Windows Support Forum

Home Network Routing - Using a Switch for file transfers?

Q: Home Network Routing - Using a Switch for file transfers?

I recently started using a gigabit switch alongside my TP-Link router.

My room is setup like a LAN area, with a desk long enough for 4 pc's, so I have 4 cables running from the switch to the computers.

My router is providing DHCP and has a PS3 and VOIP phone plugged up to it.

Is there anything blaring that would cause the machines not to transfer files at gigabit speeds? Currently they transfer at 10-12mbps, which is normal for a 10/100 connection.

Anything I'm missing?

I can get into a lot of detail, but I need to know what needs to be told.

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Home Network Routing - Using a Switch for file transfers?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Home Network Routing - Using a Switch for file transfers?

Weakest link in the chain prevails.

Code:

ISP=Router--switch-- PC{1+}
|
+--- other device(s)

Consider just devices attached to the router, the slowest Nic {wired or wifi} will control the bandwidth to the device. A PC with a 10/100 adapter dominate data to/from it regardless of the GB Switch. If PC.a and PC.b (both with GB adapters and attached to the switch) copy 'twix each other, you may get much better performance.

Data to/from other devices (attached to the router) will be dominated by the Router LAN port speeds or the devices themselves.

99% of us get no benefit whatsoever from GB routers or Switches as all devices need GB ratings :sigh:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-routing-using-a-switch-for-file-transfers.192722/
Relevancy 73.53%

I did the upgrade on all my systems and now on my GIGaBIT Network I peak at 11,4 MB/s before win 10 I was getting 60 to 80 MB/s WTF is going on? turned off anti malware, Connections show 1gb . changed large offload to disable both ivp 4 and 6. set full duplex 1gb. I am begining to despise win 10 more and more..........

A:Why are my network file transfers only hitting 11.4 MB/s on Win 10?

What systems are you running? Like hardware wise? 60 to 80 even sounds low to me unless you are running some older 5400 RPM drives. Also, what type and size of files are you transferring? For example, when moving movie files around on my disks, the WD black will average 140 to 150 while writing to it, while the Seagate enterprise and WD reds settle down to around 100ish. The SSD transfers are quite a bit more than both of these spinning disks. I just replaced a 2TB WD red drive with a 5 TB WD black, and transferring all of the data from the red to the black 1.7TB averaged around 135ish...

https://hardforum.com/threads/why-are-my-network-file-transfers-only-hitting-11-4-mb-s-on-win-10.1907740/
Relevancy 71.81%

To be short and to the point, all of my local network access is snail slow. It takes me minutes to connect to my other PCs via Remote Desktop (takes seconds on my Vista install), and file transfers are incredibly slow: (As you can see, my entire network is Gigabit, and it displays this connection correctly) However, none of this affects my internet access, which is still just as fast as it was on all my other computers. This leads me to believe that it's a Windows 7 issue... Any help on speeding this up would be great!

A:Extremely slow file transfers and network access...

well maybe you have this answered by now im sure but one thing to keep in mind is that your seeds wil only be as fast as your drives write speed. I mean it will kick the packest faster but if your drive has a write speed of XMb/s then it really reflects this. Now on the other hand if you know your drives ar much faster than whats in your screen well thats something else already. Unfortunately I have a similar problem. I have raptors and yet my network yeilds alot less sometimes. Something is broken in thier networking in my opinion.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/2503-extremely-slow-file-transfers-network-access.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I just purchased a network transfers Low (wired) file utilization/slow Linksys E the other day I've been trying to stream recorded HD TV programs wtv files from my desktop PC to my PS via CAT cables and have been unsuccessful so far So i decided to try to troubleshoot the problem Here is a brief explanation of my network I have the above mentioned router with my PC Pentium Ghz with HT rpm hard drive GB ram windows pro my brother's PC Core Duo rpm hard drive GB ram windows pro and my PS connected to it The PS and my PC pentium are connected to the router via cat cables My brother's PC core duo is connected to the Low network utilization/slow file transfers (wired) router via a cat cable Both Ethernet cards have up to date drivers and I updated the firmware of the router The first thing I tried was to try to stream the wtv files from my brothers PC This worked flawlessly Next I ran Totusoft's LAN Speed test both PC's by selecting a shared folder on the opposite PC Here were the results Running on my PC selecting a shared folder on the my brother's PC Write Low network utilization/slow file transfers (wired) mbps Read mbps Running on my brother's PC selecting a shared folder on my PC Write mbps Read mbps This would seem to narrow my problem down to my PC After taking a closer look at my PC I noticed under the Networking tab of the task manager my network utilization never goes above What could be causing this All possibilities I found from a quick Google search all dead ended One weird thing I noticed is that in the resource meter under system tools on my PC the scale for the network graph only goes from to Kbps

A:Low network utilization/slow file transfers (wired)

Quote: Originally Posted by kwalls007

I just purchased a Linksys E2000 the other day. I've been trying to stream recorded HD TV programs (.wtv files) from my desktop PC to my PS3 (via CAT6 cables) and have been unsuccessful so far. So i decided to try to troubleshoot the problem.
Here is a brief explanation of my network. I have the above mentioned router with my PC (Pentium 4 3.2Ghz with HT, 7200 rpm hard drive, 2GB ram, windows 7 pro) , my brother's PC (Core2Duo, 7200 rpm hard drive, 4GB ram, windows 7 pro), and my PS3 connected to it. The PS3 and my PC (pentium 4) are connected to the router via cat6 cables. My brother's PC(core2duo) is connected to the router via a cat5 cable. Both Ethernet cards have up to date drivers, and I updated the firmware of the router.

The first thing I tried was to try to stream the .wtv files from my brothers PC. This worked flawlessly.
Next I ran Totusoft's LAN Speed test both PC's by selecting a shared folder on the opposite PC. Here were the results:
Running on my PC selecting a shared folder on the my brother's PC: Write 81mbps, Read 83mbps
Running on my brother's PC selecting a shared folder on my PC: Write 130mbps, Read 160mbps

This would seem to narrow my problem down to my PC
After taking a closer look at my PC, I noticed under the Networking tab of the task manager, my network utilization never goes above 11%.
What could be causing this? All possibilities I found from a quick Google search all dead ended. One weird thing I noticed is that in the resource meter under system tools (on my PC), the scale for the network graph only goes from 0 to 10Kbps.

OK what OS is each running?
Are you running homegroup for networking?
Can you go to start>search>cmd>ipconfig /all (upload a screenshot of the output)
Ken J

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/140196-low-network-utilization-slow-file-transfers-wired.html
Relevancy 70.52%

I am using the Windows Client VPN connection terminating to a Firewall.

The issue is that my home network is 192.168.1.x/24 and one of the servers I am trying to RDP into once connected to the Client VPN session is on 192.168.1.1. The VPN connection isnt overriding my home network routing in Windows so a ping, trace, and specifically RDP is trying to hit a home network device which is on 192.168.1.1 instead of the server across the established VPN.

In the VPN properties "Use default gateway on remote network" is checked in IPV4 Settings BTW.

I just need a full tunnel which overrides my local network

Thoughts?

A:Windows Client VPN connection isnt overriding my home network routing

change the IP range of your home network

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/365169-windows-client-vpn-connection-isnt-overriding-my-home-network-routing.html
Relevancy 65.36%

My understanding of how a switch functions is that it does NOT increase your internet connection speeds but DOES increase the speed of your network locally _ between PC's, BlueRay players, gaming consoles, etc. and the router/ modem.
Can anyone confirm this?

I am asking because I am going to take down my modem and router, re-wire everything, and start over. Some of the equipment is already LAN connected and I want to add some more - thus adding a switch. When I do this I want to change my wireless router to WAP only and no longer use the ports on it.

My goal is to increase the transfer speed within my network and lighten the load on my wireless router to increase speed there. I am not changing NIC cards or ISPs , just rearranging what I have to make it more efficient.

Any tips , pointers, links?

A:Home Network Switch

A switch Does Not really increase LAN speed. It just gives more ports for connecting devices by ethernet which is usually faster than wireless.

A 1000 MB (gig) switch will only work at 100 MB if the devices it is connected to have only 100 MB ports.

With a switch, all traffic will be going through the port on the madem/router which is probably a 100MB max

Changing a device from connecting using 802.11g wireless to ethernet will increase the transfer speed between that device and others that are connected by ethernet. 54 Mb max versus 100 MB max.

Using the router as a WAP ( bypassing the router/DHCP function) might show an increase in wireless efficiency, if the number of devices connecting with wireless are severely reduced.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-switch.1092612/
Relevancy 64.93%

hey i have a little problen here i need to switch from public network to home and i cant seen to be able to due need help please

A:switch from public network to home

Hello Nancy, and welcome to Seven Forums.

The tutorial below can help show you how to.

Network Location - Set as Home, Work, or Public Network

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/160703-switch-public-network-home.html
Relevancy 64.07%

Hello all basically i for home What CCNA Router/Switch and network have a simple question for u network gurus Currently am looking into buying a router not What Router/Switch for home network and CCNA wireless atleast not necessary if for the same price then why not for my home network since my old one died somehow probably cause of heavy traffic up down Now the problem is that i also plan to take the CCNA exam in the near future and hence i thought it would be better to get from now the equipment to start practicing oncetwice a week The only thing that dissapoints me on the whole process is that they can become quite expensive and i was not planning to give more than used on ebay The only requirements i have is that the router switch is operating to atleast Mbit prefferably Gbit but What Router/Switch for home network and CCNA i doubt i ll get this at the price am asking beying cisco aswell which can become very expensive If one can recommend either a a decent router on its own like netgear usrobotics cisco for my home network only so i can connect all of my systems b or a router and switch hub for use on the home network as the primary network components and for studying practicing towards CCNA basically all the router models and details get my head boggling and to identify a good model will take me sometime and i wanted to get this in the next hours for instance on a setup i am after i would wont both router and switch to be Mbit and not only the switch as i would want to keep the router for a number of years possibly yes i know am cheap thanks guys What Router/Switch for home network and CCNA hope for some positive response babaye ps using ntl cable at the moment so not necessary to be with adsl port like modem and stuff nbsp

A:What Router/Switch for home network and CCNA

First, the top-end stuff would really be neat, but features come at a price, so
most commercial routers are eliminated.

review this post for some ideas.

Personally, I've been using a Netgear 4-port for several years and it's been
a faithful servant

Don't get confused re router vs switch/hub. The router is at the top of the list.
A switch(preferred) or hub can then be attached to the router to make more
connections available.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/what-router-switch-for-home-network-and-ccna.67304/
Relevancy 63.21%

Hi I m hoping to extend my home network to include a few more devices and am looking for a little advice My current network comprises a Buffalo WBMR G UK router This is wired to a laptop a desktop and a music server Roku Soundbridge A nd Roku music server and my PS are connected wirelessly I plan to add a Linksys NSLU connected to a TB drive to serve my media and to wire the wireless components Ultimately I will have wired devices but only ethernet ports on my router I have a nd Buffalo WBMR G UK and also a spare old BT router lying around I had planned on converting one of these routers probably the Buffalo to work as a straight switch I then planned to connect the music servers and the NSLU to the quot switch quot and then connect the switch the pcs and the PS to the primary gateway router So my questions Can I use the nd router as a switch in this manner If so can you tell me what I need to do to it ie what settings to change in each router to make this happen Is it possible to stack the router and switch in this way and have all wired items accessing the network simultaneously or will I still be limited by the gateway router to just active ports with the devices on the switched port only being active one at a time If the answer to these questions are no then can you suggest another way to do this without spending too much time and money on this project Any advice on this is much as Buffalo a to switch network extend router home Using appreciated as I m essentially a network novice Thanks and Merry Christmas nbsp

Relevancy 63.21%

Hi All,

I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can solve this problem for me...

How is it possible to configure 2 VLANs to communicate with each other on the same switch? I have managed to create 2 VLANS and they both work (and can access the internet), but they can't communicate with each other.

VLAN1 has an IP range starting 10.4.160 and VLAN2 has an IP range starting 10.6.192.

Is it VLAN routing that I'm looking for? Are there any Netgear switch experts out there that can help me set this up? My switch is Netgear GSM7328FS.

Thanks in advance
Nick

A:VLAN Routing (Netgear Switch)

To allow routing between VLANs on the same switch, you need a layer 3 switch, which you have. I've never configured one of those. The only Netgear switches I've configured are the web managed ones which are layer 2 only but have configured other layer 3 switches. Basically, you need to create a VLAN interface and assign an IP address to it. By default when the switch has multiple VLAN interfaces with IP addresses, it will route between them without needing to have any static route entries or the use of routing protocols. It is known as locally connected. With the connected clients on both subnets, you would make the default gateway the IP address of the switch on that respective subnet/VLAN.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vlan-routing-netgear-switch.1074303/
Relevancy 61.92%

Basically what the title says Here is the layout Comcast modem - gt home router default gateway linksys e - - gt unmanaged netgear cisco Segregating server home from switch network web vmware using 2950 hub a from unmanaged hub everything has a x address with a subnet mask Segregating vmware web server from home network using cisco 2950 switch of PCs laptops wifi etc From unmanaged Segregating vmware web server from home network using cisco 2950 switch hub to the cisco switch a setup vlan to be a x network default gateway with a subnet mask of b Cisco switch has a Dell Poweredge II amp a Rackable systems JBOD system was going to set the IP of VMware ESXi as the web server as amp the JBOD as So far I have gotten to logging into the Cisco switch and setting the vlan as IP address subnet mask as shown above But when I set the static IP in the ESXi web server they are not getting connectivity This may have something to do with routing from the home router because when I try and do static routes it won t let me do it from a x network Not sure where to start starting from a novice to intermediate perspective but had some spare parts and wanted to start this project Any help would be appreciated Thanks in advance and let me know if you need more information Regards Rob nbsp

A:Segregating vmware web server from home network using cisco 2950 switch

dijitaljedi,
Welcome to TSG.
Your Default Gateway, 192.168.1.1 (linksys e2000) is not seen by your 192.168.0.1 network. As you stated you need a router to route between the networks.

The easy way is to stick with the 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 network, all of your 2950 switch ports are in VLAN 1 by default , so it should plug and play. The devices you want static can be set to the top of the current range 192.168.1.254, 192.168.1.253 and so forth, the DHCP on your router will issue 192.168.1.2, 192.168.1.3...

The hard way http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

This should be done carefully, as you can turn a perfectly good router into a paper weight.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/segregating-vmware-web-server-from-home-network-using-cisco-2950-switch.1049379/
Relevancy 61.92%

Can someone give me some advice on how to set up a basic network using two 2600 routers and a 2900 Cisco switch ? Not as far as commands but do I need to use NAT ? I have Comcast as my ISP. Please help me !

A:Setting up a basic home network with 2 Cisco 2600 Routers and switch

we always need nat.

Most of the time the connections look like
Code:

modem----router --- other devices and/or switchs --- still more devices
There are a FEW cases where the modem needs to be set to BRIDGE mode, but
don't go there unless it all fails.

Keep it simple to start with [ modem---router---one system]

see this for testing your ISP connection

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/setting-up-a-basic-home-network-with-2-cisco-2600-routers-and-switch.128589/
Relevancy 59.34%

Hi I am first time around here network using internet file Small server office and Switch seeking help We are in a small office and are currently using one Desktop computer as a File server by sharing a folder using the existing WiFi from Internet router This was done by connecting one LAN cable from the Router to the Desktop and the remaining computers connect to the router through WiFi This way each user could browse the internet while also having access to shared files from the central Desktop We are in the process of shifting to a new office where some users are seated far away also the maximum connections possible in the router through WiFi is So we have laid LAN cables and got Low cost network switches unmanaged TP Link D At the moment we Small office network file server and internet using Switch are not planning to purchase a Server but continue to Small office network file server and internet using Switch use the same desktop Instead of continuing to use WiFi it is planned to make use of the new LAN cables and Switches The problem is if I connect the File sharing Desktop on Port number in the Switch I will not be able to use internet in the computers connected through LAN cable and vice versa I need to use Internet as well as shared files from the Central Desktop Thanks in advance

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/382601-small-office-network-file-server-internet-using-switch.html
Relevancy 58.48%

Is there some way to tell W8.1 File Explorer to stop trying to refresh the folder information? I have a folder with hundreds of MP4 files stored on a WD MyBook 4TB. As I try to add more files to the MyBook it takes 4 times longer that is did at the start when there were only a few files in the folder. All I get is the green bar showing what the status of the refresh is and it never finishes while I'm adding more files to the folder. The file transfer rate went from 140 MB's to ~40 MB's. Am I missing something obvious again? Help appreciated.

A:File Explorer Keeps Refreshing and slows file transfers

Have you tried disabling thumbnail previews?

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/67387-file-explorer-keeps-refreshing-slows-file-transfers.html
Relevancy 57.62%

Hi,
I'm looking for a file manager that supports FTPES and SFTP transfers. 64 bit and freeware would be nice. Capivara would be fine, but lacks FTPES.

A:File manager for secure file transfers

Cerberus FTP Server 4.0.7.1

Cerberus FTP Server for Windows 7 - Secure, reliable, and easy to use SFTP server - Windows 7 Download

http://www.sevenforums.com/software/126336-file-manager-secure-file-transfers.html
Relevancy 57.62%

I'm trying to understand some basic concepts of networking I have following home LAN Is it right like above to have NIC's each one having different gateways on one station There PC have NICs - the first's one gateway is the second's Initially just after system startup the ip table is like that Code On-link On-link On-link and when i run netcat Code nc -zv -s to test if port is open it works - the port is indeed open But LAN in home Routing when i remove the route i got quot TIMEOUT quot on nc test Shouldn't it pick route and work Moreover when i add the route manually Code route add mask it still doesn't work I can't change the metric to desired value When i run for eg Code route change mask metric the result metric is't but no matter if auto-metric is enabled or not Is there any Routing in home LAN connection between -s flag local source address in netcat and routing table's Interface column

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/396566-routing-home-lan.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I've noticed that as of about 2 months ago, transferring files across any LAN to or from my computer is excruciatingly slow. Transferring files to or from my main computer to any other computer on my home gigabit LAN, I get transfer rates of around 2-3 Bytes/sec. So slow that it takes several minutes to transfer just a few kilobytes. I really cannot figure out what is causing this. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Also, this only happens when my main computer is involved in the transfer. Transfers across my LAN involving any other computers work normally, as do Internet transfers. And it happens everywhere. Even when my PC is hooked up to other LANs.

A:Very Slow Network Transfers

Well the first and only guess I have at this time would be to update the NIC drivers, have you done that?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/very-slow-network-transfers.119238/
Relevancy 57.19%

CPU: 2.6c
MOBO: ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
HDD1: MAXTOR 120GB w/8MB Cache @ 7200RPM
HDD2: MAXTOR 300GB w/16MB Cache @ 7200RPM

Question:

In my BIOS setup, when I choose any of the above Hard Drives... I get taken to another page full of options... all are selected as AUTO... except the last one "32-Bit File Transfers" is set to DISABLED... with the only other option being ENABLED...

What does this mean?
What would ENABLING it do in terms of performance?

A:32-Bit File Transfers??

The ATA interface transfers data 16 bits at a time (we had 16-bit PCs when the standard came out). Since modern PCs are 32-bit then it is more worthwhile to take two of those 16-bit chunks and transfer them to the CPU or memory together.

It will give you a small performance boost if you enable that option.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/32-bit-file-transfers.18321/
Relevancy 57.19%

Hi,

I just got a new laptop because my old PC crashed. I had someone come out and get my files off my old hard drive, he had to put them on my husbands MAC for storage. Now I want to put my those files on my new HP laptop. I have a HP personal media drive, but can't figure out how to transfer files from the MAC. Did I get the wrong devise for the job? If so what do I need?

thanks

A:File Transfers

If you have a network, make sure both computers are on it, share the Mac folder with your files on it, then at the PC copy the files from the Mac to your PC.

You should also be able to burn the files to a CD then use that to carry them to your computer.

I'm not familiar with Macs, but you might be able to use a USB drive to copy the files.

If none of these is an option, you can sign up for online file storage, upload the files from the Mac, then download them to your computer.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/file-transfers-376157.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I just "updated" to windows 7. I took the Hard Drives from the old PC and plugged them into my new build (along with my new 1TB HDD). How do I move my system settings (hopefully desktop, antivirus, and steam account) to my new PC?

A:File Transfers

Quote: Originally Posted by King J

I just "updated" to windows 7. I took the Hard Drives from the old PC and plugged them into my new build (along with my new 1TB HDD). How do I move my system settings (hopefully desktop, antivirus, and steam account) to my new PC?

If you updated there should be a windows.old folder, but did you format the new drive? if so that is called a clean install.

Now to import settings etc (which I dont recommend) run the easy transfer wizard. It will transfer most but not all. You will still have to re-install the apps, but the prefs may be saved.

We can be of more use if you tell us about your upgrade.
Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/86260-file-transfers.html
Relevancy 57.19%

I am running msn 6.1 and i have a problem with my file transfers.

When an attemp for a file transfer is made i get signed out of msn and my internet disconnects.....i have contacted msn about this and i have been instructed to open TCP ports 6891 - 6900 which i have done......

maybe i did not do this correctly ? but im sure i have... does anybody know what could be causing this problem ?

ps. i am using a D-Link DSL-504 router

thanks everyone

Peter

A:MSN File Transfers !

If you don't find an answer here call tech support at D-link

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/msn-file-transfers.209628/
Relevancy 57.19%

Need a step by step guide to transfer files from hard drive [m/s access exercises and homework] to flash drive. Know it must be easy - mind gone blank!! Thanx

A:file transfers

Maybe this could help:

http://www.usbflashdrive.org/usbfd_faq.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-transfers.469177/
Relevancy 57.19%

hi all, i'm in change of a small part of my school's website, and my schedule is so very busy, that i would really like to be able to make changes to the website from home. However, my school has closed all ports, and the server is not ftp. I was wondering if it was possible to write a batch file (or otherwise) that would run every so often on the server and pull files from another server (eg, my personal website, or some free hosting thing) onto the website drive? i would appreciate any ideas you people have about this. can it be done? and if so, how? thanks

Relevancy 57.19%

Was just given a new DELL desktop PC, but it has no ZIP or floppy drive, only a CD-R/W. I have 10 ZIP disks (100Mb each) of backed up files from my old PC (WINDOWS98). What's best way (cheapest & easiest) to get the ZIP files onto the new PC so I can convert them to CD? USB cables? Or, buy a portable ZIP drive? Or, other?

Relevancy 57.19%

Is it possible to transfer files from a desktop to a laptop via the NIC. The file transfer only lists a serial cable and I don't have one. The only thing I have to connect them with is an ethernet cable.

Relevancy 57.19%

Not sure where to ask this but hopefully this is a good place to start.

I have an old Windows 98 machine with serial ports for external communication. I have a new Windows XP machine also with a serial port. I would like to transfer files from the 98 to the XP via the ports. I could use ZIP Disk or Floppies but I'm not sure I would live long enough. Can someone tell me how to do this vis the serial ports and maybe what software might be useful ?

Richard

A:File Transfers - W98 to XP

The easiest way is to take the drive out of the wn98 box and temporarily attach to the new one.

it works best if you attach to the secondary channel, the one with the CD/DVD drives.

How to slave a hard drive: http://www.dtidata.com/resourcecente...ve-hard-drive/

You may have to take ownership of the files first: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/file-transfers-w98-to-xp-468738.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Cell Phone Internet Pricing------- gt Its Starts this October GB Limit per Home Its Just the Start and Comcast SUX Like watching Legal TV Cap GB=Whole to Family~ Data Transfers 250 Comcast Internet at OCTOBER- Service Home on the internet instead of Cable Have a big Family with Computers running its a Total Usage for ALL IF your a Parent of Three Kids Dont OCTOBER- Comcast Internet Service to Cap Data Transfers at Home 250 GB=Whole Family~ think You will be Cut OFF Think again OCTOBER- Comcast Internet Service to Cap Data Transfers at Home 250 GB=Whole Family~ Have a Sligbox Location free Player Dowload Legal Movies-Net Flix Blockbuster etc HD Movie is currently GB Each and Rising Like Legal Game Download Systems-Steam EA D D- I am Downloading gb of Games tommorrow Have a Wii PS PS connection for onlie gaming it adds up ETC- The internet just hit a Speed Bump- the Future Technology of the internet in the US is at Stake SOL- Comcast doesnt get Paid for it Is there a need for the extra - cable TV bill Right Now No ABC FOX Comedy Channel History Channel etc is all online The only reason right now to have Cable is for Sports Fanatics for live Sports- the Rest is on the Net v Drop the Monoploy Cable Internat Company now They dont want to upgrade their Crappy Limited Cable Line and They just want to take it out on my Big Family who Watches everything online and Plays games on the PC ----------------- Comcast has confirmed that all residential customers will be subject to a gigabyte per month data limit starting October PC MAG Article http www pcmag com article asp quot This is the same system we have in place today quot Comcast wrote in an amendment to its acceptable use policy quot The only difference is that we will now provide a limit by which a customer may be contacted quot The cable provider insisted that GB is quot an extremely large amount of data much more than a typical residential customer uses on a monthly basis quot To run afoul of these limits Comcast said customers would have to do one of the following send million e-mails download songs download standard-definition movies or upload high-resolution digital photos Comcast came under fire last year for cutting off service to customers who consumed a large amount of bandwidth but refusing to provide those customers with information on how much bandwidth they were able to use quot As part of our pre-existing policy we will continue to contact the top users of our high-speed Internet service and ask them to curb their usage quot Comcast said Thursday quot If a customer uses more than GB and is one of the top users of our service he or she may be contacted by Comcast to notify them of excessive use quot according to the AUP quot At that time we'll tell them exactly how much data per month they had used We know from experience the vast majority of customers we ask to curb usage do so voluntarily quot Late last year the Associated Press and the Electronic Frontier Foundation accused Comcast of blocking access to certain file-sharing Web sites a complaint that eventually led the Federal Communications Commission FCC to approve an enforcement action against Comcast that requires it to be more transparent about its network management policy by year's end Comcast admitted to delaying P P traffic during peak times but denied ever blocking access to any site Prior to the FCC enforcement action Comcast reached agreements with BitTorrent Pando Networks and Vonage under which the cable company would develop a protocol agnostic network management policy by year's end and come up with a P P bill of rights The company confirmed in May that it was considering a GB bandwidth cap and started testing that system in several markets Earlier this month a spokesman said that those tests suggested that bandwidth hogs might encounter delays of up to minutes during peak traffic times To publicize the change Comcast will run banner notices on its Comcast net home page and security channel Web sit... Read more

A:OCTOBER- Comcast Internet Service to Cap Data Transfers at Home 250 GB=Whole Family~

LOL... I feel you bro.... but there is only so much bandwidth and 250G is plenty...we'd all like to do what ever we want but we have to share the band width and the infrastructure.

It's call fair access...it's reasonable ... and your an exception with 5 gaming computers.....

too bad so sad

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/181550-october-comcast-internet-service-cap-data-transfers-home-250-gb-whole-family.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello all Thanks for taking a moment to read my post and I will attempt to be brief ie I won t post configs unless you LAN Home in Test Lab a Routing ask I am attempting to set up a test lab at home to practice routing without commercial grade equipment Here s the plan I have a Linksys wireless router connected to my Comcast modem and it feeds all the quot real quot devices on my network such as my PC iPhone XBox etc on my PC I am running Windows On the PC I have installed VMware Workstation and set VMNet to a Bridged connection and VMNet as a Host-Only connection In VMware I have set up a Debian server with NICs eth is Bridged and the other is Host-Only eth I have also set up some quot test clients quot in VMware namely DSLinux CentOS and Ubuntu and each is connected to VMNet Host-Only The plan is to route traffic from these quot test clients quot on to the Debian server eth have Debian forward this to eth on Routing in a Home Test Lab LAN and on to the wireless router I have been spending about all my free time for the last two weeks trying to set this up I have set up DNSMASQ on Debian to distribute IPs to the quot test clients quot and they are all receiving addresses These quot test clients quot can ping Debian s eth but not eth or the Linksys router The Linksys router can ping Debian s eth but not eth or the quot test clients quot behind it The Debian server can ping both the Linksys router eth and the quot test clients quot eth I will spare making this posting too long by adding all the config files for the Debian server but if you are interested in my test lab I will gladly post any and all configs you would care to see If you can help I will also gladly add a hero s mention when I write a how-to on how I set this up Thanks for your time to read this any help would be much appreciated even if it s just a point in the right direction Steve This is a BadIdea tm nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/routing-in-a-home-test-lab-lan.1078347/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hello everyone I have home networking questions that are related routing... and Home DNS networking and I pray that you will be able to help me My ISP is Time Warner and I Home networking and DNS routing... have been very satisfied with their broadband service in the or so years that I have been with them Lately however I decided to subscribe to their 'Turbo Plus' product which guarantees Mbps download and Mbps upload speeds or x I wanted this for a better gaming experience and the faster downloading of large files such as video files With installing the new x service Time Warner installed a new Motorola Surfboard SBG Wireless N Broadband Modem Router However since the new device was put in I have been getting 'DNS errors' on my PC and other devices such as quot Error - Server not found in DNS quot I never received these with the previous device or service so I believe that they are related to the new device's settings I was advised by a tech person that I know to subscribe to the OpenDNS service and then 'simply' change the DNS IP addresses in the router Unfortunately I cannot find a place to set these in the router There is however a place for Dynamic DNS which uses www dynDNS org I am able to change the DNS IP addresses in my Windows network and sharing center but this does not help my iPhone PSP or other devices on my network Also from the OpenDNS site I read that it is 'better' to make the change in the whole network router rather than on each individual device So the questions Is it better to have the proper DNS addresses in the hardware versus the software on each device Is there a way to change the DNS addresses in the Motorola SBG that maybe I am just overlooking Should I purchase new networking equipment and if so what brand do you recommend I have been somewhat satisfied with the Cisco Valet line but they seem to only want to help me with that line and not with helping me solve the overall new problem which I thought would be an opportunity for them to sell new equipment They told me that what I could get from them the WCG- was available from Time Warner and that I could then just 'cascade' my Cisco Valet wireless N router from that device If it gets me a better result in the end run then I am willing to purchase new equipment However I am also on a 'fixed' income so I can't afford to make purchases that are not necessary either Please advise me as to how I should proceed Your kind consideration of my issue is greatly appreciated Thanks

A:Home networking and DNS routing...

Click start:
type CMD and locate at the top, Right Click and Run a Admin...

In the Command box they "ipconfig /flushdns"

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/183436-home-networking-dns-routing.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi all,

I have a notebook Toshiba a200.
Since i installed win7 32 or 64 ( it doesn't matter currently 32 bit) i've been having problems with transfering files from my desktop pc ( win7 64) to my notebook. Speed is sooooo slow!! it doenst matter what is do. search google, performed actions mentioned there.

my transfer speeds are no more then 200Kb/s, before this i got speeds at 20mb/s

Anyone having suggestions? I'm pretty desperate now. A new install doesn't work either. Also tried update realtek drivers even tried drivers from realtek, still no result.

grtz Niels

A:network performance slow transfers

Quote: Originally Posted by Niels37

Hi all,

I have a notebook Toshiba a200.
Since i installed win7 32 or 64 ( it doesn't matter currently 32 bit) i've been having problems with transfering files from my desktop pc ( win7 64) to my notebook. Speed is sooooo slow!! it doenst matter what is do. search google, performed actions mentioned there.

my transfer speeds are no more then 200Kb/s, before this i got speeds at 20mb/s

Anyone having suggestions? I'm pretty desperate now. A new install doesn't work either. Also tried update realtek drivers even tried drivers from realtek, still no result.

grtz Niels

Are you running "homegroup"? Homegroup sometimes experiences slow transfers and drop outs. If you are you should change to workgroup model.

Let us know if you need help

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/71314-network-performance-slow-transfers.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi all,

I downloaded the latest .NET Framework update from Microsoft (.NET Framework 3.5 SP1). Now, I decided that rather than downloading the 231MB through the Update site three times, I'd download the full installer, and copy it to the other machines.

The download worked fine, but when I copy the file between my computers, across a wireless network, partway through it disconnects.

Any ideas what would cause this? Thank you in advanced.

Relevancy 56.76%

I have a pretty modern high-end PC running the x64 of win7 ultimate using pretty much default settings with little / none tweaks.
When I transfer large volumes of data (a few gigs and above) I really notice my pc starts getting slow, it's especially noticeably in the mouse cursor which becomes annoyingly sluggish and then normal and then sluggish again, erratic in consistent mouse speed...

my cpu gadget indicates pretty much normal CPU load so I don't get it... I'm on a gigabyte ga-x48-ds5 motherboard using the onboard lan / onboard usb contacts.

How do I rectify this annoyance?

A:Sluggish performance during USB / network transfers

open up task manager, click show processes from all users, then select the columns as shown below to see what else is being used when you transfer a file
Attachment 99447
or better yet, open up resource monitor from the performance tab of task manager
chances are it's caused by windows media player network sharing service in conjunction with multiply instances of servicehost (applications phoning home) that's causing the slowdown

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/112890-sluggish-performance-during-usb-network-transfers.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I just got a new NAS and am backing up my computer. I just wanted to know how long a 10Gb transfer should take over the network? I know there are many variables but am just curious as to how long you believe it should take. I have GB network but that I know has nothing to do with a NAS.
patriot pcnasvk35s2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822219003
It is connected directly to Ethernet 1GB switch. Nothing is wireless in the connection. It all goes through an AT&T router/modem from 2wire a 1702HG Gateway.

A:How long should file transfers take?

How long should file transfers take?Click to expand...

until they are done

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-long-should-file-transfers-take.143617/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi guys,
so i am using sygate as my personal firewall; and just now, my brother that's using his pc on the other room was transfering large files from my computer to his computer, 3 large files actually, and sygate took all my memory i mean really slow so i had to terminate or exit the program, and before i closed sygate the transfer speed was 3MBYTES/s and after i closed it it jumped up to the normal speed and the transfer quickly finished.
so the question is how can i make sygate let the information pass as quickly as it normally would without sygate on, and not to take all the memory on my computer

A:Sygate and file transfers pc to another pc

come on guys no one?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/sygate-and-file-transfers-pc-to-another-pc.250885/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi everybody

I have a simple question that will probably yield a simple answer, but it has had me scratching my head...

I have a desktop pc which I use as a server. I have two laptops that access the files on the server through mapped network drives, simple enough.

When I move files from one location to another on the server the file transfers are quick. When I use the mapped network drives on the laptop to move the same files they are much much slower.

I cant understand why this would be the case. Are the files stored in RAM on the laptop with the remote access or is there some other reason. How can I get around this issue?

Many thanks in advance.

Andi

A:File transfers slow

I assume your laptops access the server via 802.11g. The theoretical speed there is 54Mbps/sec - but in reality it is less because of the overhead. Compare that to the speed you can transfer files inside the server. That is limited by the speed of your HDDs and depends whether you go from one HDD to another or within the same HDD. But it will be a lot faster in any case. Figure that the disk transfer rate is 10 times faster than 802.11g - that is an approximate number and depends highly on the type of disk (e.g. Rpm) and where the from and to folders are located.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/131692-file-transfers-slow.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello is there anyway to limit file transfer speed on the local area network (not the wan port)? I have a tv tuner farm on my server wich I use to stream live tv to other computers on network. Problem is when I start a file transfer it maxs my connection leaving tv unwatchable. I am running windows 7 hp and have a wired gigabit network. Thenks in advance. cheers

A:File transfers hog all bandwidth

Does your router support QoS?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/143385-file-transfers-hog-all-bandwidth.html
Relevancy 56.33%

I'm having problem transferring large files from the inernal hard disk of my computer to an external hard disk. The transfer freezes when I am copying a large amount of data. Last week I emptied the recycle bin of the external hard drive, and not I cannot really understand what's happening.

A:File Transfers problem

You could try TeraCopy: http://codesector.com/teracopy

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/434435/file-transfers-problem/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hi,

I have just bought a new laptop and would like to transfer all my data and systems settings from my old laptop.

Specifically all the IE favourites and some random files.

I use Windows Xp, and i just want to know the easiest way to do this, ie not setting up a network if at all possible.

Thanks in advance.

A:File Settings Transfers

If your old laptop has usb then a pendrive would suffice for backing up and transfer of your old files/ favourites/ email contacts list etc.

If its just word files and favourites you should be able to do this via floppies, you can use a program such as diskspan to move files that are larger than 1.44mb.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-settings-transfers.200181/
Relevancy 56.33%

I find myself having to move many large data files (telemetry data) across our ethernet network with Windows systems. It takes forever to move 50GByte files from one PC to another using wintdows Network Neighborhood.

Is there such a utility that can move these large data files much faster than Windows drag n drop stuff? I read an article where one organization transferred an entire 4.2GB DVD movie over the internet in 10 minutes using standard ethernet protocols. Why can't we all move files like this?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

GoJoeGo

Relevancy 56.33%

I just got a new NAS and am backing up my computer. I just wanted to know how long a 10Gb transfer should take over the network? I know there are many variables but am just curious as to how long you believe it should take. I have GB network but that I know has nothing to do with a NAS.

Relevancy 56.33%

Hello I've searched the internet and I can't find a solution for this I have several USB external hard drives and they all seem to exhibit this transfers File disconnecting 3.0 through keep USB problem First I had a Western Digital MyPassport SE TB with USB Transfers of GB or less are usually fine but once it gets higher than that the drive disconnects It disconnects before the transfer is complete usually disconnecting about seconds after transfer begins I thought something was wrong with the hard drive so I had File transfers through USB 3.0 keep disconnecting it RMAd New drive came back and still didn't work This year's Black Friday gave me a Western Digital Elements TB also with USB capabilities Same as before files bigger than GB will not transfer And yesterday I was graced with a Western Digital MyPassport TB but unfortunately the same problem occurs For all of these drives I can transfer large files through USB connections no problem I would be happy with this but I was really looking forward to using my computer's USB connection for the faster speeds I've tried updating drivers for the port but I still have the problem Does anyone have any suggestions Here are links to the hard drives Western Digital MyPassport SE TB mine was new Newegg com - Refurbished Western Digital My Passport Essential SE TB USB amp USB Black Portable Hard Drive WDBACX BBK Western Digital MyPassport TB Newegg com - Western Digital My Passport TB USB amp USB Portable Hard Drive WDBY L BBK-NESN Western Digital Elements SE TB Newegg com - Western Digital Elements SE TB USB Portable Hard Drive WDBPCK BBK-NESN Here is the link to my laptop ASUS - Notebooks- ASUS U E I have the i CPU and Windows Home Premium

A:File transfers through USB 3.0 keep disconnecting

why not have a look at my paste "My Method to fix the windows 7 mouse randomly freezing issue "
I think you can not use usb3.0 now, I might be wrong.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/266728-file-transfers-through-usb-3-0-keep-disconnecting.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello & let me thank everyone now for their time.

This last week I was told that burning data files to DVD's should be done in the Vista master fmt not open / live. So I lost 30 hours on a Vebatim 4.7g DVD disc.

Since then I have meticolusly used the Vista mast fmt & burning icons etc, finished every write to the Magnavox 4.7g +R DVD & today, Viola! no can see the files with 3.44g free on 1 of 2 disc I'm burning to!?!?

"This is eating my lunch, give me Unix & a tape drive anytime!"

By the pattern I just quoted above I copied all the #2 disc files onto a new dir on the hard driive. I added what was missing then did a mass copy onto a new DVD+R. Worked, kind of until I tried to add some other files.

O well here's the solution, kinda.

Favorite Movie Quote "Information Please!"

A:Windows DVD file transfers.

I would recommend against using "sessions" on any disc media. It's just asking for problems. If you want to save data to CD or DVD try a few brands. See which work best in your burner. Then use:
dvdinfopro.com - Home Page

to see who made them. Once you know the discs will burn well, get spindles of 50 or 100 cheap at one of the reputable online stores. Also I recommend burning data discs using Imgburn

I used to fool around with "using CD as a floppy" type of stuff like InCD. You're lucky if you can read the stuff back on the same machine awhile later, never mind on a different machine. Even burn erasable discs as if they were CDR or DVDR. Your chances of being able to read the data back off are much higher.

With Imgburn you need to format the erasable disc as CDR or DVDR the first time you write to it. After that just do a "quick erase" before reusing.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/293168-windows-dvd-file-transfers.html
Relevancy 56.33%

Not sure if this is the right forum or not to post this, but I just purchased a new Dell computer and want to know what is the easiest, most efficient and most economic way to move all my files from my old Gateway to my new computer. I'm going from Win ME on the old computer to preloaded Win XP Home on the new one. I also have dual hard drives on my oldie and moving to a single HD on the new one.

Thanks...........

Relevancy 56.33%

Attached my home networks routing scheme.

recently i added a NAS(not NAT shown in the pic) to my network. so i set it up as shown in the scheme. However i have an access problem from PC1 to PC2 or NAS even after i set up the static routing on Router 1. same as pinging, i can't ping to PC2 or NAS from PC1. I have no problem accessing from PC2 to anywhere in the same LAN or higher level LAN

here is how what i set it on router 1:

Destination: 192.168.1.0
Mask: 255.255.255.0 ( i use mask 255.255.255.0 for all devices)
Gateway/Next Hop: 192.168.11.150

I didn't do any static routing on Router 2. do i need so? if yes, what should i put it? or if there is anything else? Can anyone help? Thank you very much.

Relevancy 55.9%

Yesterday I wanted to move some music from my desktop to my laptop and even though it was a total of 5.4 Gigs, then the transfer would practically have been easier if I had chosen to type in the binary code manually. I googled for some solutions but found none except for a blog that recommended that I should uninstall my antivirus which is something I was not going to see as a solution at any point.

Any links, suggestions or the like are more than welcome.

~Kaemic

A:Network Transfers Going Slow For Vista While Xp Races.

Could be firewall related, maybe your firewall is not configured to permit free exchange between your computers in your LAN. Or maybe your "hub" is old as mine and it's a 10 meg one.

I don't recomed to uninstall your AV. But if this software has a Firewall builtin this could be the cause of the problem.
Mav

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/108595/network-transfers-going-slow-for-vista-while-xp-races/
Relevancy 55.9%

Even if the work computer is connected to a network but I don't need it to transfer files between the computer and another device like flash drive or smartphone, can the company's IT department still detect it? Of course I know they can see websites I browsed.

I can't back up files directly from Galaxy S4 to S6 Edge+ since the latter doesn't have a microSD slot. So I thought a good time was to transfer from the S4 to my work computer and then to my S6. A few minutes after saving the files to the machine, the folders suddenly disappeared. Now I'm freaked out wondering if my company's IT may have seen it since some media files are porn, and I didn't even use Internet for file transfers. I asked an IT guy on my floor and he told me he's not sure.

A:File transfers between devices detectable by IT?

Yes, they can. At my workplace, where I am an admin, I have had several instances where people have been terminated for transferring non-work stuff to work machines, and work stuff to non-work machines.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-transfers-between-devices-detectable-by-it.1161965/
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi I've currently got a computer running Windows bit and a HTPC hard drive file Boot for transfers LAN disc backup These are connected to a linksys router via ehternet cable The HTPC normally runs OpenElec a Linux distro that is Boot disc for LAN file transfers stripped down to run xbmc only I am able to access this machine from Windows just by typing in the IP address of the HTPC in windows explorer Here I can copy files to and from the HTPC I think this uses Samba or SSH to do this This works well for copying a few files but not for copying lots of data gb as file transfer speed seems to get progressivly slower I've been told this is because the drives are formatted to NTFS and Linux kernel doesnt handle this very well I would rather keep NTFS and see if i can find a useful bootable utility to help me when I want to transfer lots of files over LAN Is there a usb bootable program that fully supports is optimised for NTFS drives so I can run it on the HTPC This is so that I can access HTPC hard drives from my Windows PC and transfer files faster over LAN Cheers

A:Boot disc for LAN file transfers

WinRe/WinPE is the way to go I think. Lots of infor available from Google:

boot winre from flash drive

Once you have that you have full NTFS support and I think networking.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/327013-boot-disc-lan-file-transfers.html
Relevancy 55.9%

when i copy a large group of files (say a couple of gigs or so) to a different folder it runs at a whopping 8-10 MB/s to copy them, i know vista had an issue with copying files but this was meant to be fixed, is this a known issue with win7? i notice it happens on both X86 and X64.... now i KNOW my hard drive is capable of doing 80MB/s (roughly) and does on Ubuntu, so i assume its an OS issue,

now maybe its just me, but surely an Operating system should be able to do something as simple as copy files at a decent rate?

A:ridiculously slow file transfers

It's not the OS.

There's something wrong with your setup. You can begin by installing the latest chipset/sata/motherboard drivers.

Also use HDTune to help you diagnose.

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/45350-ridiculously-slow-file-transfers.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Greetings all,

I've got several "user accounts" set up on my XP pro computer (some with administrator access, others with default user access). My question is: Is there an easy way to transfer the "My Documents" files from one account to the other, or, preferably get one account to have access to the files in another account? The file transfer wizard seems only to think I want to transfer between computers, but not between accounts on the same computer. I'd rather not recopy the files to the other accounts, anyway, as that seems to use up the hard drive quite a bit faster. So, in the end, I'd really just like one user account to have access to the documents of another user account.

Thanks for your help!

A:File transfers between user accounts

Hey Croaker,

Just share the files you want to share. Add the user accounts you want to see the files and share it. Right click the file and go to the properties option. Then go to the sharing tab. Click share this folder. Go to the permissions option and choose the users you want. You could give the users limited use of the file (like read only).

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/file-transfers-between-user-accounts-3018.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi everyone I have an WD External Hard Drive that is giving me problems Copying File transfers Drive WD Hard from any of my other drives to my WD Drive works fine but when i try to copy from my WD to another drive Any of my drives It stalls crashes windows explorer becomes unresponsive this happens with everything from drag and File transfers WD Hard Drive drop to cut copy and paste It starts the transfer fine and about to percent through it just stops and no message displays When I hit cancel It just stays there I have to restart the machine or wait a while for windows explore to crash and restart I recently converted the drive from fat to NTFS via cmd so I would not loose any of my files but that didnt fix the problem I ran a disk check no fix either defragment didnt help I have looked all over the web for a solution and nothing has worked I dont know what else to do I started experiencing this problem when I upgraded to windows My file consist of mostly video and are on average mb each Please help My set up HP Pavillion desktop Windows Ultimate bit gb ram Pentium Dual Core CPU ghz gb internal drive tb WD External This is the one with issues gb Seagate external nbsp

A:File transfers WD Hard Drive

It sounds like the drive is dead. You could try professional recovery, but that can run several thousands of dollars. In the off chance that the enclosure has a problem, you could try connecting the drive to your PC internally.

This is why backups are important. Drives fail all the time.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-transfers-wd-hard-drive.895032/
Relevancy 55.9%

What are the different ways in which to transfer Windows 7 backup files from an external hard drive to new Windows 8.1 pc?

A:File transfers from Win7 to Win8

If it's already on an external drive, that kind of limits your options. You can copy and paste, and drag and drop.. but that's about it. However, if you have the files on some other available source (Dropbox, FTP server, etc.), that's different. Are you looking for various ways to transfer files or are they already on an external drive and you can't get them?20 years in IT and counting, baby\m/ > < \m/

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-7/file-transfers-from-win7-to-win8/19187.html
Relevancy 55.9%

Hi.

I have the D-Link 704p router and I can't seem to get file transfers to work. I can send files but I can't receive them. I've tried A LOT of settings and searched the net for answers etc but it just doesn't work. I was wondering if someone here have this router and is able to receive files over ICQ. If so, could you please post step by step how you managed to get it working?

Thanks in advance.

Relevancy 55.9%

I am repeatedly have problems transferring large files between my VISTA Ult 64 machine and my XP Pro 32 bit machine. While trying the transfer files from the Vista machine to the XP machine, the file transfer usually stops and drops off. If I do the transfer of the files from the Vista machine via the XP machine, the files transfer without a hitch. It appears that the transfer cannot be initianted from the VISTA Ult Machine.

Someone must know why this is occurring.

A:Problems with Large FIle transfers

You might give TeraCopy beta a try.

I've been using the 32 bit beta for quite a while. You can change the settings for
buffer sizes in the Options.ini file until you hit an optimum. The other issue may have
to do with file sharing permissions firewall etc.. but at least Vista Shell Copy issues will be out of the loop.

http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/192111-problems-large-file-transfers.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I have a question. I want to get a new hard drive w/ larger capacity for my Dell Inspiron 2600. Is there a way to copy only some files from my old hard drive to my new one? I know there's a way to make mirror images of the hard drive but I don't want to do that.

A:new hard drive and file transfers

Yes, and you can even keep the old harddrive in the computr as an extra storage drive. Set the new harddrive as Master and the old drive as Slave using the jumpers on the back of each drive but do not connect your old drive until Windows setup is done as to avoid a Dual boot system which you don't want). Use your Windows CD to partition, format and do a new install of Windows on the new drive. After Windows is done installing connect yuor old drive back in as a Slave and all the files will be there on the second drive. Once you move all the files you need off the drive you can format the drive using Disk management in 2000/XP and have it for extra space or to seperate your data from your programs.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/new-hard-drive-and-file-transfers.158421/
Relevancy 55.9%

I recently got a Cisco Linksys e router and have two desktop computers hard wired to it One is Windows Professional and the other is Linux Mint The problem however is with my laptop running Windows Home file Problem wireless transfers with Premium The router setup was extremely simple and I get decent file transfer speeds between the desktops and between the Linux machine wired and the Windows HP laptop wireless The problem is between the two Windows machines and is far worse in one direction I got reasonable speeds when I copy from the laptop to the Windows desktop initiating file transfer from the desktop but I am basically unable to initiate Problem with wireless file transfers file transfers from the laptop I can see both desktops on the network and can see shared folders though discovery of them can take a really long time The real problem is when I attempt to copy a file from the Windows desktop to the laptop It will say it is discovering the files to be transferred for several minutes Problem with wireless file transfers even if Problem with wireless file transfers it is only one mp then if the transfer does start it will move along at - k second I ve googled the issue and haven t been able to find an answer It s extremely frustrating Let me know if there is any more information that you need and I will try to provide it Thank you in advance for your help nbsp

A:Problem with wireless file transfers

I should add that the internet connection speed of the laptop, connected wirelessly, is fine.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-wireless-file-transfers.1052882/
Relevancy 55.9%

My two computers are wirelessly networked My desktop is running XP and my laptop has Vista I have been experiencing the strangest problem lately When I try to copy a file to XP from Vista usually a mg avi or mpg video everything is fine but if i try to copy to Vista from XP using the exact same folders it slows down to kb s at BEST It s so slow it s pretty much non-functional I ve looked up this issue and I ve tried the following All firewalls and virus scanners are disabled I ve tried starting the transfer from XP and from Vista same issue transfer to XP is good to vista is crap I did quot diagnose and repair quot on both computers network connections On Vista I disabled Windows Features Windows Meeting Space and Remote Differential Compression I made sure both computers were fully updated and rebooted NOTHING has fixed this issue It seems so strange that I can transfer one direction and not the other other posts had problems with network transfers but didn t specify if it transfers SLOOWWW Strange file was directional I sometimes get the error quot The Path is Too Deep quot whenever it looks like a Strange SLOOWWW file transfers transfer might actually make good time usually right after a reboot Has anyone else ever experienced this issue and managed to fix it nbsp

A:Strange SLOOWWW file transfers

My suspicion is that it has something to do with writing the file onto the Vista. Maybe little free disk space? Defrag needed? Writing to USB connected drive?

I assume that you are using an ad-hoc wireless connection. But, if you are using a router try two additional tests with only one connected by wireless--one with the Vista connected by ethernet and the other with the XP connected by ethernet. Does either way make a difference?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/strange-sloowww-file-transfers.819733/
Relevancy 55.9%

Okay. so I have a latop that I upgraded to xp. Before I F disked it I ran the file transfer and settings wizard and gathered the files I wanted from my laptop. I have done this dozens of times for customers yet this time after loaded XP on my laptop after F disking, the file and transfer wizard say that the file I backed up doe snot contain information about this computer. What gives?

Relevancy 55.9%

Hi all first Connection transfers during file dropping time posting here I m trying to copy a large number of files to my home server and having issues with my connection Running XP SP and using Allway Sync to copy files to a server running Windows Home Server over my wireless connection Which is a realtek RTL USB-based card I start copying Connection dropping during file transfers files and after an indeterminable amount of time Between minute and about I will get an error message stating quot Semaphore timeout period has expired Connection dropping during file transfers quot followed by quot Network path not found quot Even more perplexing is that my entire internet connection is lost at that point and I must release renew or repair the connection My computer is the only one on our network with this issue and my wireless connection is otherwise rock solid - I can even FTP countless files to the server without problems So far I have tried giving myself a static IP at the router D-link DIR- firmware hardware revision A and disabling NetBT NetBIOS over TCP-IP on my machine When I do that I lose all ability to connect to machines by name and must use IP number so instead of server storage I must use storage for example I ve also stopped the Wireless Zero Config service on my machine Also I ran WinsockXPFix to restore a bunch of default settings to my net connection Any suggestions or ideas nbsp

Relevancy 55.9%

I have two questions..I have two accounts on my XP "User" and "Jaime". I would like to consolidate both into one saving files of both but eliminating duplicates. Can this be done?
Also have erratic mouse movements. Not dirty, new mouse. Have MS Intellipoint. I'm an intermediate level user so as much info as possible is appreciated. Links to help would be fine or if it is easily explained in this forum....Thanks.
jberd99usa

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-windows-xp-file-transfers.523689/
Relevancy 55.9%

I was in the middle of a large gb transfer from one drive to another as an afterthought I saw small mb file I wanted to transfer from a or two File transfering when hang more...? transfers different drive origin to the same drive destination as in the bigger transfer These are all serial ata drives with latest drivers though some are connected via usb some are internal Anywho My second transfer looked like it was going to go across pretty quick and then it froze all File transfers hang when transfering two or more...? together for like - minutes during which time the other big transfer looked to be hung Frustrated I tried to cancel the second transfer It reported it would have that done for me in seconds but then minutes later still trying to cancel So I started this post and just seconds ago it managed to cancel itself I am wondering if there is a good way to force it to stop or if there is problem with my system that I can proactively address I have never been a huge fan of the way Microsoft handles multiple transfers or even single transfers for that matter What can be done

A:File transfers hang when transfering two or more...?

Ive used TerraCopy for a long time .... leaves Microsofts copy function in the dust....Get it --==> here

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/24156-file-transfers-hang-when-transfering-two-more.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I have been trying to reload all the data back to the pc after reinstalling windows. whenever I try to copy a folder larger then 10GB it will copy most of the files but then crash with a BSOD the error info is listed below.

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.4
Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
BCCode: 1000007e
BCP1: FFFFFFFFC0000005
BCP2: 0000000300000000
BCP3: FFFFF88002DB28E8
BCP4: FFFFF88002DB2150
OS Version: 6_1_7600
Service Pack: 0_0
Product: 256_1

All the research I have done leads to a memory error but i have run Memtest already and it has passed.

A:BSOD on large file transfers

[1 - Novice] How to ask for help with a BSOD problem

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/86465-bsod-large-file-transfers.html
Relevancy 55.9%

I am doing a large file transfer (multiple files equal to ~5 GB) over my 100 mb lan from windows xp pro to windows vista. The file transfer starts out from full speed of my lan and gradually slows down over 2 minutes until it is only 100 kb/s. What could be causing this problem?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-transfers-slow-down-gradually.548136/
Relevancy 55.9%

I backed up almost all of my files from an old HDD before it dropped dead from I guess old age lol But the HDD was a small one at I believe GB or so and the file system used on it was the FAT I recently bought a GB HDD and have been running things really well off of it but I remembered that I put about GB of saved music pictures and documents on my sister-in-laws computer I was retrieving them to put on my computer now that I have sufficient space for it all and I remembered that the file system that I am using now is the NTFS My question is will I be able to put those FAT files into my new HDD running NTFS or will it mess up the computer I don't want to screw things up here I have worked very hard fixing problems that occurred with this computer before I got ahold of it from my sister-in-law for free because of viruses and other things like dll files that she removed and now that it is running fine I am really cautious about doing things to it that I am not sure of

A:File Transfers of FAT32 to NTFS

FAT32 and NTFS are file systems for the Hard Drives not for the files themselves, files on FAT32 and NTFS systems can be interchanged without damage to the file system or files.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/file-transfers-of-fat32-to-ntfs-519921.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hey everyone I stumbled upon this site while searching for the answer to my problem So thanks for taking a look and for any input you can provide File Software Transfers 3 Raid Slow - I am using Windows Server on a machine with the following Athlon xp gb ddr Netcell raid card as a file server I set up software raid Software Raid 3 - Slow File Transfers with gb hard drives using the Netcell application I would have preferred hardware raid but hey I do what I can Anyway the thing has been working fine for over years but in the past few months I have been noticing abysmal transfer rates Transfer rates over my gigabit network are less than mb s when transferring to or from the raid array When transferring to or from the C drive the speeds are as quick as can be expected Transferring from the C drive to the raid array is equally painstaking so I have ruled out a network problem Additionally the array is free of fragmented files My raid array is at capacity Could this be causing the problem This problem is making things like burning DVD s transferring video files and editing pictures a real problem Can you guys think of any thing Ben nbsp

Relevancy 55.47%

My Linksys WRT N router no longer works so I bought a D-Link DIR- which has Gigabit ports I have a PC with Win -bit with an Atheros L Gigabit Ethernet built in Networks for Transfers for Gigabit Settings File the motherboard an ASUS P B-VM SE I also have GB of RAM and internal hard Settings for File Transfers for Gigabit Networks disks connected via SATA The PC is connected to the router via a Cat cable with the label quot Type CM Settings for File Transfers for Gigabit Networks AWG UL E L quot I also bought a Buffalo Linkstation Live LS-CHLV NAS with a TB HD and it's supposed to have a Gigabit port too The NAS is connected to the router via the Cat cable included with the NAS I checked the settings of the Atheros and it uses quot auto quot for the media type other choices range from Mbps Half Duplex to Mbps Full Duplex The maximum frame size is the default and the receive and transmit buffers at There is no quot jumbo frame quot property in the configurations The NAS only has frame size for the configuration and it's currently set at the default Other options are and all labeled as quot jumbo quot frame sizes I ran LAN Speed Test from the PC with a folder in the NAS as the destination and the results for a -MB file are Mbps for writing and Mbps for reading I experimented by setting the Atheros media type to Mbps Full Duplex and the maximum frame size to I went to the NAS and set the frame size to the highest The transfer speed became worse I could not find any settings in the router except for MTU for Internet connections but I think that's not used for network file transfers so I did not change it the default is I would like to know if the system and components I have are supposed to be enough to do file transfers between the NAS and the PC that are faster than the results I've gotten Also is it necessary to modify Ethernet configurations Finally I do not what else to do except to do the LAN Speed test using the ff options connect the NAS directly to the PC connect to another PC probably a laptop that has Gigabit ethernet and is connected to the router buy two cables that are identified for Gigabit networks and to replace the ones connecting the PC and the NAS to the router Did I get this right

A:Settings for File Transfers for Gigabit Networks

There are no special settings required for a Gigabit network to run at full speed.

You can try going to Cat6 Ethernet cable but the slight speed increase is hardly noticeable.

I have the same D-Link DIR655 router as you do and it moves files plenty fast for me. It's probably one of the best routers on the market.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/219503-settings-file-transfers-gigabit-networks.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi I ve been trying to recover as much data from what I think is a failing HD most of the data being images I ve been using Windows Explorer (copy/cut/move) file transfers slow XP Home to cut and paste file from the failing drive to the new drive both on the same machine The OS is already on the good HD Both are SATA With the exception of dealing with a slew of bad files failed cyclical redundancy check or something like that everthing was going well BUt now the files are being transfer at a snails pace They still transfer but way too slow And when I check the system slow file transfers (copy/cut/move) performance no program seems to be running and I seem to have plenty of resources left Once in awhile I get a spike on the CPU usage chart So do you think that this drive is beginning to go south or could it be something else I just did a clean XP Home install and don t have much loaded onto the new HD slow file transfers (copy/cut/move) yet Running Avast virus and Spywareblaster oh and the XP SP upgrade with it s firewall I have Auto Updates turned off as well as the help services thing saw that here a bit ago Oh and I got a new Antec case PS when I installed the new HD just in case my old PS was dying as well whew Thanks in advance Skip nbsp

A:slow file transfers (copy/cut/move)

As it turns out, it appears that if I try to move, or copy, files from the damaged HD, the files are moved quickly untill a corrupted file is encountered. At that point, things slow to a crawl until I get the error message and can delete that file and start over again.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/slow-file-transfers-copy-cut-move.459473/
Relevancy 55.47%

I am running two windows machines, 7x64 in a LAN using Groups. They both have static IP's. If I transfer a file from one machine to the other, the rate is over 100MB per second which is very good. Going the other way, it slows to only 16KB per second.

What could cause this?

PS: Firewalls and AV turned off.

Thanks,

A:File Transfers between two computers fast only in one direction

I installed a switch moving the network connbecxtions for the wireless router. This fixed the problem.

I wonder if there is a setting in the router that needs changing?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/203154-file-transfers-between-two-computers-fast-only-one-direction.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello The other day my computer started blocking pretty much all of my programs from opening and tons of this program is blocked by name worm kept popping up When I called Dell tech support they said my system had been hijacked via a trojan and I had to create a new user account and buy the System Mechanic software I was told not to use the other account again and that I could delete it I meant to ask this to the tech support operator but he disconnected before I could While I had almost System After Transfers File Hijack Resolved everything backed up on an USB there are a decent amount of albeit not too important things I do not have When I go to delete the old account it gives me the option to transfer over all of the old files Would this be safe I also thought I could log into the old account copy over the few photos and documents I need to my external drive and then delete the old account The tech operator did copy over everything that was backed up locally which was nothing so I thought perhaps the individual files wouldn t be infected just the browsers I guess I m asking perhaps stupidly if trojans could infect documents pictures and videos and if I would do any harm to my computer and this new system by bringing over the old files or logging into the infected one again to retrieve them specifically Many thanks for any help you can provide nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-transfers-after-resolved-system-hijack.1027989/
Relevancy 55.47%

I'm really at my wits end on this one (I'm even seriously thinking mac for the first time in my life)....

I'm a photographer and ofter shot literally 1000s of images per week. Lately windows exporer crashes about half the time I am trying to move images from the CF cards to my hard drive... generally after about 10 or 11 files have transferred... sometimes it takes 5 minutes for explorer to get over the "stopped working" message so I can restart... only to fail again. This happens on my desktop with Vista Ultimate and on my laptop with Vista Home.

I can't find any help anywhere but I can't use windows the way it is working (not).

any ideas GREATLY appreciated.

cheers,

Tom O'Connell

A:Windows Explorer crashes during file transfers

Just a couple more facts... both pc's have 4 gb ram, both are Sony Vaio, I have the problem whether I use Copy or Cut commands. The files are all RAW files at 12-14 mb each. It doesn't help if all apps are closed or not. It doesn't seem to matter whether the files are coming from a card via usb reader or from an external hard drive.

thanks again,

tom

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-explorer-crashes-during-file-transfers.783307/
Relevancy 55.47%

I have a desktop running Vista ultimate with Gigabit LAN direct speed for file high ICS transfers? ports One is on the PCI bus and I have that one connected to my -LAN port wireless router as the router is a T- piece of gear and my high-speed internet connection is nowhere ICS for direct high speed file transfers? near that speed I also have a laptop runnings Vista Ultimate x that I normally use wirelessly and have sucsessfully set up a local network on it for sharing files and media via Windows Media Sharing I want though to ICS for direct high speed file transfers? be able to connect the laptop directly to the desktops second gigabit port the PCI-E one via CAT- cable because large files take forever to transfer to the laptop when i connect either via Wireless-g or plug it directly in to the router How do I set up the desktop to both share the incoming internet connection and allow me to transfer files directly to the laptop I sort of got it working by bridging the two NICs but everytime i connected the laptop via CAT- the desktop saw it as part of an 'Unidentified network quot and i had to go into network connections and set it from public to private to get things to work Both computers are set to workgroup name 'playgroup' I figured that this was not really set up as well as it coud be and uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers on all NIC cards and tried starting from scratch but im still stuck I just want to be able to plug the laptop directly into the desktop when i need to move some big stuff arround without having to asign a static address to the laptop because i aslo regularly connect at other locations would rather keep it set to get address automaticly via DNS Thank you for any help

A:ICS for direct high speed file transfers?

Intresting project. If you have a gigabit switch then I would upgrade to wireless N, gigabit compatible. Yet if two computers are plugged into a gigabit switch transfering files, that's your speed limit.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/211235-ics-direct-high-speed-file-transfers.html
Relevancy 55.47%

My old hard drive sounds like it is about to die. So I am wondering, once I install my new HD (format and install windows) will it be possible to hook up my old HD and transfer the files from it to the new HD? I am using W7 and both drives would be SATA.

A:Hard Drive Upgrade & File Transfers

the simple answer is yes.

you just need to be careful that you will be booting from the new drive.

you can either select disk boot priority in the bios, or make sure the new drive is plugged into the first sata port on your mobo.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/136819-hard-drive-upgrade-file-transfers.html
Relevancy 55.47%

So I have HomeGroup working on my home PC and my laptop. I want to make it so that any files I place or any changes I make in the "Videos" and "Music" folder will automatically be shared with my laptop and placed in it's "Video/Music" folder (I mean the folders that are easy-accessed in the sidebar of Windows Explorer under "Libraries"). Is this possible? If so, how do I accomplish it?

A:How do I do automatic file transfers on two computers in HomeGroup?

Windows sync toy works well for that.

Download: SyncToy 2.1 - Microsoft Download Center - Download Details

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/230130-how-do-i-do-automatic-file-transfers-two-computers-homegroup.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hello all,

Some time lurker here, but first time poster as my network file transfers/streaming issue is really starting to grate on me. I have 3 pcs in my flat, all of which are wired with the correct cabling, via an 8 port Netgear G5608v2, giving me Gigabit throughout. The machines are as follows:

PC1: As per my system specs
PC2: Vista x64 SP1, Athlon x2 5600, 4gb 6400 ram, Asus M3N-H/HDMI motherboard
PC3: Win7 RTM, Athlon XP 3000, 1.5gb 3200 ram, Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe.

Each PC connects at 1Gbps according to the LAN connection status. However, any attempt to transfer or stream files from PC1 to PC2 or 3 results in a miserable transfer speed of 5-6mb at best, making transfer/streaming even the likes of a DVD a painful chore.

I've installed the latest network card driver for PC1 from Windows Update (v) but it has made no difference at all.

Any thoughts on what to do?

Thanks.

A:Painfully slow gigabit file transfers

Do you have any security software running on the computers (including the built in Windows firewall)? If so, have you verified the security software isn't the problem?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/23750-painfully-slow-gigabit-file-transfers.html
Relevancy 55.47%

i am trying to transfer a 4 GB+ file (video) onto a 32 GB pendrive (FAT32) but a message - "The file 'xyz' is too large for the destination file system" - comes. is it because the pendrive has FAT32 formatting? and if so, should i format it into NTFS?

A:large (> 4 GB) file transfers in FAT32/NTFS

Welcome to the Seven Forums

You are correct you will need to format to NTFS as FAT32 is limited to 4 GB.

Jerry

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/324135-large-4-gb-file-transfers-fat32-ntfs.html
Relevancy 55.47%

Hi my MSN Messenger Transfers File Msn Automatic Messenger Spyware seems to be automatically sending random pictures to people I think it's a virus and my anti-virus anti-spyware scanners did not catch it also it will Msn Messenger Spyware Automatic File Transfers talk to your cantacts then send it ex Hey is this a pic of you Here is my HijackThis log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Msn Messenger Spyware Automatic File Transfers NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files Google Common Google Updater GoogleUpdaterService exeC Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system nvsvc exeC WINDOWS system PnkBstrA exeC WINDOWS system STacSV exeC Program Files iPod bin iPodService exeC Program Files MSN Messenger usnsvc exeC WINDOWS system winlogon exeC WINDOWS Explorer EXEC WINDOWS sttray exeC WINDOWS system RUNDLL EXEC Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exeC Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exeC Program Files QuickTime qttask exeC Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exeC Program Files LiveProtect LiveProtect exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files BitTorrent bittorrent exeC WINDOWS system ICROSO services exeC Program Files Steam Steam exeC WINDOWS system wkssvc exeC Documents and Settings Bryan My Documents ystem w nspool exeC Program Files Electronic Arts EADM Core exeC Program Files Google Google Updater GoogleUpdater exeC Program Files Logitech SetPoint SetPoint exeC Program Files Xfire xfire exeC Program Files Common Files Logitech KHAL KHALMNPR EXEC Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exeC Program Files Java jre bin jucheck exeC DOCUME Bryan LOCALS Temp e C DOCUME Bryan LOCALS Temp e C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WLLoginProxy exeC Program Files Messenger msmsgs exeC Program Files WinRAR WinRAR exeC DOCUME Bryan LOCALS Temp Rar EX HijackThis exeR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google ca R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - URLSearchHook Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dllF - REG win ini load C WINDOWS system xucsffjvvc csrss exeF - REG win ini run C WINDOWS system xucsffjvvc csrss exeO - Hosts f-secure comO - Hosts www f-secure comO - Hosts ftp f-secure comO - Hosts ftp sophos comO - Hosts liveupdate symantec comO - Hosts customer symantec comO - Hosts dispatch mcafee comO - Hosts download mcafee comO - Hosts rads mcafee comO - Hosts mast mcafee comO - Hosts my-etrust comO - Hosts www my-etrust comO - Hosts nai comO - Hosts www nai comO - Hosts networkassociates comO - Hosts secure nai comO - Hosts securityresponse symantec comO - Hosts service symantec comO - Hosts sophos comO - Hosts www sophos comO - Hosts support microsoft comO - Hosts symantec comO - Hosts www symantec comO - Hosts update symantec comO - Hosts updates symantec comO - Hosts us mcafee comO - Hosts vil nai comO - Hosts viruslist comO - Hosts www viruslist comO - Hosts grisoft comO - Hosts www grisoft comO - Hosts free grisoft comO - Hosts trendmicro comO - Hosts housecall trendmicro comO - Hosts www trendmicro comO - Hosts pandasoftware comO - Hosts www pand... Read more

A:Msn Messenger Spyware Automatic File Transfers

Please download to the Desktop: MsnVirRem.exeClose any other programs running as the tool requires a reboot to complete the removal process. Double click MsnVirRem.exe to run the tool Click the button labeled Search and Destroy to scan for infected files. When the scanning is complete you are prompted to reboot/restart the machine ONLY if infected. Click "OK" if this is the case and then click the "REBOOT" Button. After the reboot, you receive "file not found" error messages (usually 4). Please acknowledge these error messages and continue. A Message should then popup from MsnVirRem. If not, double click the program again for it to finish.The tool creates a log file of it's removal process located at C:\msnvirrem.log~~~~Now, download ComboFixSave it to the DesktopDouble-click combofix.exe to run the programFollow the prompts.(Don't click on the window while the program is running, it may cause your system to stall.)When finished, a log, ComboFix.txt, is produced.~~~~Run HijackThis once again to obtain a new log.~~~~Please post the C:\msnvirrem.log, the ComboFix.txt, and a new HijackThis log in your reply.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/109284/msn-messenger-spyware-automatic-file-transfers/
Relevancy 54.61%

So, I used this Parallel marked especially for Direct Connection file transfer. Now. I set up this connection on both computers. both have Windows XP, both are Service Pack 2. One as the host, and one as the guest. however. while I can directly connect the two, niether of the computers show in terms of shared files or even workgroup computers. I don't know how to get this to work, and I cannot afford any USB cables. not right now anyway.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 54.61%

Just curious ... do PC-to-PC file transfers count towards cable Internet service usage? For instance, if I move 10 GB of data from one PC to another in my Homegroup, is that 10 GB counted as part of the 100GB+ of cable data that I've used?

Thank you!

A:Do PC-to-PC file transfers count towards cable data usage?

Only data exchanged between you and your ISP counts towards your quota. Activity between computers in your local network are not seen by your ISP and are not counted.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/32812-do-pc-pc-file-transfers-count-towards-cable-data-usage.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi there I am working on a computer for a friend It is a brand new build the specs are as follows Z OC Formula motherboard Intel i XMS Corsair mhz DDR gb X GB - Corsair CMX GX M A C GB x GB DDR ram timings from website store say or playing BSOD doing file transfers starcraft 2 while 0x0109 - MHz - - - V - bios set the ram to - - - mhz and volts Sandisk gb SSD Nvidia Geforce w bronze rated coolermaster power supply Windows ultimate bit Zonealarm extreme security suite All windows updates it has detected are installed anti virus is fully up to date The BSOD code that has appeared with regularity is x with the parameter of x from my searching this suggests a ram voltage issue I am looking for someone to give me some help as I have spent several days trying to weed out these bluescreens and am still stuck with the BSOD while playing starcraft 2 or doing file transfers 0x0109 x bluescreen It mostly occurs while doing large file transfers or playing starcraft It has however occurred whilst completely IDLE SF diagnostic is attached I appreciate any insights please let me know if you require any other information

A:BSOD while playing starcraft 2 or doing file transfers 0x0109

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

Code:
fffff880`082735e8 fffff880`04ea11b1Unable to load image \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\klif.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for klif.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for klif.sys
klif+0x51b1
Description here: Driver Reference Table - klif.sys
___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi Johnthefast.

Uninstall Kaspersky using Kaspersky Removal Tool. At least as a test. Use Microsoft Security Essentials as your antivirus with windows inbuilt firewall, and free MBAM as the on demand scanner.
Download, install and update those, and then run full system scans with both of them, one by one.

Let us know how it is running then.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Code:
BugCheck 109, {a3a039d8a63cb6c8, b3b7465ef8b9861e, fffff800035c28d0, 1}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : memory_corruption
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BugCheck 1000007E, {ffffffffc0000005, fffff800032cc252, fffff88008273938, fffff88008273190}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KxStartSystemThread+16 )
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BugCheck 109, {a3a039d8a4e95972, b3b7465ef76628c8, fffff8000327a958, 1}

*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Probably caused by : memory_corruption

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/308540-bsod-while-playing-starcraft-2-doing-file-transfers-0x0109.html
Relevancy 54.61%

This is a computer that I built a couple of months ago and it consistently crashes when running handbrake not every time but say out of times It will also crash when making large file transfers like moving my movies from one hard drive to another I have ran Memtest without any problems I have also ran Prime When running prime these are the options It ran the first two options with no problems but crashes pretty quickly when running the blend test Here is a copy of the report from reliability manager for the crash Source Windows Summary Shut down unexpectedly Date PM Status Not reported Problem signature Problem Event Name BlueScreen OS Version Locale ID Extra information about the problem BCCode BCP BCP FFFFFA D F BCP BCP OS Version Service Pack Product I have updated and reupdated all the drivers a couple of times Also I ran handbrake in SAFEMODE and still had the crash I was trying to eliminate some of the hardware and drivers from causing the crashes but I am not sure what drivers or hardware are eliminated during SAFEMODE Please help thanks System Specs OS - Windows Enterprise BIT SP CPU - Intel Core Quad Q Motherboard - Asus P N-VM WS REFURBISHED Memory - GB - DDR G SKILL Graphics Card large file running BSOD or during when transfers handbrake - Integrated NVIDIA FX Hard Drives - BSOD when running handbrake or during large file transfers WD G amp WD TB PSU - THERMALTAKE W Cooling - COOLMASTER

A:BSOD when running handbrake or during large file transfers

Your .dmp file shows a stop error of 0x124 which is a general hardware error .

Quote:
A "stop 0x124" is fundamentally different to many other types of bluescreens because it stems from a hardware complaint.

Stop 0x124 minidumps contain very little practical information, and it is therefore necessary to approach the problem as a case of hardware in an unknown state of distress

Some generic advice.

If you are overclocking STOP. Return to the default settings at least for now.
If you are running a RAID update its driver.
You can read more on this error and what to try here... Stop 0x124 - what it means and what to try

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/219808-bsod-when-running-handbrake-during-large-file-transfers.html
Relevancy 54.61%

When trying to move large files under gb im well aware of NTFS transfers complete to external drives File wont FAT the file will transfer up to and then will hang of upwards of - mins before sometimes completing and just flat out wont transfer multiple large files at all will hang after the first file gets to the same condition as before I can still transfer from internal to internal and even from external to internal works fine just no luck internal to external I have tried every usb port on the front and back panels and have no variation I have tried a lot of different things latest being a complete full reformatting of my OS drive and complete reinstallation win pro x Have run all latest updates and made sure that all drivers BIOS firmwares are all the latest and current but am still having the exact same issue as the last OS install Have tried with multiple external drives and usb drives File transfers to external drives wont complete full formats of all File transfers to external drives wont complete and still so change I am starting to worry that it is a motherboard issue which really would suck as the latest AMD boards are not on sale yet Have spent many hours now combing the forums for suggestions and cannot find anything that helps Thank you all in advance for your opinions and suggests

A:File transfers to external drives wont complete

Thaddeus I take it you are using the 3.0 USB ports mate? Plus I am assuming you have installed the drivers from Gigabyte and not just the Windows check as I do not rely on that at all.

Next to check I would take a stab at checking the drive the data is going to. It might ban idea to check these two Seagates you have personally I do not like very large drives as when they crash so does a lot of data and they seem to be a prominent cause of problems in this forum
SeaTools for Windows | Seagate

Before that if you haven't already done them try these an delete any crap on the machine.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html < DO NOT run on a SSD

http://www.superantispyware.com/

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

download from bleeping computer

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/312682-file-transfers-external-drives-wont-complete.html
Relevancy 54.61%

Hi I have moved to Windows Ultimate x for almost half a year recently my hard drive was getting full and I decided to move some of the data to usb external hard drives Both the externals I have are IDE hard drives and both are in file drives transfers Corruption to USB large Windows 7: NTFS I always use Quicksfv to make a CRC check file before I transfer the file and then run the CRC check after its been copied over to the external drive I have used these externals in the past with Windows XP and Windows 7: Corruption in large file transfers to USB drives had no problems However on Windows when transferring large files usually over GB in size I get corruption in the files The corruption occurs randomly if I recopy the files again it might be corruption free This only occurs when copying files from internal to external if I copy files from the external to my internal there's no corruption at all I have tried changing the usb cables Windows 7: Corruption in large file transfers to USB drives power cable of the externals using different usb ports but none of it helped I scanned both externals with chkdsk and I used memtest for over hours and all the tests passed fine Regards Pleco

A:Windows 7: Corruption in large file transfers to USB drives

are you using a usb2+ device on a usb1 port/cord?
Do you have relevant system(dsk) errors after the corruption?
Are you using windows explorer to copy/move the files to the externals? Or other program?

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/143945-windows-7-corruption-large-file-transfers-usb-drives.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I have a host computer in my home office and (clients) an old computer in basement and new laptop in family room. They all have an icon in MY COMPUTER that says shared with each other. All now running WinXP. In the archive I found a posting that directed me to some sites which all advised to right click the file I want to share and click the boxes which say to share files with any network users. However, when I go on my laptop and click the icon for sharing with the host computer none of the folders I selected show up as being able to access. To make things simple "How do I make a folder on my HOST comptuer able to be accessed by my laptop or basement computers?
Greg & Grimm

Relevancy 54.18%

I m attempting to set up a home network between my PC and Notebook NB both Windows XP Home Editions Internet sharing is going well with my wireless router but file sharing is a different story When accessing quot My Network Places quot from the PC I can see both Home on Sharing Network File the local PC shared folder and the NB shared folder They re also both in my workgroup and I can access each Unfortunately I have less success when accessing the network from my NB File Sharing on Home Network In quot My Network Places quot I only see the local NB shared folder Within the working group I am able to File Sharing on Home Network see both the local folder and the PC s shared folder But when attempting to access the PC s folder I get quot is not accessible You might not have permission quot Both computers have the same IP scheme and subnet can ping each other by name and IP have the same working group name and the usernames and passwords on each mirror each other XP firewall has been turned of and my third-party firewall zone alarm has been removed uninstalled File sharing is enabled and both sharedocs folders have been shared-out Any advice would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

I'm having difficulty trying to get my new Windows pc set up to share files across my existing home wired network which consists of desktop pc running WinXP and laptop running home File sharing network across a WinXP I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong I want the 'C' drive on each of the computers to be shared I've had the Windows XP computers set up and working like this for several years without a problem but I can't seem to get the 'C' drive on the Win computer to do the same All computers have the same workgroup name and none of them require passwords to log on to Windows There are no problems with the firewalls on any of the File sharing across a home network machines On the Windows PC when I right click on the 'C' drive and select the 'Sharing' tab I have set this up to be shared and when I click on the 'Advanced Sharing' button there is a tick in the 'Share this folder' box the 'Share name' is 'C' If I then click on the 'Permissions' button this shows a 'Group or user name' 'Everyone' and this group has Full Control Change and Read boxes ticked As far as I can see there is nothing more I can do However from my Windows XP computer when I go to My Network Places and double click on the icon for the Win 'C' drive I get the message quot Computername is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resource Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions The network path was not found quot I've subsequently set up a sub folder of the Win 'C' drive for sharing by right clicking on the folder choosing 'Share with' and then selecting 'Specific people' I then set up a group called 'Everyone' with read write permissions Now I can navigate to this folder from my WinXP computers So why doesn't Win allow me to share the 'C' drive at this level Any help would be greatly appreciated

A:File sharing across a home network

Sharing the root drive is blocked for a reason.
You'd be completely open to hacking and malware injection attempts by anyone that happened to ping your IP.

Win 7 is trying to keep you from compromising your entire system.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/180000-file-sharing-across-home-network.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi, I have set up a wireless internet on three computers at home. This works fine. How do I sort out file sharing between them? I have run the home network setup wizard on XP (all computers) and nothing is there in My Network Places.

A:File sharing on home network

Assuming you put all computers into the same workgroup and enabled file and printer sharing ...

The Shared Documents folder will be shared automatically. For any other folder you want to share, right click on it and choose 'sharing ...'. You can optionally give write permission.

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (20 minutes; even hours) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers, and a few computer restarts.

If your workgroup doesn't begin to work soon, or you get some error messages, we can start troubleshooting.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/file-sharing-on-home-network.403896/
Relevancy 54.18%

We have two pcs under Win7 and wish to share files. The instructions for setting up a home group do not seem to work.

A:File sharing on Home network

This should help you: Sharing and Permissions

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/228522-file-sharing-home-network.html
Relevancy 54.18%

Hi everyone!
I recently started using a VPN. However some websites block VPN ips so I can't visit them.
To solve this problem I would like to add the blocked website's IP to my route table.
It works fine on my other laptops but on my PC it doesn't seem to function. I ran the following command as an administrator in my cmd. Got the OK! feedback message but I still get blocked from visiting the website when on a VPN.

Code:
Route add [website IP] [Default Gateway]

At the bottom of this screenshot :

you can see that the IP is indeed added to the list but sadly it doesn't function. I have been suggested to reinstall my Windows 10 but was wondering if there aren't any other solutions to this problem.
Thanks in advance!

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/52988-network-routing-tables.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I am on windows Professional Edition My PC has x Network cards which are connected to two different routers One of the interface which is Gbps is connected to router which does not has internet connectivity and other connected to Mbps interface has an internet connectivity When both networks are up and running I am unable to access internet To access internet I need to disable the Gbps interface and thus facing a lot of issues I read many articles where the routing information has been recommended to be updated Can some one help me with routing information and a permanent solution to get rid of this issue Also both interface get their IP from DHCP interfaces network for Routing 2 Help Servers running on Routers This means the IP can change any Routing Help for 2 network interfaces time as well HTML Code Currently Interface has IP address No Internet Access Currently Interface Routing Help for 2 network interfaces has IP address With Internet Access Someone please help me with routing command The one that I know as of now is Code route delete -p But this command has to be executed each time windows restart and if there is a change in IP address the command has Routing Help for 2 network interfaces to be modified for that as well

A:Routing Help for 2 network interfaces

There is no reason to connect to 2 routers.

You should only be using 1 network card, the Gb card.

Make sure it`s enabled and disable the other through device manager, if you get not internet connection just run the troubleshooter.

Post a shot of device manager with the network adapter expanded.

Example:

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/358117-routing-help-2-network-interfaces.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I m trying to design the network for a class lab environment and I m in over my head I need an isolated VLAN for each student team Each VLAN would contain identical configurations with an identical set of VMs occupying the same IP range in each VLAN But I also want each team to have access to a common subnet with a common file share shared hardware equipment Network question routing etc I thought we could insert a router probably implemented Network routing question in a VM between each VLAN and the common subnet That would let the students reach from their VLAN to the common subnet But routing back from the common Network routing question subnet to the individual VLANs would be a problem since all VLANs use the same IP range Would it be Network routing question possible to have each VLAN s router map via NAT or whatever the VLAN s IPs into a different range so the common subnet sees a different IP range for each VLAN For example common subnet is on Each VLAN is on From each VLAN you can access your own IPs at and through the router the common subnet on Now let s say the router maps VLAN X into X so from the common subnet you can reach VLAN at etc Even better if we could have one router VM with VNICs with VNIC on the common subnet and on each of the VLANs doing the kind of IP mapping described above Does that make sense Is it possible Or is there a better answer Thanks Gary nbsp

Relevancy 54.18%

Hello all looking for a little help Started experiencing playback lag on most movies that were stored on my E Drive which is a gb western digital taking a movie off that harddrive and placing it on my C drive gb WDraptorx sometimes would hang during the file transfer for minutes then start up again playback would be smooth if played from my external or main c drive so i thought this could be my E drive was failing so i tried a disk check over night but was only when i got up and didn't seem to be moving at all week later i get a BSOD and freezes for minutes so i did a hard reset freezes on loading screen for windows and BSOD once again once is started harddrive issuse Playback transfers failure - file - freezing up in bios got windows is missing a certain file and prompted me to system restore and was freezing every couple of minutes but completed successfully hours later i get BSOD and BIOS reports the C drive as BAD did a check disk for it and had a ton of unreadable sections but it completed haven't been able to get back to windows since ATM am Playback issuse - file transfers freezing - harddrive failure trying start up repair but its already on hours This computer and its hard drives are years everything is hooked up via SATA connections Should i take the main drive out and install windows on to my secondary or is it possible that they are both failing and should just purchase a new hard drive

A:Playback issuse - file transfers freezing - harddrive failure

Rectify a Damaged Hard Drive

Sometimes the cause of BSoD is a faulty hard disk. Most Windows operating systems have a diagnostic scan for the hard drive, and you need to run this to figure out the problem. Sometimes the operating system will encounter a problem where it is unable to read from the hard disk, and in such cases apart from the hard disk, you also need to check out the SCSI (Small Computer System Interface) terminator.

Return hardware settings to default in Device Manager.
Return BIOS settings to their default levels.
Scan your computer for viruses.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/223597-playback-issuse-file-transfers-freezing-harddrive-failure.html