Windows Support Forum

Setting up an offline wireless network

Q: Setting up an offline wireless network

I just moved to an area where high speed internet is unavailable I ve been using my phone and tethering the data for internet so far which was been working fine However I have been wanted to use my wireless printer without having to go to the room it is in and plugging into it directly I m pretty good with computers but networking somtimes gets me Setting network an up offline wireless pretty confused What I want to do is have a wireless network that I can use to connect to my printer which supports wifi printing but that network doesn t need to Setting up an offline wireless network be online since my only source of internet is my phone I thought I could just set up a network like normal but not supply it with internet but unfortunetly when I connect to this network even though I am still connected to my other quot network quot I can t use the internet Is there any way to solve this problem Hopefully I am Setting up an offline wireless network clear and someone will understand my problem Let me know if you have any other questions and I ll do my best to answer them Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Setting up an offline wireless network

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Setting up an offline wireless network

Before you leap into using your cell as an Internet connection,
make sure you understand the charges for DATA for your cell phone provider - -
it can be 100s of dollars per hour!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-an-offline-wireless-network.156447/
Relevancy 72.24%

i have about 10 windows 7 pc's on my network and we have network drives mapped to there pc's the mapped drives keep showing up with a red X and i have to remote to there pc and go thru the netowrk and get to the exact location and click on work online.. so for a fix what i have done is made so mapped network always available offline... any ideas???

A:windows 7 keeps setting network drives offline

Are any of the machines that are mapped, using hibernation or sleep?

If so, turn these functions off. Any shared machine can not go to sleep and still be accessible.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-7-keeps-setting-network-drives-offline.1024327/
Relevancy 64.5%

It s me again guys but since last time I have bought a new desktop and a tablet and I am now re-attempting to setup my a wireless network so that I can use the tablet As I played around with the tablet I pressed the wifi button and lo and behold it detected my router told me my IP address etc But it will not allow me to browse the internet because I am not connected and fixed wireless up problems network my Xplornet wireless setting Having my with when I run the setup disc on my pc step - checking settings in computer and router for the router it tells Having problems setting up my wireless network with my Xplornet fixed wireless me that setup Having problems setting up my wireless network with my Xplornet fixed wireless assistant is not able to connect to the router via any of the network adapters in this computer I know that I don t have it setup correctly but I don t know what else to do I have the ethernet same as a network cable right cable coming from outside That goes to the one and ONLY port in the back of my tower I m stuck Please help Having problems setting up my wireless network with my Xplornet fixed wireless Thanks again guys Jeff nbsp

A:Having problems setting up my wireless network with my Xplornet fixed wireless

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/having-problems-setting-up-my-wireless-network-with-my-xplornet-fixed-wireless.1030514/
Relevancy 62.78%

Hey everyone,

Does anyone happen to know how to successfully create a network in Windows XP Pro for a wireless laptop and for an Ethernet-hooked-up (non-wireless) computer. I'm trying to printer and file share the two together BUT I've exhausted myself in trying to make it happen. Has anyone successfully done this? Am I missing something? Perhaps hardware?

I would truly appreciate any help or advice.

Thanks all!

A:HELP on setting up an XP network for wireless and non-wireless computers together...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-on-setting-up-an-xp-network-for-wireless-and-non-wireless-computers-together.323389/
Relevancy 61.49%

I'm just curious if I can network 2 computers together wirelessly without a router? Basicly similar setup to 2 PCs each with a network card and crossover cable, but each PC using a wireless card only?
My laptop has a wireless card in it and I was just thinking if I could get away with only buying a USB wireless adaptor or is it best to go for a router?

Thanks
Grenge

A:Setting up Wireless network between 2 PCs

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/question353.htm

hope the info there helps

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-wireless-network-between-2-pcs.633780/
Relevancy 61.49%

I'm going to set up a wireless connection to my mothers computer to share cable access. she has a netgear wireless g router and I have purchased a netgear wireless g pci adapter. my question is in regards to encrytion.

I was told buy the guys at the store that I should setup an encryption of some kind to protect from people outside getting in on our network and also to prevent my mother from spying on me. they offered to install and setup the network, for a nominal fee of course, which I refused. I figured I could get the info on how to do it here and set it up myself. I would like to have the info before I start installing. can anyone help me out?

Relevancy 61.49%

hey
i have a desktop running windows XP Sp2 and an old laptop also running winXP(dunno about the service pack). neither of these have built in wireless network support.

i want to connect them wirelessly and share my internet connection(which is currently connected with a wired conn. to the pc) and files on the harddrive.

i think i can do this with a wireless router and wireless adapters to connect to both computers. is there anything else i might need? any problems i'm likely to face? and also, can i connect one computer with a wire(to the wireless router which is connected to the internet,meaning i have to buy just one adapter) and still share files etc?

A:help in setting up wireless network

You can connect any combination of wired and wireless machines and share files. Note that sharing files over a wireless link will be MUCH slower than wired sharing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-in-setting-up-wireless-network.791475/
Relevancy 61.49%

I m pretty new to the whole quot wireless quot ordeal but I m moving at the end of the month and wireless will be the way I ll need to go Right now I have my computer hooked up to a router which is also hooked to a swith in another room that has other just attached to it I m not so attatched to the router so if I need to replace it fine but I figured I d probably still network a wireless help setting up need need the switch just to make things easier What I want to know how to do is have something attatched to my computer a wireless router and then have something attached to the switch unless there is something that can take it s place and have the two need help setting up a wireless network communicate on the same network wirelessly I figured I m thinking wrong about getting two wireless routers to do the job but maybe I m not Any way I was looking at this piece of hardware http www newegg com Product Product asp Item N E Or maybe need help setting up a wireless network this one http www newegg com Product Product asp Item N E I dunno is there something that can be done in the settings so that one is just basically a wireless switch and the other works as a router If anyone can give me some help or point me in the right direction to look that d be really appreciated Thanks in advance nbsp

Relevancy 61.49%

hi guys how you all doing?

i was just wondering...if i have an adsl line coming in to a
wireless router.(the modem)

i know its easy to have the other pc's on the wireless router
access the internet.

but how do you actually network machines on a wireless network?
i am never able to ping another machine connected to my wireless router!
or open its name \\pc name at start

do you have to set up access lists on the router.
do both routers have to be configured?
and what about dhcp which one should issue dhcp addresses the modem?

the dsl router connects to the wireless router...do both have to be configured?

any info i will really appreciate.

A:setting up wireless network

If multiple computers are accessing the internet through the same router they are networked; if you can't ping in either direction it's because of a firewall blocking. Enabling file and printer sharing should allow them to share files and printers.

Computers connected to different routers will have considerable difficulty communicating.

Please describe your network connections including brand and model for all modems and routers.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-wireless-network.596944/
Relevancy 61.49%

I have a HP Pavilion (dv6127) notebook with Window Vista Premium. I also have Linksys (WRT54GS v. 7) router which is hardwired to an eMachine desktop with Window XP.

I have WaveCable DSL and both the HP notebook and eMachine desktop are getting internet through the Linksys router. What I can't figure out is how to network the two computers together.

Can anyone translate the basics into simple for me?

A:setting up a wireless network

You've already got them networked. Below is most of what you need to get them to share files and printers in a workgroup. All you have to do is translate the XP-speak to Vista-speak. If you do the translation successfully you can then add that to the below and help lots of other people.

The following will set up a Microsoft Workgroup for File and Printer Sharing assuming the PCs are already networked via router, ad-hoc wireless or Ethernet (directly or using switch or hub).

In Network and Dial-up Connections (Win 2k Pro) or Network Connections (XP) right click on your connection and select ‘Properties.’ If not already there, install or add a check mark for “Client for Microsoft Networks, “File and Printer sharing …” and “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).”

Right click on My Computer and on the Computer Name tab make sure you have a unique computer name and the workgroup name that you want to use for all computers. Change if necessary.

Restart the PC.

You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine.

If using the XP SP2 firewall: Control Panel – Windows Firewall – on the General tab it should be “On” and on the Exceptions tab “File and Printer Sharing” should be selected.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes or so) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-a-wireless-network.584959/
Relevancy 61.49%

I cannot find the cd for my router it is a linksys wtr54 v8 is there any other way to setup a network with windows vista or xp?

Relevancy 61.49%

Can anyone give me some advice, I want to set up a wireless network using six computers.
There will be no internet connection required, just a wireless network so the six computers can connect with each other wirelessly and share files etc.

If you can give me advice on good long range 802.11g routers etc, and what software/hardware I would need for this task it would be greatly appreciately.

Relevancy 61.49%

I didn't know where to post this, so I apologize in advance. I need some help though. I am moving up to a small po dunk town and the family I'm staying with knows NOTHING about the computer setup. But they do have cable or DSL (Can't get them to tell me which) and I have my box now and a good wireless router. I should have the cabling to do it all also. What I need is some basic step by step things to get this going. I have a wireless card in my box so this new computer will be the one having it hard wired to the router. Can anyone help me or link me to a "Wireless setup for dummies" type of deal? Any help here would be awesome....thanx you..

And if this needs to be moved, go for it, just lemme know where lol

A:Setting up wireless network

Hey, this link should help you.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/moredone/wirelesssetup.mspx

If you want to know more about wireless then can you try going to this link. There are more links on the bottom of that page which should also be helpfull.

http://www.wireless-networks-only.com/

I recommend going to the manufacturer's homepage and looking at the user guide for the wireless router that you have.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-wireless-network.64651/
Relevancy 61.49%

I have set up up network setting wireless the wireless adapter on my Dell Dimension XP computer w sp I had purchased a Tenda wireless router about months ago but I just took one look at the documentation and gave setting up wireless network up as it was overwhelming Their tech support is in China so that s a dead end for support The router was a mbps router that seems slow anyway in today s standards and looking at an old Belkin G router I noticed that I could follow the documentation as it was very clear so I plan to go out tomorrow and buy a decent Belkin router with at least mbps and a USB port so I can easily transfer my network settings Now all this is Greek to me and I m all set to screw it up I want to bring this XP computer setting up wireless network upstairs once the network is set up and leave the Dell XLS Vista machine which I plan to upgrade to Windows downstairs in this room connected to the cable modem I ll probably leave the xls machine wired I also have a HP All-in-One I would like to connect to the XLS computer So my questions are Do I have to set up the wireless router before I create a network on the XP computer or vice versa If I set up a wireless network for both computers will it work if I leave one wired Can I connect the All in One as wireless even if the XLS setting up wireless network computer is wired assuming I have previously added this computer to the wireless network I noticed another network on the wireless adapter probably a neighbor s If I change the channel on the wireless router do I have to do something about changing channels on the wireless adapter printer and computers in the network Thanks Mark nbsp

A:setting up wireless network

the 150 should be OK , as thats probably a lot faster than your ISP (internet service) so the only time you would see hte speed is internally copying files between PCs or if you have music or videos on another device and stream - but again you don't need anything like that speed to stream.

Also 300 speed routers do not always deliver that speed - it will depend on the environment , whats in the way and how far away you are

so to your questions

* Do I have to set up the wireless router before I create a network on the XP computer or vice versa?Click to expand...

it wont matter
does the XP pc have a wireless adapter - if so it should not need setting up - it will just receive ALL wireless signals and you connect to yours.
if you are adding a wireless adapter - then install that adapter and also the driver.
setup your router - in a lot of cases , you will not need to do anything , except connectup the cables and the on the XP connect to the wireless
the wireless name and the security password - is usually written on a label on the router itself

* If I set up a wireless network for both computers, will it work if I leave one wired?Click to expand...

you will need to connect the cable modem to the router
and then you connect the PC by cable to the router - the router will work both wireless and by cable
The only issue here will be if your cable modem is actually a modem router combination , as that will need a different setup to use the new router

* Can I connect the All in One as wireless even if the XLS computer is wired (assuming I have previously added this computer to the wireless network)?Click to expand...

yes, and it does not matter what order

*I noticed another network on the wireless adapter, probably a neighbor's. If I change the channel on the wireless router, do I have to do something about changing channels on the wireless adapter, printer and computers in the network? Click to expand...

You may need to change channels if your neighbour is on the same channel.
the adapters in the PCs Printer etc will see all the wireless channels. In the US thats channel 1 to 11 in Europe 1 to 13
Think of the adapters in the PCs / printers just like receivers and picking up every single signal thats in the area - then you choose which one to connect to

A few questions
1) whats the make and exact model of the cable modem
2) Whats the model of the trenda router
3) What download speed are you paying the cable service to receive ?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-wireless-network.1114814/
Relevancy 61.49%

Hi, I need help. I setup a wireless network in my company. The problem is that we have another building and they need to access our system via wireless. The current wireless connection that we use does not work properly for them, their connection keep droping and I assumed is because the distance between them and our system is far from the reach of the router Over 100ft I will say. However my question is, how can I setup a wireless connection from them to access our system with no problem? Please help me.
Thank you.

Jaime

Relevancy 61.49%

This is one area ive never gotten into so im VERY new to it always been into the hardware and software side of things but its time to setup a wireless network and I think I need a bit of help as i said i know barely a thing I know i need wireless network? a Setting up a wireless router for my adsl modem and wireless receivers firstly the network will Setting up a wireless network? not just need Setting up a wireless network? to be for inside the house the shed will also need to be connected there are no phone lines in there will a decent strength signal reach about to be safe m If not is there a way around it and about encryption and passwords how are they set and do certain routers have more protection than others a neighbour has an unprotected network that is constantly getting used this website http msy arpatubes net display php type category amp query has all the routers I will consider buying as that store has VERY good prices and a good guarantee Is there anything else i should consider nbsp

A:Setting up a wireless network?

WPA or WPA2 with a strong key will be all that you need, and any new router will almost surely offer both. I have a D-Link DIR-615, and it's been a very decent router for me.

If you run into range issues, you can replace the antennas on that D-Link router with some hi-gain antennas to reach the shed.
Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain™ WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit

For really long range outdoor applications, this 24dB parabolic WiFi Antenna may be a good choice.

This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-a-wireless-network.823093/
Relevancy 61.49%

I've been trying to setup a wireless network using Linksys' Models: WMP54GS & WRT54GS.

The problem is, I can get on the net by way of the Ethernet ports, but can get the Wireless pci card to do the same. Despite the fact that the wireless icons indicates: the following Status: Speed: 54.0 Mbps, Signal Strength: Excellent. Status: Not Associated* Then the IP address listed.

For some reason I think the problem lies with, (Status: Not Associated)

Tried linksys tech support but it wsa a joke.
All suggestions welcome.

A:[B]Need Help Setting up a WIRELESS Network Please[/B]

Hmmm... I have always had good results with linksys tech support for the most part.

How is your router configured? Is it using a 128bit wep key? Did you follow the instructions carefully - I think the lan monitor has to be installed first, without the card in the slot, then insert the card.

In the lan monitor program there is a place to set up the connection settings to the available networks. Somewhere in there you would be required to put in the wep key if your router is set up that way.

You have a pc that is connected to one of the 10/100 ports and you are trying to configure a wireless laptop or other computer to access wirelessly? Some laptops have a switch on the case to turn off wireless connectivity.

What operating systems are you using and what kind of internet service do you have? I wracked my brains trying to get a netgear to work, only to find out it did NOT configure with dialup - no matter what the tech guys said. Couldn't use it til I got dsl.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/b-need-help-setting-up-a-wireless-network-please-b.408679/
Relevancy 61.49%

hi right i want to create a network so my sisters laptop in her room can get the internet and access to the network how o i go about this i have:-

a linksys wirless router
and normal netowrk card in my comp
my broad band modem is set in my room for my comp
my sisters laptop has a wirelesss network card
how do i set it up becuase it the linksys book it doesn't tell you how

and do i set the router up as a gateway or a router?

i am really unsure about setting it up and dont really know wht i'm doin?

can someone help

and someone show me the set up i want ina picture

A:Help Setting up a wireless network?

It would be helpful if you specified make/model numbers for all the equipment, modem, router, wireless card. Also, the version and patch level of Windows would be very useful.

Since you are installing a bog-standard installation, I am confused as to the statement that the Linksys boot doesn't show you how, I suspect that you haven't looked at it closely enough.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-setting-up-a-wireless-network.397840/
Relevancy 61.49%

I received a Dell Inspiron last year and my network up wireless Setting it was given to me as a gift so everything was already set Setting up my wireless network up but there was recently a virus on it and nothing was working to get it out so I had to restore everything Now when I go onto my laptop the Setting up my wireless network internet is not there and I don t know how to set up my Setting up my wireless network wireless internet Everything like routers and everything is probably already set up since I just restored it a while ago and so the internet worked all that time before I am also using Linksys I went onto my laptop and there is no wireless connection thing in the desktop tray and when I go to start and quot Connect To quot there is nothing there I placed in my Linksys CD and I clicked install and that was it and I don t know where to go from there so if anyone is kind enough to help me figure this out it would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Setting up my wireless network

Looks like you need an *****s guide to getting going,

> Linksys Learning Center - http://tinyurl.com/8ka4w
> Wireless - Basic Configuration -
> http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Config.html
> Wireless - Basic Security - http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Security.html

Let us know how you go on

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-my-wireless-network.83165/
Relevancy 61.49%

This is what I have now, a Toshiba(SatelliteA85-s107) notebook with built in wireless, a desktop with no wireless card. We are networked now with a wired connection, dsl modem, a router and it works fine. I would like to get rid of the wires and go wireless, what do I need to do? I saw an add that said there is a usb wireless card. At present I can use the guy next door wireless modem for my notebook, as it is not keyed and runs at 56 mbps,versus 10 mbps on the wired network. This is why I would like to switch both to wireless. If someone can tell me what I need to buy and how to set it up it would be nice, I ask in the stores but only get fast talk and looks as if I am stupid. Please help me in laymans language. Thanks very much, Buck

A:setting up a wireless network, need help

I don't know why your wired network would be running at 10mbit, since 100mbit is pretty standard. You'll also find that 100mbit Ethernet is MUCH faster in the real world than 802.11g connections. The real world speed of 802.11g is more like the mid 20's, and it's also half-duplex. Finally, when you have multiple connections to a single router or access point, you're all in contention for that bandwidth, so your real throughput drops to less than half of the single connection throughput.

There are lots of reasons for going wireless, but performance is NOT one of them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-a-wireless-network-need-help.396562/
Relevancy 61.06%

I am trying to setup a wireless network using a Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router. However, I am unable to receive any signal from the router on either laptop (firmware up to date). I tried disabling every single security feature on the router (for testing), but I still do not receive any signal. I have also made sure the channels were all correct and that the SSID Broadcasting was enabled. Is there something that comes to mind to anyone?

A:Setting up a Wireless Network with a BEFW11S4

Did you enable the wireless functionality?

And you should turn off all security until it works.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-a-wireless-network-with-a-befw11s4.33128/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi I live in a house with people and we all share one Internet connection Most of the people would like to connect wirelessly in the Internet but the people close to the router would like a wired connection We bought a D-link router DIR- and 11 Setting a up wireless network people. for it worked fine for about a month Now it Setting up a wireless network for 11 people. doesn t allow users to access the Internet I have called D-link and they said this router was not designed for this many people and it is essentially quot fried quot Well we have a year extended warranty on it so we should be able to get another one From talking to various people I think we have two options buy a small business router or buy two routers and quot Daisy-chain quot them together Apperently the first option is very expensive so i guess I m wondering is the second option feasible Could someone explain how its done And if we did do that would it solve our problem of overloading one router Signal strength is not an issue anywhere in the house so we are not doing this to extend range Only to strengthen the network Any ideas Thanks for all your help -Andrew nbsp

Relevancy 61.06%

hello,

i have just bought a belkin usb wireless network adapter, but am having problems connecting to the internet.
I have installed all the required software, found my network no connect to which is the sky broadband one, entered the network key to connect. A box which says something like connecting to network comes up for about 1 minute and then the box dissapears, and in the tray icon the network connection icon has a red cross over it. It is not as if my pc is very far away from my router, only about 20m away!!!

unfortionately i know very little about networking as i only got the internet last year.

the problem is probably very obvios to somebody who knows much!

any helpful solutions will be greatly appriciated.

A:Help needed setting up wireless network!!!

20 Metres is a long way, unless you have the wireless aerial on a tall pole

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-needed-setting-up-wireless-network.97052/
Relevancy 61.06%

We have a working LAN set up in our business and just set up a wireless network in another office. (Same building, less than 200 foot away) Both networks are able to share the internet. The 5 PC's on our LAN work okay and can share files & printers. The 4 PC's on the wireless network also work fine.
Our DSL runs into a SMC Barricade Router that we have used for years on our LAN. We added a Belkin Wireless Access Point that we plugged into the router for the other office. Problem is that the PC's on the LAN won't see the PC's on the wireless, and vise versa, yet everyone has internet access. Hope all this makes sense.

Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Todd

A:Help setting up a wireless and wired network

"Don't see" means what? You cannot browse the network neigbourhood or you can't ping the other lot?

Are all the PCs on the same subnet? Windows network browsing does not work across subnets/routers unless you set up a WINS/DNS server.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-setting-up-a-wireless-and-wired-network.25040/
Relevancy 61.06%

I've set up my fair share of wireless networksin the past, and I'm so lost here it's not even funny. I'm trying to set up a wireless network on my parents brand new Dell Inspiron 531. This is my first experience with Vista so that's probally my problem. My wireless router (Linksys wrt54gs) installed fine on this computer. The wireless even worked on my personal computer for about 10 minutes. Soon afterwards it went down and now its just being wonky. The internet will only work if its hooked directly into the computer. If I put the output from the DSL modem into the Wireless router I get nothing. I hook my parents computer into the router and its local only. I've even switched around to a different set of cables with no luck. So I'm pretty much at an empasse and could use some help. Thanks!

Relevancy 61.06%

When setting up the wireless network in Windows 7 it requests you to put in an 8 digit PIN number that is supposed to be on the router. I have a Trendnet TEW-432BRP router and can't find the number to put into the input box on the windows 7 install.

Any ideas?

I can manually connect the router to the internet but I want it to automatically be set up so that it connects every time I boot Windows 7.

John

A:Setting Up Wireless Network on Windows 7

Quote: Originally Posted by john8710w

When setting up the wireless network in Windows 7 it requests you to put in an 8 digit PIN number that is supposed to be on the router. I have a Trendnet TEW-432BRP router and can't find the number to put into the input box on the windows 7 install.

Any ideas?

I can manually connect the router to the internet but I want it to automatically be set up so that it connects every time I boot Windows 7.

John

I dont have that router, but you may want to try their website, support for information.

ProbABLY the number is IN THE packing materieal, hopefully not thrown out yet.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/42856-setting-up-wireless-network-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Ok here is the problem. I have an xbox 360 that I am trying to connect to my pc. But windows media center is not finding the extender "The xbox". The setup I have is; cable modem, then an ethernet plug in to a belkin wireless router. I have the xbox plug in to the router using ethernet, and my computer is in the other room with a D-Link wireless pci card. They are all on my network I made. But when I View the Map of all the devices connected it shows:

MY PC = = = = = NETWORK ========== INTERNET
XBOX ======= SWITCH
There is also a line going up and down between NETWORK and SWITCH. Now I am guessing the pc and xbox are not on the same network. How do i get the xbox and the pc to connect. because I can not even transfer media between the two.

If someone could please help. Thank you

A:Setting up wireless network w/ router

What is the IP address of the computer and the XBOX?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-wireless-network-w-router.641197/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi, newbie here and desperately needing your help.

I got a free wireless access point (ASUS WL-330) when I bought my laptop.
It says that it's a 3-in-1 hardware: Ethernet, Wireless Access Point and Brisge. I really don't know much about networking computers but here's what I wanted to do:
Network my desktop and my laptop - use the wireless access point on the desktop and connect my laptop to the desktop through WiFi. I'm hopinh through this set up I can share my DSL connection on my desktop to my laptop.

Do I need to purchase another hardware (hub or router) to make this set up work? Or will the Wireless AP suffice? Also, how do I go about networking my Desktop and Laptop (wireless).

A:Setting up a wireless home network

No need to shout..

That 3-in-1 is just buzzwords. AT most you can say you have a 2-in-1 device that supports wifi and ethernet.

No, you don't need any extra hardware. Set up the AP as described in the manual. Once the wireless works you configure the network just like you would for a wired connection - there is no difference.

For intrenet you will have to use the Windows internet connection sharing. Or buy a wired broadband router (those are cheap now that the wireless is the all the rage) for a more robust solution.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-a-wireless-home-network.33286/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello all I am new to this forum. I would like to know if someone can give me
a detailed procedure and the hardware needed to setup a wireless network using starband.

I have XP home running on both my desktop and my laptop. My lap top has a 802.11b/g WLAN w/ 125HSM/SpeedBooster wireless card.
Thanks in advance,
Rick

Relevancy 61.06%

I want to set up a Hot spot for my iPad on my wired internet at work. I have followed all of the steps to set up my ad hoc network but when i hit "NEXT" to actually set up the network it simply says "WINDOWS CANNOT SET UP "network name" ....Am i missing something?

A:Troubles setting up wireless ad hoc network

Hi,

Depending on how the Network Administrator has setup connectivity in the office, you might be subject to group policy restrictions to access the internet/network.

You might have to send in a request to your IT department to either allow the MAC address of your device recognized on the router/server or to allow this device to be recognized via group policy.

I hope this helps!

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/242709-troubles-setting-up-wireless-ad-hoc-network.html
Relevancy 61.06%

Hey,
I am wondering exactly what steps to take to ensure that my wireless network is as secure as can be. I want to make sure that only my devices can log on and none other. What are some things I can do to secure my wireless network? I have heard of things like WEP and MAC address filtering, but I am sort of unsure how to do them and exactly what they do? Can anyone help with with securing or point me to a website that can? Thank you very much.

Relevancy 61.06%

Hi all,

I'm currently trying to set up a wireless network at home using my laptop for main use and my tower for storing files upstairs. I have configured my tower, but my laptop is saying I do not have network hardware.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me please?

Many thanks

Paul

Relevancy 61.06%

This is driving me nuts I would appreciate any help I recently bought a new PC all bells and whistles etc came with wireless etc and XP I wanted to link this up to my old pc running ME I installed a wireless card in up ME and setting XP between network wireless Probs the ME machine Ran through the network setup stuff eventually managed to get the to see each other great I set it up as an ad-hoc network I could share files by Probs setting up wireless network between XP and ME giving a read only or a full access password All was fine and dandy Then the first time I tried to go in using the full access password it said I had the password wrong To make sure I went to the other machine and re-specified the password Ever since then it has not worked The machines can see Probs setting up wireless network between XP and ME the network and they can both see their own shared files But they cannot see each other Although a few weeks ago it did burst into life for a couple of hours when I had a memory stick with the SMRTKEY folder on - red herring But since then nothing The machines are both desktops ME is upstairs XP downstairs ME upstairs always says signal is excellent XP downstairs always says signal low very low - maybe it is a reception problem I did bring the ME base unit downstairs to prove this but when I did this the XP machine could then not even see the network So the bottom line is at present they can both see the network and can both see their own files but not each others Does anyone have any clues ideas Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Probs setting up wireless network between XP and ME

Can you see the other machine name in Network Places? If not, you appear to have a firewall or browsing issue. Of course, you could have also had a failure of one of the wireless cards.

All machines are must be in the same subnet, i.e. 192.168.0.x where x is any number. The subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0 for most small networks.

Turn off any firewalls for debugging. If the firewall is the problem, you'll have to configure it to allow access to "trusted zone" addresses. Note that some firewalls must be completely uninstalled to stop them from affecting your networking.

PING each computer by IP address, and if successful, PING by name. You can obtain the IP address of a computer by opening a command prompt (DOS window) and typing IPCONFIG. This should work for any Windows version.

All computers should be in the same workgroup for computer browsing to function properly. File & Print Sharing has to be enabled on any computer you wish to share files or printers from. You also need to actually share the resource in question from My Computer, right click on the drive/printer/folder, and select sharing.

If you encounter difficulties accessing computers that are visible in Network Neighborhood, make sure the computer being accessed has an account with the same name/password as the system connecting to it uses to login.

While the default NetBIOS setting is correct for normal network configurations, it's possible for it to be altered, and it costs nothing to make sure it's correct. NETBIOS over TCP/IP must be enabled for normal network browsing.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/probs-setting-up-wireless-network-between-xp-and-me.384886/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi guys We currently have one computer a P w Megs Ram I just bought a new computer that i plan on using for gaming that is a Duo Core w G Ram I want to put the old computer in my wifes office and my computer im my office and have them both hooked up to the internet I have cable internet and it is in my office I bought a setting Questions network up wireless about wireless router with my new computer but im not sure what i need to do with my my wife s computer What do i Questions about setting up wireless network need to be able to get her online Does it have to be a PCI card or can i buy one the the USB Questions about setting up wireless network Plug in wireless adapter like this http www tigerdirect com applications SearchTools item-details asp EdpNo amp CatId Also this says it is USB the computer she will be using has USB since it is an old computer Will this still work And lastly is there a way she can still use the printer if it is hooked up to my computer in my office Thanks guys Dave nbsp

A:Questions about setting up wireless network

dlesko said:

Also, this says it is USB 2.0, the computer she will be using has USB 1.0 since it is an old computer. Will this still work?

And lastly, is there a way she can still use the printer if it is hooked up to my computer in my office?Click to expand...

You may want to go with a wireless card installed in her computer. A USB 2.0 adapter should work in a PC that has a USB 1.0 port. However it will run at the much slower USB 1.0 data rate, which is probably slower than many wireless data rates.

I will assume your new computer will have some version of Windows Vista. Yes, you can share the printer attached to your computer with other computers on your network:

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/e3faee7d-a7cd-40aa-b240-006dca11dc451033.mspx

Based on a very limited amount of personal experience, getting file and printer sharing to work between computers running Vista and XP is a royal pain.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/questions-about-setting-up-wireless-network.593643/
Relevancy 61.06%

im looking for a Wireless Broadband Router, i have found one but is this what i need - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/D-LINK-WIRELE...800438724QQcategoryZ44997QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

A:setting up wireless adsl network need help

If it is what they say it is, you should be able to use it for a wireless network.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-wireless-adsl-network-need-help.31717/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello What I am trying to do is set up wireless routers on the same network Here is a diagram of my shop that i am trying to do this in The first router is set up like this Modem Router port switch Router Now i have a router set up the orange square in the on up 2 same Setting network wireless routers office and it broadcast the wireless signal about as far as the orange circle i have it set up as with the dhcp turned on to Setting up 2 wireless routers on same network give out - The second router set up in shop is connected with a cable running from the switch to shop Its ip is and the dhcp is handing out - The cable running to the second router is plugged into LAN port not the WAN port The wireless on Router will not reach Router hinse why i Setting up 2 wireless routers on same network hard-wired it I have one computer plugged into LAN port of Router and i am having no problems with it My problems are with the laptops trying to run off the wireless They connect for a minute then disconnect They are not out of range because i have them sitting right next to Router I can set it up to were Router network is diffrent from Router and i can get on the internet Setting up 2 wireless routers on same network fine But the desktop wired to Router needs to be on the same network as everyone elses on Router because there are files on the server hooked to Router that we need access to If someone can give me a hint on what i am doing wrong for Router it would be appreciated nbsp

A:Setting up 2 wireless routers on same network

why not let the first router do all the DHCP ?

see here

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together
From a John Will Post

http://library.techguy.org/wiki/Connecting_two_SOHO_broadband_routers_together

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-2-wireless-routers-on-same-network.1040875/
Relevancy 61.06%

I m hoping someone out there will help me set up a home network with a real basics step-by-step response I moved into my girlfriend s place and she s got Verizon DSL using a Westell Modem to connect to the internet The & up network wired wireless setting help w/DSL Need router is a Linksys WRK G I had it at my old place with wireless Comcast What I need to do - Create an additional connection for wirless access on my laptop while leaving her desktop PC connected directly wired and without making any changes to her access Because she uses it for work it s VERY important that I not screw it up and make sure her computer has web access Need help setting up wired & wireless network w/DSL directly basically I need to make sure that when I m done she can sit down and get online without having any changes and without having to do anything differently then before I called Linksys and they Need help setting up wired & wireless network w/DSL said I need to know if it s PPPOE or not which I Need help setting up wired & wireless network w/DSL don t know and want to know how I can accomplish this and reconfig the router THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE nbsp

Relevancy 61.06%

I own a small Business and we are trying to set up a new wireless network. the building is 3 stories with many rooms and brick walls. My goal is to have wireless internet accessible in every room of the building and everyone who is connected to the network to have access to our main server with documents on it. What is the best way to go about this.

A:Setting up a wireless network/server

What is the best way to go about this.Click to expand...

Hire a networking consultant with experience in a difficult environment such as this.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-a-wireless-network-server.971653/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hi Hope you can help me out with this one I am trying to set up a wireless network connection between laptops Both connect wirelessly to different internet providers and are running Windows XP Now I am a novice to anything network wise so I have been using windows to guide me through unsuccessfully Let me give you a brief overview of what I ve done so far using the wizard I set up a workgroup where I can see my laptop as requested by wiz I saved netsetup exe to my fob and emailed this file to nd laptop as we are in different countries where this file was run So laptop now as a simalar workgroup with one user so how now do we connect the two so we can share files I had also tried setting up a VPN to link the two laptops but am unclear as to what ip address I should be entering router or computer I am basically very confused A little instruction or advice would be very much appreciated or if anyone can guide me towards info that can sort this prob Cheers nbsp

Relevancy 61.06%

Hiya A mate of mine has rung and Solved: Setting Network Wireless up he s setting up a wireless network but as I ve never done one yet I thought to ask here Its an INeXQ ISW T broadband router Looked on the website and its Solved: Setting up Wireless Network not listed so Solved: Setting up Wireless Network looks like Solved: Setting up Wireless Network it may be an upgraded model He conected it all up and looked at the little icon near the taskbar and it said it was sending recieving okay However he cannot access the internet Had a look at this http www inexq co uk web english service faq asp app id amp topic id amp service id And tried the last part about switching off and on in certain steps no joy Just looked in the Control Panel and he tried the Wireless Wizard that s shown There was a part where it said to add the name of the network and press Next He does but it said its using charecters that are not to be used I told him to just type the letter a and it still said it At the bottom there were two options Automatically Assign a WEP key Manualy assign a WEP key Any ideas what he s don t wrong Can t get round there myself have to do this all via the ol phone Many thanks eddie nbsp

A:Solved: Setting up Wireless Network

Well, you want to manually assign a WEP key, and you need to make it match the one in the router. I'd simply disable encryption until you get connected, then enable it and enter matching keys in the router and the client. Also, use the hex key option, don't use pass-phrases to generate the keys.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-setting-up-wireless-network.418139/
Relevancy 61.06%

I am using Spotify s free service --- Windows up network wireless an hoc 7 ad in Setting it s an amazing music site --- but can t sync my iPhone with my base desktop computer hence I can t listen to songs I ve downloaded from Spotify on my desktop The instructions say that both the computer as well as iPhone have to be on the same wireless network That s not possible in my home set up since the base desktop computer is directly connected to a Verizon FiOS service and I can t get the base desktop computer to be on my home s wireless network My desktop is a Dell Inspiron running Windows Home Premium SP It was suggested that I set up an ad hoc wireless network on my computer so that I could then sync my Spotify songs The instructions given to me see below didn t work since they don t apply to Windows which is what I have and I couldn t find a way to do it in Windows I would appreciate any ideas and help Instructions for creating an ad hoc wireless network The following instructions assume you have a laptop or PC with a wireless network card You do not need to have a wireless router network as we will be creating our own ad-hoc network to establish a link between the PC and iPhone Once the wireless connection is created we will then describe how Setting up an ad hoc wireless network in Windows 7 to route all Internet traffic through the wireless ad-hoc connection and relay it through the PC out to the Internet To set up the wireless ad-hoc connection Setting up an ad hoc wireless network in Windows 7 on the PC Open Wireless Network Connection Properties select the Wireless Networks tab and click the Add button Type iPhone in the Network Name SSID field Check the This Is a Computer-to-Computer Ad-Hoc Setting up an ad hoc wireless network in Windows 7 Network Wireless Access Points Are Not Used checkbox Click OK Click the Advanced button Select the Computer-to-Computer Ad Hoc Networks Only option Click Close and then click the General tab Next configure the TCP IP settings with static addresses In the Wireless Network Connection Properties window select Internet Protocol TCP IP from the Items list and click the Properties button Select Use the Following IP Address and enter in the IP Address field Enter in the Subnet Mask field Leave the remaining fields blank and click the OK button Now we have to configure the iPhone to connect to the wireless ad-hoc network To do this power up the iPhone and add the necessary settings Press the main Application button Select Settings then select Wi-Fi from the menu Select the Other option enter iPhone into the Name field and press the Join button Once the iPhone network shows up in the Wi-Fi Networks page press the blue arrow to enter the TCP IP settings Select the Static button and enter in the Address field Next enter in the Subnet Mask field Scroll down the settings page and select the Manual button Enter in the Server field and in the Port field Tap the Wi-Fi Networks button at the top and select the new iPhone connection to join It may tell you the connection is not available but this should start the association authentication process and result in a connection At this point the hardware for both the PC and iPhone are configured for the ad-hoc connection Once the settings are saved your PC and iPhone should establish a wireless connection automatically

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/415587/setting-up-an-ad-hoc-wireless-network-in-windows-7/
Relevancy 61.06%

Ok so i just bought setting on help wireless printer Need network up a samsung clx fw printer and i wanna add it to my network I have a router and a quot Main Computer quot and then i have laptops All computers have the printer drivers installed Currently i can wirelessly print everything from my laptops and the way my printer is setup currently is that it is connected to Need help setting up wireless printer on network the router via ethernet cable Therefore it is connected in infrastructure wireless mode if im not wrong The thing is that i wanna connect the printer to the router wirelessly because of the fact that ill move my printer to another room in the future To clarify laptops have windows and the other laptop and computer have xp Please don t ask tell me to set up using Ad Hoc because then i have to switch between networks just to print which seems stupid to me So far i have tried because its just so hard to get a printer connected wirelessly so please help accordingly thanks nbsp

A:Need help setting up wireless printer on network

ad-hoc is NOT the approach so you are find :wave:

WiFi printers can be difficult - - you need the manual to do the setup.

From one of your EXISTING WiFi connections, you can get the SSID, Channel, and passphrase.

Typically, I've seen this done entirely from the printer end and the controls it offers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-setting-up-wireless-printer-on-network.153351/
Relevancy 61.06%

Hello,

I tried to set up wireless router 3 times, each time used different routers, all failed, the internet connection from comcast to my desktop is fine, once i connected router, no connection detected.

I did notice once it show that DCHP is disconnected, even renew it would not make it work.

anyone knows what problem is and how to resolve the problem?

Thanks in advance,

TC

Relevancy 61.06%

HI,

My current setup has my desktop wired through a NIC to my Internet connection ....I have also set up a Compex WLU11 USB wireless card through which I share the Internet/files to my two laptops via an ad-hoc wireless network...
I recently installed Mandrake 9.2 (dual boot with XP ) on the desktop....
When I boot into Linux, my NIC gets recognized and I can easily use the net on the desktop...However, My USB Wireless card (WLU11) shows up as an unknown device....
I tried installing the Linux drivers from Coompex's site but no go....

My question is:
1- Can someone kindly guide me how to set up a new device on Linux
2- Is it possible to set uup a Wireless ad-hoc network with file/internet sharing between a Linux and XP machine...

Any help will be greatly appreciated...

A:Setting up n ad-hoc wireless network in Linux

1. What went wrong with the Coompex drivers and how do you know that?
2. Yes of course.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-n-ad-hoc-wireless-network-in-linux.28649/
Relevancy 60.2%

I am trying to set up a wireless network in my home;
I have internet connection thru a Motorola SBV5220 Cable Modem and I want to use my old 2Wire 1701HG Gateway that I bought from SBC as a wireless router. Does anybody know if I can do that? Thank you for your help.

A:Setting up a wireless network with a 2Wire 1701HG

Yes if the modem has an ethernet connection and if the 2Wire 1701HG Gateway is a wireless router (not a modem/router combo). I don't feel like looking it up but "2wire" and "gateway" sound like a DSL modem/router combo.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-a-wireless-network-with-a-2wire-1701hg.578707/
Relevancy 60.2%

I just purchased a new Dell computer with Vista and McAfee Security Center I am trying to get my home wireless network network Setting Vista having trouble - up wireless set up correctly but I am having difficuty My Dell Desktop is wired to a WGT V wireless router which is in turn wired to a motorola cable modem I have a laptop which I am trying to set up on a wireless network I can get Setting up Vista wireless network - having trouble everything hooked up ok and can get thru to the internet on my laptop From the desktop I can see the laptop and all the shared files and printers on the laptop From the laptop side I cannot see the shared files and printers on the desktop side unless I log in to the desktop I don t want this I turned off the password required button in the Network and Sharing Center of Vista on the desktop but it still doesn t work correctly There is something in either Vista or McAfee that is preventing this from working Any ideas nbsp

Relevancy 60.2%

hello there i am trying to setup my wireless network with a new linksys router,
the problem i am having is on one of the computers when i try to connect and enter the pass key its telling me i need a 40bit or 104bit key i dont know why its asking me this since the other computers connect with no problem any ideas?

A:Solved: Error when setting up wireless network

Are you sure you're connecting to the correct network? It's not uncommon for folks to accidentally connect to a different wireless network, thinking they're connecting to their own. You also will want to investigate encryption on your link to keep the freeloaders from connecting to your wireless network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-error-when-setting-up-wireless-network.576552/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi all,

I am new to this site its looks very good. Here is my situation I hope you can help. I have broadband at home and wanted to make it wireless.

I have bought a linksys WRT54G wireless router.

I have connected up my broadband router to the wireless router set the ip address of the broadband router to 192.168.1.2 and the wireless router to 192.168.1.1.

I have enabled DHCP on the wireless router and disabled it on the broadband router but there doesn't seem to be a signal transmitted from the wireless router as I am sitting beside it at the minute and I cannot see it when I search for wireless networks.

The signal is visible and everything seems to be set up ok. Is there anything I am missing as this is really bugging me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
AM

Relevancy 60.2%

Hello all I ve set a wireless network in my home using a Com router I m trying to change the a up a router Setting 3Com network using wireless network name SSID and to set a password using the broswer after i entered an IP address to access the router s Setting up a wireless network using a 3Com router setting page to make the network available only to me After creating the necessary settings i press the quot Save quot button and then quot Apply quot The router Setting up a wireless network using a 3Com router now starts a countdown of seconds until the setting become active though it s weird that i can still browse the web during this time Yet when i try to connect to the wireless network i see that the SSID hadn t change default Com and that there is no password Also i m not sure about the exact period of time but when accessing the router s setting page again i see that nothing had been saved What do i have to do to really save my setting and restrict the access to my wireless network Thanks a lot nbsp

A:Setting up a wireless network using a 3Com router

Sounds like a defective router. Make sure you have the latest firmware; then reset it to factory default settings. If it still does not work properly it is defective.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-a-wireless-network-using-a-3com-router.1017962/
Relevancy 60.2%

Hello there,
I know absolutely bugger all about computers. I recently bought a Dell Dimension 3000. For some unknown reason I was under the impression that it is automatically set up to receive a wireless signal. Is this likely? Whilst under this assumption I bought a D-Link DI-624 Air Plus Xtreme G 2.4GHz Wireless Router. I plugged this into the modem and not a great deal more happens. Am I needing something else to plug into the computer? Is this D-Link thing of any use whatsoever for my purposes? I really have tried reading the manual but it seems mostly written in gibberish. Please phrase any responses as you would to somebody with learning difficulties.

A:Fundamental help needed in setting up wireless network

If you really can't make anything of the "Quick Start" part of the manual then you should just ask someone with more experience to set up things for you.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/fundamental-help-needed-in-setting-up-wireless-network.33455/
Relevancy 60.2%

Okay,

I just recently bought Sprint Mobile Broadband Internet. I want to connect my modem to a network so I can use the Broadband with my Nintendo Wii, XBox and another Home PC. I have seen this setup before and it worked, so I know it is possible. I just need a step by step guide as to how I would go about setting this up.

My issue is when attempting to set up the router it begins searching for a internet, but since it is connected to the Pc and unable to hook it to the router, it won't read the mobile broadband, and it ends. My other home pc is reading the router but states that their is no connection available. So I don't know how to get the router to acknowledge the Sprint Mobile Broadband Internet connection. Any help would be appricated.

A:Help Setting Up a Wireless Broadband Connection to my Network

Trying to read between the lines it sounds like you want to enable ICS on the computer with the Sprint ISP and follow JohnWill's procedure (the ICS PC is the primary router). Do not use a cross-over cable for this application. The LAN address of the NIC connected to the secondary router will be set to 192.168.0.1 by the ICS enabling.

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/help-setting-up-a-wireless-broadband-connection-to-my-network.545173/
Relevancy 60.2%

Now I ve been on dial-up since I had my own home computer which would be about years now and finally I will be getting wireless and up speed high Setting network cable internet before the year is over I was just wondering what to expect how everything generally gets set up because I honestly can t say I know exactly what I ll be doing I know I ll have to hook the cable line into a modem but from there I m pretty much lost The cable line is about - feet away in the other room which makes me wonder if it d be necessary to get a wireless router and how would I go about setting Setting up high speed and wireless network THAT up Then how do I still get the cable hooked up to the television if it s connected to the modem If anyone would be so kind as to let me in on how this is all going to work that d be great I know computers fairly well so I ll understand explanations but since I ve only been exposed to dial-up personally I m clueless Thanks nbsp

A:Setting up high speed and wireless network

wow, still on dial up all this time?

Am not sure if true for all cable, but i can tell you from what i know a "splitter" is connected to the incoming cable to split the data from the TV stuff. so you have a single connector but will end up with two wires.

So you'd have
incoming cable <Splitter> Data only cable <Choices> Computer

where Choices could be

1) just a cable modem, or
2) cable modem to a router , or
3)Combination modem/router device

With just one computer you wouldn't need router for its connection sharing but don't know if needed for other reasons

Also, you should check and see what the cable company will charge you for cable modem monthly rental vs. what it costs to just buy your own of whatever (assuming you know what you need)

e.g. I think RCN was gonna charge $5/month when i first got my cable (their fee since dropped to $3/month). But i bought my own for about $60 or so... like 5 or more years ago.. so good to figure out what works for you

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-high-speed-and-wireless-network.112552/
Relevancy 60.2%

I have two computers wireless connected. What I now want to do it set up a password so hacking into the system by outsiders is as difficult as possible. I think we are talking "network key" or "Wired equivalency Privacy Key".
I know nothing about setting up a wireless connection so don't want to risk disturbing the existing set up which works fine; I just want to add password access.
One computer has Windows XP Home and the other Vista Home Premium.
Can anyone give me some not too technical advice that will help me do this please?

Relevancy 60.2%

Hi I set up an ad hoc wireless network between my pc and laptop a couple of days ago The network works fine and the shared files can be accessed but i can t get the internet sharing to work Both pc s are running on XP i did have internet sharing working fine until i changed my broadband router and although I ve set it up with the same settings as the old one when i click on internet explorer on Help wireless hoc up setting network ad internet sharing on my laptop it gives the usual page cannot be displayed error I ve read through lots of posts but still can t get it to work The ip address on the laptop is and the ip of the pc is I read that these should be the same but if i manually change the ip on my laptop to the network connection fails so i m not sure what else to do Both are set to obtain ip automatically the internet connection is Help setting up internet sharing on ad hoc wireless network set to be shared on the pc and firewalls Help setting up internet sharing on ad hoc wireless network are turned off Help would be greatly appreciated as my partner needs internet access to work on the laptop asap Thanks nbsp

A:Help setting up internet sharing on ad hoc wireless network

Can anyone help? This should be pretty easy for some of you but i don't have much experience so i really need some help. Its really urgent for me to get this done asap.

Thanks

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-setting-up-internet-sharing-on-ad-hoc-wireless-network.25363/
Relevancy 60.2%

I am trying to set up a home wireless network consisting of 3 home computers. This is the first time I am gonna do something like this, so what am asking is for advice on the devices I should get (which router, pci wireless card, ect). Can someone help me out please, am checking for quality and also good pricing. Thank you :approve:

A:I am setting up a wireless home network and need advice please.

Where abouts r u?
Australia? If so ... cworld.com.au (very good prices)

You really only need a router & some cabling, or for ur wireless u need cards for each (obviously!)

even on E-bay they have good rpices on routers ... but get a good 1!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-am-setting-up-a-wireless-home-network-and-need-advice-please.26914/
Relevancy 60.2%

I'm trying to set up a network using NetGear Router (Super G) & a compatible NetGear pc adapter. All the software installed fine but my antenna only picks up the signal coming from my neighbor's house. It doesn't recognize my router's signal at all. I have XP Home Edition. When I get this working, I intend to add a new laptop to the network. I am a real novice at this. Please help!

Relevancy 60.2%

Hey guys I've set up a connection with quot netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode allow ssid NAME key PASSWORD quot However when I turn it on with quot netsh wlan start hostednetwork quot it shows up on wifi scanning list and seems wireless correctly network setting not up connection to be fine on Network Connections but I can't connect with any device to this signal In order to get connected I have to head over to my computer's Lan Connection's Properties Sharing tab unmark both of the options apply the settings and revert this proces mark both in order to get it wireless network connection not setting up correctly working This has to happen every time I boot my computer Not to sound lazy but having to do this EVERY time when I want to connect to the internet with my phone while in my room is kinda annoying I might aswell get off my chair and run with my smartphone to the router's location on the other side of my house Any idea what might be causing this and if possible a solution Otherwise some cmd commands to disable enable the Sharing tab settings in order to get it working would be fine with me

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/401173-wireless-network-connection-not-setting-up-correctly.html
Relevancy 60.2%

Hi,

Here what I'm aiming for:

Two desktops(Win7) connected to swtich+connected to internet.
One laptop(Win7) connected to switch via lan cable.

Now, I want to share my internet connection+files over a wireless network to a second laptop(winXP) using the laptop(Win7) which is connected to the switch.

I'm able to setup the wireless so that it connects but thats where it stops, files don't wanna share neither the internet.

How do one do this the right way?

Hope you can help me.

Tnx

A:HELP NEEDED:Setting up wireless home network

type home group in the start menu search box and click on choose home group and sharing options

**If all computers on your home network are running Windows 7, create a homegroup
By far, the easiest way to set up file and printer sharing on a home network is to create a homegroup. A homegroup links computers on your network so that you can share pictures, music, videos, documents, and printers. You can help protect a homegroup with a password, and you'll always be able to choose what you share with the group. If all of the computers that you want to network are running Windows 7, creating a homegroup is the recommended method.
HomeGroup is available in all editions of Windows 7. In Windows 7 Starter and Windows 7 Home Basic, you can join a homegroup, but you can’t create one.
the guide while you set the home group up explains as you do it. if you use all windows 7 on the machines its easy

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...dows#section_1
**quote from microsoft

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/123168-help-needed-setting-up-wireless-home-network.html
Relevancy 60.2%

I just had my house wired for ethernet, and I am going to buy a linksys wireless router. This way I can use the already built in 4 port switch in the router to hook up my wired network, and also have a wireless at the same time. But anyways, my question is, is that I won't be using the wireless portion of the router for a couple of months, but I will be using the wired part right away. Is there anyway to keep the wireless part from broadcasting, so that no bandwith is lost or anyone can get in? I am wondering if you can get it to totally stop send a wireless signal, or at least could I make it so that no devices can connect? Thanks

Relevancy 59.77%

Hi sorry if it network could setting? pc an loses 1 Solved: xp connection, wireless on be s similar to any other threads I had a wee look but thought it was different enough for a new thread My parents have a wireless network set up it s a Belkin N speed router I don t have tech details just now but I can get them if I need It works fine with the five laptops that use it Solved: 1 pc on wireless network loses connection, could be an xp setting? with Vista and with XP The problem is my father s desktop Solved: 1 pc on wireless network loses connection, could be an xp setting? it s the only pc he uses as the laptops belong to the grandchildren anyway he can find the network and use it for hours at a time but it disappears for hours too There doesn t appear to be any reason for it I ve set a few wireless networks up for family and friends but not had anything like Solved: 1 pc on wireless network loses connection, could be an xp setting? this before The only thing I can think of is that there is about - other secure networks available to neighbours houses and shops etc Could it be something to do with the XP settings on the desktop As I say it can work fine for hours then just lose all connection for hours at the same time the other laptops on the connection work right next to the desktop so it is getting the signal in the room sorry for the ramble but has anyone had a similar problem or any ideas thanks in advance nbsp

A:Solved: 1 pc on wireless network loses connection, could be an xp setting?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-1-pc-on-wireless-network-loses-connection-could-be-an-xp-setting.806695/
Relevancy 59.77%

Hello guys-- Happy Holidays.

A few years ago my parents wired the house using ethernet ports dispersed around the house. Since now my sisters use laptops with built in WiFi, I recently bought and installed a Wireless Router/4 port switch to enable the laptops to connect without having to buy wifi cards for the pcs (they are using hard wires).

I want to set up a Home Network (file sharing/printing) between 2 PCs and 3 Wireless Laptops.

First--this is possible right? I don't think i need ALL wireless components or ALL wired components for a network to work.

Also I have been trying to use the XP (all computers have XP) network set up guide but my computers won't show the network nor be able to see other computers connected.
What should i do?
Thanks in advance for your help,

Relevancy 59.77%

Hi everyone,

I am trying to setup a wireless network using a Linksys wireless router and wireless desktop adapters. Three of the pcs have windows xp home (1 new, 2 upgraded from windows 2000) and the fourth has windows 2000. The network is setup as a Ad Hoc network for print and file sharing only no internet connection. Things were working fine until the 2 pcs were upgraded to win xp. Now none of the pcs can see each other and they cannot connect to the router. I have read that win xp and win 2000 will not work together on a Ad Hoc network and that it should be set up as a Infrastructure instead. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jim

Relevancy 59.77%

As the title states I am want to set up a single ADSL connection using router across apartments The apartments are floors and from the top they look like this The Router is on Apartment Between apartment and and and and is a normal number a network up a houses. single of Setting across Wireless cement wall Between and is Cement and stone so are the outside walls of each house I was thinking of doing it simple and using - range extenders such as the Linksys RE From what i searched on the internet and what the documentation states the signal will get bottle-necked for the last house due to the RE giving half of Setting up a single Wireless network across a number of houses. the bandwidth Quote from Linksys FAQ Can I add more than one RE to my existing wireless network Yes But since the RE only gets half of the wireless signal from your main router or access point adding multiple range extenders can provide you with even lower signal thus giving lesser bandwidth to your wireless computers or devices that you are going to connect to these additional extenders Click to expand So what would be an optimal solution to this Should I go ahead and install the RE s Is there something better that i can do nbsp

Relevancy 59.77%

OK so upgrading my parent s wireless They have cable wired computers one wireless laptop I put in an older Linksys flashed to Tomato but it is pretty slow compared to the newer wireless standards Going to get them a new wireless router like the one I have I have one wired one wireless same cable company for internet My laptop gets around down up my desktop around down up using SpeedOf Me to test At Computer Is Wired Setting And One Network, Slow Very Wireless Up the folks one wired computer gets very similar to mine the other wired one gets down up all Mbps The one in question has a latency of over while even my iPhone has latency So long story short Setting Up Wired And Wireless Network, One Computer Is Very Slow what usually causes such high latency Will replace the wireless router at their house Tuesday and of course test the cables but their laptop is way faster on the wireless router than the wired one is So I don t suspect an issue with the Cat Never seen upload higher than download Weird nbsp

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/setting-up-wired-and-wireless-network-one-computer-is-very-slow.308024/
Relevancy 59.77%

Greetings I just arrived at a location with wireless internet and I cannot find the switch to turn on my laptop. I just recently baught this Acer Aspire 5600 laptop. I believe I may of changed some of the settings to turn off the wireless device. I have attempted to undisable and update the drivers. It is no reading any networks in my area. I believe it is something to do with my settings. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas regarding this complication please respond ASAP!!!!

Relevancy 59.77%

I have an office with 4 computers and I would like to setup a WIRELESS network. Every single pc should be able and have access to the others and the other way around. Everyone should also be able to edit, delete, copy and so on, those files, what means having (read and write access). Does 1 computer has to act as a server or doesn't it matter?

Does anyone have a "really" step-by-step guide or URL how to do so? And what kind of hardware will I need?

PS: all 4 machines run on WinXP

Thanks in advance
wizzle2003

A:Solved: Setting up a small business wireless network

There is no step by step on developing your network besides doing prefferences. You are the only one who can decide if there will be a "server" or not.

The most obvious question is - are all 4 PC's going to be on at all times? If the answer is no then your going to want to make one the server and the others be clients connecting in. If you never think there will be a time a file is needed but a PC is turned off that may house the files then you can keep it all seperate.

The next question is data backup do you want to worry about having to backup data on all 4 Pc's or do you want ot backup all data in one location - Of course there are software solutions out there that will back up over the lan if the PC in question is turned off it won't be backed up.

As far as - And what kind of hardware will I need? you will need a wireless card in each PC and then one wireless access point or wireless router depending on the distance between all the PC's you may need some range extenders or some directional antennas but this sounds like its all fairly close to each other.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-setting-up-a-small-business-wireless-network.403201/
Relevancy 58.91%

Hi,
I'm trying so setup a wireless network via:

Start - All Programs - Accessories - Communications - Wireless Newtork Setup Wizard

and follow all the instructions. When it asks me to use the flashdrive and use it on any computer i want to add to the network and do so, the other computer (laptop) after agreeing to add the pc to the current network, I get the error message:
"The wizard cannot create a wireless network, either because a wireless network adapter is not installed or because software for the wireless adapter is not installed"

The laptop is not connected wireless but via ethernet. Could this cause the problem?

The Laptop runs XP Pro and the desktop Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2

Has anyone a step-by-step solution how to go from here and still get it going/working?

Thanks a lot
wizzle2003

Relevancy 58.91%

Hey there everyone Hoping you guys can give me a hand here and tell me what im missing or doing wrong Basically theres of us in a house and were hoping we can share files with each other Weve SKY broadband UK ISP and they give you a netgear wireless router as far as i know theres people on XP and on vista all connecting wirelessly to the sharing network up setting home on a wireless file/folder wireless router for internet access What I want to know is how to allow us all to share folders with each other we can do the sharing part so the files are visible on our own machines however we cannot see each others machines What else setting up file/folder sharing on a home wireless network on top of all joining the same workgroup do we need to do to be able to see each others shared setting up file/folder sharing on a home wireless network folders Ive tried using the wireless network for home or small office set up wizard in XP but get to the stage asking me to shove a flash drive in the back on my setting up file/folder sharing on a home wireless network router there are no usb ports on my router so I cannot do it this way Does this stop it being possible kinda outta ideas Any help is much appreciated cheers Alex nbsp

Relevancy 58.91%

Hi everyone I hope you can help me. I have a laptop and a PC at home and I would like to be able to share information between them across the wireless network. Also I am looking to run Input Director to share one mouse and keyboard between the PC & laptop, and a requirement of this is that the laptop and PC are visible on the network.

My problem is that I am clueless when it comes to networking. The configuration, as I understand it, is as follows:

Wireless router: 192.168.0.1 (Netgear router from Sky)
Laptop: 192.168.0.3 (running XP Home SP3)
PC: 192.168.0.2 (running XP Pro SP3)

The wireless network is fine, both machines can connect to the internet and can ping the router

However when I try to ping one machine from the other, the requests time out.

How do I make it so that each machine can see the other one on the network?

Thanks!

A:Problems setting up Input Director on a home wireless network

What is "Input Director"?

Failure to ping is almost always a firewall issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-setting-up-input-director-on-a-home-wireless-network.769187/
Relevancy 58.48%

Hi Let me begin by stating that I have only Setting on a Point printer) connect a (to an up Solved: Access to Wireless Network a basic understanding of Solved: Setting up an Access Point (to connect to a printer) on a Wireless Network how networks work I have setup small home office networks Solved: Setting up an Access Point (to connect to a printer) on a Wireless Network that used linksys routers and adapters that hooked up to DSL and also one that was strictly for Solved: Setting up an Access Point (to connect to a printer) on a Wireless Network file and printer sharing - but other than that I am a newb so please be extremely specific in your answers - I greatly appreciate your help and expertise The questions is What is the best way and HOW do I setup the following request Here is the situation I was asked by a coworker to setup a printer in his office that he could access with several laptops wirelessly The printer does not have built-in wifi but all of the laptops already have network adapter cards we bought a netgear WGR wireless router to use as an access point to accomplish this Our office internet is primarily wireless but there is one internet port in the wall in his office if needed I am wanting to hook the printer up to the existing wireless network so that he can be on the internet and print at the same time How can I accomplish this easily As for the existing network here is how it is setup - It appears as though it is Verizon DSL Connected to the wall is the modem which is a regular small looking plastic modem that I ve seen come with cheap residential plans Connected to that appears to be some type of relay or hub Then that is connected to what looked like a Linksys WRT G wireless router Will any of this work Without using the extra router we bought could I just use that one existing internet port in the office to plug directly into the printer Or Could I use that one port to plug directly into the extra router which then connects to the printer Somehow have that extra router connect wirelessly to the existing router and have the printer plug into that What is the easiest way and how specifically to do this Side Question and not as important right now Considering the network I described above internet to modem to hub to router in order to set that wireless network up securely I would only have to access the router and change the configuration right Or is it more complex Thanks again I really appreciate it nbsp

A:Solved: Setting up an Access Point (to connect to a printer) on a Wireless Network

If the printer is a network printer, and that wired connection in the office is connected to the same router as the wireless machines, you just need to plug it into that RJ45 jack and configure it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-setting-up-an-access-point-to-connect-to-a-printer-on-a-wireless-network.732391/
Relevancy 55.47%

OK at work we are setting each user s workstation to use offline files and synchronize at log off for user s My Documents I am wanting to make sure this is the correct way Files Setting Synchronization & Offline to set it up The following Setting Offline Files & Synchronization shows how the offline files are configured now On the user s workstation I go to My Computer Tools Folder Options and I enable Offline Files and set them to sync at log off Now we have each user s My Documents which is located on their desktop set to point to a back up server on the network- example backupserver users users name So actually their My Docs are on a shared network drive that we want to make available offline I right click on the user s My Documents which is on their desktop pointed to their Setting Offline Files & Synchronization folder on the back up server and select Make Available Offline After the synchronization is through then it shows blue sync arrows I make the users my docs folder available online i don t right click and make their folder available offline from the shared network I figure if their my docs on the desktop are pointing to that shared drive that by making their my docs folder available offline that is right It s kind of confusing though Does this make sense Or Setting Offline Files & Synchronization should I be doing this another way nbsp

A:Setting Offline Files & Synchronization

That's sounds correct. If you are on a domain you can configure a folder redirection/offline files GPO and push it out to everyone instead of configuring one at a time.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-offline-files-synchronization.1000906/
Relevancy 55.47%

I would like to setup offline files support within my network
for all laptop users within a certain container. I would need help
and advice from any body that has done this. Which is the best method to use and how long would synchronization take for a file about 1.4g. Network infrastructure is on a native windows 2000 AD environment

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-offline-file-synchronization.143620/
Relevancy 55.47%

OK at work we are setting each user s workstation to use offline files and synchronize at log off for user s My Documents I am wanting to make sure this Synchronization Setting Files Offline & is the correct way to set it up The following shows how the offline files Setting Offline Files & Synchronization are configured now On the user s workstation I go to My Computer Tools Folder Options and I enable Offline Files and set them to sync at log off Now we have each user s My Documents which is located on their desktop set to point to a back up server on the network- example backupserver users users name So actually their My Docs are on a shared network drive that we want to make available offline I right click on the user s My Documents which is on their desktop pointed to their folder on the back up server and select Make Available Offline After the synchronization is through then it shows blue sync arrows I make the users my docs folder available online i don t right click and make their folder available offline from the shared network I figure if their my docs on the desktop are pointing to that shared drive that by making their my docs folder available offline that is right It s kind of confusing though Does this make Setting Offline Files & Synchronization sense Or should I be doing this another way

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/402247/setting-offline-files-synchronization/
Relevancy 54.61%

Yesterday I decided to purchase an Office 365 subscription which of course includes 1TB of Onedrive. I'm planning to use this to have an online backup of my 750GB of pictures. The problem is that Onedrive doesn't seem to recognize the "Make all files online only" options in settings. I've done this setting in both the Modern App and in Explorer but it doesn't work.

The problem is that when I try to copy all my pictures to Onedrive (in Explorer) I get an error message stating that I don't have enough space. It appears that the copying attempts to create offline copies of all files in my Onedrive folder which is on a disk that only has 170GB space remaining. And I don't have a drive with 750GB available unfortunately... I could of course buy another disk, but this seems like a bug in Onedrive doesn't it?

I'm running Windows 8.1 Pro btw.

A:Onedrive offline files setting doesn't seem to work

Did you copy them in Windows Explorer? You should upload it in Internet Explorer. Or other browsers.

http://www.eightforums.com/software-apps/61995-onedrive-offline-files-setting-doesnt-seem-work.html
Relevancy 53.75%

I have an old Sony Vaio (VGN S4HP, to be precise), recently reinstalled XP and now I cannot get to connect to my wireless router network. Tried practically everything proposed on older threads but nothing worked. I may be wrong, but I believe the problem was present before the reinstall so the local techie had to set up a static IP to connect to the router. How do I go about doing this myself? I don't have my router's manual.

A:Wireless Stuck On "Acquiring network address", setting up static IP?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-stuck-on-acquiring-network-address-setting-up-static-ip.1097609/
Relevancy 52.89%

I am trying to add a refurbished HP system Windows System 7: change setting network Properties Can't > ID setting to my menagerie It had Windows Pro bit installed when I got it I went through the setup without any problems created a user account for myself Lewis set the system name Windows 7: Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting to TestPC and started installing and testing some software Simple internet access Windows 7: Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting web page browsing is working fine Today I connected and external disk drive from a Windows XP system and I was able to successfully read anything on it But when I attempted to delete a file I was told I needed permission even though I am the administrator I found some instructions at Microsoft for changing ownership of the files on the external drive so I did that It was then that I noticed the user name shown was Lewis TestPC Lewis and I was still not able to delete files on the external drive Being primarily a Unix person I have been fumbling around looking for something that would indicate why Windows felt the need to attach the system name to user names In Computer gt Properties gt Computer name domain and workgroup settings gt System Properties gt Computer Name gt Network ID I found a selection with the following description quot This computer is part of aa business network I use it to connect to other computers at work quot Since this is not true I selected the other option and worked my way back out to restart the computer After the restart that erroneous setting was still there I have tried several more times to change it but they have all failed Any suggestions would be appreciated Thanks Lewis

A:Windows 7: Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting

Hi Lewis, welcome to the Seven Forums.

The \\DOMAIN_OR_PC_NAME\USERNAME combination is not erroneous, it's how Windows keeps track of users in your network (even if said network only has one Windows PC).

For Windows, when a computer does not belong to a domain, the PC name is used instead of a domain name. I am currently typing this using a laptop with name AGM-W8LAP02 (my own naming policy, my home network is called AGM and this is Windows 8 Laptop number 02). My complete username for this user profile I am currently using on this computer is \\AGM-W8LAP02\Kari. This combination \\DOMAIN_OR_PC_NAME\USERNAME does separate my user profile Kari on this computer from user profile Kari on other computers. User \\AGM-W8LAP02\Kari is not the same user than \\AGM-W7DESK01\Kari.

For Windows it's easier and more logical to use this naming policy even if your PC would be the only one in network. If you now add computers to your network which also contain user profile Lewis, Windows does not have to change the system to be able to separate users not only from other users on the same computer but also from same users on other computers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/332361-windows-7-cant-change-setting-system-properties-network-id-setting.html
Relevancy 52.46%

I'm trying to set setting > change Can't network ID Properties setting System up a Synology Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting NAS for my home network however I can only access via the Synology utility and through a browser using the Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting internal IP address It does not otherwise appear on my network I can't ping it map drives to it by any method etc Googling suggests that this problem can be linked the setting in system gt computer name domain and workgroup settings gt change settings gt Network ID and ensuring it is set to 'This is a home network' However my computer is stuck on 'this computer is part of a business network' if I change the setting it asks for a restart and immediately reverts to 'business' Does anyone know what might be causing this Any way to force the setting My network itself is set to 'home' Other potential solutions to the NAS problem are also welcome as that's what the real issue is although I feel I've hunted most of the low hanging fruit already Thanks -Kyle

A:Can't change setting System Properties > network ID setting

If this machine ever belonged to a Domain then it would say that. The problem is that once you are part of a Domain you will be locked out of changing the location settings.

Domain Network: For domain networks in large corporate environments. This type of network is controlled by a network administrator and can?t be changed.

You may be able to change this by going to Winkey + R to open Run prompt and type gpedit.msc

Navigate to: Computer Configuration | Windows Settings | Security Setting | Network List Manager Policies > Network Location tab, you may be able to change the location here but it may still be locked down by the Domain group policy.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/286266-cant-change-setting-system-properties-network-id-setting.html
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi those problem were discussed here but separately and none of the solutions were not helpful I am posting this again since I think those two problems are connected So when I start computer I will call it comp my network drive is offline just as network printer Mapped network drive is actually my physical drive D and printer drive network and network offline mapped it is mapped as Z since I have three comps in my small office and it is used as storage for all comps When I open win explorer I get my mapped drive mapped network drive and network printer offline crossed with reds So I have to click on it to wake it up Second problem is with printer which is always offline and I have to turn off on his wifi to get it connected again to my comp Printer is HP officejet and is connected to the network router using WiFi Comp runs win pro with all the latest updates Second comp has the same OS while third one has win Both comps and has mapped the same drive as mine comp Interesting is that those two when turned on has printer and mapped drive online So problem is only with comp that actually has that drive physically in its own system

A:mapped network drive and network printer offline

Hi!
here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.com...&prof=required

I got this advice:

Here is the code:

ipconfig /flushdns (Clear the dns cache)
nbtstat -RR (release and refesh NetBIOS names)
netsh int ip reset (reset ip settings)
netsh winsock reset (Reset Winsock Catalog)
Reboot

That has solved my printer problem, but offline mapped drive remained as problem.
Today I tested one more thing.

I mapped drive on comp#2. So now on comp#1 there are mapped drives Y: and Z:. Z: is actually map D: on comp#1 and Y is drive on comp#1.

I restarted comp#1 and Y: was online while Z: was not.

Interesting that comp#1 connects to mapped drives from another computer, but not to it's own mapped drives.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/58478-mapped-network-drive-network-printer-offline.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I've got a Lenovo all-in-one 64 bit PC. When I click on Change PC Settings in the Settings charm the 'Wireless' option is missing. It appears exactly as expected on my laptop - also a 64bit windows 8 machine.

Anyone any idea what's going on?
(My bluetooth mouse and keyboard are working as is my wireless LAN connection, so it's clearly working but I can't change anything).

A:'Wireless' setting doesn't appear in the Change PC Setting

Originally Posted by JFirefighter

I've got a Lenovo all-in-one 64 bit PC. When I click on Change PC Settings in the Settings charm the 'Wireless' option is missing. It appears exactly as expected on my laptop - also a 64bit windows 8 machine.

Anyone any idea what's going on?
(My bluetooth mouse and keyboard are working as is my wireless LAN connection, so it's clearly working but I can't change anything).

Does this wireless NIC show up in Device Manager under Network Adaptors with the driver installed?

I'm not sure which model of Lenovo we are working with but have you tried Windows update Center of the Lenovo site for driver updates?

It should be showing up under Settings, then Network.

Introducing Windows 8: How to Connect to Wireless Networks | 7 Tutorials

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/21954-wireless-setting-doesnt-appear-change-pc-setting.html
Relevancy 52.03%

hey all

i want to create a wireless network on my laptop so i can connect my psp to it to use the internet

the reason why i want to do this is because i am staying in uni halls atm and currently using there internet connection

i kno how to connect a psp to a wireless network so i dont need instructions on how to do that but i want to know how to create a wireless network on the laptop and make it act like a wireless router

thanks

Aaron

A:Setting Wireless Computer To Computer Network

Well, the classic way would be to use ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) on the laptop.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-wireless-computer-to-computer-network.462608/
Relevancy 49.45%

I use music production software that has apps that can be used for controllers on idevices such iphone and ipad.

These apps dont need the internet to work they just need to be connected to same network as the system. My system connects to my router via Ethernet and the devices obviously over wifi.

Normally they would just work over the network my my local area connection is enabled.. But here is the fun part... I keep my machine offline (Disable local area connection) 95% only turning it on for updates and quick downloads.

I need to keep it this way. So is there a way to create a second network or some type of virtual network that doesn't connect internet but just to router so the devices can talk to each other? There is mention of ad hoc but i dont have a wireless card in this system and thats not an option.

Thank you

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/392105-how-set-up-virtual-network-offline-network.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Newbie. Wireless HP printer is off line. Tried network diagnosis, trouble shooting and various web sites to solve problem. I have an Asus UL50 A Series purchased in Jan. of 2010 as well as HP Officejet J4680 All-In-One. Need help putting printer back on line.

A:Wireless printer offline

Most have a button on the machine that will put it back on line!

If all else fails, just power down and then power it back up.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-printer-offline.952167/
Relevancy 49.02%

I have an Envy 100 410a printer and every time i want to print anything it seems to be offline and jobs get backed up. I am not good with computers. My laptop is plugged to wall, printer plugged to wall, wifi working ...??? Any ideas?

Relevancy 49.02%

Hi
I have two HP lap tops
I have one router which I can print to a wireless printer
Now for some reason the one computer always show that the printer is offline
If I reinstall the printer from add printer from printer and devices drop down I can print off two again
is there a way that I don't have to install printer and driver every so often.

Should I go to the HP web site and down load updates I don't receive any from HP
Thanks Rnoel

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-wireless-printer-offline.1106120/
Relevancy 49.02%

Can someone tell me why our wireless printer shows up as offline? We have two laptops that can connect wireless to the printer. I'm not sure if this is normal, but it seems that when we turn off the printer, obviously we lose the connection to the laptop and under the control panel, the default printer, HP officejet 6300, shows as offline and we can't get it back online without deleting the printer and adding it back on EACH TIME we want to print something. This is obviously a pain, so am I missing something, or what is the best way to be sure the printer stays online each time we want to use it?

A:wireless printer goes offline

How about starting with a description of your network. You make it sound like a simple ad-hoc wireless network with just the two PCs and a printer. But I'm wondering if you've left anything out (like a router or other wireless access point). Does the printer have a manually assigned static IP address or does it get it dynamically?

Are you saying that after the printer is returned to the network it does not automatically become 'online' on either laptop, and right clicking on the printer icon does not let you select 'use printer online'? Or do you select that and get an error message?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-printer-goes-offline.755443/
Relevancy 49.02%

I just bought a vista machine (home premium 54 bit). It connected to my router easily, and my wireless printer (hp 6980) just perfectly...for awhile. Then, out of the blue, it said it was "offline"...couldnt print again...couldnt get it "online." Could not even get it to work hooking the pc directly to the printer via usb cable, its like the machine just will not recognize the printer at all. This is very frustrating! It is my only printer and I sell on ebay for a living...I cannot print out shipping labels! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/202739-hp-wireless-6980-offline.html
Relevancy 49.02%

Tech Support printer offline Wireless Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Celeron R CPU E GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R G Express Chipset Wireless printer offline Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard FOXCONN A C Antivirus Norton Internet Security Updated and Enabled My HP Officejet wireless printer has gone offline and I see no place on either my computer or the printer where I can select quot Use online quot Using the printer s LED screen and keypad I ve reset the printer s wireless connection by keying in the LAN name and WEP code and get a msg on the printer s screen saying quot Success Connected to network Press OK quot Then I go back to quot Devices and Printers quot on my computer and find I m still offline and cannot print The problem arose shortly after installing a new router replacing an old one The new router was set up with a different network name than the old one and in the process I believe we deleted the old network to avoid conflict The printer worked fine using the new router and new network for about a day before inexplicably going offline How can I get it back online nbsp

A:Wireless printer offline

You can disable the "Work Offline" setting in "Devices & Printers" in the Control Panel, here's how: http://www.sysprobs.com/how-to-make-printer-online-in-windows-7-from-offline-printer

If that doesn't work then the easiest way might be to uninstall and reinstall the printer. If you changed the router you may have changed the IP address of the printer.

There may also be an option in the printer software on the computer to add a new device or wireless diagnostics, you could also try those to locate the printer and restore communication. It may create a duplicate printer entry and you may have to delete the original printer.

To clarify, offline means the computer cannot communicate with the printer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-printer-offline.1107287/
Relevancy 49.02%

Hello All

How do you shut off the software firewall and any thing else needed, to get a printers IP address?

I am working on getting my new HP lap top (with windows 8.1) to connect wireless to my HP 6988 printer that is 7 years old,

I followed the instructions that came with the printer to "configure the printer."

If the printer is plugged into the Xfinity router with an Ethernet cable the wireless laptop will start the printer.

When the Ethernet cable is removed the printer goes "offline" as seen in "view devices and printer" and will not print.

Reading the printer instructions a little further it reads "a software firewall can cause a lost connection." The instructions continue that the firewall should temporary be shut off before assigning the printer an IP address

Gordon33

A:wireless Printer offline?

How do you shut off the software firewall and any thing else needed, to get a printers IP address?

You don't! You should never - as in NEVER EVER need to turn off your firewall for anything. Period. Be suspicious of anything that suggests that - even HP. It is very rare a firewall, especially with such a modern OS as W8, needs to be disabled to set up network printing.

You can get the printer's IP address two ways. (1) Use the printer's own control panel menu system to print a "Network Configuration Page". It should be listed un General Information, URL for embedded web server. (2) Visit your router's admin menu via your browser and look at the list of "Connected Devices" and it should be listed there.

http://www.eightforums.com/drivers-hardware/59462-wireless-printer-offline.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have a wireless Canon MG3150 all in one printer that has always worked fine until I changed the pass-phrase for our WIFI connection. Now the printer always says it is offline. I looked through the settings and couldn't find anything for the wireless and so unistalled and reinstalled the printer completely. That worked fine and I was able to print but now that my laptop has been off, the printer is now showing as offline all the time again. I also cannot scan though the photocopy function is working and the printer shows up in Windows ok and working. I have Windows 7 Home Premium.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-printer-now-always-says-offline.1124370/
Relevancy 49.02%

My HP C6180 goes offline and I don't know how to make it go back online. I'm using Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/hp-wireless-printer-goes-offline-456237.html
Relevancy 49.02%

I have my home computer hooked up (wired) to my new router (D-Link DIR-655). For some reason the last 2 days it has been disconnecting numerous times. It reconnects a couple minutes later. My netbook will remain connected wirelessly during the time the desktop has been kicked off. This happens whether or not the netbook is connected. This happens whether or not I am playing an online game or just surfing the internet. I do have the latest firmware upgrade. Any ideas?