Windows Support Forum

faulty SATA drive

Q: faulty SATA drive

A while back I bought SATA drive faulty a GB SATA drive to compliment the GB ATA drive I already had As soon as I plugged it in there were problems It was a while ago so I can t remember all problems but I eventually got it to the point I could access and install things on it but it seemed to crash a lot so I just abandoned it Now I d like to get it going properly if possible When it quot crashes quot it makes a loud clicking noise and the whole PC freezes Sometimes this goes into an unending loop CLICK then mouse faulty SATA drive freezes then other faulty SATA drive noises then mouse is free again and eventually freezes the PC completely rendering the PC inoperable and forcing me to press the reset button I really hate doing that I have tried to format the drive several times and tried both of the motherboard sata slots to no avail Does anyone know what the problem is or might be If you think it s broken then at least I will know not to rely on it thanks in advance Chris EDIT SATA Raid drivers were installed nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: faulty SATA drive

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: faulty SATA drive

The drive could be bad but regardless, it sounds like you didn't install any SATA/RAID controller drivers. Is this Windows XP? Go to your motherboard's website and download and install the drivers. Also, make sure the SATA controllers are enabled in the BIOS. They usually are by default but it can't hurt to check.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/faulty-sata-drive.87810/
Relevancy 73.1%

I had purchased a Seagate SATA GB some months back It died within months It was in warranty so i got a replacement The replacement HD looked brand Hard Solved: New Drive: Faulty? Sata new and packed in an antistatic bag Today i took out the hard drive and connected it to my PC On starting the PC it started to give a strange spinning noise and i could hear faint clicks I checked in the BIOS It took sometime before i could Solved: New Sata Hard Drive: Faulty? get into the BIOS the red HD led was on constantly like it happens with a bad HD After a delay i got into BIOS but the HD was not detected in the BIOS I checked the connections and tried again Again not detected in Solved: New Sata Hard Drive: Faulty? BIOS I had two SATA power connectors and SATA cables I tried all of them Same result I could hear faint clicking and BIOS didnt detect the HD I have SATA ports I started to change ports Two ports didnt work Then on rd port I was able to get into BIOS without any delay and without the constant HD led glowing And there was no clicking sound and the HD was detected in the BIOS I shut down checked again It was detected again Then i did diagnostic check on the HD with the seagate tools CD It passed both the short and long tests When i did the acoustic test two times both the time drive spins and it makes a faint click at the last Now am confused should i keep this HD or should i take it for replacement again I could hear faint clicking first and no detection of the drive when i tried earlier few times But after that the HD was detected and ran fine without any clicks and it even passed the tests Is the HD faulty nbsp

Relevancy 51.17%

Hello, Ive just put a second hard-drive in my pc for storage. It works fine apart from it keeps dissapearing from My Computer & I have to reboot to get it to appear in the drive list.
Also Ive tried to find it in disc management & disc management wont load & just gives me this error 'Unable to connect to logical disc manager service' and 'the dependancy service or group faled to start'

Also compmanagement keeps freezing up when I ask to look at removeable storage.

Ive looked in the event log & about an hour ago I had this log ' An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.'

Do you think the hard drive may be faulty?

Relevancy 50.74%

I want to transfer data from my hard drive in my laptop (Lenovo Y480) to a hard drive in my desktop. the cables for the sata adapter do not fit the hard drive from the laptop. Is there a different form for a 2.5 hard drive and a 3.5 hard drive?

A:sata to usb adapter cable dosen't fit sata hard drive in laptop?

Does the drive have an adapter need to remove to expose the SATA conenctors? I don;t see anything about the Y480 not having a standard SATA drive and laptop and desktop SATA connectors are the same.

Maybe post pictures of both the drive and your SATA cables.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-to-usb-adapter-cable-dosent-fit-sata-hard-drive-in-laptop.1136877/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi, hopefully should be straight forward enough...

I have just bought one of these space saving Acer Revos which does not come with an Optical drive.

I have a Blu-ray reader (dvd writer) which is SATA, but the Revo only has USB or eSATA.
So... i was wondering what is needed to get this (SATA) drive to work via eSATA or usb?

Is it as simple as a SATA to eSATA cable or will this not give the necessary power to the drive?

Or do i need an eSATA enclosure, and if so what size for an optical drive 5.2?

Cheers for any help.

A:New PC with no optical drive or SATA connection (can i use a SATA drive in it?)

Ya no problem use it. For more details contact us at www.sacatech.com

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-pc-with-no-optical-drive-or-sata-connection-can-i-use-a-sata-drive-in-it.977131/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi i m of SATA onto Drive Problems Windows recognized. XP SATA Installation not HD. new to this site but very familiar with technology i built this machine myself im currently running off my old HD but i want to reinstall windows onto my new SATA hardrive GB this one is an IDE The BIOS and Nvidia Raid config recognize the drive but the Installation Problems of Windows XP onto SATA HD. SATA Drive not recognized. windows installation does not I was reading this thread on this site that i foudn from google http forums techguy org hardware -bios-windows-do-not-recognize html because he has the same MB as myself but different hard drives I am currently in the process of trying what he did but i do not have a floppy drive I only have a CD drive and a GB floppy drive i m going to try these routes first for the configuartion software but if not im going to see if i can find one laying around IF i cant find one and the CD flash drive don t work is there another way to try the methods described in the previous web link Hard Drives are Western Digital Caviar nbsp

A:Installation Problems of Windows XP onto SATA HD. SATA Drive not recognized.

Most newerBIOS allow an Alternate method for SATA . . Go into the bios and check the "Sata Operation" setting, change it to "Raid Autodetect/ATA if it is not already. Now try to install XP ( Verbage will vary by manufacturer )

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/installation-problems-of-windows-xp-onto-sata-hd-sata-drive-not-recognized.773644/
Relevancy 50.31%

I'm wanting to upgrade to a better mainboard. I don't know much about SATA, but I've been using a SATA I hard drive very successfully through a pci controller card.

My question: If I get a new motherboard with SATA II headers, will it readily accept my SATA I hard drive? I can see how the reverse might not work, that is, not being able to connect a SATA II hard drive in a SATA I header, but maybe I'm wrong on that...?

A:Will SATA II mobo headers accept SATA I drive?

Yes, sata 3gb/s ports(commonly called sata II), are designed to be backward compatible. I'm using a sata I hd on my sata 3gb/s port on my chaintech vnf4/ultra, so yeah, it works.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/will-sata-ii-mobo-headers-accept-sata-i-drive.44848/
Relevancy 50.31%

The time has come for me to wipe the hard drive and re-install Windows following a recent to SATA Disk 3 Drive Hard Upgrading from SATA disastrous download that's effectively knocked out my Internet Explorer and Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive rendered Internet browsing difficult My system has since become unstable and progressively slow and unfortunately for some reason I am unable to Restore to any previous installation As I have loads of files I want to access I've decided get a new Hard Disk and run the original H drive if possible from a SATA drive Docking Station So essentially I would like to know if my Dell DXC will run and support a new Seagate Tb SATA rpm Barracuda My BIOS is Ver dated I have opened the CPU to see Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive that the current drive connectors appear similar to those Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive on the SATA Docking Station and think my old drive will fit it However it's now occurred to me that its possible the newSATA drive may not be compatible with my BIOS or Motherboard Any help or comments please Incidentally I have most of my most useful files backed up on an external drive so all hopefully is not lost

A:Upgrading Hard Disk from SATA to SATA 3 Drive

You need a SATA3 port to connect a SATA3 HDD to be fully compatible.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/318314-upgrading-hard-disk-sata-sata-3-drive.html
Relevancy 50.31%

I have 2 IDE HDs installed and added SATA drive lately. SATA runs in IDE mode in CMOS. Problem is, even though SATA drive is recognized by BIOS, Disk Manager, Norton Ghost & System Works, it doesn't show in My Computer, causing problems with saving and opening files. Tried a couple of tricks (changing the drive letter,disconnecting & reconnecting the drive, reformatting etc. ) nothing seems to work. I use this SATA drive for storage and for now I have to drag the files down there manually.
I don't know if it's of any importance, but I have nVidia GeForce graphics card onboard.
Has anyone encountered this kind of a problem ?
Thanks Carl

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/sata-ide-hard-drives-no-sata-drive-in-my-computer-223799.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Kit Dell quot Latitude quot CP Laptop Problem Having found that the CD-Rom drive was not responding to commands but was shown in WIN se Device Manager but no CD Controller it was decided to reformat and re-install WIN Sequence of events on clean install Drive? Faulty CD-ROM attempt Boot from WIN Recovery disk Fdisk OK with single partition activated on GB HDD Partition formatted OK w - system files Re-boot from FDD selected quot Start w Faulty CD-ROM Drive? o CD ROM support quot Created WIN directory on C drive WIN CD in Drive Changed to drive E CD drive - D is now ramdisk Message quot Drive E not ready quot Tried this several times with same result each time As the CD-Rom D drive would never recognise when a disk was present with the original OS when the system was operating OK in all other respects and is still not doing so I believe that the drive is faulty It is seen as being in the bay by BIOS but that is all I have cleaned the drive and connectors within and without the CD caddy itself and made sure it was properly seated The FDD operates from within the drive bay no problem but is mounted externally from the parallel port during the attempted re-install with the CD drive in the bay The drive is a Toshiba XM- B which Dell say needs no additional drivers these being provided by the OS Do I have a faulty CD drive or is there another real possibility nbsp

Relevancy 49.45%

Hey everyone, my cd-rom drive isn't working very good. When I put in a disk, it usually can't tell that there's a disk in it. And when i go to My Computer and double click on it, it says: "please insert a disk into drive: E" even when there is a disk in. When I put in a certain cd and then double click on drive E it will work (sometimes). I don't know what's wrong, do you think it's broken or the driver is just messed up? The driver I have right now is (the one it lists in device manager): CREATIVE CD5233E-N
Can anyone help?

Relevancy 49.45%

i have a dell inspiron 1300. it had roxio and nero installed on it. i used the roxio to burn cd's until recently. the drive seems to have gone bad. i cannot burn a cd using it. i have uninstalled both roxio and nero to no avail. all that shows when a disc dvd or cd is blank. what can i do?

A:faulty cd drive

Pertinent error messages received when trying to use the drive?

You properly uninstalled both Roxio and Nero?

Did you try any other burn apps...e.g., Imgburn?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/387000/faulty-cd-drive/
Relevancy 49.45%

My CD/DVD drive is faulty. If I start up my computer from off, it works perfectly with the first CD. When I eject and try a second CD, that's when I get problems. It does nothing. I can't use the eject button on the drive itself, but I can use eject by right clicking DVD drive in My Computer. According to Device Manager, everything is working fine, and I have the latest drivers installed. It is an HP DVD-RAM UJ8DB. When I insert my 2nd CD, it whirrs for a few seconds then silence. Occasionally, repeated ejections and insertions yields a working drive, but it can take a while. So I know it works. Any help would be much appreciated!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Faulty-DVD-drive/td-p/5700137
Relevancy 49.45%

Just wondering if anyone can help me out here. I have just bought a new PC, this is what I ordered:Acer Aspire XC-605 G3220 6GB 500GB DVDRW Tower Windows 8.1 DesktopNow, am I right in thinking that the DVDRW means that it is DVD writer?The only thing is, I've tried burning something using Nero and it just keeps stating "Insert disc". I've tried using a CD-R and a DVD+R disc which is what I've always used in the past.Now on checking Device Manager the Drive property states this next to the Device type:DVD/CD-ROM drivesand states:HL-DT-ST DVDROM DH50Nunder the DVD/CD Rom drives.Have I been sent the wrong thing? Or is there something I'm missing?Thanks for any help.

A:Is my DVD drive Faulty?

you can find id it's a burner with nero too, just run nero info tool. by the way, it looks as reader only. can you post the ID of your Aspire? something like thatDT.SRPSG.003 it must be the first part of your serial (DON'T POST the complete serial!!!)

http://community.acer.com/t5/Veriton/Is-my-DVD-drive-Faulty/td-p/314728/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 49.45%

This is what happens After a few hours of operation svchost exe crashes Doesn't matter what I'm doing Gaming surfing you name it Faulting module svchost exe version faulting module unknown version faulty address x A few seconds will pass as I accept and my theme will change from the start blue one to the old grey one in a few seconds and then reset to the standard XP one Here's what I know so far When this happens crashes it takes faulty randomly, Svchost.exe no address, faulty module crashes no Windows Audio and a few other services with it which I have to start again using Run services msc I know which instance contains the Windows Audio Svchost.exe crashes randomly, no faulty address, no faulty module service so the problem is Svchost.exe crashes randomly, no faulty address, no faulty module most likely with one of the services hosted within that particular instance of Svchost.exe crashes randomly, no faulty address, no faulty module svchost I'm a bit lost though I don't know what to do because it doesn't give me an address it doesn't tell me which service is messing up so I need some help I have the windows error log and a decent recollection of what has happened since that error started I got a new X-fi sound card a Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum Fatal ty Champion The errors coincide with me installing that card but I can't see how that would mess up like this though http img imageshack us my php image errorspx jpg I don't know if I'm totally off the mark here but is it fair to assume that it is only ONE instance of svchost crashing The screenshot above shows the svchost hosting the services that go down after the crash I have a saved version of the program error log Right click on This Computer administrate System tools Log Program I have searched far and wide on the internet and tried all kinds of solutions Others have had this problem and it has been linked with the quot Automatic Updates quot service but that did nothing for me whether deleted the whole Windows Update service and re-registered the DLLs in short even though I replaced the Windows Update service and everything related to it with fresh copies generated by Windows itself Another related problem I found was the same message and the same symptom svchost crashing some time after a bootup There was a hotfix for this but I'm already using Windows XP Pro with Service Pack which contains this update and others addressing such issues And I have zero malware on this computer Am I looking at a faulty product here Damaged ram Lastly I have a copy of my error log containing about months before this error started http www megaupload com d DVZTRVWR Any help appreciated I'm going mad just from not knowing where exactly the problem lies

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/svchost-exe-crashes-randomly-no-faulty-address-no-faulty-module-370951.html
Relevancy 49.45%

I solved a similar problem in Win 7 by uninstalling an Advanced "6G" Storage Controller and letting Windows install its generic driver but I have no idea what to do in Win 10 because of the dumbed down way everything behind the scenes is displayed, which appears not to have anything remotely resembling such a thing.
Anyone else having similar issues? Or am I doomed with my now-almost-extinct 2009 Alienware machine?

A:W10 Recognizes My External SATA II Drive As SATA I - Why ?

Originally Posted by Ex_Brit

I solved a similar problem in Win 7 by uninstalling an Advanced "6G" Storage Controller and letting Windows install its generic driver but I have no idea what to do in Win 10 because of the dumbed down way everything behind the scenes is displayed, which appears not to have anything remotely resembling such a thing.
Anyone else having similar issues? Or am I doomed with my now-almost-extinct 2009 Alienware machine?

A few questions come to mind: is the drive plugged into a eSATA port on the computer and its cable rated as SATA II? Or is it in an External USB drive case that is plugged into a USB 2.0 port or maybe a USB 3.0 port?

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/53036-w10-recognizes-my-external-sata-ii-drive-sata-i-why.html
Relevancy 49.45%

Perhaps not a question for sevenforums but I'd figure you guys would either have the answer or be able to direct me to the answer I purchased a Silicon SiI SATA Raid Controller purely to have extra SATA ports which I am using to connect to my case's external drive bays I have flashed the bios of the controller and updated the driver to put it in quot Base quot mode so it is not using RAID I did extensive research on this and it appears that I have this part right Controller? SATA on SATA-II Drive Raid For now I am trying to connect a WD BEVT quot SATA-II hard drive to one of these ports and am having some difficulty I can see the drive but when I try to format the drive in Windows or a command prompt using the windows recovery DVD it hangs I am wondering if this is a compatibility issue with a SATA-II drive on a SATA-I controller however most of the forums I have read state that if there is a compatibility SATA-II Drive on SATA Raid Controller? issue the controller won't even recognize the drive I searched around to see if there was a way to force the HDD SATA-II Drive on SATA Raid Controller? to SATA but the jumpers on this drive are for SSC and RPS Is there a way to fix this or do I need a drive that is capable of forcing SATA-I speeds Perhaps even a controller capable of at least SATA-II since that is the minimum of all new HDDs

A:SATA-II Drive on SATA Raid Controller?

SATA II drives are typically not backwards compatible with SATA I ports, especially on add-in cards UNLESS they have what is called "autospeed negotiation". This determines the max speed of the drive and tells it to compensate if it's too high (use SATA 1 vs 2). Unless there is a jumper on your drive, which it doesn't sound like there is, then the add-in card does not have autospeed negotiation. This is taken from Problems encountered installing SATA 3.0 Gb/s hard drives on SATA 1.5 Gb/s controllers.

I suggest finding an addin card that supports SATA II like this card: Newegg.com - Rosewill RC-211 Silicon Image 2 port SATA II PCI Express Host Controller Card(RAID 0/1/JBOD)

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/161851-sata-ii-drive-sata-raid-controller.html
Relevancy 49.45%

New build...installed XP Pro and used F6 to install proper drivers from Mobo CD...How can I tell if it's running at SATA 2 speed...3 Gig xfer rate...all device manager says is
UDMA5...

A:How can I tell if my SATA drive is running at SATA 2 speed?

http://www23.tomshardware.com/storage.html?modelx=33&model1=117&model2=676&chart=31

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-can-i-tell-if-my-sata-drive-is-running-at-sata-2-speed.578001/
Relevancy 49.02%

I believe drivers? faulty BSOD 116 card or graphics faulty the initial crash was caused by overheating Based on the fact that I have gotten it to work for a short amount of time more on that later Booting up with the drivers for my graphics card enabled causes BSOD to appear but when it is disabled everything is fine I can boot into safe mode and I have already reinstalled windows My motherboard is Asus B M-e and my graphics card is Nvidia EV A GTX How I got it to work for a short amount of time I reinstalled windows and then installed my integrated Ethernet driver After that was out of the way I installed and used driver booster to install the rest of my drivers I then noticed there was a missing driver that the program could not install that was named Simple PCI Controller So I thought I should install that driver using my motherboard's driver installation disk It then worked up until I decided to change the settings in Nvidia Control panel I also do not know how faulty graphics cards behave so it might be my graphics card The game I was playing when this started was Life is Strange if that is needed

A:BSOD 116 faulty graphics card or faulty drivers?

Sorry thought I uploaded this but apparently not.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/398657-bsod-116-faulty-graphics-card-faulty-drivers.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Sorry card? Solved: Faulty graphics Or motherboard? faulty that this is quite long but I want to give complete details as to the problem rather than just giving a vague problem Nvidia GT card has been overclocked for the last year Original Stable OC Before Solved: Faulty graphics card? Or faulty motherboard? you panic Solved: Faulty graphics card? Or faulty motherboard? it s been stable and temps have been fine lt My motherboard is a Asus P N-E SLI board The computer is dual boot to Vista for general use and XP x for games ONLY XP IS OVERCLOCKED Vista is not overclocked at all Only the GPU is overclocked in the computer Now the problems started when I moved the computer All the games on x crashed unless I underclocked the machine except UT ancient game which garbled the graphics weapon textures on walls etc I found out it was because somehow the card wasn t plugged in properly - so I pushed it back and I was able to play again Since then sometimes the card is alright and other times it isn t The other day I was playing fallout graphics intensive game for around hours without any problems But right now I boot to vista and within a minute it crashes Other times I was programming not even using graphics and the mouse suddenly has a flickering box around it - then the computer crashes When it crashes the screen goes weird colours like its rendered the screen as bit colours rather than bit and shortly after I get a blue screen with it complaining about a graphics DLL At first giving the card a wiggle in the PCI-E slot fixed it Now I ve discovered that when the garbled graphics come up if I physically push the card upwards in the PCI-E slot whilst the PC is still on they go away by this time the computer has crashed amp so I have to reboot anyway It s nothing to do with the drivers I ve reinstalled them on XP and besides the problem happens on both of the OS on the computer Vista seems to be considerably worse though - XP only crashes once in a while whereas Vista seems to be more unstable If you push the card up quickly sometimes Vista quot recovers quot It says quot the display ddriver stopped responding and has recovered quot or something like that You can then use the computer normally If I push the card down when the computer is working fine the computer crashes Any suggestions whether it s the card or the motherboard I removed the card blew dust off it etc put it back into the machine and the problem still happens although it initially solved it I don t want to spend on a new card to find that it s the MB that s the problem I m wondering if the card is fine since it doesn t have an issue with hours of gaming on a good day If it s a lose connection what can I do about it it s fully pushed into the motherboard If you ve read this far thanks nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

Hi,
I recently bought a new, 3rd party power cord for my Toshiba Satellite L300 from eBay.
Recently I've noticed that my battery stops charging earlier and earlier. At first it stopped at 87%, then 83%, then 80% all in one week. I've had the computer for about a year which seems a bit early for it to start degrading so fast, so could it be the power cord?

The Toshiba cord says Model: PA-1750-29, Input: 100-240V~ 50-60Hz 1.5A, Output: 19V[solid line above a dotted line]3.95A
The 3rd party cord says Model: PA-34671ACA, Input: 100-240V~1.5A 50/60Hz, Output: 19V[solid over dotted]3.95A

If the new cord is harmful to my battery, I can just solder its input plug onto the Toshiba charger (that's the only bit that was broken) but I'd rather not risk breaking two power cords if I don't need to.

---------------------------------------
Thanks,
Marlon

Relevancy 49.02%

had this thing for years

two days ago, it started freezing up windows everytime i shoved a disc in the thing.

any opinions? sorry im so vague but its really all i got. I put in ANY disc and then windows, documents, the whole comp either whites out and freezes or asks for more time to respond (where it will continue to sit in frozen status all day long)

can anyone give me something that will help? drivers are updated.

A:faulty CDROM drive

I've edited your post for language as this is a family friendly site. Please be more careful in the future.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-cdrom-drive.981548/
Relevancy 49.02%

Ok, so the other day, my external hard drive fell to the ground and I could not get it to turn back on. I tried again yesterday with no success. I ordered a SATA hard drive enclosure thinking it was just the hardware in my external hard drive that was bad. Well I went and plugged it into a SATA enclosure and all I get is 5 beeps as if its trying but nothing ends up happening....is it possible that the hard drive itself is done??? I have tons and tons of stuff on there that I cannot lose...Any help would be great guys. Thanks!

A:HELP Faulty Hard drive??

It is possible that the fall damaged the hard drive read/write heads, the hardware that positions the heads, and/or possibly the disc surfaces as well. This is particularly true if the drive was powered up at the time of the fall.

If this is true, it will cost you big bucks to have a data recovery company take the drive apart and attempt to recover all or some of data from the the disc platters.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-faulty-hard-drive.1083365/
Relevancy 49.02%

Re-occucuring problem here where my CD ROM Drive Drawer keeps automatically opening. Any ideas would be most helpful.

AMD Athlon 2500+
ASUS Motherboard
Windows XP Home SP3

A:Faulty CD ROM Drive Drawer

try this:
Open Task Manager, Processes tab, locate and kill the open_cd.exe process
Do a search on your system for the above file and delete it, if the file is located within its own folder have a look in the folder and also delete readme.htm too.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-cd-rom-drive-drawer.841462/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi, i've recently bought a seagate momentus 7200.3 from ebay and when i try to copy my hard drive to it using norton ghost, i'm getting the error EC8F17B3.

"Cannot complete copying of (C:\) drive. Error EC8F0409: Cannot copy source drive to destination location. Warning A7C30019: The type of errors encountered indicate that this hard disk drive is about to fail. It is recommended that this drive be replaced soon. To ignore this error and backup this drive, select "Ignore bad sectors during copy" from the advanced options in the Drive Backup Wizard. Error E7C3000F: Device \\?\SymantecSnapshot0 cannot read 12288 sectors starting at LBA 174724072. Error EBAB03F1: Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
Details: 0xA7C30019"

Just wondering what this means and if theres anyway around it? Problem with the drive maybe? Also i've been running the copy and selecting "Ignore bad sectors during copy".

Regards, Dave.

A:Faulty hard drive?

Sounds like a bad drive.

Free Hard Drive Testing Applications:

Manufacturer's Tests
Victoria for DOS
Victoria for Windows (Both versions of Victoria are among the best and most thorough tests available.)
HD Tune
CheckDisk 1.03 (Marks bad sectors as unusable.)
HDAT2 (Diagnostics and bad sector recovery)
MHDD Low-level Diagnostics
Bootable Hitachi Drive Fitness Test Floppy or CD Image (works on most drives)

Hard Drive Manufacturers' Diagnostic Utilities Links:

TachTech
BleepingComputer

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-hard-drive.809735/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hi I ve a Fujitsu MHR AT hard drive in a Samsung P laptop it s re-badged as an RM Professional P but I don t think that should be relevant here The drive is very noisy but only intermittently This can happen when the laptop is being used or when it s just doing nothing On checking Task Manager I can t find anything running that would cause the drive to be accessed Ordinarily I d assume the drive was failing but I ve a couple of these drives I recently bought a replacement an used one off Ebay and that was no better The seller was very apologetic and immediately sent me a replacement which guess what was pretty much the same This was cheap so not even worth sending back Now I find it hard to believe though it s still possible that all four are duff drives So I went looking for some disc diagnostic software on the net I tried a couple including SeaTools for Windows but the only one that ran properly was DiscCheckup from PassMark I ve been using that running short and extended self tests but it doesn t highlight any problems I m intrigued that the disc apparently runs when I wouldn t be expecting it to be doing anything Device Manager tells me its using a Microsoft driver dated Would a Fujitsu driver help I ve tried to update but couldn t find anything newer Anyone any ideas apart from throw all the drives away nbsp hard drive(s) Faulty

Relevancy 49.02%

I have recently bought a brand new Western Digital Caviar Green TB hard drive and have had no end of trouble Faulty Is My New Drive Hard with it since the moment I installed it The initial problems were the hard drive which is being used as a slave not being detected by XP every time necessitating repeated re-boots until it showed up After that it started prompting a check disk on boot-up Is My New Hard Drive Faulty which on one occasion found problems with some file record segments and had to recover files The next check disk after that showed no bad sectors After that event my PC became unable to boot windows at all stopping on a black screen just before the desktop should have appeared necessitating more repeated re-boots until the PC started sometimes showing the new Is My New Hard Drive Faulty drive successfully and sometimes not I ran the Western Digital Lifeguard Diagnostic program and my hard drive passed After working fine for two days the hard drive started playing up again going through the previous antics but this time appearing in My Computer as a hard drive but no reported size Upon re-boot it would prompt a check disk then find a corrupt Master File table and then abort At this point my new hard drive is completely useless and inaccessible I tried using TestDisk to repair the problem but the back-up mirror file was also corrupt I have managed to salvage some files from it using the Zero Assumption Recovery program which took nearly hours to complete its scan and verification but the question still remains Is my new hard drive faulty I have no idea if this behaviour is indicative of a faulty hard drive or if it could be something else I ve never had any problems such as this in all the years I have owned computers My PC is running XP with SP and the motherboard is an Asus P P SE The new hard drive is being used as a slave drive for storing files and has no operating system on it Thanks in advance for any advice nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

Hi I hope someone can help me out here I built my own pc a few weeks ago everything is fine UNTIL NOW - My main hard drive is a western digital caviar GB special edition MB cache and the computer boots from this problem is a couple of days ago when i press the buttons to start the computer everything fires up fine apart from the hard drive It seems to go really slow scratching louder than normal and seems to only scratch twice a second funny thing is it still boots but really really slowly Is this a faulty hard drive or a power start up Faulty????? hard drive my Is problem All i Is my hard drive Faulty????? do is switch on Is my hard drive Faulty????? at the mains then switch the pc on Last time it happened i let it startup then shut it down and started up again and it was fine This time i just pulled the plug and started again and it was fine Whats up with my poor hard drive I have it in a caddy fixed into one of the inch drive bays this caddy has two built in fans and one of them makes a noise when i first start it could this fan have something to do with it such as vibration or something Help Thanks Ade nbsp

Relevancy 49.02%

hi there, right basicaly i have a 40gb hdd which i store all my music on, one minute this drive was fine, the next i rebooted and the drive woudlnt work during post the comp picks up an ide drive on master, and even loads the drives name etc but the system just seems 2 hang then. any ideas what courses this? ive tried the drive in 3 other systems with exactly the same symptoms so i dont think its a hardware conflict. ive got a new hdd now but what i am keen to do is to access the drive and copy the files from it as there is approx 35gb of music on there

if you require anymore info ill try to provide it

thanks in advance, russ

A:Faulty Hard-Drive?

Put the drive in a freezer bag and chill it right down for an hour , then try again.

Sometimes works, and if it does then extract everything you can. It may be your only access chance.

If nothing else, you perhaps realise now that a HDD is only temporary storage, and must be backed up. They are cheaper these days but the quality and longevity has not improved.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-hard-drive.209812/
Relevancy 49.02%

For the last few weeks I have had some issues with my PC I built myself a couple of years ago. The main thing is that if I let my PC sit for 10-15 minutes, when I come back to log back in, my display gets huuuge to the lowest resolution, and I usually get a "parser error message saying "value creation failed at line 422 or line 903". What is all this? Also, the computer has been running a lot slower that it used to, Photoshop will freeze, defragging will leave half the drive still fragmented, so just a bunch of annoying problems that only a restart seems to fix. Please advise, thank you all.

Relevancy 49.02%

Hello I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I'm running Drive Hard Faulty out of options I'm very lost as to how to contact hp support about my issue I went through the support page and searched my product Faulty Hard Drive and got to the 'Contact Options' Faulty Hard Drive page However there was no contact options available to me just a confirmation that my product is still under warranty until it's expiration date I opened a support case in a commercial product section I thought it was a personal product section for some reason and got an email back saying to ring customer support I rang the customer support number and followed through to the correct line which said that I need to open a customer support ticket before calling I'm not sure where to go from here I was using my laptop with a few programs open Disk was at when windows crashed No error message opened but windows Explorer start menu and taskbar were all unresponsive I restarted and the laptop was unable to boot windows I could reach the login lockscreen but once I entered my password it was stuck at a login loop I booted into safe mode to attempt to uninstall recently installed programs to see if that would fix the issue It would boot into the desktop however Windows Explorer was again unresponsive I tried window r to reach msconfig to configure a clean startup but that failed to load Task manager failed to open as well as the start menu I tried restarting a few times as well as removing the battery to drain the capacitors of electricity before booting up Same issues I then ran component tests all of which passed except for the Hard Drive short long DST check which failed Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:Faulty Hard Drive

I will ask a Moderator to escalate your issue. A failed hard disk is covered under warranty. You may be asked to provide the hardawre fail code that the test gave you. I hope you have your recovery media available. You will need the recovery media  to recover the notebook to its factory delivered state.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Faulty-Hard-Drive/td-p/5701435
Relevancy 49.02%

First, the specs. Acer 5315 Laptop with 1.5gbmem CPU @1.86 Intel Celeron. PIONEER DVD-RW DVR K17RS.

Problem. Had virus on laptop. Manage to fix it (barely) with various remedies from RKILL to COMBOFIX. Shortly after, had to remove HD from laptop because it wouldn`t boot up. Obviously not fixed virus problem properly. Put in old 80GB drive and booted XP from that only to find the DVD drive would not read the discs properly and now says all the discs (DVD or CD-R/RW) are 702mb discs and empty when they are not. Even shop bought dvd`s are not read properly. I checked the registry on the hard drive I now have installed and Upper and Lower filters are not present in the registry settings.

Any help would be appreciated.

Screen Grabs attached 2 and 3 show zero population and the request to write files to cd when the disc in question is a full 4.8GB DVD

Relevancy 49.02%

If someone can help me that would be great. Yesterday a work computer only had two applications running and it completely froze up. When we restarted the computer the following message appeared:

"windows could not start because of an error in hte software, please report this problem as: load needed DLL's for Kernel"

We tried repairing Windows XP and then reformatting the system. Nothing seemed to be working. Dell is telling us that we need a new hard drive. The computer is only a year old. Does this make sense or does anyone have a suggestion on how to try and repair?

Thanks,
Kristy

A:Faulty Hard Drive??

From the hard drive's manufacturer's web site, download and run the diagnostic tool.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-hard-drive.228972/
Relevancy 49.02%

I recently acquired a Sandisk gb 'Ultra Fit' flash drive which is one of the small nano styled devices and I'm not really happy with its performance Its the first USB flash drive I've used although I do use a normal USB portable HDD for archiving files What I find is this It runs pretty hot even when in a fresh formatted state and idle It seems to cause the PC to work harder in the above state with the fan running a lot of the time Unplug the drive and it stops File transfer speed is good at around mbs I tried It Could USB Be Flash 3 ? Drive... Faulty to copy a single gb Acronis backup file to the flash drive and Windows reports that there is insufficient space This is with the drive formatted and showing gb USB 3 Flash Drive... Could It Be Faulty ? free The drive was bought from a very well known high street retailer and I've no real doubts on it being fake or anything like that It was all packaged absolutely as you would expect What do you think Would you expect an idle drive to run hot and is there any reason the gb file would not transfer

A:USB 3 Flash Drive... Could It Be Faulty ?

What is the format ? ExFat ? NTFS ? FAT32 ? It sounds like the disk is formatted with FAT32 then it won't take a large file > 4 GB

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/66973-usb-3-flash-drive-could-faulty.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Vista x 64bit

I have three internal drives, C:, D and E.

D and E are used for storing digital image files.

Just now I got an error message saying that the E drive was reporting a problem and I should back up the computer. Since the E drive is backed up daily to an external drive, I ignored this.

Both D and E are 2Tb drives that I had recently installed, so I am a bit surprised at this problem so soon.

Is there any inbuilt diagnostic and repair tool that I could run to check for and repair errors on the E drive ( and the others while I'm at it)?

Thanks.

D.

A:Faulty drive - can I run some sort of diagnostics?

Hello and welcome.

Maybe this will help..

Hard Drive Diagnostics Tools and Utilities (Storage) - TACKtech Corp.

Hard Drive Test - How Do I Test My Hard Drive for Problems - Test Hard Drive

Hard Drive Testing Tools - Top 7 Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics

HD Diagnostic

I hope this helps you...

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/289427-faulty-drive-can-i-run-some-sort-diagnostics.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hey,
Does anyone know how to open up the Vaio VGC-V3S????

Its an all in one system and i cannot see a way to get into it to change the DVD drive (plus wouldnt mind a new graphics card if i can get one to fit!!! lol) which is totally screwed. Done everything from Formatting the system back to day one, new drivers etc etc

Nothin works so ideally i need to get in the damn thing and swap it with a standard laptop style dVD drive

Any one know how to get in the damn things??

Ash

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-dvd-drive-in-sony-vaio-vgc-v3s.568831/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hey everyone!

My DVD drive will not recognize any dvd's OR cd's that I put into it. I had no problems with my drive until a couple days ago after I was using the default windows program to burn files to a blank DVD. However, that operation failed, and my dvd drive never worked after that fact.

I've gone into device manager and have deleted IDE & my DVD drive from my computer and reinstalled and updated them. I've also gone into Computer Management -> Disk Management and my DVD drive is not listed as any volume.

Finally, I've gone into regedit and deleted the upper and lower filters of my dvd rom drive and reinstalled to no avail..

please help! I'm pretty sure the faulty burn is the cause of my DVD drive issue. Any advice will be appreciated!!

-Steve

A:DVD Drive won't recognize DVD's after faulty burn

Is the drive recognized by the BIOS?
Is the drive listed in Device Manager?
Is the drive listed in Drive Management?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-drive-wont-recognize-dvds-after-faulty-burn.1002576/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello I built my PC about two years ago and it runs pretty well I turn it suck drive? Hard does just Faulty really Or XP off a few times a Faulty Hard drive? Or does XP just really suck week and use it every day But recently I have been having problems I turned off my computer before I went to work Came home and turned the computer on When I entered my login password I got some quot Domain could not be found quot error and it took me back to the login page I tried to find a fix for this but was unable to so I gave up I installed a new copy of XP on a different partion of my hard drive I split my hard drive up into two different partions when I built it for an installation of linux which I never got round to installing I ve been using this new copy of windows for about a week but a few days ago I Faulty Hard drive? Or does XP just really suck have been having troubles again I turn on my computer and it comes to the quot select an operating system quot screen If I choose the OS that I was using previously I get to the log in screen and it just tells me that it could not conect to the remote host which is expected since I haven t tried to fix it again since If I choose the NEW OS that I recently installed and press enter then the screen goes dark and then nothing happens I have on several ocassions left it on this screen for a long time without any kind of change But the strange thing is the computer is still on and its being all noisy and computery in terms of how it sounds So my question is Do I have a faulty hard drive By the way I forgot to mention that my computer ever since a few days before the first installation of windows became useless I had been getting the occasional message when I started the computer saying that quot one of my disks needs to be checked for consistency quot After which it would goe through all of this quot checking files quot quot recovering orphaned files quot and quot checking security descriptors quot crap Must I replace the Hard drive nbsp

A:Faulty Hard drive? Or does XP just really suck

You can run diagnostics on the drive to rule out failure:

Depending on the brand:

Samsung http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/support/utilities/Support_HUTIL.html
Seagate/Maxtor/Quantum http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/support/downloads/seatools/
Western Digital http://support.wdc.com/download/
IBM/Hitachi http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT
fujitsu/Seimens http://www.fcpa.fujitsu.com/download/hard-drives/#diagnostic
IBM/Hitachi http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm#DFT

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/faulty-hard-drive-or-does-xp-just-really-suck.741883/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hey everyone So I recently picked up this external hard drive from a friend who Hard Drive, no access. Ext. Faulty was having some issues with it From his first description I thought Faulty Ext. Hard Drive, no access. I would be able to solve it myself but it turns out the problem is way more complex and unknown to me than I had thought Here's what's up -The Hard drive is a standard external one connected to the PC via a standard USB cable One regular USB connector on the PC side and a small one I believe they are refered to as 'mini-USB Type B' on the drive's side -When connected to the PC it shows up like an internal hard drive strangely not with the external devices -It cannot be browsed or accessed in any other way the windows explorer will either load -extremely- slowly without success OR freeze OR simply say it cannot be accessed -The furthest I got in terms of interacting with it was to uninstall and reinstall it via disk manager -All other attempts fail formatting is impossible as a right click leads to the problems described in point I tried to format after uninstalling installing the drive since a message came up telling me to do so eventhough I was planning to do it anyway -The drive brand is completely unknown to me it was purchased in Hong Kong and bears the label 'Buffalo' Any feedback or ideas on this topic are more than welcome Thanks in advance amp looking forward to some help Pluffi

A:Faulty Ext. Hard Drive, no access.

Hi,

Are you able to access this drive from the command prompt? If so, try a chkdsk /R on it and lets see if that improves access.

Regards,
Golden

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/200412-faulty-ext-hard-drive-no-access.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Hello guys,

When I plug in my 80GB External HD USB drive it turns all other devices off etc and doesn't work. Is it faultly?

A:Is my External hard-drive faulty?

What other devices are turned off?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/264751-my-external-hard-drive-faulty.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Windows boots and works fine except for a few occasional blue screens and freezes. But I went to go check out my hard drive today and I noticed a few scorch marks on the chip on the underside. It was on the middle and on the grey metal piece. It was brown a bit. I'm wondering if this may cause problems. I have tried running seatools and it came up with 0 errors.

A:Is my hard drive faulty/broken?

Do you have any idea how long the scorch marks have been there?

In particular, have they been there longer than you have had blue screens?

If the drive passes all Seatools tests and behaves OK in operation, it's difficult to make a case for it being defective.

Have you run a benchmark on the drive?

Barring more info, I'd assume the blue screens and freezes are unrelated.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/241751-my-hard-drive-faulty-broken.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Two times in the last week my monitor (a KDS visual sensations CRT) has come on with the image looking like an hourglass (wide at the top and bottom, pinched in the center). This happened imediately upon boot up and both times rebooting has returned the monitor to normal, leaving the computer running does not bring the problem back. Which is more likely, that my monitor is beginning to fail or maybe my graphics card (a saphire, ATI radeon 7000) is failing? Is there some way (other than swaping my monitor out and trying another as this seems so far to be an intermitent problem and may not arise when a new monitor is conected) to check and see which it may be?

Relevancy 48.16%

OK I have DVD writers one is a Lite-On SHW- SX and the other is another external from I O Magic The problem is with RW media First up DVD RW Sony x ---------------------- I got these Sony DVD RWs and basically the Lite-On can t write to it It gives me an error each time I try even with erasing it in Nero HOWEVER my I O Magic reads writes just fine with it Now here s the weird part If I write files to it with the I O Magic and put the disc in the Lite-On it reads it fine AND if I now try to burn the disc it works too What does this mean Oh yeah it writes fine with DVD-Rs Taiyo Yuden Second up CD-RW TDK Incompatible Drive? Faulty or Media Solved: x ----------------------- Basically same sort of deal If I try putting in media burned with my regular CD burner Lite-On as well it can t read it and basically locks up itself as well as my system and I have to use a pin to quot Solved: Incompatible Media or Faulty Drive? manually quot eject the CD The I O Magic reads the discs just fine Now if I erase the data with any other drive the Lite-On will now read write to it same deal as with the DVD RW discs Weird So does this mean the Lite-On is faulty nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

Hi we ve been having a problem floppy failure, Boot drive? faulty with our pc sometimes about of all bootups approximately it freezes on the very first screen The screen is showing something to do with the graphics processor a logo or brand name or something however we changed the graphics card and this did not fix the problem so perhaps its something to do with the motherboard s own graphics unit The motherboard is an ms- Btw One thing we have noticed is that you can tell when the boot is going to fail because the floppy drive does not make its usual clicking noise which it does on a successfull boot So the question I Boot failure, faulty floppy drive? have for any of you who may know could it be something up with the floppy drive causing the system not to boot up Apart from removing the floppy drive is there anything we could do We have also replaced the Hard drive and that hasn t fixed the problem Thanks for any help Tom nbsp

A:Boot failure, faulty floppy drive?

It would be easiest to change the boot order in the BIOS to the hard drive first with the floppy drive and optical drive after the hard drive. It doesn't matter that much which is second or third. This way it should skip over the floppy and boot from the hard drive. If you still have trouble booting, there may be something wrong with the hard drive. If it's fine, then there might be something wrong with the floppy. You could just disconnect it, remove it or replace it. Your choice.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/boot-failure-faulty-floppy-drive.136382/
Relevancy 48.16%
A:Dell Warranty - Faulty Hard Drive

Good question!

First, what brand is the hard drive? Just about every manufacturer has their own diagnostic software. Go to their site and download it, and test the hard drive yourself.

Then, if you feel you should still send it in, wipe it clean first, using tools such as Eraser.

Hope this helps,
~Jonathan

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/57490-dell-warranty-faulty-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 48.16%

My PC s hard drive recently failed and had to be replaced Thankfully I had a bit of warning as the drive Drive Accessing On Faulty Data Hard had been acting strangely for a while so I d backed up pretty-much everything that s important to me before the failure However there is one email that I received just Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive before the crash and which is very important to me Unfortunately I didn t have time Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive to back this up I would like to Accessing Data On Faulty Hard Drive try to retrieve this email from off of the faulty drive and have read quite widely on the internet that one way of possibly gaining temporary access to a faulty drive is to place the faulty drive in some ziplock bags to exclude moisture and then to deep freeze it afterwhich and once reconnected it just may work for long enough to back up important docs Some say to freeze the drive for hours and some say for at least a week but my question is no matter how long the drive is frozen for does it actually help it to work or is it just a joke with me being so stupid as to believe it I mean surely after re-connection and once the frozen drive begins to warm back up water droplets may form on its suface and circuitry which certainly wouldn t bode well for continued operation when connected to a volt supply When all is said and done I would like to retrieve my lost data but not at the expense of turning my entire PC into toast Let s suppose I keep the freshly frozen drive out of the PC case let s say on an antistatic bag and connect it to its own volt supply and not the same one as used to power the rest of the PC so that the only connection it has to the main board is by means of its SATA cable Would I be likely to do any damage this way Perhaps just worth a mention that when the drive failed it just sat there either making a clicking noise or doing nothing with the PC continually displaying the blue screen of death Ultimately can anyone suggest any better ways of gaining access to data on a faulty drive Any suggestions gratefully received nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

Hi I ve just updated my Win XP PC to Vista All was going well with the installation full clean install until I came to choose which drive to load Vista onto My C drive had a yellow warning triangle next to it and I was informed my hard drive was about to fail Thinking this could be a glitch I chose to install Vista anyway All was going well until a few hours later Vista informed me that the HD was failing and Drive as Vista Hard Faulty!!! Reports I should backup my data This message repeated several times over the next couple of hours Vista Reports Hard Drive as Faulty!!! and eventually I got an option to disable it which I did Now the HD was brand new in Dec and I had no problems what so ever in XP apart from maybe a slow transfer rate a few times when I backed up large quantities of data to my Gb external drive So is this just a software glitch Or should I RMA the drive My System consists of CPU Intel Core Duo E MB Gigabyte GA P-S i P RAM x Gb PC PSU Akasa W GPU GTO Mb HD Gb Samsung SP C SpinPoint P Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

I saw the following post relating to a batch of faulty hard drives and was wondering whether anyone nbsp is able to confirm nbsp the Drive Validity of Posting Faulty Hard validity of this issue nbsp https m reddit com r sysadmin comments x h f hgst Validity of Faulty Hard Drive Posting gb drive failures ref search posts nbsp Validity of Faulty Hard Drive Posting I purchased a Lenovo L a few years ago and have had endless problems with the machine Every - weeks it just wont boot up and I have to reinstall the OS I had taken it in for repairs indicating that I suspected the hard drive as the root cause of my problem but the drive was never replaced Needless to say the problems have never been resolved so I was very nbsp interested when I came across the aforementioned posting indicating that the nbsp problem was due to faulty hard disks installed in a large batch of machines manufactured around th April the same time as my L was manufactured nbsp nbsp If there is any truth to this posting I really feel I've been taken for a ride as the HDD should have been replaced whilst still under warranty when I initially took the machine in for repairs

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-L-R-and-SL-series/Validity-of-Faulty-Hard-Drive-Posting/td-p/3350537
Relevancy 48.16%

Hey there my full blown error drive system freezing? faulty optical a cause Could thread can be found here if you scroll down you will se my more recent updates but at the moment I am stuck trying to figure out whether or not an optical drive messing up could have some serious performance repercussions This is because my computer is freezing pedantically and I took Windows' advice and assumed it was my HDD which was corrupt I bought a new one installed it and everything seems all right at the moment the only problem is is that I am on a fresh install of windows and my optical drive is being temperamental - sometimes working other times not even realising it has a disc in it When it does realise it has a disc in it the applications such as driver installers crash mid-way through their process - my computer locks up and begins to freeze again but this time I can just eject the disk and everything sorts itself out almost straight away I am super frustrated because it also doesn't recognise any USBs so I cant get any drivers on there since my internet connection is a wireless adapter and my optical drive is as Could a faulty optical drive cause system freezing? mentioned screwed What do you guys think

A:Could a faulty optical drive cause system freezing?

It's starting to sound more like a motherboard on the fritz than anything else, given the various problems you are having.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/248680-could-faulty-optical-drive-cause-system-freezing.html
Relevancy 48.16%

I recently plugged in a Corsair Voyager USB stick which turned out to be faulty As part of confirming this after not being able to access it in Windows I checked if it was visible in the BIOS which it was but seems to be dead I STOP: using following error drive faulty 7B un-repairable USB a removed the Voyager drive but upon the restart Windows failed to load it gets to the load screen and just as the animation starts it BSODs for of a second and then restarts It does this without fail in safe mode and does the same with the HDD plugged into another PC Nothing in the Recovery Console fixes the problem CHKDSK un-repairable STOP: 7B error following using a faulty USB drive says there are no issues for some reason Sys Restore isn't functioning in the RC etc etc I managed un-repairable STOP: 7B error following using a faulty USB drive to get the stop code stop x B xFFFFF A E xFFFFFFFFC x x This suggests to me that there is probably an issue with the SATA chipset drivers and I can only assume that they have somehow been corrupted when Windows was trying to detect the faulty USB stick I know that SATA drivers can be installed separately on a Win install but surely you can also re-load them or load default drivers in the Recovery Console from either the Win disk or chipset drivers from another location If anyone has a link or instructions to how to carry out the above or any other information it would be greatly appreciated EDIT - meant to say that after chkdsk completes is comments quot Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status quot - unsure what this suggests

A:un-repairable STOP: 7B error following using a faulty USB drive

Start with these free, bootable diagnostics: Initial Hardware Diagnostics
Post the results and we'll move on from there.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/233059-un-repairable-stop-7b-error-following-using-faulty-usb-drive.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Last year i built a computer with an intel DG tl motherboard quad core q processor and seagate barracuda hard drive From the Solved: Motherboard Hard or Drive Faulty beginning Vista seemed to be having alot of problems but didnt think anything of it cause well its vista The problems were windows explorer stopped working this happened alot alot So recently ive been having problems with booting up it freezes before windows can reach the log in stage Sometimes if i let it sit a few days and replug Solved: Faulty Motherboard or Hard Drive in the SATA it will load up but eventually crashes It does alot of memory dumping too And i have changed the SATA cable ive tried that already So my question is do you think Solved: Faulty Motherboard or Hard Drive it is the motherboard or the Hard drive Ive already ruled out vista i really doubt its that My assumtion is that it is the motherboard i did some research and found out other people had problems with the board too If there is any questions that will help narrow down the possibility of whats wrong feel free to ask Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 48.16%

Hey all The Issue I Have recently purchased a laptop with windows XP preinstalled high-grade drive Faulty DVD on laptop on it has COA key and eveything seemed to be working until i updated the Webcam drivers Suddenly the laptop stopped working and kept getting a BSOD so i re-installed XP and re-instlled the drivers for the laptop but now the DVD drive doesn t work properly When i insert a DVD film into the drive the film will play using Power Cyberlink DVD player but if i try to open the DVD from quot My Computer quot the disc appears to be blank This also happend with DVD Faulty DVD drive on high-grade laptop s where i have backed up data etc Also eveytime i start the laptop up it keeps trying to install two quot Base System Device quot I have tried allowing the laptop to install these devices but each time it tells me the device quot was not installed correctly quot I am confused as to why this is and was just wondering if i had installed the correct drivers for the laptop or not or if perhaps my DVD drive is on t its way out Laptop Specs Hi-Grade Notebook Pentium INtel T Dual Core Gb RAM Gb HDD Windows XP PRO Faulty DVD drive on high-grade laptop SP Model No W S I do have a genuine copy of Windows Home Premium with a COA but im reluctant to install this without a fully working DVD Drive thanks in advance James nbsp

A:Faulty DVD drive on high-grade laptop

I can't find W76S on Hi-Grade's site, so I don't know what extras the laptop has. And their FTP server for driver download appears to be offline. Do you still have the CD/DVD w/ device drivers that came with the laptop? Perhaps try reinstalling the drivers for the webcam, card-reader, etc. from that disc.

The other option is take a look at Device Manager. Look at the properties for those w/ exclamation marks. There should be a Details tab. Select Hardware Ids under Property, and you should get couple things in the Value box. Hopefully, the 1st one will help you identify the make and from there, the right driver. If not, try using the 2nd value.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/faulty-dvd-drive-on-high-grade-laptop.168437/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hey A few months back I built myself a new PC and everything was working great for a month or so no problems at all However for the past few weeks I have been having trouble with I assume my hard drive hard faulty drive? failures, Boot and getting it to boot my OS Boot failures, faulty hard drive? Win x Heres what happens I power up my PC and it goes through the quot Asus Express Gate quot and other quot BIOS stuff quot - I notice that my HDD doesnt appear in the Sata device list on the next screen it says quot Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key quot So I restart and hit Delete to check my Boot Devices in the BIOS My Samsung HDD does not appear anywhere as if it was disconnected I open up the case to check the SATA and Power connectors which are all seated firmly in their sockets The first time this happened I quot solved quot the problem by plugging the Boot failures, faulty hard drive? HDD into a different SATA port on my MB It booted up Windows fine for a couple of days but then the same thing happened again and again I tried a different SATA port with the same results I have been having this problem for around months now and recently when I have tried reseating the SATA connector Boot failures, faulty hard drive? in a different port and rebooting it is not working right away and I have to try multiple ports with much rebooting in order to get it to work I have tried using the hard drives from my old PC which work fine and I was able to boot up Win XP I checked all my drivers were up to date - which they were So I was wondering whether any of you wonderful peoples had any ideas about what may be causing this problem and any suggestions on how to fix it I suspect that I have a faulty hard drive but I d like to try whatever I can before returning it Thank you for reading any suggestions will be much appreciated Jimmy nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/boot-failures-faulty-hard-drive.971168/
Relevancy 48.16%

My sister dropped my laptop and I am worried I may have a faulty hard drive.

Is there any good tool out there which can thoroughly check my Hard Drive for ANY error at all?

Thanks

A:Dropped my Laptop may have faulty Hard Drive

Use something like SeaTools to check condition of HDD, link to download here

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/148578-dropped-my-laptop-may-have-faulty-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi all,

I have exactly the same problem with my sons Sony Vaio laptop as the member in thread:

http://forums.techguy.org/windows-vista/909494-my-laptop-says-has-no-2.html

The Hard drive is a Seagate ST9160821AS but having looked on the net it would appear this model is not made anymore.

Does anyone know of a different model HDD that I could purchase that would be compatible with this laptop.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Phil.

Relevancy 47.73%

Computer: Dell Dimension 5100. 6 years old.
Current hard drive: SATA 250GB (think it's SATA 1). Dell web site says its ATA-133

Looking to: Replace the hard drive due to faults

Question: Can I fit a SATA 3 hard drive in this computer? Would this just work at SATA 1 speeds because of the old mainboard? Most of the hard drives listed for sale are now SATA 3.

Thanks for any replies.

Relevancy 47.3%

Have viewed the prior fixes for this error however unable to shrink or move files due to a faulty hard drive. Any suggestions??? Outlook is not responding and I need HELP as I am trying to back up prior to installing the new hard drive!!! It is noted the restore points (both auto and manual) do not appear so I'm also unable to restore to a prior point when everything was working. Also need clarification (more simple instructions) on how to query for the defective cluster(s) to see if I may be able to fix or somehow get around my hard drive problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/outlook-pst-error-0x8007045d-faulty-hard-drive.918357/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi About a month ago I posted a problem I was hard drive...or Dead enclosure? faulty external having with my very old Dell Dimension giving me an FDC failure error instead of booting up I tried every recommended solution multiple times before finally giving up and deciding to just get a new computer rather than throw good money after bad Dead hard drive...or faulty external enclosure? I bought a new Dell Inspiron s from Dell Outlet thanks for the rec Compaq which I received earlier this week My plan was to take out the Dead hard drive...or faulty external enclosure? old hard drive and use it as a secondary drive on the new one until I discovered that wouldn t be possible because the Inspiron isn t compatible with PATA Eh no problem I ll just turn it into an external drive instead So I bought an Acomdata external enclosure followed the installation instructions carefully and connected the external hard drive to the new desktop through the USB port The computer won t recognize the drive I tried it on my laptop and had the same problem not recognized and not listed in the device manager The LED on the enclosure lights up but the drive isn t spinning or powering up at all Could it be that my hard drive is actually dead when all along I thought my motherboard was fried Is there any way I can recover the data on the drive nbsp

Relevancy 47.3%

Ok here's my situation. I have a computer that will not boot up. So I want to check the hard drive on it to see if it is the hard drive that is kaput. I have another computer. However the working computer is using an SATA cable with it's hard drive. There is however an open place to put in a 40 pin ribbon cable. Can I just take the ribbon cable out of the faulty computer and plug it into the motherboard on the working computer. Or will this cause problems? All I want to do is see if the faulty computer's have drive is junk or not.Thanks.

A:Testing out a HARD DRIVE from a faulty computer to see if it works or not.

Make sure the old cable is an 80 wire 40 pin. The empty controller in the newer computer may also need to be turned on in the bios.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/testing-out-a-hard-drive-from-a-faulty-computer-to-see-if-it-works-or-not.429873/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hello,
I cannot read discs, burn disc or even see my CD drive.

When I try to burn a disk I am getting a message
"Cannot locate a CD burner on your computer
If you have cd burner, please insure it is properly installed.

I also cannot bring up the CD drive in the "My Computer" window, however when testing the driver it states " this driver is working correctly

This is interesting as I was able to do so prior to today.
Satellite X200 PSPB9A-057022
Any Help?
Jules

A:Faulty optical disc drive on Satellite X200

What is the status of optical disc drive in device manager?

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?66484-Faulty-optical-disc-drive-on-Satellite-X200
Relevancy 47.3%

Hello Everyone help advice needed please I have a HP laptop that had TB c drive i from Drive Hard Data been thats Recover Faulty partitioned partitioned it into two further drives Drive E and Drive F both had been assigned a drive letter weeks ago my laptops hard drive became faulty and i sent it off to repair with Knowhow I asked my data to be recovered before they put in a new one So what they did was only save what was on my C drive which was hardly anything and NOTHING of my other two important drives Recover Data from Faulty Hard Drive thats been partitioned E F was saved at all I phoned them up and spoke to the IT section and they said they will send the faulty hard drive back and for me to return it back to them via the store with an external hard drive so it can be recovered so what i want to know is can the data be recovrerd as EVERYTHING was saved on those two drives I have been told various things One said it cant be recovered because the main C drive was partitioned and someone else said it can be i do regular backups but since begining of this year i have not been able to as i was hospitalised in ICU and everything i did before that i didnt manage to backup and now i fear all that has been lost can anyone reassure me that it will be recovwred

A:Recover Data from Faulty Hard Drive thats been partitioned

As long as the 3 partitions where not over-written by "Knowhow" the data should all be intact and readable to the extent that the drive is readable..

when you get your old HDD back - purchase a HDD to USB external adapter - and you should be able to access the data..
to copy it over to another HDD > that is what they are going to do..

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/65909-recover-data-faulty-hard-drive-thats-been-partitioned.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Ok so here s the layout I have windows xp pro installed with non-sata hard drives primary being windows etc and secondary being just storage games music I now have a gb SATA hd So i mount it hook up the sata cable to motherboard hook up sata power cable and boot it up I go to my computer and see nothing So i go to find new hardware and find nothing either I installed scsi component and it showed the things i just installed the scsi component and of course it shows detects the new sata drive So i m thinking it s now under my computer i look there and Help! interlinking! SATA drive non-SATA & it SATA & non-SATA drive interlinking! Help! s not there Now what i m doing is only having this for mass storage SATA & non-SATA drive interlinking! Help! i would even replace the second drive non sata i had for this my BIOS under integrated periph has OnChip SATA enabled and OnChip SATA mode is quot IDE quot the other option is RAID but i only have sata hdd So right now i m thinking that I can t use sata and non-sata hdd s together but i could ve sworn you could I bet i m just doing this wrong oh and one more weird thing i ran everest and went under storage devices it shows drive as EPSON usb storage gb and epson is my printer driver So i uninstalled the printer driver now it just says drive gb TO SUM IT UP I want to run my single sata hdd with my other or both hdd s that are non-sata Is this possible and if so what am I doing wrong it s gigabyte sigma series motherboard sata slots available onboard nbsp

A:SATA & non-SATA drive interlinking! Help!

You have to partition hard drives before they show up in My Computer.

See Disk Management.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-non-sata-drive-interlinking-help.49017/
Relevancy 47.3%

Can I hook up a sata II drive to a sata I port or will this not work?

A:Sata II drive to sata I port?

Yes this will work but you will just get SATA I speeds and not SATA II speed. But thats not big problem

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-ii-drive-to-sata-i-port.122031/
Relevancy 46.87%

I have a failing 1TB HD that I want to replace with a SSD 250-500GB HD. Do I need a 1TB HD replacement to use recovery disk? The only programs/apps are MS Office and printer software, so I know there is enough space. Thanks, Paul.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Recovery-disk-install-when-replacing-faulty-hard-drive-with/td-p/5758160
Relevancy 46.87%

I have a TB HD external cause enclosure Could drive hard Solved: to click? faulty Seagate SATA HD that s about a yr old I bought an iMicro external enclosure for it and I use it for backup storage So it s turned off most of the time Over the last couple weeks I ve been having problems getting the drive to connect to the computer when I turn it on it s connected via USB The drive clicks whirs and speeds up and slows down as it tries to connect Sometimes I have to turn it off and on again to get it to go So is Solved: Could faulty external hard drive enclosure cause HD to click? the drive really bad I thought I d be in good shape w a Seagate drive when I bought it last yr but recently I heard that they were bought out and their drives aren t that good anymore Or could it be the external enclosure Like if it wasn t supplying good power to the drive would that make the drive act like that I recently got a new MSI mobo that has SATA ports but my boot drive is IDE If I tried to hook up the Seagate drive to a SATA port for testing purposes ie that would eliminate the external enclosure from the scenario would that interfere w the IDE drive nbsp

A:Solved: Could faulty external hard drive enclosure cause HD to click?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-could-faulty-external-hard-drive-enclosure-cause-hd-to-click.880304/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello all I made a post regarding the performance failing of one of my supply power affect hard performance? drive/computer Faulty hard drives The conclusion we came to has unfortunately not resolved my problem and I am beginning to think my Power Supply may be the culprit Faulty power supply affect hard drive/computer performance? ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Before I go into details here is my current Hardware Q GHZ GIGABYTE EP -DS R GB PC mhz x gb x gb Nvidia GTX mb requires x pin power adapters Asus Xonar soundcard requires floppy power adapters Windows x Jeantech W PSU modular PSU PCI-E nodes and nodes for other devices gb HDD operating system tb HDD data tb HDD data tb HDD data - added recently ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ My original problem in brief Upon accessing certain files in one of my TB drives I hear a distictive quot click lockup halt quot sound and then the entire system crashes first the drive will become inaccessible then windows explorer will crash followed by the mouse and eventually a BSOD after a minute ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ I bought a new TB a month ago to replace what then I thought was a failing TB drive Since the problems have become quot random quot and happen across all four drives tb tb gb tb I am now considering my PSU the culprit Jeantech Absolute w It seems logical to me Sometimes while performing tasks which put stress on several HDD s at the same time my computer is quot choking quot running as fast smooth as it should but with sudden freezes with those HDD quot click - stop - restart quot sounds Booting into windows is failing from time to time freezes on the quot starting windows quot screen or DISK BOOT FAILURE Insert system disk The PSU is modular - could certain quot plugs quot in my PSU are faulty I haven t tested this extensively but in some cases when the computer is not starting up at all using different power ribbon cable combinations seems to help Also I had to remove my DVD drive completely when I first installed the new TB I bought and I don t think my computer will start at all with it plugged in anymore so my PSU MUST be having a hard time coping with all the components If it is of any relevance I use an Nvidia GTX which requires x PCI-E pin power connections hard drives power is supplied via THREE modular ribbon power cables - two HDD s share power from the same ribbon cable lastly worth noting I use an asus Xonar sound card requires floppy power connector several symptoms suggest the PSU any thoughts nbsp

A:Faulty power supply affect hard drive/computer performance?

a 1000Watt shouldn't have any problem coping with the components that you have, i would recommend that u borrow a power supply from a friend and try it out on your computer, maybe the power supply is old and is not supplying proper voltages on all the rails....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/faulty-power-supply-affect-hard-drive-computer-performance.160966/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello Everyone Thank you for taking time to read my post hard-drive) faulty sure (pretty A a Occurred it's Disk Error not Read Here is my issue in as concise of terms as A Disk Read Error Occurred (pretty sure it's not a faulty hard-drive) possible Computer is a Sony Vaio VGC-RC G not sure about motherboard About weeks ago computer starts refusing to boot giving errors that make me think the hard drive is bad Computer will still occasionally boot after - tries I bought a new hard drive and tried to create an image of the old drive onto the new using Clonezilla the process gave a few errors The computer flatly refused to boot from the new drive gave disk read errors However when I could boot using the old drive I could get in and explore the image of the new drive and the image copy process seemed to have worked okay As part of the disk image copy process my new drive had partitions and about megs of free space The two partitions were the main windows partition from the old drive and the recovery partition I combined all partitions and formatted the new drive using Gparted because I thought that the disk image copy probably just recreated errors in the old drive onto the new After the format my computer then consistently refused to boot from either drive in the past I could boot to the old drive after a couple of tries The error was usually quot a disk read error occurred' or quot BOOTMGR is missing quot Attempts to install windows using windows install DVD failed because computer couldn't write to the new hard drive Both hard drives would usually appear in bios when I entered into it I know at least one time where neither appeared in the bios although sometimes computer would fail allow me to edit bios altogether I attached the new hard drive to a DIFFERENT COMPUTER and installed a clean version of windows Ultimate x to the new drive The DIFFERENT COMPUTER boots just fine from the new hard drive But when I move the new hard drive to back to the old computer I consistently now get quot a disk read error occurred quot error I don't believe it is a SATA cable issue because power to drive seems to be fine and I had to use the SATA cable from the old computer when hooking the drive up to the DIFFERENT COMPUTER and it worked fine Also Gparted recognizes the drive just fine and has no problems formatting partitions etc so there is communication happening through the SATA cable and the power cable is powering adequately TL DR summary New hard drive works fine with new computer but old computer when connected to same new hard drive gives me a quot disk read error occurred quot Based on the evidence I don't think it's a faulty drive issue I'm also skeptical that it's a cable issue but haven't ruled out this possibility What should I do next in terms of identifying the problem I've currently exhausted my admittedly limited hardware troubleshooting expertise Thanks again for helping me work on this I appreciate it Love wackydavo P S Edited for clarity typos punctuation etc

A:A Disk Read Error Occurred (pretty sure it's not a faulty hard-drive)

It is a Sony laptop, not really serviceable except by them, I did find this on Sony's site. You could try resetting the bios.
Sony eSupport - VGC-RC110G - Support

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/267487-disk-read-error-occurred-pretty-sure-its-not-faulty-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I'm playing with a recently retired server running 32bit Windows 7 Professional. Originally it was configured as RAID 0 with 5 SATA drives. Those drives are gone but I want to install a spare 2TB SATA drive that I have. Using the RAID Management software I have created the drive and it shows the correct configured capacity. I initialized the disk with Disk Management and it lists the disk as online but it doesn't show up in the volume list with a drive letter. My intention is to use the 2TB drive as media storage. Other than combing RAID and Windows 7, what am I doing wrong? Am I better off reformatting everything and reloading Windows?

A:Unable to assign drive letter to newly installed SATA drive.

I had the same problem this week with a drive like that. Have you tried to reformat it? Also make sure your system can handle a 2TB drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/213241-unable-assign-drive-letter-newly-installed-sata-drive.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I am one of those people who like to gradually transfer over from one technology to another when the price is right. Well the price is right especially since SATA has been out for several years and PATA is an obsolete technology.

I have a PATA drive which is formatted for NTFS, not fat 32. I want to install it on a SATA 2 drive. I want to back it up with Ghost or Acronis and install it on the new sata2 drive.

Will this work? The drives aren't the same size either. Does it matter if it is Acronis or Ghost?

Thanks

A:Can I use Ghost or Acronis to back up my PATA drive and install it on a SATA drive

If you have the drivers for the SATA controller installed on your Windows installation then there's rarely any issue cloning the PATA drive to a SATA drive, and there's no issue with cloning to larger drive either, both Acronis and Ghost support going to a smaller or bigger drive. The file system doesn't matter.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-i-use-ghost-or-acronis-to-back-up-my-pata-drive-and-install-it-on-a-sata-drive.1042009/
Relevancy 44.72%

Can anybody talk me through installing a slave drive on my gateway gm5483e motherboard model 945gct-m3 made by elitegroup also known as ECS

A:windows Vista sata hard drive slave drive

plvness,

It should be as simple as installing a couple of cables. Hopefully you've got a nice flat cable either with the new slave drive, or a spare with the motherboard: it's normally red, but can be other colours, about 1cm wide and 1mm thick. That needs to be plugged in between the drive and one of your SATA slots on the motherboard. They'll normally be black, and unlike most, will have a slight 'L' shape to them. If you get a torch on your motherboard, you should see SATA1 or SATA2 written very close to them. If you've already got a SATA drive, then it should be easy to spot, so just use the second port.

When you start the machine up, go into the BIOS by pressing the appropriate key (it should come up with a screen just after displaying what graphics card you have / testing memory, telling you what key to press - normally F1, F2, F12, Esc or Del),

Then find your way to the 'Boot Order' section (sorry, not sure quite where it'll be for your chipset - but it'll be either on the first screen, or more likely a menu off of it), and make sure that it's still on your CD/Floppy/original drive first and hasn't swapped to your new SATA (it shouldn't have done, but some prefer a SATA drive by default to an IDE).

Any probs or questions, please come back. You'll do fine!

Rich.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-vista-sata-hard-drive-slave-drive.756517/
Relevancy 44.72%

SATA drive detected as an atapi drive by windows xp setup I m an drive xp atapi drive setup. SATA as by detected windows wanting to install windows xp for backwards compatible with order programs st primary partition is W size is GB NTFS maximum it will shrink down nd primary partition is setup as GB FAT can expanded space SATA drive detected as an atapi drive by windows xp setup. later after installing SP After installing XP I will use the windows system boot disk and do the following from the command prompt Bootrec fixmbr Bootrec fixboot Bootrec rebuildbcd Is it ok to install windows xp since it sees the drive as an atapi and don't need to worry about the sata driver Is the boot fix correct Thank You I also added a logical partition which has been removed Out of curiosity I put a windows setup cd It didn't see the Fat nd partition but it did see the logical fat partition as a normal dos primary partition It makes me wonder on SATA drives if windows se can be installed onto logical partition There SATA drive detected as an atapi drive by windows xp setup. was a size limitation it only saw around GB

A:SATA drive detected as an atapi drive by windows xp setup.

Quote:
2nd primary partition is setup as 99.97 GB FAT32

Why FAT32?

Dual Boot Installation with Windows 7 and XP

SATA Drivers - Load in Windows XP Setup on Dual Boot
SATA Drivers - Slipstream into Windows XP CD

Use EasyBCD 2.0 in Win 7 & Win XP.
EasyBCD - NeoSmart Technologies

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/321876-sata-drive-detected-atapi-drive-windows-xp-setup.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Dell Dimension about - years old Stock SATA gb hard drive crashed won't Crashed, Hard computer SATA drive recognize ANY Drive got the blue screen all the codes etc Took it to a computer Hard Drive Crashed, computer won't recognize ANY SATA drive place they also said the HD crashed I have bought a replacement gb SATA HD - attached the two inputs to the back one thin and ling one thin and short and Hard Drive Crashed, computer won't recognize ANY SATA drive all I get on boot up is a couple of chirps and the screen says quot Drive and and Not Found Serial ATA SATA- quot and repeats for drives two and three The drive is warm it s being accessed it s humming but I ve also tried a third gb drive same thing I even replaced the original drive back in and the same thing - not even the blue screen and error codes any more Went to F set up set to auto detect all SATA drives sets to on I m computer literate but not a techy or anything Totally lost now Please help emsguy you at aol dot com nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-crashed-computer-wont-recognize-any-sata-drive.135126/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop M S I was trying to install a new partition using Partition Magic apparently it didn t go too well Upon rebooting it never installed my software from drive desktop drive files a a laptop Transferring SATA to IDE and I got the message quot Operating System Not Found quot I couldn t boot so I switched back to my primary OS Windows XP Home I got a few errors when doing so quot xmnt program not found quot and quot autochk program not found quot I did a little research and found that Some parts of my Transferring files from a laptop SATA drive to a desktop IDE drive partition were hidden so I needed to go in and make them visible Well lets just say that didn t go over too well Now it wont boot at Transferring files from a laptop SATA drive to a desktop IDE drive all I get a black screen with a bunch of things on it So I gave up and went onto my desktop to see how I can retrieve my data so I can just clear my hard drive and do a fresh install on it and put my files back on I bought a Manhattan SATA to IDE Converter Transferring files from a laptop SATA drive to a desktop IDE drive I hooked everything up the problem I am having now is that my computer recognizes the drive but it is not visible or accessible I trie d changing the BIOS changing it from Master to Slave still no luck If I change the pins to slave I cant find the hard drive in Admin options When it is there I figured I would try to change the letter of the drive so it might pop up in my quot My Computer quot No luck When I right click it all I get is the option to delete the partition I m lost now I have no clue what else to do and I can t afford to get it done at a shop Any ideas of what the problems may be or if I am missing something The SATA drive is an RPM GIG Hitachi Model HTS G SA The desktop is a Dell Intel R Pentium CPU GHz MB RAM running Service Pack on Windows XP Home as well All I want to do is be able to take the files from the laptop SATA drive and put them onto the Dell IDE drive until I can reformat my laptop Then put it all back Impossible I am beginning to think so Thanks in advance Sorry for the novel I am just trying to post as much info as possible to save random questions later nbsp

A:Transferring files from a laptop SATA drive to a desktop IDE drive

If the desktop has SATA, then just plug the Laptop drive in, make sure the BIOS is set to boot from the IDE, and thats it.

If it doesn't, then the most painless way is an external USB Caddy - like this: http://shop.mcgtech.com.au/s.nl/it.A/id.2988/.f?sc=2&category=8641

SCAN IT FOR VIRUSES/SPYWARE BEFORE TRANSFERRING DATA!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/transferring-files-from-a-laptop-sata-drive-to-a-desktop-ide-drive.93578/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop M S I was trying to install a new partition using Partition Magic apparently it didn t go too well Upon rebooting it never installed my software and I got the message quot Operating System Not Found quot I couldn t boot so I switched back to my primary OS Windows XP Home I got a few errors when doing so quot files laptop a IDE to Transferring a from SATA drive drive desktop xmnt program not found quot and quot autochk program not found quot I did a little research and found that Some parts of my partition were hidden so I needed to go in and make them visible Well lets just say that didn t go over too well Now it wont boot at all I Transferring files from a laptop SATA drive to a desktop IDE drive get a black screen with a bunch of things on it So I gave up and went onto my desktop to see how Transferring files from a laptop SATA drive to a desktop IDE drive I can retrieve my data so I can just clear my hard drive and do a fresh install on it and put my files back on I bought a Manhattan SATA to IDE Converter I hooked everything up the problem I am having now is that my computer recognizes the drive but it is not visible or accessible I trie d changing the BIOS changing it from Master to Slave still no luck If I change the pins to slave I cant find the hard drive in Admin options When it is there I figured I would try to change the letter of the drive so it might pop up in my quot My Computer quot No luck When I right click it all I get is the option to delete the partition I m lost now I have no clue what else to do and I can t afford to get it done at a shop Any ideas of what the problems may be or if I am missing something The SATA drive is an RPM GIG Hitachi Model HTS G SA The desktop is a Dell Intel R Pentium CPU GHz MB RAM running Service Pack on Windows XP Home as well All I want to do is be able to take the files from the laptop SATA drive and put them onto the Dell IDE drive until I can reformat my laptop Then put it all back Impossible I am beginning to think so Thanks in advance Sorry for the novel I am just trying to post as much info as possible to save random questions later nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transferring-files-from-a-laptop-sata-drive-to-a-desktop-ide-drive.658713/
Relevancy 44.72%

Please help me with this one I have repartitioned my primary IDE drive amp re-installed WinXP-pro system is up amp nearly fully restored but one of my archive drives is unaccessable I have of WD SATA Gb drives full of avi files amp other things one is normal amp useable as it should be the other is not Dynamic unaccessable-is Foreign drive called drive SATA being recognized right BIOS sees them both Disk Mgr sees them both but it sees the problem drive as being Dynamic and Foreign it will not recognize anything else about it I can right-click SATA drive unaccessable-is called Dynamic Foreign drive it in Disk Mgmt tool and I could convert to a basic disk but I will loose all data I can also choose to Import when I right click it but I dont know what will happen maybe it will fix the problem but I'm not real interested in experimenting with my data - SATA drive unaccessable-is called Dynamic Foreign drive I SATA drive unaccessable-is called Dynamic Foreign drive would really like to save it I have no other system with SATA to put the drive in to check it just this one I have re-installed the SATA drivers amp it should be picked up properly like the other one but it is still not there Hello Hello Hello Thanks

A:SATA drive unaccessable-is called Dynamic Foreign drive

Unless you're going to have a multidisk volume HDD I don't think you will want
to partition your SATA into a Dynamic Disk. I have never heard of Dynamic and Foreign but things change everyday.

Other operating systems: If you convert a disk with a partition that contains an operating system other than Windows 2000 or Windows XP Professional, you will not be able to start the computer from that operating system after the conversion.

Reverting back to basic disks: After you convert a basic disk into a dynamic disk, you cannot change the dynamic volumes back to partitions. Instead, you must delete all dynamic volumes on the disk and then use the Convert To Basic Disk command. Hope this answer some of your question.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/sata-drive-unaccessable-is-called-dynamic-foreign-drive-44936.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I was just copying files right from my c drive which contains defunct windows to the bootable drive. with drive make main SATA Trying XP installed folders that the pc doesnt use I had no clue what i was attempting to do years ago with this install onto my e drive which is the primary drive i am going to reformat the c drive to install windows Now what happened is that i went to disconnect the one drive to make certain the windows folders on c are not in use im sure theyre not since they havent Trying to make SATA drive with XP installed the main bootable drive. been modified Trying to make SATA drive with XP installed the main bootable drive. in years but ran into an error on bootup where the system couldnt find the file ntldr I had to burn this fix from my laptop onto a dvd and then run that and it fixed it What happened was that in the root c drive folder was the ntldr file and a few others apparently that i moved into a folder on my e drive in my attempts to preserve everything from the c drive for after i format it I moved all those little files back to the root c drive I checked in the root e folder and those files arent there I was expecting there to be copies of them at least I then copied those files from the c root dir to the E root dir I then unplugged c and booted and i get the quot error loading os quot or quot os not found quot i forget the exact error message This may have something to do with e being a SATA drive and c being an IDE drive however Anyway for whatever reason the pc will not recognize the e drive on the SATA as bootable I read that if I boot from the xp cd and choose repair on the e drive it may fix the issue Wondering what you all think of that All i want to do is be able to boot from e for now until I make the c drive the win install bootable main drive If anyone could explain the easiest path to take to accomplish that at this point that would be swell

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/trying-to-make-sata-drive-with-xp-installed-the-main-bootable-drive-437214.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I need to retrieve data from a SATA drive but can only achieve this if I can connect it as a slave drive to a machine with a master PATA drive. The motherboard will accept both devices. Is this possible? and if so how?

A:Master PATA drive Slave SATA drive-is it possible

Leave the pata as master, plug in the sata and reboot. OS will assign new drive letter to the sata and you should be able to see it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/master-pata-drive-slave-sata-drive-is-it-possible.518931/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi Is this possible I have tried numerous times on my DVD Windows with Install and 7 Hard Sata IDE ROM Drive Drive PC to install Windows onto my Sata Drive to no avail Yet as soon as I plug in my IDE HD it installs fine I have unplugged all external peripherals USB and internal Card Reader Set my Bios ok as it sees both the Hard Drive and DVD fine Both in the bios and during selection Install Windows 7 with Sata Hard Drive and IDE DVD ROM Drive of hard drive during windows installation Yet when I come to install it it craps out at a random percentage saying cannot read from source or worse yet it crawls so slow through the percentages I really don't think Windows should take hours to get to Yet both the hard drive and dvd are fine and the disc works great on my other PC without the sata drive in I'm pulling my hair out here My motherboard is a Biostar G -M TE with latest bios now what is odd is that I recently updated the BIOS to the latest one so does my problem come from here or was it always going to be a problem on this board Also when I do have win installed on the IDE drive when I plug in ther sata drive inside the whole system goes belly up from freezes when transferring large files to just not seeing the drive Help

A:Install Windows 7 with Sata Hard Drive and IDE DVD ROM Drive

Have you checked out all of our Questions list ?

Questions to use for help with Installation Issues

One of my favorite tips is to pre-format the HD on another computer to the partitions that you want for the new install on the new computer. Sometimes SATA drivers are required during install either from Disc or USB flash drive containing the correct Sata drivers needed.
Also check your Bios setting for AHCI, SATA, IDE.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/116598-install-windows-7-sata-hard-drive-ide-dvd-rom-drive.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I am running Windows 7 Pro. Have a external dual dock connected to a estata port. One of the drives assigned letter K often comes up as E and I have to change as application is looking for K. Another disk in this dock works fine. No problems.
Does anyone know why this might be happening or anyway to prevent?
Seems like when I go to disk management and assign K it should stay that way.

A:External Sata drive will not keep assigned drive letter

Quote: Originally Posted by Terrym

I am running Windows 7 Pro. Have a external dual dock connected to a estata port. One of the drives assigned letter K often comes up as E and I have to change as application is looking for K. Another disk in this dock works fine. No problems.
Does anyone know why this might be happening or anyway to prevent?
Seems like when I go to disk management and assign K it should stay that way.

Try assigning a drive letter a "distance" away from your existing drive letters.

For example, change the dock drive letter to Z and see how you get on with that.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/175456-external-sata-drive-will-not-keep-assigned-drive-letter.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello all I m hoping you can help me A couple weeks ago my hp pavilion dv crashed again Last time this happened I was able recover drive drive crashed Sata to USB slave to recover to an old restore point wih my vista recovery disk and save my files but no luck this time I m a writer and I have a decent amount of writing that I ll lose if I can t recover my files Sata USB slave drive to recover crashed drive I have a sata USB cable that I m using to connect the drive to my old working pc windows xp When I hook it up I hear the drive powering up and the computer makes the USB detect sound but the drive never shows up in my computer How can I get my pc to detect the drive Is all lost thanks so much for any help I know more than average about computers but I m mostly a beginner so please explain in simple terms Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Sata USB slave drive to recover crashed drive

the noise you are hearing is a good sign, but maybe windows is assigning the drive a letter that is already in use? if you right click "my computer" and go to manage. then click on disk management, take a screen shot of that and attach it to a post on here..i might be able to help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sata-usb-slave-drive-to-recover-crashed-drive.1059869/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi, When I go to Computer Management my main (OS) drive shows as "Disk 1" and my 2nd internal data drive shows as "Disk 0". Should I switch the SATA cables so that the main drive will show as "Disk 0 and the 2nd internal drive as "Disk 1"? Or should I ignore this? Thanks.

A:Main drive and data drive SATA connectors?

Hello Antares,

As long as you are not having any issues booting to Windows, I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't matter what the Disk number is.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/49283-main-drive-data-drive-sata-connectors.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Comic Sans MSI recently upgraded from Win98 SE to Win2K Pro. After the upgrade I can no longer see my SATA drive. This is an Athalon Barton 3200 Processor w/512MB RAM, ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe MB. Any idea how I can get this drive to be seen? It is a WD800 SATA. Worked fine with the Win98 SE os

A:Can't find SATA drive from EIDE Drive with Win2K

Did you install the drivers for the SATA controller?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cant-find-sata-drive-from-eide-drive-with-win2k.16109/
Relevancy 44.29%

Hi Everyone I just bought a TB Seagate SATA HDD Which I will be using as a data drive I have my Primary gig sata hd which i use for windows Now installing Hard Drive SATA Drive Dissapears 2nd after when I go to install the tb Drive it detects it on first boot in the bios when it trys to boot it hangs on a black screen and doesnt move When I go to restart the Primary Drive dissapears and only the tb drive is visable So what I've tryed to do Hard Drive Dissapears after installing 2nd SATA Drive is ive disconnected the tb drive i left the drive connected and it booted up fine got into windows and worked as normal but when I plugged in the nd drive it doesnt boot up and when it doesnt boot you restart and the dissapears I've also ghosted my gig drive to the tb drive My contained partitions C for windows and D for data So atm im using my tb drive like my with the C and D But would anyone know the issue why I cant have both drives in there Here are the troubleshooting steps I took Changed SATA Cables Changed the sata order Plugged primary in SATA and DATA HD in SATA to see if the ports are faulty Took out the IDE CD-ROM Tryed to mess around in the bios and nothing worked Also using an ASUS P ND mobo with lastest bios update

A:Hard Drive Dissapears after installing 2nd SATA Drive

What is the power supply like? Make sure the power cables are on a different branch, if possible.

Perhaps the PSU isn't sending out enough power for both drive on a single cable?

Just a guess.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/74109-hard-drive-dissapears-after-installing-2nd-sata-drive.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Since I don t drive slower an IDE benchmarking drive? than (HDTach) SATA as know which SATA drive benchmarking (HDTach) as slower than an IDE drive? information will be important to answering my question I will provide more than is probably needed My main machine is built on an ABIT IC G motherboard running Windows XP with SP installed It has the latest BIOS ABIT issued for the IC G The CPU is a Northwood C overclocked to GHz To get there the FSB has been upped to MHz instead of the spec Mhz The memory is GB of OCZ PC Platinum Rev ram running at a divider of so the memory clock for it is MHz with timings of The system is rock stable and will run Prime indefinitely The CPU is air cooled with a humongous Thermaltake CPU cooler The Northbridge chip is also actively cooled with an equally humongous Thermatake cooler Now for the question The machine has two Seagate hard drives installed an ST A IDE as the C drive and an ST AS SATA drive as the archive drive The SATA drive is connected to the SATA connector on the motherboard which is controlled by the Intel ICH R Southbridge SATA controller HDTach benchmarks the IDE drive as having an average read of MBs with a maximum burst speed of MBs Inexplicably to my thinking it benchmarks the SATA drive as having an average read of only MBs -- but with a maximum burst speed of MBs Can any one see an explanation for what should be a much faster SATA drive benchmarking as slower than the IDE drive The machine is a super performer -- for an older Pentium machine -- and having the archive drive be slower than it should be is not a critical problem But I am mystified by what I am measuring Help or suggestions would be much appreciated nbsp

A:SATA drive benchmarking (HDTach) as slower than an IDE drive?

Based on the motherboard specs the sata is an early version. They typically were not much faster and in some tests slower than ide connections.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/sata-drive-benchmarking-hdtach-as-slower-than-an-ide-drive.132977/
Relevancy 44.29%

I have a Dell Dimension drive XP, hard WD recognized drive with Installing new SATA not MCE that I ordered with a single drive In retrospect I should have ordered it with drives and without MCE but that is another discussion I am wanting to install a new OEM WD Cavier SATA with dual boot operating systems on the same drive but partitioned XP Pro and MCE I have installed the WD drive as the second drive in position and made a partition of GB The drive is Installing new WD SATA hard drive with XP, drive not recognized seen by the system I reboot the system and go into setup disable the Maxtor SATA drive one delivered with system and in position change the Installing new WD SATA hard drive with XP, drive not recognized boot order so it boots from CD save the changes I boot the system with the Win XP Pro CD and in the FDD Installing new WD SATA hard drive with XP, drive not recognized I have WD SATA drivers The system boots I hit F and it looks as though it is reading the SATA controller drivers Needless to say the system doesn t recognize that a hard drive is present Please help If anyone has any ideas or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated nbsp

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/installing-new-wd-sata-hard-drive-with-xp-drive-not-recognized.18023/
Relevancy 44.29%
Relevancy 44.29%

I have Windows XP sp2 on a Hitachi 80 GB SATA drive partitioned as drive C: and drive E: with ntfs. The operating system is on the C: partition and other programs are on the E: partition. I purchased a larger 250 GB Hitachi SATA drive and installed it as drives D: and F: I want to transfer Windows xp from the 80 gb drive to the 250 gb drive and activate the 250 GB drive as the boot drive.

I copied the files from the E: partition to the F: partition. How do I transfer Windows from the 80 gb drive to the 250 drive and boot from the new drive.? I want to use the 80GB drive as a Linux drive and multiboot Windows xp and Ubuntu Linux .

Thanks,
Romeo Dais

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/transfer-windows-xp-sp2-from-current-sata-drive-to-new-drive.578887/
Relevancy 44.29%

I messed up by making a cloned SATA drive instead of just doing an image back up. Now, because it's recognized as a real system drive, I can't get to it to make it a backup drive with an image vice a clone.

A:How do I change a cloned SATA drive to use as a backup drive

Sorry to hear you are having issues Beaner...

Not sure how politically correct that name is either... LOL!

Quote:
I messed up by making a cloned SATA drive instead of just doing an image back up.

What application did you use to make this "Clone"?

Quote:
Now, because it's recognized as a real system drive, I can't get to it to make it a backup drive with an image vice a clone.

Can you boot into your OS? If yes, can you see both the old HDD and the Cloned HDD? If you can positivly ID the cloned drive just format it and start again!

I can give you more details once you give me more details!

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/186654-how-do-i-change-cloned-sata-drive-use-backup-drive.html
Relevancy 44.29%

There was a post on this earlier in the month but it was about a laptop and the responders told xp new drive install drive w/o fresh on sata floppy others to fresh xp install on new sata drive w/o floppy drive make a new thread with their problems So here s mine I bought a seagate sata drive and I m trying to install xp on fresh xp install on new sata drive w/o floppy drive it I have an epox nda j mobo The computer already has a WD pata drive dual-booting XP and Vista on it I ve had absolutely no luck installing XP on the computer getting the same disc read errors that others get I tried using nlite to make a boot disc but I m not sure if I did it right or not I tried using a USB floppy with the sata drivers from epox but XP appears to have no intention of recognizing it I briefly looked into seagate s disc wizard but it didn t seem to be very helpful either I saw some stuff about dynamic drive overlay being a problem in other searches I made but the option to remove it from my drive was grayed out So now I m sitting here with a GB paper weight Does anyone have any idea what I could be doing wrong here or what else I need to do to fix this nbsp

A:fresh xp install on new sata drive w/o floppy drive

any ideas?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fresh-xp-install-on-new-sata-drive-w-o-floppy-drive.601219/
Relevancy 43.43%

Hey everyone Ok so my old WD G IDE hard drive was running a bit low on space and I decided it would be a good idea to upgrade to a tb seagate that I found at best buy I figured I could just clone the old IDE drive and make the sata drive my new primary drive but in order to do that they both have to be operating at once and I have to be able to boot the old one in order to run the wizard drive of IDE drive new afraid Solved: SATA So I plug it in the new one and I get a disk failure because it automatically wants to boot the empty sata Solved: IDE drive afraid of new SATA drive drive I attempt to re-configure the boot priority Solved: IDE drive afraid of new SATA drive and put the Solved: IDE drive afraid of new SATA drive IDE back on top but there s no IDE hard drive to be found anywhere The IDE drive re-appears once the sata drive is gone but anytime the sata is plugged in it immediately gets overridden and disappears The IDE drive is connected off of the same cable as my cd-drive and I was wondering if it being set to a slave could possibly be the cause of this Any ideas nbsp

A:Solved: IDE drive afraid of new SATA drive

Lets try? If you have your ide drive connected to the ribbon with the cdrom drive, connect your sata drive to a sata connection on the boars {#1] connection> upon re booting the pc go to mv computer & right click>left click on manage>Left click on disk managment. If the drive is there you have to format it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-ide-drive-afraid-of-new-sata-drive.850427/
Relevancy 43.43%

Right now i am booting off of an 80gb IDE hard drive but i want to clone the drive onto a 150gb sata drive and make the sata drive my boot drive.

I have used Acronis True Image to clone the hard drive.
I restarted and everything copied over in DOS successfully but then i tried to boot off of the sata drive and everything seemed to work out fine.. Vista load bar showed up, i was able to enter my password to log in and then it said preparing desktop like it was the first time i installed vista.
It was stuck on that screen for a few mins and then a blank blue screen just came up.
it seemed like it was the default background for Windows 2000 or something like that and it just stayed there.

So now i'm back to booting off of the IDE drive...

anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

A:Cloning IDE boot drive to sata drive

Brink posted a very good suggestion; it's #3.
Cloning a Drive

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/176673-cloning-ide-boot-drive-sata-drive.html