Windows Support Forum

3tb drive reading as 746.39gb on windows 7 pro

Q: 3tb drive reading as 746.39gb on windows 7 pro

I just got a 3tb drive and put it into this machine. But its only showing up as 746.39gb. The machine is running windows 7 pro, but it was upgraded from xp. I do not need it to be a bootable or system drive. I just need it more or less for storage as there will be a lot of video files recorded and saved on the drive.

Is there a way to make the system read the whole drive without reinstalling the operating system. Or id be fine with splitting the drive into a 2 tb and 1 tb or three 1tb drives if that's easier to do. But once again without reinstalling the operating system.

Or is it easier to take it back and just get a 2tb or few 1tb drives?

Relevancy 100%
Preferred Solution: 3tb drive reading as 746.39gb on windows 7 pro

I recommend downloading and running Reimage. It's a computer repair tool that has been proven to identify and fix many Windows problems with a high level of success.

I've used it in the past to identify and fix everything from blue screens (BSOD's), ActiveX errors, corrupt files and processes, dll/exe/sys errors, recover lost memory, Windows update problems, defragging, malware removal etc.

You can download it direct from this link http://downloadreimage.com/directdownload.php. (This link will automatically start a download of Reimage that you can save to your computer.)

A: 3tb drive reading as 746.39gb on windows 7 pro

Launch Disk Management, format the partitions there.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/3tb-drive-reading-as-746-39gb-on-windows-7-pro.194063/
Relevancy 54.18%

Hello all My drive was running perfectly until i tried to burn a data-dvd disc the other day It has done it before just fine and on the same day i burned a music cd The drive is PLDS DVD -RW DH- A S ATA DEVICE It all started when i tried to backup one of my iso files by copying it anything 7 Windows on drive reading DVD at all not to a memorex x GB DVD R with Nero It DVD drive not reading anything at all on Windows 7 stopped halfway with some generic error that I'm sorry that i cannot remember Being a DVD drive not reading anything at all on Windows 7 complete novice i uninstalled Nero and blamed the program for wasting of my discs I tried roxio next-Once again it froze halfway through the copy and gave me some error I tried ImgBurn-Halfway samething MagicISOMaker-Made it Burning a disk that DVD drive not reading anything at all on Windows 7 doesn't work tested in another PC After going through roughly discs i decided to visit the dell support page to see if they had any firmware updates They did Windows DOS based firmware flash update for PLDS DH- AAS DVDRW Release Date Version A JD So now my drive has the latest firmware update for it i should be in good hands or not After that i tried maybe more failed burns and then my drive just refused to read anything at all Blank dvds CDs with data on them it would show up as a blank Cd I tried the Microsoft Fix it tool about a thousand times hoping that it would work one day i'm actually running it right now how sad When it gets to this part whatever DVD or CD in the drive at the moment is read and autorun pops up i once tried to burn it that way failed The MR Fix it will exit and say no problem was found Tried CDgone also I deleted the uppers filters lowers filters i even got angry and deleted them ALL and had to do a system restore to get my PC back to working again I am sorry if a solution for this is somewhere on the forums but i just could not find it EVERY SINGLE link on Google is now purple and my eyes hurt Help would be appreciated Thank you in advance PC Specs programs that i think would be of help Windows - bit GB Ram PLDS DVD -RW DH- A S ATA DEVICE TB WD Caviar Green HDD MagicISO Disk ImgBurn Roxio

A:DVD drive not reading anything at all on Windows 7

the only time i have had an issue with my dvd drive is when i tried nero and the drive wasn't recognized after that.
uninstall nero run ms fix and try burning a disc

it worked for me, not sure about your issue, it does sound rather complex .
if it continues to fail try and get a screenshot of the error message and post it here
perhaps we can get to the bottom of it for you.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/210866-dvd-drive-not-reading-anything-all-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 53.75%

Need information on how to get laptop to read CD/DVD drive again. I go into Device Manager and it has the yellow exclamation mark. I uninstalled the Kodak Easy Share software that the user had installed, restarted, and tried to let computer find driver, but it isn't working. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/laptop-not-reading-cd-dvd-drive-windows-7.973492/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi,
I have 3 usb ports in my laptop. Till last week, I was able to access pen drives using any of the port. Today, when I insert a pen drive in any port, first, my anti-virus (Kaspersky) asks for scan or skip scan, and simultaneously system shows a window stating "There was a problem installing this hardware USB Mass Storage Device.."
I click finish and this repeats until I remove the pen drive from the port.
I tested whether my port is working fine and attached a mouse, it works fine.

I have windows XP with all service pack updates installed.

Please help in resolving this.

A:Issues with reading a pen drive in Windows XP

Uninstall "USB Mass Storage Device" from the device manager, then do "Scan for new Hardware" from the action menu. This should re-install the correct drivers. NO 3rd party drivers needed, they come with windows

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/issues-with-reading-a-pen-drive-in-windows-xp.152275/
Relevancy 53.75%

Hi guys, I installed the first RC of windows 7 today and all seemed fine until now. My DVD drive can't seem to read any discs. When I click My Computer it shows the right icon and name/size, but if I try to click through it crashes and Windows becomes unresponsive. Eventually it will show me a list of files on the disc but if I click any of them it crashes again, then gives me an error saying "Target drive not found correctly." The drive is a Sony Optiarc AD7201S, which works fine (mostly) in XP. I tried downloading a firmware update, but when I run the executable it freezes and can't find any drives. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this?

A:DVD+RW Drive not reading discs in Windows 7

Remember it still isn't a retail release, so there are still going to be problems.

I would suggest deleting the drive in device manager, and perhaps checking if there are any updated drivers for the sata controller/motherboard chipset.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-rw-drive-not-reading-discs-in-windows-7.127265/
Relevancy 53.32%

I own a macbook and I use BootCamp to run windows xp on a partition. Recently my windows partition has stopped reading my disk drive and doesn't even seem to know that it exists. (It doesn't show up in menus.)

I have very limited experience with computers and don't really have any idea what could be wrong. Any suggestions as to what's wrong/how i can fix it would be appreciated.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-xp-partition-not-reading-disk-drive.910365/
Relevancy 53.32%

has anyone encountered problems with windows 7 reading a thumb drive and is there a solution to this problem

A:Problem with Windows 7 reading thumb drive

You'll get better answers from others if you could elaborate your problem. What error message are you getting? Are you encounter the same problem w/ other flash drives?

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/problem-with-windows-7-reading-thumb-drive.179137/
Relevancy 52.46%

Hi and thanks for your help,
I've tried various things, googling things, I am a beginner in computer tech literacy. My windows 10 is not playing or reading my F drive cd's and dvd's. I've read you have to BUY an app to play dvds, but its not reading my cds either in WMP, or VLC player. My drive manager says my drive is fine.

http://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/50742-windows-10-insert-disc-into-drive-f-not-reading-working-cd-dvd.html
Relevancy 52.46%

How do I access the file on an external USB hard-drive recorded with a, now defunct, Humax HD Fox T2 set-top box?

Please note this is a HD Fox T2 not a HDR Fox T2.

A:Reading a non-Windows (Linux?) hard-drive with Windows 8.1

I don't own the box but most of those are using either EXT2 or EXT3 format and this is what I use with my DLINK-323 NAS to copy/transfer/delete/format etc... it is much faster than going thru the router. If this is true then download:
Download Ext2 File System Driver for Windows from SourceForge.net
With the HD connected to your PC. Install the software then run it. You'll see a screens as shown below, Note that Drive L is in Ext3 format (initially no letter assigned) containing Linux Mint. Double click on it, you'll get the next screen that allows you to assign a Letter then click Apply. You can now open as a Windows Drive in File Explorer, use drag and drop, format/copy/delete files as you usually do with Windows Drive.

Hope this helps !!!

http://www.eightforums.com/general-support/66596-reading-non-windows-linux-hard-drive-windows-8-1-a.html
Relevancy 52.03%

I have had an HP Artist Edition Laptop (Pavillion Dv2000) With Vista home premium since November 2008. It came with a 250 gb hard drive, and i started off with 226 gb approx. I have about 10 gigabytes of music and videos and pictures. I have about maybe 15 gigs of programs and other things here and there. Right now, when I go to my computer it says I have 152 gb! I lose about 2 gigs randomly each week. Is there another program that can tell me accurately how much space I still have?

Relevancy 52.03%

Hi all Ive had this problem before and had to amend it with factory restore and im not doing it this time Anyway The Hard Drive seems to be reading all over the place when i start windows as it is slow and once Windows has started and Bit Defender has loaded up and my network connection the Hard-Drive light flashes intermittentley for about seconds after its Ready-to-Go the light stays on for half a second and off for half a second repeatedly Hard be Windows same drive slow places to / time 2x reading at seems for a minute and sometimes after Ive accessed the drive used some programs Another thing that gives the game away is that when it is actually starting up then XP welcome sound breaks up as though the drive is trying to access other parts of itself whilst playing back the sound AND Windows slow / Hard drive seems to be reading 2x places at same time the mouse pointer keeps sticking I have tried Checking drive with SpySweeper ive erased all tracks with tracks eraser pro and used Diskeeper v to dafregment even though it Windows slow / Hard drive seems to be reading 2x places at same time says that its ok and when i did it Windows slow / Hard drive seems to be reading 2x places at same time took hours it used to take mins cos drive was always clean I used the FAAST defrag on it also and it took hours and made no difference I tried system restore in XP but the points I tried they all failed and i noticed when Diskeeper was defragmenting most of the stuff it was moving seemed to be system restore items in the System Volume Information restore folder What I had been upto at the time of this happening was i was downloading Live Aid for my girlfriend which took days during which time i had been using the laptop on internet burning films just normal use really and after the download finished Gb this happened ive now deleted ALL large files on the laptop and it only has Apps on it then Defrag d but still the same I use Bit Defender v Internet Security AND SpySweeper but never both at the same time never had to I have noticed since defrag last night and or using Spysweeper to try and locate Malware that the Spyware module on Bit Defender has become completley disabled greyed out and cant be turned on The virus firewall is ok though PLEASE PLEASE HELP Iam Windows savvy and its usually me thats fixing PCs but this one has got me stumped MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE nbsp

A:Windows slow / Hard drive seems to be reading 2x places at same time

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/windows-slow-hard-drive-seems-to-be-reading-2x-places-at-same-time.501356/
Relevancy 52.03%

I have a WD5000D032-000 pocket 500 Gig. It worked on my vista 32 bit home. I updated to windows 7 home premium 64 bit edition and now my computer can't read it. It is displayed under Device manager just not My Computer

A:The cleanly installed windows 7 is not reading my external hard drive

Does it have a drive letter? Please provide a screenshot from Disk Management.

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/190771-cleanly-installed-windows-7-not-reading-my-external-hard-drive.html
Relevancy 52.03%

So I have a separate hard drive for Windows and Ubuntu The TB Windows My second boot. partition hard reading and drive isn't can't correctly drive I was running on failed bad sectors and so I sent it back to Seagate since it was still under warranty The new drive arrived I installed it and put Win Ultimate on it and started installing programs I had installed before After getting it finally updated you know how it goes on a fresh install first updates then another few dozen and more and more Takes forever to get all caught up I had also installed Fallout New Vegas through steam which was the last program installed on my last hard drive before it failed Like on the last drive it wouldn't run the game After My Windows hard drive second partition isn't reading correctly and can't boot. getting in contact with the games customer support and following all the ideas they had on how to My Windows hard drive second partition isn't reading correctly and can't boot. get it going and having no result I found something online and it worked I played a couple hours as things installed and updated Restart after restart yada yada yada Suddenly while the language packs were updating the computer crashed It started out by freezing then I saw a blue screen but not long enough to get any info out of it and then it restarted Upon starting up it flashed some sort of warning I also couldn't read in time and appeared to be fine Then later on it did it again first freezing then blue screen then restart This time however it wouldn't boot It said it was having an I O error I reboted into my Ubuntu drive and attempted to fix the drive from there Every try failed to fix it Boot-Repair gparted output here GParted --enable-libparted-dmraid Libparted Check and repair file - Pastebin com everything As you can see from that pastebin thing I need to run a chdsk The problem is where do I enter it In the Ubuntu Terminal Use the Ubuntu live disk The boot repair disc The windows command line via the repair disc I just don't know what's going on and I'd like to get back to using my computer the way I want to Can you help me please I'm just so lost without my steam library P Seriously though this is not good The oddest thing is that Windows doesn't seem to be able to find the drive but Ubuntu can see it auto mount it and copy files just fine

A:My Windows hard drive second partition isn't reading correctly and can't boot.

When you send a drive back for warranty, the manufacturer sends you a Refurbished drive in return, not a new one. Some times the Refurb drive is DOA out of the box, sometimes it only last a little while.
Boot off of the Windows DVD. Choose Repair Your Computer. immediately press Shift+F10 to by pass the repair on go to the RE (recovery console) Here, choose Command Prompt. Type chkdsk /R and press enter. Check Disk will go through 5 stages. You also can download the ISO image for Seatools in my signature. Burn the image to CD using IMGBurn also in my signature. Boot off of the newly created CD and run the Short and Long tests on the HDD. If either test fails the drive will need to be replaced.

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f217/my-windows-hard-drive-second-partition-isnt-reading-correctly-and-cant-boot-889834.html
Relevancy 51.6%

I have a WD5000D032-000 pocket 500 Gig. It worked on my vista 32 bit home. I updated to windows 7 home premium 64 bit edition and now my computer can't read it. It is displayed under Device manager just not My Computer

A:Solved: The cleanly installed windows 7 is not reading my external hard drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-the-cleanly-installed-windows-7-is-not-reading-my-external-hard-drive.1021399/
Relevancy 47.73%

Hi I am using a windows xp sp and a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-H N cd dvd driveThe problem is my cd drive installation ? and contents xp of drive reading format drive c cd does not disk just is sometimes detecting the contents of a cd and sometimes not I am not even able to find the cd drive not reading contents of disk and does xp installation just format c drive ? pattern because the same cd when i insert it into the drive at times it shows the content and at times not I want to format only my C drive using the windows xp cd But the problem is when i am trying to boot from the cd the os is not able read from cd I checked the bios boot priority configuration and it is set to cd dvd first what is the other way of format my c drive other than by booting from cd i copied all the contents of the quot windows xp installation disk quot onto my usb flash drive and wanted to setup windows xp when i double clicked on quot setup exe quot i was able to go to the blue screen which had options of quot collecting information dynamic update preparing installation installing windows finalizing installation quot the problem is it has not asked me whether to just format c or format c d e drives what will happen if i go ahead and format will i lose all my data in d e f drives also or by default it just formats c drive even if it does not ask us I am actually facing all these problems bcos my pc is not booting from my cd Please help me with answers thank you

A:cd drive not reading contents of disk and does xp installation just format c drive ?

Hi,

When this happens can you eject the cd? When it doesn't read it does it still sound like it is being read in the cd drive?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/418371/cd-drive-not-reading-contents-of-disk-and-does-xp-installation-just-format-c-drive/
Relevancy 47.3%

Haven t been here in a while so I tried searching for solutions to this problem and couldn t quite find any that matched my situation Drive DVD! CD DVD CD Reading not but Working! Drive R/RW Suddenly Stopped A few results came close but DVD Drive Reading CD but not DVD! CD R/RW Drive Suddenly Stopped Working! no cigar Anyway here s my problem My DVD drive just won t read DVDs It reads CDs just fine but just won t recognize DVDs I ve had this drive for a long time now and haven t really had a reason to try a DVD-ROM until recently since Elder Scrolls Oblivion was released All I can really add is that it WAS an e-machines desktop until I replaced the CPU mobo vid card and RAM long time ago I ve filled in my specs where they should be filled in so feel free to check em if you need to My second problem is that my CD R RW drive suddenly stopped working after my sister burnt a CD I was making one for her boyfriend immediately after and it just refused to work from there on Any help would be GREATLY appreciated nbsp

A:DVD Drive Reading CD but not DVD! CD R/RW Drive Suddenly Stopped Working!

lets troubleshoot:

- Update firmwares/drivers/Winupdates
- check teh media for physical damages (scratches etc)
- try burning with a CD-RW to test its not a bad CD batch you got
- disable all third party burning software (nero, roxio etc) and try test with WinXP's cd burning software
- open up the pc and check cables and such connected properly, reseat if needed
- try on another pc
- try this thread : http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?p=262352
- how long have you had it in service? it may have well died out...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-drive-reading-cd-but-not-dvd-cd-r-rw-drive-suddenly-stopped-working.46880/
Relevancy 47.3%

hi,
i jest replaced a dead dvd rom with a ASUS BW-12B1ST Blu-Ray Writer 12X BD-R 16X DVD+R SATA
and the bios see it, windows 7 see's it and installs the driver but every time i try to access the drive the explorer will go not responding and when i use task manager to shutdown the system hangs on logging off and will sit there forever.

what is odd is if i have a disk in and boot the computer it will see the disk and show and work perfectly with that disk until i remove the disk and insert a new disk (this only happens with audio c.d's, dvd's data disks works perfect and blue rays are untested.

thoughts?

A:blue ray disk drive reading disk issues with windows 7

What a coincidence -- I have exactly the same BlueRay drive as you. However, my motherboard has two sets of SATA connectors and I have the BlueRay connected to the one that is NOT set as AHCI. I found when I had it connected to one of the AHCI connectors, I could not boot using it and had problems using it otherwise.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/317165-blue-ray-disk-drive-reading-disk-issues-windows-7-a.html
Relevancy 46.44%

I have installed a cd and a dvd rom drives and first the puter didnt recognize them. I removed the upper/lower filters and then i had my d: drive back in my computer. But when i went to use it i notice that when i clicked on the d; drive for the cd rom it is reading something from my hard drive. So i figure the puter is still not recognizing that i have the cd/dvd rom drives installed...
Have i confused you lol..anyways any ideas...

Relevancy 46.44%

On start-up I get a "Data error reading drive c"Is the hard drive bad?

A:Data Error Reading Drive C, Bad Drive?

Beach, it will probably be best if you reply back to your same thread instead of opening a new one for the same problem....this will probably be closed by one of the mods...

Original thread is here:

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?threadid=47058

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/data-error-reading-drive-c-bad-drive.47080/
Relevancy 45.15%

I recently bought a HP Pavillion Special Edition PC, everything works perfect except for my CD/DVD drive. If you try to put a disk in, it closes extremely quick...probably less than 3 seconds. Also, if you can get a disk in, it won't read it all. I've tried everything..games, DVDs, and CDs.

It's a Lightscribe DVD SuperMulti Drive/ CD-Burner. If you can help me, please reply. If you need to know any more info please ask me.

A:DVD/CD Drive not reading anything

Have someone replace the DVD drive for you...

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-cd-drive-not-reading-anything.125790/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi,

I have an IBM R52 notebook since last 3 years.
Since last few days the CD drive is not reading a few CDs.
On checking the properties of the drive with CD inserted :
it shows Free space 0 bytes
Used space 0 bytes

When I reinstalled the Windows XP Prof. it detected and was able to run the 2 CDs which earlier it was not detecting but still is very choosy in selecting which CD/DVD to read.

Please help!!!
Is it a hardware problem or due to some virus???

Regards

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-drive-not-reading-few-cds.685273/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi. I have a question regarding my C:/ or D:/ drive. Whenever I put a cd into my computer, the computer stopped reading it. Usually it reads it automatically and I have a pop up come up and tell me which action I want to take. But now it won't read anything. I went into My Computer, and it says that there isn't anything in the drive, when the cd is.

Can you help me?
Thanks.

A:C:/ or D:/ drive not reading cd's

Please don't post duplicate threads on the same issue, continue here: http://forums.techguy.org/dos-pda-other/572644-windows-xp-c-d-drive.html

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/c-or-d-drive-not-reading-cds.572647/
Relevancy 45.15%

my CD drive is not reading disks. the only time it will is when i startup, and put a disc in about 10seconds after startup. anytime after 5minutes, my computer wont recognize that there is a disc in the drive. i went to the microsoft website and did the stupid fixit thing and it did nothing... so if you can help me, you would be a lifesaver. (trying to install a 2disc game)

Relevancy 45.15%

Yeah uhh I was just re-installing Modern Warfare and when I put in the last disc it the DVD span a little then stopped It said there there weren t any discs Then I put in the first one and the same thing happened My DVD drive can t read anything for some reason now Heres a HijackThis log - Code Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v Scan saved at AM on Platform Windows Vista SP WinNT MSIE Internet Explorer v Boot mode anything. reading DVD not Drive Normal Running processes C DVD Drive not reading anything. Windows system taskeng exe C Windows system Dwm exe C Windows Explorer EXE C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtHDVCpl exe C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Internet Security avp exe C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe C Program Files NVIDIA Corporation nTune nTuneCmd exe C Program Files DivX DivX Update DivXUpdate exe C Program Files Windows Live Messenger msnmsgr exe C Program Files Anti-Vibrate Oscar Editor OscarEditor exe C Program Files Windows Live Contacts wlcomm exe C Program Files SpeedFan speedfan exe C Users Nahiyan AppData Local Temp Autorun exe C Windows system msiexec exe C Windows system MsiExec exe C Program Files Mozilla Firefox firefox exe C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Internet Security klwtblfs exe C Windows explorer exe C Program Files Trend Micro HijackThis HijackThis exe R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Page URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Default Search URL http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Search Page http go microsoft com fwlink LinkId R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Main Start Page about blank R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search SearchAssistant R - HKLM Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Search CustomizeSearch R - HKCU Software Microsoft Internet Explorer Toolbar LinksFolderName R - URLSearchHook no name - a -e b- - d -e e ab d - no file O - Hosts localhost O - BHO amp Yahoo Toolbar Helper - D -C F - efb- B - ECA - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - BHO AcroIEHelperStub - DF C-E AD- -A -FA C EBDC - C Program Files Common Files Adobe Acrobat ActiveX AcroIEHelperShim dll O - BHO BitComet ClickCapture - F E - A- B A-BCAF- B BFDFEA - C Program Files BitComet tools BitCometBHO dll O - BHO IEVkbdBHO - AB -E D - F -A A - FA CCA C - C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Internet Security ievkbd dll O - BHO no name - C C A-E - b - D - CECB - no file O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - BB-D F - C-B EB-D DAF D D - C Program Files Java jre bin ssv dll O - BHO Windows Live Sign-in Helper - D - C - ABF- ECC- C - C Program Files Common Files Microsoft Shared Windows Live WindowsLiveLogin dll O - BHO Java tm Plug-In SSV Helper - DBC -A - b-BC - C C C A - C Program Files Java jre bin jp ssv dll O - BHO link filter bho - E CF -D - A- F - F A F - C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Internet Security klwtbbho dll O - BHO SingleInstance Class - FDAD DA - A - FD - C - F AC - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn YTSingleInstance dll O - Toolbar Yahoo Toolbar - EF BD -C FB- D - F- D F - C Program Files Yahoo Companion Installs cpn yt dll O - HKLM Run Windows Defender ProgramFiles Windows Defender MSASCui exe -hide O - HKLM Run RtHDVCpl C Program Files Realtek Audio HDA RtHDVCpl exe -s O - HKLM Run AVP quot C Program Files Kaspersky Lab Kaspersky Internet Security avp exe quot O - HKLM Run SunJavaUpdateSched quot C Program Files Common Files Java Java Update jusched exe quot O - HKLM Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher quot C Program Files Adobe Reader Reader Reader sl exe quot O - HKLM Run Adobe ARM quot C Program Files Common Files Adobe ARM AdobeARM exe quot O - HKLM Run DivXUpdate quot C Program Files DivX DivX Updat... Read more

Relevancy 45.15%

I have a Presario 2100 (yeah I know, from the Stone Age). My dvd drive won't read anything, and I have tried updating the driver, restarting a few times, restarting with the dvd in and out, and my device manager says everything is fine with it! I have no idea what to do next, and I have recently reformatted so I know there is no virus or anything crazy! If any one has any ideas, feel free to voice them, or email them! Thanks in advance!

A:Dvd/cd Drive Not Reading Anything

Have you tried a different DVD or CD Rom in it?

It sounds like the DVD may have joined all those that have passed on?

A Brand New DVD Burner is quite inexpensive?

JMHO.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/173031/dvdcd-drive-not-reading-anything/
Relevancy 45.15%

Whenever I put a disk in and try to open a file, it says, "please insert a disk into drive D:/"

Thanks.

Relevancy 45.15%

My CD Drive can read any previously used CD, music or material. But I recently purchased Photoshop Elements 8 and when inserted drive says insert CD in drive A. I tried this on another Blank CD to copy some pics. It did the same thing. I was able to burn pics through picassa program.
Any ideas. Thanks.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-drive-not-reading-new-cd.882889/
Relevancy 45.15%

Okay The dvd drive in my computer is not reading dvd s Only CD s When I open up the quot my computer quot Dvd s DVD's drive DVD not reading are read as CD s I updated the firmware and the computer recognized it as a dvd until I tried to use nero and then my computer went back to reading it as CD Im thinking its a software issue since the computer did read it as a dvd when the firmware was updated Here are the specs for the computer Operating System MS Windows XP Professional -bit SP CPU Intel Core Quad Q GHz C Kentsfield DVD drive not reading DVD's nm Technology RAM GB Single-Channel DDR MHz - - - Motherboard ASUSTeK Computer INC P N-D Socket Graphics ASUS VW T x MB GeForce GT EVGA C Hard Drives GB Western Digital WDC WD EADS- R B SCSI Disk Device IDE C GB Western Digital WDC WD YD- NVB SCSI Disk Device IDE C Optical Drives TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S F SCSI CdRom Device DVD drive not reading DVD's Thank you very much in advance for this nbsp

A:DVD drive not reading DVD's

I hope this helps you.... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/321641

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-drive-not-reading-dvds.914465/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hello everyone I am having problems with my CD Rom drive and I hope you ll can help me Ok I had reformatted my computer because my computer was having problems After I got everything working I need to install my CDRW drive software I have two drives my cds Rom CD not reading drive is So when I installed the software I put the cd in the cd rom drive and the CD Rom drive is not reading my cds software was installed The day after I went to use my cd rom drive and it s not able to read the cd My cdrw drive is fine but my cd drive is not working The door opens and the light blinks but that s all it do I tried scanning the drive to see what s the problem and I received a message stating that my drive was locked or something like that How do I unlock it and get it working back to normal Should I reformat my computer again Someone told me the first thing I should do before reformatting the computer is buy a cleaning kit for my CD ROM drive and if that doesn t work I should reformat my computer What do you think about that Thanks Wes nbsp

A:CD Rom drive is not reading my cds

I havent heard of a cleaning kit but ill try to help ya. how old is it i recently had a 40x LG cd reader im guessing from age because i got in 1998. then i got a liteon dvd burner 2 saturday's ago. it was mad 16x worked like a charm...for tthree days so they replaced to the top of the range LG today. there its kind of uncertain with cd drives.

yeah so age is my first thought.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-rom-drive-is-not-reading-my-cds.294125/
Relevancy 45.15%

When I go to My Computer, it doesn't show my rewritable/recordable drive (the second drive from the top) that I should be able to click on. What has happened, and what do I do? Thanks.

Relevancy 45.15%

I have or XP GTA:SA rom ME w/Win reading dvd Win drive not an Hitachi dvd rom drive and recently recieved GTA SA dvd rom edition for my pc I have Win XP w SP currently and was running Win Me before My PC meets all the requirements for this game And the problem I experienced with both OS's and my dvd rom drive was that dvd rom drive not reading GTA:SA w/Win XP or Win ME sometimes it would read the cd and most of the time it wouldn't The few times it does read the cd then it errors out during installation I've only had it installed and played it once and then I uninstalled it cause I was ready to play yet I talked to the games tech support and they said update the firmware for my dvd rom drive and my gateway tech support said w XP it will make sure I have the latest firmware and drivers So for the most part when I put the cd in it will say there is no cd in drive or error out during the install I have copies of the game and both do this Anyone heard of this

A:dvd rom drive not reading GTA:SA w/Win XP or Win ME

xp will make sure you have xp's latest drivers but you should check out hitachi's website for their latest drivers and firmware

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dvd-rom-drive-not-reading-gta-sa-w-win-xp-or-win-me-79310.html
Relevancy 45.15%

OK, my CD/DVD Rom Drive won't read some CDs but reads others fine. I have checked the CD and it works perfectly fine on other computers. I have cleaned it with a CD Laser Lens Cleaner. I can not figure out why it won't read this CD.

The CD it won't read is "Nancy Drew: The Haunted Carousel" It read the previous game CD just fine (which was Nancy Drew: Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake). Can anyone help me figure out why it will not read this CD? Any advice on how to fix the problem would be much appreciated!

Thanks

A:CD/DVD-ROM drive not reading some CDs

Sometimes optical drive just start failing in weird ways... Replace it. They are not expensive and they are easy to replace, even in laptops

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-dvd-rom-drive-not-reading-some-cds.180097/
Relevancy 45.15%

ok so when i put a CD into my computer it does nothing. i tryed useing
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=314060 but when it asked me to put in a cd to burn or play it says that my computer does not suport the format but i know for a fact that its the right format

A:my CD drive is not reading anything

Is the CD-ROM light coming on?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/my-cd-drive-is-not-reading-anything.953802/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi

the drive is opening and closing and after a couple of blinks it just stops and refuses to read the disc

theres no activity whatsoever

its a new drive purchased a couple of months back

please help

thanks in advance

Relevancy 45.15%

My Sony DVD Drive was functioning correctly with Nero, but now it is not reading when a DVD or CD is in the drive. In the beginning, sometimes it read but later nothing was seen. I tried to burn with windows, but shows that it is also not working. What happened to my DVD drive. Can anybody give practical advise?

A:Dvd drive is not reading

Maybe the DVD or CD disks wich you insert to your DVD drive are old or broken?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-drive-is-not-reading.779124/
Relevancy 45.15%

Right when i'm about to sell my emachines, the DVd/CD-RW drive is not reading CD disks. :suspiciou I've never had a problem since I have had this computer, and im not sure what to do.

Earlier I shut my computer off manually by pushing the button, and since then my drive has not been reading CD's.

I put in "The Day After Tomorrow" DVD and it reads it fine, but every CD I try doesnt work. I got ONE CD to work, but after I stopped it... it didnt work again.

Has anyone had this problem? or does anyone know what I can do to fix this? :knock:

This is really, REALY bad.

A:Help! DVD/CD-RW Drive not reading CD's

i think you're drive is screwed up.you'll have to get ti repaired,this doesnt sound like any diy issue.however you might want to remove and then reinstall the drivers for your drives.also check your data cable etc at the back.but this sounds like it'll need repair since it can play dvd's and not cd's.my advice if its not under any warranty,then use it as long as you can to play dvd's consider getting a different cheaper drive for cds or change it completely.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/help-dvd-cd-rw-drive-not-reading-cds.22217/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi Everyone,

I have noticed that my DVD Drive is unable to read any of my CD's but all my DVD's are read perfectly by the drive. I have enabled AHCI and installed Intel Rapid Storage drivers post that. What seems to be the problem? Is it because of AHCI? Are there anyone who faces the same thing after enabling AHCI?

I cant deny the fact that my read write and boot performance have improved a lot after enabling AHCI. Valuable suggestions and feedback really appreciated.

Regards

A:DVD Drive not reading CD's

Do you have any virtual drive software installed?

Have you deleted any of you upper or lower filters?

http://www.sevenforums.com/performance-maintenance/80796-dvd-drive-not-reading-cds.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I have a Compaq Presario SR NX Desktop PC Up until a month ago I was able to use my disk drive I put a cd or dvd in the drive it blinks for a few seconds then nothing The device mananger says everything is working properly When I try to burn something it tells drive not anything reading CD/DVD me to insert a disk when there is one in the drive already I have cleaned it with canned air I have uninstalled and reinstalled I have unplugged it I spent over an hour on the phone with HP tech support talking to someone I couldn t understand and it cost me When I first CD/DVD drive not reading anything told my problem they said it was a settings thing They had me deleting things and downloading things When it didn t work they wanted me to do a system recovery I know there has to be a way to correct the problem without losing everything CD/DVD drive not reading anything on my computer Please help nbsp

A:CD/DVD drive not reading anything

Does the drive show in "my computer"?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-dvd-drive-not-reading-anything.816637/
Relevancy 45.15%

I am having a problem with a PC where when I start it up it gives me the following message:

'Data Error Reading Drive C
Abort, Retry, Fail?'

Any ideas if this is definitely the harddrive that has failed or can it possibly be something else that is causing the problem?

Thanks,
Tammy

Relevancy 45.15%

A colleague has a problem with a drive. It won't read CD's he puts in except Encarta. Once Encarta has been run, it will read the others. He has been adviced to take Autorun setting off, but on re-booting his pc, it re-sets itself. Anyone got any ideas

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/drive-not-reading-cds.185635/
Relevancy 45.15%

My Inspiron 6000 (windows xp) does not recognize drive d: (dvd rom)
Thanks.

A:reading cd drive

not connected properly need to go in and either put power or data cable in

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/reading-cd-drive-305713.html
Relevancy 45.15%

I have a Ricoh cd rw mp7040a and it seems to be working fine except when certain cds are put in it. I have recently formatted my hard drive and installed windows 2000. When i put one of these certain cds in it makes different noises than normal and eventually the busy light goes off and it continues making noises. While its doing this my computer runs very slow. If i push eject it takes longer than normal for the cd to come out but after it comes out the computer returns to normal speed. The cds im having problems with are memorex cd rw's that i have used before under my windows 98 operating system. And also the cd that came with this drive wont work in it. All these cds work fine in my toshiba dvd drive.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-rw-drive-not-reading-some-cds.47076/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi,

My DVD/CD-RW Drive has suddenly stopped recognising blank rewritable discs. CD-R discs are working with no problems at all. Can anyone offer me some advice to what the problem could be?

Thanks for any help.

A:DVD/CD-RW Drive not reading CD-RW's

One possibility: Does this coincide with a change of media brands on your part. (Did you buy a new brand of RWs?)

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-cd-rw-drive-not-reading-cd-rws.419928/
Relevancy 45.15%

I have a CD/DVD drive that i've had for a while, and now it wont read anything. i'll put in a disk and click "DVD drive 'E'", then it'll say, "Please insert a disk into the "E" Drive." (as if it doesn't know one's in there)

I have installed quite a few drive emulators and then deleted them in the past, and i might have accidentally deleted the wrong drive.

my dvd/cd drive is the only drive on my computer. (besides the floppy and USB ports).

how might i get my drive working again?

A:DVD/CD drive not reading CDs

By the sound of that, I'd say your DVD/CD Drive its dead Time for a new one

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/dvd-cd-drive-not-reading-cds-183981.html
Relevancy 45.15%

Recently for some reason my drive isn t reading CDs When I place a CD into the drive the flashing green light goes on for a while so I know it s being powered but after a while it cuts off and nothing happens on not CD Drive reading CDs my screen I checked the My Computer area and it doesn t have the CD listed either Because of this I can t install things from CDs back up information from CDs listen to music or watch DVDs I m CD Drive not reading CDs not getting any kind of error codes or anything Quite simply nothing happens at all Edit I should probably point out that I tried the regedit editing walkthrough that was posted in a similar topic about CDs not being read This did not work I ll post my stats in case it will help EVEREST Home Edition - Lavalys Inc -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Version EVEREST v Homepage http www lavalys com Report Type Report Wizard Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional WinXP Retail Date - - Time Summary -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Computer Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional OS Service Pack Service Pack DirectX DirectX c Motherboard CPU Type AMD Athlon MHz x Motherboard Name Unknown Motherboard Chipset ATI Radeon Xpress AMD Hammer System Memory MB PC DDR SDRAM BIOS Type AMI Communication Port Communications Port COM Communication Port Communications Port COM Communication Port Printer Port LPT Display Video Adapter GeForce GT MB Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce GT MB D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce GT PCI-E Monitor SyncMaster BW SyncMaster CX BW Digital NoDB HVZP Monitor Plug and Play Monitor NoDB HVZP Multimedia Audio Adapter ATI SB - AC Audio Controller Storage IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller IDE Controller Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller SCSI RAID Controller SCSI RAID Host Controller Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive Disk Drive Generic USB SM Reader USB Device Disk Drive Generic USB CF Reader USB Device Disk Drive SAMSUNG SP N GB RPM Ultra-ATA Disk Drive Maxtor D H GB RPM Ultra-ATA Disk Drive Generic USB SD Reader USB Device Disk Drive Generic USB MS Reader USB Device SMART Hard Disks Status OK Partitions C NTFS MB MB free D NTFS MB MB free Total Size GB GB free Input Keyboard Standard -Key or Microsoft Natural PS Keyboard Mouse Microsoft PS Mouse Game Controller Microsoft PC-joystick driver Network Network Adapter Realtek RTL Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC Modem Lucent Win Modem Peripherals Printer Canon MP Printer USB Controller ATI SB - USB Controller USB Controller ATI SB - USB Controller USB Controller ATI SB - USB Controller USB Device USB Human Interface Device USB Device USB Mass Storage Device Click to expand nbsp

A:CD Drive not reading CDs

Probably Your pc don`t "see" a drive.
Click on Start|Settigs|control panel|system|Device manager|dvd\cd - rom drives|

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-drive-not-reading-cds.707637/
Relevancy 45.15%

Hi I bough a new laptop weeks ago Asus with windows and decide it was the time to install Microsoft office today what a surprise the CD drive can't read anything I've tried CD DVD and Blue ray nothing work Basically when I click on the DVD RW drive it open the DVD reader and said lt please insert disc into drive gt Then it start reading for seconds stop before opening anything and bring me back the same error lt please insert disc into drive gt like if there was nothing in the drive I think the drive itself is functional it is only a reading issue I found some tips but nothing work for me I tried - the Microsoft fix it scan and everything i found on Microsoft support website Troubleshooting ended saying lt CD DVD drive is not readable not fixed gt -Drive properties says lt this device is working properly gt -update lt drive is up to date gt -to deleted upper and lower filters and restart the computer what do please help and by the way I have basic knowledge about computer so I need full explanations

A:CD/DVD drive not reading

That drive is most possibly faulty and needs replacing. It should be covered by the warranty and you should return it ASAP.

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/259075-cd-dvd-drive-not-reading.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hey there DvD reading disks drive Drive (I:)) (BD-ROM not Recently after receiving my computer after it being worked on a bit my computer hasn't been reading Cds and DvDs There hasn't been many things done to the computer after it being worked on RAM clocked to normal speed dust cleaning DvD drive (BD-ROM Drive (I:)) not reading disks That's about it The drive is being recognized in both Device Manager and Disk Manager and I'm DvD drive (BD-ROM Drive (I:)) not reading disks pretty certain that the IDE and power cables are connected correctly I've been in Regedit and deleted the Upper filter in regedit but with no success I've tried many different sources on how to fix the issue but none have worked even the Microsoft Fix-it tool A source on how to check if it works through the BIOS but truth be told I have no clue how to check it within the BIOS I'm not really that good with the computer quot itself quot I only know how to enter BIOS really Here's my system specs thanks for the little handy System info tool I'll be using it from now on Intel R Core TM i CPU GHz ASUSTeK Computer INC SABERTOOTH X BIOS Date Ver Memory GB Usable GB HDD WDC WD EARS- MVWB ATA Device Generic USB CF Reader USB Device Generic USB MS Reader USB Device Generic USB SD Reader USB Device Generic USB SM Reader USB Device Soundcard AMD High Definition Audio Device High Definition Audio Device ATI Radeon HD Microsoft Windows Professional -bit Multiprocessor Free Service Pack Thanks for any help

A:DvD drive (BD-ROM Drive (I:)) not reading disks

What is the status of the drive in the Device Manager? Does it show an error code or does it show working OK?

If has a code, post back with the code. If it shows working OK, RIGHT click on the entry for the drive and then LEFT click "Uninstall". Then restart the PC and when Windows starts it should detect and reinstall it.

If its not showing up at all, check the cables on the rear of the drive, both the data and the power cable (and both ends of the data cable) as one of the cable could have been disturbed/disconnected during the cleanup.

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/244105-dvd-drive-bd-rom-drive-i-not-reading-disks.html
Relevancy 44.72%

I m having problems burning DVD s at first I thought it was software problems come to find out my computer wasn t reading my DVD nor CD drive nor my external DVD burner drives I received an error while attempting to burn DVD s it said it was a quot reading a is CD DVD as drive Computer drive my Code quot so I looked it up on the Microsoft web page and it told me to uninstall my drives in the device manager there was an exclamation mark next to my three drives and then reinstall them I did and the computer reinstalled them and the exclamation marks were still there So then I tried the second option and it told me to delete my upper filter and lower filter I think that s what it was called and I did and that worked BUT the computer Computer is reading my DVD drive as a CD drive is reading my external DVD burner as a CD Drive J instead of DVD Now because of that I m not able to burn my DVD s because the decrypter is stating that it doesn t recognize and drivers to perform the operation So if anybody could give me help I d greatly appreciate BTW I have windows XP Home Edition if that makes any difference Thank You Adrian nbsp

A:Computer is reading my DVD drive as a CD drive

go to the manufactuer's website and download the appropriate drivers

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/computer-is-reading-my-dvd-drive-as-a-cd-drive.36101/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello all i recently got hold of a laptop free its a viglen T laptop specs Pentium III ghz mb RAM Win SE Basically the cd drive did not work it would be detected in bios and would show in windows under my computer but if you double click on the drive it would display the message Cd drive is not accesble please try again I tried booting with a XP Pro cd and it did not rekonise the cd I have bought a new cd drive and got PC WORLD uk main pc store to fit it This cost and i have just got back to CD LAPTOP CD's READING NOT DRIVE test it and its not working same problem I forgot to take my power lead to PC WORLD so they could not test it themselves i agreed to let LAPTOP CD DRIVE NOT READING CD's them do the work without testing LAPTOP CD DRIVE NOT READING CD's i kno my bad My question is does anyone know what is wrong with it I now know how to fit these myself so if it involves going into the laptop i will not hesitate Please please please help me i need this to install format the hdd as its in such a mess Thanks alot in advance Moka nbsp

A:LAPTOP CD DRIVE NOT READING CD's

If a new drive still will not work with all the correct connections, then you have a motherboard issue - plain and simple. You will then need to replace the motherboard. This may not make economic sense to spend this amount of money.... consider it carefully.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/laptop-cd-drive-not-reading-cds.76664/
Relevancy 44.72%

I really don't know what happened.
One day I asked my father to put in a new hard drive (i think) for more space on my computer so I could download all of my sims series.
After he did so, my computer wouldn't read disks!
This happened about a couple months ago, I still have not found my problem!
I have looked at tutorials on youtube, but I do not have 'upperfilters and lowerfilters' as i have checked and every tutorial I have found told me to delete those files BUT I DON'T HAVE THEM!
My parents have told me this is my last computer and there not buying me a new one :( so I really need help. Any sugestions? I am running Windows XP (Version 5.1.2600)

A:CD Drive not reading disks

have a look in device manager to see if there are any yellow exclamation marks against the cd drive, the driver may need updating. Also try updating the chipset driver. Another initial thought is the cd software - what software do you use on the pc to play/create cd's?

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f10/cd-drive-not-reading-disks-598205.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi, my USB Drive was reading 1.99TB when it's only 4gb. It wouldn't let me format it, so I unplugged it and plugged it back into a different USB port, now it's reading the correct size, except the name is a bunch of symbols, and it still won't format. Any ideas?

A:4GB USB Drive reading 1.99TB

I had something similar happen on a 1GB stick a couple of years ago, it was a cheapie I'd purchased at a "bargain" price. Someone explained that the memory can go bad after being used for many cycles. (for want of a better term). I've also heard the cheap memory drives are built with used chips.

Don't know if your drive is an off brand, if not, I'd contact the manufacturer. Also, go to the manufacturers website and see if they have any formatting software for the drive.

Ap

http://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/83155-4gb-usb-drive-reading-1-99tb.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Long story short last night I DVD drive stops reading? burned a fresh DVD On the main directory there are folders of them are movies and the th folder contains about other documents txt php tpl gif etc amongst several sub-folders When I put the DVD into any DVD drive stops reading? computer I ve tried my laptop and desktop and my brothers computers it stops reading after a minute or so I can still open up the folders with the movies in them and even watch the movies but the th folder just doesn t open at all I can t open it copy it from the DVD to my hard drive nor even right click it to see the properties I know the files were burned successfully because I checked the size of the space used on the DVD and it all adds up right I assume the drive stops reading the DVD because there s just too many files to read index Is there anyway I can get around this Is there anyway to force the drive to not stop reading Or does anyone know any way I can retrieve those files I really need them Here is a screenshot http vgcache com datas images -ruhroh jpg nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-drive-stops-reading.879134/
Relevancy 44.72%

He guys,

I added a new 80 gig hard drive to my PC last week, during which - I changed the bios settings for the boot order of my devices - I was told by a mate that if I loaded my XP home cd I could run chdisk to find the new hard drive...

To make a long story short - Got Hard drive sorted but my CDROM is now apearing as a DVD Drvie - not a CD-R...

In my bios under CDROM - It does not recognise my Sony Drive.

I've checked all connections within the tower, unistalled the DVD driver in device manager and rebooted - No change.

In my Compuet - Clone Drive is listed - ????

and it doesn't recognise any CDs

HELP!!!

I've an ASUS Motherboard, 1900 XP Athalon, 640 MB SDRAM, XP Home, Sony CD-R

A:CDROM Drive not reading

is the cdrom and the harddrive on the same ribbon cable

if so- the harddrive needs to be jumpered to master and the cdrom needs to be jumpered as a slave

good luck

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cdrom-drive-not-reading.178619/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a Memorex DVD 16+/-DL4RID2 USB external DVD burner and it was working just fine until the other day when my computer stopped recognizing it was a burner. If i put in a DVD movie it reads it and lets me play it but if i put in a blank DVD it just comes up CD drive on the my computer screen. Also DVD decrypter and DVD shrink will not allow me to select it when I go to burn a disk. I have Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 and the Computer is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4600+ and the mother board is Asus M2N-MX SE Plus. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-burner-reading-as-cd-drive.820688/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi,
i am having problems with my dvd drive it is a Phillips DVDRW DVD8631.
I have tried everything i can think of, there are no problems stated on the control panel.
When inserting a dvd or cd it doesnt sound like it is spinning properly... i bought a lens cleaner just in case it was that but i can't even operate this as it doesnt recognise anything is in the drive..

if anyone has any suggestions i would greatly appreciate some help!!! if you need to know anything else please let me know..

Thanks
Roe

A:Dvd Drive Not Reading Cds Or Dvds

Have you gone to the manufacturers website, and updated to the latest drivers for that drive?Have you tried going into the Device Manager, uninstall the player, reboot, and see if windows will recognize it?Were there any error messages?If so, what was the exact error message?

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/72082/dvd-drive-not-reading-cds-or-dvds/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi, I am using windows XP on my 3 yr old acer aspire 5551 laptop.
the dvd r/w drive was working fine reading writing dvds / cds until recently...
now its reading and writing all dvds perfectly. however, all home burnt cds are being recognized as either blank cds or music cds and no files are displayed (except the default track).
this is happening only for cds i have burnt myself (these cds used to work perfectly few months back and work perfectly in other machines even now). cds bought commercially have no issues.

any idea what the issue is? n how can i solve it???

Ps. i have recently reinstalled my OS also, but the issue persists.
Is this possibly some virus?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-r-w-drive-reading-dvds-but-not-cds.811616/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi I am helping a friend as her computer refuses to load Windows The first thing I did was check that her files were in tact - I used a Acronis Rescue disk and was delighted to see that the files are all there so I helped her to back them up to an external hard drive as she hadn t done that recently I then did a not XP Setup drive reading the disk scan using Linux Mint and it said it found bad sectors and then said the disk had quot Failed quot the read test so I told her the hard drive was faulty and would need to be replaced as soon as possible and then Windows reinstalled Despite the disk error which seemed minor as it only mentioned bad sectors I thought I could re-load Windows XP for the time being so she could use it for a little while until she could afford the repair or to replace the computer However for some reason Windows setup can see the hard drive with the correct size but says it s quot unknown quot and says that all the space is free ie there are no files on it But this is clearly wrong as both Acronis recovery disk and Linux Mint could both see XP Setup not reading the drive the entire contents of the drive How comes Windows XP Setup says the drive is unformatted and empty when the other programs say the file structure is XP Setup not reading the drive perfectly in tact I do hope you can help me Regards Julia

A:XP Setup not reading the drive

<<How comes Windows XP Setup says the drive is unformatted and empty ... when the other 2 programs say the file structure is perfectly in tact ??>>

IME, this normally occurs when the hard drive itself is functionally sound...but the partition structure is damaged. More on this at RAW Volume (Quietman) - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=36698 .

Typically, I just delete the volume and create a new one and reinstall Windows...but there are tools (such as TestDisk) which others have used to successfully repair such volumes (although I've not had success myself with such).

Hang on and I will see if I can get someone more knowledgeable to take a look .

Louis

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/464074/xp-setup-not-reading-the-drive/
Relevancy 44.72%

Im using a lite-on combo sohc-5236c , DVD-CDRW rom drive. For some reason, the drive can't read CD of any type but it can read DVD and DVD-R cds. I don't know why cause this is a new drive (got it during christmas) and I hardly even use the drive since I make virtual cds of my games and stuff and use virtual drives.
What can be causing this problem of not reading CD but read DVDs?

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi there I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop with windows and the DVD drive is not working at all I have tried with brand new DVDs music CDs any My reading CD/DVDs drive not DVD Help! is and video games and none of them work When I put in a disc there are a few Help! My DVD drive is not reading any CD/DVDs wurring noises but nothing loads up When I click on the drive in Computer the drive opens and tells me to insert a disc In properties and Device Manager it says the device is working properly I have tried reinstalling the drive deleting upper and lower filters and I have run the Windows Fixit program and nothing has worked so far My drive is TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L C ATA Device My computer is about a year old and is completely standard I have hardly used the DVD driver at all since I purchased the computer so I have no idea how it could have broke Please give me any solutions which may fix this frustrating problem Thanks

A:Help! My DVD drive is not reading any CD/DVDs

Lidmania,
Welcome to SevenForums.

Fix problems with CD or DVD drives that can

Microsoft Fix it Solution Center: troubleshooting software issues

http://www.sevenforums.com/drivers/245318-help-my-dvd-drive-not-reading-any-cd-dvds.html
Relevancy 44.72%

My computer is a Hewlett Packard, Windows XP about 16 months old and runs great. Only problem, about 4 months ago it just stopped reading the CD's. For example, In "My Computer" it simply notes the drive as being empty, as if I don't have a CD in there. If I need to run a program from CD, it'll say "insert into drive" when the CD is already there. Even when I click on it there's no track listing. I have tried various types of media, old CD's, new CD's, blank CDR, burned CDR. Is this a problem that needs to be sent to a tech?

Relevancy 44.72%

CD/DVD drive not reading any discs.Recently, i am having this new problem. The drive name is HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NS95 ATA.
If i click the DVD drive symbol,it says insert disc like there is no disc inside the CPU but there is..
The problem didn't get solved using Microsoft Fix it tool.I also uninstalled the drive and restarted PC,that didn't worked as well.
Mostly the solution for this problem i noted in multiple sites is - Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}.
and to delete the "UpperFilters" or "LowerFilters".
I don't have "UpperFilters" or "LowerFilters". My drive is new so there can't be problem with the Drive.What else can be the problem ?

A:CD/DVD drive not reading discs

This happened to me a few years ago.  In your post you said, "I also uninstalled the drive and restarted PC,that didn't worked as well".  You didn't say if you reinstalled the software.  If you didn't, reinstall the software and try it again.  If that doesn't work, try this -- it worked for me.  Go into the device Manager in the control panel, and delete the CD/DVD drive, and reboot.  They system should then see the "new" device and then "install" it.  Like I said, this was a few years ago, and on WIN7.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/525431/cddvd-drive-not-reading-discs/
Relevancy 44.72%

That's about it. I tried troubleshooting and followed all of the steps I could such as uninstalling the drive and reinstalling it. But after all of the steps it said I had a problem that couldn't be resolved. This just happened all of a sudden and I've never had a problem with it reading or playing cd's. It says in device manager that it's working properly but I'm pretty sure its lying. I don't really want to buy another one because they are expensive and I just don't understand why it stopped working. I have an hp pavillion ze4400 laptop if that matters.

A:CD drive not reading discs

Same problem here. My DVD ROM failed 2 nights ago. No solution yet. Whenever I install a DVD or any other CD, and then click on the drive at Windows Explorer, it says, "Please insert a disk into drive D:"

I'd like to know if you find a solution.

One reply said to another post with the same problem suggested to check the optics in the drive (???). I don't know how to do that.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-drive-not-reading-discs.283437/
Relevancy 44.72%

I finished upgrading from Vista to Window Home Premium -bit on my Toshiba Satellite L -S laptop today I had to delete iTunes prior to the upgrade and reinstalled it afterward When I put in a CD I can hear the drive spin and try to read the disc and I even see my cursor change back and forth between a pointer and a CD But then it eventually decides there s nothing in the drive and stops I ve gone into the device manager and tried to upgrade the Win after Drive 7 CD/DVD CD's upgrade not reading software only to continually get the message that the software is up to date I have searched the internet for drivers and cannot find one The drive is a Mat a UJ- ES DVD RAM Not finding any fixes on Toshiba website Windows support or Panasonic website aka Mat a I ve seen instructions for removing info from the registry but it all pertains to Vista or CD/DVD Drive not reading CD's after Win 7 upgrade XP not to Win Has anyone else experienced this issue and or have any idea how to fix nbsp

A:CD/DVD Drive not reading CD's after Win 7 upgrade

Try opening Device Manager. Unistall the drive from device manager. Close Device Manager, Reboot the computer. You will get a Found New Hardware notice, this is the OS finding the Drive and installing the Native Driver for it. Sometimes the Driver gets corrupt, and this can be a fix for this problem.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-dvd-drive-not-reading-cds-after-win-7-upgrade.888344/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello I have an Asus K IJ with a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GT N ATA device running Windows Home Premium -bit It reads commercial DVDs and DVD-Rs with no problem However when I insert DVD-RWs that I know has data on it it does not read them I am just prompted to insert a disc when I attempt an action According to the quot self-troubleshooting quot the device is working properly and it has the latest drivers I conducted a search online for newer drivers but the two I tried did not work one was for a Dell Inspiron and one from the ASUS page - http support asus com download do ical Disk Drive Firmware amp SLanguage en-us amp os File Name HLDS GT N ODD Firmware did not work I m not even Asus DVD/CD not reading DVD-RW drive sure if they are the correct ones Any information on where I might be able to find a correct newer drive or another fix would be greatly appreciated Thank you nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

Hello All

I have a HP omnibook 6000, 600mhz, 256RAM, XP sp2
Norton Systemworks, Its on a LAN

I am noticing that at times the HD is constantly seeking??(reading)...even when I am not doing anything. Like something is running in the background.
I am not very knowledgeable of the processes in the task manager window but I do know if I see something a little out of the ordinary, so everything looks fine.

Whats funny is while I am typing this email it has stopped, but it is something that have my (watchout!!!!!!!) antennas up

Anyone have any suggestions, recommendations????
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

A:Hard Drive reading even when its not being used

Unless it is constant, that's not abnormal. Windows does internal management and System Restore may also be archiving data when the computer is otherwise idle.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/hard-drive-reading-even-when-its-not-being-used.357166/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have had this laptop for several years but recently the cd dvd drive has stopped reading discs In the past couple of months it has gone from sometimes reading a disc to not reading any disc I try putting in I have tried using different discs and lately it has not been reading any of the ones I try I have tried uninstalling the driver and restarting my computer but that hasn t helped reading CD/DVD not drive discs I tried to update the driver from the device CD/DVD drive not reading discs manager but it just tells me that I have the current version From what I can remember I started noticing the problem soon after I installed VLC media player but I m not sure how to determine if that is causing the issue or not CD/DVD drive not reading discs I have also tried to delete the Upper Filters from the registry but I can t find the files named quot Upper Filter quot or quot Lower Filter quot Earlier this week a co-worker suggested I try one a cleaning cd that has little brushes on it to clean the lens in the drive but I am a little hesitant about that but I am willing to CD/DVD drive not reading discs try it Just last night I tried wiping the lens with a cotton swab Q-tip with a little bit of rubbing alcohol on it to see if that would help but I am still having trouble today My computer is a Dell Insprion running Windows -bit In the device manager under DVD CD-ROM Drives it has quot HL-DT-ST DVD -RW GT N quot If there is any other information that would help I will do my best to find it but I am not very computer-literate Thanks for taking the time to read through all this nbsp

A:CD/DVD drive not reading discs

First see if you can boot your computer from CD. If you can't, then your drive is shot

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-dvd-drive-not-reading-discs.200504/
Relevancy 44.72%

I am trying to install new game software (it is form of a DVD, not a CD). When I put the DVD disc into the drive nothing is happening. My system seems to not recognize the fact that there is a disc inserted. I try to run it manually but it says there are no discs inserted.
I then tested a couple of regular DVDs to see if they would play. Some of them will play just fine, and some won't...same thing happening with a couple of them.
Any ideas what could be wrong?
The game software i'm trying to install is the WOW expansion WOTLK.

Thanks.

Dell Dimension 1100 B110
Windows XP.
16x DVD rom drive

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-drive-not-reading-some-discs.769275/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have a Samsung DVD-Rom SD-616E SCSI that used to play dvd's just fine, but about a month ago it stopped, it reads cd's just fine but no dvd's of any kind. The region is correct and I can not update firmware (from samsung site) because it came with my dell computer. The dvd's ive tried work in my other drive.

A:Dvd drive not reading dvd roms

i had that drive in my dell, the tray got to where it wouldn't open half the time, so i just bought a new samsung dvd burner, less than $30!! dump the drive & get a new one

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-drive-not-reading-dvd-roms.541549/
Relevancy 44.72%

My cd/dvd drive will not read any disc. I have done several troubleshooting methods, nothing has worked. I can not do a hardware diagnostic test because my drive acts like there is not cd/dvd in it. How can I tell if the drive needs to be relpaced or if there is another problem.

Relevancy 44.72%

Ok my girlfriends computer has stopped writing DVDs recently so ive been checking it and hae run out of Ideas its reading DVDRW drive not a basic computer I-Friend ram ghz GB hdd W PSU I have added USB ports to it through a PCI card and replaced the CDRW with a DVDRW no other upgrades it worked fine set as sec master for DVDRW drive not reading a few months now the computer freezes when she tries to read write with the cd logo flashing on the mouse I have tried the old CDRW this does the same and gives an error saying the disks need formatting I have tried swapping the cable this didnt work i have swapped the drives around running them as pri master and slave sec master and slave I have adjusted the jumpers and basically tried every scenario with no luck at all It is all set ok in the BIOS and i know the controllers are ok as the HDD works fine on both I have also tried win boot disk to see if the drives are recognised in dos but am just getting CD errors I know both drives are working and that both cables are ok and also tht the hdd works on both I have also made sure all jumpers on MoBo are set up OK What else can I check nbsp

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvdrw-drive-not-reading.289184/
Relevancy 44.72%

tried other DVDs and CDs but it wont read them. I did not make any hardware changes but I did stop a removable disk by mistake but it loaded back when I started up again. I dont know if it matters but when i use the DVD drive short cut that I put on my desktop it says it is looking for the DVD drive. But when I use the DVD drive icon in my Computer it says to insert a disk. When I check hardware manager it says drive is working properly. Any other suggestions

A:DVD Drive not reading DVDs

Forum Rules: Don't post duplicate threads.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-drive-not-reading-dvds.816781/
Relevancy 44.72%

I am wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of this problem:
Every time I insert a game CD (in my case, Age of Empires II: The Conquerors) into my Windows ME hardrive (note that it only has I D:/ drive, and does not have a DVD player), it reads the CD as an Audio CD and plays in the Media player, but soon comes up with an error message because it is not a valid Audio CD. I try many CDs, but it always comes up the same. Do any of you know how to get my computer to read the D:/ drive as a normal game?

A:CD Drive reading CDs as Audio CDs

Hi,

That's weird.
Can you read the data off your CD-rom after closing the error?

If you can't, open Device Manager, uncheck "Auto Insert Notification" under setting tab of your CD-Rom Drive. Try reading contents in WinExplorer.

TJ

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-drive-reading-cds-as-audio-cds.102296/
Relevancy 44.72%

Before I recently reinstalled XP and formatted my HD, my DVD drive would read CD-Rs fine (I also have a CD writer, so I'd copy on the fly). Now it only reads DVDs. I searched the manufacturer's site for firmware and drivers and none are available. I also uninstalled the drive and rebooted to let the system find it and install it with no luck. The drive doesn't even spin up when I insert a CDR or audio CD, it just ejects it after about 30 seconds. In device manager, I "enabled digital CD audio for this CD-ROM device" and the "device is working properly". I have SP2 if that matters. Do I need a DVD program like Win DVD to detect CDRs? Thanks for any help you can give

Creative PC-DVD 12x Ovation (model #DVD124xE) 40x read

A:DVD drive not reading CD-R or audio CDs

http://www.cdrom-drivers.com/drivers/264/264044.htm

Give this a shot.

Good luck.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-drive-not-reading-cd-r-or-audio-cds.332222/
Relevancy 44.72%

Ok, here's my latest problem: the CD-RW drive is not reading any CDs. The drive does power on, and does eject the CD when I press the button, but it won't ready any type of CD (audio, or data). I tried to upgrade the firmware to rectify the situation but still no luck. Any suggestions? Is it possible that the laser lens is dirty?

A:CD Drive not reading disks

Boot with a bootable floppy disk that has cdrom support...windows 98 boot disk or higher.......choose cdrom support from the menu, then pop a cd in the cdrw and see if you can get a directory on it........the cdrw will be one letter higher than where you are used to seeing it now.......so, at the a: prompt, type

(example)

E:
and press enter

then type
dir
and press enter.......

do you get an error message or a listing?

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-drive-not-reading-disks.94933/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hey all,
My laptop pc's 8x drive seems not to read or burn at that speed...

Nero says it burns at that speed but it is actually about 2x-4x... (30mins to burn a dvd )

In burning cd's the drive works fine, even at high speeds..but not with dvd's...
Also when reading dvd's and copying say 4.7GB to the harddrive that takes 30mins+ as well...

Is there are way to solve this other than contacting manufacturer (HP)? Cuz i'd have to post the laptop to another country and i don't want to

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi,
I have a relatively new dell inspiron laptop. I've been using it pretty constantly for the past 2 months.
I'm now trying to upload some of my CDs onto it and the cd drive is not reading anything that I put into it. It makes the spund like it recognises that there is a cd in there, then I can hear it spin a little, say for 5 - 7 seconds, before it makes the same sound as it did when I first put it in. After that - nothing.
Has anybody experienced this and can you offer me any advice?
I have next to no computer knowledge, so I thank you for any help you might be able to give me.
Duncan

A:CD Drive not reading any discs. Can anyone help please?

Try using one of those cheap CD cleaner kits. They are available at any major supermarket and have instructions printed on the box.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-drive-not-reading-any-discs-can-anyone-help-please.133228/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hi All,

Our new Mesh computer has stopped recognising dvds/cds when we put them into the drive. The drive still exists on the driver manager list and the drivers themselves are up to date, but whenever you insert a dvd into the drive it can't see it. It says the drive is empty (when it isn't!). We have a new Christmas present to install, so would be very grateful for any advice as to how to sort out the problem.

We're running Windows Vista home premium...

Many thanks.

Relevancy 44.72%

I can't figure this out. Lately I've been having this problem where sometimes my drive reads CD's and DVD's and some time it doesn't. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. I can restart my computer several times and still nothing. Then I can turn it on and the drive is fine.

Any idea how this problem can come and go? It's really starting to make me crazy. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Mike

PS - my computer specs are in my sig.

A:Problem with drive reading CD's and DVD's

It sounds like the drive is just dying. It might also be dirty. Try a drive cleaning kit (may or may not work) or take the drive apart and clean the laser with alcohol and a Q-tip (this will definitely work).

What is this, the week for optical drives to kick the bucket

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/problem-with-drive-reading-cds-and-dvds.509876/
Relevancy 44.72%

sorry if trouble having reading DVD drive DVD's this is in the wrong place and stuff but I was just looking for quick help - my computer is kinda old built from random parts by a friend so I don t know much about it and I don t know a lot about computers The DVD drive is having problems recognizing DVD s CD s DVD drive having trouble reading DVD's are fine when I enter a DVD you can hear the drive is trying to read it and SOMETIMES it DVD drive having trouble reading DVD's does it fine and is recognized in my computer but other times it just DVD drive having trouble reading DVD's stays DVD-RW DRIVE i have tried uninstalling the drive and reinstalling it looking for firmware updates and booting in safe mode clean state mode etc but it always struggles to read DVD s I also tried editing the Primary IDE channels in the Device manager to PIO only DMA if available to experiment and see if it helped but no joy do you think it s just a case of the laser that reads DVD s has given up ps im using windows XP thanks nbsp

A:DVD drive having trouble reading DVD's

Sounds like hardware to me.
These drives fail frequently and are cheap and easy to rep[lace.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-drive-having-trouble-reading-dvds.159052/
Relevancy 44.72%

Was working OK then I accidently inserted a CDR with the clear acetate disc from the bottom of the pack, First the program (Ashampoo Burning Studio 8) said can't identitfy media, I opened the tray and moved the disc around then it seemed to burn OK, when I took it out after burning I then realised what had happened. I then tried to burn the disc again and the program again said it couldn't identify the media, tried with four more discs and then replaced the drive with a spare which was the same!
Also tried with CDR/W, DVD, DVDR/W and with a different program (easy music burner free) and with windows data writer thing, which said it couldn't complete task.
updated all drivers and did a system restore. anyone got any Ideas please?

(Win XP Pro, emachines E4216, 3 GHz Duel core, 2 Gb RAM).

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/cd-drive-not-reading-media.849466/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have an ASUS F3Jr Notebook laptop with a HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GSA-T20N drive. Recently it has stopped reading discs that I put in. My computer recognises the drive but the drive does not load any discs in it. Any more information you need I can provide to help just ask
Thanks
tiger_hall

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/dvd-ram-drive-not-reading-disc.787003/
Relevancy 44.72%

I inserted my game disc as usual but the auto play never came up so I decided to go to my computer and run the disc manually but it told me there was no disc inserted into the drive. I tried several other discs (2 audio CDs, a blank dics and a DVD) and again it told me no disc was inserted, I went to device manager and it told me that the device was working properly and I tried rebooting several times but still it says 'no disc in drive' or 'please insert disc'. Somebody please help, by the way I use Vista.

A:CD/DVD drive is not reading any dics

You can try deleting the device from device manager and rebooting. Windows will load the drivers again and add the device back. If that doesn't work and you've tried known working discs then it may be time to replace the drive.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-dvd-drive-is-not-reading-any-dics.160071/
Relevancy 44.72%

my floppy drive is not reading disk. It says disk is not formatted. Disk is formatted and has info on it. I put disk in another computer and it works fine. I checked disk management and it says all is good. I then checked drivers and it says they are good i also tried to rollback driver and it sayed there was no driver to roll back to. I then whent in to bios and all looks good there. My floppy drive may be bad but i dont want to change it if it is something im over looking. The program is in Excel and the computer in question does have Excel on it. All help will be greatly appreciated.Thanks rick

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi,

Since I went to win8 my DVD drive does not read dvd's that I formated (in XP) & copied files in them, although they are read by the Vista Laptop's drive.

It reads program DVDs, even the ones I backed up in dvd's (formated in XP) of my own.

I noted that the DVD drive ist shown in win explorer if you click on "computer" but, not shown among the system drives, unless a program dvd is inserted.

Can you solve my mystery please.

Home build, Asus P5K Premium WiFiiFi Intel,
Intel Core 2 Quad Pro Q6600 95W 2.4GHz, OCZ Vendetta Cpu Cooler,
2x2GB, 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 800 (400mhz) PC2-6400,
EVGA GeForce 9800 GTX KO 512MB GDDR3 (PCI-E),
Seagate Barraguda sata 250gb, Corsair TX750M Psu, X45, XPhome/Win8

A:DVD drive not reading DVDs

Is the driver for the DVD loaded? Since this home built system. When you put in pre-recorded store purchased DVDs does it read those. What software are you using to read the DVDs. Try VLC make sure you have the video/audio codecs loaded for that Windows 8 box.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-drive-not-reading-dvds.197362/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello folks I have an odd problem My laptop s DVD-RW drive will not read a DVD-RW however it can read cdrom dvdroms dvd-r Rom dvd-rw DVD reading drive not Solved: cd-r cdrw etc According to nero i can burn the dvd-rw disc type but when i put one into the pc it just sits there churning the drive moving Solved: DVD Rom drive not reading dvd-rw the head etc and then just acts like no disc was put in and windows prompts for me to insert a disc What is going on here I know the disc is ok as my dad s laptop can read the disc perfectly fine I tried reinstalling the drivers for the drive to no avail and am at a loss as to what to do next Thanks for all help guys By the way the pc is running windows vista home premium bit on a dual core intel centrino GHZ with GB of ram the drive name is a long funky one but i do know its a hitachi Thanks for all help in advance nbsp

Relevancy 44.72%

Hi,

I just finished building my first pc and have booted it with a USB dvd drive connected, I have tried to put the windows 7 install disk in but it won't "suck" the disk in. I have tried creating a USB drive that I can boot from but when I select that to boot from and reset it doesn't boot from the drive.

I honestly have no idea what to do, can someone help me?

A:New build isn't reading from USB drive

If your build only has USB3 then it cant, W7 only recognises USB2 input.

IF usb3 follow this tutorial.
Create a Windows 7 USB flash installation with new drives for new MB's

Roy

http://www.sevenforums.com/installation-setup/401390-new-build-isnt-reading-usb-drive.html
Relevancy 44.72%

One of my friends drive in CD Burned not reading was over my house earlier burning some of her image files to a disc for me and everything works perfectly Burned CD not reading in drive fine in hers but when I put the CD in my own drive the computer recognizes that there s data on it but nothing will show up Here are some screen shots of the problem http i tinypic com nbbyab jpg - in the sidebar it says there s used space http i tinypic com gs x jpg - But says bytes once you click on the drive She s using Windows Vista s drag and drop method to burn CDs I have Windows and my burning method uses Nero Could this be a cross-platform problem This is the second time it s done this and Burned CD not reading in drive the third disc gone to waste I know that it s not the actual disc because everything works perfectly fine whenever I burn data to them my discs were able to be read by Windows Vista on another friend s PC and the disc she made worked fine on hers too The files are not hidden I have two CD drives- one is an external Memorex CD burner and the other is the main CD drive installed in the computer I ve tried it on both with no luck Help explain what s wrong please nbsp Burned CD not reading in drive

A:Burned CD not reading in drive

Is she burning the discs as multi-session instead of single session? It's been a while since I used Windows 98 but I seem to recall that it may have had problems reading multi-session discs even if they only had one session on them.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/burned-cd-not-reading-in-drive.860391/
Relevancy 44.72%

I have Windows Vista Home Basic and the Dvd Rom Drive has suddenly stopped reading any disk. It will start to spin the disk then it will just stop. The computer doesn't read as if the disk is there. What should I do to fix this problem? Would uninstalling the Driver then reinstalling it work or would that screw up other things?

A:Dvd/Cd-Rom Drive Not Reading Disks

I am having the same problem I tried the uninstall and reinstall didn't work but might for you. The computer doesn't show that there is a disk drive installed but it shows that it is working properly hope someone can help.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/dvd-cd-rom-drive-not-reading-disks.136442/
Relevancy 44.72%

pentium 2 with 98 wont read c: cmos confusion? maxtor 40 gig wont detect master ,can boot with floppy fdisk wont work no drive to format
jumped mother board no help
no fat partition but cant do anything with partion magic
hard drive screwed?
got cmos settings from maxtor no help
com had 2 gig maxtor with it and reformatted that drive no problem
cdrom seems to work fine and comes up as prime slave
i checked jumpers on drive as well
this is really becoming a big headache
hope your smarter than me
thanx for any help

A:com not reading hard drive

http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/m...tware Downloads/ATA Hard Drives&downloadID=58

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/com-not-reading-hard-drive.332265/
Relevancy 44.72%

Hello, recently I tried putting a CD into my Dell Studio 1537 just to play but it keeps making a sound like it's trying to run the disk but then gives out all of a sudden. When I tried to manually start it from the E: drive it just say "Please insert a a disc into drive E:." and ejects the disk. It also does the same thing for DVDs. I've tried to update the drive, which is named
TSSTcorp DVD+-RW TS-T633A ATA Device but it says it is up to date and working properly. Help would be appreciated.
Also, I'm running Vista Home Premium 64-bit, if that helps at all.

Thanks.

A:DVD RW Drive Isn't Reading Discs

if its doing a clunk-scrape sort of noise its probably a faulty actuator or dirty/faulty optical pickup. if thr pickup can be gotten to you can clean it a lens cleaner solution and a lintfree swab. rarely but sometimes you can restore the drive with a firmware update (not drivers) if its the actuator and its associated firmware playing up.
if its just reving up n down the pickup may dirty or faulty but it could be caused by rogue anti copying or drm software such as what sony has installed to some of it dvds/cds a year back, have you installed anything new lately?

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/280524-dvd-rw-drive-isnt-reading-discs.html
Relevancy 44.72%

Greetings,

Here's the deal; I have a Toshiba SD-R5272. Every time i put a piece of media in it (doesn't matter whether it's an audio CD, a DVD, a regular CD), nothing happens. It was working fine this morning. The computer froze up and I was forced to manually shut it off and since then, nothing. The drive icon is there in the my computer folder but when i open it, it's empty.. I've checked in the device manager and there are no conflicts. When I click on the properties, it says everything i s working for the drive. The little green light next to the ejector button blinks twice then stops every time i insert a CD/DVD. I have no clue what the problem could be. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

A:CD/DVD drive not reading media

Try removing the device in the device manger and reboot and see if windows picks them back up. If they don't you may have something else wrong / file corruption on windows.

You can also try [Run] sfc /checknow to scan and repair all your windows files (may require XP cd) in case some file were hosed when you had to shut down the pc.

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/cd-dvd-drive-not-reading-media.20988/