Windows Support Forum

A network for home? Which one?

Q: A network for home? Which one?

Hey guys,

I had a quick question about a network at home.

My house is 15m tall and 9m wide, I want to network 3 computers (mine, wife, son).

Should I wire the house with Ethernet cat 5e cable and put a 100 base T switch?
Or
Just put a Wi-Fi access point and Wi Fi cards for the 3 computers.

I prefer wireless, but I?ve heard Ethernet would have slightly faster speeds due to less aerial interference.

Suggestions? Solutions? Thank you!

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: A network for home? Which one?

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: A network for home? Which one?

First of all... don't put a 100 base T switch anywhere but the backup bin. If you're going to bother wiring anything put in GbE as it's inexpensive now. Also, if you're going to bother with any wiring then I'd put in the best/fastest type I could find to future proof it as much as possible. Fishing cable isn't something you want to repeat in a couple of years.

To more directly answer your question, Wi-Fi will probably be fine for you depending on the distance from your WAP (wireless access point) and what your walls are made of. You'll also need to keep in mind any other Wi-Fi interference so the distance to your neighbors can have an affect. All that being said any modern WAP will be faster than a 100 base T switch under normal conditions when it comes to throughput (how much data you can move) - but worse when it comes to latency (how long a specific bit of data takes to get from one point to another). If you're playing games you'll want low latency. If you're just streaming content or moving files around then you just want throughput.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/a-network-for-home-which-one.213242/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi All Problem is the Vista Machine connecting to the shared HPG xi AIO on the network I am working on installing a Vista Home Premium Gateway PC on an existing network that consists of a Solved: Printer Vista Home Network Network Home Issues, XP machine two XP home PC s and an XP home laptop With the exception of the laptop all PC s are Solved: Vista Home Network Printer Issues, XP Home Network connected via ethernet cabling to a Linksys WRT G sharing cable internet access One of the XP home machines and the are connected to a Dlink switch which is wired to the Linksys router This XP home machine has the HP connected locally and shared All PC s have printer and file sharing enabled All PC s are in the same workgroup all PC s can see and share files bidirectionally Including the Vista machine All PC s with the exception of the Vista machine can connect and print to the HP When you try to connect the Vista to the HP and it doesn t matter how using Network and connect using Printers to add a printer using add a Printer to set up a new network printer and entering the path whatever the error message is quot Access is Denied quot before you can even install the drivers I used my IBM laptop running XP Pro to serve the HP via the USB connection same as how the XP Home PC is doing it the Vista can connect and print no problem so it would seem there is an issue with the access rights in the XP Home PC sharing the HP I also tested the Vista PC on another network that runs XP Pro and it connected and printed with NO issues I tried using the machine at the same location but connected to the same switch to serve the HP I get the same result as with the XP Home serving it with the exception of the error message It says cannot complete connection error some hex number Is there a way to configure the access right s to XP Home for the Vista to connect to the HP Or am I barking up the wrong tree Help please nbsp

Relevancy 47.3%

Situation- month old Dell XPS Win bit Pro as main computer connected by Wired Adapter Upgraded Gateway E also running Win bit pro as says set network no join home can't but network 7 Win homegroup, Home second connected by Wireless Both running Kapersky successfully no network problems for mo Both were successfully linked using homegroup Had to take Gateway to a remote location to do a business demo While there had to link to a local public WiFi While connecting made mistake and left homegroup When Gateway returned to homebase a Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network few days later it was fine had no problems finding wireless but could not see or rejoin Dell machine homegroup It would let me set Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network up a new homegroup Went to Dell box and found homegroup no longer existed router and network and wireless printing no longer found - Red X on the taskbar even though internet was still working fine Took nearly a week of trying differernt fixes on adapter- off adapter- different adapter reboot network router even updated router firmware Yes I went through every ipconfig reset renew redecorate etc I've used netsh functions to try Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network to get evrything to reset Changes services msc settings per other posts Finally in desperation deleted every sub key in the registry related to network locational awareness and got the Dell to find the network let me set it up as a quot home quot network and then even see the invitation to join the Gateway's homegroup Then I hit a wall- when I try to join- Win says I can't join the homegroup because the network is not a quot home network quot Of course troubleshooting is useless and goes into an endless loop Have searched in desperation for any way to make Win return to a clean slate so it can sense that it really is on a home network without success Applied the fix-it and hotpatch for when Win gets stuck in public mode No joy Deleted the hide wizard subkey as suggested elsewhere No Joy Gut feeling says problem must lie in the NLA or peer networking somewhere but where Does anyone know of a method or set of steps short of a clean reinstall of Win to completely clear every thing the OS knows about my network and force it to acknowlege my network is a home network Is there a registry hack that will clear the problem I know I could abandon the homegroup and do conventional file print share but I am concerned that using that solution won't last as whatever is screwing up the homegroup could eventually screw regular sharing and then I'm back to reformating reinstalling I'm just about ready to join the Apple folks so I never have to work on Windows again Help

A:Home network set but Win 7 says can't join homegroup, no home network

Just a thought - if running Kaspersky Internet Security (with inbuilt firewall) check that your Internet connection in the settings is set to Home or Private Network vs Public.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/257334-home-network-set-but-win-7-says-cant-join-homegroup-no-home-network.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I did not set up my pc's to share over my home wireless network, but suddenly today I see that all drives and the printer are available between each computer. I had tried to set up the computers to share months ago, but never got it to work and gave up.

The desktop is old, running WinME, one laptop is running WinXPpro, the other laptop is running Vista. They are all connected to a Westell router/dsl modem for internet through Verizon.

So, I turn the desktop off daily. Today I go to turn it off and it says the WinXP laptop is connected and do I really want to shut down. I go to windows explorer on both machines and sure enough I have access to the other drives on each computer. I start the Vista machine and see the same.

Am I compromised?

A:MY home computers suddenly sharing over home wireless network

If you didn't make the change to share all drives, then somebody did. I would assume the worst. Time to reformat and reinstall.

Windows ME is past end of life, and no security updates are provided by MS. I wouldn't run it anymore. Maybe you'd want to try out some linux distros, some are quite good on old hardware. See this review:
http://www.linux.com/feature/52134

It seems you don't have a separate router, I would advise you to get one. I have a modem/router too but I also have a separate hardware firewall/router. The modem/router does NAT but I constantly see connections/attacks making it past the modem/router to my firewall. Having a separate router is a good thing.

Since you are using wireless, did you enable the encryption? If you have WPA or WPA2 use them and setup a long and complicated passphrase. Use WEP if you have no other choice cause WEP can be broken into real quick. You must enable encryption because with wireless, all your machines are sitting ducks when you have close range attackers, whereas with wired, at least you still have a perimeter which you can fortify with a firewall. Also it is especially important to have software firewalls on Each PC when using wireless.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-home-computers-suddenly-sharing-over-home-wireless-network.688238/
Relevancy 45.15%

I have Laptop and PC connected with lan cabel They are both with Windows Vista Home Basic bit They both have no problems with internet They have the same WORKGROUP names Both have real IPs I see each other on the Network but i can not connect to them it was all OK when I was on XP gt When I try to connect from the Laptop to the PC i recive quot Error code x quot I click on Diagnose and I on 32bit. Network Home Vista Home Basic Problem see this I tried to turn off the Firewall and the NOD antivirus but nothing changed The Sharing and Discovery Settings are OK like this I give share permissions to my network May be I have to install quot Client Home Network Problem on Vista Home Basic 32bit. quot for quot File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks quot but is no listed 'Client' or 'Servise' to use I found I have to allow permissions in the firewall to some ports like -TCP -UDP -UDP -TCP I did this Give me some help how to manage with my network so I can browse both computers copy files and so on Thanks in advance

A:Home Network Problem on Vista Home Basic 32bit.

I can't help but just wondered why you have made another post not long after your first post with exactly the same question ?

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/201692-home-network-problem-vista-home-basic-32bit.html
Relevancy 45.15%

can someone help me sort this I have a bunch of devices on my lan some by ethernet some wireless One Windows Pro desktop on ethernet serves all the other devices - at least in theory Working on 10 won't network: allow Home Pro browse Home shared Windows fldr vs well no big issues But with my Windows Home edition on a Zenbook with networking on network discovery on public folder shared I can RDP into the other windows machine just fine I can map network drives etc Life's good right With my 'droid using ES File Manager I can move files easily between windows machine Windows desktop other droids etc However the ONE MACHINE it cannot get Windows 10 Home vs Pro on network: Home won't allow browse shared fldr coherent is the Zenbook running Windows Home It simply will not connect with the correct IP and credentials I can quot see quot the machine by scanning the network map with the Droid access it setup the credentials but cannot get in I am wild-guessing the firewall may be blocking but I have no trouble doing what's needed with the other Windows machine so stumped Both are fully updated to latest win updates both are essentially set same way networking-wise to my knowledge Anyone have a clue here

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/42276-windows-10-home-vs-pro-network-home-wont-allow-browse-shared-fldr.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Windows 7 home premium sp1
Bitdefender tell me it become unresponsive an recommend to reboot
system message tell me  Windows update is deactivated
window defender full scan found nothing
comodo antivirus deactivated and cannot be reactivated
a reboot do not change anything
can you help me please

A:W 7 home cannot conect internet and home network even in safe mode

Welcome aboard

Can you operate computer normally?

Are you running two AV programs (BitDefender and Comodo)?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/518785/w-7-home-cannot-conect-internet-and-home-network-even-in-safe-mode/
Relevancy 45.15%

Not sure how actively anyone is tracking user needs here but figured I had nothing to lose by asking for help unable to find an understandable Home? Virtual 2007: running access Home...password to Windows on in PC network Win7 10 Win Win98 printer answer here so far I had been happily running Virtual PC on a Win Home system printing on a network physically connected Windows Virtual PC 2007: Win98 running on Win7 Home...password to access network printer in Win 10 Home? via usb cable to a Win XP system nbsp I have now replaced the XP tower with a Windows tower with that printer attached to that tower and functioning normally When I run Virtual PC on the Win system it quot sees quot the Win system but on trying to install the printer it is asking for a password to the Win system I am guessing that it would require a ton of tweaks to get around this and although I am not a full blown novice I never like fiddling with too many settings that might screw up everything else that is working So long story short is there in fact a reasonably simple way to work around this or should I just give up to progress and new operating systems Thanks to anyone who might be willing to point me in the right direction

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a0dafef1-ad4f-4e1b-926e-78fd41964fad/windows-virtual-pc-2007-win98-running-on-win7-homepassword-to-access-network-printer-in-win-10?forum=w7itprovirt
Relevancy 44.72%

I have three computers networked together at home They have different OS s on them One is Vista Home Premium another XP Pro and the home from copy Home Can't Xp on Pro folders network to Solved: Xp third is XP Home My problem is that I can t copy or move any folders or files from the XP home machine to the Solved: Can't copy folders from Xp Home to Xp Pro on home network Xp pro machine I get an error message that access Solved: Can't copy folders from Xp Home to Xp Pro on home network is denied Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected and the file is not currently in use I can go to the XP Pro computer and go through my mapped drive and click on the same file and copy it without any errors Why does this only work from one machine I know XP home only uses simple file sharing and XP Pro has more security Is there a setting that I should check on the firewall or within XP Pro I made some changes to get the XP Pro computer to be able to map a network drive to the Vista computer Will this effect the ability to copy files from XP Home I have researched this issue and have not found an answer that will solve the problem None of the computers are password protected or are any of the files password protected on any computer nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

I have a home desktop computer, and a work laptop. Over the years I've changed laptops and home computers, and have always been able to get network sharing working so I can transfer files between them by using \\<hostname>

I've had my current setup for about 6 months now, and have been able to share files. Let's call my home computer "alien" and my work computer "laptop".

A couple of days ago, I found I was not able to connect to alien from laptop, but I could connect the other way. Also, alien can ping laptop, but NOT vice versa. alien has a static IP of 192.168.1.200, and laptop has an IP address of 192.168.1.8 via DHCP.

Any ideas about why laptop cannot ping alien (which would explain why I can't connect to it)?

A:Can no longer connect to home computer over home network

Quote: Originally Posted by mbh9700

I have a home desktop computer, and a work laptop. Over the years I've changed laptops and home computers, and have always been able to get network sharing working so I can transfer files between them by using \\<hostname>

I've had my current setup for about 6 months now, and have been able to share files. Let's call my home computer "alien" and my work computer "laptop".

A couple of days ago, I found I was not able to connect to alien from laptop, but I could connect the other way. Also, alien can ping laptop, but NOT vice versa. alien has a static IP of 192.168.1.200, and laptop has an IP address of 192.168.1.8 via DHCP.

Any ideas about why laptop cannot ping alien (which would explain why I can't connect to it)?

You may want to disable the antivirus software for testing. With the ping not working it would seem like something is blocking the connection. Do the machines appear in the network folder under network?

Obviously you should make sure that Network Discovery and File and Printer sharing are turned on in the Advanced Sharing settings.

Make sure they are on the same Workgroup etc. and that file sharing is enabled through the sharing tab >Advanced Sharing> of the C:>Users folder.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/309141-can-no-longer-connect-home-computer-over-home-network.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Help,
I had to reformat my computer and am using windows 7 pro 64 bit. After getting Windows 7 back onto my computer, I was trying to use my home network to pass file between my desktop and to the a laptop. It wouldn't let me do either. I then looked at network sharing and it showed that neither my home network or home group was there. So I tried to set up another home group, and it gave me the following error:

"Must have IPv6 to create or join a home group".

When I go and try to start my IPv6 through the trouble shooter, it shows being started, but it still will not let me either join or create a home group.

Any ideas????? I hope this explanation is clear enough.

Dabeartn

Relevancy 43.86%

My main desktop is a Vista Home Premium -bit Dell system connected to a WRT G Router Workgroup with my last name The Laptop originally was XP Home configured to the same Workgroup name connected to the same router and networking was flawless In order to access a newly created Domain at my workplace my Laptop was upgraded to XP Pro SP There were still issues with a program on the work network even though I could connect to the domain so they decided to Home to XP Broke Upgrade Network Pro Home XP just get me a new desktop XP Home to XP Pro Upgrade Broke Home Network and everything there is fine But now I can t get my Laptop seen by my Desktop Here are the details On my XP Pro Laptop I entered the correct Workgroup name and had to XP Home to XP Pro Upgrade Broke Home Network sign off the Domain Now when I log on I am connecting to quot This Computer quot and not the domain From the XP Pro Laptop I can see and Ping the Desktop have Internet access a proper IP Address etc The Desktop shows up on the Network I can Map a Drive etc So from the XP Pro Laptop to the Vista Home Desktop everything works fine in that direction On the Desktop however there is a problem The Laptop does show up as a computer on the Network but when I click on it to access it I receive an Error Message Windows cannot access Dell Check the spelling Error Code x If I click on the quot Diagnose quot button I get Check the spelling of the name make sure the computer is turned on and connected etc I cannot ping the Laptop from the Desktop Time out I have NIS set up on both Computers On the Desktop when I look at the Network Map I do see the Dell Laptop and have given it quot Full Trust quot setting It shows it as quot Online quot But I can t acess the XP Laptop from the Vista Desktop despite the fact that it does show up on the Network as shown by Windows and the Network Map as shown by Norton I tried temporarily turning off the Norton Firewall on the Laptop No change As suggested on one site I found I enabled NetBIOS over TCP IP on the Laptop and rebooted but no change I tried going through the Network Wizard on the XP Laptop but it failed with a non-descriptive suggestion to try again or set it up manually When I look at System Properties the quot Full Computer Name quot of the Laptop is displayed as quot Dell quot with a period at the end even though the name itself is quot Dell quot without the period quot Dell quot is shown as the NetBIOS name I do have the Data partition on the XP Latop quot shared quot as I did before the XP Pro upgrade when everything was working fine Windows File Sharing is enabled I m stumped It seems I ve done everything right but can t figure out why the Vista Desktop can t seem to connect with the XP Laptop Any suggestions greatly appreciated I imagine there s some small switch that needs to be thrown but for the life of me I can t identify it Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 43.86%

Here is the deal I am running Windows XP SP on my home tower custom built The tower is hardwired to a Linksys WRT GS Solved: office ready not Network printer home network will to connect router The tower does not have a wireless NIC There are a few other computers that access this small network at various Solved: Network ready printer will not connect to home office network times The router is using WPA-PSK encryption Wireless MAC address connectivity is enabled I bought an HP NW Laserjet printer and tried connecting it to the wireless network using the enclosed getting started guide I initially tried connecting it in ad hoc mode because I believe this is what I should use in my home office No dice Nothing was recognized The only printing success I got was when I hooked an Ethernet cable directly to the router After unplugging the cable I had no luck printing wirelessly even though I tried also configuring the installation for infrastructure mode where the printer was recognized but still would not print once the cable was removed I have taken the printer s MAC address and added it as a trusted endpoint in both my router s configuration table and in my firewall Norton Internet Security However that has also not helped Some advice I have read is making sure QoS is disabled on the router and also making sure that the SSID and pass key for the printer match that of the router It should be easy to make these changes to the printer but I cannot access the embedded web server in this printer to make these changes Also one source said to make sure the printer is on the same subnet as the router I only have one subnet in my network and that is the xx xx range of addresses that I use for two of my laptops with wireless NICs and a third Dell tower with a Linksys wireless NIC Any ideas on what else I can try I am pretty much out of ideas Thanks Elizabeth K nbsp

A:Solved: Network ready printer will not connect to home office network

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-network-ready-printer-will-not-connect-to-home-office-network.581074/
Relevancy 43.86%

Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network screen I have a home network with laptops and desktop The desktop I use as a quot file server quot in that all work done on the laptops is stored to the to Explorer Unable network computers Windows in see scree home Network desktop The desktop computer name is HAL One laptop is fine and sees the network The other just stopped seeing it rebooted the laptop rebooted HAL did a number of refreshes without any luck I opened EXCEL and found a worksheet that was listed that I knew was saved Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree on HAL Was able to open the file and when I tried the SAVE AS I could navigate through all of HAL just as normal Went to Windows Explorer and still no HAL listed as a COMPUTER on the NETWORK I have a internet connection so I know I am making it to the router at least And when I check NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER it shows an active home network Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree The laptop is running Windows Home Premium Service Pack Build Thanks in advance for any help George

A:Unable to see home network computers in Windows Explorer Network scree

Still working on the problem. Tried to do a system restore back to the point where everything was working. Still no HAL showing as a network computer; Excel now does not recognize the path that worked yesterday. But now I am able to create a shortcut that will take me to HAL on the network. Guess this is a good enough fix for right now. When I go to Windows Explorer, Network it still only shows the 2 laptops and not HAL......WHY????

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/229783-unable-see-home-network-computers-windows-explorer-network-scree.html
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi all This is all on my home network - both PCs are local to each other I have a Win PC which hosts all within network Remote loses network home drive randomly desktop and connectivity mapped my media and documents which I connect to via remote desktop and share a drive on the network It has no monitor so remote desktop is my main method of access Very occasionally I will turn it on and be unable to connect to it or the mapped drive In fact my main PC Win cannot find it on the network anywhere But it IS on the network - I can connect via my mobile using Splashtop and I can also connect via TeamViewer from the main PC This is not a solution though as I need to be able to access the shared drive on my main PC Remote desktop and mapped network drive within home network randomly loses connectivity Both PCs use Bitdefender Makes no Remote desktop and mapped network drive within home network randomly loses connectivity difference with the BD firewall temporarily turned off As I mentioned sometimes it connects fine with no issues and sometimes it can't find it In these situations I can't even ping the Media PC's IP address timeout nor can the Media PC ping the main PC It can obviously ping the router Usually a restart of the Media PC fixes this although that's annoying - but today it isn't The error that I get is 'The network path was not found' and for remote desktop 'Remote Desktop can't find the computer 'MediaServer quot This might mean it does not belong to the specified network quot etc I also thought it work mentioning that this is what comes up when using the net use command Status nbsp nbsp nbsp Local nbsp nbsp Remote nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Network ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Unavailable nbsp X nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp MediaServer D nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp nbsp Microsoft Windows Network The command completed successfully If I then muck around with deleting the share and reconnecting it will sometimes reconnect Today - no can't find the network path Any help appreciated

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/1a303e2f-6cbb-4147-8cdd-2009aa384661/remote-desktop-and-mapped-network-drive-within-home-network-randomly-loses-connectivity?forum=w8itpronetworking
Relevancy 43.43%

So i'm having an issue connecting my desktop to my home network for file sharing. My Desktop is connected to the internet like so: Desktop ->(Ethernet cable)-> Uverse 2wire router -> Internet.

I have no issues with my internet connection, and in fact I am posting this from my desktop now. Windows Network Diagnostics finds no issues when I run the trouble shooter. and when I try to connect to a home group it refers me to the network issue.

This issue has plagued me for about 6 months now. I have talked to Uverse tech support, and many of my friends who are into computers and have gotten no answers. Computer is running windows 7 SP1 and again the router is the Uverse 2wire router

How can I make my desktop available for network sharing?

Also here is a screenshot of the network map according to this computer

A:Network Sharing Problem. Connecting Desktop to home network

Have you set up a home network? What is the workgroup name? Are there any passwords of any kind? Have you set your shared settings on each PC in the workgroup?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/207840-network-sharing-problem-connecting-desktop-home-network.html
Relevancy 43.43%

Hi there, I use Wireless internet for both my pc and laptop, and connect through my BT Homehub. But whenever I open the wireless connections tab, it always shows a Talk Talk Wireless option along with the BT one which I use (and sometimes a 3rd connection that is unknown to me).
I think my network is secure, as I have to put a network key in before it will connect to the internet on the PC, but when I connect to the internet on the laptop no key is required, (so unsure a bit now) but I just wanted to make sure that the Talk Talk connection and the other one that is showing, is not somebody who can see all of the files on either my pc or laptop.
Just wanted some advice really, to make sure I dont have anybody viewing my files etc. Thank you in advance.

Relevancy 43.43%

PRODUCT: HP Chromebook 11 G4S/N: 5CD5515QDCGoogle Chrome OS Version 50.0.2661.103Platform 7978.74.0Firmware Google_Kip.5216.227.25 This device is frustrating my spouse to no end.  It keeps dropping our home wifi network connection.  I have to shutdown power, wait, and power back on and it refreshes.  This is annoying. I am seriously considering returning this device.  The whole point of this purchase was stability and ease of browsing and light internet use.  Frustration is not part of the purchase.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Network-Connection-Error-Dropped-Home-WiFi-Network-only-on/td-p/5638654
Relevancy 43%

Hi Guys and Gals So i have a problem trying to connect unidentified home change network network to - Public cant my PC Via Ethernet wireless can connect but i m wanting wired as the signal strength is poor and of cause wired is faster ive never had wired connection on my PC and the problem has only just came about after moving home Public network - unidentified network cant change to home i digress so in network sharing its is showing my wired connection as unidentified public network - IPv Connectivity - no network access IPv Connectivity - no network access Now i have tried the following - resetting router i have fibre so reset both - reset pc - uninstalled reinstalled and udated drivers for Broadcom NetXtreme xx Gigabit Controller - turned off firewall - turned of anti virus anti spyware - manually assigned IP - automatically assigned IP - installed protocol on IPv and IPv - deleted network from my computer and reconnected - changed my security settings to low disabled then reset them back after no change ip config - Microsoft Windows Version Copyright c Microsoft Corporation All rights reserved C Users Ryan gt ipconfig Windows IP Configuration Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link-local IPv Address fe c f c fd e d IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Link-local IPv Address fe b fe a Autoconfiguration IPv Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway Tunnel adapter isatap F D- - - C -AD A B Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix IPv Address ef fb f f ff Link-local IPv Address fe f f ff Default Gateway Tunnel adapter isatap FF F D- BF - A-A D- A F E Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Tunnel adapter isatap E A - - BD -B - B FDD A D Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Any help with this would be great as i said i have a connection via wifi so im not gonna hang my self just yet but would really like some insight into the problem Thanks nbsp

Relevancy 43%

My home network has several componants DSL down up and wireless down up My windows xp computer is connected to the wireless vista ultimate is connected to DSL but both are part of my home network and I am able to share files This part is fine it is hard wired My laptop xp pro wireless or hard wired sees the home hidden network is Vista a my wireless network says home network all is good Problem my tablet vista premium can Vista says my home network wireless is a hidden network only connect to wireless down wirelessly is not able to share files Not part of home network file sharing and discovery are on It will connect to home network hard cable and share files when I get thwwat part figured out It is a member of home network Vista says my home network wireless is a hidden network How do I correct this Vista says my home network wireless is a hidden network problem I am using a DSL modem to a monowall router with wireless to switches through out the house The wireless signal from a different provider Vista says my home network wireless is a hidden network through a meg I think anttena also goes to the mono wall router Monowall router is working correctly at least hard wired The purpose of a wireless home network is to sorry be wireless and able to move around and share files Sorry if it is confusing I had it all working with xp Vista is a problem that I have not figured out yet Help

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/181414-vista-says-my-home-network-wireless-hidden-network.html
Relevancy 42.57%

I have two devices connected to my home wireless network, my phone and my laptop. Recently my network has disappeared from the laptop's list of networks. This did not happen with my phone, which works fine. By disappeared I mean my home network cannot be discovered by my laptop. This is not a connection issue because I cannot find the network to connect to. I do not have this problem with any other wireless network. I followed the various command prompts suggested by Microsoft's troubleshooting guide (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...nection-issues). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/44417-home-network-has-disappeared-network-list.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Ladies and Gents Setting up home LAN network for computers Ran AVAILABLE Cptrs, home 4 4 NOT Solved: O/S, network, NETWORK Network Wizard from Base Computer running XP O S and Free Solved: 4 Cptrs, 4 O/S, home network, NETWORK NOT AVAILABLE Zonealarm Configured other computers on network A Win sharing files and printers turned on Some folders configured i NFW Result After selecting NETWORK NEIGHBORHOOD gt ENTIRE NETWORK page is blank The only computer listed under its designated name is the shared file list from this computer I can see the file icons but only those residing on this computer B WinME sharing files and printers turned on i Free Zonealarm Result After selecting NETWORK NEIGHBORHOOD gt ENTIRE NETWORK folder is empty receive prompt quot Network is not available quot C Win sharing files and printers turned on i NFW Result WinXP Network Wizard does not work with Win Setup manually After selecting NETWORK NEIGHBORHOOD gt Computers Near Me gt response quot The list of servers for this workgroup is not available quot D WinXP Base Computer i Free Zonealarm Result After selecting NETWORK NEIGHBORHOOD gt ENTIRE NETWORK COMPUTERS icons for Base A amp B appear C is missing Select Icon quot The network path was not found quot Notes Why four O S That is what the computers came with Seems to be a firewall issue Tried to check this but not finding anything obvious to me that might open the network Tips are appreciated Woof Mr Peabody nbsp

Relevancy 42.57%

New windows 7 Home Premium desktop that can print when the printer is directly connected but can't print when the printer is connected to an XP pro pc. It can see it but we're getting a "driver cannot be found on the network" flag.

A:reaching a network printer in a home network

When the printer is connected to the XP machine can the XP machine print to it?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/374760/reaching-a-network-printer-in-a-home-network/
Relevancy 42.57%

Can't get Public Network to change to Home Network! This is with my ethernet cable. Also does not connect to the Internet. I have Googled but the way it shows how to do it is not available to me! Oh I am using Windows 7 professional. [IMG][/IMG]

Thank you in advance

A:Can't get Public Network to change to Home Network!

See Fix Windows 7 Network Connection Stuck In Public Mode - gHacks Tech News

If it is not obvious the link to fixit - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2578723/

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/377238-cant-get-public-network-change-home-network.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Hi everyone quick story to detail my exact problem though this thread showed the same problem with no working solution for me I installed Win on a separate partition use Win Ultimate x normally and was using it It worked fine I connected my iPhone to charge it when the phone automatically activated a tethering app This instantly switched my wired network connection to the USB connection which I immediately disabled As soon as I did that my wired connection my hard wire internet not the tethered iPhone connection stopped working and showed the network only as quot Unidentified network Thus the error Now I followed all of the instructions in the previously linked thread I even reformatted my hard drive to for Unidentified network home error Network no avail Microsoft support wants me to pay not gonna happen Furthermore I know it isn't a router or actual network issue because my desktop is the only machine with that problem My xbox was streaming TV over the same network when it all occurred and Unidentified Network error for home network it is doing so as I type this I switched the cables obviously rebooted multiple time the whole nine yards What makes it worse is every time I try to diagnose the problem Windows just tells me to reset my router I even tried that but obviously it didn't work After every reboot my IP changes back to a address Every time I manually set it no change It seems like no matter what I do it won't get fixed The only thing Microsoft support said I should do is search for updated drivers for my NIC This shouldn't be necessary since I reformatted once before and I didn't need to update my drivers to access the internet I'm about a day away from just scrapping the whole thing for parts Any help is greatly appreciated

A:Unidentified Network error for home network

It sounds like your machine is having a hard time picking up the router. The 169 address is what you get when the router isn't being picked up by the machine. It's like a generic IP that Msoft uses when nothing is available.

You also take your chances plugging anything Apple into a Windows PC, seems to be when the problem started. That is what the entire Bonjour fiasco is about.

Have you tried updating the firmware on your router because something doesn't seem right there.

Updating the drivers might also be good advice. You haven't listed any system specs so I can't do that for you.

If all else fails you could try typing your default gateway from your router into your IPv4 settings window. The link below shows you how.

http://pocketpccentral.net/blog/2009...blem-resolved/

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/221844-unidentified-network-error-home-network.html
Relevancy 42.57%

My laptop can no longer connect to my home network Laptop will network network home connect every to my except It used to connect fine but I was having problems with my graphics card as every time I went on Youtube it would crash As a result I sent it into ASUS it is an ASUS K J Series and got the motherboard and the hard drive replaced After this Laptop will connect to every network except my home network my laptop seemed to be working great It connected to a variety of networks including home networks and public networks However it cannot connect to the network in my apartment I know this network works and is connectable as my roommate s laptop works perfectly fine So I know it is not a problem with my laptop since it connects to other networks and I know it is not the network since other laptops connect to it I ve tried resetting my adapter I ve tried turning off the firewall and I am simply out of ideas Also I ve tried the trouble shooting option numerous times after trying a variety of things that usually fix the connectivity but it always says that the problem cannot be detected It s starting to be really frustrating especially since I m in university and sharing a laptop when both my roommate and I need to do work is not convenient Thank you Prudence nbsp

Relevancy 42.57%

I need real help I had cable internet mbs installed last September in my one bedroom apartment Before that I was connecting to a spotty mbs network that was open next door with home network any to but Unable to can connect to other network their permission I was able to obtain fast and efficient internet access for about or months and then it became intermittent For the past months I have been unable to connect through my home cable modem router at all I have been to the cable company and they have tested the cable modem router and Unable to connect to home network but can to any other network the Unable to connect to home network but can to any other network signal which comes into the router and out at fast speeds I have been to the place where I bought my laptop purchased at Staples last summer Others can connect though my wifi but I cannot It connects but gives me a DNS error It doesn t matter whether I am hard wired or on wifi I am running Win Home Premium bit on a compaq CQ - NR Notebook with a Vision AMD Athlon II P Dual-Core processor ghz with GB ram GB usable It contains an Atheros AR b g n WiFi adapter Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller Realtek High Definition Audio Built in pointing device mouse pad with a wireless mouse connected through USB port hard drive Hitachi HTS A A SATA Disk Device Apparently for some unknown reason my computer networking modules can connect to but won t or can t talk to the cable modem router supplied by my ISP Charter Communications but can access the internet though any other wifi service or hot spot without a problem - INCLUDING the very same ISP through other wifi spots in town They have tested and retested the cable modem router and have told me that without a doubt there is nothing wrong with the device even though normally I thought anyway a DNS error like this would be a server side error Please someone help me I am paying for this internet service and would love to use it If you require anymore information please ask and I will provide it for you I am sorry if this was covered in another post I searched and searched and was unable to find a post that adequately came close to the problem that I described above Sorry if I am so wordy HELP Regards to All William nbsp

A:Unable to connect to home network but can to any other network

Connect the system to your network and then
please get a command prompt (Start->RUN->CMD) and enter ipconfig /all >myTcp.txt
follow-up with the attachment myTcp.txt which will be in the directory shown in the CMD prompt window.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/unable-to-connect-to-home-network-but-can-to-any-other-network.164932/
Relevancy 42.57%

Someone at home uses their laptop at workplace and connect to the workplace network and come back home to use the home network.

I heard that work place is a very dangerous place.

How do the rest of the home network user protect themselve from the work PC.

A:Using work network and home network safely

Hi,
what do you mean 'work place is a very dangerous place'?
I am using my workstation at home without any issues. It can be dangerous, if the security at work is low. But at my company, Security is at the highest possible level (can't even turn on Gtalk, or update stuff to SkyDrive, Skype and facebook forbidden).

but anyway, lets go back to you question: You want to protect your home network from the work PC.
Well, why do you need to use your work PC at home? Just don't use it and that is it. If you need to use it, then scan it with anti-virus software and check if there are any malicious stuff on it.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/336455-using-work-network-home-network-safely.html
Relevancy 42.57%

Dumb question here: I have just one computer. When I connect to the internet via dial-up, my computer says I'm part of a network and it wants me to choose between Public Network and Home Network.

I'm assuming the "network" detected is my dial-up connection and that I should choose "Public Network". Am I assuming correctly, or is my network type selection irrelevant to my dial-up settings.

Thanks.

A:Home Network, Public Network & Dial-Up

The security is different between the two. Unless you are out looking for wifi hot spots "public", then you should use the Home networking feature, although the workgroup may work better for you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/44562-home-network-public-network-dial-up.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi - my first post so please be gentle with me I have an IBM R laptop running XP Home SP and a Dell desktop running XP Pro SP i have a printer connected to the Dell desktop I have two accounts home Home XP on print - Cannot network on the laptop - both set as administrator users From one I can always print to the shared printer over the home network without a problem however from the other I cannot and I get an access denied message Using this same account if XP Home - Cannot print on home network I try to access a shared folder on the desktop then I am prompted to login which I do using the Guest account After that I can then print OK Question is why with one of the accounts on the laptop does it always work OK whereas with the other it doesn t unless I try to access a network share first I cannot see any differences between the way the two accounts have been setup I m guessing that when I try to access the printer XP is using the Guest account to gain access to the desktop and failing with one account but not the other Once authentication has taken place by accessing a share then its OK How do I get XP to automatically authenticate when I try to access the shared printer Any help much appreciated TIA nbsp

A:XP Home - Cannot print on home network

You would need to have a user setup on the desktop that has the same username/password as the laptop.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-home-cannot-print-on-home-network.120866/
Relevancy 42.14%

I have two computers I put on a home network how do I access that network if I'm not at home. I tried using the remote acess but it doesn't work any suggestions to what I'm doing wrong
. both computers are on windows 7 pro and ultimate

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/389891-access-home-network-when-not-home.html
Relevancy 42.14%

I am having a problem with Home Networking a XP-Home to XP-Pro computer The connection is through a wired router Both XPs have SP- amp rollups I set them up with a workgroup quot ball quot just a name for example have checked the simple file setting and just about everything else I can think of or find on the web Here s my problem The XP-Home computer can see the XP-Pro computer and drag any files it wants from the Pro to the Home computer However the XP-Pro cannot see the XP-Home computer On the Pro computer I cannot find any other computer other than itself in the quot ball quot workgroup under the Entire Network MS Windows Network In addition although I can drag files from the Pro to the Home I cannot move them from the Home to the Pro even though the Pro s folder that it is supposed to go to is right there on the XP-Home computer To clarify it a bit If the Pro could see the Home I would drag it from the Home to the Pro As the Pro cannot see the Home I tried to drag send it from the Home to the Pro using the Home computer No luck as I mentioned above I get an Error message saying gt Cannot create or replace the file Access is denied Make sure the disk is not full or write protected and that the file is not currently in use lt Well I checked all the error mentioned and there should have been no problem Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it Steve-x nbsp

Relevancy 40.85%

--edit see my second post This is supposed to be easy OK first I have a desktop win pro I never thought I'd own a laptop need networks so I might have disabled something at some point I've disabled everything I don't need for performance reasons - game graphics rig It has ethernet connections is to modem is open I recently bought a laptop win home pro prem desktop/win7 home issues network home win7 premium So time for file sharing Bought a crossover network cable Trying to set up a home network Works on the laptop but going through all the troubleshooters and all I get on the PC is 'cannot add home network to this computer' I can see and get into my PC from the laptop but the PC won't register a network OR my laptop I win7 home prem desktop/win7 pro home network issues actually want the opposite as it's easier to use the PC for transfers work etc None of the troubleshooting in Win Pro PC is working any ideas I've set both clocks to internet time I have everything open to file sharing on both machines edit I did just notice that when I turn on file and printer sharing in network amp sharing advanced settings and hit save changes everytime I reopen the window it's set back to off Doesn't matter how many times i turn it on and save it always gets turned off again

A:win7 home prem desktop/win7 pro home network issues

Quote: Originally Posted by Baddcog

This is supposed to be easy?

OK, first I have a desktop, win 7 pro 64. I never thought I'd own a laptop, need networks so I might have disabled something at some point.
(I've disabled everything I don't need for performance reasons - game/graphics rig)

It has 2 ethernet connections. 1 is to modem. 2 is open.

I recently bought a laptop, win 7 home premium 64.

So time for file sharing. Bought a crossover network cable.

Trying to set up a home network. Works on the laptop, but going through all the troubleshooters and all I get on the PC is 'cannot add home network to this computer'.

I can see and get into my PC from the laptop, but the PC won't register a network OR my laptop. (I actually want the opposite as it's easier to use the PC for transfers/work/etc...)

None of the troubleshooting in Win7Pro PC is working, any ideas?

(I've set both clocks to internet time, I have everything open to file sharing on both machines)

==edit

I did just notice that when I turn on file and printer sharing in network & sharing/advanced settings and hit save changes,

everytime I reopen the window it's set back to off. Doesn't matter how many times i turn it on and save, it always gets turned off again.

The problem is in bold. Once you disable those services all bets are off on the network sharing being functional until all your required networking services are all enabled and set to automatic.

You shot yourself in the foot by doing that and disabling those services doesn't do much to improve system performance.

The reason that file and printer sharing isn't staying on is because you disabled the service it requires.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/125403-win7-home-prem-desktop-win7-pro-home-network-issues.html
Relevancy 40.85%

Hello,

I have to computers on my home network. One laptop (dell) and one PC (custom build). I have XP home with SP2 and AVG 7.1 antivirus on both. I have run the network setup on both computers several times to no avail. They are connected through a linksys cable router.

The internet works fine on both and i can ping the computers from the other without a problem. When i try to connect via run->\\12.345.67.8 i get an error saying path not found. They are on the same workgroup, and windows firewall is off on both comuters

help please. I recently formated by PC and put all my music on the laptop and i want it back on the PC

Thanks

A:Cannot see network Computer on home network

ive got a d-link router that does the same thing. if you've got a crossover network cable, i suggest just connecting the two computers directly. gave up on home networking a while ago. good luck

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cannot-see-network-computer-on-home-network.52336/
Relevancy 40.85%

is it possible to wireless network between these 2 versions of xp?

never had any problems before instaling mce, on one of my home computers.

my laptop is recognising the mediacentre on my network places, but when i click on it i get a message that i con not connect?
and the mediacentre will only see my router homepage.

HELP PLEASE!!!!

A:can not network xp home - xp mce over my wireless network?

Sure, it's not an issue.

For each computer, please do this. Follow the instructions exactly.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following two commands:

nbtstat -n

ipconfig /all

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

Also, I'd like some information.

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.
Make/model of the broadband modem.
Make/model of the router.
Connection type, wired, wireless.
If wireless, encryption used, (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.)
Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built).
Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2, Vista, etc.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/can-not-network-xp-home-xp-mce-over-my-wireless-network.629607/
Relevancy 40.85%

I recently changed ISP and must have changed the default settings I can't remember what the settings were before I didn't take much notice because everything was working as it should Since I chose the wrong network I'm having problems connecting to certain websites and even trying to login into my Synology account I got this to work by if I remember correctly putting the Synology account on a 'whitelist' My Network is showing as 'Public Network' but how do I change it to show 'Home Network' I ask because MinimWatch is not working due to me choosing the wrong type of Network The way to fix it is to choose 'Home Network' but I can't find a way how to do this I did follow a tutorial on how How 'Home Network'? change to Network to to change between 'public and private' Network Location - Set to Private or Public in Windows but the options that should be How to change Network to 'Home Network'? showing don't show up when I right click my network connection Will I have to change 'wifi' and 'ethernet' to 'Home Network' I'm completely stuck now

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/73841-how-change-network-home-network.html
Relevancy 40.42%

Running Windows XP Home Service Pack It seems that what I m trying to do should be simple Yet I ve literally been trying to do it for over a year I stumbled upon this forum so maybe you can make my dreams come true and actually give me a shared network angels singing Keep refusing Home Network computers Windows show Places" network to XP "My in mind I once Windows XP Home "My Network Places" refusing to show network computers had a shared network and everything was fine Then one day it mysteriously stopped and hasn t run since even after hundreds literally of attempts to set it up again For the moment all I want to do is have my computer we ll call this computer quot Sony Laptop quot appear in its own quot My Network Places quot window - not concerned with Windows XP Home "My Network Places" refusing to show network computers the other networked computer at the moment I have tried quot Set up a home or small office network quot and quot set up a wireless network for a home or small office quot dozens of times chosen every single combination possible completed them restarted but quot Sony Laptop quot still never appears in quot My Network Places quot I cannot for the life of me understand it If that s all the info you need please respond If you want more observations read below FRY S DESKTOP Windows XP Home "My Network Places" refusing to show network computers is connected to BELKIN ROUTER via ethernet SONY LAPTOP is connected to BELKIN ROUTER via wireless -- ethernet ----- FRY S DESKTOP BELKIN ROUTER --wireless -------SONY LAPTOP I can receive wireless internet with the SONY LAPTOP through the BELKIN ROUTER I can ping FRY S DESKTOP from SONY LAPTOP I cannot ping SONY LAPTOP from FRY S DESKTOP I tried pinging SONY LAPTOP through both the wireless IP address and a connected ethernet cable Local Area Connection IP address connected through the BELKIN ROUTER Neither worked Some things I ve encountered When I explore the network gt My Network Places gt Entire Network gt Microsoft Windows Network I get a funny message quot Unable to Browse the Network - The Network is not present or not started - For more information click Help quot Of course in classic Windows style when I click quot Help quot the window hangs and never goes anywhere kind of ironic - don t you think It s called quot Windows quot and can t function within a window I was told by some others that I should check the quot Services quot and more specifically Workstation Server TCP IP Netbios helper Computer Browser Now of those four two of them had not been started Workstation and Computer Browser I tried starting these double click them and up will pop a window that allows you to start but each of them came up with an error message Here are those two error messages Computer Browser quot Could not start the Computer Browser service on Local computer Error The dependency service or group failed to start quot Workstation quot Could not start the Workstation Service on Local Computer Error The specified module could not be found quot If anybody knows anything about these errors and how to fix them let mek now So that s it That s my experience so far As you can see I m neck deep in it and nothing would make me happier than finally figuring it out after months Chris nbsp

A:Windows XP Home "My Network Places" refusing to show network computers

You need to look at the dependency list for each service. In the case of Computer Browser, it's Workstation and Server.

Since Workstation is failing, that's probably the place to start.

Do you have WKSSVC.DLL in C:\Windows\system32? That's the workstation service, and it appears to be the missing module. I'd first try copying that from the installation disk, if it's missing, and then register it too by:

Start, Run, regsvr32 wkssvc.dll

If you can't find the DLL, you can run sfc /scannow to restore missing files.

A shortcut may be to download the file from DLL Dump and register it as described above.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-home-my-network-places-refusing-to-show-network-computers.536504/
Relevancy 38.7%

Hi Hopefully a simple one ""this computer..." boot a Network is home for Dafult Home but unable to figure Dafult boot for Home Network ""this is a home computer..." out a default Dafult boot for Home Network ""this is a home computer..." setting Simply for the home desktop and want to share with other kit on the home network When I boot up it appears I have to always tweak the settings Control Panel gt System gt Change settings gt Network ID and select under quot Select the option that best describes your network quot so I opt for I tick quot this is a home computer it's not part of a business network quot The reboot All works fine and all devices can be seen and read write in accordance with the appropriate share settings Now the issue is when I next reboot the Control Panel gt System gt Change settings gt Network ID and select under quot Select the option that best describes your network quot will default to quot This computer is part of a business network I use it to connect to other computers at work quot So I have to got through steps and again How to I get Windows Pro x to default to the quot this is a home computer it's not part of a business network quot on each boot without having to manual configure Thanks for your time as usual

A:Dafult boot for Home Network ""this is a home computer..."

One it is because you are switching back and forth between two different networks. Second Windows Firewall is borked. You may have to open a Command Window and run sfc /scannow . To see if that fixes it.

http://www.eightforums.com/network-sharing/48347-dafult-boot-home-network-home-computer.html
Relevancy 38.7%

Trying to setup a simple network at home A desktop running XP Home edtion w SP and a laptop with a Dell wireless lan card also running XP Home w Network Found" Not "Network Was Path Home SP Desktop has Zone Alarm laptop Windows Firewall Both have file printer sharing enabled From desktop I can ping IPlaptop packets lost From laptop "Network Path Was Not Found" Home Network I can ping IPdesktop packets lost From desktop Start - Run - Iplaptop get exploer window showing laptop shares From laptop Start - Run - IPdesktop get error message quot Network Path Was Not Found quot I have tried turning off all firewalls Zone Alarm and Windows fire wall in desktop and Windows Firewall in laptop same error message I have checked Workstation Server Computer Browser and TCP IP NetBIOS Helper serivces in bothe laptop and desktop and they are all quot Started quot in both machines I am trying to setup file printer sharing in both directions from desktop to laptop and laptop to desktop Any sugesstions Thanks John nbsp

A:"Network Path Was Not Found" Home Network

Sounds like you've done your homework, and a lot of trouble shooting, John.

I'd next try uninstalling Zone Alarm and see if that makes a difference.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-path-was-not-found-home-network.512874/
Relevancy 38.27%

Hi I hope someone on here can help me as I m getting a bit confused lost with all the different options I am moving house in a few months The house is completely empty and hasn t been decorated I am keen to take the opportunity to gain a little experience with networking and wire Cat e Home LAN Network cables throughout Plan I Currently Have At the moment I plan to have at least RJ sockets in each room overall with the cables leading up into the attic which will also be getting renovated Then I am planning that the cables go to a patch panel inside a wall mounted communication cabinet Then to keep it tidy a cable going from the patch panel to a switch box I think thats the right terminology If I have researched it right I plan to have a wireless router from the switch which could provide internet access and also wireless connectivity Have I got it right I know that some of you may not see Home LAN Network the point in having LAN points and also wireless but I would really like to do this to gain experience while I have the opportunity I will probable never get an empty house to do this again without risking doing it wrong and ruining the interior I know someone who can help me route the cables so that wont be a problem its just choosing the Home LAN Network components and getting things working If I haven t got it right could someone correct me please Also would Home LAN Network someone be able to recommend components which would work together best I dont have a huge budget unfortunately Thanks in advance nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-lan-network.983961/
Relevancy 38.27%

First things first- this is about a wired network I do not Home network up set want a wireless network so thats out completely My internet connection runs to my ISP modem router Virgin Home network set up superbox out ports and then to my own router with connections to main computer a NAS box and occasionally other devices laptop game consoles I have several computers through the house and other devices TC other consoles the plan is to set up a wired network so that I can both use the internet and network everything together to give me complete access My guess is that I can use or ports from the router to each location- can I then stick a router at the end of each cable to run a couple of devices from and is there anything I need to do to make this work I have or routers around that could do the job If anyone needs further relevant info let em know and I will give a much as I can nbsp

A:Home network set up

A switch would be the proper device to use.

If you want to use routers you could but you should disable DHCP on them and not use the WAN port but just the LAN ports otherwise you'll create multiple networks that won't be able to communicate to each other.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-set-up.1155695/
Relevancy 38.27%

So I ve looked all around for solutions to see can't home XP the network. this problem but XP home can't see the network. I can t find any I ve got a wireless network and I m trying to share a hard drive with a laptop on the network After lots of tweaking I ve basically made my computer visible to anyone Every computer other than this annoying laptop can see my computer and take files from it So I know it s not an issue with the computer sharing the files The laptop has a static IP in the same range as the source computer The laptop is in the same workgroup yet when I go to quot view workgroup computers quot I get the quot you might not have permission quot dialog From the laptop I can ping my computer the router and the other computers on the network The laptop refuses to see the workgroup computers yet from my computer I can see my roomates computer and a few of the others on my network So basically there s something about the laptop that isn t letting it see the workgroup I ve turned off all software firewalls and tried going run- gt computername or shared computer IP but it just says it can t find the address I ve tried adding the shared folder as a mapped network drive but it still can t find the address I know my computer is not the issue as I can remote desktop to it get to it from the run command etc from all other computers on the network I have no idea what to do next so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated nbsp

A:XP home can't see the network.

Hi

I have a lappy that runs Xp pro and the wifes runs XP home, I had the same nightmare getting the Pro to see the Home (Home could see the pro) , turned out to be mcafee security centre that was the problem, as soon as I configured that it worked.

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/xp-home-cant-see-the-network.64127/
Relevancy 38.27%

I am running Win XP Pro on my desktop with a Linksys WRT gS with a cable modem I have laptops that all have XP pro on them pro network Home XP with I have setup a workgroup and connected them all together and everything has been running fine I am runing AVG for my antivirus I can ping by name but not by IP from the laptop to desktop plugged into router but can not access shared files on that computer If I am on the desktop I can ping by name and by IP and can access files on the laptop Any suggestions why I can not access files on the desktop ipconfig C Documents and Settings Kaytlyn gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Kaytlyn Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No DNS Suffix Search List hsd ga comcast net Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Home network with XP pro Description Broadcom x Integrated Cont roller Physical Address - -C - - - Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix hsd ga comcast net Description Dell Wireless WLAN Mini-PCI Car d Physical Address - -A - - C- Dhcp Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DHCP Server DNS Servers Lease Obtained Saturday August PM Lease Expires Sunday August PM nbsp

A:Home network with XP pro

most common cause is a firewall.

I'm suprised that you said you can ping by name, but not by IP address. Usually you will need the IP address for the hostname, and if the IP was not functioning, the hostname should also not be functioning.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-with-xp-pro.611913/
Relevancy 38.27%

I have got a new asus laptop with windows 7, I work away during the week and recently was able to access my email while away, when I got home I tried to set up a wireless connection with my XP PC at home to send the messages to outlook where my main info is kept. I connect to the internet via the wireless on my laptop at home OK but how do I connect to the PC to send data across,
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1.60GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 1 Stepping 2
Processor Count: 1
RAM: 1535 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 200, 32 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 238464 MB, Free - 211231 MB;
Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., P4XP-X
Antivirus: AVG Internet Security 2012, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled

Relevancy 38.27%

I have one W K client and W DNS & network Home k server Server is running DNS and D-Link Gateway is running DHCP Have been having problems with the client connecting to the domain but I gave up and just worked off the server However I just got a laptop XP and Home network & DNS want tried to join the domain and cannot I think it may have something to do with the domain name I created the domain with the name yoursatelliteoffice com using However I have noticed that the logon screen only shows yoursatelliteof When try to join the domain from the laptop admin account it comes Home network & DNS back and says their is an account at yoursatelliteof would I like to use this I say yes then it comes back saying that the DC could not be contacted If I try to connect using the full name it says that it cannot find an account for the computer on that domain although I set one up called laptop Not an expert in DNS so I hope someone can assist Thank you nbsp

A:Home network & DNS

First of all you need to join your computer to the domain. So logon to the laptop locally Ctrl panel>System>Computer Name (tab) > Click change then go through the dialogs to join you domain.

One thing you will probably find once it all works with your current setup is that it might be slow to logon as Windows like to be the DHCP server so it can update DNS but thats not a real issue.

If you've already got that far then let us know.

The your satalliteoff is 14 letters the max for a netbios domain name so thats OK Windows will have generated it when you created the domain - you should have seen it during the dcpromo process.

Also check both DC and laptop are on same network and have same subnet mask.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-dns.352993/
Relevancy 38.27%

I tried to create a network between my desktop (dell) and my wireless laptop. I got both computers to see each other but when I click on them they give an error that says that they have no rights or privileges. I am logged in as an administrator.

A:home network

<<I tried to create a network between my desktop (dell) and my wireless laptop.>>

Did you use the Network Wizard on each system? After that...did you properly elect to share folders/partitions/drives?

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/267126/home-network/
Relevancy 38.27%

I have three computers at home, using dsl modem w/D-Link wireless router. To make space would it be good idea to run a modem/router combo? If so, what would you suggest for the combo?

A:Home network

To make space would it be good idea to run a modem/router combo?Click to expand...

To make space for what? A modem or router has a footprint of about 3" x 5" standing on end or 5" x 8" horizontal, so it's difficult to reclaim much space. A shelf or shelving unit will probably save all the space that a combo would.

My brother in law made a shelving unit that's not much more than a one foot cube that holds his modem, router, external hard drive, external optical drive and maybe more.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network.1057079/
Relevancy 38.27%

I'm trying to set up a home network for file and printer sharing This network would consist of Vista desktop this is wired to a printer and wireless router XP desktop Laptop I successfully installed this adapter on each of the Vista and the XP desktops up home a network to set Trying Amazon com NETGEAR WN Wireless-N USB Adapter Usb Network Adapters Electronics Then when I try to turn on printer sharing this message displays quot The specified service does not exist as an installed service quot I followed the advice given here Unable to share files error The specified Trying to set up a home network service does not exist - Microsoft Community a I enabled all the services as described b The SFC scan found errors that could not be fixed automatically by Trying to set up a home network the scan To fix them manually requires changing things in the registry which is a little above my experience Is there anything else to check before I go about messing with the registry I did give the same name to the quot workgroups quot on each computer and made the network private as advised Thanks

A:Trying to set up a home network

Please download the Farbar Service Scanner from

Farbar Service Scanner Download

Right-click on the saved file and select 'Run as Administrator', and tick all the options, then click on the Scan button - copy and paste the report to your response.

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/302207-trying-set-up-home-network.html
Relevancy 38.27%

Hello All I had a home network set up with a combo router modem thru ATT that worked great until I switched to Comcast this past weekend Network Home TKO'D I had to go buy a new router from Wally World Netgear N Wireless Dual Band Router since the old one was not compatible Comcast is also charging per month to rent the new one My setup is as follows laptops desktop and wireless all in one printer I went to install the Home Network TKO'D router and Home Network TKO'D followed the setup instructions I started with the desktop and the last couple of steps were insert the CD disc and follow the steps Home Network TKO'D As soon as I click setup it takes me to router connections and I get the following error message quot The Ethernet adapter is either disabled or no Ethernet adapter is installed on this computer Either enable or add an Ethernet adapter and run the application again quot As I stated I started with the desktop Dell first I have checked it several times and the connections from the computer tower to router are good and the connections from the router to the modem are good otherwise I would have no internet I have tried the laptop and I can access the internet from there but when I click on the wireless icon it shows unsecure How am I supposed to set up my home networks securely if I cannot even move pass the setup portion of the CD I tried removing the blue ethernet cable and trying another one and re-booting the desktop computer and nothing helps This desktop was a former business computer and has all kinds of things on it FWIW I think the OS is Windows but I am not sure Can someone help Thanks nbsp

A:Home Network TKO'D

Skip the CD, and just log into the router directly and configure it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-tkod.1041106/
Relevancy 38.27%

Hi Tech Guys

I could do with some help with a wired home network, I will soon have a new Virgin broadband hub which I intend to connect to a TP Link powerline WiFi extender. I have a now defunct netgear router. The question I have is, would it be possible to disable the internet functionality of the netgear router and use it as a wired switch connected to the powerline extender and if so how would this be achieved? Not an expert by any means but have a slightly higher than basic understanding of networking and hardware settings.

Thank you in advance

Relevancy 38.27%

I recently just set up a home network in my house. I have 2 laptops and 1 desktop. The desktop is wired to the the wireless router and my laptops are wifi. I made my network and im pretty sure i did it right. I made the first one on my laptop and put the files that it copies when your done on a removeable disk. I loaded it on the second laptop and it worked! I loaded it on the desktop and it says it worked but i cant see my laptops and my laptops cant see my desktop. When i go on my laptop and go to Workgroup it shows the desktop??? Ive tried everything i dont know whats the problem..
[/SIZE]plz help.

thx alot,
~david

Relevancy 38.27%

Hey guys,
I've got a question about configuring a home network, something I cannot figure out... I have a XP desktop wired to a router with a printer installed and attached to the desktop. I also have a laptop running vista. I would like to share files and print from the vista laptop. Can anybody guide me through the process?? please..
Greetz, Justin

Relevancy 38.27%

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version OS Version Microsoft Windows Home Premium Service Pack bit Processor Intel R Pentium R CPU P GHz Intel Family Model Stepping Processor Count RAM Mb Graphics Card Intel R HD Graphics Home Network Mb Hard Drives C Total - MB Free - MB Motherboard Acer Aspire Z Antivirus Norton Internet Security Updated and Enabled I am Home Network trying to re-establish a home network that worked before Virgin Media supplied me with a new router I want to be able to access the printer and files on the PC from the laptop The printer is connected to the PC All efforts have failed so far My equipment is - a PC with Windows XP linked to the router by Ethernet a laptop with Windows Home linked by wireless a Virgin Media Linksys router Norton security Both computers work satisfactorily independently and can connect to the Internet I have followed the network wizard on the XP machine and transferred the netsetup exe file to the laptop It fails and displays the message - Cannot complete the Network Setup Wizard An error occurred during configuration of the network on this computer You can configure your computer manually or you can run the wizard again with different settings I don t know how to do it manually and I believe the settings are right for my setup Can you help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network.1041295/
Relevancy 38.27%

I seem to be in a jam I was remote desktop-ing to my PC downstairs this morning to download some quot large files quot for later quot review quot All was well All was downloading properly Went to an outing with my family Returned home and all is done Great So i turned off the download client and ended the remote session Finished my day Later tonight wanted to quot review quot my quot files quot over Serviio on my tv oups no serviio Ok no problem remote back into my pc and turn the service on right Oups can't connect to the pc Ok so my pc got rebooted or turned off by network PC on home Cannot see some process go downstairs PC is on and everything looks normal Check a few things turns out Win tried to update itself just about the time i left for the outing and failed So i install the failed updates and reboot Go check on Cannot see PC on home network my other devices Still nothing Now this PC is basically invisible to all the devices on my network No serviio no shared folders no remote desktop nothing Here's what I checked and tried Ensured all the PCs are on the same workgroup Yup Ensured remote desktop is on Yup Ensured all firewalls Win ZA Modem are not blocking anything to that PC Nope All open Changed the workgroup on the PC to something else rebooted changed it back to proper workgroup rebooted Nothing Used Win Troubleshooter and followed steps said nothing is wrong or needs more info Nothing fixed Used wizard Network ID button rebooted still not fixed Anyone have any idea how to bring this PC back on my network It's my main quot server quot for everything media files etc

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/380014-cannot-see-pc-home-network.html
Relevancy 38.27%

I have a desktop that is wired to my dlink wbr 1310. Upstairs I have a desktop for my 12yr old son. And I also have a notebook in my room. The thing is, I'm looking for a software that i can "see" what he is doing in realtime. net lookout or something. Not sure what its called and where i can get it at.

A:Home Network

Sorry, since it's impossible for us to determine the intent here, we don't assist in this kind of activity.

Closed.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network.707187/
Relevancy 38.27%

Hi there,
I am just wondering how to set up a home network with an old computer used as a server... we will have a wii, ps3, lap top, and 2 desktops connected to the network as well as two dell printers. The laptop runs windows XP and the desktops run windows vista. The old computer will will use as a server is windows xp or windows 98 (most likely wont use that computer). What will i have to do to set this up and run the server as well as the network.

Relevancy 38.27%

Hi, I need help setting up a home network.

I have a PC running Windows 7 and an Xbox360 both of which are connected to a router and a dsl connection.

I recently got a second internet connection installed downstairs in the house, I want to use this second connection to be able to share my media(which is stored on my PC) across the whole house(I also want my PC on this network), which are 3 rooms, two with TV's (living room, lounge) and 1 with a laptop(bedroom).

What equipment do I need and how would i go about this efficiently? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A:Need help with home network

as well as the typical WiFi router, you can also extent the net using
this option:

PowerLine HD Ethernet Adapter: http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=533

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/need-help-with-home-network.128664/
Relevancy 38.27%

Ok this has been killing me for ages Let me explain my setup first I have Home network HELP!!! an NTL Virgin now modem the flat silver one with the black face and this old Home network HELP!!! com purple and beige HUB Now if i connect my modem to the HUB via Ethernet in the quot uplink quot port and then connect Home network HELP!!! both my computers to the HUB via ethernet only machine will connect to the internet at a time the other just gets the limited or no connectivity error I have different HUBs and have tried all of them and all get the same result one machine will get internet access while the other gets limited or no connectivity As i said i have the purple and gray port com HUB a Linksys port HUB and an ntl purple port triangle shaped HUB with an attatched ethernet cable So the way i set my internet up now is NTL modem into the downstairs machine via USB then connect both machines up with a HUB but the problem with this is the downstairs computer has to be on for the upstairs one to get online Any ideas whats up I have been told i need an internet access pont but i cant see why simply plugging my modem into the uplink port then connecting both machines to the hub doesnt work Pleaseee help BTW i am using all straight through ethernet cables for my network do i need a crossover to connect my modem to my hub but i dont see how because one machine connects through the Hub with straight through cables Thanks nbsp

A:Home network HELP!!!

You need a router device to share your internet connection. At the moment, the downstairs PC is acting as the router.

Why doesn't it work? Your ISP gives you only one public IP address. A hub is a dumb device and doesn't know anything about TCP/IP and so any PC that manages to get the IP first, pretty much monopolises your connection. A router can do something called NAT, where it translates between one public IP on its uplink port and a number of "private" IP addresses on its local port.

So go buy yourself a home router and connect that to your modem (or use an old PC as a dedicated router). You can connect the hubs to the LAN side of the router to further split up the ethernet side of things if you like.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-help.72759/
Relevancy 38.27%

All of a sudden my wireless network at home is not working. I have a laptop with Linksys wireless-g network adapter. My desktop has the router, they are not very far away from each other. The laptop can't connect to internet. I am running Windows 2000 Pro and just installed Trend PC-Trillan security on the laptop. I am not sure what is causing my wireless adapter to be inactive. Any suggestions?

You said it yourself. The newly installed software has some sort of firewall blocking access.

Also, what do you mean saying "my desktop has the router"?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network.519539/
Relevancy 38.27%

I previously had our home network secured I used a flash drive The flash drive is broken and network home our computer downstairs couldn t always go online so we reset the modem Everything worked but I think we were no longer secure Now we have an iPod iPad and laptop to add to our network I ve tried setting this up again but can t seem to do it Can someone please explain to me how to start from scratch firstly resetting the d-link wireless modem and the Arris router to factory settings The internet cable is plugged into the router An Ethernet cable attaches the modem to the router The laptop is Wi-Fi capable and the Wi-Fi is on The downstairs computer has a wireless USB adapter plugged into it Everything currently has access to the internet so I believe our network isn t secure but I m pretty sure all of the cables are connected properly If our home network is secured I don t think the IPod IPad wouldn t have access I don t even remember the password I used How do I avoid the problem with our downstairs computer causing us to reset our router and thus having an unsecured network So my problems are securing our network to include the IPad and IPod Then I d like to put my wireless printer on the network My next step will be to rebuild a laptop desktop we have and add them to our network Any home network help would be greatly appreciated Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 38.27%

hi i am trying to connect my desktop PC and my laptop together so i can access files etc. both share the same internet connection, the desktop is wired and the laptop is wireless. i have tried using the windows network setup wizard etc, but its not working. Obviously I am doing somethign wrong here, and cant figure out what it is, any help guys? x

hey guys, have just figured it out, i turned off norton firewall and i can access them now. anyone know what settings to change in norton so i dont have to turn it off to access each other??

A:Help with home network!

This article gives some good advice on this issue, and (if you scroll down) lists the ports to open.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/298804

Naturally, using a router (hardware firewall) would eliminate the need for the software firewall. Using a Software firewall is like putting a deadbolt on a cardboard door - worse than useless as it gives you a false sense of security.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-with-home-network.68403/
Relevancy 38.27%

I have 3 computers on home network - vista, windows 7 and windows xp. We were all able to see each other until this morning. Now we can not see vista anymore but windows 7 and xp can still see each other. Vista has Macfee security and had an update last night. I tried turning off Mcafee firewall and this did not solve the problem. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Vista has Macfee security and had an update last night. I tried turning off Mcafee firewall Click to expand...

are you paying for a full version of mcafee or is this a time limited trail?

often mcafee / norton firewalls will block access and need to be removed, often using a removal tool - see below

Have you logged into the firewall settings and ensured the IP range of your network is setup

--------------------------------------------------------------

Mcafee RemovalTool
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507
http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

--------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network.1029197/
Relevancy 38.27%

I have never had a network, and i am lost.

I have a desktop wired to a D-Link DI-624 router, and my laptop is a wireless D-Link DWL-G650 802.11g.
Both computers have Windows XP pro.

I want this network for file transfer.

I ran the windows Network Setup Wizard on both computers.
When I try to view the Workgroup Computers, I get an error:

Mshome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource.

I am logged into a user that has admin rights?

Am I going about this the right way? Maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks.

A:Set-up a home network

Don't you guys ever read the other posts in this forum, or set up a search within that forum-branch?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/set-up-a-home-network.11392/
Relevancy 38.27%

Ok here is the deal.

I have cable Intenet. Currently i have a Lynksys router (4port with wireless)
Between me, my parents, and siblings i have 4 computers already hooked up via hard wire. All of the ports are full.

What i want to do:

Everynow and again a few of my friends and i like to come over to my house and have a mini "lan party" (about five of us not including myself)
So i want to be able to game through our network at home and us all have internet connection. Also it is a must that i can set up file sharing Do i need to set up a computer as a server of some type (i have an "extra" computer)

A:Home Network....Need Help

One way is to buy a switch. You can manually assign ip addresses to each computer you intend to hook up to the switch such as 192.168.1.XXX, xxx being 105 to 200 for instance. You should then all be able to "SEE" each other on the lan.

Have fun

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network-need-help.17757/
Relevancy 38.27%

I have one desktop that is directly connected to my dsl modem and then connected to the router, and another desktop that is connected to the router (cat 5, not wireless). I am trying to set up a network with these, but I'm not having any luck. I run the network setup wizard on both computers (both w/ win xp pro) and it says it is set up, but I can't see files or printers on the other computer. Is there anything else I need to do besides the wizard? Thanks for your help.

Relevancy 38.27%

It s about time I fix my home network I have had lots of difficulty getting my home network to share files printing reliably I have computers on the network wired and wireless They all have no issue connecting to the internet When I have tried pinging them by ip address sometimes I network Help with home get results sometimes I get timeouts Pinging gets results as well as my ip address Please help me make this network actually work Here is some data I gathered Vista Home Premium Local Area Connection Node IpAddress Scope Id NetBIOS Local Name Table Name Type Status --------------------------------------------- NATHANSCOMPUTER Help with home network lt gt UNIQUE Registered FAMILY lt gt GROUP Registered NATHANSCOMPUTER lt gt UNIQUE Registered FAMILY lt E gt GROUP Registered FAMILY lt D gt UNIQUE Registered MSBROWSE Help with home network lt gt GROUP Registered C Users Nathan gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name NATHANSCOMPUTER Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller Physical Address - - -D -EB- Help with home network DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled XP Media Center Edition Wireless Network Connection Node IpAddress Scope Id NetBIOS Local Name Table Name Type Status --------------------------------------------- MOMSCOMPUTER lt gt UNIQUE Registered MOMSCOMPUTER lt gt UNIQUE Registered FAMILY lt gt GROUP Registered C Documents and Settings Mindy MOMSCOMPUTER gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name momscomputer Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Unknown IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G DWL-G Wir eless USB Adapter rev A Physical Address - - -BE- D- Dhcp Enabled No IP Address Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers Vista Home Premium Local Area Connection Node IpAddress Scope Id No names in cache Wireless Network Connection Node IpAddress Scope Id NetBIOS Local Name Table Name Type Status --------------------------------------------- LAPTOP lt gt UNIQUE Registered FAMILY lt gt GROUP Registered LAPTOP lt gt UNIQUE Registered C Users Nathan gt ipconfig all Windows IP Configuration Host Name Laptop Primary Dns Suffix Node Type Hybrid IP Routing Enabled No WINS Proxy Enabled No Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Intel R PRO Wireless ABG Network Con nection Physical Address - B- - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe a d a bc c Preferred IPv Address Preferred Subnet Mask Default Gateway DNS Servers NetBIOS over Tcpip Enabled Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Marvell Yukon E PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller Physical Address -E -B -EB- C- B DHCP Enabled Yes Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap AA B D- D - CC -A A- C E A F br E Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description TO Adapter Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Media State Media disconnected Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface Physical Address - - - - E- DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection Connection-specific DNS Suffix Description isatap E ABAAB-B - D - ACC-EF F br Physical Address - - - - - - -E DHCP Enabled No Autoconfiguration Enabled Yes Link-local IPv Address fe efe Preferred Default Gateway DNS Serve... Read more

Relevancy 38.27%

Hi guys i am new here and hope someone Home Network can help me i am running vista bit ultimate conected to a home network using a linksys usb wireless adapter Home Network when i boot the pc up all goes fine but when i use the internet or try to use the machine it becomes Home Network slow and often get the quot not resonding quot message up when i look in the task manager under the network tab the network utilization is spiking up and down going from to and cpu usage is also quite high after maybe minutes or so the network utilization drops off to about to say depending on what i ask it to do and the pc is blisteringly fast again as if nothing wrong now if i boot the pc up with the adapter unplugged then plug it in after desktop has loaded it finds the connection ok and every thing is normal in the task manager and it Home Network runs ok has anyone got any ideas they will be greatly recieved please go steady as i am not exactly a beginner but still a novice cheers nbsp

Relevancy 38.27%

Just curious is it possible to set up a good wireless network for under $100. I'll need a wireless router, a laptop nic card and a desktop nic card. I appreciate any help.

Thanks

i would have thought so
you can get kits in UK
laptop PCMCIA card arounf 15
Router around 50
Desktop NIC card around 15
so that 80 - which in the US things are loads cheaper

i think newegg is a good place in US - but I'm in UK
have alook for a package deal there

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network.475648/
Relevancy 38.27%

I Help Home Network have a home network My computer is connected wirelessly to the router and I normally get around kbps Home Network Help download speed and an upload speed of kbps There is a range extender range booster that when is connected for another PC in the house I get around kbps download speed and an upload speed of kbps Is it sucking up the bandwidth Also there are computers on Home Network Help the network a laptop running windows Vista Home Premium Desktops Windows XP desktops One of the XP desktops is connected straight to the Home Network Help router via Ethernet cord while the rest are wireless The range extender is for one of the Vista desktops The laptop always uses the router I think So how do I get my connection faster while keeping the range extender My router range extender and whiles card info is here If you need more info just ask Also everything on the network is wireless-g and all of the computers have wireless cards except the wirelessly connected XP computer Attached is some info on the router my wireless card and the range extender nbsp

A:Home Network Help

FWIW, I don't like range extenders for a variety of reasons. I'd do one of two things.

Increase the range of the router using one of the following types of products.

Hawking Tech has a number of products that will help you increase your wireless range. The root page is Hawking Hi-Gain&#8482; WiFi Range Extending Products.

Some of the more interesting products are this Hawking [HSB2] Hi-Gain WiFi Signal Booster, which can be used on either end of a wireless connection to boost the signal power.

Another way to increase your signal strength is by the use of hi-gain antennas. You can choose from omni-directional or directional models, here are a some examples.

Hawking [HAI7SIP] Hi-Gain 7dBi Omni-Directional Antenna

Hawking [HAI15SC] Hi-Gain 15dBi Corner Antenna

[HAO14SD] Outdoor Hi-Gain 14dBi Directional Antenna Kit
This is just a sample of available products, many people have hi-gain antennas with similar specifications, but I haven't seen any other suppliers of signal boosters.

An alternative is to wire to a remote location near the other computers to be serviced and install a secondary router configured as a wireless access point.

Connecting two (or more) SOHO broadband routers together.

Note: The "primary" router can be an actual router, a software gateway like Microsoft Internet Connection Sharing, or a server connection that has the capability to supply more than one IP address using DHCP server capability. No changes are made to the primary "router" configuration.

Configure the IP address of the secondary router(s) to be in the same subnet as the primary router, but out of the range of the DHCP server in the primary router. For instance DHCP server addresses 192.168.0.2 through 192.168.0.100, I'd assign the secondary router 192.168.0.254 as it's IP address, 192.168.0.253 for another router, etc.

Note: Do this first, as you will have to reboot the computer to connect to the router again for the remaining changes.

Disable the DHCP server in the secondary router.

Setup the wireless section just the way you would if it was the primary router, channels, encryption, etc.

Connect from the primary router's LAN port to one of the LAN ports on the secondary router. If there is no uplink port and neither of the routers have auto-sensing ports, use a cross-over cable. Leave the WAN port unconnected!

This procedure bypasses the routing function (NAT layer) and configures the router as a switch (or wireless access point for wireless routers).

For reference, here's a link to a Typical example config using a Netgear router

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network-help.779670/
Relevancy 38.27%

I have to HP desktops (both running Vista), a Gateway desktop (running XP), and a Verizon FIOS router. One of the HP's is connected to the router via wireless while the other two PC's are connected via ethernet cable. All three systems can "see" the router and access the web. However, none of the three PC's can "see" each other. Some of the things I've already done:

1. All three have "share files and printers" turned on.

2. I've created a "Home Network" on one of my HP's but the other two can't see it

3. I've checked my fire wall setting to make sure nothing is blocking the other two PC's.

Looking for suggestions on what other things to check to figure out why the three machines can't see each other.

Regards,

Pete

Relevancy 38.27%

I have Real VNC on my Iphone and I would like to connect to my home laptop when I'm at work. My laptop (Windows Vista) has VNC server.

What steps do i need to do to connect from work to my home network?

A:VNC'ing outside of my home network

You would need to enable port forwarding from your home router to your laptop. I believe VNC uses port 5900, but I would check that first. Then you would need the IP address of your home router (the one supplied by your ISP, not the 192.168.x.x one that your laptop has), and use that IP address to connect.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/vncing-outside-of-my-home-network.1064641/
Relevancy 38.27%

I have several questions about configuring a home network with all computers on Windows XP. We recently got a different ISP and they gave us a new router and modem, and we gave the old modem back etc. Anyways, with our old ISP my uncle set up our network and got it configured and everything. The new ISP shoved all the equipment on us, so I set it up. The wireless network works fine, with everyone on it having internet access.

My questions:
-How do I change the name of the network?
-How do I make it so only my family can access the network? Do I use a WEP key?
-I used to be able to go to My Network Places->Workgroup and view all the computers on our network, including accessing their files (if I knew the password). How do I set this back up?

THank you in advance.

A:XP Home Network

1. To change the name of the network, you would need to change the Workgroup name on the computers. If you mean how do you change the wireless SSID, that needs to be done on the router.

2. Once you get the wireless working, I would recommend adding in at least WEP security.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/xp-home-network.469018/
Relevancy 38.27%

Is it possible to create a network between two homes.

Basically I live with my mother but also have a PC at my father's house and wondered if it was possible for file sharing and such.

The homes are about 1.8 miles apart, one laptop runs Vista Home Premium and the PC runs Vista Home Basic.

Relevancy 38.27%

hello, i have 2 machines, one running 98se and the other xp , just installed a linksys router cabled to the xp machine and a linksys wirless adaptor to the 98se machine. connestion is good, internet fine but a can't share folders. i have file sharing turned on but nothing seems to work. i even installed network magic, it sees the other computer but does not see the shared folder. please help
jeff

Relevancy 38.27%

I have Telstra BigPond Cable internet with I believe a home wireless internet gateway attachment its brand-specific terms for basically My PC is attached via cable because its desktop and Network Home doesnt have wireless capabilities to a netgear wireless router modem thing In my house there are other desktop PCs one which isnt used gb harddrive Home Network old family pc and my brothers has wireless USB attachment to connect to wireless internet and my mum uses a laptop which is wireless connected to the router modem im not sure what to call it I have a ps Home Network in my room which is also wirelessly connected to my network for internet purposes and somehow picks up my brothers computer as a media server possibly because he has it half-set up like that for his xbox And after that long and confusing explanation of my situation here in lies the issue I want to consolidate seems like the right word my home network What can I do by that I mean I want to be able to access files from the old family computer access files on the laptop and other desktop computer and so on amp so forth and if possible include xbox ps in the network Any suggestions are appreciated and if you need me to clarify anything because its fairly confusing just ask and I ll do my best to explain it better than I did above thanks sam nbsp

Well, you appear to have two routers, which will cause issues, which is probably the base problem. Why do you have the second Netgear router? How exactly is that connected to the BigPond wireless gateway?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network.776307/
Relevancy 38.27%

Here is the story Friends mom got a pc yay go to setup the system and its xp home and all hardware is good & LAC home... Network & xp in the system The system loads up fine but it goes to the grey screen ALWAYS even with no cdrom in the drive to choose either windows setup or load windows it has LAC & Network & xp home... a second window to pick if you run setup it crashes and refers to doing a chkdsk f on the system nothing shows on this thing at all in regards to a problem with the drive it thinks either bad drive or viruis either way will probly re-install wondering if its a xphome bug part now the other pc which is brand new its got a nvidia nic card integrated on the board using nforce controller software wow page manual for a nic card has command line interface and everything neat but god overkill anyway the issue on this pc is the LAC and vanished leaving only the ppp dialer for the dsl setup removal and reinstall of the drivers will be done tonight but wonderin if anyone else has had this problem Icegreenhemp nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/lac-network-xp-home.586855/
Relevancy 38.27%

i have two computers that i want on local network so i can share some files. they both run xp and i have had them share files before. but on this computer i had to reformat it completely becuase of a virus. however, i cannt remember how to get the computers back on a network. I cant quite seem to get them to see eachother in a workgroup. the workgroup is the same name. It says i dont have access to it.

Did you enable file and printer sharing on the computer when you reinstalled xp? And share the folders and printers on it that you want to share?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/home-network.372486/
Relevancy 38.27%

hi

can anyone help me set up 2 computers for home networking.
no idea how to do this, I have the cable and I have tried to set it up but nothing..I just cant get to grasps with it!

anyone out there willing to help!? :knock:

INFORMATION Please

What operating system is on these computers? Do you have NICs in them? Do you have a router? What type of cable is it that you have? A crossover cable?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/home-network.26386/
Relevancy 38.27%

I've been going in circles trying to establish my networks between my primary and secondary rigs I have also been going in circles trying Home Network to put together the many tutorials on the forum for this purpose but being that my short term memory is shot the harder that I try the more flustrated that I get I know that it was Home Network recommended to use a public network but not really understanding that I have been going for a home network At the moment on the secondary rig going to the Network window it shows only itself under Computer but it shows both rigs under Media Devices Clicking on Computer only show a Home Network Users folder Previously I had the printer showing on the secondary as a network printer but for some reason that has disappeared and the wizard doesn't find it again On the primary it only sees itself with three items listed both accounts and the computer Click on the computer it shows folders quot d quot quot Users quot quot and Documents quot plus the printer I have tried to use the Homegroup passwords but each time that I try it fails on both rigs I'm not exactly certain what I should see with the network properly working so I'm groping in the dark Anyone have a light

How are your rigs connected to the network?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/58267-home-network.html
Relevancy 38.27%

Hello,

I was just wondering what everyone thought about about the whole networking sceme and how to set up a home network.

I currently have:

Comp #1 connecting straight to internet (cable modem internet) WinXP home
Comp #2 Gaming computer, wanting shared internet, shared files, shared printers with comp #1.
Hub, 4 port hub which is going to connect the computers.
I was thinking of setting up the network so Comp #1 connects to the internet, then the hub connects both computers togethor and shares internet, files, printers etc.
What would be the best way to do this? Just through the Windows XP Home networkin wizard?
Both computers have Windows XP Home SP2, and i have Windows XP home CD.
Thankyou,
Lococard

Relevancy 38.27%

I just got a hp dm3 with W7 and want to connect to my old(2yrs) vista laptop. I think I tried the wrong thing and now can't connect the old one to my wireless router for internet. Any help with this would be great. Also want to setuo home shareing for itunes but it wont work either???

Relevancy 38.27%

Hey guys,
I recently bought a new laptop. Now I wish to connect it to my older one (both are running Vista) through the wireless router so that I can share the files. From research, I've learned how to find the other computers by going to "network" in the start menu. My only problem is, when I go to view the other's files, it asks for a Username and password. I have no idea what kind of username/password it's asking for. Please share any info you might have.
Also, I know that once I do manage to get in, it will only show the files selected to be shared. Do you guys have know how I can browse through all of the files.
Thanks guys,
TBD

http://www.home-network-help.com/sim...e-sharing.html

That will disable the file sharing password

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/home-network-381769.html
Relevancy 38.27%

just got a vaio with windows7 and can't connect to my home network. i can connect to other networks as i've tried at other locations (coffee shops). i checked the manufacturers website to see if my router is compatible (d link wbr 2310) and it says it already is compatible. another forum suggested disabling ms virtual miniport adapter, which i tried, and that solution does not work. both miniport adapter and atheros adapter are updated with most current version.

on top of this, i got a load of BSOD with "driver irql less than..." messages and took the machine back to where i got it for repair. they said they fixed it but i've gotten this one more time.

help, please

If you're getting a BSOD you have a more serious problem. If it's related to the wireless driver something is definitely broken.

Can you record what info shows up on the BSOD? It would help in diagnosing where the problem is.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/57243-home-network.html
Relevancy 38.27%

I have this wierd problem with my homenetwork that I hope someone here has the answer to Im connecting my pc windows ultimate to my ps through a switch the problem described to my best abbility below quot I cant connect my pc to ps through Please with my me home network help my switch while internett is connected quot Here is some facts that might help pinpoint the error -When Im using an app called pms ps media server the PC and PS does find eachother but the streaming stutters and copying does only go mb s when internett is connected so something is limiting it to exactly mb s -When im using the same app without internett connected streaming and copying works fine additionall info -when the internett is connected wmp sharing doesnt connect at all -when the internett is disconnected the wmp PC and PS connects Please help me with my home network but all the video music photo folders appears empty anyway im not gonna use wmp sharing so I would appriciate if someone also tell me how to disable it while makeing media sharing with other applications still work Ive tried disconneccting my firewall and antivirus kaspersky Ive changed possision on the cables connected to the switch Ive recently installed windows week Using a com giga switch Please help me fix this so I can connect pc and ps without having to disconnect internett dont make me go back to xp again or even worse go white witch I did consider after buying vista

A:Please help me with my home network

you need a router not a switch

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/53597-please-help-me-my-home-network.html
Relevancy 38.27%

I want to set my new Notebook up so other computers on my home network can share files. Right now, if I look on the network, I can see it, but not access it.

How do I accomplish that on the new Notebook?

Hello,

Please can you tell me what the error message you get is. Can I please make sure everything is set up correctly, so please humour me.

Right click on the folder you want to share and click Properties. Click the sharing tab and then click Advanced Share. In the advanced sharing dialogue box:

Check Share this folderType a name in Share NameClick PermissionsUnder Everyone, check Full Control under AllowClick OK, then Apply, then OK
If this does not solve the problem,

Click Start then NetworkIn the top of Network, click Network and Sharing CenterMake sure the settings I have circled are exactly the same as mine. If you want password protected sharing, turn it off for now, just to see if we can get it to work. (Click on image to see a larger version of the picture)

Now, if the problem still remains, click Start and in the Search box type "System". Wait for the results to load, and click on "System"

Now make sure that the Workgroup value is the same on both computers (it does not matter if it is different from mine, just make sure they are both the same)

Make sure your Windows is fully up-to-date and your anti-virus software is fully up-to-date on both machines.

Also:

Set up one shared folder on each computer, and see if you can access it from the other computer.

Disable all firewalls TEMPORARILY. This is a security issue, so enable them again afterwards, even if this fixes the issue. We can set up exceptions later.

Make sure the network settings are correct on both computers, it should not make any difference, but it is worth checking.

What Security software are you running? Does it have a built in firewall, and is the firewall enabled? Is the Windows firewall enabled? Is UAC enabled? What are these settings on both computers?
If you have any problems, just post back.

Richard

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/277343-home-network.html
Relevancy 38.27%

I am using a Window Xp desktop and a Vista laptop and would like to be able to share a dial-up internet connection and several business files. Should I set up a network?(If so how because ALL the info I'm finding is for broadband internet connections?)On the shared business files I want to be able to enter the info once and have it saved on both computers.
Any ideas?

Relevancy 38.27%

Hello again I have managed to install my wireless broadband router Well at least partially I would like to ask for help now because I think I've gotten myself into a real mess I have spoken to tech support for Netgear and the gentleman there was not really much help This is the situation I have a Netgear wireless modem router attached to my phone line and the Ethernet port on my computer My network adapter is Intel R CD Gigabit Network Connection I plugged the router in connected it to the phone line attached it to the Ethernet port Help with home new please network and turned it on I answered all the questions and changed my admin name SSID and provided a password I pu the installation CD in the drive on my desktop and answered all the questions I put in my ISP settings and I was on the internet I found it a bit funny that no drivers got installed and Vista didn't quack about new hardware I then installed a network adapter on my laptop It installed fine and detected the wireless modem and i am on the Help with new home network please internet with that as well Now my problem From the Network and Sharing Center I can't see the wireless network I can see the network and mylaptop from a program called Intel Viiv Media Server but am unable to do anything but see it I tried to 'set up a wireless connection' from the Network and Sharing Center but it wants a username and password which in spite of the fact that i wrote everything down really carefully don't work Help Thanks

A:Help with new home network please

Originally Posted by Peppurr101

BACKGROUND INFO:
------------------------------
I plugged the router in, connected it to the phone line, attached it to the Ethernet port and turned it on.
I put in my ISP settings and I was on the internet. <=== computer-1?

I then installed a network adapter on my laptop. It installed fine and detected the wireless modem and i am on the internet with that as well. <=== computer-2?

PROBLEM INFO:
-----------------------
Now, my problem.
From the Network and Sharing Center, I can't see the wireless network. I can see the network (and mylaptop) from a program called Intel Viiv Media Server, but am unable to do anything but see it.
I tried to 'set up a wireless connection' from the Network and Sharing Center but it wants a username and password which, in spite of the fact that i wrote everything down really carefully, don't work.

Hi Peppurr101,

Not that I will be able to help but maybe if you clarify your post, someone else might.

From your BACKGROUND INFO, it appears that you have two computers.
Computer-1 is hard wired to your router/modem.
Computer-2 is wireless.
Both work fine with the internet.

From your PROBLEM INFO,
?From the Network and Sharing Center, I can't see the wireless network. I can see the network (and mylaptop) from a program called Intel Viiv Media Server, but am unable to do anything but see it.?
--- It appeared from your background info that your laptop computer-2 was ?on the internet with that as well?. Confusing to me at least.

It would be helpful to clarify
how many computers,
what operating system is each one running,
which ones are wired and which ones are wireless,
which ones work with the internet and which ones don?t.

Sky

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/244863-help-new-home-network-please.html
Relevancy 38.27%

Hey there I am planning on creating a network in my house I have already got all the Cat e cables running around the rooms but now I need to find the equipment that will use all the cables I have the following choice of components for what I need and I am just wondering whether this setup will work for what I need What I am going to buy Netgear Prosafe GS -Port switch - http www ebuyer com product Netgear RND Readynas Duo - http www ebuyer com product Netgear Wireless-N Universal range extender - http www ebuyer com product Now what I want to do is the following Firstly I want to have my BT broadband plugged into the network switch so that all the computers connected to it will be able to get internet I also want the Netgear NAS Help home with network storage plugged into the network switch so that all the computers can have access to the storage on that To sum this up I want internet and storage to all the computers in the house The next thing I want to try and do is connect a wireless router to the network switch so that tv s and Blu-ray players that have Wi-Fi can Help with home network connect and get Help with home network all the online radios and also the NAS storage What I hope to be able to do is play the films music and pictures from the NAS and to the TV s and Blu-Ray players I have included a Help with home network crudely drawn plan of the setup that I would like to achieve Any help and information on this would be greatly appreciated Thanking in advance Jack-O-Bytes nbsp

Relevancy 38.27%

Can any one tell me if this will work with XP Home? :

19 computers in total, 1 as the main Computer with Internet cafe Software and 10 Clients by LAN cable and 8 Clients by Wireless.
I have succeeded with XP Pro so I know how to do it but I read on Microsofts website that networks above 5 computers is not recommended??? Is this just for serious business networks? as I will only be using basic networking ie. Internet and printing.

Thanks
Reason is the cost of 19 licenses is a killer!!! XP Home = saving pennies

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/network-on-xp-home.581367/
Relevancy 38.27%

I have successfully networked my third computer to the internet (via wireless router) but I cannot include it in the existing MSHOME workgroup. I get MSHOME access denied errors. I used the network wizard and can see the new computer as well as the first two, on the host of the network and on the second laptop but cannot see any of the computers on the new laptop (using View Workgroup computers). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Relevancy 38.27%

I have a simple (wireless) network set up at home and a printer connected to a computer through USB that is shared. We use Windows XP Pro w/ SP2. When I first set up I put in a password to access the "main" computer and now this access must time out or something. We encounter printing problems when trying to print from other computers on the network. I have to go it to My Network Places, view workgroups and double click on the "main" computer and enter an ID and password almost every time we print. I want to disable this password and keep the connect open all of the time.

Thank you