Windows Support Forum

Laptop freezing and taking 1-day to format

Q: Laptop freezing and taking 1-day to format

Hi all I put another thread up yesterday as when I plug laptop in to external monitor the colour goes red and blue but only this week it started it has been fine up till now.

but now I noticed I go on to desk top and try to do anything and it freezes so I decided to use the onboard factory format that was at 6pm yesterday and its still only on 64% and its now be running 16 hours something seriously wrong is it ram hard drive or cpu .. all help appreciated

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Laptop freezing and taking 1-day to format

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Laptop freezing and taking 1-day to format

Can anyone help please.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-freezing-and-taking-1-day-to-format.193104/
Relevancy 64.93%

I am having one heck of a time with our Laptop constantly Windows up start to up and FOREVER taking XP freezing Dell laptop It is used mostly by my husband for reading and I occasionally use it to check email and Facebook I ve wanted to add some memory to it for awhile now but recently we have encounter a really annoying problem It takes FOREVER and I do mean FOREVER to get the laptop to start up I ve checked the start-up folder I ve run Avast on full scan and Malwarebytes and STILL can t seem to fix the problem As far as I know the computer is updated and we don t use Internet Explorer The husband uses Mozilla and I use Google Chrome I am at a loss It will also freeze up take forever to close down and sometimes just refuse to do anything I haven t gotten any error messages no warnings I recently defragged it too It can take a maddening long time to even get the browser of choice to open up It is getting so frustrating that I am ready to just toss it against the wall I plan on giving my husband this laptop for his full Windows XP Laptop taking FOREVER to start up and constantly freezing up time use since all he does is read on the internet and getting myself something more versatile However I wouldn t give this laptop to our puppy right now in the state it is in I realize this was never a speedy machine but this is ridiculous Any help would be greatly appreciated P S I have also run Ccleaner too

A:Windows XP Laptop taking FOREVER to start up and constantly freezing up

Hello, were the malware scans finding and removing anything?Lets see if this shows us something.Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it. Checkmark the following checkboxes: Flush DNS Report IE Proxy Settings Reset IE Proxy Settings Report FF Proxy Settings Reset FF Proxy Settings List content of Hosts List IP configuration List Winsock Entries List last 10 Event Viewer log List Installed Programs List Devices List Users, Partitions and Memory size. List Minidump FilesClick Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run. Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/443418/windows-xp-laptop-taking-forever-to-start-up-and-constantly-freezing-up/
Relevancy 53.75%

In recent replies, i have tried file>import> messages> microsoft outlook, but my machine with winxp os and outlook express in it cann't find any data in it. Better if you give it in detail, it will be very helpful for me.
In another way, i cann't understand how i can copy .pst messages of microsoft outlook in winxp better saying outlook express. Please give it in details. I need it to be done any way. I am waiting for your reply.
I have already kept backup of microsoft outlook messages( in .pst format) in another drive of my computer with microsoft outlook in it running with windows 7 os. Please give some solutions in details.

A:Regarding taking backup of .pst format to .dbx ormat in oe

you already have asked the question here
http://forums.techguy.org/web-email/1105003-how-take-backup-pst-format.html
and have not replied

please reply to the other thread and give further details

closing this thread

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/regarding-taking-backup-of-pst-format-to-dbx-ormat-in-oe.1105399/
Relevancy 53.75%

My neighbor's laptop hdd seemed not to be working right, he had left the laptop in the closet for 2 years anyway, so it seemed not a loss to run a utility that might bring the hdd back [might not], so I started the low level hdd pre-format from a disc I had been given.

That was about a month ago, and the 250 gb hdd is still not done. Should it really take this long, or is the hdd totalled?

A:Low level HDD pre-format taking too long

What kind of utility are you using to format a drive? One month is way too long. Full format on 250GB drive should take a couple of hours at most.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/231056-low-level-hdd-pre-format-taking-too-long.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi My computer is consistently freezing windows and when it does work is taking forever To open a programme can take half & forever Taking Freezing an hour and because it does not show it s doing anything can then get trapped trying to open the same programme several times as you think it froze again before you got to click Writing a minute email reply can take ver an hour There seems to be a lot of stuff running in the background according to Hijack this and was wondering whether that was the problem Freezing & Taking forever Can someone suggest something before my partner really does just throw the computer in frustration Here is my log Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at a m on Platform Windows ME Win x MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS SYSTEM KERNEL DLL C WINDOWS SYSTEM MSGSRV EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM SPOOL EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM MPREXE EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM MSTASK EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM SSDPSRV EXE C PROGRAM FILES COMMON FILES EPSON EBAPI SAGENT EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM RPCSS EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM mmtask tsk C WINDOWS SYSTEM RESTORE STMGR EXE C WINDOWS EXPLORER EXE C WINDOWS TASKMON EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM SYSTRAY EXE C PROGRAM FILES MOUSEWARE SYSTEM EM EXEC EXE C WINDOWS LOADQM EXE C PROGRAM FILES NORTON ANTIVIRUS NAVAPW EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM QTTASK EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM WMIEXE EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM HIDSERV EXE C PROGRAM FILES AHEAD INCD INCD EXE C INTEL INTEL PSNCU CPUNUMBER EXE C WINDOWS PLAXO INSTALLSTUB EXE C PGSCANC XCM EXE C WINDOWS SYSTEM DDHELP EXE C MY DOCUMENTS HIJACKTHIS EXE R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www a k co nz servlet a k page login R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Microsoft Internet Explorer provided by Amcom Net R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyServer http proxy amcom co nz ftp proxy amcom co nz gopher proxy amcom co nz R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride amcom co nz lt local gt O - BHO BrowserHelper Class - EBCDDA - A - D Freezing & Taking forever - A - CFB C - C WINDOWS SYSTEM NZDD DLL O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar amp Kangaroo - C -E - D -B AE- B Freezing & Taking forever C B D - C IDC WEBKA DLL O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar amp Radio - E - F- D - E- A C - C WINDOWS SYSTEM MSDXM OCX O - HKLM Run ScanRegistry C WINDOWS scanregw exe autorun O - HKLM Run TaskMonitor C WINDOWS taskmon exe O - HKLM Run PCHealth C WINDOWS PCHealth Support PCHSchd exe -s O - HKLM Run SystemTray SysTray Exe O - HKLM Run LoadPowerProfile Rundll exe powrprof dll LoadCurrentPwrScheme O - HKLM Run EM EXEC C PROGRA MOUSEW SYSTEM EM EXEC EXE O - HKLM Run Hidserv Hidserv exe run O - HKLM Run RealJukeboxSystray quot C PROGRAM FILES REAL REALJUKEBOX tsystray exe quot O - HKLM Run LoadQM loadqm exe O - HKLM Run NAV Agent C PROGRA NORTON NAVAPW EXE O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C WINDOWS SYSTEM QTTASK EXE quot -atboottime O - HKLM Run Symantec NetDriver Monitor C PROGRA SYMNET SNDMON EXE O - HKLM Run InCD C Program Files Ahead InCD InCD exe O - HKLM RunServices LoadPowerProfile Rundll exe powrprof dll LoadCurrentPwrScheme O - HKLM RunServices SchedulingAgent mstask exe O - HKLM RunServices SSDPSRV C WINDOWS SYSTEM ssdpsrv exe O - HKLM RunServices StateMgr C WINDOWS System Restore StateMgr exe O - HKLM RunServices SAgent ExePath C Program Files Common Files EPSON EBAPI SAgent exe O - HKLM RunServices ScriptBlocking quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared Script Blocking SBServ exe quot -reg O - HKCU Run IntelProcNumUtility quot C Intel Intel PSNCU CpuNumber exe quot nosplash O - HKCU Run MoneyAgent quot C Program Files Microsoft Money System Money Express exe quot O - HKCU Run RealJukeboxSystray C PROGRAM FILES REAL REALJUKEBOX TSYSTRAY EXE O - HKCU Run MsnMsgr quot C Program Files MSN Me... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/freezing-taking-forever.291033/
Relevancy 51.17%

Hi everytime i start up my PC it takes atleast mins to load Any when ever i open a programme it takes days well minutes then it just freezes Here is my log start freezing. and too is keeps 2 long up Pc taking My Thanks Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exe My Pc is taking too long 2 start up and keeps freezing. C WINDOWS system LEXBCES EXE C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C WINDOWS system LEXPPS EXE C My Pc is taking too long 2 start up and keeps freezing. Program Files Grisoft AVG Anti-Spyware guard exe C Program Files ewido anti-malware ewidoctrl exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system Wt exe exe C Program Files Wireless LAN Utility tiwlnsvc exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Dell Media Experience PCMService exe C Program Files Intel Modem Event Monitor IntelMEM exe C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe C WINDOWS system wuauclt exe C Program Files Lexmark series lxbtbmgr exe C WINDOWS system bcmwltry exe C Program Files Lexmark series lxbtbmon exe C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exe C Program Files Wireless LAN Utility TIWLANCu exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C WINDOWS system tblmouse exe C Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exe C utorrent exe C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMBgMonitor exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMIndexStoreSvr exe C Program Files InterVideo Common Bin WinCinemaMgr exe C PROGRA MOZILL FIREFOX EXE C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files MSN Messenger usnsvc exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM notepad exe C HJT HijackThis exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http us rd yahoo com customize ie ch search html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com O - Hosts auto search msn com O - Hosts auto search msn es O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll file missing O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run PCMService quot C Program Files Dell Media Experience PCMService exe quot O - HKLM Run IntelMeM C Program Files Intel Modem Event Monitor IntelMEM exe O - HKLM Run dla C WINDOWS system dla tfswctrl exe O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - HKLM Run ccRegVfy C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccRegVfy exe O - HKLM Run CPQHotkeys hotkeysvc exe O - HKLM Run LXBTCATS rundll C WINDOWS System spool DRIVERS W X LXBTtime dll RunDLLEntry O - HKLM Run Lexmark series quot C Program Files Lexmark series lxbtbmgr exe quot O - HKLM Run bcmwltry bcmwltry exe O - HKLM Run removecpl RemoveCpl exe O - HKLM Run Symantec NetDriver Monitor C PROGRA SYMNET SNDMon exe Consumer O - HKLM Run RecoverFromReboot C WINDOWS Temp RecoverFromReboot exe O - HKLM Run workflow D installs workflow exe O - HKLM R... Read more

A:My Pc is taking too long 2 start up and keeps freezing.

Forgot 2 mention that i have done all the request virus scans and checks.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/my-pc-is-taking-too-long-2-start-up-and-keeps-freezing-147151.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I don't know if it's due to a virus or what Please help Thanks in advance Drwtsn32.exe Freezing And And Explorer.exe Taking Keeps Up Cpu Usage On Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C WINDOWS System smss exeC WINDOWS system Explorer.exe And Drwtsn32.exe Keeps On Freezing And Taking Up Cpu Usage winlogon exeC WINDOWS system services exeC WINDOWS system lsass exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC WINDOWS system svchost exeC Program Explorer.exe And Drwtsn32.exe Keeps On Freezing And Taking Up Cpu Usage Files Sygate SPF smc exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast aswUpdSv exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashServ exeC WINDOWS system spoolsv exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDServ exeC Program Files Common Files Real Update OB realsched exeC WINDOWS system rundll exeC PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exeC WINDOWS system RunDLL exeC Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exeC Program Files Google Gmail Notifier gnotify exeC Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exeC WINDOWS system ctfmon exeC Program Files Logitech Desktop Messenger Program LogitechDesktopMessenger exeC Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr ExeC Program Files Skype Phone Skype exeC Program Files Veoh Networks Veoh VeohClient exeC Program Files eMule eMule exeC WINDOWS system nvsvc exeC WINDOWS System svchost exeC Program Files Viewpoint Common ViewpointService exeC Program Files Logitech SetPoint SetPoint exeC Program Files Common Files Logitech KhalShared KHALMNPR EXEC Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashMaiSv exeC Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashWebSv exeC Program Files Google Google Desktop Search GoogleDesktop exeC Program Files Skype Plugin Manager skypePM exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC Program Files Trillian trillian exeC Program Files ASUS PC Probe II Probe exeC WINDOWS system drwtsn exeC WINDOWS system drwtsn exeC WINDOWS system drwtsn exeC WINDOWS explorer exeC Documents and Settings Ashley Jiang Desktop HiJackThis exeR - URLSearchHook YOK Search Class - CEF-BAC - A B- - A E F - C PROGRA YOK com SUPERS YOK SuperSearch dll file missing O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dllO - BHO no name - CB BF -BBAE- A - F - FF D - C PROGRA Inbox ctbr dllO - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dllO - BHO QQIEHelper - EBD A- BC - B- A- A CA - C Program Files Tencent QQ QQIEHelper dllO - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C PROGRA MICROS Office GRA E DLLO - BHO oo - FE B A-D A - EFA-AC -ADC C - C PROGRA YOK com SUPERS YOK SuperSearch dll file missing O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dllO - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO ActivationManager module - A EF - FC- e -A -B F F F - C Program Files ActivationManager ActivationManager dllO - BHO no name - A D - CF - A -A D- F D - no file O - Toolbar amp Inbox Toolbar - B EA- - DC -A FC- F D - C PROGRA Inbox ctbr dllO - Toolbar Veoh Browser Plug-in - D - - -A B -AEFAF AB - C Program Files Veoh Networks Veoh Plugins reg VeohToolbar dllO - Toolbar oo - F BB -FFEF- -B - B AD ADA - C PROGRA YOK com SUPERS YOK SuperSearch dll file missing O - HKLM Run IMJPMIG quot C WINDOWS IME imjp IMJPMIG EXE quot Spoil RemAdvDef Migration O - HKLM Run PHIME ASync C WINDOWS System IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE SYNCO - HKLM Run PHIME A C WINDOWS System IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE IMENameO - HKLM Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL EXE C WINDOWS system NvCpl dll NvStartupO - HKLM Run nwiz nwiz exe installO - HKLM Run PRONoMgrWired C Program Files Intel PROSetWired NCS PROSet PRONoMgr exeO - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run RemoteControl quot C Program Files CyberLink PowerDVD PDVDSer... Read more

A:Explorer.exe And Drwtsn32.exe Keeps On Freezing And Taking Up Cpu Usage

Welcome to the BleepingComputer HijackThis Logs and Analysis forum teenslayerMy name is Richie and i'll be helping you to fix your problems.If you've already recieved help at another forum and your issues have been resolved,or you're presently recieving help elsewhere then please let us know.If you have not followed the info in the link below prior to posting your log then please do so now:Preparation Guide for use before posting a HijackThis Log:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/If you still require help,please post a new Hijackthis log into this topic in your next reply.Also post a detailed description of the issues you're experiencing.*Note*Post all reports/logs directly into this topic,not as attachments,thanks.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/129645/explorerexe-and-drwtsn32exe-keeps-on-freezing-and-taking-up-cpu-usage/
Relevancy 50.74%

I took out the video card and uninstalled the drivers I got integrated graphics back. The computer is still freezing all fans are working properly as far as I know. I was wondering since we ruled out fans and video card can the hard drive be going? The computer is only 4 months old.

A:computer still freezing even after taking out video card.

Well to check the harddrive you can download the diagnostic tool that most manufacturers offer.
I'd also run Memtest86 to make sure you dont have any issues with memory.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/computer-still-freezing-even-after-taking-out-video-card-51615.html
Relevancy 49.02%

i have been trying to fix my laptop (dell studio xps 15'') for the past 4 days. it takes 1 hour 30 min to start. and then when finally it gets into windows it suddenly crashes.
i tried to do the disabling services and restart but i kept getting win32k.sys BSOD after waiting for 1.3 hours (before the logon screen is displayed).
moreover accessing SAFE mode was difficult since the BSOD keeps appearing there too.

had used windows recovery disk to do startup repairs but even that didn't help.(unknown bugcheck 1000008e is what it showed and resolved)
finally i tried "windows memory diagnostic tool" and luckily after again 1.3 hours after the completion of the test, i could access windows.
i tried many times before to save a restore point but it gets deleted after a restart.

Am attaching the sfc log along with the other essentials you would require.

Thank you for your patience.

http://www.vistax64.com/crashes-debugging/304287-boot-time-taking-1-3-hours-load-followed-frequent-freezing-crashes.html
Relevancy 48.59%

I am constintly on line for work submitting information. My computer has gotten progressivly slower and is now just locking up completely. Making it impossible to do my job efficeintly. I do not want to waste money on these "finally fast" sites. What can I do?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-professional-internet-freezing-and-taking-long-time-to-load-pages.893153/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi Guys I ve tried a google of my problem but its quite specific so nothing has turned format during Freezing up I m selling an old years old pc I want to format the hdd before I get rid Freezing during format of it It is running xp Freezing during format So this is what I ve done so far Put the XP disc in and changed the boot up order so that it boots Freezing during format from the cdrom Everything worked fine at this stage - the blue screen comes up it loads a few files and then asks me to press enter to set up windows xp Next screen shows the c partition which I highlight and then press d to delete It moves to the next screen where I have to press L to confirm that I want to delete Now the problem starts a message comes up with quot please wait quot at the bottom of the screen hours later it is still stuck on this screen I thought I should leave a while just to make sure it wasn t doing something The only way I could get out of this was by pressing the reset button on the pc Now I have problems If I let the pc boot up normally as if I just want to get into xp it gets through the initial dos stuff and then just hangs with a black screen It doesnt even get as far as the screen where I can press f to start it in safe mode If I try and boot it from the xp installation disc it appears to work normally as the blue screen comes up and it starts going through various file loading processes but when it gets to the message quot starting windows quot it just freezes and doesn t go any further I tried booting it from my Vista disc as well for my new pc but it does the same thing freezing on the quot starting windows quot bit So then what can I do Is there some other way to force a format of the hdd and then to install xp again Thanks for taking the time to read all this and for any help offered Ian nbsp

A:Freezing during format

you might need to format using a hard disk utility before installing windows.
look for " Ultimate Boot Cd, and download and burn iso image to a cd and boot from that and select " hard drive utilities"
hope that will help.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/freezing-during-format.813256/
Relevancy 48.16%

Tried formatting the computer (for the 4th time in 3 weeks ) and whilst Xp was installing its stuff, it decided to freeze itself with 34 minutes left. Resetted it twice now but still freezes at the same part. I cannot exit the install (or do not know how to) Can somebody help? With the repair it requires an administrator password, which I doubt there is any password for.

A:XP freezing during format

Go to your hard drive Manufactures website. download and run the diagnostic software. Sounds like your drive going bad.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/xp-freezing-during-format-507319.html
Relevancy 46.87%

I m currently running XP x sp The computer was bought in August of format after reinstallation random after freezing and and ran just fine until about a month ago Things would randomly freeze up for a few minutes It would get to the point where it random freezing after reinstallation and after format d be impossible to open any programs or even move the cursor Sometimes the cursor would freeze up but if I moved the mouse around it d seem like the cursor was actually moving -- like if I mouse over a link in FF the link would show on the status bar but the cursor would not actually move over the link So anyway I booted into safe mode and tried out a few things I ran some virus scanners - avast TrendMicro and Panda Also did adaware and Spybot and also hijack this Nothing seemed out of the ordinary Tried reinstalling Windows without a format my DVD drive had magically stopped working Things ran fine for about a day Finally got my drive working again and formatted the drive to do a fresh installation I ve had it going for two days now and it s started again I though it could ve been something I installed but I did a system restore to the exact time of the format and it s still messing up I have other hard drives that have been scanned and nothing is found Could this be any sort of hardware My experience has been with the software aspect so I don t know what to begin with inside the box I could really use some advice quickly because my work depends on my PC Anymore info needed I can provide Thanks nbsp

A:random freezing after reinstallation and after format

No suggestions?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/random-freezing-after-reinstallation-and-after-format.826402/
Relevancy 46.87%

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Unknown Windows WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode NormalRunning processes C Windows System smss exeC Windows system csrss exeC Windows system wininit exeC Windows system csrss exeC Windows system winlogon exeC Windows system services exeC Windows system lsass exeC Windows system lsm exeC Windows system svchost exeC Program Files to freezing while old reverting format 7 Windows Webroot WebrootSecurity WRConsumerService exeC Windows system svchost exeC Windows system Ati evxx exeC Windows System svchost exeC Windows System svchost exeC Windows system svchost exeC Windows system svchost exeC Windows system Ati evxx exeC Windows system svchost exeC Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWService exeC Windows System spoolsv exeC Windows system svchost exeC Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exeC Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exeC Program Files ESET Windows 7 reverting to old format while freezing ESET Smart Security ekrn exeC Windows system svchost exeC Windows system sppsvc exeC Windows system svchost exeC Program Files Webroot WebrootSecurity SpySweeper exeC Windows system taskhost exeC Windows system Dwm exeC Windows Explorer EXEC Windows system wbem unsecapp exeC Windows system wbem wmiprvse exeC Program Files Windows Sidebar sidebar exeC Program Files Java jre bin jusched exeC Program Files ESET ESET Smart Security egui exeC Windows system SearchIndexer exeC Program Files Microsoft Office Office GrooveMonitor exeC Program Files Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exeC Program Files Brother Brmfcmon BrMfcWnd exeC Program Files Webroot WebrootSecurity SpySweeperUI exeC Program Files Brother ControlCenter brccMCtl exeC Program Files Siber Systems AI RoboForm robotaskbaricon exeC Program Files AIM aim exeC Program Files PeerBlock peerblock exeC Program Files Brother Brmfcmon BrMfcmon exeC Program Files SUPERAntiSpyware SUPERAntiSpyware exeC Program Files iPod bin iPodService exeC Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static MOM exeC Program Files ATI Technologies ATI ACE Core-Static CCC exeC Program Files Webroot WebrootSecurity SSU EXEC Program Files Lavasoft Ad-Aware AAWTray exeC Windows system svchost exeC Windows System sdclt exeC Program Files Java jre bin jucheck exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exeC Program Files Fluendo Moovida spointer moovida air exeC Program Files Mozilla Firefox plugin-container exeC Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exeC Windows system NOTEPAD EXEC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exeC Windows system notepad exeC Windows system SearchProtocolHost exeC Windows system DllHost exeC Windows system SearchFilterHost exeR - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride localR - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName O - BHO no name - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - no file O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dllO - BHO RoboForm - d a - d - d - - e a - C Program Files Siber Systems AI RoboForm roboform dllO - BHO Groove GFS Browser Helper - - C - D -B F - BBC D A E - C PROGRA MICROS Office GR A DLLO - BHO Ask Toolbar BHO - D C F- A- -A AD- D - C Program Files Ask com GenericAskToolbar dllO - BHO Java Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A ... Read more

A:Windows 7 reverting to old format while freezing

Hi,Welcome to Bleeping Computer. My name is m0le and I will be helping you with your log.Please subscribe to this topic, if you haven't already. You can subscribe by clicking the Options box to the right of your topic title and selecting Track This Topic.Please avoid installing/uninstalling or updating any programs and attempting any unsupervised fixes or scans. This can make helping you impossible.Please reply to this post so I know you are there.The forum is busy and we need to have replies as soon as possible. If I haven't had a reply after 3 days I will bump the topic and if you do not reply by the following day after that then I will close the topic.Once I receive a reply then I will return with your first instructions.Thanks

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/351410/windows-7-reverting-to-old-format-while-freezing/
Relevancy 46.01%

I have been having issues with ESET (update username and password regularly but had a 1 week period where it was inactive, I reactivated it and it found and deleted 4 trojans from torrent files but keeps notifying me of a Trojan it says it quarantined. I can?t find the name of it now in the files, but lately my computer has been slow and also freezing, it will freeze for 15 to 40 seconds and during this time frame my Windows 7 format returns to the old, gray box style format of Windows 97 or earlier. Like the very square edges, gray taskbar with black font type style. Now, IE is stuck that way at the top, the format looks like the old version of Windows.

I am normally good at removing viruses if I know what they are, but this has got me boggled. Any ideas/suggestions?

A:Windows 7 reverting to old format while freezing, trojans, very slow

hi ,did you check out the spyware removal tab top of this page or the security section here .http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum79.html

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/350619/windows-7-reverting-to-old-format-while-freezing-trojans-very-slow/
Relevancy 46.01%

Hi
I've recently encountered some serious cooling issues with my dv7 2195 eo. I would like to dismantle my laptop so that i could clean my heatsink and apply some thermal paste onto the cpu. I havent found aguide on google. Also dont tell me that i will screw up my computer cause i really dont care if i do. Also only cleaning the fan didnt work.

Thanks.

Relevancy 46.01%

I have taken the screws out and have seperated the case. Problem is the is a flat cable that attaches the screen to the video port and the MOBO how do these seperate to take unit fully a part. Pics or illustrations would be great. Visual learner LOL thanks Bill

A:Taking laptop apart

Each laptop is differently constructed. What is the brand and model of what you are attempting to disassemble?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/taking-laptop-apart.76379/
Relevancy 45.58%

Hi all This is my first post and I am so thankful I found this forum My laptop in the past - days has been freezing up I have not downloaded anything in that timeframe scan & Laptop up virus freezing freezing At first it was when Laptop freezing up & virus scan freezing there was no activity for a while and the screen would just go black and I would have to manually restart the pc Now the freezing is more regular and it freezes without going Laptop freezing up & virus scan freezing black but still I have to manually restart I have F-Secure virus updated and during a full scan it Laptop freezing up & virus scan freezing freezes I downloaded Malwarebytes and it also freezes in full scan I believe they are both freezing in the same spot c windows winsxs x security-malware-windows-defender I tried to target scan just that area and it freezes I did a quick scan with Malwarebytes and this is what it found Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Database version Windows Service Pack AM mbam-log- - - - - txt Scan type Quick Scan Objects scanned Time elapsed minute s second s Memory Processes Infected Memory Modules Infected Registry Keys Infected Registry Values Infected Registry Data Items Infected Folders Infected Files Infected Memory Processes Infected No malicious items detected Memory Modules Infected No malicious items detected Registry Keys Infected HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Ext Stats ca ed -f fb- -a - e Adware BHO - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully HKEY CURRENT USER SOFTWARE Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Ext Stats d db d - ec - a -bd - e e bb Adware MyWebSearch - gt Quarantined and deleted successfully Registry Values Infected No malicious items detected Registry Data Items Infected No malicious items detected Folders Infected No malicious items detected Files Infected No malicious items detected I downloaded Hijackthis and scanned Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Windows System igfxtray exe C Windows System hkcmd exe C Program Files Apoint K Apoint exe C Program Files Intel Intel Matrix Storage Manager IAAnotif exe C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin HpqSRmon exe C Program Files COGECO Security Services Common FSM EXE C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Brownie BrStsWnd exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LightScribeControlPanel exe C Windows system igfxsrvc exe C Windows System mobsync exe C Windows ehome ehtray exe C Program Files DAEMON Tools Pro DTProAgent exe C Windows ehome ehmsas exe C ProgramData iWin Games DesktopAlerts DesktopAlerts exe C Program Files Brownie Brnipmon exe C Program Files Apoint K ApMsgFwd exe C Program Files Apoint K Apntex exe C Program Files COGECO Security Services FSGUI fsguidll exe C Windows system Taskmgr exe C Program Files Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbam exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Program Files Internet Explorer ieuser exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Windows system Macromed Flash FlashUtil a exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www google ca R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale en ca amp c amp bd Presario amp pf laptop R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolba... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-freezing-up-virus-scan-freezing.790030/
Relevancy 45.58%

I have been having issues with ESET (update username and password regularly but had a 1 week period where it was inactive, I reactivated it and it found and deleted 4 trojans from torrent files but keeps notifying me of a Trojan it says it quarantined. I can?t find the name of it now in the files, but lately my computer has been slow and also freezing, it will freeze for 15 to 40 seconds and during this time frame my Windows 7 format returns to the old, gray box style format of Windows 97 or earlier. Like the very square edges, gray taskbar with black font type style. It also will open ads in Internet explorer in this old format of windows, things like working from home and consumer reports online.org site. It know it probably came from a torrent but eset isn't finding anything anymore.

Any ideas/suggestions? Idk what antivirus to get to try and find this thing.

A:Windows 7 reverting to old format while freezing, opens ads in IE, Eset finding nothing

I would run malwarebytes and superantispyware. If that don't work try some online antivirus scanners. Also check your startup items in msconfig to see if anything suspicious is running in the background

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/351004/windows-7-reverting-to-old-format-while-freezing-opens-ads-in-ie-eset-finding-nothing/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi Somehow I ended up with a spyware called Spysheriff It shows up everytime I boot the machine over laptop.... taking Spysheriff my I did the things written in the post what to do before I post a hijackthis log Please help me resolve this Here is the HijackThis log file analyzed by HijackThis Analyzer Log was analyzed using KRC HijackThis Analyzer - Updated on Get updates at http www greyknight com download htm programs Security Programs Detected Spysheriff taking over my laptop.... C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exe Spysheriff taking over my laptop.... C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe C Program Files Norton AntiVirus IWP NPFMntor exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe O - BHO NAV Helper - BDF E -B - AD-A -FADC B - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - Toolbar Norton AntiVirus - CDD BF- FFB- - AD - DF B D - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus NavShExt dll O - HKLM Run NAV Agent C PROGRA NORTON navapw exe O - HKLM Run ccApp quot C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccApp exe quot O - Service Symantec Event Manager ccEvtMgr - Symantec Corporation - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccEvtMgr exe O - Service Symantec Password Validation ccPwdSvc - Symantec Corporation - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccPwdSvc exe O - Service Symantec Settings Manager ccSetMgr - Symantec Corporation - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared ccSetMgr exe O - Service Norton AntiVirus Auto-Protect Service navapsvc - Symantec Corporation - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus navapsvc exe O - Service Norton AntiVirus Firewall Monitor Service NPFMntor - Symantec Corporation - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus IWP NPFMntor exe O - Service SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C Program Files Norton AntiVirus SAVScan exe O - Service ScriptBlocking Service SBService - Symantec Corporation - C PROGRA COMMON SYMANT SCRIPT SBServ exe O - Service Symantec Network Drivers Service SNDSrvc - Symantec Corporation - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SNDSrvc exe O - Service Symantec SPBBCSvc SPBBCSvc - Symantec Corporation - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared SPBBC SPBBCSvc exe O - Service Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C Program Files Common Files Symantec Shared CCPD-LC symlcsvc exe Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C Program Files Common Files Logitech QCDriver LVCOMS EXE C Program Files Google Gmail Notifier G - gnotify exe C Program Files Common Files efax Dllcmd exe C Program Files NETGEAR WG v wlancfg exe C Program Files HJT HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http www dellnet com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http rd yahoo com customize sbcyds search ie html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http rd yahoo com customize sbcyds search ie html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http rd yahoo com customize sbcyds www yahoo com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http www dellnet com O - BHO Yahoo Companion BHO - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn ycomp dll O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn ycomp dll O - HKLM Run IPInSightMonitor quot C Program Files SBC Yahoo Connection Manager IP InSight IPMon exe quot O - HKLM Run LVCOMS C Program Files Common Files Logitech QCDriver LVCOMS EXE O - HKLM Run e - f c- e -a ec-b a b c C Program Files Google Gmail Notifier G - gnotify exe O - HKCU Run Windows installer C winstall exe O - HKCU Run SpySheriff C Program Files S... Read more

A:Spysheriff taking over my laptop....

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Here's what you can do....

Please subscribe to this thread so you'll be notified as soon as we post your fix. To do this, please click here. On the proceeding page, make sure Instant notification by email is selected, then click Add subscription.

In the meanwhile, I suggest that you stop using Interent Explorer until we've fully disinfected your machine. Please download & use an alternative browser like Firefox.

After reviewing your log I found a few items that requires our attention.

Please print out or copy this page to Notepad. Make sure to work through the fixes in the exact order it is mentioned below. If there's anything that you don't understand, ask your question(s) before proceeding with the fixes. You should not have any open browsers when you are following the procedures below.

During the course of disinfection, I may ask you to fix a program that you wish to retain. Please post back to inform me.

Enable the viewing of Hidden files

Windows XP/2000

Go to 'My Computer' > Tools > Folder Options > View tab & ensure that the following are enabled;
Show hidden files and folders.
Display the contents of system folders
Uncheck the Hide protected operating system files option.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some Anti-Spyware Programmes are known to intefere with HJT fixes. If you have these programmes, please disable them by doing so ...

Search & Destroy Spybot's TeaTimerGo to Tools>Resident
uncheck TeaTimer.

Microsoft AntiSpyware Click on Options>Settings.
In the left pane, click on Real-time Protection.
Under Startup Options, uncheck Enable the Microsoft AntiSpyware Security Agents on startup.
Under Real-time spyware threat protection, uncheck Enable real-time spyware threat protection.
After you uncheck these, click on the Save button and close Microsoft AntiSpyware.
Right click on the Microsoft AntiSpyware icon on the taskbar and select Shutdown Microsoft AntiSpyware.

Webroot SpySweeperGo to the Options>Program Options.
Uncheck Load at Windows Startup.
Click Shields and uncheck all items there.
Uncheck Home page shield.
Uncheck Automaticly restore default without notifiction.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AdAware SE v1.06

Download, install, update, configure and run a scan with Ad-aware SE v1.06:Download and Install AdAware SE Personal, keeping the default options. However, some of the settings will need to be changed before your first scan.
Close ALL windows except Ad-Aware SE.
Click on the?world? icon at the top right of the Ad-Aware SE window and let AdAware SE update the reference list for the adware and malware.
Once the update is finished click on the ?Gear? icon (second from the left at the top of the window) to access the preferences/settings window:In the ?General? window make sure the following are selected in green:Under Safety:Automatically save log-file

Automatically quarantine objects prior to removal
Safe Mode (always request confirmation)

Under Definitions:Prompt to update outdated definitions - set the number of days
Click on the ?Scanning? button on the left and select in green:Under Driver, Folders & Files:Scan Within Archives

Under Select drives & folders to scan:choose all hard drives

Under Memory & Registry: all greenScan Active Processes
Scan Registry
Deep Scan Registry
Scan my IE favorites for banned URL?s
Scan my Hosts file
Click on the ?Advanced? button on the left and select in green:Under Shell Integration:Move deleted files to recycle bin

Under Logfile Detail Level: all greeninclude addtional object information
DESELECT - include negligible objects information
include environment information

Under Alternate Data Streams:Don't log streams smaller than 0 bytes
Don't log ADS with the following names: CA_INOCULATEIT
Click the ?Tweak? button and select in green:Under ?Scanning Engine?:Unload recognized processes during scanning
Scan registry for all users instea... Read more

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f284/spysheriff-taking-over-my-laptop-57948.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I have developed a problem where my X is continuously running svchost exe and will only do anything if I kill the program using taskmanager Attached SVCHost laptop my taking over is the hijak log Nothing found on AVG SVCHost taking over my laptop or spybot Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system ibmpmsvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Ink KeyboardSurrogate exe C WINDOWS system ZoneLabs SVCHost taking over my laptop vsmon exe C WINDOWS SYSTEM WISPTIS EXE C WINDOWS System tabbtnu exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Ink TCServer exe C Program Files Network Associates Common Framework FrameworkService exe C Program Files Network Associates VirusScan Mcshield exe C Program Files Network Associates VirusScan VsTskMgr exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMAgent exe C WINDOWS System TPHDEXLG EXE C WINDOWS system tp serv exe C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C Program Files Analog Devices SoundMAX SMax PNP exe C Program Files ThinkPad Tablet Shortcut IBMTBCTL EXE C WINDOWS system TpShocks exe C WINDOWS system TpPenMon exe C PROGRA Lenovo PkgMgr HOTKEY TPHKMGR exe C Program Files Network Associates VirusScan SHSTAT EXE C Program Files Network Associates Common Framework UpdaterUI exe C Program Files Common Files Network Associates TalkBack TBMon exe C Program Files Zone Labs ZoneAlarm zlclient exe C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files Windows Defender MSASCui exe C Program Files MSN Messenger MsnMsgr Exe C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Ink TabTip exe C Program Files Lenovo PkgMgr HOTKEY TPONSCR exe C Program Files Digital Line Detect DLG exe C Program Files Microsoft Office OFFICE ONENOTEM EXE C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Grisoft AVG Anti-Spyware guard exe C Program Files Grisoft AVG Anti-Spyware avgas exe C hijakthis alternativ exe R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId O - BHO Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C Program Files Spybot - Search amp Destroy SDHelper dll O - BHO SSVHelper Class - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO no name - E D - A- EC-A -BA D E E - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run TrackPointSrv tp serv exe O - HKLM Run TabletWizard C WINDOWS help SplshWrp exe O - HKLM Run TabletTip quot C Program Files Common Files microsoft shared ink tabtip exe quot resume O - HKLM Run igfxtray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run igfxhkcmd C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run igfxpers C ... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/svchost-taking-over-my-laptop.560671/
Relevancy 45.15%

So i split my time between being at home not working or being at another home("work") and not working. The DSL i have is supposedly faster at work (By $5 bucks a month)but despite doing the same things to forward ports, and limit bandwidth on downloads and uploads, configuring the router, listing the exceptions etc.. it is still considerably slower, and won't run a bandwidth test successfully Ports can download but not upload?. This is affecting my slacking off... a lot, by having to wait for Grateful Dead shows to download for waaay longer than i'm used to. Anybody know what i'm talking about here?Edit: Moved topic from Win 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

A:Taking your laptop to work.

Sorry for my first reply as I don't actually know what your talking about explain a little more detail please, Cheers

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/389842/taking-your-laptop-to-work/
Relevancy 45.15%

I need a crying and/or smashing the computer emoticon here.I have a topic going in another forum because this little ol' Dell laptop has been taking FOREVER to start up and freezing up. Before I could even get help with THAT, somehow a program called "Whitesmoke" snaked its way onto the computer. So far, all attempts to get rid of it have failed. The antivirus program doesn't pick it up as a virus. Maleware Bytes doesn't either. I've used HiJack this to try to get rid of some of the entries it has changed and while I had a tiny bit of success with that; it usually comes back. I've run rootkit checks and checks in the start-up and boot menus...I'm going crazy! It is on ALL browsers and ALL users. I only use Google Chrome and my husband uses Firefox. PLEASE help me before I lose it! Thanks!

A:"Whitesmoke" taking over laptop!

I've tried running DDS also, but the whole computer ends up freezing up.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/444296/whitesmoke-taking-over-laptop/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi this is my first post so sorry if it's in the wrong category Basically I laptop! over taking my Yahoo is recently bought a new hp laptop and downloaded some programmes onto it such as vlc media player for the past couple of weeks yahoo is taking over my web browsing This Yahoo is taking over my laptop! wouldn't be a problem except its now interfering with my uni work and when i use google and search it takes me to yahoo I've downloaded Hijackthis onto my pc and here's what it brings up Is anyone able to tell me if some of this should be deleted thanks Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Unknown Windows WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode Normal Running processes C Program Files x CyberLink YouCam YouCamService exe C Users Leah Edwards AppData Local Microsoft OneDrive OneDrive exe C Users Leah Edwards AppData Roaming Spotify SpotifyWebHelper exe C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP System Event HPMSGSVC exe C Program Files WindowsApps Microsoft Messaging x wekyb d bbwe SkypeHost exe C ProgramData a b b -f e - -a b - ec f e plugins plugin exe C ProgramData a b b -f e - -a b - ec f e plugins plugin exe C Users Leah Edwards Downloads downloaded programmes HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http hp -comm msn com pc HRTE R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink p LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page blank htm R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page C Windows SysWOW blank htm R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName F - REG system ini UserInit O - BHO Skype for Business Click to Call BHO - D BA - F - CCE-BE A- E DA - C Program Files Microsoft Office root Office OCHelper dll O - BHO Evernote extension - EF EAD-A CE- -B DB- CF E - C Program Files x Evernote Evernote EvernoteIE dll O - BHO Search Know - cdc b b - - d -bc a- fa d f - C Program Files x Search Know Extensions cdc b b - - d -bc a- fa d f dll O - BHO Microsoft SkyDrive Pro Browser Helper - D E A- B - AE-A AA-ABA DBD BF - C Program Files Microsoft Office root Office GROOVEEX DLL O - BHO HP Network Check Helper - E FD -C BA- DCB- F - BD ADE - C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP Support Framework Resources HPNetworkCheck HPNetworkCheckPlugin dll O - HKLM Run HPMessageService C Program Files x Hewlett-Packard HP System Event HPMSGSVC exe O - HKLM Run PowerDVD Agent C Program Files x CyberLink PowerDVD PowerDVD Agent exe O - HKCU Run OneDrive C Users Leah Edwards AppData Local Microsoft OneDrive OneDrive exe background O - HKCU Run Spotify Web Helper C Users Leah Edwards AppData Roaming Spotify SpotifyWebHelper exe O - HKCU Run Spotify C Users Leah Edwards AppData Roaming Spotify Spotify exe -autostart -minimized O - HKCU RunOnce Uninstall C Users Leah Edwards AppData Local Microsoft OneDrive amd C WINDOWS system cmd exe q c rmdir s q C Users Leah Edwards AppData Local Microsoft OneDrive amd O - HKCU RunOnce Uninstall C Users Leah Edwards AppData Local Microsoft OneDrive C WINDOWS system cmd exe q c rmdir s q C Users Leah Edwards AppData Local Microsoft OneDrive O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C Program Files Microsoft Office Root Office EXCEL EXE O - Extr... Read more

A:Yahoo is taking over my laptop!

Hello lebe1512 and Welcome to the BleepingComputer.
My name is Yılmaz and I'll help you with the cleanup of malware from your computer.
Before we move on, please read the following points carefully.
Please complete all steps in the specified order.
Even if tools don't find malware, I want you to post the logfiles anyway.
Please copy and paste the logfiles directly into your posts. Please do not attach them unless you are instructed to do so.
Read the instructions carefully. If you have problems, stop what you  were doing and describe the problems you encountered as precisely as  you can.
Don't install or uninstall software during the cleanup unless you are told to do so.
If you can't answer for the next few days, please let me know. If  you haven't answered within 5 days, I am assuming that you don't need  help anymore and your topic will be closed.
I can not guarantee that we will find and be able to remove all  malware. The cleaning process is not instant. Please continue to review  my answers until I tell you that your computer is clean
Please reply to this thread. Do not start a new topic
As my first language is not English, please do not use slang or idioms. It could be hard for me to understand.
Please open as administrator  the computer. How is open as administrator  the computer?
Disable your AntiVirus and AntiSpyware applications, as they will  interfere with our tools and the removal. If you are unsure how to do  this, please refer to get help here
Thanks

Please do the following.
Uninstall some programs:
We need to uninstall some unwanted/unneeded programs.
Press the + R on your keyboard at the same time. Type appwiz.cpl and click OK.
Search there for each entry mentioned below, right-click the entry and click Uninstall one at a time
The list of programs to uninstall:
Yahoo
Search Know
C:\Program Files (x86)\Search Know
After completing uninstalls, please manually reboot your machine!
   If you get the message like: An error occurred while trying to uninstall, just press Yes.    If you are unable to uninstall all programs, please inform me, but continue with other steps.
===================================================================================
Step 1:
 Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool.
Click on Delete or Clean.
A logfile will automatically open after the scan has finished.
Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.
Step 2:
Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista / 7 / 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
The tool will open and start scanning your system.
Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.
Step 3:
Please download ZHPcleaner to your desktop.
Double click on ZHPCleaner to run the tool.
If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click ZHPCleaner and select "Run as Administrator".
Please klick
Then press ''Repair'' button.
Browsers will automatically shut down.
A logfile will automatically open after the scan has finished.
Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
Step 4:
Temporarily disable your Antivirus protection - if you don't know how to do that, please consult the article below.
How To Temporarily Disable Your Anti-virus, Firewall And Anti-malware Programs
Please download ZOEK and save it to your desktop (preferred version is the *.exe one - upper left corner).
http://hijackthis.nl/smeenk/
Attach... Read more

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/606417/yahoo-is-taking-over-my-laptop/
Relevancy 45.15%

I ve got a laptop that out of the blue stopped taking a charge This is the third fourth time this is happening and since I m not under warranty anymore doubt I ll be able to send it in When I first got the computer a gateway cx s it was broken and gateway refused to replace it a taking Laptop charge not They would only fix it They ended up replacing the entire motherboard Later from this point there were several occasions where it would stop taking a charge I sent my computer in it was sent back and it would work So I don t know the exact details of what happened to it in the past I was on my laptop last night with the charger plugged in and all of a sudden it stopped charging I took Laptop not taking a charge it to someone today and they said the battery was bad since my charger was still putting out a charge Yet from my previous experience w this problem I checked and if I put some pressure on the part that plugged into the laptop it would start charging It isn t a reliable charge So I called gateway I gave him my number and he said that the female port was loose I m assuming this is what was wrong the last few times since he told me that was the problem so quickly confidently So now I m here for a third opinion What do you guys think it is I m NOT going to send it back to gateway Because of the utter piece of crap they ve sold me I ve probably spent the same amount of money in repairs as the computer cost Additionally my warranty is now up so yeah Thanks a ton D nbsp

A:Laptop not taking a charge

From your clues, I deduce you have a bad connection as opposed to bad battery or charger. It is either the plug that is the computer end of the power supply/charger or it is the female connector soldered to the main board. The former is a cheap fix; but, the most likely is the internal female connector.

In my area, this is a 75- to $150 fix--at a competent shop.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-not-taking-a-charge.735817/
Relevancy 45.15%

Mod Edit: Split from http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic338074.html ~ Hamluis.hello boby .... the same problem is with my system dell studio 1535 ..freezing unable to install fresh window copy by any method ....did you get the solution ...if you did plz help me and in previous comment you discuss switching ide 0 to ide 1 to resolve atapi error code 11 can you tell me how to do that

A:dell studio freezing starting in 25 minuts and even taking 5 minuts on evey click

my dell studio 1535 is strating up in 20 minuts and after that it still takes 5 minuts on every click even to reach my computer .my dvd writer is not working and the idea to boot it from usb bootablewhat I tried so far *check for virus nothing found* tried to install a freash copy of window ..but all method fails dvd ,bootable usb , boot from hard disk* tried to open os in safe mode , safemode with command prompt ,disable all startup program not worked*Event viewer is showing 2 errors continuously one is atapi error code 11 second is ntfs error code 54 * somewhare I read that the problem can be solved by switching harddisk sata controller connection to ide o to ide 1 but I dont know how to do that or it is a hardware task or software task ...plz help this problem is causing all my important data

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/439234/dell-studio-freezing-starting-in-25-minuts-and-even-taking-5-minuts-on-evey-click/
Relevancy 44.72%

I need to clean the fans on my laptop but I dont want to take the whole thing apart, just the area where the fan is. Does anyone have any idea  how to do this? Thanking you in advance, Dorene

Solved!
View Solution.

A:how do i clean my laptop fan without taking the whole thing ...

doeeyes wrote:That is what I want to do, take the fan out so that I can clean it, but I dont want to take the entire laptop apart. Is there a way that I can just take the fan out only? I dont trust my self to take the whole thing apart. Any suggestions would be greately appreciated.No the laptop is built with tight specs that it isn't that easy to just take out the fan. To access the fan requires a complete dissembly of the laptop to get to the fan.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/how-do-i-clean-my-laptop-fan-without-taking-the-whole-thing/td-p/4940261
Relevancy 44.72%

As per title. My laptop takes ages to shut down. Everything goes off but the light is still on and it takes around 90 seconds or so to shut down. Anyone know what this could be and how to sort it?

I recently installed Windows 8 but it was fine to begin with but the last week or so it's been really bad

A:Laptop taking ages to shut down

Hello Scott,

If you have hibernate enabled, then it may be the contents of your RAM being saved to the HDD that's taking a bit to complete before shut down. As a test, disabled hibernate (if enabled) to see how long it takes to shut down afterwards.

Hibernate - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Forums

Hope this helps,
Shawn

http://www.eightforums.com/performance-maintenance/14357-laptop-taking-ages-shut-down.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello,
I have a Toshiba T4700CT laptop and would like to take the battery out to reset the BIOS. I have unscrewed all of the screws at the back, and taken out the hard drive, but still can't take the back off. I didn't want to force it. How do i get it open please?

Many thanks

A:Toshiba laptop: taking the back off

Hi syedab and welcome to TSG!

Have you checked the reference manual? <a href="http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_dtlViewDL.jsp?soid=106710&moid=1073769828&[email protected]@@@[email protected]@@@&BV_EngineID=ccdcadcgifjelkkcgfkceghdgngdgll.0&ct">Here</a> is a link to download the reference manual from Toshiba's site.

<a href=http://www.infornet.be/idin061.htm#17">This</a> link provides some useful information on all battery-powered Toshibas.

Hope one of them helps!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/toshiba-laptop-taking-the-back-off.102021/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi, My laptop is HP Envy 14k011tu. It has an i5 4th gen processor, 12 GB of RAm and 1 TB hdd. Since i updated to windows 10 my boot up time has increased significantly. It used to take half a min atmost in win 8.1. Every driver is up to date. Thanks. P.S. i once used remove all the apps from system feature because multiple apps werecausing an issue. I hope it did not have any significance to boot time.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Laptop-taking-too-long-to-boot/td-p/5664399
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello,
My Toshiba Sattelite has recently started to have a few problems. When I boot it up, it takes about 5 minutes to get past the Welcome/Please Wait screen. After that there is a black screen which takes a further 5-10 minutes to get past. I would appreciate any help and suggestions.
Thank You
Michael

A:Laptop taking too long to log in (various stages)

Welcome

Follow steps on this tutorial first:Troubleshoot Application Conflicts by Performing a Clean Startup
Then upload your msinfo file: To get this:
1. Click on the Start
2. Type msinfo32 into the Search programs and files box
3. When it opens, go to File, Save
4. Save as msinfo32.nfo and save in a place you will remember
5. Let it finish the process of gathering and saving the system info
6. Right click the .nfo file, click send to compressed (zipped) folder
7. Upload the .zip file hereFor monitoring the heat/celsius of the system, use Speccy or HWinfo:Speccy - System Information - Free Download
CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/261859-laptop-taking-too-long-log-various-stages.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I have created new hard drive by shrinking but after shrinking my C drive is occupying near around 150 though it is using only 40 GB so i want to allocate only 70 GB and rest for a new drive.
and one more thing after shrinking my all hard drive became dynamic simple volume previously it was Basic volume. will I face any problem for that?

Any suggestion welcome !!!
info:
LAPTOP : HP 2126TX DV4 320 GB
I have HP recovery Disc for win 7

A:C drive is always taking 150 Gb after shrink for my HP LAPTOP

Quote: Originally Posted by sanpaul

I have created new hard drive by shrinking but after shrinking my C drive is occupying near around 150 though it is using only 40 GB so i want to allocate only 70 GB and rest for a new drive.
and one more thing after shrinking my all hard drive became dynamic simple volume previously it was Basic volume. will I face any problem for that?

Any suggestion welcome !!!
info:
LAPTOP : HP 2126TX DV4 320 GB
I have HP recovery Disc for win 7

Hi sanpaul

first you created new partition (not HD). How did you shrink the current partition (what application)?

can you make a snapshot of your HD configuration and upload it to us?

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/96844-c-drive-always-taking-150-gb-after-shrink-my-hp-laptop.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello,

My Samsung laptop brought couple months back keeps taking a long time to sleep. The actual time taken seems to vary greatly, sometimes a few seconds, but otherwise hours upon hours (I at that point shut it down).

The time it takes for it to sleep does not seem to always correlate to the numbers of applications I have open either, nor the RAM usage. Sometimes it sleeps fine with a lot of programs open, other times it fails to when there are only a few.

I have looked around the forum, but cannot find an answer. Please help.

Sgtmook.

A:Laptop taking too long to sleep.

Here are some commands you can run from an ELEVATED Command prompt that might help.

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
powercfg -requests
powercfg -energy
powercfg /?

powercfg /? is the MS HELP for the other commands i suggested (and more).
If you get anything back from powercfg commands you need help with, post back with screen prints showing the results.

I noticed you have a BSOD thread for sleep issues.
http://www.sevenforums.com/crashes-d...-sleeping.html
Maybe you should post a comment in that thread about this issue including a link to this thread?
Someone that helped with that issue might be able to help with this.

In my experience:
Windows sleep and hibernate are awesome when they work correctly.
If there are issues, it can be a never ending nightmare trying to find the cause and fix.

It seems there are too many factors that can affect sleep and no-one including MS has fully documented or understands all of it.
- Bad driver, usually video
- Unsaved Windows theme
- BIOS settings, and maybe BIOS version
- Devices that can wake the PC
- Programs that can wake the PC
- Scheduled Tasks that can wake the PC
- Wireless mice
- yadda, yadda, ...

I just noticed and tried the "wake_from_any" powercfg option with this command:
powercfg -devicequery wake_from_any

I've never used this to resolve issues i worked on, but maybe this can help you, or add more confusion!
I can't remember ever seeing this option suggested in any threads i found looking for help trying to fix sleep issues.
Right now I find it interesting (and confusing), but it might be something that can help anyone having sleep issues...

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/263885-laptop-taking-too-long-sleep.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Ugh ok so my computer has been running slow-er.. especially when i play mmo's.. it started about a week ago. my cpu usage has been peaking at 100!! and my physical memory is at around 80.. i have an acer windows 7, and have had this laptop for around lets say 10 months. anything else ill be HAPPY to answer.. i just need help! any advice appreciated. Oh! and ive also been getting a message saying "windows may not be genuine, go online to resolve"

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/plz-help-im-a-noob-at-taking-care-of-my-laptop.985649/
Relevancy 44.72%

My laptop is taking forever to boot up long Laptop taking too way boot up I have run Adaware I have Micro oft Anti-Spyware running all the time I have Laptop boot up taking way too long Norton Antivirus Corp edition up to date and running all the time and I have Spyware Blaster I don t know what else Laptop boot up taking way too long to look for After I turn the laptop Laptop boot up taking way too long on and everything loads It takes a couple minutes for the first program I click to start up as if something is running in the background I am posting a HijackThis log which may possibly help Can anyone help diagnose this issue Also let me know what other info might help Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINNT System smss exe C WINNT system winlogon exe C WINNT system services exe C WINNT system lsass exe C WINNT system svchost exe C WINNT System svchost exe C WINNT System acs exe C WINNT system spoolsv exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software bin btwdins exe C Program Files NavNT defwatch exe C Program Files NavNT rtvscan exe C WINNT system MsgSys EXE C WINNT Explorer EXE C WINNT GWMDMMSG exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C WINNT System hkcmd exe C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared WkUFind exe C Program Files NavNT vptray exe C WINNT System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe C Program Files HP hpcoretech hpcmpmgr exe C WINNT system hphmon exe C Program Files Microsoft AntiSpyware gcasServ exe C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe C Program Files WIDCOMM Bluetooth Software BTTray exe C Program Files D-Link AirPlus G Wireless Adapter Utility AirPlus exe C Program Files iPod bin iPodService exe C Program Files Logitech SetPoint KEM exe C WINNT System HPZipm exe C Program Files Logitech SetPoint KHALMNPR EXE C Program Files HP Digital Imaging bin hpqgalry exe C Program Files Microsoft AntiSpyware gcasDtServ exe C WINNT system wuauclt exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Documents and Settings Owner My Documents Applications HijackThis exe O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat Reader ActiveX AcroIEHelper ocx O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - Toolbar amp Google - C B - - d - B - A CD F - c program files google googletoolbar dll O - HKLM Run GWMDMMSG GWMDMMSG exe O - HKLM Run SynTPLpr C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run GWMDMpi C WINNT GWMDMpi exe O - HKLM Run IgfxTray C WINNT System igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run HotKeysCmds C WINNT System hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run Microsoft Works Update Detection C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Works Shared WkUFind exe O - HKLM Run vptray C Program Files NavNT vptray exe O - HKLM Run HPDJ Taskbar Utility C WINNT System spool drivers w x hpztsb exe O - HKLM Run HPHUPD C Program Files HP AAC FC - F - - DD -EBC C D hphupd exe O - HKLM Run HP Component Manager quot C Program Files HP hpcoretech hpcmpmgr exe quot O - HKLM Run HPHmon C WINNT system hphmon exe O - HKLM Run Logitech Hardware Abstraction Layer KHALMNPR EXE O - HKLM Run gcasServ quot C Program Files Microsoft AntiSpyware gcasServ exe quot O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched C Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe O - HKLM Run HP Software Update C Program Files HP HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe O - HKLM Run iTunesHelper quot C Program Files iTunes iTunesHelper exe quot O - HKLM Run QuickTime Task quot C Program Files QuickTime qttask exe quot -atboottime O - Global Startup Adobe Gamma Loader lnk C Program Files Common Files Adobe Calibration Adobe Gamma Loader exe O - Global Startup BTTray lnk O - Gl... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-boot-up-taking-way-too-long.420806/
Relevancy 44.72%

My brother has a Dell laptop that came pre-loaded with Vista. He asked me to remove it and install XP for him. I've re-installed XP on several computers but I'm stuck here.

When I boot from my XP disk, I press enter to install a new copy of XP, but then it says it cannot find a hard drive and setup cannot continue.

I'm not looking to do a dual OS install. Just wanna make this XP only. Am I missing a step here that I'm not familiar with?

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi guys

I am going to University in September and all of the dorm rooms have an Internet connection. I want to take my laptop but am unsure as to how it will work as they supply the connection. Does this mean I have take my broadband box with me? Or will I need an internal modem in my laptop?

Any help appreciated, I realise I'm thick lol

A:Taking my laptop to University and connecting to the net

Its highly unlikely you will be using a dialup connection at University. If they use broadband they will likely supply what you need to connect. Many Universities provide hotspots for wireless connections these days so you may need a wireless card if the laptop doesn't already have one.

Perhaps you should ask them, or look in the literature you have to see what you need. Good luck in your studies.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/25303/taking-my-laptop-to-university-and-connecting-to-the-net/
Relevancy 44.72%

I hope you can help me I keep trying to fix my laptop because it s soooo slow it s making me crazy This is my biz puter as Stop LapTop My Please Me A From To Hammer Taking well so the speed is making it difficult to get anything done I have run ad-aware spybot and my hijack this is below Halfway thru the hijack scan i received a Please Stop Me From Taking A Hammer To My LapTop message that I can t seem to find now from hijack this regarding an overflow error I ran virus check from Trendmicro and altho it never came up that it completed it did report a malware found but not sure which one Anyway if there is anything you can come up with based on the info below I would be forever grateful for any help Thanks so much Lynn Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at PM on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Progra Fellowes WEBPRO wh exec exe C PROGRA PCPOWE PopUpKiller exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpobnz exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpoevm exe C Program Files eXtendia AntiVirus AVK AVKService exe C Program Files eXtendia AntiVirus AVK AVKWCtl exe C WINDOWS System tcpsvcs exe C WINDOWS System snmp exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging Bin hpoSTS exe C WINDOWS System HPZipm exe C Program Files MSN Messenger msnmsgr exe C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C WINDOWS TSC EXE C Documents and Settings Lynn Desktop hijackthis sfx exe C Program Files HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http us rd yahoo com customize ycomp adbe defaults sb http www yahoo com search ie html R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http us rd yahoo com customize ycomp adbe defaults sp http www yahoo com R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http red clientapps yahoo com customize ie defaults stp ymsgr http my yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http red clientapps yahoo com customize ie defaults su ymsgr http www yahoo com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar http red clientapps yahoo com cus http www yahoo com ext search search html R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page www access- -free com portal asp R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page www access- -free com portal asp R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer SearchURL Default http search yahoo com search p s R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Local Page R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Window Title Explorer R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride O - BHO IE PopUp-Killer Neikeisoft - E E F - C - D - D- - C PROGRA PCPOWE PopUp dll O - BHO no name - - F - D - - D F - C PROGRA SPYBOT SDHelper dll O - BHO no name - C B A - DB - A -A CB-D BBFEB - no file O - HKLM Run WheelMouse C Progra Fellowes WEBPRO wh exec exe O - HKLM Run SynTPLpr C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPLpr exe O - HKLM Run SynTPEnh C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe O - HKLM Run srmclean C Cpqs Scom srmclean exe O - HKCU Run Ashampoo PopUpBlocker C PROGRA PCPOWE PopUpKiller exe O - Global Startup hp psc Series lnk C Program Files Hewlett-Packard Digital Imaging bin hpobnz exe O - Extra context menu item E amp xport to Microsoft Excel - res C PROGRA MICROS Office EXCEL EXE O - Extra button Real com - CD F -D E - d - FE- C F AFE - C WINDOWS System Shdocvw dll O - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Extra Tools menuitem Windows Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Progr... Read more

A:Please Stop Me From Taking A Hammer To My LapTop

Well I'm not an HijackThis specialist, but you can try this... it may speed your computer a bit.

Originally posted by DVK01
Reboot to safe mode. Instructions can be found here http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2001052409420406

Navigate to the C:\Windows\Temp folder. Open the Temp folder and go to Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.

Go to Start > Run and type %temp% in the Run box. The Temp folder will open. Click Edit > Select All then Edit > Delete to delete the entire contents of the Temp folder.

Finally go to Control Panel > Internet Options. On the General tab under "Temporary Internet Files" Click "Delete Files". Put a check by "Delete Offline Content" and click OK. Click on the Programs tab then click the "Reset Web Settings" button. Click Apply then OK.

Boot back to Windows normally now.

Maybe that will boost your pc a bit.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/please-stop-me-from-taking-a-hammer-to-my-laptop.361104/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi, I have a rather old laptop that I just installed Windows on. Right now it has SP1 (I tried SP2 on it, and bad bad bad things happened. That's why I now have a fresh install of SP1 ).

Anyway, after a while, a thread called System, owned by SYSTEM takes up 100% of the cycles! I can't even move my mouse! After about 10 seconds, it loosens up a little, and my mouse is incredibly jerky, then it goes to not taking up any cpu cycles for about 5 seconds. Then 100% again.

It's windows XP pro, the laptop is an ACER Travelmate 600ter (p3 600, 256 megs of ram). It ran SP1 very successfully before without doing this, so I know it can.

Anyone have any ideas why the System thread (with an 80 kb footprint) is doing this? Oh, and I checked my memory, at the time only 130 megs were allocated, so I don't think it's thrashing.

Thanks!

A:System Thread is taking over my laptop!

Have you also done a basic file cleanup yet. Defrag and check your system for errors, also delete your temp files.
go to Webroots site and run their free scan. http://www.webroot.com/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/system-thread-is-taking-over-my-laptop.334297/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi Techguys,
I have a Packard Bell Dot U laptop running Windows 7, it stopped accepting power from the power cable. I thought it was a defunkt power cable so i bought a new one. But it wasn't.

So as the battery ran down - at its normal pace - eventually it came to a point where there was no way to switch it on.

While the battery had power in it everything worked as normal, no system problems. But it simply wont recharge and if you take the battery out it still wont fire up.

Has it blown a fuse somewhere inside? Any tips? I dont want to take it apart until I know roughly what Im doing.

The laptop is about 2 yrs old, it hadn't had any battery problems and the battery doesnt seem to be the issue.

Thanks,
Adam

A:Laptop not taking power supply

Did you buy a new power supply and chord?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-not-taking-power-supply.1068269/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi Guys, My Packard Bell Laptop is taking way too long to shut down. Im talking 10 to 15 minutes. I get so annoyed waiting for it that I have resulted to just holding the power key down and shutting it off all together. Then the next day having to hit the enter key on start windows normally. I know this is not good for my laptop. Anyway what recommendations do you have to speed up the shut down operation. Here are some details on my laptop.
Packard Bell Easynote.
Windows Vista Home Premium.
Intel Core 2 Duo.
Memory 1GB.
32 Bit Operating System.
Thanks guys

Relevancy 44.72%

hopefully someone can help
ive had my laptop (wireless) for 6 months and dont do an awful lot on it
today i checked the space taken up on the drive and was horrified to see it only has 10gb out of 120 left
on futher investigation on the c drive i found that under programe data there was a folder called aoldiag w hich is using 40gb does anybody know what it is there are further files in it like aolservice host and win1.5.6.1
ive tried sending it to the recycle bin but it just freezes the laptop
i use aol on both laptop and pc
any ideas?????

A:program taking up 40gb on my laptop

Please do not double-post.

http://forums.techguy.org/all-other-software/687083-laptop-full-up-odd-programme.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/program-taking-up-40gb-on-my-laptop.687084/
Relevancy 44.72%

i have purchase the laptop 2 weeks befoe, it taking more than 10 minutes to start down and when the laptop go to sleep mode then it is not able to switch on .please do the needfull i have purchase 2 weeks before 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/taking-more-than-10-minutes-to-switch-on-the-laptop/td-p/5710986
Relevancy 44.72%

This afternoon I decided to take apart my Now boot Windows Taking Won't Laptop, Tried My Apart laptop to see how much dust was in it because it freezes whenever I would do CPU or GPU heavy stuff About half way through my dad convinced me that it didn't look like there was enough dust and crap inside to worry about and convinced me to put it back together I got more or less finished reassembling everything but I ended up with an Tried Taking Apart My Laptop, Now Windows Won't boot extra screw The first couple of times that I rebooted I would just get a black screen After that the boot screen would appear and then I'd get the option to resume or go into my configurations F or F I went in and scanned my HDD and memory for any errors came up completely clean Rebooted got the same options but decided to go ahead and resume normal boot up Another screen showed up because there seemed to be a problem with my windows installation told me to load up some windows recovery files to try and fix the issue or resume normal boot up If I try to get it to load the recovery files it just locks up while trying to do so If I resume I get a blue screen A line from the blue screen reads quot stop x a x x x c quot My system is an HP Pavilion DV came with Vista but upgraded to W Pro about a year ago Any ideas UPDATE Good news my system is working normally All I did was remove the CMOS battery and re seated one of the RAM chips That seems to have worked I'll be back if I have anymore problems

A:Tried Taking Apart My Laptop, Now Windows Won't boot

Quote:
Stop: 0x0000000A (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
*** Address x has base at x - filename
In this Stop error message, each parameter is a hexadecimal number that refers to a specific issue: Parameter 1 - An address that was referenced incorrectly.
Parameter 2 - An IRQL that was required to access the memory.
Parameter 3 - The type of access, where 0 is a read operation and 1 is a write operation.
Parameter 4 - The address of the instruction that referenced memory in parameter 1.
[...]

This Stop error message usually occurs during installation when there was an attempt in kernel mode to touch pageable memory at too high a process internal request level (IRQL). Typically, this error occurs when a driver uses an incorrect memory address. Other possible causes of this error include an incompatible device driver, a general hardware problem, or incompatible software.

You receive a &#34;Stop 0x0000000A&#34; error message in Windows XP

I don't know what else to tell you but perhaps try inter-switching your memory or plugging them in and out. Also check if you missed to plug in some items or you miss to plug in something.

http://www.sevenforums.com/bsod-help-support/134024-tried-taking-apart-my-laptop-now-windows-wont-boot.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi everybody, my girlfriend has a nice Dell Vista Desktop DSL machine in an upstairs bedroom. I have taken my Sony wireless laptop over a couple times, being more convenient downstairs, pirating some unsuspecting neighbor's signal. I don't like doing that for a couple reasons, mainly security. Question is, can I simply take my wireless router with me, and plug into her DSL modem, for me to operate like I do at home? Thanks for anyone who can reply,...Tom

Relevancy 44.29%

I was playing splinter cell on my lap top when all of a sudden the game's window minimized, and a "hibernating computer" message (or something of the sort) appeared and the computer turned off. What can I do? every time I try to turn it back on the, I can hear it turn back on for a sec, then the computer beeps three or four times and turns back off (the screen never turns back on). I have Windows Xp.

A:Solved: Trouble taking my laptop out of hibernation

never mind, figured out the problem. Thanx anyways

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-trouble-taking-my-laptop-out-of-hibernation.180258/
Relevancy 44.29%

We have a Sony laptop which needs to have the battery taken out and replaced before it will boot up. The battery seems ok otherwise as it registers 100% charge the whole time  In addition to that, the comp will freeze, hang or whatever it is called randomly.  There appears to be no viruses and the comp is always kept squeaky clean.

Thank you for your help.

A:Laptop won't start without taking the battery out and replaced...

Run Seatools for Windows to check your hard drive and create a bootable disk of Memtest86+ to test your RAM. Let it run for 6 passes and preferably overnight.

Look in Event Viewer under System for any clue as to why the computer would freeze. 

Edit: Try powercycling the computer. Remove the power cord and battery. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord and battery. Reboot. Shutdown. Remove the power cord.  Try rebooting with only the battery. 

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/604805/laptop-wont-start-without-taking-the-battery-out-and-replaced/
Relevancy 44.29%

I m trying to help out a friend who is having Laptop the - control someone of screen taking hijacked is an issue with his laptop It started when he was talking on facebook chat someone took control of his computer and typed rude things into the chat bar Then tonight a white box chat window popped up informing him that he had been quot super hacked quot and that if he transferred into the hackers account he would leave him alone The hacker took control of the screen and changed his background went Laptop hijacked - someone is taking control of the screen through his files and typed on the chat bar that all his files would be saved if he complied with his request My friend then typed back onto this chat Laptop hijacked - someone is taking control of the screen box that he did not have a paypal Laptop hijacked - someone is taking control of the screen account and the hacker replied that he was quot no good to him quot and that he would give him control back However the hacker then changed his background again and took control of the mouse The menu bar has now disappeared and every time my friend clicks on the internet the hacker closes the page I have never heard of anything like this happening before and its very disturbing that someone can literally take control like that Has anyone seen or heard anything like this Are there any suggestions what can be done Thanks in advance for any help nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-hijacked-someone-is-taking-control-of-the-screen.1041375/
Relevancy 44.29%

I would like to take my laptop back to how it was when i bought it, but dont have a disc with which to do this. It wasnt something that it came with.

A:Taking a laptop back to default settings.

Most laptops have a recovery partition on the hard drive. This is provided instead of a recovery CD. How to access the recovery partition and run the recovery process depends on the make & model of your laptop. Please provide those details.

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-vista/taking-a-laptop-back-to-default-settings/13562.html
Relevancy 44.29%

The fans in my hp omen 15 have a lot of dist covering them. Im not sure if i should clean the fans with compressed air or by vacuuming the dust out. I dont want to take it apart, because i cannot do that without messing up the laptop. The fans are directly under the laptop. I havent cleaned it since I first got it, which was a year ago. Any suggestions? 

A:How to clean Hp Omen fans without taking apart laptop?

oelsayed What I use to clean my laptops is those cans of compressed air that you get in office supply stores. With the fans running, spray the air at the blades -- but from a few inches away.  Also, if there are vents in the case, spray the air into those, as well. Good Luck========================================================================I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor do I represent, HP.---------------------------------------------------------------If my posts helped you, please click the Thumbs-Up symbol on my post to say thanks.If my posts solved your problem please click "Accept As Solution".========================================================================

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Software-and-How-To-Questions/How-to-clean-Hp-Omen-fans-without-taking-apart-laptop/td-p/5685744
Relevancy 44.29%

I backed up all my files on a drive and wanted to reset laptop to factory settings and it's taking over 12 hours to do this and still not finished. It says installing Windows and doing it again and again over 10 hours and it won't change... Is it broken ? Can I exit this

Solved!
View Solution.

A:Resetting hp laptop to factory settings and it's taking over...

I would advise holding down the power button until the computer turns off then turn it back on and boot it from the recovery media again like you did previously if you still have issues after this we can do further checks. James

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Resetting-hp-laptop-to-factory-settings-and-it-s-taking-over/td-p/5644436
Relevancy 44.29%

My laptop started installing updates when I powered down for four hours I have had this message on the screen - keep your PC plugged in until this is done. Installing update 17 of 24.....

How long do I leave this or can I power off and try and restart?

A:Laptop taking a very long time to do updates

Restart your computer and it will surely install the updates next time.

http://www.eightforums.com/windows-updates-activation/15900-laptop-taking-very-long-time-do-updates.html
Relevancy 44.29%

[lease help bought my laptop used have no reboot disk and want to take it back to factory specs how can i do this without buying the disks from compaq

A:need help taking my laptop back to factory specs

Hit the f10 button repeatedly until your recovery partition comes up and then follow the prompts. (When you start/boot)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/need-help-taking-my-laptop-back-to-factory-specs.1027932/
Relevancy 44.29%

I am running Windows on an HP ENVY bit intel CORE i Applications began taking forever to load I restarted in Safe Boot and ran the MBAM but it was limited on what it could do I got nothing on the logs as far as malicious files I restarted and when the Logo popped up it circled and circled and the it went to a black screen for a very long time I didn't time it then it showed my desktop and my background picture had disappeared Finally everything on the desktop finally started showing up one at a time Same with the taskbar one at a time slowly The background taking forever startup 15 Laptop HP ENVY to pic never HP ENVY 15 Laptop taking forever to startup came back on I ran MBAM again and got a clean scan There is still something very wrong Everything was running fine until I HP ENVY 15 Laptop taking forever to startup downloaded two applications to find partitions on my Dell Venue So HP ENVY 15 Laptop taking forever to startup that may be where something crawled out The apps were worthless enter scolding here Please help Scan result of Farbar Recovery Scan Tool FRST x Version - - Ran by Bo administrator on HAZELBO - - Running from C Users Bo Desktop Loaded Profiles Bo Available Profiles Bo Platform Windows Home X Language English United States Internet Explorer Version Default browser Edge Boot Mode Normal Tutorial for Farbar Recovery Scan Tool http www geekstogo com forum topic -frst-tutorial-how-to-use-farbar-recovery-scan-tool Processes Whitelisted If an entry is included in the fixlist the process will be closed The file will not be moved NVIDIA Corporation C Windows System nvvsvc exe Intel Corporation C Windows System igfxCUIService exe NVIDIA Corporation C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation Display nvxdsync exe NVIDIA Corporation C Windows System nvvsvc exe Hewlett-Packard Company C Windows System hpservice exe Realtek Semiconductor C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtkAudioService exe Realtek Semiconductor C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVBg exe Realtek Semiconductor C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RAVBg exe Apple Inc C Program Files Common Files Apple Mobile Device Support AppleMobileDeviceService exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Microsoft Office ClientX officeclicktorun exe Apple Inc C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe Adobe Systems Incorporated C Program Files x Common Files Adobe AdobeGCClient AGSService exe Intel reg Corporation C Program Files Intel iCLS Client SocketHeciServer exe Intel reg Corporation C Program Files Intel iCLS Client HeciServer exe Intel C Program Files Intel Corporation USB over IP bin UoipService exe Intel Corporation C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Management Engine Components FWService IntelMeFWService exe Hewlett-Packard Development Company L P C Program Files x Hp HP System Event HPWMISVC exe Citrix Online a division of Citrix Systems Inc C Program Files x Citrix GoToMyPC g svc exe Samsung C Program Files Samsung AllShare Framework DMS AllShareFrameworkManagerDMS exe NVIDIA Corporation C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation GeForce Experience Service GfExperienceService exe Adobe Systems Incorporated C Program Files x Common Files Adobe Adobe Desktop Common ElevationManager AdobeUpdateService exe C Program Files Intel Intel reg Smart Connect Technology Agent iSCTAgent exe Intel Corporation C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Management Engine Components DAL jhi service exe Intel Corporation C Program Files x Intel Intel reg Management Engine Components LMS LMS exe NVIDIA Corporation C Program Files x NVIDIA Corporation NetService NvNetworkService exe Copyright SAMSUNG C Program Files Samsung Samsung Link Samsung Link exe NVIDIA Corporation C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation NvStreamSrv NvStreamService exe Copyright SAMSUNG C Program Files Samsung Samsung Link Samsung Link exe Synaptics Incorporated C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnhService exe Microsoft Corporation C Program Files Windows Defender MsMpEng exe Western Digital Technologies Inc C Program Files x Western Di... Read more

A:HP ENVY 15 Laptop taking forever to startup

I see that the same issue I had previously about a year and hallf ago was pulled up right under this one. 
That was a dfferent laptop.  I have ugraded since then and was trying to download a program from a website to restore partitions for another laptop/tablet.
When I power this one on, it takes awhile and the HP logo pops up then it goes to black screen for about 8 seconds, then it goes to a blue scren and those little white balls keep cyclying and cycling for another 10-15 seconds, then black screen again for another 5 seconds then finally the lock screen.  I enter my pin and it sits about 2 seconds then the desktop opens and the taskbar pops out empty.  Then each app that;s pinned to it shows up one at a time and so do the icons on the desktop (which are not many).  This started after I downloaded those programs from the web.  Yes I know I shouldn't have. Thought I had protection.  I have deleted them from my files but my concern is that they may be in the registry and I don't get into places I unless I know what I'm doing.  When it comes to registry, I know nothing.
I will look around your website in the Virus Removal tab and look for something to clean my registry out.  MBAM is not doing it.

Thanks heaps.

Hazel

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/593645/hp-envy-15-laptop-taking-forever-to-startup/
Relevancy 44.29%

I have an HP Pavilion DM - us with Windows Home Premium -bit The Pavilion Laptop to Taking Before Forever Connecting HP Wi-Fi Wi-Fi network adapter installed is a Centrino Wireless-N For the past four weeks it has taken quot forever quot about minutes before the laptop can connect to HP Pavilion Laptop Taking Forever Before Connecting to Wi-Fi the Wi-Fi network Upon booting up a red quot X quot appears on top of the wireless network icon the icon with five vertical bars in the Taskbar Approximately three minutes later the red quot X quot disappears and I have Internet connection I am current with Microsoft patches and I have even installed the most current Centrino Wireless-N driver that I could find at the Intel web site The HP HP Pavilion Laptop Taking Forever Before Connecting to Wi-Fi support site was of no use I have opened a command prompt as an administrator and entered these commands Code netsh winsock reset catalog netsh int ip reset resetlog txt ipconfig flushdns ipconfig release ipconfig renew ipconfig registerdns exit and rebooted the computer Things did not improve I have a couple of other laptops that are connecting to the same Wi-Fi network without problems so I don't think that it is the router to be blamed What could possibly be the culprit of this sudden three-minute delay in connecting to Wi-Fi

A:HP Pavilion Laptop Taking Forever Before Connecting to Wi-Fi

hello and welcome TB mate finding HP drivers is an absolute nightmare (par for the course) and this is the closest I can get to the Centrino adaptor https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...29&ProdId=3229 I think this is a driver problem or the adaptor is on the blink. Usually if it means replacing the adaptor it is not a big job but having worked on Toshibas more than HP's I cannot say for sure but will have a look round.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/346616-hp-pavilion-laptop-taking-forever-before-connecting-wi-fi.html
Relevancy 44.29%

I have a Lenovo Z laptop running Windows Home Premium I ve had it for over years and it has steadily been taking longer and longer to fully boot It only takes a minute or so to get to the login screen but once I login it takes over minutes to get to the point where I can open programmes very a taking time to boot long Laptop and then it is incredibly slow I can feasibly use it in Safe Mode with networking but it still takes min Laptop taking a very long time to boot to boot Only a week ago it was taking minutes to boot but was still usable so I wasn t too concerned as I was looking into buying a new computer after Christmas anyway I have checked the hard drive Laptop taking a very long time to boot and RAM and there appear to be no hardware issues I have run several virus spyware programmes CCcleaner etc to no avail A while ago the fan got clogged up and the laptop started to overheat so I am wondering if this damaged something I can t even do a full Windows restore there is a recovery partition but I can t find a system image within it I don t have a backup disc Is buying a reinstall disc a feasible option or is there anything else I can do before giving in and buying a new laptop Thanks

A:Laptop taking a very long time to boot

Hi, have you run chkdsk, or disc clean up, have you ever detracted the hard drive.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/laptop-taking-a-very-long-time-to-boot-1076122.html
Relevancy 44.29%

My WIN7 laptop is almost unusable due to adware obscuring the screen. I usually go to filehippo for stuff but now it is alleged that they are implanting adware too. Additionally, multiple windows are opening. I am about ready to restore to factory is I cannot come up with a solution.

A:adware from filehippo.com taking over my Windows 7 laptop

These three freebies are very good to start the ball rolling. With luck they will clear the decks sufficiently to make it easier for you take things further. Run them in the order given:AdwCleaner:http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/dow...(blue Download button near top - not anything else on the page).Download and "Save" the file somewhere. Go to the saved file then double click it to run the program. Use the "Scan" button, followed by the "Cleaning" button.Junkware Removal Tool (JRT)http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/dow...(blue Download button near top - not anything else on the page).Download and "Save" the file somewhere. Go to the saved file then double click it to run JRT. It might appear to have stopped at times or flash the screen but sit tight until it has finished.MalwareBytes:https://www.malwarebytes.org/downlo...Download the free version.Install and Run the program but before doing its Scan go to "Settings > Detection and Protection" and put a checkmark in "Scan for rootkits". Quarantine anything it finds. Please copy/paste the logs on here, even if the symptoms are cleared.[An aside. It may be that filehippo is OK as long as you are careful not to install other things on the page. It is not unusual for websites to try to fool you into downloading the wrong thing. If you attempt to save the file it will often indicate just what you are getting. It is always best to Save Files rather than installing online]Always pop back and let us know the outcome - thanksmessage edited by Derek

http://www.computing.net/answers/security/adware-from-filehippocom-taking-over-my-windows-7-laptop/40156.html
Relevancy 44.29%

Hello,

I've been quite confused lately...Ever since I bought a new laptop, people kept telling me to take off the laptop battery once in a while and let it run solely on the charger/cable. They say that this could reduce the chances of overheating and could maintain a longer battery life. However, there have been others who say that it's actually bad to do so

Is it best to keep the laptop running with battery or not?

A:Is taking off the laptop battery a good idea?

The only guide lines I know of is to charge the battery up to 100% and then let it run out before charging it again so as to let the cells expand.

Can't see a problem not using the battery either though,its just a different power supply entry.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/156992-taking-off-laptop-battery-good-idea.html
Relevancy 43.86%

I'm running an HP Pavilion g7 laptop with Windows 8 64 bit.
4GB RAM
AMD A6-4400M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 2.7 GHz processor

It currently takes 6+ minutes to wake up from sleep mode or boot up from being turned off.

I have run malware and antivirus and it doesn't seem to help.

Is there any help I can get to make it faster?

Thank you,
Ang

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/558847/windows-8-laptop-taking-6-minutes-to-bootwake-up/
Relevancy 43.86%

Hi there I have a HP G i Laptop that is just taking really long to boot It started acting this way ever since I came back from my backpacking trip to G42 long boot HP Laptop time taking ridiculously to Europe last year where I accidentally dropped my laptop bag with my laptop still in it I didn t see HP G42 Laptop taking ridiculously long time to boot any change in the performance immediately after but rather a gradual decline in the performance after that the most obvious of which is the time HP G42 Laptop taking ridiculously long time to boot it takes to boot The moment I turn on my laptop I would need a good minutes to come to the windows login page and another - minutes to get to my desktop On the outside I have a slight dent at the corner of my laptop but other than that it seems to look ok on the outside Another major issue I face as soon as I login to my desktop is that I experience major slowness and lag Even a simple move of the mouse cursor would lag although not often it does happen Please help Do let me know if more information is required P S am not a tech savvy person nbsp

A:HP G42 Laptop taking ridiculously long time to boot

You should look in Windows Event Viewer, you may find some clues there.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hp-g42-laptop-taking-ridiculously-long-time-to-boot.1120568/
Relevancy 43.86%

My best friends laptop has been taking 10+ minutes to start up the past couple days, always in a constant black screen with the cursor sometimes appearing, but never moving. Unsure of what may be causing the issue.

Here are the computer specs, will provide any more information if needed:

UPDATE:

Now the black screen is no longer happening, but all programs are becoming constantly unresponsive.

A:Laptop taking 10+ minutes to start up, constant blackscreen

if its taking that long to start up; which it shouldnt. i would give it a thorough cleaning for malware, spyware, and adware. Those 3 things when they infect the system can cause the system to slow way way down. I would scan for those 3 things; download, install, and run the following programs from the following links:

Downloading AdwCleaner

SUPERAntiSpyware - Downloading File

https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Then; once you do that; I would also do a disk defrag. Click start, programs, accessories, system tools, then disk defragmenter and let that run. Give these steps a shot and see if it helps resolve the issue(s).

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/358602-laptop-taking-10-minutes-start-up-constant-blackscreen.html
Relevancy 43.86%

When I turn on my laptop it will load fine until the user profile screen. If I click my profile first (it's password protected) then it just hangs there and loads nothing (not even the password prompt box). If I load a user profile without a password first it will load, but that takes about 10 minutes to load, when it is loaded I can log out of that profile and log into mine.
It started about a month ago. The only thing I installed then was a flash player update, but I uninstalled that...
I was told by a friend that "the fix to that is reformatting the laptop, as the Registry and OS files are badly damaged."

Is that true and if so could it be fixed without needing to reformat the laptop?

A:Laptop taking ~10 minutes to load a user profile

Uninstalling a Flash update shouldn't corrupt your computer to that degree.

You may have malware on your computer.

Try a full scan with Malwarebytes.

Failing that, your user profile may be corrupted so you could try creating a new one.

If you still have a restore point available at a time before you installed Flash, you could try a system restore to that point.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/232439-laptop-taking-10-minutes-load-user-profile.html
Relevancy 43.86%

i spilled a glass of wine on my dell xps. i seemed to have done all of the right steps by shutting it off, removing battery, cleaning keyboard externally but then i noticed some keys were still sticking so i took it apart, with manual carefully, and there was only a wee bit of spots on the keyboard internally so cleaned with alcohol. all seemed well but when i reassembled the monitor isn't working. i can hear that it is starting up and working properly but the monitor is black. i was very careful with the cables, i didn't remove them or anything...does anyone know what could be happening?

thanks.

A:Saved laptop from spill but after taking apart monitor not working?

The LCD requires two cables, one for power, and the other the display connector.

It is likely the display cable which is probably ribbbon style, has come out of the back of the LCD's circuit connector block.

Either that, or one of the inverter leads has been slightly pulled out of the connector block and isn't making proper contact.

My advice would be to strip the display surround off, and remove the plastic trim running across the top of the keyboard and then check all the connections and with it in pieces, run it up again.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/saved-laptop-from-spill-but-after-taking-apart-monitor-not-working.158607/
Relevancy 43.43%

For some reason my laptop takes forever to connect to a shared drive on my desktop on my home network. I've tried connecting to it by mapping the drive and through windows explorer and same thing. Sometimes it won't even connect at all. I don't have this issue with other computers on the network. And when I say a long time I am meaning like 5 minutes or more. At first it was maybe only 1-2 minutes but it is getting worse. My mouse icon has had the spinning ring around it trying to connect the whole time I have been writing this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Both computers are Win 7 pro x64 with sp1. Desktop is wired directly to the router and laptop has excellent signal strength. Both have DHCP reservations set in the router. The way I usually connect is by starting a run box and typing \\[desktop pc name]\[share] then it just spins for a while.

A:Laptop taking a long time to connect to network share, if at all.

Hello,

From your laptop's Device Manager, locate the network adapter in question, right click on it, choose Advanced Tab, find link Speed and Duplex. Change the Auto Detect to Auto Negotiate 1000 or 100mbps. See if it helps.

Firewall or Security Software might be also interfering.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/197544-laptop-taking-long-time-connect-network-share-if-all.html
Relevancy 43.43%

hi guys i am new to this and am not normally stumped i have taken many computers back to factory condition and never had any problems this time after backing up all my files to disc in total i have taken this HP laptop back to factory condition there is no problem there the restore is my my to up taking condition back factory and laptop files backing fine but i cant seem to load the discs i created i have turned off the laptop completely as directed and started it again with the alt f keys backing up my files and taking my laptop back to factory condition which should automatically load my back up but nothing is happening and if i try to open the discs on their own i get an error message saying that the path isn't there what am i doing wrong and can some-body assist me please i have already re-installed my various purchased software but it is the photos and personal files that i particularly want to get back i am in your hands guys i have my own photos safely in a box but these photos belonged to someone else and i have a feeling she is not going to be very happy about this i will wait patiently for any assistance or guidance you may be able to give me cheers cathy

A:backing up my files and taking my laptop back to factory condition

Quote: Originally Posted by c194659

hi guys, i am new to this and am not normally stumped. i have taken many computers back to factory condition and never had any problems. this time, after backing up all my files to disc (15), in total, i have taken this HP laptop back to factory condition. there is no problem there. the restore is fine but i cant seem to load the discs i created. i have turned off the laptop completely, as directed and started it again with the alt f10 keys, which should automatically load my back up but nothing is happening and if i try to open the discs on their own, i get an error message saying that the path isn't there. what am i doing wrong and can some-body assist me please. i have already re-installed my various purchased software but it is the photos and personal files that i particularly want to get back. i am in your hands guys, i have my own photos safely in a box but these photos belonged to someone else and i have a feeling she is not going to be very happy about this. i will wait patiently for any assistance or guidance you may be able to give me. cheers, cathy

Hi and welcome.
Did you use the built in win 7 backup or something else?

If something else it may need to be re-installed in order to automatically restore.

We need more info to help

Thanks

Ken

http://www.sevenforums.com/backup-restore/206022-backing-up-my-files-taking-my-laptop-back-factory-condition.html
Relevancy 43%

Logfile of HijackThis v Scan saved at on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C WINDOWS System svchost exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast aswUpdSv exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashServ exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Bonjour mDNSResponder exe C Program Files Java jre bin jqs exe C Program Files Common Files LightScribe LSSrvc exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Documents and Settings All and very enclosed, to log laptop long time slow taking HJT running start a Users Application Data TabQuery tabquery exe C Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashMaiSv exe C HJT log enclosed, laptop taking a long time to start and running very slow Program Files Alwil Software Avast ashWebSv exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files TabQuery tabquery exe C Program Files hpq HP Wireless Assistant HP Wireless Assistant exe C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C Program Files Synaptics SynTP SynTPEnh exe C Program Files HP QuickPlay QPService exe C Program Files HJT log enclosed, laptop taking a long time to start and running very slow Hp HP Software Update HPWuSchd exe C PROGRA ALWILS Avast ashDisp exe C HJT log enclosed, laptop taking a long time to start and running very slow Program Files Java jre bin jusched exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMBgMonitor exe C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier GoogleToolbarNotifier exe C WINDOWS system ctfmon exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMIndexingService exe C Program Files Common Files Ahead Lib NMIndexStoreSvr exe C PROGRA HPQ Shared HPQTOA EXE C Program Files Internet Explorer iexplore exe C Documents and Settings NEW Desktop hijackthis sfx exe C WINDOWS system msiexec exe C Program Files HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http www facebook com R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Bar about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Connection Wizard ShellNext http ie redirect hp com svs rdr TYPE amp tp iehome amp locale EN GB amp c Q amp bd presario amp pf laptop R - HKCU Software Microsoft Windows CurrentVersion Internet Settings ProxyOverride local O - BHO AcroIEHlprObj Class - E F-C D - D -B D- B D BE B - C Program Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelper dll O - BHO no name - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - no file O - BHO no name - A D F - B- FE -ABEB- B E E CD - no file O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Helper - AA ED - DD- d - -CF F - C Program Files Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll O - BHO Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - AF DE - D - -B FA-CE B AD D - C Program Files Google GoogleToolbarNotifier swg dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO JQSIEStartDetectorImpl - E E F - CE- C -BC -EABFE F C - C Program Files Java jre lib deploy jqs ie jqs plugin dll O - BHO no name - ECF - - F - -A C DB - no file O - BHO no name - F A - B- E - A - F B D - no file O - Toolbar Fast Browser Search Toolbar - BB D -A - B -A -C A F EC - C Program Files Fast Browser Search IE FBStoolbar dll file missing O - Toolbar Google Toolbar - C B - - d - B - A CD F - C Program Files Google Google Toolbar GoogleToolbar dll O - HKLM Run hpWirelessAs... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hjt-log-enclosed-laptop-taking-a-long-time-to-start-and-running-very-slow.936183/
Relevancy 43%

Hi, All...
I have HP DV6 1111au laptop .. with 2gb memory n 320gb HDD..
Just few days back.. it started to boot on very slowly thought its working very smoothly..
I ran all the tests on HDD n memory, change the RAM, HDD.. but still the problem persists..
I read a lot around about the booting process being slow but could not find any appropriate solution fot this slow boot..
The booting options also load really slow, sometimes boot time is 5 min. on main HP logo screen sometimes its .. 10-25mins.. n sometimes it cannot get started.. then I have to manually restart it.. but when if its ON when restart command being given.. it boots up rilly fast..

I have hard reset over the laptop.. changing BIOS settings.. i.e loading the default one.. also tried to update the BIOS, which is F.18 version.. no new update ...

Please help me.. all people and experts out here.. rilly .. need help...

A:How Do i make laptop boot fast.. taking much time on HP logo screen

Hello and welcome yashish mate have a read of this
Optimize Windows 7 Just make sure you back the registry up - not that there is anything to go the authour is a very cluey fellow but more that you may change the wrong values and I always back it up as matter of course after a reinstall or making changes - then you can go back
Registry - Backup and Restore (same authour)

Now the HP screen you can stop that through the BIOS but not being familiar with yours I cannot say just what to change.

It could also be the hard drive is getting either clogged up or just plain old.

Run CCleaner to remove unwanted temp files and cookies but do save the cookies for sites that require passwords see pic
I am assuming too that you have defragmented this drive often??

Also try these in safe mode if necessary
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html < use the /f and /r options in Option 2 if necessary

If nothing of this works then it may need a test on the drive this is the usual one used
SeaTools for Windows | Seagate

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/347822-how-do-i-make-laptop-boot-fast-taking-much-time-hp-logo-screen.html
Relevancy 42.14%

my window has corrupted... when i `m going to install another window so it sticks so i need to format all the drives but how??

A:how to format all my laptop from another laptop or from bios

What exactly is the problem? Perhaps we can help you solve that so you don't have to resort to reinstalling/restoring Windows.However, if you're really set on that you should be able to restore the system to factory settings. What is the make/model of the laptop?

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-8/how-to-format-all-my-laptop-from-another-laptop-or-from-bios/2127.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi everyone,

I recently accidentally formatted a hard drive. So, I quickly install a file recovery software (EaseUS Data Recovery). Then the result shows that most of SWF files are big in size. I think that lots of my files have been converted or combine with other files. So, how do I recover my files?

A:File format changed into other format after format a hard drive

This may not be the best answer, but I would recover the files first. That is you biggest concern right now. Then try to see what you need to do to fix them.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/375998-file-format-changed-into-other-format-after-format-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 42.14%

Hi Guys I resolved to air my views and opinions on how I have been treated by Dell support centre Dell over my inspiron which was purchased inspiron less warranty getting 3148 laptop taking 6month, fixed is Dell under forever. went keyboard than yet bad a Dell inspiron 3148 keyboard went bad less than 6month, yet getting laptop fixed under warranty is taking forever. while ago Less than months after the purchase this laptop coupled with intermittent usage of the PC the keyboard stopped responding nbsp I nbsp Dell inspiron 3148 keyboard went bad less than 6month, yet getting laptop fixed under warranty is taking forever. contacted the dell support centre and sent in the laptop based on warranty for the keyboard to be replaced This is the th week its being there making life unbearable and without communication on when I will get the PC Dell inspiron 3148 keyboard went bad less than 6month, yet getting laptop fixed under warranty is taking forever. back I was initially told it will take days for the keyboard to be repaired today makes it th day nbsp I don t know Dell could do a laptop whose keyboard would go under month talk less of being treated in the inhumanly way possible for an item under warranty My product tag is K B Any help or idea how I can get out of this mess

A:Dell inspiron 3148 keyboard went bad less than 6month, yet getting laptop fixed under warranty is taking forever.

Hi GEN2TY,
Thank you for writing to Dell Community Forum.
Please private message us the details of the location you have sent the laptop for repair along with your email id.
Also, request you to edit the previous post which has the service tag of your system as it contains personal information.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19984207
Relevancy 41.28%

So I just bought the HP Pavilion DV and it came of course with Vista So I rounded up all the drivers I needed and prepared to wipe it and install XP I have done this before on many computers However I get Laptop Format New Can't an error message after it boots from the CD I get the Windows setup screen with the blue and the grey bar at the bottom telling you what it s doing But after that instead of the menu I get quot A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer quot It tells me to check Can't Format New Laptop for viruses and remove any new hard drives and such Then quot Technical Information STOP X B Can't Format New Laptop XFFFFFADF A C XFFFFFFFFC X X quot I have no idea what this means and the disc I am using has no apparent scratches Specs Vista bit trying to load on XP bit GB RAM GB HD Nvidia Geforce M nbsp

Relevancy 41.28%

Pls can someone help me how i can turn my Windows 8 to Windows 7? Pls tell me step by step thank you.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a9e8fe62-42f6-48ce-8ea2-7e199881f055/i-cant-format-my-laptop?forum=w7itproinstall
Relevancy 41.28%
Relevancy 41.28%

My son has a laptop with w98. It stopped working. Windows will not bootup. I can only boot with a start up disk. I can read the hard drive but the directory is really short? I try to refomat and get this message "Format not supported on drive c:'. I try fdisk and get "error reading fixed disk". The scandisk runs fast only a matter of seconds and it is done? I don't know what else to try??? I set the cmos to boot straight off the 3.5. I don't care about the data and would like to reboot and reinstall windows 98. Thaks

A:Laptop will not format

It is possible that on a laptop that old that the hard drive has died. Please provide the make and model of the laptop.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-will-not-format.494896/
Relevancy 41.28%
Relevancy 41.28%

Hello!
This is my first time in this forum,
and I have problems in my Laptop as I try to format it blue screen always appear and I have try to consult with my fren they told me that "I have to update BIOS" It seem a strange word to me so I request any one can help me for this problem.
Thanks.

A:Trying to format laptop

By updating your BIOS, your friend meant for you to go to the web site of the laptop manufacturer and download the latest BIOS update under Software/Drivers.
What kind of laptop and model please?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/trying-to-format-laptop.159907/
Relevancy 41.28%

Dear Sir, Madam
I would be highly apprciated if you can help me fixing my problem up, I got a laptop with Window NT as an operating system, and i havent used this computer for quite a while and due to this i forgot my password, therefore i decided to format the Hard disk so i can reinstal the operating system, and create new password, i've used windows 98 startup disk to format the hard disk but i was recieving an error message which says that " Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file "
would u plz let me know if i got to boot from Floppy disk how can re-install this file so i can complete the formatting procedur.

Thanks a lot in advance

Mike

A:Format My Laptop

mikeazzawi said:

Dear Sir, Madam
I would be highly apprciated if you can help me fixing my problem up, I got a laptop with Window NT as an operating system, and i havent used this computer for quite a while and due to this i forgot my password, therefore i decided to format the Hard disk so i can reinstal the operating system, and create new password, i've used windows 98 startup disk to format the hard disk but i was recieving an error message which says that " Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file "
would u plz let me know if i got to boot from Floppy disk how can re-install this file so i can complete the formatting procedur.

Thanks a lot in advance

MikeClick to expand...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/format-my-laptop.288964/
Relevancy 41.28%

I have a Dell D531 Laptop with windows vista. I want to format my laptop, but i don't have the driver disk for the wifi. If i was to format the laptop do i need it, or will it already be installed with the vista cd? What steps would i need to properly format my laptop

A:I want to format my laptop

Welcome aboard If you use Dell's recovery CD, which you should have gotten with your computer, or if you use Dell's recovery partition, you don't have to worry about drivers.They all will be reinstalled.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/336712/i-want-to-format-my-laptop/
Relevancy 41.28%

i have toshiba a100 laptop and when i try to run the recovery CD it starts by displaying "loading ramdisk image"..... when it finishes the computer just restarts and does it over again.... anybody know what the problem is?

Relevancy 41.28%

I tried to format my laptop using USB to install WIN 7 but i found an error . please help

A:How to Format Laptop Using USB ?

Boot from the install disc and tell it to format the drive.  It's that simple.  If you need more help, you'll need to provide a lot more detail, like what you're doing with USB, what your system is, and what error message says exactly.

Good luck.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/616901/how-to-format-laptop-using-usb/
Relevancy 41.28%

hey there

i can't format my laptop, my dvd is broken and i need format my laptop using usb but i cant enter my bios to change externel dvd drive to usb drive. my laptop keep reboot i dont why! i already do like sfc/scannow ,malware,chkdsk eveything is okay.

A:I cant format my laptop

Do you know how to enter the BIOS on this laptop---what key are you using? The proper key varies from brand to brand.

Fill out your system specs. At this point, we have no idea what type of laptop you have.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/247821-i-cant-format-my-laptop.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hello, I buy my laptop from Qatar,,,and ,when i was buy that..its already install  W8.1,, After its update to W10,, now i need to format my laptop and install W7,,i select boot menu and restart..but its not working..CD is working well..but not formatting my laptop........ ???

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/Can-t-format-my-Laptop/td-p/5749189
Relevancy 41.28%

Alright well,

Some of you know I got a brand new laptop about 4 months ago. I am going to wipe the hard drive, and re-install windows. That only thing is that Acer didn't give me a install disk, but i do have a windows 7 home premium disk when my dad got his computer, but i was wondering if the product key on the bottom of my laptop will work so i can install windows and start fresh.

plus this way will allow me to not have to deal with Acers default programs.

A:Going to re format my laptop

I highly recommend that you perform a Factory Restore instead of a Clean Install due to the potential loss of default drivers (as a for instance, on my system I could not replace a few as they are Acer's and their drivers site doesn't have it all). It is essentially the same thing as a "Clean Install" (the HDD gets reformatted), it just doesn't result in the total loss of Drivers or other media that are also preserved on the hidden backup partition.

As for Acer's "bloatware", you can merely uninstall all of that and disable other settings. That's the best method with OEM systems IMHO.

Here's how to do it without wasting many ISO disks: http://www.sevenforums.com/890428-post22.html

Either way, up to you... I myself prefer the Factory Restore because there's no hassles other than reinstalling my programs and getting rid of the bloatware, as opposed to hunting down Drivers and praying they're the right ones in addition to all the other crap involved with system restoration.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/141687-going-re-format-my-laptop.html
Relevancy 41.28%

my laptop is dell inspirion n4010 spec is i3 2.7ghz 2gb ram.. i install win 7 on on it but it still lag..although I havent install any software..i think its not normal..when I go to bios also lag

A:My laptop already format but still lag

Has all the drivers been installed/updated after reinstalling Windows? Are there any device error listed in Device Manager?

What are you doing when the "lag" occurs?

How are the temps of the laptop? Has it been cleaned lately?

Is the laptop still covered under the Dell Warranty?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f299/my-laptop-already-format-but-still-lag-644094.html
Relevancy 41.28%

I have the same problem, just done opposite. My dell laptop cannot be formatted due to using my e-machine cd. I don't know what to do now. The laptop was a gift for Christmas and was an refurbished one at that. Any ideas?

A:Cannot format laptop

Hello and Welcome to TSF

As you can see I moved your thread and changed the title, you will get better response having your own thread.

Please be patient someone will reply will advise a.s.a.p.

Geekgirl

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cannot-format-laptop-216807.html
Relevancy 41.28%

Hello A search didn t yield any helpful results Hopefully I m posting this in the right forum I recently purchased a new laptop it is a Toshiba w Windows XP home I hadn t purchased a new computer in years and was apalled when I started it up and found junk software arroware possible spyware and Format laptop?? new over a dozen miscellaneous trial software programs pre-installed on my Format new laptop?? system I have assessed the situation and found that distinguishing between the unnecessary and necessary software drivers and other stuff I want would not only take hours but also simply using the uninstall feature doesn t remove a lot of these trial versions Getting rid of this stuff will take a lot of time So for those of you who have experienced this is formatting the harddrive a reasonable solution I have a copy of Windows XP PRO that I used on my old system which I would use if I were to do this My main concern is that I may have a problem finding the correct drivers for my laptop or that any special software that comes with the system I might want I will miss out on It would have been extremely helpful if Toshiba had included some sort of list of the software that comes pre-installed so that I can decide what s worth saving and what I don t want Thanks nbsp

A:Format new laptop??

that is kind of like dealing with a cocroach problem by torching your house to get rid of them.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/format-new-laptop.41183/
Relevancy 41.28%

My uncle was given an old Dell Latitude cpi laptop at work. Though, no discs or anything were included and the machine isn't formatted, it loads up to the password entry screen and I can't get passed this because they didn't include a password. Is there anyway to format without having a disk? There's no floppy drive, only a cd-rom.

Relevancy 41.28%

something is wrong with my laptop it has been a while that it turns off automatically. i don't know why i even got help from here n did scan it. i think everything is all good but still i can't find out what is problem of it that it turns off, it didn't used to turn off quickly but today it has turned off more than 20 times.
So i thought to re-format it... but i don't know how, i have this recovery CD that i got from the store but it doesn't say how to use it or what so ever...

Can any please help me with it? its really bugging me... THANKS in advance

Relevancy 40.85%

My laptop DELL m GHz RAM has gone very slow which the CPU usage almost constantly staying at I have checked it with registry cleaner kaspersky internet security and ad-aware se nothing has found So I completely formatted it but it remains the same here is my HJT log Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at PM after 100% CPU laptop format even my usage on Platform Windows XP SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v SP Boot mode Normal Running processes C WINDOWS System smss exe C WINDOWS system winlogon exe C WINDOWS system services exe C WINDOWS system lsass exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ZcfgSvc exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe C WINDOWS Explorer EXE C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin WLKeeper exe C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe C WINDOWS system wscntfy CPU usage 100% even after format my laptop exe C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe C WINDOWS system igfxsrvc exe C PROGRA Lavasoft AD-AWA Ad-Aware CPU usage 100% even after format my laptop exe C PROGRA Intel Wireless Bin XConfig exe C WINDOWS system taskmgr exe C WINDOWS system spoolsv exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe C WINDOWS system svchost exe O - HKLM Run IMJPMIG quot C WINDOWS IME imjp IMJPMIG EXE quot Spoil RemAdvDef Migration O - HKLM Run PHIME ASync C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE SYNC O - HKLM Run PHIME A C WINDOWS system IME TINTLGNT TINTSETP EXE IMEName O - HKLM Run igfxtray C WINDOWS system igfxtray exe O - HKLM Run igfxhkcmd C WINDOWS system hkcmd exe O - HKLM Run igfxpers C WINDOWS system igfxpers exe O - HKLM Run IntelZeroConfig C Program Files Intel Wireless bin ZCfgSvc exe O - HKLM Run IntelWireless C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin ifrmewrk exe tf Intel PROSet Wireless O - HKLM Run SigmatelSysTrayApp stsystra exe O - HKLM Run BluetoothAuthenticationAgent rundll exe bthprops cpl BluetoothAuthenticationAgent O - Extra button Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Extra Tools menuitem Windows Messenger - FB F -F - d -BB E- C F - C Program Files Messenger msmsgs exe O - Service EvtEng - Intel Corporation - C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin EvtEng exe O - Service RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin RegSrvc exe O - Service Spectrum Event Monitor S EventMonitor - Intel Corporation - C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin S EvMon exe O - Service WLANKEEPER - Intel Corporation - C Program Files Intel Wireless Bin WLKeeper exe -- End of file - bytes Thanks nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cpu-usage-100-even-after-format-my-laptop.697891/
Relevancy 40.85%

hi.. i need 2 no how u would formatt a laptop with a floppy disk drive. after i format it i want to install win 98. i currently have win. 95. its nto cappable of win. xp tho... which sux cuz thats what i have on my desktop...

peace out

anderhal

A:how do u format a laptop and install win. 98? ps.. im new is this where it goes?>

Travel over to bootdisk and download a Win98 bootdisk...Un-zip the file to create a boot floppy and use it to boot the laptop. At the A: prompt type format C: /u and it will finish the task and return to the A; prompt. Then boot with the Win98 CD and setup should run.

p.s. You might want to get copies of all your drivers before you format, just in case...

patio.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-do-u-format-a-laptop-and-install-win-98-ps-im-new-is-this-where-it-goes.25858/
Relevancy 40.85%

I have formated it 5 time and it's constantly asking to format it..... HELP!!

My laptop is an MSI that's all I know.

For god's sake help please!!

A:Laptop keeps asking to format C drive!

On your laptop it should tell you the model type, and manufacturer. Please tell us that info so we can help you more.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/131149-laptop-keeps-asking-format-c-drive.html