Windows Support Forum

Hard drive crashes caused by motherboard?

Q: Hard drive crashes caused by motherboard?

So I ve crashes caused Hard by motherboard? drive recently built a computer everything was working fine but after a month or so Hard drive crashes caused by motherboard? it started freezing randomly only fixed by restart Then on boot some hard drives would say they have bad sectors and Hard drive crashes caused by motherboard? failed SMART After a few weeks eventually the entire system crashed and would not boot on any of my drives I managed to get it boot on a CD and reformatted the SSD drive that the operating system was on I replaced the supposedly failing drives and things were looking good But it wasn t more then a week or two when it started freezing randomly again sometimes in the middle of activities sometimes when it was just left on And again saying the now brand new drive was failing though from everything I can tell it is not when I run disk checks from booting from a boot CD I m not expert so I have really am at a loss as to what to check I can t afford to keep replacing my hard drives and like I said it doesn t even seem to be actually true if I disconnect then reconnect the drive it seems to come up fine My suspicion is that either the SSD drive that the OS is on is causing the trouble or else its my motherboard Honestly I have no proof of either but I am pretty much out of my depth here Here is the general specs on my system Mother board ASUS P Z -V LK LGA Intel Z HDMI SATA Gb s USB ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS CPU Intel Core i - Sandy Bridge GHz GHz Turbo Boost LGA W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics RAM CORSAIR Vengeance GB x GB -Pin DDR SDRAM DDR Desktop Memory Model CMZ GX M X C SSD OCZ Vertex VTX - SAT - G quot GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive SSD Video Card EVGA GeForce GS GB DDR PCI Express DVI HDMI VGA l have severaI other hard drives internal and external attached most of them don t seem to have any trouble the one that consistently fails is always label E even when I change the physical drive out not sure if that means anything or not Any help would be much appreciated not sure where to even start honestly Let me know if I need to make anything more clearly Lucas nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Hard drive crashes caused by motherboard?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Hard drive crashes caused by motherboard?

they have bad sectors and failed SMART.Click to expand...

S.M.A.R.T. is enabled in the HD firmware. Failures at that level are purely hardware related. Such failures create bad sectors.

Q.E.D.:- the drive is just cr*p.

IMO, the motherboard could never create a HD failure - - while software can do so as well as bad user procedures
(eg sharing r/w a folded and two or more users opening the same file at the same time).
Bad disk drivers would easily be a contributor too.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-crashes-caused-by-motherboard.191721/
Relevancy 61.92%

Hardware is not my fort I m troubleshooting an drive by Hard or OS? Caused spyware? issue from miles of it s location My buddy is notorious for loading all kinds of crap on his laptop games shareware etc But he s honest with about the junk he loads And I help him because he begs and that s always a good time Sony Viao Laptop windows XP DSL net No installs for the past Hard drive or OS? Caused by spyware? weeks No hardware changes Surfing usual sites Hard drive or OS? Caused by spyware? only Out of nowhere scan disk ran on his XP system at boot Hard drive or OS? Caused by spyware? up Errors stating quot First allocation unit is not valid blah blah truncated blah blah quot I had him skip the scan and he was also getting various corrupt file errors classic tgcmd exe spyware etc and ran both TuneUp Utility and Spybot S amp D After reboot his scan disk ran for HOURS but subsequent boots have been scan free The only other thing of note is that he d recently done a GRRR windows update which doesn t seem able to complete now no biggie My concern is this Allocation unit error screams HARD DRIVE to me But I m a putz when it comes to A yeah yeah someday That would make sense if he had changed anything drastically especially hardware on his laptop But since he hasn t it makes me worry that he may have been or is being compromised I ve had him run tests on his ports on quot Shields Up quot and he fails on TCP and Telnet access basically hr crackwhores are harder to get into than his laptop Could spyware be the sole cause Or should I be following my nagging suspicions here and make him buy a router He s got XP firewall installed but uh MIRCO H T and other software firewalls aren t that hot either I ve had him activate security logging and will check that in a few days I ve suggested the router But I am still concernted about the first allocation unit error Think it s magically disappeared Somehow in my experience these things just don t seem to go away by themselves but I want someone to officially tell me I m crazy Just cuz I like to hear it nbsp

A:Hard drive or OS? Caused by spyware?

Ok, you're crazy.

The error message hasn't returned? It's worth doing a defrag too as this may error if there's errors on hd so you'll know yeh or neh.

If hd's ok run a sfc: command prompt, type sfc /scannow (note space) and it'll fix any corrupt system files from xp disc. If you want to know if anthing's been fixed after:
Click Start, Run, Type: eventvwr.msc and then Click OK

Click System

Then under Source find Windows File Protection (WFP) If there are only two entries, it means 1) It started 2) It finished.

If there are any more it means it has replaced a file. Just double click it to find out what it has done.
or there's a repair option:

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/rep... XP by Installing Over top of Existing Setup: and http://www.uea.ac.uk/itcs/software/xp/xprepair.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-or-os-caused-by-spyware.195776/
Relevancy 61.49%

First of all Hi I'm new to this forum and it looks like a great place So basically my computer has been acting very strange lately It all started a couple days ago when I needed to use internet explorer for a website to work properly Somehow it had been corrupted I believe I tried to uninstall it a long time ago and after trying over and over to reinstall it I caused hard I dead have think a virus, drive?? I may have found this tool http www majorgeeks com files details tweaking com repair internet explorer html I ran it and it I think I have a virus, may have caused dead hard drive?? fixed my internet explorer like a charm but this is where things started getting strange I started getting errors when opening programs my windows explorer not the browser started hanging up and it crashed once completely Then I noticed that my F drive which is my largest general storage drive was completely gone Windows can no longer recognize this drive in any computer I tried hiren's boot disk's tools and Ultimate boot CD tools to try to recover this drive Bios and the programs on these boot cds are able to recognize this drive but are unable to interact with it at all So after all that I ran a scan with malwarebytes and kaspersky total security both of which found issues I just did a scan days ago with no problems at all My computer is still acting generally strange It is more sluggish than it has ever been my cpu usuage is at a constant - and for some reason when I am playing a game or something typing will be super slow especially in skype It takes about minutes for it to type a sentence sometimes after I press the keys I really don't know whats going on could this be a virus that wasn't fixed with the scans And if a virus did cause my harddrive to fail is there any way to recover it Or is this all just coincidence and being caused because my harddrive just happened to fail I ran a scan with HIjackthis which is how I found out about this website I'll post the results Not sure if it will help or not Thanks in advance nbsp hijackthis log nbsp nbsp KB nbsp nbsp downloads

A:I think I have a virus, may have caused dead hard drive??

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps in the order listed.===Download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware from HereDouble-click mbam-setup-2.X.X.XXXX.exe to install the application (X's are the current version number).Make sure a checkmark is placed next to Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, then click Finish.Once MBAM opens, when it says Your databases are out of date, click the Fix Now button.Click the Settings tab at the top, and then in the left column, select Detections and Protections, and if not already checked place a checkmark in the selection box for Scan for rootkits.Click the Scan tab at the top of the program window, select Threat Scan and click the Scan Now button.If you receive a message that updates are available, click the Update Now button (the update will be downloaded, installed, and the scan will start).The scan may take some time to finish,so please be patient.If potential threats are detected, ensure that Quarantine is selected as the Action for all the listed items, and click the Apply Actions button.While still on the Scan tab, click the link for View detailed log, and in the window that opens click the Export button, select Text file (*.txt), and save the log to your Desktop.The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can also be viewed by clicking the History tab and then selecting Application Logs.POST THE LOG FOR MY REVIEW.Note:If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts.Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process.If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.===Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your Desktop.Close all open programs and internet browsers.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete.Click the Report button and the report will open in Notepad.IMPORTANTIf you click the Clean button all items listed in the report will be removed.If you find some false positive items or programs that you wish to keep, Close the AdwCleaner windows.Close all open programs and internet browsers.Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.Click the Scan button and wait for the process to complete.Check off the element(s) you wish to keep.Click on the Clean button follow the prompts.A log file will automatically open after the scan has finished.Please post the content of that log file with your next answer.You can find the log file at C:\AdwCleaner[Sn].txt (n is a number).===Download the version of this tool for your operating system.Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (64 bit)Farbar Recovery Scan Tool (32 bit)and save it to a folder on your computer's Desktop.Double-click to run it. When the tool opens click Yes to disclaimer.Press Scan button.It will make a log (FRST.txt) in the same directory the tool is run. Please copy and paste it to your reply.The first time the tool is run, it makes also another log (Addition.txt). Please attach it to your reply.===How is the computer running?Wait for further instructions.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/572921/i-think-i-have-a-virus-may-have-caused-dead-hard-drive/
Relevancy 61.49%

At the end of january I was on the web and all of the sudden firefox shut down My desktop background had been replaced with a blue damage can't get hard caused virus, of drive rid background with a black box in the middle telling me I had a virus and needed to by some software to get rid of it I was unable to change the desktop back ground can't get rid of virus, caused hard drive damage Also I noticed that after this incident there was a particular folder on my second hard drive I have two total that would crash windows explorer everytime I tried to open or even moved my mouse cursor over it in quot my computer quot This particular folder contains several gigabytes of music video and pictures most of which is not backed up I can't get rid of virus, caused hard drive damage have also tried accessing the folder with a rd party file explorer program and it crashes that program as well After running several different spyware programs I was able to get the blue screen with black box removed from my desktop background but it has been replaced with an error message saying my active desktop has been disabled even though I can t turn it on or off in the options menu and I am still unable to change the background Here is my hijack this log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system csrss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Symantec AntiVirus Rtvscan exe C WINDOWS system wdfmgr exe C WINDOWS System alg exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgamsvr exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy exe C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr Acrotray exe C Program Files MSI Live Update LMonitor exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgcc exe C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C WINDOWS system rundll exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Coast to Coast AM Media Center Coast to Coast AM Media Center exe C Program Files Electronic Arts EA Downloader Core exe C Program Files MSI DigiCell DigiCell exe C Program Files WinZip WZQKPICK EXE C Program Files Google deskbar- ggviewer exe C Program Files iTunes iTunes exe C WINDOWS system drwtsn exe C WINDOWS system drwtsn exe C Program Files Sygate SPF smc exe C WINDOWS system wbem wmiprvse exe C Documents and Settings Eric Desktop BSINSTALL- exe C Program Files VVSN VVSN exe C Program Files BearShare BearShare exe C Program Files Sony EverQuest II EverQuest exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Windows Media Player wmplayer exe C WINDOWS explorer exe C Documents and Settings Eric Desktop Privacy Software HijackThis exe O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - HKLM Run SmcService C PROGRA Sygate SPF smc exe -startgui O - HKLM Run Acrobat Assistant quot C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Distillr Acrotray exe quot O - HKLM Run LiveMonitor C Program Files MSI Live Update LMonitor exe O - HKLM Run Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer KHALMNPR EXE O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run AVG CC C PROGRA Grisoft AVG avgcc exe STARTUP O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run vptray C PROGRA SYMANT VPTray exe O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Fi... Read more

Relevancy 60.63%

I am getting an quot NTLDR is missing quot message on bootup but the origin of the problem is I think different from the other NTLDR problems I've see on on this and other forums because it is not related to the main system drive In fact when I remove the problem drive -- the E drive or in other words not the system drive -- the computer boots Different drive non-system issue: NTLDR by caused hard up Different NTLDR issue: caused by non-system hard drive fine I thought that perhaps that this two-year-old disk was dying or that there were some bad sectors but I've checked the disk for errors in Windows Properties gt Tools gt Check for Errors and have found no problem I've also tried different cables and SATA ports always with the same result Finally I tried a System Restore My other hard drives run fine And the problem drive reads just fine when I connect it through a USB hard drive deck I would prefer not to play with the Windows MBR since the system seems fine when I don't use the problem drive So here are some questions why am I having this problem Does a non-system drive have its own boot record or MBR that could be causing this problem If so is there some way of editing or replacing it Is there any other kind of fix that I'm not seeing Thanks

A:Different NTLDR issue: caused by non-system hard drive

Check your BIOS boot order.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/151980-different-ntldr-issue-caused-non-system-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello! My computer suddenly got a slow boot and it's caused by my 2nd hard drive and i've figured it out because i took off my 2nd hard drive then the boot time ran normal. And when i play games like Warcraft III while playing some music the game lag spikes (note that i'm only using my 1rst hard drive right now). Can someone help me with my problem or can it still be solved? if someone needs my specs ill fill you in later.
Thanks!

EDIT:I tried my 2nd hard drive with my old computer and it works perfectly fine.

A:Win7 startup 30+mins caused by hard drive

Check hdd health status with Crystal Disk Info and post screenshot here.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/396255-win7-startup-30-mins-caused-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 60.63%

This was on a Win PC but I think it would also apply to Win systems My son brought over his friend's quot sick quot PC last night It is a homebuilt water cooled AMD Phenom hard that failure drive caused crash to Interesting Win II x based system with GB of DDR RAM nVidia GTX video card Corsair watt power supply and a NZXT case DVD burners and SATA hard drives GB boot Windows GB data TB data built on a GigaByte GA- GA-UD H Rev motherboard The system would boot into Windows then randomly crash with a screen that was colored with lines all over it no BSOD's Sometimes the PC would crash when loading Windows and sometimes it would run for a few minutes and then crash I went into the BIOS and set it to quot fail safe default quot since I diidn't Interesting hard drive failure that caused Win to crash know if Interesting hard drive failure that caused Win to crash what the builder did with overclocking etc and started basic troubleshooting As I was about to hook up a know good WD Raptor hard drive from my bench to run diagnostics on the system we saw that the SATA data connector on the Seagate TB hard drive had broken off and the cable was just barely connected to the hard drive The plastic part of the SATA data connector was still in the cable and the bare data pins were showing at the rear of the hard drive This was a data drive not the boot drive BTW I powered it down removed the damaged hard drive and then powered the PC back up and all was fine no crashes or anything I hooked the hard drive to an external SATA hard drive caddy and played with it until I got my PC to see the drive NOT EASY and copied GB of data mostly games off the damaged Seagate hard drive I had not seen a case when the failing hard drive caused this type of problem in Windows and I wanted to share thus experience with your folks in case you're ever in a similar situation

A:Interesting hard drive failure that caused Win to crash

Thank you for the info Art. You never know when something like this might come in handy.

BTW how long did it take to transfer 900 Gbs of data? Man, I've never tried to do anything like before.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/18690-interesting-hard-drive-failure-caused-win-crash.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I have a new computer and my headphones are getting buzzing, i don't think this happened before i moved my hard drive, which i moved up. now it is much closer to the headphone jack than before could it be causing the static? it's still far away though

i added a psu to the computer as well for a gfx card, and the computer shut off sometimes when i plugged in a usb and once when i plugged in the headphones. once it booted up when i put a wireless card in. i didn't fry any circuitry did i?

A:Could buzzing headphones be caused by moving hard drive?

Detailed computer specs would help greatly.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/could-buzzing-headphones-be-caused-by-moving-hard-drive.754024/
Relevancy 60.63%

For more on this BSOD (Crash), please refer to C Drive Missing in Windows 10 - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums.

CINDY-PC-Sat_05_21_2016_173318_16.zip

A:BSOD: Possibly caused by Errors on Hard Drive. Not sure...

That link to the BSOD doesn't work. So I am uploading a new one.

http://www.tenforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/51031-bsod-possibly-caused-errors-hard-drive-not-sure.html
Relevancy 60.63%

I just installed a new cd burner and now develop a major problem. I have an older computer 366 mhz, 128 mb ram and 4.0 gig hard drive. When I first installed my cd burner I had 1.0 gig hard drive left. After each time that I burned a cd I lost about 100mb of disk space. After my last burning which was not successful, the computer froze and I had to abort while losing my file. I lost 600 mb of disk space after this. I tried to locate the file but couldn't. I am in the process of buying a new hard drive , but how do I prevent my hard drive from losing disk space after each time that I burn. I have been burning on the fly so that I can save my disk space. thank you in advance for any help.

A:cd burner caused missing hard drive space

What app are you using to burn CD's with? Sounds like your application isn't cleaning up after temporarily writing the data to disk? Most burner apps temporarily write to the hard drive first before writing it to the CD since the hard drive has faster access times. Check your program settings it is probably listed there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-burner-caused-missing-hard-drive-space.86346/
Relevancy 60.63%

Hello! My computer suddenly got a slow boot and it's caused by my 2nd hard drive and i've figured it out because i took off my 2nd hard drive then the boot time ran normal. And when i play games like Warcraft III while playing some music the game lag spikes (note that i'm only using my 1rst hard drive right now). Can someone help me with my problem or can it still be solved? if someone needs my specs ill fill you in later.
Thanks!

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/396255-win7-startup-30-mins-caused-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi Recently my internet connection was down so i used my brother s pc to do all my assignments and videos i didn t know that his pc is to hard files and hidden!!! database Virus caused all n be external Help!!! drive full of viruses and I ended up getting Help!!! Virus caused all files n database and external hard drive to be hidden!!! a virus called Trojan horse Generic GTK which caused all my files in my C D E amp external hard drive to be hidden Whenever I right-click the drive comes out at the top When I click on open the pc doesn t know what program to open it with I ran the AVG anti virus and it cleaned all the viruses but is still showing and I can t do anything coz my filles are hidden Please Help Me I have attached my hjt log below Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Symantec LiveUpdate ALUSchedulerSvc exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgwdsvc exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared VS Debug mdm exe C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C WINDOWS System UAService exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgam exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgrsx exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgnsx exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C WINDOWS ZSSnp exe C WINDOWS Domino exe C PROGRA AVG AVG avgtray exe C Program Files Yahoo Common YMailAdvisor exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Yahoo Search Protection SearchProtection exe C PROGRA Yahoo MESSEN ymsgr tray exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C PROGRA AVG AVG aAvgApi exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C WINDOWS System msiexec exe C WINDOWS System MsiExec exe C Documents and Settings Azrul Desktop HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http uk yahoo com R - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO WormRadar com IESiteBlocker NavFilter - CA F - F E- B -A E- E E C C - C Program Files AVG AVG avgssie dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO Yahoo IE Services Button - BAB B B- BC- B - D - FC DE A - C Program Files Yahoo Common yiesrvc dll O - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C PROGRA MICROS Office GRA E DLL O - BHO AVGTOOLBAR - A A -BACC- D - - A E E - C PROGRA AVG AVG AVGTOO DLL O - BHO SingleInstance Class - FDAD DA - A - FD - C - F AC - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn YTSingleInstance dll O - Toolbar AVGTOOLBAR - A A -BACC- D - - A E E - C PROGRA AVG AVG AVGTOO DLL O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - HKLM Run TkBellExe quot C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe quot -osboot O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run GrooveMonitor quot C Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exe quot O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKLM Run ZSSnp C WINDOWS ZSSnp exe O - HKLM Run Domin... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-virus-caused-all-files-n-database-and-external-hard-drive-to-be-hidden.762513/
Relevancy 58.91%

Seriously need help External hard disk causes hard drive failures amp OS crashes The thread is rather long Only read what you think important Skip the rest We have a serious but mysterious problem We have spent already one week but drawing a blank Two hard drives drive External failures & need causes disk crashes hard OS hard help] [Seriously have been crashed and failed unreadable One [Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes computer has hung a few times unexpectedly and had one weird restart no memory dump produced I suspect all the recent problems have to do with the new USB external hard disk Buffalo MiniStation Lite HD-PE [Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes U Formatting USB external hard disk Originally I would like to [Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes use the program given by Buffalo to format the external drive once but we failed We simply used Windows to reformat the drive into NTFS I did not use the TurboSpeed advertised by Buffalo or run its free program Case A Multi-transfer causes system crashes The first time we met the problem We were trying to help a friend to backup data on an old drive about a few years old We plugged in the Buffalo USB portable hard drive and transferred a whole lot of files to the drive Several cop cut-and-paste operations were active at that time The whole system completely froze up It doesn t respond at all Only a hard restart could help Restarted Tranferred again Several cop cut-and-paste operations were active Hard drive crashed - the beginning of the nightmare Windows restarted Chkdsk was running Saw many lines of messages with quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot Chkdsk run very long time perhaps a hour or so complaining that some couldn t be fixed some okay Initially I thought it was simply because it so happened that the hard drive failed in the middle of transfer But the same nightmare occurred when we tried to plug it into another computer Case B Open folder causes system crashes I plugged in the Buffalo USB external hard disk on a laptop computer I tried to check if transferred files were safe I have no ideas how to check but it looked okay Some files were transferred to and from the external hard drive I made sure only copy-paste operation was active this time Then computer hung for a while and displayed Blue Screen of Death I recorded the message on a piece of paper but it was lost later Restarted I believed chkdsk was automatically run and fixed some errors found not too sure about this I resumed the work I made sure only copy-paste operation was active this time The system hung this time when I double clicked on a folder to see what contents inside Another Blue Screen of Death popped up later KERNEL STACK INPAGE ERROR x xC E xC E x x C Info on this BSOF http support microsoft com default aspx scid kb en-us Q Computer restarted Chkdsk was automatically run Nightmare again quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot quot File segment record XXXXX is unreadable quot Chkdsk attempted to fix the problem but it complained quot not sufficient space quot Then I received STOP C a Unknown Hard Error Oh my gosh What s up I don t believe it so happened AGAIN the hard drive failed when some actions were performed between the hard drive and the USB external hard disk I started to feel something went very wrong Is it virus Case C Scanning for virus causes system crashes Searching on the net didn t find any case which was similar to mine I tried again on a new computer Fresh Windows copy New hard drive less than year old Only a handful of programs were installed I downloaded Avira and did on-demand scan for my internal hard drive first No virus was found Was I safe now I plugged in... Read more

A:[Seriously need help] External hard disk causes hard drive failures & OS crashes

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/seriously-need-help-external-hard-disk-causes-hard-drive-failures-os-crashes.840539/
Relevancy 57.62%

I got errors from Google that my computer had a virus but nothing I ran could find a virus then the machine would not boot It would get to point about the time windows tried to load and hit a blue screen When it rebooted it would ask if I wanted to boot normal or safe mode and then start the whole fail blue screen over I tried taking the drive out and connecting to my other machines as an external hard drive When the drive connects to my other machines it brings the other machines down hard - blue screen exactly as if I had tried to boot on crashes external Trying drive Hard - all connect as Crash to Drive the original machine The goal is Hard Drive Crash - Trying to connect as external drive crashes all to get the files off the bad drive I was just shocked that connecting it to my laptop or my other desktop took those machines down just like I was trying to boot the bad drive from the original machine I am open to suggestions on recovery of any kind The original machine is a Dell XPS Intel Core i - processor Windows bit The drive is a Seagate Tb The machines I tried to connect faulty drive to as external hard drive were both Win The external hard drive bay is Sabrent USB to SATA External Hard Drive Thank you

A:Hard Drive Crash - Trying to connect as external drive crashes all

There may be a couple of vectors to the virus. One for the boot sequence, another as an autorun in its root folder. I would try usb tethering the drive to a machine on which autorun or autoplay is completely turned off (as in, no exploration), or maybe better, run a Linux live session off a usb stick or dvd. I recommend LinuxLite.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/378112-hard-drive-crash-trying-connect-external-drive-crashes-all.html
Relevancy 56.33%

When i went to turn my comp on it wouldnt fully boot up.. all that happend was the fan was running... no beeping or anything.. so i thought it was my power supply so i put a brand new one in and went to turn on the comp and its still doing the same thing.. so now im thinking its either the mobo or hd.. i have no clue how to figure this out so if someone could help me that would be great...

A:Motherboard or hard drive?

I'm having the same reply as you. One thing I hope for me its the motherboard. It suck if it was the HDD. Have so much stuff on the HDD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-or-hard-drive.25987/
Relevancy 56.33%

I have a Dell XPS 4100 running Windows XP Pro with 2 hard drives 1)Western Digital(master) 2)Seagate(slave) both are 80 gig 7200 rpm. The problem I am having is this: When trying to access my Seagate drive a box popped up saying the drive needed to be formatted. It was already formatted to NTFS. When I tried to format another message said it could not be formatted. To make a long story short I somehow eventually was able to format the Seagate drive. Now when I boot up I get a message saying this drive needs to run check disk, which it does and then continues booting. I can write files to the drive but when I try to access them the PC will sometimes freeze. I purchased this drive about 6 months ago because a previous drive went bad. Can my motherboard be the cause of my drive issues? Thank you

A:Bad Motherboard or Hard Drive

Welcome to TechSpot

In PCs anything is possible, but I don't think the mobo causes it.
Rather, check the cables and the jumper-settings on the harddisks.
Those HDs would prefer a 80-wire flat-cable, rather than a 40-wire cable.
Check that the colourcoded connectors correspond to the instructions. Check that the red control-band is on the side of the connector where pin 1 is. Check all power-connectors.
Try another IDE-cable if you have it (or borrow one).
The first (WD) should be set to Master (or Master with Slave present), not to Cable-select. The second (Seagate) should be set to Slave, again not Cable-select.
Check in the BIOS that both HDs are recognised, write down their parameters.

In the Storage & Networking forum is a "sticky", get the HD-util for Seagate from there and run it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/bad-motherboard-or-hard-drive.16425/
Relevancy 56.33%

Here im like an amateur Technician I know a BAD MOTHERBOARD!? Bad drive? Hard lot of things although there's something that really questions in my mind These are like the performance of my PC Normally a hard drive can go like mb or more per second copying some files or something like that Installing Black Ops takes less than or minutes Loading a Counter Strike Source game takes around less than minutes or something like Bad Hard drive? BAD MOTHERBOARD!? that For some reason My friend's PC its like fried Back then he told me that its not that slow Of course i can see that it doesn't really seem to be so slow before After doing a format due to some reason that his PC became so slow kinda realized that something weird is happening to his PC Loading a Counter strike game takes like Minutes Installing Black ops took like an hour Loading a Modern Warfare Mission takes like minutes In the middle of battle takes like minutes Frame Rate was really damn smooth but its like when it reloads the sound file it takes like a minute to load it Mid Battle of some game shooting a shotgun one time sounded like BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZRRRRRRRRRRZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZT then another shoot was normal We did another format but it doesnt seem to budge One time his BIOS is telling him that his hard drive doesnt exist anymore in the system so No boot Next day i opened it and checked the cables and turned it on it now tells me that it does exist So Bad Hard drive or Bad motherboard

A:Bad Hard drive? BAD MOTHERBOARD!?

Have your friend run a diagnostic test on his drive.
It is best to use a diagnostic program from the drive's manufacturer.

However, I have found that Hitachi Drive Fitness Test works on most any hard drive.
Downloads
Use the bootable Linux CD.

If the drive comers out clean, then you can start to suspect the motherboard.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/162945-bad-hard-drive-bad-motherboard.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I had all the parts for my computer selected and then I noticed that the MB and the HD might not go together. Im not goog with campat stuff at all Im thinking of building a computer. Could anyone tell me if this Hard Drive will work with this motherboard?

MSI P4N SLI-FI Socket T (LGA 775) ATX Intel Motherboard

Western Digital Raptor WD740GD 74GB 10,000 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive

A:Need help with Hard Drive to Motherboard

Yes, they should work fine. The motherboard has 4 sata ports, and that drive will take one of those ports. The motherboard also should come with the data cable, so you're covered in that area as well. The thing to consider is whether your power supply has a sata power connector, like this.

There are also molex(4pin) to sata adapters, so even if you don't have one, you can get an adapter. Sata drives can sometimes be troublesome to setup, but I doubt you'll have problems with that board, as it's newer and name brand.
Good luck on the system.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-hard-drive-to-motherboard.35626/
Relevancy 56.33%

My one-year-old out-of-warranty HP Pavillion dv laptop Windows XP Home has been slow or unable to reboot so I m trying to diagnose it and figure out if I just need a new hard drive where can I find instructions on upgrading a hard drive on this laptop or have Motherboard Hard vs. drive to replace the whole laptop with a new Hard drive vs. Motherboard one One of the problems found was the hard drive was in PIO mode so I had to repeatedly switch it back to DMA mode using the DMA-to-PIO registry hack or remounting the hard drive This occurred weekly until I ran SpinRite then it stayed in DMA mode for a month What I think is relevant from my Event Viewer Log include atapi event s The device Device Ide IdePort did not respond within the timeout period atapi event s The driver detected a controller error on Device Ide IdePort a single atapi event The driver has detected that device Device Ide IdePort has old or out-of-date firmware Reduced performance may result I think this may just be a generic message when it gets too many errors cdrom event The device Device CdRom has a bad block disk event An error was detected on device Device Harddisk D during a paging operation disk event The device Device Harddisk D has a bad block ftdisk event The system failed to flush data to the transaction log Corruption may occur Recently the main hard drive went to PIO even though it crashed while trying to Hard drive vs. Motherboard burn a DVD strange huh was unable to reboot until I ran SpinRite The Event Log has a couple strange events Event Type Error Event Source Service Hard drive vs. Motherboard Control Manager The HP Pci Information service failed to start due to the following error The system cannot find the path specified Event Type Error Event Source Service Control Manager The following boot-start or system-start driver s failed to load PCIIde What is PCIIde and how to I correct this or should I just ignore it My guess is that quot hard drive paging error quot events probably point to a hard drive malfunction but I just want to make sure I m not missing a simple software issue PCIIde or something else easy battery problem Would appreciate opinions on whether you would replace the hard drive or buy a new computer Let me know if posting an entire Event Viewer log would be helpful Thank you so much nbsp

A:Hard drive vs. Motherboard

It could be a bad drive, a bad connection or a bad controller.

Ideally, you would take the drive out of your laptop and test it with the manufacturer diagnostic utility.

In reality, you could just take the drive out, clean the contacts, put it back in and do the diagnostics in this computer.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-vs-motherboard.71096/
Relevancy 56.33%

I m having trouble with my new system Drive? Hard or Motherboard The system is as follows Asus P N-D nForce i Intel E Core Duo ghz not overclocked gb of Ram x gb XFX nVidia GTX mb Motherboard or Hard Drive? - Latest Drivers Samsung gb SATA HD LG Optical Drive on ATAPI port Corsair w PSU External gb HDD on USB interface Vista x SP w all Updates I m getting these errors in my system log from disk or nvstor The driver detected a controller error on Device Harddisk DR A parity error was detected on Device RaidPort Reset to device Device RaidPort was issued I don t Motherboard or Hard Drive? use a RAID - I m running the Samsung gb drive that came with the system but this sounds like either a bad motherboard or a bad hard drive I m not willing to go out and buy a motherboard and or a hard drive to see if that s the problem so I m hoping you can help Please let me know how we can work this out ASAP I bought a nice new fast gaming PC so I d like to actually play a few games I ve ripped out and reinstalled the nForce drivers several times including using DriverCleaner in Safe Mode to really get rid of them I ve installed the previous version of the nForce drivers I ve disabled command queing and write caching I ve tried another SATA port on the motherboard I ve opened a topic on the iBuyPower forum where I bought the system recently in case there s more info there that might help http www ibuypower com ibpdri tm aspx m I don t want to run out and buy a hard drive in the hopes that that s the problem and I -really- don t want to swap out a motherboard for the same reason I need to nail down what the problem is or if it s just a software issue I somehow can t seem to trace Thanks in advance for any help you can offer nbsp

Relevancy 56.33%

this all started last saturday I woke up and i was hearing clicking coming from my computer I moved the mouse to get out of the screen saver and it froze up I restarted and windows xp pro wouldn t boot up maybe drive Hard then motherboard? it would just sit at the loading screen and i would watch the little blue thing go from right to left o o after that i restarted and got into safe mode to try and run chkdsk it stoped at and the system started to freeze up but i would move my mouse and move widows around but thats about it from there i rstarted Hard drive then maybe motherboard? again the drive no longer shows up on the ata onboard controller I took the drive to a shop and they ghosted the drive to a new one the guy mentioned that the drive was giving him some trouble and that it was definatly bad Anyway i got the new drive yesterday I plugged it into the same spot and all worked well until i was watching TV on the TV tuner card it started to freeze up again the tv was still playing but i couldn t do anything so i restarted and then couldn t get into windows then the drive didn t show up SO i moved the drive over to the primary IDE controller where i am now in safe mode cause windows xp still wont load this time is seems to hang after i log in and durring quot loading personal settings quot System specs Gigabyte PE Ultra onboard promise ata raid p ghz gb ddr pc radeon pro gb Western Digital hd system drive that originaly screwed up gb Western Digital hd another hard drive for storage gb Maxtor hd more storage x DVD-rom Pioneer DVD-rw all the harddrives are located on the ata onboard controller not using the RAID function the dvd-rom and dvd-rw are on the normal IDE controller Right now i have the two other drives diconected from the ata and also disabled it and have the system disk on the normal ide controller which seems to be working fine except getting into windows the system drive was on it s own cable while the other two shared one Also when the system drive wouldn t show up the other two did those other two drives don t seem to be harmed though My thoughts are part of the ata controller failed while i was sleeping and caused the original gb system drive to fail also Then with this new drive i caught it sooner My concern is that the rest of the motherboard will fail also and i will lose more then just another harddrive if it is the motherboard So here i am to see what you guys think and how i should go about fixing it i think i gave all the info but in this state of tiredness i dunno if you need more details then say so did i mention already that there were no error messages any yea no errors just that the system hung kinda and the drive didn t show up Pwolf nbsp

A:Hard drive then maybe motherboard?

You could have some kind of virus that destroys your hard drives.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-then-maybe-motherboard.242078/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hey guess i drive? motherboard? or hard m new but we ll save that So my laptop compaq presario years old was running very slow and choppy i ended up defrag etc and ended up getting the blue screens of death It was at the point the computer would work for - mins then BSOD SOOO I reformatted totally hard drive? or motherboard? wiped the hard drive etc and did hard drive? or motherboard? a fresh install hard drive? or motherboard? of xp home i was running pro before Anyway that went fine and I thought I was in the clear Next thing I know same thing same BSOD x F x x CDA x CF x C A While this happend for awhile i began to get upset Now the laptop is doing the PXE-E check media cable blah blah Long story short I took it to get serviced they told me nothing was wrong with ram OR the hard drive wow thanks Then out of spite I took it somewhere else the guy there basically just used an HD of his and installed XP and said well it looks like a new HD is what you need Tried that but when I installed it I still couldnt get passed the media cable errors which he didn t even have Yes i ve tried changing boot orders etc Weird thing is sometimes it will load windows othertimes it won t And usually when I try to install windows it says no hard disk found blah blah F to exit Furthermore in bios times it will say NO IDE found for the diagnostic test and only one or two times have I been able to run the test both times giving an error something along the lines of - fail which i m assuming is a problem So with this all said its off warranty what s wrong I need this thing fixed I don t want it to be the hard drive controller nbsp

A:hard drive? or motherboard?

Well, if you replaced the HD and it still doesn't work right..

It could be a bad connection. Does your laptop use some kind of a tray or an adaptor for the hard drive? It may not give good contact. Maybe get another one?

I have also seen a ThinkPad that would lose the HD if you didn't bend the corner of the laptop right. Took it to the repair shop and had them re-solder all the hard drive connectors. Fixed it.

And yes, it could be plain bad HD controller.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-or-motherboard.76113/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hey guys, in couple days im getting a new MB, cpu, ram and case. I was wondering, can i put my old hard drive in, than just install drivers and bios for my new MB?

Relevancy 56.33%

The other day we had a storm, the power went out for a few minutes. When I restarted the computer, my hard drive was bare, it wasn't even formated. This has happened when the power goes out (not all the time). What I'm trying to figure out is if it is the motherboard or the hard drive. I have a Western Digital WD1600-JB hard drive and an Abit KV8-MAX3 (VIA K8T800) motherboard.

Thanks,

Ted

A:Motherboard or hard drive?

Replace the hard drive... Then if the problem persists, look at replacing the power supply before going for the motherboard

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-or-hard-drive.85421/
Relevancy 56.33%

My Dell Inspirion 6000 Notebook has the dreaded Blue Screen with c000021a (Fatal System Error) and will not boot to Windows. This has happened numerous times and the problem has been resolved by reloading Windows XP and the drivers and software. The system will work temporarily, but eventually shuts down and returns to the blue screen. It seems Windows XP gets erased every time the system crashes. I'm assuming the problem is either my harddrive or the motherboard. How can I tell which one is causing the problem?

Relevancy 56.33%

I have a Latitude 600 and when I turn it on, it may take up to 10 minutes or not at all. It will only stay on about 10 minutes or so then has a message saying preparing standby in order to eject.... The battery died just before this started happening. I have been in contact with Dell support 3 times...one said hard drive dying, another said motherboard, another said power supply...so which is it? I tried to do the test by pressing Fn and the power button but that does not work. I doubt this old thing is worth putting a new motherboard. I was also advised to never try working on a laptop myself..is it really that bad? Thanks

A:motherboard or hard drive?

Try replacing the power adapter first. Does the computer boot normally and are you able to access all of your files and folders. If the hard drive was failing those wouldn't be the symptoms in my opinion. Also go into the control panel and change the power settings to never hibrinate and to go into standby after say 60 minutes of inactivity and turn off hard disks after at least 60 minutes. See if those things help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-or-hard-drive.54831/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have a Motherboard that is supposed to be SATA 150 ready. However, the HD I bought is a SATA 300 one. Will the HD work?
Thanks.

A:Hard Drive - Motherboard Compatibility

ftgml said:

I have a Motherboard that is supposed to be SATA 150 ready. However, the HD I bought is a SATA 300 one. Will the HD work?
Thanks.Click to expand...

Will it work, most of the time yes. If the drive is not compatible at a 3Gb. transfer speed you should be able to put a jumper on the drive to limit the transfer rate to 1.5Gb. and it should work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-motherboard-compatibility.700046/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi all I was wondering if you could provide me with some feedback on a hard drive issue that started when I booted up my pc yesterday Hard Drive is WD GB SATA I received this error at boot up Read Disk Error or Failure WD Motherboard? Drive Hard CTRL ALT DEL to restart I restarted and luckily I was able to get to the desktop took longer then normal tho WD Hard Drive Failure or Motherboard? Checked Event Viewer nothing showed Checked Performance Logs no errors showed Decided to double check all the connections all plugged in nice and secure Rebooted Got the Read Disk Error again this time it took me x to get to desktop I decided to try another SATA connection on motherboard REbooted got error again I ran a chkdsk r and when system rebooted the Read Disk error showed up again After another ctrl alt del reboots I was able to get into Windows I downloaded the Diagnostic Tools from WD and my drive failed both the Quick and Extended Tests Not surprising lol Anyhoo here is a screenshot of my WD Diagnostic test results I was wondering if it was a HDD issue or a motherboard issue Any thoughts I would rather replace a HDD then a motherboard This WD SATA drive is less then a month old also BIOS sees the hard drive also tried setting BIOS back to default sometimes that works but not this time tho - I think I am living on borrowed time with this HD but before I replace I wanted to get more opnions Thx for the input

A:WD Hard Drive Failure or Motherboard?

Did you create the bootable CD ? ?
The results are more accurate then running it inside Windows.
Also you should be running the Long test.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/4976-wd-hard-drive-failure-motherboard.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi can anyone advise me please with regard to the following epic story I have an Acer Aspir g which new and motherboard windows and hard drive New act... came out of the box with windows vista ultimate bit pre-installed I bought it eight year ago approximately When Microsoft released windows and it was on special offer for the first three or six months can't remember exactly how long I went to CurrysPcWorld and purchased windows Pro whic New motherboard and new hard drive and windows act... cost me pounds sterling In the package was a bit amp a it DVD seeing as my machine is compatible New motherboard and new hard drive and windows act... for installing bit I decided to install bit My original hard drive had three partitions PQService partition whatever that is I don't understand A D partition with windows vista bit which i presume is your recovery partiton and C partition which had windows vista bit installed on it I inserted the bit DVD got into New motherboard and new hard drive and windows act... auto install on the upgrade or custom install I clicked the custom and then I clicked on the D partition and I either deleted it or formatted the D partition and merged it into one with the C partition so that left me with only PQService and a C partion Before I go any further the windows I purchased is not an OEM which I believe is tied to the motherboard you install it to I then did the clean install of windows Pro bit which went ok I then got notificaation to upgrade from Microsoft to windows which I did and was successful I then got notification to upgrade to windows Pro which although Acer didn't do a compatibility for my machine ie no new drivers I installed windows Pro bit and everything ok I also made a USB stick from windows media tool for windows Pro My motherboard malfunctioned so I managed to source a new one and also purchased another hard drive TB as my old one is only GB The shop who are installing my new motherboard and hard drive asked me for the Activation product key for my windows Pro which I gave them Now the technician that is doing the work has told me that he cannot activate my windows Pro which I want to install and then upgrade to amp He has told me that he thinks the windows Pro I purchased is an upgrade only DVD and that he'll have to install windows vista and then install windows As I understand it you can only upgrade from bit to bit on the same windows ie vista to vista So if he says my windows is only an upgrade DVD how has it done a clean install on a reformatted partition I also asked him how come I've installed my windows on many occassions doing a clean install if its only an upgrade DVD he said that it installed and activated because it used some of the windows vista files from my original system but I deleted my original system and or reformatted the partiton and merged it with the C partion I said to him that after he re-installs my windows and activates it with the windows activation key if I have any problems I can just re-install from my windows DVD he said I won't be able to do that and that it would require a Vista installation before i could re-install windows again i'm not a tech by any stretch of the imagination but the windows DVD that I purchased from CurrysPCWorld says on it that it can be used for upgrade It does not say for upgrade only so I presume its a full windows Pro version licence only which I believe is not tied to a motherboard but can only be used on one machine and I believe that if you have problems activating it with your key you can phone Microsoft and get them to activate it online is this correct i would really appreciate as much feedback on this as possible because the shop where my laptop is the owner has told me that i have to buy a new Microsot licence if I want to re-install either windows or windows without having to firat install windows Vista again nbsp Thanks any help nbsp nbsp Johnj

http://community.acer.com/t5/Legacy-Laptops-and-Netbooks/New-motherboard-and-new-hard-drive-and-windows-activation-key/td-p/463626
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi, I have a 1TB Hard drive in my HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition CTO Notebook PC and I would like to upgrade to a M.2 SSD.  I looked at the service manual here: http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03943414 Can this really only support 24GB mSATA SSD? Do I have any better options? I checked and I have a hp 1963 (ue31) motherboard. I couldn't find documentation on the motherboard to see if it was compatiable. Can someone help me?Thanks. 

A:Want to upgrade Hard Drive to M.2 SSD. Is my motherboard com...

An M.2 SSD is not compatible with your notebook. There is no M.2 slot on the systemboard to plug it into.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Want-to-upgrade-Hard-Drive-to-M-2-SSD-Is-my-motherboard/td-p/5723309
Relevancy 55.47%

Can't install win 7 stops at starting win insignia. Any Ideas on what the problem. And how to fix.

A:XPS 7100 new motherboard and hard drive

Are you booting to the windows 7 install disk and selecting Custom Install, Drive Options to allow windows to format the new drive? Read this for instructions--
windows.microsoft.com/.../installing-reinstalling-windows

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19669539
Relevancy 55.47%

I've come across this problem about 3 times in 1 year....it seems that one particular motherboard that I have just chews up my HDDs!! is this possible....I would alwys get the Unmountable Boot Volume BSOD after a few monbths of use with this Motherboard....It's an MSI P4M800 Series board...Has anyone ever heard of a prblem like this one??

A:Could My Motherboard Be Messing With My Hard Drive??

I guess it could be possible. Never heard of a similar situation though.
Does the MB have the latest BIOS and drivers?
Could possibly be an overheating issue with the specific computer case not having enough ventilation.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/could-my-motherboard-be-messing-with-my-hard-drive.711635/
Relevancy 55.47%

I'm thinking of buying a new hard drive and want to make sure my motherboard will support it.
I have a ECS K7S5A MoBo and I'm looking a buying a :

Hitachi Deskstar 7K80 80GB Hard Drive (Serial ATA II, 7200, 8MB)
Interface: SATA II (Serial ATA II)
Interface Type: Serial ATA - 7 pin
Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
Cache Size: 8 MB
Maximum Transfer Rate: 3 Gbps
Access Time: 8.8 ms

Any help would be appreciated.
I just don't want to have to return it.

Thanks,

Rob

Relevancy 55.47%

Hey all I just built the machine below last night and have encountered a problem Connecting Motherboard Hard to Drive I just got a Gigabyte GA- INXP P Titan Motherboard which has IDE connectors of which are RAID I also have an ATA Maxtor hard drive and simply want to connect it on its own to one of the RAID connectors to utilise the ATA capabilities of the Hard Drive as the other IDE connectors on the Motherboard only support up to ATA according to the manual Can this be done The Promise RAID manual only talks of installing Hard Drives on the RAID connectors I have connected the Hard Drive to one of Connecting Hard Drive to Motherboard the RAID connectors - IDE yet when I boot up past the BIOS screen quot Verifying Pool Data quot appears and it just hangs there If I try and install Windows XP the Windows setup tells me that there is no Hard Drive installed yet the Hard Drive appears on boot as quot Maxtor Ultra DMA quot Do I have to change something in the BIOS like the quot RAID Controller Function quot because I changed this from ATA to RAID and back a few times yet still nothing I say all this because in the manual the specifications state that the RAID IDE connectors support quot RAID Ultra ATA EIDE quot Any help much appreciated nbsp

A:Connecting Hard Drive to Motherboard

Did you install the drivers for it? Did you press f6 at the prompt to let XP know you have an extra driver disk?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-hard-drive-to-motherboard.121160/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have not been able to resolve a problem which has been affecting my computer for a few weeks now please see below for my system spec -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Symptoms -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- hard drives motherboard, drive, ...is the hard or PSU? the the it a Want challenge? are failing to show in windows plugged in set up computer hangs frequently on the very Want a challenge? ...is it the hard drive, the motherboard, or the PSU? first boot quot push x to enter bios quot screen quot starting windows quot screen while booting can take minutes strange sounds from the hard drives Want a challenge? ...is it the hard drive, the motherboard, or the PSU? when they are trying to load data I had Windows upgraded from vista installed on my GB sata hard drive for about years and everything has worked flawlessly Recently it started to quot choke crawl quot on a pulse every seconds the computer would stop responding for minute and then work normally again I decided to start fresh for the first time in about years and installed Windows bit to my TB drive It has worked flawlessly for about days and now I am beginning to identify the same problems I had when the OS installation on the GB drive started to die slow boot some freezes unable to see hard drives -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Cause -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Any of these seem possible Faulty PSU voltages using too many devices without a surge protector I have the computer logitech Z surround sound quot LCD monitor all plugged into the same socket but this has worked flawlessly for years Faulty motherboard sata connections corrupt bios -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Solutions I have tried -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Using a different PSU on my GB OS installation had the same problems Trying different combinations with the cables from my PSU modular when I couldn t get the GB sata drive to boot at all using different sockets in the back of my PSU yielded different results they are labelled V V etc I m not savvy on what it all means though Error checking tool Defragmenting - no effect Maybe I should try another defragmenter Error checking tool - nothing to report -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Remaining solutions -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- upgrade motherboard BIOS try another motherboard i would have to RMA the motherboard for this try my quot faulty quot sata drive in another computer results could be interesting buy a more reliable PSU I use a Jeantech W and used a W arctic when trying to isolate the PSU from the equation maybe BOTH of these are faulty not providing enough juice to power my components note when I tried the W I booted ONLY my GB sata drive and an nvidia GS No x pin GTX no DVD drive no sound card - also this W PSU works fine with it s original computer AMD Dual core gb GS two sata HDD s -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- System Spec -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Q GHZ GIGABYTE EP -DS R GB PC mhz x gb x gb Nvidia GTX mb Asus Xonar DX soundcard Windows x Jeantech W PSU Operating system is on TB drive two TB data drives one GB drive all sata drives -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- History ----------------------------------------------------------------... Read more

A:Want a challenge? ...is it the hard drive, the motherboard, or the PSU?

It could be the PSU beginning to break down, as the different results using different connectors of the power supply certainly raises questions as to the state of it.

However, then seeing the problem persists even when using a different PSU then makes you wonder if the issue is entirely unrelated to the PSU, and in fact something entirely different.

If it was me, and the motherboard was under warranty, my first port of call would be to RMA it, and get a replacement. I highly recommend you stick to Gigabyte, they make outstanding motherboards generally.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/want-a-challenge-is-it-the-hard-drive-the-motherboard-or-the-psu.161414/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello all,

I just got a SATA2 1TB HD but my motherboard (MSI KT3 Ultra I think) only has IDE ports. What's the cheapest solution to link the two but still utilizing SATA2? I could go USB2.0 (solution: external enclosure + USB2.0 PCI card since my MB only supports 1.1) but I would much have the faster connection of SATA2. Also, if I do have to add a SATA2 PCI expansion card, it should recognize the whole TB right? I know in some instances with older MB's, if you plug in a HD it will only register X amount of GB's. Any input is very much appreciated. Thanks!

A:How to add a SATA2 hard drive to IDE-only motherboard.

Buy a quality sata controller card. Yes, the card should "See" the full size of the drive as long as you read the specs on the card and it says it will recognize drives of that size.

I use and recommend either promise or highpoint controller/raid cards. There are cheaper ones however you get what you pay for.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-add-a-sata2-hard-drive-to-ide-only-motherboard.716132/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have an intel CELERON MHZ CPU MB PC MHZ with drive hard problems or motherboard? PIN SDRAM which I bought second hand It has always had problems with sound and video programs when problems with hard drive or motherboard? opening other applications it bogs down and freezes has trouble problems with hard drive or motherboard? reading videos from CDs and takes a long time copying etc the hard drive seems noisier than it should be and grinds a bit now and then It also started having problem with freezing during the memory check when bootingI imagined that the root of the problem would be the hard problems with hard drive or motherboard? drive itself judging by the symptoms To check it out I installed a different hard drive and the computer turned on but would not boot no beeps no nothing at all and the screen remained blank or gave me the quot NO SIGNAL INPUT quot message I tried removing the battery and putting it back in to clear the CMOS but this did not work I put the original hard drive back in and took the same steps again and still nothing I also check the screen and hard drive on another computer They were fine Is it reasonable at this point to imagine the problem may be with the motherboard and not the hard drive thanks babalu nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi guys

basically im building my own pc, like new motherboard, RAM, graphics card case the lot. but i like my 500gb IDE hard drive and the mother board is sata compatible,. i have a cable converter for this but im wondering if my windows 7 OS will just run on the new mother board or not?

A:Can i just plug my old hard drive into my new motherboard using my win 7 OS?

Your old hard drive will be recognised as a hard drive, but windows 7 wont be able to use it, as the windows drivers were for your last computer, so the motherboard chipset, sound , LAN, and graphics card were all set for your last system.
If you have a spare hard drive back up all your own data first, then connect it to your computer.
It may work with a default display resolution but will then probably complain about the sound hardware, lan, chipset etc. You may be able to load these drivers from your install disks.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/can-i-just-plug-my-old-hard-drive-into-my-new-motherboard-using-my-win-7-os-501653.html
Relevancy 55.47%

I recently had to purchase a new system. I could not re boot my old system because it would start a reboot then go back to a message stating that the system got interupted during start up. Could not open in safe mode, system restore or open in any setting. Not sure if it was a virus, but would now like to reformat the drive to give to my father in law. Does this problem seem to be a hard drive issue or a spent motherboard issue. I just replaced the hard drive last year?

Relevancy 55.47%

I just installed a new hard drive on my computer, I am replacing an old 7 mb HD, with a WD 60 5400. I installed the hard drive and installed Windows XP, it was working fine, then I unplugged everything to put my computer back together and it would not read the disk. I thought maybe it was a bad disk so I hooked up my old HD and it too could not be read. Is my motherboard bad? I am using a Soyo K7VTA-PRO? Any help would be appreciated. Also, I noticed when my computer was looking for the IDE controllers, there was a line that said no 80-conductor cable, could this be the problem? I know this cable makes them run better but should it keep it from reading it?

A:New hard drive on Soyo Motherboard

You need to use an 80 pin IDE cable. One should have come with the new hard driver. Your old drive most likely uses a 40 pin cable.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hard-drive-on-soyo-motherboard.21649/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have won't Motherboard hard recognize drive a EP -UD L motherboard from Gigabyte A few days ago I got some IDE to SATA cables to add some hard drives to my computer I Motherboard won't recognize hard drive already had one internal hard Drive hooked up with my current operating system on it I wanted to hook up two more hard drives that I had from an old computer of mine The first hard drive I tried to hook up was a Maxtor brand hard drive I plugged it in booted up the computer and went to My Motherboard won't recognize hard drive Computer Computer in Vista the hard drive Motherboard won't recognize hard drive was not visible So I tried hooking up the other hard drive I had witch was the main hard drive on my old compter a Sony VAIO When I tried hooking that one up it tried to run Windows XP but could not I did not know it would try to run Windows XP I just wanted to format it and use it as an extra hard drive So I tried plugging my hard drive with Vista back in the motherboard The motherboard won t recognize it at all no matter where I plug it in at Strangely it does recognize the other two hard drives but the system disc won t boot up nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/motherboard-wont-recognize-hard-drive.923634/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have a laptop and the motherboard is Dell 0rp6c8
How many internal hard drive can support ?

I used Speccy and it show that it has :
Slot PCI-E x16 "In use" and (5) Slots PCI there are (2) Available
does it mean I still can connect (2) hard drives ?

I would know the way to know that please !

A:How many hard drive can motherboard support ?

On a laptop you can only attach additional harddrives via USB or if you have a PCI-e slot. For the latter you need a PCI-e card - one like these:

Laptop Express Cards - Newegg.com

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/59598-how-many-hard-drive-can-motherboard-support.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Just got a new board/memoru/cpu. and our old hard drive does not like it. we get a blue scree...

i know formatting and re-installing xp would be a soulution, but a hassle.

we are looking for a way to avoid formatting.

llemee kno soon
thanks

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi everyone. I'm attempting to build a computer on my own. I've done minor things like switching video cards, upgrading processors, etc., but never started from scratch.

I've run into a problem, I think.

I purchased a Fujitsu 15k Ultra SCSI320 80pin hard drive. The connection doesn't match the one on my motherboard, Asus A8N SLI Deluxe.

Am I out of luck, or am I supposed to have an adapter of some sort? Sorry for the clueless questions. I'll try to supply as much information as required for an answer.

For information, I've only gotten to the "connect the parts" steps. Just got the motherboard in the case, and the processor and heat sink in place. Then I saw this problem and decided to come ask before I screwed something up.

Thanks in advance!

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi
I purchased a foxconn mother board bundle into which I intended to place my old hard drive cd rom, cd writer and dvd writer in.
I first formated my hard drive while it was in my old machine, then placed it along with my cd rom into the new case and instaled windows X/P.
I then went on to place my cd and dvd writers into the new machine one as master the other as slave, I also slaved the cd rom off to the hard drive. When I rebooted the machine windows would not recognise my hard drive I disconnected both slaves setting the hard drive back to master but only the cd writer is being reconised in post and the bios.

Relevancy 55.47%

I just bought the new motherboard with new parts but not hard disk.
I am still using the old IDE Maxtor 40GB 7200rpm hard disk.
After all the connection applied, although the pc has detected the hd, but finally failed to boot in to my windows xp.

Is IDE hard disk cannot be used in new motherboard? My motherboard is MSI-7270 K9N-U.

Thanks.

A:IDE Hard Drive with latest motherboard...

Howdy,

If you put a Hard drive into a new Motherboard with a Operating System on it it will not work unless the motherboard is exactly the same as the one it was formatted on.

You will have to re-install the Operating System while it is on that Motherboard for it to Recognize it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ide-hard-drive-with-latest-motherboard.546780/
Relevancy 55.47%

Quote from my friends problem recently removed my computer drives - master and slave- when i went on holiday I put the system back in order and recently noticed my slave drive has not shown up in quot My Computer quot list I tried swapping the ribbon cables with no changes So i swapped the position of both drives in case it was the power cable Both are SATA so they use the same power cable But still no changes I removed motherboard or it drive this the of Is which or hard bios , is cause the slave drive F Drive and placed it into an external caddie and booted up It started to install driver for it and is running fine from there So after that i re installed it into the PC and still no change It simply does not exist I have run the boot set up on startup and it is not listed there It is simply a ghost to the PC Any ideas what it could be or how i could sort this issue out Also in hardware profiles under show hidden drives it is listed and clicking this states it is not connected Is there any solution that would help my friend Is it motherboard or hard drive or bios , which is the cause of this solve his problem N B please take that internal hard drive instead of slave

A:Is it motherboard or hard drive or bios , which is the cause of this

Quote:
recently removed my computer drives - master and slave

Both are SATA

There's some confusion from the start. There is no such thing as master and slave with SATA drives! Master and slave drives come from the old technology, EIDE (PATA) drives where you could have two drives attached to one "data" cable and one motherboard connector. With two drives on one data cable, there needed to be a way for the system to keep track of the drives, so one drive was designated as master, the other as slave. And this was determined by a jumper on the back of the drive and where on the cable the drive was connected.

But with SATA drives there is only one drive per data cable. Every drive has it own data cable and motherboard connector. So no master or slave designation is needed.

You can have more than one drive on a power cable with SATA, but that has nothing to do with master and slave - as again, no such thing with SATA drives.

The boot drive is determined by the boot order set in the BIOS.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/398368-motherboard-hard-drive-bios-cause.html
Relevancy 55.47%

This is what I want to do.Transfer everything from my ide on my computer to a sata drive on my computer and then use it in a new computer that I"m building.I had to slow down the drive to sata1 to get it to work in old computer.Drives are maxtor ide and Western Digital sata 2.I have both softwares.Running win xp pro all updates applied.Any help is going to be appreciated.
TIA,Allenv

A:Changing Hard drive and motherboard

You can transfer files and data but you will need to install Windows clean on new build...fine to have files and data on the drive in a separate partition so you do not format the whole drive by accident and lose everything, or use sata drive for clean install and then jumper the ide drive as slave and use whatever you want from it in new build.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-hard-drive-and-motherboard.556525/
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi I am planning to replace my motherboard and memory new Existing motherboard. on hard drive on my Win Home premium b I've been updating MBs for years and now I Existing hard drive on new motherboard. am getting conflicting Existing hard drive on new motherboard. answers regarding booting existing hard drive on new MB My present Win installation was installed on my present MB Before I have always been able to use an existing hard drive and OS on a new MB Now when I asked Gigabyte if a reinstall would be required they said no but the registry may be full of unneeded drivers etc which would affect performance This seems a solvable issue using registry cleaners and editors But I am also getting opinions that Win will not boot up on a new MB and reinstall OS would be required Existing hard drive on new motherboard. Considering the number of programs some on disks others from downloads activation keys etc this is a major problem Has MS gone bananas Who would benefit with this approach Does anyone have a definitive answer Thanks Bill

A:Existing hard drive on new motherboard.

First, Windows 7 is a lot more flexible with hardware changes, but at the very least, you should run Sysprep before moving to the new board. I would greatly recommend a clean install, especially if you plan ahead to cut down on how long that would take. However, Sysprep can remove some of the drivers to allow the system to be a little cleaner.

As for the copy of Windows 7, that all depends on your license. If you have a retail license, then you are fine. It should activate on the new system without issue, and it will be legit. If you have an OEM license, then that opens the door to a whole lot of gray areas, in terms of what is considered to be a new computer, and how legit your license will be, assuming you can activate it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/271148-existing-hard-drive-new-motherboard.html
Relevancy 55.47%

My Aopen AX-33 motherboard will not detect my new Western Digital WD800JB hard drive unless it is the only hard drive in the computer. I've tried every possible ide configuration that leaves the old hard drive, that has windows on it, at primary master, and none of them work. The only way the computer will recognize the new hard drive is if the old one's removed. Help.

Relevancy 55.47%

My desktop computer's motherboard just died (had it confirmed by qualified tech people.) The computer was about four years old. It was a standard machine running XP home.

I am going to put together a new system, but someone mentioned that the new motherboards might not accept my old hard drive as the primary drive, which is a WD 40G drive. I can't believe this is true; won't a new motherboard just recognize it? That would save me the huge hassle of reinstalling everything....(as far as data, etc, I'm well backed-up in any case.)

Can anyone advise me on this?

thanks,
BJ

Relevancy 55.47%

My Dell Dimension turns on but the green light does not light up I can hear the fans running I can open and close the dvd and cd parts I can plug in my mp players and charge it but the monitor does not show anything but a black screen Nothing comes up Is my motherboard fried or did I crash my hard drive I dont know what to try my sister gave me the tower from her old compaq presario s wm but it wont work with my dell monitor I also tried and old mv compaq monitor but that didnt work either I thought I could use the old one drive hard fry crash or did my I my motherboard? until i got mine fixed or bought a new one if I cant get mine fixed then can someone offer some advice on how to get the monitor to work with the compaq tower I am on my nephew s laptop and he is staying until tomorrow so after that i wont be back for help so if I disappear its not because I dont care lol thanks so much for any advice nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi I recently bought a motherboard memory and processor bundle.

I also bought a hard drive which has 15000 RPM. Only when I received it its not SATA or SCSI but SAS harddrive

Supplied by Misco. Manufacturer is Fugitsu but Toshiba has now taken over that part of their business.

Model MBA3300RC
Can't post a link to the hard drive but google the model and it will come up.

I have then gone to much trouble to source a cable which is a SATA to SAS.
I then connected it to the mother board but the motherboard doesn't recognise it for love or money.

I know the mother board is fine because I tested it with another hard drive.

Do regular PC motherboards capable of supporting SAS hard drives?

Its an ASROCK Motherboard Model H61M-S

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-not-recognizing-sas-hard-drive.169466/
Relevancy 55.47%

I'm thinking about doing a complete upgrade on my computer.

All I really want to save from my original tower is my 128MB of RAM and the processor. My motherboard was the 'onboard' type, so I'll be needing several new parts. I have a Pentium II 400MHz processor that I want to keep. What type of motherboard should I buy (keeping in mind the $$$)? (make personal recommendations). What type of hard-drive (10GB+ of course)?

Also, if someone could point out a good site for rebuilding a PC with my specs, I'd appreciate it.

Oh yeah, would anyone know of a good place that I could get a full copy of WIN98 SE for cheap?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Col

Relevancy 55.47%

I have just bought a new motherboard/processor and had it put into a new case with a better PSU (given that my older system died recently ).I deliberately didn't get a new hard drive.
I intend to put my old ram and graphics cards on the new motherboard (they are compatible).
My question is - can I simply attach the old hard drive from my older computer with my operating system (XP) and files settings etc and expect there to be no conflicts when it boots up .?

A:Adding old hard drive to new motherboard.

Hi ohisay, and welcome to TSG.

Unless your new motherboard, BIOS and CPU are just about identical drop in replacements for the original parts, you will most likely have problems with hardware driver conflicts and getting Windows XP to run. If your PC came with an OEM version of Windows XP, I believe that the Microsoft license ties it to that that specific motherboard.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/adding-old-hard-drive-to-new-motherboard.571400/
Relevancy 55.47%

was wondering if it was at all possible to take the e-machines hard drive that has windows XP installed on it and run it on a new motherboard... and it be able to read the drives???

A:Hard Drive with XP to new motherboard/processor.....

you will be able to read the drives but you wont be able to run windows. You will need to reinstall windows on the hard drive after you install it in the new computer. then you will have to activate it also. It is also illegal to move the type of OEM version of WinXP liscensed to be installed on and Emachines computer on any other computer. It is called Piracy.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-with-xp-to-new-motherboard-processor.215833/
Relevancy 55.47%

I just bought an AMD XP1700 board and a new atx case. In my old machine, I had a 40gb hd for primary, and a 20 gb for a slave. Now, my 40 Gig drive is not being read by the new board. Fdisk won't partition it or format it. I can't install anything on it, and the machine wouldn't boot off of it when I still had my OS on it. My old machine reads it fine, and the new board reads by 20 Gig drive fine. I installed Windows 98se on it, installed partition magic 7.0 and tried to partition the bigger drive from there, but its still not working. HELP!!!!

Relevancy 55.47%

Hi,

My motherboard is a DFI LanParty UT SLI-DR (details about the SATA-plugs can be seen here), and I'm currently looking for a new hard drive. The one I want to buy is the Seagate Barracuda 7200.11, with a capacity of 1,5 TB.

What I'd like to know is whether my motherboard can support a drive of this size?

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks in advance

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/will-my-motherboard-support-a-1-5-tb-hard-drive.963699/
Relevancy 55.47%

hey guys unfortunately i can t get the name and model of my mboard but i i have the specs of the current hard drive that s in the machine and that works perfectly i ve never installed a hard drive before could someone tell me how difficult it is thanks Disk Manufacturer Seagate Model ST AS Size GB Firmware Version Serial Number MT P A Interface Serial ATA Standard ATA ATAPI- ATA ATAPI- T D version Transfer Mode Current Max SATA- SATA- Features S M A R T bit LBA NCQ Temperature C F Drive Letter s C E Controller Buffer Size on Drive KB Queue Depth Removable No Cache Enabled Read Write Yes Yes SMART Support Yes Attribute Name Attribute Value Worst Value Threshold Value Raw Data Raw Read Error Rate ED Spin Up Time Start Stop Count Reallocated Sector Count Seek Error Rate E Power On Hours Count C Spin Retry Count A Power Cycle Count C B HDA Temperature C ECC On The Fly Count C drive is my motherboard? with What hard compatible ED Current pending sector count C Off-line uncorrectable sector count C Ultra ATA CRC Error Rate C Multi Zone Error Rate C Data Address Mark Errors CA nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

I Have about a 3+/- year old Compaq
Win XP Home SP1
AMD Athlon XP 1600+
Maxtor 40GB Hard drive (original)
MSI motherboard [(new) reason; apon turning on the system would get "System board failure" message nothing else]
The hard drive is seen in the BIOS and in the first post screen but will not boot. I hooked up one of my old hard drives with 98SE on it and booted right up. Slaved the old hard drive off the 98SE hard drive. Both show in BIOS and post but only the 98SE shows in "My Computer"
Have yet to check old motherboard with 98SE hard drive to see if it is bad or the hard drive caused the problem.
What are the chances that the motherboard took out the hard drive or vise versa?
Everything was original before I changed the motherboard.
Thanks in advance for any help.
GrandPops

A:Motherboard/Hard drive problem

It's possible. but more likely that you need to do a repair install so that the old XP system ( I guess? ) can start up on the new board. . . what message do you get when you try to start it?

wrs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/motherboard-hard-drive-problem.341713/
Relevancy 55.47%

Good Evening I have a Dell Inspiron r intel core i GB Memory originally with a built in Microsoft Windows Purchased in It has since been updated to Windows and Windows nbsp I upgraded to Windows as soon as I found out Windows was free for people who had Windows Windows was working fine until July and then that s when the Motherboard gave out I tested it and it said the Motherboard is fine it s just the HDD Well the Hard Drive and Motherboard overheated and both died I have replaced a Heat Sink AND Fan to attempt to save it Yes I used a rice size amount of Thermal Paste to reinstall So now I purchased a nbsp New TB GB MB Cache RPM SATA quot mm Notebook Hard Drive and that was fine I also purchased a replacement Motherboard and Hard Replaced Drive Motherboard for my Laptop which came with no Software Replaced Motherboard and Hard Drive leading me to purchase Microsoft Windows Pro I have had trouble downloading Replaced Motherboard and Hard Drive the Windows pro as it would turn off during download and refuse to actually go on and give me the proper download for a while After days of trying I finally realized I had to remove the CD once it was installed and Windows Pro was installed on my computer After a few downloads Skype Google Hangouts and Roblox Online game to be exact the motherboard fried out I recently got a Motherboard on ebay from China and now I am trying a USA seller instead Is Windows Pro frying my Laptop I know I cannot download devices from Dell any longer but I would at least like it to work Can I get the Windows back for free Can I call Microsoft and Verify my Old Motherboard s Information for a new installation I have my old items still and serial Number I just no longer have a Warranty due to the time expiration Should I upgrade the Memory and can my computer s Motherboard handle that A couple of notes with the new Motherboard My computer no longer had a Serial Number tied to Dell but it was called a Inspiron Windows pro seemed to not work with the Motherboard Thanks for answering my questions any help would be appreciated

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19991457
Relevancy 55.47%

I am looking to upgrade my motherboard, but keep my current hard drive and the content on it (due to having alot of programs and software plugins on it). I am running Windows 7 32 bit with and AMD Phenom II x2 CPU. My current motherboard is one I went to when my compaq desktop died a while ago and I wanted to upgrade my operating system and hard drive capacity anyway. So, the first link below is the motherboard I have and the second link is the motherboard I am looking at upgrading to (since the two are somewhat comparable in specs/give or take a few things). Any suggestions or help is welcome. Thanks!

1) My current motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135246

2) Motherboard I am looking to purchase
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128394

Relevancy 55.47%

Hello all,
Last Feb I bought my son a Asus K50 laptop and since that time the hard drive (windows will continually try to start until the screen goes black) has had to be replaced 6 times, I thought it was the laptop but, I let him borrow my Dell laptop Latitude D610 (gets a DST short test error, error code 1000-0146) and he has crashed the hard drive on this one as well. What could he be doing to crash these drives? How can I prevent this in the future? Anybody need a son?

In advance thank you.

Tom

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-crashes.978580/
Relevancy 55.47%

Alright I have an Acer Aspire G laptop a piece of by the way with two hard drives C and D I install all my games on D seeing I had a hard drive failure on C three months into the warranty and now want to tax C as little as possible seeing Windows is installed on Hard Crashes Drive there and I would be f ed if C crashes with all my Hard Drive Crashes files Now after the warranty is over C is running well but just two days ago when I game multiple games keep crashing like homefront Black Ops etc On my speakers a buzzing noise sounds for a few seconds and the games freeze then I get a CTD When I go into my computer hard drive D is no longer visible Hard Drive Crashes until I completely shut down the computer and then turn it on again Then Hard Drive D works OK for about half an hour into gaming then crashes again Keeps repeating over and over again Does this mean hard drive D is on it's last legs Or maybe there's some drivers I need to update I reinstalled the intel AHCI drivers of Acer's website but no to no avail My specs Windows bit Home Premium Acer Aspire G gb ram ATI radeon m i m Ghz

A:Hard Drive Crashes

Check this setting:
Go to Control Panel > Hardware & Sound > Power Options >
Whichever plan you are on > click "Change Plan Settings"
Click on "Change Advanced Power Settings"
Expand "Hard Disk" > expand "Turn Hard Disk Off After" > and make sure the setting is "Never".

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/227726-hard-drive-crashes.html
Relevancy 55.47%

my hard drive crashes when i copy files from one partition to another and the c: drive directory structure turns to gibberish if that makes any sense and i have to fdisk format and reinstall windows and program files. i've checked the cable , jumper setting and ran the diagnostics disk that came with the drive and the drive appears to be healthy mechanically and electrically. is windows 98 really that unstable ? i'm wondering , if i back up the mbr and partition table could i just restore them after a crash to avoid reinstalling everything ? is the mbr and partition table the same thing and how would i go about backing them up. any thoughts ?

A:hard drive crashes

IS the drive set up correctly in the BIOS? Are you running any drive overlay software on the drive (for compatibility with large drives and older system BIOS)? Do you have the correct drivers for your IDE controller? Right click My Computer and select properties, go to the performance tab and if it says DOS compatibility mode you may have a controller problem. I wouldn't suspect the OS at all as being the culprit though.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-crashes.111516/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello, I just purchased a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe Motherboard and I can't get my 160 gig hard drive to recognize it?
HELP!!

Relevancy 55.04%

I don't know a whole lot about computers so I thought I would ask for help concerning my OEM version of Windows Home Premium bit I have a Small hard drive 7 new motherboard/build Transferring with to OEM Form Factor Acer computer that I am wanting to strip for parts the CPU memory optical drive for my new build So I bought a case a PSU a GPU more RAM and a motherboard Then Transferring hard drive with OEM 7 to new motherboard/build before I actually started taking things apart it occurred to me that I might not be able to just quot plug and play quot so to speak I thought that perhaps there could be driver conflicts or worse yet because then a friend told me that OEM means that my OS is quot tied quot to my mini-ITX motherboard and that that I will have to buy a whole new Windows Is this true Transferring hard drive with OEM 7 to new motherboard/build I was hoping that I could just leave my current installation as is and just move the Transferring hard drive with OEM 7 to new motherboard/build HDD over to the new build but it seems that my version of Windows will not allow this I hope this is the right place for this thread Thank you very much for any help you can provide

A:Transferring hard drive with OEM 7 to new motherboard/build

Unfortunately, OEM licenses of Windows 7 can only be installed on one motherboard. Unless the reason for the new motherboard is a defect of some sort, the OS will be unable to be licensed on the new motherboard. For more information, read the following excerpt from the Microsoft Licensing FAQ.

Quote:
Q. Can a PC with an OEM Windows operating system have its motherboard upgraded and keep the same license? What if it was replaced because it was defective?

A. Generally, an end user can upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on a computer—except the motherboard—and still retain the license for the original Microsoft OEM operating system software. If the motherboard is upgraded or replaced for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been created. Microsoft OEM operating system software cannot be transferred to the new computer, and the license of new operating system software is required. If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do not need to acquire a new operating system license for the PC as long as the replacement motherboard is the same make/model or the same manufacturer's replacement/equivalent, as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.

The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the End User Software License Terms and the support of the software covered by that End User Software License Terms. The End User Software License Terms is a set of usage rights granted to the end user by the PC manufacturer and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular PC. The system builder is required to support the software on the original PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PCs with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left standing" that would still define the original PC. Since the motherboard contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created. The original system builder did not manufacture this new PC, and therefore cannot be expected to support it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/195522-transferring-hard-drive-oem-7-new-motherboard-build.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I m just going to copy paste this from my e-mail conversation instead of retyping hope you don t mind Any help or suggestions are appreciated I ve done all I can do without starting to replace major parts Thank god I just invested in an external HDD last week SENT No bad smell I m sure anythings possible though I bought the parts March th so its been in use for about years now Short of buying new parts I think I ve exhausted my knowledge of fixable options With how much technology has progressed drive Maybe motherboard. issue? a hard Possibly it would suck to replace the motherboard and try to spec one that matches all of my other parts RECEIVED It doesn t smell bad right Motherboard have any blown cathodes SENT Custom built ECS PRO-A motherboard http www ecsusa com ECSWebSite Pro uID amp LanID LGA Pentium Prescott GHz Processor Possibly a hard drive issue? Maybe motherboard. GB DDR RAM Western Digital GB HDD running via Possibly a hard drive issue? Maybe motherboard. IDE cable two DVD drives running via Possibly a hard drive issue? Maybe motherboard. IDE as well Sapphire Radeon X PRO video card W power supply RECEIVED Who s the manufacturer of the computer Hp Dell Etc SENT Okay computer question I replaced my CMOS battery It was a CR but there was print over the so I thought it was a Either way it got fixed Still nothing When I power my computer on the screen stays blank but the computer turns on The red light that usually blinks red for the hard drive is solid red I tried rerunning the cables to my hard drive and swapping them out got nothing Removed and cleaned my video card still nothing Tried plugging into my onboard video nothing Replaced the CMOS battery twice package came with two nothing Unclipped and replugged in all my motherboard cables I m f n stumped and pissed Any ideas I m assuming its something with my hard drive because of the light Oh yeah it happened like nights ago in the middle of the night Completely regular left the computer on shut my monitor off went to bed woke up red light is solid and display was gone Been f ed ever since nbsp

A:Possibly a hard drive issue? Maybe motherboard.

Any suggestions?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/possibly-a-hard-drive-issue-maybe-motherboard.860011/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a hard drive with Windows 7 and lots of data on it (it's my current computer). I'm upgrading to a different motherboard and would like to know what I should do software/driver wise to prepare for the HDD transfer... Should I uninstall all the drivers so Windows 7 can detect all the new hardware from the new motherboard?

And yes, the hard drive is 100% compatible with the new motherboard.

Any advice is appreciated.

A:Moving hard drive to new motherboard, any advice?

Very excellent tutorial for this :

Windows 7 Installation - Transfer to a New Computer

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/165864-moving-hard-drive-new-motherboard-any-advice.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi guys Over the past month I have been getting soft locks on my pc a few BSOD here and there CRC errors when transferring files etc files not opening on the drive - it or drive Motherboard thinking Hard failing, HDD. is my oldest of drives and so I think it s going to kick the bucket The RAM I have in my system was just purchased so I know it isn t that - although I will run memtest on it Hard drive or Motherboard failing, thinking HDD. eventually when I have everything backed up So I have run HD TUNE and the warnings are this only -Ultra DMA CRC Error count Number Date Time Current Worst ThresholdData Temp PM PM PM PM PM PM PM PM PM Current Pending Sector Number Date Time Current Worst ThresholdData Temp PM data column- gt PM PM PM PM PM PM PM PM PM Also there are a bunch of others that say quot OK quot but they have many numbers under quot data quot and quot current quot as well too Let me know if this is abnormal Several photographs have failed to transfer from this drive to my backup drive now - luckily only maybe or out of over but it still worries me - as well the drive I am backing stuff up to now has -Ultra DMA CRC Error count - Threshhold data something But I am thinking maybe this is because I am attempting to back the files up to there No other warnings on that drive As well the bad drive once did not show up under My Computer and also when trying to boot it just would hang and not detect the drive and therefore my OS wouldn t start I Just fixed this by disconnecting the Sata cables to the Mobo then reconnecting - it started up OK and here I am backing up files now Thanks very much for your time sorry this is a bit erratically written Any thoughts or advice greatly appriciated nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

Hello I am working on a project The computer I m using has two hard driver problems Hard and drive motherboard drives that I Hard drive and motherboard driver problems can access but im booting from the system s main Hard drive and motherboard driver problems which is drive C The other drive is J and it comes from a fried computer Miraculously all the Hard drive and motherboard driver problems data from this hard drive is still intact and I want to put it to work I would like to use it as a backup drive in case drive C fails I can boot to drive J and repair it from there without losing any data So here s the problem I can access drive J perfectly fine but It still has the old motherboard drivers from the fried computer It also has Windows XP as well as all the other system drivers What I d like to do is uninstall the old motherboard drivers and install the new ones This way I can boot from Drive J The problem is I cannot find where I would go to uninstall the old drivers I have the new drivers and I d like to know how I would proceed installing the new drivers Thanks for all your help guys My motherboard is a MicroStar MS My old motherboard is a Intel GV Thank you sw nbsp

A:Hard drive and motherboard driver problems

'The other drive is J:\, and it comes from a fried computer.'

That copy of Windows software is NOT licensed for use in your existing computer thus NO HELP!

Sorry.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-and-motherboard-driver-problems.111377/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi I've been reading threads here for about a couple of hours but haven't found anyone with my exact problem I hope this is not a common question that will get me flamed Here's all the background please bear with me I want to be as complete as possible I've got a customers Acer laptop retail key key? Moving to new OA drive new a with motherboard, hard with a bad motherboard it won't boot The hard drive has Windows Moving a hard drive with OA key to new motherboard, new retail key? Home premium Moving a hard drive with OA key to new motherboard, new retail key? OA Now I know from reading that that version of is tied to the MB it was first installed on and I'm OK with that I'm not whining Moving a hard drive with OA key to new motherboard, new retail key? about having to buy a new OS or trying to find a way to make it work on a new board without paying for it The laptop is loaded with thousands of dollars worth of industrial software to diagnose large factory machines The software is designed to run only on Windows There is no upgrade available for windows just a fresh version at I went out and bought another Acer laptop almost exactly the same the hardware is identical except for a slightly slower graphics chip The new laptop had windows but since it was the demo model at Staples it has now been upgraded to I want to try to put the HDD from the failed laptop into the new one I did it once already and it boots but it came up with a screen talking about versions or mismatches or something and I powered down without entering anything I didn't want to do any damage So now I know that it won't transfer on it's current licence but the tutorial by Kari assumes you still have a working computer to do sysprep with on the drive before you put it onto the new MB I don't have any way of doing sysprep because the only MB that this hard drive would boot on has failed I've already ordered a retail copy of Windows Home Premium This will give me a good transferable key I could use the new DVD and a fresh drive from Staples and load a clean install but then I'll have hours and hours of software loading and configuration to do and if you think talking Microsoft into allowing you to install a package twice is tough you should try Rockwell International Allen Bradley Here's the question Is there any way - without the original motherboard - to get the OEM drive to accept a new retail key on a new motherboard Thanks JayArr

A:Moving a hard drive with OA key to new motherboard, new retail key?

Hi JayArr, welcome to the Forum.

You should be able to change activation key. This tutorial show you how.

Product Key Number - Change

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/388114-moving-hard-drive-oa-key-new-motherboard-new-retail-key.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Last year i built a computer with an intel DG tl motherboard quad core q processor and seagate barracuda hard drive From the Solved: Motherboard Hard or Drive Faulty beginning Vista seemed to be having alot of problems but didnt think anything of it cause well its vista The problems were windows explorer stopped working this happened alot alot So recently ive been having problems with booting up it freezes before windows can reach the log in stage Sometimes if i let it sit a few days and replug Solved: Faulty Motherboard or Hard Drive in the SATA it will load up but eventually crashes It does alot of memory dumping too And i have changed the SATA cable ive tried that already So my question is do you think Solved: Faulty Motherboard or Hard Drive it is the motherboard or the Hard drive Ive already ruled out vista i really doubt its that My assumtion is that it is the motherboard i did some research and found out other people had problems with the board too If there is any questions that will help narrow down the possibility of whats wrong feel free to ask Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

my old e-machines T2742 has a fried motherboard, (according to the folks at Best Buy). I had a bunch of stuff on the hard drive that I of course failed to back up anywhere. Is there a way I (not a tech type guy), can access and download the data on the hard drive? And while I'm at it I have the computer opened now and am wondering just where the motherboard and hard drive are located. I did manage to upgrade the ram by myself. Thanks for any help.

A:motherboard is bad can I download data from the hard drive?

Did you get the license number of that Emachine.....?

I'm not familiar with the number you gave, but, if it has a PATA (IDE) HDD, you must change the jumper on the drive to the slave position and then install it in another computer in the "slave" position on the ribbon cable. (The connector in the middle). You can usually get the HDD jumper diagram by downloading the manual to your drive at the manufacturer's web site.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-is-bad-can-i-download-data-from-the-hard-drive.84312/
Relevancy 55.04%

Bare with me, I have been going through a lot of drama with my PC. Recently, I had a motherboard installed by a tech. First time I take computer home, there is no sound. Then, I take it back and the sound driver is installed. After the second time of bringing tower from the shop, I discovered that I am getting error codes and my computer is shutting down. Once Again, I go back to get this problems taken care of only to discover that I have another problem. When I tried to download a program from the net, I get another error code. From what I am able to gather, it looks like my OS was reinstalled. I wonder what could be going with my computer. Is it possible that the motherboard installation wasn't done correctly? Or, could it be that something is going hangwire with my hard drive? I have a P4 1.7 Ghrz.

A:Follow-UP: Help Again! Possible Motherboard or Hard Drive problems

Sounds to me like the person you're taking it to doesn't know his business.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/follow-up-help-again-possible-motherboard-or-hard-drive-problems.193636/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have an older Dell (4700 I think). The computer won't turn on at all anymore. The amber light comes on and the fans run fast and furious. I get no video, not beeps, nothing. I took it apart, cleaned it, reseated everything and put it back together. Same thing. I took the hard drive out and tested it on my husband's computer. It didn't boot. So I took his hard drive out and tried it in my computer. His wouldn't boot from my system. Is there any reason both my computer and my hard drive would both crap out at the same time? Is there hope for my computer?

Relevancy 55.04%

Hey everybody,

I have a question regarding the color for the IDE port that the hard drive goes on, I'm not sure what kind of motherboard it is it says intel on it and its a Gateway 300se. Would it be white or black?

Thank you

A:Hard Drive IDE port color on motherboard

It's probably the white one!!! Try it and check the bios to see if the hdd appears on the primary or secondary bus!!! If it appears on primary, then all is well!!!!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-ide-port-color-on-motherboard.62936/
Relevancy 55.04%

I am trying to help someone with a Toshiba drive a hard a fail? motherboard cause problem new to Can Satellite L -S laptop computer with Win Recently the hard drive failed and a new hard drive Fujitsu was installed not by me Then just a few weeks ago the hard drive Can a motherboard problem cause a new hard drive to fail? failed again - after only a few hours of operation I verified this by removing the drive and connecting it to a Dock The drive is not recognized I tried connecting the dock to Can a motherboard problem cause a new hard drive to fail? different computers I can hear some clicking noises coming from the drive but I cannot access the drive As a check I connected a known good drive to the dock and everything works The owner of the computer was told again not by me that the problem is that there is a motherboard problem causing the hard drives to fail Does anyone know of any motherboard problem that can cause a NEW hard drive to fail I searched this forum and I tried several different search engine searches but without success nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

My current motherboard (EPoX EP-5EPA+) has pretty much konked out it seems after much testing and I'm now looking at the EPoX 5LDA+ (http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=246607). Since I have no way of booting my computer at the moment, is there a way to preserve what is on my hard drive since I have read that you must re-install the operating system once a new motherboard is installed?

A:New Motherboard - how to preserve hard drive contents?

It may be possible to repair your operating system once you have the new mobo. Is it XP?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-motherboard-how-to-preserve-hard-drive-contents.54697/
Relevancy 55.04%

I upgraded a computer for someone by installing a new motherboard, RAM, video card, and CPU.
Asus P8P67 Deluxe
16GB Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB)
Nvdia Quadro 600 (PNY)
i5-2500k 3.3GHz, 6MB cache

The hard drive is the same from the old rig.
When I boot, I can get to BIOS fine, but when I go to boot Windows (XP), I get a STOP error blue screen saying it might be problems with my hard drive or drivers.

This is under Technical information:

***STOP: 0X0000007B (0XBA4C3524, 0XC0000034, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

I've talked to my father who is very knowledgable and has described a similar problem in the past. Despite his ability, he says he has to take it to a technician to fix it.

Anyone have any help or suggestions?

A:New motherboard, old hard drive, same ol' blue screen

Did you format the old drive and re-install Windows fresh?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-motherboard-old-hard-drive-same-ol-blue-screen.174960/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have an ECS N2U400A-Ultra mobo and a BUSlink Seria ATA Controller card controlling a Raptor. What I cant figure out is how to make the Hard Drive activity led work.

A:Motherboard Hard Drive Activity Led problem

As that is a PCI card, it does not have a connection to the control-light that connects to the motherboard's IDE controller.
Unless there is a LED-connector on that BUSlink card, you'll have to live without it.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/motherboard-hard-drive-activity-led-problem.24894/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hi I have a very old dual-boot system of Win Win It has a motherboard using Intel's P chipset running a Core Duo E and ATI Radeon HD graphics This is all hardware Anyway it's clear there's something wrong with the USB on this motherboard I've been having increasing issues with multiple USB devices amp now the system in both OSes constantly acts as though I'm pressing lt much to motherboard drive migrating newer hard ctrl gt amp scrolling the mouse button taking the text size of my desktop browser whatever to the smallest size It's essentially migrating hard drive to much newer motherboard unusable I've swapped out the keyboard amp mouse with known good ones I've checked both OSes with two anti-malware scanners of everything amp got nothing so I'm certain it's the motherboard so I plan to replace the system with a new home-built one using whatever's current-- a Haswell CPU etc Before transplanting I always install the drivers I'll need amp change the video to generic VGA things like that I've done this multiple times before amp never had an issue with crashing or instability But I've never made a leap this big in terms of hardware generations My big concern is is with the Intel chipset infs specifically SATA AHCI Fortunately the two hard drives in this box are configured as AHCI Should I be fine with both Win amp Win on a current Intel chipset I will make sure the SATA AHCI on the new motherboard is Intel configured as AHCI Or do I need to somehow force the latest Intel inf cat files onto the OSes before the transplant I've noticed if I download the latest installer it will show everything's current amp skip everything I'm pretty sure it doesn't even copy to the OS the ones that don't apply thanks

A:migrating hard drive to much newer motherboard

As the new MOBO's now have a uEFI/BIOS firmware.
How to install Windows 64 bit on a uEFI/BIOS firmware:

UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 7 with - Windows 7 Help Forums
or
UEFI (Unified Extensible Firmware Interface) - Install Windows 8 with

For more info on UEFI:
Windows and GPT FAQ
Unified Extensible Firmware Interface - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
UEFI Firmware
Technical Note: UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS, Advantech(EN) - YouTube
Sample: Configure UEFI/GPT-Based Hard Drive Partitions by Using Windows PE and DiskPart

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/36780-migrating-hard-drive-much-newer-motherboard.html
Relevancy 55.04%

I recently obtained a copy of Windows Ultimate through Microsoft's quot Get Genuine Online quot program having previously bought a counterfeit copy online My motherboard has developed 7 to new and Replacing Ult HD drive--need hard to motherboard Win move several serious issues--the SATA ports will NOT work and I'm having to set the RTC every time I power Replacing motherboard and hard drive--need to move Win 7 Ult to new HD the system up I've exchanged several emails with Biostar which manufactured my motherboard and they are of the opinion that it is defective I have obtained a replacement MB of the EXACT same make and model although a different version number and will be installing it very shortly I am also preparing to replace my hard drive as it is beginning to show its age SpeedFan indicates a Replacing motherboard and hard drive--need to move Win 7 Ult to new HD SMART fitness level of The replacement drive will be a Seagate TB RPM SATA drive I also have an external hard drive enclosure which I will use with the old hard drive to transfer the files and settings over From what I have read online both here and on Microsoft's website I don't think I have any license problems to worry about since I am replacing a defective motherboard with the same make and model What I am concerned about however is how to go about transplanting as it were Windows and my files from my old hard drive to the new one How do you suggest I proceed Thanks in advance for your time and assistance

A:Replacing motherboard and hard drive--need to move Win 7 Ult to new HD

It sounds like you now have a retail copy of Win7 which can migrate to any other hardware you want whenever you please. It's only locked to a mobo when you have preinstalled Factory OEM or Builder's OEM copy.

Was this counterfeit an OEM copy which MS replaced also with an OEM copy?

If not then there are no worries, just stick with these same basic steps which cover everything to get a perfect Clean Reinstall.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/287669-replacing-motherboard-hard-drive-need-move-win-7-ult-new-hd.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello i have a custom built computer with MSI PM8M-V class v mother board and cannot get it to read my SATA hard drive. I have had this computer running before from the help of a no more available friend. I remember having to do something with a floppy driver and now tried to boot from the floppy i thought would do it but does not work any suggestions?

A:how to get motherboard to read SATA hard drive

You need to put the SATA drivers on a floppy.
Press F6 when prompted to install SCSI or raid drivers early
during the loading of the windows CD.
It will prompt for the drivers.
Follow the instructions.
The sata drivers can be downloaded from the manufacturer website,
or are on the motherboard CD.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-get-motherboard-to-read-sata-hard-drive.764110/
Relevancy 55.04%

I'm hoping someone can help with a question about an old computer.  We have an HP a744x with an Asus A7N8X-LA motherboard.  I took the hard drive out to put it in an enclosure and look at it on my computer and then went to put it back and could not remember how it went in.  It's a SATA drive.  Can someone direct me to a picture or give me a precise description of how it screws back in.  I have the four screws I took out of it.   It was not in a drive bay. If you have a photograph or know of a link that will show me the inside of that computer (or possibly any 700 series picture will help) I would very much appreciate it.

A:Help locating hard drive position on motherboard

Hint:  if the "data" cable is still attached to the motherboard, it has a "memory" of how its been, for several years, bent and kinked to reach where the disk-drive previously was mounted.  So, its "habitual" position gives you a clue as to where the disk-drive used to be. Of course, you have the freedom to mount the disk-drive anywhere that there is a 3.5-inch wide "drive-bay", as long as the "power" and "data" cables are long-enough to reach that location.   > I have the 4 screws. The disk-drive has 2 screw-holes on one side, and 2 matching screw-holes on the other side.Also, if you look at the "bottom" (the visible circuit-board), you should see 4 more screw-holes -- one near each corner. So, if the drive does not fit into a "drive-bay", look for a plate with 4 matching holes.Put a screw through the plate, and into one of the "bottom" holes on the disk-drive. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Help-locating-hard-drive-position-on-motherboard/td-p/5842039
Relevancy 55.04%

ok first i have one gb maxtor IDE l r and a seagate barracuda SATA st as the maxtor is connected to the primary master ide and the seagate is connected to the VIA chipset SATA motherboard/chipset? hard drive Solved: or raid controller on-board the MB ASUS K V-VIA K T the drivers are all up to date for the entire computer and windows is fully updated always-on connection now to the problem the seagate SATA drive D drive during use causes the Solved: hard drive or motherboard/chipset? entire system to stutter and after prolonged use such as a large file transfer between drives causes the entire system to freeze EVERYTHING comes to a halt power is still provided to the system fans etc and the only way to power off is to hold the power switch all i need to know is could the SATA controller hardware be dying the integrated audio has died is it the hdd and would a SATA-to-ide adapter SATA connector one side IDE on the other cause performance loss i use this drive for games the sata is still in warranty but the MB left warranty long ago the shop that the computer came from went bust and i have no packaging thanks for the help in advance nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

Hello all Here is my problem setup Hard problem Drive/Motherboard It s long but I ll give the condensed version My father is household tech Hard Drive/Motherboard setup problem guy He s upgrading my motherboard to fit more ram When installing everything we ve encountered a problem The computer is no longer booting correctly It recognizes the harddrive tries to load it and NOTHING The best we ve done is gotten the computer to boot to DOS From there we were able to find out that what was formerly the C drive is now called D What was formerly the D drive Recovery drive is now the C This is the guess of why it is not booting properly We tried to manually run Windows XP and boot it from DOS but could not figure otu how In the BIOS the Primary drive is listed correctly We re not sure what to do Unfortuantly I do not have the recovery CD s for windows They are at my house and I m at my parents Does anyone have a solution or ideas Here s the best I can give you on teh details of hardware everything except the motherboard and graphics card are original equipment from a HP Pavilion A N It is an ATX motherboard that IS compatible with the hard drive Any help would be appreciated thanks James nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

I have a problem and it's driving me nuts I am new to Windows and I'm not sure if I am missing a setting in to get this to work Here's the problem I just bought an HP drive to connect hard SATA motherboard IDE Can't system see specs with SATA connections only I have an IDE drive from my Windows XP system that I would Can't connect IDE hard drive to SATA motherboard like to install in my new system I have tried a controller card and an adapter Neither have worked When I start the system I get to the start up screen that gives me the option of entering BIOS Boot Menu and a couple others Lately it just stays there If I leave it alone it will go no farther If I select either of the options it says quot enter xxxx quot but it goes no where If I disconnect the drive it starts up normally When I can get into BIOS the drive is recognized and the original drive is set as the first to boot I have even tried all the SATA Controller settings IDE RAID AHCI and nothing There had been a Can't connect IDE hard drive to SATA motherboard few times that I actually reached Windows but the drive was listed as unallocated and I could do nothing with it If I tried I got the error message quot Device not ready quot Unfortunately I can't even get that far anymore A format was suggested so I copied all my data to my external drive and formatted in XP No luck I keep hearing that either setup should work but it doesn't The system is completely updated and the drivers for the controller card are the Windows drivers from the manufacturer Any thoughts on what to try I do want this installed internally not by USB Thanks Mike

A:Can't connect IDE hard drive to SATA motherboard

When you say you have tried a controller card do you mean a PCI card?

Same with "adapter" is it an IDE to SATA adapter that connects to the drive itself?

I am wondering if you need to change a PCI setting if it's a PCI card controller.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/49021-cant-connect-ide-hard-drive-sata-motherboard.html
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello, i have an ECS P4IBAS Motherboard and was wondering if it can support a 160GB hard drive. The bios is Award Modular BIOS 6.00PG v1.1 and the motherboard has the Intel 845 Chipset. I currently have an 80gb hard drive which is about to fail (it has a very high reallocated sector count) and i really want to get a bigger hard drive as 80gb isnt enough for me anymore. The year of my bios is 2001. So will this motherboard support a 160GB hard drive without having to flash my bios?

Thanks, Nissanman.

A:Hard Drive Support For ECS P4IBAS Motherboard?

Yes, depending on the OS. The Award BIOS will handle it. But, unless you use XP Service Pack 2 or 3, your maximum size per partition is 132 gb before formatting or 128, or so, after formatting.
Best thing to do is format it with whatever OS you have, then extend the partition with a partition manager such as PartIt, Norton Ghost, Acronis, or the like.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-support-for-ecs-p4ibas-motherboard.110005/
Relevancy 55.04%

Hello to all of you I have an Intel Pentium computer with Me as the operating Hard computer! crashes Drive system I recently a Western Digital external drive called the quot My Book Essential quot I plugged it in the first time everything seemed to go well Hard Drive crashes computer! and then it stopped It froze everything I tried again and this time nothing happened my screen just froze and there were no peripherals installed When i unplug it the screen comes to life and I see D Drive cannot write to A blue screen warning Now I know that my usb plugs work well cause this week I plugged in a card reader and in less than minutes it was working According to Hard Drive crashes computer! WD my system needs no drivers for this external drive I have read comments that it seesm to work well with XP but has trouble with Me What should I do return it Use it to crack nuts with it Thanks for any answers nbsp

Relevancy 55.04%

Ok so i came home last night from a day of the fair and going to megans house I boot my computer to find out the blue sceen of death appears quot unmountble boot volume quot By the sound of that I know Win XP is going to need a reload Im fine with that But the messed up part is i hook the HD to another computer and theres nothing on the disk A complete RAW data partion kb or what the properties box says Explain how Drive mysteroiusly crashes Hard a hard drive can just Hard Drive mysteroiusly crashes magically reformat itself as a RAW partition Ghosts Heres what the disk consisted of or HAD - a C Windows XP partition - a Linux RedHat partition - F Network drive partition Even more wierd when my HD is a slave my F is still intact and readable by other master HD However the clicking the Hard Drive mysteroiusly crashes properties of C thrashes hard drive and then tells me C is not formatted would you like to Hard Drive mysteroiusly crashes bla bla bla shut up Any help is needed and this doesnt seem possible unless a ghost came into my house and reformatted my drive BUT my WindowsXP bootscreen loads nbsp

A:Hard Drive mysteroiusly crashes

Sounds like the controller on the HDD is stuffed - that's why when its slaved to another drive it works OK, because its being driven by the controller of the other HDD. You should recover what data you can and then return that HDD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-mysteroiusly-crashes.15360/