blows up I will have to find a job in the piers.

Thanks for reading, hope you can help!

Matias (greetings from Buenos Aires, Argentina)

A:Should I overclock a 400 mhz processor?

you say its a 400MHz, what proccesor is it, AMD, Pentium.

Im guessing a pentium, and they tend to heat up pretty damn quick so id suggest some extra cooling even if you only slightly overclock it......

but remember is it worth the risk of frying it?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/should-i-overclock-a-400-mhz-processor.18966/
Relevancy 61.49%

How do I overclock a processor? Mine right now is a AMD Athlon XP 2800+, could I overclock this?

A:How do I overclock a processor?

greatly depends on the mb , you do this thru bios by slowly upping fsb by 3 reboot , load windows run some tests reboot into bios up untill a) windows no longer is stable ( then drop by 4 ) b) ur temps are bove 45 idle and 50 full load . theres a lot more to it but lets just keep it simple ....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-overclock-a-processor.41898/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hello everyone, so i want to over clock my processor, it is a P4 2.66 ghz its runing at 2.76 ghz i dont know why its runing at that speed i didnt change it. I built my pc and it has 8 fans on it so cooling wont be a problem. my motherboard is a ECS Elitegroup 848P-A7, i got 1GB od ddr400 sdram, a radeon 9600 pro video card, 200 gb hdd. And i want to overclock my processor to 3.0 ghz i have never done this before and i don't want my pc to mess up, so can anyone give me a crash course in how to do this? Thanks a lot!

A:How To Overclock My Processor

http://www.overclockers.com/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/37214/how-to-overclock-my-processor/
Relevancy 61.49%

I have an Iwill XA100 plus motherboard currently with a 350 mhz amd k6-2 processor. What is the easiest way to overclock this?

A:amd k-6 processor overclock?

Set the board on fire!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/amd-k-6-processor-overclock.315001/
Relevancy 61.49%

I know a little bit about overclocking processors so im not a total dumb *** but i still cant get my AMD 64 3000+ to overclock even 1%, the computer just reboots. I had my friend who has his 3000+ running at 2.3Ghz to come and look at it and he says he doesnt know why the computer is not stable. He said it might be the power supply becasue although i have a 420, its a pretty generic brand one.

Here are the specs of my CPU (from CPU-Z):
Name: AMD athlon 64 3000+
Code Name: Venice
Package: Socket 939
Voltage:~1.47
core speed: ~1.8 Ghz
Multiplyer: x0.9x
HTT: 201.0 Mhz

Cache

L1 Data: 64kbytes
L1 code: 64kbytes
Level 2: 512 kbytes

MEMORY SPECS:
Type: DDR-SDRAM
SIZE: 1024MB
Frequency: 201.0 Mhz
CAS # Latency: 2.5 clocks
Ras# to CAS# delay : 3 clocks
RAS# precharge: 3 clocks
Cycle time: 8 clocks

Im am using Phenoix Bios with an MSI Neo4 motherboard.

Someone please help me out...

Thanks, nick

A:I Cant Overclock My Processor

Does that board have a PCI/AGP lock? If not when you raise the FSB you also OC the AGP and PCI slots and that can cause problems. Have you tried to raise the processor voltage? You might also try changing the CAS to 3.0. There could also be a fault in the motherboard,

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-cant-overclock-my-processor.29635/
Relevancy 60.63%

my processor?...

just curious...

if so how can i do that? is it safe or ?.

thanks all.

A:Solved: can i overclock my processor?

you more likely can, but it is really not recommended, if you do it wrong you could kill the mobo or the processor and prevent a boot.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-can-i-overclock-my-processor.686086/
Relevancy 60.63%

Is it possible to overclock a 2.8 GHz processor and would a high end air cooled system be enough?

I am looking at buying a couple of Xeon systems and wanted to use one as a test subject!!!!

Any thoughts on the performance gains and suggestions welcome!!!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/overclock-a-xeon-processor.663087/
Relevancy 60.2%

i have an amd athlon 64 processor 3200+ with 2gb ram.it is running slow.i have also just bought an ati radeon hd 2400pro sonic graphics card but when you look in settings it only states im at 32bit.what am i doing wrong,as i cant run some of my games at full graphics mode as they run slow or blocky.
please help.

A:Amd Athlon 64 processor

What do you mean 32 bit? If you are running a 32 bit operating system that is what it is telling you, your processor is 64 bits but that won't show up unless your running a 64 bit OS. Your processor is a single core running at 2.0 Ghz which is ok but not the best for gaming, your graphics card also isn't exactly top of the line, its a budget DX10 card so I wouldn't be expecting to be playing the newer games maxed out.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-athlon-64-processor.102576/
Relevancy 60.2%

I recently bought a new heatsink to overclock my processor and when i do a overclock on amd overdrive it freezes my computer. any suggestions?

A:Computer freezes when trying to overclock processor

I know that you are asking how to overclock and not freeze, to that I cannot give you answer. I can present you with the methods to help prevent freezing, one of which is not to overclock. Perhaps one of the other suggestions may be of help

Here are my solutions to freezing, and an excellent article, which I hope is of some help
Go to search type device manager and look for any yellow warning markers
Download and run malwarebytes, a full scan after you update
Run antivirus scan
Check memory with memtest86
Make sure that you are not over heating.
Try in safe mode; report back if it works properly.
Try a clean boot
Make sure PSU is working properly
If overclocking, restore to original
Test hard drive at company website.
Test in safe mode, does it still happen?
Try with clean boot..
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic...ing-memtest86/
http://malwarebytes.org/
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

http://ezinearticles.com/?Troublesho...blems&id=39981

Yet other suggestions
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...ml#post1131640

http://www.vistax64.com/overclocking-cooling/286891-computer-freezes-when-trying-overclock-processor.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi there,

I've an ISSUE! What is easiest/safest way to overclock AMD Sempron 64 3000+ processor with socket 754 ASRock K8Upgrade-NF3 motherboard ( http://www.asrock.com/product/K8Upgrade-NF3.htm )? I've tryied to overclock my processor trought the BIOS (overclock mode), but everytime I boot, I'll get an error message "CMOS Checksum Bad". All tough, in Windows I could overclock my processor and graphic card with NTune, but overclock last until the next boot. I even have Zalman CNPS9500 LED processor cooler installed. Can anyone tell me, is there anykind of guide to do a safe overclock etc. Help the noob a.s.a.p.

A:Overclock AMD Sempron 64 3000+ processor

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1027479689#post1027479689
http://forums.amd.com/index.php?showtopic=16788

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/overclock-amd-sempron-64-3000-processor.48508/
Relevancy 60.2%

I recently bought a new heatsink to overclock my processor and when i do a overclock on amd overdrive it freezes my computer. any suggestions?

A:Computer freezes when trying to overclock processor

I know that you are asking how to overclock and not freeze, to that I cannot give you answer. I can present you with the methods to help prevent freezing, one of which is not to overclock. Perhaps one of the other suggestions may be of help

Here are my solutions to freezing, and an excellent article, which I hope is of some help
Go to search type device manager and look for any yellow warning markers
Download and run malwarebytes, a full scan after you update
Run antivirus scan
Check memory with memtest86
Make sure that you are not over heating.
Try in safe mode; report back if it works properly.
Try a clean boot
Make sure PSU is working properly
If overclocking, restore to original
Test hard drive at company website.
Test in safe mode, does it still happen?
Try with clean boot..

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic...ing-memtest86/
http://malwarebytes.org/
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

http://ezinearticles.com/?Troublesho...blems&id=39981<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Yet other suggestions
http://www.sevenforums.com/general-d...ml#post1131640

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #dce3e9; COLOR: #dce3e9" color=#dce3e9 SIZE=1>

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/286891-computer-freezes-when-trying-overclock-processor.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi I have a windows Home Premium just got it june this year Amd Athlon tm IIx Athlon(tm) Amd IIx4 3.00 Ghz 640 Processor Processor Ghz GB Amd Athlon(tm) IIx4 640 Processor 3.00 Ghz -bit OS Amd Athlon(tm) IIx4 640 Processor 3.00 Ghz Ive had a lotta trouble with errors in my reports they are takeing up all my sapce and heres why I am here at the moment when I ran a diagnostic it came Amd Athlon(tm) IIx4 640 Processor 3.00 Ghz back that half of the report was missing to find out why my os was low and that my cpu was I need to know what to do I have had a lotta trouble with the radeon HD also it needed updateing right when i picked it up n brought it home it kept diplaying that i needed a diplay driver several times on a brand new pc something isnt right It was custom made if anyone could gimmie some tips here what to look for I could check and maybe come back and get some instructions im at loss still dont know everything that i would like to know about my pc I wish that i had a manual from what i have gathered there isnt any

A:Amd Athlon(tm) IIx4 640 Processor 3.00 Ghz

lustyln,

By errors in your reports--what do you mean?

In the meantime, would you fluff out your system specs for us. That way, your system specs go with each of your posts and you are not dependent upon someone having read some particular post.

UPDATE YOUR SEVENFORUMS SYSTEM SPECS

User CP (3rd item in the top menu bar) |
in left-hand column, under Your Profile, Edit System Spec |

Use Speccy - System Information - Free Download
and/or SIW to gather info for filling in the blanks.
You can also use the System Spec tool from this fine tutorial:
Use System Info to see your System Specs

Do me a favor. Please add the word laptop or desktop to the ?system manufacturer? block.

Provide full windows version info, such as provided by Speccy:
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1

Use the ?Other Info? block for Optical Reader, Mouse, touchpad, wifi adapter, speakers, monitor

Scroll down and click on the SAVE CHANGES button.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/183286-amd-athlon-tm-iix4-640-processor-3-00-ghz.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi, I am thinking of agetting an athlon 64 cpu.

I coudln't believe it when I saw they had a 1600MHZ FSB!

What speed DDR memory is necessary to run with that??

I know since I have and amd xp 3000+ machine 333mhz, I just use pc2700(333mhz) ddr memroy and set the ratio to 1:1

but 1600mhz ddr memory doesnt exist!
My second question is what is the difference between athlon 64 cpu and athlon 64 FX-53 cpus?

The FX series seems to be a lot more expensive, is there a huge performance difference?
How do these compare with the top intel p4 cpus?
Third, is there a WINDOWS 64 bit OS, and Is that recommended to use with an athlon 64 cpu? or just go with regular windows xp home or pro.
thanks

A:questions about the new athlon 64 processor...

The memory controller on the FX chip is 128bit, the Athlon 64 is 64bit.

Since the memory controller is onboard the cpu, you really don't have a FSB per say since the memory is controlled by the hypertransport controller and not by the mobo.

Your memory bandwidth from the dual channel would be the same, but the speed of the request through the memory controller is much faster do to the integration of the controller on the cpu. Therefore theorically the FX could perform request from the memory at twice the rate than the regular version. It's no longer the FSB that only determines the speed of requests to the ram. The Athlon 64 FX memory subsystem speed beats the P4 by over 20% and leaves the Athlon XP behind by more than 81%

There is no official 64bit windows release. Furthermore, when the OS is released it will only be available as OEM to ensure support for all equipment it's used with. Therefore, even when it does come available, it may not work on the 64bit system you build today. Still the AMD 64 bit cpu's are the way to go due to price/performance, and you may, in the future, get windows 64 support for your PC. If not, at least you can move the CPU to new hardware (mobo, etc) and buy some OEM equipment with the 64bit windows later on when it's released.

It's kinda like buying a printer back in 97 only to find the manufactuer didn't release a driver for winxp. It may work later, but there's no sure bet for your hardware, only the CPU is a safe one.

For the OS, I'd recommend winXP pro. I prefer win2000, but it looks like support will be running out on it shortly..

I believe when you were talking about 1600mhz DDR, you were talking about the speed of memory requests from the cpu through hypertransport. Like I mentioned, this is not the FSB and isn't dependant on the FSB anymow...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/questions-about-the-new-athlon-64-processor.256142/
Relevancy 59.34%

HI, I was wondering why the amd athlon 5200+ has 2x1mb cache for the L2 cache, but the newer version (amd athlon 5400+) only has 512x2? And the 5400+ has 2.8ghz when the 5200+ only has 2.6ghz. Which is better to get, and which will have overall better performance? Im guessing the 5200+ because its more expensive. thanks -Nick

5200+: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103759

500+: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103769

A:amd athlon processor question

They have the same cores but the larger cache will help a lot more than the minimal difference in clock speeds. So I think the 5200+ is a better buy. Just because something is more expensive, doesn't mean it's better.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-athlon-processor-question.70048/
Relevancy 59.34%

KNOWN LIMITATIONS:
The processor performance state may not be restored to the maximum state if the CPU runs at 100 percent. This problem occurs if the computer is 100 percent busy when the power policy changes.

Does that mean my processor could be damaged permanently? And what do you think about that driver, should have I installed it or not?

A:AMD Athlon 64 Processor Driver

Install it if you intend to use cool'n'quiet. If you like for your system to be silent when you're web-surfing, listening to music, etc. it could certainly help. Otherwise there's no need.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-athlon-64-processor-driver.29581/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello All,
I have a problem with my processor AMD Athlon X2 64 is not defined on windows 7,
I used windows update, but it was useless, on device manager it says : coprocessor with yellow warning.

can anyone help me?

Best regards.

A:processor AMD Athlon X2 64 driver

Quote: Originally Posted by abed87

Hello All,
I have a problem with my processor AMD Athlon X2 64 is not defined on windows 7,
I used windows update, but it was useless, on device manager it says : coprocessor with yellow warning.

can anyone help me?

Best regards.

Update BIOS and that should be fixed. Make sure you have a backup of your system and of the BIOS before hand.
Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/85822-processor-amd-athlon-x2-64-driver.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Ok i just got through reading Vehementi s post about overclocking and how not to ask well i know quite a bit about computers but yet i have not learned exactly what to do to overclock I have looked and looked all over the net for help I have read books now and yet no anwsers dead I have a decent laptop that i use when I m not using this but my laptop is not always available and this computer is crappy I cant even listen to music and go on the internet or aim without it lagging I have an Ghz athlon processor and an asus A V-VM motherboard and an ASUS-TNT-Vanta video card with processor. I need help my athlon extreme I I need extreme help with my athlon processor. need to kno exactly what to do to increase my processor speed i know you have to increase the voltage bus speed ect and i can anwser a couple of Vehementi s questions So would someone be I need extreme help with my athlon processor. nice enough to tell me how tol overclock and what would be a decent speed to aim for without frying the motherboard or hurting my computer too bad I have proper cooling to overclock i have fans and a huge heatsink deal over my processor my computer s processor temp stays around degrees F so i can heat it up quite a bit so please could someone at least guide in the right direction or tell me where i can learn how to overclock this specific CPU and motherboard Some additional details are BIOS Revisions Date Core Version Chipset VIA VT C A VIdeo Card ASUS-TNT-VANTA Motherboard AsusTek A V-VM Processor Athlon Ghz RAM MB PC i believe giddy HDD GB Now i I need extreme help with my athlon processor. know my computer is a piece and it may serve no purpose overclocking but i am desperately in need of speeding this thing up without buying new stuff I m and I don t have the money to just go out and buy a new processor or motherboard trust me I would if I could so please someone help nbsp

A:I need extreme help with my athlon processor.

In Google, type in overclock Asus A7V-VM and pick your choice!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-need-extreme-help-with-my-athlon-processor.28001/
Relevancy 59.34%

hi,

the "AMD Athlon 3000+ XP Processor" chip, does this mean it will only run XP,
or can I run 98se ?

cheers

A:AMD Athlon 3000+ XP Processor

You can run anything. AMD's XP is just the name given to this range of processor.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/amd-athlon-3000-xp-processor.280916/
Relevancy 59.34%

I just replaced my Athlon with a Athlon X It looks like Windows sees it as a single core processor whereas Linux sees it as a dual-core X2 - Processor Question Athlon perfectly Do I need to reinstall Windows to get it to see my process properly Also in Linux it s showing the cpu MHz as Should this be Processor Question - Athlon X2 Code email protected cat proc cpuinfo processor vendor id AuthenticAMD cpu family model model name AMD Processor Question - Athlon X2 Athlon tm X Dual Core Processor stepping cpu MHz cache size KB physical id siblings core id cpu cores fdiv bug no hlt bug no f f bug no coma bug no fpu yes fpu exception yes cpuid level wp yes flags fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse clflush mmx fxsr sse sse ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr opt lm dnowext dnow pni lahf lm cmp legacy ts fid vid ttp bogomips processor vendor id AuthenticAMD cpu family model model name AMD Athlon tm X Dual Core Processor stepping cpu MHz cache size KB physical id siblings core id cpu cores fdiv bug no hlt bug no f f bug no coma bug no fpu yes fpu exception yes cpuid level wp yes flags fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse clflush mmx fxsr sse sse ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr opt lm dnowext dnow pni lahf lm cmp legacy ts fid vid ttp bogomips email protected nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/processor-question-athlon-x2.571373/
Relevancy 59.34%

Is the AMD Athlon XP Processor 3200+
a worthy processor for gaming?
Or is Intel Pentium 4 the way to go??

Thanks!

I was looking at the specs of:

AMD Athlon XP Processor 3200+
1GB DDR SDRAM PC-3200
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5900 Ultra 256MB

for gaming... would that do good? or do I need to go with the Pentium.

Thanks!

A:AMD Athlon XP Processor 3200+

Firstly, please can we NOT HAVE another AMD vs Intel debate. And if we have to, can it get appended to existing threads?

Secondly, that AMD chip you mention is likely a great piece of equipment. Of course it will be good for games. I've got an Athlon 2100+ and its fine for games, and you (apparently) will have 50% more raw processing power - go get 'em , tiger!

This does not answer the question of whether an Athlon or P4 is the best for you. You'd have to tell us a lot more about your requirements, your budget and your expectations first.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-athlon-xp-processor-3200.7436/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hello everyone.

I built my new AMD setup two days ago, and today I just wanted to
check if the thermal paste was properly spread after the HSF was placed on the CPU.

The only problem is.. the heatsink seems to be pasted onto the processor,
and I don't want to damage the processor by ripping it out of the socket...

Could anyone tell me a manuever or method to applying enough pressure to remove the HSF and NOT rip out the processor?

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks in advance.

A:HELP! Trying to remove athlon 64 939 processor!

The best way to tell if you applied the thermal paste correctly is to monitor the CPU temperatures while it is operating. If you remove the HSF (Heat sink Fan) unit then you'll have to clean off the old thermal paste from both the CPU and HSF and reapply a new drop and stick it all back together. Of course in 2 days you'll want to remove it again and see if it spread out correctly, so you'll have to clean off the old paste and....Yadda Yadda Yadda.

How much paste did you apply? A drop in the middle of the CPU cap about the size of a small grain of rice or half a bee-bee is the correct amount. Any more than this and you run the risk of actually insulating the CPU from the HSF rather than connecting them thermally.

Did you clean off the surface of both the CPU and HSF before applying Thermal paste? These surfaces need to be oil (like your greasy hands oil) and lint free before sticking them together.

There should be NO paste leaking around the edges. See 1 above.

What is your CPU and what temps are you seeing? If you insist on inspecting your work then gently twist the HSF off of the CPU. Don't pry it off, don't strain yourself, avoid sharp instruments. It may be a little sticky but will eventually work free. I have used a blow dryer to heat up the HSF and CPU junction, just a little, to work things free on older installs but be advised that dry, hot air blowing across an electronic surface is a prime breeding ground for static electricity and all the nasty repercussions that come with it.

If you applied too much thermal paste then yes, you need to remove the HSF, clean the surfaces and install correctly. Be patient and do no harm here. See the Arctic Silver site for some good illustrated instructions on the proper amount of paste to apply.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-trying-to-remove-athlon-64-939-processor.40358/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi

I have a brand new computer (a week old) with an AMD Athlon XP 2500 Processor. Windows has a driver update. It says K7 Processor dated Dec 17 2002. I checked the date of the driver that I now have and it is July 1,2002. So the Windows one would be newer. I have been checking Windows updates everyday for a week and today is the *first* day this driver has shown up - which I find strange.

In any case, should I be installing this driver? Is Windows correct in its identification, etc. ?

Thanks!!!!

Vivienne

Relevancy 59.34%

My PC hardware is:

Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H motherboard
Intel i5-3570K CPU & Noctua cooling fan on Normal BIOS profile
16MB GSkill memory

I've just started experimenting with overclocking and found this simple approach which increases the Turbo ratios https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L0EOCWWeIQ

I've obtained a stable overclock by setting the Turbo ratios to x42 and CPU PLL to 1.65V. All other settings are on Auto.

At this setting the PC runs the Intel Burn Test at 77C and the Prime 95 Blend Test at 66C which I understand is quite reasonable.

However, if I increase the Turbo ratios above 42 , I have to terminate the Intel Burn Test since the temperature ramps up above 90C and I get an audible CPU warning.

Has anyone any tips on how to achieve a higher stable clock by increasing the Turbo ratios. I'm aiming for a stable, reasonably quiet overclock.

A:Simple Method to Overclock i5-3570K Processor?

A really good cooler and watch the voltage (that you can provide enough), basic tips

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/70244-simple-method-overclock-i5-3570k-processor.html
Relevancy 58.91%

I am working on an older Gateway for a teenagers chat and internet accesible comp I I My Safely Change Can Processor Solved: want to replace the OEM mhz Celeron with a mhz Pentium II Gateway s Tech support says that the mhz P is not supported by my motherboard but the motherboard does support Solved: Can I Safely Change My Processor the mhz and the mhz PII s Everywhere else I have seen doesn t single out the Solved: Can I Safely Change My Processor mhz PII as unsupported Here is the link to the supported processor list on gateways site http support gateway com s MOTHERBD INTEL m m shtml Any help as to if it would still work and if not then why would be greatly appreciated The Computer is Gateway Essential C Intel Celeron MHz Slot Processor Want to upgrade to the PII - TG PC MB SDRAM Intel Tolstoy BX Slot MBD Rev Integrated Audio Video NV T Western Digital Caviar GB H D Model WD AA Toshiba XM B Internal x CD-ROM Drive Mitsumi CR- ETE X X X CD-R Rw Panasonic -MB Floppy Disk Drive Astec Solved: Can I Safely Change My Processor ATX - W Power Supply Windows SE US Robotics AD JS K v Modem Everywhere Linksys NC v E Lan Card nbsp

Relevancy 58.91%

AMD ATHLON XP 3000+ 333FSB PROCESSOR CPU

Anyone know if this motherboard and processor is any good?

Thanks and Have a Great Day,
jraquel

A:Amd athlon xp 3000+ 333fsb processor cpu

Well, it's a very low-end combination in today's world. "good" would depend on your intended usage. It should be cheap.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/amd-athlon-xp-3000-333fsb-processor-cpu.958308/
Relevancy 58.91%

I just recieved my custom built pc from cybersystem and i'd like to know how to overclock this processor my friend told me that i have a slow pc..

here are the specs to my pc:

ATOP ATX833-BLACK CASE 350 WATT W/ SIDE-PANEL WINDOW
AMD Athlon XP-2400+ Processor
ASUS A7N8X-X nVidia nForce-2 400 FSB 8X AGP w/ USB2.0, LAN, &; AUDIO
512 MB (256MBx2) PC3200 400MHz Dual Channel DDR MEMORY
80GB 7200 RPM ATA 100 HARD DRIVE

Relevancy 58.91%

My current CPU is....
Processor : AMD Sempron 145 (single core) 2.8 ghz
Socket type : AM3
Cache L1 : 64 kb
L2 : 1 mb
Architechture : 32-bit
Can I upgrade to a 64-bit changing only the processor Or Is it that I can upgrade to only a 32-bit processor?

The processor I want to upgrade to is....
Processor : AMD Athlon II X2 270 (dual core) 3.4 ghz
Socket Type : AM3
Cache L1 : 256 kb
L2 : 2 mb
Architechture : 32 or 64 bit

A:Can I upgrade amd sempron processor to amd athlon x2 ?

You have asked a question that does not have an answer [at least in the current form of your question]

You need to provide a LOT more info; exact mb installed, what pw supply you are running, etc, etc, etc.

Note if this is a big box system ie dell, hp, whatever, the only one who can tell you is the oem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-upgrade-amd-sempron-processor-to-amd-athlon-x2.1092785/
Relevancy 58.91%

got another ? for anyone out there anybody know what i can do about a mother board that isnt posting. im getting power to it but for some reason it doesnt sound like it is posting. if i clear the cmos battery can that help or is the mother board bad. socket 754 amd athlon 64 xp 3000 +

Relevancy 58.91%

Can Someone help me with my Processor Upgrade....  At the present time, I have a AMD ATHLON II X 2 IN MY HP COMPAQ CQ5222UK DESKTOP & I Would like to upgraded my Desktop Procressor from a AMD ATHLON Il X2 to one more prowerful than what I have A presentMy Computer Desktop is the - HP COMPANQ CQ5222UK DESKTOP  I have read several article's saying I can do this but my problem is that I keep reading Conflicting information.  I.E. One Company says,  You can upgrade to a Intel Core Processor but some other Companies Say, I could upgrade to a AMD ATHLON X4 860K. I would very much appreciate some help & advice upgrading my HP Compaq CQ5222UK Processor from a Expert......... Kindest Regards Pedro 10

A:Upgrading My Desktop Processor from a AMD ATHLON II X2

On the support page for that model, it states:Motherboard supports the following processor upgrades:Socket type: AM3TDP: 95 wattAMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb)AMD Phenom II X3 7xx/7xxe Triple-Core (Heka)AMD Phenom II X2 5xx (Callisto)AMD II Athlon X4 6xx/6xxe (Propus)AMD II Athlon X3 4xx/4xxe (Rana)AMD II Athlon X2 2xx/2xxe (Regor)AMD Sempron 1xx (Sargas)As for the statement "One Company says,  You can upgrade to a Intel Core Processor"  Processor upgrades cannot cross from AMD to Intel.  The motherboards are completely different as well as the processor sockets.  As to the Athlon X4 processor stated, NO.  But the motherboard does support the AMD Phenom II X4 9xx/9xxe/8xx Quad-Core (Deneb) or the AMD II Athlon X4 6xx/6xxe (Propus)

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrading-My-Desktop-Processor-from-a-AMD-ATHLON-II-X2/td-p/5831173
Relevancy 58.91%

Below is a copy and paste of a computer ad i am looking at. Last time i bought a computer, Pen4 was a top of the line processor,so i am out of touch with presentday top line processors.

Is what is pasted below a 'ATHLON64 DUAL CORE' ? is that the best ATHLON processor available? Or is AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 2GHz 3800+ processor better?
(reminder 'there is no such thing as a dumb question')
Processor
Type: AMD Athlon 64 3800+ / 2.4 GHz
Multi-Core Technology: Dual-Core

Relevancy 58.91%

Greetings, all.

I've been away a long time. I have a question and hope I got the right forum. BTW, this isn't about the XP OS but is about testing a processor.

I just bought an Athlon 64 X2 socket 939 processor (4400) to be used in a later build. I am currently running a spare XP system using an Athlon 64 (4000) processor.

What is the easiest way to verify that the X2 processor I just bought isn't dead, using my current system but not hosing it up so that I can continue using my originally configured system (the Athlon 64) after the functional check of the X2 processor. I don't want to have to reload XP or repair it if possible. Thanks in advance.

Mark

A:How to do a functional test on an Athlon 64 X2 (939) Processor

The CPU test most used is Prime95.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/371709-how-do-functional-test-athlon-64-x2-939-processor.html
Relevancy 58.91%

i have recently realized that i want to overclock my processor (3.33 Ghz) as it struggles with several tasks i set it how would i do this? please could you give me as much information as possible including what fans to get and what programs to use as i saw the aftermath of a freinds overclockage and....well murky green mountain doesnt really excite me at all. also any veiws on the ATI HD 2600 XT GPU? i would quite like to use it

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-would-i-overclock-the-intel-celeron-d-processor-fans-programs-and-all.648160/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi My Name Is Goliath Im A Newbie @ts ...i Just Order My New Gateway Fx510x With The 7800gtx Just Wondering If Anyone Have Any Experience With The Fx510 ? Oh Yea Can I Overclock The Processor? What Is The Maxium I Can Overclock It?

A:Newbie...just Order The New Gateway Fx510x..can I Overclock The Processor?

I wouldn't suggested it. Most of the time with commerical built systems overclocking can void your warranty.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/newbie-just-order-the-new-gateway-fx510x-can-i-overclock-the-processor.45394/
Relevancy 58.91%

Heyo, it's the MuffinMan, and I was wondering if I could overclock my Intel Pentium Quad Core (2.16 GHz) Processor. And if yes, by how much? I have never overclocked before and I was hoping to run a few more games. Thanks!

-TheMuffinMan

A:Can I overclock an Intel Pentium Quad Core Processor?

Try filing in your system specs in forum or post them, so we can get a better idea if you can what you have in system, if it is worth the try. Can be some risks involved in doing this. RAM plays a part and motherboard.

http://www.eightforums.com/gaming/61490-can-i-overclock-intel-pentium-quad-core-processor.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi,I am thinking of upgrading this Processor to an AMD Phenom? II X3 Processor or a x4,would this be worth it for performance.or stick with the present. Regards Martin.

A:AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+

this processor will give you a huge performance increase over the 4400, however you will need a different motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103649

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/amd-athlon-64-x2-dual-core-processor-4400.130960/
Relevancy 58.05%

i just like to know if this new processor will work on my mother board M2N68-LA (Narra5)

A:upgrade processor in a compaq CQ5300F to a AMD-Athlon-X4-8...

@jet-meck? No it will not work. The M2N68-LA (Narra5) motherboard. NOTE: Only socket AM2+ processors are supported with this motherboard. http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c01701270 The AMD 845 is a Socket FM2+ http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/CPUs/AMD/Athlon_X4/845.html REO

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/upgrade-processor-in-a-compaq-CQ5300F-to-a-AMD-Athlon-X4-845/td-p/5829508
Relevancy 58.05%

Readout on chip:

Readout:
AXMS1500FWS3B | 9881995250216
AIPCA 0217WPAW

Will post picture if needed..

Came from a laptop, but want to make sure it's not a desktop chip in a laptop (which does happen). Actually hoping it's a desktop chip..

A:Curious if this athlon is a desktop model of processor..

Core: AXMS Tbred/Barton Mobile 25W , AXMD 35W, AXMH 45W

It's a mobile chip.

Made 2002, week 17, Max FSB=200, 1.3v, max temp 95C, 256k cache...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/curious-if-this-athlon-is-a-desktop-model-of-processor.195870/
Relevancy 58.05%

Hey there guys, not sure if this is the right area for this or not, but im looking to pick up a new AMD Athlon? X2 Dual-Core processor at 3 Ghz.

Now Right now I have a P4 2.4 Ghz Socket 478, and I would like to upgrade my CPU, but cant really see this socket type going much higher than a single 3 ghz.

I am looking to invest in the AMD Athlon? X2 Dual-Core, but Im not sure which mobo I would need to be able to have it work properly.

Unless you guys can just recommend a good upgrade to my cpu which wont have me get a new mobo.

thanks guys!

A:debating AMD Athlon™ X2 Dual-Core processor

I just did a search, & I think the socket 478 is for Intel CPU's. If you want an AMD CPU,
you could probably find a combo deal of CPU & motherboard at NewEgg, TigerDirect, or
Fry's Electronics at reasonable prices over just buying a 3.0 ghz CPU.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/ComboDea...rboards&Page=5

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/119056-debating-amd-athlon-x2-dual-core-processor.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hi all Need a little help please I'm an IT Manager in AMD Processor Pack Athlon 3 with PC on Service Update a small company that is getting bigger and I have recently acquired a PC that was in storage that needs a bit of TLC to bring it back into daily use I have done all the usual Defrag Scandisk Disk Cleanup AV Scans Windows Updates but have come to a sticking point All is working well except I cannot seem Service Pack 3 Update on PC with AMD Athlon Processor to get Windows Service Pack Service Pack 3 Update on PC with AMD Athlon Processor to install I have downloaded the AMD Processor Patch downloaded the manual install file for Service Pack and started the PC in quot Safe Mode quot I get the same error message each time quot C Windows Sys drivers ndis sys is open or in use by another program quot and then the installation fails I have done AV scans tried installing SP in Normal Mode and Safe Mode Shutdown and Restarted the PC I'm stuck now I noticed that there was Service Pack 3 Update on PC with AMD Athlon Processor an issue being highlighted in Forums back in about compatibility issues with AMD processors but I would have thought that would be resolved by now All other Windows Updates seem to be downloading and installing fine just not SP The PC Spec is as follows Windows XP Pro SP AMD Athlon x Dual Core Processor GHz Gb RAM GB HDD DVD RAM drive installed Standard Network Card and Graphics Card Any advice or guidance would be greatly appreciated

Relevancy 57.62%

Hello,
I have a Athlon XP barton core 2500+ processor sitting on an Asus A7V600-X with (2) 256MB sticks of Corsair Value Select.

In BIOS, the CPU Speed is 1467 MHz , bus speed is 133/33, and multiplier is 11.0x. I can't remember exactly what the ram is... (either PC2700 or PC3200) but do I need to change these settings or is the correct speed for a XP2500+?

I'm not interested in OC'ing or anything, just want to be running at the right speed.

Thanks
Ed

A:Athlon XP 2500 processor running at 1467MHz. Is that correct?

That is definately not the correct speed for your processor, I run an xp2000+ and its normal clock speed is 1666 Mhz. In your bios there is a setting for front side bus (fsb) speed, u need to set that correctly for your particular processor.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/athlon-xp-2500-processor-running-at-1467mhz-is-that-correct.26941/
Relevancy 57.62%

quot Hoping someone can offer some advice with this frustrating problem I'm currently running Vista Ultimate SP bit My motherboard is an ASUS K N-E-Deluxe nForce chipset My processor is an Athlon Newcastle Kb L Cache The Asus upgrade after 64 Processor Athlon wont Vista boot board allows for up to overclocking natively in the BIOS so I have been running this at Ghz without problems for some time I have a decent CPU Cooler and my Vista wont boot after Athlon 64 Processor upgrade CPU temps are regularly in the low s at idle I recently decided to upgrade the processor to an Athlon Clawhammer Mb L Cache I installed the processor intending to Vista wont boot after Athlon 64 Processor upgrade overclock it automatically with the same BIOS settings Put everything back together and switched the PC on It posts ok and the new processor shows up fine in the BIOS Initially with these Vista wont boot after Athlon 64 Processor upgrade settings after detecting all the disks correctly on the POST screen it initially came up with an error saying it couldn't find a bootable partition not exact error message but something along those lines I then restarted the PC entered the BIOS and put all the clock speeds back to Auto settings and rebooted This time it came up with the 'Windows Vista has encountered an error due to a hardware change' and then gave me the option to enter Safe Mode or start Windows normally I tried both options and in each case the PC restarts and at the point when the Microsoft progress bar would normally appear the PC beeps once and then restarts automatically This continuously loops if I let it I've researched around the web tonight and the processor and board are definitely meant to be compatible The BIOS reports the processor temps and voltage in the correct ranges according to the AMD specs so I'm assumming the processor is OK The Vista install was a volume licence edition I am a developer with a MSDN subscription I tried using the install DVD and it wouldn't load either Even it it did I'm in two minds whether to attempt a startup repair in case it gives me no rollback for reverting to the old processor which I've done in the meantime with no problems Not really sure what to do next so any help and advice would be appreciated Thanks in advance Darren quot Hi I posted the above thread in the Hardware Support section and didn't get any replies so I'm wondering if this is maybe more a Vista issue than a hardware one To update today I tried refitting the new CPU and reseting the BIOS to its default settings Vista still wont start and still continues on a recurrsive reboot Is Vista really that temparamental with processor changes I've done a bit of digging and Vista is using amdk sys when it runs successfully using my old processor From what I can tell this is the correct driver for the new one too Or is this a Vista flaky activation changed too much hardware issue then I really will be annoyed Any help would be appreciated thanks Darren

A:Vista wont boot after Athlon 64 Processor upgrade

Vista is a bit temperamental about Hardware changes. It freaked out last time when i needed to repair a damaged DVD drive and booted Vista without one.
See if you can boot Vista again using your old CPU. (Note: For CPU and RAM changes you need to clear the CMOS via the jumper on the motherboard.)
If you can successfully boot back into Vista, un-install the following drivers.
CPU
Disk Drives
IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.

Then turn off your System, add the new CPU back in, clear the CMOS once again and then boot.
Let Vista re-install the drivers at where un-installed if it boots...

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/vista-wont-boot-after-athlon-64-processor-upgrade-300507.html
Relevancy 57.62%

My wife is looking to buy A Windows 7 system and she is looking at the above. I can't remember whether regular 32 bit programs will work on a 64 bit cpu. I assume Windows 7 will be 64 bit though.
Thanks.

A:Acer Ferrari One AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor

Hi Bertie!

Quote:
Most programs designed for a computer running a 32-bit version of Windows will work on a computer running 64-bit versions of Windows. Notable exceptions are many antivirus programs, and some hardware drivers.

Drivers designed for 32-bit versions of Windows do not work on computers running a 64-bit version of Windows. If you're trying to install a printer or other device that only has 32-bit drivers available, it won't work correctly on a 64-bit version of Windows.

From Microsoft 32-Bit and 64-Bit FAQ

Thanks,
ZeshanA
If a user helps you, clcik the scales at the top right of their post and click "I Approve"!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/38744-acer-ferrari-one-amd-athlon-64-x2-dual-core-processor.html
Relevancy 56.76%

If anyone has any Ideas on this I would appreciate it greatly.

A:AMD Athlon 2650e, 1.6GHz Processor is running at half speed!

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

What happens if you run a game or a large program? The processor should increase the the max power. Today most processors can idle therefore they don't use max power.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/amd-athlon-2650e-1-6ghz-processor-is-running-at-half-speed-634944.html
Relevancy 56.76%

The Title pretty much explains it for the most part. Its making a noise akin to old-school modems, and seems to coincide with what I do with my mouse most often. Keyboard doesnt seem to generate the sound too much.

It only started this today, i'd wait and call AMD tech support, but if i do, i just may be lacking a moniter when i get to that part

Anyone ever experiance this before? As i said, it jsut started and has never done this before. It really doesnt like it when i use my scroll wheel.

Relevancy 56.76%

Hi there,
I was thinking of upgrading my processor because I believe it is bottle necking my gaming performance. My current computer is composed of an AMD Athlon X2 4200+, 2.2GHz, Nvidia 9600GT 512MB video card, 2 Gigs Dell Ram, 250GB HD, Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 650W ATX12V Power Supply with Three 12V Rails. I was thinking of upgrading to a 5400+ or even a 6000+, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with my motherboard or w/e. If anyone could help me with this, I'd greatly appreciate it. Here is the info from CPU-Z in .htm format.

A:Upgrading my processor (Dell E521, AMD Athlon x2 4200+, 2.2Ghz)

If the dell BIOS allows it, the 5400 would be safest to upgrade to. 6000 and higher and you'll risk blowing up the board. The difference is 2.8 vs 3.0ghz.

I don't think a 600Mhz upgrade will help much. But here is a chart with Quake4: http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/...,1254,1226,1280,1316,1313,1312,1284,1310,1309

Going from 81fps to 95fps. Dell RAM is usually 533 or 667Mhz RAM, if its 533, going to 800Mhz would help a bit. A 9600GT is a fine card... going to a $160 ATI 4850 card would be a bit of a boost, that is faster than the old $600 8800GTX.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-my-processor-dell-e521-amd-athlon-x2-4200-2-2ghz.737424/
Relevancy 56.33%

My son has a which uses a 4X AGP slot, 512mb ram, directx 8.1, ME os, 300watt ps. He cannot play Everquest but can play Medal of Honor and Spearhead on it. He can however play Everquest using the onboard Graphics card which uses the T-Bird chipset integrating a 128-bit AGP Graphics Accelerator but cannot play Medal of Honor using the onboard. Now the really weird thing is I have the same motherboard but with a 1.4 athlon, 256mb and everything I just mentioned same card, etc, and it runs both games fine. We checked the memory and it is fine. We even replaced it just in case. I cannot find any difference in any settings between the 2 computers. What's up? Any suggestions?

A:M810LR motherboard, w/1.3 athlon processor, w/Geoforce2 Mx200 can't play Everquest

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/m810lr-motherboard-w-1-3-athlon-processor-w-geoforce2-mx200-cant-play-everquest.109967/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi everyone I am having a hard time with my laptop after it came back from a repair at the shop i installed win xp pro x and fully updated the whole thing my windows continues to claim that my processor works at a mhz at all times i athlon pro processor issue XP Mobile 64x speed 64 power Win 4000+ management/Cpu AMD am able to launch games Win XP pro 64x Mobile AMD athlon 64 processor 4000+ power management/Cpu speed issue like EVE online and run all my programs but when i try to launch Hellgate London i get the message that i am not meeting the minimun requirements of mhz it then proceeds to the game and i can log in to my account and play BUT the whole thing is in a super accelerated mode can anybody help me with this i already searched microsoft and google for solutions and cant seem to find anything my AMD Power monitor says that i am running mhz as i should be i have tried to change the reg key to mhz instead but this doesnt help i have also tried to install the newest amd drivers i have also tried to install SpeedSwitch to Win XP pro 64x Mobile AMD athlon 64 processor 4000+ power management/Cpu speed issue force my computer into max speed at all times cpu goes slower when its not working please help me if u can i am totally out of ideas here my system is the Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A G laptop Mobile AMD athlon processor ATI radeon mobility x gb ram the power management system is ACPI thx in advance Aron Rohden

A:Win XP pro 64x Mobile AMD athlon 64 processor 4000+ power management/Cpu speed issue

Boot to BIOS, Check the settings there.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/win-xp-pro-64x-mobile-amd-athlon-64-processor-4000-power-management-cpu-speed-issue-195574.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hey guys. I joined today because I'm deciding between two laptops and I thought I could use your help.

The laptop will be used for everyday use for the most part but I also play World of Warcraft. The game recommends at least 1g of RAM but most users suggest more. The Acer has more RAM but only a single processor. Any suggestions?

Toshiba - Satellite Laptop with Intel® Celeron® Processor:

Processor: Intel Celeron

Processor Speed: 2.2GHz

System Bus: 800MHz

Cache Memory: 1MB on die Level 2

System Memory (RAM): 2GB

Type of Memory (RAM): DDR2

Hard Drive Type: SATA (5400 rpm)

Computer Hard Drive Size: 250GB

Acer - Aspire Laptop with AMD Athlon? Single-Core Processor

Processor: AMD Athlon?

Processor Speed: 1.6GHz

System Bus: 667MHz

Cache Memory: 512KB on die Level 2

System Memory (RAM): 3GB

Type of Memory (RAM): DDR2

Hard Drive Type: SATA (5400 rpm)

Computer Hard Drive Size: 160GB

A:Toshiba Laptop with Intel Celeron or Acer with AMD Athlon Single-Core Processor?

both of those computers are pretty slow... and single core. the Toshiba is the better buy but the link is dead so you might be out of luck with that anyways. i don't play wow so i can't tell you what i would recommend for hardware. i will just go ahead and make the suggestion to buy something with a Core2Duo, 2GB RAM and a more high-end onboard video adapter for games. the more dedicated video power the better.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/toshiba-laptop-with-intel-celeron-or-acer-with-amd-athlon-single-core-processor.138726/
Relevancy 54.61%

Greetings Hoping someone can help with reformatting a Dell Inspiron GB RAM 64 Vista 3 Need reformatting Core GHz 1.9 help Dell Dual Premium... RAM; 250 x2 processor; Home Inspiron Athlon a GB 1721; HDD; GB GB HDD Athlon x Dual Core GHz processor Vista Home Premium bit OS Reformatted and clean install of Need help reformatting a Dell Inspiron 1721; 3 GB RAM; 250 GB HDD; Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 1.9 GHz processor; Vista Home Premium... Vista months ago Afterward everything worked perfectly until a couple of Need help reformatting a Dell Inspiron 1721; 3 GB RAM; 250 GB HDD; Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 1.9 GHz processor; Vista Home Premium... weeks ago After automatic updates installed Vista SP suddenly Windows Media Center which I've never used and am not at all familiar with and have no plans to learn it and use it in the future began opening by itself over and over Also a little window popped up on Need help reformatting a Dell Inspiron 1721; 3 GB RAM; 250 GB HDD; Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 1.9 GHz processor; Vista Home Premium... boot up that said something to the effect that my new hardware needed intalled however I have not added any new hardware Have no idea what it was trying to install Also intermittently programs I'm using just exit out even though I have not pressed exit And the mouse intermittently jumps around by itself or won't respond to the touchpad - - it opens programs opens the start menu types gibberish into the 'Start Search' line closes programs opens browsers or browser tabs closes browser tabs etc etc etc Also sometimes an odd looking exit menu appears top left screen in a different resolution than the screen is set at AND sometimes when I'm working all of a sudden the keys won't type but the computer issues a loud beep every time a key is pressed When problems first started I immediately ran system restore No change Tried another date in system restore Still no change Went through all restore points and each time I got the message that the restore was successful however no change Ran CCleaner Ran AVG paid subscription found nothing Ran SuperAntiSpyware paid subscription found nothing Ran MalwaryBytes Anti-Malware paid subscription found nothing Ran Panda Online Scanner paid subscription it found a file that it said it couldn't disinfect the file name was Downloads HC VistaLogo Drv E Encoder x V Setup Silent exe - - tried to find it and delete it but couldn't locate it however similar file names were in the AverMedia folder Don't use AverMedia even though it came with the computer so I uninstalled it Ran Panda scan again and it found nothing this time Started googling and stopped all WMC services and removed every instance of it from startup Ran Trend Micro Housecall found nothing Problems kept escalating At times the computer started beeping very fast and refusing to respond to any commands Suddenly two or three browsers open very quickly all by themselves Periodically the start menu opens and the computer types gibberish that looks like computer speak into the start search command line When WMC opens by itself it preempts everything else so that nothing else works until it's closed out and often after closing it out other programs will not respond to any keyboard or touchpad commands until the unit is restarted Twice the computer has refused to disconnect from the wireless connection when I tried to disconnect Sometimes the space bar has to be pressed several times to work Shortcuts have to be right clicked then click 'open' because when a shortcut is pressed the properties dialog opens instead of the program Once on reboot instead of Vista opening it went to a black screen and quot Vista quot had to be chosen from a list before it would open and a couple of times the computer froze at that screen and wouldn't boot up - had to shut down manually and press F and chose the HDD option to get it to open THEN I uninstalled AVG and purchased AVG and installed and ran it - it's supposed to be better It found and removed se... Read more

A:Need help reformatting a Dell Inspiron 1721; 3 GB RAM; 250 GB HDD; Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 1.9 GHz processor; Vista Home Premium...

Hi Sharon.

If your game then so am I.

All the things you stated sound like a possible infection or operating system corruption due to unknown reasons. Although none, or a questionable one, was found. I am in total agreement with Garmanma. Also the fact that the rootkit scan is disabled in AVG causes me some concern.

Seems you already have a pretty good idea how to format the drive and reinstall your OS and drivers....... But would like to take it one step further in this case though. I would like to have you wipe the entire hard drive to zeroes prior to formatting and installing the OS. This would include what is called the MBR = Master Boot Record, the partition the OS is on as well as the restore partition. Of course this would leave you only the option of reinstalling via the CD. All pre-installed software will be gone for good. Complete restore CDs are usually available from the OEM for a nominal cost.

The only reason I suggest this manner is, 1)The problems you are describing does somewhat resemble infection symptoms. 2)Depending on the possible infection type a simple reformat may not get rid of it. I have also read that it is possible for the restore partition can become infected as well.

The procedures are really pretty easy, the program(s) to wipe the drive to zeroes is free and we will do our best to get you through the whole procedure as painlessly as possible.

Let me know what you decide.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/268394/need-help-reformatting-a-dell-inspiron-1721;-3-gb-ram;-250-gb-hdd;-athlon-64-x2-dual-core-19-ghz-processor;-vista-home-premium-32-bit-os/
Relevancy 51.6%

I am buying a new rig tomorrow, just wanted to see what you thought about it.

I have a choice between a $269 used pentium dual core vs a brand new 299 AMD Athlon? Single-Core Processor LE-1620?

Whats better and how faster is the AMD Athlon? Single-Core Processor LE-1620 vs my pentium III/600MHZ?

A:Pentium Dual core vs AMD Athlon Single-Core Processor LE-1620?

Depends on what the specs are with the Intel dual core and what specs you're getting with the AMD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/pentium-dual-core-vs-amd-athlon-single-core-processor-le-1620.126258/
Relevancy 51.17%

i am looking at an 400 dollar ACER computer with : AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core 255 Processor

Last time i bought a computer PEN4 was king. Dont laugh

Relevancy 48.59%

I am preparing to swap my CPU for an AMD X dual core and add another gig of ram using the exact same Corsair memory x MB DIMMs currently installed in my system see my A8N-E 3000+ X2 for ASUS AMD mobo Athlon 4200+ Athlon swapping 64 - AMD system configuration below I need some direction as info overload has me uncertain about order of the steps to do this as well as a good bit of information from various users of this particular mobo indicating that I am in for a lot of problems which I would prefer to avoid if at all possible The manual that came with the board does not offer the info I need and unfortunately the Forum and the Technical Form pages on the ASUS website will not display due to problems with their website thus restricting vital information from me So I was unable to find help through those avenues and I am currently awaiting a response to an email I sent to the ASUS A8N-E mobo - swapping AMD Athlon 64 3000+ for AMD Athlon X2 4200+ ASUS tech support ASUS A8N-E mobo - swapping AMD Athlon 64 3000+ for AMD Athlon X2 4200+ site I need help by having the following questions answered plus any additional information that can be provided is certainly welcomed Here are my questions I have read numerous complaints that this mobo is not actually designed for the X CPU and that it was just an afterthought since the box has an X sticker on it rather than having it actually printed on the box There are complaints that even with BIO updates etc there are problems with system hang ups and crashes after installing an X CPU Is this board actually designed to run an X processor if the chip set and BIOS are updated as per ASUSs instructions Is there a mobo version of the A N-E that works better than others i e a version vs a version When I was researching this on the ASUS website before purchasing the X CPU I did not find anything the made reference to this being an issue I have read that the AMD processors are limited to being able to access no more than six banks of memory due to limitations in the onboard memory controller even though AMDs website says otherwise I understand that this can result in performance reduction when adding two additional DIMMs as I am planning to do with the two additional MB DIMMs The recommendation I have seen in one forum is to upgrade to two GB DIMMS to get gigs of memory running in dual channel mode to avoid this problem Is this a legitimate problem and if so will the updates for the chip set and BIOS resolve this In researching the ASUS and AMD websites I find that there are at least four updates that need to be installed to get the X to work if in fact it can work The ASUS site instructs me to update the chip set drivers first then flash the BIOS with the most current version which I believe to be Also the AMD website advises that I will need to install the AMD Dual Core Optimizer and the AMD Dual Core Processor Driver version for Windows XP in order for the processor to work or work correctly My question is do I install all of these before swapping the CPU or update the chip set and flash the BIOS first then install the X and then boot up and install the optimizer and dual core driver last Also is the BIOS stable I have seen conflicting reports that say it is and others say it isn t and that the preceding version is best I believe is the preceding version As you can see I am drowning in information overload I don t want to have problems with what should be an upgrade that while not for a novice or amateur isn t rocket science either In the past five years I have built five PCs for myself and my family networked our house built two servers at my office interfaced a Server network with an NT network also at my office and do video editing on the side using Adobe products so I am not clueless where computers are concerned I just need some clear direction from someone or several someones that have been down this road before so I can avoid as many pitfalls as possible Here is my current system configurat... Read more

A:ASUS A8N-E mobo - swapping AMD Athlon 64 3000+ for AMD Athlon X2 4200+

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/asus-a8n-e-mobo-swapping-amd-athlon-64-3000-for-amd-athlon-x2-4200.606639/
Relevancy 48.16%

I just upgraded my mother board chip and ram from a 1.1ghz with sdram to a 1.93Ghz also an athlon with 512 ddr. Do I need to reload windows XP pro? Does windows keep track of that info for some reason or is it just ganna do the same thing it did on the 1.1 but faster having a faster chip and the bus pushing stuff around faster?

A:Upgrading from 1.1 Athlon to a 1.92 Athlon XP2400 need I reload windows?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/upgrading-from-1-1-athlon-to-a-1-92-athlon-xp2400-need-i-reload-windows.179902/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi I was over at a friends house and found out that his computer is FASTER than mine It was faster than my old one but haven t used it since I built my new one so was unaware how fast it is I m baffled why mine is so much slower than his than 2800+ Athlon Athlon 64 2000+ XP FASTER Mine isn t slow his is just freakin fast Mine Ahtlon MB PC Seagate GB rpm w fans total keeping proc at a cool F idle MB RAM used idle x nVidia mb His Athlon XP MB PC GB rpm fans total keeping proc at a toasty F idle MB RAM used idle x nVidia mb He has Panda AntiVirus MS Antispyware Folding Home MSN AIM Motorla connection manager thing and all the XP Pro and SP crap running At my fastest time which is still slower than his I only had MSN and XP Pro and SP crap running and his was still faster His gets bogged down easier though for example now I have Folding Home Outlook WMP IE Word and LimeWire running and his doing that would be a little Athlon XP 2000+ FASTER than Athlon 64 2800+ less responsive than mine but overall his is still faster I didn t run any real tests just observations on programs opening and closing and such Half Life and Garrysmod both load MUCH faster for him and if I minimize them it takes forever to get back but his are instant Why is mine so much slower I can understand the slow hd being a cause for a lot of the slowness but I would think the faster cooler processor faster and plenty available ram would make up for it nbsp

A:Athlon XP 2000+ FASTER than Athlon 64 2800+

many things could cause this..

for example.. if your primary hard drive is on the same ide cable as your cdrom you will see a small amount of extra wait time when accessing files or programs.

have you done anything to enhance the performance on your xp box, has your friend.

You would be surprised at how faster some of the performance tweaks can make your system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/athlon-xp-2000-faster-than-athlon-64-2800.29645/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hello,

I want to buy a new processor but i don't know how to start, or rather what to choose. I picked two suitable processor for my pocket and they are:
CPU AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Socket 939 512K bus 2000 0.09u 1.4V 67W 64bit (1800 MHz) and
CPU AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Socket 939 512K bus 2000 0.13U 1.5V 89W 64bit (2000 MHZ)
The second processor it's cheaper then the first listed.Why?
What's the difference between 0.09 and 0.13 microns tehnology?
Is the power consumption to high(89W - 67W)?

......Many thanks !!!!!!!

A:What's the difference between Athlon 64 1800 Mhz & Athlon 64 2000 Mhz ????

razzvanbot said:

Is the power consumption to high(89W - 67W)?Click to expand...

The power consumption is within acceptable limits.

The faster of those two uses older 0.13micron building process, and is cheaper because of that.If you are on a budget and not overclocking, get the cheaper one, because it is faster.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/whats-the-difference-between-athlon-64-1800-mhz-athlon-64-2000-mhz.72863/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hey there,

my motherboard is a gigabyte GA-7N400 Pro, at start up the screen details my chip as a the Athlon XP 1500 +
It is an athlon XP 2700.

I dunno how to check what the motherboard actually thinks it is. or how to solve this issue

thanks
sssshhhh

Relevancy 45.58%

i have an amd athlon 64 3500+ 2.2 Ghz processor and i want to upgrade my computer before i go to college... i would like the amd x2 processors but my motherboard is a socket 939 therefore there is only one cpu that i can buy, the amd athlon 64 x2 3800+ at 2.2 ghz... what is better - the latter or the amd athlon 64 4000+ at 2.4 ghz... ghz vs x2... thanks...

Relevancy 45.58%

They have the same clock speed, same cache, same interface, and virtually the same performance in benchmarks... (the cores are different, thats it [and only on some models])
So whats the difference justifying the 200-250 Dollar price break????
Also, the Process may be different... is 130 nm or 90 nm better? and why?

Relevancy 45.58%

If i switch from the athlon 3000 to a AMD Athlon 64 X2 will i have to reinstall windows? if so is there any way of avoiding this?

A:Switching from athlon 3000 to AMD Athlon 64 X2

You'll have to change motherboards too as the processors you mention fit in different sockets. Then it is advisable to reload and start from scratch due to different setup/drivers for the motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/switching-from-athlon-3000-to-amd-athlon-64-x2.434078/
Relevancy 43.43%

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 2400?

Is it even possible?

Intel Core 2 Duo 1.83GHz?

Tried overclocking the CPU in the BIOS settings but found nothing. So its not possible to do it that way? any other way

What other things in a PC can you overlock?

A:How do I overclock these? What are the things someone can Overclock?

You are trying to overclock a laptop computer... The bios are very specific and you cannot overclock because of this and other factors. Build your own system, and you may be able to overclock to your hearts content

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-i-overclock-these-what-are-the-things-someone-can-overclock.107353/
Relevancy 43.43%

My specs(also in the spec-thing):
MSI K9N Neo-F V2
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ @ stock speed + Zalman 9700
4 GB(3.325 usable) Kingston DDR2 800 RAM CL5
750 GB Samsung Spinpoint F1 SATA 2 32MB cache
Club 3D Radeon HD 4850
Antec 300 + 2x120mm extra fans and two purple CCFLs
Windows XP Pro SP2
OCZ StealthXtream 600W

Okay. I just installed a Zalman aftermarket CPU cooler and I think my temps are quite low now. Are the Athlon 64 X2s worth overclocking? I think it (and my RAM?) are bottlenecking my Radeon, let's say 10-25%. Right?

So, would it be worth OCing the CPU to the top it can handle without changing voltages?

Relevancy 42.14%

They both have the same clock speed, same amount of L2 cache, and for the most part, match up in most benchmarks that i see...

What is the difference between an Athlon 64 FX-53 and an Athlon 64 4000+

A:Athlon 64 FX-53 vs Athlon 64 4000+

Mainly, the price. The 4000+ is a newer chip if it is the San Diego. The FX-53 will have unlocked multipliers but to be truthful I'd rather have the 4000+ San Diego than the FX-53.

The older 4000+ was 130 nm technology while the newer one is 90 nm tech. 90 nm runs cooler on less vcore and has SSE3 instructions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/athlon-64-fx-53-vs-athlon-64-4000.426239/
Relevancy 42.14%

Is there a difference between the 2....Athlon and Athlon XP..or are the same thing

Relevancy 38.7%

So i got this message after i upgraded my Asus Notebook to Windows Home from What got me to check this was having my laptop Hard Shutdown when the power was at and the laptop had been on the charger all day plus the CPU temperature was normal The exact Error that s provided via Event Viewer Collaborative processor power controls on processor in group are disabled due to a firmware problem Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware This message is provided for each of my Processor Cores Unfortunately there are no new Firmware Updates for my laptop model from Asus Last Collaborative are for Power Processor Controls disabled Processor upgrade after one was pushed in October Very odd seeing as Collaborative Processor Power Controls for Processor are disabled after upgrade i got this new in December I want to know if this is something serious or if i should just ignore it An Collaborative Processor Power Controls for Processor are disabled after upgrade error having to due with Kernel Level Power Controls seems serious to me System Info Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home bit Processor Intel R Core TM i - HQ CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics Mb NOTE my laptop has an Nvidia GeForce m Chip as well but it did not detect that for some reason Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC N JN Antivirus Windows Defender Disabled Have not had time to get antiviral software yet So is there Collaborative Processor Power Controls for Processor are disabled after upgrade anything i can do or do i just have to wait and see if Asus pushes out an update thanks in advance nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/collaborative-processor-power-controls-for-processor-are-disabled-after-upgrade.1152536/
Relevancy 38.7%

So i got this message after i upgraded my Asus Notebook to Windows Home from What got me to check this was having my laptop Hard Shutdown when the power for Power disabled Collaborative Processor Controls after upgrade are Processor was at and the laptop had been on the charger all day plus the CPU temperature was normal I went into event viewer to see if there was any ACPI Collaborative Processor Power Controls for Processor are disabled after upgrade error's listed and this came up The exact Error that's provided via Event Viewer Collaborative processor power controls on processor in group are disabled due to a firmware problem Check with the computer manufacturer for updated firmware This message is provided for each of my Processor Cores Unfortunately there are no new Firmware Updates for my laptop model from Asus Last one was pushed in October Very odd seeing as i got this new in December I want to know if this is something serious or if i should just ignore it An error having to due with Kernel Level Power Controls seems serious to me System Info Asustek N JN-MH Notebook Processor Intel R Core TM i - HQ CPU GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Core Thread Ram GB MB Video Intel Onboard MB Nvidia GeForce m OS Windows Home Upgraded from Windows So is there anything that i can do or do i just have to wait for asus to publish a new Firmware Update even though it's probably likely they won't Thanks in advance guys

A:Collaborative Processor Power Controls for Processor are disabled after upgrade

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

See if this finds any new drivers:

Intel? Driver Update Utility

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f338/collaborative-processor-power-controls-for-processor-are-disabled-after-upgrade-1025010.html
Relevancy 37.84%

Quad processors are darn expensive You can have a hand in helping me build my new laptop Speed is a priority when I use my computer for PLEASURE I can deal with an occasional slowdown When I use my computer for a WORK or a SCHOOL project and I experience a slowdown I feel like breaking bodies or punching a hole in the wall I m buying a new laptop I ll be using it primarily for work and school I d say quad a buy I Decision processor? or time: should a processor duo of the time that I use the laptop it will be used for serious - business stuff primarily work and school That s why when I customize my new laptop I m going Decision time: should I buy a quad processor or a duo processor? to customize it with gigs of RAM and a quad core processor to have as much speed as possible and as high a flow rate as possible Is that a good build strategy My work school laptop will gt be used for heavy Internet duty gt be used heavily for programs like Dreamweaver Photoshop and Flash gt i will not be using it for computer games but note if i have to sell the laptop on Craigslist in a year or two I d like this laptop to appeal to gamers so I can sell it quicker faster gt i don t have a lot of disposable income The quad processor costs a few hundred dollars more Since I ll be using my Decision time: should I buy a quad processor or a duo processor? computer for work and school and since I might be making more money a year from now If I have to and with your advice I ll pay the extra cost nbsp

Relevancy 37.84%

I need to order a new desktop for my office to replace a 3 year old machine that runs at 3.2 Ghz. The new machines that Dell offers only has this option:

Intel® Core™2 Extreme QX6700 (8MB L2 Cache,2.66GHz,1066 FSB)

I don't think there is a standard measuring stick that is used to compare all the processor speeds that I can find or understand. I work with CAD programs that use up a lot of resources and I typically get the fastest available and max the RAM. With all the latest software that I have to install, I need the new machines to run faster than the ones they replace.

Can anyone tell me how this 2.66GHz processor compares to my current machine? I don't have the exact specs for it, this is what it lists on the dell support site for my system - PROCESSOR, 80532K, 3.2GHZ, 1M, 533, M0.