Windows Support Forum

2 Optical drives burning simultaneously??

Q: 2 Optical drives burning simultaneously??

I have 2 LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1H drives and can't burn a disc on them simultaneously.
Is there a way i can do this? If i check the box to enable burning on a drive in its properties, then it will automatically uncheck the other drives box.
Also, if i do change which drive i am wanting to burn with, i have to restart my machine before burning or else i just get errors and another coaster.

If i can't burn simulataneously, is there any reason to have to burning drives?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: 2 Optical drives burning simultaneously??

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: 2 Optical drives burning simultaneously??

This is because your computer hardware is not up to the task of simultaneously burning. Memory type and amount, motherboard, power supply, hard drives and CD/DVD burners, all have a say in how your system burns CD's.

What are your computer specs? Do you really think this is a dumb question to ask on a computer hardware help website?
Relevancy 92.02%

Put simply both of my optical drives stopped reading discs at the same time Both are on the secondary IDE channel of my mother board System can see simultaneously! drives working Optical - stopped the drives physically but neither will read data error message is - no disk in drive This all happened following virus infection Trojan downloaders - now clean and some adware Optical drives stopped working - simultaneously! malware which has also been purged So far I have tried other Optical drives stopped working - simultaneously! drives that I know are working - still Optical drives stopped working - simultaneously! a problem I have also swapped IDE cables - still a problem and swapped drives onto the primary IDE channel and the hard disk etc onto the secondary channel - problem still exists This seems to be a Windows problem perhaps but without the optical drives I have no way to reload Windows unless one of you clever guys out there can suggest a way to reload Windows without CD support I guess I should also add that device manager shows drives working correctly IDE channels working correctly IDE controller working correctly I m about to resort to USB drives but this seems to be a defeatist attitude HELP nbsp

Relevancy 81.7%

Hello I have a really at Burning Speeds Drives New Optical Low odd problem with my new Optical drives Whenever I burn a CD-R in Alcohol or Nero it starts off at X and slowly makes its way up New Optical Drives Burning at Low Speeds to X By the time the disc is done the speed is around X Just before the disc finishes the speed will be around X I usually select X before starting to burn But no matter what speed I select it always starts off at X and SLOWLY makes its way New Optical Drives Burning at Low Speeds up One of my drives is a SONY DVD RW DRU- A Master X Max CD-R burning speed X Max DVD -R And the other is an LG HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE- B Slave X Max CD-R burning speed I thought it was a problem with my LG CD-RW burner and I didn t expect the same to happen with the new Sony DVD burner I bought today I also tested my Sony drive today with an X Maxell DVD R and it burned it just fine at the full X The max speed of my Sony DVD burner is actually X but I don t have any X discs right now I used TDK X and cheap Optimum X CD s for burning and the result was the same I checked in Device Manager and both drives which are on my Secondary IDE Channel are operating in Ultra DMA Mode My Computer is a Dell Dimension P Ghz HT MB PC DDR SDRAM Mhz FSB and MB L cache One big thing I forgot to mention before and that I ll add now is that my LG burner would burn at exactly the speed I set when it was in my PIII Mhz computer with MB SDRAM Why is it and my Sony burner malfunctioning in exactly the same way in my newer and more superior computer I would really very appreciate any help you could give me Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 61.92%

I went over to someone s apartment over the weekend to help him set up his new computer and ran into almost no problems with it However when I installed his old hard drive in his new computer I noticed something I had actually never seen before his new hard drive was not IDE Simultaneously SATA using drives. and connected via IDE but rather a different method I wasn t aware of which I ve now learned is serial ATA The new hard drive in his computer Simultaneously using SATA and IDE drives. was connected that way and his DVD burner was connected via the Simultaneously using SATA and IDE drives. secondary IDE and running with no problems I was able to Simultaneously using SATA and IDE drives. put his old DVD drive in the computer and hook it up as the slave also on the secondary IDE with no issues but the new computer doesn t seem to find the new hard drive which I connected on the primary IDE using the IDE cable from his old computer I played around in the BIOS a bit but nothing I did could seem to get the new hard drive recognized Anyone have any ideas what the solution to this might be I have a feeling it might be as simple as the jumpers on the old hard drive not being set right since there was no diagram displaying what the settings are for master slave and so on so it s possible I may have made the wrong choice But if the secondary IDE is being used for the DVD drives and the primary hard drive is SATA is there any reason I shouldn t be able to get the old hard drive recognized And should the jumpers for the old hard drive be set as master slave or something else And is there anything else I need to know I m normally very good with this type of thing but I was just thrown off a bit by the SATA question so I d appreciate any help or suggestions anyone might have Thanks --Matthew nbsp

A:Simultaneously using SATA and IDE drives.

I would have the DVD and old HD on primary, and the DVD burner on secondary. Is the SATA connected correctly? If you don't know how the jumpers should be set, try looking in the manual if you have one. If you don't, try taking out the jumpers, and then booting.

You may also want to flash your BIOS.
Relevancy 61.92%

Does any one know how to get Vista Ultimate 64 to write to two hard drives simultaneously?

A:Writing to 2 drives simultaneously.

Hi prokey, Welcome to the board.

I believe what you try to do can be achieve by setting up two identical hard drives in RAID 1 configuration therefore you will be able to make a exact copy of all activities. In case you are not familiar with RAID arrays, there is more information on this subject: RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hope this helps,

Relevancy 61.92%

I ve got an old Dell Inspiron PC that into Plugging Cable? to IDE Optical Drives' Drives Hard the office uses as shared storage printer server etc and it s been having issues seeing Plugging Hard Drives into to Optical Drives' IDE Cable? USB drives correctly Although the laser printer that s on USB has never ever had a problem Yesterday it dawned on me that instead of plugging in the extra drives I need I could put another couple of hard drives in in place of the optical drives that are never used on that machine So after a bit vague googling it seemed this was possible so I went ahead and removed both optical drives replacing them with hard drives Plugging Hard Drives into to Optical Drives' IDE Cable? so now the PC has internal drives and they work You wouldn t believe the hassle I ve had with NetworkAttachedStorage and various different USB drives while figuring out that this machine doesn t like USB drives The thing is the drives seem to be running really slowly Is this because CD drives won t need to receive data as fast as hard drives do Is there any way of setting it Plugging Hard Drives into to Optical Drives' IDE Cable? up to send data faster to these drives nbsp

Relevancy 58.05%

Hi all,
Another problem so back to the gurus here!!!
My LG DVD burner died so I buried it down the back with my old dog and bought a Liteon iHAS524-T07 DU.
I have been using ConvertXto DVD to convert movies and burn them to DVD+RW media. This program even formats the disc prior to burning so saves a lot of messing about.
Now the bugger!!! This liteon will not burn to my DVD+RW discs. Put in a DVD-R and no problem.
Is there a workaround or solution? Is there another burner which will do what I want? It's been great using the DVD+RW's, saves money on media so I'd like to keep doing that. Ta for any help

A:Liteon optical drive not burning

Either that burner doesn't like the brand of DVD+RW disc you're trying to burn (meaning try another brand) or the burner itself is defective (meaning RMA it).
Relevancy 56.33%

I just bought a SAMSUNG sh-202 super writer so I that can burn dual layered dvds. After I unplugged the old one and plugged in this one the D: and E: drives are missing! I noticed this after roxio said that I had no drive selected. I tried all this bs with deleting registry info and installing nero but none of that crap worked. I do not know what is wrong but I will answer any questions needed to diagnose the problem. Please Help!!! This is pissing me off!

A:Where did my optical drives go?

What OS are you running?

There's a fairly common problem with Windows XP x64 that causes the IDE drives to disappear.

IF you don't have XP,

1. Click start

2. Control Panel

3. Admin Tools

4. Computer Managment

5. Double click "storage"

Tell me what you see....

Relevancy 56.33%

I have two DVD drives on my pc. When I eject the disk in one drive, it says that it is prepairing to eject and takes several seconds to eject.

I can put the same disk in the other drive and it will eject immediately.

Does anyone know why the two drives act differently?

A:Optical Drives

How long it takes to eject depends entirely on the make & model of the CD drive; Some can do it more quickly than others.

(Please don't shoot me down in flames by saying both of your drives are the same model!)
Relevancy 56.33%

Marvel controller and SATA mode are both set to IDE.
The ISO firmware update was burned to two disks using different software - to be certain that they were good, and further verified for integrity.

Two optical drives are installed - a DVD RW and a CD RW. Both were tried (with the ISO the only disc in either drive at the time.)
The resultant DOS screen...

Cannot open CD-ROM device "CDROM001"
CDR cache will not stay resident
SHSUCDX can't install
Unable to find CD-ROM drive

The drive is definitely active in the system, as the W7 install disc loads perfectly. The two drives are available via the BIOS and in W7.

Where have I failed?

A:ISO CD can't see optical drives

I presume that you had downloaded the bootable ISO from some website and trying to update the firmware of the Marvell controller.

If the downloaded ISO itself is corrupt, burning it to any number of CDs/DVDs and verifying the burn integrity is not going to help.

1. Redownload the ISO from the manufacturer's website.

2. (Optional) Make a file hash check - CRC 32/ MD5 / SHA-1 -, if that information is available, to check the integrity of the downloaded ISO.

3. (Again optional ) Burn the bootable ISO to a CD-RW instead of CD-R and try. (Use a known-to-be good optical Media such as Verbatim/JVC/Taiyo Yuden and burn the ISO at a lower speed instead of the maximum speed.) Better still make a bootable USB pen drive and boot from USB to save on optical media.
Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3 | USB Pen Drive Linux
Relevancy 56.33%

I have been asked to fix a friends pc. The problem is this - the optical drives are not displayed in My Computer and when I look in Device Manager both the DVD & the CD drive have an exclamation mark beside them. When I right click on them the Device status is as follows;

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

When I click Update Driver Windows says it cannot find a better driver than what is already installed.

I also tried Scan for Hardware Changes as in the MS docs but no joy.

Any advice on what to do next?

Relevancy 56.33%

"My Computer" in WinXP SP2 no longer displays my 4 virtual, and 1 physical optical drives.

Device manager reports that windows successfully loaded the drivers for each "drive".

Honestly I am totally puzzled by their disappearance. How can I go about getting them back?

Relevancy 56.33%

Hey guys, I am having a problem with my MSI 915P/G socket T(LGA 775) mobo. When I got my HD and my optical drvie in and go to setup windows, it laods a bit and gives me an error, or it will tell me a file is corrupted. I have tried setting up the HD and optical drvie in all sorts of confgiurations to no avail. I need some help, thanks.

A:MSI and optical drives.

Have you tried flashing the bios to the latest version?
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi All!

My optical drives, DVD and CD drives are not visible in my computer. But they are visible when I go to BIOS. But when I insert a disc after booting, neither it autoruns nor I could explore as the drives are not at all visible in My Computer.

OS is Win XP SP2

Relevancy 56.33%

My DVD drives seem to be running slow. I am having trouble loading games.
Seems to take a long time. My system specs are the same as in my profile.
Any ideas anyone?

Relevancy 56.33%

I have a computer here - I have installed a second CD Drive (a cd-rom, to jjoin the current CDRW).. Now the problem is only the secondary master drive works - no matter the combination (slave/master, primary/secondary) I cannot get both drives going - it's always just the primary master that works. After booting off a startup disk both drives work fine in DOS.. But they arent found In windows device manager... Any help??

Relevancy 56.33%

Just recently finished installing new Gigabyte GA-Z X-D H mobo into existing case and new installation of Win bit on a new HDD I have two HDDs - C and D and two CD DVD optical drives which should be E amp F but am only seeing E - that is only one of the drives in both Device Manager Disk Management and Explorer I have proved by swapping the SATA leads over that both optical drives work - and their LEDS both blink when I am booting up They are connected respectively to SATA ports amp on the mobo Both optical drives worked with the previous MSI mobo before it gave up the two use but only can and drives one optical see Have ghost FYI my HDD 'D' drive holds the previous OS so is effectively not acccessible though it is visible When I go into BIOS Features Boot Option Priorities Boot Option or I can see PO WDC WD EZRX- A LBO SATA PM TSSTCORP CDDVCW SH-S However when I go into CD DVD ROM Drive BBS Priorities Boot Option or I see SATA PM TSSTCORP CDDVCW SH-S SATA PS TSSTCORP CDDVCW SH-S From this it would appear Have two optical drives but can only see and use one that the BIOS is seeing both of the optical drives I don't know if it is of any relevance but under CSM support Display Boot Option Control it is set for Legacy Only Any assistance to see and use both optical drives will be appreciated Thanks Pedro

A:Have two optical drives but can only see and use one

Hum Pedro mate just what is showing up in Computer management like in my pic.
Relevancy 56.33%

Yesterday I noticed that my DVD Reader amp DVD burner were not displayed in MY Computer They are detected and shown in the bios and during initial startup but not in windows What WAS bad timing I ve since turned off System Restore while bug hunting and so cant go back I ve also found that my in drives Pro XP my see optical Can't Acronis True Image claims it cannot detect ANY hard drives and I have all of which I see and can access I tried running sfc scannow from command but it tells me the cd I put in was incorrect it isn t so I guess its either not seeing the drive either or is like me confused I can do a restore from boot Can't see my optical drives in XP Pro but I m hoping someone can shed some light upon this strange abberation In CP Device Manager it show a yellow exclamation next to the optical drives and says its probable the drivers are corrupt but its looking more like the IDE system has problems as clearly the HDDs are not being perceived as they should be Any ideas ND the only program that was installed around that time was a trial version Can't see my optical drives in XP Pro of XPRepair which Can't see my optical drives in XP Pro after it demanded registration to do anything other than detect I uninstalled thru Add Remove but it didnt go hmmmm so I took it out of the startup and physically removed it Still no go on the CD DVD nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

Hi all nbsp This is more of an informational question or inquiry I like optical drives with my laptops as I like to watch movies and such while traveling during downtime at work and on planes where you really can't easily log into Netflix for example and stream Obviously a lot depends upon the airline but that's generally true nbsp Anyway I've noticed that as beautiful as HP's newer laptop and convertible laptops are they don't seem to include optical drives Has HP completely gone away from them I am in the market done Has HP away optical drives? with for a laptop with an internal optical drive not an external drive whch sort of defeats the purpose of a lightweight and portable laptop Are there any left I can't seem to find any I'm looking for a Core I -ish processor laptop with at least GB of hard drive size with a screen Acer has exactly what I'm looking Has HP done away with optical drives? for in their Aspire E series but as a longtime satisfied HP user Has HP done away with optical drives? one desktop years back two Envys an X and a Star Wars laptop I wanted to give HP my business first if possible nbsp nbsp Many thanks for any suggestions nbsp Bob

A:Has HP done away with optical drives?

Hi,               Check the below unit from the HP Shopping site and this unit as Optical disk drive.  Or call the HP Shopping customer care and they will be able to give more options.
Relevancy 56.33%

I've had this ongoing problem where my optical drive will not burn anything because it rejects all discs telling me they are unwritable.
What troubleshooting steps can I take to fix this issue or discover which piece of the puzzle is failing?
I'm running Win 7 Pro.
The optical drive is:
ST1000DM ST1000DM003-1CH1
Driver provider: Microsoft
Driver version: 6.1.7601.19133
Driver date : 6/21/2006

A:Dell XPS 8700 Optical drive rejecting ALL discs for burning

Forgot to add..
the Optical drive is
Relevancy 55.9%

I just put together a system and installed Vista. After a few days of using it, the DVD writer stopped working. Also, Daemon Tools does not work. In "My Computer", no optical drives even show up. In Device Manager, both the physical DVD writer and the virtual dvd drive show up under DVD/CD-ROM drives, but both have an exclamation mark next to them. Under the device manager properties for both drives, it says:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. Code 39.

I click the driver tab, "Driver Details", and it only shows C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\cdrom.sys. I tried replacing the file from someone else's Vista machine, but it still doesn't work.

What could be wrong? Thanks for reading and replying.

A:Need Help, Optical Drives Not Working

Click Start, and then click Run.
2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
3. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
4. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type UpperFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
5. Click the REG_MULTI_SZ data type LowerFilters, and then click Delete on the Edit menu. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
6. Quit Registry Editor, and then restart the computer.
Relevancy 55.9%

I've got a BDROM and 2 DVDROMs in my computer, but can't get them to all function at the same time. At first I thought one of my DVD drives was broken, as my computer only recognised the BD and 1 DVD, until after a restart the nonfunctioning DVD drive was working but the other disappeared. The non functioning DVD is not recognised anywhere on my computer (Device Manager, Disk Management or My Computer) and switches between my first and second DVD drive every few start ups, the BDROM always works. Is there any reason I can't have 3 optical drives functioning at once??

A:Multiple Optical Drives

Clarification; you want all three drives to work simultaneously or just have all three to be able to function properly.
Relevancy 55.9%

I think it was after the updates loaded for windows incl. sp1 or after the vista patch for the game witcher which came from the microsoft site. Problem is that my optical drives dissappeared and the wireless adapter seemed to become D drive.
Device manager says drivers missing but windows says has latest drivers. Have disk for both LG drives but computer cant see drive to be able to run. Help pls.

A:Optical drives dissapeared

Look in the device manager under dvd/cd rom drives and right click to uninstall there. Following a system restart Windows should see the default drivers installed automatically. You can also look in the Disk Management tool with a disk in each drive to see if a drive letter is presently assigned to each one.
Relevancy 55.9%

I am completing a new build PC on a Gigabyte GA-H MHUD H board using SATA hdd For the first time I have bought a SATA rather than the common legacy IDE optical drive by Samsung model optical AHCI drives and SH-S x I stumbled across a forum post warning against selecting AHCI because lock-ups and BSOD events would be caused by the combination of an optical drive and AHCI mode I subsequently found a specific reference to this Samsung drive by a guy who like me had purchased it fitting into a new build With AHCI mode on it would not even boot from the DVD Win installations disk I am reluctant to engage myself in all the hassle for overcoming the deficiencies of these hardware incompatibilities but for one thing - I bought a very nice Coolermaster II Advance case and it has a sexy SATA hdd dock very conveniently placed on top of the case which I planned to use as a hot swap AHCI and optical drives port slipping in an hdd for convenient transfer and file backup Can anyone shed light on these problems and confirm whether or not they are now resolved A shufty at the Gigabyte and Samsung websites turned up nothing but I guess it AHCI and optical drives is a BIOS problem anyway Perhaps I should stick with IDE mode and patiently power down between docking and undocking the portable hdd

A:AHCI and optical drives

I cannot speak on specifics relating to a Gigabyte motherboard and Samsung drive or with Intel. However, in my setup (specs below) I have 2 SATA ODDs (one Blu-Ray/HDDVD/DVDRW+/- and the other DVDROM) with AHCI enabled (actually RAID). I have not had any problems whatsoever booting from either of the ODDs
Relevancy 55.9%

Apon a reboot my computer isnt showing any of my two optical drives & virtual drives.

Like this picture:
Would a system restore be best?

A:Optical drives missing

Can close thread, solution seems to be from this thread:
Problem w/ Missing Optical Drive - PC Advisor
Relevancy 55.9%

My two optical drives have disappeared. I've searhed this and other forums for solutions and the ones that are Wizards from MS can't seem to find anything wrong. I'm pretty sure this has happened after a big string of Win 7 updates or some other software update I can't remember. Any thoughts other than those on-line MS auto troubleshooters?

A:Optical drives have disappeared

My first question in this case is when the computer is booting, have you checked to see if the drives are detected by the BIOS? (Usually DEL or F10 or F2 will bring up the BIOS) If they are, then I would suggest doing a System Restore to when they were detected to see if this fixes the issue. If not, look in Device Manager (in the Control Panel) and see if anything shows up under DVD/CD-ROM Drives. Is there a question mark next to the devices, if so, double-click on them to see the error code.

If they however are not showing up in the BIOS at all, then most likely it's a hardware problem. Check the cables to make sure they are properly plugged in. Are these SATA or IDE optical drives? If SATA, try them in a known good working port to see if the BIOS can detect them. If not, you may have bad drives. Also try a different SATA (or IDE) cable if you can to see if this solves the issue. If you have another PC, you may also try these drives in a different PC to see if they are detected there or not. If they are, you may have a problem with the connectors but if they are not detected in another PC, then the drives are bad.

Include as many details as you can and let us know if any of this helps you.
Relevancy 55.9%

OK my first post here I m usually pretty good at searching out problems and solving them but this one has me stumped On the same PC two different optical drives on two different controllers one in not Optical XP reading drives onboard IDE ASUS DRW- BL on PCI SATA Silicon Image SiI controller a SONY BWU- S have suddenly stopped reading disks under Optical drives not reading in XP XPPro quot windows cannot read from this disk The file system may be corrupt etc quot Doesn t matter what kind of disk - DVD DVD-ROM CD data or BluRay data one drive is a Sony BD writer Here is what I have already tried Booted in safe mode - drives worked properly Both drives will read disks at boot eg XP install disk So I m fairly sure I ve ruled out hardware but not a hardware driver that only loads under XP outside of safe mode I have installed new hardware An Atto Celerity FC- ES Fibre Channel Controller I have this same card running the same drivers on other PCs without this weird effect Still it could be the culprit as the timeframes seem to match Under XP I can see the sessions on the disks in Nero but cannot read them Any ideas before I pull the Atto card and test I ve tried rolling back the PC too but ng The motherboard is an ASUS P N E SLI PLUS and up to now has been the most rock solid PC in the house nbsp

A:Optical drives not reading in XP

I take it XP has just reciently been loaded?
Outside of Safe mode?
Relevancy 55.9%

I have built 10 or so new systems.I always just hook up the IDE cable and power cable on burners and dvd players and everything works fine.A friend asked me what the small cable with 4 pin connector was for,the little cable they send with all new optical drives.I couldnt really answer him.I have never hooked them up .What exactly are they for?any benefit from using them?

Relevancy 55.9%

My CD ROM drive and my DVD burner are missing from "My Computer". They both show in device manager with the notation that they are working properly. I uninstalled them from device manager and restarted the computer hoping that that would solve the problem, but it did not. The restart reinstalled them so I know that the connections are ok, but they are not in "My Computer". Any suggestions?

Phil Maio

A:Optical drives not in My Computer

Try This:
Relevancy 55.9%

I have 2 ide optical drives, a CD-ROM and a DVD-RW. When I plug the DVD-RW in set up as a master drive my computer recognizes it and it works fine.
When I plug the CD-ROM in under a slave drive neither of the drives are recognized and don't work.
From what I understand 1 needs to be a master and the other a slave, which I have done and they don't work. I know they both work fine because I have checked them on another of my computers.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

A:Attaching 2 optical drives help!

Set the drive on the end of the cable to master and the drive in the middle to slave and it should work. this will work on most motherbords even if they were set to cable select to start with.
Relevancy 55.9%

Could not open I-tunes. Error said some files missing. Downloaded I-tunes again. After installing I-tunes neither Optical drive (DVD burners) was recognized.

A:Optical drives not recognized.

have you tried uninstalling i-tunes?
Relevancy 55.9%

My computer doesn't seem to recognize my two optical drives, (Drive D, a CD-RW), and (Drive E, a Sony DVD/CD-RW). Any suggestions on how to cure this problem?

A:Recognizing optical drives

If they are IDE drives, do you have one drive with jumpers set to master and placed on the END of the ribbon cable and the other drive set to slave and placed on the middle connector of the ribbon cable???
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a major problem with my optical drive. I have a Sony DR blue Raydrive and another drive that is DVD RW not sure of the brand.a folder has been mistakenly deleted and now I cannot use my optical drives. When I tried to run system restore it tells me that I can't run until a desk check is done. I cannot run disk check because it tells me that my system is corrupt.even though the device manager sees the drives they do not appear in my computer. I don't have access to my Windows DVD and am unable to run it. Can anyone suggest a solution to my problem?

I am running Windows 7 64 Pro.

Relevancy 55.9%

This could be a hardware problem or a software problem: When I had just 1 optical drive, I was able to 'rip' CD's & DVD's. I installed 2 additional lite DVD recorder optical drives(SATA). Since I installed the additional 2 optical drives, my software (Nero & Windows Media player) are not able to copy nor rip any original CD's. I looked at BIOS & see that it recognizes the 1st DVD rom as the Master & the other 2 as the slaves. The Device Manager has recognized all 3 optical drives including a virtual DVD rom MagicISO (installed when I first built my computer). A friend told me that the computer is 'confused' & not able to distinguish the optical drives. The reason for the 3 optical drives is that I work at a church & need to make CD copies of photos, music & recorded footage for distribution. Can anyone help me? Thank you

Relevancy 55.9%

I have an older HP Pavilion Core Duo ghz running Vista Home One evening we were watching an Blu Ray on Optical Problem Drives the LG Blu Ray player that s about years old The next morning Windows always gives me the error message that there is no disc in the drive even when there is a disc in the drive We ve tried DVDs CDs and BDs in the blu ray drive Optical Drives Problem and DVDs and CDs in the DVD-RW drive original to the PC When we try to right click on the drive and quot explore quot it always says there s no disc in the drive and ejects the drive drawers I ve done all of the Windows updates since it stopped working Since both of my drives stopped working makes me assume that it must be Windows and not a DOA drive I m pretty sure the drives aren t labeled the same way they were when they were working but I m mostly speculating here I ve run microsoft fix-it It calls the drives quot removable quot determines that there is a problem and then doesn t fix anything I uninstalled both drives and then rebooted and had Windows reinstall the drivers for both drives Same result Nothing on the windows quot Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs quot applied or helped Can someone help me with something that will work This is a HTPC and my only DVD player Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

These are my computer specs:

This is the problem: I got an old hard drive from a friend and I switched around the master/slave settings on all of my drives. My 120GB primary and the 6GB backup drive were recognized and worked fine. IDE1 and IDE2 are the hard drives and IDE3 and IDE4 are the optical drives. The optical drives have power because I can open and close them but they aren't recognized. I flashed my BIOS on my mobo to the latest version (Soyo P4I875P Dragon 2 Platinum and updated my chipset drivers (Intel 875P I've tried the optimized and fail safe defaults in my bios as well as tweaking different options. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

A:Optical Drives Not Recognized

Have you tried putting both optical drives on the Cable Select jumper setting?
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all,
I seem to have an extra drive letter that is NOT actually used, ie' the F: drive letter which is seen as a CD drive, whereas my DVD drive (the only single one) is actually E:

Everything is working fine and the drive actually used is E: but I would like to know how to delete this F: letter drive as it is simply not used. I have attached 2 images one of Disk Management window here...

and the other of the My Computer window view showing the other unused drive letter here...

If someone could please tell me how to get rid of this unused letter I would be really grateful, obviously if it showed up in the Disk Management section it could easily be done but I just can't think of how else to delete it.

Thank you very much.

A:Win 7 sees 2 optical drives (E: & F:) where there is only one

If you right click its icon in the Explorer window and select properties, what does it say about this phantom drive?

I've seen some software create virtual CDs (VCD) that'll show up like that (software installed from some brands of external hard drives and I think even that U3 software on Sandisk USB flash drives).
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 with Windows XP SP2 and the CD-Rom is a Hitachi-LG (HL-DT-ST CD-ROM GCR-8483B). My other drive is SONY CD-RW CRX216E. I noticed it was taking a lot longer to rip cds with the cd-rom, so I re-ran some benchmarks with Fresh Diagnose. Last year the read speed was 4.28 MB/Sec, now it's 1.66 MB/Sec. There was a newer version of firmware on the Dell download site that I downloaded and installed, but there was no improvement in speed.

I started using the cd-burner and it would rip at between 30x and 40x, so I didn't notice any slow down like I did with the cd-rom. But I thought I'd run a benchmark on that one too, 4.66 MB/Sec last year, now 2.53 MB/Sec.

Does anyone what could be causing this? What things could I try to see if I can improve the read speed?
Relevancy 55.9%

Suddenly have lost access to my two internal drives (Blu Ray writer & DVD/CD) as well as an external USB connected HP dvd writer.

Device Manager reports:

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Attempts to re-load driver unsuccessful - msg states the installed drivers are the latest.

A:Cannot access any optical drives

Welcome to the forums .

Try a System Restore to an earlier day than the problem started.

Let us informed what happened .
Relevancy 55.9%

burned a cd last night - today started up my pc and neither my dvd drive nor my cd-rw drive are functioning. both show up in device manager with an ! on their icon and both have an error message along the lines of "Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)". This worries me - i haven't done anything that should affect the registry since i last used the optical drives.
i tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drives in device manager and i tried a couple of reboots/ what next tsg?

Relevancy 55.9%

I have a MB that supports 12 hard drives... Yep; Count 'em.. 4 eide, 4 SATA 150, 4 SATA 3.0GB. All RAID capable. Currently running 2 optical drives on eide and 2 non RAID drives on 2 of the SATA 3.0Gb connections. Gonna upgrade my computer with some heat producing components and want to increase the air flow in my case by getting rid of the eide opticals and the cables that go with then.

My upgrade plan: Buy new optical SATA drives and put them on the SATA 150 connections of I can run RAID 0+1 on the SATA 3.0Gb connections.

Question: Do the SATA optical drives need to be on the SATA 300 connections or will they be perfectly happy (fast as they can be) on the SATA 150?

A:Optical drives on SATA 150?

Ooops! Posted this on the wrong forum.. Is there any way I can move it to the Hard Drive Forum without retyping it?
Relevancy 55.9%

ok heres the thing I just upgraded my computer a week ago and added a new gb hard drive to my from another Drives realm... Optical rig but thats not the point My optical drives one that can write DVDs and another that can only write normal CDs the one that can write DVDs can still read DVDs and CDs but cant write at all Nero wont Optical Drives from another realm... detect it On the other hand the drive that can only write CDs has been infested by evil pixies or thats just what my friend says but anyways it only writes doesnt read anymore it was able for a few days after i added the new harddrive tho I place a CD in and it makes fizzy sounds like a normal optical drive does but not as loud as it used too the computer acts as if nothing happened when i click on the drive icon in my computer it just opens up to an empty space but whats funny is that it still actually writes here are my or questions I installed on the new hard drive i bought and have OSes both XP SP on my computer i use only on new gb drive cuz the other one on old drive says its corrupted when i select it durin booting Is this optical drive problem due to the hard drives Is it there something wrong with the mechanism on the quot CD only quot optical drives Is there a problem with the driver of firmware of the DVD optical drives additional info -DVDRW drive LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW- S -CDRW drive LITE-ON LTR- S -Both OSes on both hard drives are WINXP SP one of them is corrupted -Mobo is some intel mobo with a P HT ghz - gb of ddr ram -i have alot of issues with my OS in the old hard drive massive infestation of adware and trojans dont know if they came to the new hard drive too -I use a Zboard but that probably doesnt matter -Already tried uninstallin the optical drives and allowing windows to redetect them if anymore info is needed pls ask any help will be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Optical Drives from another realm...

try ininstalling the IDe channel the optical drives are on and rebooting. windows will automatically reinstall the IDE channel and the drives on boot up. I would aslo do something about the corrupted drive. either reformatting it. or disconnecting it.
Relevancy 55.9%

I want to build a computer, AMD preferably, with 4 IDE drives, but the ASUS motherboards I am considering have only 1 IDE channel on the motherboard.

The computer will run Win XP Pro SP2.

Somewhere, I read that it is not a good idea to put 2 optical IDE drives on the same ribbon cable.

2. If I use an IDE controller card, in a PCI slot, can I boot to 1 of the drives on said card?

Thanks for your help.

A:IDE optical drives on same cable

not sure about your second question but I've always put my optical drives on one cable and never had an issue.
Relevancy 55.9%

Optical drives are seen by the device manager and do not show up in my computer. All are dvdrw drives and I can not load software or play anything. Have tried to reload drivers and get notices that there are no drives installed.

Win XP Pro
Relevancy 55.9%

I have an HP Pavilion zd7058cl laptop. The optical drive is a GCC-4241N (SO5DA)
Which I believe is made by LG. The HP part number is 344860-001. Since this
is a DVD-ROM/CD-RW, I would like to replace it with a DVD+/-RW. Are the optical drives in laptops designed to only fit a specific make and model or is there a way to install a product not offered by the laptop manufacture.

A:LapTop optical drives

The drives themselves are usually fairly universal. It is usually only the casing and the facia that are different - and they are screwed on.
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi Folks,

Can someone please put me out of my misery? I'm referring to optical drives and compatible disc formats. I'm considering buying a new laptop and some have DVD+/-RW drives whilst others have DVD super multi-drives. What I want to know is what disc formats are compatible with each type of drive. So, that includes DVD and CD formats when used for either read/write operation. I want to be able to do all the usual things - install software from a DVD or CD, write to DVD or CD, play audio CDs, etc.

Just a few years ago, it was oh so simple when there were fewer formats.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

A:Confused over optical drives

Actually I think its easier these days than before because most CD-DVD read write drives come compatible with whatever basic variant. Some will argue that a particular format is more compatible than the other but I don't know about that. In the great olden days of the past it was more important becuase there were drives that only worked with one format and so when a person picked up a new drive it was wise to get the same format compatibility already in use so there weren't two stacks of CDs or DVDs sitting around, one type for one drive the other for the other, never the two should mix.

Now that doesn't matter, buy a good format-agnostic drive (or computer with a drive), buy good quality media and you're good to go 98.8% of the time.

The exception(s) is if you need or want a more specialized use of the drive such as DVD-RAM or to use it as a LITESCRIBE drive. Those capabilities you would have to look for in the specs of the drive. Otherwise, like the Big Bertha, its grip it and rip it, or write it, or read it...its all gooood.
Relevancy 55.9%

Hello Everybody Sorry I Drives Lost Optical Haven t Wrote In Awhile I ve Come Across A Very Serious Problem That I Need Help With Briefly I m Running An Asus Motherboard Pentium Single Core Gigs Of Kingston Ram Audigy Sound Card Ati x Video Card Sony Dvd Burner Sony Rom Sony Floppy And Ahp Dvd External Copier Hooked Up By Usb First Of All I Had Swapped The Video Cards Taking Out An Ati Pro And Putting In The x Card I Dumped All The Drivers And Software Lost Optical Drives On Both Computers First Did The Swap And Reinstalled All Software Both Systems Ran Perfect Turned Them Off And Went On My Business About Weeks Lost Optical Drives Later I Fired Up Both Systems And The Other System Now With The Ati Pro Works Perfectly This System Now With The Ati x Came On And Suddenly Could Not See Any Optical Drives The Bios Sees Them But My Computer Doesn t I ve Updated Drivers Uninstalled And Reinstalled Drivers Gone Into Safe Mode no Change The Hp Dvd Writer That Is Hooked Up To The Usb Can t Be Seen Either I Need Help Folks nbsp

A:Lost Optical Drives

Hey Larry,
did you get this resolved?
Relevancy 55.9%

i been reading about these things for over an half of a year. can anyone with first person experience tell me if they are any better than an IDE optical drive

A:SATA optical drives

No they are not better... about the same, with similar short term reliability of about a year or less. But they are easy to install, and are nearly necessary on installing some motherboards. They cost more to install because the cables are generally more expensive. Should be $3.50 for the necessary SATA cable, but a lot of places are charging $8.95 to $12.50 for them. I have not seen any that come with the SATA cable.
Relevancy 55.9%

I was cleaning out my hard drive and streamlining my startup files and when I was done neither of my optical drives worked CDRW and DVD RW - both Buslink Neither of them show up in quot My Computer quot and optical drives! reinstall my Can't both have yellow s next to them in the device manager At first when I clicked on them in the device manager I got Error The advice in the troubleshooter was to uninstall them and then go through the add new hardware wizzard I did this and they are back in the device manager with the s by them but now I get this error message Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information in the registry is incomplete or damaged Code Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device The advice in the troubleshooter is the same and I ve tried this twice Any ideas I also tried rebooting twice and reinstalling the drives but when the show up on the list of uninstalled hardware I click on them and am back where I Can't reinstall my optical drives! started Thanks so much in advance for your help Mike nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

I just noticed I don t have my optical drives I went to look at some files on a CD and noticed the drive letters under My Computer weren t there I seldom access my optical drives so this situation may have existed for quite some time without my notice They light up when I open the doors and seem to run They seem to go through the POST check lighting up in sequence I turned the computer off and reseated the connectors but they seemed fine Nothing loose This didn t help They are no longer in Device Manager and when I run quot Add New Hardware quot to re-install the drivers it doesn t find anything new to install Belarc Advisor doesn t Disappeared Have Optical Drives see them either I have a DVD CD-ROM read write drive and a CD read write Also Optical Drives Have Disappeared a floppy which is fine Everything else seems fine except for these two disappeared drives I ran Spyware Doctor and AVG virus and AVG spyware earlier today after doing the MS patches also did disc cleaning and defragging It could have something to do with the patches There was nothing found by the anti-malware programs except the usual tracking cookies It s unlikely that both optical drives have failed at the same time besides they both appear to be working and the computer appears to recognize them during the POST Trying to find the drives using a DOS command prompt nothing except the two partitions on Optical Drives Have Disappeared my HD and the show up Anyone have any ideas This has to be something simple I Optical Drives Have Disappeared have a rather weak Dell Watt PSU but it all worked fine before - so unless the PSU is slowly failing I don t think that is it but it could be I ve made no recent changes to my system Could it be the new patches have done something terrible Thanks Mike nbsp

A:Optical Drives Have Disappeared

Are they enabled in BIOS?
If these are IDE/ATA, are the jumpers set correctly (Master/Slave)?
Relevancy 55.9%

i recently upgraded my computer i put in- asus sli deluxe mobo athlon geforce gt antec neo power watt psu during the upgrade i life all of the optical and hard drives on their same ide channels with their same settings after the upgrade my optical drives stopped working on help! pc! optical my reboot drives my secondary ide channel i had a plextor cdrw premium set as the master and a samsung TS-H U dl dvdrw set as the slave THE PROBLEM - when i put a disc into help! optical drives reboot my pc! either of the optical drives my help! optical drives reboot my pc! pc reboots after about seconds things i have done since- -switched drives to different master slave settings -taken the cdrw drive completely off of that channel and made the dvd rw the master -checked the device manager which still tells me that the drives are quot working properly quot does anyone know what this could be one person said to check and see if the v line of my psu was too weak it shows that line getting about volts anyone nbsp

A:help! optical drives reboot my pc!

So now you have this Brick yes?
IDE 1: C=Primary Master. CDRW=Primary Slave
IDE 2: DVDRW=Seconday Master
Forget about the drive letters for the mo.
Have you tried Cable Select on the dvd
Relevancy 55.9%

I'm having big problems with both of my optical drives:

1) TSST Corp DVD+-RW TS-H553A original drive in my Dell E521.
Currently it won't work at all - wont recognize any disk placed in carrier.

2) Lite-on DVDRW SHM-165S6S
Recognizes audio cd's, data cd's and dvd movies, but fails to recognise dvd recordable disks.

I can't seem to find a driver for either in case that was the problem.

Don't know if the info is also required, but graphics driver is ATI 2dvag (6.14.10
6618) - 256 MB Radeon X1300pro.

I would really appreciate any help.
Relevancy 55.9%

I m wanting to put together a new system using a matx motherboard along with a SATA hard many not drives Why SATA available optical drive together and two SATA DVD drives--one a combo burner reader the other a reader player only if they in fact make a reader-only drive When I looked on a few sites to check pricing and specs I only see a relative few SATA optical drives available compared to PATA optical drives Why is this the case especially since SATA hard drive offerings seem to be about as numerous as PATA hard drives Is there some sort of problem with SATA and optical If in the mean time I want to use my existing PATA DVD burner and reader drives on this new motherboard Why not many SATA optical drives available hooked up to a SATA hard drive will that Why not many SATA optical drives available pose a problem I would like to eventually go all-SATA but looks like I Why not many SATA optical drives available ll have to wait for the optical drive manufacturers to catch up with the hard drive manufacturers for more availability to choose from Though I haven t checked out all the optical drive manufacturers I did check a number of them and only units by Plextor nbsp

A:Why not many SATA optical drives available

It's all about supply and demand.. There is just no real demand for SATA opticals yet.

PATA is fast enough to cater for the fastest optical drives and with SATA ports still being scarce on most motherboards, it is better to spare those for hard drives and use the legacy IDE ports for optical.
Relevancy 55.9%

I have an Acer 5100. I have only used the dvd drive once and it worked fine. When i tried to use it again it would not open any CD or DVD I tried. It has Matshita DVD-Ram UJ-850S ATA device and the error message I got when I looked it up in the device manager was:
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39). My question is...will the fix you posted here work for me also? I am running Windows VISTA. I have tried updating the driver online and it gives me the messege: the best driver software for your device is already installed.

A:Missing optical drives.

Even though it appears you're having the same problem, please start a new thread when you have a new issue. It's very difficult to keep two problems straight and who's working on what in a single thread.

I've created a new thread for your issue here.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Download CDgone, right click on the downloaded file and choose Extract All, then double-click on cdgone.reg Say "Yes" to the merge question and then reboot. See if the drives have returned. You may have to re-install CD burning applications, since they're the ones that tinker with the filter setting in the registry that caused the drives to disappear.
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi, I've just built my own PC for the first time. It has a SATA HDD (Western Digital WD400), a DVD/RW (Pioneer DVR-109) and a DVD-ROM (Pioneer DVD-120RD). My motherboard is Asus P5GD2 Premium. The HDD is connected via a SATA cable in the SATA1 connector in the motherboard, and the optical drives are connected via an Ultra ATA ribbon cable in the Primary IDE RAID connector. The jumpers are currently set as thus: HDD - cable select, DVD-ROM - slave, DVD/RW - master; although I have already tried swapping them around. When I turn the computer on, it does an IDE scan and detects the DVD/RW and DVD-ROM as being 'Drive 0' and 'Drive 1' respectively. It doesn't show the HDD. Then when I go into the BIOS, only the HDD appears, as 'Third Master IDE'. Because it doesn't detect the optical drives, I can't install WinXP. What's going on?!

A:Optical drives not detected in BIOS

Try setting both optical drives to CS (Cable Select) then connecting them back up. That way it doent matter where on the cable you put them. I had the problem once where I had the slave on the end of the cable and Master in the middle. It didnt work. The drives showed up on the post check, but not in bios. These were Hdd's but should be the same thing.
Relevancy 55.04%

Running W HP on an old home built pc with an Intel mobo D BG g ram Great running optical drives. boot PC after won't unplugging the hardware for XP PC won't boot after unplugging the optical drives. No boot delay in XP Upgraded flawlessly to runs PC won't boot after unplugging the optical drives. fine No problems at all with OS Two g Maxtors cable select first ribbon position each on primary the boot drive amp secondary channels DVD drive amp CD drive cable select second ribbon positions Upon bootup real quick to the quot Starting Windows quot with the swirly stuff Then suddenly the red light goes off and the bootup stalls for one full minute It then resumes on it's way to the desktop Performed a boot with logging and did a printout Then I booted in Safe Mode to see where the stall is Rips along until CLASSPNP SYS shows Then the minute then it continues The driver that loads after CLASS is cdrom sys It loads successfully after the minute delay I figure one of the optical drives may be dodgy so I unplug the power to both to see if the problem goes away Now the pc won't boot at all - boot failure error Curious Wondering if pinning the pieces master amp slave may help

A:PC won't boot after unplugging the optical drives.

It might pay you to check your boot settings in the system BIOS.

If necessary, change the first boot device to your hard drive, and then see what happens when you reboot.
Relevancy 55.04%

I am running windows XP home with all the latest updates I have optical drives that will not recognize any media until AFTER I start Nero then both drives work flawlessly I have checked Device manager-no problems Removed the upper and lower filters-no effect Uninstalled and reinstalled drivers-no effect Checked all of the auto run and auto play registry entries- all good Immediately after starting Nero both drives work perfectly Before Nero is started both drives think that what was inserted was blank media The same media recognize optical drives any not media plays perfectly after Nero starts This condition started after a major system crash and eventual system restoration Before that optical drives not recognize any media everything was working fine Also before the big system crash I was using final uninstaller to remove many program remnants I have spent optical drives not recognize any media days researching this and any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated This is really importatnt to me because I need them to work during boot up to recover a drive As a follow up for the key HKEY LOCAL MACHINE SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Control Class D E -E - CE-BFC - BE The default is listed as quot value not set quot Is that correct Thanks in advance for any help anybody can offer
Relevancy 55.04%

Windows 7 on a Dell 745 Optiplex
sony DB-ROM BDU-X10S ATA Device (Code 19)
Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)
Help is appreciated.
South Texas

A:OptiPlex 745 does not recognize optical drives

(SOLVED)  All credit to the Author listed below;
 designerwood 2.PNG   94.77KB
Author - Caruda
This is a common problem that has existed in several versions of
windows. You essentially have a registry error that is causing your
Optical Drive not to work. Follow the steps below to fix your issue.
1) Close all open programs
2) Click on Start, Run, and type REGEDIT and press Enter
3) Click on the plus signs (+) next to the following folders
4) This folder is the DVD/CDROM
Drive Class Description in the
registry. Look for any of the following names in the right window
5) If any of the above keys shown in step 4 are listed, rightclick
on them and choose Delete
6) After deleting the keys, close the Registry Editor
7) Reboot your computer
8) Open My Computer and check to see if your CD or DVD drives
have returned. You may also want to open Device Manager and
verify that the yellow exclamation and error code on the CD or
DVD drive is gone
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi gang Under hidden devices in Device Manager I spotted ASPI with an exclamation mark about a week ago Didn t know what it went too when I seen it Now I checked gone for drives Auto both Play optical it again and there is no exclamation mark but it s disabled During this time I tried my XP Pro Recovery disk in each drive and it won t copy the files for a reinstall of windows like normal These disc s are not scratched I have two from Manufacturer I noticed Auto Play is gone from context menu for both drives These XP Pro disc s always worked before When I put a disc with data on it a menu would come up and ask if I wanted to chose Music View Folders Take No Action and I would choose View Auto Play gone for both optical drives Folders It doesn t do that anymore This really bothers me because I do need to reinstall windows eventually here If anyone knows what I should Auto Play gone for both optical drives do please let me know Thanks Rilla P S- The drives are a Plextor A and a NEC A The NEC was just replaced by a tech in the middle of July nbsp

A:Auto Play gone for both optical drives

A couple of things you can try are, go to your device manager and right click on your optical drives, choose uninstall. Reboot your computer and Windows will redetect them.

If that doesn`t help, download the attached Autofix programme. extract it, then run the programme. It`s supposed to fix any autoplay issues.

Regards Howard
Relevancy 55.04%

I just to new install of vista on a new drive. I am having several issues now and the main one being that I can not get an optical drive to work. I have tried everything.

The drive shows up however upon loading a cd and trying to eplore it pops out the disc and say pleaswe insert disc. I have tried to different confirmed working sony optical drives (one dvd rw and one cd rw) both of these worked fine on xp and also work fine when trying them using a external case and usb 2.0

Need help, I am almsot ready to drop vista and go back to xp pro.

A:No optical drives working with VISTA need help

Did you install all the updates from Windows? Install any drivers for your optical drives from there websites?
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello all,
I was wondering about the magneto optical drives and how good are they for speed, cost etc vs say a CD-RW. I know that MO disks can be anywhere in capacity from 650mb to 9.12gig. And from what I read MO disks are very reliable. Does anyone here have one and what do you think of it? Is it just as good as CD or better. I would like to know all positives/negatives. I am thinking of getting one as a big backup soultion. Thanks in advance.

A:Wondering about magneto optical drives

With the cost of media and the drive, I'd buy a couple of 120gig hard disks and external USB cabinets. You can have two of them with the cabinets for around $200-250 if you shop the rebates.
Relevancy 55.04%

On my husband s computer I can create a shortcut to D or E in My Computer and the icons still in there work fine but after I drag a shortcut to the desktop I get the message quot The item X that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved so this shortcut will no longer work In the case of the floppy drive and an external zip drive I did exactly the same thing and the shortcut is still working but for the CD-ROM drive and the CD-RW drive sometimes the shortcut works for a brief time and then goes bad or--most of the time--it is bad from the beginning This is obviously not an urgent problem but I sure would like to fix it Does anyone have a suggestion Dell Dimension Pentium GHz GB hard drive RAM WinXP Home SP Drive IMG VPO Drive Maxtor E L I think this is the CD-ROM and Drive is CD-RW When my husband first got the computer years ago the CD-ROM drive didn t work and Dell sent someone out to replace it Even now this drive is sometimes unresponsive but we can get it to work by clicking on the icon again one or two times If anyone knows why this is we would like to know that too nbsp
Relevancy 55.04%

Neither of my optical drives are detected at boot If I have only the hdd master on primary IDE connected it will boot fine But when I connect either or both drives no drives at all are detected and boot fails Here s the sad story I used to have a CD-R W set on cable select on the secondary IDE cable It be detected won't optical drives Solved: worked perfectly Then I swapped it for a DVD-R W same settings and it worked fine too The other day I decided to have both drives installed I connected them both on the secondary IDE cable still each set on cable select The DVD-R W would ve been in master position on the cable On boot the computer would try to detect primary master primary slave Solved: optical drives won't be detected secondary master primary slave and detect nothing for any of them If I disconnect the optical drives and have only the hdd connected it will detect the hdd as primary master as it s supposed to and boot Now it will not detect either optical drive on its own no matter what jumper setting I use I tried connecting the CD-R W and no hdd as primary master Solved: optical drives won't be detected but it didn t detect anything I tried setting the device type Solved: optical drives won't be detected in the BIOS for primary master and secondary master the CD-R W but that just caused it to look for the slaves and not detect any as expected and then say it failed to detect the masters A question for which the answer may be required to troubleshoot further Shouldn t the connected optical drive flash its light when the computer is powered on Neither drive does that but then maybe the light isn t supposed to flash until the device is detected I just can t remember and so don t want to discount the idea of the power supply being busted The connections and pins all seem fine They were all working until I connected both drives at once so I doubt they re causing the trouble I d be most grateful for any help I can t go too long without at least one basic optical drive I am using Windows XP Home if that is relevant and the motherboard is the ASUS P B -VM SOLVED The IDE cables were around the wrong way because they re miscoloured Grrrrr I found out by accident just a short while ago Thanks everyone who helped nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

I tried to install a game today then noticed that my dvd-drive wasn't shown which is odd because it was shown the last time I tried to use it I then plugged in my USB dvd burner which I use for my netbook and have used on this computer before it also didn't show up I then ran Daemon Tools figuring working.. not [SOLVED] Drives Optical I could just find a disc image somewhere and install using a virtual cd drive I then went to device manager under dvd cd-rom drives it listed my dvd-burner thats inside my computer the usb-dvd rom that was still plugged in and the daemon tools virtual drives each one had a yellow circle with a black exclamation point in it though I checked its properties [SOLVED] Optical Drives not working.. to see the device status and it listed this for each even the virtual drives Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware The driver may be corrupted or missing Code I then uninstalled then reinstalled all the devices that [SOLVED] Optical Drives not working.. did not work they still didn't show up in my computer I then tried to update the drivers for the usb drive and the built in drive which also did nothing I then downloaded drivers for my chipset and installed them and restarted still nothing showed up So that is pretty much everything I could think of I figured I would list it all here so you would know what I've already tried I'll now list all the system specs and such OS Windows XP Professional SP DVD Drive Asus DRW- B LT Motherboard GA-MA X-UD P CPU AMD Phenom II X Callisto GPU Nvidia GeForce GTX I don't know exactly when this problem started as I don't often use my dvd-drive But the fact that it can't ddetect my installed drive my usb drive or even daemon tools virtual drives leads me to think its not a hardware problem with the drive itself Any help would be appreciated Also its my first time posting here so I apologize if I've given too much information or too little

A:[SOLVED] Optical Drives not working..

Try removing the filters.
Relevancy 55.04%

Hey gang I am little stumped My main computer the mobo has three IDE channels In channel I have two optical drives one master one slave In I have a hard drive auxilary - the main hard drive is SATA Not All Optical Sudden. Of Working A Drives and is Optical Drives Not Working All Of A Sudden. blank I was shutting down the computer and I got a blue screen x C Optical Drives Not Working All Of A Sudden. was the error message I rebooted and now my two optical drives do nothing No lights No sounds They are not detected in BIOS I plugged them into no diff I changed the power connectors no diff Any ideas where to go with this or what happened If this sheds any light on it I have had a small issue for the past couple of days with my monitors I have two hooked up to a MB video card The two monitors take turns acting up And by acting up I mean the color is not exactly right or I see a small ghost etc I have a new video card and just figured I would swap them at some point but now this optical drive problem

A:Optical Drives Not Working All Of A Sudden.

Hi AF.
Bummer deal, doesn't sound good.
Do you have a multimeter?
I know you said you switched power leads but I would still check them.
On a standard 4 pin molex connector, yellow should be +12, red+5 and the two blacks ground.
I'm sure you've already checked out the error message and found it's driver related.
If your power leads check out ok, I'd try reinstalling the mainboard drivers.
If that doesn't work, the problem gets worse, if ya know what I mean.
Either the PS is failing under a load, data cable is shot or your mainboard went on a walkabout.
Relevancy 55.04%

I have had problems for a month Was just put back here as there was nothing to fix in my HighjackThis log file Was see drives. optical Computer doesn't told to run Windows XP CD Can't because computer won't read the disc Here is a link detailing Computer doesn't see optical drives. my woes up to now http www techsupportforum com show post Basically email amp Internet are the only programs I can use Can't copy to or read Computer doesn't see optical drives. from any drive No programs will run Trying opens up Firefox I need to know how to get the computer to read my Windows XP Home Edition CD so I can try a repair Optical drive is a x Lite One DVD -RW CD-RW Dual Layer Optical drive is a x DVD x CD-RW Lite On Combo Drive The floppy drive has the metal off of a floppy stuck in it so we can forget that drive for the time being I know there are lots of savvy people out there Someone has to know how to solve my problem Thanks in advance for any help It will be greatly appreciated Sorry not in money just in gratitude

A:Computer doesn't see optical drives.

You could try using a flash drive (memory stick, pen drive whatever you want to call them). Find a XP repair option and make it bootable from the USB stick and then configure the BIOs to boot from the drive.
Relevancy 55.04%

I recently purchased a DVR-RW drive from my existing computer which already has a DVD drive and a CDRW drive. First of all, is it possible to connect all the drives at one time. Currently I have the first IDE cable connected to the hard drive and the second IDE connected to the CDRW and DVD as Master and Slave respectively. I know that the DVDRW should be a master, but how should the other drives be connected.

Thanks for your help,

A:Correct config for 3 optical drives

You will have to put one of the drives as a slave to the hard disk. Depending on what kind of IDE controller you have you may lose HD performance unless one of your optical drives uses ATA66 or above.

The master device should be the one with highest priority so on the secondary IDE you should masterise the drive you will be using the most.

The drive sharing the cable with the HD should be the one you use the least so it wouldn't take away bandwidth from the HD.
Relevancy 55.04%

My friend has an issue with none of his optical drives showing up. Thet show up in device manager with error 39 but they are not in my computer.

What I have tried:
the reg fix where you remove the upper and lower filters but that had no effect.
copying the drivers from another computer but that did not help.
a new ide cable for the drives
an extternal drive but gets the same error.
change drives from cable to select to slave and master

Any one else have any suggestions? I don't really want to backup all his stuff and reinstall windows but if I have to I will.

Relevancy 55.04%

hello again guys,

i'm having problems with my brothers computer:

Gigabyte GA8ST667(-L)
Xp Pro sp3
80gb ide hdd
20gb ide hdd (both on ultra ata cable)

It wont display the Cd burner or dvd rom drives in 'My computer', POST, 'device manager' or anywhere else i look,

i've tried every combination of jumper and ide position with no luck...

thanks for your time people..

Relevancy 55.04%

Simple question here guys,
Are there any differences between these two Pioneer OD DVR-219BK and DVR-219LBK?

I suppose one is Retail Box and the other OEM but that's just my thinking because I couldn't find any info about it so..

A:Is there any difference between these two Pioneer Optical drives?

Hi TheTemplai.
DVR-219LBK has LabelFlash: Allows users to create custom labels by utilizing the drive's laser to burn images onto blank CD or DVD LabelflashTM media RoHS Directive & WEEE Directive Compliant.
DVR-219BK doesn't.
Hope that helps!
Relevancy 55.04%

Can somebody suggest me which is better sata or IDE optical drives? plz asap coz i am thinking of buyin one.......but lot confused with these things.......thanks in advance.....

A:Can somebody suggest me which is better sata or IDE optical drives?

What available empty connections do you have on your motherboard ? IDE or SATA ?
Relevancy 55.04%

hi recently replaced an optical drive as i thought it was a shagged cdrom but basically ANY DISC i put into the computer they have stopped running automatically so you go into my computer and you see the icon has changed for the correct cd i just put in SOMETIMES nothing? discs, drives windows the see does but optical the computer will not let me into that cd to view files SOMETIMES it will get as far with a game as the 'install play etc etc' screen that pops up relating to the disc - so you click something and the optical drive does absolutely nothing further windows registers sod all and basically the pc acts like there is nothing there optical drives see the discs, but windows does nothing? after when i bought the new cdrom drive i managed to install battlefield ok optical drives see the discs, but windows does nothing? and then went to install red alert and all the other games and the computer started exactly the same crap as before you can hear the drive initially fire up the disc the quiet stage you see the icon in mypc change ok and thats it i get absolutely nothing else and that is from ALL discs now - so i established that the optical drives are perfectly fine and are not the prob here its something else somewhere anyone know whats going on cheers max

A:optical drives see the discs, but windows does nothing?

i do have to mention, every time windows updates major things about windows, it stuffs something up badly and im having to put up with something not working lke it should till windows gets another update fixing it. BEFORE i replaced my motherboard, and everything except the hard drive basically, the computer now and then within a month started being a dick with my games, before it was just red alert and a few older games, but battlefield series was ok. but then eventually the pc stopped running any discs at all. but it was all GRADUAL. so im a bit stumped now lol
Relevancy 55.04%

I noticed today that my office workstation suddenly is showing a Code error quot A driver service for this device has been disabled An alternate driver may be providing this functionality quot for drives Code both getting optical 32 on Suddenly both of my optical drives The two drives are Philips DVD -RW DVD ATA Device TSSTcorp CD-RW Suddenly getting Code 32 on both optical drives TS-H C ATA Device Now I really don't read or burn CD's or DVD's all that much at work so I don't know how long it's been like this I just happened to notice the yellow triangle showing on my computer's icon in Devices amp Printers I've always had problems with the CD drive and never use it at all actually I always read or write both CD's and DVD's in the Philips drive The machine is a Dell Precision workstation coming up on years old at the first of the year - two dual-core Xeon GHz proc's - OS upgraded last year to Win Professional -bit - memory upgraded last year to x GB memory GB total I last used the DVD probably a couple of months ago and it was fine then Now the drive letters don't even show up at all I went to Explanation of error codes generated by Device Manager in Windows XP Professionaland checked on Code tried uninstalling and reinstalling the devices nothing Tried updating the drivers nothing Windows says the drivers are up to date I tried downloading and running some Microsoft Fix It troubleshooting program and all it did was detect the issues but didn't do jack to fix it I tried Suddenly getting Code 32 on both optical drives clicking on the link on the page above to get some instructions about checking and or changing the device start type in the registry but the target page Suddenly getting Code 32 on both optical drives doesn't seem to exist anymore and it takes me to this Windows Server Resources index page instead Windows Resource Kits - Web Resources I also checked System Information gt Components gt CD-ROM and here is what it tells me Drive Not Available Description CD-ROM Drive Media Loaded No Media Type UNKNOWN Name TSSTcorp CD-RW TS-H C ATA Device Manufacturer Standard CD-ROM drives Status Error Transfer Rate - kbytes sec SCSI Target ID Not Available PNP Device ID IDE CDROMTSSTCORP CD-RW TS-H C DE amp A A amp amp Driver c windows system drivers cdrom sys KB bytes - - PM Drive Not Available Description CD-ROM Drive Media Loade d No Media Type UNKNOWN Name PHILIPS DVD -RW DVD ATA Device Manufacturer Standard CD-ROM drives Status Error Transfer Rate - kbytes sec SCSI Target ID Not Available PNP Device ID IDE CDROMPHILIPS DVD -RW DVD D amp A A amp amp Driver c windows system drivers cdrom sys KB bytes - - PM Anyone have an idea what I can do I'm no stranger to registry edits so if I knew which keys to look for that would be great

A:Suddenly getting Code 32 on both optical drives

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

Can do it following the manual instructions, or use the automated Fixit.
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello I am using Windows Windows not IDE Working Drives 7 Optical in bit ultimate I am pleased with everything in Windows except this IDE Optical Drives not Working in Windows 7 one problem I am having My two SATA burners are working fine but my two Pioneer IDE burners are not reading or writing with Windows working fine with XP bit My specs are ASUS M N-SLI Delux ACPI BIOS Rev Phenom Windows bit Ultimate Pioneer DVR- D IDE Firmware gb RAM Nvidia gt PCIE graphics I originally thought it was a burning problem so I copied the log from ImgBurn from a failed burn even though I have found they do not read either I have tried different IDE cables and have tried setting them to Master Slave and Cable select same problems ASUS M N-SLI Delux ACPI BIOS Rev Phenom WIndows bit Ultimate Pioneer DVR- D IDE Firmware IMGBurn Log Quote I Average Write Rate N A - Maximum Write Rate N A I Operation Started I Source File E test iso I Source File Sectors MODE I Source File Size bytes I Source File Volume Identifier Saint I Source File File System s Special I Destination Device PIONEER DVD-RW DVR- D H ATA I Destination Media Type DVD-R Disc ID CMC MAG AM Speeds x x x x x x I Destination Media Sectors I Write Mode DVD I Write Type DAO I Write Speed x I Link Size Auto I Lock Volume Yes I Test Mode No I OPC No I BURN-Proof Enabled W Write Speed Miscompare - Wanted KB s x Got KB s x I Advanced Settings - Optimal Writing Speed No I Filling Buffer MB I Writing LeadIn W Failed to Write Sectors - - Reason Unknown ASC xA ASCQ x W Retrying of W Retry Failed - Reason Unknown ASC xA ASCQ x W Retrying of W Retry Failed - Reason Unknown ASC xA ASCQ x W Retrying of W Retry Failed - Reason Unknown ASC xA ASCQ x E Failed to Write Sectors - - Reason Unknown ASC xA ASCQ x I Synchronising Cache W User opted to skip the 'Close Track Session Disc' functions E Failed to Write Image E Operation Failed - Duration I Average Write Rate N A - Maximum Write Rate N A Here is the error message that pops up

A:IDE Optical Drives not Working in Windows 7

1 You could update your bios to the latest version 1002 BIOS for M2N-SLI :

ASUSTeK Computer Inc.

Select downloads - type in w764bit for the OS - the easy way to update the bios is to use ASUS Update V7.12.03 -its in bios utilities - download the file to your desktop install the program - select update from hard drive then browse to the file.

2 You could update the pioneers firmware :

Pioneer USA - DVD Computer Writers

You could just use your sata burners - I think it would ok to update your bios and pioneer firmware, but couldnt guarantee any improvement. If this is your only problem you could consider yourself lucky.
Relevancy 55.04%

I had an interesting problem yesterday. I'm sure some of you have heard of this, I was getting slow burns on my CDRW and went into device manager to look at the settings. The setting for my CDRW which I have installed on the secondary IDE channel was PIO! The default on the CDRW was set for DMA if available. I thought I had a BIOS setting off so I warm booted and looked, all settings were good for DMA.

I was stuck in PIO mode on the optical drive! I later discovered by searching the web for this problem that XP has a habit of defaulting to PIO to cure software call faults, one of the little fail safes that keep XP running I assume. The cure was easy (a workaround) rather than edit the registry I uninstalled the IDE driver and cold booted. XP reloaded my Intel chipset driver and bang fast burns again.
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi, I've just built my own PC for the first time. It has a SATA HDD (Western Digital WD400), a DVD/RW (Pioneer DVR-109) and a DVD-ROM (Pioneer DVD-120RD). My motherboard is Asus P5GD2 Premium. The HDD is connected via a SATA cable in the SATA1 connector in the motherboard, and the optical drives are connected via an Ultra ATA ribbon cable in the Primary IDE RAID connector. The jumpers are currently set as thus: HDD - cable select, DVD-ROM - slave, DVD/RW - master; although I have already tried swapping them around. When I turn the computer on, it does an IDE scan and detects the DVD/RW and DVD-ROM as being 'Drive 0' and 'Drive 1' respectively. It doesn't show the HDD. Then when I go into the BIOS, only the HDD appears, as 'Third Master IDE'. Because it doesn't detect the optical drives, I can't install WinXP. What's going on?!

A:Optical drives not detected in BIOS

ok. you have 1 hdd via sata correct..

why not use both ide channels for your optical drives.

set them both to cable select and put them on their own IDE cable
Relevancy 55.04%

I can really use some help before I start banging my head on the table So it started like this I had an aging computer that was no longer adequate to my standards however everything worked fine even when I installed the windows pro update from a Vista installation Since then I have retired the PC to my parents home which for them is actually an upgrade The only difference now is that I had them get their own copy of Windows Home The problem they are having IDE won't drives Sony Two burn optical which is now my problem is that the CD burner and the DVD burner both will not burn discs There is no option to burn them and upon inserting a blank cd-r both drives tell me quot Windows can't read disc in drive quot Here are some issue-relevant specs on the fore-mentioned PC Lan-party nf Ultra-D Motherboard Sony CD-RW CRX E IDE optical drive Sony DVD-RW DRU- A IDE optical drive Both drives are on the same IDE cable and the DVD-RW is set Master and the CD-RW is set to Slave Here is how the two drives are listed in the device manager Sony CD-RW CRX E Two Sony optical IDE drives won't burn ATA Device Sony DVD-RW DRU- A ATA Device I've noticed they are listed as ATA Devices though they are IDE This may be part of the issue but I cannot find drivers on Sony's site for their IDE counterparts and I have no idea what else to do short of buying new SATA drives if this is the problem I've uninstalled the drivers for the optical drives and had windows scan and reinstall them didn't work I've tried to update the motherboard drivers but n'vidia doesn't seem to offer nf chipset drivers anymore Instead I've gone to the length of installing modified drivers in hopes that it would help but it hasn't I found the quot Modded Driverpacks for Win Vista quot here Win Vista Optimized nForce Driver Packs amp bull nForcersHQ com I installed the quot Non-AHCI Performance Packs quot so if anyone has insight as to why I maybe shouldn't have done that I could use the knowledge Honestly it was a hasty uninformed attempt to fix the problem quickly but I still have the problem Normally I try and do fix these problems but I really need help on this one Either I'm forgetting something or the problem is out of my league Thanks for taking the time to read my post Help is enormously appreciated

A:Two Sony optical IDE drives won't burn

Hi Have you installed the chipset drivers for your motherboard? Regards
Relevancy 55.04%

Can anyone tell me if switching my optical drives from IDE to Sata will give me better read and write speeds? thanks

Relevancy 55.04%

I am not planning on purchasing a hybrid drive solid state and optical but I have heard much discussion about Thoughts Hybrid-SS/Optical Your Drives on this topic throughout these threads I also have a few questions regarding them First are they worth it The price is nearly more than an optical drive for only GB Your Thoughts on Hybrid-SS/Optical Drives of SS storage and the same amount of optical HD space Second what's the overall concept I get that one should load their OS System on the SS part of the drive for fast booting but is that it Why would having your OS boot up in under ten seconds be any more effective than having it boot up in or seconds Third how secure are Hybrid SS Optical drives Is the SS part more secure than the optical part So my overarching question is this shouldn't we wait until the price of SSDs comes down before we start using them Are hybrid-SS Optical drives simply a way to give consumers bragging rights about having a SSD Is it just a marketing ploy and a way to make more money

A:Your Thoughts on Hybrid-SS/Optical Drives

It gives you quite a few of the benefits of having an SSD, but also providing more storage space. A coworker of mine put one into one of his machines recently. He said, "it doesn't perform as good as my 80GB X-25M G2 SSD, but it's far better than the mechanical drive that it was replacing".

Looking at NewEgg today, a 320GB hybrid drive is running $99. That's reasonable. A 320GB hard drive at NewEgg is like $ it's 2x the price. They are great for laptops where you want more speed from the drive, but since you usually only have 1 hard drive need a single drive for storage.

You don't see the SSD portion and the standard portion separate. The drive determines what gets read the most and places those bits into the SSD part so that you get the fastest reads possible and the stuff you access most often. It performs all writes directly to the mechanical portion.
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi Guys First post here so please allow me to make a few mistakes Right 2 Windows 7 not with optical working drives ill get straight to the point I bought Windows Professional today and I have installed the bit version Nothing went wrong at all in the install process and its working fine apart from 2 optical drives not working with Windows 7 this little BIG issue Both my optical drives are not working correctly I insert a disc and it spins up like normal No autorun happens so I go to quot Computer quot and I can see that windows 2 optical drives not working with Windows 7 has recognised the disc is there as it says the amount of space of the disc and information like that No name appears to replace the quot DVD RW Drive quot though Now if I double left click on the drive that its in windows just sits and thinks forever and only when I eject the disc 2 optical drives not working with Windows 7 everything goes back to normal like nothings happened Now if I right click I get the same result but as soon as I eject the disc the standard right click menu appears for the drive Any ideas I hope thats understandable to you all My specs are as follows Intel Q Stock TPower i Motherboard gb x gb Corsair RAM ATI Radeon HD My optical drives I have had for a few years now one is a Lite-on DVD RW and the other is a LG DVD Anything more you need to know just ask Thanks Scott EDIT just as a quick test I inserted a DVD and it seemed to see it was a quot DVD quot and opened the standard media application on windows but then it almosted stopped reading and didnt load anything AHHH

A:2 optical drives not working with Windows 7

Quote: Originally Posted by SJMX

Hi Guys

First post here so please allow me to make a few mistakes.

Right ill get straight to the point. I bought Windows 7 Professional today and I have installed the 64bit version. Nothing went wrong at all in the install process and its working fine apart from this little (BIG!) issue. Both my optical drives are not working correctly. I insert a disc and it spins up like normal. No autorun happens so I go to "Computer" and I can see that windows has recognised the disc is there as it says the amount of space of the disc and information like that. No name appears to replace the "DVD RW Drive" though. Now if I double left click on the drive that its in windows just sits and thinks forever and only when I eject the disc everything goes back to normal like nothings happened. Now if I right click I get the same result but as soon as I eject the disc the standard right click menu appears for the drive.

Any ideas?

I hope thats understandable to you all.

My specs are as follows:

Intel Q6600 (Stock)
TPower i45 Motherboard
4gb (2x2gb) Corsair RAM
ATI Radeon HD4870

My optical drives I have had for a few years now, one is a Lite-on DVD RW and the other is a LG DVD.

Anything more you need to know just ask.

EDIT: just as a quick test I inserted a DVD and it seemed to see it was a "DVD" and opened the standard media application on windows but then it almosted stopped reading and didnt load anything. AHHH!

Try the Windows 7 DVD, it worked during install, so you are sure it is ok.

See if that disk fails too, just to make sure it's not the disks.

It's possible that the lenses of the drives are dirty and need cleaning.

If that's the case you need to open the drives and locate the laser lens.
You can use alcohol on a cotton-stick to clean the lens.

Good luck.
Relevancy 55.04%

I recently replaced my power supply, i made sure everything got connected the right way, now when windows loads it doesnt detect my cdrw or my dvdrw. I went to bios and its not recognized in there. I have power to both my drives and the ide's are intact. I've searched everywhere on the net and can't find anything. Any help would be greatly be appreciated.

A:windows xp won't detect my optical drives

you've probably got your cables wired incorrectly. look for bent pins, not fully inserted plugs, or missing jumpers.
Relevancy 55.04%

Currently, I have 3 optical drives installed in my primary rig, and never paid too much attention, until now, because I have been doing a lot of work with all 3. The PATA is a Samsung SH-S202N, and the SATA are both LGs. All 3 seem to perform about the same, once a disk is actually running, but the Samsung consistently takes a lot longer for Windows to see, and frequently I have to run it more than once to get that to happen at all.

It is as though the signal coming from the Samsung is weaker than the LGs, and I'm wondering if this is due to brand quality, or is simply a trait of all PATAs, compared to SATAs? It is not as though I haven't had experience with other PATAs before, but I just didn't pay much attention, until now.

A:SATA VS PATA Optical Drives

Same thing happened to me last night, i have 2 DVD Burners, 1 SATA and 1 IDE, i was burning simultaneously 2 DVDs with the same content and i did notice that the SATA finished first, even though i started the IDE first... i don't know if it is because of the brand or the quality, but i'm leaning towards the connection, i guess SATA is somehow "faster" not sure though..

IDE: Lite-On

I was burning at the same speeds (4x), who knows? hehe..
Relevancy 54.61%

When I boot my pc it freezes on the boot unless i press F10 and select my primary drive. If I press F2 to get into my bios it also freezes. Once I get into windows (booting slower then normal) I can not see my optical drives. The optical drives are showing in the device manager however. HELP PLZ

My box: eMachine T6520 AMD 64 3400 with 2gb ram 2 hard drives and ati pci-e X800

Any ideas?

A:wierd boot and optical drives missing

Try resetting CMOS. Unplug the machine and remove the battery for 30 minutes or so. You can do it faster if there is a jumper on your borad for clearing it.
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi all I have this weird Win Win Disappearing optical of parts certain in 7 (DVDs) drives problem with my optical drives Both are DVD drives plextor DVD writer amp Asus DVD Blue Ray writer When I'm in Win Explorer both drives are non-existant they disappear When I'm in My Computer however both drives are present Attached are the screen caps that show this This Disappearing optical drives (DVDs) in certain parts of Win 7 all started after installing a new CPU cooler last week Before that I had no problems whatsoever with either drive This system's been running about two amp a half years now My System Win Pro Asus MoBo M A x w AMD CPU gb DDR RAM gb Nvidia GE Force ti by Asus in a PCIe x slot Western Digital tb drives black SATA III both single partitioned gb SSD SATA III originally single partitioned W mysteriously added a nd partition on a re-install drive E Plextor DVD drive SATA III Asus blue ray DVD drive SATA III When I ran WinRepair Tweaking com Wednesday I seen that it detected both optical drives as hidden so I made sure the boxes to unhide them were checked I was pleased I thought WR was going to fix my hidden drives problem Sadly though both drives were still hidden after rebooting Sadly I had to restore the registry Thursday due to a lag issue with my sound built-in on MoBo that appeared after running WR yesterday The sound lag disappeared after restoring the registry I ran WR with ALL recommendations which includes running it in safe mode I even had to learn how to go into Safe Mode on my system for the first time This should be a simple fix but I can't fix it Please help

A:Disappearing optical drives (DVDs) in certain parts of Win 7

By default Windows 7 hides a empty optical drive.  You can confirm if this is the case by inserting a disc in both drive, if this is the case both drives should now be visible.
You can change this to that the drive will always be visible by using the directions below.
1.  Click Start, Control Panel and then Tools.
2.  Click Folder options, and then select the View tab.
3.  Clear the Hide empty drives in the Computer folder check box and click OK.
Relevancy 54.61%

I had about or desktops laying around so I my work type drives optical of on No computer any decided to consolidate the better parts into one computer The trouble I had initially was that it would hang when trying to read the boot disk with a blinking cursor After an indefinite but long period of time it would give up and move along to the hard drive or show No optical drives of any type work on my computer the quot press any key to boot from this cd quot message I decided to switch the drive out The new drive didn t work I may have tried a third drive but I eventually gave up on IDE drives and hooked up an external enclosure IDE to usb with a dvd drive in it Same deal as before Incidentally The sata hard drive had xp on it that I could boot into and I tried transferring the setup files from within the os but it would eventually fail The drive will also fail to read the disk after a number of minutes if it boots from disk I tried a number of drives in No optical drives of any type work on my computer the enclosure So now I m thinking the computer in general hates optical drives so I stick my usb drive with linux on it in and it also takes a while before giving me the option to boot from it It did boot but I didn t test much more than that After this I just start pulling things I disconnected all the drives and tried them one at a time and pulled all the ram but one good stick Finally I found a sata dvd drive and it had the exact same problem It boots from the hard drive fine seems to be reticent with my usb stick and absolutely hates optical drives Anyone have any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 54.61%

I have spent the past days non-stop trying to solve this problem My suspicions started off on the DVD-R drive I was using then moved to my motherboard then to my SATA controller drivers and now finally lie on Windows Vista itself dozens of hours of troubleshooting adding and removing hardware and re-installing Vista and XP led me to this conclusion Specs ASUS P W DH Deluxe E GB DDR GT Auzentech Xplosion Samsung S N SATA DVD-R The S N worked completely in XP In Vista it works quot almost quot completely The catch is that when you put a disc in the drive the volume label in Windows Explorer does not update nor does the drive icon or more importantly the right-click context menu Sometimes it recognizes data discs as blank because of this However either rebooting the system or simply logging out and back in even easier will quot force quot the drive to refresh volume label icon and all What's even weirder is that other software DVD copiers for example other than Windows Explorer WILL recognize the volume labels of newly inserted discs withOUT having to log out or reboot This supports my with and SATA Optical Problem Vista drives theory that it's Vista the file browser itself and not the mobo or the chipset drivers Vista CAN recognize the drive contents properly it Problem with Vista and Optical SATA drives does so every time I login It is scanning the drive in a certain way at login that it should be scanning it every time I insert a new disc or hit F and it's not More info to backup my theory that it has to be Vista related Mobo BIOS is up to date SATA controller ICH R drivers are up to date from Intel Vista is up to date SP other updates Firmware on my DVD writer is up to date AND I have even tried ANOTHER completely different SATA DVD writer Pioneer DVR- and the same thing happens This does not happen with an old IDE DVD writer I have Has ANYONE heard of this problem I've been searching everywhere and can't seem to find other people having it Thanks

A:Problem with Vista and Optical SATA drives

I have heard of SATA issues with Vista. I would try a different SATA optical drive.
Relevancy 54.61%

I have three optical drives two internal Sony Toshiba and one USB external Sony All three drives worked flawlessly under Vista Vista SP and Vista SP After installing Windows none of the three optical drives appear under quot Computer quot The drives are recognized in my system BIOS And my IDE controller acknowledges the drives on Boot Windows sees the drives in the Device Manager but puts the yellow icon next to each Details for each drive say the same thing the drive quot has been disabled because of compatibility issues with Windows Code quot Driver details for each say the same thing quot up to date quot I tried Optical Not Installing - Drives After Win7 Appearing updating the drivers After Installing Win7 - Optical Drives Not Appearing anyway and there was no change I After Installing Win7 - Optical Drives Not Appearing tried uninstalling the drives and rebooting so the OS could reload the drivers and there was no change I tried running the troubleshooter and it could not After Installing Win7 - Optical Drives Not Appearing fix the problem saying the drives quot have plug and play issues quot Please help Thanks

A:After Installing Win7 - Optical Drives Not Appearing

Hey there amiable1.

Aside from checking with the manufacturers that those particular optical drives will work with 7, you could check out this thread as this member had a somewhat-related issue.
Relevancy 54.61%

For no apparent reason, my computer (P III, 1G speed, 512 Meg RAM, W2K Pro) tells me that my optical devices (SAF CD Burner and LiteOn DVD) won't start. The error message indicates "incorrect environment." Nothing unusual has happened to the machine, which is left on 24/7. The BIOS indicates that it is willing to start the devices. W2K sees them. Their ready lights flash on POST. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling using Windows drivers. Nothing changed. The computer does a memory dump on reboot. What is going on?
Relevancy 54.61%

I have several DVD-RW drives connected via USB2. In most cases they are recognized by my various DVD/CD burning and multimedia programs (Roxio, CyberLink, WMP, etc...) but every so often I've run across certain applications that "see" only my internal drives. In such cases I have contacted tech-support and have **always** been told that their software is in fact capable of recognizing and working with USB2 drives. I'm wondering if there might be a registry value or some other setting that needs to be modified. Any help appeciated

Sony Vaio PCV-RS530G
Intel P4 @ 3.2 Ghz
1.5mb DDR

A:USB2 Optical Drives Not Recognized By Certain Apps

Usually I find this to be the case with applications opened before you plug in the USB 2.0 device try keeping the application closed until you plug in the USB device and then see if you see the drive. Sometimes its a simple as oging to the save dialog before its plugged in and closing out of the save dialog box and reopening it will "refresh it".

Have you tried these 2 options?
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi I optical drives Accessing external on computer? have a Dell Dimension which recently died of a failed motherboard It has two optical drives a floppy and a zip And yes I still sometimes find I need to access data off an old floppy or zip I would like to salvage these media drives for use Accessing optical drives on external computer? with my Toshiba laptop I know I can buy external enclosures Accessing optical drives on external computer? for the drives but with four of them the cost will begin to add up Plus I don t even know if enclosures for internal floppies and zips exist I was wondering if it would be possible to connect the laptop directly to the dead Dell and access the drives Although the motherboard is no good the power supply seems to be fine Basically the old Dell would be functioning as large powered enclosure for multiple drives If so how would I go about it I already have an Ativa data transfer USB cable if that helps Thanks H nbsp

A:Accessing optical drives on external computer?

No, you can't do what you are asking.

Does your Toshiba have an optical drive? If so you'd only need to buy an adapter/enclosure for the zip and floppy, but really I think it probably would cost the same just to buy ones that are already external rather than something to turn your internals to externals.
Relevancy 54.61%

When reading or burning or doing something that is related with the optical drives.
I have a dvd nec dvdrw drive and an samsung cdrw drive, they both make the problem accour. now i have this problem since forever the drives were changed and it still accour. the thing is when i open the processes tab there are no programs that are using any unusual amount of memory or cpu power. its just like something phantom. any toughts?

A:Computer and Sounds stuttering when using optical drives!

Hi and Welcome to TSF

Strange indeed

Plz explain when you say the drives were changed?
Are these both on the same IDE cable?