Windows Support Forum

After re-connecting HDD, reset to RAW from NTFS. Fix Needed.

Q: After re-connecting HDD, reset to RAW from NTFS. Fix Needed.

So recently my machine has been in my backpack travelling with me due few reasons. When I came home today and mounted it all up again, one of my HDDs became RAW system and I am unable to access it. Now Windows keeps insisting that I should format the drive but I really need to preserve most of the saved data.

Iv downloaded TestDisk but have no idea how to use it.

Is there a way to at least recover my files? I really need to get another backup drive to have my important work saved on.

Using Windows 7 x64 Pro.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: After re-connecting HDD, reset to RAW from NTFS. Fix Needed.

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: After re-connecting HDD, reset to RAW from NTFS. Fix Needed.

Shall I let Windows format the drive? Would this make me loose all my data?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/after-re-connecting-hdd-reset-to-raw-from-ntfs-fix-needed.192055/
Relevancy 55.04%

I have a system with this config:

C: 120GB Vista 32-bit install (boot drive)
D: 250GB data storage (NTFS, no encryption)

Tomorrow I plan on installing the release version of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit on a new 750GB HD. My new config will be

C: 750GB Win7 64-bit install (boot drive)
D: 250GB data storage (NTFS, no encryption)

All drives are SATA. Will Win 7 be able to find and read the 250GB HD or is there something I need to do/consider....hoping I don't have to find a way to back this sucker up first.

Thanks,
Scott

A:Connecting Vista HD (NTFS) to 7

You shouldn't have any problems. I would first suggest you run the windows 7 upgrade advisor to make sure your system can run 7. Are you going to 64 bit or staying with 32 bit? I would install 7 on the drive you want it on with the other disconnected. To avoid any boot mngr issues. Formatt the disc and away you go.Turn off and unplugg ,then plug in your data drive and reboot. Everything should be fine as long as your hardware is 7 compatible. Win 7 upgrade advisor download. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...1-2497c146af15 good luck welcome to 7 forum. Fabe One more thing would you please go to your user CP top of page and fill in your system specs? It will help other help you in the future.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/30448-connecting-vista-hd-ntfs-7-a.html
Relevancy 52.89%

Does anyone know how to fix a Ntfs.sys file without resorting to using the OS installation CDs? I got the message the about Windows not being able to start because of a missing or corrupt Ntfs.sys. Because I don't have the installation CDs I just copied a Ntfs.sys file off the other PC in our house put it on my flash disk and restarted the PC with this message. It booted up fine into windows but my system is unstable, it restarts at random. Sometimes it works ok and then sometimes it reboots repeatedly, and I got the message again a few times but I just press the reset button and it boots up fine again. So I am able to work in windows, can I fix the file in windows without doing that whole thing with the installation CDs and RC session?

A:Fix a corrupt Ntfs.sys, help needed

Have you tried System restore? Go back to a date you know it was working correct!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fix-a-corrupt-ntfs-sys-help-needed.555638/
Relevancy 52.03%

I am mirroring a 20GB to an 80GB Hard Drive. I've tried Ghost and HDClone and a few others. The Hard Drive is going into an IBM ThinkPad T30. If I run Ghost 2003 (8.0) the 80GB does not boot in the ThinkPad. If I use HDClone and do a 1-to-1 clone, it boots perfectly, except it doesn't resize the partitions. The hard drive has 2 partitions, 1 is the NTFS partition, and the other is the IBM_Tools partition. I can use a program like linux, GParted, to move the IBM_tools partition to the end of the drive, but I still can't get the NTFS partition to resize to rest of the drive (approx 74GB). Now the NTFS partition is currently only 16GB.

Any suggestions???
Tim

Relevancy 52.03%

I would search for this problem however I cannot seem to go from page to page here and search without signing in on each page today????
My question is I have my C drive in NTFS buy my external hard drive is FAT32 does this make a difference? Should I change it and if so how? Thank so much. Also I need help with my highjackthis file seems to be taking 10 to 15 mins to boot up and than I have to reboot again once I do this I am usually okay.

Relevancy 49.88%

Recently reset a Linksys Router. The only settings I changed were the name of the Router, the password, and the security settings to WPA2. My computer is able to connect to the router and has internet access. However, my cell phone is able to connect to the router/wireless network successfully but the internet is not working. Is their a setting on the router that I need to change to ensure that my cell phone can access the internet?

Thank you for your time.

A:Reset Linksys Router problems connecting

it maybe a DNS issue - what are the phone network settings
IP address
DNS address

can we see an ipconfig /all from the working PC

------------------------------------------------------------------------
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post the results in a reply here.
Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the file and paste here.

We would like to see the results from an ipconfig /all - post back the results in a reply here.

This should also work for windows 8
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box
(A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results into notepad and then automatically open the notepad and display on your screen.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results into a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will now be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy

Now go back to the forum - goto the reply and then right click in the reply box and paste the results.
The results from the notepad should now appear in the forum reply.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reset-linksys-router-problems-connecting.1078600/
Relevancy 48.59%

Hi,

I've got a Compaq Presario CQ61 with Windows 7 Home Premium installed on it.

Now, lately my computer's been causing me a lot of troubles, up to the point I'd like to set it back
to factory settings. Now, the computer's a couple of years old, and I do not have any disk of Windows,
nor the registration codes.

Do I need those to put the computer back to factory settings, or does my OS remain as it is today?

Greetings,

Narah

A:Disc needed for reset?

Open Disk Management. Does the Hard drive have a Recovery Partition shown?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/549558/disc-needed-for-reset/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello everyone I've been having this problem with my computer since I had it built a while back When I'm doing anything on my computer it will sometimes completely freeze up and I will have to do a hard reset to fix it After I do a hard reset my mouse and wireless network adapter It's a USB one will have to be replugged for them to work again I've tried getting a new HDD and graphics card both of those replacements failed in remedying the problem I'm completely unsure of what could be causing the problem now I'm not sure if this is related or not but I originally had another motherboard of the same type in it but it failed then later I had to remove one RAM stick I originally had GB of RAM in the computer but now I've had to remove all of the sticks except the one Also Speccy shows that my RAM is at MHz while I have it set to MHz in the BIOS Here's my Needed Reset Crashing Hard & specs Operating System Microsoft Windows Professional -bit SP CPU Intel Core i K GHz RAM GB Single-Channel DDR Motherboard ASRock X Extreme Graphics AMD Radeon HD Series HDD GB Western Digital Any help would be really appreciated thanks so much in advance

A:Crashing & Hard Reset Needed

Thank you for supplying your specs, but you forgot the most important one, the Power Supply Unit.
Freezing is usually caused by overheating or an underpowered or failing PSU. Remove the side clean out all dust, blow out all fans with a can of compressed air. Look at the label and post the Make, Model # and Wattage of the PSU. If it is under 500Watts it is underpowered for your setup Get a PSU of 550Watts or better. .
Boot into Setup (Bios) and set it to Failsafe Defaults (F5). This should set the proper speed for your RAM.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/crashing-and-hard-reset-needed-691834.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello I ll try to keep this simple Have a Compaq running XP Home Automatically updated MS when I shut down Would not load after updates were completed Being a complete moron I figured I d just save all of my info and use the Re-Install CD s from Compaq I attached the drive to my Sony Vaio XP Media via USB to gather my files off this drive Once connected to Help HD Partitions DOS in Drive needed reset it automatically gave the problem Compaq drive the letter O as the identifier Now when I try to reinstall back on the Compaq it errors out I then formatted the Hard Drive via Sony Vaio and tried to access it again Have the drive back in the Compaq and trying to quot fdisk quot in the hopes of re-identifing the drive as C Well I m getting the error CDR Not ready Help needed to reset HD Drive Partitions in DOS reading drive N Think drive quot N quot is the area that Compaq places the Restore Information Ok Guess what I m asking is How do I get DOS or whatever the Compaq is referring to to ignore drive quot N quot or quot O quot for that matter so I can get the system back up and running with the Restore CD s It appears to me when I run the Restore and try to start Windows it is looking for information on either C or O and cannot continue to load Any suggestions THANKS off to take some asprin nbsp

A:Help needed to reset HD Drive Partitions in DOS

Try booting with a DOS disk and run FDISK /MBR

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-needed-to-reset-hd-drive-partitions-in-dos.543565/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi I had the MonaRonaDona - not a big deal by all accounts but once I removed it my firefox still crashed and then I was getting crash reports from IE too so I thought I d do a quick system restore and get everything back to hunk dory-- BUT no having run sys restore my laptop goes to reboot help removed..then needed reset trojan sys says sorry for inconvenience but windows has encountered a problem choices of safe safe with prompt run from last good trojan removed..then sys reset help needed etc NONE of them work I get a flash of an error page in blue background tried taking pics of it but it s literally up there for a nano-second I dont have a boot disc or a win xp trojan removed..then sys reset help needed disc but can get them but would really appreciate any help to tell me why this has happened is it part of the trojan or have I done something stupid Is there a way of getting my lovely wee lappy back to life without having to use extreme measures nbsp

A:trojan removed..then sys reset help needed

well , I did a format of my C drive.....seeing as I got no advice or help from any of you guys, I was tearing my hair out and went for first/best option which was my mate wi an XP recovery disc - I've only ever formatted a floppy before!- nervous is NOT the word!!!. In the end I got a basic XP going, but need to figure out how to get my wireless going - got ? marks at my drivers and it keeps looking for a dial up connection when I do the internet connection wizard (what!!??) when I try to go on line - help me.... before I chuck it in the bin please! I would really appreciate answers - not just lookers as this is a real and genuine problem. Thanks you guys....waiting for help

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trojan-removed-then-sys-reset-help-needed.689972/
Relevancy 47.73%

hi
i would like to get help in unlocking windows 7 password, it is my best friend's computer , the password is forgotten, i have searched all the time on the net but all the software i tried did not work,,, i do not really want to re-insall W7 again , many programs and software to keep,,, it would be appreciated if i get help in this

Yousif

A:Urgent help needed to reset windows 7 password

Quote: Originally Posted by nuflia

hi
i would like to get help in unlocking windows 7 password, it is my best friend's computer , the password is forgotten, i have searched all the time on the net but all the software i tried did not work,,, i do not really want to re-insall W7 again , many programs and software to keep,,, it would be appreciated if i get help in this

Yousif

Here is a link to a tutorial on resetting the Admin password (Reset User Account Password - Vista Forums). May be what you need.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/96970-urgent-help-needed-reset-windows-7-password.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi, I just obtained a used/refurbished E6430. The BIOS (A09) is protected with an Administrator Password. How do I reset it?

A:E6430 BIOS Password Reset Needed

HARRIGILL,
If this computer has a BIOS password you will need to contact Dell Support by phone for a release code. Click the link below.
System prompts for a Hard Drive or BIOS password
If it is a Windows Administrator Password. You would need a password reset disc or reinstall Windows. At  the link below is information of a  google search link with many post about forgotten Administrator passwords and how to resolve resetting or bypassing,
Forgotten Wiindows Administrator Passwords

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19991944
Relevancy 47.73%

I've just installed my new Pluscom NAS. I set it up fine and it works great for all PCs on my LAN (four Windows clients) so I decided to explore FTP next - then realised that none of my usual passwords seem to work! Ie I can't proceed past the login screen of the configuration area to complete the setup

I've tried 50 combinations to no joy. Worse still, there seems to be no reset facility and there is next to no support available for this

Can someone please guide me through how to reset the NAS back to factory settings, so that admin/admin works again? I'm now familiar enough with the interface to create the accounts, folders and workgroup settings.

Thanks - I've tried everything.

J

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-needed-reset-password-re-pluscom-nas-rdc3282.967260/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hey dunno if anyone can help me here..... I reformatted a computer and installed windows. everything is working fine apart from there is no sound. the drivers have obviously uninstalled themselves.....and i do not have the installation disks!! I have searched the internet but do not really know what im looking for! HELP?!?

A:HELP needed! I have reset windows and now have no audio devices!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Do you have onboard sound, or a separate sound card?

If you have onboard sound and your computer is an oem build, such as Dell/Compaq/Gateway etc. You can get your sound drivers etc from your computer manufacturers website.

If your computer is not an oem build. You can get the sound drivers from your mobo manufacturers website. You should also install the chipset(mobo) drivers as well.

If you have a separate sound card, you will need to go to your soundcard manufacturers website.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-needed-i-have-reset-windows-and-now-have-no-audio-devices.48027/
Relevancy 47.73%

I was watching a Britain's Got Talent video on youtube and the the computer froze. The mouse as well. I had to press the reset button on the front of the computer to get it to work again. I reset the computer and during the boot screen it said "system drive fail press CTRL+ALT+DEL" I reset the computer again and now the computer works fine. Any ideas to what may have caused this and what to do to fix it?

CPU: AMD Athlon XP 3200+
Motherboard: ASUS A7N8X-X
RAM: 1.25GB DDR400
Hard Drive: MAXTOR 120GB
PSU: 400W
GPU: Sparkle Nvidia 5700LE
DVD ROM and DVD-RW Floppy Disk
Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Relevancy 47.73%

This problem has been happening for a few months now. When I try to turn on my computer using the power button located on the front of the case, I hear the fan running but my monitor's status light is just blinking; nothing on the screen. At that point I press the hard reset button on the front of the case and then it boots up normally, with the BIOS screen and everything. This happens about 90% of the time; the other 10% it boots up fine. How can I make it so my PC boots up properly when I press the power button?

I know I shut down the PC every night by going to the Start menu and choosing shut down. Any help would be appreciated.

A:PC won't boot up with power button; reset needed

See that the connector for the Power Switch is plugged in properly to the M/B pins.

If possible, replace the Power Supply with a working one to verify if it's a faulty PSU.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/pc-wont-boot-up-with-power-button-reset-needed.232750/
Relevancy 47.3%
A:Needed: BIOS pwd reset, Dell Dimension 8400

Well got this from your manual anyway

Locate the 3-pin password jumper (PASS) on the system board, and attach the jumper plug to pins 2 and 3 to clear the password.
NOTE:
When you receive your computer, the jumper plug is attached to pins 1 and 2.
Close the computer cover
Connect your computer and monitor to electrical outlets, and turn them on.
After the Microsoft® Windows® desktop appears on your computer, shut down the computer
Turn off the monitor and disconnect it from the electrical outlet.
Disconnect the computer power cable from the electrical outlet, and press the power button to ground the system board.
Open the computer cover
Locate the 3-pin password jumper (PASS) on the system board and attach the jumper to pins 1 and 2 to reenable the password feature.
Close the computer cover
Connect your computer and devices to electrical outlets, and turn them on

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/needed-bios-pwd-reset-dell-dimension-8400.119981/
Relevancy 47.3%

If some kind soul were to look at this help with fluky connection issue then I could move to other Win sub-forums for other Winxp issues For weeks I have been fighting with the Hp Notebook spec icon above gt The biggest prob - selective web site connects partial internal link cont -So Sending this from the Dell laptop- as relay info from affected machine gt most sites incl techguys avg ms -won t hookup -Diag shows good connect Err.#12007 needed cat.reset Messg.Winsock with Solved: HELP: -just retry err w any manual inputs Solved: HELP: Messg.Winsock cat.reset needed with Err.#12007 to addr bar or thru links Finally a hour ago- Trying to force manual update ms the IE Netw Diagnostics gave this recount of messg I looked for an exact Event viewer text - none Error attempting to validate base providers -Not all server providers could be found in Winsock catalog Reset needed Red - Error - Server Addr not resolved - contact MS support In Http FTP trial boxes Click to expand If we could resolve this then I could directly reply to from affected HP Any all Help greatly appreciated for this old non-techie nbsp

Relevancy 47.3%

I keep hitting a blue screen and having an automatic reset occur after the win 7 loading screen. I managed to disable the auto-reset so I could read the error message.

It says:

A problem has been dtected and Windows has been shut down to prvent damage to your computer.

Technical information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xFFFFF880009A97E8, 0xFFFFFFFFC0000034, 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000 ).

I have already tried running chkdsk /f in command prompt and system restore (it couldn't find any places to restore from).

Please help, this is really important. Thank you!

A:blue screen reset loop - help needed urgently!

Tap F8 while it's booting and see if you can enter Safe mode with networking.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/blue-screen-reset-loop-help-needed-urgently-942153.html
Relevancy 46.87%

Just got a Panasonic plasma and it has a 15p connector for a PC. My laptop has the same and thought it would just be a case of connecting the two together with a cable......
Tried this but no signal being received on plasma.
Says in TV instructions I might need a conversion adapter but does not say what it is..says I will not need one if PC has a DOS/V compatible D-sub 15P terminal..how would I find out if mine has..
This is all new to me so any help appreciated

Cheers

Martin

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-needed-connecting-laptop-to-plasma.433528/
Relevancy 46.87%

Just got a Panasonic plasma and it has a 15p connector for a PC. My laptop has the same and thought it would just be a case of connecting the two together with a cable......
Tried this but no signal being received on plasma.
Says in TV instructions I might need a conversion adapter but does not say what it is..says I will not need one if PC has a DOS/V compatible D-sub 15P terminal..how would I find out if mine has..
This is all new to me so any help appreciated

Cheers

Martin

PS (sorry for 2 posts...was not sure which one forum to post on)

Relevancy 46.44%

Hello hello I ve just installed windows XP onto my IMac connecting internet needed Trouble (help the ASAP) to as there are some programs that i now require for my graphical design Trouble connecting to the internet (help needed ASAP) work that only work on Windows Unfortunately when i load windows i m unable to join my normal wireless network I haven t used windows in a while so figuring out how to connect has been nothing short of a Trouble connecting to the internet (help needed ASAP) Herculean ordeal I ve followed various troubleshooting guides and all have proved as useless as each other I was told to go control panel - network connections and then to click on quot wireless network connections quot unfortunately no such button exists in the network connections window Is it not possible to use the internet on windows if its on a mac or is there some sort of update or driver i need to get Any help would be greatly appreciated as my graphic design work is suffering immensely from having to constantly shift from windows to OSX just to get on the web Thanks again nbsp

A:Trouble connecting to the internet (help needed ASAP)

You actually provided no useful information to help solve the issue.

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

Name of your ISP (Internet Service Provider).
Make and exact model of the broadband modem.
Make and exact model and hardware version of the router (if a separate unit).
Model numbers can usually be obtained from the label on the device.
Connection type, wired or wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (none, WEP, WPA, or WPA2)
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP (Home or Pro), SP1-SP2-SP3, Vista (Home, Business, Ultimate), etc.
The Internet Browser in use, IE, Firefox, Opera, etc.

Please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

If you're using a wireless connection, have you tried a direct connection with a cable to see if that changes the symptoms?
For wireless issues, have you disabled all encryption on the router to see if you can connect that way?
Have you connected directly to the broadband modem to see if this is a router or modem/ISP issue?
If there are other computers on the same network, are they experiencing the same issue, or do they function normally?

On any affected computer, I'd also like to see this:

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD (COMMAND for W98/WME) to open a command prompt:

Type the following commands on separate lines, following each one with the Enter key:

PING 206.190.60.37

PING yahoo.com

NBTSTAT -n

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-connecting-to-the-internet-help-needed-asap.788254/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi Guys! (I am new here)

I am aiming to start a mini cyber cafe, in my rural village (Mpumalanga, South Africa). I have started a photocopy and printing cafe in my village helping my community to access fax, photocopy, printing and internet facilities. At the moment I provide internet through my laptop with mobile broadband. The response is great and created a demand since I introduced a job seeker's promotion.

I intend to connect 2 x desktop computers (clients) to my laptop (server) and a multifunctional printer. I will be using a mobile broadband HSPA+ connection (result of being in rural area). I also intend to use a wireless router (maybe a TP-Link: TL-MR3420) My question is what are the best ways to complete a good network?

A:Connecting a mini cyber cafe, help needed!

I have been doing some searches on the net and found some nice internet management softwares, I choose Handy Cafe because it's free and I have seen some internet cafe's using it. I have downloaded the server and client files and registered with to get a user license. I installed them successfully on all three machines all thats left is getting the network up and going. That done my question still stands.

Any advise please!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-a-mini-cyber-cafe-help-needed.1073632/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a Belkin Screencast AV4, which I am using to connect my laptop wirelessley to my TV. I have followed the setup instructions for the unit as best I can, however now I am stuck. I have onscreen instructions to follow, however I just can't seem to get the remote to work. I have checked the voltage on the remote's battery, and everything is fine on this front, however I still cannot get the Screencast to behave!

Here is a video that I created, which describes the issue that I am facing:

BelkinSetup Challenges

If anybody has any suggestions that will help me with getting the Screencast setup they will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Davo

A:Help needed with setting up a Belkin Screencast AV4, connecting laptop to HD TV

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-needed-with-setting-up-a-belkin-screencast-av4-connecting-laptop-to-hd-tv.1097753/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi there So in April I decided to go all in on an Alienware which I use for business and pleasure After a couple weeks I started noticing the computer would not wake from sleep - after on BSOD long reset Hard periods needed computer Invisible wake during extended times such as over night I would simply close the lid at night and open it in the morning where Invisible BSOD on computer wake after long periods - Hard reset needed the HDD light would come on and then the computer would be frozen in a state with a black screen before bootup where I am forced to hold the power button down to reset It would then tell me that the computer was Invisible BSOD on computer wake after long periods - Hard reset needed shut down incorrectly etc I finally had Dell tech support work on it who were absolutely fantastic at the time They went through all kinds of system setting changes including how the computer sleeps updated video and MANY other drivers including a reinstall of windows Problem persisted Next they sent a tech out to replace the Video cards problem persisted Next they replaced the HDD's motherboard and video cards again problem persisted They were completely stumped so they sent me a brand new system which is even better than the last one I had After a few days I noticed this system is doing the exact same thing I called tech support and the original guy is now in another department so I'm dealing with a new guy now who is starting from scratch again with this system I spoke with their manager as this guy wanted to reset the computer to factory again and he also suggested that they are sure that a reinstall of windows or an alien respawn they call it would solve my issue I tried to explain to them that this would be the third run of windows and I can't logically see why it is going to solve the issue now This is why I am now reaching out to this community This is a business computer as well so I don't really find it optimal to keep wiping it clean as I'm sure you can understand The strange thing is that times out of when I wake the computer in the morning it will be completely locked up and I have to hard reset so it doesn't do it all the time Even stranger is the fact that I have only managed to capture dump files that seem to be triggered from this event So for some reason it is not always creating a dump file but each and every time it says the computer was shut down incorrectly I look forward to anyone being able to shed some light on this as the entire team at Dell seems to be stumped Stevieb

A:Invisible BSOD on computer wake after long periods - Hard reset needed

Welcome to 7F.

Your dumps ared indicating a device driver as being the problem but none are showing.

Driver Verifier will stress your drivers and cause BSODs if any fail and will flag them up in the dump files. Follow this tutorial to enable/disable it. Driver Verifier - Enable and Disable

Information
Enable Driver Verifier but only enable these options:
Standard settings and IRP logging step 3.
Don't enable Force Pending I/O Requests

Warning
Make a System Restore point before enabling Driver Verifier.

Note
Your system will act very sluggishly while DV is enabled, this is normal as your drivers will be being subjected to heavy testing in order to make them crash.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/349752-invisible-bsod-computer-wake-after-long-periods-hard-reset-needed.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I am setting up a Win7 install using a 'scratch disk which formatted and has the operating system.

My media files are on older XP machine. The file transfer should be speedy on the
same computer but it is very slow.

Is there an instruction needed to 'pass through' more efficiently?

Example: 1 Gb file is taking 16 minutes or longer and a simple program folder of a small program will take 4 mins. It seems to be crawling.

Is there some difference between NTFS on XP and Win7?

If I have overlooked a previous answer, apologies.

A:Move an XP file in NTFS to Win7 NTFS is very slowed down on computer

What is the transfer medium? A network? Null cable? You don'tgive enough info to tell what you are doing other than that you are copying from XP to W7.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/383483-move-xp-file-ntfs-win7-ntfs-very-slowed-down-computer.html
Relevancy 43%

Is the new Vista NTFS files system compatible with the XP version when useing a storage partition formatted NTFS on a external SATA hard drive ? Or is it best to create separate partitions for each O/S, save files only on one for XP, and the other only for Vista files ? After I saved a few Vista files to that external SATA HD, connected by eSATA, and some by USB, then when booted into my other PC with XP, it really delayed when I opened that shared NTFS partition to view folders and files, which is as; D: drive for XP.

Relevancy 42.14%

i need ur help with this guys when i tried to reset my laptop it read quot could not find the files needed quot mine is an Acer aspire V it didn't came with an installation disc or media i know it should have a hidden partition for recovery but i think the system is having trouble with it i think a malware might have done this i got "could find windows the not reset Can't files 8 needed" malwarebytes i tried norton online scan and eset online scan but did not detect any before this i experienced my firefox browser icon on the taskbar progressing a download but cant see anything on downloads tab i closed firefox several times but it continued everytime i opened firefox and it did finished its download later i noticed explorer exe is always having an established connection in TCPview without me opening any apps so i thought i really need to reset the computer but this is my problem i would really appreciate anyone's help i've already run Dism Can't reset windows 8 "could not find the files needed" Online Cleanup-Image RestoreHealth restore health on command prompt but it showed no integrity violation

A:Can't reset windows 8 "could not find the files needed"

There are several issues in your question that need to be addressed.

First, you say you are running Windows 8.0, you have not upgraded to 8.1?

Second, Explorer may have a connection for several reasons. Such things as being signed in with a Microsoft Account and not a Local user, or OneDrive, or even apps that are suspended and not actually shut down. But I would not do a Reset for that.

If Firefox is doing something online, you might try opening the Resource Monitor and check the Network Tab. If you put a check mark in the Firefox image, it will filter for just that and you might be able to see what it is doing. If it is downloading a file, doing the same process on the Disk tab might tell you where it is downloading to. It could just be one of its updates.

The problem with your system not wanting to Reset will depend on if you have updated to 8.1. If you have not deleted the Recovery Image partition, you should be able to see it in Disk Management. If it is there, open an Administrative Command prompt window and type reagentc /info to see if the image is registered on your system.

If you have an updated 8.1 install, a Reset will take you back to Windows 8, if it works, and a Refresh will not work unless you have made a Custom Refresh Image.

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/47749-cant-reset-windows-8-could-not-find-files-needed.html
Relevancy 41.71%

Hey I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on this drive. NTFS-3G missing "disk corrupted usage" correct Files but NTFS one I was messing around on a Mac in OSX and moved my NTFS formatted in windows drive into the Mac to access my music I used NTFS- G for OSX in order to mount the drive as readable AND writable and everything was fine Drive worked everything accessible all good I booted up the Mac this morning and to my horror everything on the music drive except some Mac directories starting with was gone Scary feeling The drive usage used GB free or somewhere around there NTFS-3G corrupted NTFS drive. Files missing but "disk usage" correct is still shown correctly though so I have some hope NTFS-3G corrupted NTFS drive. Files missing but "disk usage" correct of recovering the data The drive is back in the windows machine now and it s still the same nothing miraculously re-appeared I know not to write anything to the drive until the data is recovered I have a backup but it s from August so I ve lost quite a bit of music that I bought online as well as some other stuff that was on that drive Any ideas on recovering the data bearing in mind that the disk usage appears to be correct As far as I can tell a bug in NTFS- G has written the allocation table or whatever it is in NTFS incorrectly effectively hiding the data from view but no disk-wiping operations have occured so it should still be there somewhere I know there are disk recovery utils out there but I ve no idea which ones will help and which ones might make the situation worse Many thanks in advance Ian nbsp

A:NTFS-3G corrupted NTFS drive. Files missing but "disk usage" correct

Essentially what I'm looking for, if such a thing exists, is a way to recover the allocation table rather than the files themselves (which are hopefully still intact).

Cheers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ntfs-3g-corrupted-ntfs-drive-files-missing-but-disk-usage-correct.756560/
Relevancy 41.71%

System Information local -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- computer name UNKKA-PC windows version Windows Service Pack build windows dir C Windows Hardware ASUSTeK Computer INC M A TD USB CPU ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x5A88) BSOD AuthenticAMD AMD Phenom tm II X T Processor AMD level logical BSOD ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x5A88) processors active mask RAM total -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Crash Dump Analysis -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Crash dump directory C Windows Minidump Crash dumps are enabled on your computer On Tue GMT your computer crashed crash dump file C Windows Minidump - - dmp This was probably caused by the following module ntfs sys Ntfs x A Bugcheck code x x FB xFFFFF xFFFFF FAE xFFFFF ECF D Error NTFS FILE SYSTEM file BSOD ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x5A88) path C Windows system drivers ntfs sys product Microsoft Windows BSOD ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x5A88) -k ytt j rjestelm company Microsoft Corporation description NT File System Driver Bug check description This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module Your system configuration may be incorrect Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time On Tue GMT your computer crashed crash dump file C Windows memory dmp This was probably caused by the following module ntfs sys Ntfs x A Bugcheck code x x FB xFFFFF xFFFFF FAE xFFFFF ECF D Error NTFS FILE SYSTEM file path C Windows system drivers ntfs sys product Microsoft Windows -k ytt j rjestelm company Microsoft Corporation description NT File System Driver Bug check description This indicates a problem occurred in the NTFS file system The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module Your system configuration may be incorrect Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system that cannot be identified at this time

A:BSOD ntfs.sys (Ntfs+0x5A88)

It's hard to read the root cause from this minidump, but the driver here appears to be one of Avast's binaries (aswSP.sys):

Code:
2: kd> !thread
GetPointerFromAddress: unable to read from fffff80002f00000
THREAD fffffa8005110b60 Cid 0004.01a0 Teb: 0000000000000000 Win32Thread: 0000000000000000 RUNNING on processor 2
IRP List:
Unable to read nt!_IRP @ fffffa800745f750
Not impersonating
GetUlongFromAddress: unable to read from fffff80002e3dba4
Owning Process fffffa8003b55040 Image: System
Attached Process N/A Image: N/A
fffff78000000000: Unable to get shared data
Wait Start TickCount 3420420
Context Switch Count 20003 IdealProcessor: 2
ReadMemory error: Cannot get nt!KeMaximumIncrement value.
UserTime 00:00:00.000
KernelTime 00:00:00.000
Win32 Start Address aswSP (0xfffff88004574e6c)
Stack Init fffff88003ba1db0 Current fffff88003ba17e0
Base fffff88003ba2000 Limit fffff88003b9c000 Call 0
Priority 8 BasePriority 8 UnusualBoost 0 ForegroundBoost 0 IoPriority 2 PagePriority 5
Child-SP RetAddr : Args to Child : Call Site
fffff880`03b9ffc8 fffff880`0124fa88 : 00000000`00000024 00000000`001904fb fffff880`03ba0fa8 fffff880`03ba0800 : nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff880`03b9ffd0 fffff880`0133e3e7 : fffff880`0129a7dc fffff880`03ba1370 fffff880`03ba1370 00000000`00000000 : Ntfs! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+0x2b49
fffff880`03ba0010 fffff800`02cfb4ec : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 : Ntfs! ?? ::NNGAKEGL::`string'+0x83b8
fffff880`03ba0050 fffff800`02cfaf6d : fffff880`0129a7d0 fffff880`03ba1370 00000000`00000000 fffff880`0124a000 : nt!_C_specific_handler+0x8c
fffff880`03ba00c0 fffff800`02cf9d45 : fffff880`0129a7d0 fffff880`03ba0138 fffff880`03ba0fa8 fffff880`0124a000 : nt!RtlpExecuteHandlerForException+0xd
fffff880`03ba00f0 fffff800`02d0adc1 : fffff880`03ba0fa8 fffff880`03ba0800 fffff880`00000000 00000000`00000038 : nt!RtlDispatchException+0x415
fffff880`03ba07d0 fffff800`02ccecc2 : fffff880`03ba0fa8 00000000`00000000 fffff880`03ba1050 00000000`00000000 : nt!KiDispatchException+0x135
fffff880`03ba0e70 fffff800`02ccd5ca : fffffa80`0745f750 fffff800`02ce12fc 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`050a0d00 : nt!KiExceptionDispatch+0xc2
fffff880`03ba1050 fffff880`012583f5 : fffff880`012d791d fffff8a0`02b06140 fffff880`012579bb fffff880`03ba1410 : nt!KiGeneralProtectionFault+0x10a (TrapFrame @ fffff880`03ba1050)
fffff880`03ba11e8 fffff880`012d791d : fffff8a0`02b06140 fffff880`012579bb fffff880`03ba1410 fffffa80`0745f750 : Ntfs!memcpy+0x1e5
fffff880`03ba11f0 fffff880`012d8ea1 : fffff880`03ba1410 fffff880`03ba1620 fffff880`03ba1410 fffff8a0`039e2100 : Ntfs!NtfsQueryNameInfo+0x135
fffff880`03ba1290 fffff880`012d7346 : fffff880`03ba1410 fffffa80`0745f750 fffff880`000001a0 fffffa80`000001dc : Ntfs!NtfsCommonQueryInformation+0x621
fffff880`03ba1370 fffff880`012d7b14 : fffff880`03ba1410 fffffa80`0745f750 fffffa80`0745faf0 00000000`00000000 : Ntfs!NtfsFsdDispatchSwitch+0x106
fffff880`03ba13f0 fffff880`010dcbcf : fffff880`03ba1690 fffff880`010dd329 fffff880`03ba1600 00000000`00010205 : Ntfs!NtfsFsdDispatchWait+0x14
fffff880`03ba15e0 fffff880`010db6df : fffffa80`04afdde0 fffffa80`04afdde0 fffffa80`04afdd00 fffffa80`0745f750 : fltmgr!FltpLegacyProcessingAfterPreCallbacksCompleted+0x24f
fffff880`03ba1670 fffff800`02f7cc0a : fffffa80`0745f750 fffff8a0`0a77a010 fffffa80`04afdde0 fffffa80`07470a60 : fltmgr!FltpDispatch+0xcf
fffff880`03ba16d0 fffff800`02fae8df : 00000000`00000004 00000000`00000000 fffff8a0`0a77a010 00000000`000007ff : nt!IopGetFileInformation+0xc6
fffff880`03ba1750 fffff800`02faeec2 : fffffa80`07470a60 00001f80`00000200 00000000`00000000 fffff880`03ba1aa0 : nt!IopQueryNameInternal+0x19f
fffff880`03ba17f0 fffff800`02fa72d0 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000 00000... Read more

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/374745-bsod-ntfs-sys-ntfs-0x5a88.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I couldn't find this problem being addressed, but I imagine it has somewhere. I recently purchased a new comp. I am trying to copy files from old hard drives onto my new comps hard drive. I thought the easy way would be to slap those drives in the comp. I seem to have the hardware working correctly. However, I get the "D:\ is not accessible. Access is Denied." error when I try to explore the volume. I am logged in as Admin. Is this an OS related issue.

Thanks

A:Hard Drive: Win 2k Pro NTFS to XP NTFS

The new comp has XP Home preinstalled. I have two hard drives which had been in the old computer and are formatted in Win 2k using NTFS. I have tried installing both drives as slaves on the main channel, slaves on the secondary (CD-R on it) channel and sole devices on the secondary channel. Results are the same. BIOS and Windows correctly indentify the hardware. And, Windows maps the drives. But, if I try to access volumes that I am certain are there, I get the error message.

Thanks a bunch for your response...it is quite frustrating

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-win-2k-pro-ntfs-to-xp-ntfs.9632/
Relevancy 40.42%

Ok well I formatted my previously fat gig drive to a quick format NTFS drive Well already I m noticing Also: NTFS problems gaming 2 format?, Format NTFS harddrive with or Quick a lot of lag moving a large file to the recycle ben took just about seconds Format with NTFS or Quick NTFS format?, Also: 2 harddrive gaming problems just moving not deleting When I went to defrag the drive because I know defragging on a small drive does Format with NTFS or Quick NTFS format?, Also: 2 harddrive gaming problems a lot more than on a large drive say gigs or so Well the drive contained a very large unmovable space which I never used to see on it as far as I can remember Does a quick format do such things like that Would that be causing my slow performance I was going to leave the computer on and let it defrag because it looked like it was going to take a long time the drive was already heavily fragmented for some reason Should I just do a normal NTFS format instead of the quick one Well pretty much my whole computer was on my gig drive but I didnt format it I m currently using my gig as my main drive because the is unbootable I m fine with just installing things to my d drive but it has been affecting my gaming proformance and I can t think what is causing it unless it is the problem above I don t see why games would run even slower than before on my gig drive I just keep coming back to the above problem for my solution Could it also be though something with the system trying to access my second harddrives registry because when I run games they arn t located in my current registry Still couldn t figure out how a game could run without being installed to the current registry but as long as it works nbsp

A:Format with NTFS or Quick NTFS format?, Also: 2 harddrive gaming problems

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/format-with-ntfs-or-quick-ntfs-format-also-2-harddrive-gaming-problems.292563/
Relevancy 39.99%

Hi there So I ve got a year old PIII w RAM Asus CUV X dual booting Ubuntu Breezy and WinXP About a week and a half ago I was using my machine in Linux and it locked up on me I pushed the reset button and it started up fine but shortly after it reset itself again I tried again and again it reset itself I noticed that the delay at it was resetting itself was pretty random sometimes it was a few seconds after resetting other times it was nearly half an hour after the OS booted Left it off for a week and just turned it on tonight went right into the BIOS to check the CPU temp Seemed fine watched it for a minute or so and then it then it reset itself which led me to confirm this was not a software issue since no OS s had the chance to load After that it began resetting itself repeatedly in half-second spurts probably or times and then stopped I shut it off turned it back on and now all that happens is that I can hear the Reset, Reset......Dead Reset, Solved: fans running but no sound of the Solved: Reset, Reset, Reset......Dead harddrives nor any output to the monitor It s pretty dead at the moment Obviously some component is on the fritz here but I have no idea what it would be I don t think it s the power supply since the fans are running fine and the CPU temp was OK Wasnt sure if it could be Solved: Reset, Reset, Reset......Dead the motherboard in some way I should also note that when I went into the BIOS to check the temp there was a red notice message telling me to check my CPU settings because of a previous failure but they all looked fine and I certainly haven t changed them recently or installed anything that would If anyone has any idea as to what component of my system Solved: Reset, Reset, Reset......Dead could be causing this I d appreciate your advice If whatever it is is fried hopefully I can reduce repair costs and just replace that part Thanks Dan nbsp

Relevancy 38.7%

My phone was slow so
i am reset my nokia lumia 710 model after i reset installed whatsapp but it is unable to login why??
i m entered the mobile number but Verification is shows
[ Can't register with this phone number .You can only register with the phone number that was last used with WhatsApp on this phone. ]
so please tell me the sollution

A:i am reset my nokia lumia 710 model after i reset installed whatsapp but it is unable to login why?

Originally Posted by Windows Central Question My phone was slow so
i am reset my nokia lumia 710 model after i reset installed whatsapp but it is unable to login why??
i m entered the mobile number but Verification is shows
[ Can't register with this phone number .You can only register with the phone number that was last used with WhatsApp on this phone. ]
so please tell me the sollution check that you're entering the right number, or try restarting your phone and trying again
If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/433146-i-am-reset-my-nokia-lumia-710-model-after-i-reset-installed-whatsapp-but-unable-login-why.html
Relevancy 38.7%

Hello everyone,

I'm kind of freaking out right now. I turned my computer off about 12 hours ago, and now that I turned it on again it took much longer than usual for it to prepare the desktop. When I got in, there are about 50 % of my desktop icons missing, the programs I had attached to the taskbar were missing, I opened chrome and all my bookmarks and other info were gone, most of my folders are empty (for example downloads folder contains nothing), my desktops wallpaper had changed to the default HP one, there are programs missing from the startup menu... I don't even know what other damage has been done yet. The only thing I can recall doing yesterday that could have caused this was downloading Red Alarm, but I'd love to know what is going on and how I can fix this.

Thanks for your time,
Sebruz

A:Tons of files missing, desktop reset, browsers and toolbars reset...

Some additional information:
I just found some of the missing files and folders from another location, but it seems like pretty much all software has reset somehow. Google Chrome's options, history, bookmarks etc are all gone, skype thought it was my first time using it and all the files my friend's have sent me at some point were re-sent. I even checked the trash bin, and I have no idea how but there are actually items there that I've emptied from the trash bin long ago.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/321434-tons-files-missing-desktop-reset-browsers-toolbars-reset.html
Relevancy 38.27%

Hey,
After backing up all my data to dvd's, and navigating my way through-out the windows xp cd screens, deleting the old partition, then making a new one, it asks me if I want to format with NTFS (Quick) or just NTFS file system. I have been doing the NTFS (Quick) option because its alot faster for many years now, and just recently I was wandering if the other option offers anything besides the speed difference. Does it do a deeper level of format, or does it re-align the heads. Just throwing out some ideas.

Thanks

A:NTFS Quick vs NTFS

Okay, I'm going to through out some of my (possibly hare-brained) ideas.

My guess is that what the quick format does is simply "knock" off the first data bit in every unit, much in the same way a simple erase doesn't actually delete ALL the data, just changes the first bit to "0".

So that's my guess. A quick format just changes the minimum number of bits to zero and doesn't actually "zero" every single bit on the entire drive.

I doubt that there is any "head realignment" or any other calibration going on, and would like to hear about it if so.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/ntfs-quick-vs-ntfs-161065.html
Relevancy 38.27%

I accidentally forgot to copy one folder of videos from my secondary hard drive I formatted to my other hard drive.

The folder of videos is about 60GB. I've seen some applications for sale that will let you unformat your hard drive.

Which one would you recommend or is there a free one?

How do I find out what version of ntfs my hard drive is? I guess since it is formatted it may not have a version number?

Relevancy 38.27%

Built my computer about months ago worked fine up until now My PC randomly freezes completely and suddenly Task manager wont open and I have to reset it however even after reset it takes forever to boot and it goes straight to the wont up, reset UEFI Computer to boot till full shutdown/reset goes button locking UEFI and not to Windows even if I exit the UEFI it won t boot into Windows until I shut it off completely then turn it back on My M g SSD Windows Drive doesn t show up in the Computer locking up, reset button goes to UEFI wont boot till full shutdown/reset boot menu but does in device manager my computer however this is not a new thing I suspected the SSD might be failing The freezing started after having my computer off for days it s never been Computer locking up, reset button goes to UEFI wont boot till full shutdown/reset shut off for more than a day or two I can think of no other unusual things Computer locking up, reset button goes to UEFI wont boot till full shutdown/reset I might have done or changed So far I have tried Resetting the BIOS overclocks to quot default quot they have been stable Running memtest for a period of hours with no errors Running MSI Kombuster burn-in-test for about half an hour This was happening while playing Battlefield I thought it might be the game GPU but it happens even while watching VLC or browsing Firefox and Chrome on their own Didn t crash Freeing up space in the Windows SSD It had less than GB now it has GB and the problem still occurs Checked all temperatures of CPU GPU Drives Mobo nothing is overheating Under GPU stress test It doesn t lag or give warnings it just locks up There were several large tmp files taking up space - gb in my windows SSD g M I deleted them but one reappeared I forgot the folder location it was a Temp folder I think under AppData it wasn t the windows temp folder The reason I mention it is because they were never there before I don t use my Windows SSD for anything beside a few quot essential quot small applications and then suddenly it was full which I didn t see until I was troubleshooting my current issue They were all hours old My only guess is BF was putting them there for some reason because my g SSD was too full They all started with SRA then random letters or numbers tmp nbsp

A:Computer locking up, reset button goes to UEFI wont boot till full shutdown/reset

The SSD might be failing. Is it still under warranty?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-locking-up-reset-button-goes-to-uefi-wont-boot-till-full-shutdown-reset.204640/
Relevancy 38.27%

Help!!! My ex roommate reset a password to my computer and now I can't get onto it I need to reset my password I don't care if I lose my data

A:reset paswrd toshiba windows 7 home without reset disk

Which password ?  Windows log in password or BIOS password ?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/492997/reset-paswrd-toshiba-windows-7-home-without-reset-disk/
Relevancy 38.27%

BSOD Still crashes after a factory reset. Attempt to reset the display driver and recover from timeout failed.

I thought a clean factory reset will fix the issue. But it is still has the BSOD. I have uploaded the zip file that contains the dump as instructed.

A:BSOD Still crashes after a factory reset. Attempt to reset the display

Your display driver is outdated.
Update it by following these instructions.

How-To Install AMD Catalyst? Drivers For A Windows? Based System

Code:
fffff880`046e0000 fffff880`04cf7000 atikmdag T (no symbols)
Loaded symbol image file: atikmdag.sys
Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\atikmdag.sys
Image name: atikmdag.sys
Timestamp: Thu Jul 02 18:45:07 2009 (4A4CF223)
CheckSum: 005C2509
ImageSize: 00617000
Translations: 0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/332418-bsod-still-crashes-after-factory-reset-attempt-reset-display.html
Relevancy 38.27%

I have a Windows 8 tablet Acer Iconia W700(I5 Core) and i am trying to factory reset to the default settings again because of the stupid problems i am having on the tablet.
Here is the problem i am trying to get into the BIOS which is the 1 step on the Acer website but for some bizarre reason when it is completely off i press the Windows button and the power button to get in to the BIOS as it says on the Acer Website but it keeps going to the start menu/desktop now instead of going to the BIOS. :/
I have factory reset/hard reset on my Acer Iconia W700 a couple times and i never had this problem before, i gone in to the BIOS no problem!!!
Can someone help me please?? Thanks!!!

A:Windows 8 tablet factory reset/hard reset problem!!! HELP!!

Is it still under warranty? You should try contacting Acer.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-tablet-laptop-discussion/397817-windows-8-tablet-factory-reset-hard-reset-problem-help.html
Relevancy 38.27%

I recently installed windows blinds i made my PC look awesome with a Windows Vista theme i came back on today and my theme was gone windows blinds somehow had a missing dll one program had completley vanished all of my quick launch buttons that are in the start menu are gone my custom tool bars were gone my icons were all put in a curtain order and not the way i Reset, Reinstalled? And Program Single Or Computer Reset Registrey> Every layed them out when i go into program files it says that showing this data might harm the pc or something like that the thing it says when you first go in there for the first time and you have to click on quot Show quot it Computer Reset, And Every Single Program Reinstalled? Or Reset Registrey> is saying that i am not admin when i am my close and minimize and maximize buttons are small and wont go big even when i change the setting i cant get a wallpaper to go on background it just stays blue This quot is now when it was in the right place it seems like my whole operating system has just been reinstalled WHAT THE HAS SOMEONE DONE TO IT OR WHAT THE HAS HAPPENED BECAUSE Computer Reset, And Every Single Program Reinstalled? Or Reset Registrey> IM PISSED OFF BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS ED PLEASE HELP ME GET MY PC BACK Computer Reset, And Every Single Program Reinstalled? Or Reset Registrey> And i have got to reinstall Windows Media Player again and probobly the Windows Updates i avnt got a clue what has gone and what hasnt anyone please help me im desperate for help with this one plus the pic of my theme is there so is something covering up my theme and windows blinds says it needs reinstalling that vista theme that is on now is a theme i downloaded it is not the theme that is ment to be on it did look like this nbsp

A:Computer Reset, And Every Single Program Reinstalled? Or Reset Registrey>

Can you get to System Restore and Restore it to a date before this happened......

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/computer-reset-and-every-single-program-reinstalled-or-reset-registrey.591017/
Relevancy 38.27%

Getting an infinite loading sort of error where my comp goes to HP loading screen, blackscreen, turns off, and repeats. Very annoying and nothing I've seen so far is working. I don't have a disk or drive to use to reload Windows with, and I didn't set any system restore points like an idiot, so I'm stuck here. I'm not that great with computers so any help would be appreciated, thanks.

A:Stuck restarting after failed factory reset, reset still not working

What is the full model number of the HP desktop?

http://www.tenforums.com/installation-setup/56564-stuck-restarting-after-failed-factory-reset-reset-still-not-working.html
Relevancy 37.84%

Afternoon Having recently today inherited my company s IT support role Without any real training qualifications I m coming across a number of small issues one of which is the following All machines at my company Pass. Admin Disk How to reset Password without Reset an are independently managed How to reset an Admin Password without Pass. Reset Disk by their own local Administrator account across the board the Username and Pass to access the Admin account is the same except for a single machine It seems this machine has a differing password to the other machines unfortunately the previous administrator is no longer contactable I however require access to the administrator account To the best of my knowledge he didn t set-up a Password Reset Disk either I ve read about various rd party tools which can enable the resetting of the Administrator Password but am loathe to try them without first hand confirmation of their validity etc On my head be it and so forth Is there any method to determine what the Admin pass may be or should I plump for a rd party tool to aid in the resetting of the pass If so does anyone have any suggestions for which to use If it makes any difference the machines are networked to a Mac Xserve server - though as I understand it I wont be able to access locally stored passwords through the server itself Many thanks for any light that can be shed upon this issue Mike nbsp

A:How to reset an Admin Password without Pass. Reset Disk

Sorry but this from TSG site rules:
"- Please do not ask for assistance with forgotten passwords and/or bypassing them. As there is no way to verify the actual situation and/or intentions, no assistance will be provided".

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-to-reset-an-admin-password-without-pass-reset-disk.1044901/
Relevancy 37.41%

I've got like a two-months old Windows system and 138 Ntfs (Ntfs) log event System event in error I've been trying to keep an eye on the event logs to see if there's any error events I need to try to get fixed Today I spotted the first one that really Ntfs (Ntfs) error event 138 in System event log concerns me In the System events log there's an Error type event with id number from source quot Ntfs Ntfs quot Unfortunately my Windows is not English language so I'm not really sure about what the error message would exactly be in English but I'd translate it something like this from the original Finnish quot Events resource manager encountered a serious error in target C It was shut down The data contains the error code quot I googled around and I think I found the English version of that event or at least something that sounds suspiciously the same and it is this quot The transaction resource manager at C encountered a fatal error and was shut down The data contains the error code quot Immediately after this error event there's a warning event from the same source of quot Ntfs Ntfs quot and that event probably says this quot The transaction resource manager on volume C encountered an error during recovery The resource manager will continue recovery quot These events appear to have happened during one of those many times the system is idle for a few minutes and starts doing some quot maintenance quot on its own in the background There's only one each of these error warnings in the log so far I checked with a filter and there haven't been other errors like these ever on this system My question What is this error event and should I be concerned it means my hard drive has decided to start falling apart It's a new drive WD Black and I haven't spotted any other signs of failure yet If I open the C drive's properties in Explorer and use the error-checking tool thing it runs quickly and says there are no errors on the drive I'd appreciate any help Hardware problems are scary Dealing with software I can mostly manage but when things physically break it's a little much for me

A:Ntfs (Ntfs) error event 138 in System event log

Update:

What better way to spend my time than fixing unwanted computer trouble, no?

I downloaded Western Digital's Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows and ran a Quick Test on the drive in question, it passed just fine. I'll try running an extended test later when I have more time.

Meanwhile, I also ran sfc /scannow, which I've done before on this system without issues, but what do you know, this time it came back with "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them". I love how these problems can just come out of nowhere. But I like it even better that if I hadn't peeked around in the event log, I wouldn't know anything about this. Windows reminds me every day with a nice popup if I haven't yet downloaded the latest Windows Defender definitions from Windows Update, but when something like this happens, I have to go digging through event logs and command prompts to find out there's a problem. Augh.

So, I of course checked the CBS.log file that the sfc command's result referenced. And of course, it's enormous, with like a million lines of text. It'll take me a good while to make any sense of it, but even a quick glance reveals a lot of stuff like this:

2015-08-24 22:43:54, Info CSI 000000f3 [DIRSD OWNER WARNING] Directory [ml:520{260},l:92{46}]"\??\C:\Windows\Help\Windows\ContentStore\en-US" is not owned but specifies SDDL in component Microsoft-Windows-Assistance-CollectionFiles-Help.Resources, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture = [l:10{5}]"en-US", VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral

2015-08-24 22:43:54, Info CSI 000000f4 Ignoring duplicate ownership for directory [l:46{23}]"\??\C:\Windows\SchCache" in component Microsoft-Windows-Active-Directory-Services-Interface-LDAP-Provider, Version = 6.3.9600.17415, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral

Do I understand any of that? Of course not.
Then, this stuff caught my eye near the end of the enormous log:

2015-08-24 22:50:24, Info CSI 00000850 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_prncacla.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17415_none_95dd5540d57f8c01\Amd64\CN BJ2530.DPB do not match actual file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" :
Found: {l:32 b:hb1Oxi3eMKqKoZDYay9Wz8NCYaEcFHDn4YNYmhTip10=} Expected: {l:32 b:n520k714Uu3utHa5JGQ6HQYbZphKhlMWq5pEmfnCDuw=}

2015-08-24 22:50:24, Info CSI 00000851 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.17415, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

2015-08-24 22:50:24, Info CSI 00000852 Hashes for file member \SystemRoot\WinSxS\amd64_prncacla.inf_31bf3856ad364e35_6.3.9600.17415_none_95dd5540d57f8c01\Amd64\CN BJ2530.DPB do not match actual file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" :
Found: {l:32 b:hb1Oxi3eMKqKoZDYay9Wz8NCYaEcFHDn4YNYmhTip10=} Expected: {l:32 b:n520k714Uu3utHa5JGQ6HQYbZphKhlMWq5pEmfnCDuw=}

2015-08-24 22:50:24, Info CSI 00000853 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:36{18}]"Amd64\CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf, Version = 6.3.9600.17415, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type = [l:24{12}]"driverUpdate", TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch

And now, I google more in hopes of understanding any of this. Computers are so fun and useful... Read more

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/70363-ntfs-ntfs-error-event-138-system-event-log.html
Relevancy 37.41%

hi,i wanted to know if hard reset and factory reset are the same things?my laptop won't turn on and i found out that i can hard reset that, but i do not want any of my data on hard disk to be erased. is it possible?(i've shut it down before so there is no data on RAM)thanks in advance.

Solved!
View Solution.

A:are hard reset and factory reset the same thing?

Hi, No, factory reset will bring your machine back to facory status (the time opening the box) byt hard reset won't. Regards.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/are-hard-reset-and-factory-reset-the-same-thing/td-p/5676772
Relevancy 37.41%

Hi,
I have a toshiba notebook satellite and I am trying to burn a DVD and/or CD to a external DVDRW drive.
Everytime I try I get the following alert:
Power on, reset or bus device reset occurred
I have an WIN XP SP2 Professional, and using Roxio and/or Nero for burning.

A:Power on, reset or bus device reset occurred

does it happen with both burning programs??

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/power-on-reset-or-bus-device-reset-occurred.455037/
Relevancy 37.41%

Hi,I cannot log in on the Windows screen. I have a password for Bios. I just need to be able to get into this computer, I bought almost 2 years ago on eBay and have not been able to use it! Please help! I just want to reset this so I can use it.Thank you, Jessica

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Factory-reset-from-Bios-Reset-without-being-able-to-login/td-p/5626785
Relevancy 37.41%

hi,
i had the system switch off. and unplugged. in the morning when i plug it back in, it comes up with an error in the bios, the date/time etc... is not set. i had to go in and set the time again, once it is set, it bootup fine, until it get's to the window's and it keep resetting itself.

anyone have any suggestion to why the bios got reset? the battery is dead?

right now i'm trying to get into safe mode to disable the "automatically restart" so i can see if the window reset is cause by the blue-screen-of-death.

A:bios setting got reset, winxp keep reset?help plz

I'm betting that you have a bad CMOS battery...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-setting-got-reset-winxp-keep-reset-help-plz.341489/
Relevancy 37.41%

After factory resetting my pc, it was installing windows and i accidentally turned it off. now everytime i turn it on it says i have to click ok to restart as it was turned off during windows installation  when i do it just repeats the same time no matter how many times i click ok and it restarts. please help as my computer is not booting up

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Had-to-factory-reset-my-computer-after-the-reset-i-was/td-p/5842411
Relevancy 37.41%

two of three of my profile passwords including the administrator profile were changed on my computer without a reset wizard disk. How can i gain access to these profiles to reset passwords? 

A:how do i reset profile passwords without reset disk?

Hello Ticy77, Please see this forum thread in regars to your options in recovering adminstrative passwords.Lost Administrative Password recovery options

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/how-do-i-reset-profile-passwords-without-reset-disk/td-p/1878015
Relevancy 37.41%

I was having issues with my hp laptop, so I tried a few solutions, none worked , so I had to factory reset my laptop with the help hp tools , whist doing this however I got the message, "windows could not complete the installation. To install windows on this computer, restart the installation. But every time I restart it, it shows up again

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Factory-reset-of-my-hp-stuck-in-a-reset-loop/td-p/5810661
Relevancy 37.41%

I can't remember the password to sign on to my new computer. How can I perform a hard reset since thw computer did not come with a recovery disc?

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/how-do-i-reset-profile-passwords-without-reset-disk/td-p/5675220
Relevancy 36.55%

Hi, I have a Dell Latitude D620 with a Dell Wireless WLAN. I connect to my wireless connection at home fine, but any time I take my computer to a wifi hotpsot, it cannot connect. I SEE that there is a network there, I click "connect" to that network, and my computer doesn't do anything. My Wireless is set to obtain IP addresses automatically, so that is not the problem. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I might try to fix this??

Thanks!

A:Solved: Dell Latitude D620 not connecting to wifi, but connecting at home

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-dell-latitude-d620-not-connecting-to-wifi-but-connecting-at-home.576664/
Relevancy 36.12%

gfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer while connecting to left glass magnifying slow IP has not web connecting v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files IP not connecting slow to web has magnifying glass left while connecting Real RealPlayer RealPlay exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared WkUFind exe C WINDOWS system ltmsg exe C Program Files BroadJump Client Foundation CFD exe C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Elements PhotoshopElementsFileAgent exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E S I M EXE C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccProxy exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files ewido anti-malware ewidoctrl exe C Program Files Norton Internet Security ISSVC exe C Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C WINDOWS System nvsvc exe C Program Files Adobe Photoshop Elements PhotoshopElementsDeviceConnect exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus SAVScan exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AdBlocking NSMdtr exe C Program Files Internet Explorer IEXPLORE EXE C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www wyff com index html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http media fastclick net w safepop cgi mid amp sid amp id amp len amp c amp nfcp amp fp O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO Norton Internet Security - ECB - F - bbc- D- DDF E - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AdBlocking NISShExt dll O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - BHO EpsonToolBandKicker Class - E FB- DD- F -B AC-B CAE F A - C Program Files EPSON EPSON Web-To-Page EPSON Web-To-Page dll O - BHO no name - FDD B - D - ffb- - B AD ACC - C Program Files Microsoft Money System mnyviewer dll O - Toolbar Norton Internet Security - B EAC - D - b e- B -A C A A - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared AdBlocking NISShExt dll O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton Internet Security Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar EPSON Web-To-Page - EE D F- B- - D-C B AAEBA D - C Program Files EPSON EPSON Web-To-Page EPSON Web-To-Page dll O - HKLM Run WorksFUD C Program Files Microsoft Works wkfud exe O - HKLM Run RealTray C Program Files Real RealPlayer RealPlay exe SYSTEMBOOTHIDEPLAYER O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE NvQTwk NvCplDaemon initialize O - HKLM Run MoneyStartUp quot C Program Files Microsoft Money System Activation exe quot O - HKLM Run Microsoft Works Update Detection C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared WkUFind exe O - HKLM Run Microsoft Works Portfolio C Program Files Microsoft Works WksSb exe AllUsers O - HKLM Run LTWinModem ltmsg exe O - HKLM Run EPSON Stylus Photo RX C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X E S I M EXE P quot EPSON Stylus Photo RX quot O quot USB quot M quot Stylus Photo RX quot O - HKLM Run BJCFD C Program Files BroadJump Client Foundation CFD exe O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common File... Read more

A:IP not connecting slow to web has magnifying glass left while connecting

Hi, Littlefield .

Welcome to TSG.

Please re-open HiJackThis and scan. Check the box next to the entry listed below.

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://media43.fastclick.net/w/safep...37&nfcp=1&fp=2

Now close all windows and browsers, other than HiJackThis, then click Fix Checked.

Close Hijackthis.

Restart the computer.

If you still unable to connect, bring the computer to a command prompt (Start->Run->type CMD and click Ok).

To flush the DNS cache manually using Ipconfig, at the command prompt, type the following and press Enter.

ipconfig /flushdns

To reset the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), type the following and press Enter:

netsh int ip reset C:\logfile.txt

To reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults:

netsh winsock reset catalog

To reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults.

netsh int ip reset reset.log

To return to Windows:

Exit

Post a fresh Hijackthis log.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ip-not-connecting-slow-to-web-has-magnifying-glass-left-while-connecting.469934/
Relevancy 36.12%

I cant access my router I need to change the passwords on it witch I redid with my internet provider company So no shared internet within the house The thing is no reset button on the router I was away days and later router - reset How the to reset button no today I found out that my brother had changed something with the router previously After that - no access to the router via usual way enter ip in inet client He did talked something that he only changed one thing Something from TCP IP option to Router option Dont know under what catacory or so I see options reset router somehow or contact it another way than regulary and duo to How to reset the router - no reset button the brother changes There is just one button on the router btw on off But that dosnt seem the completely reset it The router itself is a Chronos Broadband Router cant say anything more specific about it No mark or so Only - support NAT for IP sharing and -port Mbs Base-T Fast Ethernet Switch If that problem rings any bells to someone and knows how to reset it or access it please post Help much appreciated Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 36.12%

hello
i need an assistance about warm-reset, as well, cold-reset ...
hoping anyone can share their knowledge about it

cheers!

A:warm-reset / cold-reset

a warm reset is when you push the reset button, and the computer starts up again, without the power going off. A cold reset is where it shuts down and turns off, ie powered down. The difference is that memory etc may hold info in a warm, but probably not in a cold

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/warm-reset-cold-reset.757586/
Relevancy 35.26%

I'm trying to use a router to establish a wireless connection with a machine running XP Home Edition, Service Pack 2. I've connected successfully in the past with other machines (including now, as I write this), so it doesn't seem to be the router or the modem that's the problem. What's more, it's not XP, since there's another machine that can connect fine.

So, I'm stumped. I've contacted both my ISP and the manufacturer of the router, but not much help there.

Any thoughts? The machine sees the wireless connection fine, will attempt to connect and will actually say that it was successful in connection -- but there's no access to the internet and the status is actually limited or no connectivity.

A:Solved: wireless/router says it's connecting but not actually connecting

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-wireless-router-says-its-connecting-but-not-actually-connecting.729024/
Relevancy 35.26%

Hello Guys I am having trouble with my wireless connection It was working fine till a couple of days back and then started acting up Let me explain the problem in detail System connects to the router It shows full signal After - seconds the wireless gets disconnected After that the behaviour is quite varied Sometimes the router itself is not recongnized Sometimes the router is recognized but the system doesnt connect If I force it to then it again says cannot connect to a hidden network After a while maybe - mins later it recongnizes and tries connecting again sometimes it succeeds Wireless connecting Router keeps and disconnecting Connecting to sometimes it doesnt My System Specifications are given below Samsung Ultrabook Series S - Model NP U C-A UK Processsor - Intel COre - U CPU Ghz Windows Hope Premium - Bit OS Wireless Network Adaptor - Intel Centrino Advaced N- ROuter - Thomson GB RAM A Little bit about my Home network There are devices connected Connecting to Wireless Router keeps connecting and disconnecting usually My Connecting to Wireless Router keeps connecting and disconnecting Wife's PC which is a Dell Inspiron and runs on Windows Home premium My Ipad of our Smart Phones and My PC Every other device currently works fine except mine So looks like the problem is with my system rather than the router or network provider Remedies I have tried and failed Updated the Network Driver by downloading and installing it from Intel Website From the ROuter side manually changed the channel to see if that has an effect FLushed my DNS tried to release and renew IPs Changed the Encryption parameters Removed and added the network again DOwnloaded Xirrus Wifi Inspector Diabled the n from adapter and tried None of the above worked Now I have reached the end of my ability to find out what the issue is I am posting this but connecting to internet by my phoes USB tethering which in turn is connected to the same router I am having problems with Please help me Any nudge in the right direction is greaty appreciated If you need more info about my system please let me know With Regards Avisesh

A:Connecting to Wireless Router keeps connecting and disconnecting

I hate to say it, but since you have done everything I would have done, its possible the wireless adapter is broken/not functioning correctly. Is the product still under warranty? Especially since you stated that other devices connect just fine.
So its probably not the router.
The only other thing I can think of to try would be to buy another wireless router and test it with that.
If you have no problems, something is amiss.
You could also set your router back to factory defaults and try again.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/304887-connecting-wireless-router-keeps-connecting-disconnecting.html
Relevancy 34.83%

I have "Kingston" 4GB pen-drive its file system is "FAT32" i try to change its files system to "NTFS" using "formatting" process. When i try to format it in "NTFS" this error show.
"Windows was unable to complete the Format."

So how do i change its file system to "NTFS"?

A:How to change "FAT32" penDrive to "NTFS"? can't format it "NTFS"

On some flash drives used here I simply boot up from a live GParted cd while the drive is plugged in and go as far as repartitioning the drive totally while booted live. From there even with the drive's volume formatted to NTFS Windows may still want to have the format option used as well as the check now option to scan for errors.

You should be able to do that with Partition Wizard or any other live partitioning program without Windows involvement which will tell if the drive is in good working shape. Once the system is restarted following the removal of the factory partition and the new one on unplug the drive before Windows loads up and wait until the desktop is fully loaded to then replug the drive back in for the fresh detection.

If the autoplay option for all media devices is checked off a flashing icon may appear on the taskbar, your av program's prompt to run a scan on the drive should be seen. and the prompt to format it for use should be seen. The message will also insist on checkong for errors with the second option of automatically fixing any seen before the format can take place.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/114237-how-change-fat32-pendrive-ntfs-cant-format-ntfs.html
Relevancy 33.97%

I need to connect to a Windows 2003 server via my Windows 7 PC's Event Viewer. It is a non-domain server, so I need to provide different user credentials for the Windows 2003 server. The Windows 7 Event Viewer displays this error when I try to connect
to the Windows 2003 server: Connecting as another user is only supported when connecting to a computer running Windows Vista or later.

This is not acceptable. I need to be able to manage/view event logs on th Win 2003 machine from my Win 7 desktop.  This all worked fine using my Windows XP Event Viewer and now it is broken in Windows 7. How can I connect the Windows
7 Event Viewer to view logs on a Windows 2003 server with different user credentials?

Thanks,
J McNemarJ McNemar

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/64f2e2c0-cc5f-4749-9c7b-0bddc6b17882/windows-7-event-viewer-problem-connecting-as-another-user-is-only-supported-when-connecting-to-a?forum=w7itpronetworking
Relevancy 33.97%

i forgot bios password please help ACER Aspire ZC-606

A:reset BIOS ACER Aspire ZC-606hie how to reset BIOS...

You would need to send the system to a service center to have a forgotten BIOS password removed. We would suggest contacting technical support in your region for further assistance with this issue.
Acer Service and Support

Important Links: US Driver Downloads | Knowledge Base Articles | Service LocationsRemember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information.

http://community.acer.com/t5/All-In-One-PCs/reset-BIOS-ACER-Aspire-ZC-606hie-how-to-reset-BIOS-password-ACER/td-p/425741/jump-to/first-unread-message
Relevancy 33.97%

i forgot bios password please help ACER Aspire ZC-606

A:reset BIOS ACER Aspire ZC-606hie how to reset BIOS...

You would need to send the system to a service center to have a forgotten BIOS password removed. We would suggest contacting technical support in your region for further assistance with this issue.
Acer Service and Support

Important Links: US Driver Downloads | Knowledge Base Articles | Service LocationsRemember to mark posts that resolved your issue with Accept as Solution.You can even mark multiple posts in a single thread. This will make it easier for others to find the same information.

http://community.acer.com/t5/All-In-One-PCs/reset-BIOS-ACER-Aspire-ZC-606hie-how-to-reset-BIOS-password-ACER/td-p/425741
Relevancy 33.11%

I have tried setting this computer up reset reset IDE not LED by Activity multiple times Sooner or later the following happens I restart after installing a program everything seems fine It posts It starts to load windows then the progress bar freezes The IDE light stays on constant This seems to stay frozen IDE Activity LED not reset by reset like this indefinitely I think the longest i left it was min So then I reset it Then what happens is that the IDE activity light stays on during the whole reset process and then the drive doesn t detect during the post If I reset it again same I just turned it off for awhile min and it booted fine May be heat-related but what Case has decent airflow Fans Intake past hard drive Lian-Li PC- or PC- Antec NeoPower Gigabyte K NXP-SLI Athlon x MB Kingston or Corsair Value Can t remember which Maxtor Diamondmax SATA MB Cache Firmware BANC B BFG GeForce GT MB PCI-e x LG B X DL DVD -RW I have never seen this before It is a brand-new system This last time I thought that I had it figured out I had unhooked the card reader because I thought that it was causing the problem somehow Also I have set up other systems with same Motherboard CPU RAM Ammount I has of the same hard drive I ve run MemtestX I also replaced the Hard Drive after accidentally shorting it out while trying to flash the firmware DARN Floppy Power Connectors on another system Before that I had tested it with Maxtor Powermax Basic Advanced Surface Scan and Burn-in Any thoughts would be greatly appreciatted If there are no other ideas my next plan is to swap out the power supply for a Dual-Fan and then replace the motherboard nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ide-activity-led-not-reset-by-reset.357586/
Relevancy 32.25%
A:If you have two phones on the same account and do a factory reset will both phones get reset?

Originally Posted by Windows Central Question One is my old phone which is synced with my new one. Obviously not ;)

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/437967-if-you-have-two-phones-same-account-do-factory-reset-will-both-phones-get-reset.html
Relevancy 32.25%
A:If you have two phones on the same account and do a factory reset will both phones get reset?

One is my old phone which is synced with my new one.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/general-windows-phone-discussion-lounge/437965-if-you-have-two-phones-same-account-get-virus-do-both-phones-get-virus.html
Relevancy 32.25%

so i was playing around with the recording settings in fl studio and i seem to have completly messed up my computers sounds. everything is echoing, and i was wondering if theres a way to reset the settings in FL studio 9 or even reset the sound settings on my computer or something?? anyones help would be great

A:reset fl studio settings? or reset sound settings?

hi, i was just wondering if anyone knew where there was a good audio recording tutorial for fl studio 9, ive been trying to figure out how to co record voice along with the musical track without the effects ... effecting eachother

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/reset-fl-studio-settings-or-reset-sound-settings.977863/
Relevancy 32.25%

i had shortly made a disk clean up as my drive c was full...and then when i reebooted my computer afta da check it reported a problem like "load needed for DLLs kernel".......i am totally frustrated with this thing.....i would appreciate any help and by the way if there is a way in which i can solve dis without windows xp cd i would be very grateful.....otherwise tell me the way which i can solve this with the xp CD !!
Thank you...

A:help needed with load needed for DDLs kernel

Hi joeljacob,

Is this message being displayed when you try to boot your computer, or is it being displayed when you have got into Windows?

Do you have the Windows XP Disk with you?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/help-needed-with-load-needed-for-ddls-kernel-565576.html
Relevancy 32.25%

Hi there think this problem is getting rampant I got systems at home and both are facing this problem just Needed!!! Help administrator disabled by Alt+Ctrl+Needed over the weekend The task mgr is disabled alongside the normal shutdown function Now i can only shut down the machine by logging off first as a user then shut down from that screen The Run function is also disabled as well as well as Help Needed!!! Alt+Ctrl+Needed disabled by administrator the Resident Shield in my AVG Free Help Needed!!! Alt+Ctrl+Needed disabled by administrator program Below is the HJT log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM Help Needed!!! Alt+Ctrl+Needed disabled by administrator on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS system nvsvc exe C WINDOWS System snmp exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLLoginProxy exe C Program Files uTorrent utorrent exe C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe C Program Files SpywareGuard sgmain exe C Program Files SpywareGuard sgbhp exe C Program Files Grisoft AVG Free avgwb dat C Program Files Grisoft AVG Free avgcc exe C Program Files Hijackthis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http sg yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http g msn com SEENSG TBR FRWCompleteTBSiteFinalDEFAULT O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO SpywareGuard Download Protection - A E - F- - B - B DDD DB - C Program Files SpywareGuard dlprotect dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Windows Live Toolbar Helper - BDBD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar msntb dll O - Toolbar Windows Live Toolbar - BDAD DAD-C - A -ADC - B B FF D - C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar msntb dll O - Toolbar StylerToolBar - D F F - B- EA - FA -A D E F - C Program Files Styler TB StylerTB dll O - HKLM Run RTHDCPL -RTHDCPL EXE O - HKLM Run Alcmtr -ALCMTR EXE O - HKLM Run EasyTuneV -C Program Files Gigabyte ET GUI exe O - HKLM Run WinFoxV -C WINDOWS system WF K EXE O - HKLM Run WinFast KLoadDefault -rundll exe C WINDOWS system wf kcpl dll DllLoadDefaultSettings O - HKLM Run NvMediaCenter -RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvMcTray dll NvTaskbarInit O - HKLM Run AVG CC -C PROGRA Grisoft AVGFRE avgcc exe STARTUP O - HKLM Run lsass svchost exe O - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon -RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartup O - HKLM RunServices lsass svchost exe O - HKCU Run ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe O - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Policies System DisableRegedit O - Extra context menu item amp Windows Live Search - res C Program Files Windows Live Toolbar msntb dll search htm O - Extra context menu item Add to Windows amp Live Favorites - http favorites live com quickadd aspx O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROG... Read more

A:Help Needed!!! Alt+Ctrl+Needed disabled by administrator

Hi, sorry to bump this. Is there anyone who can help me with the problem? Many thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-needed-alt-ctrl-needed-disabled-by-administrator.624641/
Relevancy 31.39%

Hi i am wondering if anyone can help me I have computers running plz 4 ?? 1 connecting connecting 3 twice ?? ? to Help net out computers ie of which are on Lan mine being thje one that connects direct to the internet For some unknown reason one of the computers is connecting via lan at mbps then another set of tele screens comes up at the same time saying connected at mbps which 3 computers 1 connecting to net twice ?? ie 4 connecting out ?? Help ? plz looks like a direct connection to net using my connection for f s when runnigng our server for games on this comp it shows on the other comp thats its on twice but not on mine i have looked thru all the internet connection settings but cannot see where the fault might be Can anyone help in theory i am thinking this will cause lag on our line for game playing for others when they join as the server is in fact running out both lines at the same time from the same computer If anyone could help I will be most grateful Windows xp Professional Intel Celeron GHz mb Ram nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/3-computers-1-connecting-to-net-twice-ie-4-connecting-out-help-plz.536904/
Relevancy 30.96%

Hi There,I have a Sony DVD-RW and i was doing data back-up and decided to remove the current files from it and did a erase this CD-RW. Once done, tried to write files to it but was getting error. I decided to format the driver using the command prompt. However i got the following error "The type of file system is RAW. Please use the /FS switch to specify the file system you wish to use on this volume". Can someone please help me convert it to NTFS or something so that i can use it and add files to my DVD-RW.Amit

A:Raw To Ntfs

<<I decided to format the driver using the command prompt.>>

I've not heard of this procedure or seen any detail regarding such. Can you explain (in detail) just what you did...and what you were trying to do?

What program were you using for this backup?

What was the path for this "driver" which you were trying to format...and what command were using at the command prompt when the error message appeared?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/122800/raw-to-ntfs/
Relevancy 30.96%
Q: Ntfs

I have Windows XP and my hard disk is in NTFS. When I access with boot diskette in dos, it cannot enter my hard drive because it is in NTFS, can anyone tell me how do I make a boot disk for DOS to access hard drive in NTFS?

A:Ntfs

you can make boot disks with Nero Ultra 6 and select everything you need.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ntfs.197606/
Relevancy 30.96%

hello,
i am thinking about reformatting my computer and i dont know if i should use FAT 32 or NTFS (currently useing NTFS) . I mainly use my computer for playing games and surfing the internet and i also have a 120gig hard drive with win xp.
thanks
-chicken pie

Relevancy 30.96%

What differences are there between NTFS and FAT file systems?

A:NTFS vs. FAT

Advantages of the NTFS file system
Microsoft Windows NT Server, Windows NT Workstation, and all versions of Windows 2000 support the NTFS file system. Microsoft Windows 95 and Windows 98 support only the file allocation table (FAT) and the newer FAT32 file systems to format disks.

The NTFS file system offers several advantages over the FAT and FAT32 file systems, including:

Fault tolerance
Optimization of available disk space
Advanced security capabilities, including access control lists and auditing
Advanced security
The NTFS file system contains advanced security features that allow you to set permissions on a per-file and per-folder basis, which is particularly useful in a Web server environment. OSE uses the file and folder permissions feature to control administration, browsing, authoring, and collaboration on your Web site.

By using the Windows 95 and Windows 98 FAT and FAT32 file systems, you cannot set permissions on individual files or folders. Therefore, when you give a user access to a shared drive, that user can modify, rename, or delete any file or folder in the volume. As a deterrent to users who might modify a file, you can set the file to read-only, but any user can easily change that setting.

You can use OSE without the NTFS file system, but the advanced security features are not available to you until you format a disk with the NTFS file system.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ntfs-vs-fat.54011/
Relevancy 30.96%
Q: NTFS?

I have no idea what NTFS is but I hear you should convert your HD over to it. I know it has something to do with Secruity and only with Windows NT/2000
Thanks

A:NTFS?

http://www.windows-help.net/windows2000/ntfs.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/ntfs.43262/
Relevancy 30.96%

hi ive been trying the change of ntfs.sys in recovery console because it says its missing but everytime i get to the black screen where you choose which drive you want to fix i get the bsod and cant seem to get past that bit its giving me this error code ..

stop: 0x00000024 (0x001902fa, 0xf89b1268, 0xf89b0f68, 0xf814fd23)

ntfs.sys-address f814fd23 base at f814e000, date stamp 3d6de5c1.

hope you can help -- james

A:ntfs.sys

http://www.techsupportforum.com/f10/...24-179329.html

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/ntfs-sys-341570.html
Relevancy 30.96%

Can anyone give a run down of the difference in these 2 files and what am I likely to be using with a new windoes x/p sytem...

Also could I use both or am I using both at the minute I installed a new windows x/p and it gave me the choise of either fat or ntfs files to install on the system.....Dont really understand what the difference is and what difference it would make to my sytem having one or the other.

Relevancy 30.96%

I'm currently operating on 98SE and will be switching to xp.Since the current drive is formatted fat 32 and xp should be ntfs , what will need to be done to accomplish this change in partition .

Relevancy 30.96%

When installing my XP PRO I said yes to formatting the hard drive to NTFS, should I have left it as FAT or what ? Also when I start the computer it says invalid partition file run HDPREPEZ what does this mean

Relevancy 30.96%

What are the upgrades or changes made to this version for windows 7?

Relevancy 30.96%

I recently tried to install Vista on a Duel Boot system. After a day of fighting to get XP to work agian, thanks to Vista nearly killing it, I ran into this new problem.

When I got XP working agian, I looked at both my Hard Drives, both around 250GB. The one that Vista was installed on, was a NTFS, but now going back to XP, it is saying that same drive is a 10MB FAT. How am I going to recover my data? Is there anyway I can tell XP to please look at the sectors that are NTFS? I do not want to lose all my files I had on it.

Any advice without reformating?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-think-ntfs-is-fat.557896/
Relevancy 30.96%

can sum1 give me complete steps on how to change my harddrive from ntfs to fat32 and also steps to install windows me from windows xp
every tiny little step cuz i no not much about computers
and i have problems with xp so i change to ME then get upgrade cd to upgrade to XP

thanking you

A:from ntfs to fat 32

FDISK the partition and delete the non-DOS partition. Create a new partition and make it active, reboot, format the drive, reboot to the boot disk and run the WinME install from the CD. If your BIOS allows your CD-ROM as a boot device, set that to the first device and reboot, the installation shout start at the next reboot.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/from-ntfs-to-fat-32.83765/
Relevancy 30.96%

We are having problems installing WinXP Pro, so we wanted to format the partition in NTFS. Our partitioning program is asking us which NTFS we want to use.

Which one of the following is the best one to choose for Windows XP Pro?
NTFS, HPFS (7h)
NTFS Volume Set (87h)
Thanks

Relevancy 30.96%

hi is there any way i can convert my FAT (not FAT 32) memory pen to ntfs
thanks

A:FAT to NTFS

mowersman said:

hi is there any way i can convert my FAT (not FAT 32) memory pen to ntfs
thanksClick to expand...

As far as I am aware Fat & FAT32 are your only options

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fat-to-ntfs.674023/
Relevancy 30.96%

I am setting up a work station with Win 2000 Pro. During the setup it asks what file system I want to use. Which is better for a work station, fat or ntfs?
What is the difference? I know win 98 is fat, is one more stable than the other?
Thanks,
Ray

A:fat or ntfs

We've just been through all of this here, http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=84862&highlight=ntfs

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/fat-or-ntfs.85654/
Relevancy 30.96%

My friend s laptop recently won t boot and instead shows the BSOD with the following A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer If this is the first time you ve seen this stop error screen restart your computer If this screen appears again follow these steps Disable or uninstall any anti-virus disk defragmentation or backup utilities Check Ntfs.sys your hard drive configuration and Ntfs.sys check for any updated drivers Run CHKDSK F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer Technical information STOP x x FE xF A C xF A xF FD Ntfs sys - Address F FD base at F F DateStamp be I have tried booting different ways including from a recovery disk recovery console Windows PE Safe mode Last good config all gave me the BSOD again How can I uninstall any of those things if I Ntfs.sys can t even get it to boot into windows I downloaded and burned an iso of a swiss army Ntfs.sys type disk full of utilities HawkPE- - The PC Tech s Swiss Army Knife Live DVD and it has Linux Slax which did boot but I have no idea what I can do once in there to fix this error I also removed the RAM and reseated in several times Any guidance would be much appreciated I had posted this in the BSOD Help amp Support section but was advised to try this section as it seems that it may be a hard drive issue nbsp

A:Ntfs.sys

Which Win PE.

The UBCD4Win BartPE will allow you to Scan for Virus and Malware and allow you to use System Restore.

http://ubcd4win.com

Mike

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/ntfs-sys.123118/
Relevancy 30.96%

What is the benifits of a FAT or a NTFS for Win XP home edition... I'm going to reinstall and I'd like to know which would be better for me to use... thanks.

Relevancy 30.96%

I am installing win2k pro as the active partition on a 100 GB drive, and currently the active partition is Me. There are two partitions, 43.6 GB (Me) and 50.0 GB (unformatted). My eventual goal would to phase out Me and delete everything Me on that partition. I want to put 2k on the one partition, and over the next couple of months reinstall everything on the 2k partition and move all of my data, so I won't be permanently dual booting. My question is, what would be best to use with 2k in my situation? Would I have problems moving things between the FAT32 with Me to the NTFS with 2k? Does anybody prefer to use FAT32 with 2k? Which shoud I format the unformatted partition as? Thanks, Mike.

Relevancy 30.96%

Hi, I have a Sony Vaio desktop computer, somewhat older, purchased in 2001. 1.5ghz. 512 RAM. It has a FAT32 (C drive, 16G ) and a NTFS (D drive 40G. ) When given the option I install on the NTFS (D drive) as it has more memory. I once read that the NTFS was superior quality and reliabilty and that you should convert what was on the FAT32 over to the NTFS. Is this true? If so how do I go about doing it?

A:Using NTFS

Hi,
Go to help and support and type "convert" into the search area. before you make any changes, however...
1) defrag the drive in question
2) wait for more posts

If you do defrag and convert a drive, and your system reboots, leave it sit for a while, 5-10 mins or so before getting back to work.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-ntfs.707745/
Relevancy 30.96%

I am running xp pro and want to change it from NTFS TO FAT 32.

ANY IDEAS