Windows Support Forum

Using a router to create connection from a wireless network to a wired printer

Q: Using a router to create connection from a wireless network to a wired printer

Help please?

I have recently moved to a rented property and have had fibre broadband installed. The hub is next to the modem which had to be placed at the main telecom entry point to the house. This means that the hub and modem are in the sitting room. I want to have my printer upstairs but do not wish to run a cable all the way from the hub to the printer. I do have a couple of old wireless hubs - a Belkin and a 2-Wire. Would it be possible to put one of these upstairs hardwired to the printer and configure one of these to pick up the wireless signal from the new hub? Or am I mad??

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Using a router to create connection from a wireless network to a wired printer

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Using a router to create connection from a wireless network to a wired printer

Hey winkent. I see a need for more info.

Is your "modem" a combo modem/router, and if so, is it a wireless model?
How many pc's are being used and how do they connect, wired or wirelessly?
Is this printer a network printer (has an Ethernet jack)?
Are these hubs or are they switches?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/using-a-router-to-create-connection-from-a-wireless-network-to-a-wired-printer.192877/
Relevancy 88.04%

The title might be a little misleading. I connected a new HP multi-function printer to my wireless router via a wired connection. I followed the instructions and the printer is working fine. The problem is a very short time later my phone, laptop and Wii were disconnected from the wireless network and will not reconnect. Wii support says that a connection cannot be established because the router will not assign an IP address to it.Prior to connecting the printer, I've never had any problems connecting via a wireless connection with as many devices as I could possibly connect to it (phones, laptops, iPods, etc). There's also been a desktop connected to the router via wire prior to and after the printer was connected.
Any suggestions?

Relevancy 89.01%

hello,
I'm fairly new at networking.
Devices:
Oce fx300 wired printer
laptop running windows 7
netgear WGR614 v8 with DD-WRT Nokaid firmware

Problem: wireless router connection only established when ethernet cable is connected to router and computer, once unplugged the connection is disabled.

I am attempting to make this wired printer wireless through my wireless router which has been recently fitted with dd-wrt software. I have already set a static ip adress for the computer, and set the local printer connection up. My problem lies withing the router setting I am assuming since it seems like the router wont connect wireless. Please help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wired-printer-to-wireless-via-router-issues.194602/
Relevancy 88.58%

I have recently sorted out the wireless connection of a child's laptop to a wireless printer. It works perfectly. Howver, the parent's, wired, desktop computer does not now print. No changes were made to the desktop , which was working fine before this.. I am not at the location now but are there any ideas why this should suddenly occur. Both computers are running XP.

A:Wireless printer not printing from wired computer after connection by wireless lapto

Wireless printers can be connected both by USB and wireless simultaneously. However, I have come across many that say they should but don't do so easily. Sometimes they have to be setup wireless first then USB and others vice versa..
In my opinion, it is probably the best option to add the printer to the desktop through the network. Then there should be no problems with setup. Hope that helps..

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-printer-not-printing-from-wired-computer-after-connection-by-wireless-lapto.998920/
Relevancy 87.72%

Hello everyone!

I have the following extremely irritating problem: I have a home network with 3 PC's and a wireless router. Two of the computers are connected to the router wirelessly, and the third - via wire. Everything is OK with the internet connection on all computers. The problem is I cannot make the wireless connected computers see the third computer over the network and thus have File and printer sharing. It is important, because my printers are connected to the "wired" computer and I need to have access to it via the network to be able to print.

All three computers are on the same workgroup, the two with wireless cards see each other and communicate, but neither of them is able to see the wired PC!
However, a ping of the wired computer is possible, but it cannot be seen in Network Neighbourhood.

What can be the problem? It really drives me nuts!

A:Wired to wireless connection via router...

On the problem computer, and one of the others, please do this.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following two commands:

nbtstat -n

ipconfig /all

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wired-to-wireless-connection-via-router.650505/
Relevancy 87.29%

Here is my question, My roommate has a wireless network installed in the apartment we share. It is actually set up nicely, very rarely any problems getting on-line and browsing and such. The router is a Netgear WNDA 3700 and cable service is thru Comcast. I play a lot of on-line games and sometimes the connection will drop and I get a lot of lag and sometimes die (no fun). I was wondering if it is possible to run a Cat 5 cable from the back of the router straight to my computer, there is 1 connection available on the router, and If this is possible I want to make sure it won't interfere with him getting on the internet and doing whatever he does while I'm on-line. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

Relevancy 86.86%

Hey all I have been trying to set up a router at my girlfriend's apartment I first tried a Linksys router that I had brought from home I hooked it up from the wall port to the router to my computer I was able to access the normal Linksys wireless setup page at and set up a network fine I then unplugged my ethernet cable and attempted to connect to the network and was not able to If I recall it 'connected' but there was no internet connection Likewise I connected directly into the router to see if I could at least get the LAN internet to work but Work Connection Router or to Wired Cannot Get Wireless to no avail it was the same issue I then tried with a Netgear router she had bought and I had the same issue both with the wireless and the wired connection I tried setting both Cannot Get Wireless or Wired Router Connection to Work of these up both ones on my laptop and her Macbook with the same results I ran Cannot Get Wireless or Wired Router Connection to Work ipconfig but I couldn't release renew because the 'Media is disconnected' and I'm not sure where to go from there I also made sure all the wires were snugly in their ports and even tried switching between ports Could anyone provide some assistance

A:Cannot Get Wireless or Wired Router Connection to Work

Normally you would connect the wall port to a modem first, then to a router, then plug machines into router or use the wireless from the router. Do you have a modem?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/235780-cannot-get-wireless-wired-router-connection-work.html
Relevancy 86.86%

I m new to wireless networking so this may seem like a dumb question I have a Belkin wireless G router with computers in the house running off the router Does the router require that at least one computer be Router; Solved: at connection? Need 1 Wireless wired least connected with a cable I ve run a quick search of the pdf manual and the manufacturer database with no success trying to see Solved: Wireless Router; Need at least 1 wired connection? if this is possible Presently there is a desktop system in the same room as the router and modem and connected to the router with a cable There are two other computers connecting to the router wirelessly in other parts of the house I want to move the desktop connected to the router with the cable to another room in the house but that would leave the router with no computer connected with a cable does it matter The modem was placed where it is by the cable company and the router is next to it Thanks for your help nbsp

Relevancy 86.86%

Hi I looked through the tutorials Wired to Share Wireless Router to 7) a Connection (XP a and didn't see anything quite like this so I'm wondering what needs to be done to get this working I had C X internet hooked to my modem had the modem hooked to my wired router and the router distributing the internet to my desktop and two xboxs and my laptop was just picking up free wireless internet much faster than what i was paying for So I canceled my C X subscription and I'm wondering this can I receive wireless internet for free on my laptop then send this signal via ethernet cable to my router and have the router distribute the signal to my desktop pc and my xboxs i'll attach a picture of what i'm talking about if you need it Share a Wireless Connection to a Wired Router (XP to 7) the laptop is winxp sp and the desktop is win x ultimate i ran the internet connection sharing wizard on the laptop on the wireless connection and went to use the usb drive to configure the windows but it says 'netsetup exe is not a valid win application' so i'm not sure where to go from here in the network map on ultimate it lists the desktop the switch the gateway and the xboxes but it says no internet if there's already a link i missed or someone who's done this successfully please let me know thank you

A:Share a Wireless Connection to a Wired Router (XP to 7)

Are you saying you are using someone elses internet access so you cancelled yours? Do they know you are using it?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/149249-share-wireless-connection-wired-router-xp-7-a.html
Relevancy 86.86%

Everything was working My son has a USB nintendo wireless connector that stopped working when i added my wireless router as switch I tried to give the switch a new IP and in doing so everything just Router Wireless Wired & unstable connection went to hell even after resetting everything back This is how it was setup before I messed around it worked properly Cable Modem connected to WIRED DLINK DI- IP DI- then connects to WIRELESS router DLINK DIR- configured as switch ip The wire from the first router is plugged into Port of the Wireless Wired & Wireless Router unstable connection The INTERNET port on the wireles is not used I have computers connected one wireless N to the wireless router now switch ports amp The all have unique IP s to Can anyone confirm if this configuration is correct At the moment it is still good but I have had to Release Renew several times this morning the one thing I Wired & Wireless Router unstable connection noticed was the DNS server was sometimes changing to after I renewed it went back to I have unplugged everything and reconnected in sequence starting at the Modem This is how the quot working quot configuration looks DHCP Enabled YES Autoconfig Enabled YES IP to Subnet Default Gateway DHCP DNS Edit I logged into the DIR and UNchecked quot Enable DNS relay quot now I ll see if it helps thanks for your replies nbsp

Relevancy 86.86%

Ok I ve been browsing the forums and I ve seen wireless on with connection router windows wired Help xp and similar but no exact matches of the problem I m facing I m using a linksys WRT G ver router along with a Zyxel Prestige -R modem provided by Help with wireless router and wired connection on windows xp my ISP Unfortunately I have two problems when using my router and modem together First is when using a wired connection that has the modem connected to the router and the router connected to any of my computers laptops and a desktop pc I am unable to connect to the internet However with my two laptops I am able to get on the internet wirelessly through the router wich brings me to my second problem With Help with wireless router and wired connection on windows xp my desktop pc which uses a usb wireless stick the Encore IEEE g wireless usb adapter ENUWI-G the cheapest one I could find I can t connect to the internet Since my ISP requires the use of a dialer the error I get is that the remote computer did not respond when trying to connect although I am able to connect to the wireless network itself I only need a solution for one of the problems and it would be greatly appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 86.43%

I am trying to add a new network-ready printer Brother MFC- N to my existing wireless network The printer is connected to a LAN port on the back of a wireless router The pre-existing wireless network consists of a Linksys BEFW S wireless router a wired Windows XP Home desktop and a wireless Windows XP Home laptop The network has MAC address filtering and WEP security enabled I wired WEP network with Solved: security wireless printer on network turned off both MAC and WEP security when installing the printer and the wired desktop was able to detect the printer after going through quot add network printer quot I got the printer s MAC address from the printer test page and added that to the router and turned the MAC filtering back on and still ok I was able to detect the printer from the wired desktop and print I then turned on the WEP security Solved: WEP security with wired network printer on wireless network and suddenly the wired desktop no longer detects the printer tried pinging printer s IP address If I turn off WEP the desktop again recognizes the printer I m not sure why WEP is affecting communication between two components that are both wired into the router I haven t even tried to get the wireless laptop to communicate with the printer yet since I can t even get the wired desktop fully working first I don t want to disable WEP security so that is not an option Brother support says Solved: WEP security with wired network printer on wireless network its an issue with the router Is there some setting I need to change on the router Alternatively I think if I got a wireless print server and entered the WEP Solved: WEP security with wired network printer on wireless network key into the print server it would work but then there was no point in getting a network-ready printer in the first place I could have just kept my old non-network printer Any suggestions would be much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 86.43%

I have 4 computers hard wired together using a netgear gateway router RT314. All these computers hooked to the internet by cable modem. Want to add a laptop to this network using DLink DI-624 wireless router.Laptop has
a wired and wireless nic installed.
What would be the step by step instructions to add this wireless router to the wired router.

Relevancy 86%

The router is a DLink WBR - 2310. I had been receiving internet through a DSL provider, and both wired and wireless connections worked fine. I've hooked up this router, and the wired connection is working by the wireless connection is not. The Wireless Network Connection says that I'm connected, but when I open Firefox with the wireless connection, but no wired connection, no webpages will load. Any thoughts?

A:Trouble with Router; wired connection works but wireless does not

could be a firewal blocking - have you switched off the firewall on the PC

any other PC able to use the wireless connection ?

Do you have wireless encryption enabled - if so try taking that OFF - by logging into router and removing wireless secruity

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Download and install
http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php

Then run the program and post a screen shot of the program running
To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
---------------------------
Wireless Profiles
- Vista:
- delete the wireless profiles
Start
control Panel
classic view
network and sharing center
manage wireless networks

Delete the profiles
you will then have to enter the wireless secruity key for any networks you connect to
--

- XP
- delete the preferred networks
start
control panel
network connections
right click on the wireless connection listed
wireless networks tab
in the preferred network list
click on each one and - remove button

you will then have to enter the wireless secruity key for any networks you connect to
------------------------
{ipconfig /all}
We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all

-> Start > run {search bar in Vista} > cmd > ipconfig /all
post back the results here
TWO Methods to do that - if you cannot access the internet with PC, then use method 2 to copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

Method ONE -------------------------------------------------------------
start > run {search bar in Vista} > cmd > ipconfig /all

rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Method TWO -------------------------------------------------------------

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

IPCONFIG /ALL >C:\RESULT.TXT

Open C:\RESULT.TXT with Notepad and copy/paste the entire results here.

------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-with-router-wired-connection-works-but-wireless-does-not.902265/
Relevancy 86%

For the past week I have had a wireless connection and a wired connection to my router, I cant connect to the internet. Also all of my roommates are able to connect to the internet. I have also tried the TCP/IP Repair stack options but that didnt work. Could anybody please help me out??

A:Have a Wired & Wireless Connection to Router but Cant Connect to Internet

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/have-a-wired-wireless-connection-to-router-but-cant-connect-to-internet.740945/
Relevancy 86%

Hello My router died and I have replaced it with another one A Netgear N Wired okay. get router. Cannot Solved: connections lan wireless LAN connection to WPN N I have cable modem connected to my router I can get the router working with the LAN connected PCs but I cannot get any wireless connections and I cannot see the wireless network in my list Solved: Cannot get wireless lan connection to router. Wired LAN connections okay. of wireless networks to connect to I need to get the wireless connections up and this is making me crazy Based on previous threads I have pasted my ipconfig information below Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Bill gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Bill-PC Primary Solved: Cannot get wireless lan connection to router. Wired LAN connections okay. Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific Solved: Cannot get wireless lan connection to router. Wired LAN connections okay. DNS Suffix Description Microsoft Virtual WiFi Miniport Adapter Physical Address - - D- - -FA DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Atheros AR a g n WiFi Adapter Physical Address - - D- - -FA DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Realtek RTL E RTL E Family PCI-E Fa st Ethernet NIC NDIS Physical Address - E- -EC-CF-DD DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe c f d a Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Lease Obtained Sunday August AM Lease Expires Monday August AM Default Gateway DHCP Server DHCPv IAID DHCPv Client DUID - - - - -A -A -F - - E- -EC-CF-DD DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Tunnel adapter isatap D E A- DDB- -A - DEFD Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address ef fd ff b f fefd Preferr ed Link-local IPv Address fe ff b f fefd Preferred Default Gateway NetBIOS over Tcpip Disabled Tunnel adapter isatap F BD - - FC-A - DADCBFEEE D Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter isatap C D- D- - B A-DE B A Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Microsoft ISATAP Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes C Users Bill gt C Users Bill gt nbsp

A:Solved: Cannot get wireless lan connection to router. Wired LAN connections okay.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-cannot-get-wireless-lan-connection-to-router-wired-lan-connections-okay.1106876/
Relevancy 85.57%

I have an Epson NX400 hooked up to my desktop computer. What I want to do is be able to print with this printer from my laptop. It is not wireless though. I have set up a network between the laptop and desktop. I am having difficulty linking my laptop to the printer. I get an error that says the printer server doesn't have a driver. I am wondering if I can set this up so when I want to print from my laptop, it can send the data to my desktop and then print?

A:Making a wired printer wireless over a network?

Here is a wizard way to enable file and printer sharing.

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro or Vista.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2 or SP3) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (up to 15 minutes) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/making-a-wired-printer-wireless-over-a-network.816681/
Relevancy 85.57%

Hi Everyone I have a HP Officejet A All-in-One Printer which is capable of connecting to the network but has no wireless function I connected it to my wireless router via RJ- and I want to acces it from my laptops via Wireless on the router At the moment the HP Software can t detect the printer on the network on the laptops and hence I can t use the scan functionality I can however use the XP s quot Add Printer quot function to add the printer and it prints perfectly Connect wireless wired all-in-one to printer network I have no issues on wired computers connected to the same router The HP software on those computers can Connect all-in-one wired printer to wireless network detect the printer and I can use all Connect all-in-one wired printer to wireless network of its functionality The laptops are windows XP and the two wired computers are XP and Win The printer and computers are all connected to the same wireless capable router I tried ping on the laptops and I din t get any timeout error The firewalls are all disabled Does anyone have a solution to this problem It is a brand new printer Thanks nbsp

A:Connect all-in-one wired printer to wireless network

this can be done - - WITH CARE.

First issue is to understand what your LAN looks like and what the DHCP range setting is;

get a command prompt (start->run->cmd)
enter IPCONFIG /ALL
the Gateway address will be that of your router; eg 192.168.x.y
assuming you've not changed the default settings,
the X will be different for the make of your router, but typically it is 0 or 1.
the y is almost always 1, but I've seen a few at 254.

To get your A-I-O on that network (and to keep it there), you need to make sure that
the address of the printer [ the y number ]
is not within the router's DHCP range.
Again with bold assumptions, if the router is at 192.168.0.1, then the DHCP range must be from 2 to xyz. I've also seen it from 100-150, so we need to access the router configuration using your browser.

please follow-up with the make and model number of your router so I can tailor the instructions for you ....

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/connect-all-in-one-wired-printer-to-wireless-network.165830/
Relevancy 85.14%

I have the following setup, which works fine:
Broadband cable comes in and connects to a cable modem. Connected to the cable modem is a wired router, which can accept 4 ethernet cables. I have 2 desktop computers connected to the router; 2 ports are vacant. These computers do not have wireless cards.

I also have a laptop, with a wireless card. I want to use the laptop throughout the house. I just inherited a D-Link DI-524 wireless router. Will the wireless router work if I connect it to one of the vacant ports on the wired router, rather than directly to the cable modem?

Relevancy 85.14%

I have a wired linksys router that works fine. I'm not using DHCP on it, its setup at 192.168.1.1. My pc which only has a wired NIC, connects with no problems.

I recently bought a tplink wireless router. I changed it so the ip is now 192.168.1.254 (it was 192.168.0.254 originally which meant I couldnt access settings to change from the default password, SSID).

I got the tplink wireless router, so I wouldnt have to be tethered with a wire on my laptop for internet. However, I've wasted time with tech support which I can barely hear or understand. I'd like to get this working, otherwise I'm sending everything back, wireless router and laptop.

I can ping both the linksys and tplink from my laptop with no problems. I can get connected to the tplink wireless router without a problem but I cannot get to the internet. I don't know what to do.

A:Connecting a Wireless Router to Wired Network

What you should have purchased is a dedicated wireless access point rather than another router because getting the configuration correct for a dual router set up can be a real pain. You could have also purchased a router with both wired and wireless access.

Even when set up correctly a dual router network can still be unreliable. The required settings might be different depending on which two routers are being used. If you can get the settings correct it may work though.

The link below explains the settings required to basically turn your wireless router into an access point. Let me know if the settings detailed in the link below work out for you.
Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point Wireless Networking Forum FAQ | DSLReports.com, ISP Information

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/228271-connecting-wireless-router-wired-network.html
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi everyone,

Right now I have 2 routers, wireless (192.168.1.1) one that is connected to internet and a normal wired (192.168.3.1) one connected to local network.

When I have the wirless connected with the wired one unplugged, I can gain access to the internet.

The minute I plug in the wired one to access the local network, the wireless one still shows connected but the internet connection is lost ONLY on my PC. Other people connected to the wireless can still connect to the internet no problem.

I am running on Windows Vista Business 32bit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

A:Wireless internet connection is lost when I connect to a wired router

Any ideas? Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-internet-connection-is-lost-when-i-connect-to-a-wired-router.670867/
Relevancy 84.71%

My network has 3 computers connected through lan cables to an IP switch that connects to the gateway. The gateway is running the latest m0n0wall -1.33. I just got and connected a wireless router to my network (4th lan position on the switch) - setting it up as an access point. As soon as the router turns on, the wireless devices connect but the WIRED comps lose connection. My wired comps are running Win XP sp2. The wireless devices are a laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit and an iPhone. Any advice?

A:Wireless router causing wired computers to lose connection.

Hi Tron and Welcome to SF,

Looks like the Gateway is also a router then you added a second router.

Might need to reconfigure the 2nd router, the Gateway's setting stays the same. Disable DHCP from the 2nd router and assign a Static IP Address to the second router with the same Subnet for ex. Gateway's IP is 192.168.1.1, you may assign a 192.168.1.2 Static IP to the second router.

See if that helps and let us know.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/158551-wireless-router-causing-wired-computers-lose-connection.html
Relevancy 84.71%

I'm trying to create a network where I can access the printer that is connected to the desktop from the laptop. Both computers have Windows 7, although the laptop has the Home edition. I've read various articles on how to use my wireless router that I use to access the internet from the laptop to create this network but I can't get to make them work.

I would appreciate any ideas and help getting this accomplished. Thanks

A:Trying to network a wired desktop, wireless laptop and printer

Hello,

Both the systems should be in same class Ip, then install network printer into your laptop.

Thanks
Rahman Khan
System Administrator

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trying-to-network-a-wired-desktop-wireless-laptop-and-printer.939625/
Relevancy 84.71%

Hi all,
My printer is connected to computerA which is connected through ethernet to computerB which connects to a wireless network. The wireless network has an internet connection and also serves several laptops, unfortunately the laptops cannot "see" computerA on the network and consequently cannot use the shared printer, the internet connection is available the on all computers. The one laptop runs windowXP and everything else uses windows7. ComputerB has no trouble using the printer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

A:Sharing printer through mixed wired/wireless network

Can you ping computerA from one of the laptops on the wireless connections.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/94005-sharing-printer-through-mixed-wired-wireless-network.html
Relevancy 84.28%

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to add a wireless add on to a 4 port cable/dsl gateway router so that I can access the internet on my laptop through wireless connection using my existing network setup (wired). It is a Belkin gateway router. Hope someone can advise. Thanks.

Ammo

A:Adding wireless network capability to wired router

You might check the company to see if they have an add-on but more than likely you have to buy a modem with a wireless gateway or go buy a wireless access point. What is the model of the modem?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/adding-wireless-network-capability-to-wired-router.54093/
Relevancy 84.28%

Can anyone tell me how to connect to my wired network from my wireless connection?

Relevancy 84.28%

I have a network of 4 computers at home, all connected to a modem and router...I will soon be introducing another computer (a laptop) and obviously with the portability I would prefer (with its built in wifi) to be able to go online anywhere in the house with the laptop...however I'd rather not have to fork out for a wireless access point when only the laptop will make use of it...

I have an idea, and would like to know if it is possible; could I add a usb to wifi converter to one of my existing computers, and then set the laptop up to connect to that computer as the gateway (which in turn connects to the router as the gateway)...is anything like this possible? or even just an rj45 - wifi converter or something lol

thanks for reading folks!

A:I would like to add a wireless connection to my wired network...Help if possible!

Yes.

Windows XP comes with a bridging feature meaning you can "bridge" two network connections.

So you set up an ad hoc wireless network on one of your desktops and bridge the wireless connection with the wired one. Then you can join the ad hoc network with the laptop and you will efectively be a part of the wired network too.

A tutorial here: http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/windows-xp-bridge-setup.asp

PS
A cheap access point would still be a much better solution..

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/i-would-like-to-add-a-wireless-connection-to-my-wired-network-help-if-possible.20192/
Relevancy 82.99%

Dear all I and both Lost network wireless wired connection. just joined this forum and with an urgent problem I have a laptop running win xp It was running fine this morning I then brought it to a Honda dealer The problem started there At first I got a strong wi-fi signal but not network connection I tried to repair by right clicking on wireless network icon on the lower-right corner The first time it seemed trying to do something but nothing helped The nd time Lost both wireless and wired network connection. when Lost both wireless and wired network connection. I tried to run repair the process hang and the machine could not be rebooted or shut off I have to hold the power key for a few seconds to turn it off Now I am at home using another computer to post this message which indicates my home lan and my router are working fine But my laptop still has no connections - neither wired or wireless A few screen shots are attached here for your review Many thanks in advance for the help nbsp

Relevancy 82.99%

I'm going nuts. My PC will not connect to my wired network, but it will connect to it wirelessly through an USB N adapter (I couldn't afford the downtime). This happened on another wired PC in my home about 5 months ago and I simply left that on the wireless connection but I would like the security of the wired for my main PC. A win 7 laptop plugged into the same outlet with the same cable works fine so I assume it has to be my NIC card, drivers or some setting. Where do I start?

A:Lost wired but not wireless connection to my network

Resetting your router would be the first course of action here. You will need to go back in to your routers set up page and make sure all the settings are correct after that or if you have a router configuration file handy it's easier.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/229236-lost-wired-but-not-wireless-connection-my-network.html
Relevancy 82.99%

Hello newbie member here Not too savvy with the computer please bear with me We have a home network with one laptop and one desktop PC Cable modem router Vonage phone and things seemed to be fine months ago we bought a wireless laser printer and installed it Since then our internet - both wired and wireless - is very inconsistent Page hangups are very common Sometimes but not always we can refresh and the page will come up This happens all the time for what seems like - seconds at a time Has made the Vonage phone unusable we can t use Checkpoint to access work computers we get kicked bad and network - wired wireless Solved: connection off can t download large files reliably We took out the printer literally we put it in the garage like Solved: wired and wireless network - bad connection it was possessed but no improvement Replaced the router Replaced the modem Took off our Vonage phone Turned off firewalls Cable company has Solved: wired and wireless network - bad connection repeatedly found nothing wrong with the delivery to the house Nothing has helped What s really strange to me is that this affects the wired laptop as well as the wireless desktop When one is down the other is down when one is working the other is working We re at our wits ends Any guidance that can be provided Solved: wired and wireless network - bad connection is much appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 82.13%

Hello I have a problem and it appears to have been for there for a while I have wired computers on my network and maybe - wireless computers that aren't always on I use computers one restart needs Network (wired and loses connection, wireless) laptop wireless and one desktop wired laptop XP desktop Vistax The laptop one day suddenly kept dropping connections to the net but a re-enabling of the network card would usually Network (wired and wireless) loses connection, needs restart solve the problem Then it would drop randomly again after that I thought it was something wrong with my computer so I reformatted it but the problem kept coming back But now I don't use that laptop much anymore so that doesn't worry me However I bought new tower desktop the wired one with high end specs i e Q bit processor and whatever else comes with a high end computer and this uses a wired connection to the router I've bought it for only month The ethernet cable is also new The router is a D-Link DI- - years already Less frequently this desktop also started disconnecting randomly but more of these disconnections occurred during the times I would use this to play online Warcraft games rather than me surfing the net and using MSN Messenger The difference here is that with the desktop I can't re-enable the ethernet card because in the Device manager the window crashes when I right click for the drop down window on my Network Adapters list This doesn't happen when the network is working The Networks and Sharing Center also takes ages to load and sometimes never loads just hangs Everything else in Windows works perfectly fine I am not sure if they are the same problem However one other laptop Windows vista met the same issue as the desktop It had the same crashes in the same places the network sharing centre would hang as well For the desktop and that other laptop only a reboot would solve the problem I don't know if it is because the Vista laptop accessed the networks using windows and if windows had an error then the connection couldn't be repaired However with my XP-laptop the network was managed by Intel Pro Wireless and the problem could be solved with a simple reenabling but would recur MORE FREQUENTLY I have yet to check the network IP status of the computers during a connection-down but pulling out the cable to my desktop does not solve the problem Neither does resetting the router What I do know is for my laptop and my desktop a disconnection on the laptop doesn't mean a disconnection on the desktop Vice versa I don't know as of yet The disconnections for the laptop seemed to start after I assigned WPA-TKIP keys to the network but an ethernet cable connection to the desktop means that the problem should be independent of the pass keys So the only filter for the network for my desktop is the MAC filter With the second desktop that I mentioned I have yet to see it disconnect or hear of other people complaining about disconnection maybe because I rarely use it Has anyone else experienced this problem I don't want to get a new router before knowing the problem because if it isn't the router then I would have used my money for nothing Thanks Edit ALL MY DRIVERS ARE UP TO DATE ACCORDING TO VISTA INCLUDING FIRMWARE FOR THE ROUTER OF WHICH NEW FIRMWARE IS UNAVAILABLE ON THE DLINK WEBSITE -dcde

A:Network (wired and wireless) loses connection, needs restart

Don't know if this may help...

I was losing connectivity and then found out my old cordless phone ( house phone ) was a 2.4 GHZ phone. that is the same freq as wireless-

I went into the router and changed the channel to 11

Now I never lose connection.

Carmine

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/221395-network-wired-wireless-loses-connection-needs-restart.html
Relevancy 81.27%

I ve got Vista Business set up on two machines I Vista? connection wired Trying a Solved: network a set wireless along to single in with up can get them to connect via my wired LAN that I ve setup here without any issues I m using a Linksys WRT GX that i just want to use for wired so I ve turned off the wireless for this On one of the computers I wish to be able to access Solved: Trying to set up a wired network along with a single wireless connection in Vista? the free wireless that is provided by my apartment complex but I wish to do that via my D-Link DWL-G Wireless USB adapter I can connect to the wireless network no problem as long as I m not also connected to my wired network As soon as I plug my ethernet cable from my machine with the wireless adapter into my wired network I lose my wireless connectivity I m sure Windows Vista allows for this type of setup I just can t figure out how to set it up Any ideas pointers etc I can obviously configure the wired network in any way I want but I m limited as far as the wireless goes as it is public I currently have the wired Solved: Trying to set up a wired network along with a single wireless connection in Vista? setup to private Solved: Trying to set up a wired network along with a single wireless connection in Vista? and as I said I have no problems connecting these two I just can t also have the one machine connect wirelessly at the same time Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Trying to set up a wired network along with a single wireless connection in Vista?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-trying-to-set-up-a-wired-network-along-with-a-single-wireless-connection-in-vista.635431/
Relevancy 80.84%

So I live in a dorm and all we have is WiFi wireless network a a bridge and router create Using to local there is no Ethernet ports My problem is that the network does not Using a wireless bridge and router to create a local network allow local communication Device gt Device and I have some device Chromecast Steam Streaming and etc that I would like to use but can t I have a Linksys WGA N Wireless gaming bridge and would like to use that to connect to a router I have a Dlink Xtreme Duo wireless N Bridge Router how can I go from the Linksys bridge to the Dlink Router I have tried a few different ways but i m not sure what I need to do to make the IP s work I know you have to make the bridge the gateway but im not sure how This is the Dlink router bridge http www dlink com us en home-sol dap- -xtreme-n-duo-wireless-n-access-point This is the gaming bridge http www tigerdirect com applications searchtools item-details asp EdpNo Extra notes Our school uses MAC Address filtering but we can register devices not sure if this is significant or not nbsp

A:Using a wireless bridge and router to create a local network

For a local network you can just use a router.

Check with the IT department to see if a wireless router or access point is permitted in the dorms.

Check with the IT department to see if they approve of your bridge/router idea, and for any help you need to connect the bridge to their network.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-a-wireless-bridge-and-router-to-create-a-local-network.1133954/
Relevancy 80.41%

So I m attempting to setup wireless network and internet on a brand new Dell laptop w Win XP SP and though I can see and quot connect quot to the router through all of the wireless software available through XP and the software that Dell Create Connection Wireless Network Cannot sent with the laptop No network connection can be established to actually make a connection to the very router signal that it can see Here are my ipconfig all results Windows IP Configuration Host Name AMBER Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Broadcast IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Realtek RTL E RTL E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC Physical Address - -E -FB- - B Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Description Dell Wireless WLAN Mini-Card Physical Address - A- - -DE- I ve tried to repair the connection but get this error I also tried using the Network wizard and noticed something odd My device manager shows that there is nothing immediately wrong with the Cannot Create Wireless Network Connection wireless card in the laptop no bold yellow quot quot or quot quot but the setup wizard indicated that the device is not connected see image I ve been trying different things for the past few hours but my idea bank has pretty much run dry nbsp

Relevancy 79.55%

i have a local area connection icon when i go into network connections--it was automatically set up with the laptop, and there used to be another icon i could click on to activate and select between detectable wi-fi's. This icon has mysteriously gone missing, does anyone know how to get it back?

I tried a wireless connection setup and it didn't work.

Relevancy 77.4%

I have a belkin wireless/wired router, and it's really starting to stress me out. I have the wireless part working just fine, all my wireless computers connect to each other/the internet just fine. BUT, my wired computer is not connecting to the internet at all, but the DHCP is still assigning it an IP address and the computer thinks everything is fine. When I click on Internet Explorer, it says that the page cannot be displayed. It's driving me mad, can anyone help?

Relevancy 76.97%

Hi there,

I've got a desktop with a wired connection to a cable broadband modem (with only one connection on it) and I'd like to have my laptop (which has a wireless card) to share that connection only wireless .... if you know what I mean... anyone tell me what I need to do to get that working? is it possible?

cheers,
Mark.

A:Get wireless laptop and wired desktop to share wired cable broadband connection?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/get-wireless-laptop-and-wired-desktop-to-share-wired-cable-broadband-connection.755169/
Relevancy 76.11%

I recently bought a Netgear Wireless N router although I haven t Can router use my Solved: I wireless & wireless wired point? as router access set it up yet One reason I chose it is that I was told it Solved: Can I use my wireless router as wired router & wireless access point? can be used as a wired network between our two desktop computers and as a wireless access point for the laptop But frankly I don t always trust what the sales people tell me I ve read on many sites that wired computers have some advantages over wireless including security and speed so I prefer a wired LAN for the main computers they are within feet of each other and will stay that way But I would like the convenience of going online via the wireless connection with my laptop in the other room I ve never done this before I always just had a wired connection between the desktops and didn t bother going online with Solved: Can I use my wireless router as wired router & wireless access point? the laptop and I need to know if this setup will cause any problems I should know about Please don t suggest I go wireless for the entire LAN -- I m just too set in my ways to make that leap right now If my planned setup won t work I ll stick with my current one and forget the laptop Barbara nbsp

A:Solved: Can I use my wireless router as wired router & wireless access point?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-can-i-use-my-wireless-router-as-wired-router-wireless-access-point.916324/
Relevancy 76.11%

Several years ago I got the directions on this site to alter a Linksys router so it could make a network printer wireless. Basically it converted that router into a printer server. I am switching routers since the old one has died and I have another router available. Can't remember what settings in the router needed altering though.

Relevancy 75.25%

Can anyone Connecting 2Wire 2701HG-B to AT&T Wireless Router a Printer Network help out Connecting a Network Printer to AT&T 2Wire 2701HG-B Wireless Router here because AT amp T is definately not I have a Minolta QMS printer network ready Connecting a Network Printer to AT&T 2Wire 2701HG-B Wireless Router and I am trying to get it to work with my network AT amp T supplied me with a HG-B Wire wireless router modem for the DSL service I follow the instructions in the printer manual for setting a IP Address in the printer I set it to I connect it to one of the ports on the back of the router I set up a new printer on my computer as recommended in several posts set it up as a local printer with an IP address the one above I can not print to it or even see it on the network AT amp T says that they only support DHCP and do not support static IP addresses and that is why the printer will not work and want to sell me static IP address for per month for Or I need to get a network printer that supports DHCP Has anyone been successful in installing a network printer on the HG-B nbsp

Relevancy 74.82%

I have previously set up a wireless printer on my network which contains three Pc's and the wirless printer. All was fine until today when, due to some connection issues and speed of network, I changed the name of my network router as well as the channel it is on. Since doing that the wireless printer will not print. Do I need to reinstall in or how can I get the printer to reconect to the new network?

A:wireless printer lost connection to network

You get it to connect to the new network the same way you got it to connect to the previous one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-printer-lost-connection-to-network.963349/
Relevancy 74.82%

My wireless network printer is connected to network during initial start and works great by all PC’s, but after inactivity for however long the printer is not recognized by the PC’s on the same network giving an error “Printer is not Online”. A print out of the “Network Connection Test” from the printer shows that it is connected to the correct network and has a valid IP address. The current work around is to restart the printer (Full Restart) in order for the PC’s to print. Or than any other solutions? Thanks!!!

Relevancy 74.82%

I had successfully set up a wireless printer and it has been working fine until today. I had to change the name of my wireless network as well as change the channel. Now the printer connection to the network has been lost. How do I regain it?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-printer-lost-connection-to-network.963348/
Relevancy 74.82%

I have an HP desktop running Windows XP Pro and I network to an HP notebook through a wireless router.

I recently purchased a Gateway Laptop with windows 7 Home Premium. It found my wireless router immediately and I was able to get on the net. It also found my HP desktop so I could share files.

The problem I am having is with my network printer. It is an older epson stylus photo r320. Epson says that windows 7 has a driver for this printer and if I plug the printer directly into the laptop using the usb connection wiindows 7 finds the printer no problem. If I try and have windows 7 locate the printer on the network it can't find it.

Has anyone had or solved this problem.

Beeper

A:wireless network printer connection problem

Silly Question but Have you Shared it on the XP Pro. Also XP Pro may not have the correct Drivers for the printer. Also go here Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Devices and Printers and see if its there, I just went there and a printer thats installed on a Laptop that is here for a few days Just turned up.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/184984-wireless-network-printer-connection-problem.html
Relevancy 74.82%

Currently have a Cisco Linksys EA3500 Smart Wi-Fi wireless router. Is there a possible way to prevent a computer or device to connect to the network, without making it obvious? Like to make it seem like there is an issue with the computer. Do not want to hide SSID, or block internet access. I've tried blocking internet access, but it displays on the computer that the internet has been blocked, which makes it obvious.

Relevancy 74.82%

I have a d-Link DWL-620 E DESKTOP CARD.
STRANGELY .. IT CONNECTS TO THE ROUTER ONLY IN THE ADMIN MODE AND ONLY FROM A PARTICULAR ADMIN ID ON MY XP DESKTOP .. DIMENSION DELL ....

I have created another Id ...limit account .. it finds the wireless connections .. but when it tries to connect .. it connects for a fraction of a second and starts searching for the avilable networks agains .. and it repeats this again and again ...

Please suggest .. how I can make it to connect to my preffered network from limit/admin acounts using that adapator ... please.. Thanks.

-Regards
Jha

A:Wireless network connection to router issue... reg ...

Are you using the D-Link wireless client or the Windows client? If you're not using the Windows WZC, you may need to disable it in services.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-network-connection-to-router-issue-reg.638129/
Relevancy 74.82%

I am running completely wireless now. I have a Linksys WRT54G router and about 5 computers connected to it wirelessly (G).

I have a printer that has a built in network card, and you can configure the IP address from the setup screen on the printer. (Xerox C2424)

I'm trying to link the printer up to the router, wirelessly. I have been told that you can use a USB Print Server, but that would not be necessary considering that I have a built-in network card already in the printer. I just purchased a DWL-G700AP D-Link Access Point to hook up to the printer, but I am unsure of how I should configure it. I am trying to link the printer wirelessly to the router, and sharing that to the people on my network.

Do you guys have any suggestions?

A:Network Capable Printer with Access Point link to Wireless Router? Is it possible?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-capable-printer-with-access-point-link-to-wireless-router-is-it-possible.435037/
Relevancy 73.96%

Whenever I change the password on my desktop, the wireless laptop can no longer print to the USB printer that's on the desktop PC. I have to delete the printer icon on the laptop and create a new one. Is this normal and expected or is there a way around this? I had the printer on a network server once but it quit working so I just plugged it back into the PC.

thanks...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-laptop-loses-network-printer-connection.994282/
Relevancy 73.96%

Hello I ve got a terrible problem with my new laptop running Vista -bit version and my network printer at work The printer is an old combo Konica Minolta di Unfortunately it s no longer supported and there are no drivers for the -bit Vista although I ve seen the -bit ones but don printer connection 64 Network wireless Vista problem via and t know if the work The printer is connected to the network by a printer router - D-Link DP- P And via this device s wireless the printer is connected to other computers at my workplace Network printer via wireless and Vista 64 connection problem When I had my old notebook running Win XP Pro there was no problem with connecting to the printer Everything was done automatically - the drivers were downloaded and configured and the printer was ready almost immediately But with my new notebook running Vista -bit something is very wrong I see my router in the Network connections And I am able to connect to it and browse to the printer icon But when I try to connect to the printer itself I get an error message quot Windows cannot connect to the printer Make sure that you have typed the name correctly and that the printer is connected to network quot Don t know what is the root of this problem The driver But I didn t even have a chance to select one It looks like it just can t connect to the printer Is there a way to get around this problem Even without the Vista -bit printer drivers We ve got a PC here that runs all the time on Win XP Maybe there is a way that I could connect to this PC and order my printing task via its Win XP Or is this just my fantasy that this kind of thing is possible I would be very grateful for all your tips and advice Thanks in advance and sorry for my English I m not a native speaker nbsp

A:Network printer via wireless and Vista 64 connection problem

Try the Vista32 driver

Hi Zyrreh

Personally I would try to install the 32 bit driver application. Microsoft say they support 32 bit applications as a fallback. And then I would create a Standard TCP/IP port to the printer. If it complains you could go into port properties and put it on LPR with portname "print", enable byte counting and disable SNMP bidirectional comunication.

The printer you have is a GDI which means it uses the computer to create the image. Unless you have the optional PCL controller. In that case you could use just about any PCL driver.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/network-printer-via-wireless-and-vista-64-connection-problem.125998/
Relevancy 73.96%

I have recently purchased a new laptop less than a week ago and since purchase I have had the same recurring problem Coincidentally my wireless router is brand new also and so it makes the situation even more difficult to to access? but no Connection router fine, network is wireless eradicate My laptop connects to the router wirelessly without a hitch however Connection to wireless router is fine, but no network access? every five minutes or so a small yellow exclaimation mark appears alongside the connection symbol and it says there is either No Internet Access or No Network Access despite the fact it is connected to the wireless and has a full strength connection However my brother s laptop connects and surfs the web seamlessly as well as the family desktop PC and various mobile devices I am reluctant to return the laptop back to the store please HELP Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium bit Processor AMD Athlon Connection to wireless router is fine, but no network access? tm II P Dual-Core Processor AMD Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card ATI Mobility Radeon HD Series Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB D Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard TOSHIBA PWWAE AB Antivirus Norton Updated and Enabled nbsp

Relevancy 73.96%

Hi-- I'm trying to set up a home network where files for file/printer router- sharing: Home laptops desktop-wireless network printer on my desktop can be shared over a wireless network Here's how it's set up Desktop is connected to the internet via usb CDMA which is my only internet Home network for file/printer sharing: desktop-wireless router- laptops connection All laptops at home connect to the internet through the desktop's CDMA internet connection via a Linksys Wireless Router there are no problems connecting to the internet simply 'sharing' the CDMA modem's connection to the local area network CDMA modem-desktop-wireless router via LAN -laptops wireless Now I've set up file and printer sharing on the desktop but since the router Home network for file/printer sharing: desktop-wireless router- laptops get an IP address from the desktop at the same time giving IP addresses to the wirelessly connected laptops I cannot 'see' the desktop computer from my laptop Now my question is Is there a way to make all the computers visible to each other using this setup the key is access to internet which is only possible via usb which is why I can't connect the router directly to the modem Any help on this will be greatly appreciated

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/home-network-for-file-printer-sharing-desktop-wireless-router-laptops-443153.html
Relevancy 73.53%

Hope this isn't confusing but, my internet provider (my cable company) came in to set up a wireless modem/router when we upped our internet speed today. We have three desktop computers which are hard wired to our existing Linksys router which we have been using previously. Would it be in our best interest to turn off the wireless function of that router (it's hooked up to the new modem/wireless router so the hardwired computers can function since the new unit has no ports to plug in the desktop computers into). Our wireless devices are all 'connected' to the new modem/router (using its passphrase and SSID). Can the wireless capabilities of each interfere with each other? They are sitting right next to each other.

A:Solved: Internet provider wireless modem/router and my hard wired router

It's confusing to me, but can make two comments ...

a. If you are not using the wireless network of a router it's best to disable or turn off the wireless--saves electricity and should extend the life of the router.

b. Two wireless networks whose channel numbers are less than five from each other can interfere. In North America if possible use channels 1, 6 and 11 to guarantee non interference.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-internet-provider-wireless-modem-router-and-my-hard-wired-router.1122336/
Relevancy 73.53%

Hello,

I have an 8 port "wired" router from Linksys that I have been using in conjunction to a wireless access point which had been plugged into one of the open ports on the wired router. Lately I have been having connection issues with the WAP so I decided it may be time to upgrade. Not thinking about it, I picked up a new Linksys E1000 wiress router (as opposed to a WAP) and, after a lengthy support call with Linksys, got that up and running.

So I have operability for both wired and wireless devices, however I have noticed a substantial slow down on my wired devices. I also just upped the plan with my ISP to increase my bandwidth which I see on the wired PCs but not on the wireless which seem less. Would a WAP be faster than a wireless router by nature?

Any ideas? Thanks in advance

A:Slow wireless after connecting Linkys wirless router to Linksys wired router

Have you made sure you have the latest firmware for the wireless router? If you updated the firmware be sure to reset it to factory default settings and reconfigure it.

What speeds do you get with a test such as speedtest.net with a connection to the wired router? With an ethernet connection to the wireless router? With a wireless connection?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/slow-wireless-after-connecting-linkys-wirless-router-to-linksys-wired-router.945424/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi-- I m trying to set up a home network where files printer on my desktop can be shared over a wireless network Here s how it s set up Desktop is connected to the internet via usb CDMA which is my only internet connection All laptops at home connect to the internet through the desktop s CDMA internet connection via a Linksys Solved: desktop-wireless network for file/printer sharing: Home laptops router- Wireless Router there are no problems connecting to the internet simply sharing the CDMA modem s connection to the local area network CDMA modem-desktop-wireless router via LAN -laptops wireless Now I ve set up file and printer sharing on the desktop but since the router get an IP address from the desktop at the same time giving IP addresses to the wirelessly connected laptops I cannot see the desktop computer from my laptop Now my question is Is there a way to make all the computers visible to each other using this setup the key is access Solved: Home network for file/printer sharing: desktop-wireless router- laptops to internet which is only possible via usb which is why I can t connect the router directly to the modem Any help on this will be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:Solved: Home network for file/printer sharing: desktop-wireless router- laptops

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-home-network-for-file-printer-sharing-desktop-wireless-router-laptops.887086/
Relevancy 73.1%

Hi I am having trouble creating a wired home network As per instructions I will give you all the details first My network configuration is My internet service provider is Etisalat in the United Arab Emirates They have provided me with a Huawei HG F Router The router has four LAN wires going to four different sockets in our home Currently we are using only two sockets Study Room Bedroom Both PCs have Windows Ultimate bit SP I just started the Debug Log on my Huawei Router so don't have much of a debug log for this router but this is what it shows as of now HuaweiLog txt When I open the router administration page I have the following screens When I try to get the network map on my study room a Network How ? do I create Home Wired PC it says no network devices detected I am attaching the ipconfig all file for my study room computer ipconfigstudyroom txt Also I am attaching the Network Connection Properties window from my study room PC Now How do I create a Wired Home Network ? I will details the status of devices in my bedroom a From the socket I have used a cable to connect to the internet port in my Belkin Router N b From the LAN port of the Belkin Router to my Bedroom PC The ipconfig all file from the Bedroom PC has these details ipconfigbedroom txt The Network Connection Properties has these details And the Network Connection Map is so I have done this so that the Belkin Router can give me WIFI access in rooms close to my bedroom The Belkin System Log is here BELKIN sys log txt The details of the Belkin Router N router admin access page are as follows Now what I have already tried I have tried creating a homegroup on one PC and trying to join on the other but it doesn't show the homegroup created by other PC I have simply tried to allow file sharing by going into the properties of certain folders and allowing sharing but those folder are not displayed on the network or on the other PC Also the both PCs are not detected by each other anyway so file sharing I knew was pointless I tried to go to BELKIN router access page from the StudyRoom PC by using its LAN Address this was to see if I can access that router through this PC but that didn't work either Finally what I would like to setup is a home network with file and printer sharing between both PC's through the wired network itself without using a wireless connection Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to be thorough and give you as many details as possible Thanks in advance

A:How do I create a Wired Home Network ?

Use your Huawei router as DHCP server. Then use your Belkin as an Access Point so that it acts as a switch for your wired clients. This way all of the devices should be able to see one another on the network as long as the network profile is set to "home". As for printer, you can use homegroup to share printer but the PC has to be on and fully connected to network to work.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/331811-how-do-i-create-wired-home-network.html
Relevancy 72.24%

First I would like to say hello to everyone in the community as this is my first post. I would like to set up Linksys wireless router(wrt160n) with a Dlink wired router(DLR-604),The wireless would be the host router and I would like to isolate the wired router from that network,to protect my main computer's(2computer's plus network printer) from from my children s and friend's machines I connect to the wireless or wired ports on the Linksys.Thanks in advance, any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated .Cheers

A:Solved: Connect wireless router and wired router

This should be pretty easy. Just connect the D-Link router's WAN port to one of the Linksys router's LAN ports. The computers connected to the D-Link router will be isolated from the Linksys connected computers by the D-Link router's NAT firewall.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-connect-wireless-router-and-wired-router.912641/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hey all I m trying Router to Solved: Connect Router Wired Wireless to connect my wireless router to my wired router Ideally I want the following internet-- gt A -- gt PCs B -- gt itouch ps laptops A Gnet External ADSL modem with -port switch bb note this is a modem wired router Solved: Connect Wireless Router to Wired Router B Trendnet Wireless router tew- gr All PCs have internet so i m sure my wired Solved: Connect Wireless Router to Wired Router router is working properly Using an ethernet cable I ve connected a Lan port in my Wireless router to a Lan port in my Wired router My itouch ps and laptops can connect to my wireless but I m not getting any internet I ve also been able to access my wireless settings and change a couple of things From what I ve read online In B I need to turn off the LAN DHCP and change my LAN IP Address I ve tried a couple of things but it still isn t working Also what should I set my WAN settings to in my wireless router Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Connect Wireless Router to Wired Router

Nvm fixed it somehow...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-connect-wireless-router-to-wired-router.901674/
Relevancy 72.24%

Hello and thank you

I have a Netgear FR114P Firewall router connected to my Cable Modem which connects to my computer in my home office.

I just bought my daughter a computer, her room is accross the way. I did not want to run an ethernet cable to her room, so I bought a Netgear Wireless Router.

My question is, what would I need to do to be able to keep my Firewall router hooked to my PC, then hook up the wireless router also so that my daughter can access the internet via the cable modem connection?

I have searched for Bridging methods, but am a little of a rookie when it comes to computer networking.

Thanks in advance for your help

Relevancy 72.24%

My small home network is connected to a Z100G Zone Alarm router via wires. This router has WiFi but I do not use it as it is not wireless N capable. I would like to have wireless N to stream movies to a wireless N BluRay player. I would like to keep the Z100G because of the firewall function.

Can I just connect a new wireless N router to the Z100G? If so, would it then be best to connect all the network computers to the new router either via wired or wireless?

Thanks...
Dennis

Relevancy 72.24%

Hi I'm new to Windows and this is my first post so go easy if this a silly question I currenly when wired create file disable wireless connect to you to .bat a work create a .bat file to disable wireless when you connect to wired in an IT department and have given this 'project' We have a number of users who have been given bit Windows laptops for remote home and office working I have been asked to create a batch file so that as soon as the user comes into the office they plug the laptop into the network and create a .bat file to disable wireless when you connect to wired it should use the wired connection automatically to access the corporate LAN As soon as they work away and create a .bat file to disable wireless when you connect to wired need to access the corporate network remotly they do not need to press the wireless button on the laptop when the laptop is switched and logged on i want the laptop to know that it is not on a wired network and for the wireless to kick in I have created two bat files - netsh interface set interface Wireless Network Connection Disable and netsh interface set interface Wireless Network Connection Enable these have been placed in task scheduler under create a basic task I have tried both of these in cmd prompt but they still don't work Can anyone please advise me Thank you TOSH

A:create a .bat file to disable wireless when you connect to wired

Many corporate laptops have included utilities from the OEM that do this automatically.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/207299-create-bat-file-disable-wireless-when-you-connect-wired.html
Relevancy 71.81%

I set up everything and if I have it wired it works fine but wireless it says can't find page when you try to get on the internet. I have set up networks before and never had a problem. first time I have used a Belkin router G+ I guess one of my question is this. I was reading on the Belkin site that it is already set for dynamic and that is for a cable modem and sounds like I should change it to pppoe for a DSL modem. would that make the difference. It is a brand new laptop and the wireless card is on and it sees the network and works when wired, it says it is connected wirelessly but wont get on the internet when not wired. Would the pppoe thing make a differnce? Please give me some help here. Thanks

Relevancy 71.38%

Hi,

My laptop can't connect to my router, everyone else can but mine just wont connect. It has connected to the internet through the router a couple of times but it will only last for a minute or so and then the connection would be lost.

I have a windows XP laptop, my router is a Netgear Wireless-G Router WGR614 v9, and is connected to a modem.

My wireless card detects the connection but it just can't connect to it. When I tried to set up the router using the provided installation CD, it detected said that the modem wasn't being detected.

I appreciate any help I can get on this!

A:Laptop can't connect to wireless router (hard-wired or wireless neither)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-cant-connect-to-wireless-router-hard-wired-or-wireless-neither.897535/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hey guys I m Connecting a router? wired router a wireless to a bit of a networking noob so I m wondering if this setup I have will work in getting all my computers to share our home internet Basically my current setup in my basement this ethernet cable modem V V Wired DLink Router---------- gt main desktop nd desktop Pretty standard But now we want a laptop and another desktop on our top floor because someone else moved in LUCKILY before we finished the basement I had another ethernet cable going from the router to Connecting a wireless router to a wired router? the Wii on the main floor We don t play that anymore so I was wondering if it was possible to buy a wireless router for the main floor connect it wired to the basement router and than use it wirelessly so that it extends to the top floor Meanwhile the router in the basement still connects to the two computers It d look like this basement floor modem V V Wired router---------- gt main desktop nd desktop V V Main floor ground floor wireless router V V second floor wirelessly connect to----- gt laptop rd desktop will have to install pci card so yeah does it work that way nbsp

Relevancy 70.95%

Hello, I was wondering if it was possible to set up a wireless router along with a regular wired router. What I'm trying to do here is make it so that my wired router connects with the modem and the wireless router connects with the regular router. So, it's like a router ontop of a router. The reason I want to do this, is because I want to set up a network where all the computers with the exception of one, are wired. Then just have that one computer go off of the wireless router. If I can't do this (Which I'm sure I most definitely cannot.), then can I get a network hub and have the modem and the two routers connected to that hub? Thanks for reading this,

Tyler

A:Wired Router and a Wireless Router Working Together?

Yes, this is standard practice, and every router company I know has installation in their downloadable user guide.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wired-router-and-a-wireless-router-working-together.97044/
Relevancy 70.95%

There is an argument in the family and the Router Wired Router versus Wireless disagreement is about the security of a wireless router and the ability for someone to hack through it My stepdad refuses to go with a wireless setup because he is afraid that someone will hack in and steal Wireless Router versus Wired Router everything We are trying to convince him that it is much safer since the wireless router would be password protected and the wired router isn t He doesn t even want to listen or entertain the thought Wireless Router versus Wired Router Currently they run a wired router off of telephone company dsl to computers and an XBOX If the wireless is as safe or safer the benefits are greater for laptop connectivity and relocation of workstations The downfall of course is another piece of equipment that can fail I ran a wireless connection at my home and I loved it Does anyone have any insight as to whether it would be safer with a wireless router or if security issues are the same I am aware most security comes from within the computer Seeing as I am trying to learn more about this stuff any info is great THANKS nbsp

A:Wireless Router versus Wired Router

If you use WPA or WPA2 with a strong random key, wireless is quite secure.

Your other point is bogus, a wired router or a wireless router has the same security as far as incoming threats are concerned. There is no additional security gained by having the wireless channels encrypted, it just prevents people from "tapping into the wire".

You will never be "safer" with a wireless router, but you can be as safe as with a wired only one.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-router-versus-wired-router.793379/
Relevancy 70.95%

I'm currently connected to the internet via a Linksys router that is wired only.What i need to know is what is the best wireless router available at this time that i can get to replace my current wired router based on your own experiences with wireless.There are two computers and an xbox 360 on my network.Thanks for your assistance!

A:Best wireless router to replace my wired router

Quote: Originally Posted by Dsmith148

I'm currently connected to the internet via a Linksys router that is wired only.What i need to know is what is the best wireless router available at this time that i can get to replace my current wired router based on your own experiences with wireless.There are two computers and an xbox 360 on my network.Thanks for your assistance!

Hi and welcome

Stick with linksys either G, or N. I have had nightmares with netgear,dlink, etc

Ken J+

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/46634-best-wireless-router-replace-my-wired-router.html
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi all My Netopia Router from SBC just crapped out on me early last week So I decided to buy a router from a local electronics store I already had a SpeedStream Modem but I have multiple PCs in the house Router a Connecting to Wired Router Wireless a so I need to route the connection to other PCs Anywho I went to the store today and picked up a Linksys DSL Cable Router Wired with port switch BEFSR I hooked it up followed the CD Wizard and plugged in the PCs on this level I have Levels in my house The PCs on this level worked Now I have a D-Link wireless router since there are wireless notebooks PCs upstairs Before I had the Linksys I just plugged that router into my Netopia and it worked fine Now when I plugged it into this new Linksys router it doesn t work What am I doing wrong All PCs are running Win XP if that makes a difference Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Connecting a Wireless Router to a Wired Router

Connecting two SOHO broadband routers together.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/connecting-a-wireless-router-to-a-wired-router.390579/
Relevancy 70.95%

Hi All,

Just got myself a wireless router and I'm having problems setting this up as wired. I going to be running my PC and PS3 from the router (already getting help in another forum regarding the PS3 side of things) but would rather have the systems connected with cable rather than wireless.

The router I bought is a TP-Link 54M Wireless Router (model No. TL-WR340G if that's any help).

I'm having problems setting this up as wired to my PC as there seems to be no instructions regarding this option (or no way to enable/disable).

Should I go though the installation process of setting this up as wireless first then just connect the router with cable afterwards?

Hope you can help.

Cheers,

C h r e d g e.

A:Setting up a wireless router as a wired router

Just connect the cables correctly, and everything should connect without any configuring.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/setting-up-a-wireless-router-as-a-wired-router.721509/
Relevancy 70.95%

I've been trying to figure out how to run a wireless router connected to a wired router for the past few days with no success thus far. I have searched the forums and nothing has helped thus far. Here is a diagram of what I'm trying to achieve:

img124.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img124&image=network2ql.jpg

EDIT: Since im not allowed to post links you must drag the link into the address bar and press enter to view the picture. It's hosted through imageshack.

A:Linking wireless router to wired router help

Does no one know how to fix this?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/linking-wireless-router-to-wired-router-help.20002/
Relevancy 70.52%

So i have a Linksys WRT110 when connected to it both wireless and wired i get "local only" both times. can anyone help me out?

A:Connected to Wireless router both wireless and wired no internet

Hi -

Is the system new?
Do you have an Internet Security app installed, e.g., NIS, N360, KIS, McAfee, etc. . .?

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/connected-to-wireless-router-both-wireless-and-wired-no-internet-496598.html
Relevancy 70.09%

Hi I have windows Pro installed I have a DSL connection that requires a username and password I have read connection sharing internet as connection Solved: wireless Help wired a with the tutorials for setting up ICS in windows but it is not working for me In my change adapter settings page I have connections LAN Wireless and M this is the dial-up for the username and password Here s what I have done I have Solved: Help with sharing wired internet connection as a wireless connection enabled ICS for M and created an ad-hoc wireless connection called M network I basically want to share my wired connection with my iPhone Everything is ok as far as connecting my iPhone to M network but when I try to use the internet all i get is a connecting message on my phone and it doesnt go any further I have used this network before to connect air mouse on my phone that lets me use my phone as a touchpad It still works fine that way but I cant use internet I have even tried enabling the ICS on LAN instead but got the same results Am I doing something wrong nbsp

A:Solved: Help with sharing wired internet connection as a wireless connection

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-help-with-sharing-wired-internet-connection-as-a-wireless-connection.884605/
Relevancy 69.66%

I am in need of a new printer seeing as our HP OfficeJet K printer? Am a getting or off I better wired wireless had to put down its impressive year struggle of being a surprisingly long-lasting machine Going back into this market makes me want to be particularly careful because in my opinion printer problems can only be an utter nightmare They are God-forsaken demons that no human being should have Am I better off getting a wired or wireless printer? to torment with My main concern now is well networking There are plenty of Am I better off getting a wired or wireless printer? nifty things printers can do these days but I need to be sure I have a printer which can be networked reliably My current setup desktop laptops all running Windows some some bit I need to be able to network the printer to all PCs My first set of initial questions are Let's assume I have a printer that only has Am I better off getting a wired or wireless printer? wired connections Ethernet port available Are there ways for me to avoid using Windows Workgroup to share this printer Shouldn't I be able to connect this printer right into my router using an Ethernet cable and all my PCs should be able to connect to it wirelessly Are there ways of doing this without using a print server What are the advantages of having a wireless printer as opposed to a wired printer Let's assume that I get a wired printer to work as proposed in my first question What features would the wireless printer have that the wired printer would not Any help for these questions would be greatly appreciated

A:Am I better off getting a wired or wireless printer?

I've gone with a combo of both wired and wireless. Our household has two desktops and three laptops and I run a wired set up for my desktop and laptop while on my desk via a usb switch but the other desktop and all laptops can print scan and work wirelessly with no loss of features or speed.
http://biz.tigerdirect.com/applicati...54395&CatId=21
This is my new HP printer and it's outstanding and expandable. Wired or wireless and regularly sold for 169.00 - 175.00 its a great value and highly recommended.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/247087-am-i-better-off-getting-wired-wireless-printer.html
Relevancy 69.66%

I am now running a 2 router setup, 1 wireless and 1 wired both linksys. They are a bit older and I need to upgrade my wireless because it does not give a strong signal and my laptop internet is slow. If I buy a new wireless N linksys will I be able to run my same set up? Or if someone can help me advise me what to do?

A:Wireless/Wired router

Yes it will work, just run the Linksys setup and connect it like you had the old one connected

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/wireless-wired-router.129542/
Relevancy 69.66%

We presently have (2) users off the present router. There will be a 3rd joining.
Attempting to get the straight story on whether:

- Are Wireless routers as secure as wired routers. Like from malicious software routines, or any other methods of breaching the system.

- Are there ways of breaching the connection besides by being within so many feet of the router itself while having access to the assigned username/password ?

- Any one including visitors using the WiFi connection must be given the username/password, right?

- The pc's must be equipped for WiFi compatibility, right? Or else plug in a usb device to make it do so?

- Speed: presently we are using a linksys router -- ethernet cable/dsl router. model BEFSR41.
How might a router like the new Netgear R6300 compare? In terms of speed and security.

A:wireless vs wired router

They can be secure, depends on the security methods used.

Possible, but not likely. Of course it all depends on the type of data that you are really trying to protect. No real reason for anyone to expend a lot of time trying to hack into a secure network just to get internet access.

You can provide visitors complete access via l/p, limited access via l/p, or limited access without login. All depends on how you want to provide access.

Any PC will need a NIC and cable for wired access, or a wireless NIC for wifi access.

Wired will always be faster, regardless of router. There are some speed differences(for wifi) between router brands/models and even between the same model with different firmware versions. For the most part, it's a non issue.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-vs-wired-router.1067867/
Relevancy 69.66%

I have been trying to figure this out for months I have neighbors appearing on Connection Hacked? No - Router Wired my Win Home No Router - Wired Connection Hacked? Computer I have NO ROUTER and NO WIFI yet they are appearing as other devices in my network Their PC s and media sharing devices appear over and over and slow my connection completely to the point of my browser crashing sometimes I have tried different firewalls but nothing seems to work except using PeerBlock and monitoring the IP addresses and individually blocking them watching the neighbor disappear only to reappear seconds later with a new IP address Even Belarc Advisor lists about - IP addresses as mine when they arent No Router - Wired Connection Hacked? and my IP isnt listed at all I have a simple Clearwire modem without wireless capability and no wireless internally on my PC no way to transmit signal I disabled Home Group and that seems to have helped but I see them still trying to ping me or something on PeerBlock They are completely relentless and Clearwire Technicians couldn t even figure it out except to mention they got my mac address and are somehow using that to connect HELP PLEASE pulls hair out Who ever can help me fix this I owe you a world of gratitude Copied from Belarc Physical Address A BF Physical Address E E A Physical Address F E F System Dell Physical Address CA BD FC Network Device Netgear System Gateway Network Device Cisco Linksys System Apple Network Device Cisco Linksys Network Device Netgear Physical Address D C Physical Address C A Physical Address E F Web Server Network Device Cisco Linksys Network Device Cisco Linksys Physical Address C AE F E Network Device Cisco Linksys Physical Address D B Network Device Cisco Linksys Network Device Cisco Linksys Physical Address E EC FE F Network Device Cisco Linksys System Asustek Physical Address E A Network Device Cisco Linksys Network Device Cisco Linksys Network Device Netgear Network Device Cisco Linksys Physical Address C C C E Network Device Cisco Linksys Network Device Cisco Linksys Network Device Cisco Linksys Physical Address D FC Physical Address BC EB System Dell Network Device Belkin System Asustek Network Device Cisco Linksys Physical Address AF D Physical Address B EC C Network Device Netgear Physical Address F B B BF D Physical Address FC A Network Device Cisco Linksys System Asustek Physical Address A C EF Network Device Netgear Network Device Cisco Linksys Physical Address A D BA Network Device Cisco Linksys xxx Windows Workstation Appleseed in WORKGROUP Samba Server System Asustek Physical Address F B A D Physical Address AD Network Device Cisco Linksys System Asustek Network Device Cisco Linksys Physical Address E CB Network Device Linksys Physical Address B CE C DC System Dell System Dell Physical Address E E C Physical Address A F D Physical Address E CB A Network Device Netgear Physical Address C C B System Asustek Network Device Cisco Linksys System Dell Physical Address E B Network Device Cisco Linksys System Asustek Network Device Cisco Linksys Network Device Cisco Linksys Network Device Cisco Linksys Physical Address C E B E System Dell The only thing on there that s related to me is xxx Windows Workstation Appleseed in WORKGROUP

A:No Router - Wired Connection Hacked?

Are you sure you do not have wireless? I see no other way that they could be connected to your network.

What is the make and model of your various routers/modems? How are you connected to the internet?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/393405/no-router-wired-connection-hacked/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hey everyone I'm having a problem and I hope you can help.

I'm trying to connect my Computer to a router, Netgear 802.11G, through a wired connection at first, then I need to connect a second computer wirelessly.

I've done this before on another computer with a different type of router and DSL modem.

Modem--ethernet->Computer, directly, works, but when I: Modem--ethernet->Router<-->Computer, I cannot connect.

I have all drivers installed, connections enabled, and wires snugly plugged and working; (I've tested them).

Anyone with some insight?

A:Router, wired connection problems

"cannot connect" means what?!

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/router-wired-connection-problems.63211/
Relevancy 69.66%

Hey guys, wondering if anyone can help me with an issue in having. I have a Netgear wireless router (can't remember model, CGD or CGN something I think) and I'd like to set up a wired connection, the PC is right next to the router/modem and I'd enjoy having the slightly better download speeds with wired however, just plugging in an ethernet cable does nothing (surprise surprise). When I first tried I got Error 651, by fixing up the drivers with a Vista one I got past that but now I'm getting Error 797, I'm stuck here, I have no idea what to do. Any help?

A:Can I use a Netgear router for a wired connection?

Try to access the routers setting page over the wireless, usually for netgear its 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1, and log in using your user and password given to you. Some routers (especically Netgear) will disable ethernet ports unless you specify otherwise for whatever reason. Ususally there is a setting in the router control panel to enable them. Wish you luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/can-i-use-a-netgear-router-for-a-wired-connection.179674/
Relevancy 69.23%

Using this site- http://www.speedtest.net/- my wired machines a extremely faster than my wireless ones. Are there settings that have to be configured?

thanks

Relevancy 69.23%

hello
when i connect my hp probook 4520s to my sony vpcyb4ajg with Ethernet cable on my Hp wireless disconnects and can not be connected until i disconnect lan cable. but on my sony i have both wired and wireless connections simultaneously
hp:Windows 8 x64 realteck Ethernet and atheros wireless
sony: win 7 x86 atheros Ethernet atheros wireless

A:[SOLVED] wired connection prevents wireless connection

Moved to networking for further assistance please follow the instructions here Pre-posting Requirements - for both Wired and Wireless Connectivity Issues

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/solved-wired-connection-prevents-wireless-connection-694569.html
Relevancy 68.8%

My parents have a pc wired to a Verizon FIOS router. The router also has wireless capabilities and my mom has her laptop connected and is having no trouble getting wireless internet. Both computers are running XP. The desktop is a Compaq Presario SR1500NX and the laptop is a Dell Inspiron 9300. The desktop is wired to an HP LaserHet P1006 and my mom would like to be able to print from her laptop to the printer wirelessly. Right now, it will work if we plug the laptop into the ethernet but not when the laptop is connected wirelessly. The desktop computer does not show up when I go to add printerand try to find the printer by browsing. Do you have any suggestions? Is it possible for the wired and wireless computers to share the network? Right now it seems like they cannot see each other when one is wired and one is wireless.

A:Using a printer wired to a pc on a wireless computer

I don't understand this issue. If printer sharing works running with a wired connection, there should be no difference using a wireless connection to the same router.

FWIW, I have Verizon FiOS and the Actiontec MI424WR router, and I have no problems with wired and wireless computers sharing printers here.

Are you SURE that the wireless connection isn't to a different network, perhaps a neighbor's connection?
Let's see this for the problem laptop with a wired connection, then again with a wireless connection.
Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD to open a command prompt:

In the command prompt window that opens, type type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter to copy the contents to the clipboard.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/using-a-printer-wired-to-a-pc-on-a-wireless-computer.868117/
Relevancy 68.8%

Thinking of a Samsung CLP 325W wireless laser printer. Is it wireless AND network/wired (has a Ethernet port) or is it wireless OR network/wired?
Thanks

A:Can Wireless printer also work wired?

http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consum...dex.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-wireless-printer-also-work-wired.1006518/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi I am having difficulty networking computers and getting them to access the internet i have the default computer set as automatically configue ip and dns and it has connected with ip and as the subnet mask the default gateway is though a us robitcs router and i can ping the default gateway fine and i can fully connect to the internet through this pc without any problems however when i go to the nd computer that i want to network i cant ping the default gateway and i Network Router Wired via Help have obtain ip address automatically and dns server automatically however it cant retrieve an ip address and just Wired Network via Router Help comes up with an error and therefore i am unable to connect to the internet i have tried lots of different ips and nothing seems to work at all i disabled all firewalls and anti virus too i cant seem to get computer to connect to this one i am gaining internet access with now Can anyone help Simple answers only too nbsp

Relevancy 68.8%

Ok, I have a router that I have been using for a long time and was wondering if it is possible to connect a wireless router to the wired router and then have the wireless router set as a gateway so that my computer can pick up the wireless signal, which is using a wireless network card.

Anyone mind telling me if this would work and how I could accomplish this task. I have one into my router before and was asked to change to a router and gateway before but is it any diffrent telling a second router to do this because it is connected to the wired router.

If you need further explanation please ask. Thank you very much.

Specs if it is of any need.
Wired router - just a typical wired router
Wireless Router- Trendnet wireless router

A:Making a wired router wireless

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/making-a-wired-router-wireless.794773/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hello from Need router. wireless. to Switching wired I need to switch from a wired network to a wireless network Santa is bringing a new laptop I guess the best way is to change routers Not sure what to go with I would appreciate recommendations on a reliable model I currently have Switching from wired to wireless. Need router. desktops PS and a TV on the wired network Ive looked at and read the reviews on a Linksys-Newegg com - LINKSYS E Wireless Router simultaneous Dual Band Gigabit a b g n Switching from wired to wireless. Need router. GHz GHz up to Mbps with USB Built-in UPnP AV Media Server and an Asus-Newegg com - ASUS RT-N Wireless Router b g n up to Mbps DD-WRT Open Source support with USB Storage Printer And Media Server For the most part the reviews are good but there a bunch of bad ones Just wondering if any one brand is considered more reliable than the others I don't know anything about open source firmware Its mentioned quite a bit in the reviews This is what I think I need Gigabit speed N support and under Any other specs I need to check out Thanks

A:Switching from wired to wireless. Need router.

My honest suggestion based on my own experience is trendnet or belkin.
I've had horrible experience with both dlink and linksys.
They all seem to die within a year and a half.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/199453-switching-wired-wireless-need-router.html
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi all
I am going to fit a modem router to my PC in the hope to gain more speed and a more secure connection
My telephone exchange is only 1/2 mile from my home and the copper wiring is only a few years old,I have a professionally fitted extension from my telephone connection box to my PC room.At present I have a Speedtouch USB ADSL modem.I have no intension of attaching anymore PC to my network of one.Would I get a better result with a wireless modem router or a wired one.
Best regards
Rex

Relevancy 68.8%

I already had a dlink wired router setup and four systems running great for some time. now I plan on adding more to the system, precisely a wireless dlink.

I have heard that i should disable DHCp in the second router. I did and here are a few questions:
1a. Do I set a static dhcp?
1b.If so what ?

2.Under lan settings on router 2 what would be a good ip address, subnet mask ?

Relevancy 68.8%

Is there anything on the market that i can plug into my wired router to send a wireless signal?

Relevancy 68.8%

I have a qwest modem to my desktop computer with windows XP, I was given a used microsoft MN500 wireless router. I would like to hook up the wireless in place of my wired router so i can use my wii for streaming purposes with netflix. Can someone explain in an easy but detailed way on how to do this - I don't want to say I'm "computer illiterate" but I'm not very experienced either. (don't need help with the wii stuff just the exchanging of the routers) Thank you!

A:Changing from wired to wireless router

Hi:
Do you have the user's/setup manual.If not hardcopy it should be on the cd,that hopefully came with the router.
If not,it can be downloaded.I have skimmed it on line and appears to be pretty complete.
First thing I would do is log onto your existing router and write down all the config settings(ipaddress/ppoe settings if there etc)so that you can configure the new modem in a similar method.
The main differences would be selecting a wireless channel(1/6/11)in US and encryption method.I might go with wpa and see if that works for you
And enabling ssid broadcasting.
Here is a link to a Microsoft tutorial on manually setting up this router/ap.
Hope it helps
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331950
Here is a link that goes into some detail about manually configuring this router

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/changing-from-wired-to-wireless-router.927500/
Relevancy 68.8%

Hi All,
I have a odd question.
I just got a Airlink101 wireless 4 port router (AR325W). $15.00 at fry's. Great buy, and had to get it.
I want to just use the wired setup. Not the wireless.
How do I turn off the wireless part. I do not want to use it yet, and I do not want anyone else to use my connection over the air. My home computers are already set up in a wired network. This is my first router, so I'm a bit unused to router jargin. I did a quick scan of the complete manual, and saw how to set up the wired and wireless part, but nothing about turning it off the wireless. Maybe it is as simple as not connecting the antenna. I don't know. Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks in advance for you response
KLund1

Relevancy 68.8%

Good Day,

Here's my set up so far: Cox Broadband, Surf Modem, Gizmo for Sunrocket PC phone, then Linksys (BEFSR41) 4 port wired router that I'm using for my home network. I have 2 desktops and a notebook attached to it, so I have one port open and everything is up and running.

Now my roommate wants to add a new wireless Acer notebook which came with a Netgear (WGR614) wireless router.

Can someone one plz explain in *semi-laypersons terms how to incorporate the wireless into this system? Or possibly point me towards the necessary books or articles.

Thanks ever so.

Relevancy 68.8%

I have two computers one running Windows Vista and one Using Windows XP my wife is getting a laptop for mother s day and I want to integrate it into my network so she can access internet and do email I purchased a linksys WRT G Wired/Wireless setup and Router use wireless Wired/Wireless Router setup and use wired Wired/Wireless Router setup and use router I installed it on my primary computer the Windows Vista Computer and set up a network sharing files and printers with the other wired computer This activity works just like the previous network I had with my old linksys wired only routher I can share printers and files and access the internet through my ISP provider with no problems Now comes the question When I downloaded the information from my primary computer the Windows Vista computer to a flash drive under the options provided for in Settting up a wireless network the name of the SSID was changed from what I originally used when I set up the network and the security features were also different than what I originally used It was my impression from the User s guide for this device that I was to set up the network on the primary computer and then download the data to a fashdrive to transfer to the laptop using the flashdrive option in the networking setup software on the Home prime computer I thought that the data I used to set up the orignal network especially the SSID would be the same for all computers Specifically How to I add a laptop to my existing network so that it will work with my home net I need kind of step by step instructions because I have never done laptops before and I don t want mother s day to be a dissapointment because quot it don t work quot Thanks for help from anyone that has doe this and made it work Colapapa nbsp