Windows Support Forum

DVD no recognized in Bios but in Windows

Q: DVD no recognized in Bios but in Windows

We have a model HP z820, very powerful machine, with the basic hp image we have on there, win7 32, windows recognizes the DVD in windows but in the Bios it does not recognize it.

Note, this is SATA and the bios was already updated.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-no-recognized-in-bios-but-in-windows.193845/
Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: DVD no recognized in Bios but in Windows

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

Relevancy 58.05%

Hi

This question is for "JIMBEAN & CRJDRIVER" on your thread for HDD recognized by BIOS but not Windows.

You mentioned that you used O&O Disk Recovery if the HDD do not get recognized by Windows how will the O&O Disk Recovery recover the data??

Your help in this matter is much appreciated

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hdd-recognized-by-bios-but-not-windows.726619/
Relevancy 58.05%

Okay at first it could sound very simple on how to fix it but it's a bit more complicated than that so please hear me out First of all im very new to this so forgive me if I posted this in the wrong section Okay so went shopping and asked some computer technicians to build me a computer and all now that I'm trying to install windows bit or bit when i get to the part quot where do you want to install windows quot i see this Disk unallocated space GB okay now the thing is there are of threads like mine but the difference here is that i have a gb hardrive why on earth is only showing this one with only GB there Bios by Windows and recognized is not HDD are no more partitions and all the options such as quot delete format etend and so on are disabled only quot New quot is available which whatever i try prompts with an error and cant change anything HDD is not recognized by Bios and Windows i checked my BIOS now im a bit noob and on SATA settings the only thing i could find was my Optical Drive i couldn't find my hardrive listed there now i've tried IDE ACHI as well same thing Please help me out here here is some spec details on what I'm using Motherboard Asus Mainboard INTEL S H P H B Memory x GB Ram DDR HDD is not recognized by Bios and Windows PC gt HARD DRIVE gt Seagate HDD Desktop SATA III SV GB RPM MB Graphic Card SAPPHIRE VGA PCIE ATI GB DDR BIT CPU Intel processor S CORE i k ghz -- Any help would be appreciated UPDATE This is an absolute raw harddrive installing an operating system on it for the first time

A:HDD is not recognized by Bios and Windows

Hello Raeion. Welcome to the forum.

When the hard drive is not recognized in the BIOS it means that either the drive is defective or there is a connectivity problem.

The first thing to double check is connectivity. This is how I would proceed:
(Please use proper static precautions!)
Disconnect the hard drive (I assume there is just one) - power and data cables.
Boot the machine and go into the BIOS settings > set SATA mode to AHCI and leave it there.
Reboot the machine, check the BIOS again. Should be in AHCI mode and you should see the DVD drive listed on it's port.
Shut down and carefully connect the hard drive again. Recheck the data cable connection to the motherboard.
Start up, go into BIOS settings and see if the hard drive is listed (when you start up, listen for the drive to spin up)
If not listed, shut down and try a different SATA port on the motherboard
If still not recognized, try a different data cable (the one on the DVD drive is known good).
Let us know what you find.

EDIT:
If you had this machine built for you then you may want to just take it back and get the technicians to fix the issue. Don't leave the store until you can see the drive recognized in BIOS.
If you were to damage something doing your own work you might void any warranty.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/234222-hdd-not-recognized-bios-windows.html
Relevancy 58.05%

I recently installed Windows 7 onto my computer and one of the hard drives is not displayed in Windows.

It is listed in the boot sequence and in BIOS.

Does anyone have an idea as to why it would be in the BIOS but not available through Windows 7?

Thanks.

A:HD Not recognized in Windows 7 but in BIOS

- by a process of elimination - and starting with basic principles..
- firstly,
- have you checked that all the drives are properly connected?
- press each connection firmly into it's slot on the HD and on the motherboard, as well..

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/68798-hd-not-recognized-windows-7-but-bios.html
Relevancy 58.05%

Hello I am trying to upgrade a hard drive on a desktop pc Advent T - Motherboard MS Ver The problem is the drive is recognized in BIOS but not when trying to perform a fresh install of either Windows or XP Both programmes tell me no HDD is detected So basically the computer works no problem at all until I try to plug in one of my sata tb HDD s One of them is Hitachi the other is made by Samsung Both tb both sata The Samsung is brand new out of the box These tb drives work in my other by BIOS? HDD but in recognized OK not windows, desktop pc no problem Now when I plug one of my many old sata gb HDD s into the machine it recognizes them completely Could this be that the computer does not recognize drives of this size as it is old I have HDD not recognized by windows, but OK in BIOS? tried changing all settings in BIOS with no joy I have even installed XP on one of the drives using another PC then plugging it into the problem computer It starts to load XP then restarts and continues in a loop Please help as I have wasted my weekend off work on this Many thanks nbsp

Relevancy 57.19%

I just got a new DVD burner, and it was working fine for a few weeks. Then today, i reboot my computer, and it's not there. i reboot gain, and it shows up on the BIOS splash screen correctly, but windows can't find it. i checked my device manager, and it says the drivers are installed, but the device is not present. About a week before i bought the new burner, my old drive stopped working, but the circumstances were different. it was recognized, but it wouldn't read anything, and a system scan (using Sis Sandra Lite) showed something was there, but it couldn't tell me what. Are these two tings related, and how can i get my drive working again?

A:DVD burner recognized by BIOS, but not Windows

I had a similar problem running Windows ME on a VIA Apollo MVP chipset based motherboard. The problem occured when I enabled DMA access for the DVD drive through Device Manager. After enabling DMA and rebooting the computer, the drive completely disappeared from Windows, but the BIOS still recognized and reported its presence. The problem was resolved when I downloaded and installed the ATAPI Vendor Support and IDE Miniport drivers from the VIA website. These drivers can be found at www.viaarena.com.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-burner-recognized-by-bios-but-not-windows.75882/
Relevancy 57.19%

A friend had a problem with his hdd and gave it to me to see if I could find out what is wrong with it.

I plugged it into my pc, but I cannot see it either in Windows or in the BIOS. I want to run a diagnostic of it to see what is wrong with it, but since I can't access it I can't do anything with it.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

A:Extra HDD not recognized in Windows or BIOS

Be sure to check the cable connections, as I'm sure you have. When the computer starts can you hear or feel it spin up? If it is properly connected on both ends of the cable and won't spin up, there is little you can do.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/212192-extra-hdd-not-recognized-windows-bios.html
Relevancy 57.19%

If this question has already been HDD BIOS by but not recognized Solved: Windows addressed I apologize and would appreciate being pointed in the direction of the solution I searched a bit before posting this but I may have overlooked something I had an gb maxtor IDE hard drive hooked up as the slave on a friend s system I guess the power supply s fan went out when I was away and caused the system to overheat and shut down When I restarted after a couple of hours everything loaded up fine BIOS recognized all drives and whatnot except that windows xp home sp took about times as long to load and the Solved: HDD recognized by BIOS but not Windows maxtor doesn t show up in My Computer or in Disk Management I tried moving it to my system xp pro sp and again the BIOS recognized Solved: HDD recognized by BIOS but not Windows the drive as being the slave but windows took about times as long as normal to load and then there was no slave drive in My Computer or Disk Management note I did check all the jumper settings before doing this I am just about resigned to getting data recovery software but I don t understand why the BIOS would be able to see the drive when windows cannot or why it would cause windows to load so much more slowly Any help or guidance that could be provided would be most appreciated Also if I can provide any more information please do not hesitate to let me know Thanks Jim nbsp

Relevancy 57.19%

The subject says it all

Dell sys maximum RAM for this All In One Inspiron 24 - 3455 is 4G but Crucial says 16 so I went for it.
two 8s show up in bios. 
mail.google.com/.../
I ran Dell analysis but it wouldn't complete
MDSCHED found no problems

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/t/19992927
Relevancy 56.76%

I noticed that sometime after I installed windows that my dvd optical drive Recognized or DVD Not Drive Windows BIOS Optical in was not showing up DVD Optical Drive Not Recognized in Windows or BIOS I DVD Optical Drive Not Recognized in Windows or BIOS have done a lot of research on the matter and have yet to find a working solution I checked my BIOS and the drive is not listed there but I'm pretty sure it is properly connected I have an HP Pavillion dv so the drive just plugs into the slot directed connected to the motherboard and can be removed by unscrewing a single screw When the laptop is on I am able to open the drive and it lights up so I know it is getting power I have tried DVD Optical Drive Not Recognized in Windows or BIOS everything under the sun to fix the problem - checking cleaning the connection port deleting the upperfilters value from the registry which many people have said worked for them however for me it only gave me an warning message in itunes telling me the registry files for burning importing cd's was missing reinstalling gear drivers and running the microsoft fixit programs they just tell me they can't find the drive or that it isn't there - thanks microsoft Nothing has worked and it's driving me crazy not being able to use my dvd drive Has anyone had this problem to the same degree as me found a solution to it

A:DVD Optical Drive Not Recognized in Windows or BIOS

Of the BIOS cannot see it, no software fix will help including other drivers. It is probably a connection problem. If the disk works, then the mobo controller is OK because the optical drive uses the same controller in the chipset.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/144833-dvd-optical-drive-not-recognized-windows-bios.html
Relevancy 56.76%

Hi All I have an issue with the internal SATA HDD in my Pavilion dm t laptop PR XQ AAR The drive is working when connecting via external USB enclosure is recognized by the PC can read write data format partitions etc When plugged in as internal HDD of the laptop BIOS does not recognize it When booting from Windows Installation Disk the drive and its partitions are recognized but I get the following message when trying to select a partition to proceed with Windows install Windows cannot be installed to this disk This computer s hardware may not support booting to this disk Ensure that the disk s controller is in Windows recognized to BIOS HDD not this cannot disk... installed be enabled in the computer s BIOS menu Used external USB enclosure again connected to Windows cannot be installed to this disk... HDD not recognized in BIOS a working PC and using TestDisk I deleted the partition table by zero writing it several times then created a new MBR When connecting back as internal drive it is now recognized by BIOS and in the Windows installation screen I can actually select a partition on the drive to install Windows on the installation actually runs but as soon as I get to the point of having to restart the PC during the installation process upon restart the drive is not recognized anymore When I remove it and repeat the same steps with TestDisk it once again works can start Windows installation but it fails upon restart I have already read numerous forums on the topic have tried various drive utilities I also saw in one of the forums a suggestion to enable AHCI for the SATA controller but the laptop BIOS is extremely limited and does not have that option Please help Have been without a working laptop for several weeks and is driving me crazy Saving any data on the drive is not needed I have recovered all data from it that I need So my only objective is to restore the harddrive to fully working state and be able to install OS on it Windows -bit Thanks in advance for any help

A:Windows cannot be installed to this disk... HDD not recognized in BIOS

Unplug all other HD's and peripherals,

Boot into BIOS setup, reset to defaults, save changes. If an EFI BIOS you'll need to decide if you want UEFI BIOS vs. Legacy BIOS. If UEFI follow these special steps for Install, otherwise enable Legacy BIOS or Compatibility Support Module to proceed with normal install:

Set DVD drive first to boot, HD second, set SATA controller to AHCI, Save changes and Exit.

Then boot into Windows 7 installer DVD or flash stick burned or written using tool and latest ISO for your licensed OS version here. I would use a fresh ISO written with tool in Step 2 as yours is in question.

At first installer screen Press Shift + F10, or enter System Recovery Options to open a Command Box, type:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK 0 (after confirming Windows 7 target HD #)
CLEAN
CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
FORMAT FS=NTFS LABEL="WINDOWS 7"
ACTIVE
EXIT
EXIT

Next click Install Now, then Custom install to Clean Install Windows 7 to the partition you created. If it fails then report back at which step and the verbatim error message.

In addition read over these steps to understand the tools and methods which work best to get and maintain a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. The steps are the same for retail.

After install you can adjust partition size or Create new partitions for data, etc. in Disk Mgmt. You are creating the partition here for the purpose of wiping the HD and marking Active which overcomes certain install failures.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/314553-windows-cannot-installed-disk-hdd-not-recognized-bios.html
Relevancy 56.76%

I have a Dell Optiplex GX SD When I first purchased the PC it came with (Windows not Vista) OS recognized drive DVD BIOS by neither nor being a CD-ROM drive and Windows XP Professional pre-installed A few months after purchasing the computer I decided to upgrade my CD-ROM to a DVD-RW CD-RW I purchased a brand new DVD-RW CD-RW drive and replaced my CD-ROM with it Everything worked well I was able to play CD s burn movies etc A month later I decided to upgrade my Windows XP with Windows Vista Home Premium I purchased the DVD and installed it with no problems My DVD-RW drive worked fine even after installing Windows DVD drive not being recognized by neither BIOS nor OS (Windows Vista) Vista Then a week or two later I tried playing a CD I opened my DVD-RW CD-RW tray placed the CD inside then closed it Usually when I place a CD into my DVD-RW CD-RW drive and close it a window pops up asking me what I want to do however this time it didn t I went to My Computer and noticed that there was no DVD drive icon under Devices and Removable Storage I tried restarting my computer in hope that it would reappear but it didn t I went to Microsoft s website to try and figure out what was the problem One option was to go to Registry Editor HKEY LOCAL MACHINES SYSTEM CurrentControlSet Class D E -E - CE-BFC - BE and delete both upper filter and lower filter however I was only able to delete upper filter because there was no lower filter I restarted my computer but unfortunately it didn t work So I restarted my computer and went to Setup then to Boot sequence and besides On Board or USB CD-ROM drive it says not present I m assuming that means it s not recognizing my DVD-RW CD-RW drive I shutdown my computer unplugged the power cable and disconnected the DVD drive then I reconnected it and made sure everything was securely connected After plugging the power cable back into the computer I turned on the computer but it still didn t recognize the DVD drive Then I thought to myself quot maybe the drive is dead quot but that couldn t be right because once it s connected to the computer I m able to open and close it Then I decided to uninstall the DVD drive and install my CD-ROM to see if it would recognize it but it didn t I can t think of any other reasons why it wouldn t recognize my DVD drive What should I do Any suggestions nbsp

A:DVD drive not being recognized by neither BIOS nor OS (Windows Vista)

Hi lechevarria89,

Is the drive SATA or IDE? You've established that it is getting power to the driver, but not the information. And since it is not showing in BIOS, but was previously. We start looking at the physical information connector. SATA cables quite often fail, plus make sure the cable isn't bent at a 90 degree angle, with SATA the rule of thumb is "Mess is good!"

Let me know the update

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-drive-not-being-recognized-by-neither-bios-nor-os-windows-vista.128182/
Relevancy 56.76%

Hey all I had hard drives connected to my pc with IDE for booting windows and the other and the other SATA and IDE Hard windows by not Drive bios, but recognized for storage I did a reinstall of windows and now my IDE storage drive is not recognized by windows I looked at the hard drives under computer management but it does Hard Drive recognized by bios, but not windows not appear at all It does show up in the bios though I checked the jumper setting and even tried connecting via usb with an external enclosure With Hard Drive recognized by bios, but not windows the enclosure it just found the hardware but no drive on different computers Recovering the information on the drive is ideal but not necessary That said does anyone have any idea how to fix this If I do not find a solution is there any way to format the hard drive without windows I thought about installing a different OS on another computer just to format the drive but was not sure if this would work or if there was an easier way Thanks in advance nbsp

A:Hard Drive recognized by bios, but not windows

If you are using Vista/XP/Server 2003 or Seven, you can look in Disk Management.

Go to computer management (right-click computer then Manage)

On the left of the window, select Disk Management.

This will show not just the drives, but also the partitions on the drives.

It may be that the drive has become corrupt or is formatted in a way that Windows does not understand. Alternatively, it may just need to be assigned a drive letter.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-drive-recognized-by-bios-but-not-windows.127908/
Relevancy 56.33%

Hello Having some serious issues as it seems we all have So here's the situation As a nerd truck driver I bought a laptop for skyping with the family and playing games Laptop Drive booting in BIOS Hard now first not recognized not Windows, was working fine one night and the next morning I start it up and windows won't boot Just gives me a blank screen with the infamous blinking cursor in the top left After searching the forums it appears I need the Win install discs which this computer did NOT come with I may be able to get my hands on a reinstall disc but I doubt it'll be a samsung laptop disc I was however able to make a recovery disc from my wife's Dell laptop I thought she had a reinstall disc but we can't find it My current problem and the most troubling is that now BIOS doesn't even show the HDD I checked the connections and they are fine and I was able to put the SATA drive in my desktop and copied all my important data to my desktop So I know the drive is good Nothing is corrupted Hard Drive first not booting Windows, now not recognized in BIOS and all partitions including the recovery partition is Hard Drive first not booting Windows, now not recognized in BIOS intact I can't figure out why the laptop isn't showing the drive in BIOS now though I've tried the recovery disc a second time but it doesn't seem to want to boot correctly now It worked fine when the HDD was recognized but now it's getting to the blinking screen then the cursor jumps to the bottom right and pixelates across the bottom of the screen like it's trying to load I can probably get my hands on a reinstall disc if I can download one or ask around tomorrow but right now I need to figure out the HDD problem Any ideas PS I know this has been covered NUMEROUS times but none of the other threads have been any help with these issues Any help would be appreciated

A:Hard Drive first not booting Windows, now not recognized in BIOS

Ok, I got the recovery disc to boot again, but still don't have the HDD in BIOS yet. Only option that works in the recovery disc is the command prompt. searching for the HDD that way, but so far, I have only found D: which has the Dirs: Boot, and Sources, and a file called bootmgr. This is along with X: which is obviously the recovery disc. So far, I can't find anything else.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/224541-hard-drive-first-not-booting-windows-now-not-recognized-bios.html
Relevancy 54.18%

I have an old PC Compaq Presario Desktop that i purchased from a yard sale I removed the old HD and replaced it with a by BIOS not recognized but HD scandisk recognized HD by quantum gb at Lct HD that had Windows ME OS on it I booted the pc and it booted fine except windows booted up in bit color I shut down and booted again same thing i shut down a third time and checked BIOS settings then set them to default Now BIOS doesn t recognize the HD or the CD-ROM drive I have checked all connection reset BIOS removed the CMOS battery I literally have tried everything I can think of to get things going on this old PC but I am at the end of my rope I will say that scandisk will recognize the HD and says it is OK I have also taken the HD out and hooked it up to another PC and it boots up Windows ME just HD recognized by scandisk but HD not recognized by BIOS fine I have also tried every jumper setting on the HD and Cd-rom to no avail and the only drive that shows up in BIOS is the floppy drive which will boot up a Windows ME Boot Disk I don t have a problem installing a fresh OS but want and need the PC to recognize the drives before i can do that correct I am ready to pull my hair out Can anyone please help HD recognized by scandisk but HD not recognized by BIOS me nbsp

A:HD recognized by scandisk but HD not recognized by BIOS

probably the booting sequence is wrong due to the fact that you told the BIOS to load the preferred defaults. If you have a standard BIOS:

*go to advanced BIOS settings.... your going to see a big list of options .

<< check this picture for visual example>>
*take a look at the first , second and third boot device and change them to:

1- HDD - 0
2- HDD - 1
3- HDD - 2

Alternate them accordingly.

**probably the reason why your pc booted up at 16 bit the first time , may be
because you haven't installed the drivers for your video card yet.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hd-recognized-by-scandisk-but-hd-not-recognized-by-bios.107246/
Relevancy 48.59%

I am unsure if this is the right board to post in, but:
Last night I accidentally dropped my Dell XPS L401x (oops). It has had worse falls, but now when I try to boot it up there is a whirring/beeping noise as the machine tries to load, and it shows an error message:

"Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller Series v2.35 (06/14/10)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable"
and later
"Reboot and Select proper Boot device"

When I enter the BIOS I notice the Fixed HDD says (0.0GB).
I've already tried to disassemble the machine but I do not have much experience and have no idea what might have gone wrong, so I put it back together.

What should I do?

A:HDD not recognized in BIOS?

Welcome bootwes

It could be this fall actually damaged the HD making it unreadable.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/342808-hdd-not-recognized-bios.html
Relevancy 48.59%

Back to the table of knowledge again Think I have two problems maybe one is causing the other Hard drive is not being recognized on startup I get quot inaccessible boot device quot I go into bios and see there is nothing listed for a primary HD and also note that it also says quot CMOS battery low quot and quot CMOS memory size wrong quot The PC has been sitting in the attic for about three months since my son gave up on the HD issue but ol computer impaired here thought I would give it a try Would sitting with no power cause the battery to drain off MOBO is recognized HD bios in not an ECS K S A HD is one that was left over from some other unit My son said I had to change HD s so s not to loose his info on the original HD HD not recognized in bios is good cause I put it as slave in my PC HD not recognized in bios and it worked fine Not sure HD not recognized in bios how much memory installed but the stick is in the DDR slot I know kinda sporadic info but maybe can give someone as idea of whats wrong Thanks for viewing this thread nbsp

Relevancy 48.59%

Didn't see my issue covered in the forums.

Anywho....
I recently built a new machine, installed a new SATA HDD with windows and everything runs great. Tried to connect my old IDE E drive after installation to avoid any unnecessary formating. BIOS does not even recognize the drive. Checked cables, tried every possible jumper combo (see http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc...p.php?p_faqid=702&p_created=1037222373#jumper)

I originally had this connected through an IDE to SATA converter but it was not recognized then. Tried the alternate jumper adaptations and the only one that showed up was a slave drive on IDE that had zero space and no name, still did not boot or show up in windows.

Any suggestions?
Old IDE hard drive is not being recognized in bios

Thanks
Victor

Relevancy 48.59%

After leaving my comp. on, I came home to a blank screen with a message that comp.was shutdown because of heat issues, (I use 3 working fans)
Well, XP is not seen and comp.tries and tries to reboot. Cant safe boot. Cant even boot to bios. Am about to install Windows 7RC to 2nd drive (only one of two recognized). Cable connections seem to be good on both.
Whats going on here people? Is this MOBO fried?
Asus P5B-E
Intel E6600
XP Home

A:BIOS not recognized

If the other drive is not recognized,that hard drive may have failed.
Disconnect it and try your install on the detected drive.
It may be that the fail drive is also hanging the bios.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/bios-not-recognized.863997/
Relevancy 48.59%

I was restarting a computer and when it booted up it said to put in a bootable disk. So I tried a 160 gig hd with xp on it and it found it.
But when I tried not 1 but 2 new 500 gig WD hd it does not see them in the bios.
This is a windows 7 home premium computer. I am not sure what to do to get the laptop to recognize the hds.

Also I put the 2 wd harddrive one at a time as a secondary hd in the desktop computer I had and it would not recognize them either

I am not sure how to fix this

A:New HD not recognized in Bios

Hi! What do you see in Disk Management? You may have to assign it a drive letter.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/change-add-remove-drive-letter#1TC=windows-7

https://malwaretips.com/threads/new-hd-not-recognized-in-bios.39452/
Relevancy 48.59%

Okay, first let me mark down my system:
AMD64 3000+
Crosair 512 MB DDR PC3200
Sapphire Radeon 9800xt
Asus K8V deluxe
HDD1: Hitachi 120gb S-ata
HDD2: Maxtor Diamond Max Plus 9 (80gb) IDE <= trouble maker!.

Okay, here is the problem. I just bought a new system and want to move all my files from the old on to the new one. The old one will still be used so it cannot be formatted. I plug it in (jumper still set to master) and it boots from the IDE disk (winxp pro), now I don't want this, I want it to boot from the s-ata disk, on which my configured Windows XP pro is installed.

So I change the settings of the IDE disk to slave. It boots from the S-ATA disk (whoohoo) but fails to see it in windows/bios (DOH!). What am I doing wrong and what can fix it.

Confused? So am I.

Cheers

Seb

Relevancy 48.59%

Hello all I had two machines A dell and an Hp which HD BIOS by being Not Recognized I received HD Not being Recognized by BIOS from an office The hp was more up to date The dell had my software on it I am HD Not being Recognized by BIOS fairly facile with hardware so I opened the case and tried to add the dell HD to a what appeared to be an extra bay below the Hp Hard drive I adjusted the jumpers to CS and poof nothing So I took out disconnected the dell drive Then I had the Hp drive up and running in windows internet ready etc Well so I figure time to try the other hard drive again No dice It won t boot and seems only to want to recognize the older HD as Primary master I tried switching the cable order -- nada I tried changin the jumpers to master slave appropriately Nothing So I decided to just go back to barebones Well now it s not even recognizing the HP drive quot There is no boot drive present please insert boot disk or drive quot It is not recognized in BIOS at all Even with P P OS turned off If I disconnect the harddrive I can get the windows repair CD to boot but since it doesn t recognize the harddrive that s somewhat moot My next attempt will be to download maxtor s diagnostic test and see if it will find and test the drive If not maybe somehow it got screwed up Otherwise I am out of options besides replace that drive Any help anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated B C as of now I have machines that both worked in front of me however both of the are just glorified paper weights EDIT Both machines running XP one professional hp one home dell Much appreciation --purp nbsp

Relevancy 48.59%

Hello-

I am having trouble trying to figure out why this is happening to my system. I have four HDs connected to my machine. I have two of them connected to a Promise ATA100 PCI card, and the other two are connected to the Primary and Secondary IDE controller connections on my MB. When I boot up my system, all four drives are detected by BIOS. When I get into Windows XP Pro (SP2), only three of the drives show up under the My Computer screen. I have rebooted several times, and sometimes, the fourth drive does show up in WinXP. I have run chkdsk /f on the problem drive, and it comes back as clean.

Can anyone speculate as to why the HD is not detected correctly every time?

Thanks in advance.

A:HD recognized by BIOS, not by Win XP

Thats a tricky one. Maybe you should try a raid format.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hd-recognized-by-bios-not-by-win-xp-27067.html
Relevancy 48.59%

On an not by CPU Fan recognized BIOS. Asus Desktop M AD At boot the F CPU fan error screen I threw a new power supply and a gtx in CPU Fan not recognized by BIOS. there No problem But I reconnected the hdd and DVD drive backwards in the GBS ports or whatever and my only hdd was showing up as removable media in the notification area So I fixed that and now I get a CPU fan error at boot and my BIOS doesn't recognize the cpu fan even though it runs and everything is connected properly I can just disable the CPU fan monitoring in the BIOS but that's pretty weak Any idea of what's going on here Tons of threads but nothing of value to me This is a new computer all new parts putting the GPU and Power supply was easy and there has been no issue with those and I've connected everything properly I keep checking and trying to find out what the deal is Really don't feel like sending my computer in I'd buy another fan if any of you think that would work

A:CPU Fan not recognized by BIOS.

I recently had a similar problem with a Compaq Desktop running Vista that had a noisy CPU fan. I found out that the computer required the 4-pin [conductor] fan, wouldn't work properly with a 3-pin fan although the fan did operate. Apparently it's all about the signals back to the motherboard about the fan being at the right speed, the CPU is properly cooled, etc.

http://www.tenforums.com/pc-custom-builds-overclocking/35226-cpu-fan-not-recognized-bios.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Recently whenever I go to start my computer the bios will get to the screen that reads "Dell" and says f10 for setup, and so forth. It gets half way loaded and just stops. When I let it sit for around 15 or so minutes it says "Cannot find bootable drive." or something like that. What is odd though is that the first time it happened I just restarted my computer and it let it go. The next time it took four reboots to load, then six, and so on. I reset the bios by shorting the jumpers and it fixed the problem for a bit, but it is back now. Any ideas?

Relevancy 48.16%

Since I got my Inspiron 1525 with Windows vista from Dell, it has never worked without the power cord. The battery is not recognized by the system and has never worked.

A:Battery not recognized by BIOS or OS

Hi and welcome to TSG.

I would have been contacting Dell technical support as soon as I noticed the problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/battery-not-recognized-by-bios-or-os.934484/
Relevancy 48.16%

I have Seagate Barracuda GB it s maybe about months old It was working fine this morning but after a power outage behind surge protector and a reboot I got an error quot hal dll quot is missing So I went to work and looked it up and saw that IE might be the culprit So when I got home I started to go through the process of recreating the boot ini file that HDD BIOS in not Solved: recognized I thought was destroyed by IE Well come to look closer I couldn t even Solved: HDD not recognized in BIOS find the drive in the BIOS My secondary HDD was there but not the one I was looking for I tried in other comps and no dice nothing shows up The platters were spinning but it s almost as if the firmware isn t responding or the driver for the drive or something The data isn t so important that I m willing to pay s of dollars to get it back but I would like to know if this is something anyone has experienced a HDD to just die with no wawrning or anything Also if I get a HDD witht he same firmware etc is it possible to just switch the electronic part my pc board part and possible have it work just throwing out ideas Any comments or thoughts appreciated thanks nbsp

A:Solved: HDD not recognized in BIOS

If it is only 6 months old it should still be under warranty

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hdd-not-recognized-in-bios.843033/
Relevancy 48.16%

So I unplugged the Drive to spot out some problem with windows not installing correctly and now the Drive isn't being show in the Bios or on boot, it has power cause it opens the tray correctly and I tried resetting the bios to defaults.

How do I fix this. And I'm in the process of reinstalling Windows so I'm limited in what things I can do.

Thanks For Reading.

A:DVD Drive not Recognized in Bios

It would seem to be a connection issue. If necessary, try a different connector. A Guy

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/230626-dvd-drive-not-recognized-bios.html
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello

I have 500gig seagate drive that will not show up in BIOS
Tried on 3 different motherboards
Its a SATA drive

Does anyone know of any good utility programs that will scan the SATA controllers in an attempt to locate this drive
the drive was working yesterday without issue
no power surges etc..... just decided to not work during a update/reboot of system.

I have tried some utilities but without it appearing in BIOS, I guess there is not a whole lot I can do
Was hoping someone may know of a utility that will search the SATA controller for anything connected to it etc..

Thanks

Relevancy 48.16%

I have a Dell Demension 8300 (Windows XP). I was getting an error that the battery was low. I replaced it and now my DVD drives are not being recognized in either BIOS or in the OS at all. The drives have power and open and close and seem to be spinning but the computer is not recognizing them.

I am wondering if this is a problem in BIOS since i replaced the battery, or maybe if the cable needs replacing. The DVD drives worked fine before I replaced the battery. Could this just be coincidence that the cable went bad too?

I would appreciate any help with this.

A:My DVD drives are not being recognized by BIOS or OS

Just to cover this base, make sure the data cable didn't come loose while you were changing the battery.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-dvd-drives-are-not-being-recognized-by-bios-or-os.128675/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hello All You Brilliant Brainiacs. My son is a budding brainiac and he's driving me bananas with his half knowledge. He installed a 40g hard drive into our computer and it refuses to recognize it. I can't do much on the computer since it keeps telling me it's low on disk space. Even simple printing is asking it too much.
So after reading on the forums a bit I realized perhaps we need a bios upgrade. My computer is a Pentium II.
We have no sound now, and for 3 days the colors were all goofy. We're fixing one problem at a time, but I'm wondering about what I need to do to get the pc to recognize the HDD we just installed. THank you!!!!!!!!!

Rily8

Relevancy 48.16%

Have XP v. 5.1 build 2600 running on P IV 2.53 with 2GB ram on Intel D845PEBT2, 80 GB HHD IDE, 500 GB SATA and 400 GB Firewire External. I am trying to install a new Seagate Barracuda 1TB Internal and it is not recognized by the bios. I have tried multiple SATA cables and tried downgrading with the HDD jumper. My SATA ports are onboard the MB. Have tried removing all drives and trying only the new drive and it's still is not recognized. Any Suggestions?

A:1TB Barracuda not recognized by BIOS

The typical solution is to update the BIOS if a new version is available. Until the BIOS can recognize the HDD, Windows cannot access it. The Seagate tools disc may have a software workaround. Have you tried running the Seatools application? It may work from within Windows, if not, you could boot from the CD.

And this post should likely be in the hard drive forum.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/1tb-barracuda-not-recognized-by-bios-369373.html
Relevancy 48.16%

The title says it all. Why is this. (Windows XP)

Relevancy 48.16%

hello i got a Gigabyte GA-P -DS mainboard some time ago i noticed by accident that my windows only showed Only half recognized BIOS RAM by is of gb instead of gb i Only half of RAM is recognized by BIOS dont know exactly what caused it anyway i tried putting in each of the x GB ram modules by one and tried every slot by one too every stick worked and also every slot however then i tried adding one more at a time and it kept showing gb - until i put in all then it only showed GB instead of in BIOS and windows bit i tried buying a new battery since ive read that a low battery could cause it didnt help though also bought GB new ram yes its supported checked it and its still the same it only shows gb or gb when i put in of the new and of the old i also did the latest bios update and used default bios settings nothing of that helped in bios when my pc boots it also shows quot ram modules used and quot when sticks are in - or quot and quot when only are in id really appreciate help nbsp

A:Only half of RAM is recognized by BIOS

Most common cause would be unsupported RAM. Aside from that motherboard fault or BIOS issue.

I assume you've check the RAM support list here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2748#sp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/only-half-of-ram-is-recognized-by-bios.1076190/
Relevancy 48.16%

Hi everyone,
I have a seagate hd, it's set to single/master, it's the only harddrive in the machine, but my bios doesn't seem to see it.
I'm totaly stuck! if anyone every had this problem, i'd appreciat any help!

Pezus

A:Harddrive not recognized by bios

First thing to do check to see is the ide cable is bad try another if so, make sure your hard drive is attached to the master not the slave end of the cable, also if you have another hard drive swap that out to see if your seagate HD is good. be patient more is on the way.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/harddrive-not-recognized-by-bios.29501/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi I got a weird thing going on and have NO clue whats the cause all not please bios - recognized AHCI in at help enabled - if HD I want to install win on a clean drive but I cant even get to the install options because the drive is not recognized when i turn on the machine It stalls even before I can get into the BIOS settings I need to manuallly disconnect the drive gt then change back to IDE mode inside the bios and now I am able to install Windows The funny thing I have a backup image of HD not recognized at all if AHCI enabled in bios - please help - a running WIN installation and if I copy it onto the exactly same drive it runs without problems in AHCI mode does anyone have an idea what might cause the problem another weird thing i already installed win in IDE mode and thought that maybe later once the installation is done i could switch back to AHCI well same thing once ahci HD not recognized at all if AHCI enabled in bios - please help - mode was enabled in the bios the drive was not recognized anymore i also tried to install the chipset drivers from within windows and got a quot the system does not meet the minumum requirements quot after searching a solution for this problem i found out that it wont install until i have ahci mode active ugh btw its a gigabyte ga p ds and a WD Velociraptor drive

A:HD not recognized at all if AHCI enabled in bios - please help -

There are 6 SATA ports on the "South Bridge" controller (Orange ports). There are 2 SATA ports on the "Gigabyte SATA 2 Chip" controller (Purple ports). The orange ports use the generic Intel SATA/RAID drivers.

Which port do you have the hard drive connected to? Have you tried it in one of the the other ports?

That motherboard has a higher than normal number of complaints on Newegg. It could be defective.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/205813-hd-not-recognized-all-if-ahci-enabled-bios-please-help.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Installed Liteon LSC Slim Combo drive in Toshiba Tecra 9100. Dual OS (Win2k and XP) with PartitionMagic boot. Get IDE 1 error on boot. OS boots anyway. Win2k device manager shows no CD drive. There are two ways to get it to work 1) Remove and re-insert while hot - Win2k will find new hardware and install; 2) Delete and re-install secondary IDE channel - Win2k will find and install. However on next boot -same failure - IDE 1 error and no CD drive.

Relevancy 47.73%

This has me stumped I have a old Hdds in recognized Maxtor 2x not bios dell box for the 2x Maxtor Hdds not recognized in bios kids with bios flashed to A I just added a second gig Maxtor hdd for them as a slave on the primary controller hooked up with pin IDE cables When I do this in the bios under primary controller device it reads the size of the hdd but not the model Same for device on primary controller--size with no model If I try to install windows xp it gives me an error that windows can t find any hdds on the computer Here is where it gets weird I have an old gig samsung drive I 2x Maxtor Hdds not recognized in bios can hook up as slave or master on the primary controller in conjunction with either maxtor and they work fine--Bios and windows xp detects them at correct size and correct drive If I hook either maxtor up alone as master on the primary controller or secondary controller they work fine If I hook each maxtor gig hdd up as master on primary controller and secondary controller with cdrom and dvdrom slaved to each they work So what the hell Has anyone ever had anything happen like this before I can think of no reason why hdds by the same manufacture shouldn t work together on the same controller when they work with a hdd from a different manufacture or with different devices In other words I m saying Primary controller Master--Maxtor hdd- Slave--Maxtor hdd- Secondary controller Master--CDRW Slave--DVDrom This setup doesn t work Primary controller Master--Maxtor hdd- Slave--Maxtor hdd- Secondary controller Master--CDRW Slave--DVDrom This setup doesn t work Primary controller Master--Maxtor hdd- Slave--CDRW Secondary controller Master--Maxtor hdd- Slave--DVDrom This setup works Primary controller Master--Maxtor hdd- Slave--Samsung hdd Secondary controller Master--CDRW Slave--DVDrom This setup works Primary controller Master--Maxtor hdd- Slave--Samsung hdd Secondary controller Master--CDRW Slave--DVDrom This setup works Primary controller Master--Samsung hdd Slave--Maxtor hdd- Secondary controller Master--CDRW Slave--DVDrom This setup works Primary controller Master--Samsung hdd Slave--Maxtor hdd- Secondary controller Master--CDRW Slave--DVDrom This setup works Primary controller Master--Maxtor hdd- Slave-- Secondary controller Master--CDRW Slave--DVDrom This setup works Primary controller Master--Maxtor hdd- Slave-- Secondary controller Master--CDRW Slave--DVDrom This setup works The reason I want them both on the primary controller is because with the master primary master secondary setup I can t hook up two optical drives for the kids with the layout of the box Thanks for any input I m stumped nbsp

Relevancy 47.73%

Hello My HP Pavillion dv laptop failed on me last summer well the HDD failed I was unable to access the computer at all black screen saying failure Anyways I want to use my laptop again so I purchased a being BIOS. New in recognized Brand Harddrive not brand Brand New Harddrive not being recognized in BIOS. new Western Digital Blue HDD GB from Tigerdirect this afternoon I got home took out the old one popped the new one in expecting everything to go smoothly I plugged in my USB to install Windows on I get to the page where you choose the partition to install Windows and to come to my surprise there was nothing there Instantly my heart fell I'm like you've gotta be kidding me Drove an hour and a half through busy humid traffic to get this I checked the BIOS and it doesn't appear to be there I looked at HP's website and I can't find any new BIOS updates I'm trying to use quot Mini-Tool Partition Wizard quot but it's giving me some stupid error saying quot ERROR This bootable CD does not support Windows Server quot I have no clue what that means I've already tried reburning it a few times I'm ing frustrated I don't know what to do

A:Brand New Harddrive not being recognized in BIOS.

Can you try the hard disk on another PC? desktops can use them as well. You can connect it without rebooting too. First data cable then power cable.

Also check that the BIOS didn't disable sata (some do have the option of disabling the SATA controller and/or sata port, some don't, look in the page about hard drive info and try to change the "not installed" field if possible).

For a bootable partition manager I use a trusty linux USB drive, the tools are all packed in PartedMagic bootable disk.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/296446-brand-new-harddrive-not-being-recognized-bios.html
Relevancy 47.73%

So I have an IBM X I installed xp from the HD and when I turn my computer on the HD which is an old GB made in go HD and save/exit recognized, then not is is! bios My it into is completely ignored I can hear it spinning but the bios does not recognize it it tries to boot and says OS not found -BUT- If I turn on my computer go into the bios by pressing F and then just quickly press F to save and exit the bios then and only then does the hard drive get recognized and it boots to XP normally Does anyone know what is going on here Im going to try a new hard drive today and if that dosen t work I will try reflashing the bios and there is no newer version of the bios than the one I My HD is not recognized, go into bios save/exit and then it is! already have but I am going to try to re flash maybe its a bug in the bios or something Thanks for any help nbsp

A:My HD is not recognized, go into bios save/exit and then it is!

Hi,

Set the hard drive to slave, the CD usually gets to boot first as it's normally master.

Regards, Ellgor.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-hd-is-not-recognized-go-into-bios-save-exit-and-then-it-is.77843/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi,

I installed an old 160GB Seagate Barracuda into my Win7Pro64 machine for some extra storage room. At first it worked fine. I cleaned it out and did a quick format in Windows.

Now Windows does recognize it at all. I see it in the BIOS but it won't show up in Windows.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

A:SATA HDD recognized in BIOS but not by Win7 Pro

Does the drive show up in disk management?

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/241472-sata-hdd-recognized-bios-but-not-win7-pro.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi, I have two front usb 3.0 ports that used to work, but now it doesn't. I've already installed the correct drivers from the manufacturer's site and two of the same type shows up in device manager(ASMedia XHCI Controller). When I plug in my usb 3.0 flash drive, nothing happens, but it would read in a usb 2.0 port. i also have also tried the latest BIOS update. motherboard is M5A97 R2.0.

A:USB 3.0 not recognized even with drivers and updated bios

I had USB 3.0 problems on my custom built (by me) Recording Studio PC. The front panel USB 3.0 ports stopped working. I tried many things, including reseating the USB 3.0 connector on the motherboard and trying all USB 3.0 ports on the motherboard (it has 3 separate front panel USB 3.0 connections) and finally gave up. USB 3.0 wasn't a major issue for me but after the motherboard developed another problem I decided to send it back for warranty repair. The repaired board, which looks like a new board as there is no visible traces of any repair, now has working USB 3.0.

Check the connection to the motherboard, in case it has come loose (I've had that one time). If that is not the problem, the motherboard will have to be repaired/replaced.

Removing and reinstalling the motherboard is a hassle, but if USB 3.0 is something you need and the board is still under warranty, consider this option. Contact the motherboard vendor.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/325154-usb-3-0-not-recognized-even-drivers-updated-bios.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Just picked up an Asus BC-1205PT Blu-Ray drive and it isn't being recognized in BIOS. Ended up having to install Windows using an old IDE drive. Can't figure out why in the world the new drive won't show up.

Installed newest BIOS version on my Asus M3A32-MVP Deluxe, as well as all new drivers.

Drive: Asus BC-1250PT
Motherboard: M3A32-MVP Deluxe
Processor: AMD Phenom 9850

Anyone had similar issues/know what the problem could be? =(

A:Asus BC-1205PT not recognized in BIOS.

Some new updates...

There are 3 other SATA Hard Drives also plugged in (That work fine). I've tried switching around where they are plugged in (1, 2, 3, 4) but nothing happens. It just gets stuck up in POST when it gets to the Optical Drive.
So if it's plugged into SATA 2, it will see the drive in SATA 1, etc. BUT if the drive is plugged into SATA 1 it finds nothing.
Hope all of that made sense.
EDIT: SATA is setup as follows;
OnChiP SATA Channel - Enabled
OnChip SATA Type - IDE (With options for RAID and AHCI)
Also forgot to mention there is another Hard Drive plugged in through IDE. Not sure if that would matter. (unplugged IDE HD and still nothing)

And the Blu-Ray drive is plugged into.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/asus-bc-1205pt-not-recognized-in-bios.718481/
Relevancy 47.73%

Right, so I recently upgraded my computer. I just need to install Windows XP onto my hard drive. The problem is, in BIOS, my CD Rom isn't getting recognized. I have a IDE to SATA adapter (this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812816113) to connect the CD ROM which as a old IDE connector, to the motherboards SATA ports, as it does not have any IDE ports.I also see that the LED for the adapter is on and I know that the switch is in the correct place. Please help. My motherboard is a EVGA P55V, which can be found here. http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6247549

Relevancy 47.73%

Received a BIOS update message and accepted.  Once update was complete the laptop could not recognize me Iris, nor original 4 digit pin.  Kept telling me to use original Pin, which I did, but to no avail.  Please help.  Because of where I work, I have to connect to internet manually after start-up, not accesible automatically. Please help!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/Iris-nor-pin-recognized-after-BIOS-update/td-p/5800421
Relevancy 47.73%

So after reinstalling my windows on a SSD, i cannot see my other HDD drive that I haven't even touched, It only shows up in device management in the disk drives, not in the disk management. It also shows up as dynamic. Tried using Partition wizard, but it shows that the disk is bad, so i tried converting it from dynamic to basic, but it fails to do so. I have files on it that I cannot lose, any suggestions?

EDIT: Fixed by itself, it now appears in the disk management.

A:HDD gets recognized by BIOS but I can't see it at Disk Management.

Quote: Originally Posted by aiceo

So after reinstalling my windows on a SSD, i cannot see my other HDD drive that I haven't even touched, It only shows up in device management in the disk drives, not in the disk management. It also shows up as dynamic. Tried using Partition wizard, but it shows that the disk is bad, so i tried converting it from dynamic to basic, but it fails to do so. I have files on it that I cannot lose, any suggestions?

EDIT: Fixed by itself, it now appears in the disk management.

Quote:
I have files on it that I cannot lose, any suggestions?

You can use Macrium ( free) to create the image.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/content/pa...2270j1060538j7
Be careful when downloading to always click "custom" and decline any of the crap it wants to add - i.e. changing search engines, home page, etc.

Make a boot cd( instructions on main page) and also after creating the image, do a Verify.

I do this by clicking Restore and browsing for the created image and you will see a link to Verify.

Put the image on a different internal hdd and if you have an external hdd, put one there as well.

Do an image backup periodically, (I do it once a week or after any major changes).

This will prevent loss of your files if you have a virus,corruption, etc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/356714-hdd-gets-recognized-bios-but-i-cant-see-disk-management.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi, Ive got a customer that is using a lenovo basic + ultra with model t440s + t430s. Both models are experience problem where the laptop dosent recognize the lenovo usb keyboard and a lenovo usbdongle keyboard at uefi/boot.Customer is using Bitlocker for Windows10 and need to input a post password before windows is booting.On the specific model "T440s Laptop (ThinkPad) - Machine Type 20AQ, Model 0069MS" i have the newest firmware installed and it sometimes requires shutdown and starting again for the usb keyboard to start working... any ideas?

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Keyboard-not-recognized-in-uefi-bios/td-p/3346417
Relevancy 47.73%

Hello,We own a pavilion p7-1074be desktop.We had set the power-on (BIOS) password to be empty.On turning on the computer however it says the password is incorrect.After three attempts, it shows a star symbol *, but does not give any code.Rebooting the computer re-allows three attempts. We tried the following:Previous passwords, with and without caps lock, num lock, ...Resetting the BIOS using the CMOS jumper.Resetting the BIOS by removing, waiting, and replacing the CMOS battery.but none of this works, the computer still asks for a power-on password and still refuses the one we had set.Is there another way to bypass this problem?Thank you for your help.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/BIOS-power-on-password-not-recognized/td-p/5767100
Relevancy 47.73%

I recently installed an old 10GB harddrive that I got from a friend with nothing on it. It is recognized in the BIOS and in Device Manager but not in My Computer. I installed redhat 9 on it but now I want to reformat it and turn it into a storage drive because I'm about to reformat my 120GB so instead of backing up on lots of cd's, i would like to back up on that 10gig. HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED!

A:Harddrive Is Recognized In BIOS But Not In My Computer

Hum, I take it you created a partition & formated it in FAT32 or NTFS before looking for it in "My Computer", right ?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/harddrive-is-recognized-in-bios-but-not-in-my-computer.18164/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hello,

I just bought a new notebook Toshiba Satellite L50-B-2C8 and I also bought Samsung SSD 850 evo 250GB.
When I try to install the SSD drive instead my HDD the BIOS show "none" in Category SSD/HDD (BIOS not recognize the SSD).

Please help me.
My bios version is : 2.00v
*** someone told me that I need to downgrade my BIOS version to 1.2v, and then the BIOS recognize the SSD drive, so maybe someone here can send me a download link to the 1.2 version of my model L50-B-2C8 .
Thanks

A:Satellite L50-B-2C8 - new SSD is not recognized in BIOS settings

*** someone told me that I need to downgrade my BIOS version to 1.2v

And who? I mean are you sure that this person was right?
From my point of few there is no reason why early BIOS version should recognize the SSD drive and the newest BIOS version doesn’t…

But BIOS v1.2 for Satellite L50-B-2C8 PSKTQE series does not exists… the v2.0 (at this time) is the latest version and older BIOS versions are not available for this series.

Furthermore I guess you will need slimply check different SSD drive… it could be possible that other SSD drive would be recongized properly.

By the way: I’m owner of Evo 850 SSD drive and as far as I can remember I had to update the SSD drive firmware to use it properly in connection with my other notebook (not Toshiba unit)

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?82561-Satellite-L50-B-2C8-new-SSD-is-not-recognized-in-BIOS-settings
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi,after recommended updates of drivers and BIOS the notebook does not accept the PIN I used before. I cannot pass through the innitial page ...What should I do ?thanksjindrikos

A:initial PIN not recognized after BIOS update

Hello there, Try to do a BIOS recovery.Please do the following steps to perform a bios recovery. 1>Power off the computer2>Press and hold Windows key along with letter "B" (win+b)3>power on the computer.  cheers!

I am an HP employee

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Boot-and-Lockup/initial-PIN-not-recognized-after-BIOS-update/td-p/5533423
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi,

Last night I plugged into my computer my USB storage device to access some files and up came:

"USB NOT RECOGNIZED"

The computer had been on standby for an hour so I reckon this could be the problem but I tried all the remedies I could find: unplugged, switched off, leave for 5 minutes, reboot, etc. It did not work.

I've tried almost everything. So I went to bed and 8 hours later rebooted and plugged in my USB storage device and lo ah behold! "USB NOT RECOGNIZED"

So I phoned my dad and he said that I had to reinstall the chipset drivers and update the BIOS.

I don't like messing with the BIOS and I know nothing about installing any "chipset drivers".

What should I do?

Relevancy 47.73%

I have a AK75-EC DFI mobo, Duron 1.4Ghz cpu, PC-100 128MB RAM. Installing new os but can't get my new GeForce2 MX400 AGP card to work. I'm booting with Win98 boot disk and PCI video works fine. I've had other OS's installed before with PCI video card. In bios, I changed int video seek to AGP, AGP driving controller is set to auto (also tried manual driving control set to EA), apature is set to 64 (half of ram).
I suspect a bios upgrade for this AK75-ec board but can't find one. Any ideas or suggestions?

A:GeForce2 MX400 AGP not recognized by bios

Have you tried flashing your BIOS with a bootable flash disk? You can usually get these from your system manufacturer or mobo manufacturer's website.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/geforce2-mx400-agp-not-recognized-by-bios.4825/
Relevancy 47.73%

I currently have 2 SATA hard disks connected, then 1IDE hard disk on blue IDE slot and 2 IDE cdroms on the other IDE slot. I also have two other external drives each connected to a USB port.

The problem is that the IDE hard disk is not being recognised in BIOS, when I try to switch some settings in the BIOS IDE configuration I have managed to get it recognised but then the cdroms are not recognised, how can I get them all recognised?

Another problem I have is with the external drives. If I switch them on before the computer boots up the POST will hang, so I have to leave them off until the POST ends and switch them on while windows loads so they get recognised by windows with all their sharing settings intact. Is there a way to eliminate this annoying problem?

Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-disk-not-recognized-in-bios.766780/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi A friend of mine's computer stopped working a few days ago When turned on they only get a message to reformatted in not or win recognized Bios 7 HDD Install change the boot sequence or insert boot media I took out their HDD and attached it as a external to my computer I then backed up all their reformatted HDD not recognized in Bios or win 7 Install files the drive appears to be working fine not being sure what the issue was I decided to reformat the drive and re install a clean version of win After finally getting the drive completely erased I reformatted as NTFS and installed it back into the computer At this point The bios did not recognize any HDDs or optical drives I had the win disk in the DVD drive I created a bootable USB win disk which the computer did recognize and initiated set up At this point the set up process does not recognize any drives Not sure what to do to get it to recognize the drive Any advise is appreciate My initial thoughts are formatted incorrectly Thanks Jeff

A:reformatted HDD not recognized in Bios or win 7 Install

Reset BIOS to defaults, set SATA controller to AHCI to try install.

In BIOS setup see if HD is detected and how it is set to boot. If not detected check the cabling which may have caused the original error message if the HD was still accessible when moved to copy out data.

Next test the HD using maker's HD Diagnostic extended CD scan, followed by Disk Check run from installer command line accessed by Shift + F10 at first screen after booting. Then use diagnostics CD Quick Wipe function to run Diskpart Clean Command, or run it from installer Command Line.

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/230623-reformatted-hdd-not-recognized-bios-win-7-install.html
Relevancy 47.73%

the title says it all
it was working before the BIOS Update My Board is Intel DG31PR
Updated to the (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...=2839&lang=eng)
and i dont remember the old BIOS version
Help?

A:USB SATA is not recognized after BIOS update

You can check in your BIOS settings to make sure the USB ports are still enabled. THen, make sure they show up in Windows, and try other devices, such as a flash drive.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/270020-usb-sata-not-recognized-after-bios-update.html
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi,
First off I am running Win 7 on a primary SSD, and have 2 1TB HDD in RAID 1 for storage. I have been running this setup fine for a while now.
I recently updated my BIOS (P8P67) using the EZ Flash utility from USB per the following steps:
-Restore defaults
-Flash new BIOS
-Restore defaults
-Reset SATA mode to RAID

Everything went fine, and I verified that my BIOS was seeing the 2 HDD as 1 volume. The Intel RAID controller shows the mirrored volume and 2 drives on bootup, all fine. However, when I get into windows, the RAID volume is not listed in the Intel RST software, device manager or disk management.

I got confusion.

A:RAID 1 not recognized in OS after BIOS update

After going online to Intel and checking that I had the latest drivers for the SATA controller, I decided to check the ASUS website. I downloaded and installed the older driver they had listed there, and during installation it picked up the volume and now all is good. I doubt it had anything to do with the driver version though. I think if I had tried just reinstalling the newest ones the same thing would have happened. Anyone know why I had to reinstall in order for the volume to be picked up?

I still have a fairly severe case of confusion...

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/276660-raid-1-not-recognized-os-after-bios-update.html
Relevancy 47.73%

The problem is pretty much sum'd up in the title I have a TB Western Digital Blue Caviar sata HDD hooked up to the motherboard A while back when I went to go boot is Win bios, disk management HDD in 7 (1TB) not 2nd recognized in up the PC the HDD busy light just stayed solid and windows took a lot longer than usual to load When it does I can't use the hard drive I have tried to rescan for it in disk management and exhausted all most all the fixes I can find in threads on the net I know it's not a totally dead disk because 2nd HDD (1TB) is recognized in bios, not in Win 7 disk management a couple times the C drive boot drive automatically ran CHKDSK it seemed to repair or small files a 2nd HDD (1TB) is recognized in bios, not in Win 7 disk management file structure or something and then the D drive would return for a couple days before the problem returned I replaced the Sata cable with a new one it started working again but only for a few days I'm kind of baffled on this one Usually I figure these things out Any help would be greatly appreciated Have a good day AMD FX tm - Eight-Core - Gigabyte Technology Co Ltd A-DS P - AMD Radeon R Series - Microsoft Windows Ultimate -bit

A:2nd HDD (1TB) is recognized in bios, not in Win 7 disk management

Are C and D both partitions on this single WD Blue?

Or do you have 2 distinct drives?

Not sure what you've tried, but have you run any Western Digital drive diagnostic utilities?

Have you connected the problem drive to several different motherboard ports?

Please tell us about your "Pennsylvania" operating system.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/399214-2nd-hdd-1tb-recognized-bios-not-win-7-disk-management.html
Relevancy 47.73%

I have a user with Windows XP and a Dell Dimension 2400. Recently, her power supply died on her system so I replaced the power supply with another one from another 2400 machines. Now her CD-ROM drive is no longer recognized. It gets power as we can open and close it and I see the green light on it but the system does not recognize the drive anywhere. In BIOS it shows it as uninstalled. I unplugged and reseated the data cable but it is still not being recognized.

Any other ideas or suggestions?

A:CD-ROM not recognized in BIOS or Device Manager

Replace the drive. Be sure no pins are bent. Be sure the jumper is correct.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-rom-not-recognized-in-bios-or-device-manager.896124/
Relevancy 47.73%

I have a Toshiba Satellite a85-s107 running Windows XP Pro, I have no floppy either

I cannot get the cd/dvd to be recognized even after reinstalling all of the drivers from the rescue cd using an external cd/dvd drive

If I could just get this dinosaur to boot to the external CD/DVD I'd be golden

My only choices in the bios are;
CD
HDD
LAN
FDD

Any ideas??

A:CD/DVD not recognized BIOS wont boot from USB

I don't seem to understand your problem.

You say your Windows doesn't recognize the DVD drive, right? Why do you need to boot off the DVD drive, then?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-dvd-not-recognized-bios-wont-boot-from-usb.884340/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi,

I've installed the latest BIOS into my TECRA S11-U10 and now my 'HID' device won't load - i.e. my USB dongled wireless mouse. I now have to remove dongle and re-insert before the TECRA will see the mouse.
Annoying, just about usable, but it is a PITA and I'm conscious of always 'making/breaking' the USB connection.

Must be something to do with BIOS and seeing HID devices on 'StartUp'?
Lastly, I have enabled Legacy USB device support in BIOS, but still no joy. Also, have tested mouse on other laptops - works fine on StartUp, so NOT the mouse.

Any suggestions, folks? Thanks....

A:Tecra S11 with BIOS 3.50 - USB mouse is not recognized on start-up

Hi

Disconnect your USB mouse and go to device manager.
Then delete all USB hubs and USB controllers from the device manager list.
Then reboot the notebook.
Wait until all USB ports have been recognized and installed again.
Then connect the USB mouse and check how it works.

You should also test different USB ports available on this notebook.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?77393-Tecra-S11-with-BIOS-3-50-USB-mouse-is-not-recognized-on-start-up
Relevancy 47.3%

Hi everyone I have a Seagate ST A GB ultra ata drive that will spin up but is not being recognized in either of two systems The drive came out of a pc that was Seagate in not drive Solved: bios recognized dying and I just rebuilt I thought I had copied all the files I needed off of this drive But now have figured out that of all Solved: Seagate drive not recognized in bios the Solved: Seagate drive not recognized in bios things for me to forget I didn t get the outlook pst file UGGG I ve called a couple of local computer shops The conscensus is that if it spins up but isn t recognized then the controller card on the drive is probably bad If that is the case I m being told that there s no hope Is it true that there s no hope if the controller card is bad What are the chances of me taking this apart and replacing the controller card from an identical drive I think I ve set all the jumpers correctly for the drive I can t remember if jumpers will prevent it from being recognized in the bios I think I ve tried all of the options though Thanks nbsp

A:Solved: Seagate drive not recognized in bios

yes when the controller card on a hard drive goes dead then its usually comes to a dead end, personally i have never tried to rip it open and try to replace the controller card, something you could try and do if you wanted to try it, but wouldnt get your hopes up. as far as the jumpers go it doesnt matter where you put it on the hard drive it would show up in the system somewhere you would just have some conflicts going on that would let you know that you need to redo your settings on your drives.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-seagate-drive-not-recognized-in-bios.539412/
Relevancy 47.3%

I have replaced the original HDD and installed a new SSD which works fine Installed the W Pro and all updates I do caddy BIOS recognized in S300 is Pro by HDD - not Satellite not use my CD-Writer so I replaced the CD-drive and installed a caddy with my old HDD to have more diskspace When I boot my laptop I see a message CD-ROM ERROR In device manager the caddy and or the HDD are not shown I tried to change settings in the BIOS according Toshiba Satellite Pro S300 - HDD in caddy is not recognized by BIOS utility the latest version but even in the Bios is no information about the present SSD or the installed HDD or the CD-Drive when I re-install this drive again What is wrong here Do I need an updated BIOS that allows the nd HDD Or do I overlook a setting somewhere NB In the BIOS the HDD drive settingis according ACPI in the listing below it is mentioned as IDE device When I enter in the BIOS IDE in stead of ACPI I still see the CD-ROM ERROR during boot and after this message the screen is blue and no further activity The relevant PC Information Model Name Satellite Pro S Part Number PSSB E- H FDU Serial Number H OS Version Microsoft Windows Professional Service Pack BIOS Version Version CPU Intel R Core TM Duo CPU T GHz Physical Memory MB RAM Hard Disk Capacity Byte GB Hard Disk Free Space Capacity Byte GB IDE Device V -CT V SSD TEAC DV-W S-RT FW version D

A:Satellite Pro S300 - HDD in caddy is not recognized by BIOS

As far as I know Toshiba doesn't offer such caddy for your notebook model so I presume you use some third part product. Is that correct?
I mean if this is not working correctly it is not Toshiba related issue. Caddy manufacturer must offer support and explanations.

As far as I know BIOS update has nothing to do with it. It is compatibility problem I think.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?73386-Satellite-Pro-S300-HDD-in-caddy-is-not-recognized-by-BIOS
Relevancy 47.3%

I have a brand new Foxconn A7GM-S 2.0 motherboad which seems to be unable to recognize my two SATA hard disks. I have ensured that the power connectors and SATA cables are snug, and have tried each pair of the six SATA slots on the motherboard. I also don't hear either hard disk powering up upon boot.

This board is a replacement for my older motherboard, which died rather suddenly. Both hard disks were connected to the old motherboard at the time of its failure, which leads me to wonder if the disks are damaged beyond repair. Do motherboard failures generally affect connected hard disks? Or is my new motherboard defective?

Specs:
CPU = AMD Athlon 64 X2 5050e
Motherboard = Foxconn A7GM-S 2.0 (BIOS version 8.00.14)
RAM = 2 x 2 GB GSkill DDR2-6400
HDD1 = Seagate Barracuda (160 GB)
HDD2 = Western Digital Caviar (80 GB)

Relevancy 47.3%

Hi all I know this is similar to at least one recent thread but different enough to post I am upgrading my sister s machine from a Gb WD Caviar to a Gb Seagate U Series drive ST from memory ATA The machine Disk BIOS Hard not being by auto-recognized is running a K not sure of the Mobo but obviously supports the AMD chip From what I have been able to glean from the Seagate Hard Disk not being auto-recognized by BIOS site this drive should be backwards compatible with any IDE connector but when I stick it in with the BIOS set to auto-detect all drives the machine halts trying to detect the Seagate drive although it will let me Ctrl-Alt-Del and also press Del to get into CMOS setup I have tried it as Primary Master and as Primary Slave both with the other HD on the same cable and without it in at all Seagate s disk tools are able Hard Disk not being auto-recognized by BIOS to detect that it is there even when not setup in the BIOS Seagate s disk wizard which is an excellent tool for installing a new drive told me that all I had to do was set BIOS settings to auto for that drive and all would be rosy It looks at what drive you have what Hard Disk not being auto-recognized by BIOS BIOS you have and gives you instructions to suit The documentation tells me that if the BIOS supports LBA and Large disk types then all should be fine - it does Can anyone give me any ideas on what s going on I have installed quite a number of hard drives in the past but never come across anything like this Rich nbsp

Relevancy 47.3%

Hi I've built an gb Samsung Series SSD into my Acer RL Nettop It was empty and when I tried to boot the nettop there was only the message quot ERROR No in Built Bios SSD, but recognized doesn't in boot boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed quot Then I connected the SSD to another computer and installed windows on it and it worked on that PC When I put it pack into the Nettop i got the same error again In the Bios it shows the SSD correctly I also tried booting Windows or any recovery tool from a memory stick but the error message appears before anyting else can Built in SSD, recognized in Bios but doesn't boot load The memory Stick is shown correctly in the bios and also it works with other computers I've tried the options IDE and AHCI as well as different booting priorities I don't know what else to try If the memory stick can't boot shouldn't it be a problem within the bios then Here are a Built in SSD, recognized in Bios but doesn't boot few screens WP jpg WP jpg WP jpg Thank you for your help and excuse my English skills

A:Built in SSD, recognized in Bios but doesn't boot

system specs please, use speccy or cpu id

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/257292-built-ssd-recognized-bios-but-doesnt-boot.html
Relevancy 47.3%

Just bought the MAXTOR SATA GB HDD w MB cache B S and my BIOS will not detect it all MOBO ASUS P P Deluxe I am already running without any problems a MAXTOR SATA GB hdd Y M connected on SATA socket not recognized MAXTOR HD 300GB SATA BIOS... by Attempt Tried to plug in the GB drive to the SATA socket as a nd drive Result BIOS does not detect ANY drive not even the original GB drive Attempt Tried to plug in the GB drive on its own instead of the GB drive to SATA socket Result Could not even enter BIOS setup PC froze after memory count Furthermore I even held the drive in my hand with only the power cable hooked up to it fired up the machine and felt it spinning so I doubt it s a power issue Tested the SATA data cable with the original drive and works MAXTOR SATA 300GB HD not recognized by BIOS... fine I also updated the BIOS to the latest version to no avail MAXTOR told me to try their POWERMAX software on the drive I don t know how it will detect it but will give it a go Open to suggestions Cheers nbsp

A:MAXTOR SATA 300GB HD not recognized by BIOS...

I've had to use the powermax software to install maxtor drives before.

Also, you may want to make sure that the primary device on the sata channel is set to auto in the bios. If it has previous, or no drive detection information it may not autodetect.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/maxtor-sata-300gb-hd-not-recognized-by-bios.18228/
Relevancy 47.3%

I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 that I installed a new Seagate Barracuda model

7500.10 part no. 9DJ04E-305 250 Gb hard drive in. The O/S, Windows xp,

installed but the hard drive is not recognized in the BIOS unless I install the

jumper in the master position, when this is done the computer boots to the black

screen that says "NTLDR missing". I have installed the NTLDR file in the folder I

found it in on my laptop but still get the same results. This is the only hard-drive

and I flashed the BIOS. Any help would be appreciated.

A:New hard-drive not recognized in bios yet loaded new OS

is the sata driver loaded?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/new-hard-drive-not-recognized-in-bios-yet-loaded-new-os.119945/
Relevancy 47.3%

BIOS does not recognize the FDD. Have tried 4 different drives and different cables, no go. Could the mainboard be the culprit?

Any words of wisdom?

Appreciate your help.

A:Floppy Disk Drive not recognized in BIOS?

This one takes the cake. Was waiting for it to auto-detect!!! Christmas is also coming.

The old brain is fried, been looking at this thing too long.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/floppy-disk-drive-not-recognized-in-bios.39918/
Relevancy 47.3%

Hard Drives not recognized in BIOS or MY COMPUTER Problem An MSI M B Socket P Gh Windows Pro K SDRAM Primary Master Maxtor GB partitioned - amp Primary Slave is X CD-ROM Additional hard drives are never recognized in BIOS or in MY COMPUTER nor are drives that are attached to a Maxtor Ultra ATA IDE Adapter card recognized All possible settings in the BIOS have been tried and jumpers power BIOS or not COMPUTER Hard Drives MY recognized in and ribbon cables have been triple-checked Firewire card recognized but message says it can t start Code I boot up the computer The following is a device manager listing DEVICE MANAGER IDE ATA ATAPI controllers Intel BA Ultra ATA Controller Hard Drives not recognized in BIOS or MY COMPUTER Primary IDE Channel Location IRQ F - f f - f This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use Code If you want to use this device you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system Primary Ultra ATA Channel is using the resources of the primary IDE Channel Secondary IDE Channel Location IRQ - - Same message as Primary IDE Channel Code It is not using any resources because of the problem Secondary Ultra ATA Channel - is using the resources of the secondary IDE channel In other devices a PCI Device gets detected Don t know what it is so I disable it In IEEE Bus Host Controllers there is an exclamation mark next to the Texas Instrument OHCI Compliant IEEE Host Controller When I view Properties message is The device can not start Code Going to RESOURCES shows a message This device is not using any resources because it has a problem I d greatly appreciate any insight you might be able to give me to try and solve these problems Thank you Vic nbsp

Relevancy 47.3%

hi guys,
I have a Dell Vostro 220 desktop that's been running fine. Unfortunately something seems to have gone wrong when I updated the BIOS via the Dell website a few minutes ago.

Once Windows XP starts, it LOOKS like it's in safe mode (huge icons, etc.), even though it's not.

What's more, my USB mouse NO LONGER works. It's not even powered on.

Once the PC restarts, or I go into the set-up (before Windows loads), the mouse is ON again -- but not when Windows starts.

Is there a way to "reset" the bios so I can get things working again?? PLEASE HELP ME.

cheers.

A:USB Mouse Not Recognized, Bios Bad on Dell Vostro

Did you update everything else when you flashed the BIOS?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/307874/usb-mouse-not-recognized-bios-bad-on-dell-vostro/
Relevancy 47.3%

AMD Athlon with MB of DDR Ram Biostar M VIQ motherboard GB hard drive DVD-ROM DVD-RW Computer has been starting erratically for awhile Sometimes it will start other times it fails and says quot HARD DISK NOT FOUND quot I think the hard drive it finished With power on I do not feel that gyro effect you normally feel from spinning platters in a good drive So I tried a brand new GB hard drive After numerous reboots the BIOS finally recognized it I was then able to install WinXP When installation was complete I did a few Windows updates Now I m getting quot HARD DISK NOT FOUND quot message again Thinking the motherboard battery could be failing Hard by BIOS Solved: not recognized drive I tried a new one Made no Solved: Hard drive not recognized by BIOS difference I tried new IDE cables Made no difference I set BIOS settings all to default settings Made no difference Tried optimized settings Same thing I m running out of ideas Anyone have any idea what could be wrong PS Bootup each time is EXTREMELY slow nbsp

A:Solved: Hard drive not recognized by BIOS

DOH!

I'm an idiot. I removed the jumper from the new drive (not listed in jumper options) and it is seen every time by the BIOS.

Boots normal speed also...

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-hard-drive-not-recognized-by-bios.536035/
Relevancy 47.3%

Yesterday while watching movie on my PC it appeared as black on the screen and stopped working. After restarting the PC it was not responding as the BIOS was unable to recognize the hard disk. It creates an unusual sound while BIOS searches drives.

1. I tried by bootting the PC using another hard disk but this HD does not appear in the windows.
2. I also tried to boot using Ubuntu live CD but failed to find my HD on it.

As it is not recognized by BIOS, I cann't use data recovery software to recover the data. I'm badly in need of all data in it.

Please someone help me in this regard to recover the data.

Brand: SAMSUNG
Model: HD252HJ
Capacity : 250 GB
Interface : Serial ATA 3.0 Gbps
Buffer memory : 16MB

A:My Samsung Hard Disk is not being recognized by BIOS

Try the freezer trick. Place your hard drive in zip lock freezer bag to protect it from moisture and freeze it overnight (or a few hours at least). Quickly hook up the frozen hard drive and try to boot from it. If it works, be prepared to copy your important data as soon as possible before the hard drive warms up too much. This is not a permanent fix but it may work long enough to save your data.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/my-samsung-hard-disk-is-not-being-recognized-by-bios.137440/
Relevancy 47.3%

I have a Rosewill RC-215 PCI SATA card with an Asus SATA DVD/CD Rom drive hooked up to one of the SATA ports. When I boot up, the motherboard (Asus P4PE) bios doesn't recognize my DVD drive(Asus DRW-24B1ST) so I can't boot up from a repair CD/DVD disk. But once I'm in Win2000, the DVD drive (Asus DRW-24B1ST) is recognized and usable. And it shows up in My Computer, and Device Manager.

I need some advice so I can figure out how to be able to boot up from a DVD/CD when I need to.

A:DVD/CD ROM not recognized by bios, but works after Win2000 starts

You may have to spend a few bucks and get a PATA/IDE DVD drive. You have drivers for the SATA card loaded after 2000 boots, so that is why it works.

Have a look through your BIOS and see if there is any option that supports your SATA card. I remember this back on the A7V boards with the Promise ATA 100 controller vs the 33/66 that was 'included' with the motherboard.

I assume you have looked for that option in the BIOS. If you have, and it doesn't exist, I think you will have to pick up a non SATA drive.

Also, I think its pretty cool that someone is still running 2k.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-cd-rom-not-recognized-by-bios-but-works-after-win2000-starts.204023/
Relevancy 46.44%

I have the T110, I can create the recovery discs in Windows but when I restart the computer and press F12 it shows no CD/DVD drive in the BIOS.

So I cannot restore from or boot from the external CD/DVD drive.

Help!

A:Satellite T110 - USB powered CD/DVD drive not recognized in BIOS

Hey,

I don?t have the notebook in front of me but check the BIOS if you can find an option called ?USB legacy support?. If yes you have to enable this feature that your notebook can recognize the external drive.

Can you boot from an USB stick? I mean you can also create the recovery files on an USB stick so this would be also an option to restore factory settings.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?60672-Satellite-T110-USB-powered-CD-DVD-drive-not-recognized-in-BIOS
Relevancy 46.44%

Hello all After reading a lot of stuff and attempting fixes on my own on three computers I m looking for help My external recognized device External mgmt HDD BIOS nor in ... disk not HDD Spire circa will not show up in Explorer here s what I ve done so far opened disk mgmt to partition it not showing up in disk management opened device mgmt shows up disabled and re-enabled no luck uninstalled External HDD recognized in device mgmt not disk nor BIOS ... and reinstalled no luck updated driver quot latest driver updated quot changed ports changed computers older version of windows restarted computers on the third computer it shows as quot working properly quot but still does not show up in explorer So opened CMD prompt disk utility list volume not showing up in list volume as far as I can tell Does anyone have ideas I m not sure how I can fix any potential partition problems if it doesn t show up in disk management I m not sure if it s quot working properly quot why it won t show up in explorer I appreciate your help Elizabeth nbsp

A:External HDD recognized in device mgmt not disk nor BIOS ...

Part of it has likely failed, hard drives fail all the time and externals fail even more often.

First try another USB cable. If that doesn't work take the unit apart and remove the actual hard drive. You can install the drive into another enclosure to see if it's the enclosure has failed. You could also install it internally in a desktop PC and see if it works instead of another enclosure. Being that old it might be either a newer SATA interface or it could be the older PATA interface with pins; if PATA you'll need an older computer to connect it to as new computers don't have PATA connectors anymore. I wouldn't buy another enclosure for it if there is not important data on it that you must recover, being that old it's simply not worth it to just get the drive working.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/external-hdd-recognized-in-device-mgmt-not-disk-nor-bios.1163230/
Relevancy 46.44%

Hi every body, I am new to this forum. I have fair amount of experience with PCs, including building them. Now I have a new problem. I installed a new HDD, configured it as the Primary 'o' drive (Cable Select). No other drive. The single drive is detected by the BIOS. When I try to install Win XP, the setup loads the necessary files, but when I hit Enter to install OS, I get a message saying "No hard drive is found".

I have tried different hard drives changed the cables, tried it as Master, nothing works, same message. Would appreciate your help.

A:Hard drive is recognized by BIOS, but not byWin XP installatio

Normally this has to do with Windows not having the drivers for the controller. Usually the driver is on a floppy disk or on the CD that came with the motherboard and will need to be put on a floppy disk.
During the install you will be prompted to press F6 to install additional SCSI or RAID drivers. This is where the controller drivers will need to be installed.

Can you list your motherboard specs and we may be able to find you them.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/hard-drive-is-recognized-by-bios-but-not-bywin-xp-installatio-147111.html
Relevancy 46.44%

A friend of mine was no longer able to get into Windows XP on her PC and wanted to save messed has Swapping the now BIOS, drives secondary no recognized HD's up a lot of digital photos So I took her PC removed her HD and swapped it with my secondary HD My PC has a primary SATA drive w the OS and a secondary IDE drive for storage When I turned on my PC for some reason it booted off of her drive I had swapped in I wanted to get online to do some troubleshooting so I removed her HD and put mine back in That Swapping secondary HD's has messed up the BIOS, now no drives recognized is when the quot strike f to retry reboot strike f to enter setup quot error message starting occurring I have reset my BIOS and cleared NVRAM I believe I did this correctly because each time afterwards it would attempt the automatic IDE configuration Anyways the BIOS is not Swapping secondary HD's has messed up the BIOS, now no drives recognized recognizing ANY of my drives dvd drives the primary sata HD and the secondary IDE HD Any help would be much appreciated thank you nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/swapping-secondary-hds-has-messed-up-the-bios-now-no-drives-recognized.739328/
Relevancy 46.44%

I own a Toshiba R and recently replaced the original disk with a Crucial SSD one with a big performance improvement I've been using the old Hitachi drive in an external case through the eSATA port without any optical drive HDD recognized - second BIOS as Satellite R630 in problem but this setup requires both the combo eSata USB port and a second USB just for power so I purchased a mm caddy to put the disk on the DVD location Today I went ahead Physically all went good apart from the fact that I had to take off the back cover more than screws I took the opportunity to clean the fan but when I turned the computer on and accessed the BIOS the Hitachi disk is recognized as an optical drive You may see an image here After that I could enter Windows Disk Management recognizes it as a disk but can't initialize it After rebooting the computer I Satellite R630 - second HDD recognized as optical drive in BIOS can't enter Windows any more as it goes directly to recover mode Any help would be appreciated Is there any way to make the BIOS recognize the second drive as an hard disk Carlos Message was edited faulty link has been removed

A:Satellite R630 - second HDD recognized as optical drive in BIOS

First of all I would recommend you to check the boot device order.
Probably the ODD has been set first boot device and notebook tries to boot from the HDD connected to ODD controller.
If this will not work, remove the old Hitachi HDD, reset the BIOS to default and try to boot once again.

To be honest I?m not quite sure if the BIOS would support such configuration. I mean not all notebooks can be upgraded with an 2nd HDD and in many cases the BIOS would not support the HDD installed in the ODD bay? therefore this configuration may cause some problems.

https://forum.toshiba.eu/showthread.php?81727-Satellite-R630-second-HDD-recognized-as-optical-drive-in-BIOS
Relevancy 46.01%

I'm working on a friends Dell Inspiron 8000 which came with a 20GB Hitachi IDE hard drive which now sounds like loose coins when it runs. I installed a new Fujitsu 120GB PATA drive. I've been able to reload Windows and make it boot from CD using the Windows disk, but, I can't get the BIOS to recognize the drive and therefor boot from the new hard drive.

Are the new "PATA" drives not compatible with older machines that came with IDE drives?
Sig

Relevancy 46.01%

Recently I decided to upgrade my hard disk storage space so I bought a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus GB SATA hard disk drive Upon installing the recognized hard after SATA Drive installing in CD/DVD BIOS disk not drive I entered the Bios and went into quot Intergrated Peripherals quot section and set the BIOS to recognize P-ATA S-ATA drives When I reboot the new Maxtor drive shows up in Windows Explorer and functions normally Also in Windows Explorer my CD DVD drive appears However when CD/DVD Drive not recognized in BIOS after installing SATA hard disk I put a CD/DVD Drive not recognized in BIOS after installing SATA hard disk cd in the drive and click on the drive in Explorer I get the message to quot Insert a disc into drive F quot The drive will not read the disc When I went into Device Manager the CD DVD drive shows up and says that it is functioning properly Strange So I rebooted and reset the BIOS to the setup defaults ie P-ATA Drive Only and when the computer boots up now the CD DVD drive functions normally but the Maxtor drive is now not recognized I understandObviously the Maxtor drive is not recognized because the BIOS is set for P-ATA drive only but why when the BIOS is set for P-ATA S-ATA is the CD DVD drive not recognized My computer specs are as follows Processsor Intel Pentium C GHz pin FSB Motherboard MSI i G ATX Bios AMI Bios RAM DDR SDRAM GB MB x PC Video nVidia GeForce FX MB AGP Sound CREATIVE SoundBlaster Audigy ZS Platinum Pro Hard Disk GB Ultra ATA HDD rpm Hard Disk Maxtor DiamondMax Plus GB SATA OS Windows XP PRo nbsp

A:CD/DVD Drive not recognized in BIOS after installing SATA hard disk

No one going to take a stab at this one. Please, I need some help here. Any advice would be appreciated

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-dvd-drive-not-recognized-in-bios-after-installing-sata-hard-disk.20209/
Relevancy 46.01%

What AC Adapter can I use 130W 150W 240W or 330W ac adapter with this laptop?

I have:
90W ac adapter - this one is recognized as 90W
and new genuine 330W ac adapter - this one is recognized as 74W...

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19990994
Relevancy 46.01%

I haven t had these SSD s very long maybe a year I have a gb ssd as the master and a slower gb ssd as the slave Windows I left my pc idle for around minutes caused recognized harddrive master no the be Crash bios. to in has longer or so only to return and find that quot A disk read error occurred quot Upon restarting it said the same thing again I ve had this problem with past pc s xp first time for and usually running repair with Crash has caused the master harddrive to no longer be recognized in bios. the OS disk fixed it However this time even with the disc in it gave me the same message Going in the BIOS I noticed that the master SSD did not show up in the boot order but it still shows up as being connected There was an option to quot override quot the boot order for the master doing that I can get across the message and actually boot up the OS After Crash has caused the master harddrive to no longer be recognized in bios. having done so I ran chkdsk but it came up clean I m no computer expert and know just enough to try and keep everything working to Crash has caused the master harddrive to no longer be recognized in bios. the best of my knowledge but this has me a little confused If someone could help me set it back up to where I don t have to override my main harddrive on startup every time I want to get on the pc I would really appreciate it nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/crash-has-caused-the-master-harddrive-to-no-longer-be-recognized-in-bios.1094558/
Relevancy 46.01%

HP Pavilion zv5348rs (zv5000 series) had/has 60gb (original) hard drive in it. Running Windows XP SP-3 I want to change it out as there are bad sectors on it and it's making some strange noises

I tried replacing the HD with an HP (Seagate) 100 gb hard drive. Using the same Jumper Pin Settings as on the 60 gb

The hard drive is NOT recognized by the bios.

I can boot from cd rom, or USB but no way can I find a HD (other than the generic USB)

I put the 60gb back in and it is detected and will boot back up.

Any help appreciated.

Relevancy 46.01%

I have a compaq CQ TU laptop my previous harddrive crashed and i has an external GB hardrive lying around So I opened it up and took the Harddrive out and inserted into my laptop When I am trying to load windows into it I get the error Windows cannot be installed to this disk This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's BIOS menu The Hard disk has no data and i don't have Hard by by Windows7 recognized failed but disk New BIOS, install not a CD-Rom have made my USB bootable manually using DISKPART this method of installation has worked for me before I have a InsydeH O Setup Utility Inside the BIOS the options available to me are - Main - gt System Time - gt System Date - gt Diagonistic Log Security - gt Administrator Password lt clear gt - gt Power-On Password lt clear gt Diagonistics - gt Primary Hard Disk Self Test - gt Memory Test System Configuration - gt language lt New Hard disk recognized by Windows7 but not by BIOS, install failed English gt - gt Processor C states lt Enabled gt - gt Fan always on lt enabled gt - gt Boot Options- gt Exit No other options other than this are available to me in the bios Note - In the BIOS Reverting back to Defaults did not work I have already tried that Please could you help me repair my laptop

A:New Hard disk recognized by Windows7 but not by BIOS, install failed

8+ hrs and lots of viewers, but no answers...

giving it a bump here

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/248525-new-hard-disk-recognized-windows7-but-not-bios-install-failed.html
Relevancy 41.71%

I have two hard disks, one Seagate 120 GB one and another Maxtor d540x-4d
5400 rpm 40 GB UATA/100 drive. My problem is that the maxtor drive used to
work fine, but recently, it is recognized by BIOS and Device Manager in
Windows, but it is not shown by either the logical disk manager in disk
management or My computer. What is the problem? Any remedies? THanking you

A:Hard Disk recognized by bios, but not by My computer/Disk Manager

You need to partition and format a drive to see it as a drive letter in Windows.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/hard-disk-recognized-by-bios-but-not-by-my-computer-disk-manager.22019/
Relevancy 39.99%

My laptop has no problem before. Recently I try to install Windows XP. First attempt fail, so I change SATA at BIOS from AHCI to Compatible, success. However the partition that I want to install*Windows XP to is not available.*

So just to test I choose my Windows 7 partition. Since it want to format the partition, I cancel the installation. After restarting windows, it stuck at bios. I restart again and change SAT to AHCI. Restart, still stuck at bios. This time I cannot enter BIOS, recovery or change boot media. Assuming the boot sector has corrupt, will reseating the cmos battery will fix this *problem. Please help. Thanks in advance.*

A:Windows 7 Stuck At BIOS Cannot Enter BIOS or Change Boot Media

Somehow with guidance from Lenovo Community, I solved the problem.

For future reference:
1. Take out HDD, battery, plug off ac power.
2. Restart, change SATA Controller in BIOS to compatible, restart.
3. Check whether the SATA Controller is Compatible or AHCI. If Compatible, force shutdown laptop.
4. Put back HDD, boot with Windows 7 Recovery CD or Installation Disc.
5. Choose Autostartup Repair.
6. Restart.

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/296679-windows-7-stuck-bios-cannot-enter-bios-change-boot-media.html
Relevancy 39.99%

Good evening!
A week ago I reinstalled Windows 7 in EFI mode on my laptop, and now I've got this problem: whenever I turn on my computer after a shutdown, the BIOS says "System Resuming" instead of "Press F2 to enter settings". This makes impossible for me to access BIOS settings. Previously, my BIOS used to say "System Resuming" only after a hibernation. The weird fact is that - as far as I remember - this thing started happening only after a few days.
Can you help me?
Thanks in advance :-)

A:I can't access BIOS settings because BIOS assumes Windows is resuming

Try doing a shutdown command from a CMD window, or Start button / Run
The command is shutdown /s

See if entering the command manually makes a difference in how it starts up

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/343868-i-cant-access-bios-settings-because-bios-assumes-windows-resuming.html
Relevancy 39.56%

I just rebuilt an old system using Windows 7 Home Premium after using WinXP pro for many years. The primary hard drive is WDC 150 Mg and Win7 is installed and updated to current with SP1. I dropped a second WDC hard drive in, formatted and was going to use it for a 2nd backup unit. Both of these are sata. Both hard drives are recognized by Disk Management but when I select Computer on the start menu ONLY the primary 150 Mg drive is recognized. If I plug in an external drive, both Computer and Disk Management recognizes the external drive. How do I have Win7 recognize my backup WDC drive so I can use it.

Thank you

A:hard drive NOT recognized in computer but IS recognized in disk mgmnt.

Quote: Originally Posted by PERSIL

I just rebuilt an old system using Windows 7 Home Premium after using WinXP pro for many years. The primary hard drive is WDC 150 Mg and Win7 is installed and updated to current with SP1. I dropped a second WDC hard drive in, formatted and was going to use it for a 2nd backup unit. Both of these are sata. Both hard drives are recognized by Disk Management but when I select Computer on the start menu ONLY the primary 150 Mg drive is recognized. If I plug in an external drive, both Computer and Disk Management recognizes the external drive. How do I have Win7 recognize my backup WDC drive so I can use it.

Thank you

Had similarities on my pc.

Goto BIOS, there you have 4 options.

Primary Master
Secondary Master

Primary Slave
Secondary Slave

Set it as follows:

Primary Master -----> Main Boot HDD
Secondary Master -----> EMPTY

Primary Slave -----> CD/DVD RAM
Secondary Slave -----> Secondary backup HDD
Hpe it helps!

Gala

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/310859-hard-drive-not-recognized-computer-but-recognized-disk-mgmnt.html
Relevancy 39.13%

Hello I have a PC which is having a lot of trouble recognizing a USB data acquisition device USB Device Recognized shut-down on method Recognized based / Not Starting from a situation where the PC does recognize the device here is the basic pattern PC shows device in Device Manager under quot Data Acquisition Devices quot If the PC is power-cycled via the power plug itself the device is no longer recognized under Device Manager quot Unknown Device quot If the PC is power-cycled via Start Menu -- gt Turn Off same results as above no longer recognized If the PC is USB Device Recognized / Not Recognized based on shut-down method power-cycled USB Device Recognized / Not Recognized based on shut-down method via Start Menu -- gt Restart no problems device recognized When the device is not recognized unplugging and replugging the USB cable makes no difference to the situation In order to correct the issue I disable and then enable via Device Manager which also involves a restart This pattern is extremely repeatable I am working with WinXP SP Pentium GHz MB RAM This PC was returned from a customer site - the PC and USB device are used in a machine my company manufactures Apparently this issue just started happening one day We want not only to correct the issue but in fact to understand the root cause and ensure it will not happen again in the future Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - thanks nbsp

A:USB Device Recognized / Not Recognized based on shut-down method

You could try reinstalling the usb drivers.
JohnWill has fix that is worth a try

Johnwill's solution

Create a file with NOTEPAD containing the following lines and save it as FIX.REG
-------------------------- Use text after this line --------------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Environment]

"DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES"="1"
-------------------------- Use text before this line --------------------------------

Double click on FIX.REG and say yes to the Merge Into Registry question.

Unplug ALL USB devices.
Open Device Manager.
View, Show Hidden Devices.
Uninstall all devices under USB Controllers.
Uninstall all devices under Disk Drives that you know are not present.
Uninstall all devices under Storage Volumes. Say no to any reboot prompts until you are finished. Also, if a Storage Volume doesn't uninstall, ignore it and move to the next one.
If you have a yellow ? with unknown devices, uninstall all of the entries there as well.

When this is done, reboot TWICE.

Reconnect the USB devices and see if they're recognized properly.

NOTE: If you have a USB keyboard and/or mouse, you'll have to modify the instructions and leave enough parts for those to function. I don't have one yet, so I haven't had time to modify the instructions.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/usb-device-recognized-not-recognized-based-on-shut-down-method.975846/
Relevancy 38.7%

Hey guys first post here I have Bios or a through without the Bios Flashing Windows, previous a computer here that has a quot Flashing a Bios without Windows, or through the previous Bios BIOS Rom Checksum Error quot upon boot up The computer doesn t post and I can t get in the bios It does nothing but give me a black screen with that error and then the following line occasionally says Detecting IDE Atapi Device I have read around and think I need a new bios since the old one got cleared or corrupted in a CMOS Clr My question is how do I flash a new bios without windows or through the old bios I have tried using drdflash to make a boot disk with AWDFlash and my new bios version on it I have an external floppy plugged in through USB that didn t seem to do anything I also tried an old floppy I had lying around that I plugged into the IDE that didn t seem to do anything Did I do the boot disk wrong Is that not my problem Am I going about it completely wrong It s an Asus Striker motherboard Q Chip running Windows if any of that helps Thanks guys I look forward to your replies nbsp

A:Flashing a Bios without Windows, or through the previous Bios

read:http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic75555.html

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/flashing-a-bios-without-windows-or-through-the-previous-bios.107274/