Windows Support Forum

Networking Error Between Windows 8 and all other computers

Q: Networking Error Between Windows 8 and all other computers

Everything on the network was set up fine with sharing between all the computers and it seemed like as time went on the windows computer encountered more and more problems One of the xp computers suddenly required a password to access the windows computer Windows suddenly couldn t access any of the other computers but you could still push files to it from the other ones But now I cant push any files to the windows computer or Between other Networking computers Error Windows and 8 all access any of the windows or xp computers files from the windows comp I get an error message saying Network Error Windows cannot access insertnamehere insertdrivehere You do not have permission to access insertnamehere insertdrivehere Contact your network administrator to request access I get this error message through both windows and and xp Networking Error Between Windows 8 and all other computers gives a cannot access error But I can see the drives I wish to access and the computers themselves I just cannot get into the drives even though all my permissions seem to be set properly If anyone can help it would be appreciated nbsp

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: Networking Error Between Windows 8 and all other computers

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: Networking Error Between Windows 8 and all other computers

First it is a big time security hole to allow shared access directly to a drive

Windows cannot access \\insertnamehere\insertdrivehereClick to expand...

Sharing should be to a directory such as

\\systemName\publicFolder or
\\systemName\personalDocuments
Sharing has two major components:

network access to the \\systemName
NTFS access to the specific sharedFolderName
Hopefully your XP is SP3 which has the LLTP service necessary for Win/{7&8}. If you have XP SP1 or 2, then find the LLTP update for it.

Before we go crazy, you mentioned

any of the other computersClick to expand...

so verify that all the other systems can share with each other (ie ignore Win/8) in both directions A can share with B and conversely. This will ensure the systems are configured correctly AND that the firewall is not a problem.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-error-between-windows-8-and-all-other-computers.192500/
Relevancy 61.06%

I have a Toshiba Satellite running Windows 7 home pre and a desk top running the same. I want to network the two together so I can share external Hard Drives and such.
I want to do this so the files can only be seen and or read by my two computers.
I have a room mate who is also running windows 7.
What can i do to make sure he dose not have access to my computers?

Both are connected to the internet VIA wireless connection. ( router in room mates room ) I have both computers connected together via a cross over cable also.

A:Networking two windows 7 computers together.

What you want is called a "homegroup":
Home sweet homegroup: Networking the easy way in Windows 7

Only machines joined to the homegroup will have access to the files.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/160963-networking-two-windows-7-computers-together.html
Relevancy 61.06%

I have 3 windows xp sp2 computers, all wired with cat 5 cable to a linksys cable router. The router is attached to my cable modem and we all have no problems sharing a broadband connection.
The computers can not see each other. Each computer has its own, different name and each is part of a MSHOME workgroup. File and print sharing is turned on in each.
Trend Micro Internet Security is supplying a firewall for each and the firewall is set to "office network." Windows firewall is disabled in favor of the Trend Micro.
The network did function, either b4 Trend Micro or SP2, I'm not sure which.
Any Suggestions?

Relevancy 61.06%

Hello I've spent - days now trying to solve the networking mysteries of Win In a nutshell This computer win - cannot see the other computers and shares on our small studio network except for the windows non-windows computers. see will 7 not Networking machines also win - the other computers shares are all XP We have identical machines side by side one can see all the computers this one cannot Both are fresh installs There are approx other machines shares on the network Both computers have vista installed on a seperate drive that see the network fine if booted into Networking will not see non-windows 7 computers. Both have homegroup turned off and have workgroup enabled with the same workgroup name quot WORKGROUP quot Both have discovery and file sharing enabled Both use the same network controller and have the same updated win driver -I have tried turning on off iv which I see some people think don't think is an issue -I have disabled FIREWALL -I have disabled anti-virus -I have rebooted after each change -I have tried different locations cables on the hub -I have tried the cable hub location on the win computer that is seeing the network computers ps I forgot to mention that if I type in the IP address in addres bar I can access one of the other machines but it will not show up in the network window I am really at a loss and have read about every post I can find and tried every suggestion Any further assistance would be much appreciated Thank you Steve

A:Networking will not see non-windows 7 computers.

Quote: Originally Posted by iguana

Hello.

I've spent 2-3 days now trying to solve the networking mysteries of Win 7.

In a nutshell. This computer (win7-64) cannot see the other computers and shares on our small studio network except for the windows 7 machines (also win7-64). (the other computers/shares are all XP)

We have 2 identical machines side by side, one can see all the computers, this one cannot. Both are fresh installs.

There are approx 8 other machines/shares on the network.

Both computers have vista installed on a seperate drive that see the network fine if booted into.

Both have homegroup turned off, and have workgroup enabled with the same workgroup name "WORKGROUP". Both have discovery and file sharing enabled. Both use the same network controller, and have the same updated win7 driver.

-I have tried turning on/off iv6 (which I see some people think/don't think is an issue).
-I have disabled FIREWALL
-I have disabled anti-virus
-I have rebooted after each change
-I have tried different locations/cables on the hub
-I have tried the cable/hub location on the win7 computer that is seeing the network computers.

ps. I forgot to mention that if I type in the IP address in addres bar I can access one of the other machines, but it will not show up in the network window.

I am really at a loss, and have read about every post I can find, and tried every suggestion.

Any further assistance would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Steve.

Do you mean, cannot see or cannot access? Do all machines have ''eveyone'' set in permissions?

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/41835-networking-will-not-see-non-windows-7-computers.html
Relevancy 60.63%

this is my first 2000 (how?) two Windows computers networking post here so hello everyone I have a pair of Windows Professional computers Both have built-in ethernet I would like to networking two Windows 2000 computers (how?) send files from one computer to the other so I can back up files Could someone post a simple cookbook recipe on how to do that simple quot two-computer quot networking two Windows 2000 computers (how?) thing Something like this would be very helpful First turn on the first computer Turn off firewalls then go to start gt gt settings gt networking two Windows 2000 computers (how?) gt in the tab called quot network xyz quot type in xyz Turn on the second computer go to start gt gt settings gt gt xyz set that computer to xyx connect both computers using the ethernet cable go to start gt gt xyz gt gt abc on the first computer set the tab marked quot abc quot to quot def quot go to start gt gt settings contol panel gt gt network xyz click on the quot enable file sharing quot box Although I m good with other aspects of computers I don t know any network terms at all So please explain any terms you use like quot primary network logon quot quot domain quot quot local user account quot quot permission quot or quot workgroup quot if it s necessary for me to do the setup I m finding networking has it s own peculiar language and I know none of it That being said I don t care about the quot theory quot For now I just want it to work So pretend you are trying to train a rat to go down a maze rather than educating someone to become a computer science professor The rat doesn t understand he just follows a path that works This will be one stupid-yet-happy rat if I can get this thing to work nbsp

Relevancy 60.63%

I have 2 computers called Viva and main both running Windows 7 Pro (different product Ids) and I am haveing problems.

Viva can access all of the files on Main but when I try to access Viva from Main I get a message "cannot access \\Viva\d" The pemissions have been set to allow read and write on all hard drives and all are set for shareing with full access permissions.

I would welcome any suggestions.

Walter

A:Problems networking 2 Windows 7 Pro computers

Sounds like you are attempting to share the entire harddrive between those machines. This isn't easy on Windows 7 because it's considered to be a security risk.

You would be better off using Homegroups for sharing or you can share the entire User folder using the Network sharing feature. If you really need to share the entire harddrive I can tell you how to do that also, just let me know if you need those instructions.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/91111-problems-networking-2-windows-7-pro-computers.html
Relevancy 59.77%

Dear all Can anyone advise me on a mixed network issue I have several PCs at home as well as Networking computers versions that Windows of running different are music streaming devices such as Pure Sensia and Freecom MusicPal The PCs run a mix of Windows HP and Ultimate all bit I use Serviio to share music to the streaming devices and PCs The PCs all use password protected network shares and I selectively share certain folders from different PCs to enable both simple file sharing and backup which are simple script driven processes All has been working reliably for years until Dum-Dum-Dum Windows A new laptop arrives with Windows preinstalled I've got it up and running but cannot work out how to add Microsoft cloud accounts such as those directly linked to OneDrive onto the windows PCs to enable password protected sharing to and from this new laptop The accounts have the same usernames on each flavour of windows PC but the windows version Networking computers that are running different versions of Windows also has an email Can anyone advise me on how to work round this without using only local accounts on the windows laptop Many thanks Don

A:Networking computers that are running different versions of Windows

Your Win 10 device using an email address tells me that your logon to that PC is via a Microsoft account rather than an account which is local to your machine. I would say this is the problem. With a Microsoft account it seems to be all or nothing. You either use a Microsoft account on all devices or you do not.

To change your account on the Win 10 PC open Control panel, select User Accounts, User Accounts again, then select Make changes to my account in PC settings. On that screen select to change your account to a local account. Follow the wizard to enter your logon info again and when finished you will be signed out of your Microsoft account and be back at the Windows logon screen. Enter your new password to log in to Windows and your new local account.

Things should work must better now.

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/36448-networking-computers-running-different-versions-windows.html
Relevancy 55.47%

THE PROBLEM On a new month-old computer with Win home pre-installed Windows Home Version OS Build as well as on other machines on the network all except for mine are running Win home and all were upgraded from Win to Win home using the free Microsoft update method Opening File Explorer and clicking on the Network link in the Navigation Pane will show less than half of the computers that are on the network both in the Navigation Pane under quot Network quot and in the Content Area under quot Computer quot The other computers APPEAR to be gone missing unavailable However if you click in the Location Bar Windows computers fix see other Networking to 10 Windows 10 and MANUALLY type in one of the missing computer names for example quot CHUCK-PC quot then it will now display the shared Windows 10 Networking fix to see other Windows 10 computers items in the Content Area and the newly connected computer name will show over in the Navigation Pane under network But when you click the Network link to display the computers again Windows 10 Networking fix to see other Windows 10 computers you do NOT see that newly discovered computer listed in the Content Area EVEN THOUGH it is still showing over on the left in the Navigation Pane An additional observation is that if you close the File Explorer and then re-open it the manually typed in computer name is now gone from the left in the Navigation Pane you have to manually type it in again to make it appear note all computers are on the same Homegroup all are Private Network all are set to discover and share everything note attached a Win Windows 10 Networking fix to see other Windows 10 computers ultimate laptop to the system with same Homegroup and it could see and be seen by every single computer on the Network note the computers which seem to be invisible ARE showing under the Homegroup over in the Navigation Pane and their Music Pictures Videos folders are visible but not any other shared folders THE SOLUTION After much trial and error I finally found a method of trial and success I tried all solutions offered on various other threads to no avail So I tried a few out-of-the box options and found one that seems to be working We have computers in our office running Win and running Win on the same Homegroup All of the Win computers could see ALL of the other computers on the network no problem But ALL of the Win computers could not see all of the other Win computers How to fix this The default in Win is to have NETBIOS turned off or set to auto which is basically off depending on your router The trick appears to be turning that NETBIOS setting on Here are the steps of what I did on my network to turn on NETBIOS to get Win machines to be able to see each other on the NETWORK tab in File Explorer - Click the Start Menu or Cortana search and type quot network quot Or Click on Settings - gt Network amp Internet - Select Network and Sharing Center when it appears - Click on Change Adapter Settings in the left pane - Right-click on your Ethernet Wireless adapter and select Properties - Select the TCP IP v protocol and click Properties - Click the Advanced button - Click the WINS tab and check the box Enable NetBIOS over TCP IP - Click OK - Click OK - Click Close I did the above steps on EVERY one of the Win computers and then powered it off After all computers were changed and powered down I rebooted the main computer that the Homegroup was originally set up on first Then I rebooted each other computers and voila I can now see each and every Win computer from any other computer Hope this helps some of you

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/40303-windows-10-networking-fix-see-other-windows-10-computers.html
Relevancy 52.03%

How do you hook two Computer up to One printer?

A:Networking computers

You've left a lot of open ends eg. O.S.; type of connection; dial-up/broadband.....you can also direct connect...I suggest you see some of the basic info here--->PracticallyNetworked to get some basic background and then repost in the Networking forum here..
Good luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-computers.222912/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hello,

Do you have advice concerning linking two computers by USB ports?

We may be able to utilize a Linksys Wireless G router. A simpler solution would be preferred with a cable and a box.

Is there any way to use a network hub? Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

A:Networking two computers by USB

"Do you have advice concerning linking two computers by USB ports?"

a. Don't.
b. If you do, make sure you have the correct cable because an incorrect cable can cause physical harm to one or both computers.

"Is there any way to use a network hub?"

Yes; connect each computer to the hub. A switch is preferable. A router is far preferable and results in a network that is easier to use.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-two-computers-by-usb.513546/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hiya all.
My problem is. I am trying to create 2 home networks for 2 different people. Both are using a motorola fibre optic connection, 1 is wireless, 1 is cable. I cannot get either to recieve packets or recognise the other computer in a network. I feel like i am missing something basic, am i?

Relevancy 52.03%

I am Networking Illiterate. I have a DSL connection for accessing the Internet. I have a Linksys N wireless router on my primary computer. I have a Linksys Wireless N USB Adapter on the secondary computer. Both computers access the internet without difficulty. Both computers are running WinXP Professional SP2. Both computers have built-in networking capability through Asus motherboards. PROBLEM: I would like to copy and access the files on each computer with the other. Nothing I have tried works. I would really appreciate step by step setup solutions. Should I hard-wire the computers? Should I use a crossover cable between the computers? Or Category 5 cabling together with the Wireless router? If so, HOW? Or, do I need a completely different setup? It sounds to me that I know just enough to screw everything up.

A:Networking two computers

Hi

Not sharing files...??

Turn off any firewalls on both PC's
Programs such as macafee also need to be disabled.

Double click "My network places" and run the "setup a home or small office network"

Follow the wizard through and answer all the questions.

Job done.

However I didnt get this part of your post

"I have a Linksys N wireless router on my primary computer. I have a Linksys Wireless N USB Adapter on the secondary computer"

I assume you mean that the primary computer is cabled directly to a Wireless router and that the laptop uses a USB adaptor to link to it wirelessly.

If so then both your PC's will recieve their internet from the wireless router and as such will receive an IP address from it as well.

Go here www.practicallynetworked.com for a full guide on setting up file sharing.

Regards

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-two-computers.67580/
Relevancy 52.03%

How do I network my two computers so that we can see both of them?

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi My friend asked me to fix his old computer which is heavily infected by viruses worms malwares and I think it s all clean now so I thought I could use it for networking so I Networking computers between 2 bought a -meter network cable the one that both ends would be plugged directly on the cpu I set up everything using the network wizard and everything seems to be fine I can share files with the other computer but when i tried to play games none of the computers can see each other game I m pretty much sure about the cable I bought since it is exactly the same with the Networking between 2 computers one we used on my friend s house to play RA So I guess something is wrong with the settings of the computer perhaps because of the infections that was there before Or maybe because my computer is in Windows Xp Pro Sp and the other one is in Windows Xp Pro sp Some more weird thing came up after that my computer can t even enter the network lobby of red alert no error pops out Networking between 2 computers it just kicks me back to the main menu and also in counter strike nothing happens when I click quot find server quot But The Other computer the old one can do so without a hitch I ve also tried starcraft and Warcraft I can enter the game lobby but can t see games regardless of who creates the game

A:Networking between 2 computers

I bought a 10-meter network cable (the one that both ends would be plugged directly on the cpu)If you are using a direct cable connection (without a router) you need a special cable.It is called a cross-over cable or sometimes called a null cableThey look the same as a regular cable only a couple pair of wires are switched at the terminal connector

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/218972/networking-between-2-computers/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hey i have two computers on a network and computer 'A' can ping computer 'B' but 'B' cannot ping 'A'. Computer 'B' can ping itself with 'Ping localhost' cmd.
I can't figure it out. please help!

A:Networking 2 computers

Check for a firewall if applicable on B. Make sure you have the same workgroup name or domain name. Check access permissions on computer B.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/networking-2-computers-120142.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I tried to read the tutorials from this forum regarding networking.
I am too dumb to understand. They are all Greek to me.

Is there a " How-to for Dummies " instructions for connecting my 2 laptop computers ?
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

They are both wireless enabled, but because my Vista computer battery refuses to charge, it is always plugged in. ( $124 for a battery replacement ? No way. )
In fact both my laptops are plugged in all the time. ( don't laugh ).

ISP is Bell.net.

t-4-2

A:how to networking between my 2 computers ?

Do you have both computers on the internet at the same time? If so, how?

Assuming no the simplest way is to buy a wireless router. You hook up your modem to the router and the Vista laptop to the router via ethernet cable. The Win 7 computer connects wirelessly.

You can then set up a Homegroup with the two computers.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/248600-how-networking-between-my-2-computers.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I am trying to network my 2 computers.. I have allowed sharing of everything. However when I try to use a folder that I have no specifically stated sharing it says access denied.. I have allowed all of C drive to be shared.. but again its only certain folders I can acces.. I want to be able to access all of C drive on both computers. Also when I try to print from the computer that is not directly hooked up to the printer i get access denied yet I have shared the printer. I have password protection set to off.. Please help me.. I have one computer with windows vista and the other is winxp... Oh and I have set the networks both to workgroup.. any help?

Thanks
Sweet C

Relevancy 52.03%

My original network was a laptop connected wirelessly to a router, which was connected to a DSL modem, with the desktop hardwired to the router. Both computers running W98.
The desktop has now been changed to one running XP home. I've run the Network Setup Wizard, but am unable to get the network running.
Should I have disabled Network Neighbourhood on the laptop, and if so, how do I do that.
Is there anything else I should do?

A:Networking 2 computers with different OS

Is the XP desktop able to access the internet? And is your problem not being able to see the other computer on the network? If so then you just need to place the XP machine in the proper workgroup. Right click on my computer, go to properties, then Computer Name tab, down at the bottom click on change to change computer name or join a domain, there you can change which workgroup its in.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-2-computers-with-different-os.27853/
Relevancy 52.03%

This is my first time with networking. I have two computers, computer 1 is vista home premium, computer 2 is xp home. I went and got a router (linksys wired) and followed the cd instructions. No problem there, ran cables and hooked up both computers to router. No problem there, both can access internet. Now I would like to set up the file sharing between the two. So what do I do and how do I do it? Please bare with me as I am new to this networking stuff. Thaks for any help.

A:Networking 2 computers.

Go to my computer, right click on the C drive and a menu will come up which includes "sharing and security". Click on that, then click the check boxes which say "share this folder on the network" and "allow users to change files" Some other questions will pop up - turn on read and write and when it says "are you sure?" and "are you really sure?" say yes. You might want to disable the firewall for the moment too. Do this on both computers. Then see if you can browse each computer from the other. Go into "my computer". Go up one menu (the green up arrow symbol near the top left of the window". Click "my network places". Then (XP this is), click "View workgroup computers" When you can see the other computer, drag a shortcut onto the desktop so you don't have to go through all the above to find your other computer. Double click the computer name and you should be able to browse the remote hard drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-2-computers.736137/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have a Windows ME desktop and a Windows XP laptop that are both able to connect to the internet through my wireless router, but I want to be able to link the two so I can backup my files. I have tried the networking wizard a number of times, but I can't figure out how to make it work. Any help would be very appriciated.

A:Networking ME and XP computers

Several years ago (when I didn't know too much), I also had trouble networking ME with XP. I'm pretty sure It can be done because my boss at the time hired a computer guy who got it done, however ME was designed for home environment, not networking environment. I will tell you what he basically told us: Upgrade! If your PC is strong enough (at least 1Ghz Processor), go to XP. Otherwise (if less than 1Ghz) I would recommend 2000 Professional. XP is much more CPU and Memory intensive than 2000.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-me-and-xp-computers.44796/
Relevancy 52.03%

I recently purchased a new HP computer with windows vista. I want to network this computer with an older older computer with XP via a netgear wireless router I have had in use for a few years now. All I really want to do is transfer files from the old comp to new one. I recently reset the router because I could not remember the password. Somewhere on the new comp I stumbled upon a place that asked me for a passphrase. I put in that long set of characters thats on the router login page and the page said my passphrase was invalid. I don't know what to now. Can some one help

Thanks in Advance

A:Networking 2 Computers

If you are talking about a WPA passphrase, disable encryption on the router and connect via wireless. Assuming success then re-enable WPA encryption on the router and remember (or write down) the passphrase you use.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-2-computers.611438/
Relevancy 52.03%

I am having trouble conecting my 2 computers together. One has XP the other has win 2000 sercive pack 4. XP is showing the conection but the 2000 is not.

A:networking 2 computers

It would help if you told us how you're connecting them. Router, straight cable, crossover cable, what? How did you configure the networking on each machine?

For each computer, let's see this:

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-2-computers.646663/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have two desktops and a Netgear Router which I have setup to access the internet simultaneously. So I have a good connection and the router works quite well.

I now want to setup the two desktop to share files and synchronise each other but I do not know how to go about this.

Please can anyone suggest a step by step procedure on how to do this. One of the desktop is Windows XP while the other is Windows 2000.

A:Networking Two Computers

All you need to do is set both PCs in the same workgroup and then turn on file sharing for a couple folders in each.
RClick on My Computer/properties/Computer name tab/change button. At the bottom is the workgroup name window. Just put something like: Homenet or whatever in BOTH pc's. The name must be exactly the same in both.
Now in both PC's make a new folder and set it's properties to share. Or set any existing folder to share. To share a folder/r click on it/ properties/share tab. Select share this folder.

You're done.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-two-computers.51265/
Relevancy 52.03%

HI,
I'm looking for the cheapest way to network two computers. One is a 133 running windows95 and the other is an 866 running Windows ME. Both have network adapters and are in seperate rooms.
I was thinking I could use a crossover ethernet cable. Then would I need any extra software? How would I set it up?
Let me know if you have any ideas.

A:networking two computers

A crossover cable is the easiest, but not expandable (you can't add more computer later w/o buying more stuff). You won't need any additinal software.
Open up the Network properties on one of the computers (Control Panel/Network). You are going to need a networking service, an networking adapter, a networking protocol and File & Printer sharing.
If it's not already there, you will need to install Client for Microsoft Networks. Click the "Add" button, choose "Client" and "Add". In the left hand colum hilight "Microsoft" and in the right "Client for Microsoft Networks". Click "OK".
The next thing will be the network adapter. i am goint to assume this is installed already. if not, follow the directions that came with your card.
Now you need to install the Protocol. Again click the "Add" button in the Network Properties window. Choose "Protocol" and "Add". Choose "NetBEUI" and click "Add" (or "OK").
You should be back at the Network Properties window. Click the "Add File and Printer Sharing" button near the bottom of the window. Make sure there is a check in both boxes in the window that pops up. Click "OK".
Click on the secont tab (I can't remember what it is calles right now) and put a computer and domain name in the correct boxes. Click the "OK" button at the bottom of the window.
Windows will require a restart at this point. Follow the steps above for the second computer, making sure the domain name is the same, and the compter name is different.
Now you need to share the drive(s) and printer(s) so that the network is useable. When Windows restarts, go to My Computer, right click on the drive you want to share, and click on "Sharing". Select the "Share this Drive" radio button, specify a share name, and click "OK". Repeat this for the printers, only in the Printers folder. You can also share specific folders instead of an entire drive.
To map a drive, go to Network Neighborhood, double click on the computer, and right click on the shared recourse you want to map and choose "Map Network Drive". Pick a letter, and next time you want to access that drive/folder, just go to My Computer, and...there it is (hopefully ). You can do the same for printers, but you would choose "Install". Or you can use the Add Printer Wizard to install a network printer.

I hope this helps. Email me if you need more help/troubleshooting.

**Note: The instructions above are for Win95/98, I have never used Win Mill., but I figure everything should be in roughly the same place.**

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-two-computers.34580/
Relevancy 52.03%

Alright, here's a simple question that probably requires a really long answer. I have two computers, both of which have network cards in them. (One uses it for DSL) I would like to network them so that i may share files, play games, and use one printer between them. Could someone please tell me how and with what i would need to do this? Thank you

Saved these from a while ago when I was working on one.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/j_helmig/thisted.htm

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/j_helmig/faq.htm

http://www.timhiggins.com/ppd/sharing.htm

http://www.timhiggins.com/ppd/brwscfg.htm

http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=207

------------------
http://www.adcritic.com/content/smart-beep-first-date.html
only if you have the pipeline

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-two-computers.32951/
Relevancy 52.03%

My problem is connecting to a shared folder. I have 1 computer running XP Pro and my laptop running XP home and connected together with a crossover cable. I tried the Network wizard but got ther same result. Both computers can see each other but when I click on the shared folders I get the "Not available.....not enough server space available.." response. I can ping both computers with no problem. I just want to transfer stuff from one to the other. Right now I have them set up statically 192.168.0.1(XP Pro) and 192.168.0.2(XP Home). I have sharing set and disabled my firewalls/antivrus but keep getting the same notification. I've run the trouble shooting wizards and searched the web but no luck finding an answer. Any help on sharing would be appreciated.

A:Networking 2 XP computers

Hello and welcom to TSG.
Have you enabled network sharing on the win home pc?
On the winxp pro you have to have an account that will tell winpro that this person can be trusted. In other words make sure you have a account in the users section.
I have not used xppro or home to network with yet.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-2-xp-computers.140068/
Relevancy 52.03%

I am new to networking. We have a small network in our office. We received had to replace our a few old computer with xp. Windows 7 is our new computer. Everything seems to be working great with file sharing. Our main computer that everyone works off recently became not accessible to certain computers with XP. We switched to TrendMicro with the new computers. Our old computers used Panda, and we do not have access to the firewall. I uninstalled one of the xp computers with TrendMicro; however, that didn't work. It pops open a window stating the computer is not accessible. Please contact administrator. Everyone is networked to the same "WORKGROUP." When the main computer is shut down and restarted, everyone can use it for a short period of time. Any advice?

A:Networking new computers

jenclayton said:

I am new to networking. We have a small network in our office. We received had to replace our a few old computer with xp.
Windows 7 is our new computer. Everything seems to be working great with file sharing. Our main computer that everyone works off recently became not accessible to certain computers with XP.Click to expand...

XP needs the LTDR (responder) installed and made active; see http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=5577

We switched to TrendMicro with the new computers.
Our old computers used Panda, and we do not have access to the firewall.Click to expand...

hmm; someone *MUST* get control of the FW on all systems - - usually the admin account. While working on the symptoms reported here, DISABLE your TrendMicro, Panda, and all other such tools

I uninstalled one of the xp computers with TrendMicro; however, that didn't work. It pops open a window stating the computer is not accessible. Please contact administrator. Everyone is networked to the same "WORKGROUP." When the main computer is shut down and restarted, everyone can use it for a short period of time. Any advice?Click to expand...

All Windows 7 system need to be declared as a WORK network and enable Simple Print/File Sharing.

The XP system will need the same Simple Print/File Sharing.

ALL systems will need the firewall to enable Simple Print/File Sharing

The TCP setup is correct when every system can ping every other system using the IP address.

The File Sharing is correct when all systems can map a common drive (whichever you are using for shared documents) and map+open the Shared Folder.

Now once this works, you can take ONE XP & ONE Windows 7 system and enable your Antivirus software. If you start to see problems again, then it is in the Antivirus.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-new-computers.177025/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have 2 computers and a network hub. I have the CAT5 cables and everything is hooked up and ready to go. What's next???

Relevancy 52.03%

Hey guys

Right.... i have four computers in my house, one desktop and 3 laptops. I basically want to be able to create a network where i can link all of them together, and just have the one user account for each person rather than mutiple accounts and having to transfer files between them. I dont want to use windows built in homegroup tool as it only caters for file not accounts. how could i do this. do i need to setup a client server network to achieve this, and if so what tools and eqauipment do i need to do this?

My desktop of course would be connected via cable and the laptops would be wirless. i have the use of a NAS and also have a very high internet speed if that helps.

Any advice i would much appreciate it

Thanks
Michael

Relevancy 52.03%

I am trying to network a Dell Desktop computer:

It has 3 Com Etherlink XL 10/1000
PCI for complete management NIC
Pent 4
1.69 GH
256 RAM
Win XP Home Ed 2002

I am trying to get it to talk to:
Dell Laptop
Dell Wireless 1350 LAN
2.60 GHz
512 RAM
Win XP Home 2002
Broadcom 440x 10/100
Integrated Controller
Mini PCI card
Celeron 2.60 Hz

If anyone can help me get these two computers networked, I would appreciate it.

thanks in advance

The basics for troubleshooting are:

1. Make sure you have the same IP scheme (e.g. 192.168.0.x).

2. Make sure you have the same Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS IP addresses.

3. Make sure you can ping the other computer's IP address. If this fails, just for testing, make sure you turn off XP's as well as any other firewall.

4. Make sure you can ping the other computers by name.

5. Make sure you have the same workgroup name (watch for trailing spaces)

6. For troubleshooting purposes, turn off XP's and completely uninstall any other firewall software. You can always add more complexity after you get it working.

7. With XP, make sure you have the same username and password as the person logging onto the other computers. The default setting for XP Pro is to require a password for network access.

8. More details about how to network XP can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/xp_network.htm

9. More details about how to troubleshoot TCP/IP networks can be found at:
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networking/trouble.htm

10. Apply the registry edit to fix the browsing delay from XP to Win9x computers
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#browsing_delay.

There continues to be a lot of misinformation about needing NetBEUI or to changing the NetBIOS setting. You can ignore both. Installing NetBEUI to solve a networking problem will just mask a some underlying and potentially important misconfiguration with TCP/IP. The default NetBIOS setting usually works. If browsing is a problem, you might set it to Enabled. But do not Disable it.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-two-computers.415279/
Relevancy 52.03%

I know this is a question that probably has been asked a million and 1 times but I must ask it again.

I have two computers 1 with xp sp1, and the other windows 2000 pro, they access the internet via a wireless connection using a linksys router.

I would like to be able to share or access items on each computer at times without having to get up and go to each computer.

I have tried pinging, the win 2000 computer can ping the other, but the xp computer is not able to ping the 2000 comp.

I tried using the workgroup and on both computers it shows the other but I guess I don't know what to do from there.

Thanks,
Billiam

Relevancy 52.03%

I have 2 Win 98 2nd edition machines in the house. I am sharing a cable internet connection between them via a hub but I would also like to share the printer on the main machine with the one the kids have. Any ideas on the best way to make these machines see each other?

A:Networking 2 Win 98 computers

Try enabling file and print sharing in the network-neighborhood properties. Then go into your printer's and right click on the printer and select sharing and create the share.
Cheers,
Scully

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-2-win-98-computers.30040/
Relevancy 52.03%

Hi
I want to net work two computers one running on windows 98 and the other on XP home. Is this possible or do they both have to be running the same OS.

A:networking two computers

G'Day mrmkt,

To answer you question...YES, you can network the two computers with different operating systems...I have in fact done it in my own home using the same operating systems as you.
The way that I networked them was to wire them and create a network without an Internet Connection.
This can be done using the 'Network Setup Wizard' on the computer with Xp Home..to do this, Go into Control Panel [I use Classic View] > Network Set Up Wizard > next> next> Other; then just follow the instructions/prompts.
Just make sure that the 'workgroup' is named the same on both computers [e.g HOME or OFFICE etc.] or else the wizard will not be able to perform the networking properly.
Once you run the floppy on the other computer, reboot BOTH computers and then go into 'My Network Places' then you can view 'My Network Connections' and 'View Workgroup Computers' to see the connection icon, and the two computers.
Give it a try and post back.
Regards,
Dave T.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/networking-two-computers-105435.html
Relevancy 52.03%

my goal- to upgrade my current os win98 to win2000

my problem-
i have two computers
one is a fully operational dell inspiron pentium3 with 128ram and win2000 os

and the other is a compaq celeron700 with 88ram,win98 and NO functioning rom drives of any kind whatsoever

my proposed solution-
i would like to somehow use the cdrom drive of the dell by networking the compaq to it
the cd rom from the dell CANNOT fit into the compaq

i am using dialup internet

both have FULLY FUNCTIONAL modems installed

thanks in advance to your reading my query and giving me a solution!

ps- i am upgrading the OS in the compaq so that i can use a netgear wireless rangemax adapter on it, its software isnt compatable to win98, it wont install unless i upgrade to win2000

A:networking 2 computers together

Are you wanting to change the operating system on the celeron700 with 88ram to Windows2000? If so, that may be just a bit underpowered to give anywhere near good performance.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-2-computers-together.563930/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have a deasktop & a Laptop. I have a wireless Actiontec router with 4 ports. I know I will need another Ethernet cable to hook to the Laptop.

I have a program that necessitates opening up ports 5198, 5199, 5200 for my pgm to work. (I have done that on desktop PC.) Works with that pgm just fine.

Now what do I do to make that program work on Laptop? And not change port-forwarding on router? (Which would undo the desktop.) Shouln't the Laptop access the router ports automatically & accept those open ports?

Tnx,
Orbie

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi all.

Here is the situation.

I share an Internet connection from one XP computer to another via a wireless router and usb receiver thing. I have no problems with this, it works flawlessly.

My problem is, that the main computer can see the files on the other one, but not vice versa. I can not share printers or anything.

I wish to make it so that when I press print on one computer, it will print in the other computer as it is the one with the printer. and stuff like that.

Also, I want to make it so I can log in with either account on either computer.

Help

Thanks

Relevancy 51.6%

I have 3 computers hook up thru a linksys router 1 computer is using XP Home the other 2 are using W98. All the computers are able to see the computer icons. The XP computer can access the files on the 98 computer but the 98 computers can not access the files on the XP computer a message pops up " \\XP is not accessible No permission to access resource."

Relevancy 51.6%

Hi
Can anyone tell me please What is the Best Method of connecting two Computer Through Networking.
Thanks.

A:How I can Connect two Computers Through Networking?

cmshelper said:

Hi
Can anyone tell me please What is the Best Method of connecting two Computer Through Networking.
Thanks.Click to expand...

make sure both are in the same workgroup...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/how-i-can-connect-two-computers-through-networking.851209/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have XP on my desktop and Vista on my Laptop and was trying to set up a home network. I ran the wizard on my XP computer and restarted. I am still unable to see the networks together on the computers Was curious if there was a compatibility issue between XP and vista that i would need to go around thanks.

A:Networking Vista and XP computers together

Do you have DSL or Cable Modem?
Do you have Router?
Do you have a switch or hub?
Do you have crossover cables?

How do you have your network setup?
Are you using wireless laptop?
Are you using wired or wireless desktop?

If you try to connect to devices together without router or switch you need a crossover cable to connect the two. Just not plain patch panel cables.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-vista-and-xp-computers-together.90465/
Relevancy 51.6%

I was previously using a Motorola 4100 modem and Linksys Wireless-G Broadband router, linking a Dell XP desktop to an HP XP desktop with a Lynksys Wireless - G USB adapter, and a Toshiba laptop that has an Atheros AR5007EG wireless adapter. The laptop always connected to the internet, the HP connected but often lost the connection. I replaced the modem with a Motorola SB5101. No problem with the laptop. The HP would not connect. So, I replaced the router with a Netgear Wireless N300 router. Now....the HB is connected, but the laptop connects to "local only" and "limited connection" not the internet. I have tried everything I can think of, nothing. Please help.

A:networking three computers, 1 always has problems

post back the following for the faulty machine
{ipconfig /all}
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results here
-> Start
-> (XP - enter the following in the RUN box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all
-> (Vista or Windows 7 - enter the following in the Search box)
cmd /k ipconfig /all

A black box will appear on the screen -
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
control key + C key - to copy

then reply here and
control key + V to paste
------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here
{Ping Tests}

Start> Run {search bar in Vista}> CMD to open a DOS window and type:

Type the following command
Ping google.com
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping {plus the number thats shown against the default gateway shown in above ipconfig /all}
Post back the results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

Ping 209.191.93.53
post back results
rightclick in the box
select all
enter
then reply here and
control key + V to paste

{Device Manager}
Post back the results in device manager
Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
windows 7
start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices listed there
are there any ! ? or X
post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here
Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.com/library/wifitools.php
Then run the program
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Wireless Profiles
http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/networking-tutorials-f17/removing-an-existing-wireless-profile-t109.htm
- Vista:
http://www.tp-link.com/support/showfaq.asp?id=214
- delete the wireless profiles
Start
control Panel
classic view
network and sharing center
manage wireless networks

Delete the profiles
you will then have to enter the wireless security key for any networks you connect to
--

Wireless Profiles
http://mgmcc.forumotion.net/n... Read more

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-three-computers-1-always-has-problems.916554/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have two systems with Wireless Network Card in them, i am using dialup internet on one of them and i want to share the internet on the other PC, is it possible ??? both PC's are in two different rooms not very far away from each other.
Regards,

Farhan

A:Wireless Networking between two computers

You need to setup an ad-hoc network ojn the wireless and then setup ICS. Trust me this is going to get messy as ICS usually does get that way.

Here is an okay article if your using XP - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_02april08.mspx

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/wireless-networking-between-two-computers.502714/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi I have 2 older pentium I's and One pentium II I was wondering is there a way to network them so that I can have all three running at the same time and basically have all the power Ie cpu, storgae and ram combined so that they can all share proccesses and prettty much run as a single machine just wondering because it would then enable me to have a half decent computer.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-2-or-more-computers-questions.376615/
Relevancy 51.6%

We have one phone line and two computers now. The parents computer is running 98 and mine is running XP. All of us like to be on the net and if one computer is online, the other can't be. I was told if I was to network them we could be on at the same time.

My main question is how do I do this??? I know mine has an Ethernet card (don't know if that means much) and the parents needs a network card. Is it as simple as getting a card for them (and me if I do need it) plugging them in together and getting online?

Many thanks!!!!

A:Networking two computers at home.

This site will lead you through everything. I started you out on the internet sharing but you have to go to the networking section also: http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-two-computers-at-home.63687/
Relevancy 51.6%

I know that if I want to network two computers, I need a broadband router(I'm hoping to get wireless) and a wireless PC card (do I)?

I have a main computer that I use with W2K NT Professional and one with Windows 98. I want to transfer several large files on that Windows 98 machine to the W2K one. Would two different operating system matters? Additionally, if one wireless router is needed, do I still need to buy two wireless PC Card for both of my computers?

A:Networking two computers for newbie

If you only want to transfer files from W98 to W2K, you could work that with a W98 special serial cable (cheap but very slow) or a parallel cable (still cheap and a little bit faster).

The same -but faster again- can be achieved with the program LapLink (that comes with a transfer cable).

If you want to do a handyman-special, take the HD from the W98 PC and stick it temporarily in the W2K PC, to transfer your data (is by far the cheapest). Make sure to set the master/slave jumpers correctly and reset them before you put the W98-disk back in.

If you want networking, then if you go the wireless way, you will need a router with a built-in or a separate wireless access-point, and a wireless PCI-card for each PC. If you live in a densely populated area, go for the more expensive but less congested 802.11a (5GHz) standard, otherwise for 802.11b/g (2.4GHz).

It is cheaper and faster to go the WIRED way. You only need 2 10/100 Fast ethernet PCI-cards and a cross-over cable, which will cost no more than about $40.-/£20.-.

Tell us if you want anything more from that network (like internet/broadband)

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-two-computers-for-newbie.10503/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have two computers a new one with XP Pro SP and an old one with XP Home no SP When I got the new computer I networked them together through a DSL modem two problems computers Networking with router gateway and everything worked Now the new computer can see the old one but the old one does not see the new one The Workgroup and computer names are correct When I Networking problems with two computers quot ipconfig quot the new computer I get IP address subnet mask and default gateway The quot ipconfig quot for the old computer is IP address and the other two are the same as with the new computer Also I can successfully ping both ways but when I open My Network Places on the old computer the new computer is not seen The new computer is listed as unknown But why can I successfully ping the new computer FYI both computers have the latest free ZoneAlarm firewall However the problem remains even when the firewalls are turned off Also I always keep the Windows firewalls turned off Thanks for the help halensa nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,
I am trying to network 2 computers that are 15 minutes apart. my daughter and I would like to share photoshop elements 10 which I just purchased and put on my desktop. She has a toshiba laptop. Can we do this without alot of aggrevation? I am not technical when it comes to computers.

A:help networking 2 computers 15 minutes from each other

If you have an internet connection, the easiest way off the top of my head is using Hamachi. It's a Virtual Private Network tool.
I'm unsure if its still free, but I used to use it to share files with my friend that lived in another city, using the Hamachi VPN service.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/help-networking-2-computers-15-minutes-from-each-other-651579.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have recently had a Time Warner Roadrunner Cable Modem installed. I have 2 computers at home and would like to network them so both can use Roadrunner Cable. The computer where the cable is installed has Windows ME as the operating system. The other computer has Windows 98 as the operating system. Both computers have network cards. The cable modem is connected to the network card. I have Belkin RJ45 Male/Male Category 5e Snagless Patch Cable (A3L791-25-S) and a Netgear ethernet hub (model EN 104 TP). I don't understand how to proceed any further. Can anyone help? Do I have the correct equipment?

Thanks for your assistance.

A:Networking 2 Home Computers

hi mgentry, i'm in the same stage as you and waiting for the answer to network them too. since you have cable speed, you should get a router. that way, you can get both pcs to go online and you can have them networked too. W/ a hub you can only networked them. so, in the meantime you can go get a router.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-2-home-computers.47879/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi

Can anyone tell me please how to connect my computer through networking.

Thanks.

Relevancy 51.6%

Hi there...

I am wondering...I have two computers set up to the same wireless internet connection. I have one running windows 2000 which is my laptop and my desktop is running Windows XP Home. What I want to know is there a way to use the same printer with both computers without them both being physically hooked up to it. I am sure you can just not sure exactly how.....Please help any info is appreciated.....

Relevancy 51.6%

I have a situation where somebody wants to have a LAN between two computers, and she is on dial up. She took the liberty of going and buying a router (not sure which one) and tried to set it up. What I am thinking, is that the router is not necessary, and that all that is needed is a ethernet cable between the two, possibly a crossover.

I don't think she needs to enable Internet Connection Sharing, although I think that it would be a plus if I could do it for her. Mainly I think she just wants to be able to transfer files between the computers. One machine is an XP, while the other is, I believe a 98. Thanks for the help.

Steve

Relevancy 51.6%

I have two computers I would like both to share my DSL line but they are very far apart (one's in the basement, the other is on the second floor). Is there an easy way to just plug both computers into the phone line/ethernet/DSL adapter and log them into the ISP individually?

I know I could do it wirelessly, or running a router and a very long ethernet cable but I'm just wondering if this would work? Though I suspect not.

Thanks,
JTN

Relevancy 51.6%

I am attempting to network a Vista computer and a XP Home computer using Cat cable Neither of the computers are connected to the internet and I only want them to connect to one another The Vista computer has the ip set to and the XP computer is set to The default gateway address and subnet mask are the Vista XP and computers Networking same for both computers and they are part of the same workgroup I have installed the patch for XP to enable LLTD Now the Vista computer can see the XP computer in as part of the network and I can successfully Networking Vista and XP computers ping from the Vista computer and get a response However the XP computer cannot ping the ping always times out If I try to set the ip address of the XP computer to the same one as the Vista computer it will not allow it saying that the ip is already in use on the network so the XP computer is aware of the network somehow Both computers have firewalls Networking Vista and XP computers disabled I'd appreciate any thoughts on what the problem is and how I can fix it

http://www.vistax64.com/network-sharing/261297-networking-vista-xp-computers.html
Relevancy 51.6%

Homegroup or Sharing?

Which should I do. Its my home office computers. I'd like to be able to access files between both machines. Doing this, what precautions should I make that noone can get into my system? I'm a little hesitant to share ALL files on both computers between each other. But i'd like to!

I'm playing with Sharing now but i'm noticing that sometimes when I save a file on one computer it isn' accessible to the other computer until I right click and SHare it. I thought by sharing the folder it would just share every new file. Is there a way to do that?

thanks..

A:Networking Two computers..question/s

Quote: Originally Posted by dragotron

Homegroup or Sharing?

Which should I do. Its my home office computers. I'd like to be able to access files between both machines. Doing this, what precautions should I make that noone can get into my system? I'm a little hesitant to share ALL files on both computers between each other. But i'd like to!

I'm playing with Sharing now but i'm noticing that sometimes when I save a file on one computer it isn' accessible to the other computer until I right click and SHare it. I thought by sharing the folder it would just share every new file. Is there a way to do that?

thanks..

Hi and welcome
Homegroup sharing. In homegroup you share lib's (media, docs, etc) In sharing you share contents. If there are only 2 computers on the network and it is wired, you secure is preety good.

Precautions:

Anti Virus --good one updated automatically ( iuse eset smart security which also has a built in fire wall)
If wifi you can increase security by making your router 'mac address accessable only' that will mean the only machines that can log onto your router must have the address of the network card in your machine.

Those two on wifi should be enough. Always remember the final precaution is not to click on something you don tknow.

Ken J++

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/40571-networking-two-computers-question-s.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a network of three windows XP pro service pack 3 computers working under a workgroup name MSHOME. Two of them are hard wired to the network and one is wireless. I recently purchased a new Asus laptop running Windows 7 pro 64 bit version. I am trying to share file with the other computers on the network with the workgroup MSHOME. I get the internet ok on the new laptop but I do not know how to get it to share files with the other computers. I donít see a way to name a workgroup. There is something called homegroups but I donít know what they are. Can anyone help to understand how to do what I want to do above? Thanks.

A:networking xp and window 7 computers

Go to "Control Panel\System and Security\System"
Click on "Change Settings" mid page on right side.
Computer name tab
Click on Change
There you can rename your WorkGroup name

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-xp-and-window-7-computers.930461/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi,

My brother and I have been trying to network our 2 computers together. His being the master, mine being the slave. We have gone through and created it etc but it now says cable unplugged. We have tried reversing it by making mine master, still didnt work.

We used a friends laptop and the network works successfully both ways between his and my brothers, and his and mine. However when we put my brothers and my computer back in it says cable unplugged?

Anyone have any ideas?

Relevancy 51.6%

I am having trouble getting my laptop vista computer to open my desktop computer xp on the network My desktop will not log onto the network or open the workgroup It says that it doesn t have the required access and to contact my administrator My laptop does see the desktop but it cannot open it Says the same thing no access I have run both wizards multiple times I have disabled all firewalls vista xp computers and my networking I am able to ping by the ip address but when I ping by the name neither one recognizes the name I have tried to install the update from ms for the xp machine but networking my xp and vista computers it says that the update is older than the update already installed I have read some of the other threads on here The vista is the only machine that is the master browser I appreciate your help I am at the end of my understanding or ability to figure this out Once again thank you for your help nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

I have three desktops running windows xp, 1 laptop running windows vista, networked together. I have 1 printer networked to all four computers.

My problem: Unless my main computer is turned on the other three computers cannot print. Is there any way to network my printer so that I can print without it being on? I hate having it on wasting juice when I'm on my laptop or the other desktops.
Thank You,
GaWebSpinner

A:Networking printer and computers

Welcome to TSG.
If your printer is hardwaired to your "main "computer,that is the print server and,I believe, must be on for other pc's on the net to share it.

I believe that there are print servers ,and of course,wireless printers acting as their own print server,which would accomplish what you would like to have.
Just a matter of how much space you have and of,course,what you are willing to spend to get to your goal.
I'm sure others will pop on here with other ideas.

That's one of the things that is great with TSG.Many experiences and great ideas.

Also FYI,here is a link to some print servers.

http://www.newegg.com/Store/SubCategory.aspx?SubCategory=387&name=Network-Print-Servers

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-printer-and-computers.822860/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hello I am new to networking of computers I already have the wireless set up on main 2 computers networking Qwest/msn computer I want to setup second computer wireless to use my connection to get on the internet both computers are located in the same room And be able to share Qwest/msn networking 2 computers printers on both computers The second had been setup at another location at one time Daughters house with her Qwest DSL Modem Wireless Gateway Model GT -WG I installed a new Trendnet TEW- -PI wireless pci adapter with drivers so that I could network the two pc s to use one internet connection here at my home Have not done anything with any of Qwest programs that were already on this pc Do I need to uninstall anything from the nd computer How do I go about networking these How to turn off firewalls How to find my IP addresses and all information necessary to get these going I know that prior trying to get help from Qwest they pass me to MSN then MSN passes me back to Qwest Laugh Qwest lists Tech Support Guy as a link for getting help with networking Please help main computer Qwest DSL Modem with Wireless Gateway Model GT -WG Qwest msn premium Microsoft Windows XP Pro second computer Microsoft Windows XP Home Trendnet TEW- -PI wireless pci adapter nbsp

A:Qwest/msn networking 2 computers

If you have an Internet connection on both of the machines, you're 90% of the way there. No additional software/hardware required.

This TCP/IP Home Networking and File Sharing Tutorial should get you started.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/qwest-msn-networking-2-computers.656806/
Relevancy 51.6%

Alright I m so confused as to why things aren t working with my network I just can t figure it out Right now I have all of my computers hooked up to my network D-Link WBR- along with my roomates laptop So to start I have Desktops and a works. Networking Computers, 4 but - one all Laptop The desktops have huge ammounts of storage and I share files between them and I m trying to set it up so my roomate can see them too but for whatever reason she can t Networking - 4 Computers, all but one works. My main desktop is running Vista Ultimate we ll call it Desk and the other one is running XP Pro Desk Desk can see the hard drives that are shared on Desk can access the files and it all works fine Desk can see the shared drive on Desk aswell all works fine My laptop Lap is also running Vista Ultimate it can view access etc the shared drives on both Desk and Desk Both desktops can see the laptop in the network though it has no shared drives Here is where we get problems My roomate s laptop Lap is running Vista Home Premium she can see Desk and Lap on the network drives but she s unable to access Desk I ve done everything I can think of She s on the same workgroup as the others quot Eggnogstick quot I ve set all the network settings the same as Lap and yet she can t access the files on Desk It doesn t even show up in the network list If I make the system show a full network view then she can see that Desk is part of the network but she is unable to click on it I ve set the shared drives to allow access to quot EVERYONE quot for now but she still can t see it I even installed the patch for the LLTD patch for the XP machine but that didn t help The only difference between her computer and all of mine is that all of mine have the same username of quot Mat quot and a password while hers will of course be different So I ve run out of idea If anyone can help I d greatly appreciate it as I don t really want to pull the one drive out of that machine and put it into the vista machine to make it work Also if it helps both the desktops are connecting to the router with wires and the laptops are both Wireless None of my computers have antivirus or a firewall however she has Norton IS running Am I overlooking something simple nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

I Problem networking two computers am networking two computers together at my parents' house but it is not working I have a laptop WinXP Pro and their desktop WinXP Home I shared the hard drives on both computers and used the quot NET USE H COMPUTERNAME DRIVENAME quot on both of them When I use that command on the desktop it is able to map the drive from my laptop However when I'm on my laptop and trying to map the drive from the desktop it gives me the error quot System error has occurred Login failure the user has not been granted the requsted logon type at this computer quot I have messed with as much Problem networking two computers stuff as possible on the desktop to make sure I was enabling the file sharing but it would still not let the laptop map it What am I doing wrong I know that in the Windows Firewall settings it says quot Some settings are being controlled by Group Policy quot Any help would be appreciated Thanks

A:Problem networking two computers

Checklist for networking Windows Machines with TCP/IP
-----------------------------------------------------
- PCs which are not XP must have TCP/IP installed.
- Each PC must have a unique computer name.
- Each PC must have a network share defined.
- ALL NICS must be on the same subnet (e.g. IP 192.168.0.* subnet mask 255.255.255.0).
- XP PCs must have Netbios over TCP/IP enabled (only essential for XP to talk to W9X PCs).
- MS Client and file & printer sharing must be enabled on each machine.
- All NICs must have their node type = anything except p-node (peer to peer, or point-point).
* To check, open a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL.
- XP's ICF firewall is permanently disabled. (Only necessary for pre XP SP2).
- All 3rd party firewalls are disabled, uninstalled and deleted (until connection is working).
- PCs have the same workgroup (helps, but not essential for XP/2K, necessary for 9X/ME).

Allow 15 mins after rebooting a PC for that PC to appear in the workgroup, or
for it to see all other PCs. Or you can search for the PC by its computer name.

Additional things to check if you still have problems:
-----------------------------------------------------
- Check your Services are Started on all PCs: Workstation, Server, TCP/IP Netbios helper, Computer Browser.
- XP gives access to its shares via the Net Guest Account. (Note, not the same as the local guest account in user accounts which should be off). Net Guest Account is enabled by default in XP, but to check it, open a command prompt and type: NET USER GUEST
Should return a line with 'Account active yes'.

Check XP Security policies:
--------------------------
- Access this computer from the network: add guest
- Deny logon locally: remove guest
- Network access:Sharing and security model... -> Guest only
- Deny access to this computer from the network-> check Guest is not here.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f31/problem-networking-two-computers-97169.html
Relevancy 51.6%

i have exactly the same problem between 2 printers, 2 Pc's (1 XP and 1 vista), and a vista laptop. i cant figure out how to find each other either

Relevancy 51.6%

hey recently i have tried to connect a Win XP - Pro and a Win XP - Home together ona Networking + Home XP Computers Pro Together work group the main aim is to be able to share files and hard drives between the two computers i have been able to create a workgroup and the two computers can quot see quot each other but a problem occors when i try to access the other computer an error message pops up saying quot computer name is not accessible You might not have permission to use this network resourse Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions the network parth was not found quot the both computers connect to a LAN hub that has a firewall installed but its seems to me that its not a firewall problem because quot iTunes quot works between the two computers and we are Networking XP Pro + Home Computers Together able to share music files if anybody has any information to offer on Networking XP Pro + Home Computers Together this subject than that would be great thankyou nbsp

A:Networking XP Pro + Home Computers Together

See the attachment on realblackstuff's post here.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-xp-pro-home-computers-together.27854/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hey I have a basic problem and I bet you guys can help me I am new to networking etc and I need an explanation on how to do something Okay I have a Cable Modem - gt Windows XP Home Edition - gt Windows SE What I am trying to establish is for the Windows Machine be able to access the internet through my Windows XP machine Don t tell me 2 Networking internet Computers with to buy a router cause I want to be a able to do it this way first I d just like a link to a great article or a step by step explanation on how Networking 2 Computers with internet to do this because I ve tried almost everything and modifying the TCP IP Protocol in the Network Connections setting - Thanks PS Yes I am using a crossover cable and the Windows XP Machine has ethernet ports One on a PCI Card To internet and one integrated on the motherboard To Windows SE machine nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

It’s driving me crazy. I have a network of 50 computers (Internet Cafe). I get random disconnections all the time. It’s as though 50 computers cannot connect all at once. Sometimes it’s just the printer, sometimes the Internet Cafe Software, sometimes just a couple, sometimes many more, but it seems constant.

It has been suggested network overload and if so how could I solve this?

(I should add that I'm running XP Pro on all computers, the fireware is turned off as a service, they are frozen with deepfreeze)

A:Problems networking 50 computers

What are you connecting them to? What provides the Internet feed? Exact make/model of the modem, router, switches, and the ISP involved.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problems-networking-50-computers.925855/
Relevancy 51.6%

I did a search on this on the board, and the dates were pretty old for info. So, can anyone walk me through networking two computers, one PC with Vista, and a new laptop with 7? I'm pretty saavy, but not a good as most of you so I sort of need a more layman's language. Also, my Western Digital external drive is recognized in the PC, but the new laptop won't recognize. Do I need to install drivers in the laptop? Ports work with the thumb drive and dongle.

A:Networking 2 wireless computers

Basically follow the new wireless router instructions.
Insert CD
Then go from there.
Every manufacturer going to have different setups
The CD will tell you what to do in setting up the router.
Then you'll need to let those two computers connect to the router either wired or wirelesss
Wireless one would need to know SSID name of your wireless connection and the passcode password. Or you might be better off using WPS to make it easier for you. Just follow your CD.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-2-wireless-computers.146496/
Relevancy 51.6%

I'm trying to set up a home network that involves three computers, all on the same wireless router. The main computer is running Vista, but the other two are XP. I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to share a folder/file between computers. I followed all the Windows support info, including making the network private, turning on file sharing, making sure the LLTD is installed, etc. I thought that maybe the Norton Antivirus was holding me back, so I ensured that each computer was listed as a Trusted exception. This is driving me crazy. Any ideas??

Relevancy 51.6%

Sorry to bother but it's beyond my experience After replacing a failing hard drive The computers networking is not working It can see my internet connection but will not connect past the router quot Not connected No internet connections are available quot So I removed Avast totally I reset not computers working networking is the computers networking is not working adapter Probed with various utilities which say can't start DHCP but see's my router pulls an IP address It figured out the I'm on tampabay rr com etc So I ran sfc scannow and got the usual error about can't complete and see log file Log file says among computers networking is not working other things - - Info CBS Scavenge Starts - - Info CSI CSI Transaction x a initialized for deployment engine d d c- d - d - d- c b with flags and client id quot TI quot - - Info CBS Scavenge Begin CSI Store - - Info CSI computers networking is not working Performing operations are not lock unlock and follow Scavenge flags - - Info CSI Creating NT transaction seq objectname quot null quot - - Info CSI Created NT transaction seq result x handle xa - - Info CSI CSI perf trace CSIPERF TXCOMMIT - - Info CSI Couldn't mark for pending delete ml l quot SystemRoot WinSxS Temp PendingDeletes quot l quot DeleteMe sortkey nlp cf ce a b quot Reason quot Cannot Delete quot - - Info CSI Couldn't mark for pending delete ml l quot SystemRoot WinSxS Temp PendingDeletes quot l quot DeleteMe sorttbls nlp cf ce d d a quot Reason quot Cannot Delete quot - - Info CSI ICSITransaction Commit calling IStorePendingTransaction Apply - coldpatching FALSE applyflags - - Info CSI Creating NT transaction seq objectname quot null quot - - Info CSI Created NT transaction seq result x handle xa - - Info CSI a CSI perf trace CSIPERF TXCOMMIT - - Info CBS Scavenge Completed disposition X - - Info CSI b CSI Transaction x a destroyed I've tried to isolate the error I don't know what to do to fix it though The complete log file attached Thanks for any help

A:computers networking is not working

Have you tried something as simple as opening a command prompt as a administrator; and doing a ipconfig /release; then a ipconfig /renew? Try doing that and see what happens. If it doesnt do anything; or if you have tried that already; post back and we can go from there.

On another note; one thing you can try; try power cycling both the modem and router and see what happens: unplug the power cords from both the router and modem and wait about a minute or so for them to reset; then plug the modem back in first and let that fully boot; then plug the router back in and let that fully boot and see what happens.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/338478-computers-networking-not-working.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have several editing computers that I want to put on a network.
There's gonna be a server that can read and write on all the other systems and others will be given their respective permissions.
Now, I already got a quotation and this guy proposed some Cat6 cable he's gonna use. I don't have any idea. But what I want is:
1. The Server will be able to see what the other systems are doing reel-time (audio/video). See the desktop... Total access.
What kinda network would you recommend? I want the best.

A:Networking on Editing Computers

Net networking hardware (cabling, network cards, routers/switches, etc...) don't have any effect on what you can do on the network. CAT6 is a good type of cable to use for a small network.

If you are looking to monitor the workstations from the server, you would need something like SMS (called SCCM now), or possibly something like "LogMeIn", which is a remote desktop viewing utility.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-on-editing-computers.1067760/
Relevancy 51.6%

I have an ASDL router and 2 XP home computers and a new Win 98 networked. All ethernet. One of the XP works OK. The other one now will not connect to the internet, I started a Win 98 machine with a NIC but it will not connect to the internet. The win 98 machine was changed from an old win 98 to a different machine with the NIC card changed over.
The XP which works OK can be plugged into any port on the router and works OK. The other XP will not work in any port and neither will the Win 98 machine. Unplugging the win 98 machine off the router does not make the other XP machine work. All has been set up correctly according to the Wizards and TCP/Ip is correct. Help is really needed!

Relevancy 51.6%

Hi all just got a new laptop the other week and i am now wanting to get it to talk to my back room desktop so as to share files etc Both machines are running vista My laptop is wireless enabled and ready to go and i can surf the internet on it wirelessly no problem My desktop pc in the back room is wired to a wireless broadband hub using a cat cable Networking computers vista 2 and again i can surf the internet on it no problem I m a complete newbie to this wireless networking so if anyone could give me a step by step guide i would be over the moon I also have a printer in the back room that i want to be included in the network i guess i would have to use the back room desktop as a printer server so to speak Anyway i hope this makes sense and someone can point me in the right direction Many thanks nbsp

A:Networking 2 vista computers

File and Printer Sharing in Windows Vista

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-2-vista-computers.611211/
Relevancy 51.6%

I am having problems with Networking Windows computers The first computer is an HP Laptop with windows factory installed It connects to my router via a wireless connection The second is a Dell Desktop with SSD's -- one containing Win and the other Win I choose in BIOS which I want to Two Problem Computers Networking use Only one of them is connected at a time Their names are Windows or Windows depending on Problem Networking Two Computers which SSD is connected When the desktop is running Win the laptop's Network window shows the desktop but when I try to open it I get a message Problem Networking Two Computers from Window Security telling me to enter my credentials to connect to Window and the name jsquareg I assume jsquareg refers to the Ethernet network on on the Desktop I've no idea what the password is or why it asks to connect to it Also on the desktop the network window does not show the laptop But when I run the desktop under Windows Everything works just fine Each machine can communicate with the other I have read all I can find about networking Windows but have not been able to find an answer to this problem Can someone help me Thank you very much

A:Problem Networking Two Computers

Try this and see if it works. How can I share any files on my network ?
Also, try this, run command prompt in admin mode,
sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled

http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharing/37056-problem-networking-two-computers.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I can ping the computers but I cant see them.

A:Networking does not see computers but can ping them

You can try turn on Network discovery

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/298401-networking-does-not-see-computers-but-can-ping-them.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I'm trying to network 2 computers without hub/router just straight through with the cable, never had a problem on xp 32 bit but ever since I switched to XP 64 one computer sets up fine and shows up in the entire network (my network places) but from the other computer, nothing shows up, I have done the setup numerous times and nothing shows up.
On the buggy computer, there are 2 NIC ports, I have run the update driver, still no results. Probably should mention that when I run the setup network wizard, I have to click on Ignore disconnected network hardware in order to continue which didn't do that on the working computer.
I have basically followed the steps on this link plenty of times and it fails to function properly, never had a problem on xp 32 bit.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/setup/homenet.mspx

Any help would be great.

A:networking 2 computers xp 64 sp2 issues

I have fixed the problem,
I checked the services in Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services and found some of the services indispensable for networking were switched off.
So switched them on and it all works well.

hope this will help someone else.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/networking-2-computers-xp-64-sp2-issues-435520.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have 3 computers at home as follows:
PC with Vista 64 connected via cable to the router
Laptop Windows 7 wireless
Laptop Windows 8.1 wireless.

I had a network that worked fine but after doing a refresh to one of the laptops and a recovery to the PC, the network does not work anymore. I made sure that each computer has its name and all the 3 have the same network password. There is no windows password on any of computers. I tried everything I know to no avail. I can see the other computers on the screen but cannot connect. When I try to connect I am asked for my credentials but the logon is unsuccessful.

Could someone guide me to solve this problem? Thanks.

Relevancy 51.6%

I have recently purchased a HP dv - nr laptop that runs Networking & 2 A Printer Computers on Windows Vista I also have a desktop computer that is Windows Xp The desktop computer is connected to a cable modem through a wireless router a Linksys WRT G Though the desktop is connected to the router via wire The desktop computer is directly wired to a HP Deskjet printer My question is basically can I use the router for two functions internet and printer sharing at the same time With the laptop can I share the printer connected directly to the desktop computer with the laptop Networking 2 Computers & A Printer through the router and still the router as internet access for both the desktop and the laptop So basically can I share a printer connected directly to the desktop with the laptop through the linksys router even if the desktop is off and still utilize the router as internet access for both the desktop wired and the laptop wireless Here is a really simple schematic of what I want to do http img imageshack us img networkschematicov png nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

Computer A and B were networked together and sharing files in both directions. After installing Norton 2008 Internet Security on computer A computer B cannot see any files in the Shared Documents folder that is in computer A. I have verified that Sharing is checked in the Shared Documents Sharing tab. When you click in computer B on previously shared networked files that are on computer A I receive an error stating that I don't have permission to view that folder.

Btw - The Norton install removed many programs. Urgh!

Any suggestions on how I can network the two computers again would be appreciated.

Cheers!

A:Trouble networking two computers

There are firewall settings in Norton that you will have to change in order to be able to do that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/trouble-networking-two-computers.642401/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hey~ I have 2 computers connected through a router, both share internet. Was wondering if i could set it up to play games like Diablo2 multi player? and if so, could someone tell me how, the router i use is a "Linksys, wireless-g broadband router"

Thanks!one!!!

A:networking computers (For games)

Diabolo2 was right before I networked my home systems. If I remember correctly it does let you play in a multiplayer "LAN" setup. So check the manual. If the answer is yes, you should be all set to go.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/networking-computers-for-games.381946/
Relevancy 51.6%

Hi guys i got a network prob my daughter gave me her computer etc she got a laptop I tried to connect Solved: two computers Networking her PC to mine so my son can play his World of Warcraft game and stop him hogging my PC I ran the home network wizard named each computer gave them the same network group name and all that stuff I have a modem router and switch hub all connected correctly I ve configured some folders to sharing on both PC s and they Solved: Networking two computers are both sharing my internet connection the problem is my PC s are not recognising each other if i click on view workgroup computers only PC icon comes up on PC if Solved: Networking two computers i view workgroup computers on PC i get a message you may not have permission to use this resource contact admin i ve tried to find a solution on google but all solutions i find are very technical and i am not very computer literate can anyone give a simple answer to this dummy nbsp

Relevancy 51.6%

My Vista computer reads the XP computer but the XP does not read the Vista.
So I can share files only one way...How do I fix that??
Thanks

Relevancy 51.6%

Ok people, this is new territory for this 'ol fart...! I have a Windows 7 Home Pro system in the upstairs 'puter room, its an Asus P7D55P, intel i5 2.67, 4gb ram, 5770 vid card, Antec 900 case, 650 watt PS It's all connected to the net via a wired D-Link Dl 604 router.

The downstairs unit is my old XP system MSI MoBo, 2Gb ram, AMD proces, can't remember the type. It is also plugged into the router via Cat 5 RG 54 cable.

I checked the system settings and my home network but nothing shows me the downstairs system.

Is there a particular process, settings, etc., that I have to do/set to get these 2 systems to talk to each other......!

My main goal is to be able to send a file to the upstairs printer/plotter, while I'm working on a project(wood, plastic model, etc.), from the old XP system.

Any help would GREATLY be appreciated.

Regards,
unclepine

A:Networking 2 home computers

XP cannot join a Homegroup. Select a regular workgroup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/211199-networking-2-home-computers.html
Relevancy 50.74%

hi guys, im back again. This time it isn't with my computer (thank god) my friend is trying to hook up 2 computer via cat5 crossover cable to send music back and forth from a desktop (w/internet) to a laptop (no internet) and visa versa. we have tried the windows wizard that is supposed to set it up but it never seems to do so. the desktop has xp media and the laptop xp pro in it. i believe they both have sp2 but im not positive. Anyone have any ideas? i will be at his house later today so i will be able to know more about the computers when im there.
i have simple file sharing on the folders of both computers
Till then

any help would be great

Relevancy 50.74%

ok here's a question.

I have a llinksys router with two computers connected to it. I want to pull files off one computer onto another using a network. - how do i do it?

Or should I just get a crossover- if that's the case, how do I do it?

A:networking two computers with crossover or router

what os are you using
xp has a wizard setup tool
static config the nic cards
do a google or go to linksys site for how to's
right click on the files or folder you want to share enable sharing
both pc's must be on same workgroup
find system folder network ID

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-two-computers-with-crossover-or-router.24756/
Relevancy 50.74%

Hi

I have 2 laptops in the house hold that are connected Wirelessly to the internet.

My computer, the king, is a desktop. This has a wired internet connection.

To save me the task of manually going to the laptop in the other room to download a file to it or perform a system scan, couldn't i do it remotely from my computer? Like take control of the laptop and what is on the laptop's monitor is on my monitor and have full control of it?

I believe its called remote assistance? Or is there better software out there?

Thanks
Dan

A:Networking with 3 computers-I want to use MY computer to run maintain

Teamviewer is what i would recommend - it's free for personal use.

I would suggest you run the teamviewer host on the systems you wish to control (you can run the full version if you ever want to access the desktop from a laptop Even remotely over the internet), ande set it to start with windows. there is a full manual available on the site

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/124389-networking-3-computers-i-want-use-my-computer-run-maintain.html
Relevancy 50.74%

Mshome networking not working on all computers computers. on working networking not all Mshome Four computers Mshome networking not working on all computers. running XP Home service pack Internet access through Linksys router All computers have internet access no problems MSHOME works only on computer and Computer - Desktop wired directly Mshome networking not working on all computers. to Linksys route Can see computer no problem Can see computer but get message that it is not accessible You might not have permission to use the network resource The network path was not found Can not see computer If I go to Network Connections is shows Internet Connection and Local Area Connection Computer - Laptop with wireless connection to Linksys router Can see computer no problem Can not see computer or If I go to Network Connections it shows Internet Connections Wireless Network Connection and Local Area Connection Computer - Laptop with wirelss connection to Linksys router Can t see anything If you click on MSHOME you get the message that it is not accessible You might not have permission to use the network resource The network path was not found If I go to Network Connections it shows Wireless Network Connection and Local Area Connection but not Internet Connection Computer - Desktop with wireless connection to Linksys router Can t see computers and If you click on MSHOME you get everything for computer If I go to Network Connections it shows Wireless Network Connection and Local Area Connection but not Internet Connection Please help Thank you nbsp

A:Mshome networking not working on all computers.

Looks like a classic firewall issue where a third party firewall is blocking access. Norton or Mcafee???

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/mshome-networking-not-working-on-all-computers.613924/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have a brand new Alienware desktop with Win home Hooked to it is a netgear router Upstairs I have a -yr old Dell Studio running Win Pro I have designated shared folders on each computer When I open the Network library on each computer both machines show up I can look into the Studio and grab files from shared folders but not the other way around I get an error message saying I need administrator permission Both machines show the same password for the network but I have disabled password required network sharing This has to be simple I need to be able to swap files back and forth between them and could do so freely and simply when I had an older XP machine downstairs I am the owner of both machines and the only one using them I have no trouble getting on the internet from the Studio upstairs Help would be much appreciated I see some similar threads have come up below I will look a these

A:networking and sharing between two computers issue

Quote: Originally Posted by Ridgerunner

I have a brand new Alienware desktop with Win7 home. Hooked to it is a netgear router. Upstairs I have a 2-yr old Dell Studio 15 running Win7 Pro. I have designated shared folders on each computer. When I open the Network library? on each computer both machines show up. I can look into the Studio and grab files from shared folders but not the other way around; I get an error message saying I need administrator permission. Both machines show the same password for the network but I have disabled password required network sharing. This has to be simple. I need to be able to swap files back and forth between them and could do so freely and simply when I had an older XP machine downstairs. I am the owner of both machines and the only one using them. I have no trouble getting on the internet from the Studio upstairs.

Help would be much appreciated. I see some similar threads have come up below. I will look a these...

You didn't mention if you set up a Homegroup between those two Windows 7 machines or not?

Setting up a Homegroup would ease up the file restrictions although you still need to ensure that the C:>Users folder is shared out with Everyone through the Sharing tab.

Homegroup - Create

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/282759-networking-sharing-between-two-computers-issue.html
Relevancy 50.74%

I have 2 computers sharing a Netgear 4 port wired router using the internet very successfuly. I did have them networked to each other as well, but I got a new computer and of course lost the settings. As I didn't set it up, I cannot for the life of me work out how to do it. I know it was not very hard to do.I am using XP PRO. Of course I have LAN connections.

Relevancy 50.74%

I ve been having this Solved: (2 Issues Networking Computers) headache for awhile now I have an IBM Thinkpad Laptop and a Desktop PC see specs below and both are running WinXP SP I ve been trying to setup a network between Solved: Networking Issues (2 Computers) the two computers for sometime now and have had no real success I have been able to play certain lan games if it Solved: Networking Issues (2 Computers) has a direct connect option but only if the Desktop is the host and the laptop is the one connecting The other issue is in the network connections folder on the Desktop PC everything is fine as far as the connection goes on the Solved: Networking Issues (2 Computers) laptop however the icon for the Lan connection has an exclamation sign next to it and says something to the extent of quot waring this connection has either limited or no connection status quot and if I try and repair the connection it just sits there for awhile thinking and then another error message pops up saying quot Repair failed IP address not available quot But I know that the connection is fine because I have been able to play a few games by hosting on the desktop PC and on the Desktop in the network connections folder it shows a steady flow between data packets sent and received on the laptop however only data packets are being sent not received Now I am using one of those Ethernet Crossover things but it was store bought not home-made and I ve had my friend test it on his two computers and it works fine also if I can fix this problem I d love to be able to transfer files to and from both computers via the lan connection however besides spending money on software I have been unable to figure out how to do this I ve tried the WinXp File and Settings Transfer program but have never had any luck with that I m at work right now but when I get home I ll edit the thread with screenshots of everything I m talking about for those who need a bit better illustration then the one I ve giving Also the only thing I can think that I might need to do is to manually create an IP address subnet mask etc if that is the case how in the heck would I do that Thanks Networking Devices Gigabit LAN with nVIDIA Gigabit Ethernet for Desktop and Gigabeth Ethernet on Laptop connected using RJ Crossover Cable bought at Bestbuy Geeksquad brand Laptop Specs IBM Thinkpad T- Enhanced Model Intel Pentium M GHz Processor mb DDR SDRAM GB Hardrive CD-RW DVD-ROM Combo Drive quot TFT Screen ATI Mobility Radeon mb g Wireless Lan and Gigabit Ethernet Port Integrated bluetooth k Fax Modem WinXP SP Alex Machine Specs AMD Anthlon bit Processor- AMD Heatsink and Fan Watt Power mb Kingston Memory WD G SATA Hard Drive LANPARTY UT n GB Motherboard ATI PRO mb AGPx Graphics Card BIOS-Original With Board WinXP SP Onboard Sound nbsp

Relevancy 50.74%

Is there any known issues? I've been looking around all day but I can't seem to get my Home Network under control.

A:Networking problems with Xp and Vista computers?

It should work. Most frequent problems are caused by your firewall settings and/or not having Vista Network and Sharing set to Private Network.

See these links to start
Five Windows Vista Tips for Networking and File Sharing
Beyond Simple File Sharing: Using Mapped Drives

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/networking-problems-with-xp-and-vista-computers.136170/
Relevancy 50.74%

I don t remember how I did the networking Back then I needed only the data from my desktop with Vista transferred to my laptop with Windows Also the laptop can print through wireless connection for the printer Everything has been working well But now I would like to access the data from my laptop with Windows to the desktop one Networking computers: between only 2 Solved: works way! going with Vista I just Solved: Networking between 2 computers: only works going one way! simply could not share the file from the laptop Windows to the desktop Vista When I use the desktop go to the network and click on the icon of the laptop I have a problem logging in There are only a few possibilities for my user name and password to try I fail all I cannot get the access to the laptop Funny thing is that I don t remember I set any user name or password for accessing the laptop from the desktop Why is it ok to access directly to the desktop Vista from the laptop Windows but not in reverse Please advice thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Networking between 2 computers: only works going one way!

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-networking-between-2-computers-only-works-going-one-way.931450/
Relevancy 50.74%

I have two Win7 machines that I am trying to connect via a router, both via a LAN and wireless. A printer is also wired to the router. The netwrok is desiganted as a Home Network on both computers.The system worked until I replaced a laptop running XP with a desktop running Win7.

The network map for desktop1 shows two network connections, a wired LAN connection and a wireless connection via the router. Both the wired and wireless network maps show the router and the printer but not desktop2.

The network map for desktop2 shows only one connection, but shows it as both wired and wireless. Again, both the wired and wireless network maps show the router and the printer but not desktop1.

How do I get the two computers to recognize each other?

BTW, I have an external harddrive attached to desktop1 for backups. I can backup desktop2 to that harddrive.

A:Problems Networking two Win7 Computers

Hi hwp,

Did you setup a Homegroup?
Home sweet homegroup: Networking the easy way in Windows 7

If you have a Security or Firewall Software, pls. disable it for now. If you are using Windows built-in Firewall, make sure to exclude File and Printer sharing.

In addition to the link please create the same UserName and Password on both computers.

Alternatively, try accessing the shared folder od Drive this way:
Click on the Windows Orb, type \\ComputerName\SharedFolderName press enter, also the Computer Name can be replaced by an IP Address.

http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/205087-problems-networking-two-win7-computers.html
Relevancy 50.74%

i know computers pretty well but i'm a newbie to networking. i'm having problems connecting a winxp home computer and a winxp media center edition computer. i ran the network setup wizard on both and i get a message saying limited or no connectivity on the winxp home computer. i have a dsl internet connection on the media center comp and 2 nic cards in this computer. i'm using a crossover cable to connect the two. i know somewhat about how ip addresses work, but when i try to change the ip address on the xp home comp, it wont let me enter anything at all. can someone please help me? i hope i included enough info.